- Text Size +

Eren did not usually frequent bars. They were loud, the drinks were more expensive than going to a liquor store, and above all else he and his wife much preferred a nice glass of wine at home if they had the urge to drink. 

 

Only on special occasions would they go out to eat. Since they spent so much time at their own restaurant it was hard to justify not using up whatever surplus they had leftover at the end of the day. Invariably there would be a fresh batch of savory banchans after the last customer left, so to avoid waste Jisoo would simply pack it up and bring everything home.

 

They had a tad bit more leftovers than usual nowadays since they were one staff member short. Every time they considered hiring a temporary replacement for Tae-yeon while she was in school overseas, both Eren and his wife decided against it. 

 

Nobody could ever replace their daughter, even if it was just as a waitress. “...do you have everything you need? Clothes, enough money for books and gas?” Jisoo was saying as they video called Tae-yeon. “Your father and I thought we might see if you need a new laptop…”

 

“Mom, really I’m fine! If I need anything I’ll let you guys know.” Tae-yeon insisted for the umpteenth time, although it certainly wouldn’t be the last time they had this exact same conversation. 

 

Eren chuckled and clambered up his wife’s enormous left thigh to get a better view at the cinema-sized screen. “Well just remember we are both here for you if something happens. And that applies to Nat and Arlo too.” He reminded her and placed a comforting hand on Jisoo’s leg. Begrudgingly the titaness allowed herself to exhale, her shoulders relaxed for the first time that evening. “And how are they doing by the way? Is Arlo feeling better?” 

 

“I’m actually about to go out with them for breakfast! And yeah Arlo is feeling a lot better, I uh… gave him some of mom’s home remedies and that really seemed to do the trick.” Tae-yeon revealed sheepishly.

 

At that Jisoo crossed her arms knowingly. Before she could say anything their daughter quickly continued. “Look I swear I was careful! Arlo was really sick and we were really worried about him!” Tae-yeon professed. “Both his moms gave me permission, and I didn’t want him to miss any school before midterms!”

 

“Regardless, you should have called me to handle it if it was that serious. I don’t need to remind you what could go wrong if you use your abilities improperly.” Jisoo chided sternly, but her expression softened after Tae-yeon appeared quite dejected. “...But that was very sweet of you, and I’m proud that you thought to ask Maddie and Maeve first! Just be careful, tell both Nat and Arlo to be safe and… Promise you’ll call more? It doesn’t have to be everyday just at least once a week, please?” She pleaded.

 

Tae-yeon nodded enthusiastically. “You got it! Now that I’ve got a bit more time on my hands I’ll be sure to keep in touch, it’s just been really hectic on my end.” She explained. “I gotta go now otherwise I’ll be late to meet Nat and Arlo, I love you guys!”

 

“We love you too, Tae.” Eren said, before they hung up. No sooner had the video cut when the diminutive man sighed and leaned back in mental exhaustion. 

 

He reclined against his wife’s taut, ridged belly and rubbed his eyes. “I really miss her.” Eren murmured as Jisoo closed the laptop. “I knew it would be difficult but still…”

 

“We made the right decision, even though it hurts.” Jisoo replied earnestly, although he could hear the pain in her voice. She glanced up at the mantle above the fireplace and stared at the old pictures longingly. “It feels like just yesterday we were taking her to school for the first time, or picking her up from practice. Attending parent teacher conferences…”

 

“And no matter what she’s always been responsible with her powers. That’s because of you.” Eren mentioned. 

 

When Tae-yeon was younger, they were concerned she might use her abilities as a spirit recklessly. Just like her mother she had to treat the world like it was made of glass. It was hard for Jisoo to explain to her daughter why she had to study and work hard when with the snap of her fingers she could intuitively know the answer to any problem or question, create whatever money she needed for her own purposes, or just materialize anything she desired. 

 

And whenever Tae-yeon demanded to know why she could never exploit her power for whatever selfish purpose she desired, no matter how seemingly innocuous or inconsequential, her mother always had the same response. Because you are a person. Not a god.

 

It was a lesson Tae-yeon had truly taken to heart. “I’m happy she wanted to help her friend feel better. Like always her intentions are pure…” Jisoo stood up and carried Eren with her upstairs into the bedroom. “I’m just worried about what might happen if she ever made a mistake. Or worse becomes ruled by her emotions like I was for so long… And you know I love her dearly, but the same can be said regarding Nat and her past life. Are they both ready to venture off on their own?”

 

“You didn’t have the support network Tae-yeon has. There’s no Amrita Corporation around to warp and twist her worldview.” Eren said reassuringly. “And the same can be said for Natsuki, she doesn’t have the fate of an entire species resting on her back anymore. Both of them have grown up.”

 

“...I guess I’m just coming up with excuses then, aren’t I?” Jisoo murmured and flopped down onto the bed miserably. She sighed loudly as Eren strolled next to her cheek and brushed the dark hair away from her face. “We’re just experiencing empty nest syndrome.”

 

“It’s to be expected, but sooner or later this would have to happen.” Eren agreed and gave his wife a kiss on the cheek. “We couldn’t convince her to stay another year here while her friends are abroad getting to explore the world. Tae-yeon, Nat, Arlo… They’re not little kids anymore.” He reminded her.

 

Although that didn’t make it any easier for any parent to know this was just an ordinary part of life. Watching their kids grow up and become their own people. As much as both he and Jisoo would have loved for Tae-yeon to be a waitress in the family owned restaurant for the rest of her life, it wouldn’t have been what their daughter wanted or deserved. 

 

There would be other momentous days down the road. Eventually after she graduated, Tae-yeon wouldn’t come home for the holidays. Her home would be in her own place while she worked her own job. Paid her own bills and lived her own life. Afterwards…

 

Jisoo peeked one eye open and chuckled. “You’re trying to play tough but I can see how much you miss your little girl.” She remarked, her eyes flashing gold. “But I appreciate you trying to hold it together for my sake.”

 

“Was it that obvious or did you read my mind?” It didn’t really matter but Eren could only agree. He lost his footing amidst a hurricane of Jisoo’s hair when she rose from the bed and playfully knocked him onto his back. 

 

She placed a massive fingertip on his chest to keep him pinned to the blanket. “Admit it.” Jisoo demanded with a giggle. “You’re a wreck without her around.”

 

“…Yeah. I am.” Eren said truthfully, and wiped a tear from his eye that could no longer be held back. It felt good to finally admit what he had been hiding all this time, but they should at least be honest about their feelings. 

 

Both of them were uncomfortably accustomed to loss. This felt different. Perhaps because it was the end of an era they had grown to love, their time as nurturing parents was over. Tae-yeon was pretty much her own woman now who didn’t need them anymore. 

 

Her decision to stay in Los Angeles with her friends for spring break rather than make the journey back to Busan felt… strangely mature. She had worked hard to get excellent grades, acquired her own scholarships through athletic activities, participated in clubs and other extracurriculars on top of that. Tae-yeon had built a network for herself and couldn’t be expected to spend her free time across the world with only her parents to hang out with.

 

Jisoo leaned forward and pressed her enormous plush lips into Eren. She could taste the faintest trace of salt from his tears which he had finally relinquished a hold of. “I’m proud of her.” She whispered. “And I’m proud of us… I… I didn’t know if we could have raised a child properly, but we did.” 

 

“I love you.” Eren said in between passionate kisses as they embraced. “Both of you.”

 

“I love you too.”