Rulership by Inwiththebooks
Summary:

Following the conquest of Albar, the Elsiran Empress dispatches Prince Virion to oversee governorship of the newly conquered province at the behest of ill meaning politcians. Surrounded by enemies from without and within, the Prince finds strength in the most surprising of sources.


Categories: Entrapment, Feet, Giant, New World Order, Slave Characters: None
Growth: None
Shrink: Micro (1 in. to 1/2 in.)
Size Roles: FM/f, FM/m, M/f, M/m
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Humanity's Downfall
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 25657 Read: 32030 Published: November 14 2020 Updated: December 07 2020
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Arrival by Inwiththebooks

2. Reduction by Inwiththebooks

3. Trapped by Inwiththebooks

4. Caged by Inwiththebooks

5. Steamy by Inwiththebooks

6. Mercenary by Inwiththebooks

7. Pleasure by Inwiththebooks

8. Exploration by Inwiththebooks

9. Way Out by Inwiththebooks

10. History by Inwiththebooks

11. Strategy by Inwiththebooks

Arrival by Inwiththebooks
Author's Notes:

Right so this is the sequel to 'Subjugation' and takes place a month or two after the events of that story. The tags and summary probably clued you in but the main pairing of this story is M/f. There will me some large lady elf bits here or there but about... 90% of stuff is pretty much M/f. So that there is your warning. With that said, hope you enjoy!

It was all gone just as the stories had said. Completely wiped from the face of the world. A pair of golden eyes took in the barren earth where once had been the capital of Albar. Supposedly the city had been an impressive thing, a fortress city that had existed for centuries and weathered wars against the nations around it. It had never fallen to a siege. In a way, he supposed it wasn’t a siege that had taken it. 

 

Third Prince Virion Elsira had wished to see the site with his own eyes. It had been one of his first requests upon entering the conquered nation of Albar, now rendered the province of Lyssia. His province. Virion drank in the scar upon the world, the place Grand General Nalista had wiped away one of the symbols of human opposition in the world. Where their magic had put fear into the hearts of the surrounding nations. By order of his mother they had been crushed out of existence. 

 

“What a waste.” He finally spoke aloud. 

 

The eyes of his retainers turned upon him as he spoke, looking over the elven outpost being built nearby the patch that once held a city upon it. The Prince was a radiant example of the elven race. Calling him beautiful was almost an insult, the third prince of the Elsiran Empire was perfectly sculpted. His dark brown skin was flawless, supple and smooth to the touch. His lithe and feminine form stood at well over seven feet tall, not the tallest by any stretch but enough to cut an image. Long dark hair was pulled into a ponytail that was bound by a golden hair piece bearing an eagle wing design that was favored by Elsiran Royalty. A lovely cream toga was wrapped over a flawless gold and white tunic, golden sandals adorned with sapphires atop the toe straps upon his slender feet. 

 

He stepped down from the carriage that had brought him here, his retainers sputtering as he actually deigned to set foot upon ground without the finest carpets and roses to line his path. His personal guards fell in step around him, their armor bearing the proud eagle symbol of Elsira’s Royal Guards. He walked toward the outpost as one of his advisors hurried up behind him. 

 

“Y-your grace, please, you should allow us to announce your arrival to the soldiers here! This place is unfit for your radiance to shine upon it.” The woman stuttered out. 

 

“Her Grace, my most wise Mother, the Empress saw fit to appoint me Governor of Lyssia. I do not believe a Governor requires notice when visiting their holdings.” The prince remarked. 

 

His tone was perhaps a bit too sharp, his annoyance over the truth of the rumors bubbling to the surface for a moment. He did not blame the Grand General particularly. This had been by decree of the Empress. His annoyance was over the sheer waste of a whole city to make an unnecessary point. He had no doubt there were a few particular snakes on the Council that had been whispering in his Mother’s ear for that. It simply made his task more difficult, which he suspected was absolutely the point. 

 

He was seen before arriving at the outpost of course, it was hard to miss the twenty armed royal soldiers and his appearance after all. The guards at the front gate saluted with their swords, their arms quite stiff. He passed without comment and swept into the outpost. It had been set up to essentially maintain some military presence with the lack of a city, as well as to capture any of the humans that had fled the destruction of the city. 

 

The captain of the outpost, a rather tall brunette, rushed out from her command tent and fell to his feet on her knees. “Your grace! Please, forgive the state of things! If we had known you were coming we would have better cleaned up for your arrival.”

 

Virion drank in the inside of the outpost. There were barracks and tents sent up all around the place, very much a military style encampment. Some civilian presence was notable, mostly some merchants and slavers. His eyes lingered over one particular feature. A pen. It was a rather ramshackle affair and inside of it were dozens of rather dirty and ill fed humans. They were no doubt waiting for their ultimate fate. The fate of all humans under Elsira. Explained the slavers hanging around. 

 

“Consider this a surprise inspection. I’m touring Lyssia. Thus far it appears Nalista has done well in suppressing the Albar army and in placing the nation under the heel of the Empire.” He answered as he turned his attention to the captain at his feet. He gestured with dainty fingers impatiently for her to rise. 

 

The captain stood up and saluted. “Of course, your grace, the Grand General’s victory was absolute before she departed.” Her eyes trailed to the humans in the pen and she coughed. “Lieutenant, get those eyesores somewhere else where his grace isn’t offended by their presence.” She ordered one of her juniors. 

 

There were some panicked squawking from the humans as they were being harshly yelled at and herded out of the pen. “Move you worthless animals, someone go get one of the mages so we can get rid of this batch.” The Lieutenant started to bark. 

 

“Wait, stop! Please, by the gods, haven’t you monsters taken enough from us!?” 

 

The voice drew the golden eyes of the prince to its owner. The words had been spoken in elven. A dark haired young woman was standing in front of her fellows and holding her hands out to vainly protect them. She was very likely fresh into her adulthood. He forgot what age that was for humans, eighteen perhaps? Her clothes were matted and torn and dirty but once might have been quite fine. Her reward for her heroism of course was being put into the dirt with a backhand from the Lieutenant, his lips curling in a sneer. 

 

“Just for that outburst you get to go first.” He reached down and grabbed her by the wrist. 

 

“Hold a moment.” Virion said. 

 

His voice was level and calm, but it bore the royal edge of command he had been learning since the day he could walk and talk. Everyone froze in place. The prince walked toward the pen, ignoring the sputtering of disbelief from his advisors behind him. He gestured for the Lieutenant to step aside and instead looked levelly at the woman as she rubbed her hand over her now bruised jaw. 

 

“You speak elven well for a human.” He remarked. 

 

The woman turned a careful wary eye upon him, probably still dazed from the backhand. “My brother taught me when we were growing up.” 

 

His elegant dark brow lifted. “Oh? And who was this brother of yours?” 

 

She seemed to think carefully over that question so he clarified. “Little point in keeping secrets you know. Especially in your current situation.” 

 

The young woman frowned before drawing herself up. “Prince Rickard Albar III. I am Princess Selena Albar, Second Princess of the Albar Empire.” She said, her words bearing a proud tone to them. 

 

The princess of the Albar Empire. Quite possibly one of the last royals of the whole nation. In a pen with a number of other humans. What a strange twist of fate. Perhaps his visit hadn’t been just to see a blasted gaping hole on the world after all. He crossed his arms, his golden bracelets gleaming as they caught the light.  What a fortunate find really to be down here in the muck. 

 

“Princess Selena Albar. Pleased to meet you. I am Prince Virion Elsira, Third Prince of the Elsiran Empire and new Governor of Lyssia. What you know as Albar. What a strange place for a royal meeting truly.” He said before turning his gaze over to the Captain. 

 

“When she is reduced she is to be given to me. If any of your soldiers raise a hand against her let it be known they will be touching royal property.” 

 

“A-At once your grace! And the others?” She stuttered. 

 

A useless question. “I’ve no need of them, do as you like.” 

 

“Wait!” 

 

The prince stopped in his tracks and arched a brow at the outburst from the princess. She was staring at him, dark eyes glaring up into his golden eyes. His narrowed his ever so, a look that usually had anyone cowering at potentially finding his displeasure. She didn’t back down to her credit. Brave or stupid or possibly both. 

 

“Take these others as well.” She demanded. 

 

“Ho-how dare you make demands of his grace, you worthless-” 

 

An upraised hand from him stalled the tirade on his behalf. He did so hate it when people spoke for him. It made his teeth ache. Instead he walked back over to the pen and looked over the rest of the gathered collection of humanity. Dirty, ragged, very much looked common and without much of a useful bone in their bodies. The Princess would be useful due to her knowledge of Albar and its regions as well as the surrounding territory. These ones… he scraped dirt from his sandals that looked better to be honest. 

 

“You aren’t exactly in a position to make demands of me you know.” He remarked. 

 

She crossed her arms and positioned herself in front of the gaggle of humans. The prince’s lips quirked ever so at the stupid defiance. A smirk. “I could just have them tie you up you know and drag you to be reduced. I don’t exactly require consent and it's not like you could resist.” 

 

“And risk hurting me? I think you’d rather keep me unspoiled and unharmed. Besides, if you do that you get my willing cooperation. I’m not asking you to set them free, Prince Virion. I’m asking you to- to take them into your service. I don’t care what that would be as, just so long as they aren’t given to be crushed out of hand.” She said. “It requires no cost to you and has me concede to whatever you might wish. A fair thing, a wise ruler would know it to be for the best.” 

 

There was a moment of silence as Virion took in the measure of this one. A brain in there as well it seemed. He chuckled moments later. “Very well. I suppose I could use some more household humans, the servants get tired after being on their feet all day. Didn’t bring many humans from home either.” He said as he looked at the Captain. “Make it so.” 

 

With that Virion walked from the pen and allowed the guards to lead the humans away for their fate. To be reduced away to a miniscule size like all humans were. For his part he took heart in such a lucky find. He had almost been baffled to hear that almost all of the Albar royal family had been killed. Prince Rickard was currently Nalista’s pet. It left him with precious little to work with here. A nation that was essentially in utter tatters and ruins from the war. Moreso than most lands they normally seized. 

 

That was the point of course. He was sent here not so much to prove himself after all. He was sent here to fail. To fail and burn out. Well. Virion had no intentions of failing here far on the fringes of the Empire. He would use whatever he had to, do whatever he had to do, in order to claw success and triumph from this ruin. Lyssia would be the envy of all of Elsira, no matter what it took.

Reduction by Inwiththebooks

She had watched her childhood home destroyed. It was a moment that would linger in her mind probably for the rest of her life. She had been taken out along an escape route before the destruction had begun. So she had managed to watch from a distance the power of the Elsiran Empire fall upon her people. She had gazed on helplessly as fire rained upon it. Watched as people fled from the city and scattered to the winds. Watched as Grand General Nalista held the city in the palm of her hand and crushed it in a fist. 

 

Things had rather become a blur for Selena. After she had escaped from the destruction of the capital they had fled into the countryside and managed to link with other survivors. At least until the elves found them. One moment she had been about to be dragged off to some horrible fate and the next she found herself speaking to an elf so beautiful he made her feel like she was basically a pig in a dress. It was almost as though he had stepped down from somewhere faraway where mortals weren’t allowed, a being beyond the reach of human and even elven hands. 

 

With a few words from him her fate had been changed, and indeed the fate of all those she had been desperately fighting to protect. She had half expected him to sneer and strike her to the ground as one of the soldiers had done. Instead he simply shrugged and made it so. She felt a wash of relief go through her at that. One that quickly evaporated as she realized he had saved her from being used as a common slave, but that didn’t save her from the fate of all humans under Elsira. 

 

Being reduced was unlike anything she had expected. A particularly bored looking elven woman had simply flicked her wrist and spoke a few words and just like that the world shifted around, changing and altering her perspective forever. She went from standing near the same height as these beings to being rendered a bug upon the ground compared to them. The floor had become a vast and unknowable plain. Those around her were dazed and confused. And then a very well dressed elven servant entered with a pair of boxes, one made of finely carved wood and the other of ivory. Her massive fingers came for Selena first and she found herself deposited in the box of ivory, landing upon the plush and supple inside of the box where she found herself alone. 

 

She had rather expected to immediately be removed and interrogated by the prince, but instead it seemed almost like hours passed. When light flooded her again it wasn’t the prince that towered on high, it was the elven servant woman. She reached in and gripped Selena gently but firmly. What she found waiting for her was a rather intense grooming session unlike anything she had experienced. 

 

She was bathed in a basin of rosewater and indeed she was expected to soak for at least half an hour in the warm water. Not something she was going to complain about as she vigorously scrubbed the dirt and grime from her form. She was given a meal, new clothes. Whatever she requested as well the giant servant elf woman above was quick to grant. Any comfort she might need was immediately availed to her. Part of Selena had to wonder, as she slipped into the lovely white dress, if this same servant wouldn’t be tormenting her if things had turned out differently. 

 

Whatever the case was eventually she found herself brought to a suite that looked vaguely familiar to her. She realized it was the suite she normally stayed in when visiting Castle Rheinweise. Only it had been changed and decorated to be suited to elven tastes it seemed. The finery bore many of the symbols of Elsira, their eagle being prominent among them. It was a complex feeling, to once have walked these halls at a different scale. Now she was sitting in the palm of an elven servant. 

 

Lounging in a rather plush chair and looking over a series of scrolls scattered on the table was the prince. Selena found herself almost having to remember to breathe as she gazed upon his flawless form towering in the distance. His soft beauty was almost magnified by the difference in scale. The dark brown skinned elf flicked his golden eyes upon her and the servant and gestured toward the table with his hand. The servant bowed her head and deposited Selena on the table and then took a spot at the side of the room. 

 

“The proper thing to do is to get to your hands and knees and bow when in the presence of royalty.” He remarked as she stood before him. 

 

There was a spark that rose up in her, her brow twitching at the easy manner the words escaped his lips. She bit back her fiery reply and instead swallowed her pride. She slid to the table on her knees in a whisper of fine fabric, placing her palms to the table and bowing her head to the towering form of the prince before her. It felt like surrendering in a way, however she was not oblivious that things could be vastly worse at the moment. 

 

“Your grace, thank you for your kind treatment thus far.” She managed to get out. 

