- Text Size +

The laugh that Meg and James shared did them good. Meg’s family had just moved into town, and it made her feel apprehensive. She was never a popular girl in school. She was normally very reserved, which everyone took as her being a quiet snob. In truth, she just needed to get to know someone before she could be more expressive. And it seemed that no one wanted to get to know her enough to let that personality shine through.

 

She had made the conscious decision to be more outgoing on the first day. And with James actually responding they way he did, it gave her self confidence a big boost. 

 

James, only the other hand, was just trying to put the shock of the announcement about football behind him. But he thought about the bus ride in. A new girl, a really tall one at that, had said hi. Here he was feeling apprehensive because he was looking up to people that were sitting, and some girl he had never meant before, broke the ice by introducing herself. 

 

They both relaxed enough to finally notice it was time for lunch. Making there way to the cafeteria, the only thing that surprised James was that he had gotten used to everything being built for people twice his size. He did notice that the smaller tables were at the very back of the room. He didn't look forward to having to make his way through the mass of bodies just to sit.

 

But after they got their food, James told Meg that he would see her after lunch. She asked why, and he pointed out the obvious differences in table sizes for people like themselves. She realized he was right, and they both sat down to eat.

 

One thing James noticed that the food the cafeteria served wasn't any better than what the grade school had to offer. He swore that all the cooks had it in for the students. Food couldn't be this bad otherwise.

 

But he finished his meal early, and after dropping off the dirty tray, maneuvered around until he spotted Meg. He couldn't help but think of how kind she was for someone her size. He had heard the stories of confrontations that ended in hospital stays for the regular sized folks. He just hoped that he never had to see her angry side.

 

He saw that Meg was finished and basically sitting by herself, so he kept waving to get her attention. Once she noticed, she got up, deposited the tray, and headed towards him.

 

He asked if she wanted to step out in the hallway, which was virtually deserted at that time. She told him ok. Out in the hallway, and away from everyone else, he asked her how she was handling a hectic first day. He wanted to ask her more serious questions, but was extremely hesitant to encroach on her personal space.

 

She thought about it and agreed that it was hectic, but not as bad as she imagined it would be. She asked him about his day so far, and he basically told her it was the same.

 

But if nothing else, it allowed him to spend a little time with her. She may have dwarfed him, but he found himself to be very relaxed in her presence.

 

And before they knew, lunch was over, and the hallway filled quickly. And that was their cue to head to the next class. He noticed that despite her size, she looked extremely feminine. And he found her quite attractive. But he had no idea how she felt about boys much smaller than her.

 

And then the day was over, and onto the bus they went. James saw that Todd was talking to a normal sized girl, and rather than be a third wheel, asked Meg if he could sit with her. She said yes and flashed a smile.

 

To her, it was nice to have the company. And she noticed that James didn't appear to be intimidated by her size. To her, it meant he had enough confidence to be around her without feeling small. And to her, he was cute. He had a solid build for someone his size, and a personality that put her at ease.