- Text Size +

Rose:
I just want to grab and crush them to tiny metal bits, but.. no, where would be the pleasure in that. Maybe there would be a little bit, but: no! Let's try something else first... I take a deep breath, then make sure I haven't breathed in anybody or.. just a precaution. Anyway, then I extra carefully grab the drowning guy between my thumb and forefinger, then raise him towards the boat - except if I drop him, it'll be some ten foot fall, more probably.. onto a steel deck. And time is ticking. I think of somewhere I could drop him on.. somewhere soft and bouncy, where a fall wouldn't hurt...

"Okay guys, I know it's weird, but you gotta trust me on this one, okay? I screwed up picking you up, but let's save this guy, okay? Somebody will have to climb onto my fingernail and resuscitate him, okay? Wave if you volunteer.. and don't worry, I won't.. just please let's help him!" - finally I can see somebody waving on the boat I'm holding - "Good. Now let's just do this.. and don't worry, I'll be careful!"

I hope they'll still trust me after what I do next: I drop the drowning guy on top of my tongue - then lower my fingernail next to the boat I'm holding, upside down of course. They're hesitating - of course - but I quietly clear my throat.. it seems to do the trick as two sailors jump onto the underside of my fingernail. I can just barely feel them touching the sensitive skin under the nail and I raise them carefully.. into my mouth. I can't really feel anything, but.. no, actually I do - tiny steps on my tongue, they're doing.. something. I can't tell, but.. all I can do is hope for the best. And breathe through my nose.. very slowly and carefully.

Mike:
The helicopter's blades spin faster and faster until the craft slowly rises off the ground and above the nearby buildings. Almost instantly I'm I can see your towering naked body looming in the distance, although I can't quite make out what you're doing. My heart flutters within my chest and I can feel the separation anxiety fading away as the knot in my stomach that I didn't even know was there begins to loosen.

"Come on! Can't this thing go any faster!?" I shout towards the pilot while suppressing the urge to hang out the side door just to be closer to you Stockholm's syndrome acting out again...

[Pilot] "Settle down sir and stay in your seat! It should only take a few minutes provided we don't run into any turbulence!"

I muttered a few choice words under my breath and sunk back into my chair, already feeling my member starting to recharge as we got closer and closer.As the helicopter started to pass over the opening in the river, I noticed something strange about the way you were acting. Your mouth looked to be open and your finger was placed in front of it, I instantly assumed the worst. "Oh no...no no no no...she's going to eat them...Pilot! You've got to go faster!"

[Pilot] "What did I say? We're going I'm going as fast as I'm authorized in this airspace!"

I mumbled a few more words that were inaudible thanks to the hum of the engine and sounds of the spinning blades before I remembered the phone in my pocket. "Oh please let this thing work..." I quickly pulled it out and began fumbling through the options until the phone connected itself as if by magic. Although probably because I was within range...

"Rose!? Rose...Stop! Don't eat him! Remember what I said earlier? He's a human being! Think about what you're doing!" I screamed into the microphone.

Rose:
I hear your voice and look around instinctively with my eyes - I take great care to keep my head still. I consciously understand that you must be in that bunker, but still... Then I see a helicopter approaching, could it be you? Tiny, black, insect-like.. well, except I know it won't bite or anything, so I'm not worried. And your voice.. eat them? What? Right.. I recall the first 'incident' with the sub and all.. I really got carried away with it. But now, actually.. you in the heli might be a good thing! Especially considering how I can't communicate with the people in my mouth. I sigh.. through my nose of course.

I'm pretty sure I can still feel the people on my tongue.. hard to way if they're all there, so I carefully remove my finger and check the nail.. it's empty good. So next, with my mouth still open.. I point towards the helicopter - then towards my mouth. I do it extra-carefully so I don't cause any hurricane strength winds and stuff. Now would be a bad time to have a gust of wind push somebody down my throat. Or send heli plummeting down to earth and crash.

Nothing happens, so I repeat the action a couple times...

