- Text Size +

As Debbie drove away, Tom and Becky walked towards the boarding gate. Betas were always seated first, so they had to be on the plane 15 minutes before everyone else. And while they were waiting, Tom looked up at Becky and gave her a big smile. She looked at him and smiled back, asking him what was up. Tom told her that Debbie was pregnant. Becky looked stunned, then quickly grasped what he had just said, and bent down and gave him a hug, lifting him off the floor. She kept telling Tom how happy she was for the both of them, and put him down just as he was called to go onto the plane. Tom looked up and said that he would see her in about 3 hours, as once he was seated, they would be in different sections of the plane.


James looked at the clock in the kitchen. It read 7:30. His dad had to be at the airport by 6:00, but his mom still wasn’t home. He grabbed his cellphone, turning it on, hoping that he didn’t miss a call from her saying that she was in trouble. Instead, he saw that he had 10 missed calls from Meg, along with an equal amount of voicemails. He had no desire to talk to her at that moment, recalling everything that happened between them.


He was lost in thought, and was startled by a heavy knock on the front door. He opened up, and saw a female Alpha police officer outside. Opening up the screen door, the officer asked him if Tom Adams was home. He replied that his dad had just left for a business trip, but he introduced himself as his son James. The officer had a funny look on her face, and asked him to come along with her. James asked what was going on, to which the officer replied honestly that a lady named Debbie Adams was involved in a terrible accident, and that she was at the hospital, and that she was offering to give him a ride. 


James’ mind went completely blank at hearing the news, then was flooded with a million thoughts. With tears forming in his eyes, he asked the officer if his mom was alright, to which the officer replied that she wasn’t sure. She was sent to bring him to the hospital as quickly as possible. James’ heart sank at the news. He tried to call his father, only for it to go right to voicemail. He was thinking of who he could call, and suddenly dialed. Susan answered, and in between cries, James told her about what happened. He was heading to the hospital with the officer, but he couldn’t reach his dad. Susan's voice was filled with dread, as she told him that she would call the airport in Brownsville and leave a message for his father, and also charter a flight back for him. Once that was done, she would meet him at the hospital.


James thanked her and went with the officer. In spite of the terrible news that he just received, he realized that he had never been inside an Alpha car before. He couldn’t get over how big the interior was. The female officer fit perfectly, but James felt like he was being swallowed by the seat. He noticed that there were two sets of seatbelts, and used the ones for Betas. The officer asked him again and again if he was alright, and James just offered an automatic yes. His mind quickly switched from the size of the car to his mom. He had no information other than that she was in an accident. He didn’t know if he should think the worst, or think that it was a minor fender bender. 


He arrived at the hospital. The officer escorted him up to the emergency O.R. waiting room. He was greeted by a Beta doctor. James asked him if his mom was ok, but he saw nothing but a cold, clinical look on the doctor’s face. The doctor told him that his mom had suffered massive internal injuries and was losing blood. They were just about to perform surgery, but he advised James to put scrubs on and say his goodbyes. He didn’t know if the operation would save her. James stoically did as requested, and once fully covered in hospital attire, went to see his mom.


But he wasn’t prepared for the sight that awaited him. He saw a body that was swollen and bruised, and almost unrecognizable. It was then that James finally broke down and sobbed uncontrollably, telling his mother how much he loved her, and that he would be waiting for her when she woke up. It was then that Debbie was wheeled into the OR, and James was escorted back into the waiting room. He found a Beta section of chairs, and took a seat. He just put his face in his hands and cried uncontrollably. 


He was still sobbing when he noticed a large, but gentle, hand was on his shoulder. He looked up. It was Susan, kneeling in front of him. He stood up and just buried his head into her chest, never stopping his crying. Susan just gently rubbed his back, trying to calm him. She had tears running down her face. She just let him cry.


Once he calmed down enough, he looked up at her and explained what the doctor had told him. By this point, James had become numb emotionally, and wiped away the tears from Susan’s face. She told him that she not only left word at the airport for his dad and Becky, but she had a plane ready to bring them back. James looked at her with a puzzled look, and Susan told him that the mine was paying for the plane. 