 

“I wouldn’t call it kind. Practical perhaps. You are still a slave after all. Just a slave in my service.” He mused as he finally set aside the document he was looking at and regarded Selena fully, those irises of gold fully upon her. 

 

“Albar has been defeated in war. Its future is that of an Elsiran province. I am not blind like so many of my fellows in thinking we own the land yet however. The Albar Royal army is gone, however there are still pockets of resistance here or there from humans. The land itself is ravaged and much of what was useful has been rendered ruins and ashes. It will be an undertaking to bring Lyssia to be a decent province. To that end, you are my only piece of good news since arriving here.” He remarked. 

 

She paused as she drank all that in. “You want me to help you fully integrate Albar into Lyssia.” She stated rather than asked. 

 

“You catch on quickly. I see the clever trait carried over from your brother. Good. Yes, you promised your willing cooperation with my efforts. I have a rebellion to crush, infrastructure to build, and politics to navigate. No man rules alone unfortunately.” He said at length. 

 

There must have been a flash in her eyes as she opened her mouth because he cut her off. Not with words but with setting his foot on the edge of the table as he leaned back. The motion shook the table enough to interrupt the half inch tall woman. His dark bare foot pressed its sole into the edge of the table, five pristine and pedicured toes wiggling ever so before her. It was a sight that was enough to give her immediate pause, her eyes fixed upon the sight perhaps longer than was necessary. 

 

“I do hope you haven’t misunderstood our positions here, Princess Selena. You are my slave. Your life and future is in my hands. If I ordered it, you could well be licking the toes of the woman that brought you here today. You don’t have a choice in service to your betters, you simply have a choice who you will be servicing. Either me. Or…” His eyes turned to the servant that had brought Selena in. 

 

The smug way he phrased it made Selena want to punch him even if she knew he was right. Serving him meant she could perhaps at least affect meaningful change. Maybe. At the least better than being a servant’s plaything. So she bowed her head again. “I choose to serve you, your grace. I only hope you find my words of value.”

 

“Good. In that case we will get started immediately. I’ll start with asking for a list of your noble houses, the general power structure of your country, and how the surrounding countries viewed you.” He said. 

 

Just like that he was all business. Selena watched as he shifted back, his brown heel lifting up and setting upon the table as he crossed his legs at his ankles. She swallowed as the shadow of his feet towered close enough that he could have lowered a foot and pinned her under his sole. The prince made no such motion however, simply letting her stew in his shadow. An idle gesture for him, something vastly more to her. 

 

She cleared her throat and spoke up. “Well, most of the houses were destroyed during the war.” She started before he waved a hand. 

 

“Pretend they weren’t. Pretend I’m a foreign prince visiting your country when it was at its height and we are enjoying tea. Actually, a good idea.” He flicked his wrist and the servant in the room went off to prepare a pot of tea. 

 

She frowned but nodded. “As you wish, your grace. Our major houses were House Mittar, House Viskar, House Liserat, and House Wiess. House Mittar controlled much of the border towns. House Viskar controlled much of the north. My house, House Albar, controlled the heartlands. The south was split between House Liserat and House Wiess. Of all of them, I believe only House Wiess didn’t commit many forces to the war.” 

 

“Why was that?” He asked curiously. 

 

“Well, Duchess Lorena Wiess has always been rather frigid toward the royal family ever since she was overlooked on being granted territory in our last war with the Grand Duchy. It was granted to House Liserat instead. Far as I know she kept to herself during the war.” She said. 

 

The prince drummed his fingers along his chin as he digested that information. Selena honestly had no idea what the woman had been thinking. It wasn’t as though the elves cared for the politics of humans. They would enslave all of them if they could. She had no idea what had become of the woman or her house, she had assumed it had been destroyed like everyone else by this point but she had no way to know. Now that it had come up she supposed she did wonder. 

 

He nodded. “Interesting. I’ll have to follow up on that one. Continue.” He bid as the servant returned. 

 

She bore a tray and set it down on the table. She poured out a hot and steaming cup for the prince, offering it to him before glancing at Selena and then the large normal sized cup on the tray. She seemed to think for a tick before pouring out that cup and then flicking her fingers. A spark of magic saw the cup and its contents reduce in size. Enough for Selena to pick it up. It was still more a bowl of tea rather than a cup compared to her but, well, beggars couldn’t be choosers she supposed. 

 

She took a sip of her tea before continuing. It was extraordinarily strange, almost citrusy. Most teas of Albar were rather bitter and bracing. This one was bursting with a flavor she was not used to. It was pleasant however, welcoming and soothing at the first sip and only maintaining that same pleasant taste through the experience. The prince himself looked quite serene as he drank, curling his toes above her ever so. It was still surreal looking up at anyone like this. Part of her still believed she was dreaming. 

 

“In any event. Our power structure is not too strange. At the head is the royal family, the House of Albar. Beneath the royal family you have the four great houses of the Dukes. Beneath the Dukes there are a series of Counts that control counties. Beneath the Counts are lastly Barons that control towns, cities, local centers of power essentially. There is overlap of course here or there but those are the major systems.” She finally spoke. 

 

“Interesting. I note the country below your own is known as the Grand Duchy. Any reason you share similar systems? Or is that simply common on this continent?” He asked. 

 

“Ah. The Grand Duchy was once part of the Empire some two hundred years ago. It split off under the Vilheim House, currently ruled by Grand Duke Herod Vilheim.” She clarified. 

 

“I suppose that answers my question about one of your neighbor relations. What of the other two countries closest to Albar?” He asked. 

 

“I’m not the most schooled in the politics of either one, so you will have to forgive me, your grace. Thuan is a Free City, essentially a rather powerful and wealthy city state that boasts the strongest trading fleet this side of the world. A very fiercely independent entity. The Republic of Nura meanwhile is rather isolationist. I would describe their relations with us as icy at best. They are noted for loaning out mercenaries that use strange magic.” Selena said. 

 

“I suppose that's about all I can hope for there. Honestly a lot more than I was expecting.” He mused as he sipped at his tea. 

 

His approval had her release a sigh of relief. He flicked his fingers against the rim of his cup as his eyes appeared to once more be distant in thought. That look on his face reminded Selena of someone. Her brother Rickard would get the same pondering expression when his mind was far afield. It made her rather nostalgic and also brought a feeling of loss to her heart. She managed to hold back those waves of sorrow. 

 

“You’ll be pleased to know your fellows are alive and well. The servants have appreciated the attention. Good slaves, rather motivated. Seem to think I’m the most merciful of beings around.” That drew a snort from him as though the idea amused him. 

 

Selena found herself smiling despite the situation. So they were all alive then. Slaves, sure, but alive and hopefully they would stay that way. She shuffled forward upon the table, her dress shifting around her as she approached one of his towering feet and leaned in. She placed a kiss along the massive heel before her, the soft skin inhuman really. Softer than anything that Selena had ever felt. There was humiliation at the gesture but she pushed it down. 

 

“Thank you, so much your grace. Your mercy is the reason they are alive. You didn’t have to do it but you did and for that you will always have my thanks.” She said. 

 

Prince Virion blinked from the gesture, not expecting it clearly but not uncomfortable with it. Obviously he wouldn’t be, he probably had dozens of tiny slaves that tended to him without even needing to ask. His lips tugged upward after a few moments and he let out a chuckle for some reason, finishing off his tea and setting it down next to him. 

 

“It was practical and as you said, the benefits outweighed the inconvenience.” He remarked blandly. “More to the point I lack the glee of many of my siblings in crushing and devouring humans. If something is potentially useful, make use of it. Casting it aside out of hand is a waste.” He shrugged as he shifted his foot back and stood up, his form towering far far above Selena. 

 

“In any event I have some other matters to attend to. If you need anything the servant attending you knows to handle it.” He said. 

 

With that he swept out of the room. Selena stared after him and found herself rather wondering why he cared about any of the things he asked her. It was a contradiction for an elf to really bother with the affairs of humans after all. All she had were her thoughts and theories for the moment.

Trapped by Inwiththebooks

It turned out they had not taken all of Albar after all. Not technically in any event. On a hunch Prince Virion had sent agents out to poke around the lands of the Duchess Lorena Wiess and sure enough they were flying the banners of the Grand Duchy. As well as had a number of troops placed along the border of Lyssia. It took a bit of digging and getting testimonials from humans that had been captured near that region, evidently the change had happened just before the war. Rather under the radar as well. 

 

This told the prince several things. One, the Grand Duchy were rather savvy about claiming opportunity. Secondly, they had known the invasion was coming prior to this land grab. He considered the map of the south of Albar. Essentially that robbed Elsira of a large chunk of their conquest. More than that it added more forces to the Grand Duchy. On the surface it could well seem like a coincidence. The prince knew well there was no such thing as coincidence, only the appearance of it. Knowing that kept one alive in the Elsiran court. 

 

The Grand General had been given a leave of absence of a year almost immediately upon her requesting it. Which meant the forces deployed in Albar were currently simply an occupation force, not the bulk of the Elsiran army. This was standard really, nothing too out of the ordinary there. When put together however the trap emerged. He had been given a province with a portion of its land in fact having been lost before the war ever started, with an occupation force smaller than most, and an enemy to the south that was now very aware of the threat to the north due to that little example that was made of Albar. 

 

It was a very dangerous situation. In fact one might say potentially lethal. And he also had no idea who specifically was orchestrating the whole thing. He had known he was being put far out of the way and set up, but it was only now dawning on him just how elaborate the trap was. He had a couple of guesses but being far from the capital made figuring that out rather difficult. Which meant he would have to figure it out. 

 

The man removed his hair piece from his head and leaned back in his chair. He rubbed the heels of his hands into his eyes as his long dark hair spilled back. It was a mind numbing situation. Handed to him like this it would take a heroic effort to get things moving on a track that didn’t end with him dead at the end of a human’s blade. Very unfortunate. Still, he had a few tools at his disposal now. 

 

“Fetch Selena for me, I need some entertainment I think.” He ordered with a sigh. 

 

The nearest servant bowed and hurried off to carry out his bidding. The Albar princess had proven quite useful in the weeks since she had entered his service. Her knowledge of the country had helped him to figure out how to handle its annexation. As well as what places would need more occupation forces to ensure the rebellious pockets were squashed. A bit too headstrong for a human, but that in itself was entertaining. Usually the humans he dealt with were all absolutely the most broken in and well trained of creatures, anything less would be unworthy of the royal family. So in a way it was interesting to see a free human. Well, formerly. Free minded perhaps. 

 

The door opened again and in walked the servant and seated upon her palm was Selena. He held out his hand and the dark haired woman made the crossover between the two. She was quite fetching for a human he had to admit. The young prince leaned back in his chair and let out a long sigh. “Your country is quite a vexing thing to rule, princess.” 

 

She set her hand on her hip. “Apologies for not just presenting our necks for you to step on, your grace.” She said, her tongue rather sharp there. 

 

“Yes it would be a lot easier if you did. My own step is a much lighter thing than most I’m sure you’ll agree.” He remarked. 

 

The woman had a funny look on her face, like she could tell he was mocking her but also realized she had spoken without thinking. She tended to let that slip quite a bit. “I’m surprised it is to be honest. I would have expected a prince of the Empire to be quite fond of crushing humans.” She mused. 

 

“I could crush some for you if you want.” He mused with a little smirk. At her shudder he continued. “I don’t divorce myself from such things. I’ve crushed a few humans in my day, eaten some human dishes. Personally speaking I find a softer touch is to my liking however.” He said. An old answer and an old excuse. 

 

She looked up at him, searching with those dark eyes. He wasn’t sure why but when she gave him looks like that it felt like she was seeing other meanings behind his words. He shifted a bit, hiding his discomfort at the princess’s gaze. “In any event.” He said as he moved his hand over the map table and let her get off. 

 

The next moment later a pair of brown heels slammed into the table, shaking it for the half inch tall woman. He set his hands behind his head and shifted a foot to the side, lifting a brow as she looked at him looking up in confusion. “You’ve the honor of attending a prince of Elsira, princess. Really it's not something anyone would allow an untrained human to do.” He boomed down to her. 

 

“I-I wait, how am I supposed to- what am I supposed to…” She looked quite flustered. 

 

“Remember what you did when you thanked me for saving the lives of your fellows? A little like that. Maybe a little more tongue and groveling.” He remarked absently. 

 

She was funny sometimes, she had already debased herself like that once but now that he was specifically ordering it he could see the flicker of defiance in her eyes. It was curious to him how she could get like that. It was some kind of mental disconnect perhaps, where they would give it willingly but being ordered to do something like that generated a resistance. Humans were a strange species really. 

 

Eventually he could see her visibly swallow her pride and bowed her head. “Of course, your grace, I am your slave after all.” She managed to get out as she made her way forward. 

 

It was a pretty unfair thing to ask of just one person. Especially when she was only half an inch tall. One foot alone was vastly larger than she was, let alone the pair that were before her. His ears twitched ever so as he picked up a sigh from her. “This is degrading.” She groused. 

 

He shrugged. “All depends on how you see it. If it makes you feel any better any elf around would do the same thing in a heartbeat.” Virion noted. 

 

“Anyone tell you that you’re full of yourself, your grace?” She remarked. 

 

“I like to think I’ve a realistic assessment of myself, princess. Not feeling enough tongue by the way.” He said. 

 

Despite her sigh she went to work for all she was worth, which scale wise wasn’t much. He meanwhile relaxed and closed his eyes, dismissing the current state of affairs from his mind for the moment. For a moment he imagined he was back home, lounging in the finest furniture, rivers of wine available whenever he desired, every possible pleasure or need he had met at a moment’s notice. Out here there were less of such things, they tried but it was no match for the capital. Truly he’d been spoiled all his life. 

 

Eventually she had managed to climb up between his big and second toes of the right foot, the dark haired princess breathing rather heavily from her exertion. Very likely never been forced to do any kind of labor in her life. Much like him really, though the marked difference between the conquered and the conqueror was blatant to see. One of his eyes opened and he watched her plant kisses along the side of the toes, her tongue peeking out from behind her lips to lick. Her face was flushed with just utter humiliation. 

