- Text Size +

Chapter 16: Research and Development

 

Little over a year had passed since Seattle’s fall. Belle had complete control over the United States, and she had received word this morning that her forces had received the last surrender from the South American territories. Canada and Mexico were long since conquered.

 

By now, all of the world had heard about her: the gigantic, brass, self-proclaimed god of a woman who seemed intent on conquering the world. The reports were too consistent, and respected leaders in Canada and Mexico had sent overseas missives early on during their conflicts. But, there was little they could do about it.

 

Belle was well over 15 miles tall.

 

On top of that, the only way to invade the Americas would be via sea. Dirigibles capable of overseas travel were still but a pipe-dream. Normal sea faring vessels could reach over, but then Belle’s airforce would be present, with the enemy’s absent. Her navies were formidable even without that, and of course Belle herself could simply walk to the coastline and stamp any so-called ‘threat’ out.

 

Belle herself wasn’t content to merely rule over the Americas. She was determined to be the god of all of humanity. She had the body, intelligence, and will for it after all.

 

She typically stayed near New York City. Her home while just human remained the closest thing one could call a home for her now. Her gigantic form typically stayed outside the city though, binging on prisoners shipped from the wars north and south, while continually investigating her body’s functions. She had grown ever more in-tune with herself, to the point that she considered her movements beyond human-equivalents of speed and fluidity. Her minibots were always hard at work improving her.

 

Belle called a meeting, which she had done now and then. This time, though, she insisted for the top scientists of her so-called “domain” to attend as well.

Chief officials her government made their way alongside top brass and top minds to a large circular platform out in the flatter lands close to New York City. Though the platform had a bit of a climb, being several dozen feet off the ground, it was shorter than Belle’s toes were tall.

 

To that end, Belle awaited them laying prone on her belly. Her army-flattening feet kicked back with her legs, while her head rested on crossed arms. With her youthful countenance, there was a sort of cuteness to how she oversaw some of her theocracy's officials.

 

Of course, when she spoke, the bellowing brass timbre of her booming voice made it clear she was no cutesy observer.

 

She was a god.

 

“Good morning everyone.”, she said, speaking over radio to them as well. Speakers were built into the platform for that purpose, even though she could interface with radio protocols simply with her mind. Her body could produce the needed waves with the tone of her voice intact, even if the volume was far more amicable to mortal ears.

 

“I’ve called you here not just to congratulate our ‘top brass’ for the recent successful campaigns in the southern continent, but also to announce we’re finally going to invade the rest of the world. It will a decisive, continuous campaign. To ensure its success, I want to create the much sought-after intercontinental airship at last. This is why you scientists and engineers are here. I’d like to refine my ideas.”

 

The people atop the platform screamed as Belle lowered her finger toward it. Her very finger was thicker than most buildings were tall, and it filled their view. The very tip of the digit opened up with elegance, and out came a swarm of moving brass machines. Human eyes had difficulty seeing their details, but they were in fact minibots. Belle had since gained the ability to control them directly, even ‘see’ with them, though that was still a little tricky for her.

 

The minibots swarmed the area immediately in front of those Belle had called to assemble. The throng of them clumped up for a moment, then spread out to reveal some models of airships, completely new to human eyes. The models were, of course, roughly the size of humans and not ‘to-scale’. Once done, the minibots swarmed back into Belle’s body via her finger, which quickly sealed its metal exterior back up.

 

“As you can see, I have some designs already. They will work, but I want them to be faster. I don’t suppose any of you have ideas?”, said Belle.

 

It was rather rare thing for her to ask for advice like this. The scientists and engineers fell over themselves trying to please their brass goddess: be it out of genuine admiration, or fear of being seen as less than useful.

 

One engineer spoke up.

 

“What about more propellers?”, he said.

 

Belle scoffed.

 

“Though that would increase speed, these are meant for war. Since there’s already propellers on the middle-back of gondola and balloon, I could only ever add them in pairs. If even one is shot that means the entire airship is now askew unless the associated member of the pair is also shut off. Too much of a liability and complexity issues to be worth it. I’d rather save the metal for more airships than more propellers.”

Some woman spoke up, wearing a white coat.

 

“What about the balloon size, or shape? Perhaps it could be adjusted?”

Belle made a grunting noise.

 

“Terrible suggestion. Do you think I haven’t optimized the topology myself?”

The woman trembled.

 

“W-what if it could be dynamically adjusted?”

