- Text Size +

Not much had changed since the last time Maddie saw Jefferson Commune. It was still a modest shanty town with buildings constructed mostly of milk crates and shoe boxes. The improvements she had made months ago miraculously had not been torn down by elements or city employees. 

 

The biggest difference between now and back then was a crowd of protestors near the front gate held back by a detachment of police. What had started as a small-scale demonstration could break out into a riot at any moment, but fortunately their anger was for once not directed at the denizens of the commune.

 

Rather the crowd was furious at the establishment that had created the Commune in the first place, lied about it, and encouraged the citizens to treat their smaller counterparts like vermin through generations of propaganda. Needless to say, people weren’t particularly happy about it.

 

Of course it wouldn’t be a free society without a healthy batch of counterprostestors that wanted the outright genocide of specks also present. Maddie liked to think they were in the minority, but could not be entirely sure. “It’s up ahead… Past the oak tree.” Maddie remarked quietly, and guided the colossal woman sent to escort them into the Commune. 

 

The woman nodded. “I see it. I cannot believe these people have been forced to live in such deplorable conditions for so long…” 

 

“It was worse before.” Maeve reminded their escort. 

 

Jessica was a fairly agreeable woman despite her outwardly deadpan demeanor. 

She had been an old friend of Ren before they went their separate ways after university. Jessica had gone on to attend law school, and in a bizarre twist of fate decided to become an attorney who specialized in speck-related civil cases. Of course that meant although she graduated at the top of her class, she faced social ostracization and lost most of her cases to bigoted judges. 

 

Now she was at the forefront of the legal pushback from formerly fringe speck rights organizations that had seen a surge in popularity and membership in the past month. “May I ask who the current Mayor is?” Jessica inquired.

 

“Adams was in charge when last Ren was here.” Maddie recalled. “But that was some time ago. The average life expectancy of a Mayor here is only a few months, I don’t know if he is still alive.” 

 

“I understand.” Jessica said solemnly, and scanned the grass lest she accidentally crush a speck who had hidden upon her approach. Eventually they reached the outskirts of Yorktown, the largest of the shantytowns and closest in proximity to the gate where food was dropped off by city employees every so often when they could be bothered to do their jobs. 

 

As was usual when approached by an unknown brob, all of the specks were completely hidden. It was not unheard of for someone to barge into their territory, and lookouts were posted everywhere to keep an eye out for possible threats. 

 

Slowly they emerged from their homes when they recognized the two tiny women on the shoulders of Jessica. 

 

Albeit Maddie was much smaller than any of them recalled. “M-Maeve? Maddie?” Someone exclaimed in bewilderment. It had been months since either of them were last seen. “H-How are you…?”

 

“Hey Cole! It’s good to see you again!” Maeve cut in cheerfully, and at her behest was deposited on the ground in front of Jessica’s heels. To the surprise of everybody present, she jogged across the field and gave her old friend a big hug. 

 

The young man was too surprised to reciprocate the gesture at first. “Your leg… how~?”

 

“Oh that? It’s a bit of a long story, I’ll explain later.” Maeve dismissed and pulled away while a few other specks gathered around her in awe to see her back on two feet. The dark haired girl looked around and smiled broadly. “Mister Adams! It’s so good to see you again!” She squealed and found the middle-aged speck amongst the curious onlookers.

 

The wispy haired man smiled gently, but his eyes never left Jessica who loomed over his town. “Likewise. We heard that Maddie had passed away in a terrible accident, and Miss Ruiwen had told us you were nowhere to be found.” He stated. “I suppose that is another long story?” 

 

“Yeah, but don’t worry! I’m here to stay now and I’ll tell you everything later.”

 

“Excuse me, Mayor Adams?” Jessica cut in and cleared her throat. Even in her hushed tone, the giantess’s voice was like the roll of thunder and shook some of the weaker buildings. Instantly all of the side-conversations ceased and the other specks looked at her nervously, even when the titanic woman got down on her haunches. 

 

There was a hint of fear in Adams eyes, but as bravely as a speck could he walked forward to address her directly. “My name is Jessica Nguyen.”

 

“It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. How may I be of service?”

 

“Actually, I am here with the intent of helping you. You see, I’m a criminal justice attorney.” Jessica replied and set her briefcase on the grass. “I’ve been appointed to represent Jefferson Commune for an upcoming lawsuit against the state. And to give you this.” She explained, and removed a piece of paper from a folder in the briefcase which she carefully handed to Adams. 

 

It was not very heavy, but the paper was several times larger than Adams was tall. A few other specks jumped in to help him carry it, and their eyes went wide when they recognized what the paper was. “A check?” One of them murmured. “This signature…”

 

“This check was signed by Baochai Fang. I have already made the account for your convenience, and have ensured the funds were appropriately deposited for you, minus taxes of course.” 

 

“Miss Nguyen this is a very generous sentiment, but as a lawyer surely you are aware of the laws which prohibit such donations. I am afraid we cannot accept this.” 

 

“On the contrary, my client is perfectly aware of this law. Until said law is determined to be unconstitutional, we utilized a rather simple loophole. We purchased the companies given the right to provide necessities for specks.” She revealed. 

 

Jessica gestured towards the gate where city trucks occasionally came in to drop off supplies. “We have replaced the city-employees who failed to provide the commune with reasonable accommodations.” She told them. “While they are under criminal investigation for their malicious negligence, we have found more amicable companies to begin renovations.”

 

“Renovations?” Adams repeated skeptically. 

 

Most often when lawyers used that word, it meant their entire community would be reduced or partially bulldozed. 