 

The prince idly curled his toes around her, drawing a gasp as the soft brown skin embraced her on all sides. She was pinned and squirming between his toes, Virion careful not to apply too much pressure. He held her like that for a moment until he felt her relax, a sign she recognized she couldn’t escape even if she tried. It was an implicit recognition of the difference between them as human and elf and so he splayed his toes again. She took a moment to catch her breath before wordlessly resuming her work.

 

“I’m curious. You wanted to say no but you didn’t. Why is that?” He asked outright, causing her to jump slightly. 

 

She looked at him for a few moments. “You aren’t like most elves.” She said simply with a shrug. 

 

Now that was certainly news to him. “How do you figure that?” 

 

“You haven’t gone out of your way to humiliate me all the time. In fact, you have treated me well for the most part. Less of a plaything and more of a valued captive. You ask me about the ways of Albar and its people.” She answered carefully, drawing a sharp laugh from him as he shook his head. 

 

“How monstrous we are viewed if the bar for kindness and mercy is so low as I.” He remarked. 

 

He was very cognizant for how his race had to be viewed by humans. Monsters, enemies, cruel tyrants that killed and enslaved and butchered wherever they went. It made trying to approach this situation diplomatically difficult. Which was the whole point. The point was to make this as impossible a task as could be. His brows knitted in frustrations as that ever looming problem hung heavy over him. 

 

“Is something troubling you, your grace?” The princess’s question drew him from his thoughts. 

 

He idly splayed his toes to get a better look at her, the tiny woman stumbling slightly upon the webbing as he considered the question. Well, there was no harm in voicing his issue to the woman he supposed. Not as though she was going to go blabbing about it. So he took a deep breath and essentially laid out the situation as it stood. Getting his words out there helped to frame it and to her credit the tiny woman didn’t interrupt. She didn’t speak until the end. 

 

“I don’t quite understand. You are a prince of your country, no?” She asked. 

 

“A prince, yes. Not a popular one among the more… conservative arms of Elsiran society. I am not one in favor of the continuation of the war as it stands. It costs many of our own lives to continue it which is a fact not touted by the propaganda of course. It is glorious to die for the cause and advancement of Elsira and the Empress. To bring the human race to heel is our destiny. Whatever the cost, it is gladly paid.” He snorted at the end there. “It is easy for the ones sitting high to say that. I say that as one that sits high. I have seen veterans of the war, maimed and hurt and scarred in the mind as well as the body. As well, we lost many civilians to your brother.” 

 

She frowned. “Are you trying to say what my brother did was wrong but what you do is right?” 

 

“No. That is not what I am saying. I am pointing out a fact, princess. When your brother sacked three elven settlements he displaced tens of thousands of people. We have done the same, we have done worse. If we had not attacked Albar we would not have lost those civilians. Those people would still be alive to do what they could to contribute to Elsira. Instead they are gone, dead, lost forever. Just as many of your people are gone, dead, and lost forever. Whatever their contributions might have been we will never know. How many great artists, composers, mages, and writers have we lost through the course of this war I wonder?” The Prince said at length, letting out a long sigh. “That is why I am here. I question these things. I made the mistake of questioning them openly. So here I am, far from where I can cause problems.” 

 

It was more than he had been meaning to say but it all came flooding out and the absolute helpless frustration had his voice take on an edge. Virion locked his jaw and looked at the princess between his big and second toes. She was looking at him along the length of his leg and his vast form. Those dark eyes again seemed to be gauging him. Considering him and seeing his words. 

 

“Why don’t you cause problems here then?” She mused. 

 

He blinked at that. “I’m sorry, what?” 

 

“What I mean is, it sounds like you don’t have the luxury of an orthodox approach to this whole situation. And as I understand it, you have total autonomy to rule your province yes? So why not do things in a manner that you see fit, rather than what wider Elsira sees fit?” The princess questioned. 

 

He was still failing to see what she was talking about here and for whatever reason it made him feel like he was missing something obvious she was alluding to. “Go on.” 

 

“You have access to resources here. Elven resources… and human resources. The humans of Albar haven’t all been reduced yet if I’m not mistaken. Why not make use of them? As in, really make use of them? They can do labor, ferry goods, work fields, and other such things and pay Elsiran taxes. It's a labor pool that other provinces don’t tap. It would also give you a wealth of resources at your disposal immediately, which you sorely need given the matters to the south.” Selena said. 

 

Now the light went off in his head what she was talking about. “If I let humans have equal rights to elves I’d be hung by my own people before the Grand Duchy crossed the border.” He remarked. 

 

She shook her head. “I’m not talking about equal rights, your grace. I’m talking about some degree of tolerance. Call them whatever you want, slaves, workers, serfs, just make it so they aren’t bugs crushed underfoot. Make it so they do the work that is beneath the elves settling here. A servant caste, rather than a caste murdered out of hand for amusement. As well, to the humans, you would appear until a merciful soft hand compared to the murderers they’ve fought and bled against. You lose basically nothing, but potentially gain so very much.” She leaned in and kissed the side of his toe lightly. “Give us something, by giving us nothing.” 

 

He watched her very carefully and weighed what she was saying. It was absolutely unheard of. Without question the most radical idea to have been presented to Elsiran royalty. However she wasn’t wrong. She absolutely wasn’t wrong. It wouldn’t win over every human. Not by a longshot. But especially emancipating the already reduced humans, it would earn him good will to an extent. As well as an untapped labor pool. Of course, there were risks of a revolt and it backfiring on him. But he was already in a very difficult situation. 

 

He smirked wryly at the woman kissing his toe. “Now why do I suddenly feel like it is I wrapped around your toe rather than you around mine at the moment?” He mused. 

 

“I certainly can confirm I’m wrapped around yours.” She remarked with a little chuckle. 

 

“I will consider your suggestion, Princess Selena. Ah, it goes without saying of course but alas I’ve grown rather fond of you at that size. So I do hope you won’t be expecting to escape it so easily.” He remarked. 

 

It was something. This was something he could work with. Where before he had nothing, the princess had once more proven she had a mind behind that pretty face. A mind he found himself growing more to appreciate.

Caged by Inwiththebooks

Selena had never been the most tactical of minds like her Brother Rickard. She had never been the strongest of people like her Brother Grimnar. She had never even been the fairest of beauties in the land like her sisters. What she had been was observant. She watched and saw how matters of court worked. How people worked. It was that skill it seemed that had landed her in the good graces of Prince Virion, placing her in his ear in a metaphorical sense. 

 

Not long after her suggestion, the Prince had instituted a policy of ‘Softer Reduction’. Essentially, almost all humans in the province of Lyssia had their height locked between 3 to 4 feet. It was a savvy move when she thought about it. Almost every elf would balk at the idea of humans being allowed to walk around at their normal size. So he had lowered the bar. Yet kept the bar high enough that they could actually do work expected of people. During the process he had his mages check for latent magical abilities and evidently removed those as well. Practical, but not foolish it seemed. One that learned from history.

 

He also instituted a system of separate laws by which humans were to be governed by. A lot of it was a list of things they weren’t allowed to do or couldn’t do. However compared to the laws of greater Elsira it was downright humanizing to be told you were allowed to own money and do work and live in homes. They were absolutely not even close to equals by any stretch from her viewing of the laws, however it was something that no one would have dreamed of after watching Nalista crush the capital in her hand. 

 

She had never dreamed of it either. What she was learning rather fast was Prince Virion was a practical man. Not exactly warm or fuzzy, indeed he could be rather a smug jerk at times in her opinion but at the end of the day his decisions were grounded in practicality. Selena was more than fine with that, it meant she could try to whisper in his ear and make things better for Albar’s people. As long as there was practical benefit in the end and the risk was not too great, he was rather willing to listen to her. That was a powerful tool. Of course as much as she used him, he was not shy about using her. 

 

“What a lovely pet you have there, your grace. So very pretty. Seems rather well behaved.” The voice was sickly sweet and reminded Selena far too much of some of the less friendly ladies of the court. 

 

“A one of a kind find you might call her.” The prince boomed on high in response. “She has certainly been a comfort in my time here far from home.” 

 

She was currently seated at a rather lovely table, one stacked high with towering dishes and meals that Selena herself had never seen before. She was positioned next to the plate Prince Virion had for himself. He had yet to touch anything on his plate, his golden eyes fixated upon the woman on the other side of the table. A rather tall and well dressed blonde haired elf, evidently one Councilor Idria. Her blue robes were made of the finest fabric imagined and she bore an impressive array of jewelry. She had been terrified to note some of that jewelry included humans in the design. Specifically a couple of her rings, the people bound and miserable, kept alive by magic to suffer. 

 

The Councilor chuckled, brushing some bangs from her face as she took a drink of wine. “From what I hear you’ve grown quite fond of the little creatures. Radically so one might say. My, they do talk about it so often at the capital.” She remarked. 

 

“Unlike some that enjoy the same wine they’ve been drinking for centuries, I rather think variety is the spice of life. The same vintage gets so very bland. Perhaps those of a palette dulled by such wine might consider it radical of course.” He said in return. 

 

Selena didn’t need to understand the deeper politics of Elsira to know these two were very much at odds with one another. The plastic smiles they wore for each other and the pretty words hiding sharpened barbs were universal to humans and elves it seemed. It was a false courtesy for one another. Just looking at Idria and her… fashion sense made Selena happy she was on that side of the table. 

 

“Far be it from me to comment on one’s treatment of their slaves. How you want to herd your animals is your business of course, your grace. I simply worry over your reputation, so many poisonous voices back home whispering in the wrong ears. You are so very bright, it is a pity to have you out here because of some youthful opinions shared back home.” Idria said in her faux sweet voice. 

 

“Funny you should mention poisonous voices, honored councilor. For you see it would appear there were some voices whispering in the ears of the human nation to the south of us. Rather cost us some valuable territory. One shudders to think one of our people would enable a potential enemy of the Empire, for personal political gain no less.” Virion mused. “Treasonous one might say.”

 

The councilor let out one of the fakest gasps that Selena had ever heard as she placed a hand to her ample bosom. “Oh my! How horrible, that anyone could be so low as to conspire with humans to undermine the Empire. What evidence do you have of this, your grace?” 

 

Virion lifted his own glass of wine and took a sip, swishing it around in his cup for a moment. “No hard evidence yet, but I’ll be conducting an investigation into the matter. The truth of the matter will be brought to light one way or the other.” 

 

Idria nodded. “Well, if *ever* you have need of any support, your grace, know that I am ever your humble and willing servant.” 

 

“Why thank you, Councilor, it does my heart good to know you wish to see justice served as much as I.” 

 

There was tension thick in the air and Selena was starting to see the bigger picture here. Virion had explained his situation and now she was seeing what appeared to be one of his opposition. The Councilor had the eyes of a snake really, someone that just rubbed you the wrong way. Whenever she glanced at Selena there was an almost predatory look in her eyes. Like she was sizing up a morsel and it made her queasy. 

 

Eventually they had finished for the evening after some vapid topics about the goings on in the imperial capital. Things Selena didn’t quite get. Fashion trends of the elves and some economic matters. A bit more polite seemingly. Idria stood up at the end and bowed her head low to the prince. It was not as full as many of the people around Virion usually gave him. A mocking kind of bow really. 

 

“Well, it has been a pleasure your grace but I think it's time I retire for the evening. Ah, I did bring you a gift.” She snapped her fingers and an elven servant approached the prince with a box. The servant opened the box and offered the contents to Virion. 

 

The young prince’s brow twitched every so as he reached down and lifted up a necklace. Selena was rather taken by how lovely it seemed… until she saw what was dangling from it. It was a pure golden chain necklace and the adornment on it was a golden cage bearing a few gems along it. There were tiny restraints inside as well. Judging from the expression on the prince’s face he was less than pleased with it but had to struggle to form a smile. 

 

“What a unique design, a new trend back home?” He asked as it dangled from his dark fingers. 

 

“Indeed, Grand General Nalista rather set this particular trend. Keeps her little captive inside of one. I think your pet would look just lovely inside of it. Why don’t you try it on?” Idria said with a smirk. 

 

His jaw clenched imperceptibly. “Why of course, Councilor. I am moved that you would think of me when you saw it.” He started to put it around his neck but she held up a finger. 

 

“Ah, your grace, I do believe it would look better if you had your little pet inside of it. Rather how it's meant to be worn.” She said. 

 

Selena felt her heart freeze almost immediately at the statement. Her dark eyes turned upward to Virion who was looking across the table at Idria, golden eyes burning with indignation. “Of course, if you enjoy her so very much I would never presume to tell you what to do with your playthings.” The councilor added. 

 

Selena was not familiar with elven politics but she understood quite well in the moment just how on the outs the prince that owned her was. Even tolerating humans, being kind to them, or even giving them some semblance of recognition was seen as a weakness. Idria was poking at him, forcing him to show that weakness to her. The dark haired young princess bowed her head slowly to the prince, slowly shifting from her seat on the table and down to her hands and knees. She wasn’t quite sure when her body had started moving as it did but once it had she couldn’t stop the words coming from her mouth. 

 

“Master, please, let me help you look nice.” She managed to get out. 

 

He looked down at Selena and his lips were turned down in the slightest of frowns. She in turn lifted her head to look up at him, searching his face. Any elf would have just immediately tossed her into a cage, and indeed she had half expected him to. He was cold at times, practical, but little moments of conflict like this were where she could get a deeper insight into the prince of Elsira. He really did remind her of Rickard in so many ways, just he hid them behind a mask of practicality. 

 

He lowered the cage down to the table and Selena found her heart pounding in her chest as she slowly stood up. She was aware that the councilor was watching, gleefully no doubt. She walked with as much dignity as she could manage toward the door to the cage. She unlatched it and stepped inside, pulling it shut behind her. The latch clicked shut, sending a shiver down her spine as she looked around her surroundings. 

 

It was indeed solid gold. There were restraints upon the floor, chains and cuffs of gold designed to keep her trapped. Even a collar. She didn’t approach those however, instead she simply seated herself down upon the floor of the cage and looked out through the bars. It was a pretty cage really, looking at someone wearing it might lift some eyebrows in court but evidently not so much in Elsira. 

