- Text Size +

The plane ride back to Westmont Lake was quiet and somber. Becky kept her hand gently on Tom’s shoulder, but he just looked out the window, never once turning his head. To her, he was there and not there at the same time. She couldn't imagine the painful thoughts that were running through his mind. 


Tom eventually got up to use the bathroom, and Becky could see how puffy and red his eyes were. She never heard him cry out loud, but it was obvious that he had been. He returned to his seat, and just continued to look out the window. Becky once again told him that if he needed to talk, she would be there for him. Tom half heartedly nodded his head. 


Then, as if the floodgate had opened, Tom talked about the first time he met Debbie. It was high school, freshman year, and she had just moved there with her family. They were on the bus, and he was sitting with his friends, when this beautiful girl came up and introduced herself. He thought that she was just being nice to all of them, which she was, but it was more to get his attention. He was surprised, because he never had a girl make the first move in that way. He was always initiating contact with females, and without much success. 


But Debbie was different. She had a thing about her that he couldn’t describe. She was beautiful, intelligent, and had a sense of humor. And her interest in him took him by surprise. In fact, she had asked him out several times before he said yes. That’s what he found funny and appealing about her, she was the aggressor. He felt flattered that there was someone who chased after him, instead of the other way around. 


Becky sat quietly, listening to Tom just talk about Debbie. He said that once they started dating, they literally became inseparable. They were always at each other’s houses, their parents had become good friends, and they just knew that they would be together for the rest of their lives.


Becky noticed that Tom had tears running down his face. She grabbed a tissue and tried her best to wipe them away, only for there to be more. She put her hand back on his shoulder, and continued to let him get things out in the open.


Tom recalled an incident from the Freshman Initiation Dance. They had never been to a high school dance, and didn’t know what to expect. And they were enjoying dancing together, while trying to dodge water balloons from the upperclassmen. However, some junior girl had come over to talk to him while Debbie was in the girls room. When she returned and saw the junior talking to him, she got in between them, and let the older girl know in no uncertain terms that Tom Adams was off limits. The junior girl was surprised by her reaction, and apologized and walked away. In a strange way, it made him feel happy that she had gotten a little jealous. He couldn’t explain it. 


Once again, Becky grabbed a tissue and wiped his face. But this time, there were no tears to replace the ones that were wiped. Tom asked if there was something to drink. Becky got up and returned with a bottle of water. It was an Alpha sized container, but Tom either didn’t mind or didn’t notice, because he never reacted to its size. He then continued.


He remarked about how stunningly beautiful she was when they went to both their junior and senior proms. To him, no other female existed on the planet, only her. She was like the reincarnation of the Goddess Venus. She was the epitome of perfection, and she was with him. He felt like the luckiest man in the entire history of the world.  


Then came graduation. Their parents had taken them out to dinner to celebrate, and when Debbie had gone to the bathroom, he excused himself from the table and waited outside the door for her. When she appeared,  he got down on his knee and produced a small box. He saw the confusion in her eyes, so he opened the container, revealing a diamond ring, and asked her to marry him. She said yes and cried. He cried too.


When they both returned to the table, they told their parents about what had just happened. Both moms were excited, while their dads had looks on their faces indicating that advice would be forthcoming, whether he wanted it or not. And they were there for each other as they made the decision that he would get a job that allowed her to stay home if she chose. When he got hired by the mining company, it seemed like all their prayers were answered. 


Tom continued that he was making great money with tremendous benefits, allowing Debbie to do a little sewing on the side. It was a hobby of hers, and not only was she very good at it, she became a sought after person for last minute alterations. And when they found out that she was pregnant with James, she felt like she could soar to the tops of the highest mountains without wings. She was just so overjoyed at the prospect of becoming a mother. She couldn't describe the feeling. And it took a lot of pressure off of him, just knowing that she would handle most household decisions while he spent many hours at the mine. But now she was in surgery, and he didn't know what he would do if she was no longer there. She was his soulmate, and it was killing his heart that he couldn't be there right then and there to be by her side. 


Once again, the tears flowed down his cheeks, and Becky found herself crying as well. She had only known Debbie for a short time, but found that she and Susan had developed a sisterly bond with the older Beta women. And they were always making tentative plans to go out and have a girl's night out. Now, her new friend was clinging to life, and the man who she regarded as almost a second father was devastated emotionally, and there wasn't a Goddamn thing that she could do about it. 