 

“I hope you don’t mind, but I arranged to have improvements made to the Commune infrastructure. Proper residential housing, ample food supplies, medical equipment, modernized heat and trustworthy security services are just the start.” Jessica went on, a little smile on her face. “The rest of the money is all yours to spend as you wish. I will happily facilitate any transactions for you and seek out amicable business partners who will not discriminate against specks.”

 





Seldom had Eren ever seen a Speck Commune awash with joy. Even on special occasions when miraculously there was a small excess of supplies like food on a holiday, everybody lived with the grim knowledge such reprieve was temporary.

 

Some of the older and more experienced specks were still very skeptical, but they appreciated the meals that Jessica had brought for everybody to share in a grand picnic attended by residents of the other shantytowns. Notably, Maeve was the life of the festivities as others celebrated with her. Now that she had her leg again, she could dance. 

 

Maddie bit into a slice of pizza as she and Eren watched from a distance. “This feels a bit premature.” She mentioned after a long silence. “But I’m happy for them.”

 

“Some people will be furious that public perception on specks is being seen in a new light for the first time, just like the counter-protestors you guys saw earlier.” Eren agreed between bites. “It will be dangerous here. Are you sure you want to stay?”

 

“I would like to visit my grandfather before long, but after that I think this will become the best place for me. Your sister-in-law offered me a job y’know, and promised I could work from home.”

 

“Suji dissolved the Amrita Corporation, what job can she offer you?”

 

“Even without the Amrita Corporation and only her personal wealth, ‘Baochai’ is still the richest person on the planet by a wide margin.” She replied. “After she dissolved the overarching corporation and released all the subsidiaries, she immediately repurchased all the legitimate smaller companies.” Maddie informed him. 

 

She really is the reincarnation of Baochai. Her business sense is extraordinary. Eren thought and reached for another slice. “So she’ll make her own company.” He realized. “One that aims to fix all the problems the Amrita Corporation created. Will you accept her offer?”

 

“...I think I will. When we spoke, Suji made it clear she wants to change the world for the better.” She replied. “When I first started my own business, I read many of her books for guidance. Baochai Fang is a remarkable woman, and I would love to learn from her. Besides, it would make my parents happy to know I managed to land a cushy corporate job in the end.” Maddie explained with a smirk. 

 

Eren nodded. “What will you tell them when they find out you’re a speck?” He asked. “They already mourned for you at your ‘funeral’.”

 

“I’m one of the Amrita Corporation’s countless victims. They’ll just be grateful that I’m alive.” Maddie said. “But even if they want me to come back to live with them, I’ll probably refuse. This Commune is where I plan to stay for a while.”  She professed.

 

They finished off the remainder of the pizza and watched the party go on for a few more minutes. With the revelation that specks were in fact not just the left over refuse from a freak accident a century ago, but victims of an insane plan at world domination, perhaps the world would come to accept them. 

 

Eventually. 

 

“This only happened because Suji thought everything hinged on you. She believed that Jisoo would have made her decision to shrink the world depending on your opinion.” Maddie said after some more time had passed. 

 

Honestly, that’s a pretty fair assessment of what Jisoo would do. I doubt she would have gone through with a Second Diminution if I didn’t approve. Eren considered. “She was probably right to think that.”

 

“So I am curious then; if Jisoo had told you her plan earlier, what would your response have been?” 

 

“Does it really matter anymore?”

 

“Maybe. If a year passes and the world isn’t where it ought to be, it will all come down to you.” She reasoned. “If that is the case, I want to know.” Maddie asked more directly.

 

This time Eren took a long time before he answered. Or rather, before he admitted it. “If Jisoo had come to me and explained her motivations, I would have supported her plan to shrink everybody.” He confirmed. “Although as a speck I am obviously very biased. Both of us are, because we would have everything to gain and nothing to lose.”

 

“Ah, so there’s still a chance then. I look forward to seeing what happens over the course of the next year. Humanity will ultimately choose its own fate depending on their own collective actions.” 

 

“Perhaps that’s for the best.” A voice remarked from behind them, followed by a series of thunderous footsteps. Jisoo appeared at-will in the clearing, then sat with her legs crossed next to her two friends. “It wouldn’t be fair to not give people at least some time to change their ways.”

 

“You really think a single year will be enough?”

 

“No.” Jisoo replied flatly. “Personally I believe that Suji is being laughably optimistic about this, but there’s no harm in letting her give it her best shot. Deep down we both want the same thing, we just disagree with the way to get there. Unfortunately there are no clear-cut and simple solutions to the dilemma both of us created a century ago, only less harmful ones.” She professed.

 

Her gaze fixated on Maeve, who looked happier than she had in months. It was not that long ago she had stared death in the eye and been a sex slave for a sadistic giantess who took pleasure in their suffering. 

 

Now Maeve was surrounded by her childhood friends in her home once again, her injury healed and the community hopefully en route to great improvements. “I’ll keep an eye on you guys to make sure you remain safe, but please don’t hesitate to call me if you need anything.” Jisoo mentioned. 

 

Maddie smiled and nodded at her old enemy, now a close friend. “Well duh, both of you will have to visit often!” She agreed. “So what’s next for you guys then?”

 

“...I need to visit an old friend.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hey everybody, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for continuing to read and support Deliverance as we approach the ending in the coming chapters. When I first drafted this story, I never thought it would become so popular and well-regarded, it has been a pleasure reading all the theories and comments throughout the past year.

 

I hope you enjoy the next few final updates before we are finished, look forward to other iterations in the same universe at some point. And as always thank you for reading! - Kardo