 

Gravity shifted as she had to hold down her terror, air rushing past outside the bars as she was lifted up and up and up until she looked out and saw his face. It loomed before her through the bars, golden eyes fixed on her tiny form within the cage. She bowed her head meekly, a good show for the councilor. Despite it all her palms were sweating for some reason and her heart was going a mile a minute. Was this fear? Humiliation? She couldn’t decide. It wasn’t anything she had felt that much was for certain. 

 

The prince placed the necklace around his neck, latching the golden chain the cage was connected to perfectly. She jerked slightly as the cage bumped against the front of his flawless white and gold tunic. She could hear something in the distance. She could hear a rapid drumming beneath his slender torso, the drumbeat of his heart as fast as her own. Whether it was from anger or something she couldn’t say. 

 

“There now, doesn’t she look just lovely?” Idria said with a wide grin. 

 

“A fine gift, councilor. Worthy of a prince with a place all humans should be grateful to be in. I will treasure it.” He said with a forced smile. 

 

“Mmm, that makes me quite happy to hear. Now then I really should retire for the evening. I do thank you, your grace. You are quite the gracious host. I’m sure Lyssia will be in good hands with you.” She said before sweeping out of the room. 

 

As soon as she did Virion gripped the necklace and all but tore it off, shaking Selena and drawing a squeak from her from the sudden movement. He let the cage settle out into his palm and waited for her to open it up. She slowly opened the cage and stepped outside onto his flawless brown skin, looking up at his very irritated expression. As soon as she was out he handed the cage to the nearest servant. 

 

“Put it in the same jewelry box I keep all of her ‘gifts’ in.” He ordered before slumping back into his chair and letting out a long and frustrated sigh. 

 

Selena watched the servant depart and cleared her throat. “Not your best friend, I take it?” 

 

His glare was sharp upon her, drawing a wince. At that his expression relaxed ever so. “A toxic woman. A powerful toxic woman. One of the most powerful of the Elsiran Council and the uncrowned queen of the Citadel. Also the voice of the more conservative arms of Elsira. I had my suspicions when she traveled here for a visit but she didn’t even try to hide the fact she orchestrated all of this. Just coming to rattle my cage.” He growled. 

 

“You’ll forgive me, your grace, the finer points of Elsiran politics escape me.” Selena said. “However, I fail to see why a Councilor would go to all of these lengths to remove you and potentially kill you. You are royalty after all. Could you not simply order her arrested?” 

 

Virion chuckled. “I’d do far more than arrest that one. Far, far more.” He said darkly. “However, no. I cannot. Councilor Idria is extraordinarily popular with the people. Her views are seen as the ideal and she expresses the dream of all of humanity rendered worthless animals beneath our steps. Mine are less popular. More importantly, Idria is also royalty. She is my Aunt. The younger sister of the Empress. My mother also shares more of her views than mine.” 

 

Selene blinked. “You don’t look related. Like. At all.” She said. 

 

“Ah. The Empress takes consorts when having her children. My father is where I inherit my looks from.” He clarified. 

 

Selena scratched her chin as she seated herself down in the palm of the prince. “And as for why she would be going to these lengths?” That was the point she most found weighing on her mind. Why would a Councilor want to undermine a whole region just to kill one prince. 

 

“Twofold. One, to remove me. It was no doubt pitched to the Empress as a method to prove myself by bringing the animals to heel. Two, to draw in the Grand Duchy. They will sweep into Lyssia, kill many of our colonists no doubt. It will fan the spark your brother inadvertently lit. Deepen the resentment the Empire has for humans and continue the circle of violence until it rolls over all humans. As well as cost many many Elsiran lives to bring it about.” He said with a frown. 

 

Selena frowned as she considered it from that angle. It really was a case of a woman willing to just sacrifice countless lives in the name of maintaining a fire to swallow up all of humanity. When explained to her like this, when the details were laid out in front of her, Selena knew she had to try and avert it. To do anything to stop what happened in Albar from happening to the rest of the world. Perhaps, elf and human together, they could do it.

Steamy by Inwiththebooks

A light steam filled the air, the scent of lavender wafting around the massive bath chamber. A soft groan escaped Virion’s throat as he leaned back against the side of the masterwork carved stones, shaped by the magic of the elves. Heat seeped into his bones and the relaxing familiar scent reminded him of home in a way. The fall in this region was rather bitter cold so the heated water was a bliss for him. A blissful retreat from the crown of governor as well.

 

In a way Idria’s visit to rattle his cage had jump-started him to his next stage of planning. Virion had no intentions of lying back and letting her trap snap shut on him. He would succeed, he would claw his way back to the royal court, and he would make the councilor regret the indignity forced upon him in his exile. Which meant playing at the game of the region’s politics a bit. It was hard to know who to trust really. One that he had grown to trust more and more was certainly Selena. 

 

Her suggestion to lighten the treatment of humans in Albar had already started to bear fruit. Naturally many were distrustful of him, others however were beyond grateful for having been liberated from absolute certain death. The rebuilding effort with the new labor pool was going well. He was setting infrastructure faster than most colonies did with the extra hands. As well he drew upon others that knew the country well, offering them incentives for offering their knowledge rather than simply torturing it out of them. It was a balancing act of course. He couldn’t improve things too well or the elves under him would get *very* leery. So far he managed. 

 

His golden eyes turned to the edge of the bath and a certain tiny figure stood there, covering herself in a towel and as red as a cherry as she was working hard to look anywhere but him. A smirk curled up his lips. “I can get one of the servants to get a cup for you if you prefer.” He remarked. 

 

“W-we could also be bathing separately like decent people!” She squeaked. 

 

He lifted a brow at that. “Is mixed bathing not common among humans?” Absolutely alien. He couldn’t imagine such a thing. He had been bathing with servants and his sisters since he was old enough to walk. 

 

“It's indecent!” The young woman said. “Men and women are only supposed to see each other naked after marriage!”

 

What a very human load of nonsense. He had heard however that civilized humans were very much a species that valued a concept of modesty. Elves wore clothes as a means to express status visibly. The body however was something to be glorified and displayed. He flicked his eyes to his servant nearby and the woman bowed her head. Before Selena’s eyes she dipped down into the large pool of water, removing her clothes as she did so. It was amusing how wide her tiny dark eyes got at that. 

 

“Rytha, how long have you served me?” He asked the servant elf as she waded her way over to him. 

 

“Since you were born, your grace.” She answered automatically. 

 

She was indeed an older elf, having matured over the centuries into a full woman. Selena probably recognized her as the servant that generally cared for her needs, her lovely green hair and milky pale skin a sharp contrast to the prince himself. A good head taller than the dark skinned prince as well. He turned around and folded his arms against the side of the bathing pool, presenting her his flawless smooth back. Rytha had brought a cloth with her and immediately started to use it to scrub his back. 

 

“How many times have you attended me in a bath and does it shame you at all?” He asked, looking at the mesmerized Selena as the female elf washed his back. 

 

“Uncounted times, your grace. It is my greatest honor that I am worthy enough to be your bodyservant and tend to your needs. There can be no shame in such service.” The woman said. 

 

He lifted a brow at the dark haired human. “It is quite different in Elsira. While in this case you might argue it is a difference of servant and master, generally as a culture nudity is celebrated. Many of our cultural festivities are done naked. Naked parties are quite common in high society. I am curious though, is the concept of nudity intrinsically linked to erotic things for humans?” He asked. 

 

The spell seemed to break for her and she forced herself to look only at his face it seemed. Amusing. “Of course! A servant performs a service for their master for payment. But in polite society one covers their body to protect their dignity. It's a special thing reserved for people that are intimate with you to reveal it.” 

 

“Ah, so it is less immoral and more that it's a means to create mystery for potential suitors. It creates a desire to view that which is covered by your clothes as it is so rare. Which leads to the erotic connotations. Interesting. In Elsira, such a thing would be seen as extremely odd. Indeed, it implies there is something wrong with the body of the person hiding themselves. A sickness or deformity.” He mused. “It's also the exception to the rule that you are wearing clothes at all. Almost all humans in Elsira are naked, providing clothes for them is seen as unnecessary. I had never thought it was actually humiliating for you to not have clothes.” 

 

Indeed it rather shined a new light on the whole thing for him. Another sign of how their cultures were so divergent from one another. Whatever the case was he allowed Rytha to continue her work, catching Selena eyeing him as the servant worked. A smirk curled his lips as he considered another implication there. 

 

“So is this… erotic for you to watch then?” He asked. 

 

“Is-Is it what?” She sounded like she was having trouble thinking straight at the question. 

 

He flicked his fingers in dismissal of Rytha and she moved to the side of the pool obediently. “I asked you. Is seeing me like this erotic for you?” He asked as he stood up straight and started walking toward where Selena was. 

 

The water was at his waist in height, though looking down into the water one could see a clear distortion of what lay between his legs. Not something he had considered being a problem but  for Selena she was absolutely fighting to not look down it appeared. She was as red as possible and looked like she was, for once, not able to think. She was a headstrong woman with her own opinions, but her fluster was quite strong enough to disrupt her. 

 

He stopped right on the edge of the pool, his shadow looming over her as he set his hand on his hip. Before Selena a smooth and lithe wall stretched up. There wasn’t really a muscle to be found on his body, no clear defining sign of martial abilities. It was as smooth and soft as any woman's body, moreso really. Judging from how paralyzed she was no doubt it was enough to stun her. 

 

He tugged at the strands of the tapestry that bound his lifeforce, plucking along the weave of magic and Selena found her form glow blue for a moment before it faded away. With that done he slammed his hand down behind her, his hand like a great brown wall towering above. The way she jumped at that sent a thrill down his spine. He slowly started to move it towards the pool and him, forcing Selena to back away. 

 

“The water is so lovely, my little princess. Won’t you join me?” He asked with a smirk. 

 

“H-hey! Wa-Wait! I’ll drown, s-stop!” She stuttered. 

 

“Oh no worries there, the spell I cast will keep you from drowning. No excuses my dear. Learn a little about the elven culture.” He chuckled as he swept Selena into the pool. 

 

She landed with a little plop into the warm waters and when she rose up she was gasping and panting and looking around frantically. For whatever reason he felt his heart race, the same feeling he’d had when she had been dangling around his neck in a cage. He bit his lower lip slightly and kept his composure however. He shifted around and seated leaned down into the water, resting against the edge of the pool again. Only this time Selena was floating in front of him. 

 

“Relax, princess. We aren’t engaging in anything erotic. Simply two people enjoying a pleasing dip in a bath.” He said as she drifted near his collarbone. 

 

His hair was draped around him, the long silky strands extending into the water and at one point Selena drifted too close and almost got tangled in them. She righted herself before that and instead glared up at Virion. 

 

“You! Are an insufferably smug jerk!” She shouted. 

 

“What was it you said with Idria around… I should use you as I see fit?” He mused. 

 

“That was different. I was trying to help you save face.” She said stubbornly. 

 

Why had it been something he had hesitated to do? He hadn’t quite parsed that out himself. He would have tossed any human in there without a second thought. However Selena wasn’t any other human. At least not to him anyway. She was an ally, a clever woman, and also just generally amusing to be around. He halfway enjoyed when she was disrespectful. It was a curious thing. 

 

“I know. Thank you.” He said earnestly, without a mocking smirk. “Finding you in the dirt was truly like finding a diamond in the mud.” 

 

She fell silent at that and slowly drifted over to his collarbone. He shivered slightly as he felt her tiny form touch there and she leaned against him as he was doing against the side of the pool. There was a wave of heat that went through him as he felt her upon him, pooling between his thighs in a manner that would have been very *very* obvious above the surface. He wasn’t sure why it got him like that. Maybe it was that she did it willingly. Without needing to be ordered or bound to do it like so many slaves. 

 

“You’re a gentle heart, master. Still a smug jerk, but a good person beneath it.” She said. 

 

Master, there was that word again. He had heard it a number of times but there was a bit more of a spice to it coming from her lips. He let out a sigh. “A selfish heart, princess. I do what I see as practical and useful, not what is good and right.” He insisted. 

 

“Maybe. Maybe not.” She mused. 

 

He frowned at that. “I’m the Prince of the Empire that makes playthings and slaves of your race. I have grown up using humans like that. I am not a good person by your definition, princess. No different from any other elf that might stand over you.” He insisted.

 

There was a pause before she let out a little laugh. “Any other elf would have turned the people of Albar into playthings as well. Any other elf would be endlessly tormenting me until I’m a brainless slave. Any other elf wouldn’t have listened to me when I argued the merits of mercy. Perhaps you do things other elves do, but you are not solely ruled by practicality. There is something else below it. Compassion.” 

 

“Compassion gets people killed.” Virion remarked. 

 

“Yet you don’t refute it.” Selena returned. 

 

How irksome. He frowned but bit his tongue. For the moment he let the matter settle and instead relaxed into the pool. He tried to let the warm waters take his thoughts far away, however all he could think of was the warmth he had felt between his legs when she had called him Master and the complex feelings her words had given him.

Mercenary by Inwiththebooks

Half the time when Selena was with Prince Virion it was interesting just seeing how he handled the work of administering to his province. He was an administrator first and foremost. As well he was a numbers driven man. Economics, development projects, infrastructure building. All things Selena had never known as being so important. In this respect he really was a good choice for a governor of a province. Albar had been rendered very ruined from war after all, so Lyssia has a province needed quite the mind behind it. 

 

She was perched upon his shoulder as she watched him administer to matters from his throne. As he understood it the people that came before him were essentially regional officials he assigned and granted land grants. They would eventually found noble houses once the province was finally established fully. It was a system where he assigned those most competent to try and carry out the rebuilding effort, they in turn were incentivized to do well as these lands would become the homes of their dynasties. It was unique. 

 

“...Should have been sent out a week earlier. I’ve heard you’ve been hesitant to use the humans in your territory. I didn’t leave them at a decent scale for kindness, many of them know the land and routes better than we do. Use them. Not using them is akin to writing with your finger as opposed to a pen because you don’t like the color of the plume!” He said to the latest official. 

 

The official dipped into a low bow. “Of course your grace! I will make proper use of the tools you’ve given.” 

 

The prince waved a hand. “See that you don’t overwork them, we aren’t in a position where we can afford needless waste.” He said as the elf departed from his sight. 

