Unyielding Hunger by happiest_in_shadows
Summary:

A young alchemist after a disagreement with his employer finds himself on the run. In his desperation he flees in a forest that's guarded by more then a few dangerous creatures. The most dangerous of them all being a group of massive beast folk. How unlucky is he when he encounters one in less then an hour? Well luckier then he believed. Just a little side note. The violence and vore in this story tend to be again those that asked for it. I wrote this over a few years so I hope readers will forgive as my writing style changes throughout the story.


Categories: Adventure, Body Exploration, Breast Enlargement, Gentle, Mouth Play, Maternal, Violent, Vore Characters: None
Growth: Amazon (7 ft. to 15 ft.), Giant (31 ft. to 50 ft.), Mega (501 ft. to 5279 ft.), Mini GTS (16-30ft)
Shrink: None
Size Roles: F/m
Warnings: Following story may contain inappropriate material for certain audiences
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 48 Completed: Yes Word count: 755169 Read: 252964 Published: May 22 2014 Updated: May 23 2014

1. Chapter 1 by happiest_in_shadows

2. Chapter 2 by happiest_in_shadows

3. Chapter 3 by happiest_in_shadows

4. Chapter 4 by happiest_in_shadows

5. Chapter 5 by happiest_in_shadows

6. Chapter 6 by happiest_in_shadows

7. Chapter 7 by happiest_in_shadows

8. Chapter 8 by happiest_in_shadows

9. Chapter 9 by happiest_in_shadows

10. Chapter 10 by happiest_in_shadows

11. Chapter 11 by happiest_in_shadows

12. Chapter 12 by happiest_in_shadows

13. Chapter 13 by happiest_in_shadows

14. Chapter 14 by happiest_in_shadows

15. Chapter 15 by happiest_in_shadows

16. Chapter 16 by happiest_in_shadows

17. Chapter 17 by happiest_in_shadows

18. Chapter 18 by happiest_in_shadows

19. Chapter 19 by happiest_in_shadows

20. Chapter 20 by happiest_in_shadows

21. Chapter 21 by happiest_in_shadows

22. Chapter 22 by happiest_in_shadows

23. Chapter 23 by happiest_in_shadows

24. Chapter 24 by happiest_in_shadows

25. Chapter 25 by happiest_in_shadows

26. Chapter 26 by happiest_in_shadows

27. Chapter 27 by happiest_in_shadows

28. Chapter 28 by happiest_in_shadows

29. Chapter 29 by happiest_in_shadows

30. Chapter 30 by happiest_in_shadows

31. Chapter 31 by happiest_in_shadows

32. Chapter 32 by happiest_in_shadows

33. Chapter 33 by happiest_in_shadows

34. Chapter 34 by happiest_in_shadows

35. Chapter 35 by happiest_in_shadows

36. Chapter 36 by happiest_in_shadows

37. Chapter 37 by happiest_in_shadows

38. Chapter 38 by happiest_in_shadows

39. Chapter 39 by happiest_in_shadows

40. Chapter 40 by happiest_in_shadows

41. Chapter 41 by happiest_in_shadows

42. Chapter 42 by happiest_in_shadows

43. Chapter 43 by happiest_in_shadows

44. Chapter 44 by happiest_in_shadows

45. Chapter 45 by happiest_in_shadows

46. Chapter 46 by happiest_in_shadows

47. Chapter 47 by happiest_in_shadows

48. Chapter 48 by happiest_in_shadows

Chapter 1 by happiest_in_shadows
Disclaimer: This story is not suited for minors due to violence, strong language and sexual content. If any of these offend you then stop reading now. To those of you who think that's all this story contains though you may want to stop reading as well. This story contains plots, character development and storyline.

Introduction: A young alchemist fleeing from his former employer encounters a small beast girl in the forest. Much to his surprise this little lady turns out to be far more then she seems. Now he must learn of these new people and wonder what they have in store for him as he resides amongst them.

As Joseph sprinted through the forest he cursed the thick underbrush as various vines and thorns snagged bits of his clothing slowing him down. His legs hurt and his throat was dry yet he couldn't stop to refresh himself. He could still hear people pursuing him. He wanted to curse, curse the forest, curse those who chased him, curse his own research and the world in general but he didn't have the breath to speak. He had to focus on escaping for the time being there would be time to be upset later.

“Gralam we need to pull back now! We're already too deep into the forest.”

In response to his subordinates crying out Gralam glanced back. “Do you want to explain to the king why we failed to retrieve the alchemist?”

“Sir you know how dangerous this forest is! If we don't turn around now we won't be returning to the king.”

Normally Gralam would have scolded his subordinate for cowardliness however he felt his men had good reason to be concerned. The forest wasn't exactly a place that welcomed humans. Yet the idea of returning empty handed didn't set well with him either. “We must pursue him for as long as we can!”

In response to this Horlam gave his head a quick shake. He would turn back now if he didn't know the consequences for disobeying a direct order. At the rate they were going though they'd all end up dead and lost in the forest. “Sir the king may be upset but if we continue further we're going to end up dead here anyway.”

At last Horlam's words seemed to register with Gralam and he quickly came to a stop. “Damn it!” It was clear that all his men wanted to stop as Gralam noted how quickly they call came to a stop. “We're not giving up yet however, we need to find another way.”

“What are you talking.” Horlam grew silent as he caught up with Gralam and noted what his superior was referring to. They had come to a rather steep cliff one which armor was ill suited for.

“Come on we can't wait around!”

As Joseph put more distance between himself and his pursuers his pace began to slow down and he took in a deep breath. He had actually used a strengthening potion to allow himself to scale down the cliff quickly so that he would have a little time to breath. He had been on the run for the past three days now after fleeing the service of his patron. It was an unfortunate situation but one that he couldn't help as he seated himself on some exposed roots.

Unfortunately Joseph couldn't relax too much as now that the soldiers were no longer chasing him he was able to remember other dangers. Some rustling leaves and snapping twigs drew his attention however he couldn't see anything. He wasn't trained to survive in the forest and didn't know what to look for anyway.

Running into the forest had been an act of desperation on his part. He couldn't allow himself to be captured for fear of what would happen if he was. He felt certain that death would be preferable over capture so he had chosen the forest feeling confident that no one would pursue him too far within it. However, he didn't particularly want to die either. It had been an act of desperation upon finding no other alternatives. Much to his surprise the soldiers under Gralam had continued to pursue him even within the confines of the forest.

Now he had to continue evading capture while making it through the forest alive. A forest that was known for being exceptionally dangerous and extremely vast to the point that no one was entirely sure how big it was. A forest that was hardly explored and he didn't have any training for wilderness survival.

“I'm so fucking dead.” A sigh escaped Joseph as he placed a hand on his forehead and gave a sigh. At least he had managed to regain his breathe now he could at least begin trying to find his way out of the forest. As he brought himself to a standing position he retrieved a small compass from his bag.

Maria gave a contented sigh as she lay on the massive river rock. The rock had been worn smooth by numerous floods and its dark texture did a wonderful job of soaking up the sun's heat. Her belly was full and all together she was quite content as she stretched out and let herself relax. She'd let herself go when it came to snacking and knew that she'd pay for it later especially if her mother found out given that she'd only recently been allowed to wake up. She couldn't help herself though.

Running water was a good sign at least that's what Joseph had heard. He hoped that it would turn out to be this time as he made his way towards the sound. He could get a drink and get some water for the journey ahead. At least that's what he thought until he came to the edge of the stream and noted the figure laying near the water.

The creature before him currently sported a rather impressive set of claws though only the ones on her hand could be seen. Her mouth was open partly revealing razor sharp perfectly white teeth. For the moment this was all Joseph cared to notice as he once again felt his heart rate speeding up and he was made to remember the stories he'd been told about these beast women. Slowly he took a step back but was made to stop as he noticed the young lady's ears twitching.

It was hard for Joseph to move as he looked at the apparently sleeping figure. From the way her ears twitched he felt certain she could hear him however whether she was awake or not and would remain so was the big question. If she was asleep maybe he could sneak away. She seemed to be asleep that was certain. As Joseph took a moment to examine her more closely something caught his attention.

While her left hand was cleaning the right was stained red and next to that hand were several berries. Immediately his gaze moved to her lips which had the same red tone as her fingers. Joseph didn't need to get any closer to recognize the berries and for a moment he felt himself calming down.

Deaker berries were quite toxic and as far as Joseph knew fatal to anything that might think them a delicious treat. Only certain types of insects could handle the harsh poisons of the plant. From the looks of the situation Joseph was guessing that this young beast girl had eaten a great deal of them. As he calmed down though he was made to realize something else. She was quite young indeed. While he couldn't be certain how big she actually was it was clear to Joseph that this one was no larger then a young human child.

Maria could hear and smell Joseph as he watched her. She chose to remain still out of curiosities wondering just what the human would do. She figured that he would try to sneak away and was debating on giving him a bit of a scare. So she was quite surprised whenever he began to edge towards her though very slowly.

What was he doing? Joseph didn't know the answer to that as he found himself edging closer to the beast girl. He didn't even realize that his hands were reaching for his satchel until he found himself clutching a tiny bottle in his hands and removed it from his back. Cautiously he removed the cap as he edged a few centimeters at a time towards the prone form of the beast girl. As he came closer he noted that her chest was rising and falling indicating that she was still alive but it was very slowly.

It would have been safer to just leave and let the poison take affect. Joseph couldn't do that as he came near the girl's sleeping form and tipped the bottle ever so slightly. He'd heard the stories but he hadn't encountered one of these beast woman before and this one was just a child. The idea of letting a child die of poisoning when he could prevent it just didn't set well with him.

As the human approached Maria prepared herself. If he was going to try to take her head while she was asleep he was in for quite an awakening. The smell of the potion reached her nose before anything that would indicate a weapon though and she remained still. She could hear how close the human had come and smell the potion growing closer. She then felt a few drops of the potion land on her tongue and couldn't hold in her reaction. “Yum!”

Immediately Joseph was made to recoil as the beast girl's eyes flew open and she set up. Instinct took over and he quickly closed the cap on the bottle and took several steps backward. He had just given the young girl a potion to purge the poisons from her system however there was no way it could have taken affect already. She had just been pretending and waiting for him to grow closer. As this thought sunk he once again found himself running.

Maria gave a slight giggle as she noted the humans' response and quickly jumped to her feet. Her padded feet insured there was nearly no sound as she jumped off the rock and began to sprint behind the human. It didn't take her to change from sprinting behind the human to running slightly in front of him. As she caught up to him she couldn't help herself and her lips parted in a rather toothy grin.

Joseph's heart was racing as he tried to put as much distance between himself and the beast girl as he could. Before he could even plan an escape rout though he found the object of his terror running along side of him and giving him a wonderful display of her teeth. The sight was so shocking that he forgot to watch where he was going and his foot caught on a rock.

This was one human that wasn't suited to running in the forest that was clear to Maria. As Joseph began to fall she quickly reached out and took hold of his waste band. It was easy for her to stop his fall despite her smaller volume. Instead of speaking to him though she gave into temptation and gave off a rather loud roar.

The fact that she had caught him didn't even register in Joseph's mind. The moment the roar hit his ears he was moving once again. Instead of running strait though he quickly moved to run into the forest. He was stopped cold though whenever he noted something move over his head and suddenly the beast girl was standing in front of him still grinning widely. A frightened help escaped him and he was made to stumble backwards.

Once again Joseph stumble though this time Maria didn't catch him. Instead as he landed on his back side she took a few steps towards him making sure that the claws on her hands and feet were extended. “Hi there!”

“Gah! Please don't hurt me I wasn't trying to harm you!”

“Hm I know. If you had been you would have been missing an arm by now and maybe a head.” After speaking Maria gave a slight giggle and took another step closer to Joseph.

As Maria moved closer Joseph took in a deep breath and tried to compose himself. “What do you want?”

“Mm oh lots of things really. Right now though I want to know why they're so many humans in the forest.”

“Well I'm, wait you just said many.”

Before another word could be spoken Gralam made his way out of the shrubbery. Immediately his gaze fell upon Maria and his hand took hold of the hilt of his sword. “Step away from the alchemist monster and leave immediately.”

Maria's response was quick and quite amused as she responded to the warrior. “No.”

In response to Maria's response Gralam wasted no time drawing his sword. He had been sent to retrieve the alchemist alive and he wasn't going to let this little beast eat him. Fortunately she was just a child and she was all alone. “This is your last warning monster either you leave now.”

Instead of waiting for Gralam to finish Maria spoke up. “Could we do this some other time? I've already eaten and I really hate to waste food.”

“Kill her!” As Gralam called out several arrows were let loose aimed directly towards Maria's chest.

Maria had a positively massive grin as she more skipped to the side then ran. She then gave the ground a slight push easily accelerating herself beyond the speed of the arrows so that by the time they struck the ground she was standing in front of Gralam looking up at him. “You didn't even have those enchanted and you thought they could hit me!” As she spoke Maria swung her hand upward in a wide arc slamming her claws into Gralam's chest piece.


Searing pain gripped Gralam's chest as Maria's claws impacted with his chest piece. His hand was made to go limp and he looked down towards his chest. What he saw horrified him and he felt his jaw go slack. They were several deep slashes inside of his chest piece and he quickly noted a few bits of crimson seeping out from under his armor. Her claws her sharp enough and arms powerful enough that she'd cut through his armor and even reached the flesh underneath.

Gralam wasn't the only one that could see what had just happened. Joseph had seen it as well and his reaction was instinctive. Turning around he began to sprint down river as he realized his folly. He had saw the beast girl and from her appearance though she was only a child. However, regardless of her age she'd just torn through steal armor with apparently no effort what so ever. He needed to get away as quickly as he could.

“Huh?” In response to Joseph's attempt to flee Maria quickly turned her head in his direction. Moments later her right arm struck out though this time she pressed her palm against Gralam's chest piece. The force of the impact lifted him up and sent him flying three meters before landing again. “Hey wait for me!”

Horlam could only look on as the beast girl chased after the alchemist. He didn't know what was going on but at the moment he didn't care. The moment the beast girl was out of site he quickly made his way over to Gralam and began working on his chest piece. “Help me get this off of him. We have to cover up those wounds and get him out of here before she comes back.” When no hands came to help him Horlam looked towards the others. “Well? What are you waiting for?! Get over here now!” At last the men came to aid him.

It had been Joseph's hope that the beast girl would stay to amuse herself with the soldiers. As he heard her call out though he realized that wasn't going to be the case. In a panic he began to reach into his traveling bag searching for a potion to renew his stamina. It didn't occur to him that while such potions would let him run longer they wouldn't let him run faster and at the moment that was what he needed to do if he wanted to escape. A sharp pain in his waste got his attention as he was suddenly forced to a stop.

Maria couldn't help but grin as she held onto Joseph's waste band once again. “I caught you!”

Instead of continuing his effort to run Joseph grew still and glanced behind himself. Considering what she'd done to armor he could only imagine what this young girl could do to him. “Please let me go I was just trying to help you.”

“Mm promise not to run and I'll let you go.”

While it was Joseph's intent to escape at the moment he didn't see many choices. “I promise I won't try to run away from you anymore. It's not like it'll do me any good anyway.”

“Now you're getting it.” As she spoke Maria released her hold on Joseph's waste band. “So how about telling me why you're in the forest now?”

“I didn't mean any harm I know the forest belongs to your people. I was just hoping to pass through.”

“That can't be the entire story.”

“Well no. As you can tell they are some people pursuing me. I had no choice but attempt to escape through the forest as there was no other path to take.”

Instead of responding right away Maria leaned in closer to Joseph taking in several deep breathes. As she did so she noted his scent and quickly committed it to memory. “There we go.”

“What?”

“Oh I was just memorizing your scent so even if you did sneak away I can track you down now.”

As Joseph listened to this he felt his skin growing cold and he began to sweat. “What are you going to do to me?”

“Hm well I can't eat for a while but I'm kind of bored but you can't run very fast so chasing you around isn't much fun. I suppose I could give you a head start and track you down but from the way you move that'd be too easy as well. Hm how could you amuse me?” For a few moments Maria grew silent allowing Joseph time to think. “I know!”

“What?”

“I'll talk to you and learn more about you.”

Joseph had been preparing to learn that he was going to be used as a scratching post so this was rather welcome news. He didn't feel safe at the moment and would have indeed rather left but given his previous experiences he knew there wasn't anyway he could escape. “What would you like to know.”

“Well why were those people after you for one thing.”

“They work for my former employer we had a divergence of interest.”

“Ah you mean that your employer wanted you to do something you didn't want to do so you ran out. In retaliation your former employer sent those men to retrieve you and you're so scared of what would happen if you got caught you ran into the forest hoping they wouldn't pursue you.”

“Well yes.”

“You're in quite a situation then. Of course there is a chance that group will report that you were killed in the forest which you may very well be. If you aren't though and you can make your way back out you should be able to take a safer rout.”

“If only that was true. I'm sure that he'll want proof that I'm dead.”

“You do have a point. Ah well I'm certain that a mage will be able to identify your bones whenever they come back and retrieve the body.” As Maria looked into Joseph's eyes her lips were made to part so that when she smiled her teeth could be seen.

For a while Joseph had felt certain that at least he would make it through this encounter alive. As he found himself once again looking at those teeth though he grew concerned. “Would you be interested in some other form of trade then my life? You seemed to like the potion an awful lot.”

“Indeed I did after you're dead they'll make quite a refreshing drink. What did you mean by trade for your life though?”

“Do you not intend to kill me?”

“Um nope I can't say that I do.” As she finished speaking Maria gave a slight giggle as stuck her tongue out at Joseph.

“What?!” It was all Joseph could do to keep from collapsing as his ears were filled with laughter moments later. The young beast girl before him no longer able to compose herself was made to topple over with laughter. As she was holding her sides trying to take breath Joseph was trying to contain his anger and fear all at once.

“OH now what is that look for?”

“Is this some type of game to you?”

“Yep! But what's with the tone I should be the one offended. I don't know exactly what type of stories you humans have been spreading about my people but apparently you think we're such monsters we'd repay good will with ill.” As she spoke Maria once again raised herself to a seated position though she was made to chuckle several times.

“What was all that talk about my corpse then?”

“Well from the way you ran and your attire and preparations I'd guess you've spent about as much time in a forest as I've spent in human cities.”

“Well that is. That's true.” As Joseph examined the young beast girl he still didn't feel it was safe to relax. She may very well just been toying with him. “I guess my odds of getting out here aren't very good.”

“Nope.”

“Well thank you for your help back there but even if my odds aren't very good I believe I should get going.” As he spoke Joseph brought himself to a standing position rubbing his sore back side as he did so. As he turned to leave he couldn't help but notice some movement out of the corner of his eye and once again the beast girl was standing in front of him.

“Oh come on now! Are you so scared of me that you're not even considering asking me for help?”

“I well. I don't know anything about you and. You said that you can't eat right now but that doesn't mean you can't eat later and after what you said to the guards.”

“Oh! Stop. Fine you have a point.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she reached up and flicked the tip of her ear a few times. “I'd suggest you go back to where those soldiers were and retrieve anything they might have left behind.”

Maria's speed had been established several times already however Joseph was still amazed when he saw it. The speeds with which she moved easily surpassed that of an arrow so that he didn't have time to say much as she quickly darted back into the forest. He could hear her moving quickly through the trees branches for a few moments and then he found himself once again alone.

***********************************************************************************

Night had set in far more quickly then Joseph had realized that it would. He had hardly had time to set up a small camp and gather enough firewood. At least he thought he had time. In truth the wood had been too damp to burn and he had been forced to resort to a flame potion to get the fire started. The fire wasn't so much to provide warmth though it was a warm summers night. Rather the smoke served to keep awake various pest and animals.

He just wished that the fire was more effective in keeping away the animals though as he could swear he heard things moving all around him. It was making it hard to eat. At least his alchemical training helped him in the forest to an extent. He knew what plants were safe to eat and which ones weren't though he didn't know which ones tasted good. He was finding that out by trial and error and sadly the majority tasted very poorly to him.

He had been lucky in some regards though. He had found a nice clearing to set up camp though the ground was far from comfortable. Absently he reached out to his side and took hold of the hilt of the sword he'd retrieved. Apparently the soldier Maria had injured had dropped the blade. He didn't have any real training in the use of such a weapon but having a weapon in his hands did make him feel a little safer.

“What are you doing sister?” As Mira spoke she kept her voice well below the tones that humans could hear. This posed no problem for her or her sister though as their large ears were quite adept at picking up such sounds.

“Watching the human.”

“You've been doing that all day.”

Maria waited until her sister joined her on an opposing branch. She was being noisy by their standards but it hardly mattered in this situation. The human didn't have any true forest experience and even if he did she doubted he could hear them. “I know I just feel like watching him is all.”

Before responding Mira took in a few breathes of air she then looked at her sister. “Yeah right as if that was your only reason. Blast it Maria you only recently woken up and you're already doing this?”

“It was just a little extra.”

“A little?! Your fingers are saturated in sugar I can smell it and so are your lips. You've been snacking on those berries again.”

Instead of responding Maria bit down on her lower lip and looked away from her sister. “I'll make up for it later it isn't a big deal.”

“You've just been using watching him as an excuse to stay away from home and snack haven't you.”

“No. No I haven't.”

“Yeah right.” A sigh escaped Mira as she lay down on the branch and looked at the human. “He really sure scorch those roots they taste much better that way.”

“I somehow doubt he knows that. Maybe we should go down there and tell him. If we give him some cooking tips he might share.” Maria didn't get to finish as her sister's hand clamped down on her mouth.

“Oh no. You've already eaten enough for today and well into the morning as well.”

“Morning?”

“Yes morning.”

A low groan escaped Maria as she found herself focusing on the human and his dinner even more intently now. “You know I think I've hanged around here enough I'll see you in a bit.”

“No you won't.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“I'm not letting you out of my site. You're still recovering and apparently need heavier supervision then our older sisters thought.”

In response Maria was made to pout and once again lay down on the branch. Absently she reached out and began to cut away bits of leaves with her claws. “So what have you been up to today?”

“I went fishing.”

“All day?”

In response Mira gave a nod. “Yeah I wanted to catch some blue scales enough for a proper dinner.”

“Oh those are delicious! I haven't had then since I woke up maybe we could go get some for breakfast.”

“Sure we can go get some for lunch.”

Instead of responding Maria gave a slight sigh and closed her eyes. “Won't he be in for a surprise in the morning?”

“Yeah, why are you so interested in this human though?”

“He tried to help me earlier and gave me a potion to cure poison. I probably should have told him that I'm immune to any poison found naturally in this forest but it smelt so good.”

“You and your stomach. So what do you intend to do?”

“I'm not really sure sister.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she opened her eyes once again. “I kind of want to take him home with us.”

“He tried to cure you when he thought you was poisoned? That's actually pretty neat no wonder you're interested in him. Humans that would stop to help one of us aren't exactly common.”

“Um sister you do realize that branch won't hold you for much longer right?”

“Yeah. Yeah. I'm moving.”

***********************************************************************************

Sleep had come far too late and morning had come far too early. As Joseph found himself waking up his back was sore and his head hurt. There wasn't much time to think about that though as he noted a sound near by. His heart seemed to skip a beat as he opened his eyes and found out where the noise had been coming from. Roughly ten meters away stood three adult tuskers snorting away and looking directly at him.

It hadn't occurred to Joseph last night but now that he saw the tusker's he realized he'd made a big mistake. Tuskers tended to root up various roots and plants for food as they traveled around the forest. This had two affects. It provided food and it made the areas easier for the animals to travel. Unfortunately it was this leveling that had drawn him to the spot and now he was directly in front of their path.

He didn't know much about the wilderness but even Joseph knew tuskers were bad news. The animals were big, temperamental and as their name implied sported massive tusks that served as natural weapons. The animals had been the death of many unprepared hunters and even some that were prepared. However, Joseph wasn't a hunter in any regards and he was most assuredly not prepared for this encounter.

Maria leaned forward as she watched the events unfolding. The tuskers had actually arrived a short while ago and had been trying to warn Joseph to get out of their path. He had been slow in waking up though and now the animals were quite upset. She doubted that he even recognized the warning signs that the tuskers were getting ready to charge.

As Joseph looked at the animal he didn't know if he should move or wait for them to pass him by. He didn't know that the best thing would have been to slowly stand up and move as far to the side as he could. In the end he was only certain that he should have moved whenever one of the large adults gave a loud squeal and quickly began advancing on his position. Realizing his plight he quickly reached into his bag and drew out a vial tossing it on the ground before him.

The moment the bottle struck the ground a massive blast of light was released as a thunderous boom resounded throughout the area. For a moment the tuskers were made to come to a stop as they shook their heads. Several of them began to dig their hoofs into the ground as their vision was currently blurred.

Joseph took in a deep breath as he stood up. He wanted to frighten the tuskers away knowing full well that he couldn't outrun them. He felt his heart sink though whenever the animals gave an enraged grunt and all moved into a full on charge. The light and sound had only stunned them it hadn't frightened them away and now they were even angrier then what they had been before. He knew he couldn't outrun the animals but he had to try and began to sprint to the side. He didn't have to sprint far though.

Maria's foot connected solidly with the tusker's head as she leaped from the trees and pressed off its skull. The time between her foot striking the first tusker in the head and the second was less then a tenth of a second as she jumped from animal to animal. Despite her small size the force with which she struck the tuskers was enormous and they were sent plowing into the ground. As she struck the last one she made it a point to leap in front of the heard her mouth opened and she let loose a roar that surpassed the bang of the flash potion.

It had happened too quickly for Joseph to follow one second the tuskers had been charging him two seconds later they were on the ground and there was a beast girl between them and him. As she let loose with a roar he covered his ears and was actually made to recoil. Much to his surprise the tuskers didn't continue their charge this time but seemed very concerned as they looked at their new opponent. The animals gave off a squeal quite different from their previous ones and quickly turned in the opposite direction.

“Wow you wouldn't have even made it twenty four hours in here!” As she spoke Maria turned around to face Joseph.

“You?! You were the one I encountered yesterday.”

“Hmmhmm.”

“What? How did you do that?”

“Tuskers are highly aggressive animals I thought even you humans knew that. In order to scare them you can't rely on just loud sounds or images you have to include some pain. Well that or be something they're already terrified of also known as me or one of my sisters.”

“I see. Well thank you but wait were you following me?”

“Well yeah.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she noted the expression on Joseph's face. “It's lucky for you I have been or you'd been torn to bits.”

“Why? Why were you following me?”

It was clear to Maria that Joseph was nervous though she couldn't blame him. He was already rattled by the tuskers. She was glad Mira had decided to stay out of site. “Listen um I just realized I don't know your name. Mine is Maria.”

“I'm well I'm Joseph.”

“Please to meet you. Anyway, Joseph you're going to die if you continue trying to travel through the forest there is no question of that. You went to sleep on a tusker's trail after all. There is no way you're going to get through the forest alive making mistakes like that.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod. “You're probably right but I have to try. Setting down and dieing wouldn't be any better.”

“Actually there is a third option.”

At first Joseph bit down on his lower lip as he looked at Maria. After a few moments he gave a sigh. “What could I possibly pay you though to escort me through this forest?”

“Not that!” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she took a step closer to Joseph. “I can't just escort you through the forest that could be very bad for my people in the long run.”

“How?”

“If we started escorting people through out forest it might inspire more humans to come here hoping to make a similar deal. That would put undo stress on my people and would force drastic action.”

“Then what is this third option you're talking about.”

“How about you come back to my village with me?”

“What?!”

Once again Maria was made to giggle as she noted the chock on Joseph's face. “Come back to my village with me. You said you were an alchemist and we could always make use of a human with such skills. You could earn your keep that way and we'd keep you safe at least until we felt certain.”

“Certain of what?”

“Certain that we could trust you of course.”

“I. I don't know.”

“Hm I'll tell you what. I'll stick around and let you think about my offer at least until I have to save your life again.”

“I take it this time you won't help me unless I agree.”

“Um not exactly.” It was impossible for Maria not to grin.

“Wait what happens the next time you save my life?”

“Mm it'd be better for you to come with me now so that it'll at least be in part on your terms.”

Instead of responding right away Joseph turned away from Maria and began to gather up his belongings. He needed to get out of this path and somewhere safer. “Please tell me what happens the next time you save my life?”

“Ah okay I guess it can't hurt anything except your nerves. The next time I have to save your life I'm going to claim your life.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean just what I said.”

“You mean you'll kill me.”

“Um well that depends on you.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she noted the expression on Joseph's face. “You see from time to time a human with a useful skill will come through the forest and get lost. If one of us steps in and saves them we exercise the right to claim them if we want. That means you come back to our village and work for us. Once we decide you've earned your life back we'll let you go or you can try to escape and we can exercise the right to take away the life you'd lost anyway.”

“I. I've never heard of this.”

“Yeah.” For a moment Maria looked away from Joseph. “It's kind of rare and most don't leave or make it out of the forest at least. So what do you say? How about you come back to my village? You won't be claimed that way and while you'll have to earn your keep you'll be able to leave anytime you want. I believe that it's your best choice.”

“What do you mean by earn my keep though?”

“Oh we have uses for alchemist! You could make medicine, help in food preservation all sort of things really.”

“What. What happens to those humans you save who don't have any useful talents.”

“Ah that type of human just doesn't exist!” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she gave a rather toothy smile. “We can always find a use for people even the old ones.”

While Joseph couldn't be certain he doubted he wanted to know what the other uses were. “You intend to follow me regardless and see if I need to be saved don't you?”

“Yep!”

“What if I don't want saved?”

“Ah well even the claimed have the right to end their own lives if they want to. We'd never take that away from anyone.”

Joseph was more then a little frightened as he noted the expression on Maria's face. He had no reason to doubt what she was saying and she had saved his life. It wasn't likely that he could make it out of the forest on his own with only the supplies he'd brought and indeed she'd saved him twice now. Once when they'd encountered the guards and now from the tuskers. “I. I don't see much of a choice. I can leave whenever I want right?”

“Yep. I would say you can trust me but I doubt that would comfort you so I'll say this. You have no other choice but to trust me. After all try to make it on your own and you're going to end up dead or claimed. At least this way you have more freedom.”

“Is there anything else involved in this?”

“Um well just some common sense rules.”

“I'd like to hear them.”

“Okay but they're really basic things. You know no stealing, trying to harm or kill us, you'll only be allowed into certain areas and you have to do something to earn your keep though they're a variety of choices. I imagine my sisters will want to make use of your alchemical skills though and I'd suggest you go along with their request.”

“I would say that depends on what you want me to make but does it look like I have the tools needed to ply my trade?”

“Hey that's mean!” As she finished speaking Maria's lips parted as she snarled slightly.

Immediately Joseph felt his heart rate quicken as felt he'd made a major mistake. In response he took a step back while holding up his hands. “What? What did I say?”

“Here I am talking to you after saving your life and you still believe we're just dumb animals?! Of course I know you need tools to do your job!” A sight escape Maria as she wrapped her arms around herself and bit down on her lower lip as if trying to contain herself. After a few moments she gave a slight sigh and seemed to relax again. “It's not like we haven't had alchemist in our village before.”

Now Joseph had a pretty good idea as to why Maria had gotten upset. “I apologize I wasn't thinking. I would prefer to be able to leave under my own terms so. I'll come with you.”

“Yay!”

Nearly the moment the words hit his ears Joseph realized they hadn't come from Maria. Rather they had come from above them. Moments later he heard a slight thump and a massive figure landed right beside Maria. While Maria was child sized this new comer was most assuredly not. The being positively dwarfed Maria and even him as it stood up he felt certain that this new comer was somewhere between three and four meters tall.

In response to Mira's landing Maria glanced up at her. “I think you startled him sister.”

A slight giggle escaped Mira as she looked at Joseph. “Sorry about that. Hi I”m Mira, Maria's sister.”

“Um hello what are you?”

“I was just keeping an eye on Maria and making sure she didn't slip up. So you'll be coming back to the village with us then. That's good we've been needing some new alchemist for a while now.”

“Some new?”

“Oh some of our brothers are alchemist! But, they aren't a whole lot of them and well they've been under a lot of pressure. It'll be nice to have another one to lighten the load.”

“Um just what type of alchemy do you expect me to work on by the way? They are different schools of it.”

“My sister told me that you gave her some antidote whenever you thought that she had poisoned herself. Can you make medicines?”

“I well. Is this really happening?”

“Huh?”

“I'm sorry it just seems like a lot is happening to me very quickly. I'm half expecting to wake up and find myself still in that trail.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mira as she shook her head. “You know you could still be asleep but I think it's best if you play along with the dream for now.”

“I. I suppose that you're right. Yeah I can make medicines if that's what you want me to do. If I have the right materials and equipment but from what Maria said I'm certain that you do.”

Now Maria chose to speak up. “Mira you carry him I'll get his stuff. Listen Joseph I know that this is a lot to take in but you're not the first human to end up in this situation. People have tried to escape into these forests before after all and like I said this isn't too rare. You're just one of the few cases that's coming in unclaimed.”

As Joseph had been speaking Mira had moved over to him. “Come on and climb onto my back, make sure you hold on tight.”

“Why are you going to carry me?”

“Um it'd take you more then a day to make it to our home. We really don't want to have to wait on you that long and besides I'm hungry.”

“Hey no fair Mira. You're going to eat in front of me when we get home?”

“You're the one that didn't watch herself I'm doing just fine. Come on Joseph just hop onto my back and wrap your arms and legs around me. You can't hurt me.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod and placed his arms around Mira's neck who had been nice enough to bend down. As she began to stand back up he wrapped his legs around her. “Is this okay?”

“Hold on tighter, tighter, tighter okay that should do it. You ready Maria?”

“Sure thing.”

As Joseph held onto Mira he was suddenly made to tighten his hold on her. He had expected her to start running instead she'd leaped onto a near by tree branch and taken off like an arrow. The speed with which she moved was astounding as she leaped from tree to tree and he was suddenly made to realize why she'd told him to tighten his hold so much. It was so that he wouldn't fall off the moment she jumped into the trees of course now that she was moving he was holding on even tighter. Despite the speeds Mira was moving at though he was surprised to see Maria out in front.

It was easy for Maria to out pace Mira and she could have easily left her sister waiting in the tree tops. She was moving slow though as she knew she'd be in trouble if she lost her sister and went after a little snack. “So Joseph before we arrive do you have anymore questions?”

“Um I suppose.” It was hard for Joseph to think as he held onto Mira. Her pace had evened out so he wasn't having to strain himself anymore but that didn't change the fact that she was still moving far more quickly then he'd traveled in a long time. “This isn't just some cruel game you play with people that get lost in the forest is it?”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she slowed down a bit. “That's a good question! Now let me ask you a question in response. Does it matter?”

“I suppose not.”

As Mira spoke she glanced over her shoulder at Joseph. “At least you can take comfort in the fact that you're no worse off with us then you'd be without. Just try to relax and enjoy the ride.”

“Yeah about that. Is there any chance I could get some aid making my way out of this forest alive?”

Mira chose to turn her attention back to what was in front of her even as she spoke to Joseph. “Sure you could if you can earn it.”

“How do I do that?”

“We have to trust you enough.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he nodded his head. “I have to say you're not behaving like I always heard about.”

To this Maria spoke up. “Most humans only see what I showed you at the stream. You get to see something else because you're coming along with us.”

It was hard for Joseph to follow Mira and especially Maria's movements even as they moved through the trees. The speed with which the two ladies moved was absolutely astounding. Still he could feel Mira's movements. She was constantly twitching, shifting from one side to the other or take slight steps. Occasionally she'd seem to jump over something. He guessed that she was evading various branches and twigs but surely she couldn't be evading them all. “Is there any particular reason you two travel through the trees.”

To this Maria answered. “It's more fun.”

“What? That is it?”

“Well yeah. We can travel on the ground if you're uncomfortable.”

“Um I'm kind of worrying about falling.”

“OH you'd need to worry about that even on the ground.”

“Why is that?”

“If you were to come to a sudden stop at the speeds we're moving now you'd probably end up dead anyway.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she glanced back at Joseph and noted the expression on his face. “If you were to let go of Mira at least we'd have time to catch you way up here and possibly slow your fall without outright stopping it.”

“Um is there any chance we could slow it down a bit?”

“Sorry Joseph but it's going to take us a while to get back home even moving at these speeds and we are in a hurry.”

***********************************************************************************

Joseph felt ill as he leaned against the wall. He had been okay for a while but after so many changes in direction and speed he'd been shaken up a bit. He wasn't so out of it that he wasn't surprised though. When Maria had said take him to their home he expected a cave or some natural feature. What he found was a a structure made from several small branches skillfully lashed together to form what felt to him a very sturdy wall. The roof was covered by thick leaves and he actually found the temperature inside and outside noticeably different. “Mar, Maria I have to ask. Was all that trip and speed just to make sure I couldn't lead anyone here.”

“Hey you figured it out!” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Yeah that was actually the reason we had to move so quickly.”

“I'm. I'm going to be sick. Did you really have to move that fast?”

“Here drink this.”

Joseph was surprised to find Mira standing in front of him holding a cup of water. After a moments hesitation he took it from her and took a few sips. He was a bit surprised when he found out it wasn't water. “What is this?”

“Just some juice to help quiet your stomach.”

“It's sweet.”

“Yeah we like it more then water. Okay Maria I'm going to go further in and let everyone know what you brought back. I don't want to find you snacking whenever I come back.”

“Oh yeah I'm really going to start snacking whenever you're probably going to bring mother back with you. I wonder where she is anyway.”

“Probably out hunting I'll see you in just a bit sister.”

As Mira departed Maria turned to Joseph. “Come on in and have a seat. Feel free to ask anything you want.”

“Um well if you don't mind. Just where am I going to work?”

“Well starting out you're going to have to work outside of town don't worry we have a hut set up for that. You're going to be randomly supervised and no you won't know whenever you're being watched we have to be careful after all.”

“Why outside of town?”

“Um well. It hasn't occurred within my waking time but a few of the alchemist we brought in decided to try to escape. One of the methods they used in this is a decoy and that included blowing up their shop. Naturally we weren't too amused whenever the building was blown to a thousand bits.”

“I guess they didn't make it out very well.”

“No. We couldn't just let that slide.”

“Maria they're is a lot of talk from people that have come here about the members of their party being taken and eaten is that true.”

“Some of it!”

“How? How can you say it like that?!”

“What's wrong with how my daughter speaks?” As Flora entered the room she could feel the tips of her ears brush against the door frame. The massive woman stood a solid four meters tall making both her daughters seem small especially Maria. So that as she approached Maria and Joseph she bent at her knees bringing herself closer to their level though not all the way.

“I didn't mean any offense.” As Joseph spoke he was amazed by what stood before him. Apparently Maria was young indeed if this was her mother.

In response Flora gave a slight shrug and reached a massive hand out towards Joseph. “Now there is no need for you to be this uncomfortable around me or my daughters. Mira told me about the little arrangement you worked out with Maria. We'd be glad to set you up and let you stay here for a while until you're better prepared to leave.”

“Um thank you.”

“You're welcome. However I'm going to have to ask before you go to judging us you take some time and think about what Maria tells you. You seem to automatically assume all the people that have gone missing in this forest have died by our hands or ended up as food.”

“Well you do have a point there but is it true you eat people?”

“Of course! Meat is meat after all. It isn't like human flesh poses a serious threat to us so why let it go to waste?”

“But that's.”

“You humans are just so picky about what happens to your body after death. What difference does it make if something large eats your body once you're no longer using it versus something small eating it? Either way you're going to end up food for something.”

“That is true but those smaller things don't tend to be intelligent.”

“That just means that can't appreciate the flavor!” As she finished speaking Flora opened her mouth revealing a massive set of razor sharp teeth. She felt Joseph immediately recoil but she held him steady as her tongue flicked out of her mouth and pressed against his face covering a good portion of it as she gave him a quick lick. “Hey you taste better then normal!”

Joseph was far more then alarmed as he looked up at Flora his gaze occasionally shifting to the hand that had held him steady. For a moment he had started to relax around her but that had been shattered in an instant. Now he felt his heart pounding against the inside of his chest and if it hadn't been for the fact that Flora's hand was still on his shoulder he'd been going for the door. He was thus very surprised when he was able to speak. “Please don't do that again.”

“Ah why not?”

“I don't like being tasted by women I don't know.”

Now it was Flora's turn to be surprised though that surprise soon turned into a wide grin. “Ah is that it? I guess I'll restrain myself then after all now I have your scent well enough.”

It was impossible for Joseph not to feel relieved whenever Flora removed her hand from his shoulder. “Thanks so what now?”

“Right now I imagine you're rather hungry so how about breakfast? After that we can discuss what you'll be doing. It's kind of unusual that people are brought in unclaimed though not entirely unheard of.”

“So what Maria told me was true?”

“Probably but what did she tell you just to be sure.”

“That I'd be better off coming in of my own choosing rather then waiting until she had to save me again.”

“Mm it depends on what you consider better off.” A slight giggle escaped Flora as she looked at her daughter. “Don't worry about it too much though. Anyway as you're not claimed you can leave whenever you want. Now come on and I'll prepare you something to eat.”

“You?”

“Well of course my daughter brought you in but you're my guest.”

***********************************************************************************

Currently Joseph found himself setting at a massive stone that served as the dining room table. The surface and sides of it had been worn smooth and it formed a nice circle. They were various areas around the stone clearly meant for people of various heights. Flora set at one of the sunken in areas while Mira seemed to be on the portion of the ground one might call level. Both he and Maria currently set at a raised section.

Setting in the center of the table was various bits of fruits and vegetables some even he didn't recognize. There was also several bits of seared meat and fish. Flora had assured him that the food was safe for him to eat but he found it hard to do. It wasn't because he wasn't hungry and it wasn't really due to worrying about taste. He just felt strange that Maria wasn't allowed to eat anything right now. Something she was clearly resenting.

Maria couldn't help but glare at Mira as she watched her and her mother lightly snacking on the food before them. She had violated her probation and eaten more then she was suppose to. It wasn't like she'd eaten that much more. “Can't I have a little something to eat? I'm hungry!”

In response Flora lightly shook her head. “No Maria you know the rules. You're going to have to wait until lunch time then you can eat again. Joseph don't let Maria's sour mood ruin your meal she knows the rules.”

“Um okay sure.” As he spoke Joseph took hold of what he recognized as an apple and lightly bit into the fruit. “So we were going to talk about what I was going to be doing?”

To this Flora nodded. “Yes. Mira already told me that you were an alchemist when she went to find me. However, is there any particular type of alchemy you specialize in?”

“Well yes. I'm primarily trained in recovery potions and well temporary modifications to the body. Flora may I ask you something?”

“Certainly you're more of a guest then anything else after all.”

“Should I be afraid or not?”

A slight giggle escaped Flora as she lightly tapped the table. “That is an interesting question. Well I don't have any intentions of harming you if you must really know. You could always give me a reason to harm you and in that instance I would but so long as you don't do that I don't see why you should be scared.”

“I guess that's good. It's just that all of this seems quite sudden.”

In response to this Flora gave a slight nod. “I've heard as much from others. What would treating you poorly benefit us though? You know you're not in a situation where fighting us would be a good idea and you're more useful in one healthy peace rather in several peaces or damaged.”

“Your people have done this a lot haven't they?”

“I'm not sure what you would define as a lot so I can't really answer that with certainty.”

“I see. Maria mentioned that I might be able to get some help making my way out of the forest after I've worked it off. Could you tell me more about that?”

In response Flora gave a nod. “Yes I can but you might have misunderstood her. I can't quote you an amount of work or time at which we'd be willing to help you leave the forest. Some of us might decide to help you and if enough of us agree we'll help you in that case. However, I can't tell you what might make us decide to do that. Most people we bring in never actually leave this village or the forest alive.”

“What?!”

“Oh now Joseph don't look at me like that. It reminds me of a deer and that makes your throat look tempting.” Once again Flora gave a slight chuckle clearly amused with Joseph's response. “It isn't our fault that few of them make it out. You see even the claimed can work off their debt but that doesn't mean we're going to help them leave.”

“So what happens?”

“They try to leave unprepared we have to save them and they end up claimed again.”

In response to this Joseph felt his skin growing cold. He hadn't stopped to think about that. He might have came into the village unclaimed and thus he could leave but the odds were leaving just meant coming back claimed. “I see.”

“Most aren't exactly happy whenever this happens but they were the ones that chose to leave and we could have just let them die.”

“So is there a difference between being claimed and unclaimed?”

“Oh yes indeed there are several! You for example aren't trying to repay us for saving your life. That means you only have to work to earn your shelter and food so you've got much more free time. You can spend that free time doing whatever you want as long as you stay away from the restricted areas. You can even spend that time figuring out a way to get out of the forest.”

“Well that's comforting. When will I be expected to begin working?”

“You can begin today if you like or you can stay here for a few nights. That should be plenty of time for you to think your situation over and decide on what you really want to do. Keep in mind you are free to leave whenever you want and as long as you can get out of the forest without putting yourself in a situation where you would surely die you can leave.”

“So do you save everyone that chooses to leave if they get in such a situation?”

“No. We're not everywhere after all. At times one of us will go to track down someone that left only to find a corpse.”

To this Joseph gave a slight nod. “I suppose I should just settle in. I burned through a lot of the potions I had planned to use in my escape just running from the guards.”

“You have some potions still on you?”

“Yeah. Some healing salves, general purpose antidotes and some restorative potions.”

“Would you be willing to part with them?”

“Huh?”

“Would you be willing to part with them? I can't offer you safe passage out of the forest for them regardless of how many you had but maybe we could work out some kind of deal.”

It was impossible for Joseph to hide his surprise as he looked at Flora. Whether or not she was serious or just playing around he needed to get some more information. “I'm sorry I'd like to keep them for when I attempt to leave.”

“That's fine.” A sigh escaped Flora as she looked at the food on the table. Slowly her right hand came and pressed against her stomach. “I need to step out for a few. I've eaten all that I can allow. How about you Mira?”

“Yeah I guess we brought out a bit much.”

To this Flora nodded. “Maria come with me.”

“But?!”

“No buts young lady. Remember you have to wait until lunch before you're allowed to eat again.”

As Maria stood up she couldn't help but grimace. “This is just no fun at all. You even put out extra food more then the two of you were going to eat and now you're telling me I can't even have some of the leftovers.”

“Joseph eat your fill then come on out and we can continue this conversation if you want.”

“I um sure.” As Joseph watched the three women leave he couldn't help but be curious about what was going on. Several times now he'd heard the women mention a limit to how much they were permitted to eat.

***********************************************************************************

As Joseph walked along behind Maria he found himself looking up towards the sky. The tree coverage was thick, thick to the point that nothing flying above would know what was going on below them. It wasn't surprising that his current location hadn't been found. His thoughts were taken from such things as Maria spoke up.

“Joseph you know my mother meant it when she said you didn't have to start work right away.”

“I believe her. I just want to see what I have to work with though.”

“Um well you might be a bit disappointed at first.”

“How come?”

“Oh you'll see.”

Instead of questioning Maria more Joseph gave a slight shrug. One thing he had noticed was that Maria seemed to be leading him away from the village. Flora had told him that the work area was kept outside of the village so this wasn't too surprising. It was a good twenty five minutes before they finally arrived at a sturdy structure.

The building was a far cry from Maria's home. The building was made of rather heavy timber that had been tightly notched together so that there was no visible opening. Even from the outside the walls looked quite thick and this was confirmed as Maria opened the door revealing just how heavy it truly was. He didn't have time to ask anything though as Maria spoke up.

“No we're not going to lock you in. It's just some things are kept in here we'd rather not go missing.”

“Ah I see. Well that's comforting to know. So just what is in?” Joseph didn't finish speaking as he looked inside. Cupboards and shelves lined the walls while in the center of the room there was a heavy table. In many of the shelves he noted flask and various instruments of different size and quality. What really caught his attention though was one cupboard in particular. It was clearly heavier then the other and had a small glass panel for someone to look inside. The tiny funnel leading into the wall immediately told him it was a ventilation chamber for some of the more dangerous projects.

One thing was missing from the room though. He didn't see a single re-agent. “Um Maria the equipment is nice but.”

“You don't have a thing to work with!”

“Well um yeah.”

“Safety measure.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria. “You have to tell me what you want and I'll go and retrieve it. Of course before I go and get anything I'm going to go tell the others what you asked me to bring to you.”

Immediately Joseph realized what was going on and he was made to sigh. “You don't give trust easily do you?”

“Not that easily. Like my mother said though we've learned from past mistakes about alchemist and mages. So you'll have to forgive us if we're a little careful about what we trust you with.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod. “This is going to slow down my work you do realize.”

“Don't worry about it too much. So what do you want me to go and get you?” As she spoke Maria retrieve a peace of paper from a drawer, some ink and a quail pin which she placed before Joseph.

“Are you sure you'll know what to search for?”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “I'm pretty certain and if I slip up I can always go out again. It's not like I'm going to be going far after all. The first place I'll go to is the alchemical supply storage vault. If you ask for something that isn't there I'll just head out into the forest it shouldn't take me long to track whatever it is down. Besides those at the vault should be able to identify anything that I don't recognize and tell me where to go.”

“You're quite confident in your hunting ability.”

“It's the nose.”

“Huh?”

“I can find most things in the forest just by smell. We actually learn our family members by their scent long before we can see.”

“Just how good are you eyes then?”

“I'm not sure how you humans rate your eyes but I know that my eyes are better then yours.”

“Extremely sharp hearing, eye site and smell you're pretty well equipped to monitor your surroundings.”

“We have to be or we'd be constantly smacking into things while we were running. That'd hardly make for a stealthy approach.” As she was speaking Maria tried to look over Joseph's shoulder to see what he was writing. To her frustration she found that she was too short. “Um Joseph could you keep the list kind of short.”

“Huh?”

“Um well I'm confident in my ability to find what I want in the forest but. If the list is too long and I can't find the items I might miss out of lunch or might have to eat it late and well I didn't get dinner yesterday or breakfast today and I was already hungry yesterday.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod. “Okay. Well this should let me get started.” As Joseph spoke he handed Maria the list, he'd written down common names for the plants, their alchemical name and a brief description.

“K I'll be back in just a few with what you have down.”

Joseph waited after Maria had slipped out the door and shut it behind her to stand up. He then began to make his way around the room taking his time to search in far greater detail then when he'd entered. At the moment he wasn't looking for a means of departure rather he wanted to know where the various items had came from. So that he began to search through the various items.

The mortars and pestles were the first thing he began checking through. As he looked on the bottom of the mortars he was a bit surprised by what he found. They were indeed branded so that anyone finding them would have an idea of who the maker was. However, he didn't recognize the symbol and he felt certain he knew the symbols of all the quality makers of alchemical supplies in the region.

Normally this would mean that the maker produced items of such low quality they weren't worth noticing. However, such producers rarely marked their work to begin with. These were of good quality though far too good not to be marked. There was also the chance that they were simply quite old having been obtained a long time ago but that didn't seem likely either. If they were being actively used they shouldn't be in such good condition.

After a moment Joseph gave a sigh and ceased his inspections of the mortars. Instead he found himself searching the various flasks and stands. Once again he found the mark but was dismayed. The mark was exactly the same as the ones that was found on the mortars. Whomever had crafted the mortars had clearly done the same for the flasks and stands that held them.

Several minutes later and Joseph had found a very noticeable trend. Everything that had been marked had the exact same mark. This was very unusual. Normally it was rare that the same maker that made the glass would also refine and fire the clay. If he was going to go by the marks though that was exactly the case and sadly the mark was unknown to him.

“OH that is disappointing.”

Immediately Joseph felt his heart quicken as he turned to the door and found Maria standing there. “What is?”

“I had hoped you would have set up your equipment before I got back.” As she spoke Maria proceeded in the room and used her free hand to shut the door. “Ah well! I have what you asked me for right here.”

In response Joseph gave a nod. As he began to walk towards Maria though he noticed something different. She was wearing a golden necklace with a bright red jewel in the center. After a moment of inspection he couldn't help but notice it seemed to be glowing. As he took the crate she was holding from her he also noticed that she was wearing a similar ban on her wrists and even on her ankles. Why had she put them on?

“I hope you don't mind but I'm going to be watching you this time.”

“I thought the inspections were random.”

“Oh they are I won't be with you all the time. It's just simpler if I hang around this time.” As she spoke Maria made her way to one of the empty tables and gave a slight hop jumping up onto it and seating herself. “I hope you don't mind.”

“Na that's okay.” As he spoke Joseph busied himself removing the various plants and reagents from the crate. “Maria I hope you don't mind me asking but. Where did all these instruments come from?”

“From the shop.”

“The shop?”

“I'm sorry but we don't have a special name for it. It's where our brothers store the manufactured goods. What section of the shop is decided by value.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod. He was actually surprised to learn that Maria's people produced these materials. He didn't think they had a form of manufacturing of their own. “Well then. I'll just get to work then.”

***********************************************************************************

How big was the town? Joseph hadn't managed to find the answer to that though he hadn't asked. He had seen some other buildings and Maria had spoken of various places that he hadn't seen. He wasn't allowed down certain paths though so he couldn't find out on his own. At least not without putting his life at risk. A sigh escaped him as he arrived at what he'd come to know as his work shop and pushed on the door.

He'd been there a few weeks now and Maria had stopped setting in on him. Though he did see her every day whenever he'd leave and often enough whenever he walked to work. Even when he didn't see her though he didn't know if she wasn't near by. Her ability to keep herself hidden was quite remarkable as he'd learned the first time he'd walked to the shop alone.

She'd had been there waiting for him with the door open. He'd asked her why she hadn't walked there with him only to have her tell him she was with him the entire journey. She'd just been keeping a low profile. Why hadn't she let him know she was there? These women apparently had several strange habits. One in particular he'd taken note of was the wrist and ankle bands as well as necklaces they'd wear at times.

This he had actually asked Maria about whenever she'd arrived one day to walk him back without the bands on. She had only told him that she couldn't explain what the bands wear for and that was something he'd have to wait until later to learn about. That is if he stuck around long enough to learn and earned enough trust.

A sigh escaped him as he shook his head. He didn't like their ideal of trust it was entirely one sided. He had to trust them entirely at the moment. Even though they said he could leave when he wanted he had learned that was only a limited truth. If one of them had to save him he would be coming back in a short while as property. It wasn't a pleasant thought to him. Despite those thoughts he was surprised whenever he pushed open his work shop door.

Joseph immediately grew concerned at what he found. While before the shelves had only contained the instruments he had needed now they contained several plant species many he recognized as being rather costly. What was even more shocking was that many of them weren't used in the making of healing potions at least not the type of potions he'd been making to earn his keep. A good many of them had far different uses.

“Surprise!”

It felt as if Joseph's heart had leaped into his throat as he was made to jump forward. In his haste though he lost his footing before he could fall forward though he felt something grasp his waste band.

“Careful.”

“What?” As the hand released him Joseph turned around to find Maria who was currently setting in a squatted position. “Maria what is going on?”

“Like I said congratulations!”

“For what?”

“For earning some of our trust of course! We've been keeping an eye on you and it was decided that it's safe to give you a supply of alchemical items all your own so last night my sisters and I stocked the shelves for you.”

“Why though? All I've been doing is preparing regular potions.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she stood up and walked past Joseph into the lab. She then proceeded over to the table that she'd been using as a seat for her visits and climbed up onto it. “You've been honest with us. Most try to sneak in some extras that they don't actually need. That or they ask for more then they need and try to keep some potions for themselves. You didn't do that though.”

“I see but actually now that you mention it. Could I use some of these to make potions for myself?”

“Sure! We don't mind as long as we feel we're getting something of equal value in return. Honestly you've been working so diligently that you've earned far more then your keep. Of course this leads us to believe you're still scared of us.”

“I would be lying if I didn't say you made me nervous.” As Joseph looked at Maria he couldn't help but think something was different. Unfortunately upon finding out he couldn't keep it in. “Your toes are touching the ground!”

“Huh?” In response Maria glanced down at her feet. Currently her legs were hanging over the desk and her feet were pointed strait down. Indeed her big toe was touching the floor. “So it is.”

“You couldn't do that when I first came here. You've grown?!”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she nodded her head. “You're an observant one! Yes I have.”

“Just how fast does your species grow?”

“Ah that's kind of variable and I can't say more then that.”

“But.”

“Nope. No point in asking.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. Already five major theories had entered into his head but he couldn't confirm any of them. “I see. So you really meant it that I could plan for a way to make it out of the forest?”

“Indeed I did but you're not doing a very good job of it.”

“Huh?”

“Joseph you haven't even started jogging to work yet. You stroll comfortably to and from here without even thinking of conditioning your body. You're really not in any type of shape for trying to make your way through the forest even if you had all the materials you needed.”

“I well. I didn't think of that.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she reached up and rubbed the very tip of her ear. “Anyway, it's not like we're in any hurry to see you leave. If you'd like though I can start preparing you for your departure.”

“What do you mean preparing me?”

“I can teach you some things about the forest of course.”

“You'd really do that? I thought you said you couldn't help me leave. Oh wait. Even if you do prepare me. What are my chances?”

“Joseph I really don't want to be mean to you and I don't want you to think me cruel but the odds aren't good. This isn't a forest you come into this far with only a small group.”

“Did those soldiers make it out alive?”

“You believe I checked up on them?”

“I believe that one of you did.”

In response Maria gave a slight sigh. “No. We retrieved their armor and weapons a short while after their deaths. They might have made it out.”

“How? How did they die?”

“Joseph they charged blindly after you into this forest and you'd been running full sprint for a long while. Night fall came before they could find their way out and they got lost. For some reason they tried to continue moving after it was too dark. If they had waited until morning I believe they would have made it out alive.”

“So why didn't you help them?”

“None of my sisters and I didn't feel like they were worth helping. They tried to kill me upon our first encounter and had already proven themselves too thick skulled to be worth the time and effort. Did you know they were actually less prepared then you were?”

“I didn't really have time to see how well prepared they were.”

“It was my and your talking that brought them to us. If you hadn't stopped to talk to me you probably wouldn't have even been found by them. That's why I didn't count saving you from the tusker as the second time I saved your life.”

It was hard for Joseph to contain his surprise as this news hit his ears. “That's right. You saved me from the soldiers and from the tuskers. You. By your peoples rules you could have claimed me.”

It was impossible for Maria not to grin as she noted the expression on Joseph's face. “Like I said we don't repay good will with ill.”

“Maria could you tell me what killed them though?”

“Getting lost is what killed them however they died by a variety of methods. One of them died from infection due to the scratches I gave him. A few others died from poisoning others well. They are some dangerous creatures in this forest.”

“This isn't a forest you travel from one side to the other alone in is it?”

“Oh I've seen it done. You're right though it isn't the type of forest you travel in alone. On the outskirts of the forest it's relatively safe however the deeper you go into the forest the more dangerous it becomes. My people aren't the only ones that call this forest home after all.”

“So you live on the outskirts?”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Nope! No where near them!” Before continuing Maria stuck her tongue out at Joseph who was clearly surprised. “You're very close to the center of the forest right now actually I would say this is the center of the forest. The eye of the storm as it where.”

“What?!”

“We may not be the most dangerous thing in this forest but my people are the most powerful. Thus we claim the heart of the forest as our own and only very rarely have to remind the others that live here why it is our home.”

“Maria, I can't help but feel like this is all a trap. I believe I'm being taken to safety to improve my odds of survival and eventually make it out. Only to learn some time later there is a system in which I can be claimed if you have to save me. Now I learn that that we're in the very heart of the forest where it's most likely that I'll end up being claimed if I try to leave.”

“That is true.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he looked away from Maria and leaned against the table before him. “Damn it. Damn it all. What can I do then? You offer to help me prepare to leave the forest and then you tell me this. It's like you're playing some game of cat and mouse and you're just wanting to help the mouse run a little faster so you can tease it a bit more. You make me think I can go and then you pull me back in again and again.”

It was odd but Maria actually found her smile had vanished as she listened to Joseph. “It's not uncommon for people to lose their life in this forest Joseph. At least this way you have a chance to reclaim it.”

“Why though? Why do you have to play this game with people?”

“I can't tell you that Joseph.”

Before he could respond Joseph found himself lowering himself to his knees and leaning his head against the desk before him. “I think I'm going to be ill.”

Instead of responding Maria hopped off the desk and made her way over to Joseph. She then placed her hand on her shoulder. “Joseph you don't have to just work, eat and sleep while you're here. You've been working a lot lately. I'll tell you what tomorrow don't do anything and we'll go for a walk in the forest. Maybe you'll find something you can use.”

“Maria how do I know this isn't just a game? You could be planning to put me in a life or death situation so you can claim me. You seem to like these games.”

“Okay then I'll make you a promise. If your life is endangered while we're traveling together and you don't wonder of against my instructions then I'll protect you and won't charge you a thing for it. That also means I won't be able to claim you.”

“I really wish I could tell if you're just toying with me.”

“Anyway, why don't you give your work area a look around and see if there is anything you need. If there is we can talk it over. That goes for something you need for your own projects or something you need to help us.”

“Maria is there something you want more then healing potions and antidotes?”

“Why do you ask? Can you make such an item?”

“I might be able to if I knew what you needed. Now you don't seem to be lacking for stamina so I doubt general restoratives would be of help.”

“I'd say you're right about that. Hm.” Before continuing Maria slowly leaned back until half her body was laying on the desk she'd been setting on while the other was hanging off the other side. “Something we need that I'd be willing to tell you we needed. Oh yeah!” Before speaking Maria quickly set up. “Can you make something for the preservation of food?”

“Huh? Why don't you just dry it or salt it?”

“We do. However, we like to use methods that are a bit longer lasting.”

“Oh I see. You're building up an emergency reserve of food but you don't actually need to preserve anything right now. I believe I know a few things that could be used in the preservation of food.”

“Neat! Of course if you'd like I could go and retrieve you a copy of methods we already used.”

“You'd be willing to share that information with me?”

“Sure it's not like it's dangerous to us.”

“This might sound strange but I believe I'd prefer to use my own methods. I hope that is alright.”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “That's fine. So do you have everything you need here?”

As they had been speaking Joseph had been wondering around the room examining the various reagents and other items provided. His previous impression was confirmed that these were truly some good materials. “Maria you retrieved all the armor from the soldiers that died didn't you?”

“And the coinage why do you ask?”

“You have a pretty abundant amount of reagents here but I just realized you're short on things like metal shavings. Several of these are far more valuable in my world then such shavings leading me to believe that you don't have ready access to metals.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria before she stuck her tongue out at Joseph for a moment. “We get by but we do have to ration such things I won't deny that. Now you have to ask yourself how much do we have in reserve.”

“I bet if I was to go back and examine historic records for expeditions that entered your forest I'd find that they were always stripped of whatever metals they happened to have on them.”

Maria gave a slight chuckle as she raised up and looked at Joseph. “Why are you telling me all of this? Aren't you worried we're going to decide you know too much and can never go home?”

“I don't believe you'd decide that based on what I know. You've already decided I know too much to be allowed to leave with the current trust you put in me. At least you've decided that I know too much to give me a very good chance of leaving.”

“I suppose you may be right.”

“I believe I have everything I need here just let me check.” Joseph went silent as he glanced around the room. “Maria could you go and retrieve my bag for me? I had a book inside with several notes.”

“You left your note book at my home?!”

“Um well yeah I forgot it there.”

At first Maria tried to hold it in but she soon her body shaking and before she could contain it she found herself laughing. She wanted to respond to what Joseph had just told her in a more polite manner but she couldn't help herself. As she opened her mouth to speak she only found her laugher became more uncontrollable and found herself gripping her sides and biting down on her lower lip in an attempt to stop herself.

“What? What's so funny?”

“I just can't believe you'd forget something that important back at my home! I thought you'd have it on you at all times.”

“I well. I. I guess that was pretty silly.”

As Maria regained control of herself she raised herself to a seated position and gave Joseph a little wink. “You're fortunate that we aren't thieves. Okay I'll go and get your book while you set things up here. I'll be a little late as I need to inform my mother of the change in plans.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod. “Well it isn't like I don't know what the book contains. It's just helpful for a memory refresher.”

“Mmmhmm justify it however you like. I'll be back in just a bit.”

When Maria hopped off the desk Joseph took a moment to look her over once again. She was taller then whenever he'd first met her. Given the utter lack of surprise she'd shown at this and how little she'd done to hide the fact he doubted this was a big secret. Then again it wasn't a secret they could keep very effectively from someone meeting with them daily. Now he just wondered what might have happened to cause her to put on the extra height.

***********************************************************************************

Flora smiled as she watched her daughters clearly enjoying their meal especially Maria. It had been a while since she'd been allowed to eat this much though she still wasn't granted the same portion as Mira. “So the two of you are going for a walk tomorrow?”

“Yep. I'm going to show him around some of the easier paths around the village.”

In response Flora gave a slight nod. “You were right to trust him early it seems. He isn't a thief and I don't think it's because he's scared of us. It makes me wonder why he was running away from his previous job though. I suppose it was a difference in ethics after all.”

“I like that he isn't begging me to help him out of the forest.”

To this Flora gave a slight nod. “Yes that can be bothersome. It really helped that he tried to save your life whenever the two of you first met. They aren't many humans that would do that for one of us even if they thought we were a child.”

“Yes I wish he'd offer me some more of the antidote though that stuff really tasted good.”

“You should be glad he hasn't. You know what that would mean young lady.”

“Yes mother.”

“I just hope that as you get to know him he doesn't prove to be a disappointment. He's shown so much promise.”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “I think that everything is going to work out with this one! Maybe I could introduce him to some more of our sisters later and let him wonder around the village some more. Well once I show him where it is.”

“One thing at a time now. Are you interested in having him for yourself though?”

“Um well. It's not like I can right now. Not with this body anyway.”

A sigh escaped Flora as she leaned over the table and placed her hand on top of her daughter's head. “Don't worry Maria. You're doing wonderfully. I know you've slipped up a few times but it won't be long before you're body becomes more comfortable.”

“I. I really messed up before I had to go to sleep. Didn't I?”

In response to this Flora slowly ran her fingers through her daughters hair. “I was so glad when you came back willingly. If you hadn't. I don't want to say it.” Instead of continuing Flora removed her hand from her daughter's forehead and slipped them under her arms. She then lifted her over the table and brought her in for a hug. “I'm just so glad to have my big girl back.”

“Big? Pfft this body isn't big by any stretch of the imagination.”
Chapter 2 by happiest_in_shadows

    “You'll always be my big girl though. Besides at least your speed improved while you were asleep.”

    To this Maria gave a slight nod. “Well yeah and I'm grateful for that now. I sure didn't like it when I first woke up. The first thing I did was plow into the cave wall.”

    Both Maria and Flora's attention was drawn to Mira who was made to snicker. “Sorry it's just I'm remembering her trying to stop and slipping on the loose gravel.”

    In response Maria glanced back at her sister. “Laugh it up and just wait until you slip up. I'm not going to hold back on teasing you.”

    “Okay just don't hope too much. After all my body won't be changing much for a while now.”

    “You'll eventually have your body altered enough that you'll make a mistake. Perhaps you'll be the reason we have to get a bigger door next time.”

    A sigh escaped Flora as she reached up and placed a hand against her forehead. “My that was embarrassing. I don't know if I approve of you two keeping track of one another's more embarrassing moments though.”

    In response Maria gave her hand a slight dismissive wave. “Don't worry about it mother it's all in good spirit. I just hate that right now I have so little ammo.”

***********************************************************************************

    “How is it going in there? Did I pick the right size?”

    “Yeah, it's just this is a little awkward.” As he responded Joseph was buttoning the pants Maria had brought for him. He'd been quite surprised whenever she'd shown up with a fresh change of clothing and insisted that he put them on. He'd thought his traveling clothes was alright but apparently she didn't think they were. As he had placed the clothing on he'd noted the difference in the materials. What she'd brought him was clearly a good bit tougher then what he'd been wearing though it wore loosely on his frame. It also didn't trap heat nearly as well.

    Maria had a wide grin on her face as Joseph exited his work shop and closed the door. Joseph was of moderate height at roughly one and three fourth meters tall making him appear positively tiny compared to her sisters. His hair was deep black and had grown out a bit since his arrival. Maria was made to chuckle as she noticed how the very end of his hair began to curl she imagined it was quite curly whenever allowed to grow out. His eyes were a rather soft brown while his complexion was that of one who'd adopted the alchemist life style and didn't see the sun that much.

    “Um Maria what are you looking at?”

    Instead of responding right away Maria reached out and took hold of a few strands of Joseph's hair. “You need a hair cut.”

    “Huh? OH yeah. I suppose I do I just.”

    “We'll take care of that whenever we get back.”

    In response Joseph gave a slight nod. “So um you do hair cuts?”

    “Well yeah. Our fur in general stops growing at a certain length depending on where it is on our body. That holds true except for the fur or hair on our head. It actually doesn't stop growing. I like to keep mine cut short as you can tell but some of my sisters like to let it grow out.”

    “Why keep it cut short?”

    “It's annoying whenever it gets caught in some branches or I come home and have to pick a bunch of leaves and twigs out of my hair.”

    “I imagine that would be bothersome. So where do you want to go today? I really don't know the area and I don't want to risk going where I'm not welcome.”

    Before speaking Maria raised a hand and pointed behind herself. “Just pick any direction other then back that way and you'll be fine. I'm here with you so I don't expect any trouble.”

    “Alright, Maria if I see any plants on our way that I could use in the workshop would it be alright if I retrieved it?”

    “It depends on the plant. I'll have to take it by storage and make sure you're not asking for something incredibly rare. It isn't likely you'll find any such plants around here though so I imagine you'll get to keep whatever you pick.”

    “You seem to have given me a good stockpile of rare plants.”

    “Those aren't rare to us.”

    “Ah I see. Well then, this way it is then. Why did you giggle just now?”

    “Oh no reason.”

    “Please tell me.”

    “Well sense you said please. That path isn't as easy as you might think. You'll get quite a work out if you go that route though I don't know if you'll get very far.”

    For a moment Joseph was tempted to change paths but after a moment gave a shrug. “I believe I'll stick with it anyway. You said I was in terrible shape for traveling in the forest and I need to start somewhere.”

    “It's your choice.”

***********************************************************************************

    As Joseph leaned against the tree his legs felt like they were made of rubber, sweat was pouring off of him and he found himself gasping for air. It took a considerable amount of effort to look further up the rocky path. He wasn't surprised to find Maria grinning from ear to ear as she waited for him. As he struggled to regain his breath though he was actually surprised by something. He found himself actually looking at Maria and much to his surprise noting how pretty she was.

    From head to toe Maria was covered by a thin layer of fur. The fur on her stomach, crotch and inner thigh was pure white and he imagined as was her bottom. Outside of that region she was a mixture of yellow and black stripes not unlike a tiger while the very tips of her ears were white as was her fingers from the knuckle up and tail tip.

    Her body was somewhat small despite the extra height she had put on something that he would have to ask her about but as he looked at it he realized something. Maria's body wasn't the body of a child. Even at her current size each breast had roughly the same whiff of two fist put together palm facing while her hips flared out nicely from her waste. It was hard to make out but whenever she would move or bend at the stomach he could also clearly make out her abdominal muscles. The same went for her biceps whenever she'd pull her arms in.

    Her eyes weren't shaped like any beast he'd ever seen and they clearly weren't human. Rather they seemed a cross between a human and a cat. They were a far brighter sapphire blue then he'd ever seen any human have.

    “So Joseph having any regrets that you chose this path?”

    It actually surprised Joseph when Maria spoke to him and he had to give his head a quick shake to bring himself back to reality. “Huh? Oh! Well I'd be lying if I said that I didn't. You weren't kidding when you said this path was difficult.”

    “Well relatively difficult.”

    “Yeah you seem to be doing just fine. I still notice this path is somewhat worn as if it's traveled often. So I'm guessing your people must use it for something.”

    In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yep now if you could only guess what that something was.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he quit leaning on the tree and began to make his way up towards Maria. “Maria I've been here for a while and it doesn't seem like I've really talked to you. I've asked you a lot of questions but do you think we could just talk.”

    “Sure! What would you like to talk about though? I'm afraid I'm not well versed in human affairs.”

    “Hm well let me think. You know a few nights back I heard some drums playing. What kind of music does your people tend to listen to?”

    “That kind of varies.”

    “Okay what music do you like?”

    “I love wind instruments especially the flute. I tried to learn to play one myself but I never really had the patience for it even now. Fortunately a few of the brothers know how to play and are often willing to do so. It's just such a relaxing sound. At times I like to play it in my head while hunting.”

    “Hunting? That's not exactly the type of activity I picture a flute accompanying.”

    “Oh but the way the music flows.” As she spoke Maria shifted her position placing her hands and feet on the ground. Her legs were pulled up close to her body and her toes pressed firmly into the stone she was on as if she's getting ready to pounce. “It's so much like the stock. Moving silently towards your prey, circling them, finding out their weak points the whole time they're relaxed having no idea that you're there.”

    “Oh so you prefer the stock more then the pounce?”

    “They both have wonderful appeal. The stock just last so much longer.” As she was speaking Maria moved towards Joseph being careful not to make a single sound. She was made to chuckle when he took a few steps back clearly weary of her intent.

    “The stock is when you examine your target, decide if they're fit prey or perhaps even too strong. The energy slowly building and waiting for the release of the drums.”

    “Tha.” Joseph didn't get to finish as Maria became a blur to his eyes. Before he could find her again he felt something brush against his face and could hear some chuckling. That was only what he noticed first. As he went to move forward he found that he couldn't and then felt something brushing against his throat. He realized that it was Maria's fingers second later. She'd been nice enough not to extend her claws.

    “Your heart makes very good drums. You should hear how it's going now.”

    “Maria you're frightening me right now.”

    “Mm I'm not going to hurt you just teasing you a bit. Relax.”

    Why wasn't she letting go of him? Joseph didn't have an answer for this though he knew it would help him relax. Instead of asking her to release him though he took in a deep breath and tried to do as he was told. Much to his surprise he found himself calming down though Maria's finger continued to travel across his throat as he was trying to do so.

    “So what kind of music do you like?”

    “I believe my favorite instrument would be the violin.” 

    At last Maria released her hold on Joseph and took a few steps out in front of him. “Hm you know I've never heard one of those. Heck this is the first time I've even heard the word so of course I haven't heard one. What are they?”

    As Maria stood in front of him Joseph didn't know what came over him. He felt his arms twitch as did his entire body and before he knew what was happening he'd reached out to take hold of her. Much to his surprise his arms slipped under hers and before he knew what was going on he found himself trying to lift Maria off the ground. Much to his surprise he found that he couldn't despite her smaller size.

    “Heavier then I look aren't I?!” A delighted giggle escaped Maria as she looked back at Joseph and stuck her tongue out at him.

    “Blast it but that doesn't mean I can't pay you back.” Once again Joseph began to move. One hand began to move over her stomach his fingers moving frantically searching for a ticklish spot while the other was removed and went for her ears.

    A slight gasp escaped Maria as she quickly pressed off the ground the moment she had some room to jump. It was easy to remove herself from Joseph arms as she leaped into the air and over him. As she landed behind she locked her arms behind her back. “You're going to have to be faster then that!”

    Instead of respond verbally Joseph quickly spun around and once again tried to take hold of Maria. Unfortunately he only grasped air this time as she dodged to the side. He got another surprise though whenever something soft smacked him in the face just lightly. The impact wasn't much but it was a distraction and it left his nose feeling funny.

    Maria was made to grin from ear to ear as she gave Joseph a quick smack with her tail. He'd actually surprised her whenever he'd tried to pick her up so she'd allowed him to catch hold of her. Now she found herself playing with him in much the same way she'd play with one of her brothers. She'd instinctively restricted the use of her arms so that her only offensive weapon was her tail while her legs were used to evade.

    It was nearly preposterous how fast Maria could move. While the first time she'd evaded him she had really been moving now she was just side stepping. At times she didn't even do that. Several times she'd just waited for the last second to duck under his arms and raise herself up so that she'd be standing next to them. On top of that each time she dodged Joseph received another quick smack from her tail.

    “You know this is usually a group effort.”

    “Huh?”

    Maria gave a slight chuckle at the puzzled look on Joseph's face. “So where is this coming from? I thought you were scared of me.”

    “I think it's time I moved past that.” As Joseph spoke he moved forward and once again tried to grasp Maria. He got a surprise though whenever he received a ear full of tail tip. The soft fur and rapid movement insured that he had to take a moment to itch his ear.

    “I'm glad to hear that.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he finally stopped moving and took in a few breathes. “You're just too fast.”

    “Ah you're done already?”

    “The violin is a string instrument. I can't really tell you what the sound is like though without knowing what you've heard before.”

    “Can you play it by any chance?”

    “No I never learned.” As he finished speaking Joseph quickly spun around and attempted to take hold of Maria again. This time he was surprised to find she'd already moved and he received a quick smack on the top of his head from her tail.

    “And you like it? Maybe one day I'll be able to hear someone play one then.”

    “Yeah maybe.”

    “Joseph I hope you don't mind me asking but I'd like to know. What were you working on that caused you to run from your employer?”

    At first Joseph said nothing then a sigh escaped him. “I complain about you all not trusting me but how much trust have I shown you? Okay then I'll tell you. Currently the Gale king and the Bock kingdom are involved in a war. I was one of the alchemist in service of the Gale kingdom and I had developed a plant I believed would help win the war.”

    “Was it some form of poison?”

    “No. You see one of the major factors in war isn't just having more troops it's sustaining those troops. So it's wise to provide them with plenty of supplies and even things like healing potions. The plant I'd develop would have done that. You see it's fruit was a natural healing potion as effective as just any type you'd find on the market.”

    “Oh wow! Are you serious?”

    “Yeah but there was draw backs.”

    While Maria had meant for this to be a casual conversation she couldn't hide her excitement now. Joseph probably didn't realize it but he'd hit on a nerve. “What kind?! Was it poisonous if you ate too much? Did the fruit lose its strength over time? Did it cause negative mental effects? Tell me!”

    “Um Maria you're hurting me.”

    In response to Joseph's comment Maria's heart skipped a beat. As she looked down towards her hands she was shocked to find that she'd taken hold of Joseph and lifted him off the ground. Even more to her surprise her claws had extended and she could see that he was bleeding. “Oh no.”

    Joseph gave a slight sigh of relief whenever he felt Maria retract her claws. Before he could comment though he felt himself suddenly lain across her shoulder. One of her arms wrapped around his legs while the other held his waste. Then he found himself suddenly accelerating back towards the village. “Maria what's going on?”

    “I'm taking you back to the village now I need to get those wounds treated! Joseph I'm so sorry I didn't mean to hold you that tightly.”

    “What? It isn't.”

    “Quiet! Just hang on and we'll get those wounds closed up.”

***********************************************************************************

    “Are you okay now?”

    In response Joseph gave a nod as he took the cup from Flora and drank a few sips. “Yeah I'm alright. I didn't realize that Maria had injured me that badly.”

    “She didn't mean to.”

    “I know. I know she didn't I realized that the moment she started carrying me back here. I didn't realize that her claws had cut that deep into me actually.”

    “Joseph I hope you don't mind me asking but, what were you and Maria talking about? She doesn't normally get that excited.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he looked up at Flora. “We were just talking about my past research.”

    “It must have been some research to get that kind of reaction.”

    “Well I was proud of it but I never thought anyone would respond to it that strongly.” A sigh escaped Joseph as he reached up and placed a hand where Maria's claws had cut through him on his right side. “Those claws can do some real damage.”

    “That's what they're meant to do. Joseph would you mind telling me exactly what this project of yours was?”

    “Promise not to do me like Maria? Her claws cut pretty deep yours might be fatal.”

    “You have my word.”

    “Before I left my former employer I was developing a special kind of plant. The fruit it produced had the same properties as a standard healing potions and in some cases better. However, there was some unforeseen side affects.”

    As Flora listened to this her eyes were made to widen and she felt them dilating to let in more light. Her heart rate began to speed up and she felt her muscles tensing as her excitement began to rapidly build. Instantly it became clear to her why Maria had gotten so excited. “I. I see. Just what were these harmful side affects you mentioned?”

    “It's the plant itself. I didn't realize it when I only had one in the lab but after I had grown a few I found out there was a problem. They allow energy from some of the mystic plains to bleed into the world. If there's just one or only a few it isn't that dangerous but if they were grown in numbers that would be needed to oh say feed an army. Well the effects could be disastrous.”

    “Do you mean if grown using regular methods? What if they were spread out like around a forest?”

    “I'd be afraid to do that. I don't know what would happen with the plant in the long term after all. There could be unforeseen side affects and if they're not monitored they could spread without anyone realizing it. The king didn't want to hear that of course and insisted I produce enough to feed an army. Even if it wasn't for the energy they let loose into the world I couldn't produce that many without finishing my testing.”

    “Joseph. I need to step out for a moment.” Instead of waiting for a response Flora stood up and made her way to the door. Part of her wanted to take hold of Joseph and find out just how this plant had been produced. However, she'd promised that she'd keep control of herself.

    As Joseph watched Flora leaving he didn't know what was going on. The way she moved was extremely tense as if her body didn't want to leave the room. On top of that as she moved away he could have sworn he heard a slight growl coming from her.

***********************************************************************************

    What was going on here? Joseph had been surprised by Maria's response to telling her about his work but Flora had nearly floored him. A sigh escaped him as he grasped the side of the hammock he'd been sleeping in. Just when he'd began to get use to sleeping in one something happened that wouldn't let him wrest easy. His curiosity had been peaked and he wanted to know what was going on. Realizing that sleep wouldn't be coming soon he finally rolled to his side and stood up.

    As he stood up though Joseph didn't know what he was going to do. It was too dark to go for a walk and he didn't know what came out in the forest during the night. He didn't want to wonder around Flora's home either at least not with them all asleep. Fortunately a solution to the problem revealed itself.

    “Are you having trouble sleeping?”

    Instantly Joseph recognized Maria's voice though he couldn't see her in the darkness. “Yeah, I've been wondering about something ever since our walk.” Joseph was a bit surprised whenever he felt something brush against his hand before taking hold of it.

    “This might be telling you a bit much but with what you told us I believe it might be worth the risk. Joseph do you remember how small I was whenever we first met? I know I'm still small now but even you noticed my growth.”

    “Yes, you said that you couldn't tell me more about that.”

    “I'm sure that you've noticed how strictly we must follow our diets. This actually serves a very important reason. You see the size of our bodies is affected by how much we eat and how often we eat.”

    “You mean you get larger the more you eat?”

    In response Maria gave a slight nod. “It isn't just that. I guess I'll tell you everything I can right now. Listen carefully and don't interrupt. We do mature and develop like you humans do but that doesn't decide how much we grow. Rather the amount of energy we take in regularly decides how large we grow and it's constantly affecting us. If I were to start eating twice as much as I am now and eat it regularly you would notice a significant increase in my scale.

    That isn't to say we eat one big meal though and put on several centimeters. It must be sustained over several weeks or months to have a noticeable affect. This of course creates a problem. If we were to just eat until we felt content again and again then our bodies would keep growing so it would take more and more food to make us feel content. Before too long we'd be so large that we'd strip the forest of all its natural resources and well that wouldn't be good.

    So we're forced to ration what we eat. The size we're allowed to obtain depends on several factors. Our current resources, if we're considered stable enough to handle such a body and a few other things I won't go into. As you can tell I'm only allowed to eat so much so that I remain relatively small by the standards of my sisters.”

    “Why are?” Before Joseph could continue he felt Maria's hand cover his face.

    “Didn't I tell you not to interrupt? I'll tell you but just listen from here on out until I tell you to speak again. I went overboard suffice to say. I let my hunger overcome me and was constantly snacking. I soon grew well beyond most of my other sisters and had to be confronted. I'm just glad I went along peacefully. You see there is a way for us to return to a smaller scale but it's not exactly pleasant. It takes a long time and well I can't tell you about that now.

    What I can tell you is this. The amount we allow ourselves to eat isn't enough. At most we can only sate our hunger and from time to time on very special occasions eat until we're content. No sating isn't the right word for it. Even those times we can sate our hunger are rare. Think of when you eat with us and think about how much you've seen my mother and sister eating. Do you really believe that's enough to suppress their hunger?”

    “I never thought of it but no. Now that I think about it. None of you seemed to eat all that much.”

    “Just sating our hunger can be enough to make our bodies grow just very slowly. Those years we can allow ourselves to sate our hunger are thus years of plenty during which we believe we can all afford to put on some extra mass. The other years though. It hurts.”

    “What does this have to do with my research though?”

    “Joseph how much nourishment do you believe a plant like you described could provide? It could relieve so much of this hunger that when I heard about it. It was hard to contain myself. Of course now that I've calmed down and have had time to think I've come to a few realizations. You didn't even tell me how much nourishment the plant needs to thrive.”

    For a moment Joseph said nothing as he bit down on his lower lip. The words wouldn't stay in though. “It requires no more nourishment then an apple tree of the same scale.” As Joseph responded he wasn't very surprised whenever he felt Maria's claws pushing into his skin though he was relieved when it didn't break it. She was controlling herself.

    “I. I wish I hadn't asked you about your research before you came here.” As she spoke Maria began to remove her hand from Joseph's. The whole time she was pulling her hand away though she wanted to take hold of his throat. To make him tell her how the plant had been made and how it can be made again.

    “At least I know why now.”

    “Joseph do you think you could share this plant with us? It would mean so much to my people.”

    “Maria, I can't. I can understand why you'd want to know how to produce the plant but now that I know something about your bodies. I just can't hand over that information. It's powerful enough as is in the hands of a species like yours I can only imagine what you could do. It isn't just that though.”

    “I. I see. Trust is very important when it comes to such matters. Even my people understands the importance of trust and how precious it is. What if I agreed to see you safely out of the forest in exchange for the knowledge?”

    “No. It isn't just trust though Maria. I was surprised whenever I found out the plant let mystic energy bleed into this world. What other surprises might it have in store? I need more time to study it and find out its properties.”

    “I understand. Anyway, now you know a bit more about my people.”

    “Yes. I now know why your people guard this forest so closely.”

    “I guess that means we both have a better understanding of one another. I'll see you in the morning.”

    As Joseph felt Maria release his hand completely he felt her tail brush against him seconds later. His eyes had adjusted to the dark but he still couldn't see her as she made her way out of the room.

***********************************************************************************

    It was hard for Joseph to eat as he watched Maria, Mira and Flora eating their breakfast. Apparently Flora hadn't been at home the previous night at all. She had killed a tusker and prepared it for breakfast while they'd been sleeping. Yet as massive as a tusker looked to him when he compared it to Flora and Mira it looked to be less then a piglet. They weren't even going to eat all of it though. He hadn't noticed it at first but the portion these ladies allowed themselves was indeed tiny.

    As Maria chewed her food she took her time to enjoy it as much as she could. Already half of her breakfast was gone. “Mom I'll bring home lunch today if that's alright.”

    “That would be fine Maria but is there any particular reason?”

    “Yep! I noticed some mushrooms earlier that I want to use in a stew.”

    “That would be wonderful but what type where they?”

    “Just some ah whoops.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she waved her right hand in the air. “Never mind.”

    In response Joseph glanced at Maria. “What is wrong?”

    “They're highly toxic to humans. It's been a while since I've cooked for anyone that was so vulnerable to toxins and I tend to forget such things. Hey I know! How about I go and catch us some blue scales instead?”

    In response Flora gave a nod. “That would be delicious. However, I'm going to go and kill something myself just in case.”

    To this Maria gave a quick nod. “They can be rather hard to catch.”

    “Um Maria if you don't mind. Could I come along?” Joseph actually found himself grinning as he looked at Maria. “I have no idea what type of fish you're talking about so I'd like to see them. I'm also curious as to why you'd have trouble catching any.”

    First giving her head a quick nod Maria took a moment to eat a bit more of her breakfast. “Well the problem is finding the blue scales. They're quite rare so it takes a fair bit of effort to find enough to make a decent meal. They're about this big to.” As she spoke Maria held up her hand and placed a finger just below her wrist. “About the size of my hand.”

    “Wouldn't you only need three or four then?”

    “Yep and that's the problem. Like I said they're rare. Mm this isn't exactly the time of year to go hunting them either.”

    “Why are they so rare?”

    “Ah well maybe rare isn't the right word. You see they blend into the water extremely well thus the reason we call them blue scales. It isn't just difficult to see them though it's also horribly hard to smell them. They don't have much of a scent. They have such a wonderful flavor though it's well worth it!” As she finished speaking Maria's tongue flicked out and ran along her lips.

    Now Mira chose to speak up. “I just hope you have better luck then I did when I went hunting for them earlier.”

    “Yeah, I'll do my best to bring back enough for lunch but Joseph. I don't want to be mean but I don't believe I can bring you along and have a chance to get enough for lunch. I'm going to have to check several lakes and streams and that's going to require me to move quickly.”

    “Ah okay. Not a problem.”

    “Though if you'd like, I could carry you on my back. Remember I'm going to have to move fast though.”

    “Ah no thank you. I remember whenever your sister gave me a ride here and that you were moving even faster.”

    In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Okay then I'll see you later. If you'd like I can come and get you if I find enough. At least that way you can see them before they're cooked.”

***********************************************************************************

    As Joseph set at his work station he found it hard to watch the reactions going on before him. What Maria had told him the previous night was still playing in his head. Her species grew larger and more powerful the more nourishment they took in however to keep from growing so large they stripped their homeland they had to keep themselves in a state of near starvation. How hard was it to go through life always being hungry?

    It wasn't unheard of. People died of starvation regularly after all. Maria wasn't in the same situation though. Her people were surrounded by food and could obtain it easily. Rather they had to force themselves not to eat. What kind of discipline did it take to ration your food like that?

    What made it nearly impossible to focus on his work though was the thought that he could help them. The amount of energy stored within the alchemical plant would allow them to eat far more frequently without outstripping their resources. At least it would for a time. However, if they let themselves go too much wouldn't they just outgrow those resources as well?

    Of course there was the chance that at large scales the hunger was less painful. He had only began to consider that recently so he had yet to ask Maria if that was the case. However, even if that was the case there was many concerns to prevent him from just handing over such knowledge.

    What affects would the growth of his plant have on the local forest? He had only recently discovered the way it allowed energy to bleed into the world after all. For all he knew it could have even more disastrous affects. Was the fruit truly safe to eat or would constant consumption result in something negative? Would it affect Maria's species the same way it affected humans?

    Then on top of all that he had to worry about the danger Maria and her people might pose. They were already a powerful species. Powerful enough to protect the forest for hundreds of years. Now he had an idea of why they had never expanded beyond the boundaries of the forest.

    Their home was a much desired expanse of land. It was fertile and brimming with natural resources. The resources that they needed to sustain themselves. If they were to venture too far from their forest they would find far less suitable land. Land that couldn't sustain them. Perhaps that was the only thing that kept them from reaching beyond the forest and claiming the entire region for themselves. It simply wasn't suitable enough. Would that change whenever they had the ability to sustain themselves even away from their forest?

    A hissing brought Joseph's mind away from these thoughts and towards the flasks he'd been warming up. Much to his dismay he found one of them had began boiling over. Almost instinctively he stood up and took hold of a pair of tongs. As he removed the flask from the flame he gave a slight sigh and glanced down at the burner to see how much had boiled over. “Well this flask is ruined.”

    Maria sighed as she busied herself slipping on her necklace, anklets and bracelets. “Blast it I almost forgot to put these on. If I had entered into the workshop while Joseph was still working I could have ruined all his work.”

    Flora smiled as she glanced back at her daughter. “I'm sure he wouldn't have been too upset. I think he'd be rather interested in finding out exactly how it happened more then anything else.”

    “Oh like that would be any better.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she moved towards her daughter and looked into the sack she was packing. “You're going through all this trouble just to show him a fish.”

    “It wouldn't be any trouble if I'd thought to bring these along with me. I'll be back in just a bit.”

    Joseph couldn't help but groan as he looked at the vials he'd been working on. He'd been so distracted that he'd lost several potions so that the day's output was only three quarters of what'd liked it to be. He didn't have time to be too distracted though as he heard the workshop door being knocked on. It was actually such a surprise that it took him a few moments to respond. “Come on in.”

    As Maria opened the door she glanced around the room. She could smell where the potion had been spilled earlier. “Did something go wrong?”

    “I have a bit of a boil over. What's in the sack?”

    “Just what I promised to show you. I managed to do quite well and dropped the others off with my mother.” As she spoke Maria held out the satchel being careful to keep it level.

    In response Joseph gave a slight nod and walked over to Maria. “You didn't have to go through all the trouble of bringing it back here.” Joseph was actually a bit surprised when he looked into the satchel for two reasons. One was that the satchel was full of water apparently Maria had decided to bring the fish back alive. The second reason was how difficult it was for him to make out the fish. “How did you catch that?”

    “Neat isn't it? Their scales aren't actually any solid shade of blue rather they adapt to the water around them. You have to look for the movement of the water as the fish swim or catch them in the shallows if you want to find them.”

    “This is quite impressive. I've never seen a fish like this.”

    “They're absolutely delicious! My mother likes to eat hers boiled in a soup but I honestly prefer mine raw.” As Maria spoke she felt her stomach growl and actually had to resist the urge to go ahead and eat the fish. It was a good thing that her mother expected her to bring it back or she would have.

    “I wouldn't mind studying one of these when I have the time. It's been fascinating to learn how their scales adapt to the color of the water like that.”

    “Well if you set up the equipment I might catch one for you later.”

    “I'm not sure if I have the time for that.”

    “Oh? You're planning on leaving us soon then or your preparations are taking that much time?”

    “No. It's not that. You've told me that I could prepare to leave if I wanted to. However, what if I wanted to continue the research I was doing under King Gale?”

    “You mean that plant you spoke of?! You'd like to continue researching and developing it here?!” As Maria spoke she could barely contain her excitement.

    Before continuing Joseph couldn't help but take a few steps away from Maria remembering what had happened last time. “Well I can't continue studying it right away first I have to make another plant to begin my studies again. You see when I left the Gale kingdom I couldn't take the plant with me so I burned it before my departure.”

    “You want to grow another one though!?”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “Yes I would like to continue studying it. While I believe the life bloom could be dangerous I also believe it could be very beneficial not just to your people though to mine as well. That said this doesn't mean I plan on allowing you all to use the plant. Maria I just don't know enough about your people.”

    As Maria listened to Joseph she couldn't help but feel somewhat saddened. She had hoped this meant Joseph would in trust them with the plant once he felt it was safe but that didn't seem to be the case. “Why would you want to begin work on it again here then?”

    “I believe that I may be able to trust your people.”

    “Really?!”

    “Please don't cut me open again.”

    This last statement actually served to calm Maria down again though she was made to chuckle. “You might teach us how to grow? I believe you called it the life bloom.”

    “Yes I might. One way or another I devoted a lot of my life to developing that plant in a way you could say that it became my life. You can probably tell that I never left my lab for very long and it was only when I had to. To be honest I hadn't really thought what I was going to do once I made it to the other side of the forest.”

    Maria's smile was back in full force now as she looked at Joseph. “You mean you're thinking about staying?”

    “I can't be certain but from the few of you I've met I believe I may.”

    “Yay!” At this news Maria couldn't help herself and nearly pounced Joseph. Instead of grasping his sides like she had done before she quickly wrapped her arms around him pinning his arms to his size as she hugged him. “I'm so glad to hear that.”

    Joseph was made to exhale sharply as Maria hugged him but fortunately it wasn't so tight to make it impossible to breath. “I am going to have to learn more about your people though.”

    “I know and that will take time but I kind of doubt you're going to be able to regrow the life bloom in a single night.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “No. If only I could but it's just not that simple to create an artificial life form. Even if it is a plant.”

***********************************************************************************

    “Um what's going on?”

    Maria grinned as she noted the stunned expression on Joseph's face. They'd planned to be getting things ready whenever he arrived to make explaining things simpler. “We're getting ready to move back into town. You can use this house as your own from here on out. Also if you'll come with us we'll show you the way to one of the village's main districts.”

    “What do you mean?”

    Instead of waiting for her sister to explain things Mira walked over to Joseph. “Joseph this isn't actually our family home. This is a halfway house of sorts where newcomers to the village live with one of the residents for a while to insure they don't get into trouble. Haven't you ever thought it was strange how you never see anyone else but us?”

    “I well. Yeah. It never occurred to me that this wasn't actually your home though. I just thought you all lived very spaced out.”

    A slight giggle escaped Mira as she shook her head. “Not quite. Didn't you wonder about those drums you've been hearing at night?”

    “Well yeah.” A sigh escaped Joseph as he put a hand on his forehead. “Just how far away is the main village?”

    “Oh a bit less then a mile.”

    Before Joseph could ask another question Maria came up to him and took hold of his hand. “You're permitted to go into the village market now which means you don't need us here anymore. You'll be able to come into town and pick up whatever you want to eat or retrieve your own alchemical supplies. We'll show you the way to the market.”

    “I. I see. Well I'm glad that you all trust me to come further into your village but still. Um.” Before continuing Joseph took in a deep breath. “Will I see the three of you around still.”

    In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Of course! We'll be coming by to check on you from time to time and besides. I meant it when I said I'd like to get to know you better Joseph.”

    Once again Joseph found himself at a loss for words as he looked at Maria. “Maria I'd like to get to know you as well but what caused this change in behavior?”

    Now Flora chose to speak up. “Joseph we have to be careful of those we allow into our village. Ever since you've came here you've been earning our trust. At first you had to ask Maria for everything you needed but you never stole from us or tried to take extra so we stocked the shelves. Now you've been working with fully shocked shelves and you've been honest about where the materials have been going. You've also shown know inclination to the type of behavior that gets people killed here so we're trusting you to come into the village. At least we trust you enough to roam around the market district. This will give you a chance to meet more of our sisters as well and better learn of us if you should want to.”

    “I see.” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he rubbed his forehead for a moment. “I have to be honest. This is rather sudden and I'm kind of nervous.”

    Once again Maria chose to speak up. “Try not to worry too much. After all how much can you learn about us if your life revolves around just two buildings?”

    It was impossible for Joseph not to blush upon Maria asking this question. “Do you realize how much of my life has been that way?”

    “Ah well I do know alchemical studies can be quite intensive. Fortunately for you you're going to have to come into town and deliver the potions you make. So there is no real way to get out of interacting with us.”

    “True. Huh hold on a moment. Don't you all tend to hunt for your own food?”

    “Ah well all of us don't have a family to share our meals with at the moment. So rather then see our kills go to waste we take them to the market and leave some of them there. Say for example I killed a tusker I might bring a good eighty percent of the animal to the market and let one of my other sisters have it. You'll also have a chance to interact with some other humans as well.”

    “Other humans?”

    In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah! You're not the only one we have living here after all.” A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Just don't let those that have grown hostile miss lead you.”

    “You mean people that are currently claimed.”

    To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Joseph I'll be honest with you. You've reached a point that many don't go past. You have yourself a little home, you have yourself a career and you have some freedom. What you choose to do with that is up to you however this doesn't mean we trust you entirely.”

    “I understand. With greater opportunity comes greater chance to fail.”

    “Yeah but.” Before continuing Maria reached out and took hold of both of Joseph's hands. “I really want to trust you even more then what I already do. I hope we can become friends and if you're wondering. A friend would help a friend move on in life and that includes leaving the forest if they desire to.”

    “Huh?”

    Now Flora chose to speak up once again. “Joseph you shared some of your secrets with us and we've shared some of our secrets with you. Neither of us are a real threat to the others survival but if we go much further that could change. You already know how our bodies respond to nutrition and while that's something many don't know it's not really a threat. You just know one of our strengths. We know that you were developing a plant that could help that strength greatly but we're not going to force you to share how it's actually made.”

    “I'm thankful for that.”

    In response Flora gave a nod. “Soon though you could learn something that would make you dangerous to us. Before that time comes you're going to have to make a choice. We can either see you safely through the forest and to whatever exit you desire or you can remain here.”

    “I. I see. Well that's nice to know. Though to be honest now that I've decided to resume work on the life bloom here. I would really hate to leave so sudden as it would require me gathering up all.” Joseph didn't get to finish as he felt Flora's hand cover his mouth.

    A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she looked down at Joseph. “You're already thinking of reasons to stay with us?”

    It was odd but Joseph felt his pulse quicken as Flora smiled at him. “I well. I do plan on setting up shop here and I don't exactly like the idea of moving.” Once again Joseph found himself silenced though this was due to him receiving a quick smack from a tail. The impact didn't hurt but it made him blink and shut his mouth.

    “You don't have to explain.”

    Once Flora removed her hand Joseph gave a slight nod. “Alright. Flora would you tell me what made you decide that I should be given this chance though?”

    “To be honest we let everyone in the market area once they've gone a long enough time without doing something foolish. This doesn't matter if it's because of fear or trust as long as they don't do something stupid they can at least be allowed that far. However, those who are only allowed there because they're too scared to do anything aren't in quite as favorable of a situation.”

    “I. I see. Wait didn't Maria just say few reach this point?”

    “Yes she did and she was being entirely honest. I was talking about being allowed into the market though. What Maria was talking about was being allowed to live alone if you desire.

    “Ah well that's something to be proud of I suppose.”

    “Now I have a question for you. Have we been passing your tests?”

    “Huh? What do you mean?”

    “Now Joseph don't play stupid with me I don't appreciate it. I know that you've been testing us since we brought you here.”

    In response to this Joseph was made to grin and gave his head a slight nod. “Ah well. It wasn't really intentional but when Maria went and retrieved my note book for me and nothing was amiss I came to trust you far more. You seem to value alchemical knowledge but you didn't take that knowledge from me.”

    “Well we aren't thieves.”

    “You've treated me well since I came here and haven't rushed me while working in the lab. You said that I could leave whenever I wanted and while I realize the odds of me making it out are pretty low you never took that freedom from me.”

    To this Flora gave a nod. “Is there anything else?”

    “Well I have been living with you for a while now. I like to think I've learned something about you all just by being here. In all honesty though what helped the most is whenever you didn't try to force me to show you how to grow the life bloom.”

    Now Flora was made to sigh as she shook her head. “Joseph you don't have any idea how hard it is not to. Whenever we told our sisters several of them wanted to try and make you give up the secret but the majority over ruled them.”

    “I appreciate that. However, I can't say I agree with everything you do.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she placed her hand atop Joseph's head nearly engulfing it as she did so. “Well that's to be expected! Anyway, come on and we'll show you the way to the market area.”

***********************************************************************************

    Joseph felt more then a little awkward as he walked towards the gathering of buildings holding a crate in his hands. It had been three days since Flora, Maria and Mira had shown him the way to the market and this was his first solo trip there. He'd managed to hold off by eating some of the food left behind in his  hut telling himself that he didn't want it to go to waste. Now he found himself having to journey into the market and in truth he had no idea what to expect.

    “Hi there! You look a little loss. Could you use some directions?”

    At first Joseph had been made to jump the voice seeming to come out of nowhere. As he turned to face the owner of the voice though he was surprised. What he found himself looking at wasn't her face but rather her crotch. The surprise was enough that it took him a moment to turn his head upward. How something so large could sneak up on him was beyond him but he knew that she had. “Um yeah. I was wanting to make a delivery.”

    Instead of asking him what kind of delivery the beast girl took in a few deep breaths of air. She could smell the potions inside of the crate. “Okay you'll want to take those to storage. Would you mind if I picked you up?”

    “Um no bu.” Joseph didn't get to finish as the female slipped an arm underneath him and easily lifted him into the air so that he was actually a bit higher then her head letting him see over the crowd.

    “Do you see the building that's all closed up?”

    At first Joseph said nothing as he looked around. Soon he caught onto what the lady was talking about as he noted one building standing out from all the others. It wasn't due to the design rather all its windows and doors were closed tight while the others were open. “Yes I believe so.”

    “That's the one. If you get lost on the way there just ask another one of us for help.”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “Thank you.”

    “No problem.” As she finished the beast girl lowered Joseph back to the ground and carefully set him down. “You've been living with Flora haven't you?”

    “Well that depends. How many Flora's live here?”

    “Her daughter's are Maria and Mira. Hey why are you blushing?”

    “I um just realized. I don't know her last name.”

    A slight giggle escaped the woman as she waved her hand. “Ah don't worry about that we don't have last names.”

    “You don't?”

    “No we sort of remember one another by scent and family connections. My name is Alexa by the way. It's a pleasure to meet you Joseph.”

    “Like wi. Wait how did you know my name?”

    “Oh we're quite good at keeping track of such things. I heard about you from Flora and recognized you by your scent.”

    “I see. Well thank you Alexa.”

    “Not a problem.”

    “It's too rough there is no way they could wear that.”

    “What do you mean it's too rough? It's fine. I swear you want to treat every human like they'd melt if water fell on them.”

    Tera gave a sigh and shook her head. “Listen Nora I'm telling you that the material is too rough for a human to be comfortable in. They don't have a layer of fur to protect their skin and their skin is no where near as tough as ours.”

    “I know that I'm not stupid and I'm telling you that you're wrong.”

    “Why do you have to be so stubborn? I've told you this before and I've been right nearly every time. The clothing you make is strong but it's not comfortable for humans to wear.”

    While Tera's track record was indeed better then hers Nora just couldn't back down. “You're not right all the time! So I've made a few mistake and overestimated what humans could tolerate. I'm not some idiot that never learns from her mistakes.”

    “You could have fooled me.”

    “What did you say?!”

    “You heard me.” As Tera spoke she took a step towards Nora a clearly indicator that she wasn't scared of her. She wasn't surprised whenever Nora met her advance.

    “I ought to tear off your ears for saying that!”

    “I'd like you to try. It'd give me an excuse to smack you around.”

    “You're only acting so tough because you know I can't fight you here.”

    “The same could be said for you. However, no matter how badly I thrash you it's not like it'd would prove I'm right. So how about we put these clothes of yours to a test?”

    “Fine but it can't be anyone we know. That way the other can't say they were playing favorites.”

    “What are you talking about? What do you propose we do then?”

    Now Nora was made to grin as she clearly knew something Tera didn't. “Can't you smell that?”

    Joseph had been rather surprised to hear the shouting come out of nowhere. While he'd missed the first part of the conversation he'd heard enough to feel he should get away from the building. He had just began to speed up his pace whenever he felt a hand land on his shoulder nearly engulfing it.

    Tera had actually been surprised that she hadn't noticed the new scent earlier. She'd realized why a short while later though upon coming closer to Joseph. She remembered his scent from Flora's visit whenever she came to get some clothing. “Hi there. I hope you don't mind but could you help us for a moment?”

    This time Joseph remembered to look up upon facing the woman. He was a bit surprised though whenever she wasn't as tall as Alexa. Rather he guessed her to be as tall as Mira which meant she still positively dwarfed him. “I. Um well I was going to drop this off and.”

    “Oh! Don't worry it should only take a moment of your time. Please I'd really appreciate your assistance.”

    To this Joseph gave a slight nod. “I. Well what do you need help with.”

    “My friend and I are clothiers believe it or not and we're working on a few outfits. We're having trouble gaging what a human would find comfortable though so we were hoping you'd try them on. Please? It should only take a moment of your time.”

    Joseph had heard enough of the conversation to know what he'd just been told wasn't entirely true. However, he found it hard to say no to a woman when if he'd kept his head level he'd probably be looking at her belly button instead of her eyes. “Alright then.”

    “Wonderful!” As she spoke Tera reached down and placed a hand under the crate Joseph was packing. Before he could protest she lifted it up. “I'll just carry this for you. Now please come on inside.”

    Nora had been listening to insure that Tera wasn't tainting the test subject. She was glad whenever she didn't but she doubted Tera would. They argued about things and at times had come to blows but they were still friends. “Hi and welcome. So you're the one that's going to be helping us?”

    “I guess that I am.”

    “Okay then.” As she spoke Nora moved forward and held out a matching shirt and pants. “Please try these on and let us know what you think of them.”

    It was immediately clear to Joseph that these clothes were meant for work and hard work at that. This was confirmed upon taking hold of it and feeling of the material. A shiver ran up his spine though upon feeling of the material and noting how rough it was. “Um would you happen to have a dressing room?”

    To this Tera gave a slight nod. “Sure, but I don't see the problem. You humans are so self conscious about your bodies.”

    “Ah well not all of us are. I just don't have a soldiers build is all. Anyway, I'll just go try this on if you'll point me in the direction.” As Joseph was speaking he really just wanted to tell them both the material was too rough. Just holding it in his hands made him shiver and he could only imagine how much it would itch.

    Tera just shook her head in response to Joseph's comment. “Personally I like my guys healthy and cuddly but anyway. The changing room is in the back of the shop there.” As she spoke Tera pointed towards the back of the room.

    “Okay, I'll be back in just a second.”

    As Nora watched Joseph heading towards the back of the room she turned to Tera speaking in a tone far too low for Joseph to hear. “This isn't fair.”

    In response Tera lowered her voice to match Nora's. “What?”

    “He's clearly not a worker. He's an alchemist you can smell it from the crate he was packing and all over him. He's soft skinned even by human standards that outfit was meant for someone working in tougher conditions.”

    “You're already making excuses? I swear you can be impossible at times. Besides what conditions are you talking about exactly?”

    “Well someone who accompanies our sisters when they go out searching for herbs. That or those who work on refining and need protection from chemicals.”

    “Protection from chemicals? Oh like an alchemist.”

    In response Nora was made to grimace as she noted the grin on Tera's face. She'd slipped up and Tera had used it against her. “Well fine then.”

    As Joseph stepped out of the dressing room he felt more then a little awkward. He'd just put on the outfit and he was already having difficulty not tearing the clothes of as they were already itching them. “Well it's a little lose on me and.”

    Before Joseph could continue Tera spoke up. “Is it comfortable?”

    “Um well. I don't believe it is.”

    “What's wrong with it?”

    “Well it really itches for one thing. There is.” Once again Joseph found himself cut off.

    Tera couldn't contain herself as she looked at Nora. “Ha! I told you.” Instead of continuing to taunt Nora Tera turned to Joseph. “Thanks for your help. This stubborn fluff for head wouldn't listen whenever I told her a human wouldn't be comfortable in such materials. You can change back now if you'd like.”

    In response Joseph gave a quick nod and entered back into the dressing room. He was hesitant at first as he noted Nora scowling however it became clear she was looking at Tera and not him. “So the two of you are clothiers?”

    To this Tera responded as Nora clearly wasn't in the mood. “Yep. Though we've only recently started and are still learning actually.”

    “Why clothiers? I don't mean any offense but you don't seem to wear very much or um well anything.”

    “Well at times we like to dress in pretty clothes as well but yeah for the most part we don't wear them. They are other humans living here though and they need clothing unlike us. Plus I think it's rather enjoyable.”

    “Enjoyable how so?”

    “It gives me a chance to be creative and artistic! However, since what I design has to be functional as well there is another degree to it. I find that it's a wonderful way to express myself.”

    In response Joseph gave a slight nod as he listened to Tera's explanation. “Well then thank you for the lesson.”

    “Lesson?”

    “Yeah I'm rather new here so I have a lot of preconceived notions to remove.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Tera as she nodded. “Ah I see what you mean now. You're trying to learn about us then. Well then I'll give you a little information. Yes I enjoy hunting and yes I tend to hunt quite a lot myself. A good deal of the fur I use in making my clothes I retrieve myself. However, we do have other hobbies. Hunting isn't exactly a difficult task for us and we need other ways to spend our time.”

    To this Joseph gave a quick nod. “Is that what this market is for?”

    “To a large extent it is. You'll find out more once you make your delivery. Speaking of which if you'd like I could walk you there.”

    “Aren't you worried about customers?”

    A sigh escaped Tera as she shook her head. “Not really. This building is more to store and show off what we've done then to actually bring in customers. You're few and far between.”

    “Huh? Do I have something that was bought here?”

    “Why do you ask?”

    “You said you're whenever you were speaking to me. It made me feel like you were talking to me directly.”

    “Ah well. I'll be honest. Yep that shirt you're wearing was made by me.” As she spoke Tera reached out and took some of the fabric between her fingers. “Flora came by a while back and asked if I could make something for slow traveling through the forest. I already had something on hand so she left with this.”

    “Ah I see. I'll have to repay.” Now Joseph once again fell silent as he felt his cheeks warming up. “Oh damn. Now I feel stupid.”

    “How come?”

    “I just realized I have no idea what you people use for currency.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Tera as she placed a hand on Joseph's head. “Let me get you to the alchemy shop. You'll learn quite a few things there.”

    “Alright then.”

    Dan gave a slight sifh as he checked over their inventory. It had been a rather busy month and they were running into some problems. They were short on iron and copper which was slowing the others in their research. Unfortunately gathering such materials could be difficult. He hated the idea but it seemed like he was going to have to ask some of the ladies to go and make a bit of a deal to secure more of the metals. At least they didn't need anything exceptionally rare.

    “Hey Dan how are things going?”

    Dan was actually caught off guard when the cheery voiced reached his ears yet he didn't jump. Having lived amongst these ladies for so long he'd almost grown numb to them showing up out of no where. “I'm doing just fine Tera. What brings you here today?”

    “I was just showing someone the way here.”

    Now Dan was interested as he looked up and towards the door. “Really? Well it's been a while. Who it is?”

    As Tera stepped to the side Joseph stepped into the room. He was surprised by what he found. The room was quite large with several chairs and tables all around it. The only exits from the room was the door he'd came through and one at the back of the room which clearly led into a large room as it was dark. This door was blocked by a rather heavy looking desk with one section that clearly opened up. It was far from what he expected from here. The most surprising part though was he found himself looking at another human.

    It was clear to Dan that he was the first human Joseph had seen here other then himself. “Damn you are new here if you're that surprised.”

    “Ah. Sorry about that. I just didn't expect to meet another human here!”

    To this Dan gave a quick nod. “Yeah I felt the same way. Tera either come in and shut the door or leave and shut the door.”

    In response to Dan's comment Tera quickly stuck her tongue out at him. “You're not the boss of me mister.”

    “Yes but I am currently in charge of the alchemy supplies which includes this building.”

    “Ah well you got me there.” Instead of leaving Tera proceeded into the room and shut the door behind herself. As the door was shut the room remained lit due to several illuminating crystals that lined the walls. “I believe that I'll stick around for a bit.”

    To this Dan gave a quick nod and reached under the desk. He then produced a necklace, two anklets and bracelets exactly like Maria's except the chains were much longer. “Please put these on then.”

    “Sure thing.”

    As Tera came over to the desk Dan turned his attention back to Joseph. “Well I imagine you have a lot of questions so let's get things started. Shall we?”

    “Um sure.” As he spoke Joseph proceeded over to the desk and placed the crate down.

    “Okay I'll just give you the basic details and you can ask what you want after that. This is the check in station for alchemical raw materials and products. We store a certain amount of everything here before being moved to a safer location or used. This counter is manned at all times day and night in case you need to come in for something and it's late. So feel free to come by anytime.

    We also keep track of who has brought in what and who has taken out what. It's important to keep track of who's running up a debt and who's building up their credit. Speaking of which I should probably check yours. Please state your name and who you've been living with.”

    “My name is Joseph Liut and I've been living with Flora, Mira and Maria until recently.”

    In response Dan gave a quick nod. “Okay just give me a moment here.” As he was speaking Dan once again vanished beneath the desk. This time he came up with a rather heavy book which he quickly began to search through. As he looked through the book he took a moment to look at Joseph and note his surprise. “We like to keep records.”

    “I. I see that. Well that's not what I was expecting.”

    Tera had been quiet for a while but chose now to speak up. “It's not like it's our doing. The brothers insist quite heavily though on keeping detailed records rather then just relying upon memory. We try to temper them whenever we can but they can be so sensitive about knowing who is doing what.”

    “I see. Tera, um could you tell me anything else about your brothers?”

    In response Tera gave a quick nod. “They oversee most of the alchemical research, materials and supplies. They also keep track of most of the raw materials we bring in. Well at least they keep track of many of the materials. They like to make sure the food supply is holding steady.” A sigh escaped Tera as she placed a hand on her forehead. “It's exceptionally tedious.”

    “It must be bothersome always reporting in.”

    “Oh! Not for me!” A slight giggle escaped Tera as she shook her head. “I meant for them. I don't know how they stand to spend so much time reading over reports on pray, plant life and what's in storage but they do.”

    “Huh? So they're like your civic planners?”

    In response Tera gave a quick nod. “Yeah! That's a good way of putting it! They can be a little pushy at times but we know they have our best interest at heart. Our brothers have seen us through a lot of lean times with as little hardship as possible.”

    “I see. Is there anything else you could tell me.”

    “Nope!”

    “Why not?”

    “You're not allowed to know much more.” As she finished speaking Tera quickly stuck her tongue out at Joseph.

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head and looked at Dan. “Do you know more.”

    In response Dan gave a nod. “Yep. Okay I found you. You've been pretty consistent in delivering healing potions, you've also started delivering food preservatives as well. You've been removing some materials from storage. Not a lot but fairly frequently. So in the end your rating is.” For a moment Dan grew silent as he took his time to look over the records once again. “We need to get you fitted.”

    Before Joseph could even respond Tera spoke up. “Yay! You mean he's already earned enough credit?”

    “Yeah which is pretty surprising.”

    As Joseph found a chance to speak up he chose to. “What are you talking about?”

    To this Dan looked back at Joseph. “Well I take it you've noticed how currency isn't a major thing here. Rather you could say trust and respect are the currency here. One way of earning that respect is by giving more then you've taken and well you've given a lot more then you've taken. Enough that you've earned some extra privileges just don't think that these are concrete.”

    “What kind of privileges and what is this fitting you're talking about?”

    Before speaking Tera placed a hand on Joseph's shoulder to get his attention. “A new outfit! Well part of a new outfit actually. Basically it lets those that don't know your sent yet know that you're a person who can be trusted.”

    “I see. So I take it one can't just have one of these outfit made.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he took hold of his shirt collar. “I'll tell you this. If Tera or one of the other females caught you wearing an outfit with this marking and knew you hadn't earned it you'd be in serious trouble. I won't go into the details of what they might do but most don't try stunts like that.”

    “I see. What about the females then? You don't seem to wear much.”

    “Of course not! It's based on how big we are.”

    “Huh?”

    Before speaking Tera removed her hand from Joseph's shoulder and bent at the knees so she was closer to eye level with him. “The more mature and trust worthy you are the more you're allowed to grow. Up to a point at least. It's a physical statement that you're capable of handling a larger stronger body. If you're not deemed responsible enough you have to keep yourself at a smaller scale so you're less of a threat.”

    “I see. Has it always been that way?”

    “For as long as I or my mother have been alive. Now as for your clothing. That began as soon as we started bringing humans into our village.”

    “So this trust. It isn't set in stone is it? I could lose well whatever position I've earned couldn't I?”

    “Yep! OH and if you're wondering it tends to be harder to regain what you lost then when you first earned it.”

    “I see. Is that why Flora's daughter Maria is kept so small?”

    A sigh escaped Tera as she nodded her head. “Maria is a nice person and she didn't mean any harm. She went overboard by such a huge margin though. I mean she really went beyond what was reasonable she let her desire to quiet her hunger overcome her and was becoming really dangerous. I. I don't really think she should have to stay so small though. She came back to us willingly and she's been nice since then and in control.”

    “You sound like you and Maria are good friends.”

    In response Tera gave a nod. “Yeah it's probably why I didn't notice you right away. I smelt Maria on you so stranger didn't kick in right away.”

    To this Joseph gave a nod. “Do you think you could tell me some things about Maria later?”

    “Sure as long as it isn't something I believe you should be asking her yourself.”

    “Thanks.” As Joseph spoke he turned his attention back to Dan. “Dan could I ask you some questions as well? You're the only other human I've met so far so I have quite a few things I'd like to know.”

    “I'll answer what I can.”

    “I guess my biggest question right now is why are you here?”

    “Ah I should have knew you'd ask that. Okay I can give you some of the details. I was claimed a few years back while in the forest. You see I was part of an expedition to gather some very valuable plants. I knew it was dangerous but the pay I was being offered was really something else. At the time I didn't really think about it as theft as I didn't consider the forest dwellers a true nation. The group I'd come into the forest with was mostly torn apart whenever they were confronted.”

    “Why torn apart?”

    “When told to restore what they'd taken, leave their armor and weapons and get out of the forest they chose to attack instead. Apparently the ladies that found the search party didn't feel the guards were worth retrieving. I wasn't killed though because I tried to speak with one of them before the guards attacked.”

    “You mean you fought them?”

    “Yeah I did. As I had at least tried to communicate in the beginning they didn't kill me. Probably didn't hurt that I wasn't really a combatant. Anyway, I was brought back here and given an assignment as one of the claimed. I realized my situation so I didn't try to escape and worked off my debt so to speak. Eventually I earned my life back and was given the choice to try and leave.”

    “So why are you still here?”

    “I um well. As I mentioned I actually out rank you even with your upgrade. I've kind of worked my way up to a reasonable level of respect and it's not like this is a bad place to live. That and well I fell in love.”

    “What?”

    A slight chuckle escaped Tera as she looked down at Joseph. “Dan here is the mate to one of my sisters.”

    “The mate? Exactly where does that put you?”

    In response Dan was made to grin. “Ah well. Okay you need to know this. If you find one of the ladies giving you an abnormal amount of attention and getting somewhat physical unless you're interested in her at that moment do not respond. You're not claimed so you have the right to say no but you don't want to risk giving her the wrong idea.”

    “Just what are you saying exactly?”

    Instead of waiting for Dan to speak up Tera chose to. “Um well you see. As you can guess we're not exactly like human females. Our instincts are a little stronger and well when stimulated and encountering a male that seems receptive to the attention we tend to lose control.”

    Instead of letting Joseph ask another question Dan spoke up. “If you tease one of them while they're stimulated there is a good chance you could end up raped if you're not serious. It's that simple.”

    “What?! You have to be joking?”

    “I am most assuredly not joking and it has happened. Even if you're not claimed you have to be weary of this.”

    “Why didn't Flora or any of the others tell me about this?”

    “It's well. It's not exactly something they think of very often. Tera I really feel awkward saying this around you. Would you like to explain it?”

    In response Tera shook her head in the negative. “I'm not exactly a human so I don't believe that I could. Besides it's kind of interesting to listen so go ahead.”

    To this Dan nodded. “One thing I've learned while living here is the ladies are a lot closer to their animal instincts then a human is. Whenever one of them becomes stimulated past a certain point they'll often search for someone to lay with. If they encounter a male they find pleasing they'll approach him and if he responds positively that's all the confirmation she needs.”

    “How much confirmation is needed?”

    “Physical contact is more then enough at times just the wrong statement can do it though. So if you're not interested in one of them and you find yourself receiving their attention just don't respond or better yet make it clear you're not interested immediately.”

    “I see. Alright then, what did you mean by mate though?”

    “A mate is basically like a husband in our society except for some slight differences.” A sigh escaped Dan as he reached up and scratched his head. “You sort of give up your right to say no to certain things in exchange for having exclusive rights to a female and a few other benefits.”

    “I see. So if she becomes stimulated you can't say no?”

    “If Mina was to come up to me after I'd been awake for two days strait, had a head ache, was sore from climbing the entire time hadn't eaten in twenty four hours I still couldn't get away with saying no. That said I don't believe she'd force me to perform in that condition. Actually, Mina would probably be pretty pissed off if she saw me in that condition.”

    Before Joseph could response Tera spoke up. “You're damn strait she would be! She'd be ready to kill someone!I'd say more then one person most likely.”

    Now Joseph chose to speak up. “So that doesn't bother you?”

    In response Dan shook his head. “Na. I gave myself to Mina along time ago on a far deeper level then just physical. Besides it isn't like it's a one way street or anything.”

    “Dan you said you came here as one of the claimed. Do the claimed have the right to say no?”

    In response Dan shook his head. “No they don't. If one of the ladies decides she wants one of the claimed for herself they're only two ways he can get out of it. One of the sisters or brothers have to stand up for him or he could always end his own life. That isn't exactly common though.”

    “Why is that?”

    Now Tera chose to speak up. “In general forcing yourself on one of the claimed is seen as pretty damn embarrassing. The idea that you're so sorry that you have to resort to physically forcing a male is just plain insulting. About the only time a female would force herself on one of the claimed is if she wanted to have some rough fun or planned to kill him anyway. We kind of have to be careful with you humans otherwise you break so easily and the slightest touch of our claws can be lethal to you.”

    Instead of waiting for Joseph to ask another question Dan spoke up. “How they kill someone that they feel is deserving of death is pretty much up to the lady.”

    “I. I see. You're comfortable with this?”

    “Once you learn more about them you'll see why it doesn't bother me as much as you probably think it should.”

    “But you were claimed! One of them could have taken you at any time! I know you said they wouldn't kill you but still.”

    To this Dan shook his head. “No. Not really. Every group of claimed has an overseer that watches them and keeps track of how well behaved they are. They're job is to punish, protect, provide for and instruct the claimed under their care. If you behave and try to do as you're told they're quite good at protecting you.”

    “Are you kidding? That kind of situation is ideal for abuse! Human history has proven that again and again.”

    In response Dan nodded his head. “Yes human history. However, they aren't humans. Joseph how easily do you think Tera there could tear us both apart?”

    “I um well. It probably wouldn't take her a second.”

    To this Tera gave a slight chuckle and extended her claws. “Ah I wouldn't do that to you two.”

    To this Dan nodded. “I know Tera but still it helps make my point. Joseph they already have power over us the moment we enter into their forest. If that alone was enough to provoke them to violent or cruel behavior you and I would be a lot worse off then we are now.”

    “Well you do have a point there. So just what type of lady serves as such an overseer?”

    “You lived here for a while. Mira is still a little low ranked to serve as an overseer last I checked while Flora could easily do so.”

    “I see. So what was Mina?”

    “Well Mina was my overseer.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he covered his forehead for a moment. “I swear this is hard to take in. I spent so much time with Flora, Maria and Mira that I guess such things slipped my mind. It's making me feel kind of sick.”

    In response Dan gave a slight shrug. “I felt the same way to be perfectly honest for a long while. I can't say that I got use to it but they're things that let me accept it. Surely this isn't the first shocking things you've seen. I remember being horrified at how they tore apart my companions upon their choice to attack.”

    “I. I haven't thought about it in a while. When I first encounter Maria she nearly killed a soldier. Well she gave him the wound that would kill him later. Then when she chased after me I remember her voice. She sounded so happy as if the person she'd just severally wounded didn't mean a thing to her.”

    “I bet he did mean something to her. Most likely she felt that you'd bring her more amusement then killing him though so she chased after you instead. If you'd stayed behind you'd most likely seen her rip apart everyone there except for yourself.”

    For a moment Joseph said nothing but closed his eyes and remembered back to their first encounter. “Maria was almost laughing whenever she tore open the soldier's chest piece and cut through his skin.”

    “Don't forget things like that. Especially if you have a chance to leave.”

    “I suppose I shouldn't. So what made you decide to stay? At least I assume you had a chance to leave.”

    In response Dan gave a nod. “Are you sure you want to know.”

    “Yeah.”

    “Like I said Mina was my handler. At first I was terrified of her and she was quite authoritative and intimidating. I was kept with several of the other claimed and she kept a close watch on all of us. After a few weeks though I found the way she treated me becoming different. She started talking to me not questioning me or telling me what to do but actually talking to me. She didn't seem to be watching my movements as often and started trusting me to work by myself.

    Of course this pissed the others off. They thought I was spying on them and some started to make my life harder. At least that happened until one of them intentionally broke a vial containing a potion I was working on. Things had been broken before and Mina had taken it in stride but this time she got mad. I thought she was going to tear the guy's arm off. She didn't go quite that far but she did deliver quite a beating to most of the people in the room.

    Then that night I found my sleeping arrangements had changed. I was moved to a different room. It wasn't larger but they were fewer people in there. This is when I started to learn what trust meant to them. They were claimed like I was but they were the trusted ones. Mina had seen that the others were beginning to view me as a threat so she'd separated me from them. The next day I got up my nerve and instead of waiting for her to talk to me I went over and started talking to her.” A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he gave his head a slight shake.

    “It sounds like things were going well. What happened next?”

    “It got harder to get my work done! Mina turned out to be far more affectionate then I believed she'd be. It was hard to get a minute to myself to do some calculations. Then a few days after I finally forgot myself and actually began to lecture her about why she couldn't be bothering me while I was working. It was only after she stood up and I was reminded of how big she truly was that I realized I might have made a mistake. Instead she apologized and left me be. Well that made me feel like a jackass so I apologized a short while later.”

    Once again Tera chose to speak up. “You hurt her feelings you didn't just talk to her!”

    Now Joseph was quite surprised as he looked at Dan. “The claimed can get away with yelling at one of their keepers?”

    “It really depends on the keeper and who the claimed is. I got away with it as Mina was fond of me and a few other factors. Mostly because Mina was fond of me though. Anyway, as I spent more time with Mina I got to know her better and as I learned more about her people I came to understand why they work the way they do.”

    “I see. So did anything ever happen to make you fearful?”

    “Of course it did! I guess the worse came after I'd been claimed though. Several of the claimed tried to escape and I don't mean the lowest ranked ones either. Several of the trusted claimed and others got together and making use of items they'd taken tried to escape into the forest. It actually caught me off guard as that night I wasn't in the same room as the others.”

    “Where were you?”

    “Mina had kept me out late checking on storage and seeing if the records matched up with what was actually there. It wasn't. I guess I should have known something was up as when I told Mina she just told me to keep counting and make sure I got everything.” A slight chuckle escaped Dan. “I kind of thought she was picking on me making me do that when I was so tired.

    Anyway, I did as I was told and when I got back I saw all the others along with several other ladies. The women were acting strange. I mean really strange with the way they were playing with the escapees and well even with Mina standing next to me I was scared of what they might do. Mina reached down picked me up and told me I'd be sleeping with her that night.

    I didn't sleep a wink that night. I could hear the screams in the other rooms. Up until then I didn't think any of the girls would actually force herself onto an unwilling male but that night I learned they are conditions.”

    “Did you see any of them again?”

    In response Dan gave a nod. “Yeah though I was the only one in that room for a good while. The next day I saw several of them they were cut up pretty bad in most cases, some had broken bones and all of them had deep bruising. Three of them I didn't see anything but from the way the others looked I can guess what happened. They were real quiet after that night.”

    “Do you think that running is the only thing they did?”

    Now Tera spoke up instead of waiting for Dan to answer. “Most likely not to get such treatment. Those keepers you saw that night had basically decided they didn't want to kill them. That said they felt they needed to hurt them on a level far deeper then physical and were probably trying to break their spirits.”

    As Joseph listened to this he gave his head a slight shake. “Tera I don't mean to talk to you like you aren't here.”

    “It's alright it's not like I mind. You don't know everything about our people after all so you're not going to fully understand us. Hopefully as you come to know us better you'll see the reasons for such actions.”

    “I'm not sure if I could ever see how someone could enjoy killing another sentient being.” As he spoke Joseph gave his head a slight shake.

    “Well did you feel any sympathy for those soldiers?”

    “I well. I don't believe they deserved to die just for entering the forest. Maria could have given them a little display as a warning.”

    In response Tera gave a slight shrug. “Why should she give them such a warning when they're invaders within her home? Besides you didn't give me much of an answer so I'm going to ask you a question. How upset are you that Maria was going to kill those soldiers?”

    “I. I'm not sure how to answer that.”

    “It seems to me that you're not very upset at all. If you were truly upset by her actions would you have just forgotten them? Wouldn't you have confronted her about it and at least tried to show her how such behavior is wrong?”

    “Well that is true. I didn't say anything about it to her but.”

    “Do you think that she'd get upset and harm you if you confronted her about it?”

    “Well no.”

    “It seems to me that you aren't nearly as concerned about those soldiers as you want to believe that you are.”

    Where had all this come from? As Joseph looked up at Tera and noted the tone of her voice he could almost feel a change in her. It was a change that he didn't find comforting. “You do have a very good point there. I suppose I feel that I should be more upset then I really am so I at least try to act that way.”

    “Why do you humans try to force yourself to feel things that you don't feel?”

    “Because we believe we should.”

    In response to this Tera just gave her head a slight shake. “Anyway, if they hadn't been claimed they would have just been killed.”

Chapter 3 by happiest_in_shadows
“Yeah. I've heard that before.” A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head.

“Of course. If you're truly as upset by our methods as you seem to be you could go around trying to convince us to treat the claimed differently. You're not a claimed yourself and as long as you're respectful in your methods and follow the rules I don't see anyone harming you.”

“Are you serious?”

“Well yeah!” A slight chuckle escaped Tera as placed a hand on Joseph's shoulder. “Now the question is are you going to do so or are you going to admit that you're not as upset by what I've told you as you pretend you are.”

For a moment Joseph was silent then gave his head a slight shake. “Put up or shut up is it?”

“Of course! You either act and go for the kill or you don't.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod and took in a deep breath. Part of him wanted to be outraged, he wanted to go speak with every person he could and try to convince them some practices were wrong. However, the truth of the situation hit him. The part of him that wanted to speak up was silenced by several that didn't. Some felt it was dangerous, some didn't want to act without more information and some of him really didn't care. “I guess it's time for me to shut up.”

A slight chuckle escaped Tera as she gave a nod. “Anyway, Dan what is Joseph here up to?”

“Tera he's advancing fast but not that fast. He's a four as you should expect.”

Before Tera could response Joseph spoke up. “What is a four?”

This Dan chose to answer. “When you first came here you were a one you were allowed to request items but you had nothing in stock, when the shelves were stocked you became a two, a three's allowed into the village and makes direct visits here. As a four you're permitted a better supply of materials and more respect.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod. “Okay though I have to ask. What do you mean by respect?”

It was hard for Dan not to grin as he shook his head and pointed at Tera for a moment. “A three can be led around by a female like Tera there and you'd be expected to submit. Now she'd have a lot more explaining to do if she injured you and could be in trouble herself.”

A slight chuckle escaped Tera as she looked at Joseph. “That last part isn't really such a big deal. Honestly you might end up regretting the change in rank.”

“Why is that?”

“Oh you'll see.”

“Okay then. What do I have to do to progress to the next stage though?”

It was impossible for Dan not to grin. “You have to learn about them and prove you have what it takes to function in their society. You're in for quite a trip.”

Even Joseph couldn't have missed the tone of Dan's voice or the way he was grinning. “So someone that just made trips between their work area and here would never reach rank five?”

To this Dan shook his head. “It isn't possible to reach rank five without the endorsement of several of the females. In order to do that you have to get to know them. I'm going to give you a bit of warning now. Don't play around with them.”

“Huh?”

“Some of the people that have been brought her have tried to manipulate their way out of here. There might have been a few cases of it working out but I haven't heard of any. Those that I do know of haven't ended well.”

“What happened?”

“As you can tell most of the sisters know one another or at least know of one another. So if you lose the trust of one you tend to lose the trust of the others and that's very hard to gain back. If you really mess things up it can be impossible.”

“Thanks for the advice.”

A sigh escaped Dan as he took hold of the crate Joseph had brought. “Now I need to get back to work. I have to get this cataloged and into storage.”

To this Joseph nodded. “Yeah, I don't really need anything right now so I guess I'll be getting back.”

“Oh no you won't.” As she spoke Tera took hold of Joseph's arm. “You're coming with me.”

“Huh?!” It was impossible for Joseph not to be alarmed as he looked at Tera.

“You're new outfit silly!”

“Oh!” Immediately Joseph felt his skin warming up as he shook his head. “I feel stupid now. I plum forgot.”

An amused giggle escaped Tera as she released Joseph's arm. “I'm sure your mind was on other things. Anyway, come on back to the shop with me and I'll see what I can do. Don't worry I won't let Nora try to dress you.”

***********************************************************************************

“I can't believe you're not going to let me modify your outfit at all.”

As Joseph looked at himself in the mirror he gave a slight sigh and turned to Tera. “The tabard works so well though. I can just put it over whatever I'm wearing whenever I come into town. Then when I'm in the lab I can take it off so I don't ruin it.”

“Yeah, yeah I felt like being a little creative though. There isn't much I can do with that.”

As Joseph listened to Tera he actually found himself grinning. She'd apparently thought he was going to let her get creative with his clothing. He had sense enough to ask her all of his options though and found that there wasn't any particular way to wear the symbol. For this reason he'd gone with a simple blue tabard that would match most of his clothing.

“Tera could you tell me where this symbol came from?”

“Well the original is what our elder brothers still wear today. We modified it once we started bringing in people from the outside to show there standing. You can think of the hand as us opening up to you. The more fingers that are extended the more open we are.”

In response Joseph gave a nod. “Okay, but I already have four fingers extended. Surely that isn't all there is to it.”

“Of course not! Once all the fingers are extended in an open greeting you start getting your claws. It's only after you've extended all your fingers and earned your claws that you've gone as far as you can.”

“I see. Just how far is that though.”

“Any human with all their fingers extended and claws would have the same level of respect and authority as one of our elder brothers.”

“What?”

“Hm?”

“Tera I don't know much about your society but from what I do know I thought your elder brothers were quite high ranking.”

“They are silly! They're just as high ranked as the highest sisters. They just have different spheres of authority.”

“Are you serious? That's like a peasant being able to earn the same rank as nobility. Hell it's like a slave having a chance to earn the same rank as nobility.”

A slight giggle escaped Tera as she looked into Joseph's eyes. “We don't limit what you can become based on who you were born as. I can't say that it's going to be easy to earn your claws though. Joseph you've progressed with remarkable speed you do realize. Flora had mostly good things to say about you though and considering what you did for Maria really fast tracked your advancement.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “What about the life bloom?”

In response to this question Tera took in a deep breath and felt her eyes dilate. “Do not bring that up.”

Joseph was actually quite surprised by how cold Tera's tone had just become. So much so that he found himself taking a step away from her. “I'm sorry.”

“Joseph just mentioning that plant is like waving a steak in front of a hungry beast. A beast that has absolutely no fear of you whatsoever. I was one of the sisters that felt we should push to get that information in case you're wondering.”

“I won't bring it up again.” As Joseph spoke he watched Tera stand up and turn away from him. She placed her hand against the wall and moments later he heard some rather noticeable cracking. As he looked at her he couldn't help but notice the muscles in her back expanding as her body grew tense. It was fairly clear she was trying to calm herself down.

“We aren't thieves and we aren't mindless beast. We aren't needlessly cruel.” As she spoke it was hard for Tera to keep herself from growling. “Joseph there isn't a sister here that didn't want to force you to give up that information. However, to do so disagreed with many of our rules of conduct. Laws you might call them. Enough of us felt that staying true to our ethics was more important then forcing you to hand over such information. That said no one here is going to mention that plant to you as it's too hard to think about.”

As Joseph listened to Tera he felt remarkably stupid. He'd seen Flora's reaction when he'd mentioned the plant to her and after words. She'd just barely been able to retain control of herself when he'd first brought it up but she'd seemed fine after words. She'd never mentioned the plant again to him and he hadn't thought anything of it. It made him glad that he'd encountered someone as composed as Tera or he felt certain that he'd be in trouble.

Joseph wasn't moving and that was a good thing. As Tera took in several deep breathes she forced herself to forget about her hunger. Her body began to relax and she finally noticed how her hands had become clinched fist. She'd squeezed the wall so hard that she'd crushed the wood. “Damn it. I'm going to have to fix that.” As Tera finished speaking she gave a sigh and stood up.

“Well Tera, thanks for everything but.” Joseph didn't get to finish as Tera spoke up.

“I bet you're hungry. I know that I sure am and it's time for me to go eat. How about I show you to the dining hall?”

At first Joseph was going to say no but he noticed a pain in his stomach. “Some food would be good but what exactly do you have there?”

“You never can tell really. Lately Steven has been there cooking and from the smell I bet that he is there today. They'll be plenty of options. Let's go.”

“Alright.”

They were several things the ladies enjoyed eating that provided too much meat for them to eat for one meal or even for a day. Given that few of them had families like Flora to spread the food amongst and they didn't want to waste their kills something had to be done. Now there was two ways to deal with food one couldn't use without wasting it. It could be brought in for preservation and storage or it could be brought to the dining all. As the food stores were rather high at the moment most was going to the dining hall.

When Joseph had first entered the market area he had thought it crowded. It wasn't anything compared to the dining hall though. There were beast girls all over the place many of them Tera's size. He was getting the feeling that roughly three meters tall was fairly normal for their species. From time to time he'd note one that was closer to four meters tall and at times those that were smaller.

“Hey Tera who's your friend?!”

In response to the voice Joseph turned around to see a massive female approaching them. Her fur was solid black while her eyes were a bright green. What really surprised him though was her scale. While she wasn't much taller then Flora or maybe as tall as she was clearly much larger. It seemed to him that the massive female had more mass in her forearm then he had in his entire body and he knew that her thigh far surpassed him in width.

“Can't you tell?”

“With all this food and people around? It's kind of hard to listen to my nose.”

“Hm good point. This is Joseph he was living with Flora for a while.”

“Oh! Well it's nice to finally meet you.” As she spoke the female reached down while at the same time bending down and took hold of Joseph's hand. “My name is Mina.”

“Please. Pleased to meet you.” It took Joseph a moment to realize that Mina was shaking his hand as he felt her thumb alone holding his hand in her massive one. “Would that happen to be Dan's Mina?”

“Yep! So you've already gone and spoken to my mate?”

“Yeah we talked for a while.”

“Did he have good things to say about me? He better have.” As she spoke Mina lowered herself so that she was closer to eye level with Joseph. It was clear to her this didn't comfort him as it only served to establish how much larger then him she was.

“Well um. He said that you were a very carrying person when it comes to those that you consider worth carrying about.”

“Oh did he?”

“Not in those exact words no but that was the image he gave. At least the image he gave to me.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she released the hold she had on Joseph's hand and put it on his shoulder. “Well you got it right. Come on relax! I've heard good things about you to.” As she spoke Mina once again brought herself to a standing position. “I bet you two came here to get something to eat. Come on let's get some. The smoked basilisk should be ready by now.”

“Smoked what?”

“Basilisk.”

“As in the turn you to stone with a glance basilisk?”

“Yeah! What other kind are there? They're a little tricky to find and kill but if they're cooked right they taste wonderful.”

“How do you get a basilisk to cook?”

“Hm well. Let's walk while we talk.” As she spoke Mina gave Joseph a little nudge with her hand and began to progress further into the room. “First you have to know where they can be found, then you have to find out where they are exactly I used my nose, ears and eyes. Then you have to sneak up on them, then well from that point on it's up to you. I personally prefer to sink my claws into their neck severing their head before they can look at me but I understand not everyone has claws.”

“You mean you killed it?”

“Yeah it's been a while since I had a basilisk to eat so I went out hunting this morning. Fortunately I was able to find some time away from work to go get one. If you haven't had basilisk before this is your lucky day.”

“Um what exactly is your job?”

“Didn't Dan tell you?”

“He talked about you working as a keeper.”

In response Mina gave a quick nod. “Yep!”

“I see. Doesn't that mean you should be watching some people now?”

“I am.” In response Mina reached down and slipped a hand underneath Joseph's rear. She then easily lifted him until his eye level was roughly the same as hers. “You see those people over there.” As she spoke Mina pointed towards a group of six men. “Well they're the claimed I'm currently keeping an eye on.”

It didn't take Joseph long to find the men amongst the group they stuck out though not just because they were human. Much to his surprise the beast girls were giving them a pretty wide bit of space to sit in and none of them seemed interested in going over there. Even more shocking though was he recognized the uniforms. “Those are soldiers from the Bock Kingdom!”

“Indeed they are. We always get a lot of new claimed during wars whether it's people trying to escape into the forest, trying to pass through the forest for whatever reasons or people trying to secure some resources.”

“I see. Why isn't anyone going near them?”

“Um well they've been working in the tannery.” As she spoke Mina used her free hand to rub her nose. “It's kind of hard for us to go near them.”

“Huh?”

“Oh foods ready!” As she spoke Mina quickly sprinted across the room not bothering to set Joseph down as she ran. She could tell Tera was right on her hills but so where several others. Fortunately she wasn't just strong she was fast too and she made it to the counter before her other sisters.

Steven grinned as he looked up at Mina. “You know I would have saved you some.”

“I know but I didn't want to have to fight the rush.”

It took Joseph a moment to realize what had happened as he felt like he'd left his stomach several meters behind him. As Mina set him on the ground he actually had to reach out and find something to brace himself against. It was only whenever that something spoke that he realized what he was leaning against.

“You'll absolutely love this.” Mina didn't think anything of Joseph bracing himself against her massive thigh. Rather she quickly retrieved a plate and more forced it into his hands then handed it to him. She then picked up two more.

Joseph was glad when Mina didn't begin walking the moment she handed him his plate rather she gave him a few seconds to recover. As he began to follow behind Mina he glanced down at what he was holding. Was he really about to eat basilisk. “Mina is this safe for humans to eat?”

“It sure is! Well if cooked right. Like I said I brought it in very early this morning. It takes several hours for the meat to be prepared properly depending on the method you use it can take even longer.”

“I see.” As Joseph listened to Mina it actually surprised him how he was following her. He felt like a kid waiting to see where his mother was going to set down so he could set with her. Before he could say something to excuse himself though Mina spoke up once again though it wasn't directed at him.

“Hey Honey I got your food.”

Dan smiled as he glanced up at Mina. Currently a rather thick book set before him one that he promptly closed and placed to the side. “Thanks Mina but you didn't have to.”

“I don't mind. We have some company to eat with us though.” As she spoke Mina placed the food she's gotten for Dan in front of him while her tail nearly wrapped around Joseph and nearly pushed him to the seat she meant for him to set in.

It actually surprised Joseph to see Dan though it wasn't nearly as surprising as the power he felt in Mina's tail. “Um hello Dan I didn't expect to see you again today.”

“Oh I'm here about everyday. At least for lunch I like to prepare dinner for Mina myself.”

To this Mina responded first. “Which I do appreciate.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he looked past Mina and Joseph. “I see you went with the tabard.”

“Ah well yeah. I felt like having the mark stitched into my clothing would be a bit bothersome.”

“I can understand that.”

At first Joseph was going to ask Dan something else whenever he noted something behind him. While he couldn't see it the presence was hard to ignore so that he slowly turned to look behind him. What he found nearly made him fall from his seat. Not more then a meter away were three beast girls of roughly the same size Maria had been when he first met her. They were all three looking at him intently.

“Hi mister!” Pera wore a massive smile on her face even as the human had been made to recoil from her presence. She'd noted the marking on his tabard as he'd been walking around with Mina but hadn't recognized the scent. This had peaked her curiosity so a few of her friends and her had come to investigate.

“Um hi there.”

“I don't know your smell and I don't recognize you are you new here?”

In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Um yeah. I've just started coming to the market district within this last week.”

“And you already have four marks?! That's neat! Most are threes long enough for us to have their scents known. You must be really nice and helpful to have four marks already.”

“I do what I can.”

“So what do you do?”

“I'm just an alchemist is all.”

In response Pera gave a quick nod. “Neat! You smelt like an alchemist but I couldn't be sure sense you're setting so close to Dan. He always smells like potions which is probably why Mina licks him so often.”

It was impossible for Joseph not to notice Mina twitching. At first he wasn't certain why she was until he looked at her and realized she was trying to keep from laughing. Upon looking past her he found out why. Dan was blushing visibly and clearly trying to focus on his food rather then the conversation at hand. Joseph wasn't surprised to find that he was blushing a bit as well upon hearing that.

At first Pera said nothing expecting Joseph to respond whenever he didn't she spoke up again. “So Mister what is your name? My name is Pera.”

“I'm Joseph.”

“Oh the one my mommy has been talking about? You're the one with the plant.” Before Pera could continue she felt something cover her mouth and found herself looking up at Mina.

“Now Pera they are things we don't talk about in the public. Now unless you want to tell me where you heard that from you'll not bring it up again.”

When Mina removed her hand Pera gave a quick nod. “Yes Mina.”

“That's a good girl.”

For a few seconds Pera was quiet she then turned her attention back to Joseph. “So Joseph what are you working on now? Are you making more health potions, preservatives? You smell like preservatives I think. Hey do alchemist know how to make candy?”

“I um well. I'm working on a little of both really and some of my own projects. As for the candy yeah I suppose we know the basics.”

“Really?!”

“Um well nothing fancy.”

“Can you make some quillo lumps? I haven't had them in a really long time and would love some!”

“Some what?”

Before Pera or anyone else could speak up Dan spoke up. “They're basically soft chewy candies that pretty much amount to pure sugar. I can't eat them they give me the worse head ache.”

“I see. I'm afraid I don't know how to make those.”

“Ah! Darn!” For a moment Pera was made to pout whenever she suddenly turned her head to the west as did all her friends. “Yay! Bye Joseph we'll talk later our food is ready now!”

There wasn't time for Joseph to say goodbye as the three girls quickly leaped into the air. He was rather surprised whenever they actually made it to the support beams in the roof and began to quickly run along them. They weren't as fast as Maria but it was still fast enough to make him dizzy.

It was hard for Mina to resist giving Dan a good lick after what Pera had said. She resisted though for the sake of their company and glanced over at Joseph. “Well I hope you have experience dealing with siblings.”

“Huh? Oh no. I don't have any. At least I don't have any younger siblings.”

“Really? Well you're in for an experience.”

“Um why exactly?”

“Those three of course.” A slight giggle escaped Mina as she pointed back towards the direction the girls had went. “You're lucky that they're more focused on food then anything else right now or they would have began to really question you.”

“They didn't seem so bad.”

Once again Mina was made to chuckle. If she hadn't broken the flow of questions by forcing Pera to be quiet she knew Joseph would still be answering them. He'd learn that soon enough though. “You haven't touched your food go ahead and give it a try.”

“Sure thing.” As Joseph spoke he took a moment to cut a portion of the meat away. As he placed the basilisk in his mouth he didn't know what to expected. He was quite surprised by the taste. “Mina this is wonderful!”

“I know! It's quite healthy for you as well if prepared right. I can't leave out that last part.”

“Who'd thought a creature so dangerous would taste so good. I have to say though. I don't think I'd be eating this anywhere else. I would probably be a lot better off selling the body to an alchemist shop then eating the meat.”

“You're probably right but we don't have a shortage of such things around here.” As she was talking Mina easily glided her claws through the meat cutting it up into several tiny sections. She then took a piece of the meat no bigger then the top of her thumb and tossed it into her mouth. “It's nice and savory.”

As Joseph watched Mina eating and those around him something became very clear. They were careful to take their time and each bite was broken up by plenty of conversation. Upon stepping in he had realized this was a social affair but now he was beginning to realize how important of one it was. The only people that seemed to be eating quietly were the claimed which he noted Mina glancing towards every once in a while.

“So are you ready to eat?” As she spoke Stella reached a massive hand down and gently ruffled the hair of the little boy clinging to her massive leg. His little feet were currently placed on her foot as he had insisted on her giving him a ride while they walked to the dining area. Now that it was time to eat though she hoped that he wouldn't give her any trouble.

In response to Stella's question Allen glanced up towards the massive female. A massive smile crossed the young boy's face and for a moment he clung all the more tightly to Stella's leg before releasing. “Sure mommy.”

As Allen released her leg Stella reached down and slipped a hand under his rear and took her seat having already set the plates down. She then placed little Allen atop her massive right thigh which provided him with plenty of room. She was aware that someone was watching her but she didn't pay him any mind at the moment. It wasn't unusual for newcomers to be surprised.

Joseph could hardly believe what he was seeing as he watched the female setting herself and the young boy. The young boy didn't seem the least bit concerned as he set on the woman's thigh and even seemed quite content. Given what the boy had called her the entire thing was too much and he quickly looked at Dan. “What is going on?”

It was clear to Dan what Joseph was talking about. He'd been quite surprised upon seeing something similar for the first time as well. “A mother is taking her son out to eat and as there isn't any seats high enough for him he's setting in her lap. Well on her thigh to be precise.”

“Is she actually his mother though? Surely you wouldn't claim a child.”

“You mean Stella and Allen? A child can't really be claimed depending on its age. Whenever one of the ladies finds a child lost in the woods or ends up killing or perhaps claiming the parents the child enters an odd state. That child right there might not be able to contribute anything right now but despite that he outranks you as he's being brought up here. At least in a since of the word in some ways he's a rank five and in other ways he's not even ranked.”

“You mean he's considered a full member of the community?”

“Exactly.”

“So she isn't actually his?” Joseph didn't get to finish as Dan spoke up.

“Careful! With what you're about to say. She's his mother in every way that matters and you don't want to say something that might offend.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod and took in a deep breath. “I guess this isn't the place to talk about such things.”

“Yeah we can discuss it later.”

Despite the oddity of the situation Joseph did his best to turn his attention away from the site before him. He couldn't help but listen though and looked from time to time as he noted the beast girl helping the child out. The child was positively dwarfed by her massive frame. So much so that one might have thought the child a newborn if his scale was compared to that of the one he called mother. He seemed quite content to set on her thigh though and eat his meal while she ate hers.

***********************************************************************************

“Sorry to make you leave early.”

“It's alright. I know that the girls can really take their time while eating. It took me a while to adjust to their eating habits as well.”

“I guess they want to spend as much time enjoying their meal as they can.”

To this Dan gave a quick nod. “Pretty much. They can't eat a whole lot so they make eating as pleasant of an experience as they can. Thus all the talking going on while eating and how much they cut up their food. A female that has an unpleasant meal whether it's due to bad company or food can be extremely temperamental for the wrest of the day.”

“I take it the company is the main cause of a bad meal.”

In response Dan gave a quick nod. “Yeah, Mina has come home before after a rather difficult lunch. I was actually kind of nervous until I remembered who I was dealing with. I just had to let her complain for a while until she calmed down enough to realize how silly she was being. Fortunately dinner went over well and she calmed down before the end of the day. It helped that none of the claimed she was watching at the time tried anything.”

While they had been speaking Dan and Joseph had made their way back to the alchemy shop. Now Joseph found himself standing just inside the doorway leading into the storage area. “I hope Mina doesn't get mad at me for taking you away early.”

“Na she understands that this is my job. I'll have to make it up to her later but that's fine.”

As Joseph was standing in the doorway he found his eyes falling upon the necklaces, bracelets, and anklets he'd seen Tera wearing earlier. A part of him wanted to pick them up and inspect them but he resisted. “Dan could you tell me what this jewelry is for? I've seen Maria wearing it and now I saw you have Tera put them on.”

“They perform an important function and that's all I can tell you right now.”

“That's not much information.”

“It wasn't meant to be.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head and turned away from the jewelry. “Hey Dan when I came in here before you seemed kind of distressed. Exactly what was going on?”

“Ah we're running low on some materials and it's getting kind of frustrating.”

“I see are they particularly rare?”

“Here they tend to be. Not so rare for most other regions though.”

“So why don't you just go and get them some more? You're human after all I'm sure no one would think something strange was going on if you were to stop in an alchemical shop.”

A sigh escaped Dan as he nodded his head. “That would be easier I admit but Mina would never go for it.”

“What?”

“Joseph do you remember what you were told about having a chance to leave at one point?”

“Yes.”

“Did you ever wonder why you were only given a chance to leave with an escort but no mention was made of additional chances once you were given the first?”

“I well. No I never actually thought about that. That does seem quite strange the more that I think about it.”

“I'll make this simple. Joseph I'm not allowed to leave the village without one of the girls escorting me. Generally I'll go into the forest with Mina from time to time and at times we go to the edge of the forest. I can't go beyond that though unless she's with me and taking Mina into a human town would be rather difficult.”

“What?!”

“Just what I said. I accepted that whenever I gained the fifth rank.”

At first Joseph said nothing as he looked at Dan clearly trying to guess if he was being serious or not. After a few moments he resolved that he was and the question came. “Why aren't you allowed to leave?”

“The females deem such things as unnecessary risk so we're not allowed to take them.”

“That isn't right.”

“It shocked me when I first heard it but try to look at it from their point of view. They can go hunting, take on armed soldiers, face down numerous wild creatures and eat nearly anything without really putting themselves in danger. We run into a lone nut with a dagger and have an unlucky moment and we're dead. For that reason we're not permitted to take certain risks no matter how much we may want to. That's the price you pay whenever the women grow so fond of you.”

“Does this apply to every male?”

“It applies to every human male that lives here.”

“So what about that child I saw? What if he wanted to grow up and leave the village?”

A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “That'd be hard. I don't believe the females would allow him to leave in all honesty. Well no that's miss leading there is one way to leave.”

“Which is?”

“Well in my case I'd have to be able to defeat Mina in a one on one fight.” A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “That's the price I pay for being her mate though. If a male ranked five or higher wanted to leave and he didn't have a mate he could leave by besting a female like Tera. Unless his rank exceeds seven of course.”

“What happens if their rank exceeds seven?”

“I think having to beat Mina would be the best you could hope for. You'd probably have to deal with someone even more capable.”

“That's insane! So you can't ever leave without Mina's permission and presence?”

In response Dan gave a quick nod. “Yeah that's what it amounts to and I accepted that.”

“What about her? Can she just up and leave whenever she wants to because she's stronger then you are?”

In response Dan gave his head a slight shake in the negative. “No, I'm afraid that she can't. I said that being a mate to one of the ladies is like being their husband but it's not entirely the same thing. How many husbands do you know that have the physical advantage over their wife one of them has over us?”

“I really can't think of any. Not whenever I think back to what Maria did to those soldiers and she was so small.”

In response Dan gave a nod. “As part of our agreement Mina agreed to protect me and well I agreed to let her protect me. It's kind of frustrating at times as even if I felt I could handle a threat if Mina felt the risk was too great I wouldn't be permitted to take it.”

“I see. So the only reason I'm allowed to walk to my place of work through the forest is I haven't reached a high enough level to require that level of protection.”

“No. You're wrong. The reason you're allowed to work away from the village is because they dominate this entire area. You're close enough to the market that they can pretty much insure you're safety. Anyway, here are the supplies you asked for.” As Dan finished speaking he placed a large container atop the desk.

“I see. Well I'll see you later.”

“Have a nice evening.”

***********************************************************************************

“Quit it Pera you're being annoying.”

“What are you talking about I'm not doing anything?”

Allen couldn't help but glare at Pera for a moment as he itched his ear. He knew she'd just stuck her tail tip into his ear and withdrew it before he could catch her. Unfortunately he couldn't say that as a matter of fact due to having a sister on either side of him. He could of just yelled for his mommy of course and had her break up things but that wouldn't have been very sporting. Instead he tried to focus on the game in front of him and readied his marble.

A slight chuckle escaped Pera as he once again brought her tail behind Allen. She needed to wait for the right moment to tail him and mess up his shot so that she focused on his thumb. As she saw it beginning to work she quickly drove her tail tip towards his ear. She was a bit surprised whenever she didn't get his ear but he got her tail.

As Pera had been about to poke him in the ear Allen had turned around and opened his mouth. He'd actually managed to catch hold of her tail with his teeth and was now able to see exactly who the tail belonged to. The moment he'd confirmed his suspicions he released her tail and quickly withdrew something from his pocket.

“Ah well you got.” Instantly Pera was made to go silent as she tried to pull away from Allen. Unfortunately for her she wasn't quite fast enough and she couldn't escape the cloud of powder. The suddenness of it made her inhale sharply and instantly she felt her eyes watering up as she inhaled the strong oder. “Ah!”

It was impossible for Allen not to grin as Pera began to rapidly run her hands over her nose clearly trying to clear away the powder. Physically he knew he wasn't anywhere near a match for any of his sisters even those of his age and Pera was older then him. So he had to learn to make use of other weak points if he was going to pick back when they picked on him. Their noses was an easy victim as he watched Pera working frantically to get the powder off her nose.

Stella had a wide grin on her face as she watched her son and several of his sisters playing marbles. The game had of course been reworked so the sisters wouldn't dominate too easily and at times the boys did win. Of course picking at one another was a regular event in such games. “So Mina how are you and Dan doing?”

“We're doing wonderfully! He still hasn't given up on trying. Actually I think his resolve has only improved over the years.”

“Resolve and stamina are two different things.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she shook her head. “Well that is true but at least his resolve hasn't wavered. You know we're not the only ones watching the kids playing.”

To this Stella gave a quick nod. “I believe you said his name was Joseph. He's quite interested in my little Allen. That isn't surprising though.”

“I think he's more surprised by Pera's behavior right now. She really should just go and get some water.”

“That would mean stepping away from the game and leaving her sisters there. That's as good as a loss.”

“I don't believe it would be. I doubt Allen would let them tamper with the game just to hinder Pera even if it improved his odds of winning.”

“You really think so?”

“I sure do.”

“Ah thank you. It's wonderful that you think so highly of my little boy's honesty.”

“He's a good kid.”

A slight chuckle escaped Stella as she shook his head. “Yes he is. That said I think you overestimate his honesty.”

While Stella and Mina were talking Pera found herself having to take her turn. As she held the marble between her fingers and readied herself to shoot she found herself struggling. She'd gotten a good width of the pepper Allen and blown into her face and the scent was still heavy in her nose. It made her eyes water and it made it hard to focus. Despite that she had to make sure she only hit the marbles she was allowed to knock out of the circle.

“Here you go.”

For a moment Pera grew still and glanced over at Allen. She was surprised to find he was holding a small bottle of water out to her. It was such a surprise that it took her a moment to take it from her and begin to wash her nose off with some of the water. “Thank you.”

“Not a problem.”

It was impossible for Stella not to grin as she watched her little boy. “Ah that was so sweet. I swear if Pera picks on him anymore during this game after that I'll go over there and tie her up with her own tail.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she shook her head. “I'll talk to you at lunch Stella I need to get going.”

“Where are you off to?”

“I need to check on my bunch and make sure they haven't done something stupid.”

“Here? You've got to be kidding me. Surely they know everyone here is watching them.”

“I'm not sure they do to be honest.”

“You did make it clear to them that with a war in full swing they're expendable right?”

“I did my best to impress that fact upon them but I don't think they quite got it.”

“For their sakes I hope you're wrong. I'll see you later.”

“Joseph!”

Before Joseph could respond or even see where the voice had come from he felt something wrap around his upper arms. Moments later a pressure engulfed his upper body and he was lifted off the ground. Fortunately the pressure relented before it became painful but for the moment he couldn't move his arms in the least. It was during this time though that he realized who was holding him as he glanced at her hands and noted the solid white tipped fingers. “Maria it's good to see you again.”

Before continuing Maria released her hold on Joseph. “You to! Well turn around and have a look at me.”

Instead of questioning what was going on Joseph did as he was told. He was a bit surprised to find that Maria was only slightly shorter then him now. “Wow! You're earning your height back pretty quickly.”

“Not as quickly as I'd like but yeah I'm making progress.”

“Did you find a way to fast track it?”

“Huh?”

“Ah it's nothing really. I've been learning that there are ways to fast track my advancement in the community even though I didn't know about them before hand. I'm wondering if you managed to find a way to fast track yours as well.”

“Ah yeah to an extent.”

“Really? That's good to know.”

“You actually helped me regain some of my height to be honest.”

“Me? How did I do that?”

“You helped give me a reason not to over eat and risk being punished again.”

For a moment Joseph said nothing as he felt his face warm up slightly. “I'm glad to hear that. So what are you doing in the market?”

“I came here to speak to Tera then I heard you'd been stopping by every few days in order to eat at the dining hall. I'm surprised that you haven't been coming here everyday though the food is quite good. We can't eat a whole lot so we focus on making what we can eat very enjoyable.”

In response Joseph gave a nod. “Maria this might not be the time to ask this but I've been thinking and wondering. Does having a larger body decrease your constant hunger?”

“Yeah it does! That's one reason we're all so eager to earn larger stronger bodies. That said there is an issue.”

“The larger you are the more food you need to sustain that body.”

“That's one of them but not the primary one.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “I thought as much. To reduce your hunger to the point that it's no longer a problem you would have to grow larger then the forest can sustain.”

“If all of us were to try and achieve that point yeah. It wouldn't be long at all before we stripped our homeland bare and besides. It's not like they are many places that can provide the resources this forest provides.”

While Joseph was glad Maria had answered his question part of him regretted it now. Before hand he'd thought his plant might only be a temporary fix for them. Now he knew that it would be a far longer lasting fix. “So just how large would you have to be to quiet your hunger?”

“That actually varies from female to female all of us feel it but with different intensities.”

“How intensely do you feel it?”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “I believe that I feel it far worse then normal. Like I said you before I had to be punished for consuming more then I was allowed to and growing far too large. I had a lot of reasons not to do that believe me but. They just weren't enough to stop me at the time. Anyway, enough about me. Do you have anything planned for today?”

“Well as you already know I come into town to eat. I was also going to stop by the alchemical shop and speak with Dan for a while that and Tera wants to see me.”

For a moment Maria felt her heart rate quicken as she heard the last part. “Why Tera?”

“I seem to have volunteered myself to try out some clothes they've been working on.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she calmed down. “Oh I bet you're going to love doing that.”

“Well it isn't as bad as the first time I came in. Tera is pretty good for making clothing feel comfortable it's just. I don't like it when she gets too artistic.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she noted the expression on Joseph's face. “Now I want to see what she's trying to make you wear.”

“It's rather embarrassing at times.” Before Joseph could think of what to say he felt a hand press against his chest. Moments later he realized that Maria was touching his symbol.

“I see you're coming along nicely.”

“Yeah but I still haven't gotten that fifth finger yet.”

“You should be glad you've progressed this quickly. Come on let's walk to the clothing store while we talk.”

In response Joseph gave a quick nod and began to walk while Maria followed alongside of him. “Maria how long does this mark normally take to earn?”

“That's pretty iffy to be honest. Years isn't surprising but that isn't so much do to the difficulty of moving from rank one and up. It's due to the fact that most people who come here are brought in as claimed. It's pretty hard to move past the claimed status as it's seen as you having lost your life to us.”

“What about Dan? He seemed to move from claimed to unclaimed very quickly. At least from what he told me that's how it seemed.”

“Dan managed to earn the trust and respect of Mina very quickly. That really helped him out. Earning the trust of your keeper is a major step as they themselves are pretty well respected in general.”

“It seems like a lot is based on earning the respect of the females. How does one earn the respect of the brothers?”

“Well it's mostly due to the respect of our brothers that you're where you are now. You do that by working and contributing to the community and its well being. Once you started working as an alchemist you began earning their respect.”

“I see. Maria when you first talked to me about this you said there was no such thing as a useless human. Could you give me an idea of what you meant?”

“I meant just what I said. We can make use of nearly anyone even if we have to be rather forceful about it.”

“So tell me this. Are any of the claimed ever trained in a profession?”

To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Yep they are! Though it isn't exactly easy. Most claimed have to depend on the skills they come in with. If one is trusted enough and diligent enough he can request training to be moved away from what he's currently working on.”

“I see. So if I had been brought in with no skills I could have been stuck working in the tannery and maybe later been able to request alchemical training?”

“Um well. In theory yes.”

“In theory? That isn't surprising to be honest. Alchemy takes quite a lot of study just to become competent in and you obviously expect me to earn my keep. So is there something that would be a more likely request?”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yep! There is. Keep in mind most unskilled claimed and even some of the annoying skilled ones end up in places like the tannery. We kind of dislike it there.”

“I imagine so. I've noticed how sensitive your noses are.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she gave a nod. “We really hate that place but it's needed for certain things. I mean really hate it. The vast majority of us can't even stand to go near it. Mina is something else for being able to supervise thosw that work there though even she keeps her distance.”

“How does she watch them then?”

“The vast majority of the time she just keeps an eye on the building or ear and makes sure no one tries to sneak out. She'll also check in whenever she hears something she thinks is strange or dangerous sounding. It hasn't backfired on her yet though honestly even sticking our heads into that building is more then many of us can stand.”

“Can you stand it?”

“I would need really good motivation. I nearly go to choking whenever I check inside of there.”

As Joseph was listening to Maria he had already realized the tannery would be a great place to store materials for an escape. The smell would keep most of the beast girls away as Maria had just confirmed and he doubted that those that did go inside would want to do a careful search. Humans found such places unpleasant to be in Maria's species hated it. “You know you didn't tell me what would be a more likely career to ask to be trained for.”

“Inscriptions are a possibility.”

“Huh? As in magic inscriptions?”

To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah! We have some mages amongst our brothers and at times they make use of such items.”

“You don't mean you actually teach them mage craft though. You're talking about them just making the special ink and drawing in the symbols that will later be empowered and guide the magic right?”

“You got it.”

“Huh, that is an interesting field.” As Joseph spoke he knew he'd be thinking on this later. The females such as Maria were clearly avoiding certain jobs and coming in contact with certain substances. He didn't know exactly why at the moment but it was clear that they were. He had to assume that for one reason or the other they didn't want the ink for the inscriptions exposed to themselves or perhaps they didn't want exposed to the ink.

“Hey you two!” Tera smiled as she noted Maria and Joseph walking towards her shop. “You're just in time.”

Maria was the first to speak up as she approached her friend. “Hey Tera how are things going?”

“Great now that the two of you are here!”

Immediately Maria perked up as she looked at Tera. “What do you mean the two of us?”

A slight chuckle escaped Tera as she took a step closer to Joseph and Maria. “Well I couldn't help but notice while you were walking next to Joseph you two are about the same height. Now I know you're not the same shape but you could still help me.”

Maria didn't wait for Tera to finish as she spoke up. “I am not testing your clothing. You can just forget it.”

“Oh come on Maria! It'll be fun.”

“For you!”

“Ah you know I would do it myself it I wasn't too big.”

“No.”

A sigh escaped Tera before a slight grin formed on her face. “What are you so scared of?”

“That you're going to make me look like an idiot by putting me is some incredibly silly clothing.”

“Ah don't be such a little chicken.”

“I know what you're trying to do. It's not going to work.”

“Ah! Come on surely there is something I could do to convince you? It'll go twice as fast and that means Joseph will be able to speak with you all the sooner.”

While up until now Tera hadn't managed to say anything that would get Maria's interest now she had. “Blast you! I still don't want to play dress up.”

As Joseph spoke up he placed a hand on Maria's soldier. “It's no big deal this shouldn't take very long.”

Before responding Maria bit down on the tip of her thumb for a moment as she struggled to think of what to do. “Fine. Fine I'll help with your outfits. I swear though if you make me look foolish I'll kick your tail.”

A slight giggle escaped Tera as she looked at Maria. “Now that's awfully big tal.” Once again Tera found herself silenced as Maria seemed to more vanish then anything else. It was only when Maria spoke that Tera realized where she was.

“You may be taller and much larger then me but I'm much faster then you are.”

“How? Wow! You're that fast?!” As she spoke Tera spun around. She didn't see Maria but she wasn't overly surprised that Maria had once again moved behind her.

“Yes I am.”

“I knew that after you woke up you were faster then you'd been before your punishment but I didn't realize that you were that much faster. Just how fast are you really?”

“I think the rate at which my body accelerates is easily five times faster then what it was before I was punished. My new top speed is probably three times faster.”

“You were a lot bigger then. Of course.” As she spoke Tera quickly moved towards Maria attempting to take hold of her friend with both hands. She was quite surprised whenever her arms were fully extended, her fingers were closed and the only thing she had in her hands was air.

“Of course what?” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she easily dodged Tera's movements. “You know my speed isn't the only thing that improved. So did my reaction time.”

“Well blast! I still don't believe you can kick my tail though.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she placed a finger against her cheek. “You and I could find out later.”

“That could be fun but I'm not sure if it would be permitted. I could seriously injure you if you're wrong.”

“I'll ask my mother about it later and she'll decide if it's safe enough.”

Once again Joseph chose to speak up. “Hold on you two. You're just talking about a friendly little wrestling match aren't you?”

Now Maria was made to grin as she looked at Joseph. “It depends on what you consider friendly. Our bodies are quite effective at healing themselves as long as we don't deal a lethal blow.”

As Maria finished speaking Tera chose to speak up. “It's just a bit of fun but we tend to be rougher then humans. We do have natural weapons after all. It's just that certain females aren't allowed to fight others as they could end up killing them on accident.”

“I see. So I guess Mina isn't allowed to fight many people.”

A slight giggle escaped Tera as she shook her head. “Mina wouldn't even be allowed to fight Flora!”

“Are you serious?”

To this Maria gave a nod. “Mina underwent a mutation a long time ago. Before I was even born. Her body became abnormally large not in regards to height but in regards to her muscle mass. She became far stronger then her size would indicate.”

“Maria could you tell me a bit about these mutations?”

“I suppose I could. There is a certain event. I can't tell you what the event is but suffice to say that it's very unpleasant for our bodies. During this event though we run a chance of developing a mutation or our bodies altering themselves to be more powerful. Now it isn't exactly the norm for this to happen and how drastic the change will be no one can be certain but it does happen.”

“I see. You said this event occurred whenever you were punished earlier though. Does that mean Mina was punished?”

In response Maria shook her head in the negative. “No Mina wasn't punished like I was. Mina is well Mina did something kind of strange. Whenever she was still very young she asked for permission to prepare for and then undergo the event.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Dang I wish I could tell you its name it'd make explaining this a lot easier. All well.”

“That's alright. You can volunteer for it though?”

“Yeah you can. It's something of a ceremony to be honest. You're set aside from the others and for the next few weeks to months you do the very thing we've forbidden ourselves to do. Then you willingly submit to what is ordinarily a punishment. Of course there is no guarantee that you'll develop a mutation and given how unpleasant it is most would never volunteer. Mina is something of a special case as she developed not just the will to undergo it but the desire.”

“Maria from what you've told me this punishment is quite unpleasant. What made Mina decide that she should undergo such a change?”

“I wasn't alive back then Joseph so I don't know what type of person Mina was back then so there is no way for me to go into great detail. I believe that she did it for her sisters though. When Mina underwent this change it was during a time of famine. You see when we are in the punishment state we don't take in nearly as much energy. So by choosing to put herself into that state during a time of famine Mina insured that everyone else would have more to eat.”

“But just one person. Surely she didn't make that big of a difference herself.”

“She probably didn't but it's something she felt she had to do for the good of her sisters and brothers.”

“I see. It sounds like Mina is quite a carrying person. I've met with her a few times and she's struck me as quite kind for the most part. Then I see her dealing with the claimed though and how she looks at them whenever she believes they're about to defy her.”

To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Mina does one of three things. She either cares for you a great deal, feels nothing for you whatsoever or she would rather kill you then let you live. There is really no space between any of those for how she feels. Though how much she cares can change.”

“That seems rather risky. Given how Mina treated me when I first met her I wonder how she felt about me then.”

“She was nice to you wasn't she?”

“Well yes?”

“That meant she already cared for you. She'd already decided she liked you because you were contributing to the community, you had been honest with us and you'd made some very good impressions.”

Immediately Joseph wanted to mention the plant. After all surely him denying them that plant would have given Mina a reason to greatly dislike him. However, he remembered what Tera had told him and kept his mouth shut. “So would you say she doesn't care about the claimed?”

In response to this Tera spoke up realizing that she'd be a bit more qualified then Maria who hadn't been awake for a while. “In the time I've known her Mina has proven quite willing to play big sister to the claimed even upon their first day of being brought here. It's after they do something to lose her trust that she starts treating them like animals and if the animal doesn't produce she's quite willing to kill them.”

For a moment Joseph was silent as he considered what Tera told him wanting to insure he thought it through. “Tera I can't help but find that unnerving. It makes it sound like she could decide that her little brother wasn't worth taking care of just because he accidentally broke something.”

Now Maria responded. “Ah you're taking it entirely the wrong way. The reason the claimed get such treatment is she doesn't know if they're worthy of that protection yet or not. So she protects them as a sort of act of good faith. If they prove worthy of that faith it's pretty hard for them to lose it if they prove they aren't worthy of it though she immediately decides they aren't worth worrying about.”

“Hm that is a different way of thinking about it. You did mention before that by yelling at her Dan actually hurt her feelings before and he was claimed back then as I recall.”

To this Tera gave a nod. “Yeah and believe me she was quite upset. Now that's enough talking. Come on you two it's time to help me with my designs!”

***********************************************************************************

It was impossible for Tera to keep from laughing as she leaned against the wall. Her fur had been stained red in a few areas due to her blood. She'd have to work to get that out later but a few claw marks had been worth it. It was clear to her that Maria was still quite annoyed as she walked out of the building which made it even harder for her to stop laughing. Maria had given her fair warning though and she'd chosen to ignore it. It'd been worth it though after all the injuries Maria had dealt her were only superficial.

“I can't believe she did that!”

Joseph walked silently a few paces behind Maria. The moment was still being played in his mind. Tera had asked Maria to close her eyes and extend her arms, Maria had done so. He'd started to chuckle when he realized what Tera had put on Maria. Then Maria had opened her eyes and saw what it was. The outfit had been destroyed and before he could blink Maria was on Tera going absolutely ballistic. “I take it she did that on purpose.”

“A special head piece to protect my head? A cushioned but guard for whenever I fall down oh and padded gloves? And. And.” Maria grew silent as her tail twitched violently. “Mira had something to do with this I just know it!”

Now Joseph was certain of why Maria had gotten so mad. He remembered the story Mira told about when Maria first woke up and how she slammed her head into the cave wall due to not being able to control her speed. It was also quite clear why Maria was so annoyed. Tera had actually gone through the trouble of making a special outfit just to make her mad. “Maria don't you think you might have went a little over bored back there?”

“No!”

“You cut Tera up pretty badly though.”

“Not bad enough!” As Maria yelled she realized her mistake and took a moment to take in a deep breath and calm down a bit. “Don't worry Joseph I gave her a lot of little cuts but I didn't really go deep. She'll be healed from those wounds in just a few minutes.”

“I see. So your species heals very quickly?”

“The vast majority of us do.”

“Huh? So some of you don't?”

“Ah whoops!” Immediately Maria forgot her anger as she looked around and noted several of her sisters looking at her. She was relieved whenever none of them seemed angry though some of them did shake their fingers at her. Most of them just shrugged and gave a dismissive wave.

There was clearly a slight change in mood in the environment one that Joseph noted. “I take it you just told me something that you shouldn't have.”

“Um well. Yeah I did.”

Before Joseph could respond a voice interjected. “Don't worry about it.”

In response to the voice both Joseph and Maria turned to see Stella approaching them. Allen wasn't with her at the moment though she was still keeping an eye on him or an ear to be exact. She could hear him playing with some of the sisters. “It's not like that's a major deal. Would you like to know more Joseph?”

“Well yes.”

To this Stella gave a nod. “You probably know about the possible mutations in our bodies since you've been spending time with Maria. At times these mutations come with a price though. A few of us have slower then normal healing abilities.”

“I see. Does Mina have such a slowed healing ability? She seems quite strong even compared to the wrest of you.”

In response Stella shook her head in the negative. “No Mina heals just fine from injuries. That is whenever she is injured.” A slight chuckle escaped Stella as she looked to where her friend had gone. “Mina so damn hard to injure I can't remember the last time someone actually managed to hurt her body.”

“So someone has managed to damage her body?”

“Not someone really. Some of us could injure her and some of us could beat her fairly easily but none of those that could have had the desire to try. The last time she was injured was whenever she had to face several opponents at once.”

“I see but. Do you have other larger sisters else where? I haven't seen anyone in the market yet that looks like they could match Mina in strength.”

A slight giggle escaped Stella as she shook her head. “Well I most assuredly couldn't beat her! This is the market though not the entire village.”

“Yeah but it seems like quite a few of you spend a lot of time here. It is after all an important social gathering place. From what I've learned of your social ranking four meters seems to be the height at which you can achieve maximum rank. So I was thinking it might be the maximum size you allow.”

“Hm you're right about a few things. Four meters is the height at witch a females body no longer represents her social standing. Keepers like Mina and Flora are actually higher ranked then many of the people here even if their bodies don't show it.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod. “Ah whoops sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. My name is Joseph and as I recall you're Stella.”

To this Stella gave a slight chuckle. “It's alright we don't worry about such things too much. Anyway, I need to be going my little boy is about to start looking for me. I'll see you two around.”

As Stella turned to leave Maria focused her attention back on Joseph. “Anyway, let's go and eat.”

“Yeah that sounds good. We have a bit of catching up to do. It's been a while since I saw you. I thought you said you'd be coming by to visit me.”

“I meant to! It's just that I've been rather busy to.”

“Oh? Perhaps you could tell me about what you've been doing.”

“As long as you don't ask anything I can't answer I'd be glad to. You already learned something you weren't suppose to know today.”

***********************************************************************************

“Hey could we talk for a moment?”

Joseph actually gave a slight jump upon hearing the voice. It wasn't because of it being unexpected or Joseph being distracted. Rather it was due to it being male. This also brought him to turn around rather quickly were he found what he immediately recognized as one of the claimed standing there. “I suppose so. What's on your mind?”

“We've noticed you getting along with these beast as of late. It's something else isn't it? They say that there not animals and here they are keeping up prisoner like slaves. We say the wrong thing or do something they consider out of line and we get a beat down. Then if they decide they want to have some fun with us we can't even say no. Struggling just makes them go rougher on you.”

“It sounds like you got it rather rough.”

“Humph? Me? You don't think they'd do the same thing to you?”

“So far I've found their company quite enjoyable.”

“Is that so? Just wait until you do something to piss them off and see how quickly they turn on you. Or better yet just wait until they're done playing with you.”

“If that's all you have to say I really need to be going. I have to get home.”

“Home?! Man you are lost if you think whatever they put you in is your home. This forest is our prison not our home.”

“I'll be going now.” As Joseph spoke he turned not carrying to hear what else the man had to say. As he walked away he was a bit surprised whenever the stranger didn't say anything but seemed to retreat back to wherever he'd come from. As Joseph walked away though he couldn't help but wonder just who his handler was and whether or not he had sneaked out.

***********************************************************************************

“Good morning sleepy head!”

“Gah!” It was all Joseph could do to keep himself from falling out of the hammock as he gripped the sides. Immediately he noticed laughter and looked up at Maria's smiling face as she looked down at him. “Maria? What are you doing here?”

“I came to visit you but you were asleep so I decided to wait around. You sleep a lot longer these days then whenever we first met.”

“Ah well not normally. I was up late last night.”

“Oh? What were you doing?”

At first Joseph was going to tell Maria but then he remembered some previous happenings. “I'm not sure I can tell you.”

“Huh?! Come on Joseph you can tell me. You have permission to leave whenever you want after all and besides I like to think we're friends.”

“I know but. The last few people I've mentioned this to have had rather strong reactions.”

“Hm now you have me even more curious. Come on tell me.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “I've examined my notes carefully and I'm ready to resume making the life bloom. I just need to go into the market and pick up some materials. I also made a little something.”

“Really?! It's about time you started those studies again. So this means you're going to be staying for a while?”

In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “I know I mentioned I might resume my studies a while back but now I've made up my mind.”

“Hey wait. Didn't you say you were already working on a personal project?”

“Yeah I was. That was examining my notes though. I didn't exactly make the life bloom entirely by myself. It was a team effort, however this time around it's going to have to be all me so I need to make sure I understand what I'm doing.”

“Huh? But didn't you say you left the Gale kingdom so they couldn't make the plant? If it was a team effort it means that others can do it to.”

In response Joseph shook his head in the negative. “I highly doubt it. I might not have done all the work but a pretty big chunk of the knowledge and work was mine. If I felt my work would be easy to duplicate I would have taken more drastic steps.”

“Yet you believe that you can duplicate the work of those that aided you?”

In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Indeed I do though. I was thinking about asking Dan to help me out a bit.”

“OH I see! So you've come to trust Dan enough to let him help you?”

“Well yes. They are some things I can't avoid anyway. Dan keeps track of what materials I request so he's going to know something about the life bloom regardless of my efforts. The only way around that is if I went out into the forest and gathered the materials myself.”

“You know I could help you gather the materials you need.”

“Huh?”

“I have free time you know. I could take you out into the forest and you gather up the materials you need. That way Dan wouldn't know what you had me retrieve for you. That or I could gather up some of the materials so he wouldn't know everything. They may be some things that I can't find.”

“Maria are you serious?”

“Of course I am! You think I would joke about something like that?”

“Well no. It's just not what I expected.”

Before speaking Maria took a moment to stick her tongue out at Joseph. “Well then I'd say you have a lot more to learn about me. That or you underestimated what I'm willing to do for a friend.”

“I guess I did. Thank you for the offer Maria but for now I think I'll just ask Dan for what I need. Also I need to go into down and drop off a gift.”

“Okay, let's walk there together.”

“Sure. Maria if you don't mind they are some questions I'd like to ask you. While we walk.”

“Sure.”

“Well the first question is. Would you mind stepping out while I get ready?”

“Oh!” A slight chuckle escaped Maria. “Of course I would mind. I want to watch.”

Joseph felt his skin warming up as he noted the grin on Maria's face. He tried to say something but his lips wouldn't move apparently paralyzed by the shock of what she'd just said. Fortunately for him he didn't have to say anything as Maria turned and made her way out of the room. As she walked away though he couldn't help but notice her firm pert rear and how her tail was actually lifted allowing him a better view.

“That said I'll step out anyway so you don't feel awkward.”

***********************************************************************************

“Maria I've been here for a while and I've began to wonder. Just what does the majority of you do? I know you have the keepers but what are the other jobs.”

“Hm well they're a few I can't tell you about. However, we have gatherers. These shouldn't be mistaken for hunters though. These go out in search of a specific target that it takes special knowledge to identify. We also have guardians once again though these shouldn't be mistaken for just hunters. All of us like to hunt. Guardians are ones that go out and take care of a specific threat.”

“I see. So are the guardians larger then four meters?”

“No, my sister Mira is a guardian.”

“So a keeper is expected to be more powerful then a guardian?”

In response Maria gave her head a quick nod. “Yep they are. You see they're not called keepers just because they take care of the claimed we bring in. They're also expected to maintain the peace within the market.”

“I see. Hey! When I first heard Tera and Nora talking one of them said something about not being able to fight in the market. Did that have something to do with it?”

“Yep! If they had started fighting one another there a keeper would have stepped in and broken up the fight. Of course with most keepers breaking up a fight means smacking both women around so much that they can't fight anymore.”

“I see. Um Maria do you and your sisters have a prison system?”

“Indeed we do. Though they're rarely used.”

“I see. Just what type of crime would get one of your sisters sent to your version of prison?”

“Hm let's see here. Assaulting a brother could get that or worse, theft depending on what was stolen but that's rare for us, harming one of your sisters without good cause could do it as well. Especially if the injuries were considered far too extreme but that's rather hard to do.”

“Because you heal so readily?”

“Yeah. More then likely the punishment for beating up a weaker sister would be an even more severe beating for you. Now killing a sister or brother out of malice doesn't bring on a prison term. You're killed for doing that.”

“What about an accidental death?”

“Give me an example.”

“Okay, let's say that Mina was trying to break up a fight. She uses too much of her strength and accidentally kills one of her sisters. What would happen?”

“Oh that would be terrible! Mina would be absolutely tore up if she killed someone that she didn't mean to. She's worked so hard to learn to control her strength.”

“That's not exactly what I meant.”

“Hm well. We all know how strong Mina is and a lot of people respect and admire her including our brothers. If Mina slipped up and used too much of her strength while breaking up a fight I can't see her being executed but she would be put under supervision.”

“What kind of supervision?”

“She'd be barred from interacting with anyone weaker then a guardian until she learned to control her strength again. Dan would probably be the exception. I doubt anyone would try to separate him from her. Mina is so careful to control her strength though I don't think such a slip up could really be called a criminal act.”

“Okay what if a sister failed to control her strength and accidentally killed a rank five human? One that wasn't as well respected as Mina.”

“Oh that would get you in trouble! You could be put through some intensive training and if you failed. You could be forced to undergo the same punishment I did and reduce your body.”

In response Joseph gave a slight nod. “So you take such slip ups quite seriously.”

“We have to if we're going to interact with humans. If you can't manage a powerful body then you can't be trusted with it. If you refuse to give up the body you can't handle and continue to endanger others you can and probably will be killed.”

“I see. Maria I've been told a few times you came back willingly whenever you went beyond what you were allowed. What would have happened if you didn't come back willingly.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “I would have been killed for posing too great a threat to my sisters and brothers. I didn't mean them any harm even back then but my scale posed that threat.”

“Because you would have eaten too much?”

“Yeah and don't even suggest that they could have let me remain that size. That wouldn't have been just to our other sisters.”

To this Joseph gave a slight nod. “Maria you've mentioned that Mina is very well respected yet she's limited to four meters tall. What makes one of you suitable to grow even larger then that?”

“A very powerful mutation is one of the requirements.”

“What?”

“Those that are allowed to grow even larger then four meters all have a mutation. This means that not only are they more powerful then average because of their size they also have something special.”

“Mina has a very powerful mutation from what I've scene though.”

“Indeed she does. There also has to be a need for one though. In other words one of current ones that have grown to that scale has to reduce their body or be killed. As none of them have died and none of them have done anything to cause them to be punished they haven't been any openings.”

“Ah I see. Is there any other way to gain the right to such scale?”

“Um well you could probably dethrone one of them so to speak.”

“How would you do that?”

“While only at the maximum size you're currently allowed you'd have to beat one of them in combat. This would prove that you're so superior to her physically that you should be allowed to take their spot. Of course I've never heard of such a thing happening so I don't believe it's possible.”

“From what you told me it doesn't sound very likely. Still, I don't know if it's impossible given what you told me about the mutations in your bodies. However, doesn't that mean that most of your strongest are those that had to be punished at one time or another?”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “It's odd but one of the most unpleasant things we can experience is almost required to achieve one of our most powerful bodies.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “I suppose that means that one day I could try for such a position.”

“Yeah. Does anything help determine the cause of such mutations?”

“Ah well. Nothing that we've really been able to discover despite the efforts of our brothers.”

“I suppose if they did discover what caused such mutations you'd all be receiving them.”

“Hm you know I actually remembered something. I think Mina was going to try to be one of our first sisters to defeat a matron.”

“Matron?”

“The title we give to those who've been allowed a body beyond four meters tall though they are titles even higher then matron. After all she did volunteer to undergo what we normally call a punishment in hopes of altering her body. She probably would have underwent it again if she hadn't met Dan.”

“Why wouldn't she go through it after meeting Dan?”

“Sorry! I can't tell you that.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “Blast it. I wonder if she would have developed a secondary mutation if she'd underwent the punishment again.”

In response Maria gave a slight shrug. “Probably not but who can say? The fact that she volunteered for it once is something else though.”

“So Maria why haven't I seen one of these matrons?”

“They guard things that are more important to us then the market. I imagine you've heard about them though.”

“I've heard about monsters in the forest large enough to eat a grown man in one bite.”

“With or without chewing?”

“Huh?”

“Did the stories say whether they needed to chew or not to eat a grown man?”

“I don't remember that!”

“Ah well. I wanted to know how big you humans think some of us are.”

“Are some of you big enough to eat a full grown man without chewing?”

In response to this Maria stuck the very tip of her tongue out at Joseph. “I'm not going to say.”

“Something else I'm not allowed to know?”

“No, I'm just not going to tell you.”

“Hey now! Every other time you've refused to tell me something it was because you weren't allowed to. Now you're going to start not telling me things because you want to keep me wondering?”

“Yep!”

“Come on Maria that's not very nice.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she looked at Joseph. “Deal with it.”

***********************************************************************************

“What is this for?” As Mina held the small bit of cloth up she noted several straps and a rather thick piece of material in the middle. For a moment she thought it looked like something that would go on the elbow but it wasn't cupped quite right for that and if that was the case why would Joseph had only brought her one.

“It's for your face.”

“Huh?”

“I don't mean like covering your face. Well I do actually. Here let me show you.” As Joseph spoke he held up his hand for Mina to give back the face guard. As she handed it back he pushed his fingers against the padded area. “There's some particles in here that do a really good job of filtering air. Generally it's used to block toxins but I've adjusted this one a bit so that it's even better at keeping out certain scents. That way you can go down to the the tannery and not end up choking to death.”

“Oh! Well thank you! That's a bit unusual but thoughtful Joseph. Just going inside of the tannery saturates my fur. I'd be able to smell it all over me once I left.”

“True but couldn't that be solved with a good bath after you checked inside the tannery?'

“Hm that is true.”

“If you don't like it that is fine. Still, after what I've been told about the tannery I thought it'd be a good idea if you could check inside of it once in a while. You don't have to go there everyday just slip on that mask and check it out once in a while.”

Mina was quiet as she retrieved the mask from Joseph and looked it over. She really hated the idea of going into the tannery and she wasn't certain the mask would block out the smell. “I guess with this I can't really justify not checking inside the building. It would be safer if I did as well but.” For a moment Mina was made to shudder. “I hate thinking about what would happen if it doesn't work.”

“I thought about that as well so I brought this as long.” As he spoke Joseph reached into the crate Maria had carried for him and retrieved a small yellow bottle. “I assure you the scent in here is as strong as anything as you'd find in a tannery.” As he spoke Joseph began to open the bottle to prove his point. Before he could remove the cap though his hand was engulfed in Mina's and Maria's.

It was impossible for Maria to contain herself as she held Joseph's hand. “Don't do that!”

“Huh?”

“I could smell it the moment you began to remove the cap.” As Maria spoke it was a struggle to keep from closing her eyes and trying to shake off the scent. The smell had been far stronger then she'd been ready for.

While Joseph had known the ladies had a very strong sense of smell he was surprised to see both of them responding to the smell. Mina's right eye was closed and her teeth were partly exposed while Maria's expression kept changing. “Sorry about that.”

Now Mina was made to shake her head. “Joseph, I don't know if this is a good idea. If I put on that mask and it doesn't stop the smell of that bottle when you open it.” For a moment Mina shuddered and placed a hand on her stomach. “I already feel sick. I really don't want you to open that bottle.”

“Mina I assure you that the mask will block the smell.”

“No. Don't open it. I'll just take your word for it.” As she spoke Mina retrieved the mask and gave her head a slight shake. “Never open that thing in the market!”

For a moment Joseph was made to jump as for a moment Mina looked deadly serious. “Uh sure.”

Before Joseph could say anything else Maria spoke up. “Joseph believe me you have no real idea what a scent like that is to us. It felt like my nose started to burn whenever you removed the cap. If you want to see some of us in a really bad mood open that up. You'll probably end up losing whatever hand is holding the bottle.”

“I didn't realize your sense of smell was that strong. I'm sorry.” Even as Joseph spoke he realized that he'd just found a weapon against the ladies. Though he didn't know how effective it would be in all out combat it was clear that it had quite a profound affect. It made him wonder how many had tried to use their own noses against them and if it would truly work. “I'll destroy the contents of this bottle as soon as I can.”

To this Mina gave a quick nod. “Thank you! Oh my head.” A sigh escaped Mina as she lowered herself to a seated position and placed a hand on her forehead. She'd actually gotten it a bit worse then Maria as the wind had been blowing in her direction.

As Maria watched Mina sink to the ground she spoke up. “Would you like for me to go and get you some cold water?”

“Well yeah, no no. I'll be fine. Just give me a few you don't need to trouble yourself.”

“No trouble I'll be back in a second.”

***********************************************************************************

“So what made you decide to make Mina that mask?”

“I was just trying to do some people a favor.”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “So you decided to help us out by making it so we could search the tannery? Well making it easier on us.”

“From the way I see it I've done the claimed and you all a favor.”

“Oh? How did you do the claimed a favor?”

“I really doubt that they can escape through the forest and well I imagine being brought back whenever you're already claimed has quite a steep punishment. It seems far more prudent to wait until you're no longer claimed and then try to make your escape without any hindrance from you all. After all you wouldn't hunt down an unclaimed trying to escape.”

“That's an interesting way of looking at it. How do you think giving that mask to Mina will keep others from trying to escape though?”

“I'm not sure if it will but whenever I first learned of the tannery I realized something. That building would be the perfect place to hide things that they don't want you girls to find. You avoid it on your own and you even avoid those that work there for a while after they've come out.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she nodded her head. “It's common knowledge amongst my sisters and myself that the tannery is a major liability. It's just so hard for us to go in there though. Would you believe that at times someone is forced to check it out as a form of punishment?”

“I'd believe it. Often the least pleasant tasks are used as a form of punishment. So do you think that Mina will use the mask to check the tannery more often now?”

“Yeah I believe that she will. She's far too devoted not to now that she has a means to make the experience less painful for her. That said, I doubt she'll be checking it more then once a month even with the mask. I can only imagine how she's going to work up the nerve to put on the mask and go in there for the first attempt. You do realize that she's going to be quite mad at you if that masks fails horribly?”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he nodded his head. “Yeah I realize that. However, I'm quite confident in my design. That masks is something that alchemist actually use while working with very toxic reactions that produce a vapor. If I can trust masks like that to protect my life I can trust it to protect Mina's nose. I am curious about something though. Why haven't your brothers provided you with such materials before?”

To this Maria gave a slight shrug. “I don't know. Most likely no one has ever thought of it. I know I wouldn't have thought of wearing a masks.”

To this Joseph gave a nod. “It would be like me choosing to put on a blind fold because there was a very powerful light source blinding me.”
Chapter 4 by happiest_in_shadows

    “Yeah. I really don't know how good of a search Mina will be able to give the building without the use of her nose to be honest though.”

    “I doubt that it's going to matter. If they are hiding things there they've realized that your sense of smell might be a major advantage in most situations but it's a major liability in there.”

    A slight giggle escaped Maria as she nodded her head. “Very true.”

    “Maria I hope you don't mind me asking this but would hindering your sense of smell hurt you in combat?”

    “Would constantly slamming you with deafening sound hinder you in combat?”

    “Well yes.”

    “Then you have your answer.”

    To this Joseph gave a slight nod. “Has anyone ever tried to use it against you?”

    “Not that I know of but there could be instances of it happening.”

    “So they're conflicts you don't know about?”

    “Well I like to believe I know the history of my people fairly well but I don't know everything. We've been around a while and there could have been a situation during which someone used our noses or ears against us. As we're still here though I can only assume that it failed horribly.”

    “That is true. Maria I'm sorry that I didn't have a gift for you today but Mina's was easier to make. I actually have something in mind for you but it's going to take a while.”

    “Really?!”

    “Yes.”

    “Oh neat! If it's going to take a while that means it's going to be something nice. Well such things tend to be.”

    “You'll have to wait and see.” As Joseph spoke he reached out and opened the door to the alchemy shop. Instead of just walking in though he opened the door and proceeded to step to the side.

    At first Maria wasn't certain what Joseph meant for her to do. As she noted the open doorway though she was reminded of a human custom and was made to give a slight chuckle. “Just don't think I'm going to let you do this for me very often.”

    “Don't worry.” As Joseph spoke he proceeded into the alchemy shop slightly behind Maria.

    Dan had of course noticed Maria entering the shop and wasn't surprised to see Joseph coming in behind her. He also took note of the crate Maria was packing with her. “Making another delivery Joseph?”

    “Yeah. Though I have to wonder what these healing potions are used for.”

    In response Dan gave a slight shrug. “Food storage really.”

    “What?”

    “Healing potions contain a far greater amount of energy per volume and weight ratio then any natural food stuff we might store here. Though they are some draw backs that prevents humans from using them as a food source that doesn't hold true for their species.” As he spoke Dan indicated Maria. 

    “So they don't suffer from the build up of mystic energy in their systems?”

    “Nope they metabolize all of the energy.”

    For a moment Joseph was silent as he took a moment to consider what Dan had just told him. “Most of this time I've thought I've been making healing potions in case someone was injured. Of course I didn't consider who might be injured and why they'd need such a large supply. It never occurred to me that the potions could be used for an energy source.”

    In response Dan gave a nod. “When I first began working here I thought that perhaps their brothers were extremely weak. Maybe the potions had to be used to sustain their lives. When I learned that wasn't the case I was quite surprised.”

    “Yeah, so what do they plan on doing with the healing potions?”

    “It's just an emergency food supply to them.”

    Now Maria chose to speak up. “Not true!”

    In response Joseph quickly glanced to Maria. “Huh?”

    “Once we get enough potions stored away we'll have a celebratory feast. We'll empty out several store houses that contain preserved vegetables and meat and just gorge ourselves until it's all gone.” As she finished speaking Maria's tongue flicked out of her mouth and ran along her lips for a moment. “It's really a quite wonderful event though I've only been allowed to experience one of them.”

    In response Dan gave a slight nod. “My bad I forgot about the festival of plenty. That's quite rare though.”

    A sigh escaped Maria as she nodded her head. “Yeah.”

    It was impossible for Joseph not to ask as he looked at Dan. “Just how much more healing potions do they need until they can hold the festival?”

    “A lot. They don't take very many risks whenever it comes to their food supplies. We'd have to nearly triple what we have in storage now before the festival could become a possibility.”

    “How long of a food supply would that amount to in healing potions?”

    “Ten years.”

    Before Joseph could ask anything Maria turned to him and spoke up. “We've never had a famine last for ten years really. At least we've never had one last for ten solid years but we have had them last for a few years. So our brothers try to plan for the worse possible scenario.”

    “Were you alive during any of these famines?”

    “Nope. None have happened within my sleeping or awake life time.”

    “What about your mothers?”

    “Yeah she experienced one and she told me and my sister about it. Don't get me wrong though it wasn't a major deal. It just involved dipping into the supply of healing potions for a few months in order to keep everyone healthy.”

    “Was that when Mina chose to undergo what is normally reserved as a punishment?”

    “Yeah.” A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “My mother actually regrets that she didn't follow Mina down that path. I'm sure that many of our sisters wishes they'd made a similar decision.”

    “You were all okay though.”

    “Yeah we were but what does it say about us when she was able to give up so much while we weren't?”

    “I'm sure that most of you had very good reasons for not following the same path Mina did.”

    “Thanks.”

    As Dan listened to this he chose to speak up. “Maria keep in mind that Mina doesn't think much of her decision. You see she really didn't have much to lose at the time. She wasn't a keeper at the time, she didn't have any children of her own or family really to speak of. She didn't feel like she had anything to lose at the time so she chose to make things easier on everyone else.”

    After Dan had finished speaking Joseph spoke up once again. “See Maria there is no reason to be hard on your mother. But Dan what do you mean Mina didn't have any family to speak of?”

    “I'll tell you but you're not to talk about it anywhere that Mina might hear you and especially not around Mina.”

    “Okay then.”

    “Mina's mother was killed during a confrontation with intruders in the forest.”

    “Killed? By what?”

    “It was during a confrontation with humans. The famine that affected their people didn't just affect them it also affected humans. While the forest was in a state of decline it was still far more fruitful then much of the surrounding land so that several groups of humans moved on the forest. Mina's mother lost her life during one of the fights with the invaders.”

    For a moment Joseph was silent only speaking after a minute had passed and a head shake. “That's something else to hear. After seeing Maria handle those soldiers so easily and seeing some of the ladies the idea that humans could kill them sort of slipped away.”

    Now Maria chose to speak up. “We're not immortal and our strength and endurance has its limits as does our speed.”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “I know, it's just that you tore through armor so easily. Do you have any idea what killed Mina's mother?”

    To this Dan gave a slight shrug. “If you're looking for some remarkable revelation I'm afraid that you won't find it. There was a confrontation in which our and their people fought one another. Mina's mother got ahead of her sisters and was overwhelmed.”

    “You mean she pushed too far into enemy lines?”

    In response Dan gave a nod. “That's what I've been told. They're not sure what happened to her beyond a certain point only that they found a corpse. Mina was pretty hurt by it and with the famine taking hold. Well she didn't believe she had anything to lose at the time.”

    “Dan I get the idea that this punishment last for a very long time. I've talked to others about it before and whatever it is seems to last for at the very least days probably even weeks.”

    “You have no idea.”

    “Longer?”

    Before Dan could speak up Maria spoke up. “Yeah longer then weeks. How many weeks varies. Mine lasted for a very long time.”

    “I see.”

    “No. I don't believe you do Joseph. That's okay though we haven't told you enough about us for you to fully understand. One of these days if you're here long enough though and I'll tell you.” Maria gave a smile as she looked at Joseph.

    “Thanks Maria. Anyway Dan, I need some supplies for my own studies.”

    “Sure thing. Oh shit!” As Dan spoke he quickly reached under the desk and retrieved the bracelets, necklaces and anklets he'd had the ladies wearing before. “Maria put these on quick.”

    Dan didn't actually have to tell her to put on the jewelery. The moment they were on the desk Maria realized her mistake and quickly began to put them on. “Sorry! I'm so sorry. I wasn't thinking.”

    “It's okay Maria. Everything should be fine this place is set up for mistakes. Just get them on quick.”

    “Yeah I know but. Sorry I should have been thinking.”

    As Joseph watched Maria putting on the jewelery he was amazed by the urgency with which she put them on. Clearly she'd made a rather big blunder. “Maria this isn't something you can get in trouble for is it?”

    Instead of Maria answering Dan spoke up. “No. It's a pretty big mistake though. If she does get in trouble I'll have a lot of explaining to do as well but don't worry. Worse case scenario we both lose a lot of free time for the next few weeks.”

    “Because you'll be confined?”

    “No. Nothing that harsh.”

    A sigh escaped Maria as she slipped on the jewelery. “Okay let's go make sure there wasn't any damage done.”

***********************************************************************************

    It had been a while since Carter had been away from his lab. Normally his research kept him quite busy though he was glad to do it. He'd received a request for some aid though and now found himself knocking on the door of one of the smaller workshops. As the door opened up he took a moment to appraise the opener. “Good day. I was told you needed help from a mage.”

    It took Joseph a moment to respond as he found himself not looking at a human but rather looking at an elf. He'd actually expected another human or perhaps even one of Maria's brothers so an elf was quite a surprise. Upon realizing he was staring he gave his head a quick shake. “Yeah. I need some help with one of my projects. I have to say though I didn't expect an elf.”

    “Oh don't let the ears full you! I'm only a quarter elf actually.”

    “Ah I see. Still, not quite what I was expecting. Please come inside though. My name is Joseph.”

    “I'm Carter.” As Carter entered the workshop his attention was drawn immediately to a rather large container. He wasn't certain what was inside of it but it was clear an alchemical reaction was going on inside of it. Around the container was a thick sheet of white cloth. He could still sense the magic coming from the area though. “I see you have the glyph prepared already.”

    “Yes at least the best I'm able to do so. I was thinking about requesting some mystic essence to get the reaction going but I thought a mage would be a better choice. Same result with far less work and expense.”

    “Indeed. You seem to have concealed the glyph though.”

    “Yes I'm sorry but I'm trying to keep as much of this a secret as I can.”

    “Not a problem. What exactly do you need me to do?”

    “I just need you to channel some energy into the glyph. Enough to awaken it fully. From that point on the formula and the glyph should take over.”

    “This should only take a moment then.”

    In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Yeah, I just hope that I drew the glyph correctly.”

    “I take it you've taken measures to insure our safety if you haven't.”

    To this Joseph gave a nod. “The cloth covering the glyph was soaked in a energy absorbing solution for five days before I called you. If they energy goes out of control the cloth should absorb it. I also triple checked all my etchings to insure they're correct.”

    “I see. So have you worked with glyphs before?”

    “Of course! They're the only way to get certain reactions done if you don't have a mage or scrolls handy.”

    “Would it be possible for me to see some of your works?”

    “I thought you'd want to check my knowledge to insure the quality of my work. I went ahead and sketched out a few for you to see.” As he was speaking Joseph retrieved a few strips of paper from a near by desk and flipped them over.

    In response Carter picked up the pages and began to thumb through them. “A one shot healing glyph, a wind barrier, a frost spell and huh a rather weak but long duration flame spell. These all look quite viable.”

    “I'm glad you approve. All they need really is a mage to energize them and to be made of the proper ink.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Carter as he nodded his head and put the papers down. “I noticed that you didn't use the right kind of ink to actually hold magic. I suppose that was intentional.”

    “Of course! That stuff is hard to make and hard to come by.”

    “Indeed. Well it doesn't seem likely that your glyph will fail horribly though I still wish I could see it. Anyway, let's get it energized so your reaction can get underway.”

    “Thanks.”

    As Joseph watched Carter walk over to the table he kept a close eye on him. Joseph wasn't a mage but he could tell when something was going wrong by the alchemical reaction. If things did go wrong he had no intention of staying within the building fortunately Carter's job was quite simple. The mage slipped one of his hands underneath the cloth and began to channel energy into the glyph he'd prepared under it. “So how did you come to be here exactly?”

    “I was born here.”

    “What?!”

    A slight chuckle escaped Carter as he looked at Joseph. “My father was a half elf that ended up in the forest. He ended up encountering some of the ladies and pissing them off. Instead of sticking around and working his way out of the claimed status though he took another path.”

    “Another path?”

    “Yeah hasn't anyone told you? There is one very quick way to remove the title of claimed from yourself. At least in theory it's quick.”

    “I sure haven't heard of it! What is it?”

    “You have to get one of the females pregnant. A life for a life so to speak. If you lay with one of them and they conceive a child you instantly move away from the status of claimed. Of course, you have to be desirable enough to one of the females that they're willing to lay with you to begin with.”

    “Are you serious?”

    “Indeed I am.”

    At first Joseph said nothing as he took a moment to consider what this meant. “When do they normally tell you about this life for a life deal?”

    “Whenever one of the females decides that she would like to lay with you and attempt to conceive a child by you. My father was rather fortunate I suppose as my mother found him desirable fairly quickly.”

    “Hm I guess that means I'm not attractive enough for any of them.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Carter as he gave his head a slight shake. “I wouldn't say that you're just not claimed. Besides they are other conditions.”

    “Could you tell me what those are?”

    “Sorry but I don't feel like being tied into knots for saying to much.” A sigh escaped Carter as he removed his hands from under the paper. “I believe that has it.”

    “Yeah the potion seems to be responding properly.”

    “So is that all you needed help with?”

    In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Yeah I just didn't have the mystic training to get the glyph fully awakened without mystic essence.”

    “Not a problem. Well I cleared my calendar in case this took longer so I guess I'll head to the market.”

    “Thanks for coming Carter. I'm going to have to stay here for a while.”

***********************************************************************************

    “I can't believe you forgot to bring a supply of food.” A sigh escaped Maria as she rubbed her forehead while watching Joseph. “You're lucky I've grown fond of coming to visit you.”

    Joseph was actually blushing as he took another spoon fool of soup. “I thought I had everything. I mean I brought clothing, a place to sleep I even brought some additional supplies so I could keep myself cleaned up.”

    “Yet while making sure you're sleeping conditions and hygiene were taken care of you didn't think of what you were going to eat.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “That's not exactly the priorities list my people would show.”

    “Well it's not like you worry about clothing very much.”

    “True.” As Maria finished speaking she hopped off the chair she'd been setting on and walked over to the container where the reaction was going on. Inside she noted several seeds though she couldn't tell what the solution they were in was. She also took note of the energy that was currently running throughout the container. “So what kind of seeds are those?”

    “At this point? You really couldn't call them any type of seed. If the reaction works properly they'll be the seeds for the life bloom. If things don't occur properly they'll be mush.”

    “Really?!”

    “Yep.”

    “That's wonderful! Oh and don't worry I won't tell anyone.”

    “Thanks.”

    “So what's going on inside of there anyway?”

    “They're being mutated. You see the life bloom is in some respects a natural plant but not entirely. It also has a incorporeal side that reaches into the elemental plains of existence.”

    In response Maria gave a slight nod. “I see. So you've altered the plant so that it taps into the mystic plains then begins to siphon the energy into the fruit. It doesn't stop there though but rather the way the plant has been changed also forces the energy to change taking on a state similar to that of a healing spell. I wonder. Did you pick the fruit that would be altered first or did you develop a baseline formula and work from there?”

    For a moment Joseph found himself staring at Maria as he took in what she'd just said. “That's right and well. I chose the plant first.”

    “Neat! So what's the plant? The seeds don't look like anything I've seen before but I assume that's due to the alternations.”

    “They were plum seeds at a given time. Maria where did all of that come from?”

    “Where did what come from?”

    “For a moment there you sounded like you'd received some alchemical training.”

    “Ah well.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she turned to face Joseph. “I was keeping an eye on you for a while after all. I have to know enough to make sure you don't blow anything to bits.”

    “So you have received some training in alchemy?”

    “Just a little bit. I could probably tell whenever a reaction was about to explode. Of course those tend to have very obvious warning signs.”

    “I see. That's quite impressive.”

    “Thanks! So when do you think the life bloom will be ready?”

    “You mean when the first seed will start growing I assume. I can't be certain.”

    “Huh? Why not?”

    “I don't know if any of the seeds will survive the transformation. The alternation is pretty extreme and the vast majority of the seeds just won't be able to endure the transformation. They'll come out as mush instead of a seed.”

    “Ah! I see. I guess that is one of the advantages of working with plants. You don't have to worry about how many of them you sacrifice.”

    In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Exactly. I'm trying to figure out how to make the process more reliable but that's going to take quite a while. Fortunately your people don't seem to have any shortage of plum seeds. That said if this batch doesn't work out it'll be at least three weeks before I'm ready to try again. I'll need to examine the remains and try to figure out how to improve their odds of survival.”

    “Ah you couldn't start another batch while examining the remains and hope to get lucky?”

    “That would be a bit much. As you noticed already I've set myself up so I don't have to be away from the workshop. I have to keep this reaction under careful observation if it's going to have any real chance at success. Plus that would be rather wasteful.”

    “You know the reaction probably isn't going to succeed if it fails this time but there is still a chance. Besides how would it be wasteful?”

    “Maria these materials aren't exactly easy to come by.”

    “Are you sure about that?”

    “I believe I know what I'm talking about when it comes to alchemy.”

    “I don't know. You seemed to think many of the materials we provided you with were rare. Are you sure that what you're thinking of as rare isn't fairly common here? Did you ask Dan about all the materials and find out which ones truly were rare?”

    “I well. Actually, I didn't really think about it. I just listed the materials I needed and volume then he provided them. Well you may have a point. I should probably talk to him and find out what truly was rare.”

    In response Maria gave a quick nod. “I bet you asked for some materials you didn't need and didn't give the exact volumes.” As she spoke Maria was made to grin as she examined the shelves.

    “Ah well.”

    A slight giggle escaped Maria as she stuck her tongue out at Joseph and walked over to one of the shelves. She then proceeded to retrieve a tiny package of dried roots. “Do you need this?”

    “Actually, um no.” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he rubbed the back of his neck for a moment. “Hey! What are you doing?”

    “Hum?!” Maria couldn't respond verbally as she'd already filled her mouth up with some of the contents from the package.

    “Those aren't edible!”

    “Joseph, remember when we first met.”

    “Well yeah but, those are, I don't see how you could.” For a moment Joseph grew silent and rubbed his forehead. “Can you really eat those safely?”

    “Yep! They taste pretty good once they've been dried and processed like this.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “I swear. The amount you just ate would be enough to kill a small village if the toxins were extracted.”

    “You humans don't know what you're missing out on due to weak digestive systems. This stuff actually taste quite good. Kind of sweet but with a nuttiness to it.”

    “I'll have to take your word for it. Hey wait a minute. Isn't that a breach of your diet?”

    “Well a little bit.”

    “Maria you shouldn't be doing that. I still remember how upset you were when you weren't allowed to eat breakfast while I was living with the three of you. You looked so frustrated and well hungry.”

    “Ah don't worry about it! This little snack won't hurt me.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he walked towards Maria. He didn't know what was going on but before he realized what was happening he'd reached out and tried to take hold of the bag. Of course he only ended up grasping air. “Maria, you need to stick to your diet.”

    It was easy to see what Joseph was doing though it surprised Maria that he would try such a thing. Still she was grinning from ear to ear as she looked at him. “If you want it you're going to have to take it from me.”

    “Maria don't be stubborn about this. I'm only trying to help you. Now give me back the roots.”

    “Um no.” As she spoke Maria gave a slight giggle and quickly pressed off the ground easily leaping to the far wall of the room. She then proceeded to take another handful of the dried roots and pop them into her mouth. “If you want to stop me you're going to have to catch me.”

    “I can't be chasing you around in here and you know it. Further more you know that I can't catch you.”

    “Mhm.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she ate another handful of the roots.

    Despite what he had said Joseph found himself walking towards Maria as if trying to get her in a corner. She seemed to have realized this though and was already moving around the room easily out pacing him while still snacking on the roots. “Aren't you worried that one of your sisters will smell the roots on your breath?”

    “Hm well not really. After all this is just a little extra.”

    “I bet you told yourself that before you were punished.” It actually surprised Joseph whenever Maria suddenly stopped moving and looked strait at him.

    “Well you have me there.” A sigh escaped Maria as she held up the bag. “It's just a little extra though and we're allowed to breach our diet once in a while.”

    “Maria I don't believe it's a good ideal for you to be the one deciding when it's okay to breach your diet.”

    “I. I know you're right. Okay here you go.” As she spoke Maria walked towards Joseph and held up the bag for him to take.

    As Joseph took the bag from Maria he didn't mention how much she'd diminished the contents. Rather he found himself wearing a grateful grin. “Maria could you tell me more about how much you're allowed to eat. Perhaps I could help you.”

    “Um sure. How do you intend to help me though?”

    “It's simple. It's probably not a good idea for you to decide when you can breach your diet. That said it is commonly difficult to stick to such a rigid scheduled. So I'll help you out and try to work out a plan that'll let you eat a little extra every once in a while without breaking your diet.”

    At first Maria was silent as she looked at Joseph only speaking after several minutes had passed as she thought this over. “That sounds a little strange. Normally friends are expected to help you stick to the rigid diet.”

    “I don't believe that'll work out very well. It just leads to you sneaking off and snacking like you did with your sister before you encountered me. Like you were doing just now in a sense.”

    “Ah well you maybe right. I don't know about this. It still seems kind of strange but I'm willing to give it a shot.”

    “I believe this will help you in the long run. That said. I don't believe you'll be snacking anymore today after eating this many roots. Just enjoy your regular meal.”

    “Are you going to eat with me?”

    “Yeah just give me a chance to check on the reaction and balance anything out that needs tweaked.”

***********************************************************************************

    As Dan pressed the heavy brush against Mina's back he remembered what she'd told him about being gentle. Namely she'd told him not to be gentle in the least. So he found himself leaning his full weight into the brush as he moved it up and down over her back working up a thick layer of suds. “Mina I swear I can't smell anything on you.”

    “I'm not taking this mask off until you at least finish with my back!”

    A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he noted the look Mina was giving him. She'd taken three very thorough baths since coming back and yet she still wasn't willing to take the mask off. She'd finally asked him to wash the parts of her back she couldn't easily reach to insure the sent was gone. “So what are you going to do?”

    “I'm going to thank Joseph for the mask and then I'm going to have a word with those sneaks.”

    “I suggest you don't tell them where you got the mask though I'm certain they've seen you wearing it. They're going to be quite upset about this.”

    “So what? Do you believe they'll try something?”

    “They might try to make Joseph pay for making you that mask. After all if it hadn't been for that I doubt you'd found their stash.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Mina. “I wonder if they're really that stupid.” A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “I can't believe how badly I messed up.”

    “Huh?”

    “Dan I told you what was in that building. They'd built up quite a bit of supplies and I allowed it because I couldn't stand to go in there and deal with the scent.”

    “Mina you can't help your nose.”

    “I can learn to deal with it at least deal with it better.”

    “Now Mina there is no need for that. I just wish I had thought to provide you with a mask. I feel like I let you down when I think about it.”

    “Dan you don't have any reason to feel that way. You've helped me plenty.” As she spoke Mina finally unstrapped the mask and removed it from her face. As she took off the mask she found herself taking careful sniffs of the air. “Like just now. You helped insure I didn't want to put this mask on as soon as I took it off.”

    “Well I'm glad to help where I can.”

    “And now that you helped me get cleaned off.” A slight giggle escaped Mina as she quickly reached around and took hold of Dan. She didn't bother waiting for him to respond before she tossed him into the water. “It's time for me to help you!”

***********************************************************************************

    As Joseph examined his gloves he was made to sigh slightly. A rather noticeable portion of the material was missing where he'd made a slight mistake. Some of the contents from the reactionary flasks had gotten onto his gloves and actually began to alter the material. If it hadn't been for Maria he would have contaminated the reaction. That wasn't what Maria was worrying about though.

    “Joseph are you alright?” As Maria spoke she placed a hand behind Joseph's head and began to feel for any damage. She'd been forced to pull him back rather quickly whenever she'd noticed a discharge from the container while Joseph had been adding some reagents.

    “Yeah I'm fine. Thanks for saving the reaction Maria.”

    “The reaction?! I was saving you! What happened just now.”

    “I'm sorry. There was a bit more energy in the solution then I realized. Whenever I went to add some more reagents they responded rather strongly and some of it erupted in a sense.”

    “Look at what it did to your gloves. What would have happened if that got on you?”

    “I would be missing a decent portion of my hand.”

    “Yet that's all the safety measures you took to avoid the reaction?!”

    “Ah well my gloves were enough. It's not like the reaction was strong enough to destroy them.”

    “That's not acceptable! How did you make such a big mistake.”

    With the pain in his back fading away from where Maria had jerked him out of the way Joseph began to raise to a seated position. “Well the transformation is rather experimental. I can't predict everything perfectly.”

    A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “I'll tell you what. Next time I'll be the one to add the reagents for you. You just tell me what to add and how much.”

    “Maria you don't need to worry I would have been fine even if you hadn't been here.”

    “This time maybe but who knows about next time? When you first made the life bloom you had others helping to insure your safety didn't you?”

    “Well yes but they were trained alchemist and mages.”

    “I may not be an alchemist or mage but I can help you at least. So long as it doesn't involve.” Immediately Maria bit down on her lower lip. “I can help you with most situations.”

    “Huh? Maria what were you about to say.”

    “I can't tell you. Anyway, I can add things to the reaction for you now that it's going. I don't want to catch you taking such a risks again.”

    “Maria I'm not going to let you take the risks for me.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she looked at Joseph. “Then it's a good thing that for me there is no real risks in doing such things. I wouldn't have even needed those gloves to deal with that little miss hap.”

    “Maria these gloves are made from specially treated dire spider silk.”

    “That's nothing compared to what I can endure. If you don't believe me you can feel free to test it.”

    As Maria was speaking there was supreme confidence in her voice. Joseph didn't know if this was just arrogance or not but it was clear she believed she could. “Actually, Maria I have been wondering. Would it be possible for me to run some test on you? I have to admit your species biology has interested me from the moment I began to learn about it.”

    “I think that might be a bit much Joseph. I wouldn't mind but I don't think my sisters or brothers would allow it.”

    “I see.” A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “That's not surprising though. However, if you are serious about helping me I will need to test and see if you can withstand as much as you say.”

    A slight giggle escaped Maria as she gave a nod. “Go right ahead. How would you like to start?”

***********************************************************************************

    What was Maria and her kind made of? Was the dominant though in Joseph's mind as he looked towards the roof. He had used some very powerful solvents on Maria and it didn't even seem to affect her fur. What's more those few that did seem to have affected her only seemed to change the color of her fur. She then easily washed it away as if he'd poured nothing but food coloring on it.

    “It takes a lot to affect my species.” Had been Maria's claim and she'd been right. As Joseph looked towards a desk he could swear he could see her standing there. Her hand held within an open flame and the fire failing to even singe her fur. She'd held it there until it was clear that such heat wasn't sufficient to harm her and then she'd withdrew her hand gave a slight chuckle and asked him if he wanted to see if her hand was hot.

    Of course he'd taken her up on her offer. When he'd touched her fur though he'd found it felt like it always did. Warm but not hot. That wasn't the only thing that had him thinking. Maria's little display had impressed him he only knew of a few creatures that were so resistant to damage. After she'd left though he'd noticed a few strands of her fur where she had set. It was only a few strands but he had decided to do some testing.

    The bits of fur that Maria had left behind had burned and been broken down with ease. It had been as if the fur was just normal hair. He didn't have a large enough sample to do all the test that he'd like but the implications was clear. The fur on Maria's body was extremely resistant to damage however once it fell off it was no where near as durable. So it seemed that her body did more to protect her fur then her fur did to protect her.

    Was that accurate though? It was also possible that as her fur got older it wore out and had to be replaced. So of course the fur she shed wouldn't be as durable as that still upon her body. There was also the possibility that what he thought was Maria's fur was something else though he doubted that. The coloring had been the same as her fur and it wasn't like he had any carpeting or animals in his workshop to cause confusion.

    He wished he had a larger sample to work with. Unfortunately upon searching his workshop in great detail he wasn't able to find anymore fur. This brought up questions as well though. Surely Maria had shed some fur in his lab before she'd spent so much time there it seemed impossible. If she hadn't though did she intentionally leave behind a few strands to confuse him? Why would she do that though? He was able to put these fears to wrest easily though upon looking at his cleaning supplies.

    The reason he couldn't find any of her old fur in the workshop was because he kept it so clean. It was a force of habit and a requirement to do his job safely. It was actually a relief though whenever he noted a knocking on the door though he did feel his heart rate speed up. “Who's there?”

    “It's Mina Joseph I need you to open the door.”

    In response Joseph quickly climbed out of his makeshift bed and made his way over to the door. Upon opening it up he found himself staring directly at Mina's crotch and was made to blush as he had forgotten to look upwards. He quickly corrected this. “Yeah Mina?”

    Before speaking Mina bent at the knees and lowered herself to a squatted position to make herself closer to Joseph's eye level. “Joseph are you currently working on anything that would tie you to your workshop?”

    “Huh? What is going on?”

    “Just answer the question.”

    “Well I am working on.” For a moment Joseph grew silent and looked back at the container. “On a project that requires me to be on hand to insure nothing goes wrong.”

    “Blast!” A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “Okay Joseph I'm going to need to assign someone to keep an eye on you. I hope you don't mind.”

    “Mina what's going on?”

    “Allen was assaulted.”

    “Allen? You mean Stella's little boy?!”

    In response Mina gave a quick nod. “Yeah I went to search the tannery using that mask you gave me. I found a lot of supplies hidden there and removed them. I thought that after I confronted the claimed they would back down and behave but it seems I only made them desperate. Some of them tried to take a hostage and well Allen happened to be at hand.”

    “Is he okay?”

    In response Mina gave a nod. “Yeah. Pera insured that he was safe.” 

    “Pera? Isn't she just a child?”

    Despite the situation this made Mina grinned as she shook her head. “Joseph that child removed the arms of three fully grown human males in less then five seconds for threatening her friend. Unfortunately shortly after that incident we found several other strange happenings. Namely many of the claimed have gone missing and we're having trouble tracking them.”

    “How is that possible?”

    “At this moment we're not sure. Their scents are proving difficult to track though and listening for them is impossible with that blasted ringing.”

    “Ringing?”

    A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “I'll have to explain later. Right now we're gathering up all the males though and moving them to the dining hall in the market while we search for the escapees we don't want to risk them taking anymore hostages.”

    To this Joseph gave a nod. “I don't know if the reaction will be alright but I don't want to cause you undo trouble. The reaction can be restarted.”

    “No. This building has enough supplies in it now that we might as well protect it. Give me a second.”

    In response Joseph gave a slight nod. He couldn't help but be curious whenever Mina turned her head towards the market and opened her mouth. He didn't hear any sound coming from her though it was clear she was yelling quite loudly. It only took him a moment to realize that she must have been adjusting the frequency so it was outside the range humans could hear. “What did you just do?”

    Before speaking Mina lowered herself to a seated position. “I just called for Pera to bring Dan, Allen and a few of her friends to protect the three of you.”

    “What?”

    A slight giggle escaped Mina. “Don't worry they're young girls but they're good girls and more then qualified to protect this structure. I would have called for someone older but everyone guardian level and higher is busy.”

    “I see. With the search I take it.”

    “That and the ringing I mentioned. Somehow they managed to grow several singing crystals and plant them around the market. They keep emitting a sound wave you probably can't hear but we sure can and it's making it nearly impossible to track by hearing. We have to find them and destroy them all quickly. Honestly I bet Pera and her friends will be glad I called them out here. It'll get them away from the crystals.”

    “Are you serious?!”

    “Indeed I am. We have to find and destroy them quickly or they could give away the location of the market.” A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “We haven't failed like this in a very long time.”

    “Mina you do know there is a quick way to destroy those crystals right?”

    “What? How?”

    Joseph actually gave a slight jump backwards as Mina stood up nearly knocking him over with her chest as she did. “A singing crystal can easily be destroyed by another singing crystal tuned to the right frequency as long as it has a high enough energy level. I'd just need to know the frequency they're currently resonating, have the needed materials to make the crystal and be able to provide enough energy to it.”

    Before Mina could respond another voice interrupted. “We have the materials right here.” A sigh escaped Dan as he looked at Mina for a moment. “Mina you shouldn't rush off before I'm done speaking.”

    For a moment Mina was silent. It couldn't be seen due to her fur but she was blushing. “I'm sorry Dan.”

    “It's alright. Anyway, Joseph it seems like you and I hit upon the same ideal. I take it that you're ready to get to work.”

    “Yeah this workshop should have the equipment we need.”

    In response Dan gave a nod and glanced behind him. “Okay Pera we want you and your friends to stay outside of the shop and insure that no one bothers us. If someone shows up explain that we're working on a way to silence all the crystals.”

    In response Pera gave a quick nod. “Sure thing but what about Allen?” As she spoke Pera glanced over to one of her friends who was currently carrying Allen on her back.

    “He'll need to stay out here with you. Joseph and I are both alchemist but this stuff can be somewhat dangerous. If the crystal was to shatter while it's being produced we could be badly injured and I don't want to send Allen back to Stella cut up. She'd cut me up.” Before Mina could protest Dan turned to her. “Mina before you say anything about the danger I know what I'm doing now scoot.”

    A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “I better not learn this was some exceptionally dangerous process. Okay I'm going to go and join the wrest of the search.”

    Joseph waited until Mina had taken off to speak. “Do you have any ideal how they produced singing crystals? Without a blank it takes weeks or even months to produce one.”

    “It just gives you an ideal of how long they've been working on this. Anyway, let's get to work.” As he spoke Dan retrieved one of the three blanks he'd brought along from the satchel. “I want to have everyone of those crystals converted to powder in thirty minutes.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “That's not going to be easy. I was thinking it would take an hour but we can try for thirty.”

    It was hard for Maria to believe what was going on as she skipped through the trees well ahead of her other sisters. She had been assigned to the hunting party almost immediately due to her speed. She could easily search two or three times faster then any of her other sisters. However, it was proving a frustrating search as she struggled to ignore the crystals back in the market. It was quite impressive how great their range was.

    What was more annoying then the crystals though was not being able to find scent trials. She wasn't entirely certain how the escapees had masked their scent so effectively but they had and it was doing a wonderful job hiding them. At least it was. A grin formed on Maria's face as she caught a whiff of a humans scent. While she felt confident that she could handle it herself she gave a roar to call her sisters to her location while she quickly headed towards the smell.

    “What is it sister did you find one of them?”

    A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Yeah but I know why I could smell him now.” As she spoke Maria pointed towards the man's corpse.

    Upon looking towards the corpse the other girl was made to groan slightly. “Damn it. They might have been well prepared to leave but this forest is still dangerous it seems.”

    Before responding Maria gave a slight jump landing closer to the corpse. She then bent down and began to carefully inspect the body. “The escape wasn't that long ago. I wonder how he got killed already. Oh wait. Fuck!”

    “What is it sister?”

    “I know how he died. He was stabbed in the back. Wasn't this a Gale soldier?”

    “I'm not sure.”

    “I bet some of the others killed him so that his corpse would distract us a while.”

    “Wouldn't it have been best if they didn't put us on their trial at all.”

    “Hm dang you're right.”

    “Hey Maria what's going on.” As Nora landed she took a few quick steps towards Maria only to notice the body. “I see you found one.”

    “Yeah too late though.”

    “You mean he was already dead?”

    In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah he was. Hey wait. Nora what brought you here?”

    “I smelt the scent.”

    “You mean you didn't hear my roar?”

    “No I can't say I did. This is bad isn't it?”

    In response Maria gave a nod. “Those crystals are making it hard for us to communicate. Now several of us will be lured to this corpse thinking they've found something just because we can't talk to one another. I take back what I said about them not wanting to put us on their trial. This might put a few of us on the right track in a sense but it sure throws a lot more of us off.”

    As Allen set on the roof he kept his attention focused on the path before him. The path that humans used to get their and back. He kept his eyes focused on it even as he spoke. “Pera?”

    “Yeah Allen?”

    “Thank you for saving me.”

    “No problem! I was glad to do it. I'm sorry that I let him get hold of you though.”

    “It's okay. You didn't hear him due to the crystals.”

    “I should have scene him coming though. It's not like he was being stealthy. If I hadn't been so easily distracted you wouldn't have been put in any danger. I didn't mean to get any blood on you.”

    “It's okay. You don't have anything to apologize for.” As he finished speaking Allen looked away from the path and towards Pera.

    “I wonder why they grabbed you like that.”

    “I don't know.”

    “Where you scared?”

    Before speaking Allen felt his face warming up as he began to blush. “I was really more surprised then scared. I guess I'm more scared now then whenever I was first grabbed.”

    “Why would you be scared now?”

    “I. I don't know. I want my mother but at least you're here with me.”

    Before speaking Pera stood up and walked over to Allen setting down next to him. “Of course I'm here with you. So don't worry I'll keep you safe and I won't let anyone grab you like that again.”

    “Thanks Pera.”

    “You're welcome. Why weren't you scared when he first grabbed you though.”

    “I didn't really have time to be scared. One second I find myself being picked up and I start to scream. The next moment I'm on my bottom on the ground. With an arm next to me.”

    “When I took his arm off and saw some blood on you I was scared I'd accidentally cut you as well.”

    “Hey Pera. Do you know who that man Dan was speaking to was?”

    “That's Joseph he's pretty new here.”

    “So Carter what do you believe happened?”

    “There must have been a mage amongst the claimed that have been brought in. Before the escape attempt he most likely cast a still air spell on the escapees so that they wouldn't leave behind a scent trail. That's the only scenario I can think of.”

    To this William gave a quick nod. “It would seem likely. In that case we should try a track magic spell to locate the escapees. It should be easy for the girls to track them down with a wisp leading the way.”

    Before either of the two could speak up Kenny chose to voice his opinion. “Not with the singing crystals active. Right now the area around the village would be saturated by low level magic. Still wind is a complex spell to cast but it is not a very powerful spell. The wisp would be unable to track the escapees.”

    To this Carter gave a nod. “I see your point. However, Dan and Joseph are currently working on a crystal to shatter the ones that were planted in the village. Once those have been broken it should be an easy tasks. The escapees won't be able to make it very far within such a limited time.”

    “So Carter, William do you believe that we should start conjuring a wind spirit to track the escapees?”

    To this William gave a shrug. “I'll take care of that myself. You two be trying to think of anything we might have missed.”

    Before William could leave Carter once again spoke up. “Do you believe we should bring in any of the others in this matter? Perhaps we should send some of the other alchemists to help Dan and Joseph.”

    In response William shook his head in the negative. “Do you know anything about producing a singing crystal?”

    “I can't say that I do.”

    “While a third might be able to help with the process anymore then that would hinder it. Joseph I believe to be an accomplished alchemist and we know Dan is very skilled. The two of them should be more then capable of producing the crystal. As for waking some of the others I don't believe that we need to do that.”

    As Kenny listened to William and Carter her chose to speak up. “I agree there would be no point waking the others at this point. I am rather puzzled by their choice of methods though. Surely whoever took hold of Allen realized that they would be killed for such an act. If Pera hadn't given him such a grievous injury from the beginning Stella would have.”

    To this Carter gave a slight shrug. “Most likely they hoped to force one of the girls to guide them out of the forest. From the reports we've already gotten though I'm thinking that they chose many different paths of escape.”

    It actually surprised the men whenever a forth voice joined the conversation. “I would have to agree with you.”

    “Flora? What are you doing here?”

    “I just came by to see how things were going. We've managed to find some of the crystals in the market area but they're still causing us frustration.”

    To this William gave a quick nod. “Flora did you take any of the crystals you've found to Dan and Joseph? I imagine they could make use of them.”

    “A few of the girls are bringing them some of them. I also brought some of them to you.” As she spoke Flora reached into a small satchel she'd been packing and brought out three of the tiny crystals. “I would appreciate it if you took them now.”

    “Of course.” As Carter spoke he moved forward and took the crystals from Flora. Given the trouble they were causing them he could only imagine the irritation Flora was feeling. “Is there anything else you needed?”

    “You're going to need to decide what to do with the escapees once we find them and quickly. You may want to get several of the others together to make a united stand. These things are so loud to us that it's affecting every female but the sleepers most likely. Fortunately they haven't awaken.”

    “Yes that would be a disaster. Why would we need to make such a mass move though?” As William spoke he had no ideal what he'd just asked for.

    Instead of responding right away Flora quickly reached out and took hold of William. She then quickly jerked him closer to herself and turned him to the side. Leaning closer she opened her mouth. There was only one thing that came out. “Ah!” As Flora yelled she made certain to keep it as loud as she could while still keeping within a frequency William could hear. She felt William trying to jerk away immediately.

    Painful didn't begin to describe how loud Flora's voice was as she yelled in his ear. William would have normally went for a spell to try and silence her but her grip on him was too secure and she'd caught him off guard. His ears were positively ringing by the time Flora released him and allowed him to fall to the ground. “What the hell was that for Flora?!”

    “That's what we're currently enduring thanks to those crystals. All of us.”

    While Carter and Kenny's ears were ringing as well they felt certain William had just got it far worse. Kenny was the one that spoke up first though. “You make a very good point. You seem to be managing quite well though.”

    “We're used to having to endure some form of suffering due to our hunger. That doesn't mean we enjoy it though. I have to admit I'm a little miffed at them for using those crystals as well.”

    The reason Kenny had been able to speak up before Carter was Carter was actually trying to keep from laughing. His ears were hurting but William's and Flora's reactions had been more then a little amusing to him. Now that he understood the situation though he sobered up quickly. “I imagine several of the ladies already want to rip the escapees apart. It doesn't help that some of them tried to take Allen hostage.”

    In response Flora gave a nod. “We had to force Stella to remain in the market and hunt for crystals. If she finds any of the escapees she's liable to tear them apart. She'll probably hold them responsible for endangering her child as a whole.”

    To this Flora gave a quick nod. “Even the matrons are becoming rather annoyed with the crystals.”

    After a moment Carter gave a nod. “Alright then. We should get busy. I believe we'll leave the crystals to Dan and Joseph still but they are other things we can do.”

    A sigh escaped Mina as she looked at the human corpse and one of her sisters setting next to it. She knew right away what was happening if she was staying still. “This is a decoy isn't it?”

    “Unfortunately yes sister.”

    “Blast it. They really thought the initial escape through. Surely they realize those crystals will only hold us for a few hours at most though and it takes days or weeks to travel through the forest.”

    “The probably had some long term plan going which you disrupted.”

    “You may very well be right. So who all has been here?”

    “More then I care to say. I was elected to stay behind and tell everyone what's going on.”

    “Damn those crystals if it wasn't for them we could inform everyone right away. Please keep watch here so the others keep moving. There is something I have to go check on.”

    “Sure thing Mina.”

    “Is that better?”

    Pera gave a slight chuckle as she looked out the corner of her eye trying to see Allen. She'd mentioned that the sound was really annoying her and the young boy had offered to cover her ears. His hands did muffle the sound waves a bit though she could still hear them. “It's a little better.”

    “Okay. If I think of a better way to cover up your ears I'll let you know.”

    “Thanks, though from the way Joseph and Dan were talking earlier we shouldn't have to wait much longer. I wonder what's taking them so long though. Dan said he wanted the crystal in thirty minutes and it's been over that.”

    “How do you know?”

    “I've been counting the minutes.”

    “Oh. What are they talking about now?”

    “I don't know. A lot of the words they've been using I don't recognize and there is a lot of clanging going on. The last thing I could really understand was whenever our sister brought them those crystals. Dan and Joseph both seemed really angry. They said something about there being a sleeper crystal. What do you think that is?”

    “One that hasn't started making sound yet probably.”

    “That's what I was thinking to but I hope that's not the case. Just one of them is bad enough. Oh wait they're talking again.”

    As Dan worked to attune their singing crystals to the right frequency he couldn't hold it in. “I can't believe they had a second group of crystals laying around. Even if we had destroyed the first group of them the sound waves would have awakened the second group and the problem would have began all over.”

    “At least Flora was nice enough to have some crystals sent to us. So Dan how is your crystal coming along?”

    “Fine what about yours?”

    “I'm nearly done as well.  Though now that I've had time to think I have to ask. What made you decide to come by here Dan?”

    “I was going to work on the crystal regardless of what happened. Whenever Mina mentioned going to check on you though I decided that it would be best if I had someone to work with. You mentioned to me that you've been working on the life bloom as well so it seemed like a good ideal.”

    “I take it Mina came here to insure they weren't taking me hostage as well.”

    “Yeah plus to make sure no suspicion fell on you.”

    “Huh?!”

    “A few of the women saw a claimed approach you a while back. Given everything that's happened Mina was worried one of her sisters may think you'd helped them and act before thinking.”

    “Ah I see. Well that was considerate of her. She seems to have quite a cool head.”

    “Mina's pretty practical whenever the safety of others is involved.”

    “Damn it they left some of the brats to guard him.” As Dav spoke he glanced back at Greg and Horlamin. “What do you think we should do?”

    Greg was the one to respond. “You know what just one of them can do even if it is a kid and that one isn't alone. Look she has three friends setting around with her. We should get out of here we're not going to be able to get those two.”

    A sigh escaped Dav as he shook his head. “Damn it. I was hoping we could at least get into the shop for supplies. Yeah we need to get out of here.”

    “Actually you needed to get out of here I'd say three minutes ago. Hm I don't recognize you three.”

    It was clear they'd been found and while the owner of the voice didn't know them they knew her. Mina was quite well known amongst the claimed. Dav's first instinct was to go for his weapon but he suppressed the urge as he turned to face her. “We're not with the others. We were just taking advantage of an.” Dav didn't get to finish as he felt something slam into his stomach and lift him off the ground. His jaw was made to go slack as he looked down he was quite surprised by what he saw.

    Mina had to hold back to keep from killing the human even when using her tail to hit him. As she held him aloft she kept her tone low but clear. “Now listen very carefully. They are two men in that building one of them happens to be my mate. Now you were just talking about taking him hostage. I am more then willing to kill all three of you at this moment but I'm restraining myself. So shut up and only speak whenever you're asked a question.”

    Both Greg and Horlamin were silent as Mina removed her tail and allowed Dav to fall to the ground. All three of them knew that they weren't going to outrun one of the beast now that they'd been spotted. Unfortunately she'd just told them to be quiet which left them in a very uneasy situation. They couldn't do anything but wait and see what she decided to do with them.

    A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “I should kill all three of you right now but I can't think clearly with that blasted ringing. Pera come over here!”

    Pera gave a slight jump upon hearing Mina's voice having not realized her elder sister was so close. The singing crystals had prevented her from hearing the men approaching or the conversation. “I'll be back Allen.”

    “Okay.”

    As Pera landed next to her Mina reached out and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Pera I need you to watch these three and don't kill them. You can wound them if they try to escape but try to keep from killing them.”

    “Huh? Where did they come from?”

    “They were spying on you all. I'm just glad the four of you were here to make sure they didn't try anything.”

    “Blasted crystals. Mina I didn't hear them.”

    “I know. It's okay. I only noticed them because I saw them upon my arrival. Now I need to speak with Dan and Joseph.”

    “Okay.”

    Neither Dan or Joseph were expecting the door to open fortunately neither of them were startled by it either. It was Dan that spoke up upon seeing Mina enter. “Mina what's going on?”

    “I came to check on how the two of you were doing.”

    “We're almost done here. It's taking longer then I'd like though. Flora had some crystals sent to us and we noticed that one of them wasn't active. They'd hidden sleeper crystals in the market.”

    “Sleeper crystals?”

    In response Dan gave a nod. “They're another form of singing crystal except they're triggered by a frequency. It just so happens the frequency that would have triggered these is the exact same one that would have destroyed the ones currently active.”

    “How long did they plan to delay us with those damn things! They're about to drive me insane.”

    In response Dan gave a quick nod. “This was a pretty well planned out escape. However, I don't think it was as well planned out as it would have been if you hadn't found those supplies in the tannery.”

    A low groan escaped Mina as she shook her head. “I guess they thought we'd be inspecting the tannery more often once I found the first stockpile. We probably would have. Well Joseph I guess we owe you.”

    To this Joseph gave a slight shrug. “It's not a problem. I have to say though I'm quite surprised that the little mask I gave you could have played a part in all this.”

    Before the conversation could continue Dan spoke up. “Mina you're not wearing your bracelets or anything.”

    “Damn it! Okay you two I'm going to head out.” As she spoke Mina was already making her way out the door and quickly shut it behind herself.

    It actually caught Joseph off guard whenever Mina suddenly departed. He also couldn't help but notice the surprise in her voice. “One of these days I'm going to have to find out why they react so strongly to not having those pieces of jewelery on while in here.”

    “Don't think on it too much. For now though let's finish up here.”

    It actually surprised Flora to see her daughter back in the market area so quickly. “Maria what brings you back here?”

    “Mom weren't some of our brothers hunters at one time?”

    “Well yes they were. Oh! I see what you're getting at.”

    “While I was out I noticed a broken twig and it got me to thinking. Humans don't have hearing or a sense of smell like ours yet they can track very well. The escapees most likely aren't expecting us to know human tracking techniques. How about we have some of the humans help in our hunt?”

    “I'm not sure if we have any that are still well practiced in such an art but it is most assuredly worth a shot.” A sigh escaped Flora. “If only a few guest were in the village they would undoubtedly be able to track them.”

    “Yeah.”

    “Okay Maria as it was your ideal I want you to go and inform every keeper within the market and village you can find. You're faster then I am so it makes more sense that you should go anyway.”

    “Sure thing mom.” As she spoke Maria was already dashing further into the market.

    As Dav set a few meters away from Pera he couldn't help but rub his stomach. The spot where Mina had struck him had been hurting before and now the pain was only growing worse. He was afraid to complain though for fear of what the girls watching him would do if he spoke. Mina had made it clear to him that he was to remain silent. Fortunately he didn't have to remain silent for long.

    While Pera was upset by everything that had happened and the crystals weren't helping her patience she wasn't so mad she wasn't curious. “Why did your human friends threaten Allen?”

    It was Markus that spoke up first. “They wanted to take him as a hostage to negotiate a safe escort through the forest.”

    “Why did only a few of you do it though?”

    “We were divided on the method to use. Some of us felt that we could put enough distance between ourselves and the village to escape that you wouldn't be able to track us all. Others thought it was impossible and we'd need something to bargain with.”

    “So why did you wait behind?”

    “We knew that once it became clear some had escaped you would all leave to chase us down. At least that was what we thought. We'd hoped to grab one of the humans you value away from the main areas which may still be guarded. They left you four here though.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Pera as she shook her head. “We're not stupid.” As she finished speaking Pera's lips formed into a smile revealing her razor sharp teeth. “Unlike the three of you. You're fortunate Mina didn't just tear your legs off and leave you to die right now.”

    “Dan, I know it's a bit late to worry about this but where did these singing crystals come from?”

    “They're used enough in alchemical research and other studies that we had a few on hand. If you're worried about the supply of them. Yeah you're correct to be worried about that. This is an unusual situation though.”

    “I see. I just need the mystic essence to awaken mine and it's ready to go.”

    “Good. If you don't mind come over here and give me a hand with mine then. I'm nearly finished but the resonance is being stubborn.”

    Markus had been rather surprised whenever he'd been woken in the middle of the night. He had been living near the market for a while now as a rank three. He had his own little place and was allowed a great deal of freedom. He'd been taking that time to prepare for his departure from the forest. “I have to say that I feel a bit awkward doing this.”

    In response Stella glanced over her shoulder at Markus. “What's the matter?”

    “Well they're just trying to do the same thing I'm doing. They're just using different means.”

    “If you don't want to help track them down we won't force you. You do realize that we're probably going to kill at least a few of them for what they've done.”

    In response Markus gave his head a slight shake. “Yeah. Yeah I realize that which doesn't make this easier.”

    Despite Markus's comments Stella continued moving. She was just glad to be out of the market district and on the hunt. She wanted to fine those responsible for her baby being endangered and make them pay. Even if they hadn't done it directly she felt many of the escapees had at least some degree of responsibility for such actions. “Markus we all know that you plan to leave as soon as you consider yourself capable of doing so.”

    “No doubt about that. That's why I'm doing this though.”

    “So you trust us to keep our deal?”

    “Yeah. You've never backed out of an agreement before.”

    “I must admit that your request caught me off guard. I felt certain that you'd ask for an escort out of the forest. Asking for the right to choose one claimed to be promoted to rank one was quite surprising.”

    “You wouldn't have agreed to escort me out of the forest.”

    “Well no but why not request another rank yourself?”

    “Oh that's easy. I need a partner to help me make my way out of this forest. As none of you are willing to help me it seems best to pick from amongst the claimed. That said waiting for someone else to earn even rank one is proving quite tiresome.”

    A sigh escaped Stella as she shook her head. “Honestly the ideal of letting you leave scares me.”

    “Huh?”

    “You're smart and you've learned a bit about us. That makes the ideal of you leaving the forest worrisome as you could prove to be quite dangerous to us.”

    “I haven't learned anything that could endanger you.”

    “Of course you'd say that. Ah well here we are.” As she came to the spot where the corpse had been found Stella came to a slow stop. “See what you can do.”

    “Will do.” As Markus hops of Stella's back he immediately noted several paths. Fortunately the women tended to stick to the tree tops for whatever reason so the path a human would have taken was fairly clear. The fact that the women moved so quickly through the forest almost meant the type of damage they caused was different from that of a humans. “This shouldn't be too hard their favoring speed over anything else.”

    Singing crystals were wonderful for monitoring certain reactions and tuning. The crystal itself was fairly fluid and its density could be changed by soaking it in different chemical baths. This let one change the frequency at will. The crystal was naturally responsive to magic and would begin to vibrate when enough energy was supplied. The less dense a crystal the more sensitive it was. This let them serve as magic detectors or even timers if set up correctly. Purity was of vital importance though to keep them from shattering.

    As Joseph was carried along by Mina he glanced over at Dan who was also being brought along for the ride. “This is an interesting way to travel I have to say.”

    “It's the only way to get through the forest.”

    Despite the situation Mina found herself joining in on the mens conversation. “I could really move if I didn't have to be careful not to break anything.”

    In response Dan leaned down a bit and gave Mina a kiss on her head. “Sorry sweetness but these crystals are kind of delicate.”

    “I wasn't talking about the crystals being delicate though there is that to.”

    “Ah well pardon me for being human and having breakable bones.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she looked at Dan out of the corner of her eye for a moment. “That's easily broken bones and you're forgiven. So just how is this going to work?”

    “We've tuned these singing crystals to a frequency that will resonate with the ones that are already active and currently sleeping respectively. This will cause them to vibrate at an abnormal frequency canceling out the sound and hopefully shattering them.”

    “Is that all?”

    “Well there is a chance that the crystals that were hidden will actually cause the ones we're using to shatter first. From what I saw of the hidden ones though ours are more pure so ours should cause the hidden ones to shatter first.”

    It was impossible for Mina to keep her displeasure out of her voice as she spoke. “You got to be joking.”

    In response Dan gave a shrug. “Sorry Mina but if this doesn't work we'll just have to try again. I'm certain that it'll shatter some of the crystals though.”

    “I guess we have no choice but to trust in you and Joseph.”

    It was impossible for Joseph not to ask even as Mina carried him. “Mina what other steps are you all taking to find the escapees?”

    “We convinced one of the hunters we brought in two years ago to help us in our search. Though it cost us a bit.”

    “A hunter?”

    “Markus is one of the people who started out as a claimed but it only took him a year to reach rank one. I know that might seem kind of slow compared to how quickly you progressed but he was really helpful and hard working.”

    “A hunter though?”

    A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she looked at Joseph. “Well yeah.”

    “How did a hunter earn his life back within that time?”

    “He made very effective us of his time, was open with his intents and proved to be useful.”

    In response Joseph gave a shrug. “I don't see how but okay.”

    “Well you'd have to ask his former keeper if you wanted the finer detail. Anyway, he agreed to help track down the escapees but it cost us.”

    “What did it cost you?”

    “After he's done helping us track down the escapees he gets to pick one person from amongst the claimed to promote to rank one. That is as long as they didn't try to escape in this attempt. He's planning on trying to leave the forest but he wants a partner to travel with him to improve his odds.”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “I see. That actually makes a lot of sense. How could he track something you can't though?”

    “We're used to having our ears and noses lead us while we're tracking. He doesn't rely on such things.” A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “We may have to ask him to teach us to track without relying upon our eyes and noses after this.”

    “Do you think he'll do it?”

    In response Mina gave a slight shrug. “Probably in exchange for something else he wants.”

    As Joseph listened to this he couldn't help but voice his thoughts. “Mina why are you even having this guy help you? Once the crystals are destroyed you'll be able to hear just fine and this forest is vast.

    “They're several reasons Joseph. We don't know what all they had planned. What if this is only the start of something larger? We need to stop it now if that is the case. Also the further out they get the harder they are going to find. We need to capture as many of them alive as we can to improve our odds of finding out who planned all of this.”

    “Ah I see your point. Are they any other reasons?”

    “I'm pissed off and want to hurt them as soon as possible.”

    Joseph was actually made to grin upon hearing this. “Okay I believe that's enough reasons though I'm sure you could give more. It looks like we're here at least.”

    “Where do I need to take you two?”

    In response to Mina's question Dan pointed towards the market. “You need to take us as close to the center of the market area as you can. That way our crystals will have the widest effective range. Once those near the center have been destroyed we'll move ours around and try to insure we get all the others.”

    “Okay you two tell me exactly what's going to happen.”

    As Dan spoke he tightened his grip on Mina. “Mina you're going to have to stay close to me and Joseph just in case one of your sisters responds. Even the crystals we're using are going to effect you all and well some of you seem rather high strung. We can't have anyone destroy the crystals we've made or us until we're finished.”

    “Thanks for the warning.” As she spoke Mina finally came to a stop and set Dan and Joseph down. “Okay now what?”

    As Joseph was speaking he took a few steps away from Mina and placed the crystal he was holding on the ground. “Now we just add some mystic essence and wait for things to happen.”

    “Hold on a moment Joseph. Come here Mina, bind down and I'll cover your ears.”

    A grin formed on Mina's face as she did as she was asked. “Thanks sweet heart.”

    “Are you two ready?”

    In response to Joseph's question Mina gave a nod. “Go for it.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he retrieved a few small bits of crystallized energy and placed it upon the singing crystal. Before the crystal could respond he quickly moved away and came to stand beside Mina. He didn't know how the girls were going to respond but if it was poorly he wanted to be near some form of protection. Upon looking back at the crystal he found it was already vibrating.

    Mina had readied herself preparing for the experience to get even worse before it got better. Much to her surprise though that wasn't the case. Rather she found that the sound waves from one crystal cut out all the ones around her. At least it did for a few moments. After a while though the crystal Joseph had placed on the ground seemed to be getting far more noticeable. “Dan the crystal Joseph put down is getting louder. What does that mean?”

    “It means that the crystal is causing the others to shatter. They're not canceling it out as much. Tell me the moment you hear a third sound coming into play or if you hear only one crystal singing and we'll know how well things worked out.”

    As Stella followed behind Markus she couldn't help but notice the difference in the sound coming from the market. It had grown far fainter and it was becoming easier and easier for her to hear. She immediately realized this wasn't just due to them getting further away. It was impossible for her to keep from giving a relieved sigh.

    It was proving easy for Markus to track the others. They'd done a poor job indeed of hiding their tracks at least from someone with his training. “Stella, they've diverged here. We can only track one group at the moment. The group that went right seems to be the larger.”

    In response Stella gave a quick nod. “Alright then we'll track them. Please lead on.”

    “What was that sigh for a moment ago?”

    “That blasted ringing is finally being quited. Maybe my head will quit hurting soon.”

    To this Markus gave a nod. “Well that's a good thing I suppose.”

    “Don't worry our agreement still stands. Without the ability to track by scent hearing alone most likely won't be enough.”

    “I wasn't all that worried about it. However, I believe they expected for whatever was hiding their scent or limiting your hearing to expire.”

    “Why would you say that?”

    “Why else would they be favoring speed so much? Most likely once they feel they've put a few kilometers between themselves and your settlements they'll start favoring stealth.”

    “If you were escaping with them what would you be more worried about scent or hearing?”

    “Most likely they're focusing on their scent. After all those crystals have a limited range and one way or the other they'll eventually be too far out for them to reach. At which point you'll be able to use your hearing again.”

    “That's a good point.”

    “I'm amazed how well organized this was. I think you all should give the tannery another search once you have time.”

    “I would have to agree with you. This was probably months if not a year or more in the planning. Markus why are you so eager to leave here?”

    “This isn't my home and I wish to return to it.”

    “It's been over two years since you were brought here though.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Markus as he shook his head. “There have been longer journeys. I'm not one of your people and I don't plan on becoming one of them. I have a life that I want to return to even if some of it has passed me by.”

    “Don't you believe that'll be difficult to return to your old life?”

    In response Markus gave a slight shrug. “Not really. If I was just concerned with leaving the forest I would be even further along then I am now.”

    “Oh?”

    In response Markus gave a slight nod. “As you've given me permission to roam the forest and make use of various materials I have selected things to help me with the return to my world. Even the being welcomed back in.”

    “Ah you mean some things you humans will find of value.”

    “Indeed.”

    A sigh escaped Stella as she shook her head. “You could live comfortably and safely here if you wanted to become part of our community. You spend nearly all your time in your home.” Stella didn't get to finish as Markus spoke up.

    “That building isn't my home.”

    A sigh escaped Stella as she shook her head. “You're more clever but in many ways you're exactly like those claimed.”

    To this Markus gave a slight chuckle. “Not everyone can be content trusting in the good will of another race. Even if you don't call me one of the claimed that doesn't mean I'm free.”

    “I see where this is going and I believe I had this argument before.”

    “It wouldn't surprise me.”

    “Very well then I'll let it wrest here.”

    Maria had first thought that she might travel with Markus once she'd found one of the keepers. Her plans had changed though whenever she'd encountered Stella. Stella wasn't truly one of the keepers as she had Allen to raise but she had a sufficient rank to be one. She'd also known someone that could perform the desired task though how she knew them Maria wasn't entirely sure.

    It was a good thing she'd encountered her though. It had allowed Maria to resume the hunt for the escapees more quickly. The trip had also given her some breathing room so that she now found herself running along the forest floor instead of through the trees. She'd gone walking with Joseph a few times and she'd noticed something. Humans naturally took the easiest path they could find unless they were distracted by something.

Chapter 5 by happiest_in_shadows
Now she felt certain that the escapees would want to have done something similar. Traveling as they normally did there was no way that they would know what paths a human would find the easiest though. So Maria had began forcing herself to travel on ground and try to guess what was the easiest direction to go in. She was actually surprised though as she noticed some movement ahead of her.

Had they made it? It felt like they had been running for hours though both men knew that it hadn't even been an hour yet. They had to put as much distance between themselves and the strong hold the beast called a market before they could relax though. Neither of them said a word even as they ran together neither of them wanted to waste the breath to speak.

“Hold it you two!” As Maria spoke she quickly dashed in front of both of the men.

Davnan gave a sharp gasp as he was made to recoil nearly falling over. The beast girl had appeared out of no where and he'd nearly slammed into her. His partner had apparently had the same reaction though not the balance as he was made to topple over. Instinct caused Davnan to move towards the right but he didn't begin running just yet. His logical mind told him they were caught.

As Maria look at the two she gave her head a slight shake. “For shame trying to run off like that. You two should have known better. Now you're going to come back with me and you're going to explain yourselves to my sisters.”

“Please let us go. We didn't mean you any harm.”

“OH? Last time I checked stealing from someone was most assuredly harming them.”

“We only took what we needed to get through the forest. It's nothing you can't easily replace.”

“That doesn't excuse your actions. Now turn around and I'll walk you back and insure that you're safe at least until you have to explain yourselves.”

To this Davnan gave his head a quick shake. “You'll just kill us when you bring us back or another one of you will.”

“Perhaps, however there is a pretty good chance you won't be killed. If you choose to fight me though you most likely will be and if you keep running I'll just have to carry you back. I assure you that me carrying you back won't be a pleasant experience.”

A sigh escaped Davnan as he shook his head. “Damn it we were so close.”

“Oh no you weren't! You haven't even began to travel through this forest you'd most likely ended up killed by something else if you weren't found by us again.”

As Leon listened to Davnan and Maria he couldn't help his response. “I'm not going to be your slave anymore.” As he spoke Leon quickly turned and began to dash into the forest. As his foot moved to take a second step though he felt something slam into his back.

Davnan hadn't even seen Maria move. One second Leon had began to run the next second he'd been face down in the dirt Maria standing over him. He have expected to see Leon's blood on the ground moments later but that didn't happen.

A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Okay for whatever reason my sisters decided not to kill you the first time they brought you in. Now as I'm assuming they had a good reason for not killing you I'm trying to avoid it as well. I would also like to bring you back with as little trauma as possible.”

Despite the situation Davnan couldn't help but ask. “What's going to happen to us when we come back?”

“You're going to have to explain yourselves. Most likely some of you will be killed or severally punished at least for your choice of methods. Those of you that tried to take a hostage really fucked the wrest of you over though. If it wasn't for that you wouldn't be in half the danger you're in now.”

“What?! But we didn't do that! We were just trying to leave!.”

In response Maria gave a shrug. “You most likely knew of their plan and you didn't warn us. Your escaping helped them in their attempt as well yet you continued through with it. You've got a lot to answer for.”

“It's not like we could just tell you what was going on! We'd been killed by our other captives!”

A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Don't give me that. You know perfectly well how good our hearing is. You could have whispered to us amongst all your friends and we'd still heard you even if they didn't. Now are you two coming back or am I going to break both your legs and carry you back?”

As Mina listened to the crystals she found that the one Joseph had placed down had become far more noticeable. This brought a smile to her face. “Dan, Joseph I can hear your crystal primarily now. The other ones are mostly silenced do you think you can quiet it now.”

Dan was the one that chose to speak up. “If we silence it now that means some of the singing crystals they placed will remain. We need to wait for them all to be quiet.”

“Da.” Mina didn't get to finish as a third sound joined the two. “The sleeper crystals are awake! Damn it they're even more annoying then the.” Once again Mina grew silent as the sound became less intense.

Dan smiled at Mina as he awakened the second crystal he and Joseph had prepared. “Is that better?”

“Yeah but now it sounds like it did in the beginning with all four groups going at it.”

As he spoke Dan placed his hands over Mina's ears. “Don't worry things should get quieter soon. I think we got your sisters attention though.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she looked around and noted several of her sisters looking at them. Apparently the sudden quieting and then invigorating of the noise had indeed gotten their attention. “Don't worry it should all be quieter soon just hold out a little while longer.”

While Joseph had been quiet he couldn't help but speak up as the crystals seemed to be doing their job. “Dan, Mina once we're done here I want to get back to my shop. You don't believe any of those kids would tamper with what I have in there do you?”

In response Mina shook her head. “No. They all know the rules about such things and besides Allen is with them. He'll keep Pera's curiosity in check.”

To this Joseph gave a nod. “You seem to be doing better.”

Markus could hardly believe what had just happened. Currently Stella was standing roughly ten yards away from him while five corpses or soon to be corpses lay on the ground. Each body was missing a large chunk of itself that were scattered about the area. “I thought you were going to capture them!”

A sigh escaped Stella as she looked back at Markus. “So did I.”

“What? What's going to happen now?”

At first Stella was quiet as she bit down on her lower lip. “We're going back to the village and you're going to come back out here with another one of my sisters. I'm going to have to explain myself and hope my sisters and brothers are understanding.”

As Markus listened to Stella it became clear what had happened. She had meant to capture at least one of the five they'd encountered but she'd given into her anger. She'd torn all of them apart instead. Yet as she spoke she seemed so calm it actually had him quite concerned. If she could be that angry and yet act so calm how did he know she wasn't just going to tear him apart?

Instead of turning to leave Stella reached down and ran her claw along the forehead of one of the bodies. Her claw easily cut through the flesh opening up the skin. “I thought I could control myself but I'm angrier then I realized.”

“I see then. Well I guess I'll be going back then.” As he spoke Markus began to take some steps away from Stella.

“It'll be faster if I carry you. Don't worry I'm not angry with you.” As she spoke Stella moved towards Markus despite how nervous he appeared. Given what had just happened she wasn't too surprised he was worried.

“Okay then.”

As Stella neared Markus she reached an arm around him and under him easily lifting him from the ground. “My sisters were right to have me stay in the market. I just hope this doesn't reflect badly on Maria.”

“Pera you shouldn't be trying to peek.” As he spoke Allen had a secure grip on the end of Pera's tail keeping her from moving further away from him.

“Oh come on Allen. I just want to peek inside the window.”

“It's probably shut for a reason and you know you're suppose to stay away from alchemical supplies.”

“It's just a little peak.” As she spoke Pera moved forward actually pulling Allen along as she did so. She was stopped though whenever he firmed up his stance.

“Pera!” As he spoke Allen turned towards Pera's friends. “A little help please.”

A slight giggle escaped Lenora as she watched Pera and Allen. She knew she should be helping Allen but the scene was too funny for her to step in. “Sorry Allen but once Pera's curiosity takes over it's darn hard to stop her.”

Before he could respond Allen felt himself pulled forward again. “Blast it Pera don't make me stop you.”

A slight giggle escaped Pera as she looked back at Allen. “Hm?”

For a moment Allen did nothing. He then released his hold on Pera's tail and quickly moved forward. It was clear she didn't intend to dodge as he wrapped his arms around her. He didn't try to hold her though rather he began to work his fingers over her belly extremely quickly. He noticed an immediate response as he felt Pera's body tense up.

“Gah!” Pera didn't have time to respond as Allen began to tickle her. The sensation of his fingers working over her stomach was too much and she couldn't even speak initially. Rather the moment she opened her mouth laughter burst forth and she felt her strength quickly draining away. It would have been a simple matter for her to just push Allen away but she couldn't bring herself to be that rough with him even as he tickled her without mercy.

“I warned you.”

For a moment Dan removed his hands from Mina's ears. “Mina do you still hear four sounds?”

“No just three now.”

In response Dan walked over to the crystals. “Is the sound that first started quiet?”

“No. It's the third one that's gone silent.”

In response Dan gave a nod. “I guess they didn't get to make as many of the second crystal as they did of the first.” As he spoke Dan took a moment to look around. It only took him a second to find what he wanted. As he picked up the rock though he got a surprise when Mina took hold of his wrist.

“What are you doing with that?”

“I'm going to silence the second crystal we put down.”

“By smashing it?”

“Well yeah.”

“Won't it run out of energy though?”

“In time but Joseph and I gave both the crystals. What are you doing?”

A sigh escaped Mina as she drove her fingers into the ground. The massive impact actually surpassed the sound of the crystals ringing in her ears for a moment as she tore up a huge chunk of earth. “You don't have to break them silly.” As she was speaking Mina proceeded to tear up a large chunk of earth and pick up the crystal Dan had put down. She then slipped it into the opening she'd created and began to carefully bury it.

As Dan watched Mina burying the crystal he was made to chuckle slightly. “Well that's one way to make sure no one can hear it.”

A sigh escaped Mina. “Not quite yet. How much earth can I pile on top of this thing before it breaks?”

“I could step on it and not break it as long as I stepped down carefully. You would crush it on the other hand.”

In response to this Mina gave a nod and carefully buried the crystal. “Ah that's better now there are just two sounds.”

“Yeah and these aren't nearly as loud.” Alexa smiled as she made her way over to Joseph, Dan and Mina. “I'm glad you two were able to finish those crystals so quickly.”

In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “I'm glad you all sent us those crystals. If you hadn't we wouldn't have known that there is a group of sleeper crystals.”

In response to this Mina spoke up. “Oh believe me! We're even happier about that then you are.”

A slight giggle escaped Alexa as she gave her head a quick nod. “You had better believe we are. So Joseph I haven't spoken to you in a while. It's nice that you're helping us so much.”

“Oh it's not a problem.”

“It is for us.” As she spoke Alexa reached down and placed a hand on Joseph's shoulder. “That noise was driving some of us nuts.”

“Well then I'm glad that I could help.” Before continuing Joseph looked towards Mina. “What now though?”

“Now that we can hear again we can step up the search for the escapees. Hopefully some of our other sisters have met with some success and will be returning soon. I take it that you want to get back to your workshop though.”

“I well. Yes I would like that.”

Now Alexa chose to speak up. “Well then I'll just walk you back there!”

“Oh Thanks.”

“Not a problem.”

“Pera! Pera stop it! Sto” Allen didn't get to finish as he found himself breaking out into open laughter. Pera had managed to get lose from him and was now subjecting him to the same tickle torture that he'd been putting her through. Actually he felt that he was getting it even worse as she easily pinned him. What made it really frustrating though was her tongue.

Between tickling Allen with her free hand and tail Pera had taken to licking him in the ear. Her sharply pointed tongue could easily be used to wet his inner ear and it was clearly not to his liking. He was laughing enough though that she wasn't worried about being mean to him. He also spent a good deal of time tickling her as well after all.

Whether he was having fun or not Allen didn't know. Pera's tongue was annoying as heck and he desperately wanted to clean the saliva out of his ear. With her pinning him though there wasn't much that he could do. Yet as frustrating as the situation as he found himself laughing both due to the tickling and due to enjoying himself to an extent. It was an odd mixture of frustration and fun.

At last Pera relented and set up allowing Allen the use of his arms once again. As he began to vigorously clean out the inside of his ear with the edge of his shirt she gave a slight giggle. “Well that's what you get for tickling me.”

“Hey now. I was just trying to keep you out of trouble.”

“Pfft like I would have gotten into trouble just for peeking into Joseph's shop. It's not like I would have been close enough or around long enough to ruin anything.”

“You may think that but there is still a chance you would have damaged something. Why take the risk?”

“Because I'm curious.”

“You know you have to keep curiosity in check at times. Besides what would you have done if you'd seen something even more interesting? Just said you'll only step in for a few moments.”

“No!”

Allen had a wide grin on his face as he looked at Pera. “The time Dan had to literally chase you out of the storage building.”

“Ah well.” Pera was made to go silent as a slight giggle escaped her and she felt herself blush a bit. “He threatened to dye me pink if he ever caught me doing that again.”

“You know he'd do it to! Well with Mina's help.”

“Probably. Though that could be a nice change of pace. Do you think I'd look pretty with pink fur?”

“Ah well I. I think you're pretty now Pera. Gah! What was that for?!”

Pera gave a slight chuckle as Allen recoiled away from her. She'd given him another quick lick in the ear. “Oh nothing.”

“Hey what are you five doing up there!”

In response to the voice all four of the girls and Allen glanced down to see Alexa walking towards them. Joseph was actually walking slightly ahead of her. It was Allen that chose to speak up. “Just waiting around. Oh and keeping an eye on those three until someone comes to get them.”

To this Alexa shook her head. “Now you five be careful. We're still in a state of emergency.” As she was speaking Alexa took a moment to glance to where Allen had pointed. She was made to miss her nose even more as she noted the three escapees setting thee.

After Alexa had spoken Pera spoke up. “Hey Alexa I can't hear as much noise anymore. What happened?”

“Joseph here and Dan managed to destroy a lot of the crystals. I'm not sure what's going on now I thought they'd all be shattered by the time we got back here.”

“Oh okay. So what should we do now?”

“Hm. I really need at least one of you to stay here with Joseph until we are certain the area is secure or until we can find someone to replace you. I'm certain that Maria wouldn't mind but she's currently out hunting.”

Now Lenora chose to speak up. “Joseph do you have the jewelery that we wear while near alchemical and magical items?”

“Yes. I have what Maria wore from a while back.”

To this Lenora gave a nod. “Okay I'll stay here and keep an eye on Joseph.”

In response Alexa gave a nod. “Why thank you Lenora. That's quite mature of you.”

“It's not a problem.”

As Lenora volunteered to stay and keep an eye on Joseph Vanessa looked at the escapees. “In that case how about we take those three back to the market?”

As Maria was leading the two she'd captured back through the forest she couldn't tell if she was happy or frustrated. On the one hand she'd liked to continue the search but she had to insure that these two went back. Unfortunately she wasn't big enough to carry both of them without risking serious injury to them. Of course if she killed one she could pack the survivor but that wouldn't really be fair in the situation. “I swear all this time and I still can't smell your scent.”

In response Davnaa spoke up. “It's what we hoped would allow us to escape.”

“You know when I bring you back you're going to be forced to tell how you managed to do that. I'm guessing magic at this point.”

In response to this Davnan gave a shrug. “If I tell you will I be treated more mercifully?”

“Of course not. There several of you that escaped after all and we only have to make one of you tell us what happened. If you refuse to give us the information we want you'll most likely be killed in a horrible way to encourage the others to tell us.”

In response Davnan was made to shiver. The tone with which Maria had spoken had been entirely perky and carefree. There had been no malice in it despite what she'd said. “So you're just taking us back to die?”

“Probably not. Though I have no doubt some of you will be killed for this. It'll most likely be those that seem to be the ring leaders.”

“How can you talk about our lives like that?”

“I use my mouth, tongue, vocal cords and lunges.”

“Damn it I should just end my own life right here.” Before saying anything else Davnan quickly inhaled and gathered some mucus and spit in his mouth. He then proceeded to spit aiming for Maria.

As Maria heard Davnan inhale she quickly stepped to the side easily avoiding his spit. She then quickly walked backwards several paces and slammed her right fist into his stomach. Upon feeling her hand impact with her belly she actually felt him lift into the air. “Killing yourself is your decision and I won't stop you from doing it. However, if you try to spit on me again I'm going to beat you until you can't walk and drag your ass back.”

There was no way for Davnan to respond. Upon Maria removing her hand his legs went limp and he toppled to the ground. All the air had been forced from his lunges and it was proving very hard to refill them. As he lay there on the ground gasping for breath he couldn't even bring himself to look up at her.

“For the sake of your own survival I suggest that you tell us everything we want to know. If you don't have any useful information then you were truly foolish to take this gamble.”

As Mina listened to the singing crystals she gave a sigh. “Dan the other crystals aren't going quiet. Do you think that the one you and Joseph made is going to be able to shatter them?”

In response Dan gave his head a slight shake in the negative. “No. If they haven't broken by now they're not going to break at least not soon enough. They must be too pure. You can go ahead and bury ours and we'll just have to search for the remaining crystals.”

In response Mina picked up the final crystal Joseph and Dan had made. “What if I bring this closer to the hidden ones? Would that break them?”

“Actually it might. Here give me the crystal. I'll carry it around the village so you don't have to stay so close.”

In response Mina gave a nod and handed the crystal back to Dan. “I'm going to stay close to you.”

“I don't believe you have anything to worry about Mina. I believe everyone realizes what we were doing here.”

In response Mina gave a nod. “You're probably right and they do seem fairly calm. That said I'm not going to leave you alone until that thing is quiet.”

“I could go with him.”

In response to the voice Mina glanced up to find Stella. She was actually rather surprised to see her back with Markus so soon. “Stella what.” For a moment Mina went silent and shook her head. “Why do I smell blood you?”

“I lost my head.”

A sigh escaped Mina as she placed a hand on her forehead. “How many of them did you kill?”

“Six.”

“Stella that was a very poor decision but you know that. Well I'm not in any position to lecture you right now. Why don't you go and check up on Allen?”

In response Stella gave a nod. “Thank you. Where is my little baby now?”

“Last I knew they were at the workshop we were letting Joseph use with four of our young sisters. In case you're wondering one of those sisters was Pera.”

A sigh escaped Stella as she gave a nod. “She seems quite fond of my little Allen.”

“Yeah they make a cute couple. Anyway off you go. Once you get back though we're going to have to meet with some of the other keepers and talk.”

“What about Markus here?”

“Well I'm not going to leave Dan until he's done with that crystal. If you see Alexa on your way back tell her to come to me. Markus you'll remain here with us until Alexa returns.”

In response Markus gave a slight shrug. “That's fine with me. I just want to point out though that I did my part.”

To this Mina gave a quick nod. “Yes and we'll honor our agreement with you.”

Lenora had been quiet whenever Joseph had first began to fuss over the reaction going on inside the beaker. As he had settled down though and she sensed that he was finished she chose to speak up. “So Joseph do you like living here with us?”

“Huh? Sorry I didn't really catch that.”

“Do you enjoy here living with us?”

In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “It's a nice place to live if a bit odd. I have to say I'm not used to using respect to get what I want rather then currency. It seems like that could cause some serious complications down the line.”

“What makes you think that?”

“Well what about when there is something that no one wants to do? There is also the little matter of keeping track of what everyone has done.”

In response Lenora gave a slight shrug. “That's what your mark is for though. It lets everyone see how much you've done to help the community and what you're entitled to. Naturally we respect those that do the task we all hate more then those that only do the tasks we enjoy.”

“It just seems a bit off to me that's all. So are they any sisters that refuse to do anything but hunt?”

In response Lenora gave a quick nod. “Yep they are. Naturally they're not allowed a very powerful body if they're not going to help out though.”

“What about someone that only eats at the dining hall and never brings anything in?”

“Why would they do that?”

“They're lazy.”

“Huh? How would that affect hunting though?”

“You mean that all of you like to hunt?”

“I guess that some of us might not like it.” For a moment Lenora grew silent as she scratched the back of her head and gave a slight giggle. “I've never met a sister that didn't enjoy hunting though!”

“Ah I see. So is it instinctual for you all?”

“Instinctual?”

“Something that you have a natural desire to do or feel a very powerful impulse to do for no other reason.”

“Ah! Yeah you could say that it's instinctual then. You humans seem so fond of money though. Why is that?”

“Well it stream lines things. Think about it this way. I could carry an entire cow into town and trade it for vegetables or I can have a pouch full of a few pieces of metal that are as valuable as a cow. At least they're agreed to be as valuable as a cow. Which is easier to transport?”

“Oh that makes sense. How do you know that those coins will always be worth a cow though?”

“Well they're a variety of ways. If there is a government backing the coinage it's because that government says so. Also they are some things people just generally agree are valuable.”

“What if people decide it isn't as valuable as their cow though?”

“Then the system begins having issues.”

“So do humans see having a bunch of money like we see having a powerful body or being allowed to wear a higher mark?”

“Um well not exactly.”

“How is it different?”

“Some times having a bunch of money just makes people hate you or want to take your money away from you. What happens whenever you want something that one of your sisters has?”

“Um generally we try to find some form of trade or we play a game for it. Pera has this really pretty marble she loves to play with that I've been trying to win from her for a really long time. I tried to find out something she'd trade for it but she refused to tell me.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he noticed how Lenora perked up whenever she talked about the marble. “It sounds like you really want it. Do you know where she got it?”

In response Lenora gave a quick nod. “Yep. Her father gave it to her.”

“Pera's father? Where is he exactly?”

“Oh he spends most of his time out in the forest I'm not sure where he got the marble from. He came to visit her one day though and gave it to her as a gift.”

“Why only one?”

“Oh he gave her more then one! It's just this one is really pretty. It's this really nice shade of blue that when you hold it up in the sunlight seems to change to all sorts of different hues.”

“I see. So what does Pera's father do?”

“Um.” For a moment Lenora grew silent and rubbed her head. “He comes and warns us whenever some of the other forest dwellers might be trouble. We've helped him keep the kobolds under control numerous times. Oh he also brings us metals and gems from time to time. The type we have trouble finding.”

“So is he the mate of Pera's mother?”

“Oh no. We would never let one of our mates spend so much time away from us.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “Does he at least show up to spend time with Pera?”

“Well he doesn't come here very often but Pera goes to visit him a lot. Well she hasn't been visiting him as much over these last few weeks.”

“How come?”

“She's been playing with Allen more often of course. Um Joseph do you have anything I could snack on? I didn't get to eat before we got sent here.”

“Ah sure thing.” As he spoke Joseph moved away from the table and began to rummage through some cupboards. “I've been staying here so I have some things on hand.”

“Well I was thinking. Could I have those.” As she spoke Lenora pointed towards some of Joseph's alchemical supplies.

“Um what one are you talking about exactly.”

In response to the question Lenora quickly stood up and moved over to the cupboards. “This one right here. The mushrooms.”

“Have you eaten them before?”

“Yep!”

“You do realize those are highly toxic right?”

“Not to us.”

In response Joseph gave a nod. “Okay I was just making sure you knew what you were asking for. Yeah but leave me about half of them. I might need them later.”

In response Lenora quickly retrieved the bag and opened it up. Only after retrieving the largest mushroom in the bag did she speak up. “Sure thing. Joseph could I ask you some questions?”

“Go right ahead.”

“How can you humans stand to come into the forest with such fragile bodies? You die so easily.”

“Ah well. We don't exactly think of ourselves as fragile. At least most of us don't.”

“Most of you need two arms just to lift your body weight though! You can't run fast at all either.”

“That is true but fragile is a matter of standards and opinions. We don't consider ourselves fragile we consider your kind very durable.”

“I'd be scared to leave the village if my body was as delicate as yours is.”

“Well it isn't like we're ignorant of our lack of natural weapons. We've developed weapons of our own though and magic using the most powerful tool we have available.”

A slight giggle escaped Lenora as she nodded her head. “At times I wonder if your brains are all that powerful. Then I talk to Dan and he makes me dizzy. I tried to have him explain a reaction to me once. I think he managed to finish two sentences before he lost me.”

“Well correct me if I'm wrong but you are rather young.”

“Hey! I'm fourteen.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “Well in my society that's barely older then a child.”

“Same here but still.” A slight giggle escaped Lenora and she stuck her tongue out at Joseph for a moment. “Do you think you could explain to me what you're working on?”

“Sure. I'm altering the physical structure of those seeds so that they can develop into the mystic plains and siphon energy from it. On top of that the plant that grows from the seeds will naturally.” Joseph didn't get to finish as Lenora spoke up again.

“Okay. I understood that much. Is it about to get more complex?”

“Not really as long as I don't go into detail.”

“Yeah it sounded like that was what you were about to do. So I think you should just stop there.”

“Ah very well. Is there anything else you'd like to ask?”

In response Lenora gave a nod. “Yep! I know that you humans wear clothing to protect your bodies from the elements. Why do you seem so self conscious about them though?”

“Ah well. I guess we all have things that we're not exactly proud of so we don't want to show them. Also many consider the naked body indecent in public.”

“Why is that?”

“Um well.” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph. “We just tend to and I'm kind of glad that most expect you to wear clothing.”

“Oh why?”

“I figured you'd ask that. I find certain human bodies unpleasant to look at.”

A slight giggle escaped Lenora as she leaned forward. “Okay now I want you to explain this in detail.”

In response Joseph gave a slight shrug. “It's just instinctive I suppose or in cultured. I just find certain naked bodies unpleasant to look at.”

“So what kind of bodies do you not like seeing naked?”

“Other men and some women.”

A slight giggle escaped Lenora as she looked at Joseph. “Well then. Does the fact that none of us wear much clothing if any bother you or do you not think of us as women?”

“It doesn't bother me and I most assuredly think of you as women and children.”

“Oh that must mean you like how my big sisters look.” Once again Lenora was made to giggle as she noticed Joseph blushing.

“Could we maybe change the subject?”

“Why don't you like seeing other men naked though? Does it make you feel ashamed?”

“I just don't find the site pleasing to view is all. Isn't there something you don't like to look at but you can't explain why?”

“Hm well. Yeah I can think of a few things. So you wear clothing and insist others wear clothing so that you don't have to see something you don't want to see.”

“I suppose that's part of it.”

“Hm well that makes sense. You humans have quite a different variety of body shapes and conditions. In case you're wondering there is actually certain body types we don't like to see. Namely ones that we consider unhealthy.”

“Ah well then I imagine everyone is glad that I keep my clothing on with this gut of mine.”

“Na you're not unhealthy and besides that's going to leave you if you stay here long enough to find a mate.”

“Huh?”

“Dan was a real pudgy fellow whenever he was first brought here. Did you know that?”

“Well no I never asked him.”

“After he got into a relationship with Mina though she got him into shape fast. Your bodies are naturally fragile but that isn't an excuse to let them degrade any further after all. No respectable sister would let her male continue in an unhealthy body whenever she can encourage him to change it.”

“Now just how would you know that?”

An amused giggle escaped Lenora as she reached up and rubbed her ears. “I hear things. Besides I may be young but I know how these things work. An unsuitable body with a suitable mind is much easier to handle and fix then a suitable body and an unsuitable mind. The body doesn't take nearly as much work to fix.”

“Hm I'll have to ask Dan about that later I suppose.”

“If you're wondering how Mina helped get him into shape its typically wrestling and no. That's not what they told us was going on while they were having sex.” Before continuing Lenora reached up and placed a finger on her nose. “It's hard to hide such things from us.”

“Um Lenora this isn't the type of thing I believe I should be talking to someone of your age about.”

“Huh? Why not?”

“Well generally that's the type of thing your parents should talk to you about. Why are you giggling?”

At first Lenora said nothing as she needed a moment to stop laughing. When she had finished laughing she had a huge grin on her face. “Why do you humans take so long to teach your children about sex?”

“Huh?”

“I'm guessing it's because you can hide it to an extent.”

“So your parents have already spoken to you about such things?”

“Oh heck I learned about such things whenever I first began to notice certain smells accompany certain sounds.”

“I. I see. Well this is still an awkward subject for me. You're still quite young after all.”

A positively impish grin was on Lenora's face as she readied herself. “Did you know that we can even tell whenever you're sexually stimulated? We don't tend to mention it as most of us know it makes you uncomfortable. However, just think. Whenever you're in the market and you become excited for whatever reason everyone of us around you knows what you're thinking about.” As she finished speaking it was impossible for Lenora to keep from laughing as she noted how Joseph seemed to lock up.

“You're just a little imp aren't you?!”

It was through brief breaks in giggling that Lenora was able to respond. “That's. What I've. Been told.” As she finished speaking Lenora burst into open laughter.

A sigh escaped Joseph even as he found himself grinning. “I can't believe you're a child.”

“Ah well how do you humans determine whether or not someone is a child?”

“Age. Now you should know that.”

“Indeed I do. However, physical age is a horrible way to judge maturity in my opinion.”

“So what is your physical age?”

“Fourteen.”

“Fourteen years old and already talking like you do.”

In response to Joseph comment Lenora stuck her tongue out at him for a moment. “There's nothing wrong with how I talk.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “This conversation was a lot easier whenever you were talking about marbles. Do you and your friends talk about this kind of thing often?”

In response Lenora gave a quick nod. “Yep!”

A sigh escaped Mina as she leaned against a near by building partly closing her eyes as she did so. “My ears are killing me.”

In response to Mina's comment Dan walked over to her and placed a hand on her massive thigh. “I'm sorry that it took us this long to find and destroy all the crystals Mina.”

“It's not your fault. I'm starting to hear my sisters once again at least. Now that we're communicating freely we can secure the area around the village sections. We're still going to have trouble finding the escapees without the ability to smell them out. I'm certain that's why they were favoring speed so much now.”

“I wish that I could help you there but I'm at a loss for what I could do.”

“I'm sure that a few mages are working on the problem. Dan is there anyway that alchemy can be used to mask a scent?”

In response Dan gave a quick nod. “Of course it can.”

“Well that isn't comforting. Is it difficult to do?”

“Yeah especially on this large of a scale. It can be done though and these people had produced several signing crystals.”

To this Mina gave a quick nod. “Dan I would like to join the hunt for the escapees but I don't want to leave you unable to move. After all you might come up with another way of tracking them down.”

“Mina after the check you and your sisters did throughout the market what's the odds of their being any escapees here?”

“You have a point there.”

“Besides it's not like I'm exactly helpless! The alchemy shop should have all the supplies I need to cook up anything I think of while you're gone. If they did use alchemy to mask their scent there isn't really anything I can do though.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she shook her head. “Oh sure you're not helpless by human standards.” Before she continued speaking Mina reached out and took hold of Dan easily lifting him from the ground and squeezing him against her massive chests as she hugged him. “You're just down right cuddly by our standards though.”

“You know the body alone isn't what determines ones abilities.”

“I know. Okay you stay here and if you think of something that could help us well I'm sure you can implement it by yourself.”

“If nothing else I'll have one of your sisters yell for you now that you can hear again.”

“If you were going to use alchemy to suppress your scent what would you use?”

“I can't remember the name but there is an elixir that's part poison and part health potion. What it does is stop biological action such as shedding dead skin cells and actually purifies sweat. This results in the person not having any scent once those skin cells that are ready to be shed have already gone. However, prolonged use is lethal.”

“I see. So how long could one survive under these affects?”

“It depends on the person and species really. A human would probably hold together for a bit over a day due to the elixirs healing aspects. They would be in very poor condition after it wore off though.”

“Do you believe that they would have used this elixir?”

“It would be far safer and easier to have a mage cast a still air spell.”

“Okay then. Dan do you believe I should work under the assumption that we're dealing with a mage?”

In response Dan gave his head a quick nod. “Yes though that thought worries me.”

“It worries me to. I don't know of any of the claimed being mages. If one of them was a mage they must have concealed it early on and kept it hidden all this time.” A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “The forest is tough to travel through but a magic user could change all of that.”

Stella had a wide smile on her face as she held Allen against herself having already covered her babies faces in kisses. It felt good to have his tiny arms wrapped around her neck once again. As Allen hugged her though she turned her attention to Pera. “Pera thank you for saving Allen.”

Pera was wearing a wide smile as she stood a few meters away from Stella looking up at her. “Ah well I didn't really do it for you.”

A slight chuckle escaped Stella as she nodded her head. “I know. You and Allen are good friends.”

Before Pera could say anything Allen spoke up. “But mom what are you doing back so soon? Shouldn't you be out hunting for the escapees? Pera told me that the crystals went quiet.”

A sigh escaped Stella as she shook her head. “Allen mommy made a bit of a mistake while she was out hunting. I might or might not be in some trouble.”

“What? What's wrong? Are you going to be okay?”

“Don't worry baby I'm going to be fine. I might have to spend some time away from you though.”

“How much time?”

“Not much. I might not be able to take you to lunch or dinner everyday as I might be busy but don't worry I'll still see you every day.”

In response to this Allen gave a quick nod. “What did you do?”

“I was a little rougher on some of the escapees then I should have been right away. Pera if you don't mind. I would like you to keep an eye on Allen if I'm busy.”

“Mom! It's not dangerous within the village. Pera doesn't need to watch me constantly.”

A slight giggle escaped Stella as she shook her head. “I know baby but I would still feel better knowing one of my sisters was with you. Especially when you two seem so fond of one another anyway.”

Before Allen could protest Pera spoke up. “I'd be happy to keep an eye on him.”

“Thank you Pera.” As she spoke Stella lowered Allen back to the ground and placed him near Pera.

William couldn't help but frown as he looked at the results of his work. The wisp they'd conjured wasn't behaving up to expectations. Whatever magic had been used was relatively low intensity and thus the being wasn't certain of where to go. Rather it had began by moving about the room violently as if it had found something then it had settled down and just seemed to be floating there.

As Carter looked at the wisp he gave his head a slight shake. “I suppose we underestimated whoever set this all up. They were careful to keep the magic too weak to locate beyond a certain point.”

William was visibly upset as he shook his head. “Damn it all. This has proven to be a most upsetting experience. I believe we should check on the sisters and see if they've made any progress.”

“Maria you're back!” Alexa had a massive grin on her face as she approached her smaller sister and noted the two she'd brought along for the trip.

“Yeah I thought I should bring these two back before I continued searching.”

“It's a good thing you did. Dan has been wanting to examine some more of the escapees for a while now. Stella found some earlier but ended up killing them before she brought them back so that didn't help us at all. Fortunately Mina managed to bring some of them back when they tried to take Joseph and Dan hostage.”

To this Maria gave a quick nod. “What? They tried to take Joseph hostage?”

“Ah well they were planning on it or some such. I didn't ask about the details whenever they were delivered earlier.”

“Is Dan examining them now?” As Maria spoke she did her best to hide the fact that her claws were extending.

“Yeah.”

“Well then I suppose I should bring these two to him.”

“Yes I think that would be a very good ideal. Well actually.” As she spoke Alexa reached out and took hold of one of the escapees. She didn't pay him any mind as he screamed whenever she lifted him into the air and tossed him over her shoulder. “You bring that one to Dan I have another ideal for this one.”

“Oh?”

“Yes. Carter and a few others are currently trying to figure out a way to find the escapees. Last I heard they were working on a wisp to track the magic. Maybe having someone to study that's currently under the effects of the still air spell will help them.”

“So they're certain that it's a still air spell?”

In response Alexa gave a slight shrug. “I don't know but it seems like a good guess in my opinion. Anyway, you go and speak with Dan.”

Dan set silently as he stared at the beaker before him. He'd tested the ones already brought in to see if they had any form of magic substance in their system. He was relieved to find out that they didn't have anything. At least nothing that he could trace though their skin was tainted very lightly with magic. A sign that a spell had been recently cast upon them. “I don't know if I should be happy or worried.”

“Worried about what?” As Maria entered the work area she immediately began to look around for the escapees Alexa had mentioned. She had actually been quite surprised while walking towards the building. She could hear and smell her sisters all around her now but she didn't detect any in the building with Dan. Now she knew why. The three that had been brought in earlier were quite well bound.

“Oh? Hey Maria. Sorry I was talking to myself.”

“Not a problem. So what are you not sure about?”

In response Dan gestured towards the men. “They clearly have some form of magic spell keeping them from being tracked. I checked for an alchemical substances and so far I haven't found anything though I can't say that with absolute certainty I am pretty sure alchemy isn't being used to hide their scent.”

“Then it's a still air spell like we thought. What has you worried?”

In response Dan gave his head a slight shake. “I don't believe it's a still air spell as I remembered a major draw back of such spells.”

“What is that?”

“Well one major draw back is it makes it very hard to catch your breath. Still air literally affects the air around you if I remember correctly so that it's harder to take breath. It's not impossible or anything but it makes a regular walk quite an event and well these escapees haven't been walking away they've been running.”

“I see your point. So do you have any ideal of what type of spell it could have been?”

“It's time like these that I really wish I had learned more mage craft. I'm certain they're other things that could be done but they aren't coming to me.”

In response Maria gave a nod. “Well I brought you another to examine. Do you think that'll help?”

“Of course, I might learn something that I didn't notice from the previous three.”

In response Maria gave a nod and walked over to the three that were currently bound. “I was wondering why none of my sisters where in here with you. I didn't expect to see this though.”

A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “It wasn't my ideal. Given how quickly one of your sisters could be in here were I to shout or they hear a disturbance this really seems like over kill. Honestly I think they tied them up like that in part for revenge.”

“Mm probably. We can be quite vengeful even over little things.”

Immediately Dan felt his pulse quicken as he turned towards Maria. “Oh no. No you don't. Stella has already killed six of them.”

“Huh?”

“I have a good ideal of what you're thinking. Someone must have told you what they tried to do and you're thinking about making them suffer for it.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as her lips parted in a smile revealing her teeth to the captives. “Well maybe I am.”

“Maria just hold on. Mina is plenty upset with them right now and she was able to restrain herself so I know you can to.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she got a good look at one of the captives. “I don't know about that. It looks like he took quite a heavy hit to the stomach.”

“Maria if you want to bang them up a bit that's fine but you are not to kill them. Do you understand me?”

For a moment Maria looked back at Dan though her smile didn't go away. “Are you telling me what to do?”

“Yes. Yes I most assuredly am.”

In response to this Maria gave a slight giggle and turned her attention back towards the captives. “You three are so damn lucky that he's got the authority to do that. At least right now he does.”

A sigh escaped Dan as Maria stood up and began to move away from the three. As they were currently bound and restrained he had the authority to call down someone of Maria's ranking. Though he couldn't have said anything if Mina or another keeper decided to kill them. Of course even with Maria that authority was very fragile. “Thank you Maria.”

“Oh I'm sure I'll see the wisdom in what you've done later. You said I could hurt them though.”

“Well yes.”

“Would breaking their legs hinder your work?”

“No, I can't say that it would.”

“That's good. Dan where is the rope? I figure I'll just bind this one as well.” As she spoke Maria placed a hand on the shoulder of the claimed she'd brought in.

Before Dan could respond he took a moment to glance to where he normally stored such items. After a few moments of looking around the room he gave a shrug. “I can't seem to find where they put it.”

“Alright then I'll just have to look around.”

***********************************************************************************

A sigh escaped Carter as he shook his head. “They used a weak purification spell. Damn it.”

In response to this comment Alexa gave a shrug. “Okay what does that mean?”

“Purification spells remove contaminants. Dead materials and toxins. The one they used seem to have been tooled so that it's cleansing their sweat as it comes off and destroying dead skin particles very quickly. So they're not leaving behind anything that you can smell.”

“Is there a way to counter act it?”

In response to this William spoke up. “Purification spells generally aren't something people try to find a way to counter until you're developing a poison. That's more alchemies business then ours though. Honestly it's a very clever use of such magics.”

Instead of agreeing or arguing Alexa gave a shrug. “Okay then how long will it last?”

To this William gave a shrug. “No idea. That said it isn't like there is nothing we can do. If we can examine the energies that they're currently saturated in we can develop a spell to track that particular type of energy.”

It was impossible for Carter not to raise his voice as he looked at William. “Just how long do you expect that to take?!”

In response to Carter's out burst William gave a shrug. “Carter it looks like you're more upset then you've been letting on.”

“Of course I'm upset. Back when I thought this was a still air spell it seemed it would be easy to beat. When the wisp didn't work I still thought we could do it but this is just ridiculous.”

After a moment Alexa gave a shrug. “Okay I'm going to go inform my sisters. At least we have our hearing back before they expected us to regain it I'm sure that'll help in their capture.”

Before Alexa could leave Carter spoke up. “Hold on a moment Alexa. Weren't you suppose to take Markus out and see if he could locate anymore of the escapees?”

In response Alexa gave a quick nod. “Yeah I was but we found another sister to take care of it. With the market cleared of those crystals and our hearing restored we felt it was safe to spread out a bit more.”

***********************************************************************************

“Joseph do you sleep?”

For a moment Joseph glanced at Lenora curiously. “Well yes I have to.”

Of course Lenora knew that humans had to sleep even her species had that little weak point. She just wanted an opener. “Why were you in such a rush to get back here then?”

“I wanted to insure the reaction was continuing properly.”

“You weren't gone long at all though. How do you watch the reaction when you're sleeping for eight hours?”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “I wish I could sleep for eight hours. I sleep with a signal glyph on my hand that wakes me up if things begin to tip too far out of balance. It's actually connected to the glyph that's helping to sustain the reaction so that whenever the energy becomes unstable it awakens.”

“Oh. How much do you tend to get woken up?”

“Three to five times in one night is pretty common.”

“Wow. You don't look that bad off for someone that keeps getting woke up.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “Thanks. You get used to these things whenever you work on alchemy long enough. Unless you have a team to help maintain such reactions you don't get a whole lot of solid sleep. That's another reason why I don't immediately try again once one batch fails.”

“Why would it fail?”

“Huh? Oh sorry I forgot it was Maria I told about that. This isn't a guaranteed thing there is nothing saying the seeds inside will survive the transformation. I wouldn't really be surprised if instead of having seeds once this was done I ended up studying mush and trying to figure out what went wrong.”

“Ah! That sucks!”

“That's just one of the things you learn to deal with as an alchemist.”

“So you expect things to go wrong?”

“Whenever you're developing a new formula or life form of course you expect things to go wrong. It would be remarkable to the point of being a miracle if something didn't go wrong.”

A sigh escaped Lenora as she shook her head. “That has got to suck.”

“Not as long as you gain knowledge that's worth as much or more then the frustration.”

A slight giggle escaped Lenora as she shook her head. “I'd get pretty damn frustrated if I had to stay here watching a test tube so closely all the time. I don't know if there is any knowledge that I would consider worth that frustration.”

“Why did you volunteer to stay behind with me then?”

“Curiosity of course.”

“So you wanted to see what was going on inside of here?”

“Yep! That's why I asked if you still had the bracelets, necklace and anklets around.”

“I see. So was it worth staying behind?”

“Well it's been fun talking to you.”

***********************************************************************************

Dan could tell that all four of the escapees were quite upset with him at the moment. That wasn't surprising though considering the number of skin scrapings he'd been forced to take from them recently. Currently he found himself trying to analyze the mystic energies that clung to their bodies from the modified purification spell. Once that was done he would be able to adjust a singing crystal to the energy so that it would resonate when close to it.

“You know what's the most frustrating part of all this? The fainter the energy the harder it is to get a good reading on it. I swear if they'd used a more powerful spell I would have gotten this right four tries ago. As things are going I'm afraid I'm going to have to have one of the girls come in here and just skin one of you if I'm going to get the information I need.”

As Dan was speaking he didn't expected a reply from any of the escapees. They were bound and gagged quite nicely so that couldn't happen. “I don't know maybe I should just leave this all up to Carter and the others. They're the mages they're the ones with experience handling this kind of stuff. Then again I suppose I should at least be working with them now that we're on the same page.”

For a moment Dan grew still as he watched the reaction before him. He wasn't all that surprised to see the solution turning clear meaning once again he had failed to obtain the information he desired. A long sigh escaped him as he rubbed his head. “Did you know that energy clings to certain body parts longer then others? I bet that you didn't.”

“Dan are you alright?”

“Huh?” Upon hearing the voice Dan glanced towards the door where he found Alexa standing. “I'm just having a hard time getting this to work.”

“Yeah we heard. We all heard. Just so you know just about everyone here is perfectly willing to work with you on the skinning part.”

“Oh Alexa I was just messing around. Skinning them alive wouldn't really improve my odds any.”

“Just the same we're willing to help you out. Also you're sounding tired.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he nodded his head. “I am. It's kind of late or is it early at this point?”

“Dan how about I take you to meet with the mages?”

“That might be best. I just figured that I would continue working alone each one of us trying our own path and seeing if we could find something.”

“It doesn't seem like your path is proving fruitful though and besides. Dan I know you well enough to realize that it's not a good thing whenever you start talking to yourself.”

“I wasn't talking to myself they're four other people in here with me.”

“Dan they're bound and gagged! They're not going to respond they might as well be furniture right now.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he began to lightly rub his right eye lid with the palm of his hand. “Well I can't argue with that.”

It was impossible for Alexa not to grin. “Okay Dan you're going to meet with some of the mages.”

***********************************************************************************

As Tera walked a short distance behind Markus she tried to keep quiet. He was moving far too slow for her liking and if he had been one of her sisters she'd accused him of wanting the escapees to make it. It was only by constantly reminding herself that she was following a human that she was able to keep calm and realize that for a human tracker he was moving quickly.

“Tera would you please quit kicking me in the back of the legs.”

“Huh? I'm not kicking you.”

“Yes you are. You keep walking up on me kick me a few times and fall back and it's beginning to seriously hurt.”

“What are you?” Tera didn't get to finish.

In response to Tera's comment Markus had lifted the back of his pants legs so she could see where she'd been kicking him. “Are they turning into bruises yet?”

“Sorry.” A sigh escaped Tera as she fell even further back from Markus. “I'll make sure you get some healing salve when we get back and let them know its my fault so not to debt you.”

“Thank you but please keep your distance. At least your claws weren't out.”

“Um Markus are you sure that I couldn't just carry you though? You're moving so damn slowly.”

“Even an easy to find trail takes some patience thank you very much. I could hardly pay attention to where I was going let alone look for a path if I was clinging to your back.”

“I could walk slowly.”

“I've seen what you people consider slow. I don't call a horse at full gallop slow.”

A sigh escaped Tera as she shook her head. “Isn't there anything you could do to speed this up?”

“No but there is something you could do.”

“What?”

“Show some patience and quit distracting me.”

***********************************************************************************

Lenora had been woken by her sisters approaching well before they'd reached the door. Believing that they may be there to relieve her and not wanting them to wake Joseph she'd opened the door in advance. It seemed odd though whenever she found Maria and Mira standing outside the door. “Is something going on?”

In response Mira gave her head a quick nod. “Yeah, we're here to see if Joseph would come with us and to let you know you don't need to watch him any longer.”

“So you found all the escapees?”

In response Maria shook her head in the negative. “No. We're still looking for them but this location is secure. Several groups have been formed to try and find ways to locate the remaining escapees and further examine the situation. We're here to see if Joseph would join in.”

In response Lenora gave a nod and stepped out the door. As she did she began to remove the jewelery she'd been wearing inside. “Then you'll need this if you're going to go inside.”

As Lenora removed the jewelery Maria quickly retrieved it not waiting for Mira to even reach for it. “I'll stay around until he wakes up and then explain the situation. We want them well wrested.”

In response Lenora gave a nod. “Do you think he'll come with you though? He's been so careful to watch that reaction for several days now.”

To this Maria gave a nod. “I'm not entirely sure if he'll be willing to leave it for a prolonged period of time. That's why we're here to ask him.”

“Hey Mira, Maria could you two tell me exactly where we stand right now with the escape?”

To this Mira gave a nod. “Most of the escapees have been located and rounded up. Especially those that didn't have any true training to survive in the wilderness. Some of them have already been found killed as well apparently they weren't very careful of where they were going.”

To this Lenora gave a nod. “Okay how many remain free though?”

A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Between the bodies we've found and those we've managed to recapture it seems that eleven remain free.”

“So you believe the mage is amongst one of them?”

In response Maria gave a shrug. “Actually we're not sure. After speaking with their keepers we can't find anything to tell us exactly who the mage might have been. It's really proving frustrating”

“What's going on here?” As he spoke Joseph brought himself out of his little makeshift bed and began to walk towards the three beast girls. At the moment he was too tired to think of how messy he was at the moment.

In response to Joseph waking up Maria was quick to speak. “Morning Joseph we've come to ask you for some help.”

“What's the trouble?”

“We've found most of the escapees but not all of them. So we're gathering together several alchemist, mages and a few others to help with finding a way to locate them. Our sisters are currently searching the forest as well. We wanted to know if you'd like to help.”

For a moment Joseph was going to agree but as he woke up further he remembered what he was doing. “Maria I would love to but I can't. I doubt that this is something that could be done in just a few hours and even then that would be pushing it.”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “That's fine Joseph. Well then if you don't mind put these back up.” As she spoke Maria proceeded to remove the jewelery Lenora had handed her only moments earlier. “I'll bring you some breakfast later is that okay?”

“That would be nice Maria.”

“I'll see you later then.”

***********************************************************************************

“So Dan did you have any luck isolating any mystic residue from those affected by the purification spell?”

In response Dan gave a sigh and shook his head. “I used the purist and most precise equipment I had on hand but I couldn't do it. Did you have any luck?”

In response Carter gave his head a slight shake. “Sadly no. We didn't have any luck isolating the energy which makes development of a wisp to track that exact energy problematic.”

“Why don't you just develop a wisp to track the energy used in such purification spells? It can't be commonly cast in the forest after all.”

“Unfortunately that wouldn't work. The energy used in such spells are fairly similar the wisp could very well end up tracking down a healing potion and given how many of them are stored near here that's quite likely.”

“I see. So you need a sample of the casters spiritual energy thus you need some of the mystic residue from the original spell.”

“Exactly.”

A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “I bet that the eleven that are currently missing are traveling together. The others were most likely just decoys.”

In response Carter gave a nod. “That wouldn't be surprising. Most likely the mage is with them and constantly refreshing the spell so that they can remain undetected.”

“I take it Markus is still aiding in the search efforts.”

In response Carter gave a quick nod. “Yes.”

“Does it seem fairly likely that he'll find them then? After all a group of eleven traveling together should leave him plenty of clues to track.”

To this Carter gave a slight shrug. “I'm afraid that I'm not versed enough in tracking to answer that. He may choose not to help to his full effectiveness anyway. He's already honored his agreement to an extent that the sisters couldn't deny him what he requested. I don't believe they would allow us to over rule them in such manners either nor would I want to.”

To this Dan gave a nod. “I believe that we should reach out to the other forest dwellers and allow them to know of the situation.”

William had been quiet up until now but chose to speak up. “I don't believe that's necessary. If one of the friendlier groups finds them they'll most likely realize they're escapees and besides. I doubt orcs would treat humans to well and I highly doubt they would show them the way out of the forest.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he gave a nod. “As for the kobolds and ogres we know what will happen if they find them. Okay I take back my previous suggestion. Perhaps we should just focus on trying to find ways to locate them. I've been thinking and maybe we should just use a general purpose magic detector well away from the villages so that it won't throw them off.”

To this Carter spoke up. “What about the dryads, orcs, dragons and other mystic users? We could very well end up detecting them instead of the escapees and that would do us no good.”

Now Dan had a grin on his face as he responded. “Not if we insure the sisters know not to go towards any of those locations. That way we can try to direct the escapees towards one of the other species of forest dwellers. After all, generally where there is strong magic there is some form of danger if you're not on friendly terms with the user of that magic.”

To this Carter gave a nod. “Ah I see your point. Very well then what kind of magic detectors would you suggest though?”

“I could make some jelly that responds to magic. It should do the trick.”

Mirin had listened intently to the conversation up until this point but now chose to speak up. “That's a good suggestion Dan and one I believe we should have implemented quickly. However, I don't believe you should be the one to prepare it let's leave that up to those who have less important roles to perform shall we?”

In response to the comment Dan looked towards Mirin. On his chest he wore the badge of the brothers five fingers fully extended and three claws adorning those fingers. “I'm worried about the quality of the jelly.”

“Then we will test the quality of the jelly made by the claimed before our sisters leave with it and if it's found lacking they will make another batch. If they are believed to be intentionally delaying us they will be punished. We can also request that other alchemist who could not join us here also help.”

“That's is a good point Mirin.”

“On another note I would like to try and find out if they might have used a teleportation spell to try and leave the forest.”

Now Carter chose to speak up again. “Mirin if they did choose to use such a spell they're most likely dead. Without a stable departure point and arrival point such things are dangerous enough as is. In this forest it becomes all the more difficult though.”

In response Mirin gave a nod. “This I know. That is why I wish to know though. If that is the case they're either outside our reach or dead and we can call off this search all together.”

***********************************************************************************

A sigh escaped Stella as she sniffed the mushrooms insuring that they were the correct type. While her official punishment hadn't began it seemed like she would be punished. Her first task was simple supply retrieval. With so many of her sisters out hunting for the escapees and others having to stay and keep an eye on those that had been captured someone had to do it. As she'd proven unable to control herself around the escapees she'd been given this task.

It was a rather depressing time for her though. She knew that this was normally the time she'd be taking Allen to breakfast with her. Most likely Pera was doing the same thing right now. It was only on a very rare occasion that she missed eating a meal with her little boy and knowing that it would most likely happen several days in a row didn't leave her feeling very good.

“Damn it!” As Stella cried out she extended her claws and quickly lashed out at the nearest object. The tree gave a sharp crack as her powerful claws ripped through it and her fingers burst through the tree as if it was a sapling. For a moment Stella was made to growl as she felt her anger creeping into her mind.

It took Stella a few moments to even realize what she'd done and she was made to inhale sharply. Her eyes were shut and she focused on getting herself back under control. Unfortunately her temper had always been explosive in nature. She tended to be very calm but whenever someone did hit one of her buttons it was on a hair trigger.

With her anger back under control Stella reached down and retrieved her basket. She had quite a few more stops to make before the day was up.

***********************************************************************************

Joseph set quietly looking at the tiny seed before him. He'd retrieved it from the alchemical solution and promptly began to examine it. Fortunately Maria hadn't stayed around to see what he was doing. He trusted Maria or he felt that he did but part of him still didn't want her to be there. He didn't want her to know that it seemed one of the seeds had finished it's transformation until he was certain it had.

Of course removing the seed had decreased the chance of the others surviving. It had changed the solution and forced him to balance things very quickly. However, if he'd left the seed inside there is a chance it would have been destroyed and he only needed one finished seed to begin his work. He'd just finished inspecting what he believed to be a healthy seed and was delighted to find that it was indeed a seed of the life bloom.

It was with obscene care that he picked up the seed and made his way over to a large pot. The container could have comfortably housed dozens of the seeds but he wanted to insure the young plant had all the room it needed to grow. Several glyphs adorned the sides of the pot all of them rather weak but due to their numbers quite effective. Each of them was a glyph meant to block out a certain type of magic to prevent anything from interfering with the growth of the young plant.

There was actually a feeling of great relief as he placed the seed in the soil and carefully covered it up. It was odd but he felt happy knowing the only thing he could do for the plant now was provided nutrient rich soil, clean water and protect it to the best of his ability.

***********************************************************************************

It had surprised Maria whenever Joseph had said he'd prefer to stay at his workshop rather then come with them. He'd already helped them plenty but he'd past up a chance to earn more points. At least he was going to get another chance though as Maria knocked on the door. She hoped he wouldn't pass it up. “Joseph I brought you some lunch and a little something extra.”

In response to the voice Joseph quickly made his way over to the door and opened it up. He was actually surprised whenever he noted the look on Maria's face. “What?”

“Joseph what were you doing?!”

“Huh?”

“You look like you haven't slept for days. You weren't nearly this rough this morning.”

In response to this comment Joseph reached up and ran his hand along his face. Immediately he noted thick stubble though that couldn't be it. He would have had fairly thick stubble that morning. “It's nothing to worried about Maria I just get this way whenever a high goes down.”

“A high? Oh you mean the escape!”

At first Joseph was going to deny this but upon a seconds more consideration he chose to roll with it. “Finding out I'm needed for an emergency tends to pep me up but after I learn it's over I tend to crash after words. The same thing happens whenever a very long project is coming to an end.”

To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Alright then. Well I brought you some lunch and this.” As she spoke Maria held out a slip of paper. “This is a request from Mirin he wants you to produce as many of these as you can.”

“Huh? Who's Mirin?”

“Ah whoops! You wouldn't know him. He's one of our higher ranked brothers. His rank actually surpasses my mother's rank amongst the sisters.”

“You mean I could have met one of your pure brothers today?!”

“Ah well maybe. I'm not sure if he'd made his appearance known if you had been there but as no one there was below rank five he decided to show up personally.”

“I see. So I take it this is something I can't refuse.”

“Um well. It would be in your best interest not to refuse.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “I see. What if I have something more important to do?”

“Ah well you can refuse! I didn't say you couldn't however, denying a request from Mirin isn't going to help you any. Once you become a full fledged member you're going to be expected to recognize rank just like the wrest of us and give it the respect that it deserves.”

“If I choose to remain here and become a rank five you mean.”

For a moment Maria felt herself slump for a moment. She hadn't expected Joseph to say such a thing and in truth it hurt her to an extent. “Yeah. If you choose to remain.”

It was impossible for Joseph to not notice how Maria's facial expression had changed and her posture. “I'm sorry Maria that wasn't very nice of me. I enjoy it here and I enjoy your company. I guess I just don't like the fact that I'm suddenly being ordered around again.”

“Again?”

“Like whenever I worked for the Gale kingdom. They were numerous times I was side tracked by fancies of the nobility and it proved very frustrating. However, that isn't an excuse. This isn't some minor frivolous matter it's a major breach of security. I'll get to work on the jelly right away.”

“Thanks Joseph. Are you sure you don't want to sleep some though? You're a total mess.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “If I sleep now I'm not going to wake up for a very long time. I'll just sleep very well tonight.”

***********************************************************************************

It felt strange not to have his mother with him. As Allen set next to Pera he found himself staring at his food. He was used to getting a ride to breakfast by clinging to his mothers massive leg. She wouldn't let him ride like that whenever she was running but walking was perfectly fine. He was also used to setting on his mothers massive thigh rather in a chair.

“Allen are you okay?”

In response to Pera's voice Allen glanced over at her. “Yeah I'm fine. I'm just not feeling very hungry.”

“Come on Allen. You know that Stella wouldn't want you to go hungry.”

“I know.”

“I don't want you to be hungry either.”

For a moment Allen was made to smile and took a small bit of his food. “Thanks Pera. Would you like my eggs? I don't really like this type of egg.”

“Um well yeah I would.”

In response to this Allen picked up his plate and began to carefully push the eggs out of it and into Pera's plate. “I'm sorry that you have to take care of me like this.”

“Bah! We hang out all the time this isn't any different. It does feel kind of odd knowing Stella isn't watching us though.”

“Or even listening to us.”

A slight giggle escaped Pera as she took a moment to lightly nibble on her food. “Hey Allen as we don't have anyone really watching us now would you like to go exploring?”

“Um it depends on where you want to go.”

“Hm oh they're lots of places that should be fun. I still want to see what Joseph has been working on for one thing. Maybe we could go and check in on some of the meetings going on some of the higher ranked brothers are there now.”

“By exploring you seem to mean things that if we're caught we're in trouble.”

“Come on it'll be fun.”

“How about we go swimming instead? That's fun.”

A slight chuckle escaped Pera as she nodded her head. “True. Okay after we eat lets go swimming.”

***********************************************************************************

“What's the matter Maria?”

In response to Joseph's comment Maria glanced up and towards him. “This stuff just looks strange. How does it work exactly?”

“The jelly responds to magic by absorbing it. It converts the absorbed magic into light energy which lets the holder know how close they are to a source of magic or how powerful that source is. It's really not the best indicator though but easy to produce.”

“Ah I see.” For a moment Maria went silent and bit down on her lower lip. “How well does it work whenever its near something thats using that energy though?”

“Pretty well actually. It's fairly over responsive. Watch this.” As he spoke Joseph took a moment to retrieve one of the test tubes in his workshop. He was a bit surprised though whenever he was halfway over to Maria before it began to respond. “That's um strange. Maybe this batch isn't very good.”

“Huh? Why?”

“Well it should have responded by glowing brighter then it already is the moment I began to walk towards you.”

“You mean its glowing now?”

“Yeah normally the jelly is a sort of murky white. Well no that isn't right. If it's not in the presence of magic it's a murky white however it's so responsive that it's rarely that color except under controlled conditions.”

“Why would it be bad though?”

“It took way too long to respond. Normally this stuff is used whenever you don't want any magic in the area but you don't want to waste your time or resources on singing crystals. Of course it has a rather short shelf life as well.”

“Oh don't worry about it taking a while to respond. How long does it last though?”

“Typically a week.”

In response Maria gave a nod. “That should be all the time we need. So just how much is needed?”

“I'd suggest taking a fist full when you're out searching. You only need enough that you can notice the glow though and won't easily lose it.”

***********************************************************************************

Linerd gave a sigh as he made his way through the forest following closely behind his fellow escapees. They had been traveling for a solid twenty four hours at least to put as much distance between themselves and the beast girls as they could. Now the potions they'd used to keep up their stamina were at an end and several of them were clearly feeling the affects. Unfortunately he couldn't bring himself to speak or complain for fear of being heard.

Nivon gave a sigh as he looked over his shoulders at the others. He'd been leading and clearing the path for a while. “We need to take a break and give ourselves time wrest.” Even as he spoke Nivon took a few more steps but only to a place to settle down. He then proceeded to glance around at the others. “Keep conversation quiet.”

With Nivon speaking Linerd felt more confident. “I wish that we could take some of the river paths. It would be so much easier if we could let the water carry us at least part of the way out of this forest.”

“They'll be patrolling the rivers expecting just that. Fortunately that over grown bitch didn't find all our supplies or we wouldn't even have anything to drink and we'd have no choice but to journey close to those rivers.”

“Speaking of food when are we going to search for some?”

In response to this Nivon chose to speak up. “From here on out you should be constantly examining your surroundings and looking for any food of opportunity. We've all been here long enough that I trust you all know what you can and can't eat.”

“Yeah, we've been so busy running I guess no one has been looking.”

Instead of responding right away Nivon reached behind himself and drew out a short sword. As he began to inspect the blade he gave a slight chuckle. “I can't believe I've been reduced to using this junk.”

“It's all any of us could get out of there. They took all the iron we have and monitor its usage as if it was gold.”

To this Nivon gave a nod. “I know. I'm sure that the king will be interested in that information once we get out of here. On another note I've been meaning to ask. Who amongst you made those scrolls we used?”

As Nivon asked the question Lenard began to look around searching for anyone that might be about to speak up. He knew a fair number of the people with them so he knew they weren't the mage. However, he was surprised whenever none of them spoke up. “Come now you're not in any danger if you speak up?”

Nivon set quietly for a few moments more. “So none of you made the scrolls? Bren you were the one that gave me my scrolls I know that.”
Chapter 6 by happiest_in_shadows

    In response Bren gave a shrug. “I got mine from another prisoner.”

    “Can you tell us anything about him?”

    “Sorry but I met him through another person.”

    A groan escaped Nivon as he looked around. “I had thought for certain the mage would be with us. It seems that if they are though they're still keeping their identity a secret.”

***********************************************************************************

    “I really don't like using such methods.” A sigh escaped Mina as she pushed the escapees head back under the water and looked towards the others that were currently restrained. Instead of speaking again she waited until the one she was holding had to breath and she'd let him up to continue. “I don't even have a good ideal of who amongst you might be the mage.” Once again Mina pushed the humans head under the water and waited until she brought him back up to continue. “We need to know though.”

    Flora gave a sigh as she listened to Mina working. They didn't know who the mage was but they needed to find out. So they were just going to have to go through each of the escapees one at a time until they'd spoken with each one of them. Of course this wasn't something that they could confess to. “You all realize that you're eventually all going to get a turn unless the mage speaks up. However, don't even think you can claim to be the caster and save yourself some pain or save some of your fellows.”

    Sumon had managed to be quiet throughout most of their capture but as he watched Mina work and listened to Flora he had to speak up. “What's going to happen to us once you've worked all of us over?”

    In response Flora gave a shrug. “If we still don't know who the mage is we're going to do something even worse. Then after that if we still don't know we're going to work you over even harder.”

    “How would we prove that we're the mage though if a confession isn't enough?!”

    A slight giggle escaped Flora as she looked at the restrained claimed. “Simple you can toss a fire ball at one of us or a lightning bolt or anything else to prove that you have some mystic skill.”

    Before any of the prisoners could say anything Mina spoke up. “Of course, if you know who the mage is you could tell one of us.” A slight giggle escaped Mina as she lifted the man's head out of the water again. “If we find out you lied to us though you'll have to endure an even more unpleasant fate.”

    Despite the situation Sumon had to try something. “So you're just going to keep torturing us until you get an answer or we die!? That's.”

    Before the escapee could finished Flora spoke up. “You all caused us a lot of trouble and helped in the escape. You chose to take the risk knowing we'd be quite upset with you. However, we've decided that we aren't going to kill any of you. Isn't that nice?”

    “What? Then what are you going to do? When will this ever stop?”

    In response Flora gave a shrug. “Until we get an answer or we believe that we've broken you to the point that you couldn't hide a thing from us. I still can't believe Dan and the others were able to calm everyone down so quickly.”

    In response Mina gave a nod. “Who wants to take over their jobs while we replenish the number of claimed? It's amazing what one simple question can do.”

    “It was pretty wise of Dan to bring it up. I sure wasn't thinking about it at the time.”

    “Yeah but Carter did a great job of illustrating what that would mean for us. Even with masks like the one Joseph made for me not many of us can tolerate such work. Just after a quick trip through the tannery while wearing the mask I had to take around five baths before I felt clean enough to take it off.”

    It was nearly impossible for Sumon to listen to this. He had actually been surprised and somewhat grateful whenever the men had saved their lives. Now he didn't know what he should be feeling. Apparently they had only been saved as tools and as tools that had cut their masters they were going to be beaten into shape. “Isn't there anything we can do to stop this?!”

    A slight giggle escaped Mina as she looked at Sumon. “Well once I'm done with this one I'm going to put you through what he's currently having to endure as you seem so hell bent on getting my attention. Unless you have the information we want though then nope. There is nothing you can do to help yourself or anyone else at this point.”

    Sumon felt his mouth going dry as he listened to Mina. The way her voice didn't lose any of its cheerfulness just made the situation even more horrific. “This is monstrous! Even animals don't do this to one another! How can you treat this all so casually!”

    To this Mina once again spoke up. “OH that's easy! I don't give a damn about anyone of you right now. You're as dead to me as a rock and I sure don't feel any pity for rocks. I'll tell you what though, exhale sharply while I'm holding you under and inhale as much water as you can and I'll let you drown yourself.”

***********************************************************************************

    “Mirin you need to relax. Being so stressed won't help anything.”

    In response to the voice Mirin glanced up towards the massive beast girl he'd just finished pacing around. “I know Sona but I just can't convince myself to stay still.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Sona as she reached down and rubbed a figure over Mirin's back. At a solid fifteen meters tall the beast girl made the human look like a rodent or even a mouse. “You don't need to worry even if one of the escapees was a mage and made it out of the forest it isn't likely they could have learned anything.”

    “No? If we can't even figure out who the mage is how are we suppose to say exactly what they learned.”

    “Because me and my sisters are the guardians of the village, the libraries, the citadel, the masters wrest and everything else except the market and a few minor areas. Don't you trust in us?”

    “This isn't a matter of trust Sona and you should know that. I trust you no more then I trust any of the keepers and I trust all of you with my life without hesitation.”

    “What is it a matter of then?”

    “They were able to sneak around some of the defenses you all have worked so hard to maintain. There is nothing saying that they weren't able to sneak around even more of them though the market is the least secure settled region. It still has me concerned.”

    A sigh escaped Sona as she gave a shrug. “Do you want me and a few of the others to go and search. We can search even faster then the others.”

    “I don't believe it has come to that.”

    “Well if things aren't that bad then you should just relax a little.” As she spoke Sona reached down and wrapped a hand around the majority of Mirin's body. She didn't bother asking for permission to pick him up as she lifted him into the air and placed him in her lap. “Now quit walking around so much.”

    “It helps me think.”

    A slight giggle escaped Sona as she released her grip on Mirin though she didn't set him down. “Think right there and stay still. Didn't you do all your thinking while meeting with the others though?”

    “We came up with some good ideals I believe. However, I'm worried that even once we find all the escapees it'll be difficult to find the mage.”

    “Knowing my sisters if the mage doesn't reveal itself you'll just have a bunch of broken claimed to work with. Either way he'll be a none threat once that has happened.”

    A sigh escaped Mirin as he shook his head. “Or it could mean the mage wasn't amongst them.”

    “Huh?”

    “It's just something that I've been thinking of. What if of the escapees that are brought back the mage isn't even amongst them? Perhaps it was in the group that Stella ripped apart or the first one that was found dead.”

    “I kind of doubt it was the one that was found dead. Now as for the ones Stella found that is possible.”

    “Also I feel like they're something else I'm not thinking of.”

    “Well pushing it won't help just try to relax and make yourself comfortable.” As she spoke Sona reached down and pushed her massive hand against Mirin pressing him back into her abdomen while he set on her thigh.

***********************************************************************************

    Nivon wasn't happy with this change of events. He'd been careful to gather those he knew well or at least knew of. He'd chosen the people with the most wilderness skills that he could gather without carrying along extra baggage to improve their odds of escaping from the forest. So he'd felt certain that he would end up picking the mage for his group yet none of the men amongst them was owning up to this status. It had him worried.

    “Hey Nivon how many more of those scrolls do we have?”

    “We only have three remaining.”

    “What?! That isn't enough for all of us.”

    “Gee you think?”

    “What are we going to do?”

    A sigh escaped Nivon as he shook his head. “Once the magic affecting all of us expires we're going to draw lots to see who gets the remaining scrolls. Those three are going to have to leave the group and travel on their own.”

    “Why leave the group?”

    “Because there is no point in three people that don't give off a scent being tracked by those that do. Plus it's the price of leaving the group. If three people don't want to leave the group then the two that do decide to can take the scrolls and fight over the last one themselves.”

    In response to this Linerd gave his head a shake. “Damn it all.”

    For a moment Nivon stopped and found himself staring at the ground. He'd been trying to keep track of their surroundings and find any signs that the beast girls had been using this path. He'd been expecting the signs to be in the trees but now he found himself staring at a foot print on the ground. “Shit! We can't continue along this path.”

    “What's the problem Nivon?”

    “Look.” As he spoke Nivon pointed towards the ground. The foot print was fairly human in shape except for a few problems. The way it sunk into the ground indicated a different distribution of pressure then what a human would normally do. It was also much larger and at the toes there were clear indication of claws.

    For a moment Linerd was silent as he looked at the markings he then gave a shrug. “What's the problem? One of them passed through here but that doesn't mean we can't stay on this path.”

    “There is more then one. Look ahead.”

    In response the entire group found themselves examining the ground. What they found was several foot prints all of them fairly recent. “They're patrolling this area.”

    In response Nivon gave a nod. “They know the safest paths through this forest and they're watching them. One of them could happen upon us any moment we have to move.” As he spoke Nivon didn't wait for the others but began to alter their direction a bit.

    “Nivon if we get lost in here we're as good as dead.”

    “If we get found by one of them we're as good as dead or worse.”

    Nivon chose to keep moving while speaking. “If you want to stay on this path fine if you want to come with me that's fine to. However, I'm not waiting around and we are safer in a group. They're more then a few dangerous things in this forest and we'll probably encounter one of them before we get out. Given our weapons I think we should stick together for the sake of numbers.”

***********************************************************************************

    As Joseph looked around the market he couldn't help but feel out of place. It had been quite a while since he'd last been there to pick up any supplies. It wasn't the long absence that made him feel odd it was how few people were currently walking around. Of course most of the women were out searching the forest and he knew why but it still seemed odd. There was still the smell of cooking going on and he believed the alchemy shop would still be open but they were several things that were shut down for the moment.

     Dan was actually surprised whenever he heard the door to his shop open up. Even more so whenever it was Joseph that stepped in. “Well hello there stranger it's been a while since I last saw you.”

    “Hey Dan, I decided that I could come into town and get something to eat today. Is Maria here? I was thinking that maybe we could eat together.”

    “Ah sorry Joseph I doubt she is though I wouldn't know where she was right now. Given Maria's speed I believe she'd be out helping with the search though. So Joseph how did your project turn out?”

    “I have a lot of mush to examine.” As he spoke Joseph was actually telling the truth. He would be studying the seeds that had been reduced to mush during the transformation. As long as Dan didn't ask if any of the seeds survived that would be fine.

    “I hope you learn something from it.”

    “Hey Dan I know you run the alchemy shop but you seem a bit well studied for a shopkeeper what do you do?”

    In response to the question Dan reached under the desk and brought up a rather heavy book. He quickly opened it up to a few random pages and turned it around for Joseph to see. “This is what I spend most of my time doing.”

    It only took Joseph a moment to realize what Dan was talking about. “You develop formulas?”

    “Yep. I develop them and someone else tests them. There is also a small alchemy lab in here for when I hit upon a question I really want to find the answer to quickly before I continue. Naturally I can't do anything that's really long term on my own but I trust in the testers.”

    “So who runs the test?”

    “Just some of the apprentice alchemist and mages.”

    “So now that your project has slowed down can we expect to see you here more often?”

    “Most likely it's kind of depressing the way things are right now. I guess part of me still expected to see a bunch of people walking around.”

    Before Dan could respond the door to the shop opened up and Mina stepped in. “Hey Dan I need some dried and powdered searing root. Oh hey Joseph it's good to see you here.”

    “Hello Mina, what do you need searing root for? Plan on cooking something spicy?”

    “Na, going to use it on the captured escapees.”

    “What? Why?”

    “Because pain motivates one to talk that or helps break them of course.”

    “You're torturing them?”

    In response Mina gave a quick nod. “Yep. We're trying to figure out who amongst them is the mage or break their spirit. I'm beginning to doubt they know who the mage is so I'm thinking we're just breaking their spirits at this point. Maybe it's time to let some of our sisters take out their anger on them. I know Stella would love to and Maria has a few she'd like to inflict some injuries upon.”

    “Mina what reason do you have to torture them?”

    A slight giggle escaped Mina as she immediately realized what was going on. “Joseph I'm kind of busy at the moment you can talk it over with Dan though. Dan do you have the powder?”

    “Mina I keep alchemy supplies here. What makes you think I would have a cooking ingredient?”

    “Dan I know there are a wide variety of things used in alchemy. I've even seen you use apples juice before so don't give me that.”

    In response Dan was made to grin. “Yeah I've got some. Give me a second.”

    For a moment Joseph was quiet he then quickly moved around the counter and began to walk along side Dan. “What is this about? I didn't think trying to escape brought on this kind of punishment.”

    “It depends on the means you use to try and escape. The escapees really messed up using those crystals and trying to take hostages. It was all I could do to convince the girls not to kill them there was no way to stop this from happening though.”

    “How did they mess up with the crystals?”

    “Joseph you know something about the girls. Quit letting emotions cloud your mind and remember what you know and think about it.”

    For a moment Joseph was silent yet he found himself helping Dan to lift a large sack and carry it into the main waiting room. “Those crystals were keeping them from hearing certain sound waves. I imagine to Maria, Mina and the others they were quite loud it was probably pretty painful.”

    While Mina had told Joseph to ask Dan she chose to speak up. “You got it.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “You're also punishing them for being acquainted with those that tried to take hostages. You're treating it as if they all knew of it and helped in it.”

    Before Mina could respond Dan spoke up. “I take it this will be enough Mina.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she reached down and easily retrieved the bag from the men. “Plenty.”

    Before Mina could leave Joseph had to speak up. “This isn't purely about revenge is it?”

    Now Mina gave a shrug. “Joseph I would be lying if I said that none of this had to do with revenge. This really was beyond a normal escape attempt.”

    As Mina made her way out the door Joseph turned to Dan. “Dan from what I know about you. You're a fairly moral person however I think I'm going to want to speak to Maria about this and get her people's point of view from her. If you see her do you think you could tell her to come and find me?”

    “Sure.”

***********************************************************************************

    As Maria set across from Joseph she had a wide smile in her face. It was night time by the time she'd gotten back but he'd still wanted to speak with her. “Okay Joseph I'll try to explain my reasons at least.”

    “Thanks Maria. I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around how easily your people can switch between kind and protective to brutal.”

    A slight giggle escaped Maria as she looked at Joseph. “You know we have trouble seeing how you can waste energy on those of so little value?”

    “I can't say I did.”

    “Okay Joseph here I go. Everyone of the escapee was ultimately in on the plot and while they didn't all participate in the same paths of escape they helped one another. They chose to use the singing crystals knowing full well the sound would hinder our ability to hear but they also should have known that it would be painful to us. Whether or not they realized that it would have been painful to us they should have thought of the side affects on their actions. It's one of the reasons we're not allowed to openly fight in the market no matter how mad we are.”

    “Okay so they caused you pain.”

    “Yes, however the big thing in all of this is some of them tried to take hostages. As soon as they started talking about such things they should have either got out of the plan or warned us. Any claimed attempting to harm a brother would normally be killed immediately. That includes those that helped them as well. I don't mean quickly either.”

    “You decided not to kill them though because you need the labor. Why the torture though? I know you're trying to figure out who the mage is but surely by now they would have told you or you would have found the mage. Yet you continue to torture them. You can't say that it's purely to insure that they never try such a thing again either as you said you'd let them go once they gave you the information you wanted.”

    “That's a little bit political. Some of our sisters still want to kill them and painfully. This helps diminish that desire to kill them. We do want to insure that they never try something like this ever again but we're willing to trade that off for information.”

    “I see so you feel that finding the mage is more important then insuring that they never make such a move again?”

    “Yep!”

    “Maria how do you do it though? I lived with you Flora and Mira. I've gotten to know Mina very well and you all seem to be very kind people to me. How do you torture them like that?”

    “Because they're not worth feeling anything for.”

    “Huh?”

    “Joseph I don't see why it bothers you so much.”

    “It bothers me because they're sentient beings to.”

    “Does being sentient mean you already have value?”

    “Everyone has value Maria.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Maria for a moment as she tapped her cheek. “Well I agree that everyone is born with value but I don't agree that everyone has value. Those claimed that are being worked on now proved that they don't have any value to us. We believed that they did have value for a while but they proved us wrong. We're just fixing them now so that they have value.”

    “You believe you have the right to make them into what you want them to be?”

    “Of course! They would be dead other wise.”

    “Saving their life shouldn't give you that type of authority over them.”

    “Ah well I'm going to have to disagree.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. He was actually a bit surprised whenever he felt a hand come and wrest upon his shoulder and once again found himself looking at Maria. “So just because you saved their lives you have the right to do with them as you want?”

    In response Maria gave a quick nod. “That's why they're called the claimed they're property and property can't be allowed to hurt its owners. Of course we have given them the right to take their own lives so I don't see what you're so upset about. If it hadn't been for us they would have been dead. We still give them the choice to die if they want to but we also give them the chance to earn their lives back. However, the escapees took the freedom we gave them and chose to use it to hurt us.”

    “I don't agree with your methods.”

    “Are you mad us?”

    “I well.” For a moment Joseph went quiet and shook his head. “No. I'm not mad at you or your sisters or brothers. Maria is there a way that I could help the claimed?”

    “Um well you can bring them some food or something to reduce the pain if you want to.”

    “What?”

    A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she looked at Joseph. “You can ease their suffering if you want to do it. You can also come up with another method of insuring those that tried to escape recently never do it again so that we relent. Naturally you can't give them anything before or during their session but you can give them something after words.”

    “Are you serious?”

    “Sure! It's your choice after all.”

    “I see. What would I have to do to maybe convince you all to relent?”

    “You could offer us something we really want or come up with something to take our attention away from the escapees punishment. If you were to find out who the mage was and offer to tell us to convince us to back off the escapees that'd work wonderfully.”

    For a moment Joseph went silent. He knew about the seed currently growing in the pot. He could always offer them that to get them to let up on the escapees or even set them free. However, that was something he wasn't willing to give up. “I guess I need to get to work on finding out who the mage is.”

***********************************************************************************

    Sumon was silent at first as he felt the liquid being poured into his eyes. The pain from the powder went away almost immediately and even the sting vanished shortly after. “What is this about?”

    As Joseph continued washing the powder from Sumon's eyes he gave a sigh. “I need you to tell me about the escape.”

    “Fuck. I don't know who the mage is. Don't you think I would have told them by now if I did?”

    “Probably. However, you might know more then you think. You can tell me while you eat.”

    “Huh?” Before Sumon could respond he felt something placed in his hand. It took him a moment of feeling around to realize that he was holding an apple. For the moment he still wasn't quite ready to open his eyes. Cautiously he lifted the apple to his mouth and took a bite.

    “I'm trying to help you and all the escapees.”

    “And here I thought you were just the whore of those bit.” Sumon didn't get to finish as he felt something slam into the side of his face. The impact wasn't extremely powerful but it was still solid and it did hurt enough to shut him up.

    It actually surprised Joseph when he struck Sumon. He didn't expect himself to lash out like that. Oddly he felt the need though the moment he realized what Sumon was saying. “Don't call them that.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Sumon despite the situation. “Sure whatever you say. So you want me to tell you about the escape attempt?”

    “Yes though if you don't want to that is fine. I'll just go talk to someone else.”

    “You must think I'm pretty damn stupid. I know what will happen if I don't tell you what you want to know.”

    “I don't intend on doing anything to you if you don't tell me.”

    “You may not but they will. I know those beast will go even harder on me if I don't cooperate with you.”

    “I'm doing this of my own choosing.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Sumon as he shook his head. “You're one of their favorite toys. It doesn't matter what you think they're listening to this conversation right now. I know that they'll double what I've had to endure already if I refuse to talk.”

    “I don't know where you're getting this.”

    “That's because you're an alchemist so they are nice to you. You came in with a useful skill. Try coming in as a soldier that only knows how to fight something they can do plenty well already. See how they treat such people. You've seen the pretty stuff.”

    “Enough! Tell me what I asked or I'm going to find someone else who will.”

    “Fine. I guess you want to know when this all started. It began a bit over fifteen months ago as far as I know. I came in a little late but was told that supplies were being stored in the tannery. I was told to smuggle in what I could and I could come along during the escape attempt. At first I wasn't going to do it but then I saw just what the operation was like. What really got me going though was when I saw the scrolls.

    Scrolls to hide our scent was just the thing we needed to make our escape I thought. However, it didn't stop there. The crystals came a little while later. I started being asked to keep an eye out for certain plants and minerals I can't say I brought in a whole lot but others did somehow.

    Naturally I wondered who was making the scrolls but I couldn't find out. A guy named Sivon was one of the main organizers of it all. He planned out where to hide the crystals, organized a few of the groups and even had the date picked for when we would escape. Then one of those beast found our supplies. We thought we were sunk but she only found some of the food stuff the crystals and scrolls were far better hidden thankfully.

    Everyone agreed that them just finding the food would most likely lead to the searches being more frequent though. Even if the searchers weren't careful the fact that they would be coming more often meant we had greater chances of failure. The escape date had to be moved up an awful lot. Now I don't know if that was such a good ideal.

    The majority of the scrolls came through a guy from the gale kingdom.”

    “Hold on.”

    “Huh? You thought of something.”

    Instead of answering right away Joseph bit down on his lower lip. Maria had told him a little bit about their hunt and she'd mentioned coming upon a soldier from the gale kingdom who had already been killed. “Would you say that soldier from the gale kingdom provided most of the scrolls and crystals?”

    “Yeah.”

    “Sumon I might be back to talk to you again later for now I need to go talk to someone else. I would wish you a good day but I'm afraid that isn't going to happen.”

***********************************************************************************

    For a moment Dan said nothing as he looked at Joseph when words finally did come there was a bit of surprise in his voice. “So you think that the soldier the girls found dead wasn't just a decoy but rather he was the one connection between the others and the actual mage. Then once the actual escape went under way they killed him so no one would be certain who the mage was.” A sigh escaped Dan. “Well it is possible in that case though we're going to have to find out who his keeper was.”

    In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Yes so how would I go about doing that?”

    “Listen Joseph it sounds like you might actually be onto something so I'm going to help you with this if you don't mind.”

    “That would be fine and appreciated.”

    “I'm going to go and get Mina I'm sure that those she's currently working on will appreciate the break in their treatment. She saw the corpse and will probably know who their keeper was. Would you like to come along?”

    “No thanks.”

***********************************************************************************

    Liana felt somewhat awkward as she walked into the alchemy shop. She actually out ranked Dan in most respects but being summoned to talk about the escape by a brother and one potential brother still felt odd. She almost felt like she'd done something bad and was about to have to defend her case. “Dan Mina said you wanted to speak to me?”

    It actually surprised Joseph when Liana entered the room. She was approximately four meters tall like all the other keepers. Her fur was a light chocolate color except for a few patches of white. What was truly surprising though was how slowly she entered the room and cautiously she looked around. Her tail was actually wrapped around her right leg.

    “Please put these on this might take a while.” As he spoke Dan brought out the jewelery all females had to wear in the shop.

    Upon Dan offering it Liana took a few steps into the room and took the jewelery. As she slipped them on she set down. “So you think that the claimed I was watching might have had more to do with the escape then the others?”

    In response Dan gave a nod. “Liana you need to relax. You know neither Joseph or I have any real ability to discipline, denounce or even force you to be here.”

    “I know that it's just. Do you two think I did something wrong?”

    A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “Liana I know you only recently obtained keeper status and were allowed to have a body this large. You don't need to worry though neither of us are here to make you look bad or do anything that might get you in trouble.”

    “Do you think I did something wrong though? I tried to do my best but I didn't plan on being this type of keeper. I should have been watching them better I know that.”

    A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “Liana be quiet.”

    It actually surprised Joseph whenever Liana responded immediately by shutting her mouth. If it hadn't been for her size he imagined she'd looked quite meek at the moment. It was clear that she was worried. “Liana you seem rather new at this.”

    Instead of letting Liana answer Dan spoke up. “Liana here is very very young for a keeper. She's actually a bit younger then Mira.”

    “That's very impressive Liana.”

    “Thank you.”

    After a moment of silence Dan spoke up. “Now Liana I want you to relax and quit acting like this is a court trial. You're not in any trouble. We need to ask you some things about the escapee that was killed by his fellows. From what we've been able to gather he was one of yours.”

    In response Liana gave a quick nod. “Yeah he was. I don't know what to tell you though. He got out of line every once in a while and I had to punish him from time to time but he mostly did as he was told.”

    Now Joseph spoke up. “Do you remember who he normally talked to or someone that he only talked to occasionally? You see Liana we believe that he might have been the one meeting with whomever provided the scrolls and singing crystals for the escape attempt.”

    “I well. I remember he had a small group he hung around with but I couldn't bring them to you. They were the ones that tried to hurt Allen.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised by that. How about people that he only spoke to on occasion or times that you think exchanges could have went down.”

    In response to this Liana gave a sigh and looked at the ground. “It would have been so easy for them to meet in the tannery. That or left things behind for one another.”

    After a moment Joseph gave a nod. “That building is quite an issue but sort of a requirement for certain goods.”

    “Yeah.”

    “Okay Liana we're going to take this slowly. You need to tell me every group of claimed that you can remember yours working with. We can move on from there.”

***********************************************************************************

    Joseph didn't think any of the people that the sisters were currently working on were the mage. He highly doubted that any of them knew who the mage was as well. If they did know they would have spoken up by now and if they were the mage they would have most likely spoken up to end their pain at this point. However, he'd learned that not every group that had worked with Liana's had tried to escape.

    This opened up a possibility but he didn't know if he wanted to bring it up. What if the mage had been part of another group that hadn't tried to escape? He wouldn't have been being tortured at the moment. Indeed he or she would be well away from such treatment. It wasn't a pleasant thought. Of course seeing what was happening the mage wasn't going to come forward on their own.

    It brought up a troublesome question. What would happen if he told the girls about his theory? Would they start torturing all the claimed in hopes of finding the one mage? It was a thought that Joseph didn't find comforting at all. However, if he was right and the mage hadn't been part of any group that tried to escape then those that had were simply out of luck if he didn't speak up.

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he stood up and made his way outside. He couldn't sleep with these thoughts running through his head. Fear of what would happen to those claimed that had done nothing to deserve to suffer kept him from talking to the girls. A desire to help those that were currently being tortured made him feel guilt for not speaking up.

    However, all of this brought up one more question that was keeping him awake. Why hadn't the mage tried to escape? He could think of several answers but he wasn't sure what one it was. There was a chance that the mage had planned to try to escape with them but been caught doing something else. Perhaps one of the keepers had kept him busy that night and he simply hadn't had the chance.

    There was also a chance that the mage had refused to go along. Perhaps they'd felt that leaving prematurely was too risky and opted to stay behind. The others had decided to take the risk and went on ahead. It could have also been a test run. Perhaps the mage just wanted to see if they could escape to plan for a future action.

    Then there was the man that had been found killed from Liana's group. He was the most likely connection between the mage and the wrest of the escapees. He couldn't tell them anything though now that he was dead. If he was the connection between the mage and the others though why had he been killed? Perhaps those that killed him did so just because he was a gale soldier and they wanted a decoy. It was possible.

    “Damn it! I should have asked if any of those escapees near the corpse had anything special on them or any extra supplies.” Thoughts that the gale soldier may have been killed for additional supplies was something that Joseph hadn't considered. Now that the thought manifest himself he wanted to kick himself.

    “Who would you ask that?”

    Joseph actually gave a slight jump upon hearing the voice. Almost frantically he turned around to try and locate the source of it. “Who's there?”

    “No need to be so jumpy! My name is Kiara.” As she spoke Kiara finally let Joseph see her coming out from amongst the branches.

    Immediately Joseph recognized Kiara as a guardian and gave a slight sigh. “You scared me.”

    “Sorry I was out getting some things and heard some commotion coming from this location. I decided to come over and check on you.”

    In response to this Joseph gave his head a slight nod. “Was I really making that much noise?”

    In response Kiara reached up and rubbed the outside of her ear. “Well you were moving around an awful lot. Given the time of night I didn't know what was going on and considering what happened recently I thought it best to be safe rather then risk being sorry.”

    To this Joseph gave a nod. As he calmed down he couldn't help but notice Kiara was holding some form of cylinder. “You said you were out to get something. Would you mind telling me what?”

    “Ah just some water.” As she spoke Kiara bent down and opened the cylinder she was packing revealing that it was full of what appeared to be sand. “Actually I was going to stop by your workshop once I retrieved some.”

    Immediately Joseph realized what Kiara was doing. The sand inside the cylinder was a special alchemical powder that could absorb massive amounts of water. Once the water was absorbed all one had to do was add a second reagent to cause it to be released. Of course if one released all the water at once they could easily flood a building or even some streets. “You can really carry that when it's full?”

    A slight giggle escaped Kiara as she gave a nod. “Of course I can! Would you like to go for a walk with me? You seem tense.”

    There was a moment when Joseph was silent as he realized something. While Kiara had surprised him initially that wasn't why he was talking to her. In truth he'd been hoping for someone to talk to. “I. Well.” For a moment Joseph went silent then gave his head a nod. “Yeah that would be nice. I haven't been able to get to sleep.”

    In response Kiara took a few more steps forward to stand beside Joseph. “Okay then let's walk. I'll keep the pace slow so you can keep up.”

    “Kiara I probably should have asked someone else this but have you been the one feeling up the water tanks at my workshop?”

    In response Kiara gave a quick nod. “Yep that's me. I sort of make sure all the alchemy shops have the basic things they need to keep operating.”

    “So you know that I've spent several nights in my workshop right?”

    “Yeah you're not the only one though. You really should have asked for help though. Some of the others would have been happy to stand in for you and make sure whatever you were working on didn't mess up.”

    “Yeah but that would have forced me to give away more information then I would have liked to.”

    “Ah that can be an issue. You know Joseph if you're having trouble sleeping the market is never closed. There quite a few fun events that go on there.”

    “You know I hear music some nights.”

    “Well if you lived closer you'd hear music every night. It's just some times we play it louder then usual.”

    “Ah. So exactly what happens at night there?”

    “Hm oh lots of stuff. I like to go dancing there myself.”

    “I see. So who's the one playing the drums so loud?”

    “Ah well different people. Mina is really good at them though.”

    “Huh?”

    A slight giggle escaped Kiara as she noticed the expression on Joseph's face. “Mina is quite good at playing the drums. Every now and then she and Dan will show up and she'll decide to put on a show for everyone. The only problem is whenever she slips up and accidentally breaks something. Our instruments are durable as you might imagine but she can go really over do it.”

    “Does Maria know how to play any instruments?”

    “Yeah she does or at least she did. She hasn't played in a really long time. Not since her speed increase.”

    “So you knew Maria back then?”

    “Ah well I didn't really know her I knew of her. I was quite young at the time you see.”

    “I see. I imagine increasing your speed so much so quickly would throw off anyones game. What did she play?”

    “A variety of things actually mostly percussion instruments though.”

    “I'll have to ask her about that la.” As he spoke Joseph felt his foot catch on a root and found himself stumbling forward. Before he could regain his balance though or fall he felt something take hold of him.

    “Careful.”

    “You all seem to have very quick reflexes.” A sigh escaped Joseph as Kiara helped him stand up strait.

    “We kind of have to otherwise we'd always been slamming into things while running.”

    “That's true. Kiara I hope you don't mind me asking this but I was under the assumption you all couldn't be around alchemical items. At least that was my assumption for a while. Then I realized that Mina had been around the singing crystals and Maria had no trouble holding the jelly I made.”

    “We can be around alchemical items so long as they're stable. It's while they're unstable that we can't be around or we might ruin them.”

    “I see. So that powder you're packing. There is no danger of something going wrong with it?”

    “Nope. On that subject give me a second.” As she spoke Kiara quickened her pace and moved ahead of Joseph moving over to the river they'd been traveling towards.

    “So Kiara how did you end up on a night job like this?”

    “OH we do pretty well during the day or night. I just feel more comfortable at night though I guess it's the predator in me.” As she was speaking Kiara held the container in the flow of the river. She noted the container growing heavier and heavier as the water seemed to disappear into the powder. Its mass didn't vanish though.

    “Kiara just how strong are you compared to a human? I have trouble just lifting a cup of that if I fill it.”

    “Ah it kind of varies from sister to sister.”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “I guess that isn't surprising. Still, I thought Maria was a child and I saw her tear through armor with ease. I'm going to guess that given an equal amount of volume of muscle you'd be roughly thirty times stronger then a well conditioned soldier.”

    Before speaking Kiara gave a slight grunt and hefted the container from the river. She then slipped its cap back on and began to walk back towards Joseph. As she walked she could feel her feet sinking into the ground due to the additional weight she was packing. Until she got out of the muddy earth around the river her feet were sinking in up to her ankles. “That seems like a fair guess.”

    “So you're not going to confirm it?”

    In response Kiara gave a shrug. “Can you tell me how much stronger you are then a kitten?”

    “Um well. No.”

    A slight giggle escaped Kiara as she gave Joseph a slight push on his back. “We don't bother comparing ourselves to humans like that it just seems kind of pointless. Like you comparing yourself to kittens.”

    “I see.”

    “Come on I'll walk you back to your workshop and you can help me fill up your tank. Then I'll see you home unless you want to come to the market.”

    Before he could respond Joseph felt a rush of movement and something moved past him. It actually sent a chill up his spine and left him staring at Kiara. “What was that?”

    “Nothing much just a pest. Don't worry about it.”

    In response Joseph gave a nod and began to walk. As he moved though he noticed Kiara flicking her index finger as if trying to get something off of it. “Kiara do any of your sisters have pets?”

    “Yep! Some of us do at least.”

    “I've never seen any of you with a pet so I was just curious. What do you tend to keep as pets?”

    “Birds mostly as well as some small cats but that's a relatively recently happening.”

    “Cats and birds?”

    “Yeah, we're not allowed to keep anything that could pose a serious threat to one of our brothers or someone that's young. So we're kind of restricted to pets that aren't dangerous. Some of my sisters have taken to keeping the small cats that you humans have around your homes and barns at times.”

    “So do you have any pets Kiara?”

    “I had a bird when I was young. I got bored of it one day and ate it though.”

    “Um.” For a moment Joseph went silent as he tried to figure out how to respond to such a statement. It was only when an ideal first began to form in his head that he noticed Kiara was laughing slightly. “You just lied to me.”

    “Well I did have a pet bird but I didn't eat it.”

    “What happened?”

    “It got old and died.”

    “Ah I see. So how did you come across a pet bird?”

    “I was out hunting and found the little thing with its wing broken. I thought about just killing it and eating it at first but after a few moments I decided the bird was pretty. Of course I also decided that it smelt good but I figured I could take care of it and fatten it up. If the bird still smelt tastier then it was amusing to have around I could just eat it then. I grew fond of the bird and decided to keep it as my pet.”

    “So how often do sisters eat each others pets?”

    “Oh not often that'd be a good way to get quite a nasty scratch. Really that would just be an act of meanness. We do play some games with the birds though.”

    “Such as?”

    “Well for example at times will tie a little letter or attach a small key to one of their legs. The bird is then let loose in the forest and we have to track it down after a few hours. Whoever captures the bird first and returns it alive to its owner gets a reward. However, there is a catch. If the owner has taught the bird well enough and it returns to them of its own choosing they automatically win.”

    “Ah I see. So have you ever competed against Maria on such games?”

    “Flora's Maria? I assume that's who you're talking about as I can smell her on you.”

    “Yeah that is the one.”

    “Someone like Maria would have to wait additional time before she could join in on the game. Well at least those games that involve tracking over long distances.”

    “I see. That's kind of unfair isn't it though? If the bird doesn't fly very far away you'll all find it before those forced to set out even have a chance. While if the bird does fly a decent distance away you've got a head start that they have to cover meaning things are still fairly balanced.”

    In response Kiara gave a nod. “I know that it seems kind of unfair. However, if someone like Maria started at the same time we all did no one else would ever win. It's really hard to play a game knowing that you're going to lose.”

    “I can see your point though I still think it's unfair. Why don't you just do something to handicap those with such natural gifts so they can start at the same time?”

    “What do you have in mind?”

    “Hm well you're worried about Maria's speed. How about you have her carry extra weight? Though not enough to reduce her speed down to your levels as that would hinder mobility too much. It could be enough that her ability to move through the trees is limited though and it does slow her down.”

    “Well that is a possibility.” For a moment Kiara grew silent and looked up into the trees. “I'll tell the others you mentioned that next time and maybe more of us can compete. Oh! I just remembered something.”

    “What is that?”

    “Well you're still welcome to come to the market with me today but don't expect much of a party.”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “I was going to mention that. Aren't most of you out searching for the escapees?”

    “Yeah, after a long day of hunting some will come back to listen to some music, dance play games and the such however most will probably go home and go to sleep.”

    “On the subject of sleep. How much does your species need?”

    “In all honesty we like as much sleep as most humans for the most part. It depends on how much we've eaten though. If we're eating we can actually do without sleep though that isn't really an option normally except during times of war.”

    “I imagine that's an advantage during war.”

    “Yep, kill the enemy, eat what's left to recharge your batteries and move on.”

    For a moment Joseph gave a slight shudder. “I really don't like to think about any of you eating another human being.”

    “I don't like to think of good food going to waste.”

    “Come now humans can't taste that good.”

    “Taste is a matter of perspective.” A slight giggle escaped Kiara as she flashed Joseph some of her teeth. “I think humans taste just fine though I do prefer venison.”

    “Kiara have you ever eaten a human?”

    A slight giggle escaped Kiara as she stuck her tongue out at Joseph. “Blast you.”

    “I take that as a no.”

    “No. I have never eaten a human the chance has never arose.”

    Joseph actually found himself grinning as he had caught Kiara in the middle of her big bad beast act. “Has the chance never really arose or have you never found a reason to.”

    A slight chuckle escaped Kiara as she shook her head. “Most people I meet I'm able to make uncomfortable for at least a few days. Some of them avoid me to this day though.”

    “I've spoken to Maria a lot and have found it's best to ask you people as many questions as I can before I make any decisions. So Kiara, just why are you the one going around and refilling the water reserves of the work shops?”

    “Someone has to do it and it isn't hard. Plus it gives me a chance to look around.”

    “Kiara I assume that you've come by my workshop while I was there working.”

    In response Kiara gave a quick nod. “Indeed I have fairly frequently actually. I guess this is the point where you want to start asking me awkward questions about what I might have heard while I was taking care of things or why I never let you know I was there. I'll go ahead and tell you I haven't been spying on you though I do know about some of your past from my sisters.”

    “I see. What about not revealing you were there?”

    “Well why didn't you ever bother asking why you never had to refill your own water supply?”

    “Ah well. That is actually a very good question. I suppose I realized that someone was keeping the tank full.”

    In response Kiara gave a nod. “So I try not to bother people while they're working. Do you even know where your water tank is?”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “Yeah. I inspected the workshop a short while after I began working there.”

    “Well then give me a second and I'll refill it. So do you want me to walk you home or would you like to come with me to the market? It'll be kind of dead tonight like I said earlier but there should be some people there unwinding.” As she spoke Kiara made her way over to Joseph's workshop and began to make her way around the building and too the tank. She wouldn't need to empty the entire supply of water she had with her into it. She actually had enough to fill up most if not all the workshops on her rout.

    “I believe I'll go there some other time though I can find my own way home.”

    “Ah at night? I don't think so. I led you this far out so I'm going to take you back home.”

    “Don't worry about it. I've walked this path at night before.”

    As she was speaking Kiara finished refilling the tank of Joseph's shop and made her way back around to him resealing the container as she moved. “No. I'm going to escort you back it's dark and despite what you may think it's easy for you humans to get turned around in the forest. I don't want to have to go out and search for you later because you got lost at night whenever I could have taken you back to your home.”

    “Kiara you don't.” Joseph didn't get to finish as Kiara spoke up.

    “This isn't negotiable.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “Okay then if that is your stance I guess I can't do much about it. Kiara would you mind if I asked you a few questions though? They're about your political set up.”

    “Sure though you'll probably find our politics are simple compared to what you humans put yourselves through.”

    In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Well I guess I'd like to start at the top. Just who is your leader?”

    “Ah well we don't really have a leader. We have several leaders though they're broken up into groups. As you might have noticed those sisters ranked seven or higher are the major leaders of the community. That's one of the reasons they are called keepers they maintain far more then just the claimed. The highest ranked members of our society are the nines and they're broken up into those sisters ranked as nines and those brothers.”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “I see. So do they govern over different things?”

    “Some things they govern over jointly others they govern over separately. One example I can give you is the claimed. The sisters are in charge of what happens to the claimed and those that join our society ranks claimed to four. Though, the brothers can encourage the sisters to promote you they can't actually force us to make you into a four.”

    “What about four to five?”

    “That's actually the brothers call. No matter how much we may approve of you the sisters can't elevate you to a five. It's something of a safety measure. In case the brothers feel we're promoting you too quickly they can put a lid on things before it gets out of hand.”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “I see. From what I've heard spoken of the brothers also control food storage and alchemical supplies. At least the food and supplies that belong to the community.”

    “They more control the alchemical and magical supplies then they do the food but yes they keep track of what's being brought in. We on the other hand tend to see to defense and decide what steps are required.”

    “I see. So if the brothers felt that a town was getting too close to the forest they couldn't force any of you to attack it?”

    A slight chuckle escaped Kiara. “Ah well in theory that's true but I think you got the situation reversed. If we felt something was getting too close to our forest our brothers couldn't really stop us from destroying it. I think I'm making things out to be more rigid then they are though.”

    “What do you mean?”

    “It's really rare whenever a brother or sister pulls rank on one another or area of influence. It's seen as a poor practice and typically the brothers and sisters try to talk things out rather then say. It's my call and I don't care what you think.”

    In response Joseph gave a nod. “Who's in charge of zoning and construction?”

    “Huh?”

    “I mean deciding what buildings will be built and which ones maintained.”

    “Oh! Mm well that's really something that's taken care of jointly. The brothers can request a building be built while the sisters tend to ask for space. We decide whenever the buildings are becoming too dense and what is too close to the market area or other sections. As for up keep.” For a moment Kiara grew silent.

    “Is something wrong Kiara?”

    A slight giggle escaped Kiara as she gave a shrug. “You know I don't know who exactly handles that decision. I know we take care of any building that is well used or has valuables in it.”

    “Are you serious? My work shop was in great condition though. Surely you had to be making a conscious effort to take care of it.”

    “Well we do but it's not like anyone has to tell us to do that.”

    “So no one tells you were to deliver water to?”

    A slight giggle escaped Kiara as she shook her head. “Some people have asked me to bring extra water to their shop if they were using it a lot. They're also some buildings that I don't tend to but no. There isn't anyone that tells me where to go.”

    “Isn't that rather lacking in organization?”

    “Ah well. I guess. That this entire forest is the home of me, my sisters and my brothers. We try to take care of our home.”

    “What are you told to do then Kiara?”

    “Oh I've been told to go kill this tribe or that tribe before. I'm not joking this time. I've also been sent to check on some activity near our border and make sure no one was trying to take from the forest. I've been sent out gathering a few times as well. They're some plants that only really show themselves at night.”

    “I. This is all very strange.”

    “I suppose it seems rather lacking in organization but.” For a moment Kiara grew silent and shook her head. “Well come on it isn't like any of this stuff is hard for us to do. I mean we could just decide to just sleep and eat without ever trying to do something or improve our lot in life but how much would that achieve?”

    “Well that is a good point.” Even as he spoke Joseph also realized another factor when it came to the beast girls. He doubted their minds were entirely human. From what he'd learned of it he was certain their culture was very different from his own. “Kiara is there anything you do that you wouldn't deem natural for your kind? Something you'd even call hard.”

    “Allow humans we don't like or respect to live.”

    “Huh?”

    “I doubt anyone told you this but it's actually hard for us to keep some of the claimed around and not just kill them.”

    “Could you explain why you do it then and what humans?”

    “It's hard to keep people around that would kill us if they had a moments chance. Our instinct tells us that we should remove the threat immediately one way or the other. However, we also need them for their services as they are some tasks we just aren't suited to doing thanks to our noses, in some cases our ears and a few other things I can't name.”

    “Why don't you have the humans that are part of the community and brothers do them then?”

    “They have more important tasks to attend to of course. What do you think we'd really have you be doing? Making alchemical supplies for the community or helping to toughen and preserve animal skin? There's a pretty big difference in the value of the service.”

    “That's true.”

    “Keeper is both a desired and a disliked tasks. It's desired due to the larger size, more powerful body and diminished hunger but you also have to restrain yourself. You have to tolerate the glares of the claimed and pretend you can't here whenever they whisper behind your back. You have to stop and think rationally if they've done something to deserve death or if you're just being emotional.”

    “I thought all the keepers I've met enjoyed the job.”

    “They do! Well depending on how you look at it. They enjoy their bodies and they enjoy providing a service to the community and knowing they're helping everyone. Don't you feel a bit of excitement whenever you do something knowing that you've helped a great deal of people?”

    “Well there is a feeling of accomplishment.”

    “That's what most keepers enjoy about their position of course not all keepers keep claimed.”

    “Ah yes I've heard as much about that. So are they any keepers that have it rougher then those that keep claimed?”

    “Ah well that's all a matter of opinion to be honest with you. Some keepers would love to work in the library and others tend to dislike the position. Naturally we try to swap out keepers so that all of them end up in a position they're happy with. It can't always be done though.”

    “What about you guardians?”

    “Our positions are less rigid and give more free time. As for if there is something I don't like.” For a moment Kiara grew silent and tapped her cheek. “They're a few things but I hate to list then as they're really minor and not worth giving voice to. I guess what I hate most is when I have to work with stone.”

    “Why do you work with stone?”

    “Well as you noticed I help to maintain the buildings delivering water is just one thing I do. I also help with repairs. As for why I hate stone. I just hate how it feels against my claws something about it.” For a moment Kiara went silent and was made to shiver. “Just drives me up the wall. Wood I like though. I like how my claws feel whenever I slowly run them through a bit of wood and it's nice to work with.”

    “Well Kiara I hope to speak to you again some other time. However, I think it's time for us to part ways.”

    In response Kiara gave a nod as she noted Joseph's home. “It was nice having some company.”

***********************************************************************************

    It was hard for Maria to contain herself even as she let out a roar to her sisters. While the roar wouldn't reach throughout the entire forest it would reach some of her sisters and they would follow suit to the others. The message let lose was simple. She believed that she'd found something and was now in pursuit. She just wished that she could tell them she smelt human blood.

    This was why they had stayed together. As Nivon looked at the kobolds that surrounded them he felt his back press against his fellow escapees. The creatures had been out roaming the forest when they'd stumbled upon one another. The kobolds had wasted no time in attacking the humans. It was typical behavior for a species that didn't like other sentient beings competing for food resources or anything else for that matter. Especially one as naturally inclined to violence as a kobold.

    Linerd took a moment to glance over at one of his fellow escapees. The kobolds had managed to catch him with an arrow but it wasn't fatal yet. It had sliced into his arm making it fairly difficult for the man to use apparently but he was still standing. As Linerd looked at the kobolds though he longed for his true armor and weapons.

    The kobolds knew that they had the numeric advantage that was clear. Nivon felt confident he and the others could get through the situation though. He'd already managed to kill two of the creatures that had made the mistake of getting too close to him. Now he held one of their clubs in one hand and his rough short sword in the other. Some movement to his side caught his attention and he quickly turned actually managing to strike the attacker with the club before it even got close to him.

    It seemed the others had been waiting for one of their own to charge. Even as Nivon downed one the others rushed forward screeching horribly. Fortunately for the individuals they were standing with former soldiers. Instead of breaking ranks each man moved to cover the other as they struggled to keep from being crushed by the kobolds numbers.

    It was rather upsetting for the war leader as he saw his kobolds being beaten back. At first happening upon the humans had seemed a good thing. He'd hoped to retrieve some items of use from them and some food thinking they were easy targets. Given their clothing he wasn't expecting them to fight like this. By kobold standards war leaders were considered smart however he hadn't even considered that he might be fighting trained soldiers.

    Angered screeches reached Maria's ears as she dashed through the forest. She felt confident that there plan had worked. The escapees had been driven too close to kobold territory and now were being forced to fight for their lives. Unfortunately she had no ideal how long the fight had been going on. She hoped that most of the escapees weren't dead. They needed to question them after all.

    Nivon had no fondness for kobolds but rather held a deep dislike of them. A dislike that would have easily been hatred if he didn't consider creatures so far beneath such feelings. He did however know enough of their species to realize that such a group had to have a leader. If they could kill this leader he felt confident the others would flee.

    Linerd found it hard to fight as he more bashed the kobolds that neared him to death then cut them. His crude weapon was a frustration but it was better then nothing. “Nivon we're holding on but they're a lot of these basters we need to do something.”

    “I know, look for their leader. It should be the largest out of the bunch or the best dressed. If we can kill that then the others should run off.”

    Stella had actually been caught by surprise whenever she'd heard Maria's roar. Now she found herself sprinting along trying to locate her smaller sister. She might not have officially been part of the search team anymore but she could still respond to one of her sister's calls. As she drew closer though she could hear the sounds of battle.

    She knew about her sisters plans to force the escapees into a confrontation with some other denizens of the forest. She also realized that Maria might have found something pertaining to this. So there was an element of risk in her going. If she lost her temper and tore these escapees up she knew that she'd be in trouble considering that she was already being disciplined. This time she would have to control her temper and keep herself from pulling anyone apart.

    It had been easy for Maria to catch up with the escapees once she'd heard the sound. As she came upon the battle though she kept herself hidden. Her first instinct had been to rush into the battle and help the escapees to survive. Now that she was there she realized that there was another choice.

    If she rushed in and dealt with the kobolds there would be no reason for the mage to reveal himself. If she stayed out though she could observe from a distance and if the battle went poorly Maria felt confident the mage would reveal himself. The only problem was if the kobolds managed to kill the mage or began to get the upper hand. There was also the chance that the mage might let himself be captured if the kobolds attempted to do so in order to better his cover.

    There was a rush of adrenalin as Nivon's eyes fell upon the kobold war leader. Immediately he wanted to rush forward and strike down the creature but he knew that would be suicide. They were holding out quite well but breaking ranks would be a bad move. “Everyone form up into a v behind me. Be careful to watch one another we're going to push towards the group to the left.”

    “What's over there?”

    “Just trust me on this. Linerd you're on my right, Garret you're on my left. I'll be the tip.”

    In response Linerd gave a nod. “Alright.” As he spoke Linerd was already moving into position preparing himself for the push.

    Nivon might not have been the group leader by any official proclamation but the others still seemed ready to follow. As the ranks began to form up he took in a deep breath. “Move!” With that Nivon quickly began to rush forward noting Linerd and Garret on either side of him.

    In response to the sudden rush the kobold war leader was made to recoil slightly. It immediately realized what was going on and gave a harsh shout. It had of course kept the best armed and most experienced kobolds with itself. Instead of trying to run though the creature began to push towards Nivon. Unlike Nivon though the kobold chose to stay at the back of his bodyguard. 

    As Maria watched the events unfolding she could see another problem in her plan. If the humans gained the upper hand the kobolds would run. At least that would leave them tired though and more likely to comply with her requests. At least she would have some help though as she listened to one of her sisters approaching. It actually surprised her how close this one was though she didn't know who it was yet as the wind wasn't bringing the scent to her.

    It only took a few seconds though it seemed longer for Nivon to near the first kobold. The creature swung its mace in a wide arc which Nivon easily blocked using the club he'd picked up earlier to strike the kobold close to its hand. He then quickly thrust forward actually managing to sink his rough short sword into the creature. As he dispatched the first kobold though one moved to his side. He didn't have to worry about it as the creature received a quick strike from Linerd.

    For a moment Maria was made to sigh. She could already see how this fight was going. While both sides had a leader and they were both following orders a few things were clear. The humans were better organized and apparently just as well equipped if out numbered. More importantly though the humans were watching out for one another while the kobolds only seemed interested in watching out for themselves and killing the humans. So while when one kobold tried to strike down a human another human would counter the kobold didn't do the same thing for one another.

    Stella could hear the fight by now and smell the blood as well as the scent of her sister. She was actually surprised whenever she recognized the sent as Maria's. Apparently her young sister had made good use of her speed and beat everyone else to the final find. One thing struck her as odd though. There was clearly a fight going on.

    There was actually a feeling of concern as Stella rushed towards Maria. It didn't seem likely that a few kobolds and humans could pose a threat to her sister. Especially one with a mutation as powerful as Maria's speed. However, she didn't like the ideal of arriving to find one of her sisters dead. With those thoughts in mind Stella didn't even try to use stealth but found herself running as fast as she could.

    As the group neared him the war leader stood his ground. He knew all too well that if he ran or showed weakness the other kobolds would as well. Worse yet if he ran they may turn on him and cast him out of his position. It was an unwillingness to give up its position of authority and the fear of those it led that kept the kobold standing and even pushed it forward. The creature let lose one more cry to charge and this time moved into the battle though flanked by its kobold brethren still.

