- Text Size +

Linda and her mom were cooking dinner, while her dad and Paul took a walk out back. Linda wasn't saying much. She was mad. Mad that her parents had her call up  the guy she loved and made arrangements for him to come to her house, only to ambush him like he was the enemy.


She looked at her mom, wondering how the person who spent years telling her all those wonderful tales of kindness and love in the world, could then treat Paul like she did.


She stopped, and asked why? Why? Tell her why? She needed to know! Linda's voice was rising in volume and intensity. 


Her mom was taken aback by this. Linda had never raised her voice before. But she could tell Linda was getting angry. She tried to assure Linda that she and her father only needed to make sure that Paul really had her best interests at heart.


Linda told her mom that she didn't want to hear it. Paul had been over for dinner before, they had talked to him, and Paul had been very honest with them, and their behavior tonight was something that she couldn't forgive.


She told her mom that if they couldn't trust her judgement with regards to Paul, then they didn't raise her right. Her feelings towards Paul were the only ones that mattered. She loved him, she trusted him, and she would do what she had to do to protect him. And she hoped that they never treated Paul like that again. 


Linda's mom started crying. All those years of protecting her from abusive behavior from others, and what they did to Paul was worse. He was the one guy who treated their daughter like a queen, and they basically shit on him under the guise of trying to protect her. They sensed from the first time they meant him that he was different, not like other boys who were only interested in Linda because of her height. This boy truly cared for her, and they just treated him poorly, poorly enough to make him cry. Linda's mom ran out of the kitchen and into her room.


Paul and Victor stepped through the door and into the back yard. Paul was very quiet, giving one word answers to his questions. Victor felt guilty about what happened earlier. Paul had been very good to his only child, seeing her for the beautiful, kind young lady that she had become. 


Paul had a good heart, a kind soul, and honor. And how was he repaid? He was given an interrogation for no other reason than they were afraid to lose their little girl. Linda may have been 8’, but she was still his little girl.


Victor stopped, and turned towards Paul. He wanted to know if he could ask him a question. Paul was unsure, but said yes anyway. Victor wanted to know if would mind explaining everything that happened in school from the first day he met Linda, and he meant everything.


Paul was hesitant. Victor could see a pained look on his face, but Paul explained everything. How he introduced himself, the situation with Todd, the subsequent bullying of Todd by an Alpha girl, and his attempts to intervene and the girls actions towards him. He recounted reaching a truce with Todd, his encounter with Alice outside the locker room, and the events on the bus the morning after his visit here.


And how he had to face Alice and her friends alone in order to make sure John was safe, and how he had an arrangement with Alice that he wouldn't intervene if he came across an Alpha bullying another student, and how it was made clear to him that if he did break the agreement, his friends, including Linda, would be punished.


He explained to Victor how he has been wracked by guilt for putting his friends in this position, and feeling sorry for himself so much that it was affecting the people around him, and how the one thing that has been the bright light in his life has been Linda. 


He told Victor that she never left his side during any of this, and it was his love for her that snapped him out of whatever he was feeling.


Victor was quiet. It sounded to him that Paul had been through so much, and then he piled more on top of him. He was feeling terrible. The one guy who was stealing his little girl’s heart, and he treated him worse than shit. 


He looked Paul in the eye, and said that what he put him through earlier was wrong, and he would never be able to forgive himself for his actions. It was like what he and Paul had talked about the first time had been forgotten as soon as he heard Linda talk about the scene from school earlier in the day. 


He told Paul that he had been blinded by fear. His girl grew up and found someone, and he, her father, couldn't handle it. He knew that Paul had every right not to forgive him, but ask if he could try.


Paul looked at Victor, and wanted to say something to him first. He told Victor that he had always hated bullies, and felt compelled to try and help those who were. And it was because of his actions that put a target on Linda's back, and for that he could never forgive himself. 


But from the moment he met her, he just felt a connection. He couldn't explain it. But Linda quickly became the most important person in his life, and he would do anything to protect her, and make sure she was safe. 


Victor now understood what Linda felt. Here was a young man who showed tremendous courage, and opened his heart honestly, and was treated poorly by him just for loving his daughter.


Paul looked at Victor, held out his hand, and said that yes, he did forgive him. And instead of a handshake, Victor gave him a hug and said thank you.


The men came into the kitchen, only to see Linda by herself. Victor could see her expression wasn't one of joy, and asked Paul to wait in the living room. 


After Paul left the, Linda looked at her dad, and said that she didn't want him to treat Paul like that again. Ever! Her voice was raised. 


Her dad held up his hand, and informed her that he had felt terrible about the way he treated Paul. And he talked with him, and found out just what he had been going through, including his deal with Alice.


This surprised Linda. She didn't even know what kind of deal Paul made with Alice. But he obviously told her father. She would ask him later.


Her father continued, saying that he didn't know how low Paul's emotional state was when they wanted him to come over. He asked Linda if she could forgive him for his actions. 


Linda noticed a small tear in the corner of her father's eye. She bent down and gave him a hug, and said she forgave him. She also said that dinner would be ready soon.