 

His servant Rytha came up beside him and offered him a scroll as the next elf stepped up. A well dressed woman about a head taller than the prince. “Hmm… rebel activity. Not unexpected. I can’t approve these levels of troop deployments however. They are needed at the border with the Grand Duchy.” 

 

“But your grace, they are disrupting internal supply!” The woman said. “If you gave just a small force we could crush them and make an example.” 

 

“More likely they would lure us out into the wilds and countryside where they have the advantage. Still, something does need to be done I agree. Our moves will be two fold. We will shift the supply chains. As well let it be filtered out that any that lay down arms will be granted a pardon by the Governor for their actions and allowed to work.” He said. 

 

“Your grace, that simply rewards misdeeds-!” 

 

“Fool, their main source of resources comes from raiding those routes. By shifting them where they are not we can draw them closer to the border if they continue to resist. As well, when faced with starvation and being able to survive it's likely some will find their hunger overrides their misguided patriotism. We won’t catch all the flies with honey, but enough to lighten our problems.” Virion said as he handed the scroll back to Rytha. 

 

The elven woman frowned but nodded her head. “Of course, your grace.” 

 

It was never ending when he held the audience. If it wasn’t officials like this, it was the occupation forces. If not them it was the mages that were building out the gate system in Lyssia. If not them it was the humans he had allowed to serve as elected members of their peers to bring concerns directly to him. Every day he sat upon the throne of Lyssia and actively worked on the affairs of his personal kingdom on the edge of the Empire. It was quite exhausting just being with him during it all. Her father the Emperor had a lot of advisors he delegated most affairs like this to. Prince Virion was very hands on in his rule. 

 

Eventually Rytha came up next to him and whispered in his ear. Thanks to Selena’s position she could hear her voice. “The appointment from Nura has arrived, your grace.” She said. 

 

“Hmm? Good. Send for them to enter.” He said. 

 

“Nura?” She asked aloud. 

 

“Strange bedfellows and all that, princess.” The man muttered to her. 

 

The Republic of Nura was well known for being an isolationist nation that made a good deal of coin by renting out a rather impressive mercenary arm of its country for the infighting of the countries on the continent. In recent years they were used by desperate nations to avoid being crushed under Elsiran heel but even they weren’t enough to stop the march of the army of the elven Empire. 

 

The doors of the audience chamber opened and in stepped a woman dressed in a very rough looking uniform of blue and gold. Her boots clacked upon the ground and she ignored whatever glares were sent her way by the elves around her. She was middle aged by the looks of her, her coat fluttering behind her as it hung off her shoulders. Her dark hair was wild behind her, flecks of grey to be seen peppering it. One of her eyes was gone, replaced inside by a strange mental and glass replacement that looked more like an artful eyepiece than anything else. She was more handsome as opposed to classically beautiful. Tall for a human woman at six foot flat, but absolutely dwarfed by most of the elves. 

 

“Hail, Prince Virion of Elsira, prettier than all maidens of Nura truly. Certainly prettier than me by much.” Her Elven was very thickly accented, but understandable. She bowed at the waist in an overly exaggerated manner. 

 

Selena tensed as the hostility the elves in the room were shooting the woman could have melted a lesser. Many of these elves could probably have rendered the woman Selena’s size and no doubt many of them ached to do so. Virion leaned forward however, causing Selena to grip onto loose strands of his dark hair for support as the ground beneath her shook. 

 

“Saying an elf is prettier than all humans is a backhanded insult really back home.” He remarked. “Not that you’d know that miss…”

 

“Colonel Adalina Vitarez at your service, leader of the Iron Hand Mercenaries. When your letter reached the Ministry of Commercial Affairs I’ll admit I found myself intrigued. Same cannot be said for my peers.” She laughed. It was a very easy going kind of sound. 

 

“Well, I thank you nonetheless. My letter lined out pretty much everything I’m looking for. A temporary mercenary force to shore up Lyssia’s defenses to the south. Free up my resources a bit.” Virion said. 

 

“Mmyes, it lined that out fairly clearly. Lyssia is it? My how quickly the name Albar vanishes from history. Just as Latria before it did as well. And no doubt many more.” She remarked. 

 

“History is written by the victors so they say.” The prince shrugged. 

 

“What a very dull history no? One has to wonder if humanity and this whole war will just be a footnote. Ah well. Sounds like not my concern. What is my concern is I have no wish to be shrunken and turned into a little toy. Neither do my men. A tiny mercenary army at your lovely feet might be arousing I’m sure, but rather a waste of coin and time yes?” Adalina remarked. 

 

It was interesting to see how much the elves bristled at the idea of a human being able to talk so casually to the prince. There was a marked lack of care for decorum and courtroom proceedings from the woman. However looking up she saw the curling lips of her giant captor who let out a little chuckle. It was probably refreshing to him, as she understood it his dealings with humans prior to coming to Albar- Lyssia were rather limited to broken slaves. 

 

“Agreed. I don’t have such a wealth of resources to waste on a vanity project like that. So I wouldn’t worry about that. I wish to hire you for your military expertise. Not as toys. Would be hard to do if you were reduced.” He said. 

 

“As I hear it, Lyssia has more humans almost people sized. Curious. Was the whole reason I came here. Wanted to get the measure of the man we’ve been hearing about for the past months. Have to say, you don’t disappoint in presentation at the very least. Though I have to remark, odd to use humans as your guard dogs against other humans. Why would I not simply take a counter offer from your enemies?” She asked with a lifted brow. 

 

The hostility from the other elves in the room increased quite a bit at that. As Selena understood it, from their perspective, Adalina should have been honored that Virion recognized her as being anything other than dirt under his sandal. So all of this was seen as an extremely high insult. Not that Virion again seemed to care over much. Instead he leaned back and started weaving a few fingers through his dark hair. Specifically the strands that Selena was on. 

 

Selena let out a squeak as the massive digits curled around the strands she was wrapped up in, binding her and tying her like thick black ropes. She was getting tangled up in the silky smooth strands and buried inside of the thick forest of his flawless hair. She felt a shimmer of magic come over her. A protective spell to keep her from being crushed. She puffed out her cheeks at the rather casual domination as he toyed with his hair and her without much concern. 

 

“I would think you would prefer to have someone like me in the region, actually.” Virion remarked. “My hand with humans is much more practical than many of my fellows. Humans have their uses beyond mere playthings to me. We’ve already accomplished a much quicker reconstruction with added human labor, so there is that fact. However for the sake of argument let's play that out. Lets say you do help the other side. I’m dead or captured, Albar restored possibly as a puppet state under the Grand Duchy. What do you think happens after a prince of the Empire is killed or taken prisoner?” 

 

Adalina smirked a bit. “Very logical, but has it occurred to you that humans don’t operate on logic, beautiful prince? Most often it's feelings that guide humans. Emotions. What you are playing out is objective fact but you fail to understand the fundamental human resistance against that. It's not a positive quality I’ll grant you, but if you hope to deal with humans more, you should come to understand that more I’d think. Just advice from a woman who’s dealt with many people over her lifetime.” 

 

“Even in the face of the inevitable, fight on eh?” Virion mused. “There is some merit in that but there comes a time where things are beyond inevitable.” 

 

His finger continued to toy with Selena and she was finding it harder and harder to focus on the conversation that the two were having. She was tied and tangled and wrapped up in silken strands at all angles. It was rather like being trapped in a spiders web almost. Eventually he stopped fiddling with his hair and removed his hand. It did little good to free Selena however as she was still very much tangled and not getting free from the thick strands. The two continued their conversation beyond. 

 

“Aye, we of Nura particularly have had vested interest in learning about your people. Our forces have clashed a few times indirectly through outfits like mine. Enough for me to know that, yes, it's inevitable what you say comes to pass if you die. So fair point, I think I would rather get paid by you than potentially on the other side of the blade of whatever army would come after looking for blood. Better to be at the hand of the devil than under his rather large step. I’ll have my quartermaster send over our contract and terms. The coin I suspect you won’t have a problem meeting. Do note however my men won’t answer to elves, only to me. I’ll in turn answer to you. No reductions either, makes fighting harder. A fair arrangement I think.” She said with a nod. “In return you get five thousand soldiers, one hundred landships, one hundred mobile armor units, and a few detachments of artillery.” 

 

The man nodded. “Excellent. I’ll look forward to seeing you at work. As soon as the contract is drafted, have it sent to me and we’ll make it official. Until then consider yourself my guest.”

 

With that Selena felt a slackening in his hair as he let it down… only to let out a little cry as he gathered it back up. Including the strands with her in it. He schooled it into his normal ponytail and bound it with his hair piece, trapping Selena in a mass of hair. Part of her wondered if he actually was still aware she was here and that gripped her heart with fear. However the next words he spoke dashed those concerns. 

 

“Rather a royal headpiece wouldn’t you say, princess?” 

 

What a jerk.

Pleasure by Inwiththebooks

Whatever else Virion could say about the Iron Hands, they were very effective. No sooner had they been placed on the border had some issues with bandits occurred. Of course, these weren’t actually bandits. They were simply Grand Duchy troops that didn’t fly the colors. Testing the border and the defenses that had been set up there. They found a rather rude surprise when they were confronted by both occupation forces and the mercenaries that Virion had hired. Most were routed and sent back south. 

 

Of course his actions had gained some rather unfortunate attention from deeper in Elsira as he understood it. His actions with the humans in the province had been radical enough but hiring an armed human mercenary army was very much beyond the norm. More than a few councilors had filed direct protest with him but Virion ignored them for the moment, focusing instead on the next matter of import. Such as the rebellion inside of the province. 

 

He had opted not to bring Selena with him for this particular outing. He wasn’t sure why. It just felt wrong to include her in deeds like this one. It was an irrational thing but it was one that stuck out in his mind. His carriage rolled to a stop and it was outside one of the southern forts near the border with the Grand Duchy. Specifically where Adalina and her fellows had set up shop. The place had rather been transformed into a base camp with plenty of elements of Nura around it. As well as the banner of the Iron Hands flying above their camp. 

 

Rytha offered a hand to him to help him down from the carriage before falling in step behind him. His guards also fell in step around him. Experienced battlemages all of them. More than enough to handle most threats to his person. He walked into the fort and waved a hand over the protests of the sputtering garrison commander. There had been *multiple* protests about the lack of respect Adalina and her officers had for the elven chain of command. Which he had expected. The woman was a mercenary after all. 

 

His steps took him through the fort and down toward the dungeon. It was here that Adalina met him, leaning outside the entrance. The woman nodded her head to him, taking a drag from a pipe set between her teeth. She blew out a plume of smoke to the side, the sickly sweet scent of the smoke causing Virion to wrinkle his nose. 

 

“Show me to the prisoners.” He ordered. 

 

“Shocked you came out all this way yourself. I like a man that is hands on.” The woman chuckled as she opened the door to the dungeon. 

 

Virion signalled for his bodyguards to wait at the entrance. Rytha still fell in behind him. Asking her to leave his side for a period of time was folly. The prince made his way down the ill lit halls of the dungeon, the flickering torchlight casting the long shadows of the bars here or there. Eventually they arrived at a rather spacious cell. The inside of the cell held a trio of men and a woman, all wearing rather rough and torn clothes. His eyes flicked over each of them in their turn. Some of the captured rebels. 

 

“Caught them about to raid a few supply wagons. They didn’t exactly expect a Nura detachment assigned to it.” The woman remarked. 

 

One of the men inside of the cell spat in her direction. “Race traitor. You got a fetish for gobbling down elf cock?” 

 

The mercenary leader looked at the man and lifted a brow. “I mean, could you blame me if I did? A very princely cock it would be.” The woman chuckled, causing the man to go red in the face. 

 

Suffering through the quips of the mercenary almost made him feel like he was the one that should be getting paid at times. He sized up the four humans in the cell and without waiting, he flicked his fingers. An echo of power rippled through the air and into the cell, pulsing through reality as Virion tugged at the magical strands that tied everything together. His power wrapped around the forms of the four humans almost immediately and before the eyes of his escorts they reduced in size dramatically until they were no bigger than half an inch tall. 

 

As soon as the process was done Rytha opened the door to the cell while Adalina watched on. It was likely she heard the stories of the power of Elsiran magic but had never seen it with her eyes. Though the look in her single fleshy eye was less fearful and more analytical. Studying Well, Virion wasn’t too shy in this instance about flexing it a bit. The prince stepped inside the cell, the four little humans squeaking in confusion before looking up at him. He set his hands on his hips as he looked down at them. 

 

“I am Prince Virion Elsira, Governor of Lyssia-” 

 

“It's Albar you tyrant!” One of the men shouted up at him. 

 

Virion idly flicked his foot out, knocking the man back hard. He landed oddly, screaming as the blow no doubt broke his arm. There was a deep, illicit pleasure that washed through Virion at the sight. For all his pragmatism, for all that he was willing to rule with a soft touch, Virion was still an elf of Elsira. There were certain delights that were universal and one was the effortless displays of difference between their two races. 

 

“Governor of Lyssia and ruler of these lands by the grace of the Empress herself.” He finished without missing a beat. “You have committed acts of banditry and rebellion against myself and against the crown. Any elf would find themselves awaiting trial and execution for that, as humans you don’t have that luxury. However, should you offer me information of use, I would be willing to pardon your actions. Also should it turn out you are citizens of a… foreign nation I would of course be willing to send you back, a sign of goodwill.” 

 

They all glared up at him. Defiance. He recognized it in their eyes. The urge to fight back against something they saw as unfair. Adalina was right, logic was not something that could overrule emotion. Perhaps that was why each new war got bloodier and bloodier. The human desperation and desire to fight against inevitability. Not that it would change the end. 

 

Virion shrugged. “Perhaps my soft touch with your fellows has led you to be mistaken that I am weak. Allow me to dispel your notions.” 

 

He reached down and plucked up the woman of the group, earning dismayed shouts from her fellows. She screamed and started kicking and flailing between his dark fingers, pounding and squirming. 

 

“Put her down bastard!”

“Stop! You better not hurt her, monster!”

 

He snorted as he looked at the woman in his fingers. She looked a bit older than Selena. Fairly close to her appearance as well. There was a voice whispering in the back of his head that Selena wouldn’t approve of this if she saw it. That if she was watching this she would probably be horrified. He pushed it down and shoved it aside and instead regarded the woman between his fingers. 