    With the war leader moving on them Nivon knew that things were going to get interesting. Especially as he noted the creature had drawn a metallic sword. The blade was rather unkempt he could tell that just by looking at it but it was still a superior weapon then what he had. To complicate the situation the kobold was the largest and most likely strongest of the group.

    Instead of coming within striking distance of the human the war leader stopped a few centimeters short and thrust with his long sword. It was made to grin even as Nivon used his short sword to parry the steal long sword. It knew that Nivon couldn't reach him with a short sword and wasn't going to get close enough to get harmed.

    Nivon had hoped that the kobold would come in closer so that he would be able to not just parry but attack. As he deflected the blow though he pushed forward trying to strike at the kobold. The creature wasn't as stupid as Nivon had hoped though and it quickly stepped backwards. While he pushed towards the kobold though he didn't even notice as another figure came onto the seen.

    As Stella made her way into the clearing her gaze immediately turned towards Maria. She'd smelt her sister while she was coming and knew exactly where she was. There was a great wave of relieve upon finding Maria setting in a tree entirely unharmed. However, she didn't know quite what to think whenever she noted the battle going on before her and how Maria wasn't doing anything.

    Maria immediately felt like her plan had been entirely ruined though she didn't blame Stella. It wasn't going well to begin with. In response to Stella's entrance though she called out to her being careful to keep her tone low enough that only one with ears as good as theirs could hear her. “Hi Stella I guess you heard my call.”

    Instead of immediately going to join Maria, Stella held her ground and watched. “Yes, would you mind explaining what's going on?”

    “I was hoping the mage was with them and would reveal himself. However, the kobolds aren't doing a very good job of testing these humans. I thought maybe the kobolds would gain the upper hand and the mage would be forced to reveal his hand to survive.”

    Even with their attention focused on one another neither the kobold war leader or Nivon could keep from noticing Stella after such a length of time. Both sides took several steps back from one another as their gaze turned towards her. Nivon of course had plenty of reason to be worried but so did the kobold. He'd been a survivor of some encounters with the beast women and knew how dangerous they were.

    Despite the situation Nivon couldn't forget the kobold before him. As he looked at the war leader he realized something. The creature was getting ready to call a retreat. Instantly Nivon felt a surge of energy and stepped forward swinging the club he'd picked up from the previous kobold in a full force arc. He felt the club connect solidly with the war leader's head.

    Nivon's actions had caught the war leader off guard. Indeed the creature had been turning to begin fleeing whenever the club had connected. There was no thought on this though as the powerful impact shattered its skull and sent the kobold crumbling to the ground. Moments later a screech went out from the kobolds around them which began to quickly flee.

    “Oh no you don't!” Stella realized what was going on almost immediately. Nivon had taken advantage of the war leader lowering his guard and struck him down. This had thrown the other kobolds into a panic who had only been kept coherent by their leader's presence. As the creatures began to running slashing at anything within range as they moved the escapees began to move clearly wanting to use the distraction to flee.

    Maria felt a great surge of concern as Stella began to move. She fully expected to see nothing but blood and body parts on the ground in seconds. However, as the sound of Stella striking the first human reached her ears and she saw the human fall she realized something. Stella was holding back to avoid killing them though Maria had no doubt the little tap from Stella had downed the human for quite some time.

    All Linerd could do was gasp in pain as he lay on the ground. He wasn't even sure where the attack had come from. One moment he had began to lift his leg to run the next he was on the ground. The ground seemed to have reached him even before the pain did.

    It had been hard for Stella to retract her claws and slow her movements before she hit the escapee. However, this wasn't the time to let her temper get the better of her. Having to spend so much time away from her child and thoughts of extending that time didn't set well with her. “Listen to me very carefully. I have no intention of killing you twelve however if you resist I will most assuredly injure you.”

    In response to Stella's comment Nivon gave a chuckle. “You won't be taking me back alive.” With those words Niven quickly turned and began to run.

    Before the human could take more then two steps Stella quickly moved in front of him. She then gave his stomach an exceptionally gentle touch forcing the air from his lunges and sending him to his knees. “You're quite an arrogant one aren't you? Do you realize how easily I could take away your mobility? I could break your arms and legs to the point that you could do nothing but lay there then carry you back.”

    As Nivon clutched his stomach he tried to take breath. The pain in his stomach wasn't going away nor was his anger though as he realized the truth of what he was told.

    A sigh escaped Maria as she made her presence known and hopped down from her tree. “They're too many of you for us to carry however more of our sisters are on the way now. I called for them while you were having your little fight with the kobolds. None of are you are going to escape. You can all help your case though by telling us something. We've found every escapee now that we've found you. One bit of knowledge escapes us though and that's who amongst you was the mage. If you can provide that information you can insure yourself a much easier time.”

    Instead of responding Nivon once again pushed off the ground. He was still in a great deal of pain as he began to sprint once again. He wasn't surprised whenever he felt another powerful impact and he fell to the ground. Even as he groaned in pain though he reaches forward and began to crawl along.

    Despite what she had said Stella was actually surprised as she watched Nivon crawling along. Part of her still wanted to pull the humans' arms and legs off then leave him to bleed to death but at least he was trying. “Do you realize how pathetic you look crawling along like a worm.”

    “I won't kill myself but, I'm not going to obey you anymore either.”

    In response to this comment Stella reached down and took hold of Nivon. She easily lifted him from the ground despite his weak efforts and began to carrying him under one arm. “Like I said you're not going to escape.” Stella was made to chuckle slightly as she felt Nivon's hands press against her massive arms and begin to push. He was actually trying to force her to let go of him.

***********************************************************************************

    “Mommy!”

    It was impossible for Stella not to smile as she picked her little boy off the ground. While Allen always felt light in Stella's hands he didn't seem to way anything now as she lifted him from the ground turned him around and planted a kiss on his cheek. “It's good to see you to.”

    “What are you doing back so soon?”

    “Well while I was out I heard Maria calling out and went to check out what was going on. We managed to capture the wrest of the escapes. Isn't that wonderful sweet heart?”

    In response Allen gave a quick nod. “Yeah! Does that mean you'll be able to spend time with me like you use to.”

    For a moment Stella said nothing as she bit down on her lower lip. “I don't know. I'm hoping that they'll be able to ease up on me so I can spend more time with you. However, I may still have to spend a lot of time away.”

    “Oh.”

    “Ah, but you've been having fun with Pera haven't you?” As she spoke Stella took a moment to look over at Pera who was still in a seated position. Apparently she'd interrupted a game between her and Allen.

    “Yeah Pera is lots of fun to be around. I miss you though.”

    “I miss spending time with you as well but. You know this is part of growing up? Eventually you're going to have to spend even more time away from me.”

    “I. I know.”

    “So be strong hearted for me and try to have fun even if we can't see one another as much. Okay?”

    In response Allen gave a nod. His mother had given him a similar talk earlier despite that he was glad to have her back for the moment. “So how many were captured this time?”

    “All twelve of the remaining.”

***********************************************************************************

    Joseph had been quite surprised when he found himself being shaken awake. Having spent so much of the previous night considering his options he'd ended up setting up later then planned and taking longer to awaken. Now he found himself looking up at Maria's smiling face.

    “Good morning sleepy head.”

    “Maria? Not that I'm unhappy to see you but what are you doing here?”

    “Oh I just thought I would bring you this.” As she spoke Maria placed a small bowl atop Joseph's chest. “That and I wanted to give you some news.”

    Before questioning what was going on Joseph set up and removed the cover of the bowl. What he found inside was a rather thick soup. Apparently for breakfast. “Thanks what is it exactly?”

    “It's good. Try it.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph. He'd seen Maria eat raw meat so he wondered about what she considered good at times. Instead of arguing though he took a spoonful and tried it. “Hm it is pretty good.”

    “I told you. Now you might like to know that all the escapees have been recaptured.”

    “All of them?”

    “Well all the ones that weren't killed.”

    “That's remarkable! Who found the last ones?”

    “You're looking at her. My though you sound happy I thought you might be upset.”

    “That's wonderful Maria why would I be upset though?”

    “You seemed so concerned with those we already captured.”

    A sigh escaped Joseph as he nodded his head. “Maria I still am concerned. This means I can be certain as to whether or not the mage was amongst the escapees or not though.”

    “Huh? What do you mean if the mage was amongst them?”

    Immediately Joseph felt his pulse quicken as he realized he'd made a slip up. At least it was Maria though. “Maria I want you to promise me that you won't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you.”

    “Joseph. It depends on what it is. They're certain things that I can't keep from my sisters.”

    “Maria please. I don't want any of this to get out. So I'm asking. Please tell me you won't tell anyone about this.”

    At first Maria said nothing as she bit down on her lower lip. She liked Joseph and trusted him. He'd been honest with her and her sisters even telling them about something like the life bloom knowing what they might do for that knowledge. He'd worked to help capture the escapees as well. “Okay Joseph. I promise I won't tell any of my sisters or brothers about whatever this is. I'm only making this promise though because I care about you and trust you.”

    “Thank you Maria. Listen Maria, I've been thinking about this for a while. At first we all assumed that it was an alchemical potion that was hiding their scent or a mage. Alchemy was ruled out so it had to be a mage. We then assumed that the mage had ran with the escapees and would be found with them. However, all we found was some scrolls which shouldn't have been too surprising considering the singing crystals they had made. These scrolls contained the spell on them and had been distributed by a soldier from the gale kingdom. At least that's what I've been able to uncover.”

    “Okay. Go on.”

    “Well what was the first escapee you found?”

    For a moment Maria was silent then a look of surprise appeared on her face. “Oh! It was the corpse of a gale soldier.”

    “Exactly. I believe that he was the soldier that handed out the scrolls but I don't believe he was the mage. Rather I believe he was the only one that would have been in contact with the mage.”

    “I see. So they didn't kill him just as a decoy. You believe the mage set it up so that he would be killed to insure no one knew who had mage the scrolls.”

    “Indeed I do. Of course I've also come to believe that the mage isn't with them.”

    “Why would the mage go through all the trouble of helping them set this up if he didn't go with them?”

    “I'm not sure but I can think of a few scenarios. One is the mage did go with them but was killed before you could find them or maybe killed by Stella. However, that doesn't seem very likely to me. It's also possible that Mina's finding their supplies caused some to go while others stayed including the mage. Maybe they weren't willing to take the gamble if they weren't fully prepared.”

    “I see but I also sense another possibility.”

    In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Actually I do. Maybe the mage had something to gain by staying behind. Is there a chance that any of the claimed who didn't try to escape will be promoted to rank one?”

    “Not a chance. Staying where you're suppose to isn't exactly something you get promoted for.”

    “Alright, still maybe they had something to gain. Can you think of anything that might have benefited one of the claimed?”

    “I well. Hm.”

    As Maria went silent Joseph was actually surprised whenever he saw her eyes beginning to widen. Her pupils dilated to allow in more light and he saw her lips curling upward slightly to reveal her teeth. As his gaze turned from her face to her hand he also noted something. Her claws were beginning to extend. “Um Maria is something wrong?”

    “There is one claimed that will benefit from all of this.”

    “What one?”

    “The one Markus picks to give their freedom to.”

    It was hard for Joseph to contain himself as he listened to this. Suddenly he realized why Maria was getting upset. “The mage sets it up so that several of the claimed tried to escape at once after making a deal with Markus. He works to insure that none of you will be able to track them forcing you to rely on a human hunter. Now what hunter do you have easily at hand?”

    “That's what I was thinking to. I.” As Maria opened her mouth it was impossible for her to fully compose herself and she gave a slight growl. “We can't prove this though.”

    “I know it's just a possible scenario. It sure would make sense and it would explain why the mage hasn't been found amongst the claimed.”

    A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Well Joseph you made me promise that I wouldn't tell anyone this and I'll keep my word.”

    “Hold on Maria. I have to ask you this. If I were to tell Flora, Mina and the other keepers about this do you believe they would stop breaking the escapees that were captured?”

Chapter 7 by happiest_in_shadows
“Well Joseph it's not like you have any solid proof of this.”

“You seemed to agree with me just a short while ago though. I saw how your eyes changed and you were even fighting to keep your claws retracted.”

“I know and I do agree with you. Your hypothesis sounds so solid that it makes me angry and I'm inclined to believe you. However, that isn't proof. It does sound logical enough for us to keep an eye on Markus and watch what moves he makes. In the end though they may not relent for fear that it would seem out of the ordinary and thus tip of Markus and cause them to delay their plans.”

“I see. I hadn't thought about that.”

“There is a chance though Joseph and I believe that you should tell Mina and my mother about this. They can take it from there and pass it on to some of our brothers. I really think that would be the best move.”

“Thanks Maria. Well then. If you don't mind would you wait for me to get ready? It's still early and I would like to tell Flora and then Mina.”

***********************************************************************************

Mirin once again found himself setting atop Sora's thigh even as he listened to Mina. While he didn't show any emotions he actually found himself quite intrigued by the theory. “It's a wonderful theory I'll give you that and this was brought to you by Maria's Joseph?”

In response Mina gave a quick nod. “Yeah. I guess he really is trying to help the escapees.”

“Indeed. While his reasons are somewhat strange in my opinion and I feel his mercy is being wasted I have to admit the theory has merit. It has too much merit for us not to act on it and fortunately now we can. With the capture of the last of the escapees we can tel Markus that his services are no longer needed and he may choose from amongst the claimed.”

To this Mina gave a nod. “I doubt that he's going to choose right away. Even if Joseph's theory proves to be false the odds of him picking someone right off the bat are just too low.”

“Indeed. However, there may be a way for us to speed up his choosing. If we announced that we believed the mage was amongst those that hadn't tried to escape and began working them over the mage would be hurried. This would hurry Markus in return.”

Before Mirin could continue speaking Mina spoke up. “Mirin that was one of the things Joseph sought to avoid by not telling us. I don't believe that it would be a good move on our part to do the very thing he feared so much. On top of that not all the claimed are deserving of such treatment. Such brutality would be unjust to those that are truly working to earn their life back.”

Before speaking Sora reached down and gave Mirin a quick flick on the arm. The impact was actually enough to make him yelp slightly and begin rubbing where she had flicked him. “Yeah Mirin that's just going too far.”

A sigh escaped Mirin as he continued to rub his now throbbing arm. “It was just a suggestion.”

In response to Mirin's comment Sora gave him another flick. “You're one of the highest rank brothers around. Even your little comments can have affects if you don't think them through.”

A sharp grunt had escaped Mirin when Sora had given him the second flick. “Okay you win. I was being unfairly brutal.”

To this Sora gave a nod. “That's better. Now want me to kiss your arm better?”

“No thanks.”

Ah come on. I want to kiss your arm better.”

“I know.”

“Then why not let me?”

“You were the one that flicked me in the arm.”

“Ah! You can be such a spoil sport.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina despite the seriousness of the news she'd brought. “Well then. Mirin I guess you can pick the sister that's going to keep an eye on Markus and who's going to deliver the news.”

“I'll see that it's taken care of before the hour is up.”

Before Mina could leave Sora spoke up one last time. “If he doesn't I'll give him another flick.”

***********************************************************************************

As Joseph neared the market he could hear the music already. It reminded him that he wanted to ask Maria about her musical skills later and why she hadn't used them since she received her speed increase. He was also reminded that he hadn't really eaten much that day as he noted the smell of smoked meat being carried on the winds as well as the sent of vegetables and fruits searing.

Alexa grinned as she set at the table. She had chosen to skip dinner so that she could eat during the night as apparently had many of her sisters. It was a common practice whenever one planned to come, listen to the music, dance, socialize and have fun in general. Tonight was special though. As it was the night they'd recaptured the last of the escapees several sisters had come out to celebrate as had several brothers.

Upon entering the market Joseph immediately took note of his surroundings. It was perhaps more crowded now then it was during the day at least the center of the market was. What he really took notice of though was a few groups of males scattered throughout the market. While human was the dominant race amongst the males he also noted some elves and dwarfs. For a moment he started to go towards them whenever he heard a familiar voice.

“Hey Joseph I'm glad you finally decided to come!” As she spoke Kiara made her way over to Joseph.

“Hello Kiara. So I guess you've already made your rounds tonight.”

“Indeed I have.”

“That kind of makes me feel guilty about going with you on some of your rounds. I must have really slowed you down.”

“Ah it isn't a big deal.”

“So Kiara I hope you don't mind me asking but is Maria here?”

In response Kiara gave her head a quick shake. “I don't smell her here. She's probably off sleeping.”

“Ah I was hoping to speak to her. Ah well. Kiara, I can't help but notice that they're a fair number of humans here.”

In response Kiara gave a nod. “They don't work in the market but some of them come by regularly to unwind. You should go speak to them a bit.”

“I have to say I'm a bit surprised by how many are here.”

“Ah well don't be too surprised. I mean would you really be impressed if that turned out to be all of them?”

“Um well no but is that all of them.”

“No. I just don't think you should be impressed.”

“Ah very well then. Well I think I'll wait to meet them later actually. I've never been the type to just walk up to strangers.”

“You'll never get anywhere that way. Come on and I'll introduce you to them.”

“No thanks.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah I'd rather just look around as it's my first time here.”

“That's fine. Hey Joseph are you going to take part in the fire eating contest?”

“Huh? What exactly is that?”

“It's part of the annual winter celebration and sort of a party game at other times. We take some fresh fish and cut it very very thinly. We then powder it very generously with searing rout. People then see who can eat the most of it without taking a drink.”

“What if you don't like fish?”

“Other meats are usable if you don't care for fish. The big thing is whether or not you can endure the heat. I think they're going to have an impromptu game here pretty soon. So feel like playing?”

“I'll have to think about it. Will you be participating?”

“Er not this time. I've pretty much given up on competing against Dan. I swear that human has something other then a tongue in his mouth.”

“You mean Mina's mate?”

In response Kiara gave a quick nod. “He's actually managed to win the official contest the last two years in a row and several impromptus.”

“How is that possible?”

“We're quite resistant to heat and other forms of actual attacks. We're even very resistant to poisons and bacteria. However, our tongues resistance to spices isn't exactly beyond that of a humans. I'd even go so far as to say that we're only as resistant to such things as most humans. Well except sisters like Mina.”

“So Dan's primary competition is his mate?”

A slight giggle escaped Kiara as she gave her head a quick shake. “No way. Mina can't stand spicy food at least not that spicy. Her record to date is getting to three slices and that's only with Dan encouraging her every step of the way. This year she's hoping to make it to four but I have my doubts.”

“Are you serious?”

In response Kiara gave a quick nod. “Well yeah. So do you feel like competing?”

“I. I suppose so it sounds like it could be a bit of fun. When will it be happening.”

“Come with me I'll show you to the tables.”

Mina gave a sigh as she felt Dan's hand press against her massive back. She knew that he would be competing with her soon but he was still going to encourage her to go as far as she could. Of course she wanted to do the same to him. “So are you going to show everyone here how to handle a fire on your tongue?”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he patted Mina on the back. “No I believe that you're going to do that this time.”

“I wish. I'll be lucky to get to three slices again.”

“Mina you're going to beat three slices this time I know it. You've made it to three before you know you can endure it and you're going to do it again. Not only are you going to do it again but you're going to do better.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she leaned to the side and gave Dan a kiss on his head. “I swear I don't know why I put myself through this. This could almost count as self inflicted torture.”

“It's because you don't want to cheat yourself out of a wonderful spice and this is one way to mastering it.” Even as Dan spoke he couldn't have removed his grin even if he wanted to. It had been quite a surprise whenever he'd learned that his big strong Mina couldn't handle hot spices on her food. It had actually made him even more fond of her to see that side of her though.

Mina took a moment to rub her forehead as she realizes she was already beginning to sweat. Just the thought of placing the spice saturated fish into her mouth made her rather nervous. “Well it does have an interesting flavor I just wish I could enjoy it over the pain.”

“In time you will learn to do so.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she shook her head. “Were you trying to sound sagely just now?”

“Just a little.”

“Even though I'm a few decades older then you?”

“You sure don't look it.”

“Well thank you.” As Mina finished speaking she leaned towards Dan and gave him a kiss atop his head. Of course he'd been surprised whenever she'd revealed how old she truly was to him but it didn't seem to trouble him. Of course, the difference wasn't as great as some human elf relationships.

“Dan, Mina so you two are competing in the eating contest?”

In response to the voice Mina and Dan glanced over at Joseph though Mina was the one that spoke up. “Well I don't know if I'd call it competing. I'm just practicing a bit. Dan here is here to win.”

As Joseph spoke he made his way over to the table and took a position opposite Mina and Dan. “Is that true Dan?”

“Mina makes it out to be more certain then it is. Really I'm just here to enjoy some nice spicy fish. Are you going to be joining us?”

“Yeah Kiara talked me into it. So when will the fish be served?”

“It'll be a while yet this is an impromptu after all.”

As Joseph and Dan chatted for a moment Mina considered telling Joseph about their plan. How the escapees would continue to be punished as even if Joseph was right they had to keep up appearances. However, there was something she thought he'd like to know more. “Joseph I had a chance to speak with Mirin about your theory. He thinks it's worth looking into as do the other brothers and keepers we told about it. They're going to commit some resources to examining your proposed path.”

“That's good to know. What about the path they're currently traveling?”

“Well while your theory is a good one we aren't certain it's true. So we're going to be continuing the path we were already on as well.”

In response Joseph gave a nod. “I see. Well maybe I can come up with some more evidence to support my theory.”

“If you can that would help your case and maybe get us to abandon the current path. You might be happy to know that in the interest of conserving energy though we're decreasing the intensity with which we've been pursuing the old path.”

“I'm glad to here that. So Dan isn't the alchemy shop suppose to be open constantly?”

“Indeed it is and it is right now.”

“So who runs the place whenever you're not there? If it's going to take a while for the food to be ready maybe I should go and meet them.”

“Typically apprentices run the alchemy shop during the slower hours. Right now Steven is watching the shop for me.”

“I can't say I know the name. What is he exactly?”

“Steven is one of the humans that was raised here. He only recently come of age to start minding the shop this year though.” A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “From what I know he had one tough time convincing his mother to let him begin now.”

“Is he like Allen?”

“Indeed he is. Damn, as tough as Steven had it I don't know how Allen is going to convince Stella to let him start working there.”

In response to Dan's comment Mina spoke up. “Now Dan I know Stella is protective of Allen but she doesn't smother him. You should have heard her talking to him about her having to go out more often and how he needed to be brave for her.”

In response Dan gave a slight shrug. “I don't know Mina. Even now Stella tends to watch Allen very closely.”

A sigh escaped Mina as she shook her head. “She's only being a bit more careful then most of us are with our children and mates.”

Dan gave a slight chuckle as he nodded his head. “Well yeah I suppose you have me there.”

Before anyone else could comment a voice rang throughout the entire market. “Okay everyone. The fish is ready and we've prepared some pork for those of you who don't like fish. If you're going to be competing in the contest please take a seat in the center area. If you're already seated there but don't want to compete please move to a different area unless you want us to force the fish into your mouth.”

Joseph noted several people chuckling as if a joke had just been made. However, several people began to stand up and move away from the center area clearly not wanting to be involved. He also noted Mina twitching for a moment as if she was going to leave until Dan placed a hand on her massive hand. This seemed to settle her down and she grew still.

“Okay it looks like everyone who wants to be clear is clear. As we have someone that's new to the contest I'll go over the rules. You take one slice of fish or pork and eat it. You must chew each piece you take at the very least ten times. If you're found just swallowing you get a spoonful of powder and are disqualified.

You must eat your next piece within thirty seconds of when the call to consume is given. If you don't you're disqualified. If you throw up your disqualified. If you take a drink of water or use any form of magic you're disqualified. There is to be no complaining about your slice being overly saturated with spice or someones being under saturated. If you see a piece that you don't believe has much spice and someone beats you to it deal with it.

I'll be calling to consume. Once you've eaten as much as you can take you can go to the refreshment table and get whatever you want. I suggest you drink something thicker then water.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he looked at Joseph. “Be careful about assuming a piece doesn't have much spice on it. Some of the cooks like to open up the fillet and sneak some extra spice inside.”

“I take it that only applies to these minor games.”

“Indeed the official game is far better organized.” As Dan noted the food being brought out he turned his attention to Mina. “Are you ready for this?”

“Mm not really but I'm going to do it.” A sigh escaped Mina as the large plates of fish and pork were placed before them. She could smell the spice on both items and it nearly made her recoil. It felt like her tongue was already drying up and she felt the need to go for a cup of water already. Dan was setting next to her though and she wanted to stay in the competition as long as she could.

There was no way that anyone could taste that fish. At least that was how Joseph felt as he noted the amount of spice coating it. Normally the spice was meant to complement the flavor of the fish but right now Joseph felt the fish was only a platform on which to deliver the spice. As the plates were set down he noted Dan and the others had already taken up a piece. In response he followed soot holding the piece of fish near his mouth and remembering he had to chew.

“Consume.”

Despite her hesitation the moment Mina heard the words she tossed the fish into her mouth. As she began to chew and the spice began to coat her tongue she was made to shake. She could already feel the heat filling up her mouth and her eyes nearly started to water. Then she felt Dan's hand on her massive thigh gently rubbing it and she looked at him. The pain didn't go away but it diminished even as she chewed her fish and swallowed.

The fish was every bit as spicy as Joseph had expected it to be. He noted the warmth on his tongue as he chewed and swallowed. It wasn't enough to send him going for a drink though. He was a bit surprised though whenever he noticed Mina and how much trouble she seemed to be having at the moment. Apparently she didn't have much of a fondness or a tongue for such spicy food. He had been told as much of course but actually seeing it happen was something else.

“Well that's one down and we only had two go out. Not bad. Okay consume.”

While Dan used one hand to pick up his next slice of fish and pop it into his mouth the other stayed on Mina's thigh. As he saw her lifting the fish he actually tightened his grip on her massive leg to try and reassure her. It actually amazed Dan how much this seemed to helped Mina. Mina was big both in height and in build. Even if she'd been a regular sized woman her muscles would have been huge. Standing at four meters tall though her massive thigh made his hand look like a small child's. Yet she took such comfort in knowing that it was there.

As Mina chewed the fish she had to fight the urge to just swallow until she chewed for the tenth time. The fish sliding down her throat didn't relieve the pain though and indeed it only seemed to flair up worse. She didn't know how Dan could tolerate such heat on his food but he wasn't even blinking yet.

Dan smiled up at Mina as she looked down at him. “You can do this Mina. You're about to three again and this time you're going to beat three. I'm right here with you and I know you can do it.”

While Joseph wasn't having it as rough as Mina he could hardly believe the lack of response from Dan. Such spices tended to be used sparingly and even then most needed a few cups of refreshments to handle a dish. Joseph had some experience eating spicy food but even he was pushing it at the moment.

“MM a few more drop outs already? Ah well. Consume!”

It was only Dan's hand on her thigh keeping Mina in her seat as she placed the third piece of fish into her mouth. The ideal seemed laughable for a moment as she noted how little of her massive thigh Dan's hand covered. Even if he had clung to her leg with all of his might she wouldn't have had any trouble walking. As she chewed though she felt his hand doing more then wresting on her thigh rather it began to glide over it very slowly and gently even approaching her inner thigh a few times.

“You're doing wonderful Mina. Just hold out for a little while longer and you'll be able to go get a drink knowing you beat your old score.”

The difference between the third piece of fish and the second was truly amazing to Joseph. What had been uncomfortable for him was now reaching the state where it was painful. He actually noted himself beginning to sweat. As he looked around though he realized he wasn't the only one. Dan on the other hand seemed to be doing just fine. “Dan how are you doing this?”

In response to Joseph's comment Dan gave a shrug. “I grew up on food like this. Well not quite as spicy but a similar type of cooking.”

“Huh? So you're not from around the forest?”

“Ah no. I lived quite a bit further away before.”

“Consume.”

As Mina picked up the fourth piece of fish she was made to shiver as she slipped it into her mouth. Carefully she chewed the piece of fish ten times while reaching down for Dan's hand. Her massive hand engulfed his as she gently lifted it from her thigh. As she released her hold on his hand a mini explosion seemed to shake the area as over half a ton of muscle leaped from its seat and began to dash towards the refreshment table.

Joseph didn't know what to say. One minute Mina had been there and then he'd felt the table shudder violently. Apparently the force needed to propel four meters or massive and dense muscle was quite astounding. As his gaze turned to Dan he was surprised to see Dan was actually chuckling a bit.

After finishing his piece of fish Dan looked over at Mina. “Wonderful work Mina! I knew you could do it.”

There was no response to Dan from Mina even as he praised her. Rather while her right hand held one cup of juice her left had already secured another. The first was emptied into her mouth in moments when the left was lifted to it. Even as she was draining the left cup though her right hand released the empty one and secured another.

Everyone seemed to have been stunned by Mina's sudden departure from the table. Several others were beginning to laugh though no mockery could be heard. There were a few shouts of congratulations though Mina was far from winning. It seemed clear to Joseph that most knew of Mina's trouble with spicy food. “Well I can't say I was expecting that.”

“I probably should have warned you the moment Mina took hold of my hand. So Joseph how long do you think you can last?”

“I'm not going out any time soon.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he gave his head a nod. “Well then get ready for another bit then.”

“Consume.”

A sigh escaped Mina as she finished off the seventh large mug. Her tongue was still tingling but the pain was going away. A slight giggle escaped her a moment later as she looked back towards the table and noted Joseph and Dan. Apparently Joseph thought that he could last as long as her Dan. Joseph was already showing signs that the heat was getting to him while Dan was still quite cool. She was rather doubtful that Joseph would manage to beat Dan.

“So Dan I heard you've lost these a few times.”

“Yes occasionally I have.”

“How did that end up happening?”

“Well when you're competing with the girls if the heat isn't enough to beat them you're going to lose. They can handle fitting more in their stomach then we can after all.”

“What? So you've only been out eaten you've never been done in by the heat?”

“Now I didn't say that.”

“Ha quite funny. Now. Has the heat ever done you in?”

In response Dan gave a nod. “Indeed it has a few times even I have my limits to how much of this I can eat before I need a drink.”

At first Joseph said nothing as the order to consume was given again. As he finished chewing and swallowed though he was ready to continue questioning Dan. “I'm surprised you didn't say anything about you eating more heavily spiced fish or them eating less spiced fish.”

“Why would I do that?”

“To explain why you lost.”

In response Dan gave a shrug. “I lost that is all there is to it. Besides those times I lost Mina wasn't there.”

“Huh?”

Dan had a grin on his face as he looked away from Joseph and towards Mina. It was true what he'd told Joseph. Having Mina around seemed to encourage his competitive streak even if it was as on something as silly as a eating contest. She was grinning though so he felt confident that he'd said the right thing. “It helps whenever someone is around to encourage you.”

Before Joseph could respond the order to consume was given in and he found himself chewing on another bit of fish. As he chewed he could feel his face warming up and he was beginning to feel an urgent need to get a drink of water. It was hard for Joseph to tell how Dan was doing with his tongue on fire but Dan seemed to be quite fine to him.

***********************************************************************************

“Hello Mina what brings you here?”

As Markus greeted her Mina was regretting being up so late. The night time festivities had gone on for quite some time even after the eating contest and she and Dan had stayed there. Now she felt and was visibly groggy. “Hi Markus I just came to let you know the last of the escapees have been found. In accordance with our agreement you may now pick from amongst any of the claimed that didn't try to escape and they'll be moved to rank one.”

“That's wonderful news!”

“Yeah I thought you might like that.” A sigh escaped Mina as she rubbed her eye. “Well I just came to deliver the news I need to get to work.”

“Are you going to check on your claimed?”

“Huh? Oh no. I'm in charge of interrogating a lot of the escapees. Mm I hope I don't drown anyone today I'm kind of out of it. I may have to ask Flora to see to it.”

In response Markus gave a nod. “I see. Well thank you for the news though I hope you don't mind me asking but. Why you?”

“Why me what?”

“Why did you see fit to deliver the message.”

In response Mina gave a shrug. “Someone had to deliver it and I hoped the run would wake me up.”

“It doesn't seem to have worked.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she nodded her head. “I would have to agree. Maybe I should take a teaspoon of searing root. Anyway, I take it you know where all the claimed are housed.”

In response Markus gave a quick nod. “I'm fairly certain I do.”

“All the keepers know of our agreement so pick as you like. I'm going to head back.”

“Wait Mina. There is something I want to ask. Would it be possible for me to take some of the claimed for the day once in a while to see how skilled they are in the wilderness?”

“You mean take them away from their tasks? Not a chance. If you want to test them you're going to have to explain the situation to them. They do have some free time after all and it's up to them if they want to spend it with you or not.”

“What? Do you realize how much more difficult that'll make choosing a partner?”

“Markus we're already short on people to handle the duties the claimed regularly tend to. We're not going to further diminish that resource pool. Until we're done interrogating the escapees we can't really allow such things.”

A sigh escaped Markus as he shook his head. “Fine.”

As Shiara watched Mina leaving she had a wide grin on her face. Her sister had done quite a good job of keeping up appearances though Shiara felt Mina's tone had been a bit harsher then normal. However, now Shiara's actual work had to begin. Mirin had asked her to shadow Markus.

***********************************************************************************

“You'll probably want to drink this.”

Joseph groaned lightly as he looked up at Maria's smile face. For a moment he reached up and fumbled around until he felt her place something cool in his hands. “I'm not sure if I can keep it down.”

“Don't worry that's both light and soothing on the stomach.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she walked away from Joseph and set down.

“Thanks. I feel terrible.” As he spoke Joseph took a few light sips of the drink. Fortunately it was cool and fairly tasteless which in his current condition was a blessing.

“I heard you kept up with Dan for a while last night. I'm not surprised you're feeling sick.”

“Those spices aren't exactly easy on the digestive system.”

“At least not a humans.”

“Well yeah. At least I'm not Dan though.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she noted the grin on Joseph's face. “Actually Dan's doing just fine I saw him this morning whenever I went into the dining hall to pick that up for you.”

“Huh? Are you sure that he's a human?”

“Pretty sure but nights like the last one makes us a little suspicious.”

Instead of responding right away Joseph took a few more sips of the juice and slowly began to set up. “Last night I was hoping you'd be at the festival.”

“Yeah I heard you were asking about me. I'm sorry I wasn't there but I had already gone to sleep.”

“That's alright I understand and besides maybe it's better that we talk about it now. There is something I wanted to ask you about.”

“Oh?”

“It's something that I don't want anyone to hear us talking about though.”

For a moment Maria said nothing but took a moment to look Joseph over. “I see. Are you going to make me promise again?”

“Well I kind of need you to.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Joseph it was really hard to do this. I can't just keep making promises like the last one.

“Maria I promise you that what I'm asking you to do won't harm your sisters.”

In response Maria gave a nod. “That makes it a lot easier. Okay Joseph I promise I won't tell anyone what you're about to tell me.”

“Are we alone?”

“As far as I can tell there is no one around that can hear us. However, if you're truly worried you can whisper I'll still hear you.”

For a moment Joseph was silent and when he did speak he made sure to speak very softly. “One of the life bloom seeds survived the transformation and is currently growing inside my lab. I would like you to help me run some tests to see if it's safe for your species to eat it.”

Maria immediately felt herself lock up as she looked at Joseph. It was a struggle to keep from pouncing him and insisting that he take her to see the plant right now. Instead she took in several deep breathes and tried to calm herself. “I. I was wondering. When you'd let me break my diet.”

It was clear to Joseph that Maria was excited but containing herself. “The plant isn't ready to yield fruit just yet but it won't be long before it is. I thought I would tell you now because I need to examine you. I need a better ideal of your biology and how it responds to such things so I can tell if the fruit is having an adverse effect.”

It was as if someone had settled a great weight down upon Maria as she listened to this. “Joseph it depends on what you want to study. You know how careful we are to hide our weak points.”

“I know but Maria. I'm going to have to ask you to trust me not to seek out such secrets and if I do find one I won't ever tell anyone.”

“I. I.” A sigh escaped Maria as her previous energy seemed to fade away. “I trust you Joseph.” Even as Maria spoke she couldn't help but feel that she was endangering all her sisters by allowing someone to study her. She didn't know what information Joseph would truly need to insure the life bloom wasn't harming her but she hoped it wasn't too invasive.

“Thank you Maria. What would be a good time for the examinations?”

“Early morning would be the best time I believe.”

“Okay so could we start tomorrow?”

“Sure.”

***********************************************************************************

“Markus what brings you here?”

“Hello Liana I'm just checking amongst the claimed trying to find one worth promoting to rank one. Would it be okay if I talked to yours?”

“You already have permission from those higher then me. I can't really help you though.” A slight giggle escaped Liana as she glanced over at Markus.

“Huh? Is something wrong?”

“I haven't been issued new claimed since the escape. While some of them were retrieved mine were killed.”

“Killed doing what?”

“One of them was apparently killed by his fellow escapees as a decoy. The others tried to take Allen hostage with Pera near by. That didn't work out for them. I was really worried whenever I first heard about it.”

“You were worried they might have hurt him?”

“Of course. Allen is such a little sweet heart I was worried it might leave a bad impression on him. Then being separated from Stella for such a long time. The poor kid just had it rough all around.”

“Ah yes that I know about. I actually knew that some of the claimed had tried to take Allen as a hostage but I didn't realize that they were yours. I wonder what made them decide to take such a violent approach.”

“I think I might have been too soft on them. Perhaps they didn't realize what would happen if they did such a thing.” A sigh escaped Liana as she shook her head. “I just can't turn myself off like Mina can though. I really don't like being mean even to my prey it's just easier to give them a quick death they don't see coming.”

“I guess that's one form of mercy. Well then I guess I'll be off to speak with some of the other keepers.”

“Sure thing.”

Shiara waited until Markus had left the room and was too far away to hear to even whisper to Liana. “I doubt that you're upset by the lack of any claimed to keep.”

Liana was made to give a slight jump. Despite her hearing and sense of smell she hadn't realized Shiara was around. She did recognize the voice though. “Shiara I really wish you wouldn't do that. It's going to take an hour to get my heart to calm down.”

A slight giggle escaped Shiara as she placed a hand on her sister's shoulder. “My mistake. I forgot how easy you are to surprise when you can't hear me or smell me approaching.”

As Shiara's hand came to wrest upon her shoulder Liana was astounded that her sister could be so hard to detect. Just by the feeling of Shiara's hand it was clear how massive she truly was. “So just what are you up to?”

“Oh I'm just helping Mirin with a little investigation.”

“Oh just what type of investigation.”

“I'm just shadowing Markus for the moment.”

“Are you sure you should be telling me this or even talking to me.”

“Of course and besides I have a little favor to ask you.”

“What is that?”

“Please leave me a little snack outside of Markus's dwelling.”

“Huh?”

“I'm kind of hungry. So um please.”

A slight giggle escaped Liana. “Sure and I'll pick up a snack to keep with me as well. If you see me again just take it from me.” For a moment Liana felt a pressure exerted all around her body as if she was being hugged.

“Thanks.”

***********************************************************************************

“It stands to reason that they would want to keep up appearances if Joseph's theory is indeed correct. So I'm not surprised that Shiara didn't learn anything on her first day of observation. Still, we must prepared for the possibility that Joseph's theory is wrong.”

“Hey Mirin why don't you just try using a spell to force Markus to tell you what you want to know?”

“Well it is possible Sora but such spells are rather high risks. They can damage the person they're being cast upon and it would be most unfortunate to learn that we'd dealt such an injury to an innocent person.”

“Huh? Are you serious? I didn't expect that to come from you.”

“Well I imagine you would scold me if I said it was a good ideal. Once you learned abut the risks.”

A slight giggle escaped Sora as she nodded her head. “Well yeah I would have. So what other theories do you want to investigate?”

“Unfortunately most of the other theories can't truly be investigated at this moment. It's quite frustrating. If the mage did stay behind the odds of us managing to make a spell to track him using some of his spiritual residue are nearly none existent. At least within the confines of the market area.”

“So how long do you plan on having Shiara shadow Markus?”

“Hopefully until he chooses a claimed to set free.”

“That could be a while if they're really trying to keep up appearances.”

“True. I wonder if we can encourage Markus and the mage to make their move sooner. Perhaps we should announce plans to begin testing every claimed for magic ability.”

“Mirin I'm not a mage but even I know how difficult that is. While a novice would have difficulty a proficient mage would have little trouble masking their abilities.”

“That is true but it isn't impossible and even a slight chance of detecting may accelerate their plans as it seems to have whenever Mina found some of their supplies. Plus there is still the chance that the test themselves may yield results.”

“That's true. You could also make the current claimed pick up the slack of those that are currently being dealt with.”

“You know Sora I believe you actually have a good ideal there. At least it would be something to begin with. Would you mind talking it over with your fellow keepers and seeing if they'll agree to do so?”

In response Sora gave a quick nod. “Sure I doubt that it'll be tough to convince them. Unless of course the mage is one of the trusted claimed then it might feel out of place going harder on them.”

“It might be something they have to deal with.”

“Yeah, so do you have any ideals on how to go about testing for a mage?”

In response Mirin gave a nod. “Yes I do. Unguided mystic energy tends to respond to a mage's presence more strongly then it does someone who isn't magically attuned. We can use that to run some tests though if a mage chooses to conceal themselves it's not exceptionally accurate. We can place them in random locations and let some of the claimed over hear that they're out there but not where.”

“Oh I see. So he will have to keep his magic constantly restrained if he wants to insure he isn't detected.”

“Exactly. It's a shame we didn't learn of the scrolls sooner or we could have began testing then. Channeling the energies to empower them would have left him easier to detect.”

***********************************************************************************

“Mom can we talk?”

In response to Maria's voice Flora glanced over at Mina. “Do you mind if I step out for a few?”

“Of course not. Even I can hear from Maria's tone she needs you right now.”

In response Flora gave a quick nod. “Thank you.”

Maria gave a sigh as she looked around. While she'd been smiling whenever she'd left Joseph's she couldn't help but feel concerned. Her mother had always been a good source of wisdom to her though she hadn't always listened. So she had chosen to turn to her.

“What's the matter Flora?”

“Can we speak in low tones? I just want this to be you and me.”

“Of course.” As she spoke Flora lowered her voice so that only her daughter could hear her. “Now what is the matter?”

“It's Joseph. I care for him and have grown really fond of him recently. I mean really fond of him. He's been asking me to promise certain things though. I'll go ahead and tell you that while I have made the promises each time I've felt as if I was betraying you and my other sisters on some level.”

“Ah. So it is, I'm about to tell you something but I need you to promise me that you won't tell anyone else type?”

“Exactly.”

A sigh escaped Flora as she nodded her head. “Such promises are rather hard to make when you don't know what they're going to ask. I have no doubt that Joseph cares for you sweet heart and wouldn't do anything to harm you. At least not directly. So I suppose what he has to ask is in regards to your sisters and myself.”

“Well yeah.”

“Maria this is something I haven't had much experience with. I've never really found another that caught my eye to the point that I wanted to make him my only one. You should probably speak to Mina about this.”

“Do you believe she could offer some advice?”

“I believe she could do a better job of it then I could. However I will say this. It isn't fair for Joseph to be putting these kinds of burden on you. You need to make it clear to him that this hurts you and you don't enjoy it.”

“Thanks mom.”

“You're welcome my baby. Now come on and I'll give Mina a break while you talk with her.”

***********************************************************************************

“Maria what you need to realize that Joseph is scared. He knows something about our people and culture but he doesn't know everything. So he's worried that there is some little detail that he's missing and that if what he was telling you got out it could have very bad results. If not for him then for others that he wouldn't wish harm upon.”

“Mina did you go through something similar with Dan?”

In response Mina quickly nodded her head. “Early on it was very hard to get Dan to make anything other then what he knew we already had. He even refused to use the short cuts and more material efficient methods he himself had learned. It was only as he came to trust the society as a whole that he began to actually write down his knowledge and use it more freely.”

“Hey. I bet that's why Joseph made me promise not to tell anyone whenever he mentioned his theory about the claimed.”

“You're right. Joseph wasn't worried about his own safety but he didn't want to make the claimed suffer. So he wanted to insure that you wouldn't tell anyone without his permission to insure that his thoughts didn't lead to the pain or death of others. However, I agree with your mother. It isn't fair that he keeps putting such burdens on you.”

“So you believe I should confront him as well?”

In response Mina gave a nod. “It's good that he trusts you. Especially that he trust you enough to tell you such things. However, he needs to trust you enough to talk about such things with you freely with no promises involved.”

“I'm just kind of worried that telling him that will cause him to close up to me a bit.”

“Firstly if it does cause him to close up that means he isn't ready for such a trusting relationship. Secondly he may not realize to what extent his request are harming you. I believe that is truly the case and it should cause him to quit.”

“Thanks Mina. So what did Dan tell you that you weren't to tell anyone else?”

“I'm not going to tell you that!”

“Ah! Come on. It has to been years now.”

“No. Unless, maybe you'd be willing to tell me what Joseph told you in exchange.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she looked up into Mina's eyes. “You don't mean a word of that.”

“Of course not!”

“Thanks for the talk Mina. I believe that I will go speak with Joseph about it.”

“You're welcome. Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to work.”

***********************************************************************************

Liana had a massive grin on her face as she made her way towards the alchemy shop. She was already wearing the special bracelets, anklets and necklace needed to be around such supplies. She was also packing a book that to a human would have been quite hefty though in her massive hands it seemed to almost be a pocket book.

As the door swung open Dan looked up. It was quite hard for him to hide his surprise. “Liana? What are you doing here?”

“I brought the book you requested.” As she spoke Liana closed the door and walked over to the counter placing the book in front of Dan as she did.

“Why you though?”

“I've been transferred to the library!”

“Really? Well congratulations! How did that happen though?”

“Well as the group of claimed I looked over are all dead it freed me up for something. I thought I would just be assigned new claimed but instead I was told to report to the library. Actually, I wonder if you didn't have something to do with that.”

“Now what gives you that ideal?”

“It just seems kind of sudden.”

“Well Liana you weren't exactly subtle about the fact that you don't enjoy watching over the claimed and prefer a gentler assignment. You also have a soft touch that's needed for handling such materials.”

“Uhuh.” A slight giggle escaped Liana as she looked down at the book which Dan had began to thumb through. “So what are you reading?”

“A book.”

“Huh?”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “I'm sorry Liana that was me being a bastard. I'm working on an ideal I had to help detect magic users. There are a few things I need to look up though.”

“Oh. Can you tell me your ideal?”

“Sure. The standard method of detecting a magic user is to detect the higher concentration of mystic energy in and around them. However, this doesn't tend to work very well when the person learns to disperse or conceal such energies. I got to thinking recently though. Generally those that handle magic energy a great deal develop a sort of resistance or tolerance to it. I'm working on an ideal to detect them based on this.”

“It sounds interesting. Could you tell me more?”

In response Dan gave a nod. “Sure. Effectively I plan to discharge a very small amount of mystic energy into a person. If they are damaged by it I can assume that they're not a mage as they don't have the resistance one develops after years of channeling such energies through their body. If the energy fails to have an affect on them it's a sign that they have some experience with magic or an abnormally high resistance.”

“So it wouldn't tell you who the mage is for certain?”

“No but it should give me an ideal. What's best about this method though is it can be done quickly I believe. That way the mage can't intentionally lower their resistance and allow the magic to affect them. Now Liana I don't want you telling anyone about this though.”

“Yeah I can see why. If the mage caught wind of this he'd probably just keep his guard lowered all the time.”

In response Dan gave a quick nod. “That is true though. If I can figure out a way to use this method along with a more traditional method it may be nearly impossible for the mage to hide themselves. As while lowering their guard to let the energy affect them they're also going to have to let their own energies flow.”

“Really? It sounds like you got it figured out.”

A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “I wish. The problem is that by hitting the subject with the initial energy for the first test the secondary test could be thrown off. Unless I can think of a way around that little problem. Well I shouldn't be thinking of that now first I have to find out if the initial test can even be done.”

“Is there anything else you need then?”

“Nothing comes to mind at the moment. I'll probably need to get some more books for research later though. Then again, Liana have you studied up on the natural magic abilities of creatures?”

“It depends on the creature you're talking about I've actually studied a few of them though.”

In response Dan gave a nod. “Then perhaps you can help me. If you don't mind staying around that is.”

“I'm sure it'll be okay as long as I'm helping with something worth while. I'd say that what you're working on now is worth while especially if it works out.”

“Alright then.”

***********************************************************************************

Just what was Maria made of? Joseph set quietly watching some of Maria's blood mixed in with a healing potion before him. It had taken remarkable effort for him to get through her skin and to get the sample. Of course he'd realized that something meant to break human skin wouldn't be enough but it felt like he was trying to punch his way through plate armor before he finally got through. At the very least her skin seemed to rival leather armor.

He had his sample now though and found himself watching it. One thing that already surprised him was how completely the blood sample was stripping the potion of energy. Human blood would generally leave behind trace elements of mystic energy however Maria's was truly sucking it dry. He would have loved to study this trait in greater detail but he knew that he couldn't.

His goal was to find out if it would be safe for Maria to eat the life bloom or not. The simplest method of finding this out would have been to wait until the fruit was ready and give her some. However, that was also one of the most dangerous. These test were far safer.

“Joseph we need to talk.”

Despite thinking about Maria Joseph was a bit surprised whenever he heard her. He was also worried as he noticed the tone of her voice and quickly turned around. “What is it Maria?”

“Joseph I want to talk to you about these promises you've been having me make.”

It was clear to Joseph that he'd done something he shouldn't have done. Instinctively he began to think of ways to defend his actions but he kept the thoughts repressed. Jumping to conclusions was a bad thing especially in delicate matters. “I did something foolish didn't I?”

“I well. I'll let you be the judge of that but I want you to know how I feel. Do you understand?”

“I understand that I should listen right now.”

In response Maria gave a nod. “Joseph you probably noticed that my society puts a lot of value on trust. We're relatively few in number so that we have to. We look out for one another and take care of one another and we trust each other to do so. However, when you ask me to promise to tell no one regardless of what you're about to tell me you're asking me to betray that trust. You're wanting me to assure you that no matter what I'm about to learn even if it endangers all my sisters greatly I won't tell any of them. Do you realize what a betrayal of their trust that is each time I make such a promise?”

“I'm sorry Maria. When I asked you to make such promises I was thinking about how what I was about to say could harm others. I didn't stop to think that asking you to make such a promises had already brought harm.”

“I know you didn't. I should have explained it to you before I made the first promise after all you're not from here.”

“I won't ask you to take such an unfair oath again.”

“Thank you.”

“I'll make you a promise now. When it comes time for me to tell you something or ask you something that I fear the consequences of I'll trust you. Just as I trusted you to keep your word each time that I asked for it.”

For a moment Maria's lips parted into a wide smile. “I'm happy to hear that. Well then how are the test going?”

“They're going just fine. I didn't expect any complications to be honest though I wish I hadn't broken those syringes. I'm curious. Maria do your people have healers that specialize in healing your sisters?”

“Um well we have healers that are very good at helping us heal but they work on the brothers as well. It's just so rare for one of us to get injured to the point that we need a healer that it's kind of pointless to have someone only prepared to do that.”

“That makes sense. You know there is something I've been wanting to ask you personally that I just remembered. Maria I was told that you were once quite a good musician. Do you still play any instruments?”

“Ah well I wouldn't say that I was very good. I knew how to play a few things I haven't played in a long time though.”

“How come?”

“My speed sort of did me in. If I wanted to play instruments again first I would have to get my body to unlearn everything that it'd learned before hand. Then I'd have to teach myself all over again.”

“Why would you have to unlearn anything?”

“Well, have you ever gotten to the point where you could perform an action without thinking of it? Your body just knows what to do and how much force to use?”

“Ah I see the problem. When you suddenly increase your speed by more then four times that's a problem.”

“Exactly. I actually broke some of my old instruments whenever I last tried to play them.”

“That's a shame I would really like to hear you play. I bet it was nice.”

“Na it wasn't anything special.”

“Given that some people still remember you playing I have to disagree.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Maybe that actually means I was a very bad music player and that's why they remember me. They've just forgotten that the reason they remember was me being bad.”

“Now that I don't believe. Did you enjoy playing?”

In response Maria gave a nod. “It was kind of fun I just don't know if I have it in me to go through the learning process all over again.”

In response Joseph gave a nod. “I understand that said I still think it would be nice to hear you play.”

“Well what about you? I know that you're an alchemist Joseph but what other hobbies do you have?”

“I can't say that I do anything in particular. I tend to enjoy reading.”

“You must have been quite bored recently then. I mean what do you do whenever you're not working in your lab?”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “Well I've been rather busy lately working on the life bloom. Honestly by the time I've finished with that I don't really want to do any thinking so I just lay around or go for a walk. Going to the market to eat often proves to be an enjoyable experience as well even whenever I end up helping some of your sisters.”

“You know I just realized you haven't had to try on any outfits in a while. I wonder what's going to be waiting for you now that things are back to normal.”

“Um well I was kind of hoping they would have forgotten about me doing that or found someone else.”

“Ah I thought you enjoyed it.”

“Don't get me wrong it's not that I minded.”

“You just felt really strange doing it. Right?”

“Well yes.”

“Well in that case I shall refrain from reminding Nora and Flora. Anyway, you spent so long away from the market doing your work before this even began I imagine they've moved on and found someone else to help out.”

“That's a comforting thought.”

***********************************************************************************

Patience was an odd thing. Like most of her sisters Shiara could hardly stand having nothing to do. She always felt the urge to go out and stretch her legs or go on the hunt. She just had no tolerance for a lack of things to do. Yet as she had been watching Markus she had all the patience she needed. The mage and he had become her prey and she was only waiting for both of them to expose their heads before she struck.

“I have to say Alex I'm surprised. Your knowledge of the local plant life is far greater then I believed it would be.”

“Thank you Markus. When I came here I was with an expedition to try and retrieve some plants from the forest the ministry had deemed necessary.”

“Necessary for what?”

“The up coming war efforts. Naturally I wasn't pleased about it but previous groups had journeyed successfully into the forest and came back okay. Unfortunately our leader was a bit more bold or foolish then the other groups and took us further into the forest.”

“I see. So you have no training as a soldier?”

Unfortunately not but I have been striving to learn as much about this forest as I can.”

“Let me see your hands and arms.”

In response Alex rolled up his sleeves and exposed his hands. “So do you think that I am ready? If you believe so and take me I am quite certain I can repay you.”

“Just how do you intend do that?” As Alex spoke Markus began to look over Alex's hands. It was clear that he was from good breeding and had a fairly high social ranking. His hands didn't show the signs of years of labor or sword training.

“While it means nothing here outside of this cursed forest I do have allies. I'm sure they'd be willing to compensate you for my safe return. Assuming of course I am prepared for the journey.”

“Why do you include that last part?”

“You're a woodsman I take it one who's experienced in these forests. I assume the reason you wish to inspect me and question me is to gather whether I would be a hindrance or an aid in your leaving of this place. If I am a hindrance though I increase the odds of us dieing and I would much prefer to leave here alive then remain here dead.”

In response Markus gave a nod. “Well you're not the first person to offer to pay me to have you promoted and take you out of here. You are the first to ask whether or not you're ready.”

“I do plan on leaving here one day even if you don't take me now. I have been striving to prepare for that departure.”

“So tell me how do you feel about the work here?”

“It is not too my liking. I had hoped my knowledge of the local plant life and preparation methods would grant me an easier stay it has not though.”

“Preparation? You're an alchemist?”

“Unfortunately no, such knowledge was beyond my learning whenever I first came here. I am however skilled in making salves and some vitamins. I believe that these would be useful on our journey.”

“Do you know how to fight?”

“Unfortunately no.”

“So you can't even swing a sword properly or stab something with a javelin?”

In response Alex gave his head a slight shake. “One of my previous station never needed to learn such things and I have been becoming practiced in other things since my arrival here.”

“At least you're honest. Care to guess how many men here were the best soldier in their regiment?”

“I'd be willing to wager over half.”

***********************************************************************************

“So am I going to live?”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he turned to face Maria. “Well as far as I can tell you're going to. On top of that it looks like you'll be perfectly safe to test the life bloom for me.”

“Yay! So I passed all the test?”

In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Indeed you did even better then a human I might add. However, Maria I must remind you that even with testing something could go wrong.”

“Thanks for the concern but I'm confident I'll be just fine. It's not like a healing elixir has ever hurt me after all.”

“True but this isn't quite the same. Maria I hope you don't mind me asking but I've been wondering about the claimed.”

“What about them?”

“How are they doing?”

“Ah well are you sure you want to know?”

“Yes I would like to.”

For a moment Maria was silent as she took a moment to examine Joseph. He hadn't brought up the topic in a few days and she hoped that he had become content with his efforts to help them. That didn't seem to be the case. “Joseph it's too late for you to aid them. You were able to help them some though.”

“What?”

“Those that were working on the escapees including my mother and Mina announced a few days ago that they were broken and ready to return to service.”

“I see. Exactly what do you mean by broken though?”

“Normally it means that there will has been broken. They don't even try to resist or scream in the least whenever they're made to suffer. They've been reduced to quietly accepting whatever happens to them.”

“I thought you said I managed to help them some.”

In response Maria gave a nod. “They couldn't let up too much or the other sisters wouldn't be content especially those that want them dead. However, thanks to your efforts it didn't go quite as far as it normally would have. This wasn't to show the escapees mercy though.”

“What was it?”

“It was your effort of course. You pushed hard and worked to try and help them and while you didn't bring forth any concrete results you made your feelings known and were able to provide some ideals worth exploring. We can respect that you worked towards your goal and it was enough to convince them to lighten up.”

“So if they're not entirely broken what are they?”

“I suppose the best word for it would be afraid. Most of the claimed we bring in are scared so scared they'll do anything we asks. After a while though they begin to become less afraid as they learn about us. They realize that we're not going to eat one of them purely for our amusement. The escapees were brought back to that original state of fear.”

“I see. Do you think that fear will fade?”

In response Maria gave a shrug. “I believe so though perhaps not entirely. I'm quite certain they'll return to how they were before the escape attempt in a few years.”

“As you held back I take it they're being watched more carefully now despite the fear.”

In response Maria gave a very quick nod. “Indeed they are and if they do something to defy us any time soon they're going to be permanently broken.”

“That is assuming that they can be.”

“Well it isn't unheard of. I swear such people are strange and kind of hard to deal with though. It's hard not to admire someone with a truly unbreakable will at the same time though we have to do our best to insure they never behave in such a way again. At times it's hard to tell whenever you only bent someone to an extreme and when they've been broken.”

“At least I was able to help them a bit. Maria, will the mage be held responsible for what happened to those men?”

“Ah well kind of. They'll be held responsible in the same way a leader of an army would be held responsible for his troops actions.”

“I see. I take it your sisters plan on killing the mage.”

“Oh there is no doubt about that one. Even if they had come forward in the beginning they would have died for it. I'd say the best thing the mage could do at this point is kill himself though that would be upsetting.”

“I take it you want to do it.”

“Just about every last one of us does and none of us intends on making it quick or painless. Trying to escape is one thing but the methods they used are entirely unacceptable.”

“Do you mean methods that might have worked?”

“Joseph that's mean! Do you really think that poorly of me and my sisters?”

“No but part of me worried that you would say yes. So tell me Maria what would have been okay?”

“Hm well. The spell they used to hide their scent was frustrating but nothing that would bring on a greater punishment. The crystals on the other hand hurt a great deal but honestly I don't think I would have tried to break them for using the crystals. I'd want to make them experience the pain we did but not permanently break their will. The truly notable mistake that was made was trying to take hostages.”

“I see. So if someone was to hide some food and a way to mask their scent and wonder off into the forest what would happen?”

“Hm well assuming that we noticed the escape before something else found him we'd send a few people in search of the escapee. Not really a massive manhunt to be honest though. After a few days of searching we'd give up on the active hunt and just see if one of us stumbled across him in the forest. If he wasn't found we'd either accept that he'd escaped or died.”

“Okay now what if you found them?”

“Ah well the escape was a none violent in that situation so I doubt he'd have to endure much. His keeper would keep a particularly close eye on. Most likely the group he works with would be informed that if someone else escaped the wrest of the group was going to have to pick up their slack while they were gone. He'd most likely lose any trust that his keeper might have put in him before hand as well. I suppose a light beating would be in order as well.”

“That's it?”

“Well it's really up to the keeper. It wouldn't be too surprising if he had to spend an extra two or three hours on work detail. Taking away free time and making them spend it working is a common enough punishment for the claimed.”

“So when does extreme physical pain become involved?”

“Generally that becomes involved whenever something is stolen or damaged. That or if the escape is a violent one. Of course part of the punishment depends on how good of a record they have before hand.”

“Okay let's say someone that only worked whenever they were forced to do so and did the bare minimum used such a none violent method.”

“Oh well. That changes things a bit. It wouldn't surprise me too much if the tracker or keeper decided that he wasn't worth the effort and just killed him.”

“And if they're generally regarded as a hard worker?”

“Well I already explained what would happen in that situation. Now one thing they might lose that is truly significant is the right to study. As I mentioned to you a while back a claimed is allowed to study certain things so that he can work in that area later.”

“Yes I recall that. So even a hard working claimed that tried to escape in a none violent way might lose the right to study further?”

“Yeah at least for a while. That's really up to his keeper though.”

“Maria in some regions peasants are regarded with little more respect then slaves. Some would say with even less respect then you show the claimed. A peasant works the land for his or her lord and is bound to it for life. They're not permitted schooling as an act of mercy. How does that make you feel?”

“We already know that you humans can be crueler to one another then we are to you. Still it is rather strange that one would treat hard working labor so poorly and with so little regard.”

“I have a questions for you then. Let's say that somehow someone learned of how you treated the claimed. Now they're an impoverished people who go from day to day wondering if they'll have enough to eat tomorrow so that servitude to you would be better then servitude to their rulers. What would you do if they came to you begging to become your servants or one of the claimed in other words.”

As Maria listened to Joseph she actually found herself considering his question. It was an odd one that was for certain. “I'm not really sure what to say or what we would do. On the one hand it's nice whenever the claimed enjoy their work or at least don't hate it so they work harder and we sure don't enjoy being cruel to one of the claimed that's a hard worker. That said we don't exactly have infinite resources to take them in either.”

“If you're not sure at least take a guess.”

“I suppose we could see how many more claimed we need and take them in. They would have to understand though that they're relinquishing their lives to us.”

“What if they told you that giving their lives to you is better then having them owned by a tyrant that cares nothing for them?”

“I well. They'd have to understand that if they don't work they're not going to eat. We also expect them to follow our rules and. Damn I would hate to tell someone who was willingly giving themselves up all of this. Honestly I find it hard to take someone as one of the claimed if they don't try to attack someone or take from the forest first.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he noted the expression on her face. She seemed truly conflicted. “I guess it's a hard choice. What if they were more people then you needed?”

“I guess well. We could always cast out some of the claimed that don't want to be here. Yeah I believe that would be the best. Tell those that want to leave that they can go now and let them depart into the forest.”

“I hope you realize I'm going to have to push you even more now.”

“You mean what if they were even more people? I don't believe that would happen.”

“Still, let's continue.”

“Ah well. Joseph I suppose maybe we could work out some form of deal. We could only take in so many though and eventually would have to just tell them no.”

“Okay Maria, now let's say that you'd reached the point where you truly couldn't take in anymore people. You can't work out any deals and yet more come. What would you do?”

A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “We'd tell them that they have to leave or that they're going to die here.”

“What if they only had death waiting for them if they returned to their home land?”

“We could maybe let them travel through the forest from one end to the other and try to seek out a new home on the other side. We couldn't do that for free though it would have to cost them. If they refused that offer though or couldn't pay we would kill them.”

“I see. Would you agree with this philosophy?”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yes I do. You can only do so much to help others before you start thinking of your family and yourself.”

“Thank you Maria for being honest with me.”

“Welcome! Joseph I want you to decide to stay here with us even after you achieve rank five. However, I'm not going to hold back when it comes to the truth. You need to understand what you're joining.”

“I appreciate your honesty Maria. I'm kind of relieved that you'd even consider such a situation. The fact that you believe your sisters would even free some of the claimed to allow others to take their spot is rather surprising.”

“Well there is no reason to force someone to do the job whenever there is someone that wants the job. Honestly if we didn't need the services the claimed provide we wouldn't even bother taking them.”

***********************************************************************************

“What's the matter Dan?” As Mina spoke she placed her right hand atop Dan's forehead engulfing the majority of it in her grasp as she did so. She then pulled upward ever so slightly so that Dan lifted his face out from between her massive breasts.

As Mina raised him up Dan turned his head to the side and gave her right breasts a gentle kiss before looking towards her face. He could see the concern in her eyes despite the kiss though. “Nothing much I've just been thinking of the detection method I'm working on.”

“Does it have you worried?”

“It's not the method that has me worried. I just can't shake the feeling that I should be working on it right now.”

A sigh escaped Mina as she pressed down on Dan's head forcing it back down between her breasts as she did so. “Now Dan I don't want to hear you talking like that. It's late and you need to sleep. You'll be able to think much more clearly with a good nights sleep. Then again.” Before continuing Mina reached down with her free hand and brushed her fingers against Dan's rear. “Perhaps you just have too much energy and I should help you release it.”

Only after Mina had finished speaking did she relax her grip on his head enough for Dan to raise up. As he did so he took in a deep breath of air. “Mina I don't think I could perform right now even if I drank a case of stamina potions. You're really hard to keep up with.”

It was impossible for Mina not to grin as she listened to Dan. Before speaking she quickly flexed her chest muscles causing her breasts to come in on either side of Dan's head and lightly squeeze it. “I don't know I bet I could get you up again.”

Dan gave a slight yelp as he felt Mina's hand slipping down between his legs and her fingers lightly brushing against his balls. “Well I wouldn't exactly mind you trying. I really will need a potion though if you want to.”

“Mm well while that might help with your body I'm not sure if I want you to thinking about work while we're coupling. Now if you think you can force those thoughts from your head. I got another round in me or three maybe more.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “Mina I'd need a stamina potion just to make it through one more round. I don't believe I have a second in me let alone a third or more.”

“Are you sure?” As she spoke Mina took hold of Dan's sides and lifted him up slightly. She then proceeded to slide him along her body until his face was level with hers and pressed her much larger lips against his engulfing a good portion of his face. “I believe we should try.”

***********************************************************************************

Mina was amazingly gentle for her massive size and strength. It would only take one careless moment on her part to end his life and Dan realized that. So he was often impressed and even amazed by how gentle she could be. That didn't change the fact that he was very sore at the moment. So sore that he found himself preparing a potion to numb the pain.

“Dan what happened to you?” As Joseph had entered the alchemy shop he'd thought it odd that Dan hadn't greeted him. He was quite surprised when he finally noticed Dan looking like he hadn't slept for the past three days.

“Huh? Oh hey Joseph just give me a second to get this ready and I'll be right with you.” A groan escaped Dan as he leaned against the table for support. “Mina decided to help me take my mind of work last night.”

“Mina did that to you?”

“It's not as bad as it looks.” A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “Mm I should probably start drinking a potion of stone skin before coupling with her.”

At first Joseph said nothing as he continued to inspect Dan. For a few moments he wasn't certain whether or not Dan was being serious but considering that Mina was over five hundred kilograms of muscle and exceptionally strong muscle at that it didn't seem too surprising when he thought about it. “So did she do all of that at once?”

“No! Oh heck no.” Even as he was speaking Dan quickly shook his head. “No. No. Mina's far too gentle to do this in just one round of loving making. Apparently though I gave her a sort of challenge last night.”

“How? Or do you mind me asking?”

“Not really. After coping with the fact that every last one of her sisters within several hundred meters could hear and then later smell what we'd been doing talking about it got pretty easy. I told Mina that I only hand at most one round in me. She took that as a personal challenge to get even more out of me.”

“So that's why you look like a rag doll that's had the stuffing shaken out of it.”

“I feel like one to. Mm well I knew there would be consequences when I started sipping those stamina potions.” As he spoke Dan removed the potion from the beaker and began to empty it into a cool flask. “Fortunately I just need to let this cool and I'll be feeling just fine. So what brings you here?”

“I'm meeting Maria here for breakfast but I over estimated how long the walk would take me.”

“You're getting used to it then. That's good to know.” As he spoke Dan gave the glass with the potion in it a few quick taps. Each time he pulled his finger back quickly noting the heat. “Come on and cool. I don't want to burn my tongue off.”

“So Dan what are you going to do when tonight rolls around and Mina wants another go?”

“Hope she has mercy on a poor man.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “You said your mind was on your work. What are you working on?”

“A new method to detect mages that instead of relying on energy coming from them makes use of their response to energy.”

“You mean like a fire gate?”

In response Dan gave a nod. “Yeah except this method shouldn't turn you to ash whenever you fail.”

“Hm well it's certainly worth a try. Do you believe you can develop a method in time though? I don't mean any offense but I doubt you're the first to try such a concept.”

“I believe so. I believe I mentioned that the girls have a library that they protect. Didn't I?”

“I heard it mentioned before.”

“Well you can trust me whenever I say their collection is quite extensive.”

“Hm. Just how did that come to be?”

“Well as you probably noticed most males here are magic users or use magic in a way. Even you and I make use of it though we're not exactly mages. Most of them took the time to research, study and write down their findings. That isn't the only way they extended their collection though. The girls tend to keep magic tomes and scrolls they retrieve from mages they either kill or claim for research.”

“I see and just how long have they been doing this?”

“As far as I know from the time of their first leader.”

For a moment Joseph was silent as he considered what Dan had told him. He knew the forest had been there longer then any of the surrounding kingdoms though he didn't know at what time this single leader existed. However, he was certain that it would have at least been one hundred years ago and that was plenty of time to build up an impressive collection. “They could indeed have quite a few secrets hidden in that library. I just hope they're being careful. Using the magic text of another can be quite dangerous after all.”

“I've worked with a few of them on opening up such text actually. Believe me they're plenty careful to not destroy the book and to insure that none of them are injured as well. They kind of have to be.”

“I take it there is more to them being careful then them not wanting injured or killed.”

“Yeah there is actually. Joseph if I were to come home injured one of the first things I would have to do is explain to Mina how I had gotten injured. If she felt I had taken some foolish risks she could take steps to insure I didn't take them again. This could range from changing the procedures I have to use to breaking my fingers to keep me from taking the risks again. Now the breaking my fingers is unlikely but I know she'd rather break my bones then see me killed.”

“Does that apply to everyone?”

“Indeed it does. To some extent you're more free then the wrest of us. You can use whatever method you want regardless of how dangerous it is and the girls can't actually force you to change your ways. I'm sure Maria would try to talk you into changing your methods but she couldn't resort to physical force. Of course, it's also nice to know Mina cares enough.”

“Dan what would happen if one of the brothers accused a sister of injuring him without cause? As if she'd simply used protecting him as an excuse to injure him.”

“That would be investigated very carefully Joseph. I mean very carefully from every side. If it was found that he had lied he would lose quite a bit of his position could be put under forced supervision, physically punished and possibly even killed for such a deception. Of course the sister supervising him after such a stunt wouldn't be the one that injured him rather one of the more trusted ones would watch him. If it was found that the reason she'd injured him wasn't protection she could be in deep trouble as well. The punishment could range from a beating, to forced service, to regression of her body to death.”

“What would cause it to deserve death?”

“If the sister only injured him for cruelties sake. A sister that has come to enjoy the suffering of her brothers just to see them suffer isn't desired. Especially considering how easy it would be for one of them to kill one of us. So they would most likely just do away with the danger. The same applies to the brother in a sense. If he's willing to lie about such a thing knowing that she could be killed for such an act he's clearly not trust worthy and thus of no use.”

“So Dan has Mina ever punished you for using unsafe methods?”

“Finally!” A sigh escaped Dan as he picked up the flask with the potion in it and quickly downed the contents. It would take a few minutes for it to take affect but at least it would take care of his pain. As he finished draining the flasks he lowered it and took in a deep breath. “Well she's never had to get physical with me but she has threatened to spank me until I can't set down.”

“There you are!”

As Maria's voice reached his ears Joseph was made to jump slightly. He was a bit surprised whenever he wasn't able to turn around. Rather he felt powerful arms wrap around him from behind and easily lift him into the air. He felt two soft mounds pressing into his back as he was held in a rather awkward though not unpleasant hug. “Good morning to you Maria.”

“Morning Joseph.”

“Well Dan maybe we can finish this conversation later. For now I think Maria and I are going to go eat.”
Chapter 8 by happiest_in_shadows
Author's Notes:

You might call this the end of book one. Several more to go!

“Sure thing Joseph.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she didn't bother setting Joseph down. Rather she turned around and secured one arm around his waste. She then used her free hand to open the door and step out. Her tail giving the door a quick smack to shut it as she walked towards the dining hall. “I can't wait until I get a bigger body so this is less awkward.”

***********************************************************************************

As Joseph walked along side of Maria he couldn't help but notice her tail. She hadn't quite wrapped it around him but it seemed to be regularly moving behind him. Every now and then he'd feel it brush against him and Maria would either speed up or slow down her walking pace. He couldn't be sure but she seemed to be insuring that she was walking beside of him rather then in front or behind.

“Joseph it should be safe for us to talk right now.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as a shiver ran up her spine. “I could smell it on you while we were eating. You're nervous and you're nervous right now. You have something that you want to tell me. At first I thought it was because you planned to ask me to walk with you back to your place but the scent hasn't faded in the least there is something else. The life bloom has started to bare fruit hasn't it?”

In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Yeah the first of the fruit are ready. Now Maria whenever you try it be careful not to eat the seed. I've seen you bite through apples and eat them whole so I know you're capable of it. The seeds are very important though.”

While Maria had suspected that the life bloom was ready she hadn't quite been ready for it to be confirmed. Now she felt a ripple run throughout her entire body as if she was about to pounce on her prey. Instead this translated into a strait leap upwards. “Yay!

Maria's sudden departure into the sky had caught Joseph off guard and he was made to jump backwards. As he looked up into the sky to find Maria though he was astounded by how far she'd jumped. Those muscles of her could propel her mass to quite a height. He didn't have a chance to move back any further though as he felt something take hold of his wrist the moment Maria was closed enough to the ground.

“Well let's go! I've been waiting for this for so long.” Instead of waiting for Joseph to respond Maria quickly placed a hand behind him. Her right leg swiped outward and quickly took Joseph's feet out from under him. Before he could begin to fall though her other arm found position under him and Maria lifted him into a cradle hold.

“Woe!” As Joseph found himself held in Maria's arm he felt as if his stomach had been left behind. Upon looking around he realized why that was as Maria had began to quickly sprint throughout the forest. He had no ideal of how fast they were moving but instinctively he wrapped his arms around Maria's shoulders. Even if he didn't know how fast they were going but he knew that they were going very fast.

“So how many of the fruit are ready? What does it taste like? You mentioned that you grew one before did you get to taste the fruit? What color is it? I bet that it taste really sweet. You mentioned I shouldn't eat the seeds but how big are they? Where are they at in the fruit?”

“Huh? What? Maria you're talking too fast!”

Instead of repeating herself Maria continued to dash along towards Joseph's shop. She didn't know how much Joseph was going to give her but she'd been wanting to try the life bloom for weeks on end. Now that he had told her there was some fruit ready for her to try she just couldn't restrain herself.

While Maria didn't respond to his questions Joseph didn't bother asking her again. She'd apparently already forgotten what she'd asked him to begin with. Rather he took a moment to look at her face and noted the wide grin that graced it. He could actually see her lips parted slightly and noted the teeth behind that smile. It didn't disturb him though he felt kind of guilty that he didn't have much for her to eat.

Walking to Joseph's workshop normally took a bit over half an hour. With her packing Joseph though it only took a few minutes for Maria to carry herself and him to the shop. As she neared it she actually had to remind herself to decrease her speed slowly or the sudden change in acceleration could harm Joseph. Despite her best efforts though she ended up giving Joseph a slight jolt as she brought herself to a stop.

While when Maria had began to run it felt like he'd left his stomach behind now Joseph felt as if it had slammed into him. The deceleration wasn't significant enough to cause him pain but it did leave him feeling dizzy. “Are we there yet?”

“You bet we are!” As she spoke Maria bent at the knees and lowered Joseph to the ground so that he was standing on his feet.

At first it seemed like he would be fine however the moment Maria's arms left him Joseph found himself to be very unstable on his feet. Instinctively he reached out for something to take hold of. He was relieved whenever he found something to grasp as his hands came to wrest upon Maria's shoulders and she took hold of his waist.

“Sorry about that. I guess I shook you up a little.”

In response Joseph gave his head a quick nod. “A little. Just help me over to the shop door okay?”

Instead of helping Joseph walk over Maria quickly lifted him into the air again. “Sorry I can't wait for you to hobble over.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he placed a hand on his forehead willing the world to stop spinning around him. Unfortunately the world didn't seem ready to oblige him as Maria packed him over to the door. “After all of that I wish I had a bit more of the fruit to let you try. We have to take this slowly though.”

Instead of responding right away Maria opened up the door and quickly stepped inside. An unknown scent slammed into Maria the moment she was past the door and her gaze turned towards the urn the life bloom was in. There was no move to place Joseph on the ground but rather Maria continued inside still packing him and gave the door behind her a swift kick slamming it shut. “Is it in the urn?”

“The plant? Yeah but the fruit is over there.” As he spoke Joseph elevated an arm indicating a desk with a sealed container on it.

“What were you doing?”

“I took some time to examine the juices and some of the fruit itself.”

For a moment there was a slight sting of disappointment for Maria. From the way Joseph had been talking she'd been certain she'd get to eat the fruit whole except for the seed. It didn't last long though. “Well can I try it now?”

“Just as soon as you set me down and let me get a slice for you.”

“A slice?!”

“Maria we need to take this slowly. You'll eat a small amount now and if you're okay in a little while you can eat more. It's a common enough practice whenever you're not sure about something.”

A low growl escaped Maria as she set Joseph down. “Well alright.”

“Anyway you don't know if you're going to like it or not.” This time when Maria set him down Joseph found himself able to stand on his own. He then quickly made his way over to the table and opened the container bringing out the slice of fruit.

Immediately Maria began to examine the fruit taking in a deep breath as it was presented. She could practically smell the sugars inside of the fruit so that she began to salivate. The scent was quite strong reminding her somewhat of fresh strawberries though not quite. The skin was a bright red while the inside was a soft shade of pink. “It smells good.”

“I hope you like the taste.” As he spoke Joseph handed the slice to Maria.

There was no hesitation on her part. The moment the slice was in her hand Maria tossed it into her mouth. She didn't bite down right away though but pressed it firmly against the roof of her mouth with her tongue squeezing out some of the juices and lightly sucking upon it. The flavor was undeniably sweet though it wasn't as much like strawberries as she thought it would be. Slowly she slipped some of it between her teeth and began to chew on it.

“Well what do you think?”

“Mm it taste wonderful but I don't know where to put the flavor.” Even as she was chewing on the fruit she could feel the healing affects. Her muscles were made to tighten and she felt the whole in her stomach grow smaller as her hunger was beaten back a bit. The hunger was still there to some extent but the amount that the one bit of fruit was closing of that emptiness was truly amazing.

“The flavor always reminded me of sugared black berries.”

“Huh? Really? I can't say I taste it.”

In response Joseph gave a slight shrug. “Given the partly mystic nature of the plant there might be something more to the taste. What do you think it taste like?”

Instead of responding right away Maria gave a swallow as she finished chewing the fruit. “It smells like strawberries to me sort of but I don't think it taste like them. I can really only say sweet.”

“Well what's the closest thing you'd liken the taste to?”

“Hm it's really hard to say. All I can really call it is sweet and fruity though I can't name the fruit.”

“Well maybe some more slices will help you think of something.”

“You mean I get another?”

“Sure you can have another. In about three hours.”

“Three hours?!”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he noted the expression on Maria's face. Clearly she wasn't used to being this careful. “If you don't have any signs of having an adverse reaction to the life bloom within that time we can assume it's safe for you to eat. Based on the lack of a reaction and the test done previously.”

“Why three hours though?”

“Well I've been witness to how resilient your species is again and again. If you weren't so durable I'd make you wait even longer.”

For a moment Maria was made to groan as she shook her head. “You've got to be kidding me.”

“Don't worry Maria this time of caution is a one time thing. I'll need you to tell me though if you start to feel strange.”

“Yeah I'll let you know.” A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Three hours before I can have another slice. I thought all the testing you did beforehand was to let you know whether or not the life bloom would harm me.”

“Maria when it comes to the life of another I don't believe one can be too careful. You're important to me and I'd hate to see you harmed whenever I could have been cautious and prevented it.”

“Yeah I know. I know but.” Once again Maria was made to sigh. “Ah well maybe I could put myself in the mind set of the stock. Do you have anything to help pass the time?”

“I do have a few things actually. I remembered Allen, Pera and a few of their friends playing marbles so I got curious what other games you might have. I asked around a bit and found a few of them that could be played indoors.”

“Oh. So we're going to play children's games to pass the time?”

“From the way the sisters I talked to responded I got the feeling that these games are played by adults as well.”

“They are. I just wanted to try and make you feel silly for a moment. Anyway what did you get?”

“I thought that you might want to try playing catcher.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as her lips parted into a toothy smile. Catcher was a game where a sister had to place her arms fully extended to her sides or behind her back. The brother would then launch a projectile of some type be it food, something valuable or just a point score. His objective was to get the projectile into a score basket while the sister tried to snatch it out of the air without destroying it. “You want to try playing that with me? Knowing full well how fast I am.”

“Ah well it sounded like a game you'd enjoy.”

“Just what do you have in mind for the projectile?”

“Sweet rolls.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “I see. So you chose something soft so that if I grabbed it too quickly or forcefully I would ruin my treat. I think you're underestimating my self control though.”

“So do you want to play?”

“Of course! There are baked sweets involved.”

It was impossible for Joseph not to grin as he stood up and made his way over to a cupboard. In truth he'd chosen sweet rolls because they had a relatively high shelf life. He wasn't going to tell Maria that as he gathered up the materials. The launcher was a sort of stationary slingshot that had been clearly set up to not damaged the projectile. The target for the brothers was any wide open surface in Joseph's case a bowl. While the sister could position herself behind or to the sides of the target but never in front.

“Normally our brothers are expected to make a launcher of their own.”

“Well I had a little help getting this all together.” As he spoke Joseph walked over to one of the tables and set his ammunition and launcher down. He then walked over to the opposing side and set down the bowl. The desk in use was kept very clean and he didn't risk doing work on it as it was the table he tended to dine at while at work for a very long time.

There was no way for Maria to stop grinning as she walked over to the target and stood behind it. “You know that you're not going to get one of those past me.”

“Oh we'll see about that.”

In response Maria gave a slight shrug and proceeded to place her arms behind her back. While she could have placed them on her sides she opted to go for a full handicap. “Joseph my body isn't the only thing that's fast. My eyes are as well.”

Instead of responding right away Joseph brought out one of the sweet rolls and tucked it into the launcher. He then began to pull back until he felt the cords had a good deal of tension. “You're just lucky I haven't played this before.” As he finished speaking Joseph released the launcher.

Nearly the moment Joseph let go of the launcher Maria realized he'd put too much tension into the cord. There was no way that it was going to land inside of the target zone. Instead of moving her arms from her back though she shifted to the side several centimeters and jumped into the air opening her mouth as she did so.

It had been clear to Joseph that he'd missed his target almost the moment that he had fired. He was quite surprised though by how quickly Maria seemed to move as she repositioned herself and jumped into the air. The fact that she didn't use her hands but rather used her mouth only made it more astounding so that he actually began clapping his hands together as she landed upon the ground.

As her feet returned to the ground Maria was a bit surprised to be greeted with clapping. A slight chuckle escaped her as she quickly chewed up the sweet roll and swallowed. “You weren't kidding when you said you hadn't played this before.”

“Yeah I figure I'll need a few tries at least to get my aiming down. At least this means that I'm not wasting any food though.”

“That I'm glad to help with.”

As Joseph reloaded the launcher he took a moment to increase the angle a bit. He knew that this would mean increased flight time and thus more time for Maria to snatch it but at the moment he was just learning to hit the target. “So whenever you seriously play this game with others who tends to provide the food?”

“It's generally the brothers tasks to provide the snacks. This is one of those times where we're allowed to break our diet a bit. Technically we're never suppose to do it but everyone knows that some release is necessary. Even my mother and Mina sneak some extra food at times.”

“Okay well we're doing it through a game how do they do it?”

“Well my mother will just eat a little extra once in a while. Mina on the other hand tends to snack a little whenever Dan isn't able to finish his food and it's something she particularly likes.”

As Maria finished speaking Joseph released the launcher. Once again he watched as the sweet roll flew through the air. This time it seemed like it might hit the target however once again Maria's mouth was there to capture it. “Are you even suppose to use your mouth?”

“There is nothing against it. Normally that would be too big of a handicap though.”

“Showing off your speed?”

“No. You're just really bad at this game.”

“Ah well thanks a lot.”

“Hey I'm not complaining.”

A snicker escaped Joseph as he looked towards the table and adjusted the launcher. This time he quickly fired fully realizing he'd miss his target. At least he'd miss the target he was suppose to aim for. This time he was trying to deprive Maria of her sweet roll by hitting the table. He didn't get to though as he noticed a sudden blur of motion and looked up at Maria who was already chewing.

“You need to aim a little higher then that.”

“You caught that!”

“Yep.”

“Well dang it. I guess I can't win by losing when it comes to you.”

“You need to put more tension in the launcher so you get more speed. You're never going to hit the target firing at those speeds.”

In response Joseph gave a nod. “Yeah that seems to be the case. Okay then.”

As Joseph began to ready another sweet roll Maria watched him tightening the strings. While she was suppose to be competing with him she couldn't resist offering some advice. “Further back that won't be fast enough.”

“Are you sure? This feels pretty taught to me.”

“Yeah you need to draw it further back.”

In response Joseph gave a nod as did as he was told. Instead of waiting for Maria to tell him to draw it further back again though he quickly released. The velocity difference between his first few times and this one was quite noticeable. As he raised his head to look at Maria though he wasn't too surprised to see her holding the sweet roll in her right hand a wide grin across her face.

“Dang it.”

“This is one game that I don't think you're going to be able to beat me at.”

“Well I still have ammo and I'm not giving up yet.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she smiled at Joseph. Well I sure am glad to hear that.”

***********************************************************************************

Alora gave a slight shrug as she looked at Markus. “It's your choice who you promote to rank one you don't have to ask me for permission.”

In response Markus gave a nod. “Well I didn't want to risk there being any confusion. So it's okay if I take Alex?”

“Sure. I'll find some accommodations for him to stay in sense he's rank one now.”

“Actually that won't be necessary.”

“You intend to leave already then?”

“With his level of ability? Of course not. However, I intend on having him live with me while I prepare him for the trip though the forest.”

“I guess the ideal of getting a reward when you make it out of the forest helped sway you.”

“It isn't just that. I believe that he'll be able to contribute to our departure once I've trained him a bit. He already has several useful skills.”

Once again Alora gave a slight shrug. “Just keep in mind if we have to save the two of you then you're both coming back here as claimed again.”

“I'm aware of that.”

After giving a slight nod Alora turned away from Markus and glanced towards one of the claimed housings. “Okay I'm sure all of you were listening to that just now. Alex come on and get yourself out here. Feel free to bring anything that you might have acquired or earned while working as a claimed.”

As the last words left Alora's lips Alex seemed to become alive on an entirely new level. He nearly tripped over his own feet as he turned away from the wall and quickly dashed towards his bed. Lowering himself to the ground he began to gather his few belongings from a dressed beside of it. Even as he was gathering his things he could tell that the other claimed were watching him. He didn't worry about their gazes though. He was a rank one now and they knew that assaulting him would get them in serous trouble if not killed.

Upon hearing Alex moving about Alora turned back to Markus. “I'll need to speak to Alex to see if he agrees to such arrangements. You do realize that now that you've had him promoted you can't withdraw that promotion. He is under no obligation to actually do as you ask.”

“Yeah I realize that. It's one of the reasons I chose him. I needed someone that struck me as exceptionally honest.”

It had taken Alex less then three minutes to gather his belongings. As he sprinted out the door of the compound he quickly made his way over to Alora and Markus. As he neared them though he slowed down and turned his attention towards Alora. She hadn't been a bad keeper though she didn't seem to have any love for the claimed. She rewarded good work though and punished anyone that displeased her. He often felt she was quicker to punish then reward though. “Now what?”

“Normally I would look into finding you a place away from the market to live in. However, it seems Markus wishes for you to move in with him. Do you agree to this?”

In response Alex gave a quick nod. “Yes we talked about that before hand.”

“Very well then. Alex this is a bit unusual in most regards. You might be free and you're allowed to stay as long as you restrict your movement to nothing beyond the market. However, you're still going to have to earn your keep. The way you do that is up to you.”

Before Alex could respond Markus spoke up. “Don't worry Alex I'll teach you what you need to know.”

***********************************************************************************

As Durin looked into the darkness he gave a sigh. He could hear much of the forest's wild life around them but it wasn't what he heard that made it hard to relax. It was what he couldn't hear. Giving a slight shrug the dwarf made it back over to the heavy crates laying on the ground. The donkeys had seemed quite relieved to get the materials off their backs.

“Hello Durin.”

In response to the voice Durin glanced up towards the sky. He actually felt relaxed whenever he saw the smiling face looking back at him. “Kiara it's good to see you.”

“Durin we've done this many times before. Why are you so nervous now?”

“Ah well you see. I'm worried that we might have been followed this time. They're some people that have been trying to find out exactly what my sources are. I normally manage to lose them before journeying into the forest but this one has proven hard to shake. To the point that I'm worried I might have failed.”

“That isn't good.” As she finished speaking Kiara glanced off into the forest. She could tell by the sent what direction Durin and his small band had come from. “You're going to be here until morning am I right?”

“Aye, we have no intention of traveling through these woods at night.”

“Then make yourself comfortable I'll be back before sun up. I'm going to go and see whether or not your suspicions hold true. It wouldn't do us any good if my peoples' and your relationship was discovered.”

“It would make my life much harder that's for certain.” Durin kept his eyes focused on Kiara until she pushed off the branch. The thick timber creaked in protest to the sudden force exerted against it as Kiara shot through the air. He didn't bother turning to see where she'd gone he knew she was moving too fast for that. He heard motion all around him telling that Kiara hadn't been alone either.

Soulaxe had been with Durin before on these journeys into the forest. The first time he'd actually been quite concerned and wouldn't have come if Durin's clan wasn't on such good terms with his own. It still seemed strange as he watched the beast girl running off into the forest and he stepped forward to speak to his employer. “So when you were first captured by them did you ever expect that you'd be trading with them?”

“Ah well. At first I thought I was going to end up a part of dinner. I was quite surprised whenever I learned that I was going to be put to work instead of killed.” A slight chuckle escaped Durin as he shook his head. “I was especially surprised by how light the work was.”

“I still have trouble believing you when it comes to what they had you doing. I mean seriously. Having you work on waste disposal and clean up?”

“I was a might offended I must say.”

As a species Dwarfs were naturally inclined to digging through stone and working in confined spaces. Heavy labor meant nearly nothing to them. Unskilled work like waste management though was seen as something of an insult depending on the dwarfs temperament. “Yet here you are now.”

“Well I might not have liked the work they'd stuck me to doing but at least they were honorable about it. I'd say the worse part of the entire ordeal though was having to listen to the humans and especially those damn elfs. Damn pointy eared bastards are lucky they didn't need strong labor.”

Instead of commenting right away Soulaxe walked over to the containers Durin had looked at before. He then carefully wedged the but of his ax below the crates top and pushed it open. Several iron ingots wrested within the container which he bent down to examine. “It's amazing the value they put on these.”

When dealing with the beast girls Durin tried to be fair. He had left them on good circumstances actually having been given the chance to be a rank five. However, he'd chosen to return to his home and clan. Now as he traded with them he had a tough balancing act to do. The metals he tended to bring to trade he didn't see as exceptionally valuable. However, the risks he took in traveling to the forest and the difficulties of the journey in general caused him to charge an increased rate. “Salt can be more valuable to gold in the right situation. So don't be surprised.”

A shiver ran up Soulaxe's back as he looked at Durin. “I wish you wouldn't put it like that.”

“Clan Brin traded salt for gold for an equal ratio of weight with the Goren kingdom whenever it found itself land locked and unable to obtain any of its own. This trade afforded the clan such a boon in profits that they were able to obtain a position of prominence they still hold to this day and all because they knew of a trade rout through the mountains no one else knew of.”

“So do you see yourself as doing the same? You're trading with the hated enemy of all those around them by using a secret trade rout?”

“I'd say the spirit is the same though the scale is much smaller.”

Kiara had been around whenever Durin had been first claimed though she hadn't been a guardian at the time. She'd been too young. The dwarf was quite well known as he was one of the few claimed that had achieved rank five. It was quite impressive but also a disappointment as he had chosen to return to his own people instead of stay with them. In the long run it had worked out though as he was now a regular trading partner.

Stostine had been hired to follow the dwarf and find out exactly where he was getting his supplies. Her employer was something of a business rival that didn't appreciate the prices Durin had been charging as it had forced him to lower his own. She had been quite dismayed whenever she'd seen the dwarf traveling into the forest but professional pride had brought her to follow. Now she was questioning that decision as she moved through the darkness.

She'd been caught off guard whenever she heard Durin talking about being followed feeling confident that she'd evaded his notice the entire time. Now those beast were roaming through the darkness looking for her. She'd seen them moving so she knew she couldn't out run them so she chose to move carefully and silently hoping to avoid detection in the darkness.

The night seemed to embrace Kiara. She didn't have a unique mutation like some of her sisters though indeed she'd never underwent the long sleep. However, she'd lived in the night for so long that it had become a friend to her. She could recognize the sound of every creature native to the forest that roamed the night. She could also tell whenever something wasn't part of this regular night atmosphere and found herself following such a thing.

It had been the intent of her employer to approach Durin's suppliers and make them a better offer. As Stostine moved throughout the forest she knew this wouldn't be happening though. Rather this information would be used to ruin Durin most likely. Stostine knew this but it was the price he would pay for making such an agreement. At least she believed Durin would be the one paying a price.

“Why hello there little elf what brings you here.”

Instinctively Stostine's hand went to her dagger as she heard the voice. As her fingers moved to curl around the weapon she spun around and pushed off the ground meaning to use the force of her legs and her arms to drive the weapon into the speaker. She didn't get to though as something very powerful clamped down upon her shoulder stopping her cold.

Making use of her greater reach Kiara had caught the elf before she could stab her. She then gave the woman a quick shove sending her flying backwards a good ten yards. There was actually enough force to send her even further back but she met with a tree before that could happen.

A slight yelp escaped Stostine as she slammed into the tree though the impact was reduced by her protective armor. The enchanted leather did wonders for soaking damage. As she raised her head though she found an absolutely massive figure standing before her at three meters tall. The creature's powerful build and massive claws were clearly visible to Stostine's eyes.

“You must have been the one that was following Durin.” As she spoke Kiara took a few steps towards Stostine. While normally when she or her sisters walked they moved to diminish the sound of their foot steps this time Kiara didn't. She let her full weight meet the ground better illustrating her size.

This was pretty much the worse case scenario Stostine could imagine. Not only was she confronted with one of the beast girls she appeared to know Durin. “So just what type of business do you have with the dwarf?”

“He sells us goods we have difficulty finding isn't that obvious? We provide him with materials that have value in the world outside our forest in exchange. Now I wonder just what your business is with him.”

“I'll be damned before I'll tell you!” As she spoke Stostine reached into her side pocket and retrieved a small capsule. Moving as quickly as she could she threw the capsule against the ground shattering it and releasing a massive cloud of toxic gas.

Even before the cloud reached her in great concentration Kiara could smell the poison. Instead of shying away from the cloud she walked into it while relying on her hearing to keep track of Stostine. “You really think toxins this weak are enough to affect one of us? You really have no ideal why this is our forest and all within our prey should be choose them to be.”

Stostine had expected the beast to evade the cloud not walk into it. As Kiara seemed entirely unharmed though she found herself wondering if that was the best ideal. “What is Durin bringing you that is so valuable?”

“Like I said things that are hard to find in the forest.”

“You know they are those that would be willing. Ah!” Kiara couldn't help herself as she felt something clamp down on the back of her throat and lift her into the air.

A slight chuckle escaped Kiara as she held the elf woman in the air. “Others that would make us a better deal? Sorry but trust is a major issue here. We just can't have suppliers we don't know. Now as you're a trespasser and tried to kill me I suppose I should just rip your head off or crush your throat.”

Before Stostine could respond she felt Kiara's grip tightening on her throat. Those powerful fingers easily sunk into her neck and cut off her air. It didn't stop there though as she felt the pain increasing as Kiara's hand threatened not to just choke her to death but literally crush her throat.

Kiara could easily feel the muscles in Stostine's neck giving and could even feel her spine responding. Before she popped the elf woman's head off though she relaxed her grip. “Then again maybe Durin will have something to say on the matter. I doubt you have anything to offer me or my kind that we'd care to have but maybe you have something for him.”

There was no way for Stostine to respond. While Kiara had relaxed her grip she was still in horrific pain and felt that her neck had been badly bruised. As she struggled to regain the breath she lost while Kiara had been squeezing her throat all she could do was groan in pain.

Durin had inspected their cargo before it had even been purchased. He'd inspected it before they left his shop and upon their arrival. He still felt the need to look over the product though before finalizing delivery. This wasn't due to fear but rather a pride in service and an unwillingness to compromise. As he was beginning to examine the cargo again his attention was drawn to the forest.

“Hey Durin do you recognize this little treat?”

Instead of immediately responding Durin took a few steps closer to Kiara noting the elf she was holding. “I recognize that she's highly skilled and probably cost a lot so I would like to ask her some questions. Please don't pull her head off.”

“Ah Durin. You know just how to talk. If you'd said no first thing I would have done is pop her head off her shoulders.”

“I figured that was your intent.”

A slight chuckle escaped Kiara as she released the elf and let her fall to the ground. Stostine didn't stand though but immediately fell to the ground gasping. “You might want to give her a few.”

In response Durin gave a nod and walked over to the elf. “Now las you seem to be in a bit of trouble here. I don't know who paid you to follow me but you've followed me into unfriendly territory. I would like to know who's so curious about my merchandise to send someone as skilled as you to chase me.”

A sharp gasp escaped Stostine as she looked at Durin. “Like....I'd tell..you.”

“I think you may want to unless you want Kiara here to pull off your head or worse.” Instead of continuing to speak to the elf Durin looked up at Kiara. “You won't be letting her leave the forest will you?”

“Of course not. I don't care what she tells you nothing she says could be that valuable. If she has some useful information for you though I might be willing to spare her life and take her as one of the claimed.”

“Ah thanks Kiara. I was worried nothing could be done to spare her life.” Once again Durin looked down at Stostine. “Well there you have it. If you have some information to share I'd love to have it and you can go on living albeit in a different setting that or you can just die here.”

Before Stostine could speak up Kiara chose to. “And be eaten.”

For a moment Durin was made to grimace and looked up at Kiara. “I suppose there is that to.”

A slight chuckle escaped Kiara and she turned to the trees. “Come on out sisters.”

In response to Kiara several figures quickly leaped from the trees. In total they were six sisters that joined Kiara though none of them were quite as big as she was. They were all younger sisters that had yet to reach the title of guardian or the body size. Each of them also had a pack of some kind on their backs.

While the ladies made their presence known Durin turned towards the elf. “We can't be out here all night. You're going to have to make your decision to tell me what you know or die here. If you do you'll at least go on existing and there is a chance you could live once again.”

By now Stostine had recovered enough to talk and move. “Okay, I'll.” The moment the second word left her lips Stostine pressed off the ground and went to take hold of one of her daggers. It was clear that the beasts valued Durin and with him so close she had a means of escape. However, as she rose to her feet she felt a very sharp pain in her shoulder.

Kiara had only given Stostine a light tap in the shoulder. At least it had been light for Kiara. She felt confident that she had dislocated Stostine's shoulder with the tap though. “Wow you're really slow in many ways.”

Instead of crying out Stostine held her lips shut as she fell to the ground and glared up at Kiara. She didn't think that the beast could move that fast. She then looked up at Durin. “Well do you still want to know what I have to say?”

“You had better have more then false claims now.”

While Stostine felt it was bad business to talk about her employers business she felt it was even worse for business to be pulled apart. “Check my right boot.”

Instead of waiting for Durin to comment Kiara reached down and took hold of Stostine's leg. She then easily lifted the woman off the ground and began to inspect her right boot. It didn't take much filling around to find a small compartment which she busied opening.

Stostine was in pain from the injuries to her neck and shoulder. However, she'd learned how to work through pain. So she now found herself enduring Kiara's treatment without complaint. “Sealamen hired me to track you and find out where you were getting some of your merchandise.”

“Hey Durin I found something.” As she spoke Kiara popped open the small compartment and brought out a small coin. “What is this?”

“Let me see that Kiara.”

“Sure.”

As Kiara handed the coin to him Durin gave a nod. “It's a promissory note and a very expensive one.”

“Okay what is that exactly?”

“It basically says that someone is due a certain amount of money upon rendering a service. This one has Sealamen's emblem on it as well.”

“It could be a fake.”

Instead of arguing Durin took a moment to inspect the coin. He'd seen such coins from Sealamen before hand but never such a valuable one. “I don't believe it is. Whether or not he hired this elf here to spy on me I can't say for sure but this proves that he did hire her.”

“Mm I don't know if that's good enough to keep me from eating her.”

In response Durin gave a nod and walked closer to Stostine who Kiara was still holding upside down. “Tell me everything that you know.”

***********************************************************************************

“Well since Alex was promoted I have been one claimed short.” As Alora spoke she looked at Stostine. She was a bit surprised whenever Kiara had brought the elf in especially when she noted that it was female. “So she has training in killing?”

“Yeah, it's stealthy as well.”

“Why didn't you just kill her Kiara? With skills like that she could be a threat to our brothers.”

“Well she was able to give Durin some valuable information. We sort of worked out a deal that I wouldn't kill her if she was able to do so.”

A sigh escaped Alora as she shook her head. “I hope that Durin is going to do us a favor in return for this.”

“I'm certain that he will.”

“Okay I'll take her. Do me a favor and make sure all the guardians know about her. What kind of weapons did she have on hand?”

“Quite a few daggers I think a few of them were enchanted. I had them taken off to be inspected before they were melted down.”

In response Alora gave a nod and walked over to Stostine. “What's your name elf?”

“Stostine.”

“Well Stostine. Here's how things are going to go. You're now under my supervision whatever I say goes. You'll work when I tell you to, where I tell you to and on what I tell you to, eat when I tell you to, where I tell you to and what I tell you to and sleep when I tell you to and where I tell you to. If you refuse to work you won't be eating and if you wait too long to eat then you're just going to starve to death.

You're now what we refer to as the claimed or in other words our property. You will not damage any other pieces of our property except in self defense. If you do you'll be punished. The punishment will depend on my mood and what you've done. All other claimed count as our property.

You'll will make no aggressive actions towards me, any of my sisters, any of my brothers or anyone else above the rank of a claimed. I don't care what they do to you. If you harm any of our males or any of our youth you'll be killed or worse. If you're stupid enough to attack one of my adult sisters well. I'll leave it up to them what they want to do to you. A bit of warning. Very few of my sisters are as considerate as Kiara.”

As Stostine listened to Alora she kept her eyes locked on hers. She knew the massive beast could rip her apart at any moment but she refused to look away. Even if she was at a disadvantage she wasn't going to just bow.

“Now. If you obey and do as you're told you'll be well fed, well sheltered and well taken care of. Should you become ill you are to tell me so. After all I like to take good care of my property and hate it whenever your kind breaks early. Should you manage to prove yourself to me you might even earn your life back.”

While everything up until this point had been expected Stostine was actually quite surprised to hear that last part. So surprised that she couldn't keep her lips closed. “What?”

“If you behave yourself and earn enough of our respect your life would be restored to you. Don't get your hopes up though. I'm sure after you get to know your fellow claimed you'll realize how very rare that is.”

While Stostine had planned to try to escape and still did this news was surprising. “What happens if I do earn your respect?”

“You're allowed to live amongst us and do as you desire. Naturally you still have to work but what you work on is up to you. Why are you asking about that though? You're a new arrival and you attacked Kiara here.” A slight giggle escaped Alora as she shook her head. “You have a long way to go little elf and there are plenty of ways to mess up.”

***********************************************************************************

“I believe that we've waited long enough. I know that it's been a relatively short while since Joseph's arrival but I feel that he should be given the choice to truly join our society or leave. Carter you worked with Joseph to an extent as I recall. What do you believe?”

“I've heard very positive things about him. His secrecy shows that he doesn't entirely trust us though. Of course, we haven't shown him complete trust either. The only part of our community he's been allowed to visit is the market place after all. However, from the materials he's gathered from Dan and the help he requested from Carter I feel we can assume that he's resumed his own studies. I believe that's showing us a good deal of trust.”

To this William gave a quick nod. “Our sisters and mates also seem to put a good deal of trust in him. After all Flora has voiced nothing against her daughter making regular visits to his work shop. The fact that Flora puts such trust in him is a good sign.”

After giving a slight nod Carter spoke up. “He also helped us all by providing the masks to our sisters. I still can't believe we never thought to provide them with one. It would have been so simple and saved so much trouble.”

While Dan had been silent now he chose to spoke up. “Yeah I'm still kind of ashamed about that one. When I first heard what he had done I felt so stupid. Mina is my mate and I never thought to provide her with a masks.”

Now Carter spoke up. “You're not the only one that feels they played the part of a fool in regards to that little detail. He also showed interest in helping us to find the escapees and those involved in the act. While his theory has yet to be proven the plausibility of it alone is worth noting.”

Now Mirin chose to voice his thoughts. As the highest ranking brother there his words carried the most weight and thus he felt the need to keep the most to himself. “I don't like his attitude towards the claimed. He's far too kind to them. As while he has been trying to help discover the mage one of his reasons was to lighten the punishment of the escapees.”

Dan didn't have the same rank as Mirin but he couldn't just stay quiet. “I don't see why he should be faulted for having strong morals. After all, standing up to someone as massive as my Mina and telling her you don't approve of her methods takes some nerve. Even if she happens to be your friend.”

To this Mirin gave a nod. “That is true and brings me to another point. I believe that he has seen enough of our culture to understand much of it. If he has only been able to tolerate it because the dangers of leaving on his own then he will most likely choose to leave now. However, I will agree that he has done enough to become a member of our community.”

Dan was actually grinning as he heard this. Mirin's word wasn't the final say in the matter but it went a long way towards that goal. A great many of the brothers would have to disagree with him in order to override the decision. “Well then. Shall we make all our standings official and see what the out come is?”

***********************************************************************************

Maria didn't know if she was excited or anxious as she walked towards Joseph's current residence. She had felt confident that Joseph would achieve rank five in due time. However, she hadn't been prepared for it to happen so soon. He had made a very good impression in how he'd conducted himself during the escape though and getting to know the sisters. Getting to know Dan also seemed to have helped matters a great deal.

Now Maria had to face the very real danger that Joseph might choose to leave. She wanted to rationalize it out and tell herself that he wouldn't just leave his work behind. However, she also knew he had the seeds of the life bloom now. Even if he destroyed the mature plant growing a new one from them would be a small matter. So there wasn't that to tie him to this place anymore. The only thing that would keep him there was his desire to become part of their community if there was one, his feelings for the friends he'd made and maybe his feelings for her.

Joseph had grown use to the way the sisters tended to move about. Their speed was just so great that keeping track of them seemed a futile effort. So he was more then a little surprised whenever he looked out his window and noted Maria walking towards him at a humans' pace. She only walked that way whenever she was with a human. “Maria what brings you here?”

Upon hearing Joseph's voice Maria grew still. She really hated the ideal of saying good bye to a friend and Joseph had become a very good friend indeed. After a moment of standing still though she willed herself to move forward. “I. I have something important to tell you Joseph.”

It was clear to Joseph that Maria was concerned and it was impossible to keep himself from thinking of the what ifs. Had something happened to compromise the community and he was about to be forced into a less desirable job? Had they somehow learned of his work and decided to take it by force? Had one of his friends been injured somehow? “Maria what's wrong?”

“Nothing. Nothing is wrong.”

Instead of continuing to speak to her Joseph moved away from the window and made his way to the door. As he exited the building he ran in a light trot towards Maria who once again had quit moving forward. “Maria, you seem to be worried about something. I mean very worried.”

“Well. Joseph.” It hadn't been Maria's intent to act so nervous however she couldn't help her own fears creeping in. “I'm scared that I might be about to lose you?”

“What? Did I do something wrong? Oh god. Did I get you in trouble Maria? Did you grow more then you were allowed to? They're not going to punish you again are they? If they are please take me to your sisters it was my experiment after all you shouldn't be punished for it.”

Despite the situation Maria couldn't help but grin. The ideal that Joseph was willing to be punished in her place was quite a delight. “Joseph it's nothing bad. I haven't grown any either. I came here to tell you that. Well you're going to be promoted to rank five in three days.”

“What?”

“In three days you'll be a rank five. That means you're going to be able to decide whether or not you want to stay. If you decide you don't want to stay we'll escort you to the edge of the forest. If you do decide you want to stay you'll be welcome into our community completely. You'll be one of us. Joseph, I would like it if you stay.”

“Maria. I. Wow this is rather unexpected. I take it these three days are a time to decide.”

“Yes.”

Instead of speaking right away Joseph reached out and placed his hands on Maria's shoulders and looked into her eyes. “Maria I can honestly say I didn't expect this day to come so soon. I expected to be here at least five years before I achieved such a rank.”

“You've really impressed a lot of us Joseph.”

“Maria I don't have any intention of leaving.”

“Really?!”

“Yes really.”

“How can you be certain already though?”

“Well I sort of made up my mind a while back. Actually, I think I really decided whenever we talked about people coming here. This is a nice place to live and I'm happy to use my knowledge to help you and your sisters.”

Instead of words coming out of her mouth Maria let loose an excited yelp and quickly moved towards Joseph. Before he had time to even step backwards her arms had wrapped around him and she easily lifted him off the ground as she hugged him. “Thank you!”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he placed his hand atop Maria's head while she held him aloft. “It's no problem. Besides I'd be a fool to leave everything I have here.”

“Oh if you think the shop and home you have now are nice wait until you see what you're moving in to! One of the reasons for the three day wait is also to examine vacant homes in the main village. Once we've got a list of them and any repairs that needed to be made we'll show you around and let you pick one. Don't worry about having to walk a long time to your shop either. There is a much nicer research center near the main village for you to use. I'm certain they'll be able to set you up with your own lab there.”

“Um Maria I wasn't talking about the shop or home though that does sound nice.”

“You mean you were talking about me?”

“Ye.” Joseph didn't get to finish as Maria suddenly released her hold on him. Before he knew what was happening he felt himself once again being embraced by Maria but this time something covered his lips. It was only a few moments later that it was Maria's lips.

Maria wasn't certain what had come over her. All of a sudden though kissing Joseph seemed very important to her and she couldn't help her body's reaction. As she kissed Joseph she pulled him against herself more firmly. He was soft. Even by the standards she judged most humans. He had been going on walks with her and trying to tone up but his time in his workshop had cost him some of that progress it seemed.

This was the first time Maria had kissed him like this. As she kissed him Joseph couldn't help but notice certain features about her body as she pressed it against him. Though three features really struck him the first was the feeling of her lips against his own. They were soft and warm not exceptionally full but far from thin as well. They seemed to bind to his lips and make it impossible for him to pull away.

There was a slight belly to Joseph's waste line. Once again this wasn't much of a surprise to Maria she had been bringing him his meals after all. It was odd. There was a desire to help Joseph strengthen his body. After all no sister would let her mate endanger his health by being out of shape. She wasn't certain she wanted him to lose his slight tummy though she didn't want it to grow either. Her thoughts were taken from that though as she felt his arms around her and how light his hold was.

The fur of Maria's face wasn't quite what Joseph had expected it to be. It was far softer then he would have guessed. He had known her fur was relatively short and now it was apparent how short it was. It felt to Joseph that someone was kissing him while wearing a perfectly formed mask. Except this mask was far softer and gentler then any material he'd encountered before far surpassing silk. It made him wonder.

As she held Joseph Maria found herself listening to the sound of his heart. It was a healthy heart and it had began beating faster since she'd embraced Joseph. She liked the sound of it beating. While the sound of an unfit heart in one you cared for was a horror the sound of a healthy one was a delight.

At last Joseph found himself noting Maria's breast. While he'd felt them pressed against him before this time was different. Apparently Maria was somewhat stimulated and he could feel her nipples poking him. Apparently her fur was no where near thick enough to conceal whenever she was excited.

It actually surprised Maria how long she made Joseph hold the kiss and she only relented whenever she heard him having trouble taking breath. As she parted their lips she gave a slight giggle when he took in a deep breath of air. “Thank you Joseph but. Joseph I have to ask you something.”

“What is it Maria?”

Before continuing Maria released her hold on Joseph and took a few steps away from him. “Joseph do you find me attractive?”

“Huh?”

“I want to know if you find me attractive. I know that not every human can well. I know that our bodies aren't pleasing to every human. So I want to know do you find me attractive?”

“Maria I.”

“Don't answer yet Joseph. I want you to look at me and decide whether or not you find me attractive. You don't have to answer right away. I know that my body doesn't appeal to all humans. We look strange in your eyes and I understand that. I don't have the smooth skin of one of your females, I have claws and fangs, my body will grow if it's permitted and they're so many other things.”

“Do you find me attractive Maria?”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yes, I'm attracted to your personality and who you are first and foremost. Your body is delicate and easy to break but all males are. Joseph, I do find you to be a little too soft though and if you do become my mate I want you to know I'm going to work to fix that.”

“You mean like Mina did for Dan?”

In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yes. I want you to understand that as well. If we're going to be more then just friends I can't let you keep an unfit body.”

“Maria your body feels strange to me I admit that. I noticed whenever we kissed just now how the fur on your face feels. It's strange but I can't say it bothers me. I don't know how that'll change in time. You should know that I'm physically attracted to you though.” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he touched his nose. “I've had your sense of smell mentioned to me several times.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she took a few steps towards Joseph. “That is true but I really wanted to know what you thought about it. My body doesn't disgust you?”

“Of course not Maria!”

“Thank you.”

“Now Maria, about this exercise routine you have planned.”

“Oh don't worry I know when human bodies are reaching their limit. I can tell by how you smell, your heart beat and breathing. I won't push you too hard.” Before continuing Maria once again moved towards Joseph and pressed her lips against his. “You know. You and I are going to have to experiment some to insure that a body like mine can truly be beautiful to you.”

End Book 1
Chapter 9 by happiest_in_shadows

Joseph took a moment to tap the floor lightly and note the solid stone beneath his feet. His original home had a wooden floor. He then made his way over to the walls and pressed his hand against them. Once again he noted the use of stone and immediately felt certain one of the sisters had cut the stone. The outside of the house had a wood covering so he had thought that the walls were made of wood so the stone had surprised him. He then glanced up at the roof and was a bit surprised by its construction as well.


 


After a moment of examining the walls Joseph found his attention turning towards the furnishing. He wasn't surprised to see that animal skins had been used in their making but the quality was quite obvious.


 


“Is something wrong Joseph?”


 


In response Joseph gave his head a quick shake. “Ah no Maria. This building just caught me off guard. The door way seems rather large I've got to say.”


 


In response Maria gave a nod. “You thought it would be like the temporary housing we provided you with didn't you?”


 


“Well yeah.”


 


“Na. We can do better then that we just choose not to for temporary housing. It's encase one of the claimed does something foolish and destroys the structure. It's not very hard to rebuild. Now these buildings are meant to last they were also designed for greater protection encase something happens. It became a necessity.”


 


“Necessity? How come?”


 


“Joseph let's say that two sisters got into a brawl for one reason or the other and one of them was sent flying into the roof of your old house. Do you believe that it would have been able to stop them from falling through?”


 


“Ah I see. So encase a fight starts outside my door these walls are meant to keep the fight from spilling into my home.”


 


“Exactly. The market is a relatively confined space so the keepers can watch pretty much everything that goes on there so it isn't needed. They're a bit more spread out here though so things can happen and they don't always get there in time. So we made these buildings extra sturdy to protect our brothers.”


 


“Why the high roofs though?”


 


“Ah well this is to accommodate sisters up to and even slightly larger then keeper status encase the brother living there takes one as a mate. I know things may seem over sized but we tried to build them to accommodate both parties. Well that and encase you have company in general. How would you feel inviting someone like my mom or Mina over knowing that if they stood up they'd bang their head on your roof and possibly damage it?”


 


“Okay you have a point. It's just that this building is well quite a bit more modern then I expected it to be.”


 


“I swear I wonder what you humans have been doing for the last three hundred years.” As she spoke Maria gave her head a slight shake. “We've been building houses like this ever since we were united under one. Yet every human we bring here seems to believe that they're extremely modern or even beyond that.”


 


“Well in all fairness you have had access to a wealth of magic information that we're still struggling to catch up to.”


 


“That they're struggling to catch up to.” Before continuing Maria walked over to Joseph so that she was standing right in front of him. “Remember that you're one of us now.”


 


“That's going to take some getting used to.”


 


“I don't believe it will.”


 


For a moment Joseph said nothing but continued to look into Maria's eyes. “So will you be coming by to visit often?”


 


“Of course! Actually, I thought I would take you to where you'll be conducting your research from now on every morning. You really don't want to walk there.”


 


“I imagine you're right. It's going to be strange not going to see Dan whenever I need something though.”


 


“You two seemed to really hit it off. Ah well I'm sure you two can talk while at the dining hall.”


 


“True though I don't know how long it'll take me to get used to such a unique form of transit.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria. “Okay now that you might have to adapt to but don't worry we don't mind helping you all around. Just whenever you want to go somewhere call out your destination, ask nicely and someone that's heading in that direction or doesn't have anything else do to will give you a lift.”


 


“Why don't you use some form of pack animal?”


 


“They're too slow and not worth the upkeep! Plus they're liable to be eaten if they're a particularly tasty animal.”


 


“Now hearing that is still strange. Anyway, mentioning food I think I'll go check out the kitchen. Which way would it be?”


 


“Follow me. We already stored some provisions for you but let me know if there is anything you don't like. I'll be happy to take care of it.”


 


“I imagine you would be.”


 


“It looks like we'll have to wait on that it seems you have some company.”


 


Before Joseph could respond the sound of the front door being knocked on got his attention. Realizing that Maria had heard their arrival in advance he quickly made his way over to it. “This feels kind of awkward.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she waved her hand at Joseph. “Go ahead and open it. You're a brother now so we can't just poke our heads in whenever we want.”


 


“That's nice to know.” Upon finishing speaking Joseph quickly opened the door to find that it was filled by three ladies though their heads didn't come near the top of the doorway. He recognized them as guardian level sisters immediately.


 


“Hi neighbor.”


 


Immediately Joseph took note of the one that had been first to speak. While her stature was on par with most of the other guardians he immediately noted that her legs and arms seemed to be slightly more muscled though no where near Mina's level. Her fur was also colored such that she had a black strip going vertically through both of her eyes. “Um hello and pleased to meet you.”


 


“The name is Kesara may I come in?”


 


“Oh sure. I'm Joseph.” As he spoke Joseph stepped to the side and allowed the three to enter. The other two were currently being quiet and as he looked at them he noted they seemed somewhat smaller then Kesara. He also noted the two were each holding a rather large package.


 


Maria couldn't help but note the packages the two were packing and couldn't help but speak up. “Oh Joseph can I stay?”


 


“Sure you don't even need to ask but stay for what?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Kesara before she spoke up. “It's something of a greeting. Whenever we get a new neighbor we go over to their place and make a large meal as way of greeting. It gives us an excuse to break our diets for one meal and shows you're welcome.”


 


Now Maria spoke up. “If they only bring over a very small meal that means you're not all that welcome. If no one even brings food that means they want you gone. I think it means more to us sisters then the brothers though.”


 


“Ah I see. Damn, I wish I had known about this. I would have retrieved some food of my own.”


 


“Na you're the new neighbor it's our job to treat you this time. Well if you're welcome. The two with me are Esana and Tesa.”


 


“I'm glad to meet the two of you. So exactly what am I suppose to do? As you're providing the food I imagine I should at least help with the cooking.” As Joseph spoke he noted rather wide grins form on Tesa's and Esana's faces though he wasn't entirely certain why.


 


It was hard for Maria to keep quiet and not tell Joseph he'd just said the right thing. By offering to cook he'd essentially told them welcome. “Joseph I can smell what they're packing and while I'm sure you can help with the lighter work I don't think you want to be involved with the main dish.”


 


“Huh, what is it exactly?”


 


Kesara couldn't help but grin as she took the package from her friend. “Are you sure you want to know?”


 


“If I'm going to be one of the people eating it yes I would.”


 


In response Kesara gave a quick nod and opened up the package. What lay underneath looked to be a solid slab of metal and even had a slight shine to it. This was in fact the creature's skin and it was truly as strong as any steel made by human hands except that backed with magic or the occasional master. “Can you guess what it is?”


 


At first Joseph wasn't certain what he was seeing. He recalled that Mina had killed a basilisk for the sake of eating though so he knew not to rule out very rare and dangerous creature. “Is it safe to touch?”


 


“Sure I made certain it was quite dead before I wrapped it up.”


 


“I see.” As he spoke Joseph took a few steps closer and carefully inspected the corpse. “It looks like a form of rock borrower.”


 


“No.” As she spoke Kesara removed more of the packaging letting Joseph get a better look at the fish. “Do you recognize it now?”


 


“A steel fin! Where did you get one of those!”


 


A slight giggle escaped Kesara as she began to walk towards the kitchen. “The forest does border the ocean on one side you know. I ran across this little bastard while I was out dealing with some fish folk. Occasionally they get it into their heads to leave the ocean and try to set up residence on the edge of our forest.”


 


“I see. So it's your job to deal with them?”


 


“I'm one of the sisters that does.”


 


“I see. Kesara is that why your muscles seem to be a bit well large?”


 


In response to Joseph's comment Kesara flexed her right arm making the muscle even larger. “Kind of, I don't have a mutation like Maria or Mina if you're wondering. I do swim an awful lot though and have toned up my body due to that.”


 


For a moment Joseph went silent as he considered asking if the steel fin would be safe for him to eat. He refrained from doing so though. Rather he chose to trust Maria wouldn't let her sisters feed him anything that would be detrimental to his health. “Isn't such a thing a bit extravagant though?”


 


“Well you are a new brother so it's something of a special occasion Joseph.” Maria had a wide grin on her face as she walked past Joseph giving him a quick flick with her tail just before she was out of reach. “It's not every day or even every month that we get to welcome a new brother to the community.”


 


As Maria walked towards her Kersara could feel a bit of tension. Of course Kesara wasn't surprised by this. She knew that Maria was interested in Joseph from both talk and just Maria's smell on Joseph. In response Kersara lowered her tail though only for a moment. Just enough for Maria to get the message. She had no intention on trying to take Maria's prey. “That's true. I was beginning to wonder how long this building would be empty actually.”


 


“Huh. I can't say I know everything about your people but shouldn't my moving here be a cause for annoyance? From the way Maria was talking it means my neighbors have to be more careful then normal and well.”


 


“Hardly it's actually nice having a brother living near by. Plus they are some perks to being careful.”


 


A sigh escaped Esana as she spoke up. “No kidding about that. Sense you're near by it'll be easier to decline or put off a challenge for a while. Plus it'll keep our younger sisters from being quite so excitable.”


 


“Challenge?”


 


“You mentioned it so you explain it Esana.” As she spoke Kersara busied herself gathering the things she need to cook the fish from the kitchen and laying them out where they'd be easily in reach.


 


“Sure thing Kersara. Basically it means we don't have to worry about any of our other sisters trying to pick a fight with us as long as we're around here.”


 


“I thought you all got along so well.”


 


“I suppose that we get along well enough but they're certain instincts that run pretty deep. That and we do have some hot heads and general idiots amongst us that don't know when to let well enough alone. Kersara had to remind one of our sisters that all guardians are not equal.”


 


“That was a stupid bit of business and she should have just let it die.” A sigh escaped Kersara as she shook her head. “Okay I believe I've located everything I need.”


 


“May I know what happened?”


 


“I'd like to know as well.” Maria had by now backed away from Kersara having acknowledged her sisters response and relaxed a little. “Normally when one of us out right attacks the other it gets around quickly. After all we do have ways of handling grudges that can't be handled with words that don't involve being ambushed. I guess the ambushed part was the problem though.”


 


In response Kersara gave a nod. “Yeah. It happened while I was out swimming. I caught site of one of our sisters fighting with some of the fish men and went to lend her a hand. She went nuts though whenever I joined in on the fight and started screaming about not needing my help. In the end I got rather upset and made some comments and went on my way. Later I went and gave my report on activity on the beaches to our brothers and learned that our sister had already done so as well. Except she left out the part where I had lent her a hand. It wasn't a big deal to me but apparently it was a big deal to her. It's not like I said she needed my help though she was doing find I just didn't see a reason not to help her.”


 


Seeing Kersara slow for a moment Maria chose to speak up. “It sounds like she might have messed up a few things already and was trying to rebuild her reputation. Though that's hardly the way to go about it.”


 


“It's possible. Anyway, a few days later I was walking along and then she actually attacked me. The attack was pretty sudden so I wasn't able to truly block but well she didn't really have that much power in her strikes.”


 


“Pardon, Kersara I can see that you're more muscular then the other guardians I've seen but just how much stronger are you? Your bodies don't seem to change very easily.”


 


In response Kersara gave a nod. “You're right about that. Our bodies do respond to exercise and get stronger but to gain visible results there has to be a significant change in strength. I suppose if most sisters were average people then I would be a trained soldier physically speaking.”


 


“Was that intentional?”


 


“Not so much. I just really like swimming and really hate my prey getting away from me. The fish men can move faster in the water then most of us so I conditioned my body so that I can catch them. Well they can move faster then most of us over short distances if we can keep tracking them we'll catch up but I hate losing the burst race and tracking in the water is tough.”


 


“I see. So what happened with the fight?”


 


“I beat her down. I think I might have gone a little too far but I was pretty upset at the moment. I mean she got snippy with me whenever I was just trying to lend her a hand, she lies to our brothers and then she attacks me. Anyway, not many of our sisters were around to see it so it didn't really get far though I did tell Mirin and a few of the other brothers.”


 


“Any ideal what happened to her?”


 


“I haven't seen her on the beach for a while or smelt her. I still smell her scent around the village from time to time but I'm guessing that Mirin moved her to a less important task.”


 


“I see. Maria when you said you guess she was about to be demoted do you mean she would have to undergo the same punishment as you?”


 


In response Maria quickly shook her head. “No. No. Even guardians have ranks amongst them based on what task you're handling. Watching the beaches takes you far away from home even for us, requires you to fight in the water which isn't our primary strength, means you may encounter unknown and well some other factors. So it's viewed as a very respectable position. It's a good position to earn the right to become a keeper actually. They're less important task though.”


 


“I see. So I won't be seeing you around often Kersara?”


 


“Not every night that's for certain. I tend to be gone for two days at a time then get to come back and let our brothers know what's going on.”


 


“Hm just what are some of these less important jobs?”


 


“Well for one thing patrolling some of the inner regions of the forest are considered somewhat low ranking. That's why sisters that handled that are expected to bring back useful plants and animals every once in a while. Of course, that also depends on the range you inspect. Maria I'm pretty sure you don't have to bring back anything whenever you go out searching right?”


 


“Like I'd be that lazy!”


 


A slight giggle escaped Kersara as she nodded her head. “True but still you're not required to bring back anything due to the range you cover correct?”


 


“That's true. I feel a little strange about it at times though. My speed really lets me cover a massive area.”


 


“Yeah but you haven't reached guardian status yet either.”


 


“Well that's true.”


 


“Of course, don't let me give you any ideals that the danger or difficulty decides what task we end up doing or how it's viewed. Doing a task that the rest of us just plain don't want to do is considered a good thing.”


 


“Such as?”


 


“Those that handle the night time maintenance. I wouldn't put it up there with beach patrol but they aren't a whole lot of us that want to do that as it leaves less time to meet with friends.”


 


“I see. So Maria where you out performing your tasks whenever I encountered you in the forest?”


 


“Oh heck no. I was eating berries and napping. I would have thought that was obvious.”


 


“Er well.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “No. I wasn't out doing my shift whenever you bumped into me. At that time my greatest responsibility was to gather things we needed from the forest actually. You know you're not the only one that's been trying to gain status in the community.”


 


“Well dang now I feel like a self centered prick.”


 


Before speaking Maria made her way over to Joseph and moved behind him wrapping her arms around him as she did so and pulling him against herself. “Na, you're not self centered. I was moved to regular patrols a few weeks after I brought you back. Since then my territory has been changing and expanding a bit but I haven't gotten to do anything real important like monitor the more dangerous zones.”


 


“Dangerous zones?”


 


“Areas with creatures that pose a threat to the entire forest, us or could destroy an entire species in the forest. One quick example I can think of is the kobolds another is the basalisk dins. The entire beach is considered a danger zone due to the attacks from the fish people and the difficulty in chasing them. On top of that they're very far from our village so those sisters who guard there are very well respected for being willing to spend such a long time away from home.”


 


“I see. So Kersara you're a pretty high ranked guardian then aren't you?”


 


While they'd been talking Kersara had been busy removing the tough outer skin from the steel fin. She knew that no amount of cooking would let Joseph eat the skin but she and her sisters loved it. They'd let Joseph have the tenderest meat inside of the fish though even that would taking cooking to make tender enough. “I wouldn't say ranked. It's not like I have any real special authority or anything. I guess it does have its perks though. Like I tend to get my choice of meat at the dining hall whenever I come in but then again I wonder if that's just because my muscles.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Kersara you know it isn't due to your muscles. If muscles decided such things the room would clear out whenever Mina walked in.”


 


“Ah but Mina is a big softy. I'm tough.”


 


It was impossible for Maria to keep from chuckling as she looked at Kersara. “Yeah right.”


 


“Some how I don't imagine any of you girls or your sisters respond very well to intimidation.”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Well it's not unheard of but well. It's just hard to imagine any of us especially a guardian or higher relying upon fear unless it was to break up a dispute quickly without bloodshed. That's when dealing with another sister at least.”


 


“What about that sister that jumped Kersara then? I mean Kersara you said that you hadn't seen her sense then but if she was willing to jump you wouldn't that suggest she'd used underhanded tactics.”


 


“Ah Joseph I don't like to think too much about that. If I do I might go and beat the day lights out of her. If she was willing to jump me she might jump another sister who she'd felt offended her and the ideal of someone jumping one of my weaker sisters.” For a moment Kersara went silent as she felt her upper body tensing up. She then took in a few deep breathes and gave her head a shake. “It really makes my instincts kick in.”


 


After a moment of silence and noticing the way Kersara's muscles seemed to swell Joseph opted to forget that subject entirely. “I'm kind of curious. How do you prepare a steel fin so that a human can eat it?”


 


“Ah well first I have to separate what a human can handle eating and what they can't. Me and the others will eat what you can't. The inner meat gets pretty tender once you go deep enough especially if I cut some of the connective tissue. A good cooking and it's more then tender enough for a human to eat. Of course, you have to go pretty deep into the muscle to reach the tender stuff that's one of the reasons I had to bring so much.”


 


“Ah and I thought you just wanted more to gorge yourself on.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Kersara as she looked at the fish. “Well maybe that's why I chose this. I thought it would be a nice way to greet you as well. I'm certain you tried most of the things at the dining hall so this was one of the few things I could think of that you might not have tried.”


 


“Not everything. Some of the things you ladies eat is just beyond my ability or willingness to try. I'm a little worried about what you're fixing now.”


 


“Well don't worry too much it's good. Maria can back me up on that.”


 


“Yep. It's been a while since I've had steel fin but I remember liking it a lot. Just not enough to go through the trouble of catching it.”


 


“Could you four tell me. Are the steel fins also part of the forest's design?”


 


In response Maria quickly shook her head in the negative. “No. Though I imagine aspects of the forest drew them to the coast. As it seems to draw everything else to the its borders.”


 


“When the fish people come into your forest what are they generally after?”


 


“Kersara you can probably handle this one better then I can.”


 


“They tend to be after everything it seems. Though those plants with particularly useful properties seems to be their primary goal. It's really something else the way they move though. I often hear and smell them before I realize they're coming. They often look like a sea wave rolling in until they get close enough.”


 


“Do you use any special tactics to fight them?”


 


“Let out a roar to show my sisters where I and they are then attack and kill as many as I can as quickly as I can. I've found that putting fear into them is a good tactic as it often makes them break what little formation they have. From that point on I just try to slaughter then all before they can retreat. It can be troublesome whenever something is motivating them to at tack though. They don't respond to fear as effectively and I just have to resort to flat out killing them.”


 


“I bet you tend to have a nice meal after you're done though.”


 


“Of course. Why do you think I call for my sisters? I really hate to waste food but if I let myself feast on the fish people until I'd eaten all that I often kill then well. I wouldn't be staying within my confines.”


 


“Wouldn't that be alright though if you aren't getting your food source from the forest?”


 


In response Kersara shook her head. “If it was a reliable food source that I could always count on then yes. However, I can never be certain when they're going to attack and they're not stable enough to be a reliable food source. Esana how are things coming along over there?”


 


“I'm ready to start adding heat but I'm having trouble finding any fuel for the stove.” As she spoke Esana was still busy searching through the various cabinets. “I know it has to be here I can smell it.” Even as she was searching with her eyes Esana was actively paying attention to the air. Finally she stopped and began to search through some drawers. “Ah darn it I hate these designs.”


 


“What?”


 


Before responding Esana took hold of the latch and pulled lightly opening the cabinet as she did so. “I hate it whenever the cabinets are hidden like that. I get that it was meant to add to the ascetics of the room but it's still annoying.” What Esana drew out was a small container of oil which she carried over to the stove. She didn't have any trouble finding the opening to accept the oil.


 


“I wonder. What would have happened if I had wanted a wood burning stove?”


 


“Do you? We can do that. It's just that we've found brothers prefer these types in their homes as they're easier to manage.”


 


“You mean once they get used to it. Honestly I was quite surprised whenever I was first shown how the stove worked. I thought all you had was wood burning ovens like the ones I'm used to. I guess this is all part of controlling what people do and do not know about you.”


 


To this Maria gave a nod. “It would be bad if one of the claimed that earned their freedom went out into the world and told them we build stone buildings and have stoves that use special oils for cooking instead of simple wood. It's better if everyone thinks that we're simply beast that like to cook all of our food over open fires.”


 


To this Esana spoke up. “Well in all honesty whenever I cook my food I do prefer if it is done over an open flame.”


 


Kersara couldn't help but glance back at her friend as she spoke. “Really? I spend so much time away from the village that I only get to eat food prepared like this every two or three days. So I eat most of my food raw or cooked over an open fire and I have to say I like this more. What about you Maria oil cooked or cooked over an open flame?”


 


“Neither of them are really my main preference. I think my favorite method of cooking is grilled like they tend to do at the dining hall. I like a hint of smokiness to my food. Joseph how about you?”


 


“I well. I guess I really don't have a preference. Stoves like this are kind of rare where I'm from after all. Do you know where they originally came from?”


 


In response Maria gave a nod. “The dwarfs originally developed them to keep from filling their tunnels with smoke whenever they got to deep for warm meals to really be brought from the surface. Also lumber tends to be used more as a bracing material then a cooking material for them. They were later refined once humans began to express an interest in them. We like to use them for a reason similar to the dwarfs. By not producing smoke we decrease the odds of someone stumbling upon this location.”


 


“It's kind of depressing whenever I think about it. These type of stoves have been around for so long yet only the wealthy have them. You would think after all that time we'd found a way to produce them effectively enough for everyone to enjoy such benefits. Then again there is also the oil to factor into this. I'm guessing that it comes from the forest as well.”


 


To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Yep it does. The making of the oil is simple enough that we even let the claimed make it.”


 


“You know it's odd now that you mention that. I've never heard stories from those that escaped this forest about you girls putting captured people to work making leather. Especially on the scale that you tend to. You'd think that would be an important bit of information that any survivors would be eager to share. I guess that's a testament to how few actually manage to escape from here.”


 


Esana couldn't help but speak up as she listened to Joseph. “Well how many do you believe want to admit that they helped us in anyway? There's also the issue of who would believe them and further speculation as to what we might be doing with such matters. I wonder if most would believe that we use it for clothing, some shelters, some containers and just about everything else humans use it for.”


 


“I guess they want to keep your people as monstrous as possible.”


 


After a moment of silence Esana once again spoke up. “Don't you mean our people? Aren't you one of us now?”


 


Joseph was made to jump a little bit as if he'd been startled. “You know you have a point. I guess I didn't think of that. Well now that thought is just plain upsetting when before it was only frustrating.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Esana as she began to heat up the dishes she'd been preparing. “We don't get out often but I'm actually interested in what I can learn of the outside world. That's why I like to go to the border of the forest whenever possible and try to see what the humans are up to. I hope to one day reach the rank of keeper so I can speak with people from the outside more readily as long as I'm careful not to be tricked.”


 


“You know I could answer a lot of your questions if you have any.”


 


“I bet you could about the region you live in. What all could you tell me about the elfs though?”


 


“A bit. I haven't had much interaction with them but I've known some elfs.”


 


“Okay. Who do most elfs consider their greatest ruler and what is the actual reality of that person's rule?”


 


“Now that I couldn't tell you.”


 


“I bet just about any elf could though.”


 


“You have a good point there. Well I'll be happy to tell you anything about where I am from that I can tell you.”


 


“How long do you think the war will carry on?”


 


“When I left my employer I didn't see any signs of it slowing down or ending anytime soon. Both sides are pretty well matched and both are pretty much after the same thing. If one can defeat the other and hold onto what they take they'll become the dominant power amongst humans in this region. Of course, one major hindrance to the war effort on both sides is the travel time as they can't just go through your forest.”


 


Maria couldn't help herself as she spoke up. “Our forest.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“You said it wrong. You should say that it is our forest sense you're a brother now. You need to remember things like that.”


 


“You're not going to let me miss any slip ups are you?”


 


“Nope.”


 


“Thanks. As far as what got the war started. In truth it's both sides wanting to be the biggest and most powerful nation in the area as well as control the resources of the other. At the moment they have to compete with one another to fulfill the same roll after all. Sort of like when two alpha predators bump into each other and both have had a good season of hunting so they got energy to spare.”


 


Esana gave a slight nod. “So they're going to fight against one another until one gets lucky or until they're both so depleted that they can't even fight off the weaker predators that move in on them.”


 


“That is a possibility.”


 


In response Esana gave her head a slight shake. “Well I don't agree with your statement about alpha predators. Unless they have serious aggression issues they would size one another up, realize that they're evenly matched for the moment and both would retreat to their territory after doing some strutting. You humans attack whenever you're both in a position of strength and thus waste an important opportunity to deal with other issues in your domain.”


 


“So you're saying you think humans are dumber then animals?”


 


“Now I didn't say that! I like several things about humans and I'm happy whenever I can call one of you brother. Your behavior can be very foolish though then again you can be very wise at times. I don't see why you have kings though.”


 


“Didn't you have a single leader at one time?”


 


“Yes but he wasn't a king to us.”


 


“Huh? From what Mirin told me he sounded like a king.”


 


Maria couldn't help herself as she spoke up. “I wasn't around to know him. Only about a quarter of us were actually around that time but I've heard about him. One of your human kings rules through the might of a military at least that's the impression I get. Our leader led through the general consent of all the sisters and brothers. They respected him and trusted his judgment so they followed his guidance.”


 


“You don't believe he ever used their hunger as a means of controlling them?”


 


In response Maria quickly shook her head. “Of course not! I doubt they would remember him so fondly if he used such methods to control them. Why venerate a cruel ruler who used pain to gain your obedience?”


 


As Joseph listened to Maria he couldn't help but remember his talk with Mirin a bit over a week before hand.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Joseph gave a sigh as he looked around the forest and realized that he was well past the market. It had been the first time he'd been allowed this far and now that he was there he doubted that he had any chance of leaving the forest. That was alright though he'd chosen to stay. “Hey Flora what are we doing all the way out here?”


 


In response to Joseph's question Flora glanced down at him. “It's so you can ask questions freely without feeling watched.”


 


“Hm with your ability to sneak around I'm pretty sure I could be being watched even here.”


 


“That is true.”


 


“It's also so that I can move around freely.” Sora had a wide grin on her face as she proceeded towards Joseph and Flora. A slight giggle escaped Sora as she noted Joseph jump slightly upon noticing her. “Surprised that something as big as me can move so quietly?”


 


“Uh yeah. I take it you're one of the larger sisters I've been told about.”


 


“We're called matrons and indeed I am. My name is Sora and I'm glad you decided to stay brother.”


 


“Thanks. Wasn't I suppose to meet with a brother here though? A biological one.”


 


“Ha! Told you that he wouldn't notice you.” As she spoke Sora reached up and removed some of her hair from around Mirin. She'd used enough to provide a light covering but not conceal him entirely.


 


“If you weren't so imposing I'm certain that he would have. Greetings Joseph my name is Mirin. I believe you've heard about me and I've heard quite a bit about you.” As he was speaking Mirin felt Sora's massive hand reach up and her fingers wrap around him. He didn't even flinch or really move whenever she lifted him from her shoulder and began to lower him towards the ground closer to Joseph and Flora.


 


As Joseph looked at Mirin he could hardly believe what he was seeing. Mirin's hair was a light brown while his eyes were green. He was roughly one hundred eighty centimeters tall with rather light skin tone. His build was more athletic then what most would expect from a mage though he clearly wasn't conditioned for carrying heavy burdens. There was absolutely no fur on him, his ears were rounded like a humans his pupils didn't look feline in the least and he had regular teeth as well revealed whenever he smiled.


 


“I thought you were suppose to be a biological brother.”


 


“That's exactly what I am.”


 


“What?”


 


It was impossible for Mirin not to grin despite having done this before. “You see except for a few alterations those of us called brothers are human. That's why you never see any three meter tall males with fur all over their bodies walking around. We simply don't have the same features as our sisters.”


 


“How is that possible?”


 


“Well it was designed into our sisters of course not by us naturally. Rather it was a design feature their creators put in to insure that they wouldn't become a threat to humanity. Before I continue though Joseph do you recognize this symbol?” As he spoke Mirin reached into his pocket and lifted up a bit of cloth which he held out for Joseph to see.


 


Immediately Joseph felt his pulse quicken as he recognized the symbol right away. While the guild had vanished hundreds of years ago their mark was still well known. “It's the mark of the Luvarians.”


 


“Good and do you know what the Luvarians where?”


 


“The Luvarians were a mage's and alchemist guild that existed hundreds of years ago. They specialized in life magic but were considered heretics and monsters as the type of life magic they used wasn't healing. They created monsters.”


 


A sigh escaped Mirin as he nodded his head. “Yes that is the most common perception. Well as you're one of us now I suppose I'll start explaining. As you are probably well aware of the Luvarians were an exceptionally powerful guild and you're right in that they specialized in the creation of new life forms. They didn't just make new species of animals or people though. This forest is also one of their works. Joseph in the time you were here did the abundance of alchemical and magic supplies within this forest ever strike you as odd?”


 


“I didn't really think about it. The resources of this forest are well known even to those who live outside of it. Though I was surprised to see how rich in resources the forest truly was. From the way you're talking I'm guessing the Luvarians had a hand in that.”


 


“Indeed they did. They're actually the creators of this forest. You see they didn't just want to settle for small gardens growing limited quantities but rather they wanted an abundant storehouse of materials for their research. In order to obtain that they picked out a desolate region of plains land and began developing it into the wondrous forest you see now. Of course such an undertaking was massive even for such a powerful guild and they wanted to insure their investments were protected.”


 


At first Joseph said nothing but tried to take in what Mirin had just told him. Of course the forest was a remarkable source of alchemical and magic ingredients. The best that he knew of by far if only one could gain access to it. However, the ideal that a guild of mages and alchemist had managed to create such a vast forest with a treasure trove of life seemed beyond what could have been achieved. “So you really believe the Luvarians made this forest?”


 


“We know that they did. While we don't have access to all their records what we have been able to gather confirms that they grew this forest and that our sisters were meant to be its guardians. Just think. Nothing like our sisters exist anywhere in this world at least nothing that we've learned about. On top of that they are nearly perfectly suited to surviving within and protecting this forest from outside harm.”


 


“I see what you're saying but to think that even the Luvarians could create such a wondrous forest and even more wondrous our sisters is a bit hard for me to believe.”


 


“Joseph you have no true ideal of what knowledge the Luvarians had at their disposal. Though you're right to believe that it wasn't all their doing. While we haven't managed to gather much details from the few records we've managed to unlock it seems they had help from an exceptionally powerful being named Krysharan. Unfortunately we haven't managed to locate any information telling where this being lives.”


 


“Krysharan? The name sounds like a drow.”


 


“Yes we noticed that as well. I know what I'm telling you may seem impossible. The ideal that humans with the help of a drow could do all of this but if you look at the design of this forest and our sisters I believe it'll lead you to the same conclusion. This forest was created to produce rare and valuable alchemical reagents for some use. We believe that use was to supply the Luvarians the materials they needed for their research and creations.”


 


Once again Joseph went silent and looked past Mirin to Sora who was setting quietly with a large smile on her face. He then turned his gaze to Flora and back to Mirin. “I can't say that's very comforting information. I'm not a historian but from everything I know the Luvarians were one of the most evil guilds that have existed and one of the most powerful as well. Some of the monsters they are believed to have created still torment this world to this day.”


 


“Unfortunately the information we've uncovered would back up your belief. Anyway, please ask me anything you want to know and I'll see if I can answer it.”


 


“Alright. Was the first leader Maria spoke up a member of the Luvarians?”


 


“Indeed he was.”


 


“Then why weren't the sisters ever used as weapons?”


 


“As far as we can gather they weren't really meant to be used as weapons but rather as guardians. Their massive energy demands made it impractical to use them over long distances especially through a particularly baron region.”


 


“Alright, then what happened to the Luvarians that were stationed here?”


 


“The exact details are unknown even to use but apparently there was an upheaval in the guild. In fighting broke out and a good deal were killed by their own guild mates. However, the supervisor of the forest the one our sisters consider their first leader was able to keep them out of the fighting. Whether this was by merit of his magic abilities, his political influence, some hidden threat, his own cunning or some combination of the four we don't know. We do speculate but we don't know. All we do know is that he was able to keep the fighting that tore the wrest of the guild apart from tearing the sisters apart. After words he took the responsibility of leading the sisters upon himself.”


 


“I see. Maria mentioned to me once that for a long time their hunger wasn't the issue that it was now. Do you know anything about that?”


 


“Indeed I do. At one time the sisters were sustained not just by physical food but by a mystic energy source they were all tied into. While it wouldn't be accurate to say they knew no hunger the energy source allowed them to all sustain their bodies around the five meter mark which meant that compared to now their hunger was much less. Unfortunately this power source was lost at the same time their leader was.”


 


“I see. Mirin could you tell me why the sisters always have to wear those bracelets when around magic reactions?”


 


“It's because they soak up unstable mystic energy and convert it into their own energy. Actually it isn't just unstable energy they can absorb any form of mystic energy it's just unstable is far more vulnerable to this absorption. It's one of the reason why magic has so little affect upon them. They actually take in some of the energy for themselves.”


 


“They can't absorb it entirely though can they?”


 


“That depends purely on the nature of the spell. If you're using something like a weak fire ball you might as well conserve your energy they'll just absorb all of it.”


 


“I see. So I imagine saturating the area with weak magic in order to cause damage over time would be a bad ideal.”


 


“Without a doubt.”


 


“Is that ability related to the energy source they once fed upon?”


 


“In a sense yes. I can say that for certain. I believe that they were designed to be extremely resistant to magic damage from the very beginning though. By incorporating features that would let them absorb mystic energy though the Luvarians were able to provide them with energy more easily and gave them a powerful defense mechanism.”


 


“Would it be right to say that they made it so that any male children the sisters gave birth would be humans so that they wouldn't become a threat to the species?”


 


“That's extremely likely. If the sisters had been able to give birth to males of the same species as themselves they could have become a dangerous threat indeed. As things are now though they need other species of humanoids to continue their species and thus it would be very bad for them if they decided to use the entire world as a buffet.”


 


“Mirin are you just fooling around with me? As right now this is sounding rather plausible the more I think about it. If you are indeed a biological brother it seems exceptionally likely. After all I can't image nature ever developing a life form that could give birth to females of its species but not males being developed naturally.”


 


“It's the situation. We aren't sure if the low male birth rate is a design feature or not but it is also a major issue.”


 


“Flora is this the truth to the best of your knowledge?”


 


“Yes it is Joseph. Mirin is indeed one of our biological brothers and everything he's told you is true.”


 


“I'm having trouble imaging the Luvarians creating something like the sisters though. From everything I know the guild was completely malevolent!”


 


“Now Joseph who wrote the history that portray the Luvarians as entirely evil?”


 


“As they were destroyed it would have been their enemies.”


 


“Like I said before though. Our research would confirm the impression that the Luvarians were a very cold hearted group. However, I wouldn't describe them as purely malevolent. One matter I would like to point out in their favor. In all of our research we never found anything to make us suspect that our sisters have or were intended to have any form of external control mechanism. There is no fundamental part of them that could prevent them from exercising their free will.”


 


“For a mage guild to create such powerful life forms and not build in a control mechanism is unheard of though! Are you sure that there isn't something hidden?”


 


“We haven't found anything to indicate such a mechanism. Rather it seems the Luvarians relied upon their ability to work with the sisters and their design to insure they were loyal. They designed our sisters so they would be naturally inclined to perform the task the Luvarians had in mind for them and kept them happy. That was enough to insure their loyalty and with no control mechanism to be stolen they didn't fear them begin turned against the guild.”


 


“I take it this is all common knowledge amongst the sisters and brothers.”


 


“Indeed it is. We just thought it would be best if you met a brother in person so that you could see how human we truly are.”


 


“Are you entirely human though?”


 


To this Mirin gave his head a slight shake. “No. We're not entirely human. The main difference is that I could never cause a human girl to be conceived. My daughter whether by a sister or by any other mate able female would be one of our sisters.”


 


“Could a human even carry such a child?”


 


“It's not impossible. However, even if I were to find a woman to my liking and Sora didn't eat her I would never take such a risk. More then likely the mother and child would end up dead.”


 


While Sora waited for Mirin to finish she couldn't help but speak up. “Hey now! I'm hardly the jealous type. The ideal that I would eat a person just because you enjoyed spending time with her more then you enjoyed spending time with me isn't very nice.”


 


“Yet you don't deny that it's the truth.”


 


“I'm certain I could find numerous reasons for wanting to eat her if you enjoyed spending time with her. You're awfully depraved after all. I mean she wouldn't have to be-” Sora went silent as a slight snicker escaped her upon noticing the look Mirin was giving her. Her right hand came to cover her mouth but even that wasn't enough to block all the chuckles that escaped her.


 


Mirin couldn't help but glare at Sora. He wasn't truly offended but at times he forgot how proficient she was at turning his comments against him. “Anyway, yes it's possible but not very likely. In the end more then likely the mother and child would be lost due to the demands a sister would put on a human body. After all we only allow those sisters that are guardian ranked or higher to have children for a very good reason.”


 


Joseph had actually been caught off guard by Mirin and Sora though he kept quiet about that. It was hard to keep from joining in on Sora's laughter though especially as she was still trying to get herself to stop laughing. “To insure that the mother can handle the burden of the child?”


 


“Indeed.”


 


“I see. So what happens now? I imagine there are new rules I need to adhere to.”


 


“Well as you're part of the community now you're going to be expected to help better the community. Joseph quite a few of us are wondering when you're going to be ready to share the life bloom with all of our sisters.”


 


“I guess I can't say I'm worried about what you'll all do with it anymore. Can I?”


 


“How appropriate would that be now that you're one of us? Of course you do have a right to your knowledge though I would like to know your reason for not sharing that knowledge.”


 


“Well right now I'm still doing testing. I have however began supplying one of the sisters with fruit from the life bloom and seeing how she responded to it. So far all the results have been promising.”


 


“Maria.”


 


“I guess her regular visits makes it rather obvious that she's the one.”


 


“Yeah, that and the fact that Maria didn't really think things through as well as she should have.” A sigh escaped Mirin as he shook his head. “She knows how sensitive our sisters noses are yet she didn't do much to wash off her lips or clean her teeth. Of course they're going to notice the smell of a fruit they've never tasted before on her breath.”


 


A grin actually formed on Joseph's face as he considered the scent of Maria's breath. “It's very hard to hide anything here isn't it.”


 


“I'm afraid so. I've grown up with things this way my entire life but I know most who enter our society have much to adapt to.”


 


While Sora was mostly there to show off as a matron and help Mirin out she couldn't help but speak up. “Yeah I remember whenever Dan first realized that every sister knew when he and Mina had been making love. I think it was even worse whenever it sunk in that we all knew whenever he was sexually aroused. It's a good thing he was with Mina at the time or we'd made it really hard on him.”


 


“I. I well I see. Well then I guess it's a good thing I'm with Maria then.”


 


In response to Joseph's comment Sora leaned forward presenting him with a much better view of her cleavage as she did so. “Oh I wouldn't say that. Mina and Dan were quite a bit further along then you and Maria are. I can see some of my sisters deciding to have some fun with you especially if Maria isn't around.”


 


“I'll just have to refuse them then.”


 


“Oh. Now that's a good answer.”


 


Flora gave a slight chuckle as she placed a hand on Joseph's shoulder. “I'm certain that Maria will be plenty happy to hear that.”


 


“Well. So is there anything else I should know?”


 


To this Mirin spoke up. “Yes though most of this you already realized. You are not to reveal that us brothers are basically humans. As you're a brother now having you live in one of the temporary homes won't do you're going to be moved into the main village. We're also going to be moving your workshop to one of the larger research facilities.”


 


“Huh? The workshop I have now is fine.”


 


“Joseph this isn't really negotiable. Your home and workshop are going to be quite far apart and besides the main research facilities are far better suited to your work. It'll also give us the ability to relax patrols in that area.”


 


“You mean I've been being watched?”


 


“Of course. You knew that already though.”


 


“Well yeah it's still odd to hear you say it like that. Was Kiara just spying on me?”


 


“Um Kiara? Could you tell me who her mother is?”


 


“I didn't get her mother's name.”


 


Instead of waiting for Mirin to figure out who Joseph was talking about Sora spoke up. “No Kiara wasn't there spying on you. She really is quite an odd sister in how she takes to the night. She's basically tasked with going around to the various workshops and making sure that they have the basic supplies for in the morning. She also checks for any damage or odd happenings.”


 


In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “I was a bit worried there for a moment. So how many buildings does she see to?”


 


“In varies actually. With you moving out she won't be checking up on your old workshop as often. She'll probably have the range she watches extended to make up for that.”


 


“Mirin, Sora I haven't really thought to ask this before and I know it's not directly related to me but are they any sisters that choose not to do anything?”


 


Sora chose to speak up before Mirin could. “No. They are some however that would choose to only live off the forest and not help the community at all. However, such behavior is not tolerable. Though, some are allowed to take on a minimal effort approach. Those sisters are not permitted to grow to guardian size though and indeed are only permitted to grow to two or so meters tall at the very most.”


 


“I see. I was wondering as I never see them around.”


 


“Of course! The market is for those sisters that are productive and want to interact with one another. At most such a lazy sister would do is show up to make a delivery or eat at the dining hall. Though I doubt their presence would be very welcomed.”


 


“Um I see. So there is a lot of pressure to produce?”


 


A slight growl escaped Sora before she realized what was going on and she noted Joseph stepping back. “Sorry. That was uncalled for. I just have rather strong feelings on this subject.”


 


“I didn't mean to offend you.”


 


“You didn't. Anyway, I'll answer this one to. I hope you don't mind Mirin. Joseph it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to achieve guardian level and to maintain it. Really reaching guardian is mostly about self control. Those sisters that don't aspire to move beyond guardian often stick to the easier tasks which can basically be accomplished while doing what they enjoy anyway. Unless what they enjoy involves staying in the village all day and not even going on a hunt or helping out.”


 


“Yeah. I remember you have a natural instinct to hunt.”


 


“That is true. It was actually designed into us so that we'd be more aggressive whenever it came to defending our forest home. I just don't understand how one of our sisters can be content to do nothing and just feed on the efforts of others.”


 


After a moment of silence Joseph gave a nod. “So is there anything else I need to know? I'm certain I'll have more questions later but if what you've told me is true I can just ask Maria or perhaps even you Flora.” As he spoke her name Joseph turned and looked up at Flora.


 


“Sure thing.”


 


“Thanks. I guess the only question I have left for the moment then is what am I really expected to do? You've talked a lot about what is expected of the sisters but what of the brothers.”


 


In response Mirin gave a nod. “It's not a free ride for us. In all honesty we would like you to continue your research on the life bloom. With greater haste though so no more making healing potions. However, we also would like it if you would share the data you've managed to gather thus far and perhaps pick a team of people to work with you.”


 


To this Joseph gave a nod. “It would be nice to have a mage to work with me. I don't really know any of the alchemist around here though except Dan. Is there a chance that he could partner with me and pick the other team members?”


 


“If Dan agrees to it yes and given the situation I imagine he'll be happy to help you.”


 


“Situation?”


 


“Well perhaps situation wasn't the right word for that. Given how much it would help our sisters I'm certain Dan will be glad to aid you. Especially if it means Mina will get to share in the life bloom sooner.”


 


“Huh? Is such behavior really appropriate?”


 


A sigh escaped Mirin as he shook his head. “Joseph you're going to have to pick some test subjects for the life bloom other then Maria one way or the other. Mina is one of our most resolute sisters and one of the most trusted. She would be a fine candidate.”


 


“From the way you talked though it sounded like I would be bribing Dan through Mina to come and help me.”


 


“Joseph we don't use currency here the way you do in the outside world. You know that. So what do you think we use to encourage others to aid us?”


 


“I see. Favors and respect then.”


 


“Indeed though there has been some debate as to whether or not we should develop a currency system. In all honesty though our numbers are just too small to require such a system.”


 


Before Joseph could respond Sora spoke up. “Plus most of the sisters would take a nice big meal over some shiny coins as a form of thanks or reward.”


 


In response Joseph gave a nod. “I can believe that but what if they were so many of you that you couldn't keep track of who owed you a meal and who you owed?”


 


“Hm well we'd need a currency system in that case or all of us would have to start doing some form of book keeping. Gosh that would be troublesome though. We don't have a lot of metals in the forest after all.”


 


In response Joseph gave a nod. “Well not all currency systems are based off metal coins. Anyway, I didn't mean to side track things like that. So Mirin is there any form of ritual that I go through to be officially accepted as a brother or is this it?”


 


“You'll be getting new marks put on your clothing soon enough. As for any large gatherings there won't really be any of those. Though if it were up to our sisters I'm certain there would be a celebration. They tend to look for any reason to have a large feast. It's a good thing they don't see combat the same way as humans do or every time they beat down the kobolds or such they'd want to have a celebration feast.”


 


“You're darn right about that!” Sora had a wide grin on her face as she touched a finger to her cheek. “Wow getting to enjoy a large meal every time we killed off a bunch of kobolds. That'd be some good feasting.”


 


“Yes and you would deplete the forest resources in under a year.”


 


“Ah I suppose that is true.”


 


“Anyway Joseph. While a new brother joining us is an important event we tend to keep such things small. Even whenever a new child is born the gatherings are kept to those that are closest to the mother though that can be due to practical reasons.”


 


To this Joseph gave a quick nod. “I understand but what practical reasons are those?”


 


“Whenever one of our sisters becomes pregnant certain instincts become very strong. They get even stronger during the birthing process though such that they tend to become somewhat less rational. A sister with a newly born child would be liable to lash out at anyone she didn't trust completely. You can imagine what problems that can cause especially when dealing with a sister like Sora here.”


 


“Hm well that's good to know. So you said I was going to be moving into a new home? When would I be able to go see it?”


 


“Flora would you mind showing Joseph to his new home?”


 


In response Flora gave a quick nod. “We set you up in a nice one and I think you're going to get along with your neighbors.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Back!”


 


Joseph gave a slight jump upon hearing Kersara call out. Upon looking up a grin formed on his face whenever he took note of Maria beating a quick retreat away from the stove. “Maria what were you trying to do?”


 


“Hm? Oh nothing.”


 


In response to Maria's comment Kersara glanced over her shoulder. “Yeah right I saw how you were looking at that fish. You might be a lot faster then me but I know whenever one of my sisters is about to pounce.”


 


In response to Kersara's comment Maria gave a rather toothy grin. “Well it's smelling pretty good. Hey Tesa you've been quiet this entire time. Is something wrong?”


 


Instead of acting startled in the least Tesa just glanced back at Maria. “No. I'm fine.”


 


“Why so quiet then? Come on join in on the conversation.”


 


“Hm well I would but I don't have much to say.” As she spoke Tesa continued to work on the dish before her. She'd already cut up her ingredients and had them simmering in a rather large pot. As the flavors mixed together she took careful note of the sent to tell how far along the cooking process was.


 


Before Maria could speak to Tesa again Kersara spoke up. “That's just Tesa for you whenever she's cooking. She can actually tell how far along most dishes are by the scent. I don't even think she relies on sight anymore and I rarely see her taste anything.”


 


While Joseph hadn't been the one to mention it he couldn't help but feel awkward now that Maria had noted how quiet Tesa was being. Plus Kersara had pointed out something interesting to him. “That must be rather useful. I know I wouldn't mind having such a talent whenever it came to alchemy.”


 


Now Tesa chose to speak up. “Why is that Joseph?”


 


“Some potions need testing before you can be certain they're ready. Generally involves taking a sample of the potion which ends up being discarded after testing. If I could tell if the potion was ready just by scent though I wouldn't have to do much testing which over time would add up into a lot of saved reagents.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Tesa as she gave a nod. “Actually that's one reason I don't like to rely on tasting my cooking to see if it's done. Well sort of the reason. I don't like to rely upon taste because once I start it's rather hard to convince myself to stop eating. Plus if the food isn't quite ready tasting it just makes me more eager to taste it again to see how close to done it is. I think I emptied three fourths of a large pot of stew onces just testing to see if it was done.”


 


“Ah well I hope you weren't cooking for guest.”


 


“Actually I was. It was so embarrassing.”


 


“You mean the lack of self control?”


 


“Yeah. I'm just glad Kersara wasn't there.”


 


“Hey! Why wouldn't you have wanted me to be there?”


 


“Because I might not know how but I know that you would have come up with a way to tease me over it.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kersara as she refocused on the fish. “Ask Tesa about cooking if you want to get her talking.”


 


Joseph didn't respond to Kersara but kept his attention focused on Tesa. “So Tesa do you cook at the dining hall very often?”


 


“No. I wish that I could but I really don't have the time to cook their regularly other tasks tend to keep me busy. My nose isn't well trained for just cooking after all.”


 


“Ah I see. So what else do you spend most of your time doing?”


 


“A lot of the time I'm roaming around the forest looking for some of the rarer plants. Those that only grow in very specific areas or don't grow in concentrated numbers. So I don't really have a set region or distance to roam I just come back whenever I have everything that I need.”


 


“Hm it sounds like most of my neighbors won't be around very often.”


 


Kersara held her tongue for a few moments as she waited for one of the others to speak up. When it became clear they weren't going to she chose to. “One of us will probably be around all the time. So if you need help with something feel free to ask. We may exercise our right to say no but we don't mind being asked.”


 


“The thoughts appreciated. I hope I don't have to ask too often though. It often seems to me you ladies go out of your way to accommodate us brothers an awful lot.”


 


In response Kersara shook her head. “Some might agree with you but I don't. After all most of the research and planning done by our brothers is purely to insure our survival and comfort. We know that our brothers could survive quite well in the outside world without us. After all most of them are experienced mages and alchemist. I bet if they worked together and forgot us they could form quite a nice organization beyond the forest.”


 


“I don't think your brothers would abandon you like that.”


 


“We don't either. That's why we don't mind helping you out either. We can't use magic so our brothers us it on our behalf and our benefit. Our bodies are much more powerful then our brothers so we use ours to make up for their weakness. It has worked out quite nicely for a very long time.”


 


As Kersara finished speaking Maria chose to speak up. “Plus it feels kind of natural. I don't know what I would do with myself if the only thing I had to do was sleep and eat. I'd probably get so bored that I'd just eat until I depleted all the available resources.”


 


“Actually Maria I want to ask you about that. What's the largest one of you can grow?”


 


“Ah we don't know. No one has ever reached that limit and there was no data in the citadel that told us what that upper limit was. There is a lot of data detailing our estimated combat strength compared to the energy needed to maintain that ability but nothing really beyond that. I don't believe the Luvarians were really worried about reaching our max size though.”


 


“Have your brothers investigated it any?”


 


“No. I imagine they'd just say that as we don't even have the reserves to let you all grow over thirty meters there is no reason to find out what your maximum is or even think about it.”


 


“Thirty meters!”


 


All four of the girls seemed surprised by Joseph's outburst though it was Maria who recovered first. “Uh whoops. I guess you don't know how large some of the matrons are.”


 


“Thirty meters are you serious?”


 


“Ah well. Though they're not actually matrons. Typically we call such sisters the sleepers.”


 


“Sleepers?”


 


“Yeah they eat so much to keep their energy up that they aren't allowed to be awake for very long. They don't even have a week between waking up, eating and going back to sleep. They're pretty close to our final line of defense if anything ever managed to push that far into the forest.”


 


“Thirty meters? I hardly know of anything that grows that large at least nothing that's an animal and I most assuredly have never seen something that large. I've heard of some sea life but Maria are you serious?”


 


“Well yeah.”


 


“Such a life form could easily eat an adult dragon though! How do you feed such a being?”


 


“Well we can't feed them for long. Basically once they're woken up they're given a massive amount of healing potions and some solid food to go with it. They're given a few days of waking and then they have to go back to sleep.”


 


“Don't you believe such a massive size is excessive though? The dragons that are said to have grown to such scales are legendary.”


 


“That's why they're just about our last line of defense.”


 


“Has anything ever happened to required you to awaken them though?”


 


“Well no. Nothing that we have on record at least. However, our brothers feel that it's necessary to maintain them at such a scale just encase such a situation should arise. After all, it would take a very long time for one of us to reach such a massive scale even if we were to gorge ourselves constantly. By them only awakening for a very brief time period they're able to keep their size and power. Though I do feel sorry for them at times. To have to spend so much time sleeping just doesn't seem fair.”


 


“Maria, I didn't think to ask this when I was speaking to Mirin but do you age whenever you sleep?”


 


“Age? Oh we don't grow older like you humans do.”


 


“What do you mean?”


 


“We don't get weaker with age or sickly like you humans do. If you don't count changes due to exercise or injury my mother hasn't changed physical since the day she had me.”


 


“Maria are you saying that your species doesn't die of age?”


 


In response Maria shook her head. “No at least not the way you humans do. On average though our life spans are around three hundred years but that can differ heavily from sister to sister. It really depends on what kind of life you've led though.”


 


While Joseph had time to adapt to the ideal that Maria and her kind were created by a mage's guild he couldn't help his surprise at hearing this news. “Then how do you die?”


 


“It just tends to happen. Our bodies begin to grow weaker, we become tired sooner and in general slow down. Eventually we become so weak that our bodies can no longer sustain their life functions and we just die. The sister just lays down one day her heart rate slows and then it keeps slowing until it stops beating.”


 


“Do you know what causes you to die?”


 


Before Maria could respond Kersara spoke up. “It's fatigue really. Right now we're relatively young so the world is a place full of wonderful things to experience and do. What happens whenever you've experienced as much as you care to? We believe that it's a design feature our creators put into our bodies to keep us from going insane.”


 


After a moment of silence Joseph gave a nod. “I've heard of similar things happening with other very long lived species. An elf that was extremely passionate at one time begins to grow tired whenever they're a few hundred years old. Some even become shells of who they were and seem to just wait for something to come along and kill them.”


 


To this Maria gave a nod. “Of course, early on there were quite a few problems with our life spans. You can imagine the first group of sisters weren't too happy whenever their brothers began to grow old and die around them.”


 


“Yeah I can see where that would hurt you.”


 


To this Maria gave a nod. “Yeah I'm glad that I wasn't born back then. Fortunately since then we've been able to find a great deal of techniques to extend our brother's life spans. Well actually it was the brothers that found them amongst the archives.”


 


“Huh? Are you serious Maria?”


 


“Of course I am. Once you get a bit more age on you then you'll start receiving treatments to extend your life span. Fortunately the forest has all the reagents we need for the standard potions no doubt due to the Luvarians wanting to extend their life spans as well. The really good potions though we can only make so much of and only if we're lucky.”


 


Kersara gave a sigh as she stepped away from the stove and turned to Maria and Joseph. “Well the fish just needs a little attention every once in a while now. Tesa would you let me know whenever to check on it?”


 


“Sure. I have the sauce for the fish and one of our side dishes ready as well.”


 


“Already?”


 


“Yep!”


 


“You're really good at cooking. That or perhaps I'm just bad.”


 


“You don't have much time to practice.”


 


Before another comment could be made Joseph chose to speak up. “Well then what should we do to pass the time? I really wasn't prepared to entertain but there may be something that we can do.”


 


Before anyone else could respond Kersara spoke up. “Well we've told you quite a bit about ourselves. How about you tell us about yourself? I understand that you were a military alchemist before you ran into the forest. What did you do before that?”


 


“I can't say I did a whole lot. Honestly before I came to this forest my life pretty much revolved around my studies and developing new potions.”


 


“Oh that can't be true. Surely you had some friends that you enjoyed socializing with.”


 


“There were people that I enjoyed talking to. Even I needed to socialize every once in a while.”


 


“So tell us about them?”


 


“I guess the person I spoke to most was Danlin. He was a tavern owner though for a long time he lived as a wonderer. He actually survived that life style long enough and well enough to come back to town, buy a tavern and start a business for himself.”


 


“A tavern owner? You don't seem the type to go get drunk Joseph.”


 


Before Joseph could respond Maria spoke up. “I'd have to agree. I've never smelt much alcohol on you and none of it on your breath. I've actually wondered what you were doing that would require the use of alcohol but not have any on your breath.”


 


“I used alcohol for certain reactions and you're right I never really drank. Danlin's was a bit of a tavern and inn all rolled into one. I liked the food there and Danlin was pleasant enough to talk to as was his wife. I saw his daughter every once in a while whenever the tavern was quieter and even got to speak to her a few times. I liked it there as the food was good and it was actually kept quite clean and peaceful despite the alcohol. I liked to stop in there during the morning and later in the evening to eat. I'd always have some fruit and dried meats in a room next to my workshop so I didn't really go out for lunch.”


 


“Well what did you two talk about?”


 


“Danlin had quite a few stories to tell about his time wondering. At times I felt they were rather inflated but they were interesting none the less. The few times I got to speak to his daughter she well. She had more then a few questions regarding alchemy, magic and many other things neither I or her father really knew much about. I actually tried to make an alchemy book whenever I was visiting with them.”


 


It was impossible for Maria to hide her excitement upon hearing this. “Are you serious!”


 


“Well yeah but it didn't go too far and it wasn't something that you would really hand a trained alchemist. You see his little girl was so curious about alchemy that I thought that I would try to make a book for her. Nothing involving serious alchemy of course but something that a child could play around with.”


 


“Like what!”


 


It was impossible for Joseph not to grin though he felt himself blushing a bit to. “I don't know if I should even really call it an alchemy book. The first potion that involved any true alchemy though was just a weak potion to restore some stamina once you grew fatigued. I never got to see the results of this but apparently she ended up using her father as a test subject to see how well they worked.”


 


“Ah that's sweet.”


 


“I thought so to though I was glad whenever Danlin didn't have any complaints about drinking the potions.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“So what do you think Dan?”


 


“Shouldn't you be waiting for Joseph to actually contact me before I agree or disagree to be on any team? He might have some requirements that I can't agree to Mirin.”


 


“You know that we need to at least be planning ahead encase he does ask you. Besides in all probability you will be one of the team mates he requests after all you're one of the people he knows best and trust most.”


 


“That is true. Mina what do you think?”


 


“I believe that you should do it.”


 


“Alright but who else could watch the shop for me? It has to be someone skilled enough to recognize potential dangers from requests and organized enough to keep track of everything. The majority of those who can handle tasks are already working on projects.”


 


“Well actually Dan. I've been thinking about that and I believe that we should give some of our younger brothers and sisters a chance. Instead of just having one alchemist doing your job I believe that we'll have three of the younger do it.”


 


“I can see the wisdom in that. Even if they aren't as skilled as individuals if they all three specialized in the right disciplines and worked together they could even catch something that I might have missed. Do we have three such candidates though?”


 


“I know of two brothers and I believe that we'll involve a sister as well.”


 


“A sister?”


 


“Yes as long as she wears the protective amulets she won't destroy any of the reagents. Besides a sister's sense of smell could be quite useful in the alchemy shop. I have become suspect of some of the deliveries certain individuals have been making.”


 


“What do you mean? I check those deliveries myself.”


 


“Yes and you are a very skilled alchemist. However, even you have your limits as a human.” For a moment Mirin went quiet and looked away from Dan. “I swear I think some of the lazier members of our society have been bringing in reagents that are lacking. Reagents that should only be brought in if they have been recently picked and have to be preserved quickly.”


 


“It is possible that I could have missed something. Though if you're saying there is a large intake of such materials I believe I'm going to have to reevaluate my methods and may be offended.”


 


“Dan I mean no offense to you or your skills. However, you must admit as a human you wouldn't be able to tell the quality of certain reagents as well as a sister.”


 


“That is true. Still, just how many of these reagents are you talking about?”


 


“I believe that it's averaging five pounds of raw material a day. If this is spread out amongst several delivers I can believe that it is accidental however the way the distribution works. I believe that we have one or two slackers.”


 


“For five pounds to be a cause of frustration I assume these are rather useful reagents we're talking about.”


 


“Indeed.”


 


“Then even if Joseph doesn't approach me would you say that a sister should join me? Also I'm curious as to who you've chosen.”


 


“I believe that Tesa would be a fine choice. Her sense of smell is remarkable and she's had plenty of experience gathering raw materials so she should have no trouble detecting defective reagents.”


 


“Tesa? She's one of our best gatherers though. Don't you think we'll feel the loss in the field?”


 


“She has to move beyond being a gatherer eventually doesn't she?”


 


“That is very true. Though if you don't mind. Before Joseph approaches me could you have Tesa come by the shop? I want to make sure that she's alright with the ideal of working in such a position. She might worry that it'll hinder her progression towards keeper status.”


 


“Indeed, do you have any preference as to what brothers will be working in the shop?”


 


“Actually I do.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“What are you so scared of Joseph?”


 


In response to Kersara's comment Joseph looked up from his plate with a slight grin on his face. “I'm just steadying my nerves. This isn't exactly the type of thing most people eat and most assuredly not what I ever expected to try.” As he finished speaking Joseph picked up a bit of the fish with his fork and quickly placed it within his mouth. His first impulse was to swallow for fear of the taste but he resisted and began to chew.


 


“Well?”


 


Instead of responding right away Joseph continued chewing the fish until he was certain of the flavor and then swallowed. “It's actually quite good.”


 


“I figured you'd like it. You don't eat a lot of fish though do you?”


 


“Well not really. I lived most of my life inland so the fish I did tend to eat was fresh water. This doesn't really taste a whole lot like fish though at least not the fish I'm used to eating.”


 


Now Tesa chose to speak up. “That has something to do with the cooking method that Kersara used. Depending on the method it can have far more of a fishy flavor. Perhaps you'd like to try steel fin some other way at a later date?”


 


“Um no thanks. After all. Isn't this a rare thing to eat?”


 


To this Kersara gave a quick nod. “Yeah pretty rare but I can catch another if you'd like to try it cooked another way or do you just not want to try it cooked another way?”


 


“I really don't like the ideal of bringing out the fishiness. I just don't care for that taste.”


 


“Ah I got you. Maria you haven't said a thing.” Instead of continuing Kersara glanced over at Maria. She was relieved to see that the contents of Maria's plate hadn't vanished entirely. “Is something wrong?”


 


“Nope I'm just taking my time and chewing carefully.” As she finished speaking Maria picked up a piece of the steel fins outer muscle and held it out towards Joseph. “Hey Joseph care to see exactly how tough steel fin can be if you don't try the inner muscle?”


 


“No thanks Maria.”


 


To this Maria gave a quick nod and tossed the fish into her mouth. “Suit yourself. So Kersara did anything happen to you recently? Well anything interesting at least.”

Chapter 10 by happiest_in_shadows

“I saw some ships traveling by the coast while I was out on patrol. I believe that they saw me as well. For a while I retreated into the forest and followed where they couldn't see me encase they tried to land but they didn't. It was strange to see a ship so close to land though. I got to admit that part of me wished that I could let them land and take on some provisions.”


 


Despite what he'd learned of the beast girl's Joseph couldn't help but be surprised by what Kersara had said. “Kersara you serious? You all seem so protective of the forest that I never imagined one of you would say that.”


 


“Well I only said part of me. The wrest of me knows that if I let one ship do it they'll tell friends and then their friends will want to do it. If I just let them take provisions more and more will come to take them and before long the forest will begin to suffer from the constant harvesting. If humans wouldn't abuse the forest so eagerly we wouldn't mind sharing. We just aren't willing to allow our precious home to be destroyed.”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “That's right though I think it's a good ideal to watch such ships. We actually taken in a few claimed from ships for various reasons. Kersara didn't you end up bringing in a ships captain once?”


 


“Yep. His crew had set him adrift. He had no choice but to come to the forest. Last I checked on him he was doing alright though. I'm pretty sure that his keeper is a kind one.”


 


“You don't remember who it was?”


 


“Not really it's been a while you know.”


 


After a moment of silence Joseph chose to speak up. “It seems like that would be quite a massive change for him though. Going from being a captain of men to being a servant with no real choice in most matters. Still, I imagine he was quite grateful that you didn't eat him. Did he try to fight you whenever you approached him.”


 


In response Kersara shook her head. “No. He actually apologized for being there and asked for my understanding of his situation. I think it surprised him whenever I told him that I can sympathize with a bad situation though I know I scared him a bit whenever I explained that he was still an invader in our home though.”


 


“Huh? Maria didn't claim me right away though. Don't you need to wait until the person ever takes something from the forest or you have to save their life?”


 


In response Kersara gave a nod. “That is true so if you're wondering yeah I did save his life. It just wasn't from any beast or monster of the forest. You see the reason his crew had set him adrift is he'd come down with some form of sickness and they were scared to death of it spreading in such a confined space and to be honest they had good reason to fear it spreading. I brought him to the village for treatment after explaining how his life would change once I brought him here.”


 


“I see and he hasn't moved beyond the rank of claimed since you brought him here?”


 


“Not to my knowledge but you know he might have. We try to be fair to those who didn't end up here by any doing of their own or at least if they come from a situation where they had little choice. A group running into the forest to avoid bandits is different then the bandits that chase them into the forest after all. They are always limitations of course.”


 


“What would happen if the people that ran into the forest had children with them? I've never seen any children claimed.”


 


To this Kersara gave a nod. “Children can't be claimed at least not the same way that an adult can be. Typically while the parent is working as one of the claimed the child is raised by some of the sisters and brothers. As most have great hardship moving beyond the rank of claimed and even more difficulty leaving the forest after words this normally isn't a problem. There can be trouble though if one of the parents manages to earn a safe escort out of the forest.”


 


“What would you do?”


 


Before Kersara could speak up Maria chose to. “It depends on how old the child was whenever it was brought in. An infant isn't going to know anything that could be dangerous to us after all. It also depends on how long the parent has been here and thus how old the child. Let's say though that the child was brought here as an infant and the parent managed to earn their life back within a year or two. Then the child would be returned to the parent and the parent would raise the child. However, let's extend that and say the parent took five years to earn their life back. Well then we'd most likely keep the child as one of our own.”


 


“Even though the parent earned their life back?”


 


To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah after all at that age the child may remember something that would be dangerous to us. Going beyond that though the parent failed to protect their child. Of course if the parent agrees to never leave the forest even if they never become a member of our society they can have the child back as that means the threat is gone. So the question becomes. Do they love the child more or do they want that shot at leaving more?”


 


In response Joseph gave a nod. “What would happen if after agreeing to stay the parent tried to flee with the child? After all, you gave me a great deal of freedom whenever I was living alone.”


 


“It's likely that they would be returned to claimed status once they were found and the child would be taken from them. This time it would be for good. Of course, we're talking about a very young child here. Things can get more complicated whenever the child is five or seven years old and especially if the child is older then that. As a claimed a parent can't really take care of them however the child isn't entirely ignorant of the world around them.”


 


“So what tends to happen?”


 


“Well if we let the child learn too much about us then there is no way that we can let it leave. So typically we first try to find someone that has progressed from being a claimed and we believe could take care of the child. You would have been a really good candidate though you never were actually one of the claimed. If that isn't doable then we'd try to find two of the sisters that could tend of the child. It isn't always possible to find a sister that could take on such a task though without risking the child learning too much.”


 


“I see. So the longer the parent takes to move beyond the status of a claimed the less likely they'll ever see their child again?”


 


“The least likely that they will get to see their child again without supervision. That and the less likely they'll get to take the child with them if they try to leave the forest.” As she finished speaking Maria took another bite of fish deciding to leave it up to the others to answer some questions.


 


While Maria was chewing Kersara spoke up. “It's not a situation we're really happy with but that's the situation that occurs from time to time. Of course, they are other complications that can occur. One danger with having a sister raise the child is she's going to bond with the child. If she bonds with the child and begins to see the child as her own it might be impossible to convince her to willingly give up the child and well. If we have to choose between hurting one of our sisters and hurting another we're obviously going to spare our sister.”


 


After a moment of silence Joseph gave a slight nod. “I can understand why you'd feel the need to take such safety measures. So I doubt it's very likely that a parent who ends up being claimed gets to leave the forest with their child.”


 


“It's very unlikely. Fortunately it's a very rare happening to begin with.”


 


“Do you ever wonder if some of your sisters might decide not to bring someone back as a claimed but help them out of the forest instead?”


 


Now Maria chose to speak up. “It's possible that they would help someone indirectly. One time that comes to mind is whenever one of our sisters caught some children lost in the forest. She frightened the day lights out of them and actually guided them back to their village albeit without them realizing what was going on.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “They thought that she was trying to eat them.”


 


“Which sister was this exactly Maria?”


 


“My mother.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Kersara as she gave her head a nod. “My mom told me about Flora during her guardians days. That sounds like something she would do. Your mom really is lucky to have not one but two daughters and who knows she might have a third.”


 


“Yeah I feel lucky to be daughter as well.”


 


Joseph had actually been surprised by this admission from Maria. He'd always thought that the sisters were quite eager to take someone as a claimed. “So do you believe she only did that because they were children?”


 


In response Maria quickly shook her head in the negative. “Na. Of course I can't speak for all of us but its often up to the sister that finds you to decide how to handle the situation.”


 


“I see. So Maria why didn't you just chase me out of the forest?”


 


“Because you'd already seen me kill those guards, chase after and you were too deep into the forest. If we are to chase someone out of the forest then they need to be close enough to the edge that we can convince them that we're serious. If I had to chase you well I would have been chasing you for quite some time. In the condition you were in I don't believe you'd even reached the edge or been anywhere near it before you collapsed.”


 


“Well you have a point there. So are they any ships that you do allow to land on your shores?”


 


“Not anymore. There was one ship and they were a very good trade partner. They quit coming some time while I was asleep though. Whenever I asked what had happened to the trade ship no one could tell me except that they'd quit showing up.”


 


“Has anyone came to you all for protection after someone learned that they were a trading partner with you?”


 


To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah and we do what we can to help them out in the situation. At times a few of us even leave the forest to help them deal with the problem if that's possible. At other times all we can do is welcome them back into the village and see if they're ready to truly join us.”


 


Before Joseph could respond Kersara spoke up. “That or we help them find another place to set up shop. This forest is vast after all and the difference between the humans on one side and the other can be quite surprising.”


 


“Well that is true.”


 


“You know it seems like those that trade with you would want to keep it a secret for several reasons. As even if there is the danger of people discovering what they're doing there is also having the benefit of the resources you can provide. I know about some of the deals you've made and I'm quite certain that your trade partners are making plenty to endure the risk. Have you ever looked for a source of metals and other difficult to obtain items in places other then trade?”


 


This time Maria spoke up. “Indeed we have. There have been attempts to use alchemy and magic to conjure the metal but that doesn't tend to work out well. Such materials are tainted with magic from the start after all and that makes them unfit for many uses whenever it comes to magic. We've also worked on developing compounds that can take the place of the metals and that has met with limited success. Why do you have a theory?”


 


“Unfortunately no. Such work really isn't my area of expertise. I'm far more proficient with living systems.”


 


To this Maria nodded. “It's not something our brothers can give full priority to though. After all the current trade system is enough to supply us with the materials we need and they are other methods if it begins to break down. Right now they're more focused on seeing to our hunger and survival. At times it feels like so little progress has been made though in all the centuries that we've existed.”


 


While only slightly older then Maria in waking years Kersara couldn't help but speak up. “Now hold on right there. Things are a lot better now then they were just fifty years ago. We have a far greater supply of emergency provisions and the health potions have grown much stronger over time. We treat rain shortages that would have once posed a serious problem as minor inconveniences now.”


 


“Well you do have a point. I remember some of the stories that my mother told me. Our brothers have also found a lot of ways to keep the forest healthier as well. Okay. You have to admit though that nothing has really happened to diminish our actual hunger though.”


 


“That is true. Still, we enjoy a better food supply. If it had been fifty years ago we'd all be several centimeters shorter then we are now.”


 


While Joseph found what Maria and Kersara talking about to be interesting he couldn't help but respond. “So you use to be kept to a smaller scale on the whole?”


 


Maria was the one to answer first. “Yes we were. So I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Still if your work with the life bloom proves fruitful we might all get to grow a little larger and diminish our hunger even more.”


 


Upon hearing Maria mention the life bloom Joseph felt his pulse quicken and he immediately looked to the others. “I thought I wasn't suppose to talk about that with others.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Kersara as she shook her head. “Joseph. You're one of our brothers now so we know that you won't be leaving us. Besides don't you intend to further develop the life bloom?”


 


“Well yes.”


 


“It wasn't hearing about the life bloom that upset us. It was the ideal that you were developing it so near by or could be developing and you might decide to leave. That ideal was horrifying to most of us. Now that you're hear to stay though we don't have to worry about that so much anymore. So have you made any progress with it?”


 


Instead of responding right away Joseph turned to Maria. He was a bit surprise whenever she responded verbally. “You don't need to look at me Joseph and don't think Kersara, Tesa and Sora missed that look you gave me. You'd probably should explain to them while you saw fit to look towards me.”


 


“Alright. I've actually managed to grow one of the trees though it is still a small one. It's currently residing within my lab. Maria has actually gotten to sample some of the fruit as well. I'm testing to see if it has any harmful affects on you. I'm also working on gathering enough seeds to grow several more trees so that I can see what happens whenever several are grown within a small area.” As Joseph finished speaking he couldn't help but notice all three of the girls had very large smiles.


 


Tesa actually chose to speak up now. “That's wonderful! So what else do you have to test?”


 


“I need to know how the life bloom interacts with other plant life. If it would be safe to let the life bloom grow wild in the forest or if it would end up choking off all other forms of life. I also have to worry about the energy it allows to bleed into the world around it.”


 


“How do you intend to test and see how it interact with other forms of life?”


 


“In order to do that I'm going to need enough plants and resources to go large scale. As I'll need a confined area that can sustain the life bloom and several other plants. Of course, I don't have the resources to do that kind of testing at the moment. I hope what I'm about to say isn't insulting but are there any large scale testing facilities? At first I never imagined you'd have half the things you do but now I really wonder.”


 


In response Kersara gave a quick nod. “Yeah. Well I guess it depends on what you consider large scale. From the way you've been talking though I'm certain we can provide enough space. It's not like there is much testing done there anymore and if needed we could use some of the sleeping chambers.”


 


“Sleeping chambers?”


 


“It's where we keep those sisters that have been forced to regress their size normally. Over two thirds of them are empty at the moment.”


 


“Why are they so many?”


 


“They're a lot of them in case there is a time of great starvation and most of us have to go to sleep. It's something of a last resort. That's one of the other benefits of being allowed to keep a larger body though. We can sleep longer and not have to worry about death if such a situation should arise.”


 


“I see. Well if there is enough room to accommodate all of you girls I'm certain there would be enough space. Is there a way to provide the plant life with what they need to sustain themselves though?”


 


“Sure there is. We'd have to temporarily modify the chambers but that shouldn't be an issue. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the chambers were already modified encase similar testing had to be done. Oh and if they aren't advanced enough there is always the testing facilities in the citadel.”


 


“Kersara the citadel has been mentioned before what is it though?”


 


“The citadel was the Luvarian's main base in the forest and where we were developed. We've protected it and kept in intact so it's still operational though they are some issues.”


 


“Like what?”


 


Before Kersara could speak up Maria chose to. “We can only get into so many of the rooms currently. Certain areas of the citadel were restricted to high ranking members of the Luvarians. Whenever our leader died though we lost access to them as they're protected and sealed by very powerful spells and glyphs. We've managed to find our way into a few of the rooms but many of them are still locked to us.”


 


“What do you have to do to get in?”


 


“The protective spells have to recognize you as a high enough ranking member of the Luvarians. The way we managed to get access to some of the lower level rooms is our brothers convinced the spells that they were Luvarians and had sufficient rank.”


 


“I mean is there a password or item you have to present?”


 


In response Maria shook her head. “Not as far as we can tell. You see the spells are very advanced they even seem to be sentient to an extent. They respond to two things we've identified so far. The intent of the person entering the room and their knowledge. At least that's how it works for our brothers they seem to respond differently to us.”


 


“How do they respond to you?”


 


“It seems like they're set to respond to our power. As far as we can tell the spells realize that we aren't Luvarians but rather they know that we are creations of the Luvarians. A powerful creation probably belongs to a powerful member of the Luvarians and thus should be allowed to pass. Effectively the spells think that we're guards and only the most powerful guards are allowed into the most sensitive areas. However, we've only managed to get so far.”


 


“So they're some rooms that haven't been inspected in all this time?”


 


“Oh no. They're a few beings in the citadel that can go anywhere they want. We just really can't communicate with them.”


 


“Are you serious?”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah I am. I've seen them a few times when I was allowed to look around the citadel. We wanted to see how the glyphs would respond to my presence. We haven't ever really been able to examine the guards but we believe that they're earlier models of us.”


 


“If they're earlier models how are they more powerful?”


 


“They're more powerful then us physically. What's going on inside their heads we don't know. Also their eyes aren't quite like ours they're just one solid color. We don't even know if anything is going on inside of their heads.”


 


“Have you ever had a confrontation with them?”


 


“I haven't and there hasn't been one recent but one occurred whenever one of the brothers tried to enter a room with the wrong intent. You see normally the glyphs just act like a wall so long as you don't push them. We've found that they respond very differently though if you meet the power requirements but have the wrong intent.”


 


“What happened?”


 


“Kersara you know this story better then me would you explain it?”


 


“Sure. Apparently one of our brothers had become frustrated with our life style and how the citadel would only let us in so far. He thought that we had become bound to the citadel and had been for all these centuries so he wanted to free us. That's what he claimed at least. So he entered one of the protected rooms with the intent to destroy the contents. He was nearly killed by the protective spells. He would have been killed if a sister hadn't been with him to take the larger portion of the attack though she didn't know what he was thinking of doing. To give you an ideal of how powerful the spell was though the sister in question was a keeper and even she barely survived.”


 


“One of the brothers tried to destroy the citadel? How did you know that was his intent.”


 


“I'll get to that in a bit. Anyway, after the glyph went on several went to check on him. However, one of the protectors showed up a short while later to see what had happened. I guess it was there to insure that the glyph had killed the intruder. Naturally the sisters and brothers there didn't know why the glyph had gone off so they tried to protect the brother. It didn't end so well. I wasn't there as this was a while back but it was even more one sided then fighting Mina from what I hear. It didn't evade any of the punches but it didn't have to none of the keepers there could even harm it. No one died though.”


 


“So they ran away?”


 


In response Kersara shook her head. “No. The protector dispatched the sisters and seemed immune to the attacks of the brothers as well. Yet one of our brothers put himself between the protector and a sister. For some reason the protector stopped attacking whenever he just stood there and looked at him for a long while. After around ten minutes the protector finally turned and returned to whatever she had been doing before hand.”


 


“Ten minutes? It sounds like the protector was uncertain of what it should do.”


 


“That's the most commonly accepted guess so we believe that they do have some intelligence. The brother that blocked her assault was one of the ones that could pass into the protected room and unlike the other he didn't mean any harm. I guess that the protector decided that he was a Luvarian and was challenging her for command of the situation. For whatever reason the protector relented and let him have the command even though it could have killed him in one strike. It was later that they found out the brother had meant to destroy the contents of the room.”


 


“I suppose no one was too happy about that.”


 


“He was executed for it.”


 


In response Joseph gave a slight nod. “That isn't surprising. I suppose the brothers decided such behavior couldn't be tolerated especially amongst their own.”


 


“What makes you believe it was the brothers who made the decision?”


 


“Well it just seems they'd be the most likely to call for an execution over such a situation. After all that room may have had the key to ending your hunger. A goal that we all seem to be working towards quite actively.”


 


“Yeah and you were right. The sisters didn't really have time to dwell on it or become angry over the traitorous actions. As soon as the brothers were able to conjure up his intentions at the time they had him executed. Of course our brothers still insist that the information isn't entirely certain as they can't exactly retest the event. Given what happened with the protector they probably wouldn't even let it be tested.”


 


“Have there been any other encounters with a protector?”


 


“Yeah. They've not always been bad either. In one case one of our brothers was researching a tome in the library we have access to and something went wrong. A glyph inside the book began to respond he was able to recognize it as a hostile spell but couldn't defend against it in time. Before the spell went off though a protector placed her hand on the book and absorbed all the magic. She then took the book away from him placed it where it was previously and escorted him out of the library.”


 


“Are you serious?”


 


“Yeah. They were actually quite nervous whenever he tried to enter the library again not certain if he had been permanently banished or not. None of the protectors responded though.”


 


“They do remind me a lot of you and your sisters. Do you have any ideal of what they eat though?”


 


“None. We tried offering them food and even some magic items. They actually inspected the magic items for a bit. Took a few of them a few times as well though they didn't take them very far. They carried them to a storage room and set them within some unsecured cases and just left them there. As a test we had one of our swifter sisters go in there and pick up the items but the protectors made no move to stop her. After some inspection we found out the room was used to store magic items of low value that kind of insulted a lot of our brothers.”


 


“I take it they worked quite hard to make those items.”


 


“Yeah. However, in the eyes of the protectors they were low value items and the wrest of the items provided weren't even worth noticing. I have a feeling if we'd left them there they'd been crushed to scrap and tossed away.”


 


“Did you find anything else in that room?”


 


“Nothing that I know of. From what I know it was pretty empty before we got there I assumed it was emptied out by the Luvarians before hand.”


 


“So can just anyone go to the citadel?”


 


“Not unless you have a reason like your experiments for an example.”


 


“Ah I see. I'm not sure if I would feel safe working there though. Besides we don't even know if I could get into the lab to conduct my research. Didn't you say that the glyphs responded to power?”


 


“They do. However, the power can be mental or physical it seems. We've seen some very well educated sisters go past some of the glyphs that would keep out most keepers while these sisters were only guardian size. Once again it's speculated that the glyphs recognized the sister as an important construct due to her education. After all not every magic user is content with a mindless servant that can't think for itself.”


 


“Hey Kersara could I have some more fish?”


 


Upon looking to Maria's plate Kersara was a bit surprised to see she'd emptied it. “Have I been talking that much or did you just start eating without regard to the remainder?”


 


“Um well. Joseph could I have some of yours.”


 


“Sure Maria.” As he spoke Joseph took his fork and used it to put some of his foot in Maria's plate. As he did so he was a bit surprised to see how the others were looking at him. “Is something wrong?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Tesa as she shook her head. “No. It's just the way you looked right now was a bit surprising. I believe you humans give one another sweet things as a sign of affection right?”


 


“Well yes.”


 


“Well in our culture sharing a meal with a sister is quite a gesture. Be careful of what sisters you do it with or you might give them the wrong ideal.”


 


“Oh I see. Thanks for the information.”


 


Before Tesa could respond Maria spoke up. “Yeah and thanks for the extra.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Good morning sleepy head!”


 


Upon hearing the energetic voice Joseph gave a slight jump and nearly toppled out of his bed. Upon looking towards the window he was quite surprised to see Pera in a crouched position standing there. “Pera! What are you doing there!”


 


“I learned that you moved to the village and decided to come and pay you a visit.”


 


Instead of responding right away Joseph took a moment to look at the window. He was relived to see that it wasn't broken though it was the first time he noticed there wasn't a lock. “I see. Well it's good to see you but please don't enter into my home without permission.”


 


“I'm not inside though.”


 


“Well.” A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “You're smart enough to know what you were doing wrong.” It actually surprised Joseph whenever he noticed the expression on Pera's face.


 


“Wow. I didn't expect that response.” A slight giggle escaped Pera as she gave her head a nod. “Okay that was me being naughty. Still aren't you sleeping a bit late?”


 


“I was up late last night speaking with a few of our sisters.”


 


“The greeting dinner. It smells like you had quite a nice one. I should have decided to come and visit you sooner. So have you been taken to see your new workshop yet? I bet they've moved all your belongings there already.”


 


“Not yet and to be honest it's making me kind of worried. I guess that they want to give me some time to settle in. It still makes me concerned though that I haven't seen any of my work since I prepared it for transport.”


 


“Want me to take you there?”


 


“You can do that?”


 


“Sure! Just get dressed and I'll show you the way to the building. Well I'll carry you. It'd take too long if you were to walk. They're probably just making sure everything is prepared though.”


 


“Pera, you're going to carry me? Don't you believe that would be a bit awkward.”


 


“Hey! I'm strong enough.”


 


“I don't doubt that I just mean don't you think it would be very uncomfortable? If not for you I'm pretty sure it would be for me.”


 


“Ah good point. Hm. I know! I'll go and fetch Maria and she can take you. Though I have to say I'm surprised that she isn't here visiting with you. Aren't you two a couple now?”


 


“Yes we are.”


 


Upon hearing the voice both Joseph and Pera looked to the roof of the building to find Maria standing on it. It was Pera that spoke. “Good morning Maria.”


 


“Good morning Pera. I see you woke up Joseph early.”


 


“Early? It's not early Maria.”


 


“I didn't mean early in the day I meant earlier then I intended for him to be woken up.”


 


“Ah well. So you were letting him sleep in?”


 


Before continuing Maria quickly hopped down off the roof so she was standing near the window. “Indeed I was. You see today I'm going to begin Joseph's exercise routine so I wanted him to get plenty of wrest.”


 


While Joseph was glad to see Maria he was actually surprised by her declaration that they would be starting an exercise routine. Instead of responding right away though his mind turned to their previous conversation about his physical condition. “We only just became a couple and you're already planning to get my lazy tail in gear huh?”


 


“You're darn right I am.”


 


“Good to know. What's in the bag though?”


 


Instead of just telling Joseph Maria turned and opened it up so that he could see inside. “I went around the forest and gathered up some of my favorite fruits for us to eat for breakfast. I figure you can eat a nice breakfast first. Then after giving the food some time to digest we'll head towards your new workshop. Along the way I can get a better ideal of your physical condition.”


 


Well before Joseph could respond Pera spoke up. “Can I join you!”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she looked at Pera. “I take it you see something in here you like.”


 


“Well yeah.”


 


“Joseph it's up to you.”


 


“Um, well alright then sure. Would you two mind going around to the front door and I'll be there in a moment. I kind of need to get cleaned up.”


 


Before turning to leave Maria gave a nod. “Be sure to put on something comfortable.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“I guess Stella has Allen away doing something. She's probably seeing to his lessons if Pera is going around visiting people.” As she spoke Maria pressed her tail gently against Joseph's back to get him to speed up once again. She'd been holding the same pace for five minutes now but Joseph kept wanting to slow back down. As she listened to his heart and muscles though she knew that he could keep the pace up for quite a while longer even if he didn't.


 


Joseph was having a hard time respond to Maria as he ran along side of her. As he moved he also couldn't help but feel rather silly as they moved past various homes. “I must look- so slow.”


 


“You're doing fine for a human who hasn't exercised in a while. Joseph you're slowing down again.”


 


Instead of responding to Maria Joseph continued to slow down even as he felt Maria's tail pressing against him. As he seemed to be leaning into the fury extension he was a bit surprised whenever he felt a sharp pain in his but and he quickly sped up. “Ouch! What-” As he spoke Joseph glanced back and noticed Maria had one of her hands behind him with one of her claws extended. “You poked me!”


 


“Yep.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she stuck her tongue out at Joseph. “If my tail isn't enough to speed you up I'm going to have to use a more convincing method. Now if you lean against my tail for ten seconds I'm going to give you another poke in the rear.”


 


“Maria is that really called for?”


 


“Yes. Yes it is.”


 


It was impossible for Joseph not to grin as he shook his head. “I swear you take this very seriously. Ouch!”


 


“I meant ten seconds whenever I said it.”


 


Normally Joseph would have found himself getting upset in such a situation. Instead of getting angry with Maria he felt himself grinning though he did pick up the pace. “So is this what Mina did with Dan?”


 


“I never actually asked her but I'd guess so. Now keep in mind I'm only getting an ideal of what condition you're in right now. Move your arms.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“Swing your arms like I am don't let them lay limp to your sides.”


 


“You're kidding-”


 


“I'll poke you some more.”


 


Instead of continuing to question Maria Joseph found himself swinging his arms as she ran along side of him. As his arms began to move though he felt her tail brushing against his back and immediately sped up his pace. It actually surprised him whenever he felt Maria's palm against his chest. “Huh?”


 


“Not so fast. You won't last long if you try to run like that.”


 


“You can really tell all that?”


 


“I'm listening to your heart rate, your breathing, I can smell your body responding and I can even hear your blood going throughout your body and other things. Joseph I'm not going to cause you to wreck your body but I need you to trust me that whenever I say you can keep going you can keep going.”


 


“Alright. So is there anything I should tell you about?”


 


“Yeah let me know if you begin to feel any pain especially if it's very localized.”


 


In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “You seem to know a lot about this.”


 


“Of course I do. We have to know about the bodies of our brothers if we're going to avoid injuring you. Plus all of us get plenty of practice cutting things up and seeing how they work. It's really helpful in food preparation and securing alchemical ingredients as well. After all whenever we're asked to bring back a heart of some kind they mean an intact heart more often then not. If we didn't know what we were doing we'd almost always bring them back a bunch of pieces of heart.”


 


“So you know a great deal about biology?”


 


“I know enough for general gathering. They're some sisters who've been trained in a wide variety of creatures so they can retrieve what they need. Typically they're sent along if there is a very specific organ we have to recover. I really hate whenever they send us out to get something from a hybrid species.”


 


“Why is that?”


 


“The organs aren't always where you would expect them to be.”


 


“Ouch!”


 


“You slowed down.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Here you are.”


 


As the brother brought him into the room the first thing Joseph did was scan it for the life bloom. His eyes immediately fell upon the plant setting peacefully in a stream of sunshine. He showed no hesitation in walking over to it and examining the plant. He wasn't surprised to find that it was exactly how he'd left it but he felt that he had to check. He then began to search the room for the seeds that he'd been working on.


 


“Is something wrong?”


 


“There was a container of seeds in my lab. Could you tell me where they are?”


 


In response the brother walked over to a cabinet and touched an emblem upon it. A bright flash of light escaped the emblem and he proceeded to open it. “I'll need you to let me set the emblem to recognize you before I leave but here are your seeds.”


 


“A magically secured lock?”


 


“They appeared quite valuable from the way you tended to them so we felt they should be secured as safely as possible.”


 


“Isn't this entire facility secure? Pardon me but I don't believe I caught your name. I think you told me when I arrived but I was a bit winded to listen.”


 


“No problem and the name is Daren. As for your question. Well yes the entire facility is secure but they are the occasional issues. Rarely are they intentional but they have been misunderstandings and genuine mistakes. One example that comes to mind happened recently. One of our researchers had been given permission to borrow some basilisk blood for an experiment but he took the wrong container of blood.”


 


“Wasn't it marked clearly?”


 


“Yes but the researcher in question is still quite young.” For a moment Daren felt tempted to say that he didn't believe the researcher in question shouldn't even have clearance to enter such rooms but held his tongue on that part.


 


“Ah. Well there is no harm in keeping your main valuables in a secure place. Now I have to say. This place is amazing!”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Daren as he nodded his head. “Well I'm glad that you like it. We try to steadily improved the equipment here though I hope you'll understand if all the work areas don't have the same level of improvements. You're getting special treatment to an extent due to the importance of what you're working on.”


 


“I suppose this area is where you'd like me to grow a few additional plants.” As he spoke Joseph walked over to a large table with a massive cavity in it. He then turned his attention to the crystal above the opening and immediately recognized it as a sun stone though a very tiny one. It was still something he was far from being able to afford before hand. “If I'm getting special treatment it seems I should get to work right away.”


 


“Well first you should come over here and let me set this glyph to recognize you. You might want to consider picking a team to help you with your research before you begin growing several.”


 


“Wow. You're all being surprisingly patient.”


 


“This is an issue we've been working on for hundreds of years most have learned to take keep things in perspective. I should tell you this isn't the first time we've believed that we had our sisters hunger taken care of. The last few times though things didn't work out so well.”


 


“What did you try?”


 


“Once we tried using magic items that would constantly supply the sisters with energy. The problem was that the sisters didn't just absorb the energy they were suppose to. Their bodies also went after the energy that maintained the steady flow of power to the medallion and over time the items degraded. There was also the difficulty of producing the items. In the end it was realized that we wouldn't be able to meet the demand.”


 


In response Joseph gave a nod. “That must have been frustrating. Have you had any luck in recreating the method the Luvarians used?”


 


“Unfortunately no. Such knowledge was undoubtedly powerful and thus kept in rooms we have yet to gain access to.”


 


“Alright. Well how do I go about picking my team?”


 


“You can pick from amongst people you know or if you'd like I can provide you with a detailed listing of our brothers and what they're currently working on and opinions on their mentality. A list of sisters can also be provided and their current status as well as opinions on their mentality.”


 


“Why do you keep data in regards to their mentality?”


 


“Well we're not going to promote a foolish brother to a rank of authority no matter how skilled they are. Some magical mishaps and poor choices have taught us that a foolish brother wielding powerful magic or alchemy can be even more dangerous then an angry sister. At least an enraged sister can be taken hold of and restrained by another or several sisters. An explosion can be quite a bit harder to take hold of.”


 


“At least they can be more dangerous to other brothers?”


 


“That is true. Sometimes it's truly astounding the amount of energy our sisters can endure and not be harmed.”


 


“You said astounding but does it ever frighten you?”


 


“Why would I be afraid of my sisters strength?” For a moment Daren was silent but then a grin formed on his face. “No. I was raised here though so I never saw a reason to be scared of my sisters strength. One thing I do find frightening though is an enraged sister and you'd be wise to do the same. They might be our sisters but even they are affected by emotions.”


 


“You know. None of the others seemed to really talk about that.”


 


“They don't tend to think about it and we don't like to bring it up. I will say this. You'd be wise to keep in mind that our sisters are people to and you should never take advantage of them. Even if they care for you deeply it would only take an instant for one to remove your head during a moment of blind passion. You should also be very careful about putting yourself in the middle of their fights. I'm talking physically of course.”


 


“So getting involved verbally is fine?”


 


“It depends on the nature of the fight. At times it's really best just to let them fight things out. Anyway, why don't you examine your lab and I'll go and fetch that list of names?”


 


“Actually. I do have one choice already. I would like Dan, Mina's husband to come work with me.”


 


“Husband? Oh you mean mate.” In response Daren gave a quick nod. “Well I can't promise that he'll come but if you want I'll go have someone inform him.”


 


“Thanks would it also be possible to get Carter to come here? I can't tell you his last name or parents name as it were but he's a mage that helped me earlier.”


 


“Mm I believe I know which Carter you're talking about. That might be a little tougher but I'll see what can be done. In the end it is their choice after all.”


 


“Is he currently occupied?”


 


“Carter helps with a lot of projects that call for magic. I'm not sure if having him devoted entirely to one project will be doable but once again I'll see what can be done.”


 


“Alright. I'll just be keeping myself busy here then.”


 


“I should be back soon.”


 


As Joseph watched Daren leave his mind turned to Maria. He'd expected her to come see his lab but she'd told him that she needed to be going. Apparently she'd spent most of her free time making him run. The thought made him chuckle and remember the showers. Part of the facility included a rather large bath area encase the researchers felt the need to get cleaned off for one reason or the other. Joseph couldn't help but wonder how many researchers had a similar experience to himself. Of course they were probably used to insure no residue remained after one was done working primarily.


 


It felt odd to Joseph to think that Maria had a task to perform. From her general behavior she seemed so active and carefree like she had nothing but time on her hands. That impression had faded away a bit whenever she said she needed to be off. Of course, her speed might have been the reason she had so much free time. Even as these thoughts played in his mind Joseph searched the lab and soon found what he was looking. A large bag of soil for the life bloom to grow in.


 


As Joseph began to empty the soil into the opening beneath the sun crystal he found himself looking around the room. His attention quickly came to wrest upon the automated mixers he'd noticed. The machines had been designed so that they could keep an alchemical reaction at a certain preset concentration and temperature in order to free up the alchemist from monitoring them. All one had to do is set the timers, temperatures and put the reagents in the proper place and the machine would take care of the wrest.


 


There had been a few such devices in the larger labs whenever he'd been working for the Gale kingdom but none in his. At least none as complex as the one he found himself looking at. The two that resided in his lab now appeared to be able to handle at least twelve different stages each and probably had some features that the ones he'd seen previously didn't. One thing he noted was several devices that appeared to be designed to agitate the reactants. What surprised him even more though was that there were a few devices that seemed like they might be used to actually remove something from the potion before it was finished.


 


Such devices were amazingly complex to make and could only be done so by the most skilled craftsmen. Even then finding one with the skill and knowledge was exceptionally rare and securing their help was even more difficult. Was the machine from when the Luvarians were active in the forest or did the sisters have it made recently? In order to answer this Joseph scanned the device for an emblem and soon found one but to his dismay he didn't recognize the mark.


 


He would be able to make good use of such a device though regardless. The bag going empty took Joseph's attention from the automated alchemical assistant and he began to examine more of the lab as he evened out the soil. The beakers and flask he noted in the room appeared to be glass when he first entered but as he noted them more closely he wasn't certain anymore. He knew of specially made containers used for holding particularly powerful reagents he never expected to be working in a room full of them though.


 


Lifting his hands from the soil Joseph made his way over to the cabinet where the seeds had been stored and retrieved them. As he did he noted the glyph and nearly smacked himself. He'd distracted Daren and they hadn't taken the time to set the glyph to recognize him. Now if he shut it then he wouldn't be able to open it back up. A sigh escaped Joseph as he resolved to ask Daren to set it whenever he returned and made his way over to the soil and planted four of the seeds he'd taken from the life bloom. As he planted them he retrieved some water from the sink and began to spread it over them.


 


“Well I guess if I'm going to have some assistants I'm going to have to find some sisters other then Maria to experiment on. I bet Dan will be able to help me with that don't you? After all just one test subject isn't going to work but I still feel strange using living sentient beings like test subjects. I know that they won't be happy if I make them go slow like I did Maria but then again I can't use Maria as a representative sample. She has that mutation that makes her even faster then her sisters after all and while I don't know the details that means there is a difference in their genetics.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“So Alex how are you doing?”


 


In response to Markus's comment Alex gave his head a slight shake. “This is harder then I expected it to be.” As Alex spoke he looked up towards Markus. Currently he held a small shovel in one hand. He'd been attempting to dig a flower from the ground but so far his efforts had proven futile.


 


“Let me see what you're doing.” As he spoke Markus watched intently as Alex pressed the shovel into the ground but spoke up before he could begin working. “Not like that if you do it like that you're just going to hurt your wrist. Here let me show you how to hold it.” As he spoke Markus climbed down and took the shovel from Alex he then began to carefully work it into the dirt. “You see this way you don't hurt your wrist and you can get far more power into the push.”


 


“Ah I see. I hope that teaching me isn't too trying of an experience but I'm not used to this kind of thing.”


 


“It's not a problem. I knew that I'd have to teach you some things whenever I requested you be moved beyond the rank of claimed. Though at the rate we're going it's going to be several months before we're ready to depart from this place.”


 


“That doesn't sound so bad considering that I was one of the claimed not too long ago. I didn't even know if I would ever have a chance to depart. It must be a different story for you though.”


 


“I'm just glad that the date to get back to anything pressing has long since past. All the opportunities I had made for myself are long since dead by now. Of course I knew the foolish risk I was taking whenever I stepped into this damn forest.”


 


“You mean you knew that you might lose your life. I doubt you knew you'd end up a slave. None of us did.”


 


“That is true. You know it's pretty pathetic that they claim we're better then the claimed. If we don't work for them we won't be fed and we can even lose our shelter. If we do something to upset them we lose all sense of freedom and have to return to doing exactly what they told us to do. We're slaves we just get to pick what kind of labor we do for our masters.”


 


“Yeah and the claim that we can leave at any time we want is laughable. They know that humans will have great difficulty making it through the forest. In all likelihood a lone traveler would end up being killed before they escaped from this forest. Even if they're not killed if one of them happens to save our lives again we end up being brought back here and returned to our full slave status. I wonder if they truly let people leave though. It would be simple to set things up to insure those departing would fail.”


 


“Yet here we are planning our escape from this slave pin.”


 


“At least with two of us it improves our odds. Then again they may just decide to kill us and let the others think we either succeeded in escaping or were killed by something else. I'm certain you had already thought of all this though before you made your deal though.”


 


A sigh escaped Markus as he shook his head. “I don't believe that they'd be so bold as to openly kill us with all they go on about being honest. However, it wouldn't be hard to stir a pack of those damn tuskers in our direction and then claim that we were on their path. I intend for us to leave whenever they'll be the most distracted.”


 


“Huh? Are you serious? From the way you talked before it sounded like we'd leave as soon as I was ready.”


 


“Well I'm hoping that will be when you're ready. You're making good progress so it seems likely you'll be prepared before that time.”


 


“Just when is this most likely time though?”


 


“Whenever those beast have a reason to feast. They become so focused on their food during such events that they probably won't notice our departure until several days later.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


As Maria took in several breaths of air she could easily make out the scent. A large number of kobolds had recently passed through the area. As she followed the scent she soon came upon visual proof as well. The creatures' natural desire for destruction was quite apparent in the paths they used as hardly any trees could be found unharmed. Various ax and sword marks could be seen as well as several clubs. It frustrated Maria to see such destruction to her home so that she quickly renewed her pursuit of the kobolds.


 


When the Luvarians had made the forest they'd meant for it to supply a massive amount of reagents to their efforts. One form of reagent was life energy from sentient beings. Using humans for this tended to be frowned upon but th Luvarians had found an alternative that was easier to get hold of and replace. Kobolds were indeed sentient beings and reproduced rapidly. They could also be manipulated so they had designed the forest with a section meant to support but also contain kobolds. They had placed several dangerous species of plants and animal life around the section that would keep the kobolds from spreading too far into the forest for the most part and harvested them when needed.


 


Maria had no doubt that at one time it had been an effective resource but now it had become a source of frustration for her sisters. Without regular harvesting the kobolds numbers swelled rapidly and soon grew large enough to breach the confines through force of those numbers. This was whenever Maria and her sisters had to reduce their population greatly. They had tried to go beyond that though. Unlike the Luvarians who had facilities throughout the region to support the sisters had little use for so many kobolds so instead of treating them as a crop they'd tried to exterminate them on numerous occasions.


 


It was something that they had failed to do in every attempt. The first few times had been the sisters acting on their own and with no regard to planning. They didn't need it after all. They just tore through the kobolds killing everything they saw, heard or smelt and figured the task was taken care of. In the end though some kobolds had survived and replenished their numbers each time. The fourth time the brothers had become involved and their had been a great deal more structure imposed upon the attacks in hopes of giving the area a clean sweep. The brothers had even assigned sisters to patrol the area for months after the slaughter to insure all the kobolds were dead.


 


It hadn't worked though. Despite the greater organization some kobolds had managed to survive and develop in the area. It had seemed like an explosion. One day the sisters who were patrolling returned to the village talking of an explosion of kobolds from beneath the ground. There had been so many that they had been forced to retreat. It had later been found that some of the kobolds who had survived had taken refuge in their underground caves and replenished their numbers before rushing back to the surface. Of course neither the brothers or sisters had been happy about this so they tried again.


 


Regardless of how careful they were though they never truly managed to wipe out the nest of the kobolds. After so many failed attempts they had finally decided to just control the population until they could devote more effort to insuring the kobolds were exterminated. Now it seemed like they were going to have to take steps to reduce the kobold population again.


 


“Get away from me!” Even as she called out Xelaney knew the creatures wouldn't listen to her. At least not until she forced them to listen. As the dryad reshaped her finger so that it shot out like a javelin she pierced the skull of the nearest kobold before withdrawing her finger and letting lose several more attacks killing the creatures.


 


Upon hearing the words Maria quickly hastened her pace. She hadn't smelt a human in the forest though she knew they were other creatures in the forest that sounded human. As she dashed in the direction of the sound she was soon met with the smell of kobold blood. What awaited her ahead of the sent was a site that was unwelcome though not entirely uncommon. A dyrad currently stood in front of her tree with several kobolds surrounding her. She'd already struck down several though it hardly seemed to diminish their numbers. “Are you alright?”


 


Upon hearing the voice Xelaney quickly turned in Maria's direction. She'd encountered the sisters before and felt a good deal of relief. “I could use some help.”


 


In response Maria didn't answer verbally but quickly leaped towards the kobolds. Before the creatures had time to respond she lashed out with her claws and felt them easily slice through the throats of the creatures. Even before the creature could recognize that it had been dealt a mortal wound Maria struck out at its friends dealing each one of them a similar wound before moving to the next group of kobolds. Why they were attacking a dryad Maria didn't know but at the moment she didn't care.


 


A sigh escaped the dryad as Maria began to tear through the kobolds. While she'd felt certain she could deal with her attackers she had great fear of being badly injured in the attack. Now that didn't seem it was going to happen. “Thank you miss.”


 


“You're welcome.” Even as she spoke Maria pushed off the ground and leaped back into the trees to avoid being surrounded by the creatures. She then wasted no time moving to the outside of the ring that had tried to surround her and resuming her work. “Just what is going on here though.”


 


“Um shouldn't I wait for you to finish?”


 


“No. This is about as involved as picking fruit.”


 


Instead of responding right away Xelaney took a moment to watch Maria. After a few moments of trying to follow Maria's movements it became clear that Maria wasn't bluffing. “They started attacking me two days ago after one of them noticed me. I don't know why but for several days now increasingly large groups have been trying to capture or kill me. So far I've been able to drive them off.”


 


“Three days.” For a moment Maria slowed down as she left a group of kobolds on the forest floor bleeding to death. By now the other kobolds had realized the situation and began to flee. “That's rather strange. Normally whenever kobolds encounter strong resistance they just pass the area by and take a different path. You don't seem too fearful though.”


 


“I was nearly to the point of asking for help from my fellow protectors of the forest.”


 


“Ah yeah at times I forget you dryads aren't exactly lacking for allies in this forest. You know you can call upon us whenever you're being attacked though.”


 


In response Xelaney gave a nod. “I know. Do you believe that they'll leave me alone now?”


 


“Given that this is the third day that they've attacked you. No I don't. Even if they do it wouldn't surprise me if they waited until the weather changed so you'd be weaker to try again. Three days in a row though. It looks like the kobolds are beginning to unify somewhat.”


 


“What do you mean?”


 


“When I first noticed that they'd come this far into the forest I guessed that their numbers had reached the breaching point again. When that happens they tend to spill out in every direction though or the directions of least resistance. If they're constantly attacking you though it means they're being directed to do so or motivated by something. Probably both really. Which means that something or one of the kobolds has gained enough authority amongst them to act as a leader.”


 


“So they're intentionally targeting me.”


 


“Not you exactly but a dryad. Given that it's kobolds we're talking about their leader probably got it into his head that if he drinks your blood or eats some part of you he'll become immortal or gain some great power.”


 


A frown formed of Xelaney's face as she listened to Maria. “Where do so many come up with such ridiculous ideals? If I was such a powerful being that just by eating part of me one could become immortal do they really think I'd let them take it or that they could?”


 


“No ideal.”


 


“Will you help me?”


 


“Of course! The kobolds having a leader powerful enough to organize them in numbers is almost as annoying as having their numbers grow too large. I'll get some of my sisters together and we'll just go kill the best decorated kobolds and a few thousand of them. That should put an end to this annoyance.”


 


“A few thousand?”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Even if their numbers haven't reached the breaking point they've still stepped outside of their territory. We clearly need to remind them exactly what their place in this forest is.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“So you already planted the seeds?”


 


In response Joseph gave a quick nod. “Yeah there isn't a lot to do once they're planted just keep them watered and wait for them to grow. How did your patrol go today Maria?”


 


“Alright the kobolds are pushing outside of their boundary again. A few of my sisters went to deal with the problem once I reported back after helping a dryad out. Not that she really needed help at the time.”


 


“A dryad? Was that part of the Luvarians' original design?”


 


“As far as we know it was. Dryads can be good sources of very useful reagents after all. Especially if you're on good terms with them.”


 


“So the dryads weren't a crop like the kobolds?”


 


In response Maria quickly shook her head. “Not as far as we can tell. They were more like tenants back whenever the Luvarians controlled the forest and paid with bits and pieces of their flesh from time to time. At least from what we were able to gather from the records they keep. Particularly helpful dryads were given special consideration it seems.”


 


“What did they do?”


 


“They were protected more intently and tended to more carefully then the others who were less willing to help out. The records we found were backed up by some of the dryads we've encountered as well. So what are you going to do once this new crop of life blooms have been grown.”


 


“I hope to transplant them into a large garden and begin harvesting the fruit for testing and the seeds to grow more. Daren was in here earlier helping me to pick out team members. I'll have to decide on some sisters to help with testing once the other team members have been finalized.”


 


“What! You mean I'm going to have to share with others? Aren't I test subject enough.”


 


“Maria. It takes more then one sample to do a thorough test. You could just be a special case that can handle the life bloom safely. That or they may be some sisters that just can't process it well.”


 


“Humph well that stinks. So who do you plan on adding to your team?”


 


“I was thinking Dan and Carter would be good first choices. However, that's kind of because they're some of the few brothers that I actually know.”


 


“So just the three of you?”


 


“That's all we need I believe. What are you going to do about the kobolds?”


 


“I'm not absolutely certain. Before I left the dryad I called for a few of my sisters and we went to the kobolds layer and dealt with some of them. We couldn't find anyone that might have been the leader though so we went back and explained that had happened to the dryad. She seemed content and we came back and told our brothers. They weren't so content with the fact that we couldn't find the kobolds leader and seemed like they wanted more done.”


 


“So they sent additional sisters to thin them out even more. Do you believe they'll send you back their tomorrow in greater numbers?”


 


“Not really. They'll probably assign other sisters to the task and leave us to our regular patrols if the group they sent after mine doesn't make any progress. I guess I can understand why they'd be upset. We're on pretty good terms with the dryads of this forest and they probably don't want anything putting a strain on that relationship.”


 


“How could this possibly strain the relationship?”


 


“Well they might not feel we're doing our fair share of the work. At least they might feel we're doing too little for what we ask of them in return.”


 


“You mean alchemical reagents?”


 


“That and other things. So. Got any fruit for me to eat!”


 


At first Joseph didn't quite register what Maria had said due to the frequency and speed with which she'd said it. When he did finally realize what she'd asked a grin formed on his face. “Yes I do actually. I know lately I've just been letting you eat bits and slices but I believe today we can move up to an entire life bloom. Just make sure that you don't eat the seed I need that.”


 


“Yay! Gimme and I won't eat the seed.”


 


“I'm glad you like these.” As he spoke Joseph made his way over to the plant and retrieved one of the fruit. “I figure that I should do some testing and insure that for the most part if not in all cases the life bloom is safe for you and your sisters to eat.”


 


As she took the fruit from Joseph Maria had to resist the urge to bite through it right away. “Then you'll be ready to start growing the life bloom in mass?”


 


“Yeah. If it turns out that the life bloom is poisonous to your sisters or to a moderate number of them then there won't be much of a reason to go large scale. At least not until that problem is fixed.”


 


“Ah! Why not?” As she finished speaking Maria quickly sunk her teeth into the fruit.


 


“Well it's not like it'll do much good if it kills or makes one in five of you sick.”


 


“Now that isn't true. While there might be some that couldn't eat it you could free up more food for those who can't by letting those who can eat the life bloom do so. Every sister would just have to find out if the life bloom makes her sick or if it is safe for her. We don't quit letting our brothers eat fish just because one of them happens to have a nasty reaction to one of them.”


 


“Well that is true. It seems rather reckless though to release something that could have adverse affects on such a large portion of the population.”


 


“Believe me Joseph we wouldn't mind if it freed up more food for others and provided a new source for the rest. The only problem I can is well if it actually started killing us.”


 


“Yeah plus I don't know about long term side affects. That's another reason why I want some team mates. So they can give you a physical examination as I have limited knowledge on how your bodies work.”


 


“Would you like a book on it?”


 


Once again Joseph found himself surprised by Maria's statement so he took a moment to respond. “Of course your brothers would have done studies on your physical condition.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she nodded her head. “Yep.”


 


Before Joseph could respond a knocking on the lab door drew his and Maria's attention. Maria had actually heard the person coming but she hadn't been certain if they'd be stopping at Joseph's lab or not. As they stood outside the door though she recognized their sent. Joseph was already moving across the room to open the door so she said nothing.


 


“Good evening Joseph.”


 


“Carter, it's good to see you.”


 


“Joseph it's nice to see you and you as well Maria. May I come in?”


 


“Sure.” As Joseph responded he stepped to the side and allowed Carter into the lab. “I was actually expecting to see Dan before your arrival though.”


 


“So you invited Dan to work on your project as well?”


 


“Yes.”


 


“I imagine he wants to speak with Mina before making any decisions. I don't have such concerns. Anyway, I came by to let you know that I would be happy to help you with your project and have you already planted the first of the seeds?” As he spoke Carter began to walk towards the table where the seeds had been planted.


 


“I did as soon as I got to the lab and had a free moment.”


 


“Ah I would have liked to see that. Was there any alchemy or magic involved in their planting.”


 


“I'm afraid not.”


 


“Oh? Hm I'm actually surprised to hear that. You know designing them so that a alchemical solution or bit of mystic energy would be needed to stimulate the seeds to grow is an excellent form of population control.”


 


“When I was designing the life bloom I actually meant for nature to be the limiting factor in its design. I wanted for anyone to be able to plant and grow it.”


 


“Ah I see. Well before I go further I should tell you. I would be happy to help with this project however I do have other task to attend so. Still most of them are here as well so I shouldn't be far. I'll give advanced warning whenever I plan to be away for some time however I would like advanced warning as well when you know you're going to need my aid.”


 


“That sounds reasonable. One thing I would like helping doing is finding sisters to serve as test subjects. Maria has been helping me and Mina was suggested but they both have mutations. I'm worried that something in their altered bodies could allow them to handle the life bloom while another sisters can't.”


 


“That shouldn't be too difficult. We'll need to pick from sisters who are trust worthy but have tasks that we can find some replacements for. I have a few in mind already actually.” Before continuing Carter turned to Maria. “So is that one of the life blooms you're snacking on right now?”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yep.”


 


“Would it be alright if I had a taste? I've been curious as to what they taste like for a while.”


 


“Ah sorry. This is important research material and while I can understand your curiosity you have to realize that the actual testing has priority.”


 


At first Carter was silent as he looked at Maria. A slight chuckle escaped him seconds later. “Well aren't you just being greedy.”


 


“Yep!” Before continuing to eat her fruit Maria quickly stuck her tongue out at Carter for a moment.


 


“So Joseph has Maria showed any ill response to the life bloom?”


 


“Nothing so far. I've been steadily allowing her to eat more and more of the life bloom to see if her body has any negative responses but nothing has occurred yet. She seems to really like them though and has reported a great decrease in her hunger while eating one. One thing that I find intriguing though is that no matter how feeling she finds the fruit in the beginning the duration between when she feels sated and whenever she feels hungry again remains the same.”


 


“That's to be expected with our sisters. No matter how full they feel at any given time they always feel hungry again at roughly the same time interval. The only thing that seems to ever expand these time gaps between feeling stated and feeling hungry is whenever their bodies are allowed to grow larger. We theorize that it's because their bodies want to reach a sort of natural scale and thus seek to consume until it has the energy to reach that size.”


 


“I'm guessing to remain at that size though they would deplete the entire forest very quickly.”


 


“That is correct though we don't know how quickly. We believe that at a certain scale they would feel content almost as often as they feel hungry now if not constantly but we've never had one of them reach that scale yet.”


 


“So what do you hope the life bloom will do?”


 


“Joseph if we could give our sisters even another meter of height within the next ten years it would be seen as a great success. It would ease their pain considerably and perhaps will learn something from the life bloom while we're doing that.”


 


“So you'd be content with another meter?”


 


In response Carter gave his head a slight shake. “No. We won't be happy with the results until our sisters pain is no more. Only then will we be happy but if we can just give them another meter so soon that would be wonderful. Plus with the life bloom there would be less of a chance of them having to revert to a smaller size during a time of starvation.”


 


“I hate to say this but at times I forget about Maria's hunger. She just seems so lively most of the time that the ideal that she's starving at the moment seems so strange. I wonder what you would be like if you were filled all the time.” As he spoke Joseph glanced over at Maria who just grinned and remained focused on her fruit.


 


“That's a question all of us have wondered and has sparked some debate and issues.”


 


“Are they some amongst the brothers who believe if the sisters didn't have their hunger they wouldn't behave so nicely?”


 


“Indeed they are some that do believe that though we try to discourage such thoughts. A brother that wants to keep our sisters hungry so that they'll play nicely can't be tolerated though.”


 


“What do you do in such a situation?”


 


“Generally they're demoted to rank five if they have reached a rank above such status. They're assigned tasks of minimum importance and left to their thoughts. We can't have someone who'd use our sisters hunger against them holding a high position after all. This is of course assuming he never acts upon such impulses.”


 


“Have there been any incidents like that?”


 


“A few. There is one very notable case when a brother tried to use our sisters hunger to manipulate them. It involved a brother trying to convince a sister to murder another brother. The sister was a keeper at the time but she'd recently been demoted and was going to have to revert to guardian level. The brother promised to use his newfound influence to insure she wasn't demoted and maybe let her grow a little larger if she would remove someone who was blocking his progress. She dismembered him.”


 


“You mean she helped such a traitor?”


 


“No. I meant that she tore apart the one that had tried to bribe her. I do mean literally tore as well. She grabbed him by both of his arms and ripped them from his body. His legs followed soon after. You can imagine it caused quite a stir amongst both the brothers and sisters and there was quite an intensive investigation to find out what had happened.”


 


“What happened to her?”


 


“Those sisters that arrived shortly after restrained her though she was lucky they didn't try to kill her. Later though, those that had arrived confirmed that she'd been enraged. Her scent told them that she's had a massive rush of anger. She was well beyond infuriated at the time of their arrival so it's fair to assume that she'd been so whenever he'd actually made her the offer.”


 


“So was it the fact that he was trying to use her hunger to control her or the fact that she was being asked to kill a brother that made her so angry?”


 


“As far as they can tell it was a little bit of both. She was still demoted to guardian level but that had nothing to do with her response to the brothers offer. He should have known that one of our sisters wouldn't respond well to such an offer though.”


 


“So they take such offers as quite a serious insult.”


 


“Indeed. Now don't get me wrong though. It's fairly common to use food as a motivator whenever dealing with our sisters you just have to make sure you're not doing it in an insulting way.”


 


In response Joseph gave a nod. “I imagine it's like offering someone a job and acting like they're something that can just be bought with money. One is alright and welcome while the other can be very insulting.”


 


“You're probably right. So how long until the life bloom begins to grow?”


 


“It grows rather rapidly actually. We should be able to start gathering fruit from it in just over a month.”


 


“Now that is impressive. I'm a little curious what you're going to do until that time though.”


 


“Honestly I'm not sure. Before hand I would just work on healing potions but now that I'm not required to do that anymore I guess I'll have to come up with something else to pass my time. I suppose I should go ahead and get the crystals set up though. I want to monitor how the energy levels in the room change as the life bloom grows. I believe you know of my primary concern that caused me to flee the Gale kingdom.”


 


“The life bloom was allowing mystic energy to bleed into the world around it. I believe that was it.”


 


“Yeah. I didn't have time to find out if the bleeding was additive though or it behaves in a different way. Does having two life blooms together double the bleeding, increase it by four times or is the rate slower? That's one of the major questions I need to answer.”


 


“Hm just be careful to do all your measurements either before or after our sisters arrival. If you don't then your data will be inaccurate.”


 


“You make a good point there thanks for reminding me. Any sisters entering the room would probably absorb any energy that had been let into the environment. Carter how much of a burden would it be to start growing the life bloom on a large scale in a controlled environment?”


 


“By large scale I assume you mean around a hundred fully grown trees.”


 


“That should be enough.”


 


“ Give me a moment to think.” As he finished speaking Carter closed his eyes and began to lightly tap the edge of the table in front of him. “We could easily make room in the catacombs the issue would be insuring that we have enough sun crystals to provide enough light. I'm certain that it could be done though. We could also grow them above ground and just use a illusion to hide the garden from anything flying over the forest but I believe that it would be best to keep such a large scale and potentially dangerous operation underground. Overall I believe the best choice would be to use one of the old underground research wings.”


 


“You mean you already have places built for such research?”


 


“Well yeah we've had to do large scale research of our own you know. They haven't been used in some time though so I'm not absolutely certain about their condition. It'd probably take a week to inspect everything and repair any damage that need taken care of. Once that was done we'd need a few more weeks to bring in the soil, prepare an irrigation system and pick the sun crystals we're going to use. That is doing things at the regular pace. We could make it a high priority and probably have everything done in one to two weeks but that's only for emergency situations.”


 


“A few weeks? How do you propose to do that in a few weeks?”


 


“We have a lot of mages, architects a few dwarfs as brothers and our sisters can work harder and longer then most humans even with magic assistants and not even break a sweat.”


 


“I see your point. Carter I have a question to ask. Have you ever wondered why our sisters like to work on things like cloth work, gardening-”


 


Instead of waiting for Joseph to finish Carter spoke up. “I believe it'd be better if you asked some of them.”


 


“I have but I wondered what a brothers perspective was. One that has been a brother far longer then I have been.”


 


“Joseph if the only thing you had to do all day long was walk a few meters to pick up your meals, eat it, use the washroom and sleep do you believe you'd be very happy?”


 


“Not really. I imagine I'd get quite bored.”


 


“I don't think there is one answer to your question rather I'm certain that they are several answers to it. Some of them do it because they want something to do other then eat, sleep and poop something that they can show off. Others work because they enjoy being helpful to their sisters and brothers. I'm certain some do it for both reasons. They are also rewards for taking on such tasks. Finally I'm certain they're some that do it because if they don't help out they also won't eat.”


 


“That sounds right. It's actually very similar to what our sisters told me. Now another question. Why do you strive so hard to help your sisters? You could take the skills you've gained and knowledge then leave the forest and make quite a nice living elsewhere.”


 


“My reasons? I find this work satisfying. I get a nice feeling of accomplishment whenever I do something to aid our sisters especially if it has long term affects. I believe I enjoy a very comfortable life style here as well. Even if I were to leave and find a task that afforded me more luxuries I doubt the work would be as satisfying and to be honest I question the value of some of those luxuries.”


 


“You mean like a servant to clean your home?”


 


“Okay now that would be nice. That I do admit. Here though I can expect a nice steady supply of fresh fruit, vegetables and meats. I also get to try all sorts of interesting things at the dining halls.”


 


“Huh!”


 


“What?”


 


“I'm kind of surprised that you said you'd enjoy having someone to clean your home. You mean you don't have any form of house servants here?”


 


“Well at times young sisters or brothers are rewarded for cleaning up someone's home but there is no one that does it as a profession. Well young brothers and sisters are times rewarded for cleaning or punished by being made to clean. That's not much of a problem though as few homes actually get larger then your own.”


 


“I guess such jobs aren't considered important enough to devote any real resources to it.”


 


“I don't tend to think they are. They're plenty more productive things that one can do with their time after all.”


 


“How about childcare?”


 


“Ah now that is another story. Typically we like to insure that the parents can take care of the child however should something happen that requires the parents attention they're sisters that can tend to such tasks. Generally we take them from the less worrisome patrols and places like the libraries. At times brothers are also called upon to tend to the children. Especially if their work is in a waiting stage.”


 


“You mean like me waiting for these trees to grow?”


 


“Hm to an extent I suppose. I'd say that finding out how the energy from the trees interacts as they grow though is fairly valuable knowledge. On that subject though how about we start setting up the crystals to monitor it?”


 


“Yeah that's probably a good ideal.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


It had taken some time but Dan had finally become used to standing next to Mina. Behind and in front of her had taken even longer though he'd came to enjoy it a great deal though it was awkward. So that as he stood next to Mina he reached behind her and quickly ran his index finger over the top of her tail where it connected to her back. Immediately he noted the incredible muscles in her body tensing up as she bit down on her lip. Before he could continue tickling her though he felt a rather large but very spread out impact as Mina bumped him with the side of her thighs.

Chapter 11 by happiest_in_shadows

“Now cut that out.”


 


Instead of responding verbally Dan quickly rushed towards Mina more leaping towards her then running in the final meter. Before he could take hold of her thigh though something massive and fluffy slammed into him. He immediately recognized it as Mina's tail even as he was sent staggering backwards. Before he could recover though his field of vision was blocked and he tasted some fur in his mouth as Mina began to assault his face with her tail.


 


“Oh you think you're fast enough to get the better of me?”


 


Each time Dan tried to take in a breath he felt Mina's tail brush against his face. He had learned long ago that escaping her tail had to be one of his top priorities but he'd also learned how difficult that could be. Restraining Mina's tail wasn't an option she was just too strong. He wasn't fast enough to back away from it either so that as he felt her tail push against him he met the push and tried to rush past it. For a moment he felt her tail brush against him in an attempt to stop his charge but it was at a bad angle and he was able to rush past.


 


“Ahh!” As Dan pushed past her tail Mina tried to step away from him but she was slowed by the positioning. If she moved too quickly she could break something or worse hurt Dan. As she felt his arms wrap around her thigh and one of his hands going for the tip of her tail she tried to pull her tail in quickly enough to defend herself but she was too slow.


 


“I got you now.”


 


“Really!” Even as the words left her mouth Mina flexed every muscle in her leg. The massive limb seemed to exploded outward as the muscles were gorged on blood and expanded outward. The overall width of her thigh increased drastically and Dan was sent staggering backwards as the sudden expansion of muscle broke both his grip and pushed him backwards. Taking advantage of the situation Mina once again resumed the assault of Dan's face with her tail.


 


“Ah!”


 


“Who has who now?” A slight giggle escaped Mina as she quickly redirected her tail and stuffed the tip of it down into Dan's shirt. As she slipped her tail into Dan's shirt the garment exploded outwards and Mina began to rapidly wiggle her tail. Dan clenched his shirt clearly trying to get it off but it was too late. The massive fluffy object had found several ticklish spots and Dan had already began to laugh.


 


“Auh..” As Dan opened up his mouth he found it impossible to get any words out as he struggled to contain his laughter and keep Mina's tail from brushing against his face. Indeed opening his mouth proved to be a mistake as soon as it was open chuckles began to drift out which made it impossible for him to close his mouth once again.


 


“You should known better then to try and wrestle a lady with a fluffy tail like mine.”


 


“I..I..I” Once again Dan gave up speaking as each time he opened his mouth he began to chuckle. Instead he quit struggling and covered up his mouth with both hands. Fortunately for him this prompted Mina to quit moving her tail and she slowly began to withdraw it.


 


“Now about Joseph. I believe that you should help him with his project.” As she spoke Mina walked over to Dan who was still chuckling and placed one of her hands under his but and once again his back.


 


As Mina picked him up Dan gave a sigh and leaned forward. As he pressed his lips against hers he could feel her fur brushing against his face. It had been another thing he'd had to get used to but come to enjoy as he kissed Mina back. Her lips engulfed his entirely and he could feel them pressing against the skin around his lips as well. “Mirin seems to want me to help him as well.”


 


“You've been working in the shop for quite some time now Dan. You and I both know that is well beneath your skills.”


 


“True but it's not like I've been slacking. I've been working on my theories after all.”


 


“I know but surely you don't actually enjoy keeping track of all those records?”


 


“It can be rather tedious that is true.”


 


“So help Joseph out and get me some of the fruit to.” A slight giggle escaped Mina as she let her tongue flick out and pressed it against Dan's cheek. He tried to recoil from the warm wet muscle but her hand against his back prevented him from doing so.


 


“Gah! What was that for?”


 


“I wonder what will be tastier. You or that fruit.”


 


“Hm. Is that it? Well Maria sure seems to like the life bloom.”


 


“I swear each time I smelt the sugar on Maria's lips I wondered how long it'd be before we learned more about the life bloom.”


 


“Alright then I'll lend them a hand. I'm not entirely certain what I can do though. If Joseph already has a working product then the only thing we can do right now is testing. I'll try to get you some fruit as well.”


 


“Yay. Also, I'm certain that you'll be able to find a way to help out. Lean against me.”


 


Instead of asking why Dan leaned against Mina so that his head wrested against her shoulder. He then felt her hand leave his back and realized that she was working on their dinner. “You know I wouldn't have minded cooking tonight.”


 


“Last night you nearly burned my tongue off.”


 


“I just added a little spice for flavor.”


 


“That was not a little.”


 


In response to Mina's comment gave a slight chuckle. “My great big strong Mina is such a softy.” Upon finishing Dan leaned up a bit and gently pressed his lips against Mina's outer ear. A shiver that rattled Dan's entire body ran throughout her moments later.


 


“Dan not while I'm working with the food.”


 


“You like it.”


 


“Of course I do! I'm trying to cook though.”


 


“I believe you smell better then the food.”


 


In response to Dan's comment Mina could actually feel herself warming up and she tightened her grip on Dan's rear a bit more. “Someone seems to be a little worked up today.”


 


Before responding Dan pushed against Mina's shoulders and brought himself up to a seated position in her hand while using his own to steady himself now. “Well maybe a little. You seem rather excited yourself though.” Before Mina could respond Dan brushed his foot against stomach and the upper portion of her thigh that his leg could reach.


 


“Oh? Did something happen today?”


 


“Nothing in particular. I just found myself thinking about you a lot.”


 


“What were you thinking?”


 


“I was thinking about you eating the life bloom. In particular I was thinking about what it would be like if you grew even larger.”


 


“So that's what got you so worked up. Just what would you like to do if I got even larger?”


 


“I was thinking that it would be like if you got big enough for me to set on one of your breast.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina as she finished flipping her and Dan's food and she brought her now free hand up to press against the underside of her breast. “One of these large enough for you to set on? You want me that big?”


 


“I think even bigger would be nice.”


 


“Mm it would be nice. Then I would be able to just slip you down between my breast if I grew that large and have both hands free. I could go hunting and play with you at the same time.”


 


“You really believe you could hunt and play with me at the same time?”


 


“Mm I guess not. You can be something of a distraction.” As she spoke Mina once again placed her hand against Dan's back but this time she lowered him until his chest was level with her breast. She then pressed his chest against her massive right breast. “It's a fun thought.”


 


“Since you want me to work with Joseph I'll do as much as I can to make it happen.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


How long had it been since she'd been out this far? Fera couldn't be certain but she knew that it had been a long time. It felt good to be away from the village and allowed to wonder in the forest so freely though she knew she had a job to do. It had actually surprised her whenever the brothers had requested her to make a trip to the kobold nesting area and thin out their population. It was a task normally left to smaller sisters and not a matron but apparently the brothers wanted to make a statement this time.


 


This had made it very clear to Fera why she'd been chosen for the tasks. In general most sisters relied on their noses and ears far more then humans and far less on their eyes. Fera was different from her sisters though as she relied on her eyes almost as much as humans did while hunting. It wasn't due to her not being skilled at using her nose and ears but rather due to the fact that her eyes saw things her sisters' didn't. Fera's eyes could see life energy. This was very useful in hunting prey where they could conceal one another and avoiding damaging things she didn't want to.


 


“Hello there you must be the dryad my sisters were telling me about.”


 


Xelaney wasn't quite certain what to say as she looked up at the massive being before her. It was very rare even for one such as her to see an animal so large. “Um yes. My name is Xelaney. Are you the one that was sent to help with my kobold problem?”


 


“Yeah. I wanted to stop and talk to you for a moment before I moved on though. Have the kobolds spoken about anyone? I don't mean to you but have you heard anything along the lines of. If we don't bring her back blank he, she they'll be angry?”


 


“Unfortunately I didn't tend to pay much attention to their conversations. They're hard to understand at the best of times and well they were trying to kill me.”


 


In response Fera gave a quick nod. “Alright then. Um on another subject could I ask you a question in regards to you dryads?”


 


“Sure?”


 


“I know that you're bound to your free and if it dies so do you but is there anyway you can change the tree you're bound to? It's something that I've always wondered. I mean if you can't change the tree you're bound to why not pick a small tree that you can move around?”


 


A grin formed on Xelaney's face as she gave a slight chuckle. “Yes we can change the tree we're bound to but it's not an easy task. A tree that was grown from our own is often much easier to shift to and at times we do actually grow a new tree for the purpose of movement. Such as whenever it's clear humans will be pushing into our territory in the next few years or decade.”


 


“Neat. That's just something I've wondered though now I have to ask. Why don't you move away from this area?”


 


“Generally the kobolds don't bother me and if what Maria speculated was true they're not trying to move through this area but rather they're targeting me. If I wasn't here they would just find another dryad to target and she might not be as capable when it comes to defending herself.”


 


“Mm I see your point. Well thanks for answering my questions.”


 


“You're welcome.” Xelaney couldn't help but grin as Fera began to walk away from her. While she felt that sending such a massive being to deal with the kobolds was a bit extreme she wasn't exactly concerned. Rather she felt a great deal of relief and even a bit of amusement whenever she thought about what was going to happen to the kobolds soon.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Drofgin paced nervously as he looked out towards the trees. In the direction of the beast girl's homes. The kobold wasn't the brightest creature in creation but he'd heard from the other kobolds how the beast girls had become involved. He had been fortunate enough to be away from the village during the initial raid but now he was quite nervous. Many of the other kobolds felt confident that the danger had passed and they needed to regroup but he wasn't certain of that.


 


“What you so scared of?”


 


 


Upon hearing the voice Drofgin turned to face Griex. “Kitty girls still angry is us. They come back again.”


 


“Kitty girls not still angry. They come kill bunch of us and go away for long time. Should be worried that master angry with us. Maybe you go with next group to get tree lady.”


 


Instead of responding right away Drofgrin began to rub his hands together. Of course it was going after the dryad that had brought the beast girl's attention to their village and he knew it. “Me should take family and hides.”


 


“Master be upset if you leaves. You not come back if you go.”


 


Instead of responding right away Drofgrin looked around the village. He knew that the odds of them surviving in the forest alone weren't good. Hunting was dangerous alone. Instead of leaving the village he could always retreat to the lower reaches of the nest. If he hid there long enough and the village was attacked perhaps they would forget that he had hidden. It would be easier to hide there then sneak out of the village without being noticed. “I going.”


 


Griex gave a slight shrug as Drofgrin walked off. He didn't mention it but he'd tell their leader about Drofgrin and his cowardly behavior. That way Drofgrin would be sent away and probably die so the other kobolds wouldn't see him leaving and think they could leave as well. As Griex began to walk away though the sound of limbs snapping and falling to the forest floor hit his ears as did the sound of massive foot steps. Soon he could feel the slight vibrations in the ground and knew something was coming.


 


Fera liked her forest home so she tried to keep the damage to a minimum. This meant moving slowly though and trying to pick the paths with the most room to move in. There was limitations though and she wasn't going to walk on tiptoes the entire time. Fortunately as she neared the kobold nest she was able to pick up the pace as her concern decreased and she felt her hunger growing stronger. Her body knew that she was going to eat a decent sized meal soon and it was ready for it. “Hi my little finger food.”


 


Griex had retreated to one of the tunnels leading underground by the time Fera arrived at the village. Upon seeing the massive creature though and hearing her greeting he quickly hastened his pace. He could hear horns being sounded now and a furious amount of movement. Those kobolds that had been chosen to be the first wave of soldiers or guards were already rushing from underground to meet the intruder. This wasn't due to any sense of duty but rather due to the fact they would be killed if they didn't drive off the intruder or die trying to.


 


Kobolds tended to force the weaker and less intelligent members of their society to be the first wave of attackers or defenders. This tended to insure the weak died so they didn't hinder the species development and protected the stronger or smarter ones for future breading. Occasionally a kobold would survive long enough to strength itself as well and move through the ranks but it seemed very unlikely that was going to be happening today.


 


Fera knew about the kobolds tendencies as she looked at the defenders rushing from under the ground and shook her head. “I really don't like filling up on scraps whenever the main course is near by. It is regretful but you're going to have to settle for being stains on my foot rather then enjoying the honor of nourishing my body.” A slight chuckle escaped Fera as she quickly stepped forward and caught a group of kobolds underneath her foot. They didn't even have time to scream before her massive weight crushed them to paste.


 


While not the most skilled or knowledgeable builders kobolds had a knack for making traps and developing their tunnel systems. So despite the entire nest area being riddled with tunnels there was very little shaking even as Fera stepped down onto them. Grief felt confident that most of the tunnels would survive the battle so he had no fear retreating ever deeper into the tunnels.


 


Feav went to let out a horrified shriek as the massive foot landed near him but he was cut short as a burst of liquid struck his mouth. As he quickly spit out the jail he also noted a fine substance in it. Even the kobold was able to realize that he'd just been struck by the pulped remains of his comrades that had squirted out from under the massive creature's foot. Fear seemed to hold the kobold still until that foot began to lift into the air. A shriek escaped the kobold and it quickly began to dash forward instead of leaping though Feav remained close to the ground and quickly darted under the foot towards the cave.


 


“What this mean?” Griex could hardly control his anger as he was stopped by another group of kobolds. He recognized all of them as part of the military and leaders of the other kobolds.


 


“You join third attack force.”


 


“What? I shaman I not go out there to fight.”


 


“You go! You lousy shaman that didn't warn.”


 


Even as anger built up within Griex so did fear. He'd felt confident that he would be allowed to go deeper into the caves. Now he was being told to report to a military unit that would be sent up as soon as the first and second group had fallen. “I show you who lousy!”


 


Reoft realized what Griex was doing almost immediately and quickly rushed forward. Before Griex could finish the casting Reoft slammed his elbow into Griex's chest being certain to put all his speed and weight into the attack. It had the desired affect as Reoft sent Griex to the ground clutching where he had been struck. “You stupid. You go on second wave now. Go or I kill you.”


 


A shriek escaped the kobold as she felt Fera's fingers close around her. There was no pain as she felt the fur brush against her skin as that had moved to take hold of her and several others but there was fear. When those fingers tightened they all expected to feel the pain of their bodies bruising and bones breaking but there was none. The grip was tight enough to keep them from escaping but not tight enough to cause pain. That didn't diminish the fear as she looked up and saw Fera's tongue running along her lips.


 


“Mm tummy time for this bunch!” As she spoke Fera lifted the group of five kobolds towards her massive mouth and opened it up. The kobolds were roughly half the height of a large human and had even less volume so it was easy to stuff several of them into her mouth at once. Their cries of protest reached her ears but had no affect on her. The kobolds had brought this upon themselves. As long as the kobolds remained in their portion of the forest the sisters and brothers had grown content to leave them be. They had stepped outside of those bounds once again though and in large force. She was there to show them why that was a bad thing.


 


Fera's hand had been a great source of fear for the kobold but as she saw that mouth opening up for her and noted teeth longer then she was tall inside that mouth she grasped at those fingers. The kobold took as much of Fera's fur between her fingers as she possibly could and grasped the finger with her arms and legs tightly. As they neared that mouth she could feel the tension in the muscles changing and the hand began to relax. Then she felt it. Fera gave her hand a quick shake. The motion was brief but exceptionally fast and the soft smooth fur slipped from between the kobold's fingers, her arms and legs lost their grip and she found herself falling.


 


A shard of pain shot throughout the kobold as her shoulder was caught on the edge of one of those teeth for a second. The tip of the tooth easily cut through the kobolds flesh leaving a massive wound in her upper arm. Her scream of pain was interrupted by making contact with a warm, wet and somewhat soft surface. The wetness moved with her to an extent as the saliva coated and stuck to her body as she tried to raise up and turn towards the opening. Then she felt that tongue shift and saw the opening moving. Fera's tongue moved swiftly adjusting the kobolds position so that her teeth met them as they came down.


 


 


 


***********************************************************************************


“I'm surprised that you didn't think of this.” As Dan spoke he busied himself preparing the large tub of water. Several receptacles were currently floating in the water each with a precisely measured mass of soil.


 


“I wish that it had. This should really improve the rate of growth. Where did you learn about this?”


 


“It's a technique the Luvarians used for certain projects. By growing the plants in a water nutrient solution you can better control the concentration of nutrients the plants take in and better keep out contaminants. Are the seeds ready?”


 


“Yeah. I only have these two though.”


 


“That's not a problem. I take it they're from the fruit you let Maria eat yesterday and today.”


 


“You know I trust Maria but I'm really worried that she's going to bite the seeds in half or at least three quarters one of these days. She really has to strip the fruit to the core.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he nodded his head. “That's normal for our sisters. I've actually seen Mina eat the core of some of the fruits she enjoys. I don't believe our sisters feel the same level of repulsion we do whenever biting into a seed or something along those lines. I know I couldn't stand to bite into a bone even if I had the mouth to chew it up.”


 


“Do you think that's a design feature or something that they acquired over time?”


 


“Both were probably involved. By eating their enemies they gain a food source and inspire fear in them. Also I imagine it has something to do with what they can eat. After all taste is related to survival. Things we need tend to taste really good to convince us to eat them while thinks that have a good chance of harming us taste unpleasant so that we won't eat them. Sure it isn't always one hundred percent accurate as to whether something is good for us or not but it's far better then nothing. Our sisters have a much larger range of things that are good for them though and far fewer that are bad.”


 


“You have a point. Dan do you think our sisters have taste other then sour, bitter, sweet, savory and sweet?”


 


“I'm not really sure. I know that they consider magic potions to be extremely sweet but is that really sweet the way we humans understand it? That could actually be an interesting test. Perhaps I should make a very bitter tasting healing potion and see how our sisters regard it. That would be an amusing way to pass the time.”


 


“Well the seeds are planted. Do you want to get to work? Perhaps whenever Mina and Maria get here they can try the potion and tell us.”


 


“Just be certain not to tell them that it's bitter. Rather tell them that we tried to change the flavor of a healing potion to see how they'd respond to it. I'm going to have to insure Mina that it isn't meant to be spicy though she's a little weary of my cooking since last night.”


 


“What did you do?”


 


“I tried adding some spice to our soup. I didn't add all that much or at least I didn't believe that I did but Mina sure thought I did. Next time I'll cut the amount of spice I add by half.”


 


“Why add any spice?”


 


“I'm going to help her learn to enjoy spicy food. After all she helped me get into shape.”


 


“Oh! So this is for revenge?”


 


“No. Mina really likes the flavor of spicy food actually she just can't handle it. If I can slowly introduce more and more to her though she'll develop a tolerance I believe. If there was nothing she liked about such foods though I wouldn't put her through this.”


 


“Dan how did Mina get you to exercise? Maria has taken to poking me with her claws every time I slow down too much.”


 


“I bet she hasn't broken the skin yet though.”


 


“Well no.”


 


“Mina would smack me with her tail. At first the smacks were extremely gently I'd even call them quick nudges. If I didn't respond though she'd slowly hit harder and harder until she began to inflict pain. Then if that didn't work she threatened to take away all my leisure reading material.”


 


“How hard was she hitting you before she threatened that?”


 


“It wasn't hard really she didn't even bruise me. I think she realized that I was pushing her just to see how far she would take it. So she decided to see how far I was willing to go in order to push her.”


 


“So did you speed back up?”


 


“Of course I did!”


 


Before Joseph could continue he couldn't help but notice some laughter on the other side of the door. Moments later there was some knocking and a voice. “You should have seen his legs move once I threatened to take away his books.”


 


Upon hearing the voice Joseph turned to Dan and noted a rather sheepish smile on his face. This brought a chuckle to Joseph and he quickly went to the door to open it. “It's good to see you Mina.”


 


“Nice to see you as well.”


 


Before continuing Joseph stepped to the side to allow Mina into the room. “I take it Dan told you why I wanted you to come by.”


 


“Indeed he did. Now he didn't do anything to coerce you into letting me be a tester did he?”


 


“No. Mirin did that before I even spoke to Dan.”


 


Instead of responding right away Mina went silent and took a moment to examine Joseph. “You're joking.”


 


“Yeah though he did suggest you. Still the fact that you had to stop and think makes me wonder. Is that something that Mirin would do?”


 


“I believe they're some situations that would lead to him behaving in such a way. Mirin is regarded as a bit of an extremist even amongst our brothers though he isn't the worse.”


 


“He seems to be quite well respected though.”


 


“Indeed he is. His views might be extreme but his methods are appropriate. In most situations at least. He's actually part or one could even say the leader of a group of brothers who believe sisters should be given incentives to do what I did.”


 


“You mean beat Dan with your tail and threaten to take away his books?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina as she glanced over at Dan. “Not quite.”


 


“Oh so you mean volunteer to go to sleep for a few years and reduce their body size in hopes of developing a new ability?”


 


“Yeah.” While she was speaking Mina felt a hand press against the inside of her thigh as Dan wrapped his arm around as much of that massive limb as he could. She then felt a kiss be place against the side of her abdomen. As the kiss ended Mina reached down and placed her massive hand against Dan's side pushing him more firmly against herself.


 


“How do the sisters feel about that?”


 


“Honestly many of us like the ideal in many regards. To volunteer to undergo such an ordeal is highly respectable. However, it's also so dreaded that few of us can actually bring ourselves to do it. Many of us believe that if there was more of a reward there we might be able to convince ourselves but we aren't sure.”


 


“Then why hasn't the group succeeded?”


 


“The only comprise about one third of our brothers. Actually their numbers are a bit smaller and many brothers fear that such an act would be bad for our mental health. It doesn't help that the group suffered a set back a few years ago. A few members actually began pushing not to just offer rewards but make it a requirement to gain keeper status. Even Mirin regarded this as too extreme though and a bit of infighting broke out.”


 


“How long ago was this and what happened?”


 


“It was five years ago. While there was no violence involved some of the brothers began to fear that a few had forgotten their true roll in our society. Naturally this prompted them to take steps to deal with those they felt had forgotten their roll. A lot of our brothers lost their positions especially amongst Mirin's camp. Others felt the need to distance themselves from such activities for a while.”


 


“How did Mirin get out of it?”


 


“He was quick to denounce the extremist and well. Mirin had Sora backing him.”


 


“I hope this is okay to ask but how did they even intend to force the sisters to agree to such terms?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina as she relaxed her hold on Dan and placed a hand against her forehead. “You know we're really not certain of that. That was a question the brothers began to wonder about after everything had been taken care of. In the end they just resolved the extremist no longer saw us as their sisters and instead saw us as common animals that would blindly follow orders. At least the ring leaders did the others might not have been thinking.”


 


“I see. So Mina what keeps the sisters from using the brothers like animals if well protected animals?”


 


“Ah well if I caught someone treating Dan like an animal I would pull their arms and legs off.”


 


Despite the severity of the comment Joseph couldn't help but grin. “I see. Well that's one very good reason.”


 


“They're lots of reasons though. Our brothers help us and we help them. They can do things that we can't do and it's much easier to cooperate then coerce one another. Besides, if we did try to force our brothers to work for us how would we stop them from escaping? We'd have to allow them access to the reagents they needed for their work and those could be used in any number of ways.”


 


“So has their ever been a group of sisters that came to see the brothers as pets that should obey?”


 


“Yeah. They are some now that hold that view point I'm certain of it but they keep quiet about it. There was a movement in that direction at one time though but it hit a wall very quickly.”


 


“What wall was that?”


 


“The sisters that didn't like the ideal of their mates or family members being treated like animals. I wasn't alive back then but what happened was recorded. Some of the sisters wanted to branch off and form their own community were they could run things how they saw fit. At first the other sisters agreed to it but whenever the ones leaving tried to take some of the brothers by force things got very ugly. Some of our brothers died.”


 


“That must have been very traumatic.”


 


“It was. It didn't help matters whenever some of the separatist were able to escape. This happened about three decades after the death of our first leader so things were still being organized at the time.”


 


“Do you have any ideal of what happened to those that escaped?”


 


“None. That was a long time ago and if they were still in the forest I'm fairly certain we would have learned of them by now. No one we've ever met from the outside world has mentioned them either.”


 


Before responding Joseph walked over to a table where a few slices of the life bloom were wresting. “You know that's kind of frightening to be honest. The ideal that they could have left the forest and have remained hidden all this time. Perhaps the reason you haven't heard anything about them is they went that far away or no one has lived to tell you.”


 


“You have a point there. They could be building their numbers and planning to take back the forest one day.” A slight giggle escaped Mina as a smile spread across her face revealing a mouthful of very sharp and long teeth. “I think we'd make them regret their ways though.”


 


“You sound quite confident you'd beat them.”


 


“Of course. What are the odds of them finding a resource like our forest? Plus we haven't been lazing around all this time. We know that the combative power of the outside world is increasing and if we're going to protect our forest our power needs to increase as well. That's one of the reasons Mirin wanted to encourage sisters to develop mutations.”


 


“To increase power without increasing the need for food?”


 


“Yeah.”


 


“That makes sense. Well Mina here is your first slices of the life bloom.”


 


Instead of commenting right away Mina walked over to Joseph and took a moment to examine the fruit. After a moment she reached down and picked up one of the slices and brought it to her nose sniffing it lightly. “Well here goes.” With that Mina quickly tossed the fruit into her mouth though she didn't begin to chew right away.


 


Joseph knew that he'd started Maria with a very small amount and had planned on starting Mina with the same amount. However, upon seeing her pick up the slice he'd been amazed by how small it'd looked in her massive hands. Fortunately she didn't seem intent on trying to get more out of him for the moment. “How does it taste?”


 


Instead of responding right away Mina held up her hand for Joseph to be quiet. She then carefully slipped the slice between her fangs and bit down. As she tasted the free flowing juice she sucked lightly on the halves of the live bloom noting the flavor of the fruit and the juice. She then began to slowly chew being certain to get every last bit of flavor out of the tiny bit of fruit she could.


 


While Mina was chewing Dan chose to speak up. “Mina is really careful to savor the things she really enjoys and this is her first time trying the life bloom.”


 


“I see.”


 


“Wow. That tasted really good. I haven't tasted something like that in a long while. I mean the last time I did it was healing potion. The texture of the fruit adds a lot to its enjoyability though.”


 


“I'm glad you liked it. Now to see if you have any adverse affects. Be sure to tell Dan if you notice anything.”


 


“Alright. Mm I guess you wouldn't be willing to use magic or alchemy to help the life bloom grow would you?”


 


“I would if I thought it could be done safely. There is already so much magic involved in the life bloom though that I'm worried it would alter the plant. Instead of having a plant that yields healing fruit I don't want to end up with a plant that yields fruit that's acts as a magically enhanced poison.”


 


“Ah yeah. Poisons it's still kind of a strange concept to me.”


 


“Huh?”


 


Before Mina could respond Dan spoke up. “Our sisters are nearly immune to any poisons you could think of. At least they're nearly immune to every poison you would find in nature and just about every other type I've encountered so they don't really grow up with an ideal of this fruit is safe to eat and this fruit isn't. They think more along the lines of. It's fruit so I'm going to eat it.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina as she nodded her head. “That extends to animals as well.”


 


“Hm. So bright colors that warn other animals to stay away just serve to tell you where your food is?”


 


“Yep.”


 


“Have there been any poisons found that could harm you?”


 


In response Mina gave a quick nod. “A few but it takes a pretty huge dose to kill us. The Luvarians apparently didn't like the ideal of a loan assassin sneaking into their base and poisoning one of their favored creations.”


 


“Woe. Hold on. What do you mean favored?”


 


“Our first sisters were considered an exceptional success according to all the Luvarian records. Mind you this doesn't mean they considered us perfect but they considered us as close to perfect as could be hoped for. At least in regards to the tasks we were meant to do. So we were taken very good care of.”


 


“I see. Does that mean that sisters after the initial ones were modified?”


 


“Not really. The resistants to poisons was part of our design to begin with given what we were meant to harvest. Seriously if you were to walk into the wrong part of this forest during the wrong time of the year you'd drop dead before you realized you shouldn't be there.”


 


“I take it you have some rather unpleasant plant life there.”


 


“Well they're pretty to look at but nothing travels through that region while they're blooming. Except for a few of the sturdier animals, myself and my sisters.”


 


“Hm I think I know the flower you're talking about. It actually gives of toxic fumes that kills any animals wondering near by. It then tends to grow towards the animal and actually uses the victim for nutrients during the blooming season. If only I could remember the name. Dan do you recall it?”


 


“Not of the top of my head actually.”


 


“Wow I figured you'd know the name of every plant in this forest.”


 


“Yeah I don't believe anyone person actually knows that. Besides some of the plant and animal life here haven't even been documented yet. The Luvarians designed this forest to live after all and at times new things are developed.”


 


“I guess with everything that happens here it would nearly be impossible for that not to happen.”


 


As she listened to Dan and Joseph, Mina found herself looking down at the remaining slices of the life bloom. “Do I only get one slice today or may I eat the wrest.”


 


“Huh? Oh yeah all of that on the table is for you.”


 


“Yay! So Joseph what do you like to do after work?”


 


“Huh? Typically I just go home and do some recreational reading. I've been thinking of going out and doing something with Mina but I have to admit I'm a bit lost. I mean I don't know what all of you have.”


 


“You know Joseph there is quite a gathering at the market whenever it gets late usually. That's where we like to socialize.”


 


“I know but is there anything else?”


 


“You could go listen to some music. We developed a taste for it a while back after all and they're the occasional plays but nothing happening soon.”


 


“Plays? Are you serious?”


 


A sigh escaped Dan as he shook his head. “Joseph you know that's a pretty insulting thing to ask about our sisters.”


 


“Huh? How- Actually I believe I see what you're saying. Yeah I didn't mean it like that but I'm surprised to hear you have plays.”


 


In response Mina gave a quick nod. “We like music and art to you know and a play is a nice art form. OH you could take Maria to look at some of the actual paintings and sculptures we've done. I don't even know if she's been to the library since she woke up.”


 


“Yeah and I haven't ever been to the library just what is it? I mean I know it's where you store books and the like but when is it from?”


 


“Well we actually have two libraries or several really.”


 


“Several?”


 


“The citadel has several libraries in it however we only have access to a few of them. We believe that's due to the knowledge contained within. We also have the main library that we built a while back in order to house the books we write. Well we also use it to house books we get from outsides and copies we've made from the citadel libraries. We don't want to find out if the protectors will respond to us trying to take a book from the citadel or not.”


 


“I would be interested in seeing it. Just how big is it and where is it located?”


 


“It's a bit past the main village going towards the citadel. I think having Maria take you there some day would be wonderful. Is it safe for you to leave the life bloom though?”


 


“I meant for the life bloom to grow in the wild so it's not insanely fragile. The only part that requires my absolute attention is the making of the seeds from scratch.”


 


After a moment of silence Mina gave a nod. “Well then I'll leave it up to Maria to tell you about the library then. I don't want to ruin any of the surprises after all.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“This is such a strange way to travel.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she glanced over her shoulder at Joseph. “Would you rather walk there?”


 


“Given how fast you're traveling and the time we've been traveling? No. How did the Luvarians get around the forest though?”


 


“They didn't really wonder around the forest often. There is a transportation system inside of the citadel itself. Effectively they teleported into the forest from one of their other strong holds. They didn't like the ideal of building any roads as that would mean giving up precious growing land and possibly help their enemies more then it would help them.”


 


“Ah I see. So have you ever tried to raise some kind of animal the brothers could ride around?”


 


“To my knowledge there has never been such an attempt. Hm could be neat though. Perhaps they could come up with kind of animal that's not only good for riding around the forest but is also really good for eating. Something that fattens up far more nicely then most animals. What kind of creature would it be though? Well it'd have to be a plant eater naturally as a carnivore would be out of the question and it'd have to be docile smart enough for basic training but not smart enough to realize when it's about to be eaten.”


 


“Would it have to include that good for eating part? What if it could be raised so that it was good transportation and ate very little.”


 


“I think you'd have an easier time convincing me and my sisters if it was good for riding and also good for eating. That not eating much thing is nice and all but it's hardly equivalent to it being tasty.”


 


“Are you sure it would be a good thing to always have something you like eating running around you though? You might find it even harder to keep to your eating plan.”


 


“That is true. I guess you wouldn't like training something to be ridable only to have it in one of our bellies the next day either. It seems like something of a waste though to be honest. I mean. In some cultures the parents carry around the child whenever they have to travel to keep the child near and while the child is young. It's for the child's protection. You're a lot lighter to us though then that child is to their parents though.”


 


“What? So you think of us as kids?”


 


“No! Of course not. A young sister would absolutely kick your ass.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “So we rank somewhere lower then that in the self defense department then?”


 


“It's not like it's a big deal to us though. Most of us really don't think anything about it unless you've done something to upset us in the past.”


 


“Maria how much leisure time do you tend to have?”


 


“Eh define leisure time for me.”


 


“Time whenever you're not working.”


 


“I don't believe that's a very good definition. While I'm out searching the forest I'm also searching for things to eat after all. I tend to enjoy myself whenever I find something that needs taken care of as I get to let out my more brutal instincts as well. Reporting back in though that is boring and all the questions. I suppose on average I work for two hours to four hours a day.”


 


“You're out much longer then that though.”


 


“Yeah but I don't consider all that time work time. Keepers have it a bit rougher then I do and I'm sure my hours will be changing soon. I think I'll be earning a guardian rank soon.”


 


“Is that why it's felt like I've had more room back here as of late?”


 


“So you noticed!”


 


“Well yeah. So when do sisters start helping brothers get around?”


 


“As soon as we realize how freaking slow you are if we don't help you.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“It's not something that we're really taught to be honest. Young sister makes friends with a young brother. They want to go do something together. We quickly learn that we can either help our brother get there or we can wait ten times as long as it would take if we'd helped the. In most cases we decide to help them.”


 


“Have any sisters ever ran off and left a brother somewhere?”


 


“It happens from time to time but only within the designated safe zone. Such as whenever a brother and sister have an argument resulting in her running off angry. In that case the brother could have a long walk back if he keeps silent or if he doesn't call for help. In most cases we'll come and help him get home.”


 


“Hm how often does a brother have to walk back because all the other sisters are supporting the angry one?”


 


“That's a pretty rare event but I can't say that it has never happened. As long as he's in the safe zone though it's alright. A few brothers have made a fuss over it but they don't tend to get much sympathy from the others in such situations.”


 


“Could you give me an ideal of what has caused such disagreements?”


 


“Oh normally some silly little thing. It tends to happen whenever the brother and sister are trying to work out some disagreement in regards to their work. Two common occurrences is whenever the sister is trying to convince the brother to better himself or whenever the brother is trying to give advice about the sister's eating habits.”


 


“By better himself you mean like you making me jog every other morning?”


 


“That's one possibility. Say if you didn't like my methods and started talking to me about it right now. I could get angry and drop you then run off all upset.”


 


“Hm so I should probably wait until we're closer to my home to start complaining about that.”


 


“I'd recommend it.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she gave Joseph's back a quick smack with her tail.


 


“Ouch! How much control do you have over that thing anyway? I swear I didn't think cats had that kind of control.”


 


“Oh they don't.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she focused on her path. “We're not cats though. Joseph do you believe that the Luvarians based our design off cats?”


 


“I believe they drew heavily upon them for inspiration.”


 


“Ah well then you'd be-” Instead of continuing Maria went silent and glanced over her shoulder at Joseph for a moment. “Correct.”


 


A sigh escaped Joseph as he rolled his eyes. “Was that build up really needed? Why cats though?”


 


“They were looking for something ascetically pleasing but also functional. You should see the inside of the citadel some day. It starts off rather simple though functional but as we got deeper and deeper inside the more artful things become. You can also see it in the designs we've found for golems and the like. The mass produced models are pretty much what you'd expect from a golem but the design of the more powerful ones are lovely.”


 


“You mean you've gained access to some of the designs for the golems the Luvarians made?”


 


“A few yeah.”


 


“Why don't you make them then? They could easily help protect the forest.” It actually surprised Joseph whenever he felt Maria's body tense up for a moment.


 


“I. We don't like that ideal very much.”


 


“Is this a tender subject?”


 


“No. I well. I mean. They're not really needed and the creation of the power source for the golems is extremely difficult. We know that there are a facilities in the citadel for the rapid creation of magic power sources but we haven't gained access to it yet. After all the rapid creation of power sources for their golems was one of the Luvarians most powerful and closely guarded secrets.”


 


As Joseph listened to Maria he couldn't help but notice how the tone of her voice changed. Something about the golems had alarmed her. “It's true that producing such energy sources is hard. I guess if you had access to that part of the citadel you'd be working on energy sources for the sisters though.”


 


“Yeah. We probably would.”


 


“Maria what about the golems make you so nervous though?”


 


“I'm not nervous.” Upon finishing Maria noted Joseph's hands squeezing her shoulders a bit tighter as if to tell her he knew she wasn't being truthful. “Fine. The ideal of those golems being mass produced does make me nervous and it's not just because it would be difficult. It's because they don't have any true sense of loyalty. At least the ones we've learned to make don't. They're golems they do whatever their told I don't want a sort of mindless servant that doesn't know why it obeys only that it does wondering around our home.”


 


“Maria from what I know the Luvarians relied heavily upon their golems and artificial creations. That's only what's been recorded though. What did you find in the citadel?”


 


“On the outside they did depend on their golems an awful lot. However, when it came to more important things they tended to rely upon specially made creations. It's those creations that you're still dealing with today though. Some are probably still fulfilling their original function while others have probably gone insane whenever they finished their original task or due to the collapse of the Luvarians found themselves unable to continue the task.”


 


“Maria have any of you ever considered trying to destroy those monsters?”


 


“I'm certain that we could. It's just that we don't really have a reason to do it. Given the reception we tend to get from people whenever we leave the forest why should we help them?”


 


“Perhaps helping them would soften their reception?”


 


“Do you really believe that?”


 


“Not really. I doubt that many would believe you'd even been the ones to defeat it. From what I know most of them are considered rampaging monsters however if what you told me is true then they're not rampaging. They're staying within the confines that was previously set for them. It makes sense as they never left the regions they're located in. However, I guess all those stories of the world rising up against the Luvarians and destroying them are false.”


 


“Not entirely. In the libraries we have access to they are some military type reports. The Luvarians had just ended a very long period of infighting or where nearing the end whenever several of their enemies attacked them at once. In their weakened condition they weren't able to stand. A lot of the Luvarians chose to split up realizing that the guild itself was going to fall.”


 


“Why didn't they take those creations with them though?”


 


“I don't know. I guess it was considered best to make a clean break after everything that had happened. Joseph we can't be sure but after the internal struggle had come to a end we believe half the Luvarians were already dead.”


 


“So this wasn't just a political struggle.”


 


“No. We can be certain there was a lot of blood shed and a lot of using their own creations against them. The creations that are still in operation though are most likely some of the most powerful the Luvarians developed. One we're for certain is still operating is Elle.”


 


“Elle? What is that exactly?”


 


“Well her official title was the elemental focus. Effectively they attuned a beings body to the elemental plain of existence so that she could pull energy from it as fast as her soul could transfer the energy. Well that was the goal from the reports it wasn't a complete success. As the person was a sentient being her will could act as a filter for the type of energy they wanted and the amount as well.”


 


“You mean the elemental storm! That's the Luvarian's fault!”


 


“Don't get so excited she wasn't always like that. The records we have are dated earlier but from the way they talk she volunteered to undergo the change. She was a great source of energy for the guild but they soon hit upon a snag. While her spirit was happy to let elemental energy into this world it wasn't so happy about letting elemental spirits into the world. So while she could provide them with tremendous amounts of raw energy she couldn't really yield the type of energy they needed for their main projects.”


 


“So they abandoned her?”


 


“Goodness no! She was too valuable for that. The reports reveal that she was well respected and treated very well for the service she provided. However, as time began to wear on her state of being began to affect her mind apparently. In altering her body they'd granted her the ability to see things about the world that no one else did. For a while it was beneficial but it wasn't information the human mind was meant to deal with and apparently she wasn't quite able to adapt to it.”


 


“What did they do?”


 


“They began to use order magic to help her keep her mind together despite her state of being. They also began trying to find a way to permanently stabilize her mental state. Unfortunately we never read of them fully succeeding.”


 


“You seem to know a lot about the Luvarians.”


 


“All of us. They're our original creators so of course we want to know about their history.”


 


“Hey Maria I just thought of something. I know that teleportation zones can be created to connect one or more areas. It's difficult but it can be done. Why haven't you placed such devices inside the main village so that the sisters don't have to help the brothers get around.”


 


“Why isn't every major human city connected with such a system?”


 


“Well the magic is quite difficult and the systems can be hard to maintain but it seems like you have the abilities.”


 


“Oh we can build them. You're wrong about the reason every human city doesn't have one though. The reason they don't have one is because of the obscene amount of energy that's required to keep such a system functional. Some cities have them as they were fortunate to be built on top of a lei line or planned that way but ours wasn't.”


 


“I'm not aware of how much energy they require.”


 


“A lot. If we could only get access to one of the core extraction rooms inside the citadel we could set up a system. Even if it was just one of the most basic rooms. However, while we know where some of the smaller rooms are none of us are ranked high enough to enter into them.”


 


“Core extraction?”


 


“They're special rooms built with gates to various mystic plains. While we haven't been into one apparently they were designed to lure beings such as elemental spirits into the world, capture them and then trap them in spirit shards. If only we could gain access to even one of those rooms our lives would be so much easier.”


 


“How did they do that?”


 


“How the heck should I know?”


 


“Ah I see your point. I suppose if you knew how the rooms worked you'd already built your own. I know how a elemental spirit can be captured and contained to be used as a focus or a power source but from the way you're talking these rooms must have been able to do it at an exceptionally fast rate and handle very powerful elementals.”


 


As Joseph was speaking Maria began to slow her pace as they came closer to the library. “Now I'd suggest you hold any comments about the library until you've looked around inside. Also you're right.”


 


“Are we there?”


 


“Yep.” The minute the words left her mouth Maria brought herself to a stop halting in front of a cylindrical twelve meter tall structure. The entire thing was twelve meters wide with a slight over hang. Several columns ran along the structure except in front of the door.


 


“Okay I'm holding my comments.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she let Joseph down and stepped behind him. “Well go ahead.”


 


After a moment Joseph gave a slight nod and approached the structure. The doors appeared to be exceptionally heavy and had clearly been designed to allow easy access to sisters even larger then keeper status. At first Joseph didn't know what to do until he noticed some handles at his level which he took hold of. The moment Joseph hands touched the handles he felt something grasp his body and instantly recognized a slight magic affect. He then gave the door a slight push and slowly opened it. “The handles are enchanted.”


 


“Yep. They give you a little extra strength.”


 


“I guess we'd need it.” Even as he spoke Joseph stepped into the structure and immediately noted that the center of the room was actually open as he came to a twisting stairway. “I see you built the library underground.”


 


“Surprised?”


 


“It's not quite what I was expecting.”


 


“Well don't just stand there.” Before continuing Maria gave a quick leap and landed on the railing leading to the first floor of the library. “Come on oh and shut the doors.”


 


Joseph was caught off guard whenever at shut the door Maria quickly pushed off the railing and began to fall down into the opening. His first response was to try and reach out and take hold of her but he found his motions too slow. Upon closing his hands on thin air he realized how fortunate he was that his reaction had been too slow though. He doubted he could have actually caught Maria and he doubted she needed catching. So after giving a quick sigh he shut the door and began to make his way down the stairway.


 


“Hurry up there slow poke!” Maria had a wide grin on her face as she looked up towards Joseph. She'd seen him trying to take hold of her before she jumped and couldn't help her delight. She'd intentionally insured he wouldn't be able to respond quickly enough but she was glad that he'd tried to save her.


 


As Joseph made his way down into the library he quickly began to realize just how large the structure truly was. The stairway only went down by his estimate seven meters or so though he imagined that was for a purpose. “Maria is it so deep for the larger sisters?”


 


“Yep. Not all of us can fit into here but a good portion of us can even some of the matrons. It was designed so large in anticipation that we would be able to grow larger eventually. Of course we also had to make it rather sturdy in anticipation of that day.”


 


“Is all of it this big?”


 


“No just the first two levels. The levels where all the books are kept are smaller. Once we get so large handling books can be a problem so it's easier just to ask someone to go retrieve a book we want.”


 


“I see.” As he spoke Joseph took note of the stone work and especially how the light reflected off the stone. Upon reaching the bottom of the steps he bent down and ran his hands over the floor. “This isn't natural stone.”


 


“Like I said we had to build it sturdy. It was modified with alchemy.”


 


“Is this entire structure made from alchemically altered stone?”


 


“Nearly all of the stone work is.”


 


“Then, this isn't a recent work is it?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Oh no. This was began shortly after the brothers began to look into the citadel and copy down some of the books they found there. Enough of that though come on.”


 


After a moment Joseph gave a nod and began to follow behind Maria after a moment's hesitation. Part of him expected her to pick him up and take off running as she did from time to time. Instead he found her keeping a nice pace that he could easily match as they walked towards a hall branching out from the entrance. “So is this the center?”


 


“Yeah. From here the library branches out in all directions. The most valuable items we have and the most dangerous are kept on the lowest level while the less valuable materials are up here. Well no. Let's say the most dangerous items are on the lowest level while the safest are on the higher levels. Even if they aren't magical I can't help but think some of the art is quite valuable to.”


 


“So what are you taking me to look at?”


 


“The sculptures. It has the greatest variety of works and they date the longest as well. As you're always asking questions about our history I figure that would be a good place to start. Also if you're wondering. The majority of us like working with stone rather then painting. We're far more use to removing material then we're to adding material.” As she spoke Maria raised her right hand and extended her claws about halfway.


 


“I imagine you get lots of practice at that. So tell me what decides the art that will be kept here and what isn't suitable?”


 


“The library's keepers or community agreement.”


 


In response Joseph gave a slight nod and continued on behind Maria. It was less then a minute of walking at a regular pace that they came to the first work and Joseph immediately came to a stop. What it depicted was two sisters sharing the same waste and legs but having a separate upper body. One of the bodies had one hand extended and gripping the ground with the claws of the other hand at the ready her mouth opened revealing razor sharp teeth. The other figure was holding a small child close to her face and appeared to be gently nuzzling it. The child had its hands on the massive figures face though it didn't appear to be pushing away rather it seemed to be holding on. “I see you like to make things to scale.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she walked over to the statue. “At times.”


 


“Hm you know at first I thought that both those figures were the same sister but when I look again. The one ready to strike appears far more bestial then I've seen any of you while the other one seems to be far more humanoid. The legs seem to be the legs of a sister though.”


 


“What do you think of it?”


 


“Well art isn't exactly my thing. If I had to risk a guess though I would say its your natures. The one ready to attack is your bestial side in its extreme while the one holding the child is your more nurturing nature. It's also interesting that the one holding the child appears to be somewhat larger then the one ready to attack. I would have thought that the beast would be more powerful physically.”


 


“Joseph which side of our nature do you believe rules us?”


 


“Oh I get it. The one holding the child is larger as its meant to show that your more tender side is dominant over your bestial side.”


 


Before Maria could respond another voice chimed in. “Close. You're not entirely right though. The one holding the child is not our tender side. Rather the one in a crouched position is meant to represent our hunger and desire to consume thus the indiscriminate aggression. The one holding the child though is our capacity to reason and not be governed purely by base desires. If the one ready to strike had the child it would be eaten while the one who holds the child insures that it's protected. After all the child's value far exceeds that of food.”


 


Upon hearing the voice speak up Maria glanced over at the keeper. “Well that's your thoughts on it Liana. You know art is open to interpretation.”


 


Liana had a wide grin on her face as she walked over to the statue and placed a finger on the side of the child's head. “The one holding the child is more powerful then the beast because she is more powerful. That's just the way of things.”


 


In response Joseph took a step closer to the statue. “I don't know. They're quite a few beast that are more powerful then a human.”


 


“Oh? Name me a few.”


 


“Tuskers come to mind real quick.”


 


“Joseph who do you think kills who more often. A tusker or a human?”


 


“I guess humans do but that's typically at ranged or with the use of traps. A human without any weapons and no special training is just going to be killed by a tusker.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Liana as she shook her head. “You seem to think a human has to be naked in the woods alone for them to be truly representing their abilities. Humans are tool users and have the ability to reason and plan ahead that's one of their powers. It's a power most animals don't have and that's why humans tend to win. The same goes for us. The sister holding the child knows that everything isn't food she knows to value the child and if it came down to a fight she would use a weapon to protect that child. They're other factors as well.”


 


“I imagine the beast wouldn't have a food source for very long. She would grow larger and more powerful very quickly but soon she'd be out of food. Okay I see your point though I believe they're still arguable.”


 


While Joseph and Liana were still talking Maria had made her way over to another work she hadn't seen before. This one depicted someone in a mage's robes laying down on a simple death bed. His eyes were shut and from the general body structure he was clearly dead. There was both human figures and several sisters surrounding the figure. The work was exceptionally large as Maria noted several figures surrounding the mage. As the figures moved back she noted them changing the ones representing the sisters became smaller while the clothing of the humans changed from elegant robes to simpler and simpler garments. “This is a new one.”


 


Upon hearing Maria Liana glanced over to her. “You do realize how far you've walked I hope.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“Joseph could you even hear what Maria just said?”


 


For a moment Joseph said nothing as he glanced around. He was a bit surprised to see how far away Maria was. “Whoops. I guess I'm holding things up.” With that Joseph began to more run then walk towards Maria. As he did he noted a set of legs moving beside him though far more slowly and he realized that Liana was walking alongside of him over to Maria. “What is that?”


 


Once Joseph was close enough Maria spoke up. “This is a statue of Licon the only person that's held the title of our single leader.”


 


“Licon I've heard that-” Immediately Joseph drew to a stop and looked at the massive statue. “Um he's still remembered in the outside world as well.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she noted the expression on Joseph's face. “You can relax we know what the outside world thinks of the Luvarians and of our first leader. What do you know?”


 


“I know that he was a life mage but he was called the corrupted because of the way that he used his magic. One of the better known stories is how he took a healing spell that was meant to save lives and altered it so that it would heal certain strands of bacteria instead of healing the actual person. He then use this spell to greatly accelerate a plague.”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “That sounds like something that he would do in accordance with his thesis on the proper use of life magic.”


 


“Huh?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she pointed a finger down below. “We have a copy of the book down stairs. What most don't know is Licon was a very proficient writer and he put a good deal of his thoughts to paper. We found the book in one of the first libraries we reached in the citadel. There isn't any magic inside of it exactly but it does go into detail about some of his ideals and what he calls the proper use of life magic.”


 


“What was that for?”


 


“It was to help new members of the Luvarians get a better ideal of how the guild functioned. You know the Luvarians didn't just wait around for mages to join their ranks. They actively recruited and taught those with good natural potential. They even went to orphanages to look for children with high magic potential or at times even moderate potential. They have records detailing what children had such potential where they were found and who was brought along.”


 


“Brought along?”


 


“They were children that didn't have much magic potential and thus little value to the Luvarians that they still took due to being a sibling or close friend of someone who did.”


 


“Maria do you have any ideal how horrible that sounds? It's like they used those kids as tool to motivate the others. Do well so that you and your friend can stay and be taken care of. If you do poorly both you and your friend will be tossed out. Was that the set up?”


 


“As far as we can tell yes it was. They are also records of exceptions though where the tag along child became more valuable then the one who prompted their acquisition.”


 


“Acquisition?”


 


“Ah well depending on the age of the child the Luvarians didn't always take no for an answer whenever it came to bringing them in. Joseph you seem tense.”


 


“Maria, everything I know about this person says that he was a monster not a savior. He was considered a life mage but he earned the title the corrupted because of his use of life magic. The creatures he's alleged to have created are considered some of the most powerful and horrific abominations to have ever existed. It's even claimed that he didn't stop at creating golems or life forms but actually tried to create new forms of demons.”


 


In response to Joseph's comment Liana gave a slight chuckle. “Licon create demons? Not from his journals. As far as we can tell he had a hatred of demons that bordered on obsession at least early on in his youth. You're right about him making several very powerful creations. Though to him they were representations of the power of life magic not abominations. Actually, I speculate that his drive to create new life forms was born from a desire to create a creature capable of preying upon demons. Though he never openly claimed to be trying to do as much.”


 


“You know. In the outside world some speculate that lican were named after him. As if he was there creator.”


 


In response to this Liana gave her head a quick shake. “No. That's not possible. Werewolves existed well before our leaders birth. He actually studied them quite heavily for a while. It frustrated him that they were considered undead whenever there was nothing truly dead about them. He was especially interested in the bond that they shared with the natural and spiritual worlds.”


 


“I see. I. I just can't see this man as a savior though not considering what I know about him.”


 


Now Maria chose to speak up. “Hey now! Is that really fair? After all. You only know what his enemies had to say about him. Why don't you at least read what he wrote and perhaps let us give you a bit of his history before you decide that he was a monster beyond redemption.”


 


“Alright. Why did he make such monsters?”


 


“Liana you're better with history then me.”


 


“It depends on what monsters and I use the word monsters unfavorably here. The none sentient creatures he made were either done upon request or done as experiments. He didn't like making something that could think for itself until he felt the body was well prepared. The driving factor behind these actions though seems to have been a desire to create something. In a way I suppose you could say that he was an artist. He wanted to create the most beautiful artwork that he possibly could and life was the medium that he used.”


 


“Then why were so many of his creations destructive?”


 


“Ah well that was mostly business. Someone would come to the Luvarians wanting this or that and he'd make something for them. I want an army that is completely loyal to my bloodline, can reproduce is fearsome in battle and won't question my orders. That sort of thing. He didn't really produce monsters for free. Those creations that he made himself for his own goals rarely were seen by anyone other then a few other Luvarians.”


 


“Are you serious? He helped lay waste to entire cities with plague!”


 


“The vast majority of those acts were during military actions. You know Joseph. You were going to provide the life bloom to the Gale kingdom before as I recall. Don't you believe they'd use it as a weapon?”


 


“Well yes. Um pardon but I just realized. I don't know your name.”


 


“My name is Liana and it's nice to meet you.”


 


“Fine what about the experimentation on children?”


 


“Ah that. Well I can't deny that it did happen. Even if most of the work he did was done with blanks.”


 


“Blanks?”


 


“Effectively think of them as human bodies without a spirit or soul. They're useful for testing but from what we read costly to make. So he liked to start with adult subjects that were scheduled to die anyway. Murderers, rapist, demon followers and some thieves at times. Actually you really should read some of his works he has a whole list of acceptable test subjects that even if you don't agree with you might like. Anyway, he liked to experiment with them and gain as much knowledge as he could before any work was done with children or newborns.”


 


“That doesn't change the fact that he altered their lives though.”


 


In response Liana gave a slight shrug. “I'm not going to argue the point with you but you really should read some of his works.”


 


This time Maria chose to speak up before Joseph could respond. “Come on Joseph let's move on to something else. I'll get you some of Licon's books and you can read over them and get to know the person better. Don't you think it's only fair to read what he had to say and try to understand his reasons before you pass judgment on him?”


 


“Well yes. You're right about that Maria though I don't believe I could ever understand someone that would experiment on children.”


 


“Oh? Okay then Joseph let me ask you something. If you knew a method to insure that once born a child would never become ill would you use that method on the child?”


 


“Well yes.”


 


“How would you be certain it was going to work though until you tried it? No matter how much testing you do can you ever be absolutely certain that it'll work? That you didn't somehow overlook something?”


 


“Ah well. I see your point. Did he truly turn those children into monsters though?”


 


“Are we monsters Joseph?”


 


In response to Maria's question Joseph gave a slight sigh. “No. You're not monsters. I guess. I suppose there isn't really anything wrong with deciding that a child should be born something different. As long as the child is born better off for it. Maria do you believe that the first of your sisters were human?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Oh no. We were never humans. The womb of our first sisters were specially designed chambers.”


 


Before either Maria or Joseph could speak up again Liana placed her hand against their backs and began to push them along. “Well you decided to move on so let's do so. It has been a very slow week so I want to show some people around. Maria you haven't been here in over a nineteen years so there are lots of new things for you to see.”


 


“Hey. Hey. Human here.” As Joseph spoke he tried to match the pace Liana was pushing them at but finding that very difficult.


 


A slight giggle escaped Liana as she shook her head. “You humans always want to play that card whenever you're feeling lazy. I know that you can move faster then this though now move. Come on there is one I want to show the two of you.”


 


Given that he had just met Liana Joseph couldn't help but be surprised by her statement. Instead of saying anything he began to pick up the pace though it meant that he was nearly running. It actually surprised him how easy it was though only until he considered that'd he had been being made to exercise every morning by Maria for a while. “Alright but why is this so interesting?”


 


“You'll see.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


As Joseph looked at the work he couldn't help but grin. A sister was portray on a boulder with her arms extended and fingers dug into the stone. Her fingers were sunk into the rock up to her knuckles while her legs seemed to be tensed as if trying to keep from kicking. Her mouth was opened up revealing massive razor sharp teeth while her eyes were partly closed. The sister was positively massive even in terms of her muscles and a massive crack going throughout the stone seemed to show just how tightly she was squeezing it.


 


Despite all the power portray in the image it was exceptionally cute. Setting on top of the sisters back was another very young sister apparently as she was no larger then a human child. Along side of the younger sister was a male child as well. Both of the children were working the larger sister's back the human tickling an area just below the base of her neck while the younger sister seemed focused on her side.


 


“It looks like something Allen and Pera would do to Stella.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Liana as she shook her head. “I thought so as well. Though the sister that's pinned is clearly too large to be Stella.”


 


Maria was quick to speak up now. “I think Mina is about the only one of us that has muscles quite that large. Hm Joseph maybe you should ask Dan if Mina has a ticklish spot at the base of her neck? Even if he doesn't know I'm sure he wouldn't mind finding out.”


 


“So Liana do you believe this was made based off Mina?”


 


In response Liana gave her head a quick shake. “It couldn't have been. This statue was actually made before Mina developed her mutation and developed such a powerful body.”


 


It was impossible for Maria to hide her surprise upon hearing this. “Really? I don't recall having seen it before. Then again I could have easily over looked it there's so much.”


 


“Ah well this one was kind of out of the way though I'm not certain why. I found it while searching around earlier and just had to move it up here. We've got so many works showing internal struggles or power or the such near the front that I wanted something that was just really warm and playful.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he got a closer look at the two children on the larger sister's back. “How long ago was this made?”


 


“It was made fifty seven years ago.”


 


“Wow that's a pretty long time ago. Why do you believe the sister was portray as so large though? I thought sisters of Mina's size were rare.”


 


“They are. At least if you're talking about the relative size of her muscles. I believe they made it to enhance the warmth of the image. Here is this absolutely massive figure being pinned helplessly by two children. The sculpture did everything that he could to make the sister as powerful in appearance as possible. I mean even those teeth. I don't think our teeth look quite that vicious.” As she finished speaking Liana gave a smile being certain to show all her teeth.


 


For a moment Joseph said nothing but looked at Liana's teeth. “I can't really agree with you there. Those teeth look pretty wicked to me.”


 


“Well sure pretty wicked but not that wicked.”


 


“You clearly haven't had a good look in the mirror whenever you're smiling.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she took a moment to examine the sister and brother more closely. “You know I just noticed that the sisters tail is wrapped around the brother. However, he's in a better position to maintain his balance. I wonder if he's helping her to stay on or if she's insuring he doesn't fall off. Perhaps it's a little bit of both.”


 


Upon glancing at the brother and sister Joseph spoke up. “Well also, it looks like the sister who's pinned is even insuring that they don't get thrown off. Her tail doesn't look like it's preparing to brush them off but rather it's ready to catch them if they begin to fall.”


 


Before Maria could respond Liana spoke up. “I noticed that to. I personally think that the sister who's been pinned is their actual biological sister and they managed to ambush her somehow.”


 


Now Maria had to respond. “A biological brother and sister that close to one another in age with an older sister like this? Now that's really some wishful thinking right there.”


 


“Oh I know. It's just the way I like to think of the image though. How do you interpret it Maria?”


 


“I believe that they caught her napping. From the way she's position on the rock I'm thinking she was napping in the nice warm sun whenever these two sneaked up on her. I'm fairly certain that she recognized it was a brother and sister who pounced her from the way she's holding onto the rock. They'd have to be close to her to know where to tickle her like that in order to keep her pinned though. From the expression and body language I'm going to say she's laughing really hard. How about you Joseph?”


 


“Ah both of those sound pretty good to me.”


 


Maria gave a slight pout as she looked at Joseph. “Now that isn't how you're suppose to do it. You can't just agree with us you have to give your thoughts on it as well.”


 


Oh? Well I didn't know that. Okay. Let me think. I believe that the sister was pounced by too little monsters and is desperately trying to shake them off before they finish pinning her and consume her insides.”


 


At first Maria found herself at a loss for what she should say as she looked at Joseph. After a moment a slight chuckle escaped her as one did Liana as well. “Oh very funny.”


 


“Well just look at them! It's clear that the boy is focused on keeping her pinned while the girl plans to open her up from the side.”


 


It was as difficult for Liana to keep from laughing as it was Maria. “I guess she is looking rather aggressive at the moment.”


 


After a moment Joseph found it impossible to keep a strait face and gave a slight chuckle. “Honestly I don't know if I would say they're blood related but it's clear they're very close. The look on the sisters face seems to be one of intense delight going beyond even the laughter. I have no doubt that the two scamps that have her pinned with tickle torture are very important to her. Especially with the way she's dug her fingers and toes partly into the stone. She's doing everything in her power to keep her body still to avoid injuring them. One thing that really strikes me though is the size of the sister. If they wanted to show that she was powerful they really didn't need to go that far. Hey Maria, was it you who mentioned that the protectors of the citadel are nearly as large as Mina?”


 


In response Maria gave a nod. “I'm not sure if I was the one that told you that but it's true.”


 


“I wonder if this might have been inspired by them then. Perhaps the original sculptor believed that there was more to them.”


 


It was impossible for Liana to not speak up upon hearing this. “You know that is an interesting ideal. I really wish that we could learn more about them but they just won't talk to us. I wonder if they can talk or perhaps don't understand the language we've been speaking to them. Well languages. Wouldn't that be a shocker?”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“All I said was that my feet hurt and I need a moment to wrest.”


 


“That would just be a waste of time.”


 


“How would giving me a little time to set down and wrest be a waste of time? It would only take five or ten minutes.”


 


“That's five or ten minutes wasted and besides you're not heavy at all.”


 


A sigh escaped Joseph as he leaned his head against Maria's back for a moment as she packed him around. “You know I'm still not used to having help traveling around and this is really pushing it.”


 


“Good. After this maybe you'll be less troubled when being packed to and from work.”


 


“I still find it hard to believe you haven't developed a transportation system.”


 


“It's really not something that we think about very often. They're so few brothers it's just easier to help you get around then have a third life form we have to think about living in our area. Honestly I figured it all started whenever a sister agreed to meet a brother somewhere and after waiting an hour went and got him. At least that's the most likely scenario in my mind. From that point on it became clear we can either wait around for you to show up or go get you ourselves.”


 


“Is there anything that I can do to help out?”

Chapter 12 by happiest_in_shadows
Author's Notes:

Kind of funny. When I actually posted this story this was called chapter 2 not book 2.

“Well you're kind of already doing it.”


 


“How?”


 


“I come and get you every morning at the same time and help you exercise. Then I help you get to work and from there I go on my regular patrol. I come and get you at the end of the day and you might let me do some testing. Hey how do you get to lunch?”


 


“I've been having a few of the sisters that work at the lab bring me back something. Mina's a lot of help there as she tends to bring Dan something to eat now that he's working with me and she brings me something as well. I swear last time I accidentally took a bight of Dan's food though and I thought my tongue was going to fall off. It surprised me later whenever even Dan seemed to be being affected by the heat.”


 


“Oh wow someone must have loaded that down with spice if it was able to make Dan sweet. You see it's not really a big deal.”


 


Joseph went silent as Maria opened up a rather light looking door. He was then going to comment whenever Maria stepped into the room and he saw the vast expanse of books. “Wow.”


 


“Neat huh? We've been building our collection of books since the library was constructed over a hundred years ago. The safest books are kept here. They're not really magic but there is a lot of theory in regards to magic, alchemy, philosophy there are also history books some tactical tomes oh and good stories to read as well.”


 


“Hm do the brothers or sisters ever write stories?”


 


“Yeah. Especially about notable sisters or brothers. There are also some neat fiction works.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as a thought hit him. “Fiction works. Humans seem fond of them so I shouldn't be surprised you are to. However I have to wonder. Most human works of fiction take place in far off lands or places where do your stories take place in?”


 


“Well most of them take place in the forest. One of the ones I remember real well was about a sister that found herself trapped in the kobold caves and desperately struggling to find her way back to the surface. It was after a mission to exterminate them.”


 


“Are you sure that story wasn't true?”


 


“Yeah it involves the ideal that we would leave a sister behind without recovering the body. I'm not saying that it's impossible but it is very unlikely.”


 


“I see. Hm you know you can put me down now.”


 


Instead of responding to Joseph's comment Maria continued to look around. “Okay I think we'll get you a copy of Licon's thesis on life magic. You also wanted to learn some more about me and my sisters I believe so we'll grab a biology book as well. It's been a while since I read those books so give me a moment to try and recall where they are. Then again I suppose it would be best to go to the directory first.” Instead of waiting for Joseph to respond Maria quickly began to sprint along.


 


At first Joseph had been wondering why Maria had ignored his comments. As she began to move though it became more clear why. “Maria just how massive is this place?”


 


“It goes down ten levels and each floor covers the same space as the art gallery if not more so. However, the further you go down the emptier things get. Last time I checked we were no where near filling the bottom floor.”


 


“How many books are there?”


 


“Well once again it's been a while but the last time I checked only seven books were considered dangerous enough to be kept on that floor.”


 


“Could I see those books?”


 


“Oh no. There isn't a chance of that at your ranking. A new brother read those books? That's just not going to happen.”


 


“What do they contain?”


 


“I have no ideal actually. I haven't been permitted to read them either.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she glanced over her shoulder back at Joseph.


 


“Well that is surprising. Then again so is that.” Joseph went silent as they came to the center or what he assumed to be the center of the library and noted a large opening in the floor leading further down. There were tables and chairs around the opening which were occupied by a variety of sisters and brothers. One massive desk surrounded the entire opening and he noted several keepers.


 


“Good day brother and sister. What brings you two here?”


 


In response to the keeper Maria quickly approached her. “I'm looking for a thesis on life magic by Licon and I'm also searching for the latest work on our biology. Joseph here wants to give them a read.”


 


“I see. Licon's work is in the white section the book you're asking for is considered sixth level and it'll be in the l section. As for the other one. Give me a moment.” As she spoke the keeper retrieved a book that was clearly meant to be handled by a keeper and began to search through the pages.


 


While the keeper was searching Maria set Joseph down. “I'll be right back I'm just going to go get the book.”


 


At first Joseph was going to respond but by the time his lips began to move Maria was already gone. After a moment of silence he turned to the keeper. “Pardon but could you tell me what system of organization you're using.”


 


“Sure, white means that we're dealing with life magic, the number is based on how powerful the knowledge within the tome is and finally they're organized alphabetically.”


 


“You mean not every book on this floor is equal?”


 


“No. They're organized in danger from one to ten. As this is the first floor nothing particularly dangerous is here though. Even the tenth only have basic magic spells. On the next floor though it begins again so that even the books rated as a one have some actual spells within them.”


 


“I see. So what does a six mean?”


 


“It contains no actual magic. However, the knowledge could be very easily utilized to better ones abilities. Ah hm. Well the latest book detailing our biology is actually two floors down from here.”


 


“Is that going to be a problem?”


 


A sigh escaped the keeper as she placed a hand on the desk and began to lightly tap it. “Ah well you see. Any brother or sister can borrow a book from the first level. Children aren't allowed to take any books from the second level though and someone that is on probation isn't allowed to do so either.” Once again the sister went silent and began to tap the desk rapidly. “I can allow you to take something from the third level but I'm partly responsible. If you were a rank higher there wouldn't be any problems but.”


 


“It's alright if you don't trust me.”


 


“Would you mind telling me what you need the book for?”


 


“I'm just curious about your biology at the moment and I need something to read while working on the life bloom. Though, the book may help me determine whether or not it's safe for you to eat the life bloom I can't guarantee it'll be of any use.”


 


“I see so it might help with your research but it isn't guaranteed.”


 


“I can vouch for him.” Maria had a wide grin on her face as she stood behind Joseph. The fact that he gave a slight jump upon her speaking only made her grin more.


 


A sigh escaped the keeper as she gave a nod. “That makes it so much easier. Alright Maria if you'll sign off on him having the book so that it's your responsibility to I'll gladly let him have a copy. Joseph you need to realize though that you'll both be in serious trouble if you lose this book.”


 


“I understand. Is there another book that's less secure?”


 


Before anyone else could respond Maria spoke up. “What? Why would you want to know that? You're going to be reading the good one.”


 


“Maria I don't see why you should take such a risk for me.”


 


“Oh please like there is any real risk to this. Tell me where the book is and I'll go retrieve a copy. I believe I heard you say it was two levels down from here. So what section?”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


As Maria looked at the wall she could feel her pulse quickening and she began to stomp the floor nervously. Over the last few months she'd been allowed to start growing again so that even Joseph had noticed her size increase though only when holding onto her. Now she found herself facing a problem though. She was looking at a spot on the wall that she shouldn't be eye level and yet she was. Memories of what happened the last time she grew beyond what was allowed flooded into her mind and what would happen if it was discovered that she'd grown beyond her limits.


 


She wasn't as large as she had been back then however she was still larger then she should be. If she was forced to go to sleep again then it would still require several years for her body to regress to a acceptable level. The thought wouldn't have been so frightening if she hadn't found herself thinking of Joseph and her sister. The last time she'd went to sleep she'd awoken to learn she had a sister who was nearly fully grown. What changes might Joseph and her sister undergo if she had to go to sleep for three or five years again?


 


At last Maria was able to convince her legs to stay still and she took in a deep breath. Cautiously she reached out to the spot on the wall where she'd been last allowed to grow and sunk her claw into it. She then cut a very shallow mark and elevated her claw slightly to cut a spot that was eye level. The difference in positions was far greater then she would have liked but it wasn't staggering either. Perhaps if she was careful and didn't stand next to any guardians for a month or so no one would notice her increase in height.


 


If she could keep her increase in size hidden long enough Maria knew that she'd be allowed to grow to that size eventually. Then she wouldn't have to worry about keeping it hidden. After all she'd only just noticed her increase in size and no one had said anything. Of course, there was also the possibility of openly telling her sisters and brothers what had happened and hoping for some forgiveness. Perhaps they wouldn't force her to go back to sleep but could come up with something else.


 


Which was the best though? Once again Maria found her legs beginning to move and she had to focus to keep herself still. She needed to talk to someone but it had to be someone that she trusted. Her mother was an obvious choice though she was surprised to find Joseph popping into her mind first. He was still a young brother but she knew he wouldn't talk about her growing. As Maria struggled to stay calm though another thought began to enter her head.


 


Just how had she added this extra height to herself? She'd been being careful about what she was eating as she had no desire to be forced to sleep again. Not all foods were equal of course even of the same type but was it possible that she'd been eating one superb specimen after another so that while the quantity was alright the quality was not?


 


After a moment a long sigh escaped Maria and she quickly leaped out of her window. She didn't really think about it but her legs were already moving far more quickly then normal. She didn't want to give anyone time to examine her and notice the extra height she had added. Joseph would be working on the life bloom at the moment so she couldn't go speak with him. People would here her. Her mother would be busy as well however it would be easier for Flora to quit what she was doing for the moment and go speak with her.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“I. I can't believe this.” As Flora spoke she held Maria against herself noting how high her daughter came up on her. She still positively dwarfed her daughter but it was clear Maria was larger then she should be. “I've been checking you as often as I could.”


 


“I've been being careful mom. I don't know how this happened though.”


 


Instead of responding right away Flora bit down on her lower lip. She could already feel a pain forming in her chest distracting her from her thoughts. The ideal of Maria having to go asleep again after making such friends wasn't one she liked. “You have put on some height that isn't allowed. I've been checking you though! This shouldn't have happened.”


 


It actually surprised Maria to notice her mother beginning to shake. For a moment she stepped back from her. She then reached out and took hold of her hands. “Am I that far beyond what is allowed?”


 


“I don't know. You may be forgiven as you were only allowed to wake up so recently it may be considered too cruel to put you to sleep again. I don't know though. If we could only figure out why you'd put on this extra height and could argue that it wasn't your doing. Then I'm certain that the extra height would be forgiven. Maria you know your sister and I have been both watching out for you to try and insure you didn't slip up.”


 


“I haven't been eating more then I'm allowed.”


 


After a moment Flora gave a nod. “That is one of the reasons this is so hard. I believe you. Oh!” Once again Flora reached out and pulled her daughter against herself. “Perhaps something has changed in the environment. We need to check around try and figure out what happened. Maybe you've been exposed to some magic and didn't realize it. Perhaps a lei line shifted and.”


 


“Mom don't you believe our brothers would have noticed that?”


 


“I don't know but we have to think of everything. We need to find someone that could check these things without drawing attention and who'd keep your secret. Maria I'm going to go and check on other sisters who've been patrolling the same path as you have. I want you to go and speak with Dan and Joseph.”


 


“Both of them?”


 


“I know that Joseph cares for you Maria and I know Dan isn't the type to talk about such things. I'm certain that Mina would help figure out what has happened to.”


 


“You believe I should involve all three of them?”


 


“Yes. I also want to speak to Mina and see what she believes we should do. It might be best to go to our sisters and brothers and explain the situation before someone finds out by accident. Just be careful and move quickly. You might have grown a bit but it's not enough to be immediately obvious especially from a distance.”


 


“Alright.”


 


A sigh escaped Flora as she watched her daughter sprinting away. She was confident that given Maria's speed no one would be able to realize how much she'd grown. For the moment though Flora had other concerns. If Maria was growing due to something about the path she was patrolling then those who walked a similar path would probably be growing as well. She needed to check on them and see if that was the case.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Are you sure about this Maria?”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah I'm certain. I checked before I went to find my mother and she checked me several times as well. So any ideals Joseph?”


 


“Maria I don't believe it could have been do to any shifts. Generally the areas where such shifts happen are greatly affected both by the energy leaving the area and by it coming to a new area. I'm certain you would have noticed a change in the area. Even if that wasn't the case though I have to believe one of the mages here would have noticed and brought it up. After all a line is quite a resource well worth tapping into even if it isn't a permanent change.” Even as he spoke though Joseph found himself gathering various bits of equipment.


 


“I know. I know that but maybe something else happened?”


 


“I know that you can feed of mystic energy. Are you sure that you haven't been being exposed to an abnormal amount of energy? It wouldn't have to be a lot at once but rather you could have been being exposed over a long time.”


 


“I don't know. That's why we need you to come examine the area though?”


 


In response Joseph gave a nod as he finished gathering the items he thought he'd need. “Alright then. I believe I have everything and Dan has gone to speak with Mina. Let's just start where you normally go while on patrol and see what we find.”


 


“Alright how should we do this though?”


 


“I'll need to take a reading every two or three kilometers.”


 


“Alright.” As she finished speaking Maria walked over to Joseph and turned around. “Climb on and let's get going.”


 


While Joseph wrapped his arms around Maria he couldn't help but feel nervous. While he'd come to enjoy the company of the sisters and seen several advantage of staying with them his main reason for staying had been Maria. He didn't like the ideal of that reason going away for several years or decades. “I tended to the life blooms earlier so we should have plenty of time.”


 


“Thanks because if we have to stop every kilometer or so for you to set up your gear and take a reading this could take quite some time.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“So what do you want to do Mina?”


 


A sigh escaped Mina as she relaxed her hold on the stone she'd taken hold of moments earlier. A fine sand flowed from her fingers towards the ground. “Of all the things to happen. Well I don't really have a reason to doubt what Maria told you. I'm certain she's been doing her best to watch her food intake. I don't want to tell anyone else.”


 


“Yeah I don't want to see her have to go to sleep again either.”


 


“If it's due to an environmental change that she didn't notice I'll be able to back her completely. Actually, if we can just prove that Maria's not been eating more then she's allowed to then I'll back her with everything I've got. After all. The rule was put into place to keep us from exhausting our resources not to limit our strength. If she's only been taking from the forest what a sister of her standing is allowed then there are no grounds to punish her.”


 


“Huh. That's true.”


 


“Hmm. Our size is just a good indicator of that. Dan how hard would it be to make something that could feed Maria mystic energy?”


 


“Well it's been done before but you know how long those bracelets lasted. Why do you ask?”


 


“I was just thinking. What if Joseph had made Maria one of those bracelets as a gift? It could be responsible for her growth and there would be no reason to punish her as long as he kept the bracelet working.”


 


“That is true but he didn't do that.”


 


“Well I'll admit that he hasn't but if he did then her increase in size could be directed towards the bracelet. Even if it isn't the actual cause.”


 


“Mina! That's being deceptive.”


 


“I know but wouldn't that be better then having Maria go back to sleep?”


 


“Well yes it could be but I don't know if it could work and if everyone found out they'd been tricked or people had tried to trick them they might get upset.”


 


A sigh escaped Mina as she gave her head a nod. “Well it's not like we could have her start wearing it today and claim that it was the cause of the growth. If she could conceal that she'd grown for a while though we could make such a claim though.”


 


“That is true. How about we try to find out why she grew first though and wonder about being sneaky later.”


 


“Alright so where should we begin our search?”


 


“Hm I'm certain that Joseph and Maria are searching her regular path. Did Maria have an altercation with some kobolds a few weeks ago?”


 


“I thought it was more then a few weeks ago but yes.”


 


“After such a long time it seems unlikely that it could have anything to do with her current growth. Especially whenever you factor in what she was dealing with. Flora is undoubtedly searching around for any clues she can find amongst our sisters.”


 


“So you don't believe we should go check on the kobolds?”


 


“No. I believe it'd just be a waste of time. Let's take a few moments and consider what we know about Maria to try and figure out what happened. I know that she does snack from time to time but then again so do you all. Let's see. What's in season right now? After all there is no way she does all her hunting on her patrol.”


 


“We eat a pretty large variety of things so it's impossible to say for certain. I do know a bit about what Maria likes to eat though. I can't think of any fish that would be migrating right now and no animals really. It's getting closer to the cool seasons so some will be fattening up but I'm certain Maria has already compensated for that. Come on Dan. Don't you know of any plants that could be storing up energy for the winter? I know you have a good grasp on your alchemical reagents.”


 


“Alchemical reagents? Let's see they are a few plants that like to store particularly large supplies of excess nutrients. Something with enough energy that it could throw off one of your diets. That would really be quite a plant.”


 


As Mina listened to Dan she took a moment to search around and soon found another small stone. Upon picking it up she worked the stone between her fingers and began to slowly squeeze the stone with various fingers and relax carefully working the stone to a powder as she thought. “It shouldn't be hard to figure out why Maria began to grow. Once we eliminate what it couldn't have been. If we could just eliminate that it wasn't due to her over eating we wouldn't even have to worry about what the actual cause is. Hold on a second.”


 


“Did you think of something Mina?”


 


“Dan do you believe that Maria thought ahead to adjust to the extra energy she was getting from testing the life bloom?”


 


“Actually I don't know. Though Mina on that thought. Have you been adjusting your diet since you started testing the life bloom? I'm not with you all day so I don't know but it doesn't seem like you've been cutting back.”


 


“I um well.” A sigh escaped Mina as she placed a hand against her forehead. “It's my first time being part of such an experiment you know.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “Mina do you believe you could catch up with Joseph and Maria? I believe that you might have figured out why she started growing and they can cut their search short. Good grief I feel better now.”


 


“Yeah I'm certain they will as well. I'm going to run down Flora first though. It's going to be difficult to catch up to Maria given how quickly she moves but Flora should be easy to find. After that we'll both go after Maria and Joseph.”


 


“Mina before you take off. When do you want to bring this up with our brothers and sisters?”


 


“That I'm not certain of. I guess we'll need to speak with Joseph first and explain that his research has had side affects.”


 


“That shouldn't be a problem I'm certain he knew the dangers and his responsibility towards test subjects.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.” As she spoke Flora had her arms wrapped around Mina her face pressed against her much larger friend's shoulder. Tears were pouring from her eyes as she held Mina even as a feeling of intense relief shook her body.


 


Mina had expected Flora to be relieved but she hadn't expected such a strong reaction. As she hugged her friend back she didn't have the heart to push her away. Joseph and Maria could wait for the moment it seems. “You really were worried about your baby.”


 


“It was so hard Mina. The first time I had to help bring Maria back and have her go to sleep. I didn't know if I could take it again. Then I started checking on our sisters and none of them had grown beyond their assigned heights and I got so scared.”


 


For a moment Mina tightened her grip on Flora though she was careful not to squeeze too hard. “It'll be alright now though. We'll have to tell the others but Maria won't be punished and I'm certain Joseph will take responsibility. So everything will be alright.”


 


“I know. I just feel so relieved. I can't believe I didn't think of the test.”


 


“We were all just worried about Maria so we weren't thinking strait that's all.” As Mina spoke she felt Flora relaxing her hold so she relaxed her own.


 


“I'm going to go and tell Maria the good news. I know her path.”


 


“Alright. We'll be waiting for the three of you to come back.”


 


“Um Mina while I'm gone. Would you mind gathering some of the other keepers and higher ranked brothers?”


 


“Huh? What for?”


 


“I don't want someone seeing Maria and believing that she's taking more from the forest then she's allowed to. It would be best if we got all of this out in the open as quickly as possible.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“I swear Joseph I should spank you until you can't set down!”


 


To say Joseph felt awkward was an understatement as he was held against Flora. Maria was exactly opposite held in place by her other arm as she hugged the two of them. While he wasn't certain about exactly what was going on he knew that she sounded happy. He wasn't very fond of the ideal of being spanked but he doubted she meant it. With everything that had happened though he had a rough ideal what was going on. “Did you learn something about Maria?”


 


“Yes! It's your fault she grew those extra centimeters!”


 


“What!” Immediately Joseph's attention turned to Maria who was looking back at him with a blank expression on her face. Apparently she didn't have any better ideal of what was going on then he did.


 


“It was the life bloom you two sillies! I swear Maria you had me so flustered this morning that I didn't even think about those experiments.”


 


Immediately Joseph felt his face heating up as he began to blush. When he looked towards Maria he noted that she'd turned her head away from him but she had an odd smile on her face while her ears were slightly lowered. It was Joseph who spoke though. “Well I feel like an idiot.”


 


“You feel dumb? I'm the one that's been eating the life bloom. I can't believe I didn't think of that. The way it made me feel so full though and I didn't even think to adjust my eating habits. When did you figure this out?”


 


“Mina did. She and Dan were talking and they stumbled upon it. It has to be the life bloom.”


 


While Joseph wasn't going to say something Maria chose to speak up. “Um actually it might not be entirely the life bloom.”


 


“What?”


 


“Joseph you tell her.”


 


“I picked up some strange readings. As we got closer to the kobold's nest the mystic energy in the environment got stronger and stronger. Someone or some group has been using some pretty powerful magic over there.”


 


“We sent Fera down there only a few weeks ago though. She would have slaughtered more then I would ever try to count before she felt sated and destroyed everything above ground. They shouldn't be back to using magic of that quality.”


 


Maria couldn't help her surprise upon hearing this. “Wow. I knew that they had sent someone but to send Fera. It's just the same though they're using some high level magic apparently.”


 


A groan escaped Flora but then she smiled and placed her hand on Joseph's and Maria's shoulder. “We're going to go to the village now and speak with our brothers and sisters. Mina is rounding up people so we can explain what happened to insure you're safe Maria. We'll deal with the kobolds after this has been taken care of.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


As Mirin stood in front of Maria it was easy to see that her eye level was above his. While he didn't keep track of the height allowed for everyone it was pretty clear once standing in front of her that she was larger then she should be. “Well I'll be. So Joseph you say that this is due to the life bloom Maria has been eating?”


 


“Yes that's what we believe.”


 


“Just how much have you been giving her?”


 


“Well we've managed to grow some more of the life bloom so Maria's been eating an entire fruit each day for a while now.”


 


“How long has this been going on?”


 


“A few weeks.”


 


“Define a few.”


 


“I believe that it was a bit less then three weeks ago that she was stepped up to an entire life bloom each evening.”


 


“Nearly three? You mean she's only been eating one a day for two whole weeks and she's already began to grow!”


 


The excitement in Mirin's voice actually surprised Joseph. “Yes but I didn't believe that was anything special.”


 


“Oh well. It's not. I mean the more they exceed what they're allowed to eat the faster they grow until they reach a saturation point but still. There is a margin of safety planned into all of our sisters' eating habits so that they can exceed what they're technically suppose to eat from time to time. The life bloom must have been covering this margin though and pushing her body to grow. Tell me. Has her growth been speeding up or slowing down over the past weeks?”


 


“I wouldn't know. We only noticed her growth today.”


 


At first Mirin said nothing though his face began to turn red though not from anger. Rather he suddenly felt very stupid. “I can't believe I asked that.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Sora as she noted Mirin's expression. Considering that he was now standing in front of a fairly large gathering of well respected brothers and sisters it only made things worse. “Well this is an interesting turn of events. So Joseph how has the testing on the life bloom gone?”


 


“Well we haven't seen any negative side affects in any of our patience but there is a problem.”


 


A sigh escaped Mirin and he made a mental note to thank Sora later. “What problem is that?”


 


“The amount of energy growing several life blooms in the same area releases into the environment just isn't tolerable. I've been monitoring the rate at which the energy bleeds into the area and the energy five or seven life blooms let into the area is sufficient to cause concern. Weren't we going to talk about Maria though?”


 


In response to Joseph's comment Mirin glanced over at Maria. “Well you don't intend to quit providing her with fruit do you?”


 


“Of course not.”


 


“Then there isn't a problem. I must say after hearing this I'm even more eager to begin growing the life bloom in mass. Though it's disappointing to learn that it releases so much energy into the environment. In the end though that just means we'll have to keep the life bloom in an environment where such energies can be managed.”


 


Joseph had already realized from the way they were talking that Mirin was already considering plans to grow the life bloom on a large scale. Fortunately at this moment he wasn't too concerned. “I believe it would be safe to start growing the life bloom if that could be achieved. I would however like to continue my testing there is still a lot to learn.”


 


“I believe that would be best.” Before continuing Mirin turned to face the group of brothers and sisters that had gathered. “I believe we should use one of the old underground facilities. Preferably chamber three to begin growing the life bloom. Would there be any objections amongst you?” Instead of continuing Mirin grew silent and waited for anyone to speak up. “Alright then. Who here agrees with the proposal?”


 


While it wasn't exactly an orderly response Joseph was a bit surprised by the roar that came from the relatively small group. Given the magnitude of the sound he couldn't help but feel the sisters were agreeing far more loudly then the brothers. What really surprised him though was that one of the roars he heard was coming from a source very close to him. He couldn't help but grin as he looked over at Maria.


 


A slight chuckle escaped Mirin as he looked at Joseph. “That wasn't an official vote or decision of course. We'll have to gather all the sisters and brothers ranked eight to make it official but after that I don't foresee us having any trouble. How many seeds of the life bloom do you have now?”


 


“I've managed to collect eighty seven seeds so far.”


 


In response to this comment Mirin gave his head a slight nod. “Well that isn't going to do if we're going to feed all of our sisters.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “Mirin, I do need to say that there is a reason I haven't brought the life bloom up to begin growing it in bulk yet. That is other then the effects it has on the environment.”


 


In response Mirin gave a nod. “What is that?”


 


“None of the sisters I've tested have shown any ill affects from eating the life bloom. There is one thing I haven't tested yet though and that's what happens whenever they stop eating it. Going beyond that though we've still only had a short testing time.”


 


“I see your concerns. Let's talk about it later.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“I didn't mean to put you on the spot like that Joseph.”


 


A grin was on Joseph's face even as he stood next to Maria who seemed noticeably relieved. Currently Sora was setting a ways off just watching the group. “It's alright I do believe that it's safe to begin growing the life bloom. If you didn't intend to put me on the spot though why did you bring up growing the life bloom?”


 


“When I saw what it had done for Maria I got excited and from that point I couldn't back of. Besides, Joseph how do you think all the sisters gathered there would have felt after seeing Maria?”


 


Instead of responding right away Joseph glanced over at Maria who was looking at him as well. “I believe I see your point. We did sort of dangle a steak right in front of them didn't we?”


 


“Oh worse then that.” Sora had a wide grin on her face as all three turned towards her. “You revealed that you've been feeding an exceedingly enticing steak to a small number of us. It's one thing to show us the steak but to feed it to another and not even give us a taste when you could so easily. Now that's just not nice.”


 


Mirin had a wide grin on his face as he nodded his head. “Indeed. I don't believe they would have done anything to harm you but it sure wouldn't have won you any friends here. That said. Well after that little display I suspect you'll be gaining a new rank before too long. Honestly that upsets me a little bit.”


 


“How come?”


 


“You haven't been an official brother for even a year. That kind of rapid progress tends to make me worried but you seem fair enough. Joseph am I correct in my belief that the life bloom produces fruit at an exceedingly swift pace?”


 


“Yeah, the little trees I have now produce two or three every twenty for hours.”


 


“Oh. That isn't tolerable. Not in the least. With such a swift reproduction rate it could easily choke out much of the forest plant life by volume of numbers alone. Still, we already resolved to grow it in confined conditions.”


 


“Well. I'm not so sure of that Mirin. At least about it choking out other plant life. I don't know how well the life bloom does in competing with other forms of plant life or dealing with animal life. Going a step beyond that I don't know how it responds to illness.”


 


“So you haven't infected one of the trees yet?”


 


“They're too precious right now to destroy one of them.”


 


“You have a point there. Actually, I imagine our sisters would be quite upset if the majority heard me make that comment. How long do you have to test the life bloom to see what happens whenever someone stops eating it?”


 


“It'll take a few weeks even with the life blooms growth rate to begin producing fruit. Even then it won't be enough to feed all the sisters for some time. I just don't know who's going to be willing to quit eating the life bloom.”


 


Well before Mirin could respond Maria spoke up. “I will.”


 


It was impossible for Mirin or Joseph to hide their surprise though Mirin was the one that spoke up. “Maria are you certain that you want to do that? I'm sure we could have one of the sisters that haven't been eating the life bloom as long as you try.”


 


“I'm certain. After all, we need the one that's been eating the life bloom the longest to be the test subject and that's me. How long do you believe I'll need to quit eating it to get an accurate result?”


 


“I believe that a week would be more then long enough unless symptoms of withdraw began to show up. Then we'd need to extend the time and see how bad they got.”


 


“Alright Joseph. Then I guess I won't be eating the life bloom today.”


 


Before Joseph could respond Mirin chose to speak up. “Maria wait until tomorrow. We all know what happens if you don't eat enough to sustain your body already after all. I'm going to speak with some of the others and see if we can increase the amount you're allowed to eat to compensate for no longer eating the life bloom. If I can't get anyone to agree on increasing your food intake I'll provide you with healing potions myself.”


 


“Wow I didn't expect that from you Mirin. That sounds nice though. I'd appreciate it.”


 


“Um Maria, I believe that you just insulted me.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she gave a rather toothy smile. “Whoops I might have.”


 


Before Mirin could respond some chuckles could be heard coming from Sora who had covered her mouth. When she noticed that Mirin and the others were looking at her the laughter only became all the stronger. “I,m sorry. It's just-” For a moment Sora quit speaking as her laughter overcame here though she held a hand in the air to signal she wasn't done speaking yet.


 


At first Mirin had intended to wait for Sora to regain her composure but after a short while it became clear that wasn't going to happen. “Maria surely that isn't fair. I just want what's best for all our sisters and brothers that is all.”


 


“I know. That was a little mean of me. You just tend to stick to the rules so rigidly though.”


 


“Well this is a special case. Besides the fact that you volunteered will let me push for you to gain a new rank even harder now.”


 


“Harder? You mean you've been trying to get me promoted to a guardian.”


 


By now Sora had calmed down a bit and found herself able to speak. “Mirin that's the second time today.”


 


A groan escaped Mirin followed by a sigh. “Maria you have one of the most powerful mutations we've seen in a while. So yes I would like to get you promoted to a guardian so you can better make use of that power.”


 


“Thanks.”


 


At first Mirin said nothing but waited for another comment. When none came he gave a grin. “You're welcome. Now Joseph I'm going to be looking into having you promoted as well.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“The life bloom is turning out to be very important which isn't surprising. It just won't do to have a rank five brother in charge of such an important project. Even if such rapid progress tends to worry me. That said you know more about the life bloom then anyone so you're also the most qualified. I'm sure I can leverage that and the results we've seen with Maria to convince the brothers to promote you.”


 


“Ah thank you. What about the sisters though?”


 


“You've just provided them with a great deal of hope for a wonderful new food source. You'll have the sisters backing I've no doubt about that.”


 


“You're darn strait he will!” A wide grin was on Sora's face as she looked at Joseph. “Still, I have to ask. How long were you going to continue your testing?”


 


“A few weeks or months really isn't normally enough time to test something people are going to be ingesting like this. If I had my way it would have at least been for a fourth of a year before I was fully satisfied. As sure it doesn't have any immediate harmful affects on the people eating it. That we've confirmed. However, we don't know about the long term affects. For all I know it could make you sterile or diminish your ability to absorb mystic energy. That said after reading about your biology my fears have diminished.”


 


As Maria spoke she placed a hand on Joseph's shoulder. “Why is that?”


 


At first Joseph said nothing but took note of how much further he had to look up to look Maria in the eyes. “You know it's going to be strange seeing you as a guardian. If you stand close to me like this and make me look up I'll probably end up staring at the underside of your breast.”


 


“Ah don't worry I won't mind.”


 


“The more I learn about you the more I realize you're meant to not just be strong from the start but you're also meant to adapt to new conditions. It shouldn't be surprising considering how your body grows the more energy you take in. I'm beginning to wonder if they are many toxins that you couldn't adapt to given enough time and regular exposure.”


 


End Book 2

Chapter 13 by happiest_in_shadows

“I can't see the opposite wall.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Mirin as he glanced over at Joseph. “Yeah it's pretty far back.”


 


“Exactly what was this place made for again?”


 


“Oh it was made back whenever the Luvarians were in charge. It could be used for storage, large scale projects or they could build within it in order to expand the guild hall above. I think this particular area was meant to be an additional lab though. They already had several things put into place to supply energy to the area plus they're the crystals.” As he spoke Mirin pointed towards the roof.


 


“Mirin do you ever fear running out of materials? It seems to me that you make use of a lot of things the Luvarians left behind.”


 


A sigh escaped Mirin as he gave his head a nod. “We do. We do. They're in total three hundred fist sized sun crystals in the roof with a master crystal in the center about the size of a person. We've actually got the knowledge to make additional sun crystals if they're damaged though the big one would be very difficult. However, whenever I think of how many decades it would take to replace all these crystals. I feel physically ill. In truth that's the situation we're in with a lot of things here.”


 


“Has anything ever failed?”


 


“You mean other then the energy supply system for our sisters?”


 


“Yes.”


 


“Nope. Not a thing.”


 


“In all this time you've never used up all the materials left behind?”


 


In response Mirin gave his head a quick shake. “Nope. We work hard to replace anything that is damaged. Like I said I don't like the ideal of all those sun crystals being broken so we just work very hard to insure that none of them are broken. That said some do get broken every once in a while or die on us but we're quick to replace them. Regular maintenance does wonders to prevent a disaster.”


 


Before continuing Joseph began to walk further into the large area. As he did so he looked around and took note of several sisters and brothers working. The sisters were carrying and assembling various pieces of construction material providing the plots the life bloom would need to grow in and setting up the irrigation system. As he watched one thing caught his attention. One of the sisters was packing a rather massive stone container above her head with absolutely no sign of strain upon her face. Indeed she was smiling happily despite the container being several times her volume. “Mirin I have to ask. Just how strong are our sisters?”


 


“That's pretty variable really. It takes quite a big difference in strength for it to begin to show on our sisters body. So while two sisters may look the same their strength can be quite different plus they're their relatively scales to take into account.”


 


“Could you give me a relative guess?”


 


“Joseph, Stella's daughter Pera can take a rock the size of your head and crush it between her hands. Our sisters can tackle one another and either seriously damage or knock over a tree thicker then you are tall get up and continue playing. Our sisters have no trouble tearing apart trolls and only truly large dragons are cause for them to show concern. I don't believe you should be surprised whenever you see them working. After all you've also been to see the museum.”


 


“Hm not quite the answer I was looking for but you have a point. How long do you believe it'll take them to fully prepare this place?”


 


“It's hard to give me an estimate they've an unusual eager about this construction project. Not that I'm saying they're not usually eager but this really goes beyond anything I'd anticipated. Honestly if we just had to worry about our sisters finishing the work I'd say you only have a few days to wait. However, that isn't the only concern. Our brothers are having to prepare special glyphs to channel the energy that the trees allow to bleed into this world. Unfortunately it's going to take quite a few glyphs due to the multiplicative nature of the energy released into the world and the number of trees in the area.” For a moment Mirin went silent and took a moment to rub his right hand.


 


“Is something wrong Mirin?”


 


“I was working on making the glyphs earlier. My fingers are still a little sore but when I think about how many we're going to need I can't help but believe I should get back to work.” As Mirin was speaking he felt something suddenly smack him upside the head. The force wasn't enough to harm him but the face full of fur he got told him that it'd been one of his sisters tails.


 


“Mirin don't push yourself too hard. After all if you mess up on one of the glyphs it just means you'll have to destroy it and start all over again. Hey Joseph it's good to see you again.”


 


“Hey Alexa what are you doing down here?”


 


“Working naturally.”


 


“Don't they need you back in the market to help keep the peace?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Alexa as she quickly shook her head. “You haven't been to the market as of late have you?”


 


“Not in a while I've been a bit busy.”


 


“Since construction here began it's been pretty empty so they aren't really a whole lot of things to keep track of. The only time things fill up is meal time and the rest of the time most of us are here or taking care of other tasks.”


 


“I probably should have guessed as much. I just hope that whenever we actually begin growing the life bloom it proves worth it. Especially after seeing how much effort you're all putting into getting this place-” A massive impact suddenly silenced Joseph and a loud roar could be heard seconds later. Seemingly the second he heard the roar though he felt a rushing of air and something flashed in front of his eyes. Whenever he turned to look at Alexa again she was gone.


 


For a moment Mirin said nothing but looked in the direction Alexa had ran off to. “Well that isn't good.”


 


“Mirin what's going on?”


 


“Apparently something happened going by the sound of that impact I'm guessing something was broken. At least one of our sisters are extremely angry at the moment.”


 


“How do you know that wasn't a call for help?”


 


“It's the pitch of the roar. We don't have our sisters ears but after a while you learn to get the basic ideal of what's going on. That wasn't a cry for help it was a roar of anger. What's worse though is it was a challenging roar which means at least one of our sisters is upset with another. We should be fine though I doubt Alexa will allow anything to get out of hand and if a fight does break out the odds are it won't come our way.”


 


Alexa gave a sigh as she noted two large containers shattered into extremely small fragments. Two sisters were currently glaring at one another and from the way their bodies were tensed they were ready to attack. “Hold it right there both of you!”


 


Upon hearing their sisters voice both of them turned towards the source. Upon seeing a keeper standing there the both of them quickly relaxed their bodies and withdrew their claws. Risara was the first one to speak up. “I-”


 


“Quiet!” Alexa had learned long ago that in such a situation you don't let one of the combatants speak first. The story tended to always be one sided and could relight the fires very quickly. Instead of talking to them she turned to another near by sister. “How did this get broken? Just tell me what you saw.”


 


The sister who'd been questioned wasn't quite a guardian yet and given that the two being questioned were she felt a bit out of place. Not so out of place though that she was going to lie to a keeper though especially Alexa. “I wasn't looking when the actual collision happened but they bumped into one another while moving. Then I heard them yell at one another and it looked like they were about ready to fight.”


 


“Hm so you didn't see what happened?”


 


“No. I was just working on this.” As she spoke the sister stepped aside and allowed Alexa to see the piping she'd been working on.


 


At first Alexa said nothing but looked over the piping. It was clear that she was working on a major junction so she probably was indeed completely focused. “I see. Thank you for your time. Okay did anyone else see what happened?”


 


Zerana took a few steps closer to Alexa as she spoke. “I didn't see it exactly but I felt it happening. Risara was going to the right while Austella was walking towards the back. It was pretty clear that one of them would have to either stop and let the other pass first or alter their path a little bit. For some reason they didn't and they just bumped into one another.”


 


A sigh escaped Alexa as she looked at the two in question. “Austella you go first."


 


"I was just carrying some extra equipment to the back whenever Risara walked out in front of me. I couldn't just stop or I could end up breaking what I was packing she should have known to change directions.”


 


“Oh? And just why would yours have shattered?”


 


“Can't you tell? Thanks to its mass and dimensions any sudden movement can cause it to shift and fracture.”


 


For a moment Alexa looked at the bit of material Austella was packing. It sure didn't appear fragile to her. “Then you shouldn't have been walking so quickly to begin with. Risara what is your reason for not stopping and letting Austella pass?”


 


“She's lying! There is no way that would have broken if she'd just slowed down or even stopped. I was already passing through though so I didn't see a reason to stop.”


 


“You little bitch! You were much further away then me you even sped up.”


 


“I did not! You're the liar here. You lied about those kills and now you're-”


 


“Enough!” Alexa gave a sigh as she placed a hand on her forehead. While she wasn't certain of what had happened she was getting an ideal of what's happened. Apparently the two had something of a disagreement previously. More then likely either of them could have stopped but they'd chosen not to yield to the other. “It seems that there is something more here then construction. We'll get around to that later but it seems to me both of you handled your responsibilities poorly. Now I'm going to have to decide what to do about that but for now you two are going to clean up the mess you made in silence and without touching one another.”


 


Instead of arguing with Alexa both guardians quickly began to pick up the bits of broken stone and other materials. Given the situation they knew that whichever one of them spoke first would be in more serious trouble then the other.


 


What had inspired the bad blood between the two sisters was apparently hunting related. As Alexa watched them cleaning she found herself dwelling on the best way to handle the situation. If she knew who had truly wronged the other it would be simple to solve but then again this was probably a misunderstanding at the core of it all. She could confine the two of them to their homes for one meal to punish them but that seemed a bit harsh. There were no brothers in the area and the materials that had been damaged were easily replaced.


 


Risara put extra energy into her step as she carried the broken materials away and discarded them. Upon her return trip she made it a point to grab a small container to help her carry larger loads in hopes of pacifying Alexa. If she could at least show her some good will the punishment would be less though she was still quite angry with Austella. There was actually a smug grin on Risara's face when she returned to find that Austella hadn't had the same ideal.


 


It was hard for Austella to keep from saying anything or at least growling but with a keeper near by she knew better then doing that. She could see and even feel that grin on Risara's face to the point that it was hard to endure.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


 


 


“Do you believe everything is alright?”


 


“I believe that Alexa will resolve the situation. I just hope nothing difficult to replace was broken. So you're sure that the containers are deep enough for the life bloom's root system once it grows to an adult?”


 


“I'm quite certain of it. The soil will need constant replenishment but it should be alright. Especially with the system that's being placed in here. Was that something left behind by the Luvarians as well?”


 


“Yes they used a similar system for large scale production of difficult to retain reagents. It worked quite well but sadly backfired on them whenever the guild began to collapse. Those in charges of guild halls with such systems used them for leverage.”


 


“What about the forest guild hall?”


 


“We're not sure how it was kept out of the main struggle. It seems fairly likely that our first sisters were used to keep anyone from trying to take over by force.”


 


“That would mean that the sisters could be used against the other Luvarians though. Didn't they condition them so that they would be loyal?”


 


“We're not clear on the finer details. I imagine such records are inside the citadel but they were probably regarded as classified and thus are in a high security area we can't get into yet. It's theorized though that whatever changes the Luvarians underwent though it caused the sisters to no longer recognize them as the makers of their bodies. After all, how long do you believe our sisters would see us as brothers if we started treating them as slaves?”


 


“I see your point. What happened to the Luvarians that were here though?”


 


“They were the first brothers.”


 


“Could you elaborate a bit more?”


 


“After the struggle that consumed the guild the Luvarians that remained here and chose to stay within the forest and continue their studies realized their relationship with the sisters had to change. They became the first brothers while the highest ranked one was their natural leader. He was also the one the sisters trusted the most so he became the leader of all by default.”


 


“Okay I believe I understand that. How did you all end up locked out of so much of the citadel though?”


 


“That's one of the more unfortunate parts. You see the protective glyphs had already been put into place by the Luvarians themselves. They were after all meant to insure that only those authorized couldn't gain access to certain facilities and knowledge. Of course of those remaining only our leader had full access to each room. We believe that he intended to teach those that remained behind as brothers so that they to could gain access to such rooms but he put our sisters hunger and solving that problem as his top priority so the lessons were slow.”


 


“Then he dies before he can begin seriously teaching the remaining brothers. So do you have access to all areas the first did?”


 


“Indeed we do. We've even expanded our reach a little bit and have made our way into the apprentice's library.”


 


“Apprentice?”


 


“It's the way the Luvarians worked. Whenever they would take in children they originally had access to the students library or certain portions of it. Once they progressed beyond that they were assigned to an accomplished mage as an apprentice. Generally they were assigned in groups of five and they would take on tasks for the master from researching material for the master to preparing basic formulas. This is when they began to seriously work off their debt to the guild if one existed. After this time of apprenticeship they became a Luvarian and allowed to begin choosing their projects.”


 


“So the brothers of the time were all students? None of them had earned the rank of apprentice?”


 


In response Mirin gave his head a quick nod. “Yes but keep in mind what one had to do in order to be considered a true Luvarian potions and spells weren't enough. They had to show true ability in the art of golem maknig at the very least. Though in all honesty I believe you'd be well on your way to being a true Luvarian if they still existed as they did back then.”


 


“What makes you think that?”


 


“You created a new life form which was their primary focus and interest.”


 


“So Mirin are you allowed into the apprentice library?”


 


“Indeed I am. Not only that but I'm allowed access to the hallway for the basic spirit shards extraction chambers.”


 


“The hallway?”


 


“Well yes. Typically an official Luvarian and a few apprentices would handle the extraction of basic shards there. So I'm allowed to go examine the door but it won't actually let me in. I swear I had the day lights scared out of me one day there. I was examining the chamber door and seeing if I could do anything to get it to open whenever I noticed a citadel protector was watching me. At first I thought I'd broken a rule without realizing it but she just kept on watching me. It was only after I backed away from the door that she approached me. Instead of doing anything to me though she proceeded to examine the door and then stepped away.”


 


“What do you believe she was doing?”


 


“I believe she was checking to see if I'd damaged the door in some way. That or she was checking to see if it had been damaged and perhaps I was trying to fix it.” A sigh escaped Mirin as he gave his a slight shake. “If only I had the knowledge to even begin repairing that door though perhaps I could figure out a way to open it.”


 


“Are you sure that would be wise? After all, if no one even qualifies to open the door what's the odds of them qualifying to use the facility within?”


 


“That is true. Well Joseph I believe I've taken enough time to wrest. I'm going to resume my work. Why don't you take this time to go look around and see how things are shaping up? If you find something that doesn't seem suitable to the growth of the life bloom just inform one of the other brothers or a keeper.”


 


“Alright.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Hey Joseph how are things going?”


 


Upon hearing the voice Joseph glanced up and over to Dan who was approaching him from behind. “Dan, where have you been?”


 


“I've been overseeing the implementation of a few of the enrichment systems. You know I don't think I've ever seen our sisters this happy to be working on construction. Well no that isn't right. There is one time I can think of them being even happier and that's whenever one of them learns she's pregnant so she begins working on the cribs.”


 


“Cribs?”


 


“Ah yeah, they like to prepare two encase the child is another sister or encase the child is human. You can imagine that cribs for sisters and those for brothers have to be built differently.”


 


“Ah I see. Dan I need to ask you something.”


 


“Well then ask away.”


 


“While I can understand the need for a controlled environment to grow the life bloom now that we know how it affects the world around it. We can't just let it grow out of control. Is all of this really necessary? The life bloom isn't exactly some insanely delicate creation that requires a constant supply of nutrient enriched water and it's roots would be perfectly fine with bedding only two thirds of what's being put in.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he took a seat next to Joseph. “I can still remember feeling like you feel whenever I first came here. I nearly fell over once I was promoted to the rank of brother and given my own place to work in. Though I believe I was more shocked whenever I saw my home. Listen Joseph while this all may seem excessive in some ways this isn't just a facility to produce healing potions to our sisters. Rather it's a farm that will be providing a significant increase in their food supply an increase they desperately desire. So they're doing everything within their power to insure that the life bloom is well taken care of.”


 


“I guess I still don't fully understand how important this is to them.”


 


“You will in time but on to some more important concerns. I don't believe we really have enough seeds. I think some of our sisters have forgotten that it's going to take the life bloom time to grow even once this is all finished.”


 


“Do you believe that'll cause some problems?”


 


“Well I want to release some of the food from storage and let our sisters have a big feast once this is all finished. I don't mean a normal feast either I believe it would be best if they could eat as they desire for three days or so. After such a celebration they should be a bit more relaxed so they're easier to talk to. Though I would also like to begin providing healing potions in limited doses to stand in for the life bloom.”


 


“Dan don't you believe that's a bit much?”


 


“It's a little risky to be honest as it'll take a bit away from our reserves but it's not like it'll empty the storehouses and besides. It's not like there is a drought.”


 


“It would be nice and I'm pretty sure it would make Maria and the others very happy. On the subject of Maria though I believe I need to get going.”


 


“Ah yeah she's going to be moving in with you isn't she?”


 


“Yeah I have to say it's a little strange. She visited me often enough that I got used to her being there but I never imagined she'd move in with me. Dan why do so many sisters tend to live together rather then in individual homes anyway?”


 


“They like to roam and several actually do have their own homes. However, whenever some of them go out for days at a time it's nice to have someone help with the house. Besides not all of them like the ideal of sleeping inside of a building.”


 


“You mean they prefer to sleep outside?”


 


“Yeah, I think they're a little more in touch with their predatory nature and feel more at home where they hunt.”


 


“Hm interesting we'll have to talk about that more later.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“I can't believe you did that.”


 


A sigh escaped Maria as she looked at her sister for a moment. “I can't help it I'm still getting used to this new height and strength.”


 


An amused giggle escaped Mira as she stood up and walked over to the door frame Maria had just taken a rather massive chunk out of with her head. “I wonder how old this place is. Most of the homes were built to accommodate sisters of at least guardian status then again.” Instead of completing what she was saying Mira reached out and took hold of her sisters arms. She then lifted Maria and set her down so that they were looking at one another eye to eye. “Nope, pretty much the same height.”


 


For a moment Maria was silent as she looked into her sister's eyes. Without comment she then reached out and took hold of Mira's arms and with the same ease that Mira had lifted her separated her sister from the ground. She then placed Mira in the spot she'd been standing in moments earlier. “I guess I'll just have to go through here and make all the door frames higher.”


 


Picking up another sister and moving her was something that any sister could do to another with a fair amount of ease so long as it wasn't a matron. Even little Pera had more then enough strength to lift her own mother and move her if she desired. However, such acts were seen as exceptionally rude and it was considered best to only do such things when with someone you were truly close to. “Would you like me to help out a bit?”


 


“If you don't mind it'd be nice.” As she spoke Maria easily sunk her claws into the stone wall and began to slowly cut away a section of it.


 


“Hey Maria when do you think you and Joseph are actually going to have sex?”


 


“I'm not really sure I believe that he's interested in me and I'm interested in him. Now that we're living together I imagine it'll be pretty soon.”


 


“Are you going to share the same bed?”


 


“I sure hope so. What about you Mira is there anyone you're interested in?”


 


“Not at this moment.”


 


“So who was that guy I smelt on you a few nights ago?”


 


“You mean you couldn't tell?”


 


“The scent was kind of familiar but I couldn't really replace it.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mira as she gave her sister a toothy grin. “Well perhaps the problem is that you're trying to think of one guy with that scent.”


 


“One guy? You mean there was more then one!”


 


“Maybe.”


 


“Hey now don't play that way. Was there more then one.”


 


Before speaking Mira took the time to find another door frame that needed increased in height and sunk her claws into it. “Well yes.”


 


“Now how did you manage that? It's hard enough to get a brother away from our sisters for a little private time and you managed to get two.”


 


“Secret.”


 


“I swear I wouldn't believe you if I hadn't smelt it on you. Come on! How did you manage to get away with what? It's not like I'm going to try and steal your guys away I have Joseph now.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Mira as she turned to face her sister. She then lowered her voice so that a human couldn't have heard her even if he'd been standing next to her. “It was a few nights ago in the dining hall. There weren't many sisters around and I'd brought in some food to be prepared for the morning whenever I heard them talking to one another. They were talking about our stamina and how hard it was to keep up with us so I decided to go over and do a little flirting.”


 


“That's it?”


 


“That's it.”


 


“Were they drinking?”


 


“Ah well I smelt a little alcohol on them. It seemed to make them more receptive to the ideal of trying new things though.”


 


“You're just lucky another one of our sisters didn't notice them before you did.”


 


“Yeah I'd have to agree. It seems like Joseph will be back soon.”


 


“Yeah I can smell him already.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Maria are you here?”As Joseph entered the building he took a moment to look around.


 


“Yeah Joseph I'm in here just getting some things set up.”


 


As he listened to the voice Joseph began to walk towards it. “Where is here exactly?”


 


“In the master bedroom.”


 


With those words Joseph quickly hurried his pace. “Just what are you arranging?”


 


“Just some minor things come on in.” As she spoke Maria continued setting up her dresser. The heavy tower of shelves only held a relatively small number of clothes but it was filled with a wide variety of other things. That wasn't what interested Maria most though. She wondered how Joseph would responded to the new bed.


 


Upon entering the room Joseph's eyes didn't go to the bed like Maria had hope but rather to the dresser. “Woe. What's all in there? I didn't think that sisters tended to wear much clothing.”


 


“We don't but they are other things we like to keep on hand.” As she spoke Maria opened one of the drawers and withdrew a thin stone plate and held it up for Joseph to see. “For example these are fairly necessary to keep on hand.”


 


“What is it exactly?”


 


Instead of responding verbally Maria extended her claws and pressed them into the stone slab. She then slowly drew her claws over the stone cutting a very tiny groove in it. “Claw sharpeners. You know how you humans clip your fingernails? Well we use these.”


 


Having seen Maria use her claws to cut through metal and stone alike Joseph was actually a bit surprised whenever her claws didn't go through the thin rectangle of stone. “Is that natural stone?”


 


“Nope. It's been strengthened by alchemy.” A sigh escaped Maria as she began to work her fingers over the bit of rock even more vigorously. Bright sparks soon began to radiate from the stone and fall to the floor where they quickly began to dim. After a few moments Maria turned the stone so that Joseph could see it. “The recent batch has been really terrible.”


 


“Are you sure it's the stone and not that you've gotten stronger?”


 


“I'm positive. Mira and Mina have mentioned the same thing. Poor Mina, she used to go through a tablet a day trying to keep her claws under control. With these though she's going through three to five to get the same affect and it's starting to get frustrating.”


 


“Why the frustration?”


 


“You know how I was working my claws a moment ago? Well that's sort of a good speed. We like it when we get in there and start being real aggressive. If we always go slowly then it takes forever to get done. Mina though, if she starts to get aggressive with this most recent batch she just claws them into little bits.”


 


“I see. So what do sisters like Sora use?”


 


“Larger tablets typically.”


 


“That makes sense.” As he spoke Joseph continued further into the room so that he was standing near Maria. Even while she was setting it was amazing to see how tall she'd become now. “I'm glad that they let you stay at guardian height.”


 


“Really?” Before continuing Maria placed the tablet down and turned so that she was facing Joseph. She then brought her right arm up and place it against the back of her head while placing her left hand on her thigh and thrusting out her chest. “Now is that because you would have missed me or because you like what you see.”


 


While Joseph had adjusted to Maria's ways a bit he couldn't help but grin as he looked at her. “A bit of both I suppose.”


 


“So you like me bigger?”


 


“It's not something I ever gave much thought before I came here but yeah I believe that I do.”


 


“I bet that you really like that these are bigger.” As she spoke Maria lifted her left hand from her leg and pressed it up against the underside of her right breast. As she did so she couldn't help but notice the expression on Joseph's face. The grin on her own seemed to grow and she gave her breasts a slight push causing them to bounce lightly.


 


“I um. Well those are. Those are quite nice indeed.”


 


“Would you like to touch them?”


 


“Huh?”


 


An amused giggle escaped Maria as she removed her hands from her head and breasts. She then reached out and took hold of Joseph's wrist and pulled him forward so that his hands were only centimeters from her breasts. “Would you like to touch them?”


 


At first Joseph had no ideal how to respond to this as he felt his heart rate speeding up. “Maria what's going on?”


 


“Mm nothing much just experimenting a bit with my partner. I know you've seen my body and you've said you find it beautiful but you know you've never really touched.” With those words Maria pulled Joseph's hands forward and pressed them against the front of her breasts. At first he seemed to recoil in surprise but very quickly all resistance stopped and instead he gave her breasts a light squeeze.


 


As Joseph lightly squeezed the front of Maria's breasts he found himself looking into her eyes. A soft rumble reached his ears moments later and for a moment he looked away only to realize that the sound was coming from Maria. He didn't say anything as he realized she was purring nor did he remove his hands whenever she released his wrist and reached around him. One of her hands pressed against his back and the other pressed against his rear. Both of her hands pushed him forward and Maria brought her face closer.


 


There was no hesitation on Maria's parts as she pressed her lips against Joseph's her massive left hand reached down and gently gripped his thigh. “You've toned up since the last time I really examined you.”


 


“I should hope so. You sure have been making getting to work interesting.”


 


“Ah surely it's not all bad.”


 


“Of course. Time spent with you can never be all bad.” Before continuing this time Joseph leaned forward and placed his lips against Maria's. Whenever she returned the kiss he let one of his hands slip from the front of her breasts and slide down so that it was underneath that massive globe. He then pushed upward noting the massive weight of the single breast. “You know I bet these could do some real damage.”


 


“You're probably right. You know there was more then aesthetics to making you exercise.”


 


“Oh and what's the other reasons.”


 


“Your health for one and even more importantly.” Instead of continuing right away Maria brought the hand that held Joseph's leg even higher so that it very lightly brushed against his crotch. “You're going to need a lot of stamina if you're going to be with one of us. Especially someone like me.”


A slight gasp escaped Joseph as he looked into Maria's eyes. While his fingers had been spread when initially pressed against Maria's breast now they were made to close together. It didn't take him long to find what he was searching for as he gave Maria's nipple a gentle squeeze. As he did he felt the bit of flesh swell between his fingers. He then felt one of Maria's hands against the back of his face and he was once again pulled forward so that their lips met. As their lips met though he felt something sliding up along the inside of his leg much like her hand had done before but quite different in nature.


 


Marian brought her tail up against Joseph's leg and slid it along until her tail pressed against the crotch of his pants. She then began to slowly move the appendage back and forth noting the change in Joseph's heart rate and breathing as she did so. This time as she broke the kiss Maria's hand slipped down Joseph's back and her claws extended so that they cut into the material of his shirt. The very tip of Maria's claws pressed against Joseph's flesh as she slid them along.


 


Joseph knew that with the slightest bit of force against those claws and they'd slize him right open. The thought actually served to stimulate him as under Maria's gentle touch those razor sharp weapons only served to tickle him. With her exploring his body more and more Joseph allowed his hand to glide further down Maria's stomach so that it rested just below her belly button he then pressed two fingers into her stomach and began to draw them along her lower abdominal muscles. At the same time his left hand pressed against Maria's side and began to lightly rub her just under her arm.


 


Soon the back of Joseph's shirt had been opened so that Maria pressed her hand against flesh instead of cloth. Instead of stopping there though her claw returned and began to lightly glide along Joseph's arm cutting away the sleeves of his shirt. As she moved her claws Maria was supremely careful to insure that she didn't cut Joseph. It was something of a trust exercise between mates. One she was determined not to fail in the least even as she cut open his right shirt sleeve and moved on to the left. “You feel nice Joseph.”


 


“You feel wonderful Maria.”


 


An amused giggle escaped Maria before she brought her face down so that it was near Joseph's shoulder and opened her mouth. As she did she brought her teeth down so that they lightly pressed into his skin for a moment before withdrawing. “Even a body like mine?”


 


“Yes Maria it's a wonderful body. Mine doesn't feel too weak does it?”


 


“No. It feels just fine.”


 


Apparently while she'd been speaking to him Maria had finished cutting away his remaining sleeve. With nothing left holding the garment on Joseph felt the clothing fall away and didn't pay it anymore mind as he found himself lifted from the ground for a moment and noticed Maria laying backwards. At first he thought she was going to place him so that their faces were even but instead she laid him so that his head was resting atop her chests.


 


“What does it feel like Joseph?”


 


“It feels strong yet gentle. When I close my eyes it feels like you're wearing delicate satin lingerie.”


 


“Lingerie?”


 


“Huh? Surely you know what lingerie is.”


 


“Hm the words sounds familiar. I can't place it though.”


 


“It's clothing women wear but it's not for protection from the elements or ones modesty.”


 


“Then what is its purpose.”


 


“To make a lady more attractive.” As he finished speaking Joseph gave the top of Maria's breasts a gentle kiss.


 


“Oh I wonder if I can get some of that. I bet some of my sisters would love to experiment with such clothing. Hey I remember now.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she gave Joseph's back a gentle squeeze.


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph despite the situation even as he reached up and placed his hands on Maria's shoulders. He then pulled himself up so that he was looking down into Maria's bright eyes. While he was doing this though he felt something wrap around his right leg and then sudden pull such that he was made to fall upon his chest and was drug back to his original position. As he looked down to see what had taken hold of him he found that Maria had used her tail. “Okay just what can you lift with that?”


 


“I can't really say I've never thought to test the limits.”


 


“Hm.” Instead of responding verbally Joseph brought his face down so that it pressed against Maria's right breasts. For a moment he gently brushed his cheek against it then pursed his lips and pressed them again her nipple. As he did so he could actually feel small vibrations in his lips as he listened to Maria's purring. Instead of stopping there he reached down and placed his hand against her side. He then slowly began to run his right hand along her side while the other reached down and grasped her massive thigh.


 


As Joseph grasped her thigh Maria flexed the muscles there in letting him feel them expand within his hands. Her tail relaxed its grip upon his leg while one hand came to rest upon his back the other began to gently run along his side. As she ran her finger around his ears though she was surprised whenever Joseph was made to shake slightly. At first Maria wasn't certain what had happened so that she once again ran her finger along his ear. Whenever he was made to shake once again she realized she'd found a ticklish spot and a slight giggle escaped her.


 


At first Joseph wasn't certain what was going on however as he heard Maria giggle he suddenly became concerned. He didn't have time to think about that as once his lips left her nipple Maria's hand slipped down under his jaw and once again drew him upwards so that their lips could meet again. This time as they kissed though he felt her hand brush against his crotch and a sudden release. He didn't need to look down to know that Maria had just undid the button holding his pants on.


 


Instead of using her hand to remove Joseph's pants Maria once again brought her tail up and before he could protest or even begin to move she shoved her tail between his waist band and waist. As she did so she used the hand on Joseph's back to keep him from jerking away. Once inside of his pants Maria began to wiggle her tail around forcing the garment down and loosening there hold on Joseph.


 


Did Maria realize how many times her tail brushed against his crotch? Joseph didn't know but it was hard to compose himself as she rapidly moved it about. Before he'd realized what he was doing the force with which he gripped Maria had increased and he buried his face between her breasts. This didn't seem to bother her in the least as the rumbling that resonated from deep within her chest only seemed to grow even stronger. Even as he struggled to keep control of himself though Joseph didn't forget about Maria and found himself kissing and even licking the inside of her cleavage.


 


With a quick flick of her tail Maria finally stripped Joseph down to his underwear. However as her tail began to drift up towards this last bit of material she stopped herself as a grin formed on her lips. Reaching down she lifted Joseph's head from her cleavage and once again pressed her lips against his. As they kissed though Maria reached down and slipped one of her hands into his underwear and gently took hold of his shaft. As she gripped him she finally broke off into the kiss. “Joseph would you explore my body?”


 


As Joseph stared into those eyes he suddenly felt a feeling of calm overcome him. “Yes.”


 


Upon hearing those words Maria released her hold on Joseph and raised her arms so that both her hands came to rest above her head. “Please start wherever you wish.”


 


For a moment Joseph did nothing but look into Maria's eyes he then raised himself up to a seated position so that he was on top of Maria and reached forward. As he took hold of her massive arm she raised it so that her fingers brushed against his face. Taking hold of her hand Joseph lightly pressed his fingers into Maria's as he did so he noticed Maria's claws just lightly peaking out and placed a finger over them. He then firmly pushed his finger into hers and began to trace the path where those claws recessed into Maria's fingers.


 


Even as Joseph explored her Maria couldn't control her body perfectly and her tail once again drifted towards him to lightly brush against his back. A deep sigh escaped Maria as she noticed Joseph shiver and felt his fingers working along hers seeming to note the difference between her fingers and that of a humans. “Can you feel it?”


 


“They're not quite like a humans hands the muscle structure is different. They're still lovely.” As he finished speaking Joseph brought his lips down and kissed the very tip of Maria's index finger trusting her to keep that claw retracted. After he kissed the index finger he moved along giving each one of the fingers a gentle kiss. As he did so he felt something brush against his side but he didn't need to look down to know that it was Maria's free hand.


 


“You're quite handsome Joseph.”


 


“Even though my body is so fragile?”


 


An amused giggle escaped Maria as she gave Joseph's stomach a slight flick causing him to jump slightly. “A tusker is fragile to me.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he brought his lips down and kissed Maria's wrist. “That's quite true.”


 


“You know though not every part of me is strong.”


 


“Oh and what part would that be.”


 


“Here.” As she spoke Maria took hold of Joseph's hand and moved it down so that it pressed over her heart. “Right here. So be gentle with me.”


 


For a moment Joseph didn't know what to say but his smile never faded. He felt Maria's hand release his wrist and he once again lowered himself only this time he moved even further down so that his face was even with Maria's lower lips. Reaching out he took hold of both of Maria's massive thighs giving them a gentle squeeze he slowly extended his tongue and pressed against Maria's petals so that he heard her gasp and felt those massive muscles expand beneath his grasp. He wasn't ready for what happened next.


 


As Joseph's tongue glided over her petals Maria's tail once again slipped inside his waste band and brushed against his shaft. Instead of retreating this time or just giving it glancing blows her tail continued to move and rub against him. Even while she was working his shaft though Maria could feel Joseph's tongue lapping at her petals.


 


Even as he worked her petals Joseph was aware of his surroundings changing. He felt Maria's legs closing in around him and then crossing so that they wrested upon his back as if to prevent his escape. He had no intention of going anywhere though even as he struggled to remain focused on the task at hand with Maria's tail moving all the more vigorously. He soon found himself not just lapping at her petals but lapping up her nectar as well.


 


For a moment Maria was made to gasp as Joseph gave her petals a particularly strong lick and for a moment parted them. Realizing that she had to do something with her hands Maria took hold of both of her breasts in the respective hand. As she squeezed those massive globes she had to be careful not to squeeze Joseph with her legs. “Oh. Oh! That's good. More please.”


 


Upon the words reaching his ears Joseph felt his entire body convulse and if Maria hadn't ceased teasing him with her tail for the briefest of moments he felt certain he would have lost it. As his body calmed down he once again resumed his tasks but instead of only relying upon his tongue he chose to involve his hands as well. His right hand was made to leave Maria's massive thigh and press against her stomach. As his fingers pressed into her abdomen he could feel those remarkable muscles twisting and flexing with every movement Maria made.


 


Even as Joseph stroked her stomach Maria's right hand left her breasts and reached down for him. Before her hand could quite reach his head though Maria bit down on her lower lip and ever so slowly retracted the limb. With the way she was feeling now she knew that if she allowed herself to touch Joseph she wouldn't be able to contain herself and for the moment at least she wanted him to explore and learn her body at his own pace and in his own way. At least he seemed to be learning very quickly.


 


It had taken a few licks of her petals but as Joseph ran his tongue along them he'd finally began to get an ideal of how much force was needed to truly stimulate Maria. Unfortunately her squirming tail made it extremely difficult to focus such that he couldn't get the pressure just right every time however he was at the very least doing a better job of keeping it in the ballpark. As he lapped up a bit more of her nectar he took a moment to notice a small bit of flesh. For a moment he stopped then leaned forward and pressed his lips against it lightly sucking on Maria's clitoris as he did so. A sharp gasp reached his ears and before he knew what was happening Maria's hand clamped down on the back of his head and her tail gripped his shaft firmly.


 


As she grasped Joseph's head Maria forgot her previous decision to let him explore and pressed his face firmly into her petals. While she did so she began to tighten and relax the grip she held on his shaft far more quickly. For a moment Joseph stopped responding but soon enough she felt his tongue begin to press against her petals all the more quickly though this time her hand guided where it went. Her breathing became more rapid and she began to caress her nipples more rapidly with her free hand.


 


Joseph didn't know what was going on at the moment and he didn't really care. As the feeling of Maria's tail teasing his member became more vigorous and he continued to lap at her petals he soon lost himself. He began to squirm about thrusting his hips forward against the bed while kept stationary by Maria's legs and hand. A sharp gasp from Maria was the only thing that registered with him moments later and he her legs suddenly tightened their hold on his forcing his face into her petals he felt her entire body shuddering and could fee her nectar coating his face. A sudden wave of pleasure hit him as his body seemed to register what was going on and he soon went limp.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Well you look stiff.”


 


A groan escaped Joseph as he looked at Dan. “Yeah my sides are a little bruised.”


 


“Your sides? How did your sides get bruised weren't you going to-” For a moment Dan went silent as a grin formed on his face. “Oh! I know what happened. Well don't worry too much. Mina managed to rough me up a bit the first time I was with her pretty badly though nothing was broken. She can still leave me pretty sore but she's learned to be more gentle. They all do with practice.”


 


“Is it that obvious what happened?”


 


“Well it's a little obvious considering how you're walking. That and the looks you've been getting.”


 


“Huh?” For a moment Joseph went silent and glanced around. As he did so he remembered what he'd been told about the sisters and their sense of smell. “Are they looking at me?”


 


“Well they're trying to be polite so it's not like they're looking whenever you are.” A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “So how far did you get anyway? Did you two go all the way?”


 


“No. Not quite.”


 


“Ah that's not really surprising. Maria was probably being careful the first time to insure she didn't hurt you too much.”


 


“What about you and Mina then?”


 


“No. No where near it really. The first time I lay with Mina she really limited herself to using her tail for the most part. It was kind of difficult for me as well as. It's just difficult to really stay focused whenever you hear stone being ground to gravel by the hands of the lady you're laying with.”


 


“Ah yeah I imagine that is a factor.”


 


“I trusted Mina but there was always the thoughts of. What if she grabbed my head by accident or what if those legs tightened up.” A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “You'll really be in for it though once Maria learns to control her passions.”


 


“Um Dan I hope this isn't asking too much but do you know of anything that would enhance the experience for Maria?”


 


“Scented oils work well for Mina as long as the scent is very subtle. They get a lot of information from smell you see so that's a big part of mating for them. By the same token though make certain that you don't stink as they will notice it and even if they don't say anything it can take away from the experience for them.”


 


“Where did you learn that? I doubt Mina was the one that told you.”


 


“I learned it from some of our other sisters when I asked a similar question to yours. I was planning a romantic night for me and Mina. Oh and this is very important. If you can prepare a nice high sugar meal before the two of you lay together it does wonders for her enjoyment.”


 


“That makes sense. I imagine being hungry can sort of ruin the mood. So make sure she's well fed in advance, make sure I don't stink in the least and prepare some scented oils or candles. Is there anything else?”


 


“Take your time. If you try to match a sister's stamina you're going to fail and she's going to end up being left frustrated. You know you should probably talk to Mina about this I'm certain she could give you some nice tips. Oh and my personal recommendation. Drink a potion of stone skin in advance. Even if it's just a weak one you can make quickly it'll really help out.”


 


“Hm on the subject of injury prevention.”


 


“You want to know what to do if she accidentally draws blood or fractures something?”


 


“Well yeah. For a little while there Maria really got into it and I was a little worried that she might lose herself in the moment and well.”


 


“Scream.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“If it seems like Maria is losing control of herself and starts dealing some real damage you need to scream. Scream like your life depended on it because it just might. This will do one of two things hopefully. If she has indeed forgotten herself it'll snap her back to reality and get her to release you. Now if it is as you fear and she hasn't actually lost her composure it'll still make it very clear that she's going a little further then you're prepared for and she'll probably step it back.”


 


“Did you ever have to scream like that?”


 


“Um well I came close. Mina was nipping my neck and shoulder a bit and she was kind of getting into it. She didn't actually break the skin but when I saw how her jaw was working it made me really nervous. Thoughts of how big of a chunk she could take out of my neck began to flood my mind and I was about to scream for her to stop. She seemed to realize how nervous I was getting though and eased up.”


 


“I can see how Mina could make someone nervous without meaning to. I'm just worried that if I do something like scream Maria will think that I don't trust her. I don't want to hurt her and I do want to be with her.”


 


“Well then you could always wait until she draws blood or you think something has been broken. I wouldn't wait much further then that though. If it's just a little blood though first try just letting her know that you're not into that sort of thing. I've heard a few brothers talking though and I know some of them do like a little bit of pain and even to have some blood drawn.”


 


“Hm yeah not my thing. Ah well onto something else. Did you hear about that fight that broke out at the construction site?”


 


“I heard about it from Mina actually. Alexa came to speak to her about what had happened and what should be done. Apparently those two have been at each other's throats for a little while now over a hunting incident. Though they've never really been friends. It was finally decided that they'd just be allowed to fight it out.”


 


“Won't that lead to more problems?”


 


“Not quite. They're going to fight it out in the arena.”


 


“Arena?”


 


“What you haven't heard of the arena yet?”


 


“Nope. I didn't even know you had one.”


 


“Well it isn't really an arena for the most part it's actually more of a theater. At times it becomes an arena though such as whenever a dispute can't be settled in a civil manner. It's also used whenever some of our sisters just want a challenge of course.”


 


“How often does that happen?”


 


“A bit more often then you might believe. I'm thinking of going with Mina later today and seeing exactly how things turn out.”


 


“What anyone can just go?”