Susan had pretty much calmed down herself, until James absentmindedly told her that his mom was pregnant, which caught her off guard. And then the tears flowed again, which caused him to start crying again. The emotional moment was interrupted by James’ phone. It was his dad. James suddenly didn’t know what to say. As the phone continued to ring, a panicked look came over his face, until Susan told him to just be honest. James answered.


The flight to Brownsville took less time than originally planned due to a strong tailwind. And at 8:00, the plane touched down and taxied to the gate. Alphas got off first, followed by the Betas, so Becky waited for Tom just outside the plane. They instantly asked one another how their flight was, only to burst out laughing at the question. As they walked into the terminal, they heard Tom’s name being paged over the intercom, asking him to go to the courtesy counter. So he and Becky made their way to a desk that was off to the side. Tom asked Becky if she could get the luggage from the conveyor. Tom stepped on top of a stool and introduced himself to the pleasant middle aged Alpha woman behind the counter. She smiled and handed him an envelope. 


The letter inside told him to call his son, and that there was a chartered plane at Gate 001 to take him back to Westmont Lake. Curious, Tom dialed James’ number, and once his son answered, and told him what had happened, his heart sank into the depths of hell.


When Becky returned a couple of minutes later, she saw that Tom had all the color drained from his face, and tears running down his cheek. She asked him what was wrong. Tom just said that they had to return home, and needed to get to Gate 001 as soon as possible. Becky had a look on her face that was a mixture of confusion and apprehension. 


She followed Tom to the gate. They introduced themselves and were immediately allowed on with their luggage. Unfortunately for Tom, there were no Beta seats on the plane, so he had to climb up and sit in one made for an Alpha. Becky needed to help him tighten the seat belt. But once they were both situated, Tom just stared blankly out the window. Becky tried to ask him if she could do anything for him, but he just mumbled no. She extended her long arm across the aisle and put her hand gently on his shoulder, telling him that whatever was wrong, she would be there for him. It was then that he blurted out what James had told him. Becky had a look of horror on her face as she listened to him tell her how his son described Debbie’s condition, the fear overwhelming his voice. 


James answered his phone. His dad had asked him if anything was wrong, and James again broke down as he told Tom everything. There was silence on the other end, until the father told his son that he loved him and would be there as soon as he could.

After hanging up, James once again buried his head into Susan’s chest, sobbing uncontrollably as she tried her best to remain composed for him. His phone rang again. It was Meg. James just stared at the screen.


Meg was getting upset. She had been trying all weekend to call James, but everything went right to voicemail. She was feeling frustrated that he was avoiding her. She desperately wanted to talk to him and clear the air, but was unsuccessful. She constantly went into Amanda’s room to release her frustrations, and found an extremely sympathetic ear. So she tried once again to call James. The phone actually rang, and rang, and rang.


James answered, but before he could say a word, Meg let him know that she had been trying to reach him to talk, and he had been ignoring her, and that if he didn’t want to be with her, just let her know right then and there. Silence. Meg heard no response. She told him that she was sorry for what she did, but that if he couldn’t accept her apology, then maybe they would be better off apart. Again, nothing. Meg could feel her frustration boiling over. She told him that she was talking to him, and didn’t appreciate being ignored. 


Finally, she heard muffled sounds in the background. It sounded like an intercom. She asked him where he was, and James told her that he was at the hospital. Meg thought he was joking, until she heard the muffled sounds again. She asked him what was wrong. James kept his composure as he told her about his mom’s accident, and how that she was pregnant, and how doctors didn’t think she was going to survive. 


Now it was Meg who fell silent. She started to cry. She didn’t know what to say or do, so she felt helpless. She told him that she loved him and hung up. Once she did, she suddenly realized that her behavior and tone towards James on the phone was terrible. She started crying, and even Amanda told her that she was a little harsh. It didn’t make her big sister feel better. But once she calmed down enough, she went out to the living room and asked her dad if he could take her to the hospital. Leo asked her if she was alright. Meg said yes, and told him about James’ mom. She needed to see him to offer support. Leo told her that he would be ready in ten minutes. He could tell how upset she was.