 

“I often find myself musing over the motivation of soldiers. Especially human soldiers. I once spoke to Grand General Nalista, I asked her why she believes people are willing to throw their lives away for the causes of those that will never know their names. She told me that it boiled down often to a desire to seek out glory, to impact the world even if only in a small way, and also to advance the interests of a nation one loves. As well as a good deal of propaganda fed to them to make them feel these emotions. So I wonder, in that vein, is that why you choose to right me? In the vain hope you can make a difference against the Empire?” He mused. 

 

“Yes! Because we can’t leave Albar to monsters like you! Because this isn’t right!” The woman squeaked. 

 

Virion snorted. “Right and wrong has nothing to do with it, human. Albar fell. If all the human nations in the world united against Elsira they would still fall in a pointless bloody struggle. In the end, does it matter what you fought for if it gets washed away in a tide?” He asked before shrugging. “Who can say, that is for the future to decide. I can tell you, human, you don’t matter. Your actions don’t matter. Individually, you mean as much as dirt. Your superiors won’t ever know your name and they won’t care if I crushed you between my fingers here. Perhaps you should therefore concern yourself with your wellbeing, rather than keeping their secrets.” He said bluntly.

 

“F-fuck you! You don’t know anything about us! W-wait, what are you…” 

 

Virion handed her off to Rytha and nodded to the others on the floor. “Gather them up. Lets see if we can’t loosen their tongues.” The prince said to the servant. 

 

Adalina at that point spoke up. “Well, I would actually like to see what you have in mind. But I should see to my men. So with that, I’ll leave you to it, Prince Virion.” The woman offered an exaggerated bow as Rytha collected the other humans. 

 

Virion nodded in acknowledgement. A pity, she probably would have enjoyed watching what was going to come next. Virion knew he intended to enjoy it. The prince departed the dungeon with Rytha behind him, a squirming bundle of humans gathered in her hand. They traced a path through the fort back from the dungeon and eventually ended up in a rather nice looking study. The guards posted up outside naturally made sure no one was going to enter. 

 

With that Virion sank back into one of the fine chairs of the room and leaned back. He looked at Rytha and the four squirming humans in her hands with a smirk. “Rytha here is rather a paragon of elven servants. Most of the servants attending the royal family are. One that would happily grant me any service I ask. Indeed, she’s devoted many many years as my servant.” It had naturally given her no small amount of wealth. Royal servants were paid extraordinary amounts. 

 

The pretty prince idly spread his legs in his chair and looked at Rytha. She caught on quick and the slightest bit of a smirk quirked up her lips. Without much ceremony she tossed the four squirming tiny humans into her mouth, rather like they were pieces of candy. She didn’t swallow though it likely didn’t matter for the panicking humans in her maw. Instead she got down on her knees in front of the prince and started working at his clothes. 

 

“Has rather been a while. Take it slow.” He ordered the lovely servant. 

 

The woman nodded through a mouthful of human as she freed his half erect length to open air. The elven servant smirked at the sight of it and opened her mouth. The view the humans had was no doubt something unimaginable. Unthinkable. Their window of the world was rapidly being swallowed by the sight of the dark member of the prince, coming closer and closer as Rytha leaned forward. He could hear some high pitched screams in her mouth. Right before her lips closed around him and… ahhh. 

 

Virion’s fingers curled into the armrest of the chair as his length slipped inside Rytha’s mouth. The moist fullness of her mouth had him stiffen up fast and worked him right to attention fully. He could feel the squirming forms of the humans pressed between her mouth and his shaft, their writhing attempts of escape only serving to further fuel his own arousal. He bit his lower lip as the servant pushed forward all the way, swallowing up his length. 

 

Her head bobbed below as she got to work in earnest, her tongue swishing around him. The humans found themselves used in a most humiliating manner, not really much more than some extra stimulation. Virion’s illicit thoughts carried him away as Rytha worked as he idly wondered what it would be like for Selena to take the place of the four. He curled his toes as the idea of the woman naked and sprawled out on Rytha’s tongue as he slipped inside pulsed through him. Not screaming, but flushed and wide eyed. 

 

He could make that real but no, he wouldn’t force Selena like that. These four though could feel how stiff the idea made him, subjected to the consequences of his lewd musings. Rytha was slow as ordered, methodical, working him like she knew he liked to be worked. The servant was truly nimble with her tongue, avoiding swallowing a human through the whole thing. Virion’s head was a lovely haze as his musings continued along, remembering that feeling below at Selena trapped in her cage. 

 

Rytha sucked him off with such skill that it wasn’t long until the dam burst. “Ah!” 

 

A cry escaped his throat as he filled her mouth with white hot release. The humans inside her mouth found themselves drowning in it as he came, swallowed up in the sticky aftermath of Rytha’s efforts. The prince nodded to a glass as he basked in his afterglow. Rytha dutifully picked it up, her mouth quite fully. She opened her lips over the glass and cum, saliva and the coughing and sputtering humans spilled down into the glass. 

 

They were wallowing around in a pool of Virion’s juices, coated in them from head to toe. The woman inside pressed herself against the glass. 

 

“Pl-please… gods please no more. I’ll *cough* talk.” The woman said feebly. 

 

Virion took up the glass and looked down into it. “See? I knew even dim minds like you could see logic.” He chuckled.

Exploration by Inwiththebooks

Work tended to consume Selena’s owner at most hours of the day. He worked endlessly, going from one thing to the next. Always either on his feet or at his writing desk. The princess tried to help where she could, giving advice and what little insight she could but at her size there wasn’t much she could physically do to help him out. Something that frustrated her endlessly. Ever since arriving from his trip down south he had been in an even longer flurry of activity, which only compounded her feelings of being useless. 

 

About the only thing she could do was what she was doing right now, working between the elegant dark toes of the prince while he laid out on his bed. He almost never went to bed simply because he wanted sleep. It was basically a case of him simply passing out when he could no longer work. It was unhealthy in her opinion but she had to admit, she admired how hard he worked day in and day out. Not one to laze about at all hours of the day. 

 

She looked up from her rather degrading work out across his form. He had basically flopped out onto his back and had Selena set to work. After dismissing Rytha it had been about fifteen minutes before he had just passed out. The princess looked along the long and rolling landscape before her, his dark skin concealed by a loosely bound robe of white and gold. As still as possible aside from the gentle breaths that caused his chest to rise and fall. The perspective was enough that she caught herself staring overly long, her eyes drinking in the little details here or there. 

 

“At times I wonder if I’m going crazy.” She muttered to herself.

 

It was a question she indeed had asked herself oft as of late. At first, when she had set out on this path, it was simply to try and manipulate things to best allow her people to live without fear of being crushed and eaten. Yet there were moments like now. Where she stared out at the dark skinned prince of Elsira and found herself feeling a complex mix of emotions in her stomach. That same feeling she had in that bathhouse. The same feeling when she had shuffled into a cage suspended around his neck. There was much about him that was smug and elven, but also a mind that had genuine concern toward the future. 

 

“Yes, definitely going crazy.” She muttered to herself as she slid down the top of his foot and toward his ankle. 

 

The princess landed nimbly upon the soft flesh of his ankle and wondered idly how Rickard was doing. As she understood, he was the trophy of Grand General Nalista. It meant he was probably still alive… but she had to wonder if that was a good thing or not. She had her doubts that the woman that had crushed a city in her fist was anything approaching kindly. Whatever the case was Selena could do nothing for him, simply pray that one day they might meet again. She had to do what she could here. 

 

She wasn’t exactly concerned with Virion tossing and turning as she walked from his ankle toward his shin and the barrier of fabric there that was the hem of his robe. She had seen him sleep many times before, when he was out it was like looking at a stone slab. She was still a bit red in the face when she reached the hem of his robes. The noble ladylike thing would have been to go *over* the hem and make her way atop it. The princess however found herself a tad curious despite herself after their shared bath. What had he said, nudity was something normalized among his kind? 

 

The well dressed human looked around as though someone would be watching, before lifting the hem of his robes and crawling under it. There was almost an illicit feeling like she shouldn’t be here that filled her. The light here was dim, the soft glow of the light beyond the clothing beaming down through places where the fabric didn’t block it fully. Selena had to get on her and hand knees to comfortably make her way forward, occasionally there were patches where she could stand and walk with a stooped posture here or there. 

 

It was warm as the body heat of the male elf was captured and blocked by the robe. Selena found her heart pounding in her chest as she made her way along the smooth skin of his leg. Gods, why did the elves have to look so damn beautiful. It was almost a tragic thing, that such a lovely race could be so very cruel. The rose there had some very sharp and nasty thorns. Even next to a male Selena found herself feeling like she was some ugly plain faced nobody.

 

“Starting to see why Rickard had a thing for Nalista growing up.” She mused. 

 

Indeed her brother had long had a deep affection for the Grand General and had a number of books with illustrations of the woman in them. Even when she had been projected standing above the city Selena had to admit that she had been… almost divine. Like a demi god had stepped down from the heavens to grace the soil with her steps. It was the same feeling she had when she had first seen Virion. Like he was otherworldly in a way that even other elves couldn’t capture. 

 

She continued on her journey along his leg, the limb lacking pretty much anything in terms of muscle. Even without it, Selena had no doubt a shift from him would be enough to overwhelm her or end any other human. She had often wondered why the elves opted for shrinking or using size as a status symbol. Even after granting some liberties to humans he had insisted on a reduced scale of sorts. Now, crawling along past his knee and toward his thigh she understood why. It was to display clearly for both races what the difference between the two was, to grind it into the minds that they were not equal. It was quite effective and the view, with the right person, could be breathtaking. 

 

Selena’s movements took on an edge of hesitation as she was crawling along his thigh. She swallowed thickly as she was coming closer between his legs and sure enough, her eyes drank in the dimly lit scene. As a proper woman of Albar she had never… well, she had never witnessed a man fully bare. She had caught glimpses in their shared bath but never the mythical illicit fullness.

 

There was some fuzzy feeling in the back of her head as she beheld a shaft at full attention, the dark member pulsing with blood. She had no idea what that meant really, not like she had anything to compare it to. Was that how it was for all men? The air felt warmer. More humid. There wasn’t a hair to be found down here, all of it smooth and flawless skin. Her eyes traced down from the shaft and further down, drinking in every detail. The more she looked, the more that fuzzy feeling in her brain asserted itself and indeed she could feel a nervous flutter in her stomach. 

 

She froze as in the distance she heard a wordless and senseless mutter, booming out over her. Virion making some kind of noise in his sleep. She was frozen in place for a good few moments before she was convinced he was still asleep. Part of her was telling her to keep going on past this part but she instead found herself walking alongside of the erect member. She placed her hand to the side of the base with trembling pale fingers contrasted against the dark. It was blazing hot, she could *feel* the blood rushing beneath with every beat of his distant heart. 

 

Strange though one would think she’d notice it if it was like this all the time. It hadn’t seemed like it was like this when he’d been in the bath. Selena had questions but asking Virion would be a bit too embarrassing. Maybe she’d dare to broach the subject with Rytha? The servant treated her well and answered her minor questions about this or that, so perhaps she could shed some light on some aspects of the male form. 

 

Whatever the case was Selena pulled herself away and continued on her course. From her spot she traveled along the expanse of his slim belly. As she traveled she could hear faint noises below, the slightest of bubbling from his food that evening. She had yet to see him eat a human though, according to him, he had indeed done so before. It would be easy for him. There was a flash in her mind of her dangled above his flawless lips, curled in an amused smirk and it was one she quickly dismissed from her mind. 

 

“I really am going completely insane in captivity.” She muttered under her breath. 

 

From his stomach she eventually arrived along his chest and it was here that light beamed in as the robe parted. His chest was as slender as the rest of him. She could feel the near beat of his heart, drumming in his chest loudly. Walking along his body was like walking along the surface of a being carved to perfection by the gods themselves. It once more struck her how very cruel the gods were to gift such beauty to such a dangerous species. Her brother had been blessed with a beauty many in the Empire considered otherworldly, but compared to the prince she walked along it was no contest. 

 

She made her way to his collarbone and looked along his neck, her eyes trailing up toward where his face was. Might as well finish the whole journey. She seized some of his loose dark hair and started climbing up the thick strands of fibers. She made her way up with some skill, decently used to moving through his hair after time in his service. Eventually the half inch woman set foot upon his forehead and looked out along his face and then out along his whole body. 

 

The perspective was a bit different from here than it had been at his feet. Selena set her hand on her hip and marveled at how vast the distance she had traveled was. It hadn’t seemed like it but crawling all this way certainly put things into perspective. She allowed herself a little smirk. He’d been none the wiser as well. 

 

“Had your fun, Princess?”

 

She watched his lips move and heard the booming words fill her ears. Golden eyes half opened below and she felt fear immediately lance through her. She froze in place, completely speechless. 

 

“Honestly, if you were that eager for a tour you could have told me earlier.” The man said as he shifted and caused Selena to slide down from his face. She squeaked as she landed in his hand, positioned to catch her as she fell. 

 

“W-when did- how-” Selena stuttered as he yawned loudly and sat up in bed. 

 

“Around when you started moving around between my legs. Hard to not notice you there.” He remarked. 

 

Oh gods she wanted to just crawl somewhere and die alone. Her red face was clear and she covered it with her hands. That drew a booming chuckle from the prince. It was really her own stupid fault for doing something like that, but he could have said something at any time! Now here she was flustered and fuzzy headed and feeling a little woozy. She liked it better when he was asleep. 

 

“Nothing to be embarrassed about, my dear. I’m not mad or anything. Though next time, at least wait until I’m awake so I can properly enjoy your virgin fumblings around my body.” He remarked. 

 

“You! Are an insufferable jerk!” She pointed at him, still completely cherry red. 

 

“A very pretty insufferable jerk I’m sure you’ll agree.” He shot back. 

 

“Uggghhh just put me in a shoe or something and step on me, please.” She laid back in his palm and groaned as she set her arm over her face. Gods above, if it got her away from this anything was better. A booming chuckle was his only reply.