“And how would that work?”, bellowed Belle. “We can expel air from the balloon during flight, but where will new dirigible-quality lifting gas come from? We can’t just suck it from the environment? Ambient ocean air isn’t lighter than air? How much fuel would it take to generate such gases via mechanisms within the airship itself? Did you really not think this idea through? Perhaps you just wanted to try and impress me or save face.”

“I-, B-but-”

Belle’s unamused countenance hung high, though only her mouth was easy to see, and feel as the air from her harsh words berated the platform.

 

“Take this one away and put her in today’s food group with the other prisoners. Her crime is wasting my valuable attention and thought-processes on drivel-quality ideas.”

“Wait, no D-divine Belle!”, screamed the scientists, but some soldiers were already on her, dragging her away and off the platform.

 

“As for the rest of you thinker types,”, began Belle. “If you don’t think you have the qualifications to actually contribute here, raise your hand now and I’ll have you assigned to vehicle repair in the military. Your meager minds will be better spent there, even if it’s a bit more hands-on work. I know none of you can match my divine intellect, but the level to which some of you can’t even approach is frankly pathetic. Otherwise, your incompetence will be noted and you’ll serve my stomach, getting a lesson in how hot steam reacts to flesh just like that other woman will.”

Several of the thinkers raised their hands, taking that fate rather than risking irking Belle with a bad, or no, suggestion. Some soldiers escorted them out.

 

Plenty of scientists and engineers still opted to stay.

“Well?”, said Belle. “I’m waiting.”

One sheepish looking engineer with circular glasses and a ponytail spoke up.

 

“Um, if I may, Divine Belle, what about fins?”

“What about them, we have some already.”

“More of them, I notice there aren’t that many on the balloon portion itself.”

“That would add to weight.”

“Divine Belle, if I may suggest a mechanism: the armor plating over the balloons is a genius idea of course, but it’s not needed while in transit over the ocean, as combat won’t be needed there. Assuming the weather isn’t stormy of course! In that case, if there was a way for the armor to slide off, at least partially, into the shape of fins-”

“Then it’d be more aerodynamic when safe to do so.”, said Belle, completing the sentiment.

 

Belle leaned down and squinted at the scientist--and everyone else on the platform by extension.

 

Her finger reached out again, nearing the models she set up. Another swarm of minibots surged forth to alter the models. Said models were now a bit more ‘alive’ in that the armor on the balloon portion of their figure was now a series of interlocking brass triangles and, through the clicking of gears, said triangles could extend out for speed or back against the balloon for protection.

 

The engineer was in shock. Yes, she had come up with the idea, but Belle had essentially devised an implementation for it within the span of seconds. Despite feeling like she contributed, she was still reminded that she was wildly outclassed by their country’s living god.

 

“Very good idea. What’s your name, little mortal.”

“E-emeline Napper, oh gracious Belle”, said the bespectacled young woman.

 

“Well Emeleine, aside from the honor of your name rolling off my divine tongue, you may pick a sex slave from my collection to spend the night with.”

 

“D-d-divine Belle. T-thank you for the honor, but that is not necessary.”

 

“You would dare refuse a reward from me?”, bellowed Belle. Her ‘breath’ once again buffeted the platform.

 

“N-no of course not.”

“Good, the soldiers will show you to the nearest camp for them once this meeting is done. Simply cuddle with your choice if you wish, but I won’t abide such obstinate refusal.”

“O-of course Divine Belle, forgive my idiotic obstinance.”

 

Belle grinned. The minibots swarmed back into her body which sealed them back inside.

 

“Now, there is one more item on the agenda. I’m happy to announce to the military leaders present I’ve made another innovation. It’ll be an even safer way to launch attacks, and a for more efficient form of ‘setting base’ than mobile camps.”

General Kadwell spoke up.

 

“A-and what might that be, Divine Belle”

 

Belle grinned wider.

“I’d rather it be a surprise when it’s ready, which should be soon. Don't worry, I can handle most of the logistics involved with it on my end.”

 

“O-of course, oh magnanimous Divine Belle.”

 

“This meeting is over.”, spoke Belle. “Clear this platform as it will be used as an eating plate for the latest shipment of prisoners from our war to the south. I trust some disassembled town infrastructure will be accompanying the delivery?”

 

“Yes Divine Belle, all is on schedule.”, said Ralph, who, over time, has essentially become the chief of staff and logistics on the civilian side for Belle’s rule.

 

“Excellent. Ramp up military drills, generals, and have the factories start replicating my airship designs soon as I have scribes just the diagrams down. I intend to start my invasion of Europe within the year.”

 

Belle listened to the acknowledgment of her orders, and watched the comparatively minuscule people leave her sight.