- Text Size +

Once dinner was over, and coffee was being brewed, Meg and James went off into the backyard to spend some time together. The project was finished. There was a four foot stone wall off to the left, and it allowed Meg to sit. James climbed up to sit next to her, and they held hands. The only things left to do was to proofread the report, and print it out. James volunteered to do the proofreading, because he didn't have access to a printer that could print out a copy suitable for an Alpha. So Meg took the printing duties. And then Meg realized that James was rubbing her back again. It relaxed her and she lifted him up on her lap and started kissing him, which he returned with vigor. The adults on the porch noticed what was going on and chuckled among themselves. To be young and in love. Tom and Debbie knew that feeling well, while Susan and Becky had been more career focused, even at an early age. But all of them were happy for the kids in the backyard.


When it was time to leave, Susan offered to give Meg a ride home. Meg said that she would need to call her parents and let them know about the ride, so she asked to borrow Susan's phone, and called and let her mom know that she had a ride home. All she heard on the other end was ‘ Ok,’ and then a hang up. Meg hoped that everything was ok with her parents, but she wouldn't know for sure until she got there. So goodbyes were exchanged, as were promises of future get togethers, and phone numbers were confirmed. Meg and James said their own goodbyes. And he watched as the girl he loved get into Susan's car, and off they went.


James had a bounce in his step as he helped clean up from dinner. Debbie was going to tease him about Meg, but she didn't want to spoil his mood. She wanted to cry. She had never seen James that happy, not even on Christmas day. He had found someone who he cared about more than anything in the world, and she felt as proud and happy for him as she ever did. She considered herself blessed to have a wonderful husband in Tom, and a wonderful, handsome son in James. 


On the short ride to Meg's house, Becky and Susan remarked about the great time they just had. Susan glanced at Meg through the rearview mirror, and could tell that her mind was somewhere between cloud nine and heaven, and she just smiled to herself. She thought the obvious. Meg was a great kid, and Susan was thankful that she was nothing like her father. She was very respectful and filled with class that her dad lacked. And she thought of what a great couple Meg and James made, young and good looking with their lives ahead of them. She felt like a proud big sister to them both.


They arrived at their destination. Meg said goodbye to both Susan and Becky, and thanked them for the ride. Susan made sure that Meg made it inside before driving away. Once inside the house, Meg noticed her parents sitting apart from each other and in total silence. Both had drinks in their hands, so she guessed, correctly, that they had an argument, and were cooling off. Meg gave them both a kiss and then headed for her bedroom. Her mom sensed something different about her. She had sensed this before, smelled the perfume, and knew what was going on. Michelle Daniels got up from her chair and opened the door to Meg's room and walked in, closing it behind her.


Meg asked her mom if anything was wrong. Michelle looked at her daughter, and asked her in a steely voice how the project was coming along. Meg responded that it was pretty much done, except for proofreading and printing. Michelle asked about James. Meg wasn't sure what the question was, so she didn't answer. Michelle asked her point blank if she liked the little Beta. Meg was caught off guard, and thought about denying her feelings for him, but decided that she was going to be totally honest about the situation. So she told her mom that yes, she liked James, a lot. She even loved him. Michelle’s eyes narrowed, and she told her daughter in no uncertain terms that she was to stop seeing James. Meg looked hurt, but said she couldn't. He meant too much to her.


Michelle moved closer to Meg, and in a menacing manner, which caused the young girl to back up a few steps, and repeated her demand that Meg end her relationship with the Beta. Meg had tears forming in her eyes, but told her mom that she wouldn't break-up with James. Michelle became enraged at her daughter’s refusal to give up the boy, and without thinking, raised her hand to slap her daughter, only to be interrupted by Amanda coming in to talk to Meg. The young girl could see the raised hand, and the absolute terror in her sister's eyes. Michelle lowered her hand, and told her daughter that they would finish this discussion later. 


With that, she turned and walked out of the room, leaving a visibly shaken and crying Meg with her younger sister. Amanda hugged her older sister, and tried her best to calm her down. Meg couldn't understand her mom's reaction. In her entire life, her parents never raised a hand to her or her sister. And yet, if Amanda hadn't come in, she would have been slapped simply for loving a boy. Meg started to sob uncontrollably, and there was nothing Amanda could do to calm her older sister down, except keep hugging her. But Amanda was also upset. She had never seen her mom act like that. And she kind of dismissed Meg’s complaints about her parents as teenage drama. But now she saw it with her own eyes. She felt helpless while hugging her sister.


Susan drove to her apartment so Becky could get her car, and the topic of conversation ranged from the Sunday gathering, to James and Meg, to the upcoming week and the new job that Becky and Tom were about to embark on. Becky was nervous and excited about the new responsibility, and she was sure Tom was too. She wondered where they would be sent first. And to travel, with the company footing the bill, filled her with excitement.


James got up before his alarm, and followed his familiar morning routine. By the time his parents emerged from the bedroom, breakfast was on the table, and he was out the door, heading for the bus. As he bounded up the steps, he saw Meg in her seat. But he noticed that something was terribly wrong. Meg looked like she had been up all night crying, and he hurried to her to see what had happened. 


He tried to give her a kiss before he sat down, but she did not respond in kind. This made James nervous, as Meg was always there with a kiss. He sat down and went to hold her hand, but he couldn't move it closer to him. Meg had just looked so miserable, and without knowing what was wrong, he couldn't help her in any way. He tried to ask her what was wrong, but she didn't answer. However, he did notice tears forming in her eyes. He started to gently rub her arm, and quietly said that when she was ready to talk, he would be there, no matter how long it took. 