Way Out by Inwiththebooks

The flurry of activity from Virion in recent days had a reason. His interrogation of some of the Grand Duchy’s agents had revealed to him that the rebellion was getting direct support from the Grand Duchy. It made sense of course and he had his suspicions but now he had concrete information to act on. The rebellion was being used to keep his efforts busy while the Duchy gathered its forces and drew up plans for an attack. Which meant it needed to be wiped away. The how of it was proving to be difficult. 

 

Time was with him but also against him here. The Grand General would be returning to the continent in a few months time. Nalista was many things, but she was no puppet of the Council. She had also served as one of his instructors on the ways of war growing up. He had disagreements with her methods at times but she was absolutely someone he could trust. If he could stall the ability of the Duchy to march then he would be secure. Of course, time was against him in that his opponents on the Council knew this. So they were moving with their own plans. 

 

He needed more support behind him and it was to that end he had invited the governess of the neighboring province to Lyssia. Idriana was a clever woman, she had not gotten her post simply because she was born to the right family. She had earned it through deed and through skill as an administrator. He regretfully knew little about the woman aside from that, however it was never too late to foster relations. 

 

Dinner had gone extremely well, he had opted for some local fare at Selena’s recommendation and sure enough it seemed to charm the woman to sample local delicacies. Now he had managed to get her in his study, it was time to start making overtures. Which he was about to until Idriana took command of the conversation first. 

 

“My, your pet is quite a darling little thing isn’t she, your grace?” The tall elf remarked. 

 

The pair of them were seated across from each other, Virion lounging on a fine settee and Idriana in a plush and cushioned chair. Upon a side table next to him was Selena, seated and watching the two. He had expected her to completely ignore her in all honesty. He smiled politely and delved into her line of conversation without missing a beat.

 

“Indeed. Rather one of a kind. I’ve grown rather fond of her since arriving in Lyssia.” He said. 

 

“So I’ve heard. Indeed, as I hear it you have grown rather fond of humans in general since arriving here. I had noted a few… oversized specimens I passed by during the carriage ride. Novel to see.” Her tone was light but it didn’t take a genius to see where she was going with this. 

 

“Ah, well, when you have oxen on hand and a field to plow, it would be ill advised not to make use of them.” Virion said with a shrug. “Unorthodox, but I’m sure you can agree from experience that it can be an undertaking to build a province from the ground up.” 

 

The governess lifted up a goblet of wine and took a sip. “Unorthodox. Some would call it radical, your grace.” She said lightly. Her eyes were firmly upon Selena. “There are many that say you have grown too attached to your animals, though I’ve divorced myself from many of the politics back in the homeland it is not hard to hear those whispers on the wind. I was curious to lay eyes upon Lyssia for myself to confirm it.” 

 

Selena prickled at being called an animal quite visibly and it drew a smirk from the Governess. “Feisty. Quite a light of rebellion in that one’s eyes.” 

 

This was less than an ideal way to start off the conversation. Of course she would find his practices strange and perhaps even dangerous. After all, she had been the most damaged by the efforts of the Black Rose and his army. She had a vested interest no doubt in what happened in the former nation of Albar. That put him on delicate footing here. Still, she had come in the first place. Which told him either this was a courtesy or she was interested in what he had to say. He had to hope for the latter. 

 

“Let us be honest with each other then, my lady. This human is Princess Selena Albar, and yes her words have helped to shape my policy in Lyssia.” He said firstly. 

 

She scratched her chin. “An interesting find. She does resemble her brother somewhat I’ll admit.” She said. 

 

“You’ve seen my brother? Is he well?” 

 

Virion winced as she spoke out of turn, though he couldn’t exactly blame the question. Idriana’s gaze swept over her again and she shrugged. 

 

“When last I saw him he had surrendered himself to the whims of the Grand General. A very pretty human, pity that Nalista snatched him up for herself. And double the pity the prince took you for himself. I would have enjoyed one of the Albar royals as a plaything.” She said at length. “Ah, he looked so brokenly content, lapping away at the toes of one so grand as the woman that owned him.” 

 

Selena’s eyes flashed at that. “You’re lying, there is no way-” 

 

“Selena, that is enough.” 

 

The human winced at the sharp edge to his tone. The frustration that the prince was feeling welled up to the surface, he hadn’t meant to take that tone with her but he needed to keep this conversation in his control. Or at least steer it somewhere constructive. He could tell Selena had more she wanted to say but there was a time and a place. He couldn’t afford Idriana to just walk out from being insulted. 

 

“You have my sincerest apologies, Governess. I pray you took no offense.” He said. 

 

“Strong willed as well. Ah, I would have enjoyed breaking her of that. Have no fear, your grace, no offense is taken. The words of a human are but air.” The woman said with a shrug. 

 

“Good. Then to continue along this line, yes, I have been making use of her advice. And yes that advice has resulted in more radically well treated humans. However, you don’t strike me as a traditionalist. If you were, you wouldn’t have come here today. Or if you had, you would have been overly supportive that you might be better placed to curry favor with my enemies. Which tells me you can see the practicality in what I do.” Virion said. 

 

The older elf looked down into her goblet and seemed to consider it at length. “You are forthright when you need to be at the very least. Very well. I am not blind to your situation. I am also not blind to whom it is that wishes you offered up as a sacrifice to our enemies to fuel our endless war. One with greater power than you by far.” Her eyes trailed over Virion again at last. 

 

“For now. Greater power for now.” He said. 

 

A laugh met that, the woman shaking her head. “Come now, your grace. You and I know that trading in what might come to pass is less convincing than what already is. With respect, compared to your opponent, you might as well be the same scale as your pet dancing around in her palm. And stand about as much chance against her as that difference suggests.” She said at length. 

 

He didn’t have much he could say to that. She was right of course. It didn’t make the words sit anymore ill with him. Still it didn’t explain why she came out all this way. His golden eyes narrowed as he was clearly waiting for her to get to the point. The larger elf meanwhile was quite clearly enjoying herself, having the prince hanging on her words. Having royalty at her mercy. She was a clever woman, but one with her vices as well. 

 

“I am willing to help you however, your grace. Though no things in life are free.” She said at last. 

 

“Name your price.” He said without hesitation. 

 

“It's quite simple. Marriage.” The governess said with a shrug. 

 

There was dead silence that accompanied that, both from him and from Selena. The pair both gave her equally comical looks that drew a smirk from her. She let out an elegant laugh behind her hand, shaking her head in clear amusement. Marriage. Virion examined it once the surprise wore off and… he could see it. There were not many things he could offer Idriana. If Lyssia fell it made no difference to her, the Grand Duchy’s forces would be met with Nalista’s army long before they could reach Idriana’s land. As well, her province was better secured in general after the invasion by Albar. 

 

What he could offer her however was his royal blood. Due to the matrilineal nature of Elsira at large she would gain Lyssia as her own territory. Which she would be inclined to protect as it would be hers. As well, her children would be related to the royal family. Entitled to all the benefits that would confer. It was a very logical offer. Of course there were some caveats to consider in such an arrangement.  

 

“Let us say that interests me. You would become the governess of Lyssia as well as your own holdings. What fate befalls those I’ve granted some degree of tolerance?” He asked. 

 

“What a first question. What do you think happens, your grace? You only gave them that much because, ostensibly you had no choice with limited resources. Tied to me you would no longer have this issue. As such you would have no reason to pretend that they are even half people.” She said. 

 

Virion gritted his teeth at that. His fingers curled around the armrest of his settee. He could feel his blood bubbling there for some reason he couldn’t rightly pin down. “I see.” He said. 

 

There it was. He had a way out of the trap placed before him. A clear and unambiguous way to escape his fate. If he submitted to marriage to the governess he would be able to stay alive. It was a decision that when he had first come here, he would have made without a second thought. Yet now. When he thought about going and meekly undoing all that he had managed to do… it made him see red. It was her assured way of presenting it. The smug in her voice was palpable really. 

 

“I would like some time to consider such an offer, my lady. I am sure you understand I have a number of things to consider if I am to do that.” He said with a plastic smile. 

 

“Of course, your grace. Though, I wouldn’t advise taking too long. After all, time in your predicament is rather precious.” She remarked as she stood up. “In any event, I believe I’ll retire for the evening. Long trip back home and all that.” 

 

With a bow she sauntered out of the room and left both Virion and Selena to their own devices. There was an absolute silence between them. He could see the gears of her mind working, could see she was feeling despair at the possibility he was going to accept. The prince took a sip from his as yet barely touched wine. It was a fine vintage. About the only thing pleasant that had come out of tonight. 

 

“I’m going to refuse of course.” He said at length. 

 

Selena looked up at him sharply. “It's your way out. Maybe your only way out.” She said simply. 

 

He snorted. “Its *a* way out. Not the only. Admittedly, I would have liked that to go a bit better. However it's not anything I put all my investments in. Besides, if I do, then all humans go right back to being reduced.” 

 

“What happened to practical?” She asked. 

 

“Hmm… perhaps you’ve been more of an influence on me than expected. As well, I rather like the way some of them look at me, like a living savior. Rather strokes the ego you know.” He managed to chuckle despite the disastrous way that had gone. He affected humor for her sake but in reality that had gone about as south as it could have gone. He was in no position to negotiate with her when he lacked control of his own province after all. 

 

There was a moistness around Selena’s eyes as she looked up at him, which she wiped away hurriedly. “Of course it would be for the sake of your ego, that is so very you.” She managed to get out, though at the least there was a smile on her lips now. 

 

For some reason, that smile and the sound of levity rather than despair in her voice, made everything worth it.

History by Inwiththebooks
Author's Notes:

Pretty much no size in the next couple of chapters as a fair warning.

After Virion’s refusal to subject himself to his only immediate potential ally, Selena found that he threw himself into his work tenfold. It meant that it was rare enough that she could see him. He had taken to regular meetings with Adalina, the mercenary’s tactical mind of great help in his bid to increase the security of the province. A strange woman really. Strange but helpful to the prince as he worked tirelessly. 

 

Selena more often than not found herself reading, Rytha ordered to tend to her needs while the prince was involved in his endless meetings. The volumes were a mix of Albar writings and also some brought over from Elsira. History books mostly. Elsiran history was a strange affair because while the war with humanity drank up much of it, there were other matters they spoke of. Struggles she had never heard of. Wars against things called the Undying in the frozen north of the Empire, battles against beings that fell from the stars called the Voidsent. 

 

These were not things one would expect to learn about Elsira, but the more Selena read, the more she saw it was like any other nation. One with multiple enemies it had fought and still fought. So she had to wonder, why this insane drive to enslave humanity? Why cross oceans to make it a reality? Why throw millions of their own to their deaths across generations? Her eyes flicked through the vast volume before her and she found few answers beyond it being a divine right. Perhaps that was all the justification they needed. It sat ill with her as an answer. 

 

There was a thump upon the desk nearby as Rytha had brought two more volumes from the library. The green haired woman then waited for a signal from Selena to turn the pages. 

 

“Rytha, would you answer me some questions?” Selena asked. 

 

The elf bowed her head ever so. “Of course, my lady. I am at your service.” 

 

Selena had to wonder sometimes if this grated on her. Being at the beck and call of a shrunken human. If it did, it never showed. Rytha was by far the most professional and loyal woman she had ever seen. Whatever order was given to her she carried it out without protest or flaw. Yet she was an elf. So it was always in the back of her mind that at any point she could do whatever she wanted to Selena. 

 

“Why does the royal family continue the war? The objective to make humanity pay seems long long fulfilled. Those humans that subjugated elves ages ago aren’t alive anymore, the children’s children aren’t alive anymore. It makes no sense to me.” Selena said. 

 

The older elf seemed to consider the question for a few moments, possibly measuring how much to say. “Please, speak freely, I’m not Prince Virion after all. Just his pet.” 

 

The servant inclined her head. “Very well. To a human, that time was ages ago. It was eons and eons ago. Generations of your people have lived and died. Nations have risen and fallen. To you, it is ancient history. We see time in different ways. To us it was not so long ago. Recent enough that we can clearly recall the indignity of our existence. So long as the memory of that indignity remains, it is easy for people to stoke the fires of nationalism and racism. The more we fight, the more are sacrificed in the fires of war. The fingers are not pointed to the leaders that send these people to die, rather to the race they have been taught to hate.” Rytha said at length. 

 

Selena frowned. “That's insanity. It's not justice, that’s just blind hate being manipulated by others.” 

 

“Correct.” The green haired woman said with a nod, catching Selena off guard. “Having an enemy is a powerful thing. Hate is a powerful thing. It can unite a people. Indeed, the national unity of Elsira is strong because of that central goal. To kill, enslave, and dominate the human race. It creates an identity. A feeling of being above something else, elevated. Even the lowest of elf can find comfort in their lot for they are not human. That unity can then be pointed like a sword at your people. Your lands become elven lands, your resources become elven resources, your people become playthings.” The servant continued. “A hard cycle to break for indeed, it becomes so central to the culture that it seems very much like nature. The one truth. The only truth.” 

 

Selena had never really spoken with the elven servant much. Indeed, the tiny princess would admit she was intimidated by the heartachingly beautifully mature elf. Now that she spoke Selena understood that there was a mind behind the servant’s eyes. She never presented what she was saying as being morally right, instead her tone was simply one of a woman that relayed the facts. She even did it without the smug Virion was so fond of showing. 

 

“You are very learned for a servant if you don’t mind my saying.” Selena remarked. 

 

Rytha shrugged. “It was my duty to ensure Prince Virion was raised and educated properly. While I was not his tutor on every subject, I did instruct him on our history and culture. He did not take to the one filled with propaganda well.” She mused with a rueful smile. 

 

“So what is the not propaganda version of history then?” She asked. 

 

The servant scratched her chin and seated herself down at the desk Selena was upon. The table shook beneath Selena a bit as the woman sat down, leaning back in her chair as she seemed to realize it might be best to get comfortable. She realized that she was probably living something her brother would have lived, a lecture from one schooled in Elsiran history. Funny how life worked. She had never really cared much about Elsira until they had been on the doorstep. 

 

“Where to start… I suppose our time in bondage would work. Elves had many different smaller kingdoms far before the enslavement. We mostly know this because the Telvir of the northern territories were the only kingdom to remain independent during this period.” Rytha started. 

 

“The Telvir? I thought all elves were enslaved, least that is what these books have said.” Selena remarked. 

