- Text Size +

The bus came to a stop, and the students got up to leave. Never in James' wildest dreams would he be six foot five inches tall, and not reach the navel of the girl in front of him. Todd had been almost non existent on the bus, not daring to say something that might be offensive to the giant students sitting in front of him.

 

But off the bus the students went, and there were four tables set up, one for each class. James noticed that as tall as Meg was, there were students in the upper grade almost two feet taller than her. He must have been staring too long, as the lady seated at the table repeatedly called his name.

 

James apologized, and took his keycard, and then waited for Todd to do the same. He couldn't take his mind off the giant girl that sat in front of him on the bus, and her sheer size when she stood up. She was truly gargantuan, yet not even the tallest in the school.

 

Todd was finished getting his keycard, and the boys followed their classmates heading into the school. They both noticed the vast size of the building, from the doors to the windows to it's height. It was a three story building in name only. It was actually the same height as a six story building, but with three less floors. 

 

The doors had two sets of keypads. One was positioned at four feet, the other positioned at eight feet. And the doors must have been about twenty feet tall, and eight feet wide. The windows were larger than normal, but not as much as the doors. 

 

Once inside, the ceilings in the hallways were twenty feet high, and at least twenty-five feet wide. Lockers were lined against the walls, each one about ten feet tall and about five feet wide. There was no place for a lock. Instead, there were keypads on each locker. 

 

And then it was on to the classroom. James wondered about the cafeteria, but he could only imagine it being as big as everything else. 

 

But the sheer scale of the building was nothing compared to the sight inside the classroom. Thirty desks were inside. Twenty were on the left, and they were normal sized, and placed on platforms that raised their height by four feet. The other ten were the biggest, widest, and tallest James had ever seen. He couldn't describe them without sounding like he was crazy. But each desk had a name tag attached to it, so everyone knew where to sit. 

 

The bell rang to signal the start of the school year, and once everyone was seated, the door opened, and in walked a man and two women. Except they were the biggest people James had ever seen. The man introduced himself as Principal Vickers. He introduced one of the ladies as Vice Principal Andrews, and introduced the third lady as their homeroom teacher Mrs Anderson. 

 

By the looks of it, James guessed that Principal Vickers was about twelve and a half feet tall, while the two ladies looked to be thirteen feet in height. James was still trying to process the size of the girl on the bus named Meg. Now, he didn't know what to think. He had tremendous size for his age, yet looked like a toddler compared to the tall kids in his class.

 

He did notice that his desk was aligned with Meg's on the other side of the room. He wondered if all kids her size were as nice as her. He shuddered to think of some of them being mean, because he couldn't do anything about it, except run as fast as possible away from any trouble.

 

But those nice thoughts were interrupted by stark reality when Principal Vickers announced that all varsity sports would only be open to the tall students. The state board of education made the decision that to protect the health of the smaller students, there would be no co-mingling of different sized students during athletic events. Principal Vickers said the decision was final. 

 

James and Todd had little tears in their eyes. The one thing that they look forward to the most, was now taken away forever. What had started off as a promising day, soon turned into of bitter disappointment.