- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

It's been a while. Nice to be back, I don't think I'll en updating as often as I did near the start of the story but I'll be focusing on bettering the quality of my writing and the story. Speaking of which I went back and made some edits to the previous chapters to help fix them up just a bit. 

 

Artemis was skipping rocks in the river to get her mind off the memories, one rock at a time sent bouncing across the strip of running water. The sun shined between the trees and casted rays onto the blue water, the beautiful spot was a stark contrast to her headspace. She doesn’t remember what she was doing that day or why, just that she left the Stillwood for a good while. 

 

She heard the screams before she saw the mysterious giantess pacing around her hometown bathed in the light of the gloomy horizon. Ever since she saw her she always knew something was different about that giantess, she was dressed elegantly, a short black dress, a necklace and well kempt hair. She destroyed and slaughtered with a grace that made Artemis’s blood boil just remembering it.

 

The giantess turned to the stunned teen and spoke. Artemis could never forget a single word she said, it was burned into her mind as though she heard it a thousand times. “Little one. Are you lost?” Artemis rushed at the woman but couldn’t move beyond a certain point, it was like a strong wind was pushing her away to the point she couldn’t move. The other giantess looked at her curiously as she held someone in her hand. Hanna, Artemis’s mother. Her heart sank and she fought as hard as she could against the invisible force. 

 

“You care for humans? How peculiar...” Artemis was held in place by the strong magic and the stranger stepped closer to her. “Have you never been taught anything about humans by your parents? They are not worth saving...” The stranger stated. “No stop! Don’t you hurt her!” Artemis screamed. Hanna sobbed as she felt the giantess bring her closer to her lips, she looked into Artemis’s eyes. “I love you, so much Si-“ she was sucked into the strangers mouth and her muffled screams faded as the giantesses throat bulged. “They are not worth anything at all.” She said to the teen who only stared, she was in shock, for a few moments before she let her head down and began to sob.

 

The giantess kneeled down to Artemis and placed a hand on her shoulder. “I know you feel for these creatures. But they are not worth feeling for. Come with me child, let me show you what you are. You have a chance to be a true giantess, to learn our culture.” Artemis could only stare with hatred through teary eyes. The giantess just stared back with sympathy “My name is Azura, Azura Grimm. What is your name little one?” Artemis said nothing and Azura only frowned. “Where are your parents?” No reply. Azura sighed defeated and stood up. 

 

“If you want to side with the vermin then so be it” She said now with a hint of venom in her tone. “It doesn’t matter how hard you try. How much you pretend, you can’t run from who you are. You belong with your people. These humans? They are not your friend. I am.” She said as she walked away. “My offer is always open.” She says before she disappears into the night. Artemis is left sitting in the rubble of what was once her home, her childhood, her friends, her family, her once amazing life was ground into nothing. The splash of a fish breaking the waters surface brought her back to awareness. She held a crushed rock in her hands and dropped the dust into the river and wiped away her tears as she dipped her feet in the water. 

 

“Y-you’re a...” a frightened quivering voice spoke from behind her. The man from the bar stood there, she had forgotten about why she was here and was still in her giant form. She simply sighed. “Yes...Yes I am a giant. Just relax. Take a deep breath. All I want to know is where Azura is.” He backed away slowly ready to run. “She’s umm...she’s hiding out in the mountains between Darrow peak.” He stammered. Artemis grabbed the man and lifted him up who started panicking. “Woah! Don’t eat me! Please do-“ 

 

“I’m not going to eat you, just calm down. I know where you’re talking about, the walk should take a while, get comfortable.” She placed him in a pocket on her belt. “You can call me Artemis, it’s not my real name but I need to keep a low profile among my kind.” She told him, trying to ease his nerves.

 

 “My name is Steven. Wait, walk where? I thought you were going to train me?” He held on to her fingers and felt dazed looking at the ground below, even though all things considered it wasn’t that far. “No. There’s no amount of training I can do in a day that would make you even come close to being able to protect yourself let alone fight her. I have to do this.” She told him as she stood up to her full height and held him firmly. 

 

“But I don’t have that kind of money! And paying a giant to slay another giant? You must cost a fortune!” He cautiously asserted, as with most people he’d never been able to interact with a giant this much without imminent danger. He didn’t know how her temperament might be, or how far her benevolence can go before she snaps. 

 

“You won’t have to, I do this for free.” She spoke with resolve and walked heavily towards her destination. He didn’t know why she still had him with her. But he was able to tell that she wasn’t going the right way. “Artemis…? My village is that way.” He said pointing another direction. “I need to go home first. I left my armor there.” Replied. He simply nodded. “So I thought giants couldn’t use magic? How did you shrink back at the tavern?” 

 

“You really like talking don’t you?” She smirked slightly, the first time he had seen her smile in any way. “…sorry.” He trailed off. “No it’s understandable. Giants can’t use magic because they never learned and frankly they don’t need to, they’re strong enough on their own humans rarely stand a chance. I was raised by humans. I was taught by a local coven of sorcerers to shrink down so I can interact with my friends and family eye to eye.”

 

“Friends and family? Why aren’t you there protecting them? Surely they need your protection right?” He asked. She scowled and continued forward “Azura got to them first.” He held his head down in respect. “I’m sorry.” Was all he could say and stayed silent for a few minutes. “You’re not killing Azura just to save my village are you? You’re out for blood.” 

 

Her eyes were glossy, welled up with unshed tears, her scowl didn’t let them fall. She felt herself so close to her mission, it was like she could already feel her hands around Azura’s neck. “I’m going to kill her, for your village Steven….

 

…and for my own.” 

 

Chapter End Notes:

And finally we meet our antagonist. Azura is a character I can't wait to dive into, but for now, the true plot is finally unfolding.