- Text Size +

“What the hell am I thinking? Am I really going to go through with this?” Sarah asked herself. Her face was red as a beet, flush with embarrassment over what she was about to do. Still, she knew she'd go through with it. She needed to know how it felt.

She sat at her desk, wearing a yellow blouse and a pair of short shorts, her bare feet planted firmly on the floor. Between them was a metal spoon, holding what looked like just a bit of dirt. Only by close inspection would one see that the spoon actually held a little town, populated with thousands of microscopic people; the very same people Sarah and her mother had gathered from the cities that had appeared on their kitchen floor not one month ago.

For days after being introduced to her terrarium, there had been no signs that the micro people had survived. Then, on the second week, Sarah began to notice tiny towns pop up all over the terrarium. Over the following weeks, these towns expanded in size and new ones appeared, so that now there was scarcely a square inch of dirt that didn't have a micro city on it. Watching them udner a microscope, she had learned that the micro people had established a form of agriculture based on the exploitation of the various species of microscopic flora and fauna around them, farming microalgae and raising bacteria in little herds.

It was a very good sign for the long-term survival of these little people. Sarah grew so confident in their ability to survive that she consented to taking a few of these little towns and using them to “seed” a new terrarium, one to be taken care of by her mother Barbara, who had been pestering her from day one to lend her a few tiny people of her own.

The micro people greatly aroused Sarah's curiosity—not only intellectually, but also in another sense. Knowing that she was responsible for all these people—very likely millions of them—made her feel... strange. She often caught herself thinking about various things she could do to them; eating them for instance. She would never do something like that, but knowing that she could sent shivers up her spine.

Ever since that first day when she and Barbara had found the little cities, she had been greatly affected by her mother casually snuffing out an entire city with just her big toe. She had often thought back to that moment, replaying it over and over again in her head, and even imagining it from the perspective of the tiny people who must still have been down in the city. What would it feel like to have so many lives under one's feet? The question had been gnawing at her for weeks and now she was about to get her answer, courtesy of the town in the spoon.

Her heart pounding, she raised a foot over the city and let it hang there, its shadow shrouding the people in darkness. She felt... “aroused” wasn't quite the right word for it, though it came close. Something about having them all under her feet just felt right. Not crushing them, of course, but simply having them beneath her, knowing and letting them know that she could crush them all in an instant, but also that she never would.

She giggled, playfully scrunching her foot over the city. “You guys like the view down there?” She asked. She had never cared much to show off her feet, but she knew some people were into that sort of thing. How might such people react, seeing feet the size of a county hanging over them?

Growing more comfortable with her little display, Sarah began playing with the little city, poking the spoon with her toes, loving the fact that she was so big compered to these people that she could literally rock their world. “Don't worry, I won't hurt you,” she whispered to them, cupping her feet protectively over the city. “You're all safe under my toes. Are you scared? I suppose you must be. It'll be over soon, though, so just relax,” she said soothingly.

“You should know I'll be doing this very often from now on, so it's best you get used to it quickly. Same time tomorrow sound good to you?”