Mike:
I struggled to understand your strange game of charades, originally thinking you were gesturing how happy you were to be eating people, almost like a kid playing with their food. "Yes yes I see that! Don't even think about it Rose!" I watched you roll your eyes in annoyance before repeating the gesture for a second and a third time before things finally clicked. "You want is to...but...gahh fine!"

- I tap the pilot on the shoulder: "Pilot!...She wants us to land on her tongue!"

[Pilot] "She what! Are you fucking crazy kid sir? There's no way I'm getting anywhere near her. What's to stop her from coming after us next!?"

[Me] "She won't I promise! Not as long as I'm there."

[Pilot] "But she ate you!"

[Me] "I know but she was just playing around. She wouldn't really do it if she thought I'd die...at least I hope not!"

The pilot hovered in place roughly a quarter mile from where your were sitting, floating in front of your broad face like a gnat waiting to be swatted.

Radio crackles and Sanchez's recognizable voice can be heard.
[SANCHEZ] "Do it Beckham...she just wants to help."

[Me] "Sanchez? How to you know that? What's going on?"

[Pilot Beckham] "Are you sure about that sir? Cause it looks like she's inviting us to dinner?"

[Sanchez] "Just do it son that's an order...Mr. Dunn there's not much time to explain and I'm not one hundred perfect clear on the details but we've heard that they're trying to save someone....Miss Rose..." -pauses- "she's...just trying to help..."

[Me] "You heard him Beckham..."

[Beckham]. "Ahhh...I shoulda gone to art school...fine!"

He pressed forward on the cyclic stick and brought the heli closer.

Rose:
The wait was getting so frustrating that I wanted to just reach out and grab the chopper - but I knew that I did enough of 'grabbing' for now, so I just waited. When I see it finally moving slowly forwards I roll my eyes.. yeah, finally! Like.. if I'm trying to save the guy, then why would I ever want to destroy the helicopter that it was supposed to pick them up.. oh whatever. I hold my hand signaling them to stop and take a deep breath and only then signal the heli to move in. I'm taking great care to breathe out only when they actually land inside. And it was a pretty long wait.. that helicopter is sure taking it's time.. or maybe I'm just so big that... Oh well, sometimes size can lead to frustrations.

Mike:
Thankfully you were taking great care to control your breathing, since at this distance it would have been like trying to fly through a hurricane. Beckham wiped a bead of sweat from his brow as he started to descend towards the spongy pink landing pad riddled with small mounds... Tastebuds!.

The skids touched down on the alien landscape near where the sailors were gathered. "Okay Rose, we're here. Just hold tight." I spoke into the phone before sliding the side door open and hopping out, letting my feet sink into the soft damp ground. It was a strange feeling being back here without the submersible, I felt...naked and exposed...and it was somehow thrilling.

"See if you can find your phone without moving too much. It'll let you see what were dealing with." I added while wading my way through small puddles of saliva towards the gathering of people.

[Sailor1] "Who the hell are you?"

[Me] "Don't worry about it, I'm here to help. What's the situation?"

[Sailor2] "It's McCoy he...he fell overboard when she picked us up and...and...it all happened so fast..."

[Sailor1] "Lord knows how he survived the fall, thank God he was wearing a life jacket...McCoy never really was a good swimmer..."

[Me] "Relax, I can get you out of here. Is he breathing at least?"

[Sailor2] "Aye but his breaths are shallow. He's probably got fluid in his lungs."

[Sanchez] chimes in over the radio: "Load him up into the helicopter so we can evac him."

[Me] Looks at the unconscious man, he's pale and looks sickly but still alive if only just barely. "Right, load him into that helicopter and tell the pilot to take him to a hospital. I'm staying here..."

[Sailor1] "Are you crazy kid? You can't stay here, she'll swallow you without even knowing it!"

[Me] "I'll be fine, she won't eat me...again, besides she's...kinda...like my girlfriend."

Sailor 1 and 2 both look at each other in shock before looking back towards me.