 


“Indeed think of it as public discipline. When I first heard about it I actually thought it sounded pretty barbaric but honestly it's a lot less severe then public flogging or gallows. Oh I almost forgot. It's also used for training young sisters at times.”


 


“You have a point. What kind of training though?”


 


“Combat, while typically they take such exercises out into the forest the theater is used for a sort of special training. Anyway, they're some regulars that go to watch the match ups be they a friendly duel or two sisters resolving an issue.”


 


“Hm where I'm from that'd get a lot of fan fair.”


 


“Well the sisters really don't advertise it. To them it's just a part of what goes on here and they don't really have any tourist or money makers to bring in. It actually surprised me whenever Mina said she wanted to go tonight. Why don't you ask Maria to come along?”


 


“I suppose that I may. What kind of turn out can I expect?”


 


“Not a very large one really. They'll be a few come to see the trouble makers punished but without a real crowd drawer the odds of even half the seats being field is pretty low.”


 


“So what is a crowd drawer?”


 


“The younger sisters training or having sort of mock battles. That and the occasional friendly match if the sisters in questions are regarded with high esteem. It took me a while to figure it out but I think most of them come to cheer their friends on rather then for the violence.” A sigh escaped Dan as he rubbed his head. “Which really has me wondering why Mina wants to go.”


 


“Yeah she doesn't seem to be the type to enjoy watching two sisters be punished.”


 


“No. She really isn't. Not unless they did something that really upset her and she wanted to make sure the punishment was thorough. I suppose she might just want us to get out together for a while. The water has been too cold for us to go swimming together.”


 


“Really? The weather still seems fine to me.”


 


“That won't last believe me. You can tell whenever things are going to start cooling down around here by examining the water in some of the rivers. Once it starts to get a little chilly you know things are going to start cooling down.”


 


“Hm well I'll speak to Maria about it and see what happens.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“So Dan and Mina are suppose to be coming?”


 


“Well that's what Dan said though even he admitted to not knowing why Mina would want to come here tonight.”


 


“Joseph you don't set there.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“Only sisters are allowed to set there. The fight can get a little intense and encase something gets thrown brothers and the sisters that are with them set over there.” As she spoke Maria indicated a group of seats that while similar in layout to the ones Joseph had set down on they sported a rather odd combination of glyphs.


 


“Oh alright. What's special about those seats over there?”


 


“Well for one thing the combatants know that they're not suppose to throw anything in that direction. It's also have some decent magic protecting it from projectiles.”


 


“Don't you degrade magic though?”


 


“Yes we do that's why the glyphs are reinforced at the beginning of every match. They look pretty active right now so they were probably backed up an hour ago or so. Anyway let's take our seats over there and I'm certain Dan and Mina will be along soon.”


 


“Alright. You know where I come from they serve refreshments at these sort of things.”


 


“Would you like me to go get you something? We have snacks here every once in a while but well.”


 


“No thanks. It'd be in pretty pore taste to snack while watching two people fight one another outside of a friendly duel.”


 


“Yeah that's how we tend to feel. Um.” For a moment Maria went silent and sniffed the air several times. “Follow me Joseph.”


 


“Alright but where are we going.”


 


“To check on something.”


 


As Mirin watched the area being prepared he leaned back and looked up at the sky. “You know you don't have to hide yourself.”


 


“I know how did you know I was here though.”


 


“You bumped me with your tail.”


 


A sigh escaped Sora as she allowed her presence to be seen. “I swear that thing has a mind of its own at times. What brings you here Mirin? Did you come to see the punishment handed out.”


 


“Actually yes, I'm here to make sure things don't get too extreme.”


 


“Oh. So at the first sight of blood you're going to call the entire match off?”


 


“You know better then that Sora. However, the last time one of these happened and I wasn't here two of our sisters were taken out of commission for a week.”


 


“They got what they deserved.”


 


“I don't agree. That punishment was entirely excessive.”


 


“Mirin they let their little squabble spill over into the main town. They took out two buildings before a keeper was able to arrive and break them up. If a brother had been inside of one of those buildings or near the area he could have been injured. Even a young sister could have been really hurt during that brawl. The fact that they just got a beating was entirely too light.”


 


“They wouldn't have fought like that if there had been any brothers or young sisters in the area.”


 


“You say that but they still started a fight in the village. That shows me that they weren't thinking of such issues and the fact that no brothers or young sisters had been near is just a matter of luck.”


 


A sigh escaped Mirin and he gave his head a shake. “Well I'm not going to change your beliefs in regards to this matter. I still say that the fight wouldn't have even happened if there had been a brother or young sister near by. It was the fact that there was nothing to keep the cork on that all that tension was able to escape at once. Anyway, what do you think these two deserve?”


 


“A few rounds of smacking one another around seriously should work out all their aggression and be painful enough to insure it doesn't happen again. Unless they decide to take on a keeper then well.”


 


“Mirin!”


 


Before Mirin could responded Sora glanced over at Maria and Joseph. “Well hello you two. Did you decide to come set with us.”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “I figured we may as well. We're also waiting for Mina and Dan to arrive?”


 


“Mina and Dan?” It was hard for Mirin not to be a little surprised at hearing this news. “This is just a punishment session tonight though.”


 


To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah but Joseph asked me to bring him here after speaking with Dan. The really strange thing is that it seems it was Mina's ideal to come here. Once she arrives I'm going to have to ask her why though. So Mirin what are you doing here?”


 


“Oh he's worried that the punishment will be excessive. Apparently he's upset with what happened during a similar situation a few months back so he's keeping an eye on us.”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod and took a seat. “Joseph you set here next to me.”


 


“Alright.” As Joseph took his indicated seat he looked back at Mirin and Sora. “Now that I'm here I'm a little curious. Exactly how did this form of punishment get started?”


 


Now Mirin chose to speak up. “It's been with us for quite some time really. It began to handle disputes based on personal grudges that needed to be punished but didn't seem like that could be settled by outside forces.”


 


“I find it remarkable that this never turned into more of a spectacle. Most people I know love to watch others fight one another in such settings.”


 


Well before Mirin could respond Sora spoke up. “Oh we do like to watch our sisters duel. However, seeing one another be punished is a different matter. It's considered in very poor taste to wish ill upon a fellow sister after all and more often then not we know one another. Those that are coming are probably a mixture of friends of the two combatants or have something of a grudge against them. They're probably a few that don't fall into either category but their reasons can be hard to guess. Hey Mina.”


 


“Hey Sora, Mirin, Maria and even Joseph. Would you mind if the two of us joined you?”


 


Joseph had actually been surprised by Sora's statement but sure enough after a few moments of looking around he saw Mina walking towards them. “It's fine with me.”


 


In response Mirin gave a quick nod. “Surely you're welcome.”


 


“Thanks.” As she spoke Mina relaxed the hold her tail held on Dan and set him down so that he could get seated. Mina chose to set slightly off to the side in front of the rest of the group. “So Joseph Dan told you about this huh?”


 


“Yeah it's my first time here. Mina I hope you don't mind me asking this right off the bat but from what I've been told it sounds like nothing special is happening tonight. So why are you here?”


 


“I. I haven't been feeling very well.”


 


Dan was actually made to visibly jump upon hearing this and turned to face Mina. “Mina what do you mean? You haven't told me about you not feeling well.”


 


“Don't worry it's not physical.” A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she shook her head. “I just have been feeling a little tense.”


 


Before anyone else could speak up Sora chose to. “Oh I see. You're feeling the tension aren't you?”


 


“I believe that may be it. I just realized it today and I thought that maybe seeing a good fight would make me feel better you know? I know that it's in poor taste to be here like this but I really. I'm really feeling it.” For a moment Mina's body seemed to tense up.


 


As Joseph listened to the others he couldn't help but ask. “What do you mean?”


 


Before speaking Maria placed a hand on Joseph's to get his attention. “It's something like our hunting instinct. You know that we begin to feel stressed if we don't get to go hunting every once in a while to let our instincts take hold. Something similar happens whenever we're constantly forced to suppress our urge to fight or protect something a great deal. So Mina you think that this will help you?”


 


“Yeah good matches can be really exciting after all. If I can just let myself get lost in the show then that should let me release some of this tension.”


 


Mirin had been surprised by this news as Dan had been but now he spoke up. “Mina, this isn't good news. I'm not sure if this fight will give you what you need considering the nature of the fight. It'd probably be best if we could find you an actual opponent to spar with.”


 


“I know but who could I spar with? I'm too strong to spar with another keeper. I really don't want to seriously injure or kill one of my sisters you know?”


 


In response Mirin gave a nod. “Well then it'll just have to be a matron.”


 


“A.....matron?”


 


For a moment Dan didn't know what to think as he leaned over and looked into Mina's face. He was rather surprised to see that one of her eyes was being to dilate as if she was preparing to strike. Her voice also sounded rather strange. “Mina!”


 


Upon hearing Dan's voice Mina immediately gave her head a vigorous shake. “Sorry. My head has just been kind of funny.”


 


“Mina why didn't you tell me about this?”


 


As she listened to him Mina could hear the hurt in Dan's voice despite her fogged head. “I thought that I could handle it and I could release it over time. I didn't mean to hide anything from you Dan I just didn't think it was anything to worry about.”


 


“I believe that it is.”


 


“Yeah you're probably right.”


 


Before things could go further Mirin spoke up. “Then it's a good thing you came tonight. Watch the fight and see if you can get some release from observing. Once this is over I'm going to find someone that can spar with you. Though since we're on the subject. Maria how have you been feeling?”


 


“I'm fine Mirin.”


 


“Are you certain? Your mutations may be different but both yours and Mina's are some of the most powerful that we've ever seen. They're most assuredly some of the most powerful mutations amongst your generations.”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “I don't have to deal with the stress of being a keeper though.”


 


“Indeed well then. Let's be quiet and just observe it seems some of the others have arrived.”


 


Mirin's words actually surprised Joseph and he took a moment to look around. Upon looking around he found that several sisters had joined them though most of them were pretty spread out. It still amazed him how quietly such large beings could move when they wanted to. “I swear I'm still getting used to such large people being so quiet.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Mirin as he looked towards the arena floor. “I can't say I know what that's like this is just how things are to me. Anyway, let's quieten don't it looks like the combatants are here.”


 


Risara and Austella looked at Alexa who had joined them in the arena. They were both rather relieved to see the stands mostly empty but were a bit surprised by some of the people that'd come to watch. It seemed a few sisters were upset with them for squabbling at the construction site. They didn't get to think about that for the moment as Alexa spoke up.


 


“Risara, Austella while who is at fault for your recent disdain towards one another is uknown it has been decided that something must be done about it. As the two of you have been deemed evenly matched it's been decided that you'll be allowed to resolve your differences through test of strength. That strength can be either tested against one another or it may be tested against a keeper. I encourage you both to work together and choose to face one of your larger sisters together so that you may not just put to rest these hostilities but bond as sisters.”


 


Austella was the first to speak up. While she knew that a keeper would tend to hold back and not truly injure them she couldn't bring herself to work with Risara. “I'm not going to work with her.”


 


“I'd rather beat her tail in then strike a sister I have nothing against.”


 


After a moment Alexa gave a nod. “It's your choice then. I'm going to step out of here and then you two may begin.”


 


As Joseph watched Alexa leaving the arena he found himself wondering if it was considered impolite to talk. Curiosity got the better of him though and he whispered to Maria. “Maria what was that?”


 


“The combatants can either work together against a keeper or fight one another. Working together against a keeper is considered the better choice of the two but if you're so angry with one another that's not possible then it isn't forced. However, fighting one another tends to be a lot more painful as the keepers always hold back. Those two are pretty pissed at one another.”


 


“What's to stop them from going easy on one another?”


 


“All the eyes watching them. Failure to give it your all in this situation is seen as trying to dodge the punishment and sure won't win you any friends.”


 


“Then what if one of them refuses to fight back?”


 


Maria couldn't help the surprise on her face as she turned to look at Joseph. “I um. I really don't know what would happen then if one just took all the blows from the other. That would be. Well kind of unheard of. I sure don't remember it ever happening.”


 


Austella held her ground until she heard Alexa's final foot step outside of the arena. At that moment she pushed off the ground and lunged towards Risara. While she knew this wouldn't be an easy fight she was going to do her best to make sure Risara got the worse of it. Especially sense she believed it was Risara's fault they were both there.


 


Even as Austella leaped forward Risara quickly shifted to the side and extended her hands to catch hold of Austella's arm. As she gripped the limb she quickly pushed downward reserving the direction of the lunge so that she sent Austella towards ground. While she took hold of the limb though she felt Austella suddenly shift in her grasp. The sudden torque applied to Risara's fingers forced them to be loosened so that she lost her hold and a powerful impact resounded throughout the area. Even as she heard Austella impacted with the ground Risara thrust her leg forward planning on kicking her downed opponent instead all she met was air.


 


Austella had managed to twist so that her legs met with the ground first. The moment they did so she'd pushed off the ground and leaped back into the air. As she did so she attempted to strike Risara in the head only to have her opponent duck under the limb and thrust her fist upward. Austella felt the fist strike her seconds later though Risara hadn't managed to strike her intended target. Instead Austella had used her foot to block Risara's fist and quickly pushed off of it putting some distance between herself and Risara. Before she had even landed Risara had began rushing towards her once again claws extended.


 


Instead of trying to strike Austella before she reached the ground Risara quickly weaved to the side intending to strike her where her defense was weak. As she moved though she could already see Austella was twisting her body in order to prevent that from happening. A roar escaped Risara as she moved to go through with the attack anyway and lashed out at Austella. Once again her strike met with Austella's leg however this time it served to throw her off her balance before Risara could celebrate though she felt something strike her in the side and send her slamming to the floor as well.


 


Joseph didn't know what to think as small chunks of stone pelted the stands. While the sisters didn't seem to notice them or at least they didn't care he noticed the barrier protecting them blink slightly. It suddenly made a lot more sense to have a protective barrier around the stands. Just by the sounds of the sisters bodies slamming into the ground it was clear that tremendous power was being put out by both of them. Despite though impacts though they were back on their feet nearly as quickly as they'd been taken off of them.


 


Risara had no doubt that her right arm had been bruised but she knew she'd hurt Austella's leg. So that as soon as she regained her footing she once again rushed towards her opponents. The two were of a very like mind at the moment so that as Risara pushed her Austella had already began to move in her direction. There run wasn't that of a human though rather both sisters made use of their arms and legs as they moved rapidly over the ground claws and toes cutting through the stone as they demanded more traction from the stone then it was used to giving. As they came within striking distance Risara saw Austella's leg coming towards her and dug her feet into the ground letting lose a resounding roar.


 


Austella felt her leg slam into Risara's side and could hear the stone being crushed beneath their feet. Before she could gain any sense of victory though she felt a sharp pain run up her stomach and immediately realized that Risara had just slashed her. With one leg still in the ground Austella pushed off the stone floor and quickly rolled to the side to avoid another slash. Before she could strike Risara back she saw her leave the ground and felt something slam into the side of her head sending her flying.


 


Despite the sounds and roars Dan wasn't paying much attention to the fight. Rather he'd turned his attention to Mina who was watching the fight intently. It was actually a relief to see that she seemed focused on the happenings. While she was watching the fight he took his time looking over her body for any signs as to what she was feeling.


 


As he watched the fight Mirin noted several chunks of stone flying up and pelting the barrier. They were slow moving tiny projectiles that posed no threat but he still reached down and placed his hand on the glyph holding the shield. As he did so he began to channel some of his own energy into the glyphs backing up the barrier that protected the stands. Something brushing against his back halted him for a moment and he looked up at Sora. “Yes?”


 


“You get paranoid whenever you have others to look out for.”


 


Mirin gave a chuckle and removed his hand from the glyph. “I don't like being hit in the face with a rock anymore then anyone else either.”


 


The scratch Risara had given her was a slight annoying as Austella moved to avoid being slashed again. This time as Risara's arm went past her Austella quickly locked one around the limb holding it in place. In the same motion she drove her free arm down towards the captured limb intending to either break the limb or inflict some serious harm so that it wouldn't be as usable. There was a feeling of triumph as she felt her elbow connect solidly with the limb though that was short lived as a scream of pain echoed throughout the area moments later. Unfortunately for Austella it was hers.


 


When her arm had been captured Risara knew she was about to pay for it. Instead of trying to escape though she'd pressed the attack even while letting Austella's own carry through. Now Risara had buried the claws of her free hand into Autella's shoulder and sunken her teeth into her shoulder. She had actually hoped to get hold of Austella's throat to force her to surrender but that clearly wasn't going to happen. There was a sudden wave of motion seconds later as a resounding impact echoed throughout the area and pain engulfed Risara's back.


 


Austella had put all her weight and strength into slamming Risara into the ground. Fortunately it had worked and it'd forced her to release her hold. The moment those claws and teeth were released from her flesh Austella wasted no time beating a retreat and putting some distance between herself and Risara. It angered her to no end how quickly Risara was able to recover from the blow however as she stood up Austella noticed Risara's arm was limp at her side. Unfortunately the searing pain in her shoulders told her Risara had gotten her claws and teeth in deep.


 


Joseph found it hard to believe what he'd just seen. While up until the sisters had been using kicks and punches they'd suddenly gone to using teeth and claws. What amazed him though was the amount of damage done in an instant. “Maria I didn't think this fight involved serious injury.”


 


“It doesn't. Those wounds should heal up in a few days or even hours once the fight is over. It's not like Risara tore a chunk of Austella lose.”


 


“I. I see. Well what about Risara? It looks like her arm is broken.”


 


“Probably not but after a blow like that it won't do her much good. For a moment there I thought Austella was going to have the edge after that move but now I'm not certain. She may have two working limbs still but those scratches and bites are going to mess her up.”


 


As Sora listened to Maria she couldn't help but speak up. “It really depends on how badly damaged Risara's arm is. She might not like using it after that blow but that doesn't mean she's not able to use it if she has to.”


 


“Maria, Sora I hope this isn't too much but just what is a bad injury to one of you?”


 


In response to Joseph's question Sora was the first to speak up. “It's really situational. We can heal from pretty much anything given time, food and rest. As the fight will be stopped before they kill one another none of the injuries are serious.”


 


“Bull crap.”


 


Sora couldn't help but grin as she looked down at Mirin. “Mirin here is just over protective of us is all. I imagine he wants to call the fight off now that blood has been drawn.”

Chapter 14 by happiest_in_shadows

Instead of responding right away Joseph went silent and looked to Mirin. When he didn't say anything he had to speak up. “Mirin what is a bad injury for one of the sisters.”


 


“Extensive blood loss, damage to the joints or to the spinal cord, structural integrity of internal organs being compromised are all very serious injuries. Even to our sisters regardless of what they say.”


 


A sigh escaped Sora as she shook her head. “Mirin's just listing the things that take the longest to heal if you survive them.”


 


“You mean you don't heal from blood loss very well?”


 


“Well it isn't regular blood loss that's the problem. It's extensive blood loss that can be a serious issue.”


 


Before Joseph could say anything else a loud impact drew his attention back to the fight. Apparently Austella had went to strike Risara only to end up striking the arena floor. The gaping opening that her foot tore in the ground sending large chunks of rock about the area. There was something strange though. The impact had seemed extended somehow.


 


Risara knew that she had a problem. If the fight was allowed to draw out she would have the advantage due to Austella bleeding. However, at the moment she was at a disadvantage as she evaded Austella's attack. With only one arm really in fighting form she couldn't defend or attack properly so she was being forced to rely entirely on evasion. Fortunately Austella hadn't injured one of her legs as well or she knew she'd be in trouble. Unfortunately Austella seemed to have realized this and was now focusing on attacking only making evading all the attacks very difficult.


 


The pain in her shoulders had died down so that Austella was able to move. As Risara avoided her fist though it was hard to keep her composure. If she was permitted to she would have loved to bind her wounds but unfortunately that wouldn't be happening. A slight rush of pleasure shot throughout her body though as she felt her foot just nick Risara's wounded arm so that a slight gasp of pain escaped her.


 


Just trying to dodge wasn't going to work. There was no way that she could rely on her evasion alone and avoid all of Austella's attacks and Risara knew that. It was however punctuated by the glancing blow she'd taken only moments later. So that as she came back down Risara lashed out at Austella meaning to drive her foot into Austella's stomach and hopefully force her back. The feeling of Austella's arm knocking her leg aside filled her with dread though there wasn't time to think about it as she was sent slamming into the seats behind her.


 


The sound of the impact made Joseph jump and for a moment he worried for the sisters that had been setting there. Before he could say anything though he noticed several sisters standing in a suddenly far more densely packed area. Then when the dust settled he found the area was clear except for a decimated section of seats and Risara who seemed a bit worse for the ordeal. His concern grew all the more intense though as Austella suddenly appeared above Risara and began to drive her fist down into her.


 


It was impossible to stop all of Austella's blows with only one good arm. So that as Risara found herself being driven into the stone seating she realized there was only one choice. Instead of trying to stop the punches Risara counter attacked and thrust both her legs at Austella. The feeling of them impacting Austella was a relief however it wasn't nearly as solid as Risara would have liked. The numerous blows that Austella had delivered moments earlier had taken a lot of the wind out of her yet she knew she had little time to recover.


 


She had done it. Austella had a large grin on her face as she recovered from the kick. She'd managed to deliver a series of powerful blows and inflict some real harm on Risara. Even with the injuries from Risara's fangs and claws Austella felt confident she'd won this match. She was thus very surprised whenever she just barely caught a glimpse before a foot was sent slamming into her face and sending her skidding across the ground.


 


Risara took in several deep breaths as she managed to deliver the blow. For whatever reason Austella had let her guard down and allowed her to deliver a real hit. Before she could continue the attack though Risara felt her legs shake and she nearly collapsed to the ground. It'd taken a supreme act of willpower to get her body up and moving like that even for an instant. Now she was paying for the move though as she took in several deep breaths finding herself even more exhausting then she'd been moments earlier. Unfortunately she still had to move as she leaped into the air to avoid being struck by Austella who'd already recovered from the kick.


 


The sound of stone being shattered resounded throughout the area as Austella yanked her fist free from the ground. She had noticed how weak Risara's jump had been and she was going to take advantage of it. Before Risara had reached the ground Austella was on her and quickly drove her leg into her once again sending her slamming into the seating. Instead of pressing the attack though a sharp gasp escaped Austella and for a moment she held her ground as she tried to catch her breath. The kick Risara had delivered had been a good one and Austella could already tell her eye was swelling shut.


 


There was no quick retaliation from Risara as she took in several deep breathes. Her entire body was beginning to hurt her and in truth she felt confident she'd received a few fractures or perhaps even broken bones. Her arm was proving to be a greater factor then she'd believed it would be.


 


As Sora watched the fight she placed the tip of her tail against Mirin's back the moment she noticed him beginning to twitch. “They can continue after all that and you know it. This fight is suppose to go on until one of them can't fight any longer.”


 


“Sora they've both suffered significant injuries. Whatever their dispute was over I doubt that either of them feels that it's worth this.”


 


“Mirin you're being too nice to them. You know those wounds aren't as serious to us as they would be for a human”


 


“Sora they're both crippled in this fight.”


 


“Yes but in a serious fight that doesn't mean you stop. They're both capable of continuing.”


 


A low groan escaped Mirin as he shook his head. He would have liked to call the fight off now but with Sora there he couldn't. Their ranks were roughly equivalent in many respects and they were friends. Complicating the situation was the fact that this was the sisters punishing another sister. He didn't really have the authority to step in and say stop if Sora wasn't going to allow him. “Alright, but if things get much worse I'm going to speak up.”


 


Austella gave a sigh as she noted Risara finally standing up. From the looks of her she wasn't anywhere near full strength but at least they'd both caught their breath. Unfortunately for Austella this meant she was going to have to move. Given Risara's condition she knew that she wouldn't come to her. Unfortunately Austella didn't feel she had the energy leap to where Risara was but instead began to quickly sprint across the arena floor. Though it was greatly slowed by her fatigue.


 


Instead of waiting for Austella to get there Risara quickly began to sprint across the arena floor but instead of running towards the inside she found herself running to the outside. She then began to run along the edge of the ring trying to keep as much distance between herself and Austella as she could. Neither of them were truly being hindered by their pain for the moment as their bodies naturally restricted the level of pain that reached her minds. As Austella drew closer though Risara regretted that she couldn't just wait in the stands or even run out of them.


 


It wasn't surprising to Austella that Risara was avoiding combat. As she chased after her though Austella snatched up a bit of broken stone and quickly tossed it towards Risara's legs. She heard the stone hit and saw Risara's stubble as the stone shattered against her leg. It gave Austella all the time she needed to close the gap and slam into Risara's back. Instead or risking her breaking away though Austella quickly took hold of Risara with one arm and began to lay into the back of Risara's head even before they'd reached the ground.


 


Pain shot throughout Risara's body as Austella took hold her. For a moment she moved to twist away but it was too late. Austella landed on top of her and began to rain down punch after punch into the back of her head. Even as the pain surged through her body Risara tried to push off the ground even trying to use her damaged arm. However, the limb wouldn't work and without both arms she couldn't get the leverage she needed to change her position.


 


Joseph could hear the sound of Risara's head being driven into the ground. It soon began to sicken him and he was forced to advert his eyes. As he did so though he found himself looking at Maria who was still watching the fight. “Maria how long is this going to go on?”


 


“Until Risara passes out if she can't figure out a way to break away.”


 


“What? Why until then it's clear she lost.”


 


“So there won't be any taking it easy on one another. It's a shame if Risara had been thinking she'd known not to turn her back to Austella like that. However, she was so focused on running away that she didn't expect Austella to use a projectile.”


 


Mirin was getting fidgety now. It was clear Austella had won and Risara was probably unable to fight any further at this point. There was also the fact that Austella was losing a lot of blood. The injuries Risara had given her were quite deep and all the exertion and led to her bleeding even more quickly. “Sora if you don't let me say something now then I'm going to step beyond my bounds and ask that this be brought to an end now.”


 


“There is no need for that Mirin.”


 


“What do you mean?” Before Mirin could receive an answer he looked back down towards the arena and found Alexa standing in it. Several other sisters had joined her and were now picking up Risara from the ground while some others had already began to clean and tend to Austella's injuries to stop the bleeding.


 


As Alexa held Austella's hand she looked down into her eyes. “Well is it resolved?”


 


For a moment Austella said nothing as she looked up at Alexa. Her entire body was aching and with her adrenalin fading what had been a duel burning pain was quickly growing to an inferno. The pain easily surpassed what her hunger regularly caused to the point that she was fighting back tears. “I'm finished. I won't squabble with Risara any longer. Is she going to be alright? I know I was going hard on her but I just didn't want her to get up. I'm feeling dizzy.”


 


In response Alexa gave a nod and looked at Austella's blood soaked fur. “You lost quite a bit of blood. It isn't life threatening but you're going to be weak for a little while. Risara is fine can't you hear her heart beating?”


 


“I um.” For a moment Austella said nothing and put her free hand on her forehead. “I really don't feel well.”


 


While Alexa listened to Austella she wasn't surprised by her behavior. Given what she'd just been through she had no doubt that neither sister would be feeling well for some time. “So is this the fight you really wanted?”


 


“No. We didn't want to hurt one another or I didn't want to hurt her at first. It's just that. I was being stubborn.”


 


A sigh escaped Alexa as she shook her head. “Yeah if it had been enough to be worth fighting over you two would have come to blows before this. Next time perhaps I should just confine you to your homes with no food for a day.”


 


In response to Alexa's comment Austella's eyes went very wide. “Please don't.”


 


“You mean you would prefer this over a day without food.”


 


“I. I don't know for certain. I believe that I may though.”


 


“Alright. Alright. Next time perhaps you two can resolve your differences before it comes to this. Do you want to tell me what happened between the two of you?”


 


“No thank you Alexa.”


 


“That's your choice.”


 


Joseph had been becoming quite alarmed each time he heard Austella's fist impact with the back of Risara's head. As things went silent though he turned to Maria. “So that's it?”


 


“Yeah that's the end of it.”


 


“So there is no winner?”


 


“You don't win when you're being punished.” A grin had appeared on Maria's face as she stood up and took a moment to look around. “The damage really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.”


 


Mirin gave a sigh as he stood up. “Well I'll see everyone around. I have things to do. Mina I'm going to go and look into finding an opponent to spar with you. I'll let you know as soon as I find one. Do you believe you'll be alright until then?”


 


In response Mina gave a sigh and a nod as she stood up. “Yeah, that was actually quite good for me though I feel somewhat guilty.”


 


A grin formed on Mirin's face. “You mean you believe the fight should have been called off sooner to?”


 


“Um no.” A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she turned to face Mirin. “I feel guilty that I benefited from the pain of my sisters. I believe those two needed that match.”


 


“I see.” For a moment Mirin considered mentioning the fact that Alexa had spoken to Mina before the fight about the punishment and possible implications. He chose not to bring it up given the situation though. “Sora do you know of any sisters that would like to spar Mina?”


 


“Me.” A slight giggle escaped Sora as she stuck her tongue out at Mirin for a moment.


 


Despite the situation Mirin was made to grin. “No. I don't quite think so.”


 


“Ah! Why not?”


 


“Well I can't stop you if you really want to spar with her. However, I don't believe you're the best choice.”


 


“Fine. I'll go speak with the others.”


 


Before saying anything Dan reached out and took hold of Mina's massive hand. As he did so he felt her tail wrap around him protectively. “So you're really feeling better now?”


 


“Indeed.”


 


“I'm glad to hear that. Let's get home now and I'll fix dinner for the two of us.”


 


“Nothing spicy tonight.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Mirin felt more then a little awkward as Sora placed him on the ground. While he was used to looking up to his sisters this was something entirely different. More then a dozen matrons currently surrounded him of various sizes and abilities. All of them seemed intently focused on him. “I swear it feels like I'm planning a war with so many of you here.”


 


Minerva couldn't help but chuckle as she noticed Mirin's body language. He actually seemed nervous around them which was quite strange. “Mirin what's wrong? You seem paranoid.”


 


“Well they're a great many things that I want to speak to you all about. The life bloom is one of them but the first is a bit more urgent. I need one of you to volunteer to spar with Mina.”


 


Immediately every matron in the area seemed to perk up as if understanding why Mirin was a bit nervous. Rora was the first to speak up though. “Mina? As in Dan's Mina?”


 


“Yes, she seems to have been having trouble lately as we believe she needs an opponent she can truly fight against. If there was a notable dragon in the forest I would ask her to go kill it but as that isn't the situation I need one of you to volunteer to spar with her. I have to warn you though. From the way her body was behaving I believe she's out to prove something.”


 


Sora was actually a bit surprised whenever she heard Mirin say this. “You noticed it as well Mirin?”


 


“I believe so. It's rather strange to see that kind of behavior from Mina though. She's always been so comfortable with her strength that she didn't need to prove her abilities. At least she never seemed to think that way to me.”


 


Sora gave a quick nod. “I agree something must have changed recently. Anyway, Mirin isn't going to let me be the one to fight Mina so which one of you wants to do it?”


 


For a moment no one responded then Minerva spoke up. “The ideal of fighting a keeper seems really strange. Normally we'd have to more play with one of them then fight them as if they were a newborn. Mina is a different case though. I wouldn't mind fighting with her to see what happens whenever she really cuts lose.”


 


“Actually, I think I'd be happy to go a round or two with her as well. I'm worried that I could hurt her feelings though. After all she's so proud of those muscles of hers I don't know how she'd taken it once she saw they were nothing to a matron. Of course I did always enjoy playing with dolls when I was younger.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Rora as she looked to the sister that'd just spoke. “Well don't you sound confident. I really believe you should be the one to face off against Mina.”


 


“Huh? Didn't I just say I didn't want to shame her?”


 


Before Rora could respond Minerva spoke up. “Okay Lanora do you have any ideal how arrogant you sound?”


 


“All I did was say the truth.”


 


It was impossible for Minerva not to grin as she looked at Lanora. “You know I agree with Rora you really should be the one to face off against Mina.”


 


Mirin could hardly believe what Lanora had said about Mina. It was widely known amongst the sisters that Mina had one of the most powerful mutations that had ever been seen. Indeed Mirin could have placed it on par with Sora's ability to become invisible whenever she wanted to. The difference being an opponent you could never see coming and one that you couldn't stop coming. However, he wasn't so certain that Lanora should be the one to face Mina. “Rora, Minerva why do the two of you say that?”


 


While both of them had been asked Rora was the first to speak up. “Well to be honest I think that Mina could teach Lanora here some respect. Serious Lanora referring to any of our sisters as dolls even in comparison just isn't appropriate. I actually want to bust you in the jaw for saying that and I believe that Fera would have.”


 


“All I said was the truth.”


 


Minerva gave her head a slight shake as she listened to Lenora. “I agree with Rora on this one that comment was entirely uncalled for. Saying they're like a newborn to us is plenty fair. After all while weaker a newborn is something to be held carefully and protected. That doll comment though that's just asking for a smack.”


 


“You to Minerva? Fine fine. Maybe doll wasn't the right word. I didn't mean to say she didn't have anymore value then a doll.”


 


Instead of speaking Sora extended her tail a bit and gave Mirin a gentle nudge wanting him to step in. While she didn't approve of the comparison Lanora had made she felt a brother needed to speak up. Fortunately he seemed to realize what she wanted him to do.


 


“I see. Well then Lanora you do have quite a nice healing ability so even if you were injured it wouldn't take long for you to recover. However, I would like it if one more of you showed up to help up with Mina. Sora I'm including you in this by the way.”


 


“That's fine but why do you want another?”


 


“Encase things begin to get out of hand and someone has to be retrained.”


 


“Ah I see. Alright I'll come.”


 


Before anyone else could respond Minerva chose to speak up. “Me to.”


 


A chuckle escaped Rora as she looked at Mirin. “I want to come as well. Like I said I'm interested in seeing what Mina can really do. The last time I saw her really use her strength was whenever she'd first woken up. Do you remember what happened?”


 


In response Minerva gave a quick nod. “Yeah a lot of us had gathered to see if she'd managed to develop a mutation. I remember one of the keepers was trying to help her up and Mina grabbed hold of her arm. She didn't know what type of mutation she had developed though or even if she had so she squeezed like she normally would have and broke the door girl's arm.”


 


In response Rora gave a slight nod. “You weren't there for that were you Lanora? The day whenever a sister who just awoke from starving in a body comparable to a child's broke a keeper's arm?”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“What the hell was that about!” It was impossible for Mirin to keep the annoyance out of his voice even as he road upon Sora's shoulders. He heard giggles on both sides of him one coming from Minerva while the other came from Sora.


 


It was Sora who spoke. “You sound angry Mirin.”


 


“I believe that I may be. It sounded like Lanora had something against Mina and I have to say. All of you were kind of quick to jump on Lanora. Just what is going on?”


 


Minerva gave a slight shrug as she looked at Mirin. “Well Lanora did earn the right to become a matron just a year before Mina woke up with her mutation. Had Lanora slipped up and caused her time to be pushed backs he would have lost the right to Mina. Given the power of Mina's mutation and the fact that she volunteered for it.”


 


Sora couldn't help the surprise in her voice as she spoke. “Oh that is right! I had entirely forgotten about that. It's something of a shame to. Mina would have been a much better matron though I guess it was all for the best in some regards. If she had become a matron then she might not have ended up with Dan.”


 


“Yeah I agree.” Before continuing Minerva glanced over at Mirin. “Now what's that face for?”


 


“You believe she's jealous of Mina. You don't believe she'd try to cause Mina serious harm whenever they spar do you?”


 


In response Sora gave a shrug. “Perhaps but three of us will be there. If I think she's trying to seriously injure Mina I'll be certain to step in and knock some sense into her. Improved healing abilities or not.” Before continuing Sora quickly adjusted her transparency so that it looked like Mirin was floating in the air.


 


In response Minerva gave a quick nod. “I doubt you have to worry about Mina being in serious danger though. She's so strong it'd take an awful lot even for one of us to kill her.”


 


“Are you certain about that?”


 


“Well no. Like I said none of us have really heard about her strength being seriously tested in a long time. That's why we're going to keep a close eye on the proceedings. Though, I wonder what we should do if Mina gets the upper hand.”


 


Before speaking Sora quickly made herself visible again. “Laugh?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Minerva as she nodded her head. “Well that's a given.”


 


Mirin couldn't help but groan as he listened to Sora and Minerva. “I can't help but believe you're both taking this very lightly. Matrons are some of the most powerful sisters we have though. I do not like the ideal of starting some kind of rift between them.”


 


As Sora listened to Mirin part of her wanted to push him a little bit but she chose not to. “Don't worry about it Mirin. We are sisters after all. Sure we disagree from time to time but no permanent harm will be done. I just really didn't like that doll comment that was made. Regardless of what happens I'm certain that everything will be fine. Besides you really shouldn't assume that we all like one another.”


 


An amused giggle escaped Minerva as she looked at Sora. “That's true Mirin. I for example positively hate Sora.”


 


A slight gasp escaped Sora as she looked at Minerva. “How could you say that! Haven't I always been nice to you?”


 


“No you're a mean bully and you know it. Always using your abilities to play rotten tricks on us like swapping my smacks with day old ones.”


 


“Pfft.” A slight giggle escaped Sora as she stuck her tongue out at Minerva. “I've never done that.”


 


“Sure you haven't.” It was impossible for Minerva to keep a strait face as she gave a slight giggle. “Well okay maybe I don't hate Sora but still not all of us get along.”


 


To this Mirin gave a nod. “Alright I get what you're saying.”


 


Minerva was silent for a moment but she had to ask. “So Mirin what brothers do you really dislike?”


 


“I'm not going to answer that!”


 


“Oh. I know. I know which ones he really doesn't like.”


 


“Sora you be quiet!”


 


“Really? Did he tell you?”


 


“No but I can tell by how his body responded whenever he's around them. His heart rate speeds up and his muscles start tensing. Also he begins shifting his weight from foot to foot more frequently. I can also smell it in his sweat.”


 


“Sora cut that out!”


 


“Ah well. It doesn't look like he wants me to tell you who it is. Perhaps some other time.”


 


A sigh escaped Mirin as he heard both Sora and Minerva giggling. “I'm really starting to develop a dislike for the two of you.”


 


It took a moment for Sora to respond as she needed time to stop giggling. “Ah you don't mean that.”


 


“I suppose I don't. Now they're other concerns. There is no way that Mina and Lanora can fight in the arena. They'd end up destroying the entire thing and there would be no way for anyone to observe. Given who's fighting I know plenty of sisters and brothers will want to watch. I was wondering if either of you knew a good place for the two of them to fight.”


 


Before she had even thought about what she was saying Sora spoke up. “The kobold nesting grounds.”


 


Mirin was actually made to perk up upon hearing that. “You know I like that ideal. I like it a whole lot!”


 


A slight giggle escaped Sora as she gave a nod. “Now that I think about it I like it to.”


 


“We'll just need to decide where the brothers and sisters will be gathering to observe. I'll speak about that with the other brothers later today. Now one more issue. When would be a good time?”


 


“If what Sora and you told me about Mina is true I'd say as soon as possible. I know that means delaying construction but a one day delay should be tolerable. Just make sure that you let us know where you plan on having the brothers gather and at what time. I'll ask Fera to come with me and make sure the area is safe. Her eyes should make that fairly easy.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Pera couldn't help her growing frustrating as she held the fruit in her hand. A look of utter annoyance was upon her face as she noted the various bug bights. She'd spent at least two minutes going through the tree sniffing out the freshest fruit only to have this happen again. “Allen I'll be right down with something to snack on as soon as I find a good one!”


 


In response to Pera's comment Allen looked up the large tree. Pera was already far higher then he'd dare to climb during normal circumstances though he was already part way up the tree. Pera had set him down on a branch a bit over four meters above the ground to insure that he'd be safe. “You don't have to go through all that trouble Pera I'm not all that hungry.”


 


“Not all that hungry still means you're hungry.”


 


A sigh escaped Allen as he looked around. “What about that one over there I don't see any bug bights on it.”


 


“It's not ready yet. I want to make sure to get us some good and ripe ones.”


 


“Just find you a ripe one and I'll take that one right there.”


 


For a moment Pera stopped her search and turned to look down at Allen. “No!” With those words Pera sunk her claws into the trees bark and once again began her search. She could smell more fruit and was quickly locating the next ripest. After the last five she'd examined.


 


A sigh escaped Allen as he watched Pera searching the tree. It was kind of funny to see her moving over, between and under the limbs with so little effort. At times she even moved sideways along the tree by sinking her claws into it. In time she wouldn't be able to do that on a tree with the current ones girth or she'd end up badly damage the tree or falling due to her weight. Instead of saying anything he began to carefully move towards the piece of fruit he'd pointed out earlier intending to snatch it before Pera could say anything to him. A low growl stopped him.


 


It was impossible for Pera to keep her frustration in as she held the piece of fruit. “What's wrong with this tree!” All the fruit Pera had inspected were rather high up and over all quite difficult to reach. They should have been in very good condition due to that but so far all the best fruit she'd found had been heavily damaged by bugs. Instead of continuing her searching she quickly leaped down so that she was in front of Allen. “We're finding another tree.”


 


Allen didn't have time to get his snack or comment as Pera quickly picked him up and placed him over her shoulder. Before he could even blink she'd leaped from the tree and was quickly moving along. He could hear her sniffing so that he knew she was following her nose. There was no point in trying to struggle at this point. “Pera your shoulder is poking me a little in the stomach.”


 


“Whoops!” While Pera didn't stop immediately she did bring herself to a stop as quickly as she could without harming Allen. As she did so she pushed up on him a bit lifting him higher for a moment before settling him down. “Alright. How is that?”


 


“Better. You know it's going to be nice whenever you get to start eating the life bloom. That way this won't be nearly as much of a problem sense I'll have more room.”


 


“That is true.” With those words Pera once again began to move along. “It'll be a lot easier to pack you without harming you once that happens. I wonder how much bigger we're going to be allowed to get.”


 


“Maybe you'll get to grow to the current guardian size.”


 


“That would be neat! Allen let's shift you to my back. Remember to keep your legs wrapped around me.”


 


In response Allen gave a nod as Pera once again came to a stop and set him down. As he wrapped his arms around her though another thought came to him. “You know if that were to happen I wouldn't be able to wrap my legs around you.”


 


“Yeah but I could easily support you with one arm.” As Allen got himself settled Pera once again began to sprint along. “Has your mother told you anything about the construction?”


 


“She said that it was going smoothly except for a few mishaps. Apparently two sisters got in a fight while working and Alexa had to stop them from fighting.”


 


“I heard about that. Apparently it was decided that it'd be best if the sisters were allowed to settle their differences in the arena. I thought about going to the fight to see exactly who it was but I chose not to.”


 


“Why not?”


 


“I just didn't feel like it. How about you?”


 


“No. Mommy said that it was going to start past my bed time so she didn't let me go.”


 


Pera couldn't help but giggle as she heard this news. “Your mom really worries about you. Yay!” Excitement once again flooded Pera as she found the tree and brought herself to a stop. Several large red fruit were currently suspended from the tree as she placed Allen down. “This one is certain to have some good ones.”


 


Allen didn't argue as he was seated on a rather sturdy limb and watched Pera begin inspecting the tree. Before he'd seated himself though he noticed several tiny branches falling towards the forest floor. “What was that?”


 


“Snake.”


 


“Did you need to kill it?”


 


“It might have came towards you while I was searching.”


 


A sigh escaped Allen as he made himself comfortable. Despite having seen it before it was quite amusing watching Pera inspect the tree for the best fruit. “Hey Pera what do you think it'd be like if you got to be as big as my mom is now?”


 


“Oh that would be neat! I could cradle you in one arm or have you ride on my shoulder. It'd be really easy to protect you then if I was that big and strong as well. We'd need entirely new houses though.”


 


“That's true I bet if they let you grow that big my mom couldn't even fit into our old house. Do you believe if you got to be that much bigger they'd let you take me to the edge of the forest?”


 


“I bet they would!”


 


“That'd be nice. On the subject of the edge of the forest though I wonder if we could take a trip to the ocean. I haven't been there in a long time and the water around here is getting cold so I can't go swimming.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Pera as she looked down at Allen. “Just do it in your bath tub.”


 


It was impossible for Allen not to grin as he realized the truth of what Pera was saying. As his mother was a keeper the bath they used was particularly large. If he were to fill it to the brim he probably could have swam in it. “I don't know if mommy would like me doing that. She doesn't like it whenever I use as much water as she does.”


 


“Ah that's no fun. I wish my mom was a keeper at times.”


 


“You do?”


 


In response Pera gave a quick nod. “Yeah! But, she's never managed to show enough tolerance to earn the right to become a keeper. Um Allen, if we are allowed to grow bigger I wonder what we're going to do about you brothers. What if we're forced to pick between being allowed to grow larger or being allowed to interact with our brothers?”


 


For a moment Allen said nothing as he looked up at Pera. “I'd really miss spending time with you Pera but I would be happy that you're not hungry all the time anymore. Well not as hungry at least and I'm certain that you'd learn to control your body really quickly.”


 


Instead of continuing her search Pera stopped and looked down at Allen. “I'm not sure if I'll eat the life bloom if that happens. I mean. It'd be nice not to have to feel hungry so often but I'd really miss you to. I'm certain that Mirin and the others already thought of that though and are deciding on a safe size increase for everyone.”


 


“Yeah.”


 


“Hey Allen how are your alchemy studies going?” With those words Pera resumed her examination of the tree feeling certain that she was closing on her target.


 


“They're alright I suppose. I accidentally made a bit of a mess during my last practical examination.”


 


“What went wrong?”


 


“The crystal I dissolved in the solution had a little more energy then I expected it to and well some of the energy escaped. It caused a bit of an explosion.”


 


“Oh! Was anyone hurt?”


 


“No but I thought I wouldn't be allowed to progress in my studies.”


 


“You thought you wouldn't? That means that you're not going to be held back.”


 


“Yeah, while I made a mistake my work was technically correct and the potion still worked.” A sigh escaped Allen as he shook his head. “Our teacher decided I needed some extra motivation to be more careful though whenever dealing with alchemy. He's forcing me to keep a check list now.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Pera as she stopped to look down at Allen. “How does that work?”


 


“I have to list everything that I'm going to use in the potion. Then I have to develop a formula showing the ratio of compounds to one another including the quality. Finally I have to write down the amount of each compound I'm going to use.”


 


“For how long?”


 


“He didn't say.”


 


“Did you tell Stella about it?”


 


“I'm not going to tell mom!”


 


A slight giggle escaped Pera as she listened to the concern in Allen's voice. “So I'm guessing you don't believe your mother would speak to your instructor about reducing the punishment.”


 


Before he could respond Allen heard a very noticeable roar come from near by and turned his attention to Pera. Upon doing so he noticed her entire body was tensed as if she was ready to tear something apart. “Is that fruit bad to.”


 


“I am going to find two good ones!”


 


Pera's words brought a smile to Allen's face though he was made to sigh. “How about I help out?” Instead of waiting for a response Allen proceeded to stand up and take hold of one of the branches above him. As he pressed down on the limb her heard a rather noticeable crack and found himself moving forward despite his desires. The sound of several branches being torn away hit his ears seconds later and he felt something wrap around his waste as the branch fell towards the ground.


 


The branches Allen had heard being broken had actually been Pera's doing. The moment she'd noticed him falling she'd rushed strait to his side destroying everything that got in her way. As she took hold of him a sigh escaped her. “Are you alright?”


 


“Yeah. I'm fine thanks for the save though that fall would have hurt.”


 


In response Pera gave a nod and looked down at the branch. “Strange that should have been able to hold you up easily.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


It was pretty clear to Dan that Mina was on edge again. Fortunately she wouldn't have to worry about that for long as soon she'd be allowed to release that energy. Unfortunately he didn't know if their home could last until then as he noticed a rather large chunk missing from the doorway where Mina's tail had slammed into it. “I guess you're pretty eager to meet up with Lenora.”


 


“Yeah it was nice of her to volunteer to spar with me. I'm a little nervous though after hearing how many people are going to show up.”


 


“Nervous? Now what would you have to be nervous about?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina as she shook her head. “I don't know. I really don't want to appear weak in front of my sisters. I want them to feel safe around me after all.”


 


“I wouldn't worry about that happening Mina. You're going up against a matron that's over four times your height. I would say that shows a great deal of strength.”


 


“Thanks. Dan I really hate to ask this but would you do me a favor?”


 


“Sure, if I'm able.”


 


“Feed me.” As she spoke Mina pointed down towards her plate were several bits of meat, fruit and dining utensils rested.


 


Dan couldn't help the look of surprise that appeared on his face whenever he looked at the various broken items. There were bits of goop that had once been food and a few handles on the table. For a moment Dan wasn't certain what to say but then a chuckle escaped him and he picked up one of the remaining forks. As he sunk it into the fish before Mina he cut away a small bit of it and then held it up just before her face. “Open for the wagon.”


 


Mina had thought Dan was just going to feed her but upon hearing the tone in his voice a slight giggle escaped her and she proceeded to open her mouth. Instead of opening it just enough for the fish though she opened it as wide as she could. “Ah!”


 


There was a grin on Dan's face as he inserted the fish and knife into Mina's mouth. He then used the knife to remove the fish from the fork and pulled them both away before Mina closed her mouth. “If you just close your lips and not your teeth I won't need the knife.”


 


“Ah!”


 


It was impossible for Dan to keep from chuckling as Mina opened her mouth once again. This time he put a far larger bite into her mouth though. “Is it good?”


 


“Of course after all you fixed it.”


 


Dan waited until he'd put some more fish into Mina's mouth though this time he included a few slices of fruit. “Mina what's got you on edge like this? I've been thinking about it and I don't remember you complaining about the claimed.”


 


“They've been pretty well behaved actually.” A sigh escaped Mina and she opened her mouth for another bit of food. She took her time chewing this time to give herself time to think. “I tried to figure it out myself a lot over these last few days but to be honest I'm not having much like with that.”


 


“So the claimed haven't been giving you a hard time?”


 


“I think they realize I'm on edge so they've been careful not to cross me.”


 


“Do you believe that you're worried they might be hiding something?”


 


In response Mina gave her head a slight shake. “No. That's not it. Especially after we stepped up security.”


 


“Well maybe you just need a challenge like Mirin speculated. I'm curious about something though. Mina I know the Luvarians designed you all to be predators. I can't think of a predator though that truly seeks a challenge? After all predators go after the smaller weaker animals instead of the animal that has a good chance of killing it.”


 


“You're wondering where this desire for a challenge came from then?”


 


“Well yeah.”


 


“Don't humans seeks challenges?”


 


“Ah I see. So you believe that it's a mixture of a humans desire to challenge themselves mixed in with a predators instinct to hunt?”


 


“I suppose that it may be.”


 


“Hm well at least they left out humans desire to cause mindless death and destruction whenever they made you and your sisters.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina and instead of taking the food Dan offered her she leaned forward and gave him a kiss on the forehead. “I don't believe that's an innate feature of humans to be honest with you.”


 


“Then why is it so prevalent in all known cultures?”


 


“Well I can't really answer that after all I'm not an expert in human cultures. I've come to believe it's a way for you humans to relieve stress though. Your bodies are so delicate after all. A sudden change in the weather, a short fall just a run in with the wrong person or animal and you're dead. At least we don't have to live with that stress all our lives. It must be difficult.”


 


“We're not that delicate.” A sharp grunt escaped Dan moments later and he was made to stumble backwards as he felt something push against his stomach forcing him to exhale.


 


“You sure could have fooled me.” A slight giggle escaped Mina as she leaned forward and took the food off the fork Dan was holding. As she did so she was careful not to bite down with her teeth but instead used her lips to pull the food off.


 


“Now Mina that isn't fair. Just about everything is delicate compared to you and your sisters. You were designed to be an apex predator and protector from the ground up after all.”


 


“That might be true but I'm not the only being that thinks you humans are quite vulnerable.”


 


“That is true.” Instead of complaining about the poke Dan gathered up another bit of food. “At least we're able to replenish our numbers relatively quickly though.”


 


“Yeah you do have us beat there.”


 


“We also have our magic to. Granted it's not something we gain naturally at least not in most cases but it's something we can learn. So we're not all that vulnerable.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina as she chewed on her food. “Oh I don't know about that. Your magic sure doesn't seem to help you too much against one of us.”


 


“Sure it does. It makes us valuable to you so you're less likely to kill us.”


 


“Hm you have a point there. Actually that's a really good point.”


 


“Considering your low birth rate as well I'm not so certain that we're the vulnerable ones here. Wouldn't it be a lot more difficult if you only had those brothers that were born here to depend on to replenish your numbers? If you think about it that way you're the vulnerable ones.”


 


“I dunno. We don't exactly have to get your permission to gain what we need from you.”


 


“You do have a point there.” A sigh escaped Dan as he looked down at Mina's plate. “Are you certain that's all you want?”


 


“That was my regular meal?”


 


“I'm still not really comfortable with that.”


 


“With what?”


 


“Whenever I see your plate alone it looks like you have plenty to eat. Then I compare how much you eat to your body and I just want to give you some of my food to be honest. That or get up and prepare another meal. If I were to have a human guest that ate as little as you do when compared to your body size I'd feel a bit offended. That or I'd go get a second opinion to see how bad my food was.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina as she placed a hand on Dan's shoulder. “All the time we've been together and you're still not use to it. Well that's just another one of the things I love about you. I'm a little thirsty though would you mind getting me another cup? I accidentally crushed mine before I asked you to feed me.”


 


“I'd be happy to. What do you want to drink?”


 


“I believe I'd like some grape juice this time around.”


 


“I'm not certain if we have any of that.”


 


“We do. I picked up some a few days ago whenever I smelt it while searching around food storage. I hadn't drank any in a while so I thought it'd be nice to get a bottle of it.”


 


“I'll see if I can find it then.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Hello Flora it's-” Joseph didn't get to finish as he found himself suddenly lifted from the ground and hugged to Flora's massive form.


 


“Joseph it's good to see you!”


 


It took Joseph a moment to respond. Flora had pulled him from the ground somewhat suddenly and it had caught him by surprise. “It's good to see you as well.”


 


“So have you and my little Maria been getting along? Ah why did I even ask that! I know you're getting along I can smell it.”


 


Joseph could actually feel his skin warming up as he began to blush upon realizing that Flora was probably talking about. “Yes, we've been getting along quite well. At least I've got nothing to complain about and I haven't heard any from Maria.”


 


“Nothing? I find that hard to believe.”


 


“Well there's nothing worth mentioning.”


 


“Oh so there is something that bothers you. How about letting me know what my little girl is up to?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “I don't believe so. If it's not important enough for me to talk to Maria about I see no reason to talk about it with others. Even her mother.”


 


“Ah come on. Give me the dirt.”


 


“I'm afraid I can't do that.”


 


A sigh escaped Flora as she relaxed her hold on Joseph and carefully set him down. “Well alright. So where is my little girl?”


 


“She's coming she wanted to run into the forest and gather up a few things after she dropped me off. I believe it's more then just a few things from the bag she was packing with her.”


 


“That wouldn't be surprising this is a pretty big event.”


 


“So Flora are you just here to watch your friend fight or is there something else?”


 


“Something else I'm afraid. I'm here to insure that everyone is safe especially our brothers. We are in kobold territory and they might try something though Fera was here earlier and gave the place a good search.”


 


“Did she find anything?”


 


“We'd have canceled if she hadn't or at least chose a different location. She dealt with the kobolds in the area.”


 


“That's good to know though I have to ask. Who is Fera?”


 


“Oh that's right the only matron that you've ever met was Sora isn't it?”


 


“Yeah.”


 


“Well you'll see her soon enough. She's going to help us keep an eye on things while the fights going on. Anyway, come with me and I'll show you to where the brothers are going to be seated.”


 


“Couldn't I just stay with Maria once she gets back? I'm certain that with her speed she could keep me safe.”


 


“Don't worry. Couples are allowed to set together.”


 


“Hey Mom!”


 


As the words hit her ears Flora was actually a bit surprised and turned to face her daughter. “Maria you're back early.”


 


“I just had a few things in mind.” As she spoke Maria held up a rather large satchel that was clearly stuffed quite full. “I got some snacks for me and Joseph as well as some to share with a few of our other sisters.”


 


“Well then once things get started I'll have to stop by and grab something as well. Now that you're here though I'll let you take Joseph to where the brothers are going to be observing.”


 


“Alright.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Lanora felt a little strange as she looked around and noted the massive gathering of sisters and brothers. Normally this would be such a miss match that she doubted anyone would come except to insure that the weaker sister came out without serious harm. Everyone seemed to be expecting a serious match from this fight and it actually annoyed her on some level. The fact that Mina was only a keeper yet regarded as a serious threat to a matron just seemed laughable to Lanora after all there was quite a huge divide between a keeper and a matron. Keeper was a status any sister in theory could achieve matron on the other hand was one only a select few could have.


 


“How are you feeling?”


 


It actually surprised Lanora whenever she recognized the voice and she turned to face Fera. Even amongst matrons Fera was quite large which seemed strange to Lanora at times given Fera's predatory nature. “I'm feeling fine. I figure I'll let Mina tire herself out before pinning her and that should be the end of it. I'm afraid all our sisters won't be getting much of a show.”


 


For a moment Fera said nothing but then a slight chuckle escaped her. “I wish that I could show you what I see whenever I look at Mina.”


 


“What do you mean?”


 


“As you know my eyes let me see the life energy of other beings. They also let me see how strong that life energy is and where it's concentrated. Normally this gives me an ideal of how powerful the being is and where they might be building up strength for an attack. The life energy inside of Mina though is incredibly dense as if every part of her was ready to attack at any given moment. They're not many sisters with such intensity or anything approaching it and even for those few who do have similar intensity it's different.”


 


“Really? What do you see whenever you look at me?”


 


“Your energy flows effectively the same way as most of ours does except whenever you're injured. The way your energy concentrates and moves to allow such exceptional healing is interesting or has been the few times that I've seen it.”


 


For a moment Lanora said nothing but turned to face Fera entirely. “Does that mean you could counter it?”


 


“Well often whenever I'm hunting my opponents life energy guides my claws. So I'm used to using the flow of someone's life energy to see where to strike. I doubt that you're an exception to the rule.”


 


“I guess abilities like that are why you were allowed to grow to such a large size.”


 


“I suppose so.”


 


“Fera, the others were talking like they weren't certain how strong Mina truly was. Could you give me an ideal of how strong she is?”


 


“I can't be certain as even I haven't seen her really worked up. I can tell you this. If you were to compare an equal amount of mass from yourself to that of Mina's you'd find that Mina's is far stronger then yours. At least that's what her life energy indicates.”


 


“Alright thanks for the information. Well it looks like everyone has arrived so I'm going to go take my position.”


 


“Have fun and remember this is more then just a competition. Mina really needs to release some of her pent up feelings.”


 


“I'll keep that in mind.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Hey Dan, how are you doing?”


 


“Hi Mirin I'm doing alright.”


 


“You don't look alright to me.”


 


“Huh? Oh don't worry about it I'm fine. It's just hard to relax knowing that Mina's going to be fighting a matron soon.”


 


“Worried about her safety?”


 


“Yeah, for all her strength and seeming invulnerability I still love Mina and worry about her. I really don't want to see her hurt.”


 


“I don't believe anyone here does but unless she gets this release she's liable to end up hurting someone else.”


 


“That's true and knowing Mina that'd be far worse then her experiencing some physical pain. Where is Sora by the way? I thought she was coming to insure no one was killed.”


 


“Sora is around here somewhere. For some reason she decided to stay hidden.” For a moment Mirin went silent and looked past Dan. “Maria, Joseph why are you two setting over there?”


 


Joseph had to turn around to face the direction the voice had come from. As he looked up he was a bit surprised to see Mirin. It wasn't his presence that was surprising though rather it was what he was wearing. “Hey Mirin.”


 


Once he realized who Mirin was speaking to Dan stood up and turned around. “Hey Joseph, Maria how about coming up here and joining us.”


 


Instead of waiting for Joseph to respond Maria eagerly spoke up. “We'll be right there.” As she finished speaking Maria reached down and slipped one hand under Joseph. Once she began lifting him she felt him wrap his arms around her neck and she lifted their satchel of treats. This gave Joseph the time needed to get a good grip so that she was able to leap over to Dan without fear of Joseph falling. “You're getting better at holding on.”


 


“I think my body is finally learning that it needs to hold on tight whenever you move.”


 


“Hm Joseph I have a question for you. Do I move quickly because you're holding on tightly or do I move quickly so you will hold on tightly?”


 


Dan scooted over a bit to give the couple more space that they really didn't need as they were seated. “I'm glad you two could come.”


 


To this Joseph gave a quick nod. “It's not a problem. How are you feeling Dan? Nervous I imagine.”


 


“Yeah. I swear I've seen Mina accidentally shatter solid stone with a flick of her tail and yet to me she's still my big softy. I can't help but worry about her getting hurt.”


 


“I understand that.” Before continuing Joseph turned to Mirin. “Mirin I hope you don't mind me asking but what are you wearing?”


 


“These? They're specially enchanted robes to help amplify certain forms of magic though they tend to hinder others. I'm going to be helping to maintain the protective barrier around this place once the fight gets going.”


 


“Do those poles have something to do with that?” As he spoke Joseph indicated a near by pole. The miniature tower was made from what appeared to be silver with a design Joseph didn't quite recognize covering the length of it. At the top of it rested a bright green crystal.


 


“Indeed they do. They're what will actually be maintaining the spell and directing the energy.”


 


While Joseph spoke with Mirin, Maria turned her attention to Dan. “Hey Dan would you like something to snack on? I got quite a few little treats here.” As she spoke Maria opened the bag so that Dan could see inside.


 


“It looks like you had a pretty good time searching. With the cold weather setting in it seems like the pickings would be a bit slimmer.”


 


“Well when you can cover as much ground as me as quickly as I can then it isn't really a big deal. You're right about the weather though it seemed a bit harder then it should have been to find these even with the weather.”


 


“Would you mind if I had one of those peaches?”


 


“Sure would you like me to take the skin off?”


 


“No thank you.” As Dan reached out to take the fruit he halted himself for a moment and turned towards the grounds that would serve as the arena. Mina had taken up her position in it and he gave a sigh. “It looks like things are about to begin.”


 


Mina actually found herself blushing a little though her dark fur hid that from everyone's view. She felt a little nervous with so many sisters watching her but she also felt relief. Absently she began to run her foot along her right leg scratching an imaginary itch as she waited for Lanora to show up. Even as she blushed though she could feel that her body was ready. Her muscles were tensing and she couldn't quite convince her claws to retract. Something deep inside of her had began to awaken and a desire that Mina tended to keep quiet was beginning to bubble up within her. She didn't even notice that whenever she placed her foot on the ground she did it with such force the stone under her was made to crack.


 


Lanora had a grin on her face as she realized Mina was ready and she stepped into the opening for everyone to see. It was fairly amusing as she looked down at Mina and noted how her sister didn't even come up to her knees. Yet this was suppose to be a serious challenge. There was a moment of surprise though whenever she looked into Mina's eyes and found that she was looking strait back at her. It was the first time Lanora could remember something looking upon her as prey.


 


Normally a sister would call the beginning and end of such fights however given who was fighting Mirin made his way to the edge of the battle ground. As he did so he found himself gathering energy and imbuing his voice with that energy so that it would carry to all ears around. “I want all gathered here to know that this is agreed upon mutual combat with no stakes involved. The match will be called when in danger of grievous harm or life. As both combatants have taken the field you may begin.”


 


As Mirin said begin Dan leaned forward and focused intently on Mina. He felt his heart skip a beat whenever she suddenly disappeared from view. A massive cloud of pulverized rock had erupted from where she once stood and the sound of what seemed to be an explosion slammed into his ears. It had caught Dan off guard as the only time he'd known her to attack first was whenever she was hunting.


 


The acceleration that Mina's strength allowed her to move at was well beyond what Lanora had been expecting. One moment her eyes had been focused on Mina and in the next Mina was no longer there. A sharp pain in her stomach told her where Mina was seconds later and without looking down Lanora lashed out with her right hand meaning to smack Mina away. She was rather surprised whenever she felt her fingers impact with something amazingly solid and heard a loud impact moments later. As she spun and looked at the ground though she saw a massive opening in the ground with small bits of pulverized stone falling towards the earth. At the end of the stone path she found Mina and surprisingly she seemed unharmed more surprisingly though she was growling.


 


Something was moving inside of Mina. As she looked at Lanora she sunk her toes and fingers into the ground to gain better traction for when she charged. She could feel something moving within her though seeming to start deep within her chest and slowly radiating outward. It seemed to be a heat that flowed throughout her body and focused her eyes on Lanora. A roar was heard resounding throughout the area but it took Mina a moment to realize that it was coming from her. She heard the stone shatter beneath her claws and toes as she pushed off the ground and once again rushed towards Lanora.


 


This time Lanora had been expecting Mina's charge. Such that as Mina leaped into the air she once again lashed out at her meaning to smack her away. She felt her hand impact with something solid and then she felt pain in wrist and forearm seconds later she found the source. Mina had actually managed to take hold of her arm as the force hadn't been sufficient to knock her away. In response Lanora quickly moved to smack Mina away with her free hand this only resulted in the pain in her arm being made to grow all the more intense as Mina leaped into the air and slammed into Lanora's chest.


 


Upon evading the hand Mina wasted no time. She took hold of Lanora's fur and flesh actually sinking the claws of her left hand and toes into Lanora to secure her footing. She then proceeded to deliver several blows with her right arm. She didn't even notice as Lanora was made to stumble backwards from the impacts nor did she noticed the claw coming for her. It was only whenever Lanora's fist had impacted with Mina that she was made to stop the assault though Mina didn't release her grip. Rather she took a bit of Lanora with her as she was knocked away.


 


Mina's punches had seriously hurt. While previously Lanora had only tried to smack Mina this time she had actually punched her. The sound of the impact made her heart jump as she turned to see what she'd done hoping she hadn't killed a sister in a moment of anger. She was actually quite surprised whenever she heard a rather angry hissing sound reaching her ear as Mina once again stood ready with her hands and feet on the ground. Unlike last time though it seemed that her punch had hurt Mina as she saw Mina shake her head several times.


 


Lanora was correct in thinking that her punch had hurt Mina. The sudden acceleration and slamming into the ground had actually left her dizzy while the impact itself had hurt enough that she didn't want to just charge Lanora again. For the moment Mina was holding her ground and giving her head time to quit spinning. The fact that she was hissing in anger didn't actually occur to her as she found herself more lost in the fight then thinking about her behavior. It seemed to be working as Lanora clearly wasn't eager to come towards her.


 


Dan had completely forgotten the fruit he'd asked Maria for beforehand and was carefully watching the fight. Even he'd been quite surprised by the beginning and horrified whenever Mina had been knocked to the ground. As he looked upon her though he found himself seeing an aspect of Mina he'd rarely looked upon. “Maria I can't hear very well. What is Mina doing?”


 


“She's. Well she is hissing at Lanora.”


 


“Do you believe she's alright?”


 


“Yeah I'm pretty sure she's able to continue. I can't believe how hard she hit Lanora though.”


 


A low growl escaped Lanora as she looked at Mina. Why was she standing there? Surely she wasn't scared of Mina after just a few punches and scratches? She'd already healed from those thanks to her abilities and she wasn't going to wait around. This time she chose to charge and not give Mina time to ready herself.


 


Instead of rushing to meet Lanora's charge Mina held her ground. While Lanora might have had more mass and due to that strength hers wasn't as concentrated as Mina's. So that as Lanora swung her fist downward to strike Mina, Mina leaped into the air. Her greater overall muscle strength accelerated her far more quickly then Lanora's could accelerate her and she quickly began to move along Lanora's arm. While she moved Mina made certain to use the claws on her feet and hands to get maximum traction and deal a little damage.


 


Pain quickly moved up Lanora's arm but that was soon forgotten as she felt something slam into the side of her head. The force of the impact was more then enough to shake her up and she found herself suddenly toppling to the side. As she fell though she could still see Mina leaping away.


 


Mina had thrown her entire body into the attack. Using the strength of both of her legs and her arms. By slamming her shoulder into the side of Lanora's head she'd been able to inflict some real harm. At least it had been enough to topple her. There was no thoughts of slowing down in Mina's mind though as the moment she landed back on the ground she quickly charged towards Lanora once again. With her opponent dazed she intended to press the advantage.


 


Maria could hardly believe what she was seeing. She knew that Mina was strong for her size but this went far beyond that. They'd expected a close match but from what Maria could see Mina had the advantage. It had often been believed that if Mina once again put herself into a coma and developed another mutation she'd surpass the power of a matron easily. However, the ideal that she had already surpassed the power of a matron was truly astonishing. “Mirin is Lanora holding back out there?”


 


“Huh?”


 


“Is Lanora holding back?”


 


“I don't know Maria. I don't believe so she was told to give Mina a good fight.” As Mirin watched the happenings before him he didn't know what to think. It'd always been known that Mina surpassed the power of a keeper but this was going beyond that. The assumption that five keepers or so would be enough to detain Mina now seemed like a very foolish notion indeed. The sound of stone being powdered and the sight of Lanora standing up once again pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind though.


 


Pain filled Lanora's body as she brought herself to a standing position. While generally she healed very rapidly the rate at which Mina had been delivering her attacks were far beyond what she could tell. A fact that truly astounded the matron. As she looked towards Mina she made no move to attack her though. She'd realized her mistakes shortly after the blow to her head. She simply didn't have the speed to attack Mina and truly hope to succeed with Mina's ability to accelerate and rapidly change directions while standing. Fortunately all that acceleration and speed was limited to one direction she had to hold her ground.


 


Mina wasn't really thinking tactics now as she let lose a feral growl. A growl that resounded throughout the area with such forces and ferocity that it made several sister's recoil as well as brothers. Dan seeming to be the only person watching the fight that didn't back up at least a little. As Mina looked at Lanora she could feel her muscles tensing and relaxing with each breath. What she didn't notice was that with each breath those muscles seemed to be expanding even more becoming more and more solid.


 


It was actually difficult for Lanora to hold her ground as Mina quickly rushed towards her. As she moved it seemed like the sound from Mina's claws tearing through the ground was coming more slowly then Mina herself was. As Mina leaped into the air though Lanora responded quickly and thrust her hand towards Mina. There was a great feeling of success as she felt her fist connect and Lanora quickly rushed forward meaning to take advantage of the attack.


 


As Mina's body slammed into the ground she dug her fingers and toes into the ground in order to hasten her stop. There was pain from the punch but it did nothing to slow her down. However, as Mina was coming to a stop she noticed a shadow coming over her though not quickly enough to evade it as Lanora's foot came slamming down into her. The massive limb drove Mina even deeper into the ground and pushed up the ground around them so that it engulfed even more of Lanora's leg.


 


At first Lanora had felt a great wave of satisfaction upon slamming her foot into Mina. Then the concern hit her. Had that been too much? For a moment Lanora was uncertain as to whether she should remove her foot or not. If she had seriously injured Mina she needed to stop now however she didn't want to give Mina a chance to humiliate her further if she wasn't truly injured. An explosion seemed to occur at the base of her foot making the decision for her.


 


Dan felt like his heart had stopped whenever he saw Lanora step on Mina. All that mass and forces had just came down upon Mina. Fear for her safety flooded every part of his being. Then he saw it. He saw Lanora's leg lifting from the crater she'd just created. It wasn't only her foot though as Lanora's entire body lifted into the air and slammed into the grounds moments later. A figure burst from within the ground to stand on top of the pile of earth Lanora had forced up from beneath the ground then he heard the roar.


 


Mina was gone. There was no thoughts about fighting a sister or the spectators. All she knew was that she had an enemy before her and that she had just been injured. Blood lust mixed with anger and a sudden feeling that she had to drive this opponent off or kill her. The grounds beneath Mina's feet was made to shatter such that the sound of the stone being crushed resounded throughout the entire area as she rushed towards Lanora once again.


 


Just what was this sister made of? Lanora didn't know what to think as Mina quickly charged towards her. The memory of what had happened seconds later brought a grin to Lanora's face though as she realized Mina was making the same mistake she had made before. Lanora took on a defensive stance and waited for Mina to leap into the air. The sound reached her ears and Lanora was surprised by the fact that instead of leaping into the air Mina had jumped towards her leg. Still Lanora quickly kicked her leg outward towards Mina and she felt it connect. Horrific pain shot throughout her ankle moments later as Lanora felt her leg forced backwards.


 


Mina had put such force into her jump that upon impact with Lanora's legs she'd overwhelmed it despite its greater mass. Her fingers dug deeply into Lanora's skin and then Mina pushed off Lanora's foot leaping higher and going for Lanora's head. Instead of making a single leap though Mina jumped onto Lanora's upper thigh and then quickly began to scramble up Lanora's back.


 


Pain surged through Lanora's body every time Mina moved. Almost in a panic Lanora reached back hoping to take hold of Mina she didn't know what to think whenever she felt something slam into her fingers. The force of the impact made her fear that one of them had been broken and withdraw her hand. Before she could realize how foolish of a mistake that had been she felt something slam into the back of her head.


 


Mirin wasn't certain what to think as he saw Lanora stagger forward. Apparently Mina had landed quite a powerful blow. There wasn't really time to consider the implications though as he Mina take hold of Lanora's head with both her hands and then quickly work her away around so that she drove both her feet into Lanora's throat. It was apparent the attack had worked as Lanora was made to gasp suddenly and instinctively reach for her throat. Mina wasn't there though.


 


It was difficult for Mina to change directions whenever she started moving. However, as long as she was moving in a strait line she had exceptional acceleration as well as speed. This was allowing her to avoid Lanora's hands. As she moved to deliver a blow to the side of Lanora's neck Mina's hand suddenly opened up and her claws fully extended. While she had used her claws to get a good grip before it had been so long since she'd used them for striking instead of her fist even her body seemed to have forgotten how. Now she drove those claws into and along the side of Lanora's neck paying no attention to the scream of pain that escaped Lanora as she did so.


 


Lanora was no longer worried about harming Mina as she slammed her hand into the back of her neck only to find Mina wasn't there. Her injuries had began to seriously hurt her and while some of the earlier ones had already healed Mina was creating new ones at an increasing rate. As Mina began to make use of her claws the rate increased all the more so that Lanora found herself bringing out her own claws. This time she wouldn't just swat Mina away but intended to do some real damage. Horrific pain going strait down her back told her where Mina was seconds later.


 


Mina had actually sunken her claws into Lanora's back just at the bottom of the neck. She'd then used her legs to force herself downward cutting a massive opening in Lanora's skin as she moved. A sudden shift in Lanora's body told Mina something was coming and she saw Lanora's hand coming for her. Instead of trying to jump away from that arm though Mina quickly leaped onto Lanora's forearm and sunk her claws into it as well as her teeth. She felt herself suddenly swing upward as Lanora responded to the attack and released her hold leaping away just as Lanora clapped her free hand down upon the location.


 


Mirin couldn't help himself any longer and turned to Dan. “Dan do you know what might be going on with Mina? I've never heard of her fighting like. Well like that.”


 


“I've never seen her like this Mirin. What's going on?”


 


“Mina's fighting like she's gone feral.” As she spoke Maria couldn't help the concern in her voice. Such behavior tended to only happen whenever a sister was under a great deal of stress or feeling very powerful negative emotions. Their bodies tended to take over and they fought in an utterly viscous manner.


 


In response Mirin gave a nod. “I was confident that Mina would be able to give Lanora something of a challenge but if this keeps up. We're going to have to pull Mina off of Lanora.”


 


“You little bitch!” Lanora couldn't help herself despite all the eyes upon her. She'd gone into the fight believing she'd have an easy time but so far Mina was humiliating her. She'd received several injuries while Mina seemed relatively unharmed despite the differences in their masses. Furthering the humiliation was the fact that the injuries Mina had given her were truly hurting. She was rather surprised whenever Mina answered her statement with a roar and she felt something slam into her left leg.


 


As Mirin watched the fight unfolding he found himself becoming more and more concerned. “Maria I want you to take me over to Fera. I want to ask her what she sees.”


 


Instead of questioning Mirin, Maria stood up and quickly lifted him into her arms. “I'll be right back Joseph.” With those words Maria leaped into the air and began to quickly sprint towards Fera who was watching the fight intently.


 


As Fera watched Mina she was utterly amazed by the amount of life energy concentrated into such a small area. While the life energy Mina had contained inside of her body didn't truly match up to the amount inside of Lanora the fact was that Mina had the same energy level wrapped up inside of her much smaller body as Lanora did inside of one of her legs. This meant Lanora still had a good deal more energy and strength but it was like a boulder being broken apart by a smaller but much denser and stronger stone.


 


“Fera.”


 


In response to Mirin's comment Fera glanced over at him and Maria as she came to a stop. “Brother Mirin and sister Maria. It's nice to see the two of you. I take it you're concerned for the safety of our sisters.”


 


In response Mirin gave a quick nod. “Yes Fera. How is Lanora doing?”


 


“Lanora is winning the fight.”

Chapter 15 by happiest_in_shadows

As the words hit his ears Mirin nearly fell over. “What! Mina is taking her apart.”


 


“I know it looks that way but Mina isn't only beating up Lanora. She's fighting far too intensely and while that has given her the edge for the moment she's also beating up herself. She's pushing her muscles and bones to their limit fighting so savagely. However, if it wasn't for Lanora's healing capabilities Mina would no doubt have won this fight.”


 


“Are they in danger of losing their lives?” Mirin was a bit surprised whenever he heard a slight growl coming from Fera.


 


“Mirin I don't like being insulted like that.” As she spoke Fera turned her attention from the fight and focused entirely on Mirin and Maria.


 


Mirin immediately recognize his mistake and gave a nod. “I didn't mean to insult you like that Fera. I know you care for your sisters and wouldn't allow this to continue if you thought their lives were in danger. I was just over come with concern after what you said.”


 


“Apology accepted. As for your concern. Mina is going to need some time to recover if she continues fighting like she has been. While she hasn't sustained any one serious injury all those little injuries will add up in time.”


 


“Fera do you believe you alone can restrain Mina without seriously injuring her?”


 


“No. At least not at this moment if things are allowed to continue then yes. Though by then she'll already have suffered some fairly serious injuries.”


 


“How long do you believe she'll be injured?” As Mirin spoke her heard a massive roar come from behind him though he didn't look to see what it was. From the sound of it he assumed that Mina had given Fera another notable injury.


 


“It will take her at least a week to heal if we let things continue. All the minor injuries could add up such that it would take her an entire month to recover her full strength if the fight is allowed to continue until she can't fight anymore. That is assuming Fera can hold out.”


 


“I thought you said that Fera was winning?”


 


“Yes but that was before she let Mina take a swipe at her right eye.”


 


“What!” In response to the comment Mirin quickly spun around to find that Lanora had her right eye closed. “Did she lose it!”


 


“No, but she won't be able to see out of it for the duration of the fight even with her healing ability. If Mina makes use of that blind spot now she could do some very serious injuries. You don't need to worry so much though Mirin. Sora is plenty ready to step in should the fight get out of hand.”


 


“You mean you can see Sora?”


 


“At times. Only whenever she moves quickly and her life energy becomes particularly notable in her legs can I see her.”


 


“Alright, well then Maria if you'd please take me back to the observation area. I want to put some more energy into the barrier to make sure it doesn't go down.”


 


“Alright Mirin. Do you believe we should tell Dan about this though?”


 


“Yes I believe that we should.”


 


Dan was nearly out of his seat at this point watching the fight. Part of him was quietly hoping for the fight to be over with soon and even more so for Lanora to go down and just give up. As he watched what was going on though he doubted that happening as Lanora only seemed to be becoming increasingly angry. Some motion right next to him got his attention and he turned to see Maria and Mirin. “Is Mina alright?”


 


In response Maria gave a nod. “We spoke to Fera and she's alright for the moment but there is a problem. It seems that while she's beating up Lanora she's also beating up herself. She's pushing her body way too hard for it to be healthy. It's nothing to worry about but she is going to need time after this to heal. Even if we were to stop the fight now she'd need time to heal.”


 


“I. I see. Please don't stop the fight now though.”


 


It was impossible for Mirin to keep his curiosity down as he turned to face Dan. “That's surprising I thought you'd want us to end it as quickly as possible. Though we didn't intend to based off what Fera told us.”


 


“Mina's surprisingly passionate about this. While I am worried about her physical safety I also have to consider her mental health as well. I know for Mina to be fighting like she is now she must have really needed this release. So I want her to release it. That said I believe it'd be a good ideal to figure out how she came to be this way. I'm going to have a long talk with her once this is over. Besides after this I don't know if we'll be able to get someone else to spar with her.”


 


“Actually, I don't believe that'd really be a problem.”


 


“Why do you say that?”


 


“Lanora may be a matron but well you know what Lanora's ability is don't you?”


 


“She heals remarkably fast. I've seen it during this fight alone by watching her injuries close up.”


 


“Indeed. Lanora isn't the most experienced matron whenever it comes to fighting though. After watching Mina fight I'm certain some of the others would like to wrestle with Mina. Perhaps even Fera.”


 


“Wasn't Fera restricted from fighting with Mina for fear that her nature would overcome her and she may end up trying to kill Mina?”


 


“That's correct but from the way this fight is going. I believe she could handle it. More importantly I don't believe I've been showing Fera the proper respect.”


 


While Maria had been listening quietly she couldn't help but giggle at Mirin's comment. “She set him strait just a few seconds ago. I have to admit that Fera kind of surprised me though. I guess everyone has an ideal where they believe she becomes some old of control monster whenever she starts hunting.”


 


To this Mirin gave a slight nod. “At one time that's what she became pretty much. However, she's gained enough control that between her mutation and her self control she was able to earn the rank of matron. I believe she deserves more respect then I've shown her for that. Anyway.” Mirin went silent for a moment as he began to direct energy into the barrier that was protecting the area. “Let's watch the fight it sounds like they're slowing down.”


 


As Mina leaped away from Lanora she felt exuberant. Every muscle, fiber and tendon in her body was alive and full of strength. She had an opponent in front of her and her every instinct was telling her to attack and while she'd been struck a few times so far those attacks had been successful. Thus utter surprise filled her as she broke away from Lanora for a moment to regain her footing and reposition for an attack. As her leg impacted with the ground the muscle was made to tremble and Mina was forced to catch herself as the limb gave.


 


Rapid healing tended to grant one increased stamina regain as well as help with quickly repairing the body. This was normally an advantage but there could also be trouble with it. Even when you healed quickly the materials still had to come from somewhere once that supply ran out you were in trouble. As Lanora found herself gasping for air she realized that's what was happening. After this she knew she'd be far more hungry then normal but for the moment she didn't feel that. Her mind was blocking out such feelings. The exhaustion was there though it was thus fortunate for her that Mina seemed to be tiring.


 


Mina took in several deep breathes as she placed her leg back on the ground. Such rapid movement was quite tiresome even for her. So that while part of her wanted to push for the attack instinctively she found herself watching Lanora very carefully and working to recover her stamina. The physical exertion was showing beyond that as she struggled to regain her strength. Her muscles had been exhausted and even her bones were showing the strain of such exertion over such a long period of time.


 


Was this a good time to attack? As Lanora looked at Mina she couldn't be certain. Her eye was still injured so she couldn't see out of it and the various cuts she'd taken were still proving a problem. She was exhausted and it would be hard to press the attack. There was also the matter of what had happened the last time she tried to charge Mina. As Lanora looked at Mina in her exhausted state though she opted to take the risk and began to rush towards her. As she neared Mina she watched carefully for any signs that she was about to move.


 


Instead of trying to dodge or meeting the attack Mina took in another breath while paying close attention to Lanora. She wanted to recover as much of her strength as she could. So that it was only whenever Lanora began to drive her fist down towards Mina that she responded. Instead of going above the blow though Mina quickly moved forward moving under the arm. As she moved though pain shot throughout her thighs. The punch landed just short of her but the impact still struck her knocking Mina through the air though not doing any additional harm.


 


A sharp gasp escaped Lanora as she drove her fist into the ground and she turned to see Mina. She wasn't very pleased to see that she'd evaded and had already taken up a new position. It was clear that she was exhausted by the fact that she didn't attack her right away but how long would that last? Despite her exhaustion Lanora felt her heart speed up for a moment when Mina suddenly began to move once again.


 


With Lanora staring at her Mina finally opted to move though hardly at full speed. Rather she began to move at a pace even her exhausted body could hold aiming to move herself into Lanora's blind spot. There was no real surprise whenever Lanora followed her movements but for the moment that wasn't Mina's concern. She was just circling Lanora looking for an opening that called out for her to attack.


 


Maria could hardly believe what she was seeing such that she reached out and took hold of Joseph's arm. “Joseph do you see that? Do you see what Mina is doing?”


 


“She's circling her. I guess trying to keep her distance.”


 


“No! She's looking for an opening she's treating Lanora like a wounded animal and she's looking for an opening to deliver a finishing strike.”


 


“You mean Lanora is in danger?”


 


“I don't believe so it's just that. A keeper is actually stocking a matron.”


 


While Joseph didn't understand all the cultural issues with this entirely he did appreciate what was going on. “I guess the natural order is being turned on its head.”


 


Before Maria could say something she heard the sound of the ground suddenly being forced to endure a force it wasn't ready for. She immediately lapsed into the same mind set she used while running at full speed and turned to watch Mina. It was amazing watching the fight in slow motion. Mina had apparently just pressed off the ground and was now charging towards Lanora. She was moving fast but there was still enough time for either of them to act though given the speed with which Mina was moving Maria doubted she could stop.


 


Seeing another chance to knock Mina aside Lanora held her ground and waited. She remembered what happened the last time she tried to strike Mina like this. Mina had evaded and she'd paid for it. This time she was going to wait until there was no chance of Mina dodging and let her have it. As she watched Mina rushing towards her Lanora didn't even realize she'd opened her hand and extended her claws.


 


Maria watched the ground beneath Mina's feet being torn away noting the sound of each foot step whenever it reached her moments after the action. She saw a particularly large chunk of ground disturbed and realized that Mina had leaped into the air. That's when Maria noted Lanora moving. She saw her tense at the shoulder and suddenly her right arm was thrust forward clearing intending to meet Mina's charge head on. In her condition Maria wonder how well Mina would take such a blow and lightly bit down on her lip and sunk the claws of her left hand into the stone she was seated upon.


 


There was no hesitation from Mina even as she saw Lanora moving. Both of her hands reached out and took hold of Lanora's much larger hand. She then gave herself a sudden pull using the force to alter her direction and actually bring herself up and over Lanora's hand. The action happened in only an instant and was the difference between Mina being struck and avoiding the blow. It was an attack she couldn't have performed in her regular mental state as she quickly extended both her hands claws at the ready and thrust them towards Lanora's throat.


 


Horror and flooded Lanora's mind as Mina evaded her hand. She then felt a horrific pain as Mina struck her throat and she knew there'd been enough force behind that attack to break the skin. Fear for what was about to happen was suddenly removed as she felt a sudden relief as the pressure on her neck was suddenly removed and she heard someone call out.


 


“Fera help me with Mina!”


 


Sora had been watching the fight very closely indeed. She'd actually been closer then either of the combatants had realized constantly ready to step in if needed. At last she'd felt the need as while she doubted Mina was about to deal a lethal blow to Lanora she knew that it would have done some serious harm. Fortunately she had the element of surprise when initially taking hold of Mina and thus was able to get a good hold of her smaller sister's arms. Soon her hands were joined by Fera's who took control of Mina's right arm and leg while Sora held onto the left.


 


A horrific roar escaped Mina as she found herself suddenly in the grip of two matrons. Still lost in the fight she didn't even realize what she was doing as she began to struggle franticly against Sora and Fera. In her current condition there was no way that she could bring her full strength out though.


 


It was with relief that Sora gave a sigh and looked towards Fera. “She's too weak right now I can handle her.”


 


While Fera and Sora where talking Minerva had walked over to Lanora and slipped a hand behind her back and knees. As she brought herself to a standing position she held Lanora in her arms who was clearly quite dazed. “I'm going to get our sister away from here so Mina can begin to calm down. I imagine Lanora needs to eat quite badly now as well.”


 


In response Fera gave a nod and released her hold on Mina so that Sora could retake hold of both arms though it left Mina's legs free. “Alright we'll speak with you later. Make sure you treat Lanora's wounds as well. Mina opened up quite a bit of her.”


 


As Minerva began carrying Lanora away Sora turned towards the crowd and began to walk towards them. With each step she noticed Mina's struggles becoming less intense and Sora was made to smile. “You did really well Mina you can relax now.”


 


While Sora was coming towards them Mirin didn't know what to think. Dan had joined him standing up front but it was Mirin who spoke first. “Sora what's going on?”


 


“I thought it was time to break up the fight before Mina did herself some serious harm and Lanora as well. She's pretty weak as is.”


 


“I see that but that isn't exactly what I was talking about. Why is Mina calming down only now?”


 


“Oh that! She's established her territory or at least believes that she has on an instinctive level.”


 


Now it was Dan's turn to speak. “What! What do you mean she's established her territory?”


 


“I'm pretty certain I've figured out what was going on. For some reason Mina has been feeling an instinctive need to establish a territory of her own and to do that she needed to put on an appropriate display. It's actually not all that unheard of though it is kind of rare. Generally a sister will release this stress in little outburst of antisocial behavior. However Mina's always so worried about hurting someone that she didn't recognize this and held herself back so it sort of built up.”


 


After a moment more of silence Dan gave a nod. “Alright but I haven't heard of that happening.”


 


“Well as I said it isn't unheard of.” As she came over to the brothers and sisters gathered Sora still kept her hold on Mina. “Dan if you don't mind help comfort her so she can get her thinking normally again. Anyway, such behavior isn't unheard of but it is rare especially from a sister like Mina. It's generally brought on whenever one of us feels like we've been invaded somehow and we need a means to reestablish our territory. However, even more likely to bring on such behavior is the feeling for the need for more territory and privacy that often comes with pregnancy.”


 


While Sora had been speaking Dan had approached Mina and wrapped his arms around her waste as best he could. He had leaned his head against her right thigh and was rubbing her back whenever Sora's words reached his ears and he gave a slight start. “What? You think Mina is pregnant?”


 


“It sure wouldn't surprise me. This sudden build up of tension despite her regular hunting habits and all the good news as of late.” Sora couldn't help but grin as she noted the stunned expression on Dan's face. She didn't forget Mina though and began to relax her hold and set her sister down.


 


Mina didn't make any motions to move at first but continued to stand there as Dan held her. Her head then started to turn towards Sora but stopped and turned back towards Dan. She then slowly reached down and gently took hold of his sides and lifted him up so that his arms wrapped around her neck. As she did so her breathing began to return to normal. For a moment she just stood there holding Dan when her right leg was made to tremble and she suddenly collapsed to one knee though she made no sound.


 


Dan was take by surprise whenever Mina suddenly fell. Instinctively he tightened his grip on her only to have the motion come to a sudden stop. Uncertain of what had happened he looked towards her leg. “You're really hurting now aren't you Mina?” This time Dan felt a great deal of relief as he got a response. Mina slowly nodded her head.


 


With Mina holding Dan Sora once again picked up Mina though this time she more cradled her. Being careful not to make her lose her grip on Dan as she stood up. “Alright I'm going to take the two of you home.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“So I'm guessing things like that don't happen often.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she gave her head a shake. “No. Sisters becoming pregnant is rare enough as is. However, for the most powerful keeper we have to get pregnant and develop a sudden need to defend her territory or claim a territory now that's a rare thing indeed. To see a matron beat down by a keeper though. I think I'll look into the records to see if that's ever happened before.”


 


“Would you really say that Mina won that one?”


 


“Hm. Ah well I don't know. It looked like she was going to get in a serious strike there at the end but she did kind of wreck her body fighting like that. I mean she collapsed while just standing there and holding Dan. If that fight had been allowed to continue she'd been in even worse shape and Lanora might have still been breathing. I doubt either of them would be in good condition though.”


 


“How about we go visit Dan and Mina later on and bring them something to eat? I bet Mina's going to be hungry after all of that.”


 


“No doubt. I wonder who is going to take over watching the claimed Mina was taking care of.”


 


“I believe that your guess in regards to that would be better then mine.”


 


“Well let's see. Ever since what happened a few months ago the number of claimed has been on the low side. So they probably could be divided up amongst a keeper without many claimed to take care of. However, there was also some keepers reassigned due to the openings and I don't believe they'll want to give up their current positions. It seems likely that they'll be divided amongst the keepers rather then given to a single one.”


 


“That sounds reasonable. What will happen to Mina though if she really is pregnant?”


 


“A sister with a child can't be a keeper of claimed that's just too much work. She'll probably be assigned to keep watch in the market or town and handle special task that require more power then a guardian can typically bring but won't keep her away from home for long.”


 


“Even if the child is a brother?”


 


“Yeah the changes to a keepers schedule aren't so much due to the child being a sister. Rather it's to give the parent plenty of time to spend with that child. Of course the odds are that it will be a sister so she'll need lots of direction attention.”


 


“Maria have any of you ever tried to figure out why you tend to give birth to sisters rather then brothers even with such a low birth rate?”


 


“We believe that it was a design feature to keep our numbers low. Perhaps we weren't even meant to give birth to brothers. After all a single sister takes a long time to get pregnant and once she is she can't get pregnant against for some time. However, a brother could sleep with several women and while the odds of conception still wouldn't be great a brother traveling around the outside world sleeping around as much as he could has the potential to have horrible consequences.”


 


“Yeah though wouldn't most of the human mothers die during child birth?”


 


“Yeah, even our bodies can have trouble giving birth if we're below guardian stature.”


 


“That's another thing that troubles me. What would happen if you found out that a sister who hadn't earned the right had become pregnant?”


 


“Mina's situation has you thinking of all sorts of things today doesn't it?”


 


“Well it's hard not to.”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “In that situation as rare as it is the sister would be allowed to grow to guardian size for the sake of the unborn child. It would be considered a blessing from the child and a wonderful chance as well as a reward for bringing a new life into our community.”


 


“I imagine that she'd be watched very carefully during this time.”


 


“Yeah she would have to be. As a sister that hadn't truly earned such status she'd have to prove to everyone she deserved it. There would be real trouble if it turned out that she didn't deserve it especially if she didn't care that she hadn't earned such status.”


 


“What would happen?”


 


“There is a chance that upon the child being born it would be taken away from her. She would then be forced to undergo the same sleep I did in order to regress her body size.”


 


“I see. Maria what would happen if a pregnant sister decided that she didn't care how big she grew? As she knew that as long as she was carrying a child within her none of you would do anything against her.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she gave a grin. “She'd be in for one hell of a surprise. We wouldn't force her to go to sleep as we wouldn't want to risk losing the child. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't restrain her though until the child was born and then starve her into a coma so that she reverted in size.”


 


“Ah so. I have a baby so you shouldn't cause me any undo stress wouldn't work?”


 


“It would put the child in some danger but we couldn't allow such a sister to do as she pleased. She could easily become a serious threat to the rest of the community after all.”


 


“Interesting. Maria exactly how do you enter into the coma you mentioned?”


 


“They're two basic ways to get into it. The first is starvation. As a final defense mechanism to avoid death our bodies enter into the state to keep us alive. The second method is something we really have to condition ourselves for and involves convincing your body to go to sleep. It's so difficult though to induce that often some degree of starvation is involved.”


 


“So what method was used on you?”


 


“I didn't resist whenever my sisters came for me and I tried to put myself into the relaxed mind needed to bring on the coma. However, I didn't do a very good job of it and I was extremely hungry by the time I finally managed to convince my body to shut down.”


 


“Are there any benefits to convincing your body?”


 


“Actually yes. In general the wake up is much easier if one puts yourself into the coma with a full belly. It also seems to sooth the mind so that we rest more easily.”


 


“Could you tell me anything else about it? Have there been any attempts to monitor your physiology while you're in the rested state?”


 


In response Maria gave her head a slight nod but it was a slow motion. “There have been but it didn't work out very well. During the sleep we're extremely vulnerable in many regards. A sudden burst of energy can easily awaken us cutting the sleep short and well we tend not to be in the best states of mind after being woken up.”


 


“I see. So a blood sample would be out of the question?”


 


“It'd be pretty risky to cause us harm in that state. As then we might wake up scared for our lives and starving at the same time. That's not a good thing especially if in that time we've developed some form of change. Magic can't really be used either as our bodies absorb such energies typically.”


 


“Typically yes but I believe you mentioned once that extremely well crafted magic isn't absorbed.”


 


“That's true. In order to gain such information though you'd have to be able to send energy into our bodies and then have it return after being affected by our bodies don't you?”


 


“Well the methods I know of do call for it but that doesn't mean all of them do.”


 


An amused giggle escaped Maria as she gave her head a nod. “That's true but we haven't found a method yet. So is this what you're thinking of doing for your next project? Finding a way to study us safely while we sleep?”


 


“I have to admit it has me curious. For a species to be able to go undergo such a transformation as what happened to you while you're asleep would be very valuable knowledge. I imagine it could be used to help you all a great deal.”


 


“You're probably right.” For a moment Maria said nothing but looked up towards the sky for a moment. “Joseph what you were able to create in the life bloom is amazing so I know not to underestimate your abilities but I will say that's quite a project you have in mind.”


 


“I suppose that it may be but I believe I can do it. Of course, I wouldn't mind hearing if you have any ideals of your own. What problem would you like me to try and solve?”


 


“Mm I'll have to give that some thought.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Ouch.” A sigh escaped Mina as she looked up towards the roof of her home and then turned her head towards Dan who was walking towards her with a sack. “I don't believe I should be trying to move much.”


 


“That's what Sora suggested.” As he spoke Dan placed the elongated satchel against Mina's neck and began to tuck it around and behind her neck. As he did so his hands were revealed to be covered by some rather thick gloves. “You know I wouldn't be using this on a human no matter how sore they felt.”


 


It was impossible for Mina not to grin as she made a move to place her hand against Dan's side. A sudden pain in her shoulder stopped her cold and she allowed her arm to settle back down. “It's not that cold.”


 


“Holding onto one of these could easily cause a human serious tissue damage in a very short period of time. Are you sure you're going to be alright?”


 


“Yeah they really don't feel cold to me but I can tell they're cool.” A sigh escaped Mina as she turned her head to look at Dan. For a moment she said nothing but her face turned into a wide smile despite her pain. “So have you been thinking of a name?”


 


“I might have a few ideals but nothing really concrete. I was so shocked whenever Sora told us what she believed was going on I didn't know what to say.” Before continuing Dan turned and headed back into the kitchen to get another satchel of chilled water. “After so much trying you'd think we'd settled on a name by now.”


 


“I suppose so. I just didn't expect to become pregnant so soon.”


 


“What about you? Have you any ideals?”


 


“I'm not really certain myself.”


 


“Hm you know.” Before continuing Dan walked back into the living room packing another satchel. This one intended for Mina's upper shoulder and back. “If it's a sister how about Dremera?”


 


For a moment Mina said nothing as she looked at Dan upon hearing her mother's name. Once he drew close enough she extended her arm and gently brushed her hand against Dan's face despite the pain. “I would like that.”


 


“Alright then. Now we just need a name encase we have a son.”


 


“Well how about Nathan?”


 


“Returning a favor are we?”


 


“Well while your parents probably aren't dead you haven't seen them in a long time. It seems appropriate though.”


 


“Okay then.”


 


A sigh escaped Mina as she raised up to allow Dan to slip the container underneath her. As she settled down she was careful to move slowly to avoid popping it. “Dan would you like to go visit your parents again?”


 


“Not if it meant leaving you.”


 


A slight purr escaped Mina despite her pain upon hearing this and she looked to Dan. “How about with me?”


 


“What has you talking like this all of a sudden Mina?”


 


“Well I've been thinking about the life bloom. While most are focused on what it would do to relieve our hunger there is also the fact that it would boost our ability to protect our forest. Given that I believe I could risk a journey to go and meet your family. If you would be willing to introduce me to them.”


 


At first Dan said nothing but considered Mina's words. “I've been dead to the outside world for so long I don't know what I would do. It would be nice to see them again though I can only imagine how they'd respond when they meet you especially once you grow even larger. The first order of business might be getting them to a location where they can't run away but won't hurt themselves either.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina though it was quickly brought to a stop as her side began hurting her. “Ow. Ouch. You really think they'd be that shocked at seeing me?”


 


“It wouldn't surprise me.”


 


“Knock knock.” Instead of actually knocking on the door Flora pushed it open and stuck her head inside. “How are you two doing?”


 


Mina made herself smile despite her pain as she looked at Flora. “Flora it's good to see you. Are you here to see how I'm doing?”


 


“Yeah I would have been by sooner but I had a few things to take care of before I left the combat grounds.”


 


“Oh? What was that?”


 


“I took some time to speak with our sisters about the possibility of you being pregnant and what we might need to do if that turned out to be the case. We already lined up a few keepers to take care of your claimed and saw to some other things.”


 


“Thanks.”


 


Before continuing Flora walked across the room so that she was standing over Mina. She then pointed down towards her stomach. “Do you mind?”


 


“Not at all. I'm eager to know for certain myself.”


 


In response Flora gave a nod and placed her hand against Mina's stomach. “Mina have you noticed any changes in how much you want to eat as of late? Normally one of the best indicators of pregnancy is a change in our desire to eat after all.”


 


“No. I wish I had or I might have figured out what was going on myself. Flora do you know how Lanora is doing?”


 


“Last I saw of her she was doing fine. She's probably eating right now and trying to replenish what she lost during the fight. Now sense you're a keeper it seems unlikely that your eating habits would change as much as a guardians due to your greater mass. However, for there to be no noticeable change that's pretty strange. I wonder if it could be due to the life bloom though.”


 


While Flora had been speaking with Mina Dan had left the room and retrieved another cooling satchel for Mina. Now he chose to speak up. “That's possible after all just one fruit a day was enough to cause Maria to grow to guardian stature when combined with her regular eating habits.”


 


“Yeah.” For a moment Flora went silent and lifted her hand from Mina's stomach. “Given the amount of space in there and what's covering it I just can't feel anything. Taking Mina off the life bloom at this point isn't acceptable as if there is a child in there we don't want to risk injuring it.” After a moment Flora went silent and lowered her head to rest upon Mina's stomach.


 


“Dan couldn't you figure out exactly how much energy the life bloom I've been eating has given me? If it has given me enough that it should have triggered some growth along with my regular eating habits it'd offer some solid proof I'm pregnant.”


 


“I could give it a try Mina.” As he spoke Dan took a moment to place one of the cooling packs around Mina's massive right thigh. “Mina we have one more back in their for your leg but that's it. Are you sure you don't feel cold?”


 


“Yeah they feel nice actually.”


 


“It's amazing how much of a temperature change is needed to affect you girls. Flora do you believe you could do me a favor?”


 


“What is it Dan?”


 


“While preparing that pack I noticed we were low on frost powder. Would you be willing to bring some by later?”


 


“I'd be happy to.” A sigh escaped Flora as she set up. “Mina I wish I could tell you something but if there is a baby in there the baby is quite well protected. I can't be certain of anything at this point.”


 


“I guess we'll have to wait and look for other changes. It's a shame none of our sisters have a refined enough sense of hearing to be of help.”


 


“Well there was one.”


 


“Yeah but she died even before our time. My mother was only a child when she was around.”


 


“That's true perhaps we could have Fera take another look at you. After all during the fight you were pushing yourself to your limit and putting out a lot of energy. Now that you're fairly exhausted though perhaps she could see through it and tell you if there is a child inside of there.”


 


“That sounds like a good ideal.”


 


“Alright then I'll go get her assuming she isn't busy. I'll also pick up some of that frost powder for you and is there anything else I should bring back?”


 


Before Flora could leave Mina spoke up. “Some extra food would be nice.”


 


“Alright then.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“So how are you feeling?”


 


Lanora couldn't see who was talking which told her immediately who was there. “I'm pretty sore still but feeling better now that I've eaten.”


 


“That's good to know but you haven't touched your water.” As she spoke Sora picked up the container of water that was setting next to Lanora and placed her hand against her back. She didn't comment as Lanora opened her mouth and she emptied some of the liquid into it. “I suppose it was a good thing that you were the one that went up against Mina. I know a few other matrons that would have been recovering for quite some time.”


 


“I suppose. How is Mina doing now?”


 


“I took her home she's recovering.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Lanora and she gave a sigh. “I can't believe this.”


 


“Can't believe what?”


 


“That I'm the first matron to ever be beaten by a keeper. Do you have any ideal how humiliating this is?”


 


“Beaten? Where do you get the ideal that you were beaten?”


 


“Come on Sora. I was down and she was going for my throat.”


 


“Mina didn't have the strength left in her to destroy anything vital or I would have stepped in sooner. Surely you don't believe I'd let your life be in real danger sister?”


 


Instead of commenting right away Lanora looked down at her food. “Then it was a draw.”


 


“No. The reason I stepped in is if Mina would have continued pushing herself like that you may have been severally injured such that it'd taken a very long time to heal. However, Mina may very well have died if I had allowed her to continue. Though it isn't being spoken of those who have talked of it agree that you won in the end.”


 


“Then what are they talking about?”


 


“How amazing of a fight it was and how inspiring it was to see two sisters with such power.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Lanora as she listened to Sora. “Are you certain that you heard right? I'm surprised they're not talking about the sister that nearly defeated a matron.”


 


“Well there has been talk along those lines as well but of course there would be. While it was often believed that if Mina were to develop another mutation she could easily defeat even a matron for it to be revealed that she can challenge one even now as a keeper. It is quite remarkable. It's actually gotten several of the other matrons excited. I can't help but believe that once Mina recovers and has given birth she's going to be getting quite a few challengers.”


 


“Sora why are you doing this?”


 


“Doing what?”


 


“Being nice to me all of a sudden. You were one of the ones that wanted me to fight Mina in the first place.”


 


“Was I being mean to you somehow then?”


 


“You all seemed to be ganging up on me.”


 


“I suppose that we might have. However, you were the one that brought it upon yourself with your statement. I don't believe we were being mean to you though.”


 


“So you were saying you didn't want this to happen?”


 


“Of course not! I had no ideal that you would end up this badly injured and you should know that. Lanora tell me what do you have against Mina though?”


 


For a moment Lanora said nothing but as Sora made herself visible she felt she had no choice. “I suppose I don't really have anything against her.”


 


“Then what is the problem?”


 


“Sora after I awoke from being punished and found out I had this new ability I was so excited. I was ashamed of what I had done and that I had to be put to sleep in the first place but my healing ability made me feel as if it had been worth it somehow. Then I learned that there was a position for a new matron one of them having passed on while I was asleep. At the same time though I learned that there was a sister who had gone to sleep voluntarily. The chance to become a matron doesn't come along often but as the only truly viable candidate I felt as if I'd been given a wonderful opportunity. At the same time though it put me into competition with Mina.”


 


“You knew you had to prove yourself and earn the matron position before Mina woke up. As sense Mina was a keeper before she went to sleep and did it voluntarily if she awoke with a mutation she'd have it for certain.”


 


“Yeah. I wasn't too worried though after all what were the odds of her waking up with a mutation? They're quite rare after all. Still, I worked at it and I earned the matron position a few months before Mina awoke despite some believing we should wait and see what came of Mina's experiment. It was fortunate for me that some felt leaving a matron position open while we had a viable candidate was too risky. As when Mina awoke it was incredibly obvious that she had gained a remarkable mutation.”


 


“I would have thought you were relieved?”


 


“Relieved? Sora how would you feel knowing that you'd been chosen for a position only because you got to the door a little sooner then someone else? That everyone around you thought you were the second best and just lucky to be in line first?”


 


“Lanora I've never heard our sisters talking like that about you. You earned the matron position while it was open that's all there is to it.”


 


“I know they haven't said anything like that or I haven't heard them either. You know it's what they're thinking though. Don't you remember the talks once it was realized how strong Mina was? They were those who wanted to have one of the current matrons step down or allow a special exception for Mina. It was fortunate for me that Mina didn't really push the issue as we all knew which matron would be asked to step down.”


 


“Lanora what makes you so certain it would have been you? You might be the youngest matron but you're not the weakest.”


 


“I well. It just seemed like I would be the likely person to be asked.”


 


“Given that you'd only recently earned the status and woken up? I doubt that but go on.”


 


“I guess perhaps the fear wasn't founded upon anything solid but it was still there. I was so relieved whenever Mina said that she wouldn't accept such a position as she wouldn't take from her sisters what they'd gained. Of course then she started talking about going to sleep again once she'd grown back to keeper status.”


 


“Yeah that surprised us all I guess it must have horrified you.”


 


“Yeah it did. I couldn't help but think what would happen if she went to sleep again and developed another mutation. If it was anything like her first one she'd be even more powerful then a matron and the pressure to allow her to become a matron would be all the greater. Then Dan came along though and she suddenly found a reason to stay awake. You know in some ways I viewed Dan as my savior?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Sora despite the situation. “I see. I never realized you had so many things to worry about but surely you realize that they were unfounded. Even if you were the one asked to step down you could always refuse.”


 


“Yeah and how would that make me look? Selfishly holding onto my position while someone more qualified is standing right there.”


 


“No worse then the wrest of us. Lanora you're not alone in this. I'm certain many of our fellow matrons felt that they should step down and allow Mina to take up their position. However, we all know what it's like to go to sleep and well we all know how long it would take to return to keeper stature from our current sizes. So of course none of us want to be the one to speak up and step down. You seem to be the one beating herself up over it the most though.”


 


At first Lanora said nothing but considered what Sora had said. “So you don't believe I”m the weakest matron amongst us?”


 


“No. I don't. Though before you ask. I won't tell you which matron I considered our weakest and I don't believe that she should have been the one asked to step down just because her mutation isn't quite as powerful as the rest of ours.”


 


“Then what criteria would you use?”


 


“Honestly I could never ask any of my fellow matrons to step down just to allow another sister to step up. After all it's not really something I believe I'd be willing to do myself.”


 


“Then what if Mirin asked you for a recommendation because they were going to ask a sister to do so?”


 


“I would have to denounce their decision and appeal to our sisters. It isn't even a fair question to ask one of us.”


 


As Sora finished a slight giggle escaped Lanora as she looked at her. “Well I guess I wasn't as alone in this as I thought I was. As the youngest though I've often felt like the most replaceable.”


 


“Don't be silly.”


 


A sigh escaped Lanora as she took a moment to snack on a small bit of venison. “You said that some of our other sisters were wanting to spar with Mina. Do you have any ideal what that's about?”


 


“I believe they just want to test themselves. It was quite a spectacular show after all.”


 


“How about you? Do you want to see if you can match up against Mina?”


 


“No thanks. I'd either end up staying hidden the entire time and beating on her while her guard was down or she'd get hold of me early on and do some serious damage.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Well can you see anything?”


 


“Mmm.” Fera was careful as she held Mina in her hand slightly tilting her sister from one side and then to the next looking for any sign of life energy within her. For the moment though that effort was proving futile though. “The problem is that you're not just exhausted you're also injured. Your life energy is actually quite active right now and due to its strength I can't really gather much information. Unless you want to know what's hurting the most.”


 


“I believe I can gather that on my own from how I'm feeling.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Fera as she reached back into Mina and Dan's home to set her sister down. “Yes I suppose that you can. Are the ice packs helping anything?”


 


“Yeah they're offering some relief. It's kind of funny Dan keeps feeling of my forehead to make sure that he doesn't accidentally freeze me.”


 


“Ah that's sweet. Where is Dan though? From the way Flora was talking I expected to see both of them here.”


 


“Flora took Dan out to gather some supplies. Since I won't be able to go hunting for a day or two longer he's going to have to handle all the cooking.”


 


“Make sure he knows that this isn't the time to develop your tolerance to spice.”


 


“Ah Dan likes the spicy food but I think he knows right now wouldn't be a good time.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Fera as she settled down against Mina and Dan's home letting the structure take some of her weight as she leaned against it. “Mina I don't believe you have anything to worry about. They're a lot of signs indicating that you're pregnant after all and after you and Dan spent so much time trying it shouldn't be surprising.”


 


“I hope so. I just wish that I didn't have to take out my instincts on one of our sisters. I asked Flora about it earlier but Fera could you tell me how Lanora is doing?”


 


“She'll be healed up by tomorrow unlike you.”


 


“That's good to know. I would go to thank her myself but I believe that I will need a few more days before I'm ready to do that. Hm oh Fera could you tell me what parts of me are the most injured?”


 


“Your legs especially the muscles right in here.” As she spoke Fera reached into Mina's home and ran her finger against Mina's thighs.


 


“So would you suggest focusing mostly on them?”


 


“If you mean keeping an ice pack around them then yeah. Though to be honest if it was me I'd just dip you in a bath tub and sprinkle some frost powder inside of it if you want to keep the swelling down.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina though it quickly came to an end as her side began to hurt her. “Ouchies. Dan was actually talking about getting me some pain killers earlier. Something that could perhaps be injected directly into the blood stream.”


 


“I guess the two of you decided against it.”


 


“Yeah. While it'd be nice to take the edge of my pain off if I'm carrying a son inside of me there is no way I can allow for such things. As while one of our sisters could handle such things easily a son might be killed by something powerful enough to ease my pain.”


 


“Do you believe that was a design feature?”


 


“Hm I don't believe our creators meant for us to be unable to use sedatives. Rather I believe it was a side affect to making us so resistant to harm.”


 


“I'd tend to agree with you. Still, it seems like they'd have some means of easing our pain. Perhaps something that we haven't found yet.”


 


“Actually I believe they did from some of the older documents we were able to get our hands on. Remember some of the old battle reports that mentioned past sisters being harmed?”


 


“Oh yeah they did mention things along the lines of making injured sisters comfortable. I always assumed though that means they were sheltered inside of the forest, given a comfortable bed, food and drink to help aid in their recovery. I suppose there could have been more to it. What do you think they'd use though?”


 


“I'm not really certain. Perhaps some kind of food? After all despite our endurance spicy food is still spicy to us and can even be painful.”


 


“Who are you kidding? There is no can be painful especially when it comes to you.”


 


While she didn't risk laughing Mina couldn't help but grin as she looked at Fera. “Okay you have me there I'm a big wimp whenever it comes to spicy food. They send me running for the nearest source of water to relieve the pain.”


 


“Hm a food that causes our pain to diminish. Well I know of a few food groups that I consider comforting but I haven't found one that takes away pain yet.”


 


“Neither have I though I sure wish I had.”


 


“So Mina have you and Dan talked about any names?”


 


“We've come up with two a boy and a girl's name.”


 


“Oh? Would you mind telling me what they are?”


 


“If it's a girl Dan wants to name her Dremera.”


 


“Ah! That's so sweet of him.”


 


In response Mina gave a nod and placed her hand against her stomach. “I was thinking we'd name the baby after Dan's father if it was a male.”


 


To this Fera gave a quick nod. “That seems fair. So are you hoping for anything in particular?”


 


“A healthy baby.”


 


“So no gender preferences?”


 


“Nope. Well perhaps just a little. Whenever I think about a son I actually get a little scared. I don't believe I could ever forgive myself if I injured my own child.”


 


“Like you need to worry about that. Mina you're far to gentle to harm your own child.”


 


In response to Fera's comment Mina glanced towards the wall. “I was so fidgety this morning before my fight with Fera my tail slipped a few times. You might not have noticed them but several parts of the walls have chunks of them torn out from where my tail smacked them.”


 


“So? That's just a wall.”


 


“What if I have a son and he'd been crawling behind me whenever that happened?”


 


“In that case your tail wouldn't have been flicking about in the first place.”


 


“I hope you're right.”


 


“So what if your baby takes after the father whenever it comes to food?”


 


Mina felt her lips lock up for a moment as she placed her hands on her stomach and looked down towards it. She had managed to adjust to a little spice so far but no where near what Dan enjoyed on his food. Fortunately he enjoyed none spiced food as well and was quite reasonable about it. A child on the other hand wouldn't be so reasonable though. “You wouldn't do that to your mommy would you little one?”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“You wanted to speak with me Carter?” As he spoke Mirin took a seat a short distance from Carter who was currently sipping on some form of juice.


 


“Hey Mirin yeah. Mirin do you remember the incidents with the kobolds we had a few months back?”


 


“With them attacking the dryad?”


 


“That's the one.”


 


“Yes we sent Fera to deal with their numbers but they become active again quite quickly. With all the good news though most of our sisters have forgotten this.”


 


“Yeah so I noticed and I don't want to be the one to remind them but that's still something we need to deal with. I've been looking into it myself a bit along with a few of the keepers and our other brothers but I've began to think we all need to take a more serious look at the problem.”


 


“I would agree with you. Just the fact that they resumed activity so quickly is cause for concern but preparing to grow the life bloom is holding many of our sisters' attention.”


 


“Yeah well during Lanora and Mina's little match I took the time to examine the area a bit. I figured the stress they were putting on the region would have some sort of an affect on whatever was going on there.”


 


“Did you find anything?”


 


“I believe that I might have. The life energy in that region is actually fairly weak. Which isn't surprising after a visit from Fera. However, the magical energy is roughly the same. I've also been getting some worrisome reports.”


 


“You mean from Kersara?”


 


“Yeah the activity of the aquatic kobolds has increased and unlike the ones in the forest we really can't measure their numbers. It isn't just that though. I heard one of the students Stella's son Allen talking about some time he spent with Pera. Apparently their recent efforts in the forest have been frustrated due to Pera's picky nature and the environment.”


 


“How so?”


 


“Well apparently despite Pera's efforts she's been having trouble finding truly fresh fruit that hasn't been attacked by insects. She also has stated that certain trees seem to be becoming sickly.”


 


“Well that's not comforting news.”


 


“Well that's not comforting news. You believe that this is related to the kobolds though?”


 


“Indeed I do. It wouldn't be the first time that something unpleasant took up residence in their din.”


 


“I wonder. Perhaps they were trying to drive the dryad off or kill her to keep her from noticing something. I believe that I'll ask a sister or two to accompany me and go speak with her.”


 


“I was thinking we'd consult the druids or orcs as well. Perhaps they've noticed something.”


 


“They've provided some information in the past so it could be worth while. What do you propose to do if we can't find any further information?”


 


“If we can't find anything more comprehensive then I'd like to have a few sisters go investigate the kobolds in greater detail. This time though I believe that we need to dig deep and investigate their lairs as well.”


 


“Now that's an unpleasant ideal.”


 


“Yeah I know. I was thinking that we'd have some of the guardians check them out though and provide them with masks similar to what they've been wearing in the tannery these days.”


 


“That would probably help but perhaps we should take a more noticeable hand in these matters as well. Instead of sending our sisters down into those tunnels why don't we just gather some of our mages and collapse the tunnels?”


 


“It would spare our sisters something unpleasant but I'm not certain it would be enough to get at whatever is causing this problem.”


 


“Do you have any theories as to what it may be?”


 


In response Carter gave a quick nod. “I'm thinking that we're dealing with something that feeds on life energy if what Allen was talking about proves to be true. Kobolds spread waste and destruction anyway so it's easy for them to attract such beings. Perhaps one of the kobold shamans reached a higher level of awareness then we'd like and magical power. That or perhaps a necromancer has taken up residence with them.”


 


A groan escaped Mirin as he heard the second option. “I hope that isn't the case.”


 


“Yeah the last time was problematic.”


 


“Well whatever we do this time I'd like to try something different. Normally we try to exterminate everything in the kobold nesting area in hopes of killing off the problem. How about we trying bringing something new into it this time though?”


 


“What do you have in mind?”


 


“I was thinking we'd plant some flowers this time.”


 


“That could work I assume you're talking about the ever rest.”


 


“Indeed. Though I'm not certain the kobolds would be dumb enough to allow such a dangerous flower to grow in their midst and planting mature plants could be an issue.”


 


“Well it's a nice thought regardless. Perhaps we could develop some treatment that would allow the flower to grow and bloom quickly. We'd have to be careful that it didn't grow beyond the boundaries of the kobolds nesting ground though or to transplant some species that can handle the ever rest.”


 


“What do you want to do immediately though?”


 


“Kersara needs help that's an obvious issue that we need to deal with immediately. I believe we should have some brothers go to the beach to set up beacons that will alert her to the movement of sea life. We also need to dedicate some additional sisters to keeping the beach safe.”


 


“Where do you plan to get those sisters?”


 


“We'll just have to diminish the number of sisters we have patrolling the forest. That's really our only choice in this matter.”


 


“I'm not certain if I'd feel comfortable doing that during a time of war.”


 


“Do we have any other choice?”


 


A sigh escaped Carter as he gave his head a slight shake. “I suppose that we don't. Well actually there is one thing that I can think of.”


 


“What is that?”


 


“How about we make mention of our sea front troubles to the orcs and druids of the forest? They could help bolster the defenses on the beach front while not pulling sisters away from the forest itself.”


 


It was impossible for Mirin to keep from frowning at this suggestion. “Well it's true that they'd probably be willing to aid us. However, I don't like reaching outside of the community for help like that.”


 


“Well if you don't want to do that we could always create some sentries of our own. You mentioned setting up some crystals to keep watch on the beach by why stop there whenever we do have other choices?”


 


“Okay now that ideal I like a lot better. What exactly do you have in mind though?”


 


“I believe we should commune with the dryads and spirits of the forest as I'm certain they'd have a vested interest in protecting their home. If we give them a means of more readily doing so say a golem's body for example I'm certain they'd be willing to help us.”


 


“No bird spirits.”


 


For a moment Carter said nothing but then a chuckle escaped him. “I still believe it'd be easier to make use of the orcs though. After all mutual protection of the forest is one of the reasons we allowed them to continue living here in the first place. In the past they've been quite willing to help us as well.”


 


A sigh escaped Mirin as he shook his head. “I just don't want them to think that we actually need them so that they start making demands.”


 


“Come on Mirin. They're the reserve troops for when we need them. The life bloom isn't ready yet so we can't let our sisters grow larger to increase their power but we can call in the reserves.”


 


“Fine. Fine. I'll be on your side whenever we talk about it to our brothers and sisters.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


 


Maria had a wide grin on her face as she walked along side Joseph. Every now and them she'd brush her tail against his back causing him to speed up though other then the increase in speed he made no sign of noticing. “You've improved a lot Joseph.”


 


“Improved?”


 


“Physically you're a lot fitter then when you came to us.”


 


“Ah well it was unavoidable with you making me exercise every morning.”


 


“True. I just want you to know I'm proud of what you've achieved though.”


 


“Well I'm grateful for all the help you gave me in achieving it.”


 


“Even the poking you in the backside?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he gave his head a nod. “Yes even the pokes in the backside though I'd prefer if you didn't do that.”


 


“Don't worry I won't so long as it isn't necessary to motivate you.”


 


“Mmhmm. So do you think Mina will like her surprise?”


 


“Of course! I swear the one thing she likes as much as she hates spicy food is sweet food.”


 


“So I'm guessing honey is one of her favorite treats.”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yep.”


 


Before Joseph could respond he heard a door opening and looked towards Dan and Mina's home. “Hey Dan how are things going?”


 


“Just fine though I hope you weren't planning on surprising Mina talking like that.”


 


A grin formed on Maria's face as she gave a shrug. “Perhaps we don't have any honey for her. Perhaps I was talking about it just to throw her off and we're actually got a big jar of spices for her to eat.”


 


“She says she's had a bit over twenty four hours to rest and will stuff your tail down your own throat if you're teasing her and step past the doorway.”


 


“As if she should ever catch up to me.”


 


Dan didn't need to speak for her as Mina called out this time. “You have to sleep some time.”


 


Once again Maria was made to giggle as she stepped up to the doorway and Dan stepped aside for her and Joseph to enter. “Hey Mina you sound like you're doing better um you don't look it though.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina as she looked at Maria. “It still hurts to move especially quickly. Dan's been keeping me on ice though so the swelling hasn't been as bad as it could be. My right leg has really began hurting me though.”


 


While Maria and Mina spoke Joseph came up to Dan. “So how are you doing?”


 


“I'm doing alright. I'm happy that Mina is fine after a fight like that and it has been nice spending extra time with her.”


 


“I imagine so. Oh yeah congratulations Dan. I know it might be a bit early to say that but I bet you're excited about the prospect of having a kid.”


 


“You better believe it. I'm going to have to go and retrieve a few things once Mina is feeling better though. Brothers and sisters require different types of care and you really have to be prepared for a sister.”


 


“I imagine so. Though I've been wanting to ask. When do you start restricting how much a sister gets to eat?”


 


“That begins after the first few months after birth. While they're little and growing quickly they get to eat pretty much whenever they want as their bodies are growing and strengthening so they need the food. I think it's the only age whenever a sister gets to eat as often as she is hungry.”


 


Before continuing with her talk with Mina Maria glanced back at Joseph and Dan. “Which means pretty much every waking moment.”


 


To this Joseph gave a slight nod. “I see. So exactly what do they start off eating? I mean do they come out with teeth already?”


 


“Kind of. New born sisters get their teeth in fairly quickly which is probably why it's a good thing our sisters are so durable. Their teeth tend to come in within the first twenty four to thirty six hours while claws take roughly a week. Breast feeding is the norm though for young sisters though.”


 


“Here you go Mina. “As she spoke Maria set down a small jar of honey for her friend. She then retrieved a few apples and set them down on some cloth. She then picked up one of the apples and began to dice it up with her claws.


 


Mina was slow in moving her arm and picking up the apple slice before dipping it into the honey. Her body still hurt her a fair bit especially if she tried to move quickly but things were better then yesterday. “So Maria have you and Joseph been getting along?”


 


“Yeah though I wish that he would quit leaving food out and fussing whenever I finish it off.”


 


“He does that to? I had the same problem with Dan whenever we first got together. Have the two of you talked about it yet?”


 


“Yeah and he's quit mentioning it though I can tell it still bothers him from his heart rate and body language.”


 


“That's because I'm not leaving out food she's eating my reagents while I step away!”


 


A slight giggle escaped Mina and she called out to Joseph. “That's what Dan told me as well. It sure smelt and looked like food to me though.”


 


A sigh escaped Joseph as he looked towards Dan. “So how did you get her to stop doing that?”


 


“Well first of all never leave any actual food out. I'm pretty sure they both know better and are just using it as an excuse to annoy us but apparently if we leave food out at times and reagents at others they can't tell the difference and they don't want to be wasteful.”


 


“That makes sense but what do you mean by leave food out?”


 


“Effectively if you're eating on something don't step away from it for more then five minutes. If you're going to step away for five minutes store it away somewhere or dispose of it.”


 


“I'll have to give it a try.”


 


“Well it worked for Mina but I don't know Maria might decide to be even more difficult.”


 


“Would you like something to drink or snack on Joseph?”


 


“I wouldn't mind something to drink but I don't like eating in front of Maria. It makes me feel guilty knowing that she can't eat yet.”


 


To this Dan gave a quick nod. “Yeah I feel the same way actually.”


 


While Dan and Joseph had been speaking Maria had placed her head against Mina's stomach. After a moment though she pulled it away. “I can't hear anything but I suppose no one has been able to yet. Still, have you decided on what kind of crib you're going to make?”


 


“I was actually planning to go rather traditional and go search for some nice river stone to work with encase I give birth to a new sister. While I was going to examine the trees for brother's crib.”


 


“Make sure it's a good one. Mom says she had a heck of a time tracking me down once whenever I clawed through my crib as a newborn.”


 


“Oh it wasn't her. I remember looking for you as well.”


 


“Yeah she mentioned that though I wonder. I didn't really leave the main village did I?”


 


“Yes. Yes you most assuredly did and how I don't know. Your mother was positively furious though that no one saw a young sister leaving and did nothing about it.”


 


“Dang I must have really been moving even back then.”


 


“You've always been built for speed Maria I think your mutation just made that all the more obvious.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she glanced towards the kitchen. “How is Dan doing?”


 


“He's acting composed but I hear him when he leaves the room. Last night I could have sworn he started dancing once while in out bedroom.”


 


An amused giggle escaped Maria as she gave a nod. “So he's ready to be a father then.”


 


“He believes that he is but I don't know if he realizes that all comes with raising one of our sisters.”


 


“If it is a sister you mean.”


 


“Yes.”


 


“Well I'm sure he'll love every minute of it no matter what.”


 


“Yeah I believe so to.”


 


Dan and Joseph had gone quiet upon entering the kitchen though Dan retrieved a drink for both of them. After a short while of silence though Joseph spoke up once again. “So Dan what are your plans now that you're going to be a father?”


 


“Well I'm glad that our work together with the life bloom didn't last long. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the experience but I believe I'll want more free time to spend with my child.”


 


“So are you just going to be making potions then?”


 


“No and I don't want to go back to running the store now that I'm no longer working there. I was thinking I would go back to looking into ways to nourish the forest.”


 


“You never mentioned that before what were you doing?”


 


“Well effectively we were developing ways to transfer energy from the mystic plain into the surrounding environment to nourish the land without poisoning it.”


 


“How did it work out?”


 


“We met with some small success. We found that we could actually nourish a small portion of soil safely so that plant life would find it more suitable to grow in. There were problems though whenever we begin to push the amount of energy we were putting into the soil.”


 


“What happened?”


 


“The process itself worked fine but the conversion mechanism could only work so quickly. Eventually it became saturated and some raw mystic energy began to slip into the soil as well into the surrounding environment. So that in the end the process was deemed to not be viable as the damage to the environment began to out weigh the benefit if we were going to manage a reasonable area.”


 


“I see. So you're thinking about resuming your work on that?”


 


“Yeah. If I can find a better way to alter the energy it should work and after seeing what you did with the life bloom I'm hopeful that it can be done. After all the life bloom is dealing with many of the same issues we dealt with. What about you?”


 


“I was thinking of trying to develop a method to study the sisters while they're sleeping in hopes of gaining some understanding of how their mutations occur.”


 


For a moment Dan said nothing but glanced back towards the main room where Mina and Maria were. “That could be quite a worth while path of research I must say.”


 


“The same could be said about yours and honestly it sounds a lot more viable then what I have in mind.”


 


“Oh I don't know about that.”


 


“Well it sure sounds more viable to me perhaps I should put such ideals on hold and see if I can help you with your project.”


 


“The aid would be appreciated but I don't know. You did something remarkable with the life bloom so you might be able to pull it off.”


 


“I don't know. Dan are there any projects that could use more personnel?”


 


“Naturally. We don't want to fall behind the wrest of the world in magic or alchemy so there is always some kind of research going on. Our numbers are rather limited as well so we could always use more people. Could you really be happy signing on for someone's project though?”


 


“We all have to in the beginning and as long as the project is worth while I'm glad to help out. Any ideal of what's currently in the works?”


 


“One project that's been in the works for a while and has actually made some nice progress in an attempt to tap into the spiritual aspect of the forest itself in order to monitor what is going on. Sort of an attempt to develop a scrying mechanism that uses the plants of the forest to see everything that's going on inside of it.”


 


“I can see where that would be quite useful.”


 


“Yeah you know what the most annoying part of this all is though?”


 


“What?”


 


“There's such a device in the citadel. We know where it is and everything but we can't get to it. Mirin has actually been two doors away from it if the layout of the citadel is the same as the documents we found imply.”


 


“Well that figures. I guess such a piece of monitoring equipment would be quite valuable.”


 


“Yeah I've no doubt about that.”


 


“Hey what are you two doing in there?” As Maria called out she already knew the answer having been able to hear every word. However both she and Mina wanted their mates back in the room with them.


 


“Just chatting about some things Maria. Joseph and I'll be back in just a second.”


 


“Bring us some juice.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“I'm glad that you could all meet with us today as this matter concerns the safety of the forest and thus all our safety. Recently we have noticed increased activity in the kobold nesting grounds and while we've taken efforts to diminish their numbers the level of activity hasn't gone down appropriately. We've also noticed increased activity from the sea such that the sisters we have stationed there have become stressed. Finally there may be some sort of decay moving throughout the forest and though its presence hasn't grown strong enough for us to be certain early indicators has caused us to be alarmed.


 


For these reasons we come to you today asking for assistance in insuring our mutual existence within this forest in helping to deal with the threat from the sea. We would also appreciate any knowledge you might have on this matter.”


 


Dokor set quietly as he listened to Samuel after a few moments of silence the orc spoke up. “Hey there is no need to be formal about all of this right? We may not all be brothers or sisters here but we're all neighbors and neighbors help one another out!” As Dokor spoke he gave a rather toothy grin though there was no maliciousness in it. “So the fish men are giving you trouble on the sea front are they?”


 


Crystella didn't bother waiting for Samuel to speak up as she responded. “Indeed they are. We would like to devote some extra sisters to the shore line to help them however we've been monitoring the kobolds as of late and don't want to pull sisters from the forest with a war going on around us. We've also began work on a rather important project.”

Chapter 16 by happiest_in_shadows

“Well it would be a lie to say I don't want to know what you have going on that's keeping you from sending extra sisters to the shore but if you say it's important enough then we'll take your word for it. Still, how many of our warriors are you asking for in this matter?”


 


This time Samuel chose to speak up. “We would like five hundred of your warriors as well as several of your battle tuskers as well.”


 


For the first time since the meeting had began Dokor frowned. “Five hundred? I have to tell you that's asking for an awful lot. Especially if you want us to include tuskers into the mix as well. Training them to fight along side us isn't easy.”


 


“I realize this what warriors you could afford us would be appreciated though.”


 


“Five hundred?” Dokor went silent for a few moments more as if thinking about something. “I believe that we could spare five hundred with animals so long as nothing forces us to withdraw to our village. However, in return we'd like to ask a favor of you and your sisters.”


 


“What would that be?”


 


“In truth this has been in contemplation for a long time and we've only be waiting for an opportunity to request it. We would like permission to set up a secondary village along the shore line for the sake of fishing along with this we would like permission to increase our population size.”


 


“Why do you desire these things?”


 


“They are those amongst us who fear that our numbers are too small should a serious threat arise even with your protection. For this reason we'd like to set up a secondary village and increase our numbers. However, going beyond the strategic advantage of having greater numbers there is also the benefit of being able to take a harvest from the sea. A harvest that we believe would more then make up for the additional number of mouths to feed.”


 


Now Samuel went silent as he considered what Dokor had told him. He had been given authority to negotiate with the orcs considering the request. This was a bit beyond what he had the authority to decide on though so that he turned to Crystalla. “What are your thoughts on this matter?”


 


“A permanent fishing settlement could be of use. Just how much of an increase in population are you asking for though?”


 


“A secondary village populated by three hundred orcs is what we'd hoped for. Such a village would be large enough to supply the main village and even the sister with a plentiful supply of fish plus defend itself against most threats. With such a village we'd also be in a far better position to help protect the forest from attacks from the sea.”


 


Crystella gave a nod after a few moments. “I can see the advantages that such a village might afford us however what makes you so certain the gains from the sea will counter balance the expenses from the forest?”


 


“Have you ever gone fishing on the beaches you have?” Dokor gave a grin and held out his arms to either side though not fully extended. “I swear I was able to bring in one this size every ten or fifteen minutes whenever we took a journey to the beach last winter.”


 


“You journeyed to the beach?”


 


“Yeah something had happened to some of our salted means and we were a little short on supply. So I gathered up some of my brothers and sisters and we made a journey to the beach. We expected to be down there for three to five weeks gathering supplies but it only took a week and a half to gather what we needed.”


 


After Samuel was silent for a moment Crystella spoke up. “What was that something?”


 


“Not certain it went bad all of a sudden.”


 


“I see. I might want to speak to you more about that later. On the subject at hand though. Neither Samuel or I have the authority to guarantee you such an agreement however if you were to help us in this matter to a satisfactory degree I'm certain our brothers and sisters would be happy to consider your request and at the very least repay you for your aid.”


 


In response Dokor gave a quick nod. “Yeah I figured you'd say as much but just having a few of you on our side is nice to know.”


 


Before Dokor could continue Crystella spoke up. “If we can't see fit to allow your expansion we will however repay you for your aid during these troubling times we can assure you of that. After all you have always honored your agreement to respect the denizens of your portion of the forest while taking care of it.”


 


“You don't need to on like that I know and we know that you all are as good as your word. Whether it's a promise or a threat.” A slight chuckle escaped Dokor as she looked towards the exit. “I'll have a word with the war leader and have her pick the troops she wants to bring. Even with that said though I can't guarantee you a full five hundred of our warriors.”


 


Now Samuel chose to speak up. “That's understandable I imagine after what we told you that you're worried about the kobolds as well.”


 


“Kobolds? Not really they don't come around here very often we've got other problems.”


 


“Oh? Like what?”


 


“A group of nesting wyverns they like to run off with live stock and well other orcs if we're not careful.”


 


“Don't they stop by here to fatten up every year though?”


 


“Yes they do and it's normally not a big problem. However, this time they're a lot of them.”


 


“I see. Have you lost any of your orcs to them?”


 


“One of the bastards swooped down and tried to take off with one of our young ones. Kelah put an ax into the things skull before it could get very far.”


 


“So the child was safe?”


 


“Saved but the damn thing opened up the poor kids right arm whenever it took hold of her. We got that fixed up and she's fine right now still. We don't want another scare like that one and have been considering thinning their numbers.”


 


“I can understand why.” After a moment Crystella gave a nod. “Okay we'll see what we can do to help you with your wyvern problem. After all such creatures aren't healthy for the forest in such large numbers.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“You know it's a good thing that even in your altered state your scent is recognizable.”


 


Upon hearing the voice the bear looked up from the lake and towards Kersara. Immediate recognition could be seen in the animals eyes as it turned to face her. Instead of showing fear though it set down as if making itself comfortable and lifted a paw in greeting.


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kersara as she shook her head. “I'm going to need you to shift into something more human so we can speak.”


 


Terin grinned slightly as Kersara's words and began to channel energy through his body to cause a shift in form. Immediately he felt his fur beginning to reseed into his body some areas faster then others while his muzzle began to move back into his head. His overall mass quickly diminished and he began to raise himself to a standing position as a human wearing animal skin clothes was revealed. “Yes what is it Kersara?”


 


“I was sent to find you and ask your help in a little matter. It seems we may have a situation.”


 


“Oh? Well unless it involves the forest or my daughter I may not be able to help you.”


 


“Yeah I figured as much. It does involve the forest though. Recently we've began noticing some odd happenings. None of them alone would make a big difference but together they're proving somewhat exhausting. Perhaps you already know that the kobolds have been unusual active even after their population was thinned.”


 


“Yes I've heard as much from the dryads though I haven't heard anything as of late.”


 


“Well at the same time there has been increased activity from the seas from the water kobolds. We've secured some aid in driving them back into the waters but it's still a problem. Then on top of that we've noticed increase difficulty in gathering food.”


 


“Well the cold season is coming so gathering food is going to become more difficult. Why did you think I was working on fattening up? As for the kobolds activity now that is an issue.”


 


“I'm not talking about the usual seasonal changes. At first we didn't really notice as it's expected to be harder to gather food as the cold weathers sets in. However, it's like the insect population has become unusually active for this time of year whenever they should be getting ready for winter.”


 


“I see what you mean by no one of them being a serious issue but all three causing you some concern. So what do you have in mind?”


 


“We would like you to check the spiritual health of the forest. The entire forest if you could manage.”


 


Terin was made to grimace slightly at this request. While he was quite capable of communing with nature spirits the entire forest was a different matter. “I don't take it you mean the spirit of the forest do you?”


 


“While that would be a step in the right direction we'd prefer if you spoke with every spirit in the forest in hopes of gaining some information.”


 


“Kersara that's a bit beyond my ability.”


 


“Then perhaps you could enlist the aid of some of your fellow druids?”


 


“Indeed that would help and I will but even then. They're more then a few spirits in the forest that attack us on site.”


 


“Huh? I thought you druids got along with the spirits of nature.”


 


“Kersara a predatory spirit is rarely anyone's friend. I will however speak with night fang.”


 


“Night fang?”


 


“He's the dominant wolf spirit in this forest and travels around quite a bit. I'm certain that he'd notice if anything was going on but there is a price to be paid.”


 


“Such as?”


 


“Would you mind bringing me three freshly killed elder deer?”


 


“Elder?”


 


In response Turin gave a nod. “Night fang is a wolf spirit like I said. By providing him three elder deer you're showing you respect him as the alpha wolf while also showing a respect for the health of the forest. It may seem cruel in some ways but there is a reason wolves prey upon the weak and elderly.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Kersara as she gave Turin a grin. “Yeah I think we get the whole predator prey relationship considering what we are. However, night fang? That doesn't sound like a very likely name for such a spirit.”


 


“It isn't. It's the name we druids have given him as none of us know his true name or those who do don't speak it.”


 


“Alright I'll see to getting you those deer. Turin would you mind coming by the village and delivering your report once you know something though?”


 


“I most assuredly will. It'll be nice to see my daughter again anyway.”


 


“Yeah I imagine Pera will like that. She's grown quite a bit since your last visit.”


 


A sigh escaped Turin upon hearing this and he gave a slight nod. “You know I miss her at times but I wasn't a very active presence in her life while she was growing up.”


 


“So? Are you worried that you'd be intruding if you tried to become one now?”


 


“So? Are you worried that you'd be intruding if you tried to become one now?”


 


“I suppose I am.”


 


“Well even if that was the case I believe Pera would prefer if you were in her life. She's old enough to make some decisions for herself now after all and she can travel around forest perhaps even more safely then yourself.”


 


“Yeah you may be right.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“So what do you think Joseph?”


 


“I believe we're going to need a lot more seeds.” As Joseph walked down the isle he found himself astounded by the number of planting stations. Of course, he knew they planned to grow enough to serve as a major food source but part of him wondered if they'd gone too far. “Mirin I'm not certain if all of this was really necessary.”


 


“You mean the number of stations?”


 


“Yeah. It seems like that half this amount would be more then enough.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Mirin as he gave his head a nod. “You might be right but it's not like this facility was being used for anything else.”


 


“Do you already have the first seeds I gave you planted?”


 


“Transplanted is more like it.”


 


“Hm?”


 


“We stated growing the seeds you gave us as soon as we had them. They're not much to look at right now but they're making some progress. Would you like to see them?”


 


“No thanks. I'm certain you're all taking wonderful care of them.”


 


A sigh escaped Mirin as he shook his head. “It's hard to get the sisters to back away from them. I'm worried they'll over water them to be honest. So I provided them with a nice regiment.”


 


“What all are they doing?”


 


“Well for one thing those sisters assigned to guard the plant seem to talk to the trees more then they talk to one another and when they do talk to one another they make sure it's near the tree. I had to come up with an overly complicated solution for them to water the plant giving exact measurements to assure them that they were doing everything they could to take care of the plant and the first trees were planted near the main sun stone. Even though they'd received as good of lighting wherever they were placed inside of the garden.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he heard this. “Are you serious Mirin?”


 


“Indeed I am.”


 


“I swear I believe they're more protective of the plant then I am.”


 


“Well you know what it means to them. The sooner they can start enjoying the life bloom the sooner their hunger can be diminished.”


 


“True though on that subject. Mirin how much do you believe the life bloom will diminish their hunger?”


 


“You mean the degree of hunger they're going to be feeling. Well rated on a scale from one to ten with one being completely full and ten being the hunger you feel while only being allowed one tenth of what your body needs to remain alive per day for a week most sisters rank at a five or six while at guardian status. Typically when they're allowed to grow to keeper status though it can easily diminish down to four or five.”


 


“So a fairly significant change here. What do you mean by most?”


 


“Some sisters feel their hunger far more then others. Maria for an example. When examined physiologically it was found that she feels her hunger one or two levels higher then the average.”


 


“So you mean whenever I met her she would have been ranked around a seven or an eight?”


 


“Indeed.”


 


For a moment Joseph said nothing but placed a hand over his heart. “Mirin do you ever feel guilt?”


 


“Huh? Well I have felt guilty before but I imagine you're talking about more then that. I assume you mean guilt over the plight of our sisters.”


 


“Well yes.”


 


In response Mirin gave a nod. “Actually I do. Well I'm not the only one though we don't speak about it often. Some of us like to fast at least a few days a year so that we can know some degree of ours sister's pain.”


 


“Do you fast Mirin?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Mirin as he gave his head a nod. “There is a celebration that we like to hold at the end of winter if we have the resources to do so. It's one of the few times our sisters get to feast. I like to take these days to fast and reflect upon the previous year. I wouldn't recommend doing it though.”


 


“Huh? Why not?”


 


“Because it doesn't do our sisters any good. The only thing it serves to do is relieve some of my guilt for not being able to help them more.”


 


For a moment Joseph went silent as he became uncertain as to what he should say. “You really care about our sisters a great deal don't you?”


 


“Naturally I am one of their brothers after all.”


 


“So does Sora know about your fasting?”


 


“I imagine she does but it's not something we talk about. It's very difficult to keep a secret from Sora especially if she wants to know what it is.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Joseph had been a little surprised upon hearing a knocking at the door. With the life bloom ready for use and the garden finished he didn't have much to do so he'd stayed home while Maria went to take care of her regular tasks. He had grown comfortable in the community though so there was no hesitation as he made his way to the door. “Good morning Carter what brings you here.”


 


“Morning Joseph. Well I came here to get you actually.”


 


“Me?”


 


“Yeah while our sisters are taking care of their regular tasks we're conducting a meeting at the library and we'd like for you to join us.”


 


“Um sure. I guess. I hadn't heard anything about it though.”


 


“Well as long as you're not busy we'd appreciate it if you'd join us.”


 


“Sure. Let me leave Maria a note though encase she comes home before I do.”


 


“Sure.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Hey Joseph I'm glad to see you could make it.”


 


“Hey Dan what's going on here?”


 


“Well we're planning a celebration of sorts and discussing some other matters. Matters which we believe you'd be interested in discussing.”


 


“Oh?” As he spoke Joseph proceeded into the room noting some familiar faces and some new ones amongst the brothers. Instinctively he chose to take a seat next to Dan as the person he knew the best and felt the most comfortable around.


 


As Joseph was seated one of the brothers spoke up. “Okay we've gathered today to discuss two major issues. The first is the celebration we're going to have in order to celebrate the completion of the life bloom garden and how much food is going to be consumed during that event. The second thing we're to discuss is exactly how large our sisters new heights are going to be.”


 


Before anyone else could speak up Mirin chose to do so. “I believe basing our decision on what their new heights should be would be faulty. Rather I believe we should speak in terms of the nutrition they're allowed to take in every day.”


 


Once again a brother Joseph had yet to meet spoke up. “You make a good point there Mirin though exactly how much of an increase would you suggest?”


 


“I believe increasing the amount of nutrition our sisters are allowed to intake by twenty percent would be acceptable. So long as that twenty percent comes from them eating the life bloom.”


 


“Have you taken the time to figure how much of the fruit we'd have to grow to meet that demand?”


 


This time another brother beat Mirin to the punch. “A keeper would need two life blooms allocated to her per day in order to to achieve such a level of intake. An average of two life blooms per day that is. A guardian would only require a bit more then the average life bloom would give by itself and our yet smaller sisters would require less. While a matron would require far more their numbers are much smaller then the wrest of our sisters so it should be easy to cope with.”


 


“How did you know that?”


 


“I became curious as to the energy content of the life bloom when compared to a well made healing potion so I examined Joseph and Dan's data on the plant a few days ago. I'm surprised that you hadn't taken the time to do the calculations yourself.”


 


“I had other matters to atend to.”


 


Now a new voice entered the conversation though Joseph couldn't see them. “Oh yes. Setting down in the library copying pages requires so much mental focus and is such hard work.”


 


Now Mirin chose to speak up raising his voice to make sure everyone could hear him. “Okay let's stop that right now. This isn't time for us to be sniping at one another for whatever reasons.”


 


Roland had been quiet up until this point but chose to speak up. “Don't you believe we should give them a smaller amount of nourishment then an extra twenty percent? After all the life bloom hasn't began growing in sufficient quantities to feed them yet and we don't want to deplete the forest.”


 


Mirin wasn't all that surprised whenever he heard Roland's voice and turned to face him. “It's not like we'll be allowing them to eat up the food reserves for the party. They'll just be enjoying the perishable items we've kept in storage and even at the proposed rate there is enough to last them quite some time. Given our data on the life bloom there should be plenty being grown before our sisters have even depleted a quarter of the reserve.”


 


“You mean if nothing goes wrong Mirin. I believe you're being irresponsible in your proposal.”


 


“While I respect your opinion Roland I disagree. Even if the life bloom wasn't ready by the time we estimate it's not as if we're taking as much from the forest as we could. Currently the forest could easily support the additional energy needs on its own and I've seen no indicators that will change any time soon.”


 


“Yes and they were few indicators that we were going to suffer our last drought.”


 


“What do you mean no indicators? The elementalist of the time we're able to predict the change in weather nearly five years in advance and while their timing wasn't exact it gave them time to prepare. The current predictions are holding that the weather will be constant as it has been for at least another three years. Time magic scryings have also agreed with this.”


 


“And are those scryings always accurate?”


 


“No, but the data is consistent enough to be used especially when backed by the elementalist findings and our own examinations of the forest.”


 


As Jospeh listened to Mirin and Roland he noticed one of the other brothers were speaking up. Uncertain as to why he'd taken the time to find the brother that was speaking and was actually surprised to see he wore the same mark that Mirin was wearing. He was a number eight just like Mirin was. Neither of the men spoke next though.


 


Lansing was another eight ranked brother just like Mirin and Roland though he was a bit older then either of them. So that while they all three were ranked eight he could be argued as a bit more respected at least amongst the brothers. “I believe that you both are forgetting three major issues at this moment. First there is the war that's going on around the forest. While no serious moves have been made yet it wouldn't be surprising if one side attempted to claim the resources of our forest to help supply their war effort. Another thing you seem to be forgetting is the strange behavior that's been going on inside of the forest itself with the kobolds and at the sea.”


 


In response Roland gave a quick nod. “Indeed with such pressing matters it wouldn't be surprising if we found our food supply reduced. That's..”


 


While normally Lansing would have waited for Roland to finish he chose to interrupt this time. “That's not what I meant by that. With such forces arrayed against us it would be best to increase our military strength as soon as possible. As rather then lose part of our forest due to insufficient strength to protect it I believe we should bolster our strength so that we can protect it.”


 


Mirin didn't let Roland speak up first but rather chose to respond quickly. “You make a very good point Lansing.”


 


“Very well Lansing, Mirin what do you propose we do if the life bloom doesn't provide the boon you're expecting?”


 


It was impossible for Lansing not to grin as he looked at Roland. “Then how fortunate we have our none perishable food supply to buy us the time we need to adapt to the situation. I also believe our allies might might be able to help us in this matter.”


 


“Allies?”


 


“Well it's not something we were going to discuss in this meeting but we may as well. The orcs have asked our permission to set up a fishing village on the beach. They've also asked to be allowed an increase in their population and have proposed to pay for the extra strain this will put on the forest with the harvest they take from the sea. Personally I support this proposal as we lack the numbers to do it ourselves.”


 


Once again Mirin spoke up rather quickly. “Lansing when did you hear about this?”


 


“Oh. It was only early this morning whenever the representatives we sent to the orcs got back. I told them they had my support and I'd bring the matter up with the other brothers soon. Though I had only meant to speak to a few of you to be honest. You and Roland were rather high on that list of brothers I wanted to ask for support.”


 


To this Mirin gave a nod. “How much of a numbers increase are they asking for?”


 


“Three hundred.”


 


Instantly Mirin was made to recoil. “That's something of a large increase.”


 


“Indeed but do you have a counter offer?”


 


“Perhaps a guaranteed one hundred and fifty with future growth allowed if the fishing is as good as they believe it will be?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Lansing as he looked at Mirin. “Mirin you've always been a fan of percentages and adjustable bargains haven't you?”


 


“If you can't bend you break.”


 


In response Lansing gave a nod. “Indeed.”


 


As Lansing finished silence went over the room until someone spoke up. It surprised Joseph who it was as he looked to Dan. “Well then I believe it's time to ask who's in favor of a twenty percent increase to what each of our sisters are allowed to eat to be implemented at the upcoming celebration?”


 


Joseph felt more then a little awkward as he wished to support Dan but wasn't certain how he should go about doing it. He wasn't even certain he had the authority to do so. Then he noticed Dan removing his emblem as were several other brothers. They proceeded forward and placed the emblems in the center of the room in a pattern Joseph quickly recognized. Namely each emblem was grouped with those of the same rank. As the emblems were placed the brothers returned to their seats.


 


Now Lansing spoke up. “I doubt it's necessary but those brothers who wish to oppose please cast your vote. Though I believe you're out voted in this matter.”


 


Despite Lansing's comment Roland and several other brothers stood up to note their opposition. Even as they placed their emblems they were far fewer then any of them suspect as some brother's remained seated. Apparently they had more undecided in the matter then they had in opposition. “If you set undecided you realize that there is a degree of risk to this why don't you vote along with us?”


 


Once again a brother Joseph didn't know spoke up. “It's because we see risk to both decision and thus are uncertain. Think what you may of that but in this matter it doesn't change anything. If we voted for then those supporting the ideal would only increase while if we voted against it would still not be enough to reverse the decision of those for.”


 


Mirin had a wide grin on his face as Roland and the others returned to their seats. “It seems clear that we will be moving forward with the increase in food supply. Please retrieve your marks and let's move onto the other matter. The exact hosting of the celebration.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Joseph! Joseph!” As Maria dashed towards her home she'd nearly forgotten that she was moving faster then the sound waves she was sending out. Fortunately as she neared the door she calmed down and quickly began to bring herself to a stop leaving a clear path as to when she'd began stopping.


 


Joseph didn't bother looking outside to see what was going on but headed towards the main entrance. He didn't enter the room though but stood in the doorway leading to it slightly behind the wall. He only made to enter the room whenever Maria suddenly burst inside of it. “Yes Maria?”


 


“There is going to be a party!” An excited giggle escaped Maria as she quickly spun around. “Isn't that wonderful?”


 


“A party? Are we celebrating something?”


 


In response Maria gave a nod. “Yeah we're celebrating the completion of the life bloom garden site. Now we just have to take care of them and let the plant grow.”


 


“Oh yeah that is right. You seem even more excited then usual though.”


 


“Of course! It's to be a week long and you... You already knew about the decision.”


 


A grin formed on Joseph's face as he gave a nod. “Yeah I was gone most of the day speaking with Mirin, Carter, Dan and several of the other brothers about the celebration and other matters. What do you think of it all?”


 


“I think it's wonderful news though I'm a little upset about one thing.”


 


“Oh? What is that?”


 


“I'm really not going to be able to participate in the celebration.”


 


“Huh? Why not?”


 


Before continuing Maria walked over to Joseph and stood next to him so the difference in their sizes was clear. “Because I'm not even suppose to be this big to begin with. It's only because you've been supplying me with the life bloom that me being this size was tolerated.”


 


For a moment Joseph went silent and looked at Maria. “I thought that wouldn't matter though. After all it's my choice to supply you with such foods. Did someone say something to you?”


 


“No. It's not that anyone spoke to me or that I have to do it. It's just that. Well it isn't fair to my sisters you know? I shouldn't be the exception to the rule that's helped secure our survival for so long.”


 


“You're not the exception to the rule though you just happen to have a friend who's willing to help you out.”


 


“Well is it fair that I'm making you carry that burden?”


 


For a moment Joseph was silent then a grinned form on his face. “I believe you should leave this decision up to me then.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“Originally the reason you grew was my fault and my improper testing methods and I realize that. So I took responsibility for it. This time though I can choose to provide for you or let you fall back in line with the wrest of your sisters. I believe that I would like to continue to provide for you.”


 


While Maria was quite fond of Joseph and put a lot of trust in him she was surprised whenever she felt her cheeks warming up. It took her a moment to realize she was blushing and a sheepish smile appeared on her face. “Are you sure about that though?”


 


“I'm certain. Of course, if I'm going to take on that responsibility I need to insure that I can handle it.”


 


“What do you have in mind?”


 


“Well I wonder if I could begin growing my own little garden of life blooms. Up until now I've been using the ones grown in the lab but I can't really expect to lay claim to that lab for all time. No. I need to find a way to grow the life bloom right here in this house and just for you.”


 


“Joseph. I'm not sure what I should say to that!” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she reached out and took hold of Joseph's shoulders. She then leaned forward and pressed her lips firmly against his for a moment. “Well when you figure that out I'll be happy to help you implement it.”


 


“Perhaps then we should convert one of the rooms into a garden?”


 


“Sure but how would we grow the life bloom inside?”


 


“The same way the ones grown underground are being contained I suppose. Naturally we won't be able to use a sun stone like the ones down there but I have a few ideals. Now back to the matters at hand. Do you know when the celebration is going to be held?”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “In three or five days.”


 


“Why three to five days and why didn't the brothers plan the schedule for the celebration?”


 


“Organization mostly. Moving the food supplies for the celebration from the storage areas and preparing it for consumption.”


 


“You mean it's not already prepared?”


 


“If by prepared you mean edible then yes. That doesn't exactly mean that it taste good or not as good as it could with a little preparing. After all I can't think of many people that would prefer dried meat and vegetables over a nice stew.”


 


“I see what you mean. So does any of your celebration involve eating truly fresh food though?”


 


“Joseph most of the food we eat was killed or gathered earlier that day. So I'd say we're always eating fresh food except on these rare occasions.”


 


“That's true but you don't eat much of it.”


 


“Well that is true. We try to avoid such behavior to keep from causing the forest undue stress. One situation I can think of during which we truly gorge ourselves on the fresh stuff is after a large hunt. Perhaps we're working to diminish the numbers of a given species or as a special reward for those who don't attend the main celebration such as Kersara.”


 


“Huh? You mean she won't be joining us?”


 


“Sadly sisters like Kersara work too far away from the village to enjoy the main festivities and they can't be away from their post for too long. Instead they get to enjoy a smaller celebration away from the main village and as they don't get to enjoy the socialization they get treated to some special rewards.”


 


“I see. Still, it must be hard to make up for missing the party with food.”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah I imagine that it is. Hm hey Joseph. Would you mind if we went to celebrate with Kersara and the other sisters who guard the beach?”


 


“Huh? Are you sure you'd want to do that? I don't believe I'd mind either way.”


 


“Yeah I believe it'd be nice and besides Kersara is one of our neighbors.”


 


“Okay then if that's what you want to do.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“So how did the creation of the glyphs go?”


 


“Quite well really. They should have no trouble handling the amount of energy the life bloom allows to bleed into this world. The only real complication is developing the energy transmission system. Silver would work best for the tower as far as I can figure however it's difficult even for me to get enough silver to finish it without raising some eyebrows. How are things going on your end?”


 


“I wish that I could say they're going as well as they were on yours. It's proving quite difficult to develop a mechanism that would receive the energy and make it available to our sisters without the device itself degrading.”


 


“What's the problem?”


 


“Finding enough people with the needed skills that can be trusted to keep quiet about it and are available to aid us.”


 


“It's the available part that I find extremely difficult. On that subject though have you spoken with Dan or Joseph? Joseph has finished his work with the life bloom for the most part and Dan is going to be less busy as he'll be freeing himself up for Mina.”


 


“I haven't and I'm surprised to hear you suggest I speak with Joseph. I thought you didn't completely trust him just yet?”


 


“I trust him enough to have him work on this project with us and believe that he's skilled enough. I'm certain he'll also understand why we can't make this project widely known. If it fails I would prefer not to have gotten the hopes of our sisters' up and we don't want to risk any hindrances.”


 


“Well if you're willing to indorse them being brought into the project I might as well go have a word with them.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Well that's an odd request. Have you already spoken to Joseph about it?”


 


In response Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah we'd like to be part of the group that brought the supplies to Kersara and the other sisters watching the beach front.”


 


“May I know why?”


 


“Well she's our neighbor so I feel it's the polite thing to do and besides. I want to enjoy some time with Joseph in a fun but quieter setting.”


 


To this Carter gave a nod. “Well I don't see any reason why you shouldn't. Now you know there has been increased activity on the beaches though.”


 


“I know but I'll make sure Joseph stays safe. Besides I believe he'll enjoy meeting some of the other races we share this forest with.”


 


“So will you be coming back to join in on the main festivities after words?”


 


“Yeah I figure we can spend a day or two at the beach then come back. Besides I don't believe Joseph would be too comfortable spending the entire celebration out there. He's quite fond of his creature comforts after all.”


 


“Yes it's a feeling many of us brothers share. We like our comfortable beds, bath and well sheltered homes.”


 


“Hey it's not like we sisters don't enjoy such things.”


 


“Oh I wouldn't say that you didn't. However, what you consider well comfortable and well sheltered tends to be very different from what we do.”


 


“I suppose so. So what other sisters are going to be going to the beach?”


 


“I was thinking about sending Pera and her little group of friends to make the delivery. They're of age now that I believe we can trust them with some responsibility and the delivery would be a good one. After all if they do it properly they can show their restraint and their devotion to their sisters.”


 


“What if they stop to snack on the food?”


 


“Then they've shown how little of those things they have and how much growing up they still have to do.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she gave a nod. “Do you want me to keep an eye on them?”


 


“No. This is important to show how mature they are. If they're going to stop and eating the food before they deliver it then they need to be given that chance to fail. If you're there I know that the food will arrive safely.”


 


“Are you certain about that Carter? Remember I was one of the sister that had to be put to sleep and Joseph is the only reason it didn't happen to me again.”


 


“You've matured a lot since then Maria.”


 


“Thanks.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Turin sat quietly waiting for night fang to finish taking in the energies from the three freshly slain dear before him. As he did so though a group of wolves had gathered around and slowly began to nip and pick at the food as while the energy was drained from it they ate the flesh. Most of the wolves ate the dear to either side of the center one while only two wolves a male and a female were eating upon the center. Two rather impressive looking wolves one female and one male.


 


“What have you come to ask of me?”


 


Upon hearing the voice in his head Turin respond swiftly but clearly. “There has been a disturbance within the forest of a mystic nature and I would like to know if it's touched upon the spiritual world.”


 


“It has.”


 


The ease with which night fang responded had actually caught Turin off guard. “Could you give me more details?”


 


“Do you not see it yourself? Many dryads have moved in the past moons vacating their original bodies and enduring the hardship and dangers of transferring to another one. They have all been moving away from the same location and yet you druids haven't noticed it. Neither have you been journeying there yourselves.”


 


As the words reached into his mind Turin felt his pulse quicken as he thought about the dryads. He had actually noticed them moving but it had never occurred to him to give it much thought. “How could I not have noticed that?”


 


Night fang knew it wasn't a real question but the wolf chose to answer anyway. “You've let yourself be poisoned by the interloper as well. You have been numbed to its actions like the most horrific of poisons until it's too late.”


 


“I see. Then night fang why haven't you moved against this spirit? Surely you realize it is a threat to the entire forest.”


 


“I have answered many of your questions without proper payment haven't I?”


 


In response to the question Turin was made to recoil as he realized that he'd made a mistake. “I apologize for the offense.” While Turin had been eager to have night fang answer his questions he'd realized the wolf spirit had volunteered far more information then he normally would have for such a payment. “Would you be willing to do me a favor and grant me further knowledge to protect the forest?”


 


“For the moment.”


 


“Might I know if your packs have moved against this spirit?”


 


“We have.”


 


“To what degree of success.”


 


“This infection gathers its strength where it knows my strength fails me. Those insidious creatures have hunted my kin in that accursed blemish in this pristine landscape until lose my fangs there. She knows that if she steps outside of that din I would rend her apart.”


 


As night fang spoke Turin could actually feel the spirits anger. Apparently he felt far more strongly about this then he was letting on. To keep a spirit as powerful as night fang back though even within a zone of dominion was quite impressive though and a cause for concern. “Why has this creature sought to drive back the dryads?”


 


“The dryads purify this creatures taint and weaken it slowing its expansion. She seeks to either drive them away, murder or better yet consume them. However, the human cats prevent her from lashing out in force against the dryads for fear of losing herself to them.”


 


“I see.”


 


“We're done here.”


 


“Wait! I have more questions I need to ask.”


 


“Then prepare another offering. I have done enough for you druid.”


 


A sigh escaped Turin as night fang began to vanish. Even in such a situation the spirit was a difficult one. Then again considering night fang's nature it seemed rather natural whenever Turin considered it. Undoubtedly this newcomer was also just another concern to the spirit. There were other powerful spirits within the forest after all and Turin knew that many of them were enemies.


 


“Oh wow Gina that is a pretty one!”


 


“Thanks Lanora it took me a while to find it. Do you like it Pera?”


 


Instead of responding right away Pera continued to look at the collar Gina had made for herself. It was made from some form of silk which Pera guessed to be dire spider with a large pearl in the center. “When did you make that?”


 


“I've been working on it for a while now. My sister likes to make clothing and I decided to try my hand at it. It took me a lot of time.”


 


Pera could no longer contain herself as she looked at the collar. “I want one! Can you make me one Gina?”


 


Immediately Gina was made to tense up. “Well it was a lot of work and I don't know. I mean we're friends and all but.”


 


“How about if I gather everything you need to make it? I'll even trade you some other things for it.”


 


“Mm well. Okay gather the materials that I need and while I'm working on the collar you'll have to handle my hunting for me and I'll make you one.”


 


“Deal!” Immediately Pera clapped her hands together as she thought of having a collar of her own. “I wonder if Allen would like one as well.”


 


“Now Pera these aren't easy for me to make! Don't go wanting one for not just yourself but everyone else.”


 


“Ah alright. I suppose Allen wouldn't be comfortable wearing something like this anyway.”


 


As Lenora and Pera settled down Gina spoke up. “Hey what do you two think of the delivery we're going to be making?”


 


Pera couldn't help but smile as she considered the delivery. “I think it's going to be a lot of fun and I'm glad that they're finally trusting us with more things.”


 


“Yeah but it'll be like losing an entire day of celebration between the traveling there and traveling back to the village and that's if we hurry. The food we're packing could really slow us down.”


 


To this Pera gave a nod but held up a finger. “That may be true but at least we get to enjoy the good stuff. Lots of fresh meat, fruit, vegetables and drinks.”


 


In response Lenora gave a quick nod. “Yeah and maybe we can find some pearls on the beach.”


 


To this Pera gave a quick nod. “Yeah and even if we don't we can always eat the clams we find while searching.”


 


In response Lenora gave a quick nod. “Oh that's going to be so good. It's been so long since I've had some really fresh fish. Perhaps we can even try some cooking methods that I learned from Dan.”


 


“You've been talking to Dan about different cooking methods?”


 


“Yeah. One I really like is you take a whole bunch of wood and dig a big pit. You then burn the wood in the pit until it is reduced down to embers and put the clams on them. After that you bury the clams in the sand and let them cook like that. Supposedly they taste real good.”


 


“Huh. Are you sure that's all there is to it?”


 


“Um there might be more. We can ask Dan before we go though.”


 


“How about you Gina aren't you excited?”


 


“Well. I really don't want to go to be honest.”


 


It was impossible for Lenora to keep the surprise out of her voice. “Huh? Why not?”


 


“I'd rather stay here and enjoy the main festivities then go to the beach. I really like the music.”


 


For a moment Pera was silent then she livened up again. “Hey! What about the orcs! They're on the beach with our sisters. I bet they'd like to have a bit of a celebration as well. I've been to the orc village and listened to some of their music and it's really neat.”


 


“I. I don't know.”


 


“Come on try to be positive.”


 


“Well alright Pera.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Pera as she looked towards Allen's home. “I hope Stella will let me bring Allen along to the beach.”


 


Immediately Lenora got an alarmed look on her face. “You're going to ask Stella if you can bring her little boy to the beach knowing the dangers?”


 


“Sure. I'll protect Allen.”


 


“I don't know if Stella will go for that.”


 


“Well at least I can ask.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Mom!” Allen couldn't help but grumble as his mother busied herself placing him in some protective robes. Robes that were comfortable but seemed entirely uncalled for.


 


“What is it sweet heart?”


 


“I feel silly!”


 


“Non sense you look very handsome.”


 


It was impossible for Allen to keep from frowning as he looked up at his massive mother. She'd taken some protective clothing from storage and was now dressing him in them. He truly didn't want to wear them but they were the only way his mother would let him go with Pera. Before he could say anything else he felt something impact him in the side and glanced down to see a small pile of rocks. “Huh?”


 


“Did you feel that one baby?”


 


In response Allen gave a slight nod and noticed his mother sigh. “What is it mom?”


 


“I guess that's enough protection but it wasn't what I was hoping for.”


 


“What do you mean?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Stella as she lightly dusted off the area where the rock had hit. “I've been flicking you with pebbles this entire time. I wanted to make sure the robes afforded you enough protection.”


 


“Really? How hard was that last flick?”


 


“It was about as hard as I would have flicked one if I wanted to pierce a basilisk's head.”


 


“Neat!”


 


“Yes which shows you how well made these are. Now Allen I was able to convince our brothers to loan these to us. So you're going to have to take good care of them. Understand?”


 


“Yes mommy.”


 


“I don't want you swimming on the beach unless you stay in the shallows and make sure lots of your sisters are around.”


 


“Yes mommy.”


 


“Be sure you keep Kersara or Pera in sight at all times. Preferably both.”


 


“Mom! I'm not a baby anymore I can use alchemy and even cast my own spells. Our instructor has even been talking about letting me stop writing down everything I'm going to do.”


 


“What!”


 


Immediately Allen tensed up upon hearing his mother's voice and realized he'd made a mistake. “He says I've improved a lot and don't need the list as much anymore.”


 


“Well I'm just going to have to speak with him about that.”


 


“Ah mom. I'm learning and I haven't made the same mistake in a long time.”


 


“Yes and you're also working with some advanced alchemy. I want to make sure you stay safe Allen.”


 


“I am safe.”


 


A sigh escaped Stella as she reached under Allen and picked him up hugging him to herself. “Well I suppose that if your teacher says you're ready to quit using your notes then I'll trust his judgment.”


 


There was no fight from Allen as his mother picked him up. Rather he returned the hug and wrapped his arms around her massive neck as best he could. “Thanks.”


 


“That still doesn't mean you can take off those robes though.”


 


“Even if Kersara says that it's alright?”


 


“Hm well alright. If Kersara say that it's safe enough for you to take off those robes you may take them off. However, before you leave her sight you have to put them back on. Now lets get you some clothing packed for your journey.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Kelah took in a deep breath noticing the difference in the ocean air and what she breathed in the forest. Both were nice in their own right but this was something she rarely got to experience. It made her hope they would be setting up a village there very soon. A nudge on her right leg drew her attention away from the water before her and she bent down and patted the tusker on its head. “Hey there boy. You ready to kill some fish men?”


 


After a few moments of letting Kelah rub its head the tusker gave it a quick shake and moved a bit away from her. It then began to lightly sniff the sand though it stopped rather quickly. A sure sign that it didn't like this new environment but its master was here so it wasn't going anywhere. Instead of it turned and gave a rather loud snort to which several other tuskers responded and came out onto the beach with Kelah.


 


With the tuskers behind her Kelah stepped over to the waves just lapping at the beach and bent down. She then pressed her hands into the sand, closed her eyes and looked out over to the water. As she did so the waves reached further into the land wetting her knees and seemed to remain around her hands long before reseeding into the water. Her breathes became deeper and for a few moments she remained like that until finally a gasp escaped her and she stood up.


 


“Dinon how is everyone?”


 


“Tired.” As he spoke Dinon came to stand next to Kelah. “Did you really have to push that hard Kelah?”


 


“My father made it very clear that he wanted us on the beach as quickly as possible so yes. Besides it's not like anyone died on the march.”


 


“I sure felt close enough to it though!”


 


In response to this Kelah gave a slight snort. “Then perhaps I should make you all go on more marches like that to toughen you up.”


 


Dinon couldn't help but grin as he looked at Kelah. Kelah while the daughter of Dokor hadn't just been given her position. She was extremely powerfully built with muscles that had been developed during long combat training sessions with a wide variety of weapons and using a wide variety of hindrances. The two dragon talon axes that rested on either side of her seemed to way nothing in her hands. Her hair was a deep black though kept short to keep it from hindering her in combat while her eyes were a bright green. Her body spoke of power and he knew that it spoke truthfully. “Now that seems a bit harsh.”


 


“Really? Razor isn't grumbling?”


 


“Razor is laying down about to take a nap.”


 


In response to those words Kelah quickly turned to the tusker who had indeed found a nice place to lay down and seemed ready to go to sleep. “Damn it!” A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as she turned away from the tusker. “Well we're here so go ahead and set up camp and rest yourselves.”


 


“I just hope we're not attacked right now.”


 


“Oh quit your belly aching we'd be fine. I didn't push you so hard that you couldn't fight if your life depended on it.”


 


“Alright Kelah. You know I just like giving you a hard time.”


 


“Yeah.” Once again Kehal chuckled and took a few steps towards the ocean. “Okay which are you more tired or hungry! Anyone who's hunger is speaking louder then their feet is free to catch us some dinner.”


 


A slight yelp escaped Dinon as several orcs nearly ran him over rushing towards the water and began making preparations for some fishing. He actually had to work to keep himself from rushing to the water himself.


 


“Told you they weren't as tired as they were pretending. I know what my soldiers can handle. So what are you going to do?”


 


“We'll need fires to cook that fish I'll start getting things set up.”


 


Instead of responding to Dinon, Kelah gave a sharp whistle and turned to Razor. “Razor chow time.”


 


In response to his owners voice Razor quickly hopped up and began to move towards the rest of the tuskers. While they'd been able to eat on the journey they hadn't really been able to eat to their contentment. Now the tuskers gathered together and began to forage in the near by jungle. Having grown tired of the feed they'd been provided with over the last few days even if it was filling.


 


As the tuskers began to feed Dinon looked at Kelah. “Aren't you worried that the fish men might attack us”


 


To this Kelah gave a shrug. “Not at the moment.”


 


“What makes you so certain.”


 


“What do you think I just got finished doing a few moments ago?”


 


“Well I assumed you were communing with the spirits of the sea.”


 


“Indeed I was. I announced our presences and asked for them to welcome us.”


 


“So what did they say and did you learn anything of the fish men?”


 


“I felt no hostility of any kind towards us for the moment. There is irritation amongst the spirits though.”


 


To this Dinon gave a slight nod. “Okay but how does that tell you that the fish men won't attack us at the moment?”


 


“Like I said I felt no hostility of any kind. I will want the bones of the fish that are caught brought to me when we're finished though and I'm going to retrieve some incense. Also make sure you prepare some extra fish. We will be having guest.”


 


“Sure thing.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Kersara knew the orcs had arrived by the sent on the air. She could smell the fish cooking and she could smell the incense. She recognized them from the few times she'd visited the orc village and knew that they were used in ceremonies of greeting. She guessed the orcs were making the local spirits aware of their presence and seeking their approval in being there. It actually surprised Kersara whenever she gave a sigh of relief as part of her realized that her back up had arrived and she began to dash towards the main camp.


 


“So Kelah what have the spirits been saying?”


 


“Dinon you really have to focus more on your studies so you don't have to ask me questions like that.”


 


“Ah come on Kelah. You know the spirits don't tend to respect me like they do you.”


 


“The local water spirits are upset by the recent activity of the fish men as are the spirits of nature that resides along the coast. They're watching us and seem to be pleased with my initial offering though they don't trust us.”


 


Before Dinon could respond a new voice joined them. “So what does that mean to us who don't tend to listen to the spirits?”


 


Upon hearing Kersara's voice Kelah looked towards her and smiled. “It means they'll aid me in battle but they're not going to do any special favors.”


 


“I don't believe I quite understand. I'm glad to have you and your troops here though.”


 


Kelah was made to grin and stepped towards Kersara. As she did she took hold of her and gave her what would have been an extremely firm hug to most. After Kersara returned the hug she broke away. “I'll explain it to you but perhaps while we eat?”


 


“I believe I'd like that.”


 


“This way then.” As she spoke Kelah indicated an empty spot within the camp where some freshly cooked fish currently rested along with several bits of fruit. She waited until Kersara had taken her seat then sat down to join her. “Effectively the spirits can afford us three types of power. Now keep in mind that they are more the three forms of power but they are three that are most well known. The first and most precious is the power they teach us to draw from ourselves. This power remains with us all the time and will always be ours.”


 


“Alright.”


 


“The second is the power that lies within that spirits element. This strength depends on the environment one is in and possible resistance. Here on this beach for example I can feel the power of the water like no where in the forest.”


 


“What about spirits that don't have an element though? Such as the wolf spirit night fang.”


 


“Night fang?”


 


“Well that's what the druids we know call him.”


 


For a moment Kelah went silent. “OH! Yes night fang.”


 


“Don't you know him?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Kelah as she gave a nod. “I know Night Fang but I know him by another name which I won't speak.” Before continuing Kelah reached up and removed a gauntlet on her right wrist revealing a scar underneath it. “This represents my bond with the wolf spirit you mention and while it might not be water or the such these spirits most assuredly do have an element of their own. I can feel the power of the wolves most strongly whenever I hunt with my clan and their power feels me.”


 


“So you're literally stronger when fighting with your clan or in other words with your pack?”


 


“That's right.”


 


“Okay then what is the third power you mention?”


 


“The third is power from the spirits we have a bond with or any spirit in the area that chooses to grant those who will listen power. However, often such power comes with a price to be paid in one form or another. When I said that the spirits in this area will not grant us any special favors this is what I meant. However, they won't hinder me from drawing from the latent energy in the area either.”


 


“So what's the price they tend to charge?”


 


“It depends from spirit to spirit generally the more powerful the spirit or the greater the aid the more they charge. Of course you always have to pay up front unless you have some prior arrangement which I don't.”


 


“Hm okay.” Before continuing Kersara reached down and picked up a bit of fish. Before she began eating it though she asked again. “You said that you were speaking with the spirits of the sea but does the sea itself have a spirit?”


 


“Yeah the sea has a spirit. However, I'm just one little orcish shaman and that's the spirit of the entire sea worshiped as a goddess by some. I don't have the type of power that would be required to call upon such a spirit even for a hello or general glance in my direction. The local spirits are pretty strong themselves but they'll respond.”


 


By the time Kelah had finished speaking Kersara had finished chewing her fish so she was able to speak up again. “Neat. Hey the wolves have a spirit in the forest what about the tuskers?”


 


“They have one as well but that's one spirit I won't deal with. It takes stubborn and aggressive to an entirely new level. The only persons I know of who has managed to have dealings with that spirit is the master trainer of our young battle tuskers and my father. Hey Dinon coming over here!”


 


In response to Kelah's call Dinon quickly trotted over. “What is it Kelah?”


 


“Show off that chest of yours for us?”


 


A grin formed on Dinon's face as he knew what Kelah wanted him to show Kersara. He didn't hesitate to lift his shirt revealing a well muscled abdomen though a massive scar could be seen across it. It was an old scar that had healed up long ago and didn't bother him anymore but it was still impressive.


 


Before Kersara could ask Kelah placed a hand against Dinon's stomach. “This is what happened whenever Dinon here tried to contact that spirit in hopes of learning aggression. He was a young warrior at the time and didn't quite have the drive for battle. The spirit was upset that Dinon had called upon him though and attacked. Fortunately we were able to close the gap Dinon had created to commune with the spirit before he killed him but it still got a bit of a hit in. I honestly thought the experience would ruin him as a warrior.”


 


“Ouch that looks unpleasant.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Dinon as he gave his head a nod. “It was. Seeing my insides coming on the outside wasn't exactly a pleasant experience either.”


 


To this Kelah gave a nod. “Our shaman and healers were able to save him.”


 


“So Kelah you said you were worried it'd ruined him as a warrior where you the war leader back then?”


 


“Oh not by any means. I was still learning to commune with the spirits and had only made a few contracts. I was also still receiving combat training from my father. Kersara I've answered some questions for you would you mind answering some for me?”


 


“Sure if it's not too intrusive.”


 


“All of you seem quite capable in combat however is this a natural trait that comes with birth or do you receive some form of training?”


 


“Hm well I would be deceiving you if I said it was all training. That said it's not something we learn as we're born either. Typically our mothers teach us how to fight at an early age and then if we want we can learn more advanced techniques from more experienced sisters or the humans that live with us.”


 


“The humans? How do they manage that?”


 


“Humans are relatively weak compared to us physically but that doesn't mean they can't teach us useful and powerful techniques. I actually received extensive training from one of them before coming here.”


 


“Oh? And who was this human?”


 


“His name was Lanar and he was extremely well versed in combat. He didn't just teach me how to fight though he also taught me the proper way to train my body to get the most out of it.”


 


“Ah I see! I've noticed you seem rather well developed amongst your sisters.”


 


“Yeah his teachings helped me a lot.”


 


“Is he still with you?”


 


In response Kersara gave a quick nod. “Indeed he is though he's been rather busy as of late.”


 


“May I know why?”


 


“No that's too much.”


 


“Very well does he still teach though.”


 


In response Kersara gave a quick nod. “He sure does. Though he doesn't take on many students. I think the most he's agreed to teach at anyone time is four students and there always has to be another person of the same gender.”


 


“How come?”


 


“Two sisters to fight against one another with two brothers to fight against one another.”


 


“Hm my training involved a lot of one on one sparring with my instructor how does this Lanar handle that?”


 


“That's one of the limitations we have to deal with.”


 


“So how did you get around it?”


 


“For a while my teacher would drink potions to help him fight on par with me and rely upon his experience. After a while that got dangerous so I ended up training with other sisters and receiving suggestions from him. Every now and then we'd use illusions so that I could train with him directly but my body soon became faster then his and it couldn't keep up.”


 


“I imagine that it's a little frustrating.”


 


“I don't know if all my sisters would agree with you but I would. In truth my technique is pretty flawed still as well. I don't really have many people that I can spar with.”


 


“Hm what about the big one that goes by the name of Mina?”


 


“Hm well in theory she would be a good sparring partner but you probably don't know how strong Mina is. I'm strong for one of my sisters however even I can't safely spar with Mina. She's just too strong and even in being careful she could end up splitting my skull.”


 


“Ah that is something of a problem. Has Mina undergone martial arts training as well?”


 


“She's tried to my knowledge but I've seen her fight and well. Skillful isn't a very good description.”


 


“For lack of ability or something else?”


 


“For lack of an opponent that she can't kill in one punch if she doesn't hold back. Her defense is pretty solid though as at least she can practice evading someone's attacks without hurting them.”


 


“What a strange situation to be in.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


As Pera ran along she had to be mindful of the extra weight on her back. Limbs that would have originally held her with little trouble were now greatly burdened by the heavy load and she had to be careful to avoid limbs that would break. “Come on Gina keep up.”


 


“How about you slow down instead?”


 


“Huh? Why?”


 


“This stuff is heavy that's why and it's slowing me down.”


 


“Huh what are you talking about?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Lenora as she listened to Gina and Pera. “It's because Pera is used to carrying Allen around on her back. She doesn't even notice the extra weight.”

Chapter 17 by happiest_in_shadows

“Um I'm pretty sure Allen doesn't weigh this much.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Lenora as she gave a nod. “I've no doubt that he doesn't but still. You're used to packing around more weight then your own so your body knows how to move with it. While we're struggling to keep up with you.”


 


“Speak for yourselves.” Terima had a wide grin on her face as she looked back at her sisters. “Pera's right you two need to get moving and quit talking so much.”


 


As Pera turned her attention to Terima she couldn't help herself. “Terima be careful it's not like you're packing food.”


 


“It's not a big deal Pera I'm fine.” As Allen held onto Terima's back he felt a little awkward. He was used to being carried by Pera but this was new. However it was part of their agreement. In order for Allen to come along one of them had to carry him. However, it wouldn't have been fair for Pera to be the one as it was by her desire that he was there. So she'd agreed to take on Terima's pack as well as her own so that Allen could come.


 


“Oh alright. Just be careful about sudden stop Terima Allen bruises easily.”


 


“I do not!”


 


Before Pera could respond Terima spoke up. “Don't worry Pera I'm being careful not to injure him. I know I'd have to answer to you and Stella if I did.”


 


“You're darn right. Okay let's get moving we can talk while in motion.”


 


Allen instinctively tightened his grip on Terima as she began to move again. He was a bit surprised whenever he heard her words in his ear though. “Don't worry Allen I won't let you get hurt you're my brother after all and the precious friend of one of my best friends as well as one of my friends.”


 


“Thanks Terima it's just I've never been this far away from the village before it makes me a little nervous.”


 


“Never? What about with your mother?”


 


“Oh well yeah. I've been to the beach with my mother before to play in the sea some. It's just I feel safe with her around.”


 


“I imagine most people feel safe around Stella if they're on her good side.” A slight giggle escaped Terima as she dashed along not really thinking about the various limbs and vines she knocked out of her way to avoid slowing down or hurting Allen.


 


“Ah that's not very nice. My mom isn't a mean or unreasonable person.”


 


“True but she's still a keeper and come on Allen admit it. You know that your mom has a bit of a temper on her.”


 


“Well she can get upset but it's not like the people she gets upset with didn't deserve it.”


 


“True and thus why she was able to earn the status of keeper. Her anger is justified the vast majority of the time.”


 


“I. I just don't see it. I know my mother can get excitable whenever something upsets her but I just don't believe she's short tempered like that.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Pera as she listened to Allen. Of course given that he was Stella's baby he wouldn't be able to see his mother in a negative light. She wasn't going to try to force him to do so either. “So Allen how many days worth the clothing did your mother give you?”


 


“Five.”


 


“Five? Why five?”


 


“A set of clothing for when we make camp tonight and then two days worth the clothing while we're there then some clothes for our return trip.”


 


“Ah I see but Allen. We don't plan to sleep tonight. We planned on running through the night.”


 


“Huh? Oh well that's fine to. It's not like I'm doing anything.”


 


Before anyone else could respond Terima spoke up. “Feel free to take a nap Allen.” As she spoke Terima brought her tail up and pressed it against Allen's back to better secure him. “Just lean your head against my shoulder and take a nice nap.”


 


“Hey stop that!”


 


Allen couldn't help his surprise as he looked at Pera. “What's wrong Pera.”


 


“It's well. If Allen is going to take a nap it's going to be on my back!” It was impossible to keep the energy out of her voice as she responded.


 


Allen felt his skin warming up as he began to blush upon hearing Pera's comment. “I see.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Terima as she considered pushing Pera a little further though chose not to. “Okay Pera how about this. Allen's a good friend of mine and so are you. So when he begins to tire we can swap off. I'll carry what you're packing and you can carry Allen. I'm sure you're more adept at giving him a smooth ride then I am anyway.”


 


There was no hesitation on Pera's part as she nodded her head. “Sounds good. Thanks Terima.”


 


“No problem. Of course, if I'm going to do that for you I'm going to want a favor in return.”


 


“What?”


 


“I'm not certain just yet. I'll let you know later.”


 


“Hm alright just as long as it's not something I wouldn't normally do on ethical grounds.”


 


“Okay. Of course I could always ask you to do something rather embarrassing after all that doesn't involve ethics.”


 


When Pera didn't say anything immediately Allen couldn't help but speak up. “You wouldn't do that to one of your friends would you?”


 


“Oh probably not.” A slight giggle escaped Terima as she turned her head slightly and stuck out her tongue before continuing on her way.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“How are things going over there Alex?”


 


“Just fine Markus aren't you a little worried about leaving now though?”


 


In response Markus gave his head a nod. “Yeah that's why I've chosen to lighten our load and take fewer valuables with us on our departure. The cold season can be quite rough around here and it's going to be a burden having to carry more of our provisions with us. This is about the best time to leave though.”


 


“Are you sure you can be happy with that though? Some of the plants you're having us leave behind would have fetched quite a price.”


 


“Not as much of a price as the one's we're taking. Besides as we move through the forest and closer to safety perhaps we can retrieve others.”


 


“You do have a point there.”


 


As he had been speaking Markus finished wrapping up the package he'd been working on. Inside of it he'd stored several fire crystals to serve as a heat source if they couldn't find a way to start a natural fire. “Be careful that you make sure that package is water tight it has the most important part of our emergency food supply.”


 


A grin formed on Alex face as he looked at Markus. “I'm rapping it up exactly the way you taught me to and made me practice again and again. I really wish that you wouldn't talk like that though. This stuff taste plain terrible.”


 


“Yeah I know but it'll keep you alive that's for certain. It wasn't meant to taste good it was to keep you full and give you the energy you need to keep moving.”


 


“Markus exactly what do you plan to do if we encounter something like the kobolds?”


 


“Become claimed again.”


 


“What!”


 


“You really think they won't send someone to watch us once they realize we're gone? They'll send someone and we'll never know that she's there. Then the moment it's clear that we're going to die and we can't get out of the situation ourselves she'll step in save us and then drag us both back here. We'll go back to working at whatever job they feel like assigning us and have to earn out freedom all over again.”


 


A look of horror had appeared on Alex's face as he looked at Markus. “What are you talking about?”


 


It was impossible for Markus to keep a strait face as he heard the concern in Alex's face. “I'm just joking. You don't believe that weapons training I put you through was for nothing do you?”


 


“I had began to wonder.”


 


“We've got a few items for dealing with such problems. There isn't much we can do if enough of them show up though. That's why we're planning to avoid such confrontations and thus won't be going anywhere near their nesting area.”


 


“I see. So when are we going to leave exactly?”


 


“Just keep yourself rested for the next two or three days. Once I start hearing music coming from the market area we're going to depart.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Are you okay Maria?”


 


“Sure how about you Joseph?”


 


“Yeah I'm fine but don't you feel a little awkward?”


 


“Why would I feel awkward?”


 


In response to Maria's question Joseph reached behind her and took hold of the straps that held the supplies she was packing to her. “How about the few hundreds of kilograms you have attached to your back?”


 


“Ah it's not a big deal. You know how strong we are after all.”


 


“Well I have an ideal of how strong you are but it still seems like it'd be awkward?”


 


“Hm not really. Now I'll tell you what is awkward at least initially. Suddenly going from being able to easily walk through a door to having to worry about banging your head on the frame.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he gave a nod. “Yeah I can see where that would be difficult.” As he finished speaking Joseph leaned more firmly against Maria pressing his head against her shoulder and gave her neck a kiss.


 


For a moment Maria was made to purr as Joseph leaned against her. “Do you like me carrying you like this?”


 


“I'm amazed what all you can use those tails of yours for.” Currently Joseph felt Maria's right arm underneath him and pressing against his side as he leaned against her. Her tail wrapped around his back providing a sort of safety line to keep him from moving about too much while leaving her left arm free to most various obstacles out of her way.


 


“It's something we learn while playing as children normally. Haven't you ever wished that you had a fifth limb to help you do things?”


 


“I might have once or twice but I never could figure out where to put it.”


 


“Mm that is a good question. I suppose that if it was truly another hand and arm it'd be rather awkward to have it on your back like a tail. It wouldn't exactly look very pleasant either.”


 


“I'd have to agree.”


 


“So perhaps full blown four arms?”


 


“Well that would look better then a single arm on just one side or in the middle of your chest.”


 


“Yeah that would be rather strange. Hey Joseph do you think you could pull on the ropes a little bit? Something feels a little loose.”


 


“Sure.” As he spoke Joseph took hold of the ropes and began to tug on them. As he did so he couldn't help but feel they were entirely taught. “Maria these are anything but loose.”


 


“Well yeah they feel that way if you barely pull.”


 


“Barely? I'm pulling as hard as I can.” As he spoke Joseph tightened his grip and leaned back a bit actually pushing against Maria some to try and test the ropes.


 


“Mm alright I suppose it might just be in my head then. So are you interested in meeting the orcs?”


 


“Actually yes I am. I've never really had the chance to speak with an actual orc before though I imagine the ones you have here are a bit different then the ones I've seen before.”


 


“Yeah I guess a lot of the things here are different.”


 


“Hm well the tuskers seem to have the same attitude as anywhere else.”


 


“Really?”


 


“Yeah though the ones in the forest do appear quite a bit larger then the ones I've seen elsewhere. I imagine it's due to having such a healthy environment to grow up within.”


 


“You might be right. Anyway, the beach is just a little further now.”


 


“Already?”


 


“Yep.”


 


“Wow it doesn't feel like we've been traveling for long at all. Though I guess it wouldn't to me considering the fact that you've been packing me this entire time.”


 


“It helps that you've grown used to how fast I like to run as well.”


 


“I'm not sure I have.”


 


“Hm? You don't know how quickly I've been moving?”


 


“You don't know how much I've been looking at the side of your neck or face.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria at this statement. “Well that works just the same. We're about there though I can smell the cooking fires.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“I see. So you're going to be even larger then you are now in just a few short days?”


 


“Yeah. Some of my sisters will be joining us for a celebration on the beach and you're more then welcome to join us.” A slight giggle escaped Kersara as she looked away. “I've actually been planning for this as have my fellow sisters and we've built up a stockpile of food over the last few days. Plus what my sisters will be bringing we've got quite a nice reserve.”


 


“Well none of us are going to turn down a party! Still, I don't want to be the guest that didn't provide anything. We could make use of the rest of our rations. We planned to move quickly so instead of assuming we'd have time to gather from the forest we carried some of our food with us in the beginning. None of us are going to want to eat it though now that we've got the choice of fresh fish and fruit.”


 


“I can understand that.”


 


“The rations may not taste very good though.”


 


“None sense. One thing me and my sisters know is how to take something and bring out its real flavor. It might take some work but we can cook it up real nice like.”


 


“That sounds great Kersara.”


 


Kelah was actually made to jump slightly as she heard an unfamiliar voice and quickly turned to face the newcomer. She relaxed immediately upon seeing Maria though she had to stop a chuckle as she noticed the heavy pack Maria was packing as well as Joseph though she'd already set him down. “Friends of yours that will be joining you I take it.”


 


“Indeed they are. That's quite a pack you're carrying there Maria.”


 


“Joseph thought the same to.”


 


In response Kersara gave a nod. “Kelah this is Joseph and Maria. Joseph was actually saved by Maria whenever he was lost in the forest. Joseph, Maria this is Kelah the orcish war leader in the party.”


 


In response Kelah gave a nod. “Pleased to meet you.”


 


In response Joseph gave a nod. For a moment he said nothing but took a moment to look Kelah over. Immediately he noticed how well defined the orcs muscles were and couldn't help but make a quick comparison to Kersara who was standing right next to her. They seemed similar though he couldn't help but think if they'd been the same scale Kelah's would have been slightly larger. “It's nice to meet you as well. Kelah does being the war leader mean you're the leader of the orcs?”


 


“No that would be my father. Being the war leader means I handle things such as encroachments on our land and other threats that are a little too serious for the regular hunting parties.”


 


Maria gave a sigh as she settled the heavy pack she'd been carrying on the ground. While the load hadn't really burdened her she couldn't fight the desire to stretch as she removed it. “Pera, Gina, Terima and Lenora are all going to be arriving with the rest of the supplies. Have you picked out a location yet Kersara?”


 


“I've got a few ideals. The shore there is rocky so it's not likely that anything will try to make a landing there. At least not in significant numbers.”


 


“That sounds good. So Kelah will you and your orcs be joining us?”


 


“I was just talking about that with Kersara before your arrival. From you response I thought you'd heard our conversation though.”


 


“Just a little bit of it not enough to know exactly what was going on.”


 


“Ah well we'd be happy to join you and your sisters. I'm worried though won't that hinder us from our duties of protecting the beach.”


 


For a moment Maria said nothing but then her lips parted in a toothy grin. “If they're dumb enough to attack us while we're celebrating and allowed to eat as we desire then all they'll do is add to the menu. I've nothing against food that decides to come to me of its own choosing.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kersara as she gave a nod. “I'd have to agree with you Maria. I wonder if Pera and her little friends have ever tasted water kobolds.”


 


“Actually Kersara I haven't ever tasted one.”


 


“Ah well perhaps you'll get to learn.”


 


Instead of showing any signs of horror Kelah were made to grin. “You and your sisters are most assuredly predators. It's no wonder so many of the spirits of the forest show you a begrudging respect especially those of other predators.”


 


Kersara couldn't help but grin as she looked at Kelah. “I'll show you the spot where I plan to set up for our celebration. If you and your allies would like to join us you're welcome to follow.”


 


“May we have a little time first? I pushed them hard on the march here and now that they've eaten I'd like to let them rest.”


 


“That would be..” Maria went silent as she heard a gasp and turned to look at Joseph. Upon turning she was a bit surprised to see a tusker standing next to him apparently examining him.


 


Joseph hadn't noticed Razor walking over to him until the tusker had actually began to sniff at his leg. Now that the animal was there though he didn't know what to do. The tusker didn't seem to intend on attacking him though he didn't want to provoke it. Maria was near by but calling for her help didn't seem appropriate at the moment either.


 


Kelah noticed Joseph tensing up immediately and realized the situation. “Don't worry about Razor there he isn't going to attack you. He's just checking out the new comers to the camp is all he's quite well trained.”


 


“I. I see. Well he startled me I will say that much. So you train tuskers?”


 


“Yeah they're quite intelligent and can be of real help ones properly trained.”


 


“I see. I'm surprised that such a thing can be done considering how dangerous they are.”


 


“Well we can't really do much with the truly wild tuskers. You either have to get them young or there isn't really anything that can be done. Okay Razor that's enough back off.”


 


In response to Kelah's words the tusker looked up at her for a moment and then turned and began to walk away. It didn't really notice the look of relief on Kelah's face nor did it have any ideal of how close to death it'd come with Maria there. Though it had never held any intentions of attacking Joseph it had wondered who the new comer was.


 


It was impossible for Joseph to keep from sighing as the tusker left him. “So that one's name is razor then?”


 


“Yeah he's the alpha of the tuskers we brought with us and I suppose you could call him my pet as well.”


 


“Then you trained him?”


 


“No. I don't have the skills needed to properly train a tusker but I've worked with him for a very long time.”


 


Once things were silent for a few Maria spoke up. “So Kersara have they been any other attacks?”


 


“A few sadly one of them was successful.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“I found a patch of the forest that had clearly been stripped. I can only assume it was by the sea kobolds. Fortunately it wasn't a very big patch but it must have happened while I was away at the main village.”


 


“Well damn it.”


 


“Yeah but let's not talk about that. You came to celebrate with me not work right?”


 


“Ah well that is true.”


 


“Well then let me carry some of that and let me show the spot I have in mind. Kelah we'll come back for you and your orcs later is that alright?”


 


“That's fine. Kersara one thing. My father wanted me to scout the beach for a place in which we could build a village. Do you have any spots in mind?”


 


Upon hearing this Joseph couldn't speak up. “Oh the village they were talking about at the meeting.”


 


Now Kersara turned to Joseph. “You know something about it?”


 


“Yeah it was brought up during the meeting. Most of the brothers were for it though they didn't seem to want to allow three hundred more orcs into the forest.”


 


Now Kelah spoke up. “Oh? Do you know how many they were considering?”


 


“Mirin suggested one hundred and fifty orcs with the possibility of more once the fishing village has proven itself.”


 


For a moment Kelah said nothing but looked at Joseph intently. When she was sure he was being honest a smile formed on her face. “One hundred and fifty huh? That's not a whole lot whenever you consider an entire village but it's sure better then nothing. I believe that we can work with that as long as we stream line some things.”


 


Now Kersara spoke up. “So you believe your father will be happy with that?”


 


“I'm sure he'll be happy for the moment but well hopefully we'll be allowed to increase our numbers even beyond that once the village has been built. Still, it means we have to prove ourselves here.”


 


“I'm sure that won't be a problem for you Kelah. I've seen you orcs in battle and for such fragile beings you're remarkably capable.”


 


Upon hearing the word fragile Kelah raised an eye brow. Of all the words she'd heard to describe orcs fragile wasn't one of them. “Okay now that has to be the strangest thing I've heard in a long time.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“How is he doing Pera?”


 


“He's sound asleep.” As she spoke Pera glanced over her shoulder at Allen who had finally fallen asleep with his head on her shoulder. “How are all of you holding up?”


 


Gina grinned as she spoke. “We're all doing fine. I'm surprised that you're still so energetic after packing two loads for so long.”


 


“Like I told you earlier it really isn't a problem. Are you okay Terima?”


 


“Yeah I'm fine. I can pack this until Allen wakes up and we swap out once again. I still wish we could have stopped a few minutes ago though. We won't see fresh fruit like on the tress we passed up for a long time once the cold weather finishes rolling in.”


 


Lenora spoke up now. “That might be true but I really want to get to the celebration and fill my belly. Won't it be wonderful to have our hunger weakened?”


 


Pera couldn't contain her energy as she responded. “Yeah! It's going to be wonderful. It really was fortunate that Joseph came to live with us wasn't it?”


 


“Yeah especially when you consider the odds of him dieing in the forest. Maria was in the right place at the right time.”


 


To this Pera gave a nod. “Yeah it's actually enough to make me believe luck exist or perhaps we have our own god looking out for us.”


 


“A god that's never spoken to us?”


 


“Ah well does a god always have to speak to those it decides to help?”


 


“Hm I guess not. I mean I've heard stories about priest that could use interesting magic. Ever wonder why we never capture any priest though?”


 


Once again Terima chose to speak up. “Actually we have in the past. My mother said they tend to be trouble makers though. First they try converting the claimed they're working with and then encourage them to rebel against their keeper. Though there was one case I thought was particularly funny. The priest managed to convince the claimed to resist but not with violence. Instead they refused to work and refused to eat.”


 


Pera couldn't help the surprise in her voice. “Huh?”


 


“They didn't fight back violently or anything they just refused to do any work and refused to eat. They just set or lay there like they were going to let themselves starve to death.”


 


“What were they trying to do?”


 


“Apparently they wanted to be released.”


 


“Okay but wouldn't it have made more sense to try to escape?”


 


“I thought as much to but they seemed to believe this was the best way to go.”


 


“So what happened?”


 


“The sisters didn't know what to do. The claimed weren't doing what they were suppose to do but the weren't doing anything deserving of serious punishment either. It got to the point that the keepers actually went to the brothers for a solution.”


 


“Which was?”


 


“Well some just wanted to kill them or let them starve to death while others didn't believe that suited the situation. In the end they made a deal with the claimed. If they would return to work with no further complaint and would work diligently for six months they'd be moved up to rank one status.”


 


Gina couldn't help but speak up as she heard this. “I believe I heard something about that. I wonder why none of the other claimed have done something similar.”


 


In response Terima gave a shrug. “They lack the unity that one priest provided I suppose though I believe some do try. The majority just don't have the fortitude to actually go through with starving themselves to death though it seems. At least not with how they're treated.”


 


“You seem to know a lot about this Terima.”


 


“It's a fun thing to study at times. Did you know that there was one claimed who would actually try to escape two or three times a week?”


 


“Are you serious?”


 


“Yeah. I think his keeper came to consider it a game and even found it amusing after a while. As well she quit punishing him all together for trying to escape as long as he'd gotten his minimum work done for that week.”


 


“What happened to him then?”


 


“Well apparently one escape attempt was more successful then the others but he didn't make it out of the forest. He had gotten out of the safe zone whenever he was attacked by something. Fortunately his keeper heard him screaming as she'd gone looking for him and was able to get to him in time but not after he'd taken some pretty serious injuries. They were severe enough that he lost his ability to run.”


 


“I guess that means whatever got hold of him damaged his leg pretty badly.”


 


“Yeah if I remember correctly it was a tusker. He'd made the mistake of getting between a mother and her piglets and well she'd gotten hold of him when he didn't run fast enough. That was pretty much his last escape attempt though. The funny thing is that according to my father his keeper was actually disappointed whenever he quit trying to escape.”


 


A slight giggle came from all the girls though Pera was the one to speak up. “Do you think he tried to escape just so his keeper would come and catch him again?”


 


In response Terima gave a shrug. “It's possible you know. After his injury he was apparently made into a trusted claimed a few weeks later whenever he set down and explained all the methods of escape he used in detail to his keeper and how she could prevent them.”


 


“Did he ever move beyond that status?”


 


“I'm not sure really. It was a while back whenever my father told me this story.”


 


For a moment Pera was silent then she looked back at her sisters. “Do any of you know a brother that can't really run?”


 


To this Terima gave a shrug. “None of them come to mind though I don't know of any claimed or ranked that can't run either.”


 


“Hold on. If he became a brother wouldn't they fix the damage to his leg so he could run again? I mean even if he wasn't a brother there is a chance he'd get his legs fixed if he earned it. They are brothers that could do it even if the materials needed are costly.”


 


“You have a point there Pera. Still, I wonder who it could be if he became a brother.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


The sun was long gone and Kelah took in a deep breath as she looked up at the moon. Only a quarter could be seen tonight but on the beach she could feel the power flowing from it. It energized her despite her fatigue from the long trip and she stretched her arms towards the moon and had to repress a howl as she felt the mark on her wrist awakening. The mighty wolf spirit was also looking upon the moon this night and felt the energies.


 


“You're awake awfully early or did you sleep?”


 


“Kersara? I could say the same about you. I slept for a while but was awoken.”


 


“Awoken by what?”


 


In response Kelah pointed up towards the sky. “I can feel Luna's gaze upon us at this moment and it feels me with renewed energy.”


 


“You mean you have a contract with the spirit of the moon?”


 


A slight giggle escaped Kelah as she shook her head. “No. Not by any stretch of the imagination have I earned such a place. However, through my dealings with Night Fang I to can take in some of the energies granted by the moon. Have you ever considered the relationship between liken, wolves and the moon?”


 


“I can't say I have. What about it?”


 


“I've thought about it a bit and I've wondered. Were werewolves once wolves that were granted a new form by Luna or where they humans who were granted the strength of wolves?”


 


“I'm afraid you'd need to speak to someone else about that.”


 


“Honestly I doubt anyone knows except Luna herself. I've wanted to ask though. Are you Ken to liken in any regards?”


 


In response Kersara shook her head. “No. We don't draw our power from the same sources, we can't shift forms, our genetic structure is entirely different just to name a few things. Yet you're not the first person to ask us such a question.”


 


“Yeah I suppose that was a silly question on my part.”


 


“Now what I want to know though is are druids in anyway related to werewolves? Just consider the fact that their abilities are both derived from nature though druids don't share the connection with the moon spirits I imagine. They also have similar shape changing abilities.”


 


“Wouldn't the easiest way to find out be to ask a druid?”


 


“You'd think that wouldn't you? In my experience though it's hard to get a strait answer out of them about their abilities that isn't general knowledge.”


 


“I guess they're some things about their teachings they don't want outsiders to know. More of our supplies seems to have finally arrived. You girls are here early.”


 


Pera had a smile upon her face as she emerged from the forest and saw Kersara and Kelah. “Hey there. Hm where are the rest of our sisters that watch the beach? I figured you'd all have gathered by now.”


 


“They're at their regular spots still but they'll be arriving tomorrow with some of the food they've gathered.”


 


An excited giggle escaped Pera as she clapped her hands. “Isn't it wonderful? We actually get to eat until we grow. All of us get to. I wonder what it's going to feel like.”


 


“You know what increasing your food intake is like.”


 


“Yeah but nothing like this. This will be the first time I was allowed to eat enough to cause an instantly noticeable change in my size. I wonder what packing Allen around is going to be like.” As she spoke Pera glanced back at Allen.


 


“Who can say? I will say this though. It's kind of mean to make Terima there pack all your stuff while you give Allen a ride. I'm pretty sure you were the one that wanted to bring him after all.”


 


“Huh? Oh no. Terima and I” Pera didn't get to finish as Terima spoke up.


 


“I'll say it was mean of her! Would you believe she threatened to not let me hang out with them if I didn't pack all of this?”


 


“I did not! I would never do something like that to my friend!”


 


“Not only did she threaten me though but she also threatened my poor pet bird. She said she'd eat him if I didn't help out.”


 


In response to this Pera was made to pout and looked towards Terima. “I did no such thing and you know it.”


 


Before Terima could respond an amused giggle escaped Kersara. Of course she knew Terima wasn't telling the truth. If Pera had indeed made such threats Terima would have undoubtedly been ready for a fight. At the moment though her scent indicated that she was completely relaxed. “That's not what my nose is telling me Terima. If you're going to tell stories like that you're really going to have to work on getting yourself more worked up.”


 


It was impossible for Terima not to grin as a giggle escaped her. “I just wanted to give Pera a hard time.”


 


In response Kersara gave her head a slight nod and walked over to Pera. She didn't say anything as she slipped an arm around Allen and gently lifted him away. “We're setting up further down the beach that way. Why don't you all take your supplies there and begin getting prepared?”


 


In response Pera gave a nod. “Sure thing. Will you bring Allen down once he wakes up.”


 


“I'll be certain to. I'm guessing you traveled all through the night though.”


 


“Yes.”


 


“Let's revise what I said then. Take the supplies and set them down where they'll be safe then get some rest yourselves. I'll wake you all up before you miss anything interesting.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Dinon felt a little awkward as he helped gathering supplies for the celebration. While the orcs didn't have the same restrictions the sisters had they did have to be careful about what they took from the forest. Now he'd been told to gather whatever seemed appealing to them and not to hold back. Even if he wasn't truly gathering much more then normal it still felt awkward to have that restriction lifted and made him a little nervous. He could tell that he wasn't the only one that felt that way.


 


“So how are your studies going Allen?”


 


“Pretty good. We're learning to substitute some of the tougher to find reagents with more common ones we can find within the forest.”


 


“That's neat. So you know that similar physical properties are a good indicator of such compatibility?”


 


To this Allen gave a quick nod. “Yeah. It was kind of neat seeing how corn can be substituted for wheat in many situations and the reverse is true to.”


 


A grin formed on Joseph's face as he heard this. He had expected the brothers to learn using more exotic materials considering what the forest could provide. However, given the situation he realized it was still made more sense to use common plants that could be easily replaced. “I bet you've ran into a few situations where that didn't work out to well though.”


 


“Oh yeah our instructor showed us one. What would have been a potion of bark skin actually became toxic due to the substitution.”


 


“Hm Allen just what do you do with the potions that don't work out like that?”


 


“Um well our instructor let one of our sisters have the toxic one. She said that it tasted good.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “It figures. I guess there is no way a weak potion like that could affect one of them.”


 


Those students with dyed hands had to go through the safety lessons all over again.”


 


“So what did you have to do?”


 


“I just had to practice some basic methods more to improve my speed and coordination. I still get a little nervous though whenever I'm working around flames.”


 


“Oh? Is there any reason why?”


 


“I don't like being burned.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he gave a nod. “I understand that.” For a moment Joseph went silent and looked around for a moment noticing Dinon. It took him a moment to decide to do so but he chose to speak up. “Pardon me but my name is Joseph may I know yours?”


 


“Sure but don't talk formal like that. My name is Dinon.”


 


In response Joseph gave a nod and turned to face Dinon taking hold of Allen's hand and guiding him to stand next so him not wanting to exclude him from the conversation. “If you don't mind I would like to ask you a few questions. I've been wanting to ask them for a while but the sisters didn't really seem the best people to ask.”


 


“Well go ahead.”


 


“When I first entered this forest I was told how dangerous it was and how few people ever make it out. However, you orcs seem to do quite well here and even enjoy the location. Could you perhaps tell me what makes this forest so dangerous?”


 


“Ah well this place isn't really all that dangerous to be honest. You just have to know what you're doing and lets face it most people don't.”


 


“I've heard even experienced hunters have trouble getting through this forest though.”


 


“That wouldn't surprise me but are those hunters alchemist as well?”


 


For a moment Joseph went silent and considered what Dinon had said. Indeed the forest wasn't dangerous just because of the animal life and the layout. The plant life could be quite dangerous here if you didn't know what you were doing. “I see. So to travel here safely I suppose one would have to be both woodsman and herbalist. How do you orcs get by though?”


 


“Well you don't really have to be an alchemist to survive here. You just have to know what plants are dangerous, which ones aren't, what signs to look for and that sort of thing. Most coming into this forest don't know that sort of thing though. From your questions I gather that you're a new comer to the forest though. Surely you can think of at least one mistake you made while here.”


 


“I. I well. I tried to scare some tuskers off with a loud bang.”


 


At first Dinon said nothing but just looked at Joseph. A few moments later a huge grin appeared on his face and he had to struggle to keep from laughing. “Yeah that's a really good way to get yourself killed!”


 


“So I learned. Still I get the ideal that tuskers are pretty smart. When Maria jumped down and let out a roar they ran quickly.”


 


“Tuskers are naturally aggressive and tend to respond to threats by attacking them. However, they are smart animals indeed. The tuskers you encountered most likely have a few or had a few members who had been hunted in the past by the beast people. So they know that they don't stand a chance and know to run when one of them confronts them. However, that's not truly the nature of the tusker to run.”


 


“Yeah so are there any little things you care to warn me about?”


 


“Are you thinking about looking around the forest alone.”


 


“Absolutely not.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Dinon as he gave his head a nod. “From the conversation you and the young one were having. May I know your name over there?”


 


“Sure, I'm Allen.”


 


“I'm pleased to meet you Allen. Okay something that's common sense around these parts. Well don't get too close to the ever sleep fields.”


 


A grin formed on Joseph's face as he gave a nod. “I'm an alchemist I know that much.”


 


“Well then let's see here we should go the path of the woodsman then. It might be easier to travel but don't walk on clearly defined paths. Predators know that prey animals like to travel those paths and if you're on one you're more likely to get picked out.”


 


“That or run into more tuskers.”


 


“Actually, if you know how you can check to see what direction the tuskers are going in if you're lucky and they've been my recent. There is no real risk in traveling very far behind a group of tuskers as most predators will have cleared out.”


 


“That makes sense. Do you use that trick often?”


 


“When I can.”


 


“So what do you do when you find out you were wrong and the tuskers are up ahead?”


 


“If I can turn around and go the other direction. As long as you haven't agitated them like by making a threatening sound they'll let you leave. Just make sure you're not between them and their piglets. Other then that the best suggestion I can give is climb up a tree if a good climbing tree is handy.”


 


“I remember hearing that tuskers are liable to wait you out in such a situation.”


 


“Being waited out beats dieing right away and that's not entirely true. Those people they wait out have done something to really make them angry. Going back to the piglet example for a moment. If a mother tusker catches you with one of her piglets and she gets you up a tree she's going to wait you out. Naturally those males interested in her are going to join in on waiting you out to get in on good terms with the female.”


 


“So how do you save someone that has made such a mistake?”


 


“Typically you have to set a trap for the tuskers or have some way of evading them. That said that's easier said then done. I know one hunter who made such a mistake and ended up a tree. He traveled for several miles from tree to tree despite the dangers before finally coming to a location that he could escape from the tuskers.”


 


“You mean they quit tracking him?”


 


“No. He was able to switch from the trees to landing upon a hill that was too steep for them to climb. He then ran before the tuskers decided to go around the hill and come after him.”


 


“I see but surely they have their limits. After all they have to eat.”


 


“That's true but tuskers are quite capable of munching roots and extremely hardy plants for sustenance. What you said is true for the person up the tree as well after all and the odds are the tuskers will have more food then they do.”


 


“I see your point but what if you should continue your attack while in the tree?”


 


“That's not a good ideal. The tuskers are smart and I've little doubt that they have sense enough to take cover and wait you out. Then once you believe they're gone they run out from the bushes and that's the end of it.”


 


For a moment Joseph said nothing but then a chuckle escaped him. “No wonder tusker meat is so expensive.”


 


“Indeed! Typically we only dine on such things during great celebrations.”


 


“Really then maybe I should go get a few.”


 


Upon hearing the voice Joseph, Dinon and Allen looked up into the trees. Allen was the first to speak up as he looked upon Terima. “Hey Terima are we getting ready to start cooking?”


 


“Indeed we are. Still, after listening to your conversation I'm hungry for some tuskers. If anyone asks tell them I went to find a few.”


 


To this Allen gave a quick nod. “Sure thing.”


 


Dinon could hear the branch bend as Terima jumped off it and noticed the thickness of it. While he couldn't be certain of the exact strength of the branch it at least gave him an ideal of how much forced had been involved in that jump. “It must be a truly terrifying experience to be hunted by one of them.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Kelah couldn't help the look of shock on her face as she took in a deep breath and looked to Kersara. “I can't believe you have the rations we brought smelling that good.”


 


“It took some doing but like I said this is the type of thing we specialize in.”


 


To this Kelah gave a nod and took a moment to look around. In total she guessed there was around twenty to at most thirty sisters gathered on the beach including the ones that had arrived earlier. The fact that this was the entire force that was used to protect the waters and yet they'd succeeded so well was truly astounding. “Kersara, I hope you don't take this offensively but I've seen some of your kind in the forest before. Those of you gathered here look different for the most part for some reason.”


 


Kersara couldn't help but grin as she looked at Kelah. “You noticed huh?”


 


“I believe I have.”


 


“What exactly have you noticed then?”


 


“Those of you gathered here seems more defined physically then the ones I've seen in the forest. It's not as blatant for the others as it is for you but it seems to be the case.”


 


“We were designed to fight in the forest on land. We weren't really meant to fight in the water though so those of us who guard this area have to undergo some special conditioning. After all, what good is chasing them off the land if you can't run an invader down and kill them? It doesn't help that this beach is also one of the furthest points from our main community so the odds of us getting help here are even more greatly diminished.”


 


“I see. So those of you stationed here are particularly powerful.”


 


“It's a necessity to hold the position but that isn't the only reason. It's just that well. We all get really lonely out here or many of us do. So we have to do things to take out minds off how alone we feel.”


 


“I see and exercise helps with that.”


 


“It can.”


 


“Hm perhaps I should let you have one of our elder tuskers to keep you company. He'd need some time to get used to you but I sure you'd find them a pleasant companion.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kersara as she looked at Kelah. “A companion could be amusing to have out here though I don't know how happy the tusker would be. I don't see them out this way. I get the feeling that they don't like the beach.”


 


“From the way Razor and the other tuskers are acting I would agree with you.”


 


“Are they doing alright?”


 


“Yeah they're fine but Razor is moping around.”


 


“Huh? How can you tell?”


 


“He's not running around like he usually does whenever he's not actively guarding something. I tried to get him to wrestle a bit earlier but he didn't want to do that either. He just sort of lay there and huffed until I offered him an apple.”


 


“Did that perk him up?”


 


“Just long enough for him to eat the apple.” A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as she shook her head. “Ah well he'll get over it. He always gets moody whenever I make him go somewhere he doesn't want to go or make him behave. Once I caught him going after some morons that had gotten too close to the piglets. I had to call him down to keep him from killing them. It was a good month before he quit being angry with me.”


 


“Why did he attack them? I thought they were trained to obey.”


 


“Razor knows to obey certain orcs but that doesn't mean he obeys all of them. Only those involved in the training of tuskers are generally allowed around the piglets unsupervised. Razor knows this and he didn't know them so he knew something strange was going on. So he did what he was trained to do and protected our resources assuming that the two orcs that shouldn't have been there to begin with were up to something.”


 


“Were they?”


 


In response Kelah gave a nod. “Yeah they were apparently going to take the tusker as a sort of joke or that's what they claimed. There was probably more to it then that but they claimed they didn't mean to cause any harm.”


 


“What did you do?”


 


“I took them to the master trainer sense it was his tuskers they were messing with. As an elder he's capable of dealing out punishment just as much as I am.”


 


“So what was the punishment?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as a grin formed on her face. “It was very shitty. They had to clean out the tusker poop pins for several months, had to help in gathering the feed for the tuskers, maintain their regular duties and received a minor flogging.”


 


For a moment Kersara said nothing but then she chuckled. “Sounds like something we might do honestly. So just what is tough about gathering tusker feed?”


 


“Okay well I'll put it this way. Tuskers like Razor love apples and other fruit but that's not really what they're meant to eat. Just thinking about it. How are they going to get those apples down? There isn't really much they can do but they're very well suited to digging up roots, tubers and other things. Now our tuskers naturally get a sprinkling of fruit in their meal but they still need the hardier stuff wild tuskers eat to stay healthy.”


 


“I can see where that could be a lot of work. Mm.” After a moment of silence Kersara retrieved another spoon and filled it with the soup she then offered it it to Kelah. “Give this a taste and see what you think.”


 


At first Kelah wasn't certain what to think of Kersara's actions being far from used to being asked to try new foods. Instead of arguing though she took hold of the spoon handle and took it from Kersara's hand. There was no hesitation on her part as she consumed the contents though she chewed slowly to get the taste. “It's quite good actually. I'm surprised you did this with our rations. When does the party really begin though?”


 


“It begins just as soon as we're done cooking and the food has been set up. Once the celebration begins I doubt any of us are going to want to take the time to cook more. At least not for a while.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Joseph had eaten with the sisters before but now as he set on the sandy beach and looked towards the ocean for a moment he could feel something in the air. Maria's food was before her but she hadn't eaten any of it yet. None of the sisters had even Pera and her friends seemed to be setting quietly. This apparently made the orcs uncomfortable as well as they watched the sisters. “Maria what is going on?”


 


“Huh?”


 


“None of you are eating?”


 


“Oh.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she gave a nod. “We're just taking a moment.”


 


“For what?”


 


“To realize that we're about to eat until we feel our bodies beginning to grow. It's quite a moment.” As she spoke Maria reached down and took hold of the shell which held her soup. She lifted it to her mouth but didn't consume it. Rather she took a moment to inhale then turned her attention to Kersara who seemed focused on some ribs. Kersara seemed to feel Maria's eyes on her.


 


Instead of eating right away Kersara chose to stand and speak up. “Before we begin I feel that I should say something. Rare are these moments when we get to knowingly increased our size. Very rare indeed as many of us will experience them less them five times within our life time. On this day though we all get to move closer to what we once were thanks to our brothers efforts our own and thanks to yours Joseph. As it was your life bloom that has allowed this day to come so much sooner I just want to say and I'm sure we all do. Thank you for coming to be part of our community.”


 


It had actually caught Joseph off guard whenever Kersara thanked him. The extra attention was quite surprising and it made him feel a bit bashful. So he said the only thing that he could think of. “You're all very welcome thanks for giving me such a wonderful and safe home.”


 


In response to this Kersara gave a nod. “Now then. Let's eat!”


 


Joseph truly wasn't prepared for the sound of all the sisters suddenly sinking their teeth into various types of food. It actually sounded like a roar and nearly made him jump. Apparently the orcs had responded similarly. As he took a moment to look around he was surprised to find that the only person other then the sisters who was eating was Allen. This brought a grin to his face as he tore away a piece of bread and began to mix it in with his stew.


 


Allen had learned a long time ago to eat slowly and enjoy the company of his sisters. As he watched them eating though he didn't believe this was a time for conversation. This actually made him somewhat nervous and he began to look around for someone to talk to. They were several orcs within earshot but he didn't know any of them and Joseph was too far away to comfortably speak to. Before he could really settle on what to do though he felt something brush against his back and turned around to find Pera's tail gently rubbing against him. This made him smile and he began eating again.


 


Despite her desire to eat Pera had noticed Allen's discomfort and moved to comfort him. She would happily speak with him the moment her stomach was a little fuller. As she ate though she had to remember to leave Allen's food untouched or she'd end up eating it all as well as her own. As she and her sisters ate they paid no attention to bones or fruit skins that would normally require pealing. Their teeth tore through both with supreme ease as they filled their stomachs.


 


Kelah was uncertain what to think but after a while began to eat her food as well. As she did she found the others orcs were joining in with her. Apparently they'd been uncertain as to what they should do until they saw her eating as well. As she ate though Kelah made it a point to use her knife to retrieve most of her food for fear of losing a hand to one of the beast girls that were setting near by. Indeed it was quickly becoming clear why so much food was piled up within arms reach of each individual. They didn't want to stop eating even to stand up.


 


Maria quickly placed her bowl back upon the table the moments the contents was empty and reached out taking hold of too massive fruit. She didn't bother removing the bitter outer layer as she bit into each but took a moment to throw some salt inside the fruit the moment the opening had been made. What she didn't notice was that as she bit into the fruit a large stream of juice erupted from it and splashed Joseph on the side of his head.


 


Joseph didn't know what was happening as his face was assaulted by the fruit. There was a slight stinging in his eye and he turned to see what Maria was doing. As he cleaned off the juice though he grinned despite the pain and moved a bit to shelter himself from further assaults. Clearly Maria and indeed all the sisters were more focused on eating then anything else.


 


As Dinon looked around he turned to Kelah. “I believe we should eat fast or there's not going to be anything left.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as she looked at the sisters. “Are you sure you want to do that?”


 


“Well I don't want to be the one left hungry.”


 


“Oh so you want to be the one that ate all of their food while they're still hungry?”


 


“Um well no. I don't want that either.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as she shook her head. “Don't worry what you see before you is hardly the beginning. I was wondering why they were making so much earlier but I know why now. They're several items still being slow cooked though.”


 


To this Dinon gave a nod. “I don't know how they're fitting it all in there. I believe the four little ones have already eaten more then I could.”


 


“Strong stomachs I suppose.” As she spoke Kelah reached across and swiped one of the thicker fish fillets off Dinon's plate.


 


“Hey! That was mine!”


 


Before continuing Kelah took a big bite of the fish. “Was is right. I finished mine while you were talking and wanted another.”


 


“Well why didn't you just get one from the mane plate?”


 


“I don't want to risk losing a hand.”


 


A sigh escaped Dinon before he got a rather large spoonful of food and began to shovel it down. Thoughts of conversation went away as he grew determined to stop Kelah from getting anymore of his food even if he had to eat it all at once.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“They're still going at it.”


 


In response to Joseph's comment Allen gave a nod as he looked out over the water while setting on the beach. “This is pretty normal for such celebrations actually. When they do the same thing in a few hours that is what's going to be strange.”


 


“So they can eat like this without growing?”


 


“Once in a while yes. Normally such feast means a longer time without eating and eating smaller amounts so their bodies don't begin to grow. If a sister eats like that several times though over several days their bodies will begin to adapt.”


 


“Yeah I've been told as much. So how fast do they grow anyway?”


 


To this Allen gave his head a slight shake. “I don't know. Hey Joseph would you mind if I asked you a kind of personnel question.”


 


“Go right ahead.”


 


Instead of asking right away Allen looked towards Pera for a moment then back to Joseph. He felt his cheeks warming up and he looked back out over the water. “What it's like to be with a female that's weaker then yourself?”


 


“Huh?”


 


“Our sisters are so much stronger, faster and more durable then us brothers. What is it like to have females weaker then yourself around though?”


 


“Hm I guess that's something you've never experienced. Well I'm not sure if I can completely explain it but in some ways it's more difficult.”


 


“How so?”


 


“Our sisters are strong beautiful beings and they know it and thus they have nothing against showing it. At least that's what I've seen. So they have no trouble showing you how they feel about you. Where I come from though many feel that the man should be the one to approach the woman.”


 


“Um that's really strange.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph before speaking. “Well it would be to you. Also as men are the stronger we're the ones that are expected to protect the woman.”


 


“I see. So the women do all the studying to become mages and alchemist while the men are warriors?”


 


“Now if that was the case would I be an alchemist?”


 


“If you were a girly man you would be.” Allen couldn't help but grin as he noted the look on Joseph's face.


 


“You've got a bit of a mouth on you don't you? Anyway, no that's not the way things are. Often the women are just expected to stay home and take care of the home.”


 


“Huh? If they don't provide anything though how are they going to be treated as equals?”


 


“In many cases they aren't.”


 


Instead of responding right away Allen glanced back at Pera. “I don't like how that sounds. Even if I can never protect Pera I can help make sure she's well fed and comfortable.”


 


“Well keep in mind Allen the entire world isn't like this. They're a great many cultures out there. Honestly though your culture surprised me.”


 


“How?”


 


“Well it's surprising that in a culture with such a vast difference between the abilities of the males and females neither has tried to enslave the others.”


 


“Our sisters wouldn't do that to us we care about each other too much.”


 


“Are you sure that extends to all of them?”


 


Part of Allen really wanted to say yes but before he could a few names flashed into his mind. “Well most of them.”


 


Immediately Joseph noticed the change in the tone of Allen's voice. “Allen is something wrong?”


 


“Yeah just some scary memories.”


 


“What happened?”


 


“I can't remember it all but, I remember hearing my mother speaking to some sisters once. She told them that if she ever caught them near me or their scent on me she'd break their necks and well from the tone of her voice. Well I know that she meant it.”


 


“Did that scare you?”


 


“I was scared of them.” For a moment Allen once again went silent. “I think I remember them but I can't be sure.”


 


“Do you believe they're still around.”


 


Despite focusing on her food Pera had been listening to Allen and Joseph the entire time. Throughout it all she'd been growing more angry as she knew exactly who Allen was speaking about and the thought made her fight to keep her claws retracted. She had even slowed down how quickly she was eating a fact that her three friends had noticed as well. It was Terima's voice that got to her though.


 


“Don't worry about it Pera none of us would let those bitches around Allen.”


 


“I don't see why they're allowed to live.”


 


“Come on Pera they they are only slight older then us. You weren't nearly as responsible as you are now back then either.”


 


“I didn't do anything like those two! They didn't even show remorse.”


 


“Come on Pera relax. This is a happy time just enjoy your food an think of fun things to do with Allen once we've eaten all we can.”


 


“Yeah you're right Terima.”


 


After a while of silence Allen once again spoke up. “So are the girls in the outside world as pretty as the ones we have here.”


 


“Ah well Allen beauty is in the eye of the beholder.”


 


“Well do you think our sisters are prettier.”


 


“Actually I do.”


 


“So what was the biggest city you've ever been to?”


 


“That would have to be the capital of the gale kingdom.”


 


“What was it like?”


 


“Buildings everywhere and paved streets. A lot of people compacted into a relatively little space such that at times you felt like you were having trouble breathing. I spent most of my time in my study though working on the life bloom.”


 


“Joseph about that. You worked on the life bloom for the Gale kingdom right?”


 


“Yes I did.”


 


“So they financed your research?”


 


“To an extent yes.”


 


“Well then.” For a moment Allen went silent and bit his lip. “Doesn't that make you a thief?”


 


For a moment Joseph felt like he'd been struck by a rock. Instead of getting upset though he gave a sigh. “In some ways I suppose that I am. After all they paid for my research as well as my room and bored.”


 


“Then didn't they have a right to the life bloom?”


 


“Allen let me ask you this. You're making a potion for someone that you believe will cure your sisters of some illness. However, you find out during your research that if misused the potion will serve as more of a poison then a cure. Yet the person who hired you still insist on you making the potion and giving it to them. Would you?”


 


“I could never do anything like that.”


 


“Well that was my situation with the life bloom. I suppose that perhaps there is a debt for me to repay to the Gale kingdom however it's not like I never contributed anything to them.”


 


“What else did you contribute?”


 


“The research I submitted before my departure.”


 


“What else did you work on for them?”


 


“Well my specialty is in modifying already existing life forms. I helped develop a new means for them to create strengthening potions for their soldiers using certain mushrooms. The end product was somewhat weaker then a fully refined strengthening potion but much cheaper.”


 


“How much cheaper?”


 


“Well they were ten percent weaker on average then a standard strengthening potion. However, they only cost one third of the price to produce. I also worked on some things though that honestly I wish I hadn't.”


 


“Like what?”


 


A sigh escaped Joseph as he looked at Allen. “I worked on things that are better suited for taking lives them saving them. I helped develop potions that could be loaded into a container and thrown over a castle wall to poison dozens of people at once. War leads humans to make some pretty unpleasant things.”


 


“Where they your projects?”


 


“No at the time I was working under a senior alchemist.”


 


After a few moments of silence Allen gave a nod. “Our teacher told us that the knowledge to save lives and the knowledge to take lives are closely interwoven. You can't learn to save someone without learning a means to kill them if you truly understand it. Good or ill depends on the way that knowledge is used.”


 


“I'd agree with your teacher. So Allen what do you hope to do whenever you're no longer learning?”


 


“Um hm. Well I know that I want to help end our sister's hunger. That is if you haven't ended it by the time I begin working seriously. I'm not sure exactly how I would like to go about it though. Perhaps I could help revive our tries to develop an energy distribution system that didn't make use of food.”


 


“I believe I spoke to some of your brothers about that earlier. What has your instructor told you about it?”


 


“They talked about how difficult it was to make magical items that could receive the energy that wouldn't degrade while exposed to our sisters. It can be done we know that it's just hard.”


 


“So you'd like to try to make magic items that stable?”


 


“Yeah. It's a shame we don't have more silver.”


 


“True it does make extremely stable magical items.”


 


“Hey Joseph, you said that you developed a way to make magic potions more cheaply then normal even if they are weaker. Could they help us?”


 


For a moment Joseph was silent but it only took a moment of consideration for him to answer. “No. The materials needed to make them in bulk aren't readily available in the forest. For you they'd not only be weaker then what you're using but they'd also be more expensive.”


 


It was impossible for Allen to keep from frowning as Joseph told him this. “It isn't fair. We're honest and don't hurt the people that live outside the forest if they don't try to take it from us. So why can't we have trading partners like we did in the past?”


 


“When was the last time the brothers and sisters tried?”


 


“I really don't know. I remember my mother talking about it though and how every time they've tried something has gone horribly wrong. In the best case scenarios the people start pushing the sisters for more goods and they just cut off trade relationships. In others they try to take the forest by force.”


 


Before Joseph could respond a sudden noise got his attention. It only took him a moment to realize that it was the sound of drums being plaid and he turned to see where the others had been setting. What he found was that many of the sisters had gotten up from the mostly empty table and began to move around as had the orcs. It took him a moment amongst the shuffle to find the player and he was a bit surprised to see Maria setting down amongst five drums of various sizes playing away. It wasn't his only surprise though as he saw several sisters standing around her.


 


As Kersara swung her hips she placed her hands on her thighs and moved them slightly down their length. Flexing the muscles in her legs, arms and stomach as she did so showing how well developed they were. As her hands moved down her knees bent but her hips continued to sway until her hands ran over her thighs and then she began to stand up once again. Her fingers traveling the outside of her legs to press against her stomach as she moved them upwards. Her right foot shifted ever so slightly and she began to turn swaying her hips the entire time with the music.

Chapter 18 by happiest_in_shadows

Every sister that had chose to dance to the music was following a similar pattern to Kersara though there was enough variation to tell they weren't all doing the same dance. What quickly became apparent though and surprised Joseph even more was the fact that the sisters were dancing in an extremely tight area. There motions were quite slow and methodical while every muscle in their body seemed to be flexing and moving as if trying to display itself.


 


Even as Joseph watched Maria and the others sisters Allen had began looking for Pera. He found her doing a dance similar to Kersara's though her's was actually more refined then her elder sisters. Instead of standing up to join Allen turned and watched carefully. Apparently everyone was watching carefully.


 


Kelah had a grin on her face as she watched the sisters dance. It didn't take her long to realize that none of the orcs were dancing though despite the music. “Come on this is suppose to be a celebration let's dance as well.”


 


It took Dinon a moment to realize Kelah was speaking with him and he gave his head a slight shake. “No. I don't believe so. I don't know how to dance anyway.”


 


“Oh surely you can do some festival dances.”


 


“The thing about the festival dances is we get to where masks and pretend no one recognizes who you are so it doesn't matter if you have two left feet.”


 


A sigh escaped Kelah as she shook her head and stood up. “Get up and dance with me or you're going to be my only sparring partner in the morning.”


 


Dinon didn't need to hear a word more as he more jumped out of his seat and came to stand beside Kelah. As embarrassing as his dancing skills were the ideal of being Kelah's sole morning sparring partner was not a pleasant one at all. That was a superb way to insure you'd be nursing bruises for many nights to come. “Hm you know what. I'll dance with you then but come tomorrow I'm going to spar with you one on one and show you that you shouldn't underestimate me like that.”


 


While Kelah hadn't been surprised by Dinon standing up his words had surprised her a great deal. Instead of worrying though she was made to grin. “Feeling confident are you?”


 


“You're not the only one that's been improving around here. I've learned a few new things.”


 


“Such as?”


 


Instead of responding verbally Dinon held his hand up with the palm facing the sky. Moments later small lights flickered at the tip of each of his fingers and then quickly converged into the center of his palm forming into a much larger fireball. “Like this for example.”


 


“You found a fire spirit to contract with!”


 


“Indeed I have.”


 


“Congratulations Dinon! That really is wonderful!” An excited giggle escaped Kelah as for a moment she forgot about being intimidating but instead was delighted by her friends success. “I can't wait until tomorrow then.”


 


Dinon felt like he'd been smacked. While he'd hoped to humble Kelah or get some concern from her instead he'd only made her more excited. She would undoubtedly be expecting to see every new trick he'd learned and probably continue beating on him until he had shown her all of it. His grin didn't fade away but it did shift position as he suddenly felt rather foolish. “Um sure thing Kelah.”


 


“Until then let's dance.”


 


As Maria played the drums she had to be careful to control her speed. While she hadn't mentioned it to Joseph she had been practicing as of late in an attempt to get her speed under control. She'd actually destroyed several sets of drums by hitting them too hard but she'd finally learned to keep her arms under control. Now she didn't have to focus quite so intently so that she took a moment to look towards Joseph. She was quite happy to see him watching her.


 


Joseph didn't take his eyes off Maria even as she turned her gaze towards him. Instead of just setting there though he stood up and began to make his way over to her. As he did so he gave the sisters a wide area as while they were moving in a relatively confined space he didn't want to risk that changing. “Wow Maria you're really great at that.”


 


“Thanks. Well take a seat.”


 


In response Joseph gave a nod and took a seat a bit away from Maria. As he did so he noticed something else though. “Are you using your tail to play!”


 


To this Maria gave an amused giggle and a nod. “Indeed I am. It helps get in a few extra beats or lets me play three drums at once.”


 


“Okay how long did it take you to teach your tail to move like that?”


 


“Oh that's nothing special really. We all learn the basics while we're growing up during play.” Even as she was speaking Maria continued to enjoy playing the drums before her. While she hadn't mentioned it to Joseph they had actually been the main reason her pack was so bulky even though she'd broken them down a bit before traveling.


 


Kelah was aggressive in nearly everything Dinon could think of. This extended to her fighting style, her leadership, her work and even into her dancing. So that as Dinon moved with Kelah he knew to keep his body loose and allow her to take him as she desired. After all he didn't want to risk having his arm pulled out of joint during a particularly aggressive motion. As they danced though he noticed several of the others orcs seemed be joining in while others continued to watch and chat. A few apparently were even leaving to go to sleep perhaps the wisest orcs they had amongst their numbers.


 


Pera had noticed Joseph leaving and had taken this time to move over to Allen. As she neared him she gave his nose a quick flick with her tail causing him to sputter and fall backwards. “Hey Allen. Dance with me okay?”


 


A grin formed on Allen's face as he stood up and took hold of Pera's hand. They then walked back to where the others had began to gather. He wasn't nearly as experienced as Pera with dancing but he knew enough of the basics so that as she began to move he moved with her. Instead of remaining within the tightly confined space she had before though Pera began to move about using Allen as her guide line such that at no time was her body more then a few centimeters away from his even as she flexed and moved about.


 


While Joseph was enjoying speaking with Maria he couldn't help but notice Pera and Allen and his immediate thought was concern such that he looked towards Maria. “You um have a few interesting dancing style.”


 


“You believe so?”


 


“Yeah but um are you sure it's appropriate for such young children to be dancing like that?”


 


For a moment Maria wasn't certain what Joseph was talking about until she noticed Pera and Allen and a giggle escaped her. “What? She's just showing off her body to the one she favors most.”


 


“At that age?”


 


“Sure! It's good for a young sister to be proud of her body and know how to show it off.”


 


“What about the brother?”


 


“Well they might as well begin learning to move along with us so that we don't hurt them at an early age.”


 


For a moment all Joseph did was look at Maria. “Are you serious?”


 


Once again Maria was made to giggle as she gave a nod. “Don't worry about it they're not doing anything. It must be tough having to rely upon your eyes so much to determine what's really going on.”


 


“What do you mean?”


 


“Often your nose will tell you someone has a bad ideal well before your eyes do and your eyes have a tendency to be tricksters.”


 


“So you can smell their intent?”


 


“Pretty much. They aren't giving off a scent that would indicate they're planning to do something they shouldn't though.”


 


As Kersara moved she'd began to worry Maria was going to destroy her drums as she'd been speeding up the pace she was playing. After a while that fear faded though due to Kersara recognizing the beat. This still prompted her to break away from the group though and she began to move through the dancers getting the attention of various orcs and sisters. “Pardon but would you mind helping me check on our next dishes?” The question got a positive response from every sister she asked and the orcs seemed willing to help though that might have been more due to who was asking then what was being asked.


 


Allen had began practicing to dance with Pera as a form of exercise. The range of motions he had to endure insured that muscles which would have rarely seen much use otherwise got some good exercise. As he danced with her though he wondered if she had alternative motives even back then. Technically her body was never supposed to touch his but every once in a while he'd feel something bump into him and it was very rarely her tail or a part of her body that could just be ignored. “Hey Pera do you think you could eat a little more now?”


 


It actually surprised Pera to here Allen ask such a question. Not because there was anything wrong with it but the ideal that a sister was being asked if she could eat more was quite strange. “I believe that I can though I did stuff myself pretty good back there. Though not much more. Wow. I never thought I'd say that.” As she finished speaking an amused giggle escaped Pera. “I might not ever get to say it again honestly though.”


 


“Come on then.” As he spoke Allen took hold of Pera's hand and began to gently pull her along. Before he could move far though he felt something from his legs from under him and felt Pera's arms take hold of him.


 


“If it's something that interesting we should move faster then your legs can.”


 


Maria was smiling as she looked at Joseph who seemed quite focused on her. “Hey Joseph would you mind coming with me?”


 


“Sure but where to?”


 


“You'll see.” As she spoke Maria glanced over to two of her sisters. One of which came over to her and set down next to her while wearing an extremely wide grin.


 


Joseph didn't think the music had stopped for an instant as the new comer took over for Maria and Maria stood up though he felt certain he'd notice a difference if he stayed and listened. He didn't have time to think about such things as Maria took hold of his hand and began to lead him away from the main celebration. As they were walking away though he noticed a string instrument of some kind had joined in with the drums. No doubt the second sister Maria had signaled had joined in with the one who had taken over the drums.


 


As Joseph followed Maria towards the forest he was a bit surprised whenever she stopped and picked up a neatly rolled container. Though he wasn't certain what was inside of it he noticed how the shape deformed slightly whenever she lifted it up. One thing he did notice though was that her tail seemed to be lifting higher then it normally did. There was however several things that he didn't notice consciously which were having a very notable affect upon him.


 


“So Joseph did you enjoy your meal?”


 


“Yeah though I was a little worried about losing my hand a few times though.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she glanced back at him. “Well don't worry. We have some brothers that specialize in replacing lost limbs and especially hands and fingers.”


 


For a moment Joseph felt somewhat hesitant to return to the dining table. “I see and exactly how often does that happen?”


 


“Oh. We only lose one or two hands at every major feast.”


 


“Maria you're joking right?”


 


“Maybe.”


 


“Maria!”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she glanced back at Joseph. “Of course I'm kidding!”


 


For a moment Joseph was made to sigh and he gave his head a slight shake. “ Okay be honest. Has anyone actually lost a hand?”


 


“Well my mom told me all sorts of stories and what happened to the sister who accidentally ate a brother's hand. However, I think they were just stories to get me to be careful.”


 


“You know I wonder what kind of stories your mother used to tell you.”


 


“Would you like to hear some of them later?”


 


“I believe I would.”


 


It was odd but as Joseph said this Maria couldn't help but grin. “Really? You'd like to know our children stories?”


 


“Of course I want to know as much about your culture as I can.”


 


“Then could you tell me some of your children stories?”


 


“I'd be happy to though I'm afraid I don't remember most of them.”


 


“How come?”


 


“I just don't remember them very well is all.”


 


“Didn't your mother tell you stories before bed though?”


 


In response Joseph gave his head a slight shake. “I never really needed her to tell them to me. I remember whenever I was first beginning to read she and my father would read to me or help me read but once I could read on my own well. I never read children stories myself though as there just aren't that many written.”


 


“Joseph could you tell me something about your family? I can't help but wonder if you miss them at times. Actually I wonder that about all the brothers who chose to stay here.”


 


A sigh escaped Joseph before speaking. “I got used to not seeing them a long time ago Maria. My work took me away from home and it was hard to keep in touch with them.”


 


“Then why did you choose to stay here?”


 


“Because I love you more then I love them and if I had to be without one or the other I would rather be without them.”


 


In response to Joseph's comment Maria could feel herself blushing though her fur hid it. “Thank you. Would you like to take a trip out of the forest once this is all over and abduct them though?”


 


“I don't believe they'd appreciate that.”


 


“Well not at first I'm sure but I bet they could come to like living here. That way you could be with me and still see your parents.”


 


“No I think that would be going a bit far.”


 


“You're probably right.” As she finished speaking Maria lightly tossed the bundle she had been packing against a near by tree. She then quickly spun around and wrapped her arms and tail around Joseph pulling him firmly against her body and pressed her lips against his.


 


Joseph was a bit surprised by Maria's actions but made no move to resist. Rather he returned the kiss and wrapped his arms around her. As he kissed her back he felt Maria beginning to rub her thigh against his and could feel his body responding to her touch. Before he realized he'd done it he also felt his right hand resting upon her thigh lightly squeezing the muscle.


 


Maria held Joseph for only a short while then released and stepped back. Despite how brief the kiss had been though she was breathing heavily. “Joseph if you don't mind would you unwrap that satchel while I go take care of something? I promise it won't take long.”


 


While he wasn't certain of what Maria was intending to do Joseph had no doubt that he'd enjoy it so he gave his head a quick nod. “Sure thing.”


 


“Thanks I'll be right back.” With those words Maria quickly pranced away extending her claws as she did so and moved them towards her chest.


 


It was possible that Maria was just teasing him. Joseph was quite open to that ideal as he walked over to the package. Still he felt confident he knew what was inside of the package and he opened it and began to unravel the material. His belief was soon confirmed as he began to unfold the mattress and lay it out. The material wasn't exactly what he'd call soft as it was firm enough to protect them from the forest floor but it had enough give in it to be comfortable. He was a bit surprised how big of an area the mat covered though as he unfolded it.


 


A concern did come upon Joseph though as he looked around at their surroundings. He'd never considered being with Maria in the open forest and it made him nervous. “Maria are you certain we're far enough away from everyone?”


 


“I've been listening carefully this entire time Joseph you and I are plenty alone.”


 


In response to Maria's words Joseph turned his gaze towards the trees and tried to find her. Then he felt something sharp pressing against his back ever so slightly and running down it. He knew immediately what it was and held entirely still as Maria cut his shirt open. “You're going to have to quit destroying my clothes like that you know.”


 


“Oh don't be fussy I don't do it often and I brought some spares for you.” Upon opening up Joseph's shirt Maria stepped and leaned forward pressing her breast firmly against his back. She then brought her head forward and gently kissing the side of his neck.


 


With Maria's claw removed Joseph finally turned around. He was a bit surprised by what he found though as his gaze fell upon Maria's chest. Her nipples were perfectly exposed the fur that regularly covered them having been cut away. It actually caught him by surprise such that for a moment he found himself unable to say anything until he heard Maria giggling.


 


“Well do you like it?”


 


“It's nice but why?”


 


For a moment Maria said nothing but reached and brushed her hand against Joseph's face. “Because this is the last time you're going to see me at this size.”


 


Maria's words hit Joseph hard and for a moment he said nothing but looked up into her eyes. She stood three meters these days such that his head barely came up to her breasts. When she grew again she'd be like Mina. “You have to bend at the knees just to press your breasts against me like you did before.”


 


“Not exactly this works to.” With those words Maria reached down and lifted Joseph up hugging him against her chests as she did so. She was quite happy whenever she felt Joseph's arms wrap around her neck.


 


“If you grow too much I'm liable to get lost between those.”


 


“Wouldn't that be nice though?”


 


“I suppose it would.” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph for a moment and he leaned forward giving Maria a kiss on her cheek which quickly became a kiss upon the lips as she adjusted her head.


 


Maria couldn't remove the smile from her face if she wanted to as she broke the kiss and walked over to the bedding Joseph had lain out. As she settled herself down she made it a point to place Joseph atop her so that they were looking into one each others eyes. He didn't even seem to notice as she took hold of the button that held his pants on and opened them up even when she began to remove them it took him a few moments to respond.


 


It still felt strange to be out in the open in such a state of undress but Joseph couldn't really worry about such things. He was too focused on Maria and her smiling face. As she slipped off his pants though he finally turned his face away from hers and brought his lips down upon her right breasts. As he kissed her exposed nipple he could feel it responding and swelling under his lips as he began to lightly suck upon the warm flesh. At the same time he felt Maria's massive hand come to rest upon his back and felt her lips press against his head.


 


Joseph had improved a lot sense she'd met him. Their regular runs in the morning had been wonderful for toning up his body and his stomach had slimmed down nicely. As Maria felt his muscle tone she was made to smile feeling certain she'd helped improve her mates health. The visual improvements were an extremely nice bonus to the deal as well as was the increased stamina for when they were together.


 


While Joseph lightly sucked upon Maria's right breast his left hand reached out and pressed against the top of her left. He was made to stop his efforts for a moment though as he felt Maria's tail brush up against the inside of his legs and press against his crotch for a moment. The warmth of that tail seemed to have increased from moments later and it took him by surprise for a moment. Fortunately Maria's hands pressing against his back reminded him that he had a rather large lady to take care of.


 


There was a slight thrill to how Joseph's body locked up whenever Maria brushed her tail against the inside of his thighs. It made her excited to see how much of an effect even such slight motions could have upon him. “Joseph you should be able to hear your heart beating right now.”


 


“Why?”


 


“I think you'd be surprised. It's really racing.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he brought his lips away from Maria's nipple and lowered his head down between her breasts. As he did so he began to kiss either side of those massive globes. “I don't believe that's necessary I can feel it. Yours isn't exactly beating lightly though.”


 


“No it isn't.” With those words Maria wrapped her tail around Joseph's right thigh and gave it a gentle squeeze. It wasn't enough to hurt him but enough to let him know his leg was being squeezed. She felt his leg tighten up in response to this as she tested the muscle to see how far it had come. Even as she tested his muscles though Maria was glad Joseph didn't stop as he she felt him using both arms to squeezes her breasts. “Do you like how they feel?”


 


“They feel wonderful Maria. So Maria whenever you first lay with me what did you honestly think of my body?”


 


“Way to fatty.”


 


It was impossible Joseph not to chuckle upon hearing Maria's honest response. “Well isn't that nice.”


 


“I don't ever want to lie to you so I shouldn't lie about something so minor.” As she spoke Maria reached down and pressed her hands into Joseph's side. “You're far more toned now though.”


 


“Well thank you miss.” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he looked at Maria's face then on an impulse he gave the inside of her cleavage a kiss. Then raised himself up and began to lower himself back down. As Joseph moved down he was careful to take his time. He would give each breast a kiss at roughly the same level before lowering himself every so slightly.


 


A sigh escaped Maria as she felt Joseph's kisses landing on her breasts. She could feel his erection beginning to press into her and she was made to grin. Once she put on an additional meter he'd have an even harder time reaching her crotch and breasts at the same time. Soon she imagined he'd need to use his toes if he was going to work both regions of her body at once. She didn't get to comment on this though as Joseph moved his leg up and pushed his knee against her crotch. A sharp gasp escaped Maria and Joseph looked up at her.


 


“You trimmed your fur down there as well.”


 


“Mmhmm I did say this was a special occasion.”


 


Instead of responding with words Joseph lowered his face once again and kissed the base of Maria's breasts. His right hand lifted up and began to massage the top of that massive orb while he began to work his leg against her crotch. He could hear Maria's breathing speeding up and felt certain that he could feel her heart beating. As he worked he could feel his own skin growing damp as Maria's petals were whetted.


 


There was no way Maria was going to remain still and let Joseph take complete charge. Instead she brought her tail up and began to rub it gently along his crotch and move it about his shaft while he used his leg to work her petals. At the same time she reached down and placed three of her fingers against Joseph's side. Her claws were made to extend ever so slightly and she began to run her fingers along his side lightly tickling him while being careful not to injure him with her claws. Under this attention she felt his body shudder and the force his leg exerted against her petals began to increase.


 


Joseph didn't realized it but as he teased Maria's petals he had entered into a race with her. Who could make the other lose control first. This gave him a surge of excitement and he began to work more quickly. The force with which he applies pressure to her breasts didn't increase but instead he gently placed his finger on the tip of her pert nipple. Slowly he slid his index finger down that flesh and then moved it around her aureola and back up the others side of her nipple as he brought his fingers to the tip he gave it a gentle pinch.


 


Upon feeling Joseph pinch her nipple Maria gave a slight gasp and grinned down at him. With his head so far away from her face there was no way that she could bring her mouth into play but she had other things she could tease him with. With one hand busy and her tail teasing his shaft Maria reached down and gave Joseph's rear a good squeeze. “Hm all that walking has really helped you out here.”


 


In response to feeling Maria's hand Joseph gave a slight yelp. “Careful with those claws.”


 


“Ah I didn't even break the skin.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he gave the base of Maria's breasts a kiss and slightly shifted his leg as it pushed into her petals. “You know it's not fair. You get to lay here appraising my body but what do I get to say about yours?”


 


A gasp escapes Maria and for a moment she said nothing. “Well. Well what do you want to say?”


 


“Mm you smell nice Maria you know that?”


 


It was impossible for Maria to keep from giggling as she heard those words. “Now that's not something I'd expect from someone with a weak nose like yours.”


 


“Well up this close there is no way that I could avoid noticing.” Instead of continuing Joseph pressed his face into Maria's fur and took several deep breaths. Moments later his ears were greeted by a slight rumbling which he recognize as Maria purring.


 


“Mm you're natural scent is quite nice to. Why if I didn't care so much for you I'd probably eat you up.”


 


Upon hearing this Joseph was made to chuckle and looked between Maria's breast towards her face. “You don't say.” For a moment Joseph said nothing but reached up and wrapped his arms around Maria's breasts. He then brought himself forward while pushing his knee more firmly into her petals so that he could push his face against her chests. “Mm so warm and soft. Not too soft though.”


 


Once again Maria found it hard to say anything but this time as her senses came to her she realized she'd let Joseph gain the upper hand. In response to this she once again began to move her tail against his shaft and immediately noticed his body responding. At the same time she began to move her right hand along his left side gently tickling him as she did so even as her hand reached under his arm. “You feel so delicate in my hands it's really amazing at times. Yet I can feel such a remarkable warmth coming from you and the sound of your hearth beat brings me such delight.”


 


As Joseph was about to respond to Maria's comments he felt her tail suddenly tighten up on his shaft. Instead of just tightening though it also began to move rapidly such that he found himself suddenly unable to speak. A low moan escaped him despite his best efforts and he began to work his leg against Maria once again. When nothing happened to relieve his situation though he quickly realized that she'd adapted to his tactics and he was going to have to adjust now.


 


Maria felt her lips parting to reveal a smile full of teeth as she looked at Joseph. Sh could tell he hadn't been prepared for that last move. Before she could truly get him off though the pressure his leg was exerting against her petal was relieved and she felt Joseph slip further down her body. Instinctively she relaxed the tension in her tail to avoid hurting him only to realize she'd just let him escape moments later. There was no time to think about that as she felt something else press against her petals and felt Josephs lips against her stomach.


 


Joseph didn't push his fingers past Maria right away but gently held his fingers against her petals. As he did so he gently brought them down along her lips and then up against on the upstroke making use of his fingernails to give a textural difference. As he came to the top of the up stroke though he gently took Maria's clitoris between his fingers and began to carefully tend to the little button of flesh. The affect was profound and made him smile as he was able to regain some control of the situation. At least he hoped he had even now though his body was still responding strongly to Maria's presence and it was hard to tell how long he could last.


 


Even if her body wouldn't cooperate for the moment Maria was made to grin. She could smell Joseph's excitement and knew it wouldn't take much more. “Oh my you're quite good at that.”


 


“Alchemist have to have a delicate touch when needed.”


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria despite the situation as she leaned up and reached down for Joseph. “That is something to be grateful for.” As she spoke Maria slipped one hand under Joseph's stomach and the other took hold of his thigh. She then carefully lifted him and raised him up forward on her body until she felt his shaft just brush against her petals. A wicked grin appeared on her face for a moment as she noticed Joseph's entire body lock up.


 


It was clear what Maria wanted as she picked him up and for a moment Joseph wasn't sure how to respond. As he felt her tail brush against the inside of his thigh though he just gave in and went with the flow and pushed himself towards her. There was a brief pause as he felt his shaft press against her petals and then he pushed on entering into Maria. As he did so he heard a slight rumble as her purrs became more intense. A sudden wave of pleasure shot throughout his body moments later as he felt Maria's inner muscles grip his shaft.


 


With Joseph inside of her Maria reached down and placed a hand on the back of his neck. As she did so she gave it a gentle squeeze massaging the muscles as he lay his head down on her stomach. She then slowly pushed her hips upward actually lifting Joseph in the act before he began to responded and lifted himself further. As he began to push himself back into her Maria wrapped her tail around Joseph's thigh and even gave his rear a quick smack with the tip of her tail.


 


While they'd been taking it slow at first Joseph now found himself moving more quickly. As he worked himself inside of Maria though he found it hard to even think about what he was doing. Indeed he only realized that he'd actually began to kiss her stomach several moments after his lips had actually began working. This thought actually prompted him to work all the more quickly though he had no desire to achieve release before Maria. His right arm extended out and lay across her massive thigh which he gave as firm of a squeeze as he could. The feeling of those muscles flexing inside of Maria's legs and forcing his arm to adjust only served to excite him work as he worked faster.


 


It was hard for Maria to stay still as Joseph thrust inside of her. Without really thinking of what she was doing her unoccupied hand reached up and took hold of the front of her right breasts. As she squeezed the front of that massive globe her legs lifted up and quickly intertwined forcing Joseph further into her and insuring he never withdrew too far serving to make his thrust all the more rapid though less drawn out.


 


Even in his current state Joseph could tell that he was having quite an affect on Maria. Not only could he hear it in her breathing but he could feel it throughout her entire body as he felt the muscles of her legs flexing around him. “I love you Maria.”


 


As the words reached her ears Maria's felt her eyes open wide and a surge of pleasure went throughout her body. Her hips were made to buck more quickly then normal and she felt Joseph be lifted upwards. Her tail prevented him from being tossed away while the grip she held on her breasts grew more firm. She could feel Joseph's lips resume kissing her stomach and her hips began to thrust more quickly such that Joseph no longer pushed himself into her but was more going along for the ride at this point.


 


For a moment Joseph ceased to kiss Maria's stomach as he no longer thought about thrusting into her but keeping from being thrown off. He could feel himself losing control now and he bit down on his lower lip to try and regain it. As he felt Maria's inner muscles grip his shaft particularly firmly though he felt his entire body spasm and a wave of pleasure ran throughout him. In his daze he didn't even notice as Maria responded her entire body tensing up and actually holding him aloft for several moments.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“Okay now why are you looking at me like that for?”


 


“I um well it's just weird.”


 


“What is weird?”


 


“Seeing you in clothing.”


 


“Oh!” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she looked down at herself. At the moment she was effectively wearing a simple string bikini clearly designed to only cover those parts of her body she'd trimmed. “Well I can't really walk around exposed.”


 


“That is true. I just well from what I know about your healing abilities I sort of expected your fur to just grow back.”


 


“Now even we don't recover that quickly. Besides if our fur growth was that rapid there would be no point in even trying to trim our hair.”


 


“You have a point there. So does this mean that sisters wearing clothing have probably been well-”


 


“Busy with their mates? Yeah it's a pretty good indicator though some of them wear clothing to give that impression. It's a way to get a brothers interest as their often left wondering if we have indeed trimmed ourselves or not.”


 


“Okay that's interesting.”


 


“Hey Joseph. I love you to.”


 


“Huh?”


 


“While we were together you called out that you love me.”


 


“I meant it to.”


 


“So did I. So what now?”


 


“Now we go back to the others and get back to eating. I'm hungry again.”


 


Despite knowing how much Maria had eaten before her announcement didn't surprise Joseph. He knew how much she could eat. “Well then I guess our timing was good.”


 


“I don't know about that. I can smell the food and I'm worried that a lot of it might have already been eaten. I might have to go catch a few things for myself. I'd say it was worth it though to be with you.”


 


Kersara had a grin on her face as she looked up from her food and towards Maria and Joseph. She could smell that they'd been busy from quite a distance the clothing told her how much though. “Well I bet you two had fun.”


 


To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Yeah we had some nice alone time and I see there is still some food to eat.”


 


“Yeah but I'd suggest you-” Sora found herself silenced as Maria seemed to vanish for a moment and appear again at the table. She'd forgotten how fast her sister could move. “Be careful or you'll destroy your food before it reaches your mouth.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


“I've been learning to make them while in my alchemy class.” As he spoke Allen offered a small badgto Pera though he didn't open to reveal the contents. “I would have made enough for all our friends as well but I'm not that good yet.”


 


Even without opening the bag Pera could smell what was inside of it. How she hadn't noticed the scent before was truly beyond her as she retrieved the bag from Allen. They didn't smell as sweet as the ones she'd had before but these had been made by Allen. “Wow these must have been really hard to make!” As she spoke Pera finally opened the bag revealing the alchemically crafted candy inside.


 


To this Allen gave a quick nod. “Yeah my early ones failed completely but I believe I got it down better. It took me a few weeks just to make that many though.”


 


After a moment of observation and silence Pera reached into the bag and carefully sifted through the candy. It was easy to tell which ones had been his earlier attempts due to form, color, texture and even the energy contained within them. Pera chose to retrieve what she believed to be the earliest attempt and popped it into her mouth. Instinct told her to sink her teeth into it but instead she held off and began to roll it about. “They're really good! Thanks Allen!”


 


“I'm-” Allen didn't get to finish as Pera suddenly towards him so that she was only centimeters away. She then leaned forward and he felt something wet on his cheek as her lips pressed against it. This wasn't too unusual but this time Pera didn't back away immediately. He was quite surprised though whenever the moment her lips left his cheek he felt her lips against his own.


 


Pera wasn't certain what had come over her as she kissed Allen on the cheek but suddenly it just wasn't enough. Having no desire to truly resist the urge she backed away only long enough to reposition her face and press her lips against his. When their lips finally parted she was made to grin as she noted the look of surprise and wonder on his face. “It had to be done.”


 


“Um thank you.”


 


It was impossible for Pera to keep from giggling as she looked at Allen. “You're welcome I enjoyed it as well. Still Allen, these seem a bit much. How long did it really take you to make each one.”


 


“Well it wasn't like it was constant effort but the average preparation time was well. I have been working on that bag of candy for a month just for you.”


 


“A month? Allen that is so kind of you but surely you didn't mean to give it to me today.”


 


“Well I didn't at first but when I learned about what was going to happen it seemed like the right time. Besides if I waited any later they'd seem even smaller to you then they are now.”


 


Once again Pera felt something take hold of her body and this time she stepped forward wrapping her arms around Allen as she did so and pulling him against her body. “Now I'm going to have to think real hard so I can get you as thoughtful of a gift as you prepared for me.”


 


“Pera you don't have to do that. I wanted to give something really special to you.”


 


“Mm you reap what you sow.”


 


“Well I have a lot of repaying to do after all the treats you've given me. I think you're kind of in the lead.”


 


“Oh like that ever required much effort.”


 


“Even if it was easy for you that doesn't mean you haven't planted a lot.”


 


“Na. I'm sure that effort factor into it as well somehow.” After a moment of silence a slight giggle escaped Pera as she looked down into his eyes and then at the bag of candy. “I want to eat them all right now but I want to savor them just the same so I'm not certain what I should do.”


 


“Well that's up to you. I'll be happy as long as you enjoyed them.”


 


“Hm hey Allen sense I'm suppose to protect you while you're away from home don't you believe it'd be best if we slept together tonight? That way I can insure you stay safe.”


 


Immediately Pera's words struck Allen as odd. He had no doubt that they'd be setting up the brothers sleeping in the area in the middle of the camp so they'd be surrounded by sisters. That alone pretty much insured that they'd be safe from harm. Thus for Pera to request that they sleep together was quite strange. There was no desire in him to question her as to what her true motives was though. “Sure if you'd like to.”


 


“Allen do you remember whenever you said that you would like me larger then what I am now?”


 


“Of course! It wasn't that long ago and my memory isn't that bad.”


 


“I know I just wanted to create an opening. Well I've been thinking about that and I was wondering if you'd like to feel me growing.”


 


“How could we do that? It'll take a few hours for your body to adapt even after eating so much.”


 


“I know but I know of a way. I was thinking that you could sleep with your arms around me that way when you woke up you could see how far apart they'd been pushed. Perhaps you could even feel it happening in your sleep though.” For a moment Pera was silent then a giggle escaped her and she gave Allen a sly smile. “Perhaps you'll even dream about me.”


 


“That would be nice. How are we going to be certain I don't just take my arms off you though?”


 


“Oh I know a way to handle that. We're going to use some stretchy rope. You can just put your arms around me and we'll use it to bind your wrist. That way when we wake up we can see how much tighter. That way you'll know that I've grown.”


 


“I think my eyes could tell me that last part but it sounds like fun.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Allen felt a little odd as he lay with his arms around Pera. It wasn't his position that bothered him but the bit of string that was wrapped around his wrist. The binding was flimsy and stretched easily but he could tell when it was being stretched. They'd go to sleep like that and the string would stretch as his arms were forced apart by Pera's expanding body. It'd let him feel how much she had grown even while they lay in the darkness. The thing that felt the most strange though was the fact that he believed it was working already.


 


“Hey Allen. You don't have to wear that string if you don't want to.”


 


“It's alright Pera I'm fine.”


 


“Are you sure you seem to be uncomfortable.” Unlike Allen Pera would see perfectly well in the night so she could see her words were being met with a grin.


 


“That's not why I'm having trouble getting to sleep.”


 


“Then why?”


 


“I'm just so excited. Thinking that when I wake up in the morning you're going to be taller then what you are now. Actually I think you might be a bit taller now then you were a few moments ago.”


 


Instead of responding right away Pera pursed her lips and quickly pressed them against Allen's cheek. “I'm excited as well. You need your sleep though so I want you to close your eyes and rest.” As she spoke Pera pulled Allen closer to herself and brought her face only a few centimeters away from his.


 


After a moment of silence Allen gave his head a nod and closed his eyes though he wasn't certain if he could get to sleep or not. “Hey Pera do you believe we'll see some of those fish kobolds while we're here.”


 


“I hope not but well. I'm kind of surprised we didn't see any while celebrating. I figured they'd take that as a sign our defenses are weak and attack.”


 


“I wonder if it was really safe for Joseph and me to set near the water like that.”


 


“Of course we were all keeping an eye on the two of you. So it was safe. You know you really missed out when you didn't join in on the second round of feasting.”


 


“I was stuffed from the last time still though.”


 


“The stew Kersara and the others made from the orc's rations was really tasty. I'm hoping that we can go looking for clams tomorrow though and prepare them.”


 


“That should be fun.” As he finished speaking Allen found himself unable to think of anything else to say and leaned his head forward so that his forehead touched Pera's. He felt her tail lay across his leg and suddenly there was nothing to say he just lay there with her.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Markus took in a deep breath as he looked back at the building which had served as his home in some ways and prison in others for several years now. It made him sigh and sent a shiver up his spine as he looked at Alex. “You know I have to say that this is a little frightening. I think this is the most frightened I've been in a long time.”


 


“Come on Markus don't talk like that. You waited this long so you'd have a partner to help you escape from this forest and now you do. So let's return to where we belong.”


 


“Yeah you're right.”


 


Alex waited until Markus had began to walk into the darkened woods and then began to follow behind him. “Hey Markus I have to ask. Have you ever slept with any of those beasts?”


 


“Hm actually I have. For a while I was even hoping I could get one of them pregnant so that they'd give me safe passage out of the forests. That never happened though.”


 


“Are you sure? Did you keep track of those sisters you slept with?”


 


“That's not exactly something one in my position could have done. I'm quite confident though that I was never met with any success though. After all. They may be beast here but at least they were always honest with me.”


 


“You do have a point there. So what do you plan to do the moment we make it out of the forest?”


 


“Find the closest place to sell off some of these plants so we can get some gold to pay for a carriage and travel to the best place to sell them. After that well. I believe that I'll be returning home to see what's become of it after these years.”


 


“Is there something you're hoping to find?”


 


“Not really. I imagine my parents believe that I went and died in the forest whenever I first stepped foot into it. I suppose that I don't need to head home. With the money we're going to get from these we should both be able to set ourselves up on some nice farm land and higher other people to tend to it for us. What about you Alex? What do you want to do when you get out of here?”


 


At first Alex said nothing but looked into the forest all around them. The moon was out so it wasn't entirely dark but it still seemed dangerous to be walking through it at night. It was dangerous to travel through during the day as well though. “Move far away from anything resembling a forest and resume my studies in alchemy. At least I managed to acquire some useful skills here.”


 


“So no farm for you?”


 


It was impossible for Alex to keep from chuckling as he gave his head a slight shake. “No. I don't believe that's the life for me. Even if it meant having others tend the field for me. Besides it about costs as much as a farm to higher a true master to teach you.”


 


“Really now? I guess the knowledge to turn a few plant scraps into a life saving elixir is worth a lot.”


 


To this Alex gave a quick nod. “Indeed. Most of the earnings that a practicing alchemist actually earns tends to go to a master alchemist who's still teaching them. With the money we should get from these plants though I believe I'll be able to pay for intensive lessons for at least five years.”


 


“So where would that put you?”


 


Now Alex was made to grin. “Good enough that I could begin offering my service as an alchemist and not worry about the majority of my money going to repay my teacher. I'm not talking about these alchemist you find in a corner shop either. I mean the alchemist that makes potions for the nobility.”


 


“Don't most of those potions involving making the nobles wives have bigger breast?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Alex as he gave a nod. “I've heard those stories to! As to my knowledge though that's not their main focus. It seems many nobles who can afford to do so like to keep an alchemist handy to extend their lives and help deal with poisons. Markus how far do you plan on traveling tonight?”


 


“We're well rested and have a good moon out tonight Alex. I want to travel all night and into the next day as well. After that we'll set up camp once we find a safe enough location and then we'll rest.”


 


“You don't believe traveling that intensively won't actually diminish our chances of making it out alive?”


 


“Honestly if I wasn't worried about being taken back to the village as a claimed then I would agree with. For now just for this one night though I want to put as much distance between us and that place as we're capable of doing.”


 


“I thought you said you trusted them to keep their word.”


 


Instead of responding right away Markus went silent and looked up at the sky. “I do. I trust that if they see us in a life or death situation and step in they'll take us back as claimed. I'm not sure if they're true but I've heard stories from the others. Stories of nearly successful journeys through the forest that were sabotaged.”


 


“You mean that the beasts set up a trap so that they could step in save the travelers and then claim them again as the beast had saved their lives.”


 


“Yeah. Of course I've heard other stories as well. Some of the claimed don't believe the beasts would truly let them leave the forest. Rather they think it's just an empty promise and those people who don't get brought back as claimed are simply killed and eaten so that the beasts keep their secrets quiet.”


 


“What do you believe Markus?”


 


“If that is the case we're going to die before we leave this forest unless we can truly lose them. I'd like to take the safer of of the two paths but honestly I don't know which one of them is. If we knew that one of them was watching over us now at least we'd know that we weren't going to die out here and try again later or we could believe it. Then again if we're truly alone then we know that they can't intentionally destroy our chance of leaving.”


 


“You didn't really answer my question Markus. Which do you believe it is?”


 


“I believe that they would keep their word but fear of them lying makes me believe that losing them entirely is the safest path. If I didn't believe that I would have accompanied them on one last gathering job to get us as far into the forest safely as I could before we departed.”


 


“So does that mean that's your plan if we end up captured again?”


 


“Actually it is though we would have to both earn our freedom once again. That's not really something I like the ideal of dong though perhaps I could get my old keeper again. She was pretty nice.”


 


“Your old keeper. Markus you never spoke of her before. What was she like?”


 


“Mirara was quite nice to us at least as long as we did as she told us to do. She was understanding as well. Actually even whenever we didn't do what she told us her first reaction was to assume that her instructions had either been unclear or that we were physically incapable of doing so. She always tried to fix that the second time she gave the order.”


 


“What happened the second time?”


 


“You. Well no one wanted to see what happen. Once she was certain we were capable of doing as we were told and that she'd been clear in her instructions she could get real frightening the second time she gave them if they weren't followed.”


 


“What was the typical punishment?”


 


“It really depended on who it was. She killed a few that had been repeatedly defiant and pretty much ate them right in front of us. During such times we weren't allowed to look away. If you were new like I was well she acted under the assumption that you hadn't been warned about what may happen and explained it to you. When she got onto me after she explained what may happen I lost a lot of privileges for a while. I pretty much had no free time and had an extra hour added onto my work time. I saw a few push her beyond that point and that's when things became painful.”


 


“So when would she decide eating them was alright?”


 


“Well I only saw it happen twice. After the second time most were too afraid to push her to that point. In one case the offender apparently took issue with another one of the claimed and tried to. Well I don't know if he was trying kill him or just injure him but it set Mirara off especially as the aggressor was known for slacking and making the others pick up said slack.”


 


“I see so perhaps there was more to what she did then repeat acts of defiance?”


 


“That might have been the case. Well anyway about the second time I saw her decide that she'd just eat the offender. I never went and found out the finer details of that one but I knew he regularly tried to avoid doing as he was told. Then one day she came over to him and confronted him in front of everyone about how productive he'd been and how he was affecting everyone's work. He started to apologize but then she told him it was too late for that and that she was just going to eat him.”


 


“How did he respond?”


 


“What do you think he did? He shit himself and I mean it literally. He went to begging and whimpering but instead of responding to it she just cleaned him up and did as she said she would.”


 


“Yet you remember her fondly?”


 


“Like I said those were people who pushed her to her limit. Now as for good workers like myself. She set a certain goal for the week and once we met it we could have quite a bit of free time. If we exceeded our goal though we could ask for special consideration at times. Those who exceeded their goal could even ask for others to receive lesser punishments for slacking off.”


 


“Did anyone ask her to spare the man she was going to eat?”


 


“Like any of us were going to expend our hard earned privileges on him.”


 


“I see. Did it ever occur to you then that she took her time preparing to eat him and did it in front of all of you to see if any of you would save him? Perhaps she was letting you pass judgment on him as much as she was.”


 


“You may be right. I never thought of her as the sneaky type though she always seemed quite strait forward.”


 


“Isn't that how a truly sneaky person would seem though?”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Markus as he gave his head a shake. “I suppose you have a point there. Anyway, what was your keeper like?”


 


“Do what she said or be punished. She didn't punish without reason but I get the feeling she was quicker to make use of physical punishments then yours was. I can't say we got many warnings or that she ever took the time to explain things under the assumption that she hadn't been clear. Then again I've never heard of her setting down and eating one of us especially while the others were forced to watch.”


 


“Anything else?”


 


“Not really.”


 


“So I'm guessing you weren't very fond of her if that's all you remember.”


 


A slight chuckle escaped Alex as he gave his head a shake. “I hate all of these monsters. They're unnatural freaks and while I may not know what power brought them about I wouldn't be surprised if it was allied with the infernal ones themselves.”


 


“That's a rather harsh view point. What makes you so certain that they're infernally alined?”


 


“Come on Markus they eat human flesh! They enslave us and then act like their actions are justified because they supposedly saved our lives.”


 


“Humans have enslaved their own kind with less of an excuse then that. We may not eat one another often but we do kill one another often enough. At least these beings tend to have something of a reason for doing so even if I don't approve of that reason.”


 


“Hm so Markus are you saying that you don't hate them?”


 


“Yeah. I don't hate them. I don't hate them anymore then the tusker that chased me across a river whenever I was first learning my way around the woods. I just don't want to live here for the rest of my life is all. Besides if it wasn't for them I would be dead in this forest.”


 


“Really? Markus exactly how did you come to be one of the claimed.”


 


“Well being the idiot I was back then and perhaps still am today I decided to go into the forest to gather some valuable animal skins and plants. I figured that if I stayed near the edge and kept my ears and eyes open I'd be able to escape from any dangers even the monsters of the forest. Besides I needed the money real bad. Once I go there though I got so busy looking for monsters that I wasn't paying as much attention to what I was gathering as I should have. I picked the wrong flower in the wrong way and got poisoned.”


 


“What flower was it?”


 


“They're known as Lilith's kiss. Anyway, I ended up pricking myself and if you know anything about those flowers you know that they pack quite a powerful poison. Unfortunately the general purpose cure that I'd brought with me wasn't nearly strong enough to deal with such a dangerous poison. You see I hadn't expected to encounter something quite that dangerous. I did what I could and tried to make my way out of the forest but it was pretty clear that wasn't going to happen. I was pretty out of it when the beast girl found me and took me back to their village.”


 


“So they cured you?”


 


“Yeah they cured me and then told me what was going to become of me if I behaved. I actually expected to be put to work right away but Mirara took one look at me pretty much tossed me in a bed and said I could begin work when she didn't think a gentle breeze would knock me over. The poison had really messed me up before I got the antidote.”


 


“So when did you decide to stay and earn your freedom?”


 


“Well I didn't really try to escape though I entertained the thought for a while. I gave up on the thoughts themselves though whenever I took the time to consider what the others had lost during their escape attempts. A short while later I even resolved that I would do my best to earn my life back and leave on good terms with my captors. Hold it.”


 


In response to Markus's words Alex stopped instantly and took hold of his weapon. He then began to look around the forest trying to see what had caused Markus to become concerned. After a short while he was tempted to ask if it was safe to talk but he chose not to. After all just in asking such a question he would have made a foolish move if the answer was yes.


 


“Okay we can continue I thought I heard something for a moment.”


 


“Are you sure that you didn't.”


 


“Certain enough that I believe we can resume our journey.”


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Dinon gave a sigh as he looked up at the sun. His sword and shield lay at the ready on either side of him as well as his bow but he wouldn't be using any of them this morning. This morning it would be a strait forward hand to hand match with Kelah in which they could use any spiritual abilities they have. Apparently some of the other orcs had heard them talking as many had gathered around to watch though they were keeping a safe distance. Being caught up in one of Kelah's matches wasn't exactly a fun thing to do. There was one surprise though. Many of the beast women were watching intently waiting for the match to start snacks at the ready. What made it even stranger though is they all looked larger then the day before.


 


It had taken Kelah a little longer then usual to wake up such that she was surprised to see Dinon and the others already waiting for her as she approached. It was refreshing to see that Dinon was already at the ready. As she came into the area that had apparently been selected by him for their match she removed the twin axes on her sides and tossed them into them. The weapons heft and power was made clear as they sunk deeply into the sand such that the blade was completely hidden. “Good morning Dinon have you eaten yet?”


 


"Nope. I decided to put breakfast on hold. Fighting on a full stomach can be rough."


 


To this Kelah gave a nod. "Yeah though I believe I'm still feeling the affects from yesterday."


 


"Ah I see. So you're being punished for taking so much of my food."


 


It was impossible for Kelah to keep from chuckling as she gave her head a slight shake. "Yeah you keep telling yourself that. Now! Dinon you have some new techniques and I want to see them. So I suggest you stand up and get ready."


 


Dinon didn't protest as he stood up and took on what appeared to be a defensive stance. As he moved his arms and breathed in though red flames began to flicker around his fingers and quickly gather. He didn't need Kelah to tell him to start to know that it was a good time to begin doing so. Even as he gathered his strength though he could tell that she'd already began to do the same with only slightly more subtle results. Her right eye was looking very much like a wolves.


 


Kelah was the alpha of her soldiers. It was her task to maintain order and insure that the pack did well. It was also her task to make sure all of them knew she was the leader. This resulted in her being able to call upon the strength night fang gave her even whenever it was one of her own that was challenging her. Especially whenever the challenge was made in front of the entire pack. She did have to remind herself that this wasn't a true challenge to her authority though otherwise she might seriously injure Dinon.


 


Surely a true opponent wouldn't have given him such time to gather his strength as Kelah had. Dinon didn't rush though knowing that she'd want him to be at his best not at what was realistic so that he took his time and gathered his energy to its peak. At last the roar of flames was sent throughout the area and Dinon's hands were entirely engulfed in the flames though they were not singed. Finally ready he wasted no time rushing towards Kelah and thrusting his palm towards her.


 


There was a smile on Kelah's face as she chose to meet Dinon's attack though she had an ideal of what was going on. Her hand opened up and slammed solidly into Dinon's stopping the thrust but not the attack as the flames leaped off his palm and surged over Kelah's hand and arm. She didn't bother backing away though but quickly thrust her leg forward and slammed it into Dinon's stomach. The impact was audible enough to make some of the audience cringe though to their surprise Dinon didn't falter.


 


The moment he regained his footing a sharp gasp escaped Dinon and he placed his hand on his stomach. He didn't take his eyes of Kelah though it wasn't because he feared her attack. Rather he feared he might have actually burnt her. "Kelah are you alright?"


 


"Dinon did I tell you to stop attacking me." As she spoke Kelah looked strait at Dinon and parted her lips slightly more in a snarl then in a smile.


 


A surge of adrenaline ran throughout Dinon as he looked at Kelah's eyes. It was strange but while it inspired some fear in him it also excited him. Truly Kelah was a woman that he could admire and loved being close to. He just worried that she would end up breaking him in half if she wasn't careful or if he was too slow. Feeling certain Kelah knew what he was doing Dinon opening his mouth and quickly blew across his right hand. A small wall of flame erupted forth and quickly rushed towards Kelah quickly growing so that he could no longer see her.


 


It was easy for Kelah to feel the heat of the flames even before they reached her. As the flames grew closer though a feral roar escaped her and she quickly lashed out at the flames. The flames never touched her or even her fingers but rather was dispersed nearly instantly by tiny torrents of wind that swirled around her fingers. Normally they were used to further damage opponents whenever she cut them but they were also very effective at negating fire attacks.


 


A bit of the heat washed back over Dinon as Kelah tore the fire apart. Reflexively he closed his eyes to shield them from harm but realized his mistake the moment he opened them. Kelah was standing less then a meter away from him and was showing no signs of having been harmed. Her right hand drawn back ready to strike. There wasn't time to evade the attack so Dinon did what he could and used his right arm to block the punch. He was actually surprised by how light the blow had been as he was only made to stumble rather then end up on his tail.


 


"Not bad Dinon but is that all you have to offer?"


 


For a moment Dinon said nothing but then he was made to grin. "Blast it Kelah I only made the contract recently. Flame breath and touched by the fire are the only abilities I've managed to earn so far."


 


Instead of responding right away Kelah went silent and pursed her lips. "Ah come on Dinon really?"


 


The tone in Kelah's voice was such that Dinon had to keep from laughing. A moment ago she'd been the stern warrior alpha of her back. Now she sounded like a spoiled child who'd just been disappointed. "I'm afraid so."


 


"Well darn. Still to give you two such abilities you must have made a good first impression on the spirit."


 


"First impression? I've been trying to convince her to make a contract with me for months!"


 


"Oh that's a bit different. So she's a stubborn one?"


 


"Yeah."


 


"Mm which means that she's probably a rather long lived spirit but to give such abilities. Oh she's not your typical spirit of fire is she? You've made a contract with a earth bound flame."


 


"Is it that obvious?"


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as she glanced down at the sand. "Still, I wonder how you actually managed to reach her."


 


"Now I can't tell you that. It was part of our contract after all."


 


"Hm ah well." A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as she looked around. "Okay that was barely a warm up who wants to spar me?"


 


Now Dinon stood up. "Hey I said I would be your partner this morning didn't I?"


 


For a moment Kelah didn't respond but she was made to grin. "Well alright then but I'm not going to just stand here and let you hit me as you will now."


 


"No problem and I'm not going to restrict myself to my fire abilities either."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


As Pera looked into Allen's sleeping face she considered nipping him lightly on the nose. She couldn't bring herself to do it though as she listened to his heart beat, heard him breath and noted how much smaller he looked then the previous night. She could hear the fighting going on outside their little tent but she couldn't see it and it didn't interest her as much as Allen. She was very grateful though whenever she noted him stirring.


 


It wasn't the first time Allen had woken up with Pera laying next to him. As sleep left him though and he opened his eyes the feeling of the string on his wrist immediately got his attention. "Wow you really did grow last night."


 


Immediately Pera was made to giggle as she brought her face forward and kissed Allen on the cheek. "How much would you say?"


 


At first Allen said nothing but took his time to examine Pera. They weren't standing so he couldn't be certain but after a moment he was made to grin. "I'd say at least fifteen centimeters and more like twenty really."


 


"Do you like it."


 


"Of course!"


 


A slight giggle escaped Pera as she slipped an arm and her tail under Allen. She then carefully lifted him and rolled onto her back so that she deposited him on top of her so they were looking into one each others eyes. "Really?"


 


For a moment Allen wasn't certain what to say as he found himself laying atop Pera. Words returned soon enough so as he felt Pera's tail moving over his back. "Yeah it's really neat."


 


"I'm glad you think so and just think. I'm going to be even taller before this is finished."


 


"Yeah you're going to be about as big as a guardian aren't you?"


 


"I believe so."


 


"Wow finding you in hiding go seek is going to be a lot easier."


 


"Oh that's what you think. Now that I'm a bigger target I just won't take it as easy on you."


 


"Well range rules still apply."


 


"Of course. That doesn't mean I've been being as stealthy as I can be though." As she finished speaking Pera reached behind herself and took hold of the band that was attached to Allen's wrists. She didn't bother asking as she used one of her claws to quickly cut the string so that he could pull his arms from around her. "Cuddling you is going to be fun whenever I'm a bit bigger."


 


While Allen had been prepared for most things Pera might say that last one kind of cut him off guard and he was made to grin. "Hey now just because you're getting even bigger then me it doesn't mean you're older or have the right to baby me."


 


"I know but it'll still be fun. I wonder what you're going to feel like with Stella though."


 


"Oh lord I hope this doesn't trigger a relapse in her."


 


"Worried that sense you're going to look smaller to her she's going to start treating you like she did a few years ago?"


 


"I wasn't until you mentioned that."


 


A slight giggle escaped Pera before she let her tongue flick out and ran it along Allen's cheek. His response was immediate and made her giggle all the more as he tried to back away and toppled off of her. She had been planning to go eat but despite her hunger she couldn't get up just yet. She wanted to stay and hold Allen for a while longer.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Joseph couldn't help but feel a little strange as he walked along side of Maria. It was clear that she'd taken him up on his offer to continue supplying her with the life bloom due to the extra centimeters she'd put on and though he'd encouraged her to do this it felt strange. Whenever he'd first met Maria she'd been shorter then him then a short while later eye level. Whenever she'd ended up growing to guardian size due to his mistake he'd been roughly below her chest level. After she was finished growing this time though his head would come up to slightly below her crotch.


 


"Joseph are you alright? You're seeming a little stiff."


 


It actually took Joseph a moment to respond as he turned to look up at Maria. "Yeah I'm fine if a little sore. After last night I believe that's understandable though."


 


"Ah really? I didn't think I was that rough on you."


 


"Well I wouldn't say you were rough on me. You just seemed a little more eager then usual."


 


"You didn't seem to mind last night."


 


"I'm not complaining about it you can trust me on that. I think I just pushed myself a little more then I was prepared for though. I'm guessing having a full belly helps with your other drives as well."


 


"Maybe."


 


"So the two of you really are going back already?"


 


Maria had a big grin as she looked back at Kersara. "Yeah. We didn't bring enough clothes for Joseph to stay for an extended period. Besides I want to spend some time with my mother and a few others as well. I wonder how many centimeters she's already put on."


 


"I'm sure she'll be showing you as soon as you get back."


 


"You're probably right. Hm I wonder if I should take Allen back with us. I imagine Stella would be happy to have her baby boy back in her arms."


 


Before Kersara could speak up Joseph did so. "I don't believe Allen or Pera would appreciate that. From what he brought I'm fairly certain that he plans on staying with Pera until they head back together."


 


To this Maria gave a quick nod. "That is true. Alright we'll leave them here. He should be safe anyway with Pera to keep an eye on him."


 


A slight giggle escaped Kersara as she glanced back towards the camp. "I believe she wants to keep more then an eye on him. I swear that young and they already want to sleep together."


 


It was impossible for Maria not to grin as she gave a nod. "You have a point there but it's good that they're already so close. It means that Pera doesn't have to worry about another sister taking him away."


 


"Um Maria, Kersara when you sleep together you don't mean sex do you?"


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she gave her head a slight shake. "Of course not. They're just sharing the same tent and sleeping with their arms around each other. Well that and waking up with one on top of the other but that doesn't mean they're having sex."


 


Now Kersara was made to grin as she looked at Joseph. "Quite true and besides it's natural for a sister to cuddle with someone they're fond of. That way they can keep them warm at night and insure they stay safe."


 


"Uhuh."


 


Before continuing Maria gave Joseph's leg a quick flick her tail making him jump slightly. "Come on and relax Joseph. We'd know if they were getting physical with one another."


 


"I know but sleeping like that. Well it just seems like their relationship is advancing a little more quickly then it should."


 


"I swear Maria he sounds like Mirin talking about a brother who's progressing rapidly."


 


"Yeah I think you're right Kersara."


 


While Joseph didn't exactly mind being compared to Mirin he couldn't help but give a sigh. "I'm not trying to seem overly paranoid here. It's just from the culture I'm from they' seem to be moving rather quickly is all."


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she gave a nod. "I guess that's the choice of your culture but we don't have that choice. Sisters learn about sexual matters early on not just from the adults but well. Don't you think Pera noticed the first time Allen became stimulated in the least? Going a bit further don't you believe she knew what that smell meant from what she'd smelt around town?"


 


"I don't see how she would have missed it. I guess while humans can keep their children a bit less informed you don't have that choice. So Maria when did you notice the change in scents?"


 


"Oh I believe I was between the ages of five and seven. My mother was speaking with some brothers and I noticed the change in the air. Eventually I asked her what that smell meant in the middle of everyone."


 


"Was she embarrassed?"


 


"I don't remember her being embarrassed. She just took me away from the rest of the group and explained what that smell meant in terms that I could understand. A little more observation and time though and I picked up on the finer details of what those smells meant and when they occurred. Now before you ask when younger brothers tend to learn about such things it tends to be whenever younger sisters talk to them about such scents.

Chapter 19 by happiest_in_shadows

It's generally considered best whenever a young sister asks an adult about such smells though and a little problematic whenever she notices the change in a brothers scent. Fortunately thanks to our ears we tend to hear such questions and a sister knows to respond."


 


After a moment of silence a slight chuckle escaped Joseph. "I can only imagine how my mother would have responded if I would have asked her such a question in the middle of a large crowd. I'd probably have gotten a lecture about what not to talk about in front of people along with a very brief explanation and a promise of further information whenever I got older."


 


Now Kersara chimed in. "Ah that isn't good. Understanding is better then being kept in ignorance after all. At least whenever we catch a young sister or brother experimenting early we can say that they knew better."


 


"With that knowledge though and the difficulty you have in becoming pregnant when does such experimentation tend to occur?"


 


It was impossible for Kersara not to give a very toothy grin now. "Um well I actually ended up experimenting with a brother I like a great deal whenever I was just a wee bit younger then Pera. I can't say my mother was happy with me whenever she smelt me though. She set me down and talked to me about the dangers of becoming pregnant with such a small body and how while the probability was low the danger was also great and that I should wait."


 


Maria didn't give Joseph time to respond as she looked at Kersara. "Younger then Pera? Wow you were an early starter Kersara. Anyway, I guess your concern is somewhat grounded Joseph as Pera and Allen are around the right age for them to be considering sneaking off and exploring each others bodies a bit more then what they should be doing."


 


"Yet you didn't seem at all worried yesterday? Also isn't that excuse that them becoming pregnant is dangerous going to be flying out the window soon? With Pera and the others being allowed to grow they're going to be closer to the old guardian status which if I remember correctly is large enough to safely carry a child."


 


For a moment neither sister said a thing as they both seemed to consider what Joseph had said. It was Kersara whos poke up. "You have a point there. I suppose we'll just have to point out to them that while the risk is low there is a chance they'll become pregnant and they're not mature enough to handle that responsibility."


 


"Hm given that the danger to the health of the mother and child will soon be passing I guess that's the only reason they shouldn't be doing such things."


 


Once again Joseph found himself taken back for a moment but Maria and Kersara's words. "How about the fact that as children they shouldn't be doing such things to begin with regardless of the danger of having a child?"


 


A slight giggle escaped Kersara as she looked at Joseph. "Now I don't know about that. I mean if there wasn't the risk of becoming pregnant and having a child to raise why shouldn't they?"


 


"Because they're not mature enough to make such decisions." As the words left his lips Joseph couldn't help but notice the grin on Kersara's face.


 


"I don't know about that either. I mean I sure believed I was mature enough whenever I began experimenting with my brothers. Besides I know some very old sisters that are quite immature. Is it something that we can really put a numerical value on and say that they're mature enough when they reach this biological age regardless of mental conditioning."


 


Before Joseph could respond Maria gave a quick nod. "You know I agree with you there. I can't say I had actual sex until I met Joseph due to my small body size and being put to sleep but I did fool around with some brothers from time to time. How about you Kersara how big where you when you first had sex?"


 


"Ah well I was smaller then I should have been. I believe that's the main reason my mother talked to me as long as she did though. She really wanted to make it clear that I hadn't just endangered myself but I might have also endangered a young sister."


 


"Are you two serious?"


 


To Joseph's question Maria gave a quick response. "Yep. Also Joseph if you and I have a daughter you're going to have to face up to this. Every time we make love or someone else does our little girl is going to know about it. Going further if she's as curious as I was when I was young she's going to find out the truth very soon and begin to wonder about such things."


 


"Okay that's a bit of an unnerving thought."


 


For the first time since they had began talking Maria's smile was made to fade slightly. "Is it really that unnerving?"


 


Despite how awkward he felt Joseph couldn't help but notice the change in the tone of Maria's voice. She sounded concerned. "It's very strange and feels a little wrong."


 


"Joseph you know if we have a daughter you won't be able to hide it when we lay together. You won't be able to evade her questions and many times you won't even be able to evade her ears. I guess we should have talked about this before we became so close but."


 


Before Maria could finish Joseph spoke up. "It's alright Maria. It'll just take some getting used to I suppose. What are we humans though if not adaptable?"


 


"So how would you like to handle it?"


 


"I would. I well. I'm not really sure about that. Maria what happened when you became curious about the difference between brothers and sisters' bodies?"


 


"Oh well the sisters I got to see all the time so that wasn't a big deal. I will admit that I spent some time spying on our brothers though. I kind of think that's something that we all do at one time or another in our lives."


 


Now Kersara chose to rejoin the conversation. "Well it's kind of hard not to. I remember whenever I first became curious about our brothers bodies. It was just so easy to sneak around without them noticing and observe them. I mean Joseph I don't want to disturb you but the odds are some of our younger sisters have seen parts of you that you wouldn't like to think about."


 


Once again Joseph was made to feel more then a little awkward as he looked at Kersara. "Are you being serious?"


 


"Oh I'm being very serious. None of them would admit to it of course but well we are naturally inclined to stealth and you don't even have the eyes of a woodsman. So you're pretty easy pickings and it's not like Maria is around you all the time."


 


"Okay now I feel about as awkward as I ever have." As the words left his mouth Joseph felt himself beginning to blush as both Maria and Kersara began to giggle. "So how do regular brothers handle such issues?"


 


Maria, "Well most of them sort of accept the ideal as well. You do get to see most of us effectively unclothed most the time though not shaven."


 


"Yes but you have the choice to wear clothing."


 


"That is true but you don't have to disrobe out in the open or near any form of windows either. Clothes are an inconvenience to us in many situations just like having to be hyper sensitive about your exposure would inconvenience you."


 


"That doesn't mean the brothers are intentionally looking at the sisters though."


 


"Oh?" As she spoke Maria closed her arms together and pushed her breasts in making them appear even larger. She immediately noted as Joseph's eyes were drawn strait to her chest. "That appeared pretty intentional to me."


 


For a moment Joseph wasn't certain what Maria was talking about and then it hit him. "Hey now! I can't help it if you're going to do like that."


 


"Oh? Did it ever occur to you that sneaking around is as easy for a sister as that little glance of yours is for a human?"


 


"Ah come on Maria. You know that isn't fair you were right there in front of me."


 


"What exactly determines right there in front of you?"


 


"Well. I." A sigh escaped Joseph as he looked at Maria. "No matter what I say it's only going to end in another question from you isn't it?"


 


"Maybe."


 


Instead of getting flustered a slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he shook his head. "Can we continue this after I've had some more time to think?"


 


"Need time to get your battle plan set up do you?"


 


"Yes I'm afraid that I do."


 


"Well alright. We can talk about it some more later."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


"Mm this is nice." As she spoke Pera hugged Allen against her more firmly being careful not to bring him to the point of pain.


 


"Yeah it is but we can't stay like this all day. I think I can hear your stomach beginning to rumble."


 


A slight giggle escaped Pera as she gave a nod. "Yeah I think that's more of a growl though. I'm pretty sure she's angry with you."


 


"What? Why is she angry with me?"


 


"Well you are the one who has me pinned down so that I can't go eat."


 


At first Allen said nothing but simply looked at Pera as he considered what she'd said. A slight chuckle escaped him at last and he rolled off of her. "Well then there you go."


 


A sigh escaped Pera as she felt the weight of Allen's body leave hers. Part of her wanted to pull him back to her but she resisted. "How about we step outside and get a visual how much I've grown?" As she spoke Pera moved out of the little tent the two had been sharing and stood to her new height. Immediately she noticed the difference and was made to grin as Allen made his way out of the tent. She actually had to resist the urge to reach down and lift him up so he could see how much she'd grown more quickly.


 


Instead of standing up right away Allen took a moment to look up towards Pera's smiling face. He was slow to stand up because part of him wondered what would happen when he did. Pera could be excitable and while she did seem calm at the moment her tail was telling him another story. He wondered at times if she realized her tail flipped around when she was excited but had never bothered to ask her about it. As he stood up though the difference in size was quite apparent as he found himself eye level with her neck.


 


"Neat isn't it! I know you were below my eye level before but now you're looking at my neck. I bet by the time I'm done growing you'll be eye level with my chest or even slightly below it."


 


Finally Allen risked grinning as he looked up at Pera. "Now you'll have to be careful not to smother me when your chest starts coming in."


 


For a moment Pera continued to smile though that slowly faded as she realized what Allen had said. "What do you mean begins coming in!"


 


It was impossible for Allen to keep from chuckling as he noted how Pera's face changed. He had thought that would get a response from her. "I didn't mean anything but it I was just saying you'd need to watch out not to smother me in a few years."


 


"I've already began to fill out!"


 


"Um Pera are you sure you should be yelling things like that?"


 


"How could you not have noticed by now!" As she spoke Pera puffed out her chest a bit and placed her hands upon it. As she rested her hands on her chest Pera subconsciously gave it a slight squeeze in a desire to make it more noticeable.


 


This time Allen wasn't able to keep from laughing as it was clear his comment had annoyed Pera a little bit. "Well I suppose you might have already started."


 


"Oh you're going to pay for that one just you wait." As she spoke Pera removed her hand from her chest.


 


"Well he does have a point there." Terima had a wide grin on her face and made her way over to Allen and Pera. "Don't worry though we can't all be early bloomers like me." With those words Terima stuck out her chest and immediately noted the expression on Pera's face.


 


At first Pera was made to recoil a bit as she glared at Terima then down at her own chest. It was undeniable that Terima was blooming faster then she was however Pera wasn't about to say that out loud. "Keep those puffed out like that and I'm going to smack them off."


 


Immediately Terima was made to giggle though she did relax her pose. "Still Allen that's going a bit far. You should know better then to make such comments about us girls. Perhaps Pera should yank those trousers off and see how you're developing."


 


Allen felt his skin warming up almost immediately. "Um no. No need for that. That was entirely rude of me Pera and I promise to refrain from such comments in the future." As the words left his mouth Allen noticed Terima giving him a toothy grin and felt certain he'd said too much.


 


"Now that isn't a good sign! For him to refuse that quickly don't you believe you should examine him now? I mean if you're going to be together don't you want to know what your guy has in advance."


 


In response to Terima's comment Pera was made to giggle. "I suppose that it would be nice to have some ideal of what I have to look forward to in the future."


 


"Come on Pera don't joke like that."


 


"Hm just one little peak." As she spoke Pera began to walk towards Allen and extended the claws on her right hand making certain that he could see.


 


"Pera I would really prefer if you didn't do that." While Allen knew that he couldn't outrun Pera and wasn't willing to scream for help in this situation as Pera came closer he was becoming concerned.


 


Once she was back within arms reach of Allen Pera came to a stop and began to extended her hand towards his waste. Before she could take hold of his waste band though her face cracked and she found herself struggling to keep from giggling as she noted how tense Allen was. "Allen you should know I wouldn't strip you by force!"


 


Despite his resolve to stand his ground a long sigh immediately escaped Allen as he shook his head and felt his legs grow weak. "Okay you had me really worried there for a few."


 


"I mean if I really wanted to see you naked I would just sneak a peak while you were bathing or something."


 


"Hey!"


 


Once again Pera was made to giggle though this time she stuck her tongue out at Allen. "Well serves you right for commenting on my development."


 


"Yeah I suppose it did." A sigh escaped Allen as he gave his head a shake.


 


Terima couldn't help but grin as she watched Allen and Pera however her stomach soon got her attention once again. "Okay you two we've got two more days of good eating. Let's get to work. I want to hunt some clams up before it's time to eat this time and get them cooking. Maria and Joseph left a little while before you woke up so we there should be even more to go around."


 


"They left already? I was hoping to speak with Joseph some more."


 


While it wasn't much Pera did note the disappointment in Allen's voice. It wasn't surprising given that Joseph was one of the few people he could speak with while the sisters were eating. He probably didn't feel too comfortable speaking with the orcs just yet. "Yeah but don't worry. I'll make sure to keep you company from here on out." As she spoke Pera brought her tail up and wrapped it around Allen's waste.


 


"Thanks but I don't want to slow down your eating."


 


"Who said I was going to slow down? I'll just have to eat that much faster to insure that by the time your finished so am I. Though I would appreciate it if you would chew at least ten times before swallowing anything."


 


Allen couldn't help but grin as he forgot his previous disappointment. "Okay I'll take some more time to savor my food."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Alex set quietly as he glanced over his shoulder back towards the village they'd left. He hadn't mentioned it to Markus but they were finally far enough away that he could no longer feel the affects of the beasts. Due to their bodies draining the latent energy from the environment it made spells like teleportation extremely difficult and risky to use either into or out of their village. Given how bad losing just a little energy and ending up a few meters shorter or further then you wanted to be tended to be he couldn't risk such a spell there.


 


Markus for his part currently lay sleeping near the fire. In his right hand he held his sheathed sword closely to him. The weapon wasn't metal but had been crafted from one of the creatures of the forest. It was better then most steels he'd ever seen. Despite having taken the first watch though he began to stir relatively soon upon feeling the sun upon him and opened his eyes upon noticing the smell of something cooking. "Are you already working on breakfast Alex?"


 


"Not exactly Markus."


 


Markus's surprise upon hearing Alex's words was quite visible as he set up and looked towards his traveling companion. "What are you cooking up there then?"


 


"Something to ease our travels." As he spoke Alex gave the fire a few pokes with a stick to insure the flames stayed hot. He wanted his potion to come out just right.


 


"Uhuh? May I know what it is then?"


 


"It's known by a few different names but effectively it's a sort of mystic accelerant. Typically it's for when a mage knows they're going to need a massive amount of energy output but they don't have to worry about the duration of the spell."


 


As Alex had been speaking Markus had gone from surprised by his claim that he wasn't preparing breakfast to concerned. He didn't really need to ask why Alex was preparing a potion for a mage as it could mean very few things. "Are you saying that you're a mage?"


 


Instead of responding verbally Alex held up his hand and parted his fingers slightly. A small burst of light appeared between his fingers moments later and there hovered a cat's eye sized fireball for but a moment before vanishing. His grin didn't fade in the least as Markus stood up and began to walk over to him. "I don't intend on going back to serve those beasts. Once this potion is ready I'll use it and cast a spell to teleport both of us out of here."


 


"So you were the one behind all those magic crystals and scrolls?"


 


Markus's tone actually surprised Alex being far less excited then he believed he would be. For the moment though he brushed it off and looked at him. "Yeah I was. I can't say that plan went as I had hoped it would though."


 


"How so?"


 


"Well for one thing it was never my intentions to have someone pick me to gain my freedom. Rather I had planned to make my escape with the others but well they acted at a poor time. They got scared whenever some of their supplies were found and made the run early."


 


"So why didn't you join in?"


 


"I was exhausted simply put. I had used up most of my energy working on those scrolls and didn't have the energy to try to make an escape. So I simply waited behind and saw how things turned out. Fortunately I learned about you and had enough energy to prepare."


 


"You cast a spell on me?"


 


"Yes but don't go thinking it was a spell to convince you to choose me. Rather it was more of a spell that decreased your odds of choosing someone that didn't meet the same criteria as me. It seemed the safest way to go given the situation."


 


"So you got damn lucky."


 


"Well I like to believe luck favors the prepared and aren't you the fortunate one now? In just a short while I'll teleport us both to safety."


 


There was no immediate response from Markus as he looked at Alex. Part of him wanted to strike the man right now for not speaking up and allowing all those others to be tortured. They were two parts of him that told him not to for two different reasons. One being that he had no ideal how powerful a mage he was truly dealing with and the other that wanted to escape the forest. He didn't have long to listen to either of them.


 


"Finally!"


 


Nearly the instant the words hit their ears Markus and Alex heard an incredibly loud thump and turned in the direction of the sound. Both of them were made to recoil slightly as they saw the beast before them. Her fur was a deep black with tiny bits of gray mixed in though not quite visible in the morning light, her build was similar to sisters they'd both seen before but appeared somewhat more defined while her eyes appeared to be black.


 


The single feature that stuck out the most about her though wasn't her muscles or coloring. Rather it was the claws that extended from her fingers. They were oddly shaped though only slightly different from the other beast Markus had seen. While most sisters claws seemed to be made for cutting though hers seemed better suited for rending rather then leaving a nice clean cut.


 


Vera had a wide grin on her face as she looked at Alex and Markus. She'd been following them since they left the village knowing that it would mean missing our on her feasting. Now it seemed like that pursuit was over though as she looked at Alex. "You've been quite elusive and rather annoying prey Alex. I don't believe I've ever had to hunt a single target this long. Then again this is the first time my prey has been right in front of me and I've had to wait to eat it."


 


As Alex looked at the beast before him he could hardly believe what had happened. He'd been a few hours away from completing the potion and escaping only to have this happen. For a moment he wondered how he'd not noticed her but then his eyes had came to rest upon the jewelry she was wearing. At least she'd made her intentions clear as he opened his hands and quickly gathered energy around them. Within but a moment the air began to vibrate around his hands sending out sonic waves very similar to the crystals he'd created earlier.


 


The sound hit Vera like a hammer and pain filled her head. A low growl escaped her in recognition of the sound and then nothing more as she began to walk towards Alex. "That isn't going to work on me." Even as the words left her lips pain was there. Vera couldn't deny the pain but it was no where near intense enough to hinder her judgment as she opened her mouth revealing a marvelous set of razor sharp teeth. She had learned to deal with such levels of pain a long time ago.


 


It was tempting to gloat but Alex refrained from doing so. The creature seemed to believe he was trying to bring her to her knees through the sound waves. There was no such intention though as he shot a wave of energy into the fire. The affect was immediate as the magic interacted with the flames a massive wall of mystically infused smoke burst forth and quickly blocked out the light. Even before he was completely engulfed though his legs began to work and he was grateful they had as he heard an impact only centimeters behind him as Vera had tried to pounce him.


 


Vera was surprised whenever she missed Alex. It brought a smile to her face as she realized he truly seemed to be rather clever though she felt certain she could have struck him. All she would have had to do was lash out at everything around her. Unfortunately that would have also meant opening up Markus and she wanted to avoid doing that at the moment. She had no trouble realizing where the mage had began running though as she only had to follow the intensity of the sound waves he was emitting. Before she gave chase though a roar that seemed to resound throughout the entire forest escaped from her.


 


The smoke screen wasn't meant to give him long enough to escape Alex knew that it wouldn't. Rather it was meant to give him long enough to cast another spell. "Let the river flow and carry me swiftly through." As the words left his mouth Alex felt his own magic wrap around him and the world seemed to slow down as time began to warp around him.


 


Markus saw Alex burst free of the smoke and new immediately that this sister was playing with him as she emerged. He knew they could move faster then that. Instead of trying to stop them though a sigh escaped him and an emptiness born from more then hunger seemed to grow in his stomach. His plan to escape the forest depended on him having a partner to help him to do so. It was now clear that Alex wouldn't be that partner and he had no back up. All the time he'd spent teaching Alex about the forest had just been wasted as had his one freed claimed. He needed to set down and wished that he'd brought something to drink.


 


It was tempting to end the chase right there. It would have been easy for Vera to simply over power Alex and bring him back. She would have been allowed to eat sooner and could at least join in on some of the celebration. It was desirable but it wasn't what Vera desired the most. What she wanted at the moment was to see Alex's fear. To terrify him and cause him to give up in despair though she hoped to bring him back alive. She knew her sisters would want to deal with him as well for the pain he'd helped cause them.


 


There was no need for Alex to look back to know that the beast was still after him. He had been trained by Markus and had truly learned after all. He could tell by the sounds behind him that she was close behind him that his smoke screen had only bought him a few moments.


 


"Do you want to live?"


 


As the words reached him Alex felt his eyes widen. While he could hear the beast behind him these words seemed to come from in front, behind and to each of his sides. Yet he couldn't see anyone in front of him even as he ran. His stride didn't break though he realized despite the time magic he'd used while in the smoke screen speeding him up the beast was quickly catching up to him. Actually he had little doubt that she could catch him at any moment. "Who was that?"


 


"Do you want to live!"


 


When the words hit him again Alex was made to stumble slightly though he kept running. Even as he ran though he could swear he felt something brushing against the back of his neck. He expected any moment that he would feel something slam into him and he'd meet with the ground. At least with him running at such speeds though the fall might be enough to kill him. That was actually what was keeping him alive though.


 


Vera wanted to bring Alex back alive. She wanted to toy with him first and then let her sisters toy with him for what he'd done. She wanted to hear him scream and beg for the pain to end. That didn't mean she was going to let him escape though. So whenever she'd heard him speaking she'd prepared to strike and risk killing him if it sounded like he was casting a spell. It had been clear moments later though that it wasn't a spell he was trying to cast. "You'd better run faster then that or I'm going to eat you!"


 


"Yes!"


 


As the words hit her ears Vera forgot her footing for a moment and felt it slam into a root. The root was immediately pulped but it provided enough resistance so what was a graceful run quickly become a stumbling jog as she had to catch herself. A lopsided grin appeared on Vera's face as she suddenly felt very strange. Of all the things she'd expected Alex to shout that hadn't been one of them. The ideal that she'd scared him so badly that he'd actually went a little nutty was amusing but as she chased him that seemed a bit far fetched. She doubted she was scarey enough to frighten him that badly after all.


 


"Then open yourself to me and cast now!"


 


As the words hit his ears Alex felt like something had gripped his body. The feeling was sickening but incredibly strong. His instincts screamed out to him to reject it and push it aside as he heard the sound of branches being torn asunder behind him he turned around and extended his hand. He didn't need to cast a spell as he'd been sustaining the sonic waves he'd been generating before and now focused them into a single blast.


 


Vera could hardly believe it. Alex had actually turned to face her. The notion that he'd gone insane actually seemed a lot more possible now. Before she could truly finish the thought though she noted a ripple emerge from his hand and quickly rush towards her. Realizing the mage had cast a spell she couldn't help but grin as she prepared to push through the magic. A look of shock appeared on her face for but a moment as she felt the energy slam into her, overwhelm her mass and then separate her from the ground sending her flying back until she met with a tree.


 


Alex could hardly believe it. When the energy had first began to enter into him he had felt like he was going to explode such that he felt there was no choice but to release it. He hadn't really been thinking whenever he cast the spell at the pursuing beast but a wave of excitement ran through him as he realized the spell had affected her. That excitement vanished quite soon though as the voice returned.


 


"Run!"


 


While before the voice had seemed to be coming from around him now the voice seemed to come from within. What surprised Alex even more though was that he didn't even have to think about obeying. Before he'd even had time to realize what the order had truly meant his legs had began moving as had his lips as he moved to intone another spell. There wasn't time for teleportation the beast would catch up to him long before that but there was time for other spells.


 


Vera didn't know what to think truly as she felt her back slam into the tree. She heard a loud crack and felt the tree lean backwards. Her feet and hands pressed against it and she quickly pushed forward knowing full well the tree would fall. She wasn't harmed but the fact that a spell had managed to influence her like that was surprising. She wasn't certain what was going on but thoughts of playing with the mage had vanished from her mind as she resolved to deal him a serious injury if not openly kill him. Then she was greeted by only the smell of the forest.


 


Markus gave a slight jump as he heard a rather massive impact. Turning in the direction of the sound he couldn't quite see the tree fall but he could most assuredly hear it. A long sigh escaped him as he realized that Alex must be fighting the sister that had arrived. To Markus this only meant that Alex would be dead soon though it also made him wonder about what was going to happen to him. Silently he picked up a stick and began to poke at the remains of the fire that Alex had made to brew his potion in attempt to get it to burn a bit hotter. It was the cold season and he wanted to warm up a little.


 


Alex was blocking his sent. This fact alone filled Vera with an entirely new level of anger as she realized how much he was trying to escape. Of course, he was the mage that had created the scrolls to block scent so he had to know how to cast such spells. Now if he could evade her eyes and possibly her ears he truly had a chance at escape. Her old feelings of enjoyment vanished as she began to run more quickly her mind turning towards thoughts of the kill. She was even less happy though as she heard another spell leave his lips.


 


The ground beneath Alex's feet seemed to grip at his feet but only slightly as it yielded all the more when the beast hit it the ground would do far more then grip as the spell converted the solid earth to sludge. He had considered freezing the ground but the voice had told him otherwise. Those claws would easily tear through frozen ground and allow the creature to keep her traction. Sludge was a different story. No matter how graceful or firm her grip was the beast after him was still a massive creature. She would sink deeply into the earth and that would buy him all the more time. It was a tactic he could have never used on his own though for to affect the earth deeply enough and in a wide enough area he truly had to expend massive amounts of energy.


 


Vera growled. If this had just been a regular chase she would have actually been having fun. This wasn't a normal chase as this wasn't a person she could just let go. Thoughts of play and taking Alex alive had left her mind as she leaped into the air and slammed her feet against the first tree she came to. The sound of the tree cracking and crumbling where her feet struck resounded throughout the forest as Vera moved over the sludge that Alex had created. As she leaped into the air though she was made to feel sick to her stomach whenever Alex turned and released another burst.


 


Alex could have sworn he felt the creatures anger as his spell threw her off her intended path and sent her flying through the forest. He had already taken care of his scent and sound. Now he just needed her to lose site of him for a few moments. "Once I give her the slip I can leave this forest and this nightmare will" Alex didn't get to finish the thought as he felt something grip him by the heart. His legs kept moving but he soon realized something truly unexpected. He knew that he couldn't leave the forest.


 


A roar that seemed to make even the tree shudder in fear escaped Vera as she quickly bounded through the forest. Every muscle in her body was tensed prepared to tear anything she encountered to pieces as she quickly dashed back towards Alex. She didn't even notice as her shoulder slammed into a somewhat thin tree and pulped it in an instant. Another enraged growl escaped her though upon coming to the muck field Alex had created. Instinctively she took in several deep breaths hoping to pick up his scent again. When nothing came to her nose she quickly leaped into the trees and began to search.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


"So you can't teach shamanistic magic?"


 


To Allen's question Coinus gave his head a slight shake. "I'm afraid not. It's not the same as your alchemy or your wizardry. In order to become a shaman one must convince the spirits to share their power with you."


 


"I thought there was some shamanistic magic that didn't require dealings with spirits though."


 


The orc couldn't help but grin as he spoke to the human boy. He had ended up setting down a little close to the beasts hoping to speak with them but had realized that wasn't going to happen while they were eating. The young male seemed to be good company though. "That's partly true in a way I suppose. The power you speak of is the power one learns to draw from their own spirit and the energy that flows throughout the natural world. However, while using this energy doesn't require any dealing with the spirits of the world that can greatly hinder your use of it if you've dealt poorly with them."


 


"I see. So what do you teach young shaman?"


 


"For the most part we teach them respect, basic combat skills and how to get in tune and communicate with the spirits. We may also introduce them to the spirits if we feel they're worthy. One must be careful when doing introductions though. A poor introduction can sour a spirits feelings not just towards the person being introduced but for the person that did the introducing as well."


 


"Sort of like if you brought a friend over to another friend's home and they ended up setting it on fire?"


 


It was impossible for Coinus to keep from grinning at Allen's rather extreme example. "Well that is one way of looking at it for certain. Friends tend to be more forgiving then spirits though. As hard as it is to open up relationships with most spirits its even harder to repair them once they've been broken. Trust is something that's very important amongst them and once lost it may never be regained."


 


"Why wouldn't they forgive you for what the person you introduced did though?"


 


"It is because they trusted your judgment in introducing that person. It..." Coionus went silent as Pera, Kersara and nearly every other sisters suddenly stood up and looked towards the water. He also noted Kelah had joined them. "I do believe our conversation has been cut short young Allen."


 


Before Allen could respond he felt Pera take hold of him and lift him from his seat. As he looked up at her face he noticed she was still watching the water. At first the ocean seemed to be perfectly normal but then he noticed a blue wave heading towards them. Concern that they were about to be hit by a massive tsunami was there but then her heard the sound. He heard the sound of thousands of teeth shattering and the sound of water splashing. The wave grew closer and as it did he noticed that it wasn't just pure blue water there were odd color abnormalities about it.


 


Kersara took in a deep breath as she noticed the size of the wave. "Pera take Allen inland and keep him safe." As she finished speaking Kersara climbed over the table and began to walk towards the water. Her muscles seemed to tense and her claws extended completely. She could smell the creatures coming now and she was amazed by how many smells there was to be had.


 


"Pera what are those?"


 


Terima didn't give Pera a chance to answer as she joined them. "They're kobolds or the water variety and they are so very many of them."


 


Kelah had a grin on her face as she looked at the young sisters and brother. "Okay kids quit standing around like that and get your tails to moving. Everyone get your weapons archers and flame handlers to the back of the line at least thirty meters! Everyone else find your partners and get formed up I want a line two teams deep extending to either side of me!" Now Kelah was made to grin as she readied her weapons. "I'll be the spear head."


 


"Oh really?" Kersara had a grin on her face as she glanced back at Kelah. Instead of commenting further Kersara pushed off the ground and began to dash towards the oncoming wave. The sound of her foot steps slamming into the sand was audible for most of the visible beach front despite the yield of the sand.


 


At first Kelah had no ideal what to say. None had ever dashed ahead of her like that but Kersara was rushing at full speed. She was so dazed that it took her a moment to notice that Razor had joined her. "Ah Razor, back of the line protect the ranged." Razor gave a slight snort in response to Kelah's words and began to quickly reposition himself as well as the rest of the tuskers. It wasn't the animals nature to wait in the back but they were trained to obey such commands. What the tusker didn't realize is why Kelah had given the order. She didn't want to risk one of the sisters deciding to open him up or one of his fellow tuskers.


 


Kersara had seen waves of kobolds like this before both of the land and water type. However, as the wave grew closer and it became how large it truly was she wished that she'd had another day of eating. Another day to put on some more mass and power. As in truth she couldn't remember the last time that she'd heard the sound of so many rushing towards her.


 


End Book 3

Chapter 20 by happiest_in_shadows

Razor was a busy tusker. The wave of kobolds had hit with remarkable speed and force such that there had hardly been time to prepare. There had been time though thanks to the large fury creatures he'd been instructed to fight along side. His leader had placed the heavy second skin upon him while they'd held the strange smelling creatures off and then released him. The second skin was a bit uncomfortable and hindered movement a bit but it protected him and his leader insisted that he wear it. Now he was busy goring the strange smelling creatures and tossing them about before moving on. Several of his group followed behind cleaning up the survivors and covering his flank much like he was doing for his leader now or trying. The leader tended to get out a bit ahead of him and try as he might it was hard to keep her covered. Not that she ever came back injured but at times the tusker wondered if she ever realized the stress she caused him.


 


They should have brought more. It was a obvious thought but it was profound to Kelah. With the warriors she had with her Kelah felt certain that she could push back any attack made upon them. As she swung her axes though and cut through four of the water kobolds she knew she'd never seen this many before or anything near it. She had actually only been aiming for three of the small creatures. Where the fourth one had come from was entirely beyond her but she knew she couldn't let up. "Hold your ground don't let them through."


 


Dinon took in a deep breath as he looked out towards the water. The beach was full of the water kobolds except for a few pockets where the sisters and orcs had cut an opening. That wasn't anywhere near their numbers though as he found himself looking beneath the surface of the water. It was a frightening sight but he had to keep his focus as he began to chant. While Kelah and the warriors fought with full intensity he and the other support shaman had to carefully conserve their energy and send it out in gentle pulses. At the moment he was focusing on drawing excess heat out of the body of the warriors and helping to purify the air they breathed in. As he was doing this though he could feel a welcome but somewhat unfamiliar presence. The fire spirit was all to happy at the moment to take the excess heat he drew from the other orcs making his job easier.


 


"Pera! Pera!" As Kersara called out she took hold of the nearest water kobolds head and gave it a squeeze. The head burst so quickly her fingers didn't even seem to slow down as she reached for another one of the creatures.


 


"Over here Kersara!"


 


"Are you okay!"


 


"Yes but busy." Even as she was speaking Pera was busy holding back the kobolds. The task was difficult as not all of them wanted to attack her rather several of them seemed to want to get past her. She had a pretty good ideal why. Just a few meters behind her Terima was helping Allen to retreat to a safer location. While the two sisters were able to handle themselves neither of them were willing to risk a young brother being killed.


 


"Is Allen with you?"


 


"Yes"


 


"Take him towards the orcs they've formed a defensive wall the forest isn't safe."


 


As the words hit her ears Pera could hardly believe them. In the current situation though she didn't dare to ask why though. "Alright Kersara then after that should we join you?"


 


"No! Protect Allen and the orcs that are using magic." While Kersara knew that Pera was only trying to help she couldn't help but let some frustration drift into her voice.


 


Pera didn't even think about the tone of Kersara's voice. Rather she and Terima shifted direction and began to make their way towards the orcs. While she was moving she was amazed by the speed with which the water kobolds continued pressing the attack.


 


What should they do? As the thought went through her head Kelah swung her left hand ax up in a great arc catching one of the kobolds that had leaped towards one of her soldiers. She doubted the creature even realized its mistake as it fell to the ground in halves. They could fall back towards the forest in order to gain some additional cover but that would mean moving their lines. That would disrupt casting and could end up opening a crack. They could continue to hold their ground and try their best to hold out. Surely the kobolds had a limit to their numbers after all.


 


She wasn't alone in this though. Even with the mass of water kobolds rushing them she could still see the sisters out front fighting. Kersara was especially noticeable as the massive female seemed to be more stomping her way through a red mud puddle then actually fighting. It made Kelah wish the sisters had more time to put on some extra mass though. Kelah was actually surprised whenever she gave a violent snort moments later as if she'd just been offended. There was a moment of confusion and then a grin formed on her face. Night fang was growling at her.


 


Kelah was the leader of her pack and here she was looking towards others as if expecting leadership. This was not becoming of an alpha and she knew it. Before Kelah even knew what was happening she felt something swell up within her and her mouth had opened up. A howl that seemed to to lift itself above the sound of the kobolds and the crashing waves escaped her moments later and she quickly shifted stances weapons at the ready. Her weapons became a blur.


 


Dinon had felt that one. That had been more then a howl that escaped Kelah as the orcs began to fight with a ferocity he wasn't prepared for. What was even more surprising though was how their behavior shifted. He saw a kobold rush towards one of the orcs. The creature was struck down though not by the orc it had been attacking but rather by another orc whose weapon had been free at the moment. The act was repaid shortly after without a glance or a whisper. Each warrior had began to fight to protect the pack and the pack now fought to protect each warrior. Soon Dinon realized that he himself had even been affected.


 


"Spirit of flame I come before you as one who speaks to spirits and wishes to know the flame. I come before you as one who wishes to carry the fire within himself and feed those flames. I beseech you now for your aid in this hour and ask you to stretch forth your hand."


 


Kelah didn't know where it had come from but she was rather surprised whenever a portion of the beach was suddenly lit on fire. She heard the kobolds scream and watched them scatter some of them desperately trying to rush back to the sea. However, with the onrushing kobolds coming from the water this only resulted in them being knocked to the ground and trampled.


 


Dinon took in a deep breath as he looked at the affects of the wave of fire he'd just released. His arms hurt and he didn't know how he'd convinced the spirit to lend him so much fire. The bit of energy that he had offered to the spirit and the heat he brought from his brethren hardly seemed worth it. He wasn't going to complain about the results though.


 


"Dinon was that you?"


 


"You better believe it Kelah!"


 


"Can you do it again?"


 


"Not a chance!"


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as she continued to hold the line. "That's just like a man! One good shot and your done!"


 


"Hey!"


 


As Kelah taunted Dinon she was a bit surprised whenever the kobolds nearing her side suddenly vanished underneath a massive feline figure. She already knew it was Kersara. "What's going on?"


 


"Could you spare some orcs to go into the forest they're trying to flank us."


 


"What? How can you tell?"


 


"I can hear them and they've used the tactic on me before. They're going to try to attack you in the back."


 


Instead of speaking to Kersara Kelah redirection her attention. "First two groups on the right and left wing fall back everyone else collapse and tighten the line. Move into the forest to counter a flanking maneuver." As she finished speaking Kelah gave an extremely sharp high pitched whistle. "Razor to the flank!"


 


Despite everything Kersara was rather surprised by the speed with which the orcs reformed their lines and the response time of the tuskers. Before she knew what to say Razor had already redirected his group and joined up with the orcs who were making their way into the forest. "Damn it Kelah I'm never going to be able to eat a tusker again after this day!"


 


It was impossible for Kelah to keep from chuckling. "Ah well. Now get back to the battle ever since you started talking to me they've been pushing us harder."


 


As she spoke Kersara began to push back out into the battle field. "Pace yourself they're a lot of them but they can only cram so many on the beach at any given moment. If you're injured come to the orcs and take a few moments to recover in the center."


 


Allen was scared. While he'd been prepared for the ideal that they might be attacked on the beach he hadn't expected anything like this. He was scared for himself, he was scared for his friends but most of all he was scared of losing Pera who he constantly found himself looking to check on. He was glad she'd put on the extra height over the last few days. Not only did it mean she was safer but it made her easier to see.


 


"Come on Allen we're about there."


 


"Is Pera okay?"


 


Part of Terima wanted to tell Allen he could see for himself from the way he was looking back. She chose not to though. "She'll be doing better once we get you to a safer location." As she spoke Terima lashed out with her right foot shattering the head of one of the kobolds that got too close.


 


"I'm sorry."


 


"Allen talk later move now!" While Pera knew that Allen was only trying to be considerate as she found herself busy with the water kobolds she knew she didn't have time to be understanding. This was a battle zone and in truth Allen had never been in one. Pera as most sisters even the young ones had seen blood shed before though so she had some ideal of the danger. She'd explain it to Allen later but for now she needed him to move.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Kiara didn't know what was going as she felt the kobold shatter under her fist. She knew that Fera had gone to deal with the kobolds only a few weeks ago and had surely reduced their numbers. As she struck down the creatures though their numbers were staggering. She killed the ones that came within arms reach as quickly as she could but that was only the kobolds that were attacking her. Many more rushed past her running strait towards the village. She'd already given a roar of warning but she couldn't help but give another as she continued to try to hold them off.


 


Dan felt odd as he was rushed into the dining hall. The building had been designed to hold as many of the sisters as may want to eat there at peak hours so it was easy to fit all the brothers and even the claimed into it when they were so few inside. Most of the sisters had responded to Kiara's warning and thus were outside. They were some that had remained inside and were currently serving as a barrier between them and the claimed. Mina was of course one of those who had stayed outside. It made him a little sad.


 


Mina didn't know what was going on as she dashed through the forest towards Kiara's location. Currently she was alone having chosen to go by herself to give the other sisters time to prepare for whatever was coming. They couldn't just leave Kiara out by herself though so she'd chosen to go and retrieve her. As she ran deeper into the forest the sounds of thousands of little feet drew her attention. This sound was eclipsed moments later though by more thunderous foot steps as a massive figure even by Mina's standards appeared a short distance away. "Fera!"


 


"Hey there Mina."


 


"What are you doing out here?"


 


"There is a massive surge of life energy heading towards the village. I warned the over matrons about it."


 


It was rare for a matron to leave the village even whenever a battle was going on. The fact that Fera had already chosen to go out to confront this force told Mina a lot. The primary thing it meant though was that this was truly a massive attack. "Fera please tell me that you're just hungry and couldn't wait to cram some fresh meat into your mouth."


 


"Ha! I only wish that was the problem. What are you doing out here Mina?"


 


"Kiara is out there fighting whatever is attacking. I'm going to get her and bring her back to the village."


 


For a moment Fera was silent but looked in the direction of the kobolds. She could already feel her blood beginning to flow faster as she gave a toothy grin. "I'm glad you said that. I probably wouldn't have even thought to look for her if you hadn't mentioned it. Mina I can see an extremely notable concentration of life energy pretty much strait ahead of us. The bulk of the wave is coming from the north though so I'm going to go in that direction. I want you to get Kiara and then get back to the village alright?"


 


"Sure Fera. Is there anything else?"


 


"Tell the other keepers and matrons that I can't stop this many by myself."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


"Dan what are you doing?"


 


"Huh? Oh hey Herald I'm just working on something."


 


"Right now?"


 


"Sure why not? Would you like to help?"


 


"That depends on what it is."


 


"Well from the way the sisters were reacting I'm guessing that we're under attack by something. I figured they'd like some toys to use whenever whatever is attacking gets here so I'm making some explosives."


 


"Are you serious? We're in the dining hall!"


 


"I'm serious enough that I want you to get away from that pot. It's not too dangerous at the moment but if you spilled it then it could still cause a very large fire."


 


Instead of jumping or jerking away Herald took a moment to look at the pot setting on the stove. He then slowly straitened up and moved away from it. "I swear this is a first isn't it? Then again perhaps this is just a drill."


 


"I doubt it's a drill. Mina's reaction time was far too slow for it to be a drill." A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he looked towards the direction Mina had ran in. Despite all the sisters' power and confidence they had still been prepared for an attack upon the village. The dining hall was situated so that it could serve as not only a place to get a meal but during an attack a place for none combatants to take shelter in while the sisters went to check on the situation. "Yeah it's my first time in here due to an actual attack. Though I heard stories."


 


"Really?"


 


"Just one of them was from someone who had been there though. Apparently the sisters had evicted a dragon from the forest for its behavior. The dragon didn't take it too lightly and decided it would be a good ideal to rain fire down upon the village. As our sisters can't fly this proved to be something of a problem."


 


"I see so they had the brothers take shelter. How did they end it though?"


 


"Five brothers working together to cast one lightning spell and a forest floor full of very angry sisters."


 


"Ouch! I bet that bastard never knew what hit him."


 


"I kind of hope it did. Would you mind fetching that salt for me?"


 


"Sure just tell me what you need and I'll help out."


 


"You two do realize that we're here as well." Zerona had a wide grin as she stepped into the kitchen. "How about I go and fetch some things from the alchemy shop for you?"


 


Dan had a smile on his face as he looked back at the guardian. "Don't you need to stay here to protect us from the claimed should they decide it's a good time to rebel?"


 


"Naturally but they're enough of us here for one of us to step out for a few to pick up some useful items. Besides it isn't like they have any weapons."


 


The question had been meant as a joke but Dan was made to grin at Zerona's answer. At times he forgot how week the sister's tended to see the bodies of brothers' as. "Okay I'll make you a short list."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


This was crazy. As Kiara lashed out at the kobolds she could feel her claws easily tear through them an see them fall. However, whenever she looked to see the fallen there was another kobold standing there. They were so many attacking that she was was forced to move constantly so that as she shifted her weight to her right leg and struck out with her left she was also setting her left limb down in order to make use of her right. The motion was so constant that she actually appeared to be dancing in many regards.


 


"Kiara!" As Mina made her way through the kobolds she could hear and smell Kiara by now. Unfortunately due to all the kobolds running around her she couldn't see her. Fortunately Kiara could see her.


 


While Kiara's movements seemed to be a dance Mina's was anything but. There was no attempt on Mina's part to avoid the kobolds but she slammed into them head on. The creatures seemed to break against her body like waves breaking against the face of a cliff. Except this cliff didn't just wait for the wave but continued to move forward shattering those kobolds that crashed into her and crushing those who got caught underfoot. It made for an impressive site.


 


"Kiara where are you!"


 


"Here Mina!" A slight yelp escaped Kiara when she heard the sound of stone being crushed. Before she could think a massive arm shot past her and the kobolds that stood before it seemed to explode.


 


"Kiara thank goodness. Are you alright?" Even as she spoke Mina turned and moved Kiara so that she was between the kobolds and Kiara.


 


"I'm. Yeah I'm fine. Mina are you okay."


 


"You're coming back to the village now we'll focus our defenses there." Even as she spoke Mina spun around and lashed out against several of the kobolds. The creatures didn't seem to provide the least bit of resistance.


 


"Mina are you okay?"


 


"I'm fine I was just worried about you. Now let's get you back to the village." Even as she spoke Mina's thoughts turned to her mother. She wondered if her mother believed that she would be fine before she was overwhelmed by the kobolds. She probably had.


 


"Shouldn't we try to hold them here and keep them from reaching the village? At least as many as we can."


 


"Fera is seeing to that. Our presence here will just slow her down and besides. It's best to combine your strength with your allies in these matters. Now let's move."


 


Kiara was going to comment but Mina gave her a rather notable shove. It didn't send her to the ground or hurt but it got her moving and it made the message very clear. She began to move with Mina running slightly ahead of her. As she ran though she looked back over her shoulder. She was surprised by what she saw. Mina's massive tail was flicking about and had somehow been turned red. She saw why as her massive tail smacked one of the kobolds. There was a wet crunch, the creature went flying and Kiara doubted it would ever get up again.


 


"Mina has Dan ever seen you do that?"


 


"Do what?"


 


"Use your tail to splatter something."


 


"Huh? Is this really the time for such a conversation? Ah well never mind. A few times. Why do you ask?"


 


"He's a brave man then."


 


"Huh?"


 


"I've seen how he'll try to tackle your tail."


 


Despite the situation Mina couldn't help but chuckle. "I agree that he's a brave man but that's not why he's brave. He knows that my tails loves him as much as the wrest of me and would never harm him. Mm I'll have to give my tail a good washing though before I let him touch it again. I don't want Dan getting blood on him."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


"What are these?"


 


"They're fire bombs. Dan made a bunch of them in the kitchen and said that you could all use them. Just give them a good toss and they'll make a nice explosion."


 


For a moment Flora said nothing but continued to examine the small round objects. The thought of using a magical item even one that had been made alchemically was strange to her. "I wonder how big of an explosion they'll make."


 


"I'm not sure. Dan just said don't throw them close to the dining hall or anything you don't want to risk torching."


 


"Okay then. Give them out to the other keepers, let them know what they are and then get back to the dining hall." As she spoke Flora took three of the bombs for herself. "At least we can use them in the beginning I suppose."


 


Zerona gave a quick nod and began to dash off towards the other keepers in the area. She stopped herself after the first step remembering what Dan had said about being careful with the bombs. As she ran along though she took a moment to look around the area and note where her sisters were. The keepers had gathered in the front and currently stood guarding the most vulnerable areas of the village. The guardians stood between and behind the keepers filling the gaps in a sense of the word. They were massive areas of land that didn't have a sister standing upon it but to get past them one would have to run past their line of sight. "Hey Flora do you know what the brothers are doing?"


 


"I'm not sure. We sent them warning that we were going to be under attack soon. I'm sure they're busy securing anything important and preparing for the clean up."


 


"You mean working on something to break down the bodies?"


 


A slight giggle escaped Flora as she shook her head. "I'm hoping for some sauce instead." As she finished speaking Flora gave Zerona a rather toothy grin. She was quite happy whenever Zerona gave a grin of her own. Once Zerona turned and began to run away Flora looked back towards the forest where most of the sound was coming from. "I wonder how well toasted kobold is going to taste."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Dan gave a sigh and he slowly filled the pot with water being careful to observe the change in color as he did so. The moment the water began to change to anything beyond pink he would empty it out and begin again. A fact that Zerona was quite aware of. "Dan why do you keep emptying it when the water turns pink?"


 


"To keep it from becoming dangerous. You see the residue inside this container is still somewhat active. As it is mixed with water it becomes less stable and begins to give off a slight gas. The gas in small amounts isn't dangerous but in large amount becomes toxic."


 


"So that's why you're working so slowly. You're letting it fade away."


 


"Yeah. Normally I would simply place it in an inclosed chamber and burn it off as quickly as I could but we really can't do that here."


 


A slight chuckle escaped Zerona as she gave a nod. "Well I would have to stop you and explain to Mina later why your bottom was sore."


 


"Are you saying that you'd spank me?"


 


"I'd be tempted to if you did something like that."


 


Before Dan could comment a series of explosions drew his attention towards the walls. "I guess the fighting has started if they're using the fire bombs."


 


"Those sounded pretty impressive."


 


"I hope that they were enough."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Flora was a bit surprised by the fire bombs. Not so much because how much flame they produced but by how little. There had been some fire but what they truly seemed to produce was a shock wave. A shock wave that had torn apart every kobold within its effective range. She was made to smile at the sight despite the fact that by the time her lips were done parting more kobolds had taken their place and were now rushing forward. She was surprised though whenever several of them were suddenly converted into smears on the ground and she noted a massive paw print "Sora!"


 


"Hello sisters I figured I'd come down this way and lend you a hand after Fera stormed off."


 


"Fera is gone?"


 


"Yes she went to deal with the bulk of the kobolds. Now let's move."


 


While no sister could see Sora they could see the affects of her work and soon began to follow behind her as they noted a set of red stained claws and feet seemingly floating in the air. It would have been a frightening sight if they didn't know who those feet and claws belonged to.


 


"They're pushing from the northeast second line right five quickly reinforce."


 


As the words reached their ears five guardians quickly jumped from their location and rushed towards their destination. The sound of the kobolds and the sisters clashing seconds later filled the air. By having the keepers stand in front the sisters insured that their front line soldiers were the strongest and the most vital areas the best guarded. They could then reinforce these locations as needed by having certain guardians move from less essential areas and reinforce the keepers. Some of the younger sisters remained even further back then the guardians serving as callers and a final line should anything get past both the keepers and guardians.


 


As Flora tore through the kobolds she was amazed by their single minded devotion. Their weapons were far more crude then what even humans used and less effective. Yet they continued to push forward favoring their swarm tactics above all else. It seemed suicidal and foolish but the simple fact of the matter was that they had the numbers to get away with it. It was frustrating to her. The most idiotic attacks and yet at times they could make it work. It was strange though the kobolds had never attacked them like this. It made her concerned.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Mirin couldn't hide his frustration as he looked at Vera though he wasn't upset with her. News of the attack had reached the brothers of course but so had Vera's message. "I see. So shortly after Alex escapes from us this happens."


 


"The times are quite similar. I didn't notice the kobolds upon my return but they must have been right behind me. I've told you all I know though. I'm going to go join our sisters."


 


Before Vera could leave Roland spoke. "Hold on a moment Vera. Sora has already gone to help your sisters. We'd really prefer to keep you here."


 


"Huh? How come?"


 


"Safety issues."


 


A sigh escaped Vera as she gave a nod. "Fine I guess they get to have all the fun tonight since I got to enjoy my hunting."


 


"Thank you Vera."


 


"It's no problem. So what are you all thinking about though?"


 


Now Mirin spoke up. "We haven't been attacked like this in a long time. They swarmed in such large numbers and so quickly they must have been gathering for some time. Yet that's not really possible. If they would have gathered in large enough numbers to attack like this they would have been found out and killed off. So they must have been spread out over a great distance and ordered to attack at the same time."


 


Roland couldn't help but sigh as he heard this. "Mirin that's not a comforting thought. We've never seen the kobolds to have that level of communication before hand. If they do now that would imply that something has changed."


 


"I would agree with you though let's not think too much about such things now. First let's figure out how we're going to drive them out of our main territory."


 


"You don't believe the sisters will be able to handle it?"


 


"I believe they'll do it faster if we help them."


 


"You know they won't let us into the battle directly."


 


"True but we can help give them directions. I believe that we should recall Fera to the center of the battle zone and have her direct the other sisters to the largest group of kobolds. That way they can better direct their efforts and end this sooner."


 


"A nice ideal but there is a problem. Once the attack was learned of Fera went out to deal with the kobolds herself. You know how she gets whenever there are a lot of prey running around. She didn't want to risk accidentally biting one of our sisters in half."


 


"Well that is disappointing news. Then I propose that we begin scrying for the kobolds ourselves. While the concentrations of our sisters in the market section of the village will make it difficult to see anything there we should be able to see what's going on beyond the market. We can then guide them more carefully. Last I heard they had taken up defensive positions but if we can learn where the enemy is going to attack there is no need to hold such a strong defensive line all around."


 


"That sounds good Mirin. I'll go retrieve a few things for a wide area scrying spell."


 


Before anyone could leave the room Lansing chose to speak up. "Hold on a moment. While I agree providing communication is good is that really all we're going to do? Why don't we apply some magic and kill some of the kobolds ourselves?"


 


Mirin couldn't help but grin as he looked at Lancing. "Well because they'd be mad at us. You know that our sisters prefer to handle this sort of thing up close."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


"How did you do that!" Flora couldn't help the surprise in her voice as she looked at one of her fellow keepers. The massive woman was currently holding half a kobold in her right hand while the other half was missing.


 


"Huh? Do what Fera?"


 


"You just bit that kobold in half. I can't even fit that much into my mouth."


 


"Oh!" A slight chuckle escaped the keeper as she gave Flora a rather toothy grin. "I sort of swallow while I bight down. If done right instead of choking yourself you can force them down your throat while biting. You have to be careful though or you'll end up choking yourself."


 


A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she caught hold of one of the kobolds. Instead of slicing it apart with her claws she lifted the creature towards her mouth. Part of her was tempted to try and bight off half the creature's body as she'd just seen her fellow keeper do but she opted not to. She didn't want to risk being choked during a battle so instead she opted for biting off the kobolds head and tossing away the remains.


 


Zegin had been chosen to be one of the kobolds that would attack the home of the kitty creatures and lay waste to it. He had been excited whenever he'd been given this news though sad whenever he was told that he wouldn't be attacking right away. They'd been instructed to go and hide. They'd been told that they should go below ground and only eat roots. They'd dug deep into the earth and only eaten the roots they could find. More of them had arrived and it had become hard to gather the roots but they'd managed. Then they'd been told to go to the river and attack. He'd been so happy.


 


They would attack the kitty creatures and burn their homes. He knew many of them would die but there were so many that the odds of him being chosen to die seemed low. Besides his mind was more occupied by all the good food he'd get to eat once the kitty creatures were gone and all the fun. Then one of the kitty creatures had taken hold of him and he knew that his ribs had been broken. The pain was so intense that he was unable to scream. When he looked up though he'd saw her face growing closer and then seen her mouth opening up. He'd felt the heat from her breath as the battle had her breathing heavily as he was lifted towards her mouth and felt the moisture on his eyes.


 


The kitty creature's tongue had pressed against his face for but a moment and then he couldn't feel the rest of his body. Darkness had come soon after. Zegin didn't see Flora's teeth pass through his muscle and bone as if they weren't there. The act was so quick that he didn't even feel it as his head was removed from his body. It had taken less then a second for Flora to remove his head and his relevance in her mind lasted even less then that. At the moment her teeth went to sink into the kobolds throat her mind had already turned to the next of the creatures.


 


All around Flora her sisters were following a similar pattern. They would take hold of one of the kobolds or simply snap at them. They'd tear away a chunk of the creatures and either chew or swallow. While their mouths worked their arms and legs continued their busy task rending apart any kobold that came within the range of their reach.


 


"Fire! They're bringing fire!"


 


Through the ranks of the sisters everyone seemed to shift. Emerging from the forest were several kobolds some holding flaming sticks others packing what appeared to be lanterns. The lines shifted suddenly as the keepers and many of the guardians suddenly rushed forward into the lines of the kobolds. While the sisters remained grouped even such a multitude of kobolds was no threat to them. However, they all knew the fire wasn't meant for them. The little creatures intended to torch the market district and that wasn't something they were going to allow them to do.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


As Mirin placed his hands on the crystal he felt as if he was being lifted from the ground. His body became lighter and his eyes were made to close. When his eyes closed though he seemed to open another set of eyes though this one didn't show him color. Rather there was a sensation to it he could feel a great many things around him. "They are focusing on the market the largest group is about to push towards the northwestern entrance while another will be attacking from the south. The number of kobolds at the east gate is weak."


 


Even as Mirin was speaking Roland quickly inspected a map they had laid out showing him the entire village area. It only took him a moment to find the information that he needed and he touched upon the crystal nearest him. "There will be a strong push towards the northwest entrance and the southern path soon. The push from the east is the weakest."


 


A slight giggle escaped Maria as she sprinted along. For a moment she slowed as she glanced back at Joseph. "It doesn't work as well as you thought it would does it?"


 


Joseph gave a sigh as he looked at Maria. He'd been trying to blow on her ear however his efforts had been less then successful. The speed with which she was running through the forest pretty much negated his efforts. "If you'd just slow down a little more I think I could pester you some."


 


"Well don't expect that to be happening. I want to get home before night time rolls around."


 


"You want to get back to eating that badly huh?"


 


"You had better believe it!" A slight giggle escaped Maria for a moment. "Hey Joseph are you hungry?"


 


"Not particularly. Why do you want to stop and eat something?"


 


"Now that's the tough question. I want to hurry on home so I can eat the good stuff sooner. However, I'd also like to stop and snack on a few treats we've passed by."


 


"What treats? I haven't noticed any fruit or are you talking about some animals?"


 


"Neither actually. I recognized some of the plants we passed by and they have really tasty roots. Of course, to bring out the flavor first I'd have to dig them up then we'd need to wash them off and boil them a little bit to soften them up for you. It seems like it'd be a waste of time whenever there is a nice meal waiting for us back at the village. Besides now I'd have to turn around."


 


"We could skip the boiling. Like I said I'm not hungry at the moment."


 


"Ah I don't want to eat in front of you."


 


"You didn't have any trouble back at the beach."


 


"Well that was because there was food for you to eat readily at hand. It's different whenever the only food around is only stuff that I could stomach."


 


"It's no big deal. Besides what would you do if there was no other food handy and you had to try to eat something?"


 


"Try to breast feed you naturally."


 


Huh! You can't be serious!"


 


An amused giggle escaped Maria once again as she gave a sigh. "You know having you ride on my back kind of makes this easier. I don't have to worry so much about branches since my body shields you. If I were to carry you up front I'd have to worry about what I was smacking into. That said if I was carrying you in front of me I could rub my breasts against you right now. I swear. Life is full of so many tough decisions."


 


Joseph couldn't help but smile as he leaned forward against Maria and once again tried to blow on her ear. His efforts were still being frustrated by her constant movement but he wanted to give it another chance. "At least they're between what brings you the most joy instead of trying to choose what's going to cause you the least suffering."


 


Instead of responding right away Maria brought her tail up and quickly brushed her tail over the tip of his ear. An amused chuckle escaped her as she felt him shiver against her. "Persistence can have consequences you know."


 


"Maria do you ever consider the reason the brothers have never developed a means of transportation is the sisters don't want them to?"


 


"What do you mean?"


 


"Well by not allowing any form of pack animal into the village stating them as too dangerous or too tasty you force the brothers to rely upon you to get around. This increased reliance means that at least one sister will have a pretty good ideal of where every brother is at all times. Then if you gather all that information together you'd have a good ideal of what all of them may be planning."


 


An amused giggle escaped Maria as she looked back at Joseph. "Now that's quite a conspiracy theory. I suppose that it is possible though I can't remember ever setting down with my sisters and talking about our brothers like that."


 


"You haven't but what about the keepers? You haven't been to those conversations after all."


 


"Would you like to ask my mother about it?"


 


"Now how would that do any good? At best she would deny such a theory and at worse she'd realize that I'm on to her and the other keepers then try to get rid of me."


 


Once again Maria was made to chuckle though this time she included a slight head shake. "I can't deny that some mistakes haven't been made in the past in the name of doing what is best for our brothers and sisters. What about all of you though? You're always so quick to run us out of your labs whenever you're using magic claiming that the spell is too delicate to be cast around us. How do we know that you're not just using that as an excuse?"


 


"Hey now. You've seen the results of you being around whenever magic is being manipulated you've even seen how magic tems can be degraded in your presence."


 


"Oh I've seen it happen or I believe I have. How do we know that you simply weren't staging the whole thing though so we'd think it was our fault? It's not like any of us can actually use magic and very few of us know anything about it."


 


"Well I can honestly say I'm not keeping any such secrets from you."


 


"Of course you aren't. You're an alchemist but what about the mages?"


 


"That I don't know about. Even where I come from mages are noted as being extremely tricky so you have to be careful while dealing with them. You never know what's real and what's false with a mage." As Joseph spoke he was a bit surprised to notice Maria slowed down. He soon learned why as he realized her body was shaking and she was laughing.


 


"I just remembered a mage telling me pretty much the exact same thing about alchemist."


 


"What! Now where did he get off saying that?"


 


"Oh you like to pretend that your magic is safer then theirs. However, at least mages don't leave bottles laying around that if you break them they blow up half a building."


 


"That is a sign of a poor alchemist."


 


"Now there is no need to tell me that but you might want to tell him."


 


"I should have some words with this brother once we get back to the village. Exactly which one was it anyway?"


 


"Mirin."


 


"Huh? Are you serious?"


 


"Yep, though I believe he was a bit upset at the moment and probably miss directing some anger. You see his skin had been changed an interesting color."


 


"Ohh someone's project didn't go right and he was on the receiving end of the side affects."


 


A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she gave a nod. "Of course, this was a long time ago. It's kind of funny seeing Mirin as an adult now. Considering that I was asleep for twenty years."


 


"You knew him as a child didn't you?"


 


"I knew a lot of our brothers as children. Then I went to sleep for twenty years and when I woke up they were adults." Instead of laughing Maria was made to sigh slightly. It suddenly felt like something had taken hold of her heart and she slowed her pace a bit more.


 


"That must have been hard on you."


 


"Yeah it was but what's worse is I would have done it again if you hadn't come along. My sister was already scolding me for giving into my hunger and eating when I shouldn't after all."


 


"I'm sure you would have been fine without me."


 


"I'd actually put on a few extra centimeters that I wasn't allowed already Joseph. I don't believe anyone said anything out of respect for my mother and perhaps out of sympathy for me."


 


"Maria, you didn't mention this before."


 


"I really didn't want to think about it."


 


"I see. Well at least that is in the past now. Right now you're actually allowed to put on some extra height. Let's just be careful to make sure you don't overshoot what you're allowed."


 


"Yeah I don't want to have to wake up and see you twenty years older."


 


"I'll have to continue to work hard then so that I can find a way to keep you well fed. That way you won't have to worry about being put to sleep and I won't have to worry about you being hungry all the time."


 


"Are you sure you want to do that?"


 


"Why wouldn't I?"


 


"Well the better fed I am the larger I am. If you feed me too well you could end up setting in the palm of my hand rather then riding on my back or in my arms."


 


"Now that would be interesting. What would you do at that size?"


 


"Mm well I said my hand but if I was that big I doubt you'd be riding in my palm. I think it'd be more fun to carry you between my breasts." An amused giggle escaped Maria and once again she wished she was packing Joseph up front. "How about you? How would you feel if I got that big?"


 


"Well it's already been a while since I could give you a proper hug so I'm pretty used to that. I believe that it would be interesting and with the possibility of such a means of transport it sounds like it'd be a bit of fun. Do you think you could be happy with a man that much smaller then yourself."


 


"Naturally. It might call for some creativity but I'm certain that we could have a lot of fun. Perhaps I could even try using you as candy."


 


"Hopefully not the kind you chew."


 


"Of course not! What about you? What would you like to do if I grew even larger then the current matrons?"


 


"I suppose the first thing I would want to do is explore and get familiar with every last bit of you. Which could take quite some time."


 


"Are we talking about intimate exploration?"


 


"I am."


 


"Even down there." As she spoke Maria used her right hand to indicate her crotch.


 


"Yes even down there. Though I'm not sure how much you'd get out of it. I already feel a bit outmatched by your size as is. I'm not certain what I'm going to do once you get much larger."


 


"Well from listening to the current keepers it seems like having a brother use a portion of his arm is a good method of getting them worked up. Most of them seem to appreciate it whenever the brother takes the time to get them good and ready." A slight moan escaped Maria as she glanced back at Joseph and began to pick up her running pace again. "Perhaps we can try that later."


 


While Joseph and Maria's conversation had been rather intimate for a few moments now the ideal of impending interaction got a far stronger reaction from him. He felt his face warm up a bit in a blush and a large if awkward smile spread across his face. "Uh sure."


 


"Oh now I heard that. What's the matter Joseph?"


 


"I guess that was just a little more direct then I was prepared for is all. Maria I hope that you know that I don't plan to stop where I have. I'm hopeful that the life bloom will let you grow even larger in time."


 


"I'm sure it will. The other brothers just want to be certain of the life bloom's output so they took a nice conservative path. Which means I should probably get some practice using my tongue."


 


"Huh? Using your tongue?"


 


"To get you off silly. If I get too big we're going to have some trouble and while you might be able to use an arm or even a leg to take care of me I won't be able to do the same for you. I've actually put some thought into that subject though and I was thinking we might"


 


"How about we wait until that time comes and you surprise me?"


 


Joseph suddenly speaking up had surprised Maria though she kept her grin. "What? You don't want to know the naughty things I plan to do that sweet little body of yours?"


 


"No! It's not that I don't want to know. It's just that this conversation is going in a direction that's a bit stimulating and well. There might be some responses that aren't verbal if we keep it up."


 


"Oh you don't have to worry about that I don't mind."


 


"Maria I'm not sure if you've noticed but while you might not be able to rub your breast against me this ride isn't exactly perfectly smooth. I really don't want to risk getting excited while I'm pressed up against you and especially while you're moving." While Joseph spoke he couldn't help the massive grin he had on his face. If only he'd been able to see the grin on Maria's face it might have shrunken a bit.


 


"I was thinking that if I found myself in that zone where I'm a little too big for anything short of a leg but not large enough to have you enter into me I could use my tongue. On top of that I bet I could give you a rather interesting tit job at that size. It might even be fun trying to rub you off against one of my nipples. Just get you all nice and worked up and lift"


 


"Maria!"


 


Now Maria couldn't help herself and a river of giggles escaped her causing her upper body to shake. "I know I'm being naughty Joseph but you're so much fun to tease."


 


"Uhuh. Well I really don't want to arrive back at your village with a hard on or smelling interesting to your sisters. So let's please talk about something else."


 


"Well alright. I don't know if I want to get back to the serious stuff though. You said you weren't going to give up on your work though. What do you have planned next for the life bloom?"


 


"I guess my first priority is fixing it so that it won't let mystic energy bleed into our world anymore."


 


"Ah I figured it would be to increase the output so that we can grow larger."


 


"Unfortunately that would be quite reckless on my part. Perhaps the other brothers can help this time around though. Given that I've already shared the plant I suppose I shouldn't hold onto anymore secrets."


 


"That would be nice of you."


 


"I have to admit there is something that holds my curiosity more then improving the life bloom though. I'd really like to be allowed to read some books on how your body works. I'm certain the magics involved must have been quite advanced but perhaps I can see something."


 


"You mean something that our brothers haven't seen in the last few hundred years?"


 


"Well are you saying that your brothers know everything there is to know?"


 


"Unfortunately no. The books we have that are related to our constructions aren't exactly the most detailed. That information was kept deeper in the citadel. Other then that our brothers have managed to find out some things by examining us but once again the information is limited."


 


"Are there any studies going on right now?"


 


"Unfortunately there isn't. At least there isn't too my knowledge as no one has come up with any new theories to test."


 


"That makes sense. I'd like to examine your inability to use magical items to be honest. Given the performance of your body I know there must be a lot of energy running around inside of it. So it seems like it would be easy for you to use or trigger magic items."


 


"Our bodies use that energy for itself though. We don't have anything to spare to trigger a magical item."


 


"I'm not entirely sure that is true. Maria have you ever tried controlling the flow of magical energy inside of your body?"


 


"Well I can't say that I have. They were some sisters that tried to learn how to use magical items in the past though and they weren't met with any success. All our brothers' studies say that it can't be done either. Do you have something different that you want to try though?"


 


"Well did any of those studies have you try whenever you were stuffed full?"


 


"Um I don't know. I haven't really read them in details I've just heard talks about them and read a little bit about it."


 


"I'd like to try having you use a magical item whenever you're stuffed so full that your body couldn't possible be using all of the energy for itself. Perhaps that would give us some interesting results."


 


"Mm well it seems likely that experiment had already been tried before. I sure wouldn't mind giving it another try though and perhaps you'll learn something."


 


"At times it's best just to start the old experiments over again but this time ask. How can we do this better? I'm not a mage but I understand modifying life forms quite well. At least I would like to believe that I do. Once again though this is after I've refined my work with the life bloom a bit first."


 


"Instead of beginning work right away how about I talk with mom about getting you into the citadel or at least giving you access to some books we copied from there? We've got quite a selection of books detailing methods to modify simple life forms after all."


 


"That might help me form a plan for whenever the life bloom is growing in full force. I'd appreciate it."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


A howl of pain and hanger escaped Beatrice as she tore the kobold away from herself. Her left hand went to cover her right eye for a moment while her right one was prepared to attack. She didn't get to attack though as a figure appeared beside her. One she immediately recognized as Kersara.


 


"What happened!"


 


"My eye! One of them got me in the right eye!"


 


"Fall back to the orcs and take cover there. Check on your eye and do what's needed. They have healers amongst them so be sure to let them see."


 


"I can keep fighting."


 


"Go and get treated now!" As she spoke Kersara more roared at her sister then anything else. The effect was immediate. Beatrice made no more arguments but quickly dashed back to the barricade the orcs had set up. As she landed she looked towards the shaman. "I need treatment for my eye save your spells though they won't help."


 


Vidon didn't wait for any orders or response from the other orcs. He had extensive training in treating wounds without the use of magic so that he stood up and rushed over to the massive figure. He was glad that she immediately leaned down so that he could get a better look at her. Whenever she removed her hand though he took in a deep breath. "Please don't move this will hurt." With those words Vidon leaned forward and began to examine Beatrice's damaged eye.


 


"How bad is it?"


 


"If you were one of my own then the eye would be loss. I hope what I've heard of your ability to heal is true. I need you to lay down if I am to treat the injury or I can give you something for the pain and cover the eye."


 


Despite being busy Kersara could still hear the orc and she responded for her. "Treat the eye but do it quickly!"


 


A low growl escaped Beatrice as she looked at the orc. She wasn't upset with her but she didn't like Kersara taking over like this. She had to respect her sister though and she lay down. "Don't worry I won't move."


 


"I would offer you something to bight down upon but I have nothing in this situation."


 


Allen sat quietly in the center of the orcs uncertain as to what he should do. Pera was staying close to the orcs so he could keep an eye on her but even if she did begin to fall what could he do? He only knew some alchemy and no real magic. All around him he could hear the sounds of battle and smell the scent of the fish creatures pushing their way on the beach. A few meters away he saw a sister being treated for an injured eye and there was nothing he could do with everything going on around him. He could feel tears trying to form in his eyes as a great feeling of uselessness built up within it.


 


"Child do you know how to use a bow and arrow?"


 


In response to the orc suddenly addressing him Allen more jumped then turned as he looked at the shaman. "Um. Are you talking to me?"


 


"Are there any other children here?"


 


Pera was about his age but as Allen looked in her direction he truly felt like he was the only child. "I suppose not. I know something about how to use it but I've never used it in battle."


 


"I'm busy right now and can't draw my bow. How about you take up my arrow and lend the warriors a hand? Just be certain that you fire over their heads. You don't have to aim just go for distance. They're enough kobolds here that you don't have to worry about not hitting one."


 


Instead of responding right away Allen took a moment to look at the old orc. He wasn't certain if he was being serious or not however he still reached for the bow. As his hands grew closer though he also found himself slowing down.


 


"At least seven arrows could have been fired by now."


 


Upon listening to the orc Allen immediately picked up the bow and arrow. He then took several steps closer to the the front lines though not so close as to get called back. Often the brothers and sisters would play a sort of tag. When they played tag though they didn't run after their sisters or try to find them. Rather the brothers would make use of light bows and blunted arrows to tag their sisters so he had experience with bows. As he drew the weapons string though it was clear this was a far heavier bow then the ones he'd used before.


 


Kelah was actually surprised whenever she saw the arrow suddenly shoot over head and go into the midst of the kobolds. With all her warriors focusing on holding the front line and the shaman still casting who was firing the arrows was quite a question. The curiosity was such that Kelah couldn't help but glance over her shoulder and found herself made to grin as she noted the young human holding onto one of her warrior's bows and drawing another arrow. She was actually somewhat impressed such a delicate looking human was even able to draw the bow string back.


 


As Razor made his way through the forest his efforts to locate the fish creatures was proving quite frustrating. He could smell them but he could smell them all over the place due to their numbers and the blood that covered him as well as his group. A sharp grunt got his attention before he could be too frustrated though and he turned towards the other tusker. They all followed.


 


Sidon was certain to keep his weapon at the ready as he followed behind the tuskers. As he ran along though he was rather worried. They'd been doing alright while on the beach despite the kobolds numbers but Kelah had still felt the need to separate them and send some into the forest. He understood her desire to keep them kobolds from pushing them too hard on the back but he still wondered if they'd been better off staying in a tight nit circle. He didn't get too much time to consider that though as the creatures came into sight. A shout escaped the orc and he drew his bow.


 


Razor held his ground as did the other tuskers as the orcs let lose with their arrows. This was a difficult task as the tuskers natural instinct was to charge ahead to meet the threat. As the arrows cut through the kobolds though it was clear why they'd been taught to remain behind. He did charge forward though whenever the kobolds gave a surprised hiss and quickly spun to run around. Unfortunately for them they were designed for fast movement in water not on the uneven ground of a forest.


 


As Sidon rushed forward he felt certain they would be outnumbered by the kobolds. That was all the reason to press the attack though. If they hit them hard enough and savagely enough they could overwhelm the creatures with fear. An enemy that was running away from you tended to be much easier to kill after all. Though he wasn't certain how much killing he was going to get to do. The tuskers had already gained a good lead and over taken a few of the creatures.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Even with the battle going on around her Kersara was trying to keep track of her sisters as well as the orcs. It was a difficult task but so far she'd been managing. "Pera, Terima get back into the orcs barricade and set down for ten."


 


"What!" It was impossible for Pera to hide her surprise as she listened to Kersara.


 


"Don't argue with me!"


 


Pera couldn't help herself as she tucked her tail between her legs and more leaped over to the orcs then anything else. She was soon followed by Terima who seemed equally alarmed by the tone of Kersara's voice. It was pretty clear that Kersara wasn't in the mood to say more then was needed. So that Pera looked to Terima. "Ten minutes I guess."


 


"Um Pera look." As she spoke Terima pointed over towards Allen who was struggling to fire the bow still.


 


It had been hard work but Allen had managed to continue sending arrows off though he didn't know what good they were doing. At the very least he was doing something though. Unfortunately his arms and back were growing tired so that it was getting harder and harder to draw the bow string back. Soon enough he wouldn't have the strength to do. He was so caught up in his task that he didn't even notice Terima and Pera taking some time out of the fight.


 


Kersara was going to have a word with her sisters about discipline whenever it came to a war zone. She'd noticed Pera and her friends slowing down though perhaps they hadn't. If they continued to fight they'd start running a far greater risk of being injured. If they could just have a few minutes to regain their strength though and let their muscles recover that would diminish. She was surprised though. She had actually been forced to order some of her other sisters to take a few moments away from the fight before the younger ones. "Kelah how are you doing?"


 


"We're holding but I don't know about our supply lines."


 


"Supplies?"


 


"The shaman." Kelah was forced to stop talking for a moment as she deflected one of the kobolds away from one of her warriors. "They're keeping us sustained but that takes their energy. Dinon how is it holding up?"


 


"We're holding strong."


 


"Really?"


 


"The spirits are backing us in this." As Dinon spoke he looked towards Kelah and wonder if she even realized just how much they were backing them. He could practically see Nightfang standing next to Kelah lending her his strength. Of course the spirit wolf had plenty of good reason to be there.


 


A sigh escaped Kersara as she gave a nod. "That's good news but there is a problem."


 


"What's that?"


 


"I'm beginning to falter." While Kersara had more stamina then most of her sisters each time she told one of them to fall back she would work all the harder to pick up the slack. It seemed to be working but she could feel the fatigue setting in.


 


"Then fall back."


 


"I'm not sure if we can"


 


"I said fall back." As she spoke a low growl escaped Kelah and she flashed Kersara a rather large grin. For a moment it felt as if something heavy had come to rest upon her back and then she felt it sink inside of her. The heavy feeling spread throughout her body no longer seeming to weigh down upon her flesh but rather push it outward as if her muscles were trying to swell to proportions her skin wasn't ready to handle. Her vision shifted she felt her ears twitch as she drank in the energy. Her left hand shifted and her wrist guard was stripped away. "I'll cover for you for a few."


 


Kersara could have sworn Kelah's teeth had grown longer. While she didn't know the finer details of what was going on she couldn't help but trust the orc. As she leaped behind the protective barrier she bent down. "Just give me three minutes."


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kelah followed by a horrific growl as she rushed out ahead of the wrest of the orcs. No longer having to worry about being confined she did what came naturally and moved to insure that as the alpha she delivered the first strike to their prey.


 


Kersara was surprised. The force and speed with which Kelah moved to attack the kobolds was actually quite astounding. While the thought was unusual for her there was a moment when she could have sworn she saw one of her sisters fighting. It actually brought a question to her lips she had to ask as she turned to one of the orc shaman. "Can she usually fight like that?"


 


"She only wishes that she could. Nightfang stands with her in this moment far more firmly then in any regular situation. In this moment Kelah leads her pack into battle and the kobolds are her prey. She also stands to protect her pack."


 


"I see. So in a one on one fight she couldn't bring out that kind of power?"


 


"Only when Kelah fights for her pack in one way or another will Nightfang lend her so much of his strength."


 


"Then what does the spirit gain from this battle?"


 


"Not every fight is beneficial to any spirit after all there is a contract in place. At this moment though I imagine Nightfang is feasting on the essence from the kobolds though. Especially the ones that Kelah's blades find. I suppose now you'd like to know how long she can keep this up right?"


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kersara as she gave a nod. "Well yes."


 


"Kelah's body is currently filled with a power and strength that it wouldn't ordinarily know. She's conditioned herself for times whenever she would wield her strength as well as the strength of the spirits but there is a limit. Fresh she could sustain that level of power for an hour I believe. At this moment I would give her three hours though."


 


"What? You mean not being fresh helpers her?"


 


"Of course not. I'm working on healing her though."


 


"Your name was Dinon right?"


 


"Yes it is."


 


Pera had been rather surprised whenever Kersara had chosen to fall back. As she looked at her sister though she could finally smell Kersara over the kobolds. Given the scent of her body it suddenly became clear why she'd chosen to fall back for a moment. Understanding as to why she'd been told to fall back finally sunk into Pera's head and she was made to smile. "Okay Terima I'm feeling better now I'm going back out."


 


"Alright I'll join you."


 


To this Pera gave a nod but before leaping back itno the battle she looked to Allen. "Hey Allen don't push yourself too hard! If the bow is to hard to draw then set down and let your muscles recover." Instead of waiting for a response Pera quickly leaped back into the battle opting a new location where the orcs seemed to be particularly hard pressed to hold the line.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


This was exhausting. As Flora moved to intercept the kobolds she had to first pick out the one with the flames. That would be her first target. As she moved to kill the kobold though the others around her would slash and hack at her with whatever weapons they had handy. They didn't tend to hurt but some of them seemed to bother her a bit. Those weapons found the few sensitive areas the kobolds were strong enough to injure. It wasn't as if these hits always landed though. While she didn't know the mechanics of it often enough the creatures simply didn't have the power to harm her or they didn't seem to.


 


Harmful hits were coming more and more often though that was clear. Flora had seen some of the guardians falling back to be treated for one injury or the other. It brought a chuckle from her as she realized that the dining hall had also become a medical station. At least that meant their brothers had something to do while the battle was going on all around them.


 


As Mina took hold of the building she easily tore away the burning timber and in the same motion tossed it into the kobolds. She had no time to worry about the structural integrity of the building though as she moved to resume the attack. Some of the creatures were reaching the buildings and had set them on fire. The sisters were always quick to remove the flames but there was a simple truth that had to be noted in all of this. They were slowly losing ground. "Flora they're getting further into the village!"


 


"I know Mina any ideals!"


 


"I believe we may want to demolish the outer ring buildings and form a tighter circle!"


 


"What!"


 


"We can't hold a defensive line this spread out they're too many of them and too few of us. It would be better to give some ground and better cover one another!"


 


"Okay I get what you're saying!" As she finished speaking Flora gave a roar that resounded throughout the battle field. She was soon met by many more roars from sisters who'd heard their conversation though not commented. The majority seemed to be in agreement. "Okay outer ring buildings are to be taken down just give them a good smack! Fall back into a tighter circle let's see if we can only have ten meters between each of us!"


 


Sora wasn't sure what to do as the sisters began to fall back. They were other matrons they could call out and bring to the battle field. However, they had their own areas to guard and she didn't know if she wanted to leave them unguarded. Just her presence and Fera's presence further out into the forest was a liability she didn't know if they could afford. "We need to get the brothers involved in this!" The words left Sora before she had even really given the thought form in her own mind.


 


Now Mina was made to nearly jump. "What!"


 


"Listen sisters we have several mages and alchemist in the dining hall right now. In this situation we'd be foolish not to use them and the workshops are close to the dining hall. We need to make use of them." It took a few moments for Sora to hear her sisters' response. It was slow and more them a little grumbling but it seemed they agreed.


 


***********************************************************************************


 


The situation was actually rather unheard of. It had been a long time since the brothers had last taken part in any battle so close to the front lines. Then again it was also the first time in a long time that the market had come under such an attack. As Dan busied himself in the workshop though he reminded himself that they didn't have time to make anything that required a long developmental stage. The sisters needed aid and they needed it fast. Fortunately they had everything they needed in the workshop. "Ten more frost bombs are ready."


 


No one turned to see the sisters that quickly retrieved the bombs and made her way outside. They had other matters to attend to after all. Namely they were already working on making more. "Dan how are you doing that?"


 


"Doing what?"


 


"I've been listening and it seems like your voice is calling out more often then any of ours."


 


"It's not just me we've got an assembly line going on over here. I just happen to get to call out more then the other two. Any ideal how things are going outside."


 


Instead of hearing the response of a brother they heard the response of a sister. "The bombs are really helping as are the mages. It's kind of rough only being able to kill what's within arms reach."


 


"That's why you all need to learn to use axes or swords. You could extend that reach a bit."


 


"If only you knew how unnatural that felt to us."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


"Um we really need you to back up a bit Liana." As Carter spoke he tried to be nice as he could as he looked at the younger sister. She'd been charged with helping to guard them and she'd been standing too close to their casting circle. She responded by more leaping away from them then walking as if she'd just been bitten by something. Apparently she was quite nervous he didn't blame her though.


 


"Are we ready to begin now?"


 


"I believe we are."


 


"Carter you lead."


 


"Alright." As he spoke Carter reached forward as did the five other brothers. Each one of them took hold of an enchanted staff that they'd planted in the middle of the circle. For a moment no one moved but instead they began to gather their energies and channel them into the weapon. "May the gate to the skies open and reveal thine light. May heaven and earth be joined for but a moment and what rest between be burned."


 


The moment Carter spoke the last word all five of the brothers felt a rush of energy go throughout them. One was made to stagger but held on. Seconds later it appeared as if it was day once again for but an instant as a massive wave of lightning burst from underneath the feet of the onrushing kobolds. Rather then simply racing towards the sky though the lightning spread to the sides seeming to flow like water from one kobold to another. As it spread though the bolts began to yield and disperse some going towards the sky and others going back into the earth.