The co-pilot came back to let them know that they would be landing in 5 minutes. Tom wasn't paying attention, so Becky made sure his seat belt was buckled, and that he was secure in his seat. She did the same for herself, and within minutes, the plane was on the ground and heading for the arrival gate. 


James was alone with Susan in the waiting room. His mom had been in surgery for about an hour. He was just feeling empty inside, and never noticed Meg and her father enter the room. He felt a large, extremely gentle hand on his shoulder. Looking up, he saw Meg and Leo, who had asked him how he was doing. James looked blankly at the Alpha male and reflexively answered that he was doing fine. But the tears running down his face told a different story. Leo took a seat, as Meg sat on the floor next to Susan. She placed a hand on his knee, but she really didn't get a reaction. She was upset. There was so much that she wanted to explain to him, and apologize to him, but she knew that the situation made it inappropriate. 


She moved her hand from his knee to his arm, and started to gently caress it. She could tell that he was still in shock. With no one saying a word, Leo asked Susan if she knew what exactly happened. Susan told him that she didn't know anything, except what James had told her. Leo asked Susan if she knew the extent of James’ mom’s injuries. Susan told him that all she knew is that Debbie Adams was in a car accident, and suffered massive internal injuries. And then she lowered her voice, telling him that doctors do know whether she will survive or not. 


Leo nodded quietly, then looked over at James and saw a young man in tremendous pain. It made him recall the time when his grandmother died suddenly, and how it really affected his dad. He kind of understood what emotions James was experiencing. He silently prayed that everything would work out.


Susan looked at James just sitting there, as still as a picture. Even though she was an only child, she felt like her big sister was in trouble, yet there wasn't anything she could do to help. She was just amazed at how quickly she and Becky had formed a bond with Debbie. She was the big sister that they never had growing up, and she felt like crying herself, but didn't, as she wanted to remain calm and composed for James.


Meg finally asked James if there was anything that she could do for him, or was there anything that he needed. James looked up at her, his eyes full of pain, and said no thank you. And unsure of what to say or do next, gently told him that his mom would be alright. She didn't know if she believed it, but she needed to try and put his mind at ease.


James shifted his eyes towards the door leading to the OR, and suddenly, and to no one in particular, said that his mom meant everything in the world to him. She was the one who taught him to ride a bike. She was the one who played football with him, helping him get better. She was the one who took him to the doctor when he was sick, and took care of him afterwards. She was the one who confided. She was like a best friend to him, and now, she might not live. 


And when he was done, James just broke down, sobbing uncontrollably. Meg leaned forward so he could place his head on her chest, which he did. Not long after, his phone rang. It was his dad, telling him that the plane just landed and he would be at the hospital in 15 minutes. He asked his son how his mom was doing, and James told him that she was still in surgery. Tom told his son that he loved him, and that he would be there soon. 


James hung up, and just looked up at Meg. She was trying her best to remain strong for him, but sensing his pain, felt her emotions welling up. He told her that he was glad that she was there. Meg gently took his hand and lowered her head down enough to whisper that she was terribly sorry about the way she had treated him, and if he could forgive her, she would never behave that way again. James just looked up at her, and told her that he missed her not being with him. He felt empty. Meg started to cry as they kissed. 


It was then that Tom and Becky entered the room. Leo offered his sympathy for what had happened, which Tom appreciated. He hugged Susan, and while she and Becky hugged, he went to James and hugged him tightly. He told him that everything would be alright. He then hugged Meg, and thanked her for being with his son. She assured him that she would never leave him when he needed her the most. James went over and thanked Mr Daniels for coming, to which Meg's father told him that it was important for him to be there for both his daughter and her boyfriend. 


Once everyone was settled, the room became quiet again. It wasn't until Tom absentmindedly apologized to Becky for ruining their trip to Brownsville, that Becky looked at him and told him that she never wanted to hear those words again. Family is the most important thing in the world. Work is second. It was more important to be there for Debbie than a meeting at another mine.


Tom grew quiet. He just looked around at everyone sitting, and thought that he had a good group of friends, although Leo wasn't a friend. But he appreciated the Alpha coming to offer support at this difficult time. 


It was then that the door to the OR swung open, and a middle aged man covered in blood soaked surgical scrubs entered the room. He asked to speak to Tom and James Adams in private. Tom replied that everyone there was a friend, and whatever he needed to say, he could say it in front of them. The doctor understood and nodded. Then he proceeded to speak.