[Sailor1] "You're fucking nuts kid...but it's funeral. Come on Jones...help me carry him..."

[Jones (Sailor2)] "Right...good luck, you're gonna need it."

The two sailors lift the unconscious McCoy up and carry him over to the chopper where Beckham gives me a salute through the window before taking off.

Rose:
I heard most of the conversation, but it was so annoying that for the most part I just kept rolling my eyes.. except of course you couldn't see it - maybe it was for the best, oh well. Now I take another breath when I hear the heli is about to leave - and signal them to move out. By just wiggling my fingers a bit carefully, no hurricane winds whatsoever! Of course I also heard that you wanted to stay in my mouth and.. well, that was pretty brave of you. But I kept my mouth open for a while, there's plenty of saliva in it and.. I don't want to swallow you with it. Plus you'd need some scuba gear to.. nahh. So I put a finger into my mouth carefully - I can't feel you on my mouth, but.. I assume you'll guide me where to place it...

When you climb onto my nail, I remove it carefully then make sure you're safe on it.. and finally swallow all the saliva. It felt like a visit to the dentist - complete with some weird machines doing strange things in there and.. well, I guess this was actually a bit different. And I would've probably enjoyed it if it wasn't for: "Shoot, I hope they're able to save that guy, I mean... Right, I'm still holding.. um, Mike: can you see if that ship is still in one piece? I should probably lower it back down into the ocean or... Yeah, just make sure it's fine and everything."

With that I lower the finger with you just next to the boat in my other hand and realize: strange how they couldn't just call me to warn me or something. Or even.. well I guess soldier-guy did try to warn me not to pick the ship, except.. funny how he just went silent afterwards... And it would've been so much easier for him to coordinate the rescue than me waving around and pointing at stuff.

Either way, I look down at the boat between my fingers: "Let me know whether it's safe to.." - I chuckle - "..launch it? So to speak.. I mean, like my fingers are a dry dock or.. um, no, sorry.. that's a terrible pun." - I finally also notice the other two ships are no longer trying to run away from me, apparently. I actually almost forgot about them.. good thing I didn't move or.. oh well. It's still a nice gesture from them, they must've noticed I was trying to help.. except to solve a problem that I myself have caused.

Mike:
"A little to the left...no my left...little more...too far...keep going...keep going..Stop! Okay now slowly lower it down." I instructed you like a crane operator would guiding your massive finger to a space far enough away to avoid being added to the collateral damage tally. It was a short walk away, made tougher by the growing puddles of saliva which increased significantly like the rising tide, but eventually I hopped up onto the semi transparent platform before giving you the go ahead to carry me away.

"I'm sure they'll be fine, they managed to resuscitate him and he's on his way to a hospital in case you didn't hear. He's probably just in shock...at least I hope so."
I reassured you before turning my attention towards the large vessel. Its sides were dented slightly and it's engine was smoking, but otherwise it still looked seaworthy.

I brace myself for being lowered back towards the water: "It looks alright little dinged up but I'll take a look. Seems like they weren't able to finish their delivery as promised. Maybe you should leave them a bad review." I say jokingly as I stand near the hull and make sure there aren't any holes that I hadn't noticed before.

"You good to put it back where it belongs. If it sinks then you can always just lift it up again." I move around the side and climb up the handy rope ladder until I can step over the rail and onto the main deck. Four of the nine containers were opened and practically empty, save for a few remaining boxes of unknown contents.

A sudden whimpering noise catches my attention: "Hang on Rose...I think there's somebody else here..." I start to follow the source of the noise until I find the captain sniveling in the fetal position and looking like he had just seen a ghost.

"Oh...hey there. Are you okay? Anything injured?"

The captain doesn't respond or even seem aware of my presence. He must be traumatized, the leviathan is supposed to be an old sailors myth after all.

[Captain] Muttering incoherently: "She's a monster...too big...gonna die...must go down with his ship....hard to port..." Poor guy has clearly lost his mind!