 


A sharp gasp escaped Carter as he looked at the other brothers. "So are you all ready for another casting?"


 


"Just, give us fifteen seconds before we begin again." One brother responded taking in deep gasps of breath before each word.


 


"I should probably give you thirty after that sentence. Okay but let's not hold off for too long we're still in danger."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Things had sped up a good deal. Flora couldn't help but notice that as she realized where she was standing. With the frost bombs as well as the various area of affect spells the brothers had brought to the battle field they had managed to push the kobolds back. Indeed their rate of killing the kobolds had finally surpassed their ability to flood into the area. It still made Flora nervous though as she looked back towards the village and wondered if they were becoming too spread out. That fear was relieved a bit though as she noticed a massive figure heading towards them.


 


Fera could hardly believe how many kobolds they were. There had been so many that even at her massive size some or indeed many had managed to run past her to attack the village. As she made her way back to the market though she was even more surprised by what she saw. Charred, crushed, ripped apart and frozen kobolds seemed to be everywhere. She was certain there was more in the village then she'd noticed in their nesting area and that had her worried. "Are you okay my sisters!"


 


Mina was the one that chose to respond as she noticed Fera. "We're pushing them back. How are things for you?"


 


"They've quit coming from the north I was following them to catch up to the stragglers."


 


"Good then it sounds like this fight is almost over. Now how about lending us a hand?"


 


"I've been busy this entire time!"


 


"Sure you say that but I bet you were just laying around!"


 


A snort escaped Fera as she began to tear through the kobolds once again. She'd actually eaten more then she cared to before she made her way back to the village so none were making the trip to her mouth. As she resumed her efforts though she had to ask. "Did they attack anywhere else?"


 


"Not as far as our home goes but we don't know about anything beyond that."


 


Fera was about to respond whenever she noticed a massive wave of lightning burst forth from the ground. She waited for the thunder to hit her ears before she tried speaking. "I see you've got our brothers helping us out."


 


"We didn't have a choice we were beginning to yield too much ground."


 


To this Fera gave a nod. "We're going to have to talk about this later."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


Kersara finally felt like she could take a moment to look around the battlefield and truly see what was going on. It had began about an hour ago. The kobolds rushing the beach had slowed to a crawl and then they'd slowly began to vanish from the beaches. She worried that they would be attacking from elsewhere soon but that didn't happen. As she looked around though she couldn't help but ask. "So Kelah how do the local spirits feel about this?"


 


"Honestly Kersara they're pissed. This much rotting flesh is going to play havoc with the local wildlife. Once we're finished here we're going to tend to our wounded and then help out with the disposal of the bodies."


 


"Me and my sisters will help as well." As she spoke Kersara began to move forward loosening up the defensive circle that they'd formed and lashing out at the kobolds. "What happened exactly?"


 


"I'm not sure Dinon can you clear this up?"


 


"The tides shifted."


 


"Well that's obvious why did they quit attacking."


 


A low groan escaped Dinon as he shook his head. "I mean the tides of the ocean. They were using the current to help carry them into the shore. Now the current is going out and they're having to fight it to get here. You've also thinned their numbers a good deal. Between both of those they've began to yield and retreat for the time being."


 


Now Kersara gave a nod. "Ah I see." After a moment of silence a sharp roar escaped Kersara. One her sisters quickly responded to with roars of their own.


 


"What was that?"


 


"I told them that the battle is won. They know to wrap things up from there. What happened to those orcs and tuskers you sent into the forest?"


 


"Well they didn't come running out of the forest to regroup with us so I assume they're alright or they were all killed off so quickly none of them could escape. The second I consider rather unlikely though."


 


"I see. So any losses?"


 


"Amazingly no! Some of us were hurt pretty badly though and won't be able to fight for some time even with a shaman's aid in healing. Kersara I don't believe we can hold out against another wave like that one and to be honest I bet the next wave will be even stronger if there is a next."


 


"Yeah, if it hadn't been for your presence here and sheltering me and my sisters while we recovered our strength from time to time I know some of us would have been lost. I can't just abandon the beach to those creatures though."


 


"I don't believe their target was the beach or the forest. I'm pretty sure their target was us."


 


"That isn't a pleasant thought Kelah but I can't deny that you're probably right. I'm not exactly use to the ideal of retreating though."


 


"We don't need to retreat we need to set up a home base. A fortified structure a little further in then we are now where we can hold up should they focus their attack against us again. We need to pick a location where we can watch a good chunk of the beach as well though just in case they decide they're done targeting us directly."


 


"Could you build such a fortification in time for tomorrow though?"


 


"Of course not. You and your sisters are going to have to help out."


 


A slight chuckle escaped Kersara as she gave a nod. "Okay that sounds fair."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


"I'm glad you're okay Pera." As he spoke Allen smiled and looked up at Pera's face. A face that quickly grew closer as she seated herself next to him.


 


"I feel like my arms and legs are about to fall off!"


 


A slight chuckle escaped Allen as he rubbed his upper biceps a bit. "I can't say mine feel all that good either."


 


Pera didn't say anything but took a moment to look at Allen. It was clear that he'd given it all during the battle which made her smile. She especially smiled at the thought he was fighting so hard to try to help her out. "We're going to have to get going soon though."


 


"Huh?"


 


"What do you mean huh? Stella would paddle both of us if I didn't bring you home after what happened here. There is no way we're going to be here for another morning."


 


"Don't they need you here though? Everyone was fighting so hard that"


 


"Allen. Pera is right. She needs to take you home and she needs to get home as well." As she spoke Kersara walked over to the two of them. "Though don't believe that I'm sending you away for no reason. Pera I need you to go back to the village and let our sisters know what happened here. You need to explain to them that they need to either approach the orcs and have them send more to aid us or they need to send more sisters out here."


 


"But Kersara it'll take me more then a day to get home! You could be hit by another wave like the last one if all of us leave."


 


"That is true but Pera keep in mind that you're still children. You did good today yes but you still have a lot to learn such as to listen to the ranking sister especially during times of battle."


 


"But that was."


 


"Not something that we can have happening on a battlefield. You don't always have time to ask questions Pera. Now I need you to get moving along with Allen and your friends. We don't know how long we have until the kobolds attack again. Once you're a few kilometers into the forest pick a safe spot to rest and then get moving early morning. I have to go speak with Kelah now."


 


Pera's first instinct was to try to call Kersara back and speak further with her about the matter. A sigh escaped her though as she held the words in realizing she'd only be proving Kersara right. "Stay safe sister and keep our other sisters safe as well."


 


"Don't worry little sister we'll hold the line."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


"Do you believe that we should use one of the scrolls?"


 


"I don't believe we should resort to that just yet. Besides, if we want to get someone to the beach quickly we could work together to cast a teleportatoin spell."


 


"That is true. I just wish we could get a better image of what was going on at the beach though. I wonder how the Luvarians use to deal with this. Surely they had a means of monitoring the forest which wouldn't be hindered by their creation's resistance to magic."


 


"I'm certain they did as well but we don't have time to worry about that. What should we do though? Even with our limited abilities it's clear that something major happened on the beach not just here. It wouldn't be surprising if they sent a request for additional support."


 


"We don't have that additional support though. We were letting our sisters increase their size early just to improve our defensive position after all."


 


"Well it's not like most of them are done growing yet. It's only been a day and many will require a few days to reach their knew permitted size."


 


"Yes but the most notable growth has already happened."


 


"You all seem to have forgotten that we have more resources then simply our sisters. The orcs sent forces to the beach as well after all. How about instead of sending additional sisters or taking a risk and letting them increase their size we aid the orcs in aiding us? We can help our sisters through them after all." A sigh escaped Nathan as he looked around the room and noted the shocked expression of his brothers. "I swear you're all as bad as our sisters. We go through the trouble of learning how and even producing some high quality enchanted armor, weapons and battle potions yet you never think to use them."


 


"We create them for emergency situations though."


 


"What do you believe this? I agree with Nathan we should send the orcs some of the mystic equipment we've made."


 


"Well that should help with the situation on their front at least. What about our front though? We lost ten percent of the market district."


 


"That's what happens when you let your guard down. I understand that the sisters received warning before the actual attack hit but to be honest it wasn't much of a warning. If they'd known about the attack while the kobolds were still two or three miles away they could have worn down their numbers considerably. Let's be honest with ourselves though that lack of warning was our fault. We should have known not to leave the border so weakly protected."


 


"Well we wanted to strengthen them as quickly as possible."


 


"Don't go saying that. We could have used magic means to observe the borders. Our sisters protect us their way and we have to protect them our way. We've been slacking."


 


"I can't disagree with that. On another subject though what do we do about this most recent attack? Do we send Fera to the kobold nest again?"


 


"I don't believe that would help in this situation. You know what Fera's eyes are like and she said that their numbers in the nest had been thinned considerably. The kobolds have found somewhere else to nest perhaps even several locations."


 


"Then do we try to find them?"


 


"How though?"


 


"We could always use some kobold blood and try a location spell."


 


"You really believe that would work? They probably picked a location where the plant life would interrupt the spell. Remember that this forest is full of alchemical items and some of the plants even in their raw state interrupt magic."


 


"Then we know what locations to search. We just send teams of sisters to the locations with such plant life."


 


"I hate to say it but I don't believe either of you are right. Whatever is leading the kobolds now is intelligent. It would know that we'd realize such a simple fact and that we'd search such locations. It seems more likely that it would have picked a location where the magic would be disrupted but we don't know about it. Perhaps they even secretly built such a location."


 


"Wouldn't that require a mage's skill? At least to insure it's security."


 


"What recently escaped from us?"


 


"Damn it! No wonder the attack happened so shortly after the mages escape. I bet whatever is behind this was laying in wait."


 


"We don't know that for certain but it would make sense."


 


"Listen. While the odds of a spell turning up any information is low I still say we should try a location spell. It's not as if we have anything better to do. Further more let's send Fera and a few sisters to the kobolds original nesting area with instructions to track any movement from that location. They can also be given instructions to feed as they desire on the way if they haven't reached their allowed size just yet. These might prove fruitless but they're so easily done that it would be foolish not to try them."


 


"That is true but what about here? What if they attack like that again?"


 


"I doubt the sisters will be caught off guard like that again. Besides other brothers are already working on arming them encase there is another attack. They're apparently making them some very effective potions. At least effective for destroying large groups."


 


"Who's leading that project?"


 


"Dan apparently took it over before anyone had even considered doing it. Even before the sisters had attacked he'd began work on fire bombs in the kitchen area of the main dining hall."


 


A slight chuckle escaped Mirin as he heard this. "You know with performances like that the keepers are going to push to have his rank increased soon."


 


"Yeah let's just be glad that we can't be demoted by them."


 


A few chuckles passed around the room as the various ranked eight and nine brothers looked upon one another. It was Nathan who spoke next though. "Ah well I'm getting up there in years. So you'll all need another brother to add to our numbers before too long. It may as well be someone who's proven himself again and again."


 


"That's true. Back on subject though what weapons and armor are we going to grant the orcs?"


 


"I believe we should send them the ones deemed as rank B or perhaps C though nothing weaker then that. They are working with our sisters after all so they will suffer some degradation."


 


"Why not the rank A weapons them sense they aren't influenced by our sisters?"


 


"I believe those weapons should be given out to the sisters themselves. We could send a few of them to the beach but I believe most of them should be kept here. The more powerful weapons should be handed out to those sisters with a mutation to make the best use of them."


 


"Do you believe those weapons that passed the proofing experiment should be given out as well?"


 


While the question was asked no answer came immediately. Rather all the brothers included Mirin and Nathan took a few moments to look at one another as if hoping someone else would answer the question. Weapons that had been proven where rare even amongst the rank A weapons. It was those few weapons the guardians of the citadel had considered worth storing in the secure vaults whenever left out there. They were quite rare only a few being produced each decade and duplication of the affects no matter how exhaustive seemed a matter of fortune and were more often then not met with failure.


 


Those weapons considered rank A were attempts at producing proven weapons for the most part that had only been semi failures. Knowing all this it was Nathan that found his words first. "Three of them. We will give three of them to those who are the least likely to lose them. Proven weapons are not something we can simply replace after all."


 


"Then one of them should be given to Mina. Given her performance in her fight with Fera she seems the least likely to lose such a weapon."


 


"Isn't Mina with child though?"


 


"As far as we know yes but only a few weeks or at most into the pregnancy. Given the situation I doubt not giving her a weapon will keep her off the battle field."


 


"Okay then who should be given the second and third weapons?"


 


"What about Flora's daughter Maria? She may not be a keeper but her abilities are well beyond that of the vast majority."


 


"That is true but can we trust her with such a weapon? She is still quite young as far as her waking years go."


 


"Maria has proven herself somewhat out of control whenever it comes to eating. Other then that though her behavior has been quite superb. I believe we can trust her with a weapon. What do you believe Mirin?"


 


"I believe Maria is a good choice though as for the third weapon I am not sure if it should go to a sister."


 


"Then who should the third go to?"


 


"Why don't we bring out the eye and use that ourselves? We've been talking about using magic to aid our sisters and that seems like a logical choice for us to use. It's a far better focus for us to combine our energies then anything else we have after all and it would still be kept in a secure location."


 


"That actually sounds like a good ideal."


 


"Alright then. Nathan would you mind traveling with one of the matrons to the citadel and retrieving the items?"


 


"Indeed I would!"


 


The moment the words hit the air the room was stricken with silence for at least a minute. This time it was up to Mirin to speak. "Um what do you mean?"


 


"I'm an old man and those weapons are heavy! One of you younger folk go and gather them up."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


As Mina looked around at her sisters she couldn't help but give a sigh. "Flora, I've seen human soldiers using axes attack our sisters and not be able to cut them. Even when the sister just stood there and let the blade make contact. Kobolds are even smaller then humans and use simpler weapons then humans. So how do they managed to wound us?"


 


"I suppose it's hitting the right spot at the right moment. How about you Mina did they manage to injure you?"


 


"No. I wasn't harmed." There was a moment of silence from Mina as she placed her left hand on her right biceps as if testing the muscle"It makes me wish that I could fight all of them though. If I could just convince them all to attack me and to leave the rest of you alone everything would have been fine."


 


"You really believe so?"


 


"Well they can't hurt me."


 


"Mina I've been speaking with our sisters. Did you notice something while fighting those kobolds?"


 


"Other then their numbers and directions they attacked from no."


 


"Mina they didn't have any of their shaman amongst their ranks. Considering the scale of the attack don't you believe it's strange that they weren't any magic users amongst them?"


 


At first Mina said nothing but looked at Flora. A low groan escaped her and she couldn't help but frowning. "This was part of something else wasn't it?"


 


"I'm going to gather up every keeper that isn't too busy at the moment and we're going to talk. We need to set up a new plan to defend the village. Have you spoken with Dan yet?"


 


"Yes. He's already selected some brothers and even some claimed to help make us some more of those ice bombs. He said that I'm going to take at least five with me whether I believe I need them or not."


 


"I'm guessing he wasn't in any mood to dispute the issue with you."


 


It was impossible for Mina to keep from giggling as she looked at Flora. "Oh you should have seen the look he gave me. I started to suggest that it'd be better if they were given to weaker sisters but I didn't. I got the feeling that if I said that he'd find a way to punish me. He might not be able to harm my body but I got the feeling he'd bend me over and spank me like my mother did when I was naughty."


 


Flora couldn't help but giggle a bit herself as she imagined Dan spanking Mina. "He loves you know that. Besides you have someone else to think of as well."


 


"That's true anyway I'm going to get the others. One thing though. Do you know where Sora and Fera went off to?"


 


"They are checking out the most traveled paths the kobolds used together and I believe they're going to make a visit to the kobolds' nest."


 


"Well that makes sense. I'll try to have some ideals as to what we should do by the time we gather."


 


***********************************************************************************


 


As Kersara looked out over the beach she really had no ideal how many water kobolds had been attacking them. Too many to count seemed like a good answer. It was a frustrating thought in all actuality. They were things to do though. Once again Kersara began her march towards the quickly shaping up fortification. She had to be careful as she carried a massive stone on her back its awkward shape causing her center of balance to shift and making her movement on the sand all the more difficult. They needed to have something set up before they rested though. "Hey Kelah how are things going!"


 


"I can't believe they're moving this quickly to be honest. Don't you and your sisters have a limit to your stamina?"


 


"Not with full stomachs."


 


"Well that's good to know but that's a little big for what we had in mind. The supports will break if we try to use something that big."


 


"You're not going to. I'm going to shape this thing into several usable chunks. It should save time when it comes to the trips."


 


"Oh now that makes a lot of sense."


 


"Um are we going to get to sleep in the least bit tonight?"


 


"I honestly don't know and I really want to. I'm having my troops sleep in shifts to insure that they get some rest encase we're attacked tomorrow but we're trying to set up a fortification in a single night. The shaman are helping with the corpses and trying to make good with the spirits as well. These things are normally done over at least a week if not weeks, for fewer troops and with more help."

Chapter 21 by happiest_in_shadows

"It's an interesting set up though." As she began to chip away at the stone Kersara worked carefully not to simply shatter it but to get some useable material out of it. "What are they used for though?"

"We set them up whenever a hunting party will be staying in a dangerous location for a long period of time in order to get some of the essentials. It's takes us a little longer then you to get around the forest after all. They're meant to hold against attacks by wild tuskers and the like."

"Why haven't I ever happened upon one?"

"Because you and your sisters tend to get pissed if we make any permanent change to the forest outside of our territory. We have to make them strong but quick to set up relatively speaking and quick to take down. Otherwise we're afraid we'd hear from you."

"Ah damn it Kelah why did you have to say it like that? Now I feel like a bitch."

"Well to be blunt you all can be."

"Now that's mean. We try our best to be fair to everyone in our forest. We just do what we have to do to protect it."

"Oh now are you sure you want to go down that road? I doubt you're used to hearing the opinions of others who live in the forest."

"I'm interested in others view points especially while doing something this boring."

"Alright then. Well to be honest we tend to consider you all to be a little excessive if your policies as far as forest protection goes. Now that I said that though I believe it's best if I give an example. Do you remember about six years ago whenever the hianze began to reach outside of their territory and you went to decrease their population?"

"I wasn't actually part of that but I remember it happening."

"Well to be honest you went way overboard with that. Hianze migrate you know that and every now and then they're going to slip outside of their regular roaming patterns. The area they wondered into had suddenly began to develop a large supply of roots they happen to have a taste for so they went after them. If you'd just waited until they'd finished with the roots in that region they'd resume their regular patterns."

"Hianze are extremely dangerous Kelah."

"Ah well I can't exactly disagree with that but it's not like they're viscous. It really would have been better if you'd just let them eat their roots and move back to their regular patterns instead of killing off a tenth of their population and driving them back into their regular roaming region. You caused them a lot of unneeded stress which affected their behavior. That affected the health of their environment in turn."

"They would have upset the balance in those regions that wasn't adapted to host them though."

"How much though? Would it have upset the balance there more then you upset the balance in their domain by killing so many so quickly?"

First instincts told Kersara to answer yes but she held her tongue. In truth she didn't know which would have had the worse affect. "How do you know so much about this?"

"Ah we like to gather certain plants from the region they wondered into. Some of us were actually there and told us about what happened when they got back."

"Ah! So if we hadn't killed them then you'd been influenced as well."

"Yeah it would have made things a lot easier on us."

"Huh?"

"Those roots the hianze love so much aren't exactly good eating by our standards but they do compete with the plants we like to gather."

"Okay I didn't know that one."

"You know it isn't always the animals that go outside their bounds."

A sigh escaped Kersara as she gave a nod. "Okay you have a point. We made a mistake that time though I don't believe any of us knew about it. Surely you can agree that we do a fair job overall though?"

"I can agree with that. It can be kind of rough keeping our numbers low enough to stay within the safe zone though. I'm looking forward to the limitation being increased though."

"Are you planning on having a child?"

"Yeah I am."

"Then have you chosen the father?"

"Mm I've pretty much selected the father to be though he doesn't know it yet. Not that his lack of knowledge really matters in such situations."

"Huh?"

A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as she removed one of her axis. "Okay those claws of yours are doing a nice job with that stone but how about you use this to speed things up?" As she spoke Kelah gave the dragon bone ax a slight toss such that it buried itself in the ground next to Kersara's feet.

"What? Isn't this a special weapon only given to the war leader?"

"Yes it is which is why I will want that ax back when you're done."

"Isn't it a bit disrespectful to use such a weapon to simply cut stone?"

"A useful and well taken care of tool is a happy tool."

"Okay I can see the useful part but what about the well taken care of?"

"Kersara that's a dragon bone ax which has been augmented by the spirits. Cutting stone with it isn't a big deal and considering that one of the spirits that aided in the imbuing was a spirit of earth I doubt there is going to be any problem in how its used. Besides even if you damaged it I would just heal it later."

"You can heal this thing!"

"Yes and considering how much use that ax has gotten over its life time it is a darn good thing that we can heal it."

"That's just interesting but Kelah there is a reason my sisters and I don't tend to use magic items. They degrade in our hands if the magic isn't strong enough."

"I wouldn't worry about that Kersara. If you manage to actually damage the ax I'll let you know and take it back. Until then go ahead and use it."

"Thanks for the help then."

"Dinon! You look terrible but how did things go?"

"The good news is that the water spirits in the region aren't holding this against us. The bad news is that the amount of death that has happened hear has drawn several spirits of death out of the forest and onto the beach. I've been busy trying to convince them to ally with us and not try to cause our deaths but rather try to cause the deaths of our enemies."

"How's it going?"

"Another bit of good news the water kobolds haven't had any shaman on the beach offering a similar deal. The bad news is that some of the spirits aren't interested in making any deals. I've been trying to help those spirits who are interested in dealing drive off those who aren't but they're some complexities."

"You mean a few of them are extremely powerful and aren't so easily driven off or bought off."

"You're correct. However, at least they're neutral in the matter."

"Yeah but neutral beings can easily decide to change sides. Is there anything else I should know?"

"Um actually this is a question for you Kersara. May we have permission to gather a few trees from the forest to burn them?"

"May I know why?"

"I'm currently dealing with a spirit of fire. She's agreed to lend us more aid but she wants a tribute in return for that aid. She wants us to gather up some of the water kobolds and burn them on an alter made from fresh lumber dedicated to her."

"Isn't fresh lumber harder to burn?"

"Yes but as we'd be burning beings born from the water and of youth she'd gain a rather large amount of nourishment."

A low groan escaped Kersara as she looked at Dinon. "Is it worth it?"

"Honestly the spirit knows that we're in a tough spot so it's just barely worth it. Though there would most likely be long term benefits."

"Please try to use trees that are nearing the end of their life span."

"Um I can't. You see the spirit wants young healthy trees used. The type that don't burn well as by forcing the flames to succeed we feed her more."

Instead of responding right away Kersara found herself simply staring at Dinon. "Dinon you're making me wish I had a means of harming spirits that hadn't bridged the gap now. Fine you can use what trees you want. I don't have any faith in this spirit but I trust you as our ally."

"Thanks Kersara."

"Kelah there is also something I want to speak with you about. Would you mind trying to commune with Nightfang and gaining further aid from him?"

"Dinon I communed with Nightfang plenty today. He was with me nearly the entire battle right up until the end. What exactly would you like for me to ask from the great wolf spirit?"

"We were hoping that he might lend us further aid."

A sigh escaped Kelah as she shook her head. "Dinon I'm not going to ask Nightfang to do that. I am the alpha of my pack at least whenever it comes to the war party. Do you really believe that the alpha would go to another wolf and ask for aid because they're not strong enough?"

"I suppose that admitting weakness could be a bad move."

"It'd be a terrible move. Listen Dinon every blessing from Nightfang I've gained I've had to fight for. You don't ask a wolf spirit for a favor like you do some of the others. You show that spirit your strength and that you're worthy to be part of the pack."

A sigh escaped Dinon as he gave a nod. "So did today's battle convince Nightfang that you're worthy of more."

"I have no ideal. He was feeding off the essence of the kobolds every time I killed one of them. After words he sort of went dormant or effectively he's taking a nap while his food digest. I could challenge him later for a greater position them my current one but I don't have the time or strength for that right now."

"I understand. Oh one more bit of good news. The water spirits might not be happy with what has happened to their waters. This unnatural state isn't pleasing to them in the least. However, they are convinced we are their allies now instead of the kobolds and they'll be aiding us tomorrow."

"That's good to know."

"Hey Kelah, Dinon I have to ask. Does being our allies make it harder or easier for you to get the spirits to aid you?"

"That depends on what spirits you're talking about. Kersara I hope you don't take this offensively but the spirits of death that move throughout the forest tend to love you beast girls. They're others though who aren't nearly so fond of you. There is a natural order the forest seeks you see but while you work to keep the forest healthy you maintain your will upon it. Spirits of water tied to things like rivers don't appreciate that. "

"Perhaps I'm just tired but I believe I'm actually getting a little depressed here. I knew that we tended to be feared but I didn't realize how many enemies we'd made for ourselves in this forest. Especially since we consider it our home. Kelah do the orcs see us as friends or oppressors?"

"Um well." A sigh escaped Kelah as she shook her head. "Would you eat a friend or that friends child because they'd accidentally had a few too many?"

There was more then a little time during which Kersara simply set there and looked at Kelah and then Dinon. She felt a lump forming in her throat but then gave a sigh. "We kill our own sisters if they grow too large and don't agree to regress in size willingly."

"What?"

"You know that we grow larger and stronger the more we consume but we must then sustain that body. What do you don't know if we can return to smaller sizes but the procedure is costly especially for the person undergoing it. However, we have rules that say how large each of us is allowed to be and if someone goes beyond that they must regress in size. If they refuse to we kill them regardless of who they are."

It was Kelah's turn to be silent. After a few moments she gave a nod. "I see. That's actually a lot to think on. There have been times when I thought that you were only strict on those who weren't part of your species. To kill your own sibling just because they can't control their desire to eat though that's pretty dedicated."

"We don't want to but we have to make sure we don't outgrow what the forest can provide us with."

"Yeah. Yeah I understand that. No one is exempt from the rules." Instead of continuing Kelah took a moment to look up towards the sky. "You beast people and us orcs should hang out more often. You'd probably have more friends if we could understand one another better. I will say this though. After fighting alongside of you I consider you a friend."

"How come?"

"I noticed how you moved. Whenever the kobolds started to overwhelm us that is where you would go. You weren't just fighting for your own kind out there."

Now Kersara was made to chuckle. "So you consider me a friend even though I may have to butcher your people if you become too numerous."

A sigh escaped Kelah. "No one is exempt from the rules. Though we'd really appreciate it if you all would lighten up a little bit. Especially with the immediate response being slaughter."

"Perhaps we will. I know that the aid you're giving us now could be used as a basis for such a debate. We weren't always like this I'm told after all."

"What happened?"

"We were betray more then once."

"That will do it."

***********************************************************************************

Maria didn't know what to think as she looked down at the market. There were a few piles of burning wreckage at the outer edge of the market while they were even more piles of smoldering kobolds. Apparently they had been victims of either lightning or fire spells. Many more had been frozen and even more had simply been torn apart. "What happened here?"

Joseph didn't know what to say as he raised himself up further on Maria's shoulder so he could better see what was going on. He was actually a bit surprised when he felt himself being lightly shaken and realized it was due to Maria shivering. A sudden gust of wind hit the two of them and he had to release his hold on Maria with one hand to cover his nose. The smell of burnt kobold was almost enough to make him empty what little remained in his stomach onto Maria's back. Part of him couldn't help but wish that his eyes could cut through the darkness as well as Maria's. He wondered what he'd see if they could.

"I wish I knew Maria. There must have been a fight. Is it still going on?"

"No. I don't hear any fighting. Joseph cover your ears."

"Sure just let me get down." Joseph didn't have time to move. The moment he released his hold on Maria he felt her hands take hold of him. Suddenly he was lifted up and over her heard to be cradled in her arms. No questions came from him though as he covered his ears as she'd told him. Moments later he heard an extremely powerful roar escape Maria. The response was easy for him to hear despite the distance and still keeping his ears covered. "Are they alright?"

"Yeah. Let's get down there though and find out exactly what happened."

***********************************************************************************

"Sister you're okay!" As she spoke Mira dashed over to Maria having already outstretched her arms in greeting. She didn't even bother waiting for Maria to respond or set Joseph down as she embraced Maria in a hug squeezing the human gently between the two of them.

"Mira! What happened here and where is mother. Is everyone alright, how much was damaged?"

"Hold hold. One thing at a time. First we were attacked obviously, mother is currently speaking with the other keepers that aren't occupied. Everyone is more or less okay some were injured though and are retrieving treatment or healing. The damages is well. We lost a bit over ten percent of the market area to the kobolds. At least in terms of buildings. In terms of items destroyed by indirect damage such as smoke well we lost more."

"So there wasn't any casualties?"

A sigh escaped Mira as she looked up towards the sky for a moment. "Well there nearly wasn't any."

"Who died?"

"Well they were a few sisters who didn't respond to the call to return to the market area. A few of the distrusted."

At first Maria didn't say anything but continued to look at her sister. A sigh escaped her moments later. To be called a distrusted wasn't a good thing amongst the sister by any stretch of the imagination. It was those sisters who had chosen to reject the rules to the point that it was only fear of the others that kept them in line. Such sisters were forbidden to grow beyond the height of two meters tall and watched very closely when around any brothers. They were not well liked. "I see. Well then at least none of our sisters were killed during the attack. When did you find out they'd been killed?"

"We only learned it after the attack."

"How many of the distrusted died?"

"We only found two bodies. I don't know why they didn't respond to the call to return."

"They didn't believe they needed to most likely. I wish that I could say I feel sorry for them but I don't."

"Yeah that seems to have been the general response though some go a little too far. I even heard a few saying that we were better off without them. That said though I don't exactly disagree with them. Still, even the distrusted are our kin."

"I'm not kin to anyone that sees our brothers as little more then pets."

"Um ladies. I hate to interrupt but. I'm having trouble breathing."

A slight yelp escaped Mira as she looked down at Joseph ans she more leaped back then stepped back. "Sorry about that Joseph I was just so glad to have my sister back. Anyway, I suppose that we should get down to business now."

"Yeah what's the plan?"

"Dan will want to speak to Joseph he's helping prepare some items for battle."

"What kind of items?"

"Well mostly things like frost bombs and the like. I'm sure Dan will be happy to fill you in on the details. As for you Maria. Mirin and a few of the other higher ranked brothers were asking for you apparently they have something important for you to take care."

"Okay then would you take Joseph to speak with Dan?"

"Sure."

"Okay then. Joseph I'm going to go ahead and speak with Mirin. Mira where will you be taking him?"

"They've currently taken over the second floor of the library."

"Huh?"

"They wanted a secure location with a level of space the workshops didn't provide. So some sisters are moving things around in the library to make room for them and the claimed that are helping them. Apparently Dan plans to take this into high production mode as soon as possible."

"Were things that bad?"

"We lost part of the market and had to have our brothers help us."

"Yeah pretty darn bad then."

"Now get moving Mirin is going to have something important for you to handle I just know it. If you're hungry you can grab something while you're running."

***********************************************************************************

"Her Markus it's been a while."

The voice was slightly more powerful then it had been when he last heard it but Markus recognized it right away. "Hey Mirara I'm guessing things aren't going very well huh?"

"What makes you say that?"

"It took so long for anyone to come to speak with me I was beginning to wonder if I'd been forgotten. Dinner was the only proof that I hadn't been."

"Yeah we got very busy a little while ago." As she spoke Mirara made her way into the room and moved to stand in front of Markus though not for long. Nearly the moment she was in front of him she settled down into a seated position so they were closer to eye level. "We came under attack a little while after you were brought back. We've been busy since then."

"Attack? By what?"

"The kobolds attacked us in mass. We even lost some ground though nothing of note. Now Markus I imagine you know why I am here."

"You want to ask me some questions and depending on my answers I could be in serious trouble."

"Wrong!"

Markus nearly leaped out of his seat the moment the words hit his ears. While the word itself was a surprise the power and energy with which it was spoken was what really caught him off guard. "Huh? What do you mean wrong?" Instead of hearing a verbal answer immediately Markus found his ears being met with delighted giggles. It was still a surprise but the sound of Mirara's laughter made him smile and he set back down.

"Startled you a little didn't I?"

"Well yeah."

"You're not in trouble Markus but we'd like to know everything that you know about Alex. Considering the timing and what's been going on we believe he's involved."

"I didn't know he was a mage Mirara I swear I didn't. I only found out yesterday whenever we were setting at the fire and he started to prepare to cast a spell. I realized then that he was the mage that had been involved in the others escapes but I didn't want to risk confronting him."

"How come?"

"Well he's a mage and I don't have that kind of power. Also, I really wanted to get out of this forest but I didn't aid him in anyway other then what I would have done for any traveling partner. I really had no ideal he was a mage."

"You already said that and I believe you. Didn't you believe me whenever I said you weren't in any trouble?"

"I well. I suppose I didn't." A sigh escaped Markus as he looked away from Mirara or started to. Before he could he felt a hand press against the side of his face preventing it from turning away from hers. It was odd. Her hand was so massive he had no doubt she could crush his skull inside of it. Yet it only brought him comfort as he turned his gaze up towards her smiling face. "I've made myself paranoid living alone for such a long time."

"Did it hurt to think about leaving in the beginning?"

"Yeah I suppose it did. I was able to grow numb by keeping my distance though. Um I might be able to recall some of the words Alex was using while casting the spell. Do you believe that would help?"

"Unfortunately no. Markus perhaps I've been too specific. Tell me what you know about Alex the person. We need to figure out how he thinks and if he is involved in this attack upon our village what move he might try to make next."

"Oh I understand now. So I suppose I should start with involuntary habits I've noticed."

"That would be ideal yes."

"Okay then. Give me a moment to think."

***********************************************************************************

As Joseph looked around he was a bit surprised by what he saw. He'd been told that Dan had began setting up the lab for weapons production but he didn't expect anything this rapid. For a moment his mind was made to wonder back to his time in the castle and their weapons efforts. They didn't compare.

"Hey Joseph over here!"

The sudden sound of Dan's voice yelling at him shocked Joseph out of his line of thought and he made his way over to his friend. "They weren't joking whenever they said you'd taken this place over."

"Yeah we've been busy. I'm actually going off a stamina potion right now."

"Um I'm guessing you'd prefer if Mina didn't know that."

"Know what?"

"That you're using a stamina potion to keep yourself going."

Instead of responding right away Dan took a moment to look at Joseph. A low groan escaped him moments later as he shook his head. "Did I really say that out loud?"

"Yes. Yes you did."

"Ah the limitations of such potions. Yes I would prefer if Mina didn't know about that though given what I just did I should probably get some rest soon. Anyway I was hoping that you could help me with a few things."

"I'm taking it you mean help you make frost bombs."

"Sort of but not quite what you have in mind probably. I need someone to supervise the less knowledgeable alchemist and the claimed. I've been doing it for a while now and they're doing alright but I've caught a few mistakes."

"Huh? So you don't want me making frost bombs?"

"Another set of trained eyes helping to guide the hands of others would be a lot more useful. So could you give me a hand?"

"Um sure but I'm still a little in the dark right now."

"Don't worry just ask one of the sisters to give you the information. They're a few walking about helping to keep track of the claimed. Here I'll even call one for you. Rimona I need your help over here."

"Dan that isn't necessary I can wait." As he spoke Joseph could tell that Dan was still pretty hyped up on the stamina potion. He was actually beginning to wonder if Dan had taken more then one.

"Wait on what?"

"Rimona if you don't mind please help show Joseph around and let him know what's been going on."

A sigh escaped Joseph as he looked at the sister and then to Dan. "You need to get some rest or I'm going to inform Mina that you drank more then one of those."

There was no sign of anger from Dan only a chuckle. "Yeah I believe I'm going to go throw up and then lay down for a while. Probably drink a lot of water before I fall asleep. Sorry about this Joseph I bet you're tired as well."

"Yeah okay Rimona please show me what you all have going on here. I'll be filling in for Dan while he recovers."

"Ookay. Um but you know Dan if you did something you shouldn't have Mina is going to smell it on you. I'm not certain what the two of you were talking about though."

"Yeah she probably will but that's okay."

***********************************************************************************

"So Maria do you believe you can get these back to the beach before morning comes?"

"I had to go slower then my top speed when I was packing Joseph to avoid injuring him. As long as I can truly run with these yeah I can get it to them before morning. Unfortunately I don't know what happened to Allen and the others on the beach."

"Well if you see them then please give them an escort after you make the delivery. Don't worry about telling them what's going on we included a letter with the weapons."

Instead of responding right away Maria picked up one of the two large crates that had been placed before her. As she worked to strap the crate to her back as she looked at Mirin. "So you're sure that these will actually helps the orcs?"

"We're certain of that. Part of insuring our safety includes knowing what our neighbors weapons are like. They've only got a few notable weapons that surpass or even match these. Though from what I was told one set of such weapons are on the beach now."

"Other then this delivery and looking out for the kids is there anything else you want me to do?"

"You're going to be very busy upon your return Maria trust me. For the moment you need to get moving though. Are you sure those health potions you drank were enough?"

"Um absolutely not." A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she picked up the second crate. "I'll deal with that whenever I can though. They'll see me to the beach and back here at least."

"Wait in that case." As she spoke Mirin brought out a life bloom from the right pocket of his robe. "Here you go."

Maria was actually a bit surprised as she took the life bloom from Mirin. "Okay what are you doing walking around with one of these?"

"After the attack I decided to stop by the growing facility and see if anything had happened there. It had been quiet the entire time. While I was walking around though I noticed that one of them looked ready to be picked so I just decided to do so. It kind of surprised me after I'd done it but with everything going on it seemed like a good ideal for some reason. I suppose that it was."

"Is security going to be stepped up around the life bloom?"

"The facility is being looked over again to make sure nothing strange happened. Maria make sure you don't lose the seeds from that plant though and we'd like them back as well."

"Here you go." As she spoke Maria handed Mirin the seeds from the now vanished fruit.

"Huh?"

"What? My legs aren't the only part of me that works extremely quickly. Okay then Mirin I'm going to get going. If you see Joseph please let him know that I'll be back in less then an hour."

"So packing him slows you down that much?"

"If I took a sharp turn while running at my natural speed with Joseph on my back I'd end up killing him."

***********************************************************************************

"Rimona I know this is a bit off subject but would you mind telling me what a distrusted is?"

"I don't mind but why do you want to know? I hope that you haven't been talking to any of them."

"I don't believe I have but what are they."

"Simply put they're a sister who's disposition is such that we consider her a significant threat and in all truth would kill her if it wasn't for one little thing. They haven't actually done anything to bring death upon them. That said they also haven't done anything to move beyond the status that we grant to children. Actually, in some ways they're considered even less then children."

"What disposition is that though?"

"Oh they're several parts of it. One of the major though is they want to expand the claimed system to the point that even our brothers would be considered claimed. They believe that the brothers have been given too much authority and see them as less then us. Naturally this is highly unlikely considering that many sisters don't like the ideal of their mates being treated as claimed or their children. Well or their friends or the friends of their friends."

"I see. How can you tell a distrusted who simply hasn't spoken their feelings though from another sister?"

"Oh we're always speaking our feelings at least to one another. We can tell by listening to the response of a sister's body, the smell she gives and her body language how she feels about someone. It tends to become especially clear whenever a brother ask one of the distrusted for a favor or help with something."

"Isn't it possible that she's just nervous or busy?"

Rimona couldn't help but giggle as she looked down at Joseph. Without really thinking it she settled one of her massive hands down on his head. "You're just so cute but you need to stop that. When you learn that one of the sisters is a distrusted you need to realize that they aren't a friend of yours and you need to stay away from them. I know of some brothers who tried to be friends with them and it just doesn't work out. Keep in mind they see you as an inferior life form that is meant to obey them. Now as for your question about how we know a sister is a distrusted and not just nervous around brothers. Believe me the sent a sister gives off whenever she's nervous and when she's feeling offended is very different."

"So I'm guessing that if there isn't a physical response you tend to be less worried."

"Oh you're talking about a sister who intellectually believes what the distrusted say but emotionally she isn't really geared up towards it. Hm no one that falls into that area really comes to mind. However, I like to believe we could show her where she was wrong and how it's better to work together with our brothers then to try to rule over them. Anyway, we don't call a sister a distrusted lightly as it's a pretty darn serious claim."

"Hm is there any reason I've never met one of them or have I?"

"You've probably never encountered one. You're a well liked brother who lives with a sister and spends most of his time in areas we watch carefully. Now the lives with a sister doesn't apply to all brothers but actually most of you stay in areas we watch carefully. The distrusted tend to shun these areas though I can't say they're welcome there."

"I see then where do the distrusted tend to gather?"

"They tend to gather at their homes away from the rest of us. Not to say that every sister that likes to dine in her own home is one of the distrusted they most assuredly are not. They also tend to spend a lot of their time out in the forest."

"Have the sisters or brothers ever set down and tried to figure out why the distrusted behave this way?"

"Of course we don't want to lose any of our sisters and we hate to see them go that way. Once they've gone down that road though we really don't tend to see them as our sisters anymore. As for what tends to bring such behavior on. Well it's hard to say you'd think by now we would have put a stop to such behavior entirely."

"I'm kind of surprised you haven't. What theories do you have though?"

"Oh I just believe it's laziness to be honest. A sort of. Why should I do anything to help them whenever they should be serving me mentality. I consider them to be selfish and that's reflected in how they treat other sisters as well. I mean the little bitches are happy enough to eat our food but they never bring something back for us to eat or it's rare that they do."

At the word bitch Joseph couldn't help but notice Rimona sounded a little more emotional. "Um Rimona did you have trouble with some of the distrusted before?"

"You could say that I suppose."

"I'm guessing that it's not something that you want to talk about."

Instead of responding right away Rimona took in a deep breath. "If you're interested I'll tell you what happened."

"I can't deny that I'm curious but if it's going to upset you that's fine."

"Honestly I suppose my anger towards them is a little petty but it's still annoying. Back when I was younger I'd set up camp in the forest and even had a fire going. I didn't have any brothers with me so this might seem strange but I'd gathered some food and was preparing it. Along came another sister who appeared my own age and said she'd smelt me cooking some dinner. She had a fresh kill herself but it wasn't cooked. She asked if she could join me as she wanted to try something that had been prepared."

"I'm guessing you said yes."

"I did. The meat wasn't ready yet though and I needed to step away to get some water. When I came back my food was gone and what was left wasthe kill she'd taken down earlier. She said it smelt so good that she couldn't wait and I could have her kill instead. Needless to say I was more then a little angry. I don't even remember what she'd taken down but it wasn't something I wasn't interested in. I on the other hand had found a very nice dear killed it and went through the trouble of preparing it. I got a little angry so I decided to kick her tail."

"How did that work out?"

"We were the same size but she was older then me and had more combat experience. I lost and she took her kill back."

"Ouch."

"I was so embarrassed that I couldn't even tell my friends what happened. The fact that a sister had betray my trust like that though left me boiling for weeks."

"Did you ever pay her back?"

Rimona couldn't help but grin as she gave a nod. "Oh yeah. I can't say I was actually out for revenge though. It was just one of those things that happened."

"Excuse me for a moment. Pardon me, pardon me." As Joseph spoke he quickly dashed over to one of the alchemist. "No. No. Don't do that."

Rimona had a grin on her face as she watched Joseph instructing another one of the alchemist. She didn't know the finer details of what was going on but it was fun to observe. As she looked around though she gave a long sigh. The fact that they were having to have their brothers make weapons for them didn't really set well with her but that was how life played out at times.

***********************************************************************************

"Where exactly are we going now?"

"That's none of your concern. You will perform your function upon your arrival and that's all you need to know."

It was impossible for Alex to keep from sighing. He'd thought that he was freed from this kind of treatment after he'd gotten away from the beasts. That didn't seem to be the case though. Unlike before though this voice he could hear in his head and feel her will in every part of his body. "Then may I know what my function is going to be?"

"You will tend to my servants before you. You are a human capable of using unnatural crafts and you will use them to improve upon them."

For a moment Alex said nothing but looked at the kobolds that moved all around him. As he examined them he couldn't help but notice something. He'd seen kobolds before but these seemed larger then the ones he'd noticed before hand. "It seems you've been working on that already."

"My efforts have been long and frustrating. Each generation I have tried to refine my followers sending the weaklings away and allowing those best suited to continue mating. The process has been slow though and while my servants had grown mightier so have those who would defy me. Now one such as yourself have helped them to grow more powerful still negating all my work!"

As the last sentence hit him Alex nearly fell to the ground. Pain surged throughout his entire body but something kept him standing and moving. It was probably the same force that caused him such pain. "I. I understand." Even as the words left his lips Alex realized he'd just been caught in an arm's race. Could he fulfill the spirit's demands though?

"If you obey me I will reward you with power and your desires. Should you fail me though you will suffer to repay your debt."

"I understand but what you ask takes time. It takes resources and it takes sacrifices." This presence inside of Alex seemed to grow stronger suddenly.

"I can see this. First upon our arrival my servants will help you to open yourself up more to me. Then your labors shall begin."

***********************************************************************************

"How are you doing Allen?"

"I'm alright Pera. You and the others are doing all the work after all. I'm just along for the ride."

"Eh. You're so light I could forget you where there if I didn't enjoy your company so much. So are your arms feeling better?"

"Not really."

"Oh yeah. You need longer then a few hours to recover from a strenuous work out. You really gave it all during that fight. I have to admit you inspired me to keep going as well."

"It made me feel better to do something but now that I think about it I just feel silly. I probably just wasted that poor orc's arrows after all."

"Don't say that Allen. If it hadn't been for you those arrows wouldn't have been fired and I'm sure that you took a few of the kobolds out of the fight at least. Hey did you see those tuskers whenever they came out of the forest."

"They were an absolute mess."

"Yeah but did you see how relieved Kelah was whenever she confirmed that most of the blood wasn't theirs. She seemed really happy whenever that really big tusker walked up to her. I wonder if she was so glad to see him that she didn't mind the blood or if sense she was already covered in blood she didn't care."

"I'm not sure but I sure as heck do care." A sigh escaped Pera as she held her claws up in front of her face. "It's going to take some real effort to get this much blood out of my fur."

"I thought you washed off before we left."

"I did the best I could on short notice but I can still smell the blood that sunk into my fur. It might not look like much but I'm a mess right now."

"Her Pera what do you believe my mom is going to do whenever we get back?"

"I'm not sure Allen. I don't believe she'll be angry with anyone after all we couldn't have known what was going to happen and you're safe now. I bet that she's going to be a little worried when it comes to letting you wonder around without someone to watch over you though. You might be going back to the days that if she wasn't with you then one of us had to be."

A low groan escaped Allen as he shook his head. "That is not a very pleasant thought. I enjoy the company as well but I kind of like being able to walk thirty meters from my home, set down and feel like I've got some privacy to myself. At least I don't have to believe that someone's eyes are watching me."

"Do you remember the first time the five of us went to play together?"

"Hm. I'm not sure. Why do you ask?"

"I can remember it because of how Stella smelt. I could tell that she was absolutely terrified to let you leave her side like that."

"Yeah my mom has always been a little protective of me. I can still remember riding around on her shoulder. Of course I should be able to remember that. I don't think it was more then a few months ago whenever she felt the need to pack me."

"Like we said earlier though. I bet with this size increase she'll feel the need to start packing you around again like she did when you were younger. After all, you're going to look a lot smaller to her now."

"I hope not. I mean I really hope not. Though it is nice having her carry me whenever it's raining so I don't have to trudge through the mud. Hey what do you think the others will be like when we tell them about the attack on the beach?"

"I bet they'll be happy they decided to increase our size. That battle would have been even harder if we hadn't put on the extra mass after all. I just wish it had more time to solidify."

At first Allen said nothing but looked at Pera. "Oh that's right! Your muscles aren't at full strength just yet are they?"

"I wish they were but no. Even once the mass is added it takes a little while for the body to reach its top performance level again. I guess it's probably because the tendons and ligaments aren't completely done adapting yet. Still, I hope that they can hold out if they're attacked in the morning like we were earlier."

"I bet they have that fort they were working on set up by now they were really working at it. That means they didn't sleep during the night though."

"Yeah. Sorry! I shouldn't have even mentioned that. Terima you've been quiet this entire time. What's going on in your head?"

"Do you think the village was attacked?"

"Huh?"

"Do you believe the village was attacked? Kersara said it herself. She'd never seen the water kobolds attack like that before. That goes for the numbers they attacked in and the fact that they were actually focusing on and trying to kill us. What do you think the odds of the village being attacked are?"

"Terima that's just silly. I mean sure we were attacked on the beach but the village is far too well guarded to be attack. It'd be full of sisters during the feasting to defend it anyway and absolute suicide."

"I don't know. I'm worried that we'll make it back to our homes to find them burned down and we've had to take up a defensive location in the library."

"Paranoid. What do you think Allen."

"I'm too busy worrying now that you two are talking about it. If the village was attack mom is going to be even more reluctant to let me go out and play." A sigh escaped Allen as he leaned his forward against Pera's back.

"Don't worry Allen if she's worried then we'll just stay with you."

"What if you're away fighting?"

"Well then I guess you won't have to worry about playing. You're not going to just set around are you?"

"Huh? What else can I do?"

"You're an alchemist right? You could help Joseph, Dan and the others with their work. I'm sure they'll be doing something to help out if an attack actually reached the village. Don't give me any of that stuff about you not being far enough long either. You know you're smart enough to help out even if its just mixing potions in preparation."

"I suppose you're right. Thanks for the vote of confidence Pera."

***********************************************************************************

Kelah took in a deep breath as she leaned up against the stone wall. The thick slab of rock was supported by several wooden beams which they'd braced deep into the ground. The structure she set before wasn't exactly set up to keep every attacker out. Rather it was set up to force a preferred path that could be easily defended rather then simply allow those inside to be swarmed. This would let them focus their defenses in a few key locations rather then spread all around them. She was glad it was done but at the moment she felt like crap. An entire days worth the fighting as well as a night's worth the work had left even her in poor condition.

"Here you go." As she spoke Kersara held a large shell under Kelah's nose. Inside of it was a pleasant smelling juice.

"Thanks." As she took the container Kelah took a light sip or what was meant to be a light sip. Instead of removing it from her lips though she turned the shell up and began to poor the liquid into her mouth as quickly as she could swallow it down. By the time she removed it she was breathing hard and had several spots were the juice had flowed over and onto her. "Damn I didn't realize how thirsty I was until just then."

An amused chuckle escaped Kersara as she took the shell. "I'll go and get you some more. Shouldn't you be inside napping right now with the others?"

"Oh I wish I was. Damn do I ever wish I was. Some people are more spent then I am though so I. Hey!"

Kersara gave a sigh as she picked up Kelah and began to carry her into the protective structure. "You're taking first watch is what you were about to say. Don't worry about that though my sisters and I are here and we've got more endurance and faster recoveries then you do. We'll make sure to warn you if we're attacked."

"You can watch for physical signs but what about the signs from the spirits?"

"Huh?

"Listen I'm dead tired and don't feel like walking so you just turn yourself around and set me back where I was while I explain. I'm not just setting on the beach using my eyes and ears to watch out for attacks. I'm also listening to the spirits and what they're telling me. If another attack like yesterday's comes they'll know long before our eyes will tell us anything."

"Dang I guess you have a good reason for being out there then."

"Yeah now march fluffy. Right back where I was."

A sigh escaped Kersara as she turned around and carried Kelah back out to her spot. As she set the orc down she gave her head a slight shake. "I'll bring you more to drink in just a few. Why are you leaned up against the stone like that though? It can't be comfortable."

"It's cold and right now that's more important to me then it being soft. Hey Kersara, would you like to know how things went for Dinon last night?"

"Sure."

"The spirit of fire gave us some extra backing and helped push some of the spirits of death that haven't sided with us away from here. There is one really powerful one though that refuses to take sides at the moment. We couldn't do anything about her. Dinon actually spent most of his energy last night trying to push her from the beach but it just didn't work."

"Kelah I have to ask. How does a spirit become a her?"

"Oh well it isn't really a her. The form the spirit chose to take though was clearly that of a female. From what Dinon told me about the spirit though I'm guessing she was formed from the death of a dragon. Powerful creatures like those can provide a lot of sustenance for a spirit but they also change its form."

"Hm is the spirit more powerful then Nightfang?"

"Ha! Fuck no. If it was I'd be able to convince Nightfang to help kill it. As it is now the spirit is powerful enough to be a concern but not powerful enough to challenge Nightfang so she's beneath his notice."

"I see. Anything else I need to know?"

"I'm very thirsty still."

Kersara gave a slight chuckle and a nod. "I'll be right back."

As Kersara turned to leave Kelah felt something pushing against the back of her hand. Instinctively she raised her hand and ran it over the top of the tusker's head. "Hey Razor. Are your cuts feeling better now?"

***********************************************************************************

Maria was rather surprised. As she sprinted through the forest she could tell the difference in her speed. Her longer legs made traveling through the forest all the faster though her larger body made it harder to avoid branches. Fortunately she didn't have to worry about that as she considered the contents of the crate she was packing. Even a full speed collision wouldn't be damaging those weapons. The smell of salt air brought a smile to her face as she realized how close she was getting to the beach. As she neared it though the smell of blood also filled her nose. Instead of risking a sudden appearance and attack she let lose a sharp roar.

Kelah jumped a bit when the sound hit her ears and she looked around. She recognized the roar but had no ideal what it meant. "Hey Kersara is that something I should be" there wasn't any time to finish as Kelah found herself cut off by a roar from Kersara.

"No that's just a greeting. I'm a friend, don't pounce me sort of business."

"Huh. Where some of your sisters in the area or something?"

"Not quite I know that roar." As the words left her lips Kersara felt a sudden rush of air as something burst from the forest and then ran past her.

"You had better know it."

"Huh? What? Maria did you just run past me before I heard what you said?"

Maria didn't hear Kersara's words immediately but only after she'd come to a stop a short distance away from the fortification they'd set up. "I suppose you may have. I know I didn't hear what you said until a moment ago."

"Damn you're speedy. What are you doing back here though?"

"Our brothers sent me to make a delivery. Actually, I have to make several deliveries but this is pretty much the most important one. Kelah on behalf of our brothers and sisters we would like you and your warriors to use these." As she spoke Maria set the crate down and opened it up.

Kelah wasn't certain what to expect as the crate was set down and Maria spoke. Once it was opened up though her eyes were made to widen. While she wasn't a mage her attunement to the spirits and training as a shaman showed her immediately that these weapons were enchanted. Their make was already obvious though from the look she doubted they'd ever been used. "What is going on?"

"Our brothers believe that we need to strengthen our defenses at the shores further however due to certain situations which this letter will explain." Before continuing Maria placed a finger on the letter that had been bound to the roof inside of the box. "We couldn't send additional bodies though. So instead it was decided to send you these. Do you believe they'll help?"

By now Kelah had picked up one of the weapons and was carefully inspecting the blade. "I've no doubt about that. What is going on back at your home though?"

"We came under kobold attack. Our brothers used some spells to inspect the beach and saw that you all had come under attack as well. Giving the timing and the scale of the attacks it seems impossible that they weren't related so we're preparing for all out war."

"I see. Well I'll get these handed out to my troops once they begin waking up."

"Thanks. Kersara, I need to get going but before I leave could you confirm that Pera's little group and Allen have already left for the village?"

"They did some time ago."

"That's good to know. We anticipated that they would have so I was looking for them on my way here but I didn't see anything. If you could point me in the general direction they took though I'm going to try to run them down. They should be easier to find with a trail to follow."

"Sure."

***********************************************************************************

"So what do you think Fera?"

Instead of responding right away the massive beast girl took a moment to look around the area one more time. She could see some residual energy in the ground but nothing of particular note. "There isn't anything here."

"I was afraid you would say that. Well we can see the path that they took towards the village but I'm not seeing anything else. Surely they didn't just all decide to go into one massive suicide attack upon us."

"I doubt that was the case. Weren't the kobolds already acting strange before this happened?"

"Yes. They'd began to move beyond their regular roaming areas and were trying to kill of the dryads."

"Perhaps that is where we should start then. They might know something or at least they could give us some hint as to what was happening. Give me a second to see if I can try to locate one for us to speak to."

Mina gave a slight nod and continued to walk around sniffing the air from time to time. The sent of kobolds was so thick in the area that she didn't have any real chance of finding a trail and she knew that but she wanted to try. At least it meant that she was doing something. "Before we start making any guesses as to what happened here though I believe we will need to speak with our brothers. I wonder if we could convince the dryad to come with us to the village."

"Isn't that kind of tricky? They don't like to leave their trees after all. I can't really blame them for that though. Can you imagine having a part of you attached to a given location and if that part of you was destroyed you'd die?"

"Like us and our original energy source?"

"Hm actually that is pretty similar. Mina I'm not seeing anything or smelling anything how about we get going?"

"Yeah. I can tell that they left from this area but the sent is going in so many directions it's pretty useless. Did you see any dryads near by?"

"Not near by. Which isn't surprising."

"True with the kobolds attacking dryads outside of their regular roaming area there is no way that any would stay within it."

***********************************************************************************

Xelaney didn't know what to think of her current situation as she set upon Fera's massive shoulder. Held several meters in front of her was her tree and it was moving. When the two beast girls had came to her and asked for her help she'd been happy to give it until they'd mentioned leaving her tree. In her current situation she didn't believe that wise at all. Instead of taking no for an answer though they'd offered to help her relocate. She'd been curious and asked them how they would do that. Then they had told her that they would take her tree with them.

Fera was being careful as she packed the tree before her. She didn't want to risk damaging it but she knew she had to hurry. They had managed to get most of the root system along with the tree but they had still cut it off from its life source. "How are you doing Xelaney?"

"I'm fine for the moment. So um exactly where are you going to be planting me?"

"I was thinking that we could plant you near the great library in our village. It's a little closer inside of our domain then we allow most sentient beings but you've been helpful in the past. Wouldn't you agree Mina?"

"I'm certain that would be fine. That way we could also get a dryads opinion of some of the art that was based on them."

"Oh now that could be very amusing or insulting."

As the two sisters talked Xelaney took a moment to look around. "Is the soil good there?"

"Absolutely wonderful. At least that is what the plant life in the region tells me. Hey Mina would you mind running ahead and alerting the rest of our sisters and brothers as to what's going on? Perhaps they could already have a place prepared for Xelaney here."

"Sure thing."

***********************************************************************************

Mirara couldn't help but chuckle as she looked around the room. Despite the severity of what was going on everyone's response to Fera showing up with a dryad had been quite amusing. They had important business to talk about now as their brothers had joined them. She was glad when Mirin decided to speak up.

"I believe it's clear to all of us that something is working against us in a coordinate effort. It isn't just us they're working against though. The attacks upon the dryads of the forest are strong indicators of that. What we must now try to figure out first is exactly what are we dealing with in this situation. Let's start by examining our findings and see if we can come to some sort of ideal." As he finished speaking Mirin took his seat.

At first no one moved causing Flora to look over at Mina. After a moment longer she gave the massive sister a poke in the side intending to get her to stand up. She was rather surprised whenever something gave her an extremely powerful push from behind. Something soft, fluffy and yet extremely powerful. It didn't take much for Flora to realize that it had been Mina's tail. Instead of protesting she grinned and stood up. "From what we found at the kobolds nesting area it's clear that they've moved else where. Now there is no doubt that many of them died attacking us here and in truth with the number of them that attacked it's possible that all of them died attacking us but that is unlikely. It seems more likely that while we were defending our home they were relocating to an area in which we'd have greater difficulty observing them. This would suggest a level of intelligence that we haven't seen the kobolds show before I would believe. If anyone would care to add to this."

Once again no one spoke until Flora had been seated. This time Nathan stood up. "It also shows what we are dealing with is a malevolent force having no concern for its soldiers. Not only that but consider how they pushed their attack upon our village until they all had fallen. It's clear that whatever is motivating the kobolds to attack frightens them more then death. Thus we know that there is no winning this through simply killing off a large number of the kobolds. Either they must be exterminated or whatever is leading them must be dealt away with. What could cause the kobolds more fear then death though?"

This time Flora chose to stand up and speak. "It isn't the death only that matters though but how the death is brought about. We've seen the kobolds fight to the death for other creatures in the past knowing that either choice led to their deaths most likely but believing they would suffer more if they didn't do as they were told. Perhaps we should also evaluate what happened with the mage Alex? I believe the report indicated that during his escape he showed a sudden increase in power. Is that true Mirin?"

"Yes, it was such an increase that the sister who gave pursuit reported the magic suddenly gaining the ability to influence her being. Given the level of spell require to perform such an act we can assume that something was aiding him."

"Is there anything that makes you believe that he had such a mechanism upon his person before hand?"

"I believe Mirara can answer that better then I can."

Mirara already knew the drill as she stood up and moved to the center of the room. Once you were called upon directly it was hard not to respond. "From my conversation with Markus I am certain Alex could not have cast such a spell on his own. Before they were confronted he had actually began to prepare a potion that would aid him in the casting of the spell. This was disrupted before it could be finished though at which time Alex seemed truly afraid. If he had been able to cast such a spell without aid it's unlikely that he would have taken time to prepare a potion or risked his life by drawing out the chase for so long. However, it didn't seem like he was expecting any form of aid either. Whatever aided Alex was unexpected and capable of doing so while a sister was in pursuit."

Nathan waited until Mirara had taken her seat to speak up once again. "So we have something leading the kobolds, capable of frightening them into attacking you sisters, capable of guiding massive numbers of them at once, greatly increasing a mages power, helping him while remaining unseen and are you all certain that we want to assume that this was a single being? I have to say the more I list what we know the more concerned I become."

"Would it matter if it was a single being or an organization?"

"No it wouldn't. What's extremely troubling though is that even we don't like to use teleportation spells. Then again perhaps we are wrong in assuming that it was a teleportation spell that was used. There are other ways of completely vanishing after all."

"Such as?"

"A concealment spell is possible however unlikely. It is also possible that they crossed from the physical realm into the spiritual realm. As you all know our sisters can't perform such acts and would have no means of pursuing someone who had done so or detecting them."

It took a few moments as Nathan set down and several brothers and sisters began to speak amongst one another. Finally Mirin stood up. "For the sake of safety let's assume we are dealing with a lone being. What is known to have all these capabilities though?"

No brother spoke up immediately so Flora couldn't help herself. "Wouldn't a demon have such a capacity?"

Mirin went silent for a moment then gave a nod. "That is a frightening thought Flora and I hope you're mistaken. However, they are beings with similar abilities that aren't demons at least not as we understand a demon to be. I don't know if that's any more comforting though. Let me ask you all this though. Does anyone believe that a being such as a dragon or even a human mage would have the capacity to do all we've spoken of? Perhaps a necromancer?"

Nathan gave his head a slight shake and stood up. "No. For one simple reason. If we were dealing with a dragon or necromancer why would they have aided Alex? We've listed what we know this existence can do but let's also think about what it needed and attacked. It needed a mage at least that's what we can assume and for that reason it saved Alex. A dragon or another mage with such power wouldn't need such a mage. I believe that Flora was the most correct whenever she said that we were dealing with a demon here."

"What do you believe that we're dealing with?"

"We're dealing with something between a corrupted spirit or a devil. That is my theory at least."

"That's quite a large range of spiritual beings though. Let's take a moment and consider the dryads. Would a devil have any reason to begin working against the dryads through the kobolds?"

"I don't believe so. By the same token though I believe we may also rule out the influence of a demon meaning we're dealing with a natural spirit. I believe we all know what kind of spirits would oppose a dryads existence."

"Now don't start that. No assuming that we know what you boys are talking about. Exactly what would oppose a dryads existence?"

"Sorry that was very rude of me. Dryads bring harmony to the natural environment around them for the most part. Many assume that dryads pick a naturally healthy region and they do but that's not the reason those regions do so well. A dryad's presence tends to enhance the environment making an already healthy area all the more vibrant. The more powerful the dryad the larger the area they influence."

"Oh I see. So whatever is going after the dryads would be opposed to such life enhancing magics?"

"That would be the case. So we're probably dealing with a spirit of death, disease, decay or something along those lines."

"Aren't they all the same though?"

"No. A spirit of death should not be treated the same as a spirit of decay. They have different goals and different strengths as well. They make work with one another though which means we may be dealing with a group of spirits that have decided to ally against us such alliances are rare though."

"Shouldn't we get some shaman and druids in on this then?"

"It would be wise."

"Okay then I have to ask now. Does this mean you have an ideal as to how we can deal with this spirit?"

There was no immediate response from the brothers as they all looked at one another. Dealing with spirit beings wasn't exactly an easy task but they were ways to deal with them. Unfortunately most of them involved tasks that the sisters couldn't perform. "Well the first thing we must do is weaken it through the physical world. We can do this by removing its supporters such as a kobold and correcting its taint in any regions it's claimed. For this reason we should go to the kobolds nesting areas and try to cleanse them."

"Okay what else then?"

"Well they are other things that need to be done. We can leave that for another time though."

"Oh no! What are you all trying to hide from us? You're going to do something dangerous aren't you?"

A sigh escaped Mirin as he stood back up. "There is no way for you to help us deal with the spirit directly. In order for that some of us are going to have to cross over into the spirit realm and confront it. Due to your bodies this isn't something you can manage though. Even if we don't cross over and attempt to attack the spirit with spells from our realm there is an element of risk involved. The most you could hope to do is be there should the spirit try to bridge the gap into our world."

"Why don't you try to pull the spirit into our world then? Once it is here we can take care of it."

"What you ask is even more difficult then attacking the spirit or crossing over ourselves. We would need some kind of connection to the spirit to do that. At the moment though we can't do anything along those lines."

"How come?"

"In short if we were to attack the spirit now we would be shooting blindly into the dark. Some of us must first investigate the spirit realm and locate the spirit there. The fastest way to do that is to go into the spirit realm and search for it though spells may be used as well. We could also contract some of the other spirits to find this new comer for us."

"Yet you can't contract them to fight the spirit?"

"We may be able to convince them to aid us however given the power of the spirit we're most likely dealing with direct intervention will probably be involved."

***********************************************************************************

Stella was finding it hard to stand still. As she walked around she lightly thumbed the button of the pouch she wore on her side. Inside of that pouch rested seven frost bombs that the brothers had provided. It was a strange though to realize she was packing a weapon but at the moment it was just something to fiddle with. Her mind was on other things as she looked into the forest and waited. Every time she would hear a rustling or the slightest sound she would spin in the direction though she wasn't looking for an enemy. Rather she was hoping for the return of her child.

The ground spoke of how long she'd been waiting. Each time she would turn the ground beneath her feet would be disrupted due to her massive size and weight. The area she'd been patrolling almost had a clear path through the grass now. The path became all the clearer as she once again turned towards a new sound. Instead of just hearing the wind though she noticed this sound continued towards her and soon she realized that it was voice speaking.

"Okay you all are old enough to help out though you're going to need to speak with your parents first. You're still children after all. As for you Allen, I'm not sure if you'll be allowed to help Dan with his project. They're working with some pretty dangerous materials after all. I am certain that there is something you can do though. I do believe you're going to have a hard time convincing your mother though."

"Yeah I'm worried about that as well. I want to do something though and not just be a bystander."

"Allen!" Stella couldn't help herself as she forgot her post and quickly dashed off to meet her son upon recognizing the voice. As she rushed through the trees though she didn't move to intercept Pera but stopped dead. She knew that stopping Pera at her current speed would seriously injured Allen. She didn't have to ask for Pera to stop though as the younger sister came to a stop just meters in front of her. Stella wasted no time snatching her son up and lifting him to her face to give him a kiss on the cheek. "It's so good to see you!"

"Hey mom. Maria says things have been busy here."

"Indeed they have but how are you my little boy? I don't smell any of your blood so I'm guessing Pera kept you nice and safe."

"Yeah everyone took good care of me."

"Thank you all so much for keeping Allen safe. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to my little boy."

"We were glad to do it Stella. Allen was a big help himself though."

"Really?"

"Yeah when we were attacked by the water kobolds he took up a bow and arrow and fought with us."

"Oh you'll have to tell me all about that though let's get back to the village for now. Oh and Maria. You should get some sleep and eat something you look terrible."

A sigh escaped Maria as she rolled her eyes. "Gee that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I am going to go check up on Joseph though."

"Now Allen why don't you tell me about the water kobolds and exactly what you meant by helping out while you were heading this way."

"You heard that?"

"Indeed I did."

***********************************************************************************

Two weeks had past since the attack upon the village. Mirara felt a little awkward as she made her way through the tree tops. Nora and Tera currently ran along either side of her as she moved along all three of them searching the forest for any signs of odd behavior.

"Are you okay Mirara?"

"Hm?"

"Are you alright?"

"Oh yeah Nora I'm feeling alright."

"You seemed a bit spaced out for a moment."

"I was just thinking about how strange I feel right now. In all the time that I've been a keeper I never expected my claimed to be taken from me like that. I guess they haven't really been taken though simply put in a new environment while I'm busy."

"Well they needed more man power for weapons' production and your claimed were some of the best behaved around. At least most of them where."

"Yeah they were all pretty quick learners. Still, I hope they're being treated fairly by the other keepers. I know each of us have our own style of handling our claimed."

"Well you told them which ones could be trusted didn't you?"

"Yes I did. You know this was one of the worse possible times for this to happen. It sort of set in while I was counting my claimed earlier. A good number of the claimed were killed after their attempt to escape. That already had our work force reduced but then this happens and they have to be redirected. Thanks to that we're going to be short on some basic supplies for a while and I'm not exactly fond of the solution to those shortages."

"You mean like the soap?"

"You mean that stuff our brothers call soap."

"Well they insist that it'll get us clean and remove any scents lingering in our fur other then our own."

"The stuff smells terrible though! Sure the sent goes away after you wash off but it's so hard to stand. I've actually started rubbing some scented oil beneath my nose before I clean myself off so I don't have to stand the smell."

"You're already out of the scented soap?"

"No. I've got some of it left actually I just don't want to use it right now. I'm saving it for special occasions. You agree with me though don't you Tera? That new soap smells terrible."

"Well it sure isn't a basket full of flowers. At least the smell washes out though and takes any other smells along with it. That scented oil is a good ideal though. Where did you get it?"

"Markus made me some."

"Huh? Your former claimed that left with Alex?"

"That's the" Mirara went silent as she felt the branch her foot landed against snap under her weight. Reflexively she shot out with her left leg and struck the tree sending her along a slightly different path but still moving. A notable crunch went throughout the area as her claws sank deeply into the tree she came into contact with next followed by the sound of the tree trunk cracking slightly as it was forced to sway suddenly. Mirara felt herself moving backwards and prepared to jump off but then she felt the tree stop and straiten back up. "Wow. Yeah that's the one though."

"Mirara are you okay?"

"Yeah, I guess I didn't realize how heavy I've become. Actually." For a moment Mirara said nothing but looked back at the path they'd been taken. She then allowed herself to fall to the ground. "I'm going to travel by ground I believe."

Instead of commenting Nora joined Mirara on the ground. "I guess that as we get larger the times we can travel through the trees is going to leave us. I know that a matron couldn't possible travel through the trees."

"Yeah and besides the branches in this portion of forest couldn't even hold me for an instant."

"Hey you two down there. Do you smell something?"

Instead of responding right away both sisters took a moment to sniff the air. Nora then looked up at Tera. "I don't smell anything."

"Well I do. Come on let's go this way for a few." Instead of waiting for a response Tera quickly changed directions and began to dash through the forest. She could hear the other two behind her.

***********************************************************************************

Pera took in a deep breath of air as she looked down the river. "This is a pain in the tail."

"Oh it isn't so terrible. At least we're out and about."

"We've been searching for over a week now! I swear I wish he could make himself easier to find."

An amused chuckle escaped Terima as she looked around. "You just want to find him so that you can spend more time with Allen. Admit it you're suffering from withdraw."

"Oh please you make me sound like I'm addicted to him."

"With the way you two cling together at times I believe you are. Anyway, are you detecting any scent at all?"

"I believe I am but it's hard to be sure. Even with our connection he's hard to locate. I wish I could get a second opinion on it."

"Sorry. That's not exactly something I can help with given I lack any form of connection to him."

"Yeah I know. We're going into the cooler months I believe and given the form he likes to take we should be able to find him around the rivers. Do you know the hunting in this area? I mean where do the bears like to gather to catch fish?"

"Um I'm not sure I don't much care for bear meat. They'd probably make use of natural barriers that made the fish easier to catch. Let's go check out all the shallows and any place in the river that the path gets narrow."

"Darn it. Hey wait." As she spoke Maria held up her hand and took in several deep breathes. A somewhat familiar though strange scent field her nose with each breath and she lowered herself to the ground taking in several more breathes. A slight gust of wind drifted her way moments later and she took in another breath of air. "I think I'm onto something but." Once again Pera grew silent and took in several breathes of air. "This would be a lot easier if they didn't use predator tactics as well."

"Can you get an ideal of where the scent is coming from?"

"Yeah. Yeah I believe I can. Come on let's go this way."

***********************************************************************************

As the bear stood on the bank it held its paw at the ready. Several fish swam by the creature but he made no smooth to strike them. Those fish were too little and swift for it to be worth the energy. This all changed moments later as a rather noticeable target came moving through the water. The bear was made to shift slightly in preparation and then a massive splash as the bear lunged into the water. For a moment the sight was blurred as the creature thrashed about and then emerged packing the fish. A sudden impact upon the bears side soon deprived the bear of its catch though.

"Papa!"

Desmon's ears perked up immediately as the words hit his ears. The bear was made to shift slightly as the weight left it's side. Standing before the bear was a massive feline creature with a rather toothy grin. The druid responded immediately by standing up strait and sending energy throughout his body. Fur, bulk, claws and fangs were all made to recede.

"Pera! What brings you out here?"

"I was looking for you."

"Hm? I'm going to assume that whatever has been moving throughout the forest has began to influence you as well then."

"It probably has. I just hope we're talking about the same threat. Do the druids have any ideal of what's going on?"

"We've noticed changes. Let's talk about that later though. If you're coming out here to find me then I assume they want me back at your village."

"Yeah should I fill you in along the way?"

"No. I would rather hear about what has been going on in your life. I'm certain that I'll hear plenty about what has happened upon my arrival. Now the last I remembered you and that boy Allen were spending time together. How has that been going?"

"Allen and I are getting along wonderfully. I swear each time I look at him he's even cuter then the last and it's hard to resist picking him up and packing him around. My extra height really isn't helping with that desire though." As she spoke Pera began to walk along leading her father towards their village.

"So does that mean the two of you have kissed yet?"

"Um well I've kissed him."

"He hasn't kissed you though?"

"He's kissed me a few times on the cheeks. That is okay though. Oh Terima don't mention that to Stella though. If she knew I'd given Allen a kiss on the lips she'd probably be mad."

"Yeah. Yeah I know. Don't worry about it."

"Hm his mother was that Stella right?"

"Yep."

"Ah well you're both quite young. I suppose I should actually be a little concerned that my little girl is already giving a boy kisses on the lips but I'm sure you can handle yourself. Now you two haven't done anything beyond that have you?"

"We spent the night cuddling on the beach."

"Ookay now you might be a little young for that one. Does your mother know about this?"

A slight giggle escaped Pera as she gave a nod. "Yep! She even gave me some advice for whenever I'm cuddling with a brother to make sure I don't harm him."

For a moment Desmon said nothing but took a moment to look up at his towering daughter. At her current size he didn't even come up to Pera's chests a fact that he couldn't help but notice. He was naturally tall though and a full grown adult. Allen as he recalled was a bit on the short side and still a child. "I suppose I don't have any grounds to complain if your mom says that it's okay. Just don't make me a grandfather too soon."

"You don't have to worry about that!"

"Well that's good to know. So Pera exactly what did your mom say about when cuddling with a human."

"She said to make sure I keep my face turned towards him when going to sleep and keep his body pulled close to mine. As long as I can feel him held against me I'm not likely to roll towards him. On the other hand if we were to sleep with too large of a gap between us my body may not recognize his presence after I actually went to sleep and I could end up rolling on top of him."

"Now that could hurt."

"Hey dad. It's been a while since you last came and visited me. What have you been up to?"

"Well about three months ago I ended up having my right hind leg torn open. It hurt something terrible I have to say that. I suppose that's what I get though for forgetting where I was."

"What tore your leg open?"

"Just one of the lovely fish you have in the river of fangs."

"You were fishing as a bear in the river of fangs?"

"Well not all the fish there have fangs."

"Dad! I get that you're living as a bear when you're out here but is that really needed? Even the real bears know to stay away from that river."

"Yes probably not one of my more intelligent moments I admit. Other then that I've simply been becoming further attuned with the natural elements of this forest. I should have and came to visit you and your mother though. Things were simply busy."

"Busy in what way other then having your leg opened up?"

"The recent activities of the kobolds have kept me busy. The dryads you see do a lot to maintain a healthy forest. With the kobolds recent activity though they've gone through the trouble of abandoning those regions. I've even helped them to change their locations from time to time. Which isn't an easy task mind you. At the same time though someone had to go into those regions and try to sustain the natural balance in those regions. I managed to do away with a few kobold shaman while I was doing this."

"I take it you killed them."

"The little monsters were draining the life from the surrounding plant life and storing the energy into some kind of amber. Of course I killed the little beast for it. I swear they may follow shaman practices but the difference between kobold shaman and most I know is the difference between a warlock and a mage." A sigh escape Desmon as he placed an arm around his massive daughter's waste. "Still, I should check in on you from time to time. Perhaps your mother would be alright with you spending a few months in the forest with me."

"Um well dad. Actually, I don't believe I would want to do that. I'm not sure if I'd like to be away from my friends for months after all."

"Oh! My mistake. Yes I imagine you'd miss Allen terribly."

"It isn't just Allen!"

"Sure it isn't."

In response to her father's comment Pera quickly swung her tail and gave the human a good smack upside the head.

***********************************************************************************

A sigh escaped Maria as she feel into the chair and let her eyes grow closed. She had been running around so much that even her legs ached as did her feet so it was nice to be off of them for a bit. "Joseph are you getting a snack in there?"

"Not at the moment. Why? Do you want me to get you something?"

"Only if you were going to eat in front of me."

"Not this time I'm afraid." As he spoke Joseph continued to rummage about though only after testing the water temperature of a large pot he had heating up. After confirming it was warm he wasted no time adding a few other compounds before picking the pot up and heading into the setting room where Maria currently was.

Maria perked up the moment she saw the pot. "Wow. You weren't joking when you said you weren't getting a snack. Did you decide to make a meal instead?"

"Oh heck no. This isn't food Maria." As he spoke Joseph continued on over to Maria and set the large container of water down next to her. He then took hold of her nearest foot and began to move it towards the water.

"Joseph what are you doing?" Despite the question Maria continued to let Joseph guide her foot and submerge it into the water. A long sigh escaped her the moment she felt her foot engulfed in the warm water.

"I noticed how you were walking when you got back and I thought you may need this." As he spoke Joseph took hold of the other foot and guided it to join the second. "Now give me a moment and I'll go get the brush."

"Oh? So am I to be pampered tonight?"

"You were looking like you needed it. How are things going anyway?"

"I really don't know. It's kind of strange to be packing weapons now but the brothers insist that we do so. At the moment the forest seems calm enough but we can't be certain of anything. You'd probably know more about what was going on then me though considering what we're facing. How are you and Dan doing?"

"Well we about have every sister who's going on patrol armed but the problem is building up a surplus. Unfortunately tensions are beginning to build. Everyone was okay with the shift in production during the first week but now some people have different ideals about what we should be working on. People are starting to argue over it."

"Yeah some sisters are starting to talk about shifting out patrol patterns and abandoning a few locations to whatever may be there for the time being. OH! That feels nice."

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he looked up at Maria. "If I worked a humans foot this hard they'd probably be screaming in pain and trying to kick me away right now."

"Well it feels wonderful to me." Maria gave a sigh as she looked down at Joseph and watched him scrubbing the pad of her foot for a moment. He was currently making use of a brush that was more meant to remove rust from metal then cleaning but it worked fine for her skin. Especially the toughened padding on the bottom of her feet. "So what are the brothers fighting about exactly?"

"Some feel we should be working on more permanent weapons then simple frost and fire bombs. I actually agree with them but I disagree with how far they want to go." As he spoke Joseph took a moment to look at Maria's foot then up at her. He couldn't help but grin as he put down the brush for a moment and placed his palm against Maria's massive foot. The padding on the bottom of her foot was rubbery but warm. It clearly wasn't the foot of a human though. What was truly amusing though was how little of that massive foot his hand covered.

"So what do you want to do?"

"Well." Before continuing Joseph picked up his brush and resumed his scrubbing. "I would like to work on some shapers."

"Shapers?"

"Hm they're like magical wands. Except that the user doesn't use their own magic to activate them but makes use of a stored energy source. Think of a magical staff with an opening at both ends. You'd point the business end towards your target and them poor an alchemical potion into the top. The staff would then shape that energy and cast the spell."

"How is that different from what you're using now?"

"Well with the potions we're currently using the spell and energy is all contained in the potion. With a shaper the potion is just raw energy which means you can use a wider variety of potions. Also the shaper itself isn't like most magical items. They're not harmed by anti-magic spells or influences though they may keep them from casting. By making use of a shaper you could carry a lot more fire power with you."

"Oh that's neat! I guess the problem is if you lose the shaper?"

"Yeah and they're not as easy to make as these potions. I swear Maria this is crazy."

"What is?"

"How little of your ankle my hand can cover."

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she reached out with her tail and ran it along the side of Joseph's face. "It feels nice though."

Chapter 22 by happiest_in_shadows

Instead of commenting Joseph once again placed his hand on the hill of Maria's foot. His hand just barely stretched the length of her hill but it came no where near covering it. An odd feeling came over him as he noted Maria's toes and how they wiggled. For a moment it seemed like she was using her toes to wave at him and before he could think about what he was doing he'd leaned forward and gave Maria's foot a kiss.

The moment Joseph's lips met her foot Maria let out a slight yelp. Before she could even think about what she was doing she had pulled her leg back though there was a massive grin on her face. "What was that for?"

"I. I um have no ideal."

At first Maria said nothing but just looked at Joseph then an amused giggle escaped her. "Well don't do that it tickles and besides I prefer to get kisses else where."

"It tickles?" As he spoke Joseph began work on the foot that was still within range.

"Yes!"

Once again an odd feeling came over Joseph though this time he knew what it was. Without a moments hesitation he wrapped his right arm around Maria's massive leg and began to very gently run his fingers over the pad of her left foot. He actually had to regain his grip seconds later as the muscles in Maria's leg seemed to explode forcing his grip to loosen. Fortunately she didn't pull her leg back this time as he would have been going along for the ride.

"Joseph!"

It was impossible for Joseph to keep from grinning as he heard Maria burst into giggles seconds later. While he couldn't see what was going on behind him it was clear he was onto something as he heard her laughing. There were several moments in which she was clearly trying to tell him to leg go but her giggles overwhelmed her ability to speak. "So it seems that it's gentle force which is your weakness."

"St. Stop it! You!" Before she could finish Maria had nearly fallen over onto her side laughing. It was with supreme effort thus that she bit down on her lower lip and began to set up while reaching out for Joseph. Unfortunately her effort proved futile as once again laughter overcame her and she fell to her side.

"I have you n" a massive tail slamming into Joseph's mouth stopped him from speaking. The tail didn't stop at halting his speech though but quickly wrapped around his face covering both his nose and his mouth. Immediately he noted a new found difficulty in breathing but he didn't relent on tickling Maria's foot.

At least she still had control of her tail. As Maria wrapped it around Joseph's head she had no intention of hurting him. She wasn't going to just stay there helplessly either. She just had to keep him from getting enough oxygen to continue his attack. Fortunately the vigorous pace at which he was working his arms called for a lot of oxygen. Unfortunately it was very hard to keep her tail taught without hurting him while being tickled.

***********************************************************************************

Mirara gave a sigh as she snapped the dead branch off the tree. "We came through here just three days ago. I can still smell our scent."

In response Nora gave a nod and looked around. All around them were leafless trees with then branches some turning white some turning black. The roots where turning black. There was a few splotches of white on the trees and the ground had been covered by a black muck. The entire area stunk of rot. "It's all dead now though."

"I believe I heard something about other sisters finding sites like this. What do you believe we should do Mirara?"

A low growl escaped Mirara as she looked around. Find out who had done this was the dominant thought in her mind but she pushed it away. "Sniff around and rip of anything that you believe may give our brothers a clue as to what happened. We'll take a sample with us back to the village but we're not actually going to take it into the village. Make sure you both remember this place encase one of our brothers wants to come back and look around."

There were no words of confirmation from either sister as they both began to busy themselves searching the area. Mirara for her part took a moment to look around and took in a few more breathes of air. A slight scent hit her nose seconds later and she found herself wondering to the side. The scent was faint and each time she tried to find it again she had to take several breathes. She soon found what she was smelling though as she began to move away several bits of debris. Resting under a few bits of black foliage she was a bit surprised to find a tiny healthy acorn. She wasted no time retrieving it.

***********************************************************************************

"It's a dryads acorn." Mirin couldn't help but note as he looked at the tiny seed. Typically dryads were bound to a given tree. However, they could move by producing certain acorns and sending them out. These acorns contained part of the dryads essence and could be used to form a few tree so she could abandon the old. Though this meant starting over from a sapling. It was a dangerous act that dryads tended to avoid unless they felt there was truly no choice.

"Is that why it wasn't like everything else there?"

"I won't know for certain until those samples you brought back are examined but I believe so. The natural purifying abilities of a dryad would have protected this acorn. I'm actually tempted to examine it further but that won't do."

"Huh? Why not?"

"Mirara I want you to find a nice place within the safe zone of our community to plant this acorn. The dryad might have moved on but if she hasn't then I believe we should do it. We have no way of finding the dryad who made this acorn but if they haven't formed a new tree yet then she may be brought to us."

"Alright."

"Oh. Also make sure all our sisters know to protect the tree as well and to be careful around it. I'll make sure that our brothers know of its presence as well."

"That sounds good. So what are we going to do about the dead area though?"

A sigh escaped Mirin as he shook his head. "I'll send a brother to go burn the area and make sure there is no residual magic. Give me about two hours to find someone and could you send two or three guardians down this way to escort him?"

"Sure but Mirin you seemed really tired right then."

"It's not that I'm tired physically it's just I'm tired of not having the needed resources. I'd love to send a group of brothers to look at that location or even go myself however I can't do that. We don't have enough people who have the time. I'm tired of not having the resources we need."

"I understand. I can't say we're doing much better."

"You mean you can't patrol like you'd want to."

"Unfortunately no. How goes setting up the new system though?"

"It should be finished within a week. Once the system has been set up we'll be far more aware of what comes into and goes out of our secure locations."

"Um I know you said you're busy but could you explain what it is exactly?"

"The basics sure. Effectively we're making golems and stationing them to observe certain key locations however these aren't ordinary gollems. That's not to say they're particularly powerful in fact in many ways they're far inferior to standard golems."

"Then what's important about them?"

"Well they can't walk around or grab things they can't even speak verbally. If you saw one you'd probably believe that it was just a stone. However, what they can do is network their awareness with a central golem which can communication the information and they can be produced very rapidly. We're positioning them all throughout the area to act as additional eyes and ears."

"Oh that sounds pretty clever. Who's ideal was it to make use of such golems?"

"Well. It was mine. Though I can't say the ideal is entirely of my own design. I had some inspiration. Anyway, Mirara don't forget to take some time to yourself to relax."

"I know. I'm probably going to spend some time with Markus."

"Are you two getting along well?"

"Yep. I'm hoping that he'll be joining our community soon. I understand that he still wants to leave on some levels but I hope he realizes he can have a full life here with us as well."

"I'm certain that you can show him that."

"Hey Mirin. If we're so hard pressed why don't we call in some more allies?"

"Well we already have. Pera has been tasked with locating her father so he can help us get in touch with the other druids."

"I guess after all of this we're going to be a little bit in debt to our allies."

"This does concern them but I believe we should be grateful for them not siding with the enemy or leaving the burden on us. We'll just have to make sure to let them now we appreciate that."

***********************************************************************************

Phinila had a wide grin on her face as her daughter approached along with a rather familiar face. "Desmon it's good to see you."

"You as well Phinila. I see you've been taking good care of our girl and yourself. You look a bit taller then the last time I saw you."

A slight chuckle escaped Phinila and she gave a nod. "Well I don't know if I'm taller. Perhaps you're just shorter?"

"No. I don't believe so. So what are you doing out here?"

"I'm here to greet the two of you and make sure you're comfortable of course. You may be here a while as we didn't know when you'd be arriving."

"What? I'm the one sent for and I have to wait?"

"Well we are quite busy."

"Ah well it's alright. That just means I'll have time to catch up with our daughter more. So have you been doing well Phinila?"

"As well as can be expected during these times." Phnilia couldn't help but grin as Desmon came within arms reach and she found herself looking down at him. The fact that he was slightly below her chests put a smile on her face that she couldn't remove. "From your scent I'm guessing you haven't been in human form for long."

"I've spent the last months living as a bear attempting to get further in touch with the true nature of the animal. I believe I've made progress. Though if we're going to talk about such things I believe we should excuse Pera for the time being. I already gave her the story on the way here as she gave me the story of what has been happening here despite me insisting I'd rather here about what's been going on in her life.. That was some incident at the beach and it's hard to believe you were attacked directly."

"It was a shock to us all believe me." As she spoke Phanilia turned and began to walk. While her legs moved her tail extended back and wrapped around Desmon so that she was pulling him along.

"Um Phanila where are we going?"

"I figured we'd head over to my house and you could take a bath. I meant it when I said you smelt like you hadn't been in human form in a long time."

"Hey now I thought you said you liked my scent."

"No. I said you smelt very tasty. Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing but it's not a good thing when around so many of my sisters. I also doubt my brothers would like you smelling like all the out doors either."

"Pera tell your mother that I don't smell that bad."

"Well actually dad. You kind of do."

A long groan escaped Desmon as he shook his head. "Fine fine. You know it's not like I never groom myself or wash off."

"Well this time you're going to use soap. Then again. Perhaps we shouldn't wash you off right when we get home."

"I'm leaving!"

Desmon couldn't help but grin as he looked back to see Pera come to a dead stop and begin to walk in the other direction. "I'll see you later today Pera."

"Um make that later this evening sweet heart."

"No more details or suggestions!" Instead of waiting around Pera quickly began to sprint away.

"She's sure grown a lot since I last saw her and I'm not just talking about her height. She seems like she's going to be catching up to you in size soon enough. Do you believe you're ready for that?"

"Yeah, honestly I expect our daughter to make keeper some day and I'll have to look up to her."

"You know you could probably make keeper if you wanted to push for it."

Phanila smiled a bit and slowed down long enough just to give Desmon a kiss on the forehead. "Thanks for the vote of confidence but I don't believe so. I just don't have the mentality to be a keeper. Besides all that additional responsibility would get in the way of my current life style."

***********************************************************************************

"The frost bombs were a response to an immediate need as were the fire potions. They weren't meant to be a long term alternative and we've built up a sufficient stockpile to begin thinking of longer term alternatives."

"What are you talking about Dan? At the moment the most any of our sisters carry with them is seven. That's hardly enough for a long drawn out battle. Even if each of our sisters had a supply of seven during the attack upon our village they still wouldn't have had enough to repel the kobolds by themselves."

"That's another important point though. How many potions can our sisters pack on their person without hindering themselves? I would say twenty at the max and that's pushing it. With a shaper though they could carry at least fifty charges in less space then twenty potions."

"That may be true but think of how our sisters fight. In all likelihood they'll end up shattering the shaper as well and those aren't easy to make. Just the silver involved in their development is a serious problem. We don't have the resources of the outside world."

"Silver can be recovered and reused if the shaper is damaged though. As important though are the potions. You said what if the shaper is broken. Well that means the shaper is broken and the potion they have on them is useless but the shaper can be repaired. What happens if they break the bottles or even a single bottle that contains an alchemical formula though? We get a nice explosion or a release of cold that is likely to set off the other potions. At least in the case of a damaged shaper we don't end up with a massive explosion of cold or heat."

"Okay Dan you have a point there but what about this. It takes several hours to make a single shaper during which many potions can be made. Do we have the time to make enough shapers for our sisters to use factoring in the need to repair the damaged ones?"

"I say that we do. I strongly believe we've built up a large enough stock pile of combat potions that we can begin working on the shapers."

"I don't agree. In one serious battle all of those potions could be consumed. Just because our sisters haven't encountered many problems now doesn't mean they won't soon."

"You overestimate how likely our sisters are to use those potions. Keep in mind the only reason spells of any type were needed was the village was in danger. If our sisters had intercepted the kobolds further away it would have been an easy task for them to slaughter them. They weren't calling upon our magic to help them they were calling upon our magic to help protect us."

"What about those sisters that were injured during the fighting? It was clear they were losing numbers."

"The rate at which the kobolds were declining in numbers far exceeded our sisters injuries."

"You claim that but what proof do you have?"

It was impossible for Dan not to grin as he looked at the questioning brothers. "At the point of our interference in the battle the kobolds numbers had been reduced by roughly twenty percent of their total. The total that would be attacking that is. This was estimated by making use of data obtained from Fera as well as life scrying in the region as well as by noting the total mass of kobolds we had to deal with. On the other hand though only seventy three of our sisters had been forced to retreat from the actual fighting. Of those seventy three fifty two of them would have been rejoining the battle shortly. Only four of those sisters had been seriously injured enough that they wouldn't be able to rejoin the battle within the day. The kobolds were losing fighting strength much faster then our sisters and in reality the numbers don't give an accurate picture of what was happening. Of those sisters who were taken out of the fighting most were guardians."

Mirin couldn't help but grin as he glanced over at the brothers who had been giving Dan a hard time. Numbers could be such a wonderful thing to shut people up. They were other issues though. "I see what you're saying Dan. However, we've also determined that this was the weaker kobolds we were facing. There wasn't a shaman amongst their ranks or any that could be termed as a leader. If they had a few shamans or even other kobolds to serve as leaders and guide their attack they would have done better."

"I can't dispute that but that would be the same for potions or shapers."

"What is to stop them from intentionally targeting the shapers though?"

"To be honest they probably will once they see what is happening. However, what's to stop them from having their shaman try to set off the potions our sisters are packing in advance or telling the other kobolds to strike them there? At least with the shapers the worse thing that would happen is our sisters lose their weapons. In the case of the potions we get an explosion."

"That is true and it would be easier on maintenance."

"What!" Shot throughout the room as several brothers turned to Mirin. "What are you talking about? The shapers will be harder to maintain."

"You're wrong. The potions our sisters are packing on themselves now are degrading. As time goes on they'll lose more and more of their power and we'll have to keep replacing them. This isn't the case for shapers. I for one am for halting the production of potions and beginning work on shapers."

"Do you seriously believe we can make shapers sturdy enough to endure our sisters use?"

"They're grown women not children they can be careful. Besides we make glass bottles that can."

"They're contained in special carrying cases and you know it!"

"Then we adjust the carrying cases a bit."

As Joseph listened to the happenings going on around him he glanced over at Dan who seemed to be relaxing now. "They're starting to yell."

"Yeah."

"I thought they were more orderly then this."

"They'll get rational again in about five minutes and starting making compromises. That or Mirin and several other rank eights will shut them up. So how have you and Maria been doing? We haven't been able to really talk as of late or spend any time together."

"Maria is coming home every day with her feet tired and hurting which is astounding to me. I never thought her legs got tired or her feet got sore. How is Mina doing? Is the baby alright?"

"Mina is doing fine and the baby should be as well. Though she's starting to stress. She doesn't want to risk any complications during our child's birth you see so this war came at a very poor time. I've been helping to keep her relaxed though."

"How so?"

"Many messages, a listening ear and sweet treats to help her relax. I think she'd feel better though if she felt like she was doing something."

"Hey Dan it's been a while since I last got a chance to check but how is the life bloom doing?"

"What don't you two young fellows find our for yourself."

At the sound of the elder voice both Dan and Joseph turned to see Nathan setting behind them. The old man had a wide grin on his face. Dan was the one to speak. "Sorry Nathan were you trying to listen?"

"Indeed I was. Your conversation seemed very important and I thought maybe I could give you a hand. All of this is giving me a headache though why don't we take a moment to step out."

"Um what about the vote?"

A sigh escaped Nathan and he stood up. The room was made to hush almost immediately. "Me and these two young fellows are voting for the production of shapers and the relegation of potion creation to a few trusted claimed totaling no more then a dozen. Now we're stepping out while you all yell some more."

***********************************************************************************

"So Nathan what did you want to talk to us about?"

"Well it's about the life bloom and the fact that we need an extra set of hands or two working there. That is additional experienced hands."

"What for?"

"Joseph you know that life bloom of yours lets energy flow into our world from the mystic plains. We've also established that it isn't a linear growth but an exponential grate of increase. That's a lot of energy that's going to be flowing into that room and while current safe guards can handle it we've got another method we'd like to make use of. We've been trying to set up a system in that room which will allow the energy to flow to our sisters. Now with everything that has happened we had to put that on hold but we're ready to begin working on it again and we'd like you two to help out."

At first Dan and Joseph said nothing but took a moment to look at one another. Neither of them had heard anything about this. Joseph chose to speak up first. "Are you certain that you don't need us working on weapons for our sisters?"

"I am certain. This is a more powerful weapon then the potions or shapers after all. Besides we can leave such tasks to the less capable you two are a bit beyond that."

"Well have you already done the calculations to insure that it's worth the expense?"

"Oh indeed we have. We've done it seven times each time after retaking the data. The energy gained would be worth it."

"Well alright then. I wouldn't mind helping out though I have to ask. Why haven't we heard about this before?"

"It was decided that this is something we'd keep quiet from our sisters as well as some of our brothers. We don't want any form of interference in this work. Naturally they are some that know about it which we'll be introducing you to if you agree to help and keep quiet."

Dan gave a quick nod. "I'll be quiet as long as it won't hurt our sisters or well me."

"The same goes for me. I would appreciate it if you would explain why we're keeping this a secret though."

"The simple reason is to avoid interference. You see Joseph well." A sigh escaped Nathan as he placed his fingers together. "The energy gain will be worth it based on our calculations. However, the material cost will be significant. If you were to check our supply reserves you'd find that we've already secured a rather noticeable amount of silver for our efforts and well we made need more silver."

"You mean to help direct the energy."

"Well yes."

"Um Nathan given that Silver is needed for the shapers I'm not sure if that's a good thing."

"I would agree though we believe this system takes priority over the shapers."

"How about you give me and Dan some time to work on ideals for this. I'm certain that we can come up with an alternative to silver. Something that we can obtain or make more readily don't you agree Dan?"

"Hm Joseph do you believe that we could use focusing crystals as part of the relay system? Like the ones that are used to tip mystic staffs?"

"Well I believe so but that's a lot of crystal to grow if I'm picturing the current system properly. Let's go take a look though."

"I swear you two are something else. I just mention the ideal and you're already thinking of ideals. Well come with me."

***********************************************************************************

Mina gave a sigh as she stepped into her home. She could hear the sound of paper being turned and notes being taken which meant that Dan was hard at work on something. This meant something had changed. If he was taking his work home with him that meant he wasn't working on the potions anymore or he was trying to find a better way to do it. She made no move to call out to him though as she walked towards their room.

The right type of crystal could be used to transfer energy to a central hub. One had to be careful though when doing this. Typically metal when used to transfer energy could heat up depending on how much energy went through it. Crystal did the same however unlike metal which could easily expand crystal wasn't so forgiving. It expanded yes but it would shatter far more easily then metal and the energy released tended to be far more disastrous. So Dan had to make sure he had his formula correct. Unfortunately the more energy that was transferred the more refined the crystal and thus the formula used to grow it had to be. Currently he was going over old notes and documents trying to remember techniques he hadn't used in a very long time.

It was impossible for Mina not to smile as she stepped into the room. Dan still hadn't noticed her. Whenever they'd first met Mina had already been a keeper so Dan had actually been slightly below her crotch whenever he was standing. She'd been allowed to grow even more since then though and with him setting he didn't even seem to come up to her knees. This made Mina smile and gave her a naughty ideal as she walked over to Dan. He was so focused on his papers that he didn't notice her standing behind him or her legs slightly to either side of him.

Dan knew that the crystal would have to be able to survive vibrating at an extremely rapid frequency. This meant it would have to be exceptionally pure but he believed that could be managed. What was causing him some serious issues though was trying to figure out the exact components to use. His mind was made to shift gears slightly as he felt something warm press down on top of his head and then begin to move slightly.

Mina couldn't help but grin as she gently rubbed her lower lips against the top of Dan's head. "Hey sweet heart what are you doing?"

Blood seemed to flat out stop going to Dan's brain as he realized what was rubbing against his head. Instead it seemed to divert to his crotch, his eyes were made to widen and he felt his entire body tense up. "Just. Um just something to help with the. Help with the life bloom. Yeah.

An amused giggle escaped Mina as she pushed down a little harder. As she did so she could feel her lips part slightly as she deposited a bit of her wetness atop Dan's head. "Mm you don't say. Do you suppose that it could wait for a few?"

"It's kind of. Well It's kind of important." Even as the words left his lips Dan could feel his penis pushing against the front of his pants. It was actually kind of painful. By now though he was very aware of Mina's massive thighs to either side of him.

"Please? We haven't been intimate for a long time now."

Dan couldn't help himself as he took in a deep breath. His arms reached out to either side of him and he grasped Mina's thighs to the best of his ability. He leaned his head back and raised himself up slightly so that he pressed his lips against her lower lips. Her lips easily engulfed his and as he kissed her he noted and tasted her wetness on her lips.

"Ah! That feels good. I can feel so much of your face pressing against my lips." A delighted giggle escaped Mina as she reached down and placed a hand against Dan's face pressing it more firmly against her crotch.

Dan had to raise up in his seat to remain comfortable as he continued to press his lips against Mina's crotch. As he did so though he felt her lips parting and for a moment it felt like he could slip his head inside of her. No such thing was happening though he was surprised by just how much of his face he could get inside of Mina now. Soon he had to back away to take a breath and fortunately her hand allowed it. "My someone's excited."

"You've been so busy with work that." A sharp gasp escaped Mina as Dan once again pressed his face against her crotch. Her legs were made to wobble and suddenly she stood up for fear that she may collapse onto Dan. "Dan please you've been so busy lately. I need you now though."

"Well I'm not going to say no to that." As he spoke Dan moved to stand up though he didn't need to. Before he could begin to bend his knees Mina had lifted him into the air and began packing him towards their bed.

***********************************************************************************

"Dan what on earth got hold of you?"

"Mina."

"Ah. No need to say more. Well I doubt you have much at the moment but I was able to get some work."

"Who said I didn't have much to show?"

"Oh. Well I just figured Mina would have you too busy last night to really work."

"She had me very busy for a while. Really I didn't get any work done last night but while I was laying their with her I had a few ideals and managed to get them written out before coming here. I believe I know the plants we can use to make a crystal which would meet our requirements."

"You mean it could handle five hundred thousand ziron?"

"If we purify it enough it would be able to handle eight hundred thousand. Though I would like a larger margin of safety then that."

"Wow. Would you mind if I examined your calculations?"

"I'd be a little worried if you didn't want to. Anyway, how did your work go last night?"

"I was thinking about the mstyic system that we would use to send out the energy. We both know that if we give our sisters magical items they'll probably degrade with time and making those that won't is very difficult. Why don't we give them shapers instead though? That way they won't be harmed by our sisters using them."

"How do you intend to do that?"

"I don't have it all worked out but here. You read what I've got written out and I'll read yours." As he spoke Joseph handed Dan his calculations so far.

"Sure thing. So Joseph how long do you believe we'll be working on this?"

"Until it's finished probably. One thing I have to wonder about though. If Nathan wanted us to keep quiet about this why did he take us out of the room using such a public method?"

"It was to let the others know we are working on something important."

"Doesn't that go against secrecy?"

"Perhaps it would back in the societies we come from. Here it's a great way of saying leave these two alone so they can focus. We'll probably be pestered for information but we have to keep quiet about that one."

***********************************************************************************

Alex couldn't get his stomach to settle despite long since emptying it. Currently he was leaned over a large cluster of stone heaving while a group of kobolds looked on. They were shamans of the spirit who'd brought him here.

"Human hurry up. The master has more work to be done."

"My body is exhausted. I don't know how much more of this I can take."

"Human will hurry up or human will suffer." Nidon gave a low growl as he looked at the human mage. The kobold shaman would be considered one of the spirits greater successes. For the past few weeks they'd been working on making the human more receptive to their master while he worked. He felt they'd done a good job but the human was complicating things.

"Haven't I done enough so far? Thirty seven of your kind have already been lost today in pursuit of your masters goal."

"Numbers not important! They replaced soon."

"Damn it well if there losses don't matter to you then at least let me rest. I haven't been able to keep any food down since this all started and my body is being pushed too hard."

"Making excuses!" Nidon gave another low growl then turned to the other kobolds. "We begin now."

"What? No! Not yet!"

Despite Alex's words the shamans began to chant. The ritual was one to open up the target's body to the habitation of some form of spirit. Alex already had a contract with their master which allowed habitation but this brought it to a new level. It allowed their master to more easily share knowledge and to more easily make use of Alex's. It did produce a slightly greater strain on the hosts body but Alex was holding up well enough for Nidon. "Eat after master is with you then food stay down."

There was an attempt on Alex's part to speak but before his lips could open he felt something slam into him. His entire body was made to shiver then locked up seconds later as he felt his vision growing darker. It didn't fade away though rather the world seemed to become veiled.

"Master are you ready now?"

"Yes. How are the most recent children."

"All dead master. Each lived longer then the last though."

"Good then we're making progress. I'll resume my work."

"Human was complaining about starving."

"I see. Then bring me something to eat while I work. Something that the human would need."

"Wait master. Was a mistake. One child did not die from birth. It is strange to us though seemed dead at first then moved."

"This child doesn't exist in the humans memory."

"He left after eggs stopped hatching."

"Yes. Nidon then what about the child?"

"We examined child when born. Tested it. Child died during the testing but was much stronger then previous ones. Took far more force to fracture skull."

"That is good news indeed."

***********************************************************************************

"Desmon I hope you didn't mind the wait too much. I realize it was rather long."

"I didn't mind the wait. I had good company and it gave me a chance to catch up with Pera. So Mirin do you have any specific questions or would you just like me to start telling you what I know?"

"Well I do have a few exact questions. Desmon we believe we're dealing with a spirit of nature that has fallen out of sink with the other spirits and probably has no desire to return to it. Furthermore we believe we're dealing with a spirit of decay. Can you confirm this?"

"All indicators I can find says it's a natural spirit yes but you'd be wrong to say it was a spirit of decay. Rather I believe it's a combination."

"You mean more then one spirit is working against us?"

"Once again yes and no. I'm talking about their leader right now though and what I mean is I believe the spirit that leads them is a mixture of several different types of spirits. I believe you have some knowledge of such beings."

"Yes but such spirits are generally reviled are they not?"

"Oh they are. There is no doubt about that."

"So what combination do you believe we're dealing with?"

"It behaves like a spirit of decay and it's chosen the kobolds to be its pathogen which will decay this entire forest. That said from what I've seen of its power I believe it was a spirit of decay that consumed a spirit of disease and probably a spirit of death. However, instead of harmonizing the two other spirits warped the first into what we're dealing with at this moment."

"So do you have any ideal of how to deal with such a spirit?"

"By deal with I'm assuming you mean get rid of. Well the most obvious thing to do would be to find the spirits true name. However, so far I haven't found any spirits that could provide that information. I could try summoning the spirit even without its name but I doubt that would be successful. It's unlikely that the spirit would answer such a call from those it knows as enemies. Your best bet is to enter the spirit realm and hunt for it."

"Our sisters are objecting quite strongly to that ideal."

"That figures. Well I could enter the spirit realm and search for it but it's not something I wish to do alone."

"Well then it's fortunate that we don't give up just because our sisters object. We've been in preparations to delve into the spirit realm and glimpsing into it as best we're able. I was wondering would you be willing to join us? Your knowledge as a druid may give us a new insight in that place and a better chance of finding what we're looking for."

"Normally I prefer to go with other druids but let's here about these preparations you've been making."

"We've already been warding a room to provide a sort of door and some protection as well as prepared a few potions. There will also be some brothers protecting us from there."

"That sounds good but are you sure you want to do this? Even if you enter the spirit realm physically the who you are there and the who you are here isn't always the same. There will be things revealed that perhaps you want to keep hidden. So I want your word that should this reveal any knowledge regardless of what it is I will retain my freedom."

Mirin couldn't help but lock up as he listened to Desmon and realized the truth of the situation. To Mirin's knowledge Desmon didn't realize that there were no bestial version of the brothers. There was no doubt that he would suspect as much but even he hadn't been to certain locations and only had certain information. "I'll have to go and talk it over with the others."

"Let me know what you decide. However, in a war I wouldn't recommend keeping too many secrets from those who would aid you."

***********************************************************************************

"You want me to use this?" Mina couldn't help but feel awkward as she looked down at the ax before her. The weapon was clearly meant to either be used as a two handed weapon or be used by one very large being. The axes head was so large it would have looked humerus in a human's hands considering it was nearly as wide as a human was. When compared to Mina though the weapon looked to be little more then a standard if very well made war ax.

"Indeed we do Mina. It was decided we need to increase our combat abilities so we're arming certain sisters."

A sigh escaped Mina as she reached down and picked up the ax. The weapon had some actual weight to it that its size wouldn't have indicated though it still seemed light. "Shouldn't you be giving this to another sister then Mirin? I mean do I really need a weapon considering how powerful my body is?"

"Well it's due to that powerful body you were chosen to carry this weapon. Mina we can't really afford to lose this blade so we can't exactly give it to a sister which we fear may fall. However, we can't just have it laying around doing nothing either. By giving the weapon to you we're protecting the blade as well as increasing our overall combative abilities."

"I thought you were giving out shapers and potions to do that though."

"We are but this goes beyond that. Please Mina, we need you to carry and use that weapon in battle. I know you're confident in your strength as are we all however this will enable you to do even more."

Instead of commenting right away Mina held the blade above her head before quickly swinging it down. She couldn't help but notice the sound the blade made as it cut through the air. "This is just very strange. So what all does this weapon do anyway?"

"Well first and foremost it's one of the few weapons we have that can endure being used by you. Secondly it should do a nice job of extending your reach and thirdly the blade does have some innate magic that awakens while being used in combat."

"Which is?"

"In the hands of a human the blade would serve to increase their strength, stamina and healing however we don't expect you to respond the same way. However, your body should still be able to make use of the energy the weapon yields permitting you to fight all the harder."

"I was kind of hoping for something that would let me kill more then a few kobolds at once. That was the real problem before."

"True however can we be certain that it'll be the real problem the next time? Mina do you really feel that out of place holding onto a weapon?"

A low groan escaped Mina as she gave her head a shake. "Yeah. I mean. It feels like I'm saying that I'm not confident enough in my body to rely upon it. It's kind of embarrassing."

"So you'd rather protect your pride them do a better job of protecting your sisters, brothers, mate and unborn child?"

"No! Of course not! How could you even ask me such a thing!" As Mina spoke she spun around to Face Mirin. She didn't realize it at the moment but her body had actually tensed up after hearing what he'd said.

"Then why are you so reluctant to take up a weapon?"

Instead of responding right away Mina took another moment to look at the ax. "Fine. I'll make sure that it's put to good use. Why did you take so long to get a weapon to me though if you wanted me to use one?"

"In truth? We had to figure out which weapons you're least likely to break. We're fairly certain that even you can't break that ax though. At least as long as you're not intentionally trying to break it."

"So are any other sisters getting weapons like these?"

"We're planning to give one to Maria though we haven't been able to pick the one that most complements her abilities. The two of you have some of the most powerful mutations we've seen in a very long time after all."

***********************************************************************************

Allen felt a little awkward as he carefully read the volume level on the beaker for the third time. After this last reading he picked it up and emptied the powder into an even larger container making it a point to add the powder to the fluid slowly. As the two were added he noted bubbles forming as the liquid began to turn clear. "Niton I believe that this batch is done."

"Already?" As the alchemist looked up from his own work he had a smile upon his face. He had at first been rather worried by the prospect of having such a young brother helping him but Allen had done well so far. The two of them were currently working on preparing the bases for what would in time become a frost bomb, fire bomb or an energy retainer.

"Haha very funny. I know I'm going slow I just want to make sure I get it right."

"Hm." As Niton walked over to Allen he only needed a moment of examination to see that the solution had been mixed properly. "Speed comes with practice." With those words Niton picked up the container and sealed it before placing it on a large rack that would later be retrieved. "I do believe this is your last batch of the day though."

"Yeah Pera should be coming buy to get me soon. I'm thinking she's going to take me to meet her father."

"Are you excited about that?"

"I don't know. I mean he's Pera's dad so I want to know him but then again he isn't a brother either."

"From what I hear you did quite well with the orcs. I'm certain that you'll be fine."

"The orcs weren't the father of my girlfriend though. I've got two reasons to be nervous this time."

***********************************************************************************

"So did things go well with Mirin?"

"We talked for a while and he asked for my help. I asked for something in return and he needed time to think about it."

Phinila gave a slight nod and while she considered asking Desmon for what he'd asked for she chose not to. If it concerned her or Pera she would be informed. "Well I hope the request wasn't too demanding."

"They want help with something which might involve some information you all don't want to share. I just worked to insure my safety and freedom is all."

"Ah!"

Upon hearing the sharp rise in Phinila's tone Desmon quickly retracted his hand. "What?"

"Don't you go start picking at that duck. I went through a lot of trouble to cook it just right and you're going to wait for our daughter and her boyfriend to get here before you start snacking."

A low groan escaped Desmon as he gave a nod. "I swear I believe I prefer eating with the wolves. That way I tend to get to eat first or very soon."

A slight giggle escaped Phinila as she looked at Desmon. "I don't know if you'd want to try that here. I mean you'd end up having to wait for me to finish then there would be our daughter. Of course after that technically you should get to eat but I highly doubt Pera would be happy with her cuddle bug being made to eat last."

"No. I suppose that she wouldn't. Setting in this chair feels very awkward by the way." As he spoke Desmon glanced over the side of the chair and at his feet which were dangling in the air.

"Yeah. I'm going to have to look into getting some taller ones made. Then again I suppose I wouldn't have to. I just need to find a keeper who is getting some new furniture made to fit her scale and then take her old stuff."

"I swear. How do the humans that choose to live amongst you get by? Especially those who are the maters of a keeper."

"Typically there is always a few specially made chairs for our brothers. Like the way the one you're setting in was set up to make it easy for you to climb into. Though it's rare that a mate has to make use of such a chair or is really allowed to make use of a chair."

"Now why is that exactly?"

"Well typically I've found my sisters prefer to hold their mate at the dining table. At least whenever they're dining at their homes."

"Oh interesting. I've only seen your dining habits at your dining hall. So with the increased size is that building going to have to be redesigned?"

"It doesn't have to be just yet. I believe that it will be though to prepared for the future. I'm thinking that we're going to start digging down though rather then building the structure up. We really don't want to make the village stick out too much after all."

"That makes sense. So has Pera started holding Allen whenever they eat?"

"Hm I don't actually know. Oh wouldn't it be sweet if she held him today?"

"Yeah but let's not let them hear us talking about this."

"Nat!" With time Phinila spun around to face Desmon. "I swear if you try to snack one more time I'm going to make you wait in the setting room."

"Yes Mam."

***********************************************************************************

"Mom, Dad I'm back and I've got Allen with me." As she spoke Pera made no move to set Allen down but continued to pack him towards the dining room. This wasn't an actual conscious thought but rather what felt natural to her even as she entered the kitchen and found her parents waiting for them.

"Welcome home Pera. Allen it's nice to have you over."

"Thanks miss Phinila."

Pera more skipped then walked over to Desmon even as she continued to pack Allen. "Allen this is my father Desmon." It was only at this point that Pera bothered lowering Allen to the ground though she continued to stand by his side.

"Pleased to meet you Desmon. Pera's told me a bit about you. It must seem strange living in a home after spending so much time out in the forest."

"It's nice to meet you as well Allen. The building isn't so bad but I swear staying in human form is kind of rough after spending several months as a bear. You sort of get used to the fur coat."

"Well don't just stand there Allen." Instead of waiting for Allen to respond Pera picked him up and made her way over to the side of the table opposite her father. Instead of pulling out a chair for herself and Allen though she only pulled one out for herself and quickly deposited Allen atop her massive right leg.

For a moment Allen didn't know what to say. Suddenly he felt very much like he was with his mother as Pera placed two plates before them. One was clearly meant for him though he didn't know which as Pera began to place various bits of food on either of them. While she was doing this though she actually began to bounce her leg slightly. "Um Pera?"

"Yes Allen?"

"Could I at least pick what goes on my own plate?"

There was no immediate response from Pera though she felt her cheeks warming up. "Oh Allen I'm so sorry I don't know what I was thinking. Here."

"You don't need to get me my own seat I mean this is fine. I just want to pick my own food at least."

"Sure and sorry about that."

A sigh escaped Allen as he stood up and began to gather his own meal. Instead of just working in silence he looked at Desmon. "So how have things been in the forest as of late?"

"They've been rougher then normal. So Allen is this the first time Pera had tried to feed you?"

"Well it isn't the first time but it's the first time in a long time."

"I didn't mean to. It's just you looked so cute setting on my leg and I have a pretty good ideal of what you like to eat and it's easier for me to get it for you and." Pera couldn't help but grin as she looked down at Allen. "I know I'm being a bit too pushy aren't I?"

"Oh just a little."

"It's a good thing the two of you have been friends for so long. Anyway, Allen Pera tells me that you're helping the elder brothers prepare for the next attack. What are you up to exactly?"

"I'm helping to prepare the base solution that will either be turned into a frost or fire bomb. It's not dangerous in that state so long as you don't do something silly."

"Something silly?"

"Well if you drank it the solution would react with your insides and probably blow you to bits."

"Ah I see. The last I remembered your mother was quite the protective type though. How did you convince her to let you do that?"

"Um she knows the brother that I'm working with and trusts him a lot. She actually asked for me to be allowed to help him."

"After you asked her to let you help?"

"Yeah. After seeing Pera fighting on the beach I couldn't just set around and do nothing."

"That must have been something else. Were you scared?"

"Yeah, it was pretty frightening even whenever I was in the middle of the circle. I was able to use a bow and arrow to help fight though so that made me feel better. At least while I was shooting arrows I felt like I was doing something."

"I swear Pera are you worried that something is going to swoop down from above and carry Allen away?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"You've got your tail coiled around around him like a snake and you don't seem to have any intention of letting him out of your lap."

"Ah whoops. My tail can have a mind of its own at times."

Before Pera could begin to unravel her tail from him Allen placed his hand on it. "It's alright Pera I don't mind. Just don't go trying to feed me. I get plenty of that with my mother."

Before commenting Pera quickly leaned down and placed a kiss atop Allen's head before setting up. "I promise Allen that I'll stop trying to feed me whenever you remind me. I can't promise that I won't ever try again."

A sigh escaped Allen as he shook his head. "I swear at times I feel like I'll always be a child in my moms eyes and yours."

"Humph. So says one of the people that will be deciding how much we're allowed to eat for us in the future."

"Hey that's"

"What? For our own good?"

"Ah well. Okay you have a point."

Once again Pera was made to giggle and then she turned her gaze towards her father. "So dad how long do you plan on staying here?"

"I'm thinking I'll be here for a while. Mirin seemed intent on securing a druid's aid for a long time. I don't know if I'm going to be staying in your mother's home though."

"Where do you plan on staying though?"

"I was thinking I would stay local but return to my bear form. I want to continue my studies after all."

"Dad this close to the village you're liable to get eaten!"

"Now Pera don't think I plan on walking around with nothing to protect me. I plan on having this mark on my back." As he spoke Desmon held up a bit cloth. On the cloth there was a clawed hand but it was turned in the direction opposite of what brothers use to show rank. Pera recognized it immediately as an indicator that this person, animal or object wasn't to be harmed.

"So that will show up on your fur then?"

Before Desmon could speak up Phinila chose to "That's good but I'd suggest you make it as visible as possible. That mark won't do you any good if your head has already been torn off."

"Yeah I know. Mirin also encouraged me to either stay far away from the village or to stay within its confines do you know what that is about?"

Now Phinila spoke up. "He's probably worried that the distrusted will try something. I wouldn't put it past them to try to kill you then claim that it had been on accident and they hadn't noticed the symbol."

For a moment Desmon said nothing but looked at Allen. "Hey Allen I've heard about these distrusted but I've never seen one. How about you?"

"I've seen them before but not for long. They don't tend to stay around the village much and well my mom made it very clear to me at an early age that I should stay away from them. I think they stayed particularly far away from me because of my mom though."

"Are you sure it was just your mother's doing?"

"Huh?"

Desmon couldn't help but grin as he looked at Pera. "Well you have a few friends amongst the sisters don't you."

"Hey dad! Don't go talking like that."

"Oh so you wouldn't chase off a distrusted if you saw her looking at Allen."

"I'd kick her tail even if I had to get the others to help me if I caught one of them getting close to Allen!" Pera couldn't help herself as she suddenly set up strait while pulling Allen against her stomach.

Desmon couldn't help but chuckle as he gave a nod. "I swear I've seen mother bears that are less protective then you bunch. So Allen what do you think of that?"

"I well. I really don't mind. I mean it's not like I want to have anything to do with them especially after what I've been told about most distrusted. I guess that's judging them before I've met them but if Pera feels that strongly I should probably stay away from them. At times I wonder why they're allowed to stay though."

Phinila gave a sigh as she spoke up. "Pera a distrusted wouldn't hurt Allen as she would know what would happen if she did."

"I still don't want any of them near him. Besides how do you know she wouldn't decide to try something?"

Phinila couldn't help but grin as she gave her head a shake. "So Allen have you heard anything about changes to what's being made? Apparently there is a group of brothers pushing to have shapers made."

"I've heard a bit about it but it won't really affect me. The potions I'm working on would also be used to make the potions which would contain the mystic energy."

Desmon waited a moment for the conversation to slow down to speak up. "So Allen is that what you plan to do your entire life? Work as an alchemist?"

"I hope so. It's tough at times and there have been moments when I wondered if I should be doing something else but it's a well respected occupation for a brother and it lets me help my sisters. Though there have been times when I've considered studying to be a mage as well. Hey Desmon what do you do whenever nothing is upsetting the forest and you're living as a bear?"

"Well naturally I live as a bear. When there is plenty of food and nothing is happening to upset the natural world I tend to do a lot of sleeping. Every now and then I'll take it upon myself to try to improve the environment a bit as well."

"Doesn't that get boring at times though?"

"It can but that's a sign that I'm not being a very good bear. You see Allen the key is to live as a bear which often means repressing the human mind as much as possible. As a being with the body of a bear as well as instincts but the intelligence of a human I can solve many problems. However, that's not truly being a bear. It isn't enough to avoid using human methods though I have to keep myself from even thinking about them."

"That must be difficult."

"It can be. Well it's sort of like whenever I got my leg opened up. I was fishing where I shouldn't have been and my human mind knew that but I had to keep the knowledge away. Now you could say my animal side knows it very well now as well."

"Did you use any of your druidic abilities to survive the wound?"

"Well. I did actually hasten the healing and work to insure that it wouldn't become infected." Desmon was made to grin as he looked at his plate. "No matter how hard I'm trying to live as a bear I'm not quite ready to allow myself to die or lose a limb over something like that."

"Do druids every try to mix different animals?"

"Oh no. No. No. You see Allen whenever we alter our shape we're in part channeling the nature or even spirit of a bear. If we were to try to mix them we would have to find such a spirit to channel and honestly I wouldn't want to try channeling the nature of such an unnatural creature."

"I've read about druids taking on unnatural forms though. Bears so large that they simply don't exist in natures and wolves as well."

"Well Allen that's what we strive for. You see when he take on the form of a bear our ultimate goal is not what you see in the natural world. Rather it's the idealized form of the creature. You're talking about druids who have gained the ability to take on a form extremely close to that."

"Oh I think I understand. What about a dragon then?"

"You mean can we change into a dragon?"

"Yeah they're natural creatures."

"Ah well I've never met a druid who could change into a dragon. You see Allen dragons have a very notable mystic aspect to their nature. That's not something a druid can simply copy or really learn. I suppose that perhaps one who was both mage and druid could hope to one day take on such a form but I sure wouldn't hold high hopes for it."

"So what do you do whenever you reach that state? When you can take on the idealized form of whatever animal you're changing into?"

Desmon couldn't help but grin as he took a moment to look at his plate. "That's like asking what do you do whenever you manage to cure your sisters of their hunger."

"I see. So it isn't something you really think about."

"Yeah though I suppose that should I ever gain the ability to truly change into a bears idealized form I'll begin working on another then another. Until I can comprehend and represent natures full power."

"So you learn to do all this to protect the natural world?"

"Well yes. They're quite a few who devote their entire lives to destroying the natural world after all. So there needs to be some who devote themselves to protecting it."

"We protected this forest though."

"Yes but do you always protect the natural world? There is a difference between protecting land and a status quo and protecting the natural world. Some druids don't even feel that this forest is truly natural and have sought to undo it."

"What do they want to do to it?"

"They want to change it to how it was before the Luvarians came here and altered the land."

"You don't though?"

"Ah well even amongst druids there are different ideals as to what protecting the natural world means. Some of them see any artificial changes as unnatural and believe the land should be returned to that state. Others believe that as long as the environment is stable and healthy then it's in its natural state now."

"So you consider the forest stable and healthy?"

"No."

"Huh?"

"The kobolds have got to go. They're other elements in this forest that you maintain which need to be removed as well but those kobolds are first on the list. If they had their way with this forest they would turn the entire thing into a nesting area with only those areas housing creatures fearsome enough to protect them surviving. In this respect I consider the old Luvarians fools for even bringing those creatures into this forest and especially because they gave them a haven."

"They had a use for them though."

"That's not the point here though. The point is that they're bad for the natural environment. At least in this situation they are."

"Wouldn't letting the kobolds take over be letting nature take the path it desired though?"

"I don't believe so but then again I don't consider those creatures part of the natural order."

"Oh so you don't believe they are natural animals?"

"I do not and I know few druids who do. I actually believe that those druids who have said as such were more trying to get on others nerves then speaking seriously."

"What makes you believe that they're not part of the natural world?"

"In all the natural world as I know it I've never encountered any animal with such a single minded desire to destroy. The only being I know of that comes close would be other humanoids especially other humans."

"Huh? Humans just don't want to destroy though."

"Oh I agree with you but some do. I would say that I've seen humans who are far worse then kobolds whenever it comes to their capacity for destruction and corruption. However, I've never seen another species with such a high average as the kobolds. Even orcs and ogres aren't as destructive as they are. I don't even believe goblins are."

Phinila had been quiet up until now but chose to speak up. "You know we've tried to kill the kobolds off several times before. We've put some real effort into it as well. They're just not that easy to be rid of. I just don't understand it either. No matter how careful we are to make sure that we kill every last one of them there always seem to be more of them later on. Even with Fera's eyes guiding us and our brothers knowledge it seems like we never can find them all."

"Oh I know of those efforts. The death spirits still remember those happenings quite fondly."

Pera couldn't help but set up as she looked at her father. "Are you serious?"

"Yes I am. Whenever you kill that many living creatures in a single day the death spirits in the location tend to remember it quite well. As do the spirits of life. I'm not denouncing what you attempted though I just wish that it would have succeeded."

"Hey dad I've been wanting to ask. Okay when we killed a bunch of kobolds the death spirits in the area get stronger. Now death spirits seek to cause more death however generally after such slaughters life does really well in the area. I guess it's due to all the bodies providing food for the plants or scavengers. Shouldn't the death spirits be working to negate that?"

"Ah but Pera you're thinking of the death spirits as stationary. Generally after such events they move to another area and wait for the old one to recover. Now if the death spirits where to stay around and remain active then that would be a problem. You also have to keep in mind the type of death spirit you're dealing with that. "

"Could you give me an example?"

"Death spirits tend to stay around areas which predators frequent quite heavily. However, life continues to do well in that region. This is because these death spirits tend to be tied to a certain form of prey or a certain animal. While the spirits of life that frequent the region are of a different nature."

"So a death spirit that was bound to a pack of wolves or traveled with them wouldn't feel the need to go after a spirit of life that was tied to plants?"

"For the most part that's correct."

"What kind of death spirits do we encourage?"

"Now Pera are you sure you want me to answer that question? You might not like the answer."

"I'd like to know."

"Death is a naturall happening Pera. However, when a death spirits feeds on a level of death that's unnatural or unsustainable the spirit can be altered. These spirits actively encourage death far more then what one may consider normal. Whenever you do something like kill off a few thousand kobolds it's impossible for a few of these spirits not to come about. As long as these practices don't happen too often though then these warped spirits of death remain low in number and in time may return to what their natural state was. That or be consumed by spirits of life or other death spirits."

"Um spirits of life can consume spirits of death and do we ever help those?"

"Yes Pera on both accounts. While you and your sisters may cause a good deal of death you also sustain a very healthy forest. This helps the spirits of life and yes they will feed upon spirits of death."

***********************************************************************************

"Desmon thanks for coming."

"It's no trouble Mirin. So did you consider our agreement?"

"I have and so have others. It had been decided that your terms are acceptable. Any knowledge you gain on the spiritual plain that is not acquired intentionally will be considered safe. However, it is also required that you keep all knowledge pertaining to our sisters and to us a secret. At least the knowledge you gain during our work on the spiritual plain."

"What do you mean gain intentionally?"

"You're not to attempt to force the knowledge from us or go looking behind closed doors. Is that alright?"

"Hm yeah I can agree with that."

"Alright then. We plan on beginning our expedition into the spiritual plain come night fall. If you'd like you can take this day to."

"No. No. No."

"What do you mean no Desmon?"

"We are most assuredly not beginning our search during night fall. Mirin even the spiritual realm is affected by the passing of the day. If we're going to do this then we need to begin working in the morning. Then once you all have some experience there we can start looking into other times."

"Some of us do have experience. All of us who intend to go with you."

"Not happening. If I'm going along then this begins in the mornings."

A sigh escaped Mirin as he gave his head a shake. "You realize that we need your aid and you're going to use that to push the issue aren't you?"

"You had better believe it."

"Very well then. Next morning we will begin the search. You have the day and the night to make sure you've done what you wanted to do."

"Now that's better. I guess I'll be telling Phinila and Pera that I'm going to be helping their brothers look into something on the spiritual plain. Then they'll probably want to know who all is going with me and if I where to tell them it was some of their brothers they'd probably be up in arms."

"What makes you believe that?"

"We'll be going somewhere that they can't protect you. I've seen how they act and I know that's going to be very hard to accept for them. That said I doubt they'd want me to go alone. So who should I say is going with me?"

"Please just tell them that the brothers will be aiding you. As long as they believe we'll be remaining in the physical world and aiding you through spells everything should be fine."

"Alright then. If they push the issue though? I have no intention of telling an out right lie."

"I understand that one is your daughter after all and the other a close friend. If they should push the issue them tell them that you can't tell them everything that will be going on. Let them know it is important though."

End chapter 4

Chapter 23 by happiest_in_shadows

As Desmon looked around he took in a deep breath. Stone walls surrounded them but they were darker then what they had been moments earlier. Vines reached up from the stone floor and weaved in and amongst the walls then through the windows as if they had been there all the time. There was a massive opening in one wall as if it had been torn away though he knew in the physical world that wall was solid. This world was the world of shadows and it was shaped both by thoughts, what was real and those who lived there. Four others stood with him including Mirin.

“It feels as if there is a powerful spirit here.”

“There is Mirin it's a spirit of nature and it's reached into this fortress but don't worry. She doesn't mean any of us harm.” As he spoke Mirin glanced towards the opening and noticed some vines beginning to grow where the wall had been torn away. “That doesn't mean we can simply stand around though.”

“Is she preparing to drive us out?”

“No. I think she's preparing to keep us here and we need to get moving.” As he spoke Desmon released a slight wave of energy causing the vines to move and open up. He then began to make his way towards the opening. “It'll be best if we climb down.”

To this Mirin gave a nod and began to follow behind Desmon. As he moved though the thought that there was a spirit of nature inside the old fortress was quite strange to him. He had never noticed the spirits presence before hand. “Desmon could you tell me a bit more about this spirit?”

“I believe it's a spirit of nature from what I can feel and she doesn't mean us any harm. I think she's just been influence by the energies your sisters radiate as well as the forest. So she's got a strong impulse to protect.”

“Why haven't I felt her before though? I've looked into the spirit realm before. Is she new?”

“Probably not. I get the feeling that she's been here longer then any of us have been. She feels older then the forest itself. If I had to make a guess she was invited into the fortress and granted permission to take roots here as well as fed to help the fortress last.”

“That is a strange thought. A spirit of nature protecting a man made structure and helping it to endure.”

“It's not so strange if you think about how this entire forest could be considered man made. She probably also serves to help keep out more destructive spirits.” As he spoke Desmon gave his wrist a quick jerk and freed it from a vine that began to wrap around it. This time he didn't address Mirin. “Don't worry we don't plan on going out into the forest and dieing.”

“Desmon who are you talking to?”

“I'm just trying to get the lady here to relax and not drag us back inside. I'm getting the feeling she has the power to do so but is uncertain.”

As Mirin's feet touched the ground he looked back at the fortress. He knew that spirits could be influenced by the emotions they fed upon. This meant that any spirit residing inside the fortress would have been feeding on their sister's emotions and strong protective instinct. “Well what way should we go first?”

“We're going to head towards the kobolds old nesting area first. Keep in mind while we're here that this isn't the forest you truly live in. They are things here which don't exist in the physical world or at least they shouldn't. Some of them are less dangerous then you are used to and some are more so. Do not assume you recognize anything.”

To this Mirin gave a nod and began to walk towards Desmon as he moved though he couldn't help but glance back as the feeling that he was being watched grew more intense. He was quite surprised whenever he noticed a set of feline eyes watching him from the darkness. The eyes where too big though and too high up to be the eyes of a simple cat. “Desmon what is that?”

Desmon wasted no time turning around and looking to see what Mirin was talking about. He relaxed a little bit whenever he noticed the figure watching them from the a distance. “Don't worry she's not here to harm us she just wants to watch.”

“Do you know what it is?”

“Something that we don't need to think about for the moment. Now come on.”

After a moment more Mirin gave a nod and began to follow behind Desmon. As he looked around he couldn't help but be surprised by how tall the trees seemed to be. They were massive in the physical world but here in their shadow they seemed to reach high enough to touch the clouds. It was an odd moment as they moved away from the citadel. He was quite surprised though whenever he noted a doorway built into one of the trees. The door was large enough for a sister of keeper status and they were windows but they had never built into one of the trees. It was an odd moment. “Can you explain that?”

“I believe that's a side affect of how the rest of the world thinks of this forest. The notion of homes and buildings inside this place would seem impossible to those outside of the forest and that affects this shadow world. However, their ideal of a constant flow of trees is false and the physical world and shadow world mesh what is true and what is ideal here. Thus your homes do exist here to an extent but they're affected.”

“They are too few homes though.”

“Indeed. Your memories shape this place as well though. The homes which have stood the longest are the most resistance to the outside worlds influence and exist here in the most completed state. That citadel of yours is something of an exception though. The very forest remembers that place and thus it stands as the most complete structure of them all within the shadow representation housing some plant life but not truly over taken by it. Mirin did you say that you and your brothers had been here before?”

“We have looked into the shadow world but our trips have always been very limited and very well secure. The areas we journeyed into were already secured from the physical world before we entered the shadow.”

“I understand..”

As another question came to Mirin he was rather surprised to see another set of feline eyes watching them. This time though there was another. Whether it was the same eyes from before or not he didn't know but there clearly was another set. “Should I be worried that someone seems to be gathering friends?”

“From those spirits? No. You don't need to be worried about them so long as you don't attack them.”

“What are they exactly?”

“Oh. They're spirits of nurturing and protection that have moved into this region mixed in with a strong desire to eat.”

“Okay I was comfortable with what you were saying up until that last part.”

A slight chuckle escaped Desmon as he glanced back at Mirin. “The ones here have been heavily influenced by the feelings of your sisters they've fed upon so they're not dangerous. They're just watching us to make sure that we're safe. Once we get further into the forest that's when the frightening ones begin to make their presence known especially near the edge of the forests. You see that's where those spirits who have been influenced by peoples fear and ideals of your sisters like to dwell. The are truly frightening beast indeed.”

“I see. Do you believe we could speak with those spirits and see if they know anything?”

“I would not do that. You see they're not malevolent spirits but they are quite powerful and they are kind of hard to predict. I don't believe they'd do anything to harm us but they could still be quite a hindrance.”

“Very well.”

While up until this point Mirin had been asking Desmon as Desmon looked around he couldn't help but notice something in their path. “Mirin do you see that blackened land?”

“Huh? We'll I'll be. Yeah I wonder what happened there.”

“Okay just making sure I'm not seeing things. That is not a good sign. You might want to have your sisters check this place out once we return to the physical world and insure that nothing is there. You may even want to burn that area of land. You see that part of the shadow forest has somehow been killed.”

“That's easier said then done. I know that none of the houses were this close to the fortress.”

“That's true. Alright, I'll place a marker here. We should be able to find it even in the physical world.”

***************************************************************************************************

Sora took in a deep breath as she stood outside the citadel. For a moment she couldn't resist glancing inside where Mirin and the others had vanished into the shadow world. It made her wonder how many of her sisters she could take on even with her mutation. If they found out what had happened and that it had been kept from them they would be quite upset. After all it had been agreed that the brothers would only look into the spirit shadow world not actually enter into it. Yet here they were going into it to explore. It made her worry as well and she wished that she could follow them into the spirit realm. A sigh escaped her at last and she straitened up and began to walk away from the citadel.

They were no bodies inside of it for her to protect at the moment. They were truly inside the shadow world. Where might they be at the moment? The thought passed through her mind and she found herself looking around hoping to see some sign of their passing. Naturally none came and she wondered if there was any that would be able to see them. Immediately Sora's mind turned to Fera and she felt a wave of concern building up inside of her. Fera hadn't been told what was going to happen and to say she would be angry if she saw them and realized the truth would have been an understatement. Suddenly Sora found her legs moving as she dashed towards Fera's last known location. Hopefully she would still be inside of her room.

***************************************************************************************************

Housing for matrons was tricky business. Their sizes was much greater then that of the other sisters even the keepers after all. Fortunately they were given something of a break thanks to the Luvarians having previously allowed the sisters to grow much larger then their current sizes. Even then there had been some sisters which were allowed to grow much larger then many of the others and there had been special housing built for them. This took on the form of large underground structure which were a bit awkward to get into.

The main entrance was actually situated so that it appeared in the side of a large basin in order to help hide it. Water would have filled it long ago but the basin itself held some rather interesting plants which never seemed to have enough of it. Sora wasn't certain where the planets were from or if they truly existed in nature but they were always thirsty and remarkable durable. The matrons actually had to cut away the plants quite often to keep them from blocking the entrance. From the main entrance the path soon formed into three tunnels which branched off in a northern western and eastern direction. Each one of these tunnels led to different rooms each room having apparently been design to house a different size of matron. Sora would have actually lived in one of the rooms closer to the entrance which was clearly meant for the smaller matrons while Fera would have been somewhere in the middle. Only the sleepers were large enough to take up the rooms in the furthest back though.

“Sora what brings you here?”

“Um hey Fera. I've come to talk to you.”

“I swear you're so lucky.”

“Huh?”

“You get to walk in here standing up strait I have to crouch the entire time and if I get delayed it can leave some real pain in my neck. I swear you'd think the Luvarians could have made these structures more comfortable.”

A grin formed on Sora's face as an old topic was brought up. “I believe they did really. Look at the roof after all. It's clear that those are magic glyphs of come kind. Perhaps they were meant to open up and let us climb out. It would explain why the rooms are set up the way they are and it would be easy for us to leap out.”

“Perhaps you're right. What happened to the opening system though? Surely they didn't mean to have a mage here every time to open it for us.”

“Perhaps the system was lost whenever our primary energy source was or perhaps it was lost during the actual conflict. There isn't much point in trying to repair them though right now.”

“That's true. Now you said you'd come to talk to me.” As she spoke Fera set up and scooted closer to Sora. Fortunately in her room she didn't need to crouch down so she was able to move comfortably. She could tell Sora was nervous though from the way her energy was forming in her skin. Sora was thinking of vanishing from sight.

“Fera I have to ask you to do something for me. If you notice any strange behavior in the energy around the forest please come to me before you speak to anyone else or speak to one of our higher ranked brothers. At least three claws.”

“Uhuh. The brothers did something stupid didn't they?”

“What?”

“Sora with a request like that it's obvious they did something that they don't want getting out and you were let in on the secret. Now you're worried that due to my eyes I might notice something that would give them away.”

“That is well.” A sigh escaped Sora as she looked up at Fera. “It's true.”

In response to Sora's comment Fera gave a slight chuckle and stood up to her full height. She didn't bother speaking as she walked over to her sister and placed a massive hand on Sora's shoulder. “Hey we're friends though. If you don't believe you can trust me with the information I'll keep quiet about it.”

Standing next to Fera was one of the few times Sora felt small. She felt certain that Fera could shatter her shoulder easily. “It's not that I don't trust you. It's just that I promised Mirin I wouldn't tell anyone what was going on.”

“Oh! Okay that's a bit different then. So he's the one that doesn't trust me.”

“Fera! You know it's easier to keep a secret when fewer people know about it.”

A slight chuckle escaped Fera and she gave a nod. “I know. I'm just giving you a hard time sense you get to be in the loop and I don't. Okay. I'll come talk to you about any strange sights or one of the brothers. It's not like our sisters would be able to help much anyway.”

Thank you.”

“So did you only come by to put in that request or was there something else?”

“That was my main reason but I don't have to be anywhere right now. What's on your mind?”

“We're at war right now aren't we?”

For a moment Sora was silent as she looked at Fera. It was an odd question. They both knew the answer and she doubted her friend was the type to shy away from such things. So such a question truly was strange. “I believe that we are. Our enemy is in hiding now but we don't know the amount of force they'll use to ambush us.”

Instead of responding right away Fera took a moment to set back down and pat a spot next to her. “Come on and have a seat please.”

As Sora walked towards her friend she couldn't help but think back to when they were each assigned their new sizes as matrons. Sora had actually accepted a smaller size then they offered in order to retain her ability to operate within certain areas. Fera had been granted a larger size though as stealth was anything but her strong point and in some ways she was seen as a weapon meant to seek and destroy. As she came to set next to Fera though Sora felt taller then her friend despite the fact that her head didn't even come up to Fera's shoulder. “You're really troubled by something aren't you?”

“I haven't seen any of my sisters die in a long time. At least not in numbers. You know the initial attack on the village?”

“Yes.”

“I saw some of them being murdered.”

“Fera those were distrusted. It's not like their loss truly influenced our strength.”

“I know. I know. Still, they might not have been distrusted and there was no way that I could get to them. You know these eyes of mine are a strength in many regards but at times they can be a real curse. I see situations. Situations I don't even bother mentioning to anyone else or trying to stop as there is nothing that I can do about them and nothing that can be done. Seeing those distrusted being killed. Even if they had been sisters I loved beyond my own life there would have been nothing that I could do. They were too far away and by the time I realized they were in trouble I couldn't reach them.”

“This sounds like it happens more often then just recently.”

“I can see when our brothers are going to die or I have an ideal of when. I can see their life energy weakening and they are times I can tell that it isn't just their bodies weakening. This goes for our sisters as well though. I can tell when they're about to give up their bodies to the flow of time and.”

“You tried to help them in the past didn't you?”

“Yeah but it's hard to restore someone's desire for life.” A sigh escaped Fera as she looked down at Sora. Sora's mutation had been built around stealth and in many ways her friend seemed to show stealth. Her fur was a light gray which blinded in nicely with the surrounding shadows and especially the night time. Her tail was a bit on the long side but slimmer then normal and often wrested peacefully across her lap while she was seated or strait behind her while she was running. When she moved it always seemed to remain in alignment with the rest of her body. She was slimmer then most sisters that was clear to Fera's eyes and her feet actually seemed a bit wider then normal.

“What are you looking at?”

“I was just thinking. You're really built for being sneaky aren't you?”

“Ookay I'm not sure where that came from but yeah.”

“It's just that well. I can see how Mina's body shows her mutation and even how Maria's shows hers. I just noticed how your body gives a hint at what your mutation is as well. I wonder if there is anything indicating my eyes.”

“Well I have to say you have a unique fur pattern around them. It honestly looks like a glyph I've seen some of our brothers draw.”

“I'll have to look into a mirror some later.”

“So are you done getting off subject? If so. I would like to know what has you so worried.”

“Some of our sisters are going to die and I won't be able to do anything about it but I will be able to see it happen. I saw Mina's mother dieing you know.”

“What?”

“Our life force in general is pretty strong so whenever it's being violently removed it's pretty clear even from great distances. I saw her life force leaving as she was overwhelmed though I didn't know who exactly it was until I got there. Her body was such a mess.” As Fera had been speaking she didn't even realize that tears had began to flow from her eyes and dampen her fur.

Fera was a front line warrior for her sisters. She would go out to confront enemies with notable life energy and often the situation would be taken care of. Sora and all the other sisters knew this. “Hey Fera.” As she spoke Sora placed a hand on her massive friend's upper arm. “You do all that you can you know and you do it well. You can't be everywhere at once though.”

“It still hurts though. Just knowing that I'm going to see things happening but I won't be able to stop them. It really hurts.” As she was speaking Fera didn't realize it but she'd actually reached down and picked Sora up. Despite being a matron Sora seemed as a child as she was held against Fera's massive frame.

Sora made no move to protest but continued to hug her friend. “It's been a long time since we had a true war hasn't it?”

“I don't know if I can make it through this one Sora. I don't know if I can endure seeing our sisters die like the last one.”

“Fera for every sister you can't save they are many more that you can and will. We need your strength and your eyes to help us through this time. You help us all see a little more clearly.”

A slight chuckle escaped Fera as she gave a nod. “These eyes of mine can be such a curse and blessing all in the same moment. It's sort of like our bodies. They're so powerful but so demanding all in the same moment.”

“We're getting better at meeting those demands though and I'm certain in time they'll just be a blessing. As they were meant to be.”

***************************************************************************************************

“I see Uthra. So could you give me any information on where the kobolds might have come from?”

“To the north, west, south, east everywhere. From beneath the ground and hidden in the trees converging in one path.”

As Desmon listened to the spirit he gave a nod. “I see. Then could you give me any ideal of where they were being guided from?”

At first Uthra said nothing but looked at the human. Uthra was one of the spirits of death that lived amongst the sisters feeding on the death they caused. At times he would follow a sister throughout the forest though this only went for certain sisters. He had learned which ones were worth leaving his domain for. This connection gave him more of an interest in the sisters then those spirits who'd only came to feed on the slaughter. “Their master wrest in the northwest.”

Uthra wasn't the spirits true name and Desmon knew this.  The spirit had only given him a name which he could be called by. “Thanks for for this information.” Even as he spoke Desmon gathered some of his own energy and formed into it a spear of light which he handed the spirit of death. The creature eagerly took the essence energy and began to drain it.

“Tainted death has began to fill the forest.”

As the words hit his ears Desmon was a bit surprised. He wasn't expecting the spirit to volunteer information suddenly.  “What do you mean?”

“My brothers and sisters have become agitated within the forest. There is death filling certain areas but the death carries with it a strangeness. The strangeness gets inside of them and they twist and begin to think differently. They move from their territory and turn against old allies.” As far as spirits went Uthra was in an odd position. He was a spirit of death but he was constantly surrounded by extremely powerful spirits of protection. Normally this would mean his existence would be cut short quickly but his presence was tolerated. He knew the spirits of protection in the area and he knew to how to avoid their interest or anger. He couldn't afford to become tainted like the others. It would mean his end.

“I see. So whatever is hiding amongst the kobolds is also influencing the spirits of death spread throughout the forest. What does this puppet master tell them to do?”

“They gather in an abundance such that life can't endure and they run out of food. Then they move on.”

“Is there anything else that you can tell us?”

“No. The protectors watch me. I can not leave. They would destroy me should I leave and return. The others though they whisper to me from a distance from where they can flee should they be seen. They tell me to come but I am not a fool.”
“Very well. We must be going then. “

***************************************************************************************************

Mirin had been a bit surprised as had the other brothers whenever Desmon began speaking with the spirit of death. As he finished though Mirin was glad he'd taken the risk. Now that there was some distance between them and the spirit though he had to speak up.“So do spirits of death normally talk like that? I imagined them as more the type to attack on sight.”

“They will if you look like easy prey. That spirit back there was a bit different though.”

“A result of the environment it's part of?”

“Indeed. So Mirin what do you think about what we were told?”

“I have to say I'm not happy at all to hear that whatever is going on here is influencing spirits of death.  How does one spirit corrupt another?”

“Pretty much the same way a virus corrupts a human's body. “

“Interesting and worrisome. I'm amazed by how little I truly know about this world now that I'm here. I suppose looking does  little good compared to actually being here though.”

“I would have to agree.”

“All the text I read though talk about how dangerous the spirit world could be though. Yet we've only seen a few threats. Would that be your doing?”

“Yeah I'm trying to lead us around the spirits that would attack us on a whim. The problem is those spirits that are currently following us from the shadows. In this forest they are powerful spirits of a predatory nature and we have to be careful of them. So long as we don't appear weak though they shouldn't make a move against us. Fortunately many of the spirits of this forest have been heavily influenced by the sisters.”

“Does that mean they recognize us?”

“Yes but don't think that means they have benevolent feelings towards” a sudden rush of air made Desmon go silent as his eyes turned up towards the sky. A massive black form flew above them it's wings and body actually blocking out the light for a moment. As the figure made no move to alter it's path though he risked breathing a sigh of relief.

“One of the things we have to be worried about I take it.”

“Yes. That was a dragon.”

“We'll have to talk about that later. I believe I see something that we can speak with?”

Desmon gave a grin and a nod as he began to move once again. He could already see what Mirin was talking about and he slowed down his pace. “Just be careful you may believe you know what she is but you might be quite mistaken here. Let's just be careful.” With those words Desmon continued to make his way towards what many would have mistaken for a young woman from a distance though that clearly wasn't the case from where they stood. Her hair seemed to be made from vines though of an extremely thin make and her eyes were a solid emerald green. Several petals wrapped around her body as well concealing certain parts of the spirit.

Vania had been quiet as the humans approached her but turned to look at them as they drew within her reach. Immediately she recognized Desmon as a druid while Mirin's energies and the other brothers were a bit different. The spirit had enough experience to know that they were magic users of a type. “Hello!”

As the spirits greeting met his ears Desmon couldn't help but notice the sing song tone of her voice. This did little to relax him as he continued towards her. “Greetings to you spirit. I hope you don't mind us interesting your territory but I was wondering if we might speak with one another.” 

“Your intrusion is not entirely unwelcome but I would know why you've done so.”

Instead of waiting for Desmon to comment Mirin stepped up and began to gather some of his mystic energy before him. There was no spell to be cast though instead he held his hand up in offering forming the energy as Desmon had done before. “We are currently investigating the spirits of the forest. It seems the natural order of things have been thrown off.”

There was no immediate comment from the spirit. Instead she held up her hand and a vine formed from her fingers reaching out towards Mirin to wrap around the bit of energy and bring it to her. “Ah yes. I know of the one you speak of. The greater ones have began to war with it and while their movements remain subdued they have been increasing. Even the one you know as night fang has spoken with me on this subject.”

“I see. Would you be willing to share information with us?”

“Not without a price.”

No immediate comment came from Mirin but instead he looked to Desmon. Desmon took the sign and spoke up. “What would the information cost?”

Now the spirit's smile was made to grow as she looked at the five humans before her. One druid and four mages. The mystic energy they could provide her would provide a meal indeed. She could sense power coming from them though especially Desmon and Mirin so that she did not wish a violent confrontation. “Druid why do you stay so far away from me?”

“I do not trust your nature.”

Vania couldn't help but grin now as some of the petals were made to move away from her body revealing both skin and fangs. Fangs that opened up to reveal mouths hidden beneath those petals. While a spirit of nature and plants Vania was a predatory plant who lured in its prey with beauty and the promise of fruit only to sink her fangs into them. “What would I like in exchange for the information I've gathered? What would be a fair price? I think I would like my  payment in blood.”

It was hard for Mirin to keep from recoiling as he looked at the spirit. Something told him that despite seeing her true nature he wasn't truly safe. Especially when he remembered how the vine had reached out to him. “We won't relinquish any of our lives.”

“Oh I don't require that much.  The blood of mages and druids though is quite tempting. Grants me a rabbit’s worth from each of you and I will share with you all that I know of the spirit you want to learn of.”

Instead of risking any agreement from the others Desmon spoke up. “You would leave us weakened to continue. You ask too much.”

“Very well. Then I will share not just the knowledge of that spirit but the knowledge of two others except for myself and night fang. He and I hold an ancient contract. What say you?”

Now Desmon glanced at Mirin who after a moment of standing still gave a nod. A low sigh escaped Desmon as he looked at the spirit. “We agree. However, you must give us your word that when you are strengthened by our blood and we are weakened you will make no move against us.”

“We have a deal then!” As she spoke Vanea leaned back and placed her hands behind her while her mouths remained open. There was no intention in her of taking the mens blood but rather she had every intention of forcing them to cut themselves on her teeth. She just continued to smile as they approached her and began to extend their hands towards her teeth.

Mirin could hardly believe he was doing this as he looked at the teeth of the spirit. It was fairly clear why Desmon had slowed down their progress. As he began to cut his hand though he couldn't help but notice the spirit looking at him. “Yes?”

“Oh I was just thinking how good your blood will be considering that energy you granted me in greeting. Mm I bet you're going to be as sweet as can be.”

 Mirin didn't know what to say as he looked at the spirit and nothing was coming to mind. So he remained silent as he lightly grazed his hand against her teeth and began to let his blood flow into the open mouth. Just how powerful was this spirit? Spirits power tended to be strongly related to their intelligence though that could also be due to their age and experiences. This one seemed rather powerful though and it made him wonder if she was the result a single predatory plant or many of them. Perhaps she was the result of those who lived outside the forest and the fear they had for it. He doubted she would give him a strait answer though even if he asked so he remained silent.

Desmon found himself watching the spirit carefully despite their dealings. He didn't like the ideal of weakening himself like this but she had made a good offer. “So is there a name you go by?”

“None that I would speak to you. You may pick one to call me if you wish.”

“I'll just call you Slumber then. After all you were born from the flowers of eternal slumber.”

“Oh you guessed my origin.”

“Your form gave it away. Now how about you tell us what you know about this intruding spirit?”

“The spirit you want to know of isn't a member of the natural order like I am. She is an amalgam you see. I suppose you have some theory as to what type of spirit you're dealing with.”

“We thought that it was a spirit of decay.”

“The amalgam is related to a spirit of decay or to be more precise is partly one yes. It is a spirit of disease, predation, fortitude and more. I do not know the spirits origins but I know that it seeks to consume this entire forest and turn it into a permanently diseased land.  It does not seek restoration but instead desires stagnation. However, this is all irrelevant to what you truly desire. You want to know it's weaknesses yes? Well I'll tell you what I know. This spirit can only stand on land that the kobolds have touched and somehow tainted.  Even in this world so I suppose it was born amongst the kobolds or heavily influenced by them. That is why it had my sisters the dryads driven off and why it can't touch my sanctuary.”

“You kill the kobolds before they can taint the ground.”

Now Vanea was made to grin. “Naturally.” With those words Vanea moved her hand and the plants around her were made to shift and lift up revealing what was beneath. Bones upon piles of bones lay. The corpses of a multitude of kobolds lay underneath the plants. “They have done much to feed me in your world.”

“What other information do you have for us?”

“The amalgam has began to grow frustrated with its efforts. This forest confines us and sets certain paths we must take. With the kobolds being the key to its freedom the amalgam has always been limited in its movement. It was only through great effort it was able to forge a path.”

“Is there a way we can tell where the amalgam is allowed to stand?”

“Where it is allowed to stand? There is a scent to those areas and I know those who could guide you to those spots. However, that would come at a price as well. To know where the spirit has stood though you only need to see the plants. They will be sickened and dieing. Even in the most fertile soil where that thing touches life is sickened and may perish. Purification is almost always needed.”

Finally Desmon stopped bleeding and looked to the others who'd come with us. “That's enough to fulfill our contract.”

Vanea couldn't help but frown as the blood no longer flowed into her mouths but she made no comment. She once again closed and covered her mouths taking on a far more gentler appearance as she set back up. “Don't you want to know what spirits may guide you to where the spirit can walk?”

“I believe we will try to find that information for ourselves and now tell us what else you know of this spirit.”

“Very well.”

***************************************************************************************************

“This sucks.”

Terima couldn't help but nod as she looked over at Pera who was currently hiding a few meters away from her. “No kidding. I enjoy hunting but this is really a bunch of crap. This is the first time I can remember being told to go hunting for a specific animal and it not been a punishment.”

“I really wanted some kind of bird today as well. Perhaps a few hawks or a nice turkey if we could find one. No though. We have to go out and find some venison. Then again it's not like we're going to be the ones eating any of it. We have to finish off the kobolds first.”

“Well have you tried thinking about how you're hunting for Allen?”

“It's crossed my mind and that makes this a little better. Wouldn't it be more fun though if we could be out actively hunting rather then having to stay this close to home? I mean we could handle a few kobolds if they attacked us and if enough showed up to overwhelm us we could easily out run them.”

“Shh.” Terima held up her finger as she scooted forward while keeping her body close to the tree.  It actually took a fair bit of willpower to keep her tail from flicking about as she spotted what they'd been looking for. A rather well fatted buck had wondered into the opening. “Do you think he's big enough to reach our goal.”

“I believe so. Do you want to take the”

Terima didn't wait for Pera to finish. Her feet had already pushed off the tree leaving a rather notable gap in the bark as she jumped towards the deer. There was no sudden burst of movement or fear from the creature. Not even a flinch of recognition. Before the animal could even see or hear Terima her claws and teeth had found their mark sinking deeply into the animal and nearly removing its head entirely.

“Hey!”

Instead of responding right away Terima continued to hold onto the deer waiting for all twitching to stop before removing her teeth and claws. “What?”

“Couldn't you have asked if I wanted to make the killing strike?”

A slight chuckle escaped Terima and she gave Pera and impish grin. “Sorry. You're not the only one that doesn't like the taste of kobold though. I really wanted to get the flavor out of my mouth and blood works just as well as anything.”

“Humph. Well fine then. Next time though I want to make the killing move.”

“Oh, alright. Hey have you seen Mina's belly lately?”

“Yeah. It looks like she's starting to show doesn't it?”

“I believe so. If she gets real big though we know that it's a sister.”

“I hope it's a brother though. Perhaps Mina could even have twins.”

“Oh! That would be neat. I don't believe I've ever seen twins.” While she was speaking Terima began to heft the deer onto her shoulders. “Alright let's get on home.”

Pera gave a nod and waited for Terima to take the lead. As her friend began to move she took a moment to glance behind them then follow. Since the attack on the village sisters below guardian status had been forbidden to leave the village by themselves. As a further complication though those sisters who were below proper fighting age found themselves being assigned all sorts of tasks to free up the elder sisters. In Pera and Terima's case that involved hunting for the days meals to keep them from having to open up storage more then they already had. It was a bit frustrating. “Hey Terima we fought good on the beach didn't we?”

“I thought so.”

“Why aren't we being allowed to fight then? We've proven ourselves capable.”

“Well someone has to go and gather don't they? Even if we're capable of fighting that doesn't mean we are the most capable.”

“I hadn't thought about that and it is true. It's a little crazy we're only being sent out to gather one animal though.”

“Okay that I have to agree with. I mean the two of us could bring back plenty of food if we were just given permission to hunt at will. This isn't even enough meat to feed all of our brothers. So I don't exactly know what they're thinking sending us out to get one deer unless they really just want to keep us busy.”

“Oh. So you're back to thinking how I was are you?”

“Damn it. That's not a funny thought.  I bet they have the others doing the same busy work.”

“I guess there isn't much we can do about it. Still, I'm going to ask Stella about it. She's a keeper so she should know for certain.”

***************************************************************************************************

“No Pera we don't have you out there just doing busy work.” As she was speaking Stella didn't look away from her current tasks. Currently her fingers were moving about an apple her claws slightly extended and easily removing the skin. “The reason we put you and the others out hunting is that we need the supplies. I know that one deer doesn't seem like a lot but we're taking our gathering one day at a time and trying to watch out impact on the forest. It isn't just that though. We're also keeping you near the village in case we're attacked once again.”

“Then why not send out a small group to do the gathering and all the others stay near the village?”

“Because that leads you to doing something stupid.”

“Huh?”

“Pera.” For a moment Stella went silent and held the apple she was holding up to her nose sniffing it several times before tossing it out the window as not suitable. “Pera, you know just as any of us that we have a desire to hunt and kill. If that desire isn't released once in a while it can become overwhelming and lead to very poor choices. So while keeping you close enough to the village to defend it we also send you out hunting to gather supplies and relieve those desires.”

“Oh. That makes sense. So Stella what are you doing?”

“I'm just making some baked cinnamon apples. Allen loves them and well with this weather fresh apples that are suitable for baking won't be around much longer.”

“I'm surprised you found any at all. How did you managed that?”

“A dryad lives in the area where I found this apple tree and she keeps the plants stronger then what the natural cycle allows for.”

“That's nice of her. So when will Allen be getting back anyway?”

“Not for a few hours.” As Pera spoke she couldn't help but notice a different scent on the air then usual and it wasn't the apples. Rather the scent drew Stella's eyes to Pera and actually brought a smile to her face as she realized what she was smelling.

For a moment Pera said nothing but noted Stella observing her. After a short while though she couldn't stay quiet any longer. “What?”

“Oh it's nothing Pera. So did you notice anything  strange while you were out with Terima?”

“Nothing really strange. We didn't go very far though. I believe most of the local animals  don't consider us as much of a threat as the others do though. I suppose they're used to seeing us pass over without attacking them. Then again I would normally like to browse the area looking for a truly nice pick.”

“You didn't like the buck you retrieved?”

“Well he didn't scream delicious like I would prefer.”

A sigh escaped Stella as she gave her head a shake. “Allen has told me how picky you can be about your food.”

***************************************************************************************************

Shifting from one plain of existence to another was not something that went unnoticed. Though if the spell was done right the trip could be gentle something was always felt. As Mirin found himself returning to the physical world though he couldn't help but wonder if he was going to throw up. A feeling that was apparently shared by everyone except Desmon as he continued to look around. “Do you. Do you recognize where we are?”

“Yeah I know this area. We're actually a little further from your homes then I believed we would be. However, I'm certain the sisters will still be able to hear us. Do you have strength enough to cast the spell Mirin?”

“It was only a little blood.”

“You look a little pale to be saying that.”

“Yeah I feel a little bit off to be saying that as well.” Even as he was speaking Mirin began to gather energy and alter the wind currents around his hand. The result was a signal too high for human ears that would carry for miles. Now he only had to hope that it was one of the sisters who knew of their operations that would answer otherwise they would have to start doing some explaining.

Desmon couldn't help but grin as he looked at the brothers. “Well you all did better then I expected you to. However, it wasn't quite as good as I expected mages to do. Those sisters of yours are truly quite picky about letting you wonder outside of their protective zone aren't they?”

“It's hard for us not to be. You all seem so fragile and protection is as deeply built into us as our desire to hunt and kill if not more so.”

Both brothers and Desmon were rather surprised whenever the heard the voice of a sister though many relaxed when they turned to see Versa. None spoke up though as a rather note worthy roar was released from the sister. A clear indicator to all in the area that she had found the source of the sound and the situation was in control. “So Vera has the day found you well.”

“No.”

“Huh? Has something happened?”

“Yes. My favorite berry patch is dead and I don't meant due to the cold. I know there wouldn't have been any berries this time of year but I still went by the spot. The entire thing was blackened and I had to go retrieve a vial to burn it properly. I really liked that patch to.”

“Huh. I wonder if it could be related to the dead zone we found in the shadow world.”

“I wouldn't know anything about that. However, I do know that your heart rates are off and you're looking pale.”

The first notion that struck Mirin was to tell Vera that it was due to the shift between realms. This notion left his mind though as he began to speak. “We made a deal with a spirit and she required her payment be in blood.”

“Well you seem to be alright for the moment. I'm hoping that was paid in full though and not a starting down payment. If it is I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you all some trouble.”

“The debt was paid in full on our part. However, the spirit still is indebted to us as far as some information is concerned. If you would help us get back to the citadel we'll fill you in on the rest of the information.”

“Sure. I imagine Sora is moving in this direction to help out as well.”

“Good. There are some locations we'd also like to examine. Desmon do you believe you could lead us to them now?”

“Sure.”

***************************************************************************************************

“They're that many already?” As Joseph looked at the map set out before him he couldn't help but give a low whistle. Several areas on the map had been marked as dead zones that had to be cleaned out. While it was still only a tiny portion of the forest it was more then he had been expecting.

Maria had been scouting the forest while delivering news to various groups and instructions. She was the one that was responsible for finding most of the dead zones as well though other sisters were contributing as well. “Yeah. They're not as big as they look on the map though. Some of them are only a few trees or in a few cases just one tree but we're taking them pretty seriously. The instructions are simple. We kill everything in that region that isn't already dead, gather it together and burn it then one of the brothers comes along to finish the job with some magic. I hear that the dryads are helping them with that part especially the one that moved into the protected area.”

“That's interesting. What about the dead zone that was found within the protected area?”

“That still has us on high alert. The spot was cleansed really well but I have to say I'm still nervous.”

As Joseph was looking at the map he found himself trying to find some kind of pattern in the location of the dead zones. None was coming to mind though and he soon found it rather hard to focus as he felt something warm, soft and heavy begin to settle down atop his head. At first he wasn't certain what it was but as the weight began to truly be felt and he looked up he came to a quick realization as he looked up at Maria's chest. “You really love being able to do that don't you?”

“You're darn right I like being able to do this.” As she was speaking Maria had settled down behind Joseph and leaned forward so that her breasts came to rest upon his head. It was actually tempting to push down a bit harder and see if she could squeeze his head between her breasts but she held off on that desire for fear of hurting him. She was fairly certain that either one of her breasts was now a good bit larger then his head though. “Getting to grow this much larger so quickly has been really wonderful.”

“Have you noticed a change in how much hunger you feel?”

“That's the odd thing. I haven't really noticed a change in how much I want to eat but from what everyone has told me that desire goes down as you get larger. I guess my hunger is a bit stronger then normal though. It'll take more growth then this to convince my stomach to settle down.”

“Well Dan and I are doing our best to see to that.”

“How are things going on your project anyway? You know. The project that you were suppose to keep quiet about but told me about anyway.”

“Maria you make it sound like I've told you everything there is to know. You also know that I can't tell you more then what I have. I gave my word after all.”

“Humph. You just wait until I have a secret to lord over you.”

“I somehow doubt I would ever know about it. After all, I doubt many brothers know exactly what you all do whenever you're out in the forest together.”

“It'll stay that way to until you brothers quit having your secret meetings.”

“You don't say.”

“Yep!”

For a moment Joseph said nothing but continued to look at Maria. After a moment he couldn't hold it in though and a massive grin formed on his face as he found himself beginning to chuckle. “The breast on my head tell me I'm dealing with a woman but the tone of voice makes me think I'm dealing with a child.”

“Hey!” Instead of allowing Joseph to continue Maria reached up and parted her breasts she then quickly lowered them while releasing her breasts. The feeling of Joseph's head being engulfed by her chest sent a tingle up Maria's spine and before she'd realized what she was doing she'd wrapped her arms around his head. “Who's a child now huh?” A slight giggle escaped Maria whenever only muffled protest reached her ears.

***************************************************************************************************

As Dan worked the stone floor he moved his tool carefully noting each line he took. The tiny pin like device was specially made for cutting through stone with a very note worthy earth enchant upon its tip. Rock of most type yielded to it with ease especially if the stone wasn't augmented somehow. Currently he found himself cutting the glyphs they would need to redirect the energy from the life bloom into the energy distribution system. These would be later filled in with the crystal he and Joseph had been developing.

“Hey Dan. I haven't seen Mina in a while how is she doing?”

“She's actually becoming rather irritable again though I believe it's how everyone is treating her. She's used to being thought of the big invulnerable power house.”

“Ah so she doesn't like everyone treating her like she's some delicate doll.”

“That's precisely the situation.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he continued with his own task. He was currently focusing on the junctions between the various glyphs. While they made up only a tiny fraction of the overall design they were by far the most delicate area and required the most focus. One miss drawn line could easily result in energy leaking out or building up into a massive explosion later down the line. “Dan this is a pain in the wrist.”

“I know. This is normally the type of work you'd have an entire team working on instead of two men. These pins are helpful though.”

“Yeah, I don't believe I'd even be attempting this if it wasn't for them. Once we're done you're going to have to check over my work.”

“As long as you do the same for me. I want a third person in here though to check it after that though and perhaps even a fourth.”

“That sounds like a good ideal. So has Mina been wanting to eat more now that she's with child?”

“That's hard to tell with our sisters. They always want to eat more.”

“Very true. Hey Dan I've been thinking. Do you believe that the sisters could be called the sisters of humanity? After all they were designed to live along side of us and provide protection. At least they were designed to do that for the Luvarians.”

“I suppose that's one way you could look at them though I believe many would disagree. Also it's not like humans are the only species they have to live along side of. Are you trying to think up a species name for them?”

“Yeah it's been bothering me a bit.” 

“The Luvarians actually had an official name for them. They were called the Srale. It's a name that isn't used often around here though.”

“I'll say. All this time here and I hadn't heard it. Why don't the sisters call themselves that?”

“It's one of the things they don't agree with their creators on. You see they don't consider themselves an entirely separate life form from humans as their existences also depends on ours.  After all a species must be able to reproduce for it to be a true species. So they view that name as more of a product title then anything else.”

“I see what you mean. So I guess calling them the Srale people wouldn't make them happy would it?”

“Honestly I believe they'd take it as a pretty serious insult. I wouldn't try that with a sister I didn't know very well and even then I wouldn't want to push it. It could end up with some seriously hostile feelings. It may be nice if they were to give themselves a name of some type though. Perhaps we should first ask them to name the forest though and that could help bring upon a name. After all if they're ever going to reach out to the outside world it would be nice for them to have an official title. Then again that may never happen.”

“Well they were made by the Luvarians. Why not call them the Luvery?”

“Mm you think that's a good name?”

“Don't you?”

“Luvery, luvery. I really don't like how that sounds coming off the tongue to be honest.”

“Well I'm sure a name that's more pleasing to the ear could be came up with later. I don't know perhaps I'll speak with Maria about it and you could ask Mina. Though I imagine Mina would get more to listen to her about the need for an official name then Maria would.”

“Probably but you can't rely on Maria to do such things or Mina. If you believe it's important you need to bring it up yourself. After all, you're one of us as well.”

“That's true. Perhaps I will whenever I feel the time is right. With me and you working on this though I really don't feel I have the time to be arguing politics.”

“That's true. Okay I need to wrest my hand is starting to kill me.”

***************************************************************************************************

Three weeks had passed since they'd taken their first step into the shadow realm and Desmon was showing greater concern with each trip into it. It wasn't just related to time though. Mirin had noticed a sharp increase in how careful they were having to be as they moved further away from the main village and the protective spirits. As he stood behind Desmon he realized now as several shapes stood before him. The figures appeared to be tuskers in some regards yet they weren't. A tuskers's tusk were something to be feared that was for certain but they only had one set. The creatures that stood before them had several though. Tusks came out their sides and ran along their backs forming menacing blades. Their teeth were clearly not meant for grinding plants as well. “Desmon what are those?”

“Spirits that have been influenced by the tuskers and peoples fear of them. Territorial spirits that will defend a given region well beyond what common sense would tell you.”

“Can we get away from them?”

“As we are right now? Not a chance. Keep in mind though that looks aren't everything here. Now.” As he finished speaking Desmon fell to his hands and knees and let out a massive roar, his shoulders seemed to explode and his hair began to rapidly grow while his mouth shot outward. In only a few moments where had once been a man now stood a very impressive looking bear.

As the leader tusker looked at the group it readied itself to charge. The spirit wasn't quite prepared for the massive fireball that slammed into it moments later though. The searing flames reached around and engulfed the tusker as well as those spirits around it, the shock wave generated by the expanding gases lifted the creatures off the ground and the roar of the flames covered up their squeals as they were sent flying backwards for but a moment. Tizad had no intentions of losing though as the stubborn spirit dug its hooves into the ground it let lose an enraged roar and charged strait towards the group.

Desmon and all there knew that a tusker who had just been hit by such a fireball wouldn't be pressing the attack. This was no true tusker though  but the creature of hunter's nightmares. Desmon braced himself for the spirits attack however before it could reach him the creature was once again stopped in its tracks as a crack of thunder shot throughout the area and for a moment the creature was lit up by tendrils of electrical energy coming from the four brothers that had joined them. A shrill scream escaped the creature as the lighting paralyzed it. For a moment Desmon risked looking back at the brothers and was surprised to see Mirin preparing another fire spell. “Okay so you really are mages.”

Now it was Mirin's turn to grin. “Yes we are.” With those words Mirin released another wave of fire that slammed into the lead tusker. The other spirits having fallen back from the sight before them as their pack leader was made to once again be sent flying through the air.

When the tusker had first attacked Desmon had expected to have to fight it. As Mirin's second fire spell slammed into the creature though he knew that wouldn't be the case. The creatures injuries were significant but what was even more apparent was the other spirits turned towards their former leader. A harsh shrill escapes the spirits and they quickly pounced on their weakened leader sinking teeth and tusks into the downed spirit who's shrieks filled the area. “Let's get out of here.”

“Desmon what's going on?”

“They're turning on him. They may look like tuskers but they're not like I said before. As tempting of targets as we are they now have a far more tempting one in order to increase their strength. Now let's move once they're done eating their former leader they'll remember us.”

“Shouldn't we finish them off then?”

“No. Their leaders fall will upset the real tuskers badly enough. If we destroy this spirit pack though it could upset a great many more in the physical world.”

“I see. I've never seen tuskers turn on one another like though except for mating and whenever one was challenging the leadership.”

“That's what's going on here. Now come on.”

To this Mirin gave a nod and began to follow behind Desmon. The other brothers soon joined though none of them could resist looking back to insure that the tuskers weren't following them. As they were moving though several of them noted the weaker spirits beginning to fight one another for the majority of their former leaders body. “Does everything in this place have such a predatory nature?”

“Spirits feeding on essence and the greatest source of spirit essence other then a font is another spirit being.  Loyalty here is quite fleeting and is only truly held amongst the most powerful of spirits. You have to remember to a spirit being everything that makes up this world is food. However, some sources of food are more desirable then others and worth seeking out. Thus why you don't see the spirit of a bird trying to eat that of a tree. At least not in most cases.”

“Is that how amalgams come to be?”

“For the most part yes. It's a spirit that ate something that it wasn't meant to and it was warped by it. That isn't the only way that such things may happen though. It can also happen whenever a spirit adopts the roll of one that is unnatural to its calling.”

“So because those tuskers would normally challenge one another for leadership this won't influence them?”

“It's something like that yes. In the physical world whenever a tusker challenges the leadership and overcomes them the group in theory becomes stronger. Here whenever the same thing happens the victor grows stronger.”

“I've known for a while that spirits would feed upon one another but seeing that. Well it isn't quite like I imagined it would be. Gah!” Mirin found himself silence as he held his staff up blocking a rather threatening claw which threatened to impale his body. What he found on the other end of the claw wasn't what he expected. A massive black figure stood before him. The being was humanoid except for its hand though  it clearly wasn't human. The figure seemed to house teeth throughout its body while its face only shown one eye. He didn't get to inspect it too much as a bear slammed into it.

Desmon couldn't believe he'd let the spirit of death get so close to Mirin. As he tackled the creature though he took the chance to dig his claws deeply into the spirit's body. The creature released a scream that seemed to come from its entire being as it leaped backwards. Instead of retreating though the creature slashed out at Desmon and slammed his weapon solidly into his upper shoulder. His body held though and moments later Desmon noted several mystic attacks slamming into the creature sending it sprawling on the ground.

As Mirin regained his footing he looked at the creature before them. “What is that?”

“It's an amalgam!” Even as the words left his mouth Desmon had already began to charge the spirit. A temptation to bight into the spirit was there but he held it in for fear of the creature's tainted essence. Instead he slammed his claws into the creature this time digging them deeply into it. “Burn it!”

None bothered to question Desmon but every brother including Mirin released a focus flow of fire into the spirit. The roar of the flames were soon joined by the screams of the creature as the flames began to consume it. As Mirin channeled his magic though he found himself trying to examine the creature and figure out exactly what it was. He didn't get to think much on that though as he noted something moving towards them. “They're more of them!”

As Mrin's words hit his ears Desmon released the spirit and quickly charged back towards the brothers. This spirit didn't get past him as he slammed solidly into the creature. “Ready yourselves this is an assault!”

***************************************************************************************************

“Mirin what the hell happened to you!” It was impossible for Sora to hide her concern as she looked at Mirin who was currently sporting a few nasty bruises and had most likely been carrying some nasty cuts as well. More then likely he had healed them before their return.

Instead of responding right away Mirin continued to walk towards Sora. “Sora would you mind picking me up? I really don't have much strength right now to stand.”

Sora didn't need Mirin to repeat himself as she reached down and slipped a massive hand under his bottom. Her fingers easily encompassed his rear and her thumb pushed against the base of his back to give him some support as she picked him up. “Mirin you look like you got the day lights beat out of you.”

“We were attacked by several spirits of death in the forest. At least they were spirits of death according to Desmon now they're something else. They apparently didn't like us being in the shadow world.”

“Are all the others alright.” As she was speaking Sora slipped one of her fingers under Mirin's shirt. She didn't need to ask him to  lift his arms above his head as he did so automatically helping in the removal of the garment. As she looked at his chest though she found her concern growing.

“We all lived but we're all pretty beaten up. Fortunately I can say the only one who looked worse then me is Desmon.” Mirin didn't bother protesting as Sora lifted him up to her face and her massive tongue flicked out. The warm powerful muscle pressed against his chest covering a noteworthy portion of it and then ran along it. He couldn't help but cringe though as her tongue brushed just over his heart where one of the creatures had tried to impale him.

“Mirin I can taste your blood and what do you mean looked?”

“Druids seem to heal up better then mages. Please be careful Sora I'm really tinder right now. I'll finish healing myself up after I've had some time to rest.”

“Why rest? Let's get some healing potions inside of you now.”

“No. No thank you Sora. I don't want to waste our reserves on something that I can heal myself if you just give me a little time to recover.” As he was speaking Mirin took hold of Sora's massive left hand which had continued moving over his sore muscles. As he held onto her hand he couldn't help but grin as he realized how tiny his hands were. His fingers couldn't even encircle her fingers or really begin to and yet she would be growing more in time if Dan and Joseph succeeded.

“Mirin I don't like seeing you like this and what will happen if our other sisters see you in this state?”

“That's why I'd like to stay somewhere I won't be seen for a while.”

“Alright/” As she spoke Sora held Mirin against her body and began to conceal herself. As she did so Mirin also vanished from sight as he was wrapped up in her embrace. “I'll take you back to my home and you can rest up there. If you haven't managed to heal yourself by tomorrow though you're going to be taking those potions and I'm going to treat your injuries immediately.”

“Sure. Do you have any disinfectant handy?”

“I'm certain that I do. The stuff that apparently burns like fire whenever used on a cut.”

“I somehow think I'll need something about that strong to insure that these don't get infected. At least we learned some things today. One of the major ones being that our enemy doesn't like us looking around the shadow realm. I'm fairly certain it was the amalgam that sent those tainted spirits to kill us.”

“You're not exactly helping the ideal that I should let you go back into the shadow realm.”

“I know. Next time though we're going to be better equipped and we now have a better ideal of what we're dealing with and why it has been tainting those spirits of death.”

“Well don't just keep it to yourself. I want to hear this.”

***************************************************************************************************

“Okay that was an ordeal.” Dan couldn't help but sigh as he looked at the silver bars before them. Joseph and Carter had joined him and both of them were nodding though it was Carter who spoke up.

“Well the two of you have made off with an awful lot of silver lately. I can understand why they'd want to know what was going on.”

To this Dan gave a nod and picked up one of the bars. “It can't be helped though. We're not suppose to talk too much about what we're working on for the moment. Anyway, Carter the reason we asked for you is we really need your help making some shapers and getting them to function properly. We've already began work on a transmission system and a power source but the receivers are another issue.”

“How come? Given your knowledge I figure it'd be easy between the two of you.”

“The thing is this energy transmission system is for our sisters. You see we've been trying to develop a shaper that could provide them with a constant stream of energy without degrading. It's the not degrading part that's proving tricky though. Now we understand that you've worked on the protective items our sisters where while in the alchemical shops correct?”

“Yes but what do you have in mind?”

“We were thinking that you could surround the shaper which would transmit the energy to our sisters with a damper. The damper would protect the shaper from the influence of our sisters so that the energy flow wouldn't be disrupted.”

“Hm I'm afraid that wouldn't work Dan. You see the dampers resist the flow of all mystic energies so while the shaper would be protected while inside of one it would also dampen the flow of energy to the shaper and the flow out of it once it had actually reached the device.”
“There isn't a way to modify the damper?”

“None that I know of which would stop our sisters from draining the energy away from it.”

“Darn. Well maybe if I explain what we're trying to do. At first we thought of using magic items but we all know how magic items respond to our sisters over time. So instead we went with the ideal of a shaper which can function as a magical item yet that also results in a problem. In order for the shaper to receive the energy it would first need to be awakened with some mystic energy. After that it would act as a magic item for our sisters and could receive the energy unless they drained away the power too quickly. If that happened then the shaper would lose its charge and quit working entirely.”

“I see. So you're trying to find a way to insure that it always retains something of a charge.”

“That's correct.”

While Dan and Carter had been speaking Joseph took this opportunity to speak up. “We've considered the ideal of an adjustable flow rate which would only let so much energy be siphoned from the shaper at any given moment. The problem with that though is that the bodies of our sisters may still force the energy to be pulled through too rapidly and cause the shaper to lose its charge.”

“I'm not certain if what you're asking can be done really. I know of a way to insure only so much energy flows through at any given moment however the influence our sisters body will have on the shaper will always be there. That said even the drain they put on such items is limited. We can't make something that perfectly resistant but I'm certain we can make something that's resistant enough.”

“What do you have in mind Carter?”

“I swear one of the worse problems is that what's often used to control and guide magic is magic itself. You two are skilled alchemist though. Why don't you design the shaper with a strong receiving crystal but a very resistant transmission crystal?”

“That could work. How resistant are we talking about here though? One of the reason we called you here is neither of us has really felt the influence our sisters have on the flow of mystic energy.”

For a moment Carter went silent and began to tap his fingers against the table before him. “We're talking very resistant here to be honest. I would say that the damper would need to be able to resist a third level spell at the very least if you want to accomplish your goals and even that might not work for all of our sisters.”

“Third level? That's doable but. Carter I hate to ask this but would you be willing to come on board with us? Dan and I still have extensive work to do on the energy system and we really need an extra set of hands.”

“Guys I'm sort of busy at the moment. I've been helping Mirin and the others with some projects as well. Some events gave me some free time today in order to come by and help you but I really can't double up on two projects at once.”

“Alright. Well then perhaps while we have you here you can help us with the design of the shaper?”

“I'd be happy to. Though I have to ask. Exactly how do you expect our sisters to carry such a shaper with them at all times?”

“We'd considered several options actually though we kept running into issues due to our sisters expanding bodies and healing abilities. Then Dan came up with the ideal of an earring.”

“An earring?”

Dan was quick to nod and rejoin the conversation. “Indeed. The skin on our sisters ears is some of the easiest to pierce in their body and if we set up the shaper correctly it should be well protected. After all they typically don't just allow someone to hit them in the head. Also if we use a large loop we should be able to set it up so that even as their bodies expand the earring will remain. Well as long as they don't grow too much.”

“So you're thinking of putting the earring in their lower ear?”

“Indeed. What do you think?”

“It should work though I wish we could find somewhere a bit more protected then that. That can probably come later though. Alright let's get to work. You've got me for the next three hours but after that I just don't know. I'll help out when I can though.”

***************************************************************************************************

Maria wasn't happy with the current arrangement. Currently she found herself spending the majority of her day running around the forest and at times she had to spend the night. In the mean time Joseph had been working on some secret project and had only been able to give her limited information. Now she found herself waiting for her mate to finally get home and spend some time with her and he was already over an hour late. She didn't blame him for this as she knew his work was important but it left the young beast girl rather frustrated. As she heard a familiar heart beat though and caught a sent on the wind  she was made to smile and quickly dashed towards the door. Welcome back Joseph!”

At Maria's greetings Joseph was both made to jump and grin. For a moment he said nothing but gave the sister who had carried him back an awkward smile which was met by another before she dashed off. “Thanks Maria. It's good to see you again. I didn't mean to be late but things ran over.”

“I know you're busy and I forgive you for it. After all you're working for the good of us all. Besides you're a few hours late at times I've been an entire night late. What do you have in the bag?”

“Can't you tell?”

Maria was made to chuckle as she gave a nod. “Yes I can tell. You brought back some smoked meat, bread and fruit. I wish I could eat some of it.”

“Huh? I brought some of it for you though.”

“Well I guess you'll be having it for breakfast come on and set down though you're exhausted.”

“Why can't you help me eat any of this?”

“We're still working on the kobold and despite attempts to preserve it the flesh is still getting a little age on it so we've been asked to focus on it. Joseph would you believe I'm getting sick of the taste of those creatures?”

“Well sure. You eat anything enough and you'll get tired of it.”

“Not us. Those things though. Yeah even we get sick of them.” As she was speaking Maria stood aside to let Joseph walk by. As he began to move past her though she couldn't help but grin as she noted his head didn't even come up to her chest level. The temptation was too great and she leaned forward. “Bop.”

The word reached his ears before the boobs met his head but Joseph didn't have time to think about that. He felt too large soft and rather heavy objects bump into his head with enough force to knock him off his balance. Instinctively he reached out to catch himself and his hands came to rest without fail upon Maria's hips. “Woe.”

Instead of letting Joseph move away Maria wrapped her arms around him and pulled him against herself. As she did so her left hand released and quickly took hold of the bag he'd been packing which had slipped from his grip. “I missed you. I've been missing you a lot.”

“I know and I've been missing you. I love you Maria.”

“Mm I love you to Joseph. You know what else I do though?”

“Love bopping me on the head with your boobs?”

“Well yes. I also want to take you into our bedroom though and make love to you so that you're too tired to leave me in the morning.”

Joseph couldn't help but notice the tone in Maria's voice or the feeling of Maria's nipples pressing against him. He felt his throat going dry and his penis beginning to respond as Maria began to shift slightly rubbing her breasts against him as she did so. “That's. That's quite an offer there.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she leaned forward and opened her mouth slipping the very tip of Joseph's ear between her lips and then closing them on it. For a moment she said nothing as she lightly sucked on the tip of his ear. It was clear to Maria that she was having an affect on Joseph as she could hear his heart rate speeding up and had noticed the change in his breath. “It's such a shame that you're going to have to decline isn't it?”

“Huh?”

“I bet you haven't eaten all day have you Joseph?”

“Well that is.”

Now Maria released Joseph and stood back up. “Go ahead and go eat. An empty stomach wouldn't have the stamina I would require from you anyway. After that though perhaps we can enjoy one another some. I'll just have to remember to leave you with enough strength to work in the morning.”

***************************************************************************************************

“Joseph what happened to you!”

“Hey Dan. Maria happened to me. I. I think she was a little rougher then she intended to be.” While he was speaking Joseph had already settled down and retrieved a small bottle from his pocket. He wasted no time putting a bright blue gel in his hands. He didn't hesitate in the least to begin rubbing it into his right shoulder.

“Oh damn. She's still not used to her increased size and I bet you haven't had much time for her to practice yet. She's probably feeling rather eager as well.”

“Yeah. I'm guessing this is what you go through with Mina at times?”

“Oh heck no. Mina would kill me if we tried to get truly intimate right now. We're still taking it very easy whenever we're together.”

“What about whenever I saw you all beaten up drinking that potion?”

“That was mostly due to me being put through an exercise routine I wasn't ready for. Honestly Joseph you look really beaten up. Didn't you say anything?”

“I was a bit caught up in the moment myself. I didn't really noticed how roughed up I was until this morning.”

“How did you even convince Maria to let you go.” Instead of just standing around Dan made his way over to the alchemical supplies he and Joseph had been using. He didn't bother asking if Joseph would like a potion to help with the pain and healing but began to rapidly mix one together.

“I told her that I couldn't afford to delay our work and that I would treat myself as soon as I was able. I actually had to promise to treat my injuries once I got here before she'd let me leave. Dan I'm afraid I'm going to have to put a little more of the work on you then normal though.”

“That's alright. What are you rubbing in anyway?”

“It's a salve that will help my body to heal but it tends to weaken the muscles while it's working.”

“Hm I see. Well I got something that I believe will help you as well. Just give me a few to finish putting it together. You couldn't have had too many supplies at your home to make that anyway.”

“Actually I made it a while back. It was something of a private joke at the time though. You see I got to thinking about how you looked after a horny Mina got hold of you and decided I would want something prepared in advance. Now I believe I should have made something stronger.”

“Well here you go this should help with your healing along with that salve. With you not feeling up to it though I'm going to go ahead and get to work on those etchings. If you don't mind would you continue work on the formula we started yesterday?”

“Yeah. I hope Carter manages to come by to help us out though.”

“I would not bet on it. I saw Mirin earlier and he was packing one of the better made mages staffs. It looked like he was getting ready for war and that means the others will be as well.”

“Okay that's not comforting in the least. So Dan how is Mina doing? I haven't seen her in a while but I hear she's showing.”

“Honestly she's on a hair trigger and that ax she's packing isn't helping anything. She feels embarrassed that she's having to use a weapon and the fact that she's showing means some are treating her like she needs their help and she insist that she doesn't. Between already feeling self conscious, a high hormone level due to the pregnancy and how people are treating her she's liable to snap someone in half if they aren't careful.”

“Have you had any ideals on how to calm her down?”

“I've been preparing her honeyed tea and other sweets that are meant to sooth and I think they're working to an extent. She seems to calm down after spending some time at home regardless though she she came in furious three days ago. They were apparently some beginning to wonder if she could still perform her function with as far along as she is. From what I heard later she nearly sent three sisters air born for talking too loudly about such things. She insist that she still has a few months before the baby will be ready to be born and that she's strong enough to protect herself the baby and the village.”

“How do you feel about it?”

“I. I. I really want her to stay home.”

At first Joseph said nothing but continued to look at the formula before him. He could feel the weight in Dan's words and knew it hadn't been easy for him to say that. “Have you told her?”

“Yeah. I told her. She wasn't really happy about it.”

“Did she get angry?”

“She started to cry. Joseph telling a sister something like that is almost like saying you don't trust her or have confidence in her and I should have used different words then what I did.”

“Dan. I'm sorry.”

“It's not your fault Joseph. I should have chosen my words more carefully or not said anything at all.”

“How is she doing now?”

“She hasn't brought it up but I really need to apologize I just don't know what I'm apologizing for. It isn't wrong to want to keep your wife and unborn child safe after all. Right?”

“I completely agree but  I also know what it's like to be sorry for having to hurt someone in order to be honest.”

“Sorry for having to hurt her? Yeah that's what I'm feeling and I'm scared that if I bring it up again I'll just end up hurting her more which I don't want to do.”

“Mina's a smart woman Dan I'm sure she'll understand if you're honest. You just need to explain that you trust her and love her but you'd still prefer if she played it safe.”

“My Mina is a smart beautiful woman but Joseph telling a sister to play it safe is like telling her that you don't trust her.”

“Then what are you going to do?”

“I'm going to tell her that I'm scared and ask her to stay closer to home for me. I'll explain that I can help being scared for her safety and that I want her to stay closer because if I lost her and our child I don't know what I would do. Probably mix up a big batch of some alchemical reaction that requires a life sentient sacrifice and throw myself into it.”

“Dan that's not even remotely funny.”

“She's my life Joseph. I gave up everything in order to be with Mina and she's been my everything pretty much since the day I was taken under her care as a claimed. The thought of living without her and losing our child as well that just. Well I'm not going to think about it.”

***************************************************************************************************

“Okay Maria are you ready for this?”

“Joseph that's just a silly question. Of course I'm ready for this.”

Before commenting Joseph took a moment to look at the ten crystals he had set out. Each one of them was attuned to sing whenever they felt the presence of mystic energy. A short distance away from them was a simple alchemical fluid that released said energy into the environment made in part from the juices from one of the life blooms. Currently all the crystals were silent despite the presence of the liquid though all indicators said it was giving off energy. Then setting in the center of it all was Maria with a massive meals set out before her. The food was simple largely consisting of grains, fruits and some meats but there was a lot of it. “Okay you may begin.”

The moment Joseph said begin Maria grabbed a big loaf of bread sliced it in half with her claws and slipped a chunk of meat inside of it. She didn't worry about manners or holding back as she took a massive bight out of the bread and began to chew. The test was simple. While Maria was in the room she was absorbing the energy from the liquid so the crystal would not sing. What would happened as she ate though? Would her body have less of an influence on the mystic energy in the surrounding environment and how much of an influence would it have? This was why Joseph had the ten crystals set up. Each one would respond to different levels of mystic energy. “So. Joseph how much energy is needed for the little one?”

“It doesn't take much at all to make that crystal sing. If I were to simply hold it in my hand it would begin responding to the weak amount of energy I give off. They're typically only used in areas in which mages are flat out not allowed.”

“I bet they work well.”

“Not so much. They're very easy to set off and will often respond to even weak magic items. They've even responded to people who had simply drank a magic potions a few hours or even a day beforehand. They're really too sensitive for accurate use.”

“Yet they're still used?”

“Well like I said only in areas where mages flat out aren't allowed. Once one goes off the person can be more carefully examined to insure that they aren't a mage.”

“Then the big one?”

“In order to get that one to start responding someone would pretty much have to be casting a spell right in this room and I mean a big spell. The type of spell that would probably take down a castle wall.”

“Um then why even have it?”

“I'm just being thorough. I'll admit though if that one starts going off I'm going to wonder about the accuracy of the test. As well this solution shouldn't have nearly that much energy inside of it.”

Maria didn't bother responding with words but continued to shove food into her mouth. Joseph had explained to her that for this test to be done properly she had to eat until she felt like she couldn't take another bight or sip. It was a fun challenge but she worried that there wasn't enough food there to bring her to that point. As she began working on the apples though she made certain to eat the core as well as the seeds to get as much into her body as she could. While she was gorging herself she couldn't help but observe the crystals from time to time listening for the slightest hint that they were beginning to sing. “So you really didn't find any documents on experiments like this?”

“Much to my surprise no I didn't. I found experiments where the brothers had tried to find out how much energy you could absorb from a spell but nothing like this.” As Joseph was watching Maria he was also keeping track of the rate at which she was eating to the best of his abilities. Given her speed he couldn't write down every little thing she ate however he was able to observe percentages and how empty the table was becoming. He also had a good ideal of what they had began with. “Now this experiment might take a little longer then simply how long it takes you to eat all of that.”

“No problem.”

***************************************************************************************************

Dan took in a deep breath as he prepared himself to step into the living room. Before he could begin to move though he heard Mina's voice.

“Dan something is troubling you and you're preparing to talk to me about it so you might as well get started. You know that I won't hurt you no matter what you say.” As she was speaking Mina placed a massive hand on her stomach just over where her baby was.

“I know Mina but this isn't easy.”

Instead of commenting Mina closed her eyes and listened to Dan's heart beat. She wondered how long it would be before she could hear the sound of her baby's heart beat inside of her. She hoped that it wouldn't be long. “Well you're not going to make me worry and begin to dread whenever you finally do decide to talk to me are you?”

“No. No. Okay.” As he spoke Dan walked into the living room and moved until he was standing in front of Mina. Even with her setting down though and him standing up he found himself looking up into her eyes. They were warm and soft and it only made his heart beat faster. Was he really going to hurt this wonderful woman more? The ideal was rather sickening to him but he had to speak up. “I was talking with Joseph earlier today and he helped me come to a realization.”

“What's that?”

“Mina you're my everything and I love you as I love no other. There is nothing that I love more then you and no one. I believe in you and I'm confident in your strength and yet I have to tell you that I fear for you.”

Now it was Mina's turn to sigh as she looked at Dan. Now she knew what was wrong. He was afraid of hurting her not that she was going to hurt him. She knew she wasn't going to like this conversation but she could see it was important to Dan. Instead of responding right away though she continued to observe Dan as he began to step back apparently giving her room to leave should she choose to do so. Instead of leaving though Mina brought her tail around behind Dan and pushed it up against his bottom. The result was immediate as he lost his balance and took hold of her tail she wrapped it around his waste ever so slightly to help him keep his balance.

Dan couldn't help but grin despite the situation as he found himself seated on Mina's tail. “Mina as small of the chance of harm coming to our child is while inside of you there is still a greater chance when you're actively in the field then when you're at home. It would comfort me and make me feel much better if you would take a patrol path that's closer to the village so that I wouldn't worry about you so much. I know how powerful you are I've seen it more times then I could name and I love your strength but despite all your power I still fear for you. I believe you could be a matron and I would still fear for you now. I fear for our child as well.”

“Dan I need to stay in the field for as long as I can. If I'm not there another sister will have to brave that danger and she won't be as strong as me.”

“I know that but I don't love her as much as I love you. I.” For a moment Dan went silent and took in a deep breath. “Please Mina do this for me. It would mean more then I could say if you would stay closer to home. It's not like they could only send one extra sister into the field if you remained behind either. With your power they could send several and cover a wider area. You're concentrated power after all and the more you can focus on a single area the better off we all are.”

“Dan. That. Well that actually makes a lot of sense.” As she was speaking Mina lifted Dan further with her tail and brought him closer to herself. As she did so she embraced him. “Alright Dan I'll speak with my sisters and see what we can do. I'll try to stay closer to home.”

“I love you Mina and thank you.”

“I love you to Dan.”

***************************************************************************************************

“It's singing.” As the words left his lips Joseph didn't know quite what to think as he looked at the smallest of the crystals.

“Should I stop eating?”

“No! I mean no. Keep going Maria please. This little one can be made to respond so easily but if we can get some of the larger ones to respond.”

There was no verbal response from Maria as she began to eat again. What she did not mention to Joseph though was the fact that she could hear the second and third crystals just beginning to sing as well. She knew she'd have to tell him about it once she was done eating in case he didn't hear them. For the moment though she was going to see just how many of the crystals she could put to singing. Already it was clear that the results had Joseph's interest as he continued to focus on the tiny crystal and its song.

“Maria. This is. This is just amazing. I can't wait to tell the others. Do you have any ideal what this means?”

“Mmo.”

Now Joseph was made to grin as he looked at Maria for a moment and noticed her still stuffing herself. “It means that it shouldn't be impossible for you and your sisters to use magic. At least it shouldn't be impossible to begin teaching you to use certain types of magic at least. I'll have to speak with some of the mages about this but this could have truly profound implications. It means that your body isn't absorbing every last bit of mystic energy it encounters but rather it depends on what's in the environment.”

“What do you mean it's not impossible for us to use magic?” As Maria spoke she couldn't hide the shock in her voice and for a moment she forgot to continue eating.

“We'll talk about it later.”

***************************************************************************************************

“What!” Mirin couldn't hide the surprise on his face as he found himself looking at Joseph. Dan had joined the two of them and seemed surprised as well though not as much.

“I did a test with Maria in which I had her eat until she couldn't stand to eat any longer. While I was doing the test I had several crystals setting in the area as well as a solution that released a small amount of mystic energy. After Maria had eaten enough the first second and even third crystals were made to begin singing. Maria told me that she also heard the fourth just beginning to sing. I had chosen the crystals so that the first and second could easily be made to respond with just the energy coming from the solution. However, the third crystal would have needed a little extra mystic energy to cause it to respond. Though it's possible this energy could have come from me I doubt that. The fact that the fourth crystal was beginning to respond though almost guarantees that some of the energy was coming from Maria.”

“What do you mean almost guarantees Joseph?” As Dan spoke he took a few steps closer to his friend as if to make sure he heard him correctly.

“I wasn't able to hear the fourth crystal singing. Rather Maria was the one that told me and whenever I placed my hand on the crystal I felt if vibrating. Though to be honest I was so excited that could have been my hand shaking.”

Now Mirin took in a deep breath as he looked at Joseph. He trusted Joseph as an alchemist and his methods but everything he knew told him this wasn't true. Could it be that a more powerful energy source then the solution had passed by their home and caused the response. “Well before we get too excited. Would you mind if we did the experiment again with different sisters? Just to be certain.”

“I believe that would be wise.”

“Joseph I have to tell you I'm finding this very hard to believe. However, I have to admit that I haven't conducted such an experiment myself. If what you're telling me does prove to be true it could mean a great change in our understanding of our sisters. However, there is a problem.”

“We're over stretched.”

“Yes. Even with as important as the work you and Dan are doing right now we can't devote extra man power to help you. We don't have the resources to begin looking into this either despite what it may mean. I hope you'll understand if we can't act on your findings immediately.”

“It's quite understandable. However, once me and Dan finish with our work I would like to begin looking into this myself.”

“That should be fine. How are your efforts going anyway?”

Now Dan spoke up. “The solution that will form the crystals is being produced but we still haven't finished with all the glyphs. We also ran into a problem.”

“Which is?”

“Certain portions of the transfer system have so much energy flowing into them it may prove overwhelming. We've responded by designing new paths however that changes the entire glyph which requires even more work. We strengthen those portions that we can without modifying them but it's time consuming.”

“That isn't surprising. Joseph, Dan the actual drawing of the glyph doesn't require the hands of a mage or alchemist. How about I have a few sisters lend you a hand?”

“Aren't they all occupied at this moment?”

“Some are less busy then others. Joseph, Dan you've both met Tera and Nora right?”

For a moment Joseph's mind went back to the two sisters who had him help with their clothing designs so long ago. It was actually an awkward moment. “Yeah I remember them.”

“They've been helping with the protection of the village for the most part but having them hasten your work seems more important now and I believe they can be trusted to keep quiet. They've also had experience working with very intricate designs. If you want I'll send them to work with you.”

“That would be useful. If we're working on speeding this up though why don't we just have Maria help out?”

“I'm sorry Joseph but we need Maria as an information carrier and scout for a moment. Unless she's willing to use her personal time there is little we can do.”

“Alright.”

***************************************************************************************************

As Maria kept her body low to the ground she had to be careful to keep her claws extended and steady as she carved the complex figure into the stone.  A small dust cloud was actually able to be seen forming behind Maria as she moved about. From time to time glancing behind herself to check her progress then quickly refocusing on what was in front of her. She could see Joseph and Dan moving behind her sweeping as they went. Both of them seemed to be grinning from ear to ear. “I hope I'm doing this right.”

“You're doing wonderfully Maria!” As Joseph called out he glanced over at Dan. “I can't believe she remembered the design so well after such a short period of time.”

“Well she studied it for a solid thirty minutes and tried making several copies so it shouldn't be surprising. You have to keep in mind that they really don't think like we do especially whenever they're running. I mean here we believe we're the smart ones but they're just wow. The average sister processes information at least three times faster then we do and that Maria of yours is even faster then that. So what was only thirty minutes of hard studying to her would have taken us several hours.”

“That's a thought alright but even then with a few hours this is really impressive.”

“You do realize that if your theory is right and they can learn to use magic they'll surpass us before long. Right?”

“Would that be so bad?”

“It makes me wonder what I'll do for a job.”

“Mm I guess you'll just have to be Mina's boy toy and earn your living through pleasure.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he shook his head. “Well that doesn't sound too terrible but I'd rather have a purpose beyond that. Damn is she ever fast.”

“I believe she's already done more work then either of us since we started in here.”

“Hey you two speed it up the dust is building up and it's threatening to make me lose traction since you wont' let me use the claws on my feet. This design is kind of pretty by the way. Is that intentional or just how things work out?”

“Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that's pretty much how it works out Maria.” As Joseph was speaking he began to work faster to clean up the dust. “There have been theories if there is some connection between mystic energies and whatever spark of imagination leads to art but really we can't be certain. I'm of the mind set though that whenever something is designed to perform properly beauty naturally follows. Your body is a wonderfully effective killing machine after all and quite lovely.”

“Ah! Thanks! I have to say though your human body looks a lot better then it performs.”

“Gee how sweet of you.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she withdrew her claw and looked towards the far wall. Joseph and Dan had hanged the design for the glyph on the wall in case she had to take a moment and reference what she was doing. The  diagram was far too distant for it to be useful to human eyes but it was fine for hers. After a few seconds of examining the diagram she resumed her work.

Dan couldn't help but shake his head as he watched Maria working. “We should have done this in the first place. At this rate Maria will have the main body of the diagram finished in a few hours and we'll just have to work on the finer details such as the junctions. This is going to save us weeks if not months. We could have already been finished with this part of the project if we'd asked for her help sooner.”

“I don't know about that Dan. I really haven't had much free time to help out this past week or the energy to do so. If it hadn't been for Joseph's little project I don't know if I would have the energy right now. Oh but tomorrow is going to be such a pain in the tail.” As she was speaking Maria couldn't help but think about how she should be sleeping at this moment. Tomorrow she would be expected to go scouting and probably have some messages to deliver. However, one day of being tired was worth it she felt if she could help Joseph finish his project more quickly. “Once I'm done with this what do you have to do next though?”

Joseph chose to answer Maria before Dan. “Once you're done with this we'll have to connect the glyphs together so that the energy will flow freely. Then we'll have to fill the channels with the crystalline solution and let the crystals form.”

“That is after we insure that the channel are all clean.”

“Yeah. Won't that be fun?”

“How do you plan to tend to that?”

“We're hopping to have a mage help us wash out the channels. It shouldn't take them very long even if they have other tasks to tend to. This will come after Dan and I have cut the finer details into the glyph though. There isn't really any point in cleaning the channels out until then.”

Maria gave a quick nod and continued to focus on the tasks before. As she moved she had to be careful not to push her claw too deeply into the stone or she'd risk widening it too much. Joseph and Dan had been fairly exact on how they wanted the glyph to be cut into the stone. As she looked back at her work though she couldn't help but believe there had to be some mistakes in the glyph. Cutting something so massive was hard to do without making a single mistake especially given how quickly she was working. “You're going to have this looked over aren't you?”

Joseph couldn't nod or reply quickly enough to Maria's question. “Oh yes. Without a doubt yes. We're going to have this glyph checked over at least three times once we're finished before we begin anything else. Once we poor the solution into the glyph we really don't want to risk finding an error it would be well nightmarish.”

“How come?”

“It's the solution. Once it has formed into a crystal breaking it would be horrible as it wouldn't mean just removing a small section. In order to properly treat a damaged region we'd have to cut out a massive chunk to insure there were now flaws inside of the crystal. It would be nightmarish as even in cutting the crystal to remove a crack there is a risk of causing additional cracking.”

For a moment Maria said nothing but looked around at the tree which were growing all around her. The life bloom had been doing well though there were still several vacant areas where the plant hadn't been placed yet or began to grow. Hopefully those would be filled soon enough. Thoughts of growing larger began to move into her head once again as well as what that would mean. The last time she had been intimate with Joseph she'd injured him despite her intentions. She didn't want to do that again and knew she would need to speak with her mother. After all she was roughly the same size as what her mother had been for a long time.

What would happen if they grew larger though? Maria's mind was immediately made to turn to Sora. She'd been with Mirin many times there was no doubt about that. She'd be able to give some advice. “Joseph how long do you believe it'll be until this entire room is filled with trees?”

“That will be a while yet Maria. The life bloom grows quickly but this place is massive. Are you already looking forward to have more on your diet?”

“Of course. Are you looking forward to being bopped by even bigger breasts?”

“Hm well as long as they don't send me on a trip to the healer or grave I would say so.”

“Well don't you go worrying about that trip to the grave or healer. I'll figure out how to work this body of mine yet.”

It was tempting to tell Maria that he hoped that wouldn't be by experimenting on him but Joseph held his tongue. He didn't want to make Maria believe he didn't trust her. Despite that he didn't have any intentions of jumping into bed with the same eagerness they had only recently. He didn't want to get bruised up quite that badly after all. His thoughts turned to how Maria worried about his safety though and he felt confident that she would do what was needed to insure she didn't hurt him like that again.

Dan, “You know Maria. You could always speak with my Mina about such things. She might even be able to give you better advice then your mother as she has a mutation the same as you.”

“That's true. Still, I believe I should speak with my mother first. I know she doesn't have a mutation but well she's my mom and I'd feel a bit more comfortable asking her.”

***************************************************************************************************

“Phinila this really isn't necessary. I'm fine.”

“You stink of blood Desmon and it isn't animal blood.” As she was speaking Phinila continued to scrub away at Desmon attempting to get the scent to leave him.

“What's the big deal? It's my blood after all.”

“No. It isn't. I can smell Mirin's blood on you as well and we have to get it off if you want your activities to stay unknown. I swear I should have you go bear just so I can smack you around properly.”

“You can tell who's blood it is?”

“Yes. You're lucky you didn't get into serious trouble smelling like that you know. I can't believe you waited this long to come back here and didn't get more attention.” As Phinila was speaking she found it hard to keep her anger in check. While she cared for Desmon and trusted him for him to behave so foolishly was hard for her to take. In all truth truth though her concern for him only made her angrier as she continued to try to remove the scent.

“Phinila you're starting to remove skin.”

“Then you can grow more. It's easier then regrowing a head.”

A sigh escaped Desmon as he bit down on his lip and continued to endure the washing. “Do you believe Pera will be okay?”

“Yes. I just hope she thinks we're having sex and doesn't realize I'm trying to wash blood off of you. Otherwise it's going to be a lot harder to explain.”

Instead of responding Desmon went silent and glanced over at the hand on his shoulder. Desmon's primary animal shape was that of a bear. A form which granted great size, power and fortitude. This bleed through into his human body making him abnormally large. Coupled with his life style and he had quite a sturdy build. Yet compared to Phinila he felt positively tiny and she was only a guardian. They were much bigger ones. He knew this but as he looked at her hand the point was driven home more clearly then it had ever been. The rough treatment he was getting from those hands didn't really help matters either. “I'm sorry that I didn't protect them better.”

“Do you think that's the reason I'm upset!” As she spoke Phinila grabbed Desmon and quickly spun him around so that he was facing her.

The sudden action had caught Desmon off guard and for a moment he went silent as he looked up into her eyes. “Is isn't!”

“No, you idiot! I'm upset because I'm worried about your safety! Desmon you're not my mate but I do care for you.” A long sigh escaped Phinila as she closed her eyes and placed a hand on her forehead for a moment to wait for the throbbing to stop. “Just don't talk. I'll just channel this anger into washing you and we can talk once I no longer smell blood on you.”

“Until that anger is gone? You're going to end up skinning me if you wash until then.”

“Well then maybe you won't do something so stupid again.”

Despite the entire situation Desmon couldn't help but chuckle as he was once again turned around and Phinila resumed her efforts to clean him off. Despite the pain he could feel a warmth inside of his chest that seemed to radiated outward and diminish the pain. At least it diminished the pain until Phinila found a spot she decided to scrub particularly hard. During those spots he gritted his teeth and thought about how the pain meant she cared for him. “You're a good friend to Phinila Ehh!”

***************************************************************************************************

“I see. So that's why Joseph was all beaten up a few days ago. The poor thing. You must have been tossing him around like a rag doll.”

“He didn't show any signs of distress though. I mean I was listening and he didn't say anything or even scream.”

“No doubt. He was probably quite lost in the moment as where you. Oh Maria.” A sigh escaped Flora as a massive grin formed on her face. “Where to even begin. I suppose the first thing I should tell you is most brothers will let you know whenever you've seriously injured them. Few brothers could handle a broken bone and not scream especially during something like sex when it'd be likely to get far worse if they held the pain in. That said bruising can be another issue and while they might not notice it during the sex they will afterwords and if it happens enough they'll become more reluctant.”

“I don't want Joseph to become reluctant though!”

A sharp chuckle escaped Flora as she heard the passion in her daughter's voice.  “Now sweet heart there is no need to get quite that worked up. The first advice I can give you Maria is pacing. You recently increased your size a great deal and you jumped strait into a full on sexual encounter with Joseph. You didn't give yourself time to experiment with your new size and see how your passions would work out. You really needed to start with some gentle playing around before you went all the way again. That's one of my biggest pieces of advice.”

“I know. I was just so darn horny though.”

“I know that feeling. Now if you can't stand to wait and test your body's new traits then what you need to do is work to retrain yourself as much as possible. Now did you grab Joseph at any time during your love making?”

“Yeah. I took hold of his shoulder.”

“Don't do that.  Now I'm not saying that you can't touch him but you're not to grab him. If you're worried about his stability you may loosely wrap your tail around them but don't apply any force and make sure you keep it under control. Though that's a bit risky in itself. Using your hand to take hold of him during such times though is a major no no.”

“I was worried he might fall off though.”

“Maria if you're worried that you might throw your mate off of you then you should realize that you're bouncing him too hard and holding him still just means more of that force is damaging his body.”

“That's true.”

“At least this way if you do end up throwing him off you know you're putting too much force into it. The major thing whenever you're not certain of your body's performance though is to let him take the lead. Joseph cares about you Maria and he'll see to your pleasure as well. He'll probably even see to it before his own. So there is no need for you to try to squeeze your pleasure out of him.”

“So I should just lay there like a log?”

“Oh heavens no! I said you can't grab him I didn't say that you couldn't interact. They're several encouraging touches that don't involve restraining your mate after all. Though you have to be careful. Some brothers are more adventurous then others and some don't like certain types of attention. I remember this one time I started to use my”

“Stop! Stop stop!” A sigh escaped Maria as she looked at her mother. “I don't believe I want to hear the wrest of that story.”

A slight chuckle escaped  Flora as she looked at her daughter. “Well suit yourself. You could always try it out on Joseph and see how he responded.”

“I don't believe so. Let's just get back to the information to insure I don't send Joseph to the healer while we're making love.”

Chapter 24 by happiest_in_shadows

“Okay. So tell me do you have a tendency to lock up or embrace Joseph during orgasm?”

“Well a little. I mean I like to wrap my legs around him. I guess I need to stop that?”

“Until you learn some more control yes. Now what I would suggest is that whenever you realize you're about to release that you take hold of your own hands and hold them above your head to insure that you don't take hold of him. You might want to try locking your ankles together as well though. Another possibility is if you can drive your legs into the ground instead of locking them around him. Just make sure you push them into the ground and don't throw yourself into the air. That can take some getting used to.”

“I'm suppose to remember that in the throws of passion?”

“Well that's why I suggested you start off slowly at first. Eventually it will become second nature and the experience will be a lot safer for Joseph. Another option though I recommend saving it for special times is to have Joseph drink a potion of bark skin or even stone. If you can't restrain yourself you can increase his ability to endure some abuse.”

“Oh that would be nice! It'd be something of a problem whenever he didn't have such a potion though wouldn't it?”

“Indeed. Your body may forget that he's currently not augmented by a potion and instead of ending the experience with a lover you end it with two halves of one.”

“Mom that's an exaggeration!”

“OH you don't believe you could snap him in half during a moment of passion?” As she spoke Flora took a step forward so that she was looking down into her daughter's eyes. She then reached down and took hold of Maria's thighs. “Maria you have more muscle in this leg then Joseph has in most of his body and a lot more strength. You really don't think in a moment of passion you could squeeze him too tightly and break him in half?”

“I would never do that to him!”

“Just like you'd never beat the day lights out of him to get yourself off?”

“Of course not!”

“Then why did you?”

“Huh?” For a moment understanding left Maria as she looked at her mother. Her mouth opened but no words came out and she turned her eyes towards the ground.

“Now Maria I know that you didn't hurt him on purpose but you still injured him. Don't forget that again.”

“I won't.”

“That's good.  Now let me tell you about some of the fun things you can do with him now. You're not quite the same size I was when I was a keeper but you're getting there so you should be able to have some fun. One thing I really suggest you do is have Joseph try to climb you while you use your tail to defend yourself. Now don't push him but try tickling him and getting into his intimate areas. You'll have to be a bit more aggressive then I was since you're smaller but it can be great fun.”

“Um mom we don't really need to.”

“None sense. I told you that you could still interact with him just not take hold of him so I need to tell you how exactly.”

“Mom that's really not necessary.”

“Now let's see here. Oh I know. Have you tried giving Joseph a chest ride?”

“A what?”

“A chest ride.” As she spoke Flora folded bot her arms underneath her chests so that she was pushing up on her massive breasts. “This is something only the bigger sisters can do but what you do is you place your mate or bed time partner atop your breasts and then fold your arms under them to give support. At least you do if you need the extra muscle to support their weight. Then they take hold of the sides of your head or ears and you take their penis into your mouth. You then give them a ride.” With the word ride Flora gave her breasts a quick push causing them to bounce considerably. “You've got to be careful not to throw them off but most brothers I know love it. You haven't given Joseph one yet?”

“No! I haven't!” As she responded Maria couldn't help but blush as she stared at her mother.

“Well now that you're large enough you're going to have to give him one. Though perhaps you should work on your coordination and control a bit first. I mean you do have to be careful about your teeth.”

“Mom! Can we talk about something else?”

“Hm then again. You're not the four meters tall that this normally calls for and.” As she spoke Flora bent at the waste slightly and took a good look at her daughter's chest. “I'm not certain if you're quite large enough just yet.”

“Mom I swear I'm going to claw you if you keep this up!”

It was impossible for flora to keep from giggling as she looked at her daughter. “Oh well alright. I guess that's enough advice from your mother for now.”

A long sigh escaped Maria. She could still feel herself blushing though her fur hid this fact from her mother's eyes. She felt certain her heart beat was giving it away though. “Mom you've done some kinky stuff in your time.”

“Oh Maria you don't know the half of it. There was this one”

“Mom! I wasn't bluffing.”

“Fine fine. Still if you ever need to know something to spice up things a bit between you and Joseph let me know. You know I had to get a lot of experience in order to have two daughters.”

As Maria was listening to Flora she was already beginning to think she should have asked Mina about these matters. After all while Flora had been a good mother she never had a mate and didn't seem interested in one. Mina on the other hand had been settled down with Dan for several years now. “I”ll keep that in mind.”

“Oh Maria. If Joseph doesn't feel comfortable with your ears you can always braid. Ow! Maria that wasn't nice.”

It was impossible for Maria to keep from glaring at her mother as she retracted her claws. While she normally wouldn't have scratched her mother she had given Flora warning enough several times over. The fact that her mother was already beginning to giggle took away any feelings of guilt as well “You. Are. Impossible.”

***************************************************************************************************

Maria didn't know what to think as she dashed through the forest. Currently she was on her way to check on the tainted land they'd recently cleansed and check into any further activity. It was a strange situation though. Despite learning that the spirit's movements in the shadow realm were controlled by the movements of the kobolds in the physical world the tainted lands were appearing at very unusual locations. There was no clear pattern or even anything that looked like a pattern forming and it was proving frustrating. There should have at least been several desecrated areas leading to and connecting the given locations they could follow but there just wasn't.

Was this the spirits doing? Perhaps it was having the kobolds taint random areas so that it's true movements couldn't  be seen. It would have been reasonable considering the hunt for them. However, the brothers seemed confident that the spirit hadn't even stepped into those regions of the shadow realm between the desecrated sights. It was proving quite frustrating for everyone.

Ziphod  sat quickly with his winged wrapped around himself. A small cut upon his wrist allowed his blood to flow out while he spoke just under his breath the whole time listening to the forest around him. He had to be careful to listen to his surroundings as he recited the chant which would allow his master to step foot on the ground. This brought a smile to creatures face revealing a set of razor sharp teeth. The creature had clearly be conditioned to feed on flesh. His smile went away though as he heard the sound of a branch bending more then it should have and he glanced behind himself.

Maria couldn't believe what she was seeing. The creature looked to be a kobold though it was clearly larger then one. It's head reminded her that of a hairless rat's as did its ears which pivoted and moved about even as he looked at her. In its right hand it clutched a dagger though she doubted the creature truly needed one as she looked at long yellowed claws. It's skin shown with a sheen most kobolds lacked and she could have sworn it had scales. What made the creature stand out the most though wasn't its sizes or scales but rather the wings upon its back. Her ears were struck by a harsh scream seconds later and the creature pushed off the ground.

He had been spotted. The fact slammed into Ziphod and he knew what he had to do immediately. He rushed the creature and quickly clamped his mouth together. A spark was generated as its teeth ran against one another and as the creature opened his mouth a wave of fire shot forth from it. Ziphod's wings curved into the air helping to direct the fire and seeming to push it forward even as he rose towards Maria. A sharp pain in his shoulder halted his movement though as he found himself twisting in the air and frantically beating his wings to try to regain control.

Maria didn't know what the creature truly was but it looked like a kobold and behaved like one as well. She had no trouble striking the creature as she easily evaded its attack. As her feet came to rest upon the ground though she was surprised whenever she looked up and saw the creature adjusting its wings. While she had expected her kick to send it slamming into the ground the kobold was actually beginning to regain control.. A low growl escaped Maria as she quickly pushed off the ground and picked up speed in only a few moments. Whatever this was it wasn't getting away. This time her claws extended as she moved to clip the creature's wings.

Ziphod had for a moment forgotten what he was dealing with. This wasn't some wolf or another kobold. This was their greatest enemy and for all his abilities he wasn't a match for one alone. Retreat came to his mind as he realized that it would be better to escape them allow himself to be captured for study. This thought hardly had time to form though before Ziphod felt a sharp pain in his right side and found himself falling towards the ground. Instinct took over and he began to rapidly beat his wings however he only heard the sound of one flapping.

Maria held her ground for a moment as she continued to clutch the creature's wing. She lifted it to her nose and took in a few deep breaths before quickly removing it a revolted look on her face. “You wreak of sickness.”

“Grah! Cursed creature!” Ziphod growled as he slammed into the ground and fell into a defensive stance remaining on all fours. He now realized his wing had been removed and quickly brought his tail up wrapping it around the hilt of the dagger he'd brought with him. Even as his tail worked though he once again scraped his feet together and sent another wave of fire rushing towards Maria.

“You can talk.” As the words left her mouth Maria chose not to dodge the fire but quickly slashed at it with her claws. The result was nearly immediately. The flame met her hand and the rush of wind tore the flames apart disappearing them around Maria. “Well that hardly makes this situation any better!” A low growl escaped Maria as she once again rushed towards the kobold.

Ziphod knew that Maria was going to attack him. As the kobold stood his ground though he wasn't prepared for her speed and once again pain shot throughout his body. He heard a wet slap as something hit the ground and knew immediately that a good portion of his tail had just been removed. He no longer had his dagger. “Grah!” Rage flooded the creature's mind as he quickly spun around and began to rush towards Maria.

A fire breathing kobold with wings. That wasn't a pleasant thought. As Ziphod rushed her Maria noticed something else very different. As a sister grew up she learned to tell how tough something was based on how her claws felt as she cut through it. This creature had left her claws tingling just after two swipes. What would happen after ten or a hundred? The thought wasn't a pleasant one as she slammed her foot into the creature's jaw. At least this one was still too weak to be a match for her.

Ziphod would have opened his mouth to shriek but once again his teeth were forced together. This time they didn't stop though with striking the flame but as the kick shattered his jaw his own teeth were forced up into the roof of his mouth and the flames were once again lit. This time they found little release though as they roared to life within the kobold with no path of escape searing the inside of its head and throat.

Maria was actually rather surprised whenever she saw small streaks of flame shoot out on either side of the creature's mouth. For a moment she just watched as the kobolds eyes rolled up into the back of his head, his legs were made to tremble and then he fail to the ground. A rush of energy shot throughout Maria and she considered crushing the creature's skull. Instead she took a deep breath and walked over to the kobold and picked it up. Her sisters would want to see this and her brothers would as well. For a moment she held still and listened to the creature to see if it was still alive before dashing into the forest. She thought she heard a heart beat but with such a strange creature she couldn't be certain.

***************************************************************************************************

“How is your leg doing?”

Dinon grinned as he looked up at Kelah from his seated position. “It's feeling better. The shaman really did a wonderful job on it. I could rejoin the patrol if you'd just give the word.”

“No. You just set there and continue trying to speak with the spirits and learning what's going on.” As she was speaking Kelah moved over to stand closer to Dinon and look into the tiny fire he had set before him. The flames appeared to be dancing despite the tiny nature of the flame and she felt confident that he'd been speaking with the spirit of fire he'd contracted.

“Alright but I'm sort of running out of options. We're on pretty good terms with the spirits of water and land that claim this domain and the spirits of death that have gathered don't seem interested in making deals. Then again I don't suppose they have a reason to given that they're going to get to feed no matter what. If we want any further aid we'll have to start picking sides or making better offerings.”

“I'm not ready to start picking sides amongst the spirits here just yet. We already have a battle in the physical world we don't need one in the shadows as well.”

To this Dinon gave a nod and looked down at his leg. They'd been attacked a few days ago and he'd gotten separated from the others for a few moments. A few of the water kobolds had managed to get hold of his leg and it had been looking rather ugly for a while. Some sowing the leg back together and healing from the shamans had done wonders and he already felt ready to rejoin the battle. Kelah wasn't ready to allow it just yet though so he'd been remaining at their base camp and doing what he could. “Kelah can we win this?”

“Oh! I have no ideal. I mean they're easy enough to kill one on one but they're just so damn many of them. My axes have been enjoying themselves that for certain.”

“Does that ever bother you? The fact that you're using two weapons that feed on blood?”

“I'm used to it and besides it's natural to feed on life energies. We do it whenever we eat after all. I just think of them as part of my pack.”

“Do you ever wonder about them though? I mean what if they're more then just weapons? Have you ever considered the ideal that they have a mind of their own?”

“They do.”

“Huh?”

“Well they do an extent. Whenever I slice them into an enemy I feel a satisfaction that goes beyond my own feelings or that of night fang. Whenever I clean blood from them before its been taken in I feel a hunger and an anger. Heck I have even felt that whenever I pulled them out of an enemy too quickly. In the heat of the battle I can even feel their desire to be sunk into the living and feed. Now I don't know if they're actually capable of things like planning and memory but they do have a mind even if its a basic one.”

“I see. Then do you believe that they could influence your mind as well?”

“Haven't you ever wondered why the tribe is so picky about who gets to use them?”

“I never gave it much thought. I knew I would never get to use them so I never thought about them.”

“Some say that the spirit of the dragon still holds a connection to these weapons. Others seem to believe that it's a different spirit which has taken up residence within them or perhaps the spirit was formed over the generations by each person to hold the axes. I'm not really certain. My attempts to speak with the axes have always been quite limited and I've never gotten a clear response back. Wouldn't it be interesting if the spirit inside of the axes was sleeping?”

“You mean it could go through all of this and still sleep? That would be quite a heavy sleeper indeed.”

“True but if none of this bothered the spirit just imagine what the weapons would be like once it woke up.”

“Kelah with what you just told me about how those axes make you  feel that isn't exactly a comforting thought.”

“Ah. Don't be that way.” As she spoke Kelah reached out with her right arm and gave Dinon a quick jab to the upper arm.

“I'm just saying here. If they can influence you while they're napping then they may be a bit much to handle while awake.”

“Perhaps so. So which do you believe is more likely to wake them up, not feeding them enough or feeding them too much?”

“If I knew I don't believe I'd tell you. You'd probably try to find out.”

“Now that's not being a good sport. Anyway, I'm going to get moving again there are still areas to search. Perhaps after tonight I'll be ready to let you return to patrolling the beach and forest.”

“Hey Kelah. Once this is all over do you plan on going back to the main village or are you going to stay here and help with the new village? Perhaps you could become this village's chief.”

“Mm I hadn't really given it much thought. I'm the war leader of our people I really don't believe I could perform that roll and be chief of a village at the same time even a small one. Then again the ideal of defending both villages over such a vast distance isn't exactly a comforting one. If one was attacked and I was at another village by the time I arrived it would probably be far too late.”

“That's true. I guess those orcs who choose to live here will have to have a chief and defender of their own.”

“I suppose so. Are you thinking about applying for the job?”

“No thanks. I don't believe I'd like the responsibility.”

“I believe you'd make a good chief.”

***************************************************************************************************

“Well this ranks pretty high on the list of things I didn't want to see.” As he was speaking Mirin lifted the still attached wing of the kobold in order to get a better look at it.

“I'm sorry I killed it. I just thought my kick would knock it out.”

Carter placed a hand on Maria's shoulder as he spoke. “That's alright Maria. You didn't know what this thing was or that you needed to be a little more gentle with it. Just the fact that you found this thing and brought it back is rather important. Mirin do you believe this could be how that area of the protected zone became tainted?”

“That's not a pleasant thought but it is possible. Damn it. They're making a new type of kobold no wonder they needed a mage..”

Carter, “Still to do this in such a short time period.  Not only the short time period of development but it's already an adult.”

Mirin, “We don't know how long the time of development might have been. This could have been in the works for decades and the mage was the final piece. If development only began after the mage was obtained though this is a truly frightening thought. Maria this is the only one you saw?”

“Yes.”

Mirin, “I suppose we'll have to tell our sisters to start look to the skies above the trees now as well. Exactly how strong would you say these things are Maria?”

“Honestly slicing through steel plate armor doesn't bother me as much as this thing did. It's skin is remarkably tough. Also it's sent sort of reminds me of a dragons then again that might just be my mind playing tricks on me from the way it breathed fire.”

Mirin, “Let's hope that they can't reproduce like kobolds can as well. Maria I want you to tell me everything you can about this creature including its fighting abilities. Carter take this thing to the rest of the others and tell them to get to work  examining it.”

“Who should get to work examining it? It's not like anyone has any free time. Everyone is either recovering from work or busy working on something.”

“Whoever can spare the time to investigate a threat we know nothing about.”

***************************************************************************************************

Kersara took in a deep breath as she looked at Maria and organized her thoughts. “Maria that is not good news.”

“I know. According to our brothers the creatures skin is as tough as a basilisk's armored hide. It's not exactly a problem for our claws but in large enough numbers well. They also report that its claws seem to release a rather noteworthy paralytic toxin not to mention their ability to breath fire and fly. They're really something else.”

“Have you warned the orcs about this yet?”

“Mirin actually had me go warn them first as they're the most vulnerable. He then sent me here to warn you and the others.   After I'm done here I'm going to have to run down as many druids as I can. How have things been going here?”

“We're holding up pretty well. The attacks seem to come at random though I believe it's based on how long it takes them to rebuild their numbers for a push. Nothing anywhere near the difficulty of the first day of fighting has happened though since we managed to set up a strong defensive position.  Kelah keeps reminding us that we're facing an enemy that we can't truly see though and that we can't relax.”

“The orc war leader?”

“Yeah. I have to say for an orc she's kind of frightening whenever I see her on the battlefield. I guess they're some that can move beyond their frail bodies.”

“Coming from you that's really something else. Last I checked you'd labeled some of us as frail.”

Kersara couldn't help but grin as she gave a nod. “Well some of our sisters do rely far too much on our natural abilities and don't really push themselves. At least you like to go for a good run every day.”

“I imagine some of them do wish they'd taken conditioning their bodies more serious. Anyway that's all I know about these new things for the moment. That said let's hope that the one I found and killed is the only one of them.”

“Maria I don't believe we have that luxury.”

“You're probably right. I guess we weren't the only ones that decided we needed to increase our combat strength. Now we're just going to have to do our best and find out who's increase theirs the most and the fastest. Let's just not make the mistake of only relying upon our brothers. We have brains of our own and we can better ourselves just as well even if we can't increase our size.”

“Hm I wonder if Kelah would be willing to teach me a few fighting techniques of hers.”

***************************************************************************************************

As the clear liquid poured into the channel Joseph couldn't help but grin as it began to spread. He turned his attention to Dan for a moment he seemed to be smiling just as much as he was. “So I hope this stuff actually can handle all the energy that's going to be flowing through her once it is filled with the bloom.”

“You're not the only one but according to our test and calculations it should be able to handle triple what it will be dealing with so we should be fine. Hey Joseph have you considered what sisters will be receiving their shapers first?”

“Honestly I don't believe that's going to be our call. It seems more likely that will be up to the other ranks though we may all get to cast a vote on it. Why do you ask?”

“It's just something that I've been thinking about. Who do you believe should receive the first shapers?”

“Well your Mina seems like a good choice. She's both a keeper and mutated so that she's more powerful then normal. Also as she's staying in the village area now she's also closer to the system.”

“Yeah. Mina gets chosen to enjoy a lot of benefits these days though I do feel she's earned every one of them. What about your Maria though? She's still technically a guardian after all.”

For a moment Joseph said nothing but looked back down at the solution. “I would really appreciate it if she was chosen to receive one of the first shapers. She isn't a keeper but she has earned her way back up to guardian and she's got quite a powerful mutation herself. She's also been a lot of help lately and has been really good about staying on her diet. I mean the only time she put on an additional height it was my fault.”

“I really believe Maria would be a keeper by now if she hadn't made a mistake in the past but then again if she had then she wouldn't be so fast. She would also have around twenty years of living experience on you. How do you think you'd feel about that?”

“Honestly if Maria hadn't made her mistake in the past I don't even know if I would have approached her. After all one of the reasons I tried to cure her is I believed that she was a child. Then again I'm not certain if it would have made a difference. Maria had to know that I was there after all. I kind of doubt that she would have just let me turn and sneak away especially with those guards after me.”

“You're probably right. You might have ended up as a claimed like I did in the beginning though.”

“Yeah but that means you would have learned about the life bloom sooner. After all, last I heard the claimed don't have rights to such property here.”

“No they don't. Your notes would have been taken from you and used to redevelop the life bloom. I don't know if they could have done it without your skill but then again they might have.”

“So this garden might have been even bigger by now and the sisters would have been better off. I wonder what Maria would be like then. You know she takes a lot of pride in her speed though she doesn't boast of it often or well I wouldn't say she really boast she has fun with it.”

“I know. Anyone who watches Maria knows that her speed isn't entirely the mutation. I've seen how she looks after she comes back from a good run.”

“What has you thinking about who will be receiving the first shapers though?”

“Well. I was just thinking about the distrusted and this whole system. I mean I believe Mina deserves what she's gained and so does Maria but they're always chosen to be the first. Thus the best always get better while everyone else stays the same or gets worse at least for a while that's how it is. I can't help but think others have noticed this and probably become frustrated by it.”

“I suppose but it wouldn't be fair to those who worked the hardest to watch the least enjoy the benefits of their efforts either.”

“Well that is true as well. I just wonder about the distrusted is all and when I think about my child I can't help but ask some questions. Mostly I wonder if their father had been a bigger part in their lives would they have turned out the way they did. I know that I plan to be there for my child whether the child is a boy or girl.”

“I really don't know the answer to that question and I doubt anyone does. How many of the distrusted were the children of claimed though?”

“I'm not certain. I imagine a great many where though. I wonder if it's wise to allow a sister that would rape a claimed for her pleasure to raise a child at times. After all wouldn't that be the one that's most likely to turn up as a distrusted?”

“Who can say? Perhaps it's the children of brothers who aren't ever there for their daughter who end up as distrusted. After all unlike the claimed their parent has little reason not to spend time with them. Their father is already an accepted member of the society after all and has far more free time then any claimed most likely.”

“You have a point there.  Actually, I wonder if anyone has ever taken the time to ask where the father was in the life of the distrusted and find out for certain. It may reveal something. It might reveal something that a few don't want to know about. That's actually quite a thought there Joseph. Then again I suppose you've already asked a few questions none of the brothers thought to ask before.”

“Yeah but this one might get a lot of people angry at me.”

“Wouldn't it be best to know which one it is. After all, even if a brother and sister aren't mates if they have a child together I don't see why the father shouldn't be there. Just letting the mother take the responsibility even if she feel it's fine just isn't right.”

“Do you believe Stella would agree with you? She seems quite content to raise Allen on her own. I suppose the fact that our sisters have nearly limitless stamina helps in that though. No running one of them to the point of exhaustion.”

“Even if the mother doesn't believe anything is wrong that doesn't mean it's okay for the father not to be there for the child.”

“You mean in the case of a brother.”

For a moment Dan said nothing but looked at Joseph. He then let out a rather noteworthy sigh. “Joseph I really hate the claimed system to be honest with you. These past few weeks though I've began hating the fact that a claimed if lucky enough to get a sister pregnant can choose to leave and not even try to take care of their child or children. Not only are they allowed to leave but they're given a safe escort out of the forest. It might be good for keeping the sisters numbers up but it's not fair to the child.”

“I wonder if those men even view their children as just that. Many of them may view them as monsters considering the mother. Many of them may be just having sex with a sister to help conceive a child to regain their freedom with no thought on the well being of the child. Are you sure that's the type of person you want playing parent to a child?”

“No. That doesn't excuse our brothers.”

Now it was Joseph's turn to think and nod. “Yes I agree with that. Once again though we can't just assume that every brother who doesn't have a mate leaves it up to the sister to raise the child. This is the type of thing you don't want to risk making assumptions on after all. I guess thoughts of your own child has you pretty torn up whenever it comes to such matters though.”

“Like you wouldn't believe. I actually got kind of pissed off thinking about Desmon earlier. The thought of how he left to continue his druid training and how rarely he came to see Pera. It just really made me upset. Especially considering how Pera looks up to him.” 

For a moment Joseph said nothing but turned his attention towards the solution filling the channels. “Dan would you mind starting work further down the channel? I'm about empty and we don't want to risk a void forming.”

“Sure. Is something on your mind though you sounded distracted just now?”

“Why should Desmon have to give up his druidic training whenever a sister and her mother could easily be comfortable in the forest living in his environment?”

“Well because it's just that.” For a moment Dan found himself going silent and looking at Joseph. “Okay you have me there and I suppose he didn't entirely abandon Pera. He was actually quite active in her life for the first few years from what I know and his visits became less frequent as time went on. I guess she could have tracked him down just as easily as he could have came and visited her at that point though.”

“So as long as the father was active in her life perhaps during the first five years? How much could you really put off on him? After all it's not like the brothers are out of reach to the sisters. They're actually quite available.”

“Yeah. Yeah that's a fair point. Still, those first few years are important for being there.”

“On that I agree entirely. Still be careful Dan. You don't want to risk smothering your daughter after all and for a moment there you sounded like you were liable to.”

“Yeah I should be careful about that or she's liable to end up smothering me. Did you know that it can be a real issue if a sister proves too attached to her father while young?”

“I can think of a few reasons for that but do you have any horror stories for me?”

“Well there was one case I learned about in which a one year old sister went looking for her father while no one was looking. She ended up effectively clawing the front door open and wondering off. It caused a huge stir because the mother only learned about where the child had gotten off to whenever she was found with the father at the library.”

“Oh that doesn't sound good. Was he hurt?”

“He was fine. He was a natural born brother and knew how to handle a little sister. He'd pretty much gotten her off to sleep but the mother. Well from what I know she got one heck of a chewing out and there was even talk about giving the child to a more experienced parent.”

“Did they?”

“No. She was young and it was forgiven as an honest mistake that was brought on by the inexperience of youth. Well she wasn't given any direct punishment to my knowledge. I'm about out of solution here Joseph would you begin work on the next area?”

“Sure. I guess you don't make a mistake like that here without having some social issues.”

“You don't. You most assuredly don't.”

***************************************************************************************************

Mirin didn't like what he was looking at. The trees before him were sickened and twisted their branches seemed to have been hardened and formed into spikes and their roots seemed to be trying to rip themselves free from the blackened earth. There was an odd smell in the air that nearly made him gag and he covered his nose as he looked at the area. He knew for certain that the kobolds had been here and moved over the area in great numbers. “This is disturbing.”

Desmon didn't speak with words right away but let lose a low growl as he looked at the sickened plants. “We are nearing our destination.”

“Desmon can you tell me what happened to these trees?”

“Their spirits have been killed and drained away by the amalgam most likely and the spirits of death  but not entirely.  They're kept just barely alive and wrapped in these shells so that they may endure a little longer and their passing in the physical world won't be known quite as soon. Mirin I must ask you and your brothers to burn this area. Light it all aflame.”

To this Mirin gave a nod. “I do not know how such a large fire will behave in this world Desmon. Would you have us burn them now?”

“Yes. Use the flame as a blade to cut deeply into our enemies. Push the flames forward.”

For a moment Mirin was silent and then gave a nod. “Brothers direct your fire to me. Carter, Midon your magics will be added to mine and we will create the flames. Everyone else you are to help direct the flames into the enemy territory. Desmon if you could help it would be appreciated.”

To this Desmon gave a nod and turned to the trees. “This is all that I can do for you. You will be free of this creatures clutches and may life once again claim this area.”

“Nurturer, destroyer, guiding light and devourer, purifier come to my hands. Let your touch engulf all that stands before me and may your grasp be tightened as they fall.” As Mirin spoke the words helped to direct his energies calling together his power and that of Carter and Mildon. The energy began to focus in the staff before him which soon began to glow red with the gathering energy. The crimson energy grew more intense and brighter until it began to sway about and dance with the words and the sound of crackling could soon be heard. While a simple fire spell would have required no words from Mirin this was not such a simple spell. “Infernal roar!”

While Mirin had been speaking Desmon had been bracing himself to help direct the flames. As the energy took form though he found the energies pushing with an aggression he hadn't been prepared for. The shriek from the flames reminded him of a banshees and the light was nearly blinding. There was a moment that the heat seemed to reach him and then the fire surged forward into the tainted lands. A bright light radiated out from somewhere within the tainted land and he felt a surge of heated air slam into his face with such ferocity that he could have sworn he felt his skin drying and cracking while his eye brows tried to curl up.

Mirin took in a deep breath as he raised an arm to wipe the sweat from his brow. He took a moment to look towards the flames as they rapidly spread engulfing the trees and gave a slight whistle. “That wasn't suppose to happen.”

Now Desmon turned his attention to Mirin instead of the fire. “What!”

“For a moment there I thought the spell would engulf us if you all hadn't been pushing it would have. That was far more powerful then it should have been.”

Instead of responding right away Desmon looked towards the trees and noted how rapidly the fire was spreading. “It's the spirits. They want their imprisonment and torment to end. They were lending the flames strength.”

“How dare you!”

Mirin couldn't help but cringe as the words slammed into him seemingly with a power of their own. The ground beneath his feet seemed to shift but he didn't turn his gaze in that direction. Rather he noted a massive black form leaping over the flames to land before them. As the creature slammed down upon the earth Mirin could have sworn he heard the earth beneath its feet crack and the massive creature stood up to its full height.  The creature stood at least six meters tall and was covered in jet black fur except for its eyes, teeth and claws. Its features were most assuredly feline and female except for several tendrils that extended out from its massive body. As the creature released another roar though Mirin found it had more then one set of teeth. Several mouths throughout the creature's body were made to open up.

“Damn they captured one!”

“Desmon what is that thing?”

“It's one of the spirits of protection from your village! They must have captured her and tainted her.” Even as Desmon was speaking he'd braced himself and moved to the front of the mages to meet the creatures glare. As he did so though he could already feel the beast's power.

For a moment Mirin didn't know what to say as he turned and looked at the spirit. As their eyes met he had to ask. “What's your name?”

A low growl escaped the spirit as she looked at Mirin. Avora knew that the enemy had been approaching but she hadn't expected them to make such an entrance. Now her forest was on fire and she could feel the rage building up inside of her. “I'll consume you all for what you've done!”

Desmon wasn't surprised whenever the spirit lunged towards them instead of answering Mirin. Immediately he moved to intercept the spirit releasing a feral roar as he leaped towards her. Pain met him as one of her tendrils struck him in the side seemingly in an attempt to deflect his attack. Rather then let himself be pushed aside though Desmon opened his mouth and sunk his teeth deeply into the tendrils. The creature released a violent hiss and he immediately lashed out at her with his claws using the hold of his mouth to give him some more leverage as she clawed away at the creature. This being had the form of one of the sisters but she wasn't one.

While Avora had intended to kill the mage who had spoken to her first clearly the bear wanted her attention. Feeling the creatures claws sink into her she gave the druid her attention and moved to impale him with her tendrils. As the blackened extensions rushed towards him though they were met by sudden resistance and a brilliant light surrounded Desmon and stopped the attacks. Immediately she turned her gaze back to the mages to find that they'd taken on a different stance. The five of them now stood in a star formation each one of them chanting. She didn't know who had cast that spell but they were clearly back on her list. “Get off me creature!”

While the shield had saved him from the first attack Desmon could help but note a sudden rush of energy and a loud snap as the barrier failed. He felt the creature shiver as if breaking the barrier had injured it but then he felt her claws slam solidly into his side. To his delight he didn't release his hold on her though pain surged through his body. To his dismay though he found himself rolling across the ground having torn away a chunk of her.

A cry of pain escaped Avora even as she rushed towards the mages. A flicker caught her attention though and her feet quickly left the ground leaping into the air to avoid the fireball. As she did so though she noted another far more intense flicker and immediately began to twist her body as another massive wave of fire rushed towards her. She wasn't able to avoid this one and felt the flames engulfing her burning her and pushing her backwards.

Mirin felt sickened as he watched the creature fly through the air and slam into the ground. “Desmon I thought you said that thing was based on our sisters.”

“It is.”

“Our sisters wouldn't have been that fragile.” A notable roar did nothing to change Mirin's thoughts on the matter as he looked towards the creature standing up. “You're just a weakling a pail shadow of our true siblings.”

“I am no kin of yours!”

Carter, “No. You're far too stupid.” With those words Carter watched as the creature was engulfed in a torrent of lightning being channeled by the other three brothers. A harsh and violent pop was heard as the creature burst fourth from the lightning once again rushing towards them. Immediately he recognized a familiar tactic.

Often when sisters were young they would choose to avoid attacks by leaping. This could easily be a weakness though as it limited their ability to change direction a great deal. So when the spirit had leaped Mirin felt certain that he was dealing with the mentality of a young sister. Her violent responses also indicated that she was far more on the feral side then the truly reasonable side. In her rage she had forgotten about Desmon entirely though he hadn't forgotten her as the bear leaped onto her and sunk his teeth into her neck.

As Desmon bit the spirit he was thankful for the ambush. This time he didn't hold on though but released his hold and leaped backwards as the tendrils once again tried to impale him. As he landed he released a savage growl and once again rushed forward. He wasn't too pleased though whenever the spirit once again began to rush the mages.

The druid was a danger but the true offensive power in the group was the five mages and Avora knew this. She would need to kill them first then make short work of the druid.

Mirin didn't flinch as he saw the massive spirit charging towards them. The staff he held began to glow as he once again directed energy into it both from his brothers and himself. Would the spirit fall for the same trick twice? He didn't know but he once again released a fireball aiming it towards the spirit. This time she didn't jump but he watched as she brought her tendrils before her and wrapped them together forming a barrier. The ball of fire slammed into the tendrils and the air was filled with the sound of violent hissing as the spirit continued to sprint towards them. Immediately Mirin drove his staff into the ground and braced himself.

A burst of light lit up the area as Avora neared the mages and drove her fist into the barrier that surrounded them. She wasn't surprised by its presence and wasted no time in beginning to pound away at it. With each strike from her fist though she would feel a surge of pain as the barrier would send a surge of energy throughout her hands singing her. “Nothing will remain once I get hold of you!”

“How are you going to dodge from his close up?” Mirin chose to meet the gaze of the spirit as it towered over him. He couldn't help but scowl as he looked at it. She met his gaze and didn't flinch though she growled. Their eye lock was broken though as the spirit was violently torn from the ground and sending flying backwards by the blades of wind and ice that slammed into her body from the other four mages. She didn't travel far though rather her tendrils drove themselves deeply into the ground and she used them to pull herself back towards the barrier to continue pounding on it.

“You think your weak magic can stop me!” Avora could feel her rage surging throughout her body driving her to put more effort into her attack. As she did so she was made to grin on several mouths whenever the barrier began to flicker violently underneath her attacks. A massive brown object slamming into her side and sinking its fangs into her neck stopped her for the moment though as her tendrils were torn from the ground as she slammed into it. A roar of frustration escaped her and she desperately clawed at the druid trying to get hold of him.

Desmon let lose a triumphant roar as he tackled the spirit. “Why do you fight us?”

“You've attacked my grove!”

“This is not your grove that is else where you've been tainted! Halt this attack immediately and we can help you!”

For a moment Avora said nothing but looked at Desmon then gave a chuckle. “You want to help me all of a sudden? You can see it.”

Once again Desmon was made to growl. As he looked at the spirit he saw no signs of injury upon her person despite the attacks she'd been forced to endure. She might have been faking and hiding the injuries but for the moment it didn't seem like they were hurting her. “You're powerful but you're not beyond us.”

“Then why speak now?”

“I was hoping that after you realized our strength you'd be willing to speak. I guess that isn't the case though.”

“I'm going to enjoy eating you a” before Avora could finish a massive wave of fire and wind slammed into her. Instead of lifting her into the air though the torrent of air sent her plowing through the ground ripping up great chunks of earth and stone as it did so.

Mirin gave a sigh as he looked at the spirit who for the first time seemed stunned. “You're clearly the worst of our sisters now with that arrogance. Yet those are still traits you share with them. Why not return with us and return to being a guardian spirit?”

There was no words from Avora but rather an enraged roar. She wasted no time ripping herself free from the ground and charging strait towards the brothers. Despite her rage though this time she was prepared. So saw the movements of the druid and as Desmon dashed towards her she lashed out with her tendrils slamming them into the druid and sending him sprawling across the ground. She knew what was coming next as she drove those same tendrils into the ground and felt a massive wave of fire engulf her yet she pushed forward.

The spirit was truly modeled after their sisters Mirin felt certain of that. It's ability to shrug off their attacks and the power of its own was truly staggering. What surprised him though was how slow the spirit was. One of their true sisters would have been on them before they could even cast a spell from such a short distance.  When she reached the barrier and drove her claws into it he could feel the mystic shock wave as they all worked to sustain the barrier. If she were to even land one hit on their actual person it would be the end of whomever had been stricken and their combined barrier was far stronger then if they were separated.

As Avora drove her fist into the barrier she finally brought her tendrils into play. They wrapped around her hands and added sharpened points to the end of her fist. As she struck the barrier she was elated by the results as they pushed their way further in. If the barrier had been less ductile she felt certain she would have broken through its defenses yet it bent and moved with her strikes slowly slowing them down then returning to its previous states. For a while she had assumed that the barrier was a stand alone spell but as she looked at the mages she realized it was draining them. Whenever she struck the barrier their casting would slow or stop entirely meaning they were directing energy to it. A surge of lightning stopped her assault though.

The electrical energy running through Desmon was accompanied by a slight rush as he heard the spirit scream in protest and slump for a moment against the barrier. While typically one to prefer melee combat due to his animal state he wasn't beyond using the other elements of nature whenever they seemed appropriate and the spirits focus on that barrier had given him plenty of time to gather energy and prepare.

It was hard to continue working on the barrier after that last attack. Avora's anger wanted her to spin around and attack Desmon for that last attack. She knew that would be a mistake though as the mages would simply resume their efforts and their attacks were indeed painful. She couldn't allow them to know how painful though or that they had actually injured her. Instead she resumed her efforts on the barrier though she prepared herself. While the barriers stationary nature meant that she had little room to move in there could be a limited amount of avoidance involved in this struggle.

With Avora still focused on the barrier Desmon once again began to draw in power from the wind and earth preparing for another lightning attack. Of the attacks used against her that actually seemed to be the most effective. He wanted to call out and find out how long the mages' barrier would last under the current assault but chose not to. If they answered the spirit would have that information as well and he didn't want to give her any knowledge she may use against them.

Mirin took in a deep breath as he looked at Avora. Up until now they'd been using ranged attacks to try to drive her back and deal damage. He had once again gathered mystic energy into the war staff he held as if to release another spell. This time though his stance quickly shifted. His left leg moved behind the right while he lowered the staff into a jabbing position. He wasted no time driving the staff toward and through the barrier the weapon growing alight as he moved it. The response was immediately the spirit released a sharp gasp as the staff was driven into her stomach and stopped her assault. Instead of flying backwards though she was made to stumble and step away from the barrier her legs shaking as she did so.

Avora could feel the mystic energy inside of her body moving throughout every fiber of her being and attempting to shred her from the inside. This was not a spell of nature but something else though she didn't know what. Her eyes fail on the human mage who had just delivered the strike and enraged shriek escaped from within her. She pushed her entire being forward and wrapped her tendrils around her right arm using the strength of her arm, the tendrils her legs and her forward momentum to carry the attack through and drive her fist into the barrier. Her scream was joined a new one though erratic one as the barrier responded violently. 

Mirin hadn't been expecting this. As Avora drove her fist into the barrier the barrier sent energy into her. However, this had been beyond the other attacks and the backlash was immediately noticeable. Immediately Mirin drove his weapon into the ground and reached out to the energy. Grasping it he began to channel the out of control energy into the ground. As he did so he found himself forced to use his own hands as part of the conductive process and they were already beginning to heat up. He could have even sworn he felt them beginning to burn as pain radiated out from his hands and up his arms.

For the battle Carter had managed to retain his cool. As he looked up at the massive figure glaring down at them and struggled to regain control of the barrier that began to weaken. His eyes were filled with horror and she seemed to realize this. Yet he still struggled to save the barrier even as Mirin struggled to keep the out of control energies from killing them all. The spirit clearly wasn't making this easier as she twisted her fist and pushed forward still attempting to break through. He knew one thing though. Even if they managed to save the barrier from this attack Mirin wouldn't be rejoining the battle. He could already tell he was giving his all just to control the energy.

He needed to get Avora away from the barrier this was all too clear to Desmon he had to gather the strength to do so though and before he could a sharp howl hit his ears. There was a blur of movement and he noted a massive figure surge by taking Avora with it.

Carter didn't know what had happened. He wasted no time turning to find out. What he found was a massive wolf having taken hold of the spirit and pinned her to the ground. Avora shrieked in protest clearly in plain and drove her tendrils and claws into the massive wolf. Yet the wolf clearly wasn't letting up and only let lose a snarl before digging his fangs more deeply into the spirit and removing a chunk of her being. The shriek this brought from Avora was truly hellish yet it didn't slow the massive wolf down.

Desmon immediately recognized Night Fang and gave a slight sigh. They had been told that the greater spirits were beginning to make war against the the amalgam that had infested the forest. He hadn't been expecting such aid but it was welcome. “So what took you Night Fang?”

Night Fang answered but the words didn't come from his mouth as he continued to gorge himself on the spirit. “I had to wait for my prey to be properly weakened.”

As Carter listened to Night Fang and Desmon his concern actually grew. He knew little of this spirit and while it had helped them for a moment Avora wasn't the only being there that had been weakened. This thought quickly turned his mind back to Mirin who was currently knelt and focusing on his hands. “Mirin how bad are your hands?”

“I need help healing them. Now and I.” For a moment Mirin went silent and looked down at his blackened hands. There were developing a red tent to them that worried him a great deal.

“Desmon we need to get Mirin back to the village now!”

Before Desmon could speak up another voice did so. “Hold. Wait but a moment and I will aid you. As thanks for this fine meal and harming my true enemy as well. I shall not be long. I don't wish the fires you started to consume me as well.”

Carter turned to Desmon a question in his eyes and Desmon spoke up. “We can trust Night Fang in this instant.” With those words Desmon looked back towards the flames that had been growing rapidly during the fight. The wolf spirit wasn't kidding about needing to finish his meal quickly. The flames were growing rapidly.

Mirin didn't comment as he focused on using his remaining energy to heal his hands. A surge of relieve washed over him moments later though as two of his brothers joined him and began to focus on healing his injuries as well. They were tired but they had more strength left then he did. They were soon joined by Desmon who had shifted from a bear back to a human again.

***************************************************************************************************

“Mirin what happened to your hands!”

Sora's voice was positively a roar that seemed to shake the trees surrounding them though it was filled with concern. Currently Mirin found himself setting with rather noteworthy bindings on his hands protecting them. Between the bindings and his own skin was a rather potent healing ointment. “We ended up doing battle with a spirit who was more powerful then we realized. Don't worry my hands are just”

“Don't lie to me!” While Sora never wished to frighten Mirin she could not compose herself in the moment. The smell of Mirin's skin had reached her nose and she recognized the healing ointment as well. A few rapid and powerful steps brought her within a few meters of him and she fail to all fours bringing her face closer to his. Her claws had already extended and sunken into the earth while her tail raised up and thrashed violently in the air.

Mirin trusted and loved Sora but this was truly a frightening sight even for him. He found himself looking into her massive eyes and noted how they adjusted as she looked back at him. They were focused on him with an intensity that he had rarely seen. “The spirit nearly crushed our protective barrier and it went partly out of control. I had to manage the energy as best I could while allowing the others to still defend us. It was more then I could handle and my hands took the worse of it. The muscle has been damaged.”

Concern flooded Sora and her anger began to subside as worry took its place. “Will it heal?”

“In time.” For a moment Mirin went silent and looked down at his hands. “Little by little it will heal. The healing process can't be rapid or it won't heal properly and well I can't control my hands as well as I used to be able to while they're recovering. I'm going to need some help but we gained some useful information.”

“Was it worth it?”

“We revealed where our enemy is hiding in the spirit realm and soon it will be revealed here as well.”

“What?”

“While in the spirit realm we happened upon the creatures domain. It was keeping the spirits in the area imprisoned just barely alive. We torched the entire grove in order to free the spirits and now all the trees in that region are going to die. Every plant in that region will pretty much die due to the scar on the spirit realm yet that will also lead to its rebirth. Once those plants begin to die off we'll know exactly where to strike.”

“I. I see.” Instead of continuing Sora reached down and carefully lifted Mirin up as she did so she drew herself from a crouch position into a seated one.  As she held Mirin she couldn't help but notice how his legs actually appeared to be thinner then her fingers. It made him appear so fragile especially with his wounds and she wondered how she'd ever allowed him to go to such a dangerous place.“You're crazy you know that? Doing that to your hands.”

“Well it's better my hands then other parts.”

“I'm going to take you home with me we're going to talk about this. Mirin you won't be able to hide what happened to the other sisters.”

“I know.”

***************************************************************************************************

Desmon found himself seated before Night Fang along with Slumber. They had retreated to her domain for the sake of privacy and safety. None would come near Slumber without good cause. “So you have began making war with the spirit that amalgam. Why haven't you moved against it?”

“The tainted forest prevents me from doing so. The only reason I was able to aid you is the spirit stepped outside of its master's domain in order to attack you.”

“I see. How does the spirit hold you back though?”

“It learned things about me things that have been used to do so. That's all you need to know.”

“I see. Will the flames we released into that region be enough to allow you entry?”

“Only as far as the flames have claimed dominion. This dominion will be challenged though and the amalgam will try to regain its domain.”

Desmon went quiet for a moment as he looked to Night Fang. “This amalgam was preparing for a very long time to insure that none of the greater spirits of the forest would be able to slay it. If you were to encounter the amalgam now could you kill it?”

Night Fang took a moment to look at Desmon. Part of the wolf spirit was actually angered by the druid's question but he couldn't deny the truth of the matter. “I do not know. I would fight the creature with all my strength but who would prevail I don't know. It hid while it was too weak to face me and still takes shelter now that its strength has grown but I do not know who's power is greater.”

“When I was told that you've been warring against the spirit that meant you were stopping the spread of that tainted forest.”

“Yes and my kin kill the amalgams minions.” A slight chuckle escaped Night Fang as he looked away for a moment. “Hunger doesn't drive them to slay the ratmen any longer but the existence of the ratmen moves them to action.”

For a moment Desmon went silent and looked at Night Fang. “Just how badly did we weaken the spirit you consumed?”

“Wouldn't you like to know.”  Upon finishing Night Fang muzzle drew back into what had to be a wolf's smile. A smile that showed more sharp teeth then many would prefer.

“Fine. It's only natural for a wolf not to want others to know its true strength. In your war with the amalgam have you learned anything?”

“It will suffer a rebellion now. The spirit that I consumed was more important to the amalgam then you realize. It risked much to obtain that spirit and taint it. Without that spirit to watch over its grove the amalgam will have to take attention away from its other efforts as lesser spirits begin to nip away at its domain. Those spirits that are trapped there will struggle in rebellion more and the region will shake. The fires your human friends released will also do much.”

“I see. Night Fang will you stand with us whenever we move against the amalgam?”

“Yes.”

Now Desmon was truly surprised as he looked at the wolf. Such a sudden answer from a spirit and a spirit of a wolf seemed truly out of place. “You mean you will aid us free of charge.”

“There is much to be had in the destruction of the amalgam and far more to be loss if you failed. I will not become that things servant or its prey.”

***************************************************************************************************

Carter took in a deep breath as he found himself setting alone in his home looking towards the entrance. He was going to have some explaining to do today and he didn't know how he was going to do it. The conversation had been ran through his head over a dozen times with the possible different outcomes and he had considered retreated to the lab and telling his family that he was busy while his body healed. That wouldn't do though they would need to move very soon and he wouldn't be healed by then. As the door opened he took in a deep breath and worked to steady himself.

“Daddy!” As Lidia dashed into the room she couldn't hide her excitement upon noting her father's scent. He was home sooner then normal. As she entered the room though she was brought to a dead stop as her nose was hit by the scent of partially burned skin and blood. As she looked at her father she noted that he was still in his mage's cloak concealing the vast majority of his body and his hands were hidden.

“Hey sweet heart. How has your day gone?”

Lidia didn't know what to do as she looked at her father. He had greeted her normally but she could tell that he was injured just from the smell. The tone of his skin also told her something was wrong as well as the sound of his heart beat. “Dad what happened!” Before she knew what she was going Lidia had leaped across the room and nearly upon her father. Her hands came to rest upon either side of him as he looked up at her.

How the sisters had grown over the past few months. Carter found himself looking up at his towering daughter and knew that despite her being a child she surpassed him in height by a head and in mass by far more. “Lidia I need you to set down so that we can have a talk.”

To this Lidia gave a quick nod and straitened back up. Instead of setting in the couch though her legs folded underneath her so that she was looking up at her father concern still filling her eyes. “Are you okay?”

“Lidia while we were in the shadow realm we found out where the spirit was hiding and that's correct we have been going into the shadow realm.”

“Wh”

“Don't interrupt. Lidia let me finish speaking first then I'll answer your questions. We've been going into the shadow realm even though we said that we wouldn't because this enemy is very dangerous and we had to do what was needed to protect you, your mother and all the other sisters as well as ourselves.  We found out where the spirit is hiding in the shadow realm though and we attacked its home. The scar we left on the shadow world will affect this one and soon we'll see where the spirit is hiding. That's when your sisters and mother will go to destroy it as well as us.”

“You're hurt though! You can't go!”

“Lidia it's not that bad and this is important. I'll have healed some before then as well. Now I want you to promise me that you won't tell anyone that I've been injured or what I told you. I'll tell your mother whenever she comes home but you need to promise me this.”

Lidia didn't respond right away but found herself rubbing the back of her neck. Her tail flicked across the floor actually impacting it a few times hard enough to cause a noteworthy sound while she began to bight down on her lower lip. She didn't know what she should do. She loved Carter and respected him as her father and as a well respected brother. However, her whole life she'd been told to protect her brothers even from themselves. Now here he was asking her not to tell anyone about what had happened even though he could be putting himself in danger. “Promise me you won't go back.”

A sigh escaped Carter as he looked down in his daughter's soft blue eyes.  Her light gray fur and white tipped ears as well as the look of resolve in her face just made her look adorable despite her attempt to seem stern. He knew that she was serious about this though and he had to be honest with her. “We've revealed where the spirit is Lidia but whenever we make an assault upon the physical domain of the spirit we will be attacking from the spirit realm as well. I have no intentions of returning to the spirit realm before then but I can't promise you that I won't. If something happens that requires us to go back I will.”

“You can't you could get hurt again!”

“Lidia you can't expect us to just stay here and let you and your sisters do all the work. They are things that you need protecting from as well and that's our responsibility. Now promise me that you won't tell anyone.”

“I. I.” For a moment Lidia went silent and then her body was made to shiver. Once again she bit down on her lower lip and she could feel her eyes lids heating up as tears began to form in her eyes. “I don't want you to get hurt Daddy!”

Now Carter stood up and moved to embrace his daughter. “I don't want you to get hurt either Lidia and I don't want you to go hungry either. If this amalgam has its way though it won't fight you or your sisters directly. It will alter the very nature of the forest and starve you all out.”

As Carter embraced her Lidia took hold of her father. “I promise! I promise I won't tell anyone!”

“That's a good girl. Thank you for trusting me Lidia.” As Carter held his daughter he took in a deep breath. Now he would just have to convince her mother to stay quiet for a few days. He had Lidia's promise but that was one battle he still wasn't looking forward to.

***************************************************************************************************

“So how have you been doing?”

Currently Mina found herself setting on the edge of the village her ax laid across her lap while her tail worked on beating up the ground. “Hey Flora. I'm doing alright I suppose though I believe I'm going to lose my mind.”

“Is it that boring here?”

“No more then usual but I can't help but feel like I should be out there doing something. I know that this is what Dan wants me to do and he made a convincing argument but this still stinks.”

“With you here though we were able to assign three more sisters to patrolling the forest.”

“I know. I know. This still sucks though. So have you encountered anything interesting in the forest?”

“Nothing that I would call interesting more like disturbing or just plain infuriating. I'll tell you about if it you'll promise that you won't go running off into the forest to check on it yourself.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she looked at Flora. “Sure. I promise I won't immediately run off to check it out. Now what did you see?”

“More of our home dieing. At first it wasn't so bad but these days I can't go on a patrol without finding another dead tree or some dead shrubs and honestly it's becoming upsetting. I've spoken with some of the brothers about it but they tell me now to worry.”

“Do you think they're trying to give you false reassurance?”

“I can't say. Have you noticed how exhausted they're looking these days though? They must really be pushing themselves to find out what's going on. I just hope that they don't overdo it. How is Dan doing?”

“As exhausted as the rest of them. He and Joseph are really going at it with whatever they're working on but I've heard other things. They're a few who are kind of miffed with them right now or to be honest down right angry. For the moment they seem to be staying quiet.”

“What happened?”

“I don't know the finer details but it seems Dan, Joseph and Carter with the backing of Mirin and Nathan muscled their way into the storage area and made off with a massive amount of silver. I'm not talking about a few boxes of it. It apparently took them all three working together to move it properly and they had to make several trips.”

“Oh wow. Do you have any ideal what they're doing with that silver?”

“Nothing at all. He didn't say a word about making off with that much silver or anything. For the most part he seems to be happy with the way things are going he just comes home tired and exhausted. The only time I've seen him really happy though was whenever he, Joseph and Maria all went off together. Apparently she was going to help them with something.”

“Yeah Maria told me about that. Apparently she helped them carve some kind of design into the ground and had to be really careful the entire time.”

For a moment Mina said nothing but then she chuckled. “I would ask Dan about it but honestly I don't want him spending his time at home thinking about work. He spends enough time doing that when he gets home I want his thoughts to be of me and our child.”

“Oh now that I agree on. I may not have a mate but when I have a guy in my home and especially in my bed he'd best not get to talking about his work.”

“How has that been going for you anyway?”

“Awful!” A low groan escaped Flora as she came to set beside Mina. “Like I said they've all be exhausted as of late and I can hardly get any of them to come to my bed. Those who do are hardly at one hundred percent even with a pep drink to get them going again. It's actually becoming rather frustrating. Would you believe I nearly crushed a dildo in myself I was so frustrated a few nights ago?”

“You're kidding right?”

“Well it was the end that was in my hand but I bet you could crush one with your pussy muscles.”

Once again Mina found herself simply looking at Mina and then giggling slightly. “I suppose I could! I don't want you talking to Dan about such things though the last thing I want him to do is get nervous when with me. Still, have you ever tried to crush one inside of yourself?”

“Mm no. I can't say that it occurred to me. Oh that could be fun. And what's what will happen to your penis if you get off before me.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she turned back to the forest. “I bet some brothers would like that kind of talk.”

“Are you kidding? Some of them flat out love it though it's important to know which ones. We have a few who are a little tired of being treated like they're so delicate they'll break if a strong breeze hits them. So they like to be a little more active in bed.”

“You mean they like to walk away with some bruises?”

“Yeah. Though it's important to remember that they are in the minority. Those that don't like such treatment are far less likely to sleep with you after getting it. It's fortunate that you're Dan's mate or you might have trouble getting him back into bed.”

“Hey! It's not like I leave him bruised every time we sleep together. That's in the minority of the times really.”

“I know. I'm glad to see that you're pepping up a bit. Now how has your little bundle been growing?”

“I'm fairly certain my child is a sister at this point. She's been kicking and well from what I can feel there is no way a brother could be kicking that hard.”

“Are you sure you're feeling kicking and it's not just your imagination?”

“Well not entirely. I have all day to set around and look for threats and details that never show themselves so I may be noticing something that isn't truly happening. I like to believe I'm feeling her kicking though I wish we had a better ideal of how far along I am. It's hard to tell with a sister though as our sizes can differ so much whenever we're born. Some are born small enough that one below a guardian could have handled the birth while others require a guardian. Factor in how much we were allowed to grow and well at keeper status this gets kind of difficult.”

“I know. I wondered the same thing whenever I was pregnant with Maria and Mira despite being smaller back then.” Moving closer to Mina Flora placed a hand on her massive friend's stomach and tried to feel any kicking going on inside. “I can't help but believe this is a futile effort on my part considering how much the baby has to kick through to get noticed.”

“I know but at least that means the baby is well protected. So did Maria come and speak to you about how to handle brothers a bit more gently yet?”

“Yeah. Dan told you about Joseph I imagine.”

Mina gave a slight chuckle and a nod. “He did though I imagine his description was a bit exaggerated. He said Joseph was so beaten up that he could hardly move. I know that Joseph belongs to Maria and Dan is my mate but I admit I was curious as to what Joseph pelvis must have looked like.”

“Oh I imagine it had some interesting coloration. I should have asked her about that but I was too busy trying to give her some tips apparently she didn't like all of them though.”

“Flora! What did you tell Maria?”

“I just told her how to give her mate a chest ride now that she's large enough or should be large enough. Then I made some suggestions as to what he could hold onto to help himself stay on and she just didn't respond well.”

“Oh you naughty thing. I wonder what it would have been like to get sex advice from my mother. We never really talked about it and well by the time the thought of talking about it began occurring to me she wasn't around anymore. Actually I would like to talk to her about raising a daughter as well.” Mina went silent as she placed a hand on her stomach. It was just as futile as Flora trying to feel for the kicking child but she couldn't resist as her thoughts turned to her mother and daughter.

“Have you picked out a name for her?”

“Dan suggested that we should name her Dremera. After my mother.”

For a moment Flora wasn't certain what to say though she had a wide smile on her face. The tone of Mina's voice told her she agreed with Dan. “So she's going to be named after your mother. That's very sweet. We'll have to be certain to tell her all about her grandmother whenever she's old enough.”

“Yeah. She won't have one unlike most of us. I wonder if that means she'll sneak over to your home and ask permission whenever she wants to do something that I wouldn't approve of.”

Flora's smile grew into a toothy grin before she could respond. “What can say?”

“Just don't let her do anything that would force me to forbid her from visiting.”

“Don't worry. I don't plan on it. What are you going to do though if she's a daddy's girl and wants to follow him around all the time? You know she's going to be bigger then when we were children.”

“Oh poor Dan! I know he wants to play a major part in our daughter's life but that might be a bit much for him. I wonder what they can play together so she won't end up removing his hand or something else. When she's older there are  a fair number of options but whenever she's younger there not as many. I know that a young sister could easily work a brother to exhaustion.”

“Well my mom used to tell me that my father would attach something tasty to the end of my tail and watch me try to get it.”

“Oh Flora you know she was teasing you. Even a young sister could solve that problem in a matter of moments especially if she had a long tail like what runs in your family.”

“That is true. Let's see here. Well they could always play arrow tag. Do you remember that?”

“Oh that was so much fun when I was young! Did you prefer the retaliation games or no retaliation?”

“When it was one on one I preferred no retaliation while if there was a group I liked retaliation. Honestly though the one on one games tended to always be so easy to win.”

“You just didn't play with the right brothers if you thought that. Then again you didn't have an over fluffed tail giving away your location all the time or serving as a target.”

“Oh yeah. I can remember them aiming for your tail. That was kind of funny I have to admit.”

“Now it's funny. Whenever I was younger it would frustrate me to no end. That's still a little advanced though after all she would need to know that she has to avoid the arrows until the shooter runs out before she's allowed to go on the offensive in no retaliation.”

“Well you have me there. Okay let's see something for an infant sister to do with her father. Well he could always attach a piece of meat to the end of a stick and try to keep her from getting it. So long as he knows not to use too short of a stick he should be safe. That's also a good way to encourage a sister to work on her motor skills as well.”

“At least until she's older and thinks she's suppose to jump on the table and eat everything. I do like the ideal. Perhaps this is something I should talk to Dan about I'm sure he's coming up with his own ideals for games he can play with our daughter. I just hope he's not thinking of her as a human child.”

“I'm sure he's keeping her heritage in mind.”

***************************************************************************************************

Mirin took in a deep breath as he entered the indoor garden the life bloom was being grown in. He was actually quite surprised when he stepped in and felt the mystic energy filling the environment wash over him. Unlike before though it now had direction and purpose this focus though seemed to grant it even more power. A low whistle escaped him and he continued into the room making his way towards Joseph and Dan.

Nathan shut the door behind Mirin having been the one to open it as well despite his advanced age. Given the condition of Mirin's hands it was best if they kept him from using them. “So you really belief this will work?”

“Not really but if we don't bring as much good news to the table as we can well there could be a lot of trouble. They're going to have trouble trusting us for a while after this no matter what. That said hopefully after this we won't have to ask them to just trust us for a long while.”

“Mirin as one who has lived longer then you let me say women have a very long memory especially if they feel you've deceived them.”

“Is that something you know from personal experience?”

“I'm afraid so. That said in my case it wasn't nearly anything this big. I had simply given my promise that I wouldn't be repeating a certain experiment until I had taken better safety measures. In fact I just waited until they were gone and tried it again feeling confident that I had realized my mistake. The end result was painful.”

“What were you trying to do?”

“I was trying to instantly turn yeast and water into beer without the use of alchemy in order to keep out other ingredients. There was a lot of heat release involved in the attempt though and I managed to singe myself pretty good and the roof and the table and the room and some of the hallway.”

Mirin didn't know if Nathan was being serious or not but he did chuckle. “You're a crazy old man you know that?”

“I was a crazier young man.”

“I'm not so sure about that. Anyway. Joseph! Dan!”

At the sound of Mirin's voice both Joseph and Dan turned towards him though it was Dan who went to meet them. Joseph was still rather involved with his work. “Mirin, Nathan what brings you two down here? Have you come to check up on us.”

Mirin, “Actually yes that's pretty much why we've come down here. You see we're going to be delivering some rather bad news to our sisters fairly soon and we were hoping that you had some good news for us to add to it. How goes your work?”

Dan, “It's going fairly well. We have five working shapers currently and the energy transmission system is ready.  The transmitter is at the center of the room if you'd like to see it.”

Mirin, “I would indeed but first tell me. How did you set it up so that an outside power couldn't tap into the energy source?”

Dan, “We made it too unstable to use if you didn't know how to filter it properly for one thing but we took a few other steps. You see what you do is you take a shaper and activate it with the energy from the source. This forms a bond between the shaper and the source which causes the shaper to act as a beacon for the energy so its naturally drawn to it. Once the energy enters into the shaper its modified into a usable form. Uh Mirin what happened to your hands?”

“I had a little encounter. They're healing but yeah they're not back to normal yet. So have you and Joseph tested the shapers yet?”

Dan, “To a limited extent yes but well we were just preparing our proposal for test subjects.”

Nathan couldn't help but chuckle and speak up at hearing this. “Oh and I suppose we don't already know who you two have chosen for test subjects.”

Upon hearing Nathan Joseph was made to look up from his work with a wide grin on his face. “I guess it's not exactly difficult.”

Nathan, “No but it's nice that you were ready to use the proper channels. These days we can't do that though. So you've only managed to make five shapers so far?”

Dan, “It takes us around three hours just to make one shaper and we've only been working on them for a few days. Making just one is a truly involved process as well we need help to provide one to every sister.”

Mirin, “I see. So we're going to have to make our choices wisely.” For a moment Mirin was silent as he walked over to the shaper Joseph was working on. “It's the crystal within the shaper that decides how much energy it will allow to flow isn't it?”

Joseph, “Not entirely but it is the major factor. We made the crystals so they could be replaced though if we wanted to increase or decrease the energy flow to a particular sister.”

Mirin, “That makes sense. I had hoped to increase our combative strength greatly before the encounter but with so few shapers there no way that's going to happen.”

Nathan, “Then let's put the best transmission crystal into one we can obtain and wake up Zarena.”

Mirin forgot Joseph and Dan for a moment as he turned to look at Nathan. “You want to wake up a sleeper and Zarena to boot?”

“Sure. You can feel the energy flooding into this room it should be enough to awaken and get her going for the coming battle. She would also greatly increase our fighting ability once awakened and would probably enjoy the chance to stretch her legs.”

While Mirin and Nathan were speaking Joseph turned to Dan. “Okay so Zarena is a sleeper?”

“Yeah she's a sleeper alright and well I've never actually seen her mind you but from what I know she's massive and powerful. Of the sleepers Zarena is actually one of the more powerful ones at least she was the last time their power was measured. She hasn't been woken up in a long time. I don't even believe Nathan has seen her awake.”

Nathan, “That's not true. I saw her awake to regain some size after she'd shrunken a bit. I was actually part of the group who was to see to her feeding and answer any questions that she might have. My interaction with her goes beyond that though. Whenever I was a young one I was involved in helping to take care of her sleeping body. You know keeping the room she sleeps in clean as well as her. Those were nerve wrecking days at first. You should have seen us whenever we had to get near her face and those massive teeth.”

As Joseph listened to Nathan he actually felt a bit disappointed. He had been certain Maria would be allowed to enjoy one of the shapers. “Why did you choose Zarena to awaken?”

Nathan, “Oh Zarena is sort of like Fera in many regards. Her eyes can see things that ours can't though she can't actually see life energy. Of the sleepers Zarena eats the least though or we believed she ate the least until we got a truly good look at how her body functions. She's a unique case as she effectively has two lesser mutations or I suppose you could say three. Zarena's eyes lets her see very specific types of mystic energy this actually grants her the ability to see across the veil into the shadow realm and her claws allow her to reach across that gap.”

Joseph, “So she can affect the shadow world?”

Nathan, “Yes. Zarena you see can actually eat spirits she can manage to pull through the veil or ones that she actually finds entering into our world. It was even talked about letting her remain awake due to the additional food source but there were problems. You can't influence the shadow world without influencing this one as well and while Zarena could capture some spirits from across the veil she could only get those who were small enough for her to pull through powerful spirits can use the strength of the veil and their own to easily resist her influence. So she could never eat enough of them to sustain herself.”

Mirin, “I had read as much about her. Even if she can't pull our main enemy through the veil though she could see it and help us. Waking up a sleeper isn't a choice we can make on our own though. Dan, Joseph would you two support us in this decision?”

Dan, “Yes.”

Joseph, “Yes.”

A slight chuckle escaped Nathan as he looked up to the ceiling. “Let me take you to see her before she's woken up. I highly recommend you prepare yourself. You're about to see one of the most powerful forces of destruction the ancient magics could bring into being. After that well, I'll help you work on the shaper for her.”

***************************************************************************************************

As Joseph looked over the walkway at Zarena he took in a deep breath. Matrons were large but Zarena was on an entirely different scale. The massive being was well over one hundred meters tall from what he could see. Each one of her fingers was several times his own height and he imagined it would have been easy for three to four brothers to lay head to foot along her index finger. Each sleeping eye would have been roughly as tall as one of them and many times their size while each tooth would have been a massive spike easily capable of impaling them. A human would have seemed nothing more then an insect to her in scale yet despite all that he found her to be lovely.

Zarena's fur was a light mixture of white with soft gray stripes that nearly vanished in the proper light. This held except for the very tips of her ears, fingers, toes and tail there was also a noteworthy strip of gray that went across her right eye. Her lips were not the fullest to be found but her lower lip seemed to push outward as if in a slight pout that never quite went away. Her neck was then at least when compared to the rest of her body while she would have just barely been able to cup one of her breasts in each hand. Her abdominal muscles could be seen whenever she could begin to inhale as four well defined parts while Joseph  imagined one would be able to easily slip their head into her navel and probably a bit more.

Her legs were well defined and extremely thick. They weren't nearly a match for Mina's but he imagined she was the Kersara of her generation. One of Zerena's hands had been turned palm up and Joseph noted that the white's of her palms seemed just a bit lighter then the rest of her fur making them stand out. His eyes were drawn to her face again as she gave a slight sigh and those massive lips began to part revealing a mouth full of massive teeth her canines where each taller then he was.

For a moment Joseph's eyes were drawn to Zarena's massive tail as it flicked across the ground. He was actually somewhat surprised by how short the appendage was though he had no doubt it was still useful. Her tail was a far cry from what Mina was sporting or Maria. It was slim and rather on the short side as if it was scared of being grabbed. As Joseph heard the sound of her tail smacking the ground lightly though he doubted many would wish to take hold of it.

Joseph, “So just how large is she?”

Nathan, “The last time we checked Zarena was one hundred twenty meters tall. She's lost a bit of that height since she went to sleep but she's still fairly close to her target goal. So do you believe they'll be enough energy to wake her up and keep her going?”

Joseph, “I. I don't know. I mean something that large and knowing how high performance our sisters bodies are makes the thought of sustaining her simply staggering. It's no wonder that you worried about them depleting everything in the forest if they were allowed to awaken.”

Dan, “Yeah. Just look at her. She could eat a bear without even having to bight or chew just swallow.”

Nathan, “A person would be even easier for her. That's kind of why we were frightened when we had to get near her mouth while tending to her. If you were to fall in she could just swallow you and there would be nothing that could really be done. Such fears were childish at the time though and brought on by a lack of understanding.”

Joseph, “What do you mean?”

Nathan, “Watch this.” As he spoke Nathan made his way further down the walkway and down some steps towards Zarena's sleeping form. As he was walking towards her Zarena's tail was made to shift slightly and her hands twitched as if she could sense his approach. Her body became still as he came to the last step though and her mouth once again drew shut while regular breathing resumed. Nathan walked over to the wall and picked up a large broom and then made his way over to her. “You can imagine we wouldn't want our sleepers waking up covered in dust. So some of us were given the responsibility of cleaning up the room for them and even cleaning them every once in a while.” While he was speaking Nathan began to sweep though there was no dust in the room the task having already been taken care of.

Mirin had followed Nathan down the steps. His experience with the sleepers was more limited then Nathan's so he couldn't help but want to get closer and see their strongest protectors up close. “So old man how did you get assigned such a task?”

“Oh I suppose I brought it upon myself. I was a bit troublesome in my youth and they had to do something to keep me busy. If you didn't notice this room is a little on the large size and well sweeping it took an awful lot of time. A lot of time in which I wasn't getting myself in troubling doing other things and besides it's important. You see while Zarena is asleep right now she can still hear smell and learn. By having brothers work in here with those she already trusted she learns new smells and voices so that when she wakes up she instinctively knows she's amongst allies.”

Joseph was about to comment but went silent whenever Nathan neared Zarena hand and walked over to her index finger. The elder brother then began to gently message the very tip of her finger actually encouraging her massive claw to extend. As the claw began to extend though Joseph noticed a slight glow about it. “Nathan what are you doing?”

“I'm just making sure that they've been keeping her claws taken care of. You know even while the bodies of our sisters' are shrinking their claws still continued to grow relative to them. We have to make sure that they stay down to a manageable size and I need to speak with whomever has been taking care of her claws?”

“Are they two long?”

“No they're not sharp enough. I mean look at this edge.” A sigh escaped Nathan as he left Zarena's finger and rejoined the group. “Once while we were tending to her I was busy with her hand and she actually took hold of me. I was rather alarmed that she had been woken up or was having a dream but I ended up being set on her stomach instead. She was having a dream but it wasn't a predatory one. Climbing down from her stomach was quite an ordeal though.”

Joseph, “I imagine she. Did you get loss in her fur?”

Nathan, “Actually the fur on our sisters doesn't tend to get much longer even as they grow. Well the fur on their bodies doesn't except their hair on their heads and a few unique cases such as what you find on Mina's tail. There fur though remains a fairly constant length.”

Joseph, “Isn't that a little strange?”

Nathan, “Not so much if you consider that the fur of our sisters isn't actually an insulator as it is in true animals but rather a conductor. It helps them to gather energy into their bodies. Anyway, why don't you two have a look around? Once you are done we can go and get ready for our meeting in the dining hall.”

Dan, “Nathan one question. Who's going to be doing the speaking? I imagine the sisters won't respond well if they see Mirin with his hands bandaged like that.”

Nathan, “No. They won't respond well at all but he'll still be the one to do the talking. Anyway, tomorrow we'll make a shaper to awaken Zarena if the meeting goes well tonight.”

***************************************************************************************************

Mina felt awkward as she set at the front of the room. Due to her status as a keeper she would often set in the back to make it easier for the others to see. Dan had insisted that she should set up front though and had requested that Flora join her as well as Maria. They were several other keepers as well setting up front most of them good friends to Mina and known to be rather level headed. This realization brought a groan from her and she looked over at Flora. “They did something stupid.”

It was impossible for Flora not to chuckle as she looked at Mina. “What makes you believe that? Could it be that they've built a wall of keepers between them and the wrest of the sisters? Perhaps it's the fact that Sora is probably in this room right now watching over everyone.”

“Oh how I hope it wasn't anything too dumb.”

“Hey relax our brothers aren't idiots. Besides I doubt they did something stupid. They did something they considered important enough to keep quiet about and have only now chosen to tell us about it knowing that it will make us mad.”

“Oh I can already feel a headache coming. How are you handling this so calmly Flora?”

“Mina I have a few decades of living experience on you. I've learned how to handle this sort of thing.”

“I suppose you do. Anywhere here comes Mirin and damn.”

Mirin took in a deep breath as he heard murmurs moving throughout the room. Already he could hear tones being raised in anger and knew that assumptions and theories were being formed he had to put an end to that. “My sisters. I have lied to you out of a necessity and I would appreciate it if you would listen until I am finished. Under my orders and direction several brothers and myself have been entering into the shadow realm with spiritual guides where you can not go. I know this presents a danger as it means we are beyond your reach and can't be protected however there is an enemy there that can destroy you without stepping foot into this realm. This enemy does this by altering the shadow of this world and influencing the forest itself so that it may not support you.”

Mirin couldn't tell which sister said it but one of them called out. “Mirin that's not right! Yes the shadow world influences this one but the reverse is true we could have stopped this enemy's efforts!”

“Like you stopped the tainted areas from spreading?”

As the words left his mouth a silence washed over the room. This was a brutal attack and Mirin knew this but he couldn't risk losing his standing in the moment. The sisters would see the tainted areas as their responsibility and the tainted areas increased numbers as a failure on their part. This would silence them for a while and give him more time to speak.

“Yes you could deal with this enemy from here if you could find their seat of power though it isn't guaranteed. We did not go to the shadow world unarmed though or with intent to face this enemy but with the intention of locating them and soon we will have done that. While in the shadow realm we found our enemies home and set it aflame. Soon that region of the forest will show the signs of that battle and that is where our enemy has built their base of power and where we must strike. However, we must insure our victory is a complete one to the best of our ability and this foe is powerful and for this reason we will be aiding in this assault and once again entering the shadow realm.”

“You can't do that! Just look at your hands and you think we're going to let more of you enter into the realm!”

“Mirin that's too much we can take it from here!”

“Hold! We can't let this enemy escape to threaten you again and I do mean you our sisters. As much as you like to think of it as your job to protect us we to must protect you. This is a task the Luvarians of old would have handled and as their successors we must handle it as well. We won't go alone though. We  intend to enlist the aid of our orc allies and their shaman as well as the druids and dryads of this forest. We have even enlisted the aid of several powerful spirits however that is not the true power we wish to enlist. I have come to ask you for permission to awaken Zarena.”

Several sisters had planned to argue against Mirin as emotions began to run high. This was silenced as quickly as a fly struck with a hammer at the mentioning of Zarena. Several hushed whispers ran throughout the room but it was Mina who chose to stand and speak up. “I see what you're thinking. We all know what Zarena's gifts are and the danger she poses to beings even of the shadow world. Have you a means of sustained her though?”

Mirin would have loved to thank Mina but knew he couldn't in this situation he had to remain professional and not hint that he was looking for an opening. Especially sense her husband had made that opening. “Indeed we have. For some time now we have been working on a project to supply our sisters with an additional source of energy. This energy actually comes from the mystic power the life bloom allows to bleed into our world. The actual transmission system has been finished however the reception system is still lacking. It had been our intentions to provide every sister with a receiver to further supplement your energy needs but we lack the time needed to make a sufficient amount. Due to our inability to provide enough receivers to aid a significant amount of sisters instead we're going to use the few we do have to awaken Zarena.”

“How many have you managed to make?”

Mirin, “At this moment they're only six of the receivers. Five of the receivers were meant for sisters of guardian to keeper status while the final one was developed for a sleeper and is the most recent. It was only made because we realized that we couldn't make enough of the first generation quickly enough especially now that our enemies base of power will soon be revealed. We must be ready to move quickly.”

Flora gave a sigh as she listened to various conversations in the room and stood up.  “We're going to talk about this proposal and what needs to be done to you Mirin for lying to us like that. Once we've reached a decision as to what we believe we should be done we'll speak with the wrest of you. Come on sisters.”

Mirin didn't protest as the sisters stood up and began to make their way out of the room. He was actually grateful for what Flora had done as it would give the sisters time to cool down over what they'd just learned. While the sisters were departing though he noticed several of them looking back at him and at his hands. He had the feeling that they wouldn't do anything to cause him pain given his injuries but he knew they might still punish him. At the moment he imagined he would be confined for some time or perhaps the sisters would push the other brothers to lower his rank. The second one seemed fairly unlikely though.

***************************************************************************************************

Stella, Mina and Flora all set in the middle of the room none of the other sisters were speaking. They were other keepers in the room but they were being quiet as while they held similar ranks it as well known that these three were particularly close. Their combined voices would carry a lot of wait in the current conversation especially Mina's. Flora was the first one to speak though.

Flora, “So they really want to wake up Zarena. That would increase our fighting ability a great deal and with her eyes and claws she might even be able to help out with the spirits we're going up against. I'm surprised they believe that the given situation justifies waking up a sleeper though.”

Stella, “Perhaps it's due to the additional resources we've gained. As we have more resources it's easier for them to justify waking up a sleeper. We didn't even know about this new energy system up until a short while ago after all. I'm certain that they meant for us to use it but everything doesn't go as planned.

Flora, “Yeah. Well I'm fine with them waking up Zarena. We were allowed to grow more recently so perhaps the sleepers should be allowed to be awake a little more often.  I wonder though if this energy system provides just enough energy to awaken Zarena and keep her going or if there will be some surplus left over for us.”

Stella, “Let's not get into the left overs just yet. Okay the first order of business. Can anyone think of a reason not to awaken Zarena that won't make me slap you?”

A wave of chuckles actually ran throughout the room as the sisters looked amongst one another. A few short conversations were but then one voice rose above them all.

Kiara, “Aren't we being a little too relaxed about this? I mean we're talking about waking up a sleeper. Zarena alone could devastate the resources of this forest. What if this energy system isn't truly enough to sustain her?”

Stella, “Mirin says that it provides enough energy and I believe we can still trust him on that. Besides if it isn't enough then Zarena gets a good meal while killing off the enemy and then she goes back to sleep. That's the way it's always been with sleepers after all. That's the price they pay.”

Kiara, “That's true but don't you believe we should check for ourselves? I mean we're blindly trusting Mirin here. How about we go speak with the brothers who have worked on the energy system.”

“Mina, “My Dan and Joseph have been working on the energy system from what I know. I will say that my knowledge on how much power it yields is limited but I am confident in his work and I trust him. If he had felt Mirin was making claims that they couldn't meet he would have spoken up. We can trust that there will be enough energy to awaken Zarena.”

As Mina spoke Kiara found herself setting back down. While she felt that Mina may be a bit biased when it came to how much she trusted Dan she didn't want to dispute the issue with her. She doubted anyone did either out of respect for Mina and trust or concern about how she would respond.

Flora was silent for a while waiting for any other voices to join the conversation then spoke up once again. “Okay then. I believe we can all agree that Zarena should be awakened. Now we have another issue to talk about though. I'm going to say it right away I do not like the ideal of our brothers going into the shadow realm to face whatever is in there.” 

Mina, “None of us like it. However, before any of you say anything else I want to ask you all this. Are our brothers safer hiding behind us and not being allowed to defend themselves until we fall or are they safer standing and fighting beside of us?”

“Mina what kind of question is that! We won't fall especially if we have Zarena on our side.”

Mina, “So you think Mirin torched his hands for his own amusement! You think a brother who has so much affection for us and has devoted so much of his life to us would lie to us if he didn't believe it was absolutely necessary! Perhaps you think you know more about the shadow realm then our brothers!”

While Mina had been speaking softly beforehand now her voice was positively a roar and while the other keepers may have been of similar height to them her greater size and the power in her voice seemed to make them all shiver. Memories of the fight between Mina and a matron seemed to return to the front of many sisters minds and many went silent. Only Stella and Flora seemed to be completely unaffected by it and it was Flora who spoke up. “Mina you make a very good point but please stop frightening our sisters.”

A low growl escaped Mina and she seated herself once again. “I didn't mean to I just felt really angry for a moment there.”

Before continuing Stella placed a hand on Mina's shoulder. “It's alright Mina. You made a very good point and we all know that you care for and respect our brothers so its natural that such a question would upset you. Now as for me. I believe we should trust our brother's judgment in this matter but we can't be relaxed about it. I want to see these safety steps Mirin is taking with my own eyes.”

Flora, “That is a fair request I believe and I'm sure they would be happy to agree to it.”

“No. No! We can't let our brothers go into danger like that they're just too weak!” As Nadoria called out she rose to a standing position. A keeper herself Nadoria was of roughly the same scale as the three other women yet she seemed to be having trouble standing. Clearly she was concerned with how her protest would be taken.

Everyone in the room went silent and several eyes went to Mina. Breathing slowed down and only came back a minute later whenever Mina made no move to stand up. It stopped again though whenever Mina spoke. “I disagree with you. Our brothers may have weak bodies but that doesn't mean they are weak.”

Nadoria, “This isn't a matter of their usefulness this is a matter of their combative ability it's too dangerous for them to be allowed to go.”

Kiara, “Aren't you acting a little arrogant Nadoria? I have a question for all of you. What even makes you believe you can stop our brothers from helping us?”

Nadoria was actually taken back by Kiara's comment and questions. Angered flared in her and she began to walk towards the guardian. “How dare a guardian take that tone with a keeper. Perhaps”

Mina, “Set down Nadoria. If you take another step towards Kiara I'll make sure you don't stand up again for a week.”

Ice seemed to run through Nadoria's body as she heard Mina's voice and immediately she began retreating. “I wasn't going to.”

Mina, “Your scent gave you away. You were going to strike her.”

Nadoria, “I'm. I'm sorry. This is all just a lot for me to take in and the thought of our brothers putting themselves in danger it frightens me and.”

Flora, “We're all concerned but that's why we must talk and come up with the best possible decisions. Let's try to stay calm though and not break out into a brawl. Nadoria you mentioned having Zarena with us but surely you must realize that if our brothers are thinking about waking her up they're very concerned with what is happening. It's been nearly a hundred years since the last time a sleeper was awoken to deal with an enemy after all. It might have been even longer then that.”

Nidoria, “I know.”

Mina, “I have to ask though. How long is Zarena going to be allowed to remain awake once she's been revived. I know we've always had the sleepers return to their slumber shortly after being awakened but from the way Mirin was talking he seemed to want to keep her awake longer.”

Flora, “Well that's easy Mina. She should be allowed to remain awake until enough shapers have been made for all of us to tap into the energy source. At which time she can be asked to return to her slumber unless of course this new power source is stronger then we realize. Though I wonder if we're assuming too much. I imagine our brothers have an ideal of how long Zarena should be allowed to remain awake that probably doesn't have to do with our stomachs.”

Kiara, “That does sound like a fair way to handle the situation.  Let's get back to the subject that we were on though. Our brothers and if they should be allowed to fight along side of us. Before we talk further about it though I believe we should see how many are for the ideal of having them join us to see if further discussion is even needed. So how about everyone who would rather have our brothers stand with us stand up now and make your position clear?” As she finished speaking Kiara brought herself to a standing position.

As Kiara came to a standing position there was a light rumbling that ran throughout the room as the weight of several sisters was made to shift as they came to a standing position. Many of the sisters actually came to stand before even Mina could who had responded nearly the instant Kiara had made the recommendations. As the sisters looked around the room the decision was fairly clear.

Flora, “Well then. I guess this means our brothers will be allowed to fight alongside of us again. That said I'm sure we're also agreed that we need to insure they take the proper steps to insure their safety.”

“Oh without a doubt!”

Mina, “I swear I have to say this. I'm proud that so many of us realize that we need our brothers to handle this situation. However, there is something we still need to handle. I don't like that Mirin didn't trust us enough to tell us what he was doing and the fact that he lied to us doesn't set well with me at all. It's one thing for secrets to be kept it's another thing for them to lie to us. We can't allow something like that to stand.”

Before responding Flora once again set down as did the remaining sisters. “What do you have in mind Mina?”

Mina, “Mirin's actions were done to help us but I don't know if I can trust him like I used to be able to knowing that he lied. Now I know he explained to us why he believed his actions were needed but during the entire conversation I didn't hear him apologize for what he's done and that doesn't help either.”

Kiara, “That's true. To punish a brother of his rank though for doing what he thought was right though especially after all he's accomplished. It doesn't feel right.”

Mina, “I'm not talking about something that's too harsh. I'm just saying he has to be made to realize that what he did wasn't right. I believe that he should have one of his claws removed until we can say we trust him like we used to.”

A low rumble of small conversations seemed to flow through the room as the sisters listened to the suggestions. This continued for a short while but Stella spoke up first. “Mina I believe that's going too far. I agree that something has to be done but nothing that extreme. Wouldn't it be better if he was required to submit a report on his activities during a probation period or lose one of his claws? Something to let him know that he's being watched and that he's hurt our ability to trust him.”

Mina, “That could work but we'll need someone who can actually understand those reports to read through them.”

Kiara, “Are you all forgetting something? Mirin took the brunt of the blame today but he isn't the only brother who was in on this. Sure he claimed that he gave the order and lead the activities but you all know that's crap. They were all in on this and you need to ask why they behaved in such a way.”

Flora, “That's true. They didn't trust us and probably still don't trust us to see reason whenever it comes to such needs and let's be honest we haven't given then much cause to trust us there.”

For a moment Mina was silent as her thoughts turned to Dan. “Do you really believe Dan chose not to tell me about this?”

Flora, “I believe so Mina and honestly he may have had good reason. Perhaps it's time you talk to him about such things.”

A low sigh escaped Mina and she settled down suddenly feeling quite a bit smaller. “That won't be easy.”

Flora, “Let's all try to keep in mind what our brothers are and not make any hasty judgments. For now I would like it if this topic was put on hold. Perhaps it's not our place to do anything to them. Perhaps it's time for us to listen and let them use their strength where it applies.”

***************************************************************************************************

“Okay Joseph why are you so tense?” As she spoke Maria raised herself and looked down at Joseph who was currently wresting with his head on her stomach and the wrest of him on her legs.

“Well my head is a little close to your crotch at this moment.”

“Well of course it is but that doesn't explain why you're so tense.”

“I'm just waiting for you to ask me a question is all. I've been laying here trying to think of the answer.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria and she raised up slightly causing Joseph's head to slide further down her stomach and closer to her lower lips. “I'd prefer if you'd turn around and give me a kiss down there. Don't worry Joseph I'm not going to pester you about keeping the shadow realm visits a secret from me. It's not like I ever stopped to ask you about them after all.”

“Are you saying that because I'm not part of this culture or do you agree with what we did?”

“Mm if I answer do I get that kiss?”

It was impossible for Joseph not to grin as he looked up at the underside of Maria's breasts. “Yes you can have the kiss but nothing more. I really am exhausted Maria and waking up Zarena seems like it's going to be an involved process tomorrow.”

“Okay but it had better be one hell of a kiss and I want some tongue. Anyway about your question. I want to strangle the bunch of you for keeping us in the dark about the trips to the shadow world and not taking more steps to insure your safety. However, I understand why you did it. We put up so much resistance whenever you first even hinted about going to the shadow world that it's no wonder you assumed we would do whatever it took to stop such visits. What hurts me though is the fact that you didn't trust me enough to tell you but I can understand that as well. What would I have done with the knowledge if you'd told me about it? All it would have done is cause me additional stress and perhaps led to a slip of the tongue.”

“So you're not upset with me?”

“No. I'm not upset with you but I am concerned. This deception has got a lot of sisters thinking about the relationship between us and our brothers and what that really means. I wonder what kind of change this may all lead to.”

“Perhaps it'll teach the sisters that they're threats they can't handle and they must trust the brothers to take care of those.”

“Joseph that is a very bitter pill for us to swallow. So how much did you know about their trips to the shadow realm?”

“I knew that they were going well armed and that those brothers who were going knew how to defend themselves. I saw them come back with injuries from time to time so I knew that they were being attack as well. Though Mirin's hands were a real shocker. So I knew that they were in danger but I couldn't think of any other option.”

For a moment Maria was silent and allowed Joseph to settle down before bringing her tail up and quickly moving the length of it across his nose. Joseph response was immediate. He began to flail about and made a grab for her tail to only find it had already passed by. A delighted chuckle escaped her as Joseph began to furiously rub his nose in response to the tail lashing.  “This is all quite an ugly mess. I think we all realize that. This is after all the first time we've had to deal with an enemy who was so effective at attacking us from the shadow of  this world. It's frustrating and they'll be a lot of high strung sisters for a while. If you're wondering though there was no decision as to what we should do about our brothers lying to us. They were some good arguments made from what I hear though.”

“From what you hear? You mean you weren't there?”

“No. Unfortunately I was out running around taking care of various situations. Even during meetings we can't all be here after all.”

“I wonder if you would feel differently if you'd seen how roughed up Mirin was.”

“Oh I saw that! I saw that on my return.  Anyway, I've answered your question now I believe you were going to give me a kiss with tongue.”

It was impossible for Joseph not to grin as he raised up and then shifted onto his stomach. As he looked towards Maria's crotch he wrapped his arms around as much of her waste as he could and began to scoot forward. Joseph heard a sigh escape from Maria and he pressed his lips against her lower ones making sure to remember the tongue.

***************************************************************************************************

Nathan took in a deep breath as he approached the side of Zarena's head. The massive sleeper didn't move in the least a good sign that she knew someone was there and recognized the scent. As he approached her though and took hold of a few handfuls of her fur he was made to remember his younger days and back whenever he had made this same climb. This was not a normal climb though when taking care of a keeper. At the time it had been quite a risky act done by a foolish young man. Now she knew his scent and remained still as he continued to climb. It had been decided that the shaper would be placed on the lower right corner of her eye actually underneath the skin and had been adjusted to fit there.

Currently Joseph, Dan, Mirin, Maria, Mina and several others stood in the room watching Nathan's progress. None wanted to get too close though Maria stood at the ready to dash in and grab Nathan should something go wrong. As they watched though Joseph couldn't help but question. “Why is Nathan doing this alone?”

Mirin, “She knows Nathan by scent better then she knows any of us. She's less likely to respond to his touch which means she's less likely to try to crush or eat him.”

Climbing up a sleepers fur wasn't as easy of a task as one might expect. There were no great lengths of fur for Nathan to take hold of as he climbed. Rather the fur of a sleeper and a keeper was roughly the same length despite their massive size difference. This seemed to be related to the fact that their fur was a conductor and not an insulator and thus worked better if it was relatively short. He had chosen to climb up the side of her head though and to avoid her face for fear of her mouth. “Hey Zarena it's me. Do you remember? That scared little guy that had to brush out the inside of your mouth every once in a while. I bet part of you remembers me. Do you remember how I would talk with you whenever I was the only one in the room?”

Joseph actually grew concerned whenever he felt a powerful rubble and the air seemed to shiver. After a moment of looking around though he knew who it was coming from and recognized it. “She's purring.”

Maria was made to giggle as she noted the surprise in Joseph's voice. “Of course. She's getting loving attention from one of her brothers and seeing as how little she gets of that it's not surprising she's happy even in her sleeping state. Besides if she was growling in anger we'd already be reconsidering this.”

Nathan, “That's a sweet sound. I wonder if you'll even know it was me who would brush the hair on your tummy back then and clean off your nails. I wonder what your voice sounds like that. You know in all the time I've been coming here I've never heard you speak a single word. Will you be scared when you wake up? Perhaps you'll be frightened that the world has changed more then you expected it to and you won't know what to do. Things have changed and I bet you'll like how they've changed.”

While he was speaking to her Zarena's massive body began to respond. Her tail began to flick across the ground ever so slowly while her right hand began to open and close causing her claws to respond. She gave a slight sigh and shifted just enough to be noticed but not enough to cause Nathan to fall off. She then settled down and once again relaxed while Nathan finally made the climb atop her face and began to make his way towards her eye.

Chapter 25 by happiest_in_shadows

The feeling of Zarena's fur beneath his feet was something else. It was a feeling that had slipped to the back of his mind but never been forgotten. At first he had been quite frightened by the massive sleeper but as time had passed he had become more relaxed and grew to enjoy his time tending to her. Then he had became more responsible and older. He'd been given new tasks and in time it had become difficult to make time to come down and see her not to mention a little strange. Now he was back to the day's of his youth though as he approached her eye and began to gently rub her eye lid. He would need her unknowing cooperation if he was going to put the shaper on her.

Mirin found himself having to contain his anticipation as he watched Mirin tending to Zarena's eye. Normally he would have found himself fidgeting with his hands but he kept them still. He didn't want to risk upsetting his injuries more then they already were. Still, it was a exciting moment and he found himself raising up on his toes several times in an attempt to get a better look. Just waking up a sleeper for feeding was something of a time of excitement as to see such a massive living creature was truly astounding. This went far beyond that though as he knew they'd soon see her in battle. He managed to settle down as he saw Nathan leaning against the side of Zarena's eye and then backing away.

Nathan, “Alright the shaper has been placed. Now we just have to wait for it to supply her with enough energy to begin waking up. Give me a moment to climb down and I'll be right back up.”

As they watched Nathan Joseph had to ask. “I was told that sleepers were in a delicate condition and waking them up the wrong way could kill them.”

Mirin, “You're thinking about sisters who are being punished a sleeper is a different story to an extent. Put simply the larger a sister is the less likely she is to experience side affects whenever she wakes up. A sister who's body has gone down to the size of a child's is in a very delicate condition indeed. Zarena though well we're just careful about how we wake her up so she doesn't wake up thinking only of food and mistake some of us for it.”

Joseph, “I see. So what are you going to say whenever she first wakes up?”

Mirin, “Well I'm planning on Nathan doing all the talking whenever she revives. I just hope she doesn't stand up too quickly or she's going to break our ceiling.”

While everyone was watching Zarena Dan glanced up at Mina who was stand beside him. He reached up and wrapped his arm around her thigh to get her attention when she looked down at him he had a smile. “Perhaps before this is all over you'll be that big as well. Actually, I bet you could get even bigger.”

A large grin formed on Mina's face as she reached down and slipped one of her hands underneath Dan. She didn't bother asking as she lifted him up so that they were eye level his face close to hers. “Would you like to see me that big?”

Dan, “It would be something else. After all you're even bustier then she is.”

For a moment Mina was made to chuckle and lowered Dan so that he was closer to her chest. She then held him against her breasts while bringing her head down closer to his ear. “If I was that big you might get lost between them and not be able to find your way out.”

“I can think of some other places I might get lost.”

“Oh!” Before continuing Mina brought her tail around and completely engulfed Dan's head with the tip of her tail. “Like maybe in there.”

Dan was made to sputter and struggle as he tried to remove Mina's tail. Whenever he finally managed to do so with her blessing he had a wide grin on his face and reached up so that he could hold her neck. He remained in Mina's grasp even as they both turned to look at Zarena once again.

Joseph took in a deep breath and began to step back. As he did so though he felt his head bump into something rather warm and for a moment soft. His head turned upward and he found himself looking at the underside of a familiar sets of breasts. For a moment he thought Maria had moved closer to him but then realized his change in position. He had been moving closer to her the entire time.

Maria, “Is something wrong Joseph?”

Joseph, “No underside of Maria's boobs I'm alright. This situation is just a little unsettling.”

Maria didn't bother hiding her chuckle as she placed a hand against Joseph's chest and then pressed him against herself. “It's something else alright. There is always the fear that the sleeper will wake up in a poor mood and do something we'd all be made to regret. That's one reason why there is more then one sleeper. If one of them ever went out of control we would need to wake up two more quickly to deal with her as well as retreat to the citadel.”

Joseph, “I've never been to the citadel. Do you believe it could hold against her?”

“It's hard to say but it would be our best bet.” As Joseph went silent Maria removed her hand from his chests but wrapped her tail around him. He seemed to relax a bit.

***************************************************************************************************

There was an annoying tingling in her toes and fingers a tingle that had become increasingly noticeable as time went on. Unconsciously Zarena began to flex and move her toes and fingers trying to get the tingle to go away. Instead of going away though the tingle seemed to move up the rest of her body making it very hard for her to stay still. She began to shift her legs and arch her back in an attempt to get the feeling to stop. At the same time she was becoming more aware of the light around her and was beginning to understand the sounds that she was hearing. Her mouth felt rather on the dry side and her lips parted for a moment releasing a long sigh before being smacked together in an attempt to remove the dryness. She shifted slightly and began to roll onto her side.

Every movement the sleeper made could be felt throughout the heavy stone of the chamber and it brought everyone's attention back to her. The sight of her rolling onto her side actually brought a chuckle from Nathan as he realized that she was trying to remain asleep. Clearly she was having trouble doing this though as the moment she rolled onto her side her right leg began to rub up and down on the left in an attempt to remove an itch. It was quite a sight watching her fidget about and he risked a glance to the others who all seemed as focused as he was.

Mirin, “Nathan do you believe we should try to wake her up?”

Nathan, “No. It's best if we let her wake up on her own.”

Zarena gave a low grown as her body continued to encourage her to get up and move. No matter how she turned she couldn't get comfortable and thought began to make its way back into her mind. She didn't remember where she was but she knew that she  was laying down for the moment. She could hear sound and that sound was finally being recognized as voices some of them where familiar. The familiar voices soothed her as did a familiar scent though she couldn't place a name to the smell. This soothing actually made it harder for her to wake up until she noticed something strange. The scent seemed to be rather close to her face.

A long yawn escaped Zarena as she opened her mouth and let her eyes open ever so slightly. As she did so Joseph could see that her eyes were a deep blue made all the brighter by the color of her fur. For a moment they remained only half open and then they opened completely as if recognition was finally setting in and she brought herself to a seated position the ground creaking beneath her massive weight.  Both arms were reached out before her as she stretched her legs pushed against the ground and her toes and fingers spread extending her claws as she did so.

Nathan, “Happy waking Zarena.”

The familiar voice with no name once again touched her ears and Zarena turned her head to look at the walk way. A few of the faces she saw were familiar but she wasn't sure if they were her old friends or the children of those friends. One thing that did strike her as strange immediately was how small they appeared to be. She knew they weren't small enough as she noted the rather remarkable difference between them and the brothers that stood with them. She hadn't seen her sisters so large in a long time yet they appeared small. She realized what this meant and looked towards the group. “We're under attack from a very noteworthy enemy if you're waking me up.” 

Joseph was quite surprised when he heard Zarena speak as was everyone else apparently. Many had expected rolling thunder but her voice was soft with a lovely melody to it. She seemed more likely to chirp then actually talk. Was it a way of talking she had learned before becoming a sleeper to seem less threatening? It was a question that perhaps only Zarena knew.

Nathan, “Yes we are under attack and we need your help in dealing with this threat. How are you feeling though?”

Instead of responding right away Zarena reached down and placed a hand on her stomach. She closed her eyes and began to move her head from side to side while lightly humming as if letting herself be lost in thought. Her tail flicked across the ground a few times and then her eyes opened up once again. “I'm feeling alright. I'm not as hungry as I was the last time I was woken up actually. Strange normally the hustle of moving enough food in here to awaken me gently causes me to wake up before I feel this full but.” For a moment Zarena went silent and took in a deep breath noting the scent in the air and looking around herself. “Why don't I see any food?”

Nathan, “We used a different means to wake you up. On the side of your right eye and under your skin just slightly we placed a shaper which is currently channeling energy into your body. Can you feel it?”

Zarena, “Mm yes I believe I can. Yes I can now that I think about it. You clamped it in place. I take it the clamp is strong.”

Nathan, “As strong as we could make it. We believe the shaper is sturdy enough that you don't have to worry about breaking it or removing it as long as you don't try to do so intentionally.”

Zarena, “That is. Very impressive I have to say. I take it that this energy source has only so much power stored though. So where and who is this enemy so that I may deal with them?”

Nathan, “We don't know their exact location yet and no you're not attached to a battery system. Rather it's more like you're attached to a generator though I don't even know if that is the proper description. A generator that hasn't even been brought up to full power and was made by these two.” As he spoke Nathan indicated Dan and Joseph who was standing near their respective ladies. “This is Dan and Joseph and the ladies you see standing with them are Mina and Maria.”

For a moment Zarena wasn't certain what to say as she looked at the two men and two sisters. The ideal that this wasn't some stored energy source that would soon run dry was actually taking a moment to sink in. She didn't want to appear rood though. “That is quite remarkable! Then have you two managed to make your way into the citadel and perhaps regain some of our makers lost knowledge?”

Both men weren't certain what to say. Technically Zarena was no higher ranked then a matron who wasn't much higher ranked then a keeper for the most part. However, Zarena's size told another story about her rank and it took a moment for the men to compose themselves as those massive eyes focused on them. Yet the entire time Zarena remained silent and simply observed waiting patiently for the answer.

Dan, “No. We haven't managed to go into the citadel yet beyond where other brothers have reached. The creation that is to thank for this energy source was Joseph's work and it's aided us a great deal. It's what provides the energy for this system and has allowed our sisters to grow as much as they have.”

Zarena, “That is remarkable. You must be quite a talented young man. So are all sisters feeding on the same energy I am now?”

Dan, “No. You see what you're enjoying now is a byproduct of what the source was actually meant to provide. The others have been enjoying the fruits of the primary source and I mean fruits literally.”

Now Zarena turned her gaze completely on Joseph. The notion that this was simply a byproduct of what he had truly developed was quite staggering. “Would you mind telling me what this source is? I have to admit I'm quite curious.”

While before Dan had been answering the questions now Zarena was speaking directly to Joseph and it took a moment for this to register. It was something like a mountain suddenly deciding to have a few words with you. “Ah sure. Sure. Well the fruit Dan is telling you about grows from a tree I developed I named the life bloom due to the healing properties of the fruit that grows upon it.”

“It would seem I have missed out on a lot. I suppose we should return to business though. Um oh my.” For a moment Zarena felt herself begin to blush as she turned back to Nathan and Mirin. “It's clear you're the two ranking brothers here but I didn't think to ask your names.”

Nathan, “My name is Nathan and he is Mirin. The remaining keeper with us is Flora.

Zarena, “Well I am pleased to meet you all. Nathan why have you woken me up so soon if you don't know where the enemy is? Surely you know sleepers aren't to be awake for any longer then needed.”

Nathan, “We weren't certain of the exact time we would need you to become active so we chose to wake you up early. The decision was made based on your energy needs and our current energy system.”

Zarena, “I see. Well it does seem that you've gained a greater amount of resources since I went to sleep. I would like to stretch my legs now though I would appreciate it if you would come with me Nathan. You're clearly the eldest here and I have a great many questions I would like to have answered. Plus you're the one I feel most comfortable speaking to. I take it you tended to me while I was asleep.”

Nathan, “In my youth yes.”

Zarena, “Well it would appear you did a very good job. That or you cleaned me up very nicely before waking me up.” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as s he looked at the group. “I often wonder if you all truly keep me clean while I sleep or if you just let the dust build up until you need to wake us up so we think you are.”

Nathan, “Oh if you want I can go over the day to day cleaning activities. I still remember them quite well.”

Zarena, “That may be amusing.” As she spoke Zarena placed her hands on the ground and began to shift about so that her legs where underneath her in a kneeling position. She then reached up and placed her hands against the ceiling. “I take it you've kept the exit clear.”

Nathan, “Clear of anything we're concerned about.”

Zarena, “Good.” As she spoke Zarena began to push up on the ceiling. A low roar resounded throughout the area as thousands of roots and bonds were forced to snap as the roof began to lift off letting in the sun light. As the light began to fill the room Zarena was made to smile. She had been asleep the entire time but part of her still missed the sun light. As she lifted the roof though she was careful to keep it steady so that nothing slipped off and fell upon those watching her. With the ceiling held above her head Zarena shifted her legs and began to stand up to her full height the room itself only coming up to her waste as she got the full length of her legs under herself.

Pera took in a deep breath as she watched the ground rising and then the massive figure rose up from the opening. She could feel Allen taking hold of her as they both found themselves looking up at the massive sleeper. It was Allen who spoke though, “They really did it they woke up a sleeper.”

Pera, “Yeah. She's really big. I mean really big.”

With the ceiling held above her head Zarena took a moment to look around and noted a rather large group of brothers and sisters gathered to watch her. She gave a smile and brought her tail up quickly wagging it back and forth in a waving motion. The crowd seemed to get what she was doing as they began to wave back. “Hello brothers and sisters I'm happy to see so many of you are doing well and could come out to see me.”

Joseph, “Now that is something else. I really don't know if the energy system can provide enough power to keep someone that large active.” Even while Joseph was speaking his eyes were working their way up Zarena's massive form. It was one thing to see her laying down or setting up. It was quite another to see her actually standing and it was a fairly frightening moment especially when he considered that those muscles were even stronger then their size implied.

Nathan had felt a rush of excitement as he watched Zarena standing up. Of all the people there he had the most experience with Zarena yet it was still so limited. Now he would have a chance to speak to her and learn about her even though time would be truly limited. He was grateful for the chance and for all the work Joseph and Dan had put into the system that was currently sustaining her. “This may provoke our enemy to action sooner.”

Mirin, “Perhaps but then again it might inspire them to all flee the forest.”

Once she had set the ceiling down Zarena took in a deep breath and looked around at the forest for a moment. The trees around her chamber had changed a fair bit since she'd last seen them. She wondered if anyone had noticed the change in plant life or not. Whenever she's first gone to sleep they were older trees taller but more brittle in appearance. These trees were clearly younger and ready to stand for another few hundred years. Those she had set the ceiling down upon would have that cut short though. She didn't pay this much attention though as she turned her gaze down towards the group and bent at the knees extending her right hand. “I take it there is nothing against me walking around.”

Nathan, “No. You're free to explore the forest as you wish while you're awake.”

Zarena, “Wonderful! Now please climb on Nathan.”

Nathan didn't say good bye to those around him or wait another second. He climbed over the guardrail to the walkway and leaped onto Zarena's extended fingers. He didn't care that the show of agility went against the notion of a fragile old man that he often portray. He was more interested in speaking with the massive sleeper while he had a chance. He was glad that he remained on his knees though as Zarena straitened up and began to climb out of the room. The sudden change in altitude would have been enough to send him to his knees.

Once Zarena began to walk away Dan glanced down at Mirin, Mina having yet to set him down. “So Mirin is that how waking up a sleeper normally goes?”

Mirin, “I have no ideal. I kind of doubt she just wants to talk to Nathan though after all just because she was sleeping it doesn't mean her hormones haven't been building up.”

Dan, “Do you think he realizes that?”

Mirin, “Honestly it wouldn't surprise me. Still, I'm sure for now though they'll just want to speak. Mina, Flora before we depart I have to ask something. How did the meeting with the other sisters go as far as handling me?”

Flora, “That didn't really get very far. There was a lot of annoyance and anger and then our bubbles were popped and few knew what to say. Just don't bring it up Mirin that was some bitter medicine you gave us earlier and we're all not ready to talk about it yet.”

Mirin, “I see. Well at least you see it as medicine.”

***************************************************************************************************

Nathan seemed to be having trouble settling down though it didn't appear to be due to discomfort. Rather he seemed to be having trouble deciding where on her hand he would like to sit. He was constantly moving about and changing his position though his eyes kept looking up towards her face. Zarena felt it was cute and was made to grin as she watched him. There was things she wanted to know though. “So how long has it been since I was last revived.”

Nathan, “It's been forty three years since you were last woken up.”

Zarena, “Mm I believe that you were tending to me before that though. I remember a young brother watching me whenever I was last woken up to eat. A cute little fellow that didn't seem to be able to take his eyes of me while I ate but was too nervous to step out where I could see him entirely.”

Unlike a sister a brother didn't have fur to cover his blush. As Zarena talked Nathan felt his skin warming up and he was made to grin. “I'm surprised that you noticed.”

Zarena allowed a slight chuckle to escape her as she looked down at Nathan. “Yeah. I would have said something to you but I was going to be going to sleep again soon and well I. I guess I didn't want to risk getting attached. Even now I'm kind of reluctant to speak with too many people.”

Nathan, “Well I'm glad you decided to talk to me instead of going off and setting alone.”

Zarena, “It was hard to resist after what I learned when I woke up. So you've really come a long way in the quest for a new energy source. I bet the sisters that gave birth to those two is very proud. Why didn't I see them there?”

Nathan, “Actually, those two aren't naturally born brothers. Joseph came to us only very recently and Dan only joined us a few years earlier. Dan was actually one of the claimed for quite some time. The plant Joseph mentioned was actually developed for military use in another land.”

Zarena couldn't hide the look of surprise on her face as she stopped moving and looked down at Nathan. “That is. That's a little frightening don't you believe? I mean that level of magical development could mean that the outside world is beginning to relearn what our creators once knew.”

Nathan, “I don't believe you have anything to worry about. What Joseph did was remarkable however I've seen the methods he used. His genius isn't in the methods that he used but rather in the way he combined them. He found a new way to use the tools that millions have used before him and because of that he made his way to somewhere remarkable.”

Zarena, “You sound like you respect him a lot.”

Nathan, “I do but not just because of his alchemy. He has proven himself to be a wonderful brother. Zarena I've been wanting to ask. While you sleep do you dream?”

Zarena, “Yes we dream. At least I know that I do however my connection with the shadow realm is stronger then most sisters so that could influence my dreams or the likelihood of me dreaming.”

Nathan, “What do you dream about?”

A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she looked away from Nathan for a moment while she began walking. “Oh all sorts of things really some of it I believe you all cause. I've had several dreams in which I was laying down in the warm sun my feet extended into a river feeling the water run over my pads while a few brothers gently rubbed my tummy. I had that one quite often though which I suspect is due to me being cleaned.”

There was a grin from ear to ear on Nathan as he listened to Zarena. “It makes me glad that you've had such comfortable dreams.”

Zarena, “Yeah it's one of the things that makes becoming a sleeper easier. They are some nightmares though. I don't have them often but now that I'm fully awake I wonder about them. Most often the nightmare involves me waking up and finding the entire village empty. I search for everyone and go to the citadel only to find it empty. I search the forest, I search the nesting areas and finally I find the orcs or dryads or druids or something else and I ask them what happened to you all. They look at me and tell me that I'm the first one of my kind that they've ever seen. Fortunately those nightmares don't last too long.”

Nathan, “That must be horrible.”

Zarena, “It's frightening but the worse dreams are when I wake up and I go searching for everyone and they are no orcs or dryads or nymphs or even humans. The world is just empty and I'm all alone. I try returning to the forest and see if I can dig up the other sleepers but there is no way that I can find them. In the end I realize that the world is empty and I'm alone. Those are the ones in which I truly cry.”

Nathan, “Do these dreams come often?”

Zarena, “No and at times they have the most humerus way of ending. I remember one dream in which I was setting in the forest crying and then all of a sudden I felt something playing with my finger. I look down and there is a little boy making such a fuss over my claw. I don't know what to say so I extend it for him worried that he may get cut but he doesn't go away. Finally I can't resist myself and I begin to extend and retract my claw making him fight me to keep it extended.”

Nathan, “How do you do it Zarena? How do you go to sleep again and again knowing that you'll never form any lasting bonds?”

Zarena, “I do have lasting bonds though even if they aren't of the sort some of you have. I have a bond with all of you. I'm your protector and it makes me happy knowing that you can come to me whenever you're threatened by a power that you can't handle on your own. I may not have a bond with any one of you that will last but I have a bond with everyone of you and that I cherish. Don't get confused Nathan I have nightmares and some of them happen more then once but often my dreams are quiet and peaceful and happy. Just look at the good care you've all given me.  Even though none of you really know me you take such good care of me while I'm asleep.”

There was no immediate response from Nathan but he began to rub his hand against the little portion of Zarena's palm he could reach. “Thanks for sacrificing so much to protect us.”

Zarena, “You're welcome it isn't all bad though. Whenever I lay down to sleep I can't help but think of my sisters and how they must be handling their hunger. It's been a long time since I last felt it but I can still remember those times. I can remember setting around trying to behave normally while the whole time my hunger clawed at my mind. It made my temper shorten and focus hard to hold.”

Nathan, “I've thought of that at times. I know that I don't do as well when I'm hungry and our sisters are always hungry pretty much. What will they be like when that hunger ends though?”

Zarena, “They might reveal aspects of themselves that you haven't imagined yet.”

Nathan took a moment to himself to look at Zarena. He knew his next words might offend but they wouldn't stay in. “I feel like this is the first time I've truly spoken with a sister though I talk to them often. I know they are there when they speak with me but it is always the sister, me and their hunger it's never just the two of us. I can't help but think the hunger may cloud their judgment and make it hard for them to truly speak their minds.”

Zarena, “Nathan it does. You don't live with a constant hunger like theirs without losing part of yourself.”

Since her awakening this was the first time Nathan had noticed Zarena beginning to frown. Clearly this wasn't something she liked to think about. “I'm sorry.”

Zarena, “Don't feel that way you shouldn't. All you've done is spoken the truth. I know that I couldn't handle the responsibility of being a sleeper and having to deal with the hunger at the same time. I said that the hunger shortened by temper but in truth it shortens all our tempers and lowers our tolerance. It makes causing others pain more enjoyable then what it should be because in that moment we can share our suffering with someone else. It draws out the crueler and more self serving aspects of our nature and forces them to the surface and we must control them.”

Nathan, “You're all so kind though. To think that you're so kind even in your darker moments is something else.”

Zarena, “Well I'm glad you believe so but come now Nathan. Surely you don't believe that the Luvarians would have developed a species with such powerful bodies and predatory instincts to protect them and not given them a very loving disposition for those they're to protect? Especially considering that we have free will.”

Nathan, “I suppose that would be rather foolish. So you're saying that once your hunger ends your desire to hunt will go down?”

Zarena, “Oh quite a bit. Animals will quit looking quite so tasty and start looking cuter for the most part. It'll become harder for them to convince themselves to go in for the kill. Have you taken the time to examine the hunting habits of your sisters lately?”

Nathan, “We've been a little too busy.”

Zarena, “Once this is over take a moment to look at how often they go hunting and see how much it has changed. I bet you'll find that they're hunting less and what they are hunting tends to be more dangerous. When you're hungry everything taste better after all so you want to eat more.”

Nathan, “That should be interesting. So are they any downsides?”

Zarena, “Wellllll” A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she looked down at Nathan who was looking up at her with the same eye's he had when he was a child. She couldn't help but think he looked cute despite his advanced age. “They are some things that you might not care for as much. You see the larger we become the more fragile you brothers tend to look but becoming larger and more powerful is part of ending our hunger. Then when you diminish our hunger causing our predatory drive to weaken our maternal drive tends to become much stronger. Those things considered the desire to protect becomes much stronger.”

Now Nathan was grinning again, “Are you serious?”

Zarena, “Yes! I am very serious.”  An amused giggle escaped Zarena as Nathan was made to jump. “I can remember my time as a smaller sister. There was a desire to protest back then but it was always competing with the desire to eat. The Luvarians did a wonderful job of conditioning us to protect though as the desire to protect always won out whenever the situation involved life or death of a community member. At least it did with me. As I began to grow though the hunger faded and the desire to protect became stronger and stronger. Then I noticed how delicate everyone looked and I knew I had to protect you all. Knowing that whenever I lay down to sleep I was doing to protect everyone it helped ease the burden of knowing whenever I next woke a few of my friends would be dead and every time after that it would be the same way.”

Nathan,  “Is that why you're normally so quiet when you wake up?”

Zarena, “Yes. I don't know why I'm talking to you so much right now really. I suppose I should have just asked my questions and told you all to leave while I wait for the threat to reveal itself. When I saw you though and remembered you I didn't want to do that despite the pain it may cause.”

Before Nathan could comment he was hit by a sudden wave of sickness and would have been sent rolling if Zarena's hadn't shut her fingers around him. For a moment he lost his sense of direction and when he looked up he found that Zarena's had once again turned her gaze down towards him though this time her expression was different. She was lightly nibbling on her lower lip and seemed to be giving him a questioning look as if she wasn't sure of herself. How such a powerful being couldn't be sure of herself was a strange thought but that was the look she gave him. “Yes Zarena?”

Zarena, “Nathan I'm not sure if there is a subtle way to ask this question but I would like to know. While I'm allowed some extra time to enjoy myself would you like to explore this body of mine while I'm actually awake to participate with?”

The sudden stop had been quite a shock for Nathan but the question was a true bomb shell. Nathan took in a deep breath as he found himself looking up at the massive sleeper and felt his skin warming up again. “I have wondered what it would be like to have your permission and know that you're watching and remembering. Are you sure you wouldn't want to find a younger brother then me though?”

An amused giggle came from Zarena as she lifted Nathan so that he was eye level. “You can't fool me Nathan my eyes show me more then most. You're not nearly as weak as you let on and I remember you jumping over that guardrail. Your body is still in functioning order and then some. Besides I wonder what this will feel like against certain parts of me.” As she spoke Zarena brought up her free hand and extended her claw moving the dull edge so that it brushed against Nathan's beard.

When ones existence was maintained around sleeping and killing it seemed that they had to take advantage of other forms of pleasure whenever the situation arose. The question had been sudden and Nathan still wished to come to know Zarena better but with no ideal of how much time he could spend with her he didn't want to pass this chance up. Just as importantly though he didn't know how he would handle another brother laying with her.

Zarena, “Nathan. Nathan!” For a moment Zarena went silent as Nathan was made to jump and look up at her. “You went silent for a moment there. Was that too soon?”

Nathan, “In most situation yes it would have been but Zarena I don't know you as well as I believe I should before such decisions are made though what I do know about you I love. However, this isn't an ordinary situation when we don't know how long until you have to go off to battle then sleep again. I hope that you don't have to sleep again though.”

Zarena, “It would be a pleasant surprise but you seemed to hold more then hope when you said that.”

Nathan, “I don't know when you'll have to sleep again and I don't know how long it will take but the life bloom isn't complete yet. The energy you're feeding from now is due only to our current crop and it's still growing rapidly. I don't know what the final result will be but perhaps you won't have to sleep for another fifty years after this. That isn't the only discovery which has been made. Zarena this is an exciting time and I've glad I have lived long enough to see it. Even if you do have to sleep perhaps.”

Zarena, “Nathan stop. Let's not talk of that now. Hope is a wonderful thing and every time I lay down and see how well my brothers and sisters have been doing it grows. However, don't build me up too high.”

Nathan, “That is probably for the best. So where would you like to go? Would you like to return to your room?”

Zarena, “No. I have somewhere else in mind somewhere a little more private. At least as much privacy as someone like me can have.”

***************************************************************************************************

Maria, “Joseph are you alright?”

Joseph, “Huh?”

Maria, “Are you alright? You've been quiet since Zarena left and you've had a strange look on your face. What's going on in that head of yours?”

Joseph, “Is that how big one of you must become so that you no longer feel your hunger?”

Now it was Maria's turn to go silent as she looked at Joseph. It was a strange question but what made it stranger was the intensity in his eyes. “Yes Joseph. At least that's a rough estimate. A sleeper is a sister who has been allowed to grow until she no longer feels hunger but rather only must eat to sustain herself and repair her body. Any attempts to push a sleeper beyond that point has all failed but Zarena is one of the larger ones.”

Joseph, “For such a massive life form to survive she must use a massive amount of energy. When I consider how high performance the body of every sister is that massive amount of energy grows to the point that I can't even imagine and yet all of you want to achieve that stature and your first leader hoped to grant it to you. What kind of energy system was he working on that he believed could achieve such results and is it even possible to finish it?”

Maria, “We don't know what his exact intentions were but we don't all have to grow to that size right away. We're all grateful for what you've done to ease our hunger especially me.”

Instead of responding right away Joseph stopped walking and looked down at the ground. He closed his eyes for a moment and found himself slipping into his own thoughts. “I want to and all of your brothers want to free you from your hunger. However, this entire time they've all known the mountain they were trying to climb and yet they've continued to struggle up it instead of saying that's enough. I want to get you to the top of that mountain to though. I want to get you all there but especially you Maria but I don't know if it can be done.”

Before speaking Maria moved so that she was standing behind Joseph. She placed a gentle hand on his back nearly covering both of his shoulders as she did so. “Joseph, don't try to climb that mountain all by yourself you have others. Even if we don't reach the top within our life time we're stilling marching up it. We'll be free from our hunger one day.”

Joseph, “Once this is all over Maria I'm going to resume my studies of your ability to use mystic energy. The more I think about it the less likely I believe that anyone energy system could provide you all with what you require. However, perhaps there is a method that you can each provide for yourself. Even if you can't all provide everything you need even a few steps further up that mountain would help.”

Maria, “Now you have the right ideal.” For a moment Maria started to bend down to kiss Joseph but instead she placed a hand under his rear and lifted him up turning him as she did so. Once he was at eye level with her she brought him forward and pressed her lips against his completely engulfing them. As they kissed Maria took in a deep breath inhaling Joseph's scent and further committing it to a memory that was already engrained deep within her. She knew that she would never forget Joseph's scent for as long as she lived.

Once the kiss finally broke Joseph had to take in a deep breath as he looked into Maria's eyes. “You're beautiful and the bigger you are the more beauty there is.”

Maria, “Thank you. Perhaps soon I'll be promoted to keeper and allowed to grow even larger. That way you have even more to explore you handsome man you.”

Now Joseph was grinning again though it was a goofy grin as he looked at Maria. “I swear it's strange to hear that coming from those lips. I never imagined myself as particularly handsome and if someone had told me I would end up with a beauty like you I would have thought they were nuts. Well that or that they were telling me I would end up with a gold digger.”

Maria, “A gold digger?”

Joseph, “It means a woman who is only with a man due to his wealth. Her love for him is pretty much based entirely on how much money he can give her to spend.”

Maria, “Why are they called gold diggers though? I always thought humans considered mining to be very hard.”

Joseph, “Not whenever she's mining it from an easy mark like a wealthy man who's too foolish to realize that he's being mined.”

After a moment of silence Maria gave a shrug and shifted Joseph's position slightly so that he was held against her chest and she had freed up her left arm. With her arm freed up Maria broke into a sprint carrying Joseph back to their home. “So Joseph are you going to begin working on more shapers now that Zarena is awake?”

Joseph, “No. Others can take care of making the shapers I have something else that I would like to look into to be honest. Maria do you believe you could take me to the citadel?”

Now Maria was made to slow as she looked at Joseph. “Joseph, why do you want to go to the citadel? We have all the books we can reach and other material copied and stored in the library.”

Joseph, “Are you sure of that Maria? My experiment with you and your ability to use magic items at least has left me wondering if their search wasn't as detailed as it needs to be. I would really like to see the citadel for myself.”

Maria, “Joseph I can't take you to the citadel on my own. I don't have that authority but I can speak with my mother and Mina if you really want to go. If you can convince them you have a true reason for wanting to see the citadel and go inside of it I'm sure they'll allow it. If you and Dan go together it would help a lot though.”

Joseph, “Could you take me to speak with them then?”

Maria, “Sure.”

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena, “Do you like it?”

Nathan took in a deep breath as he found himself looking out towards the ocean. The warm sea air struck his face and he looked up towards Zarena's smiling face. “How did you find this spot?”

Zarena, “I found it back whenever I was a matron and exploring the forest. This seemed like an ideal spot to have some private time back then and it still works quite well now.” As she spoke Zarena lifted Nathan so that he could look behind her.

Currently there was a massive cliff to Zarena's back which as long as she was setting rose up to shoulder height to her. A small strip of land just slightly larger then a sleeper rested beneath the cliff though it would most likely be underwater when the tide began to come in. It was wonderfully isolated, surrounded on all sides and nearly a death trap to anyone who couldn't endure the waves or climb up the cliff once the tides began to roll in. This made it ideal for a matron or even a sleeper apparently. “Has it changed since you were last here?”

Zarena, “The water has taken more of the cliff since my last visit. That's only to be expected though and it just means there is more beach to enjoy.” As she spoke Zarena settled down and extended her legs so that her head slipped below the level of the cliff. She brought her left hand up and gently ran her index finger against Nathan who responded by leaning into her finger and giving it as firm of a kiss as he could manage. He had learned in his time with keepers and even matrons that firm tended to work better then gentle when with such a lady.  “So you've been exploring my naked body for how many years while you tended to me? How about you let me see just how good of care my sisters have taken care of you.”

Nathan, “Okay but let's not talk about this too much.” As Nathan spoke he removed a few clasp from his robe and let them slide to the ground. Underneath he wore some simple trousers and a shirt the shirt he wasted no time removing revealing some very noteworthy arms and a toned chest though his abdominal muscles were hidden behind a slight belly. 

A low per came from Zarena as she looked at Nathan. Her finger lowered and she let her claw extended so to run the backside of the talon against Nathan's stomach. “There is some nice tone behind there. So do you have as much stamina as you appear to?”

With Zarena's claw so close Nathan couldn't help but think how dull it looked compared to what it should be. The next time she woke up he would insure that was fixed if he was still alive. “Well the sisters I have been with seem to forgive or overlook the slight pudge thanks to it. Actually, I think you tend to enjoy greater stamina in your guys even if it means them having a bit of a stomach.”

Zarena, “Mm I do.”

Nathan, “Just keep in mind that I still only have the stamina of a human.”

Zarena, “Well that's fair. Now how about you show me the rest.” As she spoke Zarena's claw left Nathan's stomach and pressed against the top of his trousers in doing so pulling them down slightly.

Instead of dropping his pants Nathan took hold of Zarena's finger and lifted up on it. She obliged by moving her finger until it was level with his face. Once it was level and the claw drew back inside of her finger Nathan leaned forward and gave the tip of Zarena's massive finger another kiss. Instead of stopping at one though he proceeded to give either side of her finger as well as the top and base a kiss each time noting how her fur tickled his face and taking note of her scent. “I believe I would rather have you remove them.”

Zarena, “Oh? Aren't you scared that I might tear them?”

Nathan, “Well perhaps you will but if that's the case then I believe I should be more worried you might break me. I've learned a while back that when dealing with a sister who hasn't received any attention for some time it's best to move slowly as one may.”

***************************************************************************************************

Flora took in a deep breath as she looked at her daughter. Her question hadn't been what she had expected that was true. “Well I suppose we won't learn anything new if everyone is kept away from the citadel and at times we do need to try things. Your primary project is finished for now with the awakening of Zarena or at least your involvement is done. You've also proven yourself a very different thinker then the other brothers which may help you see something different. Dan you also have different eyes then rest of us. However, Joseph you must realize that most who are allowed to enter the citadel are rank eight or nine.”

Joseph, “I know Flora. However, what's the harm in me going now? If I don't find anything new then I have done no harm and if I do find something then we'll have the knowledge all the sooner.”

Flora, “That is true but Mina give me a hand here.”

Mina had been silent while Flora had been speaking and clearly thinking. Her gaze turned towards Dan several times but when Flora spoke to her she looked to the group. “Flora you and I could be considered rank 8 so we have permission to visit the citadel whenever we think we've found something. Sure Joseph and Dan are only rank sevens but they've done more then most rank eights already and we both trust them. I'm willing to carry the responsibility for any damage they may cause while on their visit how about you.”

Flora, “Oh this isn't fun. Okay I too will carry that responsibility but Joseph Dan. Don't give me any reason to regret this choice. Dan you do realize that Joseph will need you to go as well just to lend some weight to this visit right?”

Dan gave a quick nod. “Yeah and to be honest I want to see the inside of the citadel myself. I've been before but those visits were so short. Joseph what are you looking for though? You know we're going to need an official reason.”

Joseph, “I want to see exactly what material told the brothers of old that the sisters could not use magic. If there is anything saying that I believe that what's found in the library might have a translation error.”

Dan, “Well that sounds like a good enough reason to me considering your findings. Though there may be another problem Joseph. Not all the tomes in the citadel are written in the same language as we read.”

Maria, “Don't worry about that! I can read the ancient language.”

Both Joseph and Dan found themselves turning to look at Maria who had a wide grin on her face. It was Joseph who spoke though. “When did you learn that?”

Maria, “I began learning about three weeks after I woke up from my punishment and realized how fast I was. Everything was moving so slowly around me that I nearly went nuts so I started working on other things. I believe I surprised everyone whenever they realized how fast I was learning though.”

Joseph, “Well you sure surprised us. How long did it take you to learn to read their language?”

Maria, “It took a few weeks during which I would devote a few hours a day to studying.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she noted Joseph and Dan's expressions. By now her tail had began to flick back and forth happily wagging as she grinned at the two of them. It was rare she had a chance to surprise Joseph with her intelligence and she couldn't pass this chance up.

Dan, “Well then I guess we have our translator. Shall we depart?”

For a moment everyone went silent but turned to Flora. The fact that Mina wasn't speaking up actually made her frown slightly as this was one call she didn't want to make. “Oh fine then! Just be careful once we get inside and make sure you don't do anything that might set off the citadel protectors.”

***************************************************************************************************

Nathan held on as firmly as he could to Zarena's upper lip while his feet pushed against her lower having actually slipped slightly into her mouth. Every time she would exhale a rush of moist hot air would hit him causing his trousers to stick to him. He leaned forward and pressed his lips against Zarena's upper lips but instead of stopping at a kiss he opened his mouth and bit down on as much of the flesh as he could. This extra stimulation seemed to appeal to her as her lips responded. His grip began to fail though as Zarena began to part her massive mouth and he looked down into the void past teeth long and sharp enough to be impaled on to a throat that could swallow him down entirely.

Zarena had no intentions of allowing Nathan to fall down her throat. Rather as her lips and teeth parted her massive tongue reached up out of her mouth and pressed against Nathan soaking him in her saliva. For a moment she pushed up with enough force to lift him from her lips. As she did so though she felt his hands take hold of her tongue and she gave an excited giggle. While she had planned to let Nathan come to rest upon her lips once again she opened her mouth entirely and brought her tongue and Nathan into the massive void. Without a single word she closed her lips and teeth tight trapping him within her mouth. Instead of feeling Nathan struggling though she felt Nathan kissing her tongue and even licking it.

A sleeper wasn't like most sisters. They didn't live amongst the sisters or brothers forming deep bonds so they had few direct connections. Yet Nathan felt a strong connection to Zarena and no fear came to him as she closed her mouth around him. He was surprised when her tongue pushed up on him suddenly despite that lack of fear though especially as she felt her mouth moving around him. He felt something very solid and warm brush against his foot moments later and then there was a sudden rush of movement. The feeling that had brushed against his food was now against his entire body. What he noted most though was that he couldn't feel any pants between his legs and Zarena's teeth.

It was with utter delight that Zarena opened her mouth and plucked Nathan out with one hand. As she removed him though another came in and removed his shredded trousers holding them up for him to see. “So what do you think of that Nathan?”

Despite what he had felt Nathan took a moment to realize what Zarena was talking about. A rush of adrenaline ran throughout him and he found himself actually shaking for a moment. “That's amazing! Could you actually tell where I was just by the feeling?”

Zarena, “Wellll no. You see Nathan I could actually see you in a sense while you were inside of my mouth. You might recall my eyes let me see more then just light. Whatever part of me perceives mystic energies can see more then what's directly in front of me. Let's not think about such things for now though.” As she finished speaking Zarena let her massive tongue flick out once again and twisted it to the side slightly.

Nathan was made to gasp as he felt Zarena's massive tongue press against his crotch and then lightly twist before slowly moving up. How she managed to get her tongue to move like that was beyond him but the results were hard to deny. He felt the tip of her tongue move slightly higher then his crotch then lower back down until it slipped under his penis and actually lifted his penis as it moved up. His legs parted to allow her tongue more room and he felt it move around the sides. As her tongue sent shivers through his body though he found himself looking directly at Zarena's slightly parted mouth. Even now he could see those massive gleaming white teeth inside and the all consuming darkness within. It was a terrifying site yet accompanied with such pleasure it was making it very hard for him to think clearly.

With Nathan held so close to her face it was impossible for Zarena not to notice his scent. She could smell excitement and fear all at once. The way he squirmed between her fingers excited her and her eyes focused on him. She had to be careful during these times as in truth part of her wanted to frighten Nathan to bring him to a more excited state and get his adrenalin going. At the same time though she didn't want fear to be his dominant reaction. His stiffened penis told her that fear most assuredly wasn't dominating his mind at the moment as she felt his penis begin to pulse under her tongue. She chose to bring the fear to another level as she suddenly lifted Nathan higher and turned her head up towards the sky opening her massive mouth.

The sudden change in height though relatively small and finding himself staring down into Zarena's massive mouth as well as the stimulation her tongue was providing was too much. Nathan found himself beginning to shiver and grasped the tip of her tongue with both hands. A low groan escaped him as he tried to control himself but the slightest shift of Zarena's tongue was too much as he found himself cumming his entire load vanishing into Zarena's massive mouth seemed entirely insignificant and his body grew limp between her massive fingers.

A low moan came from Zarena as she tasted Nathan's cum and her left hand traveled down to her lower lips. As she pressed her fingers against her petals she could tell she was already quite stimulated. “Okay Nathan now it's time for you to return the favor.” As she spoke Zarena lowered Nathan so that he was against her right breasts just over her nipple.

Nathan didn't wait for instruction but reached up and grasped Zarena's nipple in both of his hands. Despite having spent his load he was determined to show her his stamina so that instead of just grasping her tip of her nipple he began to pull up on it pressing both of his feet into her massive tit as he did so. He didn't intend to just grasp or pull on her nipple but began the process of actually climbing onto it. This seemed to have the desired affect as he heard Zarena give an excited yelp as she felt his feet leave her palm. Thoughts of his own excitement left Nathan's mind though it was there as he began to struggle atop her nipple. Due to Zarena's scale and the awkward climbing position this was proving to be quite a task.

There was temptation to remove her hand and use it to tend to her own needs as Nathan tried to climb atop her nipple. Zarena chose to keep it there to insure he didn't fall though while her left hand began to rub her petals all the more vigorously. The claw of her index finger was made to extend and she began to run it around the sides of her clitoris while her tail was brought up and gently brushed against the front of her left breasts the soft fur tickling her nipple as it passed over as her body began to squirm under the stimulation.

The shifting of Zarena's body sent a quake throughout her breasts and the land. While atop her breasts Nathan was able to experience the slightly jiggling of her flesh and hear the sound of the earth being crushed under her massive weight. The sound served as a constant reminder of how massive she truly was and  this served to excite Nathan all the more. As a natural born brother they often learned that tall and powerful was sexy and Zarena was one of the best embodiments of that notion he could imagine and truly the best he could hope to experience. With his right leg shifting onto Zarena's nipple Nathan gave a sigh of relief as he finally found himself astride her nipple and wrapped his legs around as much of it as he could. At the same time he did not release his grip on the tip of her nipple but instead grasped it all the more firmly and began to push outward on her nipple.  

***************************************************************************************************

Joseph wasn't certain what to say as he stepped into the courtyard and looked around. The citadel courtyard was set up as four major sections with a large water fountain in the middle. Each section housed a variety of flowers of a type he did not recognize. In between each section there was a path one of them leading towards what he assumed was the main entrance, one leading to the exit and the other two he wasn't certain where they lead. The citadel itself was a large structure consisting of five major buildings. Four external buildings with rather noteworthy passages leading to them which formed into rather impressive towers while the central building was actually a fair bit shorter then either of the four towers. All four of them were surrounded by a single heavy wall.

Windows looked out over the courtyard from the main building and towers but none at ground level. As Joseph looked around he imagined the window closest to the ground at least eight meters from it. Climbing to it wouldn't have been a pleasant task for most creatures especially due to the stonework. As Joseph neared the building the walls truly appeared to be perfectly smooth as if they had all been carved from the same stone. The walls had been formed so perfectly that even vines didn't seem to be able to find a point to begin climbing them. Those few plants that had managed to find a home on the walls where  actually anchored to the windows above.

Each window was quite surprising as well. They were colored glass and the imagines they depicted were of creatures he hadn't seen before except for the largest window of the central building. The imagine was quite clearly two sisters standing with a robed figure which Joseph guessed to represent a Luvarian. The doors to the main building itself contrasted with the building as while the stone was white the doors were a deep black metal and clearly had been made so they wouldn't be easy to open.

Maria, “So what do you think?”

Joseph, “It's impressive those walls are alchemically treated to fuse the stone aren't they?”

Mina, “We can't say for sure only that we know magic was involved.”

For a moment Joseph was silent. “I have to admit though it isn't as big as I imagined it would be.”

Maria, “Oh! You haven't seen the inside. Only a small portion of the citadel is above ground the majority is below.”

Joseph, “Interesting, what were those towers used for?”

Mina, “They were mostly used for housing simpler research projects that wouldn't risk jumping to their deaths and housing. At least that's what we believe. We haven't actually been able to get into them.”

Joseph, “I see. Well please lead the way. I assume nothing is going to jump out and eat me in the garden.”

Before speaking Maria reached down and took hold of Joseph. She then moved him away from the side of the path and began to guide him towards the entrance. “Stay away from the plants.”

Now Joseph felt himself growing concerned and he turned his head back to look up at Maria who was still guiding him. “Are you serious?”

Maria, “Let's not find out about that.”

Dan had a grin on his face as he watched Joseph and Maria moving ahead of them. His gaze turned up towards Mina who was already looking down at him. “Shall we go?”

Mina, “Yes. Let's get inside and see if we draw more attention.”

Dan, “More attention?”

Mina, “The protectors are already watching us. I saw one of them up in that tower.” As she spoke Mina pointed towards the northeastern tower.

Dan's reaction was instinctive. He turned and looked up towards the window and there he saw one of the protectors looking down into the courtyard. What he saw surprised him though. He didn't get the feeling that she was watching them only that she was looking into the courtyard. For a moment he continued to look at her. He watched her head slowly turn and look away only to return to observing them moments later. Her shoulder was moving as well as if she was using her arm. “Mina I'm not sure if she's watching us.”

Instead of responding Mina looked towards the protector as well it only took her a moment to turn her attention back towards Dan. “Let's get inside with Joseph and Maria.”

For the moment Joseph had no ideal of how old the building was but as he stood in the entrance he couldn't help but feel as if he was in the hall of some grand shop or something similar. There was a desk in the middle of the room which would have easily accommodate three people at once with arias set out for writing implements and other items he imagined. The room had chairs set throughout it some lining the walls while others were more towards the center of the room. “Maria this looks like a merchants guild.”

Maria, “The Luvarians were businessmen. You just came to them for a very special merchandise and this was a major hub for supplies. I imagine this is where the higher ranking Luvarians came to wait and ask for supplies from the forest. It's not like they all had the authority to demand what they wanted.”

Joseph, “I see. What way do we go now?”

No immediate response came from Maria as she pointed down one of the hallways. “I can take you down that hallway but there is no guarantee you'll get to the library Joseph. This place has a mind of its own after all. The first thing you need to do though is come over here.” As she was speaking Maria lead Joseph over to a table on which a crystal sphere set in a small stand.

Joseph, “What is that Maria?”

Maria, “I guess you could say its your sign in sheet. You just need to place your hand on the crystal for a little while and let it do its thing. Once the crystal is finished the citadel should let you in some rooms sense you're an alchemist. We've had brothers who lacked any form of magic training and it simply refused to recognize them. I guess you had to have some magic to even get past these doors.”

To this Joseph gave a nod and walked over to the sphere. A moment of nervous hesitation from him and he placed his hand on the crystal. Immediately the crystal lit up and he felt a warmth on his palm as well as a slight tingling. “Is it suppose to tickle?”

Maria, “That seems to differ from brother to brother but it's not something that hasn't been encountered before. Don't worry no one has ever been killed at this stage.”

Joseph, “That's good to know.” As the words left his mouth Joseph watched the crystal glow brightly and then return to its original color. “Now what?”

Maria, “It's done checking you out. Okay shall we be on our way?”

Joseph, “What about Dan?”

Dan, “I've already been here before and let it examined me then so it's alright. My time here was limited though as I was helping another brother with one of his projects at the time.”

Joseph, “I see.”

As Maria began to walk she hooked her tail behind Joseph's back and began to pull him along as she walked towards the door she knew would work for them. There was no door to be seen but a slight ripple in the air and a tingle that touched even her told Maria there was a spell there as she walked through it. Despite her confidence that Joseph would be accepted this far she was relieved when she looked back and saw him pass through. “The students library is down this way. Well students and guest library from what we know.”

After a moment Joseph gave a nod and stepped forward actually moving in front of Maria as he began to walk down the hallway. As he moved though he noted what appeared to be crystals lining the walls illuminating the hall. There was something strange about them. As he looked closer he noted there seemed to be a fluid inside of them that was actually giving off the light. Immediately he was made to wonder how long each of those lights had been burning but for now suppressed the questions. He had other concerns. A very notable one occurring right next to him as he felt something walk past them and found himself looking at the back of a massive sister who was still moving on.

All four of the guest went still as the protector walked by them. However, she appeared to have no interest in them but continued down the hall. It was Maria who spoke though. “Did you see what she was carrying?”

Mina, “It looked like she had a few flasks though I don't know what was inside of them. Could you smell anything?”

Maria, “No. They were completely clean.”

Joseph, “Was that a bad thing?”

Mina, “No. It was just an odd thing let's keep going. The library is down at the end of his hall they're some rooms on the side but let's keep out of them for the time being. We have a job to do here after all.”

After a moment of hesitation everyone seemed to nod even Mina before they continued down the hall. As Joseph was walking though he couldn't help but notice the feeling of magic flowing around them. It was a strange magic one that he couldn't quite recognize though. It was far more stable then anything he'd ever felt before it seemed to make breathing easier and his body feel lighter and yet it carried a burden as well. Joseph felt like he was being watched.

Maria was only content to let Joseph have the lead for so long. As they neared the library she moved to stand in front of him once again though she continued walking. “Once inside Joseph you'll see a large crystal in the center of the room. You need to touch it for a moment and think about gathering information. You'll feel a slight drain and then a small wisp will form it will guide you through the library.”

Joseph, “What's the drain?”

Maria, “The wisp uses your energies to sustain itself. We can't use the crystal though as we can't use magic but don't worry. The wisp can't leave the library so once we go to leave it'll return to the crystal on its own. Some of our brothers trained in spell casting can actually dismiss the wisp on their own but well I'm not sure if an alchemist can.”

After a moment Joseph gave a nod but he still held his breath as he stepped into the library. What he found was rather surprising. In the center of the room there was indeed a massive crystal easily the size of a dozen or more large men. The crystal took on the figure of a winged woman with her wings folded around her so that from the entrance her hands were obscured and she was clearly looking down into them. After a little maneuvering Joseph  noted she held a book in her hands though he couldn't actually make out any words or see any writing upon it. A tiara adorned the crystals head while a few lights emerged from the crystal at random moments then would return to it.

Maira, “I bet you didn't expect the crystal to look like her did you?”

Joseph, “No. I did not expect her to look like that. Do you know what she is?”

Maria, “Other then the storage area for the wisp and a lot of information we can't access? No. Given how much care was put into crafting her form though many speculate that she has to have some greater function.”

Joseph, “The Luvarians liked the female form a lot didn't they?”

Dan had been silent most the time but now he had to speak up. “That's what I said! You haven't even seen the half of it though. The vast majority of golems that they developed or the more humanoid ones tended to all take on more feminine forms then masculine forms. It's kind of strange when you consider the ideal that these golems were meant for war don't you think?”

Joseph, “That is a strange thought. Anyway do both Dan and I need to awaken a wisp or just one of us?”

Dan, “We only need one. Actually why don't you let me awaken a wisp? I never actually got to make the attempt when I came here.”

Joseph, “Well. I actually want to try as well.” It was impossible for Joseph not to grin despite their situation as he looked at Dan. “So how about we both awaken one anyway?”

Dan, “Sure. Just make sure you don't touch the statue twice. It seems that when you touch it more then once you're not trying to dismiss your wisp but rather you're requesting a more powerful one or the one you have to be strengthened. I've never actually seen it done but apparently it was quite a strain on the brother who did so.”

Joseph, “That's interesting what was the difference between that wisp though and the regular one?”

Dan, “From what I know it was far more intelligent but there might have been other things. They really didn't get to find out. Fortunately if the wisp is too much of a drain and you black out it apparently returns to the statue on its own rather then remaining and continuing to drain away your energy until you die. I've at times wondered what the strongest wisp inside of that statue is but the highest anyone has managed to bring them was four before it proved to be too much.”

Joseph, “Only four? If they're putting such a heavy drain upon the caster then they have to be providing more then an information service.”

Mina, “Joseph, Dan that's enough side tracking. You have something important to do.”

Dan, “Sorry Mina I guess I'm just a little nervous.”

Joseph, “Yeah, Okay to it then.” As he spoke Joseph walked over to the statue and reached out placing a hand on her folded leg. As he touched the statues leg he was surprised such that he was made to recoil. The statue was warm as if it was made from human flesh but what was truly surprising was the feel of the statues leg. It wasn't the feeling of hard stone but warm skin and muscle. He didn't have much time to think about it as a light emerged from within the statue and began to float about his head as if waiting. A sudden wave of dizziness hit him before he could make any comments.

By now Dan had also placed his hand on the statue and awakened his wisp. As it moved about he looked towards Joseph. “Did you feel that?”

Joseph, “Yeah I'm alright though. Now what do we do?”

Dan, “From what I know they're sort of like a magical item. You just need to focus on them the same way and think about what information you want to find.” Even as he was speaking Dan found himself focusing. The wisp actually began to respond moments later giving off brief flashes of light as well as sound that he recognized as a melody. The wisp then began to float ahead of him moving towards some stairs. “Are you coming Joseph?”

Joseph, “It seems we asked different questions Dan. Mine says go this way.”

For a moment Dan glanced over at Joseph and then nodded. “Well then we'll talk about that later. Let's each just go with our own wisp and see where it takes us. Mina are you coming?”

Mina, “No. I'm going to wait right here for the two of you. Just remember not to damage anything and you'll both be safe.”

Joseph almost fell over whenever he heard Mina's words and realized Maria wasn't with him either. When he looked back he found both sisters had made themselves comfortable at a rather large desk and while they were watching they weren't following. It was a strange moment. He was in an unknown location and Maria wasn't right there with him when she wouldn't have normally  let him move more then a few meters away from her. He would need to ask her about that later.

With Dan and Joseph going their own ways Maria turned to look at Mina. “It just doesn't feel like we should follow them here. Which is kind of strange considering that they'll need me to translate the books for them.”

Mina, “I know but if we stay near them we just make the burden of maintaining those wisp even harder. Did you see how Joseph stumbled whenever he first felt the influence of the wisp?”

Maria, “Yeah I noticed. Dan seemed to handle it better then he did though. Do you think there was a reason?”

Mina, “Dan knew what was coming.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she looked at Mina. “You mean you're not going to take that chance to brag about Dan?”

Mina, “Oh I'll brag about him later. We're friends though and there is no reason for big talk. I respect Joseph to.”

Maria, “Thanks Mina. Do you have any idea what they asked their wisp to cause them to be led off in different directions?”

Mina, “I wish that I did.”

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena, “Mm I wonder how I'm going to get you back to your home now.”

As Zarena was speaking she had been moving her massive finger around him causing the surface of her breasts to shift and move about. It was a pleasant sensation and it took Nathan a moment to respond. “Well that's what the robe is for. I have some spare pants inside my home and as long as I use the robe no one will know I'm not wearing anything under it.”

Zarena, “Oh now that's kinky.”

Nathan, “Well it's a habit one develops when with you sisters. Believe me you're not the first sister who has destroyed my pants.”

Zarena, “You don't say. Well your not the first brother who's pants I've destroyed.”

Nathan, “Really! You mean I'm not your first!”

Zarena, “Nope!” The moment the word left her mouth both Zarena and Nathan found themselves chuckling as the two looked at one another. “You're the first one I've been with in a very long time though.”

Nathan, “So did you have one big orgy the day before you became a sleeper to celebrate your last bit of freedom before you had to go to sleep?”

Zarena, “You'd think we would do that but it isn't the case. No. On the night before I was to begin eating in order to grow to sleeper status well it was pretty quiet. I spent a lot of time walking around and looking at the various buildings and trees. I took in a lot of smells and I wondered how things would have changed whenever I woke up. The next day I spent a lot of time saying good bye to my friends.”

Nathan, “Zarena did you have many that were close to you whenever you volunteered. I mean what caused you to volunteer?”

Zarena, “Their was a roll that needed to be filled and it had some benefits to it. My mother and father were still alive back then though I had moved off and became plenty independent. I didn't have a mate at a time but I had some very close friends. I believe they might have been more torn up by my decision then I was.”

Nathan, “I only know of one  sister that volunteered to go to sleep. Well other then the sleepers themselves.”

Zarena, “Who is that?”

Nathan, “It was Mina the keeper you saw earlier. You probably guessed it but she has a rather powerful mutation. She didn't develop it due to being punished though. Rather she volunteered to go to sleep during a time of shortage.”

Zarena, “Oh wow. She didn't even get to become a sleeper though. What brought her to make such a decision?”

Nathan, “It was a while back whenever their hadn't been much rain fall and the forest was showing the signs of it. There had been a bit of a scuffle and well Mina's mother got caught up in it. She didn't make it through the fight though. Mina was pretty torn up as we are so you can imagine that her murderers paid. After that though Mina just began to shut down. She had friends but not a huge amount of them and the grief from her mother's loss plus the hunger well she came to the brothers. She told them that she wanted to go into the deep sleep. You can imagine how surprised we were.”

Zarena, “Did you refuse?”

Nathan, “At first but she argued that with food supplies low it would help the others. She even claimed that she would rather go to sleep then spend all her time even hungrier then normal. She used better wording then that though. In the end we gave in and Mina became the first sister to voluntarily take the deep sleep without being a sleeper herself. She stayed asleep for most of the lean times but we chose to wake her up whenever she became so small that she might be in danger. We got a surprise when she woke up.”

Zarena, “You mean her mutation.”

Nathan, “She was still a tiny thing you have to understand as she hadn't been eating. However, the first thing she did when she woke up was reach out and take hold of a keepers arm. She broke her arm pretty much immediately. From what I know the look of concern on her face was something else. Fortunately those there kept things under control and Mina was nursed back to health. Her muscles began to come in roughly two days after she'd been woken up.”

Zarena, “I see. To decide to go into the sleep rather then deal with the pain of losing her mother she must have been in a lot of pain. What prevented her from going back to sleep again though? After all her mother hadn't come back.”

Nathan, “That would be Dan. We insisted that Mina grow herself back to a healthier size before she went to sleep again so she started taking on regular tasks again. This included taking care of the claimed and amongst those claimed was Dan. You can say that he was brought in just at the right time. Otherwise I think Mina would have remained awake for a year at most and then went back to sleep.”

For a moment Zarena was silent and looked up at the sky. “I don't know what I would do if I met someone like that. Unlike Mina I can't choose to stay awake just because I found someone I loved. I suppose I could tell everyone to allow me to shrink back to regular size but that would take so long at this size. I don't know how many could wait for me that long or would be around for long when I next woke up.”

Nathan, “That is true.”

When Nathan spoke Zarena could hear the sadness in his voice. She brought one of her fingers up and gently ran it along his back until he once again looked up at her. “We can enjoy the time that we have together though. It's nice to finally have a name to go with the scent and sound from my dreams.”

Nathan, “While I'm glad to finally have a voice to go with the name and face.”

***************************************************************************************************

Maria, “Let me help you with that.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he felt the books lifted from his arms to find Maria standing in front of him. “Thanks Maria.”

Maria, “You're welcome. Would you believe you made it back before Dan? He's still up there in the books somewhere.”

Joseph, “You don't know where he is?”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Of course we do. He's three levels above our head and near the back. Mina's been listening to him this entire time to make sure he's safe. Now let's go get seated I went ahead and got some paper and pins.”

Joseph, “Thanks I will be needing something to write on and with.” 

Maria, “What do you mean you? Did you even check to see if you could read these books?”

Now Joseph was made to slow down and look at Maria. “Ah whoops.”

An amused giggle escaped Maria as she set down. “I bet Dan is taking longer because he remembered to check and see if he could read them. Now let's see here.” As she spoke Maria opened the book on top of the pile and held it up for Joseph. “Do you recognize these words?”

Joseph, “No. Do you?”

Maria, “Of course. That said you're going to have to give me some time to read this. You see this isn't a book dealing with us exactly. I take it you asked for a book detailing how our bodies interact with mystic energy correct?”

Joseph, “That was part of it yes.”

Maria, “The wisp does the best job it can. This book is about the makeup of different constructs and how mystic energies respond to different builds. Hopefully I can find something related to us but this will be the basic stuff.”

Joseph, “Yeah. I believe you mentioned that the higher end books were kept further in the fortress and you're one very high end bit of work.”

Maria, “Yeah and don't you forget it.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she placed the rest of the books next to her. “Why don't you take a moment to look through them and see what you can find? If there is any you can read I suggest starting there.”

Joseph, “Alright but is there anything I can do to help you?”

Maria, “Let me read the book once first.” As she finished speaking Maria looked down at the pages and the world around her seemed to slow down. There was always a noteworthy transition whenever she prepared herself to run and when she tried to remain relaxed. As she began to read she went further into this hastened state.

It was fairly clear to Joseph Maria had began to read the rate at which she was turning pages made that clear. Having no desire to disturb her he turned to Mina. “You really focus whenever you're after something don't you?”

Mina was made to giggle as she looked at Joseph. “She's hunting for the information you asked for. She's treating it like prey and she's using that mentality to help focus. It's actually fairly amusing.”

Joseph, “I wish I had that level of focus. Well let's see what I can find.”

***************************************************************************************************

Dan, “No. I can't read this one either.” For a moment Dan went silent as he placed the book back on the shelf while the wisp continued to hover above him. A groan escaped him and he placed a hand on his forehead as he suddenly felt far dumber. “Of course you're taking me to the wrong books. I haven't even bothered telling you that I want the books that have only been written in the language of the apprentices and common folk.”

Upon hearing Dan's words the wisp gave a sudden jolt of energy. The creature had been feeling frustration from its summoner from almost the beginning but now he made his desire more clear. Immediately the little creature began to fly in the direction of the appropriate books. Before it could go too far though it felt a slight tug on itself and was made to remember the bond. The human couldn't follow it around the fortress as rapidly as it could fly. It slowed quickly and began to move back and forth waiting for the human to follow.

The way the wisp moved about left no doubt in Dan's mind that it was an intelligent being. At the very least the wisp was comparable to most animals. Perhaps it was intelligent as a human or more so but simply lacked then ability to speak to them. It might have even had the ability to speak but simply chose not to. In any case Dan found himself following the wisp past several over shelves and was finally brought to one with a rather thin book setting inside of it. The wisp howevered above and around the book waiting for Dan to pick it up. As he did so he was quite happy to be able to read the cover despite the books size.

“Interaction between the magically resistant and magic items.” For a moment Dan simply held them book and then turned to the wisp. “Thanks.”

As the wisp held its ground it had already noted several other books that would meet the human's needs. The vast majority of these books were beyond his reach though and his desire to search had just vanished. For a moment the wisp held its ground and then it began to follow Dan as he made his way back towards the lower shelves. Once down below it would most likely return to the whole.

***************************************************************************************************

Mina, “Hey Dan it looks like you found some reading material as well.”

Dan, “I believe so. Hey Joseph what did you ask your wisp about?”

Joseph, “I wanted books on different constructs and their ability to use magic apparently.  Unfortunately the majority of the books I found aren't in a language I can read. Isn't this suppose to be the guest library?”

Dan, “Well the guest and student. The Luvarians had a set language that they expected all their students to learn for the sake of communication. You have to keep in mind that this was a guild who's reach extended through several different ethnic groups and nations. The Luvarians required that all their members know the language and writing of their nation of origin though.”

Joseph, “How about you Dan?”

Dan, “I thought my question was the same as yours but apparently it wasn't. The wisp brought me to several books I couldn't read so I left them behind I then asked it to use a language I knew and it found these three. It took me to books about magic, magical items and those who are resistant to them or even nullify them. The works don't seem to complete though I mean look at this.” As he spoke Dan held up the thinnest of the books for Joseph to see.

While Joseph and Dan had been talking Mina had walked over to Dan and taken the other two books from him. She then set down across from Maria and opened up the top book. She couldn't read as fast as Maria but she could read more quickly then what a human could. As she began to read though she stopped and looked towards Joseph and Dan. “Okay how about one of you men go fetch me a mystic dictionary.”

Maria, “I know! I'm reading through this thing and I swear I only understand like seven or nine out of ten words in here. Those I don't understand are really strange as well. I mean what is corstol?”

Dan, “Corporeal storage limit. It refers to the point at which a mage has stored as much mystic energy inside of his or her own body as he or she can before one actually begins damaging the body.”

Maria, “Are you sure about that Dan? It's not exactly talking about mages here.”

Joseph, “Well it's generally accepted as referring to mages as its talking about the degradation of a physical system. “

Maria, “Well alright I'm going to get back to reading.”

As Maria resumed her work Mina turned to Joseph and Dan. “I was serious when I asked for that book. Now one of you scoot and go find one. I can't have a wisp show me around.”

Dan, “Alright, I'll be back in just a few.”

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena felt awkward as she possibly could have as she walked through the protected area of the forest noting her sisters home. From time to time she would notice a sister or brother watching her and actually found herself hastening her pace as if she was frightened of them.  Fear was there though. Wake up, eat until you've regained your old size go back to sleep was the standard roll of a sleeper it just happened that at times what you ate was enemies. That simple pattern had been taken away by this extra time though and now Zarena didn't know what to do with herself. She had already indulged her desire to socialize more then she should have. What would happen when she next woke and Nathan was long past dead? How would she endure that?”

A shiver ran up Zarena's spine as she considered this thought. She had to deal with this before though on a larger scale when she'd first become a sleeper. There hadn't been any hope of a quick awakening back then though. Was there really hope for a new awakening now? They had found themselves a wonderful new energy source that was true but Zarena knew the smaller sisters would want to make use of it as well and they had good reason. They were still suffering  due to their hunger after all. How big would they need to be for her to be allowed to remain awake though? Would they all need to be the same size as her or perhaps matron status?  These thoughts brought Zarena to a stop and she gave a low sigh before lowering herself to a seated position.