 

“A generalization. The Kingdom of Telvir inhabited the north region of our home continent and were surrounded by mountains. They have long been locked in a war against the Undying, ancient creatures from beneath the earth. It made them very well equipped and trained to deal with any human invasions. Even today they are mostly isolated from wider Elsira. A Telvir Elf will say they are of Telvir before saying they are Elsiran. A point of some contention among the empire.They care little to nothing about the war with humanity. To them it is a petty squabble. Most Telvir elves I've met haven't seen a human until they enter wider Elsira.” Rytha explained. 

 

Selena digested that. It was rather at odds with her image of a united elven race. Then again, she supposed every nation had different groups under it. Even one like Elsira. It was interesting to consider even if it didn’t directly affect her situation right now. 

 

“In any event, due to most of the elven race being fairly isolated from one another and not particularly being schooled in the ways of war it was easy enough to conquer us. Furthermore, our more robust constitution and strength made us a rather desirable source of labor. Now at this point the details get a bit fuzzy. A bit blending in fact and fiction. It’s said that we gained magic as a blessing from the gods that we might deliver ourselves from centuries of servitude. Others claim it was the result of some discovery of whatever relics remain of the civilization that created the Undying. It's hard to say exactly what happened unfortunately. What we know is that suddenly, every elf became capable of using magic. Well, you can imagine what happened then.” Rytha said at length. 

 

The history was indeed a bit hard to parse fact from fiction there. It had always been a mystery to human scholars as far as she knew where elves got their power from. Evidently it was somewhat unclear to the elves themselves. It was a humanizing thing in a way. She kept that thought to herself as she seated herself down on the desk. Her eyes were upon the green haired servant as Rytha got into her lecture. 

 

“Once the rebellions had begun it was rather impossible to stop them. All around the continent, elves rose up in revolt. There was some extreme violence on both sides. Atrocities that make modern wars look tame. By both elf and human really. Yet enough elves banded together and founded the nation of Elsira. The First Empress of our time was Ristasa Elsira, mother of the current Empress, was a warrior mage that led the empire to its first victories over the human nations of our continent. We allied with Telvir and integrated them in exchange for aid in their war against the Undying. Grand General Nalista was born a couple centuries after the first victories and well. The rest is pretty self explanatory there. The First died in combat in her bid to unite the continent and we have been under the rule of Yilse Elsira ever since. Well, her and the Council.” Rytha said. 

 

Selena scratched her chin. “So where did things switch from freedom fighting to fighting for revenge?” She asked curiously. 

 

“I would say that would be when Councilor Idria came to power. We are speaking of events many many centuries ago. She was one that fanned the flames of hatred as the war was very much not a sure thing by that point. The memories of it were very raw. The practice of reduction was around before her, a means of humiliation against humans. She just made it a national focus.” The green haired woman continued. 

 

“What of the Empress?” Selena asked curiously. “There is a lot of power Idria seems to have after all.” 

 

Rytha allowed herself a rueful smile. “Her Grace has often joked in private that she is the Chairwarmer of Elsira. In theory, the Empress has ultimate authority over the nation. However, her grace is a very domestic minded woman. Which means she prefers to look within rather than without for the nation. While she is not opposed to the practices of what is done to your people, she was against expanding to this continent. The Council meanwhile are all extremely powerful mages and all very much in line with Idria’s thinking. The people by and large fall behind Idria’s thinking as well due to the centuries of propaganda. You can now see why his grace is in such a dangerous situation. Even if his mother wished to help him, the Council has far too much power. They have put many checks on her ability to act. In practice, Idria is the Empress of Elsira. Not Yilse. It has been this way for some time.” 

 

Selena was quiet for a goodly while. That was a lot of history and politics to digest. It also rather gave her a good idea indeed of how they were where they were. Virion wasn’t exactly one that seemed to like Idria and her methods. It was easy to see how he had been caught in the crosshairs. This was after all the work of a woman so devoted to a single purpose she would sacrifice her own kind by the thousands to see it continued. 

 

Rytha leaned back in her chair and let out a long breath, lifting up a nearby pitcher of water and pouring herself out a cup. No doubt parched from all the long explanations. Selena was surprised she had indulged her so much. The woman was dutiful sure, but she had no reason to indulge Selena that much. She was just Virion’s slave after all. Not a person, just something she had to ensure was taken care of. 

 

“I serve Prince Virion first and foremost.” She said, as though reading her mind. “Prince Virion values you, human or no. He also enjoys your company a good deal. In the capital, it was rare to see him smile much. The hopeless uphill battle to change people’s thoughts on the war affected him much. You have made him quite happy. Though I’d personally say you could stand to make him happier, I won’t push on that.” The woman said. 

 

“Happier…?” Selena cocked her head, not really getting what she was driving at. 

 

Rytha chuckled and shook her head. “My, you are quite virginal. I am referring to sexually satisfying his needs. Your size is quite ideal for his tastes after all. I am of course capable of fulfilling those urges and do so gladly, but well. I am his servant. Not his lover.”

 

Oh. That was what she’d meant. Selena flushed brilliantly as she averted her gaze a bit. Her face was still hot from remembering when she’s gone crawling through Virion’s robe. When she’d run her fingers along his length. Felt the blood rushing beneath it. Gods it made her feel things she was scared to feel deep inside her. She swallowed hard and forced herself to look up at Rytha. 

 

“C-could you… I mean… well…” She stuttered. “Could you… maybe teach me how to do things he might… like that way?” Selena asked, her voice a squeak by the end. 

 

The green haired woman leaned forward and smirked. “Absolutely. Ah, I think there might be a good book with some pictures around here…” She mused as she got up to go searching, Selena suddenly not sure if she wouldn’t just die of embarrassment.

Strategy by Inwiththebooks

“It won’t work, prince. Absolutely unfeasible. Five thousand men cannot hold a whole border that wide. Won’t matter how many weapons we have if we’re swarmed before we get a chance to deploy them.” 

 

“You should take a more respectful tone with his grace, you classless cur!” 

 

“Oh? What tone would that be? A tone that says excuse me, prince, I’d like to work the shaft before rejecting your proposal? I shall leave that to you, my good lady.” 

 

“You should have been reduced the second you entered Lyssia, woman. I’d have it done myself were I in charge.”

 

“Let us thank the gods you aren’t yes? Would be a waste of my talents I’d say.” 

 

Virion let out a long sigh. This was not the first time he had seen this happen in recent days. Around the long table before him were two figures. One a very tall redheaded elven woman dressed in the vestments of a battlemage, her clothes bearing many eagle designs as well that marked her as a retainer of the Royal Family. Lady-Captain Vinia Lasren, head of his royal guard and de facto military commander of the occupation force in Lyssia. Across from her, with her boots up on the table and her hands behind her head, was Adalina. The woman was smirking at the barely restrained anger on Vinia. She did so enjoy pricking at it. 

 

“Enough. Captain Lasren, we have had enough of these meetings in the past few days to where I’m used to Adalina’s tongue. As for you, Colonel. Captain Lasren is a veteran of a number of campaigns. Please try to treat her as your peer in matters of the military.” Virion said. It was like herding children sometimes. 

 

The Captain sighed and inclined her head to him. Adalina shrugged and took a drag of the long pipe she tended to bring to these. With his refusal to marry Governess Idriana, Virion had needed to seriously consider the possibility there would be a struggle against a superior enemy to the south. The Duchy could absolutely defeat them. That was what he had learned so far. They could win extremely convincingly as well. 

 

“Perhaps, your grace, it would be wise to reconsider the Governess’s offer? I understand it stings your pride but. I can protect you from many things, as vast a force as lies to the south I cannot do. We simply do not have the forces even with the Iron Hands. I would also hesitate to suggest drafting our humans. They would as like raise a blade against us after all. Gratitude for liberation only goes so far.” Vinia suggested. 

 

Virion sighed and leaned back in his chair. He regarded the map before him. There were pieces representing their ramshackle forces on the border and vastly more in the Duchy. Virion was not a tactical genius. In fact he was a terrible player in any games of strategy around. The prince was a man that knew people, understood politics, but he was not a military commander. Not even close. 

 

His dark slender fingers gripped one of the pieces representing the duchy. The pieces had been used by Albar evidently. A knight was mounted atop a strange reptile creature. Wyverns they were called. Their greatest knights rode atop them and flew down into battle. War machines used by Albar to fight them were still around, but there was a lack of trained people to use them. Supposedly the Grand Duke himself rode atop the back of a dragon, an ancient and vast beast that could breathe fire and melt armor and flesh. 

 

“I will not marry that woman. She would undo all my work. That would be a move Councilor Idria would just adore to have me removed as a thorn.” In fact he could believe that Idria had planted the idea in Idriana’s head. Her trap was immaculate as ever. It was pity such a truly brilliant woman was so utterly vile on the inside. 

 

“I’m all for telling noble blue bloods where to stick their plans and marriages, prince, but let me tell you. Duchy Wyverns are no joking matter. The Empire failed to retake the Duchy for many years now because of those wyverns and the dragon of the Grand Duke. Your Grand General could probably defeat them on the field, but we rather lack her and her army. They are able to fly over arrow volleys, hitting them with our weapons is tricky as well. Takes an incredibly good shot to hit something in the air moving fast. Nura weaponry can dominate the ground, but the air is another matter entirely.” Adalina said, her expression schooled into a serious one for once. 

 

“While I can’t speak to these wyverns, I can speak to numbers. And whatever else people might tell you, numbers win wars.” Vinia said. “You can be the most brilliant general alive, but without the numbers… well. The Black Rose is an example. He could win plenty of battles, but that was because he avoided confronting the main army of the Grand General. The enemy controls the skies so that would be borderline impossible here. As well, the rebels are working with the Duchy.” 

 

Virion sighed. “Starting to wish Nalista had left the Black Rose here as well, supposedly he was every bit her match after all.” He lamented. “Well, no hope for that.” 

 

Adalina scratched her chin at length. “There is an alternative, prince.” She suggested. 

 

Virion lifted a brow. “Oh? I’m about willing to entertain anything at this point.” 

 

“Glad you say that because I suggest you invite the Grand Duke to speak.” She said. “Now hold a moment, Lady Captain, before you protest allow me to explain. To the Grand Duke, he has likely been working at the bidding of your Councilor yes? How certain are we that the Duke himself is working with your Councilor and that it is not simply those around him?” Adalina asked. “We have convinced ourselves that he is an enemy we cannot negotiate with because you are under the impression that he is the puppet of her correct? Why not speak with him, find out where he stands. See what he might be amenable to. No doubt to him, you are an elven invader. He has no reason to think otherwise after all.”

 

Virion… had not considered that. At all really. In hindsight it was utterly foolish that he had just written off the whole of the Duchy in such a way. After all, thinking logically, why would the Grand Duke walk into something like this? Especially if he knew there were Elsiran hands working in the background. It would be easy to see that those around him could have been under Idria’s sway. For that would be how she would operate. A subtle influence, not outright control over the Duke. 

 

“And where would we meet exactly?” He asked carefully. 

 

“The Grand Duchy itself.” She said simply.

 

There was a bang of hands upon the table as the captain stood up and pointed at Adalina. “You dare suggest we walk the prince directly into a hostile land? I knew it, you are trying to get him killed! My prince, enough poison has been heeded from this one’s lips. Let me teach her the price of forgetting her place.” She hissed. 

 

Virion half agreed with Vinia. It was very dangerous. He would be in unfriendly territory with limited forces. Easy to assassinate. It was incredibly dangerous and if the Grand Duke was working with Idria then he was as good as dead. Adalina wasn’t looking at Vinia, her gaze was squarely on him. She was well aware of how her words could be taken, indeed part of him said to do as Vinia suggested. 

 

“What do you have to lose, prince? Your life? In a month’s time at this rate you might not have that anyway.” The mercenary said. 

 

Virion considered it for a few more moments before nodding. “A fair point. As we’ve discussed at length there is no path to military victory here. We will send word to the Grand Duke and request a meeting at his leisure.” 

 

“Your grace! Please, reconsider, or at the least allow a diplomat to go in your stead!” Vinia protested. 

 

“Nay. It must be me. A diplomat would imply I believe I’m negotiating from a position of strength. I also have a wish to see this man that has a prince of Elsira at his mercy. Also, it is not only my life that would be forfeit should an invasion come in force. I could hardly call myself fit as a leader if I did not accept this risk.” He said. 

 

There was a very severe frown from Vinia at that, while Adalina had a smirk on her lips and nodded to him. The mercenary had many opportunities to betray him since she had been here. Instead she had proved to be an asset. That said he very much suspected her being here was no accident either, Virion highly doubted she could have simply come here without some nods from higher ups in Nura. So there was always that in the back of his mind. Whatever else she was, she was still technically an agent from another nation. 

 

Vinia was the first to speak up. “Very well. However, while I am bound to remain here as regent in your stead, you will have a full escort. An *elven* escort. Also.” Her eyes turned to Adalina. “This one is to accompany you as well. I understand you trust her abilities, your grace, but I would prefer you have some insurance that she isn’t sailing us down a river.” 

 

The Nura Mercenary sighed. “My, so very distrustful, here I thought we were getting on so well, captain. Here I was going to see about painting our nails together. Ah well, truly the mercenary lot in life is to be so unjustly scorned.”

 

“You suffer so, I’m sure. If you end up anywhere near my nails it will be the size of my fingertip with a brush twice your scale.” Vinia said with a sneer. 

 

“Promises promises.” The mercenary said. 

 

To forestall the potential tirade from the Captain, Virion cleared his throat. “Very well, captain. I will consent to your measures. Adalina, I must ask you to accompany me on this outing.” 

 

The human shrugged. “Expected it the moment I suggested it. Is good to have retainers loyal enough to be paranoid for your sake. Besides, might help your case if you have a human nearby walking free.” 

 

Virion sat back in his chair and lifted one of the pieces representing the duchy. He rotated it between his fingers and considered how very far he had strayed from Elsiran tradition already. Now he was going to treat with a human nation. It had never happened officially for most of Elsira’s existence. Certainly it had not been by the hand of a member of the royal family. Adalina had a point however, at this point the only thing he had to lose was his life. His life and the lives of those dear to him. There was nothing he wouldn’t try at this point. Not if it was in the name of defending what he had built.

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=9876