- Text Size +

Meg and Leo walked through the front door and saw Michelle sitting at the table, with a very familiar drink in front of her. But both father and daughter noticed two large bottles also on the table. One was full, the other looked less than half. Leo, sensing what her mood was, and what the situation would turn into, asked Meg to go to Amanda's room. Meg was puzzled, but Leo gave her a smile as if telling her that everything would be alright.


So Meg said hi to her mom, and went to her sister's room. But she didn't go in right away. Instead, she lingered outside, anxious to hear what was going to be said. 


Leo went over and gave Michelle a kiss. But the smell of alcohol coming from her was strong. She returned his kiss, but he felt the anger in it. Leo thought that something happened at her sister's, and now she was drinking to forget. He asked her how her visit was, only to given a glare. He asked how her sister and family were doing. This time the anger boiled over. 


Meg didn't move as she heard her parents’ voices grow louder and louder. She heard many foul words. But she also heard what her parents’ fight on the day she went to James’ house was about. Apparently, it was over the company rule that Susan explained to her father, and what he told her mother. And that she didn't like it, and was even more upset by what he told her afterwards.


Their voices became as loud as she ever heard, especially when her mom described her trip to her sister's. She went there looking for someone to listen to what was bothering her, and get a little support. Instead, what she got was a lecture about how she should be more accepting of Betas. BETAS! And she had an argument with her sister, and accused her of being a bleeding heart softy, not capable of seeing the world as it truly was. Her sister then told her that it was best she leave, as she didn’t want those attitudes corrupting her children. CORRUPTING! She then referred to her sister as that ‘Goddamn Bitch’ who should stay out of her life.


Meg then heard something that she would have thought impossible just a few days before. Her dad told her mom that her sister was probably right. Betas were better people than he gave them credit for. And that he was going to try and keep an open mind towards them. Next thing she heard was the sound of a glass smashing against a wall. She heard her father ask ‘what the hell are you doing?’ Followed by a ‘Fuck You!’ screamed at the top of her mom’s lungs. Next thing she knew, her dad told her mom that she needed help, and that he knew that she threatened to hit Meg, and if she ever did, she would regret it, instantly. 


By then, Ananda had come out of her room. She had been trying to ignore the arguing and screaming, but it became impossible. She saw a look of fear in Meg's eyes, and felt the same way. She asked her big sister if their mom and dad were going to divorce. Meg said that she didn't know.


Their mom and dad continued screaming at each other, until they heard him say that he loved her, and that he missed the woman he proposed to, the one he married, not someone so angry and bitter. He wanted to help her, but he had no idea because he didn't know what was wrong.


They heard their mom ask him what he was doing? That was followed by ‘Get away from me’! And then they heard their dad try to calm her down. He told her that he wanted her to trust him like she used to do. He wanted her to open up. He wanted to be there for her, but with her keeping silent, he was at a loss as to what to do. 


They heard their mom start to object, but the sound was muffled. Meg and Amanda looked at each other. They wanted to see what was going on, but were too scared to move. It wasn't until they heard ‘Michelle, I love you. Please let me in. Please let me help,’ that they knew it was ok. But then they heard a strange, unfamiliar sound. It was uncontrollable sobbing. It was their mom. She was crying, saying that she didn't want to be a bad person, but she just couldn't help it. She wanted to know what was wrong with her. She had come to hate herself and her life, and yet, she didn't know why. She told him that she loved him and the girls. She didn't know what came over her with the incident involving Meg. She really didn't remember raising her hand. It wasn't until she saw Amanda come into the room that she knew what she had done. She was just blinded by rage, and she couldn't control it. She begged her husband to help her. She didn't know why she acted the way she did. She didn't know what was wrong. But she really did love her family. She begged her husband again for help. Leo told her that he would do everything possible to get her help. He loved her, for richer or poorer, in good times and bad, and in sickness and in health. He repeated those vowels to her. She was still crying.


 Leo took her hand and led her out of the dining room. Meg and Amanda rushed into the bedroom, acting like nothing had happened. They heard their parents walk past and into their room, and close the door. Leo laid Michelle down on the bed, covered her over, gave her a kiss, and told her that she needed rest. He would take care of dinner and the girls. When she was ready to come out, he would be waiting. He kissed her again. And turned and left the room. Michelle cried herself to sleep.


When James walked in the door, he noticed his parents weren't at the kitchen table as usual. He heard some noises coming from down the hallway, along with music playing, and put 2 and 2 together. He just laughed at the thoughts running through his head. He grabbed his backpack and headed into his room to get going on homework. 


