- Text Size +

The group made their way to the front door. Jane gave the key to Bill. He was eye level to the bottom lock. The deadbolt was slightly above his eyes. Jane explained that when they were trying to project the final heights of the people who took the formula, it was determined to they should place the locks at this height. She turned and asked Cindy if she would ever have a problem bending down slightly to use the key. 


Cindy didn't think she would, but even if she did, she didn't want to cause any problems with her family. The door wasn't as heavy as it looked. Jane explained that they used lightweight materials, so that normal sized people could open and close it without hurting themselves.


They entered, and everyone immediately noticed that the ceilings were about 15 ft high. Jane explained that they were designed with Cindy's final height in mind. It was then that her parents truly understood how tall their daughter would eventually become. It's one thing to see pictures, diagrams, and other things. It was another thing to be right in the middle of what was described.


The kitchen was the first room they entered. The countertop looked to be around 7’6” from the floor. Jane asked Cindy if she would have any issues with bending over to use them, or the sink. Cindy said no. She was feeling a little awkward by the whole thing. But she listened intently.


Jane pointed out the two step riser in front of the counters, that looked to level off around 4 ft off the ground. Jane explained that it would allow a normal sized person full access to the counters and sink. She also pointed to a 7ft step stool that would be used to allow a normal sized person to access the cabinets above the counters. The refrigerator was about 10 ft tall, and very wise. The handle was about 5 ft off the ground. Once again, Jane asked Cindy if she would have any issues with bending down to use the handle. 


This time, Cindy thought for a moment, went over and tried the handle. At her current height, she thought the handle was too low. So she told Jane it was too low. Jane went to the wall phone that was just lying on the table, made a quick call, and then said a new refrigerator would be delivered that afternoon, one with a handle around 7 and a half feet tall. The step stool for the cabinets would be used to reach the handle for Bill, Susan, and Tom. Jane took the step stool over to walk, grabbed the phone, and hung it. It was about 8 ft off the ground. 


Next it was off to the dining room. They was a table that was slightly taller than usual, and 3 chairs that were slightly taller than usual, and one normal sized chair that was wider. Jane explained that the current set up was scaled for Cindy's current size. The three taller chairs were for Bill, Susan, and Tom, and would allow them to be as close to eye level with Cindy as they could. However, as Cindy grew taller and taller, the dining room furniture would be replaced with sizes scaled to her new height. Jane then pulled out pictures of a dining room set, with detailed specs next to them describing what it would look like.


The first thing that they noticed was as the tables became taller and taller, the seats would be taller also. And each new set of chairs, except for one, which would be Cindy's, had steps built in on the side to allow the other family members to sit on the seats. Bill noticed that the final height of the chairs was about 7 and a half feet tall.


Again, Jane asked Cindy if she would have any issues with the smaller table and chairs at the beginning, and Cindy said that she wouldn't.


Next they went out to the living room. Immediately they saw a sofa that had seats 7 ft tall, and it must have been about 12 ft wide. Jane asked Cindy if she would have a problem having if she would have to sit lower than normal. Again, Cindy said no. Tom thought it was totally insane that here were a bunch of things in the house that were positioned taller than his head by at least a foot, and Cindy was being asked about having to bend down to use them.


There were a couple of recliners also in the living room, each the same height as the sofa, but only half as wide. And there was a fan with a light hanging around a foot from the ceiling, and light stands about 10 ft tall. Thank God they noticed that the lights could be turned on using a switch built into the cord that plugged into the wall. Then, it was off to the bathroom.