With his words, she started crying. James patiently waited for her to calm down enough to talk. Once she did, she told him everything that happened once she got home, leaving nothing out. James sat there and listened to her with a pain in his heart. Here was the girl he loved, and would do anything and everything he could to protect her, yet felt useless in this situation. It was a family matter, and his parents had always stressed to not get involved in other people's business, with respect to that. So he just continued to rub her arm, and kept telling her that he loved her. And that would not change, no matter what would happen. He would always be there for her. He promised.


Meg just kept thinking about the incident with her mom from the night before, and still felt terrible. Normally, James’ words would instantly make her feel better, but not this time. She was going to have to deal with the situation by herself. She couldn't get him involved, because it could put them in danger. Her mom was liable to do anything to get her way, and she had pictures of James and his father in the hospital because of her. She was starting to hate her life. 


The bus arrived at school. James waited with Meg for everyone to get off, then walked with her to home room. He just kept rubbing her arm, trying his best to assure Meg that he would always be there for her.


Tom pulled into the parking lot, and saw Becky's car, but no Becky. He was a little curious, and hoped that she didn't have any problems that he couldn't help with. He made his way into the building and to the office. He saw Becky sitting at her desk, looking happy, and said good morning to her, relieved that she was alright. She responded with a good morning to him, and he made his way to his desk, noticing the cup of coffee waiting for him, with a note saying ‘Thank You!’. It was from Becky. He turned around and saw her smiling at him. He thanked her. 


She stood up and gave him a holder for his desk. It read -Tom Adams, Assistant Director of Operational Efficiency. Tom felt proud. And when he saw Becky place one on her desk that read- Becky Curtiss Director of Operational Efficiency, he felt like a proud father. He gave her a hug, or tried his best to, considering his arms couldn't really reach all the way behind her, and told her that he was very proud of her. And he noticed that a tear had formed in his eye, which he quickly wiped away. And with that, it was a day filled with planning out strategies for whatever mine needed help. They didn't know the specifics, but Tom told her that if they had a solid, basic plan, everything else would come easy. Becky agreed with his logic. And she silently thanked God that Tom Adams was with her.


With both Meg and James upset, they were not in the right frame of mind for a pop quiz in Math. They both failed, the only two in class to do so. But the teacher always dropped the lowest quiz score, so they had nothing to worry about. It was after class that James decided to change tactics. He pointed out that, for his size as a Beta, he couldn't move her hand on the bus. And that he was glad that she was his girlfriend and not his mortal enemy, because he might be forced into the Witness Protection program, or worse, move to Alaska to avoid her wrath. 


That brought a little smile to Meg's face, and seemed to improve her mood. She bent down suddenly and gave him the most passionate kiss she could muster, and found that her mouth almost totally engulfed his face. But James didn't care. He just wanted to do anything to take away her pain, and if his face getting swallowed by her mouth made her feel better, so be it. Once she was done with her kiss, she told him that she loved him more than anything in the world, and she would never let anyone hurt him or his family, and she appreciated all he was doing for her. 


The school day proceeded uneventfully. The bus ride home filled Meg with apprehension. James offered to go with her. Meg told him that she would be alright. It was a problem that she, and she alone, needed to handle. James asked that she call him later on. He just wanted to make sure that she was doing well. Meg promised, and playfully reminded him about their pizza date that he said he would take her on. James winked at her, and said all she had to do was pick the time and place, he would handle the rest. And with that, they kissed goodbye, and James got off the bus. But before going inside, he waved at Meg as the bus drove off. He prayed that she would be ok.


Once he entered his house, he saw his parents at the table, drinking coffee and having a laugh. Debbie looked at her son, and immediately knew that something was troubling him. She asked if anything was wrong. James hesitated, and then told his parents everything Meg had told him, leaving nothing out. Tom and Debbie looked at each other, and realized that while James was pained due to his being unable to take care of Meg, it was not his place to get involved with the family matters of others. Her parents may have been assholes and pieces of shit, but they were still Meg's parents. Tom reminded his son that he wasn't to get himself involved in this matter. It had to be resolved by the Daniels and the Daniels alone. 


James looked crestfallen. It wasn't the answer he was looking for. But he knew his parents were right. It just didn't make him feel any better. His thoughts turned to Meg, and he was wondering how she was doing. He quietly turned and headed for his room. 


Once he was there, Debbie turned to Tom and asked how a girl as sweet as Meg could get stuck with lousy people as parents. It wasn't fair to her. Tom agreed, but reminded her of the old saying- you can pick your friends, not your family. And as much as it was upsetting to him that Meg was in that situation, it was not his place to interfere. Debbie agreed, but secretly was plotting ways to help Meg out if the situation became dire.


About 15 minutes after James went to his room, his new cellphone rang. It was Meg. She was ok. Her mom wasn't home. In fact, there was a note saying she went to spend a few days at her sister's house, so there wouldn't be any issues for a few days. James was happy, and told her that he loved her so much. It was then that both were surprised when they heard giggling on the line. All James heard was Meg yelling for Amanda to hang up the extension. Once they heard the click, they both started to laugh. It was the happiest Meg had been all day, and it made James the happiest person in the world.