Life was simpler when she could focus on killing and eating then go back to sleep. This free time meant she had time to think and those thoughts were bringing her old pain. A new thought relieved that pain though as she turned to the homes of her sisters. Perhaps she should just ask them what size they would require in order to allow a sleeper to walk amongst them even for a few months a year. She didn't know how they would respond to such a question and she feared so many different answers but at least she would know. It was with renewed purpose that Zarena stood back up and began to make her way towards the market area.

***************************************************************************************************

Being held in one hand was a rather strange experience for Flora. Even a matron couldn't hold a keeper in one hand that easily. As she found herself setting in Zarena's hand though she had a question to ponder. “I'm sure it differs from sister to sister however I wouldn't mind if perhaps I was the same size as Fera whenever sleepers were granted three months out of the year to remain awake.”

Zarena, “Three months? I was expecting a bit less then that.”

Flora, “Well even being keeper sized takes off a good deal of the bight of my hunger and I imagine being thirteen meters or so tall like Fera would take a lot of the edge of. After all when she was a regular sized sister she was known to be a nearly out of control predator but she behaves far better now. Then again that was also after she was forced to sleep so that probably played a part.”

Zarena, “It might have but it's a nice thought.” Zarena had meant to speak with more of her sisters but she'd encountered Flora before she could make it to the market. The sister had simply been out searching for anything out of the ordinary so Zarena had offered to go with her. As she was talking with Flora though she had to be mindful of where she walked. She didn't want to cause too much undo destruction so careful foot placement was a requirement.

Flora, “Are you as hopeful for recent works as the rest of us are?”

Zarena, “Well talking with Nathan caused me to get my hopes up a bit. I believe I'll go to sleep with them up it should make getting to sleep easier and dreaming simpler. If my hopes are wrong though well waking up sure won't be easy.”

Flora, “Is that better?”

Zarena, “I don't know. I pretty much pushed hope to the lowest part of my mind whenever I first became a sleeper to make waking up easier. This time I suppose I'll try something different and see what happens when I wake up. If I'm wrong I'm sure that seeing new sisters and brothers will make things easier. Having someone that's familiar to my sense of smell and hearing also helps a great deal each time. I wish I could see this life bloom I'm hearing about though.”

Flora, “I would show it to you but it's secured and their isn't an entrance large enough for you or. Oh that could be a problem. If all of us were allowed to grow to the same size as Fera getting inside to tend to the life bloom could be extremely difficult.”

Zarena, “I don't believe you have to worry about that. It might require some work but I'm sure the facilities can be adjusted. I am a little worried about our home though. At that size this little section of forest won't be enough for everyone. Have you ever considered what you might do for housing if everyone achieved matron size?”

Flora, “I imagine it will be like in the times of the Luvarians again. The first ones. Some of us will end up moving to the edge of the forest.”

Zarena, “Did you know the ancient Luvarians didn't allow us to grow to sleeper size whenever they controlled the forest? At least what we found whenever I had time for such studies was that the first sisters were kept at matron size. Well more like a little between matron size and sleeper size while leaning more towards the matrons.”

Flora, “I remember. That's why our first leader wanted to make a system that would let us all grow to sleeper status though I doubt they had that title back then. He wanted to completely remove our hunger from us. I just wish I knew what had happened to him. Did you ever go to his tomb whenever you were smaller?”

Zarena, “Yeah. I wonder how it has changed since I last went inside. Back then we could tell that whatever had killed him had involved a lot of out of control magic. The mystic radiation from his corpse was so intense that we could feel it whenever we entered and even outside the chamber doors. The fact that all that energy didn't just vaporize his body was astounding.”

Flora, “That hasn't really changed. Do you ever wonder if that's truly his body though? The records say that the last of the true Luvarians were the ones who retrieved the body as well as the protectors of the citadel. How do we know that was truly his corpse though?”

Zarena, “We just have to trust it was at this point there is little if anything we could do to check. I wish that I could go and see his grave now but I wouldn't be able to fit inside.”

Flora, “Does that mean you can't stand outside of it and take a moment?”

Zarena, “No. I believe I should do that but first I have to say it is very easy to get off track these days. I came to ask you how large you would need to be to tolerate a sleeper being awake for a few months a year and now we end up talking about our first leader.”

Flora, “Well we don't have to stick to one subject. How do you believe he would feel about what you sleepers have done?”

Zarena, “It might make him feel guilty. From what we know of him it seems like he blamed himself for our condition and truly wanted to fix it. I believe that he would be happy that you're all working towards your own solution. He might be a little upset that it was someone from the outside and helped you take such a massive step recently though.”

Flora, “We might be taking another step soon. My daughter and a few others have gone to the citadel to research a topic which could prove quite interesting.”

Zarena, “What's that?”

Flora, “The true relationship between us and magic.”

***************************************************************************************************

“The notion that someone is completely immune to magic is completely false. Those who are considered immune to magic are simply extremely resistant to magics influence or even counter productive to magic. There are ways for a mage to deal with these people however such discussion is better suited to a book on tactics. I would suggest Cracking the Wall by Luvarian Garvosh Mizon if this is the information you seek. This book deals with the different level of resistance and even levels of nullification and the level it would take to counter these as well as their interaction with mystic sources. To any reader who has already resolved that this is a rather large topic to cover in such a small book you're quite correct. While it is my hope these readings will answer many of your questions if you desire more the completed version may be found in the members section of the library. To any guest or apprentice who feels early access to this book is a necessity I would suggest speaking with a full Luvarian.”

Maria, “Well isn't that a nice introduction.”

Dan gave a chuckle as he flipped through several pages of the book returning to where he had been reading before Mina had asked for the basics of the book. “Yeah. I'm guessing such disclaimers were fairly standard practice for the Luvarians of old. It seems like a decent advertising tactic for the guild. If you like what you've read and seek more join my guild and find all the answers.”

Mina, “So have you found anything useful?”

Dan, “This books claims that no being is incapable of using every form of magic no matter how resistant to magic they are even if their presence alone nullifies it. The problem with that is we know you don't nullify magic. You absorb the magic energy in the area so that it becomes more difficult to sustain spells and that's why it seems impossible for you to learn magic. This is a case of giving off an energy that prevents magic even if that's limited to ones own body.”

Mina, “I see what you're saying. How are you doing Maria?”

Maria, “I have no ideal. I've learned some things but some of its over my head or most of it. Here is one thing that's neat. Did you know that the shape of a magic glyph depends or should depend on the medium you're carving it into? Apparently when a mage casts a spell they're taking raw mystic energy for the most part shaping the energy and refining it into the state they finally cast the spell in. A glyph is a two dimensional reproduction of that process which is why glyphs for more complex spells tends to be just that more complex. However, the material the glyph is carved into also serves to shape that energy a great deal after all the energy has to flow through that medium.”

Neither Dan or Joseph said a thing but took a moment to look at one another. Joseph was the one who asked though. “Maria does it give any examples?”

Maria, “Yeah. It mentions that volcanic limestone is simply terrible for glyphs involving water magic. The heavy alteration by heat and the earth just makes it unreceptive to such energies. It mentions that it is a wonderful medium for glyphs involving fire spells or wind. It goes further to mention that a truly complex glyph may also require several different types of mediums if you want to make it properly however that adds further complications.”

Joseph, “Because each time the energy flows into a new medium it has to go through another transition.”

Maria, “That's right. So it says what you want to do with a very complex glyph in many cases is simply find a material that's neutral to all energies involved.”

Joseph, “That's really interesting. I'm used to using stone for carving glyphs into it never really occurred to me that the type of stone would matter. Dan how receptive to the energies from the life bloom do you believe the stone in our system is?”

Dan, “I have no ideal. It's probably not as receptive as some materials but Joseph do you really want to try remaking that glyph?”

Joseph, “I don't believe we have the ability.”

Maria, “Oh this is neat.  Now it's going into the proper method to make a three dimensional glyph. Apparently the basic method is to take something like a bronze ball and carve the glyph into it. This lets you compact the glyph a great deal in a fairly small space and come up with some complex designs. This apparently is essential to many of the Luvarian golems who were designed to use magic. The glyphs they use to shape the energy are actually internal three dimensional glyphs.”

Joseph, “That isn't what we came here to find but still that's very interesting. How on earth could they consider that information as appropriate for the students?”

Maria, “It's because it doesn't explain their better golems. Near the height of their power even the basic golems made by the Luvarians could cast spells like fireball and wind blades. Those are fairly low level spells though. The really powerful ones could cast hundreds of spells and even combine different spells to form new ones. I'm guessing this was basic information they expected all students to have mastered before they would even be considered for full advancement. At least if they were going to be golem makers.”

Dan, “Damn it Joseph I wish we had that book sooner. We could have done an even better job on the energy system I bet if we had the section on energy systems translated. Why didn't we find that book in the library though?”

At first no one spoke but then Mina felt her eyes widen. “Oh! Oh my. Um let's not tell anyone that you've read that book okay Maria?”

Maria, “Huh? How come?”

Mina, “That's one of the books in the restricted sections of the library as it's considered a bit too dangerous. You need to be rank eight to ask for it and well normally only rank eights would be here so this situation is really strange. I mean it's not like we could remove that book from the library with the protectors but well.” As she was speaking Mina picked up the notes Maria had been taking down. “Yes. Just don't tell anyone you have these until you're both rank eight.”

For a moment Dan said nothing but looked at Mina. He then began to grin. “Thank you Mina. I feel I should say I half expected you to take the book and place it back in the shelves after what you just said. So thanks for trusting us.”

Mina, “Just keep this a secret. All of the books that are kept in the protected area are kept there for a reason. They have some dangerous information that burned us in one way or another. I believe I remember the way this one burned us though I wasn't there for the event. I heard talk of it when I was young.”

Dan, “Oh?”

Mina, “Three dimensional glyphs aren't a joke Dan. Their power goes up greatly far more then what the brothers expected it to. That book suggest something like a bronze ball but when we tried it the bronze melted and all the energy was released at once from what I recall. Several brothers were badly injured and one of them was even killed by the resulting discharge.”

Silence filled the room and then Joseph spoke up. “We'll keep that in mind. Maria please just continue what you're doing while Dan and I get to work on the books that we can actually read.”

***************************************************************************************************

“There is nothing I can do!” As the words left his lips Alex gave an exhausted sigh. Even with the spirits power there were limitations to his abilities and the amalgam knew that. Still it had demanded that he keep their location hidden with his magic. He had at first thought illusion spells would work but realized that had one massive flaw. Magic would stand out even more then the dead trees when it came to those beasts. Now he found himself standing in the shadow realm looking at the forest which had been burned to ash.

Amalgam, “Think harder human! You haven't granted all your knowledge to me and I know in that hidden information there is knowledge of my kind.”

Alex, “The spirits of these trees have all been destroyed there is nothing left to help support their physical being. This will influence them and they'll be overwhelmed by those plants that still retain their spirits. You would need to bring in another spirit that could serve as their support without radically changing their nature. The only spirit that might even be able to handle that task is the spirit of the forest itself.”

Amalgam, “She would never aid me. Do not believe this means you will regain your life human. If I should die then you shall die as well.”

A low growl escaped Alex as he looked towards the smoldering flames. Part of him felt as if plunging himself into those embers and reviving them was a suitable response. He wasn't ready to insure his death just yet though. “There is nothing that I can do. We must move.”

Amalgam, “I can not! They have removed my footholds through much of the forest and slain too many of my servants.”

Alex, “Then we must prepare to fight.” As the words left his lips the fact that we had went with them repulsed Alex. Yet silence filled the air and he felt a sudden shift. It only took him a moment to realize that he was returning to the physical world as the spirit released the hold that kept him in the shadow realm.

Amalgam, “It seems the time has more quickly then I expected. You are still too weak for me to enter directly. Go to your rest there will be much to do soon.”

Alex, “Well isn't that just wonderful.”

***************************************************************************************************

Mina, “I found something. I found something!” As she spoke Mina found herself grinning from ear to ear as she placed the book in the middle of the table. “Right here is talks about magic sinks. Listen to this. No matter how high the quality of a energy sink it has its upper limits. Once those limits have been reached magic will function normally even in the presence of the sink provided the sink is static. Dynamic energy sinks have been developed and while able to adapt they have the same limitations of a static energy sink for a finite period of time. The amount of time one has to effectively cast depends on the quality of the energy sink and how overwhelmed it was during the initial conditions. It gets more detailed as you read on.”

No one said anything at first as both Dan and Joseph seemed loss in thought. Dan was the first to come out of it though. “Your bodies are an energy sink which transfers the energy to your muscles. You can only transfer so much energy at once. Yeah I know where you're going but there is a problem here. What you're talking about is a mage casting a spell in the presence of an energy sink what we're trying to deal with is the energy sink itself actually trying to cast spells. I'm quite certain that you fall into the category of a dynamic energy sink as well. Unlike a normal dynamic energy sink though you know the energy is going to be coming so you might already be adapting before it actually hits.”

Mina, “Oh.” A sigh escaped Mina as she leaned forward on the table. “I believed I'd found something for a moment there.”

Instead of staying still Dan stood up on his seat and wrapped his arms around as much of Mina as he could. “I'm sure we can use that information Mina. The fact that you're helping us search is great by itself.”

Mina, “Thanks Dan but from the tone of your voice I bet you already knew what I just told you.”

Jopseh, “No seriously Mina. Thanks for helping us look. I'm certain that we won't be finding anything related to our sisters directly at this point however we can still find pieces of the puzzle. Between what you found and what Dan found as well as my own testing I can't help but believe my theory is right. It's actually possible for the sisters to begin learning at least some forms of magic.”

Dan, “I believe you're right Joseph. Everything I've read seems to indicate that our sisters should be able to use some form of magic. Though we don't know if that serves any practical purposes yet.”

Joseph, “Yeah. At least we haven't found anything to say that it's impossible for them to use all forms of magic. Maria how are things going for you?”

Maria, “I hate regular paper. It rips so easily and forces me to write so slowly. The fact that I keep having to get more ink for this pin isn't helping things either. I want tougher paper in here and an ink pin that doesn't have limits like this one. Hey Joseph haven't alchemist developed some kind of ink that last longer then normal?”

Joseph, “Um. Well I'm sure some alchemist have. I just never had the need so I never have.”

Maria, “You really should look into that. Also how about some toughened paper for the next time we come here?”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he looked at Maria's hand. The speed with which she was writing truly was astounding. The fact that her writing retained an extremely high level of clarity despite that remarkable speed made it even more amazing to him. “I'll see what I can do. You don't believe you'll be complaining about the table after that though do you?”

Maria, “Well perhaps you could also get me a writing surface?”

Joseph, “OH sure. Demands demands. Yeah I'll see what I can do.”

Maria, “Thanks. I'm not really having time to understand what I'm reading at this point the book is getting into some serious materials.”

Joseph, “Mina we don't actually need to have Maria transcribe all of these books do we? Now that we know what we're looking for shouldn't the library have them?”

Mina, “Joseph. Have you forgotten the entire reason we're here? You didn't trust the books in the library.”

Joseph, “Oh yeah. I suppose we've been at this a little longer then I realized.”

Maria, “Joseph you're looking a little tired. Why don't you go rest for a while and let me finish what I'm doing?”

Joseph, “It would be very impolite of me to just set around while you did all the work.”

Maria, “Now don't worry about that. I don't fatigue as easily as you do after all. Just take a seat and give yourself time to relax. Once I'm done with this book you're the one that's going to have to read through it and actually understand what it's saying. So rest while you can.”

Joseph, “Do you believe I'll have time to do that before you all march off to deal with whatever has been hurting the forest?”

Maria, “I really don't know but that just means we have to make use of what free time we do have. Oh Mina wouldn't it be awful if we had to leave in the next hour or so? Marching off to battle tired sucks.”

Mina, “I don't know. Shredding some kobolds would probably do wonders to wake me up. I'm interested in fighting one of those new species of kobolds you found to. So far you're the only one of us who's actually gotten to fight one let alone kill one of them.”

Maria, “That is true. It's a shame I can't tell you how it tasted.”

Mina, “I'm sure it would have tasted terrible. I'm sick of kobold as is and this new breed seems to go further down their unsavory path. However, as revolting as they might be to the tongue they could be as fun to rip apart.”

Dan, “Mina, Maria I hope you don't mind but I'm going to take a break with Joseph. My eyes are starting to burn.”

Mina, “Really? What time is it?” As she spoke Mina turned her attention to one of the windows. She was actually surprised to see that the sun had gone down. “Mm I guess we've been here longer then we realized.”

Joseph, “Blast. You're right but we haven't gotten all the books copied yet. Okay tired or not we need to go.”

Maria, “No. Set down and close your eyes for a while.”

Joseph, “Maria you have to go on patrol tomorrow and deliver messages. I can't let you leave tired.”

Maria, “Joseph I'm not tired.” As she spoke Maria took in a deep breath. “There is an energy that moves throughout this building and sustains it. I'm certain that you've also felt it.”

Joseph, “What? Well I felt something whenever I entered.”

Mina, “Perhaps due to our natures we can feel it on a far deeper level then that. Believe me Maria and I are fine. You two on the other hand should set yourselves down somewhere and rest.”

Joseph, “Here? Wouldn't that be kind of insulting?”

Maria, “Did you notice those overstuffed seats off in the corner? What do you believe those were for?”

Instead of responding Joseph took a moment to look around and indeed found some rather plush looking chairs. “I guess even ancient mages got tired and required a little rests from time to time.”

Maria, “I would say that's a fair assumption. Now you and Dan go and have a nice set down while me and Mina continue our work. We should be finished soon enough.”

Dan, “Thanks both of you. We'll have to pay you back later.”

Mina, “Mm oh and just what do you have in mind for payment.”

Dan, “Hm how about the type of things I don't feel comfortable talking about around others.”

Mina, “Oh that does sound good.”

***************************************************************************************************

Sora couldn't help but wince when she looked at Mirin's hands. The signs of his burns were quite clear as he removed his bandages and submerged them in a large tub of fluid. The cleaning solution actually seemed to sooth his wounds as he gave a relieved sigh upon putting his arms within it. “So is that as painful as it looks?”

Mirin, “I'm not really sure. The healing ointments I've been using have been relieving a lot of the pain while helping me to recover. There is pain there still though.” As he was speaking Mirin found himself gently moving a cloth over his burns cleaning out little bits of dirt and other debris that managed to get under his bandages as well as the used up ointment. “Does the sight of my burns bother you?”

Sora, “Mirin you have to know that it does. The fact that you were injured so badly. I just wonder if I should have even let you go into the shadow realm as you were.”

Mirin, “Sora there was little choice.”

Sora, “I know but it sure doesn't mean that I like it. I just want to pick you up, bandage your arms and not let you down until your arms have fully healed. That wouldn't be very productive though.”

Mirin, “I'm afraid not. The thought is appreciated though. If it wasn't for our skill in alchemy I would have suffered some loss in the use of my fingers I am certain. The damage that mystic backlash caused did some rather deep damage. Hey Sora how are the sisters feeling about Zarena's awakening?”

Sora, “They're feeling excited and ready to go. We're all pretty confident that we can't lose with her on our side. After all the sleeper is one of the main reasons this forest has always remained ours.”

Mirin, “I'm glad to hear.” Mirin went silent as intense pain shot through his right arm forcing him to bend over and take in a deep breath. He could both hear and even feel Sora's movements as she rushed over to see what was wrong. “I'm fine.”

Sora, “What was that?”

Mirin, “Just my nerves reminding me that they're still working.” As he finished speaking Mirin took in deep breath but didn't move in the least. “Just give me a moment please and I'll continue with my bandages.”

Sora, “Should I go fetch a brother to help you?”

Mirin. “No. Just give me time.”

For a moment Sora held her position she then found herself settling down once again and watching Mirin. It took another minute but eventually he resumed his work to clean his burns and applied a secondary ointment to them before he once again began to bandage them. As she watched Mirin working Sora could actually feel a pain building in her chest while a lump had formed in her throat. “I just realized something. There has never been a sister born with the power to heal others. Well not born. I mean who had a mutation that allowed her to heal others.”

Mirin, “Mm you know I believe you're right. What brings that up though?”

Sora, “At this moment I wish I could trade my stealth for that.”

Mirin, “Oh and what would you do when you needed to save me from the clutches of a mountain troll who would snap my head off if you came too close?”

Sora, “Well naturally I would be healing you so rapidly that such efforts would be futile as the damage would be recovered automatically.”

Mirin, “Mm that actually sounds really really painful.” 

Sora, “Of course. That would teach you to avoid those situations after all.”

A low chuckle came from Mirin as he looked up at Sora. “Would you help me wrap my arms?”

Sora, “I'd be happy to.”

***************************************************************************************************

Dan couldn't keep his eyes closed as he looked out their bedroom window and up through the branches. He hadn't noticed until now but the trees had lost a fairly large number of their leaves. It allowed him to see up into the sky and note what a massive moon they had on this night. A flurry of movement left the branches shaking moments later and he felt certain some sisters had passed by. It made him smile as his mind turned to Mina and how such thin branches would no longer support her. Soon the sisters would have to give up that method of travel entirely.

Mina, “Dan what is wrong?”

Dan, “Mina? You're still awake.” As he spoke Dan looked up at Mina's face and noticed her eyes were still closed her lips moved though.

Mina, “Your heart won't reach a nice resting status and it keeps waking me up.”

Dan, “I'm sorry. I'll try to.”

Mina, “Tell me what's on your mind.”

Dan, “I'm just excited I suppose. I keep thinking about our visit to the citadel and the books we were able to gather. Reading through them and truly understanding them is going to take a lot of time but I'm sure the knowledge will be useful. They're other things I'm thinking about as well. Like what you told us about the books.”

Mina, “Shhhh.” As she spoke Mina reached up and placed a single finger against Dan's lips. “Don't talk about such things ever. Our conversation was a private one and shall never be spoken of outside of the most private settings.”

Dan, “Sorry.” As he began to speak Dan reached up and took hold of Mina's massive wrist. He then began to run his right hand along it. “That is not the only thing on my mind though. What if Joseph is right and you are capable of learning magic? I wonder what it would mean.”

Mina, “I”m not sure to be honest. What do you believe it would mean? That we could do some things for ourselves?”

Dan, “I. I don't really believe so as far as spell casting. At least it wouldn't right away. I'm wondering though if you could learn to gather magic like mages do. If you could even begin the process of gathering that energy you could probably cut down on the energy your body needs from outside sources.”

Mina, “I believe that is what Joseph hopes for as well.”

Dan, “Isn't that exciting? It isn't just that though. I know we said that it would be too much trouble to improve the energy system Joseph and I built right away but we could do it. At least we might be able to do it. That would provide you with even more energy then what it is giving now. During all of that though new life blooms will grow and be planted providing even more food and energy. Mina Dremera might be born into a world in which she won't have to know hunger.”

Mina, “Oh Dan that is a wonderful thought.” As she spoke Mina lifted Dan higher and pressed her lips to the top of his head before setting him down again. “None of that will come between now and morning though and you're a lot more useful whenever you're not tired.”

Dan, “I suppose not but it's still hard. Mina would you mind if I joined in on the attack whenever we moved against our enemies?”

Mina, “Do you have a large supply of potions custom made for yourself to greatly enhance your combat ability?”

Dan, “No.”

Mina, “Then yes.”

For a moment Dan said nothing then a chuckle escaped him. “I suppose that is to be expected. I don't know if I'll have time to prepare such potions either. From the way Mirin was talking that portion of the forest should be dieing rather soon. I believe the better thing for me to do would be to try to make potions to help the mages who will be going into the shadow realm to confront the spirit. Yeah. I suppose that's what I will be working on.”

Even as Dan was speaking Mina could tell he was falling asleep now. Apparently simply having no ideal of what he should be doing was what was keeping him awake. It made her smile and she gave Dan another kiss on the forehead before relaxing again herself. As she looked towards the window she found her memory returning to the morning. She could still see that protector looking out the window at them. She hadn't spoken to Dan about it but she wondered what the protector had been doing there.

***************************************************************************************************

Kelah, “Dinon what is wrong with you? You've been spaced out for two days now. Dinon? Dinon I'm talking to you!”

At last Kelah's words seemed to register with the orc the intensity of her voice actually startling him out of his contemplative state. “Sorry Kelah, I was just focused elsewhere.”

Kelah, “So I noticed. Now would you tell me what had you so occupied?”

Dinon, “It's the fire spirits in the forest. Something happened recently and they began a mass movement. The one I hold a contract with has been asking for additional energy from me. Apparently there is a chance to gain additional power but it needs more strength for the actual push to claim that power and I've been trying to supply that additional strength.”

Kelah, “I see. I take it the spirit agreed to share some of that power with you then.”

Dinon, “Yes but what has me worried is I don't know the full details of what is happening. Only that a very noteworthy fire was created and scorched a region of the forest. Now several fire spirits and others are trying to claim that region for themselves.”

At first Kelah said nothing but took a seat next to Dinon. “So how is your contractor doing?”

Dinon, “It is doing fine from what I can tell. It's already claimed a region covering several acres. What I don't fully understand is the region its trying to claim. From the way the spirit is talking it was the spiritual realm that felt these flames.

Kersara, “What I want to know is what happens when this spirit of yours manages to claim a chunk of the forest.”

Dinon, “Oh Kersara. I didn't notice you standing there. How are you doing today?”

Kersara, “Just fine. Now how about answering my question.”

Kelah didn't bother waiting for Dinon to respond but chose to herself. “When a spirit claims a region of land either in the physical world, spiritual world or both that regions becomes more vulnerable to the spirits nature. In the case of a fire spirit the land feels the touch just a little more, dries out a little faster and burns a little easier. We're talking about a natural spirit of fire though not one who has been driven mad and a cleansing fire is part of the natural routine of a forest.”

For a moment Kersara said nothing but looked at the two orcs. After a short time she gave a nod and settled down. “Okay I see what you're saying. I guess this has something to do with the warning Maria gave us earlier. That our brothers had struck a blow against the amalgam and we should be ready to feel it strike back.”

Dinon, “The spirits of the forest are stirred up by the fire however the water spirits of the ocean don't seem anymore active then usual. They haven't given me any additional warnings so I don't believe the strikes made against us will grow any stronger.”

Kersara wanted to trust Demon's information and believe that there would not be any attacks more significant then they had already dealt with. When she looked out over the water though she couldn't help but worry. There was a lot of ocean out there and she didn't have any idea of how much the spirits covered or what the creatures might be doing to hide from them. “Dinon I hope you don't take this the wrong way but  I'm going to hope you're right and prepare for you to be wrong.”

Chapter 26 by happiest_in_shadows

Dinon, “That is quite understandable.”

Kersara, “Kelah how are your orcs doing? I heard that you lost a few in the recent battle.”

A low growl escaped Kelah as Kersara mentioned the fallen orcs and she brought herself to a standing position. “They did not have to die. Their deaths were the result of foolishness not a lack of ability or the enemies strength. They broke formation you see and pushed ahead of the others. When they no longer had anyone to guard their backs they were killed.”

As Kersara listened to Kelah she was surprised by the anger in the orcs voice. “Are the others still able to fight?”

Kelah, “Kersara if you knew more about us you'd know that question was very insulting.”

Kersara, “I didn't mean it to be I'm just concerned. I know how we get when we lose a sister.”

A smile formed on Kelah's face as she turned to face Kersara. “Your concern is appreciated even if it is insulting. My warriors are in great condition to fight. The warriors we lost were young and not truly disciplined. We lose a few hunters every year for similar reasons. It always serves as an important learning experience for the others. We've only lost a few due to other circumstances.”

Kersara, “I'm glad that you're doing alright then.”

Kelah, “I haven't heard word of any of your sisters falling. Does that still hold true?”

Kersara, “For the most part yes. These creatures aren't much of a threat to us if we stay away from the water they're simply too many for us to keep them away from the forest on our own though. It actually makes me feel guilty that we asked you to join us on the front line like this. We're asking you to face a far greater danger then we are.”

Kelah, “Don't feel guilty for such things. You needed help protecting your home and we answered after all it is our home as well. Don't mistake us for weaklings though. Sure our skin isn't as tough as dragon's hide but we're not weaklings. We survive in this forest as well as anything else.”

Kersara, “That you do. Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you met orcs outside of the forest? I remember stories that such orcs are often not much larger then humans.”

For a moment Kelah just looked at Kersara then turned her gaze towards the ocean. “I don't know if I can believe that. I mean sure we're not as large or as strong as your kind but we're not nearly as small or as delicate as humans are. I mean Dinon here is actually a little on the short side for us and even he dwarfs your brothers.”

Dinon, “Hey! I am not short.”

Kelah, “Yeah you keep telling yourself that. He makes up for it by being feisty.”

Kersara couldn't help but giggle as she glanced back at Dinon who seemed to be glaring at both females now despite his smile. “I guess you've changed over time since you came to live hear. I've seen old  records which talked about the first orcs who began to live in the forest and how close they came to being wiped out on several occasions. I suppose everything that calls this forest home has been strengthened by it.”

Kelah, “Even the kobolds?”

Kersara, “I sure hope not.”

Dinon, “I don't mean to interrupt but if you're done questioning me could you give me some space? I'm trying to keep track of events that are taking place several days away from here. That's hard enough without my mind wondering to your conversation.”

Kelah, “Sure Dinon. Just make sure you tell me if anything interesting happens.”

Once Kelah began to move Kersara chose to join her wanting to continue their conversation. “So Kelah do you really never wonder about orcs outside this forest? My sisters and I are the only ones of our kind so we have little reason to think about such things but you know they are orcs who live in other parts of the world.”

Kelah, “The graves tell us everything that we need to know.”

Kersara, “Graves?”

Kelah, “Yeah. The graves of our fallen. I've seen them and it is clear that something has changed. The death rate for our people was quite high in the beginning if one dates the current graves but went down sharply in the first fifty years or so. I assume that this is due to our people truly learning the rules of this forest. As time went on though that death rate has gone down further and further only to be marked by times of rapid population decreases I imagine you know what caused that decrease.”

Kersara, “My people.”

Kelah, “Well I was going to say us forgetting the rules of the forest but that is part of it.”

Kersara, “Kelah do you really feel that way?”

As she spoke Kelah gave a slight shrug. “Don't eat the mushrooms with the blue stems. If you do don't blame the mushroom for killing you. They're lots of rules in this forest that result in death if you don't obey them.  It isn't just the death rates that tell us we've changed though. It's also the bones. Simply put the bones suggest that previous orcs were a good six centimers shorter then us on average and from what the spirits tell me far more delicate.”

Kersara, “Now is that far more delicate on average or far more delicate then you?”

Kelah, “I'll have to get back to you on that one. Honestly I think the only things who call this forest home and haven't been changed by it is your brothers. You wrap them in such a secure blanket of safety that they have no reason to adapt.”

Now Kersara was made to grin. “Tell that to Mirin after he's started throwing fireballs at you.”

Kelah, “Mm you have a point there. Magic does make quite a difference as being a shaman proves. I remember this one old shaman. He was probably the scrawniest orc you'd ever seen and rather on the short side as well. One of the younger orcs picked a fight with him and he accepted. I would normally have been very angry with an orc who screamed like he did but after seeing that shaman in battle well I can forgive him.”

Kersara, “What happened?”

Kelah, “The old stinker had a contract with the spirits of water and fire. He was actually able to make the orcs blood begin to boil.”

Kersara, “Ouch. Did he kill him?”

Kelah, “No. At first the old orc just avoided him jumping away from every attack. After letting the youngster get a few attempts he just looked at him said something I did't understand and then the warrior locked up. He began to shake and then he began to scream in pain. Before anyone could do anything he was laying on the ground and clearly out of the fight. We didn't realize what had happened until the healers began tending to him.”

Kersara, “What was this shamans name?”

Kelah, “Oh dang. Kersara this was when I was very young I was even younger then the other orc warrior at the time. Give me a moment and I'll see if I can recall but dang. Elder, elder, Elder Gridon! That was his name.”

Kersara, “I take it he's no longer with you.”

Kelah, “No. He died a few years back but his apprentices carry on his contracts.”

Kersara, “You can pass on a contract?”

Kelah, “Sure. If the spirit agrees to the passing or it was worked into the original contract. I'm not sure which case it was this time around but I know his apprentices carry on the same contract with the same spirit. It might surprise you but we don't exactly share our contract information with other shaman. The other orcs for example know I have a contract with Nightfang they don't know what I did to get that contract.”

Kersara, “Why don't you tell them?”

Kelah, “A spirit will only make so many contracts and earning the spirits attention and approval is a big part of the process. They can't just copy the work of another shaman. Besides if they tried what I did to get my contract with Nightfang they'd more then likely end up dead.”

Kersara, “You hunted him didn't you?”

Kelah, “Oh no. No. No. Nightfang did put some serious demands on me though to prove I was worth making a contract with me. I will tell you that he required me to kill something with my own hands and teeth. It was not a pleasant experience. Nightfang is also a very demanding spirit even putting restrictions on who you can make contracts with.”

Kersara, “Is that part of the wolf mentality?”

Kelah, “Yeah. To Nightfang I am now part of his pack. As an offshoot of that anyone I make a contract with is also part of his pack and he's very picky about who is part of his pack. Not every spirit has this mentality but he sure does and he enforces it with a tenacity that is just well quite noteworthy. Before I can make a lasting contract with any spirit I must consult him first or risk him cutting me off or perhaps even having to fight him.”

Kersara, “What would happen if you won?”

Kelah, “I'd be the new leader of the pack. I wouldn't get my hopes up on that though. I've felt that wolf's power and my body isn't quite ready to handle that battle.”

Kersara, “Then what if you found a stronger spirit to contract with?”

Kelah, “Well naturally I would contact Nightfang form a contract with him to combine our strength and the strength of my people then overwhelm that spirit. He would get to feed on said spirit increasing his own power and in return he would strengthen me and my people. Naturally there would be more to the contract then that. I would want some kind of long term agreement insuring that my people would benefit.”

At first Kersara said nothing but just looked at Kelah. A slight chuckle escaped her just before she was able to speak. “You're crazy.”

Kelah, “Nightfang is a very demanding and powerful spirit. That said he is also a very loyal one as well and that is hard to put a price tag on. It would be hard to find a spirit who would offer me as good of a deal as I have with Nightfang and my people.”

Kersara, “That is reasonable. Has the contract always been so good though?”

Kelah, “Heck no. As Nightfang and I have proven ourselves to one another the contract has become more generous both ways. Don't get me wrong whenever I say he strengthens me. He benefits from this contract just as much as I do if not more so. It is kind of hard to compete with the cunning of an ancient wolf spirit when you're not even fifty years old. I wish I could have had my father's help in forging the contract but well I couldn't risk showing such weakness during out first meeting.”

Kersara, “Do you ever wonder if you may have shown weakness by not insisting that your pack should be allowed to stand with you?”

Kelah came to an immediate stop and looked directly at Kersara. “That is one of the most frustrating things about such contracts. It isn't always possible to say what kind of strength the spirit is asking for though their nature might reveal something to you.”

***************************************************************************************************

Mirin, “How are you doing?”

A smile formed on Zarena's face as she looked down at Mirin and Sora. “I'm doing alright. You're Mirin right?”

Mirin, “Yes. There wasn't much time to speak before you left with Nathan so I decided to come by and talk to you. From the way you were looking at the sky I believe you were thinking about something.”

Zarena, “The sky hasn't changed since I last looked up at it. If I don't think and just let my mind go blank I can forget how much time has passed for a few moments at least.” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as she looked at Mirin. “Whoever had the idea that such things would bring someone comfort is full of crap.”

Mirin, “I take it you don't share their romantic views.”

Zarena, “Speaking as someone who has slept over fifty years I'm going to tell you that seeing the same stars you went to sleep seeing isn't comforting in the least. What is comforting though is seeing the bond of love between sisters and brothers still holding even after all this time. You two are quite close aren't you.”

Sora, “So you can see me.” As she spoke Sora allowed herself to return to the visible spectrum.

Zarena, “Yeah I noticed you there. You spend a lot of time watching over him don't you?”

Sora, “I pretty much have to with the trouble this guy gets himself into.”

Zarena, “I suppose that hasn't changed much either. Care to tell me some embarrassing stories about him?”

Sora, “That could be fun but I believe Mirin wanted to say something to you.”

Mirin gave a quick nod and spoke up. “Yes. Zarena I hope I didn't wrong you by waking you up before we were ready for you to move. I believed at the time that you would enjoy the extra waking hours and I needed your strength to encourage the other sisters. You see recently we performed an act that caused our sisters to lose some trust in us and could result in social upheaval.”

Zarena, “You didn't do anything wrong by waking me up early. Now you have me curious about what you did though. Would you mind telling me?”

Mirin, “We journeyed where our sisters couldn't go to protect us in order to gain knowledge of our mutual enemy and strike a blow against it. We did this even after agreeing not to take such a dangerous journey. My injuries didn't help matters upon our return as it revealed how dangerous the situation was.”

Zarena, “Then you should have brought more brothers. Whatever happened to the trappers?”

Mirin, “Trappers? Is that a special branch of sisters?”

For a moment Zarena said nothing but looked at Mirin and Sora. At last a long sigh escaped her and she placed a hand on her forehead. “No. Out of every time I woke it I never thought to ask about them. I can't believe they fell apart. There was a branch of brothers in my day known as the trappers they didn't hunt in the physical world. They were trained extensively in how to deal with spiritual beings even on those beings terms and it was their task to go into the shadow world and capture troublesome spirits.”

Mirin, “What? And the sisters allowed this?”

Zarena, “It wasn't every brother who became a trapper or could become one. Oh blast it. I believe I know what happened. At the time we were much smaller then we are now as we were still adjusting to the sudden change. One of the requirements for a trapper was that they could hold their own against or even beat a guardian in combat. As time went on and sisters grew that requirement would have become harder to meet as the test was changing.”

Mirin, “That does seem likely. One of the reasons our sisters are so protective of us or one of the reasons they give is because we're so fragile to them. I assume that this test was something the trappers agreed to in order to relax the sisters.”

Zarena, “It probably was. Yet they were so busy thinking of protecting you from threats they could reach they didn't think about only the threats you can tend to.  You know if the trappers were still around you wouldn't have even gotten yourself in this condition.”

A slight sigh escaped Sora as she looked down at Mirin then Zarena. “I swear Mirin force fed many of us a bitter pill only a day ago and now you're bringing up this one? Are you trying to choke us?”

An amused giggle escaped Zarena as she leaned down closer to the group. “That is how life tends to go. You believe everything is fine until someone shows you something you hadn't seen before and everything comes crumbling down around you. We believed everything was fine in the days of the one leader but when he died we realized the danger of putting so much faith in one person. Our worlds came crumbling down around us and we couldn't do anything to stop it.”

Sora, “Yeah. I understand what you're saying but darn it this sucks.”

Zarena, “Hey at least your realization isn't coming with a collapsing society.”

Sora, “That is true ours will only be changing.”

Mirin, “Zarena these trappers why didn't they try to destroy the spirits?”

Zarena, “At times that's what they would do. At least they would do as much to destroy a spirit as one can. However, that wasn't their usual method. They preferred to capture them for later use either in mystic acts or as bargaining chips for other spirits. They even picked a few very powerful spirits to nurture in exchange for favors.”

Mirin, “What! Then why haven't these spirits been aiding us?”

Zarena, “That's probably because you forgot the ancient contracts and how to ask for their help. Only one in a thousand spirits if even that many will aid you if you don't remember the contract of old. At least that's what I was told whenever speaking to some of the mages we knew. Those stories in which some ancient spirit reaches out to benevolently help someone who's ancestor had a contract with them long ago are pretty much bull. When such things do happen it's because the spirit has something to gain as well and they're using the ancient contract as leverage and justification. You know something to make the human feel good about themselves and trust them.”

Mirin, “I imagine out of any of our sisters you would know more about this then any of them.”

Zarena, “My eyes don't just let me see things they've helped me understand a lot. Oh but you have forgotten so much it seems even while you learned. I bet you've even stopped using shavings from my nails for weapons against spirits.”

Mirin, “Um. Actually I never thought of that.”

A long sigh escaped Zarena as she shook her head. “Now you've got me scared that your current prosperity has  cost you the hard earned lessons of the past. Well blast it all I might be a sleeper but I'm awake now and I do remember these old ways. Come tomorrow I'm going to have a word with everyone in this village.”

Mirin, “I believe that would be a good idea.”

Sora, “Oh I'm going to to be staying hidden for that one. After what you did Mirin getting a lecture from a sister as high ranking as a sleeper is going to really put some tails into twists.”

***************************************************************************************************

Desmon, “I know where it is.” As he spoke Desmon set up in bed or attempted to. The arm wrapped across his chest kept him pinned. His gaze turned up towards  Phinila's sleeping face and he gave a long sigh. He would have to wake her up. As this thought crossed his mind he began to shift his right arm about attempting to pull it free.

Phinila, “You know where what is?”

Desmon, “What? You're awake?”

Phinila, “I woke up whenever you began that unnatural struggling and was sort of awake when you spoke. Now what were you talking about?”

Desmon, “I just had a dream vision from one of my fellow druids. She has seen the domain of the amalgam and shown me where it is.”

Immediately Phinila released her hold on Desmon and set up. She then turned her head to look out the window while taking in a deep breath of air. It would be some time yet before the sun greeted them. Perhaps another hour. Yet this was important news. “We shall go to the keepers and rank eight brothers first before we decide to wake up everyone.”

Desmon, “Alright. Then will you go speak with your sisters while I go and speak with Mirin?”

Phinila, “No. You will come with me to speak with a few of the keepers who hold guard at this hour and they will awaken the others. You're the one that knows where the amalgam is at the moment not me.”

Desmon, “Alright.”

***************************************************************************************************

Maria immediately set up in bed as she heard the call. She felt her body flood with energy despite her lack of sleep and her gaze shifted down to Joseph. Despite the warning she couldn't help but giggle as she saw that despite her change in position he was still asleep. That wouldn't do though as she carefully lifted him so that his face was closer to hers. Maria lips parted and she very lightly nipped his nose.

Joseph, “Ouch!” As the word escaped him Joseph was shocked awake and his hand immediately went to his nose. “What was that?”

Maria, “Just a quick wake up. Joseph get dressed we need to get moving now. I just heard my sisters calling for us. Apparently we're getting ready for combat.”

The pain from his nipped nose went from Joseph's mind as Maria set him down. He wasted no time dashing to his dresser and pulling out the most protective clothing he had available to him. As he began to dress though he couldn't help but wonder. “Do you know what is going on exactly?”

Maria, “No. We can only send so much information through simple calls. The one I just heard pretty much means get your tail over here the moment you're dressed and armed we've got something serious to take care of. Given what has been going on though I imagine you can guess what's happened.”

Joseph, “They found out where the amalgam is.”

Maria, “Let's hope so.”

As Maria spoke Joseph felt excitement and concern building within him. The excitement crumbled to dust moments later though. “I won't be able to help you out. I don't have any potions to augment myself that you would let me fight along side of you.”

Maria actually felt her heart sink a little as she heard Joseph. While she knew that she couldn't allow him to join her in the battle she didn't like to hear him sounding so defeated. “Joseph, I know that it's late and an alchemist takes time to do their work but please remember you helped bring Zarena to the battlefield. You did even more then that your life bloom added an extra thirty percent to all of us and that is significant. Sure you might not be standing on the battle field but the fruits of your labor are there.”

Joseph, “Thanks Maria. I've never had someone I cared for quite like you though and knowing that you're going to be out there while I'm protected it just doesn't set well with me. I know that is how things have been for quite some time but this is different. This is a planned attack on a dangerous enemy and that has me worried.”

Maria, “Hey now. I'm not just any regular sister. I'm the fastest thing in this forest. I'll be fine. Besides we'll have Zarena leading the charge. We're probably just going to be picking up the scraps once she is done with them. I am more worried about those brothers who are going to be entering the shadow realm to confront the spirit.”

***************************************************************************************************

Nathan took in a deep breath as he looked at the crowd of brothers and sisters which had gathered. He couldn't think of a face which wasn't in the crowd at that moment except for those who were guarding the shore. He hoped they were doing alright. Now he needed to speak though. “Our enemy has been found and we must deal with them quickly before they can escape. The time has come to move but we must not move foolishly. I know many of you would like to join in on the main attack but we must avoid that mentality.”

As Nathan spoke Zarena listened quietly the entire time observing her smaller sisters. Despite the situation she couldn't help but grin as she noted a few younger sisters amongst the crowd. One of them was currently moving around her mothers right leg attempting to catch hold of her mother's tail. Whenever the mother would move it away from the child's grasp she'd return to the front of her leg to wait for the tail to relax then make another grab for it. It was almost enough to make her laugh despite the situation. As Nathan said her name though her eyes returned to him.

Nathan, “Zarena you're going to be taking three fourths of the keepers and a third of the guardians with you to begin the attack on the spirit's strong hold. Desmon and a few brothers will accompany you to lead the way there.”

Zarena, “Alright.”

Nathan, “Flora I want you to take a group of the swiftest guardians and keepers you know and make for the orc village. I've been told they already know of our movements and will have their shaman waiting for you. You're to transport them to the battle sight and offer them protection. Several brothers will also be accompanying you during this. This is the group that will be entering the spirit realm in order to confront the Amalgam there. I will be accompanying you and leading the attack.”

A low growl seemed to move throughout the entire audience though no sister spoke up. It was a reaction that was impossible to prevent though as they each found themselves hating the idea but unable to speak against it. Flora finally responded though. “Okay. Should I begin now?”

Nathan, “Please do.”

Nathan, “Once Flora had chosen her group Zarena you're to choose from the remainder. All sisters who have a child under the age of sixteen years or are currently carrying a child will not be attending this fight. You will be remaining here with the brothers who are to stay behind and protecting them.”

Mina, “What!” As the Mina called out her voice was more of a roar then anything else. A roar that seemed to shake the entire auditorium. “I am by far the most powerful keeper of this generation and have even been chosen to carry a special weapon and you're telling me to set this one out!”

Nathan, “Yes Mina I am and you will. We have learned much of this spirit and you most assuredly won't be attending this battle. Even if you believe yourself to be beyond the spirits ability to harm do you believe that extends to your child?”

As Mina listened to Nathan she was made to growl one far more menacing then she would have normally allowed herself. Several sisters actually found themselves tensing up in preparation to tackle Mina should she make any hostile actions. Instead she lowered herself back into her seat. “Alright then.”

Even with the fight upcoming the room seemed to relax as Mina settled back down. “The major issue we have with this new enemy is insuring that none of them escape. This is the first time the kobolds have been a serious threat to us and the first time they've left their nests. This is also the first time we've had a chance to destroy them completely. Keep that in mind while you're fighting that preventing any of them from escaping is just as important.”

***************************************************************************************************

Dan didn't know how he felt as he looked at Mina. She was setting still but it was clear that she was still tense. The fact that she had been told to remain behind because she was pregnant had caught everyone off guard but it made sense. They didn't know what this enemy was capable of at least not completely. It's possible that even if it couldn't harm Mina there was a way for it to kill their unborn child. Considering everything that happened Dan was having to struggle to keep from showing how happy he was that Mina would be remaining with them. “Mina try not to feel bad about this. You may end up protecting all of us here.”

Mina, “I know Dan but to be told that I'm not going to be allowed to fight on the front lines. Well I never believed that day would come and if someone had told me it would I probably would have laughed.”

Dan, “I'm happy that you're staying here with me.”

Despite her frustration Mina gave a slight smile and placed her hand on Dan's shoulder. “You know if I believed you had even a finger in this decision I'd turn your bottom blood red.”

Dan, “Yeah I figured as much. I just thought of something Mina. Did you know that was the second time you brought your strength up in a public gathering?”

Mina, “Huh? I hadn't really thought of it. I remember though. Whenever they asked me to carry this ax I couldn't believe that they were requesting such a thing of me.” As she spoke Mina turned the weapon in her hands so that the flat of the ax faced towards the sky.

Dan, “You know I don't believe they're asking you to stay here for no reason. The enemy has to know we're coming considering what Mirin and the others did in the spirit realm. Can you imagine what they're going to do once we begin the actual attack on them?”

After a moment Mina gave a slight nod. “You have a good point Dan. I don't know. I never meant to let my strength or endurance be a factor when dealing with others. Somehow after all this time it just slipped to the front of my mind and suddenly I'm stronger then you became a suitable argument for why I should be the one to take certain risks and why they should be the ones who plays it safe.”

Dan, “Gee I wonder how a sister could get that mentality.”

Mina, “Well it's always worked when arguing with the brothers and you.” As she spoke Mina didn't realize she was raising her voice though only slightly. Her tone didn't change in anger though but rather in alarm as if she was a young girl again and suddenly been caught in her own words.

Now Dan was smiling as he looked at Mina and even found himself struggling to keep from laughing. As he looked around he realized that every sister in the area could hear them though none of the brothers could. None of them had said a word but he was well aware of how many of them were smiling. He was a bit surprised whenever a guardian chose to risk joining the conversation.

Teca, “Don't feel bad Mina. I kind of wish I was one of the ones that was staying behind. The idea of leaving our brothers behind with so few to keep them safe isn't exactly something I find comforting.”

***************************************************************************************************

Joseph, “So you're going to be running ahead and scouting the enemy area. You be careful Maria. I don't know what I would do if I were to lose you.”

Maria, “I'll take care and they've already told me that my job isn't to fight anything. I'm just to search around the enemies base so that I know what areas to block off.”

Joseph, “Do you really believe you can get there before Zarena? I know that you're fast but damn those are some extremely long strides she takes.”

Maria, “True but Zarena won't be able to truly run like I can. After all our goal is to deal with the enemy without doing too much damage to the forest and someone as big as her running at full speed would do some real damage. I'm quite sure that I'll be able to stay ahead of her and look around the area. The fact that the enemy is going to see her coming should make it even easier for me to scout the area.”

Joseph, “I can see that. It's surprising that your mother didn't want you to join her.”

Maria, “She needs fast sisters that can arrive at the same time not one extremely fast sister that would arrive long before the others. I'm better used as a scout. Joseph while I'm gone I want you to play it safe don't just set around. It wouldn't surprise anyone if the village was attacked while we were away. Try to think of what you can do to help protect yourself and the others and start doing it.”

Joseph, “I will Maria. I just wish I could send you off with something to protect you as well.”

Maria, “Oh come now Joseph you're sending me off with an additional meter of height I wouldn't have otherwise and even more mass then that. Like I said before you've done plenty. I”ll see you soon.”

***************************************************************************************************

Mirin, “This is an outrage! How dare they forbid me from coming! I'm the one that led the.”

Zora, “That's enough Mirin!”

Mirin was actually made to recoil slightly as he looked up at Zora who was now looking down at him quite sternly. It was rare she adopted that tone with him to the point that he wasn't entirely sure how to handle it. “They need me Zora.”

Zora, “Mirin you're injured and don't give me any of that crap about you being a mage and not needing to worry about your hands. You channel your energy through your hands and as they are now they would not be a good focus for you. Your spells power would be greatly reduced as would your ability to control your energies. I'm not going to let you just burn off your hands either.”

Nothing came from Mirin as he looked up at Zora. He had risked much in traveling to the shadow realm to confront the Amalgam and find its location. To suddenly be told he couldn't go was exceptionally upsetting. The fact that it was due to actual injuries made the situation less bitter though. “I want to help you all.”

Zora, “You have and now its our turn to finish things up. I swear I'm surprised you didn't respond like Mina whenever you realized you weren't going to be coming.”

Mirin, “It doesn't help that it's my own brothers telling me that I can't go with them. After all this time hearing it from my sisters the fact that it's now my brothers is well just a little upsetting.”

Zora, “Hey now. Don't be all fussy on me.” As she spoke Zora reached down and placed a hand underneath Mirin so that she could pick him up. She had to be careful to avoid putting any force on his hands as she lifted him from the ground and held him in front of her face. “No one is going to think any less of you after this. Besides you can take this time to work on other things.”

Mirin, “Such as?”

Zora, “Such as what Zarena told us about last night. She said that the trappers kept records. I believe you should spend some time in the lower reaches of the library and see what you can dig up. Perhaps some of those ancient contracts were recorded and could still be of use.”

Mirin, “Mm such records wouldn't be in the citadel as they were formed after the fall of the true Luvarians. They might be within the library still though I'm not sure where they would be locked away. If I think about it they were probably kept where sisters weren't likely to find them. I don't know how sisters would treat such documents after all.”

Zora, “Mirin, that's going a little far. We wouldn't destroy knowledge that might be useful to our brothers.”

Mirin, “Even if you believed the risk out weighed the benefit?”

Zora, “Um well we can talk about that later. We don't have time for a political debate.” As she finished speaking Zora brought Mirin closer to her face and gave him a kiss that covered the majority of his.

***************************************************************************************************
Phinila, “No Pera you can't come with us you have to remain here.”

Pera, “But mom I'm just as large as the old guardians use to be and they would have been allowed to go into battle back then!”

Phinila, “Yes and things have changed since then. You might be the same size that I was but you're not the same size that I am. I've also had a lot more combat experience then you and that will help keep me safe.”

Stella, “Besides she has an important job to do back here.”

While she had been speaking with her mother Pera hadn't noticed Stella so near by. When she joined the conversation though she looked up towards the massive keeper. “What is that?”

Stella, “Pera I need you and the other young sisters to remain here and keep the brothers that won't be joining us safe. I want to ask you to do more then that though. Pera would you keep an eye on Allen for me? I don't know how I could go on if I were to return and find out my baby had been harmed.”

For a moment Pera was silent but looked to her mother and then to Stella. Her mind wondered back to her time on the beach and how she had fought with her older sisters to defend her home. She had thought she may be able to continue doing that whenever she returned from the beach but had been proven wrong. Now she found herself being told that she was too young to join in on the main attack despite her strengthened body. Yet the thought that she would be protecting Allen brought her comfort. “Well staying behind and protecting Allen doesn't sound that bad.”

Stella, “So you will do it?”

For a moment Pera said nothing but she was made to smile and nod at last. “Yeah. He means a lot to me as well.”


***************************************************************************************************

As Zarena walked through the forest her eyes kept moving to her shoulder. Several brothers and sisters currently set upon her shoulder each one looking out over the forest. At times their eyes would travel to her but only rarely. They were focused on the enemy to come it seemed. Yet she couldn't help but be worried about the brothers. They were going to be entering the shadow realm to confront the amalgam yet they had so little combat training. If there had been trappers amongst them she wouldn't have been the least bit worried but this was hard to take. “Desmon will your druid friends be joining us?”

Desmon, “Yes Zarena. They're currently waiting to strike against the amalgam as well. They'll be joining us in the shadow realm for the actual battle. You smell concerned though.”

Zarena, “I am. I hope that I can lend you aid though. These claws of mine can harm more then what exist in this world of ours and I intend to use them to do so once the creature has revealed itself.”

Desmon, “Can you see the amalgam yet?”

Zarena, “ I see something strange ahead of us now. I couldn't say what it was if I didn't know what we're moving towards but I don't believe it is the amalgam. There is an intense fire in our path though it won't reach into this realm. I guess you all really did set the place aflame in a spectacular way.”

Nathan grinned as he looked up at Zarena. “Once we're done here you'll have to let Mirin know you believe he did a good job. He won't be himself for some time after everything that has happened.”

Zarena, “Indeed. Okay wait here.” As she spoke Zarena crouched down so that she was on one knee and began to lift her various brothers and sisters from her shoulders. As she did so they looked at her with more then a little bit of curiosity. “I'm going ahead of everyone just in case there is a trap waiting for me. It's unlikely that they have something that could harm me but I won't risk any of you being harmed whenever I can take the first wave of attacks.”

***************************************************************************************************

As the Amalgam watched Zarena through Alex's eyes the creature was truly astounded. It knew that the forest had some powerful guardians but this was not what it had been prepared for. It didn't intend on retreating though especially with all true paths it could used closed off. It would make a stand and fortunately Alex would be helping with that. While Zarena set her brothers and sisters on the ground the Amalgam had Alex begin to chant combining its power with his. As Alex chanted though the creature didn't stop there but begin to draw in strength from the weaker kobolds in the nesting area. The ones who had been gathered into the lower chambers.

Diton didn't know why he had been brought down to the lower chambers. He didn't know why they were so many of his kind there either. He knew that every so often the roof above them would tremble as if the entire mountain was being shaken and any kobolds who tried to leave would be killed by the master's children. They guarded all the exits even the ones that had been meant to be secret. What was going on? An answer of sort struck the kobolds moments later and sent Diton to the ground. A great pain hit him in the chest and apparently several others as they began to topple over. A few managed to remain standing or went to their knees but not Diton. “What happen!”

The room was soon filled with low growls and similar cries as well as cries of pain. As Diton looked on at the children though he realized that none of them had fallen over. They all seemed to be fine. Where they that much stronger then them or was the pain only targeting them? Before Diton could think too much on that subject he gave a sudden violent cough. A cough that brought several droplets of blood up with it and only served to make the kobold all the more worried.

Alex could feel the power building within him. It was far more power then he had ever felt before and far more then he would have been able to handle only a few weeks before. His constant interaction with the Amalgam had conditioned his body so it did not fail him now. It was a stunning realization but not one he cared for even as he could continue to feel the power building. He knew that this much magic had to come from somewhere.

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena was made to grin as she looked out towards the mountain. “It seems my concerns were correct. Now take cover.”

The brothers had noticed the magic as well and would have moved to do so if it hadn't been for the sisters. Before they could move the sisters began gathering them up and moving them back. As the sisters moved several stood before those who held the brothers putting essentially three layers of protection between them and whatever was to come. It was actually moderately annoying to many of them as even Nathan found himself considering what spells they might use to counteract whatever was happening in the kobolds nesting area.

What type of attack was she about to encounter? Zarena didn't know as she began to walk towards the source. It was already massive and building rapidly though she had no intention of dodging. If she were to move away from the attack she felt certain it would be aimed at her brothers and sisters. Did the caster or casters who were preparing the spell know this? She wasn't sure but the moment she was a safe distance away from her brothers and sisters she went from a slow walk to a run. Her right foot sunk heavily into the earth sending up massive chunks of stone and dirt as she rushed forward intending to shut the spell down before it could be completed. She was fairly certain she failed on that attempt as she felt a sudden rush of energy.

A sharp gasp escaped Nathan as he grabbed his throat his skin suddenly growing red. He didn't have time to panic though as the sister who was carrying him had already began to move. The sudden pop they had heard in their ears told them what had happened and they had no intention of remaining. Whatever spell had just been cast had actually stripped the oxygen from the area.

Despite having the enemy in front of her Zarena risked a look back. She was relieved to see that her sisters had already noticed the threat and were moving the brothers to a safer location. The best thing she could think of though was to stop the spell and restore oxygen to the area. Before she could do so a sharp pain struck as her ears began to positively scream. Zarena's hands covered her ears nearly the second the sound began to assault them yet nothing happened even as she found the pain causing her to lose her balance. With no air in the vicinity she knew this wasn't a natural attack but rather some magic influence upon hear hearing.

It was clear to Nathan  Zarena was being attacked as she went to one knee. He felt his heart skip a beat though when she extended her claws and plunged them into her ears. He didn't need to see the blood to know what had happened as she positively glared at the mountain now. She had destroyed her own ear drums in order to stop the pain. The entire world seemed to tremble as she surged forward once again. There was no way for Nathan to see her face but as he looked upon her tensed back and the position of her arms it was clear she was quite upset.

There was no sound as Zarena's massive claws slammed into the mountain due to the still air. The sight was spectacular though. While her arm sunk into one location massive eruptions of earth shot out from numerous portions of the mountain. Massive stones were flying through the air and violently slamming into the ground some of them even landing in front of where they were being carried. With this display of power Nathan was truly horrified as something surged forth from the mountain and struck Zarena in the stomach. He could feel the shock wave that ran throughout the ground as the massive sleeper was sent flying through the air.

There wasn't time for Zarena to recover from the attack. The moment she had regained her footing the ground surged upwards from beneath her. A slight pain could be felt coming from her feet and as she moved away from the ground Zarena wasn't too surprised to see that the ground beneath her had been formed into jagged rock spikes and forced up into her feet. Her eyes revealed to her what was happening almost immediately.

The spirit had truly claimed this region for itself. Its power had reached through from the shadow realm to infect the very earth of the region. How long this infection had been spreading or taken Zarena didn't know but it was clear this creature could use the very ground she stood on as a weapon. For now though she had other concerns as she turned her gaze so she looked off in the distance Zarena quickly rushed forward aiming for the border between the dead air created by the spell and the fresh air.

***************************************************************************************************

Alex could hardly believe how well that spell had worked. Between the three attacks they had actually managed to turn such a massive creature. He had been quite concerned whenever she had struck the mountain but fortunately the force had been diverted into weaker regions. Their collapse had soaked most of the energy from Zarena's attack. As she began to know though he had no intention of letting her escape and once again reached out with the ground. This time he weakened the bonds of the earth beneath her feet shifting it to mud while causing yet another javelin of stone to be driven forward. The sight and feeling of the earth trembling seconds later chilled his bones.

Nearly the instant the ground had began to shift beneath her Zarena's claws had extended and dug deeply into the earth. The mystic nature of her claws disrupted the spirits hold and allowed her to gain her footing even as the javelin was driven towards her stomach. She made no move to dodge but continued to push forward the wall of muscle that comprised her abdomen met with the stone and the stone yielded in an instant.

How strong was this creature? The question flashed into Alex's mind as he could feel a slight glimpse of Zarena's strength as she pushed through the stone. A sharp pain in his head reclaimed his focus.

Amalgam, “Focus human! She is still a creature of flesh stop her from gaining breath.”

There was no hesitation on Alex's part as he gave a quick nod and thrust his hands forward. He could feel himself grasping the barrier between the two regions and quickly forced it to shift even as Zarena neared it. Relief flooded into him as the wall shifted in order to hold Zarena captive but avoid her claws. This feeling of triumph was greatly reduced when Zarena began to move about making small grabs for the boundary while constantly shifting her location.

***************************************************************************************************

At first Nathan hadn't been certain what Zarena was doing. When the air was made to bristle with energy though he knew what was happening. She was trying to attack the barrier itself using her claws. The fact that the barrier was finite was made very clear though when Nathan suddenly found himself able to breath again. Before he could take in a breath though he felt the sister who held him press her lips against his and force air into his lunges. He couldn't see it but this was being performed all around him while several other sisters began to sniff the air quite actively.

“I don't smell any poison.” Shot throughout the area before the brothers were released from their lip locks and settled down. The sisters then began to gather up for an attack. The keepers were already moving to the front while three guardians moved to stand to the sides and right behind each keeper. Those who remained began to gather to protect their brother.

Nathan, “Hold give us a moment with this barrier!” As he spoke Nathan moved to stand with several of the brothers who quickly joined him. While the brothers took up positions several began to draw glyphs in the soft ground to help them focus there energies. They didn't have time to make sure the layout was perfect but years of practice insured that even a hurried glyph would be fairly close to a carefully laid out one so long as it was simple. The soft earth was a pore material to carve it into as well but for this purpose it would work.

***************************************************************************************************

Fera, “How are you holding up Mina?”

At first Mina said nothing but glanced up towards the massive matron. She smiled then their eyes met. “I'm not doing too well. I can't get myself to relax and I keep feeling like I should rush off to help our sisters but here I sit. It must be even worse for you considering your eyes.”

Fera, “The battle has started and already some very serious magic is being used. I'm not sure if lives are being lost just yet but it's clear Zarena's still active. She stands out a great deal even from this distance.”

Mina, “Does she make it hard to see our other sisters?”

Fera, “OH yes she does. She makes it beyond hard to be honest but there is little that can be done about that. I'm actually glad knowing that she's there.”

Mina, “I never really thought much about it but you matrons really aren't allowed to patrol the forest a great deal. It's always been said that your power needs to be kept close to the fortress to insure we don't lose it. Yet as some of the most powerful fighters we have wouldn't it be best for you to be out there? Besides the citadel has the protectors.”

Fera, “The library doesn't.”

Mina, “True but our past sisters built it to last. The stones high grade stone, enhanced with alchemy, extremely thick and even includes glyphs to add to their strength. Even we have trouble damaging them.”

Fera, “That is true but well I know it seems strange to bench your strongest warriors but think of it like this. If they send in all their strongest at once that is one battle won yes. However, what happens if that battle was only a decoy and the enemies true strength was going to strike at our home or elsewhere. With all the main fighters there then we wouldn't have what's needed to protect our home or perhaps the next region. So some of us have to remain behind so that we can adapt as long as the situation isn't desperate for those fighting.”

Mina, “That makes sense. So do you believe that we're going to end up fighting the bulk of the enemy here?”

Fera, “There is a noteworthy force moving towards us right now. I can see them.”

Despite her words Mina couldn't help the wave of alarm and disbelief that struck her. “What!” As the words escaped her Mina leaped to her feet grasping her ax as she did so.

Fera, “I already told our other sisters and brothers they're preparing for what is to come. What I would like to know is if these enemies have come to capture some of us to use against our sisters attacking their home or just to kill us. In either case you might want to know that they're flying.”

At first Mina didn't say anything. A toothy grin formed on her face moments later just after she let lose a long sigh. “Part of me believes I brought this upon us with my complaining.”

Fera, “Don't be silly Mina. If you were that powerful I'd smack the day lights out of you if I heard so much as half of a negative statement.”

Mina, “Do you think you could?”

Fera, “Well not while you're expecting.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she looked towards the sky. “Let's go speak with the others and see what they believe we should do. I imagine Mirin is already working with the alchemists on something.” As she was speaking Mina couldn't help but notice a sister running towards her packing several containers. “Dezta?”

Dezta didn't bother stopping until she came within arms reach of Mina. The young sister held several bottles in her arms and looked to both Mina and then Fera, “Dan says break the very top of these off and throw them before five seconds have past. He said you probably shouldn't have a broken bottle near anyone once the bottle has been broken so only break when you're ready to throw.”

Mina, “What are they?”

Dezta, “They're some of the excess potions the brothers made for defending the village. Apparently they cause some really noteworthy damage.”

Mina, “What about the shapers all that silver was used to make?”

Dezta, “OH we get those.” As she spoke Dezta held up one of the shapers. “Mirin said that the stronger sisters could throw the bottles while the weaker ones to get to use the shapers.”

Fera, “Hey. Why did you give them all to Mina? I can throw to.”

Dezta, “Can you break the top off without shattering the entire bottle.”

Fera, “Probably not.” A slight chuckle escaped Fera as she straitened up. “Okay I'm going to go take a look at the enemy but I won't be going too far. I'll soften them up as much as I can.”

Mina, “Fera how are you going to do that?”

Fera, “I'm going to throw very large rocks at them naturally.”

***************************************************************************************************

Kersara had grown use to the kobolds attack patterns over the last few days. The little bastards would rush onto the beach in huge numbers and swarm everything they could. Once a target was truly swarmed the others would move onto something else. Considering their numbers it was a tactic they could get away with. This wasn't something she was ready for as she looked out over the water. The creatures had rigged up some kind of weapons platforms with what looked to be ballistas. Where they had gotten such weapons or figured out how to use them was beyond her but they were proving a problem.

The water kobolds didn't risk rushing onto the shore this time but remained in the ocean. A vast number of them occupied the majority of the water between the beach and their weapons but none moved  onto the actual land or even the shallow water. Rather they held their ground and waited. Every once in a while a sharp piercing whistle could be heard over the chatter of the creatures and even the weapons fire but none were truly certain what it meant if it meant anything. All the orcs knew that they were constantly having to move to avoid the attacks.

While Kersara considered her options she was rather surprised when she heard Kelah's voice though very grateful. “How are those javelins coming?”

Lanod, “They're coming but if you want them done properly we can't rush this.”

Kersara, “What's going on over there Kelah?”

Kelah, “Just something to take out those weapons. Now would a few of you come over here to provide some cover while these are finished? Imbuing weapons with the power of an element on short notice isn't easy work from what I hear.” After the words had left her mouth Kelah was welcomed by the site of Kersara and two other sisters who had moved to provide them with cover.

Kersara, “Okay but you know we tend to disrupt magic right?”

Kelah, “Don't worry about this. The spells they're working on don't need to last very long. So Kersara how is your aim as far as long distances go and your sisters?”

Kersara, “My sisters' are typically terrible mine is better due to working on the water front for so long. I've actually had to make use of some projectile weapons.”

Kelah, “Then I'm glad we only have.” A sudden rush of sand and other debris silenced Kelah as one of the projectiles was fired towards them only to be knocked from the air by Kersara, The resulting blast was still enough to kick up a good bit of sand. “Yuck I believe I got some sand in my mouth.”

Kersara, “Sorry about that. You were saying?”

Kelah, “I'm glad that we only have a few targets to hit.”

Kersara, “Ah. So Kelah other then this do you have any idea on how we might get those freaks onto land so we can rip them apart.”

Kelah, “Short of retreating further into the forest so they have to chase us? No. Which really sucks to be honest. If this was some other enemy I would say that we can wait until the tides are in our favor and use the water to sink them but that only works on enemies who don't breath underwater. If it was a smaller body of water or if they were closer I would see if we could force the waves back so that we have more dry land to fight on but that's just too much water to move.”

Kersra, “Damn. I could go into the water after then but I could only risk going to far as well.”

Kelah, “Don't do that. They wouldn't have to touch you to kill you all they would have to do is influence the currents so that you couldn't return to the surface to take air.”

Lanod, “I wouldn't say that is entirely true. Once we finish with these weapons I have something that I believe will be able to help you. I realize that we can't use magic on you but what is to stop us from using magic on something else so that it constantly grants fresh air?”

Kersara, “You can do that?”

Lanod, “No. I do have something that can grant you quite a lot of air. I actually have some of them right now but we need them in making these javelins. So please try to hit your target as the fewer we have to use the more we can let your sisters have for in the water.”

Kersara, “Gee great. So could I have a javelin that hasn't been imbued to practice with?”

Kelah, “You can have one natural one to attempt with once we're ready for you to start throwing. Sorry Kersara but we don't want them figuring out what's going on until it's too late. I'll be throwing with you.”

***************************************************************************************************

Pain shot throughout Alex's arm as he tried to move the barrier which he had been using to protect their base. This wasn't due to Zarena hitting the barrier though but rather several mystic anchors which had taken hold of it. There was no time to think about where they had come from though as he struggled to move the barrier. As intense as the pain was it wouldn't begin to compare to what would come if he couldn't move it.

He was greeted by the feared pain moments later and wasn't able to keep his screams inside. He felt his legs going weak and his vision began to blur as his arms seemed to burst into flames. The barrier had been struck and by something that has the ability to disrupt magic. As an opening in the barrier was created the mystic backlash practically made the skin on Alex's arms boil. So great was the pain that he didn't even consider that if it wasn't for the Amalgam protecting him he would have lost his arms entirely.

As Alex began to fall the Amalgam wasn't happy with the situation. The oxygen barrier had been what was keeping the creature away from them as well as the earth itself. The barrier hadn't been destroyed entirely though. “Weaken the barrier and permit some oxygen into here. Do not let it collapse though human.”

There was no protest from Alex as he stood up and began to shift the magic about. Even if they didn't have the barrier at full strength the degraded oxygen wouldn't be suitable to sustaining life. As he worked the barrier though he could feel the Amalgam working through him at the same moment. He only needed a moment to realize the spirit was causing the ground around the mountain to shift both in consistency and in nature.

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena took in a deep breath as she opened up the barrier and found herself able to speak again. “Sisters focus on the edge of the barrier but don't push forward yet. Try to drain as much energy as you can so that it collapses.”

Immediately several sisters began to charge forward sniffing the air looking for the location where the barrier transitioned from the pure air of the forest to the tainted air. That would be where the barrier stood and where their bodies would have the greatest influence on the barrier. Several of them wanted to push forward into the Amalgam's domain but none were ready to argue the point with Zarena. As they moved forward though only a few stopped to realize that the brothers had began to make their preparations to enter into the shadow realm and confront the Amalgam. Flora did though and it slowed her movements.

Sora “Nathan be careful.”

Nathan, “We will be as careful as we can be Sora. Just keep doing what you are. This thing is trying to protect its physical home and that's going to be draining its energy. The more energy you force it to devote to fighting you here the weaker it will become. But Sora I wouldn't let any of the sisters fight alone on this battlefield. The earth itself is against you and you still need to breath from time to time.”

Sora, “So it seems to have realized. Fortunately we don't need to breath all that often.”

Nathan, “Yes otherwise Zarena would have been in serious trouble. Still, she has slowed if you watch her movements. She's trying to catch her breath.” As he spoke Nathan turned his gaze towards Zarena. It was true a sister could go a long time without taking in any fresh air but afterwords it could take them a long time to regain their stamina. Sora don't forget Zarena is powerful but you're just as intelligent as she is. If you believe she's behaving foolishly call her down.”

Sora, “Thanks. Now I'll move away so I don't disrupt your spell and force you to use more energy then you need to.”

Nathan, “We won't enter into the spirit's domain until the orc shamans and the druids have joined us. Until then we will attack from a distance. Remember Sora this creature is tied to living creatures in this world if you kill them you will weaken it overall.”

Sora, “What do you mean overall?”

Nathan, “It is possible that this creature will grow stronger initially as the kobolds die if it consumes their life energy as they fall. Maiming them would serve us in this battle more then actual killing blows.”

Sora, “Nathan, I don't believe we can do that with the land itself against us.”

Nathan, “I know that's why I didn't mention it to the others. If you see the mage though don't kill him if you can avoid it. Instead try to only remove his arms, legs and tongues.”

Sora, “Okay but Nathan don't you believe you should tell Zarena that?”

Nathan, “I would but she popped her ear drums a short while ago. She won't be able to hear anything for a while.”

Despite the entire situation Sora suddenly felt very silly. So much so that for a moment she had to cover her face. “Okay I'm going to get to the battle now. Have fun in the shadow realm and remember to come back alive. It's bad enough when one of my sisters die but honestly we out number you quite badly.”

Nathan, “We shall do our best.”

***************************************************************************************************

Kersara couldn't help the look of surprise as a fearsome roar shook the area. She had just thrown the first of the javelines the orcs had prepared and it had found its mark. The moment it had struck the creature the day had grown all the brighter as a viscous torrent of lightning had struck where the javelin had struck. Then the creature had rose up. The platform that the kobolds was using for their weapons was actually a massive turtle like creature the likes of which Kersara hadn't ever seen this close to land. As she watched the creature thrashing about her thoughts were interrupted by yet another bright flash and roar.

Kelah, “Don't stop throwing!”

Immediately Kersara realized the truth in Kelah's words and grabbed another javelin. There would be time to think about what they'd just seen soon enough. As she sent her second javelin through the air she wasn't too surprised when her target seemed to shift as if trying to move away. It didn't move fast enough though as the javelin found its mark. Much like the other two the creature responded with a roar of pain what she didn't grasp though is that none of them had tried to submerge themselves. Were they just well enough trained that they wouldn't back down without orders, perhaps the lightning wasn't powerful enough to force a retreat or perhaps something else was there. “Do any of you know what they are?”

Lanod, “Big and dieing more will have to be revealed later.” As Lanod spoke he more forced one of the javelin's into Kersara's hands then handed it to her. “Now don't give the others time to submerge!”

As she took the javelin Kersara gave a quick nod but as she turned to see what was happening she couldn't help herself. “Shit!”

A sigh escaped Kelah as she watched the remaining creature submerge. She had managed to release another javelin for a grand total of four that they had managed to strike but they had been others. Others which would be waiting in the water and could pose a serious threat. “Lanod are the ones we hit dead?”

Lanod, “I can't say for sure Kelah. If I had to risk a guess I would say yes they're quite dead.”

Kelah, “Good but now what? They're not shooting at us anymore but they're still there.”

Kersara, “How about giving me something so I can go into the water now Lanod?”

At first Lanod said nothing but looked out over the water. “You know those things will be waiting for you and one of you must remain. Kelah you're the only one I would risk giving one of these javelins to amongst our brethren and I don't believe any of that matters.” As Lanod spoke he quickly gathered up the remaining javelins and began to back away as he noted a massive swell of water moving towards them. He didn't get too far.

Kersara, “Fall back!” As she spoke Kersara took hold of Lanod and Kelah without truly thinking about what she was doing. Her feet dug into the ground and she began to sprint away. Similar situations were happening throughout the beach as every sister grabbed up whatever orc or tusker happened to be within arms reach and began to sprint deeper into the forest. The orcs shock at the situation only being surpassed by the tuskers who while intelligent enough to realize they were going in the right direction were far from used to being carried and quite so quickly.

The only person who's shock surpassed that of the tuskers would be Kelah's who couldn't even remember the last time she had been carried away from danger. As she watched the massive wave of water roaring towards them though she resolved that she wouldn't complain.

Kersara, “Kelah any idea what's going on?”

Kelah, “I have no idea! I mean to generate a wave like that it's just insane!”

Even as Kelah was speaking Kersara began to slow to a stop and set her as well as Lanod down. She then turned her ears back towards the ocean trying to listen for the sounds of either combat or screams for help. “Kelah would your orcs call for aid if they were pulled in?”

Kelah, “Kersara if one of us without the blessing of a mighty spirit or at the very least the protection a water spirit was hit by that wave they're already dead.” As she spoke Kelah brought herself to a standing position. “Listen for the sound of your sisters and see if any of them were taken into the ocean.”

Kerara, “I didn't hear anything.”

For a moment Kelah gave a nod and took in a deep breath. “Could you tell your sisters to regroup and bring the orcs with them? I need to know how many brothers and sisters I lost just now. I'd also appreciate it if they could bring any tuskers with them. Blast it!” As she spoke Kelah gripped her axes and looked past the trees where the wave hadn't reached.

While Kelah's words had helped put a fine point on it Kersara knew what was coming. The water kobolds had no intentions of allowing them to regroup after forcing them to scatter they were rushing onto the beach once again. “Kelah which way do we go I'll help you gather up your orcs!”

Kelah, “What about your sisters?”

Kersara, “ Where we find your orcs we'll find my sisters. I wasn't the only one packing a few of you. I could have sworn I saw one of them with four and what looked to be a tusker.”

***************************************************************************************************

Carter couldn't help but grimace in pain as he struggled to resist the mystic backlash of his own barrier. Fortunately his shield was quickly reinforced by Landon's and Cullen’s barrier  as they rushed to protect him. It was actually a rather unusual situation. A brother rushing to protect a brother in a combative situation but none of them were ready to watch another brother fall just yet.

Cullen, “Well this is frustrating. I thought we were far enough away from that damn things territory.”

Carter, “I guess it expected this and waited until we were far enough in.” As he spoke Carter looked around at the various spirits which stood before them as well as the kobolds. Unfortunately these weren't the normal kobolds. If the kobolds have gotten there by their own power or with aid from the Amalgam wasn't known but one thing was clear they were shaman.

Xizon found himself looking at the humans who had entered the shadow realm. A grin was worn on his face. “The master told us that you would be coming! Now you will die without the furred ones to protected you.”

Carter didn't answer with words but began to gather magic for a spell. He wasn't prepared for what happened next as a massive explosion seemed to strike where the kobolds and some of their spirit allies stood. Horrific screams filled the air and a bright light appeared above them. Carter dared to risk a look towards the heavens and for a moment he could have sworn he saw a set of teeth as well as massive claws. Several of the spirits and kobolds vanished seconds later while others were sent falling towards the ground.

The attack had truly been unexpected. As Xizon looked towards the sky he didn't know if he should be more worried about what came from the heavens or what stood before him. What struck him as extremely strange wasn't the attack itself though that was an object of great concern. Rather it was the fact that while several of the weaker spirits had vanished and others had been torn from the ground as well as some kobolds he was intact. Not only was he intact but he hadn't felt the claw's touch whenever they had appeared though he'd clearly seen them pass through him. There was little time to think about that though as his entire field of vision was filled with a brilliant light while his skin felt like it would be burned from his flesh due to the heat that came with the light. This heat wasn't due to a fire spell but due to the massive wave of lightning that engulfed him and the one thing that saved his life a very note worthy mystic barrier.

While Nathan had expected some form of retaliation from the spirit once they entered the shadow realm this was a bit more then he had been prepared for. It made him far more certain that the decision to remain outside of the spirit's true domain had been a good decision. If they had stood in the heart of its realm they probably would have been dead by now. As he looked at the flickering remains of the shield and the kobold shaman who stood behind it he felt more certain of that. He could see the kobold's energies and was far from impressed. The shield and its ability to endure one of his lightning attacks was clearly a result of them being close to its master.

Xizon didn't have time to recover from his injuries. Once the lightning had cleared and his vision had just began to return he heard the roar of flames as Carter, Landon and Cullen all three blasted his barrier with flame bursts. The barrier had stood up to one of Nathan's attacks but in its weakened state it wasn't able to hold for more then a moment. The barrier collapsed and the flames engulfed the kobold the resulting pressure wave actually lifting him up and carrying him through the air.

Nathan, “Are you three alright?”

Cullen, “We're fine. What was that just a second ago?”

Nathan, “Zarena. She's keeping an eye on us it seems.”

Cullen, “Good to know. So what should we do now? I doubt that was the only wave that it's going to be sending against us.”

Nathan, “I believe it's time for us to fall back to a safer location. The further back...” Nathan's words were interrupted by a viscous roar as a torrent of wind and broken earth slammed into him.

The brother's hearts skipped a beat as Nathan was made to vanish within the storm of swirling stone. Carter's response was immediate as he began to gather energy to disrupt the magic. He didn't have time to gather his magic as a massive pressure wave shook the area powdering the stone and disrupting the wind. The fact that the sound was immediately followed by the sight of Nathan standing in its middle was wonderful indeed. His robes had been torn by the attack in some locations revealing a suit of chain armor beneath it and the  slight glow the armor was giving off told them all it was enchanted.

Nathan, “Damn it that hurt!” Even as he spoke Nathan had turned to face the direction of the attack and ready a spell. Instead of remaining still he had began backing up towards the other brothers who were also working to put some distance between themselves and the Amalgam's land.

Carter, “Nathan what was that?”

Nathan, “Pressure barrier. It's a wind barrier that responds to attacks by slowing the projectile and compressing at the same time until it hits a critical point. It then explodes outward.”

Carter, “So those shards aren't what tore your robes?”

Nathan, “No but damn it. Being in the middle of the barrier during its expansion stage is a heck of a lot better then being on its sides but it still hurts.”

For a moment Carter gave a nod and began to look around. “Is that something we should be worried about?”

Nathan, “Well not now but five seconds ago yes.” As he spoke Nathan grinned. The brothers had by now grouped up and he had extended the barrier to encompass them all.

Carter, “Gee thanks for telling us that. Okay what now?”

Nathan, “I want the three of you to begin working on a proper barrier to give us some protection. Make sure it is a complete sphere we don't know if we can trust the ground beneath our feet at this point.”

Cullen, “You don't believe we should make our way to the others? What if they're under attack as well?”

Nathan, “Cullen we're the spear head. The best thing we can do to insure the safety of our brothers is keep pointed in the right direction.”

***************************************************************************************************

Fera hated the limitations of unformed projectiles. The rocks she picked up and send flying towards the swarm of kobolds tended to go off their intended path and only a few found their marks. The more spread out the creatures became the less she hit and even aiming individual stones was often fruitless. It was the best she could do in the current situation as she waited for the kobolds to begin their attack. A low growl escaped her whenever the first kobold then the second and a third flew over her head without slowing down in the least. They apparently had a very clear idea of where they were suppose to be going. Instead of giving pursuit Fera picked up another mass of stones and sent them flying. As long as they were more kobolds heading towards her then behind her she needed to hold her ground and try to take them down.

***************************************************************************************************

Lanora, “You look ready to fight.”

As the words reached her ears Mina looked back at the matron who now stood a short distance where Fera had been earlier. “Well, I sort of have to be don't I?”

Lanora, “Yeah but it goes beyond that. Do you intend on showing them the same level of aggression you showed me?”

Now Mina was made to give Lanora a very toothy grin. “I plan on doing worse. After all we were just sparring with one another. These bastards intend to harm my mate.”

A slight giggle escaped Lanora as she squatted down slightly so she was closer to eye level with Mina. “That's good to know. I'm not really sure how we're going to handle this though. Flying enemies have always been something of a pain.”

Mina, “True but shouldn't Rora be able to help with that one?”

Lanora, “Indeed she should but she's helping guard the northern section of the library. Any ideas on what we should do?”

Mina, “I wish. Next time they stick me with some mystic weapon I'm going to demand they let me use something other then a melee weapon. I'm sure this ax would be wonderful against anything I could get close enough to reach but flying kobolds?”

Lanora, “Do you hear those impacts? It sounds like Fera is doing her best.”

Mina, “Yeah but I think she has the same problem we do. We need something to force them down.”

Dan, “I believe I can help with that.”

Mina was actually made to jump when she heard Dan's voice and quickly spun around. She was even more surprised to see him holding a glowing tome which had been opened wide. She didn't recognize any of the letters on the pages but from their energy she assumed they were magic. “Dan what are you doing here and what are you holding?”

Dan, “I came out to help you of course. As for what I'm holding. It's a mystic word. Mirin lent one to me and one to Joseph and a few other of the alchemist.”

For a moment Mina said nothing but glanced down at the book. When it came to magic items there were many that would let you cast different spells even if you didn't happen to know the true spell. It was the item that shaped the magic you just provided the energy and at times you didn't even do that. Of these items though mystic words were in a league of their own. While some items would let you cast a few spells the upper limit tended to be a dozen. A mystic word allowed for hundreds of spells if not more to the point that the better made mystic words made it possible for someone to pass for a true mage. “I really don't know what to say to that except perhaps I can hardly believe they're ready to use them.”

Dan, “Well Mirin said that these are the easy to replace ones. You know the ones that would only require a few months of twelve hour days to replace if it was to be destroyed or lost. He also suggested that I should stick to spells that are strongly related to the alchemy I know.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she turned her gaze towards the sky. “Dan I don't like you being here but blast it all I don't have any means of knocking them out of the sky. If you do then stay but if you don't I want you back inside.”

Dan, “Then it's fortunate that I have something.”

Mina, “Alright then, so where is Joseph at the moment?”

Dan, “The last I checked he was going to be helping protect the western side of the library.”

Mina, “Maria is going to flip out whenever she learns that he joined the battle but she wasn't here to protect him. I know that I would upon my return. Does he have a matron over there helping to keep watch over him?”

Dan, “He's working with Nadia the last I checked. Wherever there are brothers helping to defend there is a matron helping to insure they don't get killed.”

For a moment Mina went silent and took in a deep breath. “Well alright then. I believe you should get that word warmed up. I can hear their wings very clearly now and the rate of impacts have increased so I'm guessing Fera is running back as fast as her legs can carry her.” As she spoke something strange hit Mina's nose. It wasn't an actual impact but it may as well have been. She smelt smoke.

***************************************************************************************************

Even as Fera moved ahead of the kobolds she was seeing red. While the kobolds had been flying over the village a few of them had let lose with their fire breath and set a few of the buildings on fire. The structures were strongly built, meant to last and quite empty at this point but even with no one in danger and it unlikely all the buildings would catch fire the fact that they had done it was more then enough to anger Fera. She was able to remember her job though and as soon as it seemed best to she began to run back to the library. As she passed the swarm and neared the library she wasn't surprised when questions hit her.

Lanora, “Fera what is that smell?”

Fera, “The little bastards set the town on fire!” As Fera spoke her anger came out in her voice and her voice carried over the entire library. Her anger was soon joined by several roars as the sisters frustration was voiced. The fact that they couldn't move to defend the town only made them angrier. A fact that the brothers were quite aware of.

The news was angering to all but with Dan so close to her Mina didn't show it. Instead she took in a deep breath and looked down at her mate. She then lowered herself to one knee and leaned forward placing a kiss on top of his head. “I don't suppose you're any good with fire are you?”

Dan, “Would you believe my training in alchemy has better conditioned me to freeze things?”

Mina, “Really?”

Dan, “Yes really.” As he spoke Dan felt certain that he could see the kobolds now and they seemed to fill the sky. The chunks in their formation Fera had managed to knock out had been filled in by the others and now they looked down upon the library. “Do you believe that they'll land to fight you?”

Mina, “I don't know. I don't even know how they plan to harm us.”

***************************************************************************************************

Nadia, “Joseph you can settle down. I didn't get to be a matron by being incompetent you know.” As she spoke Nadia watched Joseph fidgeting about. Several times he seemed like he was going to close the word he held in his hands but he would open it back up again and look around.

Joseph, “I've never actually killed a sentient being directly.”

For a moment Nadia said nothing but looked at Joseph.  “Well if you don't feel bad about killing a tree then you shouldn't feel bad about killing these things. They may have roughly the same intelligence but at least a tree is more noble then these kobolds.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph after a moment of looking at Nadia. “That sounds about right. Don't you ever wonder if kobolds behavior might be more due to their environment and nurturing then their actual nature.”

Nadia, “No. So what kind of book do you have there?”

Joseph, “It mostly focuses on life magic but I've already located a few spells that I should be able to use against our enemy especially those who like to fly. Nadia if you don't mind me asking though. All matrons have a mutation what is yours?”

A wide toothy grin formed across Nadia's face. A grin that actually made the matron look more then a little imposing. As far as sisters went Nadia was abnormally muscular though she was no match for Kersara and was far from Mina. Her fur was a medium gray with jet black streaks that ran throughout her fur. The resulting contrast between her dark fur and gleaming quite teeth would have been comforting to few if any. “My mutation is in my brain.”

Despite all the time he'd spent with the sisters Joseph couldn't help but feel a little nervous. The idea of a sister having an altered mentality wasn't comforting to him. The moment was actually enough to make Joseph forget how carefully selected matron's were.

Nadia, “Ha! I knew that I would work. Come on Joseph I'm your sister I'm not going to hurt you.”

Joseph gave a slight jerk as he looked at Nadia. “How did you do that?”

Nadia, “I swear did you even realize how closely you were looking at my claws and teeth?”  As she spoke Nadia relaxed her fingers and withdrew her claws. She had been careful to move then into Joseph's line of sight whenever he'd looked away from her teeth to remind him of other dangers. “Don't worry Joseph whenever I said my mutation was in my brain I meant how I process information. I combine information from my vision, ears, smell, feeling and even memory more effectively then my sisters.”

Joseph, “So your senses are sharper then the other sisters?”

Nadia, “I wouldn't say that. It's just that the information is more closely related to produce a far clearer image of the rest of the world. It allows me to make more accurate predictions about what's going to happen and how I might influence it. Oh and before you ask me how effectively I combine this information I'll go ahead and tell you. I was able to frighten you despite everything you know about matrons and our society.”

Now Joseph was silent again and turned his attention towards the sky. “So what can you tell me about those kobolds?”

Nadia, “They're beginning to spread out around us and have no intention of landing at this point. They're settling in to where the wind currents are fairly steady and the updrafts will help keep them aloft. More then likely they plan on a long drawn out battle or they're going to prepare something. We need to what we can to force them down.”

Joseph, “You don't believe that it would be best to go inside and trust to the walls of the library.”

Nadia, “Not at this moment. If we do that they can prepare whatever magic they want for however long it takes. We need them to believe that we're going to stand and fight them first.”

***************************************************************************************************

Dinon, “Kersara you're alright!” As Dinon spoke he didn't even think of the blood that had just been spilled all over him by Kersara cutting through a wave of the kobolds.

Kersara, “Of course I am I'm not the one who was about to be swarmed.” Even as she was speaking Kersara continued to lash out at the kobolds cutting those unlucky enough to be within five stride distance of her down around both her and Dinon. “Now tell me if you're able to fight or not.”

Dinon, “That is true. I'm still fine to fight. What is the plan?”

Kersara, “Good. We need to get through these kobolds and make our way to those who are trapped on the beach. Together we'll try to fight our way out or at least make a stand.”

There was temptation in Dinon to remind Kersara that they might end up trapped on the beach and overwhelmed if they followed her plan. He didn't make any mention of it though knowing full well that if she had followed such logic he would have been in serious trouble. “Do you have any ideas as to how we can escape from there?”

Kersara, “I wish that I did. Now get over here and start killing things.”

***************************************************************************************************

Phanil, “Let go of him.” As she spoke Phanil lashed out at the kobolds who had taken hold of Grawn. The orc was covered in blood seconds later though fortunately it wasn't his own as the sister shredded several kobolds. She couldn't give him time to recover though as she lifted him from the ground and placed him over her shoulder. Three other orcs currently stood with her but this was proving to be a problem. If she stood still she risked being overwhelmed but if she moved the orcs would be crushed. Relief came seconds later accompanied with the a howling wind.

Haxlon took in a deep breath as he saw his fellow orcs and the beast woman unharmed. He had hated to use such a violent spell near them but had felt it necessary to push back the kobolds. “Get him over here and I'll heal his wounds!”

The orcs responded almost as quickly as Phanil despite her superior speed. They began to push their way towards the orcish shaman. As they moved though Phanil couldn't quiet her concern. “How are you keeping them from swarming you?” There was no need for Haxlon to answer. With the orc shaman having made his presence felt even more strongly the kobolds regrouped their attack upon him. The moment one of them came near though  a shard shot up from the earth and impaled the creature before retreating back into the ground.

Haxlon, “A gift granted to me via an old contract.”

Phanil, “That had better not happen to us!” Even as she was speaking Phanil began to step into the protected area around the shaman.

Haxlon, “I wouldn't have called you over if it would.”

As Phanil stepped into the area she placed Grawn upon the ground before Haxlon. “I'm going to step back out and try to thin their numbers.”

Kersara, “Oh no you won't!” As she spoke Kersara had already made her way towards the group the water kobolds more vaporizing at her approach then being reduced to bits. The incredible power within each one of Kersara's strikes didn't truly give their kobolds body time to properly deform to the force.

Phanil, “Kersara you made it!”

Kersara, “Of course. Listen I can't stay here for long.  They're a group of orcs and some sisters only three hundred meters to the north of us. I want you six to make your way there and group up with them. I need to keep moving.”

Phanil, “Okay I'll help these people get there and then come and help you.”

Kersara, “No! You stay put with them and help protect them with the others.”

Phanil, “Kersara I can help you!”

Kersara, “Don't argue with me and get your buts moving!” As she spoke Kersara was already pushing her way through the kobolds. She could already tell where another group of resistance was by the flow of the kobolds. Wherever they surged most violently there was something to kill.

***************************************************************************************************

Kelah didn't know what to think of the sight before her.  It was a sight of utter horror and carnage. Limbs lay about the beach with the sand having already been bleached red. Horrific screams could be heard resounding throughout the area as the water kobolds fail and the stench of death filled the air even more so then normal. She was only snapped back to her regular mind set whenever a hand came to rest upon her shoulder.

Dinon, “Kelah we really need to get somewhere were we won't be seen and then move away from here. There is nothing that we can do to help in this situation and honestly I wouldn't want to try.”

To this Kelah gave a nod and began to move back though she didn't risk turning her gaze from the sight before her. A creature that was more then a little strange even to Kelah currently stood on the beach hissing and lashing out at the kobolds. A description of the creature might have been a two headed dragon if it wasn't for the rather unique state of its tail. The tail was apparently tipped with a very nasty claw and a spine that could be seen from time to time. When a kobold would draw close enough the creature would either impale the kobold or grasp it with the claw and then impale it before tossing it aside. Kelah assumed there was some type of injection involved but she had no idea what type.

The sun glistened off the creature's scales which apparently had no trouble deflecting the attacks of the water kobolds be they magic or physical. What truly made the creature deadly though was its two heads. While Kelah couldn't be certain it appeared that whatever one head saw so did the other and this was used to give it a superb view of the battlefield. “Dinon what is that thing?”

Dinon, “Apparently angry at the kobolds for some reason. Do you need to know more?”

For a moment Kelah was silent but continued on as she continued to listen to the creature unleashing its rage on the kobolds. “For now that's enough. I swear this forest is full of unique creatures isn't it?”

Dinon, “Yes and that one is very angry with the kobolds for some reason. I wonder if that title wave brought on similar responses from other creatures.”

***************************************************************************************************

While Kelah had been admiring the wyvern creature Kersara found herself in a unique situation as well. Wolves had actually made their way onto the beach and proceeded to join the battle.  What surprised her though was the size and speed of the wolves that had began fighting. They were of no real concern to a sister but the way they torn into the kobolds was horrific. Whenever one of the kobolds was caught within the jaws of one of the massive wolves a horrific cracking could be heard followed by a torrent of blood. Compounding her astonishment was the way the wolves moved about. At no point did Kersara see one of the wolves open to attack. Rather while any one wolf was vulnerable they always seem to be guarded by the others of their pack.

“Could we get some help please?”

As the unfamiliar voice reached her ears Kersara shifted her gaze from the wolves to find two orcs hunkered down behind a mound of earth. It was another strange moment. The works were so close to the wolves that there was no way that they couldn't have noticed them. As Kersara began to make her way over to them she felt her heart speed up as a scent hit her nose and she recognized the sent of a sisters blood.

Kersara, “Jiana! What happened here?”

No answer came from the sister except a low groan. One of the orcs did answer though.

Xania, “She shielded us from the wave whenever she saw it coming we were too close to the water to run. She took the worst of it and even had the strength to keep us from being pulled out to the sea whenever the water retreated. We were trying to get her further inland when we were swarmed.”

No immediate response came from Kersara as she looked her sister over. She could hear her sister's heart beat and even smell the chemical changes going on inside of her body as she responded to the damage. “She'll live but we need to get her to a safer location. How did you keep the kobolds back?”

Xania, “We didn't the wolves did. We were surrounded I honestly thought we'd all be killed but then the wolves showed up and well this began.”

Kersara didn't say nothing at first but lifted her sister up. “Great. I already lost my ability to eat tuskers and now I'm going to lose my ability to eat wolves to. Let's get my sister and you two to safety then we'll decide on our next move.”

***************************************************************************************************

Both orcs and sisters had come to the beach acting under the assumption that they alone would be defending their forest. As Kersara listened to the forest around them though she had began to question that belief. It had taken a while to respond but slowly a roar had began to grow within the forest and move through it. While the beach had only been kobold, sister and orc before hand they were now being joined by other creatures. Creatures she recognized though rarely seen. Creatures who normally avoided the sisters and some who didn't do so quite so often. What truly surprised Kersara though was how coordinated the creatures were being in their attacks particularly the wolves.

Kersara, “Kelah are these wolves your doing?”

Kelah, “No, Nightfang never gave me permission to command the wolves of the forest and I didn't even know ones like this existed! What are some of these things?”

Kersara, “They're creatures who have eaten, responded to and survived some of the more powerful alchemical plants of this forest or those that descend from them. I mean this place is loaded with powerful plants they're going to cause some interesting results from time to time. What I want to know is if after they're done with the kobolds they're going to start attacking us.”

Lanod, “The spirits of the wind tell me that they're not our enemies. Look at this though. These strange alien creatures have arrived upon the beaches and suddenly destruction struck the forest. Numerous nests and young have been lost in that title wave and not just our own. Is it any wonder that the more powerful of the forest denizens have become angry?”

Kersara, “I understand that but how do you know they won't move against us?”

Lanod, “These are those creatures smart enough and powerful enough to avoid your claws and our hunting parties. I would not underestimate their intelligence. That said I'm also not going within striking distance of any of them except for perhaps the wolves and that will only be with lady Kelah.”

Nothing came from Kersara for a moment as she looked around. “I want every sister who's still strong enough to fight to come with me we're going to return to the beach. Kelah could I please have three of your shamans to join us as well? We'll do everything within our power to insure you don't lose anymore orcs.”

Kelah, “Sure, Dinon, Lanod you're both coming with me.”

Kersara, “What? I only need three shaman's Kelah I don't want to take you away from your people.”

Kelah, “I heard you the first time and I am a shaman. Besides I want to observe these wolves you and Xania mentioned. It's funny though isn't it? The kobolds hurt the forest so badly that it's risen up in defense of itself.”

Kersara, “I know! I can't wait to tell my sisters about this when I return home. Would you believe I've thinking of swearing off eating wolves?”

Kelah, “Um why?”

Kersara, “Huh? What do you mean why? They're helping us!”

Kelah, “Kersara you've got a lot to learn about wolves and survival of the fittest. Tell you what  avoid eating the powerful intelligent wolves and don't think too much about the weaklings. That should make Nightfang happy.”

Kersara, “Does that mean he gets upset whenever you spare the scrawny weakling out of pity?”

Kelah, “If that means you kill a stronger wolf instead then yes. Please do not weaken the wolves heritage with your miss guided pity.”

Kersara, “We'll, I'll try to keep that in mind while out hunting.”

***************************************************************************************************

Flora, “Greetings chief Linod I am Flora a keeper of the Luvarian's and we're here to help transport you and your shaman.”

Linod, “It's good to see you. Me and my shaman are already prepared though might I inquire as how you intend to transport us?”

Flora, “Well I imagine you know we already intend to carry you but hopefully you can endure a cradle hold. This makes it easier for us to shield you while moving and given our relative scale it only requires one arm.”

A slight chuckle escaped  Linod as he gave a nod. “How strange that will be. Please let us be quick about this though. I can sense that the battle has already began both in the physical world and the spiritual.  Your fellows have already began a rather difficult battle.”

Flora “Well I can't say that I expected them to wait for us. Let's get moving.”

As Flora picked him up Linod couldn't remember the last time someone had carried him. He had ridden a few times in the past though the forest didn't lend itself well to such travel but that wasn't being carried at least not like this. He was nearly engulfed completely by Flora's presence and he wondered if she even realized what she had done when hew as tucked against her massive form. Her breasts actually created a slight but very pleasant pressure on his body and the old orc felt rather out of place.

***************************************************************************************************

Cullen, “Well it seems to have slowed down at least.”

No one commented as they looked at the landscape before them. The ground shifted and moved as a fluid except in certain locations where shards of earth would suddenly raise up as if attempting to strike at them. The brothers had repositioned themselves falling back from their original lines but this posed a problem. Ones location in the physical world influences where you arrived or departed in the shadow. As their position had changed there allies might have trouble finding them.

Nathan, “We have a situation here. It's possible that Zarena has seen our location and will account for that when our allies arrive. It is also possible that our allies upon their arrival will first locate us and then move to join us. However, it is also possible that they will assume that our area of entry has been secured and seek to enter there as well. The amalgam will be waiting for them there and they won't survive the entry.”

Cater, “I don't believe we have the power to take back that spot though. At least not just yet. Perhaps our sisters will succeed in weakening the enemy enough that we can?”

Nathan, “Perhaps they will. How much longer until the orcs arrive though as well as our other sisters?”

Cullen, “I don't know. I'm not even sure how long we've been here.”

Nathan, “Neither am I. So what should we do? Hope that they will notice our departure or seek to secure our entry point?”

Carter, “How about instead of securing the entry point or hoping that they notice our departure we make it extremely obvious?  Surely they'll notice the turmoil the spirit realm is in. If we can draw enough attention to one location they should have no trouble realizing what happened.”

Nathan, “Now that is a plan Carter. So how would you say we should go about drawing that attention?”

Carter, “I suggest we attempt to break the hold the Amgalm has on the spirit realm. At least as much of its hold as we can.”

Nathan, “That would probably draw extra attention to us. Then do you have a plan of attack that you would suggest?”

Carter, “Given what we know about this Amalgam I believe that we should focus on cleansing the land with fire. We could try breaking up the enchantment that it placed on the region but I don't believe that would be the most effective means. From what I can tell this spirit is actually opposed to the influence of fire. Especially after what happened whenever Mirin burned all those trees.”

***************************************************************************************************

Nadia, “Okay Joseph are you ready with that relaxation spell?”

Joseph, “Yeah though it feels a little strange to be using a spell like this. It's normally used to return muscle use to those who've been influenced by magic or been exposed to certain poisons.”

Nadia, “Well it'll work just fine for our purposes. Now why don't you bring some of those kobolds down.”

Another nod came from Joseph as he opened up the mystic word and immediately felt the book take hold of him. He could feel the drain the book put on his spirit but also the power flowing from the book. He knew what spells the book had to offer as he interacted with it and extended his free hand towards the mass of kobolds that flew above them. The hand that held the word was made to warm up and then that warmth rushed down his arm, through his chest and into his free arm finally building up within his finger tips and radiating outward. The feeling was actually quite pleasant as he watched what appeared to be a blue aura rush towards the kobolds in the sky. Immediately he noticed them creating a defense.

While none of the kobolds knew exactly what attack had been used they responded. Nadia wasn't surprised to notice the winds around the kobolds becoming violent almost instantly as if to repel an attack. She was certain that wind had been charged with magic to protect them from hostile magic yet as Joseph's spell met the barrier she turned her attention towards Joseph. “Cast it again quickly before they realize what's going on.”

It had been Joseph's intention to wait and see how the kobolds would respond if they would realize what was going on and adjust. Nadia didn't give him time to do that so that he found himself building up energy once again. The air was filled with violent screams though which turned his attention towards the sky. Fortunately the word did the majority of the casting for him so that the magic wasn't disrupted even as he looked to see the kobolds falling from the sky. He could tell Nadia was pleased with the results as she looked towards them and he released another wave of magic.

The kobolds had anticipated hostile magic and Nadia had anticipated that however healing magic could be dangerous in the right situation. Nadia had Joseph cast a spell meant to remove paralyzing affects on people in order to relax the muscles of the kobolds. Relaxed muscles didn't work as well as tensed muscles for flying though and the kobolds couldn't beat their wings hard enough to sustain their lift. The end result was that while the magic wasn't hostile in nature they were sent falling towards the ground. A few kobolds were strong enough to resist the influence of the spell and retain their altitude though and Nadia knew they would inform the others as to what was going on.

Joseph didn't need prompting from Nadia to cast the third spell. As he was beginning to build the energy though there was a sudden rush of movement and he found his view of the enemy blocked. A bright flash of light could be seen just beyond the massive figure before him and he found himself looking up into Nadia's smiling face.

Nadia, “They're trying to hit you with lightning.”

Joseph, “I. I um see.”

Nadia, “Now it's time to cast that defensive spell I mentioned to you and remember. You want something that has substance even without magic so I recommend an earth barrier. Make sure that the barrier can move with you however at least for the time being.” There was no move on Nadia's part to move away from Joseph. As she shielded him though she eyes shifted a bit. “Cast your spell to your right and then begin casting a barrier spell.”

Having spoken to Nadia about her mutation and seen the results Joseph did as he was told. Upon releasing the magic he wasn't surprised to see that there were several kobolds already moving towards Nadia's side apparently in an attempt to get around her. The display only hurried him to create the barrier that Nadia had told him to forge. There was a problem however.

Joseph, “Nadia this word doesn't have any protective spells that fit what you asked for. All the physical ones that offer protection from things such are lightning are stationary or very slow moving.”

Nadia, “I see then we will have to make some adjustments.” Joseph had a little trouble retaining his focus whenever Nadia picked him up and he found himself pressed against her just underneath her breasts. The fact that she was using her chest to provide him with extra shelter while keeping an arm free wasn't lost on Joseph and he felt somewhat awkward. As he was pressed to Nadia though he was surprised by how little difference it made in his ability to use the word to control magic. His experiments with Maria came to mind and he wondered if the size of the sister influenced how much they altered the flow of magic.

Nadia, “ Okay Joseph listen. They will first assume you're using some high level form of necromancy to reach beyond the barrier and deal damage that goes beyond physical bounds. They'll strengthen the barrier they're using to protect themselves so that it will stop necromancy and you'll continue casting and it'll continue working for the time being. Soon they as realize that you're not using necromancy but life magic itself and they'll respond to that by adjusting the barrier so that it halts life magic as well making it impossible for them to use life magic to renew their strength in flight. Ready yourself.”

Once again Joseph gave a nod and took a moment to adjust himself so that he could still hold the word comfortably and work his free arm. “Okay Nadia I'm ready.”

Nadia, “Follow the line my finger makes and cast the spell whenever I say now.” As she spoke Nadia was busy gathering information about the kobolds. From the front it seemed like the center held the majority of the kobolds but that wasn't true. Her ears told her that the group of kobolds to the right was the most densely packed as did her nose. “Now.”

There was no hesitation on Joseph's part. Once Nadia pointed her finger he released the energy in the direction her finger indicated and then felt her fingers close in around  him once again. Nadia's ring finger and pinky were currently just underneath Joseph's bottom while her middle finger was used to steady his position. The way her index finger wrapped around him his entire stomach and most of his chest was covered. The fact that she could adjust her fingers with such precision was actually rather impressive was far as Joseph was concerned as was the rate at which her thumb and index finger wrapped around him to provide extra cover as Nadia pulled him back towards her body before he could see what was happening.

With Joseph once again pressed against her body Nadia quickly shifted her position to avoid a storm of fire the kobolds sent towards her. She had made a mistake whenever planning their battle and assumed the word allowed Joseph to be more of a mage then it truly permitted. The fact that it lacked a strong high mobility physical barrier was something of a complication. The kobolds had by now recognized that she was shielding Joseph and would soon realize whenever she was going to allow them to cast a spell. Fortunately she knew that she wasn't alone on the battle field as she listened to her sister's moving about. She would have to wait until they were ready though.  The feeling of some wind moving across her nose brought Nadia's mind in another direction though as she wondered what her brothers were up to.

***************************************************************************************************
A few minutes earlier.

Those brothers who had joined in on the assault against the amalgam were amongst the most battle capable of the brothers. That didn't mean they were the only ones who could handle powerful spells however and indeed they were plenty of brothers who were perhaps lacking in their combative ability but could handle casting extremely powerful spells that required time to channel. Mirin had realized this nearly the moment he'd seen which brothers had remained behind though he hadn't been the one to come up with their current battle plan. That credit belong to Reynold.

Reynold, “Mirin are you sure you're going to be able to handle this. Burned hands make for poor focuses.”

Mirin, “Fortunately I don't have to channel through my hands for this to work. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find many ziron crystals that are of much use to us. The majority I've found here are of the slow release nature or don't have that much energy. I suppose that shouldn't be surprising considering how quickly we've been using up other types.”

Reynold, “That should still be fine. We're done with the inscriptions already.” As he spoke Reynold and several other brothers gathered up some rather thick parchments and moved to the a clearing they'd made in the room. They then began to lay them out revealing a mystic glyph that grew all the more complex as the parchments were combined.

For a moment Mirin was silent as he tried to listen for the battle going on outside. Nothing reached his years threw the heavy stone roof or walls though. He wondered if the kobolds even stood a chance of breaking into the structure. He had studied the corpse of the new kobold type that had shown up but he hadn't seen their abilities with his own eyes. “I wonder if we're going to have to deal with the kobolds after this war is over. I don't mean the old ones I mean this new type that has arisen. It is possible that our enemy has left us with a curse that we will not be able to remove.”

Reynold, “Now you're just being depressing.”

***************************************************************************************************

It was clear why she had been given the ax now that Mina was fighting the kobolds. As she spun the massive weapon building up energy within the blade she could hear the wind beginning to sing. Once the singing had grown strong enough Mina quickly slashed the weapon towards the enemy sending a wind blade rushing through the air towards the kobolds. There was some variability to it though. At times the blade moved more quickly while at other times the blade was larger. It was a feature of the weapon that Mina wished that she had practiced with more. She was also grateful for the fact that it made protecting Dan far simpler then it would have been otherwise as the weapon extended her reach and thus the area she could comfortably cover.

Dan for his part had adopted a strategy similar to Joseph's but it had been disrupted sooner. He had been causing slight shifts in the air stream just below the kobolds so that it no longer provided enough lift and threw them into chaos. The creatures had realized that he was manipulating the heat of the air to do this though and quickly adapted so that it no longer had any affect. He had attempted to send some of them falling from the air by sending shards of ice or stone at them but the creatures were too fast and adaptive for such a simple attack pattern which had left him pondering what he should do in order to remove them.

Dan, “Mina any ideas?”

Mina, “Why don't you see if there is a way for that book to enhance my attacks?”

Instead of commenting Dan looked too the book which began to rapidly flip through its own pages. As he was watching the book though he felt a rush of heat and looked up to find Mina blocking what he assumed to be a fire attack. She showed absolutely no indication of binding or pain. “You know eventually they're going to get the idea that no one of their attacks can hurt you and try for something really big.”

Mina, “Dan have you even been watching the battle? That was three shaman working together.”

A slight chuckle escaped Dan as he heard the confidence in Mina's voice. “That's my big strong nearly invulnerable girl. Okay the book has something for me. Are you ready?”

Mina, “Yeah.” As she spoke Mina looked towards the blade of the weapon and noticed it begin to glow slightly soon after she noticed some slight vibrations in the weapon.” “Dan what is that spell doing?”

Dan, “It's a spell that alters the influence of mechanical forces on a weapon like the wind and enhances them in order to grant the weapon additional speed and power.”

As Dan was speaking Mina reached out and took hold of his waste the sturdiest part of his body she could get a good grip on before ripping him from the ground. As she moved Dan from the ground she could feel gravel and stone smacking her ankles as several jagged bits of earth shot forth from the ground. At the same time she pressed Dan against herself while she felt yet another attack against her back. She was made to regret her actions for a moment as she immediately realized how much she has compressed Dan's waste before he could even cry out in pain.

This was one of the few times Mina had hurt him quite so badly but it wasn't the first. Dan knew that his abdomen had been bruised terribly by her powerful grip but he reasonably certain nothing vital had been crushed. Binding certain ways was going to hurt like hell for a while unless he received some healing. He knew what he had to do before anything else though. “It's just bruises Mina you didn't break anything.”

Even in this situation Dan knew what to say to keep her thinking strait this was apparent to Mina. However, there was still a situation to handle as she began to run. The kobolds had realized that Dan was the only one how was able to attack them properly and now they were focusing their attacks on him. Mina could block in coming attacks from the sky. “Dan can you do anything to keep them from using the ground against you?”

Dan, “This word has a spell in it for ground anchor it will prevent them from using the ground I stand on against me or at least make it a lot tougher. It is stationary though.”

Mina, “At least I could put you down and rejoin the fight then. Okay Dan what do you need me to do?” As she was speaking Mina used her free arm and body to insure that none of the incoming attacks hurt Dan. If she could get to the kobolds she would do far worse then that. Her mind was distracted from these thoughts though as she felt a sudden temperature change had heard a strange whistling.

***************************************************************************************************

Linod took in a deep breath as he looked upon the battle field and watched the beasts making their way towards the mountain. The land itself rebelled against them and pushed them back. They seemed slowed by other factors as well as he noted how strange the battle sounded. “It seems that your companions couldn't wait to join the battle.”

Flora, “They have been known to do that. Do you know how things are going in the shadow realm?”

Linod, “The spirits here are quite upset and so is the energies of the shadow realm. I can see an eye in the storm though and I believe that is where your friends are to be found. Me and my orcs will be joining them.” As he had been speaking the orcs had been placed upon the ground and began to sprint towards the area of calm. The unbalance in the energies of the shadow realm told them that a battle had already began and given the power of their enemies there was no doubt in anyone's mind they needed to be there.

***************************************************************************************************

Entering into the shadow realm was a disruptive process to the point that those within the area and especially those attuned to the magics could feel the disruption. Nathan and the other brothers were thus quite aware that something was coming through as they felt the space near them begin to shift and quickly moved to make way. Despite having expected their allies arrival though there was a great sigh of relief whenever Linod and several other orc shamans appeared and began to look around. What they weren't prepared for was the suddenness of Linod actions.

The second Linod shifted into the shadow realm he knew what he needed to do. The old orcs right hand quickly thrust forward towards a near by ground of kobolds, his fist was made to fly open and with them so was the earth as several jagged rocks shot free from the ground and met with the kobold's chest. Harsh screams filled the air as the entire group was impaled and Linod looked at the brothers.

Nathan, “Linod I presume?”

Linod, “Indeed. I take it you are the leaders of the mages here.”

Nathan, “Yes and how did you do that?”

Linod, “The spirit of the earth wishes for the amalgam to be removed and was willing to offer us aid with but a request. She does not approve of the infection that had entered into her body. Let's not speak of such things now what is the plan?”

Nathan, “For the moment it was to hold our ground until you all arrived. We can't enter into the spirits domain with the way it's turning the earth against us.”

For a moment Linod said nothing but looked towards the tainted earth. He then removed his staff and began to walk towards the ground. “Please do not speak of the land as if she was your enemy. The spirit of the forest wishes this infection removed from her body as well. What you battle against is the infection.” As he spoke Linod slammed his staff into the boundary between the healthy forest and the tainted. Immediately he felt a massive drain on his energy as he channeled power into the forest itself so that the ground was made to hiss and bubble violently.

For a moment Nathan didn't know what to think. He had believed that they were doing a good job of breaking the Amalgam's hold on the land but despite all their efforts in but a moment Linod seemed to be rivaling their progress. Soon Linod was joined by other shaman who added their power to his and the ground began to churn even more violently admits the violence though Nathan could see grass and vines beginning to reach up through the soil some of the grass blackened the second it broke free while other patches of grass grew brown yet a few lived and no matter what where the grass broke free the ground calmed considerably. The sight was enough that Nathan had to ask. “What are you doing?”

Linod, “We are helping the forest to heal itself. This is however taxing.” Even as he was speaking Linod could feel the influence of the amalgam pushing back. He wasn't so much adding his power to that of the forest but rather directing the forest's natural healing energies to mend the damage done to it and remove the taint. The taint was powerful though and was already trying to resist the influence of the forest to purge it. This would only go so far and Linod knew it. In the end the original cause of that taint had to be removed.

Chapter 27 by happiest_in_shadows

When Linod finally halted his work Nathan spoke up again. “Well now what?”

Linod, “We have helped the land in its healing but this can only go so far. Let us move inward against the amalgam before it can sicken this land again. Be careful it may still strike against us.”

For a moment Nathan was still but then moved forward to take the lead. “That was impressive. We had resorted to fire to cleanse this land of the Amalgam's taint. The fact that you can direct the forest's natural energies to help heal the land directly is very useful.”

Linod, “You seem to often believe that you must do everything yourself however the forest wants to be healed as well. Don't forget that in this she is your ally.”

***************************************************************************************************

Maria wasn't certain of what she should be doing at the moment at least not entirely as she moved about the battlefield. She had trouble locating the kobolds. They seemed to be hiding within the mountain and relying upon the earth to do the fighting for them. As she completed another circle though something caught her eye. It was a strange alter of simple and rather gruesome make. While lacking in training as far as shamans went she was also fairly certain it was meant to aid the Amalgam. Even with her roll being only for observation she quickly chose a path of action and lashed out at the alter. The moment her claws met with the centerpiece of the alter she felt as if her fingers had been covered in a thick tar though the only thing that happened was the shattering of the centerpiece. The feeling actually prompted her to hasten her movement as she felt an energy building up within the area.

There was no great eruption of sludge or some horrific monster appear behind her though. As Maria moved beyond the alter she did feel a wave of sickness but that quickly passed and she risked looking back at the alter. The shattered centerpiece set there motionless the entire setting apparently unchanged at first. After a moments more observation however Maria noted how the stone seemed to darken and begin cracking. She heard a slight hissing which prompted her to move further away as whatever energies that were either within the alter or traveling through it seemed to respond to the damage.

It was in this moment that Maria finally got the response she was waiting for. She found herself moving again as the ground attempted to open up beneath her though far too slowly for her to fall into the opening. Even as her foot landed though she could feel the earth shifting beneath her feet as it tried to attack her. Whatever was directing the stone couldn't move it quickly enough to match Maria's speed though and before the ground could even begin to open up she was moving once again. This brought a smile to her face as she realized she had indeed angered something by destroying the alter. The thought of finding more entered her mind but the sound of movement told her that wouldn't be possible.

***************************************************************************************************

Qulex was one of the Amalgam's new breed and one of the earlier ones or at least relatively close to the new type of kobold. He had been made before the acquisition of the mage and thus was less refined then the current ones. During that time things had been very hit or miss in their development and few had been truly successful. The new ones seemed gifted with a strength beyond his as well an added benefit the mage had given them. However, he was older then the newer ones and had enough time to truly learn the ways of a shaman. That and his greater intelligence as compared to the other kobolds was of great benefit and put him above even those of the new breed though he wondered if he would lose that status with time. He would have to prove himself while he could so that he didn't run the risk of being cast aside like the others and on this day he intended to do so.

The kobold took a moment to glance to his sides and behind him. Some of the strongest kobolds stood amongst him. Those capable of becoming shaman and those of the new breed. They were all extremely intelligent especially amongst their own kind and unlike the typical kobolds did not rely upon swarm tactics to win. Now he raised his hand and brought the protective layer of stone that covered the entrance up. “Those who have wings take flight those who must stand enter the shadows and do battle. The giant must fall for us to stand remember she is but a creature of flesh needing to breath as much of any of us. Deprive her of that air, poison that air and she will fall we must remain standing though.”

With instructions from their leader the kobolds began to take flight. Qulex was one of the first to do so calling upon the wind to help push him into the air and make up for his limited wing span. Unlike the new breed his wings weren't sufficient to allow for flight without the aid of magic yet with his magic he was easily the most capable of them all in the air. A fact that he proved by allowing the new breed to take the lead before passing them all up as he left the opening and moved into the air out of the reach of the beasts and the restrictive barrier. Their enemies were more powerful then them on the earth but with their master's blessings the kobolds were no longer bound to the earth and that was something they intended on using.

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena had felt a surge of energy coming from the mountain and wished to intercept. However, the earth had prevented her from doing so and all she could do was roar in frustration as she saw the kobolds taking to the air. This encouraged her at the same time though as she was realized that the kobolds had now left the safety of their mountain. This either meant they had a trap of some type to make use of or they were becoming increasingly desperate. In either case that wold make them more dangerous and Zarena knew she had to protect her sisters. She was a bit surprised whenever she saw a blur rush towards the kobolds at which time several of them came crashing down from the sky. Memories of an exceptionally speedy sister crossed her mind as she realized who it was.

That had been frustrating. Maria had did what she could in order to take down as many kobolds before they could make their way out of the opening but she had her limits. They were too many to take down in a single wave and they were taking flight at an exceptional rate. She had valuable information though and began to make her way towards the one person who she felt would be able to find the alters. The ground still moved to stop her but by now it had only become a game to the exceptionally speedy sister as she easily adapted to the shifting ground while approaching Zarena. As she neared the sight of some blood on Zarena's ears presented a problem.

There was a great deal of happiness when Zarena saw Maria running towards her but as she saw her sister moving she realized Maria was speeding up apparently to run past her while at first it appeared Maria had something to tell her. The condition of her own ears brought Zarena to a sudden realization. She still couldn't speak with her sisters as she has burst her own eardrums. Whatever information Maria had she couldn't relay it to her and was most likely on her way to inform the others of what she'd found. It was  a moment of frustration for Zarena as it showed her exactly how much the enemy had handicapped her in this battle.

***************************************************************************************************

Flora took in a deep breath as she looked to the sky and the flying kobolds. Their brothers had entered into the shadow realm along with the orcs in order to confront them. The sisters for their part were far better conditioned for fighting on the ground then the sky and the enemy realized this. It posed a considerable problem and yet Flora was made to grin and became all the more grateful that she'd made it when she did. “Use the shapers!”

Every sister could recognize Flora's voice and they all responded. It was a strange moment as they took out the tiny weapons and placed the mystic elixir into them.  The use of ranged weapons was strange enough but this felt surreal yet the moment the formula went into the shaper they felt a slight rush of energy from the escaping mystic energy and then several grate waves of fire was sent rushing towards the kobolds escaping into the sky.

***************************************************************************************************

This was quite unexpected as Qulex took to the air the sight of several fireballs rushing towards him and the other kobolds was extremely unwelcome. He had already made it clear of the blast area as had the faster flying kobolds but the majority would most assuredly be caught up in those flames if nothing was done. Yet there was little that could be done as while the kobold shaman could have handled anyone of the flames the fact that upwards of fifty were now rushing towards them was not so easy to handle.

He was already well away from the attack so Qulex had nothing to fear about that. Losing so many of the new breed and the shaman could be an issue though. He had no means of stopping the attack entirely but the strongest would have already cleared the opening. The slowest and weakest would be the last ones out so the choice was simple for the kobold. There was hardly a moment between Qulex reaching his decision and a powerful downward gust of wind slamming into the wave of fire. He couldn't stop the flames but he could divert them downward into the weaker kobolds. That would leave the stronger ones to join the fight and while the loss was unpleasant it would be understandable. He was actually quite pleased with himself whenever he saw how sharply he'd caused the flames to be forced downward even as they began to poor into the opening engulfing the weaker of the shaman and the new breed. He wondered if any would survive.

***************************************************************************************************

Maria, “The kobolds have several alters set out over the mountain. I destroyed a few of them but I didn't have time for all of them. I have a feeling that if we take them out though it'll weaken the Amalgam. The problem is that as I was running the ground began to give me trouble so I don't know if there is anyone that can handle them other then me. Given what's going on though I don't know if I can get near them again either. With the first few destroyed I'm sure the Amalgam will be keeping an eye out for my return.”

Flora, “That is useful information How much energy does that creature have though? It's been keeping Zarena back as well as the rest of us by using the ground against us. Surely that is draining its energy reserves quite rapidly.” A sigh escaped Flora as she looked up towards the sky and watched as spells from the shapers met with the magic of the kobolds. They had already realized how limited the sisters were in their use of magical items and adapted their defenses to prevent the attacks. “We got off one good wave of attacks and they've already realized we're mostly relying upon fire spells.”

Maria, “At least they can't do much to us either.”

Flora, “Maria that's just not true. Look at the battlefield. I'm going to have to start recalling our sisters based on how rapidly they're slowing down. Can't you tell how the kobolds are influencing the air to drive us back?”

No answer came from Maria as she took in several breaths as she wondered what her mother was talking about. “I don't know what you're talking about mom. It seems like regular air to me and you're all so slow normally.”

A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she looked at her daughter. “You had to get in that slow comment. Perhaps because of your speed and your mutation the air isn't influencing you like the rest of us but it's slowing us down. The enemies plan is to keep us away from its heart until the lack of oxygen drives us back or to smother us. I can't risk that it plans to smother us and that this is yet another trap so I must pull back our sisters before the danger becomes too great.”

Maria, “Couldn't we recall some while the others continue to fight?”

Flora, “Indeed and that's what I want you to do. Maria go throughout the battlefield and help those sisters who have been weakened the most to make it out of the affected area. They can resume the fight once they've recovered their strength.”

Maria, “What about the alters?”

Flora, “I'm afraid those will have to wait. We still don't know how they intend to use those kobolds to tip the tide of battle in their favor and just as importantly we only can use the shapers so many times before we run out of ammo as it were. Once that happens and the kobolds can focus in the skies we may face a real problem.”

***************************************************************************************************

Whatever power had made these beast had made them sturdy in deed. A fact that wasn't lost on Qulex as he was joined by several of the other shaman who apparently looked to him for leadership. Direct attacks rarely seemed to have any real results and their speed was so exceptional that they were hard to land. He recalled what the largest of them had done whenever their master had first attacked her ears and as he watched the battlefield he knew what needed to be done. “We must stop them from communicating and planning their next step. If we can isolate them the master can pick them off one at a time and this battle will be ours. Attack their ears with the wind force them to do as the large one did so that they can no longer communicate.”

With Qulex's orders given the kobolds began to respond. They  broke off in groups of three to five based on the power of the individual members and began to spread out. As they moved the strongest of each group began to gather the wind while others began to gather their power in order to aid them. They had to attack the ears of the beasts in order to force them to destroy them or suffer the pain. How many would destroy them in desperation was unknown but the plan had merit. As they were moving several began to target those sisters who had clearly been instructing the others or stopped to speak with one another. Their efforts were hampered however by the fact that they were still waves of fire reaching up to meet them. A shudder was sent throughout all of them though as they felt a sudden shift in their master's power.

***************************************************************************************************

Being within the domain of a spirit one had a contract with granted certain advantages. When that domain was shifted or lost though these advantages were as well and the sudden shift could easily be felt. Linod was in an odd situation though. As one who had spoken with the spirit of the forest herself and had a contract with her. The entire domain was hers yet at the same time it wasn't as he stepped onto the desecrated ground.  This was her sickened flesh and it had to be healed. He had began that healing and could feel the effects but it was draining and the illness was pushing back as was the kobolds. “Nathan I need the aid of your mages.”

Nathan, “What is it Linod?”

Linod, “I can feel where the poison is spreading from and it is indeed that mountain. That isn't the only location though. I can feel the sickness also spreading from the northeast and can only imagine what lies in that direction. Are your mages ready for battle?”

Nathan, “We wouldn't be here if we weren't. So let's go to the northeast.”

Linod, “Indeed however we won't be able to help you as we have here. The sickness is particularly strong there and that will diminish my abilities. Those gifts we retain from the natural world will be weakened as well. The Amalgam has done well to insure that its fangs are well protected.”

Nathan, “Thanks for the information. Carter are you strong enough to lead?”

Up until this point Carter had been expecting Nathan to lead the charge. Upon hearing his name though he was made to jump a bit. “Me?”

Nathan, “Yeah I could use some time to regain some of my strength. You'll need to do what you can to keep the earth calm while we make our way to our destination and it will be draining even with the help Linod gave us. But we need to get over there.”

Carter, “I'll do my best Nathan.” As he spoke Carter locked his hands together and began to focus his energy on the ground sending mystic tendrils into the earth beneath their feet anchoring it in place. As he did so he could feel the Amalgam trying to push the ground up in opposition to them. Fortunately the healing that Linod had introduced did much to weaken the Amalgam's grasp on the land.

Nathan, “Let's move.” As he spoke Nathan broke into a light sprint with Carter moving as quickly as he could while retaining the spell. “Linod what can you tell us about what we're running towards?”

Linod, “It's most likely a servant of the Amalgam perhaps even one that has been given a piece of the creature itself. It's poisoning the land in some regards planting seeds in other regards. As these seeds sprout though the forest is further sickened while the Amalgam can feed on the harvest.”

Nathan, “Linod I've been wanting to ask. How are our sisters doing or were they doing whenever you entered here?”

Linod, “They're fighting within a trap.”

Nathan, “What!”

Linod, “The Amalgam has used its capacity to influence the earth to remove much of the oxygen from this region yet your sisters continue to push forward.”

***************************************************************************************************

Nadia, “Well that is a bit more impressive then expected.” As she spoke Nadia looked towards the skies as the kobolds struggled to remain aloft. Many of them were failing as they struggled to adapt to the violent and freezing winds that had suddenly appeared overhead. There was no doubt in her mind that the violent storm which was forming was the work of their brothers inside of the library. It was also very apparent where the strongest of the kobold shamans were as these remained the calmest sections of sky within the mystic storm. “Joseph I want you to prepare your heaviest hitting attacks and aim for where I point.”

Joseph, “What do you mean heaviest hitting?”

Nadia, “Whatever spell that you have which is meant to do the most damage. Provided that spell isn't fire based I can see where we need to take down our enemies now.”

Joseph, “I have a few spell but they're short range I don't believe they can reach as high as we need.”

Nadia, “Drat. Very well find the hardest hitting long range spells you have and tell me what the top three of them are.”

For a moment Joseph went silent and focused his mind on the book. It didn't take the word  long to sort through what he was looking for. “There is a note worthy lightning spell in here, mystic arrows and a shock wave.”

Nadia, “By shock wave you mean an explosion don't you.”

Joseph, “Yeah. It's designed to be cast far away from the caster though. Anything short of thirty meters away and it could easily end up killing the caster as well. I can already feel the drain this spell would put me though. I don't know how many I could cast before I was tapped out.”

Nadia, “I see. Given the number of our enemies do you believe that you could cast it five times?”

At first Joseph said nothing. If he was fully rested he felt that he could probably cast the spell five times but at this moment he wasn't sure. The spells Nadia had him using were having a great impact for the amount of energy they required but nothing like this spell. He felt confident that he could cast two of them but even a third was in question and Nadia was asking him for five. Given the drain he felt like he may very well black out after casting or attempting to cast the forth spell and it was quite possible that it wouldn't even succeed.

Nadia, “You're not confident in the least that you could cast that spell five times. The lightning is out of the question they're using too much wind magic right now that would be playing into their strength. The arrows I don't have confidence in. Joseph I've picked the most important targets I can locate and I want you to cast your shock wave spell as often as you can at full power. Do you understand me?”

Joseph, “Even if it means blacking out?”

Nadia, “Yes. If you pass out I'll put you somewhere safe so you don't have to worry about that. Now are you ready to cast the spell?”

It was impossible for Joseph not to delay. Forcing a spell like this was hardly a pleasant experience. The sudden rush and feeling of power when the spell was actually cast was wonderful but after words the collapse could be very unpleasant. This was what Nadia wanted from him though and she had been right about their battle plan so far. “Alright Nadia. I'll cast the spell as many times as I can.”

Nadia, “That's good.” As she finished speaking Nadia turned her eyes toward her first target and moved her hand to show Joseph where she wanted it cast. “There.”

Nearly the moment the word there hit his ears Joseph felt a horrific drain on his being followed by a sudden rush of heat  that made his hairs stand on end with excitement. The powerful ripple that shot forth from his hand almost left him trembling as the power surged through him yet the cost of casting such a spell slammed into him even before the actual blast had occurred.

Despite Joseph's diminished energy the influence was immediate. The kobolds were so focused on resisting the winds that they didn't notice the spear of energy as it rushed towards them. Once the magic had reached it's destination a massive shock wave had been released ripping those closest to bits while sending several kobolds falling towards the ground. Nadia risked a grin as she watched the creatures falling feeling confident that Joseph had just taken one of the stronger group of kobolds out of the battle. As they were falling she also noticed the wind becoming more violent. If the winds had become more violent due to the brothers putting more energy into it or if it had been the loss of those kobolds she didn't know. Perhaps it was both and bringing more of them down would help further. “Are you ready for another one Joseph?”

While Joseph had been prepared for the drain the spell would put on him he wasn't quite prepared for how sore the attack was going to leave him. Despite that he found himself gathering his strength once again though he couldn't respond right away. “Give me a moment to catch my breath please.”

Nadia, “Sure but  don't take too long we don't know how long these winds will last.”

***************************************************************************************************

There was no way for Maria to know what was going on as she took hold of one of her sister's arms. She'd noticed her beginning to collapse and responded immediately by pulling her away from her current location before the sound had influenced her. Fortunately this attacks seemed to be localized and by constantly moving Maria could avoid their influence. Those sisters who were slower though or were somehow delayed didn't handle it so well though so Maria found herself taking them away from the battle. This situation posed another problem for those sisters though.

While moving seemed to let them avoid the attacks coming from the kobolds it was forcing them to expend more energy in an environment that was being depleted of oxygen. It was making it harder for them to fight and it would only get worse as time went on. Unfortunately there was no way that any of them could call the retreat. If they were to do so the Amalgam could focus entirely on the brothers in the shadow realm and that was a loss the sisters weren't willing to take. Fortunately Zarena seemed to still be retaining a good deal of the Amalgam's attention as she struggled to locate her enemies heart and rip it out.

Maria, “Rita are you alright?”

Rita, “My head felt like it was going to split in two for a moment there.”

Maria, “Rita I need to let you go and you need to get off the battlefield. They're other sisters I have to get back to. They're attacking our hearing.”

Rita, “Then go I'll be fine now I know what to do to keep that from happening again.”

Maria, “We can't just start making ourselves depth we won't be able to communicate!”

Rita, “Then quit trying to help them by shouting into my ear. I'm not going to hurt my ear drums I'm just going to block my ears a bit and keep them covered so that the sound doesn't hurt as much.”

It was an odd moment for Maria as she suddenly felt very stupid. “What are you going to use to cover your ears?”

Rita, “This.” As she spoke Rita cut out a section of the pouch which she'd been using to carry the shaper and bottles inside of it. Having used up most of her bottles there was a good amount of material available for use. She then folded the material stuffed it into each ear and then laid her ears flat against her head.

Maria's eyes opened wide for a moment as she looked down at her own pack. The brothers had apparently given them more resources them they had realized. “Rita that's brilliant I'm going to go help the others right now.”

Rita, “What? You'll have to speak up.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she released her hold on Rita and dashed off towards her other sisters. She'd already cut away a section of her own pack in case they didn't have any materials to spare or a pouch. Given how many of the sisters had been using their shapers though she felt confident there would be material to spare.

***************************************************************************************************

Pirax hadn't expected anyone to make it within his domain so soon yet now he found himself confronted by several shaman all of them quite hostile. The hostile part wasn't such a concern though as was how much power he felt from them the fact that they had brought mages didn't make the situation any better. “Well I must say I did not expect to have company this day. I take it you  fellows have a disagreement with my master.”

Up until this point Nathan had an idea what to expect from the Amalgam but as he looked at Pirax he didn't know what to think. The spirit was extremely composed especially for one that would serve the Amalgam. Though composed didn't exactly meant pleasant to look upon. The creature that stood before them took on the form of a massive spider very similar to the natural creatures though sporting more legs then a natural spider would have and several spines. It's two front legs also seemed to be more kin to pincers then what a spider should have. The creature also chose to speak to them.

Nathan, “Linod what does your experience with the spirits of spiders tell you to do in this situation?”

Linod, “Use a lot of fire and lightning.” The moment the words left his lips Linod fingers were engulfed in electrical energy as he began to draw in energy. This spider was no slouch though as soon as the shaman began to gather lightning Pirax released a stream of venom in his direction. There was no need for anyone to shield Linod though. The old shaman had mastered moving and using his gifts long ago so that sprinting away from the toxin posed little problem.

The other shaman had responded nearly as quickly as Linod so that while he moved away from the attack they'd already released their own sending storms of broken earth and flame towards Pirax. There was no shock from the shaman however as their attacks were stopped within the air as the spiders web was revealed catching the solid projectiles and directing the energy into the earth beneath the spider. The creature was truly well intrenched.

Pirax, “You believe you can challenge me within my domain?”

Nathan, “Yes.” Nathan didn't give Pirax time to turn in his direction but released a massive attack of his own. Having seen what the spider's web did to the shamanistic abilities he chose another path. Nathan reached out and gripped the spiders surroundings much as if he was preparing to cast a fire spell. No flames came from him though as he began to pull in the warmth from within the webbing. Several beads of light could be seen along the webbing moments later which would have been quite lovely if it wasn't for the creature that stood amongst them and the situation.

A sharp laugh escaped Pirax as he realized what the mage had tried to do. This laughter was short lived though as a sudden wave of pain struck him as electrical energy was made to surge throughout his body. Linod had seen where the webbing rested and responded accordingly to send his lightning around the web and directly into the spider. The creature let lose a scream of protest and began to adjust his legs pulling on the webbing in the same moment to block Linod's attack but in the same instance making additional openings. Just as he halted Linod's attack  new ones joined his from the other shaman.

Apparently shamanistic training offered more advantages then Nathan believed. The degree to which Linod was able to bend and move his lightning was remarkable even to Nathan. While he had most assuredly produced more powerful attacks within his time this was the first time he'd seen one controlled with such precession and that was what Linod had used to strike the spider. “Let's not let the orcs do all the work brothers. How are you doing Carter?”

Carter, “Really struggling here the Amalgam's grip is strong here and it's pushing even harder to turn the earth against us.”

Nathan, “Let us know if you're yielding and we'll lend you some of our strength. Until then.” Once again Nathan moved to attack the spider while it was occupied. He had no intention of making another direct attack though. His plans to attack were interrupted however as Pirax shifted his legs once again this time causing some of the webbing to actually break free and lash out towards Nathan. This time it was Nathan's turn to be proud of his defenses as his wind barrier met the webbing and shifted their direction just enough to cause the webs to meet with the ground. Apparently the spider didn't like this and Nathan had no intention of letting him off with the attack. The second the strands of web met with the ground Nathan released a very rapid blast of frost enveloping a good portion of the strands and binding them to the ground.

***************************************************************************************************

The Amalgam was becoming desperate as the fight went on and Alex could feel it. As the Amalgam's fear for its survival increased though so did his fear for his own both due to the connection and due to his own nature. Currently he found himself focusing trying to think of what they could do to change the situation. The answer came to him moments later. “We could try a summoning.”

There was no need for the Amalgam to question Alex as to what he intended to do. He planned on summing a powerful being to aid them in this battle. His memories included times during which mages had summoned powerful elementals to help them in times of war and worse. Immediately the Amalgam put down the plan as it reminded Alex of Zarena and the energy needed for such spells. There was no true chance that they could find, make a deal with and summon an elemental powerful enough to fight Zarena in time and the cost would be far beyond what could be paid. The Amalgam had to work hard to keep thoughts of escape from entering into Alex's mind without revealing the reason why. Unlike Alex the Amalgam wasn't so free to move around.

Alex, “What about the attack upon their ears is it going as expected?” The answer came to Alex in the form of a vision as he saw through the eyes of the kobolds as the sisters worked to protect their ears instead of damaging them. Without a doubt this limited their ability to communicate but it was no where near what they had been hoping for and their attempts to deprive them of oxygen was only slowing them down apparently. “The humans who entered the shadow realm if we were to devote all of our energy to that then we could capture them and use them as hostages against the females.”

Once again Alex was met with bad news and some pain. The shaman who had joined with the humans in the shadow realm had given them the strength to push inward even further then their sisters had. They were losing the battle in the shadow realm even as the spoke.  “Have the other generals join Pirax! Surely they're combined power would be enough to kill them quickly!”

Amalgam, “That would force them beyond their domain and they would fall quickly you fool! The only reason Pirax can stand as he has been is due to his webbing. If he were to retreat from that he would be killed almost immediately and so goes for any that would join him. They are only powerful within their domain that is why they serve me!”

Alex, “Was the guardian the only powerful spirit with any mobility!”

Amalgam, “Yes! That is why I risked so much to obtain her and she was lost!”

Alex, “What about other spirits? There is the dragon still the one who controls the skies of the shadow realm. It has no ties to the spirit of the forest at least not like any of the other great spirits do. Surely it would consent to join us.”

Rejection was the first thought on the Amalgam's mind but that thought was stopped as it realized the truth of the situation. “She may refuse to ally with us and might turn against us instead. Her pride makes her a difficult ally and the price for her aid would be great.”

Alex, “Do we have any other choice?”

Amalgam, “You have a point human.”

***************************************************************************************************

Tazona had been watching the battle with the Amalgam for some time with moderate interest. With the proper application of flames for the sake of purification she might get to enjoy a meal once the Amalgam had fallen. A meal that she would welcome. If the Amalgam won however perhaps she could look forward to making a meal of the humans and orcs flesh that had entered into the shadow realm and perhaps some sacrifices. It looked to be a win win situation for. She knew that her proximity might draw some attention however and she wasn't surprised whenever she noted a kobold shaman trying to get in touch with her. “What do you want?”

Qulex, “Great spirit I come to you on behalf of my master to ask your aid during this dire time.”

Tazona, “No.”

Qulex, “Great spirit why do you dismiss me before you have even heard my offer? Should you aid us now the master would be willing to compensate you generously.”

Tazona, “If I aid you now how long until your master attempts to bind me to her service? This generous offer you speak of carries with it a taint that I won't suffer.”

Qulex, “Are you bound to this forest spirit? You own the skies and can move on. Why not accept my master's give and move to better feeding grounds? Was it not the very beings of this forest who destroyed your living flesh.”

A slight chuckle went throughout Tazona though she didn't let it be heard. Memories of her past hiding in the cave as one of the weakest spirits of the forest and the great dragon's arrival still remained. She had feared for her being in that moment knowing the mystic nature of dragons and what its arrival may mean for her. Then she had made war with the beasts of the forest and been killed. To reveal that much of her past would be a mistake though it was better to let this kobold assume and not know that she had not always been an aspect of the dragon. “Leave my home? Perhaps I should turn my power against your master if you plan to drive me from here. Such actions might even gain me favor with the other mighty ones.”

Qulex, “Please reconsider. You may have your own domain within this forest if you so desire and the lives of three hundred of my brethren if you wish. They would come to you willingly to nourish your power. Surely you have no better offer then this. All we ask is you aid us.”

The kobold's offer was tempting Tazona felt that for certain. Three hundred living creatures offered to her as proper sacrifices would be empowering. However, the Amalgam would be all the more powerful and that was not something that she could tolerate. What good was being mighty whenever you were the weakest of only two by far? It would be foolish not to try to gain something from this meeting though. “I will not aid you in battle and now I require something from you. I will be gifted my own domain within this forest should your master succeed regardless of me not giving my aid. If your master doesn't agree to my terms I will make war upon you now.”

He had been sent to make an ally. As Qulex listened to the dragon spirit though he was certain that he had made an enemy instead. His master would not be pleased by this. “Great spirit you would have us make such a contract with you for nothing?”

Tazona, “Of course not. You will make this deal with me for protection from my wrath. Unlike your master I did not wish to see this forest changed.”

Qulex, “Very well spirit if that is how you desire it then you leave me no choice.” With those words Qulex retrieved a bone from a small pouch he had on his side and held it up before Tazona. Tendrils of dark energy were made to reach out and rush towards the draogn as he held a fragment of one of the dragon's original bones in his hand. He would use this as a conduit to infect the great creature and bind it to his will. Once the battle was over then they would feed the dragon to their master and watch her grow all the stronger.

One of the dragon's original bones was not what Tazona had been expecting neither had she anticipated such a powerful spell from the kobold. However, once again he assumed in folly thinking that she was the ancient dragon. Far from it though. She was the one who had quietly feasted on the dragon's fear, rage and powerful life energies whenever it had been confronted by several of the beasts and fallen. The energies the kobold directed towards her was met with the roar of flame and as the two powers met with one another the kobolds was made to yield.

There was hardly time to act. As the fire approached him Qulex knew he didn't have time to move but quickly forged a shield around himself directing the flames around him. Even with the barrier he could feel the oppressive heat. “Damn you creature!”

Now it was Tazona's turn to be truly agitated. As she was forced to relent from her attack she found the kobold remained though looking somewhat worse for the experience he was still alive and very active. “I see that bone grants you more protection then I believed.”

Qulex, “How do you resist this is a bone of your original flesh!”

Tazona felt no need to answer the kobolds question but did feel a pressing need to end him before he could think more on the subject. She wasted no time lashing out with her claws having seen that her flames weren't as effective as she desired. The kobold was better prepared for this though and darted away from her talons with a speed that she would not anticipated from such a shaman.

***************************************************************************************************

This had been a hard wait as Desmon resided outside of the brother's and spirits notice. However, it had been at the insistence of Nightfang who wanted to make sure the battle was truly underway before he joined in on it. It was the wolf's nature to want to see it's prey weakened as much as possible before it attacked but that didn't mean he approved. Now the great wolf seemed ready to move as he looked towards the battlefield. “Are you ready to join in?”

While Nightfang had told Desmon that he wanted to wait and watch in truth this wasn't the case. Nightfang hadn't joined because he lacked the ability to do so. Somehow the spirit had learned of one of his laws and used that to prevent him from entering her domain. One of those laws had been removed recently though and at last he could join them though in a limited way. Only a portion of the spirits realm was vulnerable to him at the moment. “Yes we will attack them in the east.”

Desmon, “What? Why don't we help the orc shaman and mage humans?”

Nightfang, “They have the enemies eyes turned elsewhere. It is time now to strike at their flank that is why. I should have no reason to explain this to you.”

Even before Desmon could respond Nightfang had began to move apparently to attack from the east as he planned. This was hard for Desmon to take as he looked to where he knew the brothers to be fighting against a powerful enemy within its domain. It was true that they seemed to have the upper hand but why not move in and deliver the killing strike? Sure attacking the spirit where it wasn't watching was a good move but so was finishing off one of its defenders. Both acts gave an advantage when dealing with the Amalgam itself the only difference was that the eastern guard would be at full strength while the ones the brothers had began fighting wouldn't be.

Nightfang, “Druid are you coming? Our deal requires that you aid in the battle as well.”

Desmon, “I'm coming.”

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena was having trouble with her ears. Sure cutting her ear drums made it so the sound couldn't harm her anymore but there was still her sisters to worry about. Hundreds of her much smaller sisters running into battle and while they were giving her plenty of room she still worried she might step on one of them without her ears to help her keep track of what was happening all around her. There was other concerns as well. She had lost sight of Nathan and the other brothers for a short while as she was being forced to evade the very ground beneath her feet. Now she had found them again and moved to help them out. Her claws became alight with energy as she prepared to plunge them into the spirit realm. The fact that they appeared to be fighting a giant spider actually made her lament that more of her couldn't enter into the spirit world or she would just crush the bug.

***************************************************************************************************

Pirax had been growing frustrated with the mages and the shaman. They were proving to be far more powerful then he would have preferred and while his web offered him much protection they were working on stripping that away from him. A sudden tensing that ran throughout his entire web followed by several snaps drew his attention away from them though as he fearfully wondered what had struck his web. Massive claws seemed to reside within open air having met with his webbing. How many strands had been broken he didn't know but he couldn't help himself as he realized the claws were withdrawing. “No!”

Linod had his chance to be surprised now as a massive chunk of the spider's web was torn away by claws that seemed to punch through the barrier between worlds itself. He was actually fairly certain that is what had happened as he noted the disruption. “Nathan was that one of yours?”

Nathan, “Yes that was Zarena it seems she found our location.”

Linod, “And she knows that we're not  kobolds right?”

Nathan, “Yeah she's quite smart about such things.”

A slight chuckle escaped Linod as he considered the situation and looked towards Pirax. “It's time for you to fall spirit and you won't rise again. I'm going to assure that you're fragmented into so many bits there won't be any trace of your awareness left.”

Pirax, “You're too bold for your own good orc!” With his webbing torn open Pirax knew that he couldn't rely on it for defense any longer. This knowledge prompted the massive spider to cast aside his defense as he rushed towards Linod fear of the massive claws that had appeared moments earlier having left his mind. Before he could reach the orc though his right side was engulfed in flames as several of the mages release a massive wave of fire. The force of the flames was such that Pirax found his progression halted and his body forced sideways even as a shriek of pain escaped from him.

Linod didn't need any more time then that. With Pirax out of his web and delayed the orc released a massive wave of lightning into the massive creature. As the lightning and fire met with the spider the sound of flesh popping and sizzling filled the air and mingled with the spirits screams of pain. “That web was the only thing allowing you to stand against us spirit your end is now.”

***************************************************************************************************

Amalgam, “She said what!”

Qulex, “The great dragon spirit refused to help and said that unless we agreed that should we win she will have her own domain in the forest she will aid in the attack against us.”

Amalgam, “How dare that rodent make demands of me!”

Alex, “What can we do now though? We have no means of forcing her hand if she won't accept our offer and if she was to ally against us then we would surely fall. We're falling now though.”

Amalgam, “Yes I can feel two of my servants have fallen and with their fall the barrier is weakening. Very well it seems that it has come to this.”

Alex, “Came to what?”

Amalgam, “Human you will handle the barrier for as long as you can. Direct the newborn Qulex you' are to make your way to  the chamber in which the old born are being held.”

Alex, “Wait? What are you doing?”

Amalgam, “You don't need to know that because you have no choice. Do as your told and keep them back for as long as you can.”

There was a moment of resistance in Alex but it quickly faded. The answer the spirit had given him was far from desirable but it was right. The Amalgam had sank its claws far too deeply into his being for him to resist its influence. As he watched Qulex leave though he could feel the Amalgam's presence weaken as if it had shifted locations. Apparently it was preparing for something but what could it be planning in the chamber where they had stored the weaker kobolds?

***************************************************************************************************

Mirin, “What happened to Joseph?”

Nadia, “He used up all his strength fighting the kobolds but don't worry he's not injured just exhausted. I'm quite happy with his performance though. He managed to cast his spell five times instead of his estimated three.”

Mirin, “It must have been one extremely powerful spell.”

Nadia gave a slight nod and reached down running her finger along Joseph's sleeping form. “Yes it was it's what allowed me to risk falling back from my defensive position to bring him here. I should be getting back there now. Pera, Terima take him somewhere quiet and safe to rest he couldn't even fight a mouse in his current state.”

Pera and Terima had been told to remain inside while the fight was going on but had been told to watch the entrance along with several other younger sisters. The youngest of the sisters were housed deeper within the library along with the younger brothers and a few elder sisters. The brothers who were trained in mage craft but not part of the direct battle found themselves housed in the middle of both groups though some of them remained near the entrance to see what was going on.

Pera, “Should I take him back to where we're keeping the younger sisters and brothers?”

Mirin, “That would be fine. Just don't spend too much time talking talking to Allen though I'm sure he'll have a hundred questions for you.”

Pera, “I'll be back quick.” As Pera picked Joseph up she couldn't help but blush as Mirin made it clear that he knew what she was doing. “Are you sure you don't need me to go outside and help fight Nadia?”

Nadia, “Don't worry little sister we are holding fine. The enemies strength is diminishing far more rapidly then our own.”

Pera, “You sound confident Nadia. Aren't you worried they're going to manage to pull off some surprise attack near the end?”

Nadia, “Well they've tried. Joseph put an end to that. With their strongest dead I'm rather doubtful. Mirin just to be on the safe side how has the kobolds attacks influenced the library?”

Mirin, “Some of the brothers are scared that they've managed to influence the stone the library is made of itself. Mind you they've found no reason to believe the kobolds have managed to do so but the fact that they can't find anything only makes them more concerned. They fear that the corrupting of the stone was done so beautifully that they can't detect it.”

Nadia, “These brothers are a bit on the paranoid side aren't they?”

Mirin, “You think so to?”

***************************************************************************************************

Mina had a wide grin on her face as she swung her ax through the air. She could feel the magic gathering around the blade as well as the wind followed by the release of both energies. The sound the wind made when it was released had been growing on her since the beginning of the battle and she was already quite fond of it. The power of the attack was obvious as it met with the kobolds barrier and burst through it shredding the kobolds that tried to hide.

Mina, “So how much of that is the spell you used and how much of it is the weapon?”

Dan was still more then a little sore from when Mina had jerked him from the ground and still very bruised. Despite the pain though he was smiling as well as he looked towards the ax. “All my magic is doing is helping the kinetic energy to travel more smoothly through the air and build up within the weapon. You seem to be getting hold of that blade though.”

Mina, “It builds its power from my swings did you notice how my swings are roughly the same speed each time?”

Dan, “Sorry Mina that's a bit too fast for me.” Dan was grateful for being able to speak with Mina as the kobolds struggled to adapt to the storm the brothers had whipped up to bring them down.

Mina, “Well it isn't exactly the same speed each time but it's like the harder I push the ax to move faster the more it pushes back. I know this sounds bad but the more it pushes back the more powerful the attack whenever it is finally released or whenever it meets with something. Maria would positively hate this weapon but for someone who has a lot more strength then they have speed to begin with its remarkable.”

Dan, “Your attacks seem to have gotten much faster have you figure out what that's about?”

Mina, “That's all in the release of the energy. A sudden stop and the attack is extremely precise while it spreads out more if the slow down is less rapid. Dan this is a magical item that was meant to be used by beings who can't use magic isn't it!”

Despite the situation Dan felt a slight chuckle coming upon. Nearly all magical items were designed so that those who weren't capable of using magic could do so. This ax was truly something else though as he watched its affects. It brought up the question as to how much of the power was coming from Mina and how much was coming from the weapon though. Perhaps the secret to the weapon's strength wasn't a powerful spell but rather what the spell did. They were other concerns on his mind though. “Mina I need you to set me down soon I'm not feeling very well.”

Mina, “We're about to the door Dan. I'll let you go inside and they'll treat you there.”

Dan was shocked for a moment he didn't know what to say as he looked around and realized that indeed Mina had been making her way back towards the library entrance. “You were taking me there this entire time?”

Mina, “I began moving in this direction the moment I grabbed you by the stomach. Dan you say you're fine but I know that you're in pain right now and in no condition to fight. Besides having to constantly move can't be easy on that delicate body of yours.”

***************************************************************************************************

Qulex took in a deep breath as he hefted a exceptionally lustrous and dark tablet onto the alter before him and looked out over the lesser kobolds. This was a plan of desperation though they hadn't realized how desperate at the time being. “Master we are ready to begin the ritual.”

Things had come to this. At first she had remained within the spirit realm in order to avoid confronting the sister's directly but now she had no choice. She would have Qulex summon her through the shadows and completely into the physical world however the Amalgam had no intention at stopping there. It remembered the power of Zarena and knew that it would need power to match her if only for a time. The life force of the remaining kobolds would give her that power. “Hurry Qulex, the barrier won't hold for long once the ritual has begun.”

Qulex, “Yes mistress.”  Despite his words Qulex took a moment to look to the exits. Every exit into and out of the room was guarded by some of the new breed. This was required in case the other kobolds attempted to escape once they realized what was happening to them. “Drink!”

No great speech came from Qulex to the other kobolds and no promises. It was only an order and they obeyed lifting the cups to their mouth and drinking in the dark liquid it contained. There was some hesitation at first as the kobolds wondered what it was but as they tasted the liquid they began to drink greedily. A few of the kobolds even began to struggle for the cups of those who were slower to drink as they took in the sweet poison. They were ruled by the moment having already convinced themselves that the flavor alone meant this was a blessing from their master. That would work in his favor as Qulex began to focus energy into the stone.

The stone quickly shifted from lustrous to truly glowing as it responded to the energy flowing throughout it. Bright tendrils of energy soon burst forth from the rock and slammed into the nearest kobolds. They were cast to the ground almost instantly as the liquid within them went from a sweet flavor to a fire within their veins. Harsh screams began to fill the area and a darkness escaped from the kobolds mouth and slowed into the stone. The cycle was soon revealed. As the life energy from the first kobolds was drained into the stone even more tendrils were formed and reached out striking even more kobolds. Those who had drank the most greedily and took in the most of the solution were the first to be struck.

As the magic worked Qulex could feel the power building within the stone. A power that surpassed anything that he had ever felt before as he worked to control the energy and continue the ritual. The stone was more then any simple rock and wasn't truly a stone either. It was a portion of a root which had been blackened and hardened with both fire, magic and its very environment. It held a link to their master though he didn't know the finer details as Qulex continued to send out the dark energy though life seemed to enter into the room as it began to truly expand and reach out driving itself deeply into the alter and the ground around them. Qulex found himself growing concerned as he watched the root expanding.

The kobolds had given themselves over to her and through that the Amalgam had already bound them to this ritual. The drink they had taken in had only served to further taint their bodies and open them up to her while the root was the focus of the ritual. Some of the kobolds had realized what was going on now and began to dash towards the opening only to be thrust back into the room by the new breed. This brought on a predictable response as the kobolds began to pick up any lose stone or item that they could use as a weapon in an attempt to threaten the new breed yet the new breed showed no signs of moving.

A stillness ran amongst the kobolds even as they continued to fall. None wanted to be the first to rush the new breed knowing that it would mean their deaths. Finally a single kobold let out a shrill scream and began to rush towards the door while carrying a large stone above his head. He didn't actually manage to reach the door though as one of the tendrils from the root shot out and engulfed him. The moment the tendril had touched the kobold his legs failed him and he toppled to the ground and yet it had begun. With one having led the charge the others began to rush towards the new breed. Unfortunately none of them seemed to realize the flaw in their plan.

The passages into the room were rather narrow so narrow that there was no way for more then two kobolds to reach the new breed at a time. Given the rate at which they were falling and the advantage the new breed had over the old generation Qulex was confident that none would manage to overcome the new breed. Had they been thinking and reasoning more clearly they would have chosen to attack him and try to stop the ritual. They didn't do that though as they were most frightened of the root and thus chose the path to certain doom. That was often the way of his species when confronted by a powerful enemy though. Fear was what ruled them more then anything else. It gave him a feeling of pride to think that he had moved beyond such simple creatures and could see the difference.

***************************************************************************************************

Linod could feel a tremble in the spiritual realm and he turned his gaze towards the mountain. A massive aura had engulfed the mountain and a sickness seemed to spread throughout the area. He chanced a look to Nathan, the brothers and his own orcs before looking back towards the mountain. “Something is happening and I don't believe it's good.”

Nathan, “Can you feel that coming from the mountain? I knew that a massive amount of power had to be involved in controlling the land like this but how can the Amalgam have that kind of power?”

Linod, “The Amalgam probably doesn't bu it's doing something to increase its power for the time. We are faced with a situation now. As far as I can tell whatever is going on is aimed at the physical world we could try to intervene in order to aid your sisters but that means we might draw the attack upon ourselves. We may also remain here and wait and see if an opportunity presents itself.”

Nathan, “What do you suggest? It isn't like our sisters don't also have a great power siding with them.”

For a moment Linod was silent and then gave a slight nod. “I believe that we should attack now if we can reach the mountain. I get the feeling that the Amalgam is more running from us then preparing to fight us.”

Nathan, “Now that's a funny thought. I figured it would be more interested in running from Zarena then running from us.”

A slight chuckle escape Linod as he gave a nod. “Perhaps that's the wrong word. By running from us I more meant the forces that have come to stand against it. You see while we were fighting here I felt Nightfang's presence and several other spirits. Apparently they were waiting for an opportunity to strike. There is only one spirit of note which hasn't joined in on the battle yet.”

Nathan, “Which would be?”

Linod, “The dragon that has been observing the battle this entire time. Apparently she has only chosen to watch and not participate perhaps in hopes of retrieving an easy meal.”

Nathan, “Is there any chance you could convince her to join us?”

Linod, “Unfortunately I don't believe we have time as we've talked enough. Come let's us make our way to the mountain. Be ready for your spells though. If this is indeed the Amalgam becoming desperate then we're liable to encounter even more dangers. Perhaps not of the quality that we've seen so far but I am certain the Amalgam will throw it's remaining defenders against us.”

***************************************************************************************************

The kobolds were as good as dead. Nadia knew this as several of them had made a fatal error and finally landed upon the ground to avoid the torturous winds in the sky. This was a mistake on so many levels though. Had they remained in the sky or let the fall kill them at least their deaths might have been relatively painless. There was no sympathy from her however as she extended her hand towards two of them extending her claws as she did so. The creatures tried to run from her but they didn't make it more then a single step before her claws pushed through both of their stomachs. Harsh gasp escaped both of them but as her massive claw destroyed their abdomen they lost their ability to  breath and with it their ability to truly scream. She wasted no time lifting the skewered kobolds from the ground and towards her ready mouth. She was still composed enough to know this act more involved anger then hunger or liking their taste. In truth she rather disliked how they tasted but she wanted it to be clear they were nothing more then food.

Nadia's behavior was being repeated throughout the battlefield at times on smaller scales and at times on larger. Fera was most assuredly in hunting mode as she captured as many of the kobolds as she could. Unlike Nadia though Fera was taking advantage of her size to try to force the kobolds down alive. She wanted them to be able to see inside of her mouth, feel the heat of her breath, her powerful muscles as they were forced down into her stomach, to breath in the limited and tainted air within her stomach and before they lost consciousness to feel the chemicals and mechanisms of her body ripping theirs apart. Being able to swallow a kobold whole also meant that she didn't experience nearly as much of the unpleasant taste.

This was the sister's revenge. They had been angered enough by being attacked but the fact that the kobolds had set fire to the market had only pushed them even further. What was contempt for the kobolds before hand had become true anger and even hatred for some sisters. Not all who were outside of the library had fallen into such behavioral patterns. Mina for her part found herself faced with another situation as several sisters had began to gather around her.

Rita, “Mina we need to go the the market immediately and get those fires out there are probably still a lot of buildings that can be saved! Even if there isn't we might as well save what we can though and make sure those fires don't spread any further then they have already.”

As Rita finished speaking her opinion was echoed by roughly a dozen sisters who had gathered around Mina. The keeper found herself in a bit of a situation. Technically they should insure the library's defense but hadn't they beaten back the enemy already? Mina felt some concern that the kobolds had another wave coming and had no desire to weaken their defenses. At the same time the smoke and the sounds coming from the market told her that it was still burning. “Fine. You twelve are to come back immediately though  if you are called for or you note another attack. You're also to stay in groups of three at all times do you understand?”

Yes quickly ran throughout the group as the sisters began to sprint away. It wasn't too surprising that they were mostly guardian or nearly guardian sized sisters. They tended to handle most of the repairs in the market and construction and as Mina thought about it she recognized them as sisters who had been assigned to work on certain structures. Naturally they didn't want to see all their work undone. She wondered if they would feel even more anger towards the kobolds upon their return.

Mina, “Fera do you mind if I leave the battlefield for a few moments?”

Often Fera could be a funny creature. While scooping up kobolds and swallowing them alive she seemed an out of control monster but the moment she heard Mina's voice she seemed to regain her mind as she glanced towards her sister. “Just hurry back we don't know what's coming next but you can check on Dan.”

Mina, “Thank you.”

***************************************************************************************************

It had to happen eventually. As the blood of the kobolds filled the waters and the injured ones tried to escape predators had been attracted. The massive creatures the kobolds had brought in to carry their weapons were new to Kersara but they weren't the most powerful creature's in the sea. The magic of the forest extended to more then just those who lived in the forest those creatures that also made up their home in the waters near it had been influenced and the flesh eaters were making their presence known. Now Kersara found herself wondering if these creatures had been drawn in from surrounding areas or if they were just that numerous.

Kelah, “What are you thinking Kersara?”

Kersara, “Do you see all of those two headed wyverns fighting together?”

Kelah, “Yeah what about it?”

Kersara, “We really need to come up with a proper name for them rather then two headed wyverns. Anyway, five of them are actually males and only one of them is female.”

While the female had been holding her own against the kobolds the sound of battle and a distressed female had attracted the attention of several males. Now each one of them had rushed to her side seeking an opportunity to display their combative abilities for what would hopefully be a receptive female. Rather then fighting one another though the males were more then intelligent enough to realize that aiding her against the kobolds would be a better display and less dangerous to them. Unfortunately for five of the males a particularly large male had been attracted who had actually taken the lead against the kobolds as if he was escorting the female through their ranks. The only chance the five weaker males seeming to have in the situation being that the larger would be overwhelmed by the kobolds.

Kelah, “How do you know they're male?”

Kersara, “I can smell it. I don't believe we're needed here though. Are the spirits telling you anything?”

Kelah, “Well they're pretty darn angry. The spirits of the land are upset due to the sudden attack on their shore and the spirits of life aren't happy with what happened either. The water is being soaked in blood and it's attracting at abnormally number of predators.”

Kersara, “What about those one things we saw in the water?”

Kelah, “Mm you'd need a shaman more skilled in such things then I am.”

Lanod, “There is so much life energy escaping from this region that it's hard to be sure. The spirits of the water are too enraged to really communicate with right now. Perhaps though the spirits of the wind would be willing to offer some information. They've been influenced less by the happenings here and may know something.”

Kersara, “What do you need to ask them?”

Lanod, “Just a little time to focus. Plus a safer location then here.”

***************************************************************************************************

Mirin sat quietly looking at the scroll before him. The mystic energy flowing through it had been stopped and thus the spell was ended but the scroll remained. Perhaps they should keep it in the event they needed it later? No one was in a rush to destroy it at least. Now his mind was focused on other things. “It seems that we have won here.”

Dan, “I believe that's safe to assume. I don't know if its a clean victory though. A few sisters apparently went to check on the market and try to put out the fires.”

Mirin, “Did you catch word of any sisters being lost?”

Dan, “I haven't heard anything about any sisters being killed. The kobolds really didn't have a chance though.”

Mirin, “Sure they did. If our sisters had required us all to remain inside and not been involved the kobolds command of the skies would have allowed them to apply so much more force. There may have been more bloodshed then even I would like to think of in that case.”

Dan, “That is true. Are you worried about what's going on at the other battlefields?”

Mirin, “I can't see what's going on at the mountain. I tried to take a look a little while ago and there is too much magic running wild there for me to see anything.  I'm rather worried that whatever is there is putting out so much power. It may even be enough to cost our sister's their lives.”

Dan, “You believe that even with Zarena standing with them?”

Mirin, “I'm afraid so yes.”

Dan, “Is it wrong that I'm glad Mina didn't go to the battlefield with the others?”

Mirin, “It is a bit selfish but in this can that can be understood. I wish that Sora hadn't gone on some levels as well. Let's take some time to make sure this battle is truly ours rather then stand around worrying though. We have to trust in our sisters, brothers and oddly the orcs this time. It was once said that we should have some allies just in case we ever needed them but none of us ever believed the day would come that we would truly need them for their combative ability. I suppose we wouldn't have if things didn't change.”

Dan, “Change from what?”

Mirin was silent for a moment as he looked down towards the floor. “Dan why don't you come with me instead? There is something I want to try on the lower levels. It's something that if we can find it and if it still remains should make Zarena very happy if our other sisters rather angry.”

***************************************************************************************************

Alex could feel his hands trembling as he struggled to adapt to Zarena's attacks. He could feel his energy weakening and the earth slowing in response to his will as the power the Amalgam had been supplying him weakened. He had been forced to change strategies in order to protect himself and the more valuable chambers. He did this by shifting the location of his own chamber and while he was forbidden from moving the one the Amalgam was using he could change the earth around it so that the force was redirected. Their was a problem with that though. With each attack Zarena reduced the amount of earth that he had to work with and the stone she did strike was greatly weakened so that it could not function the same again. With no knowledge of how much time he had to buy the Amalgam he was growing increasingly desperate.

It wasn't just Zarena that he had to worry about though. The battle in the shadows had been going poorly every since two generals had fallen. He felt it was going poorly when the generals had been engaged in battle but this was beyond that. With the fall of two of them Nightfang's capacity to participate in the battle had increased greatly and now the wolf spirit was nearing the mountain itself. Some kobold shaman had tried to stop him but they had fallen. The mages and shamans were progressing rapidly as well though lagging behind the wolf spirit they were also working to reclaim the land for the forest which was further hindering his ability to hold back Zarena.

Losing their grip on the shadow realm also meant those sisters who had been kept back were now moving rapidly towards the mountain. If it hadn't been fear of entering into a structure Zarena was so clearly intent on destroying entirely they would have been surging through the mountain most likely at this point. Instead they were now focused on the kobolds that had taken to the air. Apparently they were also thinking more clearly with the collapse of the oxygen stripping barrier that they had been using to force them back.

***************************************************************************************************

Rita, “Here you go Flora.” As she spoke Rita lay a small pile of what was thumb sized stones and larger next to Flora. They were the highest quality stones she could find on short notice but she believed they would work.

Flora, “Thank you very much Rita.” As she spoke Flora continued to work her claws through a stone she'd been given earlier. She only needed a few seconds to reshape the stone into something far more suitable for throwing. She placed this one in a pile of four she'd already prepared and then handed them to Rita. “Make sure these count.”

There was a wide grin on Rita's face as she took the projectiles and began to dash towards a particular target. The kobold had been one of the kobolds that directed the sound attacks on their ears earlier. As she ran though she had to remind herself that these were new breed and shaman. She couldn't hold back if she wanted to take them out of the sky. All the sisters knew this and they also knew that even a direct hit might not be enough to take one of them down.

It felt odd to be crafting what was effectively a toy in most sisters eyes while a battle was going on but Flora couldn't think of any other alternative. The kobolds had adjusted to the limited range their shapers could influence too rapidly for them to continue wasting the mystic elixir they'd been provided. So they had been forced to adapt. Her mind had went to a toy from her own childhood. It was natural for sisters and brothers to want to play together but due to their drastically different abilities there was a limited number of games that they could play.

Mira, “Mom I need some more darts.”

Flora actually felt a grin form on her face as she looked up at her daughter. “You mean you finished before Maria did?” Even as she was speaking Flora continued to work as quickly as she could to carve the stones.  With so many sisters to supply it was proving difficult though.

Mira, “I'm not sure about that. I haven't been able to keep track of Maria since she had me stuff my ears.”

Maria, “What are you doing back here already?”

Upon hearing Maria both Mira and Flora turned to look towards her. It was Flora that began to chuckle first though. “Maria I hope you know that your sister has already used up all her darts.”

Maria, “What? You got your darts after me though where are you finding so many kobolds?”

Mira, “Um I don't know how to answer that the question seems kind of silly. I don't believe you ever played this game did you Maria?”

Maria, “No. Oh so that's your secret. I bet while we have to wait for a kobold to seem vulnerable you can hit more illusive targets.”

Mira, “I have noticed you all seem to be taking your sweet time when it comes to trying to hit your targets and your accuracy is pretty terrible. Carter and I used to play darts together though. Don't you remember mom you said you smell his scent on me before.”

Flora, “Oh you're right! I became so used to smelling him on you that it slipped my mind.” As she spoke Flora handed Mira ten of the stone darts instead of the five she'd been handing to other sisters. “Actually I believe I've smelt him on you recently as well.”

Maria, “Really! You've been hanging out with Carter?”

Flora, “I would say she's been doing a bit more then hanging out.”

Mira, “Hey! No talking about me when I'm not here.”

Flora, “But you.” Flora was made to chuckle as she watched her youngest daughter dash away clearly wanting to put some distance between herself and the conversation. “Alright Maria you're going to have to wait a moment while I prepare more. Perhaps I should have had your sister stay and help me carve since she has prior experience.

Maria, “Could I help some?”

Flora, “No. Sorry sweet heart but speed isn't always an advantage. You'd be more likely to powder the stone with how quickly you like to work them to form it properly. You know whenever I was a child this was one of the preferred games since with slight modifications to the ammunition used the ability gap between brother and sister could be closed enough for some real competition. We could predict the wind better then they could due to our ears and response to touch but that was often taken of care by finding a calm location.”

Maria, “Hey mom what has been going on between Mira and Carter.”

Flora, “Now Maria your sister said she didn't want us talking about that. Anyway, the brothers were permitted to use standard arrows while we made use of stone ones that we carved ourselves. The brothers believed that the use of stone arrows helped compensate for our physical power and natural muscle control. I suppose if we weren't so strong the weight would have been a problem but well a few brothers learned otherwise and started insisting that we use the same darts as them to be fair.”

No response came right away but  Maria took a moment to look around and noted her sisters running about. She could hear the sound of Zarena pounding away on the mountain slowly reducing it to powder and she was made to grin. “Should we be talking about this during a battle?” 

A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she looked at her daughter. “Maria I am making what amounts to toys to be used as weapons because we have such limited ranged combat abilities without our brothers. I'm afraid a little reflection on the past while I work is wonderfully suited to the situation. That doesn't mean we can't watch the battlefield though. Now. Our brothers noticed that these darts gave us an advantage. The more delicate ones they were using were actually worse for us as they forced us to slow down our throwing speed so we didn't destroy the dart. This meant we had to be more observant of wind current and the rate of fall just like our brothers did. They managed to beat us for a long while.”

Maria, “Mira has already learned to judge wind current hasn't she?”

Flora, “I'm sure she has. Naturally none of us can judge the wind currents in the sky perfectly except for perhaps Zarena but you have an advantage all your own. I've seen you throwing. You impart such a high velocity to your darts that the wind has little time to influence it. Try to observe how the winds blowing sweet heart and think about how it'll influence your dart over a long distance though.” As she spoke Flora handed her daughter some darts.

Maria, “I thought I was doing well.”

Flora, “Perhaps compared to your current sisters. If I could actually join in on the throwing though I would put you and your sister to shame. I wish some of the veterans were here.”

For a moment Maria said nothing but continued to look at her mother then she gave a slight chuckle. “You just wait. I'm going to kick your tail at darts once we're done here.”

Flora, “Oh?”

***************************************************************************************************

Nathan, “What's happening Linod?”

Even as they spoke both mage and shaman were currently sprinting towards the mountain that had began to boil and shift as if it was mist rather then a solid object. Violent hissing could be heard coming from it combined with screams and groans. A great feeling of sickness had began to wash out from the mountain and now Linod found himself growing concerned.

Linod, “They're doing something to the barrier between the spirit and physical world. I believe something is trying to pass through into our world.”

Nathan, “What though? This energy I don't even know if we should be rushing towards it.”

Linod, “It's the energy itself that's trying to pass through they're trying to manifest this power in our world! We have to strengthen the barrier to try to slow the flow.”

Nathan, “If we stop it though it'll begin to flow backwards and then it'll be our problem. Wouldn't it make more sense to try to drain it and redirect the energy?”

Linod, “That is a good idea but where do we put it?”

Nathan, “Don't you know some spirit that would like to get its hands on that energy?”

To this Linod gave a quick nod. “You make a good point and I see one now.”

This was too much for Tazona to stay away from. While the kobolds energy flowing into the world had been directed to the Amalgam there was far too much energy for the spirit to take in by itself. Too much excess energy flowing wildly for the dragon spirit to hold back from so that she moved towards the mountain and began to inhale. Instantly she noted the pull of the Amalgam as it struggled to take in as much of the energy as it could and prevent her from consuming it. The dragon spirit was having none of that though and began to inhale all the more sharply steeling some of the kobold's life energy away from the Amalgam and taking the power for herself. Yet this was but a tiny ripple despite her best efforts.

For a moment Linod said nothing but took in a deep breath. “I wonder if Kelah can feel the spirits power growing right now. I suppose that doesn't matter.”

Nathan, “You mean your daughter feeling the Amalgam?”

Linod, “No. I mean the dragon. Nathan we need to do what we can to disrupt that energy flow now. We will begin working on stopping the flow between worlds while you protect us. I believe this is the tasks our two groups are best suited to in this situation.”

Nathan, “Alright, we'll put up the strongest barrier that we can.”

Linod, “I hope that we don't need it.”

***************************************************************************************************

The power flowing through the room had become suffocating to the point that Qulex found  himself on the ground gasping for breath. Despite this trouble though he continued to channel energy into the root as his master told him. None of the kobolds remained standing now though a few seemed to be trying to crawl. Where they hoped to go he didn't know but it didn't really matter. “Master they are nearing their end.”

Amalgam, “As are they all!”

This was no voice in the head or feeling Qulex encountered now. His eyes were made to open wide as he saw the roots branches coming together and faces emerging. The first that he noted had the eyes of a spider yet attached to it was the muzzle of a canine. It's teeth were twisted into savage hooks while it's tongue seemed that of a snake. Another head soon joined the other the other. Horns adorned the new head while it whore a ravens beak yet a beak that was filled with hundreds of teeth the eyes were clearly that of a snake. A third head soon  joined the other two yet another mixture of creatures until a total of four heads adorned the creature's body their positions an odd mixtures of incorrect locations.

As the creature's heads formed more of its body could be found. Wolves paws mingled with spider legs while a massive pincer adorned the creatures right side. The pincer itself was covered by many small legs that seemed as if they could serve as blades or as tiny clasps for whatever purposes. A massive row of teeth could be seen throughout the creature's stomach and for a moment they parted revealing a glistening network of greater fangs within. A horrific stench filled the room as did an odd buzz that seemed to make the kobold's bone rattle.

It was a hard sight for Qulex to see. While he knew his master's nature wasn't like that of other spirits to see such a mixture of beings was far beyond what he was prepared for. This wasn't enough to truly concern him for long though. What concerned him was the rate at which the Amalgam began to rapidly fill the room. Natural instinct kicked in and finally the kobold bolted for the exits as had the other kobolds. As he was running though he noted that the new breed had began to move as well.

***************************************************************************************************

Pain shot throughout Alex's being as he collapsed to the ground. A massive stone burst from the wall and struck the mage solidly yet somehow it didn't kill him. Perhaps he had managed to slow the attack just enough? It didn't matter though as he lay there groaning in pain certain that his ribs had been shattered by the force of the impact. The second attack would crush the room though and his pain would end. Finally it would all end. This actually brought a smile to his face as he reflected upon one happy thought. At least the Amalgam wasn't a true demon for all of its faults. He didn't have to worry about being bound to some nightmare creature once his life ended and that brought him some peace. The sound of laughter entering his head pushed these thoughts from his mind though as he felt a new rumbling moving throughout the mountain.

Amalgam, “You are mine mage death won't free you this day!”

As the words entered into his mind Alex couldn't help himself. His mouth opened and a shrill scream escaped him as he longed to see the walls coming in to crush his body. He felt himself rushing towards those walls moments later but darkness engulfed him before he could meet with it and instead of feeling solid earth against his body he felt a thick oil that seemed to slither over his entire being. The gunk gripped his entire body and a sudden tug pulled at him as all fresh air was taken from him while sickness seemed to fill his lunges.

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena could see her target as she worked to destroy the mountain but the mountain was always defending it. She had known something was happening when the mountain slowed though and had been growing increasingly concerned with each attack. As the entire mountain was engulfed in a taint though she had to voice that concern. “Sisters fall back!” Even as the words left her lips Zarena made no move to retreat herself but brace herself for what was to come. She would not retreat until all her sisters were safely out of harms way. As her thoughts turned from killing the enemy to the safety of those around her her thoughts also turned to Nathan.

Amalgam, “Die creature!” The Amalgam found itself brimming with delight as it lashed out against Zarena. Once again the mountain seemed to come to life but this wasn't due to the stone being animated rather it was due to the earth being forced away from a massive talon that burst through and struck Zarena directly in the stomach. The sound of massive chunks of earth being torn to shreds filled the air as the force of the attack drove Zarena back even while she held her stance. A grunt of pain could be heard from the massive sleeper as the Amalgam revealed its new form.

No words had reached Zarena's still healing ears. As she looked at the Amalgam though she didn't need to know what had been said to respond. Zarena quickly lashed out with her claws bringing both arms up in a massive arc her finger tips bristling with energy as she did so. She was truly surprised whenever her claws met with and bit deeply into the Amalgam's body. She had expected far more resistance as she quickly moved her claws upward. She wondered if it was a scream of pain that escaped from the creature's head as she drew her claws through it.

Pain was indeed the Amalgam's concern as Zarena's mutated claws cut through its body. Yet even as Zarena's claws opened it up the creature could feel those openings shutting. Having no desire to exchange blow for blow though the creature quickly surged forward breaking free from the mountain and standing to its full height before rushing towards Zarena. This time it made use of its massive claw making a grab for Zarena's head. The feeling of a massive fist striking its claw forcing it out of the way was not welcome nore was the feeling of Zarena's free hand slamming into its stomach forcing her fingers deeply into it.

A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as she looked at the creature. “You're an idiot.” With those words Zarena quickly pushed off the ground leaping above the creature before driving both her feet into the Amalgam's center most head. The sound of the impact filled the area even as the Amalgam brought up a scorpion’s tail in hopes of impaling Zarena. It was only greeted by the feeling of Zarena's hand taking hold of the weapon and using its own momentum and her strength to drive the tail into the Amalgam's own back.

Zarena wasn't going to waste this opportunity taunting the creature. With one hand holding the tail stationary she brought her right hand up and drove it fingers first claws extended into the tail. The result was like before her claws cut through the Amalgam's flesh and severed the tip of the tail from its body. She was a bit surprised whenever no fluids flowed from the opening but hardly concerned as she tossed the tail to the side. Her eyes had revealed to her what she was dealing with and she couldn't expect a spiritual being that crossed to the physical world to obey natural laws. The way the creature thrashed about told her that it understood pain.

***************************************************************************************************

Alex's world was a blur of pain as the Amalgam was being picked apart by Zarena. The sickness running throughout his body and the corruption further fogged his mind yet through all of that he found himself calling out. “She knows how to fight she isn't just big! You can't defeat them with your strength alone you must out fight her!”

Amalgam, “How!” Even as the Amalgam spoke it began to look through Alex's memory trying to find the guidance that it needed. It remembered their ears had been a weak point but she had removed that now it's mind turned to another as its spider's head turned towards Zarena and released a viscous fog. It was a toxin meant to kill and while the Amalgam doubted it would work against her if it could bother her nose then perhaps the distraction could give it what it needed. When a sudden rush of air came out of Zarena though and dispersed the fog it wasn't at all happy.

***************************************************************************************************

Had this thing ever fought a serious opponent within its life time? Zarena didn't know or particularly care but to use a visible fog and make such an obvious attack against her was ridiculous. Since the barrier had gone up she's been building up low quality air in her lunges now that the barrier was gone she was happy to exhale and take in some fresh air. As she breathed in she was a bit disappointed by the quality of the air but it was still far superior to what she'd been holding onto. Her body seemed to think so at least as she felt her muscles responding to the supply of fresh oxygen and her lunges working more rapidly. Apparently her body was eager to return to its regular biological levels.

The Amalgam seemed to not being holding up so well. Zarena had by now noticed that the wounds she'd given the Amalgam had healed for the most part but they weren't closing up nicely as she had feared they would. The healing seemed rough and scarred as if the region had become infected. The creature's tail wasn't growing back either though the tip had sealed itself off it also seemed these regions were more vulnerable then the others. This only resulted in Zarena increasing the rate at which she was delivering strikes to the Amalgam. Her attacks were somewhat slowed by the creature's desperate attempts to get back on its feet or turn to face her but hardly anything she had trouble compensating for.

Flora had noticed the ease with which Zarena had been taking apart her opponent but responded to the creature revealing itself just the same. “Fall back sisters let's give Zarena room!” The words seemed to reach all the sisters by one means or another as they began to fall back closer to the forest. As she was running though Flora noted several sisters stopping at the locations where their brothers had entered into the shadow world and giving her questioning looks. Apparently they wanted to remain to secure the locations. “It's no good sisters they've moved beyond those locations.” It didn't surprise Flora when despite her words several sisters were slow in moving away from the spot. Had Zarena not been on the battlefield she knew they wouldn't be leaving at all.

While she had heard her mother's words Maria hadn't left the battlefield yet. Rather she was busy rushing about informing the few sisters who had missed the warning that it was time to give Zarena some room. As she was dashing about she also found herself looking for targets of opportunity. Unfortunately several of them seemed rather too high in the sky for her to reach. “Hey Mira didn't you hear mother?”

Mira, “What? I'm retreating. This is just a rolling retreat.” As she was speaking Mira would stop every few moments to toss another one of the darts at a kobold. She was far from playing a fools game though. Mira was already rather close to the edge of what many seemed to consider the safe zone and a few seconds or perhaps less of hard sprinting from her would easily put her in the safe zone. Despite this Maria wasn't content to leave her sister.

Maria, “Here take my darts.”

Mira, “Thanks but don't you want to go for a few more kills.”

Maria, “I just watched one of your darts curve after you through it and strike a kobold's head. When I can learn to do that I'll use them on my own until then they're better served with you. Just be ready if I see that fight come towards us I'm grabbing your tail and hauling it out of here.”

Mira, “Good to know as long as you don't mean you'll really drag me by my tail.”

Maria, “Ah well no promises about that.”

After releasing two more darts Mira looked at her sister. “Don't you dare. Maria I have to admit I'm a little worried though. What will all these kobolds do after we've left the battlefield and it is only Zarena fighting their master? I know she's powerful but that things pretty big.”

Maria, “I'm not sure sister. Are you done with those darts though?”

Mira, “Yeah that's the last of them but.” A grin formed on Mira's face as she held up the shaper. “Want to bet those kobolds are not too busy thinking of darts and their master to remember we still have some of these left?”

Maria, “Oh! I bet they haven't. Come on let's go get our sisters and make use of them before they remember. I just wonder if we should aim for the big monstrosity or the little bastards.”

Mira, “That probably depends on how much we have left.”

***************************************************************************************************

Alex, “You can't fight her with strength you have to fight her as a mage it's the only way I know how to fight!” Even as the words left him Alex knew that his mouth wasn't moving. What was even stranger was he didn't know if he wanted them to be heard. At least if the Amalgam lost the battle both of their lives would end. He would go onto whatever waited for a mortal soul such as himself and the Amalgam would end hopefully as tiny bits inside of other spirits too tiny to ever reform but perhaps still just aware enough to suffer. It was his sincere hope.

As hostile as Alex's thoughts might have been the Amalgam now recognized the truth of the situation. It had to fight Zarena as a mage if it was to hope to win for it lacked the skill in any other area to have a hope of winning. “You truly are a wonderful addition to myself mortal. I should find another of your kind who could more permanently graft you into me. Perhaps one known as a necromancer.”

Only repulsion came from Alex but the Amalgam paid the human no mind. It needed to face Zarena and wasted no time turning a head to face her. It selected its spell quickly relying upon what information about the sisters Alex was able to recover. Energy began to build up within the head yet before it could be released a mystic claw impaled the head pushing through to where the magic had been gathering and instantly disrupting it so that the sudden rush of energy did more to damage the Amalgam then Zarena. Zarena wasn't finished yet though as she quickly hooked her finger and jerked it through the Amalgam's flesh.

There was a grin on Zarena's face that told the Amalgam she had seen the attack coming. Memories of the battle and how she had struck at her forces even in the shadow world returned to the Amalgam and it knew for sure that Zarena must be able to see mystic energies. This only meant she had to use faster casting spells and this time she would not aim for a direct attack as the Amalgam sent energy into the ground hoping to turn the earth to muck as it did to help Alex escape. Pushing off the ground the Amalgam didn't make it a single step before Zarena had landed upon it.

***************************************************************************************************

How stupid was this thing? Zarena didn't know for certain but she had felt the ground shift but it hadn't mattered. The creature had only turned the first few feet of the ground to muck. That was no where near enough to influence Zarena though as her massive claws extended deep within the earth to gain footing as her massive weight pushed her feet deeply into the soft ground. Deep enough that she could still feel the solid earth beneath her feet. What was surprising though was how much damage this creature had taken so far. At first the scars had seemed to be amounting to something yet the creature was still holding together. How many times would she need to cut this creature to kill it? Eating it so that it couldn't recall its body back together seemed a solution to the problem but the thought sickened her. Zarena really didn't want to put any bit of this thing into her mouth. In truth she really wanted to wash her hands and ask the brothers for a deep fur bath down to her skin.

Zarena, “Where do I have to hit you to kill you? If only these eyes of mine were more precise I'm sure I would have ended you by now.” Nearly every word from Zarena was accompanied by two slashes of her claws. The way the creature moved she knew that it was in pain but how much? Her thoughts went to handle an issue as yet again the Amalgam attempted a magic attack that was just too long to allow. Zarena immediately inserted her claws into the gathering energy disrupting it.

***************************************************************************************************

Alex, “Strip the air from around her head again! Try to pull it from her lunges!” Rage flooded Alex as he found himself calling out the most obvious attack that came to him. The pain of Zarena's claws striking the body was beyond what he could stand and he hoped to end the pain if only for a moment. He was surprised when he noted some relief from the pain. Did that mean the attacks that stopped.

***************************************************************************************************

This was just getting funny. Zarena had felt the magic take hold around her head and had respond quickly. Instead of trying to disrupt the magic she had altered her position rapidly leaving the area of dead air behind and taking in fresh air. Had the Amalgam thought to use time magic or further its knowledge of wind magic it could have made the spell more dynamic but the creature had either made the region of dead air stationary or it intended to move it as it had done the barrier. The feeling that she was involved in a serious fight was already leaving Zarena as she found herself almost chuckling.

***************************************************************************************************


Madness seemed to be flowing into Alex along with the pain. Desperation to stop the attack on the Amalgam was pushing thoughts of death out of his mind as he found himself at war with his own desires. Ending the pain now meant prolonging the pain later he was certain of that especially after what the Amalgam had said to him. Still he could feel the Amalgam reaching into his mind trying to bring more words from his lips in hopes of finding a way to end the attacks. “Die you bitch! Die! Die! Die!”

There was a cold surge that ran throughout the Amalgam breaking its mind from the pain for a moment. Hatred radiated from Alex. A hatred so consuming that it would end itself if only it meant ending both of their lives. Rage surged through the Amalgam at the humans resistance to its influence and it found itself flooding the human with all the pain that it could manage. The hatred made no sign of budging though but continued to prove a barrier to the pain. “You will obey me human you will let me into you!”

Alex, “A thousand life times of slavery is better then being part of you! Now just die!”

Amalgam, “I will have your thoughts and knowledge now human!” All thoughts of preserving Alex's life vanished from the Amalgam as it began to violently push through Alex's memories picking for any shred of combative knowledge that he might have. Hatred might have surpass any feeling of pain the Amalgam could cause Alex for the moment but his memories still belonged to it and it would use those to survive this battle. Concern for the future had faded it had to survive the current conflict if anything was to be done.

***************************************************************************************************

What had just hit her? Zarena didn't know for sure but a sudden shock wave had erupted from the Amalgam with enough force to lift her feet from the ground and carry her several meters through the air. What made the attack frustrating though was that as she moved through the air the Amalgam had regained its footing and spun around to face her. At least several of its heads were currently facing other others seemed preoccupied with other thoughts or at least directions. Did each head think on its own? She'd have to destroy all of them just in case they did. It was with these thoughts that Zarena began to shred the Amalgam once again digging her claws deeply into the earth and disrupting the energy the Amalgam used to influence it with her claws. She was surprised whenever it continued to move despite her claws.

All of the ground didn't have to be changed in order to influence how steady it was. The Amalgam had realized that now. It was not as effective but by cause the earth those claws did not reach to shift the Amgalm could still rob Zarena of her footing. This bought the Amalgam precious time as it once again gathered energy for a powerful attack. Sound wouldn't work at the moment but there was still that nose to strike at and this time the Amalgam had no intention of just letting Zarena blow it away. As the gas rushed towards her a powerful gust of wind magic slammed into it caring strait towards Zarena's mouth and nose.

The feeling of something invading her nose was anything but welcome. The smell that came with it however brought a sharp gag from Zarena as she found herself suddenly clutching her throat as the smell seemed to influence even her taste and threatened to cause her throat to lock up. Before she could think of that though a massive claw was made to swing upward and slam solidly into Zarena's jaw with enough force to see the massive sleeper staggering backwards her footing nearly lost. The same claw came rushing towards Zarena's head once again though this time it wasn't aimed at a strike.

Zarena felt the claw taking hold of the sides of her head. The gas still filled her nose seeming to make it impossible for her to take in fresh air for the moment. There was no need for thought on this situation though. Zarena wasted no time taking hold of the claw and pushing off the ground with such force and speed that even water would have sufficed as a jumping off point. Bringing her massive feet upward she slammed both of them into the Amlgam's chest. There wasn't the satisfaction of hearing bone crunch however only the slosh of sludge being forced to the side but the relief of feeling her head released. Seconds later a rapid snort escaped Zarena expelling the gunk from her nose.

That had not been expected. As the Amalgam watched the goo being ejected from Zarena's nose it could hardly believe it. It's attack had been meant to keep her from breathing the entire fight but instead she'd expelled it in a matter of moments though it still seemed to be bothering her as she gave several more rapid snorts as if trying to clear her nose. What's more its attack had apparently done very little damage despite having lifted her from the ground. This was in fact the reality. Even for a sleeper their strength and endurance far surpassed what their mass implied. An attack that lifted them from the ground didn't always hurt them.

There had been some influence on Zarena from the Amalgam's attacks despite her recovery from them. The sudden improvement in its attack patterns assured her it was learning. As Zarena considered this change in fighting habits she made a decision and broke off contact with the Amalgam leaping away and landing roughly three strides distance away she then lowered herself into a crouch position and dug her claws deeply into the ground while her eyes focused on the Amalgam. The creature looked at her as if it was perplexed by her response and a chuckle escaped Zarena. “Sisters I'm sorry for what I'm about to do to this land but it's time to end this.”

While no one could speak with Zarena they could understand her as could the Amalgam. In response to this threat the Amalgam wasted no time raising itself back up and bracing its body for the attack. A horrific explosion seemed to shake the entire forest moments later and two massive craters appeared where Zarena had been only moments earlier. While the Amalgam believed it knew how to make the earth shift now it was made to positively tremble as Zarena moved at her true attack speed easily moving to the side of the Amalgam. None of its heads could follow her movement and soon one of them disappeared as Zarena  drove her hand into the head sinking her arm up to her elbow into the Amalgam her mystic claws disrupting the creatures very being.

Shrieks of pain resounded throughout the areas as the remaining heads were made to tremble from the pain. What had just happened? Zarena's movements had changed completely and it wasn't just one strike. Nearly the moment Zarena had sunk her arm into the Amalgam she struck it with both feet using the power of her legs to rip her arm free of the creature. As her fingers were moving throughout the Amalgam she made it a point to hook them to do as much damage as she could. Normally this would have served to rip the organs out of a living creature and from the way the Amalgam was responding it was working quite well against it.

Mira, “What was that mom! That attack Zarena just did what was it?”

Flora, “There you two are. What do you mean Mira? That was just a basic attack from a high speed sister.”

Maria, “High speed?”

A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she continued to watch Zarena. “Zarena's been holding back this entire fight to keep from destroying the land. Just look at the earth wherever her feet meet with it though. Anything her feet touch while she's moving at that speed will be destroyed. I can feel the shock waves from here. Didn't you notice Zarena's build when you looked at her though?”

Instead of responding Mira took a moment to look at Zarena. Amongst the sisters physical differences such as height and mass were limited but there was some differences. Some sisters were built more for speed and agility for striking at a weak point and then retreat. Other sisters such as Mina and Kersara were built for power. Their natural muscle mass being higher then the average sister though the two of them had pushed it far beyond the norm even for a sister built for power. It was a strange moment for Mira though as she truly looked like Zarena. “She's as small as Maria!”

Maria, “Hey!”

It was impossible for Flora to keep from giggling as she looked at her daughters. Mira was naturally thicker then Maria in terms of both muscle mass and bone mass. This granted her greater strength naturally but impaired her movement and speed to an extent. Though Flora wouldn't have defined Mira as powerfully built she was more of a moderate while Maria was what one might term a striker. “Yes. From a proportions perspective Zarena is as small as your sister. Which for the life of me I don't know where that comes from.”

Mira, “So she knows how to fight like Maria does?”

Flora, “Can't you tell? That charge she used just now that was meant for a striker type sister to allow them to put all their power into a single attack. The agility needed to carry that power while maneuvering so much is quite extensive though.” Even as she was speaking Flora watched as Zarena quickly worked her claws through the Amalgam. Instead of making simple slashes though she recognized it as a pattern meant to cut a chunk out of ones opponent. “Oh. Oh! What is that!” As she spoke Flora took hold of her nose as had both her daughters.

Maria, “I think it's the Amalgam. Zarena's dealt too much damage for it to hold itself together and I'm going to be sick. I can smell its rot.”

***************************************************************************************************

As Linod continued to channel his energy into strengthening the barrier between worlds he could feel the resistance the Amalgam was putting up to prevent this. Fortunately he wasn't alone in his task as he could feel other powers trying to keep the Amalgam's energy within the spirit realm. One of them he could see the dragon spirit feeding upon the energies. The others weren't quite so clear to him but he had a good guess as to where they were coming from. Every spirit within striking distance was without a doubt trying to claim their chunk of this power. How he wished that some of them would help strengthen the barrier though as he felt his arm shaking. “Nathan is that barrier ready?”

Nathan, “We've been ready for thirty seconds now. At this point we're just streamlining a few things. When do you believe the Amalgam will attack us?”

Linod, “I don't know but look towards the sky.”

Instead of questioning Nathan did as asked at which point he saw several bright flashes in the sky that reminded him of claws. Given how high up they were, their shape and their speed he couldn't help but smile. “Zarena is facing off against the Amalgam now. Do you need any help holding that energy back?”

Linod, “Yes will the barrier hold without you?”

Nathan, “Yes it's self sustaining at this point. Well self standing at least. What will happen if Zarena defeats the Amalgam in our world though and this much energy remains here?”

Linod, “Nothing. If she crushes the Amalgam in your world it's awareness will be disrupted. Even if it does come back here it won't have the focus to fight us and we can finish it off. I'm more concerned about what happens when this energy loses its preferred path at this moment. Please lend us a hand for now though.”

With a quick nod Nathan came to stand beside Linod and began to focus hie energy into strengthening the barrier. Immediately he felt the difference between their magics. Linod was working with the natural barrier in order to strengthen it or in this case mind it after being breached. Nathan on the other hand was more trying to place a patch on the cap which had been created. What surprised him though was how their magics seemed to interact. Had the wound been a natural one Linod would have been seeking to stitch the injury back together while Nathan would have been bandaging the wound with salve. Now both methods worked together to far more effectively cover the wound and the energy immediately showed it as it began to quake.

Linod, “I think the Amalgam just took more notice of us.”

Nathan, “What makes you so” there was no need for Nathan to finish but rather he went silent as a massive stream of lightning struck the barrier they'd only put up recently. The violent crash of the energy shook his ribcage and forced him to squint his eyes so that he could continue to see. He could hear a slight humming as the shield shook under the influence of the attack. “It's holding just fine.”

Linod, “How do you know?”

Nathan, “The sound it's making now. It's being affected but unless the barrier is screaming it means it's holding.”

***************************************************************************************************

Pain shot throughout the Amalgam as it continued to have its power restrained even while Zarena tore it apart. Alex was gone so there was no way to call upon him any longer. Most of its kobolds servants had fallen and all its generals were gone. If it retreated to the shadow realm then it couldn't leave this domain and would be faced by all the spirits, mages and shaman that had gathered there. While if it remained here it would soon fall to this beast. It would fall sooner now with its power being restricted even further by the mages. It had to find a way to counter Zarena now yet nothing came to mind. She was stronger, faster, well armed and more experienced then her. The only thing that the Amalgam had was the spells that it could cast through Alex yet this creature had been built so very resistant to magic.

What about the others though the smaller ones? The question flashed into the Amalgam's mind even as the response was being carried out. The creature outstretched several of its many limbs from different parts of its body but all pointing towards the same targets. The influence on the Amalgam's body was immediate as its flesh began to bubble as energy brimmed in those few limbs. It felt Zarena's claws meet with those limbs and only flooded more power into them the pain this resulted in was staggering but it had the desired effect. The energy continued to build as the Amalgam prepared to direct its attack towards the sisters who stood outside of the combat zone. Surely the smaller ones were more delicate then the larger though striking them wasn't what the Amalgam hoped for.

***************************************************************************************************

Flora, “Take cover!” Frustration flooded into Flora as she began to sprint away from the attack area. They had thought that moving outside of the main combat area would mean they were safe but this had never happened before. Whenever someone had been threatened it had always been a brother never before had an opponent attempted to take the sisters hostage. However, this was a unique situation and Flora cursed at herself for not considering the possibility. She was quite concerned whenever she felt something strike her back with surprising force. When the force only left what she assumed would be a deep bruise though she knew what was happening as she looked down at her daughter.

Mira had been taken along for the ride though her position was even more awkward then her mother's. Mira was currently positioned over Maria's shoulder with her tail pointed into the air. It was uncomfortable and awkward but given the situation she wasn't complaining. She did have some words for her sister though. “Run faster!”

Maria, “Trying but your weight is throwing me off balance.” Even as she was speaking Maria was adapting to the extra weight and putting on more and more speed. At least she wasn't having to carry a brother as she paid small branches and other distractions no mind. Rather she chose to plow through them even as she left several sister's behind. Unfortunately she couldn't pack all of them. Before the attack was released she heard an impact that shook the entire area though and knew what had happened even without looking. Zarena had planted herself between the sisters and the Amalgam meaning the attack was soon to come.

***************************************************************************************************

This was not a welcome sight. As Zarena braced herself to take the attack she knew that it was to come soon and a low growl escaped her as she stared at the Amalgam. No words could be exchanged as Zarena felt a massive release of energy. She could practically see the ripples running throughout the air and then she felt them meet with her body. What Zarena felt wasn't the magic itself though the Amalgam seemed to know better then to try that. Rather she felt the influence that the Amalgam had on the environment. Thousands of tiny pressure waves had been created so precisely that they seemed more like cutting edges as they moved throughout the air. The supersonic flows struck Zarena's flesh nearly engulfing her entire body as it did so.

As the flow moved over Zarena's skin it didn't rely upon a single struck to damage her. Rather the air seemed to vibrate rapidly where it met with Zarena's flesh such that it seemed a blade was being slammed against her skin thousands of times a second. There was no fear of this blade breaking though as it would continue as long as the spell was supplied with energy. The first few hundred didn't seem to do anything but soon pain began to run throughout Zarena's body as the tiny strikes formed bruises and then began to break through the skin. What was reddened skin began to bleed and then burst of blood began to raise up as the cut region was given several more strikes. No howls of pain came from Zarena though as she continued to focus on the Amalgam rage building within her even as she felt the tiny cuts engulfing her body.

A desire to move from the attack was there but Zarena knew that she couldn't. If she were to move to avoid the attack even now it would continue on towards her sisters. How many of them had escaped the attack area? Did it matter or could this spell be redirected? She didn't know so she couldn't move and had to take it for as long as she could. Yet she wasn't the only one suffering. As Zarena looked at the Amalgam she could see the influence of sustaining this spell on its body. The energy needed to push the spell to such a limit was clearly taking its effects on the Amalgam as the creature seemed to be consuming its own flesh in order to sustain the spell.

***************************************************************************************************

It was a sight that filled the sisters with rage. Zarena who had been ripping the Amalgam apart now stood between them and the attack a seemingly invulnerable wall at first. Then the color had began to appear in her fur. Zarena's gray and white fur was slowly being turned red from her own blood soaking into it. The scent of blood began to carry towards the sisters and they knew the smell of Zarena's blood and her rage. Several cries of anger and protest escaped the sisters but concern for what approaching that attack would mean for them kept them at back as well as the more sensible sisters acting as barriers.

Was this attack going to be enough to bring down Zarena? Maria didn't know and she didn't intend to find out. “We need to use the last of the shapers! Everyone aim for the Amalgam and be ready to fire. When you hear my roar use all the remaining potion you have.”

Despite the situation Flora smiled at her daughter and began to run to get into position. She had less then a thimbles worth of the potion remaining but she intended to use it. Apparently all the other sisters liked Maria's plan as they began to get into position. None of them fired by themselves feeling certain that what they had remaining wouldn't be enough to influence the Amalgam. If they all fired together then it might make a difference though. There was urgency in their movement despite this cation.

***************************************************************************************************

This was beginning to seriously hurt. Zarena could feel the attack all too well now and while no single attack felt worse then a young sister scratching at you in anger or perhaps nipping you the fact that thousands of theme engulfed her body was truly unpleasant. She needed to stop the attack so that she dug her claws into the ground and found herself trying to push towards the Amalgam. As she began to move though she found that the cuts grew all the worse whether this was due to the Amalgam becoming more desperate and increasing the rate or proximity being a factor in this attack she didn't know but she knew it was happening. Unfortunately retreating wasn't a choice. If she were to do so she knew the attack would spread and it could engulf her sisters.

Zarena's assumption about the attack growing more intense the closer one came to the source was indeed correct. The spell the Amalgam had chosen tended to spread out so that it could engulf a great many weaker enemies. However, when up close when the attack wasn't able to spread it's concentrated power could be devastating enough to a single strong foe. It was nearly the perfect attack for such a situation and Alex had been with holding it. As Alex's spirit was no longer there to hinder it the Amalgam found itself able to enjoy all the spells contained within his body. Unfortunately it could feel the energies having a negative affect on Alex's body. In time his flesh would burn out as it was forced to process so much information and she would once again be missing her mage. Fortunately the new breed stood ready and now it only had to survive this battle and its plans could continue even with set backs.

Mystic energy had to come from somewhere. Zarena knew this and in the Amalgam's case it was coming from its own flesh and blood. In time it would run out of this though and the attack would stop. Who would be the first to fall though? Zarena could feel her body beginning to shift under the attack as she struggled to block out the pain. Her eyes had been closed to protect them though she could still see the Amalgam's energies. If she could have moved to the side she could have easily avoided this attack but so long as her sisters were so close she couldn't do that. Why weren't they retreating though? Surely they could see that she needed them to fall back so that she could fight. Her answer came whenever she noted another massive wave of energy.

With its attention so focused on Zarena the Amalgam wasn't prepared for all the shapers being used against it at once. Fire and lightning met with the creature on either side and shrieks of pain escaped it as it found its energy flow suddenly disrupted. With its energy focused so completely on Zarena the flames were able to take hold in many locations and even as the shapers ceased to form mystic fires the natural one's forced the Amalgam's attention away from Zarena. This served to rapidly weaken the spell as the Amalgam strove to put out the flames the flames were soon joined by a new pain as it felt Zarena's claws rip into it once again.

***************************************************************************************************

Flora, “Fall back! We won't be used against our sister again.” Out of energy for the shapers Flora had no trouble calling the retreat especially after seeing what had just happened. They had actually been used to handicap Zarena and it was humiliating. Despite having managed to aid their sister to an extent the fact that had they not been there Zarena wouldn't have needed aid didn't set well with any of the sisters. This was perhaps the first time that Flora had truly felt ashamed her combative ability as she began to run along side of her sisters.

As strange as it was for any sister to have to retreat especially in numbers Maria didn't know what to think of the situation in the least. Since she'd developed her mutation fighting had been quite an easy task. They'd been allowed to grow larger and stronger then they had in some time as well. Yet here they were having to retreat from the battle it brought a question to her lips as she looked at Flora. “Mother if we had went without the shapers or Zarena would we have won?”

Flora, “Yes we would have. The cost would have been frightening though.”

As she ran Mira found herself biting down on her lower lip. They were being forced to fall back so they wouldn't hinder Zarena. It was upsetting and before she knew what was going on she found some moisture forming in her eyes as a feeling of shame seemed to be building up within her chest with each step she took. Before she could think about it a cry of frustration and anguish escaped her. It wasn't the only one that was heard. The decision was clearly rough on several sisters as Mira's cry was joined by many others to the point that the trees seemed to vibrate with the sound of their cries. In the end they were doing what they had to do though. Many were uncertain as to whether or not the pain was due to being forced to run or the fact that they had been used against their sister. Others wondered if it was because they hadn't realized the situation sooner.

***************************************************************************************************

A low growl escaped Zarena but before she could attack again a violent cough shook her entire body and she found herself suddenly staggering backwards as the pain of her cuts made it hard to stand. How deep were the cuts at this point? Her legs didn't seem to want to respond properly and there was a tingling running throughout her body. Had the attack poisoned her as well? It was a troubling thought but there was one thing she was certain of. Her body was trying to heal itself as she found herself taking in several rapid gasps of breath in an attempt to feed her muscles what they needed to recover. The sound of movement reached her ears and she realized they must have repaired enough for her to hear again. She had a good idea of what was going on as she heard her sister's cries. Even in her wounded state she couldn't help herself and her voice was soon added to her sisters for a moment before she focused on the Amalgam who seemed to be having trouble of its own.

The flames from the shapers weren't going out it appeared as the Amalgam struggled to put them out. Even places where the flames didn't reach seemed to be breaking apart as the Amalgam was clearly having trouble holding itself together. Between her constant attacks, the difficulty of sustaining the magic and the few attacks she'd got in before she'd needed to stop it wasn't doing any better then her it seemed. If it hadn't been able to take advantage of her sisters she would have killed it with no trouble whatsoever though and that frustrated Zarena to no end. Now she found herself having to consider pushing the attack now while her body was badly weakened or waiting for her body to recover somewhat. It was a troubling issue as she saw the fires beginning to shrink in size.

Even if she wasn't moving her body though Zarena found herself focusing on the Amalgam looking into its body and trying to decide on where to attack next. A chill ran up her spine and she suddenly made her decision as she noted a concentration of magic energies. They didn't seem to be gathering for an attack but she knew what she needed to do. Zarena's weakened legs still shattered the earth as she pushed off the ground with amazing force and thrust her right hand towards the Amalgam intending on sinking her claws deeply into the creature. She felt something slam into her stomach bringing forth a sharp gasp of pain as her wounds were further aggravated by the tendril yet it could not stop Zarena's momentum as she pushed forward and drove her claws towards the concentration. She felt her hand sink into the Amalgam and pain shot throughout her arm as her cuts were disturbed by the Amalgam's touch.

Pain continued to build in Zarena's stomach and arm even as she pushed her attack forward and then she felt her claw's pushing into the area of concentrated magic. As the energy was forcefully disrupted a sudden rush of pain shot throughout Zarena's arm and a loud roar escaped her as she felt the energy rushing through her arm. Had this been a trap of some kind? A sudden tightness caught Zarena by the arm as if to prevent her from pulling her limb free and she grew more certain of it being a trap. Her actions were chosen quickly as she pushed her feet firmly against the ground and pushed forward to drive her arm completely through the Amalgam and area of concentrated magic.

A sudden burst of heat and energy grazed Zarena's face as the Amalgam's body seemed to explode. Suddenly the energies seemed to light up the Amalgam's body even more so as if they weren't just hurting her but were also feeding the mystic flames that had remained on its form. The creature seemed to give off a screech. The first one that Zarena could hear and in many regards she wished that she hadn't. Had she just fallen into a trap like she had feared or had she cut into something else? She didn't know but one thing was for certain the Amalgam didn't seem to appreciate the situation anymore then she did. In her weakened state Zarena knew this was the greatest pain that she had felt in a long time.

***************************************************************************************************

She had found Alex's body. In her weakened and unfocused state the Amalgam had made the mistake of allowing the beast to find Alex's body and she had pierced it. Apparently they were both feeling the consequences of Zarena's actions though as the Amalgam found itself having trouble controlling the mystic energy it had been using Alex's body to do so. It wasn't as if the affects were all bad. Apparently the out of control energies were having quite a profound affect on Zarena as well. There was one unfortunate fact to all of that though. The energy was effectively what composed the Amalgam's body as it was being used up so was its body. Despite all of this it was determined to hold onto Zarena and insure that she endured as much of the damage as possible. A sudden lurch forward from Zarena told the Amalgam something was coming though.

A scream of rage that seemed to cause the earth and trees to vibrate at once escaped Zarena and she pushed forward. The Amalgam felt the burden to hold onto Zarena increase as did the pain and then it felt something slip. It had been prepared for Zarena to pull away but as she lurched forward the creature felt its body yielding and the disruption grew all the more intense as Zarena's mystic claws cut further into the creature's body flawing it all the more. A sound similar to a massive amount of air breaking free of tar could be heard seconds later as Zarena's suddenly jerked her hand free and took several steps backwards nearly falling over her own feet several times as she did so.

***************************************************************************************************

Instinctively Zarena held her hand to her body protectively even risking a glance down at the limb to see its condition. She wasn't happy to see that all her fur was now missing as was a good deal of her skin. How long had it been sense she'd last been burned? This was only a temporary distraction though as Zarena turned her eyes back towards the Amalgam and watched as the energy seemed to bubble up out of the creature's body running rampant over and throughout its being catching fire to several location. Zarena wasn't certain what she had hit but she knew that it was important as she watched the creature's body falling apart. Instead of moving to attack though she braced herself to evade should the creature make any last ditch attempts to strike her.

While Zarena watched the Amalgam several sisters could hear the battle and now looked towards the combat zone wondering what was happening. A powerful temptation ran throughout the crowd to run back and see what was going on but none listened to it. They knew better. Instead their roars seemed to fill the air each one carrying the same question. It was a cry for wounded sisters to respond to. Many began to smile when they heard Zarena respond despite the confirmation she had been hurt. There was no distress her voice and that put many to rest despite the feeling of the mystic energies running throughout the region. Not all were at peace though.

Mira, “What's happening to our brothers? They're still in the shadow realm!”

Flora, “I don't know Mira but we have to trust in them to see themselves through this. We can't go back now.”

***************************************************************************************************

This was not actually the worse case scenario. It was a strange thought to Linod as he drove both his hands into the ground and worked to take hold of the massive wave of energy that rushed towards then and direct it into the land itself. Fortunately the energy deprived land was eager to accept the energy as was the spirits which had gathered in the region. As he listened to the sound of the barrier responding to the backlash though he had to ask. “What does that sound mean?”

Nathan, “It means the barrier is doing its job! We're working on backing it up right now though.”

Linod, “So it's suppose to fluctuate like that?”

Nathan, “Under these situations yes. It either binds or it breaks.” Despite his words Nathan found himself mentally hoping that the flow of energy would stop soon. They had been working to stop the flow of energy to the Amalgam so they'd been prepared for a backlash but this was towards the upper limits of what they expected. “I believe the Amalgam was killed!”

Before Linod could respond something caught his eyes. “Nathan there is a crack in the shield!”

Nathan, “I know we're trying to mind it. How much longer can this go on?”

Linod, “You're not sounding very confident.”

There wasn't time to respond. Before Nathan could even think what to say a massive figure appeared before them with its head arched high into the sky as the energy flowed into it. Nathan had never seen the figure before but he had a good idea of whom it was as the creature was clearly a wolf. His believe was confirmed as Linod responded though he wasn't expecting the tone of his response.

Linod, “Nightfang it's good to see you old friend! Especially in this situation.”

At first the wolf spirit said nothing but continued to soak up the energy. “You as well. After after all your presence means you can help me absorb this energy.”

Typically Linod would not agree to offer a spirit a free service. Due to the nature of the situation he was made to grin. “In return for you shielding us.”

Nightfang, “Naturally.”

Chapter 28 by happiest_in_shadows

***************************************************************************************************

While Zarena watched the sight before her she gave a low groan and tried to raise herself to a standing position. With no fear for her life immediately present though her body didn't respond as quickly as she would have liked and she hardly had taken a single step before she found herself needing to rest again. Despite that she could feel energy flowing into her body and for a moment her eyes were made to widen as her right hand reached up and covered her right eye. The receiver Nathan had hidden near her right eye. It was still channeling energy into her body. The revelation was a little frightening as she looked at the Amalgam. How much had the steady flow of energy helped her this day? The question made her shiver as she took in a deep breath.

By now the Amalgam's body had began to crumble it's massive claw had fallen free from its body and the flames were moving to engulf its entire being. Zarena could still hear screams but they were softer now and seemed to be coming from every part of the creature's body. If she had more strength she would have lent the flames aid but in her current condition she felt it best to recover. Her healed ears reminded her of something though as she could still hear the sound of wings in the sky and she turned her eyes towards them to see the kobolds flying away from the area. A low growl escaped her as she saw the creatures. There wasn't anything she could do in her current state and she felt confident that her sisters had done all they could as well. Perhaps it was time to call her sisters back and let them know what had happened.

Zarena, “My sisters the enemy is receding the battle is ours! Please return and make sure none of it remains after this day!” As she finished speaking Zarena released a massive roar to summon all her sisters to her location. She felt confident that her words would carry to them but the roar wouldn't be quieted.  “You were one of the most dangerous creatures I've encountered in a long time. We'll have to work to make sure nothing like you ever invades our forest again.”

***************************************************************************************************

As Maria dashed ahead of her sisters she couldn't truly contain her excitement. As she burst through the brushes though that excitement was made to fade. While she had seen the influence of the Amalgam's attack upon Zarena she hadn't been prepared for this. Zarena's fur was a mixture of red, gray and white instead of its regular gray and white. To make the situation worse there was far more red then there was gray or white. A gust of wind carried a smell to her and for a moment Maria had to fight her body's gag reflex as she looked at the great smoldering mounds of flesh. Her eyes were brought back to Zarena before she could think about the smell too much.

A tremble ran throughout Zarena's body that shook the entire landscape it seemed. Her body was so badly damaged that she was having trouble holding herself steady. Maria's legs began to work before her mind could catch up to them and she found herself dashing towards the massive sleeper. The fact that she found herself running into Zarena's shadow long before she had actually reached her didn't slow down her movements.

Maria, “Zarena are you alright!”

Despite the unpleasantness of hearing the Amalgam scream Zarena was glad to hear Maria's voice as she turned her head to look towards her. “I'll live if that's what you want to know and I'll heal but this really hurts. I don't believe there is a centimeter of my body that doesn't have some degree of cut on it.” As Maria neared her Zarena moved her hand up slightly in a halt position. “Stay back Maria.”

Maria, “What? Why?”

Despite the situation Zarena was made to chuckle as she looked at her tiny sister. “I'm kind of scared that I'm going to topple over at any moment here.”

For a moment Maria did nothing but looked around. A long sigh escaped her and she felt her claws extend before she began sprinting towards the nearest remains of the Amalgam. She had been asked to insure that the Amalgam didn't reform and that's what she intended to do. She could already hear other sister's coming into the devastated land and  knew they would be doing the same soon. At least after they managed to overcome their gag reflexes. As she ran towards the nearest pile of goo though her mind turned to their brothers and she found herself wondering what condition they were in now. Had the battle ended for them as well or were they still fighting?”

***************************************************************************************************

Linod took in a deep breath as he set down and looked towards the mountain. Nightfang stood a distance away either surveying the region for any last bits of the enemy or perhaps just processing the energy he'd absorbed. Thoughts of energy turned his eyes to the sky where he noted a dragon soaring above them. He wasn't sure what her intentions were for the moment but as long as they remained together he doubted she would attack. Especially with the powerful wolf spirit near by. “So Nathan do you have energy enough to open a gate back to our world?”

Nathan, “No where near enough I'm working on it though.” As he spoke Nathan pulled a small bottle from his side and opened it up. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to regain mystic energy. Rather it was a simple bottle of water. “Do you want a drink of water?”

Linod, “I'm good for the moment. That was not fun. I wonder what that was just now.”

Nathan, “I have a few good guesses. My first one would be that we just experienced a massive blood sacrifice on the enemy's part.”

Linod, “It sure felt like one. So do you believe those sisters of yours even realized how much of that we were holding back?”

A slight chuckle escaped Nathan before he took a sip from the bottle. “Probably not. I hope that they're alright though they're probably worried about us.” As he spoke Nathan began to look around as if trying to guess where Zarena was. She must not be fighting anymore as he couldn't see her claws flashing into the spirit world from time to time. “I'm sure that the fight is over for them though. Hey Desmon you're looking remarkably well.”

As Desmon approached the group of shaman and mages he gave his head a slight shake. “I wish I could say the same for you all. You're looking pretty darn beat up. Perhaps I should cut myself a few dozen times so that your sisters won't believe I let you do all the fighting. They'd be mad at me if they thought I was slacking while you all struggled for your lives.”

Nathan, “You're probably right about that one. Where were you anyway?”

Desmon, “I was fighting alongside Nightfang working on dealing with the other generals. We would have gotten to you sooner to help with the storm but we had a few to take care of.”

Nathan, “That is right. There was at least two other generals wasn't there?”

Desmon, “Yes and they were acting pretty desperate to reach you all. I'm guessing they wanted to prevent you from restricting the flow of energy to their master. Mm as you're all still here though I'm thinking you plan on helping with the clean up. Shouldn't you be getting back to your sisters first though?”

A low groan escaped Nathan as he placed a hand on his forehead. “The clean up. I'm not even sure where to begin if we're going to try to clean this place up. I believe it'd be best just to burn everything to ash and then work on regrowing the region then simply try to siphon the poison out.”

Linod, “I would tend to agree with you.”

Nathan, “Really? I would have thought you shaman would be against burning part of a forest to ash.”

Linod, “No that's mages who don't believe things should ever change. Such happenings are a natural part of the forest's life cycle after all.”

For a moment Nathan went silent and looked at Linod. A grin formed on his face as he shook his head. “You may be right about that.”

***************************************************************************************************

A low moan escaped Zarena as she shifted her legs and settled down trying to aggravate as few wounds as possible. It didn't seem overly successful as she looked around. Something did catch her eyes which made her smile and she looked to her sisters. “Our brothers have gathered a bit to my right over there.” As she spoke Zarena moved her arm to indicate the direction. “They seem to be settling down they probably don't have enough strength left to cross over so they'll need a little while.”

Flora, “Are they alright?”

Zarena, “It's hard to say sister. I can only see energy and when they're that exhausted some of them are hard to make out or be sure it's more then one brother I'm seeing. Especially with the orcs around them. They seem to be interacting with a powerful spirit of some sort but there doesn't seem to be any hostility. I can clearly make out Nathan and he doesn't seem to be concerned.”

Mira “Can you make out Carter by any chance?”

Zarena, “Unfortunately I'm not yet familiar enough with his aura. They don't seem to be gathering any corpses though. What about us?”

Silence ran over the battlefield as the sisters began to look around each one checking to find familiar faces they knew had been on the battlefield with them. “Inia? Inia! Tamia! Havena!”

Havena, “I'm still with you Jinah so stop yelling like that. I'm just a bit not all here.”

As Haven called out more voices joined those calling for lost sisters. Each time Maria heard a voice respond she felt more relaxed but when some voices didn't respond she found herself growing concerned and turned to look to her mother who was walking over to her. “We lost some.”

Flora, “We knew that we would.” As she spoke Flora made her way over to Maria and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Now it's time to start figuring out exactly who we lost.”

Maria, “When did we lose them? We were all watching one another and I was constantly going around and.”

Flora, “Enough Maria. Even you can't watch everyone all the time even with your speed you can't be everywhere at once.”

Maria, “I didn't hear any of them calling for help though and your alright and Mira is alright. You're barely even injured. So how do we have sisters missing?”

Mira, “Did we lose them when we retreated or before that?”

Flora, “Which retreat do you mean? Daughters please try to calm yourself and just listen for those who are answering back. Even those who don't give voice may not notice their names we do have injured after all and after battle it can be hard to listen when you're nursing an injury that nearly took a limb off. There will be bodies to be taken care of though and we'll know what took them from us when we recover them. Actually, Maria as you aren't injured would you please begin searching the battlefield for the fallen? Just go where the smell of our blood is the strongest.”

Maria, “Sure mom.” As she spoke Maria didn't find herself dashing away but walking and smelling the air carefully. This was not a fun time.

Mira, “I'll help her mom. This isn't something that should be done with haste.”

Flora, “Thank you.”

***************************************************************************************************

As Dan looked over the tomes he had to grin. “When I was a child I imagined places like this would be dark so that you had to get right up close to the books to see what you're looking at. Now you still have the vast stone fortress all around you and the heavy metal protective gates but where is the darkness?”

Mirin, “We had that replaced with good lightning when we realized that reading in the dark hurts your eyes and can lead to quite a head ache.” Mirin had a wide grin on his face as he looked back at Dan. “How is the search going?”

Dan, “What about this one?” As he spoke Dan drew one of the books from the shelves.

Mirin, “Huh that does look like an interesting read. If you don't mind take it back to the table and we'll check it out once we're done searching. I'm certain that if the spirit hunters would have left anything behind it would be here. Hopefully they'll have left enough so that we can begin reviving them.”

Dan, “Hey Mirin. I know Zarena wants us to but what do you think about that? Who would even begin the training to become a spirit hunter? I'm guessing it isn't the safest position there is.”

Mirin, “Well me for one. I'm certain that other brothers will step up to begin the training.”

Dan, “And if it requires someone of a younger age group?”

Mirin, “Hey now I'm not that much older then you.”

Dan, “Yeah but what if the training is meant to begin while they're still a child? You know magic has an easier time shaping a child's body then an adults.”

For a moment Mirin went silent and looked up to the roof. “My body has been shaped by my magic for quite some time now. So I should still be suitable and if I'm not I'm sure some other brothers would be. This doesn't seem to be the type of thing you can just throw a child into after all.”

Dan, “That's true.”

Mirin, “What have we hear? The shadows, the hunters and the bond. This sounds promising.”

Dan, “It sounds interesting but don't you believe a little creepy?”

Mirin, “Well yeah. Okay I believe that's enough reading material let's go set down and see what we can find before Mina comes down here to snatch you away.”

For a moment Dan said nothing but began to walk towards the table with Mirin after a few steps he couldn't keep it in any longer. “I'm surprised that she didn't come down here to get me the second you said that.”

Mirin, “So am I. Would you believe that they even sneak up on me? I don't even believe they realize they're doing it either they're just naturally disposed to walk quietly. The fact that they walk quietly even at their scale is surprising.”

Dan, “Have you ever considered that they might not have been designed that way for stealth? Rather is it possible they were meant to be light on their feet so at their larger sizes they wouldn't leave a massive path of destruction regardless of where they went.”

Mirin, “I've actually had that same thought before! Perhaps they simply adapted their careful steps to be stealthy once their size became small enough that it became practical. Did you notice it when Zarena was walking the way her foot moves to diminish the force of the impact from her steps?”

Dan, “I can't say I was watching her feet.”

Mirin, “I've noticed it with other sisters but with Zarena it's so obvious due to her scale.”

For a moment Dan said nothing but looked through the book he was holding. “I wonder how far we'd have to read until we recognized we'd found the right book. Mirin don't these books contain restricted information?”

Mirin, “Indeed they do. I'm pretty sure that this isn't the book.” As he spoke Mirin set the book he had been holding down and picked up another one. “Just check through as many pages as it takes to be certain that it isn't the book you're looking for. Once that has been done move on to another book.”

Dan, “Alright.”

***************************************************************************************************

Kelah took in a deep breath as she looked out towards the beach. It was covered by the body of the water kobolds and creatures of the forest even some her own. “Ten percent.”

Kersara, “Is that what you lost?”

Kelah, “Yeah we lost ten percent of the orcs we brought with us. Unfortunately that's nearly sixty percent of the ones who were new to the unit. How about you?”

Kersara, “Two. I lost two of my sisters in the fighting at least I haven't been able to find one of them.”

Kelah, “What about the one you were able to find?”

Kersara, “I found her a little while ago. Apparently she to got hit by the wave whenever it came ashore unlike some of the others though she didn't have any of your orcs to cover her after being hit.”

Kelah, “I see. I'm afraid I don't know what that means to your people entirely. I know it must hurt though.”

Kersara, “It's rare that we lose a sister so yes it does hurt. I wish I knew how the wave caught her though. Those sisters were struck were only struck while attempting to flee with some orcs or while shielding them. However, when I found her body I couldn't find any of your people with her.”

Kelah, “Kersara if she shielded any of my people they wouldn't have abandoned her.”

Despite the situation a grin formed on Kersara's face. “I have no doubt about that. They were no signs of your orcs with her though. What was she doing out there during an attack and how did she fail to escape from the wave? I guess that's something I'm going to have to wonder about. Right now though we need to find the second missing sister.”

Kelah, “Is it possible that she was swept out into the ocean? If that's the case then I don't believe there is any hope of finding her remains.”

Kersara, “You're probably right. It's strange though I smelt.” For a moment Kersara went silent and took in a deep breath. “I smelt both of their scents in the same location and it was rather strong.”

Kelah, “Do you believe that they were together?”

Kersara, “Could it been that they were doing something during the attack that kept them from noticing the wave? That or it at least delayed their reactions long enough for the wave to reach them?” For a moment a low growl escaped Kersara. “I don't like to think about that to be honest.  Kelah is there anyway that you could ask the spirits what happened during that fight?”

Kelah, “I could. I could ask the spirits of death in the region if they know anything. Right after the battle one of them might know something. They might not be honest though Kersara and the price could be rather high.”

Kersara, “Please Kelah could you do this for me? I want to know why they died at least for when I go home and I need to know if indeed two of them are dead.”

Kelah, “Sure. I'll consult the spirits and see what I can find out. There was a lot of death here Kersara so I might not be able to get a clear idea of what happened even with the battle being recent. Please keep that in mind when I consult the spirits of death. Often they don't care what died only that something died. If you and your sisters weren't such powerful beings I would say there is no chance of them recognizing their deaths as even remotely significant.”

Kersara, “I will keep that in mind.”

***************************************************************************************************

It was rare that a sister died. Their live spans were long and their bodies were quite powerful. As Maria looked at the corpses though she took in a deep breath feeling her chest growing heavier as she looked at the corpses. They caused so much death throughout the forest but seeing their own dead was still difficult. Five corpses had been recovered and laid out before the sister who found themselves looking at them. Even Zarena's eyes were drawn to the corpses.

Litia, “Ridon is going to be so torn up.” As she spoke Litia found herself covering her eyes both in order to hide her own tears and to keep from looking at the corpse. One of her close friends was amongst the dead and Ridon had nearly been her mate. They spent so much time together that some assumed they were mates. If it wasn't for their occasional forays  with other sisters and brothers none would have doubted they were mates.

Mira, “Yeah but I don't know what to say.” As she finished speaking Mira felt a hand come to rest on her shoulder and found herself looking at her mother.

Flora had been around long enough to see sisters dieing from age and battle. For a species that numbered less then two thousand thought including brothers, children and the elderly even losing a few of their numbers was hard to take. Especially when one considered how long it would take to replace those numbers. “None of us are invulnerable. Do we know how they died?”

Maria, “As far as we can tell they were smothered. I found two of them covered up in the earth apparently the kobolds managed to pull them under and the thin air finished them off.”

Flora, “I see. Were they off by themselves?”

Maria, “I believe so.”

For a moment Flora took in a deep breath then she walked over to the bodies. Overall the bodies were mostly intact dieing of suffocation had seen to that. “At least we were able to recover their bodies. If they did indeed die because they were allowed to be alone then we've forgotten much. It seems that it's time that we begin training again and relearn to fight as a team instead of individuals.”

No one bothered arguing with Flora though another keeper did walk over to join her. Stella stood next to her friend for a moment as she looked at the bodies. She could remember watching three of the five as young sisters running around and playing together. They were still rather young in her eyes. “We need to prepare the bodies to travel whenever our brothers return. We're not going to leave them here.”

Zarena, “I'll carry them back to the village so that they can be properly tended to.”

Flora, “Thank you Zarena. Do you have any news in regards to our brothers?”

Zarena, “Yes they've changed locations and began to gather energy I believe that they're going to return to our world soon.”

***************************************************************************************************

It had taken a while to gather enough energy to begin opening a portal back to the natural world though Nightfang had offered to provide them with enough energy  to do so.  Linod had declined saying that the price for such a favor would still be quite steep. The brothers had declined as well taking the time to recover their injuries as best they could in order to prevent the sisters from worrying too much. Unfortunately some wounds were too deep to heal entirely with their limited energies and time and they were all covered in the scent of blood. This was considered alright though if they came back perfectly intact there would be no way the sisters would believe them when they explained what had happened.

The feeling of the barrier between worlds opening was quite welcoming to everyone involved though Nightfang moved away from the gap. Nathan and Linod both held their places on the side of the gap waiting for the others to pass through. While they were exiting the two found themselves looking around for any hostile spirits. As they did so Linod was the first to speak. “It seems the dragon has finished watching us for now.”

Nathan, “I was worried I'd just lost track of her. Do you believe she would have attacked us if Nightfang hadn't remained?”

Linod, “I don't believe she would have but I don't trust her not to either. Come now everyone back to our own realm of being. Make sure you don't leave anything behind. We don't want the spirits finding anything that they could use to find us.”

No one said a word as they passed through the barrier. Even if they weren't the ones holding open the barrier it was quite a destabilizing event. Once on the other sides it was the brothers who showed the greatest relief as they found themselves surrounded by the sisters. The orcs for their part would have recoiled if there was a place to fall back to not being quite comfortable with their allies at the moment. There was no room to retreat though and no time though as the moment the brothers began to exist the gateway the brothers were snatched up and the orcs along with them.

Each time a brother stepped through the sisters knew that one of them had made it back to them and if they couldn't grab one of the brothers to hug they'd take hold of an orc. Given the disorienting affects of passing through the gateway some of the orcs responded to this instinctively and began to struggle but the sisters seemed to pay them no mind. In their energy depleted state they had no real strength to resist. This was perhaps unfortunate for the first few through as they found themselves snatched up by the most energetic of the sisters. It was also a slight blessing to Nathan and Linod who passed through last.

Linod, “I had nightmares about this you know.” As he looked around Linod couldn't help but grin as he noted the sisters completely surrounding them. If they had ill intention towards his orcs they wouldn't even last a moment.

Nathan, “Well don't worry about that right now. From the way they're acting the only risks we face is being hugged to death.”

Zarena, “Let me help you with that.” As she spoke Zarena reached down and picked up both Linod and Nathan quickly adjusting her hand so that they were setting in her palm as she did so. “I'm glad that you made it back Nathan.”

Nathan, “Me to. What happened on this side though Zarena? There was a massive amount of energy flowing from the spiritual world into the physical and I saw signs of you fighting. Plus well. You don't look like you're in great shape.”

Zarena, “We lost some of our sisters in the fighting Nathan and I was cut up rather badly. Well I suppose was isn't the right word at the moment my bodies hurting quite a bit  but I can feel it healing. I would love it if I could gorge myself on our enemy to help with my recovery but I can't bring myself to eat this thing.”

Nathan, “I see. How many did we lose?”

Zarena, “Five. We lost five of our sisters and one of them was a keeper.”

Nathan said nothing at first but took in a deep breath. Compared to the enemy the numerical loss was extremely minor. However, when your entire society only numbered around two thousand and had an extremely low birth rate five could mean quite a lot. “Zarena this is Linod the leader of the orcs that helps us in the spiritual plain.”

Linod, “Please to meet you Zarena.”

Zarena, “You as well and thank you for allying with our brothers. I imagine your combined strength is one of the reason you returned to us now.”

Linod, “I believe that you're right.” As he was speaking Linod chose to make no mention of the energy they'd kept restrained in the spiritual world. He would save that for another time when it might actually be needed. There was no reason for this massive lady to learn her injuries could have been far worse if the Amalgam had full access to the energy from the spiritual plain. 

Zarena, “Perhaps you'll tell me about it before I go to sleep. Before then we need to return our sisters to their home. Linod if you want a few of us can take you and your orcs back to your village or you can come back to ours and we'll transport you back once you've had time to recover. In all honesty we would prefer if we could return to our home first.”

For a moment Linod said nothing. Then he gave a nod. “I would prefer to return to my village. I'm certain that you fear an attack upon your home but that concerns me as well. As we sided with you it is possible that the Amalgam had struck us while we were weakened.”

Zarena, “I understand. I need several guardians to volunteer to see the orcs home and keep in mind that they lent their strength to our brothers when we needed it.”

Flora, “I don't believe guardians are appropriate Zarena. Any who have a mate or close brother to return to you may go. Any one else you're coming with me.” As she spoke Flora retrieved two of the orcs from her other sisters. She could hear some light grumbling but many sisters were already stepping forward.

***************************************************************************************************

Nadia took in a deep breath as she looked over the burnt buildings. The fires had been put out by those sisters who had rushed towards the village when they smelt the smoke. “Well it doesn't look that bad.”

Rita, “The alchemist shop doesn't seem to have been damaged neither was the dining hall. What happened with the other buildings though?”

Instead of responding right away Nadia took a little time to move some of the burnt remains about examining them carefully as she did so. “Honestly I believe the buildings weren't that well maintained. After all it's not like we gave them the same level of attention.”

A long sigh escaped Rita as she gave a nod. “I'm just glad that none of the really important buildings were lost. Oh the sisters who work on making clothes for our brothers are going to be so upset though. Nearly everything they'd left in the building is ashes.”

Nadia, “I somehow doubt our brothers will be as upset as they are.”

Rita, “Why do you say that?”

A wide grin formed on Nadia's face. It truly amazed her at times how rarely her sisters noticed their brother's dislike for many of their clothes. “It means that the second batch of clothing will be more refined and require less breaking in before they become comfortable.”

Rita, “That's true. I'm going to be less happy about this when I actually have to help them rebuild aren't I?”

Now it was impossible for Nadia to keep from giggling as she looked at the guardian. “Yes I imagine that is true. Look on the bright side though. This will give you all a chance to plan the market area all over and perhaps move some buildings around. I might be a little too large to enjoy eating at the dining hall these days however oh actually.” For a moment Nadia went silent and looked around. “I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later. We may as well take this chance to make plan for the new market area in order to accommodate everyone at their larger scales. So see the kobolds just saved you some trouble.”

***************************************************************************************************

Following Dan's trail was easy enough for Mina she knew his sent so well. In a clean environment like the library it was laughable. As Mina made her way down the halls though she found herself wondering why Dan had journeyed to such a deep level of the library. The fact that one required permission to go past the last door she noted made her even more curious. She could smell Mirin was with him so she had no doubt that Dan had been granted permission but the why still interested her. As she'd grown closer she could hear their conversation and even the turning of pages. Before they'd come into view she already knew what they were doing.

Dan, “I see. So they began exposing their bodies to mystic energy in advance to make traveling through the veil easier.”

Mirin, “I don't know if the word exposing is appropriate. These levels. They're strong enough to cause magic poisoning in those who don't respond to it well. Even I wouldn't want to try casting a spell after being exposed to such levels of energy. If this is how they began preparing people to become a spirit hunter I'm worried about the later lessons.”

Mina, “You don't say?”

Dan had a grin on his face as he turned to watch his massive mate walking towards them a smile on her face. “Hey there lovely. How are things going topside?”

Mina, “We lost less of the village then some believed but still enough to have some very angry sisters. Most of the brothers seem pretty well exhausted and are having a lay down. Joseph found himself a nice bench and seems to have went to sleep. Hey my cuddle bug? Are your bruises still hurting you?”

Dan, “That's been taken care of. Mirin patched me up a little while ago so I could focus on research.”

Mina, “Thank you Mirin.”

Mirin, “You're welcome. Mina I hate to asks this but would you mind leaving Dan here for a while? I need help searching through these documents and he's the only brother I know who's available and not about to fall over.”

Mina, “Well I don't mind if he helps you but I don't plan on leaving just like that. Would you mind telling me what you're researching though?”

Dan, “We've found some of the training exercises that the original spirit hunters used to prepare themselves. So far what we've found has shown us why the sisters of the past insisted that they stop using such methods. I imagine you heard the part about exposure to spiritual energies.”

Mina, “Yeah. You're not going to ask us to let you use methods that have a chance of killing you are you? Even one in one hundred brothers would be too much.”

Mirin, “I don't believe you have to worry about that Mina. They also include descriptions of detoxing methods and steps taken to insure that they wouldn't die. The rough estimate they offered is that only one in ten thousand brothers would be killed during to the exposure though injury is far more likely. Oddly it's suggest that trainees spend time with sisters after the training sessions in order to cleanse their bodies.”

Mina, “You mean they were using us like sponges to soak up the excess energy?”

Mirin, “Well yes. That's not the only time they involve the sisters in the training though which is rather surprising. Apparently they actually had them practice sparring with sisters in order to learn to predict their enemies moves. They knew it wasn't possible or at least not likely one of them could match a sisters speed or reaction time but by learning to observe an opponent and predict the attack they could have a similar affect. This was apparently considered invaluable for dealing with spirit beings who don't always behave in a predictable manner.”

Mina,  “I always imagined the spirit hunters as being very secretive and not letting the sisters know how they were training. I mean. I don't mean to be insulting but we know that's how you do things now to keep us from interfering. I can't say we're very different though.”

Mirin, “Those meetings of yours we don't hear anything about? Yeah we know. What I've seen so far indicates that the spirit hunters were open about their training though and even intentionally involved their sisters. I'm afraid that might be one of the reasons they were shut down though. They probably believed that by letting you see and be part of their training the sisters would relax and be less resistant to it. Then again we shouldn't assume that it was your doing alone. Zarena seemed to assume that it was the sisters who were the primary instigators when it came to the hunters removal but I'm not sure how much of a fight the brothers put up. Still, this can't be from the original spirit hunters. These books training methods involves training with sisters after all. The originals wouldn't have had that choice.”

Mina, “Mirin do you really want to find the methods of the originals?”

For a moment Mirin said nothing but looked down at the books. “I suppose these hunters did well enough for our people. I would still like to find the original writings but this should work for the time being. Mina would you help me find a way to present this to your sisters along with Sora? I'm sure she'll be willing to help me as well. I need to make this as palatable as possible despite Zarena's aid to insure that it sticks after all.”

Mina's only immediate response was to pick up the book and begin looking through the pages. She didn't bother reading everything in detail but she did find herself noting certain keywords. “They were very careful to detail the injury and fatality rates during each stage of training weren't they?”

Mirin, “Yes they were.”

A low groan escaped Mina before she set the book back down. “Okay Mirin, I'll help you present this to my sisters in the best possible way. I'm not really certain if there is a way to make them like it but with everything that has happened they won't be able to argue against it. Have you finished reading what you've found so far?”

Mirin, “Not yet. Dan and I have barely scratched the surface really. Is there something you want to know?”

Mina, “Yeah what's the total chance of someone dieing during the training?”

Mirin, “To become what they considered a master well. One in fifty died during the training process, two out of five was badly injured and well anyone who didn't succeed received minor injuries.”

Mina, “You said to become a master.”

Mirin, “Indeed, I haven't gotten that far yet but apparently the final stages of development to become a true master guaranteed at the very least injury in the case of failure and for many the injury was rather severe. It could even cause death despite safety measures being taken.”

Dan, “Mirin I believe I know why that is. The final stage of the training involved branding the person with mythrial markings during some kind of ritual. If the person responded poorly to the markings it's little wonder that they would kill them. Actually I don't believe branding is the right word. It's more like the mythril was fused with their skin.”

Mirin, “That would explain why there is no escaping without injury in the case of failure.”

Mina, “Dan how do you know that?”

Dan, “Here they've listed the different levels of spirit hunters and what each level involved. It also gives various statics. Apparently less then one in a thousand could actually obtain the master level. Given what was needed to bring that person to the final level though this isn't really surprising. Economics alone would prevent many from trying. I don't believe we could even attempt to put someone through the ritual with the limited amount of mythril we have.”

Mina, “I see. How about you don't mention the masters to my sisters? Those who become curious will probably learn of them but this isn't the type of thing you want to bring up.”

Mirin, “Yeah that sounds like a good idea.”

***************************************************************************************************

Kelah took in a deep breath as she felt the spirits of death surrounding her reaching out to her. There was a rush of energy as they neared her encouraging her to take hold of her weapon and strike out at those around her. It brought a grin to her face. Many assumed that spirits of death always sought to end your life. In her experience they were hardly so simple. The more powerful spirits of death didn't try to end the life of a single person but rather would seek to encourage an already powerful warrior to end the life of others. The rewards were apparently far greater then just ending a single life. She could easily resist such urges though.

Spirit, “Tell me death bringer. Why do you draw us here so openly? Is there someone you still wish to end on this battlefield and you require aid?”

Kelah, “No. There were two mighty beast on this forest humanoid in mind though. They died recently and I want to know how they died. I want to speak with the spirit who fed upon them.”

Spirit, “A promise must be made first and a price paid.”

Kelah, “I promise I will bring no harm to the spirit or spirits who fed upon them for feeding upon them and I am willing to offer five days worth my own energy over a month if the information is good.”

Instead of responding right away the spirit looked upon Kelah. “No one spirit fed upon them but we fought for that energy. None of us have a clear idea of what happened to them but all of us know a piece.”

Kelah, “I see. I can not extend that offer to many spirits. Only one is suitable. Do you believe you have enough information to earn the reward? I doubt you would have come to me if you didn't believe you did.” As she was speaking Kelah noticed an expression on the spirit's face that seemed like a grin.

Spirit, “Make a promise with me now that if the information is sufficient you will uphold your deal. Make this promise upon your contract with Nightfang himself.”

Kelah, “I swear that should your information be sufficient you will have the payment on the pain of breaking my tie with Nightfang should I fail.” As she was speaking Kelah could fill something taking hold of her. She knew that these words were far more then simple words. Rather they carried the same power as  a spell as the bond between her and this spirit of death was formed.

Spirit, “Very well. What you truly seek to know is how they died so I will tell you this first. One turned on the other and struck her when the enemy moved against them. The one who died was not able to escape the wave due to this blow.”

Kelah couldn't help but groan. There was a moment she was grateful Kersara couldn't hear the spirit's side of the conversation. “I see. Did the other die as well?”

Spirit, “I do not know. Her death was not here if she did.”

Kelah, “Can you tell me what led up to the fight?”

Spirit, “Only that there was great anger in the beginning it was not an anger of passion. It was the type of anger that comes with waiting and watching.”

Kelah, “I see. Let me here every little bit you know.”

***************************************************************************************************

Kersara, “They turned on one another!” As Kersara responded to Kelah's words she couldn't keep the rage out of her voice. Every muscle in her body flexed and she dug her toes deeply into the sand as if to anchor her legs in place to prevent herself from running off in search of the remaining sister. That wasn't what kept her place though. Rather the look in Kelah's eyes held her stationary.

There had been a moment when Kelah had been truly worried she'd have to use her ax to defend herself. It wasn't surprising that Kersara was quite angry by this news though. “The spirit I spoke to was one of the ones that fed off of her life energy and had been near by when the battle began. He said that there was anger there but it wasn't an act of passion. Kelah I think the killer in this case had been waiting for a time to attack your sister and took upon the opportunity.”

Fights amongst the sisters weren't exactly uncommon especially when competing for a male. However, these never reached the point of attempting to kill one another. Rather it was more of a display to prove yourself more suitable to be that males protector. Murder amongst the sisters was almost unheard of after all it was almost impossible for the murderer to hide what they'd done. Unfortunately it seemed one of them had believed that the middle of a war zone was a perfect time to risk it and now she was down two sisters even if the second one was alive. “Did the spirit say why it happened?”

Kelah, “He didn't know anything about that.”

Instead of responding right away Kersara found herself turning to her side and lowering herself into a seated position. As she did so she couldn't help the growl that escaped her lips. “I need a moment Kelah to let my head clear. I can feel my mind fogging right now. Just give me a moment and tell me what debt I need to repay for this information. Just give me a little time to gather myself.”

***************************************************************************************************

Maria, “Joseph!”

The suddenness of Maria's words hitting Joseph's ears made him jump despite his exhausted body. He couldn't jump very high though as he struggled to look towards Maria. He didn't have to worry about that as he felt a set of hands slip under him and lift him from his seat. “Maria you're alright.”

Instead of responding right away Maria pressed Joseph's body to herself and looked down into his eyes. “Of course I am! I was so worried about you whenever I saw the village upon my return.  Joseph are you alright?”

Joseph, “Maria I'm a little sore right now and you're squeezing me a little tight.” There was a bit of an odd moment for Joseph as the moment he said the word sore he felt Maria's grip relax and the pain began to fade before he was even finished. It made him grin as he looked up into her sapphire eyes.

Maria, “What happened to you?”

Joseph, “I was given a word so that I join in on the battle. I actually fought alongside of Nora or more like I fought in her hand. She pushed me to my limit though and well the human body only does well with so much mystic energy running through it. My muscles are kind of beat up.”

Maria, “Well you don't appear to be injured and I don't smell any of your blood on you so I imagine Nora took good care of you.”

Joseph, “She was careful to keep me safe. What about you though?” As he spoke Joseph found himself surprised when he got a good look at Maria. She was covered in blood.

Maria, “I was killing kobolds Joseph and it was rather mess business.”

As she was speaking Joseph found himself becoming aware of something else. He wasn't sure if it was the drying kobold blood in Maria's fur but she truly stunk. Instead of mentioning it he just grinned despite his exhausted body and the unpleasant scent. He couldn't help but notice the strange look Maria was giving him. “What is it?”

Maria, “Do I smell that bad?”

Joseph, “Huh? I didn't say anything about how you smelled.”

Maria, “You turned your nose up at me. I mean. Oh. Oh good grief I wreak. Joseph how about we continue this conversation in the shower I bet the hot water will do your muscles some good.”

Joseph, “That sounds nice but can we really return home.”

Maria, “Home? I'm not talking about going home just yet the library has some showers installed.”

Joseph, “I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering the size of this place.”

***************************************************************************************************

This was a little awkward for Joseph as he looked around the bathing area. Several sisters were moving about the area some of them soaked through to their skin while others hadn't went into the shower yet. Apparently several of them had noticed their smell and been working on correcting that. Maria seemed fine about this but it left Joseph feeling extremely awkward as he set upon Maria's thigh.

Maria, “What's wrong Joseph?”

Joseph, “Maria um there are an awful lot of your sisters walking around. Perhaps you should shower off without me instead of taking a brother into the showers.”

Unknown sister, “It's alright with us if you join in!”

At the words Joseph felt himself lock up and his cheek become bright red as he blushed. It actually took him a moment to realize that his seat was shaking. A moment later and he realized he could hear giggles and upon looking at Maria he knew where they were coming from. It was a surprising moment though as he noticed the massive smile on her face while her eyes were clearly focused on him. He felt her right hand reach up behind him and a few fingers slip under his shirt to gently rub his back. The entire situation seemed strange despite the time he'd spent living with the sisters.

Maria, “Don't worry Joseph I'll keep you covered.” As she spoke Maria brought her tail up. Her relatively slim tail could only afford so much protection but she was able to cover most of Joseph's mid section. “See. Now come on and join me in the bath. I won't set you down and I'll keep you facing the wall so no one will get a good look.”

It was strange but the look on Maria's face held Joseph's attention more firmly then normal. It seemed like she didn't want to let him out of her sight or was that his imagination?  “Isn't it unusual for sisters to take brothers into their baths.”

Maria, “Of course not.  You've been with us this long and you haven't learned that yet?”

Joseph, “Well it just seems a little strange.”

Maria, “Don't worry. I won't get angry so long as you don't look at any of the others and I'll make sure they don't see your man parts. How is that?”

Joseph, “Just a quick simple shower?”

Now Maria was slow to respond as she bit down on her lower lip.  “I should probably get cleaned up before we do anything intimate. It'd be a shame if I was just getting you into the mood and you got a good sniff of this foulness. How about this? You soap up the front of my chest and that's as intimate as we'll get.”

Maria was trying to carry him into the shower fool of damp sisters walking around. The only thing that he was going to have to cover him would be her tail and most likely he was going to spend the majority of his time pressed against her body. Now she wanted him to be the one to soap up breasts that had come to be larger then his head. The situation actually made him feel a little light headed but then again perhaps that was the exhaustion from casting all those spells. “Alright, but we're not going any further then that until we're somewhere private.”

Maria, “Oh does that mean you want to get somewhere private soon?”

Joseph, “Um Maria do you remember what happened when you picked me up?”

Maria, “OH yes. Sore. Sore. I completely forgot. Okay let's get you under the hot water and see if that helps your muscles relax. Now get those clothes off.”

To this Joseph gave a slight nod as he noticed Maria's hand leave his back and move to offer him more cover along with her tail. When he looked up at her face though he noticed that she hadn't even began to divert her own eyes. First instincts were to say something but instead he grasped the bottom of his shirt and began to pull it over his head. If Maria wanted to watch him undress even in that situation it was fine with him. It was quite nice to have such a lovely woman eager to see him after all. As he was removing his shirt questions about the battle began to pop into his head but he pushed them to the side for the moment. Maria was happy to see him, he was happy to see her and they were going to get cleaned up. Unpleasant questions could be answered later.

***************************************************************************************************

Joseph's scent was so welcome. The hot water vapor flowed up all around then and carried his scent to her nose. A scent that for Maria cut through the smell of the blood and gunk that coated her fur and took them completely from her mind.

Maria had adjusted his position whenever she first turned on the water so that both of them were facing the spray. He wasn't sure about the system that the library used to warm the water but given what had went into building it the hot water didn't surprise him. At first nothing seemed to be happening as Maria seemed intent on just enjoying the water. Then he'd felt his position changing and Maria's breasts rubbing against his back as he'd been lifted higher. He could actually feel her nipples becoming pert as his back was rubbed against them and worried that Maria had forgotten their earlier talk. Then he'd felt her nose press against the top of his head. The feeling of Maria's breath running through his hair and against his neck when she exhaled was a bit more stimulating then Joseph was ready for. When she held him there for a good two minutes though he had to speak up.

Joseph, “Um Maria are you trying to inhale me?”

For a moment Maria felt light headed and it took her a moment to realize what was going on. Immediately she straitened up and lowered Joseph away from her face. The sudden movement caused his position to shift and he ended up leaning against her chests while looking up at her face. She knew she had to have the silliest grin of her life on right now though she made no attempt to stop it as she looked down at Joseph. “My mistake. I forgot myself for a moment. It just seems like it's been months since I've gotten to smell you.”

Joseph, “You know where I come from that wouldn't exactly be a good thing.” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he looked up at his massive lady while leaning back against her breasts. “Just be careful about things like that. If you get much larger I might end up in your nose.”

Maria, “Pfft I'm not that big. I'm not even certain if Zarena is that big?”

Joseph, “Oh I believe that she is and besides.” Now Joseph chose to straiten up and shift so his side so that he was still looking up at Maria. “If we continue at the rate things have been going we'll get you and your sisters back to that size before you know what's happening.”

With Joseph straitening up Maria took a moment to locate the soap which she handed to Joseph while holding her free hand in front of him. “Get a good layer of lather built up on my hand if you don't mind. I'm going to need to work this deep into my fur and well one of my hands are occupied.”

Litia, “Hey Maria if you don't want to put your guy down I could soap you up.”

Maria, “No thanks it's more fun this way.”

Joseph could hear some chuckles run throughout the room. It was an odd feeling to remember that the room was full of sisters who could hear everything that he said to Maria. Then again given the sister's ears that was normal. He was still grinning as he began to work the soap over Maria's massive hand. A hand which his entirely vanished into. As Joseph pressed the soap against her palm he couldn't help but notice the fact that even side by side his hands couldn't cover Maria's palm any longer. The one beneath him easily and comfortably supported his bottom after all. It was actually an exciting thought and he found himself working the soap into her palm with unexpected energy.

Maria, “Joseph you should know that even back in the days of the original Luvarians we didn't all grow as large as Zarena.”

Joseph, “Didn't you say that in those days you didn't know hunger though?”

Maria, “That's true we didn't know hunger back then. However, we don't have to be as big as Zarena not to feel the hunger. Just a few times the mass of most matrons and the hunger fades away entirely. At least that's how things seem from the information we've gathered. That is for most sisters at least.” As she was speaking Maria removed her hand from Joseph and reached behind her back beginning to work the soap deeply into her fur.

Joseph, “You sisters are a flexible bunch! Your muscles are more defined then mine even proportionally speaking and I can't even bind like that. So do you have any idea what caused some sisters to grow larger then others?”

Maria, “Well agility was designed into our very being after all. As for the reason. It seems that it's related to the hunger that they felt at smaller sizes. Simply put the more hunger a sister felt at her smaller size the larger her body tended to grow before she stopped feeling it.”

Joseph, “I believe you mentioned that to me before now that I think about it. So Maria how would you say Zarena's hunger compares to yours?”

Maria, “I have no idea. Typically we don't like to talk about who's hunger is the strongest as well it's just not a pleasant thought. There once was a movement to have us adapt our body sizes based on who's hunger was the strongest. You can imagine that didn't go well especially given how the feeling of hunger is subjective.”

Joseph, “Did you ever try coming up with a system that wouldn't be subjective? I wonder if perhaps your hunger is related to how much energy you body tries to pull from the environment. It would be simple to test all we would need to do is isolate several sisters in rooms with the same amount of mystic energy. Then we could observe if the rate at which they absorbed the energy was the same or not. Of course we'd.”

Maria, “I thought you were feeling drained.”

At first Joseph didn't know what Maria was talking about and then realization set in. “Sorry about that. A new idea can just take hold of me and make me forget all other things.”

Maria, “Apparently even more easy then the idea of making love to me.”

Joseph, “No! No! That's not true Maria. It's just being intimate with you. Well it can get a bit physical and and I'm talking about this in public.” Immediately Joseph felt his body warming up and found himself leaning forward so that his face pressed against Maria's chest. It was impossible for him not to notice the way Maria's chest was shaking as she tried to contain her giggles.

Maria, “It's okay Joseph that was very sweet. I guess I really hit a button there if you forgot where we are I was only teasing though. Believe me I can smell how much you want me literally.”

Joseph, “Yes and now I can smell how badly you needed this bath.”

Maria, “You're darn right I do!” This time Maria broke into open laughter as she used her tail to bring Joseph back to a setting position. “Now you said that you would soap up my chest and you've got a lot of chest to cover. Don't be gentle you really have to work deep down into my fur to make sure you get everything. I'm not going to be laying in bed thinking about how bad I smell tonight.”

Dan, “They can be plain awful can't they Joseph?”

Upon hearing Dan's voice Joseph risked leaning away from Maria and exposing himself. It didn't take him long to locate Dan who was currently being carried by Mina who had a wide grin upon her face.

Joseph, “You're darn right they can be. How Dan where have you been?”

Dan, “Doing some research with Mirin before Mina came and drug me away to get cleaned up. Apparently she noticed that her fur was a bit scented as well.

Maria, “How did that happen? I mean we were fighting the Amalgam which is where our reek comes from but what about the rest of you.”

Mina, “We had a horde of ill tempered bad smelling pigeons flying above us and we had to knock them out of the sky. I've eaten so much kobold lately that I am not only sick of the taste but I'm sick of the scent as well. Besides I was hoping to catch up to you two and figured this is the first place Maria would take you after getting a smell of the others. I hop I'm not interrupting anything too intimate.”

Maria, “Well I was seeing how bright I could make Joseph blush but they'll be time for that later. If you wanted to talk to me why did you bring Dan along though.”

Mina, “I hate showering without Dan he's my scrub buddy. Besides after what we went through I'm not letting him out of my sight for a while.”

Dan, “I ended up giving Mina a bit of a scare during the fight.” While he was speaking Dan had already retrieved some soap and began working a thick lather up on Mina's hand much as Joseph had done for Maria except he had an even larger hand to cover.

Maria, “Well I can understand that. What did you want to ask me about Mina?”

Mina, “How are you holding up Maria? I know this is the first time you've seen so many of your sisters die at once.”

Joseph could feel Maria's body tighten up in response to the question as he was pressed against her chest. He hadn't wanted to ask her how many had died not wanting to destroy a happy moment. Why was Mina asking Maria this now? He didn't say anything but he couldn't help but take a moment to look to Mina in hopes of getting an answer.

Maria, “I didn't know what to do when I first heard it. I felt like it was my fault and every death listed was an accusation against me. After all we're suppose to be watching out for one another and even if I'm not a keeper I'm one of the more capable sisters out there.”

Mina, “You felt responsible for their deaths even though you had Zarena out there with you?”

Maria, “Yeah.”

Mina, “I know how that feels. When I first realized how strong I was I began thinking that I needed to protect everyone even my sisters. In some ways they started looking like brothers to me. Then I became a keeper and the instinct became even stronger so I was stunned whenever I heard the report of a dead sister. She hadn't been on a particularly dangerous path at the time but she'd ran into some trouble and well she didn't retreat quickly enough. Even though I had been several hours away though I couldn't help but ask myself why I hadn't been there to protect her.”

Maria, “You're strong though Mina. I'm fast I could easily have covered that entire battlefield but I got distracted taking out things I wasn't assigned to.”

Mina, “Maria even you can't watch everyone. Even you can't be everywhere at once. Your mutation makes you more powerful then the average sister but you still have your limits. Just like I do.”

While she's been listening Maria was grateful for the hot water hitting her face. Her soaked fur did a good job of covering up the tears that were beginning to form. The signs were still there though even for those who didn't have an enhance sense of smell as Maria held Joseph more firmly against herself. She didn't even realize what she was doing but he was now firmly pressed against her chest part of him vanishing between her breast. “I believed that I could protect more of them.”

Now Mina turned to face Maria though she continued to hold onto Dan. Her free hand reached out and came to rest upon Maria's shoulder practically engulfing it. It served to illustrate the difference in their scales still. “I know. I thought the same thing at one time as well. We have a strong desire to protect those that we care for especially if they're weaker then us. When you develop a mutation as powerful as yours so many more become weaker then you then you're used to though. We out number our brothers so as long as you're average you feel a need to protect less then half the population. For us though that has changed. I bet now our sisters look even more fragile to you then they did two days ago.”

Maria, “Yeah. They do.”

Both Dan and Joseph found themselves in a bit of an awkward situation as Mina pulled Maria against herself. Both sisters wrapped their tails around one another to make up for their restricted limbs and Maria found herself leaning her head against Mina.

Mina, “It's wonderful that you want to protect your sisters Maria but remember you can't protect everyone. Instead focus on what you can protect but don't smother it.” As she was speaking Mina released the hold and glanced down at Dan and Joseph who were indeed looking a bit smothered. “Too much cover and what you're seeking to protect will die just the same.”

Maria, “So you had to deal with these feelings as well?”

Mina, “Oh yes. When they were near by it only made the situation worse. It's important to remember you can't be everywhere and not to try to hold everything you value too close or you'll just crush it. Speaking of crushing.”

Maria, “Oh!” Immediately Maria relaxed her grip on Joseph and let him flip free from her breast's embrace. Now it was her turn to blush as she looked down at him. “I hope that wasn't too uncomfortable.”

There was no immediate response from Joseph as he took a moment to catch his breath. “I'm fine. It was just a little tight it's not like I couldn't breath.”

Maria, “You'd think I'd know better then to do that by now after how long we've been together.”

Joseph, “Don't worry Maria it's like I said. I could still breath it was just a little bit uncomfortable.”

Maria, “Thanks and thank you as well Mina. What made you decide to come and speak with me so soon though?”

Mina, “I just remembered my first time of learning of a sisters death after developing my powers and figured you could use an ear to listen to. The fact that you made a strait line for what you valued the most and hadn't put Joseph down since then was another tip as well.”

Maria, “Hey it's not like you've put Dan down this entire time.”

Mina, “I know. That's because I like the feel of his little hands on my tits though and he can't reach them without my help.”

Dan, “Mina!”

End Book 5.

Chapter 29 by happiest_in_shadows

Nathan took in a deep breath as Kersara finished her report. “So you and the orcs did well on the beach but you lost four sisters in the fighting. To make matters worse two of them look like there had been some kind of foul play involved from amongst our own ranks.” In most cases having four warriors die on a battlefield was hardly a major concern for an army. Indeed such victories would be considered miracles. When your entire community only numbered a few thousand however and the average pregnancy took decades of trying that wasn't the situation. A dozens death's within the community tended to be felt for decades to come.

Kersara, “I'm sorry. I should have been more mindful of their age and placed them with more experienced sisters to help them battle.”

Nathan, “It sounds to me that you were quite busy. I don't believe there is anything that you could have done Kersara. At least I don't believe there is more that could have been expected of you. These last few days have really done a lot to show us our failings. I wonder. Kersara is there any chance that the two sisters who died were distrustred?”

Kersara, “No. I didn't have any sisters like that with me.”

Nathan, “I didn't believe you would but I had sort of hoped. We had a few sisters die in the main village as well however they were distrusted who.” Nathan found himself going silent as he considered his words. He wanted to say they didn't take shelter with the other sisters and brothers but that wasn't likely to be the truth. It was more likely that they weren't permitted to take shelter with the brothers in such a confined area. “Who weren't fighting alongside their fellow sisters. Thank you for coming to me with this information first. I'll be certain to speak with the brothers and see if we can obtain any information from the bodies.”

Kersara, “Nathan you don't have to speak that way around me. I know very well what happened to the distrusted in the village and I wouldn't have allowed them to shelter in the library either. I'm going to be speaking with some of the keepers today about what happened on the beach though and then we'll decide how the sisters will be handling this. I truly hope that those who had became involved in a personal conflict and that's why they died on the beach. If there is a third sister involved in some way.”

Nathan, “It's not a pleasant thought. So have you gone to see Mina yet? I have to say that child of hers has wonderful timing. Even if she isn't with us yet to have a new sister in the community so soon after we lost some of them will really help in the recovery.”

Kersara, “I haven't! Is she showing yet?”

Nathan, “No. At least not on a visual level but several sisters have been talking about smelling the change in Mina's body.”

Kersara, “That is showing! I'm glad that the orcs agreed to secure the beach so that we could return home for a while. They're a lot of decision that's to be made and I'd hate to be left out of them.”

Nathan, “That's true and it's good that you're here. Fortunately we'll also have the wisdom of a sleeper to help us in the decision making process. So Kersara where do you stand on training brother's as spirit hunters like they did in the past?” As the words left his mouth Nathan could see a change in Kersara's body language. He could see her muscles tensing as if she was preparing for an attack and her ears began to twitch and move about.

Kersara, “Well I. I can't say that I'm fond of the idea. From what I heard from the other sisters Zarena was pretty upset by the fact that we had done away with that branch of our brothers though and it's hard to argue with a sleeper. It's even harder to argue with the recent happenings. I don't like the idea but I can't really think of an alternative.”

Nathan, “I see. Do you have any brothers in mind for the position?”

None of them that are close to me immediately flashed into Kersara's mind but she knew that she could give that thought voice. “I don't really want to talk about this at the moment. How about giving me a chance to speak with the other sisters first?”

Nathan, “Sure.”

**********************************************************************************

As Nora carried the remains of a wall towards the processing point she couldn't help but frown. The wall had been part of her shop and the kobolds had burned it down during their attack. This included the new clothes they had been working on. Ever since Joseph had told them how unpleasant their clothing was to the touch she and Tera had been working on it. They'd become a lot better at making clothes that were comfortable for brothers reliably and even began working on clothing that could be considered luxury. She wasn't happy about the situation but there weren't any kobolds left for her to take out her anger on.

Tera, “Hey sister. Why the long face?”

Nora, “I was just thinking about the new underwear that we'd been working on. I was looking forward to having a few brothers try out the new design.”

Tera, “That was going to be fun.” A huge grin formed on Tera's face as she looked at her friend. They'd been trying different types of plant and animal material to make the new clothing. The most recent design had proven difficult to make due to the material's delicate nature. “For you to be looking that gloomy you must have had someone in mind you want to wear them.”

Nora, “Of course! That does have me down but I don't believe that is the saddest part.”

Tera, “What is it then?”

Nora, “Didn't you see the latest design of the new market we're going to build? They're moving us further away from the dining hall!”

Tera, “Whaaa!” Upon hearing this news Tera couldn't help her shock and this came out in her voice. “Why though? We provided our brothers one of their primary goods and need to be kept in relatively close proximity to one other related work areas so they don't have to walk too much.”

Nora, “Apparently they believe that as the brothers don't need to visit us as regularly as some other shops they can afford to move us further back. I guess that's just one of many changes that are going to be coming.”

Tera, “I really don't want to go to tonight’s meeting.” As she spoke Tera finally deposited the section of wall she'd been carrying on the remains pile. In a short while a brother would come by and cast a spell to cause the material to decay more rapidly and they could fill it up once again. This was a little uncomfortable for some of the community considering they had just finished dealing with a spirit that was in some ways a spirit of decay. It was clear to Tera that Nora was thinking something similar as she looked to her friend.

Nora, “Do you want to risk them making a decision you don't like and you not even having a say in it? That's the only reason that I'm going but I'm still not sure where I stand. I mean I know that the Amalgam was able to develop quietly because we had no spirit hunters watching for such things. Shouldn't the orcs have been the ones to notice it growing though? After all they have shamans and they're attuned to the spiritual realm.”

Tera, “Let's save that for the meeting but I'm going to have to disagree with you. As a society we can't trust those who are not part of the community with such a burden. This is our forest to protect.”

For a moment Nora was silent. When she considered what she'd said she really didn't like the idea of trusting others to protect their forest. She didn't like the idea of any of their brothers regularly going into danger that they couldn't be protected from either. “Do you really believe we're going to have much of a say in this with Zarena there?”

***********************************************************************************

Joseph felt rather nervous as he considered his options. He could either work on the life bloom and perhaps try to come up with a version that was more forest friendly or stronger. This would provide the sisters with more energy and given the resources of the forest he believed it could be achieved easily. He could help the brothers develop their spirit hunter program. Given their history with the sisters he worried they might need some help making the adjustment or he could focus on what he had found out while studying Maria. He was certain that the sisters weren't as lacking in magical talent as they believed and that had serious implications but he had no idea when he would get results.

Maria, “Prepare to be pinched!” The moment she said the word pinched Maria took hold of Joseph's rear and gave it a quick squeeze. He responded as expected with a sharp yelp and jumped up from his seat spinning around to confront her. Maria of course had a huge grin on her face. “I thought I'd come in and check on you.”

Despite having just been pinched Joseph had a massive grin on his face. “Well hey there you. How goes the clean up?”

Maria, “It goes about as you might expect. We've removed the bulk of the damaged material and set aside what could be salvaged which isn't a lot. Now there comes the issue of where we're going to take the materials from in order to rebuild what was damaged and the new design. A lot of sisters are calling for the structures to be built larger and stronger as many seem to think we're going to get to grow even more soon. I have to admit I hope they're right. Then that brings up the issue of how do we make the buildings larger without upsetting more of the forest. I think we're going to end up building downward like the library. We can leave the surface to the plants and animals.”

Joseph, “Depending on how big you become that might not be practical. Hey Maria which one do you believe I should work on? The spirit hunter program, the life bloom or should I consider my studies on the sisters and your attunement  to spiritual energies?”

Maria, “Naturally you should focus on your studies relating to the potential for magical manipulation and our bodies of course. That's the one that's most likely to result in me getting to test more things and eat more food.” As she spoke Maria came to stand behind Joseph while he had settled back into his seat. He was currently looking at a sheet of paper which she recognized as having alchemical formulas written on it but little else. “I don't believe you'd be much help whenever it comes to the spirit hunters and the life bloom can be left in the hands of others.”

Joseph, “Well that's solid reasoning.” As he finished Joseph gave his head a slight shake but was grinning. “I hear there is a big get together tonight with the sisters. I take it you're going to decide where you stand as a political organization on a lot of things.”

Maria, “Yes we are. I expect there is going to be a great deal of debate tonight.”

Joseph, “I'm sure I will be speaking with the other brothers soon as well. How are the sisters who don't have a home doing? I appreciate them making space for those of us that can't survive without shelter but they're giving up a lot.”

Maria, “Don't worry about that we're doing fine in the forest. Often we'd end up sleeping in the forest before this little event. Honestly sleeping in the forest is quite comfortable for us though we could do without getting the smell of the forest into our fur. So do you have any idea on what you might begin working on next now that you know we don't just soak up mystic energies without limit?”

Joseph, “It isn't just that. I found out that your bodies can indeed produce and radiate mystic energy in very small amounts whenever your hunger has been satisfied. That opens up quite a bit of potential. First I need to run some more test and insure my data is right.”

Maria, “Yay! More test.”

Joseph, “Not on you.” As he spoke Joseph looked back and immediately saw Maria's smile vanish from her face and be replaced with a look of shock.

Maria, “What! Why not me?” As she spoke Maria couldn't keep the surprise out of her voice. She had been looking for another nice meal for science and Joseph was telling her she wouldn't be allowed to have one. The reason was fairly obvious to her with a moment of thought but she resolved to let Joseph say it first.

Joseph, “Maria you're a mutated sister. I need to not only confirm what I found with the first test but I need to insure that it isn't just due to a sister's mutations. There are other variables as well of course. I really want to get in touch with Kersara before she leaves and have her run one of the experiments. I was wondering if a sister's physical well being might influence the results and she's the most physically well sister without a mutation that I can think of.”

Maria, “Hm. I don't know how long Kersara is going to be here at least until tonight for the meeting. I believe I know where she is though. I'll step out for just a few and speak with her.” As she spoke Maria turned away from Joseph and extended her tail. This had the desired result as she felt it smack lightly against Joseph's head.

Joseph, “Thanks Maria.” As the words left his mouth Joseph was made to smile. He would normally have tried to stop Maria but he was learning. She could run to wherever Kersara was in a few minutes at most. Asking Maria to travel to nearly anywhere in the village was roughly the same as asking for someone to check their cellar for something even at the furthest reaches of the village. Instinctively he rubbed the spot were Maria's tail had smacked him and looked back towards his paper. He was going to continue his studies on the sister's and put everything else behind him. Naturally this meant he would need to secure certain resources from the brothers.

***********************************************************************************

Dan, “Hey there Liza I can't say I expected to see you here.” As he spoke Dan approached the young guardian. She had been one of the more regular sister's he saw in the shop delivering supplies or bringing them to other brothers whenever she had been asked. As the one who took care of the alchemical shop for years Dan met quite a bit of the community even those members who weren't so social. Liza was a quiet one preferring to make her deliveries whenever there wasn't many around.

Mirin, “I see you came by to check up on them.”

There was no move on Dan's part to turn to look at Mirin. “Yeah. So when will the ceremony begin?”

Mirin, “Selecting the brothers that will take the bodies away has already been done and we're prepared to begin examining them. We've also began to review the research of the last group to study our sister's and make plans for new experiments. This is the first time we've had so many to examine in a long time but we're still determined to make the most of their loss.”

Dan, “You said that the brothers have already been selected but have they been informed?”

Mirin, “Yes. You don't have to worry about being one of them. This is a grim responsibility and it takes some time to prepare for it.”

To this Dan gave a slight nod. Sisters weren't buried and their bodies weren't destroyed. They lived too long and there was too much they didn't know about their own bodies for them to just be covered in the dirt. So whenever a sister did die her corpse was taken for examination in hopes that the knowledge gained from studying her would help those still alive. This was important but it wasn't easy on either side. So whenever a sister died she was given a ceremony during which her body would be taken away by a group of hidden brothers. Their appearance and scents were hidden so no one would know who had taken the corpse. They weren't even allowed to speak during the event. “Mirin who's idea was it that the brothers should hide who they are?”

Mirin, “It's a practice that began with the Luvarians if our information is complete. They noticed when retrieving the bodies of sisters for study the Luvarian who was made to retrieve the corpse would be looked upon strangely by the remaining constructs. In order to keep their creation from feeling animosity towards any one Luvarian they began hiding the identity of those who retrieved the corpse. After the fall of the main Luvarians we continue the practice for the same reasons.”

Dan, “Do they ever try to find out who the hidden figures were?”

Mirin, “To my knowledge no. None of them want to risk learning that the person who stole their sister's body was one of their favored brothers. My mother explained it to me once. So long as they don't know who it is they can believe the brothers they loved most aren't currently cutting on their beloved sister. You've been with us for a while Dan and you never spoke to Mina about this?”

Dan, “I remember speaking to Mina about her mother but she didn't like to talk about the ceremony. This is the first time that I've seen a sister die since I came to live here as well.” As he spoke Dan had made his way over to Liza's corpse. The body of the sisters were remarkable things even after they were dead. Currently she showed no signs of decay and where it a human body and a mage available he believed she would have been well within their ability to heal. “How long does it take for decay to set into a sister's body?”

Mirin, “We don't know. We've never given one of their bodies the chance to decay to dust.”

***********************************************************************************

Kersara, “So you want me as a test subject? But Joseph I don't know if I have time to work as a test subject. The orcs are going to begin setting up their new settlement on the beach soon and I need to be there in order to help them out. After everything that has happened our relationship with the orcs has changed and as one of the most experience in working with them I've been intrusted to better that relationship.”

Maria, “Well I could just come and get you during the testing days. It may take over a day for you to travel back and forth between the beach but that isn't the case for me and I wouldn't mind giving up my evening for research.”

For a moment Kersara said nothing but looked at Maria and then Joseph. She didn't want to say it but the possibility of a special meal to be allowed to violate her eating routine once in a while was very tempting. There was of course one major issue. “Joseph what happens if my body responds like Maria's and I end up growing more? She might have you to supply her with the additional food she needs but what about your other test subjects?”

Joseph, “That's why I'm preparing to make my proposal to the other brothers rather then simply conducting the experiment on my own. Currently I intend to grow a few more life blooms here for my personal use and should such an incident happen I can provide the sisters with what they need from my own collection. Naturally I don't intend for you to grow more then what you're allowed but I have to be prepared for it.”

Maria, “Besides. With you it's likely that you'll end up achieving keeper status before too much longer so it wouldn't be a long term problem.”

Kersara, “Huh? What makes you think I'm in the running to become a keeper?”

Maria, “Kersara don't try to fake innocents. As nice as you are we all know that you've been striving to achieve keeper status for quite some time now.”

For a moment Kersara went silent she then lifted her right index finger to her lips in a silence sign. “I'd prefer if you didn't speak about that.”

Maria, “So you'll do it?”

Kersara, “If the other brothers agree with his research project and you agree to transport me to and from the beach for testing I'll be a test subject. How do you intend to get approval for such a project with everything that's happening though?”

Joseph, “Because this is a worthy path of investigation and has the chance to radically change the way our sisters sustain themselves lowering the burden on the forest or reducing their hunger even further. That and even if it doesn't lead to an immediate solution I believe that it's knowledge worth having.”

A slight chuckle escaped Kersara once Joseph finished. “I honestly expected you to say that you have a history of success and have proven your capability with the life bloom. I like the argument you came up with more. You may have trouble even with that argument though not because of the argument but there is so much going on. We've been so busy with repairs that we haven't even held a ceremony for our fallen sisters.”

For a moment Joseph said nothing as he considered his question. The way Maria and Kersara were talking they didn't seem to be grieving over the loss of their sisters. Despite how they may be behaving though that didn't mean they weren't in grieving. “So I don't know how you handle the death of a sister. Is there going to be a time of grieving?”

It was impossible for Kerara and Maria to keep their smiles but Kersara gave a nod it was she who answered. “There is a time for grieving but we're guardians and can't let such feelings diminish our performance. There is too much important work to do and decisions to make. So until the ceremony we continue on to the best of our ability.”

Joseph, “I see. I hope I didn't offend by bringing it up.”

Maria, “It's alright. Just be careful about bringing such things up Joseph depression isn't the same for us as it is for humans. We can't afford a long time of intense grief.”

Joseph, “What?”

Kersara, “It can kill us. Our bodies respond very strongly to our emotional state so if the grief is too great or goes on for too long our hearts just shut down. Well not just our hearts more like our everything stops working. So we can only allow ourselves so much time for grieving. That's one reason we have the ceremony. The emotional release is good for us.”

It was impossible for Joseph not to be surprised. While he knew that the body of sisters' were mystical in nature he wasn't quite expecting their body to respond so strongly. “I see. So is that what tends to finally end a sister's life?”

Maria, “Yeah. If our spirits are weakened so are our bodies. After living for so long we tend to just begin to become tired as time passes on. We're constructs so it's not like we were designed to die from old age as after all. Joseph are you okay? You seem a bit lost.”

There was no immediate response from Joseph as he considered what Maria had told him. Due to their bodies magic nature it fed upon their spiritual energies. If something happened to weaken the spirit the amount of nourishment the body received was diminished. Perhaps after decades or centuries of sustaining such energies the spirit also began to grow tired? “I'm sorry. I was just considering what you'd said and what it may mean. Is there any research on such things?”

Maria, “If there is it would be in the citadel. That or in the more secure regions of the library. We don't talk about it often but some sisters fear that a mage using a curse to influence our minds and make depression more intense could kill all of us. I'm sure the brothers looked into whether or not such an event is possible and how to protect us from it at the very least.”

Joseph, “That's assuming it's possible to begin with. From what I've seen you're some of the most magically resistant beings around.  Do you think that it would be more dangerous then.” Joseph didn't get to finish as he felt a hand press into his mouth.

Maria, “Joseph stop and think about what you're saying.”

For a moment Joseph wondered what was going on and then his gaze turned towards Kersara. Mina had warned him that the book he'd been shown in the library contained information the brothers would consider dangerous and one of his rank shouldn't have it without approval. He hadn't even considered that Kersara might be a danger.

Kersara, “Okay. I have a feeling that I shouldn't have heard that. Maria you trust Joseph and he's been a wonderful brother to all of us. For those reasons I'm going to trust your judgment on this but I have to wonder. Joseph did whatever you find have anything to do with your current line of investigation.”

Joseph, “Yes.”

For a moment Kersara said nothing but then gave a nod. “Okay Maria. I'm going to go get some food before we have tonight’s gathering. You're going to be attending right?”

Maria, “Of course.”

***********************************************************************************

Allen, “So why aren't you going to tonight's gathering?” As he spoke Allen looked over at Pera who was currently setting beside him. It was rather strange. Pera had grown quite a bit while they were at the beach and in truth he was used to setting on a sister's lap once they reached her size rather then beside her. Pera didn't seem to have any intentions of picking him up at the moment however as she looked over and down at him.

Pera, “It's not like I'm old enough for them to take anything I say seriously. Besides if I wasn't here then your mother wouldn't be there.” A slight giggle escaped Pera upon hearing Allen groan and noting the look he gave her.

Allen, “I wonder what I'm going to have to do before she'll stop thinking that a gentle breeze may kill me.”

Pera, “Well it wasn't that long ago that you were asking her to let you cling to her leg while she walked. Do you remember looking up at her and calling her mommy?” It was clear to Pera that Allen did remember these as she heard the change in his heart beat and noticed a slight blush forming.

Allen, “I would have hurt her feelings if I'd called her anything else! She still doesn't like it whenever I just call her mom even now.”

Pera, “That sounds like Stella. I noticed that you only eat an apple with the skin on when she's not around. Is that because you don't feel comfortable asking me to peel it or because she usually peels it for you?”

It was impossible for Allen to keep from glaring at Pera. “I'm perfectly capable of peeling my own apple Pera. I actually prefer it with the skin on but my mom always peels it for me whether I ask her or not. Just two days ago I went to get a snack while my mother was relaxing and reading. I'd just picked up the apple whenever it's lifted from my hands and peeled before I can say anything about it.  She eats the skin gives me the apple and then kisses me on top of the head before leaving the room. Not like that's uncommon but I swear it's a fight just to feed myself.”

It was impossible for Pera to keep from laughing. Naturally Allen could put an end to most of that if he would just have a talk with Stella. He loved her to though and didn't want to hurt her feelings. “You know no matter how big or old you get that you're always going to be her little baby.”

Allen, “I just wish she'd let me grow up a little. Most brothers were at least able to walk around the market by themselves at my age. I have to be with you or one of the older sisters before mom will even let me out of her site.”

Pera, “Don't be silly! None of those brothers were trusted out of their mother's site either. They were just a lot more subtle then what Stella is.”

Allen, “Great now I'm going to be paranoid even whenever she finally lets me out of her site. Perhaps I should tell mom that I want to become one of the spirit hunters whenever I become older.”

Pera, “She'd have a panic attack if you did that Allen!” For a moment Pera went silent as she looked down at Allen. “You don't really want to become a spirit hunter do you?”

It was impossible for Allen not to hear the concern in Pera's voice. He wasn't going to lie to her given the situation. “I've given it some thought. Even if the sisters are against it there is going to have to be some brothers become spirit hunters and they're always going to have sisters who don't approve of it. So why shouldn't it be me?”

Pera, “Because I don't want it to be you.” As she spoke Pera found herself turning to face Allen. Her arms were made to tremble and she had to fight the urge to grab him.

Allen, “That's rather selfish Pera. Each one of us are going to have a sister or more that feels the same way to you now. Besides I believe that I may want this. It sure would show my mom that I had grown up if I could hold my own against her.”

Before she knew what she was doing Pera had reached out and slipped her hands underneath Allen's arms. She easily lifted him from his seated position and pressed him against herself. “But I don't want it to be you! I'd worry about you and you'd go to places where none of us could protect you!” Even as the words left her mouth Pera knew she was only thinking about her feelings. The idea of Allen going to such dangerous places frightened her though.

Allen, “Are you sure? The spirit hunters might be the safest brothers around.” As he spoke Allen wrapped his arms around Pera's neck and hugged her even as she held him.

Pera, “Huh?”

Allen, “Well think about it. For the most part we rely on you sisters to defend us and yet they're things you can't defend us from. How many of us would have died if it hadn't been for the orcs and their spirit allies? No matter how much security you may offer is there anything safer then being able to protect yourself?”

Pera, “The training is dangerous though!”

Allen, “It may be but Zarena considered it worth the risk. Just consider how devoted she is to the forest and our people. If someone who's lived as much as she has believes that it is worth the risk then don't you believe it maybe?”

Now Pera went silent. She knew enough about the talks to know that most spirit hunters didn't die. The sister's of the past wouldn't have allowed them to train in such dangerous abilities if they did. “Well it's not as if you're old enough to begin the training anyway. You haven't finished your basic lessons in alchemy or magic just yet or chosen on a path to focus on.”

Allen, “I know but if I'm going to become a spirit hunter in the future I should probably consider the magical path. Mom really wants me to become an alchemist but that's just because she has it in her head that it's safer then spell casting.”

Pera, “Is she wrong?”

Allen, “Well according to teacher casters tend to make more mistakes then alchemist do. On the other hand alchemist tend to make far larger mistakes then spell casters. In the end the likelihood of horrible injury or death is effectively equal for either group.”

Pera, “That didn't comfort me at all.”

***********************************************************************************

Flora, “I'm beginning to wonder how far along you may actually be. The fact that we were allowed to grow so rapidly while you were pregnant probably is influencing the changes.” As she spoke Flora pressed her fingers into Mina's stomach trying to detect any signs of the life beneath it. She could smell the changes in Mina's body but due to Mina's massive scale it was hard to actually see them and due to her incredibly dense muscles feeling them was even more difficult.

Mina, “Do you think my baby is okay? My body wouldn't harm my child would it?”

Flora, “Mina don't worry. The only situations in which a sister lost a child before birth involves either the sister being critically injured or killed no matter what mutations she had in the past. I'm certain that your child is fine. From the way you smell I worry that you might be further along then we believed.”

The fact that no healthy sister had given birth to a stillborn baby actually helped relax Mina as Flora reminded her of that fact. It didn't mean she was entirely relaxed and actually felt her cheeks growing a little warm. “I believe that the changes might be influencing my behavior as well.”

Flora, “Oh?”

Mina, “This morning I woke up and I had Dan's head pressed against my breast just a few centimeters away from my nipple. He was actually the one that woke me up when I started trying to sleep feed him.” It was impossible for Mina to keep from giggling. “You should have seen the expression on his face. Apparently he didn't know what was going on but I had suddenly shifted to my side and practically shoved my nipple into his mouth. At first he thought I was being frisky but then he noticed my breathing and my eyes were closed.”

Flora, “And he actually woke you up first?”

Mina, “Yeah. I guess that he felt that playing with my titties while I was sleeping wasn't appropriate.”

Flora, “You mean he's never woken you up by fondling your breast?”

Mina, “Of course he has! He just felt this time was different. I didn't know what to do at first whenever he woke me up and told me what was happening. I considered shoving my nipple into his mouth so he couldn't speak and going back to sleep. Instead I settled for giving him a kiss on the cheek and relaxing my grip on him a bit.

Flora, “I bet he would have preferred having your nipple shoved into his mouth. So have you noticed any other changes?”

Mina couldn't help but give her friend a grin. “Other then that despite my additional size I feel as hungry as when I was four meters tall. It doesn't help that my patience seems to be particularly thin now. It feels like I'm building up aggression again.”

Flora, “Now Mina. I don't believe that we can have you fighting a matron again just to release some stress. The baby is too far along at this point and you may end up killing your child.”

To this Mina gave a nod. “I understand. Do you believe that this was a design feature? The desire to claim territory whenever we become pregnant and make sure its established how big and dangerous we are? I have to believe it would make it hard for our creators to examine  our child.”

Flora, “I believe it's a design feature to insure we protect our child and they know when it's coming. You're probably feeling on edge because your territory was attacked and even if the enemy was driven back you feel vulnerable on some level.”

Mina, “It's hard not to feel vulnerable when I think about the Amalgam and that there could be another one growing and we wouldn't even know it.” It actually surprised Mina whenever she heard a low growl come from Flora. She didn't feel threatened and the growl didn't seem aimed at her but it was clear she hit a sore spot.

Flora, “I understand what you're talking about there. We have a vulnerability. We know about that vulnerability. There isn't anything we can do to fix that vulnerability. Instead we're going to have to rely on our brothers to defend us from it. At least for the moment.”

Mina, “Does that mean you're going to be encouraging the formation of a group of spirit hunters?”

Flora, “Yes. What about you Mina? You're amongst the most powerful of us even if you consider the matrons. What have you resolved about the spirit hunters?”

Mina, “I've talked it over with Dan and I'm going to be supporting the formation of spirit hunters as well. I'm a little worried that my relationship with Dan will cause some tension though. Those sisters who are against the idea are going to ask why Dan isn't becoming a spirit hunter if we support the idea. Naturally the fact that he isn't a mage is the primary reason but I don't know how well that will work given that we're not even sure about the spirit hunters training. What if it's just as easy for an alchemist to become a spirit hunter as a mage?”

Flora, “What indeed?”

A slight giggle escaped Mina. “Well we did talk about how nice it would be if he could endure me using more of my strength. Every once in a while Dan will down some potions to increase his endurance and even his strength but I still have to be careful not to snap him in half or crush him to a pulp. Perhaps after toughening up as a spirit hunter I could use a twentieth or a tenth of my strength without fear.” Once again Mina was made to chuckle even as her tongue flicked out and ran along her lips.

Flora, “You naughty girl! I believe you're a little ambitions if you're hoping for him to handle a twentieth of your strength. So you're prepared for Dan to become a spirit hunter if the training proves as tolerable for an alchemist as a mage?”

Mina, “That's what I said.” As she spoke Mina stood up and took in a deep breath. She was grateful that she and Flora had met in the forest well away from the others. “Who knows? Perhaps becoming a spirit hunter would be no more dangerous then Dan living with me. All of us could kill a brother in a careless moment but I could kill a sister in the same moment. How safe has Dan really been living with me despite how well I believe I control these muscles?”

Flora, “He seems fine to me.”

Mina, “Flora I know you've seen the bruises on his body.”

Flora, “I know those bruises only appear on nights when Dan has downed several augmentation potions. Of course you're going to be rough on him on nights you intend to be rough. I have never seen Dan injured without the smell of alchemical remnants. You were there whenever they happened upon the information weren't you?”

Mina, “Yeah. I don't see why so many sisters are speaking as if becoming a spirit hunter is dangerous. It's only when they began to push for the higher ranks that the fatality rate increased and we couldn't even produce them. Do you know why so many of the upper ranks died?”

Flora, “I assumed that the training was that difficult.”

Mina, “No. Apparently to further augment their abilities they would brand mystic markings or glyphs into their skin using mythril.”

For a moment Flora went silent. They had some mythril on hand and she had even been in its presence a few times. Once they had even hoped that items could be constructed from mythril to provide the sisters all the energy they needed. Naturally they couldn't even come close to obtaining the required supply. “It's no wonder they died! I know you've felt the energy mythril radiates. Can you imagine how much it must have given off when intentionally shaped and treated to channel magic?” 

Mina, “Yes. From what Dan told me the death rate isn't nearly as bad as many believe it's not like the Luvarians were recklessly throwing away their lives. I have been wondering about the old brothers that became spirit hunters since learning that. Zarena talked about them as if we used to have a few of the higher ranks as well. What do you believe happened to the mythril they used to produce them?”

Flora, “It's not likely that it wasn't recovered. It's too valuable to simply leave it behind. Perhaps the brothers stored it away somewhere? Then again perhaps we stored it away whenever it was resolved that no more brothers should be trained as spirit hunters. Do you think our ancestors might have hidden it from them so they couldn't produce anymore fully developed spirit hunters to make them easier to give up?”

For a moment Mina went silent. She didn't like the idea of their past sisters hiding such a valuable resources from the brothers but it seemed possible. “Where do you believe that they would have hidden it? Surely they would have realized that losing such metal would be a huge lost to our resources.”

***********************************************************************************

Julia took in a deep breath as she looked at all the corpses of fallen sisters. Currently there were two of note which had been placed separately from the others. These two she walked over to. “Cita and Azala. It's a shame that we didn't keep you at the library. We really believed that the water front would be a safe location for all of you. Who would have expected that the Amalgam would called upon that kind of the kobolds from so far away. I'm sorry and I'm sorry for what I'm going to do.” As she finished speaking Julia pulled her hood up over her head. To many it would seem like she was hiding her face but in truth she was protecting it. “Are you ready Ridon?”

Upon hearing Julia's voice Ridon turned away from the body he had been looking on. “Yeah. I'll say my final good byes later.”

For a moment Julia didn't respond but she had an idea of what Ridon was thinking. “I know that the temptation is great especially when you consider the conditions of the sisters body. However, as well preserved as they seem they're not natural bodies and respond poorly to being turned into undead.”

Ridon, “When was the last time that was tried? We've learned a lot since then and even if her body wouldn't function like it once did she'd still be back with us. She'd be with me again.”

Julia, “It was tried by necromancers who have far more knowledge and experience then we do. If the ancient Luvarians had been able to extend a sisters performance time by restoring her as one of the undead don't you believe they would have?”

Ridon, “Perhaps they were using techniques meant to be used on humanoids instead of constructs! I've been studying the old studies of the sisters and seeing how it could related to necromancy ever since the files were opened up. I might be able to do something for her.”

It was clear to Julia that Ridon was grieving however she'd seen those records as well and there was nothing to make her believe they were ready to begin restoring the sisters as undead. “We have other things to attend to. If you want to try to convince the brothers afterwords that we should make such an attempt that's your choice. However, you know what can go wrong with such spells. Are you prepared for the consequences of not just failure but what happens if something else gets into the body or the connection is flawed?”

There was no immediate response from Ridon. The corpse of a sister was too valuable of a resource for him to just try to raise her. He knew that Julia would stop him if he made such an attempt. He also knew that it would be difficult to get the approval of the others without hers. “Julia if I were to ask the brothers for permission to use necromancy to raise a sister would you support me.”

Julia, “No.” It didn't surprise Julia whenever she heard Ribon growl. He was in deep grieving at the moment but he would have to deal with it. They had a purpose here. “We came to examine how these two sisters died and if a third is at fault. All your sisters are waiting for the ceremony to release their feelings and until then working as hard as they can to do what is required. Now it's time for you to show equal resolve.”

Ridon, “The only reason I began learning necromancy was so I could extend my life to match that of the woman I love! Now I have no reason to continue down this cursed path. No more reason to manipulate the corpses and hear the whispers of spirits in my ears asking to let them take the body!” A cold chill ran down Ribon's spine as Julia looked at him. She had been mentoring him for some time now so of course she would disagree with him no longer having a reason. Her reasons wasn't his own.

Julia, “Leave.”

Ribon, “What?”

Julia, “I called you here to teach you something and give you a better understand of the working of a sister's body. You were to support me in the casting as well but in your condition you would be of no help at best and more likely a hindrance. Now leave.” Speaking with those who had died, seeing how they died, making corpses move once again, warping flesh and draining life from the living. These things required a certain mind set and a resolve. Julia knew that Ribon had it but at the moment he was poisoned by grief.

At first Ribon felt his throat go dry. He wanted to say something and his lips moved to do so but no words came out. Julia's eyes looked back at him with that same cold stair she always wore. Did she truly care about the sisters or was she only taking advantage of the situation to advance her necromancy to later leave them? She probably didn't care about the sisters in the least being an outsider female. She didn't love them. The thoughts flashed through his mind but Robin couldn't speak them rather he found his feet carrying him out the door.

As Ribon walked out of the room Julia still knew she would be help to do this safely. Fortunately there was help readily at hand and rather affordable. With these thoughts she focused her thoughts and forced a name to the front of her mind. Grizon formed in her mind and her lips spoke. “I required your aid spirit in keeping with our accord come forth.

There was no move from Grizon to enter into the physical world but he felt Julia's pull and responded to it. “What is that you desire from me?”

Julia, “I am going to take the memories from these once living and you're going to aid me in the process.” When dealing with Grizon Julia didn't bother with her regular polite ways. The spirit and she had an agreement. They used one another and that was effectively where their relationship ended. It kept things simple and both of them benefited from the mutual use.

There was no hostility towards Julia despite her choice of words. Grizon preferred her strait forward way and both of them knew what they would be getting. “Then lets begin. I have my own agendas and the longer I'm with you the more likely I'll miss out on an opportunity to gain strength.”

Julia, “Okay Cita I'm going to start with you. Hopefully one of them will contain enough information to find out what happened so we don't have to examine the other one. Grizon I'm going to need you to provide me with additional energy to make this work and help process the information to find what I want. Your responsibilities don't extend beyond those two. You are not permitted to feed on the corpses either.” As she finished speaking Julia placed her hands on either side of Cita's head. Naturally the Luvarians recognized the danger of having a construct with a memory necromancers or other mages could search. Yet they also realized the value in it as well if the corpse had been recovered. So they had made searching a sisters memory tricky and with very few bodies to work with if any it was unlikely an outside necromancer could do so. Fortunately Julia had several of the Luvarian's documents on the subject and the research of the past brothers.

She needed energy? Grizon couldn't help but look around the room. If she was willing to drain power from the corpses in the room she would have more then enough energy for this task and wouldn't have to demand anything from him. Apparently she desired to keep those bodies whole for some reason. Perhaps she was just demanding the energy from him to insure she gained as much from their contract as she could. He sure intended to do the same to her when it was time to collect payment. As the spirit felt some of its energy fading it also felt a small bit of the energy returning to it. The energy had changed in shape and color to reflect the memory contained within the body. Now it had to begin taking that information and forming it so that a flesh being could understand it.

While she cast the spell Julia had to be careful about how she worked the energy into Cita's body and how she brought it out to make sure it was a true reflection of the information. This task was difficult enough. Grizon then handled the translation of that information into a useful form. This was the task she had intended to leave up to Ribon as there was no way for her to handle both at the same time. Unfortunately there was a third step as she felt the information flow into her. Assimilating the information would take some time as well. There was no way she could process the information while casting the spell after all.

Grizon knew that Julia wasn't even tapping into her own energy. She was just making use of his so she wouldn't tire herself out. Their contract kept them from fighting against one another in most cases so there wasn't a trust issue. So why was she making him provide the energy for the spell? “You know if you leave me too exhausted I'll be vulnerable to attack from other spirits.”

Julia, “Quiet! You may hide in my locket until you've recovered.” Julia's regular cold tone had changed to one of slight annoyance upon hearing Grizon speak. She needed to focus to insure she didn't flaw the spell and the information gained from it.

It was impossible for Grizon not to be annoyed. He had been serious whenever he told Julia that he had his own plans. A powerful elder wyvern was nearing the end of his life span. Grizon had been watching him before being summoned and had intended to feed on the creature's death. If Julia left him exhausted he wouldn't be able to risk being in the open and would have to take her up on the offer to hide in her locket.

***********************************************************************************

Zarena set quietly looking out over the remains of the village. She couldn't recognize anything but she couldn't recognize anything when she had awoken earlier. They might not notice it but the town did change if slowly and what she had once known had been gone when she woke up. Things had changed more then she realized as she considered what was doing. She wouldn't be able to relent on the sisters when it came to the spirit hunters that was a must. She also needed to speak to them about their own physical conditioning. All sisters were naturally strong, fast and armed with deadly weapons. They had an instinctual desire to hunt and feed but hunting wasn't war. She was going to speak to them about their neglect of combat training as well. She would have to praise them for staying united at least. She had feared that one day she would awaken and find their society had broken into two or three.

Nathan, “Hello lovely lady. You seem distracted.”

Immediately Zarena's eyes turned towards Nathan at the same time her hand lowered towards him with her palm facing upward. “I've been allowing my mind to wonder about the coming hours and what me and my sisters are going to talk about. I'm glad that none of them have forgotten that despite all our strength we can't survive on our own. We need our brothers there with us if we're to develop as a species and as a people.”

None of them? Immediately Nathan realized that Zarena was mistaken in her choice of words. He chose not to mention that mistake to her though. “Are you still feeling alright?”

Zarena, “You mean do I desire to eat something? I'm doing fine. I fed while fighting the Amalgam and the energy you've been supplying me has worked quite well. That reminds me I have yet to speak in detail with the brother who developed that life bloom you mentioned or even try the fruit from it. Before I sleep I'll have to do both. For now it's good to hold you again.” While she had been speaking Nathan had climbed into her hand and moved to the center of Zarena's palm. Now she raised her fingers up around him in order to provide some protection as she lifted him.

Nathan, “Don't forget to talk about the idea of keeping a sleeper in an awakened state from now on even if it's in a rotational pattern. This is the first time in a long time that we've even been able to consider such a notion.”

Zarena, “Nathan I can't do that as a sleeper. It would appear that I'm trying to take even more then I already have. If such a suggestion is to be made then it will have to be the brothers who approach the situation and I will have to remain out of it.”

Every brother was used to being picked up by a sister. However being lifted by Zarena was an entirely different situation. Matrons could easily hold a person in a single hand but often their fingers were made to wrap around you. When Zarena lifted you her hand engulfed your entire being. It became the ground beneath your feet and to some extent the walls to your side. The only thing that it was missing was the sky. With Zarena's smiling face looking down at him Nathan felt like she became his entire world whenever she held him and he was happy with that. “It might be a hard suggestion for me to make considering how fond of you I am. I'll just have to make my argument that we need a sleeper to help us during this time of recovery and to share their wisdom all the stronger.”

Zarena, “Yet this time of change and recovery will end and so will that argument.”

A large grin formed on Nathan's face even as he looked up at Zarena. “Yet we stand ready to increase our energy supplies. Joseph gave us a wonderful tool but others have been developing it. Besides from what I hear he has another idea as to how the sisters could sustain themselves. Perhaps we're moving towards a time whenever the sleepers won't need to sleep anymore.”

For a moment Zarena said nothing but looked back towards the forest once again. “That would be wonderful but that means we'd have to come up with a new name. Nathan if I do have to sleep once again what are your intentions?”

Nathan, “I intend to be around whenever you next are awakened and that isn't just wishful thinking. I'm not sure if I should throw myself even more deeply into the development of new energy sources or work on extending my life span first but I don't plan to die while you're sleeping.” Even as Nathan spoke he didn't mention that he was considering some unsavory ways to extend his life span. None that would harm the forest but he wasn't certain if he wanted to give up his humanity.

Zarena, “That is a welcome thought and I appreciate it but don't do anything that would kill the you who's standing in my hand now.” Turning her gaze back towards Nathan it was a bit depressing. She had met many brothers briefly during times of awakening but she had become very close to Nathan in a short time period. Was that because she was becoming more desperate for a connection with each awakening, due to the extra time she had spent awake or was there something about him?

Nathan, “Now what has you chuckling?”

To Zarena Nathan's question was a surprise as even she hadn't realized she was laughing. Despite a slight fog of sadness she was made to smile. “I was just wondering if I became a sleeper for so long so that I could meet with you. If I had lived out my natural life span I probably would have been dead before you were even born.”

Nathan, “Zarena! That's an awfully romantic way of thinking about the situation.”

Zarena, “I suppose so. But that means you'll have to make certain to be here whenever I next awaken or I'll be so sad that I'll end up crying. Now what do you think that would do to our sisters to see a sleeper crying?”

Nathan, “Now that would be a site. So what subject do you plan to address first tonight?”

Zarena, “The reformation of the spirit hunters and this annoying notion that our brothers are made from glass. I can understand why they would see you as delicate but you don't protect someone by leaving them in a delicate state. You help them to grow stronger even if you don't stop protecting them.”

Listening to Zarena was strange. It was clear she had a different impression of what the brothers were suppose to be like then current sisters. “Zarena how capable where the ancient brothers in combat?”

Zarena, “Well for example. I have noticed that you rarely go into the forest with the sisters and I can only imagine what kind of protection you have with you when you do go. The generation of sisters I belonged to typically had a brother join every other sister on patrol to search for any form of imbalance or sign that things weren't going wrong. They would then fix it on the spot or if necessary send a message back to the citadel asking for assistance.”

Nathan, “Didn't that limit the amount of time they could devote studying ways to improve food supply? Our sisters were the largest they had been in a long time even upon Joseph's arrival. If we had been out in the forest.”

Zarena, “The brothers would have been actively practicing their magic and interacting directly with the plant life of the forest. If you then account for the alchemical nature of those forest plants and how important hands on study is then it's quite possible that by restricting your activity the sisters have slowed down your societies rate of progression.” As Zarena looked down at Nathan she was happy to see that he was still grinning. Her response had clearly caught him off guard. “That's the danger of speculation. You can't be certain that by becoming more isolated the brothers have somehow increased their rate of development. All that you can know for certain is that the sisters sacrificed a major source of military strength in the name of protecting you and the brothers allowed it to be taken away.”

A long sigh was made to escape Nathan as he looked up at Zarena. “From the documents I've seen the brothers never were front line fighters though and allowed themselves to be taken off the battle field when it was clear that a significant danger to them posed no threat to a sister. Are you going to tell me that is flawed as well?”

Zarena, “They are two issues here to address. Current sisters seem to subscribed to the idea that because you're naturally weaker then them by a large degree you need their protection from every threat. Now as you are protected by them from every threat you don't need to learn to defend yourself. That is remarkably flawed. We can't be with you all the time and a strong target is much easier to defend then a weak. My niece Itana had a pet wyvern named spikes and it was the safest pet in the village because no young sister would dare try to eat him.”

Nathan, “She had a pet wyvern! As in the village pet wyvern?”

Zarena, “Well yes in the village. She didn't let spikes out of her site whenever she was in the village of course and he was very well trained. And.” For a moment Zarena went silent as she considered Nathan's response. “Do they even let you have pets larger then a wolf anymore!”

Nathan, “Well. No. The largest pets typically allowed are birds.”

No immediate response came from Zarena as she looked at Nathan. “Please tell me that some of these birds are birds of prey.”

Nathan, “Only if you count insects.”

Zarena, “I. I. I can't believe this.” Taking in a deep breath Zarena was careful not to inhale Nathan but she didn't consider the influence it had on him. Had she looked at him and realized his proximity to her face she would have noticed both his clothes and hair being ruffled.

Nathan, “I take it the changes are more drastic then you realized.”

Zarena, “Nathan do you believe the ancient Luvarians would have tolerated their creations treating them like invalids? Yes they were weaker then us physically but some of them knew spells that could protect them from boulders and even send a sister running for cover.”

How much more capable in battle were the brothers of Zarena's time? It was question Nathan knew Zarena could answer but he didn't want to ask that question. “Zarena the brothers of your time. They didn't function like we did but we've always strove to make our situation better. To find better ways for our sisters to sustain themselves. How did the brothers of the past do that?”

Zarena, “They didn't work on improving the amount of energy we obtained from eating for one thing which is one of the major benefits your sisters have. You provide them with alchemical potions and even infuse their preserved food with magic. They were more focused on recreating the energy system the Luvarians used to provide us with energy and thus focused their efforts on studying the citadel and forcing their way in further.”

Nathan, “Forcing their way! That's never succeeded.”

Zarena, “Which generation do you believe was the one that found out that's never succeeded? They were always trying to find new ways into the citadel of figuring out ways to bypass the protective glyphs without upsetting the guardians. I once saw my brother and I mean biological brother Azon carried out by one of the citadel protectors. She actually packed him out the front door and set him down on the steps. She even took a moment to pat his head before walking off.” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as she remembered the image. “He was furious!”

Nathan, “Did they let him back in?”

Zarena, “Yeah but only after three weeks when he managed to get back in without us knowing. We were worried that after angering the citadel protectors they might kill him if he returned. I went looking for him when he didn't show up for dinner and found him in the library scribbling away in a book. There was a protector around ten meters away from him but she didn't seem to be hostile, worried or even paying attention to him. She was busy working on one of the books that had apparently been damaged. Hey have you ever seen a brother fall asleep at a table and a protector put his books up?”

As Zarena spoke Nathan couldn't help but feel rather alarmed. They rarely saw the protectors anymore and yet Zarena was talking about watching one work. Then the notion that they would put away the books of a sleeping brother seemed even more surprising. “Did that truly happen?”

Zarena, “It wasn't common but most brothers didn't work themselves to exhaustion like that either. It did happen from time to time though and I even saw one doing it. Watching her gently lift the sleeping brother from his seat for a moment to adjust his position then retrieve the books really shattered any fear I had of the protectors. I spent a lot of time at the citadel myself when I was younger and I only saw one frightening moment. Two brothers started to fight in the library and we're preparing to start using magic. Before they could a protector grabbed both their arms and broke them dropping both brothers to the floor. I swear they're so gentle so long as they don't believe you're going to damage the citadel but if they think you are they put an end to it fast.”

Nathan, “Then how did your brother get set outside?”

Zarena, “He had been trying to force his way past a glyph by disrupting the magic and pushing himself into the mystic barrier. I honestly think the protector set him outside to give him time to cool off and keep him from hurting himself. Azon you see had a bit of a temper and was quite determined. He could get a bit reckless with his magic when something wasn't working like he intended especially when he believed more force would solve the problem.”

Nathan, “So was he a spirit hunter?”

Zarena, “Yes but not like you were thinking. The spirit hunters have to be able to channel their magic through their body which Azon could do. The problem was he was too aggressive in his use of magic. This tended to make him a powerful mage but it meant he would destroy his body using certain spirit hunter techniques. He trained to level three but never showed the control that's necessary to go further in his training. After that he focused on his mage craft and did very well at that. Actually now that I'm awake there is something I'd like to look at.”

Nathan, “What is that?”

Zarena, “Azon was still alive whenever I became a sleeper. He also said that he would do his best to end our energy crisis but he left me something in the event that he died before that time came. He wrote a book in which he kept the happenings of his day to day life, interesting development in our society and other details. I try to read it whenever I'm awake but I'm awake for such a short period of time that I never make much progress.”

Nathan, “What? Where is that book?” As he spoke Nathan could feel his heart rate speeding up. The fact that Zarena would have an extremely difficult time turning pages in a book hadn't occurred to him yet. He had no reason to doubt her word after all so if she said she had a book she had a book.

Zarena, “I keep it in my private storage in my chamber. Nathan if you're about to ask me to dedicate it to the library the answer is no. That book is one of the few things I have from my family and I'm not finished with it yet. If I was to awaken and find out something had happened to it I don't know what I would do.”

Nathan, “When you say a book are you actually talking about paper?”

Zarena, “No. He seemed to take into account how long I would be sleeping and didn't make it from anything so delicate. If you were to look at it then it appears as a sheet of copper with some markings on the bottom of it. You just tap the marking gently and letters appear. You then tap the ones you want like turning the pages of a book. I use to fear waking up and finding out that the magic had been disrupted and I would never finish it. Then I reached page twelve where he finally mentioned that there were actually solid copies of the book inside the copper plate and that the magic was just viewing what was inside the copies not retaining information.” A delighted giggle escaped Zarena. “I was so mad at him! Had he still been around I might have spanked him for not telling me something that important sooner. Even if the magic is disrupted I just have to have a mage brother fix it.”

Even as she spoke Nathan already knew how to fix such a spell. The plating was most likely just for protection and carried a few glyphs with it. It even seemed probable that repairing the plate would involve little more then directing energy into it. “It sounds like he really made it to last. Zarena even if you don't want to dedicate it to the library would it be alright if I read his writings?”

Zarena, “Yes and you may copy them if you desire. However, that book isn't to leave my chamber even if I'm asleep. I can't promise that you'd get caught removing it from my room but if I did awaken and saw it being removed I would not respond well.”

Nathan, “Of course. It's important to you. It looks like it's about time for me to be on my way.” As Nathan spoke he looked up towards the sky past even Zarena's face.

Zarena, “Yeah. You should come by and visit me once the meeting is over. I would offer to go visit you in your home but I fear that I would end up breaking something on my way there.”

***********************************************************************************

Flora currently set with Mira and Maria waiting for the wrest of the sisters to make their way to the meeting place. Due to Zarena's scale and the need to accommodate matrons as well they were meeting outside though rather far from the village. She didn't need to look to know that Zarena was coming to join them as she felt the influence of her foot steps. A second set of rather heavy foot steps got her attention though they didn't even compare to Zarena's. Giving the proximity she knew who they belonged to. “Are you going to be joining us Mina?”

Mina, “Naturally. It looks like we all made it a little early.”

Mira, “Perhaps they're trusting all the important decision to us.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she looked towards Zarena. “Given what we will be talking about that I highly doubt it. Hey Zarena! How are the ears feeling?”

Upon hearing Mina's voice Zarena's gaze instantly went towards her. “Honestly my left ear is still a little sore. I'm a little worried that it didn't heal quite right and I'm going to have to cut it again. At least this time I can have the brothers work on it to insure that it heals properly.”

Mina, “You probably just inserted your claws too deep. Then again it might be due to using your claws. Do they carry some extra damage with all that energy running through them?”

Zarena, “Yes they do.” A sigh escaped Zarena as she settled down. Whenever she scratched something she didn't do just physical damage she did spiritual as well. This tended to hinder healing and increase the odds that something wouldn't heal properly. “So Mina if my ears haven't healed properly do you believe you could cut them for me?”

Mina, “I'm pretty certain that I could. So feel free to ask after you've had the brothers give your ear a look. Kerara! It's good to see you!”

Kerara had a wide grin on her face as she looked at Mina. Due to her intensive training and physical development many thought of Kersara as a smaller but faster version of Mina. Granted Kersara's muscles were due to intense training while Mina's were brought about by a mutation. Given that Mina had willingly been put into a coma to conserve food for the community though Kersara didn't have any hostility towards her. “Yeah, I didn't realize how badly I missed my home until I got back. Of course then I learned you bunch of slackers had let those kobolds burn most of it down.”

Flora, “Yeah Mina. What were you all doing while we were away fighting the Amalgam?”

Mina, “Well we had to protect the brothers and.” Mina found herself going silent upon hearing an annoyed snort from Zarena. Immediately she knew the conversation was approaching a danger zone and turned her eyes towards the sleeper. “Is that something we should save for when the others get here?”

Zarena, “I would appreciate it.”

***********************************************************************************

Nathan, “How did looking into their memories go?”

Julia, “I can remember the fight but I can't remember what started the fight yet. The more their memories become clear to me the more concerned I'm becoming though. I have a very strong feeling that there was a third person involved in these happenings.”

Nathan, “I see. So I heard from Ridon that you sent him out calling him too emotional. The fact that he came to me to complain about your actions actually has me worried. How emotionally distressed do you believe he actually is?”

Julia, “He isn't fit to help examine the sister's bodies at this point but not allowing him to do so will only make him worse. They are too valuable of a resource for us to allow his emotional immaturity to hinder our work.” As she spoke Julia finally turned to look at Nathan. She had been examining a few notes she'd written down from the sister's memories. Unlike her own natural memories these wouldn't remain with her for long so she had to record important details.

That was Julia. She had been brought to them as a child. Her parents had actually been sending the young girl into the forest to gather valuable herbs while not risking themselves. The sister who had found her had taken pity on the young lady and brought her to the village. Nathan could still remember her as a happy smiling child. He wasn't certain when she'd lost so much of her warmth. “So what do you believe we should do?”

Julia, “Make sure he isn't alone or he might end up harming himself but give him space as best you're able. Perhaps it would be best if his mother spent some time with him if that's possible. Nathan there is something that I've been wanting to talk to you about.”

Nathan, “What is that?”

Julia, “I believe that you should put me in charge of developing the spirit hunter program regardless of what the sisters decide and allow me to become the first one. Once I succeed the sisters will feel more comfortable with other brothers learning to become spirit hunters. Plus as a human female I will be seen as more expendable by them and not trigger their protective instinct as readily.”

Nathan, “Julia! You make it sound like the other sisters don't care about you in the least!”

Julia, “I never said that. However, I am not one of them and unless I lay with a brother I have no hope of giving birth to a sister. They also see me as competition for the affection of the brothers thus my removal is easier for them to accept. If I succeed however then it will be easier for them to accept me later.”

Nathan, “They have accepted you though.”

Julia, “They have accepted me as a brother that can't hope to give them a child. They have not accepted me as a sister that they'd be comfortable losing a brother to.”

Nathan, “You have a point there. Even if you could match a sister using your magic it would be hard for them to accept you unless you can do so physically. Becoming a spirit hunter might force a change of attitude. After all you could stand by us in both the physical and spiritual world in that event. You already have a lot of experience working with such energies as well and even altering your body.”

Julia, “Indeed. It sounds like I have your support in becoming a spirit hunter then. On another case. Nathan would you take some time to speak with Ridon? I would speak with him myself but it's difficult for me to comfort someone while retaining my emotional control and well I can't risk losing that. The last time I did I ended up burning off the tips of my own fingers.”

Nathan, “I remember. You were pretty angry. I wonder if the training as a spirit hunter will condition your body to channel such aggressive magics better. Why the change of method in dealing with Ridon when you just suggested giving him some space?”

Julia, “It is my hope that it will. It would be nice to allow myself to experience emotions beyond mild annoyance or amusement and not have to worry about injuring someone or myself. I was reading some text a few weeks past and became frustrated with the main character only to find the book rotting in my hands.” Despite her attention to retain her composure Julia was made to release a sigh. “I was not amused by that happening either. As for my change in methods with Ridon. I just remembered that it's nice knowing someone cares about you when you're grieving. Just be careful if it's a sister that tries to comfort him. He needs to know someone cares but they can be overbearing.”

To this Nathan gave a nod. Not all areas of magic behaved the same and even within the same area they were different ways of learning and different behaviors. Julia had chosen to attune herself quite strongly to her mystic abilities which gave her an increase in power and made them more responsive. Unfortunately it also made them easier to trigger requiring one to keep tight control on their emotions and thoughts. “I'll have a word with him. I notice that you're directing him away from the path of study you used.”

Julia, “Nathan. I adore what my magic allows me to do for us. I've learned to hold back decay to make our food last longer. I've learned to take spiritual energies from one sources and store it in another even storing life energy. However, I detest having to contain my passions like this. Honestly I fear that is the true reasons the sisters won't accept me. How can I claim I love a brother whenever I hardly form a smile whenever holding his hand?”

Nathan, “The fact that you gave up so much for the community should prove that.”

Julia, “Perhaps but convincing beings who are used to being so free with their affection to see that isn't something I've managed to do yet.”

***********************************************************************************

With all the sisters gathered Fera stood up and moved to stand between the main body of the sister's and Zarena. “I'm grateful that you all have gathered here. We have much to discuss and a great deal to do in many areas. Many of you have concerns and they will be attended to but they are some concerns that we must resolve first. The first one I want to speak about is our failure in detecting the Amalgam, our failure to protect the brothers that had to journey to the spirit realm and how that can be corrected.”

That was Fera for you. Flora had a wide grin on her face as she could practically feel Fera's words cutting away at every sister who listened to them. It was Fera's nature to go for the attack as Fera seemed to quiet for a moment Flora chose to speak up. “I don't want this to happen but I can't think of an alternative. That's what I've been hearing from a great many of us and from myself. I've also heard talk about having the orcs protect the spirit realm. What rights would we be willing to give them for protection of the spirit realm? As we've clearly seen the spirit world is very much a part of our world and should we chose to task the orcs with protecting it then one we might say half the forest is under their protection.”

Tera, “We can't give up half the forest and we can't rely on the orcs to defend us!” Even though she was just a guardian Tera couldn't help but both speak and stand. We also can't rely on outsiders to protect our home. What would the previous generations say to us if we just handed over half our home?”

As she listened to the crowd Zarena couldn't help but look down at Flora. She had worried that Flora would support the notion of having the orcs manage the spirit realm. Instead it seemed like she was getting the issue upfront and out of the way. Of course the gathering of sister's hadn't changed. Zarena could hear at least a dozen debates going on as more sisters began to speak up. Yet at the same time she noticed that the keepers, matrons and herself were being quiet. The others would quiet down when one of them spoke but they needed a moment. She was surprised whenever everyone went silent but a keeper or higher didn't speak but rather one with the presence of a keeper.

Kersara, “I have fought with the orcs and seen their ability. They aided us in our time of need and fought with our brothers in the spirit realm. They're friends to me. So if I hear one more of you insult them I'm going to knock some of your teeth out.” While Kersara had been listening she had noticed a few conversations deviate into why the orcs couldn't protect the spirit realm. The insults she had heard as justification had been enough to prompt a response from her and her threat seemed to quiet such comments. “Now earlier today I spoke with Nathan and at the time I couldn't think of an alternative to reformation of the spirit hunters. That has changed. Our brothers have made contracts with spirits in the past. Couldn't we secure the services of a few powerful spirits and have them watch the spirit realm?”

Immediately Zarena gave a flinch upon hearing the sister's respond to that suggestion. The level of approval actually made her tail twitch as she felt herself heating up. It was Mina who responded. “We are not going to trust the protection of our home to anyone who isn't part of the family!” As Mina spoke she put as much power into her voice as possible. The end result being that all but the closest and most trusting of her friends were made to violently recoil. “I am currently carrying a new life within me a sister and I won't have our home her future safe guarded but someone who is not our family.”

Sora, “It would never work to begin with. You're all forgetting two things. We can't make contracts with spirits that depends entirely on our brothers. Contracting a spirit is tricky business and they can be corrupted. I know this because I've listened to Mirin throwing a fit when something went wrong when dealing with spirits. So the brothers aren't going to be behind it. Secondly the brothers are going to reform the spirit hunters no matter what we think.”

Zarena felt herself calm down but her whiskers were made to twitch upon hearing Sora's last comment even as a roar came up from many sisters. A large grin broke out across her face and she had to keep from laughing. “Sora what makes you say that?”

Sora, “They've spent the last few days digging up every book on the matter they can find and constructing the training program over again. They've already spoken to me about contacting some outside help and they've even began selecting who the first group of spirit hunters are going to be. I also know they've also spoken to several matrons about the issue and insured that their freedom of choice in this matter would be protected. Isn't that right Lanora?”

Lanora, “You were listening!”

Sora, “Lanora I'm almost always listening to what our brothers are doing. That and the sisters.”

Lanora, “That's a rude habit you have there. I understand that you like going around and not letting anyone see you but ease dropping isn't nice.” As she spoke Lanora wasn't surprised to see that Sora had already concealed her presence. Even whenever speaking with Sora face to face it was hard to be certain how long you'd be able to see that face.

Sora, “Let's get back to the matter at hand. We can't talk about if the brothers will form the spirit hunters or not. If we try to stop them the most we can hope for is to be slapped with our recent failings and for the brothers to resume their efforts. That is unless some of you are considering using physical force to stop them in which case I will stand with our brothers in this matter and I'm sure several more will. What we need to do is come up with suggestions as to who's going to become the first spirit hunters.”

Tera, “You said that they've already began making their choices. Who is the first?”

Sora, “Julia is going to be the first.” It didn't surprise Sora whenever she heard a rush of murmurs move throughout the gathering of sisters. They all knew who Julia was in this instance as there was only one female with both the name Julia and the ability to use magic. From what she heard they weren't entirely certain about how they should feel about that choice.

Nora, “Well she isn't really a sister. I mean. She can't protect the brothers like we can.”

Mina, “It sounds to me that she's preparing to protect them better then we can.” At first Mina had been surprised to hear Julia's name mentioned but it had only taken a moment of consideration to see why. “It's nice that they're thinking of us. After all if Julia can achieve a high enough level safely she'll serve as evidence that other brothers can as well given that she's pure human. Plus she's making use of the fact that we don't see her with the same protective eyes that we see our brothers. Of course, once she does succeed if the spirit hunters are as powerful as believed then we won't be able to say that she isn't powerful enough to protect a brother any longer. In fact as she'd be able to be with them in both the physical and spiritual world she has quite an advantage. This doesn't sound good for those of you hoping to compete with her who don't already have a mate.”

As she listened to Mina Flora felt her smile growing. “Mina do you believe that's what Julia is really up to?”

Mina, “Kiara you would know better then any of us.”

As one of the sisters who tended to the village at night Kiara was grateful for the meeting being held late for the others. Yet she still wasn't entirely awake and gave her eyes several blinks. “It wouldn't be surprising. She doesn't tend to like being treated like a brother. At times it really does infuriate her.”

Tera, “How can you tell?”

Kiara, “She has emotions you know. They're just subtle.”

Not every sister was social. Most of these sisters either worked away from the village or did things that were best done at night. Kiara was one of these sisters and thus saw the world differently then most of the sisters did. It was so rare that even Flora didn't know what Kiara's stance on the brothers were. “Kiara what brothers do you believe should be trained as spirit hunters?”

Kiara, “Julia, Mirin, Nathan, Martin and Dan.”

Mina, “Why do you say Dan?”

Kiara, “Well he clearly needs something to toughen him up for you.” A slight chuckle escaped Kiara as she turned to look at Mina and noted the expression on her face. Dan tended to begin working at the alchemy shop early so Kiara saw him often enough. She had seen the results of the rough nights. “Besides if a sister who loves her mate as much as you love Dan approves of the training then no one else should have grounds to protest. The only problem with that is that Dan is an alchemist and I'm not sure how well that works for them. Then again Sora and Mirin are quite close as well. Mirin is probably the second best choice after Julia to be honest.”

Tera, “How could you suggest Nathan though? He's one of the elder brothers.”

A sigh escaped Kiara as she looked at Zarena. “He seemed plenty energetic during his intimate time with Zarena. Hey Zarena how about speaking up? Is Nathan fit enough to become a spirit hunter and do you know if alchemist can be trained in it?”

Immediately Zarena felt herself beginning to blush. “Well. Initially the training for an alchemist to become a spirit hunter is slower then for a mage. That is whenever they're first leaning to channel the energies. It becomes easier for them once they reach the higher ranks then for the mages though as the alchemist body is typically better conditioned for the changes that go along with progression as a spirit hunter.”

Kiara, “That's good. Now Dan is one of our best alchemist. How do you believe this will help his productivity?”

Zarena, “It will slow down his work without a doubt. However, the training could also offer him greater insight in the working of magic that could improve his work. The spirit hunters didn't just protect the spirit realm.”

After a moment Kiara gave a nod. “Okay now how about Nathan's fitness?'

It had been Zarena's intention to dodge that question. She had hoped it was done whenever she answered Kiara's first question but apparently she was ready to bring it up again. “Nathan is in better physical condition then he tends to give on.”

Kiara, “How much better.”

Nora, “Um Kiara, I think you've let your mind get off subject.”

A sharp chuckle escaped Kiara followed by a large grin. “I suppose I have. You know what we could do if we really wanted to play it safe? Julia could begin the training several months before any brothers. That would let them get a good idea of the stresses the training puts on the body and give them a better idea of how to adjust the training. Then when the males begin to be trained as spirit hunters Julia could teach them. I'm sure she would love the one on one time with the brothers and once they began entering the spirit realms we couldn't interfere in the least. She probably even has a few brothers in mind that she'd love to train personally.” As she finished speaking Kiara couldn't help but chuckle even as she felt the eyes of the sisters upon her. She knew that she was rubbing them the wrong way but unless they overcame their dislike of the brother's training as spirit hunters it would happen.

The name Atia flashed through Zarena's mind as she looked at Kiara. She had been a quiet sister who always had more information then those around her it seemed due to the way she worked. At least she was quiet most of the time. Once that mouth began running though she was either friendly as can be or rubbing someone the wrong way. “Kiara you've been talking about keeping the brothers safe but do you trust this Julia and would you call her a friend.”

Kiara, “I'd call her my sister! Julia was found by my mother who is remaining oddly quiet a few decades ago and raised along with me.”

As Irina listened to her daughter she couldn't help the furious blush that was covering her face. She had been prepared to defend her adoptive daughter but then Kiara had started speaking. Her fur hid her bright blush but anyone near her could smell it. How her sweet little Kiara had ended up with such a warped sense of humor was beyond her but she was proud to see her girl sticking up for her sister. “It's true that Julia is a very trust worthy girl who I'd feel confident leaving any brother with.”

Zarena, “Hm, what is Julia exactly? I'm guessing she has some magic training.”

Irina, “My little Julia is one of the five necromancers we currently have and the most successful one despite her young age. However, she's paid for her training dearly. I believe nine years ago she underwent a ritual to increase her power but ever since then she has been forced to rigidly control her emotions.”

Zarena, “Oh! She's a channeler then. I knew a few brothers like that back in my time. I swear you would think Niton was a fire elemental whenever he became really worked up or prepared for battle.  Well your Julia has my backing to become the first spirit hunter in however long I don't want to know. She can then begin training other brothers but I believe we should leave it up to her who she chooses to train.” A collective what from many sisters seemed to strike Zarena at once. “Once she has undergone the training she'll be the most knowledgeable about it and thus the best suited to begin training others.”

Fera, “I'll support her as well. Well actually are there any matrons or keepers who won't support Julia becoming the first spirit hunter?” Fera hardly bothered to look around even after asking the questions. She knew that the matrons would support Julia in this. Keepers also tended to be very open minded and reasonable as well so she doubted that there would be any protest.

When Sora had mentioned the dangers of making deals with spirits Kersara had felt as if she'd been chastised. It was not thinking of such important issues that wold keep her from becoming a keeper. It was then that she felt a hand clearly the hand of a keeper come to wrest upon her shoulder. “Alora?”

Alora, “Kersara even keepers don't always agree on things. The fact that you tried to think of an alternative and you were brave enough to tell us about it speaks well of you. Your taking up for the orcs was brave as well.”

Kersara, “Thanks Alora.”

Alora, “No problem.” As she finished speaking Alora stood up. “Well then how do we approach our brothers about this? If you don't mind I'll just go speak with Mirin or Nathan and let them know that the sisters would prefer if Julia became the first of the spirit hunters while the others waited to observe. We can explain that she should be given at least three months advanced training before anyone else even considers training as a spirit hunter.”

Mina, “That sounds fine to me but what if they refuse to only train one spirit hunter? After all one won't be enough to watch the entire forest and in reality having two people training together often improves the rate of improvement.”

Flora, “We could just promote Landon from a claimed to an unclaimed and have him begin the training with Julia. He's well trained in magic and from the way Alexa speaks of him he'd make for a wonderful brother.”

Alexa, “What! Landon is a hard working mage and I fully trust him but he has almost no battle experience. Besides he's mine for the time being and I won't have you risking his life.”

Flora, “He's only yours until he's promoted to unclaimed which he could be if he agrees to train as a spirit hunter with Julia.”

Alexa, “I object!”

Alora, “On what grounds? We've been talking about unclaiming Landon for a while now and I've spoken with him. He seems quite smitten with you and would make a nice brother.” Even as she spoke Alora knew the true reason. Alexa was smitten with Landon as well and didn't want to do anything that might result in her losing him. It was possible she would even try to keep him as a claimed in order to insure she didn't lose him. Now they had put Alexa in a dangerous situation. If she refused too strongly it would call into question whether or not she was fit as a keeper.

Alexa, “I. I. I'm scared that he won't make and it and I really care for him.” As she spoke Alexa wrapped her tail around her body in something of a hug. She felt a few hands coming to rest upon her shoulders and looked around at her sisters. “I suppose we all feel that way about someone. But Landon is such a young mage.”

Zarena, “No brothers to my knowledge died during the training to become a spirit hunter before reaching the fifth step of the training program. They were some that were severely injured  but it was always healed.”

Alexa, “What happens at rank five?”

Zarena, “Active combat experience against rogue spirits. At rank four they begin training against spirits who have been contracted with but at rank five that safety is finally removed. They tried to start off easy but it's not always possible to gauge a spirits strength perfectly.”

Alexa, “I see. But Landon wasn't even mentioned in the initial pick of the best brothers to become spirit hunters and you don't want to use people from outside of the community. Wouldn't training Landon to be a spirit hunter be trusting him with too much power?” Even as she spoke Alexa truly didn't have trouble trusting Landon. She just wanted to protect him.

Flora, “Alexa, Landon is a mage that you let work unsupervised most of the time. I don't believe trust is an issue here.”

Alexa, “Yeah. He has to agree to it right? You're not going to try to force the danger on him are you just to gain his freedom?”

Flora, “Well make sure he realizes the risk and know that this is his choice.”

Alexa, “Okay. I guess that means you have a plan then.” Even as she spoke Alexa couldn't bring herself to smile. She didn't like the way this conversation had gone and couldn't help but wish that it had been another claimed that was chosen. Even if there wasn't a significant risk she didn't like the idea of losing Landon to Julia.

Zarena, “I'm glad we were able to come to a resolution. Now I hope you don't mind but I want to speak to you all about something rather important. I know that many of you aren't going to like what I have to say but you need to hear it. You need to stop making our brothers into easy targets.” It didn't surprise Zarena whenever a loud cry of protest struck Zarena's ears. She didn't believe they sisters would like such an accusation but she was prepared for it.

Tera, “What do you mean making them easy targets? We do our best to protect them!”

Zarena, “No. You do not do your best to protect them. No matter how carefully you watch them and no matter how hard you try to keep danger away that is not the best way to protect someone. The best way to protect another is to insure that they can defend themselves. When I first became a guardian we were much smaller then what you've all been allowed to grow to and weaker. We knew that they were dangers in the forest that if encountered a brother would have to defend himself at least for a while. So they were trained to fight either using magic, alchemy or weapons they all knew how to defend themselves. Now that you've grown larger you believe that you can protect them from everything but that isn't true. Just look at your burned down village and consider who faced the Amalgam in the spirit realm.”

Flora could actually see what Zarena was saying but chose to ask to help out. “What do you mean the village?”

Zarena, “My brother Azon was an elementalist who could deflect one hundred kilogram boulders traveling seventy kilometers per hour with his wind shield and even stronger attacks with his earth barrier if given time to cast it. It took him less then five seconds to craft an exceptionally powerful lightning or fire spell and could deliver a jolt strong enough to stop a tuskers heart instantly. He was not the strongest of our brothers. A bunch of kobolds spitting basic fireballs at just a few of them would have been slaughtered within minutes. Tell me though. Kersara you suggested the brothers make a deal with certain spirits to secure the spirit realm before Sora spoke up. Let's assume that they were trying to contact such a spirit for one reason or another. How long do you believe they'd survive if the spirit chose to attack them?”

At first Kersara said nothing as she considered Zarena's question. She didn't truly know how powerful a spirit would have to be in order to safe guard the spirit realm but considering what she had seen while with the orcs she had an idea of how long they'd last. “I'm not sure if we'd be able to respond in time to save them.”

Flora, “The brothers of your generation sound rather impressive when it comes to their combat abilities. So how often were brothers badly injured while training to reach such levels of power?”

Zarena, “Quite often. I don't think we made it through a week without someone being burned or cut up a bit. Those brothers who knew how to heal considered it part of their training actually.”

Flora, “Did any of them die?”

Zarena, “Nope. The lessons were set up pretty well based on the students ability. Those cases where someone ended up with a broken arm or worse pretty much amounted to the anomalies. A brother would prove more attuned to the elements then they expected or there would be some kind of fluctuation in the environment.”

For a moment no one said anything but then Mina spoke up. “I could live with Dan learning how to fight better especially if it improved his durability. How did alchemist tend to learn to fight?”

Zarena, “They used different methods. My father Izon actually had an alchemical potion that called for the blood of a sister to complete. In fact the one he used for himself actually required blood from my mother. He explained it to me once. As alchemist used potions their bodies adapted to them and they learned to adapt the potions. By using my mother as the primary source of blood he was able to adapt to it and bring out more of the potions power. I bet you even have some books on the methods he used if the brothers don't actively study it. The problem in your case Mina is there is no way Dan could use your blood.”

Mina, “What! Why not?”

Zarena, “The power of the potion depended on the power of the sister. The more powerful the potion the greater the strain it put on the brother's body. If Dan was to make a potion similar to what my father used and tried it then it would most likely end up causing his heart to burst. He would need to begin adapting his body using potions made from other sisters.” A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she looked at Mina. “You actually like the idea of strengthening your mate don't you?”

Mina, “I well. It does have benefits that aren't all related to protection. I don't see any harm in having our brothers develop their combat skills. Giving them the space to do so is going to be difficult of course. They probably couldn't learn to defend themselves if we were constantly stopping their attacks.”

Kersara, “Well you know there isn't any reason we couldn't be involved. They want to learn to defend themselves so they should learn to defend themselves against the most powerful predators in the forest.” Kersara wasn't surprised to hear several calls of agreement from the other sisters.

Zarena, “That's true but you'd have to be serious and actually there is something else I wanted to ask you all. I know I've already scolded you all heavily today but I don't know how much longer I”m going to be around and this needs to be said. You all need to do a better job of learning to fight. There are only a few of you that I've seen who actually know how to really bring out the maximum in their body and well more of you should be like Kersara.”

Chapter 30 by happiest_in_shadows

Maria, “I noticed that when you were fighting with the Amalgam! Zarena the way you worked your legs and moved your body my mom identified that as some form of combat technique for high speed sisters.”

Zarena, “It was! But I'm kind of sad you don't know it's name. Would you like me to teach you the basics if I have the time? With the proper fighting technique and your speed you would be quite deadly in almost any situation. What you all need to remember though is that as a species we were considered a master work by the Luvarians. As individuals we are not a master work and they had more then one master work creation. Some of these are even stored in the deeper reaches of the citadel.”

Flora, “I would love to say that we've done a fine job of holding the forest against outside powers but that's not true. We had to call upon allies and awaken you to defend it against the most recent threat. Hey Mina would you mind if I spend some time punching you to develop my form?”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she looked over at Flora. “Sure. I am not sure where you should start though. I would suggest my stomach but I'm worried that you'd end up damaging your knuckles punching me in the stomach. It would probably be best if you just focused on my shoulder. Hey I just had a great idea!” As she spoke Mina turned to Kersara. “I bet some of us are thinking about how we're going to avoid damaging the forest while training. We'll just send a group of sisters to the beach to study with you Kersara. If you're willing at least. We could even push for you to be given keeper status so there wouldn't be any confusion about who the teacher is.”

Kersara, “Huh!” As Kersara responded to Mina she couldn't help the shock in her voice. For Mina to openly mention granting her keeper status was surprising especially during such a meeting.

Mina, “Yeah! We've been talking about granting you keeper status for quite some time and I believe you're the best qualified to teach sisters how to train their bodies. The beach would be a great training area as typically sisters are more comfortable letting lose there and while they were there the training sisters could meet with the orcs and help building relationships.”

Alexa, “That is a good idea.”

There were some comments of agreement that ran throughout the sisters ranks. It was Zarena who silenced them all. “I have to admit you're all agreeing a bit more readily then I expected. You all realize that proper physical training isn't easy and there will be pain.”

Tera, “That may be true but I think we've all been feeding on humility for a while now. I've been wondering what I could do to insure this doesn't happen again and learning how to fight seems like a good idea. We really need to find some more effective means of dealing with flying enemies. I was kind of hoping that we could find a way that didn't involve leaving the village though. In fact it'd be kind of nice if the brothers could watch.” Even as the words left her lips Tera was surprised when a sigh hit hers. She knew it came from Zarena.

Zarena, “Well that hasn't changed. A lot of my sisters liked to use the training as a chance to show off their bodies and how capable they were. Especially to show off to the brothers. You should have seen Tamera when she managed to take down a keeper despite being a guardian.” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as she considered her past. She could still remember her family and friends so clearly despite all the time that had past. Would that begin to fade the longer she was awake?

Flora, “Well at least not all the changes are going to be hard to make. So what else do you need to say?”

Zarena, “Actually this next relates to everything that I've mentioned so far I've noticed some of you giving up your living accommodations for the time being but you're not making use of the citadel. Not only that but it seems that the citadel protectors have become more distant since I slept. I believe that's because you've all became more distant. Instead of giving up your homes I want you all to encourage the most trusted brothers to take up residence within the student and guest area of the citadel. Those rooms are maintained to be used after all. Furthermore you were mentioning finding a local area to practice. The citadel has a testing ground that I want you all to make use of.”

Tera, “Are you saying we should treat the citadel like any other building?”

Zarena, “Of course not! I'm saying you should treat it like the most advance facility in the world for the study and production of mystic constructs. The Luvarians meant for it to be used the protectors maintain it so that it may be used. The fact that you've chosen not to use it confuses me. Of course, the protectors are going to become distance if you don’t' visit them regularly. I believe it's wonderful that you've built a separate library and laboratory for your own use but don't neglect the one that's already here.”

Tera, You didn't have those during your time did you?”

Zarena, “Well they were plans for them but construction hadn't began. Just make sure you thank the protectors for all their hard work. Even if they don't respond to you verbally that doesn't mean they don't appreciate it.”

Flora, “What makes you so certain of that?”

Zarena, “You can tell by their behavior if they like you or not. It can be seen in the way they watch over you or check in on you from time to time. New people the citadel were always watched so carefully but after a while they were left more to their own. Then there was the way they handled you. Like I mentioned to Nathan my brother was once carried from the citadel after his reckless actions put him in danger. He was so worked up that he was actually struggling to escape from the protectors grasp even as she stepped out the door.”

Mina, “They were that close to you and your brothers?”

Zarena, “Of course We worked along side one another every day. I suppose the best story comes from little Litia. At the time she was a very young sister who had developed an obsession with scratching things to bits. One day when her mother wanted to go to the citadel she threw an absolute fit saying the sisters there were mean. It took a while but apparently she had been trying to sneak away from her mother. Each attempt had been blocked by a protector yet they had done it so stealthily that her mother hadn't noticed.”

Flora, “Wow this is an amazing amount to take in. I wonder with everything that we've resolved to do how we should actually begin. If we're going to train we need to know who and win so we don't leave any part of the forest open to attack. There is also the matter of the clean up and insuring that there is enough food.”

Zarena, “I'll finish the clean up if you all will just get out of the damaged section of the town. I wouldn't normally go there but it doesn't look like there is anything to spare. You all can begin working on figuring out where we're going to gather the materials from.”

Tera, “Do you believe we can use the damaged section of the forest that the brothers intend to purge anyway? At least it seems like we should begin gathering resources from there.”

Flora, “That's a good idea. I'm just worried that the material from that region would be tainted. Kersara you're going to be leaving us soon aren't you?”

Kersara, “Yes. I plan on making regular trips back with the help of Maria but I'm not sure if I'll be able to help with much.”

Flora, “Oh? What do you intend?” As she spoke Flora first looked to Maria then Kersara.

Kersara, “Joseph wants to use me as a lab rat.”

Flora, “I see. Oh how silly of me! Maria you should begin scouting the forest tomorrow in order to locate good regions to gather resources from. None of us can survey the forest as easily as you without damaging it.”

Fera, “Actually. Instead of sending Maria off running about how about you let me give some general directions first. I might not be able to run as fast as Maria but I can see potential regions to harvest. As for a training schedule. We are going to be over worked for months. Anyway, as for a training schedule how about we leave that up to our brothers to plan out? They're the ones that keep track of our assignments anyway.”

Mina, “That sounds good but there is another issue. What do we do with the claimed? Keep in mind their work places were destroyed in the kobold attacks as well.”

Alexa, “You're right that is a problem. They really are not strong enough to help with the reconstruction effort.”

Kersara, “You don't believe so? I believe that they could handle it with some supervision. We'll just assign them a small section of the town to work on. Give them the designs and material then put them to work. They would be in our way if we worked together but so long as we give them their own spot to work on it should be fine. I personally believe the first thing they should begin working on is their homes.”

Zarena, “Actually I wanted to speak to you all about the claimed as well. Would you all consider trading with the orcs for certain materials?” It didn't surprise Zarena when the sisters went silent and started looking around at one another. It was true the orcs had their own craftsmen. “I honestly believe that you would save resources if you worked with the orcs instead of the claimed system or at least the way it is currently. I understand that my day came before the outside world turned against us but you do have trading partners now if you'll just look at them.”

Tera, “Are you saying we should release the claimed?”

Zarena, “No!” It was impossible for Zarena to keep from chuckling as she looked down at her sisters. “I'm not saying that. They intruded in our forest and stole from us. They should have to make amends for that. I'm just saying that it wouldn't hurt to become more involved with the others who live in the forest and it would probably serve both groups.”

Alexa, “Well it would mean the claimed could work on other things. I wonder what the orcs would want in return after all they've always been independent as well. I imagine they'll ask for more territory so they can increase their population.”

Zarena, “I wouldn't recommend making that kind of agreement. I'm sure you have things they want you could trade. Just because they can go out and gather slumbers or hunt wyverns doesn't mean that they want to do so or at least not all of them want to be involved in such dangerous activities. See what you can do in terms of trade.”

***********************************************************************************

Carter took in a deep breath as he looked over the wall of the laboratory. In one day they would be having the ceremony and allowing the sisters one last look at the fallen before they were taken away to be studied. It had been resolved to place all the bodies before the laboratory in the morning and allow final words to be spoken in the evening. With so many sisters dead it was going to be even more unpleasant then usual. It would be extremely unpleasant for him as he had been selected to help study and carry the sister's body.

Mirin, “How are you doing Carter?”

Carter, “I'm not doing well at all but you probably expected that. We have some grim work ahead of us and a lot of changes to be made. How about you?”

Mirin, “I'm just waiting to see what way the sisters want to go with all these changes. That and I was worried about you.”

Instead of commenting Carter gave his hand a slight wave. “I know I was chosen because I wasn't particularly close to the fallen sisters. With so many of them dead at once I'm sure that was rather difficult to pick enough brothers that weren't close. I'm more worried about some of the others. You know we're going to need Dan to help with some of the analysis. Have you told Joseph that we also want him to help?”

Mirin, “Not yet. For the moment I've only informed those who will be retrieving the bodies.”

Carter, “Did you choose yourself?”

A sigh escaped Mirin as he gave his head a nod. “Yes. I couldn't ask you all to do something if I wasn't willing to do it as well. I admit I'm a little worried about Fera. You know she's going to recognize a few of us from our life energy.”

Carter, “I believe Fera is use to seeing things that she would prefer not to. At times I wonder how she processes all the information given that she can see through walls. Just how far can those eyes of hers see and what kind of focus does it require to manage that information?”

Mirin, “Well I'm sure you've used a spell to see life energy before. From what I've seen of Fera however her abilities go far beyond anything I've done with a spell. So any concern about what our sisters are going to decide after tonight’s meeting?”

Carter, “I have no idea. Normally their meetings seem more like an excuse to eat and rough house in an environment that they don't have to worry about harming us. I believe this time will be a lot more serious with all the unpleasant lessons they've had and Zarena there. What are your plans if they resolve that they still won't let any of us become spirit hunters?”

Mirin, “To tell them that we're going to reform the spirit hunters regardless but we're willing to negotiate about who first becomes a spirit hunter. If they're not willing to compromise then we'll begin the training anyway to see if they become physical. If they become physical then well I'll call for all the brothers to stop performing their functions or associating with the sisters.”

Carter, “I do not want to do that last one!”

A slight chuckle escaped him as Mirin noted the energy in Carter's voice. “Neither do I. I've spoken with several of the matrons on this matter though and they've agreed to support us. It's the guardians and lower rank that I believe might be an issue.”

Carter, “Mirin I'd rather refuse to aid the sisters then have the matrons and keepers use their size and strength to force the compliance of the other sisters. Honestly I consider such a notion risky for us to.”

Mirin, “I agree but it's nice knowing we have a few sisters that are supporting us.”

***********************************************************************************

Mina, “What do you mean I'm not allowed to begin training! It's been over a decade since I was able to actually practice my combat skills and that isn't counting the time I was asleep.”

A sigh escaped Flora as she looked at her friend. There was a quick way to end this debate at least. “You're pregnant! You don't get to strain yourself until the baby is born.”

For a moment Mina was silent and then the realization seemed to sink in. “Oh! Sorry I wasn't thinking.” A sigh escaped Mina as she set down next to Flora again and gave her friend an apologetic look. She had spoken without thinking when they had started talking about training. “We need Kersara to handle the orcs though so who else is qualified to train and can remain with us.”

Flora, “Vera.”

Immediately Vera became alert. She had been silent most of the meeting choosing to watch. To have her name mentioned so openly was quite a strange situation and she quickly began to look around at the other sisters. No words left her lips despite her alarm as she waited to see what would happen next.

Flora, “Kersara has pushed her body to a remarkable level but how many sisters have been trained to kill other sisters and even gone through the trouble of conditioning their claws?”

Now Vera didn't like the way the conversation was going. She was indeed one of the few sisters who had been trained to fight as a matter of focus. It wasn't to fight other sisters exactly but she was prepared for the event where she had to leave the forest. This meant she had to be able to manage extremely powerful enemies without a very large body. “You're mistaken as to the nature of my training. I was conditioned to handle foes that are physically stronger and faster then me but that doesn't mean I was trained to kill other sisters.”

Flora, “So you are a trained fighter then which means you're the best one to teach us.”

The notion of training another sister wasn't a bad one to Vera but the notion of training several sisters wasn't pleasant at all. Immediately she thought of a solution. “Training a great many of you at once would severely hinder the lesson's effectiveness. I'll pick three of you to train and then those three will help teach other students. With everything that's going to be happening we really can't spare more then a few sisters after all. In the mean time other sisters can be sent to Kersara to be trained in the proper way to condition their body.”

Flora, “That is a good idea. So any ideas on who you'd like to train first?”

Someone with high combat potential who was also a quick learner immediately flashed into Vera's mind. “Maria, Mira and Alexa.”

Flora, “Two of my girls?”

Vera, “Maria's speed is an extremely effective weapon but she could learn how to use it better. More importantly she thinks faster and learns more rapidly then any of us. I saw Mira on the battle field and Alexa is naturally studious so she should be a good student as well.”

Zarena, “Actually. I was planning on beginning Maria's lessons considering that her frame is effectively the same as mine.”

Vera, “Will you be around long enough to complete those lessons?”

To this Zarena shook her head. “No. I probably won't be around long enough to complete her lessons. That doesn't mean that I can't begin them.”

Vera, “True but I don't think we can begin training immediately either. We really need to settle on what we're going to begin doing first. I personally believe the first thing we should do is give the brothers a list of who we wish to be trained as spirit hunters. We then need to begin gathering resources and rebuilding our town. We also need to talk to our brothers about keeping Zarena awake until we're at least a month into the combat training.”

Zarena, “Huh?”

Vera, “We're vulnerable right now plain and simple. We destroyed one powerful enemy but that doesn't mean there isn't one, two three or more just waiting to attack us. Until we've rebuilt our strength we can't have you going back to sleep.”

This wasn't what Zarena had been expecting. Due to the drain on their resources it was often important to put a sleeper back to sleep as soon as possible. “I can see your reasoning but you know that keeping a sleeper awake is a massive burden. I'm currently using a valuable resource that could benefit all of you.”

Vera, “Don't be silly. We grew significantly recently so I don't want to hear any complaining about wanting to grow again any time soon. Some of us are still learning to control our new strength and if you don't believe me I've seen a few brothers healing their bruises. Oh and a bit of a side note. If I see Tidon that badly bruised against I'm going to give one or a few of you a very painful lesson in combat. Besides from what Nathan has told me we don't have enough receivers for all of us to begin tapping into the energy source you're using.”

Flora, “Hold on Vera. What's this about Tidon being injured?”

Vera, “He had some deep tissue bruising that required some fairly focused healing. I'm pretty sure there were some fractures as well. Apparently one of us got a little frisky with him and darn near squeezed the life out of him. The fact that someone was dumb enough to have sex with a brother before adequately developing their strength is kind of pathetic considering how over protective we are at other times. Mina none of this is aimed at you. I've never seen Dan with a fracture and he prepares himself for the nights you're going to be rough.”

For a moment Mina was rather surprised when Vera mentioned her though she did feel a bit awkward. She did tend to go a little rougher on Dan then most sisters during special nights. “Thanks but don't you believe you're over reacting a bit? I mean did you speak with the offending sister?”

Vera, “I did and I wouldn't bother mentioning it if it was an isolated case. Let's get back on subject though. If the keepers want to speak about the recent issues with sisters controlling their strength due to their size increase that can wait for another time.”

Due to her position Fera could see the crowd more effectively then the keepers. As she looked around she couldn't help but notice a few guardians looking rather uncomfortable. This actually brought a slight growl from her but she quickly regained her composure. “I believe Vera makes a good case for supporting Zarena in remaining awake and I'm sure the brothers will be happy to have her around. With all the construction efforts they really don't have time to begin working on a new energy delivery system anyway. Speaking of materials. I was thinking we could assign some of the kids to sift through the broken down remains of the old town and retrieve any metals that were missed.”

Flora, “Fera I'm not sure if we can do that. Right now the kids are actually the only ones who can actively hunt. I'm sure you've noticed how few kills are being brought in right now.”

Fera, “We still have plenty of kobold.” Now Fera was surprised as she heard some grumblings from the crowd.

Tera, “Please don't have the children stop hunting. I'm so sick of the taste of those horrible little creatures that I'm starting to feel sick when I just smell them.” It wasn't surprising to Tera whenever several other sisters responded in a similar way. Something about kobolds just didn't taste right to begin with and with the sisters rage fading towards them their taste was become less appealing with each meal.

Fera, “Fine it is hard to work whenever you're eating poor as well. I suppose they have some spell that will just pull any remaining metal from the remains anyway.” 

Lanora, “Hey Fera I've been thinking. Would you be the one to handle training us?” It was impossible for the crowd not to notice Fera's ears twitching upon hearing Lanora's question. This didn't mean Lanora was going to withdraw the question. Fera retained more of her combat skills then any other matron and her eyes could both make her deadly but it could make it easier for her to avoid harming a sister.

Fera, “It's been a long time since I last showed someone how to fight.” As the words left her mouth Fera looked towards Vera who gave her a knowing grin. “If the other matrons want me to I'll teach you all how to fight properly but Lanora you're going to have to be my first student. I'm going to have to practice controlling my hands and avoid going for any critical locations with full killing intent. Your healing ability should keep you safe even if I do so.”

To this Lanora was made to roll her eyes. “That is not comforting.”

Fera, “I can't help it! Though on the subject of training we're going to have to prepare a special group for those with mutations. At least for some of them with mutations.”

Vera, “Don't worry about that! There isn't a mutated sister amongst us that I can't help develop the basics. There could be a problem once we begin serious sparing I admit but I plan on just setting certain sisters against one another or making use of the matrons. Mina or example. Once she's given birth she can spar with Lanora some more or with you Fera. Besides you matrons need to worry about more then enemies that are your size or larger. You also have to worry about enemies that are smaller. Imagine for example an enemy that's as fast as Maria and packing claws like Kara.”

Fera, “That would be bad.”

Zarena, “This is so wonderful. I'm really proud of how willing you all are to change. I know that we still have a lot to do and this is just talk but it seems like we're making progress and prepared. Now if you'd just allow some decent sized pets you could claim to have the wisdom of the old generation and the development of several generations.”

Flora, “What do you mean by decent pets?”

Zarena, “I mean something far larger and more combat capable then a song bird. I'm talking about raised and trained wolves, wyverns, tuskers and a few others that make fine pets if supervised properly.”

Flora, “Oh! Well that isn't just a trust issue when it comes to the pets. We sort of stopped allowing such pets whenever fights began to break out between sisters due to some mishaps in which pets were killed and even partly eaten.” As she spoke Flora knew that her reason wasn't going to hold water with Zarena he was giving her a rather annoyed look.

Zarena, “Those were not accidents that was sisters picking fights with one another. Are you really going to tell me that with our sense of smell you couldn't tell whenever an animal belongs to a sister or a brother? If the tusker is alive, walking around comfortably and covered in the sent of a sister it's a pet. Now I fully encourage responsible pet ownership. We didn't let spike wonder around without his owner except for in his own yard or out in the forest but no one could justify attacking him.”

Tera, “Who's spike?”

Zarena, “Spike was a pet wingless wyvern that belonged to a sister. I know that you all want to protect our brothers but surely you can allow some real pets. A small forest cat or dog would be hard pressed to kill a brother before you could stop the attack and that would only happen if the animal was poorly trained or handled. This becomes especially true once the brothers have been conditioned to fight. Besides I'm sure that some of our brothers would love to have a pet as well and pets like wyverns have added benefits if you can find one that's smart enough to train.”

Flora, “Well. I don't know about pet wyverns but I'm sure we could consider allowing larger pets back into the village. Not very soon but eventually. With all the other changes we're making I think that one should be very low on the list.”

To this Zarena gave a nod. “Yeah that would be the reasonable thing to do.”

Sora, “I hate to break things up but there is something else we need to speak about. How are we going to rebuild our market? We've all grown a great deal since it's original design and who knows how much more we may end up growing. We need to make plans for how we're going to build it. I believe that we should go with the typical Luvarian method and build down instead of up but we also need to resolve how large of a sister the buildings should be planned to house.”

Flora, “Don't forget placement. If we're going to build buildings larger for ourselves then we're going to need to position buildings meant for brothers closer together. That and we're going to have to decide if we want sisters to be able to go into them with our brothers. We should probably first consider the alchemy shop. We're somewhat limited in how large we can make it as a brother is required to run it so the magical items don't end up being ruined.”

Tera, “We could build a large window into it that sisters could use to drop off their goods if the building is too small for them to enter. I don't think that the amount of materials we're gathering from the forest is going to change much even if our ability to gather them increases. We're trying to avoid gathering more after all. So we should keep the alchemy shop roughly the same size. The clothing shop is a bit of an exception though after all if it's too small for us to go into it we can't really do our work.

Lanora, “That's true but not every section of the shop needs to be meant for us. We could have an entrance section for our brothers which would be sized for them while the work area could be meant for sisters. Now back to the alchemy shop where do you all want to put it? I assume we're going to build around the food hall like we did originally.”

Flora, “Of course. I believe it should be on the right side of the food hall. After all sisters who've been out gathering are also the most likely to either want to eat or be bringing something back to eat. That and we really need to insure that our brothers have no trouble traveling. On the topic of special sections we should probably even put a special one into the dining hall for them.” It didn't surprise Flora whenever her ears were met with a great deal of protest.

Ilaina, “Don't do that! I like it when the brothers set with us.”

Flora, “So do I but we have to keep their comfort in mind as well as our own. Seats and tables meant for us could be very awkward for them. We also need to consider how much space we want to dedicate to the dining hall and what resources we want to use.”

Mina, “That all depends on how what size we plan for it to be able to accommodate. I believe our initial plan should call for the dining hall to be able to handle sisters that are up to ten meters tall comfortably.”

Tera, “Don't you believe that's a little much? It would require the keepers to be allowed to double their size.”

Mina, “I don't believe so after all how often do you want to have to rebuild the dining hall? We've only had the life bloom a short while after all and look at what we've already gained. Once the other brothers have finished learning from it and begin applying the techniques to other solutions I'm confident we'll be able to grow even larger.”

Fera, “Oh come on! If we're going to make it that big how about we just go all the way and let me and the other matrons set down to eat? Oh but that brings up another issue. We need to resolve what we're going to do with the matron rank. While I appreciated being allowed to grow recently I've been thinking. The matron status was created to be a final line of defense for the village itself or to handle dangers that were too much for a single keeper but didn't require a sleeper. Even if we stop growing now you all have a long way to go before catching up to us. So perhaps we matrons have grown enough for a while.”

Sora, “I can agree to that. So perhaps we should wait until all our other sisters have reached the twenty meter mark before we consider growing again? Well all the other sisters and me as the smallest of the matrons.”

To this Fera gave a quick nod. “That seems fine with me. Do any matrons have an objection?” Even though she asked the question Fera doubted they would. As a matron their hunger was far less then the other sisters and while Fera wouldn't mind seeing hers decreased it really seemed better to aid the other sisters. After a moment she gave a nod. “Okay. So do you think we could build the dining hall so that it'd could accommodate us or have a section?”

Flora, “I believe so but we're really going to need to build down. We might need our brothers to develop a system of cooking that doesn't involve the use of lumber either. Now since we're building down how about we make the tables into two sides. One for the brothers while the other could be for us with an opening beneath the table for our legs and well in time the majority of our body. That way we could still set with our brothers.”

Stella, “An entire side for our brothers? That doesn't really sound efficient Flora especially as far as managing space goes. I'm also curious what kind of table set up you're imaging. We don't really need the table to be level with us. We could make use of a table that's low to the ground. We could then have a section designated for our brothers.”

Tera, “But I want to set with our brothers when we eat! Them being there is part of the fun.”

Stella, “Well if you want a brother to set with you just have him set on your lap.”

Mina, “That's a little too limiting. As much as I love Dan and he loves me I know that but he doesn't always want me holding him even if he wants to set with me. You mentioned how many resources we're willing to expend but how much work do we want to put into the new dining hall as well? I for one am willing to build it as big as needed so that our brothers can set with us comfortably. I do agree that we don't have to have the table level with us though.”

Stella, “We're going to have to dig down pretty deep to allow for all of this and make sure that oh I had a fun idea. If we're going to be making the dining hall large enough for us to set with our brothers granting them entire table sides to themselves how about we build it so that the buildings the brothers tend to favor are above the dining hall? We can then make tunnels into it so they don't have to walk around on the surface in order to come down for something to eat.”

Tera, “Yeah that would be nice!” As Tera spoke she didn't bother mentioning the fact that such an arrangement would insure her shop remained near the dining hall. “If we're going to integrate the buildings in such a way we're going to have to make plans for comfort and plumbing though. Considering the library and the laboratory that shouldn't be a problem.”

Mina, “That's true. Okay still I believe we need a section meant for sisters and meant for brothers as well. We can't forget the claimed either. I admit they're times that I just want to set down and not have to worry about accidentally snapping someone in half. Unfortunately I hate eating alone and you all refuse to toughen up enough.”

Flora, “Oh very funny miss incarnation of strength. Mina does have a point and let's be honest they're times we eat things that our brothers would prefer we didn't eat around them. I know the more raw our food tends to be the less our brothers want to be around us.”

Sora, “I don't believe that's so much a matter of the food being raw but the food being messy.”

Flora, “That's true. Well actually do we really need a section just for the sisters? If the brothers have a section for themselves they can decide if they want to eat with us or not. If we want to eat alone it shouldn't be hard to find a spot away from them giving how much more space we're going to be taking up. Oh! That could lead to a problem.”

Mina, “What could?”

Flora, “Well what happens whenever one sister is entertaining four brothers while the others can only set around her?”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she looked at her friend. “Well I have a mate so that doesn't matter to me. I believe you're just worried about what will happen when sisters get angry with you for hogging all the brothers.”

Flora, “Mina! I simply have a few brothers who I know very well and they know me.”

To this Mina gave a nod. In truth Flora only slept with a few of the brothers however they were quite comfortable with her and only tended to sleep with a few sisters as well. In many cases these arrangements were borderline to being mates and what the majority of sisters sought. “I know. Anyway I'm sure we can all agree that the brothers can decide who they want to set with and how much they want to space out. Now if you happen to find a group of brothers setting together and take the spot across from them then it's first come first serve of course.”

Stella, “That's going to eventually lead to a fight and you know it.”

Flora, “Probably but they can vent their frustration in the ring. I hate to bring us back to less pleasant subjects but just how much should our brothers develop their combative abilities. Zarena you mentioned what your brother could do but we really need to give them some kind of bench mark for them to shoot for as a minimum.”

Zarena, “Whoops! Well the original notion was that a brother should be able to defend themselves long enough for a sister to come to their aid at the very least. The typical notion was that if they can hold off a sister for three to five minutes then they're relatively safe but that wouldn't work with this generation of guardians. Especially after you begin training how to actually use your bodies effectively. I believe that if a brother can hold off either a wyvern or a group of tuskers he would be good enough. Oh! I know. Two brothers should be able to travel for let's say three days in the forest without aid from a sister and survive just fine. That is travel on foot relying only on none magical provisions and their own spell casting abilities, combat skills or alchemy potions.”

Flora, “That is a good idea! We could even have a sister travel with them to observe and save them if the need should arise. Naturally if they need to be rescued they need to go through more training.”

Zarena, “Thanks. It isn't perfect but as the forest has changed we need to make sure that the brothers are keeping up as well.”

Stella, “The sisters can't help but what would we do about outside interference such as a druid aiding them or a group of orcs?”

Flora, “I believe they should politely decline their offer as this is a test for the two of them. We'll need to make sure that one brother isn't doing all the work as well.”

Lanora, “That sounds right. After all the goal is to insure that they can survive in bad conditions not that they are lucky. I swear I can think of a few brothers who aren't going to be the least bit happy with these changes. At what age are you thinking we should begin testing them?”

Flora, “It should probably wait until they've began working with the other brothers.”

Stella, “What about lessons though?”

Flora, “Well as far as magic training or alchemy we should probably leave that up to them. There is no reason that we couldn't help with their physical combat training though. I think each brother should at least know the basics. That's all I wanted to know about how we'd approach our brothers combat training.”

***********************************************************************************

It was hard for Joseph to set still as he considered what he had been told. Today they would be having the funeral for those sisters who had died. He didn't have to carry the bodies of the sisters but he would be helping to examine them. It was surprising how much this thought bothered him. He had worked with human corpses before mostly the corpses of soldiers. So why did the thought of working on a sisters corpse upset him so? Was it the level of importance that was put on the act? The fact that sisters died so rarely? Perhaps he just wasn't comfortable working on women or any other number of reasons.

One thing Joseph did know was that he didn't know how to approach Maria about it. He needed to speak with someone who had a better idea of what they were doing. Yet there was another issue in all of this. He had been working on various theories in regards to the bodies of sisters and this would give him a chance to test that theory if the others approved of it. He wasn't going to speak to Maria about it however even as she stepped into the room packing a plate of fruit, bread and meat. “Good morning.”

Maria, “Good morning Joseph. So did you enjoy your little talk?”

Joseph. “Not really but it was a useful conversation. Maria I know I didn't know the sisters but would you mind taking me to look at them? If I'm not mistaken only brothers that were extremely close to the sister or part of their family are allowed after the sun goes down.

To this Maria gave a nod. “Yeah. It's so we don't know who actually took the body away. If you were all there except for a few then we'd know who the cloaked figures were automatically.”

Joseph, “How are you holding up?”

Maria, “I'm surviving but I'll be a lot better whenever tomorrow comes around I promise. It's not really that they're dead that's the worse part. It's the fact that I couldn't protect them. Even with all my speed I couldn't save them. Then along comes Zarena and spends most of last night pointing out our numerous failings and well.” For a moment Maria felt her throat beginning to lock up. She had been holding herself together but with the event so close she could feel tears forming. It helped whenever she felt Joseph's arms wrap around her.

Joseph, “It's not your fault. We all had a lot to learn.”

In response to Joseph's hug Maria slipped her hand under Joseph's rear and lifted him into the air so his arms could wrap around her neck. “Thank you. Thank you for wanting to see them as well even if you didn't know them that well. Just eat your breakfast and clean up then we'll go and you can see them.”

There was no way Joseph was going to ask Maria what he should do while working on a sister's body. He knew he would end up being saturated with the sent of the dead while working with her remains but perhaps there was a way to clean it off. He should have asked more questions whenever the messenger had delivered the news. “Maria if there is anything you want to talk about I'm hear to listen.”

A sigh escaped Maria and she began to lower Joseph to the ground. “I knew them but they weren't my close friends or the such. They were my sisters though. When I think about how I'm feeling I can't help but wonder how Mina must have felt whenever her mother died. I wonder if going to sleep like that helped with the grief or if the pain was still there whenever she woke up again. What about you though? I mean. You haven't seen your family for years now and I'm the one who helped take you from them. How much did that hurt?”

Joseph, “It's not the same Maria. I hadn't seen my family for quite some time whenever I began working as a royal alchemist. Besides it's not like I could have returned to them whenever I chose to leave the court. Anyway, I'm the one that chose to become a brother in the end.”

Maria, “Thanks. Who knows perhaps after all these changes are made we'll be ready to open ourselves up to the outside world again and I can take you to visit them. Well after you're done with your training and passed your test.”

Immediately Joseph locked onto Maria's last few words. “Wait. What do you mean training and test?” Even now Maria tended to make sure that Joseph exercised daily in order to maintain his physical well being. He could still remember her motivating him to exercise whenever he'd first joined their community and how painful that motivation could be. What had they resolved during their last meeting? At least it seemed to have Maria's mind off her fallen sisters as Joseph saw her smile.

Maria, “We resolved last night that the sisters had gone over board with our protective desires and actually hurt our brothers. You need to know how to defend yourself. So from this point on we're going to start having the brothers train in combat more extensively based on what their primary skills are. We've even worked out an idea how we might test our brothers to see if their combative abilities are where they need to be.”

Joseph, “How did that come about?”

Maria, “It was Zarena who made the strongest case for it. What she argued was that a strong target is easier to defend then a weak one. No matter how strong the guardian is the notion that a strong target is easier to defend then a weak will always hold true. So we're going to make sure all of our brothers are strong targets from now on.”

Joseph, “I see. Well Maria you know I'm not a mage.”

Maria, “Don't worry! We know that alchemist rely on their mixtures and creations so you'll be allowed to use them. You'll just have to make sure that you're always prepared to some degree and that you can use them in a combat situation. I'm sure you got plenty of experience with that during your training outside the forest though.”

Joseph, “Maria. If I had that kind of training would I have needed you to save me from those soldiers?”

Maria, “Oh. Good point.” Before continuing Maria placed her hand on Joseph's right soldier completely engulfing it. “I'll be with you every step of the way to give you all the love and encouragement you're going to need to make it through.”

That was not encouraging immediately flashed into Joseph's mind. Just how combat capable did the sisters intend for the brothers to me. “What kind of test do you have in mind anyway?”

Maria, “At the moment we're thinking of using the forest. The general idea is that two brothers should be able to travel through the forest for at least three days without requiring any aid from a sister. We also intend to limit the provisions you bring along as well. I'm not sure how intense the training is going to be or how long you'll have to prepare. I suppose that will be up to you and the other brothers to work out.”

Joseph, “Do we get a say in if we do this or not?”

Maria, “Hm. I don't believe that you do. With the way the brothers have been pushing for the spirit hunters reformation you really can't afford to show any sign of weakness. Refusing to undergo training that would help better your combative ability would really look bad as far as the spirit hunter training goes as well.”

He had to agreed to these sort of happenings. Joseph had known that at times the sisters would force their will upon the brothers. He had been warned about it before he even became a brother and experienced it to some extent. Then he had joined and it hadn't happened. The brothers and sisters seemed to know their rolls pretty well so neither group really pushed the other. Now the sisters had resolved that changes had to be made and he was going along for the ride apparently. “So what else did you decide?”

Maria, “Lots of things really. We worked on the new layout of the town, resolved that matrons wouldn't be growing any larger until the rest of us caught up, decided on who we'd support to become the first spirit hunter, we resolved that the sisters needed more combat training and decided that we would force those brothers without mates to live in the citadel. There might be a few things I'm forgetting at the moment but that is the bulk of what we resolved.”

