- Text Size +

Paul and Linda reached homeroom and took their seats. Mrs Janeway came in and had a couple of announcements to make. But she had to wait for the stragglers to finally be seated.


One. The tickets for the Valentine's Day Dance were now on sale, and those interested were to see her after class. She advised the students not to wait, as they usually go fast.


Two. All students attending the dance are expected to be on their best behavior. Teachers and support staff would be walking around the halls during the event to ensure that there were no issues. Anybody with questions should see the principal.


And with the announcements out of the way, and homeroom over, Paul and Linda made their way to first class. History. It was a good thing Paul loved history, because the teacher’s style was so boring, he could put a person who was in a coma into an even deeper coma. Linda appreciated the fact that Paul loved history, because she had her own tutor at her beck and call.


And the day went by pretty quickly, with no incidents or any hint of trouble. Paul and Linda had Mrs Janeway for English, and after class, bought their tickets for the upcoming dance.


And then it was off to the bus, and on the way to Linda's house. Her parents were home, and once again, her mom had two cups of hot chocolate for them on the counter. 


Paul and Linda enjoyed their drinks. Linda wanted to ask him a personal question, but didn't know how to approach him. Paul could see that she had something on her mind. He had always told her that she could ask him anything she wanted, anything at all.


So she gently asked him how he felt about being a Beta in an ever changing Alpha world. He looked at her, not sure how to respond. He never really thought about it. For all the rumors about Alphas mistreatment of Betas, Paul never had a problem. It wasn't like he was a physical threat to them. But they were pretty nice people. It was Jill that was different. But he told her that he had no problem. He explained that when he was old enough to take the formula, his parents were unemployed, and they couldn't afford the cost of getting him the treatment. So he just accepted what his life would be.


He told her the truth. He accepted his size in the world and didn't resent anyone who did take the formula. So, it allowed him to be happy with his life. And besides, if he was an Alpha, he wouldn't be able to sit on her lap, as he winked at her. And he asked her the same question.


She laughed. She told him that when she realized that the formula variant she took wouldn't work as promised, she was very disappointed at first. But her parents kept her grounded in reality, pointing out that the world is made up of different people. Everyone must find their own path.


Paul nodded and said that was great advice. And they looked into each other's eyes, and realized that the journey on their own paths led them to each other. 


Victor and Stephanie came in from outside, and seeing the two still drinking the hot chocolate, asked them how their day went. Both smiled and replied that went very well. They aced their quizzes and got the dance tickets. The dance was less than 10 days away, and hopefully the time would fly.


After dinner, the Mills took him home as usual. Stephanie could see Paul and Linda kissing in the back, and smiled as she looked at her husband. 


Paul said goodnight to them and went inside his house. Saying both hi and good night at the same time, his parents stopped him before he went to bed. They asked him to sit. 


They asked him to be completely honest. They wanted to know if Jill had made any threatening moves or was harassing him and Linda. Paul assured them that Jill had been on her best behavior since her suspension ended. But he also told them that he was always aware of where she was during the day. Satisfied, his parents said goodnight, and Paul went to his room.


Paul was dancing with Linda. The music was both romantic and lively. Everyone was having a great time. They were lost in their own world, thinking about their future. 


Linda said that she had to use the restroom, and left through the gym door. Paul was blowing kisses at her. He was just amazed that he had found her. But as she exited, he saw a figure at the back of the gym exiting also.


Paul recognized the shape. He immediately rushed towards the door. But he was hindered by the mass of humanity on the dance floor. He was screaming that Linda was in trouble, but no one heard him. 


He finally reached the door and made a beeline towards the girls’ bathroom. As he reached the door, he could hear Linda's voice. She was crying and begging Jill to let go of her. 


Paul rushed in and tried to attack Jill, but with her immense size, his attack failed. Jill grabbed him by his shirt, and smiled. She gave him a mocking kiss, then threw him against the wall with force. Paul hit and felt every bone in his body break. As he was sinking to the floor, he told Linda he loved her as the room went black.


Paul woke up with his familiar sweat. He made his way to the bathroom. Why did he keep dreaming about Jill? He didn't know, but with the dance getting closer, he was starting to get nervous. He didn't believe in being able to predict the future, but three dreams in a short amount of time gave him an uneasy feeling. But he wouldn't say anything to Linda. He didn't want to upset her.


After his usual morning routine, Paul caught the bus. A hi to John and Mindy, and a beeline for Linda. He looked around before he took his seat and noticed Alice and George sitting apart. Uh oh, he thought, trouble in paradise.


And the day followed the familiar pattern. Time was dragging during the school day, but flying once he was at Linda's house. Soon, it was the day of the dance. Valentine's Day fell on a Saturday, so there wasn't any need to be up early the next day, which the students were thankful for.


Paul and Linda talked almost the entire day on the phone. Excitement was in the air. Paul couldn't wait to wear his new suit. Linda was excited to wear her new dress. Her parents would pick him up at 6:30, and head for the school gym.


And once the clock struck 7, the dance started. Slow, romantic tunes to set the mood. Linda and Paul were first on the floor, and that broke the ice, as soon the floor was filled with extremely large bodies. 


Everyone was getting into the mood. The DJ switched it up and played faster songs, but everyone remained on the floor. After the third fast song, Paul asked Linda if she wanted some punch. She smiled and said yes.


Paul and Linda were dancing the night away. Soon it was time for the Dance Off Competition. Couples showing off their moves, winners getting a trophy. Paul and Linda decided to sit this one out. Linda told Paul that she had to use the bathroom, and Paul watched her leave through the gym doors. He immediately remembered his dream. Scanning the back of the gym, he didn't see any unusual movement.


But after five minutes, Linda hadn't returned. Paul was getting nervous. Ten minutes, and still no Linda. Paul got down from his chair and was heading towards the door when Linda suddenly appeared, with another tweener girl. They were laughing like they didn't have a care in the world. Paul immediately breathed a heavy sigh of relief. Knowing Linda was ok calmed his nerves.


Once she and the girl separated, she sat next to him and gave him a kiss. Paul realized that he needed to go to the bathroom himself. He headed towards the door and had just turned the corner when he felt a large hand grab the back of his jacket and lift him up.


He instantly knew who it was. Fuck! He thought to himself. Security was supposed to be patrolling the halls, but were distracted by the dance off. He tried to yell for help, but with the music blasting, it was no use. 


He found himself heading for a classroom. He was now at the mercy of Jill, and he knew Jill had no mercy. So into the room he went. He was dropped to the floor, landing in such a way that his ankle started to burn.


Turning around, he saw Jill standing there. She had that smile from his dreams. Paul was terrified, but tried to remain calm as best he could. Jill just stared at him. Thinking quickly, Paul wanted to know if he could ask her a question. 


Jill was expecting the usual ‘why are you doing this me’ question. She instantly dismissed his request, but Paul asked anyway. He just wanted to know why she hated the tweeners so much.


The question made Jill stop and think. Paul could see that the evil look in her eyes was replaced by emotions flooding through her. He knew he couldn't escape. But he saw that he hit a nerve that made her hesitate. He was praying that Linda would notice that he hadn't come back from the bathroom, and maybe have people look for him. It was his only chance.