- Text Size +

 

4th of May, 20XX, 11:21

 

I’ve been unable to catch any sort of signal in the area, so today I paid a courier from the village to send samples to L. town. I’m completely confounded by the measurements I just took. I do not understand what I’m witnessing. When I checked on R. this morning, just after sunrise, I could not believe my eyes. Her nightgown now looked like a shirt several sizes too small. The neckline, once loose like a proper airing nightgown, was now barely fitting. Her sleeves had ripped at the seams, and the bottom opening that once would have probably floated around her knees was now digging in her flat stomach, revealing a strained underwear fighting for its life. As she stood up to greet me, her head had to stay bent in a painful looking angle for her neck. Her hair dragged down to her ankles, almost hiding her head and covering her front and sides. Despite her lankiness, she was extremely imposing. I asked R. how her night went and, after she confirmed all was well, I took some measurements. They are as follows:



Noted measurements of patient R. -fourth of May, 8:21-

Height: 221.18 cm ( ~87 ¾ in)

Foot Length: 38.27 cm ( ~15 ¼ in)

Hand Length: 27.57 cm ( ~10 ¾  in)



It was very difficult for me to hide my bewilderment. R. had grown 25 centimeters in the span of a single night. When she placed her right foot on one of the numerous flimsy wooden stools that littered the common area, she did so with strength and conviction, her heel striking the wooden board in a display contrary to the delicate aura she gave off. Still, there was something calming about the ambiance in the room, and god knows I needed it. As I placed a measuring tape along her sole, I noticed how we bathed in the typically strongly coloured light of the morning sun, scarcely infiltrating through openings inside the wooden planked walls of the house, the windows barely open. The angle of the light came from her side and harshly cut her features with shadows. Her bony outlook was more pronounced, her arms taking a strong vibe, and the wrinkles of her sole now seemed overabundant. My heart fluttered out of a sort of uncertain foreboding.


Immediately after, I procured some blood samples from her, which as mentioned previously I sent to L. town by courier, to the mention of doctor V, my esteemed colleague. Hopefully the results will shed some light on the ordeal of R


I spent my time before lunch questioning the village, going door to door, asking about her past, or any signs of something wrong in others, but found nothing of value that would help her case. As I came back to her house, R. was waiting for me outside. The scene was something out of a bad tv drama of the region, with a group of villagers gawking at her like one would a strange animal and her old mother, yelling at her to get back inside in a fit of shame. It was when I got closer to her that I realized that in just the couple of hours I had been gone, she grew another hand span in height, her chest now just above my eyesight instead of under it. I decided to do some more measurements just a few minutes ago. Whatever strand of fabric was holding her sleeves was subtly ripping apart as I proceeded to note down her current numbers.



Noted measurements of patient R. -fourth of May, 11:12-

Height: 229.73 cm ( ~90 ½  in)

Foot Length: 39.75 cm ( ~15 ½  in)

Hand Length: 28.64 cm ( ~11 ¼  in)



As I tucked the tape away, just after measuring her hand, I came to realize how this formerly dainty woman now had hands longer than my feet. She smiled at me, with a barely hidden fire behind her eyes, and slouched back on the common bench, her mother desperately mumbling to herself while R. rolled her eyes and opened her legs as wide as she could, displaying an overt nakedness. I averted my eyes as she stared at me, her mother too panicked to even notice her daughter’s provocative stance.


I excused myself, hopefully hiding my discomfort at the situation. 


With such impossible data now before me, I’ve decided to calculate her growth per hour. This is of course an approximation. I will see if I can expound on this further tomorrow. In any case, here’s what I’ve found:



Estimated growth per hour of patient R. -third of May, 18:14 to 8:21- : 1.86 cm ( ~¾  in)

Estimated growth per hour of patient R. -fourth of May, 8:21 to 11:12- : 2.16 cm ( ~1 in)



For now, I’m going to type up a report template, and hopefully be able to send in daily news to my colleagues down at L. town’s hospital. After that, considering the air is fresh today, I probably will be off for a walk around the village. I have a lot to think about...