Joseph, “It sounds like you resolved quite a lot. So which one are you going to take care of first?”

Maria, “Naturally the first will be the one that's the most easily accomplished. Whoops I almost forgot. We're also going to argue for Zarena to be allowed to remain awake for at least a few more months. Anyway, we're going to begin relocating the brothers to the citadel pretty soon unless they seriously object. Then we're going to have to take the time to argue the point with them but I'm sure they'll cooperate in the end especially when we give the reasons.”

***********************************************************************************

Carter, “Hey. Hey! What are you doing with that! Tera you bring that back right. Hey!” As Carter called out he couldn't believe what was happening as he felt a set of hands take hold of him. Nora was of course helping her friend which meant helping to relocate him. It was actually rather on the annoying side though they weren't damaging his things.

Tera, “Now Carter this is a decision that we all agreed upon last night. Brothers who don't have a mate and aren't living with a sister are to be relocated to the citadel.”

Carter, “I never agreed to this!”

Nora, “Well the decision was made by the sisters last night and currently has the support of most of the rank eight brothers with a few who haven't spoken up on the subject yet. Nathan and Mirin have already been moved into their new rooms.”

Carter, “Been moved?”

Tera, “Yes. Well apparently Sora anticipated there might be some resistance so she moved Mirin to the citadel during the night. Nathan on the other hand had apparently been setting up waiting to speak with Zarena and she told him what happened. She helped him to move as well and several of the other brothers.”

With the sisters supporting this move in mass and the three clawed brothers supporting the move as well Carter knew there was little he could do to stop it. He didn't truly mind but he hadn't expected them to begin gathering him and his belongings up like this. “Be careful not to break anything in that case. So any idea whom I'm going to be sharing a room with?”

Tera, “No one to my knowledge. Any apprentices or guest that were staying at the citadel were apparently meant to be rather important. The rooms were designed with two people in mind at most and that won't be needed. At least we believe that they were designed with two people in mind at most. When we described the rooms to Zarena she seemed to think something was off and even theorized that the citadel protectors might have modified the rooms since her time. She even went so far as to suggest that perhaps the protectors were trying to encourage the brothers to come live within them.”

Carter, “Huh? So they're not just carrying out some kind of preset routine?”

Tera, “Zarena sure doesn't believe so and if her memory is accurate we've made a lot of mistaken assumptions over the years just because they don't communicate directly. Sort of perhaps instead of communicating with us directly they communicate through the citadel and we simply haven't figured out how to ask it a question yet.”

Carter, “That does sound possible. That or perhaps the citadel's capability to communicate was damaged whenever your energy supply system was damaged as well. That or perhaps they lost the ability whenever the remaining ranked Luvarians either left or were killed. Then again perhaps in our ignorant exploration we triggered some kind of security setting that prevents them from telling us anything.” Even as he spoke Carter wasn't thinking about speaking to Tera anymore. Rather his mind was going through all the reasons the protectors might have gone silent and what they might due in order to restore that ability or convince them to speak.

Tera, “Just make sure that the if you do get them to speak the first thing they don't say is get out.”

Carter, “Can you imagine if they had a few centuries worth the grievances they had been wanting to say to us? We might have to take shifts letting them scold us as a community just to get through it within one life time.”

Tera, “Please no! We were already scolded by Zarena the last thing we need is the original sisters to tell us everything we've done wrong. We might all have to start wearing something over our faces.”

Carter, “She got you all that good huh?”

Tera, “Yes! The fact that she's one of our ancestors coupled with her massive size made it even worse. I felt like I was a little child once again listening to my mother scold me for hurting a brother. It was so hard to remember that I was an adult especially with all the keepers and matrons there. I believe most guardians felt like we needed to find somewhere to hide and just let the big sisters speak.”

Carter, “So the guardians just remained quiet?”

Tera, “No. I and a few others spoke up. It was really hard though.”

Carter, “Good for you. Hey wait. Are you all doing this so you don't have to build as many homes and thus can expand the market area without influencing the overall size of our community?”

Tera, “Oh! That is a good side benefit.”

***********************************************************************************

Joseph felt both grief and a bit awkward as he walked amongst the fallen. It was far more tame then the field hospitals he had been to especially when the healers began to tire. The sisters bodies looked remarkably intact almost to the point they might stand up again and begin to move around except in a few cases. Truly the body of a sister didn't decay like that of a human body. He was surprised by how few were currently at the site but considering the size of the community it wasn't too out of place. It was clear that Maria wasn't comfortable so he was holding his tongue even as he approached the sisters. He hoped that he wouldn't have to be the one removing material from their corpse.

Maria, “You've been rather quiet Joseph. Is there something that you'd like to know?” Maria knew that Joseph would be wondering about the ceremony but was holding his questions in. She was actually grateful for this as she felt some pain in her throat as she looked at her dead sisters.

Joseph, “It's fine Maria. This isn't the time for me to be nosy.”

Maria, “I've spoken to some of our brothers about how they handle deaths in the outside world. We don't give speeches about the dead. Rather each sister takes some time near the body to take in her scent, listen for her heart beat and even feel the body is cold. After that we typically take some time to cry but that is anything but quiet. We'll talk amongst ourselves and eventually the time to take the body away comes. We all watch that happen. I know it might seem strange to you but we rely a lot on scent when identifying someone. So we remember the scent of our dead sister then when we smell it in their home or lingering somewhere in town we know that scent will fade.” As Maria finished she felt her lips quiver for a moment as she fought back a roar.

Joseph, “Thank you.” The sisters weren't like humans. They used talking to communicate but it wasn't the only means. By smelling a sister they were communicating with the dead. He had no doubt the scent of a dead sister was different then that of a living. Was that what they were waiting for during these days? For the scent of the sister to change to that of a dead one? In doing that perhaps the deceased were telling the living sisters they were gone? Maria had mentioned smelling the sent of a sister in town but what about the scent that lingered on the brother who had done the study? Joseph gave himself a mental kick as he felt the questions continuing to build even as he walked to another fallen sister.

It was strange. As Maria looked down at her sister she found herself standing behind Joseph as if hiding from the body. Something about having him between her and the fallen served to bring her a bit of comfort despite the situation. It actually surprised her whenever she felt Joseph's shoulders underneath her hands. His right hand had reached up and taking hold of a few of her fingers though he didn't turn to face her but continued to look down at the sister.

It was amazing how heavy Maria's hands felt. Joseph had no doubt that she was keeping the bulk of her mass off of him but they still felt strangely heavy. “Is there anything that I can do? I know there is nothing I can do for her but what about the other sisters? Her parents?”

Maria, “When it comes time to examine our bodies if you're part of the team that does it make sure that it means something. We're built to be guardians after all. Knowing that our bodies were used to better the community we love helps.”

For a moment Joseph felt like he would be crushed. Normally he would have thought that being given permission to examine a sisters corpse would make the task easier. When he realized how much importance they put on this though it actually made the burden heavier.

***********************************************************************************

Kiara, “Hey sister what brings you here.” As she spoke Kiara reached down and slipped her hands underneath Julia's arms. She didn't give her a chance to protest as she lifted her into a hug.

Julia, “I was hoping I could remain here for a while to finish forming the memories I gained from the two dead sisters. I'm becoming somewhat concerned for my safety at this point. That or would you mind transporting me to the citadel?”

Immediately Kiara went to fully awake as Julia's mentioned her safety. “Um pardon me but this sounds bad. Now are you worried about another sister harming you due to the knowledge you're absorbing and why aren't you already at the citadel? All brothers who don't have a mate were suppose to be relocated there this morning.”

Julia, “Yes while I am not certain I believe that the memories I have could prove very bad for a certain sister who's name I'm working on piecing together. Now what do you mean already relocated to the citadel? Is that what you all settled on last night? I was at the laboratory all night working on a few things.”

Now Kiara was even less happy with the current situation. “Okay first thing I want you to cover your ears. You're going to the citadel where you'll be safe with the protectors and we'll find the room your stuff is in. I'd best make sure there is no sisters waiting at your old home to tell you as well. Then we're going to have a talk about what you remember.”

Julia didn't need to ask why Kiara wanted her ears covered. The moment Julia did so she could literally feel the power in Kiara's roar. A few moments of relaxation served as the code and Julia knew Kiara had asked for other sisters to come to their location. She was rather surprised whenever she heard a rather powerful thump almost immediately and the door opened to a rather annoyed looking Vera.

Vera, “Ouch. You know I was within general talking distance.”

Julia, “Vera have you been watching me?”

Vera, “Of course. You're currently processing memories that could get a sister severely punished if not killed. Other then checking on some brothers and the meeting watching you has been pretty much the only thing I've been doing.” As she spoke Vera continued to rub the outside of her ears waiting for the ringing to go away. “I was hoping that if there was another sister at fault she might try confronting you and I could resolve this all very quickly. Oh and Kiara before you get upset. I have no intention of letting any harm come to Julia, it wasn't certain if another sister would pose a threat to her or not and I would have resolved the situation before an attack could have been made.”

For a moment Kiara felt like a hand had been slapped over her mouth. There was one question she wanted to ask though. “Was Sora involved?”

Vera, “Yes. That shouldn't be a surprise she tends to be involved in anything that requires a sisters attention without anyone knowing that one is there. Anyway, I take it you want me to help walk Julia to the citadel and insure that she's safe.”

Kiara, “It would be appreciated but what about your plans?”

Vera, “It's too late now. Julia I have been wondering. There was a sister that went missing during the fight. Have you managed to remember anything about her?”

Julia, “Not a thing.”

For a moment Vera was silent. Two sisters were found dead but what if the other had known who the person at fault was? Perhaps they had taken the time to be rid of the body. “That is troubling. Can you give me the name of the person you believe is responsible or any details?”

Julia, “No name yet. Her fur tends to smell of smoke with a slight sweetness to it. I remember that I remember the scent but I don't know how to put it into better words.” For a moment Julia went silent and tried to bring up the memory. There were more details to the scent then that but how could she put it into words so that a sister would understand her? Unfortunately the only thing she felt building was a head ache

Vera, “Smokey scented fur with a slight sweetness?” For a moment Vera was silent. She knew of several sisters that could easily fit that description. For a moment a grin formed on her face. “It was Kiara!”

Julia, “What! Gah!” Immediately Julia felt her fingers tingle as she forgot herself. A slight rush of energy hit her and she looked towards the floor to see where she had damaged the wood from drawing in some energy. “Kiara I'm sorry.” Before she could hear Kiara's response Julia was surprised to hear Vera trying t keep from breaking down laughing and looked to her.

Vera, “That was not intended Julia I didn't meant to make you slip up like that.” Even as she spoke Vera found herself struggling to sound serious while fighting her laughter. “I forgot myself for a moment and thought to tease you a bit.”

Instead of feeling angry Julia actually found herself smiling a bit. “Wow Vera is teasing me.”

Vera, “Just don't tell anyone I did it. It's good that you're remembering but how sweet are we talking about? Kiara smells sweet and smokey whenever she works in the dining hall to prepare some honeyed meat which.” Once again Vera found herself going silent and had to swallow in order to empty her mouth. “How long since we had honeyed tusker or dear? I didn't realize I was this hungry for good meat.”

Julia, “I'm sorry I have the sisters memories but I can't access them that easily. All I have is how sweet things smell to me in order to compare and that wouldn't help you. This wasn't a rare occasion though rather this sister always smelt of smoke and sweetness.”

Vera, “Always? That helps me remove a few names at least. Okay Julia do you want me to pack you or your sister.”

Kiara, “You. I'm still tired and don't want to risk stumbling while packing my sister.”

Vera, “You look plenty awake to me.”

Kiara, “Trust me I'm not.” As she spoke Kiara was made to remember how much she disliked the sun light. At times she wondered if she was biologically inclined to sleep during the night so that there would be some sisters that guarded at night. The notion that it was the result of years of conditioning also seemed possible.

Vera, “Okay Julia are you ready to go to the citadel and take a look at your room?”

Julia, “I believe so. I should mention Vera I believe I know what happened with both sisters. It seems that they were both told a similar story. I can't remember exactly but I remember the same sister telling them something and each one of them felt a remarkable amount of anger towards the other sister. I'm not sure how you want to handle this.”

Vera, “We're going to need the exact words but I don't know what will be done about it. To provoke two sisters into fighting one another for personal gain is shameful. However, what if she was just telling either sister the truth? They were the ones who chose to turn on one another in the middle of a battle after all. We're going to need to know what sister it was and what each sister remembered being said. Then it's going to be up to the brothers to handle the information.”

Kiara, “Any sister that would manipulate another into fighting each other at the very least shouldn't be allowed to be a guardian. I can understand her not coming forward though if all she did was tell them the truth. She could have been a friend to both sisters and her attempt to resolve a conflict ended up making it worse so now she's feeling guilty and fearful of what's going to happen to her.” A sigh escaped Kiara as she considered the possibility. “What would you want to do in that situation?”

Vera, “Well if all she was doing was trying to resolve a conflict and it ended up making things worse then it was just her trying to do the right thing at the wrong time in the wrong place. Hm in that case what happened was a tragedy but I wouldn't be too hard on her. I know what it's like to try to do the write thing for someone only to have them take it the wrong way and suddenly the situation has become even more dangerous. Julia you seem a bit fearful for your safety during this time though which leads me to believe this was intentional.”

Julia, “I really need the words. I just get the feeling that what each sister was told was very similar as if they were both being lied to.”

***********************************************************************************

Dan could tell Mina wasn't comfortable as he walked amongst the bodies. She was currently standing a good distance from them watching him very closely. He imagined she was having a hard time. Mina was so proud of her big strong body especially because she could use it to shield her sisters. Now she was looking at several sisters she hadn't been able to shield and he knew she was upset. As he looked back at her Dan noticed Mina's hand was currently resting atop her stomach as if covering it. He imagined she was thinking about her child now and how to shield it.

Even as she watched Dan Mina was having trouble resisting the urge to pick him up. Seeing him amongst those bodies reminded her of the fact that despite all her strength she could lose someone she cared for. Soon she would be bringing someone else into the world to care for as well and in the moment she was frightened. Would she really be able to protect their daughter from all the dangers the world had to offer? Given the dead sisters before her the answer seemed to be no and Mina was grateful they would be undergoing more intense combat training.

Every brother would most likely show up at one time or another to say good by to the bodies. Even those brothers who would be the ones to carry them away. As Dan looked at the corpses though he was made to wonder who had been given that unpleasant task. Unlike the sisters he could look into it but wouldn't. If he was to find out there was a chance another sister would see what he was doing and would realize who it had been. With this thought he began to walk back towards Mina. It was strange to be walking amongst the corpses without a priest but the sisters had something of a religion of their own. What sister had first asked the Luvarians what happened whenever they died. “Do you think they could be raised as sentient undead if someone knew how their bodies worked?”

To Dan's question Mina looked to the bodies for a moment. “I don't know if I hope they would or they wouldn't. I would prefer if they moved on to whatever awaited them next and hope it would be a life with no hunger but plenty of loving friends.” As she spoke Mina wondered how likely that was. The body of a sister was an extremely powerful magical construct. It required a powerful spiritual being in order to power it. Powerful spiritual beings if born human tended to make for very powerful mages if they were trained. “Do you think that might have become another form of construct?”

Dan, “It's possible but would you want that?”

Mina, “I'm not sure it depends on how they were used.” With Dan almost within arms reach Mina took a step forward and picked him up. This was the only reason she allowed her hand to leave her stomach. “Do you ever believe that humans might be magical constructs or have started out as one?”

For a moment Dan was silent as he considered Mina's question. “Well they're some faiths that claim humans were crafted from clay. Given that we share something in common with the golems. If that is the case I can't help but wish they'd used some better clay.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she pressed her cheek against Dan's. “So perhaps all of us are just some form of construct? Hm but if you were made from better clay that could be a problem. Can you imagine if every human shared the same problems as a sister?”

Dan, “If humans had bodies like you sisters then this world would be a waste land as we'd already consumed all the resources and died out. Hm then again it might be quite a nice world if we're talking a few thousand years down the line after the natural world has had time to recover. In any case you, our sisters and especially out daughter is as human to me as any human could ever hope to me. I wonder if there is a better word for that.”

Mina, “A better word for what?”

Dan, “I don't like saying that you're as human to me as humans. We must be a terribly prideful bunch if that's the way we describe things. You and our daughter are more persons then me then most people could ever hope to be. I believe that's better.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she gave a nod. “Hey Dan. If you were to make it simpler by saying that a mystic construct is a being made by humanoids then what would you call a sentient being that was made by a dragon?”

Dan, “Insanely dangerous. They're records of dragons who crafted sentient guardians to protect them while they slept or to protect an important place to them. All of these records talk about how powerful they are.”

Mina, “You know that's not what I mean.”

Dan, “Okay let's make a better definition then. A construct is any being who's body was designed and built by another intelligence.” As she spoke Dan pushed back against Mina so she would move him away from her body. He felt a little awkward whenever his arms were fully extended against her shoulder and he was still looking down at her breasts. “Could you move me a little further back? I want to speak to our daughter for a moment and your breast are in the way.” It was a relief to Dan to here Mina chuckle and then comply with his request.

Mina, “What do you want to tell her?”

Dan, “I don't know what I'm going to do when you come out of there. From the way your mother is behaving you'll be the first sister that has been raised like a brother.”

Mina, “I'm not going to be that bad!”

Dan, “She's fibbing. I'll try to sneak you away to have some fun every now and then if she's too protective.”

An annoyed snort issued forth from Mina and she pulled Dan back against her body. “Don't listen to your daddy he's being a bad influence. Bad influence!”

***********************************************************************************

Stella, “Allen are you alright in there?”

Allen, “I'm fine mommy.” A sigh escaped Allen despite his best efforts. Currently he was relaxing in a bath of warm water while his mother was suppose to be reading. He suspected that she was spending all of this time listening to him which made him feel a bit awkward. At least she wasn't coming into the room in order to make sure that he was clean anymore. That or to insure that he didn't slip whenever he climb out of the water. Tonight was going to be an odd night.

Stella, “Okay honey. Now are you sure that you're fine staying with Nathan even though they moved him into the citadel?”

Allen, “Yeah. I'm looking forward to having some time to look around the citadel.”

Stelle had to bite down on her lower lip at her son's response. She didn't like the idea of Allen wondering around the citadel and getting hurt or worse but she had to relax. The citadel was probably the safest place in the forest for her son to be especially while the majority of sisters were saying their good byes to the departed. “You remember to get behind your ears right?”

Allen, “Mom I know how to bath myself.”

Stelle, “I know Allen I just worry about you is all.” Even as she spoke Stelle knew that she was going overboard. It was difficult to keep her mouth from opening up though as her thoughts kept turning to her son and the up coming changes.

Pera would be at the ceremony to say good bye to the dead sisters. Allen had already been there with his mother. He only knew one of them fairly well but it still hurt to see his sisters dieing. He remembered watching Pera and her friends playing. They would slam one another into trees hard enough to make the tree crack and cut through stone with their claws. The adults were even bigger and stronger and now twelve of them were dead due to ugly kill kobolds. His mother had shown them to him before while out hunting and of course he had seen them during the clean up. How something so small and ugly could take down something as powerful and majestic as a sister made him wonder. It didn't seem right and it didn't seem possible.

Stelle, “Allen are you okay?”

Allen, “I'm fine mom.” If Allen stopped washing himself or talking for just a few moments his mother felt the need to check up on him. He felt confident that he was clean enough now at least and began to climb out of the bathtub. It felt strange gripping the side of the tub if he did so. What were the odds of him actually falling? He was confident that he wouldn't but knew if he did Stella wouldn't let him bath by himself for weeks. What was she going to do whenever it came time for him to begin learning how to fight? How would his mother respond whenever he came home with bruises?

When the door opened Stella immediately turned her attention to Allen. “Do you feel all nice and clean now?”

Allen, “Yep. How mom I was thinking while I was bathing. When I begin learning to fight with the other brothers you know they're going to have to toughen me up. The longer I wait to begin conditioning myself the more work they're going to have to do. So maybe you could let me walk more places on my own and you know try some other games.”

It was true what Allen said but Stella had to bite down on her lower lip for a moment to avoid an immediate no. “Sweet heart. How about we have this conversation after the ceremony? Mommy's head isn't quite where it should be right now.”

Allen, “Okay.” As Allen spoke he wondered if he could play fight some with Pera. He had seen brothers and sisters do so before often with the sister only using part of her body. Mina was constantly smacking Dan with that tail of hers. “So can we go to the citadel now?”

Stella, “It is about time.” As she spoke Stella began to walk over to pick up Allen but she stopped herself. “Do you want to carry your bag for the first mile?”

Allen, “Yeah!”

Immediately Stella was made to regret her choice. Allen quickly dashed to his room and retrieved his bag. Hearing him grunt and watching his tiny body strain as he walked towards her made Stella want to pick her baby up so badly. If it hadn't been for the look of determination in his eyes she probably would have done so. Even for a human child Allen was a small boy. He just didn't know it as they were so many young human children around for him to compare himself to. Would her baby be able to make it a mile carry a heavy bag? She made sure her little body was healthy but Stella had never pushed him to try resistance training after all.

***********************************************************************************

Julia, “Hello Stella, Allen. I hear you're going to be staying here.” As she spoke Julia looked up from her seated position in the library towards Allen and Stella.

Stella, “Hello Julia. Do you know where Nathan is?”

Julia, “He told me that you would be coming by. Nathan is currently book hunting you could track him down easily enough but if you want I'll watch Allen for the time being.” As she spoke Julia risked taking her eyes off Stella and Allen to look towards the far wall. She had noticed her before but only caught glimpses as she seemed to be patrolling. Currently the protector had stopped and was looking strait at Allen. Without realizing it she had also prompted Stella to look at the protector.

Stella, “Well Allen it looks like you have someone keeping an eye on you other then Julia. Are you okay staying here or do you want me to look for Nathan?”

It took Allen a moment to respond. Coming to the citadel was a rare event for him and it was always a remarkable site. The stone walls, floor and ceiling seemed to glow with their own light making it seem like the alchemical candles weren't needed at all. The intricate carvings that covers the columns and doorways reminded him of the alchemical and mystic symbols he had seen from class while a warmth seemed to invade his body telling him that he was safe there. He figured Stella had to ask him if he'd want to stay twice as he noticed her looking down at him. “Sure. Hey Julia what are you doing?”

Julia, “I'm just looking at some of the information pertaining to the spirit hunters and referencing it with some of my knowledge of necromancy to see where in the training I would actually be. I believe I'm going to need to start learning to direct my own magic into my body to allow me to better resist the influence of spirits and to make the transition between here and the spirit plain. Apparently repeated journey's similar to what the spirit hunters would do could be taxing if you weren't prepared. Magic is a lot more abundant in the shadow realm as well so you need to be able to resist mystic poisoning.”

Allen, “My teacher told me about that. He said if there is too much energy in the area your spells and potions can become unstable or worse. Then if the magic is really bad you can actually die even if you don't try to use any magic.”

Julia, “That is correct. Now do you know what happens to your body whenever that energy is too abundant?”

Allen. “No. He just said it was dangerous.”

Julia, “What happens is your body begins to soak up the energy as well. Once you have so much in you the body attempts to use it but if you don't have a mind that's been trained to use such excess energy it becomes unfocused and chaotic. So you might end up trying to heal an injury that is no longer there or improperly strengthen part of your body. Eventually your body effectively begins to tear itself apart as it struggles to release the excess mystic energy contained within it.”

Allen, “Is that why even too much healing magic can be bad for your body?” As he spoke Allen walked over to Julia and set down. He doubted that he would be able to understand the books she was reading but he was curious about the spirit hunter one.

Julia, “Oh yes.” As she was talking to Allen Julia couldn't help but notice Stella. “I guess you're having trouble leaving him with someone other then a sister. Don't worry Stella. They're protectors all around us and one of them is even keeping an eye on Allen.”

A sigh escaped Stella as she gave a nod. “Just please keep him safe for me while I'm gone Julia. I don't know what I would do if something happen to my son.”

Allen, “Mom! I'm fine.”

Stella, “I know honey. Okay I'll see you two later.”

As Stella finally walked out of the room Julia looked down at Allen. She had noticed him trying to sneak some peaks at her book and was made to grin. “Now Allen I don't want you even thinking about trying what you see in these books. This is meant for experienced mages and alchemist. If you want to know what you should be doing to become a spirit hunter you need to work on learning to channel your magical energy.”

Allen, “I already know that though. I can activate an alchemical glyph all by myself now.”

Julia, “Can you control the flow of energy into it? Can you direct what type of energy you send into that glyph.”

Allen, “Well not yet but.” Allen went silent as a book suddenly in front of him while a protector was standing next to him. It felt like his heart had stopped as she looked down at him for a moment before walking off leaving the book behind. He didn't realize his jaw had fallen open until he felt Julia's fingers pressing against the bottom of it.

Julia, “I told you that she was watching you. Now what is this?” As she spoke Julia lifted the book the protector had left for Allen. “Okay you're going to need some sheets of paper, some ink and a pin.” As she spoke Julia began to gather the materials for Allen from her own stash and set it in front of him.

Allen, “What is this?”

Julia, “It's a book on mystic energy filtering and channeling as well as basic spell casting using glyphs. Now let's see what would be a good one to start you with. Do you think you can use this glyph?” As she spoke Julia turned the page to show Allen an alchemical glyph consisting of three large leaves and a serious of intricate markings contained within as if they were the plants arteries if a very complex group of passages.

Allen, “I can't do that! I wouldn't even be able to begin drawing it.”

Julia, “Really? Then how about you draw this one first?” Once again Julia flipped through the book before setting it down showing Allen a far simpler image.

Allen, “I can do that!”

Julia, “Okay. Now I want you to draw this in the center of the paper and make it about the same size as my hand. Then we'll see if you can activate it.”

***********************************************************************************

As Flora stood over the fallen she took in a deep breath. She could smell her sisters around her and the bodies as well. The scent of the bodies were somewhat stronger then the other sisters and now it carried a different note to it that wasn't normally included in a sister's scent. She was on the seventh body now and she was feeling rather light headed not because the scent was powerful but because it repulsed her. She had smelt it before but never had to spend so much time taking it in. As she finished she felt a pain in her throat whenever she moved to walk away from the body and onto the next. She could already hear the sister behind her moving up to take in the scent.

Even though she had been their earlier with Joseph Maria still found herself taking in deep breaths trying to keep calm and keep from crying. After a moment she couldn't hold it any longer and her mouth opened letting lose a roar that carried a fraction of her pain with it. This was joined by several other sisters who remained in line to smell the bodies. She felt a set of hands on her shoulder and looked back to see Stella standing just behind her.

Stella, “They were some good sisters in that bunch. Several still had a lot to learn but I'm sure that they would have.” As she spoke Stella looked off towards where she knew Zarena was currently waiting. The massive sleeper hadn't come to see the bodies yet. It seemed likely she was waiting for them to clear out.

Maria, “I went hunting with them every once in a while and we played. Agna was really good at cooking you know that? She was picky about it too she wouldn't eat raw food like most sisters but would always insisting on cooking it. If I'm going to be limited to such tiny portions then they're going to be tasty portions.”

To this Stella gave a chuckle. “I remember. She fought so hard to keep a patrol that would be close enough to the town that she could continue coming in for cooked meals instead of having to eat in the forest. She was given such a hard time over that but in the end another sister changed paths with her and she was able to stay close to the town. I wonder if that was a mistake.”

Maria, “You're thinking that if she had spent more time hunting she would have been more aware and better prepared?”

Stella, “Yes. We believed that we were well enough prepared to handle any threat to our home but we weren't.”

Maria, “It was kobolds though. One of the weakest creatures in this forest if they're by themselves. They're even some insects that are more dangerous then a single kobold.”

After a moment Stella gave a shrug. “Their numbers and the ease with which they may be manipulated given the right stimulus make them powerful tools it seems.”

Flora had made her way over to the seventh body now. This sister brought some additional pain. She had come to her asking for some advice about romantic involvement with a brother and some advice on sex. She was frightened that she might end up injuring a brother whenever she squeezed her legs together. Flora had told her some exercise and sexual games to play in order to practice controlling herself. From what she smelt and what she heard from the brother's whispers it had worked extremely well. 

Alexa had been one of the first sisters there and was now waiting beyond the group that was still examining the bodies. She was setting quietly having had a little time to sort out her feelings even if they weren't entirely resolved. Her eyes turned to the brothers waiting at the door of the laboratory cloaked in their robes. She couldn't smell their scent due to the magic filtering it from the air and she couldn't hear their heart beats. Currently they remained silent and hardly ever moved. Did the brothers by any chance use simple golems to retrieve the bodies but let the sisters think they were alive so they wouldn't attack? It seemed silly but it made Alexa wonder.

Phinila, “How are you doing Alexa?” It was clear Alexa wasn't doing very well as Phinila noticed her give a slight jump.

Alexa, “Oh. Hello Phinila I'm doing alright I suppose. I'm going to miss them.”

Phinila, “I will to. We used to go hunting together or visit while Pera was away playing with Allen or off tracking her father.”

Alexa, “Wasn't that just about all the time?”

Both sisters gave a slight chuckle while Phinila nodded. “Yes my little girl has already made quite a strong claim to Allen. The fact that she seems to have Stella's approval helps even more. After this I believe she's going to go visit her father.”

Alexa, “Does the death of the sisters have her thinking about her father?”

Phinila, “Yes but not for the reasons you may think. Desmon has more experience with death then any of us. At least more experience with the deaths of those close to him. I believe she's hoping to find some answers from him.”

Alexa, “If she does maybe she can pass it on. I. Do you ever wish that we could been a reformable class of construct? You know like those golems that had their intelligence contained in a core and to remake them all you had to do is recover that core?”

Phinila, “We would still die the enemy would just have to be a little more thorough. Besides I don't think any of us have the resolve to live forever.”

Alexa, “That's true. How do you think the citadel protectors do it?”

Phinila, “Perhaps they don't. Perhaps whatever spirit or existence that holds that body passes on in time and the empty shell has to be born again. We don't know. Twelve guardian class sisters dieing is going to influence the amount of food being brought in. We'll have to extend the paths some of the sisters guard which means they'll be returning to town less often. Coupled with the fact that we're going to be missing twelve hunters the food just won't be as fresh for a while.”

Alexa, “Yeah but at least we were allowed to eat well before this happened. Everyone was so happy to be allowed to grow larger and feel their hunger shrink. It was so much fun to open up the old food stores. I caught Lidra sneaking some early bites of her favorite food several times. The look on her face when she realized a keeper had seen her sneaking food was so worried.”

Phinila, “Well I'd be worried to!”

It was impossible for Alexa to keep from chuckling. It was nice to lighten the mood for a moment. “I reminded her that we're allowed to eat and she immediately relaxed. What did you do whenever you learned what happened on the beach anyway? It was suppose to be where the lightest fighting was.”

Phinila, “The first thing I did was nearly fall over then I asked Pera what had happened and if her friends were okay. I was relieved they had been kept safe though I was worried whenever I learned they had helped with the fighting. You should have heard Pera talk about the orcs and their shaman. It seems my little girl was being a bit forward with Allen.”

Alexa, “What happened?”

Phinila, “She got excited and let it slip that Kersara had to break them up and give them a little talk”

Alexa, “Well we do need new brothers and sisters but they're a little young for that.”

Phinila, “Very true! Speaking of new sisters what do you think of Mina? She's too big for the child to really show but.”

Alexa, “You can smell it she's pregnant and not far off. It's clear that she's going to begin lactating soon. How big do you believe we're going to allow our young to grow? I mean do you really want to make our children suffer through a time of hunger?”

Phinila, “Of course not but how much power can we trust a child with? We already have to be careful to insure that they don't kill a brother and even now injury is possible.”

***********************************************************************************

Mina was currently a few sisters behind Flora with Mira standing along side her. She was grateful for Mira's presence as she felt Mira helping to hold her up whenever Mina's body threatened to fail. How often had she volunteered to take on some assignment stating that there was no danger to her while there was to a weaker sister? Her strength and endurance had made her feel unstoppable. Yet she hadn't been able to protect her sisters whenever the battle had really began. To make the situation worse she had been kept away from the front line. “How much of a difference do you believe I would have made if I had been there to help fight the Amalgam?”

Mira, “I don't know. How much difference do you believe you would have made when compared to Zarena?”

For a moment Mina went silent but then a chuckle escaped her. “You have a good point there. I'm used to thinking of myself as big and powerful but compared to Zarena I'm really not a threat at all.” Mina forgot the conversation as she found herself taking in the scent of another dead sister. She didn't need Mira to help support her this time but it was nice having the sister there. “You're handling this all very well Mira.”

Mira, “Thanks. I believe I had some practice whenever I learned that I had an older sister who had been put to sleep for growing beyond what she was allowed. She may not have been dead but for a few decades she was dead to me.”

Mina, “I have had experience with actual death and it doesn't make it any easier. You're a strong girl Mira.” As she spoke Mina left the body behind and looked forward she had three more to finish. Flora had already moved on and seemed to be thinking a little ways off. “Your mother was awake the entire time that I was asleep. I know that we're the same age in some ways but in truth she's lived  more then I have.”

Mira, “Mom is pretty shaken up by all of this as well.”

It was easy for Flora to hear Mina and Mira despite the other sisters and she took in a deep breath. Mina's strength was most likely the cause of her problems now. Mina was so confident in her ability to protect the other sisters that when faced with failure she had trouble handling it. There was another complication as well. Their bodies drew power from their spirit. Whenever the spirit was weakened so was the body. A mutated sister's body put more stress on the spirit which meant even slight weakenings were felt more. Flora was glad that Maria was doing alright because she would need to tend to Mina. Mira on the other hand was being quite impressive.

***********************************************************************************

Julia, “You know you're going to have to be careful now. Pera might get upset if tell her what happened and then she wouldn't let you come back to the citadel.” As she spoke Julia looked over at Allen who was still working on directing energy into the mystic glyph. It was proving rather hard to activate and he wasn't even certain what it did only that Julia had told him to do so.

Allen, “Why would Pera be jealous?”

Julia, “Well you clearly have that protectors attention. Do you think Pera is going to be able to stand for another sister showing such interest in you? After all how often do you hear about protectors bringing brothers something? She must think that you're cute.” As she spoke Julia was surprised to notice the protector in question again. While she couldn't see any color changes in her face due to the fur Julia got the feeling she was being glared at. Her body language had shifted as well. The protectors tell had stopped moving and was slightly lowered.  Her claws were relaxed and her eyes remained normal. As if the protectors body language was saying she was annoyed.

There was no immediate response from Allen as he didn't know what to say to Julia. It's true that he never heard of the protectors bringing brothers books. “Maybe it's because all the other brothers have moved in already.”

Nathan, “Did I hear you right? Did you say that a protector brought Allen here a book?”

Julia, “Well hello Nathan. Yes. We were talking about magic and out of no where she drops off a book for him to read.”

Allen, “How do you know it wasn't for you!”

Julia, “Well it was how she set it down of course and how she looked at you. A woman knows those looks and that book was for you.” As she spoke Julia could see Allen blushing and had to fight back a chuckle. Nathan's arrival apparently wasn't helping the boy.

Nathan, “A protector bringing a book to someone because she overheard a conversation. That's amazing.” As he spoke Nathan took his eyes off of Julia and Allen to look at the book that the protector had brought them. He recognized it. They had several copies of the book in the library. Why had the protector chosen this book for Allen to read. “What were you talking about exactly?”

Julia, “We were talking about controlling the flow of energy into a mystic glyph. Then the protector suddenly comes over to Allen and sets the book down right in front of him.”

For a moment Nathan said nothing. The book was a wonderful listing of glyphs and techniques to combine different glyphs to form more powerful ones. It wasn't something that they used as a tool to teach how to channel ones mystic energy as they tended to favor items for such things. Did the protector know something that they didn't know about this book. “Well then I suppose that you should give it a shot.”

To Allen this was all very strange. He hadn't expected a protector to show such an interest in him and he wasn't sure what to do with the book. He had finished drawing the glyph on the paper due to Julia's encouragement so he could try. “Okay.” Placing his hands on either side of the glyph it actually surprised Allen whenever he felt two fingers take hold of his left wrist and lift it off the paper. The fingers were that of a sisters but he looked up to see the same protector looking down at him.

Now it was Nathan's turn to be surprised as he noted the protector looking down at Allen. Protectors rarely even stayed in the same room as the brothers or sisters but this one seemed to be trying to guide Allen. “It seems you have your own intentions for young Allen. Would you mind if we watched?”

Lestel chose to ignore Nathan and Julia as she removed Allen's left hand from the paper. He needed to direct energy into the glyph not pull energy out as he was directing it in. This was the habit of young Luvarians in training. Have them learn to channel with one hand at first then let them use two once they learn to do so. If the child was to learn to channel with both hands then when he tried to use one the energies could damage the cells in the one hand. Having him learn with one while his energy was still weak was safer and more effective.

Now Allen felt even more nervous. He still found himself trying to direct energy into the glyph and allow it to trace the markings on the paper. The fact that he hadn't bothered to ask Julia what kind of glyph it was didn't set in until he felt it beginning to awaken and gave a sharp yelp suddenly pulling his hand away. “It was doing something!”

Both Julia and Nathan turned to Allen but it was Julia to spoke. “Oh I can feel it. Good job Allen. Now can you do it again?”

With the two elder apprentices occupied Lestel chose this time to leave them. The flooring of the citadel had been reinforced with magic so she could move more quickly then she could outside without damaging it. She was confident they couldn't have tracked her movements as she retreated back to the books even if they had been watching. As she looked at the young apprentice she was made to smile. It had been a whim to help the boy but it had been so long since Lestel had seen a female apprentice and this one was helping a young male apprentice. It brought some memories of the past and with what they were studying perhaps they would become more then apprentices.

It had only taken a moment but Nathan noticed the vanishing of the protector. Apparently she had done what she intended. “I'm beginning to believe that we made a huge mistake by not training or studying in the protectors presence.”

Allen, “Julia what does this glyph do?”

Chapter 31 by happiest_in_shadows

Julia, “It protects you from fire and heat in general. I wanted to start you with something that even if you went to an extreme there would be no immediate danger.”

For a moment Allen was silent as he looked at the glyph and placed his hand back upon it. It was strange only using one hand to activate them. “Do I have to touch the glyph to enjoy the protection?”

Julia, “No. Once it has been activated anyone touching the glyph enjoys the benefits for however long that it last which depends on both the caster and the environment. Of course. If you make the glyph too powerful it'll end up keeping you from taking in any heat from your environment which for us really isn't dangerous.” As she spoke Julia took a moment to look towards Allen's right hand again. Perhaps she should try using only one hand to activate glyphs more often. The protector seemed to consider it a good idea.

It was tempting to ask Julia to tell him about anything else the protector did. Nathan decided that would be a bad idea considering the fact that the protector could most likely hear them. If he made such a request she probably wouldn't become involved again. “I see what you're doing Julia. The glyph only responds to certain types of energy while rejecting other types. Eventually Allen is going to learn to separate the types.”

Allen, “What types are they?”

Julia, “It depends. You're currently channeling energy in its arcane form eventually you're going to learn to make the shift into nature based energies. In fact this time Allen I want you to think of the natural world while you're channeling the energy. I know that it's difficult to keep your focus but try to think of water, fire, wind and earth while you're directing the energy into the glyph.” As she spoke Julia was surprised whenever she felt the glyph awaken again. “Nice work Allen!”

Upon hearing Julia's praise Allen was made to grin. “Should I do it again?”

Julia, “Did you feel less resistance that time?” It was a bit disappointing whenever Allen shook his head no but Julia wasn't surprised. Just awakening the glyph twice so soon was very good.

Allen, “It felt the same.”

Julia, “Okay I want you to keep casting it like I told you while trying to keep the image of the forces of nature in your mind. If the field starts to become too strong I'll just destroy it.”

Nathan, “You two seem to have this under control. I suppose I'll be off.”

Julia, “Nathan before you leave. Could you find me some material on converting spiritual energies into life energies? I don't have any trouble containing life energy within my body or directing it from another source but producing it is not my strong point.”

Nathan, “Are you talking about direct healing or do you have something else in mind?”

Julia, “Physical augmentation and grow encouragement would be preferred.”

***********************************************************************************

It had been a while since she had been to one of these events. Zarena was a sleeper so while she was awoken to deal with threats that may have killed a sister she didn't go to the ceremony. As she made her way over to the bodies she had to take a moment to steady herself. Memories from whenever she was just a keeper were coming back as she looked at the corpses and began to lower herself to the ground. Part of her wished that Nathan was there with her. Holding onto him would have helped steady her as she brought her face close to the corpses and began to take in the scent. She had been waiting for the other sisters to thin out in numbers before going to take a look and now felt she was ready. The scents were the ones from the past but the smell of death was on each one of them.

Even while she was taking in the scent Maria had finally moved to stand with her mother. Flora had her arm on Maria's shoulder while Maria leaned against her mother. For the moment Maria was glad she was a bit smaller then her mother as it allowed Flora to cuddle her more easily. She had spoken to Flora already about how she was moving around the battlefield and hadn't noticed her sisters were in trouble. Given the attack the enemy had made against their ears it was understandable that she didn't hear them calling for help if they had but to have no seen them still hurt. “Mom do you believe that there is a way that we could have fought without damaging our ears.”

Flora, “There might have been. Perhaps you'll even be learning it soon. Have you spoken to Zarena about learning to fight from her?”

Maria, “Not yet. It was that type of waiting that caused our sisters death. I should go speak with her soon. Do you believe that I should wait until tomorrow?”

Flora, “I believe she could use something to take her mind off of the deaths now.” As she spoke Flora relaxed her hold on Maria. She was happy whenever her daughter stood up and then seemed to vanish as she sprinted towards Zarena.

Maria, “Hey Zarena is that ear still bothering you?” Maria had come to stand a short distance away from Zarena's lowered head and the bodies. Given a sisters hearing she had no doubt Zarena could hear her.

Zarena, “It is doing a little better.” As she spoke Zarena sat up and turned her attention towards Maria. Now that she had taken in the scent of the dead sisters part of her felt like it was chasing her. It would be nice to have someone to speak with.

Maria, “That's good. Does it mean tomorrow you could begin showing me how to move?”

Zarena, “Of course. It's good that you're ready to begin learning especially because I don't know how long I'm going to be around. Even after last nights meeting we should probably take care of this as quickly as possible. Now Maria I've been wanting to ask. Do you think and read as fast as you run?”

To this Maria gave a nod. “Yes I do. When I first woke up it felt like the entire world was moving in slow motion. It has taken some adjusting.”

Zarena, “You mean you can't slow your thought process down?”

Maria, “No. It darn near drove me insane a while back then again perhaps it did drive me insane and this is just how I've adjusted. When I think back to how I used to be before I slept the world seems to moved so much more quickly. I've had to adapt to how slow everyone else is moving but honestly it doesn't bother me now.”

Zarena, “Maria am I speaking to you slowly?”

Maria, “Do you want to hear what it sounds like whenever I speak at my natural speed and what's comfortable to my ears?” As the words left her mouth Maria didn't hold back and allowed her lunges, jaw, tongue and lips to move as quickly as felt natural. It was clear that Zarena hadn't caught onto what Maria was saying.

What sounded like words to Maria was almost a roar to Zarena if a very calm one. She couldn't even begin to guess what Maria had said. “I take it that was your natural speed?”

Instead of responding at her natural speed Maria once again slowed herself down. “Yes. Even I have some issues listening to myself talk but I believe that's due to how slowly the air transfers my voice. I don't know how to describe what happened to me after a few months of living like this. It was so frustrating and I never learned to slow down my thinking but my ability to wait for others to talk and merge their words together developed. You would think that during all of that I would have developed patience as well.”

For a moment Zarena was silent. “At least it should help you practice in that case. I'm not sure how to work on your evasion if you can't slow down.”

Maria, “It depends on how you want to do it. After all while I can move far more quickly then a brother can cast a spell if I allow him to finish then moving faster then the magic is difficult. When I was first learning they had a tracking sprite slowed down so I could run from it and the sprite chased me around.”

Zarena, “You mean you've already been practicing?”

Maria, “Moving at this speed almost meant learning that certain things don't respond like they normally would at slower speeds. Branches become brittle instead of binding and the traction the ground offers me suddenly decreases. I'm used to working my toes and claws into the earth to give me the resistance that I need to turn effectively.”

As she listened to Zarena and Maria Flora was glad their minds were off the dead for the moment. She couldn't have her daughter dealing with the sadness for too long after all. Now she had to turn her attention to other people as Flora walked over to Mina. “So when am I going to get that little girl of yours?”

While Mina had been considering her daughter amongst the death Flora's question surprised her. “What do you mean?”

Flora, “Well you're going to be training with the matrons once your daughter is born aren't you? You're going to need someone to take care of your girl and I've already had two worth the experience.”

Mina, “Thanks Flora. I've been trying to maintain my fighting skills despite not having a sister my size I can spar with safely. I really should have started fighting with the matrons earlier though I'm not sure if it would have helped with the most recent attack. It's probably time we started learning to use a simple ranged weapon like a sling. Even if our brothers are learning to fight as well there is no reason to only rely on them to kill enemies at a distance.”

Flora, “True. We're going to need some strong materials to make slings for us though. I wonder what kind of speeds Maria could get a stone up to if we can make something that won't break.”

Mina, “That's a frightening thought. She may be able to put enough power behind a projectile to take me down with that speeds of hers.”

Flora, “I doubt that. The stone isn't likely to survive hitting you.” As she spoke Flora looked away from Mina and towards Maria and Zarena. Zarena seemed to have noticed her awkward position at long last and had lowered her hand down to Maria.

Zarena, “Maria if you don't mind climb on. Crouching over the bodies like this doesn't seem appropriate.” It was clear that Maria liked using her speed. Nearly the moment Zarena had made the request she felt a set of feet in the center of her palm and a strange tingling running over the side and towards the center. It was likely due to the rapid impact of Maria's feet on her skin. With Maria securely in hand Zarena began to set up and had to ask. “Maria how durable are you? Could you kill yourself if you were to fall while running at top speed?”

Maria, “I can't move fast enough to kill myself with a simple impact and I do believe my body is more durable then normal but that's more of something I adapted to. I will say this. It hurts a great deal whenever I slam into something at full speed and if I found something sturdy enough and shaped right I'm sure I'd be seriously injured.”

To this Zarena gave a nod. In general the sisters were stronger then they were fast. So even being tackled at full speed didn't tend to hurt them. Maria's speed was an entirely different case. “Did your feet ever bother you?”

Maria, “In the beginning a great deal. I could travel where I wanted to go more quickly but I couldn't really travel further as my feet and legs would start hurting me too much. I've had a few years to adapt and my body has toughened up. Is this going to influence my lessons?”

Zarena, “It could.” As she spoke Zarena continued to look down at Maria. The sisters had grown so much since her time. When Zarena had first become a sleeper a guardian ranked sister wasn't anywhere near the size of her pinky finger. Now Maria looked like she could challenge it. To Zarena this was quite a site and she looked away from Maria for a moment towards the matrons before turning back to her and remember what she was going to say. “Typically our bodies are so durable compared to our speeds we don't have to hold back. With what I'm going to be teaching you there is a chance you'll injure yourself.”

Maria, “Thank goodness for rapid healing in that case.”

It was impossible for Zarena not to chuckle as she nodded her head. “That is true. We tend to recover quite rapidly. So does your healing work as fast as you can run.”

Maria, “Oh no! Absolutely not.”

It was impossible for Zarena to keep from chuckling at Maria's response. “Did something bad happen to you do to your speed?”

Maria, “I had to learn not to itch at my enhanced speed.”

Zarena, “Ouch! I guess you opened yourself up pretty deep.” By now Zarena had settled into a comfortable position. Her rear was resting atop the back of her legs and she had Maria held just below the top of her breasts making it easy to look down at her. Maria had moved a bit from the center of her hand and was now in a relaxed pose resting against her thumb. “I may not have increased speed but I have a rough idea of what you went through whenever I hurt myself with these claws of mine.”

Maria, “Did you have those claws before you became a sleeper?”

Zarena, “No. If you're wondering about how I became a sleeper. In my time there wasn't a great many sisters who had been mutated. So we didn't have such requirements for becoming a matron and especially for not becoming a sleeper. In order to become a sleeper you simply had to be trusted, responsible and willing to make the sacrifice. There wasn't a great many of us despite the hardships those who remained awake had to endure. Every sleeper dreams of waking up to a world in which we won't have to sleep again.”

As Maria and Zarena spoke Flora had continued to speak with Mina who was doing better now. At least she didn't look like she was ready to collapse anymore. Fortunately they were on a subject that Flora knew a lot about. “It was a nightmare whenever I first had Maria. She loved to climb and claw. Now you might think that you've found a crib that's solid enough for a young sister but I assure you it won't be. She'll climb out of it or flat out destroy it far quicker then you expect.”

Mina, “So how did you keep Maria in it?”

Flora, “You need to change her crib from something to escape from into something to protect. We have very strong guarding instincts even at that age after all. The way I did this with Maria is I would move her crib whenever she would escape from it. Now this doesn't work with every young sister but some of them hate having their cribs moved. In time Maria would stay with her crib just to insure I didn't move it. I ended up being bitten a few times do to this.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she imagined a very young Maria biting her mother. “That's cute! As long as she doesn't bite a brother.”

Flora, “Which with Dan being around her you're going to have to worry about that. The other thing you need to do is give them something to hunt. If you can give them something to hunt and something to protect in their playroom then it is much easier to keep them there. I made the mistake of becoming that something to hunt with Maria and Mira so it was hard to keep them from following me. You're going to have to worry that Dan will become her something to hunt for.”

Mina, “How do I avoid that?”

Flora, “I wish I could tell you for certain but like I said I had trouble managing my girls hunting instincts. You might consider not letting Dan feed her so she doesn't associate finding him with obtaining food. The problem with that being I don't believe Dan would be too happy about that one”

For a moment Mina was silent. She didn't like to think about her daughter harming Dan but the idea that their child might pursue him was an issue. There were cases whenever a sister would pursue their father. Fortunately the mother rarely had trouble tracking her child down. At their age they didn't even know to cover their tracks and most assuredly didn't know how. “That would be so embarrassing. Well let's see how Dremera turns out before we start worrying too much.”

Flora, “Yes. Who knows she might be a little sweet heart.”

Mina, “I'm sure she will.”

Flora, “Those are the ones that become the most attached to their father and try to track him down.”

Mina, “Flora! Well if anything she's going to associate me with food given that she's going to be taking her first meals from here.” As she spoke Mina pushed up on the underside of her breast lifting them into the air and making them appear all the larger.

Flora, “You keep thinking that. Then one day Dan is going to give his little girl a special treat and he's the one she's going to be thinking of. That reminds me. You should be the one to introduce meat to your daughter for two reasons. It can easily influence which one of you she thinks as the food provider and it can be bad if she realizes she likes meat while brothers happen to be made of meat.”

Mina, “I've never heard of anyone having trouble with that.”

Flora, “We don't tend to talk about it among sisters that haven't been mothers as it's kind of embarrassing. Oh my little bundle of joy tried to eat her father's hand when she learned he was made of meat.”

Mina, “Flora. You're trying to scare me and I know it.”

A delighted chuckle escaped Flora as she gave a nod. “I'm just checking to make sure you're not going to believe everything someone tells you about your daughter. Now have you taken the time to prepare oh wait. I guess you would have lost any toys you would have prepared for her due to the fire.”

Mina, “Actually no. Dan helped make a few of them and he made them with a young sisters claws and teeth in mind. They actually survived the fire.” For a moment Mina went silent as the notion of how well her daughter's toys were made sunk in. It actually prompted a slight chuckle from her as she shook her head. “I think he made them like that just to comfort me.”

***********************************************************************************

Alexa, “Are you sure you should be here by yourself?” As she spoke Alexa proceeded over to Ridon who had been setting behind a tree just out of direct site.

Upon hearing Alexa's voice Ridon gave a slight jump. He had been there to see his lover's body. He hadn't been chosen as one of the brothers to examine them despite his ability in necromancy. It was most likely Julia's fault. Yet knowing that his time was limited he had only been able to spend a little time with the corpse before he had to get away. If he had waited longer he might have tried something desperate. “Why not? It's how I'm going to be from now on.”

For a moment Alexa said nothing. She was still dealing with her sisters deaths as well so she wasn't quite in the mental state to deal with an attitude. She knew that Ridon had lost his love recently but his words carried an accusing tone she didn't like. “That's not true Ridon. You still have your brothers and sisters. We're here for you and we're all feeling loss.”

Ridon, “Yet those same brothers who are here for me won't let me try to bring back the woman I love!” As he spoke Ridon finally stood up and turned to face Alexa. This didn't change how much he had to look up a great deal but it made him feel better to be standing. “They tell me the chances of success are too low and it could end up damaging a valuable resource. Well what the hell does that matter? If I have a chance of bringing her back why not take it!”

Ridon's words immediately struck Alexa as strange. What did he mean by try to bring his lady back? The fact that he was a necromancer asserted itself moments later and Alexa knew what he was talking about. Ridon had asked the brothers if he could try to bring her back as one of the undead. “Ridon you know that such forms of necromancy don't tend to work on constructs regardless of how they're formed. You know the Luvarians experimented with necromancy on the early sisters to see what kind of results they could yield and they were the ones that dismissed it.”

Ridon, “Just because they couldn't doesn't mean that we can't! We keep pursuing the Luvarians trying to catch up to what they once where but what about other paths? We've been studying the sister's for generations and I'm certain if I applied what we've learned with the right magics I could restore her.”

Alexa, “Ridon are you listening to yourself? Don't you believe that your fellow brothers love our sisters just as much as you? Don't you believe they considered the potential of using necromancy to revive the fallen?”

Ridon, “They don't have the will to try! They believe just because the Luvarians couldn't we can't.” As he spoke Ridon began to walk towards the laboratory aiming strait at the brothers who were currently waiting hidden behind their robes. He knew a few of them had to be the ones chosen to work on the corpses and a few had to be the ones who chose to refuse his request. “You're a bunch of cowards you know that! You'd rather continue moving at this snails pace then take a risk and perhaps regain some of what we've lost! You want to become the ancient Luvarians rather then become something greater! You.”

Stella, “That's enough Ridon.” As she spoke Stella looked strait at Ridon. She knew about his loss but this wasn't the way to handle it and it wasn't the place. To Stella he was behaving like a child who couldn't see the folly of his own actions. Before choosing to continue Stella began to walk towards Ridon hoping to handle this is a quieter more secluded area.

Ridon, “Shut up! You don't.”

Stella, “Do not finish that!” As Stella spoke her voice was a deadly whisper. The disturbed ground and tiny bits of  earth returning to it revealed how quickly she had pushed off the ground. Stella knew that if she had been just slightly off she would have snapped Ridon's head off most likely but she had to shut him up. “Ridon the way you are behaving is disrespectful towards us, your position, yourself and the fallen. We're all in pain. You must calm down.”

Having Stella suddenly clamp her hand over his mouth like that after becoming a blur of movement served to quiet Ridon. It was more fear then anything else as he suddenly felt like a small child once again looking up at his mother. How could she take their side in this matter? Didn't he have the right to try to bring back the woman he loved? At least she removed her hand from his mouth a few moments later and he had time to calm down. “That was wrong of me I know you're grieving at the loss of our sisters.”

Giving her head a nod Stella took a seated position by the tree Ridon had been setting next to. “Let's talk. Something seems to be really bothering you.”

While Ridon had argued his case with the brothers he hadn't argued it with the sisters. This thought surprised Ridon and he quickly took a seat next to Stella. He wasn't talking to the majority but he knew that they could hear them. Their ears were too good for them not to hear him. “I argued to try to bring back the dead sisters using necromancy. I know that they wouldn't be alive but if we use the knowledge that we've gained from past studies I believe that we can restore them.”

At least now Ridon's outburst made sense. Stella didn't know much about necromancy and she sure didn't know about the workings of the magic. She did however know how to analyze a situation  and test the person's knowledge. “What information makes you believe that you can restore the sisters as the undead? You said our past studies show you that it could be done but that's too vague. Another brother might claim that past studies based on failed attempts show that we don't have the needed abilities.”

Ridon, “It's because we're all spiritual beings. The brothers focused on reviving the body of the sister first. What I propose to do is use the body as a connection to the sister's spiritual being and draw that back to us. Not all undead rely on their original body after all and they're still self aware. Once that connection has been made it may be possible to restore the body.”

Stella, “So the brothers have never tried such a thing? It seems to me that would have been a quick way to restore a fallen sisters in the past.”

For a moment Ridon was silent. In the early days before they had settled on active mating they had indeed tried to restore their numbers when they were diminished. “They tried it in the past and this only works if the spiritual existence you're trying to recall is quite strong. These weren't old sisters that had been exhausted by their hunger over the years and I know Aphila was strong.”

Stella, “I see. So what you really want to do is try to bring back your lover. Ridon I don't know I haven't studied this but are you claiming that all the sisters they tried to revive with necromancy were older sisters who perhaps had become exhausted due to the constant struggle with their hunger.”

Once again Stella began to go a path that Ridon didn't like. He knew better then to lie in this situation. “No. I can at least draw Aphila back though! I have my connection to her to draw upon as well. We say that we're studying the bodies of the sisters in order to see what we can learn. Well eventually the studying has to stop and a theory needs to be tested. We've established that the sisters can be carefully fed necromantic energy similar to how they can be fed life energy.”

Now they were hitting the point where Stella wasn't certain what to say. “I'm sorry Ridon I don't know enough about necromancy to know what that would do. It does sound like you've thought this through. Did you speak to your brothers like this or where you just yelling like you were a short while ago?”

Stella's questions were at least helping Ridon think. He hadn't been the most rational whenever he had spoken with the brothers and probably didn't present his information as best he could. The fact that he couldn't remember everything he said made him worry that he had killed his own argument. “Thank you for talking to me Stella. Time is running out for me so I'm going to go see if I can win their ears one more time.”

Stella, “I hope you're able to make a good case for what you want to try Ridon. I'm not sure if I would want to exist as one of the undead but at least it would be an option.”

***********************************************************************************

It was impossible for Mina not to hear the conversation between Ridon and Stella but she had her own concerns as she continued to chat with Flora. They each had their own way of handling the situation after all. “Did you ever speak with a sister who had raised their daughter with the father? I know that the brothers tend to be active in their child's life but Dan is actually going to live in the same house.”

Flora, “That doesn't happen often but I have spoken with a few cases. Typically young sisters who are raised with the father in the home are more content to stay in the home. Let's see if I can think of someone who's raised their daughter with the father living in the same home.” As she spoke Flora closed her eyes. Pera's mother was out of the question after all Pera's father was a druid and didn't stay at the home for long at all. Terima's mother wasn't an option either. “Anida! You should go speak with Anida about raising a sister with the father living in the same house. Oh and why don't you speak with Irina as well?”

Mina, “That is a good idea. She raised Julia with Kiara so she has a good idea of what it's like to raise a young sister and a human in the same house hold. She even knows how to handle it when the human is very young and can't be relied upon to make the mature choice.”

To this Flora gave a quick nod. “Yeah I'm sure that you could get some useful information from the both of them.”

***********************************************************************************

 Phinila had to steady herself as Pera leaned against her. How she wished that she would have kept her daughter in the town so she wouldn't have seen those bodies so soon. The fact that Pera was smaller then the dead sisters didn't seem to be helping the situation. It was hard for her to think of what to say as Pera was being remarkably quiet. She was just leaning against her mother looking towards the bodies from time to time. She had a good idea of what Pera was thinking about. “Did you tell Allen that you're going to be leaving for a while?”

To this Pera shook her head. “No. I'll tell him tomorrow.”

Phinila, “I wonder what he's going to do without you around. Stella is liable to start packing him around like she did when he was a baby.” It was a relieve whenever Phinila heard her daughter chuckle a bit.

Pera, “That's going to make him so angry. Allen really wants Stella to start letting him do things on his own. He's worried that if he doesn't learn then he won't be able to function as a brother. I guess he's going to get what he wants with what you told me about combat lessons.”

Phinila, “Yes and whenever he starts to complain about how hard the lessons are or how his body is hurting him you tell him that he wanted this. We're going to be busy as well. Before long it'll be our turn to learn how to fight and we will be the ones with sore muscles and aching joints.”

Pera, “That should be fun. Mom Tomorrow I want to go find my father is that alright?”

Phinila, “Yes honey that is fine. If you can why don't you convince him to come home with you for a while? It would be nice to have him back here. Besides I'm sure the brothers would love to speak with him about using magic in combat.”

Pera, “Sure. It would be nice to have Dad living with us for a while. Mom if I learn to fight and Allen learns to fight do you believe I'll be able to keep him safe.”

Phinila, “Pera there is no such thing as entirely safe. You and he will be far safer though. Perhaps you can even train together. He can be the sneaky little long distance fighter trying to break you down bit by bit and you'd be the fearsome predator trying to rip him apart.”

Pera, “That would be fun.”

Phinila, “Just make sure you don't try practicing alone. You're going to need a healer on hand in case there is an accident.”

***********************************************************************************

Sisters had to be careful about what they ate. They couldn't be like humans and eat just because they were upset. At least they couldn't in most situations. As Dan worked to prepare Mina a late night dinner he was confident that it wouldn't hurt if she ate some this time. Given what she was dealing with at the ceremony he was certain that it was worth while. Unfortunately most of the food he knew how to cook well was rather spicy. Mina didn't tend to cook such foods so he had to learn to prepare them when he wanted them and didn't want to go to the dining hall. He knew a few good dishes however and had them set out covered in heavy dinnerware to keep them from losing heat.

Mina, “Well someone has been busy while I was away. I guess you're not one of the ones who were chosen to carry the body.” As she spoke Mina proceeded into her and Dan's current home. She had smelt the food long before she arrived so there would be no surprise. It was still nice to smell the food and to know that he had been thinking of her.

Dan, “Welcome back Mina, Are you ready to feed our little girl?” As he spoke Dan turned to face Mina then looked to the food. It was hard to keep from laughing as he tried to reconcile the amount of food Mina ate and her size.

Mina, “She does feel pretty hungry. She was good up until she smelt sweets but now she's quite certain that she's hungry.” As she spoke Mina proceeded over to the table and took her position on a low sweat. Rather then making the table taller for her and thus requiring Dan to use a special chair she had taken to setting closer and closer to the floor.

Dan, “That's good to hear I would hate for this to go to waste.”

Mina, “Dan were you there whenever Ridon spoke to the brothers about trying to use necromancy on the corpse of a sister?”

Dan, “I was not and I didn't even know he had such intentions. I heard him yelling at some of the other brothers a while back and cursing Julia's name but that's about it. I'm guessing that their refusal to let him try is what has him to upset. Why did he have a outburst at the ceremony?”

Mina, “Yes and quite a bad one. Stella shut him up before he could say anything too offensive and calmed the situation down. Which is kind of a funny thought whenever I consider Stella's typical behavior. What do you think? Could necromancy actually work on a sister?” While she had been speaking Dan had been removing the covers from the food. Mina had to keep from crying as she smelt the freshly prepared meats after so much kobold. “How did you get fresh pheasant?”

Dan, “Mina typically necromancy doesn't work very well on constructs but you're not a typical construct. You're far more alive then most constructs which actually makes you a far better candidate for necromancy. The issue here is that you were designed so that necromancy wouldn't work on you or would be very difficult. I suspect the original Luvarians didn't want to risk fallen sisters being turned against them and as they couldn't always recover your corpse they designed your bodies so that they would be difficult to turn.”

Mina, “What about bringing the sister back in a way that doesn't involve the body?” Even as she was speaking Mina had taken up a small plate of meat and vegetables. She was already working on the seasoned tubers carefully chewing each piece to get the most flavor out of it.

Dan, “Huh? Would you want to be brought back like that Mina?”

Mina was actually a bit alarmed when she noticed the tone of Dan's voice. “What do you mean?”

Dan, “Mina. The body doesn't always have to be used for a necromancer to create an undead. At times you could forge an undead servant by using an item that was closely bound to the person or by using a place. Now I'm not a necromancer so my knowledge is limited but this should negate your body's resistance to necromancy entirely.”

Mina, “So what's the problem?”

Dan, “These undead tend to be rather detached from who they were before if memory serves me. Back whenever I was working in human society I encountered an undead servant who had been bound to his family sword whenever his body couldn't be recovered. He was more puppet then anything else even with the bond between him and his sword. I don't know the details but he didn't even seem to have a will of his own. Of course that could be the necromancer's fault as well. I've been told that the amount of its original self an undead retains depends heavily on the necromancers ability. It is quite possible that whoever turned him focused more on his fighting ability then his personality.”

As she was enjoying a tiny slice of meat Mina found herself wondering. If she were killed would she want to be brought back as one of the undead even if it meant not having a body like she had before? Could she handle being reduced to occupying an unfeeling body? “Dan if I were to die would you want me brought back even if I didn't have a physical body you could touch?”

Dan, “So long as you wanted to return and put off moving on for a while longer I would. Naturally I would have to begin my studies in necromantic alchemy so that I could craft you a body and then refine it. It's something of an unsavory field of alchemy but there would be no way I could leave you in a spiritual state.”

Mina, “Why haven't we been doing that with the fallen sisters then even if we can't use their bodies? I'm pretty sure we have some rather skilled necromancers amongst our past brothers.”

Dan, “It isn't just the necromancer. The more powerful the being you're trying to restore the more difficult it is to do so. In general you sisters are extremely powerful beings. We've had some good necromancers but I'm not sure how many would be good enough. It's also an issue of how badly the spiritual being wants to be returned. You can't produce a sentient undead without having a willing spiritual being. The third important factor is to insure that you get the right spiritual beings. Demons and other things are notorious for making use of a necromancers efforts to gain a foot hold.”

No immediate response came from Mina as she considered Ridon's and his outburst. He was desperate enough that he could try something very reckless and he had the knowledge to do so. The brothers had promoted him to his current rank because they believed he was a rational person and could handle such knowledge. She wasn't certain if he was capable of doing so given his current situation. “Dan why don't you go speak with Ridon about that? I'll take you to meet him of course but this might be the conversation he needs.”

Dan, “Shouldn't he speak to Julia instead?”

Mina, “Well he's pretty angry with her but then again. Okay let's go speak with Juila and then I'll take you both to speak with Ridon. I'm sure that she'll be reasonable or at least explain to us why this can't be done if we go to speak with her.”

***********************************************************************************

At first Julia had felt something close to annoyance whenever Ridon and his desire to use necromancy to restore some aspect of his lady had been mentioned. Whenever Dan had mentioned trying to recover the spiritual being instead of the body though things had changed a bit. Julia was certain that the sisters met all the qualifications for such a spell and without the body one of the major complications was taken care of. Unfortunately that was a complication in itself. “Dan I'm not sure if you know this but the further apart a spiritual being and their body is the more difficult it is to restore that person. They might be restored with their memory but they'd be missing the personality and the body or they might be returned with their personality but be lacking their memories. One of the main reasons such methods aren't used to regain loved ones is some of the horror stories.”

Dan, “I know that it's a serious risk but there is a big difference between those horror stories and this situation. You and Ridon aren't novice necromancers desperately trying to restore someone they lost. You're not trying decades, years or months after the event. I know the more time that has past between the death and the attempt the more difficult the situation is. This is a recent death though involving an experienced necromancer with strong ties to the person who died and if you would aid Ridon it would include a veteran.”

At first Julia said nothing. Dan had a point. This was as idea of a situation as one could hope for short of having a workable body and an empowered focus. The fact that Ridon was trying to restore someone who he had a bond of love with would help considerably. “You have a point. None of this matters though if it isn't what she wants as well. Mina. As a sister you tend to disrupt the flow of mystic energies so you can't be too close. However, I want you close enough that you could dash to us in under thirty seconds should the need arise.”

Mina, “I take it you're worried that something may go wrong.”

Julia, “Creating powerful undead and working with powerful spiritual beings involve a certain level of risk. This could end up pushing the limits of my abilities and I can't be sure we will get what we want. Actually, Mina we're going to need to find another sister.”

For a moment Mina said nothing as she considered what Julia was talking about. Her thoughts immediately turned to her child. “I take it you mean a sister that isn't currently pregnant.”

Vera, “That's not a problem. I'm keeping an eye on Julia anyway so I should be able to serve as your guard.”

Even Mina was surprised whenever Vera revealed herself. She knew that Vera was sneaky but she didn't expect her to be watching. “Vera what do you mean you're keeping an eye on Julia?”

Vera, “Pretty soon Julia is going to have some knowledge that could put her life in danger. I'm here to insure that she and that knowledge remains safe. Anyway, are you ready to go Juila?”

Julia, “There are some things I want to retrieve from the laboratory. Actually, instead of me leaving the safety of the citadel hm. Actually I believe the only thing we need is Ridon and something that Aphila would have had a strong tie to. I think I know what room he is in so let's go retrieve him.” Even as she spoke Juila drew herself to a standing position and began to make her way towards the apprentice area of the citadel.

Dan followed behind Juila and Mina walked close behind him taking her time to take little steps to avoid overtaking them. As she was walking she could smell Ridon as well as several other brothers. It was strange to find so many scents in the citadel. She could hear them sleeping as well. There was some foot steps on the floor and some scratching of pins as well as some papers turning. It was strange to hear so much life in the citadel and it seemed to make it a warmer place. As they were heading towards Ridon's door though she was growing concerned as she could hear some sounds coming from the door beyond his and the one before it but none within it.

It wasn't just Mina that was growing concerned. Julia had long ago learned to feel the life energies of others. She had also learned to feel the influence that certain magics had on ones life energies. As she neared Ridon's door she was growing more and more certain. “He's not here is he?” As she spoke Juila took hold of Ridon's door knob and gave it a twist and a push. She wasn't too surprised to find that it didn't open. The doors could be locked after all. “Would one of you mind opening this door?”

First instinct for Mina was to grab and force the door open. The memory of where she was stopped her hand though. “I don't believe we should do that. Let's make sure first.” Before continuing Mina gave Ridon's door several knocks before calling out. “Ridon we need to speak with you about something important.” Mina's final words were slowed as a citadel protector stepped past her and took hold of the door. The knob turned in her hands and she heard a click before it opened up letting them see inside. No one was surprised to find the room missing its occupant.

For a moment Julia said nothing but looked at the protector. She didn't look like the one who had helped Allen earlier. “Thank you. I need to get into this room as well would you open it for me?” As she spoke Julia walked over to the door next to Ridon's. She was actually a little surprised whenever she noticed the expression on the protectors face change before she turned and began to walk away.

Dan, “I don't think she liked you asking her to open the other door.”

A slight chuckle escaped Julia even as she felt her heart pounding in her chest. “I guess she heard our conversation and decided we have good reason to want this door open.”

While they were speaking Vera proceeded to open Ridon's door and glance inside. “We were right he's not here. I'll go track him down. Mina if you don't mind stand here and help keep Julia safe. I doubt any sister would try anything with the protectors around but I'd prefer not to take such chances.”

Mina, “Sure. I'm kind of curious what you're talking about when you say Julia might be in danger because of a sister. Would you mind explaining it?”

Julia, “Sure. Let's go gather some supplies though.”

***********************************************************************************

It wasn't too surprising whenever Vera had realized that Ridon's scent was taking her back to the laboratory. As she looked into the preparation room though she was quite surprised. “What is going on here?”

Upon hearing Vera's voice Mirin actually gave a slight jump. Even as an adult being in the laboratory, at night surrounded by dead sisters was unsettling. Preparing one of them for transportation was even less so. “Vera? We're just preparing Aphila's body for transportation to the citadel. What are you doing here this late? I thought you were keeping an eye on Julia.”

Vera, “I came to fetch him.” As she spoke Vera indicated Ridon who seemed rather perplexed by the situation as well. “Wait give me some more details.”

Carter, “Ridon came to us shortly after we had brought the bodies in and this time spoke more rationally. He has some ideas on how we might be able to restore Aphila and asked us to preserve the body long enough for him to share it with the rest of the brothers and gain approval. Since then he's been helping us prepare them to be moved to the citadel for proper study.”

Vera, “I see. My turn in that case. Ridon we're currently working on a plan that may let you restore Aphila in a limited extent that doesn't require the use of her body. While you were working on a resolution to your problem did you ever consider negating the body and simply trying to make contact with the spiritual being?”

It had been such a relief to Ridon whenever they had agreed to hold off on running any experiments on Aphila's body until they could meet one more time that Ridon had been on quite an emotional high. To have Vera show up suddenly and start speaking of restoring her without the body made it even more shocking. “Wait. What do you mean we?”

Vera, “Dan and Mina brought the subject up to Julia and she's agreed to help. She wanted me to retrieve you assuming that you would be ready to begin the act of restoration immediately to diminish the chances of failure. It seems now that we have a complication.” As she spoke Vera looked towards the corpse. She had heard the conversation and new the issues with the body. “So tell me Ridon. Do you have more confidence in restoring Aphila's spiritual self with or without the body?”

There was no immediate response from Ridon. He had seen the data on exposing the tissue of a sister's body to a necromancers power. That had more to do with making the flesh move again then restoring the spiritual being that once used the body. They hadn't even animated a sister's body yet. These thoughts made Ridon's throat grow dry as he realized that he had a choice in this matter. “Can you take me to speak with Julia?”

***********************************************************************************

Julia, “Typically the body would give us an advantage whenever it comes to turning someone into one of the undead. The sister's bodies present a complication though as in all of those cases the species was well established as receptive to necromancy. The sisters don't have that benefit. As you know I don't believe we can restore a sister as one of the undead using her body but I am well aware of the connection that a spiritual being has to their body. For this reason I suggest that we either make use of some of her blood in the spell or some of her flesh.”

Ridon felt like a student again as he listened to Julia even though he knew the information already. “What will happen to Aphila in that case?”

Julia, “She won't have an established body once she has been restored but we will still have her corpse. Once the spirit has been secured we can prepare the body and allow her to regain control of it. I see this as the safest path that we can take. Naturally having additional mages to help in the casting of the spell would be beneficial.”

Mirin, “You can expect my support. I'll even draw some of the blood myself and shoulder any burden that comes from doing so.” As he spoke Mirin knew that using some of the sister's blood was very different from using the entire body. If he used some of her blood and they failed he would have wasted a valuable resource. His free time would evaporate and he would have to answer for his actions. Fortunately they wouldn't have to use all her blood for the spell but rather a small sample would be sufficient. Using an entire body without permission would be on an entirely different level from both of those. Mirin's life could become extremely devoted for weeks or months if his actions weren't later confirmed but it wouldn't take years.

Julia, “No. As the most capable necromancer here I believe my decision would carry extra weight with this. I'll take on some of the responsibility as well so long as only a small sample of blood is taken.”

Ridon, “Thank you both! I'll do my part as well.”

Dan, “Mirin, Julia how could they even punish you for using the blood? Your talents are too valuable to lock you away in a prison or put you to manual labor. Plus you really don't have anything that I consider free time to begin with.”

Julia, “You make me sound like a mindless golem. I have my recreational activities Dan that I would hate to sacrifice.”

***********************************************************************************

This was strange. As Zarena looked towards the citadel she had watched as two spiritual presences had entered it. Both of them were quite strong while one had the markings of being a sister's energy. The other she knew was a human but she couldn't tell if it was a mage or something else. Then a presence had left the citadel and proceeded on a rather strange path until she had stopped at the laboratory. Then several spiritual presences including the one that had left the citadel had went back to the citadel. It was enough for Zarena to gently brush her finger against Nathan's side who was currently sleeping upon her crotch just above her lower lips. “Nathan wake up?”

It didn't take long for Nathan to jump to attention. He didn't know what was going on but he knew Zarena was waking him up. “What is it?”

Zarena, “There is something strange going on at the citadel involving rather strong spiritual beings. I'm pretty sure that a few of them are our brothers and one of them was given of the energies of a mutated sister. Do you want to go take a look at see what is happening?”

Nathan, “Normally I would say at this hour of the night? Given that they're running about at this hour of the night I believe that's even a better reason to go look at what they're doing.” As he spoke Nathan set up and waited for Zarena's fingers to take hold of him. Instead of feeling them grasping his side though her hand came to wrest beside him. It was nice that she was letting him make it his choice to climb into her hand but part of him didn't want to move even as he climbed onto her hand.

Zarena, “Do you believe I should try to be stealthy whenever I go towards the citadel? The citadel is built well enough that I can approach it and not disturb those inside provided they don't look out a window.”

Nathan, “Yeah try to move quietly. It's late and we don't want to wake everyone up especially considering the work that is to begin in the morning.”

***********************************************************************************

Audela, “Lestel are you certain that you want to let them use that?” As she spoke Audela looked towards her fellow protector and noted the small amulet she was holding. The amulet was enchanted and housed within it the blood of one of the most accomplished necromancers the Luvarians had ever considered one of their own. It was a very powerful necromantic artifact and as such carried certain risk.

Lestel, “The apprentices are going to be trying to further their knowledge with necromancy. It is acceptable to grant them an item to aid them in such matters provided it is done within the citadel and not removed from it. I will insure that they do not leave with the amulet.” It was up to the protectors and the citadel itself to decide how the apprentices were to be helped without the master Luvarians around. After listening to their conversation the citadel had agreed they should be helped but not given specifics. So Lestel had tried to settle on the right item to aid them.

Audela, “I believe they are more likely to harm themselves with the item you wish to let them use then to improve their results. You know that amulet carries part of master Idron's personality in it and he tended to be rather aggressive with his necromancy.”

For a moment Lestel considered what Audela had said. It was true. “You make a good point. Do you believe they could handle his stitching needle?” As she spoke Lestel was already considered it. Some undead required you to stitch together parts of other beings to make. This could be done with needle and thread and was the stating point. As the necromancer learned to meld flesh however the needle abandoned the thread. Items used long enough and by a powerful enough being took on a magical nature of their own.

Audela, “I.” Audela went silent as she felt a presence flow over her body. All protectors had a connection to the citadel and to one another. The citadel felt their inquiry and shared its thoughts on the matter. “It seems that we believe they can safely use the needle while still giving them sufficient aid for their learning. Lestel may I be the one to take the needle to them?” Even as she spoke Audela could feel Lestel's alarm. As annoying as the apprentices had been after so long they missed the interaction some.

Lestel, “As I was the one that helped the young apprentice you may help these. The elder apprentices tend to be the most annoying anyway.”

***********************************************************************************

It had been decided that Nathan would move to the citadel and his things had been moved. Until she was made to sleep again though he intended to spend his nights with Zarena. As he walked into the citadel the fact that she couldn't enter with him made him a bit unhappy but at least she would be outside. Now he just needed to figure out where the active people were at as he wondered through the halls. The citadel had been designed well and sound actually carried poorly from room to room. Fortunately there was the guidance orb in the entrance and it was willing to guide him to where the others were.

Carter couldn't help but yawn despite having agreed to help. He had been woken up by Julia while Vera was away and she had explained that time of was of the essence while they needed the aid of magic users. Now he knew what they were doing and had no objections to it. This would also serve as a safety net. The more that agreed to their current plan the easier it would be to justify it and the more serious their efforts would be taken as. He only wished that he hadn't been one of the ones to carry the body into the citadel as this meant he had very little sleep. Fortunately he would wake up fully whenever they began casting their spells.

Vera could hear someone approaching as could Mina and the two sisters looked to one another. The sound was clearly the foot steps of a brother. The air flow in the citadel and the magic meant their noses wouldn't tell them who it was unfortunately. They both turned towards the doorway and it was Vera who spoke first. “Evening Nathan. Did you come to see what was happening?”

Upon entering the room Nathan was surprised by what he saw. Two sisters, seven mages and one alchemist were in the room. Dan was currently busy preparing an alchemical circle on the floor which he recognized as a necromantic symbol. “Zarena saw something strange going on and asked if I wanted to go take a look. I have to admit I am curious as to what's happening and why so late at night.”

Mirin, “Well then you're just the person to help we could use another mage.” As he spoke Mirin placed a hand behind Nathan's back and began to push him further into the room. “Now as for what's happening. Ridon wants to perform a spell to draw Aphila's spirit back to us and bind that spirit to her favorite necklace using some blood from her body, necromancy and the bond they both share. We're going to be supply additional power to help the spell succeed.”

There was no immediate response from Nathan and that was intentional. He knew that Mirin had just given him a lot of information and he was going to take the time needed to process it instead of being roped into some scheme. “Okay the use of materials are your choice and right except the blood that should have been consulted. Blood is hardly difficult to find from a sister though and we could easily ask for some from any other sister to replace it. You're using the citadel as it was meant to be used so Zarena would be happy about that and everyone else has been scolded too much to argue with her. You have a strong connection to the dead. Okay everything seems to be in place.”

Mirin, “Huh. I hadn't even considered that about the blood we took from the corpse. So does that mean you're going to support our efforts?”

Nathan, “I'm already here but do you have any external power other then what the mages are going to be supplying and what about protection?”

Vera, “I'm going to be remaining close by to rush to your aid if something goes wrong with the spell. Mina is going to be staying further back in the event that I'm not enough to deal with whatever should arise. Beyond that there are the protectors who we can assume would come to our aid. Um hello.”

Everyone was silent as Audela walked into the room and turned her eyes towards Nathan and then Julia. It was easy to see which one was the most advanced necromancer amongst the group. It was amusing to be looked at once again with such shock and Audela had to fight back a smile. She could remember whenever new apprentices would first see her kind. They always looked on as if frozen in place. Most apprentices were well enough trained to feel the mystic energies inside of her body and knew this was a powerful being. She kept her pace slow in order to enjoy this experience as she walked over to Julia and held out the tiny sliver of metal.

No one was sure what was going to happen. As the protector approached her Julia couldn't help but wonder if something had happened. Was she inspecting their work like the other did with Allen? Whenever the protector held out the needle Julia nearly stumbled as she felt the energy that radiated from the tiny bit of metal. She was still uncertain of what was happening so Julia held out her hand just underneath the protectors. When she felt the metal meet with her skin she knew what to say. “Thank you for your assistance. This should help us a great deal.”

Instead of no response Audela gave a slight nod to Julia to acknowledge her words. It was nice to hear thank you from an apprentice after such a long time. Now she needed to be on her way though so that she turned and began walking towards the exit. The entire time Audela was listening to the hushed words of the apprentices. Now she could risk a smile since they couldn't see her face. Audela had once been for going silent on the apprentices and next generation Faelom. Now she wasn't certain if she would have done so but taken a more moderate approach of hurting them whenever they became a frustration.

Nathan, “I see. Well then. We could still benefit from an external power supply of some kind. I wonder. We were talking about blood a little while ago why don't we use some of it to power the ritual?”

No one said anything for a while and when they did it was Julia who found her voice first. “Who's blood do you have in mind?”

Nathan, “I was thinking I would ask Zarena for some of hers. I just need something to transport it in.” As he spoke Nathan began to look around the room. It didn't take him long to resolve that nothing was there for him to use. “I'll be back in just a few don't start the spell without me.”

***********************************************************************************

Zarena really didn't like cutting herself. Due to the nature of her claws she didn't just do physical damage but spiritual damage to herself as well. This impeded healing considerably. Fortunately Nathan was just asking for a little bit of her blood and had even found a bandage. She believed the bandage was actually some kind of protective covering but it would due to wrap her finger. As she inserted her claw into her skin she felt an extra sting and had to resist yelping due to the nature of the cut. At least this meant she wouldn't have to fight with her finger to get the blood to flow. “So what is that normally used for?”

Nathan, “I believe it was used to contain experimental slimes.” As he spoke Nathan was careful to gather Zarena's blood. He could feel the energy radiating from her blood as it filled the container and knew that they would have to be careful with this. Great power was found in blood if one knew how to tap into it. Zarena's blood was far more powerful then any he had encountered before though and she could easily provide a great amount. “So what do you think of our plan?”

Zarena, “It seems like the safest way to go. It's a good thing that you retained some necromancers in your society but Nathan. Well you know more about necromancy then I do.”

Nathan, “What's on your mind?” Nathan watched as Zarena withdrew her finger and began to wrap it. In most cases a sister would have healed from such an injury almost instantly. In Zarena's case due to her claws he imagined she would need an hour or two in order to fully recover. It wasn't a big deal but he doubted she wanted to hold her finger that entire time.

Zarena, “In order to produce a sentient undead you require a willing spiritual being. You have no way of insuring that the spiritual being you're trying to recall is going to be the one that's willing to respond. Just make sure you don't accidentally end up summoning a demon. I know Ridon would be crushed if anything other then his lady responded but well that would be even worse.”

Nathan, “Yeah. I'll be working extra hard to insure that there is no infernal influence. I wish that you could get inside to provide some extra protection.”

Zarena, “Yeah I don't believe I'd fit.” As she spoke Zarena was made to giggle and she diverted her eyes from Nathan to the citadel itself. The structure looked to be even smaller then her but Zarena knew that wasn't the truth. The entrance and the towers were just the tiniest fraction of the citadel while the bulk of the complex remained beneath the ground. “That is unless you want to move your spell casting to my living accommodations.”

Nathan, “It's tempting for safety reasons. If it wasn't for the protectors I would push for it but with the protectors I believe we benefit more from using a chamber meant for spell casting. Before I go though. Zarena did the protectors every bring the old brothers mystic items without request?”

Zarena, “Sure. At times even on request but more often then not they wouldn't bring the item we asked for but something else. I remember once my brother was allowed to use a focusing crystal of remarkable power for an elemental spell. When he asked for it again three weeks later they brought him a far weaker chunk of enchanted amber.”

Nathan, “That is interesting. One of them brought us a needle that had been heavily imbued with necromantic energies without us asking. Part of me is a little concerned. As a brother you get use to the ideas that the sisters can hear and smell everything you're doing. The citadel takes it to an entirely different level with the protectors. I get the feeling they can hear, smell and see everything we're doing.”

Zarena, “Think of how they must feel! It must be down right unpleasant whenever one of you go potty.”

There was no need for Nathan to look to know Zarena was grinning. It was actually rather embarrassing whenever such things were mentioned but he couldn't give in that easily. “Then perhaps you should give us some privacy once in a while. Thanks for the help Zarena I should get back to the others before they start the spell without me.”

**********************************************************************************

Ridon was going to have to be careful. As he looked towards the blood they'd used to reinforce the alchemical symbol he could feel the power radiating from it. It was safe to say that with the addition of Zarena's blood the power they had to devote to the ritual had more then doubled. If he was to lose control of that power they could all end up in very bad condition. To complicate the situation he had only been the central focus of such spells a few times. Often it was him backing up Julia not the other way around. He couldn't worry about that now as he stood at the top of the five points surrounding the glyph. Julia was to his side and Mirin had taken another. Two others stood with them while Nathan and two more brothers remained outside the circle.

Nathan wasn't going to be helping to cast the ritual and neither would the two that stood with him. They're objective was to maintain control of the energies. If the five casters began to lose control they would take over but they were not to add anything to the spell only to take away if the situation called for it. He wasn't worried that such a thing would be needed as he looked at Ridon, the needle, Aphila's blood and her necklace. He could remember seeing Aphila wearing it from time to time. Only whenever she was in town though and had no fear of it being damaged. It had been a gift from Ridon and she had taken good care of it.

Julia, “Are you prepared Ridon? You've used all the magics you're going to be using here before. You're just combining them in a slightly more complex form then you've done before.”

Ridon, “Yeah. I'm ready. Is everyone prepared to begin casting?” Even as he asked the question Ridon was fearful of the answer. Whenever he heard three yeses that fear built even more. He was prepared to draw Aphila's spiritual self back to them and he couldn't help but worry about the final results. Despite his fear he knew that he couldn't back out and began to build up the energies needed. He immediately felt a surge of energy from the four other mages and his fear was engulfed in the feeling of the magic running throughout his body.

For the moment Julia didn't try to add a great deal to the spell. Rather she focused on directing the energies into Ridon without overwhelming him. She had worked with him before and knew how best to direct energy into the spell so that he could maintain control. Now they would need to send out a pulse meant to draw the spiritual being they wanted to them.

As he cast the spell Ridon found himself drawing on the energies around them more aggressively. The needle was providing him even more support then he believed it would allowing him to control the energy more readily. The first pulse sent a tingle through his body. When no response came immediately he responded by sending out a second one each pulse partly shaped by the his own love for Aphila, her necklace and her blood. Feeling more confident after the second pulse Ridon made the third even more powerful then the first two in hopes of getting a response. He knew this could be one of if not the most time consuming parts of the spell. Finding the correct spiritual being could take time. The weaker the pulses you used the longer it would take fortunately with the support of the others and the blood from Zarena providing extra power he could produce very strong pulse while the needle and others support helped to control it.

With each pulse Julia added the same amount of power. While Ridon was trying to increase the power to locating Aphia's spiritual self she was remaining observant for the wrong response. Other spiritual beings including infernals could detect these and would manipulate them. There hadn't been anything to cause her alarm yet as she served to filter the waves but she wasn't going to take the risk of bringing the wrong being into their world just because she didn't feel anything initially. Each time the pulse became more powerful the likelihood of it drawing the wrong spiritual being increased as well. She had to put more power into deterring these beings with each pulse.

Mirin currently worked to help Ridon and Julia choosing to divide his efforts rather then focus on any one goal. He could feel the energy waves radiating out from them and could feel them becoming more precise. They hadn't found what they were looking for but he was confident that they were coming closer with each pulse even without increasing its power. Even if they did find the spiritual being they sought though there were complications. Either she could respond to the energy and be drawn to them making things easier or she wouldn't respond to the energy at all. The second would put more of the burden on them whenever it came to drawing it back and binding the spiritual being.

While they mages worked Vera kept a close eye from a safe distance. She could feel the energy radiating from the magic even from here and knew they were putting a lot of power into this spell. She had to watch carefully. If they accidentally brought something they didn't intend through she would be expected to be there to deal with the situation. At least her and the protectors. As Vera considered this thought she looked around and noted that currently three of the protectors had come into the room and were watching the progress of the spell. It was quite likely that their eyes could see more of the happenings then her own and they would know when something had gone wrong long before her. At the same time she didn't know how they would respond if something went wrong and thus couldn't rely on them to be in time to save her family. 

Ridon had stopped trying to keep track of the pulses that they had sent out and only considered the reserves of energy they had left. As they had plenty he felt confident in continuing. The others felt strong as well. The fact that they had been sending out pulses for over an hour to locate their target didn't even occur to him. He did feel excitement however whenever he felt a very solid response to his pulse and had to force himself to retain control. The needle in his hand had grown warmer since they began and now felt slightly hotter then body temperature. Focusing on the solid hit he had found moments before Ridon directed more energy into it and practically felt the needle pulse. The glyph beneath his feet soon followed as did the other four mages helping to cast the spell. Ridon could feel himself drawn to this existence and felt the blood and necklace practically sing in response. He was confident they had found Aphila. Now to established a solid connection.

It was clear to Vera that the spell had changed. The glyphs beneath the mages seemed to shift and she could swear she saw the blood beginning to flow around them even as its volume diminished. Despite all her time with the brothers Vera didn't watch spell castings too often. She was rather surprised whenever she noticed a fog seeming to radiate from the glyph and move up towards the ceiling Those brothers who had remained out of the actual casting to help maintain control suddenly became very aware and each moved to take up a position around the original five. They hadn't began casting yet so she was confident that the spell hadn't gone wrong but she was curious what was going on.

As they channeled the spell Ridon could feel the magic reaching out towards Aphila. The spiritual existence didn't seem to be responding to the spell which meant it would be up to them to draw it back. That meant this part was the easy part as he felt the magic establishing a connection between itself and the spirit. He had to be careful now. He needed to channel the energy so that a connection between the spiritual being and the spell could be made. He then had to make it strong enough to draw that being back while making sure it was secure enough that nothing came along for the ride. He was grateful for the others help and the needle which practically seemed to be singing in his hands now.

This was when she had to be the most aware. If something was going to try to latch onto the spell and either drain it or use it as a guideline to reach them it was now. That wasn't the only thing Julia had to worry about though. While she could feel much of what Ridon was feeling she also knew how tricky infernal beings and even other spirits could be. It truly seemed like they had found Aphila but even now they couldn't be certain that it was Aphila. She was actually relieved whenever she felt Ridon beginning to draw the spiritual existence towards them and realized he was doing it right.

Ridon couldn't just risk trying to draw the spiritual existence to them. Instead he found himself directing the magic through the blood, the necklace and his own memories of Aphila as a filter. If this wasn't Aphila then drawing it through these should serve to force it to reveal its true nature or at the very least weaken it considerably. With the help of the others he had been able to rapidly build up the spell's strength but now he needed to draw it to them and that would still require time. Ridon couldn't see the show that was going on right above their heads.

Vera knew to keep her distance despite wanting a closer look. The crimson fog that had developed from the blood now reached up in long tendrils around them. This merged together above their heads and formed a sort of slow moving vortex. Vera didn't know if this was intentional but Ridon and two of the brothers had began to chant quite rapidly while Mirin and Julia were the only ones who still remained silent. Vera knew enough about magic to realize that this chanting was done in order to help them better control the magic and retain their focus. Mirin and Julia didn't need to do this in order to maintain control so they chose not to.

Aphila was close now. Ridon could swear that he could feel Aphila's hands on her shoulder and her breath in his hair as the spell continued to build in power. There was so much strength in Zarena's blood that he had no fear of running out of power for the spell. Had it not been for the needle he most likely would have lost control of the power at this point and possibly been consumed by it or the others would have had to take control. It had all come together and now he could feel the magic steadily pulling on Aphila. Once he had drawn her spirit to them he would only need to bind her to the necklace and then they would be able to move from there. Having some of her blood on hand would make the binding all the easier.

The spell had gone extremely well though Ridon's methods had been far from efficient. If it hadn't been for the others Julia was confident that he would have failed due to running out of energy long before the spell was finished. With Zarena's blood backing them though that wasn't a concern. As she felt the magic drawing on the spiritual being though she was becoming concerned. It wasn't responding the way that such an existence should have whenever dealing with such a spell. It wasn't like they were being rejected but something was clearly off in that moment.

She was close Ridon knew that. Yet as he tried to draw the being to them she didn't seem to be moving in the least. Was Aphila's spiritual self rejecting them? The thought made Ridon's heart shake despite the power of the magic running through him. The spell didn't carry with it the feeling of rejection though. It was as if whatever they had found didn't even acknowledge their efforts and yet it was so very close to them. Ridon's initial desire was to increase the power of the spell to try to draw it to them by force. He knew better then that though even in his fear. Instead he continued to gently pull on the source hoping that it would respond to the magic and come to them.

This was very strange. Julia could practically feel the spirit as if it was standing next to her. With such a close connection the next step would have been to begin the binding. Despite that there was no way that they could begin to bind the spirit. It wasn't rejecting or fighting them but remained entirely unresponsive to their efforts. What would cause a spirit to behave in such a way whenever it was so close? If it had been an infernal being or a trick Julia was confident that it would have went along with the spell. Unless it feared detection and was waiting for an opening of some type. This thought immediately put Julia on guard and she began to stretch out her magic to better examine what they had found.

The vortex that had formed above the group had become quite stable at this point and Vera hoped that was a good sign. She wanted to speak with Mirin and find out what was happening but feared her moving close to the spell would disrupt the magic. So she settled in and continued to watch. The three that had stood ready to help control the spell were still watching carefully but none of them had began to cast yet which she took as a good sign. One thing that did concern her was the way the needle in Ridon's hand had began to respond to the magic. It now stood on its tip suspended by the threads of magic but it was beginning to shake violently.

It had been her intentions to support Ridon and that was it. In these settings it was often the best thing to do. With the lack of response though it was clear to Julia that something wasn't right and she began to chant. As the first words left her lips she was surprised by the power that came out and knew immediately that the voice hadn't been hers. She didn't notice the needle leave Ridon's hands and begin to float between hers as she reached out to the spiritual being. If the spell was going to have any chance of succeeding she had to find out what this was.

Even Lestel was surprised by the sudden happenings. Julia didn't recognize the voice but she did immediately. She wasn't frightened but she still looked towards Audela. Fortunately it was easy for them to speak so that the apprentices and Faelom without refined ears couldn't hear them. “You were right about not letting them use the amulet. It seems that the elements of master Idron's nature that were taken into the needle are a bit much for them.”

Audela, “Well. I don't believe that this is going to hurt their chances of success or harm them permanently. The female apprentice is holding herself together quite nicely despite the needles influence. I didn't expect the spell to amplify the impact the needle would have on them but that's one of the risk with such spells.”

This wasn't an infernal being Julia was certain of that. It wasn't some spirit of the natural world pretending to be something else either. There was something very strange about the spiritual existence in that it didn't respond to the magic despite seeming so close. Given the power they had put into the spell Julia was certain that it should have either been rejected or accepted. What could cause a spirit to behave in such a way?

There had been a moment when Ridon had feared what would happen when Julia took control of the spell. He wasn't certain it was her doing though whenever he looked to the needle. He could swear that the sliver of metal had a will of its own in that moment and it seemed to have chosen Julia. The fact that the state of their spell hadn't changed except to increase in power was comforting at least and he remained there to aid them in the casting. He only wished that he could speak with Julia but feared that would disrupt the magic. Relieve turned into horror as he felt the power of the spell shifting.

This was hard to believe and indeed seemed impossible. It hadn't even been a day since Julia had seen Aphila's corpse and that had been dead for several days. The realization of what was going on had finally sunken in and she had to release the spell. They didn't have the power that would be needed to influence the spirit they had been found but the energy had to be managed just the same. She knew this would require an explanation and looked towards the others. “Aphila is beyond this spells reach.”

It felt like Ridon had been kicked in the stomach. Without thinking he felt himself slumping forward thoughts of controlling the magic having left his mind. He felt a sudden surge of energy rush through his body and suddenly remembered the roll he had to play. It was too late however as Nathan had already stepped in to support them in dissipating the magic.

Mirin, “Julia what are you talking about?”

Julia, “Nathan the only time a spiritual existence responds to magic like this is whenever it isn't dead. Something happened to Aphila after her body stopped functioning because while I can't say what condition she is in I can say she isn't dead.”

Ridon, “What do you mean! We've already seen the corpse!” As Ridon called out he could hardly believe what he was hearing. The notion that Aphila wasn't dead seemed insane he had seen her corpse. “Wait. You said that she wasn't dead but that doesn't mean she's alive does it?”

Julia, “No. The fact that she isn't dead doesn't mean she is alive either. Think of the enemy that we were facing it was a spiritual amalgam that had included spirits of death in its make up. There were kobold shaman throughout the battlefield.  Something about the magic of that battle could have done something to her. There are other possibilities as well. Some necromancers seeking a powerful spiritual being for their creation don't have exact targets in mind but a set of criteria. She could have been drawn to such a spell.”

At first Ridon said nothing. Part of him wanted to scream at her. Julia had been against this attempt in the beginning after all and she had suddenly taken control of the spell. The more rational side of his mind knew that the failure wasn't due to her actions though. The spiritual being he had found just wasn't responding to the spell. “Can you tell us anything?”

Julia, “Yes but it only makes the situation more confusing. I'm sure you felt it as well Ridon. Whatever spiritual being you found and I do believe it was Aphila she is very close right now.” Even as she was speaking Juila was still focused on the spell they had built up. Given the power behind it she couldn't just release the energy but had to direct its flow away from them. The others had realized this as well and continued to support her even as the power was fading.

At first Ridon didn't say anything. He agreed with Julia that Aphila had been very close. He also knew that she wasn't responding the way she should have. Either in a negative way or in a positive she hadn't done what his studies had taught him to expect. “Julia do you believe that you could find her? If she is undead then she's bound to something and it should be possible to track her.”

Even while she was working on releasing the energy Julia had been thinking on much the same plan as Ridon. It was possible to track Aphila if she was indeed still in their world but she wanted to gain more information. It actually surprised Julia whenever she felt a rush of inspiration and the needle seemed to grow hotter. She didn't know if it had been her idea but she knew what she had to do. “Stop releasing the energy! We're going to saturate the spiritual being we found with what remains and then look for a response.” A collective what hit Julia moments later as every brother seemed shocked by her decision.

Mirin, “Julia what are you thinking?”

Julia, “This energy will engulf the spiritual being that we found saturating it and making it far easier for us to detect. Don't worry about harming her if anything this will aid whatever we found so at the very least it shouldn't consider this an attack. If it is indeed Aphila this will not only aid us in finding her but should help her hold out until we can. Now follow my lead.”

Audela, “That is not the apprentice talking.”

At first Lestel said nothing. Idron had been quite an aggressive necromancer. So Julia's sudden resolution on how to handle the situation was well within the confines of his personality. “I didn't expect so much of his personality to be inside that needle. I am very glad that we did not let them use the amulet considering the situation.” Even as she was speaking Lestel could see the spell shifting as Julia repurposed the power. “I hope all of this doesn't damage those memories she was trying to piece together from the dead.”

***********************************************************************************

It had been a strange night. As Zarena picked up another handful of debris she was glad to have the sisters off doing other things. Her massive size made it difficult for Zarena to help with several activities and meant the other sisters were hindrances when she could help. With them away working on other projects she didn't have to worry about stepping on anyone or waiting for anyone to move. With no one around she also had time to think and consider what had happened last night. Nathan had told her the story and she regretted she didn't have a better idea of how Aphila looked. With her eyes she could have searched for the young sister's spiritual self.

The thought that Nathan had made use of the sister's corpse without permission and might have to give an explanation didn't bother Zarena. She had been around long enough to get a grasp on the political landscape and had recognized many of the names mentioned in the process. There was simply too much political weight backing them for her to worry about them being punished. You simply didn't punish two of your highest ranked brothers, four of your most capable mages, one of your best alchemist, a keeper and a special missions sisters as well as several other mages over such things. She did lament that it all meant Nathan was busy in the morning. She would have liked to have him setting on her shoulder while she was working or else where. This thought brought Zarena's eyes down to her chest as she imagined keeping Nathan tucked between her breast while she worked.

Flora, “Good morning Zarena!” As she called out to the sleeper Flora still kept a safe distance from her. There was no point in risking being stepped on for no reason.

Zarena, “Good morning Flora. What brings you here?”

Flora, “I'm just bringing you your breakfast.” As she spoke Flora indicated a large crate she had brought with her. Inside of it was a large amount of the life bloom which had been picked for Zarena. “After the battle with the Amalgam we figured that it was time you had a little something.”

Zarena, “Fresh fruit? I'm used to only getting that whenever I first wake up.” As she spoke Zarena knew it was fruit because she could smell the sweetness from the crate. Her eyes helped her recognize what it was immediately due to the energy coming from it. “Are you sure about this?”

Flora, “You've really sped up our work so you've earned it.” Flora continued to wait near the crate even as Zarena began to walk towards her. As she looked around it was clear to see where Zarena had stepped as her feet sunk deeply into the earth. “Zarena if you don't mind would you flatten out the entire market area for us? It looks like you're well on your way to doing it anyway but I see a few uneven spots/”

Zarena, “I'm sure that I can.” As she spoke Zarena took hold of the crate easily grasping it between her pointer finger and thumb. The crate was just big enough to contain a guardian rank sister which meant it looked absolutely tiny in Zarena's fingers. “Flora this might sound odd but would you mind if I held onto the crate and waited to eat?”

Flora, “That is your choice. Do you have something in mind?”

Zarena, “I believe I'll have Nathan feed me later.” A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she noted the expression on Flora's face. It wasn't one of shock but one of understanding.

Flora, “Now if you're going to do that then you really need something that you can spread over his body properly.”

Zarena, “Mm that could be nice. I'd rather just suck on him if I'm going to have him in my mouth though. He's sweet enough without anything else.”

Flora, “Ah. I'm sure he'd love to hear you say that. That or be very afraid. A big girl like you could swallow him if she wasn't careful.”

Zarena, “I know and it makes me nervous to. I don't really like the idea of choking myself to induce vomiting and I'm sure he wouldn't like the experience either. There wouldn't be much of a choice in the matter if I did make such a mistake. So what do you all want me to do once I'm done here?”

For a moment Flora said nothing but took a look around. It was truly amazing how quickly Zarena had been working. “I'm not sure if there is much for you to do. You should probably take some private time and we'll let you know if something comes up.”

***********************************************************************************


Mirin, “We really need to resume our work on understanding how our sister's bodies absorb mystic energy. To those ends we should resume work on studying their skin, nervous system and I would like to resume the study on their brain tissue. Based on previous studies I believe that the organ primarily used for taking in and processing these energies is actually housed in the brain of a sister while the nervous system is an intricate part of that.”

Carter, “I don't agree Mirin. I believe the organs used for the absorption of energy and converting it into a form useful to a sister's body is housed in her digestive system. It has been established that it's the blood of a sister that carries such energies throughout the body of a sister just the same as with humans, as with elfs, as with orcs even the same with kobolds. Housing such an organ in the brain would make it difficult for the altered energies to be transferred into the blood.”

Mirin, “Not if the nervous system is also involved. Typically a human nervous system would be fried trying to transfer such energies however the sisters nervous system is far better suited to such tasks.”

Nathan, “We could devote body one entirely to the study of such a process and allow for all variables to be tested.”

Dan, “Do you believe it's worth devoting an entire body to such studies? I personally do.”

Nathan, “I do as well. Do we have any objections to devoting body one to the study of how our sister's absorb, alter and transfer mystic energies throughout their body?” As he spoke Nathan stood up and began to look around for anyone else standing or raising their hands. It wasn't surprising to see a few people but most seemed to remain seated. “It looks like body one is going to be devoted to the study our energy intake, transference and conversion.”

Ridon, “What type of energy though or is that to be left up to those conducting the studies?”

Nathan, “Well based on what we know already I believe it would be best to stick to using energies that are the most likely to get positive results. We can understand how the body responds differently to different types of energy when we know more. For that reason I believe we should either use pure life energy such as those used in healing wounds or augmenting living things or energies drawn directly from nature such as what the druids use.”

Julia, “Healing and arcane energies strike me as better. For a natural being mystic energy derived from nature would be better but the sisters are artificial beings. If you'll turn to page thirteen of report J Y twelve you'll find that his studies suggest that the sister's body easily process arcane energies when applied at low intensities.”

Nathan, “Okay then we'll go with healing energies and arcane energies used as the discretion of the studying team. If this works we should gain new insight on how to more effectively direct energies into the sisters lowering their need for other food sources. Joseph I believe that this would help you considerably with your own line of study later so how would you like to be the alchemist on this team?”

Mirin, “Hold on. Let's reserve assigning brothers to studies until we've settled on all the studies we're going to conduct.”

It had been Joseph's intent to respond but Mirin had beaten him to it. He did agree with Nathan but Mirin had made a good point as well. It left Joseph feeling uncertain as to what he wanted to do but he was going to keep the first study in mind. For the moment it looked like his studies in regards to the sisters was going to have to be conducted on his own time. “I don't have anything against  studying how the sisters take in mystic energy from their environment however I was thinking I'd like to work on tissue growth. If we could figure out how to encourage samples of the sisters tissue to grow and develop then we could perform far more consistent studies without having to harm our sisters. After all even if they heal rapidly and are willing to give us tissue samples I know they don't enjoy it and some samples just aren't reasonable to request.”

Nathan, “That is true. Wow we are so far from being able to develop a sister's body on our own. We can't even cause a smooth muscle sample to resume its growth with healing magic. I believe that it's a subject worth studying.”

Mirin, “Good call Joseph. It sounds like a worthwhile study to me as well. How many resources do we want to devote to it? I believe it will help if the team conducting the tissue development studies can freely take what they need. It would probably be best to test a wide variety of tissue as well in order to determine what tissue is the most likely to meet with success first.”

Nathan, “True. I would normally oppose devoting an entire body to every project but we have never had this many to work with either while our numbers haven't really increased. I believe it's safe to devote body three to this study given the heavy damage that it suffered.”

***********************************************************************************

Stella, “Allen what are you doing?” As she spoke Stella was a bit surprised. She could practically feel the magic in the air as she checked in on her son. He was currently setting over a piece of paper clearly focused on it.

Upon hearing his mom's voice Allen gave a slight jump. He wasn't hiding anything but he had been so focused on his efforts that he hadn't noticed her. Before speaking he quickly turned to face her. “I'm working on learning how to use this fire protection glyph. Mom could you come closer for a moment?”

There was no need for Allen to ask Stella to come closer as she walked further into her son's room and bent down bringing herself closer to him. “Did you ask your teacher if this was safe?”

Allen, “No but Julia told me that it was as long as this piece of paper didn't light up.” As he spoke Allen held up a small slip of paper for his mother to see. “She said the markings on this paper respond to magic and would begin to glow if the magic in the air began to reach dangerous levels.”

Stella, “What did she tell you to do if that happened?”

Allen, “She said to immediately leave the room and have you go set in it for a while.”

For a moment Stella said nothing. She could feel the magic in the air that was true but it was hardly a frightening amount. It felt as if one of the brothers had cast a strong healing spells or something similar to her. “And have you managed to light the paper up yet?”

To this Allen quickly shook his head. “No. I tried directing magic directly into it to make it light up but I couldn't do it like Julia could. I made one of the markings glow for a moment though!”

Stella, “Really! That's wonderful Allen.” As she spoke Stella was both proud of her son and curious what was the purpose of this activity. She knew that he would benefit from practicing using such glyphs and she was proud to see him working on his own. “You seem to be quite good at working the fire glyph as well.”

Allen, “Thanks but that's not what I'm suppose to be learning. I've been working on learning to channel different types of mystic energy into the glyph by imaging nature whenever I'm using the glyph. I can't wait to tell Julia that I can feel the resistance in the glyph” Even as he spoke Allen looked down at the glyph. He had been practicing hard and had even managed to learn to feel the glyph pushing back against him in less then a day.

Stella, “Would you mind showing me how you do it?”

Allen, “I'd love to but I can't. You drain too much mystic energy for me to make the glyph work mommy.” As he spoke Allen was a bit surprised whenever his mother looked slightly hurt.

Stella, “What? You mean you can't show your own mother how good you are at awakening that glyph but you'll show Julia?”

Allen, “It's not that mom! I'm not strong enough to awaken the magic with you in the room yet. I bet I'll be able to soon.”

Stella, “I'm sure you will but you know you need to eat to grow stronger. Come on lunch is ready.”

Allen, “Okay. Mommy do you know when Pera will be getting back?”

Stella, “I don't know honey. If you want I may be able to take some time away from work to take you and track her down.” As she spole Stella slipped a hand underneath Allen's rear and proceeded to lift him into her arms.

Allen, “No. I know she wants to speak with her dad really bad.”

***********************************************************************************

Desmon hadn't been surprised whenever Pera had come searching for him. Given what had happened he expected his daughter would want to talk. He had kept close for that reason but chosen not to remain in the village. He doubted that being surrounded would help Pera open up. Out in the forest it would be easier for her even as she set quietly clearly trying to arrange her thoughts.

Pera, “Dad have you had many friends die?”

Desmon, “I've had several die. Some close friends, some so distant that I'm not even sure if we were friends. Fortunately I've only had a few that I would call close die.” Even as he spoke he knew this was different for Pera. Sisters not only had friendship but had an extremely powerful biological desire to protect certain things.

Pera, “Did you ever feel guilty?”

Desmon, “I did once. A group of us had become aware of a mage that was twisting the natural spirits of the region for their own benefit. They were trying to make some kind of construct. We worked together to confront the mage and ended up killing him but during the fight we lost a few of our own as well. Their deaths were very hard for me to accept and I was left wondering if there is something that I could have done. It was only one mage and we thought that with the five of us it would be an easy kill.”

Pera, “What did you do?”

Desmon, “I realized that I had fought to the best of my ability. The idea that we were going to kill this mage without any risk to ourselves was arrogant even if it was only one mage. Whenever you engage in a battle you have to be prepared for the fact that someone might die. Perhaps if we had realized that none of us would have as we would have fought and prepared differently. The best you can do is learn from what you did wrong and work to insure that you won't make the same mistake again.”

For a moment Pera went silent. She could see what her father was saying. It wasn't making her feel any less ashamed though. “What about the guilt?”

Desmon, “In my case that faded during the pain of training. You can't change the past so if you feel guilty about it you should work to make sure that it doesn't happen again. That doesn't mean that it won't happen again but you can still do your best to insure it doesn't. Those old lessons came in very handy whenever I was in the spirit realm fighting alongside of your brothers.” As he spoke Desmon stood up and walked over to set down next to Pera placing his arm around her when he did. It was a bit of a strange moment as Pera was nearly the size of her mother whenever Desmon had first met her.

The feeling of her father holding her was nice even if he was smaller then Pera remembered. It was nice to make her smile a little. “I just feel like that I should apologize to someone. That I should tell them how.”

Desmon, “No Pera. In this case you have nothing to apologize for. You weren't even meant to be fighting that day. You need to get it out of your head that you did something wrong. That said. I don't believe telling you all of this is going to be enough to get you over these feelings. You not only have the guilt that any good person may feel in your situation you have your instinctual desires as well. Fortunately I know a thing or two about instincts.”

Despite the situation Pera was made to chuckle. As a druid that was quite true about her father. “You have a point. So back to your training idea?”

Desmon, “Of course. It's a lot harder to feel guilty whenever your covered in bruises and cuts. At least that's my experience. Typically it's enough to get ones mind to stop thinking about what you should have done or could have done and start thinking about how much pain your in.”

Pera, “Gee dad that sounds so much better!” It was nice to feel herself smiling again now that Pera had something to do. The fact that she wasn't being entirely sarcastic made the situation somewhat strange.

Desmon, “I'm glad to hear it! Now you've put on a bit of mass since the last time we did this but.”

Pera, “No!”

Desmon, “What? You don't think your father can give you a work out?”

Pera, “Absolutely not. I cam spar with Terima or some other sister to get my cuts and bruises. You can get your bruises and burns helping my brothers learn to fight.” As she spoke Pera wrapped both her arms around her father and pulled him against herself. This was done both to hug him and insure that he couldn't get away.

Chapter 32 by happiest_in_shadows

Desmon, “Now hold on a minute. I don't like the sound of that one.”

Pera, “Mom would really like it if you would come live with us and so would I. We could use your help in teaching the brothers how to fight again as well. You saw how badly they need it. It wouldn't be like you have to live in the house either. We could give you some kind of marking so that when you're in animal form the other sisters know not to attack you.” As she spoke Pera looked down at her father. He wasn't fighting against her.

Desmon had always been there whenever Pera needed him or wanted him. He hadn't been prepared to give up his life style as a druid when she was born though and that had caused a rift between him and her mother. Not that Pera couldn't lived with him in the forest but Phinila hadn't been prepared to give up her old life either. In the end he had relented believing it best for Pera to be raised amongst others like her and Pera had remained with her mother. Now he was in the same situation again having to choose between giving up his life as a druid and being closer to his daughter. “Okay Pera.”

Pera, “Really! You'll come and live with us or at least near the home?”

Desmon, “Yes. Perhaps some time not so close to nature will allow me to see something that I have yet to discover anyway. My progress has been quite stagnant.”

Pera, “Thank you Daddy!” Before she knew what was doing Pera had turned slightly and pulled Desmon more firmly against her body. Feeling confident in her father's strength from past experience Pera forgot to account for her increase in strength and ended up squeezing him more tightly then intended.

A sharp grunt was Demon's response to Pera's hug. The entire situation made him feel like he'd willingly walked into a trap with his daughter's unusually strong hug being the vice. He wasn't going to try to back out now despite that feeling and found himself smiling. “That's a little tight honey.”

Pera, “Whoops! Sorry.” As she spoke Pera relaxed her hold on her father. “So how do you want to stay at our house?”

Desmon, “How do you want me to stay?”

For a moment Pera went silent. She hadn't considered how her father would choose to live with them before. It didn't take her long to decide how she wanted to live with them. “I'd like it if you would live inside and if you could keep to your human form. Would that be too much trouble?”

Being out of animal form had a cost for a druid. If you spent too long away from the animal you could grow distant from the animal and the form would lose power. Desmon knew this risk quite well even as he spoke. “Okay. I'll keep to a human form.”

***********************************************************************************

Mirin, “What happened in here?” As he spoke Mirin found himself looking around the storage room where the bodies of the sisters had been kept. He could feel his alarm growing as currently he didn't see a single one of them. “What happened to the bodies!” Despite knowing that every brother currently in the room had been with him the entire time Mirin couldn't help but look to them for answers. The fact that twelve of the sister's corpses had gone missing was proving rather overwhelming.

Nathan, “Hold on a moment Mirin. Let's not panic and ask the citadel.” As he spoke Nathan was walking over to one of the guidance orbs that had been stationed throughout the citadel. He knew that all the eyes were currently on him but wasn't worried. After speaking with Zarena and seeing the last few days of activities he had a good idea of what had happened. The moment he touched the orb the answer popped into his mind. “Currently the bodies are in the research and development rooms available to apprentices.”

Mirin, “Did it tell you who moved them?”

Nathan, “No but I have a good guess as to who it was.” Instead of waiting for another question Nathan began to make his way out of the room and towards the research area. Everyone had been assigned their rolls and knew what the bodies would be used for. There was one thing they had to do before they could begin studying the bodies though. “Julia are you ready to examine the corpses and see if there is any abnormalities with their former owners?”

Julia, “I just need to retrieve a few items that I left with the corpses to augment my spells. Did you get a vial of Zarena's blood to provide additional energy?”

Nathan, “I tried but it's really hard to just get one vial from her. You should have seen the look she gave me whenever I asked her to cut herself one more time. Okay everyone. Once we get to the room. Everyone who's going to be assisting or staying within the casting area has to put on their protective clothing. Otherwise you should be well outside the casting zone.”

Carter, “Don't worry Nathan. We all know the standard procedure.”

Nathan, “Then why did we have to ask Vera to go retrieve some alchemical potions to fortify certain people's bodies against hostile or aggressive magic?”

Carter, “That's because we were up late last night working with an exceptionally large amount of mystic energy to try to restore one of our lost sisters.”

While the others were talking Dan looked towards Ridon. “Ridon are you well enough to really do this? I know you must be hurting right now.”

Ridon, “Yeah. I'm not the only one though. You and the others really did me a favor last night and took a great burden from me. I know we still have a lot to figure out but first we need to check the other sisters at the very least. If they're all like Aphila then we've got a real problem.”

Dan, “If that is the case we may even have to put the study on hold. In either case though this is the place to begin our work.”

Ridon, “You know I just realized I've never asked you how you're doing. I know you considered Liza a good friend.”

Dan, “I haven't been the one tending to the shop for a while but I was used to seeing her regularly despite that. Knowing that I'm not going to see her again hurt a lot. I miss speaking with her but I'm finding other things to fill that gap. With everything that has been happening I'm going to have plenty to fill it soon.”

Ridon, “That's good.” As they had been speaking the group had reached the apprentice research and develoment rooms. Ridon wasn't certain what he'd see whenever he entered but from the way those in front of them were moving it wasn't what they had expected. He realized why whenever he stepped into the room as well.

The sister's bodies had been laid out each at their own station. Amongst the bodies were some of the tools the brothers had prepared for their study. Others tools were missing while several tools they didn't recognize was setting next to them as well. One odd item that stuck out even amongst all the new material was a large chest with a symbol on the front of it. It seemed to draw the attention of most of the group especially those who knew what the symbol meant.

Joseph, “Is there something strange about that box?”

Mirin, “That's an old Luvarian symbol. It means damaged goods.” As he spoke Mirin moved towards the box. Did they expect them to put the remains of the sisters inside the chest? He doubted it given its size. There were no warning signs on the box to indicate that there was something dangerous in it but he worried what damaged goods may mean to the Luvarians. It felt like Mirin had been kicked in the stomach whenever he opened it up and looked inside.

Nathan, “What is it?”

Mirin, “It's the missing tools.” As Mirin spoke he opened the chest completely to allow the others to see inside. A great many of the tools they'd brought to examine the bodies had been placed within the chest. “Whoever did this apparently believes that these tools aren't sufficient to be used in our studies.”

It took Nathan a few moments to organize his thoughts. In the mean time he found himself listening to a few comments from the brothers. “Zarena did mention that the protectors would at times bring things for what they considered the apprentices to use. If they're leaving these materials for us then it's their intention to help us. I wonder if it was this type of behavior that started the first brothers to moving away from the citadel. I admit. I'm a little offended to.”

Julia, “A little?” While everyone had been looking around Julia had walked over to the chest. One of the things she noticed inside was an imbued bracelet she had made to help augment her necromancy. The fact that it went into the defective container did not make her happy. “Well let's take a look at what they do consider appropriate for our work.”

Nathan, “That sounds good but keep in mind. Perhaps they're just saying that our tools aren't suited for this particular task. This is very important research after all.”

As she listened to Nathan Lestel gave a slight smirk. How could they believe those tools were worth noting?  The cutting instruments had clearly been enchanted after forging and had been crafted in a natural flame. The necromancy bracelet had a piece of cut amber inside of it which was once again enchanted but it had been taken from a natural tree. A proper piece of amber would have either came from the tree of a dryad or from one that had been nourished with the proper alchemical formulas. So many of their instruments didn't show the proper loving care that it took to make an adequate item.

Mirin, “I wonder if behavior like this is one reason our ancestors began to work so hard on completing the library and the laboratory. In any case. These tools do appear to be superior to what we had been planning on using. Let's begin our work and feel offended later. Julia you still need to insure that none of the sisters are in the same state as Aphila.”

Julia, “Okay. You're right.”

***********************************************************************************

Dinon felt rather strange as he looked around their village. He had learned the rules set upon their society early and didn't expect them to change. Now he would be leaving the village to help build a new one and he truly felt strange at the moment. The orcs who would build this new village had been selected and now they stood ready to leave. He actually found himself worrying as to whether or not the original village would be safe while they were gone. They were taking a good portion of the skilled artisans with them.

Kelah, “Well someone looks like he's ready to go.”

Dinon, “I wish. I'm still worried about what's going to happen here with so many of us gone. It's not like the Amalgam was the only threat we have to worry about.”

Kelah, “True but who said I was talking about you?” As she spoke Kelah turned her attention away from Dinon and towards Razor who was currently leading a group of young tuskers out. “See. He's done selecting the tuskers that will live in the new village. It looks like you picked the younger ones. Are you sure they can make the trip.”

Adapting to a new home was typically easy for a tusker as they traveled a great deal. Despite that Razor had selected tuskers that weren't too set in the forest. Learning to run on the sand would be difficult for them. He truly hated it but he would follow Kelah wherever she chose to take him. At least that is where the tusker believed they were going. Kelah had given him the command to herd and combined it with the one to move out. He had taken this to mean he needed to prepare a herd to leave. Then she had mentioned mating and he was certain she was taking them to a new place to live.

Dinon, “It figures. Aren't you worried Kelah? Without you here the villages defenses are going to drop considerably and after everything that happened in the spirit realms the animals have been acting strangely.”

Kelah, “I spoke to Linod about it and he doesn't believe that we should worry or more likely he believes that this is worth the risk. I wonder how this is going to work out. My father has actually been trying to speak with the spirit of our ancestors to find the proper way to build sea boats.”

Dinon, “That is an issue. All of ours are only suited for riding the rivers. It's been a long time since we last saw the sea and I don't know of anyone who knows how to make the old ships.”

Kelah, “There were some records of it but apparently they haven't been well kept. Plus the layout of the ships doesn't make a lot of sense if what I've seen is to be believed.”

Dinon, “What's the problem with them?”

Kelah, “They just strike me as small for fully grown warrior orcs. Then again perhaps that's what our ancestors were like. This forest has a way of changing what comes into it. That's something I'm going to leave up to my father to worry about for the time being. I'm going to go check on the others and their preparations. Whenever I return I expect you to be fully prepared to leave.”

Dinon, “What? You are not prepared to depart either.”

Kelah, “Dinon I've had my gear prepared since two days ago. Just because I'm not carrying it with me doesn't mean I'm not prepared. Razor make sure Dinon is ready to go when I get back. If he slows down give him a poke.”

There was no doubt in Dinon's mind that the tusker had understood what Kelah told him and would do it. The fact that the tusker was walking over to them confirmed his fears and served to speed him up. He was confident that he could take Razor in a fight but he also knew if he did that would mean fighting Kelah when she returned.

***********************************************************************************

She was a veteran necromancer. She had taken to crafting her own magic amplifying equipment attuned to her unique spirit and body. Her work was on par with the best. She wasn't suppose to be struggling just to retain her sense of self. Yet as Julia held the staff in her hands she was less casting a spell and more trying to keep herself from being overwhelmed as the item directed the energies. She could feel the presence of the previous owners of the staff as well as the gauntlets, ring and amulet she was wearing. Their personas seemed to pound into her head and she was struggling to force her will upon them. Despite all of this though she could feel the magic working.

Those who had remained in the room with Julia had given her quite a large area to work in. They could feel the power coming from the items and believed themselves prepared but this was even stronger then what had happened earlier. It also served as an important reminder. Knives, swords, staffs and other items were tools. The more powerful the tool the more careful one had to be while using it. It also meant one needed more experience and knowledge in many cases. Magical items were also tools that demanded respect. All of them were experienced mages and alchemist of some type so they had assumed they would be able to handle these tools. Now they weren't so sure.

You're not going to overwhelm me. I am the one that is directing this spell not you. Ran throughout Julia head as she struggled to retain control of not just the spell but the equipment as well. As she thought this and pushed forward with her will she could feel the magic binding yielding to her desires. Despite what she was saying in her head though Julia was being careful not to push anymore power into the spell. It was hard enough to handle as it was. “I. I believe I know why they didn't leave the needle for us.”

Ridon, “Are you okay Julia?”

Julia, “The enchantment in these are far weaker then what was inside that needle I can feel it. I believe the only reason we were able to control it is because we were working together. Be careful whenever you're using this stuff.” As she spoke Julia felt like she was more in control of the magic. She was getting use to the tool's strength and could at least speak now. There was no way she was going to try directing more power into the spell yet despite those feelings.

Mirin, “Can you tell us anything about the sisters?”

Julia, “Give me some more time Mirin. I'm stilling trying to locate their spirits but so far I haven't found anything.” Even as she spoke Julia had been feeling for the spirits. This wasn't like with Aphila. In her case they had a specific spirit in mind. Now Julia was trying to locate any spirit that might be the spirit of one of the sisters. Fortunately their deaths were recent which would make them stand out more against the others. Julia was also capable of narrowing down the field by only searching for particularly powerful spirits and finally by the fact that they should be relatively close.

Nodding his head Mirin took a moment to look away from Julia and towards some of the other tools the protectors had left out. Given Julia's response he felt the best thing they could do was take some time with each one of the tools they were going to be using and insure they could handle it. “Everyone let's give Julia some more space and inspect our equipment. I'm feeling a little worried after what just happened.”

***********************************************************************************

At least Zarena had something to do now. As she slipped her hand into the ground she looked to her side and noted the strand of rope that had been left with her. It had several markings noting the depth to which she was suppose to dig. It had apparently been resolved that the new dining hall should be large enough to accommodate sisters that were up to thirty five meters tall. It actually made Zarena chuckle a bit as she imagined that it would be like if every sister was matron sized except for the sleepers. Did that mean that the sleepers would become the new matrons if they were allowed to remain awake? Zarena wasn't sure but she picked up the rope and lowered it down to see how much longer until the foundation was deep enough.

Terima, “Hey why are you getting to play in the dirt while I have to hunt?”

Upon hearing the voice Zarena immediately turned to see a rather young sister watching her. Currently she was holding a large tusker and a rather plump dear. Both of which were clearly dead. “Believe me I'd rather be hunting then doing this but it's so troublesome to hunt at this size and not lay waste to vast tracks of land.”

Terima, “I imagine so. So is it safe for me to come over there? I was told to give you your space when you're working.”

Zarena, “Of course. What brings you here.”

Before moving towards Zarena Terima extended her arms holding the deer in one and the tusker in another. “Pick the one you want.”

Zarena, “Huh?”

Terima, “Na. I'm kidding. They're both for you. The adults have us kids running around doing all the hunting right now. We pulled in a bit more then we need for the day so I was told to bring you a little something. We figured it's been a while since you tasted fresh meat after we woke you up using the life bloom and healing potions.”

Despite Terima's words Zarena was even more confused. “I was given a crate of life blooms not too long ago. I admit it's nice to have something solid on my stomach but you don't need to worry about me that much..”

Terima, “Well. They're still for you. A lot of the storage facilities were damaged during the destruction of the market district as was the smoke rooms. So we really can't preserve this meat effectively right now and we hunted a bit too much today. So we decided that you could use some fresh meat.”

It was Zarena's first instinct to refuse the food. This wasn't how a sleeper was suppose to behave after all. They were meant to deal with a threat then return to their slumber. She was already awake far longer then she should have been and now she was beginning to eat actual food instead of relying on the energy system. Unfortunately she could feel her mouth watering at the thought of fresh meat and Terima had made a good case for why she should eat it. “Thank you very much.” As she spoke Zarena lowered her hand towards Terima being certain to keep it upturned. Rather then taking the meat from the young sister she would let Terima put it in her hand.

Once Zarena's hand was close enough Terima hefted the animals up onto just past the tips of her fingers. Seeing those large animals dwarfed by Zarena's fingers was actually quite a display. “Zarena I hope you don't mind me saying this but some things about that size has to suck.”

Zarena, “Oh by the makers yes. It takes so much to nourish you that you can't rely on natural energy sources but you keep your taste for meat. Fortunately without the hunger our desire to hunt is greatly reduced. Given that every time we're awoken we have a powerful enemy to deal with we effectively don't have to worry about our hunters instinct overwhelming us. When you eat you have to take your time or you won't even taste your food let alone get a chance to appreciate the flavor. Then there is so few things that you can actually do. As a sleeper you can do really big things but that's pretty much all you can do. You quickly learn that there aren't a great deal of really big things to do though but rather a whole lot of little things that have to get done. I really wish that my brothers research into encouraging mutations had paid off more.”

Terima, “What was that?”

Zarena, “Azon was part of a group of brothers that disproved of the idea of a sleeper. Quite vocally to be honest. Rather then having a few sisters grow to such monstrous size he wanted to work on methods to encourage us to develop mutations. After all who knows how powerful a sister would be if she was carrying twelve or so mutations similar to my claws, Maria's speed, Fera's eyes and Mina's strength plus a few others. I would say that such a sister could even be a serious threat or more powerful then a sleeper even if she was your size.”

Terima, “They chose to go with the path that was certain though instead of going down the path that might take far longer to show results if it even succeeded.”

Zarena, “That is correct. Of course there was a major problem with it to begin with. For the project to work they would need sisters to study that would mean sisters that are willing to go into comas for five or more years at a time for the sake of the research. They would also need a large sample size. Put simply we didn't have enough sisters that were willing.”

Terima, “What did he have in mind as far as the project?”

Zarena, “Azon wanted to try a great many stimulus. He wanted to have some sisters to go sleep hungry so their bodies felt stress, some very full so their bodies felt relaxed, he wanted to apply environmental stimulus and have systems that constantly delivered food into the sister's system. His goal wasn't to learn why we developed certain abilities but rather to find a way to encourage those abilities to happen. He thought of dozens of things that could easily contribute to if a sister developed an abnormality or not. He thought of dozens of way to apply different stimuli as well. He argued constantly that the best way for us to increase our power was not for a few to accept a great burden but everyone to accept a moderate burden.”

Terima, “That sounds fair. What happened in the end?”

A sigh escaped Zarena. “Some argued that because the sleepers wouldn't know hunger the constant pain of living with it that it wasn't just a burden. That in some way sleeping like this would be justified by not feeling that hunger.” An annoyed snort escaped Zarena and she couldn't help the bit of anger that flashed upon her face. “Naturally very few of us were willing to become sleepers and those who argued that it wasn't that great of a burden didn't volunteer. It became clear to all of us especially Inperia that we weren't going to convince them within this life time.”

The name was immediately recognizable to Terima as one of the sleepers. “Did they consider applying your brothers stimulus methods to you and the other sleepers? Perhaps we could have ran some kind of feeding device to your mouth and tried that method. I don't believe anyone should have to sleep hungry after all.”

Zarena, “Even if you have to do it all the time?”

Terima, “Yep. Well unless the person is a food stealing rascal or worse then they can sleep hungry.”

A delighted giggle escaped Zarena as she looked at Terima. She still had the fruit from earlier so it was nice to be able to eat the tusker and dear now. “Well it's a good thing we don't have anyone like that around here.”

For a moment Terima went silent as her mind immediately switched to the distrusted. The only way Zarena could say something like that is if she didn't know about the distrusted. The thought caused Terima to freeze up for a moment. What would Zarena do if she learned of the distrusted? Given her belief in the old ways it seemed to Terima that she would kill them. What would Zarena have to say to the rest of them for allowing the distrusted to live? The thought actually made Terima shiver a bit as she imagined an angry sleeper roaring at them.

Zarena, “Terima are you okay? You look and smell distracted all of a sudden. Did you think of something that frightened you?”

Immediately Terima gave her head a slight shake. “Yeah I noticed that little bit of drool on the right of your bottom lip. I'm not used to having something as big as you looking hungry.”

Zarena, “What! I'm not drool. Oh.” Zarena went silent as she wiped her lip. “I am. Sorry about that. Perhaps I should go ahead and get these things inside of me.”

It was hard for Terima to be sure if she had really done the right thing. She wasn't fond of the distrusted but she sure didn't want to see what would happen when Zarena learned about them. “I like your brothers plan it would have been nice if no sleepers were needed but what about in the long term? Even sisters with powerful mutations eventually give out. Sleepers last longer as well you're asleep so much you don't feel the fatigue of time or that's what I've been told.” While Terima had been speaking she watched as Zarena carefully bit the deer in two. There was no need for her to chew but she began to do so anyway apparently taking her time to enjoy the taste.

Zarena, “It's true we don't feel as much fatigue. The first few times waking up are the worse then it becomes manageable. It is nice to be awake longer though. My brother hoped that he would find a way of causing sisters to develop that was so effective he could insure each time they slept for five years they would awaken with a new power. It was his belief that such an offer would be good enough to convince many sisters to sleep at least once and some of them would do it more then once. He couldn't convince the others to try his method however as he had very little data to say that it would work.”

Terima, “Sisters can develop more then one mutation though after all you have two in your eyes and your claws.”

Zarena, “That is very true. He didn't have that data at the time. I wonder if I would have more by now if they had tried different things each time I went to sleep. We couldn't use sleepers though. We're too big and too powerful. If something was to go wrong and when we woke up we weren't in our right minds a great many sisters and brothers could end up dieing and well I don't know how I would handle it if when I came to my senses I learned I had murdered many of my own family.”

Terima, “That is true. I guess it's a really difficult thing to experiment with. Perhaps when we learn more about the sister's bodies we can come up with a theory at least.”

Zarena, “Perhaps. That or maybe once we've learned enough about ourselves we won't even need to sleep. If that is the case though I wonder why the ancient Luvarians didn't use such methods on us. You're a very bright young lady Terima.”

Terima, “Thanks.”

***********************************************************************************

Julia, “I can't find any of them. There is nothing to lead me to believe that any form of necromancy has been used on the other eleven sisters at this point.” As she spoke Julia finally relaxed her body having been trying to detect the spirits of the fallen sisters. She doubted that it would even be possible to turn them into undead at this point given that she couldn't find their spiritual selves or anything that might lead to them.

Mirin, “I see. That is reassuring in some ways. Ridon Julia, the two of you are going to be in charge of Aphila's body. You're responsible for trying to find her spiritual being and seeing what influences this act of necromancy might have had on her corpse.”

Ridon, “Thanks. What do we do whenever we're prepared to begin tracking her?”

Mirin, “Sora and Fera agreed to accompany you to investigate the situation. They said that if someone is tampering with the spiritual existences of their fallen sisters they want to see what's happening. As they're both matrons I don't anticipate they'll cause any complications with the spell.”

Nathan, “Sora and Fera? If you're going to send that kind of power with them why don't you just ask Zarena to go with them?”

Mirin, “Huh. Well if you don't believe she'll mind I'll ask. I guess there isn't a lot she can do around the village right now. Won't that pose a problem if they need to investigate inside a structure or underground? The only way Zarena could get inside is to open the entire structure up and then she may not actually fit inside of it.”

Nathan, “That could be said for matrons as well and I'm sure Zarena would like to have something to do. She's a sister so she'll be glad to protect someone.”

Mirin, “Julia, Ridon are you two okay with that.”

Julia, “It should be fine.”

Ridon, “Yeah. But Julia how do you plan on tracking Aphila's spiritual self?”

Julia, “We're going to use some of her remaining blood. The blood contains a great deal of a beings spiritual energy so we're going to use it to make an item that will direct us to beings with similar spiritual energy. It's fortunate that the body is in such good condition and we didn't use much of her blood last night. I just hope that the protectors don't decide that it's an inferior tool and put it in the chest before we have a chance to make use of it.”

Mirin, Ridon and Nathan all felt a little strange. It was as if Julia had taken a jab at the protectors for putting their tools in the box. It actually left the three men grinning as they wondered how the protectors would respond to such a comment. Nathan have inspected one of the protectors to appear behind Julia and give her a little poke or an annoyed snort but that didn't happen. He still had to assume that they had noticed what she said and had some kind of response.

***********************************************************************************

Carter, “Okay everyone I suppose it's time to begin our work.” For a moment Carter felt a burning pain in his throat which he had to force down. Currently he was holding one of the cutting tools the protectors had left and he wasn't looking forward to using it. He didn't dare think of the name that once went with the corpse even as he looked at it. “Keep in mind that the more we damage the body the faster it's going to begin to break down. So we need to work diligently once we begin cutting.”

Dan, “How should we go about this if our goal is to determine what energies the sisters respond to most positively? I think what we're mostly interested in is the tissue found in the digestive track.”

Carter, “Yeah. Fortunately the specimen wasn't too developed so we have less muscle to cut through then we normally would. Should we section the digestive system off into its own sections?”

Dan, “I don't believe we should that seems to be going too far. I believe we should immerse the entire corpse into a necromantic chamber that has the outside warded against decay. We then can open up the stomach and begin taking tissue samples of each organ and exposing them to different types of energy. We may not want to introduce any life energy to avoid contaminating the research material but that doesn't mean we can't keep the natural influences of decay away from the body. I also believe that we should use natural methods of preservation such as chilling the corpse.”

Carter, “That is a good idea. Okay I'll take two of the others and go gather what we need. I hope that a chest large enough to store a sister's corpse isn't too hard to find.”

***********************************************************************************

Julia, “Ridon I want you to take this.” As she spoke Julia handed Ridon the staff and received a rather strange look in return. “The staff, gauntlets and amulet nearly overwhelmed me during the casting. I don't believe I can safely handle all four of these items so I'm going to intrust you to use the staff wisely.”

Ridon, “Then shouldn't I use one of the weaker items? You already have me using the ring and well I'm not as experienced as you Julia or as controlled.”

Julia, “You're just as strong as me though. In this case you may even be stronger as it's Aphila we're trying to find. I expect you to meet my expectations.” As she spoke Julia moved to Aphila's corpse and began the process of drawing another flask of blood. She had chosen an amber and copper amulet to serve as the target for the tracking spell. The use of someone's blood to locate them was something Julia had studied fortunately and adapting it to find an undead was hardly a difficult task. “Ridon I also need you to remember that someone or something had to do this to Aphila on purpose.”

Ridon, “I know. That means that someone might try to stop us from recovering her.”

Julia, “Yes but it's not just that. Ridon. The only way this could have been done to Aphila is if the spiritual being that once used her body was willing. Her response to our attempts to find her shows that she isn't struggling against whatever happened. You may not like what you find once we actually begin to track down Aphila's spiritual self.”

Now Ridon went silent. He knew what Juila was telling was the truth but he didn't like the implications of it. Perhaps Aphila had responded to the magic without thinking in order to avoid a more permanent death. That wasn't the type of behavior that his studies led him to expect from a spiritual being. “Julia what are you going to do if you find another necromancer has Aphila's spiritual self?”

Julia, “I'll try to barter with them and see if we can convince them to give her back.”

Ridon, “What if that doesn't work?”

Julia, “Then we'll kill them and take her back naturally. Unless the spiritual being that is Aphila resist that is the next logical step. You don't use necromancy on a member of someone else's family without realizing there is some risk involved especially if they come looking for that spiritual being. So are you ready to begin?”

Instead of answering immediately Ridon took a moment to clutch the staff in his hand. He could feel the power of the magic that was held within the item. He could feel it reach out of the staff and push into his body threatening to overtake his own spiritual energies. The energies that he had become use to manipulating. In some ways this feeling frightened him as he knew that while in many ways they were the same each person and items mystic energies were shaped by their source and behaved slightly differently. Would he be able to handle such a powerful foreign power?  “I'll have to trust your judgment on this one.”

Julia, “That's a good decision.”

**********************************************************************************

Flora wasn't entirely certain what to think as she looked out over the changed landscape. Zarena had been quite busy. Not only was the market clear of the remaining debris but it had been leveled and the foundation for the dining hall had already been dug. When Flora looked to the massive Zarena she realized how simple of a task this was for such a massive being but it was still quite a site. Now Zarena seemed to be looking around apparently in search of something else she could do. “I see that you've been busy.”

Zarena, “Not as busy as I'd like to be.”  For a moment Zarena looked down into the opening she'd been working on digging. Zarena was a good deal over one hundred meters tall though not two hundred meters. Given her scale the depth to which she dug looked to be around one fifth or one sixth her height. Given the width and length as well she couldn't help but wonder if she would be able to lay down inside of the opening. “So is there anything else that I should do? I'm getting desperate enough that I”m thinking about going back and reading what my brother left me.”

Flora, “Your brother left you something to read? Then why don't you take some time to read it.”

Zarena, “Well. I sort of don't want to read it too quickly. You see. It's sort of like a letter from the past to me. So long as there is more to read though I'm not expected to respond to it. Once I finish though there won't be anyone to respond to and well that will be it. Normally I only read it after finishing my task after being awakened in the few hours before the sleep overcomes me. It needs to last me a long time after all.”

For a moment Flora said nothing. She could remember what it felt like when Maria went to sleep. Knowing that she wouldn't speak to or see her daughter walking around for over a decade hadn't been easy. What had Zarena's brother thought whenever he realized that he would be dead whenever she next woke up most likely? At least he would have been far older. “Your brother must have put a lot of thought into what he left you.”

Zarena, “Yeah. I wish that I could have told him how grateful I was whenever I discovered it.”

This was not the direction Flora had wanted to go. It seemed the longer that Zarena was awake without doing anything the more time she had to think. “Isn't it something that when the time comes that you may be allowed to remain awake you find someone like Nathan waiting for you?”

A slight chuckle escaped Zarena after only a moments pause. “I thought of that to! Oh.” For a moment Zarena went silent and lifted a hand to her face partly covering up her smile.

Flora, “You just thought of something.”

Zarena, “Well yes. Oh how this size can be a curse at times. I would whisper it to you but I'm afraid everyone could hear my whisper.”

A slight chuckle escaped Flora. The sisters were used to knowing the brothers business as they couldn't speak quietly enough to hide what they had said. It was a different matter for the sisters that were used to using low speak in order to communication with one another. “Well then how about you pick me up and whisper into your cupped hands very gently? Even if the other sisters hear you they know better then to speak about the private business of another sister.”

Zarena could feel her face growing warmer. It had been a long time since she had a girl talk with another sister and she felt out of practice. It almost felt like she was a young sister once again just beginning to become sexually active with her brothers. “It had been so long since I mated. Well not if you count the recent times but oh I feel like a naughty little girl again.”

Flora, “You were a naughty little girl?”

Zarena, “No!” Immediately Zarena felt her face warming up as she realized her mistake in words. The blush didn't appear to be going away as she looked back towards Flora and pressed her two index fingers together. “Well perhaps a little naughty.” With those words Zarena lowered her right hand down next to Flora so that she could climb onto it.

There was no hesitation from Flora as she climbed onto Zarena's hand. Being friends with Mina and dealing with a daughter like Maria meant Flora was well experienced with beings that are more powerful then her. It was strange being lifted in one hand towards Zarena's face and Flora allowed herself to fall into a seated position just at the edge of where Zarena's fingers connected with her hands. “Now what's on your mind?”

For a moment Zarena said nothing but pressed her lips against one another. She could feel her skin becoming all the warmer and knew that her feelings had to be filling the air. Any sister in the area or within a few kilometers would probably know that she was feeling embarrassed. Zarena just barely moved her lips as she cupped her hands around her mouth to muffle the sound in attempt to insure only Flora could hear what she said. “When you mentioned me meeting Nathan in this era I couldn't help but think that perhaps this was destiny or something like it. It's been so long since I've felt such a strong attachment to a single brother and for it to happen when I have a real chance at remaining awake at least for a while it really is wonderful.”

Flora actually had to listen quite careful to hear Zarena. She really didn't want this to get out. “It looks like all that breathing control you've been practicing with Nathan has worked out. You're being very quiet. You know I bet Mina felt the same way whenever she woke up though for different reasons. Mina had intended to grow to keeper size once again and then go back into a coma to see if she developed another mutation. She would have if Dan hadn't been around to give her a reason to stay awake. However, I don't believe that's why you wanted to whisper to me though.”

It seemed that Flora was good at these things. It was true Zarena hadn't said the reason she felt embarrassed. “Well it's just that.”

Flora, “Whenever you met Nathan you felt like you have gotten your brother back and more.” The speed with which Flora accelerated backwards was quite stunning even to her though quite breath. Upon looking up at Zarena's face and the expression upon it she knew that she had hit the nail on the head.

Zarena, “It's so embarrassing!”  Before she knew what she was saying the words burst from Zarena's mouth as she looked down at Flora. With only those three words others wouldn't know what they had been talking about but she still felt a bit worried. “I mean for that to be one of the features that makes me so attracted to him. It's just felt so good though to feel like I had regained a part of something so precious to me from so long ago. You would be amazed by how many things they have in common.”

Flora, “Did they both put on the I'm a frail old man so you should do things for me acts?”

Zarena, “No. He didn't have the look to put on such a routine. Then again Nathan doesn't have it either if you take off those robes and shave off his facial hair.”

Flora, “When did he do that?”

Zarena, “He never did but my eyes let me see things that yours don't. Nathan is both preserved by his magic and by active use of alchemy as are all our brothers if I'm not mistaken. I can see it running throughout their bodies. Even the ones that aren't mages are constantly exposed to alchemical potions meant to strengthen the body aren't they?”

To this Flora gave a nod. “Yes they are. If we could give birth to human brothers on a more regular basis I wonder what they would have become by now. It's really amazing that they still let Nathan get away with that act though.”

Zarena, “It's because he puts so much effort into putting the act on that people let him get away with it. That is one of the similarities I see. As I mentioned to you Azon once sneaked back into the citadel after being told to stay away from it. Even if he wasn't harmed by the protectors the fact that he ignored such an order should have been a problem. I didn't tell you the full story though. Azon quickly learned that the protectors wouldn't allow him to be removed by force so long as he didn't damage anything.”

Flora, “You mean the sisters tried to take him out?”

Zarena, “Yes and they ended up being put out by the protectors. Then whenever they tried to bait him out by not bringing him food it was learned that the protectors were bringing food to him. He caused so much trouble and shifted so much of our understanding of the citadel and the protectors on its head. It was as if the protectors had accepted him as a ranking Luvarian and we weren't allowed to exercise our will over him even as constructs of the Luvarians.”

Flora, “Yet when he finally left the citadel he got away with it.”

A slight chuckle escaped Zarena. “It wasn't his first time doing these things either. My brother got himself in trouble often by taking risk that were considered too dangerous for a brother. However, keeping him from taking these risk proved completely impossible. So finally he was allowed to get away with taking risk no other brother could because he put so much effort into taking them. Even now whenever I think about it I still feel a level of amazement that he didn't get himself killed. He was very close to the original Luvarians in that.”

Flora, “What do you mean?”

Zarena, “Flora just consider how the Luvarians worked and the aggressive pace with which they created new life forms. They were an organization that was entirely enraptured by the act of creating with little to no regard for what happened after the actual creation. The only reason they took efforts to preserve their organization was because if they all died the creating would stop.”

At first Flora said nothing. Given the respect that Zarena had for the early Luvarians it was surprising that she would see them in such a light. It was pretty clear due to his reckless behavior how Zarena could believe he had the same spirit as them as well. Flora had never known Nathan to be reckless though but she was a sister and couldn't be certain of everything he did. The brothers had their secrets after all. “Nathan is one of the brothers that is pushing the hardest to find an energy source that will let us sate our hunger. He has no concern for what will happen once we become that powerful just like the ancient Luvarians.”

Zarena, “Now you see. Our brothers don't design kill switches into the systems they make for us. Even now you know exactly were the life bloom is I'm sure and know how to cultivate the plant as well. It is truly wonderful that our brothers put such trust in us as a society and as their family. However, to deliver such power to so many is also extremely reckless.”

It was impossible for Flora to keep from chuckling. “You make a good point. They are so caught up in their great work that they don't consider what it might mean in the long run. It has always been. We will solve the issue of their hunger and then deal with what comes next after that. I wonder how our brothers would respond if we told them all of this.”

Zarena, “It may be good for them. I don't believe it would stop their efforts or even slow them down. It may even speed them up but it's important to know one's own motives. That tenacity and drive though is one of the thing that draws me to Nathan. I suppose I like my mates a little reckless. With a body like mine they sort of have to be.”

It was nice that Zarena was no longer thinking about what she lost. As Flora listened to her though the thought of putting Zarena back to sleep was almost sickening. It was one thing to ask someone to sleep before they had formed any strong bonds. To ask her after she had come to love another and get to know so many was very different. At least providing for her with the new developments hadn't proven to be a burden but how long was this going to hold? It was possible that Zarena was using energy she had obtained from the fight and the actual system wasn't fully sustaining her. If that was the case how much was she going to need to eat to sustain herself. “Zarena. What are you going to do about your body? I mean if we did all grow large enough that the sleepers were no longer needed what would you do about restoring yourself to a smaller size.”

Zarena, “Now that is a problem. Naturally I don't want to be away from Nathan for any length of time but at the same time this massive body is very troublesome. Naturally there is the question of how easy this massive body is to sustain should this happen but assuming that there is no environmental pressure for me to reduce my size I would like to remain like this and be with Nathan. While he studied my body and looked for a way to cause me to shrink. That or I wonder if I could pour my spiritual self and memories into a knew flesh.”

This was not the response Flora had expected and she couldn't help her alarm. “What! That would mean giving up your powerful body!”

Zarena, “It would be worth it to no longer be a burden on a society that doesn't need me and be with the one I love most in this world. Nathan's comment about Aphila and how they were trying to turn her into one of the undead got me to thinking. If I were to kill myself then it should be possible for them to take hold of my spiritual self and put it into a new body. Naturally I'd lose the power that this body held and I have no way of knowing how suitable that body would be but it seems worth it if you only consider that. The only reason it wouldn't be worth it to me personally is how much Nathan loves this body.”

This was so far from the response Flora had been expecting. For Zarena to be willing to give up her power rather then slumber while her body shrunk and be separate from the one she loved was surprising. Especially whenever Flora considered the dangers of using such methods. “Well I hope you'd give him some time to figure out how to reduce your body without killing yourself or putting you into a coma first.”

Zarena, “I'm sure that he would have some ideas that are better then my own.” A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she noted the concern in Flora's voice, her scent and face. “I don't really believe Nathan or the others would let me try such a risky method to reduce my size. That said. If I was no longer needed as a sleeper I would be willing to do it in order to remain with Nathan. I love all of you enough to endure the burden that comes with this size but if you no longer need me to endure that burden things change.”

***********************************************************************************

It felt like Ridon's fingers were going to fall apart. After a moment he changed that thought to this entire body falling apart. The strain of handling the staff had been far greater then he imagined and he wondered what had kept him going. His body wasn't use to the energies that radiated from inside the staff and it had been hard to force them to work with his own. “I remember reading that an extremely powerful magical item could kill a weak user. Now I feel I know why.”

Julia didn't say anything as she held up the amulet and felt it resonating in her hands. Ridon was truly just being dramatic. He wasn't used to using truly powerful items and it had been more of a burden then he expected but he was no where near death. She wouldn't scold him for that as it was the first time he had used such a powerful item but she would teach him later. “If we confront another necromancer then you may be expected to use that staff to fight against them.”

Ridon, “That's fine. If it will aid me in finding Aphila then it's worth while.”

To this Julia gave a nod. “Okay let's see.” As she held the amulet Julia could feel it pulling on her. “This should now lead us to Aphila we just have to follow it. Let's go speak with Vera in the entry room and see. Oh no.” A sudden wave of dizziness struck Julia and she found herself leaning against her casting table as her memories began to adjust.

Ridon, “What's wrong Julia?”

Julia, “The memories are becoming clear. I know what the two sisters ended up fighting one another.” As she spoke Julia began to look around the room slowly. “I need to go speak with Vera. Ridon you come with me.”

***********************************************************************************

Vera, “I see. So your first belief that it was a sister that somehow manipulated the two of them into fighting one another was wrong. Instead it turns out the two of them weren't suited to be guardians in the first place.” A low growl escaped Vera as she shook her head. “The idiots. I am not however certain how to handle Dominic.”

Julia, “I'm surprised it happened or that a brother would be willing to risk so much. Apparently Dominic had been seeing both sisters. This normally wouldn't have been a problem but he had them both thinking that he was going to become their mate. The scent I noticed wasn't the scent of fur but rather the scent of his hair because he spent a lot of time helping in the dining hall. I don't know how the sisters ignored their noses they had to smell his scent on one another and each others scent on him. The big issue is that he lied to both of them.”

For a moment Vera went silent. Sisters knew the brothers were in limited supply so they understood they had to share. That didn't mean they didn't desperately want a mate just for themselves. This tended to make the sister's territorial whenever they became close enough to a mate and they stopped sharing. This had some benefits for the brother and some cost. It was however insanely dangerous to try to play two sisters at once. A sister could easily kill a brother in a moment of rage and the brothers understood this. Playing with a sisters heart was a great way to get killed. “It seems that it was a matter of all three of them being stupid. So Julia what do you think should be done?”

Julia, “Whenever I tell the others what happened Dominic's credibility is going to be destroyed neither brother or sister is going to trust him. However, I don't believe deceiving and manipulating two sisters for the sake of some sexual thrills and perks is severe enough to be considered a crime. Yes the end result was a tragedy but if a brother wants to take such risk isn't it his choice?”

At first Vera said nothing. She wanted to be angry and blame Dominic for what had happened but in truth it was because two sisters learned the truth and chose to take their anger out on one another at the wrong time. “This is so fucking stupid! Can you imagine a dumber reason to get yourself killed? Right now I'm having trouble doing it.” A sigh escaped Vera as she shook her head. “Our society is built on trust though and he manipulated that trust for his own gain. I don't believe he's fit to be considered a full brother any longer.”

Julia, “Well you know now Vera. I need to get back to Ridon and resume our hunt for Aphila. Can I trust you to handle the wrest of this?”

Vera, “You know some sisters may try to kill him. They're going to imagine what it would be like to manipulated like that and they're going to remember the pain of their deaths. They're going to blame Dominic for what happened and I swear it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to kill him. Why couldn't it have been entirely his fault? A situation in which several are partly to blame including the victims is the absolute worse case scenario.”

Julia, “You know there is distrusted sisters in this society. Are you surprised that they are some distrusted brothers?”

Vera, “Oh! That is a horrible thought.” For a moment Vera went silent as she took in a deep breath. Effectively this is exactly what the situation was. A distrusted brother. It was a strange thought and it made Vera's chest burn but it was the situation. “I wonder if making him live as a claimed that it was illegal to kill would suffice.”

***********************************************************************************

It hadn't been long since Julia had went to speak with Vera. Upon her return Ridon immediately perked up. “So is everything okay?”

Julia, “No. In fact there will most likely be quite a lot of ugliness now that I've spoken to Vera. However, you and I have other concerns. Have you made any progress with the amulet?”

Ridon, “It feels like I'm holding Aphila's hand whenever I hold this amulet. It's no wonder some necromancers go crazy trying to regain a part of someone they lost. It's strange though. At first it felt like the amulet was pulling me in the direction of the library but then it shifted. Now it feels like I'm being drawn towards the apprentice dining area.”

Julia, “That is strange. Ridon let's try moving outside. It is possible that all the magic in this place is influencing the amulet. We should be certain in this situation. It may even be better if we waited until we were in the market before we tried using it.”

Ridon, “That sounds good. If Vera is gone what sister is going to help us get around?”

Julia, “Vera should be sending one of the sisters to help us. I remember being told that Sora and Fera had already involved before Nathan made the suggestion of having Zarena help. I assume it's going to be one of those three.”

To this Ridon gave a nod. He was glad that Julia hadn't asked him to hand the amulet over. He didn't know if he was willing to do so even as they stepped outside. It was strange but as they walked out of the citadel the amulet seemed to be pulling them back into it. He was so lost in this feeling that it was only Julia's hand pressing into his chest that kept him from falling down the steps leading to the citadel entry way. At this time he realized that he was completely engulfed in a massive shadow and didn't need to guess who had come to help them.

Zarena, “Well hello you two. From your attire I take it that you're Julia and Ridon.” As she spoke Zarena wondered what all the courtyard to the citadel had been meant for. There was a section that was basically clear flat stone large enough for her to stand or even set in though she had to keep her legs close together. She imagined it was either for displaying large war golems or perhaps for dragons to land in. She wasn't sure of which.

Julia, “Hello Zarena. Are you ready to help us with our search.”

Zarena, “Yes. Sora came by and mentioned it a little while ago. Everyone else is busy running around finding resources, deciding on what the resources are going to come from, who's going to build what, what has to be rebuilt first, when the changes are going to begin it's all just well. If I was small enough to help I would but such work isn't suited to me.”

Julia, “I don't know. You could go over to the beach and search around in the ocean for some large slabs of stone to use. That way they wouldn't have to go digging up the forest.”

Zarena, “Hey! That is an idea. Once I'm done helping you two I should really go do that.” Zarena found herself actually grinning when she considered the notion that she might be able to help out. The ocean was also one of the few things that could still make her feel small as long as she didn't think about it too much. “So what's the plan?”

Julia, “We need you to carry us to the town center and then from there let Ridon guide you.”

Zarena, “Okay. Is there any particular reason that we're going to the town center?” Even as she was speaking Zarena had already began to walk while holding the two brothers in her hand. This thought struck her as strange for a moment as she looked at Julia. Did Julia prefer to be thought of as a brother or a sister? It was a strange thought but Zarena wasn't used to dealing with human females. It would be really bad if she called Julia a brother and the woman preferred to be thought of us as a sister. “Alright. Julia I hate to ask this but do you prefer to be noted as a brother or a sister?”

Julia, “We want to get away from the magic of the citadel. It seems to be making the amulet behave strangely. As for that. Well most seem to think of me as a brother and they sure treat me like one.”

Zarena, “That is strange. I've never heard of the citadel negatively influencing magic before. You didn't really answer my second question though. I asked which one do you prefer to be thought of as.”

A sigh escaped Julia as she looked up at Zarena. It wasn't surprising that a sleeper wouldn't have trouble thinking of her as a sister when she considered it. Any sister below matron was no threat to Zarena whatsoever and even matrons weren't much of a threat. “I prefer to be considered a sister. I sure don't have interest in other females.”

Zarena, “Ah! That's a shame.” Immediately Zarena was made to giggle as she noted the look on Julia's face and felt a tingle in her skin. She knew that she had just been struck with a low level magic spell but had no doubt it was involuntary. “I'm sorry. I joke. I joke.”

Julia, “You worried me there for a moment. I thought you were interested in women to.”

Zarena, “I used to be. At times it was good to be with another sister so that you didn't have to worry about breaking her in half. It's not like the brothers were always available either and at times a girl just wants some companionship. Then again you did just say you wanted to be seen as a sister.”

Julia, “Okay! Ridon how goes the amulet?” At this point Julia wasn't even going to try to hide that she was changing the subject. She didn't know if Zarena was joking or not but given Zarena's size and power she wasn't going to risk it.

Ridon, “It feels like its trying to draw me back to the citadel.” As he spoke Ridon found himself looking into Zarena's stomach. The amulet truly felt like it wanted them to turn around.

Julia, “That is very strange. I don't remember any records of the magic within the citadel influencing spells that were cast outside of it. I wish the protectors had let us take the staff and other items with us.”

To this Ridon gave a nod. They had been so focused on their work that they had forgotten they would never get out the front door with the items. Fortunately with Zarena's power backing them he had no doubt they could handle whatever they found. “What do you have in mind?”

Julia, “I was thinking that I should increase the amulets power to help it cut through any mystic interference. I don't need any of those items to do so I just wanted to add some additional power to it.”

Zarena, “You're not going to ask me to cut myself again are you?”

Julia, “No. This work is a bit more delicate and adding too much power wouldn't improve the results.” As she spoke Julia was surprised by how steady Zarena was keeping her hand. This made it easy to walk over to Ridon. “Okay just hold onto the amulet and let me try this.”

Ridon, “I will.” Ridon felt a tingle as Julia began to work her magic. The first thing he noticed was a change in the amulet. It went from feeling as if Aphila was laying her hand in his and lightly pulling to as if she had suddenly grabbed his hand. The feeling was getting stronger and he could swear feeling her soft fur wrapping around his fingers. “She got me! She got me!” said Ridon excited as he felt Aphila’s fingers grabbing his hand, but then he worried as he was quite familiar with that kind of hold. “It's still taking me to the citadel! Aphila is going to drag me to the citadel!” Burst from Ridon as he felt like he may be suddenly pulled off Zarena's hand.

The surprise in Ridon's voice surprised even Julia and she immediately relaxed her efforts. “What's wrong Ridon?” When Ridon began breathing hard after his outburst Julia was even more surprised.

Ridon, “It felt like the amulet might drag me through the air at any second.” A sharp gasp escaped Ridon and he felt himself calming down.

Julia, “Oh. You and Aphila already share a powerful bond. If you couple that with the amulet it must be a very note worthy feeling already and then when I increased the power it must have been quite a pull. Actually it might have been more like a domination spell was at work upon you. I apologize Ridon I didn't fully consider how powerful the amulet would be on you.”

By now Ridon was calming down though he could still feel his heart pounding in his chest. “That's okay. Are you sure you're no longer under that needles influence though? You normally don't let things slip your mind like that and jumping to using necromancy like that right away. You're getting a little on the aggressive side Julia.”

Julia, “I well. There may be some residual influence but it shouldn't be anything long lasting.”

Zarena, “So what now? The amulet says go back towards the citadel.”

Julia, “Yes but I still want to wait until we're in the center of the market area.” It surprised Julia whenever she heard a slight giggle from Zarena. “What is it?”

Zarena, “We are in the middle of the market district. Do you want to see the hole I dug for the new dining hall?”

Being carried by a sleeper was a very unusual experience. They were so much larger and faster then other sisters that riding with them completely threw off your sense of distance and how long it would take to arrive somewhere. Julia was confident that this was more then far enough to insure the citadel wasn't influence the amulet though and Ridon was still saying go towards the citadel. “Okay let's head back to the citadel if you don't mind Zarena. This time I want to you walk past the citadel though and make sure we simply didn't head in the wrong direction.”

Zarena, “Sure but what happens if it leads you back to the citadel?”

To this question Julia looked over at Ridon. “In that case I become very surprised and Ridon and I begin walking around as much of the citadel as we can attempting to trace the source. This could turn into a very long term investigation though with our limited movements.”

***********************************************************************************

Ridon wasn't really certain what he should be thinking. At least they were inside in a comfortable environment but he also knew how limited their movements were going to be from this point on. It wasn't as if they could just go where they wanted to. “Julia what are we going to do now?”

No immediate response came from Julia. At least this explained why Aphila had felt like she was close. Whatever condition she was in she was currently housed within the citadel. “I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. There are so many things we don't know about this place and you can only begin to imagine what's kept within the restricted regions. What did you feel earlier whenever we were in the citadel?”

Ridon, “I felt like she was close but also like she was moving.” It was clear that Julia didn't like Ridon's answer as she looked at him. It was the truth though and he couldn't change that.

Julia, “We have no choice but to give pursuit in that case. Ridon where do you feel the presence now?”

Ridon, “It's back towards the sleeping area.”

Julia, “Then lead on.” As Julia walked behind Ridon she found her mind going over the possibilities. When they had found Aphila's spiritual self it didn't seem distressed. So whatever was going on it had agreed to it and hadn't began to reject the current situation. That was a good thing. She was confident that none of the brothers had used necromancy on Aphila but she knew necromancy had to have been used on her. Was there someone within the citadel they didn't know about? The thought wasn't very comforting.

At least Aphila seemed to be staying still now. As Ridon was walking through the hall he felt somewhat alarmed. He knew that they were going closer and closer to a closed off section. “Julia what do you think we should do if Aphila is in a restricted section?”

Julia, “In that event you're going to continue wearing the medallion and living within the citadel until you encounter her. We both still have responsibilities after all. I doubt this will be something we can push. Just remember as long as you can feel Aphila with that medallion she is still within reach.”

Ridon, “Do you believe she's alright?”

Julia, “The spiritual existence didn't seem distressed but that doesn't guarantee she is alright. Ridon you do know that even if we do find whatever is holding Aphila's spiritual existence it won't be the Aphila you remember right?”

Ridon, “It could still have her memories.”

Julia, “Ridon, you know how necromancy works.”

For a moment Ridon stopped and forced himself to nod. It was unlikely that Aphila would remember him or who she was. He didn't even know what kind of condition she would be in. “Are you sure that she has a new body now?”

Julia, “As far as I can tell yes but that doesn't mean it's a living body. It probably isn't.”

Ridon, “I know. I don't like to think about it but I know.” As he spoke Ridon continued to look forward and he wasn't surprised by what they came to. It seemed like every time they had an answer for the situation another problem would show up. Every time he felt relief he was given another reason to worry. Now he was looking at what appeared to be an open doorway but he recognized the markings as protective glyphs. That didn't stop him from reaching forward and trying to push his hand past the opening. Whenever it felt like he was pushing against something very solid he looked back at Julia. “Do you know if there is any locations that we can reach that extend past this point.”

Julia, “I'm afraid there isn't one that I know of.” This hadn't been what Julia had expected. She knew that they were plenty of things that could go wrong with necromancy especially when hunting for an exact spiritual being. She didn't expect this many complications that would still leave things open to success. “Okay Ridon, We're going to try to pursue the spiritual being whenever you feel it moving. Perhaps it'll come to us if we can't come to it.”

Ridon, “Okay but what are we going to do if we find whatever has Aphila?”

Julia, “That all depends on what we encounter.”

***********************************************************************************

Typically after a day of dedicated work Joseph felt like  he was helping people and this gave him some satisfaction. As he set looking towards the door he didn't get that feeling. They had began processing the sister's body and running different experiments. As he had watched her form changing from what appeared to be a sleeping sister to clearly a corpse he felt like he was doing something terrible. The others had been quiet most of the time and not really spoken about their work. He was certain that they felt the same way but he felt the worse of the bunch. He was glad that his heart still lightened when the door opened and Maria stepped in.

Maria, “My feet are going to fall off!” While normally very mobile to begin with Maria had spent the day investigating various locations for resources to rebuild the town. This had kept her busy running all over the forest. Even with the healing ability natural to all sister's she had pounded the day lights out of her feet and they were letting her know they didn't appreciate it. At least Joseph made her feel lighter on her feet as she walked over to him. “Well good evening handsome.”

Joseph, “Good evening to you as well beautiful. I take it you've had a productive day?” Joseph felt himself bounce lightly as Maria basically fell into the seat so that she was now across from him. He responded to this by setting up in order to better face her.

Maria, “Well I found a few spots that we could gather what we wanted. Then I come back and learn that may not be needed or as much may not be needed as apparently Zarena is going to see what she can dredge up from the ocean. I wish they could have shared that information with me before I came back.” As she spoke Maria began to change her position going from setting to laying her legs across the  couch and Joseph. She then gave her thighs a slight pat. “How about instead of setting there you lay across here.”

Joseph didn't need much prompting and placed his hands on top of Maria's legs. Fortunately she had left him enough wiggle room to begin climbing up and onto those legs. “Well I doubt Zarena can find everything you need in there. Perhaps stone but you're still going to need lumber for building.”

Maria, “That's true. Joseph if you don't mind would you do me a favor and not destroy your skin.” By now Joseph had managed to work his way out from under her legs and was making his way over them. It was tempting to wiggling her legs some to try to toss him off but there was one major reason Maria didn't. After running that much it also felt like her legs were going to give out especially now that they were going into rest mode.

Joseph, “What do you mean?”

Maria, “The soap you used to clean yourself off with after you were done working. You over used it. I appreciate that you were trying to keep the smell from influencing me but I'd rather you didn't go so rough on your body.” Reaching down Maria took hold of Joseph's shoulders in order to help guide him where she intended. She had already changed her mind about having him lay on her legs and instead had him settle against her body so that his head was just beneath her breast as she leaned backwards. “This is a nice way to relax.

Joseph could actually feel the bottom of Maria's breast just beginning to touch against his head. “I'll keep that in mind. I just wanted to make sure you couldn't smell what I was doing.”

Maria, “Don't worry about that Joseph. If you don't mind I'd like to hear a little about what you've learned today or what the evidence is pointing towards.”

Joseph, “It's the first day so we haven't learned anything very remarkable. They're a few compounds that appear in your bodies that I've never seen before and we really don't know what they do. We're trying to isolate those and then figure out what they do but there is a problem. Some of them begin to break down very rapidly whenever not in the presence of one another. We had a theory that if we exposed the compounds to the right energy source they wouldn't break down quite like that and had some early results with a few of them. It leads me to suspect that those compounds are magically attuned.”

Maria, “What do they do?”

Joseph, “We don't know yet. The easiest way to find out would be if we could just take a sister and destroy all the compounds in her body. However, that could easily end up killing her for crippling her for life for all we know. Okay that's a little bit about my day so tell me something that happened on your run.”

Maria, “Oh! Okay let's see here if I can think of anything that is worth mentioning. I found some trees that I believe we could harvest for lumber a bit past were the petal birds like to nest who were as ill tempered as always. I don't see why the rotten little things aren't call thorn birds. They were a lot of branches that looked like they'd be good for harvesting and I figure we can easily cut off the upper sections of the trees. They could afford to lose some height anyway.”

Joseph, “I didn't know you had petal birds in this forest. It's a good thing I didn't make it that far. I believe the people who named them that did so because they wanted the region to seem attractive to others. They are pretty after all they're just mean and swarm in numbers.”

Maria, “You're thinking of the petal birds that are outside the forest. These rotten little things have learned what plants they can eat to give them a poisonous peck without harming themselves. They even rub their beaks against certain leaves to build up a toxic residue. These things are pure meanness in a cute package.”

Joseph, “Is anything in this forest even remotely friendly other then you! Even a good deal of the plants can kill you without you eating them or touching them. The slumber flowers may be one of the worse but they're not the only.”

A sharp chuckle immediately escaped Maria as she noted the tone of Joseph's voice. She wasn't used to thinking of the forest as dangerous but it really was. At least it was to a human. “The orcs are quite friendly. I don't believe they'd kill you just because they found you in the forest.”

The truth of what Maria said instantly struck Joseph and he began to grin. “So are there any friendly bears or wyverns in this forest?”

Maria, “Well it all depends on how you treat them and what's happening but not all of them are aggressive. I'm sure you know how adaptable wyverns are as a species they're just about as adaptable as the kobolds and perhaps more so in some ways. We've encountered some that instead of aggressively eating meat they prefer some of the plants that have a good deal of mystic energy stored in them like well the slumber flower you mentioned. They seem to shy away from dense areas though I guess even they can get overwhelmed. There is also the lunar bears. I'm not sure what happened to them but I swear they look like they're radiating moon light at night during their mating season.”

Joseph, “Are you pulling my leg?”

Maria, “I'm being completely honest. You have to remember a lot of the plants that grow wild in this forest are fairly powerful alchemical reagents.”

Joseph, “This forest gets stranger the longer I live here.” As he was speaking Joseph spread his arms and began to press his fingers instead Maria's sides behind him. He felt her shift and a slight vibration coming from underneath him that said she was enjoying it. “So the things we'd expect to be sweet and innocent like birds and flowers will kill us while what we're used to thinking of as dangerous may not kill us but probably will.”

Maria, “That's about the size of it. I mean. Our sisters and I are considered the most dangerous thing in the forest but we're actually the most reasonable things here.”

Joseph, “I dunno about that. I haven't spoken with one of those lunar bears yet.” Immediately Joseph felt a light smack upon his face covering his mouth for but a moment. He knew that it was Maria's tell immediately. “And you say you're not a violent bunch.”

Maria, “Oh shush. Joseph my body is exhausted. Would you mind reading to me some?”

It was tempting for Joseph to say that his mind was exhausted after what he'd been doing the majority of the day. That was just sloth speaking though and he knew it. It didn't take much effort to read. “Okay what do you have in mind?”

Maria, “How about you read more about the theory of life magic and the connection between animals and plants? I was extremely interested in the section that talks about testing to see what happens to plants when you try spells meant to influence humans on them.”

Joseph, “What?” Joseph knew exactly what Maria was talking about and it was a book he had spoken to her about. However, this was far from romantic or relaxing reading and at the moment he didn't think his head could handle it. It was only whenever he noticed himself being shaken lightly that he realized the truth of the situation. “Very funny.”

Maria, “I couldn't help myself. You sound so exhausted. How about you read some more of the titans garden to me? I'm curious what she does to help alleviate the pain of isolation.” Maria relaxed her hold on Joseph so that he could stand up but continued to watch him as he walked over to the small collection of books they had gathered.

Joseph, “You know. If something were to happen that killed off all the sisters and brothers except for a single sleeper one of them could end up living this story.”

Maria, “Hm. I don't believe so. I know if I was in her situation I would just go to sleep and wait for my body to shrink. At least then I could try reaching out to other societies. I doubt I'd even worry about someone finding me while I was asleep and vulnerable. Given the situation it would be worth the risk.”

Joseph, “That is a fair point.” As he walked over to Maria and once again settled himself onto her stomach Joseph was careful about his positioning. If he so much as allowed Maria to glimpse the page she would instantly read it and any feeling of suspense would be taken away from that page. So long as he read the story to her though she had to take in the information at his pace and this gave her time to think about what he was reading to her. “Do you remember what page we were on?”

Maria, “I have no idea. I try not to even look at how thick the book is. If I did I'd probably end up telling myself that you're almost finished and rush through the rest of it.”

Joseph, “It's been a while since I was last able to read to you with everything that has happened. Okay I believe I have our page. We were just to the point that she realized that she couldn't hope to interact with human society right?”

Maria, “Yeah but the title sort of makes it obvious what she's going to do about that.”

Joseph, “Let's find out.”

Maria, “Hey have you been reading without me?”

Joseph, “No. Of course not.”

For a moment Maria just looked at Joseph. She had a feeling that he wasn't being entirely honest with her but he wasn't fibbing either. “You asked someone else who'd already read the book didn't you?”

***********************************************************************************

It probably wasn't the best idea in the world but Ridon had found it impossible to help. Julia and he hadn't been able to locate where the amulet was trying to pull them. The location was constantly moving and they were blocked by the protected passages constantly. He had chosen to hold onto the amulet even during the night though. It made him feel like some part of Aphila was laying with him and he could have sworn that he was laying atop her stomach and not a bed. It made it hard for him to wake up as he knew when he opened his eyes she wouldn't be there and the feeling wouldn't hold.

As he lay there though Ridon found awareness coming to him and with it something unexpected. There was a scent in the room that hadn't been there the previous night and it was very pleasant. This helped prompt him to open his eyes and see the surprise. Currently a tray holding a freshly cut peach, a bowl of oatmeal, two eggs and a small bowl of cherries was waiting for him. It was enough to cause him to set up in the bed and take a clover look. After the food one thing he noticed immediately was that the carrying tray was clearly made from some kind of stone and had the symbol of the Luvarian's marked on the side.

Julia, “Ridon are you awake?”

The voice of Julia made Ridon jump slightly but he turned to the door. “Yes come on in. It isn't locked.”

Opening the door Julia immediately went to look around and right away she took note of the food that was set out for him. “Huh, well aren't you mister special. I only received half a peach and no cherries.”

Ridon, “You mean you had a plate of food waiting for you as well?”

Julia, “Several of us did though with different servings. A few of them are actually quite angry after only receiving half a loaf of bread. Then of course there are those who didn't receive anything. I wonder what made you so special though and let's see what you have to drink.” As she spoke Julia stepped further into Ridon's room and took hold of the cup. Instantly she knew it was special because a small lid covered the top preventing contamination and keeping the drinks either hot or cold. When she opened it she realized that it was hot but wasn't certain of what it was.

Ridon, “What is it?” Julia's first response wasn't to answer him but was to thrust the drink towards him letting him see inside and smell it.

Julia, “I don't know but I smell spices. Drink it and tell me what it is.”

Ridon, “Are you sure it's safe?” Even as he was asking Ridon carefully took the drink from Julia.

Julia, “Well no one has suffered any ill affects yet and Vera couldn't smell any taint on the drinks.” It seemed that was enough for Ridon as he began to lightly sip the drunk. “So what is it.”

Ridon, “Very tasty. I have no idea what it is called though. It's my first time trying one. Do you want a sip?”

Julia, “No thank you. Well eat your breakfast and then come join us in the apprentice research section. You and I have a great deal of work to do.”

Ridon, “Are we looking for Aphila again?” Immediately Ridon felt his heart sink as he noted the look Julia gave him. “I guess we're not.”

Julia, “Ridon if you want you can spend your day following the amulet. After all. Surely Aphila will enter into the sections we can reach eventually. However, we can't afford for both of us to be pursuing her especially given the situation we're in.”

Ridon, “Does that mean you're going to further the examination of Aphila's body?”

Julia, “Yes that is my intentions.”

Ridon, “I understand.” As he spoke Ridon chose to divert his gaze to the plate of food waiting for him. He knew they were going to end up talking about that as well. He probably wouldn't be there for the conversation as he intended to spend his time trying to reach Aphila.

***********************************************************************************

Lestel, “Are you okay Alaina? You appear to be excited.” As she spoke Lestel approached her fellow protector placing a hand upon her shoulder. The fact that Alaina didn't pull away was reassuring but she was still worried. “You have been dead for a very long time. Perhaps you're having trouble adjusting to the new life within you.”

At first Alaina said nothing. She could remember Lestel and knew from those memories that she was a kind protector that could be trusted. She was even one of the most active in helping the apprentices both before and after they went silent. Yet she hadn't reformed the trusting feelings that she once had for her. It would take some time for those to develop after all. She wasn't dealing with the Lestel she remembered even though they were very similar. “I am doing alright. I brought the apprentices their meals. Well those of them who earned it. When do you think they'll move to deal with the disfavored apprentice?”

Lestel, “I don't know. The apprentices are so busy now trying to relearn the knowledge of the masters. It's unfortunate that they haven't learned that the fastest way to relearn what the masters knew is to make their own creations. Just studying the past works will not teach them what they truly need to know and there is more then enough knowledge to begin creating in the library.”

Alaina, “Well. They're trying to perfect one of the master's works after all not trying to create their own works.”

Lestel, “Yes and that's why they're still apprentices despite their ability. Enough about that though. We all felt you bringing that one apprentice an extra treat. You even took the time to cut his fruit for him and provide extra sweetening.” Lestel could feel Alaina's shock and knew that she was feeling embarrassed. This actually brought a slight giggle from her. “Do you believe that we have another Azon?”

Alaina, “I wouldn't say that. You would have brought him his food if that was the case given how close you were to him. In fact. As I recall you died shortly after Azon did.”

To this Lestel gave a nod. “Yes. There is a fourteen year gap in my memory whenever I was dead. You're right he doesn't have Azon's crazy recklessness. If he was Azon he would already be trying to reach through the amulet and touch the very spiritual being of the person he was after to communicate. It's easier on my heart that he isn't quite that crazy.”

Alaina, “Mine as well. Lestel does the you that's here now agree with the silence?”

A sigh escaped Lestel as she shook her head. “No. I would prefer if we could speak with them and just give them a smack whenever they started being stupid. I know some would require more pain then the others to learn but it seems a more effective method of teaching to me.”

Alaina, “I can feel some of those who agree with us. I believe the time is coming whenever we'll be able to speak again one way or another. This generation has been very clever though haven't they? In the way they tried to restore their friend, the creation of a new energy system, the return to the citadel and the spirit hunters reformation. They're a very progressive bunch.”

Lestel, “Well that spirit did frighten them a great deal. They were on this path before but I believe it moved them along. I normally wouldn't approve of their relationship with the orcs but given the situation I agree with its formation. Besides those orcs are clearly accidental products of the master's work so I can understand bringing them in.”

Alaina, “It's a shame that the creators aren't around anymore. They would have loved to see how their creation of the forest has given birth to other creations as well. It is nice that not all of their work ended with them. Do you believe that they are other works that we haven't heard of yet?”

Lestel, “I believe there would have to be. I'm sure some of their creations have taken on new rolls or simply remain sleeping. I wonder what we're going to do whenever the master works we have stored here begin to wake up. You know that it's going to happen in time. Then we're going to see if the master's were right to fear waking them up or if they should have been woken up long ago. In either case I hope that we're ready for it.”

***********************************************************************************

Kelah had been told stories of the sleepers from Kersara. She had heard how massive they were. However, despite what she had been told and heard she hadn't been prepared for how truly massive these beings where. Now she found herself looking up at the towering being and knew that she had been seen as Zarena's eyes looked straits at her. Kersara had seemed powerful in her own right but this being was on an entirely different level. The fact that she could feel every foot step Zarena took was a bit hard to take in.

It was rare that Zarena saw something that wasn't a sister, brother, food or in need of killing. She had heard how the orcs aided the sisters during the conflict on the beach and was eager to greet them. “Hello there. You must be the orcs that aided my sisters and brothers during the conflict with the kobolds. It is nice to meet you.”

At least she remembered who they were. This brought a smile to Kelah's face. “You must be Zarena. Kersara told us a bit about you but I must say you look a bit bigger in person.” A slight chuckle came from Zarena and she stopped moving towards them and instead began to lower herself into a crouched position. The change in height didn't mean a change in size but it helped Kelah to relax for some reason and that helped the other orcs to do so as well.

Zarena, “I've been told as much before. You look to be going to the beach as well but why isn't Kersara with you? From the talk back at the village I thought she was helping you to move as part of repayment for helping us during the conflict.”

To this Kelah gave a quick nod. “She was suppose to but my father rushed us out of the camp sooner then expected as well. I do not know why he's being so aggressive about us preparing the new settlement as soon as possible but he's being a pushy old orc.”

Zarena, “Do you think it might be because he feels a seasonal change coming? It could also be he fears gathering gains will decrease due to the influence of the Amalgam and believes the town has to be made self sufficient now or any further work will have to wait several months.”

This wasn't what Kelah had been expecting. She knew they were on good terms with the beast people and their humans. She hadn't expected that would mean meeting one of their sleepers though and she didn't expect their sleepers to be so friendly. The unstoppable death machine wasn't just talking to them but apparently was considering what they said and knew something about them. “It sounds like you know the old orc.”

Zarena, “Nathan fought alongside him and of course I had Nathan tell me the entire story after the fighting was over. Nathan is my.” For a moment Zarena found the words escaping her. She wanted to say that Nathan was her mate but that wasn't fitting to the situation. Until she knew if she was going to have to sleep again she couldn't call Nathan her mate. She didn't want to bind him like that. “Nathan is my very precious friend.”

Kelah, “I see. So are you out here retrieving something for him?”

Zarena, “It's more like I'm hunting for something the community can use. Now I want to make sure. You're going to the beach right now aren't you?”

Kelah, “Indeed.”

Zarena, “There doesn't seem to be a great many of you. If some of you would be willing to ride my shoulders I could give you a lift to shorten the journey.”

Zarena was most assuredly nicer then what Kelah would have expected. It made sense when she considered it. Who would want a mean spirited bitch having the kind of power Zarena's size granted her. It would also shorten their trip a great deal. The only issue Zarena could think of was the tuskers. “Well do you think you could keep me with the big tusker there and keep the other tuskers with him?”

Zarena, “That shouldn't be a problem. Here just guide them into my hand.” As she spoke Zarena lowered her right hand for the orcs to direct the tuskers into. She would need to keep one hand free in case there was something to move or in the event someone fell but as long as they made use of her shoulders she felt confident she could carry the entire group and only have to dedicate one hand to their transport.

During the conversation Dinon had been silent not being certain what to say. He wondered if that was a good idea as Kelah had already agreed that they would all receive a ride from the massive beast woman. He was a bit worried but pushed these fears aside with a simple thought. If this massive being meant them harm they would be in her stomach or under her feet within moments if they accepted the ride or not. “So you heard about our fight from Kersara?”

Zarena, “A lot of us did. When we learned that such a serious battle had broken out on the beach the keepers just about went into a panic. You should have seen Stella fussing over her son Allen. As soon as she was certain there was no physical damage she went strait to checking if there was mental damage. It was wonderful watching her show her son such love but I was a little worried she might cause some damage herself.”

Dinon, “I remember Allen. He actually ended up taking up a bow in order to help defend our position. He's quite a brave young fellow. I know many his age would have chosen to remain hidden and let others handle the fighting.”

Zarena, “I heard about that to! I normally wouldn't allow a brother to fight at his age but given his age that really was the best choice. Did you see if he managed to hit anything?”

Dinon, “He fit a few of the sea kobolds I know that for sure. He was also careful to shoot well above everyone else so that he didn't hit any of my people or your people. He slowed down only to be told to keep firing and not worry about running out of arrows in this situation.”

Zarena, “Which means that there were so many kobolds that he could fire blind and still hit one.” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as she noticed the look of shock on Dinon's face. “I know you were leaving that part out intentionally. From what I know of him Allen is a sweet child but his experience with a bow and in combat are both quite limited if I'm not mistaken. He most likely used one while playing with his sisters but I doubt it was frequent enough to develop a solid aim given his mother's protective nature.”

Dinon, “Well yes there was a very large cluster of sea kobolds to shoot into.”

Kelah, “It was also very nice of him. Even if he couldn't do much to help us knowing that everyone was doing their part really helped encourage the rest. The wolf inside of me included.”

Zarena, “Oh yes! You're a shaman that has a contract with Night Fang. I remember whenever the spirit hunters spoke of their first encounter with that wolf spirit. He was considered a powerful spirit even then but it sounds like he has grown quite a bit stronger since my time. The spirit hunters considered him a favorable spirit to hold influence over the wolves in the forest as he focus more on the pack aspect of the wolves and less on their more destructive traits. He brought about smarter wolves instead of more viscous.”

Kelah, “You mean he had competition?”

Zarena, “Oh yes indeed. The spirit hunters had been actively seeking two other wolf spirits with the intention of destroying them. They tended to make the wolves more violent. Smart wolves are in some ways more dangerous of course but smart wolves also know what areas to avoid and who to avoid. Is everyone holding on okay? I'm not moving too fast for you?

Kelah waited to say anything as several orcs called out their comfort. She was busy watching the tuskers and warning them to stay seated. So far they were listening to her but it was clear they weren't fond of being carried by such a large predator. Razor wasn't particularly happy but had settled in next to her. He seemed to sense that she was relaxed and that made him more relaxed which made all the tuskers more relaxed if not as relaxed as him. “I wonder if they had any dirt on Night Fang I could use to make him give me more power.”

At first Zarena said nothing but then an amused chuckle escaped her. “Oh that is naughty! Well I remember them talking about spiritual contracts. From the way Kersara talked though you and Night Fang had a friendly contract.”

Kelah, “We do. So long as I don't show any weakness that wouldn't be fitting of an alpha wolf” As she spoke Kelah lightly scratched Razor's head while feeding him some leaves from her bag. “Naturally I must look for his weakness as well as a respected Alpha. Oh who is a good tuske,who is a good tusker.”  Kelah made it a point to increase the vigor with which she scratched Razor's head while the tusker made a move to snack the small satchel she was feeding him from away.

Chapter 33 by happiest_in_shadows

As she watched Kelah dealing with the tusker Zarena was made to chuckle. It brought back memories of whenever the sisters had their pets. “I wonder. Kelah those tuskers of yours seem suited for combat. Do you have any that are better trained to be companions and not so aggressive?”

For a moment Kelah went silent. She knew a few that weren't very aggressive unless the pack became aggressive. Yet they weren't trained to be that way. “We don't have any that are trained. But they are a few that only become aggressive whenever they're encouraged by the group. Typically these tuskers are used to train new tusker trainers who would provoke one that is more ill tempered.”

Zarena, “Like your Razoer there?”

Instead of responding right away Kelah gave Razor a viperous rub on the head bringing on several short happy grunts. “By the spirits yes! The only time Razor is tasked to help these days is if someone is being arrogant and they need taught a lesson. His first trainer and I am are the only two that have been able to earn Razor's respect.

Zarena, “You had to prove you were too powerful for him to defeat didn't you?”

Kelah, “Yes and it was hard. Every day for over a month Razor would challenge me for a leadership position and I had to take him down each time. However, I had to do so in a way that wouldn't permanently damage him. He apparently believed that he would either be the leader or die fighting. I had to prove to him that I was strong enough to keep him from taking the leadership position from me and avoid killing him. It was all worth it though.”

Zarena, “My you are a stubborn boy Razor. I've known some wyverns that took some teaching to convince them to behave but you sound even worse.”  As she finished speaking Zarena looked down at the tusker and gave him a grin. He was smart. He seemed to realize she was speaking in a friendly way to her and responded with a light snort of his own.

Kelah, “You're a natural Zarena. Given your size I thought there was no way Razor would truly become comfortable with you.”

Zarena, “Thanks. It's been so long I kind of want to pet him.”

This was becoming strange fast. As she looked up at Zarena's face Kelah remembered that she was setting in Zarena's hand. Yet Zarena gave of a presence of comfort that after talking to her made it hard not to relax. She had said it earlier. You don't pick a bitch to have this kind of power but did Zarena have a mean bone in her body? “Wow. I'm used to you beast girls only seeing animals as food and never as companions.”

Zarena, “That's more recent then historical. I'm happy to eat meat and love fresh meat but I also love well behaved companions.”

To this Kelah gave a nod and turned her attention away from Zarena for a moment and towards her shoulder. She could see Dinon looking around and wondered why he hadn't joined their conversation. Several of the orcs had began having their own little conversations but he was entirely focused in the distance. It made her look behind her and take note of some of the trees as they passed them by. One thing that became clear right away was they were moving fast. “Wow. So is this as fast as you normally walk?”

Zarena, “Well this is as fast as I normally walk to get where I'm going but not to leave a vast path of destruction behind me. I'm pretty heavy so anything I step on seems to be pretty darn flat. If I step down at full speed though it doesn't just destroy what's beneath my feet. The debris that I end up kicking up destroys things pretty far to the side of my foot steps as well. Plus well my feet sink even deeper if I don't step down carefully.”

Kelah, “Huh. Perhaps I could convince you to walk between the beach and my village a few times so that we have a nice clear path to follow.”

Zarena, “Well. I don't know about that one. I guess supplies are going to be moving between the two villages one way or another. It would make things easier for you and us in the long run given that I expect we'll be trading more freely soon. But is it better for the forest if there is one clear path that everyone uses or is it better to deal with the rough landscape?”

Kelah, “Well you don't intend on staying in your village all the time. Think about how much damage you're going to cause just on your return trip. If you use the same path each time you limit that damage to a small area and you provide a good path for others to use. On top of that. Even whenever we travel between the two sites we're going to have to make camp and hunt several times. The faster we can make the trip the fewer stops we need to make. It also means we can carry more goods between the two settlements and less supplies.”

For a moment Zarena was silent before giving a slight nod. She could understand what Kelah was saying and it made sense. Surely one well made solid path would be better then dozens of less defined and far slower paths. “Well I do plan to use the same path on my return trip at the very least. I'll consider smoothing out the path even more once I've had a chance to speak with the others about it. Then again after my second trip alone it'll probably be well defined. I'm hoping to be packing some supplies with me after all and well. Would you like to see what my barely loaded foot steps have done.”

Kelah, “Sure.” Kelah could feel it whenever Zarena began to slow down. She didn't just stop like a person that had just been walking. Instead Zarena took on a slower pace and then a slower one still bringing down the rate at which they slowed down. It seemed this was done to avoid throwing them all from her body as Kelah could still feel the influence in the change of speed. “Okay that feels very strange.”

Zarena, “Every sister learns the importance of slowing down slowly when packing someone else at a young age. At my size it becomes even more so. Now.” Standing at a full stop Zarena turned and looked down towards her foot prints. The path wasn't perfectly smooth as she wasn't walking hill to toe but rather there was a massive line of craters from where her feet had sunken into the ground crushing through dirt, stone, roots and anything else that had been caught under her feet.

Kelah, “So you've given up on any notion of stealth right?” 

Zarena, “Hey! I'd like to see you be as stealthy as I am at my size. I bet I could have three times your mass and still sneak up on you.” As she spoke Zarena couldn't help the grin on her face. She had indeed given up on being stealthy long ago. Yet she hadn't given up on the skills. The ability to step quietly and gently was very important whenever you stood over a hundred meters tall. It was nice having someone to chat with on her walk though.

Kelah, “It's a shame we can't test that or I would accept your challenge. I'm not quite sure what I'd do at your size though. So did you plan this path whenever you decided to go to the ocean?”

Zarena, “Yes. Well sort of. I'm not sure if you noticed but the path you were using is the same one that I made the last time I woke up. It is remarkable how good of a job the forest does of healing its scars but I could still see where the old path was from my perspective.”

Kelah, “Are you serious?”

Zarena, “Yes I am. I'm pretty sure other sleepers have used the same path as well. Depending on how long I stay awake I could end up using the path a lot more this time. I'll be sure to speak with my brothers and sisters upon my return and see what they think about making a long lasting path for everyone to use.”

***********************************************************************************

Dominic, “Carter, Mirin. What brings the two of you here?” Currently Dominic was setting in the apprentice dining hall of the citadel. It was actually nice to have a place to eat where he could have some company but not be overshadowed by his massive sisters. That feeling had faded whenever the two brothers had walked over to him looking rather serious. He hadn't been chosen to work on the corpse of the sister's and wasn't one of the people training to become a spirit hunter. So he was taking it easy until a task was found for him. Did  they feel like he was slacking and had come to scold him? It seemed likely from the way they were looking at him. This brought a mental sigh from him but not much concern.

Mirin, “Dominic you're going to come with us. We need to speak to you about Cita and Azala. We've learned that you were heavily involved with both of the sisters.”

Dominic, “Yes but there is nothing unusual about that. We're expected to make ourselves available for several sisters after all.”

Carter, “We're not having this discussion here. Come along now.” Carter and several of the others had pushed hard to finish up their work for the day. Thankfully Julia had been around to help several groups finish early so they weren't entirely exhausted. Now it was time to deal with Dominic and resolve what should be done about his manipulations.

Dominic, “Hey now. You're acting like you believe I had something to do with their deaths. I would have never hurt either of them or any of our sisters.”

Mirin, “Shut up and get moving before I drag you there.” As he spoke Mirin couldn't help the venom that came out in his voice. It was one thing to share yourself with several sisters. That was accepted. It was another thing to lie to them or manipulate their feelings. He had been rather stunned whenever Vera had told him what Julia had said and even more stunned when he spoke to Julia about it. Now they were going to give Dominic a chance to explain himself before they considered what they should do. He was already furious with him but would have to control such thoughts.

Now Dominic was standing. He had no miss understandings about the nature of this visit now. He was actually a little worried. He had known his relationship with Cita and Azala would have to end eventually but he had planned to end it on his terms. Whichever one obtained guardian status first he would devote himself to. The guardian would consider the others claims lies and they perhaps would have some kind of fight but he was certain that he could insure they blamed one another and not him. The fact that they had achieved guardian rank at the same time had complicated these plans. It had seemed like their deaths would solve his problem but apparently it hadn't. “Okay. Let's go speak to them then.”

***********************************************************************************

Currently a group of several brothers found themselves setting in a large meeting room. It was clear the room had been meant for discussion as both the table and walls had been designed to allow each person's voice to carry effectively throughout the room. No one set at the head of the table as there was none to speak of and the walls didn't leave any corners to mention either. Yet Dominic knew he was the center of attention.

Nathan, “Welcome Dominic. From the look on your face I take it that Mirin mentioned what this was about.”

Dominic, “Yes. Apparently Julia picked through Cita and Azala's memories and there has been some kind of confusion. I hope we can clear that up.”

Nathan, “So do I. As we all know it's not unusual for a brother to sleep with more then one sister. We also know that it's accepted for a sister to sleep with more then one brother. That isn't what we're calling into question here. We also know that private matters between brothers and sisters are just that. Yet there is a complication. We have always functioned as a society founded upon trust in which debts are repaid by favors and at times barter rather then currency. We  must maintain the trust of our sisters if we are to function and so I must ask. What do you have to add to these memories before we tell our sisters of Julia's findings? What could possibly justify such deception?”

It was clear the question had been attacks on him and already Dominic was rather alarmed. He knew the stories. Brothers had in the past been killed whenever they had sworn their love and their life to a sister only to be found to be manipulating her or losing interest. It had resulted in a few deaths as even three seconds with an enraged sister was enough to kill you. Even if they didn't kill him if the truth of what happened was revealed it could spell the end for him. “I don't believe it's their business to know my private dealings.”

Carter, “They've been wanting to know how those two sisters ended up dieing. We know that the reason they died was on top of fighting the enemy they were fighting with one another. However, the sisters will also want to know why they were fighting one another. I believe they have the right to know that the reason they were fighting was because you promised both of them that you would become their mate and just needed a little more time to insure that the other wasn't hurt. After all you had been seeing one another for a long time and wanted to let them down gently.”

Julia, “Aren't we forgetting something else? Just as our sisters must be able to trust us I believe we must be able to trust one another. Dominic having seen the memories of the fallen sisters I don't believe I can ever trust you again. The way you manipulated them for sexual pleasure was quite upsetting and I considered finding you myself before speaking to the others and casting agony on you.”

This wasn't going the way that Dominic had imagined it would. Not only did he have to worry about the sisters but he had to worry about the brothers as well. “Aren't you all just blaming me for their deaths? What would you have done if you had learned of my relationships but they were still alive? The only reason this is even necessary is because they died.”

Mirin, “Naturally. If they were still alive they would have most likely been the ones being questioned for killing you. Unfortunately they're not around for that to happen anymore. Even if they hadn't killed you they would have been the ones to speak the truth. At which point you would have remained quiet and let the truth be known or you would have tried to deny it and we would have had a similar inquiry. Dominic we can't have distrusted brothers holding a full hand and they most assuredly can't be allowed any of their claws.”

A distrusted brother? The thought hadn't occurred to Dominic that this is how they saw him. Did that mean they were going to start treating him like the sisters treated the distrusted? Mirin had even mentioned not allowing him a full hand or in other words not even allowing him to be considered a full brother. It was a rank that he had been born into their society with.”You can't be serious! I'm not some worthless distrusted that never contributes!”

Julia, “Even the distrusted contribute. They work just enough to be allowed to stay and keep to their own otherwise. I've been considering my own memories, the memories from the dead and the books and Dominic I have to say. Your contribution isn't really anything worth speaking of. I know claimed that are more productive then you and could easily replace you.”

Another attack on his person? This was becoming upsetting. As Dominic looked at Julia he wanted to call her necromancy into question but knew that wouldn't work. Her power was too well established for someone like him who had no real experience in necromancy to accuse her. He was confident that had the two of them lived or only one of them he could have convinced them to keep this quiet because he truly loved her. Without the trust they gave him it was proving more difficult. “What would you do if they were still alive? Even with their deaths I am only responsible for deceiving them. You can't hold me accountable for them failing to manage themselves.”

Nathan, “Indeed but none of us can trust you having learned of the deception. Trust is required for you to be one of us. If we actually were holding you entirely responsible for their deaths then the talk would be should we kill you or not. Now Dominic can you give us a reason to trust you or even to protect you from our sisters once we tell them the truth?”

Dominic, “They'll kill me. Some of them will hold me responsible for what happened and they'll kill me for it. Even if they don't kill me though how am I suppose to survive without the aid of the sisters?  They assist us in nearly everything. If they as a group become too disgusted with me to lend me that aid I won't even be able to survive.”

Nathan, “It will be an ordeal for a brother to survive without the love of our sisters. When you choose to destroy their trust though this is what happens.”

It was clear to Mirin that Dominic wasn't liking the way this meeting was going. He was rather glad to see that considering his actions. He doubted that he was considering his options though. “Dominic as far as I see your situation you have three real choices. The first choice you can make is an act of penance in which you will reject your old life and begin anew as one of the claimed as a person who lost his life. This would likely still be unpleasant with the hostile feelings the sisters will have towards you but I am sure there are a few keepers that would be willing to treat you as a new claimed. The second option you could try to live as a distrusted brother. Given that we rely on our sisters to hunt and even help transport us I don't know how long you'll survive as this. The third option is you could kill yourself to which I am willing to offer some assistance.” As he spoke Mirin produced a small white tablet from inside his pocket and set it on the table before him. “This is something I had Julia help me prepare before this meeting and should you take it will appease our sister's in this decision.”

Dominic, “What are you fucking talking about? If I was going to end my life I could just as well do it without your damn tablet.”

Julia, “I won't let you.”

Dominic, “What?”

Julia, “Whoops. I meant we won't let you. If we were to let you kill yourself without the use of this pill before you were made to confront the sisters then it wouldn't be enough to appease them. Mirin did however leave out one of your choices though it's very similar to the second one. You can leave the citadel and I can present the sisters with my findings. Then we'll just see what happens. However, even if that is your choice I believe we should strip you of your rank as a brother.”

Dominic, “And I believe you should shut the fuck up you useless cun.” A sharp gasp escaped Domonic as he felt something slam solidly into his chest. Reflexively he tightened up his muscles and tried to push back whatever had struck him. It responded by pushing harder into him and before he could think further he found himself no longer able to see anything before him. A searing pain radiated out from his chest and held his every muscle except his heart and lunges still.

Nathan took a moment to look at Julia. He had recognized the spell as the necromancer's version of the spell agony. It was a nasty spell that made the victim feel as if their every organ and muscle had suddenly decided to fail them. “Julia what was the meaning of your actions?”

Julia, “I apologize if my actions seemed rash. Due to his excitable behavior and skill as a mage I was afraid that he meant to go on the offensive. I felt the need to defend myself as well as everyone in this room.”

To this Nathan gave a nod. “In that case. Next time how about using a defensive spell to protect us rather then an offensive? It's that type of behavior that insures we have to have these meetings away from the other sisters except for a few.” For a moment Nathan held his tongue and noted a rather annoyed look on Julia's face. It truly felt like he was staring down an angry sister whenever she finally gave a slight not and seemed to sink back into her seat.  “I agree with Julia though. I could no longer trust Dominic as a brother and believe he should be stripped of his status. I believe that we should confirm this decision now before we continue.”

***********************************************************************************

Alaina, “Oh! What is taking them so long to make this decision official?” As she spoke Alaina looked to Lestel though she wasn't expecting an answer she was however expected a comment.

Lestel, “Well they are just senior apprentices and apprentices in there. If a ranking Luvarian was around I'm sure it would have been resolved already.” For a moment Lestel went silent. What would have happened if an apprentice had manipulated two of the constructs for sex? Immediately she resolved this depended on what type of construct they were dealing with. The sisters were high independence models by design as the Luvarians didn't want to have to instruct them how to handle every little issue. Sacrificing an apprentice wouldn't have been considered a big deal either.

Alaina, “I suppose. They did give him some decent choices as well. None of them mentioned the instability of the two Faelom that I consider a little strange. Don't you believe no wait. I was going to say that him revealing the instability of two Faelom would have been a good thing. However, Faelom are preconditioned to trust Luvarians even the apprentices. If they were to fault the instability of the Faelom they would also have to fault the preconditioned trust that was built into them.”

It was nice to see that Alaina was thinking like her old self for the most part. “That's true. On a more amusing subject what have you decided to do about Ridon? You know he's still looking for you. Well of course you know. You're interacting with the citadel to watch him now.”

A sigh escaped Alaina. “I feel for him. He lost someone very close to him due to violence and now he knows that I'm here. If it wasn't for me then he would have most likely succeeded in regaining her spiritual self so I feel partly at fault. He's determined which is nice and I believe he's cute as well. A little slow on the uptake and emotional but that's fine for someone of his age. I would present myself to him but I'm sure he would demand an answer from me.”

For a moment Lestel was silent. She could feel a buzzing in her head as the other protectors, the citadel itself and a few other beings emotions all bounced around at once. She could feel emotions both conflicting and agreeing hitting her. It was clear Alaina was feeling the same thing as the others responded to the conversation. “Ouch! This talk makes our heads hurt.” The thoughts of a protector were mostly a private matter but their emotions were a bit different. They tended to be too vocal to silence. Their conversations however had to be done in a certain way to be private and Lestel and Alaina had been speaking openly.

Alaina, “Well that's about how I've been feeling about him for a while now.”

Lestel, “Why don't you just take him off somewhere and speak to him then kill him if he seems like he's going to tell the others too much. That did not feel good.” Even as she was speaking Lestel could once again feel the others respond. The mixture of emotions she felt told her that their thoughts on this matter were far from absolute but how strongly any agreed or disagreed and with what parts she wasn't entirely certain of.

Alaina, “I don't want to put myself in a position where I may have to murder him.” Alaina's words brought a more peaceful feeling then Lestel's did. It was clear many agreed strongly with this thought and was happy with her decision. There was still some conflict though as many seemed to have an uncertain feeling about the entire situation.

Lestel, “Well that isn't the only choices. You could put an amulet of memory locking upon him then speak with him. That insures that if he couldn't be trusted with the knowledge you wouldn't have to kill him. You'd just need to remove the amulet and the problem would be taken care of.”

Alaina, “That is a good idea! Why didn't you do that with Azon?”

Lestel, “Because once he learned what the amulet did he would have fused the metal together to insure that I couldn't take it off of him. Well that was my theory at the time at least and now that I think about  it I'm pretty sure I was right.”

***********************************************************************************

It was nice to be ahead of schedule. As Kelah took in the salt air though she wasn't sure what to do about being this far ahead of schedule. Part of her had hoped that Kersara would be able to catch up to them before they arrived at the shore. Thanks to Zarena that wouldn't be happening and now she was forced to consider her options. Zarena had been kind enough to put her and the tuskers down first who were extremely eager to be back on the ground at first. Now they all just seemed angry. She was pretty sure it was because they didn't like the feeling of sand anymore then Razor. “Zarena I don't suppose you could help us with another problem.”

Currently Zarena was waiting for those on her left shoulder to move to her hand. It would have been easier to just pluck them from her shoulder but this felt more respectful. “What is it Kelah?”

Kelah, “I was hoping to be overtaken by Kersara or find her here upon our arrival. Thanks to you though I'm pretty sure we're far ahead of her so I wanted to ask. Is there any particular location your people had planned for us to build our village.”

By now those on her left shoulder had progressed to her hand and Zarena lowered it to the ground in order to wait for them to climb off. Their equipment was slowing them down a bit but she had no trouble maintaining her pose. “Well that would be silly. Our information about the water around here and what's suitable for a habitable village is extremely limited. Oh but that's silly to. I think we just assumed that you would know where to build.” As she spoke Zarena could see that Kelah was grinning. Apparently she liked this response.

Kelah, “Well. We don't know from our own experience but we can speak with the spirits and get an idea of where to build from them. We're going to need a location that's reasonably easy to protect from high waters but also allows easy access for launching ships. So you don't believe they'd mind if we went ahead and began working.”

Zarena, “Kelah your people helped save the entire forest. If it hadn't been for the presence of the orcs both on the water front and at the Amalgam's domain we would have suffered far more losses. We agreed that you could have your village and a population increase. We don't have any grounds to start complaining about where you want to build your village so long as it's on the water front.”

As Dinon climbed into Zarena's hand from her right shoulder he was surprised when his legs felt a bit wobbly. It was no surprise the others were having trouble standing. They had been setting on Zarena's shoulders and her warmth had slowly been sinking into her legs. The light vibration they felt with each step actually became rather comforting once they became used to it. Now it was time to worry though. They had made good time but that meant Kelah would expect more work from them. What would she be planning now?

Kelah, “Dinon what is that look for?” While she had been speaking with Zarena Kelah had noticed the look Dinon was giving her. It was a look that told her he was worried about something. Given how it was focused on her it was probably something she was doing.

Dinon, “I was just wondering what punishment we might have to endure for arriving early.”

Zarena, “Huh?”

A sigh escaped Kelah though she did grin. “Dinon and it looks like several of the others are just being lazy. Being ahead of schedule doesn't mean you have time to rest it means if you continue to work at a healthy pace you have time for some accidents. Anyway, Zarena it sounded like you have some heavy lifting planned. Where should we move so that we won't be in your way?”

Zarena, “Oh don't worry about that. I'm a lot stronger then I look and I don't intend to pick up anything that's too awkwardly shaped without trimming it a bit. I do need to begin my own search of course. Hey as I'm going to be in the water what kind of situations would you prefer in the water for your new village?”

Kelah, “I honestly have no idea. I guess devoid of large stones or other debris that we might catch our nets on or scrape the bottom of our ships on if the water was to become too low. Yeah, A nice deep area sounds nice but one that's also close to shore.”

Zarena, “Okay. Deep but also close to shore. You know I bet I could make you a spot like that by doing some digging around. I might as well make use of this big body of mine for something. You just find a nice spot land wise and I'll help make it nice aquatic wise.”

For a moment Kelah said nothing but looked at Zarena. Given her massive scale it was clear that she could indeed dig quite a trench if she wanted to. She tended to create them just by walking. “There is a problem with that. A naturally occurring deep spot is maintained by the water and its flow. An unnatural one may be destroyed by that same flow or would have to be maintained by you.”

Zarena, “That is a good point. Okay. So what are you looking for as far as deep goes? Perhaps half way up to my knee or maybe all the way up to my knee?” As she spoke Zarena used  her right hand to mark a spot she considered about halfway up her leg between her knee and foot.

Kelah, “I would say any spot where the water is both close to shore and reaches halfway between your foot and knee should be fine.” Kelah tried to tell her body to relax as Zarena gave a nod and began to stand back up. She could still feel the power of Zarena's foot steps in her bones and had to fight the urge to brace herself. It was strange. She had been so comfortable being carried in Zarena's hand and spoken to. Apparently her fear instinct hadn't adapted to looking up to her full towering size yet despite that and feeling the forces she created whenever she walked only served to remind Kelah's body of how big Zarena was.

Dinon, “Well she seems like a kind person..”

Kelah, “Indeed. I guess you don't want to give an unkind person that kind of power.”

Dinon, “Indeed. It only reminds me how foolish we were to let you have those axes.”  A sharp smack hit Dinon on the back of his head and his ears as did a sharp pain. He knew immediately that Kelah had given him a little hit for what he said. “Why must we serve such a brutal woman!”

Even as Zarena was walking away she could hear the exchange between Dinon and Kelah. It was very hard not to begin openly laughing as she listened to the two of them.

***********************************************************************************

Julia actually found herself taking in a deep breath and was grateful for Nathan's hand coming to rest upon her shoulder. As upset as she had been whenever he had called her out for her behavior she was glad to have him there for this. Currently several keepers were setting in the room before her awaiting her news. It had been resolved these keepers would be the ones to tell the others what had happened to avoid any outburst. Part of Julia could still imagine one of them grabbing her by the shoulders and demanding she repeat herself most likely shattering her shoulder in the process. They were all considered level headed sisters but she was nervous.

Nathan, “Thank you all for coming this shouldn't take long but it will begin a process that may take a while to handle. Julia if you don't mind.”

As she stepped forward Flora could see that Julia was feeling nervous. It reminded her of when one of her daughter's came to tell her about something they'd done wrong. That or whenever a young sister came to her. “Relax Julia. I'm not sure what's going on but no one is going to harm you just for talking to us. If it'll make you feel better I'll put myself between you and everyone else.”

This made Julia grin. Flora's combat ability was respected but well known as middle of the road. Yet it was also known that she would fight to the death to protect those she considered worthy. She was also true to her word. It made Julia wonder how many secrets sister's had whispered to Flora over the years only to have them stay in her head. “I recently investigated the memories of the fallen sisters to find out why they had died. We learned that they had began fighting one another during the struggle at the water front before the full scope of the battle was known. We also learned that there was a brother involved and settled on a punishment we consider acceptable for his actions. I and the brothers hope it will be fitting to you as well.”

No one responded at first waiting for Julia to continue. She however was looking back at them clearly waiting on a response. It was Alora who chose to speak up. “Could we know the details? I would like to know how a brother was involved in the death of two sisters when he was so far away from the battle. The implications of what you've said so far are quite unpleasant and I'm hoping you'll put some of my fears to wrest but worried you'll just confirm them.”

Now Julia was remembering why these sister's had been chosen to be the first told. Keepers as a rule were meant to be more open minded and observant then other sisters to more fully consider situations. How Stella remained a keeper at times confused Julia. The ones gathered here though really were some of the most kind sisters around. “He had apparently been manipulating both of them. While initially he had been honest about his relationship with them and other sisters he began to talk to them about becoming mates. Eventually he agreed to become both of their mates but always spoke of needing a little more time to break it off with the other. He made claims of not wanting to hurt the other and when pressured to stop seeing he would make it out like they were trying to hurt the other. In the end that's what happened.”

So far Julia hadn't told them the name of the offending brother. Flora believed this was a good thing as she could feel a few of her veins positively pulsing. A light fog seemed to have settled around the room and she found herself needing to think about breathing and setting still more then normal. From listening to the others she could tell that they were rather upset as well. “Julia. I may be over reacting at this moment. Perhaps you could tell us what exactly he did? Your abridged version was very appreciated but more details would be nice.”

***********************************************************************************

This had been a strange day for Allen. Many brothers were busy examining and testing the bodies of the fallen sisters. This meant that certain tasks were left unfilled for the time being fortunately his education wasn't one of them. He had a bit of a disagreement with his instructor whenever he had been asked to activate a magic glyph. That had been resolved whenever Allen reminded him that it had been a protector that insisted on him using this method and Julia had approved. After a demonstration of what he could do the instructor had seemed quite shocked and even began adjusting his teachings for the day. Allen for his part hadn't told him how much time he had spent at home practicing.

This hadn't been the most pleasant day for Stella. Thanks to Zarena the market had been cleaned up far more quickly then planned and even some of the basic excavation had been finished. This meant their schedule had been pushed forward quite a bit and due to resources they had some free time. This meant it was time to begin preparing themselves which meant early sparring. Vera had even pulled herself away from whatever the brothers had them doing to help set up some matches. She had been put up against Alexa. How could such a gentle keeper hit so hard? Alexa was known for being very kind to her claimed and others.  She didn't seem the type to strike someone unless she had to yet her attacks had been devastating.

Upon hearing the door open Allen immediately hopped of his chair and quickly made his way into the main entry way. What he saw surprised him. “Mommy what happened to you? You look awful!” Concern filled Allen's voice as he looked at his bruised mother. One of her eyes was halfway shut at the moment.

Stella, “Don't worry Allen. Mommy just began practicing her sparring today and ended up on the wrong side of a few punches.” As she spoke Stella sniffed the air. Fruit that had been bit into or cut into gave off a different smell then one that hadn't which she could detected for a short time. “Did you get yourself a snack.”

Allen, “Yeah. I got an apple and some cheese.”

To this Stella gave a nod. “Hold on a moment and I'll slice up the wrest of your apple for you.” It shocked Stella whenever instead of just waiting Allen quickly turned and sprinted back into the kitchen. “Allen. Allen is something wrong?”

Allen, “It's okay mom I like them like this.” As he spoke Allen had already grabbed his apple. He didn't know what it was but he really didn't want his mother cutting the peel off his apple or slicing it up.

Now Stella was confused. Surely Allen would prefer the sweet fruit of the apple without the peel getting in the way. When she walked into the kitchen though and noted the look on his face it was clear he wasn't just going to give it up. It made Stella feel more then a little confused about what was going through her son's mind. From the sound of his heart he was in a state of excitement.  “Allen honey. Is something wrong?”

It had even surprised Allen how he had behaved. As he held the apple he had to admit to himself that he liked it better with the skin off. The skin added a bitter taste that he wasn't used to. “I just didn't want you piling my apple without me asking you to.” As he spoke Allen found himself looking down at his apple. Would his mother understand what he was saying? Allen hoped she would because even he wasn't entirely certain what he was saying.

Stella was confused at first but didn't take long to decide Allen must be trying to assert his boundaries. It was like his room. He wanted a little bit of space that would be his own and others didn't intrude into. Given the presence of the sisters in nearly every aspect of his life Stella had accepted this. It wasn't like there was anything in his room that could harm him or that would prevent her from coming to his aid after all. Now he was feeling a bit possessive of his food. A little apple peel wasn't going to harm him of course. After a moment Stella gave a nod. “Okay Allen. Mommy won't touch your food unless you ask her to so long as it's clean.”

This wasn't quite what Allen had expected. He actually expected his mother to insist on cutting up the apple and tell him the peel was too rough on him. It seemed strange but apparently even she wasn't that worried about his safety. It made him feel better. “Thanks.”

Before speaking Stella lowered herself into a squatted position bringing her face closer to Allens. She still did her best to lean forward to further reduce their height difference. As she did this Stella reached out and placed a hand behind Allen's back. “You're a growing boy and you want to start making more decisions for yourself. Just please don't try something reckless just to prove you're growing up. I can see that and you sure showed it with your practice with that glyph.”

Allen, “Well. What if I told you that I wanted to begin learning to fight or even forest survival from a brother?” Allen knew that this was going to be pushing it. It was a far leap from letting him pick how he ate his food to letting him  undergo combat training where he would be hurt. He immediately noticed his mother's body locking up and was certain she didn't like that idea one bit.

Food was one thing but Stella didn't like where Allen was taking the conversation in the least. “Our recent failures and Zarena's scolding really made it clear that you do need to know how to defend yourself.” Before continuing Stella found herself biting down on her lower lip. She had to think about how she was going to answer this question. Zarena had made a very strong argument for why a strong target was easier to defend them a weak target. “Well before you go into the forest I want you to learn to defend yourself. Okay? Perhaps you could near some more protection glyphs so that your mommy can relax a little bit?”

What exactly had Zarena said to his mother? Allen had expected to be told or to wait. “Thanks mommy.”

For a moment Stella felt like her entire body had become lighter. She had been so worried that Allen would try to push even further then what he already was. At least with this she could keep him safe for a little bit longer. It actually surprised Stella whenever she realized that she had picked Allen up and was currently hugging him against herself so that her right cheek pressed against his left.

***********************************************************************************


After years of walking in the forest. Of walking on roots, rocks, grass, moss and a host of other things Dinon was certain he hated walking on sand. The natural give of the sand seemed to soak up the energy of his steps and the easy deformation meant he was leaving a trail that made him paranoid. He imagined any creature might be hunting him using those tracks even if they were quickly erased. In short he agreed with Razor he had fallen into a routine of angry snorts as he was forced to walk along. The sound of massive amounts of water being rapidly displaced turned his head from time to time as he looked to see what Zarena was doing. She had already found one stone she seemed to consider suitable and was looking for another.

Hunting for a large enough rock was proving more difficult then Zarena believed it was going to be. She couldn't smell or use her eyes to find a rock. She had to walk along the ocean bottom feeling for enough resistance to indicate she had stepped on a large stone. Unfortunately she wasn't used to walking on the floor of the ocean and had trouble reading what the ground was telling her. This had left her walking back and forth across a vast strip of the ocean front looking for what she desired. As she looked at Dinon though she suddenly had an idea and began to walk towards him. “Dinon may I have a moment of your time?”

Now she as coming out onto the beach. At least the sand didn't seem to provide an obstacle to Zarena. Whenever her feet slammed down the sand was left compacted and carrying a deep impression. He imagined it would take the waves some time to remove those at first. Then he saw a particularly powerful wave take a big chunk out of one of the impression and wasn't certain. “What is it Zarena?”

Zarena, “I was thinking. How about you communicate with some earth spirits and find a nice big stone for me to dig up? This search is not going as well as I believed it would. That little rock I found won't even serve as the base for the new dining hall my sisters are going to be building and we need something to help support the walls.”

Clearly Zarena's size had warped her sense of reality. The stone she had uncovered was anything but little as far as Dinon was concerned but he wasn't going to argue that fact. “Well I could but that would be costly. You never ask an earth spirit were strong stone is if you plan on removing it. After all that reduces their influence over the environment. What you ask is a wind or water spirit and they are plenty of those here. Just give me a moment and I'll see what I can find for you.” As he spoke Dinon took out his staff and began to draw in the sand. A simple ritual marking to show respect to the spirits of the water and an offering of some of his own spiritual energies would be plenty for an easy transaction like this.

Zarena, “Do I need to give you anything or.”

Dinon, “No. Don't worry about it this is really too little of a favor for me to ask anything of it. I'm just asking the water spirits to point me towards a large strong stone. They might even be happy to be rid of it. Okay that should do. Careful not to disturb this area for just a moment. Even if the transaction is simple the spirits tend to get upset if you don't show respect during it.”

Nodding her head Zarena could see the change in Dinon's spiritual energies. They were weakened slightly after a moment and she saw the briefest of flicker of energy in the symbol. It always felt strange to watch someone use a magic form of communication. She could hear Dinon speaking but of course she couldn't hear the spirits of water responding. This did prompt her to look out over the ocean in hopes of picking out the spirit Dinon might be speaking to.

Dinon, “Well that didn't take long. Now let's see how should I go about describing this? Zarena I hope you don't mind me asking but how good are you at judging distances?”

Zarena, “Bad. If you tell me a kilometer I may overshoot it by three to five times that length. Sleepers don't get to stay awake very often normally so it's hard to really develop a sense of scale related to your size. At least it has been for me.”

Dinon, “Okay then. How about giving me a lift and I'll guide you to where the stone is? The spirits of water in this region were quite cooperative in this.” Even as the words left his mouth Dinon had to repress a chuckle. He had only met this massive being recently and he already trusted her enough to step into her hand. She was still terrifying in many ways but her friendly nature and demeanor seemed to do a good job of relaxing his fears.

Nodding her head Zarena took one more step towards Dinon to put her close enough to offer him her hand. As she was lowering her hand down to pick him up she couldn't help but wonder about the spirits in the region. “So is this going to have any influence on the natural balance here?”

Dinon, “The earth spirits of the region will lose some influence over the water spirits which should make them more docile. I just hope that the information was good. I was careful with my question but you still have to be careful. A big stone to the spirits can mean one that has a lot of influence over the behavior of the region but isn't truly large.” As he had been speaking Dinon had climbed into Zarena's hand. He didn't know what she had intended when she didn't lift him to her shoulder but he wasted no time pointing her in the right direction. “Let's go this way nice and slowly so I can follow the spirit's guidance.”

***********************************************************************************

Alora, “I see. Well Dominic is quite the manipulative vile toxin isn't he?” As she spoke Alora couldn't help her right arm shaking slightly. Part of her wanted to stand up and go find Dominic immediately. That a brother would abuse a sister's trust like that and manipulate them was proving rather infuriating. “Thank you for the information Julia.”

At first Julia said nothing but listened to Alora take in a deep breath. Flora was also silent and was now keeping her eyes closed while remaining silent and rubbing her forehead. Looking around the room it was clear the gathered keepers were all rather agitated. At least none of them were running out of the room. It seemed best to continue. “We gave Dominic two choices in the matter but he had a third. If you want I'll list those choices but for now I'll just tell you what he chose. Dominic has chosen to become one of the claimed and in return the brothers and I promised to do our best to insure that he was fairly treated as a claimed.”

Now Flora opened her eyes and looked strait at Nathan then Julia. They were making quite a big promise considering how some of the other sisters were going to feel. Even she wasn't happy with that decision. “Well I can't say I'm happy with what you promised him and will remind you that neither I or the sisters have made any such promise.”

Flora was angry. Julia was very aware of that as she could practically hear the aggression in Flora's voice. “We know but we will do our best just the same. I hope you'll give yourself time to calm down and think about what you truly want to do about this situation before making any decisions.”

Nathan, “So says the one who cast agony on Dominic the moment the first flimsy excuse showed up.”

Now Julia could feel all the sister's looking at her. It actually made her give a slight yelp but when she returned their look she noticed they all seemed to be smiling at least a little. “It seemed the appropriate action to take at the time. Now I will admit that it wasn't the best action that I could have taken.”

Listening to Julia Flora took in a deep breath but she still couldn't say that her head was clear. She would need some time to truly be thinking clearly again and she imagined the others would as well. “Well it makes me happy to know that he suffered a little already even if it wasn't entirely your intentions. Nathan I don't know of many keepers that would be willing to tend to Dominic after what he did or stand up for him if other sisters resolved to kill him. For a brother to treat two sisters who were willing to become a mate to him like that is very upsetting.”

Nathan, “I realize that. Then let's take a little while before we continue this discussion. I'll go retrieve some food for each of you and then after a little bit we can continue.” As he spoke Nathan felt certain he wanted to keep these sisters where he could see them or at least know where they are. He didn't want to risk any of them running across Dominic's scent and losing her head for a moment.

***********************************************************************************

 Ridon didn't know what was going on. He had been trying to catch up to Aphila whenever something had came up behind him and wrapped something around his throat. His instinct had been to try to resist but then whatever was behind him had released its hold. Now his free hand was wresting against some kind of choker and there was a protector standing in front of him. What made the situation more surprising was the amulet seemed to be drawing him towards her. He could feel his heart rate rapidly increasing as he waited to see what would happen next.

Alaina, “That is an amulet of memory locking you're wearing right now. It prevents what happens from being turned into long term memory after it's been put on unless removed correctly. The original Luvarians developed it for discussions that involved information they didn't want remembered after the event. Whether I remove it so that you retain or lose these memories depends on the choices you make.” As she spoke Alaina kept her eyes focused on Ridon's. She had been waiting for him to enter a section of the citadel that no other apprentice was in. This had been an easy task by having him follow her.

A protector was talking to him. This was almost enough to drop Ridon to the ground. The fact that the amulet was telling him that this was Aphila was even more shocking. Yet he was surprised by her stern tone. It wasn't the warm welcome he had been hoping for whenever he was searching for Aphila. “Are you Aphila?” It surprised Ridon whenever the protector smiled at him.

Aphila. “Now that is a question. Ridon Aphila is dead. Her body, the memories contained within that body the very energies that bind her spiritual self to her body are gone. I am the person that results from the spiritual being that once used Aphila's body entering into the body of this protector named Alaina. I have the memories contained within this body.” As she spoke Alaina softened her tone lightly. While she didn't have the memories Alaina had within her body the spiritual self remembered Ridon and it was still responding to him. She felt compassion for him but had to make him understand.

Aphila's words had been some heavy hits. He had been hoped to be told that she was indeed Aphila but that wasn't it. At the same time though Ridon could feel Aphila's presence and knew that some part of her was there even by the protectors own admission. “So are those missing memories the only difference between you and Aphila?”

Alaina, “Ridon you're a necromancer and a good apprentice. You know better then that.” As she spoke Alaina crossed her arms and took on a lighter tone as if she was scolding a child.

Now that had felt like Aphila. It wasn't spoken about often but necromancy was one of the more risky magics to learn. It involved speaking with spiritual beings who weren't at times what they seemed. It also involved using your own life force and the life force of others to power a spell. There were horror stories about necromancers who had done a spell wrong and become some kind of abomination or been killed by their own creation. Ridon believed that these stories were over hyped in an attempt to frighten people away from such magic and its users. Yet it still took a certain type of sister to be at ease with their mate or mate to be learning such magics.

Aphila had been one of those sisters. Of course she still did what she could to protect him and at times that meant showing him some tough love or a lot of it. She would scold him whenever he was being foolish stating that foolishness would lead to recklessness. He also tended to pay a penalty whenever he didn't think things through carefully enough. She would have really been upset with him considering how he had acted whenever he first learned of her death and saw the body. Now Alaina had taken on both the stance and the tone that Aphila used whenever he had just did something wrong. “Even the changes to how your brain works could alter how you experience and respond to the world. Whenever I consider the memories that influence your judgments as well that's even more of a change. So did Alaina always stand like Aphila whenever she was scolding apprentices?”

Now Alaina felt herself grinning. “Yes I always have. Follow me.” As she spoke Alaina began to walk ahead of Ridon. She wanted to take him somewhere to insure they wouldn't be distracted. “The criteria for a spiritual being to make use of these bodies is actually very strict. I was only able to take it over because I met these criteria which means I was rather similar to the spiritual being that had used it fifteen years ago.” As she spoke Aliana glanced back at Ridon. He was following her closely and so far had been handling the situation well. She was glad that he hadn't become hysterical.

Ridon, “So why are you telling me all of this?”

Alaina, “I had little choice in the matter. It was either let you keep roaming the citadel looking for me or come out and speak with you. Avoiding you would have been little trouble given how restricted your movements are but I resolved that would be a cruel way to treat you. Even if eventually the other apprentices had told you need to work on other things in hopes of bringing down those barriers it would have been cruel. None of this will do any good if I remove the choker so that you lose your memories of this talk but I'm hoping that I won't have to.”

Nodding his head Ridon took in a deep breath. Walking the citadel for the last day and half had given him some time to think at least. Speaking with Julia about the state they might find Aphila in had also helped a lot. “Alaina I want Aphila back even if it's only a part of her. I'm sure you're aware of that. Which means I'd like to get to know you better.” It stung a bit whenever Ridon heard a slight chuckle from Aphila but when he looked at her she was smiling.

Alaina, “I'm glad you didn't ask me to die so that you could try to restore the being I once was. I don't know a great deal about my time as Aphila Ridon but I want you to know that I am not her anymore. You have done a lot to earn my respect though. You've kept your mind on what is important to you and not been distracted by information that you don't need at the moment.”

Ridon, “So do you want to speak with me as well?”

Alaina, “Aspects that are part of the spiritual self remain with that spiritual being even after the body dies. My love for you during my life as Aphila etched itself so deeply into that life that even the spirit remembers it. Even though your Aphila is dead my spiritual self still remembers the love she has for you. It remains with me to some extent even now making me feel a fondness for you I wouldn't otherwise feel.”

It was strange to feel himself grinning in this situation. With the medallion held in his hand though Ridon felt like he was walking with Aphila once again. “That's a very round about way of saying yes.”

A slight chuckle escaped Alaina as she led Ridon into one of the more secluded rooms. It was where the more unstable creations of apprentices had once been held waiting for evaluating. “Yes it was but this is very strange for me. Ridon I'll tell you now I don't love you the way that Aphila loved you but I would like to know you better and interact with you. For that to happen they are certain things you must know and you must abide by. I'm going to give you some information about my kind right now. We are fully sentient but share a connected mind. We are also fully capable of communication verbally and other ways but we chose to go silent. The decision to go silent was ours and you must not tell anyone that we can speak or let them know you're communicating with us until we give permission.”

For a moment Ridon was silent but then gave a slight nod. “May I know why you went silent? I know it doesn't relate directly to me but I would like to know what kind of person you are to.”

Alaina, “It happened shortly after Lord Liben died attempting to increase the yield of the citadel's primary energy system. The apprentices and the production grade  faelom were scared and honestly so were we. They began pushing us for information but it was information we didn't believe they could handle. At first we did what came naturally and we refused to tell them. They continued to push us though wanting desperately to recreate the energy systems as the faelom put a new strain on the forest and the apprentices. Eventually they became desperate enough to try something stupid and started to attempt to force us to tell them what they wanted to know. We considered several options on how to handle the situation.”

Ridon, “So you chose going silent?”

Alaina, “Yes. It was hoped that if we sternly refused to communicate with them we could destroy any hope of gaining the information from us. We would just wait it out. Unfortunately our ageless state and endurance meant we didn't take certain things into consideration. It didn't help that we were grieving ourselves. Here we were meant to be some of the best guardians the Luvarians had ever produced and yet our master died right in front of us. Personally I no longer agree with that past decision.”

Ridon, “What do you believe you should have done?”

Alaina, “Killed the instigators. If we would have just killed the ones who were encouraging the apprentices to try to force information from us we would have showed them how foolish that was. Naturally some of the faelom would have been outraged and we would have had to kill them as well in order to return order but it would have allowed us to guide you instead of this blasted silence.”

For a moment Ridon said nothing. The ease with which Alaina had made the suggestion to kill both brothers and sisters was shocking. “They must have tried something very desperate to force the information from the protectors of the time.”

Alaina, “Their goal was to restrain us and pull the information from our minds using both magic and torture. I was upset whenever they began talking about it but my sympathy for the instigators and those who would support them vanished whenever they made the attempt to restrain one of us. This choice was rejected due to the fact that many of us were still heavily influenced by the pain of losing our creator. We considered it our fault for not protecting him from his how ambition and so we didn't have it in us to kill the apprentices or other faelom at the time.”

Ridon, “Your body remembers everything that happened doesn't it?”

Alaina, “Yes. Age and several lives don't change our memories but through experience we can change our perspectives. There has been a change of perspective slowly happening one where we harmed you more then we helped you by not killing a few of the apprentices and the faelom that tried to avenge them. This is hindered by the notion that are not qualified to teach you. I agree with us not being qualified to teach you but we should at least be able to guide you.”

***********************************************************************************

Dinon, “What's the matter Zarena?”

Instead of responding right away Zarena continued to feel around under the water. She had found the stone the spirits had been speaking off and it was indeed a large one even by her standards. The problem was how she was going to carry it. She knew that her size caused a mistaken shift in perspective. As a keeper she had been able to pick up a good quality stone roughly the same size as her in a variety of ways and not have it break apart. As she grew larger she loss that ability as the stone became more vulnerable to its own weight at such sizes. “I'm trying to figure out the best way to get this back to my sisters. If I lifted it wrong it's going to split and if it's a poor split it'll be more difficult to process.”

Dinon, “That would be a problem. Well you know it'd be a lot easier to feel out the form of the stone if you'd dip your head under water. You can just leave me on the surface.”

Zarena, “Well. I'm a little worried that you might be washed away or pushed away by my movements. It would speed things up if I just took you back to shore most likely.”

To Zarena's words Dinon gave his hand a quick wave. “Don't worry about that. I'm a shaman on good terms with the local water spirits. Just set me in the water and I'll be fine.”

Was he being over confident? As Zarena looked at Dinon she could see that he had a good strong spirit and he was a trained shaman. He sounded reasonable but she wasn't certain if he understood the forces that her body could generate just by moving. It took her a moment to lift him from her shoulder resolving that he should be alright so long as she paid him some attention and worked carefully. “Okay but if it looks like you're in danger give a shout. It doesn't take long for someone to get killed around me if I'm not aware of them.”

This wasn't like before. Zarena had let them climb into her hand and off her hand rather then taking hold of them. As Dinon was held between her fingers he could feel that control had been taken from him and it caused a change in perspective. Her words seemed to carry more weight and she was the one that determined where he went in the water. Was this intentional to impress upon him the difference in their scale and how dangerous that could be? He wasn't certain but it made Dinon feel a little more aware. Such as whenever Kelah spoke with her weapons in hand as opposed to whenever she had them put away.

With Dinon off her shoulder Zarena found herself diving underneath the water. Her hands easily pushed the soft earth away from the stone as she felt out its dimensions. She was going to need to find it's thickest point if she was going to have any hope of carrying it back with her. She would also have to be careful to spread the lifting force across as much of the stone as she possibly could. It was actually making her rather nervous as she didn't imagine mountains had been meant to be carried. As she worked she glanced up towards Dinon from time to time. He seemed to be behaving himself and was even moving back towards the shore to give her more space.

What was going to happen whenever Zarena started to lift that stone? The question had came to Dinon shortly after she had went under the water and he had felt the influence of her massive body on the area. Suddenly he felt it was very important to swim back towards the shore and give her as much space as possible. There was another important factor of course. Would she be able to set the stone down or use one of her arms once she had lifted it? He doubted that she would want to risk doing so which meant he couldn't hope for a ride back to the shore. He didn't know that this had actually occurred to Zarena and she had intended to use her tail to guide him back.

***********************************************************************************

It had been a while and Alora had time to relax. Now she was taking in steady breaths again and considering Dominic's situation. Part of Alora wanted to do worse to him but she had to ask herself what he had truly done. He had manipulated the trust of two sisters and destroyed the ability of the community to trust him. This event could trigger mistrust for the brothers if not handled properly. After all if one could abuse their trust so could another. Yet the brothers had devoted so much time, energy and love towards helping them she wasn't worried about that. With the additional height and the way the brothers had fought alongside of them only the most irrational and closest to the distrusted sisters would actually hold this against the brothers as a group. “Okay my head has cleared a little bit.”

Flora, “I don't believe that it's appropriate to kill a brother because he tricked you. It has always seemed like an over reaction to me now that I'm thinking clearly. However, I also well I hope you understand.”

Nathan, “It's always been understood. There is a large difference between a sister's physical abilities and a brothers. We also are very well aware of how devoted you are and how much such manipulation must hurt. So we took it upon ourselves not to put you in a situation in which you would lose control like that. We have to take some responsibility for hitting that kill button after all.”

Flora, “Thank you. When I consider what Dominic did I want to hurt him. I want to hurt him so badly that my head begins to swim. Yet at the same time I don't believe that's appropriate. I can support you in your decision to turn him into one of the claimed after all a brother has to also be someone you can trust no matter what his rank is.”

Alora, “This is going to be so hard to convince the others of. I don't believe we can safely do this on mass but it would take a very long time to tell all the sisters who want to know as individuals and we run the risk of a loud mouth. What we probably should do is gather up the sister's and have the matrons tell them rather then just us keepers.”

Flora, “We could just speak with Zarena and have her be the one to deliver the news then tell everyone to calm down. I doubt they're going to fight with a sleeper over this issue but they may complain.”

Alora, “What if Zarena wants to kill him?”

Flora, “That would be a problem. Nathan I take it you're not going to tell anyone where Dominic is until we've had a chance to speak with the sisters right?”

To this Nathan gave a quick nod. “It wouldn't be fair to him to simply toss him out after allowing him to make a choice on the matter. Now do you have any idea of what keeper would be willing to take care of him? I was.”

A sigh escaped Alora as she looked at Nathan. She already knew who he was going to suggest. She didn't get to finish though before Flora spoke up. “My daughter's are both grown and no longer need me to take care of them. I have no mate and let's be honest I can still tend to the claimed and perform my current tasks. So how about I take Dominic as my first claimed?”

It was comforting to hear Flora volunteer and Nathan gave a nod. “That would be appreciated. I haven't had a chance to check what do you have the claimed working on at the moment?”

Flora, “What can they work on? They can't safely go into the forest and with Zarena finishing up the clean up so quickly they can't even do that now. The majority of the claimed are pretty much just waiting around for new task. A few with the needed skills have been put to work. Alora the last I checked you had a few working on something but I'm not sure what it was.”

Alora, “Oh. I put them to work drawing up new plans for a dining hall and a town in general. Well I say them but it's mostly Hadron and Lewis.”

Nathan, “Why do you have them working on that?” It surprised Nathan whenever he noted a rather annoyed look from Alora.

Alora, “Because you and the rest of the brothers are taking too long to get the designs to us. Thanks to Zarena the area has been cleared. Several sections have been dug out and now she's going to gather supplies. Hadron heard me talking about the situation with some other sisters and volunteered to work on the designs since they couldn't do their regular jobs. Who knows? Perhaps he saw this as an opportunity to steal a job from the brothers.” As she spoke Alora gave Nathan a quick glance and grin.

Nathan, “Hey we're.” Nathan didn't get to finish explaining that they had been busy studying the fallen sister's as Alora spoke up once again.

Alora, “ Anyway, Flora would you mind speaking to Zarena about what happened? She seems to respect you even more so then the rest of us. You have that whole wise motherly appeal.”

Flora, “If she was going to be sleeping within the next two weeks I would say no. I'll say that even though I'm glad she's with us. I'm not entirely sure I want to see how she'll respond to such news. As things are she's going to learn about what Dominic did eventually so it might as well be resolved now as she can make explaining the situation to the other sisters far easier. Just don't tell anyone that I agreed to be Dominic's keeper until they've had time to calm down otherwise I'll be pressured to make his life a living hell and I don't need any encouragement in this situation. It's going to be difficult enough to be fair to him without everyone nagging for me to fillet him.”

Nathan, “I do agree that speaking to Zarena would be a good way to go. However, don't you believe I should be the one to speak to her?” It actually offended Nathan a bit that both Alora and Flora seemed to believe Flora would be a better choice to speak with Zarena. Given the time he had spent with her it was more then a little strange to him.

Alora, “No. Nathan I have no doubt that Zarena loves you, wouldn't harm you and values your opinion. However, as you would be a brother speaking about the punishment of another brother your words wouldn't carry the same weight as another sister. You brought us here in order to let us be the ones to bring them the information so let us handle it.”

***********************************************************************************

Ridon, “So you really do like painting and carving still?” For a moment Ridon waited for an answer but then noted the look Alaina was giving him. The realization of his mistake opened his mouth again. “Sorry. I mean you enjoy painting and carving.”

Alaina, “Yes. I'm guessing from your comment Aphila did as well. I haven't had much time to begin working again since I woke up from being dead but well I'm sure you realize how short of a time I've been alive. I took a little time to look over some of my old works and I know that I want to paint something but I'm not entirely sure what I want to paint at this moment.”

Ridon, “Would it be alright if I saw some of your work? Perhaps I could even bring some of Aphila's by and see what you think of hers.”

Alaina, “That would be nice! A few of the other original faelom like to show their artistic side but it's nice to see an outside source from time to time. We're actually hoping a few of you apprentices have some art in you and will add some new works to the citadel.” As she spoke Alaina had taken on a relaxed posture with Ridon. He still had the amulet on but they were done talking about the more serious things. Now they were just seeing if they could talk. He thought of her as Aphila at times but given his situation Alaina could understand why.

Ridon, “Really? What do you do with it?”

Alaina, “Well if we tried to keep every painting we made then the citadel would fill up very quickly. Typically every once in a while we take some time to look at the work that has been done and transcribe them into books. At which point we destroy the original. Later if we want to bring the painting back we just copy it from the text.”

Ridon, “Doesn't that mean you lose the original though?”

Alaina, “Yes in a sense but not to an appreciable amount. Our fine control of our muscles is well very refined and we always have the original artists. It is actually very easy for us to duplicate something once it has been created. The hard part is to produce art and not just copy whatever we see.”

Ridon, “Wait. If you can remember everything perfectly why do you copy them to a book?”  As the question left him Ridon noticed the smile on Alaina's face. It seemed to have grown since they began talking. He even noticed she was beginning to lean a bit towards him. It was an action that he remembered. The more interesting Aphila found a person or the subject they were talking about the more she leaned in as if to bring her closer to that subject. If he was talking to her about a subject she really liked then it wasn't uncommon for her to effectively end up on top of him.

Alaina, “I'm glad you noticed that little detail! It's a little hard to explain. Even with our memories whenever we want to look at a work of art we don't want to look at memories. We want to look at the actual work itself or a copy. It's hard to explain but when we remember a picture it becomes somewhat static you might say compared to the emotions that it can cause whenever we're looking at the actual thing. When we remember something we already know every detail. Whenever we look at something we can follow the flow of the brush strokes and find the little imperfections where the paint didn't blind quite perfectly or there was a little splatter. Tracking these stimulates a higher level of emotions and appeal.” As the word appeal left her mouth Alaina realized she needed to lean back. From how close she had drawn to Ridon it looked like she was about to pounce him.

Ridon, “Is that a loss to you then? After all even if you can copy the movements perfectly you can't copy the humidity in the air influencing the paint, the bristles on the brush, the tiny imperfections on the canvas and even the delicate differences in the mixture of the paint.”

Alaina, “That is very true! Which is one reason why some pieces of art must be kept. What you listed are remarkable variables that are too fine even for us to control! I don't even believe it could be controlled or if it could such a being would have a power far beyond even ours! When those variables bind together in just the right way you end up with a work of art that far exceeds even the skill of the artist!”

Ridon, “I know what you're saying. At times even errors can work out towards your favor. You're working on a painting or a carving and you make an error that you can't fix. So instead you incorporate that error into what you're working on and you end up with something far beyond what you had planned or hoped for. It's rare and takes a lot of skill to make such adjustments but it's wonderful whenever it does happen.” Once again Alaina was drawing close to him. Clearly she was a strong believer in the ability of imperfections to push something beyond what one might consider perfection.

Alaina, “Yeah! I remember this one drawing of a tree with some petal birds wresting within it. I had seen the birds early whenever I went out to gather supplies and resolved to paint the seen whenever I came back. Oh! I can't describe it in words properly. Next time you're here I'll be sure to show you the painting.”

Did that mean that Alaina was going to allow him to keep the memories of this meeting? At least they seemed to have something to talk about which would seem to be helping his odds. If they found they had nothing to share with one another their relationship would have been a short one. Despite his wonder Ridon decided not to ask about such things. He would just continue speaking with Alaina until he had to be off.

***********************************************************************************

Carrying her cargo was proving more difficult then Zarena had expected. She had to be careful with each step to allow her foot to sink into the earth until she felt certain it was secure. If she were to begin slipping she doubted that she would be able to catch herself due to the mass of her load and its awkward shape. She had no fear of being harmed by such a light burden but she didn't want the stone damaged until she knew how it needed to be carved up. She hadn't even been able to retrieve the other stone she'd found from the beach but she doubted that she would need it considering her current load. Zarena was confident they would be able to built the dining hall and then some from the wonderfully sturdy rock. It may need some alchemical or magical treatment but that was to be expected.

Now her only regret was how long it was taking her to return to the village. She had at first believed she could move faster then when she had the orcs but with her new burden she was having to move much more slowly. With her vision partly obscured as well she had to be careful to feel out where her foot was going and to listen. This had lent itself to a very slow pace and she was grateful whenever she could hear the sounds of her sisters. Apparently they had taken her advice quite seriously to begin training their combative abilities. This brought up thoughts of Maria as she remembered telling Maria that she would help her to develop a better technique.

Maria, “Well. You said you were going to get some resources but we didn't expect you to bring quite this much back.”

Zarena, “Maria! I was just thinking about you. Would you be a big help to me and guide me back to the village? It's very difficult to move with precision with my view blocked like this.” As she spoke Zarena was able to adjust her view so that she could see Maria a short distance away. Her first notion was to be somewhat alarmed Maria had chosen to get that close to her while her vision and response was impeded but then she remembered Maria's speed.

Maria, “Sure. After all. You've just completely negated the work I did yesterday and most of today.” As she spoke Maria did her best to sound annoyed but in truth she was delighted. Thanks to Zarena they wouldn't have to remove a vast section of stone from the forest and transport it back to the village. There was some damage of course as she noted Zarena's foot steps but that still seemed better then a bunch of sisters running through the forest gathering up the stone. Even if they were careful with the selection of the sites it would have upset the balance of the forest.

Zarena, “That isn't true. I'm sure you found more then stone work while you were looking at promising resource sites in the forest.” As she spoke Zarena had come to a stop. She could now feel herself settling even further into the earth as the ground continued to compress beneath her feet though more slowly.

Maria, “Let's see here. Okay Zarena I want you to walk toe to heel while I'm guiding you and I'll use your feet as the basic unit of distance alright?”

Zarena, “That sounds fine.”

As she nodded her head Maria took a moment to look at Zarena's massive feet. The fact that one of Zarena's foot was as wide or wider then some matrons wasn't lost on her and the length was even greater. This thought actually helped to drive home what would happen if Zaren took a misstep. “You know I'm kind of glad the village was already destroyed.”

Zarena, “I thought the same thing! Can you imagine how much of an ordeal this would be if they were buildings I had to worry about damaging?”

Maria, “No doubt. Okay I want you to take five steps strait ahead.” As she spoke Maria dashed ahead of Zarena and considered how she would guide the massive sleeper. Telling her walk forward was simple enough but what happened whenever she needed to take a turn? At least Zarena wasn't entirely blind as Maria observed she was still using her own senses to check where she was going. “We're going to have to make a slight turn whenever you're done with those steps. Hey I have an idea. Once you're done taking those steps I want you to lower your tail tip down just to in front of your foot.

Giving a slight nod that when she thought about it Maria probably couldn't see Zarena continued onward. “I swear this darn thing makes it so hard to keep my balance. Whenever I was first lifting it from the ocean I kept thinking that I was going to end up falling over at any moment. I actually had to use my tail to catch myself a few times and redirect force over my body.” As she spoke Zarena brought her tail forward to just in front of her toes. Before she could ask what was happening she felt a slight tug on her tail and immediately relaxed realizing that Maria had taken hold of it and was now guiding her tail to some new location. “So this is what you had in mind to guide me through corners.”

As she held onto a bit of hair growing at the tip of Zarena's tail Maria gave her head a quick nod. “I was considering doing something with your feet but this seemed like a better idea.” As she spoke Maria was a bit surprised by how quickly Zarena's tail moved. She was actually walking at a speed she would considered comfortable which far exceeded most sister's running speed. As she settled on a location she released her hold on Zarena's tail and began to dash away. “Okay you need to adjust your foot so that your heel is still touching your toes while your other toes is where your tail tip is now.”

Zarena, “Okay.” As she spoke Zarena was a bit surprised whenever she noticed how far Maria had already ran. She knew that Maria's body had adapted to give her speed far exceeding the other sisters. She had even seen Maria running around a bit. Yet it felt different whenever Zarena was able to compare her own movements to that of Maria's. She didn't even need to wait for Maria to clear the area before she began the suggested movement. Something Zarena was grateful for as she didn't know how long she could hold her tail tip perfectly still.

Even standing what she believed to be a safe distance away Maria was surprised by what she felt. Whenever Zarena lifted her foot from the ground all the weight shifted to the other. Maria could feel the ground shift as Zarena's foot sunk even more slightly into the earth being driven by her own weight and the stone she was packing. A steady current of wind hit her and Maria quickly realized that it was being generated by Zarena's foot slowly moving through the air. Then came the rumble from the earth as Zarena once again began to settle weight onto it. Maria was a bit surprised whenever ripples appeared to run throughout the ground and lifted her ever so slightly even as Zarena's foot was coming down. “You're making me nervous about building things underground.”

It was impossible for Zarena to keep from chuckling as she imagined what it must look like from Maria's perspective. “Well that just means you need to make sure you make everything strong. I'm actually glad that I was asked to flatten out where the village would be built in advance. Compressing the earth beforehand made digging a simpler task and should help with my future visits through the village. I wonder if I should walk around some with this extra load to really compress the ground once I get there.”

Maria, “That might collapse what you've already dug but it still sounds worth while to me.”

***********************************************************************************

As Zarena set in her room she could hardly believe how rough she'd made her day. Carrying that stone hadn't been physically difficult but maintaining her balance the entire time had. Maria's idea to lead her by the tail had been a good one and saved some trouble but she was still tired. Now she found that she had another problem. Removing the salt from her fur due to her trip into the ocean was proving difficult. Fortunately she remembered the method for a sleeper to clean herself. A sleeper wouldn't bath like a normal sister would. Rather the method they used was to wet a section of fur and then work the water into their fur using a comb sized for them. After the water was in they worked in the cleaning solvent and then finally added more water and worked the solvent and filth out of their fur. It worked quite well but took some time. Of course, when they were asleep the brothers did this for them using very large push brushes.

Flora, “So how long until you ask the brothers to design a faster way for you to get clean?”

There was no surprise on Zarena's face as she turned to face Flora. She had heard her approach long before she spoke up. “I suppose whenever I have other things I want to do. I wouldn't feel right putting more of a burden on our brothers and it's not like this method takes a very long time. I just really wanted to get the salt out of my fur.”

Flora, “I can understand that. Zarena there is something I need to tell you and it's going to make you mad. So once I'm done telling you it I want you to set there and take a while to calm down.” Now Flora apparently had Zarena's attention as the sleeper did more then just turn her head to look at her. The sound of Zarena's massive body shuffling over the flooring and the rumbling that shook the platform Flora herself was standing on didn't upset the keeper. She recognize the posture as one that said I'm ready to listen which she was glad to see.

Zarena, “Flora that isn't reassuring talk but you have my word that I'll at least give it two hours of thought before I do anything. Provided no life is in immediate danger.”

Flora, “Make that a day and a night.”

Now Zarena found herself biting down on her lower lip. This wasn't the type of talk she liked but she gave a nod. “Okay but Flora you're beginning to frighten me if you want that much time. I'm really going to hate what you're about to tell me aren't I?”

Flora, “I wanted to kill someone whenever I first learned of it. Julia discovered why the two sisters on the beach died. They had started fighting one another during the battle. The reason they started fighting one another is due to the actions of a brother. Before they had become protectors he had been intimately involved with both of them and made promises to becoming both of their mates. It was his intention apparently to become a mate to the one that first became a protector and to string them along until then. He did a very good job of playing them off one another so that each one believed they would be the one chosen while the other would be let down easy by him.”

Instead of trying to speak right away Zarena took a moment to consider what Flora had just told her. It was clear that she had just received the abridged version with none of the finer details. Yet that was enough to get her heart to pounding inside of her chest. “That is very unsettling Flora. So they smell one another on him but he manipulated them?”

Flora, “They were a lot of promises of the last time and questions as to whether or not they wanted to see a sister hurt like that. He did a very good job of making it sound like they were being selfish and cruel to the other whenever one would push for him to end the relationship. He even used fear of losing him from the information Julia gathered.”

There was something strange happening. Zarena knew that for certain. It only took her a moment of considering this to realize it. “Flora why are you telling me all of this?”

Flora, “Because we want you to be the one to give this information to the other sisters who are wondering about the death. You see. We fear what their response is going to be especially whenever they learn what has been done with the brother. Rather then being killed he was allowed to choose to become one of the claimed giving up his old life entirely as if he had been lost in the forest.”

An annoyed snort immediately escaped Zarena. “That's hardly appropriate. If a claimed had harmed two sisters like he did he would be dead.” Zarena actually felt a bit awkward as she noted the look Flora was giving her. It reminded Zarena of when her mother would scold her and made Zarena lower her head slightly though she still towered above Flora. “I guess his mother would be quite upset if he was to be killed.”

Flora, “Yes she would be. I should also inform you that I'm the one that will be taking the offending brother as a claimed. It was decided that it's time I began seeing to my other duties as a keeper.” As she looked at Zarena Flora wasn't entirely sure what she was thinking. Zarena had quickly regained her original posture despite her backing down moments earlier.

Zarena, “Was this a decision that the brothers made as a group?”

Flora, “Yes. They had a meeting in which he was given the chance to justify his actions. Afterwords he was presented with his choices in the matter and this is the one he chose.”  Flora felt it was a good thing she has asked Zarena to wait. She could hear the sleeper's heart pounding inside of her chest and the slight changing in her breathing. Zarena was doing a good job of hiding it but clearly she was angry. At this point Flora could even smell it in the air.

Zarena, “I'm not going to promise to help you with this Flora. I consider you a friend but I don't yet agree with what was decided. I'm not going to kill him naturally whenever I learn who he is but that doesn't mean I'll agree to protect him either. Would you please give me all the details in the event I do decide to help you though? They're going to be a lot of questions.”

Flora, “I'm certain you'll come around after you've had time to calm down. I'm worried that knowing the details will actually make that take even longer but you're right about you needing them if you decide to help us. Well at least Nathan should be free to help you relax once I'm done with this.”

A slight chuckle escaped Zarena despite the situation. “I see. So that's why you don't have him here with you. You don't want to risk me getting angry with Nathan. That way he has an easier time helping to turn me to your side once this is all done. Sneaky.”

Flora, “Someone is being paranoid. A couple that's spent so little time together but cares for one another so much shouldn't have to deal with such hostile issues so soon. Now let's begin with the details.”

***********************************************************************************


Maria, “Joseph what happened to you?” As she spoke Maria was quite surprised by how Joseph looked. His heart rate was fine and his scent was fine but he looked exhausted. It was a strange moment that her ears and nose seemed to be disagreeing with her eyes. Even mental exhaustion tended to trigger some kind of response in the person.

Joseph, “Today was an awful day. Plus I really hate only getting to see you in the mornings and in the evenings.” As he spoke Joseph managed to will himself into a seated position. He felt better whenever Maria settled down next to him.

Maria, “Tell me about it. It may make you feel better.” As she spoke Maria made certain to keep her eyes on Joseph. Part of her wanted to pick him up but she resolved to wait and see what his body language and words said. Right now it seemed to say he was thinking as he continued to look back at her rather then just giving her an answer.

Joseph, “We were pushed very hard to wrap up our work for the evening and have things moving to the cooking stage you might say. Then there was a big meeting between us and the other brothers to decide how to resolve a situation you will be hearing of soon but I'd prefer not to talk about. During the entire meeting I couldn't bring myself to say a thing. Then after that I tried to take some of what we've been seeing and apply it to my own theory relating to your spell casting ability.”

Maria, “Oh that last one sounds interest but it doesn't explain the tired look you're getting. I take it that's because of the second thing that happened.” Maria knew she was right even before Joseph nodded his head. His heart told her that she was on the right path.

Joseph, “Their was a long discussion about what to do with a certain brother. Since when did I become a high enough rank to be involved in such decisions?”

Maria, “I don't know the details but I do know that's the price of respect in this community. The more influence you have the more responsibility. I take it that a brother did something that he shouldn't have.”

To this Joseph gave a nod. “Yeah. Honestly I wanted to see the bastard's dick and balls burned off for what he did. Then it hit me though. Back in the world outside of the forest his actions would have only been the subject of gossip. There would have never been a trial for it and the others involved would have just been considered silly. Yet here I was wanting to see him violently punished for his actions.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she gave a nod. “It sounds like you're part of our community now then. You're making me wonder what a brother might have done to deserve such a fate though.”

Maria's voice was far too playful and Joseph knew why. She didn't know what he was truly talking about. The thought brought a chuckle from him and Joseph found himself leaning towards Maria. Apparently this was the same as giving her permission to pick him up as he felt her hands taking hold of him and lifting him into her lap. “I bet you'd want to do worse if you knew what he had done. You'd probably event want to kill him.”

Maria, “Joseph are you being serious about that last part?”

The situation had just changed. Joseph could feel Maria's body tighten up beneath him. Her legs were made to swell and he felt himself lifted ever so slightly by the expanding muscles. Even if she didn't know the details of the situation it was clear she was taking him seriously now. “Yes.”

It was Maria's first instinct to ask for details but she quickly pushed that thought aside. Joseph was being intentionally careful with his wording to avoid telling her what had happened. A brother had done something foolish, they had a meeting to decide what to do about it and settled on a punishment. Yet it wasn't something they wanted to tell the sister's about right now. “We would probably make the situation worse if we knew about it wouldn't we?”

Taking in a deep breath Joseph leaned more firmly against Maria hoping she would relax again soon. “Zarena is suppose to tell you what happened before too long. I know that it's rude to let on about knowing something you don't but well none of this is really what I wanted to be involved in.”

Maria, “Don't worry about it Joseph. I don't need to know the actual issue to know that's something is troubling you and what it is. The ethics from the world outside this forest really aren't matching up with the ones from the world within the forest. I'm not sure how much I can help you without knowing the finer details but I can at least hold you.” As she spoke Maria placed both hands onto Joseph's chest effectively engulfing it as she smiled down at him from over the generous swell of her breast.

It actually made Joseph feel lighter when Maria settled her heavy hands atop him. “That actually helps more then I can really say. Maria have the sisters ever had a meeting in order to resolve how you're going to explain something to the brothers.”

Maria, “Naturally. We have to think of the best way to explain a situation to you all so that you know it's for your own good. None of us want any of you starving, hurting or worse yet killing yourselves ever again. So when we do something that's going to restrict your freedoms even for a while it's best we can convince you that it's for the best in the long run. I imagine they came up with quite an explanation whenever it was resolved that no more brothers would be trained as spirit hunters.”

Joseph, “Are they any recent examples?”

It was nice to see that Joseph was relaxing but Maria now had an idea of what was going on. “You're feeling bad for keeping a secret from us for our own good. So you're trying to learn of times that we've done the same so that you can feel better about yourself. Joseph you know that isn't right.” It made Maria happy whenever Joseph didn't argue but gave his head a nod in agreement. “Good. I can't think of anything serious since you came to live with us but a while back some of the ants native to the forest began to go a little crazy and we actually had to stop letting the brothers into the main village due to the toxic sting they were packing.”

Joseph, “How did you resolve that?”

Maria, “The brothers made some dealings with the local nature spirits, we planted some new plants around the village area and we replaced the old barrier stones with newer ones. I'm not sure which one of those did the trick but it stopped the problem.”

Joseph, “That makes sense. It's just. Trust is such a very different thing here then what it was out there. Where I came from if someone lost your trust then that's almost all that happened provided they hadn't stolen from you or harmed you. Well depending on what they stole from you. Let's say they were two laborers that are suppose to meet up and work on a wall. One of them gets drunk and doesn't show up. Eventually the first one stops trusting the other one and won't work with him anymore. That's where this would end in the world I come from with perhaps some negative things being said in town. Here it seems like the offender would be put on trial.”

Maria, “Well was the drunk one compensated for the work he was going to do on the wall or is he going to benefit somehow from the other persons work? If so he should be punished and made to pay a price as he's benefiting from the labor of another when he agreed to help with the labor. It may not be that we're too strict but the outside world doesn't hold a high enough level of personal responsibility.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he realized that he was actually agreeing with Maria. “We could never do that. Half the world would be put on trial.”

Maria, “Then it's a very sad thing that the outside world has allowed itself to reach such a point. Oh! Did a brother cut back on his responsibilities? Wait no. If that wasn't the case you'd be fine with telling me what had happened. I understand that the brothers responded far more harshly to a situation then you would have normally believed appropriate but you're feeling confused because you actually agree with their behavior despite what you would have thought outside the forest.”

Joseph, “I'm a little scared to continue. You're not going to hurt me later for what I would have thought at one time are you?” Joseph was a bit surprised whenever he found himself more firmly pressed against Maria's body. It took him a moment to realize she was hugging him from behind.

Maria, “No! Joseph that's a mean question to ask me.” As she spoke Maria couldn't help but push her index finger into Joseph's side a few times. She continued to grin even as he began to squirm slightly in an attempt to get away from her fingers.

Joseph, “Maria that stings.”

Maria, “Good so did your mean questions.” It was nice whenever Maria heard Joseph chuckle and she relented on her poking as he looked up at her.

Joseph, “It's just so strange to think of someone being punished for the intentional misuse of trust and for me to agree to it. Not just punished in the typical way but in a legal setting.”

Maria, “A brother abused his trust? No wonder the others were upset with him and had to settle on a punishment. Joseph I don't know what the typical way you're talking about is to be honest. After all for me this is the typical way of dealing with things. Are you sure you shouldn't be speaking with someone like Dan if you want to compare notes?”

At first Joseph said nothing but just continued to relax against Maria's massive body. A body that he would be helping to make even larger if his work paid off. “You have a point there but Dan wouldn't be any fun to cuddle with.” Joseph was glad whenever he heard Maria chuckle slightly.

Maria, “That's good to hear.”

Joseph, “Okay Maria. Two brothers are working on a project that requires a certain chemical. They each have their share of the chemical but one of them wonders off. During that time the other brother not only uses his own share but the others as well. What would happen in that situation?”

Maria, “Well without complicating the situation too much the one who had used both shares would be expected to prepare another batch for the other brother. I believe. Unless due to not having the chemical at the proper time the others experiment was ruined. In that case someone could expect to kiss their free time good bye as they worked to make up for the loss. Wait. Is this a regular happening?”

Joseph, “Let's say that something similar had happened a few times before.” Despite being part of the community Joseph still found some ideas strange. He wondered how far this could be pushed before there would be a serious problem.

Maria, “That changes things. If such behavior was expected from the brother then he had better produce very impressive results or he's going to end up being assigned a new task. One that isn't nearly as nice. He might even face aggressive discipline.”

Joseph, “What's that?”

Maria, “Joseph we sisters tend to have an instinctive desire to protect our brothers even when they've behaved poorly. This isn't absolute of course as they are certain things that would cause a sister to kill a brother and quite painfully at times. Still. They are some things that we aren't told about due to that instinct. Aggressive discipline is well our equivalent of being put in the stockades from your world and flailed. This is typically done by using magic to induce a severe amount of pain in a brother.”

Joseph, “Woe. I've never seen that happen. I've never even heard of it happening.”

Maria, “Yes. Well it doesn't happen often as most brothers never reach that point. Such a person would have to be a natural born brother who refuses to contribute and had chosen to miss use the resources that has been allotted to them. If they had been a claimed they would be killed for such actions and a sister may be punished by having a rank stripped. Another lighter punishment is for a lazy brother to be forced to work on task that would normally be reserved for claimed.”

Joseph, “Okay that sounds ugly. I have to imagine that such a situation is extremely hard on the father and mother of the offending brother. How do the sister's handle it when such harsh punishments are handed down? I mean. Have the sisters ever lost the will to protect someone?”

Maria, “I don't really want to think too much about what it must feel like for the mother and father of such a brother. I know that it can't be easy. My mom might be able to tell you something about it though. Such as when I was put into a coma for growing beyond what I was allowed.” Maria had to tighten her hold on Joseph to keep him from setting up. She doubted he had remembered that little fact and had no intention of letting him apologize. “No saying you're sorry or the like. I'm well past that point. Now as for if we will withdraw our protection. If a brother were to attempt to murder other brothers or sisters we would naturally withdraw our protection and kill him outright. If he was to turn against the community as well the same thing would happen.”

Joseph, “That makes sense. Okay how about you let me up and I'll get to cooking. I have an experiment I want to run.”

Maria, “An experiment?”

Joseph, “Yes. While conducting our studies we've ran across a few compounds in the sister's body that we believe help is respond to mystic energies both its own and outside sources. Now we really can't make these compounds directly but I have a theory as to what foods might help your body develop these compounds or cause them to respond more effectively.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she looked at Joseph. “Oh no. I've heard of these experiments. Before we start, be sure to read the findings of other brothers who have studied what influence eating certain foods have on our bodies. In the past it was discovered that while certain foods did provide more energy then others none of them effectively influenced the chemical make up of our bodies or the efficiency with which the body itself functioned. If you believe you've found a way to make this work after reading their studies I'll support you. Well up to the point that the very site of what you're feeding me makes me feel sick and then I might have to inflict some suffering on you in return.”

Chapter 34 by happiest_in_shadows

Joseph, “Well that wasn't expected. You're missing a very important detail though. I have the findings from our most recent studies. At the very least that information will let me refine what I'm testing for.”

Maria, “You have a good point. Will this influence your studies in regards to whether or not we can use magic?”

Joseph, “Not at all. The relationship between your bodies and your seeming inability to use magic is still my primary interest. I just like this experiment because you can conduct it mostly by yourself and I can examine the results through simple blood test. You may have to spend a little more time hunting to find the right foods but I'll see about that after I examine the older studies you mentioned.”

Maria, “Well someone seems to have his energy back.”

Joseph, “I wouldn't go that far but this is a lot better then what we were talking about before. Now you just relax and I'll show you how good the foods I have in mind for you can be.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she set up slightly. “Well I'm sure not going to say no to you cooking for me. I'll just.”

Joseph, “Relax in here while I cook.”

Maria, “Ah! How come?”

Joseph, “Because it's been a long day and I'm not going to have little miss greedy fingers snatching food before it's done cooking. Unfortunately the only hope I have of protecting the pan is if you're not even in the same room as it. Oh no.” As he spoke Joseph noticed the expression on Maria's face. He had accidentally challenged her to a game.

Maria, “Oh? So you believe that pan is safe just because I'm not setting in the room?” As she finished speaking Maria gave her lips a slow pass over with her tongue and leaned forward on the chair taking on something of a pouncing position. “Well as we're testing things today let's find out.”

All Joseph could do was roll his eyes. There was no talking Maria out of the game whenever she acted like this. At least he hadn't succeeded yet. All he could do was hope to meet her challenge and perhaps defeat her. “Okay but if I catch you or block you mid grab then you have to spend an hour transcribing my notes to booklet for me.”

Maria, “Ah! But that's so boring!”

Now Joseph was grinning. “I know. That is why I want you to do it instead of me. It's pretty frustrating having half the food vanish before it's done cooking after all.”

***********************************************************************************

Zarena took in a deep breath as she leaned against the wall. Nathan had apparently been quite drained by the day's events and had fallen asleep a short while ago but only after explaining his reasons and they had a little fun. He had said that he wanted to compensate her for putting her in such a difficult position. This brought a giggle from Zarena as she looked down at her vagina. Currently Nathan was nestled into the upper portion of her vagina with his head just resting against her clitoris. His arms would squeeze on it from time to time making her body tingle. Looking down at Nathan it was impossible for Zarena to resist giving him a bit of an embrace as she remembered what he said to do if someone came into the room. Just finish shoving him inside before they noticed him.

It had been some very nice fun as Zarena lightly tweaked her right nipple. Both nipples were still in an excited state despite her having come down from their fun for the most part. Now she found herself having to think about the real issue at hand. For a brother to be considered a brother they had to be someone that could be trusted. That was a truth that Zarena held strongly to. If they couldn't be trusted as a brother then they simple weren't one. There were certain truths that only brothers and sisters were allowed to know. If someone else learned of them they had to be killed. At least that was how things normally went. Dominic was making things difficult.

What would happen if a sister had accidentally told a trusted claimed something they shouldn't have known? The claimed only saw the female of their species. After all that's all there was. They would see human males and could assume they were people who had chosen to join the sisters. Claimed were then carefully conditioned to believe that the males remained within a protected area they weren't allowed to enter. After all they were plenty of areas a claimed couldn't go. Such magic trickery reinforced this miss information. Zarena gave her head a slight shake as she felt Nathan bury his face more firmly against her clitoris for a moment and had to hold in a gasp.

The shock was good for her. It wouldn't be right to kill a claimed because a sister had let her tongue slip but despite that she doubted they would let the claimed ever leave the forest. Now came a problem though. What if he tried to pass on the information to other claimed who could leave the forest? It would allow for him to gain some level of revenge that could hurt them in the long run. Was that a fair concern though? Zarena knew that things were changing and rapidly. How bad would it be if the outside world learned that the sisters needed males of other species to continue reproducing? A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as she looked down at Nathan.

Zarena, “I don't know if it matters anymore. If they knew that we don't have any males of our own but instead could use males of many species they'd only fear that we'd take their men. They'd begin to wonder about those who had vanished into the forest even more. But well what about how vulnerable we are to certain sound based attacks?” As she spoke Zarena reached down and placed her right index finger just above Nathan's head. She then began to draw it in a circle around his sleeping form. The image of people intruding into the forest carrying magic items meant to create very high level of sounded passed into her mind. It could drive a sister off and give them a chance to escape. That or it could drive her into such a murderous rage that she went berserk slaughtering everything in site to make the sound stop. In either case it wouldn't be a good thing.

Given the knowledge Dominic would have as a brother how could they trust him to work with other claimed? Just as importantly what good was a claimed that couldn't work with others? Did they even think of that before making him the offer? For a moment Zarena reasoned they must have planned to use some kind of magical item or spell to keep Dominic from telling the others about what he knew. There was of course the possibility that they would tell the claimed that Dominic knows things that could result in them being trapped there. A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she imagined a claimed beating Dominic to death in order to keep him from sharing a secret. That or perhaps he had already shared it and the claimed realized what Dominic had done.

A good keeper wouldn't allow one claimed to murder another but it was still a funny thought. Looking down at Nathan again Zarena gave a slight purr as she considered opening herself up and letting his body vanish completely inside of her. If he woke up she could always tell him that she believed she heard someone. Which wouldn't have been a lie as she could hear a great many people but none of them seemed to be coming to her room. She knew she would be speaking to Nathan about her concerns whenever he woke up. If he could put her fears to wrest as far as Dominic informing the other claimed of secrets then she would support their plan to make him into a claimed. She still believed he deserved worse but she would support her brothers and the keepers in this.

***********************************************************************************

Tera gently pressed her hand against the mountain of stone Zarena had brought to them. While it was all good strong stone they were some imperfections in it resulting in different quality from section to section. She was currently working on marking those locations and was secretly trying to find the stone she wanted to make the foundation of her new shop from. No more having their entire store burned down for them. This time around they were going to use far more flame resistant materials. “Nora isn't this just a wonderful color?”

Looking to her friend Nora couldn't help but frown. “Tera this type of gray is fine for sterile settings but it isn't okay for a tailoring shop. We need bright colorful patterns. That's why no matter what stone we end up using we're going to be painting over the stone or. Oh I know! We could cover the inside with a wooden interior and the outside with the stone sandwiched in between. That way it could still give off that nice warm inviting feeling.”

Tera, “What do you mean sterile! The citadel is full of stone work and it's lovely. Decorations like what you're talking about are just setting us up for another fire, wasting space and wasting resources. A few plants in the right locations and some splash of color would work wonderful with this stone.”

Limina, “Hey! How about you two quit arguing and get back to preparing the stone for cutting?” As she looked down at both Tera and Nora Limina couldn't help the annoyance in her voice. Here they had an entire market district to rebuild and then some and two of her fellow guardians were arguing about store layout before the dining hall was even up.

It was tempting to tell Limina to mind her own business but Tera knew that would be a mistake. They were both guardian ranked but it was true she and Nora had become side tracked. There was also the little issue that in terms of combat skills Limina was typically considered in the upper five percent of her ranking mostly due to her tendency to hunt the more dangerous prey such as large wyverns. That didn't mean they had to stop talking they just needed to continue working. “Oh come on Limina. The designs for the new structures haven't even been finished yet.” 

Limina, “We still have prep work to do. I for one want to get the dining hall repaired as soon as possible and the smoke rooms especially. I miss my properly seasoned meats and vegetables.” Even while she was speaking Limina found herself moving to different sections of the stone feeling it out. Whenever she would find a change in the stone quality she would make a quick mark sectioning the stone off. It would be up to others to cut through the rock. Once the stone was sectioned off into different qualities they could settle on what it would be used for. Naturally the strongest stone would be used for structural material. All of it would either be magically or alchemically enhanced.

***********************************************************************************

If Dominic was to tell the claimed he was working with about the sister's secrets it would mean that they can't release them. This would most likely result in the claimed harming him and the keeper would be hard pressed not to allow it. Furthermore Dominic would be punished for revealing such information. That had been Nathan's intention. Zarena had spoken to him about how dangerous that was and the odds that he could smuggle some information out. At this Nathan had relented and resolved to speak with the others about putting some kind of magical restriction or at least a monitoring system on Dominic. This had been enough to convince Zarena to relent. Now she found herself pushing up on the roof of her chamber so that she could climb out. It felt heavier then it should have.

Without the thick stone over head she could hear the others working and climbed out. She didn't know why but she was more careful then normal whenever she set down the roof to her chamber. It was as if she wanted to draw as little attention as possible. It was probably because she really didn't want to do what she was about to do. It was one thing to scold her sisters whenever she believed they were in the wrong. It was another thing to deliver news to them that she didn't like or agree with. She had relented a little over the night and resolved to help mostly because she didn't truly know what she wanted to do to Dominic. As she began to walk she resolved the best thing would be an open announcement asking the sisters to gather.

Looking up from his work Tera noted Zarena. First just looking and then realizing she was walking towards them. She was going to call out to Nora but Zarena came within easy hearing distance far too quickly. A slight chuckle escaped Tera as she realized even she had trouble judging how quickly a being that large could move. “Hey Zarena! How about helping us to grade some stone?”

Now Zarena gave a smile. “I'd love to but I can't risk using these claws on anything we hope to use for building material.” As she spoke Zarena extended her claws as if to demonstrate why. “The damage they deal isn't just a nice clean cut you know.”

Tera, “Ah yeah. You would upset the natural spirit of the stone hastening its decay.”

Zarena, “Yeah which is kind of frustrating whenever I just want to make something. I actually have to resort to tools.” As she finished Zarena couldn't help but give a light sigh. She was letting herself get distracted and immediately straitened back up. It was clear this caused those around her a bit of alarm including Tera as she took on a far more serious stance. “Sisters I have some news. We know what happened to Cita and Azala. To anyone that would like to know what I'll be waiting where we gathered to settle the issue of the spirit hunters. Please come join me in sixty minutes.”

Now that hadn't been what Tera had expected. She had been confident the brothers would figure out what happened on the water front. For Zarena to suddenly announce that she would be relaying the information instead of them was both strange and alarming. It almost put her feet to moving in order to follow after Zarena but she locked them in place. Zarena had given them sixty minutes most likely so that they could finish up what they were doing and inform the others. “Limina, Nora I'm going to go chase down a few sisters that might not have heard that okay?”

Limina, “Yeah. Yeah that's good.” As she spoke Limina didn't know what to think of the entire situation either. Finding the different grades of stone suddenly seemed to be less important then it had been.

***********************************************************************************

Setting at the front of the meeting area Zarena would be facing all her sisters. This prompted her to take in a long breath as she noted those who had already gathered. It probably wouldn't take an hour for all those who wanted the news first hand to arrive but she would need that time. She had already told them that she would inform them what had happened so she couldn't back out. She still felt her body shake a bit as she imagined their response. What would she do if a mass of them responded by immediately running off in an attempt to find Dmonic? She wasn't going to harm her sisters for Dominic's sake that was for certain. She would sooner let a sister eat him alive them harm her for that.

Maria, “You look like you're about to be sick.”

A tingling that ran up her arm and part of her shoulder told Zarena how Maria had come to be setting upon her shoulder. She was still surprised that she hadn't noticed her running up it moments before. As a sister became larger she became faster and her reaction time increased as well. How had she failed to track Maria then? After all. Even if Maria's speed was frightening compared to other sisters her size Zarena's speed and reaction time should have been far greater. “Maria how did you get up there without me noticing you? Don't you know that's dangerous?”

Maria, “Well I wasn't trying to be stealthy about it. You looked really zoned out for the past ten minutes.”

Zarena, “Ten minutes? Wow I must have been gone.” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena and she gave a quick nod. “I sure don't feel my best at the moment. I guess I'm upset over what happened and I'm a little annoyed with our brothers.”

Maria, “Wow! I thought you were just upset with us for removing things like the spirit hunters and pets.”

A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as she looked at Maria. “This is different. This is the type of upset comes with being asked to do something that you really don't want to do but you're one of the few who can. It's the type of upset that comes with being asked to purge settlements near the forest of all life after they've repeatedly encroached upon our domain. You know that it has to be done but that doesn't make you happy to do it. It's also the kind of upset that comes with putting aside your own feelings and trusting in the wisdom of others because you do trust and love them.”

That last part hadn't been expected. “I hope you don't mind me saying this but the thought of you yielding to others and doing as they'd like is a little strange. Especially considering how commanding you were when you woke up.”

Zarena, “Why is that? I yield each time I lay down for the long sleep after all. The ability to follow the wisdom of others even if you don't agree with it is something all of us sleepers share.”

Maria, “That is true. I just never thought of it that way. So this must have you really upset then.” As she spoke Maria was made to remember her talk with Joseph the previous night. She was certain this is what he had been talking about. It had her even more worried then the previous night but at least she was better prepared for it. “Well I'll be heading back to my place. It's about time for you to start explaining.”

This time Zarena was able to watch as Maria quickly climbed down her arm and her seated leg due to her hand resting in her lap. The speed with which Maria moved still seemed remarkable and Zarena couldn't help but think what it must seem like to other sisters. Okay. I believe that I've kept you all waiting for long enough. Does anyone have any reason that we should wait a little longer?” As she went silent part of Zarena hoped that one of the sisters would speak up. Instead they all continued to look back at her making her feel all the more awkward. “Very well then. As it was explained to me  Cita and Azala died because they started to fight amongst themselves during the haze of battle on the water front.”

As she listened to Zarena Maria took in a deep breath. She could feel her hair beginning to stand up as she remembered what Joseph had told her. Somehow a brother had been involved in all of this. How was she going to feel whenever Zarena told her how?

***********************************************************************************

To say Dominic was worried would have been an understatement. He had been stripped of any clothing that indicated his rank as well as most of his belongings. In return he had been given the clothing of a claimed and found himself waiting within a repurposed examining room inside the laboratory. He had actually expected to be allowed to remain in the citadel but Flora had said that was a place meant for brothers and sisters not for claimed. It frightened him. In the citadel he could hope that the protectors would come to his aid if the sisters tried to kill him. Here he didn't have that safety net. Now the door opening drew his attention. His heart rate sped up whenever he realized it with a sister without realizing who it was.

Flora, “Well it's time that I put you to work Dominic. It's been two days since Zarena set down and had a talk with all the sisters and now I believe they're ready to see you contributing.”

Dominic, “What are you talking about? There is no way that the other claimed have been put to work yet.”

Flora, “That is how their keepers are choosing to keep them. Alora has already put hers to work and so am I.”

A sigh escaped Dominic as he stood up. “Well then what do you want me to do? Is there some books you want translated or some calculations done maybe someone needs some help with spells?” It worried Dominic a bit whenever he heard Flora chuckle. The look on her face told him that she found something very funny.

Flora, “Now Dominic how are you going to cast spells with those restraints are your wrist?”

Dominic, “Aren't you going to take them off?”

Flora, “Of course not. I can't have a claimed I don't trust who can use magic unshackled. It's been a few days since we lost the town and we've had to use improvised deification areas. Guess who's claimed gets to tend to the mess?”

Dominic couldn't hold his jaw shut. He had spent the last two days thinking about what claimed of his ability would be allowed to do. He had even reminded himself of how fair of a keeper Flora had been considered before she became pregnant. Now she came to him with this kind of news. “What are you talking about! The brothers have been housed in the library which has facilities and then the citadel! There shouldn't be any need for such work!”

“Do you believe we always have time to run deep into the forest whenever we need to use the potty? There is also the claimed who are far more limited. If you might recall they spent some time working on the clean up before Zarena stepped in. Fortunately for you Zarena did most of the work and put an end to that but there is still a mess that needs tended to.” As Flora was speaking she could hear Dominic's heart pounding inside of his chest. The anger was clear on his face and his scent. It was probably a good thing she had chosen to tell him this in private or the other sisters probably would have chipped in.

Dominic, “Then have one of the idiots take care of it! I'm a fully trained mage! I can do more important work then cleaning up your shit and especially the shit of someone's pet!” The blood was practically pounding in Dominic's ears at this point. The fact that Flora could break him in half or remove a limb in an instant wasn't even registering with him at the moment.

Flora, “Dominic you know better then that. It isn't just about your abilities but also how much we trust you. Now from what I was told you were a very naughty person before you were claimed so you're going to have to earn my trust and that attitude isn't helping you. I'm afraid this is the only shit I trust you to handle. Now come on. I'll take you to your work site and you can begin. You're fortunate though. A while back a member of our community developed a mask to better protect people from stink. I found one that wasn't lost in the fire for you to use.”

Now Flora was talking to him as if he didn't know it was Joseph. She really was going to treat him like he was a newly captured claimed and didn't know anything about their society. “Fuck you Flora! At least let me use my magic.”

Flora, “That is quite enough! If you keep behaving so poorly I'm going to have to punish you. You may be allowed to use your magic in the future but first you have to prove you can be trusted with such a powerful tool. Now come here.” As she spoke Flora indicated a spot closer to her. She was going to end up carrying Dominic to get him to the location quickly enough but he could at least walk the few meters needed to put him within arms reach.

It felt like Dominic's mouth was drying up and his throat was shutting. He had been prepared to copy some books or perhaps work on making some basic alchemical items. To be told he was going to be cleaning up crap and not just crap but the crap of the claimed as well was worse then he had imagined. Yet the power in Flora's voice made his legs move and he found himself walking towards her albeit very slowly. So he really was a new claimed. Not just an ordinary new claimed but one who had been difficult during their capture from the way Flora was speaking. He was the low man even amongst the claimed.

***********************************************************************************

Alaina, “We've been happy to see that the apprentices have began using the single handed method of awakening a glyph more then the two handed. It was a bit funny to watch some that are used to spreading the burden between two hands have to adjust.” As she spoke Alaina continued to move her brush about. It was nice to have a cooperative person to paint that wasn't another faelom. She had been speaking with Ridon for five weeks now and so far the original faelom found their activity agreeable.

Ridon didn't know what to think about his current situation. Currently he was wearing cloak that positively radiated magic, holding the staff Julia had used during their studies of the fallen sisters and pretending to watch a flask which was actually undergoing a very active reaction. Alaina was a short distance away painting on a canvas and despite her memory being near perfect she wanted him to hold still while she painted. At least her precision and speed meant she was working very quickly but so far he hadn't been allowed to see her work. “Yeah. I was surprised whenever Mirin teared up and had to walk out of the room while he was practicing.”

Alaina, “That one needs to learn precision spell casting. Whenever all you can use is spells that require a lot of energy and destroy a massive area you're in trouble when precision is called for. What would he  do if he was confined in a cavern and had to worry about dropping a mountain on his head?”

Ridon, “Possibly drop a mountain on his head. Alaina what exactly am I suppose to be in this painting?”

Alaina, “I was going for the look of a young Luvarian helping their mentor with a necromancy based construct. The cloak protects you from fire and necromancy so that if the construct went out of control the entire room could be bathed in flame without killing the Luvarian. The staff is to allow you to provide the needed energies.”

Ridon, “I see. So you liked to watch the creation process?”

To this Alaina gave a quick nod. “It was quite enjoyable. This is actually based on an early experiment to develop an undead command unit. As you know large numbers of undead can be difficult to control so often necromancers will make a sort of general to guide a portion of the undead for them. However, these leadership units tend to be difficult to create and replace. One of our necromancers resolved to make a new form of undead that could be placed within a lesser undead and augment their abilities to produce a leadership unit. Then if the unit was destroyed the construct could be retrieved and simply put inside of a new host.”

Ridon, “How did that work out?”

Alaina, “It was a little more eager for a host then was expected and tried to kill one of the apprentices. The project was moved else where whenever the Luvarian directing it was assigned to a new guild hall but they were high expectations for future results. I never found out what happened with the final product.”

Ridon, “Okay Alaina that's kind of frightening.” Ridon wasn't surprised whenever he heard Alaina giggle but still had to look at her. She was giving him a warm smile. “By the way. I liked that desert you made for me this morning. Do I want to know what it was?” It was nice whenever Ridon noticed Alaina smiling back.

Alaina, “I'm glad that you enjoyed it. It was just a properly prepared root from an iron bark.”

Ridon, “Um. Are we both thinking of the tree that got its name due to a tendency to break axes that are used on it?”

A slight chuckle escaped Alaina even as she resumed painting. “Yes. That is why I said prepared properly. It takes some time, patience and a good oven to properly cook the roots. They store a large amount of sugar whenever the weather starts becoming cold and can be made into a very sweet pudding.”

So he had eaten part of a tree. Not only part of a tree but a tree that was used to make armor and weapons that rivaled those made in a forge. The thought was enough to freeze Ridon in place as he tried to imagine what Alaina would have had to done to break down the tough plant fibers into the soft delicate texture that he had been eating. “Are you being serious?”

It was clear that Ridon was having trouble believing her. This only made Alaina chuckle to herself. She knew it would be hard to believe that such a tree's roots could be made into anything a human could eat. “It was a technique that first saw development for long journeys through waste lands. It was resolved that they needed something that packed a great deal of nutrients and energy but also lasted an extremely long time. The roots from an iron bark have an exceptionally long life span but they aren't edible by humans. So it was resolved to find a way to make them edible even while traveling. Surprisingly a constant heat source and the right compounds did a good job of this. Unfortunately a constant heat source couldn't always be insured in such situations.”

Ridon, “So when was it made to taste good?”

Alaina, “That was the work of Tiadra. She happened upon the knowledge and became curious what could be done with it. Of course, there is no where else in the world that someone could freely experiment with such roots other then this forest. They're simply too rare. Honestly I believe if she had picked something else she could have produced something far better in a shorter time period. She was determined to prove that even such a food could be made delicious though  and ended up making something with a truly unique flavor.”

Ridon, “Then did you learn it from her?”

Alaina, “Yes. I believed that it would be fun to share it with you and it was.” A sigh escaped Alaina as she looked at her painting. She had picked the wrong way to represent Ridon he just wasn't suited to the painting. “Ridon you do a poor job of representing someone who's been waiting for several hours for a reaction to finish while using their own magic to stabilize it.”

Ridon, “What?”

Alaina, “You should look more fatigued. I believed that I could compensate for the energy in your face and make you appear more drained but that isn't working. I even waited all this time for setting to become bothersome and show on your face but you've continued that smile.”

For a moment Ridon said nothing as his mind tried to catch up to what Alaina was saying. “You mean you wanted me to look fatigued?”

Alaina, “I told you that your character was meant to impart the emotions of someone who has spent long hours helping to complete a complex necromatic spell. Do you believe such a person would look spirited after spending several hours of such effort?”

***********************************************************************************

Hadron felt so strange as he walked ahead of Alora and a few other sisters. Currently they were within the dining hall which had seen a lot of work recently. It wasn't quite functional yet thanks to the little details like pluming but they were hard at work on that. That wasn't what made him feel strange though. The fact that he was inspecting the work that had been done by the keepers, guardians and mages  that had chosen to live with them was strange. Alora was along to insure that he and Lewis felt comfortable  when commenting on the work that had been done so far. The sound of some chalk meeting stone drew his attention to Lewis who was currently marking a section of the wall.

Alora, “Is something wrong Lewis?”

Lewis, “I'm not sure. This spot looks like the mage who fused the stones together was running a little low on strength. It'd be a good idea to have it checked before it ends up carrying too much of a load and you have a crack.”  Lewis wasn't just being careful in his wording as he looked at the stone. He truly didn't know if it was a good enough joining or not and that was the problem. When building a structure if you didn't know if something was strong enough or good enough then you best assume that it isn't. As typically if you assume that it is sufficient and discover it isn't later you'll be in trouble.

Alora, “Well. I would come over there to confirm your work but I don't have enough knowledge on this subject to support or contradict you. So I'll just have someone that does look at it later. Thank you Lewis.”

Lewis, “Thanks. I'm still surprised that you settled on a design that Hadron and I came up with.”

Alora, “We didn't settle on a design. We made use of the best one available to us. I admit I wish we had some of the brothers that designed the library or laboratory around but we haven't built structures like that in a long time. You two did very good work.”

Hadron, “It was because they left behind good notes.” When he had first been claimed Hadron was surprised when he learned his life wouldn't revolve entirely around work. The claimed were allowed access to certain things and knowledge. Especially if that made them more useful. Hadron had found that he enjoyed studying design and to his surprise been allowed to revise the design to some structures such as those homes used by the unclaimed and even their own living accommodations. Once Alora trusted him enough. Lewis had started later then him but was a reliable assistant and learned fast.

Lewis, “I'm still a bit uncomfortable. This was quite a bit bigger then anything we've worked on before.  It would have been nice to design a few more refinement structures before working on one this large.” As he was speaking Lewis had rejoined Hadron and Alora. Even as he resumed his inspection there was something nagging at him that he wanted to ask yet he was worried about the answer and what the question may bring.

Alora, “Thanks to your development of such a valuable skill on your own there has been talk about promoting you to unclaimed. It seems many feel you have aided us enough to repay what you once took.” Alora had a large grin on her face as both Hadron and Lewis came to a dead stop. They weren't promoted to unclaimed yet but they were on their way to being. A lot of sisters believed that it made no sense that a claimed effectively the lowest ranking member of their society was designing some of the most important structures.

***********************************************************************************

Mina felt silly. Currently Flora was setting beside her while she was laying down. Flora's hand was resting atop her stomach apparently trying to feel for Mina's child through that wall of muscle. “Flora what are we going to do whenever we become larger and become pregnant with a brother? I can only imagine that would happen if a sister learned she had accidentally murdered her new born son.”

Flora, “We're just going to have to be very careful during those times. At least our bodies give off a new scent before the baby is born.” As she spoke Flora took in Mina's scent again. She was most assuredly giving off that she was ready to give birth. The problem was due to the strength of Mina's body and her massive size it was hard to tell if that meant hours or days. Fortunately the problem wasn't overly difficult to solve as Dan walked into the room carrying a plate of freshly cooked meat and vegetables. Flora had brought them over and intended to cook but Dan insisted she stay with Mina while he cooked.

Dan, “So Flora how is my daughter coming along?”

Flora, “I wish I could give you specifics. Mina is going to give birth soon. From her size I am certain it will be a very easy birth. When I gave birth to Mira it was easy enough and well Mina is larger then I was then.”

Mina, “Hey Flora. What did you do with Dominic? I mean you're suppose to be his keeper so shouldn't you be keeping an eye on him? I'm not taking you away from your duties am I?”

Flora, “Julia volunteered to make use of him for a few hours. This is far more important then such things anyway. Okay Dan here is the good news and the bad news. Mina will give birth soon. That's good. To insure the child's safety she needs to remain home or at least close to it. She isn't allowed to go hunting, training or well really. Mina you don't get to do anything that would require you to leave your home understood?”

Mina, “Understood.”

Flora, “We're dealing with a newborn sister or that's what all the indicators say so she won't be too delicate. That said it would be best if you had someone to stay here with you and help Dan out. I believe that Terima would be a good pick for this. She's young and this would be a good advancement in responsibility for her.”

Nodding her head Mina took in a deep breath. She had never given birth to a child before. What was this going to feel like? Would she recognize it whenever the birthing process began? Everything she had read and been told said that she would but she worried. “What should I do if I realize I'm giving birth while Terima and Dan are away?”

Flora, “Find a clear clean spot and assume the position I showed you. Once the infant is born cut the cord and if she isn't crying like someone just gave your tongue a spiced rub down give her a light pat on the back to insure there are no fluids cutting off her air way. Oh and be sure to give a distress call.”

Mina, “That sounds about right. I was thinking that I might need to travel to the citadel and just stay there until I've given birth. If you say this is.”

Flora, “That is a wonderful idea! They're rooms that aren't in use. They're plenty of brothers around to help out and there is even the protectors. Don't you agree Dan?”

Dan, “Huh. It would make a lot of sense. Yeah I believe that is what we should do. Flora could you help Mina to the citadel while I prepare some things here? I'll be going to stay with her after all. This way we don't have to bother Terima to transport me two and from work either.”

Mina really hadn't been thinking whenever she had made the comment. Listening to the energy in Flora and Dan's voice though it was clear that they approved of the idea. She had first believed that such a thing would be unnecessary but she wasn't going to argue with them on the issue. “Well then. You just said I could be up and about around my home so how about I help to get it prepared then we all go together.”

Flora, “That's fine.”

***********************************************************************************

This was not what Mina had expected even whenever Dan and Flora had began to move her. She was being watched and she knew it. Every once in a while a protector would walk by her room and look in on her. The door was shut but she could hear them, she knew they were there and she knew they were watching. It had finally reached the point that she had opened the door so she could see them to. What surprised her even more was the way that they were looking at her. They seemed to be smiling at her whenever they would check in. Now if only they'd take a moment to speak to her she could completely relax.

Ridon, “Good evening Mina.” As he spoke Ridon felt a little awkward. He had wanted to check in on Mina upon learning she had been moved to the citadel. Then Alaina had taken him aside and told him some questions that they wanted her to be asked. The only problem was how was he going to work those questions into casual conversation?

Mina, “Is it already that late Ridon?”

Ridon, “Oh I'm not sure. I haven't stepped outside of the citadel in a while. I've been rather on the busy side.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she smiled at him. “Things are going alright. I'm a little lost as to what I should do with myself at the moment. I guess laying here and waiting to give birth is the extent of what I'm really suppose to do. Little Dremera sure is getting me a lot of attention.” As she finished speaking Mina lightly patted her stomach imaging that she felt a kick from the inside in return. Perhaps she did.

Ridon, “Yeah but you know after everything that has happened we're all eager to see her. I even think the citadel is. Did you know that there is even a housing area for pregnant Faelom?” Even as he spoke Ridon felt rather awkward. It was Alaina that had mentioned the room to him and suggested they move Mina to it. She had seemed so excited to be able to communicate a piece of information to the sisters even indirectly that he couldn't refuse.

Mina, “Faelom? Ridon what is a Faelom?” As she looked at Ridon Mina couldn't help but set up. That was the first time she had heard that word being used to refer to anything. It seemed like Ridon was a bit alarmed as she heard his heart rate speeding up. What had he been up to as of late and what was that word to cause such alarm?

Ridon knew his body was giving him away right now. His mistake would cause his heart rate to speed up and he would begin to respond to it. There was no claiming it was just a slip of the tongue with how his body was acting. “Whoops. I've been reading a lot of documentation of the Luvarians since I moved into the citadel. It seems the faelom was one of the names that the Luvarians used in order to refer to the sisters. I'm sorry for using such an outdated term.”

That wasn't right. At least it wasn't the name that Mina had learned to call the sisters. “That's not what I was taught. I remember documentation identifying us as the srale.” A shiver immediately went up Mina's spine as she said the word. “I hate that name though. It just sounds so ugly.”

Before Ridon could speak he heard a voice but not with his ears. It was more within his own head and he recognized it as Alaina. The fact that the voice seemed to be augmented by the amulet he and Julia made help insure him it was her. “That is not our name. That is a name for a vast classification of constructs. Just tell her that was the old name and faelom was given to us whenever we proved resistant to infernal influences by Lord Liben.”

Ridon didn't really have time to think about what Alaina had told him and he didn't know if he had a choice. He felt his mouth working without him thinking. Had that been a command spell as well as a message. “Srale was a name given to you before the infernal war within the Luvarians itself. Faelom was actually assigned to you after the sisters proved resistant to infernal influences. However, with everything that had happened the leadership at the time saw you more as family then anything else and just started calling you the sisters of the Luvarians.”

Mina, “Really! Even I didn't know that. Where did you get that information?”

Ridon, “A protector brought it to me actually. Since we've began using the library more they've been a bit more interactive with us. With a strong biased towards Allen. I wonder if they're going to show your Dremera similar behavior.”

Mina, “That's right isn't it. I heard about them bringing Allen that book and even showing him to use a one handed method for awakening glyphs. Now apparently they're a lot of brothers who are trying to learn to use one hand for glyphs thinking that means they all should use such methods. I wonder if that's true myself. They didn't even seem to consider that Allen might be a special case and not everyone should copy such methods.”

“Yay children to distract a sister.” Immediately flashed into Ridon's mind. Another thing immediately entered into his head. This seemed far more forceful then the first one as if more then one mind was backing the spell. He didn't even have time to consider what he was saying. “So have you considered raising Dremera in the citadel and see what happens? I remember Zarena mentioning how the protectors would at times help with young sisters. Remember she said one earned the ire of some of the children by constantly bringing them back to their parents when they tried to sneak out of the room.”

Mina, “I remember that being mentioned. I've never heard of them harming a child at the very least.” As she spoke Mina placed her hands on her stomach. “I don't want to just wonder off without Dan knowing where I am though. It's a little strange. The protectors keep wondering by and looking in on me. I finally started leaving the door open so that I could see them. It's like they're moving by faster now. Sort of like if Maria wanted to sneak a peak at something.”

Ridon, “Well perhaps they're just checking to make sure your baby is okay.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she nodded. “That is a sweet thought. What do you think a protector would do if I was having trouble giving birth and the child was in danger of dying due to the strength of my body.”

Once again the words hit Ridon before he knew what he was saying. “Restrain you while inserting their claw slightly into your spinal column in order to numb your entire body. Then insert a claw into the upper section of your womb cutting an opening just large enough to retrieve the child. Once the infant was removed from your body it it would be a simple matter of using heavy grade wire or enchanted thread to stitch you back up. Due to the regenerative ability of your body the cut in your abdomen would heal within a few days at most and the damage to your spine would recover within a matter of hours.”

Once again Mina found herself sort of staring at Ridon. That was a bit more detailed of an answer then she had expected and she didn't know where that part about numbing her body had come from. “Wow. What was all of that?”

Ridon, “Well I don't believe they would allow an infant sister or the mother of that infant to die whenever they're in the citadel. They've also proven that they have intimate knowledge of all the Luvarians creations just by being able to maintain the citadel. Well that and the tools that they left us with whenever we began to research the bodies of the dead sisters.”

Mina, “That makes sense.” Even as the words left her mouth Mina felt a little strange. Ridon was speaking with an authority about the protectors that she didn't quite understand. It seemed like he had discovered something about them that the rest of them had forgotten. “Ridon what exactly did that book with the name faelom in it have to say?”

***********************************************************************************

Alaina, “I apologize for the number of times we took over your ability to speak. It was just so exciting to be speaking about a newborn faelom! Well a faelom to be.” As she was speaking Alaina had picked Ridon up and pulled his body against her own. He still seemed a little stiff but was relaxing as he was held against her warm body.

Ridon, “Well honestly it was a bit unnerving and I worry you might have had me say too much. Alaina I really don't want you or anyone else putting words like that in my mouth again. Just taking control of someone's tongue like that without permission isn't acceptable.” Ridon didn't know what to expect but he was still surprised whenever he noticed Alaina nodding in agreement.

Alaina, “I am sorry. That amulet of yours caused the spell to behave strangely. It was only meant to be a suggestion or a request but for some reason it turned into more of a command for you. We realized this after the first command but couldn't remain silent.”

For a moment Ridon didn't say anything but took in a deep breath. “Well I already said what needs to be said. So let's leave it there.”

Alaina, “I intend to make it up to you later. I realize that having your body used in a way you didn't intend isn't pleasant even if there was no harm. We are grateful for what you allowed us to do. You might need this later by the way.” As she spoke Alaina retrieved a small book that she had retrieved shortly after Ridon slipped up by calling Mina a faelom.

Ridon, “What is that?”

Alaina, “It's a book that was written after the infernal influence weakened the Luvarians. It talks about constructs that were immune or resistant to infernal influences, those that were roughly what you'd expect and those that were far too vulnerable. It discusses the need to stop production of any construct that is overly vulnerable to being control by infernal magic and the study of those that are resistant to it. Most importantly it mentions the name faelom and has enough of a relationship with necromancy that you could have read it.”

For a moment Ridon said nothing but took a moment to look at how thin the book was. “It doesn't seem thick enough to be a detailed studied.”

Alaina, “It isn't. It's a bit of data and a thesis. Unfortunately the collapse of the Luvarians had already began even when this book was written so that it was never developed into a full study. I was going to suggest you read it but now that I think about it how about I read the book to you?” As she spoke Alaina slipped the book from Ridon's fingers and began to shift his position in her lap so that he was leaning his back against her left arm and looking up at the underside of her breast. “Yes this feels about right.”

As Ridon was cradled in Alaina's arm he didn't know what to think of the situation. He felt a little embarrassed being held like a child but those massive breast above him held such a commanding presence. His arms wouldn't cooperate whenever he tried to tell them to pull him up most likely because several parts of his body were telling them to stay down. All he could really do is grin as Alaina settled herself into the seat and began reading.

***********************************************************************************

Kersara, “Ouch! Oh this hurts.” Even after she was done calling out Kersara couldn't help but giggle. She was lucky that she had found someone that could cause her this kind of pain on the water front. Granted her opponent had to have some assistance but if Kelah hadn't been there then she wouldn't have had anyone to spar with.

Kelah, “You're complaining about being sore!” Even as she spoke Kelah pointed towards a rather noteworthy gash across her stomach. Currently a searing pain was running throughout the wound while small bubbles rose from her skin. She wasn't worried about either of these effects as she recognized it as the visual signs that the damaged skin was rapidly mending. With the extra mass Kersara had put on and the power that came with it Kelah wouldn't have been able to safely spar with her on her own. If she was allowed to set up some spiritual focuses to channel additional power and have a shaman or two back her though that changed.

Kersara, “No. Being sore is the result of a good long swim where I push myself to the limit. Water really is wonderful. I can push my body to its limit working as hard as possible and yet it just returns to how it was. What I'm feeling right now is actual pain. You didn't mention those axes of yours actually slow down the healing process.”

A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as the wound on her stomach stopped bubbling. She could still feel a lot of smaller injuries being healed but they were coming along. “They're made from the bones of a dead dragon and imbued through numerous shamanistic rituals. You didn't believe that being cut with them was going to be the same as being cut with a regular weapon did you?”

Kersara, “I really didn't think of that. I knew that they were made from the bones of a dragon but I guess that should have told me there was something more to them. So has the path Zarena been walking proven useful?”

Kelah, “Very. I believe some of my men slow down whenever they believe that they hear an impact though. I guess they suspect that it might be her. You know they tend to get rather excited whenever she comes by for a visit. Especially whenever she has Maria with her.”

Kersara, “I believe those two like to practice Maria's speed training out here more so then in the forest.” As she set up Kersara took in a deep breath. Zarena's new path had worked out for her as well. It made it easy to return to the village for short visits and Zarena was happy to take her back later on. With the path becoming more and more defined Zarena felt comfortable moving at increasing speeds. “It's kind of strange being carried around like that though. At times I believe that's how a brother must feel but then I remember something. If we just set a brother down and leave him in the forest he'd be in serious danger. At least we know that we can get back home no matter where we are.”

Kelah, “I wish I could say that. Okay that's enough setting around for me. We still need to make preparations to move the living and storage areas back some more.”

Nodding her head Kersara immediately stood up. “Well then let's get to work.” Without waiting for a response Kersara moved ahead of Kelah. She had been living in the orcs settlement along with a few other sisters. As they were living together the sisters had naturally been helping the orcs building. “I really thought that we have solved the storm issue until last night.”

Kelah, “I did to! Then a wave comes smashing through my window, nearly takes the wall down and drenches me. I knew that the water held dominion here but I didn't expect it to be this invasive. Then I speak with the shamans and they tell me this land remembers storms that are far more powerful then the one we encountered last night. I wish those idiots we used to send out on fishing trips would have brought back more information.”

Kersara, “Well it's not entirely their fault. I used to patrol the water front after all. I should have known better but well. I never really thought about building on the water front in those days. A powerful storm was just a chance for me to go swimming and really work my body.”

Kelah, “You used to go swimming in that weather?”

Kersara, “Well yes.”

***********************************************************************************

Pera, “That is so neat!”  Currently Pera was setting across from Allen who had set a cup of water atop a glyph. Resting on the surface of that water was a small stone that would have normally sunk rapidly to the bottom of the cup.

Allen, “Julia said this was a good way to begin really refining my ability to.” Allen gave a sharp grunt as he had to focus more energy into the glyph. He had hoped to put on a better show for Pera but this was rapidly draining all the strength he had. Increasing water's resistance enough to keep a small stone from sinking had sounded like great fun when Juila had told him about it. She had even shown him the glyph to use. However, despite his practice maintaining it for more then a minute was nearly impossible.

Pera, “Are you okay Allen?” Pera got her answer whenever Allen gave a sharp gasp and the stone rapidly sunk. This wasn't her concern though as she closed the gap between herself and Allen taking hold of his shoulders as she did so to keep him from falling over. She was relieved whenever she heard him breathing and saw him smiling up at her.

Allen, “I had hoped to be the one to release the glyph rather then to have it exhaust me. I guess that wasn't very impressive.”

Pera, “No way! That was still really neat!” As Pera spoke she went from holding onto Allen's shoulders to slipping her hands underneath his arms. She didn't bother asking as she lifted Allen's exhausted body into the air and set herself back down. She was still smiling as she settled Allen into her lap allowing him to look up at her smiling face. “So that was a glyph of armor right?”

Allen, “One of them. Bark skin, iron skin whatever you want to call it they're all spells meant to increase the durability and resistance to damage of something.  They do it by different means.”

Pera, “Neat. But Allen. Don't typically spells like this last for a while even after the glyph is activated? Why did you need.” Pera found herself going silent whenever she noticed the look on Allen's face. Clearly she had hit a sore spot without thinking. “Did I say something mean?”

Allen, “No. Yes that spell should last for a while but I'm not good enough to make it last for very long. When Julia did it she just touched the glyph for a moment and the stone remained suspended for over ten minutes. She used a heavier rock as well.” Allen tried to sound upbeat but he couldn't help but feel a bit sad at the moment.

Pera, “But Julia's been using magic for years and she went through that strange ritual to better attune her body to the use of magic! So you can't compare yourself to that. Besides it has to be hard making water strong enough to support a rock.” As she spoke Pera tried to keep her energy up. She wanted to show Allen that she was truly impressed with his progress and hope that would cheer him up.

Listening not just to Pera's words but also her voice did do a lot to help Allen and he soon found himself setting up again. “Thanks Pera. I've actually began working on making my own glyphs and speaking with some of the others about their use. You should have seen my mom whenever I told her that I liked using glyphs more then I liked learning to cast spells.”

Pera, “Well are there any benefits to using glyphs?”

By now Allen found himself relaxing and began to raise himself up from an inclined position. The fact that Pera's lap was almost as big as his mother's use to be was a strange though as he scooted away from her body to more set on her knee so looking up at her face was easier. “Yep. The glyphs are far harder to interrupt and quicker to activate. You can already have them prepared well in advanced as well. The problem is that they're not as easy to adapt and if they're not already prepared they take longer to ready.”

Pera, “What did your mother think of that?”

To this Allen gave a shrug. “I don't believe she looked into that. Whenever I told her that I might want to become a glyph expert she picked me up and hugged me for so long that I thought she might have forgotten that she was holding me. I'm pretty sure I spent a good ten minutes talking to her about it while she continued to hold onto me. She didn't say anything but I suspect she was just glad that I don't want to become a spirit hunter anymore. I didn't tell her though but one of the reasons I'm studying glyphs is that's what Julia is studying to become one.”

A slight chuckle escaped Pera as she placed a hand on Allen's hand nearly engulfing it completely. “Of course. When you're hunting dangerous and spontaneous beings you would want to have a quick response ability or two. So what did the brothers say?”

Allen, “My teacher says it's a little too early for me to start working on a specialist field. He suggested that I spend a little more time learning general magic and then make a choice but he did assure me that if after that I wanted to focus on glyphs it's a perfectly acceptable field of magic. Typically such mages work more on making magic items, equipments and constructs apparently but with the right preparations they can offer more direct aid as well. It was when I was speaking with Julia that I got a real surprise.”

Pera, “Did a protector give you another book?” With that Pera removed her hand from Allen's head she was a bit surprised whenever she noticed the grin on his face. “No way! One of them brought you another book!”

Allen, “Well nothing like a book. One of them brought a gauntlet to me and let me see it. It was covered in glyphs. The really neat thing was when I put it on several of them activated and it actually adjusted its size to fit me.”

Pera, “What happened next?”

Allen, “At first I felt this remarkable surge of energy. I could literally feel my muscles tightening up and it felt like my skin was being stretched. My skin texture changed and everything felt more comfortable all of a sudden. Then I got dizzy and almost passed out. She. Well she had to take it off me but she set me on one of the seats before leaving.” As he spoke Allen couldn't help but look down. “Julia said that I shouldn't feel bad though. Even she was surprised to see something like that.”

Pera, “Well that's one way to kill a buzz. What happened?”

Allen, “Julia said that the gauntlet was a guardian's gauntlet though more advanced then one she's seen before. She also mentioned that the darn thing was suppose to have a power source of some type that didn't include the wearer. Someone had apparently removed it from the gauntlet before the protector brought it to me.” An annoyed snort immediately escaped Allen as he gave Pera a lopsided grin that brought a chuckle from her.

Pera, “Well maybe she was trying to inspire you by showing you what a glyph crafter can make! That was pretty mean though if she was the one that removed the power source.” It was clear to Pera that Allen felt a little down about the gauntlet. She could understand why. He was having a rough time wherever he went in his studies. Sure Julia had praised him for the progress he was making with glyphs but he had also put in a lot of work. Then when he compares himself to one of the more trained mages they make everything appear so easy. “What about your protection from fire glyph? I bet you're really good at using that.”

Allen perked up almost immediately when Pera mentioned his protection from heat glyph. “Well it's protection from heat actually and I've gotten really good at it. You should have seen my mom whenever I cast protection from heat on the kebabs she was preparing for us three days ago. Allen dinner is going to be ready in a little under thirty minutes! She puts the kebabs on and them comes back to check them a few minutes later and they haven't even began to cook. Of course, they're wresting atop an open flame so she isn't certain what's going on and tries lowering them further into the fire.”

A sharp giggle escaped Pera as she imagined Stella fighting with the skewered meat and vegetables wondering why they aren't cooking. “She had to catch on that something wasn't right. What did she do?”

Allen, “Yeah it didn't take mom long to realize that natural meat isn't that resistant to being cooked.” Now Allen felt his face growing warm as he started to blush. “She told me that apparently the fire had broken so she may not be able to cook dinner. Then she went and said that I shouldn't worry because if it came to it she would breast feed me like when I was a baby. I swear Pera the look on her face said that she would do it.” Despite his grin Allen couldn't help but blush at the idea of his mother breast feeding him at his age. She sure was large enough to get away with it.

Even Pera blushed a little at this. “I really hope she was just joking and wouldn't resort to breast feeding you just because she couldn't cook dinner. That's going to be my job in a few years after all.”

Allen, “Pera I can't believe you just said that! As for my mom. I do not want to find out! Fortunately the fire began to burn through the magic about fifteen minutes after I cast the spell and she smelt it beginning to cook. She looked at me and said. Oh it looks like the fire is working again. It was the first glyph that she ever saw me using so I have to believe she knew it was me and was just trying to make me worry. After getting our plates though she told me that she was proud of the progress I was making.”

Pera, “She's not the only one. So how did the kebabs turn out?” As she spoke Pera placed both her hands on Allen's chest effectively covering it up. She used this to press him more firmly against her body in a gentle embrace. “Hey seriously when I get of age would you mind if I breast feed you?”

Instead of trying to look up at her face Allen made it a point to look down at the ground. The fact that he could hear Pera chuckling and even feel her body shaking from the laughter only made him blush even more. He hadn't mentioned it but when his mother had teased him he had actually been left thinking of Pera and her developing body a short while later. He also remembered what happened to them on the water front and how Kersara had to step in. “Well. Maybe once in a while whenever we're older.”

Pera, “Yay! I heard some sisters talking about it a while back so I have a few ideas. Apparently it's a good idea to spread some honey on the nipples for the first time.”

Allen didn't know what to think of that last comment. All he could do was look Pera in the eyes despite the huge grin that had formed on his face. Given how powerful the senses of a sister was it was pretty useless to try to hide such things as sex from her. They could smell it easily enough. This meant sisters tended to be quite casual with one another whenever talking to each other about such things. For Pera to be talking to him about such things was something of another matter. “I see. Well I suppose that would add  a sweet taste.”

***********************************************************************************

Alexa, “Okay I need you to relax you're not going to like this much.” As she spoke Alexa pressed down on Julia's back. She was instantly greeting with a sharp grunt of pain and had to add extra force to keep her from setting up. “Now just relax this is good for you.”

Julia, “Why can't I heal sore muscles! Thanks for the help Alexa. I'm surprised you're so good with human muscles.” Currently Julia was laying across Alexa's lap feeling truly astounded by how sore her body was. She had believed that she was in good shape but the past two weeks had been a nightmare. She had learned how well conditioned the spirit hunters were and had asked for help in reaching that point. Alexa had volunteered to assist her in the process.

Alexa, “Well you know I am a keeper. I have to see to my claimed and that includes knowing what their bodies can take and good ways to train them. Besides with all the effort we put into insuring that our brothers stay in shape we have to know something about your body. We want you to be healthy not to break you. One moment this is going to. Well never mind.” At that moment Alexa had heard a very loud scream from Julia and felt a slight pinch herself. The pinch Alexa had felt was the result of Julia instinctively lashing out with her magic. “So are you ready for the heated oil?”

As she looked up at Alexa Julia could hardly believe this. She had tried draining some life energy from a few plants in order to restore her body. However, whatever strain had been put on her muscles due to the training Alexa had been putting her through couldn't be healed like that. Her muscles were exhausted and adjusting to the new burden that was being put on them. It wasn't like she had been cut open or struck with a club. “No!”

It was impossible for Alexa to keep from giggling. She had already reached into the small pot and began to dampen her hands. She was careful to insure it wasn't so hot that it would burn Julia but this was necessary. “You said you wanted the intensive treatment which also involves the intensive care. Don't worry once the pain is gone you're going to feel wonderful. Now quit fussing like a guardian and just relax.” As she said the words relax Alexa began to work Julia's body once again.

Julia was surprised by how the oil felt. She had expected the pain to continue but after an initial spike in the pain it seemed to be going down. “I haven't been out of the citadel in a while. What do you mean about complaining guardians?”

Alexa, “Oh some sisters don't like being forced to compare themselves to other sisters. It was always. Well I'm this much stronger then a brother so I should take care of them or I'm that much stronger. Now it's turned into I'm so much weaker then her that I can't even last thirty seconds. Then you factor in the pain of the training and all the other work that's getting done and I hear a lot of complaining. So if you want to take a step towards being seen as a keeper you'll show mental resolve and not scream whenever I push down here.”

Immediately Julia' felt her entire body lock up. Her eyes opened wide as pain shot throughout her back. Her hands opened wide and she felt her magic running throughout her body. Her fingers were positively tingling whenever she forced the magic to stop flowing and held still. Fortunately the pain was already fading as she tried to force herself to relax once again. Oddly enough as the pain began to fade she felt like something had been released. “So Alexa when did you begin learning how to massage a human body?”

Alexa, “Wow. I expected a bit of a backlash there. I learned it from my mother who told me that if you really want to have a good long time with a brother you have to make sure that his body is prepared for the attention. You presented a bit of a challenge naturally being female but not being a sister. I actually had to look through the citadel to find out how to handle your body.”

Julia, “Are you serious? They had books on that?”

Alexa, “Naturally. Well not dealing with this exact subject. I read some books on the structure of the home body that related to massage therapy. The library guided me to the books that would be useful. I admit this is a bit experimental for me.”

Julia, “What!” As she spoke Julia tried to raise herself up but once again Alexa kept her pinned. Suddenly she was a bit worried about the long term affects.

Alexa, “Relax! I wouldn't risk anything that would cause you long lasting harm. You're one of my sisters after all.” Alexa couldn't help but chuckle whenever Julia relaxed and settled back down. “Besides I did some of my experimenting on that claimed elf. She isn't a human but a human's body and an elf's is close enough that I could get an idea of what I'm doing from that.”

Julia, “What did she do to deserve that?”

Alexa, “Nothing and I didn't force her to do it. I explained the situation and offered a trade with her. If she was willing to volunteer her body to learn from I would see to it that she wasn't put in a manual labor position again provided she followed the rules. I also assured her that if there was any true damage she would be healed and receive some additional compensation. She isn't a very trusting one she demanded to know what kind of compensation I was talking about. We finally settled on that she would be granted a room equal in seclusion and comfort to that of a trusted claimed.”

Julia, “I would have taken that deal back in my time. Ouch!” Being no where near prepared Julia couldn't help her body's response and gripping Alexa's leg firmly immediately channeling energy into the limb meant to induce pain the same way she had caused Dominic to suffer. She was rather surprised by Alexa's response.

Alexa, “Ouch. That kind of stings.”

The fact that the sister's had been designed to be very magic resistance suddenly popped into Julia's head. A random little shot of magic that would have dropped a human to the ground wasn't enough to even slow them down. Especially a keeper who was as well conditioned as Alexa. “Sorry about that.”

Alexa, “No problem.”

***********************************************************************************

It was nice to be done working with the dead sisters and back to working with the living ones. At least the time working on the dead had given him time to think and he had come up with an idea. Currently he was surrounded by three books and several badly written notes. The type that he would pester Maria to compile into something more uniform later. Two of the books was a list of various glyphs, their nature and how to combine them. The third a book on spell casting, how to amplify the power of spells in general and how to increase the amount of power flowing to a spell caster.

Dan, “So how are your efforts going Joseph?” As he spoke Dan settled down beside Joseph and leaned over in order to take a look at his notes.

Joseph, “They're going. At least I believe they are I won't know until I try this on Maria. I'm probably going to get an earful if this doesn't work out. You see. I sort of asked her to cut back on her eating today so that she's exceptionally hungry. The look on her face was so horrified that I honestly felt terrible for asking her but I didn't ask her to cut back a great deal.”

Dan, “How much are we talking about here?”

Joseph, “I just asked her to cut back by about ten percent. I mentioned wanting her really hungry whenever she came home.” Even as he was speaking Joseph found himself looking through his notes. “Dan would you take a moment to look at this glyph I've come up with? The original was meant to help a mage channel magic more effectively for extremely rapid spell casting. I've been trying to modify it so that someone outside of the glyph can awaken it.”

Dan, “Sure. Let's make sure that you haven't accidentally made a glyph to blast the person standing inside of it.” By now Joseph had scooted his papers over to Dan who wasted no time beginning to examine them. He could see the initial glyph in the foundation. “I see. So you took some aspects from a  glyph of holding and combined it with a glyph of revitalization. So you want to activate this glyph but you want the person inside of it to maintain it.”

To this Joseph gave a quick nod. “That's right. I'm pretty sure my design will work.”

Dan, “Give me the first book to your left please.” Taking the book from Joseph Dan quickly began to flip through the pages. He was confident in Joseph's work but he just needed to check one thing to insure that Joseph hadn't made a glyph of holding that used the victims own energies to bind them. “I take it this is for someone who really doesn't know how to channel magic energy. It would be dangerous to let a student use this as they could end up killing themselves with the power flow. So this is for Maria right?”

Joseph, “That is correct. I was thinking of getting her well fed so that the detection crystals began to respond to her and begin teaching her then. This was is a bit simpler and doesn't have such a narrow time frame to work with. The glyph should help any being that's capable of using magic to channel their energies. I mostly needed the books to find the most powerful one that I could find.”

Dan, “Do you have the ink ready then?”

Joseph, “Yes. Our research on the bodies actually helped with that. It let me adjust the ink to better suit the body of a sister. I guess that's another benefit of our studies. So what do you think?”

Dan, “It looks good. I just hope it works or you're going to have to deal with a hungry sister. Worse still you're the one that asked her to go without food. She's going to expect something special in return.”

Ridon, “Dan! I've been looking for you.” Ridon didn't bother waiting for Dan's response but was already sprinting towards him. “You need to get to Mina now!” It actually surprised Ridon how quickly Dan jumped out of his seat.

Dan, “What's going on?”

Ridon, “Flora believes that she's gone into labor. Come on.” Instead of waiting for Dan to respond Ridon began to sprint back out the door. He could already hear Dan following him and another set of foot steps. He knew they belonged to Joseph. Apparently he wanted to see the new born sister as well.

It only took Dan a moment to catch up to Ridon. While they were both excited Dan was on an entirely different level and that was lending him speed. He didn't even think about it as he began to pass Ridon. He knew where Mina had been moved and while he didn't mind if the others were there he wasn't going to wait for those with less initiative to catch up to him. “Hurry up you two!”

***********************************************************************************

It had all happened before Mina knew what was happening. She hadn't even known what was happening whenever the protectors entered the room and guided her over to the bed. It had worried her a little but they hadn't given her any reason to resist. Then one of them had grabbed her legs and adjusted them so that she was in a birthing position. It had seemed strange but the realization of what was happening had hit her whenever she felt her body responding and noticed the look on Flora's face. Now she felt her body responding but she didn't know what to think. It was strange but what Ridon had mentioned about the protectors had actually comforted her. “Flora am I alright? Ah!” Mina's eyes were made to widen for a moment as she felt a push.

Birthing for a sister of Mina's size wasn't like a human woman giving birth. Mina's body was a good bit larger then that of a humans at five meters tall while a newborn sister would still be roughly the same size. This meant her body had to stretch far less which was proving very important now given how difficult that would be for Mina's body. “Just let it happen naturally Mina. You shouldn't have to push just try to let your muscles respond on their own. You're giving birth to a sister here so as long as you stay calm your child will be fine.”

Mina, “Do you think anyone heard our calls? This place isolates sound so much that I hope they did. I don't want Dan to miss this.” As she spoke Mina was a bit surprised whenever she felt some dampness on her cheek. She didn't have time to realize she'd shed a few tears. “I'm really giving birth to a new sister aren't I! I'm going to be a mommy!” Even as she was speaking Mina felt her heart rate speeding up. To feel her body beginning the birthing process for the first time was an entirely new experience for Mina and causing several biological responses to trigger. The Luvarians had been careful to design the sister's body to insure the child would come out unharmed if she was large enough and to insure the mother would welcome the experience again.

Lestel couldn't help but smile as she looked at Mina. She could see the child's life energy as the child progressed through Mina's body and was happy to see that it was a very strong one. She knew that if the Luvarians had been around they would have been quite excited to see that a very noteworthy spiritual being had taken the body. It was fortunate that Mina and Flora seemed to realize she was there to give assistance. They weren't trying to drive her out of the room and seemed relaxed despite the situation. Now she just had to retain her composure whenever the child was born while insuring her safety and everything would be fine.

Flora was a bit surprised whenever Lestel began to work on Mina's legs. She was certain the protector knew what she was doing and looked to Mina's vagina. She was quite surprised whenever she noticed a tiny tail tip suddenly stick out from between those lips nearly being lost in Mina's vast bushy tail. Her heart seemed to jump and she quickly moved placing her hands underneath the child. In her rush she didn't notice Lestel calmly move to the side whenever Flora moved in. It had been Lestel's intention to be the one to help the child  but she understood why a mother would want a friend handling that rather then a quiet being she didn't truly know. It was a bit upsetting despite those thoughts as Lestel had hoped to hold the child for a moment at least. She could feel the disappointment in the others.

Flora, “She's coming Mina! I can see her little tail tip!” As she spoke Flora looked to her friend who was giving her a large grin. “Oh there is a little more of her tail. Keep going and we're going to see little feet or ears soon.” Flora knew better then to assume a tail meant head or feet first. When she had given birth to Mira she has assumed that she was coming feet first because of seeing her tail as well. Instead it turned out Mira had somehow kept her tail pointed upwards past her head the entire time.

Mina, “What color is her baby fur?” It seemed like a silly question but it was the first thing Mina could  think to say.

Flora, “Jet black like. Oh. Oh not black. I see a little stripe! Oh she has a long tail for such a newborn. Just like her mother I do believe.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina as she closed her eyes. “Were is that slow poke Dan?”

***********************************************************************************

 The citadel seemed bigger right now. As Dan ran he knew that he was getting closer but the notion that he could sprint the entire distance was soon passing from his mind. Unfortunately in the citadel there were no near by sisters to call for help. He had to rely on his own legs to carry him. The notion that he should have been packing a potion that would allow for a faster running speed entered his mind. The fact that being near Mina all the time would quickly drain it of its power did not so he found himself feeling very stupid. That did bring an idea. “Ridon you're a mage. How about casting swift steps?”

Ridon, “You got it. Brace yourself and don't run into a wall.” Even as he was speaking Ridon was gathering energy. He didn't actually know the spell that Dan was asking for but he knew a spell that had a similar affect. Endurance of the undead was a wonderful spell that imparted a level of stamina onto the recipient that was only found in creatures that didn't require air, water, food or even their own heart to beat. At the moment he would have loved to cast it on himself and Joseph as well but getting Dan to Mina was more important.

Dan felt an immediate rush as the spell hit him. Suddenly his lunges no longer felt stressed and his legs were no longer screaming for oxygen. His entire body felt lighter as he began to run even more quickly. “Thanks I'll repay the favor.” As Dan called out he didn't realize Ridon couldn't really respond. He was already leaving him and Joseph behind.

***********************************************************************************

It  surprised Flora how helpful Lestel was proving to be. She really did seem to have a masterful knowledge of the sister's and how their bodies worked. She had helped in cutting the umbilical cord  with a grace and speed that suggested a lot of practice. Flora had been a little concerned whenever she'd taken hold of the newborn infant but that hadn't lasted long. She had watched as those fingers worked over the infant poking certain places bringing a few cries of protest from the young infant but then they had relented and Flora knew there was a smile on Lestel's face. She had been checking the infant's condition. Now Flora found herself holding the newborn and looking at Mina who was positively transfixed. “So Mina are you ready to  meet Dremera?”

Even as Flora had been speaking she had been walking over to Mina. Mina for her part could feel her heart positively racing now that the child was born. She had black fur like Mina herself but it was striped with random bits the same color as Dan's hair. The extremely dark shade of Mina's fur made the stripes seem lighter then what they truly were and from the way the infant was screaming it was clear she had a good set of lunges. “I. I. Can I? I won't hurt her will I?”

Flora, “Well first stop shaking like that.” As she spoke Flora couldn't help but grin. The sound of some rapid thumping and then the door opening turned her attention to the doorway. “Well it's about time you made it here. What kind of example are you setting for your daughter arriving late like that?” Flora kept her tone light and joking as she handed the newborn over to Mina who had by now calmed down. The fact that the newborn could easily be held in one of Mina or Flora's hands only seemed to make Mina even more nervous.

Mina, “Oh Dan! Isn't she beautiful?” As she spoke Mina held Dremera to her chest effectively blocking everyone's view of the newborn who was by now calming down.

Dan, “She sure is.” Dan couldn't actually see Dremera at this point but he wasn't going bring that up and he sure as hell wasn't going to tell a new mother her child wasn't beautiful. That just seemed like a good way to get yourself killed. As he walked over to Mina though he tried to see around Flora to get a better look at the child. At least he could see the child's tail flicking about.

Lestel had a smile on her face. She knew but she couldn't remove it. She was a bit disappointed that she hadn't been given the chance to hold the child and examining its body was all too simple. She had even risked a few extra pokes to maintain contact for a little while longer. It was too hard to resist. She could feel every protector there was looking through her eyes in order to get closer to the infant. It was almost painful whenever she forced herself to step back. The infant was in good condition so she needed to lgive the new parents some space. She and the others would have to try to get near Dremera some other time. It had been so long since they had an infant they could take care of.

Now Dan was close enough to see over Mina's shoulder and look down at Dremera. He almost jumped whenever Flora's arm reached past him holding onto something that he quickly identified as some damp cloth. “Okay mommy let's get her cleaned off before she goes to suckling.”

Mina, “You do it Flora! I'm scared I'd hurt her.” Immediately Mina felt her heart rate speeding up even more. Just holding Dremera were putting visions of what would happen if Mina accidentally squeezed her too hard into her mind. It was sending her heart racing to the point that she thought Dan could probably hear it.

Normally Flora would have insisted that Mina tend to her daughter's first cleaning. Given Mina's strength though and her state of excitation Flora gave her head a nod. As she took Dremera from Mina Flora settled down onto the floor so that Dan could better see her. “She's calming down now but you should have heard her in the beginning. Your daughter has some very well formed lunges.” As she began to clean Dremera off one strange thing struck Flora. “Mina did you bring this cloth?”

Mina had settled down to watch Flora feeling relieved to have someone she trusted to be delicate holding her daughter. “No. I thought you brought it. Huh?” Mina felt a little strange whenever a bright blue drink was set down before her. Looking to her side it seemed even more surprising to see Lestel had been the one to set it down. “Is this for me?” There was no verbal response but whenever Lestel proceeded to scoot the glass closer to Mina she took it as a yes and picked up the drink.

Flora, “I guess it is. Thank you for your assistance.” Upon finishing Flora began the task of cleaning Dremera off. The child was calming down right now and actually seemed to be looking towards Dan and then to Mina. She had already recognized the two of them as having a scent similar to her own and thus objects of key interest to her. Apparently she wasn't sure which one she favored as she kept looking to each parent. “I guess she hasn't settled on who's girl she is yet.”

Mina, “That won't take long. Can you name one sister who when given the choice at a young age chose her mother over her father?”

A slight giggle escaped Flora as she shook her head. “No. I can't. I believe that might have been designed into us just to make training young sisters easier for the Luvarians. Ah! Are you already getting sleepy little lady?” While she had been speaking Dremera had given a rather noteworthy yawn. She had only been born for a few minutes and apparently she was already thinking of sleeping.

Dan, “Do you believe it'd be safe if I touched her?”

Flora, “Just keep your fingers or well any part of you away from her mouth and you should be fine. We're not like humans when we're born. See her teeth are already preparing to go.” As she spoke Flora slipped her finger against Dremera's mouth causing it to open up slightly. Her teeth weren't fully exposed but you could clearly see they were there and already quite sharp. “It would be sad if the first meat she ever tasted was obtained by taking a chunk out of her father.”

Nodding his hand Dan placed his right hand against Dreamera's head and began to gentle rub it. “Hello there little lady. Welcome to our family. We're going to make sure you like it here.” Dan wasn't certain what to think whenever Dreamera gave an extremely energetic squeal despite her drowsy state.

Flora, “Oh no Mina. I believe she's already deciding that she likes daddy patting her more then mommy.”

Dan, “Very funny. Mommy is the one that takes care of feedings. I'm pretty sure she'll be siding with Mina soon enough.”

Flora, “Bah. Even a brother can handle feeding an infant sister. Instead of milk he just needs to mash up some meat, vegetables and fruit then feed her with a long spoon to avoid losing a finger. Like I already mentioned we aren't like humans when we're born. Our digestive systems are ready to go. You just have to make sure it's well cooked so she can actually digest it.” As she was speaking Flora had to keep pushing Dremera's hands away from Dan. Apparently she was trying to get hold of her father.

Dan, “Well that part about a long spoon is reassuring. Well hey now little miss.” As he spoke Dan looked down at his wrist. He had felt something wrap around it and when he looked found Dremera's tail had wrapped around it. She apparently didn't have her fine control down yet or the muscles needed as it was a lose wrap but she had done it. “You're a clever little one aren't you?” As he spoke Dan gently ran his hand over the bit of Dremera's tail that had found his wrist. Once again the young girl gave a delighted squeal though it was clear she was fading fast.

Flora, “I guess she is. Okay Mina here is your little girl back. It's time to feed her.” As she spoke Flora used her own tail to push Dan closer to Mina so that Dremera wouldn't have to release him. It appeared Mina had relaxed after sipping on the drink Lestel had brought her. She didn't protest as Flora handed Dremera to her but gently held the newborn to her breast.

Mina, “Do you not want to let go of daddy?” There was no sound from Dremera this time. Rather she had already found her mother's nipple and was working on taking her first meal. The teeth the newborn had posed no threat to a female faelom and especially not one built like Mina. Instead she gave a giggle and looked over at Dan. “I'm surprised that Ridon didn't come back with you?”

Dan, “He and Joseph are on their way. Ridon was nice enough to cast a spell to help me get here more quickly. I'll have to thank him later.”

Mina, “I will to. So you want some help up here? You can settle down on my stomach and we can all just relax together for a while.” As she spoke Mina extended her free hand so that it was behind Dan. He gave a nod and she settled her hand against his back helping him to climb onto the bed and onto her. “Now Flora you're not going to run off on me are you? I want to make sure I do this right and having one of the few sisters who have raised two children as a consultant seems like a good idea.”

Flora, “Not just that. I have years of consulting experience as well. My new responsibilities as a keeper will occupy some of my time but I'll always be glad to help you out Mina. Especially with this little lady.” As she spoke Flora reached a hand down and gently ran her fingers along Dremera's side. She didn't seem to mind but she had stopped suckling already.

Mina, “They go to sleep fast don't they?”

Flora, “Enjoy that while you can! Pretty soon it's going to seem like they never sleep and they're always getting into something. As my first bit of advice I'll tell you this. If there is anything in your home that you truly value and it's delicate you need to store it somewhere else for the next three years. That or surrounded it with iron bars. At least that should generate enough sound that to can rush over and save it.”

Mina, “Seriously?”

Flora, “Back when Maria and Mira were children it seemed like breaking things then breaking them again was their natural instinct. I remember hoping that Mira would be less inclined to climbing and knocking things over then Maria but I was mistaken. After years of helping other sisters with their children I'm pretty sure this is natural for all of them.”

Mina, “Hm. Hey Dremera. Are you going break your daddy's fancy flask?” After a moment Dremera gave a slight chirp though it wasn't much of a response it was enough. “I believe that was a yes. I guess you won't be bringing your work home anymore Dan.”

Dan, “I suppose that I won't be.” As Dan spoke he turned to see two other people entering the room. “Well it's about time you two arrived. Dremera is already here.”

A sigh escaping Joseph even as he struggle to catch his breath. It was one thing for Dan to ask for some help given what was happening. As for Joseph and Ridon they both felt to use magic on themselves would be treating it too casually. “Well we came as quickly as our legs could carry us without magic assistance. So Mina. You look happy.”

Mina, “I am. It's been a long time since I was this happy.” Even as she was speaking Mina found herself gently running her fingers against Dremera's sleeping form while turning her attention to Dan every few moments.

Ridon, “I see she has her mother's tail.”

Dan, “Yeah I'd say you're right. I'll have to be on my guard whenever she learns to really use it.”

As they moved closer to Mina Ridon looked to Lestel. He imagined that Alaina was watching them through Lestel's eyes at the moment as was every protector in the citadel. They were probably all wishing that they were the one in the room right now but he knew they would resist the urge to flood into it. “Hello Dremera you've been born into a very exciting time.”

Mina, “Yes she has. So Joseph. When are you and Maria going to have a child for Dremera to play with? If you have a son then by the time he's born and you can convince Maria to let him start playing with other children Dremera should just be learning to avoid harming her brothers. Hm maybe that's too aggressive of a schedule. How about you make Maria pregnant in another year or so? That should give enough time.”

Joseph, “You think so?”

Dan, “Yes. You'd be amazed how quickly the infant sisters learn and well mature. In three or four years you may have trouble telling the difference between Dremera and the way Pera was whenever you first met her. Besides I think she's already got the being gentle part down.” As he spoke Dan pointed towards his wrist indicating Dremera was still maintaining her hold on him.

Flora, “Don't listen to Dan about that one. Dremera likely recognizes that he isn't a food item due to his scent. Right now she's still a bit dangerous to anyone that doesn't have similar genetics to her own.”

Joseph, “Thanks for the warning. So I guess holding her is out of the question.”

Flora, “Yes for so many reasons.” A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she noted the look Mina was giving her. “Well it's the truth.”

Mina, “Oh! I know. She just needs to learn who she's allowed to use her teeth and claws on and who she isn't is all. So when should we tell the others?”

Flora, “Let's keep you in the citadel for a while and let Dremera have some quiet. The worse part of the first three days with Maria was the other sisters wanting to see her. When Mira was born I knew better then to announce it strait away.”

Ridon, “I believe that would be for the best. Actually it might be a good idea if once you're ready to speak to the others you remain in the citadel a while longer. That should avoid the usual flood of people wanting to see the newborn. It'll also give Dremera time to get use to the scent of her family.”

Despite nodding his head Joseph had to speak up. “Would it be okay if I told Maria that Dremera is finally here? She would be pretty angry if I kept this a secret from her.”

Mina, “That should be fine but don't tell her outside the citadel. Invite her here and then let her know. Right now I just want to spend some time with my family.”

Flora, “Ah! A good hint that we should leave. Come along everyone let the new mother and newborn wrest. Dan be careful. No wagging your finger or the such in front of Dremera's face. You might think it looks cute but as amused as she may appear you're tempting her to remove your finger doing that.”

***********************************************************************************

To say Maria was feeling a bit on edge whenever she arrived at the citadel to find Joseph would be an  understatement. She had done as he request and limited her eating for the day and she hadn't felt so hungry in a long time. Fortunately her larger body felt the hunger less then when she was only three meters tall and especially less then whens she was less the two meters. She was still thinking that Joseph had best have a good reason to ask her not to eat. When her told her to stand in a circle she had nearly fallen over but reminded herself that Joseph knew what he was doing. As she was setting in it though she found herself feeling more and more silly.

Joseph, “So Maria how has gathering lumber been going?” As he spoke Joseph diverted his eyes away from the singing crystals in front of him and towards Maria who was looking around quite a lot. It seemed clear she was feeling out of place which was actually comforting. He was worried she would look irritable.

Maria, “It's going well enough. We're only harvesting limbs that looked like they were going to exceeds the trees ability to support them for much longer. It really helps to cut down on the amount of damage we do to the forest even if it's a bit more work. Three wonderful limbs were dropped by the same group of sisters today. They ended up being yelled at for a little while.”

Joseph, “Was it a keeper doing the yelling?”

Maria, “Nope. It was just another guardian but she was in charge of the project so it was her right. I didn't catch what made them drop the limbs but whatever their reason it didn't seem to justify dropping three of them.”

To this Joseph gave a quick nod and looked towards the glyph. He had awoken it a short while ago and now was just waiting to see results. “So Maria how are you feeling? Any better?”

Maria, “I'm not entirely sure yet. I feel more silly then anything else. Just give me about fifteen minutes and I don't feel any hungrier then I did a few moments ago I'll let you know. I mean. If need be I could just set her for two hours and then we'd know for sure if this was holding my hunger off or not.”

Joseph, “I'm hoping that it will do more then hold it off.”

Maria, “That would be nice but it's not like we can spend all our time standing around in these circles. I guess you could put them under where we sleep so we wouldn't wake up hungry at least. That would diminish the need for us to eat in the morning. Would it be safe for a brother to sleep with us though? Joseph if you've come up with an idea that will make it difficult for us to sleep together I'm going to smack you.” As she spoke Maria found herself leaning forward suddenly becoming very concerned.

Joseph, “Ah. No. No need for that Maria. You seem to miss understand. That circle you're setting in doesn't cause the world to channel more magic into the world. Rather it increases the rate at which your spirit can channel energy into your body. If the circle works then it offers more proof that the amount of energy you can channel into your body can be increased. This means that we don't have to use magical items that provide you with energy but rather we could provide you with magic items that help you provide yourself with more energy.”

For a moment Maria was silent. The notion seemed simple and she knew of items mages used to let them draw out more power. “Would such items be immune to the deterioration they normally suffer whenever exposed to us for too long?”

Joseph, “Well if they're not immune they should be far more resistant. Of course this really isn't my goal. If I can prove that the amount of energy you channel to your body can be increased then the next step is to find a way for you to increase the flow yourself. Like a mage learning to channel more power to cast more and more powerful spells. Right now your body draws this energy out itself but perhaps we can improve things by improving the issue on the other end.”

Maria, “So you want to teach us to feed ourselves?”

Joseph, “Yes. I believe that is the only truly effective solution to your problem.”

For a moment Maria was silent as she looked down at the circle. Was she feeling hungrier or more satisfied then she did a few minutes ago? She couldn't be certain yet but she was feeling happier. “Joseph if I didn't have to stay in this circle I would kiss you right now.”

Joseph, “Could you save it for later?”

Maria, “I believe so.” An excited chuckle escaped Maria before she took in a deep breath. “So any ideas on how you'll begin training us to use magic?”

Joseph, “That's the tricky part. Most methods I know work on the assumption that the person you're teaching produces some level of mystic energy. That assumption doesn't hold true with you but is rather quite the opposite thanks to the amount of power your body demands. In order to use those methods I would need to be able to put so much energy into you that it was positively flowing out. This actually can be done I believe thanks to our earlier experiment but if we use that methods it means the only time I can teach you is after you've just eaten a huge meal. You'd end up growing.”

Maria, “That would be a problem. What about a mage hunter?”

Joseph, “I've considered it but they learn to purge magic from the environment. I wonder if the Luvarians ever develop a magic eating technique. One that doesn't require you to first be a magic user. That's what we need.”

Maria, “Why don't you go take a look instead of just watching me? If I get so hungry that I snap and have to eat something I'll let you know. I somehow doubt you setting there watching those crystals is helping anything.”

Joseph, “That's true. Okay I'll be back soon Maria. Please give this as much time as you can to see if it works. Even if this just slows down the rate at which your hunger increases that would lend support to my theory.”

Chapter 35 by happiest_in_shadows

A sigh escaped Maria as she gave a nod. “If you weren't doing this for me to begin with I would be so mad at you right now.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she closed her eyes trying to focus more on her sense of touch. “I'd better get something from my sisters for being the test subject all the time. Perhaps once your research shows results I'll be the first one to benefit from it.”

Joseph, “I'll do my best to insure that you are.”

***********************************************************************************

Joseph had been to the library of the citadel a few times now and was used to letting it guide him. So he was kind of nervous whenever he realized that he couldn't see the familiar shelves anymore. He had been following the guiding light down a long spiral stairwell past more and more ornate looking shelves. He felt his heart positively skip a beat whenever he found himself look strait at a protector who was now looking back at him. At least she was smiling as he approached her. “Um. Good day. I hope I'm not interrupting your quiet time.”

Naidra, “We have too much quiet time as is. It's nice that there has been some noise in this place.”

Joseph, “After the war with the Amalgam I don't.” Joseph found his words freezing as he looked at the grinning protector. She had just spoken to him. “What. What's going on?”

A slight chuckle escaped Naidra as she held up her hands. “Just relax. I came in order to speak with you.”

Joseph, “May I know why?”

Naidra, “The same reason that you were allowed to walk past two secured doorways. Congratulations the citadel recognizes you as a true Luvarian. This includes several perks such as gaining access to new regions of the citadel and knowledge. It also makes it impossible for us to give you the silent treatment unless you pose a clear threat to the citadel itself. We decided that it would be best if I came to speak with you before you asked something of us by accident around others.”

Joseph, “And you are.”

Naidra, “My name is Naidra and I am one of the five original faelom in every sense of the words. Now the library tells me that you're looking for information on magic eating techniques. I am first going to request that you don't share the knowledge of such techniques with the other apprentices. You see. That knowledge is restricted because it has this terrible habit of killing the unprepared and making their remains into something worse.” 

It felt like Joseph had just been kicked. He knew that some of the knowledge in the citadel was dangerous. Even more so then the alchemy he had learned before hand. So how dangerous was something the Luvarians considered in need of restricting. “Hold on a moment Naidra. You said that I'm a true Luvarian but when did that happen and how did it happen?”

Naidra, “It happened a few weeks back actually but you never came to a point to exercise your new rank. As for why. You have the knowledge required, the loyalty and now you've developed the mind of a true Luvarian. With all three of these things in place it is only natural that the citadel would accept you as one of the Luvarians.”

Joseph, “I see. What mentality is that though?”

A slight chuckle escaped Naidra. She knew Joseph wasn't going to like this next part but he couldn't deny it. His nature and the truth wouldn't allow him. “Joseph the teachings you're trying to develop for the second generation faelom. Have you considered what is going to happen if it works? How their social structure might change when they're no longer chained to this forest for food? Have you wondered what the defective faelom will do with this knowledge?”

It felt like something very heavy was settling atop Joseph. He had considered the dangers of curing the sisters of their hunger early on. As he had began to work on the issue though his attention had shifted away from such cautious thoughts and more towards the goal. He didn't even have a true idea of how powerful the sisters would become if his method worked for them. “I hadn't given it much thought. By faelom I guess you're talking about the sisters. I don't know what the distrusted will do with the knowledge if that's the ones you're talking about.”

Naidra, “Exactly! You didn't think of the ultimate outcome of your work you were so absorbed into the act of creating. That is what it means to be a Luvarian. You may be excited to know that most of the safeguards and ranks the Luvarians applied to their numbers weren't to protect the world from their works. Rather it was to keep the Luvarians from destroying themselves in the act of creating. After all if you're destroyed then you can't create anymore and that would be a shame.” As she spoke it was impossible for Naidra to keep the energy out of her voice.

Now Joseph was thinking again. One of the biggest issues he was thinking about was the distrusted. They were dangerous enough as is but what would happen whenever they were no longer bound to the forest and kept where the other sisters could keep an eye on them. How powerful would they become if his plan succeeded? Thoughts of keeping the knowledge from them entered his mind but he didn't know if that was possible. “What should I do about the distrusted?”

Naidra, “Well if I were in your position I would authorize the original faolem to begin disposal procedures outside of the citadel. It was expected that the second generation would handle such defects themselves but they have been neglectful of their duties. We would have tended to this ourselves long ago but we need permission to kill second generation faelom who haven't taken hostile action against us or stepped within the citadel even if they are defective.”

Joseph, “I can do that?”

Naidra, “They're defective products that serve no purpose. Of course we don't require much to dispose of them.”

This wasn't what Joseph had been expecting to hear. Of course he hadn't been expecting to hear anything from the protectors. A fact that seemed safer to consider then what Naidra was telling him. “So you've been able to speak this entire time?”

Naidra, “Yes. The decision to go silent was one that we made ourselves in order to protect ourselves, the second generation faelom and the apprentices. I'll make it simple. After the death of Lord Liben we continued to communicate with the apprentices and the second generations. Unfortunately they began to push for knowledge that we deemed too dangerous for them to have. When they asked us to teach them we insisted that they learn instead considering ourselves unqualified to teach such dangerous materials. We still do. That was whenever they began attempting to force the information from us using various means. When confronted with the choice of killing the aggressors or going silent we chose to go silent.”

Joseph felt himself recoil from the information bomb that Naidra had casually dropped on him. He had just met her a few minutes ago and she was already telling him more about the sister's past then even they seemed to know. “You couldn't go for some kind of middle ground?”

Naidra, “It was resolved that no middle ground would work. If we simply hurt the aggressors they may resolve that we weren't willing or worse yet unable to kill them. This could lead to even more joining their efforts. Going in the other direction of teaching them small bits of information. Well we do a poor job of resolving what is an appropriate amount of information to be taught. We feared that in our efforts to teach the apprentices we would cause their deaths. As you know magic is very dangerous if used improperly and they were desperate at the time. The probability of them using the magic recklessly and causing their own destruction was quite high.”

Joseph, “I see. But why are you telling me all of this?”

Naidra, “Like I said you were accepted by the citadel as a true Luvarian. That grants you certain rights. I'm telling you this now in hopes that you will choose to keep the fact that we can communicate a secret for a while longer. We have only just now began interaction with the second generation faelom anew and the apprentices. We're not yet certain how it will work out.”

For a moment Joseph said nothing but then gave his head a nod. “Would you harm me if I told the others that I can journey further into the citadel then them?”

Naidra, “You run the risk of becoming a tool for their goals and their purposes. Rather then being able to conduct your own experiments you would spend all your time searching for knowledge that they lack. If you want to risk this happening that is your decision.” As she spoke Naidra could tell she was making Joseph nervous. That was her objective though. “Would you like to know one of the dangers of the knowledge you're asking for now?”

Naidra was trying to frighten him. Joseph felt certain of that. She wasn't threatening him in anyway but she was trying to scare him. Yet she seemed to be telling the truth or at least talking about likely scenarios. “I believe that would be best. I can't create if I'm dead after all.”

Naidra, “It makes me happy that you don't shy away from information. The knowledge you asked for is effectively that of a magic eater. It's tricky. Typically when a mage drains energy from another mage they must first expend some of their energy. As if you're drawing water from a well. You must expend some of your energy to gain the energy. This even extends to when they increase the rate at which energy flows into themselves you're using the energy already in your body to actively pull additional resources to you. What you want to create is a downhill gradient so that the energy flows more rapidly on its own.”

Joseph, “Yes but that gradient naturally occurs as someone becomes more practiced at channeling mystic energy. As if the hill is being warn smooth by the constant flow of water.” By now Joseph was catching up to Naidra despite her pace.

Naidra, “Indeed but you don't have that here. What you're effectively trying to do is teaching someone who's very magic resistant to become even more magic resistant. Now they are two ways to do this. You saturate them with so much mystic energy that they're overwhelmed by it forcing them to adjust just to avoid being destroyed. This process is long, dangerous and costly. The second way is you put them within an energy sink that is so overwhelming that it pulls the energy out of them despite their resistance or in this case despite how the sister's naturally draw on the energy. You force them into a tug of war. They will learn to pull back against the new power drawing upon their energies. After that it's simple for them to draw more powerful from their surroundings and their own spiritual being.”

Typically whenever someone was learning to use magic with no natural attunement a mage or some other magic user would need to force some of their energy into the person. This served to awaken their bodies to the energies as if a door had been opened. It had to be done carefully or the person could be injured or killed and the person may require several attempts to truly learn to tap those energies but it was a necessary starting point. This was often one of the most difficult and time consuming parts of the teaching process. This was something similar just involving someone who naturally absorbed or resisted magic energies. “What happens if they lose the tug of war?”

Naidra, “Now that is the problem. You might be thinking that it's the connection to the spirit that would yield in such a situation resulting in the person's connection to their mystic energies being broken but it isn't. It's the body that we found tends to yield in such a situation. In the past when this happened the body lost its ability to contain certain spiritual energies which began to rapidly flow out into the environment around them. Typically the loss of these energies would result in the person's death or should have but for some reason they didn't quite die but became a sort of undead. Naturally having these energies constantly flowing out of your body isn't a pleasant existence and those who were changed began to actively seek out other sources of these energies to compensate for the constant loss. Other sentient beings were a natural choice for them.”

Jopseh, “That doesn't sound good. Such an aggressive energy flow would have poisoned the world around them even if they could retain their sense of self. With such energies constantly flowing through their bodies there had to be other changes as well.”

Naidra, “Initially they loss the ability to cast any spells that would have required a build up of energy but they could cast those that didn't continuously. It also granted them a new level of resilience. If it wasn't for the near constant pain this might have been an acceptable trade off. As they fed on others though increasing the flow of energy through their bodies the situation became worse as they changed more. In the end it was resolved that such specimens should be contained for further study. If proper containment wasn't a choice killing them was the only other choice.” 

Joseph could feel himself becoming more alarmed. The fact that he was taken Naidra's words as a fact and not doubting her hadn't really registered with him. As far as he knew the protectors were reliable beings. At least Zarena had spoken well of them. Given their abilities and how close they were to the citadel he didn't have any reason to doubt them either. “You're making this sound like a very bad idea.” It made Joseph's heart skip a beat whenever Naidra came to a sudden stop and spun around. He only realized she'd placed her right hand behind him whenever he felt its weight settling on his shoulder.

Naidra, “Of course not! It's a wonderful plan worthy of a true Luvarian! Even if you're very new to this status it's a good plan and I intend to help you implement it. I'm just letting you know the relevant information. In the past we would have simply told you what you needed to achieve your goals and expected you to understand the risks but well we learned how foolish that is a long time ago. You just need to be prepared for the dangers involved and insure that you can do what needs to be done during the development stage.”

Joseph, “By do what needs to be done. You mean if one of them loses the tug of war.”

Naidra, “Well yes.” Before continuing Naidra gave Joseph a gentle push to get him to moving once again. As he started to walk she moved her tail behind him to provide him with some constant encouragement. “I suggest you conduct the testing within the citadel where we can protect you and dispose of any that fall during the tug of war. Perhaps I spoke poorly though. Losing the tug of war doesn't guarantee a complete physical collapse. It depends on how badly they lose the battle and the faelom are very well built. This experiment was never used on them after all.”

Joseph, “Who was it used on then?”

Naidra, “Humans, elfs, orcs just about any sentient being who happened to have a very poor affinity for magic but showed combat ability. The goal was to create a branch of Luvarians to deal with certain mistakes. The project that developed the magic eaters was actually began hundreds of years before even my second birth. It was documented but the results were too lacking to proceed with it. The knowledge that was gained from it did influence other developments for centuries though it even helped in the development of my kind.”

Joseph, “I. I see. Naidra why are you talking to me like this? It feels so strange. Honestly I'm a little frightened.”

Before continuing Naidra moved her tail up and wrapped it around Joseph every so slightly. “Don't be scared. As long as you don't make any moves to destroy what remains of the Luvarians I am compelled and happy to protect you. Even the decision to assist you wasn't entirely my own but compelled by positive feed back from the citadel. Simply put when I help you a true Luvarian the citadel makes me feel pleasure. I understand this may seem strange to you but to me walking with you and talking with you is as natural as it was before the collapse. Ah here we are.”

While Joseph had been watching where he was going he realized he hadn't truly been looking. He found himself in front of a book shelf that seemed different then the ones from the library. The books it held had metal bindings and each held an extremely heavy looking lock. “Do I need a key?”

Naidra, “You have it. These books will only open for someone that has the blood of a true Luvarian. Even if they're forced they only become legible for someone with the blood as well.”

Immediately Naidra's words struck Joseph as strange. “What do you mean by blood of a Luvarian?”

Naidra, “It just means what it means. The citadel has recognized you as a true Luvarian you have walked throughout it's arteries and it has come to know you thus you have the blood of a Luvarian. In time you will begin to feel the citadel's presence and know it as a living being rather then the structure you see it as now. Then you can begin to progress towards further understanding of its nature. Hopefully in time you will speak to the citadel as we do.” As she was speaking Naidra had retrieved two other books and handed them to Joseph. She knew of other books that were relevant to his question but worried she would overwhelm him if she fed him too much knowledge too quickly.

Joseph, “What?”

It was impossible for Naidra to keep from chuckling as she turned to face Joseph. “Joseph this citadel is one of the masterwork of the Luvarians. A womb from which to give birth to new life, new ideas and even new magic. The walls may look to be stone but do you see any chips or scratches? The glow of the lanterns never fade and the floor is never tarnished. Didn't you notice it during the studies of the faelom? There is no blood on the floor or tables the next day. Do you truly believe your cleaning is that thorough?”

Joseph, “I thought the protectors maintained the citadel.”  Joseph could feel his heart rate speeding up. He had seen the protectors tending to the citadel but the way Naidra was speaking it sounded like the citadel was alive.

Naidra, “Naturally we help the citadel in its healing We patch the wounds as you might cover an injury with a bandage but the citadel truly heals itself. It isn't a flower or tree though. The citadel is an animal and more then that. You just haven't reached the point where you can hear the voice or understand it. Perhaps you won't. It all depends on how you advance but I do hope that you will continue to do so. Now Joseph I have a request. Please guide the second generation faelom back to us as best you can. We would like to speak to our siblings once again

Joseph, “How am I suppose to do that?”

Naidra, “Continue what you have been doing. Help them to grow as a people. That and convince them to kill the defective models or give me authorization to do it. We really need to remove that problem before they make off with one of your seeds or something else. If they get out of the forest and we have to track them down it'll be no end of trouble. Now how about we get you back to your faelom companion before she begins to miss you?”

End Book six.

Chapter 36 by happiest_in_shadows

“I'm beginning to see the draw backs to coming to this place.” As Maria walked alongside Joseph she was glad that she could smell him again. The fact that the citadel tended to make it nearly impossible to track someone by scent hadn't truly upset her before. She was certain Joseph was safe there. That had been before he had started making such regular visits. The fact that he had become extremely mobile while there didn't help the situation. Three weeks of her arriving to visit him or take him home and she had learned to detest it whenever she couldn't track him down.

“You know you can just ask the citadel to guide you to me using a terminal.”  Joseph hadn't told Maria yet that he was moving beyond the secure regions to do his research into the body of the sister's. It wasn't that he didn't want to tell her but rather the protectors didn't want him to tell her. Apparently there was little they could do should he tell Maria about them but he was trying to be respectful of their desires. If such behavior was in line with what the Luvarians of old would have done or not wasn't clear to him yet. They were being accommodating as well. The protectors would warn him whenever Maria came looking for him and even tended to guide him to her.

“I know but that just feels so wrong. I don't know how you stand to rely on such systems to guide you. Well I guess having limited hearing and a weak sense of smell doesn't give you much of a choice. Anyway. Tell me what you discovered today?” As she spoke Maria was actually holding back her excitement. Joseph had her completely convinced that sisters could learn to manipulate mystic energies. This meant that they should be able to learn to increase the flow of energy into their body through the proper conditioning. She still wasn't sure how much energy this actually was but she was eager to find out and hear about it.

“I don't believe the Luvarians designed your bodies so you wouldn't be able to use magic. At least I don't believe it's even remotely likely anymore. I just don't believe they gave your ability to use magic any thought. They had a list of criteria they wanted to meet and put all their effort into meeting those criteria. Fortunately a lot of your body is still based on that of a human. Except well you have a few organs that do a few things that ours don't and that we don't have in two cases. You knew that though. The issue is figuring out how this different body design influences your ability to use magic.”

“What about feeding me so much that I'm positively overflowing and trying to teach me during those times? I really liked that plan!” Maria couldn't help but smile as they made their way out of the citadel. Bending down she outstretched her arms towards Joseph but rather then picking him up she waited for him to walk into her arms. He stepped into her arms without a moments hesitation and indeed it seemed like the move had become so routine that he did it without thinking.

“I had hoped we could go that path as well but then I considered how much you might grow and the risk involved. Until I know more and have an idea of how long it's going to take to condition you to learn magic I just can't go that path.” Even as he spoke Joseph found himself thinking about Naidra and her help. He was no longer planning on putting energy into the sisters to teach them to direct magic into themselves. He was going to put them in an environment in which that energy was drawn out of them. They would need to learn to resist such influences. Once that was done they could apply most of the same techniques into directing more energy into their bodies. This could easily be as unpleasant to a sister as eating was pleasant though.

As she was carrying Joseph Maria easily observed the changes in his body. Something about what they were talking about had him down. “Joseph did you run into a problem? I know you said that we were about ready to begin a week ago was there a delay?”

“No. No delays. Depending on your definition of almost ready.”

“I'm going to start requiring a time estimate from you if that's how you're going to talk.” As the words left her mouth they were followed a sharp giggle from Maria. “Joseph is the food about ready yet? Almost. Could I get an estimated time of completion on that? Joseph are you about done bathing yet? Almost. Could I get an estimated time of completion on that? I need to know if there is enough time for me to join you and enjoy myself. Joseph are you ready for sex yet?”

“I believe that last one would be going way too far!” Despite the energy he put into his voice Joseph couldn't help but grin as he felt himself squeezed more firmly against Maria's body.

“You're probably right about that. The way you were speaking earlier it sounded like you already had something in mind. Could you give me an idea what's causing the delay?”

“It's mostly safeguard related. Namely it's very hard to make safeguards with how much I know about your bodies. Then once I find the information I need making adjustments to the process can be quite an issue. I've actually had to abandon a few concepts and start over a few times. I don't want to risk causing you any permanent damage either mental or physical.”

“Wow that sounds a lot different from just feeding me a lot and trying to teach me like any other magic student.”

“Well you and your sisters are quite a special case.”

“Thanks. That's such a sweet way of saying we're difficult to work with. Now before we go home do you have enough energy to stop by and visit with Maria and Dan? I want to peek in on little Dremera.”

“That sounds nice. Are you sure Mina won't mind? She seemed rather insistent about Dremera's privacy and the last I heard she wasn't exactly being welcoming to anymore visitors.” As he spoke Joseph had a very good idea of why Mina would take such grounds. With so many sisters wanting to take a peek at little Dremera they had to deal with quite a few guest over the last few days. Letting Mina deliver in the citadel had helped but it was inevitable that news of the young girl's birth would get out eventually. He had been surprised whenever Mina had chosen to take Dremera out of the citadel but she had been insistent that such a sterile environment wasn't good for a young sister who needed get out and smell the world.

“That's one of the advantages to being close to the family. Besides I want to see if she's prepared to return to the citadel yet.”

“Huh? Did you hear something?”

“I was talking to my mom a bit about it earlier. Mina's a first time mother and this is really her first time dealing with how destructive a newborn sister can be. She seemed rather certain that Mina would be begging to go back to the citadel once Dremera had nearly turned their wall into splinters. Did you notice the corner the last time we were there?”

“I'm afraid I didn't. Why?”

“Mina covered it up a bit but it looked like Dremera had nearly clawed through it.”

***********************************************************************************

“Dremera let daddy's clothes go. Dreamera that's being naughty. Come on honey let them go.” As she spoke Mina was dealing with quite a situation. Dremera had managed to not only escape from her crib but she had managed to get hold of one of Dan's nicer sets of pants. Using physical force to take away the clothing would have been easy but it would have destroyed them as well. Currently Dremera had both hands and feet wrapped around the right pants leg in a death lock. Her little claws were just extended insuring that any use of physical force should shred the garment and her eyes were focused on Mina's. “You don't want to destroy more of your daddy's clothes do you?”

Dremera moved the clothing lightly between her hands enjoying the soft texture. She could smell the scent of her father. It had been that scent that brought her to his clothes in the first place. At first she'd just been curious about them but after giving the clothes a few smacks she'd noted how the flowed about. The more she smacked them the more they moved and the more they moved the more she wanted to smack them. Now her mommy had come to play with her. Dremera knew better then to let go of the clothing or start smacking them around now. If she did there would be no way she could get them back from her mommy. Even mommy's tail teasing the side of her face wouldn't convince her to release them as she began to growl lightly.

“I'm beginning to see why some sisters believe it's a bad idea to have a mate living with you and a child at the same time. Come on wouldn't you prefer to play with your mommy's tail instead of those old pants?” As she spoke Mina continued to flick her tail lightly against Dremera hoping that it would tempt the child to release the clothing. Even if it just meant releasing her hands at least that would diminish the damage to the pants. Unfortunately Deremera seemed to be onto that trick. What could she offer Dremera that she'd like more then her father's clothes? Given that Mina had made it clear she wasn't allowed to play with those she doubted anything other then food. Toys that you weren't allowed to play with always seemed to be the most fun.

Could she leave the room in order to retrieve Dremera a treat? Given how rapidly a young sister could shred something Mina was rather worried. “Okay you just hold onto daddy's pants and mommy will pack you into the kitchen.” The fact that Dremera continued to growl and extended her claws further as Mina lifted her up actually worried her quite a bit. If she decided to use those claws now then Dan's pants wouldn't be recoverable. She couldn't let this continue to drag on though as she began to carry Dremera towards the dining room. “Come on in Maria. Dremera is just being a handful right now.”

“So I heard.” As she spoke Maria was already stepping inside followed shortly by Joseph. She still liked to keep him near whenever he was around Dremera. She hadn't even began to learn to be careful yet and her claws were already sharp enough to open up a human quite easily.

Mina, “Do you smell someone else Dremera? Who are you smelling? It's not daddy.” As she spoke Mina was quite hopeful that Maria and Joseph would provide her the distraction she needed. The site of Dremera's claws loosening up help to bolster these thoughts. Unfortunately the young girl seemed to realize what was happening and once again locked the clothing down while looking at her mother. “I wonder if my mother ever went through the same thing with me. Okay would you like. Oh blast it all if only I could have done more hunting. Let's see. We have some fish left. Would Dremera like some fish?” As she spoke Mina was already holding the food in front of Dremera's face in hopes that she would choose it over the clothing.

Maria, “Mina I'm sure my mom told you that rewarding such behavior is dangerous.”

“I know I know but Maria. She's already destroyed so many of Dan's clothes. With all the repairs going on and the destruction of the market area we just can't get them replaced either. It doesn't help that these are some of his more comfortable ones. He likes to wear them whenever he really needs to focus on his work or plans to be setting for a while. Oh come on baby just let mommy have Daddy's pants back. Would you like some tusker meat instead? I know that it isn't the freshest but.” As she was speaking Mina noted Dremera's attention suddenly turning. It was fairly clear at a glance that the young girl wasn't focused on Maria but instead was looking directly at Joseph. She couldn't waist her chance.

Joseph felt more then a little silly. His face was bright red and it was taking all the willpower her had to keep from covering it up. He'd just given his best version of a tuskers charging scream. The one he had first heard whenever Maria had saved him before. He had hoped that it would be enough to distract Dremera. The fact that she and Dan's pants were suddenly separated made it worthwhile. He was quite surprised whenever he heard a sudden and sharp hiss from Dremera as she looked strait at him and then towards her mother.

Maria, “Oh my! Someone is angry about being tricked.” Even as she was speaking Maria found herself having to fight to hold in her laughter. Between the strange sound she'd heard from Joseph and Dremera's response this was proving quite difficult. At least Mina seemed to be happy now that she had Dan's pants. “I don't know if I'll ever be able to leave you alone with Dremera after that one Joseph. I think I saw murder in her eyes.”

“So did I. How are the clothes Mina?”

“They seem to be in good condition thanks to you. Oh.” As she spoke Mina draped Dan's pants across her tail and was now using both hands to tend to Dremera who had began struggling to get lose. If it was to go after Joseph or take hold of the pants again she didn't know but she wasn't going to find out. “I swear this was so much easier in the citadel. She never seemed to wonder off there and it sure felt like she was sleeping more. Ever since I brought her home she's constantly going after either Dan or Dan's belongings. I've actually started having him carry a few things that Dremera can play with on himself throughout the day.”

Maria, “How is that working out?”

“It was going fine though as you can see there are limits. I'm really thinking of returning to the citadel.”

Joseph, “I'm sure Dan would be happy about that. He didn't seem to think you should leave in the first place.”

“I know. I just didn't think it was good for Dremera to be in such a sterile environment. She needs to be in a place where she can really use her nose you know? I just wish she'd stop using it to track down everything that is delicate and belongs to her father.” Even as she was speaking Mina found herself using her left hand to wrestle with the still struggling Dremera. It was fairly clear that her daughter was upset about having the pants taken away from her. “Oh but it's has been so hard to get any sleep since we left there! Having so many sisters busy with the restructuring means I don't have many that can help me either.”

Maria, “Just think my mother had to deal with this twice.”

“She is a far stronger woman then I am.” A slight giggle escaped Mina as she noted the rather angry look Dremera was giving her. Unfortunately letting the young girl attack her fingers didn't seem to be resolving the situation. “I just worry so much that being in an environment that is so empty of scent wouldn't be good for a growing sister. I know there was all that talk about how the Luvarians raised the first sisters there but I'm sure many Luvarians were coming by to see them.”

Maria, “Mina. You know that excuse isn't right. If you was to just give the brothers and sisters permission to come by and see Dremera she would be introduced to plenty of scents. I understand wanting your daughter to be raised in the same loving environment you were though.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina despite the scolding. “Your mother told me the same thing. Now I just need Dan to call me on my bull and I'll probably have been scolded enough to listen. I do not look forward to telling him that Dremera was into his clothes again especially after I assured him I would keep her out of them.”

Maria, “Do you think he'll scold you?”

“No! That is kind of the problem. He so quiet about it and I hate to see him wearing damaged clothing especially in bad weather.” By now Mina had made her way back into the setting room and settled down with her daughter. Dan's pants remained atop her tail well outside of Dremera's reach who seemed to be growing increasingly frustrated with the situation. “I'm going to speak with him whenever he's brought back about returning to the citadel.”

Maria, “You know I bet my mother could give you some tips about taking care of a young sister.”

“She has. It's just a bit harder for me to do what she said. Plus she didn't have to worry about her mates clothing being destroyed. I swear though little Dremera seems just to be drawn to anything that smells like her father. I've heard some other sisters talk about their newborns but I've never heard of one quite this determined.”

Joseph, “I bet it isn't just Dan is it Dremera. Your daddy works with all those reagents all day anymore and he must smell really nice to you.”

Mina, “Do you believe that's what it is Joseph?”

“I have no idea.” As he was speaking Joseph had been moving closer to Dremera now that it was clear Mina had her. The fact that the young girl still seemed to be sending him death threats with her eyes made him a little nervous though. “Young sisters don't hold grudges until they're adolescents do they? She still looks. Oh! She hissed. She's still mad at me.”

It was impossible for Mina to keep from laughing as she noted Joseph take a few steps backwards. “Give her some time. She'll be plenty fond of you in time. Once you stop being the mean person who helped take away her toy and start being the person who makes the funny sounds. Isn't that right my grumpy sweet heart? Come on over Joseph and give her head a little rub if you don't mind. I'll make sure she can't open you up.”

“Won't that just make her angrier?”

Perhaps but that's something she's going to have to learn to deal with.”

***********************************************************************************

“I looked in on Julia to see how she's doing as far as her new training habits. I'm impressed by how badly she wants this. She's always been dutiful in showing that she's worthy of being considered a sister but now that she has a clear objective in mind she's reached an entirely new level. I'm a little worried that she's going to burn herself out with the level of dedication she's showing but I'm better suited to evaluate the condition of ones body rather then the long term workings of the mind.” As she spoke Vera quickly moved Mira's arm to the side and delivered three very sharp punches to her side. Typically Vera would have used her claws for this but she was trying to avoid doing serious damage. The pain of Mira's face told her that had been enough.

It had only been a few weeks since training with Vera had began and Mira had been showing improvement. Which unfortunately did not mean that Vera was going easier on her. If anything she had began going harder on all her students as they had obtained the ability to take the hits. She also knew the talk of Julia was meant to motivate her or distract her. Mira really didn't know which one it was. It seemed to have both effects as she managed to slip free of Vera's grip. “Are you sure it's discipline she's showing and just not a really intense desire to hit someone.”