But it was a little tough to focus on the assignments when he kept thinking about how happy Meg looked at school, how relaxed she felt, and how she bounced when she walked. The anxiety and dread from the day before had been replaced with happiness. He thought about calling her, but decided against it. He thought that she was probably doing homework like he was, and didn't want to disturb her.


He heard his parents’ door open, his mom calling his name. He let her know that he was in his room. She opened the door, with messy hair and a sweaty face, and asked him how his day went. He replied that it went well. And he thought to himself that judging by her appearance, it went well for her as well. She closed the door, and then heard his father's voice. And then he heard his mom tell his dad to behave himself, and then both of them laugh. He just shook his head. He could only hope that if was fortunate enough to spend time with Meg that he would be as fortunate as his parents.


After Leo left his wife in the bedroom, he knocked on Amanda's door. She opened it, and he walked in, and as soon as he did, both his daughters ran and hugged him, crying in the process. He tried to reassure them that everything would be fine. Mom just needed a little rest. He suspected that they heard the whole argument, but tried to play it off as no big deal. He asked them what they wanted for dinner. Meg and Amanda both looked at each other, and asked him if they could order out. Leo said that was a great idea, and asked for suggestions. Pizza, Chinese, sandwiches. They were the top three. He said that they had to choose, so they had to agree. And he left them alone to deliberate.


James finished his homework and went out into the living room. His dad was sitting in the chair. He asked his father how his meeting went. Tom told his son all about it, leaving nothing out. And he told James that of all the people at the meeting, it was Leo Daniels that understood everything. He was surprised, given his reputation. But he seemed to know a lot more than people gave him credit for.


James looked at his father and nodded. His father also told him about the upcoming trip to the Brownsville mine on Sunday, and what it would involve. James had a big smile on his face and congratulated his father.


Debbie had come into the room, and she asked about Meg. James went over everything that Meg had told him, remembering all the details that she relayed as best he could. He told them that Meg was really hoping that her father could help with her mother, but she wasn't sure. But he told his parents that she was happier that day than the one before. 


Tom and Debbie looked at each other and then at James. They told him that since there was nothing he, or any of them could do to help Meg, it was in the hands of fate, and knowing what type of person she was, they were sure that she would be fine. Debbie then got up to make dinner, and asked James if he wanted to help. Her son jumped at the chance, and followed her into the kitchen.


Meg and Amanda agreed on pizza, and went out to tell their dad. Leo was preoccupied with the company manual, trying to find information. He needed to take some time off, and he could get it, if it was only for his needs. Nothing about family members. He thought about calling one of his supervisors, but knew that they would tell him that they had to ask upper management. He felt a sense of frustration, until he noticed his girls standing there. He took a chance, and asked Meg if she had James’number. She said yes. He wanted to know if she could call him and have him ask his dad for Susan Myers phone number. Meg wasn't sure what it was about, but she did as asked. 


James was excited to talk to Meg, but she told him that she was calling for her father. She asked if he could get Susan's number from his dad. James said no problem and within a minute gave her the number. She wrote it down and gave it to her dad, then promised that she would call him later. James said he would be waiting, and hung up.


Meg handed the phone to her dad. He asked the girls if they decided on dinner, and they both said pizza. Leo smiled and gave them a thumbs up, then asked them for a little privacy. Meg and Amanda went back to the room, and Leo hesitantly dialed Susan's number. She answered and Leo introduced himself, and apologized for calling, but something has come up and he needed her help. He had been reading the company manual, and noticed that it didn't say anything about taking time off to care for a family member. Susan immediately thought that something had happened to Meg, but Leo assured her that she was perfectly fine, and that this had nothing to do with her. 


He was hesitant about revealing the issue that led him to make the call, but Susan patiently listened to him, answered his questions, and tried to get him to reveal what was going on. Leo eventually explained that something had come up that he and his wife needed to take care of. He apologized for not going into specifics, but it was all he could tell her. Susan told him to take as much time as he needed. She would ok it. And she would deal with her father if he questioned it. She told him that she hoped everything worked out for him and his family, and all she asked was that he say hi to Meg for her.


Leo thanked her for being understanding. And deep down, it thrilled him that his daughter had made a positive impression on Susan. It meant that his daughter had a bright future, no matter what she did. 


Once he hung up the phone, he noticed the time and ordered the pizzas. Then he cleaned up the glass that had shattered when it impacted the wall. A broom and dustpan did the trick. However, the wine stain would be a lot tougher to get off both the wall and floor. And as he was cleaning up, his thoughts turned towards Michelle. She needed to see someone that could help her. And he hoped that he could find that person for her.