- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Celeste is enjoying her powers.


+++


Sitting with her legs curled on her bed, Celeste's thumb took another swipe on her phone screen. Her eyes were scanning endless lines of comments made by various people on social media, some of them her friends. Each comment appeared funnier than the other, at least to Celeste. It made her chuckle.

It all revolved around the same subject. The inexplicable shrinkage of people and infrastructure throughout the region. People were frightened.

Hundreds of shrunken citizens were being studied in a specially established clinic by renowned doctors and scientists from around the globe. These so-called knowledgeable eggheads were all eager to conduct tests on many unfortunate guinea pigs who were desperate to be restored to their original size.

They were even more eager to be the first to find a solution for this inauspicious fate that kept striking an increasing number of people.

So the competition between these academics was harsh. It no longer revolved around helping the victims and their families but becoming the one enforcing a scientific breakthrough – and subsequently achieving unparalleled fame, a Nobel prize, and a standing ovation.

But none of them understood that it all lay in the hands of one teenage girl named Celeste, who gradually became more powerful with each passing day. She was the one who shrunk all these people, and she was the one who could grow them back – whenever the mood takes her, that is.

However, that wasn't the case at this moment. Celeste found this disarray and fear much too fun to observe. She had free reign in developing her powers. No one could trace it back to her. At least, not at this stage. Celeste could slap herself in the face for being careless in using her powers so freely during her vacation on the other side of the continent.

That one made it definitely easier to trace things back to her.

Celeste also feared that she was in the crosshairs of the local police concerning the missing of Sonny, the neighbor boy. To her surprise, no officer had come asking her questions about the event. Wilfred knew it, though. As well as he and her mother knew about her powers.

Celeste realized that it would only be a matter of time before she was on full lock by the authorities. Nonetheless, had Celeste the confidence that she would be a powerhouse by then and that it would be easy for her to deal with such a nuisance. Celeste had no doubt that she would be unstoppable one day. She had this inner knowing that told her that she would be able to shrink whole cities in the future – or countries even. Such power would allow her to subjugate entire nations with the sheer power of her mind.

But not right now. For now, Celeste had to make do with staying incognito and enjoying the disorder that spreads throughout society like an oil leak in the sea.

Celeste took a gander at a conversation that took place in a chatroom she frequented.

(12:04) ScratchyBallsack says: I swear, I will blow my brain out if I get shrunk. Ain't no nerd is going to run tests on me!

(12:04) Beef_Sistersays: With what gun?

(12:05) OprahWindfury says: @Beef_Sister Don't give attention to that melancholic asshat. He will probably hang himself with his mother's bra this afternoon and then whine tomorrow that the damn thing snapped.

(12:06) ScratchyBallsack says: @OprahWindfury shut it, slut! Or I'm coming over to penetrate that maidenhead of yours!

(12:06) OprahWindfury says: I'm a proud mother of a twin, dickhead.

(12:07) ScratchyBallsack says: Then what the hell you doing in a teen's chatroom?

(12:07) OprahWindfury says: That's because I AM a teen!

(12:08) Oiled_Spartan says: All jokes aside, peeps. My aunt's husband is still held at that facility crested on the hill. And she's not even allowed to see him! What are they doing there? I'm serious, man. It scares the shit out of me!

(12:09) Rihanna's_Cunt says: Make arrangements with people you trust. That's the only advice I can give. Make sure that others will take care of you, or you of them, if one of you shrinks down someday. That way, you won't end up in some shady laboratory.

(12:09) PrettyEyes says: @Rihanna's_Cunt I already have. I'm taking care of three shrunken relatives right now. One of them is in my purse as I write.

(12:10) Bearded_Leonidas says: Idiot! Big brother will trace your IP. They are probably knocking at your door right now!

(12:10) PrettyEyes says: Don't get your hopes up, @Bearded_Leonidas I'm at an internet cafe.

(12:11)SinisterChill says: Is anyone else seeing this?! Campfield Stadium is shrinking as we speak!