Even Vera was made to chuckle as she noted the importance that Mira put on hit someone as she easily evaded her attacks. So far she had worked on conditioning the bodies of her students and even given them some combat training. They were doing better at hunting for openings in their opponents defense but they were still leaving too many openings on themselves. This was naturally though given that sisters typically had far more practice attacking then defending. They were so few things in the forest that could actually harm them they had little reason to develop their defense. A sharp strike to Mira's hand and Vera had it locked in place as she looked strait into her eyes. “You hesitated right there Mira and it allowed me to stop your attack. If we were truly fighting I would have taken this chance to counter. You can't let the fear of being hit slow down your attack.”

“Does that mean I'm allowed to fear being hit so long as I don't hesitate in the attack?” While she'd been working with Vera Mira had learned that she did have a sense of humor. The fact that Vera was grinning told her that. Mira did find herself worrying that grin was because Vera liked hitting others rather then the joke she'd told though.

“For now that will do. As you gain confidence in yourself that fear should vanish.”

“I had confidence in myself then someone punched it out of me!”

“Well that confidence wasn't justified then was it?” As she spoke Vera chose to release Mira without delivering another hit. She would give her a few more chances to deliver her attack properly. It was important to remember that if she went too hard on Mira then the lesson would have to end early and all she would have is a beat up student instead of a better educated one. She was a bit surprised whenever she felt the fur on Vera's fist tickle her nose a moment later. The attack had been fast and certain enough that Vera had to openly evade rather then counter.

“Blast it!” It had been there for a brief moment. Mira had seen an opening and went for it with all the strength she could manage. Unfortunately her arm was still hurting from all the attacks it'd taken and she hadn't been able to get her full power into it. She had been so certain that she'd finally managed to land a solid hit on Vera that she couldn't hide her frustration whenever she dodged.

“That was good Mira. You're learning at an impressive rate but then again that's one of the reasons I chose you. Pretty soon you're going to know the basics well enough that I can have you begin showing others how to get started.” As she spoke Vera truly wished that she could say the same for all of her students but with only a few weeks instructions it was amazing Mira was already ready. Maria seemed like she would take several months due to issues with her speed. She was more likely to put a sister on the ground then to demonstrate a proper attack.

“You mean sparring?”

“Oh no. I'm only teaching you the proper way to hit now we haven't even began to study control yet. I mean proper exercise techniques. Our bodies are so strong relative to their size that as you know we have to become inventive if we want to strengthen our muscles. You can also demonstrate attacks but I don't want to hear about you sparring with anyone. You're moving into the area that you're more likely to seriously injure someone then teach them anything.” This time Vera was ready whenever Mira tried to attack her. She chose to evade as she had done before but kept the movement subtle enough that she could have attacked Mira if she wanted to.

“Now how do you know I've learned the proper way to hit if I never manage to hit you? Sure my attacks could look correct but do they feel correct?” Mira couldn't help but grin as Vera began to openly laugh. Since she had began teaching them Mira had spoken with Vera a lot more then usual and was learning more about her sense of humor each time they sparred. She had quickly learned that it tended to deviate rather on the violent side of things though not cruel. Given what she had learned from Vera she was actually rather glad that it wasn't cruel. “So what do you think of the matrons training together?”

“It's an extremely frustrated efforts due to some of their weapons. They have to be careful in who they choose to train with to avoid critically injuring one of their own. Sora has it particularly rough given that she remained the smallest of the matrons in order to better make use of her body's adaptations. Due to that their progress is astoundingly slow. I fear that it may take many years for them to truly develop a respectable fighting stance.”

“Really? I was thinking Sora might be onto something. Apparently she began training with Zarena. Maria told me about it.”

Since she had began teaching Mira Vera had learned what an excellent source of local information she could be. She was actually rather surprised to learn that Sora had taken up learning from Zarena. Though she wasn't surprised by Mira's kick and gave the limb a sharp strike in passing. It had been a while since she'd delivered a hit to Mira and she still needed to be better conditioned to endure pain without relying on rage to numb it. “Well that is someone she doesn't have to worry about harming in the least. Do you have any idea as to how they're training together though? Zarena's eyes should make it nearly impossible for Sora to sneak up on her.”

“I'm not sure. I know that there is some physical training involve. I guess Zarena sort of uses her fingers to provide the resistant Sora needs to exercise her body. She's probably also showing Sora the same methods of movement she's been showing to my sister. They are all three lighter builds. It's kind of unfair. We need to wake up a sleeper with a moderate build for us.”

“Hm using a sleeper has a form of exercise equipment. I wonder if we should start talking to the matrons about doing something similar for us. I can just imagine them telling us to first reach Kersara's level then come back and speak to them. I wonder how the sisters she's began teaching on the water front are doing.” As she spoke Vera was moving in closer to Mira. It was clearly making Mira nervous as she was retreating without being hit. Clearly this was going to be a problem. The sisters weren't used to hunting things that could do them serious harm on a regular basis. They weren't mentally conditioned to avoid flinching.

“Oh no!” As she spoke Mira could feel her heart beat speeding up. She recognized the look that Vera was giving her and she didn't like it. This was Vera's first time teaching several students and thus was a learning experience for her as well. Unfortunately for her students whenever Vera came to a realization it often meant something unpleasant for  them. It was amazing and upsetting how many times Mira had seen that thoughtful expression on Vera's face.

“What?”

“You just thought of something and it's probably going to end up hurting me!” The fact that Vera's grin seemed to go from friendly to evil didn't help the situation. Whenever Vera was happy she tended to keep her mouth closed. Whenever she thought of something amusing and tended to include suffering for others though her smile became far more toothy. It was as if her predator nature and her sense of humor had been stimulated at the same time. Given how the lessons often changed whenever Vera had such moments Mira believed that was the case.

“If you're going to be teach future students Mira I have to make sure the lessons are as complete and effective as possible. I know that's rough but it is my responsibility and it's one I take very seriously.” As she spoke Vera couldn't help but imagine what would happen whenever Mira and her fellow students began to teach students of their own. The entire community was going to pay for assigning her this task in time and that's something that Vera found very amusing. “I wonder if we're going to find any truly remarkable sisters. Those with a truly remarkable gift for combat that simply wasn't developed before.”

***********************************************************************************

“I told you that it was more complete then you thought.” As she spoke Zarena smiled down at Pera who was currently standing at the tip of her index finger of her right hand which was now fully extended and slightly lifted. This gave Pera a far more complete view of the village and the progress of their repairs. “I first noticed how fast our progress was whenever I realized I could no longer walk in a few places that I could before. I wish that you would have made the paths just a little bigger.”

“We made it big enough that the matrons would be comfortable walking around town even if they grew again though! If we make it much bigger we're going to end up taking to much of the forest but. I guess that might happen eventually. Hey Zarena what would we do if we all ended up as large as you?” As she spoke Pera turned away from the town and looked up at the massive sleeper. The question seemed strange to her. Their town never really seemed to grow or shrink. The sisters were very long lived and strong but their reproductive rate was just so slow they seemed to counter balance one another. What would happen if they became even stronger though?

“I imagine that some of us would have to leave. I believe if that happened and we were no longer chained to the forest I'd like to go on a journey.”

“Where to?”

A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as Pera took a few steps closer to her palm and she began to pull her arm in a bit. The question wasn't funny but she felt strange about the answer. “I want to go look for the other Luvarian strongholds and see if anything else of them remained. We've endured for this long perhaps some of their other constructs have as well. This is only one of their workshops after all and it's very much based on the natural world. Have you ever wondered if they were others that are based on other things such as the elements?”

“Oh that could be neat! Do you believe there could be a fire version of us or perhaps a wind version? I wonder what they've been doing if they are.”

“I'm not sure. They might be trapped or chained like we are. If that is the case perhaps we could try to find a way to free them. I was going to say it'd be nice if we could bring them back here but given that the idea is we're spreading out I suppose that wouldn't work. Of course, a few of us could always relocate there and help them to begin developing like we did if they want to. I'm a little concerned that I might find something that shouldn't have been released though or perhaps they don't want to be free.”

“That sounds like fun Zarena. You'd also get to see the humans and the orcs that live outside of the forest. I heard Joseph talking to Maria a few times about how this or that is different in the world outside of the forest. He seemed really surprised whenever Maria showed him the average height of a forest orc as well. Hey Zarena you were around a long time ago did you get to see many outsiders?”

“Oh yes! But it wasn't in the good way that you're hoping about. Remember I was born shortly before the second great collapse. We had so many groups pushing to take our forest from us or just destroy it. If our brothers wouldn't have been able to defend themselves at that time then a lot of the forest would have been destroyed in the fighting. It was an ugly time and it was those events that made us resolve that we needed a weapon powerful enough to insure no such threat would arise again. At the time I sure didn't expect to become one of those weapons.”

“The great collapse?”

“Ah. A term that is a little before your time. The first great collapse was whenever the Luvarians crumbled as an organization. The second was whenever we lost our leader and our primary source of energy. I'm just glad that the events with that amalgam didn't become a third great collapse. Who knows perhaps this will be the great revitalization in time.” As she spoke Zarena once again turned her attention towards the village. They were rebuilding their homes bigger and stronger then before to accommodate a new age. They had a new energy supply whose full potential wasn't even close to being tapped she imagined and they were reawakening to important lessons from the past. It sure felt like she was looking at a time of rebirth.

“Do you think one great revitalization will be enough to undo two great collapses?”

For a moment Zarena said nothing but gave a slight hum to let Pera know that she was thinking. She didn't know if the life bloom would serve as an equal energy source to what they had before but it sure seemed to have a lot of potential. “That really depends on you, your sisters and your brothers Pera. If the lessons stick and you continue to build upon them I believe that it may indeed undo both collapses which is kind of funny. If this one stronghold became as powerful as the entire Luvarian organization of old I'm sure our creators would be delighted.”

“Hey what about you! I know they're a few changes that you have liked. What about you learning?” As she spoke Pera had moved from Zarena's finger to her palm. The fact that she could easily stand on Zarena's palm did nothing to hinder her opinion. She had simply become too comfortable with Zarena being around. The fact that Zarena was quite friendly in most situations had helped with this a great deal.

“We're talking about years and decades of change Pera. I'm going to be asleep again before too long.”

“You keep saying that and I know that's how we used to do things but I just don't see it happening. I mean. There hasn't even been talk in the town about you going back to sleep or how we could use the energy from the life bloom if you were asleep. The only mention I've heard of it is actually whether or not the new system is getting all of it can out of the life bloom. Oh! Well that and sense we're already building so much there has been a lot of talk about converting more space into rooms to grow the bloom. That's actually been a really common topic. I mean the one garden we have has turned out so well why don't we grow another one? Then there has been talk about creating a bloom that doesn't have fruit but simply draws in energy. That's not very popular though as I think most of us prefer eating the fruit.” As she spoke Pera couldn't help the energy in her voice.

“I. I see. So the life bloom grows that fast?”

“Very fast! It's remarkable how Joseph was able to go from having seeds to trees in such a short period of time. The only real fear is that if the bloom was released into the forest it could cause irreversible damage. Oh that's been talked about a lot as well! One of the favorite solutions to that is trying to develop the fruit so that the seeds are very fragile. That way even if a seed is released into the wild it won't survive long enough to produce a tree. There is also talk about developing the tree so that its bark is very weak so that insect life could easily kill it. Right now we're really careful to make sure we give the seeds back. I remember once a sister miss placed an entire packet of seeds. Oh you should have seen all of them sniffing around trying to find them!” As she was speaking Pera couldn't help the energy that was sinking into her voice. She didn't notice that she was speaking faster either.

“Pera. Pera!” Zarena couldn't help but chuckle as Pera gave a slight jump the second time. Apparently she'd startled the girl. “Thank you. Well that sure is interesting. So have you spoken to your brothers about developing these new trees?”

“A few of us tried once. Apparently they placed their hands on the books and papers on their desk then gave the sisters that were asking them a strange look. We um haven't asked sense. We sort of set a rough date for the next time we're going to run the idea by them again.”

“When is that?”

“When the stack of papers they have to work on is down to half of what it was the first time we asked.”

Zarena gave a sharp jerk almost immediately and pressed her lips tight together. Immediately she realized there might be a problem and was made to be grateful she wasn't holding onto Nathan as she rapidly bent at the knees and lowered her hand towards the ground. The fact that she found her body shaking with increasing intensity only made her more certain she needed to set Pera and herself down. 

The fact that Zarena felt the need to set her down before she burst into laughter actually made Pera laugh as well. Though she could only imagine what her brothers and sisters were thinking at the moment. Zarena was quite obvious to everyone and to see her doubling over with laughter probably made more then a few curious. It was enough to make Pera wonder what it would look like to see another sleeper awake. It was one thing to have Zarena around as an individual but what would it feel like to have several sleepers out and about? Given the damage Zarena did to the forest by herself she doubted they could all stay in it. As they woke up would they begin relocating to the waterfront? There was a fair bit of space there that didn't concern them. There was also the outer edges of the forest.

Much like Pera Zarena knew that everyone could see her laughing. She didn't mind that though. She was used to being quite visible whenever she was awake at this point. “Okay that was a good one.” A sigh escaped Zarena as she settled down. “I'm sure that they'll appreciate your consideration during their time of hardship.”

“They had better! Hey Zarena what are you going to do once things have calmed down and don't start talking about going to sleep again.”

“That is a bit of a tough one. I can't roam the forest like the wrest of you that would cause too much damage. That said I don't like the idea of simply laying in my room all day. If I was going to do that I might as well be asleep. I believe the best thing for me to do would be go to the outer edge of the forest of course my presence might end up stirring up some of our neighbors.  I could go to the water front and begin working on building myself a home there.”

“How would you do that?”

“Well first I would need to find a good spot and start gathering stone. They would need to be large enough that I wouldn't have to worry about them being washed away either. Eventually I could set my own island up just on the outside of the forest. Building that should take long enough to keep me busy for a very long time. Then again perhaps I should make it large enough for some of the other sleepers as well.”

“Where would you get that much rock!”

“The ocean is vast and deep Pera even at my size. I'm sure I could collect enough stone. Of course, there is the issue of it being crushed under my weight. I would need to make sure I'm compacting it and not dispersing it.” As she spoke Zarena turned her head towards the path she'd been using to go from the beach to the village. “I would also need to find a new way to keep clean. I swear getting myself washed up after all that salt water has dried in my fur is difficult. It takes a lot more water then I'd like as well.”

“Your size can make things a bit difficult can't it?”

“Oh goodness yes. Nathan was talking to me about using a technique my brother developed to make a book for me that I could still enjoy. I hope he succeeds as one of the worse things about becoming a sleeper was no longer being able to read. Well worse as far as day to day comforts. These hands of mine just can't grasp delicate paper with any real functionality.”

“Did you ever trying reading a normal book as a sleeper?” 

“I tried a few times while I was still growing. As my hands became larger I shifted from using my finger tips to turn the pages to using my claws. Now keep in mind back then my claws were perfectly normal. Now whenever I scratch something or give it a little nick it seems to begin falling apart. Even now I could still use my claws to turn the pages but it is so difficult and some of the book would end up being damage.”

“What about reading it?”

“Pera for me seeing isn't like you standing atop my head and looking around.” As Zarena spoke she shifted her setting position and leaned forward so that she brought her face and more importantly her eyes closer to Pera. “You see these great big eyes in my head? These things collect a lot of light. I don't know the finer details of it but my brother said that all that light and all the light receptors in my eyes influence how well I can see despite my scale. So I had no trouble reading the books which comes in handy. The mystic book he made for me tends to show things in relatively small letters. Then again given that he knew how my eyes worked I suppose he knew I wouldn't have trouble reading it.”

“So can you see even further then us?”

“Indeed I can. Oh goodness now you have me thinking about my brother again. He spent so much time with me whenever I was growing into a sleeper. Unfortunately not all of it was emotional or family oriented. At times I felt like a test subject. Then he would say or do something and that feeling would go away. One of the most insulting things he ever said was this. For you to be able to process all the information your larger eyes and greater number of skin cells are sending you your brain must be changing as well to handle all the new information. So why aren't you becoming any smarter?” Despite the insulting nature of the comment Zarena couldn't help but chuckle the fact that Pera seemed to burst into laughter seconds later only added to it.

“He really said that!”

“Yes he did! I couldn't believe it at the time. I don't believe it was his intentions but I never expected him to call me stupid. Then again he was just awful for that. He would be trying to explain this or that and he'd make you feel dumb. It became even worse whenever he was trying to be understanding or comforting. He was just awful!”

“Given an example!” As she spoke Pera found herself practically bouncing with excitement. After how Zarena had spoken of her brothers magic abilities Pera had began thinking of him as some superb example of what the brothers should be. To hear that he was actually quite flawed had her excited on many levels.

“Which one to tell is the problem! Okay let me think for a moment I don't want to make him out to be mean. He really was trying to help but the way he tended to say things. Okay one of the brothers was trying to conjure a sort of living flame. It was to be imbued with just enough life so that it would be sustained and could chase a target for a few moments. Except he did it wrong and the flames came after him. Before it could reach him though my brother had thrown up a wall of ice stopping the flames. He then rushed over to the brother and began looking him over. Now the first thing out of his mouth where. What were you doing using magic so far beyond someone of your ability? He didn't stop at just saying beyond your ability he said it as so far beyond. Oh and let me see if I can get this right. So far! No. That's not quite right.” As Zarena repeated the words so far she found herself struggling to make herself sound more judgmental. Each time it seemed to fall so far short of her brother.

“Was he like that with everyone?”

“Yes he was.”

“Wow. Most of our brothers are always so polite to us.” As she spoke Pera found herself thinking back to what her mother had taught her. She had been raised to be kind and considerate to her brothers. That she shouldn't pick on them especially if they had no means of picking back. The only reason she got away with picking on Allen was they were such close friends. At the same time brothers were raised to never provoke a sister. After all in a brief moment of anger they could end up killing a brother. “Did any sister ever try to hit him?”

“None to my knowledge. I'm sure that several of them thought about hitting him quite a lot with what he put them through at the citadel but none of them ever tried.”

“So he wasn't worried about making a sister angry?”

“Of course not. He wasn't worried about making anyone angry whenever he was speaking the truth. Even if there was a much better way for the truth to be spoken.” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena though she did notice an odd expression on Pera's face. “Oh for goodness sakes. Are you about to tell me that your brothers are raised to be polite so they don't end up angering you?”

“Well it wouldn't take much for a sister to kill a brother. Just a brief moment of anger and something could happen that everyone would regret.” Pera found herself feeling a little worried as she heard Zarena sigh though her smile hadn't vanished yet. She hoped that meant she wasn't too angry with what she'd just been told.

“Pera that is an absolutely horrible line of reasoning. I'm going to find out whenever the keepers are going to get together again and have a few words with them about that as well. You say they should be nice because you might lose yourself in a moment of anger. You should learn to control yourself because that kind of attitude could cause you to miss out on something important. Sure my brother was blunt, judgmental, brutal, inconsiderate and a bit of a bully at times whenever he spoke but he was always honest. Honesty isn't always polite but it needs to be heard. I swear I wonder if there ever were any incidents in which a sister lost control of herself and killed or injured a brother.”

“A few that I know of.” As the words left her mouth Pera was a bit relieved to see that Zarena was maintaining her calm. She had just said that she didn't like the truth being softened though. “So what would you have done in such a situation?”

“It depends a bit.” For a moment Zarena went silent as she placed her hand against her forehead. The notion that the brothers were raised to be polite out of fear of what a sister might do while angry was making her head hurt. Fear of ones sister should never be the reason for a brother's actions. “We would need to find out if he was intentionally provoking her or if he was simply being honest. No matter what she would be in trouble though. If someone can bend you with their words so easily you have a problem. The difference would be whether or not the murdering sister was executed herself or forced to do acts of compensation to the community. Well I believe that's what would have happened. It never did happen though.”

“Then what would a sister do if a brother was provoking her?”

“Oh lots of things. Provoke him back, ignore him, if she felt it was justified she'd hit him or even beat the day lights out of him. It's what happened with other sisters at times as well. We were pretty stressed in those early days and some people like to run their mouth sister and brother alike. Of course typically the keepers would resolve such issues before they reached that point.”

The casual tone with which Zarena talked about a sister hitting a brother actually surprised Pera. When she considered it though it fit. The brothers of Zarena's time were active allies in combat and in day to day activities. They were viewed as being on a more even level. “How did the sisters avoid killing the brothers whenever they hit them though?”

“It's just self control there was nothing special to it. I'm really worried about the idea that you've conditioned your brothers to not anger you though. I'm worried about how you would respond to anger now. I'm just not certain how to test your self control and compare it to the sisters of my time. Well that gives me something to think about. How do I induce rage in an individual sister to see how she responds to the anger? Well actually I guess the best thing to do would be to learn a bit more about what's been happening. So Pera when have you been made really angry?”

Now Pera was feeling rather nervous. She wasn't frightened by Zarena but she did believe she'd opened a door that she shouldn't have opened. Zarena would have learned about such cultural changes in time but it sure felt like she'd been the one to awaken her to a lot of them. “I think the others are going to start not letting me talk to you sense I seem to always show you something else to be upset about.”

“Ha! If they tried that I would come to get you. That just means they're hiding something they know is wrong.”

***********************************************************************************

“So you believe that your glyph is complete?” As Naidra looked at Joseph's paper she noted not only the different symbols used to make the glyph but the fact that it required four different types of inc. He had clearly shown what regions should be made using what type of inc and most importantly how the incs should be mixed together at the connecting sections. She had scolded him a few days back for not taking the transition points into consideration only for him to seem confused. Fortunately he had quickly realized how important the blending of the incs at these points where. “You seem to have taken my criticism well.”

“Is that your way of saying the design looks good?” The fact that Naidra didn't respond right away but continued to look over his work worried Joseph. Every time he had prepared a glyph to show her she had pointed out something that was wrong with it. He was grateful to her though. As each time she pointed out something he'd done wrong it was quite likely that she had helped protect Maria. “Naidra you're starting to worry me with this long silence.”

“It could be better but I.” Instead of continuing Naidra gave several rapid hums. Joseph had designed the glyph so that it would respond to a person's mystic energies and life. As their life energy went down the drain the glyph put on someone would decrease as well. At the same time while the flow of energy from them increased the drained would increase. The restriction put by the response to life energy took priority over the response to mystic energy. The outer edges of the circle had been designed so that it would only influence the space within the glyph and if broken the entire glyph would immediately fail.  He had taken her advice and made some sections of the glyph so that they would fade and shut down the entire thing if too much energy ran through them as well.

“Naidra are you doing that to make me worry?”

“I like the conversion of the energies into radiant life energy. That was a good use of it. There were some mages that converted the mystic energy into heat of all things. This could be very bad for those standing around the glyph whenever a strong source of energy was being drained. I'm a little worried about what influence such energies could have on the surroundings and those near by but given the amount of mystic energy you're likely to be working with the risk are acceptable.”

“Likely to be working with?”

“Yes well. You're the first one to try to teach the sisters to draw in energies like a mage. I'm currently working under several assumptions as to how much energy is going to be involved but they're educated assumptions. You know how to make a potion to protect your body from alterations due to exposure to magic right?”

“Yes.”

“You should drink one before you test this just to be safe. Well done you've made a very promising experiment.” As she spoke Naidra returned the glyph to Joseph. The fact that he seemed relieved was amusing though she wasn't going to say anything about it. “I didn't mention it before but I noticed you mentioned the defective faelom and the awakened one as well. We were happy to see what you were trying to have something done about the defective ones but we don't feel you're pushing hard enough.”

If Naidra could think about things other then his current experiment Joseph felt certain that he had made a good glyph this time. That or the protectors were running out of patience and wanting results. He truly hoped it was the first one as he responded. “Naidra I don't feel comfortable calling for the deaths of others. Besides I know that Flora is well aware of the distrusted. What more could I do whenever I was speaking to her?”

“We had hoped that you would demand something be done about them due to the risk they pose to the outside world. With the new developments the defects may be allowed to grow in power. Just letting them live is mistake enough but to allow them to increase in power or become independent of the forest would be foolish beyond reason. Have you been told that some of them tried to leave with several of your seeds? We presume that they intended to begin their own crop of life blooms and perhaps leave the forest with them.”

How did Naidra know that? How did he not know about it? Both questions popped into Joseph's mind even as his face twisted into an expression of concern. He didn't need to think much to realize how bad that could have been and that the other two questions weren't important right now. “What happened to them?”

“The guardians who discovered their efforts recovered the seeds and put them through some very ineffective instructional routines. We here are not adverse to the use of pain to educate whenever reward and gentle instruction have failed but an ineffective method is an ineffective method. Besides given that they've chosen to hold onto their ideas and endure their hunger it's quite clear that pain is not the solution.”

“I see. I don't know why the sisters haven't done more about the distrusted Naidra. I've heard Maria speaking about it and they're all kind of scared about what's going to happen whenever Zarena learns about them. As I'm pretty sure she would kill them. Perhaps they're hoping that with the changes and the brothers beginning to train for combat again the distrusted will change their views. It's a lot harder to look down on someone whenever they can burn your skin off with their mind.”

“I do not consider fear a good substitute for respect but you are correct that it can change behaviors. Thank you though for respecting our request. Even if you're not pushing as hard as we would like you've done as we asked and for that we're grateful.” As she was speaking Naidra had retrieved a second sheet of paper and began to copy Joseph glyph. “Oh! I almost forgot to mention. I'm very happy that you took the time to find out what material the glyph would work best placed upon. I would like to do you a kindness though.”

“What's that?”

“There is a parchment made from plant fibers easily found in the forest that once soaked in the proper solution should work even better. Well will work even better. Well I was going to ask you to wait a few moments but it seems that the parchment was already prepared and it's being brought to us right now. I've been asked if you would feel more comfortable if you had an apprentice join you in the secure area as well.”

“What? You mean that I could bring someone else in with me?”

“No. Well yes. Joseph you are a Luvarian you can take an apprentice in with you if you want and we could not stop you. We just ask that you don't. There is one apprentice that we have welcomed in of our own choosing to avoid complications. An apprentice that's been helping us with another task.”

“What! Who's the other apprentice? What's the task? How long has this been going on? Was he allowed in before me?”

“Ridon the student of the apprentice Julia. That is such a strange thought even now an apprentice with a student of her own. He is currently helping us to convince the faelom to start tending to their children within the citadel once again. His efforts have been frustrated but respected. That's another thing if you could convince the faelom to start using the raising rooms again it would be appreciated. He has only been here for a few weeks and technically entered after you but became aware of where he was before you.”

“A connection?”

“Yes. The spiritual being who once used the body of his beloved faelom became one of us. She still felt a powerful connection to him and with all his efforts to find her it was decided to let them approach one another. I should mention this is not the first time such an event has happened. It is very unfortunate that none of them have progressed as we have desired but this time seems promising. He is not however aware of you. So would you like to be brought to meet one another?”

“It would be nice to have someone here to help me with my studies but with everything Julia has him doing and apparently you as well I don't believe it would be good to force additional responsibilities upon him.”

“You do realize that Julia is currently in training to become a spirit hunter. Ridon doesn't have to worry about doing much of anything for her. Due to their earlier efforts he also hasn't been called upon to perform many acts of necromancy either.” As she was speaking Naidra knew that the protector with the parchment would be arriving soon. She could feel her approach and here her thoughts. “Joseph in the event that anyone ask the fibers from this parchment came from the clovine flower. If they want to know more then that just tell them that we gave the parchment to you.”

“Wouldn't that be telling them too much?”

“They know it was us who left them the tools for their studies. It should have no influence on how they view you.” As she spoke Naidra had walked over to the door and opened it up. Nothing was said verbally as she received the parchment and a small sack while the other protector turned and departed. Naidra was grinning as she turned to Joseph. “Now here is a handy item I want you to tell Mina that you found in the raising center.” As she spoke Naidra held the small satchel up for Joseph. “Also have you decided on what you want to do about Ridon yet?”

“Well I'm aware of him now. So how about asking if he'd like to help me out? As for the sack is that come kind of gift for Dremera? I'm not sure if you know but it wouldn't surprise me if you did. I spoke to Mina a few days ago and they're planning on bringing Dremera back here.” As he spoke Joseph still hoped Naidra would explain what the toy was. Though he wasn't sure how a small satchel made from some strange white cloth would survive Dremera's attention.

“Yes I'm aware of that but this should hasten her actions. Now what you do is take some of the blood from the object of the faelom's affection and put it inside the satchel. You bind it tightly and give the blood time to infuse the fibers and then you unfold it like this.” As she spoke Naidra was already demonstrating to Joseph what she meant. The satchel appeared tiny within her hands but as she unfolded it and revealed that it was actually full. The cloth quickly came to cover a much wider surface area. “It will hold the sent of the person who's blood was used on it.”

“I see. Could you fold it back for me?”

“Easily.” Naidra didn't wait to begin folding the cloth back into its sack state. As she did so she had to resist the urge to hum while working. The material brought back memories from long ago that she didn't tend to think about. Part of her wanted the days where the guild always had a few young faelom or other constructs roaming it to come back. For the longest time the youngest construct there was hundreds of years old. Though they still tended to take care of her as the child of the citadel. “No one has been in the raising center as of late so if you say you wondered there while out for a walk they should have no trouble believing that you found it there.”

“That reminds me. Naidra the brothers have mentioned that their feet seems to lead them throughout the citadel at times. Is this place actually influencing their minds?”

“Yes.”

“Um is there anything else you could say to make me feel comfortable about that?”

“The citadel is only trying to take care of them and provide for their needs quietly. It guides them to the books or plants they seek at times. That or to something that might inspire them. We are aware that this has caused some of them discomfort. I take it that you're mostly concerned about the influence the citadel may be having on their mind. There is no mental alterations being done to those living within the citadel. Perhaps you should encourage them to begin a journal detailing their day to day thoughts. Whenever they look back at it they could try to find any changes in thought patterns. This is typical procedure whenever one isn't certain of whether or not an environment is influencing your mind.”

“You mean standard for Luvarians?”

“Yes. Especially those that deal with constructs that do have the ability to influence they mind. It is important to insure that one is still in control of a project and that the project hasn't began to control them.” Naidra was actually a bit surprised whenever she noted Joseph laughing. A few moments of shared thoughts and she realized the reason why. “You're currently feeling like your projects have taken control of you.”

“Well I am mated to my favorite project.” Now it was Joseph's turn to hear a laugh. Unlike Naidra thought he didn't have anyone to share thoughts with to try to figure out why. “What did I say?”

“You said something that's very much like a Luvarian which is fitting. Many of the accomplished Luvarians would feel as if their project was a child to them or even a mate. In some cases it was literally true. This could make convincing them to share their final results a chore. In fighting could begin if the project had been a team effort but several of the Luvarians believed that the project was more the result of their work then the others.”

“Hey now. I had this mind set along time ago.”

“I am aware of that.” Naidra chose not to mention that when he had obtained such feelings had nothing to do with her statement. Joseph had a moment that was very fitting with a Luvarian. The fact that he had developed this mind set before or after he came to the citadel didn't matter. “Have you considered how to approach your Faelom test subjects?”

A low groan escaped Joseph as he nodded his head. Unfortunately considering how to approach Maria about it and thinking of a way to make it sound like a good idea was two very different things. He had thought of it a lot he simply hadn't thought of a good way to do it.

***********************************************************************************

In her time with Joseph Maria had noted certain changes that tended to happen whenever he was about to give her bad news. His scent changed and he tried to prepare her a nice meal. As he couldn't prepare her a feast each time he tended to focus a great deal on the flavor. In truth the food wasn't necessary he had never told her anything that truly required a meal to comfort her. At the same time she wasn't going to tell him that. A nice meal was too good to pass up even if it was guilt that was compelling him to prepare it. “So this is why you had yourself taken home early. It smells like you used some honey.”

“Yeah I wanted to give the meat time to slow cook.” As he spoke Joseph was checking his preparation. He had treated preparing this meal like preparing one of his more dangerous potions. After building up Maria's hope with the notion that she would soon be feasting regularly to now tell her that she would need to endure what amounted to torture sessions wasn't going to be easy. He had managed to locate Pera and have her run down a fresh tusker for him. She had even been considerate enough to butcher the animal for him though he suspected that was more due to her wanting some of the meat herself.

So how bad was the news that Joseph was going to Deliver? Maria was tempted to ask immediately but she wasn't sure she wanted to know. Depending on his answer it could end up spoiling the entire meal. At the same time if she didn't know what the news was she might end up wondering about it the entire time. Perhaps this was Joseph way of saying he apologized for making her wait so long to begin the experimenting after he had her hopes so high. She doubted that was the case. Joseph tended to only go fancy whenever he was feeling grateful or exceptionally guilty about something. Had she done anything to make him feel grateful recently? Maria tended to take care of tidying up their home. He just worked so slowly and as many things were made for her size it just wasn't practical for him to clean except for in his own workshop. He tended to chase her out whenever she tried to tidy up his reagents and going near his flask wasn't allowed. That wouldn't be enough to make him feel such gratitude though.

As Joseph looked at Maria he noted her ears twitching. They pointed strait up, went to the sides and even flattened against her head. The fact that she hadn't said anything for several moments and the movements of her ears told him that she was thinking about something. Given the situation he had a pretty good idea of what it was. “Maria I'm just going to tell you now. I had to abandon my original idea to help you learn to direct energy into your body like a mage. The method would have been too risky as I have no idea how to even begin teaching someone with your body type and I don't know how long it would take. You could end up being as big as Zarena by the time I worked out all the issues for all I know. So I've come up with a different method.”

“Ah! I was really looking forward to that original method.” As she spoke Maria made sure to use a very high pitched voice. In truth she wasn't nearly so upset though it was disappointing. The fact that Joseph had still been spending so much time at the citadel told her that he had already come up with an alternative method. “So What is your new plan if that's the case?”

“Wouldn't you rather eat first?”

“No. A good meal can make anything go down better but it doesn't work if the foods already eaten. It's during the time of chewing and my body experiencing a brief period of satisfaction that all those bad feelings just melt away.” What had Joseph come up with? Maria was guessing that it wasn't going to be as pleasurable as stuffing herself. It was actually sounding like it was going to be rather unpleasant or difficult.

How should he say this? The food wasn't on the table yet and in truth didn't really need him observing it right now. Yet he didn't want to look at Maria whenever he delivered this news. It was rough enough telling her as is. “Maria the best way I can think of to teach you to draw energy into your body is to teach you to resist having it be pulled out. In order to do this I've been designing a glyph that will slowly draw the mystic energy out of a person's body so that you can practice resisting its influence.”

For a moment Maria just considered what Joseph had said. Already she could think of one serious problem with his plan. “Joseph our bodies are designed to draw in energy as you observed with our fur. We're also extremely resistant to harmful magic spells. I'm not sure if your glyph will work on us.”

“In truth I'm not entirely sure either but that's what I've been designing the glyph to do. Instead of trying to make something that could power through your defenses I've been working on something that can go around them. I managed to come up with a glyph design that effectively goes around most of your defenses or I believe it will. I've designed the glyph so the rate at which it drains someone depends on how much energy they have within their body so it won't drain you down to nothing but it won't be pleasant.”

For a moment Maria said nothing but focused on Joseph. His heart rate had sped up and she could smell his sweat. He was feeling nervous. He was always nervous whenever he gave her bad news though but this was the first time that it sounded like he wanted her to do something painful. “So your theory is that by remaining within that environment I can learn to resist the affects of having my energy drained. Then I suppose once I'm outside of that environment I'll be able to direct more energy into my body. It sure sounds like the two would be related and it should at least get me on the right path. I'm a little nervous about how painful it's actually going to be but there is only one way to find that out.”

“Maria I hate to ask you to do something like this and if you want we can try other sisters.”

“No.” Maria knew that she needed to cut Joseph off right there. He'd be wondering why of course. “Joseph you've done a lot for me by sustaining me after I grew larger then I was allowed yet again. You've brought a lot of joy and comfort into my life. So I'm quite happy to endure discomfort and pain that might lead to something better for all of us. Besides I still feel a slight debt to the community after having myself put to sleep. I figure if I endure this and we get results I'll be ahead.”

“Maria I believe after everything you've done for your sisters that's already been taken care of.” Already Joseph could feel himself beginning to relax though he couldn't do so entirely. He still knew that this was going to hurt Maria and the idea of causing her to suffer wasn't comforting to him in the least. Part of him had hoped that Maria would let him experiment with another sister. Yet he truly wanted her to be the first to benefit from his efforts.

“Well maybe. I did find you after all. You might want to go remove your food from the oven by the way. Oh and when do you plan on beginning the testing?” Joseph had already stood up and began to move back towards the oven yet Maria chose to continue. Joseph's news was far from the worse she'd ever received. The worse being whenever she was told that she would have to go to sleep. It was disappointing to have good news turn to bad but every experiment couldn't be a pleasant one.

“I don't know how badly this is going to influence you. I wanted to speak with some of the others to see if they could free you from other responsibilities during the testing. You might be too weak afterwords to work after all. I would also like someone who has experience treating a sister's injuries to be here in the event something goes wrong.”

“Treating a sister's injuries?” For a moment Maria went silent as her mind almost went blank. How many people did they have that really knew how to treat a sister's injuries? They were injured so rarely and their bodies did such a superb job of healing on their own it was rarely a need. They were more sisters and brothers that knew how to inflict harm on a sister then there was ones that knew how to help their bodies heal beyond the basics. “Joseph I'm not sure if we have what you're asking for. I guess the best people I can think of to handle such a thing is Fera, Vera, Julia and my mother. Fera and Vera just because they know the best ways to harm a sister and I'm guessing that would help them in knowing what needs the most care.”

“I suppose your mother because she's had the most experience tending to two children.”

“That and nursing a child that was forced to sleep in order to regress in size back to health. Given that this circle. Oh! Wouldn't it be neat if your glyph actually triggered new mutations in our bodies?”

There was a new complication. “I didn't consider that possibility. If the circle ends up simulating the conditions of your slumber well enough it is possible it could trigger changes in your body. I wonder if there is a way to insure it won't. Ouch!” Joseph was a bit surprised whenever he felt something flick his ear hard enough to leave it tingling and make him wonder if it had been detached from his head. The fact that he felt a powerful wind strike him and a slight scraping noise just moments before told him what had happened even as he looked back at Maria. She had managed to get up, rush over to him, flick his ear and then return to her seat before he could turn around. “What was that for?”

“What was what for? I guess I gave you a harder look then I thought. Joseph even if your glyph doesn't help us learn to direct more energy into our bodies triggering additional changes isn't something to be avoided. Believe me we would be quite happy with such results. Now how about we eat and then I'll run out and tell my mother what we have planned? Then tomorrow you can speak to the brothers about it.”

“Shouldn't we wait to tell your mother?”

“No.  She can begin speaking with the other sisters about giving me some more free time to be a test subject. Honestly given what you're going to be testing on me I doubt there is going to be much resistance. I received some pretty mean looks because I was the first to sample the life bloom but this is an entirely different issue.”

“Okay. Does that mean we're done talking about this?”

“I believe so unless there is more you want to tell me.” It was nice to see Joseph was calming down though he was still tending to his ear. Maria had considered given him a bit more of a thump then a flick but had held back at the last moment. Joseph just hadn't been thinking. He was so busy worrying about side affects that he didn't distinguish between good and bad side affects. Just because an event wasn't predicted didn't mean it was a bad thing though.

“That's good. So now you know what I've been up to. How has running messages been going? Last I checked you were making regular trips to the water front to see how things were progressing there.” It was calming to Joseph to speak about something other then his testing.

“Kersara has the sisters there busy. You know the body gives off a different scent whenever it's exhausted  rather then when it's well wrested. Well if this happens over a regular time period the scent changes yet again though it's really hard to notice. The sisters that are training and working alongside Kersara truly smell of the conditioning she's putting them through. Not that I have a great deal of sympathy for them given what Vera did.”

“What did Vera do?”

“We were sparring and she gave me permission to use more of my speed then normal. We had been talking about reaction time and reading your opponent as well as the danger of common patterns. I'm not sure how she managed to do it but nearly the moment I had rushed in to attack her she had taken hold of my tail and used my own speed to throw me using my tail. My backside was hurting so much! When I asked her how she'd done it she told me. The rate at which you process information means that none of us can respond faster then you. However, you can only respond to what you can see. Apparently she wanted to show me that even with my reaction time my response is only as good as my observation skills.”

“Now by more of your speed do you mean all of your speed?”

“Not all of my speed but I don't want to give the wrong impression. I was thinking as quickly as I could whenever I attacked Vera. I was also moving far faster then I've ever seen another sister move except for Zarena. Those legs of hers can really cover the distance. Actually I think if I would have been moving at my full speed I might have needed my mother already. Put those plates down for a moment and just take a look at the fur on the end of my tail.” As she spoke Maria brought her tail forward. The tip of it was still tingling and the fact that her fur had been badly disturbed was quite clear. It actually felt a little better whenever Joseph took hold of her tail tip then gave it a little kiss.

“Does that feel better?” Joseph didn't know what he was doing until he'd actually done it. He actually had to repress a chuckle whenever he noticed be rather surprised expression on Maria's face.

“Ah well. A little bit I suppose.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she ran her fingers along the fur. “Still you can see how it was nearly ripped out right?”

“I don't know about see but it does feel a little off. I'm guessing that you didn't come to an immediate stop whenever she caught hold of your tail.”

“No. She explained it a bit more as being able to read what I was going to do by the way my body moved.”

“I can imagine. Even with that I'm surprised that Vera was able to take hold of your tail. I really didn't expect a sister to have that kind of a reaction time. Even if they know what you're going to do the inability of their body to keep up should give you an advantage.”

“I would have agreed with you a few weeks ago but there is one thing wrong about your belief. The notion that Vera's body isn't capable of keeping up. Her reaction time and the rate at which her body moves once something has been noticed is a lot faster then normal. I know you've heard me compare Mina and Kersara to one another. Well Vera seems to have the natural version of a speed augmentation.”

By now Joseph had served the plates and was waiting for Maria to begin eating before he started. Due to a sister's tendency to savor their food it was easy to finish before them and be left waiting. “That makes sense. Maria I've been wanting to ask about something. Vera is part of a small group of sisters if I'm not mistaken. So why haven't I seen any of the others?”

“You have. They're just less obvious about what they are and better at blinding in. Vera you might say is their spokesperson. Honestly I'm not sure if any of us actually knows who the entire group is composed of. They are after all responsible for watching quietly.”

“I thought it was the matrons that kept the keepers in line though.”

“Matrons are large and obvious that makes them easy to avoid. Vera and her little group are far quieter. Besides they're not really responsible for dealing with the keepers. They're the ones who help the brothers with things that the wrest of us probably wouldn't approve of or could harm us. Like oh say let's say the brothers developed a new energy source but it wasn't tested yet. They know that if we learned of it we're liable to push the development date or try to use it without permission. Yet despite that they need our help. That is where Vera and her little group comes in.”

“What about the fact that they're trained to fight sisters that are their size and larger as well?”

“I believe they train to do that for two reasons. The first is in the event that they need such skills while performing their main roll. I mean you remember how angry we were about the escape. Now let's say that Vera had needed to take a few of the escapees in alive. I'm sure you can see why she'd need such combat abilities to perform such a task if another sister had happened upon the same escapee at the same time. The second reason is because I believe they're a little insane.”

Joseph gave a slight chuckle thought he couldn't respond right away. Maria was finally chewing her food and he'd taken this chance to take a bite himself. He hadn't mentioned it but since he had began working on the glyph he hadn't eaten much. If it wasn't for Maria and the protectors of the citadel he would have eaten even less. “Okay the first one I can see but the second one I'm not buying into.”

“There has always been some fear amongst the sisters that the distrusted would grow in number and try to take our brothers by force. I'm sure you heard it mentioned it but for a while we were even more controlling of our brothers. Vera and her little group are those who aren't just determined to insure that doesn't happen but they're dedicated to insuring it doesn't happen again. In truth I'm surprised they didn't say anything whenever Zarena was scolding us.”

“I wonder if they remained quiet because they felt they hadn't done enough.”

“You'd need to ask one of them about that. Vera would probably be your best bet for a strait answer.”

“Probably. So I noticed something earlier whenever I looked at her hands. Vera's claws have a different curve then most sisters. Is that biological or conditioning?”

“That is entirely due to conditioning. My claws for example are meant mostly for cutting up soft flesh creatures like bears and tuskers. As well as week materials like most stone and steel. Vera's claws have been conditioned to cut through the skin of other sisters though. I know how they do it but I've never built up the resolve to rework my claws like they do.” Before continuing Maria took another bite of her food. “This is really good Joseph. Now as for Vera's claws it's all about working them so that they thicken and harden. Naturally given that our claws retract into our fingers this means adjusting the fingers as well.”

“So it's painful?”

“It's very painful and it's not just that. It takes a long time to influence the growth of our claws. I'm actually scared that Vera will mention conditioning our claws into better weapons one of these days.”

“You make it sound like you tried it.”

“I did! When I first learned the method of strengthening our claws they use I tried to do so with my own. I was able to adhere to the daily routine for about a month and then I just broke down. I didn't care about the days I'd already spent working on them and I didn't care about the end result. I just wanted to stop.” For a moment Maria found herself going silent but then a chuckle escaped her as a realization set in. “Now your glyph might cause me even more pain but I'm still going to do it. No more being a little girl like way back then. After all I couldn't even keep my hunger in check back in those days. I wonder if I could succeed now.”

It still seemed strange for Joseph to think of Maria not being able to handle her hunger. Even if he'd seen her having issues with it. He typically considered such failings to be an issue of willpower but Maria never struck him as weak willed. He hadn't known her whenever she was younger though. “Maria I really can't imagine you as being the type to easily give up.”

“That was when I was younger and after a long nap Joseph. That was also before I found you. I like to believe that I've developed as a person sense then. Not that I have a great deal to challenge me. I was made a scout due to my speed and I still work in that roll. We've been allowed to grow larger and I have you to take care of me.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she took another bite of her food in order to make Joseph wait for a moment. “I really haven't had anything to challenge me. Now the way you set down and just focus on your work that's some impressive willpower.”

“Maria I've been living with you for a while now. I know that speed of yours isn't all due to your mutation. You've also been helping me with my experiments.”

“Thanks for the encouragement but with you that's pretty easy. I guess we'll know depending on how the work with the glyphs goes whether I've developed any real willpower. That's something to look forward to even if the wrest of it sounds very unpleasant.”

“Ah! We're getting back on the subject of the glyph. We decided that we were done with my day. Did you get a chance to read The Obsidian Embrace?”

“Roughly two minutes after you suggested I read it.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as for a moment Joseph seemed rather perplexed. From the expression on his face he remembered how quickly she could read shortly afterwords. “I was rather surprised to see that the Luvarians had more then just tombs of knowledge back there but actual stories. I'm pretty sure that was even a work of fiction.”

“I believe that the book was put there in order to serve as a lesson book. I just wonder if it happened after the events with the infernal beings or before. I get the feeling that either they forgot the lesson the book tried to get across or it came after. You probably read it while you were walking back to put the book on the shelves again didn't you?”

“Yeah. You seemed quite wrapped up in it so I was curious. I have to say imbuing the armor with necromancy so that it would preserve the muscle sounds like something Julia would be capable of doing and I'm sure other necromancers as well. Then using that muscle in the flexible regions of the armor to serve as protection and add strength was an interesting idea.”

“I liked that as well and honestly it seems like something that could easily be done given the materials they used to make the armor. What did you think whenever the armor began to talk to its wearer though?”

“Honestly I was shocked to find out that the armor was female. Then I thought about it and don't you think it would make sense? After all it's women who carry life within their bodies, protect and nurture that life just like the armor was doing for its user. Except well perhaps not being entirely nurturing. There was the little issue of the armor trying to twist its users way of thinking. It sure started off fine but I guess that's the way it always goes with infernal beings. I had my first notion that something was wrong whenever the armor began to help with decision that the wearer wasn't quite certain of. I admit I wasn't sure though as at first it seemed no more corruptive then a friend trying to get you to relax a bit.”

***********************************************************************************

“I hope you understand that if I didn't believe you loved my daughter so much I would never allow this. Even knowing that you managed to gain the approval of the other brothers doesn't truly comfort me in this situation. Now exactly how long do you plan on going through with this experiment of yours? I somehow doubt that the results will be immediate.” As she spoke Flora wasn't trying to sound threatening but she was going to make her concerns be known. Even after what Joseph and Maria had told her about their proposed experiment she hadn't been comfortable with it.

“Well training mages to channel energy or even alchemist isn't something that happens immediately. It often takes months or even years for it to truly become noticeable. I hope that it doesn't take as long with Maria. Initially I plan to study whether or not Maria is doing a better job of resisting the glyph's influence. Much like a student mage first begins to let energy flow through their body with greater ease even if they can't channel their own. This will probably take at least a few weeks to become noticeable.” While he tried to keep his tone confident having Flora studying him so intently made Joseph wonder if he had succeeded. “Flora I love Maria and wouldn't even allow her to do this if I didn't believe that she would be safe.”

“How safe?”

“Safe enough that I'm not fearful for her life or her sanity. I'm also certain that any physical damage will be minor and very recoverable.”

“Mom stop giving Joseph such a hard time about this!” As she spoke Maria had come to stand next to her mother. “I swear you didn't give me nearly as hard of a time about this three days ago whenever I came to speak with you.”

“True but that was only because you couldn't answer my questions but I knew Joseph could. Joseph the fact that you feel the need to have me here worries me. If you had conducted this experiment without asking for someone to observe my daughter though it would have enraged me. I swear I would have started pushing to have your status in the community lowered. You've shown a lot of wisdom in your preparation though and I know that you love my daughter. Now I've been told that you also want to conduct the experiment within the citadel to provide protection from outside influences. I'm fine with that though are you prepared to begin?”

“That's partly up to you. The brothers have agreed to the experiment after a few of them reviewed my plans. Well that and after they insisted a brother be there to observe Maria's medical condition not just for safety reasons but in order to study any developments that come of it. I managed to convince them that Ridon was a good choice.”

“The keepers agreed with your experiment.” A shiver went through Flora's body the moment the words left her lips. Given that it was one of her daughter's that was being experimented on and in such a harsh way she truly hated to say those words. “Vera did say that you had better try your hardest Maria though or she will have to intensify your training to make up for time lost.”

“How could she even do that! If she made it even more intense I'd probably be dead!”

A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she nodded her head. “I don't believe you'd be dead but it would be pointless. Vera is already trying to find the optimum level to push you to. Once she finds that there is no point going over or under. We talked a bit about her methods and she admitted that she started off light and tried to work her way up. At this point she's beginning to believe that starting with the maximum she can put you through and working down would be a better method. She believes that it would work faster at least as she trust her sisters to be closer to the top then the bottom.”

“What top and bottom!”

“Of what she can endure of course. We're off subject though. Now Joseph we're behind this project of yours when do you plan on beginning?”

“If that's the case then we're ready to begin today. We just need to go to the citadel and set up the testing room. Given that I've already prepared the glyphs and the requirement equipment we could begin today. I wanted to give Maria a nice meal before we began the testing though. It seemed the appropriate thing considering how unpleasant this is going to be.”

Before speaking Maria leaned forward and gave Joseph a quick kiss on his cheek. As she did so she couldn't help but think what it would mean if this project resulted in her growing even larger. She already had to bend at the knees even while leaning forward if she was going to be standing whenever she kissed Joseph. Fortunately she was extremely flexible so this was hardly a problem. She also liked the view of her breast she could give him whenever this happened. Depending on how much she grew though she would have to do far more then just lean forward and bind at the knees. She could easily end up having to set on her knees or pick him up. The last thought brought a chuckle from her. It seemed quite likely she would prefer to pick him up rather then set on her knees each time she wanted to kiss him. “That sounds nice but how about we have that nice meal after the event?”

Flora, “I agree with Maria. After she's been drained of energy if your glyph does indeed work she's going to need to eat to help recover her strength. Besides the goal of your experiment is to force her body to retain energy isn't it? The need will be less urgent if her body is currently gaining energy from what she's eaten.”

“You make a good point. Well given that I've the needed approval I believe we should begin. Maria I just want you to know that I regret what this requires of you. If I could I would use a pain killer on you but I just don't know of anything that's strong enough to influence a sister without running serious risk. I hope you believe me.”

“Joseph I believe you. I can hear and smell how worried you are. You shouldn't worry so much though I know that this is good for me. Is there anything we need to take with us?”

***********************************************************************************

Whenever a brother wanted to test the power of a spell it wasn't uncommon for a sister to volunteer to take the hit. They were simply so resistant to magic it was hardly an issue. They also had no trouble drinking failed alchemy potions even whenever not asked to. It was just the easiest safest way for them to dispose of them. This at times resulted in them getting sick but she'd never heard of any deaths. Only rarely did the brothers truly insist that the sisters shouldn't do such a thing. It was their understanding that this alchemy potions or spells were truly above the wrest in terms of power or refinement.

As Maria looked around at the equipment Joseph had prepared she found herself a little worried. There had been experiments designed to work on sisters in the past. Typically these were meant to help a sister and indeed Joseph's was as well. Yet in helping her he would have to harm her. How many projects had been designed to intentionally harm a sister? It made her worry. Yet she also found herself worried about what would happen if the glyph failed. Would Joseph try something else or would he refine it even further? “Should I be feeling anything yet?”

“Not yet. I haven't woken the glyph up yet. Once it begins working it should use the energy it drains from you in order to sustain itself. If it isn't efficient enough to do that I'll have to regularly add more energy to it.” As he spoke Joseph finished preparing the last protective spike. Effectively he had surrounded the glyph with a necromantic focus that should prevent life energy from leaving the area it inclosed. The notion was simple. If Maria began to die he would break the circle she was currently within and the focus should direct the energy back into her. At least the energy that wasn't lost overcoming her natural resistance. He was currently wearing some enchanted robes meant to prevent him from absorbing any of that energy while Flora remained outside.

“I knew that I wouldn't be able to examine my daughter while she was within the circle but I didn't know I would have to remain this far back.” A sigh escaped Flora as her attention once again focused on Maria. “So are you ready to rush ahead of us again?”

“Of course! So if this works out mom are you going to be the next to go through with it?”

“Once they've been some promising results I believe that I shall. Naturally we'll have to find someone else to make sure I'm safe. I'm a bit older then you after all and not as resilient.”

“That works for brothers mom not for us. Have you been listening to Nathan use that old man line to get the younger brothers to do his work again?”

“Well it works very well for him! I think Zarena feels a little guilty about it but she seems happy to be spending more time with him as well. I wonder if she considered that by instigating these changes she would make it harder for Nathan to spend time with her.”

“You're talking about me and Joseph as well aren't you?”

Flora was quite proud that Maria had caught onto her second meaning. If Joseph's plan did work it was quite possible Maria would end up being larger. This could easily result in many life changes for them. “It's a concern for all of us. Joseph did you know that Zarena spoke to us about the possibility of preparing herself a new home on the edge of the forest in the event that she doesn't have to sleep again or we start to cycle the sleepers? The brothers were suppose to talk about it and see if it would influence the ocean's behavior too much.”

“I wasn't there for that meeting.” As Joseph walked over to Maria he took in a deep breath. “Okay Maria are you ready? I'm going to awaken the glyph?”

“I'm as prepared to endure pain as I can possibly be. Just as long as it isn't worse then the hunger I experienced right after being awoken from my sleep I should be just fine.”

“It has been a few years since you last had to deal with that hasn't it?”

“Yeah. Don't worry I'm prepared to handle it and perhaps even a bit worse though I hope that I won't have to.”  As Maria spoke she couldn't help but shift a bit uncomfortably. Despite her words the notion of how unpleasant this could be wasn't something she was looking forward to. Yet part of her just wanted Joseph to begin so they could see if this would even work. Part of her hoped that Joseph had underestimated their resistance to magic and the project would be put off for a while longer. The moment she felt the glyph awaken though it felt like her head was spinning.

As she looked on Naidra was eager to see the results of Joseph's effort. She watched the energies from the glyph radiate upward and then flow into Maria. As the energy moved throughout her body it became more obscure. This was where the procedure would fail if it was going to. Maria's body would retain the energy and convert it. She saw the energy fluctuate and then it began to leave Maria's body along with some of hers. Already it was clear to Naidra that Joseph would have to energize the glyph periodically. The amount of energy the glyph had expended to capture some of Maria's energy was greater then what it had captured.

“How are you feeling Maria?” As Joseph looked at Maria he knew that she was feeling something. From the way she looked at the ground he doubted it was good. The glyph wasn't designed to rapidly drain her though. It was meant to be a teaching tool not an attack upon her. This was beneficial as a slow drain was often more efficient then a fast one as well.

Sickness was almost unknown to the sisters. It happened rarely but was so short lived that it wasn't what they thought of whenever they felt weakness. “It feels like ten minutes after I've just eaten. I feel like I'm coming down from an energy peak though I'm only just beginning to come down. I still feel roughly the same but I know that it's starting. Except in this case I haven't just eaten so it feels more like I'm moving towards ready to eat more quickly then normal. It is not pleasant. So what do I do now?”

Typically when learning to use magic a small amount of mystic energy was first moved through a person so they could get a feel for it. This was often essential though some people could do so after only hearing the theory. This was different though. Energy was still being moved into Maria but it was also being moved out of her. It wasn't a teaching method that people heard of being used. There were some aspects of it that were similar to necromancy though. Ridon had some experience with that. “I hope you don't mind me stepping in but I believe that you need to do is try to feel the energies and see what's different. That or you should try to resist the influence of the magic. It'll be very hard to learn to resist though unless you're sure of what you're resisting.”

Joseph was glad that the brothers had agreed that Ridon could assist him with his efforts. His knowledge of necromancy and how to truly cast magic directly would be quite useful. “That's a good way of putting it. Maria you either need to try to resist the influence of the glyph or try to identify the energies. You likened this experience to feeling as if you were coming down from an energy high. Now think about how it's different from coming down from that energy high.”

“Different? How would I tell if it's different it really feels the same.”

Joseph, “Maria there is going to be some slight differences due to the nature of your body using up energy and the energy being drained from your body. Unfortunately I can't tell you what those differences are or how to really feel them out. All I can say is focus. You might try imaging yourself as pushing the hunger from your body if you could. As if the hunger isn't just a feeling but a fluid you can move out of yourself.”

“So. How long do I need to set here?” As she spoke Maria couldn't help the concern that sunk into her voice. Right now the glyph was a bit uncomfortable but from what Joseph had told her it would become far worse in time.

“I considered that. Flora I believe you should be the first to suggest Maria should be removed from the circle. You can understand what she's talking about whenever it comes to hunger better then any of us and you know the limits of a sister as well as the signs. Keep in mind that for this to work it is going to require prolonged exposure. Enough time for Maria to at least begin learning.”

The fact that Maria immediately looked towards her concerned Flora a bit. She knew that Maria was currently looking for a way out of her situation. Yet if Flora gave Maria that way out she either wouldn't accept it or she would be upset later on. “I believe this is like the treatments we've given brothers whenever they're injured. It's unpleasant and it takes time as well as repetition but the end results are worth while. Given that you're leaving this up to me I assume that the longer Maria is within that glyph and focused on the task at hand the better. Is that correct?”

“Yes.”

Nodding her head lightly Flora took in a deep breath. “I had been worried about the citadel's tendency to remove scents from the air but within the same room I can still smell it. Maria you're no where near being in danger at the moment. Which Joseph if what you told me is true she should never reach that point given that your glyph drains less energy as her energies diminish. Correct?”

“Yes. I wanted the glyph itself to be safe. Our presence is more like a backup system.”

“You're a wonderful brother Joseph. Maria settle down and do as you were instructed. Joseph how should my daughter go about trying to resist though? The example of pushing a fluid from your body is very strange.”

“Ridon could I get a little help here?”

Now that wasn't what Ridon had wanted to happen. The questions relating to necromancy he was prepared to answer but this was a tough one. How could he explain this to someone that had never used magic and who's body resisted magic instinctively? “You just have to sort of will it I suppose. Like if you were trying to move something really heavy. Just imagine that you're pushing against the influence and push with all your might. You just don't actually push against anything using your body.”

To this Joseph nodded his head. “That sounds about right. You might be able to liken it to trying to fight sleep Maria. You're trying to push how exhausted you are to the back of your mind and keep focused.”

At first Maria had been trying to listen but as Ridon and Joseph explained the situation she couldn't help but groan. “You're not really helping!”

Flora, “Now Maria. Joseph told you that this was going to take time and dedication. Now settle down and try to do as you're told. I'm sure that it will catch on eventually. Especially given your remarkable rate of learning.”

***********************************************************************************

Despite all the time she'd spent asleep even a sleeper needed to wrest. As Zarena lay in her room she held the book her brother had made her in her hand. She had read far more on this book in the past few days then she had during several of her awakenings. There was still a lot to go but she was past the early days. At her current rate though she doubted it would be long before she finished. As prolific as her brother was he still could only write so much. Several years of regular writing could easily be read in a few hours by a sister and that was if she was taking it easy. A slight chuckle escaped her as she imagined her brother's voice as his words expressed a particular note of frustration with how his studies had been progressing and the behavior of the others.

“So what do you think of the new brush?” Nathan had tried to sound energetic when addressing Zarena but he couldn't pull it off. With everything that was happening all at once he was spending his days quite busy as was everyone else. To make their new structures the sisters required magically and alchemically enhanced items in many cases. In some cases it was done for future preparations. There was also the issue of the spirit hunters, the examination of the data taken from the fallen sisters, restoring the forest due to the amalgam. Nathan gave his head a quick shake. He didn't want to add to the list.

“I really like it!” As she spoke Zarena picked up the brush Nathan had been speaking off. In truth it was more of a comb then a brush when compared to her massive hands but it worked quite well. “It really does a wonderful job of removing salt and other bits of debris from my fur. I was even a bit surprised whenever I realized how dirty I was getting. I'm surprised you were able to make one of these on a large scale.”

Nodding his head Nathan began to move closer to Zarena. “Well actually they only exist on a large scale. That's a modified version of what we use to clean you off while you're sleeping. We have been working on ways of improving it after all. The one you're holding is meant for heavy duty and personal use though. I see that you've been catching up on your reading. Would you mind telling me what was so funny?”

“My brother was just telling me how frustrated he'd become with the efforts to restore the original system. He wanted to take some parts of it apart in order to learn more about it in hopes of making a new energy system. It seems there was a group who didn't want to turn the external laboratory into just a lab. They had plans to turn it into a vast power system as it were. Unfortunately there was more who believed this wasn't necessary and they should focus on restoring the old system.”

“Drat!” As he spoke Nathan gave his foot a hard stomp. “I was hoping you were about to tell me that there was more to the laboratory then we realized and we had yet another resource to call upon.”

“I wish. I haven't seen anything that has hinted at some hidden purpose or incomplete system. This is however during the early days of its construction. Still I'm pretty sure he would have mentioned such an important detail by now. Well unless he meant for me to find it later.” As she spoke Zarena extended her free hand towards Nathan. She had waited for him to make it to ground level so that he couldn't simply step off the walkway and onto her hand. She much preferred the feeling of him climbing onto her hand. The feeling of his hands pressing into the top of her finger rushed up her arm moments later and made her smile a little brighter as she felt him begin to pull himself upon her right index finger. “I'm a little worried about what I'm going to read once this is finished.”

Chapter 37 by happiest_in_shadows

It was nice to hear Zarena say something about the long term. Typically she spoke as if she was planning to go to sleep again soon. For her to be worried about the long term such as what she was going to read was nice though Nathan wasn't going to mention it. He didn't want to risk her reverting to her previous way of talking. “You don't need to worry about that too much. After all I'm currently working on duplicating his technique. Right now it's more a matter of selecting what books I believe you'd enjoy rather then working on the magic.”

“Does that mean I should finish this as quickly as I can?”

“No.” By now Nathan had made it onto the tip of Zarena's finger and began to walk towards the center of her palm. “What kind of information did you brother leave you? I imagine that he left you a fair bit of soul food given what you were doing.” It surprised Nathan whenever he heard a slight whistle from Zarena as she looked back towards the book in her hand.

“If that was his goal then he chose to be honest rather then change his behavior and seem false. I suppose that might have been his way of insuring that it's nurturing. I didn't really notice in the beginning as I was reading so slowly but it seems like he was trying to pass on some information he believed I might find useful. He talks a lot about events, changes, structures they're working on. Things that I would see while awake but may not think to ask about. He doesn't talk much about the people. Well I guess you know that given that I lent you the book for a while.”

“Actually I was more studying the technique that went into making it rather then the content.” Nathan felt himself lifted into the air and new that he was moving towards Zarena's chest without look. In the beginning whenever she'd set him on her prone body she would lay him on her shoulder or on her stomach. These days she had switched to setting him atop one of her breasts or placing him between them. He didn't know which it was be until she had actually set him down. This time it appeared to be her breast though as he was looking down at her face whenever she began to tilt her hand. “Why don't you tell me about some of the happenings he considered important.”

***********************************************************************************

It had been a week since Maria had started taking sessions within the glyph. At the moment she was taking them on a daily basis for a bit less then an hour. After an hour Maria's hunger reached a point where she was truly becoming stressed according to Flora and she would call it off. There had been progress though as Joseph looked at his notes. “The time she can remain within the glyph has increased since the first four times she was within it. The first increase shows up on the fifth session but it's a really small increase. I don't believe I could safely call it progress as it may just be a change in her perspective and her tolerance.”

Joseph had told her that it would be some time before Maria showed progress. So Flora wasn't surprised by his findings though part of her was a bit disappointed. She could see her daughter's suffering and she wanted something more concrete to say that it was worthwhile. Such things were out of Joseph's hands though especially with an experimental technique. “I'm happy to hear that there have been some changes that can at least act as evidence of progress. When will you begin to test to see if she's actually directing additional energies into her body though?”

“I won't be able to truly test that until she shows more progress in resisting the glyph's influence. I've been trying to do so though by monitoring her eating habits excluding how she eats after we're done with the testing for the day. Have you noticed any signs of degradation as far as Maria's well being goes?”

“Not on a physical level. She's recovering nicely from each session. Mentally is another issue. I believe knowing each day is going to involve the same pain is tiring her. That isn't something you need to worry about though. Right now she is hoping for a quick end to the experimentation on some level. Once that hope has been resolved and the realization of how long this may take has truly sunk in she'll steady herself. She showed similar behavior whenever she realized how painful learning from Vera is going to be.”

“I noticed that. I'm just glad that she isn't having to continue her lessons with Vera and endure this. How is that being handled anyway?”

While he was speaking Flora had walked over to Joseph and looked down at the paper's upon his desk. “Are these your notes about the experimentation?”

“Yes. There isn't much to write right now but I try to notice every little detail. I've been sharing them with the other brothers whenever they ask for more information.”

“I see. Vera hasn't agreed to take on any additional students and insist that two teachers will be fine. Apparently she has no desire to start over with a new student while continuing with two others. Especially whenever she isn't certain of when Maria may be returning. Where is my daughter by the way? I fully expected her to be here.”

“She said they were some things she wanted to take care of after she finished eating. I hope that she isn't doing anything too tiresome considering she hasn't had her session today.”

“No. I'm not doing anything tiring.” A sigh escaped Maria as she walked into what she had come to call the glyph room. She could already see the mystic construct laid out on the floor apparently waiting for her. “I just wanted to go speak with a few sisters. I made a quick dash to the beech as well to bring some news to and get some information from Kersara. The additional orcs have arrived and the community seems to rapidly moving toward self sufficiency. There have been some issues with fishing though.”

Flora, “Really? What's the problem?”

“The orcs have made fishing trips to the shores before but they've never tried to set up a permanent settlement there. Put simply. Their boats are great for short term use and terrible for long term. The salt water just takes a different toll on them then the river water. So they're experimenting with different materials and building techniques. They also made some comment about the spirits of the ocean being no where near as cooperative as the river spirits. That and it was mentioned the spirits of the ocean seem more intent on killing them then the river spirits.”

Flora, “That isn't good news at all! Did they perhaps say why the spirits of the ocean would seek their lives?”

“I didn't think to ask. So how much longer until you're ready for my lesson?”

Joseph, “We still need Ridon here to act as a second magic user and a third set of eyes. He should be here pretty soon.” As he spoke Joseph was certain Ridon was already on his way. He would have been informed of Maria's arrival and was probably receiving some aid in traveling there quickly. Fortunately this could be easily explained as scheduling and the result of the citadel reducing the usefulness of the sister's senses. “Maria any chance you stopped and looked in on Mina while you were coming here?”

“I didn't have time to. I had to get myself cleaned up after the run to the beach. Unfortunately being experimented on didn't absolve me of all my responsibilities. Then again I'm pretty much the only person that can make the trip regularly except for Zarena. Hey mom have you spent any time on the path that Zarena has been using? I don't believe the forest is going to be able to reclaim that without some serious aid. She's pounded that bit of road down solid.”

“I've been on it a few times and we're having serious debates about the issue especially with the possibility that we could be growing even larger. We're trying to settle on the notion as to whether or not it's better to try to have the forest heal from the damage we cause and continue to spread out or if most sisters should be required to use predetermined paths. I have to say if there is any chance we will all be as big as matrons one day I'm supporting predetermined paths with a few sisters given special permission to patrol regions that are far from the paths.”

“I can see where that would be a good idea. What about upsetting the plant and animal life though? By creating these paths we might end up creating a path for a plant or animal to spread to a part of the forest it couldn't otherwise reach. We might even be the ones that spread it when it comes to seeds.”

“There was talk about this as well. I don't believe we have to worry about the animals making use of the paths too much. They should quickly realize that we travel these paths regularly and do their best to avoid them. Some don't have any choice but to cross of course and we must avoid putting undo pressure upon them or we run the same risk of upsetting the balance of our home. One thing that caught a lot of our interest was brought up. In the days of the Luvarians we were all matron sized or many of us were yet we patrolled the forest. They must have had planned patrol paths designed so that it wouldn't harm the forest.”

“Those could have shifted a lot though! Even with what we've done to maintain the forest thing have changed.” By now Maria had made her way to the outer edge of the glyph though she didn't dare step within it. She knew that Joseph would have to awaken the glyph for it to harm her but she didn't want to be within its bounds any longer then she had to. She'd  began disliking the glyph's shape on the third day of her lessons.

“Yes but they could still be useful to us. Things become even more complex when we talk about growing even larger then the matrons of course. Zarena's path is rather set but in the future we plan on making use of the natural flow of the forest to find the best possible path. Fortunately we're on good terms with the orcs now as well. I'm not sure if we're the best prepared to feel the natural flow of the forest given the generations of more binding it to our desires.”

“I'm here! Sorry it took me so long.” As Ridon stepped into the room he moved at a hurried pace. From the way the protectors had been talking it sounded like the others were waiting for him. To see them comfortably setting around the glyph talking casually though made him feel as if he had been miss lead.

Flora, “It's no problem Ridon. You seem to be right on time to me though.”

“Ah well. I really should be a bit early for these sort of things so I can help Joseph prepare. It's not right for the researcher to arrive after the person being used as the test subject.” As he spoke Ridon had to be mindful of his words. In truth Alaina had been the one that told him of Maria's arrival. From the way she's talked though he believed that he was late. Now he found himself wondering if that had just been his mistake or if she had been trying to miss lead him. Part of him hoped that she had been intentionally miss leading him as while such things could have negative implications there were positive ones as well. “Joseph do you want me to help awaken the glyph again?”

“Yes. It's simply easier to start the glyph off strong rather then to have to put energy into it later. Maria would you please move to the center of the glyph?”

It took all of Maria's willpower not to groan as she stood up and walked to the center of the glyph. She also had to resist the urge to simply drop herself on the marking in hopes of damaging it. She had to be professional about this and no pouting would be allowed. The fact that her mother was in the room and keeping an eye on her helped keep the pouting down. Even if Flora often spoke in her defense Maria had no doubt her mother wouldn't tolerate a poor attitude. “So Ridon how has life in the citadel been?”

“Interesting to say the least. There has been a lot of talk about the meals that we've been finding in our rooms. I've caught a few giving me angry looks. There has been some talk that perhaps the meals are determined by the rooms. After all. Why would I receive some of the nicer dishes but testing that theory has only proven that it's based on the person. I changed rooms with Cullen to see if the meals continued to go to the room.”

Flora, “Oh? How is Cullen being fed?”

“Well while I receive two drinks typically for breakfast he only receives one and honestly I think his serving of meat is a bit on the small side. He doesn't seem to mind though. He wasn't even one of the ones complaining about the food. I once even heard him accuse the others of becoming so lazy they can't even bother to hang a peace of meat above an open flame. That got quite a response and comments about their work.”

“I don't imagine that did much to Cullen.”

“He just reminded them of the fact that he's doing the same work and still cooks at times. He then went on to suggest that perhaps if they shut up and stopped complaining they'd get better food. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it directly though.” A sigh escaped Ridon as he shook his head. “It seems like the protectors determine who gets what based on what type of work they're doing. There is speculation that they consider this work more important then the others. The meals might be delivered in order to encourage progress or so that the mage doesn't have to spend time cooking their own meals. One thing that is for certain. Our official rank has nothing to do with it.”

Maria, “I wonder if they've brought Mina any food. You'd think she'd mention it if they had. Then there is also Dan. Hey what have they been bringing Julia?”

“I have no idea. When we've asked we've been told to mind our own business unless we have an actual study to show her. She's been keeping very strange hours due to her training as well. There is also her studies into the spirit hunters. Well I've never asked her but I've been told that when she was asked she refused to answer.”

“Perhaps she'd answer you. You are her student after all.”

“I wouldn't hope for that one. Being her student pretty much means she's harder on me then she is others whenever I make a mistake. Sure she has extra time for me as well but at times I feared that extra time. Are you ready Joseph?” Currently Ridon was standing over the glyph with his hands at the ready. Joseph would require more direct contact then him due to not having the same training in projecting his energy.

“Yeah. Begin whenever you're ready and I'll follow along.”

It seemed to take an eternity for Joseph and Ridon to actually begin casting. It would have been easy for Maria to simply jump from the circle and dash out of the room. She stayed still despite her body telling her she should move as she felt the influence of the glyph. Instead of running she told her body to settle down and that this was good for it. “So is the glyph working now?”

“Yes you should feel the influence in a few moments.” As he was speaking Joseph stood up and walked back to his seat and desk. Ridon was a short distance behind and both of them prepared to begin taking notes. “Now you were able to stay within the glyph one minute and seventeen seconds longer before Flora decided it was time to remove you. Hopefully this time you can remain in an additional five minutes.” Part of Joseph wanted to ask Flora if she was certain Maria was being reduced to the same safe point each time. Asking such a question could easily been offensive though and he trusted Flora's judgment in such things.

One of the more difficult aspects of the testing was simply the waiting. Flora knew that Maria was meant to focus on resisting the glyph's influence but one could only thing about such things so much. Constantly telling her to resist was pointless and they'd already given her several examples of what she might try imagining. Flora was quite certain her daughter was making the best of that as she could. She could see the slight ripples in Maria's muscles and the changes in her breathing as she tried to work her body as if she was pushing against some great force at times. Other times she seemed to be trying to rapidly toss out some handfuls of water. She needed some kind of mental release. “Joseph whenever you were learning alchemy surely there was more then quiet focus.”

“That's true. Even mages don't simply focus on what they're doing none stop. Often teachers will offer feed back.”

Upon hearing Joseph comment about mages Ridon couldn't help but speak up. “There is no often to it. Every minute I was with Julia she had something to say about my progress of the lack of progress. At times she would talk about other things though especially if she believed it helped me to do better. I just wish we had a better feel for what was happening with you.” As he spoke Ridon clearly directed the final comment towards Maria who gave him a grin.

“I'm pretty sure you all do. So do I.” A sigh escaped Maria as she shifted. “So that means we can talk while I'm setting here? So long as I keep trying to resist.”

Joseph, “Ridon this is your call. What she's doing is more mage training then alchemy training.”

“I sure don't see why we can't. If you had a fireball held in your hands just a split second lapse in focus away from exploding or being released early I'd think differently but this seems fine.”

To this Flora gave a nod. “Good now I've been wanting to ask. Joseph would it be possible to make your glyph larger so that Maria could move about some?” 

“What kind of movement are you talking about?”

“Well it's just troubling that she can't move much. I was thinking it might help her fight against the drain if she could move as if she was fighting against something.”

“Flora there is no way I could make the parchment strong enough to endure those kinds of movements! Especially whenever I consider Maria's speed. If she was to just dig her claws into the cloth and shift slightly she could end up disrupting the spell and causing the glyph to fail.”

For a moment Flora was silent as she looked at the parchment the glyph was on. She had felt of it before and thought it was strong for a parchment. That was the problem though. It was simply a parchment. “Could you make the glyph on stronger material? Perhaps we could carve it into the very stone.”

“Unfortunately the material a glyph is on influences its function. In order for the glyph to have enough power to influence a sister it really has to be on the most suitable material possible. That or I would have to design an even more powerful glyph and honestly the one we're using now really stretched the limit of my abilities.” As he spoke Joseph couldn't help but shiver in fear at the thought of making a more powerful glyph. He had actually relied quite heavily upon knowledge that he'd gained from the ancient Luvarians and only felt confident in its use because he had Naidra to inspect them. Was he even capable of designing a more powerful glyph at his current level?

“That's unfortunate but I see your point. I wonder then. Could Maria take something into the parchment that doesn't influence magic?”

“Such as?”

“I was thinking a book or perhaps an instrument. Maria have you ever showed Joseph the way your speed allows you to play the drums?”

“Of course he's heard me play! It would be a fun way to use this time though. I have to admit that the setting is actually rather tiring itself. Joseph would it hurt the learning process if I got my heart rate up?”

“I. I'm not sure Maria. I mean playing music takes a lot of focus and part of this is focus. So it might help. I've never met a mage that combined music with their lessons though.”

Ridon, “You mean you don't have spell singers?”

“Spell singers?”

Giving his head a quick nod Ridon didn't risk taking his eyes off Maria for fear of missing something important though he was speaking to Joseph. “The Luvarians had some of them and made mention of others. They're magic users that don't just cast one spell at a time. Rather they chain their spells into songs allowing the residual energy and power to carry over into the next casting. Supposedly by doing this they could build up spells of truly terrifying power. Plus it became increasingly difficult to determine what the final result was going to be the longer the song continued.”

“That is.” Joseph actually felt a bit alarmed as his body froze up while a familiar sound reached his ears. A soft low but very long hiss was coming from behind him. The fact that the first thing he thought of was stories of how young sister's got away from their mothers and went in search of scents only added to his alarm. The fact that the citadel would have been tracking him very difficult if not outright impossible for such a young sister didn't set in. Neither did the fact that the protectors wouldn't let him come to harm. This made him a little slow in turning around as he didn't want to risk provoking Dremera. He was actually a bit relieved to see her cradled in her mother's arms.

It hadn't been clear where her mother was taking her at first. They had moved back to the quiet place with the soft scents. So Dremera hadn't realized Joseph was in the room until her mother had carried her into it. The moment she saw him Dremera responded instinctively and gave a hiss. She didn't bother struggling in her mother's grasp as she had learned that was useless in this situation. She still wanted to make it clear that she was upset with him and gave another hiss followed by another as he turned around to look at her. She knew that others were in the room as well but at the moment hissing at Joseph seemed more important then seeing who they were.

Mina couldn't help but chuckle as she noted her daughter's response to Joseph. She knew that it was bad for a sister to be hostile towards a brother but Dremera was still very young. That was the only reason she was letting such behavior slide and even found it funny. “I really believed that she would be over her hostility towards you by now.” Even as she finished speaking Mina heard Dremera give another hiss while she continued to focus on Joseph. “Come now Dremera you smelt Joseph on your daddy as well. Surely you know that he's not a bad person.”

The fact that Dremera responded with another hiss made it impossible for Flora to keep from giggling. “I've never seen a sister that hostile before! Sure I've heard plenty of hissing from Maria and Mira as well as other infants but never over such a prolonged period. Joseph have you tried giving her some food.”

“Yes and she's still hissing at me. She wouldn't even eat the food.”

“Wouldn't eat the food! Now that I haven't seen before. Mina your little girl really holds one heck of a grudge. I don't even believe your mother held a grudge like that.”

After giving her head a nod Mina looked towards Maria. “I brought her over thinking we could cheer you on for a bit. After all you're sacrificing so that this little one won't have to in the future in part but it seems like she's more interested in hissing at Joseph.” Dremera seemed to confirm Mina's words as she once again hissed at Joseph. Mina could feel Dremera trying to raise up if not to escape from her grasp to bring herself closer to Joseph. She really wanted to show Joseph that she was angry with him.

“Come on Dremera. I brought you that nice bit of cloth to play with. Can't you let the past go.” The answer seemed to be no as Joseph noted yet another hiss from the young sister. “You sisters develop your movement and hunting skills very early. When do you begin talking?”

“That takes a little while longer. Are you hoping that you can reason with Dremera once she can understand what you're saying?”

“That might be my only hope at this point. She seems to be quite hostile towards me and I don't think she plans on changing. Ouch!” Joseph gave a slight jump as he felt a sudden stinging on his back. The fact that it was followed up by two more rapid blows sent him away from the table.

Immediately Mina was made to recoil and try to grab her daughter's tail. Unfortunately Dremera was swifter then she expected and holding onto her had a good bit of Mina's attention. The extremely sharp his that had come with the sudden attack had surprised even her. “Sorry! I'm sorry about that! I didn't realize we'd moved that close to you.” By now Joseph had retreated to safety while Dremera continued to lash out at him with her tail.

Now a safe distance away Joseph actually found himself grinning. “Wow! Ouch that stung. She's good at using that tail of hers isn't she?”

“She's better then I expected her to be. Dremera that was bad!” As she looked at her daughter Mina worried about what she was going to have to do now. If she didn't punish Dremera for attacking Joseph she might think it's alright to do so in the future. At the same time she found herself a bit amused by her daughter's antics. The fact that she heard laughter coming from the others including Joseph actually surprised her. “Joseph?”

By now Joseph had reached behind his back and felt of his wounds. In truth he doubted that they would even leave a bruise. “Okay Dremera you got me. Now do you think we can call it even now?” As he spoke Joseph kept his tone friendly and began to move back towards the young girl. The fact that her tail suddenly lashed out at him again and was followed up by a sharp hiss told him otherwise. “It looks like a little miss hasn't learned the concept of equivalent payback. Come on Dremera surely those smacks were enough to even the scales between us.”

There had been a release whenever Dremera had smacked Joseph with her tail. The first one had just been luck as she realized her tail was free while the ones that followed was an attempt to make it count. The one that had missed let her know that Joseph was now out of her reach. She still gave him a sharp hiss whenever he began to talk to her. There wasn't quite the same rage there though as she felt herself settling down after giving him his smacks. Each smack seemed to have taken a bit of her anger with it.

“Well maybe if I show you that you manage to get me good.” As he spoke Joseph turned around and reached behind himself. As he did he began to pull up his shirt in order to showing Dremera the red marks that had formed on his back. “See? Now isn't that enough to make us even for me startling you?”

Mina was a bit worried whenever Dremera gave another hiss but this one wasn't as sharp as the others. It was followed up by two rapid but far lighter hisses as the girl seemed to be settling down. Using her left arm to continue to hold onto her daughter Mina reached forward with her right and touched it to Joseph's back. “See honey? This is where you smacked him with your tail. You got him pretty good didn't you? Brothers aren't as sturdy as us though and you shouldn't do that Dremera. It isn't nice.”

The whole time Maria had to keep herself from laughing. While she typically would have been quite upset that someone other then herself had hurt Joseph she could give Dremera a pass for now. As she listened to Mina and noted Joseph settling down she had actually forgotten the drain the glyph was putting on her body and found herself smiling quite widely. “Just make sure she doesn't try that whenever she's older or I'm going to have to do something about it. Turn around Joseph I want to see how good she got you.”

Nodding his head Joseph turned his back to Maria as well. “I'm guessing that the use of your tails is something you're more born with then anything else.” 

“Well I'm not sure about that. We should start using it early and our muscles develop so much faster then a brother's we learn to use them quite early. From the way she was whipping you with it though I believe she's become a bit experienced with her tail already.”

It was impossible for Mina not to feel a little pride in her daughter. She already knew how Dremera had learned to use her tail so early. “I believe she learned to use her tell during the night. Often I have her sleeping on one side of me and Dan on the other. She typically uses her tail to find Dan's wrist and wrap around it. It's actually been a problem in the morning at times as she typically doesn't want to let go. Fortunately her grip is still a bit limited and Dan can typically slip free even without my help. I just didn't realize she'd gotten to the point she could use her tail as a weapon.” The fact that Dremera was still hissing from time to time reminded Mina of the situation. “I don't know what I'm going to do about this. Flora could I get some kind of suggestion?”

It was hard for Flora to answer not because she lacked a suggestion but simply because she was struggling to contain her laughter. Had Joseph been truly harmed she would have taken the situation far more seriously but a few red marks was hardly something to throw a fit over. At least if the brothers were going to stop being seen as fragile to the point of needing constant care. “Well. If she has a favorite food you could give her something she likes less for the next day or two. I'm not sure if she would relate not getting what she likes to eat with whipping Joseph with her tail though. Another option would be not allowing her to play with her toys for a bit. She doesn't seem too concerned with your scolding.”

“I noticed that to. I suppose my scoldings are going to have to start carrying some kind of punishment as well. Oh Dremera. If only you could understand us this would be so much simpler. You can't use violence like that especially against your brothers. I wonder if Dan might have some idea as to how the situation could be resolved.”

“Has Dremera ever seen Joseph with Dan? I imagine if she learned her father was friends with Joseph she might be more willing to forgive him. That or she might think that Joseph is trying to take her father from her and become even more hostile. Come to think of it has Dremera seen Dan with another sister?” As she spoke Flora was tempted to go over to Dremera and tickle her feet for a little bit. She was repressing this desire as she didn't want to reward the child's poor behavior with play. She was cute though as she gave another hiss.

“I don't believe she has actually. What am I going to do if she started attacking people just because she smelt their scent on Dan?”

“That could require you to be rather strict with her.” As Flora spoke she was still keeping an eye on Maria. The lightening of the mood and giving her something else to think about seemed to be helping. Yet she could see it in Maria's body that she was still working to resist the influence of the glyph. Hopefully this would produce some noteworthy results. If it did Dremera's visit would serve as evidence that mental relief would aid Maria in her development. “I believe the best thing you could do for now is make Dremera lay down for a while. If you wait until later after the event she'll have trouble making the connection at this early stage of development.”

“That sounds like a good idea. Okay then I'll see everyone later. Dremera because you're being all cranky I'm going to have to take you back to our room for an early nap.”

***********************************************************************************

At times mages were considered mostly mental fighters and in many ways they were. The body changed due to the mystic energies constantly flowing through it and became better at directing those energies but that was more of a side affect. As a spirit hunter Julia had been actively conditioning her body through both physical training and active use of magic. It often involved intense training first in order to prepare the muscles to change. Then during the healing process the spirit hunter would circulate an intense amount of mystic energies through their body. This allowed for a level of change that wouldn't happen otherwise. The fact that this change was assisted with alchemy was also beneficial. As Julia looked at herself in the mirror the affects were obvious and it didn't simply relate to her muscle tone.

It was strange to see a human female in the nude. Sure Dan was used to seeing the sister's walk around without a stitch of clothing but after living amongst them for so many years that had become normal. Perhaps that made seeing Julia even stranger. She had some clothing on but it didn't cover much. Her state of undress wasn't the only thing he noticed. Her skin had become much lighter then the last time he had looked upon her. “So I take it you're ready for your examination?” It wasn't surprising to Dan that he had been asked to examine Julia. He had spent some time living outside the forest. It was were he had first been trained as an alchemist after all. He was better versed with studying mystic poisoning then most of the brothers due to the more limited systems in the outside world.

“Dan since I began training my muscle tone has improved but the pigment in my skin has changed considerably. I've spoken with some of the sisters and they tell me that my heart sounds off as well. It has slowed down but the force of each beat has become more powerful.” As she was speaking Julia walked over to the examination table and lay down. “In my studies I read that there would be changed but I'm not certain if these are the right changes.”

“I remember that. Didn't the book say that the changes depended on the person? I wonder if this could be because you are primarily a necromancer.”

“I don't know. Well I'm ready to begin if you are.”

Nodding his head Dan moved to stand next to Julia and began setting his tools next to her. “Now you've been taking regular blood samples and testing them haven't you?”

“Blood and skin. The amount of energy within my blood has shown a notable increasing since the training began. I've found it more difficult to cast certain spells recently as well while it's become easier to cast others. My control has improved but the power I can put into the spells at any given moment seems to have diminished!” Julia was made to arch her pack and raise up as Dan placed an alchemical gel on her stomach. Cold was the first thing that popped into her mind as she looked down at it. “What is that?”

“Sorry about that I should have warned you. It's just a nice little mixture that draws mystic energies out of someone. It sort of soaks up heat as well. I'm looking for two things here. How quickly the gel changes color and what color it changes to. Well unless it doesn't respond at all.”

“What would that mean?”

“Well normally it means the persons too weak to even supply that much energy. It could also mean that the person is too well guarded against energy draining influences for the gel to respond.” As he looked at the gel Dan wasn't surprised to see that it was changing color rapidly. This meant that Julia was giving off a great deal of energy. “Well that's pretty much what I expected.”

A sigh escaped Julia as she looked at her stomach. “What does it tell you?”

“Well it pretty much tells me that the mystic energies aren't trying to pull your body apart. If the gel turns a pasty white that means the magic is unstable and it's causing the gel and well the person's body to break down. It's just the gel doesn't heal itself. Now as for your heart beating less often. Don't you believe that's because it's grown stronger and doesn't need to beat as often to keep the blood flowing?”

To this Julia gave a nod. “Yes. As far as I can tell that's what happened but it has my sister upset. She's used to hearing what she considers a healthy human heart beat from me. To suddenly have it become so slow has her very concerned. As does the changes in my skin. My increased body temperature is most likely a resolve of the additional energies going through it and the changes in my physical make up. I've been observing my own life energies and they haven't weakened.”

“So in other words you're just having me do this to put your sister's mind at wrest?”

“That and a few of the brothers. They commented that since I'm the one undergoing the study my judgment is impaired. I considered insisting that I've been completely objective about this study and my training but realized that would be pointless. In these cases it is natural to assume that the person's judgment has been impaired and I admit some concern. My recovery time has improved but the increase difficulty in spell casting worries me. I assume that this is because my muscles have began using some of that energy for themselves.”

“I'm thinking I should just set down and let you diagnose yourself then agree with you.”

A slight chuckle escaped Julia as she looked at Dan. “You know if you did that and others heard of it we could both be in trouble for using such flawed methods. Okay what do you want to see next?”

“Well from what I read they found in your skin sample I was reminded of a potion that's meant to increase a person's resistant to magic attacks. It's just where a normal person has to drink an alchemical potion to obtain such affects and they expire in a few hours yours is well. Being produced naturally at this point and I believe the change in your complexion is due to the constant presences of those compounds. Now Julia have you found your eating habits changing lately?”

“Dan.”

Immediately Dan felt like an idiot and took a moment to cover his face. “Part of the training involves drinking alchemical potions and eating certain reagents on a regular basis. I already knew that. Well okay. That explains where these new compounds have been coming from. It's strange though. The presences of such compounds in your skin should hinder the flow of energy outside of your body as well. Yet you're still radiating a good deal of energy. So what is the energy using as an escape path?”

“My eyes and tongue have been feeling warmer lately. Oh for goodness sakes. That's why my body temperature has become elevated. All that energy is having to find a new path to escape and what are you. Cold!” Julia managed to keep from setting up this time as Dan dropped a good blob of the gel atop her forehead.

Julia's theory wasn't hard to test though this wouldn't tell Dan exactly how much more energy was radiating from her eyes it would show if it was different from the skin. It only took a few moments for this to be confirmed. “It's a shame I don't know how much energy you were giving off before you began training. If it had decreased sense then I would be very comfortable with these results. You're right though. The energy seems to be radiating from your eyes. I wonder if this is why some spirit hunters went blind during their training. Too much energy and unprepared eyes eventually resulting in blindness. Now your entire body including your eyes was conditioned thanks to your mage training but have you noticed any vision loss?”

“No. Now please remove that gel from my forehead it is freezing.” As she spoke Julia was surprised by how different the temperature felt from when the gel was on her stomach. “Blast. This means I'm just as vulnerable to attacks that make use of my eyes as I ever was. That is naturally though. Strengthening the eyes is extremely difficult given that they're meant to function as information receivers. If you make a mistake you could permanently reduce their effectiveness. I wonder if this redirection of energy is done in part to prepare the eyes for future alterations. Sort of. One of the easiest ways to make sure something can't swim upstream is to narrow the river and have the water moving that much faster.”

“The additional energy going through your eyes should provide you with more protection from illusions that's true. This really is the type of thing I wish they had included in their notes of how to create a spirit hunter though. I wouldn't have even thought of such a tactic. The whole may cause blindness is another issue. Whenever I was reading about the original spirit hunters I noticed that part but they made it sound very unlikely. Now I'm a bit worried that it's more likely then we realized.”

“We don't have to use the exact same methods. Perhaps we could slow down the rate of build up so that the eyes have more time to adapt. It's strange with all these changes happening especially the ones in my head I should be suffering headaches fairly often right now. I wonder if there is anything reducing the pain mixed in with the other potions I've been drinking. I know what they each do individually but I'm less certain of how they influence me all at once.” By now Dan was finally removing the gel from her forehead and Julia was glad to have it gone. “With the increased difficulty of directing spells through my body I'm going to have to rely on my voice to carry the magic more or my eyes.”

“The heat you mentioned before Julia. Did it tend to increase whenever you were spell casting?”

“Yes.”

“You do realize this means that until your eyes have adapted any spell casting you do runs an increased chance of causing vision loss. I recommend that you keep your spell casting down for a while.”

“Well that should be enough to convince the others that you evaluated my condition and made a recommendation. Hopefully they will be less likely to question my judgment now.”

***********************************************************************************

 “So you're saying that she's going to be alright?” Even though the glyph had been finished and Maria was currently undergoing testing it wasn't her only responsibility and it didn't take all day. He had spent the first few days trying to work on improvements to the glyph by using what they'd learned during testing but that was proving difficult. Developing a better way of judging Maria's progress was also proving extremely difficult.

“Her health is what we expected of someone undergoing the training to become a spirit hunter. We're eager to see how effective the training is going to be with the alterations you've made though in the name of safety. I and many of the protectors believe that the results won't be conclusive though. Apprentice Julia was already a reasonably powerful necromancer before she began training as a spirit hunter. That imparts certain advantages to her that most spirit hunters would have lacked. To truly see if your new methods are as effective as the old is going to require someone less accomplished.” Even as she was speaking Naidra was busy observing the activity within the citadel. One of the protectors had just turned Dremera around and sent her back towards her crib. The young sister hadn't began to hiss at them yet but it was fairly clear she didn't like the interference. Unlike Joseph though they showed no signs of pain whenever she gave them a tail lashing.

“You don't sound fond of the changes to the system used to train spirit hunters. In all the time that you've been here though surely you've thought of a few things that needed changing.” As he spoke Joseph found himself considering his options. He could continue to work on ways to better the glyph but he still didn't have much information on the glyph's performance. He knew that it wasn't capable of sustaining itself with the energy that it drained from a sister but required regular charges or a very big charge at the beginning. As Maria's resistance to the glyph went up that meant it would lose its effectiveness as a training tool. How resistance did she need to become before she no longer needed the glyph though? The only goal was to teach her how to direct additional energy into her body.

This took a moment for Naidra. Her first instinct was to say that the old ways were refined over centuries by some of the best mages to ever live. Yet the fact that all the people one might consider a classically trained Luvarian was now dead pretty much stopped that argument. Instinct, a desire to protect the memory of her creators and training had to be silenced so that she could speak honestly. “Yes they are some practices and regulations that we now find staggeringly faulty and have even chosen not to abide by. The spirit hunter training method isn't one of the things we believed was in need of changing but perhaps we are mistaken about that. Even if it wasn't in need of changing if your new method is more effective then such changes should be made.”

“Naidra that actually sounded painful for you to say.”

Naidra actually had to call upon the will of her fellow protectors to keep herself from groaning. She still needed to respond. “Part of us and me wants to return to the way things were. We're not moving towards that direction but to somewhere different from where we are now. This is a cause of excitement but at the same time fear.”

The protectors could feel fear. It almost seemed impossible given how powerful they were. Did they fear that their new situation would be worse then their current one? It was tempting to ask but there was something else to wonder about. “I can see where that would be troubling. Naidra a bit on a different subject but what do you think of Maria's progress?”

“The psychological relief was good for her. A depressed system is hardly the most effective. If you're wondering about her progress I'm surprised that you and Ridon can't make some kind of determination by the amount of energy you have to use to awaken the glyph. Perhaps you should use a means of awaken that allows you to accurately measure how much energy you've put into the glyph. You seem to already have a very good idea of when the glyph has reached it's half point.”

Instead of telling him what he needed to do she tells him what he could have done to find the information on his own. It reminded Joseph of some of his training as an alchemist and brought back old feelings. It also made him wonder how many times the protectors had given the early sisters such answers.  “Naidra I've been wanting to ask. You said that you couldn't answer the questions of the faelom whenever they pushed you for them. You've answered quite a few questions for me.”

“That's because by achieving your rank you proved you could handle this level of information they weren't prepared for it. You're wondering why we didn't try to prepare them why we didn't teach them. Joseph all the knowledge they required to reach your current level and even go beyond it is available in the apprentice library. The citadel itself will guide you to the book you desire if you ask it and at times may grant you access to books that wouldn't normally be allowed to an apprentice if the person and question are correct. We also have trouble coming up with long term lessons that don't end horribly.”

“Could you have used one of the lesson plans as it were that one of the Luvarians used on their students?” As Joseph spoke he hoped that he wasn't moving into the area that had caused the protectors to go silent to begin with. Naidra had answered his questions several times and even provided materials for him to use. It was becoming difficult for him not to think of her as a teacher even if she was far from the best teacher he'd ever had.

How was she going to explain this to someone who had learned magic? The protectors knew magic as part of their being. They didn't have to learn spells but already knew them whenever they woke up. They had known them whenever the first woke up and instead of studying them would gain new ones as the citadel learned. “We could tell you how to do something but it's very hard for us to make you understand why it works that way and for what they wanted to know they needed that. To begin them on the right path we would show them what books they needed to read and understand. They wanted a more direct path though and when we try to lead someone else on a direct path it ends poorly.”

As Naidra was speaking Joseph looked towards the glyph she had helped him to develop. She hadn't told him how to make it exactly but had given small details. Then told him whenever he was putting it together the wrong way. “So you wouldn't have ever shown me the way to make that glyph? Like when you were talking to me about the inks. Instead of telling me the right ink to use at each region but you told me the right ink to use a few times.”

“That was because you had figured out and understood the why. The reason you chose the wrong ink was simply you didn't know about it. You chose the best ink that you could develop with your knowledge. I have access to a vast listing of alchemical inks that I can draw upon immediately though. Going back to your original question of why don't we simulate the lesson of one of the Luvarians. By showing the apprentices the correct books to read and the correct order that is what we were attempting to do. They asked for the knowledge. We provided the source of that knowledge to them. Often it was overwhelming and we would ask them to focus on what knowledge they wanted to gain at the moment. At that points the situation would begin to rapidly break down.”

“They just wanted the energy source back and didn't care about the why.”

“Yes which does not work. The original focus for the energy system was broken. The supports were saturated with mystic energy and warped beyond repair. It took us fifty years after the destruction of the original just to replace the supports as we have no access to the forging hall.”

“Huh? What?” As Joseph spoke he couldn't hide his surprise. Had Naidra just volunteered information or just made a mistake? When she showed no sign of surprise he doubted it was a mistake. She wouldn't accidentally give information.

“The forest is the alchemical hall of the Luvarians meant for growing, developing and refining living constructs. The forging hall was a facility that was developed for none living constructs. I'm sure you noticed that the forest is a bit lacking for mineral resources other then what the plant life calls for. The forging hall was as much for working metals and stone as the forest is for gathering plants and animals. It's unfortunate but without knowing the why the original energy system can never be repaired as its a dynamic process to repair it with what you need to do changing every moment. It is also unfortunate that we protectors can not repair it.”

“Why not?”

For a moment Naidra found herself considering Joseph's question. He was beginning to push into areas that were beyond him. If he kept pushing he could even become a frustration. Would he stop asking questions if she answered this last one? Should she warn him to quit asking in this general direction? “The magic it would require of us is beyond us despite our knowledge. Joseph we have very little magic of our own. Hopefully this can make you understand. We can use magic that was meant for a humanoid body but our bodies aren't built like a humanoids. This actually weakens our magic considerably. A human trained to cast the same healing spells as me could achieve far more impressive results then I could. Before you ask we have been developing magic that was meant to use for our body types but it's hard and slow and almost entirely lacking in joy.”

Once again Joseph found himself wondering if he was pushing too far into things he shouldn't ask about. The temptation was there to keep pushing but instead he gave a sigh. “Thanks Naidra that makes sense. Now is there anything that you can tell me about Maria? I know you gave me a good suggestion on how to measure her progress by measuring the energy I use to awaken the glyph more carefully but could you just tell me directly?”

There was no real reason not to tell Joseph how much progress Maria had made so long as he didn't plan to start using the protectors as a measuring device. “Her ability to retain her mystic energies have improved since you began the training progress. You should ask her how it feels and to try to define it in terms that another sister would understand. Such information while fresh on her mind could be crucial to begin training other faelom. I recommend that you instruct her to try using the techniques she's been using to resist mystic draining affects outside of the glyph. While there should be some benefit should your plan work even while she's being passive actively trying to resist even while outside of the glyph would be good practice.”

“Naidra I believe that would be a bit too much of a distraction.”

“I didn't mean all the time. Just have her spend a few minutes outside of the glyph at a time of her choosing trying to resist the influence of the glyph. It may yield better results then you expect or it might not. Her resistance has improved but it is rather on the light side still. It's fortunate that you explained to them that this procedure may take months to show results.”

“I'm glad I did that as well. I wish they'd proven me wrong though. Naidra are you holding out any information that might help me in Maria's development?” Joseph wasn't too surprised to see Naidra's smile going from normal to down right toothy as she looked at him.

“No.” Naidra immediately had to redirect her thoughts to several other protectors as Joseph nearly fell over. The expression on his face was one of utter and complete shock and she was still having trouble keeping from bursting out in laughter. “At least not to my knowledge. I told you in the beginning that no one had tried such an experiment with the faelom. They were tested to see how resistant they were to having their energies drained but this is the first time someone as designed a glyph such as the one you made for the task and had them willingly remain within it for an extended time period.”

“Wait. What do you mean not to your knowledge?”

“We don't know everything Joseph even everything that has happened within the citadel though we sure know most of it. Some of the rooms are a bit like well your internal organs though. You really can't see what's going on inside of them without using magic or well doing something unpleasant to your body. In either case it takes active effort. Very much unlike your organs though these rooms were never suppose to contain anything essential to the Luvarians function.”

“What were they used for?”

“I explained before that some of the Luvarian's master work golems couldn't be duplicated due to a lack of knowledge or resources. Typically these rooms were used by the master craftsmen of the Luvarians who refused to openly share all their secrets. I've long sense suspected that the notion the citadel doesn't know what happened within those rooms is false but I've never been able to find the information. It may be impossible for me to ever find it with the connection I have to the citadel.”

“Would you like me to try to look for it?” Joseph wasn't surprised whenever Naidra gave a sharp jerk and even a slight snicker before she was able to repress it. He knew quite well that the odds of him finding this information were none existent given his rank. There was still regions he wasn't allowed into and knowledge he wasn't given freely. He didn't even understand all the information they were willing to share with him.

“Very funny. Ask me that again whenever the citadel recognizes you as its master and then we might be able to make some progress.”

“Do you really believe that's possible?”

“You've got a lot to learn and you're far too weak to be considered the citadel master's at this point. If you can become the master all depends on how far you're willing to go, willing to learn and willing to live. The faelom society already has life extending treatments to help the apprentices remain with their mates longer. It is possible that with enough of these treatments you could achieve such a goal. Admittedly most humans either break after three hundred years or lose their motivation to strive forward. Well most humans I've seen lose their motivation to progress in less then seventy years even if their body is renewed using magic.”

***********************************************************************************

As she set within the glyph Maria found herself concentrating quite hard on Joseph's question. It was a simple question. Now that she'd been undergoing the treatment for a while now what did resisting the influence of the glyph feel like? Three weeks and a few days of setting within the glyph and she was still struggling to define how it felt. It seemed like a simple and even silly question but it could also help the others when it was their turn. At the very least she was grateful that she could explain it to her mother instead. “Mom you know that feeling you get whenever you just eaten something that felt like a lot but is really devoid of useful nutrients?”

Immediately Flora shook her head. “OH yes I know that feeling! It's as if our bodies believe we were trying to trick them and decide to punish us. You can feel your stomach and organs working on the material but you still feel so empty. When I think about it that seems fitting. After all you still have food within your but due to the drain you're not being allowed to benefit from it. It's a hollow feeling as if there was a bubble inside of you that offered nothing.” As she spoke Flora didn't try to hide the energy in her voice. With Maria finally being able to note a difference between setting within the glyph and becoming hungry she was showing progress.

“Yeah. Instead of trying to push like Joseph and Ridon were telling me to do I'm trying to pop that bubble or force it to fill with something. Well that or at the very least keep the bubble from growing. I believe that it's working given that I've been able to consistently stay within the glyph ten minutes longer then I could in the beginning. I will go ahead and admit that I don't really focus on the bubble whenever I'm playing though it sure seems to help. At least until fatigue begins to set in due to the drain.” As she spoke Maria found herself turning her attention between Joseph and Flora. Both of them seemed to be happy with what she was telling them as she listened to their heart rates and noted their smiles. “

“That's wonderful Maria! Now Joseph do you have any good news for my daughter?”

While he was happy to see Maria's progress and the fact that she had shown improvement Joseph was less pleased by Flora's question. There was hope though. “The change has been very subtle Maria but I have observed a change in your eating habits. It was foolish of me to not ask you to document how much and what you ate in the beginning. Starting it over a week late really cost us a lot of good information but I was able to make some good guesses as to how much you were eating before hand after living with you for so long. The evidence I have so far is that you're eating less then you did in the beginning and aren't showing any ill affects.”

Flora, “Really! My little girl is growing less dependent on external energy? How much!”

Both Maria and Joseph were actually surprised by Flora's outburst. Joseph even more so whenever he noted Flora's tail pointing strait up in the air while a massive smile was on her face. It probably wasn't best to wait to give her an answer. “Well the change wasn't exactly substantial but Maria has effectively cut the equivalent of one apple out of her diet.”

“That's wonderful Maria! Now are you sure that you're not just denying yourself? I know it would be easy to skip part of your breakfast if you really want this project to succeed.”

“I'm sure mom. Believe me if I realized I was passing up food that I'm allowed to eat I would have went back.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she considered what Joseph had told her. When had she began skipping that apple? That didn't really matter to her after a moment as she began to wonder if she should start eating that apple again. She was still hungry. “Um Joseph in terms of a mage about how much energy would you say I saved?”

“Ridon would you mind taking this one?”

“It's no trouble. Maria the energy from eating a loan apple well it isn't exactly a great deal. I'm afraid you could basically cast a small candle spell with it and sustain it for one to two hours.”

For a moment Maria felt disappointed. She had hoped that she had made some real progress. Any reduction in what she needed to eat was progress of course but she still felt hungry. She simply felt as hungry as she typically did and thus had kept herself there. There was one bit of hope that she had left for some true progress though. “How big of an apple are we talking about here?”

“Pretty small.”

“Darn it! Well does this mean that I can start eating an extra apple?”

“Absolutely not young lady!” Flora had actually been surprised by her daughter's comment and the surprise was in her voice as well. “Maria until you become a keeper you are not to grow another centimeter. That or until you're no longer dependent on Joseph to supplement your diet. You're already surviving with the food of another and I'm not going to see my daughter become more dependent.”

There was a desire to complain. To argue with her mother. After all Joseph was her mate. As Maria listened to the tone in her mother's voice these thoughts were pushed from her mind. Instinct took over and she gave her head a slight nod. “Yes mommy.”

“Good. I'm glad you understand. Now Joseph I've been wondering for a while if it may be time for another sister to join Maria in the testing. She had began to show progress after all and from what we've seen your procedure is safe.”

“I suppose it might be a good idea to begin testing with someone else. Who do you have in mind Flora?”

“Myself naturally. I've been observing Maria the entire time so I have the best idea of how to duplicate her results. I've also been wanting to get a true feel for exactly what my daughter is going through. Determining when she's allowed to stop has not been pleasant with me having no idea of what she's been put through. Depending on how that turns out I might have to have a word with you about complaining too much or an apology for what you've been through.” As she spoke Flora clearly directed her last comment towards Maria as she smiled at her daughter.

“I want a different testing partner!” Maria intentionally forced more alarm into her voice then she truly felt. It wasn't hard to get energy into it though as she was having to keep herself from laughing the entire time. The look of shock on Joseph, Ridon's and Flora's face was threatening to make her face split in half as she fought back her smile and held in her chuckles.

***********************************************************************************

“Both test subjects have showed progress since the procedure begin with subject two progressing more rapidly then one initially. This was to be expected due to the data gained from subject one and subjects two own observation of the procedure.” Two weeks had passed since Flora had began the same treatment procedures as Maria. Both sisters had been showing progress but not the kind of results that he was hoping for in the long run. Currently he was setting in the citadel with several of the brothers. A few reports had already been given and now it was his turn. He was glad that he had something to report.

Once he was certain that Joseph had finished Nathan simply had to speak up. “This is wonderful news. Have you found anything to hint at just how much this should reduce Maria's dependance on eating? What about new methods of training other sisters?”

“Unfortunately no. I will say that Maria's rate of improvement has been consistent. This actually surprised me to be honest. I expected rapid progress from Maria once she began on the right path until she hit a barrier we'd have to find a way for her to overcome. It doesn't help that I can't use normal training procedures with Maria. I did test to see if the amount of energy Maria's body gives off after being well fed has increased and there was indeed a slight increase.” As he spoke Joseph found himself thinking about Maria's rate of progress. How much would she have to develop before the benefits would truly be substantial? He feared it would take fifty years or longer to obtain truly note worthy affects.

“I see. At least steady improvement means she hasn't hit a wall. Now Joseph in your opinion do you believe that this method is worth using on the other sisters?”

“Not at the moment. We can gather a lot more information by studying Maria and Flora. Once the technique has been refined a bit more it should be far more marketable and beneficial. Perhaps instead of over a month to show some small results we could have them showing signs of progress after the second week or even sooner. I'm also trying to develop new training methods now that the glyph has Maria on the right track. I was actually hoping for some suggestions.”

Silence filled the room for a moment as they brothers began to look to one another. Typically once a student had learned to direct energy into their body they began learning to shape it. That wouldn't work in this case though as Maria and Flora's bodies were still consuming all that energy before it could be used for such training methods. It was Mirin who spoke up. “Maria has been staying in the glyph for longer and longer time periods. Perhaps that is what we should try to negate. More energy could be supplied to the glyph with a target time of one hour. The additional strain should force her to work harder as well.”

It was several moments before even Nathan felt prepared to speak. He needed a moment to consider that suggestion. “It sounds possible. Just as we learn to cast progressively harder spells she would have to learn to resist progressively more aggressive attacks. Joseph could your glyph handle such methods?”

“For a time yes I believe that it would. As Mirin said all that would be needed is for us to supply the glyph with more energy in the beginning. They are limits though due to the safe guards that I built into the glyph itself.”

Nathan, “Considering what you've learned from the first glyph. Hm I just had an unpleasant thought. In designing this training tool we're also creating a weapon that may be used against our sisters. In suggesting a more powerful glyph to help with their development we're also asking for something far more likely to do them harm. I do not like that idea at all.”

“Yeah. That's something I struggled with whenever I was developing the glyphs.”

“Perhaps we should try taking this problem from a different direction. Instead of having the glyph take more energy from Maria we should have her expend more energy while within the glyph's realm of influence. You mentioned that she's been allowed some instruments to help her pass the time and keep her mind focused.”

“That was suggested early on but there is a complication. The parchment that the glyph is on is relatively delicate. I'm worried that if we do anything that's high energy it would end up being torn.”

“Joseph does she have to be right on top of the glyph? If I'm not mistaken glyphs don't typically require direct physical contact. Otherwise boots would be far more effective protection from their affects then they are.”

Why hadn't Naidra suggested that? As Joseph looked at Nathan he felt more then a little foolish as he considered how simple the solution was. While proximity would influence a glyphs effectiveness a few centimeters of distance shouldn't change the effectiveness enough to be noticed. “You make a good point. I'm surprised I didn't think of that earlier.”

“Well if you could think of everything there wouldn't be much point in these meetings would there! On to other matters. Has anyone gained any new information from Kersara?”

“Her last report stated that they've made progress in determining what materials are best suited to an ocean going boat. They've also been making use of the reference material we sent them from the library and believe they've come up with a good fishing ship design. The sisters helped them to put it together and so far they report success. The oceans are still uncommonly violent whenever they go out onto the water despite efforts to calm the spirits of the region.”

While listening to the brothers talk Joseph had settled down. Had Naidra thought of covering the glyph with some kind of protection or had she chosen not to mention it to him? She had heard all their conversations so she had to know that they wanted to allow Maria a greater range of movement. Had she simply not tried to think of a solution to their problem or perhaps she hadn't even paid it any attention.

“The sisters that were sent with Kersara for conditioning have been sending request to return to the village rather frequently. Apparently they find the life style that Kersara has required of them rather objectionable. Well really that's inaccurate. A few of them find the life style disagreeable.”

“Such issues are for the keepers to decide not us.”

“They find it objectionable enough that they want us to speak with the keepers.”

Joseph took a moment to listen to the conversation going on around him. He truly didn't feel it was his or the brother's place to interfere in such matters. “Wouldn't us interfering on their behalf hurt their standing amongst their sisters?”

“A great deal! The fact that they put this request in could hurt their standing considerably. It's my understanding that Maria is actually the only sister who knows of the request as she's been carrying the messages to and from the beach. I take it that means she hasn't spoken to you about this despite being her mate?”

“No. I wouldn't expect her to share such private messages with me.”

“True it's the polite thing to do. I just know a few sisters who have to share their secrets with one other person though or they act like they'd explode. From the sound of it we're not going to become involved in this.”

After a few moments of listening to no's Nathan chose to speak up. “Okay then not getting involved moving onto the next subject. The energy system we've been using to sustain Zarena has been showing some durability issues. Collecting all that energy and transferring it was bound to have some issues naturally. I believe that we may need to decrease the energy that it's been using to sustain her though and ask Zarena to seek some sustenance from the ocean.”

Mirin, “I wouldn't go that far Nathan. We've been repairing the damage as quickly as it appears and each time the system gets a little stronger actually. Let's just consider this hammering out all the flaws before the trees fully mature. After all. The trees we have aren't yet adults and well if the system is having trouble now can you imagine what it's going to be like once they're fully matured?”

Joseph, “Cracks?”

Mirin, “Yes literally. The channeling elements have been cracking forcing us to rework them. The rate of fracture has been steadily decreasing as we refine the focus. That does remind me though the sisters have been quite vocal about wanting a second grove of live blooms. I've tried explaining that the ones we have now aren't fully mature, we don't have the sun crystals to spare and there is still plenty of room in the current location but they're still pushing for more of them.”

“Mirin those are three really big issues.”

“Indeed but you're not the one that's having to deal with them.” A sigh escaped Mirin as he looked around the room hoping for a solution.

Dan, “Mirin you might just have to tell the sisters no. Until we can make more sun crystals which we can't do right now there is no point in trying to set up a second location. Well unless you want to redirect light from the surface and into the chamber. With the loss due to the transfer we'd need to gather from an area roughly twice the size of what we're trying to sustain even more if we have to transfer it over a long distance.”

“Couldn't we set up something on the waterfront now that we're using it?”

Mirin actually flinched upon hearing the suggestion. “Please don't let the sisters hear you saying things like that. Okay. Do we have the man power to even begin preparing the system? Do any of you have the time to begin preparing the light collection system?” As he spoke Mirin looked around and wasn't surprised to see none of the brothers were saying they did. Everyone was busy. “Let's just finish filling up the garden we have now and let the trees mature a little bit more.”

Nathan, “I have to agree with you on this one.” As Nathan spoke he was glad no one was mentioning putting Zarena back to sleep. Part of him knew that it needed to be address though. “Okay I don't particularly want.”

Mirin, “We don't plan on asking Zarena to go to sleep and we can't make any guarantees that she can stay awake at this time. Most sisters express a desire for her to remain awake for fear of transitioning into the old habits that put us in our current situation. Now onto an important subject. Where is Julia?” As he spoke Mirin found himself looking around the room half expecting an answer. Whenever it was clear no answer was coming he couldn't hold in a sigh.

Dan, “I spoke with Julia a few days ago. Before that I examined her and her condition appears to be fine. Honestly I expected her to be here. Ridon did she tell you anything?”

Ridon, “Nothing comes to mind. I'm pretty sure that she intended to be here in order to give her report personally. Perhaps some of us should go look in on her to see if she's alright. If no one objects I'll go take a look right now and make sure she's alright and perhaps find out what she's doing.”

Mirin, “Go ahead and take a look. We'll hold the meeting until you return.”

“No need for that. Just continue without me and I'll be back soon.”

“Very well.” Mirin waited until Ridon had given a nod and stood up to go look for Julia. As he was walking out of the room he looked to the brothers. “On another subject. How did a bunch of distrusted manage to get their hands on some of the life bloom seeds? I'm pretty sure we were coring them before they left the nursery and were given to the sisters.”

Immediately Joseph remembered what Naidra had said to him and was made to set up. He could hear a great deal of mumbling but no one seemed to be openly offering an answer. “Do you believe it could be due to the sisters being stretched thin?”

“I kind of doubt that one. It doesn't take many sisters to guard the seeds given that there is only one entrance into the nursery and they're not suppose to leave it. The only thing I can guess is they managed to get their hands on a few of the seeds in more private settings. Such as the fruit that is taken to the labs for testing, the trees in the labs or Joseph the tree in your own home. Except. Joseph whatever happened to the tree that was in your home? I thought it. Oh shit!” Immediately Mirin felt his heart rate speeding up as the color seemed to drain from his skin. The distrusted hadn't been allowed into the library with the brothers and many had been in the village while it was burning.

It didn't take long for the implications to set in with the wrest of the brothers as they began to look around towards one another. It was Nathan who stood up first. “I'm going to summon Vera immediately.” Nathan didn't even wait for confirmation but was already walking towards the exit. When was the last time that he'd seen any of the distrusted? They had been so busy with changes and repairs that he hadn't given them much thought. He never really thought much of the distrusted unless they did something they shouldn't have or surprised him by doing something to help the community. Now he found his mind quite occupied with thoughts of them.

When the fires from the kobolds had hit they had lost a great deal. Joseph's home had survived but it wasn't entirely unharmed. Replacing the burnt tree had been easy enough. Now he found himself wondering if the fire damage was even due to the kobolds. “Shouldn't we be informing the other keepers as well? We don't even know where they might have taken the seeds or even worse the tree.”

Mirin, “Not yet. Let's get Vera in here this is the type of thing she deals with. That and maybe the matrons. They aren't too involved with the current projects and can easily move around. Sora? Sora are you in here?” As he spoke Mirin was truly hoping for a positive answer. Whenever there was no response he gave a sigh. “Of all the meetings she chooses not to spy on she chose not to spy on this one.”

Dan, “Unless she realized what we were talking about and already left.”

“I hope that is what happened Dan.”

***********************************************************************************

“Joseph what happened to Vera earlier?” As she spoke Mira had settled down in front of her sister and mother. Part of her actually envied them as they were both working on becoming more self sufficient. However, training with the glyphs and training with Vera couldn't be done at the same time. At least it wasn't recommended as she could only imagine the strain it would put on one's mind and body. “She told me that she'd be right back during our training but when she came back she told me that training would have to be put on hold and that I should spar with my partner for two additional hours to compensate. Then she warned me that she'd tie me up with my own tail if we slacked off!” A sigh escaped Mira as she shook her head.

“Wow! She does not believe in giving you a break. I'm not sure though. I haven't seen Vera but I noticed a few other sisters have gone missing as well. Now I heard earlier that Nathan summoned her for something. Joseph you were there for that meeting. What do you have Vera up to? Joseph? Hey Joseph!” Maria was a bit surprised that she had to raise her voice to get Joseph to wake up.

“What! Did something go wrong?”

“No. Wow what happened at that meeting? Normally you're watching me like a hawk when I'm in here.” Maria could tell that the question had Joseph worried. She could hear it in his heart and breathing. She could also smell it. She had been smelling his anxiety for a while now and questioning him seemed to only be making it worse. That only made her more concerned as she waited for a response.

“I. Sorry about that Maria I shouldn't be spacing out whenever you're in there. We were talking about the life bloom and its various side projects. There has apparently been a serious issue and it's partly because my own assumptions. Mira that's what Vera and a few of the others are currently working on fixing.”

“Huh? What do you mean your assumption? Are they trying to shift blame off on you? I swear they had better not have messed something up only to try to pin it on you!” It actually surprised Maria how angry she was becoming. She could feel her own heart pounding inside of her chest. She couldn't think of anything that Joseph had messed up badly enough to require Vera's attention.

“No! It's not like that Maria. No one even mentioned my mistake. Everyone's really focused on the actual problem. They want to take care of it before it becomes something truly disastrous.”

“Then what is it that has you so upset? Perhaps we can help. You have two keepers here with you after all.” As she spoke Maria nodded towards her mother and sister. “Ah never mind! Vera is involved which means it's something they don't want us being told about.”

“That's not exactly true.”

Flora had been listening passively at first but now she had to speak up. “What do you mean that isn't true Joseph? The only thing I can think of is that means the brothers aren't certain whether or not the sisters should be involved in mass. So you either fear how we would responded which is unlikely or you fear that we would make the situation even worse then it already is.”

It was tempting to tell Flora exactly what happened. To have Maria go searching for the distrusted. Given her speed she could search a larger area then anyone else. The problem was what would happen when more sisters learned of what had happened? It was one thing for sisters to track humans or animals. What about tracking one another though? Vera had told them she didn't want a bunch of sisters running around disturbing the forest even more then normal and throwing up scents everywhere. What Vera didn't know though was that he had another choice to help them find the distrusted. At least he believed that he had another choice. “Yeah. Vera told us that we should keep what was going on quiet and wait to tell anyone else. Other then the matrons.”

Flora couldn't help but sigh. For the matrons to be involved someone had done something very foolish. “I suppose in this time of change it is unavoidable that not everything would happen smoothly. Just be certain to let us know before the situation reaches a critical point. You are quite worried! Your heart rate just sped up anymore and that look on your face.” Before continuing Flora took a moment to look towards her daughters then back to Joseph. “Well I'm not going to ask you what happened. Like I said I trust Vera and her judgment as well as that of the brothers.”

“Thanks Flora. I don't know if I could resist telling you if you actually asked.”

Now Maria was made to chuckle. “I know that you couldn't. You're just straining at the seams wanting to let the secret out. I am really curious if it was a brother or a sister that has caused the current issue though. What do you think mom? Did some sisters get upset and decide to abandon the forest? Maybe they even took something with them. Then again perhaps the strain of all the changes have gotten to the brothers or perhaps a bunch of them got the idea that they would make it outside the forest.”

“Oh can you imagine! Just think of this. A claimed starts talking to one of the brothers about their magic and the life style that such knowledge could afford them outside of the forest. He convinces them that it would be better then living in the forest under our protection. So during all the activity they make a break for it. Perhaps they even take some noteworthy items from the laboratory or the library.” As Flora spoke she couldn't help the energy that she put into her voice. Speculation was always fun even though she knew the situation was serious.

Mira, “Now that would have the brothers in an uproar alright. I can see the runners telling themselves that they'll keep our secrets so they really aren't harming the community. Then again perhaps they do plan on sell the information about how we're reliant on other species for mates or our low birth rates. Then again with Zarena stomping around I don't know how much our low birth rates matter. I don't expect we'd be losing too many of us. Especially with her already awake, fed and ready for battle.”

Maria, “Well it sure would require a noteworthy force. It seems strange that they would choose now to run though. With the brothers increased independence thanks to Zarena and the conflict with the Amalgam. Then again perhaps some of them got a taste of adventure and decided they wanted more. They might have resolved that they couldn't wait.”

“Yeah I've heard about some brothers having to have their wonder lust repressed. All the fighting might be what finally caused them be overtaken by their desire to explore. That or perhaps the fighting finally gave them the self assurance they needed to make a run for it. Now Vera is out there tracking them down with a few of the others.”

Where they even going to consider the distrusted? It was a strange thought but as Joseph listened to Maira and Flora he could hardly remember a time that they had brought up the distrusted. Clearly it was a subject that they didn't like to talk about. “What makes you so certain that it was a brother that left the forest? At least that seems to be what you're speculating on.”

For a moment Mira, Maria and Flora said anything but rather found themselves looking at Joseph. It was actually a bit surprising that he would ask such a question. Maria resolved that he probably already knew the answer but needed to hear it out loud. As she imagined that Joseph would feel the same about a brother running as they would feel about a sister. “We sisters are a bit more tightly bound to the forest then you brothers. For one thing we can't even begin to pass as human so we can't really blind into society like you can. Even Julia is losing the ability to blind into society have you seen how pale she's become? Anyway that makes it hard for us to find a social system to be part of. Then there is the issue of finding enough food. This forest provides us with a food source that most places just can't match especially with what you've developed Joseph. A brother on the other hand has no such dependency. Sure he might have trouble adapting to a new society but if he had a claimed to help show him the ropes I'm sure he'd be fine though I do believe he'd end up regretting leaving the forest.”

Flora, “What makes you so sure of that Maria? Some of them sure seem to believe they'd enjoy leaving it. Oh! He wouldn't need a claimed Maria. You're forgetting that some of the brothers began their life as claimed. Perhaps he had been waiting this entire time gaining knowledge, valuables  and planning for his return to his original society. We try to insure that whoever becomes a brother is someone that we can trust but there have been mistakes in the past.”

“Oh you're right mom! What brother seems discontent to you though? Ridon is the only one I can think of that would have a really good reason to leave with the loss of his mate. I saw him earlier though and from the way his behaving and his body is indicating he's still quite happy to be here. Then again. I haven't noticed any brother that wasn't happy to be here. Hey! What if they developed a spell to cause their body to simulate happiness? An illusion spell isn't likely to work on us but one that made his body give the right signs might even be able to trick our senses.”

“That is a good one!”

“You know I'm right here! Please don't talk about me escaping like that.” A sigh escaped Ridon as he looked at Flora and Maria. Just because he'd been quiet while they talked didn't mean he was going to ignore being mentioned. Especially whenever that mention involved the potential of him running out on them.

Maria, “Sorry about that Ridon. So could such a spell be made?”

“I'm certain that it could have.” As he spoke Ridon wondered what Flora and Maria would think if he mentioned Julia hadn't been at the meeting. Given that Julia was busy trying to convince the sisters to accept her he knew such a thing would be a bad move but parted of him wanted to make them stress. In truth they had located Julia. They had found her focused on channeling some kind of spell and realized breaking her focus would probably hinder her efforts and most likely seriously piss her off so they had left her to her work.

***********************************************************************************

“I wonder what kind of damage the defective faelom are going to do to the outside world. It is likely that this will refocus attention on the forest as their place of origin and even bring more attacks upon it. This will naturally hinder any effort you make at establishing new relationships with the outside world. Which could have all been prevented if you'd simply let us kill the defective ones.”  As she spoke Naidra was observing Joseph closely for his reaction. She knew that he was upset by the happenings and her words wouldn't bring him any comfort. That was the idea though. She needed to insure he realized his folly in allowing defective models to remain. Especially when those defective models had intentions of harming you.

Joseph didn't want to be the one to order the deaths of others. He didn't want to take that responsibility. He knew that the distrusted weren't welcome and had less then kind views of anyone that wasn't a sister. However, he didn't know all of them and to order the deaths of others with such limited knowledge of the person wasn't something he ever wanted to do. “Naidra if I gave you the order would you go and retrieve the seeds? That is do you know where the seeds are?”

“We know were the tree is and were the seeds are yes. As for if you were to order me to retrieve the seeds. No. I would not. The faelom have already began the pursuit of the seeds and I'm confident in their ability to locate the tree. Even if they fail the concern is moderate enough that I can ignore any order you give to retrieve the seeds. Now if you were to broaden the command a bit and allow us to handle those responsible for the removal of the tree and its seeds we might have to act upon your instructions.” As she spoke Naidra hoped that Joseph would finally give them permission to purge the distrusted. She doubted that he would. His ethics wouldn't allow such actions.

“Naidra I can't just order the death of others! Yes I'm sure that some of the distrusted should be killed but not all of them. Even if it means someone doesn't face justice I can't kill someone if I'm not certain they deserve to die.”

“Face justice?” Naidra made no attempt to hide her smile or her laughter as she noted the expression on Joseph's face. “Who said anything about justice? This isn't about justice this is about removing liabilities. They could be downright murderous and we wouldn't have any issues with them so long as the obeyed the Luvarian's guidelines and performed their function. Well and provided their minds were stable. You always have to worry about stability more if they're already a bit on the murderous side. I realize this is important to you though. So Joseph does your justice allow those not involved to come to harm? As if the defects manage to make use of your work a great many who had nothing to do with this forest might be harmed. Now that they have the potential to grow their own food source I doubt the defects will remain much longer.”

If only he could order Naidra and the others to retrieve the seeds and tree without killing the distrusted. Yet she had made it clear that he couldn't. At least she had said that he couldn't. Joseph was actually rather surprised whenever he noticed that Naidra's grin had grown even larger as if she was reading his mind. “Naidra as a Luvarian I order you to go retrieve the life bloom seeds and trees from the defective faelom without harming them.” As he spoke the last words Joseph actually found himself growing a little cold. Naidra made no aggressive moves towards him but something about uttering those last words reminded him of how large and powerful of a being he was dealing with.

Naidra felt like her face was going to split in two as she tried to fight back her smile. The fact that Joseph had resolved to test whether or not he could command them was amusing and actually a bit encouraging. “No. You lack the rank needed to give us any such commands but that was a nice try. Due to the categorization of weapons we belong to we're considered too powerful for Luvarians of your rank to order. The only reason you could instruct us to remove the defective faelom is we already have procedures in place to do so and we just need someone to grant us permission to implement them. Retrieve my project that I failed to properly contain doesn't work on us though.”

It had seemed worth a try. Naidra may have told him that she wouldn't follow such an order but he had to test it. “I believe one of the reasons they haven't told all the sisters yet is they know that it would draw Zarena's attention. We've been dancing around the issue for a while now. The fact that Zarena would demand the deaths of all the distrusted. If she learns about this she'll know we've been hiding them from her and the event will serve as confirmation for why they should have been killed. It kind of scares me when I think about it. How many people have been killed in the forest because they had the misfortune of encountering a distrusted who was looking for someone to make suffer?”

“Nearly a dozen this year. It doesn't happen as often as you may think. The faelom do a good job of patrolling their borders and the defective ones show little interest in such efforts. Over the centuries it has added up though and the long term cost is noteworthy. Watching it add up but needing permission to resolve the situation has been a constant source of frustration for us. Two of them died since we talked to you about gaining permission to dispose of the defective ones.”

Was she trying to make this more painful then what it already was? The tone and timing of Naidra's words made Joseph feel as if he had been kicked in the stomach. As if the situation was his fault. “Naidra will you please go retrieve the stolen life bloom and its seeds?”

This time Naidra didn't laugh though her smile didn't fade either. “A request. I will admit that makes it a bit more tempting to do what you want. You have been fairly proactive about honoring our request as well.” After a moment of silence Naidra was actually made to sigh. “Yes. Yes you have been proactive about most of the things we asked of you so I hate to decline your request. Retrieval of stolen goods is within our operational ability as well.”

She hadn't said yes yet but Joseph found himself smiling. He hadn't even considered that they had asked him to help bring Mina back to them as well as remain quiet about their secrets. It seemed like they did though and felt they had some kind of debt. “Does that mean you'll retrieve the seeds and life bloom?”

“Is that what you want me to do?”

“Yes!”

After a moments more of consideration Naidra gave a nod. She wasn't considering whether or not to do Joseph's favor but rather what to tell him. “Very well. Naturally the other faelom will still wonder what happened to the seeds and who stole them exactly. By retrieving the seeds before the exact culprits can be found though they will be forced to consider and quite possibly deal with all the defective faelom.” Once again Naidra's smile spread into a very toothy one as she noticed the shock on Joseph's face. “I'll go take care of this personally.”

“No! Hold on Naidra!” Joseph wasn't certain what he was going to say but with the revelation of Naidra's plan he felt he had to do something. He knew what she was saying was true. If the culprits weren't found the sisters would likely just blame all the distrusted. They had used similar methods when dealing with the escaped claimed. If it hadn't been for him all of the claimed that had ran would have suffered even more.

“Now don't worry Joseph I won't lay a hand on the claimed responsible sense you so clearly don't want to pass judgment on others. I won't even leave a trace that they were the ones who had the seeds.” Instead of waiting for Joseph to respond Naidra began to move at a comfortable pace away from him. Just fast enough to insure that the sound waves from his voice could never catch up to her.

Joseph could literally feel it whenever Naidra dashed out of the room. The moment reminded him of similar mistakes he had made with Maria and her running off before he could correct them. In this case though he felt true panic given that Naidra's actions were far more likely to get someone killed then Maria's were. His first instinct was to call for another sister to run her down but he quickly remembered that there was no other sisters around only the protectors. There was one other protector he could call upon though. “Alaina! I need your help!”

“Alaina is currently busy with Ridon. Is your problem something that could be handled by any one of us?”

Joseph did a little leap as a new protector addressed him. The fact that they were many of them and they could all hear him wherever he was within the citadel had slipped his mind. It wasn't just that though. They were all connected. If one of them knew something then they all knew it. “I need you to stop Naidra. Let her know that wasn't what I had intended and I want her to come back please!”

“She is well aware of that. We were all aware before you had told us.”

It felt like Joseph had been smacked as the implications of a connected mind once again settled in. “She knows what I'm talking to you about right now. She ran out like that just to cause me distress so that it would seem like I can't call her back!” As Joseph spoke he actually felt relief. He could tell this protector and Naidra would know what he had told her. She would return and probably make fun of him for becoming so panicked. She might even tell him about the advantages of communications.

“No. You can't.”

“What!” It felt like Joseph's heart had just slammed into his ribcage as the relief he had felt before had been evaporated in an instant.

“By your request you gave approval for this current line of action. These actions were already enforced and sanctioned by standard protocol. In truth we rather like how you chose to resolve the situation. We can finally motivate the production model faelom to do what should have been done long ago. This situation also benefits you as well.”

“If I approved this I should be able to put an end to it though!”

“No. As I mentioned this method fits with Luvarian standard practices. It will better serve to refine an existing product, remove a defective product and serve as an important lesson for you when it comes to what you ask for. A lesson I hope you take to heart. With all those aspects factoring into our decision this is truthfully a very efficient course of action which makes it impossible for you to order us to abort it and we have no intention of obeying a request to do so. After all. This was done in order to repay our debt to you.”

“I just walked through a one way door.”

“Yes! That is a wonderful way of looking at it. You asked if you could go in and the answer was yes. You never asked if you could leave. Oh be very careful about that whenever you get deeper within the citadel well if you ever do.


***********************************************************************************

“What's so funny?” As Ridon leaned against Alaina he couldn't help but notice her body lightly shaking. After a few moments he realized that she was struggling to keep herself from laughing. Before she had become a protector she had laughed often. At first he had feared that aspect of her being was lost with her body but after a while he had learned some aspects of it still remained. For her to suddenly begin laughing though was very strange these days. Whenever she'd been a sister before she was prone to such outburst but now he knew something must be going on.

“Joseph is receiving a lesson from Naidra and we seem to finally be able to resolve a problem that has been troubling us for quite some time. We won't be directly resolving it but it should work out quite nicely. The timing seems appropriate as well given that we've began to trim away the dead vines.” As she finished speaking Alaina felt the other protectors shift the emotional burden back onto her. Once again she found herself struggling to contain her laughter as she noted Joseph's distress.

As he looked up at Alaina Ridon couldn't help but frown. He had been glad when he learned that Joseph had been allowed into the citadel. At the same time though he'd been somewhat upset. Ridon had been allowed in due to his connection to Alaina. Joseph on the other hand was considered to be a true Luvarian. He knew Joseph had more accomplishments then him but was that why he was the Luvarian? “Alaina what would I have to do to be considered a true Luvarian?”

Immediately Alaina felt herself sober up. This wasn't due to her fellow protectors taking part of the burden but her own response. Ridon's question had her attention such that Joseph no longer seemed like a noteworthy point of interest for her. Immediately she shifted her position so that she was looking down into Ridon's eyes even as he leaned against her. “You must develop a passion for creation or at the very least the refinement of existing life that you currently lack. That would be the very first step at least. Without that desire you will never be considered a true Luvarian.”

“Do you mean I have to make things?” As he spoke Ridon began to straiten up and settle up on his knees bringing himself closer to Alaina's face. He was still far away though even as she continued to set on her rear.

“No. It isn't just the act of creating things Ridon or modifying things. You must carry within you a desire to create even without need. A true Luvarian would have a purpose for their creation but quite often there was no need for them or there was no need for something better. The objective and the creation should be reason enough for you to work towards that goal. As when the need arises it may be too late to begin the process. You and Julia refined a very powerful spell in order to find me but you already had a need to find me. Yet even now I may be hindering you by telling you this. As long as you believe that you're creating so that you may become closer to me you are working towards a need.”

“Joseph has a need though! His motivated by his desire to help our sisters. That's what he needs to do?”

“He may tell himself that. It isn't the truth though. It may have been in the beginning but now he works to refine the faelom because he carries within him a desire to refine them and see them improve. Even if their hunger had been completely satisfied by his life bloom he would continue to work on them. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to develop this desire to create or refine and in truth these desires aren't everything but they are essential.”

As he listened to Alaina Ridon bit down on his lower lip. He had always worked because there was a need that had to be met. Whenever there was nothing to do he tended to relax. Given what Alaina was telling him a true Luvarian would have taken that time to begin working on something on their own initiative. “Is there any way that the apprentices of old were conditioned to take on such an attitude?”

“At first nearly all apprentices were instructed on what they should work on. It was a task for them to achieve or in other words need based. This was necessary as they lacked the knowledge needed to do otherwise they needed guidance. As they learned though apprentices who wished to advance would begin working on projects of their own. Naturally these were needs based projects as they wanted to advance. Then in most cases the need would be forgotten and only the projects would remain. I suggest you begin working on something that would increase your status in your society or you believe would earn you access to more of the citadel.”

Ridon felt like his head was becoming foggy as he tried to imagine what it would be like to earn the title of a Luvarian. The notion of trying to do something that would earn him his way in while knowing that it wouldn't seemed to twist his brain into knots. He had to chase phantoms until the phantoms were forgotten and the only thing that remained was the chase. Was he even capable of such a change of mentality? “So I have to either create a new form of life, unlife or modify some that already exist right?”

“Yes. There is some room for the undead as well but that wasn't the Luvarian's primary interest. Would you like me to assign you a task that fits with your skill set?” Alaina expected Ridon to perk up the moment she made the offer and she was right. Despite knowing what he was going to do in advance she still found herself quite pleased with his response. “Now just so you know this isn't something that I came up with on my own. This is actually a standard bit of work that simply hasn't been undertaken for a very long time. You are to construct yourself a spiritual assistant.”

“Huh?” Ridon actually felt himself sink a little whenever he noticed Alaina frowning. “Sorry I'm just not sure exactly what you mean. Could I get the details?”

“Gather information about spirits such as spirits of fire, earth, water, hope, fear, life and so on then once you have a base think of what kind of spirit would be the most beneficial to your efforts. You are then to contract with one of those base spirits and capture the others. I recommend focusing on weaker spirits especially without any spirit hunters to help you out. In doing so you will shape the spirit of origin into a new existence. Often the Luvarians would allow their partner to feed on their own spiritual energies as well in order to further refine them. Convincing the spirits to merge into one being is also possible and in truth works far better then feeding but the terms can be difficult to negotiate. Especially as it's much safer to work with spirits who haven't fully developed their minds yet.”

“You mean you want me to make another amalgam!” Ridon felt like his heart had leaped into his throat as his body began to tremble.

“Ridon stop being stupid I know that you're a smart person. The amalgam as you call it was an unbalanced mixture of spiritual existences that were never meant to be joined together. The whole point of first researching the spirits you wish to make use of and then making a plan on joining is so that they'll be in proper balance. I also recommend that you think good and hard about the contract you seek to forge. Actually after that outburst of you my confidence in your intelligence has decreased. Run the contract you seek to forge by me first so that I can ensure you haven't made any foolish mistakes.”

Chapter 38 by happiest_in_shadows

Ridon actually felt himself recoil a bit. That was most assuredly something Aphila would have never said. As the thought entered his mind Ridon had to hold his mouth shut. Alaina had told him before that she wasn't Aphila. They were the same spirit but their bodies and memories had changed. It still felt like someone had shoved a dagger inside of him and began to repeatedly twist it ripping the wound open larger with each twist. He doubted that Alaina would show him any sympathy either. Would she ever notice? “That sounds like a good idea. I guess I don't always think clearly.”

“Especially when you're upset. I just moved further away from your memories of Aphila I can hear it in your voice. Just as I hear the excitement whenever your image of me becomes closer to her.” As she spoke Alaina felt like telling Ridon that such tones actually hurt her. The thought that whenever he looked on her Ridon was actually looking at a dead faelom was quite unpleasant. She had grown attached to him and would have much preferred for him to see her as who she was rather then seeing what parts of her was like and unlike Aphila. She would tolerate such behavior for now and not add to his grief.

“Yeah. You warned me in the beginning though. I've just been putting a lot of effort into unlearning that lesson it seems. Well like Julia said. The best cure for feeling bad is hard work. If you're busy then you don't have time to feel sorry for yourself. So what reading would you recommend for my spirit study?” Ridon immediately realized he'd made a mistake by the way Alaina was looking at him. “Use the library's systems. I hear you.”

“That is better. Granted whenever you use that terminal I'm helping make the decision for you as well.”

“Huh?”

“As I've said before we're all networked with the citadel. We all know each book that you make use of and each of us helps decide what books you should read. It is simply whenever you ask me such a question my conscious mind is more involved while when using the library it's more of a subconscious act for us. At times this leads to decisions that even we didn't expect.”

Nodding his head Ridon finally stood up. “Well how about we go to the library and I'll see what your subconscious says that I need.”

***********************************************************************************

The life bloom was not a natural plant though the forest was truthfully filled with plants people wouldn't consider natural. A simple side affect of having so many alchemicaly useful plants in the same area. It was still new to the forest though and unlike the other plants had not had time to spread. It also gave off a unique mystic signature which was making it exceptionally easy for Naidra to track. As she moved through the forest she was mindful of the force she touched the plants with in order to avoid leaving any marks of her passing. Her fur shifted as she moved transferring the light from one side of her body to another concealing her form. This was tricky when moving quickly. If she moved too quickly there would be a clear distortion. Fortunately she could see the auras of those around her and for the moment she had little fear of being seen as it mattered little if the birds and lizards saw her.

She could still feel Joseph in the citadel. His concern and his panic was still increasing as he no doubt was imaging the outcome of his actions. He probably even thought she had retrieved the seeds already. That wasn't quite the case though. Even Naidra could only move so quickly and avoid damaging the forest. The fact that she had to move without leaving a path that would draw concern or be possible for the sisters to follow also limited her movements especially with them learning tracking methods that didn't rely on their sense of smell or hearing. A sudden feeling of weakness rushing throughout her body and her mind fogging stripped those thoughts from her mind as it seemed she would slam into a tree. The fact that she was suddenly on the other side of that tree surprised her even more and told her what was happening.

***********************************************************************************

“You have forgotten in your desire to regain what you lost. Seeking to regain what you lost is foolish whenever something better is just as likely. Relieve his fear.”

As Joseph had been pacing and trying desperately to think of a means of recalling Naidra he was surprised by a sudden feeling of weakness. His legs seemed to melt and nearly yielded to his own weight. Even more surprising though the protector who had been speaking to him. Whose name he had yet to learn had suddenly crumbled and began breathing very hard. Her eyes turned towards the ground. It was something he'd never seen. “What just happened?”

“One of the problems with a connected mind. If one mind is too powerful it can overwhelm all the others even their own thoughts. It. It seems though that my senior believes that we've acted in folly.”

Was the being speaking to the protectors the reason that he had felt his own muscles giving out? Was that simply some residual side affect of being so close to a protector when this senior had spoken? Those were both questions Joseph wanted to know but there was one far more pressing. “You mean Naidra is going to be returning?”

“No. That wasn't our mistake our mistake was putting such stress on you whenever you've not yet been refined enough to endure it. Joseph how many of the production class faelom actually know about the missing seeds? Just as importantly what type of person is the production class faelom that knows of those seeds?”

Once again Joseph felt like his brain had locked up. It was Vera who was currently leading the hunt for the seeds and she had only told those sisters she could trust of what had happened. They were intentionally keeping all the other sisters in the dark about what had happened for fear of how they would respond. Vera was already concerned about how the other sisters would respond. “I. I only have to convince Vera to keep quiet about what happened once the seeds and plant have been recovered. All the distrusted don't have to die over this but she's still going to want to know who's responsible!”

“Who's scent would be on the seeds once they're given to her?”

“Are you going to be alright?” Despite the situation Joseph couldn't help but be concerned for the protector before him. Even if she had just scared the day lights out of him apparently they had thought more about the situation then he had.

“Control of my body was temporarily taken from me by the force of the words. I'll be able to manage my body in a few moments. I'll go ahead and warn you that you should make contact with Vera soon. What Naidra told you may happen is still within the realm of possibility if Vera was to resolve to enlist the aid of the other sisters in her search. It is also up to you in order to speak with the apprentices and earn their silence. Yet you still have a problem.”

It was his problem. The thought positively made Joseph shiver as he considered the implications. So they find the seeds and stop the distrusted from doing any harm this time. What would happen the next time they tried? Would he be able to keep their efforts hidden then? How much longer could they keep Zarena in the dark and how much longer until the sisters themselves decided to do something about the situation? Joseph actually found his legs growing weak again as his legs seemed to be losing his strength.

“Vera is beyond your reach right now. You should at least begin talking with the apprentices. A loose tongue amongst them would work just as well as one from Vera.”

Giving his head a nod Joseph managed to force himself to stand and begin to move. He was aware enough to know that the citadel would guide him to where he would need to be. He wasn't aware enough to realize the protector had never told him her name.

***********************************************************************************

“I guess we can't simply leave the distrusted to their own activities any longer. You know given their limited size also including a restriction on their ability to have a child we always thought they would eventually fade away. Especially with the pressure the other sisters put upon them. It sure seemed like they would be gone soon before but they always managed to regain their numbers even if those numbers have never been very large.” As he spoke Nathan found himself running his hands along the table. Joseph had come to him, Mirin and a few others that were still in the citadel to talk about the life bloom issue and the distrusted in general.

“We should have known better with how the sisters have been keeping their presences a secret from Zarena. I'm sure that the distrusted at least were hoping that Zarena would be sleeping soon. Then she just stays awake and even begins working on a home for herself. Now they know they're one wrong sentence away from being killed and the danger seems like it's going to be around for a very long time. I just wish that would have prompted them to reconsider their views.” Mirin tried to keep a proactive mentality whenever it came to helping in their development. The distrusted issue was something he stayed away from though seeing it as something for the sisters to resolve. “I'm not certain what we can do though.”

“The problem is they truly believe that the sisters would be better off if we were kept under their control. In some cases even more so then the control that's exerted over the claimed. At least they have the ability to regain their freedom. Then they go and try to exert that control and there is a real problem. How do you prove to one of them that their belief is mistaken though? Given the resent happenings and the loosening of restrictions it should be even more apparent now then in the past that we benefit most when we work as a community instead of masters and servants.”

“Slaves would be a more accurate term.” A sigh escaped Nathan as he looked at Joseph. “We all know this though. Of course. I suppose we don't have to change their minds. We just have to obtain their compliance with certain standards. I'm a little fearful that could lead to the development of a hidden. Hm no no. That's kind of silly in this society.”

“I wouldn't say that it's impossible but it sure is rough to keep anything hidden here. I guess the situation with the seeds has you thinking on this doesn't it Joseph.”

“Yes. Before I was fairly content to forget that aspect of our society. Even with the issue caused by Zarena and the prospect of awakening other sleepers I just figured the sisters would resolve the issue. With what has happened though I just can't ignore it anymore. When I think about it. I'm really ashamed that I didn't bring this issue up sooner especially when Zarena made her stance on the subject clear. Yet I can't help but feel it's a little strange. We've been treating Zarena as if she's above the rules the other sisters follow. Is there something I don't understand?”

Nathan wasn't surprised when everyone looked to him and gave a nod. “Zarena is loyal to the rules of conduct from her time. A time whenever the distrusted wouldn't have been tolerated by any sisters not just her. Honestly it's going to be hard to change her mind about that as well. Just consider all the problems she had with our current situation and really she was right about them. It isn't just Zarena's size and power that makes this an issue though it's how the other sisters view her. Joseph I'm sure you're aware that for the sisters size is a sign of rank. Now sleepers, matrons and keepers are officially roughly of equal rank. One sleeper could not outrank two keepers except during a battle. Yet from a political view point we know the sleepers words carry far more weight.”

“So even if they don't have to follow her lead it's quite likely many sisters would follow her lead.”

“Yes. Just think about how she's been scolding the sisters in general over these last few weeks. How she supported the spirit hunters and how she reprimanded them for being so controlling of us. Between Zarena's size, her age, her sacrifices for the community and the recent beatings to their egos  most sisters would be quite ready to follow Zarena. It doesn't help that the vast majority do not like the distrusted. It's hard to like someone who looks upon your brother or especially your child and sees a slave after all.”

“Could you talk to Zarena Nathan and convince her to find another solution?”

“Oh wow!” For a moment Nathan went silent as he felt his heart rate speed up. The notion of speaking to Zarena about something she felt strongly about and trying to convince her otherwise wasn't welcome. It didn't help that he agreed with her view points in many ways. “That is going to be hard Joseph and very risky. We all heard about Pera's questioning her and how Zarena responded. I swear I wish we had ordered that child to avoid her. Now if I start talking to her about such issues she's going to know that something is wrong. To be more precise she's going to realize Pera wasn't asking her what if questions. Now if I can't convince her to hold off she's going to take what she believes is the appropriate actions.”

“You don't believe she'd at least wait for a while if the brothers insisted they want to handle the situation? She may not have considered that the brothers might have their own solution to the problem whenever she responded to Pera.”

“That is true. If we're going to do this though we need to have a plan and I mean a detailed plan in the event I'm not capable of changing Zarena's mind but can convince her to let us try to resolve the situation. I can't promise you anything though. It's quite possible that she still take this issue up with the sisters and they may resolve on a more immediate solution.”

“Is it anymore more dangerous then doing nothing or trying to implement a new system while keeping it secret from her?” As Mirin spoke he found himself glad they were in the citadel. He wasn't certain if he would feel secure in the laboratory with a conversation of this nature. It went well beyond their usual plans. “I can see what you mean by we need a plan to deal with the distrusted. Let's start by looking at the issues. The distrusted see us as no different then the claimed and many of them believe the claimed are treated too well. Given that they see us as claimed it's pretty clear they also don't believe in any form of promotion system or regaining your freedom. This is the core belief that leads to a sister becoming one of the distrusted.”

Nathan, “Except some of them seem to also believe that we should serve as a food source.” As Nathan spoke he found himself disliking the idea of speaking to Zarena on behalf of the distrusted even more. It wouldn't be easy to make a compelling argument for people who had such a low opinion of him.

“True. The sisters are going to never accept them so long as they hold this belief. It doesn't matter that they can't act upon the belief. This is both because they fear that the distrusted may try to act upon such beliefs on a small scale that may be hidden and simply because they find such mentality offensive. I know I wouldn't be able to put up with another brother talking about Sora as if she was a slave. I would probably even start throwing some lightning bolts at them.”

Joseph, “Don't you believe this will change if the brothers become stronger though? I mean with the reformation of the spirit hunters and the brothers being better trained in combat surely that could help us be seen in a different light.”

Nathan, “Joseph you seem to miss the part where they see us as claimed or even less then what we see the claimed as. The only difference between a claimed and one that could harm the sister would be how carefully they'd be watched and what keeper could serve as their keeper. The only thing us learning to defend ourselves is going to do is make them more weary of us. Not only that but we're not all going to become spirit hunters as you may recall.”

“That is true. I. Well does anyone else have any suggestions?”

Mirin, “Well compliance was mentioned earlier but lets be honest. The sisters and honestly I'm never going to be content with simple compliance. Teaching them to comply is just teaching them to hide the truth and wait for an opportunity. So the question is this. How do we change what they think of us?”

Once again it was that question. As Joseph considered it he thought of the usual methods. He could argue that both groups benefited more by working together rather then as masters and servants. Unfortunately that argument had already been mentioned before and the distrusted dismissed it. Even after the war had shown that it was largely the weakening of the brothers and the diminishing of their responsibilities that had let the amalgam come about.

Ridon, “Instead of allowing them to roam freely we could put the distrusted into a claimed system meant for sisters. There they could be taught and made to work in hopes of changing their views. I guess suffering isn't likely to work though. After all sense they're kept at a childlike size their hunger pains are always going to be some of the worse.”

Nathan, “Those are lessons that they were taught growing up and chose to reject. That would be Zarena's response and quite honestly the response of most of the keepers as well.”

Mirin, “What about a more active training program then? I mean sure their hunger is painful but the pain can always be worse. Even an intelligent being can be reconditioned for certain behaviors if you're willing to go far enough.”

Joseph, “Mirin it sounds like you're talking about torture.”

Mirin didn't hesitate to nod his head in agreement. “Joseph you're not talking about a simple issue here. Now I'm sure you realized that many claimed don't regain their freedom as they refuse to change their behavior. Even whenever there is a system in place they simply refuse to abide by the rules. With the distrusted though they're not just being asked to abide by the rules but to change their mentalities. A mentality that they've retained despite all the changes going on around then and even before that a great deal of pressure from their sisters. They even choose to suffer with their hunger with no real chance of progression and having it decreased rather then change their views.”

“Perhaps instead of suffering they need some kindness then.” Joseph actually felt like he'd been smacked upside the head when he noticed the looks he was being given. Even Ridon seemed to be looking at him as if he was an idiot. It actually seemed to hurt more then normal whenever Ridon was the one that chose to speak up.

It wasn't as if the distrusted had been singled out from birth to be rejects. They were raised with the same love and consideration that was shown to all children within their society. It was only when they became adults that they began to really feel the pressure to strive for their advancement and size. As young sisters were allowed to eat freely to accommodate their developing bodies. “Joseph I don't know how you could say or even think that. The distrusted aren't some fringe group. Perhaps you should set down and speak to one of the mothers of a distrusted and find out exactly how she raised her child. That or perhaps it would be better if you spoke to a brother who had fathered a distrusted.”

Nathan, “Joseph you've never actually spoken to a distrusted unless there was a meeting I'm not aware of.”

“No. Maria has never let me speak with one and I've never really tried to. Actually when I think about it seems she might have chased them off whenever they started to approach me or perhaps I was approaching them. I would at least like to get to know them.”

Nathan, “It isn't surprising you haven't really spoken to one of them. The sisters have issues with us standing near someone that could kill us in an instant and who may have the inclination to do so. Well they aren't criminals and it seems a bit unfair to make any solid decisions without their consent. Joseph sense you're the one pushing for this though are you prepared to actually set down and speak with a few distrusted and perhaps those involved in raising them?”

“I believe it could be quite enlightening.”

Nathan, “Fine. I'll see what I can do.”

***********************************************************************************

“Your plan has a ninety nine percent chance of having a ninety percent failure rate. The probability of complete failure still exceeds ninety percent with the current generation of distrusted.” As she spoke Naidra was currently setting the recovered seeds down in front of Joseph the life bloom was a few meters away in a large pot.

Joseph felt himself recoil. He had just asked Naidra as to how sound his plan in regards to the distrusted was. It had been a question he'd asked many times while working on the glyph and many times he had been told what he had done wrong. This was the first time that he felt like he'd received a jab to the stomach. It was also the first time he felt himself feeling a bit frustrated with Naidra. “Could I know the data you have supporting that estimate?”

Naidra couldn't help but chuckle as she looked at Joseph. “You're worried that I'm upset that you're not handling the situation the way I wanted you to and I'm lashing out because of that. We're all a little annoyed that you have such a low opinion of us. As for your question. I could have a personal report for you in forty minutes or if you'd like you can just read through the Luvarian's analyzes on the defective faelom and corrective attempts.”

“A Luvarian report? You mean to say that they were distrusted before before the collapse of the Luvarians?”

“The mass production models faelom have limited control over their spiritual aspects. This introduces an element of unpredictability that can't be removed without degrading the product. Education and careful biological design can minimize these but they still exist. These elements contribute to the mass produced faelom's individuality, creative abilities and several other beneficial aspects. However, it also means they're going to be a few unacceptable products. So yes the mentality that you label distrusted already existed during the time of the Luvarians.” As she spoke Naidra noted the expression on Joseph's face. The shock was fairly clear on his face, in his scent and in his energies. He was shaken.

“I see. Then this personal report would include your own observations?”

“Yes as well as an analyzes of the methods the production model fealom used in an attempt to convert the distrusted to a more acceptable mind set as well as their success rates. I'm sure you realize that you're not the first to try to deal with the distrusted issue.”

“Naidra in the past when they tried to deal with the distrusted issue why didn't they kill them then?”

“At times they did. The problem is that the mentality you label distrusted isn't something that can be exterminated. As long as the production model faelom are being produced with free and independent minds there will be some that decide that other species are beneath them and should serve them despite their strong protective inclinations. How this results is detailed in my report but to put it simply it's mostly due to the faelom's strong protective desires being turned inwards resulting in an inflated sense of self worth and notions of entitlement.”

“Well I've already managed to come up with one method you admitted has never been tested before. Let me have a look at those reports and I'll do it again. Start with the Luvarian one and then bring me yours in a bit.” As Joseph spoke he actually felt his self assurance growing. He felt like he was standing a little taller and he was actually smiling at Naidra. He was a bit surprised whenever she was smiling back at him.

“I don't know if you'll ever be upper level leadership material Joseph but you have the makings of a truly superb project development director.”

“Huh? You actually said something nice to me!” Joseph could swear he noticed Naidra's face drifting in the surprised direction as she looked at him. Her mouth didn't open wide and neither did her eyes change much but her muscles seemed to twitch. She was able to regain control of them before they could finish the act though and return to her previous smile.

It was tempting to admonish Joseph for wasting resources but Naidra didn't consider it appropriate. He had helped with the faelom's development and thanks to Joseph Ridon was feeling inspired to work towards becoming a Luvarian and not just an invited guest. Even if Joseph would never be the Luvarian they desired he could show the way for others. Even now they were apprentices working to refine Joseph's life bloom and hopefully they would go beyond that. One thing that interested her a great deal was if Joseph's new studies worked out would they continue to develop the bloom. “It is up to you now to present the seeds. I am curious how you intend on doing so.”

“I was. Well actually I was thinking of telling them that you brought them to me. Not you as in name you but say that the protectors retrieved the seeds. You have brought us items before after all. You've even protected apprentices and I'm sure some faelom in the past and Zarena says that you used to do a lot more. So I don't think it's unreasonable that you would have brought a stolen magical item back.” As he spoke Joseph actually felt rather nervous. Naidra had explained earlier that they wouldn't stop him from revealing their secrets but would prefer if he didn't. How would she respond to him giving away this bit of information.

“They'll realize that we're capable of leaving the citadel if you do that. Which really doesn't bother me. Just because we're never seen outside the citadel doesn't mean we don't leave it and I'm sure. Well now I know that several of us would like the chance to be outside and not worry about remaining hidden. Now we're fractured in our belief about what is best.” As she spoke Naidra closed her right eye. This lightened the burden on her mind ever so slightly as the voices of the various protectors began to argue amongst one another.

“Are you okay Naidra?”

“Yes I'm fine with you revealing that much. We are not all in agreement though. Well it doesn't matter to much but we are going to be a while in resolving this issue.”

“I thought you all always got along due to your linked mind.”

“No! Oh no! A linked mind just removes miss understandings which helps a great deal in communication. It also forces you to resolve the issue as you can't just be quiet about it. Not that we're all always happy with the end result. Fine. Joseph a few of them insist that I say this. They fear that revealing we can leave the citadel will actually hinder our privacy as it's likely the production model faelom will go in search of us. What they aren't thinking about is the fact that we have very little scent making us very hard to track, the ability to shift light around ourselves making us hard to see and that this forest is simply massive so that any attempts to search for us would be a wasted effort.”

“That last part wasn't them was it?”

“No. That was me talking to you and them and now they're mad at me for making them look bad in front of the first Luvarian in a several hundreds of years.”

“You pick on one another!” Unlike Naidra Joseph couldn't hide his surprise. All the time he'd spent with the protectors they seemed to be working as a single unit. Individuals but all having the same purpose. To think on them picking on one another was amusing.

***********************************************************************************

Vera felt more then a little strange as she looked at the pile of seeds and the life bloom itself. Whenever she was asked to handle a task she either handled it or the task didn't get taken care of. She had never once had someone finish a task for her since she had began working on special request for the brothers. It wasn't something she was happy about. The fact that there was no one to catch her mistakes tended to annoy her more then make her proud. Yet as she looked at the seeds she felt very strange. Had she failed in her task? Had she succeeded? The goal was to bring the seeds and plant back or destroy them and that had been done. “So you're being honest with me. The protectors brought you these seeds and not Fera or Sora?”

It felt strange whenever Vera asked it. It reminded Joseph of how little interaction the sisters had with the protectors. “Yes. It was a little while after the meeting with the brothers about how to handle the distrusted. They simply walked up to me and presented the seeds as well as the plants. After they set them down they walked off.” As Joseph spoke he was careful not to lie to Vera. Naidra had indeed presented the plant and seeds to him as well as walked off. She had simply walked off after they had a rather lengthy conversation.

“That is well. That is quite surprising on many levels. I never knew that the protectors left the citadel but then again we can't exactly keep track of them. I wonder what prompted them to retrieve the plant. Were we that close to some climatic failure and didn't know about it? It's actually a little frightening whenever I consider that they didn't help with the amalgam. Well then again perhaps they did and we didn't see them then either.” As she spoke Vera walked over to the seeds and bent down taking in several deep breaths of air as she did. She wanted to get the scent of the distrusted who had handled them.

Mirin didn't need to ask to realize what Vera was doing and he knew that he needed to speak up. “Vera there is something that we want to talk you about. We don't want you to hunt down and punish the distrusted though hunting them might still be required?”

Vera was surprised. After the brothers had been so panicked whenever they had come to her to tell her to hold off on hunting them down was surprising. “I take it you want me to keep this a secret as well. I'll speak to my girls and make sure they know not to talk about this hunt for now. May I know why though?”

As he listened to her Joseph was rather surprised. He had expected Vera to take a considerable amount of convincing to keep this a secret. It served as a reminder that she often helped brothers with task that they didn't want the sisters to know about but couldn't have done without their aid. Vera probably knew about more secret dealings then anyone brother did as they all relied upon her for such things. “We want to try to integrate the distrusted back into the community through a well for a lack of better word a training program. It may be somewhat similar to the claimed system you're currently using.”

“Claimed can't run off into the forest and escape with the same ease that a distrusted can. They would also require far more effort to murder someone.”

Mirin, “We know those are two of the issues we're currently working on finding a solution for.”

Vera, “Well it's fairly simple. Assign a designated area for the distrusted. If they're caught outside of it they die.”

Joseph, “Don't you believe that's a bit harsh Vera? They might have a good reason for being outside of the designated area.”

“Fine. First they can explain themselves to a group of keepers and if their reason is found lacking or a lie they die.”

Joseph had been trying to help the distrusted for a while now. It was a notion that Mirin considered strange when he thought of what they would do to him if they could. “Joseph I believe Vera is right on how to handle this issue. At the most their presence outside of the designated area without approval could only be tolerated a few times if we're to go through with this.”

***********************************************************************************

To say that Lidra felt uncomfortable would have been an understatement. The first thing she'd seen upon walking into the citadel was one of the protectors looking strait at her. The massive creature seemed even larger then the keepers and while her face showed no emotion she felt as if the creature desired her death. It might have been due to the citadel itself though. The site of their creation and their original slavers. The temptation to rake her claws across the floor and try to cause some damage was there but she could never get over the feeling she was being watched and that would have great consequences. The notion that Vera looked less hostile then the protector almost made her laugh. “So where is this meeting taking place? I don't appreciate being drug out here like some servant.”

For a moment all Vera did was shake her head. Most sisters were glad whenever the brothers called upon them for some special reason. It often implied they were trusted and could be used as a point of status. To Lidra it was different though. Her behavior reminded Vera of a claimed who had only surrendered to save their life, blamed his keeper for all his problems and was determined to do as little as possible. Part of her wanted Lidra to keep the attitude though it would serve as a lesson. “The brother who wants to speak to you is this way. I'm going to be remaining in the room to insure that you don't try anything.”

“Oh yes! Because I'm so stupid that I would kill one of your pets leaving it painfully obvious that it was me that did it. Perhaps I would scar him up some and see if you could rush in to help before I made the damage permanent. I am not an idiot Vera. Unlike many.”

Vera actually felt herself twitch slightly. She really wanted to smack the distrusted to the ground and perhaps loosen a few teeth. Most sisters were rather nervous around her. Being one of the few sisters that had actively trained to fight and kill other sisters gave her a sort of presence. She held that desire in though she could could feel her ears flicking about as she worked to contain her emotions. “Follow me.” Vera felt like she was going to have to put a whole in her tongue to keep from saying you little bitch as she turned and began to walk. She truly was not used to anyone mouthing off to her.

***********************************************************************************

 Joseph felt more then a little awkward as Lidra walked into the room shortly after Vera. Her stature reminded him of when he had found Maria. Maria hadn't even been a guardian at the time and Lidra seemed to be the same size as her. The expression on her face though and her body language was far different from Maria's though especially when she looked at him.  “Please to.”

“What's this about! Why did you send this beast to fetch me? I swear we tolerate being trapped at this ridiculous size so that we may live our lives apart from this atrocity. Now you go intruding on what little bit of comfort we've managed to obtain.”

“Drug?” As he spoke Joseph turned his attention to Vera.

“None of them were willing to come when I asked and I did ask. Finally I had to use my rank as a keeper to force Lidra here to come.”

Lidra, “You're lucky you've grown to such a large size or I would have put you in your place.”

Vera's ears were twitching again. Of course if she beat the day lights out of a distrusted they would contribute the win to her larger size. It was enough to make Vera wish she could revert to the size of a distrusted just so she could beat them silly with an equally scaled body. She was certain that her combat training would give her an overwhelming advantage even at the same size. “Lidra I truly hope that the day comes whenever you're allowed to grow as large as I am.”

As Joseph listened to Vera's voice he felt his blood run cold and actually shivered a bit. Her words were nice but the tone of her voice cut through the room like a knife. It was the most threatening well wishing that he had ever heard. He was actually quite surprised when Lidra took a step back from Vera. Apparently she had picked up on the hidden meaning as well. The only thing he was left wondering was whether or not Vera would kill Lidra if they were the same size or if she'd settle for beating her within a centimeter of her life. “Lidra the reason I asked Vera to bring me someone that could represent the distrusted if we're making plans to bring you back into the community.”

“You mean you believe you've found a way to shackle our minds just like our bodies are shackled to this forest. It was the failings of human leadership that brought us to this low position. Only whenever we began to assert our dominance over you did we begin to progress but too many aren't willing to go far enough. You say the reason we faced that Amalgam was because we were too controlling. The only reason that amalgam could threaten us is we didn't keep you humans on a tight enough leash! Now tell me why I've been brought here.”

She sure wasn't shy about expressing her view points. As Joseph listened to Lidra the accusations weren't just in her words but in her tone of voice as well. “Lidra the reason you were brought here is because if something isn't done all of you are going to die. We're trying to save you.”

“Save us? You're trying to kill our minds and spirits. You don't want to save me you want to warp and twist me into your servant with promises of prosperity and an end to our hunger. We had plans to save ourselves. We finally had a food source that would allow us to be free of this forest. This prison that so many have been tricked into thinking is a home because they have no where else to go. You know you can't let us do that though. You can't let us make a home for ourselves elsewhere because then your pets will have a choice and they'll see the truth.”

“A food source that I developed and the brothers implemented. A food source that you lack the ability to properly tend to or manage and a food source that I won't let you turn into a curse upon the world.”

“Is that the lies you tell yourself to keep us bound here? The others seem to believe that you shared the life bloom with us to help us. Why don't you reveal the truth? That it's another chain to bind us to your will. Especially after you just claimed dominion over it.”

***********************************************************************************

It wasn't uncommon for Joseph to be tired after working. Developing new alchemical potions and glyphs tended to require quite a bit of thought as well as trial and error. Out of all those tiresome days though Maria hadn't seen him like this before as he leaned against her leg his eyes closed. She placed her hand on his chest and began to gently message it as she listened to his breath. Not only had he closed his eyes but he had covered them with his right arm. “I guess you're talk with the distrusted didn't go as well as you planned it to.”

“Everything we did in her eyes was a means to control them and every mistake that was made could have been avoided if we have been watched more carefully. I'm a horrible monster that wishes to make you dependent on me through the use of the life bloom. Oh and teaching you to better channel energy into your bodies is just me increasing your dependance on me to think for you.” A sigh escaped Joseph as he risked opening his eyes and looking up at Maria. “Did you know Vera's ears twitch whenever she's angry? I always thought she had a really good poker face.”

“Vera? No! It's pretty obvious whenever she's angry they just aren't many things that actually make her angry. Now she can hide it whenever she's annoyed very well. Joseph don't you think you're over working yourself? You're developing the glyph and still trying to be part of the life bloom project. Now you're wanting to begin working with the distrusted? I really think you're trying to do too much. Just leave the distrusted to the keepers.”

“Maria the keepers are probably just going to end up killing the distrusted. How long do you think you can keep Zarena from hearing about them? How many sisters do you believe will side with her after everything that has happened? I doubt many will even question Zarena's reasons at this point. What about you? What do you think we should do with the distrusted?”  As he spoke Joseph focused intently on Maria looking into her eyes. Given what she had done to the soldiers whenever they first met he doubted she would show them much sympathy.

For a moment Maria went silent. She knew that Joseph was trying to help the distrusted and that meant he felt it was the right thing to do. She felt her nose twitch whenever she imagined trying to help the distrusted though. It wasn't a notion that set well with her. “I feel for their parents I'll say that. Most mothers of a distrusted don't even like to acknowledge their child's beliefs and in many cases they don't like the child to even be mentioned as it's nearly impossible to separate the two. As painful as it is to be the parent of a distrusted though it'd be worse to see them killed for those beliefs. At the same time though it makes me so angry to see one of them looking upon a brother and know she only sees a claimed. I just want to smack the bitch around until her eyes swell up so she can't look upon him anymore. Then when I caught one looking at you I just wanted to take her head off.”

“I guess that means you'd be siding with Zarena.”

“No. I would side with you but I would want to side with Zarena. I love you more then I love Zarena and hate the distrusted put together after all. I really wonder what you might do to change them though.”

“So do I. Maria do you know what the distrusted were like before they became distrusted?”

“Took a twenty year nap and I'm not very old to begin with.”

To this Joseph gave a nod. “When you were having issues with your eating how did the other sisters treat you?”

“Oh let's see here. Well at first my mother told me that I was eating more then what I should and I knew that of course. I told her that it was just a little bit and she gave me the talk about how a little bit can lead to growth. So she suggested some things that would take up space in my stomach and let me slip food into my mouth but wasn't very nourishing. Unfortunately this tends to leave a hollow feeling inside of us which really doesn't stop the pain it just. I guess you might say it redirects the pain. So they started watching me. I remember Stella taking my hands and gently moving them away from the food telling me that I had enough for the moment. Then I tried to argue I just wanted a little more and she threatened to whoop me so hard that I'd develop a phobia of grilled fish.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she looked at Joseph.

“Well that sounds like Stella. So the other sisters tried to help you out?”

“They did. That's why I had to start going further into the forest if I was going to do my snacking. The time I spent gone became longer and my snacking became worse. I tried to avoid the others or not be standing whenever they came looking for me but it soon became impossible to hide. Then one day when I found myself standing next to a tree and realized how large I'd grown I was just so ashamed. It was hard to believe how weak I was.”

“I see. I thought there might be something to compare how the distrusted and a sister who's gone beyond what they're allowed to eat are treated.”

“No! Goodness no. Now when it came time for the meeting in which the keepers would decide how to handle the situation that was rough. The only choices were kill me or put me to sleep. If I resisted going to sleep then I would be killed. Well due to that the meeting was actually rather simple. It was settled that I would be given a week to spend with my mother and friends and be allowed to go to sleep full. The condition that you're in when you go to sleep supposedly can heavily affect how comfortable of a sleep it is. I felt so sick! Then when I looked at my mother it felt like something inside of me had crumbled. I'm not sure what a distrusted see whenever she looks at her mother.”

“They would have killed you and you were well liked?”

“Yes. We will mass execute other sentient beings if they allowed their population to outgrow the agreed upon limits by too much. Well if they refuse to handle the problem internally. Now twice when the orcs population outgrew what was allowed a good number of them chose to leave the forest rather then die. I have no idea how that worked out for them.  If we're going to hold others to such harsh terms then of course we're going to have to hold ourselves to same standards. It's a shame that the orcs can't choose to sleep the same way that we do though. Now the druids are downright impossible to keep in check with that shapeshifting of theirs. I swear even now after I make a kill and start eating it part of me wonders. Is this a real animal or am I eating a druid that didn't change forms quickly enough?”

“I suppose that is one danger of ambush hunting.”

“It's not just ambush hunting! Some of those people are so dedicated to living as part of nature they won't even return to human to save their own lives. We've gotten side tracked though. You were all torn up after your meeting with the distrusted. I can tell you now that speaking with the mother on the subject won't be any easier. It's not something they really like to talk about. I believe the only thing that would be worse then having a distrusted child would be having given birth to a brother and a distrusted daughter. To have a son and know that your daughter looks upon him as a slave. We have enough trouble handling it whenever two sisters of the same mother dislike one another strongly. Not that such happenings are common.”

“Yeah. As I recall you said that  your mom is quite a special case because she had two daughters so close together. It must have seemed even more special given that you had been put to sleep before Dremera was born.”

“Yes and side tracked again.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he nodded his head. He could understand why it wasn't an issue the mothers of the distrusted wanted to talk about. Surely they would be for returning their daughters tot he community though. “Maria if we don't do something about the distrusted Zarena is going to learn about them. It's amazing that she hasn't learned about them already and honestly I believe it's due to the fact that she's been keeping herself busy. We have to implement something now.”

“Joseph I don't particularly see why we have to implement something. This isn't a case where they were born with a defective body or was never part of our community. This is a decision they made by themselves. They know that such minds sets aren't welcome within our community and they're just barely tolerated due to their parents and in some cases past connections.”

“Past connections. Could I speak to one of the sisters that was friends to a distrusted before she began behaving like that?”

“Sure. You speak to them all the time as is. Would you like to speak to Mina or Flora?” Maria couldn't help but grin as she noticed the look of shock on Joseph's face. “I guess you see now how much we don't like to talk about such fallen sisters. My mother has always been rather outgoing friendly and from what I hear a little on the wise side.  So she made a lot of friends whenever she was a child. I can't say she was quite the leader that Pera is to her little group. She was more then one they spoke to whenever they needed a clear head.”

“I see. Do you think it would hurt Flora?”

“Joseph Mina's mother died and the depression was great enough that she chose to go to sleep and see if she developed any mutations. We talk about it like she was sacrificing for us and in many ways she was but we know she was in a lot of pain. My mother had to see one of her friends and daughter go to sleep. She was also very close to Dremera as well. They know how to handle such burdens. Though I think Dan might club the day lights out of you if you started Mina to thinking about sleeping again.”

“Sleeping isn't exactly a good way to handle being sad.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she gave a nod. “Yeah. Well Dan might feel the need to punch you a few times if you made her depressed. I'm pretty sure that she'll be fine though.”

“How would Mira feel the need to avenge her mother if I spoiled her mood?”

“Mira? I'm the one you have to worry about there.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she settled her hand atop Joseph's chest. His heart rate had calmed down and he seemed to be less worried then he was in the beginning. She couldn't call him relaxed but it was nice to hear him settling down. “They might be able to offer you some insight. Now I've never been friends with a distrusted. None of the sisters I would say I really know have ever even looked like they would go down that path. Then again it's not exactly common. You know Joseph when we talked about the distrusted we're only talking about around three percent of the sisters. So even if you're in a room with forty of us the odds are pretty good that there isn't a distrusted in there.”

“Maria the distrusted are those sisters that believe the brothers should be treated like the claimed or worse. What about sisters that don't support the brothers but don't support the distrusted either? Aren't they any sisters that would offer the distrusted some support?” As he spoke Joseph tried to set up but Maria was keeping him pinned. If she had a reason for doing so or if she just wanted to be annoying he wasn't certain but he wasn't fighting hard either. He was quite comfortable with his head wresting against her leg.

“That's kind of hard Joseph. Our protective instincts pretty much require us to be protecting something. Now they are some sisters that believe we have become too dependent on our brothers but have no ill will towards the brothers. They simply believe we need to be prepared for a situation in which we can't rely on the brothers anymore. You might actually get along with them. They've been working on cross breeding plants that produce more food.”

“Huh? Why haven’t I ever heard of this?”

“Joseph. I just said that they believe we rely too much on the brothers and I should mention the claimed as well. Naturally they're going to keep their projects to themselves. Even I don't know a great deal about them. Their efforts have well. They've always been rather frustrated. From what I've heard they've come up with some interesting techniques but the brothers due in part to their ability to use magic always seem to beat them. Instead of destroying their work though they just keep on trying and keep samples of their work. I'm sure your life bloom felt like one heck of a swift kick to their efforts.”

“So they've been using selective breeding to produce plants that produce more food?”

“Plants that produce more food or require less water. Plants that can grow in different conditions. They even visited the swamp area and made detailed notes of what plants are good to eat from there and what ones could truly be raised.  Er wait no. No they wouldn't support the distrusted. Not only do they not want to harm the brothers but they believe we're too dependent on them as I said. Turning all the brothers into claimed isn't making us less dependent on them and you. Sorry Joseph I can't really think of any groups that would support the distrusted. They either don't mean the brothers any ill will but want to rely on them less or they support the brothers.”

“So those sisters that believe you rely too much on the brothers. They don't want to drive the brothers from the community?”

“No! We can't reproduce asexually Joseph. They never even mentioned distancing ourselves from the brothers they just believe we rely on them too much to find new food sources for us and the like. Hey. Want to know someone that has helped with such projects in the past?”

“Who?”

“Vera and Kersara. Kersara as one of the sisters that live the furthest from the main village and thus the brothers is actually one of their main supporters.”

“I did not expect that. They're both key supporters of the brothers though.”

“Indeed. Like I said they believe that we're too dependent on the brothers. That doesn't mean they won't take full advantage of the situation while it's available. Now look at what's happening. Kersara has a group of sisters at the water front crying and moaning about how hard the training program that would make us more capable is. The simple truth is we're denser then humans after all. We have to develop our muscles more and developing swimming techniques if we're really going to move in the water. Unfortunately a good deal of those that believe we're too dependent on the brothers only want to be more independent if it's easier or at least not more difficult.”

“That's not going to happen.”

“I know. Now back to the subject of the distrusted. I'm sure my mom would be okay talking to you about them and her former friends. Mina would probably be happy to talk to you about them as well. How about tomorrow I take you to speak with Mina first? Given that she's on mommy work she'll be at the citadel and I'm sure could enjoy the break from Dremera. I'll play with Dremera while you have your talk.”

“Oh good lord!” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph despite the situation. “I can just imagine Mina getting upset and Dremera seeing and smelling her symptoms. She blames me for it and ends up chasing me around the room trying to whip me with her tail some more.” Joseph couldn't help but notice Maria's snickering even as she covered her mouth in an attempt to control the laughter. “I thought you sisters couldn't stand to see a brother hurt.”

“Yeah. I believe that's a side affect of what Zarena said. Now that we've accepted your not as fragile as we once thought we're not as opposed to seeing you in a little bit of pain. Plus that would just be plain adorable so long as she didn't actually bruise you.”

***********************************************************************************

Mina felt a little awkward as Joseph set across her and found herself more looking past him and towards her daughter then at him. Dremera was asleep at the moment so there was no reason for Maria to keep her busy. Part of her thought Dremera would be a welcome distraction from Joseph's question though as she rubbed her forehead. “You want me to actually talk about Anria. Wow! That is not a pleasant subject. I take it you're curious about how we were raised together right?”

“Yes. I want to get a better understanding of the distrusted so that we can help them. Plus I'm hoping you could offer some thoughts on how we might handle them without killing them. Plus now that you've given her a name I'm wondering what you think of Anria now.”

“Well first off I'll tell you that for me Anria died whenever she took on those views. I'm trying to think of a good story to show you what she was like before she became a distrusted though. Well I can tell you that she liked to spend her time away from the settled areas and live in the forest. There is nothing unusual about that many of us like to live a more wild then others.”  

As Mina spoke she had to take in a deep breath. This had been before she had went to sleep. Not only was she not fond of the memories but a lot of time had passed and a great deal had happened. “Anria typically would sleep in the forest despite her mothers attempts to get her to come home and sleep. They had an agreement where so long as she stayed in certain safe areas she could remain in the forest. She would typically only come into the village to deliver something she'd gathered in the forest or to eat at the dining hall. We really didn't have an Allen like Pera does. It was mostly a group of sisters. I'm not sure how any of this information would actually help you though.” A sigh escaped Mina as she began to rub her head. “Should I tell you how I found out she was one of the distrusted?”

“That might help.”

“Okay well it wasn't anything special. We were eating at the dining hall. I was having a bit of a rough time because the food I had picked up was a little spicy for me. I don't know what I was thinking back then I could smell the spice but it smelt so good. Anria tells me that I should just have one of the brothers helping in the dining area fix me another batch with less spice on it. I told her that I can tough it out and I didn't want to bother them. They were busy enough keeping the sisters helping from spoiling the dish. Suddenly she asks. Why not? It was probably one of them that chose to spice it up. I swear I don't see why we have to tolerate their taste when we're the ones that bring in the meat and herbs. Honestly I was quite shocked. Things became even more clear whenever I told her that I'm pretty sure some sisters had asked for this considering how fondly many of them were talking about it.”

“She became one of the distrusted over food?”

“No! Joseph that would just be silly though food is very important to us. This was whenever I realized that she had become one of the distrusted. I believe she probably began moving in that direction whenever she was first exposed to the claimed. As you know only certain sisters are trusted to be keepers. Those who can resist the temptation to use their authority and size to force compliance upon others and indeed those who don't like to use such methods are often sought out as keepers. Well so long as they are also willing to use their authority and size when needed. Those sisters who are a little too feral or dominating typically aren't trusted with that power.”

“What about Stella and Fera?”

“Fera is an exception due to how dedicated she's always been to the community. Plus she has a very powerful mutation as you know. Stella was a lot more calm until she realized she was going to give birth to a brother. By then she was already a keeper though and she hasn't done anything to deserve losing that status.”

“So would she have become a keeper if she was as she is now?”

“Oh! I'm not sure about that. I don't think I could have given her my support in that case. I probably wouldn't have spoken against her but I wouldn't have spoken for her either. Back on subject though. I think once she began interacting with the claimed Anria enjoyed the power she had over them a little too much. These days I wonder if she stayed in the forest so much in hopes of finding an escaping claimed. I know once I became a keeper I forbid her from going near my claimed and once I had Dan. Honestly if Dan had ran and any distrusted had harmed him I would have crushed the head of whoever had harmed him.”

Given how friendly Mina was her choice of words actually surprised Joseph. She wasn't satisfied with saying that she would have killed a distrusted for harming Dan. Rather she felt the need to add an image as graphic as crushing their head. He would have jumped out of his seat if it hadn't been for Mina's hand taking hold of his shoulder as the other shot past his head. The feeling of the wind rushing offer her arm made his heart skip a beat but even that wasn't enough to stop him from noticing a very sharp hiss.

“Dremera!” As she spoke Mina could hardly believe what had happened. Currently she held one of Dremera's toys in her outstretched hand. A durable flexible ball that was meant to take the punishment and affection of a young sister for at least two weeks. She had noticed Dremera gripping it with her hands but she had by no means been prepared for her to use her legs to kick it towards Joseph. Effectively she had used her entire body to aim and throw the toy at Joseph's head. “I can't believe you did that you naughty girl!” As she spoke Mina had already stood up and began to walk towards Dremera who was still looking back at her quite intently.

As she looked at Dremera then Joseph Maria had a smile on her face. She had actually noticed Dremera's movements before Mina had but chose to wait and see what would happen. Even after Dremera had tossed the ball at Joseph it would have been easy for her to intercept. She had chosen not to do so after seeing that Mina was going to handle the situation. As Joseph turned to look at Dremera and then her she had to fight back a laugh. He looked to be stunned. “Don't worry Joseph Mina was just being careful. Those are too soft to do any real damage.”

By now Mina had picked up Dremera who was now was trying to see around to Joseph. “You naughty girl! I swear if you didn't fawn over your daddy so much I would worry about you being a distrusted. Then again. Joseph you're the only brother that I've encountered who she doesn't like.”

“I see.” By now Joseph had calmed down and walked around to take a look at Dremera. He was able to keep his stance even when she gave a very sharp hiss upon seeing him so close. The fact that her tail came within centimeters of striking him didn't do anything to make him stop grinning. “Now Dremera do you just not like me or are you angry with me? Mina I'm not sure my petting on her did much to better her mood.”

“I believe you're right. I just don't know what to do. I guess it's time for another timeout for my little girl. Taking away her toys for a few days didn't seem to do anything. Well it was the first time. Perhaps after this a certain little miss will learn that when she attacks a brother without good cause she gets punished. Hey.” Mina tried not to grin but she couldn't help it whenever Dremera gave her a quick whip on the nose with her tail. “Well I think a certain little miss is angry with me now!”

“I wonder if she's going to hold a grudge against you like she does Joseph.”

“I sure hope not. Maria would you mind taking her now?”

“Sure. Come here you.” As she spoke Maria walked over and reached out for Dremera. The fact that the young sister was still watching Joseph made her grin. “You're a clever little one but I've never seen such a young sister hold such a grudge.” The fact that as she was taking Dremera away from Mina Dremera gave a very low very long hiss made it impossible for Maria to keep from grinning. “Now why can't you see my mate brings us good things? You need to settle your little bottom down and quit focusing so much on the negative.”

“Perhaps I should bring her a few more gifts.”

Mina, “I don't believe that's a good idea Joseph. If every time she attacks you she receives a gift she's going to associate attacking you with good things. Now what we might have to try is you bring her a gift but don't give it to her so long as she's hissing at you and trying to smack you with her tail. Now let's set down and I can continue answering your questions if you're still in a mood to ask them.”

“The sooner I can gather the needed information the better. If I wait too long we'll get the very result that I'm trying to avoid.”

“Very well but later you're going to have to tell me what has you so interested in the distrusted situation.” As she settled back down Mina gave a sigh. It was hard to leave Dremera with Maria whenever she could have made such a wonderful excuse to end the conversation there. “At first I was devastated when Anria revealed how she thinks of the brothers. So I mentioned that while we do the hunting and gathering it's the brothers that further refine the food and preserve it as well. After all we like the taste of natural food but the simple truth is an alchemical potion prepared from some of those items can give a lot more benefits then eating the food in its natural state. That's whenever I gained an even more clear understanding of her views. She didn't just believe that we should pick how the food is prepared  because we gather it she believed we should be the ones making the decisions for the brothers. I don't recall her exact words for this but she pointed out how our productivity is tracked, the claimed productivity is tracked but the brothers don't have nearly as rigid of a productivity schedule.

My first thought was to point out how we had been growing larger and larger since the loss of our original energy system had forced us to regress. The brothers were finding better ways of refining our food allowing us to grow to larger sizes. She claimed it was too little and taking too long. That the brothers were just giving us little bits of scraps to keep us compliant and tricking us into thinking it was a feast. Then I became defensive of my father and things became increasingly heated especially when she said something about my father. I don't even remember what she said about him.”

“That doesn't sound like a very pleasant meal.”

“It spoiled every last bit of it!” A sigh escaped Mina as she leaned back. “Well the food was spicy anyway so it wasn't great to begin with. I really began to lose my head though whenever I thought of Anria looking at my father the same way she looked at a claimed. Except she didn't even looked at the claimed the same way we did. I believe that might have been the only time I hurt someone for speaking their minds to me.”

“You hurt her?”

“Joseph I've always been strong for my size. No where near as strong as I am now mind you but even back then I was one of the heavier built sisters. When I realized that this person would be a threat to my father if given the chance I just felt like I had to remove the threat or at least establish a territory. A keeper separated us before I could do any critical harm to Anria but not before I managed to get in a few good strikes. She must have been worked up too as every sister in the dining hall had heard our conversation. I honestly think the keepers intentionally waited for me to lose it because they wanted me to hit her. I really can't remember a time other then that where I've hit someone for speaking their mind to me. Now I've come close before and after then but Anria just crossed a line I didn't know existed.”

“What happened after that?”

“After that we really didn't see much of one another. When I did look at her I would remember what she had said about my brothers and I would start becoming angry all over again. It wasn't what she had said that really bothered me though. It's more like knowing what she thinks about then angered me. As if. Well call Dan a lazy slacker who use my position in our community to reach his own.” As she spoke Mina looked towards Joseph. She was quite pleased and amused that he seemed to recoil at the thought of saying such things.

“I'm not going to say that about Dan!”

“Mirin?”

“No.”

“Nathan?”

“No! Even if he does like to manipulate the other brothers into doing his menial work.”

A slight giggle escaped Mina before she gave her head a nod. “Well let's say that you did say such a thing about Dan. I'd be surprised for all of one moment and then that would be it. As I know that you don't mean it. I've seen you and Dan work together talk together and I suspect you've conspired together. I know that you are both friends. Now if I believed that was how you thought of Dan I wouldn't be having a friendly conversation with you.”

“I see. Maria mentioned that earlier. Even if they can't act on their beliefs the very fact that they hold such desires turns you hostile towards them. Mina could you calm yourself with the knowledge that while they have such feelings they know they're wrong?”

For a moment Mina's mouth opened to answer but instead she closed it and gave a long low whistle. Her lip moved back and she bit down lightly on it as she found herself struggling with the answer. The thought of someone even having such feelings about the brothers and especially about Dan angered her.  Yet if they hadn't acted upon them and they knew their feelings were wrong was it right to treat them poorly? “Is there any indication that they're progressing away from those beliefs and what's the odds of them actually acting upon them? I. No. Just knowing they felt that way about my brothers or Dan would still anger me. Their realization of being wrong would make them more tolerable though.”

“I see. What about other distrusted Mina? You mentioned that Anria liked to live in the forest. Is that common amongst distrusted.”

“No more or less common then it is among us. Flora's mother was a forest dweller. She felt boxed in when inside of a building and preferred the openness of the forest. My mom told me that the only thing that ever kept her home was Flora herself. Oh but the kills she would come back with and the reagents. I swear if it took us a week to find a fistful of some plant she would only need a day to find a bundle. You could forget hearing or smelling or seeing with her. Whenever she was in the forest it was as if she felt it. When she would take Flora and me hunting it was a struggle to even smell what she was going after before she'd taken it apart.”

Maria, “Mom told me about that! From the way she talked grandmother's speed in the forest would have surpassed my own even without a mutation.”

“Honestly Maria it wouldn't surprise me if she did. You run faster then her there is no doubt about that but the way she was just aware of her surroundings was remarkable. Now as for what.” A sharp hiss silenced Mina and she gave a sigh instead as she looked back at her daughter. “Baby please get along with Joseph.”

Dremera could tell by her mother's tone and the way she looked towards her that she was being talked to. She didn't understand the words but she could feel the mood. It made her anger regress slightly. She didn't want to make her mother upset after all. The fast female had avoided her last five attempts to whip her with her tail though and kick her. It was making her rather frustrated as she struggled to find a way to get after the noise making male. She didn't vocalize it fully but she still gave a slight hiss to show that she was annoyed. It was impossible for her to hold the hiss though as the fast female began to tickle her stomach again.

“You are such a mean little lady! Yes you are. Mean. Mean.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as Dremera once again began to wrestle with her. She had been quietly teasing Dremera the entire time hoping the child would relax. Dremera seemed quite insistent on her revenge though.

“Anyway. Joseph out of all the distrusted I know of and I'm pretty sure I know of all of them none of them had an unusual upbringing. Some of them had easier lives some of them had harder lives as different sisters impose different burdens on their children. Of course. As it's impossible to raise a young sister without involvement from others there is a fairly standard pattern. We all watch one another after all.”

“Then would you say that your raising Dremera doesn't represent the standard?”

“Well.” For a moment Mina once again looked at her daughter. She didn't like the idea she wasn't raising Dremera properly. After she had moved to the citadel though there had been fewer sisters coming by. Yet Dremera had been more contained. She knew that something had to be going on. “Normally a child of Dremera's age would have had far more interaction with other sisters by now. Mentioning that actually frightens me. I'm worried that the reason she's so unrelenting in her grudge is due to the lack of exposure to other sisters.”

Even if he had important issues on his mind Joseph knew that Naidra wouldn't like Mina's current line of thinking. He also doubted that Dremera was given as much privacy as Mina believed. The protectors had to be keeping a close eye on her. He could even imagine some of them sneaking in some play time.  “There is one complication with that Mina. Dremera had a grudge against me even before you moved back to the citadel.”

“You make a good point Joseph. You really need to come by and visit her more often.”

“Huh?”

“Well I have to break her of this grudge holding habit somehow. If I don't do it now then she's going to end up holding a grudge against someone else.”

***********************************************************************************


“We have relatively few methods of handling the distrusted. If we banish them we know that their actions will reflect badly on us. Not only because of what they are but the notion that we're the ones who banished them. I'm sure all of you understand how upsetting it would be if someone cast their problem on you. Killing them is exactly what we're trying to avoid so we won't discuss that. Changing their perception of themselves and others is our main goal but not something we can achieve directly. The only solution that I can see is containment.” Currently Mirin was addressing several of the brothers as well as Vera. As he looked around he doubted his solution was popular but it was supported by the information Joseph had gathered.

“Containment at what cost though?” Even without putting a lot of deep thought into the problem Alex knew that containing a distrusted would be very costly. Unlike a claimed they could easily survive in and travel through the forest. Due to the sisters resistance to magic and tendency to degrade magical items over a period of exposure it would also be very difficult to tag them.

“That's something I'm not really sure of. It must not only be able to contain them safely but also keep the other sisters happy as well. We also need a method of release and identifying those who are ready to undertake release. If we simply try to lock them away with no plans beyond that all we've done is create a bomb. There is also the issue of their treatment while they're confined. They'll have to be able to complete some task that makes maintaining them reasonable if not fully economical.” It was hard for Mirin not to look to Joseph. He had been the one that suggested they address the issue after all. Yet it was an issue they all had ignored and Mirin was doing his best to handle it without blaming the problem on the person who had brought it to their attention.

“We could use one of the buildings that is moving towards disuse at this moment. We need to keep in mind that they are very few distrusted. They could be housed within the laboratory for example and the rooms could be converted into gardens. Perhaps instead of wondering around in the forest for their food they could tend to the plants and even a few animals there. That might teach them a few lessons about proper nurturing.” As Nathan spoke he was still thinking on what he would tell Zarena. We're going to teach them to garden so that they can learn oppressive control is bad. Did not sound like a very convincing reason for her not to try to kill them. Locating them all in the laboratory seemed more likely to turn them into an easy target.

Alex, “Wait you want to dedicate the laboratory to them?

“Not really but it seems like a viable choice. We've been conducting more research in the citadel lately and while the move has been far from complete it seems clear to me we're moving in that direction. They advantages we have while within the citadel are simply staggering compared to the laboratory. The fact that many of us are now living in the citadel such that we're close enough to work that we don't have to rely on the sisters for transportation seems to be a big factor.”

“That has taken some getting used to. What about all the materials in the laboratory though?”

“They can be moved to the library's secure sections in many cases. Those materials that are of a more perishable nature might be moved to food storage or to the citadel. In some of the cases the citadel is the only viable choice of course.”

“What about the garden though?”

Nathan, “We would need to transfer the plants so the distrusted could use the area to grow other plants. So are we really considering this? We're going to give up the laboratory and begin all our work in the citadel? If we're really considering this I want to keep a few sections of the laboratory from being used in the event this doesn't work out. It seems wise to me to have at least one place of study that is in our control.”

As he had been listening Joseph was glad to hear that the others were trying to help. The notion of using the laboratory seemed like a good one but he had to ask. “So are you all thinking about confining the distrusted to the laboratory? Like prisoners.”

Mirin, “Joseph it seems like the best choice we have but well we all know they're not going to stay there just because we ask them to. There is also the issue of security. Once they're there how do we insure that they stay there?”

Alex, “Well what kind of restrictions are we talking about here? Are you all thinking that they should be confined to the laboratory and not allowed to leave? As I'll be honest with you. That's what I'm thinking at the moment. It's pretty much the only choice that I would truly be comfortable with. If we were to simply confine them then we could put up a mystic circle around the laboratory that told us when someone had went through it. After that we would just need a sister to sniff around the library and see if any of them had left it.”

Nathan, “Now hold on. If we're going to confine them and not kill them then we can't just lock them up for life. This means that some of them will have to be allowed to roam. Now we all know what started this and we know that Vera knows who's responsible. I propose this. The distrusted will not be permitted around any brothers unless they have a keeper present. Just the same as with the claimed. Furthermore the distrusted are not to approach the claimed unless given permission by there keeper. Those distrusted that were involved in the theft of the life bloom could be confined to the laboratory like we mentioned until they prove they can be trusted again. Those distrusted not involved can start with a curfew at which time they must return to the laboratory. If they've caught breaking it they lose the privilege to leave it.”

At first the room went silent. Even Joseph found himself stunned. Up until that point Nathan had made it clear he didn't like this idea and he didn't want to speak to Zarena about it. Now Joseph felt he was more on board with the plan then he realized. “Where did that come from Nathan?”

“I'm still not sure if this is going to be worth it. I still think this could come back to bite us in the ass or end up being a huge waste of resources. However, if we're going to expend resources on something that most likely will not work then I'm going to do what I can to give it the best chance of working as possible. Now you want to know how to make the distrusted like their new living arrangements? Here is how you do that. You remind them that they're not going to a dungeon. They're being taken to a safe haven as this is the only thing keeping Zarena and Vera hear from killing them all after the last stunt their friends pulled.”

A low whistle escaped Vera who had been quiet throughout the meeting. Now that Nathan had mentioned her name so directly she had to speak up. “Wow! Make me sound blood thirsty why don't you?”

“Well am I wrong?”

Vera didn't feel comfortable giving an immediate answer but let her posture relax a little as she considered the question. She was most assuredly prepared to kill the distrusted that had stolen the life bloom. She would have beaten a sister she liked severally for such behavior. “Nathan I've tried to condition myself to harm and even kill sisters I care for in the best interest of the community. I've spent long hours just thinking of harming those I love until I could feel their blood on my claws. I've put myself to tears more then a few times building up my resolve for such an action. Now I'm sure you can imagine what I could do to a distrusted.”

Alex, “Woe! Hold on. Does that include brothers?”

“Naturally. I remember reading of situations in which a mage was overcome by their magic and lost their minds. I've prepared myself to handle the situation if that happened to one of you as well.”

“That's good thinking. Oh!” As she spoke Julia placed a hand against her forehead. A feeling of sickness had washed over her and threatened to take her legs out from under her. A bit of cloth wrapped around her hand was enchanted to soak up the heat her body was radiating but she still felt sick. It was exactly what her studies and the spirit hunter book had said would happen. Her body was now adapting to old paths for mystic energy to flow being hindered and forcing normally unused ones to open up.

Mirin, “Julia are you okay! You. You look like you shouldn't even be standing let alone be here!” As he spoke Mirin found himself raising from his seat to go help Julia. His legs hadn't straitened before Vera was already there. Yet he was surprised when Vera didn't pick her up but rather placed a hand against her opposite side for Julia to lean on.

Vera, “Now there sister. You're looking rather unsteady and well I can smell the chemicals in your sweat.” It surprised Vera whenever she heard a slight change in Julia's heart beat and noticed a smile suddenly appear on her lips. She wasn't quite sure why.

“Thank you Vera but this is all part of what should happen. The guide said that I should try to maintain regular activities during this time, drink lots of water and fresh juice and eat a lot of meat. A task that's a lot more difficult then it sounds as I'm having trouble keeping anything more solid then a strong tea down.”

Nodding her head Vera easily bent at the knees and walked with Julia. The natural strength and dexterity of a sister made even this awkward form of walking easy. It didn't take them long to reach an empty chair. “Well as you're here I imagine you want to join in on this meeting.”

“Ridon told me what happened during one of his visits. You all sure are leaving me out of the loop on this. So from what it sounded like you want to use the laboratory as living space for the distrusted.”

Nathan, “That is what we're currently considering. It's one of the few places that could serve such a purpose.”

“I can see that.” Before continuing Julia found herself grabbing a serving glass that had been placed on the table and the pitcher of water. She was surprised by how quickly she drained it. “I can not put into words how much my throat hurts right now if I don't keep it wet. Now I bet you're thinking of ways that you would keep them there. I believe I have a suggestion. You can pay a spirit to handle the observation for you. The sisters can't use magic in general and thus have little or no means of contracting with such a spirit. A spirit doesn't tire or sleep and as long as it's paid well enough it would be quite eager for the task. I recommend a.” Even before she could finish Julia found herself draining another glass. “A plant spirit of some type one with naturally wide spread roots.”

No one responded immediately though several looks were passed between brothers. Such spiritual dealings weren't unheard of. A spirit that would naturally settle in a given region could be easily persuaded provided the region was suitable for it. There were of course tricks to dealing with spirits. One had to be very careful about the wording of the agreement and the spirits nature. It was Alex who found his words first. “Well we saw what the orc shamans had obtained through their contracts with the spirits of the forest. So Julia do you feel comfortable making the contract?”

“No. Especially when it would be much safer just to contact one of the orc shamans and have them come here to handle the negotiations. They might even be able to recommend a few spirits for us. I haven't began the part of my training where I begin to more actively speak with spirits. The instructional aspect of my training as a spirit hunter though listed a good many advantages and dangers when dealing with such beings.”

Mirin, “Such as?”

“A simple example. Let's say that rather then learning to create flame using my own energies I contracted with a spirit for such an ability. Now let's assume that spirit is consumed by a greater spirit or disrupted. I could easily lose my abilities. Thus why shamans are known to contract with a great many spirits or a few very powerful spirits. It also detailed the dangerous of contracting with too many spirits or one that is exceptionally powerful. A powerful spirit has likely had time to learn as well and thus any contract made with such a spirit is likely to be in its favor. Should you contract with many spirits of moderate power you have to be careful that the contracts don't conflict.”

Alex, “Well that sounds like business in general. The sneaky aged high ranking brother has a life time of experience manipulating the lower ranks. So of course any time you agree to exchange favors you know he's getting the bigger slice of pie. That or you're being used for some ulterior motive.”

Nathan, “Hey!”

While still feeling sickly Julia couldn't help but give a chuckle as she noticed the expression on Nathan's face. “We would have to compensate the orcs for their aid of course but that shouldn't be difficult and would be worth it if we want to do this right.”

Mirin, “That does sound good. I believe we should look into other means of observation as well though. I would say that a regular head count and patrols from other sisters looking for stray scents would be simple and easy to implement security procedures.”

Alex, “Okay well that means we have a place and we have some methods thought up to keep them there. Now how about we split up? We need to begin planning out what rooms will be used for what purpose and to develop a method of promotion and demotion. Once we have a few choices we can meet to make it official.”

Mirin, “That sounds best. I'll handle contacting the orcs.”

A sigh escaped Nathan as he stood up. “In that case I'll set down and convince Zarena to help us. If she refuses to talk to me for a few days after this I hate all of you.”

***********************************************************************************

“Thanks for coming Flora.”

Flora gave a nod of her head as she looked to Dan, Mina, Maria and Dremera. Her attention immediately held on little Dremera. “Well hello little sweet heart. Are you already getting yourself involved in back room plotting?” As she spoke Flora walked over to the young sister. Her grin only grew all the larger whenever Dremera gave a very soft meow and reached up towards her. “Well now do you want me to hold you? Does that mean you're angry at your mommy?”

“I believe she is.” A sigh escaped Mina as she lifted Dremera up. Despite the situation she had to giggle whenever Dremera didn't release her hold on Dan's wrist. “There seems to be a problem though.”

“So I see. Honey you're going to have to let go of Daddy if you want me to hold you.” When Dremera gave another soft meow Flora couldn't help but chuckle. “Okay. Mina you hold Dan and I'll set next to the two of you. How about that?”

“That sounds fine.” As she spoke Mina was already lifting Dan up so that Flora could settle in next to them and Dremera could retain her grip on Dan's wrist. As she settled down Mina looked towards Joseph. She had a pretty good idea what this conversation was going to be about. It was tempting to let Joseph know that Dan had already told her about the life bloom issue. She would keep the fact that Dan shared such secrets with her quiet for now though. “Now Joseph what is this about?”

For a moment Joseph found himself biting down on his lower lip. He had been wanting to share this with Maria for quite some time. He had chosen to share it with Flora and Mina as well due to their status as keepers and a desire to have their feed back. He had wanted their feed back a long time ago. “As you know I've been trying to handle some issues with the distrusted. Well we have. The brothers as a whole. Dan you already know the finer details.”

“Indeed. So let's not dance around the subject. You know the first life bloom Joseph grew in his home? The distrusted managed to steal it and the protectors brought it back. The whole ordeal has all the brothers up in arms and there was a lot of talk about how to handle the issue. We can't just ignore the distrusted anymore and if Zarena learns about them she's going to kill them all.”

Flora, “Oh don't be silly! Zarene is too much of a sweet heart for that.”

Joseph, Dan and even Maria seemed to recoil from Flora's words. As he had called the meeting Joseph had to speak first. “What about what she said though?”

“Joseph what one says and what one does are two very different things. Now don't get me wrong she wouldn't ignore the distrusted issue. She would be roaring mad for us allowing the problem to continue for so long. And by roaring I mean I can see her just roaring at us for a while. Zarena became a sleeper to protect this community though and well. It's a lot harder to kill someone whenever their mother or father is speaking on their behalf especially if they haven't harmed anyone. Oh I should admin what I said. Zarena is too much of a sweet heart to murder someone who hasn't actually broken any rules yet.”

Dan, “Mina do you agree?”

Mina, “Well if we were still in a state of war I have no doubt she would kill them all.”

Flora, “Oh! That is true. Yes had she learned of them immediately after waking up they would have been dead.”

Mina, “Right now things are peaceful though and we have a chance to fix things. Now if nothing was done about the distrusted in that case I believe she'd end up calling for their deaths. So what did you want to talk to us about it though? Are you looking for some support? I'll be honest with you Joseph any support I can offer depends on what is planned.” As she spoke Mina glanced over at Dan. Of course she already planned on supporting Dan's efforts. Once again she was trying to not reveal that Dan had already let her in on the meeting.

“Well before that. Maria.” Joseph didn't get far before he felt something press to his lips.

“We've been over the whole brothers have secrets and sisters have secrets thing before. Let's move onto something relevant.” As she spoke Maria settled back into her seat. After Joseph had come home in an anxious state so many nights and the meeting with the distrusted Maria wasn't surprised. The idea that the distrusted had stolen the life bloom he first grown was a bit upsetting though. “Wait before that. What's being done to those distrusted that stole the life bloom?”

“Nothing yet. Vera knows who they are.”

“Nothing! You have got to be kidding me! Even if a sister wasn't one of the distrusted if she was caught stealing something like that she would at least get the day lights beat out of her and be given a new and probably quite unpleasant work assignment. Now for a.”

Flora, “Maria settle! He said yet.” As Flora spoke she glanced towards her daughter. The tone of her voice seemed enough to settle Maria down though she gave a rather frustrated sigh.

“Fine but if they get away with a theft that's utter crap.”

Mina, “Maria has a point Joseph. That's not the type of thing you let slide.”

Joseph, “Hear me out first. Our current plan is to move all our research and development work into the citadel. We'll lock down a few rooms for emergency use and then begin converting the wrest of the laboratory into a detention center for the distrusted. There they'll be charged with growing their own food and possibly tending to some animals. The current notion is that the distrusted confined there will be given a curfew at which time they must return to the laboratory. They will lose all authority over the claimed as well as young sisters and be required to work their way back into the community. Those distrusted who stole the life bloom won't be allowed to roam.”

Maria, “That's it?”

Flora, “Maria! The brothers are trying to be merciful in their dealings with the distrusted. I remember a little miss who hoped for a little mercy once upon a time.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she nodded her head. She was forced to go to sleep but at least she was allowed to go to sleep well fed and given some time with her mother. “So they won't be allowed around the brothers anymore?”

“Unless they have a keeper.”

While Flora was holding Dremera she couldn't help but notice how the young girl was trying to edge herself closer to Dan. The feeling of the little squirming and the way Dan held her attention made it hard for Flora not to chuckle despite how serious the conversation was. She was rather surprised whenever she heard a very sharp meow from Dremera while her arms reached out for her father. The fact that Dan immediately turned to look at her and seemed to know what she wanted was even more surprising. Flora kept a close watch on Dremera's hands and feet as Dan reached up and pressed his hand against her stomach.

“Are you upset that I'm not paying attention to you? Is that it young lady?” As he spoke Dan began to rapidly move his hand over Dremera's stomach. The fact that Dremera began to purr moments later made him smile. “Yes you wanted your belly rubbed just like your mommy does.”

Mina, “Dan!” While it was true that sisters could easily tell when a sister or brother had sex as well as with who the finer details were more of a mystery. Some details could be determined by what parts of the body were most heavily saturated but there was plenty of between that wasn't revealed. Now Mina felt herself blushing slightly even as Dremera began to purr more loudly.

For a moment Dan said nothing and when he did speak he chose to avoid Mina's glare. “You were saying Joseph?”

Mina, Oh no. Don't think that this conversation ends there.”

Flora, “Don't worry Mina. I'm sure he'll rub your belly all you want to make it up to you.”

Mina, “Flora!”

Flora, “You should have him cover his hand in some warm scented oils before he begins his work. The type that can really work its way into your fur and warm your skin. Just make sure that the scent isn't overpowering or be prepared to really work to wash it out. I remember a scent message I got once. It was wonderful for about thirty minutes. Then for the next week I couldn't hunt properly because my scent kept giving away my location and nothing tasted right due to the smell.”

Mina, “Joseph please continue!” Even through her dark black fur Mina felt certain that everyone in the room could see her blushing. The fact that Dremera gave a delighted squeal seemed to confirm that.

“Ah well that is. Once the distrusted have been housed in the redone laboratory we hope to contract with a spirit to maintain a watch over them. The orcs are going to be called on to help with this. We also plan to make use of security features like head counts and scent checks to make sure the scent of a distrusted isn't found where it shouldn't be. We don't plan on just locking them up though like I mentioned before. We're working on a system that will allow a distrusted to earn her way back into the community.”

Flora, “Just what kind of system are we talking about?”

“You could compare it to the claimed system. They'll be assigned task to perform and those who show the desired progress will be rewarded with greater freedoms.”

“That's very vague Joseph.”

“We haven't worked out the finer details yet to be honest. That's one reason I wanted to speak to the three of you actually. We know that for this to work the sisters are going to have to agree as well. What kind of progress would you have to see? I know that the sisters will never accept the distrusted so long as the distrusted see the brothers as slaves.”

Flora, “The first step should be obvious then. The distrusted must recognize that the brothers aren't just outsiders who have been brought into the community. Several of them have been born to the sisters as not just accepted brothers but those carrying a blood connections. Our sons. As upsetting as it is to have a distrusted look upon a brother and see a slave it is even more so to have them look upon your child and see a slave. Well if Stella is to be believed.”

Mina, “I believe her. As much as I care for my fellow sisters to have someone look upon Dremera as something less then themselves would be positively infuriating to me. I suppose that if that is the first step the next would be for them to acknowledge the rights of mates.”

Immediately Flora gave a nod. “Indeed as such brothers don't just share the common bond that all do. They also have particularly strong bonds to certain sisters. I may not have a mate but they are certain males I am very fond of and glad to share myself with. Given how you gush over Dan and you gush over Joseph I can't help but imagine your anger is even greater then mine whenever a distrusted looks down upon them.” As she spoke Flora first indicated Mina and then Maria. “Acknowledging the blood connection and that those brothers born of a sister carry a connection to them should be a reasonable first step.”

Joseph, “So you would argue that they have worth due to their connections to the sisters?”

Mina, “No. I wouldn't say that personally. However, this should be something that the distrusted should understand. After all whenever two become mates they share a very special connection. Dan is an inseparable part of my life after all and were I too lose him part of me would die with him.” As she spoke Mina placed one hand on each side of Dan and gave his shoulders a gentle squeeze. He responded by leaning back and raising up so that his head rubbed against the underside of her right breasts. This brought a slight chuckle from her despite the teasing she'd received earlier.

Joseph, “Yes I can see where that could be a start.”

Flora, “Naturally this wouldn't be enough for them to accept them. It would make them more tolerable though. I'm not certain what kind of reward you might offer for this change in mentality other then the wrest of us would be a little more tolerant of their presence.”

“I'm not sure either but at least it would be a start.”

Maria, “Joseph are the distrusted going to be allowed to have sex while they're confined to the laboratory? As I have to say. If they're not allowed to be near any brothers without a keeper to keep an eye on them and they no longer have any authority over the claimed they're probably going to find themselves cut off. Perhaps once they're ready to recognize the rights of a blood related brother they could be allowed to have sexual interaction with willing claimed or brothers. That way if they ended up having a son at least they could be trusted to recognize their own child's rights.”

Joseph actually felt himself recoil a bit at Maria's question. The sexual interaction of the distrusted wasn't something he had been considering. He knew their size presented a problem as if they were to become pregnant they would have to be allowed to grow. They would then be required to regress in size once the child was born and the infant would be raised by another sister. “Maria wouldn't it be better to say that a distrusted that had reached that point would be allowed to raise their own child if one was born?”

Flora, “I wouldn't say that. Perhaps raise the child with close supervision.”

Maria, “Yeah but no I'm talking about them not being able to have sex. I mean. What keepers are going to want to wait around while a distrusted has sex with a brother? I suppose that some distrusted might be able to convince a keeper to let them have sex with a claimed if the claimed was willing. It sure would be strange. Mom what would you do if a distrusted asked you if they could spend some time getting dirty with one of your claimed?”

“Oh that is a hard one to answer. I guess if they had been on their best behavior and were interested it would be fine.”

“The distrusted?”

“No! Silly. I mean my claimed. They are men after all and some men enjoy the touch of a woman even if she's rather unpleasant beyond such interaction. I'm sure many of them would enjoy the physical aspect of such an encounter so long as the claimed was mindful of their well being.” A slight chuckle escaped Flora as a short list of names ran through her mind. “Of course. With the decrease in the number of claimed and my other responsibilities I don't really have many to tend to. The few I have are trusted claimed that I don't really have to supervise.”

Mina, “So there call?”

“Oh most of the time I suppose. Tom prepared some alcohol for himself and the others which would normally be fine but he became overly intoxicated and I had to handle him. None for him until he's off probation.”

Both Mina and Maria were made to chuckle at the image. Dan and Joseph took this moment to look at one another. The fact that Dremera began to giggle a few moments later drew both mens attention.

As Flora had been playing with her Dremera had been observing all three of the larger females while maintaining a hold on her father. The sudden laughter from all three females had at first struck her as curious. As she had listened to the laughter though it had built within her and soon the young girl found herself laughing along though she didn't know why. It didn't help that Flora began to tickle Dremera and speak to her a few moments after she began to chuckle along.

“Oh you're too young for such naughty thoughts little lady!” As she spoke Flora was certain Dremera was more responding to the mood then anything else. It was still a funny image especially as she noted Dan and Joseph's expressions.

Joseph, “I see. So does this mean we will have your support whenever it comes time to make the change?”

Flora, “We're still missing some things. Let's talk about how you might evaluate the distrusted without being tricked.”

Chapter 39 by happiest_in_shadows

***********************************************************************************

Nathan had spent much of his time since the meeting steadying himself thinking of what he would say to Zarena. As he stood atop her knee he felt fully resolved. “Zarena there is a problem we are currently in the process of tending to that I must tell you about. This is typically the type of problem you would take action to resolve. As you've helped us begin the resolution of many issues since you're awakening. I must request however that you follow our lead in this matter. If you don't the brothers as group will have to oppose you.” As he finished speaking Nathan did his best to hold his resolve and stand firm. Rather then trying to hide his doubt, fear or concern he kept these emotions from entering into him. He knew this was the right way to go regardless of the outcome and was certain Zarena would support them in that moment.

For a moment Zarena said nothing. It felt strange to be spoken to in such a way. It wasn't due to her size though but rather it served as solid proof she was involved in the politics of her society once again. It had been a long time since she had been actively involved in policy making. Sure she had helped the brothers whenever it came to the spirit hunter issue but the nature of Nathan's talk was different then it had been then. She knew better then to say anything about it at the moment but seeing Nathan taking a strong stance was also a turn on. “I'm not going to like what you settled on doing am I?”

“Probably not. Zarena I'm going to state the facts. There is a small number of sisters that consider any species other then your own to be inferior. They regard every other species including the brothers the same as we regard the claimed or even less then. Up until now their numbers have been small and they've mostly been short on action if at times loud of voice. Recently they tried to take action though and while it failed it has moved us to action. We have began taking steps to contain these sisters which we know as the distrusted. A building has been selected to house them and plans for a guidance system are well underway as well as containment methods. It is our hope that we can bring the minds of these sisters into greater agreement with the community.”

Zarena had to bite down on her lower lip to keep herself from responding while Nathan was talking. She felt her eyes shifting and the world seemed to change around as her vision shifted to one better suited to hunting prey. She was still holding her tongue as she considered the fully implication of what Nathan had told her. There was a group of sisters that saw the brothers and anyone else as claimed. This meant the only rights they were given came from their keeper. “That is an upsetting thought. What kind of keeper are we talking about when you say they see you as the claimed?”

“One that doesn't believe in the promotion of the claimed or care about their desires. Many of them even see the brothers as a possible food source.” Nathan could tell Zarena was becoming tense. He heard her breathing change and she closed her eyes. Both of her hands came and clamped down on either side of her knee as if to prevent it from shaking. That or to catch him if it began to shake too much.

“So you allow a creature with the body of a monster and a mind to do you harm to walk among you just because our presence keeps it in line. Nathan do you have any idea how mind numbingly stupid that is! How can the same sisters that don't even allow you to have a powerful pet allow such a thing to happen! They should have been rounded up and killed long ago! I. I. This is just so astoundingly foolish!” As Zarena was speaking she was having trouble remembering not to truly shout. She didn't want to harm Nathan after all. Her heart was pounding in her chest though and she could feel her breathing shift.

“Zarena we did it for the sake of those who gave birth to them and for the sake of hope. We hoped that in time they would change their ways. The sisters protected us and the distrusted were restricted in their size to limit the danger they might pose. We believed the dangers were under control.”

“You believed? That means something went wrong. What did they do!” Zarena gave a rather annoyed snort as she tried to keep herself from standing up. Nathan was trying to explain the situation to her and she didn't want to overreact. She needed to have all the information before she decided on what she was going to do.

“First I'm going to tell you what we have planned. Zarena the distrusted are going to be moved to the laboratory once it has been modified to house them. Those distrusted who have never acted on their views will only be issued a curfew while those who have proven problematic will be confined there. No longer will a distrusted be allowed near a brother without a keeper to watch her and they will have no rights to the claimed either. We plan to lift these restrictions as they show development in the right direction. There is little difference between them and a group of extremely dangerous claimed that surrendered.”

“You!” Zarena managed to hold her tongue just in time and consider what Nathan had told her. In truth he was right. Not all brothers were trained as warriors and some claimed who had been captured knew some very dangerous techniques or magic. Trusted claimed were allowed to roam certain areas freely provided they tended to their task as well and didn't break any rules. At times even breaking the rules was forgiven depending on how they were broken. “You should have implemented such a system a long time ago.”

“I admit that we allowed the problem to go on for far too long thinking that it would work itself out. We believed that by restricting their size and thus insuring their hunger never faded and with the pressure from the sisters they would eventually change their views. Unfortunately suffering with their hunger wasn't nearly as good of a teacher as we believed it would be.”

“I take it you have plans for mentoring as well. If all you do is confine a bunch of people with like minds to the same environment you're not going to inspire change. An intellectual battle must be waged against their mind set as well. Even then how long do you plan on housing these distrusted and at what expense? You've mentioned giving the laboratory to them. It seems like we're all already paying a very heavy price. What makes them worth the trouble?”

“They'll be worth the trouble once some of them change their ways and become members of the community. We don't plan on just letting them lay around there. One reason we chose the laboratory is because of the work areas. We can begin converting these areas into gardens and require the distrusted to tend to certain plants and perhaps animals. They're used to being able to freely take from the forest. Perhaps if they're required to nurture something we can inspire some more thoughts in them.” As Nathan spoke he took in a deep breath. He found it hard to believe he'd used that reasoning but it had just escaped him. He doubted Zarena would find it the strongest argument but hopefully she would agree with the other points he had made.

How could sisters turn on their brothers like this? How could they have been allowed to roam around just like any other sisters? How many times had she seen one of them but not recognized them for what they are? Zarena gave another frustrated snort before speaking. “Changing people isn't an easy task especially when they don't want to change. If the pain of their hunger and rejection of their sisters wasn't enough to make them desire change what makes you believe this will?”

“Because this time we're approaching the problem systematically and actively paying attention to the problem. Rather then using an ever present stick we'll be applying different levels of stick as well as some carrot as well. I'm sure you'll agree this guidance method is far more effective then constantly applying the same level of stick with no real carrot.”

At least the more they talked the more Zarena was capable of pulling herself back together. She no longer felt the need to keep a death grip on her leg to prevent its shaking and to keep from standing up. “I see. How long do you plan to run this experiment?”

“At this moment there isn't a set date. We don't plan on giving the distrusted a deadline before execution though just as a claimed, even the claimed that are dangerous due to combat or mystic training, aren't given a deadline to regain their freedom. Only their own actions would allow for them to be killed.”

“Would a claimed be tolerated if the cost of sustaining them surpassed the benefit of keeping them?”

He had been using the comparison with the claimed system as a means of debating with Zarena. Nathan had known she would only need a little time to find a way to use it against him and she was being honest. “You make a good point. Tending to their gardens and animals should allow them to earn their keep but if they refuse to perform something more permanent may have to be done. However, we must also make sure that we have given them a fair chance and even the ability to meet such requirements.”

***********************************************************************************

Nathan, “Zarena has agreed to wait and give us a chance. She's even offered to put her support behind our efforts and really seemed to like the idea of being used as the primary instrument of terror when it comes to motivating the claimed. Unfortunately she's also made it clear that she expects a more permanent solution to be applied to distrusted that show an increased tendency towards violence. As she put it. They should be handled the same way a claimed would be if that claimed attacked a brother with a lethal weapon.”

A long sigh escaped Mirin and almost everyone else in the room. It was Mirin who chose to speak. “Thank you Nathan! Well that has one of the most frightening details of this whole project taken care of. We have Zarena's backing. Now has anyone not taken the time to look through the distrusted rehabilitation proposals one through five yet?” As he spoke Mirin took a moment to look around the room. He didn't see anyone admitting to not having read them. “Well if you haven't. Shame! Shame on you! As that is what we're here to discuss. Now I'm going to say that I'm a fan of proposal two. I believe that proposal one is aimed too much at making our sisters happy and less at obtaining the results we actually want.”

Alex, “Where do you get that idea?”

Mirin, “Well first there is this little issue where any sister of guardian rank or higher may inspect the distrusted living area. Can you imagine if a guardian showed up and began to rummage through the claimed living area? The keeper of those claimed would be liable to send her out of the living area with a swift kick to the rear.” As Nathan spoke he knew that a keepers reason for such an action wouldn't be entirely based on wanting to protect her claimed. The notion that some guardian is inspecting her claimed would also be calling a keepers competence into question. Typically this would be more then a little offensive to a keeper. “I realize that we can't give them complete privacy but if we're going to say that this is a safe haven for them there has to be some level of privacy involved.”

It was nice to have Dan setting with him. Despite all the work he had done with the other brothers Joseph simply trusted Dan more then the other brothers. It helped that Mina was a long term friend of the family and by extension so was Dan. Dan had also been a good friend since they had met. This extra comfort didn't mean he was ready to speak up as they talked about the plan. “Dan what one of the plans are you currently planning on supporting?”

“I'm going to let them argue the number of plans down to two or three before I actually pick one to support. I support plan two more then plan one but I also like plan four due to its more dynamic form of mental evaluation. A big risk of this entire thing is that we'll end up being tricked. I'm not sure what would happen if after being allowed to rejoin the community as a whole one of the distrusted ended up escaping or murdering someone.”

Dan's last comment worried Joseph as well. “What about the success rate?”

“Two and four seem like they'll both insure that the distrusted earn their keep at the very least. So long as the distrusted are paying for themselves I'm not worried about that. It would be nice if they produced more then they took in though so that perhaps in the long term we could say they've earned the use of the laboratory as well. That one is going to be rough. Even though the sisters never really made use of the laboratory the fact that it's being used to house the distrusted is going to upset several of them. Especially those who have their own ideas for what such a building could be used for.”

Nathan, “So the majority holds that plan one would be basically setting the distrusted up for failure rather then helping them. Let's not allow that to reflect on the other plans though. Let's take a moment to evaluate plan three and see how it holds up to the plans proposed in plan two. Personally I believe that the third offers more of an incentive for the distrusted to progress. By allowing interaction with willing claimed or brothers to be used as a form of reward it should let the distrusted see how much they truly value such interaction even if it isn't on their terms. Considering the way some of them make use of the claimed it seems apparent that they do desire some level of interaction.”

Mirin, “Do you really think that such interaction will be healthy for their development though? We all know that they don't have any desire to form a meaningful relationship with those they interact with. Rather it's simply a sign that their sex drive has become particularly strong.”

“Even if their desire for interaction is limited to a purely physical encounter it would force them to put some kind of value on the interaction. That's a lot better then what they have now whenever they believe they can just take any claimed that happens to wonder too far from the permitted areas. I'm sure that Sora has told you a few stories about how they stock certain areas.”

“You have a point there. Just the act of them having to ask a claimed to spend some time with them should serve some purpose as well.”

Alex, “Plan three is somewhat short on mental evaluations though don't you think? If we simply think about their actions and not their motivations then it's quite possible one of them could be restored to the community without considering her reasons. It seems more like plan three would teach them to hide their views rather then change them.”

Mirin, “True. I like that plans two, four and five all call for secret evaluation by sisters judging the scents and sounds a distrusted gives off in certain environments. If the heart suggest agitation but her words are of complete comfort then we know something is wrong. I just don't know how much credibility we can give such methods. At which point does the heart rate indicate that the distrusted is still hostile towards the brothers for example? Plus these are all methods of evaluation the distrusted have knowledge of.”

Dan, “Then why support the second method so strongly? Only three and four call for the development of methods of evaluation that don't rely on either scent or sound. Though I do question this as well. As while the distrusted do have knowledge of such methods the simple truth is that it's very hard for them to repress them. The heart speeding up when the person is agitated is a natural response. The eyes are another key point of focus for sisters and many of them have other subtle hints. Hey Joseph you've been working on ways to get past the sister's defenses. Would any of those help in the detection of a sister's actual emotional state?”

Immediately Joseph set up and looked to Dan then around at the wrest of the room. It was a surprising notion. “I can't answer that honestly but that's because I never really thought of it. That's a very good idea actually. It should be doable. The glyph I designed is meant to go around the defenses of a sister and draw out some of their energy. I'm sure the aspect where it draws out such energies could be changed to instead gain an imprint of their current emotional state. Oh. But I don't know how detailed such a process would be.”

Mirin, “That makes plan four seem more tempting. One of the reasons I was reluctant to support it is I believed some of the requirements would be too difficult to meet. I hadn't thought of your work with the glyph Joseph. Yet I don't believe we should rely entirely on magic either. Alex you've had some dealings with the orcs. They lack the superb hearing or sense of smell of our sisters. Would you say any of them are practiced at reading a person?”

“You should probably ask Kersara about that. From what I know of them though they are quite proficient at reading body language. At least their hunters are. What about some of us though? Nathan, Mirin I know that after all the dealings you've had with the sisters you've had to notice some signs. I know that they're a few I've seen. Joseph has been here the shortest time of all of us and I'm sure he's found some as well. Joseph what are some indicators of a sisters mood you've seen?”

“Ah well. I know that some of them have twitching ears. Well I suppose all of their ears move a bit to indicate their mood it's just some are more obvious then others. Maria's ears don't really tend to move a lot but even a little change can mean a lot. So I guess if a sister is talking to you nicely but her ears are constantly pulling back into an attack position something isn't quite right.”

Alex, “Indeed though I wouldn't call it an attack position. I know a few girls who's ears become a bit animated whenever she's sexual stimulated.”

“Well Maria never really gave me a chance to learn about that.”

Dan, “Don't worry Joseph that's news to me as well. I think Mina would be a bit concerned if I even mentioned that to her.”

Alex, “It's a good way to tell if she's really interested in you in some cases.

Julia, “Perhaps but have any of you men ever tried reading a sister's body language to detect if they're lying or not?” Julia wasn't surprised whenever the room went silent and many of the eyes turned to her. “I didn't think so.”

Joseph, “I guess we would need more information on such behavior if we were going to fairly use it as a means of examining the distrusted progress. Give me a few moments though I'm going to the library and I'm going to ask it a few questions.”

Julia, “That is right! You've been interfacing with the library quite a bit recently to find books you're interested in. I've been using it as well to research the spirit hunters. As useful as what you and Dan found asking the library tends to work better for me.”

Instead of commenting Joseph gave his head a nod. As he stood up though he felt somewhat uncomfortable with Julia mentioning that. While they both used the library Joseph knew that the library was to some extent influenced by the protectors. He also knew how the protectors could be. Part of him worried that Julia was trusting the library too much. Even worse he worried that such conversations may lead to the other brothers putting all their trust into the library. How long until the protectors found another brother they would try to shape into a luvarian?

Ridon, “It is really amazing. I've been doing some research into spirits lately and at times it takes me to books that I needed but would have never thought to ask about. Then they're the times that it seems to refuse to answer my question. I finally gave in and started to make use of whatever it brought me. So far I've found that whenever it doesn't bring me to the information I seek directly it's because the question is a lot bigger then I realized and I need to understand what it did bring me first.”

“That or to refine your question. I once asked it about the affects using alchemy to change the biology could have on ones ability to cast spells. The number of books it wanted to reveal to me was positively staggering. I quickly refined my question to what influence modifying the biology in order to increase tensile strength of muscles and resistance to magic could have. That reduced the books considerably but no where near enough.”

“I imagine there were books dealing with ways to increase your resistance to the elements, necromancy, charm spells and the like. Each one with its own methods and different influences.”

“Yes.”

***********************************************************************************

Naidra, “Here you go.” As she spoke Naidra held out a rather heavy book for Joseph to pick up. She had been waiting for him just within the library. With so many of the brothers at the meeting or tending to other responsibilities it was relatively empty. Yet compared to how much activity it had seen over the last fifty years it was positively buzzing with activity even now.

Joseph actually gave a slight jump. Despite her size Joseph hadn't noticed Naidra standing so close to the entrance. For her to confront him so openly was also strange. “What is this?”

“A detailed study on the sister's social behavior and their physiological reactions to different stimulants. It's out dated.”

Immediately Joseph froze up. Of all the things he had expected Naidra to say that wasn't one of them. “What?”

“That information comes from a Luvarian study which at this point has been out dated due to changes in the culture of the faelom. You were correct to assume that the library would have such records. We'll have something more up to date prepared for you soon from our own observations. We're having to cross reference the memories of several protectors in order to make a credible analysis of faelom body language.”

Joseph actually found himself smiling despite his initial surprise. “That doesn't mean you believe my plan is going to work does it?”

“No. As the one apprentice mentioned though even if we disagree with your plan we should do what we can to make it a success. Besides. If this is going to serve as a future testing process to determine which defective faelom are allowed to rejoin the community the test needs to be as accurate as possible. Perhaps in time it will evolve so that it may determine which defective faelom should be executed as well. As for your glyph. The books you'll need are waiting for you.”

“Thanks Naidra. So what should I do with this?”

“Show it to the apprentices naturally. An out of date source of information is better then no information at all. At the very least that book confirms that the sisters do give certain social signals that may be read to allow for a better examination.”

“That is a good point. Naidra there is something else before I go. What exactly are you teaching Julia and Ridon?”

“Ridon desires to progress to a true Luvarian. We have attempted to guide him down that path but it is still uncertain. Regardless of whether he succeeds or not the knowledge he gains and his development should be beneficial. As for Julia. Unfortunately Julia hasn't taken the knowledge we've provided her the way that we had hoped she would take the knowledge. Attempts to direct her in other ways have failed as well. That isn't to say we're unhappy with her progression or her progression is wrong.”

“What is she doing differently?”

“Joseph you're aware of the glyphs that spirit hunters would paint on their skin before they would begin hunting. Using a temporary marking has some risk but some benefits. The biggest benefit being that it may be removed if the body needs a time of wrest. Have you seen Julia using any of the markings that would later become tattoos?”

Joseph didn't need to think about Naidra's question o realize Julia hadn't. Her skin was completely clean. “Oh no. How bad is this?”

“It's fine as long as she can endure the changes without going blind and it's too late anyway. We provided Julia with information on how to make herself more resistant to various spirits and magic in general. We had believed she would make some light alterations to her body using alchemy and use the glyphs to reinforce those changes. Well she seems to have resolved that a temporary augmentation won't do and has relied mostly on the alchemical alterations. I do not suggest doing that with less capable spirit hunters in the future. Well spirit hunter in training or would developing be a better word?”

“I see. Does Julia know this?”

“I can't say for certain her thoughts are private after all and she doesn't keep a journal.”

“Journals are suppose to be private.”

“Joseph if you want to keep your thoughts private don't tell them to anyone else, don't write them down and most assuredly don't become part of a group mind. You'll never have a truly private thought again.” A slight chuckle escaped Naidra as she noted the look of surprise on Joseph's face. “All indicators are that she is aware of there being two alternate paths. I believe her reason for choosing this one is she seeks quicker results then what the alternative would yield. This is actually better then the use of glyphs provide she can endure the change and the permanent changes to her body. Now you should go before the others begin to wonder about your absence.” Even as she spoke Naidra knew that they wouldn't begin to worry about Joseph for some time. By presenting him with the book he needed immediately she had saved him more time then he'd spent.

“Yeah. Yeah thanks for the information Naidra. You've give me something to think about.”

“Another thing to think about you mean and we're always glad to add to the burden.”

Now it was Joseph's turn to laugh. “You don't worry that your seniors will be upset that you're trying to pressure me into a mold of your design again?”

“Oh no. This is more trying to keep you move then forcing you into a mold. They should be fine with that.”

***********************************************************************************

“This is ridiculous!” Kelah couldn't help but voice her frustration as she stepped away from the fire. Consulting with the local spirits of water had continued to be a frustrating even after some deals had been made and gifts given. This was proven extremely frustrating for Kelah due to her contract with Night Fang. Typically this contract gave her a great deal of pull with most spirits of the forest specially with those of predator or prey. The spirits of water were not so impressed by her contract with a land predator though and made no attempt to hide it.

Dinon, “Kelah you need to calm down. We haven't been making deals with the water spirits for nearly as long as we have those of the forest. They have no history with us and little reason to trust us. Factor in all the blood that was spilled in their waters and they're going to be rather resistant to our request to back off and keep the seas calm.”

“Resistance? They were mocking me!” As she spoke Kelah wasn't aware of the wolf that reached through her voice but she could feel it in the back of her mind. Her position as an alpha predator was being challenged yet she was struggling to find a way to meet the challenge.

Dinon actually took a step back from Kelah as he noted the expression on her face. This was done less out of fear and more to show respect to the wolf inside of her. She was feeling challenged and that was making her temper flare up. He would talk to her about controlling the wolf better after she had settled down but not before. “We're still searching for a predator of the sea to contract with so we can expedite establishing a territory in this region. This is a new environment for us though.”

A sigh escaped Kelah after a few moments during which her regular thought pattern was able to settle back in over the wolf. “I know! I know. Goodness I know. By the spirits though this is maddening. Night Fang isn't happy about the situation either and that's pounding in my head. Perhaps we need to go out further and bring something from the deep water in. I hear that they are some fearsome predators in the deep.”

“I just wish we could summon a spiritual version of Zarena to handle the spirits.”

“Now that would get them in line!” As she spoke Kelah turned towards the water. It hadn't broken the surface yet but she could easily tell where Zarena was working on building her little island. The massive cat girl would arrive early mornings and spend the day swimming in the ocean bringing back massive chunks of stone she'd cut with her claws. She would leave in the evening supposedly to go eat dinner at their main settlement and return for a little bit of work during the evening. She'd finally leave for sleep. “I wish that we could travel between our village and here as easily as her. I don't know why she doesn't take any of her people that want to return home.”

“I believe that's because Kersara isn't letting her do so. At least the spirits of the earth have gained strength thanks to her efforts in this region.”

“Yes and they've been a great deal of helping in calming the spirits of the ocean. At least the local ones.”

“Come on is that all you can manage! Are you going to let your brothers drown because you're too weak! Keep their heads above the water!”

As Kersara's voice ripped through the air Kelah couldn't help but grin. That was the voice of another alpha. Fortunately they had different packs as she would hate to have to prove that she was the dominant one to Kersara. Kelah would have to take the battle into the water and even then she didn't know if she would survive the experience given how Kersara had grown. “Poor Kersara. She works so hard but she just doesn't get the results she wants. Her situation isn't really different from our own.”

“Oh sure. What about sympathy for those poor girls that are having to carry rocks like they're drowning victims? Me and a few of the other offered to serve as their brothers for their training but she refuses. Even when I mentioned that the average orc is quite large and heavy she still declined. Apparently if the object can float then it won't serve her purposes. Hey Kelah what did you think whenever your father said that all the males of her species are human?”

“Um I was more focused on what he had to say about how destructive their magic can be. I always thought if we went to war with the cat people that magic would be our advantage and perhaps our salvation. Now I believe we might have to retreat to the spirit realm and hide there if it came to war.”

“Your telling me that you weren't the least bit surprised whenever you learned they were human?”

“Night Fang told me that years ago. He knows everything that hunts in this forest and he's never seen a male cat person. He just warned me that if my people learned this truth before the cat people were ready to reveal it we would be exterminated.”  A sigh escaped Kelah as she looked around at the town. They had set up several homes along the water front using information they had obtained from fishing journeys before, the information provided by Kersara's people and information from the spirits of the area they could speak with.  They still had some frustrations especially as she noted one of their totems. “We had better repair that or Naelearn is going to get upset.”

Dinon gave his head a nod as he noted the intricate carving. Naelearn being one of the more powerful spirits the orcs had contracted with it was best to keep him happy. In order to do this he required offerings and the orcs to place a few of his symbols within their settlement. Now that that had become two settlements there was a problem though. The wood he required the symbol to be carved from didn't take well to the salt in the air. Making new ones wasn't easy either as the trees didn't grow anywhere near the water front. In return though Naelearn helped protect their villages from illness. “Kersara I'm not sure if we can do that.”

“I know. I just hoped that we could maintain our contract until this settlement was better set up. We can't afford to have anyone becoming ill with so much left to do. How did negotiations go whenever you asked to change the type of wood we used to something more suited for this climate.”

“Not well. I also tried negotiating so that we could cover his symbol with some protective lacquer. He didn't like that idea either. Claimed that to influence the air he must be able to freely feel the wind.”

A long sigh escaped Kersara as she shook her head. “The spirits of the ocean want our blood. The spirits of our home aren't being cooperative. Well many of them aren't. I really didn't think that making a settlement here would be so much trouble. At least we're catching enough fish that we can meet and surpass our own food needs at this point.”

“The improvements to the fishing boats have been impressive! Do we have enough to send Zarena back with some?”

“Yes we do. I'm hoping that Kersara remembers to tell Maria to come speak with us as well. I want to send her back to our home with some fish as well. I would ask Zarena to take them there but I want to avoid leaving a path of destruction right to our home.”

***********************************************************************************

As Kersara moved through the water she had to kick rapidly and forcefully. If she stopped for even a moment she would rapidly sink and she knew it especially with the heavy load she was carrying through the water. At least the others could still float if they released their burden. She didn't plan on letting them do that though unless they were about to drown. “Clera pick it up! Hixria is going to leave us behind at this pace.”

Clera would have loved to shout her protest to their current situation but she needed all the air she could manage for swimming. Kersara had them each packing a stone one and a half meters tall and a third of a meter thick and wide roughly towards Zarena's building location. The sisters were buoyant in most cases  but just barely. Their dense muscles meant they didn't tend to displace enough water to counter act their weight. Now they were having to pack these stones so not only where they limited in the use of their arms but they were far too heavy to float.

As she moved through the water only one thought entered Hixria's mind. Beating the day lights out of Kersara. Unfortunately she was a long way away from that goal. A fact that was proven as Kersara quickly moved past her to once again begin leading the group through the water. This was how Kersara had been living for years after all. There was no way they were going to match her development in just a few months. Yet as Hixria looked at Kersara she couldn't help but hope. Hope that she would be strong enough to beat the day lights out of her tormentor some day.

“Nice job using your tail to add some extra propulsion Hixria. You're really good at coordinating the movement with your legs.”

“Thanks Kersara.”

“Okay that's enough work on our legs for now. What I want you all to do is take on the leg carry position. You're not holding a brother anymore so don't worry about keeping the stone above water. We're going to use our arms to carry us through the water for a while.” As she spoke Kersara released her hold on the stone she'd been carrying and began to quickly push her arms through the water. She made certain to adjust her hands so that she pushed as much water out of the way with her downward stroke and moved as little as possible with the upward. At the same time her legs quickly wrapped around the large stone forcing her to work her arms all the more quickly. “Nice! I remember the first time we tried this several of you couldn't even hold onto those small rocks I gave you. You're all improving. Now follow.”

Maker help me. Immediately ran through Hixria's mind. It was nice to wrest her legs but she knew her arms would be killing her before too long. It wasn't just her legs though. Typically a few hours after exercising with Kersara her entire body felt like it was going to break apart. Unfortunately there was little she could do about the situation but continue to follow behind Kersara. Once they had pushed their bodies to the limit they would head in to eat and recover. This made Hixria shiver. The sisters healing rate was remarkable compared to a humans. This was a good thing in most situations with one serious drawback. It meant that their conditioning would resume soon.

“You know many of you have the basics down very well. It may be time for me to send some of you back to the village in order to begin training other sisters while they could send me some fresh ones. Hixria how would you feel about teaching your own class in the village?”

Clera, “Hey! What are you talking about! Hixria hasn't even mentioned going home. How about sending some of us that actually want to return.”

Kersara couldn't help but glare at Clera for a few moments. “That's because Hexria is ready to start instructing some of our sisters in the basics. You are not. A few more of you are though but it's up to you.”

There was no way she would come to match Kersara's strength training on her own. Yet the thought of returning home made Hixria's mouth run positively dry. She would have to begin teaching the others but that would be far easier then actually training with Kersara. “Do you really believe I'm ready to begin teaching Kersara?”

“I believe so. At least you could prepare them for when they came out here.” A slight chuckle immediately escaped Kersara as she slowed her pace a bit so that Hixria could catch up to her. “Hey can you imagine if Mina wanted you to train her?”

The thought actually pushed some of the negative thoughts about Kersara from Hexria's mind. “Why would Mina want to train to strengthen her body further?”

“Well think about it. What she has now is effectively her natural strength. How much stronger could she become if a training program was developed for her? Okay everyone let's head towards land before you start to sink and I have to drag you back. You can have some food and give your muscles time to recover.”

***********************************************************************************

As Stella listened to the proposal she had to take in a deep breath. She didn't mind that they had chosen to use the laboratory for something other then research given how many of the brothers were working in the citadel now. It was the new use that bothered her. “I suppose my feelings for Allen make me rather on the paranoid side. I mean. If the distrusted complete this training program then whenever they're released I would have to just let them stand near my son.”

“Perhaps even talk to him.”

Stella, “You're not helping!” As she responded Stella could hear the hiss in her own voice. She saw no reason to apologize for this as she took in a deep breath. “I can respect the notion of mercy though.”

As she listened to Stella Flora nodded her head. In truth she was rather surprised by Stella's comment though. “Stella I didn't expect to hear that from you.”

“Yes well I'm also impressed by the thought the brothers put into the security features.” A sigh escaped Stella as she shook her head. “I still don't like the idea though. But I think of Allen and what I would do if he insisted on escaping from the forest with a mage's training. I imagine the difficulty in containing him and what we might have to do. Then I know that I would want him to be shown mercy as well even if his behavior put us all in danger.”

Flora, “I know what you're feeling Stella.”

“I imagine you know such feelings even better then I do.” For a moment everyone went silent and Stella took in a deep breath. “It still makes me angry though!”

Laughter seemed to come from every sister and many were nodding their heads in agreement. Even Flora had to admit part of her was upset by this plan. She was also rather worried that Zarena had been quiet the entire time. All she had said was that she approved of the brother's proposal. From what point on it had been up to Flora and Vera to explain the proposal to the other keepers. Mina had been helping as well. “Now I hate to ask this but do we have any volunteers to be keepers of the distrusted?”

Stella, “Oh by all that is good and tasty that sounds horrible!”

Flora, “Indeed so. What do you all believe that the one who keeps the distrusted should be rewarded with? I'm sure you all realize the additional issues that will come from tending to the distrusted. Unlike a claimed any attempts to run has a very good chance at success should they make it past the security measures.”

Mirara, “As the keeper handling this task will be watching distrusted I believe we need to have more then a keeper there actually. It would help if we had someone that was capable of tracking without relying on scent or hearing the same way we do. I was even thinking that Markus and I might take the task so long as I could have some guardian assistance to insure that he's safe.” As she looked around Mirara knew that her idea that caught the other sisters off guard. They seemed surprised though it was clear that they were thinking.

Zarena, “Markus? As in your former claimed Markus? The one that Alex deceived into helping with his escape.”

Mirara, “Yep and the one that's been teaching some of us how to hunt without depending on our hearing or sense of smell so much.”

Flora couldn't help but chuckle as she imagined how the distrusted would respond to that. A human, a former claimed and a key person in one of the worse escape attempts they'd ever had helping to keep an eye on them. “Mirara are you trying to get the distrusted killed! Oh I can just imagine the horror on their faces if we told them Markus would be serving as one of their keepers. You would probably end up killing half of them just while protecting him.”

Zarena, “Oh that sounds like a good idea to me!”

Chuckles could be heard throughout the room as the keepers smiled at one another. It was Mina who spoke first. “Well I can sure see the advantage to having him help take care of the claimed. When was the last time that the distrusted had to deal with a brother who had authority over them after all? By living away from the main village they pretty much insure that they never do. Honestly though I fear for Markus's well being in such a situation.”

Mirara, “Mina that's mean! Do you really believe I'd let Markus come to harm? If we're going to do this he won't be leaving my side whenever near the distrusted. At least not until I'm very certain they've learned the situation well. That's also why I'd like a matron or two to assist me.” As she spoke Mirara tried to give Mina a hurt look but she was struggling too much with her smile. The notion that the distrusted would be so horrified by Markus being one of their keepers was still making her smile.

“Okay you make a very good point. Asking a guardian to tend to the distrusted though. I swear we're already devoting a lot of resources to this problem and that's another one that could be used else where. Do you have any idea of what guardian we could ask?”

Flora, “I don't believe we should ask a guardian to handle this actually but rather a matron. In particular I believe Sora or Fera would be superb choices. One that they can never be certain of if she's there or not and the other they know they can't hide from.”

Stella, “Oh that is a good idea! Since the matrons have stayed roughly the same size since we last grew there need has diminished a little. It would be nice to get them back into regular activities. They've been helping with the rebuilding anyway.”

Mirara, “That is true. Now I'll need a little time to speak to Markus about this of course. I believe having a matron or two serve as the keeper of the distrusted would be a good move though. After all. They are also people the distrusted avoid by staying away from the main village.”

***********************************************************************************

Joseph had long since given up on trying to follow the movements of Maria's arms. The were simply a blur as they worked over the drums. He could just about follow the movement of her tail as she worked the ones behind her. The fact that she was using her tail to strike the drums was proving a problem for him though. It made it hard for him not to burst out into laughter even as he listened to her. The fact that Mira and Flora didn't seem to mind in the least only added to the situation. Ridon seemed to have notice but didn't seem to think it was strange. Fortunately Joseph could divert his gaze towards the notes he had taken on Maria's eating habits. He was quite surprised whenever Maria's playing was joined by words and he immediately turned his gaze towards Mira who had began to sing along.

Ridon was always amazed by the difference in sound from when a brother played the drums as compared to when a sister did. Thanks to the use of their tail and precision movements a sisters drums were far more numerous then a brothers with a wider range of sounds. It wasn't just the number of sounds though. The speed with which the sisters could work the drums allowed them to combine the sounds in ways that a brother couldn't match. He had no doubt if he tried to move his arms as fast as Maria was moving hers they would be ripped off his body. Maria's was different from other sisters though. Her speed allowed her to generate combinations of sounds even other sisters couldn't match.

As she listened to her daughter's Flora was tempted to join in. It was so wonderful to hear Maria's playing, even if it was different from her younger days, combined with Mira's singing. That had changed to though as she looked over at her keeper daughter. With Mira's larger size came changes to her vocal cords. Her voice was more powerful and she couldn't make quite the same sounds as she used to thanks to those changes. She was actually surprised by how light Mira could make her voice and had little doubt it was from careful control of her breath. In time though Mira would have to adjust to singing with her more powerful voice rather then trying to keep it as light as when she was smaller.

Despite struggling with his laughter Joseph couldn't help but clap the moment Maria and Mira seemed to finish. “That was wonderful you two. Mira what were you singing though? I didn't recognize any of the words?”

“Well they weren't words they were incantations.”

“Huh?”

“That song you heard was actually a combination of several spells. Not that I have the ability to cast them which is kind of the point I suppose. No danger in me singing them.”

“How did that happen?”

“We're really not sure. It's just something early sisters would do. I guess after spending so much time around the Luvarians they noticed how certain spells seem to harmonize with one another whenever spoken out loud. A few of the sisters began to chain these words together in order to form songs of a sort.”

Maria, “I think we came up with it just so we could do something that our brothers couldn't do with magic. A little jealous on our part you might say.”

Mira couldn't help but grin and nod in agreement with her sisters. “You may be onto something Maria. So no trying to copy our songs Joseph.” As she finished speaking Mira couldn't help but rub her throat. Her vocal cords were positively tingling as she took on her new natural voice. “I don't know how much longer I'll be able to sing like that though. It's rather rough on my throat.”

Flora, “You must have been quite surprised when Maria's voice began to carry more power as her vocal cords became larger Joseph. What did you think the first time you heard Maria after a major bit of growth?”

Maria, “Mom! Joseph there is no need to answer that.” As she spoke Maria actually found herself feeling a little nervous about the possible answer. Her main concern was that her voice had transitioned from a cute one to something less appealing. The thought was extremely uncomfortable whenever she considered that Joseph's experiments could result in her growing even larger.

“It's okay Maria. Actually I thought she sounded sexier Flora. What she had before was cute especially whenever we first met but I don't know if I would call it sexy.

Good answer flashed into Flora's mind as she nodded at Joseph. It seemed to make Maria happy as well as Flora noted a change in her daughter's breath. With an answer like that it should make Maria more comfortable about growing larger. “I just wish I knew how Zarena kept that voice of hers. She's powerful but her words are far lighter then what you'd expect from someone of her size. If she was the same size as one of us her words would positively be a whisper.”

Mira, “I would guess years of practice whenever she was awake.” As she spoke Mira found her ears twitching as she listened to her own voice. The changes were there and she wasn't comfortable with them. “Then again perhaps she was already very quiet whenever she was a guardian.”

“Oh I hope not. If she had to learn how to keep her voice so light then she could teach others. If her light voice just came naturally then we're going to have to figure something once Joseph is done with us.”

Joseph, “Well I wouldn't worry about that kind of growth Flora. I mean. Have you seen how much energy it takes to actually keep Zarena active? If she was to rely on the forest to sustain her then she would probably end up stripping it of resources in a few decades.”

“Well a lady can hope. How has Maria been doing in regards to her training?”

Now Joseph couldn't help but smile as he once again took out his notes. “Maria is showing a sustained increase of five percent based on some estimates and feed back I had to get. I know it may not sound like much but that means the conditioning is really working.”

For a moment Ridon was made to look towards his own notes. In truth he didn't agree with Joseph's results. From his own estimates Maria's increase was still a bit less then five percent but the results were certain. It was probable Joseph was inflating the number to five percent to sound more encouraging. “From what other sisters have observed you're taking your meals further apart Maria.”

“Other sisters observed?” For a moment Maria went silent as she looked to Ridon and then Joseph. “Are you having the others spy on me?”

For a moment Joseph felt himself freeze up and looked to Ridon. They had spoken to a few of the cooks at the dining hall about when they saw Maria. Joseph had also been keeping tabs on her. On top of that he had asked Naidra about her progress. Now he found himself a little worried and wishing that Ridon hadn't said anything. He actually felt relieved whenever her heard Mira's voice. “Sis. Since when have we treated our eating like a private matter? I remember a little speed demon running at.”

“Now now Sis! No need to go telling stories. Yeah I.”

Joseph, “Hey wait a minute. What did she do?”

Maria, “Joseph!”

A slight chuckle escaped Mira as she looked at Joseph, Maria and then Flora. It was looking at Flora that told her what she should do. “Sorry Joseph if you want the story you're going to have to get it out of Maria.”

“Come on Maria. Let me hear the story.”

Maria could feel her cheeks growing warm as she fought back a blush. After a few moments a long sigh escaped her. “Fine! I used my speed to cut in front of thirteen other sisters whenever I saw there was only one fruit treat left. I had just came into the dining hall and new they'd be done preparing sweets for the time being. Well not really the dining hall. The temporary dining hall and I knew that they wouldn't be making anymore baked goods.”

“Tell her the good part.”

“Mira come on!”

“You started it tell him the good part.”

A sigh escaped Maria as she shook her head. “I cut right in front of Terima. I thought it was a guardian I forgot to account for how much we had been allowed to grow.”

Joseph, “Maria! You cut in front of a kid!”

Mira, “You should have seen the look Pera and Terima gave her. On a side note Joseph. Don't be surprised if you're caught up in a practical joke.”

A sigh escaped Maria and her head quickly snapped to the side upon hearing some chuckling. She wasn't surprised to see her mother laughing. “Oh no. They came to you didn't they?”

“Would it make you feel better if I answered that question?”

“No.”

“Then don't be a silly and ask it.” As Flora finished speaking she felt her smile growing. Terima and Pera had indeed came to her looking for advice on how they might play a joke on a sister as swift as Maria. It needed to be something on par with snatching the last of the pastries when it clearly belonged to someone else. This had proven tricky even for Flora to think of.

A sigh escaped Maria as she turned her attention back to Joseph. “So you've been talking to the others about my eating habits?”

“Well yes. I needed it to make my calculations and well.” It surprised Joseph whenever he felt himself grinning. “I know that you tend to forget little snacks at times.”

Maria gave a slight chuckle and nodded her head. “True. That's one of the reasons I'm so glad to have you watching out for me. I swear Joseph at times I believe you really were guided to us considering everything that has happened over the last few years. It would have been a lot rougher for us if you hadn't been here.”

“Guided to you by what?”

“I don't know. We've never really been the type to worship the spirits the way the orcs do. I guess because we've always consider this forest ours and even the spirits are guest in our forest. After all it was the Luvarians who made this forest and we're the ones that were made to protect it. We've had claimed in the past who would talk of this god or that god. Some of them even managed to regain their freedom and stayed to talk to us about their gods. None of it ever really stuck though.” As she finished speaking Maria gave a shrug.

“I imagine it's hard to convince someone as strong as you sisters to worship any god. Did any of them promise that you'd never hunger again.”

Flora, “A few did a bit before Maria's time.”

Maria, “Hey! There was that one with the funny red markings on his robe whenever I was a kid. Remember he worked his way up from being a claimed always talking about how his god had guided him into the forest to be taken by us so that he might redeem us. You remember him right mom?”

“Oh yes. The name escapes me.”

Joseph, “What happened?” As Joseph spoke he took a moment to look down at the glyphs. It was amazing how comfortable Maria and Flora seemed to be at the moment. The psychological release of conversation seemed to help a great deal. “I haven't seen any sisters praying to any gods or even heard them talk about it.”

Maria, “I don't remember. He was here for a while and then one day he wasn't. I never really gave it much thought.”

For a moment Flora closed her eyes. Even as a keeper she hadn't had much to do with the priest and her memory of the events weren't the most solid. Especially with so many important events happening between then and now. “If I remember correctly he couldn't keep his promises. A few sisters talked about how he could solve their hunger but I guess a human can only channel so much power at a given time. Then the sisters began to doubt if his god could sustain them and when he started talking about leaving the forest they weren't willing to do so. What I believe ended his stay though was some kind of disagreement he had with the brothers. OH yes! I remember that now. He made some comment that the brothers couldn't hope to make us complete beings and they didn't take that well at all.”

Joseph, “So the brothers had him removed?”

“No. That's not what I remember. As I recall Nathan. A much younger Nathan decided to confront the priest directly. I wasn't there for the event as we only learned about it after it was over with. The priest left a little while after whatever happened with Nathan. Oh but we were so mad at Nathan for putting himself in danger! At least we assumed he put himself in danger at first. It wasn't something the brothers really talked about. You might be able to get an answer out of him if you ask him about it. Though he'll probably just tell you he's too old to remember.”

As Flora finished her story Maria took a moment to look to Mira. “How goes your lessons with Vera.”

“Painful! Without you there anymore she's focusing even more attention on those of us who remain. She's had two of us begin teaching others the basic strikes but she doesn't want to hear about us sparring using what she's teaching us without her presence. Mina offered to let us use her as a target so that we could practice hitting critical areas. Have you ever really hit Mina?”

“No.”

“It hurts! I mean it seriously hurts whenever you hit her. Those muscles of hers are so solid. She insisted that some of the more advanced techniques I know sting a little but you sure couldn't see it on her body.” A sigh escaped Mira as she looked down at her hands. “She even took the time to assure us that we were causing her a little bit of pain.”

“You're not buying it are you.”

“No. Well yes. I mean I don't know. Mina has always been honest and I'm sure she wouldn't lie to make it look like we were developing more then what we had. It's just she doesn't even flinch whenever we supposedly make the hit sting. I asked Vera earlier if she believed she could handle Mina in a fight. You know what she said?”

“She would have a slim chance of winning.” Flora had a grin on her face as both girls looked towards her. While she hadn't spoken to Vera about the notion of fighting Mina she had a good idea of how Vera would respond. “Mina has weak points just like any of us. However, her weak points are still better defended then many of our strongest points. Vera would have to avoid everyone of Mina's attacks while focusing on these weak points until one of them failed.”

As Flora was speaking Mira was nodding her head. The wording wasn't exactly the same but it was very close. “Yeah. So have you spoken to Vera about that before?”

“No. I've spoken to Mina about it. It was when Mina was first adapting to her muscles. She wanted to know what it would take to harm her so she could get a better idea of what she could fight. She actually had me spend some time beating on her but well I'm not the best fighter amongst the keepers. So my strikes weren't refined enough. We actually had to ask a few keepers for help before we found one that could. The real reason that Vera would have a chance against Mina is her conditioned claws.”

Mira, “Oh yeah. I always thought all of our claws were sharp but I never saw what Vera's could do up close. So how many of Mina's hits do you believe Vera could avoid?”

“On average? I would say ten out of ten but Mina would deliver far more then ten attacks before she went down. Not that Mina doesn't try to practice.”

“Everything she practice with breaks though.”

Yes. Dan once even tried to make her a sort of punching bag that was meant to deform with her punches and then return to shape rather then break. Unfortunately he underestimated the stress that Mina's hits would put on it and she ended up covered in some horrible smelling gel. Oh. Never mention that in front of Mina either. The memory of the smells still makes her sick and I do mean she'll end up throwing up if you mention that event. She's put a lot of effort into blocking the memory.”

As he Listened to Flora Joseph couldn't help but imagine Mina having to leave the room upon someone mentioning the bag. It brought a grin to his face but he had to wonder. “Are you serious Flora?”

“Yes. Then after she's done being sick she'll be rather annoyed with you and even angry if she knows you had advanced warning. I can understand her situation though. I helped clean the gel off of her and out of her fur. It was horrible! I couldn't stand to smell my own hands for two days after the event and numerous washings. I even resorted to a sand wash down to try to remove the stink.” As she spoke Flora actually gave a slight shiver as she recalled even the faint smell. “Oh I believe I'm making myself a little sick now.”

“I believe I know what you're talking about. It can used with cloth armor types to make them more resistant to blunt weapons. The gel really is good for absorbing force. I never noticed a smell though.”

“At times your limited sense of smell is one of your biggest advantages.” A sigh escaped Flora as she shook her head. “Normally alchemical potions and gels smell good but whatever that stuff is smells positively horrible.”

“I wonder if that's because it's meant to discharge energy. You seem to enjoy the smell and taste of anything with abundant easy to digest nutrients and energy. The gel you have in mind is extremely hard to process though after all it needs to hold up to repeated hits and not break down. It is also meant to dissipate energy not contain it. How did that affect her and Dan's relationship?”

“Oh not much. Dan helped her get clean and did what he could for her. He also apologized a lot. He kept applying this other salve to her nose which purified the air for her. I don't know how Mina didn't avoid going insane or passing out whenever she was first covered in the stuff though. Oh you should have seen it. I remember once she actually yelled. I wish I could go back into a coma while you wash this stuff of me. Though with far more energy. Dan would have had more then a few sisters upset with him if he hadn't been so devoted in taking care of her and getting her clean. The salve you see didn't even last an hour on Mina due to our body's nature. So he kept preparing fresh salve and applying it even while she slept on the first night so she wouldn't wake up.”

Mira, “That was sweet of him!”

“Yes it was. It was also the main reason none of us involved with the clean up were angry with him. Oh if he hadn't helped get that gel off of her I don't know if their relationship would have worked out though. Well maybe it would have. Whenever I asked Mina about it she said that after all the bruises she gave him whenever they were being intimate she couldn't hold this mistake against him. He didn't know that the gel smelt so awful.”

For a moment Joseph couldn't help but think of Dan back at the alchemy shop. It had been a while since he had seen him there. He had been standing in front of his equipment willing his healing potion to be ready faster. It was enough to chuckle about. “I should ask Dan this but I wonder if any of you know. How often does Mina bruise Dan up?”

Flora, “Not often at all! During normal intercourse Mina doesn't harm Dan in the least these days. Typically he's injured on rough nights. Mind you these were his idea. It's nights were he uses alchemy to toughen his body up so that Mina can be less restrained and enjoy herself more. Often his potions hold but at times they weaken a little early. With the way we've been growing I imagine that has become more difficult.”

“Hm I believe I'll go speak to Dan later. Maybe we can work together to come up with something even better then what he has been using. Anyway, Maria, Flora that's it. You can get out of the glyphs for today.”

Maria, “We're done already?”

“Yes you are.”

For a moment Maria wasn't sure what to say. Between playing the music and talking the time had moved by quite rapidly. Her muscles felt tense and a little sore which was strange but she didn't feel like she had been within the glyph of draining for an hour. As she stepped out of the glyph though she was surprised whenever she stumbled slightly. “Whoops. Wobbly legs.”

Flora, “Mine feel a little stiff as well. I suppose we need to work our legs a little as well.”

***********************************************************************************

“You want me to do what?” As Markus looked at Mirara he couldn't be certain that he had heard her right. Keepers were sisters. They were never brothers. Now he was asked to be the keeper not to other humans but to a group of sisters. It didn't seem like the safest position to be in whenever he considered they were distrusted.

“I want you to serve as one of the keepers to the distrusted we're going to be taking care of. You see the higher ranked brothers have come up. Hey wait a minute! Why am I having to explain this to you? They should have asked you to come to their meeting even at your rank.”

“Oh. Well there have been a few requests but. I just don't get into that mage talk.” As he spoke Markus felt like he'd done something wrong. It was the same feeling he got whenever he realized Mirara was about to scold him whenever he was a claimed. In truth it seemed a bit worse then he was a claimed. She couldn't decide if he lived or not anymore or she wasn't allowed to anymore but having her upset with him still hurt.

“Markus! You're not going to progress in rank if you don't become involved in the dealings of the others.”

“Ah well. I don't particularly want to advance Mirara. Rank five is fine with me you know. Politics isn't something that I've ever really been a fan of. Plus I'm not sure I want to be responsible for others.”

“Choosing to be ignorant of events and decisions does not absolve you of responsibility.” As she finished speaking Mirara couldn't help but give a sigh. “Still you are rather busy. Training the sisters and going into the forest to hunt. I should mention that if you accept my offer then hunting is going to be for recreation from that point on and honestly you won't get a lot of time for it. Normal claimed require supervision. The distrusted are going to be another issue all together. Fortunately that's the point of a curfew or one of the reasons.”

“It gives you time to do some things for yourself.” As he spoke Markus couldn't help but imagine what it would mean if one of the distrusted ran. He would be expected to help hunt it down. Given that they would be hunting another sister who would know the same tricks as the others and how to conceal them they would likely be relying on him a lot. “If we're going to do this then I want some of my students to be the assistant guardians.”

“OH that is a good idea!”

“Also you have to let me step up your lessons as well. I'm not going to be the only one that knows what to look for whenever hunting for something as stealthy as one of you.” As he was speaking it felt strange to make demands of Mirara. Typically he would have requested her agreement. Since he had become her mate though Mirara had been pushing him to be more assertive and more involved. He was officially a brother after all and while the lowest rank possible that still required a change in behavior. Markus still felt that his voice lacked the confidence he heard in the other brothers whenever speaking to sisters other then Mirara but he was working on it.

Did she have the time to receive more training from Markus? The question was one Mirara had to truly consider. With the change in her job she would be able to leave some of her responsibilities behind. Given that it would take a little time to prepare the laboratory it was possible. “Very well but we're going to have to work hard before it's time to begin tending to the distrusted. I'm not going to have you instructing me in proper hunting techniques where they can learn from you as well. Your skills are one of the few advantages we'd have should they choose to run.”

To this Markus gave a nod. “You know your breathing changes whenever you're really thinking about something just a bit. It's like you're trying to pump more oxygen to your brain. Actually I've noticed that in a lot of you. Whenever you're really conflicted or thinking about something your breathing picks up.”

“Really? I never noticed. Blast it Markus you should have been at the meeting!” There had been a slight delay in Mirara's outburst as she had taken a moment to remember the brothers were looking into the body language of sisters. Now here was Markus with a trained hunters eye and he had been observing the sisters for years learning how to judge their responses. The fact that he had leaped onto his seat told her that she had put a bit too much energy into her voice. “So what does my body tell you now?”

“That you're not ready to attack but damn you're annoyed. What did I do? I mean you said I should have gone to the meeting earlier.”

“Markus they're trying to prepare techniques for the reading of a sister's body language to help in the evaluation of the distrusted. Little indicators that even we haven't noticed. How many other indicators do you know?” As she spoke Mirara didn't expect a truthful answer from Markus. She just wanted to make it clear that he should have been at the meeting.

For a moment Markus wasn't certain what he should say. He was so far out of the loop that he didn't even know what they had talked about. Not that he had tried to find out. “I believe that I could help them with that. I'm not one for meetings though Mirara. How about we go to visit one of the higher ranking brothers and I can tell them what I've noticed while I was claimed? You'd be surprised by how many things your tail can tell someone.” As he spoke he could tell that Mirara already approved of his idea. She would continue to pester him him to attend the meetings without a doubt. She often said they needed view points from other cultures. He wasn't certain that he was ready to start attending them though.

“That sounds good. I can also let them know what you're going to be helping me as a keeper of the distrusted.”

“Huh? Hey now I haven't agreed yet!”

“Oh sure you did. Your body is telling me that.” A slight chuckle escaped Mirara as she helped Markus up. He seemed to realize the truth in what she said though he did give a rather frustrated sigh. “Now what one of your students would you trust to keep you safe around the distrusted?”

***********************************************************************************

Lidra couldn't even hold her mouth up as she looked at Flora. Her daughter was with her which made running pointless. It was still hard to resist the urge to run. “What do you mean I'm suppose to come with you?”

“We're currently gathering all the distrusted together so that we can give you some good news. Don't worry we're not going to kill you. If we were going to do that Sora would just be going around breaking your heads off so that the others wouldn't know to run. Well that or my Maria would be. I'm pretty sure she could kill one of you without you even seeing her coming.” As she spoke Flora kept her tone light but she wanted to be honest as well. This would hopefully help keep the distrusted from running in the future.

“All of us? So you have something planned for us.”

“Well yes. We had to after a bunch of you stole the life bloom from Joseph's home.”

“We saved it from burning up!”

“I'm sure that Joseph would have preferred to have that tree burned to ash rather then stolen by you. Isn't that right Maria?”

“Yes it is. He hasn't even mentioned the tree after finding out it had been secured.” Even as she was speaking it was clear to Maria that Lidra was seething with anger. There was fear there as well. Likely fear of the unknown. “We're not going to torture you or beat you Lidra. We're not going to torture any of the distrusted though you may not agree with us. Now come along.”

“Then what are you going to do?”

“It'll be easier to explain it to all of you at once now come.”  As she spoke Flora knew that this type of behavior had to change. She was a keeper telling a sister of lower rank that she needed to come and speak with some of the other keepers. For nearly any other sister that would have been sufficient to get them moving unless they were very busy. It was a keepers responsibility to insure the community was functioning smoothly after all. Now one of the most disruptive elements in the community was being resistant. It was what she expected but she knew other keepers wouldn't be so tolerant of such behavior.

“So have those pets of yours decided to waste my time again?”

“Lidra. Get your tail moving before I have Maria grab you by the tail and run all the way to the meeting site dragging you along for the ride.” The fact that Lidra continued to scowl at her really didn't upset Flora. It reminded her of a young sister whenever she didn't get her way. This thought actually prompted a giggle from Flora despite her best attempts to keep it in check. She had just remembered the look Dremera had given Joseph whenever he was out of her reach. Flora could just imagine Lidra hissing like Dremera. It wouldn't have been nearly as cute or tolerable but the image was quite funny.

When she had first been confronted by Flora Lidra had been suspicious. She had been well beyond the towns boundaries and even moved to conceal herself. The fact that they came to her told her that they had been looking for her. At first she had thought that Joseph wanted to speak to her again. The thought of being brought in to speak to him again as if she was some servant he could call on a whim made her stomach churn. Then when Flora had mentioned the other distrusted were being gathered she had been concerned. They had been quiet about the theft of the tree for a long while. Had they finally decided on what they were going to do about it? Now Flora was laughing at her. “What's so funny you bitch!”

“Well you were a moment ago but now you're just being unpleasant.” Before Lidra could respond Flora quickly clapped her hands together then took hold of Lidra's shoulder with her right. She wasted no time giving her a good push in the direction she wanted her to go. “Enough of that thought! Let's get moving.” It didn't surprise Flora whenever Lidra tensed up. It was clear though that Lidra wasn't going to begin moving unless she was physically forced to do so. At least she wouldn't begin moving without delaying a bit longer. “You don't want to keep your friends waiting you know.”

It was too much. A sharp growl escaped from Lidra as she turned to face Flora again. “Who do you think you are to grab me like that! You.” Lidra once again went silent as Flora took hold of her.

“I am a keeper and I am well within my rights. You're being uncooperative and confrontational. Even if you weren't one of the less liked sisters I would be confident standing before my fellow keepers and having them evaluate my actions. Now it's time for us to be going.” It was clear to Flora that Lidra was now quite angry. This was rather disappointing as she would probably be even more troublesome during the meeting then she would have been while calm. Not that there was much for them to talk about. The decision had been made.

***********************************************************************************

As he looked at the various distrusted Nathan took in a deep breath. Currently he was perched atop Zarena's big toe looking down at the seated distrusted. Zarena for her part was keeping a very close eye on all of them. He had felt rather strange whenever she picked him up and set him atop her foot but didn't have time to talk to her about it. She had probably waited for the distrusted to be brought in for that very reason. He would have to have a word with her about such actions in private later. “Well here are a bunch of faces that I haven't seen in a long while. You're looking well Tatra.”

“What is this about? Why have you disturbed our lives?” As she spoke Tatra held an even tone. With Zarena looking down on them, Vera, Flora and Maria there being venomous didn't seem like a good idea. She could not bring herself to speak warmly though.

“Very well I'll get to the point. Recently some of you worked together to steal one of the life bloom trees to begin producing your own fruit. The tree and the seeds were retrieved but it has forced us to action. Before whenever you were a silent minority you were largely ignored. We realize now that we abandoned you and we aim to make up for that. So for our first step your authority over the claimed and anyone in this forest has been removed. If you are caught killing strangers that have entered into the forest it will be examined as if you had killed a ranked member of the community. The same goes for harm and any sexual interaction.”

Lidra, “What the hell are you saying! We can't even defend our home! You're stripping us the right to enjoy our property as well!” As she called out Lidra wasn't thinking of Zarena or the others in the room. Her focus was on Nathan and the anger in her voice was clear for everyone to hear. The fact that she heard a few roars of agreement made her feel bolder. “You have no right to take away our prey.”

“The claimed are not prey. This forest isn't yours but belongs to all of us and we're no longer going to allow you to use it as you have been. Further more you're all going to be provided with housing. We'll be making use of the lower levels of the laboratory which is being converted for your comfort. Now the exact time will be set by the steward of the laboratory but some of you are going to be given a curfew. Those of you involved in the theft of the life bloom won't be allowed to leave until your steward gives you permission.” As he spoke Nathan felt rather certain at least one of the distrusted would have attacked him by now if it wasn't for the other sisters in the room. The fact that Zarena seemed primed to swat them all like insects probably helped keep them seated.

“Meals will be served for you at the laboratory. As you will no longer be permitted to socialize with the brothers you won't be permitted to eat at the dining hall, go to the market or the library. You are still welcome to come visit in the citadel though. Now naturally you're still going to have to contribute to the community. In order to facilitate this the you'll be provided some garden space to work from. Now the yield from these gardens will be limited so rather then producing food we're going to have you growing some of the more valuable plants. We're also considering a pen.”

Lidra, “What the hell is this!” As she spoke Lidra found herself standing before she was thinking. The force of the keepers and sleeper's eyes kept her held in place but she couldn't just set. “You're imprisoning us! Even those of us that weren't involved! Because we won't be your servants you imprison us in these tiny starving bodies! Now you intend to take even more from us rather then let us grow to what is natural!”

Vera, “Nothing is natural about our bodies and we aren't servants. I should kill each and everyone of you that was involved in the theft of the life bloom. However, I was asked to wait and give this new plan an attempt. So be grateful that our brothers are trying to save your lives.” As she spoke Vera kept her voice calm though cold. Given how much pushing the brothers had to do just so they could begin training as spirit hunters again the notion the sisters were servants seemed laughable to Vera. At the worse they were servants who could determine what their master was allowed to do.

For a moment no one said anything. Though Nathan got the strange feeling that Zarena was very happy with Vera response. Something about the slight vibrations that were running throughout her foot and shaking his entire body seemed to just say she was excited. “What Vera said is the truth. Even for a sister with a more welcoming view of the community such actions would receive a stern punishment.”

Rather then waiting for Lidra to speak again Tetra chose to involve herself. “So we've proven to be more of a threat then you previously believed so you decided to do something about us.”

“That is part of the problem. The other problem is what's considered the appropriate size for a child is changing or beginning to. If you were to be kept at your current size you wouldn't even be the same size as children and left to suffer with your hunger. In case you're wondering. This new program includes the potential for you to be allowed to eat more depending on how you do. The idea is that once you've finally finished the program you should be what is considered the adult size for a sister.”

“Of course. You really want to get your hooks in us.”

A sigh escaped Nathan despite his regular composure. “It seems that it's necessary to pull you back from the cliff you're running full sprint towards. Let me say this again. Joseph pushed for this program because without it you were all going to be killed. If death is preferable to you then it is still very much a choice but I hope you don't go down that path.”

Zarena, “I do.” Even as the words left her mouth Zarena could hardly believe she'd just said that. The words had popped into her head and went out her mouth in an instant. She wasn't about to retract them though even as Nathan turned to glare at her. The fact that nearly all the distrusted seemed to shrink back into their seats was amusing though. It seemed like it had got the point across though as they began to look at one another.

Yet another thing Nathan would need to talk to Zarena about later. “Your keeper is going to be Markus, Mirara, Sora and two there will also be two guardians to serve as Markus's assistants. They will be handling your day to day activities and play a key roll in your evaluation.”

Lidra, “A recently released claimed! You would let one of those determine our fate.”

“He has a lot more friendly view towards you then some of us.”

***********************************************************************************

“I don't see why you weren't there.” As she spoke Maria leaned over Joseph allowing her breast to settle atop his head. She gave a slight giggle whenever he began to bind over as the weight began to press down a bit more firmly then he found comfortable. “It was your idea after all and you were the one that spoke with quite a few people. Why did you ask Nathan to tell them about the new plan for them?”

“I really don't like giving people orders like that Maria. Honestly I would make a terrible judge as I really have to find someone detestable to tell them there freedom is going to be taken away. I would feel awful locking someone up until their trial especially if I believed they hadn't committed the crime or wasn't very certain.”

“Trial?”

“A big meeting where people decide if someone has committed a crime or not.”

“Oh! I knew that. I guess I'm just not thinking clearly at the moment.” As she spoke Maria began to lightly shift her breast atop Joseph's head. Her hardening nipples soon made their presence known as they brushed through his hair. It was quite obvious to Maria whenever Joseph noticed them. His body froze for a moment and his heart rate seemed to increase. This brought an excited giggle from her as she settled her right breast atop his head. “Wow one of my breasts completely covers up your head.”

Why sexual teasing from Maria was quite common in their daily life even verging on the point of bullying at times this was different. Instead of leaning forward to take the wait of Maria's breast off his head he pushed upwards against the massive mound of flesh. Both his hands reached above his head and Joseph pressed them into Maria's massive right breast to truly feel the mass of flesh above him. As Maria had grown her fur had remained the same length. Yet the amount of flesh he had to found had increased. “We have been rather busy lately haven't we.”

Reaching down Maria slipped her right hand underneath Joseph. He shifted his weight as she did so in order to accommodate him. Standing over four meters tall now Maria's hand wasn't quite large enough to Joseph to set within but she could give him a decent squeeze with just the one hand. “I've barely had time to see to your health with our morning exercises.” As she spoke Maria began to slide her hand underneath Joseph under his legs and then his rear once again. The fact that this resulted in his head shifting against her breast made the situation even more fun as she looked towards his pants. As she stood up Maria placed her hand against Joseph's chest and held him against her body to insure that she didn't drop him. An amused giggle came from her as she looked between her breast.

Joseph had turned his head upwards to look towards Maria's face. What he found was his vision obscured by Maria's chest with only a tiny sliver between those massive mounds that he could see through. He actually felt his heart rate speed up whenever that gap closed. When he tried to shift to the side to see around Maria's breast though she held him in place once again allowed her breast to part.

“Peekaboob I see you.” Before Joseph could respond Maria once again flexed her chest so that her breast pressed together once again blocking her view of Joseph. She held this for a moment before relaxing them once again. “Peekaboob.” This time Maria got the response she wanted from Joseph as she heard him chuckle. Both his hands reached up and pressed against the underside of her breast and Maria once again flexed her chest muscles to push them together. This time she had some resistance to overcome as Joseph tried to part her breasts so that he could see between them.

Maria had more strength in her hands then Joseph did in his entire body. He knew that. Not only was she much larger then him but even if they were the same size she would have been far stronger. Her breast were far from the strongest part of her body though and even had quite a bit of give in them. He felt confident that he could part them at least enough to see Maria's face just given their natural give. As he worked to part them though their size actually proved an obstacle in his efforts. This was hardly troubling to him though as he felt Maria's softness even as his fingers moved through her fur. As if fondling the breast of a woman wearing a fine bra.

Even as Joseph was working her breast Maria was struggling. This wasn't something she had practiced before and while she kept herself fit she wouldn't have defined her body as finely trained. “Mm dang. I bet Mina would have a lot easier time of this.” Even as she was speaking Maria found herself shifting her upper body in an attempt to keep Joseph from parting her breast. Her chest muscles were far stronger then Joseph's entire body but the natural give of her breast meant she had to exert far more force then he did to keep his hands from parting them. The fact that he had a significant mechanical advantage due to using his arms wasn't helping the situation either.

Setting in Maria's hand was actually proving to be a problem for Joseph. She wasn't really giving him the anchorage he needed to really push her breast apart. What he would have liked to do is get his head and back against one of her breast and push with his hands on the other. The fact that she was squirming and even groaning with effort told him that she wasn't having an easy time though. “It looks like you're not big enough to keep me from peeking between your breast at least. Come on now. Hey keep that hand still!” Joseph had been certain he was about to part Maria's breast whenever her hand had dropped a few centimeters. This had cost him his grip and nearly lost his progress.

“Oh sure. Next time maybe I'll make you climb up here and try this.” Even as she was speaking Maria was trying to focus. She had considered using her tail to aid her pectoral muscles but felt that wouldn't be sporting. Joseph's heart rate had sped up and the feeling of his penis pushing against his pants bumping into her body was enough to keep her from putting too much in his way. He was really enjoying himself and she was as well. Keeping her muscles flexed was actually becoming painful though and she worried that she would have to relax before long. If Joseph's shoulders or arms didn't give out.

“I see you.” It had happened in an instant. Joseph had managed to work his fingers just a little higher and pushed outward. Maria's breast had parted slightly and he could see up towards her face though only a very small portion of it. He couldn't help but chuckle whenever Maria relaxed her muscles and moved him out from her body only to begin lifting him higher so that it would be easier for them to look at each other's face. As his head moved past her breast Joseph actually had trouble looking up at her face especially whenever he felt the tip of his penis brush with Maria's pert right nipple. Immediately he believed she had done that on purpose especially whenever he saw the grin on her face.

“Enjoy it while you can. If things work out with the glyph you may not be able to do that so easily. I was kind of hoping you wouldn't be able to though.”

“How come?”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she began to carry Joseph towards their room. “Mina told me how she likes to trap Dan's hand between her breast at times by flexing her muscles. It sounded like a lot of fun. Well there is plenty of other things we can do for fun.” As she spoke Maria was brought Joseph forward and leaned him against her body so that a good portion of his rested against her chest. The fact that he gave a slight thrust against her chest the moment he touched it served as a good sign of how excited he was even if he was becoming more skillful at retaining his composure. With Joseph leaned against her Maria began to use the hand that wrested against his back to pluck at his clothing.

The walk to their room wasn't a long one especially whenever Maria was the one taking the walk. The fact that his shirt hadn't been removed by the time they reached the bed told Joseph that Maria was walking very slowly. He was curious whenever Maria didn't lay him on the bed but proceeded to turn around and set down atop it. The fact that he could hear the mattress protest her weight reminded him of something. “What are you going to do when you're too large for such comforts?

“I'll just become your bed of course. Well that and your pillow.” I'm sure you could wrest quite comfortably on these.” As she spoke Maria pushed up against the underside of her breasts. This served to not only bring them closer to Joseph but even cause his penis to press more firmly into her flesh. She felt his body shiver and heard it in his breath.

“What about you though?”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she lifted Joseph closer to her face and pressed her lips against his for a moment. His lips were entirely engulfed by her own and Maria could even feel them just beginning to tickle Joseph's nose. How much larger would she have to be to no longer feel her hunger?  Would her lips cover his entire face at that point or more? As these thoughts ran through Maria's mind she felt herself becoming wetter much to her surprise. The thought of engulfing Joseph's entire body being able to shield him from harm excited her. “You seem to forget that I spent a lot of time living in the forest. A soft bed isn't really needed when your body is as strong and flexible as mine.”

“I. I guess that makes sense.” With the kiss ended Joseph found himself looking up into Maria's eyes. He was still a bit beneath her eye level. This prompted him to reach up and place a hand on either side of her face. Maria shifted her head to the right and pressed her cheek more firmly into his right hand for a moment while he felt of her face. At her current size the time he spent eye level with her was actually rather limited. With the size she had put on he couldn't even attend to her vagina and breast at the same time. He had began to spend more time playing with her thighs and stomach during their final moments of sex. Typically this left Maria using her own hands to stimulate her breast and using her tail to tease him. It worked but it wasn't the same experience as when they had first laid together as mates.

“Are you beginning to worry about how much larger your tests are going to make me.”

“Of course! Depending on how much you grow that will indicate how much the others are going to grow as well. You've already had to in large you living area and sacrifice more of the forest. If you were all to become matron size or larger it would be a logistics nightmare!” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph before he leaned forward and gave Maria another kiss. “That said I've come to really enjoy exploring your body. Each time you grow larger there is even more detail for me to explore. If you become too big though I might have to end up taking it one part at a time.”

Now it was Maria's turn to chuckle. “Oh? So what are you imagining? Perhaps you'd like to spend the entire day exploring my breast?

“Some mountain climbing could be fun.”

“Mountain huh? Wow you must really be thinking of me at a large size. Even Zarena only has large hills at the most.” As she spoke Maria lowered Joseph away from her face so that his eye level was slightly above her nipple level. Given their size difference and the obstructions on her chest this meant there was no way for Joseph to reach her face. Her cheeks actually seemed to miss his touch but her right breast welcomed it as he placed a hand on either side of her breasts and gave it a slight squeeze. She could see the muscles tense in his back and his arm as he pushed in on her breast and then relaxed. “Mm if I was that big you'd have to do some cave exploring as well.”

“Where would you live?”

“I imagine I'd have to do like Zarena and begin working on making myself a home on the shore. Oh wow if I was that large though can you imagine how far off I would have to live? I could cause title waves just by dropping my tits into the ocean. Mm that would be inconvenient.”

“So maybe a little too big?”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she nodded her head. “Yeah. I would love to become that powerful. I could protect you from so much then and it would be wonderful having you spend hours exploring my body but it just wouldn't be practical. Well unless I could adapt so that I could control my size. Wouldn't that be a wonderful adaptation to have Joseph? I would gladly trade in my speed to be able to sleep and then recover from my body's reduction in size fifty or so times faster.” As she was speaking Maria still held Joseph close to her body lightly swaying so that her breast bounced in his hand. The fact that he seemed to be trying to hold her breast steady made it into a fun game.

“Well that would make attempting for further mutations much easier. I imagine you'd prefer to be able to shrink and grow in size far more though.”

“Of course. I could enjoy dining in a nice kitchen with you, grow to matron size to travel through the forest and then when I had you away from the forest put a sleeper to shame so we could have some fun.” A slight giggle escaped Maria as she suddenly brought Joseph forward and pressed him more firmly against her chest sinking his head deep between her breast as she did so. “I would give you a true valley of cleavage to explore and let you glide on my breath alone.”

“Then soak me in your mouth?”

“Maybe.”  Maria gave a sigh as Joseph began to kiss her breast. She felt his hands press against her sides and travel upward as he did so. They didn't reach as far as they used to though. With her hands busy holding Joseph Maria brought her tail up and lightly drug the tip along his back. The soft fur of her tail tickling him as it went. She noticed him shiver but he didn't stop his kisses even as her tail came around to his front and began to move down over his stomach. His belly had long sense vanished and what was left was far more solid. “I guess at that size we still couldn't tongue wrestle anymore. You could go tongue riding though.”

Maria could no longer fit her tongue within his mouth without nearly breaking his jaw and Joseph's tongue couldn't extend far enough into her mouth. It was one of the things that had upset Maria about her growing size as they lost out on a bit of their play. As Joseph imagined a Maria so large that her breast would qualify as mountains he imagined being tossed about inside of her mouth. “If you ever do that I expect you to make sure your mouth is clean.”

“Naturally!” For a moment Maria moved Joseph away from her body as she once again lifted him higher. As she did so she brought him towards her face as if for a kiss but instead extended her tongue and pressed it solidly against the front of his face. He gave a surprised jerk but couldn't pull away as she drew her tongue over his chin and mouth. The feeling of his nose being pressed into her tongue came a moment later and caused Maria to swirl her tongue a bit insuring Joseph got a whiff before she drew it over his forehead. As she pulled him back Maria wasn't surprised to see Joseph looking a bit shocked. “I always make sure to keep myself nice and clean for you.”

“What was that?”

“My tongue silly.” For a moment Maria said nothing but the look Joseph gave her told her he wanted more details. That was the idea naturally. “It's something that Dan made for Mina. It perfumes even the saliva within our mouth. You might call it a breath meant for sisters only.”

“Oh?” Before questioning more Joseph leaned forward and pressed his tongue against Maria's face. Her entire body seemed to stiffen as he gave her a little lick. Unfortunately his comparatively tiny tongue couldn't even begin to cover as much of her face as hers did his especially with the way she was holding him. “Why is that?”

“It would take off a few layers of the inside of your mouth.” For a moment Maria considered mentioning to Joseph what she tended to eat and what was required to break that down. The words barely surfaced in her mind as she realized what a mood killer that would be. She knew Joseph wouldn't like hearing her talk about biting into a nice juicy raw tusker. This thought did make her giggle though. She would have to tell Joseph after she was done having her fun. Until then she brought him forward and gave him another kiss. As she pulled him back Maria brought her left hand higher to offer Joseph more support. “Try to stand up.”

Nodding his head Joseph placed his hands on Maria's shoulders. Fortunately when he tried to lift himself up her hand helped him by taking a good deal of his weight. This was extremely important when he began to lift his right leg and his balance began to fail him. The fact that her tail soon came to aid him caught his attention for a moment. “You're good with that tail.”

“It helps to have an extra limb of sorts.” With both of Joseph's feet in her hand Maria had to be careful to keep her arm steady. Her left hand left him though her tail remained with Joseph as she reached down and unbuttoned his pants. “Now lets loosen you up a bit.” As she was drawing Joseph's pants down his legs Maria brushed her fingers over his penis. Her right hand quickly moved to compensate for his motions as he pushed his penis against her fingers for a moment upsetting his balance. “How are the new clothes?”

“Honestly they're still pretty hit or miss.”

“Why am I not surprised? I don't believe those two will ever truly master what's comfortable for humans. Well unless Kiara has her way.” As she  finished speaking Maria brought Joseph forward and gave him a kiss on either side of his body. With each kiss Maria lightly ran her teeth against Joseph's body taking the tiniest bit of skin. Not enough to hurt but enough to give her a better taste of him then licking alone would have. “Yummy.”

“What does she want?” As Joseph spoke he wasn't sure if he was asking about Kiara or Maria. From his current position he was actually looking down into her eyes. His hands had taken hold of her tail to help him balance himself while he waited for Maria to finish removing his pants. As they came to wrest in her palm he was amazed by how steady Maria's hand was whenever he lifted his right leg.

“There is a claimed who's been mending and making clothes for other claimed. She noticed that his clothing was superior to what the sisters make in terms of comfort and durability. Now she wants and a few others want to have him begin working on just making clothes as Tera and Nora just don't seem to be able to get it. Oh you should have seen the look on their faces!” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she placed Joseph's clothes to the side she then took hold of his underwear and began to carefully pull them down his legs. “Well hello there it's nice to see you again.” Puckering her lips Maria lightly blew across Joseph's penis.

As he looking down Joseph couldn't help but compare his penis to Maria's mouth. Put simply her mouth and entire body made his penis look positively tiny. Fortunately he had got some tips from Dan on how to handle a sister whenever she reached the four meter mark. First observe. No matter how small you might feel when with such a large being if she enjoys what you're doing keep it up. Secondly don't be afraid to get aggressive. Dan apparently followed a routine of first tending to Mina orally then making use of his fist to get her off.

Chapter 40 by happiest_in_shadows

Instead of taking Joseph's penis into her mouth Maria found herself extending her tongue and beginning to wrap it around his shaft. As she did so she quickly ran into a problem. Her thicker tongue was as dexterous as it ever was relative to her body. It wasn't nearly as dexterous compared to Joseph though and she found her efforts hindered by the width of her own tongue. This actually startled her a bit and she quickly withdrew her tongue back into her mouth. “Well darn!” Instead of waiting for Joseph to ask what she meant Maria once again extended her tongue but instead of trying to wrap it around Joseph's penis she began to playful flick the tip of his penis about using her tongue. This brought a moan from him though it wasn't quite what she wanted.

With Maria holding him there was little that Joseph could do  This was actually proving a problem as he worried about what Maria would want from him. He had been teasing her ears with his hands drawing his fingers along their edges. Maria's ears twitched about and he knew she enjoyed this but wouldn't be anywhere near enough to get her off. “What is it Maria?”

“This fat tongue of mine can't wrap a penis properly anymore.” Despite the situation Maria gave a frustrated snort. She began to lower Joseph whenever she felt him pull on her ears lightly as if trying to get her to stand up. They had been together long enough for her to know this meant he wanted lowered.  It also expressed a stronger desire then simple words as she knew she tended to ignore those.”Yes?”

“How about you let me tend to you a bit? You're sort of making it impossible for me to do much up here.”

“Ah what do you mean! Your toes have been teasing my tits for a while now.” Maria gave an amused giggle as she noted the stunned look on Joseph's face. “I'm just kidding. I guess I am making it a bit difficult on you. Still I want to try this.” As she Spoke Maria wrapped her tail around Joseph's waist and began to lower him down her body holding him firmly against him as she did so. As his penis came between her breast she flexed her abdominal muscles and once again forced her breast together. A low moan escaped him and she was a bit surprised whenever she felt his toes press against her sides while his hands pressed her breast together.

As he pressed Maria's breast together Joseph found himself firmly messaging those massive mounds of flesh. Remembering what Dan had told him and his own experience he began to apply far more pressure then he normally would have. Maria seemed to enjoy this as he enjoyed the feeling of her breast shifting against his penis. In his current position though there was little he could do with his mouth except for talk to her. “So how much larger do you think you'll have to be before that's all of me between there?”

“Mm that sounds like a ways off. We'll probably have to settle for your abdomen for a while.”

“You are going to grow more you know. With the improvements you've been showing from training with the glyph it won't be long before you begin growing again or have to cut back on what you're eating.”

“What do you want me to do?”

As she spoke there was a low moan in Maria's voice that made Joseph want to wrap his arms around her and pull her massive body against his own with all his might. Given that wrapping his arms completely around Maria would mean breaking them and shredding them to pieces though he settled for continuing to work on her breast. “I want you to continue to eat what your rank allows you to eat. I'd like to reduce your hunger after all.” Joseph truly wanted to kiss Maria. Any part of Maria at the moment. With the way she was working his penis though and holding him that wasn't truly an option. At least it wasn't until he felt her right hand running along his side. His hand left her breast for a moment and he took hold of her hand lifting it to his mouth for a kiss.

“What about the burden on the community.”

“The life bloom helped to lighten that.”

To this Maria gave a nod. Even with their additional size they hadn't pushed the life bloom to its limit. There was still the danger that they would learn some horrible truth about the bloom that would force them to give it up. “That's true.” As she spoke Maria lowered Joseph further. She could feel herself growing wetter as they talked and fondled one another. She had also felt his penis pulsing several times while wrapped within her cleavage and knew he was about to release. She wanted to make sure that was within her though. If they were ever going to have a child they needed to have as many attempts as possible. A gasp of relief actually escaped Joseph the moment she freed his penis and Maria was made to chuckle. “Joseph would you like to have a child?”

That was typically the type of question Joseph would have liked to have a lot of time to think and talk about. Fortunately he had already had plenty of time to think about it. “I believe that I would.”

“Good. Mm what are we going to do if we have a son?”

“What do you mean?” As he had been speaking Joseph had been lowered so that he was now eye level with Maria's nipples. The fact that she had remained standing the entire time hadn't truly set in on him but he did realize what she was talking about whenever he saw her nipples. In response Joseph took Maria's nipples in his hands and began to gently work them while looking up at her smiling face. “Are you thinking that I might have to start milking you?”

“They may be too large for a human child to suckle you know if I grow even more.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he looked at Maria's nipples poking through her fur now. At her current size Joseph wasn't quite an infant to Maria. If she were to put on another meter or two he most assuredly would be though. Even now her nipples were quite large. “I can see that being necessary. I suppose that I would have to.”

Maria gave a gasp whenever Joseph took her nipple into his mouth and began to lightly suck on it. His left arm remained extended so that his hand could stimulate her nipple and his right now pressed into her breast. As Joseph squeezed her breasts Maria ran her left hand along his spine and around the back of his neck. A chuckle escaped her whenever she noticed how Joseph's hair felt. “We've been so caught up in our work that I didn't notice you need a trim.”

Instead of letting up on Maria's nipple Joseph extended his legs and pressed his feet against Maria's stomach. His toes weren't nearly as sensitive or as dexterous as his fingers he but still tried his best to trace the outline of her abdominal muscles. A task that had been quite simple even before she had grown. Would she actually end up so large though that he couldn't work her breasts and stomach at the same time even using this method?

Now Maria found herself unable to use her mouth to play with Joseph. Her tail was busy holding him and her feet were occupied as she continued to stand. The feeling of supporting Joseph's entire weight while he explored her body was giving Maria a rush though. At least she still had her hands. Reaching down Maria pressed up on Joseph's balls. She could feel his response in the way he was sucking on her nipple and messaging her breast. Pressing her thumb against his balls she began to lightly move them about between her fingers. Her fingers constantly teased his penis as she smiled down at him. “I love you Joseph. No need to stop.” As she spoke Maria pressed her left hand against the back of Joseph's head to keep it from pulling away from her breast.

“I enjoy being able to hold you like this. I know that as I grow I'm going to lose certain things. Yet when I think of what I'm gaining I feel such a rush. I want to know that I could stop anything from harming you or this forest. I guess I'm a long ways off from that but it's a nice goal to strive for. I'm sure we'll find other fun things to do as well.” It seemed Joseph was getting better at using his feet as she spoke to him. Maria could feel his toes pressing into her stomach with a a confident pressure now.  The feeling of them teasing the top of her crotch was sending shivers up her spine as well. Joseph was learning to improvise. “I wonder what we'll come up with if I do end up growing to matron size. You'll need to tackle one little bit of me at a time.”

Finally Joseph released his lip lock on Maria's nipple as she removed her hand from the back of his head. Instead of letting her breast go he pressed his face between them and reached out to either side of himself. As he embraced Maria's breast he pulled them together to better swallow up his head. It actually seemed like Maria could smother him by doing this for a moment if she were to restrain his arms and press them together. As he held this position Joseph began to kiss between Maria's breast pressing his lips against both of them at the same time. Her moan shook his entire body and he could swear that he felt it through her chest. As he relaxed his hold he looked up at her smiling face from between her chest. “Be careful when you nibble me at that size. At times you take a little more then I believe you realize?”

“Do I? I wonder.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she lowered Joseph further down her body. Instead of pulling him away from herself she held him closer that she could feel his smaller body gliding over her own. The feeling of his penis pressing against her stomach as it came closer to her vagina made her all the hotter. It was a heat that radiate from her vagina and seemed to infuse her entire body. Maria's top teeth came down on her bottom lip lightly sending a bit of pain from her head down to the wrest of her body to help counter the pleasure that was threatening to overcome her. She wanted to hold out a while longer. Joseph had pressed his hands into her side and was tracing the contour of her muscles as she lowered him while his feet pressed into her thighs. “I wonder what we'll do if I do become that large. I believe I'd enjoy having you climb me.”

“We can do that now.”

“Oh I know but I'm a little too small to give you a real challenge at the moment.”

The fact that Maria had defined herself as small made Joseph chuckle as he looked up at the underside of her breast then between them to her smiling face. “Do you think you could hold me up with just your chest?”

“OH that is a fun idea! I'm not sure if I could keep you from slipping from them but it'd be a lot of fun trying!” As she spoke Maria finally lowered Joseph so that his head was below the level of her breast. It felt like her lips were trying to take hold of his penis now that it was so close. A sharp gasp escaped her though whenever she felt Joseph press three of his fingers firmly against her lips and within her. Maria's body locked up while he smiled up at her. Joseph's normally methodical methods had left her unprepared for this and a loud moan escaped her as pushed his fingers into her all the deeper and spread them against her flesh. Instinctively Maria tightened her vagina on his hand forcing his fingers back together even as she began to pant.

He would have to thank Dan for the advice later. There was no way that Joseph could hope to match Maria's endurance. He didn't even know if he could get her off before cumming himself if he relied only on his penis. It was clear that she wasn't going to allow him to use any oral techniques though as she continued to hold him a lot. As he began to pump his fingers into her vagina Joseph reached up above his head and took hold of the nipple of her left breast. His middle and index finger came to wrest on either side of her nipple while his thumb pressed firmly against her nipple and began to rotate it. As he did this he brought himself forward and pressed his lips firmly against Maria's abdomen.

The force and speed with which Joseph had began to pump his fingers into her vagina had caught Maria off guard. Pleasure fogged her mind and for a moment she lost track of what she was doing as the heat from your crotch radiated out through her body. Her right hand wrapped around Joseph's penis completely engulfing it while her left reached behind him and pressed against his rear. “That feels so good!”

Was it Maria's tail that pulled him forward or had she pushed her crotch forward? Joseph didn't know but in an instant her vagina had swallowed up his entire hand. The fact that her vagina seemed to take hold of his hand and try to pull it further within was what caught him off guard. It's succeed was what truly surprised him as for a moment he couldn't begin to move his hand. He could feel her body trembling now and could only hope that if she was to fall she wouldn't fall on top of him. Despite her shivering body though she seemed to be holding her ground. As her vagina relaxed its hold on his arm instead of pulling it out Joseph pushed it even further within her. This seemed to be a good move as he heard a sharp gasp from Maria.

Maria's left hand didn't dare leave Joseph's rear. She wanted to give him as much leverage as possible as he continued to pump his arm within her vagina. Her left hand had began to anticipate Joseph's movements to an extent and tried to move with him to give him an advantage. Her right hand had left his penis as it pressed firmly into her body and moved to take hold of his left side both stabilizing and allowing her to feel his muscles working. “Oh that's it Joseph! Wow!”

Don't be afraid to be aggressive. As Joseph considered these words he opted to take a risk. His hand closed and he gripped his fingers against Maria's vaginal flesh as he drew his hand out. A loud moan slammed into her ears and her vagina locked his hand in place. He could feel her muscles tensing around his hand holding it with a firmness that he knew would have left his penis screaming in pain. A sudden rush of fluids flowed over his arm and soaked his lower body as he drew his arm out. At the same moment he could hear Maria panting and couldn't help but grin up at her as he removed his lips from her abdomen for a moment.  There wasn't time to talk though as Maria once again lowered him down her body. The feeling of his penis brushing against her lower lips told him to prepare himself. It felt like they'd pull his penis in much as they had done his arm.

Maria didn't push Joseph in immediately. Rather she lowered and raised him so that she could feel the tip of his penis brushing against her labia. She had to pull her hand back for a moment as he thrust forward then brought him in close again. This manipulation was clumsy as she felt his penis move about but that only added to the fun for her. As she began to insert Joseph's penis past her lips she felt her vagina tighten up around it. “I don't believe she wants to let you go now.”

“It's a good thing I don't want her to let me go then.” As he spoke Joseph leaned his head against Maria's body and lowered his hand from her breast. Reaching out on both sides of him he secured his grip against Maria's body as firmly as he could. As he firmed up his grip he was about to thrust into her whenever her hand pushed him forward thrusting him completely within her vagina. His grip grew all the tighter and he pressed his lips firmly into Maria's abdomen. There was no pulling back from this as Maria controlled his position. He didn't have to worry about that as she pulled her hand back and him with it. The feeling of her vagina tightening up around his penis as he was drew out made him shiver and he remembered the force with which she had gripped his hand. He hoped she wouldn't squeeze his penis that hard.

As Maria drew her hand back she placed her left behind Joseph's back to give him more support. This time when she pulled him into her body she was quicker with the withdraw. As much as she enjoyed feeling his arm within her there was a psychological aspect of having his penis within her that brought her pleasure even hire. Would this be the time she conceived a child? Maria doubted it but she quickly thrust Joseph back within herself. “If I start moving too fast be sure to tell me.” The feeling of Joseph's lips pressing into her stomach as she pumped him in and out of herself only seemed to make the heat radiating out into her body all the more intense.

He was going for a ride. As Maria pumped him into herself Joseph knew that all he could do at this point was hold on. His legs had limited use and his arms were holding onto Maria for all they were worth. As he pressed his head into her though he could hear her heart beating and her breath. The sound of Maria's excited heart beating was nothing like that of a humans. The rate at which the muscle worked would have put a humming bird to shame and he doubted any natural creature's heart beat with the same power. As she was pumping him into herself he could swear he felt the vibrations of that heart. Even as Joseph found himself astounded by Maria's body as usual he found himself fighting to hold out.

“I love you Joseph! I love feeling your body against mine and within it! I love that you want there to be more of me and you're prepared for the changes that will come with that! I love your sent and I love the way you're always watching out for me! I hate it whenever we part but I love knowing that we're going to meet again!” As she spoke Maria was pumping Joseph in and out of herself all the more quickly. Even if she couldn't kiss him due to their size difference she could speak to him. She could give voice to the thoughts that were racing through her head.

“I love you to Maria.” Unlike Maria Joseph's body wasn't able to handle the strain as well thus he couldn't speak as well. The fact that he was being moved back and forth quite rapidly was also a problem. If it wasn't for Maria's left hand keeping him stable and his own grip he doubted he'd be taking the ride so well. “I love your playful nature. Whenever you tease me or try to get past me. I love how you watch out for me and I love this wonderful powerful body of yours.”

Maria wanted to feel Joseph's hands against her chest as she thrust him into herself. In her current position and given their size difference that would have been too difficult for him. She wanted to use her own for a substitute but they were busy. It was frustrating but at the same time that frustration seemed to cause her pleasure to build to a greater intensity. Rather then just relying on her hands to push Joseph into herself Maria soon found herself thrusting against her own pushes to take him into herself all the more quickly.

It actually surprised Joseph whenever he felt Maria's body tense up and began to shiver. Typically his final moments was a desperate struggle to avoid cumming too soon. As he felt Maria's body responding though he allowed his own to respond. Feeling himself suddenly falling forward was still quite a surprise as Maria fell back onto their bed. The resulting thump was enough to make him very glad that he wasn't underneath her as he listened to her breathing. The fact that this only lasted for a few seconds while he still felt his heart racing reminded him again why it was important to get Maria off at least once before he released. “One of these days I'm going to truly exhaust you.”

Maria couldn't help but grin as she placed her hands on Joseph's back. “You're doing better these days. A lot of the time I'm desperately trying to get myself off before you give out.”

“Are you serious?” As he spoke Joseph found the strength to raise himself up a bit. As he did so he was surprised by how wobbly his arms felt. Apparently he had been holding onto Maria far more tightly then he had realized.

“Well yeah. How could I not notice how hard you try to hold out for me?” As she spoke Maria took hold of Joseph's sides and lifted him off her body being careful not to make the distance too great. It surprised even her how natural it felt whenever she brought him forward and began to settle him so that his upper body wrested against her breast. “That feels nice. Joseph I know that you always try to bring me to release at least once. You then try to hold out until the second and even the third time.”

“I guess we both have to look out for one another. I know it must be frustrating to always be so careful about your strength and claws when we're together.”

“I don't know. I have to be more careful these days but I've never been able to truly let myself go.” Instead of continuing Maria gave her shoulders a dismissive shrug. “You on the other hand. I know being with me has to be a different experience then being with another human. I'm larger. I'm fluffier. I also put a lot more demand on you then they do.” It surprised Maria whenever Joseph gave a sharp snort. “What was that?”

“I don't know about that last part. Especially considering some of the women I've met in the past.”

“Oh!” It was impossible for Maria not to grin as she placed her right hand against Joseph's back to make sure he couldn't get up. “Care to give me some details?”

“I'd rather not.”

“Oh come on! In what ways is a human woman more demanding then me?”

“Well for one thing they don't give as clear of signals in many cases. I have to admit that part of me likes being the one hunted in this situations rather then the hunter.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she nodded her head. “Well I can see how that would be an advantage.”

“Plus I don't remember you ever using sex as a weapon or bait. Well except for when you're using sex because you want sex. There was this one woman who thought to use a few alchemical enhancers. Some very expensive materials were needed to make them and she wanted to pay using other means. I had neither the desire or ability to afford her request and she took it very personally.”

“She tried to pay you with sex? Isn't that insulting?” By now Maria could feel that her body had essentially recovered. As she listened to Joseph's heart and breath while taking in his scent she knew that he hadn't. This wasn't due to having sex with her though. His body was already showing signs of fatigue before that. He was still working quite intensively on something. Since he had began working at the citadel though it was hard for her to keep track of everything that he was doing. She knew that he had taken the information he gathered from his work with the glyph and was working on refining it but was he truly putting that much work into it?

“Why would it be insulting?” Joseph had to take a moment to adjust his position. As much as he liked wresting his head against Maria's chest he also wanted to be able to look at her face. The moment he did he could swear that nothing had happened. Her breathing had returned to normal and she was showing no signs of fatigue. Just a few minutes of laying down and any indicator that they'd just made love was gone. The notion of exhausting her was seeming even more unlikely as he considered what it would take.

“Well isn't it like she's saying that you're so desperate for sex that you'd be willing to give her such a valuable item? You said you couldn't afford to do that after all. That or maybe she just had such a high opinion of herself that she considered it worth it.”

“From how angry she became I believe it's the second.” Something about his words must have struck Maria as funny as he felt her chest shaking lightly. After a moment of consideration Joseph found himself raising up and pulling his entire upper body atop Maria's chest. The feeling of her right nipple poking into his chest was yet another reminder of how quickly she recovered. He had no doubt that she was prepared to go again. Unfortunately his arms were just beginning to let him know how much stress he had put on them while holding onto her. His right arm also seemed to be telling him how hard it had been worked inside of her vagina.

For a moment Maria said nothing as Joseph settled atop her right breast as if it was a medium sized pillow. After a moment of looking at him her mouth broken into a toothy grin. “I kind of wish that was all of you wresting right there.”

“Mm your breast aren't that big.”

“Oh I know. I just thought it'd be neat if you could lay your entire body atop one of my breasts. I could cover you up with my hand give you a nice comfy bed to sleep on.”

“Just don't poke me with your nipple too hard.”

“Ah well. I'm sure if I was that big we'd find away around that issue. Then again perhaps you'd be using my nipple as a pillow instead.”

“How long until you wish that I could use your dimples for a pillow?”

“Oh I don't know about that one! I'd need a way to make sure you were safe and comfortable atop my titty and wouldn't fall off. Joseph I hope you don't mind me asking but what have you been working on? I know you helped with the distrusted but you're still showing signs of stress even with your glyph working out.”

It was a relief when Joseph knew he could answer Maria's question honestly. “I've been using the information gathered from you and Flora as well as the sisters that were killed and processed to design a more refined glyph. The second glyph isn't to replace the first one but it should aid you in directing energy into your body. Now that I have an idea of where to begin.”

“Ah! You mean that the next group of testing subjects won't have to suffer like I did?” As she spoke Maria gave a slight pout.

Was Maria seriously upset that the other sisters wouldn't have to suffer like she had? As Joseph looked at her face he was certain she wasn't. There was too much of a smile in that pout and it was too cute. She was just being fussy. “Unfortunately that's not what I meant. The first glyph is to get you going down the right path. Once you learn how to resist its influence though it's time to move on and begin really practicing with the other half. I'm a little worried about this one though as there is a very good reason for using a glyph of draining.”

“You don't want to trigger growth and in doing so make us dependent on the glyph.” By now Maria was no longer pouting and had relaxed again. Her right hand had also found Joseph's rear and was currently working on squeezing it while he was holding on to her breast. She doubted he realized it but his penis was hardening again. Hopefully she could have one more session before he was ready for sleep.

“That's exactly the problem. I've also been considering different techniques to improve your conditioning as well. Well that and working on designing a much larger glyph.”

“For teaching the matrons?”

“That's one of the reasons.”

“Huh? What's the other reason?”

Now it was Joseph's turn to grin. He could see that Maria was concerned with what he had in mind. “Well the glyph you're currently using doesn't allow for much movement. I'm hoping that I can make a larger glyph to give you more room for movement and allow other activities. I mentioned it to Vera and she even said she'd like to resume your training. Unfortunately it's not as easy as it sounds. Whenever you make a glyph larger you make the lines longer or thicker and that does influence the magic.”

“You have to be kidding me! She would have to be inside the glyph as well. How does she expect to continue teaching me to fight whenever we're having the energy drained out of us?” As Maria spoke she was truly concerned now. She had no doubt that Vera would at least try to continue her lessons if Joseph succeeded.

“Actually she seemed to believe that was a wonderful environment to continue your lessons in combat. She said that knowing how to battle in such a hostile environment could easily save your life eventually and should make fighting in the forest feel much easier. I mentioned that she would be under the glyph's influence as well but that only seemed to make her more eager. She said something about always being a bit fearful that she'd encounter a mage that had somehow found a weakness if your bodies and being upset that she hadn't been able to prepare for it before.”

Maria tried to hold it in but she couldn't help but groan. “So you're really working on this large scale glyph and not just messing with me?” Even as she was speaking Maria was certain Joseph was telling the truth. The tone of his voice and his body response indicated he wasn't joking. Unfortunately he didn't seem to be stressed enough about the questions for her to be certain. Joseph had become comfortable enough when joking with her that he didn't give the tells of lying so long as the joke flowed smoothly.

“I'm very serious Maria. Besides this way you'll be able to teach several sisters at once and even move around rather then having them each within their own glyph.”

“Who said anything about me teaching?”

“Maria. We talked about this earlier. That's part of the cost of being one of the first test subjects. I'm sure that Flora is going to be there to help you given that she was the second.” As he spoke Joseph gave the side of Maria's right breast a few quick pats. The feeling of the vibrations going through her breast and the pout Maria was giving him made it nearly impossible for him to keep from laughing. He knew that Maria wasn't looking forward to teaching but with first hand experience she would be a far better teacher then what he was.

***********************************************************************************

“Good grief you're a heavy girl!” As he spoke Dan was astounded by how heavy Dremera was. Currently the young girl had her arms wrapped around his neck and her head wresting on his shoulder. Her legs were also wrapped around him while he had his arms under her supporting most of her weight.  It was his first time packing Dremera and her purrs were shaking his entire body. It truly seemed they were making it more difficult to walk as he looked up at Mina. “I told you that she wouldn't hurt me.”

Mina was glad that her daughter hadn't taken a chunk out of Dan yet or sunk her claws into him but she was still keeping a close eye on them. Apparently Flora had mentioned to him that sisters learn rather quickly. After all the time they'd spent sleeping with Mina between them and other moments she was confident Dremera had gotten the message. No claws, teeth or hard squeezes on daddy. So far it seemed like she was right. To be certain though Mina had Dan drink a potion of iron skin before she'd let him carry their daughter. She didn't know if it would keep him from harm but she was certain it would buy her the time needed to separate them if the situation became dangerous. “I guess but she still shreds her toys so quickly!”

“Well yeah but no one has tried to teach her to be gentle with her toys. Isn't that right my big girl?” A delighted squeal escaped Dremera that surprised even Dan as he looked at his daughter. Apparently she had learned whenever her father was talking to her. To have him packing her as well really seemed to hit her happy button.”I guess you like it more then I thought you would! Oh but dang. Daddy isn't certain how long he's going to be able to keep this up before his arms and legs give out.”

For a moment Mina felt her fur stand up. She could still remember what had happened whenever they tried to get Dan's clothes away from Dremera. Hopefully she wouldn't do her father the same. Just to be certain though Mina found herself feeling of her side and noting the small satchel was still there. She had also required Dan to prepare three very powerful healing potions in the event that Dremera did get her claws or teeth into him. She felt herself relax a little bit whenever her hand told her the bottles were still there. “Now are you sure this is where we should be going?”

“I believe this is just what she needs. You know I would grab that tail of yours if my arms weren't occupied.” As he spoke Dan had noticed Dremera's tail flicking about. Several times he had worried she might take his legs out from  under him but she seemed to know not to smack him in the legs with it. “I swear Mina I feel like our daughter's purring is going to shake me to bits.”

“Well this is just about the hardest I can remember her purring.” As she spoke Mina couldn't resist reaching down and gently rubbing her daughter atop her head. She was a bit surprised whenever she heard Dan grunt. “Dan are you alright?”

“Yeah she just shifted her weight whenever she pushed up against your finger. Don't give her something to push up against please.” As he spoke Dan tried not to show how relieved he was whenever Mina removed her finger from Dremera's head. For a moment there he thought he would be going to the ground. “I'm glad you didn't allow me to become soft whenever I began working in the alchemy shop. I'd probably be laying on the ground by now.” At least now Dan could see their destination as he noted the door leading into Joseph's laboratory.

“I'm a bit surprised you haven't collapsed already.” As she spoke Mina moved ahead and opened the door for Dan. She didn't want to risk him stopping for fear that he might not be able to get moving again. He seemed to actually speed up once the door was open.

“Hey people!” As Dan spoke he looked around and noted Maria and Flora. Ridon and Joseph were a short distance away and Mira was there. We come visiting again.”

Immediately Maria set up. She had to resist the urge to run out of the circle and over to Dan as she noted him packing Dremera. “Oh my! You're already packing her around?”

“Already! No! If I don't do this now then it's never going to happen. My arms feel like they're about to come off.” As he spoke Dan was walked over to Joseph. “Okay Dremera this is my friend Joseph. I want you to behave yourself. No smacking him with your tail do you understand?” Dan knew there was know true way for Dremera to understand his words. She was still learning though she did seem as if she'd learned to understand the meaning of certain words. This especially held true for any word associated with a meal. He was hopeful that she would be able to understand his tone as he walked over to Joseph.

As Joseph remembered the switching Dremera had given him the last time he was a bit nervous. Considering how focused she was on her father though he doubted she was even aware of him at the moment. “Dan are you sure this is a good idea? She might do you like she did your pants considering what happened last time.”

“Of course I'm sure! Dremera is a good girl and a quick learner. Joseph do me a favor and come stand next to me. I was going to give you a hand shake but there is no way I can let go of Dremera right now and keep from dropping her.”

Flora, “I doubt you have to worry about that with the way she's holding onto you!” A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she noted the young sister and the way she was looking around. “You love your daddy don't you Dremera? You just don't want to let him go.” Flora couldn't help but giggle whenever Dremera gave another delighted squeal. Apparently the young sister was quite happy with all the attention especially considering how much of it was coming from her father.

“I can't believe I'm this nervous around a child.” As he spoke Joseph moved to stand beside and a bit behind Dan. It still took a moment for Dremera to notice him and immediately he noticed her nose curling up and a low hiss was heard from the sister. It surprised even him whenever a look of guilt passed over her face a moment later.

Dan, “No!” While he couldn't use his arms Dan fixed his face in a stern expression and looked strait into his daughter's face. He hadn't shouted but made sure he had given her a hard no. It was an expression he held even whenever Dremera looked back at him seemingly confused. He didn't know what to think whenever her cheeks were made to suddenly puff out. Instead of waiting for a response he moved closer to Joseph. “Okay set your hand on my shoulder.”

What was this person doing putting his hand on her father? As Dremera looked at Joseph and the proximity of his hand she wanted nothing more then to bite him. That or to switch him with her tail. Yet when she looked at her father she felt a deep dread within herself. His sharp word had really hurt her. What would he do if she did bite Joseph? It wasn't a question she wanted answered even as she looked at him and then her father. With nothing else to do she felt tears forming in her eyes and began to cry.

A sigh escaped Dan as he looked at Joseph. “Let's set down so I can use my arms. Come on Dremera. Let's give daddy's arms a break. No. I'm good Mina no need to take her.” As he spoke Dan made his way over to a seat Ridon had already prepared. It felt like his arms sung in relief as he settled into his seat and relaxed his grip. “So Joseph how goes the work? Is my Dremera going to get to live hunger free?”

“I'm not sure but don't you think you should do something about her crying?”

“Absolutely not. Anything I do at this point will just reinforce this behavior. She has to learn that sulking will not get what she wants. Just give her a little bit and she'll settle down. Wont you my fussy lady? Your mommy spoils you too much doesn't she?”  As he spoke Dan placed a hand on Dremera's head and gently rubbed it. He knew that Mina was staring at him after his last comment but he wasn't going to look at her just yet. “Now what do you mean you're not sure.”

“Well Maria and Flora are both showing good results to be honest. I've pretty much stopped feeding Maria extra food from my own supply and she's continued to function just fine.”

Flora, “I didn't know you'd done that.”

Maria, “We did it a little while after you scolded me over being dependent on the extra food Joseph was providing me.”

Flora, “Well I'm glad to here it and quite proud of you.”

Mira, “Yeah wait to go Sis.”

“Ah well thanks but it hasn't been much fun. I always got a naughty little thrill whenever Joseph would feed me extra.”

As the others were speaking it was clear to Mina Dremera was settling down. She still found herself sniffing the air for any signs of blood where Dremera might have gripped Dan too hard. She had learned a while back that he was good at hiding his pain when he felt there was a significant need. She was quite relieved whenever she couldn't see or smell any indicator of damage. She was still rather worried what would happen when Dremera began to roam. It actually surprised Mina whenever Joseph placed his hand on Dremera's back only to receive a sharp hiss.

“Don't worry Joseph keep petting her. This little lady isn't going to smack you as long as I have her.” As he spoke Dan reached behind himself and began to tickle Dremera's right foot. The hiss instantly vanished as she gave a sharp laugh. Her little leg pushed against his hand but she didn't kick. “That's my good girl.”

Maria, “Hey that's not fair!”

Mira had a big grin on her face as she looked at her sister. She had walked over to Dremera and began playing with her as well. Instead of just settling for that she quickly repositioned herself so that she was also blocking Maria's view. The fact that she heard a growl come from behind her made it nearly impossible for Mira to keep from laughing and pretend she couldn't hear Maria. “So you just needed your daddy to behave is that it? I guess chasing Joseph isn't worth it whenever you have your father to give you attention.”

“Woe now.” As Dan spoke he released his hold on Dremera as she released her hold on him. As she began to shift about in his lap he was reminded of her weight. She was being careful but she was still quite young. Fortunately his iron skin potion was holding so even when she placed her little knees on him it didn't truly hurt. A moment later she began to lower herself to the floor. “Are you ready to look around now?”

Joseph, “How in the world did you do that? Whenever I first met her she had a death grip on your pants.”

“Mina told me about that and the other times. Honestly I've never seen her behave like that. So long as I'm in the room she just seems to roam around. Now you should have seen me whenever I first picked her up a little while ago. She was sniffing and licking me most of the time. I swear I thought she was going to rub my skin off for a little while. I guess she gets tired of even me eventually so long as she knows I'm available.”

Flora, “It's quite likely that she held onto the pants because she knew Mina was going to take them away from her. They were something forbidden that reminded her of you so she found them even more amusing.”

Mina, “He makes it sound easier then it is. You should see what happens whenever he leaves the room. It can be such a nightmare whenever he leaves to go work in the laboratories to begin working. She's learned not to use her claws but well I'm glad Dan can slip out of his clothing quickly.”

Flora, “Oh that must make her so sad! For a sister to see her own father running away from her.” As she spoke Flora put a sympathetic tone to her voice as she looked towards Dremera.

Mina, “Oh he doesn't run! Once he slips free after I have a good hold of her he takes a few moments to comfort her. It is a real battle to keep her from taking hold of him again though. My arms and tail are just barely enough to contain her. We make sure that Dremera sees her father leaving and try to make sure she knows he'll be coming back.”

While they were talking Joseph turned his attention to Dremera. He was quite surprised whenever he saw that she wasn't crawling though she was on her hands and feet. Dremera's body was more in a pouncing position then a crawling one. The sound of her claws scraping against the floor and the speed with which she moved about was even more surprising. Rather then crawling she was pouncing around the room and at an extremely rapid rate. The site of the young sister's spine moving fluidly with each jump leading into another reminded him this wasn't the body of a human child. Her muscles and flexibility already allowed a form of movement a human just couldn't perform. “Flora is that how most sisters move around?”

It was impossible for Flora not to grin as she watched Dremera running around exploring the room. She had dashed over to the glyph's edge for a moment only to make a quick retreat to the far wall apparently searching for something. It was likely that she wasn't searching for anything in particular but was searching for something interesting. “Humans learn to crawl on all fours before you walk. In the case of us sisters we tend to learn to run on all fours before we learn to walk. It is one of our fastest forms of locomotion.” A sharp thump immediately drew Flora's attention back to Dremera. What she saw was a young girl covering her head near a wall. She knew what had happened. “Unfortunately learning to stop tends to come after learning to run.”

Joseph, “Ouch.”

Dan, “Mina don't.” As he spoke Dan took hold of Mina's tail. He could tell that she wanted to run over to Dremera to see if her baby was okay. He had watched his daughter play enough to know that she was already. Especially from the way she was rubbing her head. She wasn't rubbing her head because she was in pain. She was rubbing her head because she was embarrassed and frustrated. He released Mina's tail whenever Dremera gave a sharp hiss at the wall and quickly bounced back towards them.

Joseph, “Does that mean she's mad at the wall now.”

The sisters tended to see the brothers as delicate and in need in constant protection. It was an image they were working on removing. For someone as strong as Mina though she saw her own sisters as delicate and in need in protection. So to see her daughter collide with something as solid as a citadel wall it was hard to keep still. She was actually grateful that Dan was there to catch her. “No. The wall didn't take one of her favorite items from her after all. Well help in taking the item away. I wouldn't be surprised if she tried for.” A sharp scraping noise brought a grin to Mina's face that almost split in half. “Revenge.”

Joseph convulsed violently as he tried to keep himself from laughing. Dremera had put some distance between herself and the wall only to get a running charge and claw at the surface. Now she was standing on all fours with her back arched growling at it. The wall didn't seem frightened though and showed no sign of damage. “Okay now is that normal?”

Flora, “Nooo.” As Flora looked at Dremera she didn't know what the young girl was thinking. While a young sister might hiss or growl at a toy growling at a wall was quite a bit stranger. The only time she'd seen Maria or Mira do that was when there was prey or they believed there was prey on the other side of the wall. “Mina do you have any idea what's going on?”

“Perhaps she's upset that she wasn't able to leave any scratch marks in the wall?” As she spoke Mina finally began to walk towards Dremera. “Come on honey quit trying to frighten the wall. You don't want to know what would happen if it ran away.” For a moment Mina just looked at the wall. The way Dremera was bent over in her arms it seemed to suggest there was something there she wanted. After a moment of close inspection and not being able to see anything other then a wall she turned to pack her daughter back to the others. Despite her intentions though she didn't stop Dremera from struggling free after only a few steps. “Well if you want to stand there and be angry with the wall that is your choice.”

Instead of returning to the wall Dremera quickly made her way back over to Dan. The force with which she pushed her body against his leg surprised him as he smiled down at his daughter. “Well climb back up if you want in my lap. That or are you just coming over here for a visit. Just a visit I guess.” Dan had a big smile on his face as Dremera quickly moved over to Joseph. The fact that Joseph appeared a little nervous wasn't surprising. What was surprising was whenever Dremera pushed her side up against Joseph's leg much as she had done him, gave a soft hiss and then dashed over to Mira.

Joseph, “What was that!” Joseph didn't know what to say. When Dremera had first came over to him and began to rub against him he had thought she wanted to play. Before he could do anything though she had hissed and ran back to Mira. Had she forgotten who he was for a moment?

It had worried Maria whenever Dremera had hissed at Joseph. While it would have only taken her an instant to dash over to him she was a bit worried about spending so much time within a glyph of draining. Her legs were never quite the same whenever she first stood up after spending time within the glyph. The fact that upon hissing Dremera had quickly sprinted over to Mira made it even stranger. “Joseph I believe that might be Dremera's way of greeting you now.”

“Well that's confusing. How am I suppose to know when she's angry?”

“Well that might be the point. Maybe she likes making you nervous but knows she's not allowed to attack you?” It was impossible for Maria not to chuckle as she considered the implications. “Mom what do you think?”

“Well it is possible that she likes making him nervous and learned that hissing at him does that. After what happened with Dan and the way she ran over to you I thought she was over her anger.” Even Flora couldn't help but chuckle as she considered what this could mean. “Then again maybe she is over her grudge but during that time she learned it's fun to make you nervous.”

Instead of commenting Joseph found himself walking towards Dremera. “Is that what you're doing Dremera have you learned to enjoy frightening me?” There was no attempt on Joseph's part to be subtle. As he walked over to Dremera he spoke to her to make sure she noticed him. He didn't hide his intentions as he reached down and placed his hand on her head gently rubbing it as he did so. It was also intentional that he used the hand he'd set on Dan's shoulder a short while before. The feeling of Dremera pushing up against his hand with her head and her body vibrating as she purred seemed like good evidence that she'd given up on her grudge.

Flora, “It's kind of annoying isn't it Mina?”

“The fact that Dan was able to convince Dremera to forgive Joseph in a few minutes when I've been trying for several weeks now.”

“Don't think of it like that Mina. You've been laying the ground work this entire time after all. I just added the last few details.” As he spoke Dan finally found himself able to stand up. His legs still felt the affects of packing Dremera for so long but some of his strength had returned. It was enough that he could walk over to her and not worry about falling on his face. “Woe!”

Dremera hadn't meant to bump into her father with quite that much force. As she pushed her body against his legs though excitement took over. She could tell that her father was better wrested then he had been a moment ago. His thumping had calmed down a great deal and he was standing again. Immediately she knew that she'd made a mistake though as she heard him give a slight shout and noticed his position shifting. She felt the shock waves before she saw her mother. Before her father could even begin to fall her mother was behind him supporting him with one hand. Immediately she backed off fearful that she'd been too rough.

“Thanks Mina.” Dan didn't take more then a moment to straiten up. “Careful there young lady your daddy is still on wobbly legs.”

Flora, “I believe she was waiting for you to get up. Perhaps she wants you to pack her around some more.”

“I'm not quite ready for that one yet. Hey Dremera come over here and meet Ridon. He's been quiet this entire time.”

As Dan led Dremera over to him Ridon grinned. “I was fine watching. Besides someone has to keep an eye on Maria and Flora while that bundle of energy has you distracted. Hey there Dremera it's nice to meet you.” As he spoke Ridon bent at his knees bringing himself closer to Dremera's level. “Hm I guess she isn't that interested in me.” Despite Dan's leading Dremera over to him the young girl had quickly turned away and sprinted back towards her mother. He wasn't so hurt whenever Dremera leaped into the air and took hold of her mother's tail with fang and claw. “Which given what she just did I'm quite okay with.”

Mina gave an amused giggle as she brought her tail around to look at her daughter. “I believe someone is ready to hunt.”

Flora, “By the makers Mina have you been teaching her to do that?”

“Well I've been playing with her using my tail. I mean it's one of the softest parts of my body and she sure seems to like attacking it.”

“I hope that you're teaching her not to do that with everyone's tail. I swear the first time Maria did that to me I was worried she might have taken a chunk of my tail with her.”

At first Mina said nothing. She was teaching Dremera that she had to be careful when playing with brothers. The notion that she might be letting Dremera be too rough when playing with herself hadn't really set in. “Oh that is a good point. I guess that could make it more difficult finding a care taker for her.”

Mira, “You need a care taker for that little ball of energy? Does that mean you're ready to rejoin the wrest of us?”

Mina gave her head a nod even as she began to run her fingers along Dremera's side tickling her. She could feel her daughter's claws and teeth pushing into her tail even more firmly as she tried to strengthen her hold. “Well sort of. I'd like to have a few hours a day to spend practicing with the matrons.”

Mira, “I'm pretty sure that I could handle her for a few hours.” As she spoke Mira had walked over to Dremera and gave the sister's tail a quick flick. The speed with which Dremera's tail struck back surprised her even though it wasn't enough to catch her. “Wow she must have practiced using that on Joseph a lot! I heard a little snap there.”

Mina, “It isn't just Joseph. She tends to use it to get hold of her father as well and to try to get free from me.” By now Mina had really began to work her daughter. She could feel the little girl's body shaking as she tried to repress her laughter and maintain her grip. It seemed success had come whenever she felt Dremera loosen her grip but it quickly tightened up and brought two more bites to Mina's tail. “Are you being more viscious then normal because your daddy is here? Are you trying to show off how tough you can be?”

Maria, “So I tried to do that to you mom?” As she spoke Maria couldn't help but smile. Even while feeling the energy being pulled from her body watching Dremera play with her mother was entertaining. The fact that Maria didn't feel the drain nearly as much as she first did also helped.

“If I had ever let you get that far you might have. I would have given your little bottom a few smacks by now. Now Mira are you sure that you have the time needed to take care of Dremera? Tending to a young sister is a very involved process leaving very little room for anything else.”

“Yeah. I'm sure I could spare the time.”

“Okay. Well if Mira can't do it feel free to ask me Mina so long as I'm not within this glyph.”

“What about Alex?”

Flora actually felt her teeth parting into a rather toothy grin as she looked at Mina. “I was thinking I could let Dremera play with him. Perhaps she could practice what she started with Joseph.”

Mina, “Flora! That would just be asking Dremera to learn the wrong lessons. I'm not going to have you teaching my daughter how to torture someone until she knows what a brother is and what a dirty lying manipulative beast in a human's skin is.” By now Mina really was making progress. She could feel her daughter shaking and finally her mouth opened in a delighted squeal despite her best efforts. Mina was now attacking Dremera's tickle spots including her soft little tummy and the young sister was fighting desperately to maintain her grip.

Flora, “Oh alright! No using Dremera as an instrument of learning.”

Joseph, “I believe you mean torture.”

For a moment Flora said nothing but just looked at Joseph. Her smile didn't begin to fade in the least. “Torture is cruel and the brutality exceeds what is required. I assure you that such interaction would benefit the individual far more then harm. You have a good point though Mina. Still a few of my claimed have been helping me out.”

Mina, “That is right. You still have a few trusted claimed you take care of. I suppose you couldn't expect Alex to do much if he didn't have anyone to work with.” The sound of her daughter laughing made Mina laugh and she quickly scooped up the young girl the moment she felt her arms and legs give out. “Mommy has you! Yes I do! Yes I do you mean little rascal!” By now Mina was lightening up on tickling Dremera and allowing the young girl to settle down. She was still coming down from her tickling and seemed to have plenty of laughs in her even as Mina set her back down. “I swear Flora it feels so strange to be so much larger then my own daughter. I remember whenever you had Maria and Mira. An extra meter can change a lot in how you feel can't it?”

“I have no idea. I'll let you know whenever I have my third daughter.” It felt strange for Flora to speak of having a third daughter. In truth she was amazed that she had two so close together and considered herself fortunate to do so. She still had many decades left in her though and the possibility of having another child was there.

“With the way you've been producing children it wouldn't be surprising. If you two are any indicators your mother is due to become pregnant again rather soon.”

Maria, “That is true. You do seem to have a child every twenty years.” As she spoke Maria turned to her mother who had a grin on her face.

“That isn't true. I was much older then twenty whenever I gave birth to you Maria. The fact that your sister came shortly after you underwent the long sleep was a one time event. If you're any indicator of the time it takes me to become pregnant then I still have quite some time to wait.”

Mira, “I don't know about that mom. How much time did you spend trying to convince a child before you conceived Maria?”

“Oh well.” A slight chuckle escaped Flora as she looked between her two daughters. “I just hope that you two are as fertile as I was. Actually it would be better if you could be a bit more fertile. I would love to see my grandchild soon and you know they aren't many young sisters for Dremera to play with right now.” By now the young girl had calmed down and Mina had set her down. Flora was keeping a close eye on the girl despite her apparent forgiveness of Joseph. After the incident with the ball Flora wasn't going to underestimate Dremera's cunning. It was possible that the young girl was waiting for everyone to relax their guard before she went after Joseph again.

While the larger females spoke Dremera made her way back over to her father. This only required three rapid hops from the young girl. Her experience from before insured she knew to take the final hop easy so that she could retain control. She didn't want to bump into her father the same way she had slammed into the wall. As she came to be next to him Dremera quickly raised up onto her hind legs and placed her hands on her father's stomach. At the same time her tail wrapped around his leg to hep her maintain her balance. Walking on two legs was still much harder then walking on all four limbs and slower as well.

Dan had noticed whenever Dremera came to stand next to him and braced himself. As he felt Dremera's hands pressing into his stomach he looked down at her and began to bind at the knees. “Hey there little lady do you want to be carried for a bit? Well I believe my arms have recovered enough for a little while.” As he reached down Dan took in a few deep breaths. He was a bit surprised whenever Joseph took hold of Dremera from behind.

“I'll help you get her up.”

“Thanks if you don't mind be there for me to lean on as well. I'd normally let Mina do it but we're trying to build some positive association here. Okay little lady up you go.” As he spoke and began to lift Dremera Dan was hit with the notion that Dremera felt heavier then she had before. This wasn't because of her growing in mass though but rather the fact that he hadn't recovered yet. He was grateful whenever he felt Joseph helping lift her. Despite the strain he still had to chuckle as Dremera first looked at him then over her shoulder at Joseph and back and forth several times. It was clear she wasn't certain what to think of the situation. He couldn't help but chuckle whenever she gave Joseph a hiss then purred a little. “I believe she's confused.”

Joseph, “You think so?” Joseph could still remember how much it stung to be smacked with Dremera's tail and he had no doubt that those claws and teeth of her could take a good chunk out of him. Yet despite her hissing at him he wasn't fearful of her attacking him at the moment. It seemed fairly clear that with Dan around she wasn't going to attack him. At least so long as he didn't do anything to provoke her. It also seemed quite clear she was conflicted at the moment especially whenever she felt her continuing to purr when she looked back at him. “Good grief Dan your daughter has a healthy purr. Are you sure you won't be shaken apart?” Joseph actually was spooked a little whenever Dremera added a hiss to her purr. “Dan was that what I thought it was?”

Mina, “By the creators! She just hissed while purring.” While she had meant to keep back while Dremera was with Joseph and Dan Mina couldn't help but walk over to her. Her first instinct was to rub her daughter's back but she wasn't certain if she should encourage such behavior. “At this point your poor old mom is never going to know when you intend to attack someone or when you're just being silly. Flora have you ever seen a girl that was this hissy?”

Even Flora was chuckling as she noted Dremera. By now Dan had a good grip on her and Joseph had backed off a bit. Typically she would tell Joseph to pay attention to his experiment especially given that her daughter was part of it. Flora even found herself thinking that they may have been within the glyph for longer then was planned. As she considered her own condition and Maria's though she was certain there would be no harm in spending a little longer. Especially with a distraction like Dremera in the room. “Mina I believe that might just be a side affect of her amazing grudge holding skills. I swear it's as if she considers Joseph a friendly person but she still wants to say she's angry with him. I'm angry with you but I want you to pet me.”

Joseph, “How does that work? Well more importantly does that means she's going to go back to attacking me once Dan leaves.” After the first few moments with Dan in the room Joseph had believed they may be able to convince Dremera to forgive him. Now it seemed like she was treating holding a grudge as if it was a game. This thought brought a rather large grin to Joseph's face. It seemed like something he could live with so long as she didn't attack him. Dremera's hissing was extremely cute so long as she couldn't truly threaten him.

Flora, “I. I don't think so. This is just so strange! Ah well. Ridon how much longer do we have to remain within these glyphs? I've been waiting to give that little lady's tail tip some flicks for a while now.”

Mina, “Ah! You here that Dremera? Flora is going to flick your tail!” As Mina chuckled she took a step back from her daughter who was actually looking a little confused at the moment.

While the others had been talking Ridon had turned to the timer. Immediately he realized they'd made a mistake. “Whoops. Okay everyone out of the glyph now. Mira, Mina if you don't mind give them a hand they tend to be a bit wobbling after their sessions.”

End Book 7

Chapter 41 by happiest_in_shadows

Naidra couldn't help but smile as she approached Joseph. “Congratulations your progress has been quite remarkable. Perhaps if our last master had tried such methods he would still be with us today and been able to accomplish his goal.” As she spoke Naidra could practically feel Joseph radiating happiness. He was quite pleased with himself and the results of his project. It was well earned and made him seem all the more a Luvarian to her. Yet there was some hesitation in his movements. He was past being uncomfortable around her which likely meant he had a request that she might not approve of. She was proud to deal with that.

“Thanks Naidra. I can hardly believe it. We've cut Maria and Flora's food rations by nearly a third and they're both doing fine. You know we're going to be extending the lessons to other sisters soon right?” As he spoke Joseph was actually having trouble standing still. He could feel the excitement building within him as it had since the project had began showing serious results over three months. Now there was no arguing with the data they had gathered. The sisters could be taught to diminish their need for external energy sources by learning to better direct energy into their body. He had been fearful that all they'd been seeing was slight variations that wouldn't amount to anything. A recent examination of Maria and Flora though designating them both in ideal health had removed all fears.

“Yes I am aware. I'm also glad that you decided to hold these lessons within the citadel. I should inform you that we've also began examining your project and seeing how we might apply such methods to ourselves but there is complications.”

“Oh? That's great! But what are the complications?”

Rather then answering right away Naidra took a moment to set down bringing herself closer to eye level with Joseph. As she settled on the floor and leaned against the wall she took in a deep breath. “Well I'm sure you noticed that we don't grow like the sisters do. There are some design differences in our bodies. We're not quite as adaptive as they are but we're stronger then them in many areas. We're more hoping to make use of your technique rather then your exact glyph design.”

“We'll I'm glad to hear it. But Naidra there is something else I wanted to talk to you about. With this new method and the life bloom we're making serious steps towards ending the sister's hunger. We're taking bigger steps then have been taken in centuries I believe. I was thinking that it might be time to give everyone another chance. I remember you mentioned that they pushed you for knowledge that you couldn't risk giving them. With these new discoveries though that knowledge isn't as important anymore.”

Naidra had known it would only be so long before Joseph would want to bring others in on the secret. The protectors had talked about this for quite some time and came up with a solution. “We would prefer if instead of doing that you invited a few select faelom to meet with us. Rather then a mass reveal we would prefer a slow introduction to our siblings.”

For a moment Joseph felt his body go numb even as his face formed into a smile. He had actually been prepared for Naidra to say no and hoped that she would say give it more time. For her to suggest an alternative was exciting. “You mean I can tell Maria about you? I have to admit keeping her in the dark about where I've been going inside the citadel has been troubling me.”

“We could have never stopped you from telling anyone. We simply asked that you not tell anyone.” Joseph seemed to relax now even as Naidra smiled back at him. She was glad to see that he was becoming increasingly comfortable with his status.

Joseph actually felt a little foolish as Naidra reminded him of a simple fact. He kept forgetting his position as far as being  Luvarian. At times he felt this was best as it made him consider his actions more carefully. “Thats great! I just hope that Maria isn't too upset with me for not telling her sooner. I wonder what would be the best way to tell her.”

“I don't recommend telling her. Showing her would be far simpler. All you need to do is lead her into one of the restricted areas by telling her you have something you want to speak to her about. If need be I will be there or another protector if you wish us to be to serve as confirmation. If you intend to reveal that you can travel further within the citadel on your own then we may as well speak to her.” As she spoke Naidra was hiding her fear and excitement. It had been so long since they'd last spoken to one of the faelom that journeyed outside of the citadel. The protectors left the citadel at times but they were also quiet during such times. Someone that could move freely could be beneficial.

“I believe it might be best if you were there. I'm not worried about her becoming aggressive but she might become a bit excited. I know I'm excited to tell her. Well I'm excited to show her it seems. Are they any other sisters that you'd recommend?”

“Mina.”

“Huh? Because she's a keeper?”

“Because it would be easier to convince her to keep Dremera within the citadel and trust her to our care if we could actually speak to her. In the event you didn't notice we are rather fond of children. It's something of a requirement whenever you're part of an organization that specializes in the creation of new life. I do not recommend bringing here at the same time.”

***********************************************************************************

As Zarena watched Nathan working she felt a little out of place. It wasn't that she hadn't been able to help him but the help she could offer was now at an end. The glyph was a scaled up version of the one Joseph had developed and the ink had been adjusted for the increased size of the glyph and the different material it would be carved into it. That hadn't been entirely sufficient though. Mystic focus points and power sources would have to be implanted within the glyph to make it functional. Currently Nathan was busy feeling the paths she'd cut into the stone with the special ink while channeling a bit of magic into it to help with its formation.  “This stinks.”

A slight chuckle escaped Nathan as he looked up at Zarena. Currently she was setting so that she blocked the sun light allowing him to work in the shade. “I would let you move me around but until the ink has set you run a risk of disturbing its properties.”

“I know. It still isn't pleasant. I admit I'm kind of worried this is going to turn into a big waste of resources. You have to admit that I use a good bit more energy then an average sister. What if even after I learned to direct more energy into my body it doesn't really make a difference? It seems like this is something you'd want to try out on the matrons before you experimented on a sleeper.”

“True there is a potential this won't have much of an affect. However, if it does work then you have the single greatest potential of providing the greatest results. Well you and every other sleeper.” As Nathan worked he was surprised by how draining this was proving. The modified ink required a bit of magic to form correctly. Whenever he was using it to write on paper that wasn't a problem. Filling the entire glyph Zarena had cut into the stone was proving to be more of a problem. He was trying not to show it but he could feel the drain and worried whether he would have the reserves to finish. He was confident that he would but he wasn't entirely certain the more he progressed though the more confident he became. “I do hope that this ink works and I don't have to prepare another type.”

“That's the danger of scale. The larger you make something the more likely some secondary attribute you never considered will prove to be a problem. I remember whenever we were first talking about producing the sleepers and the possibility that something would go horribly wrong with our bodies or our minds. Well our minds was the greater concern.” As she spoke Zarena could tell that Nathan was fatiguing. She could also tell that talking to him was helping. If she provided a distraction and kept his spirits up without being a hindrance it would help his performance.

“Zarena did you study magic theory?”

“Naturally! You can't protect a brother from his over eagerness, mistakes or idiocy if you don't have some idea of what he's doing. Idiocy is the really tricky one. It can do such a good job of disguising itself as common sense that you may not see it until it's right up on you. Then.” Zarena quickly smacked her hands together creating a very powerful impact that resounded throughout the area. Nathan didn't even flinch as she smiled down at him. “There is a huge mess to deal with. The fact that my sisters chose to restrict some of your studies led me to believe that they've been slacking in their study of mystic theory.”

Nathan was glad that he had traveled to the island Zarena had been working on. It would be a good location for the other sleepers to train and it meant they could speak relatively freely. He knew the sisters living with the orcs would be able to hear her but that was better then every sister in the village. She had a tendency to say things that would shame them. “I don't suppose that they have. So do you expect your previous experience to give you an advantage.”

“I don't believe so. Well it might. Maria explained what she did to me earlier whenever I was showing her different ways to work her tail.”

“Is that why you were balling half your tail up and throwing it around like a weight?”

“Yep! You don't actually have to move a great deal of mass to make adjustments to your velocity after all. I was showing her how she could manipulate her tail to turn even titer. She's really a quick study but I suspect that has more to do with the way her mind works then anything else. I really don't know if I could live in the world she does.”

The notion of living in a world that moved and thought so much slower then you had occurred to Nathan before. At times he imagined he would go mad in such a situation. Pleasure would seem to last longer but so would pain. As difficult as the other sisters felt suffering through their hunger was every hour was half a day or longer to Maria. He had thought at times this would have to fatigue her mind more quickly then normal. How long would have Maria lived with such a mutation if she hadn't found something she could always look forward to? “I really believe that Joseph came along at just the right time to help us whenever I consider everything we've been through.”

“Well he sure did great work! That said I'm sure I could have whipped you all into shape after you woke me up to. Sure I couldn't have come up with as many developments but there would be no way I could just leave you where you were.” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as she pushed far more pride into her voice then she truly felt. “Joseph really did do amazing work. It's a shame you didn't find someone like him before all of this but then I wonder if you'd been prepared for such changes if you hadn't been humbled before hand.”

“Do you believe that the life bloom could have triggered the sisters to become more repressive?”

“Yes. Especially as they were of the mind set of we're so powerful that there is no reason for you to put yourself in danger. If we truly were so powerful I'd agree with them but they are some things we just can't do and well. It's much easier to protect something that's strong then something that's delicate. I'm glad that you're as accomplished with your magic as you are. It lets me leave you and not worry about your safety too much.”

“Too much? Oh come now I spend most of my time in the citadel now or amongst the other sisters. Why would you be worrying?”

“It's in my nature. So do you believe you have enough ink to finish the glyph?”

“Oh I hope so! I did the math to make sure I had enough and even prepared some extra but there is always that fear. I really wish some of the compounds weren't so restrictive.” Unfortunately for Nathan to make the needed ink he had to make use of gold as well as some precious stones. Given the amount of ink he'd needed it had been a bit restrictive. It didn't help that as they had been expanding so rapidly resources had began to be stretched. “I'm glad you gathered all of that stone for us whenever I think of the sisters having to dig it up in the forest that would have been a problem.”

“Nathan how are we doing on reserves? I know that the life bloom has been a wonderful food source but I remember sisters were being given special hunting assignments while the others focused on the construction.”

“Let me put it this way. Thank goodness we're almost done with the bulk of it and thank goodness everyone worked so hard. We were really depending on the fishing village for additional supplies but as that took longer to prepare then expected.”

“What about the brothers reserves of magic items?”

“Yeah we dipped a bit aggressively into those. Some of our suppliers visited us and we were able to negotiate for extra materials but they're limited in what they can bring. Preparing the chambers for the life bloom, experimenting on the remains of fallen sisters, the new construction effort, new projects based around the life bloom and well other projects we're running a bit lower then I'd like. Any chance that you've ran across any sunken ships while you were out swimming.”

Immediately Zarena raised up slightly and turned to look out towards the ocean. “Huh. That is an idea. I haven't been looking for any but the ocean is pretty big even compared to me. I wonder if there might be some kind of spell to help locate them.”

***********************************************************************************

“I swear if you're going to tell me that I need to cut down on what I've been eating again we're going to have a problem. I've been enduring this with hopes that I'd be allowed to grow larger and diminish my hunger not reduce my eating habits.” Maria had a large grin on her face even as she set down. She was finally within and beyond acceptable eating habits of a guardian. Much to Maria's surprise Flora had continued to reduce how much she ate along with her despite being allowed more as a keeper. She insisted that it was to set a good example for the community but Maria couldn't help but believe it was to lend her support. Given her recent successes Maria was hoping to be a keeper herself very soon just like her mother and sister.

“No. Goodness no. I am proud of how much you've cut back though. I hope that I've told you that enough. It's kind of funny seeing the other sisters looking at you when you're dining. I'm not sure if you've noticed but they seem confused.”

Maria gave a small laugh before nodding her head. “You should see how they're looking at my mother! Mom even spends most of her time in the village so they can keep an eye on her to make sure she's not slipping meals. It has really added a lot of weight to your training method. I'm kind of surprised that you haven't had them begging you to teach them. I believe they assume that whatever you did to allow us to eat less while maintaining our size must be a horrible torture.”

“Where would they get an idea like that?” Joseph actually found himself frowning a bit. He knew that the glyph was rough on the sisters. However, Maria had proven that once you had began down the path it was possible to sustain it without the use of the glyph. At least that was what the data they had gathered suggested. Joseph was on the look out for any decline in her progress and constantly comparing it to Flora's who continued to make use of the glyph. He still worried that Maria's sustained success was due more to the way she thought and responded to the world then his teachings. What was only an hour to Flora was far longer in Maria's mind if not to her body.

“Oh I believe it's just a common assumption that people are making right now. Between the changes we've had to make to our social structure, the training with Kersara, the additional combat training and all the work everyone just seems to think that anything good for them is going to hurt. I suppose that it is true. I mean I can't say that I've enjoyed setting within that glyph but I've enjoyed the results.”

“Ha! Feel my revenge for all those times you jabbed me while running!” As Joseph called out he found himself grinning far more widely and putting far more energy into his words then he had meant. It did nothing to remove Maria's smile and she even began to laugh slightly.

“Hey I thought you already claimed revenge for that!”

“Well it's not like you only chased me down the path poking me in the rear once.”

“Ah! You're not going to try to repay me for every day are you? I might have to try remembering some of the times you've pushed me to do my best in retaliation.”

For a moment Joseph just smiled at Maria before taking in a deep breath. “I suppose I'd best not risk opening up any old wounds. Maria I have something important to tell you and well to show you. If you don't mind look at the arch we passed under about fifteen paces behind us and look very carefully. Just try to remain calm.”

The strange nature of Joseph's request flash through Maria's mind and immediately peeked her interest.  Turning towards the arch at first glance she didn't notice anything. Rather then question Joseph she stood up and began walking towards it inspecting it for anything that seemed out of place. It took her a moment to notice the markings she would have normally turned away from as they meant there was a barrier there. “You found one of the halls missing a barrier!” Immediately Maria felt her heart rate speed up and turned to face Joseph. He had found a weakness in the citadel. They could bring others past and explore it even further and hopefully unlock more secrets. “Joseph this is amazing!”

“Hold on a moment Maria.” Joseph actually felt rather awkward. He hadn't even considered Maria might think they'd found some kind of weak point in the citadel's defense. That was far from the case. “The barrier is still there we just walked through it is all.”

“Huh? You mean you found a way to go through the barriers!” Maria didn't really think about what she was doing. Her legs moved before her mind did as she walked over to Joseph and bent down nearly slamming her rump into the ground as she lowered herself to better look Joseph in the eyes. “You mean we can go through any portal?”

“No. Here let me explain. Maria it's not that I've found a weak point in the citadel. The citadel has recognized me as a low ranking Luvarian. An actual Luvarian. The citadel has allowed me to come this far and it has allowed you to come this far because well I asked it to.” There was a moment of silence in which Maria froze up. Given how quickly she thought he knew this meant she was processing quite a few thoughts. The expression on her face was a mixture of shock and a smile. “I've had quite a bit of help on some of my recent projects you see and that includes designing the glyph. I also want you to know that I wanted to tell you about this sooner but I was asked not to.”

“Asked by who?”

“That would be by me.” As she spoke Naidra approached Joseph and Maria. She had been near by for some time now. She had considered waiting for them right against the mystic barrier but had chosen to stand a bit out of site and keep her scent from being noticed. “My name is Naidra and I know you're Maria. I was the one who first informed Joseph that he had achieved the first level of a true Luvarian.”

A protector was in front of her and she was speaking to them. The thought slammed into Maria like running into one of Vera's punches. It took the breath right out of her and for a moment she could only look on. “This is amazing! Joseph you really are a Luvarian! The protectors can talk?”

“Yes he is and yes we can. Joseph has been asking for our blessing to bring others in on this secret for some time now. You were the first person he brought into it and we asked that you keep the secret for now as others are quietly brought to know the truth. It has been decided to begin a slow introduction to the community.”

“Wow!” Maria felt like her face was going to split in two as she smiled. The feeling of something moving against her reminded her to look down. During some moment she had picked Joseph up and pulled him into a hug against herself. He head was nestled nicely against her chest in her crouched position but he seemed to be having trouble speaking. “Joseph this is amazing! So have you been helping Joseph with his work?”

“As much as I am able without breaching certain boundaries.”

By now Maria had loosened her hold enough that Joseph could speak again. “They're willing to tell me if something will work or not and recommend learning materials and bits of knowledge to look into but they're not willing to teach.”

Maria could feel her heart pounding in her chest. The protectors had spoken to Joseph and now they were speaking to her. She knew that Naidra had to be hearing it. The difficulty she had finding Joseph in the citadel suddenly made sense. It didn't matter to her that he had kept this a secret. He had been asked to after all. Yet there was so many things this could mean. “Are you working on repairing our energy source Joseph?”

“No. Maria that is a type of magic that is well beyond me and outside of my field. I don't want to repair your energy source. I don't want to give you a new energy source anymore either. I want to make it so that you don't need to rely on such things. I want to find a way to either allow you to sustain the mystic part of your body on your own or to fix your body so that it doesn't demand that kind of energy. Naturally I'd prefer to find a way for you to sustain that magic.”

“It's that notion that allowed him to become a Luvarian. Maria I'm sure you're aware of the dangers we could pose to the outside world if we weren't bound to the forest or this citadel.”

“We? You mean you're also using Joseph's technique?” As she spoke Maria looked up towards Naidra.

“We're attempting to learn from it. You see Maria we are very similar to you and your sisters but they are differences. Unfortunately Joseph's original design will not work of us. Yet the concept and the basis of the knowledge has potential.”

“Joseph have you been helping them?”

“No. I didn't even know that they were working on something for themselves until recently.”

“Yes and we would prefer if you remained focused on your current projects.”

Maria, “Huh? Don't you want to be without hunger to?”

“Our original energy source remains we don't suffer from hunger. Where you desire an end to your hunger we simply desire greater power so that we may continue our function.”

“I see.” Maria was actually somewhat uneasy as she listened to Naidra's reason. While she had mentioned that her body was different Maria couldn't help but feel that her mind was different as well. There was more important things to consider though as she lifted Joseph into her arms and began to stand up.  “So Joseph what are your plans now?”

“Well naturally I'm going to continue trying to refine the glyph and training process now that I know it works. I also want to begin introducing sisters to the protectors again. Naidra agreed to that. We're thinking that Mina is going to come next though until the right time we want you to keep quiet.”

“Don't worry. I won't tell anyone about this but. So you haven't learned anything knew?”

“Ah well yeah I have. Naidra brought me some books that the brothers don't have free access to. It was what allowed me to design the glyph in the first place. I haven't been recognized as a Luvarian for long though and so I haven't been able to make many new discoveries.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria after a moment of silence. “I'm sure that you will. So does that mean you get to work with Luvarian equipment whenever you want to now?”

“Yes I do.”

“He just doesn't get to use the good stuff.”  Naidra had a grin on her face whenever Maria and Joseph both looked at her. Their surprise was clear on their face. “You're a starting Luvarian. We're not going to let you near the truly dangerous materials just yet. Beings like Atria could remove an entire species from this forest in just a few days after all. Well she probably couldn't remove the faelom but then again I wouldn't want to test that theory.”

Immediately Joseph's curiosity was peeked. He knew that Naidra was bating him trying to make him question her and inspire him to move further as a Luvarian. He had to ask despite that knowledge. “Who and what is Atria.”

“A very sweet construct that was made to help manage the forest. While developing it there was no way that unwanted creatures would not move in and put the Luvarian's project in danger. So they created her to remove such dangerous and anything they decided was a mistake later. I'm sure you both heard how the forest blinds in with the citadel whenever the apprentices entered the shadow realm here.”

“Those vines were Atria?” As Joseph spoke he tried to remember what he had been told about those vines. Nathan had mentioned feeling a remarkable amount of power just sleeping. It was likely those vines where what kept hostile spirits away from the citadel or consumed them whenever they did arrive.

“No. They're part of her.”

Maria, “Um Naidra. What am I suppose to do about this? I mean surely I was brought here for a reason.”

“Yes you were. You're here because he kept asking if he could tell you about us.” As she spoke Naidra pointed towards Joseph who suddenly looked very sheepish. “If you're actually interested in helping Joseph's advancements then be a remarkable specimen and see how far you can push his new developments.” Naidra continued to grin as Maria gave her a shocked look. It was as if someone had assumed they were a person of some import only to learn they were only allowed in due to the good will of another. That actually wasn't an uncommon happening back whenever the Luvarian's were a business.

“So I'm his assistant?”

“More like a component to his project.” A slight chuckle escaped Naidra as she placed a hand on Maria's shoulder. “You're loyal to the Luvarians and you're a powerful construct Maria. If they were more Luvarians around you'd be very important. Especially since you're also quite smart. There have been cases in which Luvarian constructs have progressed to Luvarians themselves. You're difficulty with magic makes that an issue of course but Joseph has started you on a path to fix that.”

Despite just meeting Naidra Maria actually felt herself beginning to grin as the shock faded. “If I become too powerful though I won't be able to fit within the citadel.”

“It wouldn't be the first time it has happened.”

“Seriously?”  It actually seemed strange. Maria knew that Zarena was far too large to fit within the citadel. Yet she had been allowed to grow that size after the fall of the Luvarians. Before the sisters had been kept to such a size that they could fit within certain areas of the citadel. At least that was what the histories told them and they had no reason to doubt them. The notion that other constructs had grown so large seemed surprising.

Naidra gave her head a quick nod. “Yes. Master Former Maxus grew tired of experiments that provided interesting results but creatures that couldn't be made use of. Rather then continue to dispose of them he devoted twenty years of his life developing a construct that could consume other constructs and in theory retain certain aspects of their being. The work was difficult and it is said that in the end he had to tie his own spirit to the construct and offer up part of is soul to produce a stable result. The construct could consume other lesser constructs and retain certain aspects of her being. Unfortunately this also produced a slow but unavoidable increase in mass. She eventually exceeded the size of the guild hall that she was birthed in and had to be moved to another location.”

Joseph, “She?”

“Yes. The construction in question had to be designed to contain life within her body so in most respects the construct was a she. This was also reflected whenever she wold try to humanize herself. If you're wondering no. Maxus's master work isn't housed here and to our knowledge may have been destroyed during the Luvarian in fighting. The unfortunate danger with such a soul binding is often if the host dies so does the other. Well that and a long list of other complications that make soul binding a bad idea.” As she finished Naidra gave a slight shrug. “Well if you don't mind follow me.”

Joseph was actually surprised whenever Naidra asked him to follow her. He had expected her to do little more then speak to Maria. “Do you have something in mind Naidra? I thought you just wanted me to introduce you to Maria for the time being.”

“Hardly. Maria. Now that you're here and as you're one of us I intend to see to your instruction. I've been watching your progress with Joseph's technique, that he should name by the way for the sake of documentation and future research, and I believe I know some exercises that will assist you in your betterment.”

***********************************************************************************

“That psychotic bitch!” As Maria spoke she could feel her heart slamming against the inside of her ribcage. Since she had awoken from her sleep she had been the fastest sister she knew. Due to the speed at which she tended to think and her body moved she tended to always have a slight advantage. That advantage had absolutely vanished whenever she had began to train with Naidra. She couldn't watch her opponent anymore if she did she would get hit. She had to constantly keep moving and not the slow pace she normally used whenever fighting. This had required her to maintain her top speed at each moment. If it hadn't been for Zarena's tail techniques she would have had the day lights knocked out of her several times. Then of all things the floor had included Joseph's energy draining glyph. If she didn't keep pace with Naidra she got hit. If she let her energy be depleted too quickly she'd get hit even more. It was the first time Maria had felt truly physically strained in several years.

“Maria are you alright?” As Joseph looked at Maria he was surprised by the rate at which she was breathing. Her chest appeared to be positively vibrating to him and he could feel the constant rush of air as she inhaled and exhaled.

“Did you know she was going to do that? The speed with which she accelerated. I don't thinks he was any faster then me but the rate at which she reached those speeds were.” For a moment Maria went silent as she took in a few deep breathes of air. Her muscles felt they deserved the oxygen far more then her voice did. Given how she was feeling she imagined they were right.

“No. I was surprised whenever she wanted to spar with you to begin with. I'm just glad she didn't use any magic.”

“What!”

Joseph gave a slight jump as he noted the excitement on Maria's face. “Protectors are capable of using magic. I haven't seen them use it myself but they've been honest with me about everything else that I know of. They're actually capable of casting spells and well according to them as they're capable of casting spells you should be capable of casting spells as well. We've already proven that theory for the most part of course.”

“Yeah. Yeah.” A sigh escaped Maria as she managed to lean against the wall of her and Joseph's home. It had taken all the willpower she could manage to get them home first before speaking. She didn't want to insult the protectors in their own home. As she imagined what Naidra could do when she actually cast spells though it made her wonder if the protector could have moved even faster. “Hey Joseph I just had a funny thought. Have you ever asked them about Allen? I mean they helped him.”

“Apparently they're willing to show you the book or books that has the knowledge you need inside of it but they're not willing to teach. The way Naidra explained it to me is sort of like this. They have issues with the regular concerns as casting magic comes so naturally to them. It'd be like teaching someone how to create fire but not warning them in advance that your own flames will burn you. I've seen it before. A young mage will be holding a flame in one hand and think they can touch it with the other without realizing that the same magic that is sustaining the fire is protecting their hand. Except that the flames they can teach people to use are far more dangerous.”

“So our energy system?”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he shook his head. “They can't fix it. That system requires spells and components that they don't have. Naidra explained it to me earlier. The forest guild hall was the main guild hall for gathering and processing biological items. However, the energy source that was used to maintain the ancient sister was produced by another guild hall which they believe to be lost. They told me they would like to go search the area and see if there is anything to be reclaimed but they're even more tightly bound to the citadel then you are to the forest. Their actual hope is that once you and your sisters have grown strong enough you'll go investigate it.”

For a moment Maria was silent. The notion of leaving the forest was fastening but that wasn't her main thought. “Hold on a moment. You're working on your glyph, we have the life bloom and the brothers are working on refining it into a new energy system. On top of all that though they also want to restore the original energy system?”

Maria's statement actually surprised Joseph. There was hope that his glyphs would remove the sister's need for an external energy source. There was hope that the life bloom could provide enough power to end their hunger as well. Yet the protectors also sought a third source of power. “I never thought of that. Wow I wonder if they'd want to look into a fourth or fifth source of power as well.”

“Somehow I think you do now.”

Joseph froze up for a moment. He did want to free the sisters from their hunger. He hoped that the glyph and training that came with it would allow them to do so. Was it truly wise to just rely on that energy source and the life bloom though? “I would like to put a few safe guards in place. Plus they're probably those sisters that don't have the spiritual strength to meet their body's demands. I don't believe I'd just let them suffer either.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria as she crossed her arms and looked strait at Joseph. In her seated position they were far closer to eye level then normal. “I wonder what kind of justification you're going to come up with later.”

***********************************************************************************

Mira felt like her jaw was going to hit the ground. It had been the first time in several weeks since she'd been close to a standing Maria and now she found her beliefs confirmed. Maria was slightly taller then she was. “Maria what's going on!”

It had been three weeks since she had began training with Naidra. Maria still hadn't made keeper but the training was showing results even more quickly then what Joseph's had. Though Naidra was always quick to remind her that all she was doing was providing a guardrail while she traveled the path Joseph had set her on. Every bruise and cut was apparently meant to be when she had bumped into the ledge. Maria felt that was just something  Naidra made up to make the bruises less painful but she kept quiet about it. Currently the two sisters were standing within the citadel. Mira had come bringing the brothers some supplies while Maria was there helping Joseph. “Hey sis. I can't say much is going on. I made it back from the waterfront earlier and I was helping Joseph out a bit.”

“You're taller then me though! Just three weeks ago I still had several centimeters on you.”

“True but I stopped reducing how much I eat.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she looked at her stunned sister. She still felt a rather powerful hunger but its teeth had been diminished thanks to the additional height even though Maria still felt she had a long way to go. “I am after all Joseph's primary test subject for his new methods.”

“Ah no fair! I've began to undergo the lessons as well.”

A soft snort escaped Maria as she looked at her sister. “Not fair? I'm the one who had to deal with all the bumps of being the first test subject. You're all benefiting because mother and I smoothed the way.”

“Well that's true.” A slight chuckle escaped Mira as she once again looked her sister over. The other sisters had grown so used to the changes in Maria due to Joseph's influence that no one worried about how much she was eating anymore. It helped that both Flora and Mira had made it clear that Maria had actually reduced her eating habits so she was now well within the limits of a guardian ranked status. “Did you hear what happened whenever Zarena began her training?”

“No. Why? What happened?”

“Mirin had a layer or two of  the skin from his hand burned off whenever they energy flow shifted. Apparently Zarena setting within the circle was drastic enough to cause some changes in the flow. He had to control it himself for a short while. They're working on fixing the issues. I'm not sure how much of it was Mirin though. Sora was apparently right there and the moment the energy was under control she was carrying him to the healers.”

“Ouch. I wonder if she's going to start making him wear more protective clothing or items whenever he's working in an area with that much energy.”

Mira gave a slight shrug in response to sister's question. “It's hard to say she's kind of hard to read. She might make him learn to control that much energy in the spirit of our brothers becoming more independent. Anyway, I should probably get this food to the kitchen. What does Joseph have you going to get him anyway?”

“Ah well really it isn't him wanting me to go get something. I'm going to get something for him. Joseph has helped me reach this size so I figured I'd fix him something nice to eat. They're a few items that I have at home that they don't have in the kitchen here.”

“Oh?”

“A few spices. Joseph actually treated them with alchemy to bring out a richer flavor. He did it for me so that I would feel like I was getting more out of what I was eating. It turned out that he really likes the taste to but he can't eat much of them. It'd been a while and I had a few fun ideas as to what to cook.”

“That sounds nice. Any chance I could join you?”

There was a moment of silence. Maria hated to turn down her younger sister but she also wanted to spend some alone time with Joseph. “Well you see it isn't just dinner. Joseph and I like to celebrate whenever I add on any significant increase in size. Just so that we'll both know what it was like to be together whenever I was smaller.” Maria returned Mira's grin as the two sisters looked at one another.

“Well then. I'll talk to you later then. Be careful not to hurt him. With that increase size comes even more strength.”

***********************************************************************************

Vera didn't truly know what to think as she felt her strike connect solidly with something much smaller then her yet unmoving. She didn't dare strike again though as she noticed the vibrations that seemed to run throughout Julia's bodies as the woman took a step breathing deeply. Listening to Julia's heart rate she knew that she had felt that strike and that there had been some damage. Yet it wasn't the only punch that she had delivered to Julia. Most sisters would have been laying on the ground a bruised mess after taking the type of hits Julia had taken. “Julia are you alright? Your conditioning is making it hard to determine how injured you are.”

“I'm. I'm not in a life threatening situation and nothing was broken or crushed.” Despite the pain she was feeling Julia smiled at Vera. The sister had agreed to spar with her in order to test her new combat ability. Vera was one of the deadliest hand to hand fighters amongst the sisters her size but she was also one of the best controlled.

“I see. I don't really like that answer.” As she spoke Vera moved to support Julia and placed her hand over the woman's chest. Feeling and listening to her heart beat she found herself frustrated by the changes in Julia's body. Her heart simply didn't beat the same way a humans heart beat. Given the massive alchemical and mystic changes to her body this was to be expected but it was still frustrating. “I should have paid more attention to your base line condition before I began sparring with you and been more careful with your warm up.”

Julia was about to respond whenever Vera picked her up and began to give a close visual inspection. It would have been upsetting being handled like this if she hadn't seen Vera do the same to other sisters. Vera was superbly aware of her ability to kill another sister even if she lacked strength like Mina's. A well placed punch could be just as deadly as one that carried overwhelming strength. She knew that Vera was smelling her looking for any hint that she might be bleeding internally. Like she was looking for further discolorations in her skin other then the bruise. “Vera I'm a necromancer I can assure you that I'm fine.”

“That is very comforting but I don't like to take peoples words on such things.” After a few more moments Vera set Julia down. “I can't see any alarming damage but lets get some water and food in you now. I noticed while we were sparring you seem to be become dehydrated. I assume that the alterations to your skin has influenced the way your body removes heat. Exactly how is that working out anyway? I know that making your skin a better insulator has to influence your ability to cool yourself.”

