- Text Size +

The bus arrived at Rockway High. It once had the reputation of being the home for the phony tough and the crazy brave, but that was generations ago. Paul knew the school got its reputation because of all the gang violence that seemed to plague the area around the school. But ever since the big government crackdown, things improved. The school was now considered the safest in the state, and its acedemics weren't far behind.


As the students exited the bus, a clear pecking order existed. Alphas went first. They always went first, and if a tweener or Beta tried to sneak out ahead of them, a public reprimand from an Alpha was guaranteed to happen at some point. 


So the Alphas were the first. Paul watched as Alice walked up to the tweener boys seat, bend down, and whisper something in his ear. Paul could see the look of fear grow wider in his eyes. Paul would have felt sorry for the kid, but he knew that one played with a dangerous fire if it involved an Alpha. And the boys face was still swollen.


Alice walked past his seat. Paul only came up to her thigh. She was tall for an Alpha girl, and with an attitude to match her size, avoidance was the only course of action.


Once the Alphas departed, next came the tweeners. Paul turned around and finally noticed Linda’s size. He came up to the area below her breasts. He was about to move when she asked him what he was doing. Paul replied that he was going to move so that she could leave with the rest of the tweeners. Linda replied that it wasn't necessary. She would walk out with him.


Paul had a quizzical look on his face, and asked her if she was sure, to which she replied she was. 


Finally the Betas could leave. Paul and Linda were the last. Paul went to homeroom, while Linda went to the office to finish checking in and to pick up her keycard and id. 


Paul met up with John as they entered the 20’ doors. There was a buzz that was higher than usual. Evidently, the incident between Alice and the tweener was the hot topic. School officials saw his face and asked him what had happened, but all the boy would say was that he walked into a door. The officials knew he was lying, but unless he was willing to say what did happen, they couldn't force the issue.


The boys made their way to the room, and saw the very familiar layout. Two sets of different sized desks, for Alphas and Betas were separated by an aisle right in the middle. The familiar three large steps adorned the Beta desks, allowing them to come up to chin level with a sitting Alpha. 


Paul laughed to himself because the tweeners were too big for Beta desks, and too small for the ones that Alphas used. What they needed was Goldilocks to help them out.


But by the time Paul sat at his desk Linda had entered. Paul could see that she had a great figure, and after their meeting this morning, it seemed like she had a personality to match.


The bell rung. The teacher entered and stood by her desk. Mrs Janeway was a middle aged Alpha teacher. Paul thought that she looked great, even in her 40’s. He knew that one of the side benefits of the original formula was that those who took it retained a very youthful appearance even when approaching 60.


The principal, equally as big, started off his yearly speech with the usual blah blah blah blah and have a good year. And then he was off to see the freshman class.


The period ended, and before Paul went to his first class, stopped by Mrs Janeway’s desk for a quick chat, and once over, entered the hallway. He could see that Linda was talking to someone. He approached the two, and saw that she was talking with Todd. 


Paul knew that Todd Banks was a wannabe Alpha tweener, who like to bully Betas in the hopes that he would be accepted. But besides being a bully, he was also too stupid to realize that he would never be one of them.


Paul recalled his encounter with Todd from the year before. Paul and John were heading to lunch when Todd decided to show who was the boss. He tried to first intimidate Paul and John by demanding their lunch money. He stood at least two feet taller than them. The boys refused. Next he tried the verbal threats. Again the boys refused. Next he moved towards them as a show of physical superiority. 


That was when Paul had enough. He told Todd if he wanted to fight, they would do it right there, right then. By then a crowd had formed. Paul could see the unsure look on Todd's eyes. Paul stepped towards him. Todd took a step back, then heard the crowd laughing. He looked around, then looked back at Paul, and came up with the excuse that he was late for class and left.


Paul was always taught to not take crap from anyone. And if a person the size of Todd decided to start trouble, Paul would go down swinging.