- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Introduction. Another chapter is planned for later. Sorry if the pacing or dialouge is hard to follow.

 

 

 

 

~~~

  "Are you sure you want to go through with this?" Amelie asked me, with a serious look plastered on her face.

  "Yes, I'm certain," I replied, "you are my dearest friend and I trust you whole-heartedly. Whatever happens, we'll overcome it together."

  Amelie's demure face softened rather significantly at that confession, before shifting into a warm smile.

  "Okay, then. Moment of truth, I suppose," Amelie answered, before taking hold of my hand and leading me into the tent.

  There were tales of a powerful mage setting up her tent randomly throughout the country. It just so happened that we finally managed to track her down. There are many schools and professions of magic, but this particular magician has proven herself to be the sole weaver of Fate and Luck. A handful of rumors spread, that if you visit her with another person, this woman can transfer all of a person's luck and potential for success unto the other. Quite frankly, a sacrifice of sorts. One of us could become rich, or royalty. The other might catch a disease, or lose all of their belongings and be unable to acquire any more. But... I'm unsure if two friends have attempted this before. It always seems to be two strangers who make use of this phenomenon. Before entering, Amelie and I had already agreed. Whoever gets the boon will care for the unfortunate one.

  The interior of the tent is dimly lit by what appears to be an antique lamp. A woman, appearing to be in her golden years, sits cross-legged on a large red cushion behind the lamp. She doesn't smile at us, but she doesn't seem particularly hostile, either.

  "Pardon us, miss--" Amelie began her introduction in the sweetest voice she could muster.

  The magician raised one hand, in what was obviously a silencing motion.

  "No need for words, child," the crone spoke, "We all know why you're here. Only those who seek me, can find me, after all."

  Amelie stayed quiet, and nodded her head reverently. I mimicked the gesture. Bowing was typically an ettiquette for the nobility, which neither I nor Amelie hailed from. We were practically urchins, nomads, or vagrants, depending on who you asked. Consequences of birth aside, we have been lifelong friends. And, until today... Neither of us thought we had anything left to lose.

  "I will explain nothing. Do you two accept what will come to pass? Now is your chance to leave, if you are feeling any doubts about this," the mage explained.

  Amelie looked to me, and then back to the magician.

  "I am ready," Amelie spoke.

  I turned my gaze towards the elder fateweaver.

  "I, too, accept what will come to pass," I answered.

  The magician didn't speak. She barely seemed to focus on either of us. A low, raspy breath began to seep out of her mouth, and her eyes began to look at us... separately, like a chameleon. In all honesty, it was a bit jarring to witness.

  The woman's eyes sparkled like the heavens, almost like a million tiny stars had entered her irises. Both eyes glowed in a yellow-ochre color.

  Amelie bit her lip in anticipation. We were about to find out who would be the benefactor, and who would be the beneficiary.

  The old lady's eyes finally changed colors. The one on the left: gold. The one on the right... The one on my side... A sorrowful seeming purple-black.

  I knew this would happen. All my life, I'd been unlucky. Of course that wouldn't change now. Amelie had always been the more successful thief, the more attractive between the two of us. She always had a slight edge over me from the beginning, and yet... She always remained by my side anyways. At this point, I felt the blood draining from my face, although I don't believe the fate magic had anything to do with that. No, this was just what dawned on me. My life was about to get a whole lot harder, and I was afraid to find out how. Would I lose an arm? Contract a disease? Become mute?

  Amelie must have realized she was the lucky one, here. She quite literally was being given all of my potential. She turned her head to me, but her face wasn't one of joy as one might expect. No... she seemed... concerned about what would happen to me...

  ...And that's precisely why I loved her.

  It was my longest kept secret, although, I would never get a chance to tell her that. Because now? I realized something, something truly horrific.

  I was beginning to forget everything. Everything right up until this moment.

  "...!" I gasped aloud, trying to speak to the gorgeous lady beside me.

  Something inside of me told me she was supposed to be important. But... who was she? I hadn't forgotten how to speak, thankfully. But I was extremely confused. The minute I tried to say her name, only air came out. Come to think of it... what was my own name, anyway?

  "Luca!" the pretty girl practically screamed at me, her face awash with worry.

  Oh. Was... was that my name?

  I didn't have much time to ponder it, before a huge wave of vertigo overtook me. I did the only thing I could think to do. I was in a strange tent I'd never seen in my life, and I felt myself contracting. It almost... hurt.

  "Aaaahhh!" I screamed as a pressure overtook my entire body. I was terrified! And... that's it. That's all I could remember before...

 

 

  ***************

 

   NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO... LUCA!

  I didn't care whatever I was going to get. I was already regretting this entire ordeal, and, plus, I was kind of hoping he would've been the one to finally catch a break in his life! Damn it!

  "Luca!" I yelled, before looking to the magician for help... but... she was gone.

  I return my gaze back to Luca. He seemed to have passed out but... his body was shrinking, right before my very eyes. It was absolutely terrifying! And... it wouldn't fucking stop! Smaller, smaller, smaller... Would he turn into nothing?

  I got my answer, eventually. He stopped shrinking, but he was about the size of my thumbnail. The size of a runt blueberry.

  Just what in the Hell could I possibly gain from this!? All of the money and power in the world seemed insignificant at this moment, as I watched my darling become the size of a bug in front of me.

  I was starting to sweat bullets, and I was overcome with emotion. I didn't know what else to do, so I buckled down and cried near him, waiting to see when he would wake up; this ritual wasn't supposed to kill anyone, according to the tales.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

 

 

 

 

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.