Satisfied, Celeste clicked her phone on standby and placed it on the bed next to her lap. SinisterChill was one of the many pseudonyms she used online. While typing this last sentence, Celeste's mind reached out to Campfield Stadium, more than 80 miles away from her – where an important game was being played – and compelled it to shrink.

Celeste loved to be the first with breaking news. Especially when she was the one causing it.

In a few minutes, she would check out the chatroom again and laugh about all the panicked messages that would inevitably follow this event.

But first, she would take a gander at something else. Leaping off her bed, Celeste sauntered over to her desk, parked her tight ass on the swivel chair and leaned her chin on her stacked forearms.

She observed a glass-framed box of one square foot stationed on her desk. The vague contours her eyes could discern within the gloomy box flashed to a clear picture when her finger switched a light on, showing a picturesque scene of a miniature farm village with a handful of houses slightly bigger than Duplo bricks.

A stable with microsized whinnying horses stood next to a hay storage barn with a red roof. Adjacent to another stable stretched out a 'vast' field of grass where a dozen minuscule cows were grazing. There were also sheep, goats, and chickens milling about, and several agricultural lands surrounding the farm and a tree yard.

A church was placed at the center of it all, containing rich colored stained glass at its sides and a bell tower jutting above it.

Shrunken people – roughly the size of peas – came creeping out of their homes, reacting to the artificial sun their captor created for them. Whole families huddled together, gaping at the one responsible for their new entrapped existence. There were couples with children, elders, and individuals that belonged to no one in particular. Celeste scrutinized them all thoughtfully.

Celeste knew none of these people. She chose them randomly and merely snatched them away from their former life under the effect of a whim – just like she did with the stadium a couple of minutes ago.

"Well, go on, do your thing," Celeste urged as her beautiful face loomed over her shrunken, captured captives.

She wanted to see them working on the field, herding the animals, mending the barn, and all others things you do at a farm.

Celeste enjoyed seeing them do what they're supposed to do – according to her, that is – without paying attention to her presence.

Well, Celeste could not blame them. She was, after all, a very prominent presence. Perhaps they needed a little nudge. Celeste's mind reached out, clasped some of the shrinkees, and compelled their bodies into motion. A woman and her children shrieked when suddenly their husband's body went airborne and floated in the direction of a crop field, compelled by Celeste's powers. The same thing happened to others, whose bodies floated towards the hen house, the horse stable, the tree yard, the meadow with the grazing cows, and some of them were placed in front of the church.

"Get to work," Celeste said. A satisfied smile crept on her face – making her even prettier than she already was – when she saw them give ear to her command. Tools were being gathered, eggs were being picked up, and ladders were being placed against the barn and the apple trees.

Celeste leaned back in her chair, crossed her legs and arms and enjoyed the sight for a few minutes before the thought of the stadium seeped into her mind.

She stood up from the chair – unintentionally scaring the people in her micro-farm with her sudden movement – turned around to walk to her bed again to grab her phone. The first thing she did was check out some news sites where she saw footage taken by witnesses of Campfield stadium as it dwindled in size rapidly. The stadium stands were filled to the rafters with supporting fans who were now panicking like stampeding buffalos. Everyone wanted to exit the shrinking stadium. Because everyone who was still in was shrinking too.

It amused Celeste to see it all, hear people screaming, and hear reporters talking about it with stirred-up voices while a pandemonium was breaking loose in the background. Celeste felt in control, and she did not fear the devices placed throughout the city by the government either.

These highly advanced machines aimed to measure a spike of any kind of radiation generated during a shrink attack. The hope was that it would allow them to find its source. Celeste was pretty sure that her mind radiated some kind of emission of energy while using her powers, but luckily not something that could be measured by these machines. She was able to operate entirely under the radar. In conclusion, Celeste checked out the chatroom, chuckled about all the freaked-out comments, and found it high time for a nice, comfy nap after all this hard work.

Chapter End Notes:

Early access to this, and other exclusive stories on my patreon.

https://www.patreon.com/glaazius

 

Thx for reading. Please let me hear your thoughts!