- Text Size +

Deciding to park his car off the side of the road on the embankment descending towards the forest, near where the road narrows off to feed into the cluster of houses making the cul-de-sac's dead end, Carter exited the car and took a minute to survey the area.

He stood for a time, staring into the clustered trees in the distance, and then back up to the semi-circle of houses down the road, examining the varied pastel colored mass produced structures.

Most of them had back-yards facing out towards the hillside that slowly became the bordering forest that seemed to surround the entirety of the outskirts of the community at large, at least in this direction.

Stopping to gaze back into the car for a moment, he considered calling back to the station and reporting what he had learned thus far but decided against it.

He hadn't found any kind of tangible evidence or even any real leads yet and would just get an earful of laughter from the other guys back at the precinct. Might as well wait until he had something with some weight to report.

Checking himself to make sure he were equipped properly, Carter straightened himself out and started his walk down 13th towards the first house.

Scanning the well-kept road and gazing towards the houses as he neared them, he could see some kids running around in the side yard of 305, and a man mowing the front lawn of 303.

Deciding to just go ahead and start with the first house in numeral order, he walked up the driveway and across the walkway of 301 politely ringing the doorbell.

An elderly woman answered, seeming a bit surprised to see an officer in the area, even in plainclothes. She answered his questions concerning the strange occurrences in the area but seemed mostly unaware.

Only really saying that the neighborhood kids had been overly noisy lately and that she didn't like all the newcomers moving into the area. Realizing he wasn't going to get much more from her, he thanked her for her time and continued on.

302 and 303 offered similar stories, both were family homes and housed some of the mentioned children, although the parents answered rather quickly when he rang.

The mother of 302 claimed that the college kids of the neighborhood liked to "party" in the woods and there wasn't much to be done about it since "kids will be kids" and claimed she didn't know much about the recent rumors.

The man outside of 303 stopped mowing his lawn to take a break, sipping on a sports drink as he answered Carter's questions. He claimed that the "girls from 308" were the source of all the ruckus in the neighborhood.

According to his account, their parents were frequently away for work, leaving the eldest daughter in charge of the household, which had become a hangout for the neighborhood college kids when she was also away at work during some hours.

He was under the opinion that the younger daughter had been influencing his own towards some sort of drug or booze use in the woods or at their place and brushed off further questioning about the town's other events.

306 and 307 didn't turn up much, they turned out to be more family homes however and had kids around the age range that matched the descriptions given for the somewhat shady activity described. The mother of 307 said that her daughter spent a lot of time over at 308 hanging out with the girls there.

She had never seen anything unsavory going on, but she admitted between work and keeping up her home she didn't have a lot of time to keep track of her adult daughter.

She did add that she had heard some of the other rumors around town and suggested a possible lead in looking into the owners of some of the newer shops that have been appearing in the mall.

Furthermore, she claimed her son had come home with what looked like an "ancient dagger", which she had promptly confiscated, from one of the shops there, and she didn't like the idea of the owners selling such things to the younger kids around town.

Taking note of what he had learned thus far, he walked slowly up towards the driveway of 308. So far, all leads of possible activity connected to the case seemed to point here.

By all logical means there must be a lead or even a potential suspect within or on the grounds of this home. That is, if there's any merit to the townspeople's rumors at all, Carter thought to himself.

However, after the various accounts adding together, he still couldn't shake the strange feeling of discomfort when attempting to piece together the puzzle laid out between superstition and possible crime.

It felt like he was missing something, but it was apparent that these rebellious college kids may be in danger, or possibly already involved in something dangerous.

Shaking his head again of the more unrealistic notions coming over his mind from the day of local myth and lore, Carter stood facing the house.

Like a few of the other houses in the neighborhood, Number 308 was two stories tall. The second story covered the entryway to the home slightly, a steppingstone walkway leading towards the small front porch and door from the driveway. The yard was fairly well kept, seemingly serviced regularly, and a pink bike lay discarded in the grass.

He could see the drapes were drawn on the upper bedroom windows, and in the slowly dimming sunlight could spy some lights on in the house. There was no vehicle in the driveway currently, but someone seemed to be home.

Walking up towards the porch he heard the faint sound of music resounding through the walls from inside, seeming to be coming from the upper floor. Carter sighed to himself as he rang the bell, not knowing exactly what to expect.