- Text Size +

Once the bus was on it's way, Linda asked Paul what was going on between him and Todd, and why they sat with him during lunch. Paul replied that for all of Todd's bluster, he sensed a totally different person underneath. He couldn't explain it. He recounted the events from freshman year. Twice in two years Todd backed down when challenged. For Paul, it told him that Todd had no stomach for a physical confrontation.


And when he saw Todd sitting by himself at lunch, he felt a little sorry for him. He was a tweener, so the Alphas ignored him, and after backing down during the scene in the hallway, even the tweeners ignored him. And that bothered him. People need 1 or 2 close friends to always be there for them. Seeing him eating alone told him that he had no one to rely on if things got tough.


Paul pointed out that Linda needed to be at a bigger table. She looked so uncomfortable hunching over eating lunch. He thought that she needed to feel normal.


Linda smiled down at him. Here was a boy she met only this morning already putting her well being above his. She was never totally sure why her parents moved to Rockway. Now she thought that maybe fate had guided them there. And then she thought how silly that sounded. Who knew why her parents moved, but she was glad they did.


Paul's house was the first stop on the way home. And as the bus started down his street, Linda took a piece of paper from her purse, jotted something, then handed it to Paul. Paul didn't know what was on the paper. Linda asked him to read it when he got home. Paul said he would. And the bus stopped to let him off.


What Linda handed to him was a piece of paper with seven numbers on it and a time. She gave him her phone number and the time to call. Paul started to feel a little strange. Girls would occasionally give him their numbers when he hung out at the mall, but it was usually a wrong number. Just something to occupy him while they went shopping.


But this was different. He felt really comfortable around her, despite their height difference. Just by virtue of her personality, one could easily forget that she stood eight feet. And now she wanted him to call her later. And at the designated time, her phone rang, and a conversation that lasted for hours commenced.


Paul woke up with a pep in his step. Showering quickly, he went to the kitchen and had breakfast. And once that was done, waited for the bus. Anticipation was driving him mad. And then he heard the familiar roar of the bus, and out the door he went.


He got on the bus, said hi to John, and sat with Linda. Seeing each other immediately put the warmest smiles on their faces. Paul made his way up the steps and sat down. They talked about yesterday’s homework, and all the history quizzes that are sure to fill the year. 


Paul asked her what she thought of the school. She said it was tough to get used to being in an actual classroom again. Her mom had taught her all these years. But before that she had gone to an elementary school until third grade. She didn't know why her parents homeschooled her. But they did.


Paul asked her if her parents were Alphas, Betas, or just like her. She said that they were Betas. And they got an Alpha sized house in anticipation of her growing. But she didn't grow as much as they thought. Now all three of them have to use the built in modifications to make the house livable. Paul put his hand in his arm, not in a sexual way, but to show her that he understood her plight.


He told her that ever since the original formula was offered, the population of people his size had dwindled to less than 10% of the world's total amount. And Betas had to quickly learn to adapt to a world that changed more rapidly than anticipated. He had read a dozen books on the subject. 


She grew quiet. Paul didn't know if he said something to upset her. He was only trying to reassure her. Goddamn your a stupid asshole, he though to himself. He wanted to apologise to her, but he wasn't sure how to.


Paul, more than anyone, knew of the plight of the tweeners. He couldn't explain it. He put himself in their shoes. When the Alphas first came to up in society, all housing being built for Betas where the last ones ever constructed.


From then on, nothing but Alpha houses were built. Betas were lucky. Existing structures built for them gave them a respite from everything Alpha. But the tweeners were too tall for any Beta house, and too small for any Alpha house. It was a no win situation for them. The government didn't care enough to build anything for them, so they were forced into houses way too big for them.


Paul looked at Linda and apologized for anything he may have said that upset her. She looked at him funny, and wanted to know what he was talking about. He told her he was talking and she got really quiet, like she was sad. She smiled at him and said that he said nothing wrong. She just thought about her Mom, and all the things she gave up to homeschool her.


Paul felt better knowing he didn't say anything to upset her. The bus was getting closer to school. And Paul started to feel like he was the luckiest guy in the world to have met someone like Linda.