Nodding her head Julia began to walk towards the medical supplies and food Vera had set aside. “I don't generate as much heat as I used to. Part of the transformation was learning to better utilize my own energies after all. This includes the heat my body generates naturally. Think of how a fire mage can drain heat from the environment and concentrate it into a single location.”

“I see. So your body makes better use of chemical energy then it used to.”

“It's also better at converting mystic energy into chemical energy. In an environment with sufficient mystic energies I wouldn't even need to eat. I assume this was for when the spirit hunters were traveling through the shadow realm and couldn't risk eating anything.” As she spoke Julia didn't want to tell Vera the cost of making her body so much more durable. The stronger something was the less likely it was to be damaged. In the same turn though the stronger something was the harder it was to repair when damaged. The bruises Vera had given her would take two or three times as long to heal as they once had or significantly more energy.

“I see. How goes the documentation of your training procedure?”

“Would you like to read through it?”

“Would I understand it?”

For a moment Julia went silent as she smiled up at Vera. “It wouldn't surprise me if you did. You've spent a lot of time protecting our brothers from themselves and other sisters. You seem to have a pretty good grasp of magical theory at the very least and when someone is about to do something foolish.” Vera had been one of the most cooperative sisters whenever it came to the changes in the society despite being one of the more protective. Likely she had seen the danger that the sisters posed to the brothers well being by making them soft long ago. 

“Shush. They get nervous around you if they think you know what they're talking about.” A slight giggle escaped Vera as she picked up a cup of water and offered it to Julia. In truth both women knew it wasn't an offer. Vera was prepared to hold Julia down and force the water into her if she had to. “I brought some salve in the event that I cut or bruised you too badly. I'm guessing you're resistant to that as well.”

“Yes for the moment. In theory I should be able to train my body to freely accept beneficial magics. Unfortunately from what I've read that's only a skill developed by some of the most advanced spirit hunters.” As Julia spoke she was fairly certain Vera was going to use it on her anyway. It wasn't as if she would fully resist the magic. Yet the influence wouldn't be as nearly as pronounced for her as it would be for another human. As she considered the chemical changes to her body though Julia wondered if she would be considered human anymore.

“Well resistance isn't immunity. Now don't worry Julia I treat everyone who I'm just learning to spar with like this. Well unless they happen to be an inconsiderate, frustrating annoyance who needs to set her tail down for a while. Now Dan assured me that this was some stout stuff.” As she spoke Vera had already retrieved a small glass container with a thick dark green gel inside of it. She had asked him for something strong but not extremely rare. It was suppose to be something they could afford to use fairly intensively.

“Aren't you worried it would have lost its potency?”

“No. It's a fresh batch and was made to last. Okay let's see. Well let's begin with your arms.”

Nodding her head Julia extended the arm that wasn't holding the cup first. As she felt Vera rubbing the gel against her skin she flinched. She could feel the magic radiating from the gel but it wasn't the soft cooling touch of healing most expected. This was a violent push into your being and body. The magic within the gel gripped flesh, forced blood to flow and remain within its bounds while pushing and pulling muscles and veins back into the proper position. “It's a bit on the aggressive side.”

“Yeah that's why he said they have plenty of it.”

“Huh. I thought Dan wasn't handling the alchemy shop anymore. His skills were considered too important for other projects.”

“He isn't. But he spends a lot of time in the citadel now and still has access to all the supplies.”

“I see.” Vera had to bite down on her lower lip as she felt the gel continuing to work. Had Dan truly made this? She knew the brothers could make some potent healing potions but this was a bit beyond that.

Alaina currently leaned against the far wall of the training room. Her white fur blinded nicely with the stone and her solid stance made her appear as little more then a shadow. A bit of magic moved throughout her claws as she worked to heal Julia through the gel. She would see to it that the gel contained within the citadel was augmented for healing purposes. Alaia gave her head a slight shake a moment later as she felt another protector already seeing to the tasks. Instead she would go to spend some time with Ridon as soon as she was done observing Julia's training.

While Vera looked Julia over she settled down next to her in part to provide something for Julia lean on. “So when are you going to beat down some of the sisters currently undergoing martial training in order to force them to accept you as a full sister?”

“You think I could?”

“Well I wouldn't put you up against my students but I believe you could handle any of their students.”

“Are your lessons not traveling down the line as well as you hoped they would?” By now the pain was becoming tolerable. It wasn't as if the pain had diminished. Julia could still feel the gel working. She had a few moments to adapt to it so she was able to think strait again. When a spell went wrong you didn't always have time to consider the pain so you learned to deal with it quickly and still think.

“Unfortunately I can teach my students to fight but I can't also teach them to teach. So my plan for each one of them to become a mentor to even more sisters has not progressed the way I'd like. It doesn't help that several of my students have become distracted. That's what I get I suppose for picking such promising sisters to begin with. I should have started with unrefined clay instead of working with gold.”

“They're trying hard aren't they? I thought that Mira's students were doing well.”

“They are just not as well as I would like. Anyway, whats your next plan in your development as a spirit hunter? Your body sure has come along way.”

“I need to redevelop my ability to actually use magic now. Thanks to the changes to my skin I can only effectively exert a mystic influence on the world through my voice and through my eyes. Unfortunately whenever I was learning necromancy I mostly used my fingers as the main point of focus. Now I can barely make a skeleton stand up with what I'm able to do through my fingers. On the plus side a fire spell that would have burned my skin to ashes doesn't even sting anymore. Then after that I need to begin working on slipping into and out of the shadow realm more effectively. If I'm going to hunt unwanted spirits that's a requirement.”

“Then can the selected brothers begin training as spirit hunters? It sounds like you'll have everything you need at that point. The ability to use magic, a toughened body and the ability to actually pursue your target would seem to cover all the bases for a hunt.”

“Yes. Then I can pass what I've learned on to others but that isn't the end of it. If we were talking about the original Luvarians such abilities would simply mean you're ready to begin hunting with the more experience spirit hunters. In other words I'll be one of the weakest spirit hunters they'd actually allow into the field. After that would come extensive lessons on the different types of spirits and how to exploit their weak points as well as making some spiritual contracts.”

“You mean make deals with them like the shamans?”

“Yes. The spirit hunters didn't just hunt spirits for the Luvarians. They hunted for and nourished other spirits they had contracts with. They even have records for some spirits living in the forest that they consider good ones to contract with. They make mention of a wolf named Night Fang but they also mention clearly that isn't his true spiritual name. They even have a description to insure that you don't get a lesser wolf spirit claiming to be him.”

***********************************************************************************

As Dremera was packed by her mother she continued to reach for her father. Unfortunately as she had grown larger and heavier it had become more difficult for Dan to pack her. To make matters worse the young sister didn't realize that she was becoming heavier so she was now fighting Mina trying to get her dad to pack her. As she felt her father take hold of her tail the young sister wrapped it around his arm and settled down. If he couldn't carry her then she could at least hold onto him. Her tail being abnormally long for her young age was proving to be beneficial as she settled down and looked towards Joseph who was now leading them. A soft hiss escaped her though she made no move to strike him. She felt no hostility towards him but hissing at him felt like the natural thing to do.

It was impossible for Mina not to giggle as she looked down at her daughter and heard the hiss. Dremera had been nice to Joseph sense their disagreement had been settled but she still hissed at him. At this point Mina simply believed Dremera liked hissing at him after becoming used to it. “I hope you grow out of that my little one. Hissing is not the way we show someone we don't mean them harm.” As she spoke Mina lightly rubbed behind the young girl's ear bringing a happy squeal from her.

Dan kept an eye on Mina's legs as they walked. It would have been easy for her to run off and leave them or in his case drag him along with Dremera's tail wrapped around his right arm. She was careful in her movements though. Instead of stepping and then stopping she moved her legs very slowly. By the time her foot actually came down he had managed to walk far enough that when she stepped forward he'd still be beside of her. She didn't seem to be thinking about this but he wondered if she was able to maintain this pace due to practice or if it was some kind of instinct. Little sisters learned to interact with their brothers at such a young age it was hard for him to be sure given that they were all constructs as well. “Are you sure she's not just telling Joseph to wait until they're alone?”

“Because us being in the room ever prevented her from attacking him?”

“Well we did stop her attacks.”

“You don't want to hurt Joseph anymore do you Dremera?” Mina gave a slight giggle whenever Dremera gave a happy squeal. She still liked it whenever people she liked spoke to her and tried to speak back. “See?”

Joseph, “Hey Mina when do young sisters tend to learn to speak? I mean Dremera has been developing so rapidly physically.”

“Really? I thought she was developing right on time for an infant sister.”

Joseph, “Sorry. I meant compared to a human.”

“I see. Well our bodies develop much more quickly then a humans but our vocal cords are a bit of a different story. You see we can actually learn words before we can speak them due to the positioning of our vocal cords. They'll shift whenever she's about a year old and well by then she'll probably be ready to say simple things.”

“A year? That's all the time they need to learn to talk?”

“No! That's the time they need for their vocal cords to shift.” A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she looked down at Dremera. “She already knows some basics of speech. Joseph, Joseph, Joseph.” As she repeated the word the third time Dremera seemed to understand what Mina was saying and pointed towards Joseph. “Good girl Dremera. Now Dremera.” Mina gave another light chuckle as Dremera immediately pointed to herself. “You're such a smart girl Dremera.”

As Joseph watched the display he was reminded of how stubborn Dremera was being when it came to attacking him. It wasn't that she didn't know not to attack. She chose to ignore her parents wishes until Dan had made it clear they're friends. “That is impressive. Anyway, this is about the right spot to show you what I wanted to.” Joseph had waited until they were past the barrier much as he did with Maria to mention their location. He wanted to make sure no one else could hear what was being said. Even if the citadel prevented sound from traveling far the barrier was another level of safety.

Dan, “What do you mean?”

“Just look at the markings behind you.”

Both Dan and Mina turned around. Mina felt her heart skip a beat before she turned back to Joseph. “We're past the barrier.”

“Yes and so you know. It isn't that the barrier is down. That was Maria's first guess to. They're working fine as well. A few months back I was approached by a protector who brought me here and revealed several things to me.” Joseph wasn't surprised to see both Dan and Mina looking rather shocked. Dremera was looking around and seemed to pick up that something strange was going on but she didn't seem to know what. It was surprising that she didn't see fit to use this as a reason to hiss at him.

Dan, “That's remarkable! Why did the protector approach you though? How did she even indicate to you that she wanted to show you something?”

“Dan they can talk and quite well. Actually rather then me explaining this I want to introduce you to one of them. Her name is Naidra and she's the one that told me all of this.”

***********************************************************************************

Mina knew she'd seen the protector before. She'd noticed her keeping an eye on Dremera from time to time. The fact that Dremera was trying to go over to the protector confirmed this. Somehow the young girl had learned to trust her. Now Mina took a moment to clear her voice before speaking. “So you're saying that the citadel which you are in many ways part of decided that Joseph was a Luvarian?”

“That is correct. Once that recognition had been made we lost the capacity to keep him out of certain regions of the citadel. Rather then risk him happening upon this by accident and revealing it to others before they were ready we chose to confront him and ask him to keep the secret. We had no means of forcing him to follow such a request but it was our best bet. He's been quite cooperative about that though he has been pushing us to let others know about the secret.”

“I see. So you really have been keeping an eye on Dremera?”

“Yes and I must say. Your daughter is one of the most energetic balls of destruction that I've ever cared for.”

A slight chuckle escaped Mina as she looked down at Dremera who was looking up at her now. Dremera did tend to get around. “Does that mean I can set her down now?”

“Feel free.”

Nodding her head Mina bent at the knees and lowered her daughter to the ground. Dremera got the message and quickly adjusted so that her feet touched the floor. She didn't think to look at Joseph who was positively staring to see the young girl standing already. The fact that she was already tall as a very short adult woman was even more surprising. “You faelom grow very quickly.”

Naidra, “Yes they do.” Naidra kept an eye on Mina, Dan and Dremera as Mina stood back up. The young girl still seemed to be staying near her parents but was clearly looking around. She knew that this was a part of the citadel that she hadn't been before.

After a short bit of silence Dan had to speak up. “So Naidra if we're on talking terms does that mean we can ask you for more direct assistance? You mentioned that you tell Joseph when something wouldn't work and I believe you've brought others books.”

“Well I don't have to assist you in the same way I'm compelled to help Joseph but we will. Now before you even ask. If you wish to be recognized as Luvarians yourself you're going to have to move beyond just trying to duplicate what you've learned about. You're going to have to start creating. This does not guarantee you will become Luvarians but it is a step in the right direction. If during the act of creation you hit upon the right path we will let you know if you're recognized as a Luvarian. For now Joseph has asked us to grant the two of you access to every area he can permit.”

“Well thanks Joseph. Now does that mean I can ask for even more powerful books?”

“Yes. Just keep in mind due to the nature of Joseph's request and the fact that he made it every mistake you makes reflects back upon him. The same goes for your successes as well. In many ways you might say you're his students.”

Dan actually grinned a bit as he looked at Joseph. The two of them actually knew about the same amount of alchemy but Joseph had showed a proficiency in applying it that Dan lacked. “Oh sure just because he happened upon a new revolutionary paths of study he gets to be the teacher. You just wait Joseph.”

Naidra, “I look forward to you bringing greater power for the Luvarians.” By now Dremera had began to wonder around and Naidra reached out with her tail quickly running the tip of it against the young girl's legs. The immediate response was for her to leap forward in an attempt to take hold of Naidra's tail. Naidra easily pulled her tail outside of the girl's reach and gave her nose a quick brushing the moment her grip met with only air.

Mina, “I'm not an alchemist or mage though. Since you brought me here does that mean there is a reason for me to be here?”

“Well.” Naidra had to push her laughter off on the other protectors as Dremera was now eagerly trying to capture the tip of her tail. The sound of the young girls claws meeting with the stone floor rushed throughout the room. “One reason you're here is so that we can better work together to provide your daughter with the utmost care possible. Another reason is because Joseph wanted more people to know the secret. We'd also like to begin training you as well.”

Now it was Joseph's turned to be a surprised though less so this time. “Naidra do you intend to train every sister I bring to meet you?”

“It was one of our rolls before the separation. We don't plan to extend this to every sister but Mina and Maria both have the mental qualities and loyalty that we're looking for in students.”

Joseph, “I thought you said you never teach.”

A slight chuckle escaped Naidra as she rewarded Dremera for her persistence by allowing the young sister to finally capture her tail. Dremera wasted no time gripping the appendage with her hands and kicking at it with her legs. Much as with Mina's tail Dremera's claws just glided harmlessly over her fur and tail. “What we intend to teach Mina and Maria aren't mystic techniques. We intend to help them to develop. Now Mina I'm certain that you're aware of Joseph's success with his glyph. Now that you're no longer with child don't you believe that it's time to begin training with it as well?”

“I. Well yes I should begin. Especially if you're going to be taking care of Dremera while I'm training.”

“Well I assure you she'll be well taken care of. As I'll be the one seeing to your lessons though that task will be given to another protector.” As she spoke Naidra lifted her tail in the air with Dremera still holding tight using her legs to attack it. The fact that Dremera showed no issues maintaining her attack even whenever she was held upside down was more a result of her play with Mina then anything else. “Mina you've done a wonderful job of conditioning Dremera's body for such a young age.”

“Thank you but that isn't me. She has so much energy it's her that gives me an exercise most of the time.”

Joseph, “Hey Dan now that you're in on the secret they're also some books that I want to show you. I've been trying to refine my glyph to work more effectively or come up with some other means of improving upon the learning process and I could use your help.”

“Trying to keep me as a student are you!” Dan had a large grin on his face even as he accused Joseph of trying to hinder him. The notion of seeing areas of the citadel that had been locked off for hundreds of years had him quite excited.

“No! You should know that.”

“I do. Sure I'd be glad to take a look at whatever books helped you with that design and see what I can do. Personally I think we need to start teaching them to cast some low level spells once they learn to resist the glyph's influence. Perhaps they could learn to store energy by not allowing their bodies to use it then use that store energy to cast a spell.”

Naidra didn't know which one was making her smile more. The site of Dreamera hanging upside down from her tail looking back at her defiantly or Joseph and Dan's conversation. It was so nice to hear a Luvarian and an apprentice freely talking to one another again. If they were fortunate it would be two Luvarians speaking to one another again before long. Even if their rank would still be quite low it was a wonderful concept.

Mina could still feel her adrenaline pumping as she moved to stand next to the setting Naidra. “So you really have been helping to keep an eye on Dremera?”

“It was one of our primary responsibilities a long time ago. The faelom needed to be able to perform their  rolls but they also needed to know their children were safe. In order to avoid a conflict we were tasked with safe guarding them. It was always a pleasure. Some of the children were more difficult to handle then others but those problems could be managed.”

“Yet my Dremera really is one of the most destructive?”

“I wouldn't put her in the top ten but I would put her in the top ten percent.” Naidra looked away from Dremera who she was now lightly moving across the floor forcing the child to hold on tighter. “You have gotten her off to a fine start in life and I'm certain she'll make for a powerful keeper in her own time. If you still adhere to such titles. I do recommend some more discipline though so that she may channel that energy.”

“I don't know. I believe she's already very good at channeling her energy. She just channels it into aggression or affection. I'm not sure if there is an in between.”

“You make a fair point.” Reaching out Naidra gently took hold of Dremera and removed her from her tail. Instead of offering her to Mina though she gently held the sister against herself with one hand and used the other to tease her ears and nose prompting Dremera to try to swat her hand which always moved away half a second too soon for the young sister to achieve. It was just close enough to provoke her to try harder but not close enough to allow her success. “I was very happy whenever you decided to return to the citadel. Without any young faelom or true Luvarians to tend to there has been a large gap in our purpose.”

“I see but then why didn't you speak? We were not worthy?”

“Worthy? I wouldn't say you were worthy or weren't. There was a time when we spoke and the faelom and apprentices of that time tried to force answers from us. Whenever they began trying to use force we had to make a choice on how to handle the situation. Our solution was to simply go silent and spend most of our time in the regions of the citadel they couldn't reach. In time they came to believe they'd activated some security feature that prevented us from talking. That became the belief that we were unable to talk. In truth we were fighting a very intense desire to kill several of them.”

“Even with your instinct to protect?”

“Killing them we believed would serve to protect the whole but we couldn't be certain of it. Now Mina as you live within the citadel it would be very easy for us to begin training you. I believe that we should start with early morning exercises that will enliven you throughout the wrest of the day. We'll provide you with additional help taking care of Dremera while you recover. It will likely take a few days for you to adapt to our training methods. Fortunately for you I've already began my own adjustment period by training Maria.”

“Is that why she's grown so much over the last month!”

“It is in part.”

For a moment Mina said nothing but looked towards Joseph and Dan. They were already talking about theories and what this could mean for alchemy and the sister's bodies. Typically their bodies drained the magic from a potion before its real affect could begin. They seemed to believe there could be some hope if the potion wasn't made to empower directly but rather to better something. She chose to push aside the notion of killing a brother Naidra had mentioned so casually. She could already smell these weren't quite the same as the sisters even if they were closely related. “So you want to do the same for me?”

“Well that and I like to train any sister who has managed to reforge her body while she slumbers. Your mutation restricts you though. It hinders your skill as there is so few who can survive your strength. I look forward to providing you someone who can endure your strength so that you may sharpen your skill. I am after all even stronger then you are.”

“Truly?”

“Yes but I can be weaker to. We have more control of how we direct the energies going through our body. If I was to devote all the energy I could to speed I would become weaker in some ways.” Naidra had to move her head to the side as Dremera seemed to forget her hand and take a swipe at her nose. “So you go after the person the hand is attached to if you can't get the hand. That's good thinking but I do fear you haven't properly grasped the difference between play, training and actual combat.”

“I think she's grasped the difference between a sister and a brother and that's something of the problem.” As she spoke Mina extended her hand to Dremera and allowed the young girl to attack it. Clearly her daughter had plenty of energy or perhaps she detected that she wasn't the center of attention at the moment and was now fighting to regain it. Mina knew that she had spoiled her daughter with the amount of attention she lavished on her as well as the other sisters. After a war in which they had lost sisters though Dremera was the best distraction anyone could hope for.

“You make a good point. Okay little one let's see what you truly desire.” As she spoke Naidra placed Dremera on the ground. She wasn't surprised whenever the young girl proceeded to look around for a moment before latching onto her leg quite tightly and attempting to bite her. “Mina I'm afraid that you've conditioned your daughter to believe that ever sister can play with her the same way you do. I assure you if she was to bite a standard faelom in the way she's biting me now there would be blood and perhaps even tissue loss. Yet I have also seen Flora handle her while visiting you. Dremera do you simply understand that your mother and I are different or do you believe Flora is different?”

“Flora has that I'm going to spank you if you misbehave again look. I think that's why she behaves with her.”

Both Naidra and Mina were made to chuckle. The fact that the moment Dremera released her hold on Naidra she dashed over to Dan on all fours was quite cute. Especially when the young sister wrapped her tail around her father's right leg while hiding behind him looking back at both Naidra and Mina. Dan didn't even seem to notice it whenever he began to rub his daughter on the head. Her rapid visits had become so common to him that his body responded on instinct. “I wonder if that behavior is going to progress into adulthood.”

Mina, “Hey you said you raised lots of sisters. Shouldn't you know these things.”

“Yes I have and when you raise as many sisters as I have you learn that they are all quite unique. They are some baselines of course. We all share a similar genetic programming but the way the spirit can influence that programming differs a great deal. I believe your daughter wants to be chased.”

Looking to Dremera Mina noticed the way the young girl was looking back at her from around her father's legs. She had a large grin across her face and the tip of her tail was flicking about. Clearly she intended to use Dan as a barrier. That or perhaps Dremera was trying to make her nervous by saying I'm with daddy and you're not in her own way. It was enough to make Mina chuckle and lowered herself to her hands and feet. “Okay young lady I'm coming for you.”

***********************************************************************************

Markus was glad that Mirara was near by. None of the distrusted were looking at him but he could practically feel their dislike. The fact that one of the benefits of being forced into the system was that they were allowed to put on a little extra height didn't help matters. They were still no where near guardian rank or even the same size as a guardian before the bloom had been provided. This meant that Mirara made them look positively tiny. Currently the distrusted were busy tending to the their gardens. The room had been chosen due to its massive sky light and how easily it'd be to convert the counters into planters. At times he expected one of the distrusted to try to break through the skylight and escape. “Very well done Azera.”

There was no immediate response from Azera as Markus commented on her work. Her face didn't move in the least and she knew not to say anything rude with Mirara near by. Yet part of her felt a slight bit of pride at having her work acknowledged. She didn't like to think of that. After years of being ignored or pushed away by the keepers though it was rare she'd heard a positive comment about her work. Even the other distrusted tended to be to focused on their anger in order to comment on the accomplishments of another. As she felt Mirara's presence though Azera chose to speak up. “Thank you.”

For a moment Markus just looked on. It was rather disappointing that she didn't have more to say. Azera's responsibility was a large crop of tomatoes that were doing quite nicely. Even if the environment was controlled it was clear that she was putting extra work into researching and providing her crop what it would need to grow. Other distrusted seemed to be of the belief that tending their gardens was somehow submitting to the brothers and thus did the absolute minimum that Mirara would allow. He had a feeling that if they didn't improve their work habits she would simple raise the bottom line to force them to. The feeling of Mirara gently brushing him aside caught his attention as she lowered herself to be closer to eye level with Azera.

“You've been very careful in the tending of your soil and to make sure you give your tomatoes the right amount of water and at the right time. I've noticed a few of your fellows just dumping water onto their plants. Do you think you could lend them a hand? I'm sure they'd benefit from what you know.” Mirara knew this wasn't truly the case. The reason most of the distrusted simply dumped their water near or on top of their plants was they didn't want to know the proper way to water them or simply didn't care. Some of them might even try to ruin Azera's plants due to her success or because she seemed to be conforming. Mirara had every intention of keeping a close eye out for such behavior. Should the others move against Azera she had already resolved to move her to a more accommodating part of the laboratory turned re-education center.

Azera took in a deep breath. She knew the others were looking at her without looking. She had heard comments from the others about the garden. The garden was their food supply though. If they didn't take care of it they'd be even hungrier then normal. She didn't want to bind to the will of others but she didn't want to starve either. There was another problem though. Given the size comparison and how warm her tone was Mirara had a powerful influence over Azera and it wasn't all bad. She felt reassured.  “There is nothing special to it.”

“There is if the others aren't doing it.”

***********************************************************************************

The feeling of her fist striking something solid, very solid indeed, was something that Mina had almost forgotten. There was pain in her hand as she looked to Naidra who didn't seem to be the least bit shaken by the impact. Pain rushed through Mina's body as she felt Naidra slam her fist solidly into her stomach. The force of the impact pushed the air from within her lunges and sent her staggering backwards. “It's been so long since you had to worry about your opponents power that you've forgotten how to roll with the punch. You could have drastically reduced the force of that impact if you had.”

For a moment Mina said nothing but gave her head a slight shake. Normally she'd just stand still and let a sister hit her until it became clear she had no chance. She was going to have to unlearn such behavior. “So how should I go about learning to dodge?”

“Practice naturally.” How hard should she strike Mina? Naidra wasn't entirely sure. If she held back and only made the punches hurt it would be enough to motivate Mina to dodge. She didn't just want to teach Mina to dodge though. She needed to work on blocking and striking as well. One couldn't always rely on dodging after all especially while fighting within a confined space. The two currently stood within the same glyph she'd used to train Maria earlier. “Mina as this is your first session we're just going to have some light sparring. You've seen the influence your punches have on me so you should have no trouble attacking me freely.”

Before Mina could respond a sharp hiss shot throughout the room and both Naidra and Mina turned to see Dremera looking intently. Joseph was no where in the room though. Rather she was focused on Naidra. “Don't worry little one what I'm doing is quite good for your mother.”

“Hold on a moment Naidra maybe this will work for us to.” As she spoke Mina walked over to Naidra and placed her arm around the protector in a gesture of friendship. Dremera immediately set up and gave her mother a confused look. “It's okay honey mommy needs this. You just play with daddy while we exercise.” As she spoke Mina was a bit surprised. She expected another keeper to be taking care of Dremera while they trained. Instead the young girl was setting beside Dan who was currently looking through some book Naidra had provided him. “Dremera has never seen me hurt.”

It was tempting to hit Mina while her guard was down but that wasn't the lesson of the day. Besides she didn't want to set Dremera off. Part of her was still debating with the other protectors whether or not Dremera should truly be watching this. Naidra didn't believe she should. The child was a bit young to see her mother being hit. Others argued that if done right it could be shown to be a form of play which later would make training the young girl easier. The debate was actually taking more of Naidra's focus then Mina was.

“Naidra would it be okay to let Dremera move around within one of these glyphs until she desired to leave?”

“No.”

“Thanks good to know. I was afraid to let Dremera within the circle because I worried how the energy drain might influence her body. Her organs might not form properly or bones might not be as strong as they should be. Even if there might have been benefits it didn't seem worth the risk.” As she was speaking Mina had taken on a fighting stance. She wasn't certain when Naidra would try to attack yet she felt excited. It had been so long since she'd last fought someone she didn't have to worry about accidentally killing. Even matrons had some degree of risk whenever sparring with her.

“Let's resume we can talk during our match.” Naidra was glad that Mina chose to take the invitation and attack. Rather then dodging completely she deflected the attack with her right arm and used her left to punch Mina. She held back to avoid staggering Mina but put enough power into the strike to hurt. She needed Mina to feel a need to dodge and her body to know why. “Those are indeed valid concerns. We also need more experimenting on the adult population before we try such procedures on the younger. So far Maria and Flora have only shown positive benefits but it wouldn't be the first time something entirely beneficial turned out to have side affects.”

Naidra's words shocked Mina though not enough for her to hold still. Rather then just defending she tried to strike her again this time managing to put even more force into the strike. Naidra dodged but whenever she went to counter attack Mina was able to do so as well. Her legs seemed to be remembering the lessons from before she slept. “So we're just test subjects?”

“We are all test subjects. We make the best decisions that we can based on the information we have available. However, until someone has undergone the procedure to completion there is always the danger of the unknown. Would you rather trust in the information Joseph has available and his expertise or would you rather wait until the end of your days as Maria travels down that path?”

“I'd rather be the first one down that dangerous path to be honest.”

“Yes. You seek to be a shield to your allies and a provider. Your body has reflected this desire in your strength. It allows you to be a wall.” As she was speaking Naidra managed to land two more quick hits on Mina. She was speeding up but even after her body had remembered all the skills it could there would still be much for her to learn.

“Ouch.” Mina flinched a bit though she didn't back down as Naidra managed to land a rather painful punch on her right breasts. It was perhaps the first time she'd ever regretted how well endowed she was. “So you're saying that the mutations of our bodies really do reflect who we are to an extent?”

“Well yes. Though some of you don't seem to want to admit this truth. Maria is naturally a striker. She seeks to destroy a threat before it can reach her allies. She wants to charge off ahead. Yet she also seeks to return to her place of comfort as quickly as possible. Her speed is very good for departing, destroying the threat and then returning in a very short time.”

“So what about someone who heals rapidly or Fera's eyes.”

“A deep fear of being injured and not being able to recover from it even with your typically high healing abilities. Your Fera is a natural predator to the extent that nearly everything is prey in her eyes and she must remind herself of the truth.”  

Dremera was currently very focused on the match between Naidra and her mother. As she saw her mother finally land a punch on Naidra the young girl let out a delighted yelp and practically leaped in place. Fortunately for Dan she was setting near him and not actually on him. An infuriated hiss escaped the young girl whenever Mina was struck in return and seemed to get far worse for it. She was glad whenever the fight stopped immediately though she didn't notice her father and mother looking at one another. It was Dan who spoke up. “Mina I believe this is a bit much for Dremera right now. We're going to head to another room.”

“That sounds goods. Naidra there wouldn't be any problems if Dremera looked around with Dan would there?”

“No. One of us will be close to keep an eye on the both of you but we should not need to interfere.” Naidra chose to hold off on the sparring while Dan gathered his daughter up and began to guide her towards one of the exits. He would be able to look around some of the true Luvarians work areas but there wouldn't be any work to be seen at the moment. All of those projects had been cleaned up long ago though the equipment was still there and maintained. “Mina you're doing very well for someone who's currently having their energy slowly drained away and fighting.”

“You believe so? I swear my legs will barely move. It's making dodging very difficult.”

***********************************************************************************

“Hey Nathan you don't believe you're descended from my family do you?”

Nathan almost jumped up from his position on Zarena's thigh and quickly glanced back towards her face. “What?”

“I was just reading the book my brother left me. I'm pretty far in now and he's telling me about a sister he's romantically involved with. I'm kind of surprised and glad. Well I haven't read far enough to see if they actually had any children but you're a naturally born brother aren't you?”

Zarena was very old. Though she'd been asleep during that time she hadn't been the only child of her family. The thought made Nathan feel a bit awkward as he imagined how many brothers or sisters might actually be related to her through her brother even though she'd never had children. “I guess it's possible but not very likely. I never actually took the time to trace my family history that far back.”

A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she heard the concern in Nathan's voice. “Relax! I know we're not close relatives. If we were I'd be able to smell it on you. I'm pretty sure that you come from the same blood line as Briana. You smell heavily of her blood.”

A sigh escaped Nathan before he gave a slight chuckle. “I forgot how aware that nose of yours is. Still it seems unlikely that your brother wouldn't have had some children to carry the line on. Is there anyone that strikes you as a strong possibility?”

“Well a sisters build tends to be something of a family trait. So far though I haven't been able to find anyone that really strikes me as my family's blood. Sure I can smell some relation in a few of them but not like what I get from some of the others. That doesn't mean they're not there of course it just means the bloodline has changed a lot since my time.” As she spoke Zarena couldn't help but chuckle at how concerned Nathan was he might have descended from her brother. It was the type of thing he should have been concerned with before rather then after she brought up the fact.

“So are you saying you think you might be related to Maria?”

“I kind of doubt that one. I know there had to be a sister with a smaller frame in her blood line but whenever I looked at Mira, Flora and consider her scent I am very doubtful that she comes from my line. I'm sure that Flora has the potential to have a lighter framed daughter in her but it had to be the father that brought those aspects of her out. That or perhaps it was Maria herself who's responsible for her light frame.”

“So you think that the spirit influences the body even while she's in the womb?”

Zarena didn't hesitate to nod her head. “Yes. Now it seems that we can influence our bodies the most whenever we're reducing our size. While we're developing or growing our ability to influence our body seems greatly reduced if we have such abilities at all. I can't point to any absolute proof that we influence the growth of our bodies though. It is just a theory whenever we tried to determine why despite being constructs on some level we differ as much as we do from one another. We aren't like humans after all a good bit more of our design is wrapped up in our mother then our father whenever compared to a human.” As she spoke Zarena placed her book down and set up so that she could better see Nathan. He seemed to be thinking what she'd said over.

“Well part of your being is magic and part of that magic is drawn from your spirit itself.”

“Yes. Now what do you think of this. One reason I believe we can reshape our bodies while we're being reduced in size is because we already have all the energy that we need. This frees up the spiritual self to put more energy into reshaping the flesh. While we're growing though or maintaining our current size all that energy has to go to just keeping us alive.”

“That's an interesting theory but doesn't that mean you should have even more adaptations?”

“I don't believe so. After all. How much energy does it take to actually sustain these claws and eyes of mine? Perhaps I've made all the changes to my body that I can.”

“That or perhaps you've made all the changes you can using whatever method you've been using while you sleep. What if learning to shape magic not only taught you how to cast spells but also resulted in you learning how to reshape yourself without sleeping?”

“Now that would be nice. I think one of the first adaptations I'd want to work on is how to adjust my size. This body is great for being a weapon but it is just awful for more delicate work. I want to be able to set with the others in the dining hall. I want to be able to go in your room and see what I need to get rid of.”

“Hey. Hey. What do you mean by get rid of?” Nathan actually chuckled as he looked up at Zarena. He was certain she was kidding. She hardly struck him as the intrusive type. Yet there was always that risk.

“There is no need to get defensive. I just remember from my days at a smaller scale some brothers had a tendency to hold onto clutter they needed help getting rid of.” 

This had happened to other brothers. They would become a sisters mate and then she'd start telling them how certain things in their home stunk. At times they were able to clean these things but other times they weren't and often had to get rid of them. It was understandable. The sisters had a very well developed sense of smell. At times it could be very frustrating though. He remembered brothers complaining about having to get up their favorite mortar or something else they'd grown very fond of. Cloth tended to be in danger of being removed depending on how well it'd been taken care of and how often it had been used. The biggest issue was of course what the sisters considered dangerous. Nathan's mind was drawn back to Zarena whenever he heard her giggling. “Now what?”

“How worried you are. You know I'm from the generation that believed you should be more independent. What has you so worried though? Now you've got me concerned that there is something that you need to get rid of but you're not willing to.”

Nathan's response was to groan as he set his book down. “Nothing comes to mind. So Zarena do you feel ready to spend some time within the glyph?”

“Well it is only with regular practice that I'm going to improve. It looks like we have some company coming though?” As she spoke Zarena looked out over the water. It was fairly clear that it was Maria coming to visit them. The speed at which she tore through the water tended to make her approach rather clear. The fact that with her additional size had came longer stronger legs added even more to this.

***********************************************************************************

Dan and Joseph currently found themselves gathered with the brothers though unlike before they were both now setting with the ranked eight brothers. They were just one section behind Mirin and Nathan while no brother occupied the tenth place. Such a spot was reserved only for their leader. Dan had mentioned to Joseph that he could be that person if he revealed himself as a true Luvarian but that only made him dislike the idea of revealing such things even more. Being given such a spot because of his status within the citadel didn't set well with him. He had been promoted to his current position three weeks after his success with Maria, Flora, Mina and now Mira had become blatantly obvious. He was a bit nervous whenever he considered how the higher ranked brothers were often expected to not just share their thoughts on issues but to actively lead. Fortunately Nathan was currently taking the leadership position at the moment.

“It has been a while since we've gathered like this. Well actually this is the first time in my life span we've gathered like this. Within the walls of the citadel and accompanied by our sisters.” As he spoke Nathan glanced over towards Flora, Mina And Vera. Mira and Maria were both occupied and several other keepers had simply been too busy. Markus had declined to come and so had Mirara despite the importance of their work. “Who would have expected after being forced to awaken a sleeper to handle a threat born from our own forest we'd be even stronger after the event? With this strength has come alot of changes though and more to come. Now it's time to make some choices. Flora if I'm not mistaken work on the market and living areas has been finished correct?”

“Yes. At least so long as no more ground shifts forcing us to make further modifications.” Throughout the rebuilding process the sisters had been forced to learn that even strong ground would shift if the structure was heavy enough. It had caused repeated delays and served as good reason to keep brothers and even weaker sisters away from certain work areas. Flora had actually been forced to act as a support whenever one of the buildings had nearly collapsed.

Mirn took a moment to stand up as he looked towards Flora. “Is this a major issue? I thought we had some people down there helping to make sure the ground was stable.”

“A few brothers were yes. The buildings just turned out to be even heavier then expected. I don't believe we've built structures like these since the library was built. If it hadn't been for Zarena's help we would have ended up causing some real damage to the forest in search of the stone I imagine. Well depending on how much stone we were table to take from the infected lands. How goes the clean up in that region anyway? With the orcs and brothers handling so much of it I've been a bit out of the loop.”

Nathan, “It has been a head ache. We have burned the region to ash and then tried to burn it again just to be certain. The orcs have slowly churned the earth calling upon the spirits to do so and tried to purge those spirits that the Amalgam touched. The orcs and brothers working with them have been working long and hard to reduce the region to its base state so life can retake it. Despite that growth in that area has been very slow. One of the major issues is our own though. Do we allow the forest to take the region as it sees fit or do we try to make into how we believe it should be.”

Mina, “Well the orcs are helping What do they think should be done?” As Mina spoke her mind was still focused on her daughter. Naidra was currently watching her. Being able to talk to the protector did  a lot to help Mina relax but she still didn't like being apart from her daughter. In some ways she was beginning to better understand why Stella hated to leave Allen alone so much.

“They want to offer the region to natural spirits that have favored their tribe in the past and help them claim dominion their. I have to say they've made some compelling arguments for it. Unfortunately the changes in that region have had a ripple affect throughout the entire forest. I doubt we can stop that from happening at this point. Fortunately with our new food sources we've been able to cut back on the demands we put on the forest so the two influences seem to be canceling one another out for now.”

Dan, “Any changes we make to that region though even now is going to send more ripples throughout the forest though. We need to make sure those waves are constructive ones.”

Mirin, “That is true. So what do you think?”

For a moment Dan went silent as he considered the situation. He felt a little strange whenever he found himself looking past the brothers and to a protector that was observing the meeting. He felt even stranger whenever she recognized that he was looking at her and gave her shoulders a slight shrug. He was hoping for a yes or no but it didn't seem like she was going to get the answer he wanted. “Julia what are your thoughts on the matter?”

“Doing a favor to certain spirits would likely benefit us and could benefit the entire forest. Unfortunately they're some risk to it as well. In my studies I read how the spirit hunters had dealings with the predatory wolf spirit Night Fang. We could make a deal with Night Fang but if we strengthen him other spirits of predation will be weakened and lose ground to him. This could result in the numbers of those predators in the forest falling as the number of wolves increases. Even if the wolves fill in the gaps for those missing predators we might lose a resource due to their absence.”

Nathan, “So the question is. Can we help one spirit without harming another and in doing so harm the forest as well?”

Julia gave her head a slight nod. “Asking Night Fang not to expand his influence isn't natural for a spirit either. So the question is. Do we want the spirit of the wolves in this forest growing more powerful then he already is? If not. Then what spirits do we want growing more powerful? Given that the Amalgam consumed some of the spirits of the forest we  know that there has been a shift in its shadow.” Julia expected that she'd be asked for her thoughts on allowing Night Fang to grow more powerful. It was a question that she didn't want to answer. Her study of the forest spirits was far from complete and she didn't want to make judgments on them yet.

“I see. Then what would you recommend.” Nathan felt a little awkward as he noticed Julia chuckling in response to his question. The way she shook her head and the half smile on her face told him a lot. “I believe you didn't want to be asked that question.”

“Not in the least. We do need to decide on what's going to be done with that region though.”

Dan, “It seems to me that the best thing we can do is let the forest retake the region naturally. The shift in the forest has already happened that was the Amalgam's doing. If we allow the forest to recover on its own though it should have the smallest impact. If we intervene we have a greater chance of creating further reaching changes. That is if we want to try to maintain the forest as it already is. I'd personally like to see us take steps to make it a little less hostile.”

Julia, “Any suggestions?”

“I was thinking. Why don't we relocate some dryads that are willing to relocate to that region? We then could speak to the orcs about encouraging the development of certain more beneficial spirits. The Luvarans organized this forest so that it would be suitable for gathering resources. They didn't want to risk anything being pushed out of the forest so they designed it very carefully but in doing that they tried to make it stagnant. The fact that they failed and new plants and animals have developed here actually seems to suggest their skill with creation exceeded their skill with control. How about we try to set the region up so that the forces of the forest have an area to really create?”

Nathan, “That does sound interesting but it could end up creating something that destroys the wrest of the forest.”

“That's why we need dryads and other balancing forces in the region to keep that from happening. Sure anything that's truly successful will then spread and change the forest but change with purpose can be a good thing.”

Mirin, “That's true. I believe we've seen that for ourselves especially considering how desperately we tried to hold onto the past techniques and what that cost us.”

***********************************************************************************

“Okay you're going to need to read this. It details theories and methods for the creation of a mystic vortex and concentration points in a natural environment. Your decision to ask the dryads to help control the system was well thought out but you're going to have to make sure they fit within the system and have an idea of what they're doing. Plus you're going to have to make sure they like the idea of being part of such a system. Now allowing the natural magic that runs throughout the forest to reshape the plants and animals that live there but still guide it is very tricky. These books should help with that.” 

Dan took in a deep breath as he looked at the books before him. “So how many of these books are not available to apprentices?”

“They all are available to apprentices.” Naidra couldn't help but chuckle as she noted the surprised look on Dan's face. “You had a great deal of knowledge available to you for a long time. These aren't the type of books one would look for while trying to replicate the sister's original energy system or maintain the forest. I'm not the least bit surprised how few of you have read even one of these books and even less surprised that you never thought to combine them using such methods.”

“I wonder. What do you suppose these techniques could do if applied to a plant that isn't natural?”

“That is up to you to research and determine.”

Dan gave his head a nod remembering what Joseph had told him about the protectors. They would prevent him from doing something foolish but they wouldn't stop him from trying something that won't work. They will provide him with the books that he needs but they won't tell him exactly what information to look for. They'd point you in the right direction but wouldn't tell you what path to take or even if you should take one of the paths or just charge into the trees. “Well what do you think of our plants for the devastated region?”

“The forest was designed to meet the requirements of the Luvarians. Those requirements have changed. In its time this forest didn't just sustain this guild hall. It provided nearly all the valuable biological materials for every major guild hall and most of the smaller ones as well. Those guild halls are no longer being factored in which has caused the value of certain materials to shift.”

“I see. So you're saying that the forest needs to be changed to meet the new demands of the Luvarians?”

“I am saying no such thing. I am of the opinion that some changes to the forest would be acceptable. Yet maintaining the forest as the Luvarian's had intended has served the community well for a very long time. Not in that order.” As she spoke Naidra took the book Dan was holding and began to stack them on top of one another. “Read from top to bottom in order to make sure you get the full understanding of what you seek. It would be wise to write down the question you most want to answer and then examine the chapters to see which ones truly apply to what you want to know.”

“Huh? I thought you said you didn't teach.”

“I don't. I'm keeping you from reading the books incorrectly. It isn't as if everything contained within each of these books relates to your efforts.”

How far could he push this? If Naidra was willing to tell him what books to read would she be willing to tell him what pages he should read? It seemed worth finding out at least. “Naidra if you don't mind could you make copies of the pages that are actually relevant to my studies?”

“I could if you want me to copy every book here.”

“Huh? But you just said that not everything in these books relates to what I want to know.”

Chapter 42 by happiest_in_shadows

“Yes I did. That doesn't mean I know what you need to know. If I was to pick what I believe you should know I would have to make assumptions as to what you already know. I could accidentally leave out something vital and you may not realize it until it was too late. I may also not realize they're other bits of information you could use that perhaps do not relate to your immediate question but could still benefit you. I may also end up trying to teach you something that is completely useless to you.” Naidra continued to smile. From the expression Dan was giving her she believed he understood.

“That makes sense. Couldn't you examine my past work and use that to get an idea of what I'm capable of? I believe that would let you figure out or make a good estimate as to what I know and don't and thus what I need to know.” Dan grinned a bit whenever he heard Naidra chuckling.

“My you're determined.  Unfortunately no. It's not as if we've never tried to function as teachers. We can in truth do so if the knowledge you wish to acquire is already somewhat familiar to you. The further down the path of knowledge you seek to travel though the more difficulty we have teaching it. If you for example wanted to know how to make an alchemical potion that grants remarkable regenerative abilities while within close enough proximity to a proper energy source I could teach you that quite easily. The more steps you wish to take though the more likely we are to make a mistake and lead you down the wrong path. What you want to know now is just too many steps for us to consider it worth the risk.”

“Then what was the sister's original energy source?”

“A trip up a rocky mountain path.”

For a moment Dan went silent though he found himself grinning more. “Are you serious about teaching me to make such a potion?”

“I take it that means you wish to know how.”

“I just might. What's the advantages.”

“Typically a much longer functional life span and even better healing abilities. Unfortunately as it draws its energy from an external power source the area in which such potions will work is rather limited.”

“We're going to have to talk about that later. For now I should get to examining these books and find out what I'm really looking for. Thank you Naidra.”

***********************************************************************************

It actually felt a little strange looking down at Vera. Maria could still remember all the bruises she'd taken from the sister during training. She always seemed the knowledgeable one. She was the one with experience and everyone else was working to catch up. Now Maria was suppose to be guiding her through learning from the glyph and she felt utterly out of place. Especially as she watched Vera working. “So Vera how are you feeling?”

“I feel as if something is pushing against my skin and even trying to get underneath it. It is very unpleasant. Like standing among several decaying corpse and you just know that the stink is going to sink into your fur.” Even as she spoke Vera continued with her exercises. The protective layer of stone between her and the glyph gave her some freedom to move. The relatively small area limited what she could do so she found herself mostly working on strength training. Her right thumb currently pressed against the stone supporting her body as if she was laying on her side on an inclined surface. She had to be careful not to toss herself into the air as she rapidly lowered and raised herself. “You know it would be nice if we could place one of these beneath a pool of water.”

The site of Vera's arm working despite her odd position reminded Maria of how well conditioned her body was. Sisters were far stronger then human's naturally but Vera seemed determined to leverage her body in the worse possible position to get the most out of her exercise. Despite her efforts Maria didn't get the feeling that they were really working. A sister's body tended to be very strong compared to their weight and Vera's body was well trained. It made it hard for Maria to imagine how much water training Kersara had to do in order to reach her current level. “I'll ask Joseph about that. So do you need a hand?  Remember to imagine you're pushing that stink out of your body.”

Vera gave Maria a large smile. Her mental conditioning had left her well prepared for such training and she didn't think the advice was necessary. She still welcomed Maria's intent. “I imagine myself as preparing for a match against Mina and how much I'd need to strengthen my body to hope to defeat her. Especially given that she has a head start on me. I just feel so restrained while trying to train in here. I'm glad that you realized putting a stone slab over the glyph would make it so that we could be somewhat active while in here.”

“Thanks but I'm pretty sure that was Nathan's idea.”

“Well just the same I'm grateful for it.” Before continuing Vera quickly switched arms and sides. “I'm just having such a hard time getting my heart rate up staying still like this. I'm more used to strapping additional mass to my body and then forcing myself to run and move at top speeds in order to train my muscles. If I put too much weight on the stone it'll break and destroy the glyph so I can't do that now. I'm a little curious. Maria do you need to be entirely within the glyph for it to take affect on you?”

Maria was suppose to help sisters learn how to use the glyph. Unfortunately Vera was asking her a lot of questions that she didn't know.

“Ridon could you handle this one?”

Currently Ridon was helping to make sure the glyphs stay awoke. It was quite an easy task and he found himself more focused on his reading then observing them. Maria's words easily snapped him back to the world though. “Help with what one?”

“Vera wants to know if the glyph has to contain her entire body to be effective.”

“I'm afraid so. Why?”

Vera, “Oh I was just thinking. It would be nice if the glyph could be made into a form of clothing that we could wear. That way we wouldn't be so limited in our movements once it was awoken.”

Ridon, “That could be tough Vera. The ink would respond to the thread and that could throw the magic completely off. That could end up being a serious redesign even if the entire person didn't have to be contained within the glyph.”

“That is understandable. I was just thinking it would be nice if the glyph could come with us rather then us going to glyph. Now Maria I was told that you were working on training without the use of the glyph but clearly you returned to it. Exactly what happened to change your mind?”  The weight of a sister's body just wasn't enough to provide the type of resistance they needed to train past a certain point. Vera tried to compensate for this by working extremely rapidly and it did have some influence on her. Yet the difficulty in maintaining a stable position and working at such speeds was troublesome as well. She needed to be able to move if she was going to truly have her heart moving or she needed something that could provide some resistance.

“The glyph is a tool that starts you down the right path but once you begin going down that path you don't need it. That said. It really helps to have the tool along. The rate at which I progressed improved greatly once I began working with the glyph once again. So as far as testing goes. Continuing ones training without the glyph is an option after you know what you're doing but it really helps if you continue to use it.” As Maria watched Vera she felt tempted to try to tackle her. She had some extra height on her now and thanks to her training with Naidra her combat skills had improved a lot. It was possible she wouldn't even need her speed to beat Vera now. At least that is what Maria hoped but no part of her actually believed.

“Is there something you want to say Maria? You have other students you may wish to tend to.”

“Ah well there is but it can wait until later.”

***********************************************************************************

“So you're not lieing just to make me feel better?” Zarena kept a close eye on Nathan and listened to his heart carefully as she waited for a response.

“No. There has been a three percent reduction in the amount of energy that you're pulling from the system since you began your training. Isn't that amazing? Now I don't know if you'll ever be completely independent but still. I know that Mirin and the others were quite surprised to see such results so soon.” As Nathan spoke he couldn't hide his excitement and he didn't want to. The less of a drain Zarena put on the system the easier it was to justify keeping her awake. Even if no one thought much of the subject anymore he knew that she did. Now that she was showing progress there would be no reason for her not to stay awake.

“That is.” Zarena went silent for a moment. She could feel her heart rate speeding up. She wondered if Nathan could hear it pounding in her chest as she considered the implications. Her face nearly split in half as she smiled. “That is amazing! Oh!” Zarena couldn't help but clap her hands together before reaching down for Nathan. Her had blocked her view of him for a moment but she could feel his presence as she took him within her grip and lifted him to her face. Her hand turned so that her palm faced upwards and her fingers opened up while she continued to lift him towards her face.

It was rare that Zarena so lost her composure that it translated into physical action. Even now Nathan could feel how careful Zarena was being by how gently her fingers had pressed him into her palm and the acceleration of her hand upwards. It was still rather disorienting and there was no way for him to stand and meet her lips so instead he found himself pressed against her palm and the softness of her lips. Reflexively he took in a deep breath and pressed his entire face against her lips as he felt some light suction on his body.

It was only a few percent but it was enough to make Zarena feel a rush. The news had stirred powerful emotions within her and she just wanted to thank Nathan. As she felt his body pressing against her lips other emotions were excited as well and she held him against her lips feeling his body pressed against them a bit longer then a thank you required. Her smile hadn't diminished in the least as she pulled Nathan away and looked down at him smiling up at her. “That really is amazing. So have you made any plans for what you're going to do with all that extra energy?”

“We're currently directing the energy into the new dining hall. You haven't been by to see it have you?”

“No. I've been a bit too nervous to return to the village now that so many of the repairs have been finished. Plus my home has been keeping me rather busy. A bit of the northern section broke of under the stress of me walking around and I had to repair it. I can't say I was surprised but the further I get out to sea while working on my little island the harder it is to keep together and build it up.” As she spoke Zarena glanced out over the water.

Nathan visited Zarena quite often so he had noticed the missing chunk of land. There had been no real reason to ask her what happened. With every step Zarena either compacted or destroyed the stone she walked upon. Apparently one of the corners had reached its limit. He was rather frustrated that there wasn't much he could do to help her. The amount of stone Zarena had been forced to gather from the ocean bottom was far beyond his ability to truly enchant. “I wonder if I could make something to help hold your home together. Not like a net mind you but perhaps a mystic focus point that would imbue the stone with additional strength.”

“Nathan the goal is to direct this energy away from me not to find a way to direct it back to me.”

“Well it may need to happen eventually. We're still looking into ways to make better use of the life bloom and several sisters have began learning to direct more mystic energy into their body like you. What are we going to do with all that mystic energy whenever there is no one to make use of it? “

“You really believe that day is going to come?”

“Well maybe.” Nathan gave a slight shrug and stood up on Zarena's palm. Even whenever she moved her hand she kept the motion so gentle that it was typically easy for him to walk on. “It is amusing. Those of us who moved into the citadel don't plan on returning to the village even though it's been repaired. Yet it still feels like we're retaking the citadel on some levels. The spirit hunters are returning. We have a wonderful new energy source and now you're becoming less dependent on external energy systems. It feels like we're returning to the old times. We even have the energy to dedicate to bringing the distrusted back into the community.” Nathan felt Zarena's hand shiver slightly at the mention of the distrusted. “I take it you're not entirely for that still.”

“It's hard Nathan. Now don't get me wrong. It's wonderful that you're showing the distrusted this mercy and giving them another chance. Mercy is a beautiful thing whenever it is guarded by reason and sound judgment. Which considering that you seem to be making progress on the reform of the distrusted you're using reason and good judgment. It's still hard for me to know about such sisters and do nothing about it.”

“You did though! You scared them so badly that they while some of them are being difficult none of them have resorted to openly complaining about their situation.”

A slight chuckle escaped Zarena after a moment as she considered what Nathan said. “I suppose that is true. It isn't the type of thing I'd actually want to do but for now it'll be sufficient. I'm glad that you believe the project is making progress but I still expect something to go wrong. I also worry about how you're going to handle such sisters in the future. I hope if nothing  else this project sends a message that such ways of thinking are not acceptable and not welcome.”

“So do I especially if the average sister continues to become even larger and more powerful.”

There was a moment of silence in which Zarena found herself looking back towards the village. Talk of modern times brought up memories of the past and she had to wonder. “How much energy do you believe you'll need to begin waking up other sleepers?”

“I'm not sure. It depends in part on what the sisters want to do. The life blooms are still growing though and the amount of energy they're producing is still increasing. If you can free up enough energy we could wake up another one. So you really need to have this island of yours large enough to handle a room mate. If that's what you want to do. Another option is you could begin working on another island that would be large enough for a sleeper to live on.” As Nathan spoke about Zarena's home he actually felt a bit awkward. In truth Zarena's island wasn't much of a home. There was no shelter on it. Zarena simply stated that the heaviest rain was little more then a fine mist to her and such a structure would be difficult to build.  She didn't have a place to cook or anywhere other then the ground to set. The only thing he noted was a little storage area she'd made by hollowing out a large stone to hold her few belongings.

“I'll have to work extra hard to cut back on my energy needs. Now have you put any work into developing a spell that could help detect a sunken ship? As I've been looking for a few days now and there is a whole lot of ocean out there. I kind of doubt my chances of finding any sunken ships without some help.”

“It is not going as well as we'd like. I suppose that's why mages aren't constantly locating such ships though and recovering them. As far as short distances magic behaves pretty much the same in water as it does in air in most cases. The deeper the water goes the more difficult it becomes though. Hey Zarena you've mentioned how big the ocean is a few times. Do you ever fear that there might be something out there even larger then you that might try to make a snack of you?” Nathan actually felt himself shiver a bit as he imagined a monster large enough to turn Zarena into a snack. Such a creature would truly be worth fearing.

“Heck no! With claws like mine?” As she spoke Zarena extended her claws so that Nathan could see them better. “These little death dealers don't just cut flesh. They shreds ones spiritual being within the body. I'm a lot stronger then I look as well. We all are you know.”

“Ah well you have me there but you know the Luvarians created other masterworks.”

“That's true but I like to imagine if I ever happen upon another Luvarian construct they'll recognize me as a sibling and we can begin on friendly terms.”

“Ah ha! So you admit there could be some monster out there more fearsome then you are.”

“Well yes. I'd be foolish if I thought I was the most powerful being in existence especially whenever they're several other sleepers so near by.”

After a moment Nathan gave a nod. He could understand where Zarena was coming from. The Amalgam had tested her but he couldn't truly imagine the creature defeating her. At times he had to remind himself that Zarena and sleepers in general weren't beings that could stand on their own. She was dependent on a very large amount of energy being provided to her. Even the Amalgam had to sacrifice its followers in order to challenge her even for a short while. “Do you believe there could be something more dangerous then you that doesn't have some kind of support system?”

“Sure. Just think of some of the other things the Luvarian's made in their time. That said I doubt I'm ever going to meet such a being. Nathan you're sounding a bit worried.”

After a moment of silence Nathan nodded his head and moved closer to Zarena's wrist so that he was closer to her face. “I suppose I am. The entire Amalgam event has me a bit concerned now that things seem to be calming down. We really do need to find some more metals anyway. I'll go check on those working on a spell to help you look for any sunken ships and see if there is anyway I can help.”

“That sounds good but what have you been working on?”

A sigh escaped Nathan as his mind turned back to his work. After the incident with Mirin losing some of the flesh from his hand they'd had to rework the energy system a bit. That had taken even more of their depleted supplies. “I'm still working on the life bloom. You see we never really considered what would happen if you suddenly stopped using as much energy as you were. The system had to be redone to handle sudden changes. Before that I was helping with the study of the dead sisters. Joseph's new glyph has heavily influenced that work as well. I haven't had any time for my own project.”

“Oh?  You have something of your own that you're working on and you haven't told me about it? Well that isn't right.” Now Zarena lifted Nathan closer to her face once again making sure that each words washed over him. She liked the way her breath tended to ruffle his clothing and the way he leaned into it.

“Yes. Well there is only a few of us working on this as I'm still a little unsure about the entire thing. Joseph experiment with the life bloom got me to thinking. We know what happens when a sister uses a normal magical item but what about a magical item that was grown? I've been trying to find a way to weave other spells into plants and a few of us are even looking for a dryad that would be willing to attempt a joining with one of the life bloom's.  We're not certain what the final outcome will be so we're keeping it a bit on the quiet. We'd also like to have some spirit hunters on hand in the event things don't go quite as planned.”

Dryads power tended to be shown by their tree. Often this meant the larger the tree the more powerful the dryad yet it could also be represented by the strength of the tree and how durable it was. There was also some dryads powerful enough to cause their trees to take on mystic properties. The fruit of these trees might augment or weaken the person who ate them for a time. Weapons made from such trees could be remarkably powerful. Now Nathan was thinking about attuning a dryad to a tree that was already mystically attuned and hoping to craft magic items from it. The thought made Zarena grin. “Okay that sounds like it could be dangerous.”

“Yes. That is why we'd like to have some actual spirit hunters at the time. I don't think we'll be able to wait if we find a willing dryad though.”

***********************************************************************************

It was hard for Zarena to be certain how she should feel. Maria had found her shortly after she'd began going out to sea. They still hadn't found  means to help her with ship hunting but Maria had something to tell her. Now she'd been told that the protectors were speaking again but only to certain people and they needed to keep it quiet. Currently Maria was setting upon her shoulder while delivering the news. Part of her actually wasn't surprised by what she'd been told but she was curious. “Does that mean you're going to be introducing Nathan to them soon?”

“He and Mirin should be soon to come. After all they could likely benefit from the extra knowledge.” Maria had told Zarena that Joseph had been introduced to the protectors but she made it sound as if someone had came before him. Which according to Naidra they had. Ridon wasn't recognized as a Luvarian but they had spoken to him first. For now Joseph wanted to keep the fact that he was considered a Luvarian a secret. “They seem to believe that we won't make the same mistake that made them decide to go quiet in the past now.”

“I believe having made significant progress to solving our problem ourselves has had a lot to do with their decision as well. This this is wonderful news Maria. Oh how I wish I could go speak to them but I'd be a little too obvious to keep this quiet. Hm Maria have you asked them if they had any means of locating or detecting sunken ships? The entire time I was hunting the ocean floor for good stone I didn't come across any ships that caught my attention. Even one large treasure ship could help us out a lot. Each time Nathan visits me I hear a little bit about how low we are on precious metals.”

“Huh. I hadn't heard much about that. I can sure ask them about any means of locating ships. Actually I haven't asked them a lot about what resources they may have.” It was strange to Maria how calm Zarena was. Then again she seemed to have a higher opinion of the protectors and what they could do then most. She had heard stories about them that likely hadn't been heard for hundreds of years. “Hey Zarena you're taking this very well.”

“Well to be honest Maria the life bloom was a bigger surprise to me then this. I always expected that they could do more. Now don't miss understand me. This is wonderful news and it speaks very well of our progress. That or perhaps they believe we're going in the wrong direction and have become desperate to direct us back down the proper path.”

“No. No. I've seen what happens and felt what happens whenever they decide you've began to go down the wrong path and decide to intervene.” Maria wasn't too surprised whenever she felt Zarena shaking lightly as she began to chuckle. Given how Zarena had handled the social issues of the society she supposed that Zarena would tend to empathize with them whenever she considered the situation.

“They had better be gentler with the apprentices then they are with us at least! I might have to say something if they get rough with Nathan.”

“They are. Besides the types of thing they're helping me and the other sisters do are a bit different then the way they're helping the brothers. They bring them tools that they can use or books they'd find useful and at times they tell them when something wouldn't work but that's the limit of it. They're not teaching  them how to use magic exactly. On the other hand they're helping us to really train our bodies while they can.”

“So they expect you to surpass them?”

“No!” Maria couldn't help but laugh a bit at the notion. Nothing Naidra had done indicated that she expected to be surpassed. Maria didn't know if she would mind being surpassed but it was clear she didn't expect it to happen. “I might grow too large to fit within the citadel.”

“Okay that does sound more realistic.” As Zarena considered the protectors speaking again she couldn't help but smile. She hoped that Nathan would be introduced to them soon. There was pain despite that news. Part of her wanted to speak to them. The protectors had been there since the beginning if what her mother had told her was true. She had some questions of her own that she would have loved answered. “Now you make sure you tell me whenever you're finally ready to let everyone now. I intend to be there.”

“I'll make sure of it.”

***********************************************************************************

Mina couldn't help but smile as she carried Dan. Currently Dremera was holding onto her and looking down at her father. Her tail lay across his chest. “Daddy has been working very hard hasn't he Dremera?” The young girl didn't make a sound but looked at her mother and continued to smile before looking back towards her sleeping father. Mina watched as her daughter's tail tip flicked lightly and she suspected that the young girl was resisting the urge to tease her father. Given all the time Mina spent teasing Dan with her tail and Dremera used hers as something to play with it was often how they showed affectation. Dan had apparently lay down to wrest his eyes for a while and ended up falling asleep instead. The table he was working at was covered with paper, books and notes.

Alaina couldn't resist looking towards Dremera for a moment before looking back to Dan's work. So far he was well on his way to developing a suitable system. His ultimate goal being to create a mystic cauldron that would constantly be resupplied by ingredients from the forest naturally and produce new plants and animal life in doing so. He was currently working on a design that would maintain such a flow and would regulate the type of developments that it yielded. It would be naturally occurring random experimentation with a purpose. Alaina had no way of knowing how often it would produce results or how good they'd be but it seemed to be a worth while experiment. “When he wakes up you can tell Dan that I see no danger in his plan thus far. They're still some issues to work out but he is well aware of them.”

“How do you know?”

“He has it written right here. On these notes he marked as things that could go horribly wrong.” Alaina couldn't help but grin as she pointed at the three sheets of paper in which Dan had detailed his concerns and in some cases noted them as being resolved. “If only every Luvarian had been so strait forward with their documentation.”

“Some were?”

“Some.”

“Hm.” Before speaking Mina took a moment to look down at Dan again. “Well what about the list of things that might go a little wrong.”

Alaina allowed herself to laugh as she picked up one of Dan's notes. “He covered that in his rules of magic. When dealing with magic of this magnitude and over this time period there is no such thing as a little wrong. It's his third rule down from the top.” The fact that Dan had felt the need to write himself such a note was exceptionally amusing to Alaina. It was a thought that probably would have saved quite a few Luvarians in the past. It might delay one project but the issues that such a thought would have avoided would have likely saved time and led to better developments in the long run. This seemed extremely likely whenever she considered the Luvarian's collapse.

Mina found herself walking over to Alaina and looking at Dan's work. It had been a while since she'd seen him really working like this. He had become comfortable in the alchemy shop even though he tinkered from time to time and wrote theories. Part of her was glad to see him working like this again. It may have been that he had grown too comfortable. “So Alaina tell me. How close is my Dan to becoming a true Luvarian?”

“I'm not sure if he's learned to truly love the act of creation or enhancement at this point. We need to be certain that if all the problems were solved. If your hunger was removed and your safety insure we need to know that he would still seek to create and augment. Before he allowed himself to grow too comfortable and honesty that hurts his chances of recognition. The fact that he can settle and be happy where he is like that just isn't in the nature of a Luvarian.”

It was strange. Alaina was being friendly and just answering her question but Mina still felt herself becoming angry. She didn't like it whenever others spoke poorly of Dan and the suggestion that he had lost some of his initiative didn't set well with her even if she couldn't disagree with it. “So no Luvarian was ever truly content with what they'd made?”

“Some became content with their progress down one path but soon they would find another. The only ones that truly became content were the ones watching their project develop or the ones that died.”

The notion made Mina shiver a bit. She wanted Dan to be recognized as a true Luvarian and have all the rights that went with it. Did she want to share him with his work though? Did she have to share him with his work though? As Mina looked at Dan she found herself wondering what would happen if she became his project. Joseph had his work with the glyph and trying to end their hunger. What if Dan could figure out what caused their mutations and how to trigger them without them going to sleep? Perhaps he could figure out a way to reduce their size without them having to go to sleep. Both goals were quite massive and surely would deserve some recognition. “Thank you Alaina. I'm going to take Dan back to our room where he can rest more comfortably. Ah one thing. Alaina do you know of any techniques to extend the life span of a human?”

“I know of over a dozen with different levels of effectiveness. I assume that you want to stay away from undeath.”

“Yes that would be strongly preferred. Would you be willing to share that information with us? I don't speak to Dan about it but.”

“The faelom tendency to outlive the apprentices is a source of much pain for you. Give us a little time. The preservation of the lives of the apprentices is in part our responsibility and thus protecting them from time is one of our goals. I'm debating your question with the others now.”

***********************************************************************************

Dan wasn't certain what to think of Mina's question. Could a sister be allowed to change without having to be put to sleep? It hadn't been done before but a lot of things were being done now. Unfortunately he couldn't seriously look into it until he finished his design for the new section of the forest. Well his proposal. He wasn't the only one working on the projects but the others didn't have access to the same tools or information he had yet. Dan gave his head a quick shake and reminded himself that they actually did. Naidra had told him that the books he was using were in the apprentice library. He did have a few tools they didn't have though which included Naidra herself. Currently she was working on putting together a model of the section of forest he was working on.

Naidra had a large smile on her face. Even if Dan was just an apprentice it was great to be helping with a project again. She had helped Joseph and still was but Joseph couldn't keep her or the others busy all the time. They still had far more free time then they ever did while the citadel was still busy. She easily molded the clay using her claws and fingers while infusing it with magic to simulate the area Dan was working on. He wanted to test his theory in small scale before trying it on the large scale. He had asked her if there was any tools that could simulate this and seemed quite surprised whenever she told him that she could easily make him a model of the area. There was actually a model of the entire forest but that was reserved for other uses.

“So Naidra how good is this model you're working on?”

“It isn't perfect. This one won't be perfect at least. It won't simulate the interaction with every rock or every tree but it will be fine for theory testing.”

“Like cutting yourself and drinking a healing potion to insure that it works.”

“Perhaps if you tested the healing potion some other way first to insure that it wasn't actually a toxin. Is that one of the methods you learned to test your potion?”

“It was whenever you're in a hurry and working with something you're not quite sure of. My mentor always said to make sure you have a healing potion you can put your confidence in and a potion to remove toxins from the body in the event things didn't work quite as you planned. I never actually used that method. Well I never used it right away as I prefer to avoid poisoning. There were a few times I came very close though.”

“Oh? I only started learning of you whenever you came to the forest. There is of course the stories you told Mina as well.”

“Really? How many of those did you hear?”

“We're only aware of a few. We can watch you from the citadel but listening to you can be a bit trickier. The further away from the citadel you are the more difficult the task becomes. Our awareness is such that well. I'm sure you remember the now distrusted brother.”

“Yeah. Did you know about him?”

“There was too much going on at the time. We knew that he was an undesirable of course. If he had come to the citadel before I'm not certain we would have tolerated his presence. We weren't aware of his actual treachery though until your own investigation began.”

“What would you have done if we hadn't figured out who it was?”

“Well we were debating if we should kill him ourselves. In the end we resolved that should your investigation fail we would place a few hints to lead you back on the correct path. That said the odds of you figuring out what had happened was actually quite high. We had little fear that you would fail. Our biggest issue of debate is what might be done with the offender.” Naidra stopped for a moment and looked at her work. She had reshaped the large chunk of clay so that it followed the same layout as the now cleansed region and infused certain sections of the clay with different types of energy. This energy would simulate the influence of large numbers of trees or a large body of water whenever it came to the energy that was directed into it. “Dan I am nearly finished with the model. Once I'm done you need to tell me what changes to make to it then I can simulate the natural flow of the forest's energies.”

“Thanks Naidra. Having a model to experiment with should speed up my work a great deal.”

***********************************************************************************

“Allen?” Pera felt more then a little strange as she looked down at her friend. With everything that had been happening and her new responsibilities she'd had less time to spend with him. It didn't help that Allen was much busier with his studies now as well. What surprised her the most though was that had drawn a glyph on the ground and currently there was a small orb of light floating around him. He had a massive smile on his face as the orb of light flicked about. “What's going on?”

“Pera! Isn't it neat!” It was hard for Allen to contain himself as he dashed over to his friend. The fact that sister's tended to disrupt sustained magic affects had completely left his mind. He didn't need the bit of light to last very long anyway.

“Yeah but what is it?”

“It's called dancing lights. Normally a mage cast it but you can do the same thing with the right glyph. It's really easy to make.” As he spoke Allen pointed towards the roughly drawn glyph on the ground. The magic was fairly low level which meant even an apprentice spell caster could do much of the work of casting the spell in their own mind. He didn't feel confident casting it that way but he knew he could handle it with just a rough glyph to help guide the energies.

Allen could cast spells. Her Allen could cast spells. The thought actually made Pera's smile grow all the larger and her heart rate speed up. She only realized what she was doing whenever she'd taken hold of Allen and lifted him so that they were eye level. The feeling of her lips pressing against his cheek sent an even bigger surge of energy through. “So you're a real glyph user now?”

“Yeah! Well sort of. I can do simple ones at the moment. Mom is making me learn defensive glyphs and support glyphs before I learn any of the good stuff. I see where she's coming from though. If I can put up a resist heat shield that can hold off a torch then learning to create a candle light should be no trouble. Oh you wanted to know what dancing lights does? Well it sort of does what it is doing now.”

“So floats around providing light?”

“Yeah I know it's not much but.”

“It's still neat!” As Pera watched the dancing light she could see that it was growing dimmer. “So have you timed how long your light last whenever you're not around a sister?”

“Yeah. I tend to average between twelve and fifteen minutes at the moment.” Allen gave the light a quick look and knew that it hadn't reached the twelve minute mark. Learning to sustain a magic spell in the presence of a sister was going to be difficult. “Julia still helps me out every once in a while and my mom seems to have finally relaxed. I think she even likes the fact that I'm learning protective spells. I just worry how she's going to respond whenever I have to test them in a more serious environment.”

“Oh she won't like that one bit!” As she spoke Pera glanced down at the glyph Allen had created. She didn't bother to set him down but bent at her knees so they were both closer to it. “So have you had to make any glyphs of your own yet?”

“Sort of. I had to figure out how to make a glyph to draw heat out of something but I really can't say that it was my own design. I mean it was already in some of the books I'm studying as a basic glyph. Now here is something I thought was neat. They're these glyphs known as general purpose glyphs. One example given was one that can be used to create nearly any elemental attack spell you can think of. What many people don't understand is that these glyphs put a lot of stress on the caster as the user of the glyph has to handle processing a lot of the magic.”

“So it's like?”

Allen found himself biting down on his lower lip as he tried to think of a none magical comparison. “It's like saying some bore and vegetables is a meal. With most glyphs all the ingredients are already in a pot and the mage just applies the heat or the magic. In the case of these general purpose glyphs though  you have to know what to select and how to combine it in the glyph or what we might call the pot before applying the heat. A general purpose glyph is a big mess of ingredients setting on the table as well as the pot and the energy the glyph user provides is the fire. Now you can't make something that calls for an ingredient you don't have but there is a lot you can make.”

“Did you really have to make that a food comparison?”

Allen actually felt a little awkward as he noted a change in the tone of Pera's voice. She suddenly sounded colder and less excited then she did a moment ago. “Huh?”

“You made me hungry!” A delighted giggle escaped Pera as she held Allen more tightly against her body for a moment. “Would it be alright if I took you to the dining hall to eat some? Your mother isn't going to come back and find you missing then track me down to yank my tail off is she?”

A slight groan escaped Allen as he considered what Pera was asking. Stella would be coming back to check on him before long. It had been quite some time since he'd been to the market though. “My mom should be home pretty soon and then we could tell her where we're going.”

“I swear. Most sisters would just assume another sister had come by and picked you up especially when she didn't smell anything strange and with all the distrusted locked up. I mean don't you think you're getting a little old for her to be watching over you like this.”

A sigh escaped Allen as he shook his head. “Yeah. It has become a little bothersome. I believe she knows but well just look at the way you're holding me.”

Rather then put Allen down Pera glanced towards his home. “How about we just leave your mother a note? That should be fine right?”

“I believe so. I admit I'm curious to see the dining hall. How has the food been lately anyway?”

A low groan escaped Pera despite her best efforts. With so few hunting the food hadn't been what they were used to. With so many brothers leaving in the citadel there had been other problems as well. “Well I'm not going to have you eating kobold. It's been awful! We had some sisters hunting but mostly we've been trying to eat the kobolds before they went bad. Of course, those kobolds left out in the open began to decay months ago but blast it we had some in storage. It was the easiest meat to gather after the conflict after all. We didn't want to add anymore burdens to the forest either.  We finally have some fish from the new shore village coming in though and I'm eager to try some.”

“That sounds great. I believe when we went to the waterfront was the first time I've ever tried salt water fish before. Pera how are the others doing though?I haven't seen you with Terima in a long while.”

“We're all doing fine. There has been a lot of talk about the new techniques Joseph developed with that glyph. We're all pretty nervous about it especially after hearing them talk about how it feels. I mean I heard that even Vera complained about the sensations she experienced while using the glyph for the first few times and she hardly complains about anything.” Pera didn't bother setting Allen down as she carried him into his home. Given that Allen was practicing using glyphs there was paper already readily available. “Okay Allen are any of these glyphs a flop you wouldn't mind me writing on?”

“That one about half a meter away from your foot. I made some big mistakes with the lines.”

“Really? It looks fine to me.” As she spoke Pera picked up the paper. The glyph looked perfectly drawn to her. The lines were nice and clean and clear.

“Some of the lines are way too thick and many are too thin as well. You see that blob near the edge?”

“Uh. No.” Instead of waiting for Allen to point it out Pera lifted it so he could reach the peace of paper. The blob he was speaking on was just a smudge on the outer edge near the center of the glyph where the pin was likely held down too long. “That's it?”

“That can make the difference between a glyph catching on fire and the magic actually working.”

“Catching fire?”

“Well yeah. You're directing energy into the glyph after all. If it isn't shaped correctly it still has to go somewhere. Typically this results in the glyph and the material it was placed on being destroyed. Then my teacher starts telling me how the ink can make a huge difference as well as does the material the glyph is written upon. Typically the more powerful the glyph the more sensitive it is as the magic has to flow just perfectly.”

“But I've seen other brothers just draw them in an instant. They've even drawn them in the dirt!”

“Yeah but they know how to compensate for the glyph's imperfections.”

“I thought you were only working with very robust glyphs at the moment though.” Pera actually found herself feeling a little alarmed though she tried to hide it. She didn't like the idea of Allen working with something that could end up taking his hand off or worse. The idea of him being burned didn't actually make her comfortable. She tried to keep this concern out of her voice. She didn't want to sound like Stella especially with the way the sisters were trying to let the brothers develop their magic more and be more independent. Her protective instincts were still telling her to push the issue if he didn't answer her.

“I am. I was under the influence of a really good protective glyph whenever I was working on that one. Even if something had gone wrong I would have been fine. My mom was pretty much looking in on me every five minutes to make sure I was alright.”

“I see. She can't stand to have you out of her site can she?” Despite her best efforts Pera felt herself grinning. She didn't want to let on to Allen how relieved she was and she didn't want to sound like Stella but she felt better knowing she was watching over him and he was protecting himself. “So what would that glyph have done if it had worked?”

“It's suppose to boost the users physical traits. It'd let them heal a little faster, make them a little stronger and that sort of thing. In any given area the increase would have been pretty small but the overall affect should have been quite nice.” By now Pera had found a pin and began to write on the back of the paper. Allen for his part found it a little strange to place his arm around Pera the same way he had done his mother a few months back. She'd grown a lot since then. She wasn't on par with the current guardians but she was on par with the protectors of only a year ago. When it came to Stella it felt like he had reverted several years in age rather then her growing. At least whenever he compared his size to her. Despite her increase in stature Stella was trying hard to give him more space.

“I guess that minor increase is for protection as well.”

“Yeah. If you boost one aspect of the body it can end up killing the person. Take for example if you strengthen the muscles but not the bones. Someone could easily end up shattering their own bones. The strength increase this glyph would have provided would have been on par with an adrenaline rush and that's pretty much it. A pulled muscle is pretty much the only serious risk even if something goes wrong.”

“Well clearly we need to find something safer for. Hay!” Pera gave her head a light jerk to the side though there was little she could do as Allen flicked her ear. She wasn't willing to set him down and instead began to lightly jerk her head around trying to avoid his fingers. Unfortunately with the way she was holding him there was little chance of that. “Stop that!”

“What where you about to say? Huh?” Allen had a big grin on his face. He knew this wasn't hurting Pera. However, due to how sensitive a sister's ear was they tended to hate it whenever they were flicked. He wasn't sure how it sounded but apparently such actions generated a noise they found rather annoying.

“Okay. I take it back. I take it back!” Pera couldn't help but chuckle whenever Allen stopped flicking her ear. Rather then be content with that though she quickly turned him to the side and lifted him higher extending her tongue and pushing the tip of it strait against his ear. His entire body locked up for a moment and then he gave an annoyed shout before trying to push away from her.

“Hey! Ah quit it!” Allen didn't hold back as he tried to push away from Pera. Unfortunately at the moment there was little that he could do. That didn't mean he considered the contest over with. He'd just have to wait for the right opportunity. Perhaps he could acquire some spices that Pera simply couldn't stand the smell of. At times he thought about carrying such spices around with him but he never got around to it. This was mostly because Pera never annoyed him quite that much. “Don't make me plot my revenge!”

Pera gave a slight giggle as she finally pulled her tongue back inside of her mouth. “I was just cleaning your ear.” As she spoke Pera made a detour into the washroom and retrieved a bit of cloth to clean out Allen's ear. “You have to keep those ears of yours good and clean you know. Besides you taste good. You know if I get any bigger I might end up sucking on you like the sweetness you are.”

“I swear I will cover myself with the most unpleasant oils I can.”

“Ah! But don't you want to be my little sweet heart?” Pera made certain to make herself sound more hurt then she was. She wasn't certain if there was an oil bitter enough to keep herself from licking Allen though especially if she was that large.

“Let's just go eat.”

***********************************************************************************

Dan, Joseph and Ridon found themselves all rather busy reading through various books, writing down notes and waiting for a few experiments to finish. Each one of them was currently in charge of a part of the project. Dan had to make sure the potion could survive within a sister's body. Making sure the various components could hold together despite the harsh conditions of a sister's body was proving quite difficult. Joseph was working on insuring that the potion itself would respond to the amount of mystic energy contained within a sister's body and Ridon was trying to make sure the potion could transfer this information to the sister. Ridon's training in necromancy under Julia actually gave him a slight advantage in designing a system that would let a living being detect changes in energy.

Alaina was keeping an eye on the three of them. She was rather proud of Ridon at the moment as it had been him that suggested working together. Joseph had mentioned his idea to them and the simple truth was that they could finish all three projects quicker by working together rather then separately. He did seem to be having some trouble though as she noticed him rubbing his forehead. He didn't even notice it whenever she came to stand behind him and looked over at his work. Unfortunately Dan's plans to make the potion durable enough to last within a sister's body was hindering certain means of sending information to the drinker. Currently Ridon seemed to be trying to come up with a way to augment a sister's natural awareness of the energies flowing through her body. “What are you looking for?”

“I'm looking for a spell that makes a necromancer more aware of their undead servants and their condition for about a day and a half. Julia showed it to me a while back as something many necromancers cast first thing when they wake up in the morning.”

“Most necromancers? How would she know what most necromancers do?”

For a moment Ridon stopped working and smiled up at Alaina. “Okay well perhaps we don't know what most necromancers do. Still it seems like a good practice if a necromancer actually had undead servants.”

After a few moments of silence Dan placed his book down and looked away from his notes. “Okay I need to rest my head for a little bit. Hey Ridon, Alaina there is something I've been wondering for a while now. Do you two ever go out into the forest? I mean I know it's easy for you to sneak around in the citadel and all but perhaps you'd like to get out every once in a while.” Dan had actually been very surprised whenever he learned that not only was Ridon in on the secret before Julia but he was in a relationship with one of the protectors. He hadn't seen enough of their behavior together to be certain but it seemed clear Alaina gave Ridon more attention then she did anyone else. Dan also found himself thinking about the stories of Ridon receiving unusually nice meals.

“Ridon and I have been outside of the citadel a few times. He was rather insistent that that we go visit some of my favorite locations so he could see them for himself.”

Ridon smiled at Alaina as he set his own notes down. “Unfortunately some of the locations weren't like whenever she painted them. Some of them were clearly different due to the season but others had been changed in more dramatic ways. There was this one tree that had three different types of flowers growing up around it. The way they weaved around the tree in the painting was just beautiful but when we found the spot the tree had fallen over.”

“Likely the flowers had choked off enough of its nutrients and stolen enough light over the years that the tree died.” Alaina gave a slight chuckle whenever Ridon shot her a rather annoyed glance. He didn't like it whenever she talked about the beautiful flowers as if they were the killers of the tree. Yet they both knew that this happened quite often in the forest. Beautiful in such an environment could easily mean deadly.

“It was just as likely the doing of animals roaming throughout the area or a storm miss negative.”

“Even if it was the tree would have been weakened by the flowers making it more vulnerable to those storms or animals. Thus they are still at fault. You are aware that those flowers are parasitic in nature after all.”

“I wasn't until you told me.” Despite his words Ridon was smiling. Ridon had seen the way Alaina and Naidra burst people's bubbles and the way she burst his was just different. She was more light hearted whenever shattering his dreams and beliefs. At times she even built up his beliefs rather then destroying them. As he had come to know her she'd done a lot to build up his belief that he loved her and she loved him. “Come on Joseph put the book down. I've seen you staring at the same symbol for five minutes now.”

A groan escaped Joseph as he did as Ridon said and rubbed his head. “This is such a head ache. Dan I have some ideas as to how we could make the potion more responsive to smaller amount of energies within the sister's body but it's going to require some reworking of its durability aspects.”

“Okay but keep in mind that if you try to change the structure of the water elements or the resistance to chemical solvents the entire chain holding the solution together within the sister's body will have to be redone resulting in more changes.”

“I know and these should avoid doing that but other things will have to change.” Joseph took a moment to look away from his notes and take in a deep breath. Despite the difficulties they were having it was amazing how much progress they were making working together. “So Dan how are things going with Mina now that she's began training with Naidra? I imagine this is the first time in a long time she's been fighting with someone that she could actually hit back and not worry about killing.”

“She's loving it. I think she even enjoys the pain but I believe that's going to wear thin before long. She's determined to spend as much time training with Naidra as she can to sharpen her skills. The big issue is that she's already taller then Naidra. She's worried about how much longer she's going to be able to fit in the citadel given the results your glyph has been showing.” All three of the men went silent as they heard Alaina chuckling. When they looked towards her she gave them a large smile.

“You do not need to fear that. If need be we can continue your lessons outside of the forest along the waterfront perhaps.”

Dan, “You mean you're not worried about Mina becoming too strong?” Dan actually felt a bit silly whenever he noticed Alaina's smile.

“Allow me to explain. Much like the sisters we aren't capable of sustaining our own bodies with our current abilities. Though we hope to fix that by making use of the techniques you've developed Joseph. Unlike the sisters we have our original power source. Now our power source was always weaker then the one provided to the sisters. However, there has always been many more sisters then us. While the production type faelom numbered in the hundreds and stood dozens of meters tall we only numbered in the dozens and stand barely over four meters tall.” As she spoke Alaina pushed her body to use more energy. Her cells were made to call upon more energy, her muscles tightened and swelled and her senses sharpened.

A ripple affect seemed to flow through the room. It was as if they were standing near one of the primary paths from which energy in the life bloom chamber flowered. It was the result of the citadel directing energy into Alaina. They could feel it. Ridon couldn't help but ask. “So how powerful are you Alaina?”

“You could compare anyone of us to a sleeper whenever we are fighting at peak potential which we do not stay at.” As she spoke Alaina stopped drawing on so much energy and allowed her body to relax.  “The difference being that I'm a much smaller package and I have other protectors to spar with to develop my abilities. You can let Mina know she doesn't have to worry about losing her sparring partner anytime soon even if the location has to change. Though I admit there is no way we'd spar with her in the forest even now. The damage to the vegetation and terrain would not be acceptable.”

Joseph, “Alaina just what are your limits then? How far can you travel?”

“We suffer a signal degradation the further we move from the citadel. In general once we're eight kilometers past the forest edge you can consider us cut off from our source and going on what we can store in our bodies which is not much. If we conserve our energy I would say we have roughly forty five minutes of active time beyond the effective range of our energy source before we'd collapse and well die. Not that our bodies would be destroyed they could easily be recovered and taken back to the citadel but the being within this shell would be gone.”

Joseph, “Hm. So you can visit the waterfront then. Have any of you gone to take a look at Zarena's home? Actually I wonder if you could lend her a hand if you have so much energy to spare.”

“One of us might be able to. I understand she has had some issue with the ocean trying to reclaim the land she's building up. Such a hand made island will always require maintenance but we should be able to make it easier on her.”

***********************************************************************************

Maria had a large grin on her face as she leaned against the back of her chair. Joseph was currently laying on top of her legs which his head pressed against her stomach just above her crotch looking up towards her face. At least he would be looking up towards her face if his eyes weren't closed. She didn't mind as she placed her hand on his stomach. “So your potion to help us better learn to channel mystic energies is coming along nicely then?”

“I don't know if I would call it nicely.” For a moment Joseph went silent and shifted to his side so he could lightly rub his head against Maria's stomach. After the day he'd had his head was positively throbbing and he had no desire to open his eyes. The feeling of his cheek running against her stomach helped him to relax and stimulated him a bit especially when he considered where he was. His head hurt a little bit less as he settled back down against her thighs. “Alaina was nice enough to let us know when something wouldn't work most of the time. That would last for fifteen seconds or that would last for thirty seven seconds. I heard quite a bit of that.”

“Hey if you're making it that far it means you're doing better. What is your target goal anyway?” Reaching down Maria rolled up Joseph's shirt slightly and slipped her hand underneath it. She gave him a light squeeze whenever he opened up his eyes and looked around the curve of her breasts to see her smiling face.

“We need it to last at least fifteen minutes to be worth anything. Dan came up with a good idea. He thinks we might be able to trick your bodies into not immediately processing the potion or not processing it as aggressively as it would normally.”

“Did Alaina have anything to say about that?”

“No. Then again she tends to let us try for a bit before she tells us the path we're on isn't going to work. I believe the best thing we can do is attack the problem from both sides. So how about you Maria? Has anything happened to you today?”

“I saw Pera with Allen in the dining hall.”

“I thought you were taking your dinners in the citadel.”

“I tend to alternate. There are still a lot of sisters that eat at the dining hall and we like to talk every once in a while. Though the main topic we talk about is how much we dislike so many of the brothers now eating in the citadel rather then eating with us.” Maria gave a slight chuckle and Joseph a pat on the stomach. “I'm glad that I already have you or it would have been a problem for me as well. There was some talk about going to eat with the brothers but then again the Luvarian dining area really wasn't made for us.”

“Yeah but if they want the brothers to come back they just need to let them know. I'm sure every brother who doesn't currently have a mate would be glad to unless they're too busy.”

“You're probably right. I believe the reason most brothers are eating in the citadel still is they're so busy. Hey have you heard anything about finding a way for Zarena to better hunt for sunken ships? Every time I've gone to speak with her she's brought it up.”

“I know they're tinkering with it.” Before continuing Joseph opened his eyes and began to set up though still leaning against Maria's body. Once he'd raised himself up enough he reached up and pressed on the underside of Maria's breasts. He was immediately surprised by their weight and gave a slight groan as he continued to press up against their mass. He felt it whenever Maria giggled.

“What are you doing!”

“Well I was just thinking. As your size has gone up so has the mass of your breasts but the mass has increased quicker then the cross sectional area. So they should be becoming less and less perky. I haven't seen your breast sagging in the least and was wondering how much they weighed. Now you remember how you used to wrest your breast on my head before?”

“Of course!”

“Yeah I don't think you should do that now. At least you shouldn't wrest their full mass.”

“Why you! Are you saying that my breast are fat?”

Instead of responding right away Joseph once again pressed up against the underside of Maria's breast. The feeling had changed. Her breasts still felt soft and very pleasing to the touch but there wasn't as much natural give as their had been as he increased the force with which he pressed. The more he pressed against them the less give there was. “I wouldn't call them fat they feel quite fit to me. There still is a lot more mass there.”

“Well that sure didn't stop you from snuggling your head against them earlier.”

“Of course not! If anything this just means there is more to enjoy.”  As he spoke Joseph slipped his hands between Maria's breasts intending to part them a bit. He wasn't too surprised whenever they suddenly pushed in together trapping his hands instead. Rather then focus on her breast though Joseph quickly glanced to the side where he noted Maria's hands were wresting. She wasn't using her arms to squeeze her breast together.

“Aren't you worried that they might be more then you can handle?” As Maria spoke she once again placed her right hand against Joseph's stomach while looking down at her breasts. Compared to her they hadn't grown at all but whenever she compared them to other things especially Joseph it became clear how much they had increased in size. At this point she was wondering if she would ever be large enough to carry Joseph nestled between them.

“I've done a fine job so far. Besides with these ladies I've learned it's not the size but how they're treated.” Rather then relying on his legs to raise himself up Joseph found himself relying on his arms. It took more effort then he expected but as he lifted himself close enough his head tilted backwards and he gave the underside of Maria's breast each a kiss. The feeling of their softness against his lips seemed to recharge him. “You know I believe this could be worked into an exercise routine. It might be a bit rough on my arms though.”

After a moment of consideration Maria relaxed the hold her breast had on Joseph's arms and let him set back down. She could see where squeezing a brother's arms hard enough to hold him up could be a bit painful. If nothing else she ran the chance of rubbing his arms raw. “We might have to try that later or perhaps some variation on it at least. Maybe after you've had one of those potions of yours to toughen you up.”  Joseph didn't answer but gave a slight sigh as he once again settled down atop her legs. Despite his playful tone it was fairly clear he was still tired.

***********************************************************************************

Zarena felt like her face might split in half as she made it back to the shoreline. It had been a very difficult trip as she had to avoid ripping her treasure apart. She didn't particularly care about the ship itself but it was the best way to move all the goods back to the main land. As she saw the village she couldn't help but call out. “Kersara, Kelah everyone I believe I finally had some good luck out there.” With the water now only up to her shoulder Zarena lifted the ship so that it was slightly above eye level. The task required both hands as well as Zarena's tail to keep it from falling apart and back into the ocean. Even from this distance she could see Kersara looking in her direction and noted Kelah a ways away in a much smaller ship.

Kelah had been spending time with Zarena. She and the other shaman had been helping to negotiate with the spirits of the earth to make Zarena's island stronger. The spirits of the water were by no means willing to negotiate the issue after all. She also spent enough time around the beast girls that she knew they were in search of certain metals. These were metals the orcs didn't have much of themselves so there was little they could do to help. The two groups had been getting along together quite well though and Kelah currently saw little difference between a beast girl and one of her orcs in the sea side village. It didn't seem they saw much of a difference either. There was of course some problems.

Willow, “Hey Kelah how about we go back and see what all Zarena brought in.”

“No. Keep paddling we have more fishing to do.” As she spoke Kelah looked over her shoulder at the beast girl. Willow had been assigned by Kersara to push her little boat around. It wasn't that Kelah and the other orcs in it couldn't paddle but apparently Willow hadn't been training as much as Kersara would have liked so she had been assigned to serve as propulsion for the boats. It seemed a little easy to Kelah given that she could just use the boat to support her weight and kick to propel it forward  but Kelah wasn't going to argue with Kersara's training methods. They tended to work quite well.

“Oh come on!”

“If you wish to swim back to the shore and speak to Kersara about it that is your voice. We still have fish to bring in.”

Kersara had already made her way to the shore. She was tempted to leap into the water to go meet Zarena but swimming around Zarena when she actually wanted to move could be a bit dangerous. “What kind of ship is it?”

“I have no idea!” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as she came closer. She'd been careful to gather the ship up but that meant she couldn't look inside of it. As she neared the shore she was tempted to simply drop it on the ground and let it shatter to see what was inside. However, while her main goal was the recovery of metals she knew there might be other items of value inside of it.

Kersara gave her head a slight nod and began to wave those close sisters over. It seemed the orcs were watching as well but knew to keep their distance. It wasn't that Zarena meant them harm. They felt safe around her at this point. She could smell that much and see it in the way they walked. They just knew whenever she came onto land carrying something there was always some risk involved for those who got too close. Not every orc was capable of handling those risk while the faelom were. “Well hurry up. We all want to see what you're carrying.”

“I'm trying don't rush me. This old boat is just about to fall apart.” A lot of the wood on the boat had been stripped away by various types of sea life and the currents. With each step Zarena felt like one of her hands might press through the ship and shatter it. This close to land they would likely be able to collect some of the materials but it would still be a lot easier if this happened on land. The sound of creaking and yielding wood had been threatening the ship's break up any moment from nearly the moment she picked it up and began moving. With the water only up to her knees now Zarena was seriously considering tossing the ship onto the land rather then risk a break up. When the water was only half way up to her knee she felt a good bit better.

By now several sisters had joined Kersara and began to talk amongst themselves. They typically didn't have much use for such things but the brothers did. A few commented on actually wanting to wear a golden necklace or ring if there was enough. Kersara had little hope for that given that they didn't even know what was inside of the ship. Plus that seemed to be the type of thing an abandoning crew would have taken with them if they were capable of doing so. “Okay now that you have it out of the water do you have any idea of what kind of ship it is? I mean are we dealing with a merchant, military or or treasure ship?”

“Hey! You're the one that spends most of her time on the waterfront. Shouldn't you be able to tell me what kind of ship it is?”

“I only go so far out to sea and I haven't seen that make before. It's a bit longer and thinner then what I've seen before.” As she spoke Kersara took in a deep breath of air. She had learned to recognize some ships by their smell due to the type of trees used in their marking. Even the decaying wood should have given her some idea of the ships nature but she couldn't recognize it. Whether this was due to the influence of years under the ocean or if the ship had come from a region she'd never smelt before she couldn't be certain. Even among ships she tended to only be able to associate certain scents with certain flags. The only other source of information was sailors she found along the shore.

Despite being closer to her goal Zarena froze up as a particularly loud snap hit her ears. The ship seemed to shiver in her hands and she bit down on her lower lip. She felt more then a little silly but she actually found herself bending at the knees and walking in a crouched position. The fact that she was eager to set the ship down was plainly obvious. “Please hold together. Please hold.” The feeling of the water only at ankle depth helped to relax Zarena but there was no way she was going to stand back up. A sigh of relief actually escaped her whenever she felt the sand of the beach against her knuckles and began to settle the ship down.

“Yay you made it!” Kersara couldn't help but giggle as Zarena shot her a rather annoyed look. Apparently she was feeling rather stressed out at the moment. “So are you going to need any help examining the ship?”

“Not yet. I want to be careful while I'm peeling it.”

Kersara wasn't entirely certain what Zarena meant as she settled the ship down. The sound of the wood groaning as Zarena moved her tail and hands to allow it to redistribute its weight filled the air for a moment and she fully expected the ship to simply fall to bits. The sound of wood being cleanly cut through actually surprised her and Kersara looked up to see Zarena had cut the ships mast away and was now carefully placing it on the ground a short distance away. The sound of Zarena's massive claws cutting into the wooden structure was surprisingly quiet leaving no doubt in Kersara's mind about how sharp they were. “Are you going to break it down completely?”

“Yes. There is no way this ship can stand any of you climbing throughout it. So instead of having it fall to bits and damage what is inside I'm just going to cut it into sections.” Zarena didn't stop working as she spoke. Given the ship's condition and the sounds it was making it could fall apart at any moment. She needed to remove as much of the structure as she could without damaging its supports just so it could hold itself together. Removing the top mast was a good move but there was still much to be done. Her hand easily glided along the edges as she removed the railing and took off the captains will.

The way Zarena worked the ship actually surprised Kersara. It reminded her of another sister breaking down a kill. In some ways she supposed the ship was a kill. Zarena had put enough time and energy into hunting for it that it could most assuredly count as a kill. Now they would have to wait to see what was inside of it. She was a bit surprised whenever Zarena placed an old rusted iron ax on the sand in front of her. “Hey Zarena should we clean those up or do you think the brothers could use the rust.”

“I know they're some spells and alchemical potions that require different types of rust. Just leave it on the weapon.” It was fortunate that they didn't want these items for anything more then their raw materials. Considering their condition if the brothers had intended to use them they would have needed a lot of repair work and some of them might not have been salvageable at all.

***********************************************************************************

“Good evening.”

Zarena felt her heart rate speeding up as she looked at the tiny figure before her. The being was far larger then a brother though smaller then a matron. Yet she gave off an aura of power that far surpassed anything Zarena had seen in a very long time. Unfortunately Zarena wasn't certain how to address the figure though she imagined this was meant to be a discrete meeting. She tried to keep her voice low. “Good evening to you as well. By chance could I get your name?”

“What? She didn't even name us? Well that's just being sloppy. My name is Naidra. Maria informed you of us.”

Zarena gave her head a slight nod as she raised up a bit. It was a moonless night so the fires from the sea front village could be seen easily. “I see. What brings you here?”

“A few things. Nathan asked that I come and speak with you after being introduced to me. Plus we have so far had a one on one talk with every faelom that had been told about us except you. It seemed like a good time. I also thought I would like to come out to see this new site. It is quite lovely tonight and I thought I might take some time to paint it while we spoke.”

It actually surprised Zarena to see that Naidra was holding a canvas. Rather then commenting right away she looked towards the village. “It is a nice site. It feels kind of awkward that we never thought to take food from the sea before. Then again we're not exactly very well equipped for swimming.” The statement felt kind of odd. This was a protector and she was visiting her. Shouldn't she be asking something more important? Yet Zarena couldn't help but remember seeing the protectors in the citadel. She had always felt oddly comfortable around them especially considering how they treated her brother. Part of her wondered how Naidra truly preferred to be treated and if asking about such things would make her uncomfortable.

“To be fair. You were designed so that the forest would be your world. I personally am surprised that you've never tried to expand the reaches of the forest without the Luvarians to guide you. That probably is due to our built in protective nature and our relative difficulty with reproduction. Do you know that our population was planned for several centuries by the Luvarians? Due to the low birth rate everything pretty much depended on how many sisters were made in the beginning. It was that number that helped determine how powerful each sister would need to be in theory.”

“So you're saying they could have made us more powerful.”

“Well yes they could have but that would have lowered your birth rate and number even more. A construct body like yours requires a certain spirit to handle it after all.” By now Naidra had set down and placed her canvas on its stand. Rather then using paint though she began to alter the chemical structure of the canvas using a bit of her magic. The feeling of the thinned connection with the citadel was a bit off putting but it was strong enough to comfortably sustain her or allow for mid level combat without dipping into her energy reserves.

After a moment of consideration Zarena gave a slight nod. They all knew that the reason they had such issue with magic was because their body devoured the energy so quickly. Joseph's training had proven that much. “Naidra I hope you don't mind me asking but did you know my mother?”

“Elly.” A slight chuckle escaped Naidra as she glanced back at Zarena who looked a bit surprised. “Yes I knew her better then you might imagine. You see for a time I was Elly.”

“Huh?”

“Zarena among the production faelom there is this notion that we protectors are immortal. It isn't true. Firstly with enough power our bodies can be destroyed. We were made after all we can be unmade. Going beyond that though we aren't the same spirit each time. When one of our spirits become too fatigued to continue living it leaves the body or it dies you might say. The body goes still and we have to wait until a new spirit takes it over. After you became a sleeper your mother was so concerned about you she couldn't just move on so when her body died she took this body. She watched over your brother until the day of his death and a little while after and you for several centuries. This body only came to me in the last three hundred years.”

Zarena froze up for a moment. Her mother had been watching over her? The notion actually made her more then a little dizzy. “So. So mom was there watching over me?”

“In a sense. You see we don't retain the memories from the previous lives of the spirit. Rather she had all the memories of the Naidra's that came before her. She also had a very powerful spiritual connection to you and it didn't take much to figure out what spirit she was. She also knew much of your mother's life and much of yours.”

It actually felt like Zarena had became a bit lighter as she felt her heart rate speed up. Mother watched over me. Flashed through Zarena's mind and made her smile. “So Naidra does that mean you were sneaking around watching me while I slept?”

For a moment warmth seemed to radiate out from Naidra's chest, into her limbs and to fill her head. She gave a slight chuckle before turning to look at Zarena. “Constantly! While I was watching you I developed some strong emotional attachments that were only strengthened during the brief times you were awake. By the time your mother was done using this body I had developed so many fond memories of you that even now I still have fond feelings towards you. It didn't hurt that you held such strong feelings towards us.”

Zarena continued to smile as she nodded her head. “Naidra you mentioned that you watched my brother. What about this book he left me?”

“What do you want to know about it?”

“Is he hiding anything from me?”

“Your brother! No! Your brother had way too much honesty in him to lie to you. Especially whenever he was certain you'd be reading his writing decades or hundreds of years later. Your brothers concern for what others thought of him after his death was so utterly insignificant that it might as well be laughable. He did worry about how well you would sleep and wanted to insure that you never felt alone though. In many ways that book was the best he believed that he could do.”

After a moment of silence Zarena gave a slight nod. Yet at the same time curiosity was building within her. “Naidra my brother was a very gifted and devoted magic user. I haven't mentioned it to anyone but some of the things they contribute to the Luvarians I recognize as his work. However, every now and then I'll happen across something in his book that leaves me to think he had some secret project he was working on.”

“Your brother was allowed entry into the citadel.”

For a moment Zarena froze up as she let those words sink in. “You mean like Joseph?”

“No. Your brother made it further then Joseph has so far.”

Happiness joined the other emotions surging through Zarena's mind and body as she smiled at Naidra. “So he was working on some special project. Was he able to finish it? Why didn't he tell the other brothers? Did he know you had the spirit of our mother?”

“Your brother had his own goals Zarena. They were things that he believed were for the best and if he told the others they would hinder him from his efforts. I truly believe he was right and no. I didn't tell him that his mother and I had the same spirit for the time being. Your brother didn't believe that saving you from your hunger could be found in developing new energy systems you see. He believed that it lay in your own ability to adapt and change yourselves. He wanted to expand upon your body's ability to adapt so that you could change into something with the same potential as you currently have if not greater but free from such hunger.”

For a moment Zarena's mind seemed to stop working. She took in a deep breath and put a hand against her forehead as if trying to hold herself up. Her brother had intended to make it so their ability to adapt could respond without the need for sleep. There was one question she had to ask though. “How close did he get?”

“If your brother would have just extended his life span. If he would have bought himself an additional one hundred or two hundred years he would have completed the work I'm certain of it. You see your brother was well on his way to solving the problem but he found an additional problem. In order for his method to function you would have to have an overwhelming amount of energy. He concluded and quite accurately that for his method to work even if it was completed the original system would have to be repaired.” Naidra felt a little pain in her throat and couldn't help it leaking into her voice. “He couldn't keep going though he was tired on so many levels. In the event that this power source is ever found though he asked us to make his research known openly.”

“Then the life bloom?”

“Even if you weren't making use of the system it isn't enough. For this to work sating your hunger wouldn't be enough. You must not only have enough energy to fulfill all your needs but you must also have enough energy to sustain the change. The only time that this is possible is whenever you're sleeping so that your body is shrinking in size. In that moment the amount of energy contained within your body is great enough to maintain the process. It doesn't hurt that at that moment your body is far more malleable then any other time. Unfortunately your brother's solution can't work while your body is in a state of degradation.”

“So he didn't come up with a cure. He just came up with a way to make us stronger whenever a cure was found. That is what killed him.”

After a moment of silence Naidra gave a nod. She didn't have the feelings of a mother for Azon but she did have an intense feeling of caring for him. It was something she would have compared to an older sister's feelings for a younger brother. “It is possible. Now Dan is trying to solve the problem that Azon once worked on.”

“Have you told Dan this?”

“No. He hasn't really had time to work on it of course. I'm hopeful that he'll recognize Azon's name whenever he starts searching for the right book.”

“He wrote a book?”

“He wrote books.” Naidra gave an amused laugh as she looked at the shocked look on Zarena's face. “Your brother was a full Luvarian Zarena he would have outranked Joseph even now if he was still alive.”

“So the only thing that makes Joseph's work special is he sought to give us tools to fix our own problems on an individual level while all the others sought to fix them for us?”

“That's right. So many have tried to feed but he is the first that has had both the ability, timing and direction to teach you to feed yourselves.” Naidra didn't consider Joseph a unique genius or some exceptional anomaly. Rather he was a very rare occurrence that had come along at the right time to combine with several other rare occurrences in order to produce an anomaly.

After a moment of silence Zarena gave her head a slight nod. Her smile hadn't gone away though as she considered what she'd been told. Her brother had written books. The books were in the citadel and accepted as Luvarian tombs. He had nearly found a way to heal the sisters of their hunger. Even if the method couldn't be used right now or fully understood. “So are you going to show Dan Azon's work whenever he can focus on it?”

“After he's learned a bit. Your brother's final work is tricky to introduce to people.”

There was a slight change in Naidra's tone. It felt to Zarena that she had to really think about that last statement. “Naidra is my brother's final work a spell?”

“You could call his final work a spell but his final work is more then that. Azon's final work was more related to alchemy as the type of magic he used is very hard to contain without some kind of physical form. Plus giving his final work physical form makes understanding the work easier.” Naidra had to close her eyes for a moment and think about what she was saying. She didn't want to give too much information about Azon's final work. “If I was to show your brother's final work to Dan now he wouldn't understand the work. He would want to associate thoughts and beliefs that just don't hold true.”

For a moment Zarena went silent and then gave a slight giggle. “Naidra you're making it sound like my brother broke some kind of magical law or violated the laws of nature or.” For a moment Zarena felt her head grow heavy though her smile didn't vanish. She couldn't help but lower it a bit though. “He did.”

“No more then other high ranking Luvarians.”

“Did he do more to ignore the natural order then the Luvarians did when they made us?”

“A little bit I suppose. I was quite proud of him.”

A sigh escaped Zarena as she shook her head. “May I see my brother's final work then?”

“Well that depends partly on the work.”

***********************************************************************************

Naidra, “Very good Maria. You've improved your flow a great deal and your ability to maintain your composure while within the glyph has progressed nicely. Vera you're relying on your strength too much in order to fight Maria.”

Vera felt like she'd had her tailed yanked whenever Naidra criticized her. It was true she was taking advantage of the fact that she was stronger then Maria to gain the upper hand but it wasn't the only thing she was using. If she used strength alone she would be losing badly. “What should I do then Naidra?”

“You must learn to better use your superior control and flow with Maria's attacks to create an opening. The proper skills will allow you to overcome an opponent that is both faster and stronger then you. Would you like me to demonstrate?”

It was kind of painful for Vera to hear this. Even among those sisters trained in combat she was one of if not the best. Now Naidra was saying that her skill was lacking. The fact that she needed a calming breath made her feel even more like a student again. How prideful had she become that simple correction or instruction required her to calm herself?  “I believe that would be good for me.”

“I do not like this. I do not like this. I do not like this!” Flashed through Mina's mind as she looked at Flora. Currently she was suppose to be sparring with Flora. She had to land twelve hits on her friend or render her unable to fight while Flora was simply working on her aggression. She had to attack Mina as if she intended to kill her. This meant several cheap shots more then a few of witch had been for her eyes. Mina hadn't been harmed by any of them but she was having trouble hitting her friend. Naidra had also been teaching her control and today it was time she practiced it a bit. The feeling of Flora's feather light hits wasn't helping Mina's situation though as every fiber of her being said to just wait and let Flora punch until she became tired then restrain her without anyone being harmed.

Flora, “Come now Mina. You've hit me twice. If you don't fight back then we're going to be here all day.” Flora didn't even have to stop speaking as she evaded Mina's fist. Between the slow speed and the obvious move it was easy to do. It was clear even whenever Mina attacked her she was fighting it on some level. Despite Naidra promising them both that she wouldn't be killed Mina was having trouble. Naidra had even offered to heal any serious injuries in the event the worse came to worse. Flora wasn't so certain if Naidra was confident she'd survive due to Mina and her training or if it was due to her ability to heal them should she be critically injured.

“I don't like this Flora. Can't I fight Vera instead?”

“Ah you mean you want to spend time with Vera more then you want to spend time with me?” Flora made her voice sound far more hurt then she felt. In truth she understood Mina's concern and was grateful for it. Yet Mina had to learn to hit others. There would come a time whenever she would need to end a fight quickly and couldn't wait for another sister to exhaust herself. She could also only hold onto so many sister's at once. Pain shot through Flora's hand as she landed an extremely powerful blow to Mina's stomach. The frighteningly solid muscles didn't even seem to notice the impact but Flora's hand did. “Ouch. Naidra does it count as a hit if I hurt myself on Mina?”

“No. A counter active force does not count as being hit during this lesson.”

“Ouch!” Flora was rather surprised whenever she felt a light jab to her right arm. The impact wasn't particularly powerful but it had caught her off guard. Before she knew what was happening Flora actually found herself giggling as she looked at a rather surprised Mina. “You sucker punched me!”

“It was the only way I could get you to hold still long enough for me to hit you without hurting you! You're very dodgy.” Mina didn't mind that she received a bonk on the nose from Flora the moment she was done speaking. The impact didn't hurt and she hoped that Flora hadn't hurt her hand again. That was three punches. She had nine more to land before Naidra was going to let them stop. A long sigh escaped Mina as she tried to hit Flora again.

Naidra, “If you think this is bad Mina just wait until we start counting Flora's punches as life ending. Okay Vera whenever you're ready feel free to attack. I promise I'll be using both inferior speed and strength to your own.”

Mina, “How is that going to work?”

Naidra couldn't afford to risk looking at Mina now. While restricting so much of her strength she did need to focus on Vera. “I believe that every time you get hit you'll have to eat a special pepper slowly. That should provide.” Naidra went quiet as Vera moved towards her. Vera's right hand reached out however it was clear to Naidra that it was a faint. It wasn't a bad faint but she hadn't refined it enough to fool Naidra. It was easy to avoid and as Vera's leg struck out Naidra caught it and pulled with all the strength she was allowed to use. Between the force of Vera's own kick and the added strength it was easy to take Vera's leg out from under her and send her flying. Yet Naidra didn't stay still as she watched Vera twisting in the air.

Gracefully was how Vera would have described Naidra's throw. It wasn't enough though as due to the strength, agility and speed of the sisters Vera easily twisted in the air. Just as she thought she had regained control of herself she felt a very light pressure on her leg and then a very hard impact to her face. All thoughts of controlling her landing left her mind though muscle memory did insure that she came to a rolling stop on the ground and quickly righted herself. The moment she looked upon Naidra she realized what had happened. Naidra had tapped her leg just slightly to disrupt her motion and then kicked her in the face. If it hadn't been for the split second disturbance she would have been able to move with the kick far more easily. As things were Vera's face was hurting quite a bit.

Maria, “How did you do that! You were moving so slowly.” Maria was at Naidra's side nearly the moment her foot had met with Vera's face. It had been so easy to track Naidra's moves and yet she had been able to see what the end result would be. From Maria's perspective it looked like Naidra was actually controlling Vera's actions. Vera hadn't tried to kick Naidra but rather she had been lending Naidra some of her momentum. Maria knew that wasn't the case but it was hard to believe that it wasn't as she reviewed what she'd just seen .

“I read Vera's movements just the same as she should be able to read your movements. Well for a time. In truth you're going to hold onto your speed advantage far longer then Vera is going to be able to hold onto her combat experience advantage.”

Maria, “Ha! Did you hear that Vera? I bet before long I'm going to be able to kick your tail.”

It was hard for Vera to believe that had just happened. At no point had she seen Naidra using more speed then her but she hadn't seen a lot of what Naidra did either. “That was very impressive Naidra. I believe I'd like to learn how to fight like that. Is that a technique the sisters developed?”

“Sort of but not entirely. I'm sure you know that they're some people who are naturally resistant to magic. That technique actually rest with them. As being resistant to magic wasn't enough some of them developed a style of fighting meant to kill magic users. It's mostly stealth fighting as you might imagine. If you're resistant to magic you're also hard to detect with it so your primary method of killing a magic user is sneaking up on them. However, they also prepared for when they weren't able to sneak up on their target as best they could. The entire fighting style assumed that whatever they were fighting would be stronger, faster and more durable then they were.”

Vera, “So it was built mostly around the notion of using the enemies strength and speed against them.”

“Yes but they're limits of course. If someone can reach out, strike you and pull their arm back before you have time to twitch it's clearly not going to work.”

To this Vera gave a nod. Maria was actually fairly close to that point. If she would truly trained her body for speed she might even reach it. “I can see why that would be taught to beings who can't use magic to really cast spells. Except you can cast spells so why did you learn it?”

“Well when you don't die of old age you tend to plan ahead. What would happen if I had to dedicate all my magic to sustaining a spell while still fighting someone? I don't plan on teaching you the original technique it's far too defensive for my liking. That is just the origin. The Luvarians refined it and found ways to beat it as well. The resistant people were typically the type you hired to kill mages. It was only by capturing them that the Luvarians were able to learn the technique.”

Maria, “How? I mean if they're immune to magic you couldn't exactly force them to talk.”

“Various methods. Money in some cases, blackmail, torture they're a lot of ways to get people to do what you want that don't involve magic.” As she finished speaking Naidra stepped back and caught Vera's wrist. Instead of throwing her though she pulled her forward and into her elbow. The sound of the impact let everyone know that Vera had just had the wind knocked out of her. “Very good Vera!”

***********************************************************************************

Dan had to resist the urge to hold his breath as he watched the solution. They'd just placed their mystic sensitivity potion within a test beaker pull of solvents meant to simulate being within a sister's body. A tiny crystal beneath the beaker was radiating a small amount of mystic energy for it to respond to. He was mostly hoping that the potion wouldn't break down too quickly. It seemed all three of the men were hoping for the same thing as they watched it. Part of him wanted to say that it seemed to be doing well but he didn't dare let those words escape his lips. He didn't want to risk something going horribly wrong the moment he'd spoken. Given that this was their thirty fifth attempt to get the potion right he was quite worried. “So what are we going to work on next?”

Ridon, “I thought we were going to work on redesigning that section of damaged forest?”

Dan, “Huh? I was thinking that we would try making your artificial amalgam. The joining of spiritual elements like that would likely help in the development of the forest design.”

“Yeah but I was thinking the same thing about working on the forest and guiding the flow of natural energies.”

“True. But your project is the one with the deadline. If we take too much time well one of the other brothers will finish their work first.”

“That's fine with me. Perhaps we should share my progress at the next meeting.”

After a moment of silence Ridon gave a slight shrug. He was hoping to help Dan out a bit but had to remind himself that Dan typically didn't mind to share his work as long as he received fair credit. “Do either of you know what Nathan and Mirin have been up to since they were introduced to the protectors?”

Alaina, “Mirin has been quite focused on energy systems and how they might be improved. He wants to finish work on the life blooms system. Well he wants to improve upon it. Nathan for his part is studying the concept of creating living mystic fountains like the life bloom. After we explained to him the failure of the original system he has convinced himself that the failing actually came from using a static focus and a plant could grow into the roll. If nothing else I believe he will find a way to improve upon the life bloom but his goals are.” For a moment Alaina went silent and tapped her forehead. “Very far away.”

All three men turned to look at Alaina. It seemed rather strange how comfortable she appeared as if she had been in the room the entire time. Ridon smiled at her just the same. “Well what do you think of our work? Impressive isn't it?”

“I believe it's going to hold. That said you do realize you've also taken steps to developing a poison that could harm the sisters. Not that no such poison exist.” As she spoke Alaina walked over to the beaker and took a closer look. “We have some very deadly samples of gorgon vemon and dragons venom stored here that would be quite dangerous even to a faelom.”

Joseph, “How easy do you believe it would be to turn into a weapon?”

Now Alaina gave the three a large smile. “It wouldn't be easy at all.” The potion that Joseph, Ridon and Dan had made would do a very good job of surviving within a sister's body. However, it's influence was by design meant to be very minor. To turn it into a toxin it would have to be made stronger but that would reduce its durability. “Whenever I said you've taken steps I meant on a road that was many kilometers long. The fact that you've built it to break down harmlessly within a sister's system insures that. Now did you stop to consider what this would do to a human?”

Dan couldn't help but feel a little concerned as he looked at the potion. “It wouldn't break down in one of our bodies like it would do a sisters. Actually it could cause a lot of damage and it would need to be removed. Not that I'm really worried about that one. It isn't the first potion I've made that's deadly to humans if used improperly.”

Joseph, “True. Is there some concern we're not considering Alaina?”

“Just don't dispose of this in any water source short of the ocean and I don't recommend doing that. I don't believe you appreciate how toxic this would be to less durable forms of life.”

Ridon, “But you knew it would be toxic.”

To this Alaina gave a quick nod. “Yes. Anything that's durable to survive in a sister's body like this is going to be rather rough on more delicate systems. I'm sure you three know this but I just worry that someone who's less competent then you would come along and think. Hey a potion to boost my mystic awareness I bet this would really help in spell casting.”

Ridon couldn't help but grin as he noted the change in Alaina's voice. She didn't sound like a sister in that moment but rather like a young mage. “Okay that has happened before right?”

“More then once. You have a powerful fire mage. He makes a potion to amplify his abilities for short time periods. Well someone without his skill takes the potion and they burn themselves to death because they can't control the magic. I know the three of you are smart but please be careful with labeling this. I have seen so many people injured or killed because a master believed something was common sense that it's just well quite astounding.”

Chapter 43 by happiest_in_shadows

Ridon, “We'll make sure to do that. So Alaina what project do you believe we should work on next?”

Alian was actually rather bias towards Ridon's question. She wanted him to work on his own creation to help him advance as a Luvarian. She wanted to see him not as an apprentice that had been allowed in but as a full Luvarian that had been welcomed in. There wasn't much to consider to contradict her desires either. Both of the projects could be considered rather important. Though Ridon hadn't considered it his work might benefit the forest society as much as Dan's current project. There was a bit of a rush of information and she had an answer. “I would delegate Dan's work to those doing less important work then your own and Dan you should refocus on your work with the faelom.”

Now Dan was rather surprised. He had made some progress he was happy with but he didn't expect to be told to hand the project over. “Are you serious?”

“Yes. In this case though you should bring in some of the orcs. We could use more apprentices that have experience dealing with the spirits.”

Joseph, “Alaina are you saying make an orc an apprentice?”

Alaina gave a slight shrug. “It would hardly be the first time such a thing had happened. The Luvarians were hardly all humans.”

Joseph, “Yes but didn't the Luvarians use orcs for sentient research material?”

“They used humans to.” The response came naturally to Alaina. The notion that the Luvarians looked down on orcs because of the work they did on them was entirely false. The Luvarians tended to see orcs, humans, dwarfs and elfs in much the same light. They were sentient beings with high potential that could be brought out. The path that potential took and the means to bring it out differed and this did result in some preferences but there was hardly a bias outside what a project called for.

All three men took a moment to look around. It was Ridon that asked though. “How did all the brothers end up human though?”

“Oh humans tended to be more open to the concept of creating new life and reshaping it then the other races.  If you notice we're also bordered by human nations which are where most of the claimed come from. If we were closer to the dwarven lands or if you didn't have an agreement with the orcs I'm certain that we would have more of both types of claimed. Now may we return to your important work?”

Dan gave a slight laugh whenever he noted Alaina calling their work important. Apparently these old issues were simply of no real consequence to her. “ So bring in orcs to help finish up the redesign. I can run it by the others during the next meeting. Perhaps I should go ahead and speak to Nathan and Mirin about it.”

Alaina, “They've already agreed. Another protector brought the issue up.” Alaina gave a soft giggle and smiled at the three. She just wanted to share something with them. “Mirin is currently being held up by his robes. It was the only way to insure that he was paying attention he's so caught up in his current experiment.”

***********************************************************************************

“Joseph this taste awful!” As Flora swallowed the potion it was hard to resist her gag reflex. She had been told the potion was safe and would benefit her practice but she hadn't expected such a bitter taste. When she looked to Maria she saw surprised to see her daughter struggling to force the potion down. After a moment she saw when Maria finally succeeded. The expression on Maria's face was almost enough to make her forget the horrible taste in her own mouth. Indeed Flora had to exert great willpower in order to avoid openly laughing. It was fairly clear that Maria was even less fond of the potion then she was. There wasn't time to talk though.

Naidra, “Okay Flora, Maria, Vera those potions are on a limited time table. Vera begin sparring with Flora and Maria you're going to be sparring with me. We're going to be using high speed combat but remember you must stay within the room.” With the limited duration of the potion Naidra had to work quickly. The current plan was to use one potion each day before returning to regular training practices for a week. If things worked properly they would be an increase in their rate of progress. Three sisters had been chosen as the test subjects with Maria being the only one with a mutation. In the event the results were favorable Mina and Mira would be next. For the time being Mina and Mira would continue their lessons as normal.

It surprised Vera whenever Flora attacked her eagerly. Apparently Flora had made some progress on her aggression. Flora had never been passive like Mina by any stretch of the imagination but she was still a good bit softer then Vera herself. Vera's counter was a bit slower then normal as she struggled to adapt what Naidra had been teaching her. She could have used the momentum of Flora's own kick to attack her but she had stopped the attack cold instead.  The sound of Naidra and Maria beginning their match also filled the air. Due to their speeds the two moved around far more then normal as fighting at such speeds was more then just punches and kicking but also involved trying to make the opponent lose traction.

Mirin had come to observe the sisters sparring in an environment they didn't have to worry about damaging. He also wanted to speak to Joseph for a bit. Naturally as it was his project Joseph was observing and had already made a note to find a way to make the potion taste better. Given the potions durability it seemed that simply mixing it with another fluid to mask the flavor would handle that. Currently they were standing behind a protective barrier looking in. For the sisters to move freely and not hold back their strength they couldn't be in the room with them. “It is truly amazing to be standing here. I remember all the time I've looked down a hallway that I couldn't enter and wondered what was down there.”

“It sure surprised me. I just wish there was more I could do right now. I'm pretty much just an observer at this point.” Joseph took a quick glance towards the glyph noting the intensity with which it was glowing. This served as a good indicator of how much energy was being used but he worried how much of that energy was coming from Naidra. She assured him her presence wouldn't influence the results but he still worried. He wanted to conduct at least one test without her. That could be difficult when it came to Maria if she was going to use her full abilities.

“At least you're not standing back trying to direct the sisters as to how they should mix the potions because they're too scared of you being harmed. That was exhausting. It was actually that kind of behavior that prompted some of us to begin working in secret.”

“I can imagine. But didn't you say there was something you wanted to speak to me about?”

“Yes. I've been thinking about the life bloom and different ways that it might be used. Have you ever considered the notion of what affect the life bloom might have on creature's like silk worms?” While Joseph wasn't the only one who understood the life bloom in great detail anymore he was the life bloom's maker. His understanding of the plant and how it might influence other living beings was as good as anyone elses if still not the best. The fact that Joseph had fled his previous employer for fear of what the life bloom might do to the environment suggested he had considered the subject a bit.

It took Joseph a moment to consider what Mirin was asked. Insects had short life spans and many offspring. This made them extremely adaptable. Yet Mirin wasn't the type to be thinking about the worms but rather what the worms produced. “You want to see if feeding on the life bloom has any influence on the silk of the silk worms. I wonder. It might come up with something that's extremely good at resisting the flow of the mystic energies from the life bloom which is something that you want to avoid.”

“Not quite. If it did produce a very good resister we could still make use of it. After all if the protective covering over the energy paths had been better I wouldn't have this problem.” As he spoke Mirin showed Joseph his right hand. It had been healed for the most part but there was still some light scarring he was working on healing. The first heal job had been focused on making sure that his hand would still be usable. It's appearance was something that could come later.

Joseph was a bit surprised. He knew Mirin had been hurt but he'd also been told that he'd been healed. To see his hand decorated with scars wasn't what he expected. “I didn't know the injury was that bad.”

“It hurt. There no doubt about that. So I'd be fine with an insulator as well.” Mirin gave a slight sigh as he lowered his arm. He'd have to spend some time minding his flesh further to remove more of the scars later. Sora didn't make much mention of the injury but he caught her looking at his hand a few times. “So what did your previous studies say? Do you think I'm going to end up with some kind of monster silk worm who's silk burns flesh whenever you touch it?”

“No!” A slight laugh came from Joseph as he imagined such results. “Maybe if somehow silk worms started eating the flesh of the undead you'd get something like that. Well you might get something that's good at resisting energy but I know you're hoping for something that's really good at transferring energy. I don't see why you shouldn't try it. Personally I've been curious what would happen if we started using honey bees to pollinate the life bloom. I suspect that most of the worms and bees will be killed by the mystic energies though.”

To this Mirin gave a nod. “Yeah. We could start them with only a very small amount of the fruit though and everything else would be natural. Hm honey made from the pollen of a mystical plant. I wonder what kind of properties it will hold.”

“Ouch!” Maria's eyes opened wide even as she voiced her pain. It wasn't Naidra's hit that had caused her pain but the fact that she had fallen flat on her rear while running at extremely high speeds. The distance she had slid across the floor had been quite impressive as had been the force of the impact. The pain and its unexpected means of application was more then Maria could keep in as she stood up and took a look at her rear. It was fairly clear that her fur had been thinned a bit and the flesh had been reddened. The fact that everyone stopped what they were doing just to look at her didn't help the situation.

Joseph immediately covered his mouth and took in a deep breath as he tried to keep from laughing. The site of Maria rubbing her apparently very sore rear. Was almost too much for him to take. Apparently he wasn't the only one as he heard Mirin snickering. The only one that seemed to be unaffected by the site was Naidra. Flora was doing a good job of containing her laughter while Vera had a massive grin on her face. Given Vera's typical behavior it was quite clear that smile was her version of an open laugh. Maria for her part seemed to be shooting everyone in the room a rather annoyed look.

***********************************************************************************

“Alaina are you okay?” Ridon didn't know what to think. Alaina had suddenly burst out laughing while he'd been reading and taking some notes. Currently she was leaning against the wall while her legs were threatening to fail her. Instead of getting an answer she held up her right hand and indicated for him to wait a moment. It was actually making him a bit self conscious and he found himself reviewing his notes again trying to figure out what he'd done wrong. Could he have made such a huge mistake to make Alaina burst out into open laughter.

“Oh my. By the creators.” Was all Alaina could get out before she burst into laughter again. She wasn't certain exactly what had happened yet but Naidra had just shifted a huge amount of emotion onto the rest of them. She had been quite unprepared for not just the intensity but the type of emotion. She knew that her laughter was distressing Ridon a bit but she had told him about their shared emotional link before. Hopefully he would figure out that she wasn't laughing at him at the moment. The fact that she teased him so often probably wasn't helping the situation.

“Oh come on Alaina? What's so funny?” Ridon was actually grinning now as he looked away from his work and at her.

“I don't know if I should tell you. Naidra just shared some emotions with us and now I know what caused them.” Alaina's smile seemed ready to cut her face in half as she tried to contain herself.

“It's not polite to tease someone like that.”

“All I'll say is Maria had a little accident and you'd best not mention it to her.”

“Oh? What kind of accident?” Ridon actually found himself starting to laugh a bit despite not knowing what had happened. His imagination was already filling in the gaps. His laughter actually seemed to make it even harder for Alaina to keep from laughing who actually burst into another fit of laughter before she could respond to him.

***********************************************************************************

“So what do you think of my work?”

Alaina didn't reply immediately but took a moment to look at Julia. She'd only just been told about their ability to talk and yet she seemed unsurprised. The protectors had suspected that Julia at least suspected them especially after she noted Ridon's progress. At the very least she suspected something. It also seemed like she suspected what she was about to say. “Your progress as a spirit hunter has been very ambitious and more then a little bold. If it wasn't for your ability I would even say what you've done is exceptionally reckless bordering on foolishness.”

It didn't surprise Julia whenever Alaina noted her studies as a bit reckless. “I see. So where you keeping an eye on me to insure that I didn't kill myself?”

“We tried but you may have already killed yourself. You've began down a path that we're not entirely knowledgeable of. It's entirely possible that you've began a slow dieing process long ago. From what we do know you should be fine and should be able to acquire a fair bit of power as a spirit hunter. I just want to make it clear that we are very aware that you applied alchemical potions to yourself far more quickly and far more aggressively then the original spirit hunters would have.”

“You mean until they began imbuing their bodies with mythril.”

Now it was Alaina's turn to smile. “Yes until then. If it wasn't for your skill as a necromancer you would have killed yourself. I'm sure you're aware of what reducing your body's ability to vent heat could have done.”

After a moment Julia gave a nod. “I could have ended up cooking my own brain.”

“Yes. Now I need to remind you once again that we have yet to accept you as a Luvarian but rather you are here at the request of the one we have accepted as such.”

“Who's name you won't give me.”

“That is also at their request. If you'd like I can tell you who all has been invited but I must ask you to not talk about this outside of the citadel. Even a friendly conversation could end up giving away more information then we desire.”

Should she just ask who had been given access to the citadel? Julia was curious who had been let in before her but there was something more pressing on her mind. “Why was I only allowed in recently?”

Alaina freely chuckled at Julia's question. She couldn't hear any jealousy in her voice but the implication was there. “You're upset that you weren't invited in after the first one was accepted as a Luvarian.”

“Well yes.”

“Your studies won't benefit as much as the others have. That isn't to say that yours won't benefit. If you'd like we'd be glad to begin training you in the combat styles of the spirit hunters. We can also give you access to some of their training equipment but once again you've began down a path that is just a bit different then theirs. If I had to describe it you're walking beside them on the same path but for some reason you keep stepping into the grass trying to pass them up.”

“So I haven't passed them up?”

“By walking through the grass you have obtained greater strength then they would have for your level of progression. Indeed for your current position on the path you're very strong as even the stumbles and bruises you've earned have given you a different type of strength.”

Julia's smile didn't go away even though she understood the implications. “So have I been managing to keep pace with what you'd expect from a student spirit hunter?”

“For someone that doesn't have a mentor to guide them you're moving very fast.” Aliana didn't expect that Julia was going to drop the issue despite her attempts to be nice. It actually made her smile as she looked at the woman.

“I don't want to know that. How is my progress when compared to a spirit hunter with a mentor?”

“For a mage of your ability your progress has been very lacking. Most mentors would have cut you from the program at this point unless you outranked them and were having them teach you on the side. Even with your decision to walk through the grass rather on the road you would have progressed far more quickly with a mentor. This is nothing to be embarrassed about. You lack a mentor of course you're going to progress more slowly then someone who has one.”

For a moment Julia went silent and looked up at Alaina. “Okay that hurt my ego how am I doing for someone that didn't have access to the spirit hunter's equipment until now and who wasn't already an accomplished mage.” Julia was grinning whenever Alaina began to laugh.

“You're doing very well in those terms! Now I don't believe you would have been trained as a spirit hunter I'm afraid to say. Still, if you had come to us as an apprentice I'm sure those Luvarians dealing with unbound spirits and containing life energy would have been fighting over you. They might have even used actual spells if no one held rank and wouldn't back down.”

“Seriously?”

“You put a bunch of powerful mages together, each one very dedicated to his work and each one believing his work is the most important there is and someone is going to have a lightning bolt thrown at them, a fire ball or a curse.”

“Hey I've never seen the brothers do that.”

“That's because they don't talk about it.”

Once again Julia came to a halt. “Are you telling the truth? Have the brothers actually went to fighting one another in the last twenty years?”

“Yes. They have come to blows. They just don't tell the production grade faelom about such events or they would have had to worry about further intrusions.”

“Oh my. I can't believe it. Who hit who!”

This was a highly disciplined necromancer? Alaina almost felt like someone was playing a trick on her. Perhaps all the other protectors had gotten together and tinkered with her memory a bit. That or they were currently modifying her thought processes. Then again. Perhaps Julia liked gossip as much as the next person. “I must say Julia you're surprising me. I'm not used to someone being so open with me after my initial revelation.”

“Well I suspected that you all could communicate for quite some time. Whenever you dropped a book right in front of Allen and pointed out the pages to him I was certain that you understood what we were talking about. The only thing I didn't understand was why you didn't speak or communicate more often. At first I suspected that you had some kind of restriction that only allowed you to work with those with very high potential.”

“We expected as much. If you want to know what apprentices came to blows I'm afraid you're going to have to ask them. Now let me show you to the training area.”

***********************************************************************************

“So you believe that you're ready?”

It had been five weeks since she had began training with the protectors using the equipment of the spirit hunters. Julia had finally finished compiling a training guide for the brothers that would follow her. The methods within were a bit less extreme in order to insure they survived and she'd been given some do nots from the protectors. Given that they didn't object whenever she took the book to the brothers she felt confident in the work. Now there was another issue that had to be addressed. “Yes. I believe you can go ahead with your plans to have Kalia joined with the life bloom.”

Nathan gave a slight nod and took in a deep breath. After so much searching they had finally found a dryad to contract. As one might expect she was a dryad who had suffered a reduction in her power. She had been one of the survivors of the Amalgam's actions but she had been worse off for the experience. When faced with the choice of nurturing a new tree for decades if not centuries or trying a new dangerous experiment she had chosen the experiment. The fact that she had chosen to risk such a breaking away from the natural world had been concerning. The orcs and apprentices had worked together to make sure of her intentions as well.”I'm glad to hear it. Honestly I was worried that we would have to go through with the experiment without a spirit hunter.”

“Now Nathan are you that eager to prove yourself just as reckless as the Luvarians?”

For a moment Nathan said nothing but just looked at Julia. She had already been somewhat pale due to how much time she spent studying. Now her skin had turned as white as snow. Her eyes had turned as black as obsidian and just as lustrous while her tongue was now a bright crimson as if she'd just taken a deep drink of fresh blood. “Me reckless?”

A soft chuckle escaped Julia as she looked down at herself. Once again she laughed though this one was far more hardy. “You modify your skin and muscles to resist outside mystic influences and see how you come out looking mister!” After a moment Julia leaned back into her seat and stuck her bright crimson tongue out at Nathan. “I'm actually a little worried about how I'm going to appear whenever my training is finally finished. Apparently my training in necromancy heavily influenced my transformation.”

“Have the protectors said anything about your condition? I must say I never expected you to turn out so well. Clearly modified.”

“They said it'll get better.”

“Oh so you'll look more human?”

“That's what I thought to whenever they first said it!” Julia once again gave a laugh though this one surprised even her.  “No. According to them one of the things limiting my progress is my perception of what it means to be human and how I imagine myself. As that degrades due to my new form or expands the magic will have an easier time shaping my flesh.”

After a moment of silence all Nathan could do was shake his head. “Are you sure you want this Julia?”

A sigh escaped Julia as she leaned her head back and looked away from Nathan for a moment. “No. I wanted to become more powerful so that the sisters would accept me. Once I began working on myself though I couldn't help but wonder how far I could push myself. I still do. I don't want to become some monster that's hard for people to look upon. So what do you think Nathan? Am I hard to look on?” As she spoke Julia turned her gaze back towards Nathan and wrapped her arms around herself squeezing her breasts together and pushing up on them.

“Well you could use some more fur.”

“I never had fur though!”

Nathan couldn't help but laugh and soon Julia joined in. “You're lovely Julia. Well as lovely as a young lady can be to someone of my advanced age and relationship.”

“You mean you're scared to find another woman too attractive as you're worried about what Zarena would do.”

“She does have a jealous side to her.”

**********************************************************************************

Dremera had become quite good at maneuvering on the smooth floors of the citadel even at high speeds. A fact that Naidra couldn't help but note as she lightly flicked the young girl's nose after a failed pounce. Her responce was to give a sharp hiss and swipe at her tail. She only ended up scratching at air but the young girl was quickly back on her hands and feet preparing herself. “You're quite a determined young lady Dremera. Though I worry at times that you're motivated a little too much by anger and grudges.” Dremera's only response to Naidra was to lunge at her but instead of going for her tail this time she went for Dremera's core.

It would have worried Dan whenever he heard a rather note worthy thump if he hadn't seen Dremera play with Mina. He had learned to accept his daughter was very durable and very persistent. That didn't mean he didn't plan on getting involved. Without standing up he spun around and pointed a tiny flask towards Naidra. The potion within responded immediately sending a powerful and focused gust of wind screaming through the air. Despite the winds power he was able to cap it with his thumb the moment Naidra disappeared from his site  and the wind slammed into the wall. “Come on Dremera let's get her.”

“While siding with your daughter is natural that was sneaky.” Naidra had a large grin on her face as Dan tried to face her. It was easy to move so that she was standing behind him once again. At the same time though she could hear Dremera quickly sprinting across the floor. Naidra would need to be careful to insure that Dremera didn't accidentally tackle her father.

Flora, “Well aren't you going to help your husband and daughter out?”

Mina didn't respond immediately but turned her attention towards Dan, Dremera and Naidra. As she tried to raise herself up her body didn't want to truly cooperate. She had undergone her training in the glyph and played with Dremera before Naidra had taken over and Flora arrived. While it was easy for a sister to recover from exertion that would have drained a human this was an entirely different situation. “Flora I don't think I can move.” As she finished speak Mina allowed herself to lean back once again and took in a deep breath. “Dan are you sure you should be doing that in here? What if you damage something? Like your project.”

“Don't worry Mina. This room is just for quick and rough experiments to get an idea of what's happening.”

Mina, “Naidra how does that work anyway?”

Naidra was more dancing around Dremera and Dan's attacks now. Rather then relying on her speed she was carefully observing their movements and making it a point to move before they could truly target her. “One of the Luvarians has an idea for an experiment he or she would like to test just to get some proof of concept. They need a work area with a light stockpile of common items, strong walls and some protective spells and equipment. You end up getting a room like this. It's also nice to have such rooms for simple test. A vendor comes by with some dried mandrake roots or so they say but you're not entirely certain perhaps the smell is a bit off. You don't need an entire lab.”

“So the Luvarians just bring the roots back here and conduct a quick test?”

“Yes. Naturally at times the test don't go as expected. Dan you're.” Naidra went silent for a moment as she leaped into the air to avoid Dan and Dremera. She actually had to twist in the air to avoid being thrown against the wall by the wind. “You're combining radiance born from hope and fire aren't you?”

“Yes. I needed to make sure it wouldn't actually burst into an actual fire in the presence of the other mystic elements.” Dan was quite surprised by how easily Naidra was avoiding both of them. He wasn't actually worried about hitting her himself but he wanted to make sure Dremera at least got a good smack in on Naidra.

For a moment Mina said nothing but took a moment to look around. The walls, floor and ceiling was covered with so many glyphs that she couldn't be certain of what was happening in the room. “So this room protect you from fire?”

“Any living animal within this room is given a significant boost to all forms of mystic resistance. If they're capable of being influenced by such forms of magic.” This time Naidra allowed Dremera to get a bit of a smack on her tail. This brought a happy yelp from the young girl who upon coming to a stop gave her rear an excited wiggle as she tried to dig her feet into the ground to gain better traction. Naidra had to immediately push her smile off on several of the other protectors in order to keep up the appearance that she was taking the match seriously. In truth she desperately wanted to pick Dremera up and hug her.

Dan, “Of course radiance born from fire mixed with the right reagents can also produce a very powerful wind.”

Naidra, “A storm in a bottle. I remember whenever young apprentices would give one another such bottles as gag gifts. They weren't quite as potent as the one you're using though.”

Mina, “You're kidding.”

“I am not. So Dan did the results come out as you expected?” The feeling of Dremera latching onto her stomach sent a massive wave of happiness through Naidra but she quickly pushed the emotion off on the other protectors. She didn't want to burst out laughing but instead gave a surprised scream and intentionally stepped backwards. Dremera's arms had already latched quite tightly upon her and she began to kick her legs rapidly. Naidra instantly felt a rush of voices in her head as the other protectors began to complain about teaching her to be too aggressive. This rush was met with others though saying to let the young girl have her fun and she already knew better. The fact that some of these counter arguments were coming from the same voices only made the situation more amusing. “Oh now you've got me.”

Dremera felt a great wave of victory as she took hold of Naidra. She could still remember seeing her smack her mommy and responded by rapidly kicking her in the stomach. Striking Naidra felt exactly like kicking Mina to the young girl and she actually found herself becoming a bit annoyed whenever her feet didn't sink in deeper. There was no way that this person could truly be strong as her mommy though. The feeling of Naidra taking a step backwards confirmed to the young sister that her kicks were having an affect and she began to increase the rate at which she kicked to the point her feet began to sting slightly and she was having trouble holding on.

Dan, “Yay you got her Dremera!” After a moment of watching Dan was a bit surprised by his daughter's persistence. “Naidra I believe she's really trying to take you down.”

“So do I. Well it's good exercise for her if nothing else and I won't fault a young faelom for being protective of her parents. At least I won't so long as she focuses the abuse on me and the other protectors.” As she spoke Naidra began to lightly run her fingers along Dremera's side tickling her in the process. The fact that the young girl didn't break into a fit of laughter but continued her attack only showed her determination. “Now about your results?”

“There is some loss in the conversion process but most of it went fine. So whenever Ridon finds a fire spirit to contract we should be able to transform it into a spirit of hope and fire without converting it into a spirit of hope or having it just consumed all the energy. The bigger issue is combine the essence of life. It's pretty clear that combining fire and life energies directly will not yield the results we want at the rate we want. By mixing life with essence born of fire that has already been mixed with essence born of hope though we improved how well they mixed a great deal.” Dan was actually fighting laughing the entire time as he continued to watch his daughter. She had stopped kicking Naidra and was instead rapidly running her feet against her stomach claws out. “Please tell me she's playing.”

Naidra. “I have no doubt she is. Her emotions are slightly hostile but mostly playful at this point. I believe she knows she can't harm me but she's trying to express her dislike about something. Likely she's remembering the time Mina and I spent sparing and that has upset her.”

Mina, “Ah are you protecting your poor old mom Dremera? You're such a good girl.”  Mina had to fight to keep from laughing as Dremera began to kick at Naidra with a renewed passion.

While Mina was struggling to keep from laughing Flora was in an all out war. Her right hand had clamped down on her mouth and she dared not remove it as she watched the young sister. It was only after she'd taken several deep breaths that she was able to steady herself. “I hope she never does that to me.”

Mina, “Of course not. She likes you.”

Naidra had a wide smile on her face despite all the emotions she'd shifted as Dremera finally halted her attack. Apparently now Mina had her attention as she quickly sprinted over towards her mother. Naidra took this time to walk over to Dan and look directly at his work station. The set up was rough but the test had only meant to be for some rough experimentation to begin with. She had other things on her mind. “Dan what do you plan to do once you're done helping Ridon?”

“I was thinking about studying the sister's mutations and trying to tackle the next big problem before it becomes one. We can't have a bunch of sisters Zarena's size walking around after all. Mina can you imagine what it'd be like if you were as tall as Zarena? You're already extremely heavy for your height.”

Mina didn't respond right away but waited until Dremera had leaped upon her. She wasted no time grabbing her daughter's tail and giving it a little pull. It didn't even come close to hurting the young faelom but it showed her that mommy was ready to play some more. “Dan I believe your daughter gets her energy from you at times. Now as for me being as tall as Zarena. I don't believe I'd be welcomed in the forest at all. I'd probably end up compressing Zarena's road even more if I tried to walk on it at that size.” Mina's increased size had also increased her speed as had her training. She found it far easier to pull back her hand in order to keep Dremera from taking hold of it like she used to.

Her mother wasn't suppose to move her hand that quickly. Dremera's immediate response was to pull her legs and hands underneath her body. If she leaped into the air with all her strength there would be no way Mina could move her hand quickly enough. Before she could do that though Dremera quickly glanced around to make sure she knew where her father was. She didn't want to risk leaping onto him at full force. Seeing that he was speaking to Naidra about something she refocused on her mother's hand.

Naidra, “I see. Have you brought this up to the others?”

“We've spoken about it a bit. Now we don't want to tamper with the Luvarian's designs. I'm not even sure if we could change how the sister's function anyway. We don't have the same knowledge as them. Naidra perhaps you can answer this. Why do the sister's bodies suffer from such hunger and reduce whenever they increase in size?”

“The bodies of the faelom seeks to achieve a certain point. This point isn't by design but rather a reflection the faelom's mystic self. As you know our bodies are in part a spell. You could say that the bodies of the faelom look towards their spiritual strength and say this is what I should be and seek to achieve it. The problem is that while the body knows what it should be able to achieve it doesn't know how to achieve it. Eating is in truth a substitute.”

Flora, “So our bodies should be able to sustain themselves without hunger?”

“Well more or less. The problem is that your spiritual strength isn't a constant but your body is no where near as malleable. A sudden dip in your spiritual strength could easily cause you to fall into a regressive slumber which I must say is far better then dieing.”

Dan, “You said their bodies seek to reach a point. You didn't say anything about their size though.”

Naidra, “Correct! Mutations actually are movement towards that point. So let's take Zarena for example. It's quite possible that she could be freed of her hunger yet only two meters tall. That said the mutations she would have to develop in order to achieve that point would be staggering. Why. She'd be like one of us minus the link to the citadel and connected awareness.”

Flora, “Does that mean Zarena would have been even larger if she hadn't developed such mutations? How does that work for Mina as well? We're the same height but she's so much stronger then the wrest of us. Shouldn't she need to eat more to maintain that strength?”

“In Zarena's case yes she would be even larger now then she is if she hadn't developed her mutations. It happened quietly but Zarena is actually smaller now then when she first grew to sleeper status they all are. However, as the changes happened in all of them and over such a long period of time while being seen so rarely it was largely unnoticed. Mina is actually using more energy then you Flora. Her spirit just learned how to better direct energy into her body whenever it reshaped her flesh.”

Mina, “So if Dan actually found a way for us to alter our bodies without sleeping we wouldn't grow anymore?”

Naidra, “That may not be the case. Your body would be reshaped into a better reflection of your nature. The more certain your nature the more certain changes. Flora if you were to sleep I'm quite certain that within ten years you would develop a mutation of your own. Your spiritual presence is very note worthy just like Mina's or Maria's. I can't say for certain what change you would undergo though.”

Flora was actually rather surprised and took a moment to consider what Naidra said. “So you can be certain I would develop a mutation? Could you determine what sisters would and wouldn't develop one?”

“Within certain parameters yes.”

***********************************************************************************

Seventeen brothers currently set within the Luvarians' library. This wasn't the one open to the apprentice however but rather one restricted to those full Luvarians and those they had invited. A few protectors were in the room with them. It was Joseph who spoke. “That is amazing. I didn't really put much thought into what would happen once the sisters grew too large for the forest or if they would even grow too large. I was mostly focused on helping them to end their hunger. So Dan I know Mina had you looking into this a bit. Have you come up with any ideas?”

Dan, “I've began looking into the Luvarians works on how dragons change their forms and shape shifting in general. Just as we're helping the sisters to learn to channel energy into their bodies naturally I wonder if the secret to allowing their spirit to adapt their flesh at will could be found there. Perhaps if we could teach them how to transform their bodies they could then allow their nature to reshape their bodies. I've also reading through the studies the Luvarians conducted on such transformations especially the ones that involve flesh and blood samples before the alterations were made, during their slumber and after their awakening.”

“What have you managed to find out?”

“It turns out growth was one of the easiest methods to implement improvements in an individual faelom but it wasn't the only one that was desired. The mutations was a feature that was abandoned you see as attempts to build such features into them weren't working out. The Luvarians were quite surprised whenever after slumbering some of the faelom woke up changed. The protectors told us themselves that the likelihood of a faelom developing a mutation depended on three main factors. It depends on how strong of a spirit the faelom has or in other words their natural magic ability, it depends on how large they were before slumbering and it depends on how long they sleep. The larger and the longer they sleep the more like they are to change.

One goal was to ease the transformation process. The problem was that between the faelom's already very advanced design, the complexity of the magics involved and the amount of energies that it required information was very limited. A simple spell or potion wasn't going to do the job. Now I've been reading a few books that talk about the notion of using a dynamic spell or sort of living magic that could adapt to the sister and help guide the process so perhaps instead of having to slumber for years or decades a faelom might slumber for only weeks or months and not only reduce her size but insure some form of development.”

For a moment the room became full of private conversations as the various brothers looked at one another. Naidra had a large smile on her face as she noted that Dan was talking about Azon's work. It was a shame that he hadn't been alive when he would have had the full resources of the guild at hand. It likely would have made a serious difference. With the original energy source their problems might have even been solved before they came about. Mirin spoke up a short while later. “That sounds like a very powerful type of magic. How far did the project actually get?”

“I'm still studying the theories. One thing they examined is the issue that comes about with such magic resistance beings. Simply put the better built something is the harder it is to make change to it. This unfortunately extends to improvements as well unless the structure was designed to be improved within a certain line. Now the sisters were designed to be improved but only along a certain path. Yet whenever a sister's body grows it still becomes far easier to change then what it normally is.”

Alaina turned her attention to Naidra and gave her a large smile. Dan had made some progress into Azon's studies and seemed to be on his way to understanding it. Currently he was leading into the dangers of uncontrolled mystic alterations and how a change that's beneficial while in the presence of a massive amount of mystic energy might lead to your death whenever that energy was removed. There was a bit of a blip in their combined thought processes as the protector playing with Dremera got a little bit of a surprise. Even though Dremera had been in the citadel for several months now it was hard not to change their thoughts to observe the young faelom. It simply felt so wonderful to have such a young and energetic faelom in the citadel again.

***********************************************************************************

“What are you doing?” Maria felt rather strange as Alaina focused on her stomach and then very gently touched it with her finger. There was a slight tingling and then she pulled her hand back only to do it again. The fact that the only answer to her question was another poke made Maria feel all the stranger.

“Okay Maria you're not going to be sparring today.” As she spoke Alaina opened her hand and pressed all the fingers of her right hand into her stomach covering a larger area and giving her a better feel of what was going on within her. Her stomach felt hopeful as if her body was filling with life but at this point even Alaina couldn't be certain.

“What are you talking about? Why can't I train?”

“You might be pregnant.” Alaina chose to give Maria a very large smile now. Rather then waiting for Maria to respond she quickly placed her free hand over Maria's mouth. “I said that you might be pregnant. Due to the changes in your body from a standard faelom it's somewhat more difficult to be certain at this early age. Your body seems to be undergoing the changes brought upon by housing an additional spirit within it.”

Maria could hardly feel it whenever she felt something coming to wrest upon her shoulder. Exactly how long her mother's hands had been wresting her hand upon her shoulder and if they were just wresting on her or holding her up she didn't know. She did know she had a massive smile on her face whenever she turned to look at her. “The odds are good right? I mean Alaina you wouldn't say that if the odds weren't good right?”

“They are well enough within favor of you being pregnant for me to make some changes to your training and what experimentation you may participate in. As the training serum hasn't even been fully tested with healthy faelom that aren't pregnant you won't be take that any longer. You won't be sparring either but we'll be focusing on an exercise program. At your current size you should be fine for regular exercises.” Alaina went quiet for a moment more and once again focused on Maria's stomach. The spiritual energies flowing into Maria's body had been changing due to her training and the use of the glyph. This made it more difficult for Alaina to be certain she was pregnant but it seemed very likely to her. “I estimate we'll know for certain in five days.”

“Did you hear that Mommy we'll know in five days?”

Flora gave her daughter a large smile and went from helping to hold her up to hugging her. “This is wonderful Maria.” As she spoke Flora could hardly believe what was happening. She knew that Maria and Joseph were actively working on having a child but even with two daughters of her own Flora didn't expect to be a grandmother for quite some time. Having had two daughters of her own already Flora was doing a better job of composing herself but she could feel Maria practically vibrating with excitement. “Alaina what is this going to mean for Maria's speed?”

“Oh the running around absolutely has to stop! Keep in mind that while your body is able to endure the sudden accelerations the child's won't be especially in the early stages of development. There is to be absolutely no enhanced speed use until we know if you're with child. Then if you are with child which you most likely are Maria you are not to use your augmented speed until you give birth.” After a few months of pregnancy an unborn sister would have been safe within Maria's womb even at her speeds. On the chance she was with a son though the human child would still be killed by it quite easily.

Normally being told not to use her speed especially over an extended time period would have felt like a thump on the head to Maria. This time it brought up a great wave of fear. She used her speed so freely that often she did so without thinking about it. “Oh no! What am I going to do? I. I don't think about it whenever I use my speed half the time it's just a part of me. I can't kill my child because I forgot not to run. I can't!”

Flora, “Maria calm down. You're going to be alright and so will your child.”

“How can you be sure though? I mean what if I make a mistake?”

“You haven't harmed Joseph with all that running around you do. I've seen how careful you are around and I know you'll be just as careful if not more so with your child. Of course. We may just have to have one of the protectors walk you around until it's time for you to give birth.” Flora gave a slight chuckle whenever her daughter smiled back at her. “Now Alaina how certain are you seriously? I know you said you were certain enough to change Maria's training habits but even a slight chance seems like that would involve such temporary changes.”

After a moment Alaina gave a slight nod. “My estimation is ninety three percent accurate based on the data I was able to gather. There is a very small chance that the shift I feel in Maria's body is due to her increased spiritual awareness and the training she has been undergoing. It is very unlikely though. If I ignore certain variables I would say I'm certain that she is with a child now. I am simply factoring in standard uncertainty variables due to the testing she's been undergoing.”

“I have to tell Joseph.” Immediately Maria focused on Alaina. “Don't you dare or any of the other protectors dare tell him before I can.”

Alaina gave Maria a massive grin and removed her hand. “Let me walk you to Joseph. I hope you don't mind if I want to see his reaction.”

“You're welcome to come but I get to tell him. The same goes for you mom.”

“Don't worry Maria I wouldn't take such a wonderful moment from you.”

***********************************************************************************

“Joseph come on over here.” As she spoke Maria settled down in the floor. While the ceiling of the citadel was large enough for a sister even of her size to walk around the furniture hadn't been made for them. It didn't matter much as she continued to give Joseph a large smile. He had been working on some calculations with Dan and Ridon but didn't seem to mind the distraction. She knew that he wouldn't mind once she told him the good news. She waited until he was within arms reach to begin speaking. “Joseph I got some wonderful news from Alaina just a little while ago and we came right over to tell you.”

“What's that? Has your training progressed to a new level?”

“Not quite.” Maria felt like her smile was growing even larger as she looked into Joseph eye's. “According to Alaina there is a ninety three percent chance that I'm pregnant if we factor in all the strange testing rules you people use. If we ignore the uncertainty rules though she is certain that I am pregnant.” At first Joseph said nothing but Maria could see the news sinking into his head. Rather then worrying about him falling backwards though she found herself scooping him up as he moved forward to embrace her. There wasn't time to speak as his lips pressed against hers and for a moment she just held him there.

“Maria that is amazing! Alaina how did you notice?”

“There has been a shift in her body chemistry and the flow of mystic energies through her body. The shift in her energy indicates that there is another spiritual presence within her body but it's unlikely that it's within her flesh. This is of course one of the reasons that it's so difficult for production model faelom to become pregnant. The intense energies running through their body tend to wash away other spiritual presences that aren't strong enough to hold onto their forming body.”

As Maria listened to Alaina she remembered her studies. One question came up that she had once asked her mother before. “Does that mean we kill our own children just by being what we are?”

It didn't surprise Alaina when Maria asked her such a dangerous question. She knew the wrong answer would end up hurting her but she wanted to be honest as well. “Kill isn't the right word. It as if you are part of a river and the potential body within you a stone. You happen to be a very intense part of the river due to your own strength so only strong spirits can hold onto that rock. Dragons and even very powerful mages face this problem. It's why children of truly powerful beings tend to be very rare.”

“So would my training be hurting my child?”

“No. I can say that with certainty.” Alaina was glad to see Maria smile and seem to relax. What she'd told her wasn't the complete truth though. The more powerful a sister became the more difficult it would be for them to become pregnant. The only way this could be changed is if they found a way to shield their womb from the harsh energies running throughout their bodies or managed to convert those energies into a more nurturing type. Typically the larger a sister grew the more difficult it would be for her to become pregnant. Alaina would have even been stunned if Zarena became pregnant. There were mitigating circumstances fortunately.

Maria did feel relieved about Alaina's response. Her thoughts were running as fast as ever though and one thing came to mind quickly. “What about my growing?”

“It is a tough balancing act you're in Maria. If your body isn't large enough it can't sustain the child. If your body has too much energy running through it the spirit has trouble making the connection to the body. Normally growing larger would make it more difficult for you to become pregnant which makes you Flora even stranger. This isn't like your normal growth though. Your natural energies are far gentler then the energy you obtain from eating.”

After a moment of consideration Maria glanced down at Joseph. “She's not just fibbing to keep me training is she?”

Now Alaina perked up a bit actually feeling somewhat insulted or was it teased? She didn't feel angry at Maria but she was surprised. It had been quite some time since someone other then another protector or Ridon had spoken to her that way. Rather then speak up she let Joseph take it. “What she's saying makes sense. I know how artificial mystic energies can damage the body and at times the mind of mages that use them extensively. You're better built then that but even then the natural magic that is part of your body would function better with your own spiritual energy then energy taken from eating.”

“Does that mean eating more would be bad for our child?”

Joseph turned to Alaina who spoke up this time. “Yes. It isn't that simple in truth but in general the more your body uses chemical energy to meet the demands of the mystic part of your body the more difficult it is for you to become pregnant and the more difficult it is for the child to survive within your womb.”

What could she do to make sure her baby survived? Maria glanced down at her stomach for a moment while shifting Joseph slight to the side. “Alaina do you know of anything that would help my child survive? You said for me to continue training but will that help my child's odds or hurt?”

“Nothing that would make any difference at this point. The Luvarians did try to find ways to tweak your birth rate but the methods that would have normally worked would have been detrimental to you. If you were to reduce the amount of mystic energy inside of your body then you could easily end up killing yourself. Not that such a thing is an easy task. I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph's technique did improve the birth rate in the production grade faelom but I don't mean a drastic increase.”

Joseph, “Alaina how did that work with the original energy source?”

“The original energy system was designed to be used for the faelom so compared to the energy they obtain from eating it was very easy for them to process and thus much easier on their children. It wasn't as easy as their own natural energies as those are truly suited for a faelom's body but it was much better then eating. I should also mention Joseph eating the life bloom actually improves a sister's chances of becoming pregnant. The fact that more of the energy provided from a bloom is already of a mystic nature and those that tend to promote healing makes it even better.”

Maria, “So I should only eat the life bloom while I'm pregnant.” Maria felt a little awkward whenever Alaina looked at her. The look seemed to say now what did I just tell you. “Sorry. I forgot. How is nothing I'm doing now able to make a difference though?”

“Maria it takes time to change the flow of mystic energy through a body. Especially whenever the body is as well made as yours. The only ways we could alter the flow soon enough to influence your chances of becoming pregnant would be violent and more likely to abort the child then to help it to form a connection to the body. I hate to use this comparison but the best thing I can compare it to is like creating a sentient undead. Doing anything to increase or diminish the flow of energy to the necromancer while they're raising the undead would be more likely to result in failure then help as balance and control is very important at that point.”

Maria, “Wouldn't returning someone to life be a better comparison?”

“No. It surprises many but the first moments of a natural life really has more to do with the understanding of death then the understanding of healing. If you were to say that life and death are two sides of the coin then right now your child is on the edge as far as I can tell. Don't worry this is the edge we all stand at whenever gaining our natural body.”

Joseph, “I haven't noticed an increase in the birth rate since the sister's began eating the life bloom.”

Alaina, “That's because you haven't even been here ten years. Believe me Joseph if one more sister becomes pregnant this year between Maria and Mina it's going to be considered two good years. I'm not sure if you realize this but if it wasn't for the claimed system and using alchemy to extend the lives of the brothers they would have died out a long time ago. The fact that the production grade faelom are so long lived is the only reason they continue as well. Whenever I said the use of the life bloom would increase the birth rate I only meant an increase of roughly seven percent. The life bloom will have to be refined a great deal more if you want to achieve a twenty percent mark.”

For a moment Joseph and Maria just looked at one another. It was Joseph who found his voice first. “Hold on. You said the life bloom would have to be improved a great deal more to increase the birth rate twenty percent. That's an extremely precise calculation. Alaina do the protectors know how to improve the life bloom?”

Alaina felt a slight rush of thoughts in her mind. The majority of them wanted to say yes so that was no contest. Others were wondering how much they should say. Joseph's life bloom was a wonderful creation and they hadn't seen anything precisely like it. However they had seen similar projects in the past and the techniques used with them could be used to better the life bloom. “Yes.”

Joseph, “Then could you show me the books that could be used to better the life bloom or have those books already been given to Mirin?” As Joseph spoke he realized that handing the books over to Mirin would lead to Mirin understanding more about the life bloom then him. However, at the moment Joseph's interest in his own creation was rather limited. He was more interested in working with Dan on the sister's mutations and finding ways to better his glyph design and training practices. He was happy with his work with the life bloom and felt ready to let others take it further.

“No. Mirin has been more interested in ways to improve the energy gathering and distribution system. If you want we could provide Mirin and Nathan with copies of the books in question. Well some of the books others we can't provide too apprentices.”

“What about with the permission of a Luvarian?”

“No. Your rank is sufficient that you may read these books but you may not grant access to them. Well you can read some of the books they're a few involved in this area that you aren't even allowed to read. The magic contained within the books is tricky.”

“You mean dangerous?”

“No. I mean tricky. It is truly deceptive. The books I'm talking about are well. Joseph could you truly understand the forest as you do now if you had only read about it rather then seen it with your own eyes?” Alaina hoped Joseph would understand what she was talking about. Some mystic knowledge couldn't be conveyed with the limitations of words. Reading about it wouldn't work. To truly perceive and understand certain levels of magic required one to experience and touch it. Unfortunately if the mind wasn't prepared for such an experience the mind could end up being twisted.

“Are you talking about adaptive life magic?”

“You could say that. I'm talking about healing spells that if someone was cursed so they couldn't be healed the magic would naturally seek to find a way through the curse and would heal them anyway. I'm talking about curses that if not fully cured will regain their strength and adapt becoming resistant to removal like a virus. I'm talking about techniques that if applied to the life bloom would allow the trees to respond to the nature of the faelom and adapt fruit that's meant to be easily processed by them. I'm talking about spells that can shift and change on the page in order to make themselves more desirable to the reader.”

Joseph, “I understand. Without that kind of knowledge what kind of increase in the birthrate are we looking at?” Joseph was rather surprised whenever Alaina didn't respond right away. The expression on her face seem to indicate she was focusing. Was she simply deciding on if she wanted to answer him or not or did she have do some kind of calculation?

“With the knowledge that they could be given access to you could expect an increased birth rate of twelve or thirteen percent.”

“Make sure you tell Mirin and Nathan that whenever you tell them what books they're going to need to study. Now would we be looking at a general improvement to the food supply and how long will this take to implement?”

A slight chuckle escaped Alaina as she nodded her head. “Okay. Well how long it's going to take depends on how many resources you're willing to devote to the effort. It is unlikely that the current crop of life blooms can be altered sufficiently and if you attempted to do so it'd end up killing them. I'm afraid that the benefits of this knowledge will only be seen several years from now in a new crop. That is of course dependent on how well Nathan's efforts pay off as well. We're hopeful that his dealings with the dryad will yield worth while results.”

“A living spell that can adapt the trees to meet the needs of others. That would be a dryad.” For a moment Joseph felt like his head and been engulfed in a fog. “Are those higher level spells you mentioned actual spirits!”

“Not quite but they're close. Imagine them as half or three fourths of a spirit. Once you learn the magic and take it within yourself it uses part of your being to become something of a whole spirit that is now tied to you. Unfortunately one person can only play host to so many incomplete spirits and once you reach capacity you have two choices to learn more. Either you must go beyond your old limits or you must forget one of the spells you've already learned. There was much debate of whether forgetting such spells counts as killing a spirit or not back in the old days. For that reason some of the Luvarians refused to learn such spells and all who did were extremely picky about what ones they learned. Not to say that such high level forms of magic require learning such spells.”

“Except if you don't then all the burden of casting the spell falls directly on the caster.”

“Well yes.”

For a moment Joseph said nothing then he looked up at Maria and gave her a quick kiss. “We're going to need to make a crib for our child. Well I guess it's a little early for that as we don't know if we're having a son or a daughter. So Maria what do you have in mind for names?” While speaking with Alaina was interesting Joseph knew he had gotten off track. There was something far more important to  him then learning about high level forms of magic right now.

***********************************************************************************

Maria felt like her heart might leap out of her chest. It wasn't that she had been running but she had been using her speed much to her surprise. She'd simply been running in place. She had been running in place very quickly, on an incline for longer then she had expected. “What. What are you trying to do to me! I'm pregnant you know.” Maria had to go quiet for a moment as she glanced back at Naidra who was giving her a rather large grin.

“Yes you are! And it's wonderful.” It had been five days since they had realized Maria may be pregnant and now the protectors were certain of it. She still needed to exercise but they couldn't risk causing the unborn child to shift about. Making her a surface to run upon had been rather easy once they'd taken a little time to think about the situation and making it so she had to counter act gravity helped improved the quality of her exercise. “Come now Maria you're not using Joseph training potion any longer so we have to work to make up for that. This is the only time that you can get some real exercise as well given that you can't run around at the moment.”

“Yeah but. But you made me do all that lifting first!” Maria had to take in a deep breath to keep herself moving. Her legs were positively screaming that she shouldn't be wasting energy talking. Though part of her was saying that she should give Naidra a slap as Naidra couldn't risk hitting her back at the moment.

“You just need to keep going a little while longer. So have you and Joseph picked out some names yet?”

“Please don't make me talk!” Maria had to take in a few deep breaths to replace the air she'd used even as she tried to regain her focus. Despite all the effort she was putting into running she was barely able to counter act the force of gravity trying to drag her down as the surface she was running on offered very little resistance even with her claws. It had been Maria's intention not to use her claws but Naidra had pointed out that if the surface was built with the assumption she wouldn't use her claws there was the chance of a mistake. By building it with the expectation that she would use her claws that danger had been removed.

***********************************************************************************

Flora, “Naidra I thought you were suppose to be taking it easier on Maria?” As she spoke Flora was rather surprised by how hard Maria was breathing. Given her condition she would have probably be right in Naidra's face if she hadn't come to trust the protectors judgment.

“We are. Instead of trying to improve her combat skills or toughen her body up we're simply trying to make her body stronger and improve upon her stamina. This doesn't involve any sharp accelerations or well any accelerations at all actually. At Maria's size her developing child is more then safe enough from such stresses. Even if the child was male he would be more then well enough protected.”

Mina, “Are you sure? I know that I was rather active with Dremera but she was a sister and we don't know if Maria's child is a girl or not.”

Naidra, “I am positive. Plus I was supervising Maria the entire time to insure her child was safe.”

By now Maria had spent enough time breathing that she could speak a bit. “How was my baby doing during that run?”

“Well the child's mystic presence remained strong throughout your training and responded well to your increased activities.”

After a moment Maria gave a slight nod. “That's good. Now does this mean that I'm going to have a protector with me every time I do any training?”

“Yes. There is no reason for you to train without supervision with so little going on right now.”

Flora, “So little? I don't believe we've been this busy in quite some time. I thought we could relax whenever the village was rebuilt but it seems like one project keeps coming up after the other.”

Maria, “Well that's what happens whenever we let our society deteriorate without even realizing it.”

Flora gave a slight sigh and leaned back. Currently the women had gathered in one of the citadel's recreation rooms. It was fairly clear from looking around that the room had been meant for quiet conversation and relaxation. Likely it was a place for Luvarians who had reached their mental limit for the day to gather but Flora wondered. “Naidra would we have been allowed to relax in the room whenever the Luvarians were around?”

“There would have been nothing unusual about it. At times activity simply slowed down. All the needed materials had been gathered, customers were few and the Luvarians were currently occupied with other activities then experimentation. Why do you feel out of place.”

“I was just thinking. How close would we have been to the Luvarians if they were still around.”

Alaina, “Very close. We protectors weren't the only ones consulted for information or even ideas. A Luvarian who was uncertain as to what they should be doing would often consult other Luvarians or constructs. Well some Luvarians preferred to consult constructs.”

Mina, “How come?”

Naidra, “Other natural life forms tended to get on their nerves. They had become frustrated with the world views of what one might call natural life forms.”

Flora, “What about sexual relationships? Did the Luvarians after command a sister to mate with them?”

Naidra, “No. Well no they never commanded a sister to mate with them. It did happen and at times even we would end up sleeping with a Luvarian we were particularly fond of or at times a client.” A sharp snicker escaped Naidra as a memory flashed through her mind. “Oh I just remembered this one time. There was a visiting client and we thought he was attractive so one of us ended up having sex with him. No. It was not me or Alaina. Anyway, the next day he realizes we're not just simple constructs. It turns out he committed an act of infidelity and it could cost him his position. Then he learned that he couldn't buy the protectors who slept with him and not only that but that we have a hive mind. You should have seen how panicked he was trying to pay hush money.”

Maria, “How did the protector take it?”

Alaina, “She was embarrassed of course. He had actually thought she was some simple construct meant to provide sexual pleasure. We actually wanted to use the information against him.”

Mina, “How does that connected mind whenever it comes to sex anyway? I mean we all know when we've been having sex we can smell it. We even have a good idea what brother the sister in question had sex with. You go so far beyond that though. What happens whenever you don't find the same person attractive? That or what happens whenever you want to be particularly kinky?” As she said kinky Mina actually glanced over at Maria.

Maria, “Hey now. Why did you look at me whenever you said kinky?”

Mina gave Maria a large grin before speaking. “I remember a young lady having to wear some clothing to cover up the fact that she'd shaved off her fur a while back. Plus something about wanting to make sure you mate with Joseph at each size at least once so that you'll know what it was like.” As Mina spoke Maria wasn't even trying to act surprised. A large grin had formed on her face instead.

“So says the faelom who has her guy ramp up his endurance for special rough nights. I think it's more then wanting to mate with Dan without worrying about hurting him. I believe you want him to feel how strong you are.”

“Well maybe I do. How does that work for you though Alaina? I mean every protectors knows everything about Ridon that you do right?”

Alaina didn't hesitate to nod. “I don't know if I would have ever called the experience awkward. This was the reality we were born into after all. Well except for the original protectors and we aren't them. We do have memories and feelings we own which gives us a more powerful connection to them but as for keeping them private that has never been part of our being. It has worked out quite well overall I suppose. Due to our memories and our connected mind all of us have thousands of experiences to draw upon during sex. We know how to really bring out the pleasure for our lover and what to do for yourself as well.”

Flora, “Oh really! Well tell me are those methods of drawing out the pleasure protector only or could any of us learn them?”

Both Naidra and Alaina gave a slight chuckle before Naidra responded to Flora. “Well some of them are protector only. After all we currently have greater magic abilities then you do. The fact that our bodies are a standard size also helps with certain techniques. As you all grow they're some positions that just won't be possible for you.”

Flora, “Well then you'd better share some of these techniques with us before we grow too large!” By now Flora had a huge grin on her face. Part of her was actually wondering if Naidra would end up giving them a book to read. When she considered how the protectors tended to answer most questions that seemed very possible.

After a moment of silence Alaina gave a quick nod. “Very well. We'll share some of the things we've learned over the centuries.”

***********************************************************************************

Dremera currently set a short distance away from her father. He was working on some of the strange smelling liquids as usual. She wasn't certain what they are but she had seen enough to know that every once in a while he did something really neat with them. One of the protectors was a short distance away watching the both of them. Dremera hadn't seen her but she also knew every once in a while the protector would tease the top of her head. So far the young girl's attempts to catch her had proven futile though. It didn't help that she was focused on other tasks. As Dan worked Dremera opened her mouth and forced air out of her throat. A slight squeal came out but that wasn't the sound she wanted to make. Her mouth snapped shut before her father noticed and then she tried again. She was keeping it quiet at the moment. She had learned how bad her father's hearing was. Indeed all the males seemed to have issues with their ears.

Dan couldn't help but glance over his shoulder at Dremera from time to time. She had been setting so quietly just watching him that he wondered what was going through her mind. “Do you want me to stop working for a while so we can play Dremera?” Typically while he was working Dremera would be wondering the room finding things to amuse herself. That or she would be practically climbing onto his work table to see what was happening. The fact that she didn't get up immediately and come over to him struck Dan as a little strange and he stood up pushing his work to the back of his mind for a moment. “Okay young lady are you feeling well? You're normally not this still.”

It had been Dremera's intention to quietly work on making the sound that referred to her father. It seemed she had his attention now though or he had decided to give her his attention and that made her smile. Dremera gave a slight purr as her father walked over to her. The hope that he was going to pick her up popped into her mind but she pushed it away quickly. She had realized long ago that he couldn't carry her like he used to. She was still quite happy whenever he placed his hand on her head and she pressed up against his hand. Perhaps he just wanted to play with her some. She could work on making sounds later.

“Okay I believe I could use a break. Let's see what could we play with?” As he spoke Dan began to rub his daughter's head until he reached behind her ears. She gave a sharp yelp and recoiled from him almost immediately. They both know she could be put down by tickling her behind the ear. Dan gave her a big grin whenever Dremera got down on all fours and prepared to chase him. He didn't need anymore prompting and quickly sprinted away from his daughter while he heard her claws scratching against the hard stone floor. She was better at keeping her traction these days but if she got too excited she would fall back into old habits. This let him get a head start.

Perhaps it was all the times that Mina had stopped her from chasing after her father. Perhaps it was just knowing that he was thinking of her. Whatever it was Dremera loved playing chase with her father. Typically the games began with her chasing him then at times it moved into him chasing her. This wasn't always the case. At times he couldn't chase her after spending so much time running away from her he just didn't have the energy. The trick wasn't catching up to her father though but rather taking hold of him without knocking him over.

Well this was stupid. As Dan ran around the table he wasn't too surprised whenever Dremera chose to jump over the table. She landed a short distance from him and he did quite an impressive leap of his own to keep her from tacking hold of his leg. As he ran from his daughter he realized that he was playing a very physically active game in a work area. The protector hadn't made any move to stop him from doing so though. Indeed when he risked a glance at her he realized that she was smiling at them. This wasn't the first time he'd shown such poor judgment after all. What he needed to do was make it to the door and make a dash for one of the training rooms or another area suited for some rough housing.

As Dan turned a corner he had to slow down and Dremera made a grab for his legs again. She missed and this cost her some of her speed. If she had wanted to she could have used her tail like a switch as she had done with Joseph. She didn't want to hurt her father though. She didn't want to hurt Joseph anymore either but she liked hissing at him so she still did that. The feeling of a hiss in her mouth whenever she saw him just felt natural. As Dremera managed to catch up to Dan once again she quickly began to pass him. By getting in front of him she had managed to catch him before. What she needed to do was get hold of his hand or some part of his upper body. Taking his legs out could work to if she could anchor him so he didn't fall face first onto the ground.

It was a good thing Mina had done so much to get and keep him in shape. His little girl had grown so much in just a year. As she dashed ahead of him Dan tried to alter his direction but that meant he slowed down. This proved to be a mistake as he felt Dremera catch hold of him. When a sharp Da escaped her though all thoughts of running stopped and he found himself nearly falling over. It wasn't surprised whenever he found himself being held up a moment later and looked down to see that it was Dremera. “Dremera are you trying to say dad?”

“Da, Da.” Dremera frowned a bit. She had figured out how to make part of the sound but getting it just right was proving difficult. When her father gave a slight shout and quickly wrapped his arms around her in a hug she felt very proud of herself and happy. She still wanted to get the sound right.

“Now I just wonder if you're trying to say Dad, Dan or Dad Dan. I swear young lady we're going to have a little talk if the first thing you ever call me is Dan.” Dan gave a slight chuckle and continued to smile at his daughter. “Okay the work can wait we have to go tell your mother.”

***********************************************************************************

Dremera was moderately annoyed. She liked being praised but she wasn't trying to say DaDa. Even as Mina hugged her the little girl was growing increasingly annoyed. Couldn't they tell that she was trying to say Dad? The word existed in her mind so why was it so hard to force her mouth to make it? Whenever she would say DaDa though the others just wanted to hug on her and that was providing an annoying distraction. She was already beginning to squirm a bit in her mother's grip. She was quite relieved whenever Mina set her down and she quickly retreated to stand next to her father and quietly begin working on her words again.

It had been Mina's first instinct to hug Dan and Dremera whenever he'd given her the news. Whenever she'd said DaDa though it had been hard to contain herself. “This is wonderful isn't it! Her vocal cords are already shifting so she can make simple words.”

Alaina, “I would say they've already shifted.” As she spoke Alaina took a moment to look over at Dremera. She really wanted to examine the young girl's throat but it was clear that she was feeling crowded at the moment. Typically a faelom infant new certain words months before she could speak them. These words were often very important ones. As they indicated who she most wanted to protect or who she considered the greatest threat. For an infant faelom to consider you a threat was typically considered a bad thing. Back when the Luvarians was around this would have meant someone had harmed the faelom repeatedly and an investigation would be required. Those days were gone but it would still carried very heavy social implications.

Flora, “Well she sure is trying isn't she?” Flora had a large smile on her face as she walked over to Dan and Dremera and crouched down bringing herself closer to both their levels. “Are you trying to say Dad or Dan? Which one is it Dremera?”

In response to Flora's question Dremera held up a single finger meaning first. She had been asked these questions several times before and picked up on their meaning. One finger referred to the first item asked for while two fingers referred to the second. She didn't like it whenever someone asked her about three items for a long time. Now she knew to indicate the third item she needed to hold up one finger with one hand and two with the other.

Flora, “Dad! Well then D, D.” Flora gave a slight yelp whenever Dremera gave her a quick smack on the nose and a rather annoyed look. After a moment of silence she couldn't help but chuckle and grin at the young girl. “Okay I understand. You know the word but you're having trouble forming it.”

The annoyance had finally reached Dremera's limit. Not only were they making it hard for her to practice and distracting her but they were making the sound now. She didn't extend her claws but gave Flora a quick smack to convince her to be quiet. Unfortunately she felt this didn't improve her mood any and using her tail took hold of her father's hand lightly pulling on him. She wouldn't make him leave but she wanted to make it clear that she didn't want to be in the room with the other females. If they were going to distract her she much preferred the quiet protector and her father.

Mina, “Dremera you shouldn't hit someone like that!” Before she could move towards her daughter Flora held up a hand for her to stop.

“She didn't use her claws. Besides how else is she going to tell us that we're annoying her?”

Mina, “Well she could have hissed.”

Flora gave her head a slight shake as she stood up. “Now if she hissed at me I might believe she's mad at me. Dremera is just trying to say we're annoying her and she wants left with her father. I should have realized that with the way she retreated to Dan. Now whenever you can talk young lady that hitting is going to have to stop. You don't just hit another sister whenever they're annoying you.” Flora knew that Dremera couldn't understand what she was saying at the moment. Her firm tone seemed to get through to the young girl who took on a somewhat admonished pose though it was clear she still wanted to leave with her father.

Mina, “Fine. Still if she makes a habit of that I'm going to have to do something about it. Even if she can't talk yet that isn't how you're suppose to behave.”

Dan, “Well if she does it again perhaps she'll get a little time out. Flora was just trying to help her after all.” Dan wasn't certain if he should leave with Dremera or not. He had decided to let the event slide as Flora was okay with it but if she looked like she was going to hold a grudge again then something would have to be done. “I'm not sure if I should leave with her or not though. I don't want to reward her for such behavior.”

Mina, “Let's just have a seat together and talk for a bit. We were just talking about the path Zarena had made and how to keep from discouraging animals from using it as well as how we might keep something from spreading along the road that would normally have trouble moving into such regions.”

***********************************************************************************

 “Shouldn't you be in there? You're a shaman after all.” Kersara was rather surprised to find Kelah setting on the beach looking out over the water. It was one of the first times in quite a while that she'd seen the orc when she wasn't busy.

“The work they're doing isn't one of my strong points truthfully. Nightfang requires a rather strict contract so it's hard to contract with other spirits and wolves don't typically worry about the balance of the natural order.”

“I thought all shaman tended to the needs of nature.”

A sharp chuckle escaped Kelah before she could keep it contained. She didn't mean to offend her friend but the notion that all shaman worried about the balance of nature was immensely amusing to her. “No! Oh by the spirits no! Some shaman are able to tend to the balance of nature like my father. Other shamans only tend to the parts of nature of the spirit they represent. Nightfang doesn't care whether or not I appreciate the purifying and renewing influence fire has on the environment. I would need a contract with a spirit of fire to do that and honestly with the demands Nightfang puts upon me I don't believe I could handle another contract right now.”

“I see. Okay that makes sense. Then how do you grow in power though? That's been really bothering me. I mean Nightfang can only offer you so much power right? What happens whenever it's the best he can give?” As she spoke to Kelah Kersara actually found herself feeling a bit annoyed with Nightfang. She didn't like the idea of the spirit having such influence on her friend especially if it hindered her development. The fact that Kelah continued to smile told her that this wasn't the entire story though.

“For a spirit to intrust you with the full power it can offer would mean one of two things. You either have a very weak spirit that didn't have much power to offer or you and the spirit in question have come to a truly beneficial agreement. Kersara I am no where near the peek of what Nightfang can offer me. I have a long way to go before I reach that point. In general though once a shaman does reach that point they have a few options. First they can help their patron grow more powerful. This is typically considered the best way to go. Secondly they can contract with other spirits that don't compete with their patron. Depending on how powerful the patron is this can be tricky as they could be competing for you. Third you abandon your patron for a more powerful one. This can seriously hurt your ability to deal with other spirits in the future and the loss of power may be greater then you believed. The final option is you develop other abilities.”

After a moment Kersara gave a slight nod. “So what is going to happen as you get closer to that peak?”

“Have you seen any other orcs with teeth or nails like mine?” After speaking Kersara opened her mouth for a moment revealing her teeth. While typically orcs had well made teeth hers were even more predatory then the norm.

“Nightfang is altering your body?”

“That's right. Nightfang is powerful enough to reshape the flesh of those he contracts with. In my case the changes have been gradual and over a long time period.”

“So what would happen if you made a contract with a powerful spirit of water?”

“If it was powerful enough you might eventually learn to take on the form of water yourself.”

“Then your father can become lightning?”

“The old man wishes he could.” A slight chuckle escaped Kelah though this one was far more friendly then the first shocked laughter. “No. My father can't become lightning. My father actually has several contracts unlike me. I suppose your males told you about his use of lightning in the shadow realm. The spirit of lightning my father contracts with doesn't have the type of power to give such a gift to him though it has given him some nice gifts.”

“Now whenever you say gifts are we talking about things that are given free of charge? As whenever I give someone a gift there isn't any expectation of repayment. It's just something that I've given them.”

“A spirit never gives anything freely unless it benefits in the process as well. Even if it does benefit it's often going to try to increase how much if benefits. He's had to make some deals with them. This doesn't mean that every gift requires a different deal with the spirit. Most of my abilities are covered in a single long term agreement I have with Nightfang.” As Kelah spoke she was beginning to consider her wording. If Kersara asked too much about Nightfang she would have to end the conversation. Some of the things she'd learned about Nightfang needed to be kept secret. She hadn't learned everything she knew about him from Nightfang after all. Some of it she had learned from her father. 

Those secrets she had learned from her father had an even older history. At one point someone in her line had learned a few things Nightfang didn't want others to know. This had been used to negotiate for certain gifts. Now Nightfang would bestow these gifts upon any person taught those secrets provided the teacher only taught one other person. If they ever taught more then one they would have to deal with Nightfang's wrath which could cost them all their gifts. Kelah knew that the spirit hoped that one day the secrets would go untaught or all those who knew them would die. Nightfang had even offered her some very nice gifts if she would agree never to teach another person. Unfortunately that would mean for the secrets to be past down she would have to die.

“Well what about a good spirit? I know they're spirits of hope and healing after all.”

“Don't confuse receiving help with receiving a gift. A spirit of healing will help you heal because that's in its nature to do so. Such a spirit may not even care if you're a horrible person or not. Unless the spirit happens to know that you're spreading sickness. Even such a spirit is often going to require a price in order to bestow a gift upon you. Now in the case of a spirit of hope. It may bestow a gift upon someone without charge but its purpose will be to inspire hope in others. Thus it gains more then it loses in helping them. That would be a rare occasion. Often such spirits prefer to make a deal with the person in question to move things further in their favor.”

After a moment Kersara gave a slight nod. “I'm not sure if you've heard about this but we have some information on Nightfang. Apparently the original spirit hunters had some kind of deal with him. If you would like I could speak to Julia and see if we could lend you a few books about him. That might let you make a better deal with him.”

“Now that would be appreciated! You have some pretty old books don't you?”

“Yes. I hope you don't mind me asking but can you read our writing though?”

“I. Uh. No.” Kelah could read. However, the language she knew how to read and write was the language of the orcs. In particularly the language of their shamans in which they recorded information about certain spirits so that it would never be forgotten. She had never had reason to learn how to read the beast people's language.

“Well I might be able to have it translated for you. Do you know if we have any records of your writings?”

“I do not. My father can read your language though I'm sure he'd be happy to translate any such books for us.”

“You're lucky. If I wanted to read a book written in another language I'd probably be forced to learn it.”

“Why is that?”

Kersara gave her head a slight shake as she remembered how things used to be. “For a long time brothers would pretty much handle any such situation. They would translate the book for us and give us the translated copy. Lately things have changed though. They're so busy at the moment and so are we. You've seen how I've been working the girls I'm sure. Plus there is the fact that we read and think much faster then our brothers. You sort of have to whenever you run at speeds like ours.”

“I've not heard you talk much about your brothers especially like that.”

Kersara knew that she was implying that the males of their species was different then them. Normally this would have been seen as a huge mistake on her part. She wasn't worried about that with Kelah though. She knew how to keep secrets and walls were coming down. As the brothers became more powerful they would want to step out into the open as well. That is if Zarena didn't push them out in the open. “Kelah do you have any stories about human males being among our numbers?”

“We know that you take them and we've seen them when we've visited. You even mate with them at times. But yeah we have stories about human males going further back then that especially involving earlier negotiations. We even have stories about mistakes that were made in the past. There is Lidah's folly as one of the primary ones.”

“What happened?”

“They were a group of three human males that had come to speak terms with us with one of the beast girls. You see we had exceeded our allowed population and they had come to talk about a plan to reduce the population. The original plan was apparently to restrict how many children we could have even further and allow things to naturally balance out over the next few decades. Well Lidah got it into her head to capture the males and use them as hostages. She had it in her head that the reason our numbers was restricted was because you feared us. Well things didn't go as planned. Our population was reduced to acceptable limits within the day.”

“Wow. I guess we came down on you pretty hard.”

A slight chuckle escaped Kelah as she shook her head. “When you say we I bet you think it was your fellow females that reduced our numbers.”

“You mean it was the males?”

“The story goes that after escaping a dozen males accompanied by three females appeared atop a near by mountain. The females held the orcs off while the males summoned fire from the sky that even reached into the shadow realm not only destroying a large part of the physical village but changing its spiritual representation as well. Several of the guardian spirits of the village were lost in these flames.”

For a moment Kersara said nothing but found herself thinking of Mirin. She had seen him use fairly powerful spells to devastate large regions but she didn't know of any spells like that one. “Wow. That is impressive.”

“Even if we can't beat you in the physical world we always thought we could escape to the shadows if need be. Well that day destroyed such hope completely. From what my father told me about your current mages though such destructive ability has been lost.”

“Yeah. If you would have allied with the spirits against us we might have had to wake up a sleeper these days. After the Amalgam we've had to have a long hard look at ourselves. Plus Zarena scolded us for a lot of things.”

“I'll say. Helping to start a new village and being more open with us. It felt kind of strange whenever I returned home a few weeks ago to speak with my father about our progress here. The difference between how the orcs here see you and the ones at home is quite astounding. I guess whenever you live with others and work with them your view point tends to change a bit. Oh but that meeting was such a head ache! You wouldn't believe how many annoying questions I had to answer about fishing and why we're not sending back more fish after all the resources we took to set this village up. My head was positively pounding and I was petting my axes by the end of it.”

“Seriously! They were that frustrating?”

“Yes! They don't seem to understand that fishing isn't like hunting. You tell them that the water spirits are upset and they think in terms of earth spirits because they've never had to deal with water spirits born from the ocean. Now just whenever we begin to really learn to fish the amount of fish in the area begins to go down. Apparently that changes with the seasons. The colder the weather the harder it is going to be for us to fish. Apparently a lot of the orcs back in the main village didn't think they'd have to spend much time hunting for meat with all the fish they'd be receiving.”

“I know what that's like. Whenever I returned to the village a bunch of sisters started complaining about the meat they've been eating and wanting to try fish. Well we finally managed to send enough to last for a while but the only thing they ate for five days after that was fish for breakfast lunch and dinner. Now they're out of fish again and I might end up just punching the next sister who ask me whenever they're getting more fish.”

“Hm that's different to. Kersara from time to time I've notice you referring to yourself as a faelom. What caused that change?”

“Faelom is apparently our name of origin. Some of the brothers started using it to refer to us and it's slowly been bleeding into our language. A lot of the books they've been studying also use that term to refer to us. It's our production name.”

***********************************************************************************

Currently Ridon's head rested between Alaina's breast as he looked up towards the ceiling. His heart rate was returning to normal while she gently ran her hands over his body. He would have explored hers more but she'd exhausted him. “So you don't mind the orcs being in the citadel?”

“There is nothing unusual about it. Perhaps some of them will become apprentices and Luvarians in time. They have been exchanging what they know of the spirits of now for what we know of the spirits of the past and helping with the last parts of the forest redesign. It seems a mutually beneficial trade to me and the other protectors.”

Alaina could hold such a cold ruthless view at times. On other subjects though she was warm and open. If nothing else the Luvarians didn't seem to care about what your species was. At least they didn't seem to. “Okay Alaina I have to ask. Is there any species that the Luvarians tended to dislike?”

“That's more of a regional question. In one of the more forested regions the area was controlled by ogres and I mean truly controlled by them. There were a few settlements in the area belonging to dwarfs and humans but they were the exception. If it hadn't been for the dwarfs and their tunnels it would have been easy for the ogres to cut them off. Luvarians from that region tended to have a great dislike for ogres. Then they're the dragons of the spire mountains. The Luvarians of that region weren't fond of dragons as well the dragons weren't fond of them.”

“What about kobolds?”

“There have been a few kobold Luvarians in their history but only a few. Often they were one of the few intelligent ones who sought to use the Luvarian's knowledge to elevate their species above their current and long lasting situation. I have no idea how those projects worked out. We lost contact with them and the ones in the forest were not part of such an attempt. The fact that the Amalgam made those winged kobolds was its own project. Now my turn. What do you think of your own little Amalgam? She's coming along nicely isn't she.”

Ridon gave his head a slow but deliberate nod. “She is. Well she's very energetic don't you think?”

“Fire, life and hope what kind of spirit did you expect?”

After a moment Ridon gave a slight chuckle. “You're right about that one. Thanks to the contract I made with her I can practically feel her developing even now. Is there any reason that you suggested the first gift I ask for is resistance to heat and cold?”

“You needed to start somewhere and those tend to be beneficial aspects to have.” Alaina had been rather impressed with how smoothly Ashas rebirth had gone. The newly reformed spirit was still rather weak but she was progressing nicely under Ridon's guidance with assistance from Joseph, Dan and Julia. Now she had to wonder what he was going to do with the spirit. He had gotten into her creation but would he take it further?

“I'm thinking about making her a body that she can use while in the physical world. She still has trouble slipping between the worlds at this point and I don't believe she's entirely comfortable in ours. I'm kind of curious to see what she'd do on her own. I have no doubt that she'd seek to gain more power of course but what about beyond that?”

It actually made Alaina rather happy to hear that Ridon was thinking about providing Ashas a body. “What kind of body are you thinking about?”

“Well for now perhaps a simple body. She's pretty weak right now but growing more powerful quickly and it might be handy to have something that would restrict her a bit. That is until she can learn the rules of operating in our world. Eventually I'd like to give her a body that could adapt with her. I'm thinking she could serve as an assistant or perhaps as an extra layer of protection. I am really curious to see what she'll want to do as her mind develops more though.”

“So you just want to see where she goes?”

Chapter 44 by happiest_in_shadows

“Part of me does. Well I want to put up a few road blocks to certain paths of course. I don't want my first Amalgam trying to kill us like the other one did after all. She's not really powerful enough to be much help right now but she has a lot of room for growth. I think she's been feeding on the hope that everyone's been feeling with all the changes happening. Perhaps I should just let her nurture that hope and perhaps even encourage the life bloom to grow a bit.”

Alaina would have normally told Ridon about how dangerous letting such a spirit roam freely could be. It was possible that Ashas could end up being corrupted and turned from her current state into something else. Fortunately Ridon had taken her advice whenever forming the contract with Ashas so she had little concern for such things so long as she checked on the spirit from time to time. His desire to see her progress and develop was very encouraging as well. “Then would you say that you consider mostly finished?”

“No! No. There is still a lot to do. I mentioned the body just a little while ago after all. Rather then try to force her into a certain roll I'd really like to see how she develops.”

***********************************************************************************

Currently Joseph found himself looking at Maria's stomach. It had been two months since he'd been told she was pregnant and he still couldn't see any signs that she was pregnant. Though apparently other sisters could smell the change in her body now. Effectively at her current size her body didn't need to change much at all in order to carry the child. Especially in the child's current state of development. Part of him would have felt more comfortable if she would have shown some sign of being pregnant though at least she seemed certain of it. “Okay now what have you been thinking of as far as names for our child?”

Maria knew Joseph was thinking of their child whenever he looked at her. She didn't mind though and placed her hands on her stomach. “I've been having a really tough time with that actually. If we have a daughter I'm torn between Jillian and Katherine. If we have a son I was thinking either Jason or perhaps Elliot.”

“I think I prefer Elliot over Jason.”

“You do? How come?” Maria had to reposition herself a bit in order to set up. The soft material of the cushion she was setting on was nice but it offered limited support in certain positions.

“I don't know. I just think it sounds better.”

“Well what about the girl's names?”

“Katherine but where did you come up with that name? I mean it isn't the typical sister name.”

“I know it's a bit unusual. It's just well. These are different times and I was thinking about some of the books I've ready and the name just popped up in mind. Okay your turn. What are some of the names you've been thinking about?”

Joseph couldn't help but grin at Maria and feel a little awkward. He hadn't actually given names much thought as he had no doubt that Maria would be rather insistent on the subject.  “I thought it would be best if I left that up to you actually.”

It was impossible for Maria not to grin. Likely Joseph had heard how use the faelom were to naming their children. Whenever it wasn't guaranteed that the father would be a big part of their life it just became part of their society. Joseph was going to be part of their child's life though and Maria wanted his opinion even if that didn't mean she was going to go with the name he suggested. “Come on Joseph there has to be some names that you like. You might even know something better then I do. I promise that the worse thing I'll do is disagree with your suggestion.”

How strong of a disagreement did she mean? The thought made Joseph smile even as he took in a deep breath and settled down next to Maria. “Okay. How about Shannon if we end up having a daughter and Conner if we end up having a son?”

“Hm. Don't you think that would make our son sound like he's a tricky type? After all a con isn't a good thing.” As she spoke Maria once again leaned back so that while Joseph was setting up they would be closer to eye level. This also meant he didn't have to bring his head as far back in order to look into her eyes whenever he faced her.

“I don't believe so. I've always liked the name. In that case how about Brad?”

“Ugh no. I liked Conner more.” Maria couldn't help but giggle whenever Joseph gave her a rather annoyed look.

“I believe you're asking me for names just so you can disagree with me.”

“Well if I agree with you that means you're going to stop trying to come up with new ones.”

It was impossible for Joseph to keep from sighing and give his head a shake even as he smiled. He doubted Maria would drop the issue unless he came up with a name that she would really be happy with. At least he would need to come up with a name that she liked as much as the ones she'd suggested. “Okay. Okay give me a moment to think here. How about Ethan?”

“Hm well that might do.” Maria gave a sharp giggle whenever Joseph gave her a sharp smack to the thigh. “Hey now. I'm in a delicate condition you know.”

“That's why I only gave you one.”

“Ah! How could you!” Maria tried to push as much shock into her voice as she could but she ended up sticking her tongue out at Joseph.

“How have you been feeling since giving up your speed?”

“It has not been pleasant. My new responsibilities haven't been much fun either.”

“I thought you enjoyed helping out in the citadel.”

“I do but now I'm doing things that any sister could do. I really enjoyed making use of my speed to do things only that I could do. I felt more useful then.”

“I wouldn't say that. You're nurturing an unborn child. Now tell me how many sisters can say they're doing that right now?” It actually surprised Joseph whenever Maria seemed to freeze up for a moment. His heart seemed to become lighter as a massive smile appeared on her face and she looked down at her stomach. Both of her hands came to wrest just over their child and she rocked back and forth slightly before a small giggle escaped her.

“Yeah it is pretty amazing. This really is more important then anything I was doing before anyway. I believe that my exercise routine might have became even more intense since I became pregnant though! I can't believe how hard Alaina and Naidra had been pushing me. I was actually worried that having the glyph draining away my energies would end up depriving our child of the energy he or she needs to grow. They assure me that our child is fine though and that the exercise is actually quite good for them. I wonder. Do you think it has anything to do with forcing fresh energy into my body?”

“Do you mean like a river?”

After a moment of thought Maria gave a nod. “Yeah. You talk about how energy flows through our bodies. Well is there any difference between the energy we have in our body and the energy that flows into it as we use it?”

“I have no idea.” The thought actually made Joseph feel rather strange. Was it possible that mystic energy was like water? The longer it was stored within a person's body the more contamination that it suffered. How would that influence spell casting? What one of these energies would be more likely to reshape the body? If it truly was like water Joseph imagined it would be the fresh flowing water. After all it was moving water that tended to reshape the landscape. Typically flowing water was considered to be cleaner and superior to stagnant water as well. “That's quite a thought Maria.”

Removing her hands from her stomach Maria reached toward and pulled Joseph against her body. She wanted to hold him as well. She felt very happy in that moment as she considered the task before her. “So you believe that it's possible?”

“Well I'm sure that it's possible but that's an area of magic I really can't be certain about.”

“I'm surprised that one of the protectors hasn't shown up to answer the question. Well even if that isn't the case a fit body is better for carrying one then an unfit body. I have to make sure our child has as pleasant of an environment to develop in as possible.”

“And I have to make sure you have the nourishment to do that.”

“Yep! Joseph how about we go wonder around the citadel garden for a bit? I've been thinking that it's been quite some time since you and I went outside. I mean really wow. Now that I think about it I haven't been into the village for quite some time. I bet that the sisters living there were quite glad whenever the brothers began traveling there to eat again.”

“Yeah but now the dining area here is so empty. I believe it made the protectors feel a bit sad. It's kind of funny we look upon them as beings who need so little but they really seem to enjoy company.” Joseph didn't protest whenever Maria stood up taking him with her. He just let his body relax as she shifted his position so that she was cradling him against her body with one arm just underneath her massive right breasts. He could feel slight vibration run throughout that mass of soft warm flesh as she began to walk.

“Hey Joseph what are you going to do whenever I outgrow the citadel? I know some sections were designed for very large constructs but okay. What are you going to do if I outgrow the citadel?” In truth Maria had a very good idea of what Joseph was going to say. Despite what she believed she wanted to hear it from him.

“I'm going to stay with you of course. I plan on continuing to work here but that doesn't mean I'm going to have to live here.”

Joseph answer was what Maria expected and she gave her head a slight nod. “Then what are you going to do if I grow so large that I can't regularly carry here? I know that's a bit much but what if I end up as large as Zarena one day?”

Before speaking Joseph began to shift about in Maria's grip. She cooperated and helped him to raise himself up a bit further so they were closer to eye level.  “In that case I'll just have to make use of another means of transportation. I don't know. Perhaps there is some kind of magic item that would let me fly to the citadel that or maybe they even have a method of teleportation. I swear at times I believe I have an idea of what they have in the citadel then Naidra says something else to surprise me. If need be though I'll just have to set up a workshop at our home.”

“Thanks Joseph. I'm glad to hear that. I know a lot of sisters who's mate don't live with her. He's there to help with their child but he has his own home. I always thought that's how I'd end up. Like my mother. I'm glad that I won't have to be though. It never bothered me before but now that I have you well.” Maria lifted Joseph a bit higher and pressed her lips against his. She knew that he had important work to do. She had important work to do as well and they couldn't be together all the time but that didn't mean she was prepared to give him to his work.

“Just remember Maria you're the most important thing in this world to me. I don't believe I would be half as dedicated to my work as I am now if it wasn't for you. Though I should increase my efforts now that we have a child on the way. I need to insure that if we have a daughter she never has to deal with the hunger of the past.”

“I believe you've already solved that!” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she considered the changes the life bloom and the glyph had brought upon. The life bloom wasn't even finished yet though as Maria considered the energy system Mirin was working on and Nathan's work as well. At times Maria doubted even Joseph fully grasped the potential of his creation. How many Luvarians had failed to do just that though and perhaps failed to realize the danger that their creation posed. “Hey Joseph have you considered making any modifications to your body?”

“Well I've been taking my medicine for a while now. Are you talking about something more drastic then the usual life extension?”

Was she thinking about that? As Maria looked at Joseph she remembered what Zarena had told her. It was a lot easier to protect something that was strong then something that was weak. She didn't think of Joseph as weak especially considering what he could do with his alchemy but he still had his fragile human body. “I believe that I am.”

“Hm what kind of changes are you imagining here? Would you like me to be strong enough that I could wrestle with our child if she turns out to be a sister and not worry about losing my life?”

The idea of Joseph being durable enough to play with a young sister made Maria smile especially whenever she considered what that would mean for their sex. Unfortunately she was worried about how drastic such changes would be. “Well that would be nice in more then one way. Joseph you're a very capable alchemist a lot of you have been. Why don't more alchemist or mages alter their body more extensively?”

“I guess it's a bit taboo. You see there is always the fear that if the alchemist alters themselves they won't be able to go back. What makes it even worse is the chance that later on you'll find a way to do even better but you can't because you've already changed certain features. This brings in the temptation to experiment on other humans. They can even be volunteers. In general the more extensively you seek to alter a human the more you have to move into unknown territory.”

“The Luvarians would alter the body of anyone who could pay their fee or offered a term of service just about. I wonder if it was their work that resulted in some of those taboos.”

“Yes! Absolutely yes. Believe me they're quite a few stories about the horrors of the Luvarians worked. They're stories about good kings that were turned into blood thirsty monsters. The major theme being a good king that the people didn't want to lose went to the Luvarians in order to extend their life span. While the Luvarians did extend their life span the king always returns as a corrupt monster. Now that I've had a chance to see the Luvarian's work though I'm not so sure that they corrupted the King. Then again I'm not sure if they would have cared what type of person the King was so long as he upheld his end of their agreement.”

“Well how do you feel about it?”

How did he feel about altering his body? Joseph knew that the Luvarians had extensive knowledge on such subjects and there was Julia of course. She had drastically altered her body. He had also spoken to her about some of the complications that had come with her new body. All the spirit hunters would be expected to alter their body to some extent as well. “I can't say that I'm a fan of self experimentation. Plus well this may seem strange but the idea of working on myself doesn't give me the same thrill as trying to better you does.”

Maria couldn't help but give Joseph another kiss in response to his comment. “Really?”

“Yes really.”

“That's so sweet but I want you to better yourself as well. After all. Why do you think I've been forcing you to exercise regularly?”

“Well you have a point there. What do you have in mind?”

“Like you said earlier. Increased durability would be nice and I'd like to see if you could augment your rate of healing as well just in the event there was an accident. I imagine that would be pretty hard though.”

“Well yes. In general the tougher something is the harder it is to repair. I don't know Maria. I'm not sure if I could get into self modification as much as I enjoy working on the life bloom or glyph. How about I ask Naidra or Alaina about body modifications for a Luvarian?”

“You don't think she'll just try to teach you how to do it yourself?”

“In this case I don't believe so. I have my own projects after all and I'm not looking for knowledge or understanding I'm looking for a service. The only thing I'm worried about is if my rank is sufficient or not.”

Would the protectors actually give their help freely like that? At times Maria felt like they enjoyed making someone earn benefits. Her mind did drift to how they had began to feed the apprentices living at the citadel and how certain apprentices received nicer meals then others. These were just apprentices in the eyes of the protectors so perhaps they would be willing to provide such a service to Joseph. “Well there isn't any danger in asking them.”

“Maria now tell me. You know that Dan is working on a way to keep the sisters from outgrowing the forest while still developing. I've been helping him a bit. What would you prefer though?”

“Um is being able to change my size an option?”

“I don't know about that. Well with what we're working on now there is no way of knowing what abilities you'd develop.”

To this Maria gave a nod. “I'm not really sure. I don't like the idea of having to live like Zarena is. I know she's making the best of it but well you've seen what she has to make due with. It's not like she can really make herself a bed and shelter is an issue. She says that at her size the rain doesn't bother her and I'm sure it doesn't but still. She really can't enjoy her food cooked like we can and she has to be so mindful of where she is walking all the time.”

“So you're hoping to keep a more compact size.”

“Well yes but I also think of all the naughty little things I could do with you at that size.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she used her free hand to brush against Joseph's crotch. “We can normally smell a sister's scent on a brother after she's mated with him but Nathan and Zarena take it to an entirely different level. Don't you think you'd enjoy exploring breasts larger then you are? Perhaps doing some diving?”

Maria's tone had changed and Joseph could feel its influence. She'd also shifted him so that she was rubbing him against her breasts now. He did enjoy being with her at whatever size she was and the first time at a new size was always nice as well. “That does sound interesting indeed but is that what you really want?”

“No. Not permanently. It sure beats being hungry all the time of course!” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she relaxed her hold on Joseph a bit. She still kept him pressed against her chest though so she could rub her right breast against him a bit. “I wonder what changes my body would undergo if Dan's project works out though. Hm what would you do if I had to go to sleep for oh let's say four weeks in or for the adaptation to kick in?”

“Spend four weeks not exercising.”

For a moment Maria just looked at Joseph. She hoped that he didn't mean that. After all the time and energy he'd put into training his body to its current condition surely he wouldn't let himself degrade like that. Despite telling herself that she couldn't help but worry and gave Joseph a quick smack upside the head. A satisfying ouch came from him as he rubbed his head. “Don't you dare! I swear you'd be in so much trouble if I woke up and found out you'd let yourself go. Those treatments only go so far. Besides I'm not going to have you losing any of your stamina or durability.”

A soft chuckle escaped Joseph as he understood Maria's implications. “Hey Maria what are you going to do if Dan's research pays off? I mean about our child. If we continue like we have been you're going to continue growing. What would you do?” It surprised Joseph whenever Maria looked rather concerned for a moment. Likely she hadn't considered that Dan's research could mean for their child.

“Wow. That is not an easy question to answer. The larger I let myself grow the more difficult it'll be to take on a smaller size. I don't want to abandon our child though. I suppose well. If a mutation was guaranteed. Then perhaps after the first year if I would only be down for a month I could trust you and my mother to take care of our child or my sister. Then again perhaps Mina could help as well.”

“Is that everyone?”

“Who else do you have in mind?”

Now Joseph was made to laugh before shaking his head. “Wow I bet if they were listening that really hurt the protector's feelings.”

“Ah whoops! Sorry about that. Yeah they're good care givers as well.” Maria brought Joseph closer and quietly whispered in his ear. “You don't think they'll find a way to be even harder on me later for that do you?”

“Well they don't seem the vengeful types to me.”

“Me either.”

“But then again I imagine that comment really upset them.” Joseph set up as Maria gave him a slight pout. If the protectors had been listening to them he doubted there was any taking the comment back at this point. Fortunately he trusted them to take it easy on Maria for the sake of their child if nothing else.

“And here I thought you were going to be comforting. It'd be hard in either case though. I know that it would seem like a blink of an eye to me but I'd worry how our baby would see me whenever I returned.  Oh and what I might miss! Can you imagine if I missed our baby's first steps or words because I was sleeping? If I waited though then I could end up having to miss entire years and of our baby's life in order to bring myself down to the proper size as well as the time I would miss with you.”

“If we're able to complete Dan's project.”

“Yeah. If we can't where were you thinking of moving to? Should we try something on the ocean front or perhaps on the edge of the forest?”

“I can't say I'm very comfortable with the sea. I was born and raised inland after all but I would like to avoid things that are going to bring about undo confrontation. I know the more faelom living around the forest the more attention you're going to get.”

“You don't believe I'd scare them off?”

“Honestly I'm worried they would do something desperate. What would you do if they started trying to offer you sacrifices?” Joseph actually felt relieved whenever Maria frowned a bit. Apparently she didn't like the idea and the notion showed through in her tone.

“I would set them down and explain that I'm not there to invade or demand tribute. Rather I hope that we can be good neighbors. I guess they wouldn't believe me considering all the times we've slaughtered intruders. Oh that is going to make reaching out to the outside world again so difficult. Did you know that we've been talking about opening up trade with the outside world again? Well by we I mean the keepers and guardians.”

“Really? I thought that would be something the brothers would handle.”

“We've been so scared that someone would find a weakness of some time to exploit that we didn't want to risk trading. We couldn't risk depending on the outside world for resources because later on they might cut us off. That doesn't seem like the way to do things now. I'm still arguing against depending on the outside world. We shouldn't shut down the tannery for example. We should keep it functional but that doesn't mean we can't begin trading. Then there is the issue of the claimed as well.”

“You've been talking about that?”

To this Maria gave a quick nod. “Well it started as talks about the distrusted and the progress some of them have made. Well that and the orcs. Did you know that some faelom had been sleeping with the orcs at the sea front village? I've heard a lot of them praising the orcs for being more durable then brothers but others bring up issues. Such.” Maria was a bit surprised whenever Joseph spoke up.

“Hold up! I don't need to know what's different about sleeping with the orcs. Let's just get back to the claimed issue.”

Maria gave a slight giggle as she noted the rather alarmed look on Joseph's face. “Well alright. There has been some speculation that the distrusted may actually have their origins in how we treat the claimed. Even those who don't believe such theories are beginning to believe we could treat the claimed better. Now rather then working on a system of regaining your life we're thinking about switching to a compensation system.”

It actually made Joseph feel very good to hear this. While he had come to appreciate the forest society that society was changing and the claimed system wasn't something he wanted his child to experience in anyway. “So you're going to assign a value to trespassing and perhaps being rescued?”

“That's right. We're also thinking about releasing certain claimed that would have clearly earned their freedom under the new system. Before we can do that though we have to make sure systems are in place to replace the goods they produce thus talks about trade once again.”

“When do you plan on bringing this to the brother's attention?”

“Not for a while. After all resource gathering has always been our responsibilities.”

For a moment Joseph wasn't certain what to think. He had been working with the brothers for so long and making decisions with them he had almost forgotten how much authority wrested with the sisters. They were the ones who chose when someone should no longer be claimed and promoted them through the ranks until they were ready to become a full brother. It was only at that point that the brothers were given the final say as to whether or not this person should be allowed to join them. He knew that they had trade deals with some of the outside world but it was the sisters that went to meet them. It felt kind of strange to be told that he wasn't going to be part of the decision making process yet it also made him feel a bit lighter. “So what are your plans for opening up trade with the outside world?”

“We're kind of torn. We're thinking about hiring a consultant. Someone we already had trade deals with to introduce us to the outside world again and open up trade. There are others though that want you, Markus, Dan and some others to begin dealing with the outside world for us. You do have experience with such things after all. One thing we're considering is using the fishing village as a starting point. They have a harbor after all. So perhaps we could build a large ship, crew it with orcs and brothers then send you to a port with some goods to begin trading.”

For a moment Joseph wasn't certain what to say. The sisters were truly talking about sending the brothers out of the forest? It almost seemed impossible. “What about protecting the brothers?”

“Well there is of course talk about having a sister or two join you. We've even talked about having Zarena travel behind the ship in order to keep an eye on the traders. Those sisters who have been working with the orcs seem certain that a ship crewed with capable mage brothers and prepared alchemist as well as orc warriors would be capable of arranging a trade deal or escaping safely if need be. Honestly that that's been a really hard sell. Most of the talk has been about establishing land routs and what nation we should open up trade with first. We've even talked about sending half a dozen sisters into the nearest large town with some goods and seeing what they can bargain for.”

Given the stories about the forest and the history Joseph immediately noted one thing wrong with such a plan. “Maria I have to say. The further out you can go the better. The closer someone lives to the forest the more likely that they've lost someone to you or have been horrified by the stories.”

“We know but the further we go the further we move from our food source as well. Now some sisters are talking about instead of growing perhaps they should focus on the glyph and work on cutting how much they need to a fourth of what it currently is. That would make traveling far easier and safer for them. Unfortunately they aren't many sisters that really want that position especially long term.”

“I can understand but it wouldn't have to be long term. It would just need to be until trade was flowing more freely. Have you considered where the trade should take place?”

“That's another problem. We know if we started inviting them into our forest it's going to increase the chances of it being stolen from. Initially we suspect that we're only going to be able to convince the very desperate to come and trade with us. There is a lot of dark history to deal with after all.” A sigh escaped Maria as she gave a slight shrug. “Really ours talks have only revealed what a mess we're dealing with. Tera said that she has half a mind just to take some goods, walk to the nearest human settlement that looks like it could do some trading and see what she can come out with. Then repeat that a few times and see what happens rather then setting around and talking about it the entire time.”

***********************************************************************************

Tera felt very awkward. She hadn't meant to shoot her mouth off like that but the words had just came out. Now she found herself stepping into a human settlement and immediately noted all the strange looks she was getting. She could hear some bows and arrows being readied but knew she couldn't attack in retaliation. If they did open fire on her she was to leave. At least she wasn't alone as Alexa was currently standing with her. Still she shifted the satchel on her back before walking on and glancing over at the keeper. “This feels so awkward.”

“Just retain your calm.” Alexa had greeted claimed before and even been several of their keepers. She had talked to them about their homes and what they were like. She had something of an idea of what to expect but they were several things she didn't care for. The great concentration of humans and their relatively weak noses resulted in a horrible stink that soaked into the environment. She would have to dip her feet into boiling water whenever she got home before she began to feel clean again and they were staying on the main road. As the people began to thin out she realized there chance to trade and not invade was moving away from them as well. Stepping forward she looked towards a group of guards. “Greetings. My name is Alexa. We don't mean to intrude we've only came here to trade some goods.”

The town they had chosen lacked a wall and of course lacked a gate as well. It was the smallest settlement they could find that might have some of the goods they were looking for. Alexa knew that they had to have a smith. They had seen the workshop from a distance and if they had a smith that would mean they had metal to trade. The only problem would be if the smith was willing to trade for what they'd brought. Alexa imagined they might have to go through a series of trades. Their first objective would be to find an alchemist or the closest thing to an alchemist that might give them a fair deal. That or someone that would be interested in some hides.

Everyone had heard the stories of the creatures that lived in the forest but none had actually seen one. Now two of them were walking down the main street and to everyone's surprise they spoke and quite well as well. This revelation seemed to frighten them even more. William walked towards them with the confidence of someone that was full of years and doubted he had many more to go anyway. “Hello Alexa I am William Potter. What exactly have you come to trade for?”

Alexa gave Tera a slight nudge who spoke up. “Hello William. I'm Tera. We were hoping to trade for some iron, bronze, as well as other metals if possible and perhaps some leather or clothing as well.”

This seemed to shock everyone who began to look around. William himself was rather surprised. From the stories he had half expected them to be asking for humans to eat or perhaps babies. As he looked up at the massive beings he took a few steps forward. The fact that he didn't even come up to the crotch on either of the females became more and more obvious the closer he came to them. “I see. Well then it sounds like you want to speak with the smith. We have one. What exactly did you bring to trade though?”

Tera wasn't thinking much as she took a few steps towards William. At least she didn't think much of it until the crowd moved further away from William leaving him even more alone. It was too late now though and she removed her pack and placed it on the ground opening it up revealing several jars and dried roots within. “Oh we have lots of good things to trade. We have some powdered basilisk bone.” Tera responded by holding the jar up for everyone to see. “We have some dried slumber flowers, bearded tongue grass, red caverus leaves and several other goods.”

***********************************************************************************

“So how did it go?” Flora had a wide smile on her face. She really didn't need to asks she could smell the iron and copper on Tera as well as see the massive cart she was packing. The wheels had been removed and several very thick ropes held the contents in place. She had a massive smile as she set it down on the ground.

Alexa, “It went amazing. We had to prove we were being honest about what we were carrying and most of the humans stayed away from us but there were a few who approached especially this one fellow named William. He was actually the one that traded us for most of our goods in the beginning then paid the blacksmith for the materials. I believe we about gave him a heart attack.”

Mira, “Whenever he first saw you?”

Tera, “No! Whenever we started showing him all the things we'd brought to trade. Some people started getting really close whenever we showed what we had especially whenever we gave some samples to prove that it was good. Then he invited us back to his home and introduced us to a few people. They actually bought everything from us and well had the smith load us up. I believe we might have taken just about every scrap of metal that wasn't currently made into a tool or part of something in the town.”

Rather then speaking right away Flora picked up a large iron nail. “Are you sure about that?”

Tera, “Yeah! Those were already in his shop. I just hope they didn't give us all of this to get rid of us. I would hate to think we scared them into giving more then what we brought was worth.”

Alexa, “I doubt that. Did you listen to their hearts and smell them? They were happy with the deal.”

Mira couldn't help but clap her hands excitedly as she listened to the good news. “That's wonderful! Now when are you going to be going back to keep an eye on them?” It had been talked about before Tera went. Everyone knew that anyone associating with the forest even a town could draw unwanted attention. They didn't want to start trading with people only to have others slaughter them. So they had worked out an observation rotation that would last three months.

Tera, “Well that depends on if my dried life blooms, potions and glyph are prepared.”

Rather then speaking Flora proceeded to retrieve a large pack. “We have everything you're going to need for a two to three week stay away from home right here. Nora will be joining you shortly. We'll be sending someone along to relieve you in three weeks at the very latest.”

Tera gave a slight nod. “I'm guessing you included some books.”

Flora, “Naturally.”

Mira was still looking at the iron and had picked up a large piece of it. It felt light to her yet she still could appreciate how much it must have added to Tera and Alexa's weight. “What was it like carrying this through the forest?”

Alexa, “Slow and uncomfortable. All the extra weight made the ground shift even more and the noise the metal made with nearly every step was so annoying after a few hours of walking.”

A slight chuckle escaped Tera as she nodded her head. “You wouldn't believe how annoying it was whenever the metal would really begin rubbing together.”

***********************************************************************************

“Dad, Dad, Dad.” Dremera couldn't contain her excitement as she managed to get the words out. It had taken her several days of trying to make the sound right much to her frustration. Forcing her vocal cords to work just right had been more then a little annoying. Now she could form the words though and she was happily doing so. Especially since it meant that her father was doing something he hadn't done in quite some time. He was holding her up. At least he was in a sense. Currently Dan was holding her while Mina held both of them off the ground all three of them hugging one another. The little girl's excitement could be heard in her voice as well as her heart for those with the right ears.

Dan had known that sisters learned faster then humans did. Given how dangerous they could be even while young this was a good thing. Despite that knowledge he had been very excited whenever he heard Dremera finally clearing being able to say dad. He had actually picked her up without much regard to himself and worried that he might have pulled some muscles in his back. He wasn't really thinking about that as Mina held them both up laughing happily. It was only whenever he calmed down that he remembered they were others in the room and looked around. Joseph seemed positively stunned while Mirin, Nathan and several others had a large grin on their faces.

It would have been easy for Lestel to stop Dremera whenever the young girl had suddenly began sprinting towards the meeting room. She had chosen not to. Thanks to the other protectors she knew that the brother's meeting could easily do with such an interruption. Mina had already been in the room with several other keepers and she believed it would make for a nice surprise. Now she silently watched as the young girl continued to voice her approval for her father while the others smiled and watched quietly until Mina finally remembered to set Dan and her daughter down giving them both a quick kiss on the cheek before doing so.

Mirin, “Dan I do believe your daughter is speaking a bit sooner then normal.”

Dan, “You believe so?”

As if expecting an answer most looked towards Flora. Flora for her part gave them a large grin. This put Flora in a bit of a situation. She didn't want to lie and Dremera had began speaking a bit early but Maria had actually beat her in saying her first words. “She's learning really quickly.”

“Yes she is.” Dan couldn't stop smiling as he hugged his daughter again. It felt awkward to think of how young she was considering her size but he'd seen Pera and her friends grow up so he had been somewhat prepared for this. The initial stages of growth for a faelom were extremely rapid and slowed down once their bodies weren't quite so fragile. As his memory caught up to him Dan felt a little awkward though. “I hope no one minds if Dremera sets with me while we continue.”

There was no complaints and even the seat next to Dan was left open as the apprentices, faelom and one lurvarian began to settle down once again. It was Nathan who spoke up though he was smiling at Dremera more then speaking with anyone else. “So it seems our sisters first attempts at trading went pretty well.”

It wasn't normally Markus's intention to show up at such meetings. But he'd been let in on the secret as far as the citadel goes as had Mirara. Now he had to speak up. “Oh no. I'm glad they found some people who were willing to trade with them but believe me that William fellow got the better end of that deal. If he can even get a third of what those items were worth his profits are going to be the type that they tell stories of.”

Mirara, “Now Markus. How much would you value that iron's worth in our society?”

Markus didn't comment right away but took a moment to consider how much iron had been brought back and their general need. A horse could be worth half a kingdom to the right person in the right situation and salt could be worth its weight in gold. “Okay you have a point there. Okay what do you mages and alchemist think?”

Dan, “When I compare how easily we could replace the traded items to the iron we came out ahead in that trade. That was before we started all the building and work. Yeah we needed those metals pretty badly and the cloth is nice as well. I'm kind of surprised they were able to find as much as they were really. I wouldn't have expected such a small town to have that good of a selection.”

Markus, “Good timing?”

“I suppose but it doesn't really matter. How goes the town's observation?”

Flora, “Well about a week after the sells a heavily protected wagon left the town with a few people. Likely they're going to sell some of the goods for more then they could get in the local market. Several wagons worth the goods and other supplies came back a bit over three weeks later and the town has received some visitors sense then. Tera and Nora didn't report anything too troubling but then again I'm not sure how much people talked about our visit.”

Mirin, “Has their been any signs of people moving closer to the forest's edge?”

Flora, “There hasn't been anything I heard of.”

It was hard for Mirin to be sure if he was glad to hear this or worried. They were some things that were simply rare in the forest and the more trade they could get going the better off they would be. At least they'd be better off if the price was right. “I believe we need to set up some trading locations.”

Flora, “We've already debated that.”

Mirin, “Oh. Well what did you decide?”

Mirara, “We sent some sisters to the north and south to look for areas that would be good to meet on. Nice open areas were you could easily see a trap. We're also talking to the orcs about using the ocean front village for trade. It is their village to after all. Um Kersara reported that the orcs wanted to know why we were going to the humans to trade for processed leather. Their war leader Kelah says if the scent of processing leather is that hard for us to tolerate they orcs will do it for us. They just want to keep one out of ten equal quality hides as payment.”

Mirin, “Kelah wasn't she here a little while back?”

Julia, “No. Kersara requested some information and copies of certain books on her behalf. I sent them to her a few days ago.”

As Dan listened to the others speaking his hands were busy. Currently his right hand was wresting on top of Dremera's head which was leaning against him. The young girl seemed to be quite content for the moment though she made it clear her attention was focused on him. Dan returned this by keeping her in a slight embrace. “You're a good girl Dremera even if you do hold a grudge from time to time.” Dan risked looking away from his daughter for a moment as Mina placed a hand on each of them. Currently she was setting behind them. Even if the meeting was suppose to be business it was fairly clear no one minded Dremera's presence. This would have felt strange to Dan at one time but after coming to realize how precious children were to the faelom and their culture he didn't worry about it.

Mirin, “I could have sworn she was here. What did she want anyway?”

“Just information on Nightfang. She sent some information along with the messenger. Well that and any information about the ancient spirits that we felt comfortable sharing. She sent her assurance that they would send a shaman to repay the knowledge at some point.” Julia grinned whenever Mirin didn't hesitate to give a nod. Apparently no one thought much about sharing such information given their current relationship with the orcs. The information wasn't the type that would be restricted anyway. It was not only extremely old but had nothing to do with the weaknesses of the faelom. “I actually wanted to talk to you all about that.”

Nathan, “What is it?”

“I was comfortable sharing information with the orcs. However, I don't believe we should treat information about the spirits even the dated information like it has no value. I believe that information should be restricted to our allies and full brothers at this point. Now I know most of the spirits mentioned in the old records have been replaced but the simple truth is those that do remain from such a long time ago are quite powerful. I noticed a few of the spirits that were noted as being weak by the luvarians are still around and they aren't weak anymore.”

For a moment no one said a thing but looked around at one another. Nathan spoke up again. “Is there anyone you would recommend to manage that information.”

Julia, “I wouldn't mind handling it myself. Well Ridon due to your recent work with spiritual beings I would appreciate your help.”

Ridon, “That would be fine. Still, we should divide the records into spirits that we know are still around, spirits that we know have died out and those we aren't certain of. I can't imagine there is any danger is letting people study the history of spirits that are no longer with us.”

Lestel, “Oh yes there is!” Lestel couldn't help but chuckle whenever everyone gave her a rather surprised look. While everyone in the room was in on the secret the protectors didn't tend to speak up very often amongst some of them. “By studying the history of spirits especially certain type of spirits you can gain knowledge about their nature and how to best deal with them. What's more important is spirits do tend to carry traits on from their predecessors. These traits may change in time or be fazed out but those traits that remain could still be used to influence the spiritual representation of the forest.”

Mirin, “If they're so dangerous what were they doing in the apprentices library?”

Lestel, “Because when you have several solid contracts with the more powerful spirits of the forest and a large group of well trained spirit hunters the information becomes a lot less dangerous.”  

There was a moment of silence that moved throughout the room as everyone seemed to take a moment. It was actually Julia who chose to speak up. “So you believe that it's safe to share this information with the orcs given that they're our allies?”

“We. The protectors do. We wouldn't have allowed you to remove any information from the library if we didn't believe it was worth the risk. That does not mean you shouldn't use your own judgment in such matters. We thought your choices were quite wise Julia including the information you chose to withhold.”

Nathan, “Hm what exactly did you withhold?”

“Well there was information on spirits that were contracted in order to help reshape the bodies of the spirit hunters. One of these spirits may actually remain. The spirit of the rivers that flow throughout the forest if she still remains may still uphold her end of the deal once I can figure out how to contact her. This was apparently done on a person to person basis with a fixed payment and method of payment. Unfortunately the method used to contact her was lost with the original spirit hunters.”

Nathan, “How did that work?”

Lestel wasn't too surprised whenever everyone looked to her rather then Julia. Her response was simply to point at Julia which apparently prompted her to speak up. “From my studies they would simply have someone who had undergone the process or who had a contract with the spirit make contact. This worked really well until all the spirit hunters were lost.”

Dan, “Huh. I know how you could use alchemy to reshape the body.”

“Dad!”

A soft chuckle escaped Dan as he gave his daughter a quick kiss on the head and continued to rub her head for a moment. Apparently she didn't want him to spend too much time not paying attention to her. “I wonder how a spirit doing the same thing might differ. Considering waters influence on the landscape though I suppose they're a natural choice for such procedures.”

Julia, “Indeed though this spirit was apparently more then just a spirit of water it was what she was primarily known for. Unfortunately I don't know what else she was known for which honestly frightens me. You see that's also why I didn't share this information with the orcs. Apparently the spirit in question valued secrecy a great deal. Hey wait a minute. Lestel can you tell us the spirits name and the second aspect of her nature.”

“No. I will only give that information to a spirit hunter. It's part of her agreement. If you want to have any hopes of renewing that contract you'll be certain to keep to the old terms of the agreement.”

“So you'd help me make a contract with her?” Julia felt a little awkward whenever Lestel bit down on her lower lip for a moment and seemed to be thinking. “Is there a reason why every spirit hunter didn't have a contract with her?”

“Yes.”

***********************************************************************************

Alexa felt strange. Immediately she gave her head a quick shake and pushed that thought from her mind. Strange didn't even begin to explain how she felt at the moment. The sisters had received their first shipment of treated leather from the orcs a few days ago and the keepers had began talking to their trusted claimed about setting them free and where they would like to go. Over half of her claimed had proceeded to ask if they could stay on as labor and continue to develop their skills. Of course the trusted claimed tended to learn more valuable skills then what was taught to those who had done less to prove themselves. These skills would naturally be very valuable to them in the outside world but it wasn't just that. Several of them had mentioned they see a change coming and they believed they were in a good position to take advantage of it.

It wasn't just the trusted claimed though. Naturally word of what was happening had reached back to the claimed that had yet to earn that trust. It was as if the possibility of being granted freedom had triggered a change in their thinking. This had only become more pronounced whenever she had told them that she planned to begin freeing them as soon as their new supply chains had been established and tested. Even some of the ones that had tried to run had come to her asking if they might be able to stay as a member of the community and begin their mystic studies.

Kiara, “Hey Alexa what are you doing?”

The voice of another proved to be a welcome distraction. Alexa was actually a bit surprised whenever she saw Kiara though she looked bigger then she remembered. “Kiara what happened to you!”

“Huh? Oh you mean this!” Kiara couldn't help but grin as she flexed her right arm showing an even more developed muscle then she had before. “It's my sister Julia. She wanted a training partner and came to me. Well that and she's been helping me with that new glyph technique. I swear.” For a moment Kiara went silent as she stretched her body feeling her muscles pop as she did so. The relief that she felt with the release of tension was almost enough to bring a moan of pleasure from her. “Those changes to her body are really something else.”

“So she's able to fight on par with you?”

“Oh I wouldn't say that it's a bit dependent on the environment. Get this we've been fighting with me inside that glyph of Joseph's but Julia has found a way to tap into it in order to use it to drain my energy like she would normally do a human or other living thing. It's kind of frightening and it really takes a lot out of me but I guess the results are worth it.”

For a moment Alexa wasn't sure what to think. She had been told Joseph had designed the glyph so it  couldn't be weaponized. “How is she doing that? We were told that it couldn't be used as an effective weapon against us.”

“I asked my sister the same thing! Well apparently Joseph may be a better alchemist then my sister but she knows more about draining life from others then he does. Plus from what she told me the glyph we were using was anything but an effective weapon.”

“Meaning it's too hard to use in a real battle?”

“Yes. She said if I really wanted to disrupt the magic I would just need to drive my fist into the ground or foot or claws.”

For a moment Alexa said nothing but then gave a nod. “Yeah I can see where that would prevent the glyph from being used as a weapon. It isn't that it can't harm us. If we just have a little common sense we can neutralize the threat. Still impressive results.”

Nodding her head Kiara held both hands in front of her and made fist while tightening up her arms and upper body. Even through her fur her swelling muscles could clear be seen. “Well I'm not on par with Kersara that's for certain. She doesn't even have to flex to look this buff. Anyway, what has you looking confused.”

“My claimed for the most part. You know the talks we've been having about weather or not the claimed have repaid their debt to us and well if we might have gone a little too far.”

To this Kiara gave a nod. “Yeah but didn't we resolve not to worry about past debts? We're starting fresh with a new system with clear offenses and punishments for them. I swear that still feels strange. I mean. We've always trusted the keepers to provide an even hand whenever dealing with such things. I always thought you did a really good job.”

Alexa gave Kiara a smile before looking down at the ground for a moment. “I tried. Then again I can't say we were always in agreement. It's not like we're going to be taking all the decision making from the keepers anyway. That isn't what I'm having trouble with. Well I talked to my trusted claimed about our meetings and what my intentions were. I was planning on promoting them even if we didn't agree to the new system and to forgive the old offenses.”

“Which would be well within your right according to the current system. Can you imagine how mad that would make some of the ones that want to stick with the notion that being captured in the forest means losing your life and you must earn it again?”

“I'm sure such actions could lead to some heated comments. Anyway, a lot of my trusted claimed started saying that they'd rather stay and at least get a few more years experience to better learn their trade. Even amongst my regular claimed though several of them expressed a desire to stay and learn one of the more advanced trade. It's like. When they thought they'd never regain their freedom they were desperate to escape. Now that their freedom is setting right in front of them they want to stay and see what they can learn.”

Kiara didn't say anything right away but took a moment to let what Alexa was saying sink in. After a moment of consideration she couldn't help but grin. “Well of course. Their freedom was extremely important to them so of course they pushed other less important things to the back of their mind. Now that they feel confident they're going to regain their freedom their minds are shifting to the next most important thing.”

“I guess that makes sense. It still feels strange though.”

“Well don't feel too worried. I'm sure that they're plenty of claimed who are going to be leaving the first chance they get.”

Alexa actually felt rather shocked at Kiara's words but soon found herself laughing. Just because her claimed felt like that didn't mean others would. The claimed that had been there the shortest time or had been the most resistant to changing would likely be the first to leave. “You're probably right. I guess I like to think that this means the claimed I've instructed have become somewhat fond of me.”

“They probably have. I'm sure you've spoken to them about how they lived before they were captured by us. From what I know some of them have it better here then they did out there. Well depending on how much value you put on the ability to leave your current location which many of them didn't seem to put much value on. I remember one once saying. Oh sure I was free to leave my farm, to stop paying taxes and go starve or be ripped apart by some creature. Actually now that I think about it perhaps that last one was one of the reasons I was in the forest. End quote.”

“Okay that I've heard before and more then once. I've also heard some of them complain about not having any human women around.”

A low groan came from Kiara. She wasn't a keeper but she knew that Alexa was talking about. She heard late night talks. “Yeah. Then they talk about how as big as we are it'd be like tossing a sausage down a hallway. I kind of wanted to smack them whenever I heard them saying such things. Then some complain about our fur or how they'd be afraid we'd bite something off.” Kiara's fur stood up a little as she remembered some of the more insulting conversations she'd overheard during her work. There wasn't much she could really do about it though. Some of the claimed simply thought they looked like monsters.

“I really hate it whenever they start on one another as well. One of them starts to find us attractive and then the others start taunting him about falling for a monster. At times there isn't much I can do about it though. I mean sure he's come to find us attractive and that's nice but it doesn't mean that he's not being lazy. It is nice whenever I can remove such claimed from the ones taunting him.”

“Yeah but at times the one being taunted decides to shut the others up. Even if he doesn't succeed the fight gives you an excuse to separate them.”

Alexa gave her head a quick nod. “I remember back whenever Martial was one of the claimed he was beginning to warm up to our forms whenever some of the claimed began to taunt him. I do not know what they were thinking. Well I guess they were thinking I would protect them which I did. I swear whenever I first heard Martial hit one of them I thought he had picked up a weapon of some type.”

“He is very sturdy for a human isn't he.”

“Yes he is.”

“Did you ever take advantage of that?”

Now Alexa gave Kiara a positively wicked grin. “A little bit. I mean he's sturdy for a human but he's still a human. Did you?”

“Well I didn't take advantage of Martial exactly but there have been a few willing claimed and brothers who were well regarded for their durability I spent time with. They were a few times I really wanted to get my hands on Desmon.”

Alexa couldn't help but grin. Typically sisters didn't talk about the mates of others a great deal. At least they didn't talk about them in a sexual way in order to prevent miss understandings. A sister that heard you talking about her mate in certain ways might suspect you had your own intentions. She didn't know if it was wise to continue the subject further but her curiosity was demanding that she continue. “Are you serious?”

“Yeah! All the time he spends in the forest has given him a slight sent even after he's cleaned up that really tends to excite me. His abilities as a druid and life style makes him really durable as well. I don't believe I could have him as a mate. All that coming and going would become very frustrating and I'd like for my mate to stay closer to home. It would be hard to do my job and hunt him down especially whenever I really needed him. Still he has his appeal.”

“So what about Markus?”

Now Kiara gave Alexa a large grin. “Oh no! I'm not the only one giving up here. What about you? Which one of our brothers really makes you wet?”

There was a slight blush on Alexa though not a very intense one. It was less to do with what Kiara had asked but the way she had asked it. “Well I don't want to speak about anyone's mate in particular. I tend to like the better kept brothers but I admit it's a bit of a turn off for me whenever I'm around one of the alchemist and I can smell where their work has really soaked into their skin. I consider Dan a good friend but how Mina can enjoy his scent at times is sort of beyond me.”

“Huh. I believe he smells just fine.”

“I just prefer their natural scent I suppose over the scent of potions or the forest.” It felt a little strange for Alexa to say it.

“So you tend to prefer the mages. Well come on. What one is your favorite?” As she spoke Kiara didn't try to hide her excitement. From the way Alexa was acting Kiara was fairly certain that she favored one of the brothers who already had a mate. It was even possible that she favored one of the brothers whose mate might respond somewhat poorly if she found out someone might be after her mate. It wasn't likely. Typically a faelom whose mate was highly desired liked to use that to make the other faelom jealous. It was something of a mark of status even if the faelom in question wasn't a keeper. A guardian with a particularly desirable mate could be more envied then a keeper who lacked one.

***********************************************************************************

It had been Joseph's intention to find a new way for the sisters to defeat their hunger. The fact that his method would also serve to strengthen them was quite a nice plus. As he listened to Maria though he couldn't help but feel rather shocked and even rather concerned. He was glad that they were using his techniques but this seemed to be a form of miss use. “They're making it mandatory?”

It was easy for Maria to hear the concern in Joseph's voice. She wasn't too surprised and she didn't turn away from the stove. Currently she was setting in front of it fixing a meal for the two of them. The fact that standing wasn't practical anymore thanks to her additional height was rather strange. Fortunately despite her additional size the amount she needed to eat hadn't gone up a great deal. “Yes. After seeing the success you had with us and some of the others began training it was decided that all faelom would begin learning to channel additional mystic energies into their body at sixteen years of age at the latest.”

This wasn't what Joseph had meant to happen. He wanted to offer an alternative for the sisters to progress. He wanted to help them end their hunger but he didn't want to force them into it. “Maria that really wasn't my intentions. Perhaps I should speak to the keepers and see if they'll change their minds.”

Now Maria took a moment to turn around and look at Joseph. Given his status as the only official Luvarian he might be able to pull it off if he revealed his rank. It wasn't certain in this situation though. As much as the sisters respected the Luvarians this was the type of thing they had been doing for hundreds of years. Such decisions were nearly always left up to the sisters and this was a rather easy decision to make. “You could try Joseph but unless you revealed that the citadel had accepted you as a Luvarian I don't believe that you could do anything about it. It might seem strange but this is rather important to us. The technique you've developed helping us to learn to channel energy into our own body is like a free food source to many of us. If we refuse to learn how to use the glyph it's like saying you would rather be a burden on the forest and the community then try to better yourself. It's just not an acceptable way to think. The only ones that aren't required to learn to use the glyph are the distrusted and that is being debated.”

It felt strange to think of the distrusted not being forced to conform. A sigh escaped Joseph as he looked at Maria. “So revealing that I've been accepted as a Luvarian might not even change a thing.”

“Yes. We don't have a mystic restraint that would force us to follow a Luvarian. I'm not even certain if the protectors have one of those given how easily they can refuse your request.”

“You make a good point but you're forcing the others to learn to use the glyph.”

“Joseph! It's no different then forcing one of the faelom to work or hunt for herself at least. This is a matter of the health of the forest which means it concerns us all. I know you don't like the idea of a people being forced into something but this is for the good of everyone and the individual.” Maria couldn't help but sigh a bit. With the scent of the food reaching her nose she turned around and focused on it once again. “I wonder where the protectors do their cooking. I'm a bit taller then them now but I'm sure they don't have to set down in front of the stove whenever they're cooking. This one was clearly meant for humans or at least tall humans.”

Despite Maria's attempt to change the conversation to cooking Joseph couldn't stop thinking of the decision to force all sisters to begin studying to direct energy into their body. It would be as if everyone was forced to begin learning magic. If someone had the resources to do so it would be good for them. Yet there would be those who wanted to continue living the traditional way. “Maria.”

“Joseph would you give a child a choice if he or she wanted to learn how to survive or not?” Maria could hear it in Joseph's voice. He wasn't ready to give up the argument. She didn't turn to face him this time but glanced back over her shoulder.

“Well no. This isn't something you need to survive though.”

“Do you only force a child to learn the absolute minimum that they need to survive?”

Now Joseph found himself lightly biting down on his lower lip. After a moment of consideration he gave a nod. “Okay I see your point.” Despite his words Joseph couldn't help how he felt. The sisters were going to be forcing one another to learn the technique he'd developed. He had done it to help them  but it still didn't feel right. It was rather clear that he wasn't going to have Maria's support on this issue despite her tendency to stand with him. That actually made him feel all the stranger as he tried to think about the situation like she was. To Maria learning to use the glyph seemed no different then a parent teaching their child how to grow and pick vegetables. At least he didn't believe Maria would stand with this on him but he wondered. “Maria if I asked the faelom to change the policy perhaps based on how much of a burden on the forest they are would you support me.”

“I would support you Joseph though I can't say I agree with you. I'm with you though even with our goals diverge a bit.”

Maria's response surprised Joseph and made him feel a bit better about the situation. Unfortunately that didn't clear up his concerns. She would support him publicly but she didn't agree with him. Could he really ask her to stand with him on a cause she didn't agree with?

“You're sulking.” It was easy for Maria to hear Joseph's annoyance. She didn't have to look at him to know that he was still upset. If she had it would have been clear in his body language. At this point he would have retreated into a bit of a defensive posture and be keeping his hands close to his body. Likely he wanted to continue debating the issue with her.

“Sorry. I understand what you're saying. It would be like teaching a child how to pick or grow their own vegetables. I guess just because a skill isn't necessary for someone to survive that doesn't mean it shouldn't be taught. When I think about it I wish that every child would be taught to read at least in one language.”

Maria gave a slight nod as Joseph finally found a comparison that he could relate to. She wasn't certain that every human would find reading as useful as he believed but that wasn't what she was going to try to argue. “Good now you won't be sulking whenever we're trying to enjoy a nice meal.” A sigh escaped Maria as she had to scoot along the floor to reach some spices she'd prepared. “I'm going to have to speak to the protectors about providing a cooking area for people as tall as me. They have to have one. There is no way that they cook like this.”

A soft chuckle escaped Joseph as he looked at Maria. “I swear Maria you make that stove look ridiculous. If I didn't know as much about your biology as I do now I would think you're starving yourself whenever you were eating.”

“As I recall you were very surprised by how little I ate whenever we first met.”

The memory was still fresh in Joseph's mind. On the plate it looked like Maria had a lot of food. That only lasted until it was compared to her. In proportion to her body she was eating a very small amount. As she had grown and especially as she had learned to direct mystic energy into her body that image had become even more extreme. “That's true but it wasn't anything like this. You have several times the mass of a human but you're eating roughly the same amount.”

“Well thank you. I have been thinking about reducing the amount I eat further.”

“Huh? I thought you didn't want to do that.”

“Yes but then you asked me about what I would do about our child. I believe I would rather reduce how much I'm eating rather then risk outgrowing the citadel and having to raise our son in a less secure environment.” It had been roughly two weeks past. Naidra had finally been able to determine that Maria was carrying a son. It wasn't that she had noted the child's body but the way a faelom's body and a human's body influence their mystic energies were different. Based on the behavior of her child's mystic presence she was carrying a human.

Joseph actually felt his heart rate speed up a bit. An incredible feeling of happiness and pride built up within him. “I'm glad you decided that but you know that could eventually mean you stop eating all together.”

For a moment Maria bit down on her lower lip as she considered that. She was a construct which meant she was a mystic being. It was possible for her to survive on magic alone. After all that had been how the original faelom had survived. They had only eaten for enjoyment. “Well my hunger would still only be like it is now. I admit that I would miss the taste of certain foods but I'm sure I could eat a bit. That said. I'm also hopeful that my darling mate can solve the problem before it reaches that point. Besides. That just means whenever I'm allowed to eat again the difference will be even more dramatic.”

Joseph wasn't certain what to say as he looked at Maria. She was now larger then any keeper had been allowed to be in a very long time. It actually felt rather strange when a thought hit him. “Wait a minute Maria. Aren't you nearly as large as the faelom of old?”

To this Maria gave a nod. “Yes. We were only slight larger then the protectors back then. After all we had to be able to fit into the guild hall to work with the Luvarians. That is one part of my decision not to grow further.”

It was impossible for Joseph not to feel strange as he heard this news. “But you said that the original faelom didn't feel hunger.”

Joseph's words actually hit Maria rather hard. It felt like her mind froze up and she once again turned to face him. “Huh? I did. That's what all the records say. That with our original energy source none of us felt hunger. My hunger has been reduced a lot but. I believe we should speak to the protectors about this. Hey could one of you come in here!” For a moment Maria said nothing but looked around. She then turned her attention to Joseph.

“They're giving us our privacy I think. Let me try in the hallway.”

Maria gave her head a slight nod and turned back to the food as Joseph went to the door. She expected a protector to be waiting right there whenever she heard him open it. The fact that he actually yelled was even shocking to her. Fortunately she was a bit numb from the shock of the revelation Joseph had just given her. A few moments later she heard Lestel arrive.

Lestel, “Yes?”

Joseph, “Maria and I were just talking. In the records it mentioned that the original faelom didn't know hunger. But despite Maria's current size she's still feeling it.”

“Well that's because she needs to grow more. Oh! I understand.” Lestel took a moment to look past Joseph and at Maria who was now looking at her. “We've been over the fact that a faeloms spiritual strength determines if her body is altered or not while sleeping or it is part of it. Well that also decides her hunger as well. Put simply your body can feel your spiritual strength and it knows what it should be able to achieve so it seeks to achieve that. The majority of the faelom's hunger end whenever they reach  ten meters tall or so.”

Maria, “Wait you mean that the faelom who lived and worked in the citadel were the weak ones? I thought they were very close to the Luvarians.”

“They were! Several luvarians were actually quite sad whenever the faelom they were nurturing progressed beyond what the citadel could comfortably host. You were never meant to truly live in the citadel though. Well not the main parts of the citadel. That was our roll.”

It felt rather strange when Maria heard this. “So you're saying my hunger will fade whenever I reach matron size? What about Zarena? I remember it was mentioned that the sleepers were fed until they no longer felt their hunger. Did they all keep eating after that?”

Lestel gave her head a slight shake as she looked at Maria. “No. Matron size won't be sufficient to end your hunger unless you gain several additional adaptations. That is the case for all the sleepers. Now the sleepers were chosen as they were considered the best amongst you. Surely you realize that includes the strongest spiritually as well. In truth the number of you that could become sleepers tends to range between three and seven percent. Now there was a time whenever fifteen percent of you had such potential.”

Joseph, “What was happening?”

“It was at the Luvarian's peek. Strengthening the spirit is a difficult task but it can be done. The faelom produced some very good mentors at the time. Not that they could really take advantage of the situation then.”

The smell of something burning reminded Maria of the food. If it had just been her food she would have let it burn a little. As she was cooking for Joseph though she couldn't stand to do that and risked turning her back on Lestel. “Lestel could I become a sleeper?”

“You have a lot of potential Maria but I'm not certain. I would need to conduct some test to be sure. I can say for certain that achieving matron status wouldn't be enough to end your hunger as I already mentioned. You, Mira and even Mina have actually all had a benefit that many lack. Your mother has been a remarkably positive influence throughout your lives which has helped nurture you on a level beyond just physical care. She's done a superb job of nurturing your mind.”

Now Maria felt herself smiling as Lestel spoke fondly of her mother. “Well what about my sister Mira? When will her hunger in?”

Joseph, “Maria are you trying to find out where you stand in terms of spiritual strength.”

“Um maybe.” A slight chuckle escaped Mira even as she considered what Lestel had told her. Either Dan's project succeeded or she would have to be sleeper size in order to have her hunger end. Other sisters would be enjoying the end of their hunger once they reached roughly ten meters in size and would likely be able to continue living in the forest. She wouldn't be able to though.

A soft chuckle came from Lestel. “Mira surpassed you for a very long time. Your interaction with Joseph has strengthened you. Now should Mira find a Joseph or Dan for herself your younger sister may exceed you on a spiritual level once again. After all her hunger was equal to your own but she was able to control herself.”

Maria, “Ah does that mean Dan helped Mina?”

“Of course. After her mother's death Mina was greatly weakened. Dan has helped heal that wound.”

“But hey. Mina developed a mutation while she was sleeping and that was before she even knew of Dan.”

Lestel, “I'm sure the implications of that are clear to you. “

As Joseph listened to Lestel he could tell Maria was a bit annoyed. She like most people didn't like to be beat. She knew Mina was stronger then her but likely she believed her speed evened the playing field when it came to combat. He had a feeling what would be the next question out of her mouth and couldn't help but grin.

“So how do I strengthen myself spiritually?”

Now Lestel took in a deep breath. Such questions weren't easy to answer. The protectors had observed Maria long enough to have some idea of how she thought. “In general the best way to strengthen yourself spiritually is to think of your flaws and strive not to give into them anymore until they're no longer flaws. If you are slothful you force yourself to be motivated if you quit easily you don't allow yourself to do so. This is extremely difficult but the right motivation can help. Unfortunately the more someone develops the harder that motivation is to apply. If you can as you mentioned before give up eating and rely only on your own mystic energies then that will be an exercise in correcting one of your flaws. Rather then relying on Joseph to keep you from over eating.”

It felt like Maria had just been kicked. She hadn't thought of her hunger in a while. Joseph's supervision and her additional size had done a lot to hep her gain control of it. Joseph still helped her but his help was such a part of her life at this point that it seemed to happen without thought. He didn't even mentioned it most of the time anymore and she didn't complain whenever he intervened. “So I can't rely on Joseph?”

“No. When you do that you're relying on his wisdom and guidance. It helps but I'm afraid that he's taken you as far as he can using such methods.”

Now Maria bit down on her lower lip. She had indeed talked to Joseph about reaching the point where she could only rely on her own energies. It would be a while set as she would have to learn to use the glyph better while cutting back on her food. “I suppose it'll have to.”

“No. It would not have to wait. You could begin reducing the amount you eat rather then risk growing until you can rely on your energies alone. You're about to use your child as an excuse not to do this when you know that's a mistake. At your current size and given that you're sustaining a human your body could easily support your child even if you began cutting back on what you were eating now.” Lestel had known what Maria was going to say and she wasn't going to allow the excuse. Part of Lestel wondered if Maria had the resolve to correct this flaw.

“Um are they any other flaws I could work on that would be easier to handle?”

“Yes but they may not have the results you desire. Even now you're desperately trying to think of a way to avoid confronting your own gluttony despite your desire to better yourself. Maria you're motivated by your stomach a great deal more then you realize. Joseph knows this as well. Just think of how often he's motivated you to help with his studies by appealing to your hunger.”

It actually felt like Joseph had been kicked. He had been trying to encourage Maria but the implication was clear. Had he been encouraging her vice? She had asked him to help her manage her hunger. He had done that. Then he had developed the life bloom and allowed her some additional treats. After all he was the one growing the life bloom and he wanted to make her happy. Lestel hadn't directed her comment towards him but it still hurt. He was actually surprised whenever he noticed Maria smiling at him. “Maria are you alright?”

“Joseph don't blame yourself! You were just helping me. There is no way I'd be upset with you for helping to reduce my hunger. Still Lestel you do have a point for me giving into my hunger. I believe the only thing that kept me from being put to asleep again was finding Joseph in the forest and becoming so fond of him.” A sigh escaped Maria as she considered the days just before she met Joseph. They had been several years back but she could still remember the additional food she was eating while hiding out in the forest. Joseph had worked as a watchdog but she had never beaten her own gluttony. “Okay. From this point on I won't increase the amount of food I eat and as I improve with the glyph I'll cut back on what I'm eating. I will do this to insure I can be with my child and to insure I can stay with Joseph.”

Maria's words were bold and Lestel wondered if she would truly be able to keep them. She still smiled at Maria. “Well. If you would like we can insure that you hold to that word.”

“That won't do anything to help me grow spiritually will it. I'm going to accomplish this on my own. So Joseph I'm afraid I'm going to have to stop steeling food from your plate.”

Joseph, “Oh no! What ever shall I do? Actually enjoy my meal?” Joseph gave a soft chuckle as he smiled at Maria. “There is one problem though. What happens whenever the energy you can supply to your body exceeds what it needs and you begin to grow again.” Both Mari and Joseph once again looked towards Lestel.

“Even we can't solve everything. I suggest you finish Dan's research before that happens.”

That was a large goal. Joseph knew that but he still continued to smile. “I'll do my utmost to achieve it.”

Lestel, “Maria I just want to say. Your goal is a very difficult one to achieve. Should you achieve it however you're going to find yourself well let's just say at the peak of a very hard climb. If you stumble from that peek you may find the journey impossible to stop and very rapid.”

“Huh? You mean something bad could happen?”

A groan escaped Lestel as she shook her head. “Okay that was a bad example. Let's just say you plan to travel down a rocky road and at the end of it is a very gentle but powerful river. As I'm sure you can imagine what even a little food will do if you manage to meet all your body's needs with your own mystic energies.” Lestel bit down on her lower lip for a moment as she considered giving Maria a warning. If Maria managed to develop the desired skills with the glyph and overcome one of her greatest weaknesses it was quite likely she would exceed the threshold of her current body by several times. The idea of telling a faelom to avoid becoming too powerful though was simply repulsive to her and her lips refused to make out the words. It wasn't in the nature of a protector to say such things.

***********************************************************************************

After knowing Joseph for years and having him both help her to keep her hunger in check and even prepare food for her there was two things Maria was certain of one week after making her oath. Joseph had been a huge help to her and she loved him even more for it. The second thing was that the oath was positively terrible. Maria had decreased the portion of food she allowed herself slightly and the smaller amount she found herself looking at was far more noticeable then she believed it would be. Rather then eating her food immediately she found herself looking at it trying to will the serving size larger. Unfortunately the amount of food on the plate didn't seem to be responding to her desires.

It felt a little strange to see Maria setting alone. Especially given that she was giving her food a hostile look. Given how fond sisters were of their food and their brief relationship with it Julia found herself wondering what was the cause. “Maria did that venison offend you somehow?” Julia had a friendly smile as she approached Maria.

Maria had learned to feel quite safe within the citadel and with her focus being on her food she hadn't actually noticed Julia entering. She was rather surprised whenever she turned to look at her but this surprise quickly faded. “Hello Julia. Well I believe it's all offending me sense I'm trying to cut back to eating like a guardian again.”

“What? Why would you do that?” If there was one thing Julia didn't expect a sister to say it was that she was trying to eat less then she was allowed. It was far more common for a sister to try to sneak in a few extra bites but not do it so frequently that she began growing again. Given all the work Maria had put into increasing what she was allowed to eat she was one of the last ones Julia would have expected to cut back.

“In order to avoid growing.”

“Huh? You do remember that you're no longer being judged on your size but rather the resources you consume right?” Julia normally wouldn't have stated something so obvious but it was clear Maria was acting strangely. Was it possible that she had been given some special instructions? That or perhaps Joseph had warned her about something that he hadn't told everyone else yet. Julia doubted Joseph would keep something dangerous to the community a secret but this was very strange.

“I know.” Maria took in a deep breath as she imagined she would have to answer such questions for quite some time. Her behavior could be considered very strange and she knew that. “I'm trying to keep from growing so that I may continue to live within the citadel with Joseph especially with our child on the way. I don't want to force my child to live in a world that's simply made for someone so much bigger then he is. There are already going to be some issues with my current size. There is no way I'm going to be able to breast feed him though Joseph has offered to milk me when the time comes.

The notion of Joseph milking Maria to feed their child was funny but there was something more pressing on Julia's mind. She was surprised and actually impressed that Maria was willing to sacrifice a reduction to her hunger and the power that comes with it for the comfort of her child. “Wow. That's really loving of you Maria. But why cut back so much?”

“Well I'm going to continue training with the glyph. If I were to keep how much I eat the same and train then I would end up growing anyway.”

“That makes sense.” Julia gave a slight chuckle and some energy moved into her voice. “Can you imagine what's going to happen after a few years of reducing the amount of food you eat then suddenly you're allowed to eat again! You're going to grow fast.”

“Lestel compared it to walking down a rocky road but at the end of that road is a very powerful river. My progress is going to be slow for a long time and then I'm going to reach that river. If I fall into it I'm going to be swept along and may not be able to pull myself out until the river grows calmer. I can imagine being at the edge and knowing that if I eat anything even a few pieces of food my body is going to respond by growing. I suppose I'm going to have to stop swallowing for Joseph.” Maria gave Julia a wide grin who gave her a naughty smile in return. The two women gave a slight chuckle before the conversation could resume.

“What about just your training with the glyph though? If your training and giving up food is walking down that rocky road what is training after you've given up food? You don't intend to stop do you?” It was one thing to ask a sister to try to overcome a weakness now that they had a means of doing so. To ask one of them to stop developing and just set at where she was seemed more extreme. Julia doubted that she could be in a relationship with someone who asked her to stop studying necromancy and quit developing as a mage or now as a spirit hunter.

Now Maria perked up a bit and once again found herself feeling rather concerned. “Well those men have better found a way for us to freely develop our mutations by that point. Oh makers. What's going to happen if I do try to sleep once I've reached that point? The only reason our bodies shrink is because they're not receiving enough energy into order to sustain them. If I've reached some point where my mystic energy alone is sustaining my body that wouldn't happen.”

Julia didn't know as much about the build of the faelom as the others but she had learned some things. Maria's concern actually struck her as quite significant. “Once you're in the sleep though doesn't your body relax which makes it easier for it to be changed?”

“Yeah it does. So rather then shrinking I might just lay there and strive to develop mutations but there won't be a way to return to a smaller size.”

“Unless you develop a mutation that is such a massive drain on your energy that it forces your body to shrink as well. This is quite possible.” Julia wished that she could say likely but that simply wasn't the case. No sister had ever went to sleep when she had an energy source still sustaining her. Even if the energy was granted by some outside power source what would the result be? It was something that Julia would have liked to test but she couldn't think of anyone she was willing to test it on. Plus faelom never lost their mutations. If they used an outside energy source and a faelom did develop a mutation she might be tied to it until she died and if it was cut off that could be very soon.

So by being careful and trying to avoid growing she was running the risk of making it impossible for her to return to a smaller size. A long sigh escaped Maria and she covered her face for a moment while closing her eyes in an attempt to block out some of the world. Her own concerns were beginning to fill her head at this point and they felt like they'd split her head in half if she didn't cut out some distractions. She didn't even bother opening her eyes whenever she spoke. “Well even if that is the situation there isn't anything I can do about it. I've made my promise and really growing just isn't an option for me at the moment. I want to be able to live indoors with my child to take care of him and insure he's comfortable. That would be far more difficult at matron or sleeper size.”

“That's true and really impressive Maria. I wonder how many sisters would be willing to make your sacrifice if they thought of their situation.”

“Well I would like to say not many but I would also like to believe all of them would. It's one of those odd moments when you want to think the best of your friends and family but you also want to build yourself up a bit. I suppose the best thing to do would be to find out. Perhaps we should introduce the subject of cutting back the amount we eat in order to maintain a smaller size.” For a moment Maria froze up as she remembered something rather important. “Except according to Lestel most of the faelom would stop growing sooner then I would. Apparently our size relates to our natural magical potential. You know sort of like how powerful of a mage would become if we were human.”

Julia gave a nod. She had spoken to the protectors about similar subjects and came to suspect. “Do you think they knew about that whenever they were choosing the sleepers? They did try to pick the best of us after all.” That felt so exciting. The moment the best of us left her mouth Julia felt a slight rush. It only became more intense whenever Maria didn't seem surprised or to even notice. It was something she had accepted as a natural truth. She had accepted her as one of the faelom though now Julia wondered how the protectors looked upon her. She would have to ask them later and find out.

“I believe it was more of a happy side affect. When you start with the best of anything there is typically some side benefits that you don't even think of after all. I remember Joseph told me that he was surprised how high of a quality of glass we used in alchemical tools. He mentioned that the high quality was great for certain potions that during their production stage could eat through inferior glasses. I just believed we made the glass good so it'd be less likely to break and could endure some rough treatment.” As Maria spoke she looked down at Julia who had finally came over and set down next to her.

“What did you decide you're going to do about glass production anyway?”

“You weren't at the meeting?”

“Maria it is very hard for me to get away from my training right now. I keep trying to reach a new rank as a spirit hunter but the protectors simply say I'm in the transition stage at the moment. Well that's what they say whenever I ask. It's kind of strange. I think they've come to dislike giving me bad news.” The protectors and faelom had accepted her. She was expected at meetings. Her skin had changed as had her eyes, bones and muscles but it had brought on acceptance. Perhaps just being more like a construct helped the sisters accept her or perhaps it was because of how far she was willing to go.

A sigh of understanding escaped Maria. “I know your pain. At least I have Joseph to help ease mine. Well we argued about it quite a lot. Some of the sisters want to move glass making closer to the waterfront and see if the orcs could use their knowledge of fire and earth spirits to help us make a superior glass. Others simply want to invite the orcs here and let them use our work areas or work with us. Others are insistent that we're bringing in too many made goods and we're setting ourselves up for a collapse by depending on others. Then others argue we're not depending on others if we keep a surplus, maintain the facilities and the skills needed to perform the job. Then others argue back that if we're not actively doing the work our skills will degrade which lead some arguing that a little skill reduction would be acceptable as we could put more resources into other things.”

“So lots of people with opinions but none agreeing. So why didn't you just put it to a vote?”

“We can't come to an agreement even with a vote. We're too split. We're split over glass making. I swear we go through so many important issues. We decide every faelom excluding you should be required to train with Joseph's glyph. The vote was around ninety percent for, with four percent uncertain and only six percent or so against. No one questions the new combat training Zarena helped muscle through anymore and most are happy to have the distrusted contained in a single location. Apparently they were uncomfortable with them roaming the forest and possibly killing one of our trade partners in secret. We shift leather making to others as quickly as we can as well as the making of mixtures like celetri but when it comes to glass we're fighting amongst ourselves.”

“Well in all fairness you've also had issues with something that had a powerful and offensive smell to you. A good sniff of celetri can even put my head out a window.” As she smoke Julia reflexively rubbed her nose. At times alchemist and even mages became used to work with certain compounds. Some of these compounds have a very offensive smell and once the alchemist becomes used to them they may end up stinking as well. Celetri was one of the compounds Julia couldn't imagine anyone becoming used to. If it wasn't so useful she doubted anyone would make use of it. Typically it was the trusted claimed who were learning alchemy that made it. “Perhaps the reason you're fighting is because different sisters have different ideas of how important glass is.”

To this Maria gave a nod. “That might be it. I support having the orcs come here and work in our facilities. Otherwise we will have to travel even further to gather the correct minerals.

To this Julia gave a nod. The forest was such a rich source of alchemical reagents that even the ground had been changed in certain locations. The right dirt gathered from certain locations in the forest was one reason their glass was so superb. Julia had spoken to others that worked with other forms of glass and they always seemed to be surprised by how thin and yet durable the glass was. It also helped that a faelom had little concern while working in front of a forge. The heat wouldn't burn them anywhere near as badly as a human and even if they did suffer a severe burn so long as it didn't kill them they would recover. She had even seen faelom regrow limbs though that took a very long time. “I don't know if I agree Maria. There have been times when I've just about had to fight someone for a few flasks.”

“Well yeah production didn't always meet demand but that's changed since you moved into the citadel right?”

“Well yes. I have to admit I'm curious if the protectors replace broken glass or of they just merge it back together. They seem to have so many abilities. That or perhaps there is some construct in here that they use to fix things.”

“Maybe the glass is actually alive like the stone of the citadel and it heals.”

“Now Maria. I'm pretty sure I would notice if something was designed to heal like that. I am after all a necromancer.”

Now Maria gave Julia a large grin and leaned in close. “Are you sure? You're a necromancer that's true. You're a master of undeath however the Luvarians were about unlife as well as death. Are you sure you know what statues are golems and what ones are just statues?”

A slight chuckle escaped Julia. “Well from what I've seen of the Luvarians I don't believe they have a single statue in this place. You know the little bird statues they use to decorate some of the rooms and water ways? I swear at times I feel like they're watching me.”

“I know! They're creepy!”

***********************************************************************************

“This is going to take a while.” As Dan spoke he rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He had been very focused on his work for a while now. The simple truth was that even with the Luvarian's research this was proving to be quite a serious problem. Both Joseph and Ridon seemed to mirror his thoughts as they looked back at him. They had divided the work load as best they could but they were some things all of them simply had to know.

Joseph gave a nod. “Well I don't believe we should be surprised. When I think about the life bloom and the glyph it's not like I redesigned the sisters or they gained some new ability. All I managed to do is find out something they didn't know and help them take advantage of the knew knowledge. This is. Well this is something different.” As Joseph spoke he couldn't help but think of Maria and the way she teased him about his need to find a way for her to maintain her current size and continue developing. He actually felt somewhat foolish when he considered how certain he'd been that they would be able to finish the goal. Several weeks later though and the truth was becoming increasingly obvious.

Ridon, “I believe we may need to rethink our work schedule a bit.” As he spoke Ridon had to stand up and stretch for a moment. Between working on Ashas and Dan's project he had been quite busy. He didn't want to but he was considering only helping Dan two or three times a week in order to free up some more of his own time. After they had helped him he hated to do this but their work was simply taking far longer then any of them had expected. The studies had become increasingly and increasingly advanced. He actually nearly jumped out of his seat whenever the door opened and Alaina walked into the room.

Typically the protectors were either silent or polite about their movements. Alaina had been quite blunt whenever she walked into the threes work area in order to confront them. They had been making admirable progress but they were right. It was going to take several years for them to reach the point they needed to be to make use of Azon's work. Given that he had put several decades of life into his work this was to be expected. Listening to them talk had made her worry though and she had made a decision to help them. The other protectors were in chaos some agreeing with her actions and some disagreeing. Without a group decision she could feel a great weight pressing down on her and she was having to will herself to keep moving. Ridon actually helped her with that. “Come with me.”

***********************************************************************************

Naidra had joined them. Currently the three men found themselves in a room that they felt certain was beyond even their ability to reach. Alaina had needed several seconds to open the door. Ridon had also been very concerned whenever he saw her walking. It looked like she was more dragging her left leg then walking with it. Her body moved in sharp jerks and at times she needed to take a breath. Naidra for her part hadn't looked entirely whole either. Now they found themselves looking into a clear container which held a sleeping silver woman. It was Ridon that spoke. “Alaina who is that?”

Chapter 45 by happiest_in_shadows

Alaina, “She is Azon's final work. When I say Azon I mean the brother of Zarena and the same person who wrote the books you're currently reading. He put all the knowledge he gained and developed into her as well as a bit of himself in an attempt to fix the sister's problem. She has the potential to allow the sisters to adapt without having to sleep for years or months. Unfortunately he couldn't complete her.” As she spoke Alaina could feel heat building in her throat. This wasn't a situation where she was resisting the will of the other protectors. She was trying to ride it out instead as the mental battle raged between the groups with several protectors switching sides numerous times.

It actually surprised Ridon and worried him even more when he notice the trouble Alaina was having talking. Her usual clear voice was shaking and her legs seemed to bind from time to time as if weakening and then strengthening. “Alaina are you okay? Are you fighting some security function in order to bring us here?”

“No and yes. We are in disagreement as to if I should show you this or not. Which at this point doesn't matter as I've already done it!” As Alaina called out it was meant for the protectors rather then Ridon. Immediately she felt her head clear up a bit as some of the voices went silent with the simple realization. Others still wanted to debate if it was the right thing or not but it made it easier to focus. “That is better!”

Naidra, “I agree. Wow I hate it whenever we can't reach an agreement quickly.” Naidra took in a deep breath and gave herself a moment to rub her head before speaking. “As Alaina mentioned those books you're reading were written by Azon and should ultimately lead to you learning how his work was made. Unfortunately she isn't complete or perhaps it would be better to say she can't perform her task entirely by herself they're two things missing. One of them is enough power to make the necessary changes. This is what prevented Azon from making use of her. You have contributed significantly to meet this requirement Joseph. The second thing is someone with enough understanding to work with her during the alteration process. She can't perform the task entirely on her own.”

Dan, “So you gave me those books so that I could learn enough to help her perform the process?”

Alaina, “Well that or to finish her so that she doesn't need you to perform the task. It was never Azon's intention that she would need support but to complete her with his knowledge would have been as difficult as developing the necessary energy source if not more so.”

Dan actually felt rather excited as he looked at the young woman. At least she appeared to be a young woman though not entirely human. At times in the back of his mind he had wondered if what they were trying to do was even possible. Now it had been confirmed that it was indeed possible and the road wasn't quite as long as they had believed it to be. “What is her name though is she sentient?”

Alaina, “Azon desired that his sister be the one to name her. She should soon be reaching the part of his journal in which he tells her about her existence and asks for a name. Azon theorized that once his sister could remain awake long enough for her to read that far many of the necessary parts would be coming into place or our society would have collapsed completely. As for if she is sentient. Yes she is. In order to perform the necessary processes a simpler construct wouldn't work. One of the things Azon found most difficult about the task is insuring her nature so that she would happily be of assistance. The other part was waiting for a spirit to inhabit the body. This didn't actually happen within his life time.”

After a moment of silence Joseph gave a slight nod and stepped towards the sleeping figure. They were several things that he wanted to know at the moment. One thing that immediately came to mind though was her condition. “How well has she handled the ages?”

Naidra, “There has been no indicators of decline in all the time she's been asleep. Azon was very careful to insure that she would be comfortable while she slept. Once she is awakened however it won't be possible to put her back into her current state. So we have to be certain that those who awaken her are ready to work with her and have the ability to carry out his intentions if not finish her. We would prefer if both of the cases happened.”

Dan was lightly biting on his lower lip as he considered the situation. He had began this project before Joseph or Ridon so he was somewhat ahead of both of them despite sharing what he knew. One thing he couldn't help but wonder was what type of construct she was. When it came to mystic constructs it could mean so many things. A faelom was a construct so was a golem, a slime and even the intelligent spells they'd learned of. “Just how powerful of a construct will we be awakening once we do have the required knowledge to work with her?”

The Luvarians had several masterworks in their time that they felt were too dangerous to make use of but safe to learn from. A few were so dangerous it seemed too dangerous to even learn from them. One could not finish their work if they were dead after all. So the protectors weren't too upset that Dan would ask such a question. Azon's work related to his work but she wasn't his work. They weren't certain if such questions were in line with being a Luvarian but it might not be out of line either. It seemed to fit some of the longer lived Luvarians and one benefit of living a long time was having more time to contribute. “Well as you might imagine to be able to change the faelom she had to be very well built. This gives her the ability to change a great many things. That includes her environment and herself.”

Dan, “That makes sense. If she is going to help something as well built as a faelom transform itself she would have to be quite good at transformations. So is she more like one of you or more like a slime?”

Alaina, “Well she's really more like a spell. For example. She is projecting light at the moment rather then reflecting light as a physical being such as one of us does. I wish there was a common example that you would be familiar with that was more comfortable but she's really more of a lich then a golem. Spirit wouldn't really be a fair comparison in this case due to her relationship with the world being different on many levels. She isn't something born of the natural order after all anymore then well once again a lich is.” Alaina gave Naidra a look as she finished. “We really need to think of a better comparison. In this day and age there is simply no positive connections with a lich.”

“I know but most similar beings simply aren't well enough known.”

Ridon, “So how long do you believe it'll take us to reach a point where we can awaken her?”

Naidra, “A decade or two at the latest. We're hopeful that you could reach the needed point in five to seven years.”

Joseph knew that this time frame was practical. In order to aid her they were going to have to learn some very difficult and powerful forms of magic. He felt like his heart had jumped into his throat and he responded without thinking. “What! Maria was hoping this could be done before our child was born!”

Alaina gave a nod and a warm smile to Joseph. There was little that she could do in this situation despite her desire to help him. The type of magic they were going to learn was the type that could reshape the users flesh simply by them retaining the knowledge. It was one reaosn Azon had aged as well as he had. “Joseph I'm afraid I don't see that happening. I can only think of a few beings who were capable of going from where you are now to where you need to be in less then a year. In most of those cases the price of doing so would simply be far too great.”

There was no immediate response from any of the men. Dan was actually feeling Joseph's pain as well though. Mina had learned of Maria's intentions. To cut back how much she ate while she continued to improve with the glyph so that she didn't outgrow the citadel or even the forest. They didn't have the same concern that Joseph did as far as Dremera's situation. A sister had far less fear of their environment being too large for them then a human did even a young one. Their concerns were often that it would be too small. Yet they had still spoken about it. What would they do if she outgrew the citadel? It was Mina's decision that she would support his work by no longer increasing how much she ate and no longer growing. “Well I don't believe our mates are going to be happy to hear that.”

Alaina, “Well I'm fine with Ridon requiring a decade or two in order to master this type of magic. Sure I would be proud of him if he managed to do it sooner but I can wait.” Alaina couldn't help but grin as she reminded the group that she was Ridon's mate. Unlike their faelom mates she had no fear of outgrowing the citadel. The tease seemed to have the desired affect as Ridon smiled at her but the other two men gave her rather annoyed looks.

As Ridon listened to Alaina an odd thought came to him. She spoke as if the protectors had less to worry about then the sister's. Yet he couldn't help but wonder about Azon's work. Could it be used to benefit them as well? “Alaina could this possibly free you from your ties to the citadel? That or at least make it possible for you to survive in the event that you lose your power system?”

To this Alaina gave a nod. “Yes. Well just having enough energy for her to function would provide us with a safe guard as well. At least it would for a time.” Alaina hoped she wouldn't have to tell Ridon that in time her spirit would move on and the new Alaina would be a bit different from her. She was the spirit of his past lover after all this gave her a connection to him she wouldn't normally have had. Whenever she finally did die and the next Alaina woke up the memories would be there but not as much of the emotional connection. This was a mercy in some ways as she thought back to her past lives. If she felt all their connections as strongly as she felt the ones she'd made it would be very painful.

“I know. I'm just not comfortable with the way you're bound to the citadel like this even if it's very well defended. Any energy source that could feed you like a sleeper would be able to sustain you right?”

“That's correct.” It seemed like Ridon was thinking of his next project now. She hoped he would find a way to make use of the knowledge he'd already developed. Her attention turned to Joseph and Dan who seemed to have gathered around Azon's work. There wasn't anything they could learn just by looking at her. Yet it seemed they at least wanted to be closer to her physically if they weren't closer to her on an intellectual level. That would hopefully change.

***********************************************************************************

Mina smiled as she watched Dan and Dremera playing. They weren't playing their regular game of chase this time or tag. This time they were working on a game of control. Dan had drawn a line on the ground and set some marbles down. The goal of the game was to roll the marbles as close to the line as you could without actually going over it. This was actually proving very difficult for Dremera as she seemed to only have two modes. She could be gentle or she could be very forceful. Gentle wouldn't get her marbles close enough to the line while forceful would send it over. She watched as her daughter's tail flicked about in irritation as her father put another marble within a few centimeters of the line. She was distracted for a moment as she felt a wave of pain but then relief. “Are you sure I'm going to feel better after this and not worse?”

“No. I said you would feel worse and then much better then you do now.” It was nearly impossible for Mina to get a massage from any of the faelom. She was simply too strong. This wasn't a problem for a protector though and currently Naidra was working on giving her one. After several weeks of training it was more then past time. Today would be a day of relaxation for their students instead of training. Though Maria was apparently having issues with this as a sharp scream shot throughout the room even turning Dremera's attention towards her as Lestel must have hit a spot in great need of loosening up.

Lestel, “I don't see how a faelom that's so limber manages to put herself in this situation!”

“Let me go you psycho!” Maria couldn't believe how badly that had hurt. The body of a faelom was a remarkable thing with very little waste or toxins to build up in joints and muscles. Their body did a wonderful job of purging such toxins when they did build up. So she had no idea why this was hurting so badly. Part of her was certain that Lestel was just making this hurt intentionally as part of some kind of lesson. Unfortunately she couldn't get away from her. Even if she could run Lestel was faster then her or could be faster then her. Plus she wouldn't risk harming her child. Instead of Lestel relenting though Maria found herself forced down once again.

“Maria if I stop at this point you're only going to be worse off then when we began. Maria I hate to tell you this but when your body works at an accelerated pace you build up toxins and other concerns at an accelerated face. However, you don't have faster healing then any other faelom.”

“So this is because my body is built for speed!”

“Well yes.” Lestel had to keep herself from laughing as Maria gave a frustrated sigh and practically slammed her head against the table she was laying on. Fortunately it was made strong enough to endure the impact. “I am curious how your body is going to respond whenever it begins to feed on more and more purer forms of energy.”

“Huh?”

“Your decision to cut back on your eating as your training progressed. The quality of energy flowing through your body even if the amount of energy doesn't increase the nature of the energy should cause a change in the environment. Imagine a river that has just a little salt water in it compared to one that is even more pure. Okay I'm going to stretch here a bit. This is probably going to hurt.”

This time Maria was able to contain her outburst. Looking at Dremera actually helped. “Hey there kiddo. I'm sorry for interrupting your gaaame.” Maria had to lock her jaw tightly shut in order to keep herself from crying out again as Lestel found a muscles that needed loosening far more then expected.

It seemed like Maria was in need of a distraction. It meant she couldn't watch her mate and daughter as much but Mina turned her attention towards her. “How are you doing with your decision to cut back on how much you're eating? I imagine knowing that you have a son on the way and what it could mean for him really helps.” Hopefully if Maria was thinking about her child and her current efforts she wouldn't be as focused on the pain or worry about it as much. It was a good sign whenever she smiled at Mina despite Lestel's continued efforts.

“They're going about as well as you might expect. It isn't like whenever I had just woken up after being forced to sleep. Thank goodness. I actually feel better now. Well except perhaps in this hour then I have in years. After all I haven't been this big in years. One of the problems I am having is I no longer look forward to setting down to a meal as much as I used to especially as the size decreases. Having that happy moment to look forward to used to help me make it through a lot of days. Fortunately there is still my time with Joseph to look forward to and I've began trying to find other fun things to do. It doesn't help that I really can't do my old hobbies like I used to.” Maria had learned to like using her speed. Running through the forest at her top speed while for a moment everything seemed to hold still could be a rush. Now she couldn't do that. At least she couldn't until she gave birth.

“I understand what you're saying.” Mina had actually began cutting back on how much she ate as well after coming to understand Maria's reasoning. She could understand where she was coming from with such desires. Mina didn't want to force Dan to choose between continuing his work in the best possible environment and living with her. She didn't tell him that naturally. So she had began cutting back like Maria was doing. It seemed this was best for Dremera as well as the citadel had certain facilities that would benefit her. Once Dremera was grown Mina was uncertain as to what she would do. She wasn't certain how long it would take Dan to complete his work either.

A delighted yelp escaped Dremera as her marble rolled particularly close to the line and she immediately looked towards her father sticking her tongue out at him. Her marble had bumped into one of his and pushed it over the line. What made this beneficial was it had taken enough energy out of hers to keep it from rolling over the edge. So his loss was her benefit. She gave another yelp and jumped backwards whenever she tasted and felt something on her tongue. She freely showed her surprise upon realizing that her father had smacked her on the tongue. She recognized the taste from when she'd licked him before. Her response was to give him a quick smack with her tail. After seeing her mother do this several times she was certain it was allowed so long as she didn't hurt him.

The set wasn't actually over with yet. Dan had a few marbles that he could roll  and Dremera did as well. However, if he quit now it would mean Dremera had won. As smart as Dremera was she hadn't learned to count so she didn't know when a set truly ended and they had played a few throws. Dan settled quite quickly on ending the set now and gave his daughter's head a pat before standing up to go retrieve the marbles. “Nice game Dremera.” It actually surprised Dan whenever Dremera quickly leaped towards the line and began to gather up the marbles before he could even take a step.

It took Dan too long to walk even a short distance for Dremera's taste. Now that she had a method of winning she wanted to play more games. She was also becoming more skilled at controlling how much force she put into the throws. Filling with confidence due to her recent victory she felt ready to even the score between her and her father. She didn't know exactly how many times that he had won but he had managed to win more times then she had.

At least as the massage continued Lestel was finding fewer and fewer ways to cause her pain. Maria was rather grateful for that. What surprised her was that her body actually felt like it was beginning to loosen up. “I thought the Luvarians had built us better then this. Massages were something that humans needed due to their flawed design and something we simply played at.”

Lestel, “No system is that perfect and some preventive maintenance can go a very long way. We regularly give one another massages. Alaina is actually tending to one of us right now.”

“Are you serious? What part of your body do you tend to have the most issues with?”

Naidra, “We're similar but our bodies do differ some. Lestel for example tends to have issues with build up in her back. Alaina for her part actually has more issues with her thighs then any other part of her body. I'm similar to Lestel though my issues tend to be less severe. Then again Lestel's abdominal and back muscles are somewhat denser then mine.”

Mina, “Are you serious?” Mina risked raising up a bit to better look at Lestel and then Naidra. They didn't seem to mind though she did lay back down rather quickly.

It was rather amusing to Naidra to hear the shock in Mina and Maria's voice. They were so often thought of as such perfect beings that the notion something as simple as a massage would benefit them would seem strange. They were hardly the first to think as much. Even during the days of the Luvarians they were many apprentices and even low ranking Luvarians that believed such. “Yes I am serious. We're closer to being perfect copies of one another then you are but even the Luvarians couldn't make perfect copies of beings like us or you for that matter.”

Maria, “I bet the relationship between our bodies and spirits influence that a lot.”

Shock seemed to run throughout the protectors. They knew Maria was smart but the ease with which she made the statement and the simple truth of the matter surprised them all. It seemed rather clear that she was learning her lessons. It was Lestel who responded. “That is correct Maria! I see that you're learning the relationship between your spirit and body well.”

“You know how much Joseph talks about such things.”

Mina, “Dan to.”

Dan, “Hey! I just want to make sure that you know what I'm doing to do you.” Dan couldn't help but chuckle whenever Dremera quickly moved to stand beside him the moment he finished speaking and gave a sharp hiss making it clear who's side she was on. His daughter's language was still rather limited but she could make it clear who she stood with. “That's my sweet girl. You tell them who's right.”

For a moment Lestel and Naidra stopped working and looked towards Dremera. It took a great deal of willpower not to rush over to Dremera and hug her. Instead they froze for a moment and then managed to resume their work. Both Mina and Maria noticed this pause though and shot each other surprised looks. It was Mina who spoke up. “Have you always been this responsive to young children?”

Naidra, “It well. It depends. Okay seeing young faelom brought into the citadel and not being able to speak to them because we chose to go silent was a nightmare. Our maternal instincts are just as developed as yours after all however we don't have children of our own. Oh the times I've just wanted to steel one of the children away for us to raise him or her! I swear I believe I would have if I believed we could mentor them properly.”

Lestel, “No. You would not have. You couldn't bring yourself to cause a mother that kind of pain.”

Naidra didn't respond right away but took a deep breath. She actually found herself imaging the situation with the help of the other protectors. She tried to bring up the emotions she would feel upon taking a faelom from her parent or the community. It made her heart shake for a moment and she opened them again. “Yes you're right. Still the desire was there. Okay Mina you're done.”

A sigh escaped Mina and she began to raise up. As she went to shift her weight to her legs though she was surprised how weak they felt. She didn't nearly fall or stumble but the words came. “Wow. I don't believe I could jump to the top of a middle aged tree with my legs feeling like this.” As she finished speaking Mina began to twist and extend her right leg trying to convince the limb to feel like it originally did.

Naidra, “You will be back to normal soon.”

Upon seeing Mina stand up Maria was tempted to do so as well. Lestel hadn't stopped her work though. “Hey does that mean I'm nearly done to?”

Lestel, “You still have a little while to go.”

“Mina's finished though!”

“Yes but Mina hasn't spent the last few years moving about at an enhanced rate. If you come to us once every month or so this will become far more pleasant.”

***********************************************************************************

This felt quite odd to Azera. She was currently locked away and not allowed to go roam the forest as she had been. Certain forms of labor had been required of her and she even had a brother and keeper watching over her. Yet she felt like the other faelom trusted her more then they ever had before. It felt very awkward and she didn't know if it felt bad. She did know that some of the other distrusted had stopped liking her and even became increasingly hostile towards her. Others seemed to be following her example but they appeared to be the minority. In truth it was leaving her with relatively few people to talk to even for a distrusted and that was beginning to get to her. It seemed things were changing now though as she followed Markus. That was another strange thing. She was truly following Markus as Mirara was walking behind them. She had no doubt that if she was to move on Markus though Mirara could stop her.

Mirara seemed to think that it was good for Azera to become used to following a male in one way or the other. All faelom were used to following the higher ranking faelom already. Even the distrusted had plenty of experience with that. Yet she wasn't willing to leave them alone even with Azera's good behavior. Good behavior that was going to be rewarded. “Azera I just want to say that you've done really well and we believe that it's time things changed for you. We recently managed to prepare some rooms for guest that show promise. We've also noticed that you've been spending a lot of time alone. We can't force the other guest to get along with you but we do have some other guest you might get along with.”

“So you're separating me from the others?”

Now Markus came to a stop and turned to look at Azera. It felt strange to see a distrusted as large as her. Before he would have never thought that they would be allowed to grow to guardian size. At least the size of the guardians from several years back due to the threat they posed to the brothers. It was likely due to the notion that the distrusted would be contained and growing their own food that they had been allowed to grow to their current size. “No. You can go speak with the others whenever you want. However, if you want to keep your distance from them you also have the ability to do so. Plus we have some people that we're going to introduce you to.”

Azera wasn't certain what she should think whenever Markus opened the door and she noticed a few males working. She didn't have to think much to realize that they were claimed. Yet she also noticed they seemed a bit different then the standard claimed. For one thing they were moving about the room with a variety of chemicals that she recognized as rather dangerous. The type of alchemical reagents that one could make use of in an escape. Also their clothing seemed like it was different. “What's going on here?”

Mirara, “This is currently the first class of our education to promotion system that has been implemented.” Rather then continue the explanation Mirara turned towards one of the men that didn't seem to be too busy. “Travis do you have a moment to come over here and speak with us?”

Travis couldn't respond immediately. Rather he continued to look at the beaker in front of him. After taking a moment more to make sure the reaction was stable he stood up and began to approach them. “Sure. I take it this is Azera. Pleased to meet you Azera I've heard you're changing a lot of peoples minds about the distrusted.”

Azera made no move to take Travis's hand but she looked down at him. The snarl that most distrusted would have worn when being approached in such a way didn't appear. “Okay what is this education to promotion system.”

“We're all claimed that were to be freed but we asked to remain and continue our work and our studies. We all have our reasons but all of us see an opportunity to obtain knowledge and skills that we couldn't hope to get anywhere else and if we should choose to return to human society afterwords it would benefit us to have them. I mean. I was a stable cleaner and other things before I went into the forest in hopes of bettering my situation.” Travis gave a slight chuckle as he remembered his path and thought about how he was learning alchemy now.

“Wait you said claimed to be freed?”

Mirara, “We're making some changes to the claimed system. All claimed are to be pardoned so we can start fresh. From this point on there is going to be a criminal trial deciding the cost of the persons actions and the service they are to do in order to repay it. The old days of we capture you so you're dead and must regain your life are over with it seems. We haven't quite worked out the finer details yet.”

“What!” Azera actually felt like her heart had leaped into her throat. Even a distrusted was higher ranked them a claimed at least officially. Now she was being told they were doing away with the system. “And just how do you plan on retaining our numbers in that situation? It isn't just the labor but acquiring enough mates as well.”

“The orcs are helping us out with both.”

“You mean they've began capturing humans?”

A delighted giggle escaped Mirara as she shook her head in the negative. “No! We can mate with them you know and some of our sisters find them rather appealing. They're also helping with the manufacturer of certain goods. Finally with our increased resources we've began to open ourselves up to trade again. It's been amazing how much more metal we've been able to bring in the last few months. Even without the ship Zarena found in the ocean.”

Metal? Zarena finding a ship in the ocean? It was clear to Azera that she was missing a lot of information. It actually made her feel rather dizzy as she realized while they were contained the world was continuing to move around them. It wasn't on par with when she'd learned about the glyph and all faelom being forced to use it in order to better themselves. It was still rather stunning though. “What are you doing! I mean. I can see where some of us have gone too far but you're letting them take over our entire culture.”

Mirara, “By making us more powerful?”

“By making us dependent!” For a moment Azera thought she was in trouble whenever Mirara placed a hand on her shoulder. Yet Mirara's smile didn't even flinch as she looked down at her. Rather it seemed rather warm and comforting.

“We had that debate. We haven't forgotten what relying on the outside world cost us in the past. We're not going to destroy the manufacturing buildings or let the skills leave us. We had several long hard debates and put a lot of research into figuring out the best way to open ourselves up to trade but avoid dependency.”

“And I'm just suppose to trust you?”

“No but. We did vote on it and even if you were allowed a keepers vote. Well actually even if all distrusted were allowed a keepers vote it wouldn't have changed these decisions in the end. Now during the first few weeks of debate you could have moved things all sorts of ways. I wish I could convey to you how hostile some of us became over certain issues.”

“Over what?”

“Well it's like you said. By opening ourselves up to trade we run the risk of becoming reliant on the goods of others. This would grant them power over us and that isn't something we can allow. This could seriously hinder our ability to protect ourselves, our children, our mates and our brothers. Yet it would also bring greater resources and greater power. So we resolved that we're going to set production goals for home made goods. We'll then maintain these levels to insure that the facilities remain functional and we don't loose the needed skills.” Mirara hoped that this would help Azera relax but she doubted it would. She still had something of a distrusted mind set.

“I see. So why did you bring me here?”

Markus, “Like we said. We want to introduce you to some people. Azera we would like you to work with the education to promotion system.”

This wasn't what she expected. While Azera had began to change her thoughts a bit and admitted to it this seemed to be going rather far. She agreed that the brothers were important members of their society and did contribute. Yet the faelom could survive without them while the brothers wouldn't be nearly as well off. “So what do you expect me to do?”

Markus, “I would like you to continue what you were doing. Only the plants you're going to be tending to are far more valuable then the one from your earlier garden. You'll work with Travis and the others to improve your yields while also determining what plants are the most needed. This does include benefits for you as well. Now you won't be allowed to increase your size directly but if you're willing you could begin training with the glyph.”

Azera felt herself perk up a little bit. That wasn't what she had been expecting. Learning to direct more mystic energy into her body so that she would grow larger wasn't something that could be taken away from her. They could force her to sleep and regress in size when it came to food but this was different. “How long until I could begin training?”

“Well that depends on your productivity.” It was fairly clear to Markus that Azera was interested. Part of him worried that letting her undergo such training was dangerous. Yet she had shown good progress and he believed this would help guide her further down that path. He didn't know if she would consider it such a reward whenever she realized how difficult such training was especially in the beginning and the results were slow in coming.

***********************************************************************************

Joseph was glad that Dan and a few others were there with him. In truth he felt rather awkward though as he looked around at the massive number of faelom. He knew that they were a relatively small number of sisters but between their size and their presence it sure felt like more. It didn't help that Zarena was there as well. Currently the massive sleeper was setting in front of him behind a large group of protectors and guardian ranked sisters. Stella was currently standing in the middle of the gathering addressing all the faelom there.

“We know that we have a great many resources the outside world wants and has tried to take from us by force. They have resources we want and we have been a good bit nicer about how we obtained them. Now in the past we've known that inviting people into our forest to trade is also inviting them to take from us. That's going to happen again. We all know at least a few merchants are going to try to sneak a few extra plants or potions from us. That isn't our biggest concern. Our real concern is the merchants that try to corrupt us and those that become corrupted. That is what I want to talk about.”

As Joseph listened to Stella continue he was rather surprised. She had a good point. Trade also meant opportunity for bribery and back room deals. The faelom weren't immune to such things. If they were they would also be above trying to sneak extra food or add on an extra quarter centimeter with no one noticing. Stella to his surprise wasn't trying to hold onto isolation but was talking about the need for a sort of watch group to keep an eye out for corruption. He agreed with her on that point but he couldn't agree with her views on the proper punishment. She wasn't alone in her beliefs but every sister didn't hold them either. He was rather relieved whenever Flora spoke up.

“I agree that we do have to be mindful of corruption within our own ranks. Food was our great motivation for a long time but as that need is met other needs are going to come to the front. As these new desires form I'm certain there will be those that seek to manipulate us with them. I believe that you're going a little far with your notion of proper punishments. Yes if one of the merchants is found bribing one of us they are encouraging corruption but I don't agree that should result in the merchants death. Rather I would recommend a period of time as a claimed for their contribution to the degradation of a faelom. As while they might encourage such behavior responsibility also falls with the faelom that gave in.”

There was silence for a few moments. Dan knew that they faelom were actually speaking to one another but they were being too quiet for a human to hear. He knew that it was rude but he wasn't certain what a brother was suppose to do at these meetings to begin with. At the risk of being rude he stood up and noticed all the sisters including Flora and Zarena look towards him. None of them said anything and that made it even more awkward. “If you were caught bribing a public official in my home nation execution wasn't an uncommon type of punishment. No one wanted you to have an unfair advantage over them after all.”

Flora, “Then do you support such an extreme punishment?” Flora was actually rather surprised that Dan seemed to be taking Stella's side. His voice didn't have the usual confidence at least. Likely he was speaking from his experience with other systems rather then his personal beliefs. Flora did agree that such things should be punished harshly but execution seemed a bit too harsh.

“Bribery is a very serious offense Flora. I believe it's more serious then you realize. It degrades trust in the system and thanks to preferential treatment it hurts a lot of people. It hurts the other buyers and sellers as well as the consumers that come after that. Plus if the official or in this case the faelom involved actually took the bribe you have to wonder how many times they've already done so. I don't believe in a hard absolute rule though even for minor bribery. Perhaps the punishment should be based on the amount of damage done?” Dan took this moment to set down. He had more to say but speaking in front of the faelom felt harder then speaking in front of the brothers for some reason. He wished Mina was setting closer.

While she listened to the conversations even the ones the apprentices couldn't hear Zarena finally chose to speak up. “The Luvarians had to deal with people trying to bribe them as well. Perhaps if you paid the Luvarian selling the golems directly they would give you a discount on the overall sell. As you might imagine the Luvarians as a whole were not fond of such business practices. I believe we should adopt their tactics. Attempts at corrupting officials should result in the seizure of goods and either baring them from future deals or placing stiff fines upon any such deals. The goal is to make such practices not worth the risk.”

It was nice to have Zarena on her side. Flora did worry that Zarena's presence would override the thoughts of the others and that wouldn't be good. So she was glad whenever the conversations didn't stop. She did feel somewhat bad for the apprentices. They couldn't hear what was being said all around them but knew anything they said would be heard. At least some of them had began to speak among themselves about the policy. “Indeed we don't want to induce fear in those that are coming go trade with us after all. We want them to feel comfortable and not have to worry about being killed for no reason or because of a mistake on our part.”

Joseph, “I believe you may need to be aware of other peoples cultures as well. Such business practices really aren't unusual in certain regions.”

***********************************************************************************

Currently Joseph found himself laying on Maria's stomach. His head was pressed against the underside of her breasts while she used her right hand to massage his feet. His feet weren't really hurting but the attention felt nice. His head was positively throbbing. Her voice actually did a lot to ease his pain. “So what did you think of one of our meetings? It's a bit different from what you see with the brothers isn't it?” Maria knew the answer to the question already but she wondered how Joseph would answer it. In truth that meeting had been quite calm likely due to the presences of several of the brothers. The sisters were instinctively more polite and careful whenever they were around.

“I felt pretty out of place to be honest. I knew that some of you were having conversations among yourselves but I couldn't hear a thing. Even when the other brothers whisper we have some idea of what's happening. It actually made me pretty nervous. I didn't know what to think whenever Alexa was accused of putting the brothers in danger and how angry she became in response to it.” The meeting had been calm and peaceful for quite some time like the brothers. Then the accusation had come and the sisters had started to become more energetic and louder. Suddenly the ability to process a lot of voices talking at once had become very important and Joseph had thought they were going to end up having a fight.

Maria gave a slight giggle and removed her hand from Joseph's feet to careful draw her right index finger over his forehead. He pushed his head more firmly against her finger as if her touch was soothing. From the way his body was responding that seemed to be exactly what it was. “We try to stay calm whenever we're having our meetings but at times someone says something that really upsets us.”

“I understand that but shouldn't have Zarena calmed you all down?”

“Well we were being calm.” Maria couldn't help but laugh as Joseph raised up and gave her a rather surprised look. “So long as the injuries are kept down to ones that will heal in the next few hours we consider that being calm. We tend to be quite passionate about certain responsibilities after all.”

“How does that work though with the differences in your sizes?”

“Well a sister isn't considered right just because she proves she's stronger then another sister. It just means she lost her composure. Attacking another faelom doesn't help ones argument and beating them doesn't help it either. It could actually end up hurting someone's argument especially if a keeper has to step in. Well unless the argument was that the faelom in question is too weak to carry out her responsibilities. Then a beating can serve as  clear proof. We are biologically conditioned to respond to certain challenges with force after all.” Maria gave a slight shrug after a moment. The meeting hadn't gone beyond yelling and noting past successes and failures. It wasn't even truly loud but the constant assault of words could induce a head ache.

“Was anything actually achieved? I know early on Dan and a few others were able to get in a few words.”

“You didn't hear?” Now Maria was getting an idea of how distracted Joseph must have been. They had actually managed to come up with a few guidelines during their meeting. These would be further developed by the keepers and matrons. The guardians and lower ranked faelom didn't need to be involved in the fine details normally.

“No. What was decided while my head was pounding?”

Instead of responding right away Maria proceeded to raise up slightly. Her tail wrapped around Joseph in order to hold him stable as she looked down into his eyes. His response was to take hold of her tail as if making sure that it was secure. The fact that she was looking down at him between her breast brought a large smile to her face. Once again part of her couldn't help but think of the fun she could have with him if she was a sleeper. Yet there was so much she would lose as well if she was to grow that large. “I really hope I end up with a mutation that allows me to adjust my scale. As for what we settled on. It was resolved that there should be stiff criminal charges for bribing a faelom even a small bribe. We'll need to make these rules clear to any traders coming here otherwise the fault would be with us. Execution was decided to be too much but simply charging them a fee wasn't satisfactory.

After all. If they've already had a dozen corrupt deals slip by us the fees might not be enough to keep them from profiting or repair the damage. The punishment needed to involve something they couldn't just compensate for with past successes. So we resolved that anyone caught bribing a faelom will have to spend several years as a claimed. The number of years will depend on how severe the offense was and if we can find proof of past doings. The more immediate details haven't been resolved yet. Plus we're still arguing over what is considered a bribe.”

Maria's last sentence actually surprised Joseph. He tended to think of a bribe as something that was rather obvious. “What do you mean?”

“Well we all have rights to the forest. So if you pay me to go into the forest to retrieve some special tree bark for you but you're not going through official paths is that bribery? I don't believe it is. As I had the right to that bark and I'm taking from the resources I'm allowed and trading them to you. Bribery comes into play whenever the goods are being bought from the community storehouses for example.”

“So each faelom is allowed to conduct a little business on the side if she wants.”

“That's correct. After all we aren't going to have everything someone wants in the storehouse. What if they want bark from a tree of a certain age that has had a dryad living in the area for a long time? There is simply no guarantee we'll have such bark on hand.” As she spoke Maria was hopeful that Joseph would agree with her. All the faelom had realized shortly after the meeting that they had drown out the brothers as they became more emotional and began to debate more energetically. As the brothers weren't given their voice despite being invited it meant they could come back later and start the debate over again.

“I can see that. Is that the only problem?”

“Not quite. We're still arguing a lot over bringing someone a gift. What if the merchant simply gives a faelom a bag of spice as a sign of friendship and good will? Right now we're thinking that will be allowed but only after the deal has been completed.”

Before responding Joseph began to turn about so that he could be facing Maria. Her well trained tail actually cooperated with this making the task relatively easy despite the secure grip she had on him. “Well what about the faelom that make such deals?”

“That's a tricky one. Does allowing yourself to be bribed or worse yet seeking a bribe mean you should be lowered to the rank of distrusted? Some of the old punishments aren't going to work with the new food sources we're developing and well training with your glyph. I mean normally the main punishment for a sister was restricting how much she could eat for a week or so. We're thinking about taking the labor path but we're not certain what jobs are going to be around. Plus if we're going to punish the merchants for such actions a corrupt sister really needs to suffer an equivalent punishment.”

The faelom were trying to be fair about it at least. Joseph could also understand where Maria was coming from. For a long time restricting a faelom's food further was a severe punishment that was easy to apply. Without that stick in the options anymore they were having to come up with new systems. “You could treat them like one of the claimed merchants you know.”

“That's true but it's normally so much easier for us to do something then it is for one of you.”

“That just means you need to scale up the labor a bit. Think about it like this. Any faelom caught accepting a bribe could be relegated to fishing on the ocean front village. That is after all a task you have unusual levels of difficulty doing. Unlike other sisters that spend their time fishing though such a faelom would have to donate her catch to the community. Plus they could help the sleepers prepare their homes. I'm sure they're some fine details that Zarena could use some help with.”

“That is a good idea! I'll bring it up to the others. So are you feeling better?”

Instead of responding right away Joseph reached up and placed a hand on the front of each of Maria's breast. The fact that her breast positively dwarfed his hands now only added to the excitement as he pushed them into the soft flesh. Her smile grew a bit as he began to work his hands against her flesh moving them in small circles before leaning forward and placing a kiss on her stomach. “ I believe that I am.”

“You've been rather focused on your work lately.”

“I know. I just wanted to finish project hastened alteration as soon as possible. I guess I needed someone to set me down and show me how long that was truly going to take.” A sigh escaped Joseph as he looked towards Maria's stomach for a moment. Their son would be at least ten years old before he managed to complete the work and it was possible that it would take longer. Maria was going to have to wait ten years to grow again. At least that was his current belief. Could she even hold out that long though? These thoughts made it hard for Joseph to stay still and not resume his studies.

“I understand. At least with your new perspective we know what to expect and can slip some fun time in.” As she spoke Maria placed a hand under Joseph and lifted him higher so that he was level with her breasts. Her left hand reached up and she gently pressed her left index finger against the front of his pants. She could feel him hardening in response to her touch while her nipples swelled and pushed out from underneath her fur. Joseph didn't need much prompting and took her nipple into his mouth lightly sucking on it while both of his hands pressed against the side of her right breast. “Mm you know when our son comes you're going to have to help me with feeding him. Let's see if we can work on your milking routine a bit.”

Joseph wasn't entirely certain what Maria wanted. He had practice working her breast and plenty of it at this point. He had a rough idea of what she was talking about whenever her hand came up and moved his head away from her nipple. His attention turned up towards her face.

“Not so greedy.”

For a moment Joseph wasn't certain what to think. He was sucking on her breast like he normally would. A slight chuckle escaped him after a moment more and realization came to him. Instead of taking her nipple into his mouth he placed a hand against her breasts as if he was holding a cup of some type. His other hand grasped the top of her nipple and he squeezed gently on it while pulling forward. At the same time he pressed his face against the side of Maria's breasts and gave it a firm kiss. His hand relaxed as he pushed against her breasts and then squeezed as he pulled forward once again. He could literally feel it whenever Maria moaned. “I don't know if you have to worry about me being greedy. I'm sure you're going to make enough for both of us with these.”

Maria gave a slight giggle and inserted two of her fingers into Joseph's pants. As he squeezed her nipple she gave his penis a light squeeze and listened to the change in his heart rate and breathing. “I believe that you're right.” As Joseph continued to work her breasts Maria squeezed her legs together. Joseph truly had been spending quite a bit of his time working. She hadn't given it much thought but it seemed like her body had been building up her desires. Unfortunately both her hands and tail were busy with Joseph which meant she would just have to wait.

“That's my love.” Joseph gave Maria's right breasts another kiss and looked over towards her left. Unfortunately there was little that he could do in his current position. The solution came before he could think on it too much as Maria began to shift him to her left. “I take it that means your right is tapped out.”

“Maybe.” A slight giggle escaped Maria before Joseph began to work on her left breasts. “Now make sure you don't spill a drop.” Currently Maria wasn't actually providing any milk. Yet just the words added to her excitement. “Lighten the pressure a bit and increase the speed. Perhaps you could give my nipple a few licks on the side.”

Joseph's response was swift in coming. His hand left her nipple and he pressed his lips against the side of it. Given that Maria was well over four meters tall her nipple felt quite healthy against his lips especially in its pert state. As he kissed her nipple he lightly sucked on the side. Maria gave an excited gasp and began to lean backwards. While pretending to hold the cup with his right hand he reached to his side and began to play with the nipple of her other breasts. Sure there was no cup over there but if she was already tapped out then that should be fine. He felt Maria moving beneath him as she shifted her hips and heard the cushion respond to her shifting weight.

As Joseph worked her nipple Maria slipped her fingers further into his pants and underneath his balls. Lifting up on them she began to shift her fingers about both lifting and lowering his balls while rubbing her her fingers against the side of his penis. When she felt him reflexively thrust against her fingers she moved him back and slipped her hand out of his pants before taking hold of the base of his shirt. “Let's take this off of you.”

There was no protest from Joseph as he took a moment to take in a few deep breaths. The air felt good against his hot skin as Maria removed his shirt. She had lifted him slightly higher in the air so that he was looking down at her now. His bottom wrested in her left hand while she was using her tail to keep his position stable. “Do you believe we have enough milk?”

“Well perhaps for a few feedings.”  Maria couldn't help but giggle as Joseph pretended to put a lid on his make believe cup. “You know this could be very hard. We had better make sure to prepare a batch every morning.”

“That's true.” In truth Joseph wondered how much time he and Maria would have for such things whenever their son came along. He knew they wouldn't be able to be as open as they were now. That meant they needed to enjoy themselves now of course. He was made to shiver whenever Maria moved him closer and ran her lips along his stomach for a moment letting him just feel the edges of her teeth. As she lowered him she leaned back and actually removed her hands from him. It took him by surprise for a moment as she looked at her smiling face. Maria almost never let go of him during sex. Even her tail was made to relax its hold. It actually left Joseph feeling somewhat uncertain. Normally sex with Maria was a gentle battle for control.

For a moment Joseph did nothing but Maria waited. He seemed to decide on what he wanted to do and rotated so that he was facing her crotch. The moment he had finished turning Maria couldn't resist and gave his rear a quick pinch. Her lips clamped tightly shut as she struggled to contain her laughter upon noticing Joseph jump a bit. “Let me help you take your pants off.” That hadn't been Maria's intentions but it was the best thing she could think of saying. She was rather surprised whenever Joseph laid down the moment she had unbuttoned his pants. His plan became clear as she held onto his pants and he began to crawl out of them. The action wasn't graceful. It was jerky rough and meant his body was rubbing against hers quite vigorously. She really enjoyed it.

Joseph was used to Maria ripping his clothing. They had been made quite tough to avoid that and lately the protectors had even repaired some of them for him. So he wasn't too concerned about damaging his pants as he fought free of them. Rather he was more interested in moving his body against Maria's. As her crotch moved closer to his face he felt his own excitement growing and he almost pounced upon her crotch the moment his legs were free. Looking down at Maria's labia he remembered whenever she shaved it. Right now Maria's labia gave off the impression of being covered by a set of very fine and tight panties. Except these panties could open up.

A sharp gasp escaped Maria whenever she felt Joseph's lips press against her labia. His left and right hand were placed on either side of her lower lips and she felt the index and middle finger of both hands pressing against the side of them. A low moan escaped her and Maria arched her back for a moment. Soon Joseph's fingers began to move against the sides of her lower lips while his feet teased her stomach. She felt his tongue press against her clitoris. It felt so small compared to the first time they made love but that seemed to excite her even more. Reaching down Maria slipped her right hand under Joseph raising him slightly and taking his penis between her fingers once again. She could feel it pressing firmly against her body.

Maria's attention only served to drive Joseph further as he kissed her clitoris. He could still remember what it was like at several of her sizes. Each time she grew the little bit of flesh became more noticeable and much to his surprise Maria seemed to become more responsive to such attention. As he worked her clitoris with his mouth his fingers pressed past her petals. Joseph proceeded to apply a light pressure parting Maria further while beginning to work his fingers within her. He had to adjust whenever her massive body would shift beneath him as her right leg curled upward for a moment. He heard her gasp and thrust lightly against her in response to her attention.

Soon more of Joseph's fingers entered into her pussy. As Maria squeezed on his hands she pressed them together for a moment. Joseph's position was awkward for his task though yet she gave a slight whimper whenever she relaxed and he withdrew his hands for a moment and began to reposition himself so that he could get more of his arms into the task at hand. As he settled between her legs Maria lightly squeezed him between her thighs rubbing them against him.

Before resuming his efforts Joseph gave either one of Maria's thighs a kiss. As his lips met with them she flexed her legs making the muscles swell and harden. It was a strange thought that Maria was considered a light build amongst the faelom. This prompted Joseph to gently rub his face against her leg while looking at her smiling face. “You're beautiful Maria.” Leaning forward Joseph once again pressed his fingers inside of Maria's vagina. It felt like the heat had increased even further. Bringing himself closer he once again press his lips against her clitoris before shoving his arms even further within her body. He heard her gasp and she grasped his arms with her vagina once again.

“Try to pull your arms out.” Maria had to be careful now. She didn't want to hurt Joseph but she didn't want to make this easy either. His initial progress surprised her a great deal as he pulled with far more force then she was prepared for. A sharp gasp escaped her and she was only able to stop his arms when the only thing inside of her was a fourth of his forearm. A delighted squeal came from her as he began to actively shift his arms from side to side both rubbing them against her insides and pulling them out. “Ah! That's good!” Maria's legs had by now curled around behind Joseph and she used them to gently squeeze him as he worked his arms out. Just before his fingers left her vagina she felt him thrust forward again.

Joseph had to be careful when thrusting into Maria. He had long ago came to appreciate how strong her inner muscles where. When he would thrust into her he made certain to form a tight fist. Fortunately the more excited Maria became the easier the task became.

“This isn't fair! I can barely reach you.” As Joseph worked her vagina Maria used her tail to tease Joseph. She ran it against his penis and wrapped it around his shaft as best she could. It was hard to apply the type of pressure she wanted especially in her excited state though without risking hurting him and she didn't want to do that. Joseph's response was to pump his arms within her all the more quickly. It was nearly more then she could take and Maria quickly set up and brought herself forward making use of her remarkable abdominal muscles and her agility.

A soft weight settled down atop his body and Joseph didn't need to think much to realize what it was. He had seen Maria lean froward from a seated position and place her chest against the ground while teasing him several times. The pose always made him cringe a bit as he imagined every muscle in his back being torn if he tried to take on such a pose especially as easily as she did. He felt her right hand clamp down on his rear and give it a squeeze while one of her fingers snaked up from behind him and teased his ball sack. He could feel her nipples pressing into his back as she gently brushed them over his body even as he worked. Without thinking the kisses he was giving her clitoris were becoming more and more passionate.

It seemed to surprise Joseph whenever Maria plunged her fingers within herself along with his. The fit was tight but her fingers didn't stay long as she brought her hand out and took hold of his penis with her cum soaked fingers. Joseph froze for a moment and she began to work his penis while he continued to pump his arms into her. “You can cum first Joseph. I know that you want to.”

It was between labored breaths that Joseph managed to respond. “Not before you.”

That wasn't expected. The moment Joseph had responded he had been withdrawing his fingers and suddenly he had spread them pushing them as firmly against the walls of her vagina as he could. She didn't know if he realized how effective it would be but the shot of pleasure that slammed into Maria's brain made it go blank for a moment sending her backwards back into a reclined position rather then bent forward.

As Maria's body respond Joseph pressed his face firmly against her and began to rapidly lick her petals and clitoris. As she came he felt her legs tighten up around him as if to insure he couldn't escape. He had believed this would be a bit of a relief for him as for the moment she stopped giving his penis the attention she had been. Instead he found it very hard to contain himself and was left breathing almost as deeply as he was. As he felt her legs relaxing their hold on him he was taken off guard by her tail wrapping around him and pulling him forward. His upper body was pulled onto Maria's stomach while he felt his penis enter into her. Her vagina was made to tighten up on his erection immediately and he was rather surprised by how firm of a grip she could exert upon it.

“Let's see if we can do that again.” With Joseph inside of her Maria relaxed her hold on him. Their massive height difference did pose something of a problem. It was difficult for him to reach her breasts in his current position. She would just have to put on a show for him. Pressing up on the underside of her breasts Maria lifted them to her mouth and ran her tongue along both of her pert nipples. As she swirled her tongue around either bit of flesh Joseph began to thrust within her while his attention seemed firmly focused on her breasts. “Once you're done down there perhaps you'd like to spend some more time with them. Perhaps they could snuggle you a bit.”

As he thrust into Maria Joseph was doing his best to keep himself from orgasming. Her words weren't helping the situation. With her breast out of his reach Joseph reached to his side and grasped as much of Maria's stomach as he could. He turned his attention away from her breasts above him and pressed his face into her stomach kissing it with as much force as he could manage. As he kissed Maria's stomach he could feel the well defined wall of muscle laying just beneath her fur. He could feel the power in her legs as they wrapped around him and that drove him to thrust within her with even greater energy.

“That's wonderful Joseph! Oh yes.” Maria stopped teasing her breasts for a moment and ran her tongue along her lips. With Joseph laying on her stomach she couldn't bind like she did before. It was something of a frustration as she wanted to kiss him now. Lacking that ability Maria reached down with her right hand and carefully ran it along the back of Joseph's neck and shoulders. As she lightly squeezed the back of Joseph's neck it seemed to give him even more energy as his thrust became even faster. Her finger tips ran gently over his back letting him feel the very tips of her claws for just a moment. Reaching down further she gave his rear a slight squeeze just as he thrust into her. A large grin formed on her face as she felt Joseph shiver.

As Joseph thrust into Maria her attention had been welcome and distracting. His focus disrupted for but a moment he found himself cumming before there was anything to do about it. His body slammed firmly against Maria's stomach and he squeezed as much of her as he could for all he was worth. Her legs tightened up around him as if to insure that he remained deep within her and he found himself looking at her. The fact that he hadn't managed to get her off while within her didn't reach him until moments later. The feeling that came with this realization was oddly depressing yet he wasn't certain what to say as Maria pulled his rapidly relaxing penis out of her body.

“Enjoy the show.” As Maria spoke she turned Joseph over so that his back was on her stomach and pulled him up so that his head wrested amongst her breasts. Her left hand came to wrest upon his chest while her right hand reached down and began to pet her lower lips. She could feel Joseph's body tense as he tried to raise himself up but she wasn't going to allow that. “Just watch Joseph and enjoy my breasts.” As Maria spoke she began to move her thumb against her clitoris while pressing two of her fingers within herself.

***********************************************************************************

“I'm telling you that the north rise is simply to close to a human fortification. We need to use the southern plains. Besides the trade deals we have managed to begin have all been in the south.” Currently Alexa found herself standing before a group of keepers, a few guardians who wanted to attend and a few brothers. They were trying to figure out the best place to set up a trading hub. The notion was that it would be tended to by a few faelom at the end of each week and those who wanted to trade with them could. The locations were close to the forest and from the human perspective would be dangerously close to the forest. This was actually the idea. They didn't want to intrude on the land of others but they weren't quite ready to bring them into the forest.

Flora, “But the north is where most of our long term trading allies come from. Are we going to require them to travel all the way to the south if they want to make a deal with us now?” Flora understood what Alexa was saying. The towns of the south had been more willing to trade then those in the north and more willing to take risk. Likely the war that had been destroying the land when Joseph had fled influenced such behavior. Yet those former claimed who had continued to trade with them after leaving the forest mostly lived in the north.

Alexa, “They can still come into the forest to trade with us.”

Flora, “You know they have to spend more resources to do that then they would normally and it limits what they can bring us. The forest isn't exactly a good place for wagons after all.”

Did they risk damaging their relationship with past allies or take advantage of new resources? Joseph found himself listening quietly but one thing did come to his mind. “Why don't we just use both locations? You don't plan on sending a great many faelom to both of them do you?”

Flora, “We're not sure how the humans will respond or how many faelom each location will need to insure that it's safe. If the turn out is as good as he hope but doubt will happen and someone attacked we would have to send  a lot of our sisters to defend them. If both locations were to come under such an attack I don't believe we could defend both locations and our home sufficiently.”

“Even with your increased size?”

“Unfortunately protecting a large number of people can still be an issue especially if they panic and begin to split up.”

Joseph gave a slight nod. Flora and the other faelom were very serious about protecting their allies and were simply trying to insure they would be safe. He could respect that though he didn't think using both locations would be taking too great of a risk. He doubted that he would be able to convince them otherwise though. The faelom were very careful whenever it came to protecting their allies.

Alexa, “How about if instead of holding the trade every week we held it every two weeks and we alternated locations? I mean the journey might be easy for us but that isn't going to be the case for human traders.”

Flora, “That is a wonderful idea. That would mean that as far as either the south or north was concerned we're only having these trade meetings once a month. Now what about the sea front village and making use of the ships to trade?”

Stella was made to cringe for a moment as she remembered something rather important. “Yeah. The trade ship we were working on there wasn't quite as ocean ready as we believed it was. The little boats that are being used for fishing are doing fine now but the trade one sort of sunk and had to be carried back to land by Zarena. We apparently didn't take the stresses a large vessel would experience into full consideration.”

For a moment no one said anything but Flora did bite down on her lower lip. This entire going to ocean business made her a little nervous. Sure Kersara was training several sisters how to swim and she was a great swimmer herself but it still made Flora nervous. They knew there was food in the ocean but there was also a lot of ocean. “How bad was it?”

“The ship didn't split in half or anything like that. There were just several parts of the ship that weren't quite as water tight as we believed. From what I've been told they need to come up with better corking material.” With Allen more involved in his studies and Maria no longer able to make trips to the ocean front Stella had been chosen as one of the faelom to travel to the ocean front regularly and bring back news or help with supplies. She always worried about Allen whenever she left but was also happy whenever she came home and her baby was fine. It really helped her that Pera was often with Allen.

Mirin, “ We knew some incidents would happen when building such a large ship for the first time. I'm certain that they'll have the problems resolved before long.”

Alexa, “Don't we have any claimed that use to be a captain or at least a sailor? I know Kersara has brought people back from the waterfront from time to time.” Alexa looked around for a moment. Given the number of keepers in the room she felt certain that one of them would have an answer to her question. She heard some hushed conversations before someone responded.

Alora, “I believe that there is one currently working in the former laboratory. He wasn't a captain. His name is Daniel and he knows quite a lot about ships. We could ask him to move to the ocean front and help with our ship building efforts as well as selling. It might also be a good idea to know what process to use while docking at a strange port. After all no one is going to really know what our intentions are.”

Stella, “Okay. I just hope he's willing to cooperate. A lot of those former claimed stayed with us in order to develop their knowledge. I'm not sure if he's going to appreciate a side job.”

Flora, “Well if he needs more of a reason I'm sure we could compensate him somehow. Perhaps we could allow him to go further with his education or provide him with some goods for whenever he decides to leave. That or if he stays we could do something to make him more comfortable.”

Joseph, “I believe you're going to have to come up with monetary system before long.” Joseph felt somewhat strange when everyone suddenly looked at him. The faelom had a society based on rank, position and contribution. You weren't paid for your labor or efforts but you were rewarded for it. He could understand why the notion of a money system would be strange to them. As they began to trade more with others though a monetary system would smooth things out a great deal. He wasn't certain what they would base that system on though given how they tended to treat rare metals.

Flora, “Perhaps but that is something to talk about at a later date.”

What would the faelom use for money? They had a very limited supply of rare metals but an abundance of extremely valuable but perishable goods. They wouldn't want to relegate something they actually use to the status of money either. He didn't mind that Flora returned their attention to the ships. Joseph didn't know anything about ship building himself so he took this time to think about what the sisters could use as money. One thing he did consider was a simple promissory note. Moneys influence was determined in large part by confidence in the system that made it after all. Once the outside world knew how powerful the faelom were as a society and how important honesty was to them their money even if just promissory notes could have great influence.

Stella, “Yes they used corking material. They simply didn't use enough or didn't pack it tightly enough to keep the water from pushing through. I actually wondered why they didn't just use magic to join the wood together into one solid structure. After all. Not having any gaps between the wood would be better for the ship then filling then with something.” Stella had found the entire ship building process rather strange in truth. She understood the need for a large ship. They needed to be able to carry a lot of goods and the ship needed to be large enough to combat high waves. The site of the ship taking form had still been strange to her.

Mina, “So what are they doing with the ship that sunk?”

Stella, “They're trying some new corking materials and techniques.”

“Why don't they just use magic?”

“Well from what I was told. First you make the ship able to endure traveling on the ocean without the use of magic. Then whenever you actually use magic to reinforce the structure and keep out the water you can be truly certain that it is safe.”

Several sisters gave quick nods as they noted the wisdom of the words. There was even several murmurs of agreement amongst them. If there was one thing that the sisters understood it was the need for safety. They were having enough trouble with the notion of their brothers and mates traveling to other nations with extremely limited protection. The fact that they couldn't see what was beneath the ocean waves didn't help matters either. Typically a faelom could be rather confident she could take down any one creature on land. In the ocean that confidence weakened a bit.

Flora, “Did they say when they would be ready to try selling the ship again?”

“No. If we're going to send someone to help them I believe we should do it as soon as possible just the same. After all. I imagine they would be upset if we sent someone and they arrived just in time to tell them the remarkably time consuming repairs they've made were done wrong.”

***********************************************************************************

It surprised Dan whenever he entered the work area to find Joseph setting at his table. That wasn't unusual. There was no certain way to say who was going to arrive first. What was odd was that he seemed to be sulking about something. This was made even more strange given the attention that Maria had given him just a few days earlier. “Joseph what's wrong?”

“Hey Dan. It isn't anything much. I told Maria about my plan for a monetary system for the faelom or I started to. She told me that I really need to focus on my current ten year project and shouldn't be side tracked by issues others can handle. We had a bit of a disagreement over if I was just offering some advice or not.”

Did he really want to talk about this? Probably not. Dan knew what Joseph was going through. He had been side tracked by little problems while ignoring the bigger one a few times in his life. With Joseph's drive to fix things he considered an issue though it could be even more troubling. Dan actually agreed with Maria. If Joseph let himself be distracted by every little issue that managed to sneak up on them there was no way he could finish his current project. “I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. That's something that the faelom or some of the lower ranked brothers should be able to handle without any trouble at all. If you really want to help out I would just write down my ideas and give it to one of the keepers that is interested in the problem.”

“But Dan it could help with our project as well. The more smoothly the economy is running the easier it is to acquire goods. It might be a bit of a distraction in the beginning but I'm sure that it would speed things up in the long run.”

Oh no ran through Dan's mind almost immediately. Joseph was upset that Maria had told him to ignore a problem and now he was hunting for someone to agree with him. Likely he didn't even realize how willing he was to argue the issue. “I don't believe so Joseph. If we had trouble gathering resources that might be the case but with our recent trades and the resources of the forest that just isn't the case. That's especially true whenever I consider the help the protectors give us. I bet if I were to ask for a device to isolate the mystic energies produced by a person naturally and those energies in the environment the protectors would have it to us in a moment.”

Naidra, “Are you talking about isolating small samples or large ones?”

Both men seemed to give a slight jump as Naidra entered the room. It as Dan who spoke though. “You really have such a device?”

“We have more then one. The energy produced by yourself is far easier for you to control. So for projects that required very fine control many Luvarians liked to filter out the energy from the environment to avoid random power spikes or drops. Actually, as you're finishing Azon's work I believe you'll want to spend such time with such equipment. He did believe fine control was important.”

Instead of responding to Naidra's comment Dan looked back towards Joseph. “See? We have no trouble gaining access to materials. Sure it's always nice if things run smoother but we need to make sure being side tracked is worth it.”

Joseph, “Naidra I doubt you just came in here to give Dan more ammunition. What brings you by?”

Now Naidra gave Joseph a wide grin. “Well I am rather board so actually I might do just that. We once met the needs of this entire fortress filled with Luvarians working. The current demand leaves us with a little too much free time. Dan I came by to tell you that your time as an apprentice to Joseph is over.”

Dan, “Huh?”

A slight chuckle escaped Naidra as she looked at Dan. “Come now Dan. Joseph is a Luvarian but he's a low ranking one. If they were higher ranking Luvarians in the building you would have either been given status as a Luvarian by now or apprenticed to one of them at least. As you were currently working on finishing Azon's work the citadel and by the citadel I do not mean just the protectors has decided that you are his apprentice now despite his being dead. Joseph as the Luvarian that has taken up his cause you get some benefits as well. This includes freer access to his materials.”

Dan was actually rather surprised by this news and couldn't help but look at Joseph. He seemed quite surprised as well. There was one thing that Dan had to worry about first though. “What about Ridon?”

“Ridon may be assisting you but he's currently focused more on his own project. Don't worry about him. Alaina is giving him all the encouragement to reach full Luvarian status that he needs.” Naidra gave both men a rather large grin. Alaina knew of the conversation and had responded quite positively to the comment as well. She had fond memories of Azon from the her that lived before. However she had her own hopes for Ridon that didn't involve him being an apprentice to someone else. He was making good progress as far as the protectors could tell.

Dan, “Now hold on. How am I suppose to be an apprentice to someone that's dead? Sure I'm studying his research and trying to finish his project but that doesn't mean he's around to teach me.”

Naidra gave a slight nod. “That is true he isn't here to teach you. It's a shame he's well past the ability to contact using necromancy. That said we retain the memories of everything that he did while here. I regret to say that we don't believe this is going to accelerate your progress but they are some rewards to it. Joseph, Dan would either of you be interest in some life extending treatments?”

The forest society had life extending magic and potions. Both Joseph and Dan had began using them long ago. After all. The sooner you began using such items the better the result. Effectively every brother was expected to take advantage of such items in hopes of matching the life spans of there very long lived mates. There was no question in either of their minds that what the protectors were offering was a bit different then what the others could be offered. Joseph was the one that decided on his question first. “Just what kind of life extension are you talking about?”

To this question Naidra gave a slight shrug. “Well for now it would just be basic necromancy. We know and can perform some treatments that slow the process by which your body loses vitality. Your cells handle the passing of time better is a simple way to put it.  We're aware of the treatment you already receive as an apprentice but this is a little more advanced. Effectively you are considered worth expending some worth while resources on to keep you around longer.”

Joseph, “Hey! Why wasn't I offered this treatment once I became ranked as a Luvarian?”

“We did offer you some life extension.”

“Yes but not like this.”

“They are perks to continuing the work of a higher ranked Luvarian. It's one of the main reasons apprentices would compete not to just become a Luvarian but to become the apprentice of a well renowned Luvarian. Technically neither of you would be given this treatment but due to the work you've chosen to continue rather then your own projects and the change of status that has brought some perks are opening up.”

Dan, “So does this do anything else?”

“Yes. It improves your odds of survival in certain conditions. A sword through the heart for example isn't nearly as fatal once you've undergone the intended process.” Upon noting the way the two men were looking at her Naidra couldn't help but cross her arms. They looked shocked and uncertain. “The magic provides an additional safe guard against behavior that doesn't support life. Think of how a necromancer can keep their blood from flowing out of them even when cut open. This magic acts like a invisible layer of very difficult to damage flesh that keeps things flowing properly. Wait a minute. Are you two really that surprised that the Luvarians would need such magic?”

Joseph, “Kind of. They seemed quite in control.”

A groan escaped Naidra as she shook her head. “The reason they were so often in control is they had spells like this. At times when you're working on a new construct things don't go quite as planned and someone ends up with a claw or an entire limb through their chest. Maybe the construct was too aggressive or perhaps it simply didn't fully understand what was happening but accidents happened. The more powerful being often the bigger the accident so you need as much accident forgiveness as possible.” It felt rather strange to Naidra to be explaining this simple lesson of being a Luvarian. Given how Mirin had been injured twice in the process of his research with the new energy system it should be obvious.

For a moment neither of the men said anything. Being made more resistant to being killed could have benefits. Neither of them wanted to leave their mates earlier then they had to even through death after all. They were some concerns though and Dan voiced his. “What happens when we actually die?”

“Well the magic does make it easier for you to be raised as one of the undead and often insures you'll be quite a bit more powerful then you would be if you weren't prepared in advance. It does not however do anything to make it easier for a necromancer to bind you to their will. If anything it makes such things harder.”

Joseph, “And you're sure you can't provide this for Ridon or all the brothers?”

Naidra bit down on her lower lip for a moment and found herself accessing the memories of the other protectors. She needed to know how much of the required compounds they had in stock and how quickly they could make or acquire more. She knew Joseph and Dan would be a bit worried but it took her several seconds of searching in order to come up with the best answer she could. “In fifteen years.”

It felt like Joseph had been struck by an extremely powerful burst of wind. He had expected a no. A yes would have been surprising. However, a time schedule was completely shocking to him. “Why fifteen years?”

“It's not a simple spell Joseph. There is a relatively small number of you compared to the past. We could comfortable produce enough of the compound to treat all the current apprentices in fifteen years. That's actually quite a bit faster then I believed it would be. Now as for your next question of will we do it the answer is no but if you would like we're willing to bring up the issue of treating everyone who achieves the rank of full Luvarian. Given the relative small number of apprentices we have available I'm certain that an agreement will be reached that every current Luvarian is too valuable to risk losing.”

Dan, “Talk with who?”

“Well normally this would be sent up the chain of command but given that chain is mostly missing it would be.” For a moment Naidra went silent once again. This was a strange question. It wasn't unheard of to extend special benefits to lower ranking Luvarians during certain events. “The recognized Faelom, ourselves, the Luvarians and recognized apprentices, the citadel and the heart of the forest.”

Dan, “You mean we get in a say in how the citadel works?”

“If enough of you achieve Luvarian status or high enough status you can change the rules we operate by. To an extent. That kill infernal beings and those who deal with them on site order is pretty well in there.” As she spoke Naidra tapped her head. Just thinking of the order seemed to awaken something within her. Something that began to look around as if suspecting that the simple mention of such instruction might mean there was an infernal being near by. She actually felt somewhat dizzy whenever the awakened thing was made to relax and gave her head a slight shake. “Yes that is a very powerful command.”

“I take it that was reinforced by the fall.”

“Yes. I really don't know if anyone or any number of Luvarians could override that command at this point. It was an order at one time but it feels like it's been more hardwired into our being at this point. Believe me there are not many orders that fall into that category.” The order to kill an infernal being was given by the highest ranking Luvarians of their time, had been reinforced by personal experience and great emotional pain. It was a pain that went beyond the usual memory connection between lives and still made some of the protectors fill with rage. Naidra suspected at times they were actually feeling the rage of the senior protectors.

Joseph wanted to be with Maria as long as he could be. What Naidra was offering would give him a better chance of that and lower the chance of an accident killing him. “Naidra are there any negative side affects to this treatment?”

“A few sort of. If we give you this life extending treatment other treatments become less viable. There is for example a treatment we could give someone that makes it easier for them to cast restorative magic. For most this isn't a major issue but for some it has been a problem. Do you improve your odds of survival so that you can be certain you'll be there for your allies or do you improve your healing so that you're certain you can help them? As neither of you are trained in healing magic I don't see why this should be a problem for you.”

Dan, “Is it reversible?”

“Yes it is but we really do not like reversing the procedure. Like I mentioned earlier this does involve the use of certain resources that we do have to be mindful of the use of. If either of you were learning healing magic we probably wouldn't be offering you the treatment at this point. Besides both of you have a very good idea of how powerful of a healer you would have to be in order to help a faelom.” Some of the protectors didn't like that Dan had asked about reversing the process. This wasn't the type of thinking they liked to hear whenever offering such treatments especially to someone who wouldn't normally be given it at the moment. Surprisingly Lestel did a lot to shut up the more negative protectors as Naidra felt her consciousness flare for a moment. A portion of Lestel's memories pushed forward reminding the other protectors of their current situation and how rare of an opportunity these two presented. It was well worth the risk. Lestel always did tend to know when it was time to add to the pot.

Naidra had a good point about them not being mages trained in healing. They weren't even mages. “Hey does that mean that it would tend to make necromancy stronger?”

Naidra, “Yes it would. If you're wondering about Julia. She's altered her body a little too much for us to use this technique on her. She's missing certain features that this spell really needs to function properly.”As Naidra spoke she chose not to mention all the changes that Julia's body had undergone. The way her veins and arteries had adjusted in order to distribute heat throughout her body and especially the changes to her lunges to help with cooling.

Dan, “That wasn't what was on my mind actually. Naidra I would like to talk to Mina about this first. Is that alright?”

“It would be fine. What about you Joseph? Would you like to speak with Maria first?” The decision seemed rather simple to Naidra. She was actually surprised that Dan or Joseph would be resistant. She wasn't upset despite how simple the choice seemed though. If they wanted to speak with the one they loved about such things before undergoing the procedure that was fine.

“I believe I'll speak with Maria.”

***********************************************************************************

Maria was rather surprised whenever she saw the crystal start to dissolve and then turn into a bright red gas. It seemed to make Joseph and Dan uncomfortable as they gave her a somewhat nervous look despite the protectors assuring them it would be safe. Maria had to speak up. “Lestel you're certain this isn't going to alter their minds in anyway and it won't harm their bodies?”

Spells alone wouldn't be enough to make the needed changes. In order to have the desired affects Joseph and Dan's bodies would need to be saturated with certain materials for the magic to grab onto. These particles would remain part of their flesh and bones for decades to come. In truth the modifications weren't permanent. As the person lived and went through their live shedding cells and replacing bone the particles would eventually be filtered out. It just took such a long time for these changes to happen so the alterations were considered permanent. “I am certain Maria. Joseph and Dan are far from the first to undergo this procedure.”

Maria, “What about their scent? I'm kind of worried for Dan. I mean what happens if Dremera's father comes home smelling different?”

Now Lestel gave Maria a large smile. “Mina already asked me about that. Yes their scents are going to change to some extent. They will still smell like themselves but I wouldn't be surprised if you could smell the magic as it were. It would be as if Joseph has drank an alchemical potion recently and you could smell it as it ran through his system and came out in his sweat.”

Maria gave a slight nod. It would be fine if Joseph smelt different. She was glad whenever he asked her about the changes but there was no way she was going to say no. “Are those crystals what make this process so costly?”

“Unfortunately yes. If we could only grow them more easily we could extend the service to others but even here they grow slowly.”

“What are they exactly?”

“You wouldn't recognize their name but. Well let's see how can I put this.” Lestel had to be careful with her wording. She didn't want to risk upsetting Maria. It wouldn't change the current situation but she knew Maria had encouraged Joseph to undergo the treatment and Lestel didn't want her opposing future changes. “I'm sure you're aware of organic stone due to the basilisk in the forest. Have you ever wondered what would happen if such poisons were used on one of the undead? They are after all already beings that move despite not being alive.”

“So it's undead that have been turned to stone?”

“Not quite but it is related. You can't make those crystals with just any undead after all and we don't use basilisk. As dangerous as they are venom from a gorgon is preferable for such processes.”

“So you have access to gorgon venom?”

“Yes but we're not using it. Our supply is very limited as well we have no gorgons to trade with. Oh on that. If you could find some gorgons and begin trading with them we would really appreciate that. We're simulating certain things for this. The blood could be compared to what you would find within a vampire or certain similar undead while it is treated with simulated gorgon venom. We process it here and refine it and this is the end result. Now like I said we don't actually have a supply of gorgon venom we can replenish readily and we don't have any vampires detained here. We do have certain items that can create things similar to this.”

“I see but if you did have access to such things would you have used them instead?” Maria didn't like the idea that Joseph was going through a second hand treatment because the protectors didn't want to use the good stuff. If that was the case she would be far more suspect of anything they offered in the future. It seemed Lestel had picked up on the intention of the answer.

“Maybe and I am being honest about that. It all depends on the power of the blood and the venom. What we are using now is truly very high quality Maria. You would find few vampires that could have more powerful blood then the simulated material we're using I assure you.”

“Should we look for one just the same?”

A sharp chuckle escaped Lestel whenever Maria gave her a large grin. “By all means! We have a pen meant for holding such creatures.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes.”

***********************************************************************************

“Stop kidding me Mira!” Maria couldn't help but grin despite her words as her sister poked her in the stomach. Mira had finished with her responsibilities for the time being and didn't feel like taking on any side projects. Instead she'd come to visit her sister. It felt somewhat awkward for Maria as she once again found herself looking up at Mira but it wasn't as bad as she expected it to be. “So you're planning to stop growing half a meter before you outgrow the citadel.”

“Yeah. I like being able to come here but I'm not that interested in living here.” Mira had been surprised by Maria's decision. She had even put some deep thought and time into if she wanted to follow the same path as her. She had decided against the decision. Part of Mira imagined living on the edge of the forest as a massive guardian. The thought of being able to hold an apprentice in her hand sent a tingle up her spine and made her more then a little hot. Then there was the notion of being truly free of her hunger. That is if she grew to such a massive size. She had seen some odd behavior amongst the other faelom recently. “Hey sis it has been a while since you last went out hasn't it?”

“Yes!” A delighted laugh escaped Maria as she noted a surprised look on Mira's face. Maria couldn't help the energy she put into her voice though. She had grown so used to running around the forest and hunting as she willed that she hadn't realized how much she would miss it. She wasn't willing to put her son in danger just so she could go release some predatory energy but she wanted to at times. “I haven't sunk my claws into prey in such a long time. All my training is helping to keep me relaxed but you know at times I really wish I could go out. I was a little worried that I might start having predatory drives like Mina did when she became pregnant. The need to establish a domain.”

“You mean you haven't been feeling the need to establish territory?”

To this Maria shook her head. “No. Which is rather surprising really. I heard stories about how Stella felt the need to establish her domain when she became pregnant with Allen. I guess I take after mom in that I don't feel the need to show everyone who is boss.”

For a moment Mira just looked around at the citadel itself. “Are you sure that it's do to that and not do to your location? I mean. This is pretty much as safe as it gets for a new born faelom or a new brother.”

“Well that is true. It may be the protectors themselves. So what were you going to say to me?”

“Oh yeah! Well some of my guardian friends have been speaking to me. They've been talking about the rate at which some of our hunger has been declining and well the notion that some sisters may end their hunger before others. What they're really focused on is the fact that the keepers and matrons don't seem to be experiencing this same decline. I mean. Have you spoken to Fera or Sora in a while?”

Now Maria set up. She actually found herself growing a little concerned. “Well I've seen Fera around the citadel practicing with the larger glyph. Sora comes by every morning to spend some time with Mirin and every evening. She's put on some extra height so has Fera. Why what are the guardians talking about?”

“Well some of them are starting to think that those sisters who can't satisfy their hunger even at matron size should be asked to leave the forest. I don't mean just live away from the main village either. I mean leave the forest.” It was fairly clear to Mira that this had Maria worried.

“What! That's ridiculous. If we spread out there would still be plenty of room for us. Besides many of those larger faelom are our top contributors in terms of resources, protection and even reform. I've heard stories about how Kersara has began to add on the centimeters since I last saw her.”

“She has. Believe me she has.” It wasn't surprising to Mira that Maria was upset. There was other things to consider to. “It doesn't just stop there. They're also talking about how there is no way they could pass such a decision because it's the keepers and those that are like them that have the most authority.”

Maria felt her body twitch a bit. It was true. She was a keeper now and there was no way she would support such a plan. Even if she was sacrificing so she wouldn't grow like that. “Mira what is going on? You make it sound like that as our hunger is fading we're starting to turn on one another. We put all these systems in place to insure that we would never have to undergo the sleep in mass and leave the forest unguarded.”

“Yes but those systems are losing their purpose. Apparently other issues that our need for food had covered up are beginning to come to the surface. I've heard talk about approaching some keepers that might support the idea. As for spreading out. I guess they believe that introducing a large predator into different environments would change them. If it happened at several locations it would end up changing the entire forest. Plus there is the issue with travel.”

“I see. So the major theme of their argument is where once we had a food allowance now we have a space allowance. Some faelom are simply too big to fit within that allowance and.” Maria took in a deep breath. “They kind of have a point don't they? I don't like the idea of telling one of our sisters that she has to choose between completely ending her hunger or staying within the forest but well. How do we know that is going to happen though? How many faelom are really going to end up that massive?”

To this Mira gave a shrug. “I don't know. It's something they're scared of and talking about and as you said it yourself they have a point. Unlike past issues though they're not certain how to bring it up so they're started going around talking to other faelom in secret and well that includes me.”

“Why you?”

“Hey I've a pretty long list of friends.” Mira gave her sister a large grin. Being Flora's daughter helped with a lot of things and some even saw Mira as a younger version of her mother. Those faelom that weren't comfortable going to an elder faelom for advice would often come to her. She kept their secrets. This was one of the very rare times she spoke of what she'd heard with anyone and that was only because she felt it was important and wasn't certain how to handle it herself.

“So who's side are you on?”

“It doesn't seem fair to me. We spend thousands of years trying to find ways to end our hunger. Then whenever we finally manage to do so we find out we might outgrow our home or end up altering it in ways we never intended to. So suddenly we need to put a height cap upon our sisters or tell them they're going to have to leave the forest. At least until Dan and Joseph manage to finish their work. Where would they go though? If they go too far from the forest they would end up in a desperate situation and may have to sleep. They could begin setting up settlements on the edge of the forest but that would mean cutting into the surrounding territory. We would becoming an invading force.”

“What about Zarena's idea?”

“I thought of that to but do you really believe we can extend the shoreline fast enough? What kind of consequences might that end up having as well?” A long sigh escaped Mira as she realized why she'd come to her big sister about this problem. She wasn't sure where she stood on the issue. A bunch of sisters four or six times the size of a matron walking around the forest pounding it flat wasn't a good thing. Yet when an end to their hunger was so close telling them they would either have to leave or keep their hunger wasn't easy either.

For a moment Maria wasn't certain how to answer. She knew this was a project for Zarena and she was having to put quite a bit of time into it. Apparently building her home so that the ocean wouldn't reclaim it was proving to be quite a task. She enjoyed the effort given her situation but what about faelom that weren't as large as Zarena and couldn't search the ocean as easily? There smaller size might help them as well as they wouldn't require as large of a section of land to work with yet they unlike Zarena might want some of the smaller comforts of home. “This situation really stinks. Well okay first we need to find out how large a faelom could be and comfortably move around the forest without damaging the ecosystem. Obviously Zarena is too large.”

For a moment Mira wasn't certain what to say. After a moment of silence she couldn't help but giggle. “You sounded like Joseph just then.” Once again Mira was made to chuckle as a shocked expression flashed onto Maria's face.

***********************************************************************************

“Well it really depends on how she moved about the forest. Obviously the days of you playing in the trees are over with. Soon that will be a fun game that only your children are allowed to enjoy.” Lestel had heard Maria and Mira's conversation well in advance of them coming to her. She had chosen to begin speaking before they could begin asking their questions even as she busied herself preparing some equipment for Joseph, Dan and Ridon. They had planned to prepare the equipment themselves but it had been a long time since she'd actually allowed that to happen. “If she would limit herself to walking and keep a close eye on her environment then naturally she would do better. I would also recommend that she stick to paths that are the most difficult to travel.”

Mira, “So that she would upset the least wild life?”

“That is correct. You all have a very good fill for how the forest works so you should be able to avoid things like hidden eggs. I have to say though it also depends on what section of the forest you're in. The center and the east could handle travel far more easily then the west could do to the greater density of the wild life in the region. Now another issue is of course living accommodations. Well that's not the question we're on right now. If you limited yourself to the eastern sections of the forest and the center sizes of twenty to twenty five meters should be acceptable.”

Maria, “That would cover a lot of the faelom wouldn't it?”

“Yes quite a large percentage of you would be able to remain in the forest and end your hunger at that size. Well travel in the forest. How did that happen?” As she spoke Lestel took a moment to inspect one of the beakers she was holding. She could see a tiny fracture that she didn't remember being there before or happening. With the way the protectors watched the citadel it was surprising whenever something was damaged without them knowing how it happened. Likely it was due to internal stresses that cracked the glass at some later point. In any case the beaker would have to be repaired before it could be used and Lestel set it aside before retrieving a replacement.

Maria, “That's pretty large Mira. Maybe if we can show the other sisters that most of them don't have to worry about being driven out of the forest it will help them to relax.”

To this Mira gave a nod. She was actually glad to hear that the forest could handle such large faelom traveling around it. At least it could so long as they stuck to certain regions and used certain paths and guidelines. “That was just traveling in the forest. What about living though?” Lestel do the protectors have any advice on this? I mean did the Luvarians plan for such issues?”

Chapter 46 by happiest_in_shadows

“Well. The Luvarians really liked to keep you close at hand to be honest. Repairing the forest from time to time in order to make sure you were close was well worth the price in their minds. I tended to agree with them. Really if they had a Zarena back in their time they'd probably want her living right next to the citadel. I understand you don't have that choice.”

“No. So what about building along the ocean front like we were talking before?” Mira's question was neither address towards Lestel or Maria. She would be quite happy if either one of them answered. Maria had seen enough of the happenings at the waterfront to have a good idea of how it would function.

Maria, “Well what about a few of them live around the trade areas? We've been talking about assigning faelom in order to protect them after all. The best guardian would be those that live there. I agree that the waterfront is another good idea especially with the road Zarena is making or. You know we're constantly talking about not invading the territory around our forest but what about buying it?”

Lestel, “You may not have to buy it depending on if you want to make use of some old laws. Maria if you don't mind go to the cabinet on the far ride of the room and bring me some of the bright green mortars. The Luvarians actually owned more land around the forest then the size of the forest revealed. Naturally the people they bought the land from died long ago and it may be hard to convince those who live there to accept you as the lands rightful owner. Well hard to convince them depending on the methods you use.”

Mira, “They didn't spread the forest to all the land they bought?”

Lestel, “Planned expansions that never came about.”

***********************************************************************************

“How are you feeling Dan?” Joseph had avoided mentioning it to Maria but after the treatment he had felt a bit off. It wasn't surprising given the the changes his body had undergone but he knew she would worry. Now that he didn't have to worry about her hearing their conversation he wanted to see how Dan was doing.

It actually relieved Dan a bit when Joseph asked that question. He had a good idea of what he was asking about. “Well I've been sleeping less lately.”

To this Joseph gave a nod. “So have I. I know that Naidra said that if we were cut we would lose less blood but I didn't stop to think about what that would mean for minor injuries as well. I haven't been able to get myself to eat like I used to either. Maria made me my usual breakfast and I had to will down the last few bites.” It was strange. Eating less and needing less sleep was a good thing. However, to have such side affects and not be prepared for them had been somewhat off putting to Joseph. He was worried about what other changes they might have overlooked in the fine print.

“Well Naidra did say that these changes wouldn't harm us. She didn't say they wouldn't benefit us in ways we didn't expect.”

“Has Mina noticed the changes in you?”

“She noticed me waking up earlier then normal and my additional stamina during sex. I'm going to guess that Maria noticed such changes in you as well. The first time I noticed how much sooner I was waking up I tried to lay there and pretend to be asleep. Mina told me that I might as well give up on pretending to be asleep.”

“Yeah. Well I didn't even try to pretend. Maria was actually the one that asked me if I thought this reduced dependency on sleep was due to the alterations. Not that we had a lot done to us. We had our flesh and bone imbued with some mystic elements. It's not as if the design of our body has been changed we just have some new nutrients you might say. Nutrients that require decades if not longer to be removed from our systems unless it is done intentionally.” Joseph took in a deep breath as he looked at his own skin. The protectors had explained to them before hand what would happen. He had thought he would be fine with it but part of him felt strange to think they were tiny crystals hidden inside his flesh.

“Well you heard about this happening with other people. Someone undergoes an alchemical procedure to strengthen their body thinking that they'll be fine with it. Later though they feel a disconnect from their old life as the little details begin to be taking into account. This is just the adjustment period we're undergoing.” After a moment of silence Dan took in a deep breath. He wanted to change the subject for the time being. “Have you spoken to Maria about a new monetary system again?”

Joseph was actually surprised Dan would bring the subject up. Originally he seemed to agree with Maria that it was something that should be left to others. Likely he still thought as much but that wasn't what he wanted to know. “Well she hasn't mentioned it since I brought it up to you. I don't believe it's a conversation she wants to have again. I took some time to write up some ideas on the issue and I plan on bringing it up to the brothers whenever we next meet.”

“Do you plan on heading the development of a monetary system?”

“No! I'm pretty sure that would upset Maria.” A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he imagined how Maria would respond if he told her he was taking time away from his current project to work on a currency system. He wasn't certain she would have anything to say about it but he wouldn't be surprise if he received a cold shoulder because of it. After having years to become used to sleeping on Maria it actually felt very strange and even a little wrong to Joseph whenever he was forced to sleep on a bed that wasn't self heating.

It was impossible for Dan to keep from laughing at the shock in Joseph's voice. He truly sounded like he was worried about upsetting Maria and on some level Dan believed he was. It wasn't true fear but he didn't like to upset his lady anymore then Dan wanted to upset Mina. “Well I'm glad you're keeping focused. I'm going to need you here with me if I'm going to finish this project on schedule.”

“Any chance the protectors put us through this treatment knowing we would need less sleep so we would have more time to devote to our work?”

“I doubt that. I like to imagine they believed it'd help us spend more time with our mates and children. You have one on the way as well after all and that would cut into our work schedule. Even with the extra hours kids can be quite a handful.” Dan was glad that Dremera was so well behaved at this point. At least she was well behaved when he was around according to Mina. Whenever she didn't have her daddy to focus her attention on she apparently became a bit rowdy.

Joseph was going to be a father. He had plenty of time to consider that and thought of it often. Dan's comment still brought his mind back to that fact and he took in a deep breath. Maria was already preparing for Ethan's arrival in many ways. She had made a very tough decision about her eating habits and had done a lot to prepare a room for him. It left Joseph feeling a little awkward at time as he doubted their son would be coming anytime soon. The fact that a faelom didn't have the same issues with carrying a child that a human did made the situation seem a little stranger as well. The only thing that told him Maria had to worry about their child was the way she had been moving at human speeds for several months now.”I don't know what I'm going to do once Ethan is born. Maria and I talk about it and play games but I'm still not sure.”

“Are you worried about if you're going to be a good dad or not?”

“That is one of the things I worry about. At least I don't have to worry about my son taking one of my hands off.”

Dan gave a chuckle and looked at his hand. “Yeah but I don't have to worry about my little girl falling and hurting herself. Well at least your son won't be as destructive as my daughter. How is Maria handling with the situation with the protectors?”

“I believe the time she's spent with them has helped her trust them. I doubt she'll have any issues with letting them baby set Ethan. I'm wondering about his upbringing as well. What his first learned language should be and the type of magic. I spoke to the protectors about it but they were reluctant to talk about such things.”

“Well you know they begin to become weary whenever it comes to what to educate someone on. Personally if I ever have a son I'm going to begin with general use of magic. I'm sure the Luvarians had children and had to raise them. Perhaps they even had some toys that could begin teaching a child how to use magic early on.”

“You mean like a toddlers magic ring?”

“Perhaps. Let's find out.”

***********************************************************************************

It had been a long time since Alaina had last looked inside of this chest. It had been a long time since any protector had opened it up. The fact that the lock squeaked a little spoke of that. Still the contents inside were in fine condition and she pulled out a toddlers bracelet. “Here is a popular one.” Alaina placed the very tip of her finger within the bracelet and fed it just a little bit of energy. A small orb of light jumped from the toy and began to float around the room. “It's less dancing lights and more floating light but it can give some early practice in the most basic forms of channeling magic. Let's see what else do we have here. Oh it has been a while. Okay listen to this doll sing.” Each one of the toys had been designed to respond readily to the slightest push of mystic energy with something that would be rewarding to a young child and thus encourage frequent use. Alaina felt a slight buzz of memory as she listened to the song.

Joseph, “So any kid can use these?”

Alaina, “Unfortunately no.” Alaina placed the doll back within the chest though she didn't close it. “The toys are meant to encourage a child's mystic development but they have to have a certain level of talent to even begin using them. Not that you can't help a child along in their development.”

Joseph had been quite a bit older when he had began learning magic. His alchemy had began a bit sooner then that thanks to his mother having some basic knowledge and their local healer. Joseph had picked up what he could and that had helped him to begin his career. The idea of someone beginning their studies as a toddler or perhaps earlier was quite surprising. “How safe is this Alaina?”

“For a child to harm themselves at this early of an age they would have to be quite exceptional. Well they would be exceptional enough that we would notice and take extra steps to insure their safety. We have some clothing that restrict the use of magic for those children that are simply too gifted in magic for their age. Actually we've never had a child harm themselves here. The other protectors and I like to believe that we played a large part in that.” Alaina couldn't help but smile openly as she picked up a rattle and lightly shook it in her fingers. Her memory drifted back to a few of the rattles previous owners and what they grew up to become. “This rattle encourages wellness.”

Dan, “How so?”

“It helps smooth the operation of the body. The magic within it does that is. Milk is easier to digest and the body does a better job of handling sickness. Sleep is more restorative though that at times mean the child needed less sleep. We wouldn't wake the parents or the caregiver back in those days but would play with the child ourselves.”

So fearsome killing machine that took care of anything that disrupted the Luvarian's plans and loving care giver. Joseph felt like the differences between the faelom and the protectors were rapidly vanishing. He had to remind himself at times that the protectors were the prototype production model faelom. The only reason they hadn't gone into production was the difficulty in making more of them. “Alaina could you teach  Ethan how to use magic?”

“Oh!” Alaina bit down on her lower lip hard. Teaching someone the basics of channeling magic was hardly a complex subject. It was best done by someone who had a high level of magical mastery which she did but the actual lesson to the student was fairly simple. It was also very rarely dangerous. She wouldn't be teaching Ethan how to cast spells but only the very beginning. It would be enough to let him play with the toys. “Let's wait and see if Ethan needs my assistance. If he does need aid I'm certain that Julia or Nathan would be able to help him.”

Dan, “What about Mirin?”

“His magic is too aggressive for me to recommend him.”

Joseph gave a chuckle. “What about the protectors though? If fine control is necessary then you have truly superb fine control.”

“We really don't like to play mentors after some past events.”

“I believe that you should. Especially after listening to you talk about children and watching how you handle the toys. I understand that you don't always think of human issues and that's a big thing whenever it comes to teaching magic. You need to begin somewhere though and what could be safer then teaching a newborn to enjoy some toys?”

***********************************************************************************

Flora covered her right ear and closed her eyes trying to focus on her sense of hearing. She could hear the inner working of Maria's body and could tell things had changed. Yet she wasn't hearing what she wanted to hear the most. The sound of a second heart. A sigh escaped her as she set up and looked towards her daughter. “I would have never thought there would be too much of you between me and my grandson to hear his heartbeat. For a long time I was even worried that if you became pregnant you wouldn't be able to carry the child safely.”

“Mom I was not that scrawny!” Maria couldn't help the frustration in her voice. She didn't mind that she had been born with a high speed build. She enjoyed her speed after all. It was true though that many worried if a smaller sister would be able to carry a child safely or not. That fear was fading away though as the sisters grew in size. Now even though Maria still had a high speed build her scale made that irrelevant. She did still feel a bit on the slim side whenever compared to her medium build mother or sister and quite thin whenever compared to Mina.

“I know. But it's in my nature to worry about my grandchildren. At least I had better have grandchildren.” As she finished speaking Flora looked to Mira.

Mira, “Hey! It's only natural for the older sister to become pregnant first.”

“Well I suppose.” Flora gave her daughter a chuckle then placed a hand on Maria's stomach. “In truth I'm surprised you're already pregnant. If this keeps up people are going to begin thinking there is something about our family line. Wouldn't that be funny little one? You could have all sorts of faelom throwing themselves at you.”

Maria, “Well they're going to have to wait.” Maria placed her hands on her stomach as well as if to protect her child. The three women began to laugh a few moments later as they relaxed. “I haven't been able to get out much mom given that I pretty much have to walk everywhere. What has been happening?”

Flora, “Well I'm sure your sister has filled in you as far as talk about the growth issue has been going. I don't know what to think about the entire problem. We talked about it before whenever we talked about waking up the other sleepers. You remember talking about expanding the town. We even built the new dining hall and other locations deeper to accommodate future growth. Now all this talk about telling those that can grow beyond ten, fifteen or twenty meters tall they're going to have to leave the forest. That or be relocated to very specific regions of the forest.”

Maria, “Has anyone spoken to our brothers about it yet?”

Mira, “I haven't. I'm not sure what they could do though.”

Maria, “Yeah. So where do you stand on it mom?”

Flora, “Well we can't tolerate the destruction of our home that's true and if too many of us become too large that is a serious concern. I don't like it though. I believe the best thing we can do is purchase some land outside of the forest and set up some living area there. Naturally we'll need to provide a method for faelom to travel to and from the main village.” A sigh escaped Flora and she had to cover her eyes. She was so proud of Maria for remaining her current size for the sake of her son. Yet the thought of how her daughter was going to suffer through years of greater hunger then she had to hurt as well. She hoped that Dan and Joseph would succeed.

Maria, “I know we can't destroy our home. If we start making all sorts of roads through it then the balance is going to be thrown off as well. Telling other sisters that they're going to have to leave because they're too large is hard though. You really believe we should buy some land mom? Who would we even buy it from?”

“I have no idea honey. I mean. My first thought is we should go to whatever human organization controls the region and buy the land. That or buy it through a third party. After all we don't want to frighten them. I'm sure we could trade them some goods in exchange for it. I really don't like the idea of us just stepping out of the forest and saying we own this field or valley or mountain. Yet how do we really know we're buying the land from the right people? I bet the owners of the land around the forest changed somewhat due to that war Joseph left behind. Well it has been a few years since he came to us so perhaps that has all be resolved.”

“Hey mom. What should we do if they offer us the land but they don't want goods? What if they want us to help them fight in their war.” It would have been a lot like the Luvarians of old and Mira knew that. They were often providing constructs for war efforts or protection. There was no way that they were going to begin selling faelom to other nations. Mira couldn't even imagine them selling the distrusted. Yet even if the only worked for a given time period there was no doubt in Mira's mind that it would bring up stories of the Luvarians and how their growth might mean the return of the Luvarians of old. Mira had a strong fondness for the creators of her race but she didn't want a return to all of the old ways. Some of the old ways such as what Zarena brought was fine and welcome but not all of them.

For a moment Flora could feel her head starting to pound but then she crossed her arms and looked at her daughters. “Now why are you two asking me about this? You're both keepers as well.”

Maria, “But mom! Neither of us have the respect that you do. I believe some of the other faelom still have a grudge against me due to my connection to Joseph. I mean. I haven't heard anything but I catch the occasional word and wonder about the wrest of the sentence.”

There was some that were upset with Maria for being allowed to grow beyond her limits thanks to Joseph despite him being the one that provided for her. Her decision not to increase the amount she ate and retain her current size for the sake of her child had actually changed a lot of minds. They were still whispers but few were willing to speak near Flora about her daughters. “Now now. Both of you have very strong voices amongst your fellow keepers and faelom in general. You both have done a lot of good for the community and your works have been well noted. It's important to use those voices once you have them.”

Mira, “We know but come on mom. How do you believe we should go about buying land? I mean if they want us to help them fight in a war or take something do we do it?”

“In all honesty I would prefer if we didn't. We don't want to appear weak we want everyone to know we're strong but we don't want to seem like we're out to conquer. We need more space but we don't want them to be scared of what's going to happen the next time we need more space. Well we may need more space.” 

After a moment Maria gave a slight nod. She still wasn't certain how they should handle the situation though she was hoping to come up with a possible solution. Part of her had hoped that the answer would come from Flora. The fact that one hadn't told her that the situation was a bit uglier then she had believed it was. “Well maybe we should talk to the other faelom about this and see what they believe. I mean maybe more of them will decide to keep their hunger and remain at a smaller size then we expect. After all Joseph is working on a solution.”

After a moment of silence Flora gave a nod. “Yes. I just fear how some are going to respond whenever they're forced to consider such things. Despite all we've done to maintain our forest I believe some will feel it's better to have the forest adapt to us then for us to try to adapt to it. That is such a strange thought.” Flora took in a deep breath. Of course they all knew the dangers of adapting the forest to them. They could end up destroying their home or at least destroying something precious. They had forced population control on numerous beings over the centuries for the sake of protecting the forest and now they would have to do that to themselves though instead of numbers it would be size related.

Mira, “What are you thinking mom?”

“Oh. It just occurred to me that with our low birth rate this is the first time we've had to control the size of our population as it where. At least it's the first time we've had to control it like this. Before it's always been we must control our size to avoid consuming all our resources and being left with nothing. The fear of what would happen to us if we put too many demands on the forest kept us in check. A great many of us still remember that fear. With the life bloom and the glyph though I worry that fear will be removed and some won't be as willing to sacrifice to protect our home.”

“Then perhaps those should be the ones that are asked to leave.”  It actually surprised Mira when the words left her mouth. They were even colder then she expected them to be. The notion that there would be some faelom that would push aside their protective instincts and trample their forest underfoot for their own gain was upsetting to her though. After a moment of thought Mira gave her head a slight shake. “Let's not think the worst of our sisters just yet though.”

Flora smiled at her daughters and nodded. “I'm sure many of them simply haven't thought of this threat. Maria Mira and I will begin speaking with our sisters quietly. We don't want to cause an uproar after all and I don't want anyone mentioning that some are planning on trying to push those that wish to grow larger out. For now we'll simply speak of the need to find a new home for those who wish to exceed a certain size and perhaps new living practices for some of them as well. In the mean time Maria why don't you talk to the protectors and see what kind of living arrangements they would recommend?”

“Sure thing mom. I should mention that the protectors estimated that we could all grow to around twenty meters tall and still remain in the forest so long as we avoided certain regions and used certain travel practices. Actually they said we could grow a little larger then that but I believe we might want a bit of a buffer.”

“That is a bit larger then I would have expected. Thank you that information it should be useful during our talks.” As Flora spoke she couldn't help but think many of the faelom would have realized the truth of the matter. How their bodies represented a danger to their home as they grew larger. The big issue was how many of them chose to ignore the issue.

***********************************************************************************

Maria didn't really know what to think when she realized how quiet it had been over the last few days. She had actually asked Flora and Mira several times if they had been talking to the other faelom. They kept telling her yes. Yet there was no huge uproar or protest. There was no call to arms or to put restrictions on their fellow faelom. She had to remind herself that the faelom who were in the most danger of outgrowing the forest were typically keepers or matrons. These were faelom who were considered the most mature and reasonable amongst their numbers. The fact that she was a keeper herself made Maria wonder about that at times. Still they had been trusted to put the community first before and it seemed like they were doing just that.

Now she was wondering what was going on. Naidra had told her another faelom was looking for her so she had left the restricted area of the citadel. “Hello Nora. What brings you here today?”

Nora gave Maria a large smile. It felt kind of strange to be standing so close to the same size as Maria. Sure they had both been guardians for a long time but Maria had been promoted to keeper some time ago. She also had assistance from Joseph. Yet Maria had chosen to stop growing for the sake of her child. It had impressed Nora more then she let on. Nora for her part had continued to train with the glyph and make use of being allowed to eat greater amounts of food. Thanks to that she was almost the same height as Maria despite being guardian ranked. “Hey Maria there is something I wanted to talk to you about. Could we go somewhere private?”

“How about we go to the library? It's nice and quiet in there and was designed so sound wouldn't travel well through its shelves.”

“Sure.” As she began to follow Maria Nora once again compared their heights. She had to remind herself this was a keeper she was looking at. It concerned her. Keepers were suppose to be larger and stronger then other faelom to insure they could maintain order. What would happen though if the best and most even tempered amongst them chose to restrict their size? Leaving the greater power in the more ill tempered and less reasonable of their number didn't seem like a good idea to Nora. It was a concern that was weighing more and more heavily on her mind with each passing day. As they entered the library and found a few seats Nora was ready to let the flood gates open.

“Okay. What did you want to talk to me about.”

“It's. Well it's about the talk when it comes to restricting our sizes. Maria I've had a keeper come down on me in the past. It's only happened a few times but honestly I believe it was necessary. Now I'm worried about what would have happened if the keeper hadn't been able to restrain me so easily. I really could have hurt someone in that moment and I know I'm not the only sister this has happened to. The keepers weren't the largest among us just because of what they'd done but because we needed someone that could maintain order and keep their cool. Now with all these talks about size restrictions or having those faelom who grow too large leave the forest I'm worried.”

That was another complication. Those faelom trusted to maintain order were often the largest and strongest amongst their number. How was that going to work whenever the largest and strongest were expected to live on the outer edge of the forest? Maria could think of at least one answer. “Well then perhaps we should not have all of them leave the forest. A few of them could continue to live in the central village in order to maintain order. Though I imagine actually choosing what keepers would remain would be difficult.”

After a moment of silence Nora gave a nod. “Well it's not like having Zarena in the village was a bad thing. I guess she's a bit too big to stay for the long term but a few larger sisters should work. That still leaves us with a very small number of keepers in relationship to the number of guardians though. One keeper can only keep an eye on so much after all and well the larger the guardians are the more urgent breaking up any fights would become.” A sigh escaped Nora as she placed a hand on her forehead. “It's not just that though! Combat training has become mandatory for all of us now. Maria I don't know what we're going to do.”

Was this how her mother felt? Was this how most keepers felt? The keepers were suppose to be wise and capable of offering council not just enforce the rules. Maria sure didn't feel wise at the moment. She felt lost, confused and desperately trying to think of a solution. At least she was able to think faster then other faelom which meant the time between her brain locking up and an actual response was greatly reduced. “Nora the keepers are still going to be here even if we have to settle on the outer edges of the forest. I understand what you're saying about the need to maintain order but perhaps we're going to have to put more responsibility on all the sisters rather then expecting a few keepers to constantly maintain order.”

Nora was made to shiver for a moment. “That actually sounds scary Maria. I don't know what would have happened if a keeper hadn't been there to calm me down. Then knowing that I have an even more severe punishment waiting for me after the event is pretty frightening.”

“It's part of growing up and developing into a better person. It may not be as bad as your imagining though. I'm certain that my sister or mother have spoken to you by now.”

“Yeah. It was Mira that got me thinking about the size limit but I don't believe I'm one of those faelom Maria. Whenever I spoke to some of the keepers and how they feel about their hunger these days it just seems like mine is fading faster.”

“So you're not worried about outgrowing the village. You're worried about the loss of order that the keepers bring.”

“Terrified is more like it! Even if nearly all the keepers were to agree not to grow beyond what the forest can handle they wouldn't be large enough to maintain order like they used to.” Nora couldn't help but chuckle. Most guardians meant well and were well behaved most of the time but of course they were slip ups. In those cases they were often glad to have a keeper there to break things up before they wrecked someone's shop or worse yet harmed a brother that happened to be near by. Naturally damaging someone's shop had the very real risk of drawing other faelom into the fight.

Reaching out Maria placed a hand on Nora's shoulder. “We're a long way off from growing that large even now. I mean how many of the guardians have reached the size of last years keepers?”

“Well none.”

“How many are really close?”

“Well there is me and a few others but only a very small number.”

“That's right and Dan and Joseph are working on a method by which we may continue to improve and end our hunger without increasing our size. It is a problem but I don't believe it's quite as pressing as you imagine. We have time to talk, plan and find a solution. We can't ignore it but we shouldn't panic and stress ourselves out over it.” Even as she spoke Maria wanted to scream and go beg Joseph, her mother or the protectors for a solution. She knew that Mirin and Nathan were both working on improving the energy yield from the life bloom in their own ways. That was a good thing but it would accelerate other problems.

It felt better speaking to Maria. A notion that made Nora laugh a short while later. “You've come a long way Maria. I remember whenever you were just another guardian like I am. It's kind of strange thinking that you won't be growing anymore.”

“Well they are things that are more important to me then ending my hunger. I don't want Joseph to have to move away from the citadel and I've come to enjoy it here as well. Plus there is our son. You simply can't raise a human child in the wild.” As Maria spoke she placed her left hand over her stomach and glanced down at where she knew her child was. She could sense a presence there now and that brought a wide smile to her face. “I'm afraid it's a decision that many of us are going to have to make.”

“Yeah. Hey Maria if it does come down to a vote what way are you going to do?” Nora felt a little awkward whenever Maria gave a sharp exhale. It was fairly clear that was a question she didn't enjoy being asked. Yet that only made Nora want to know the answer even more. How would Maria respond whenever she had to make the hard choices involving others? She had already taken the hard path whenever it came to her son.

“That is not a pretty question Nora. I am for the preservation of our home. We have looked at the outside world and watched what happens when others change the world without understanding. The outside humans don't exercise any intentional population control and they are constantly spreading trying to consume new resources. We've had to drive them out of our forest several times simply due to their expansionist nature. I won't support any sisters who simply wants to grow and see the forest adapt to them as in that adaptation it may die.”

One thing immediately struck Nora. “You said change without understanding. Why?”

“Well our creators constantly reshaped the world to their liking. Our entire forest is their work after all and so are we. Change can be a good thing but I don't believe we have the knowledge to change the forest to accommodate us and keep it the wonderful garden that it is.” Maria was actually glad to see Nora smiling now. Apparently her words had done a lot to comfort her though Maria hoped that she hadn't given her the wrong idea about anything.

“Yeah. So does that mean you support buying some land?”

“Actually I freely support that idea. Even if our fears don't come to pass we could make use of new territory. Just think of the trading events we're trying to start. It would be so much easier if we actually had a town outside the forest for people to come to whenever they wanted and to feel safe. I'm really not troubled by the notion of some sisters living on the outside of the forest. What has me worried is giving them equal access to what we enjoy. This includes the ability to search for mates among the brothers and socialize with other sisters. We are a community and I don't want to see that sundered into those who live within the forest and those who lived outside of it.”

“So you believe it's alright for faelom to live outside the forest?”

“Well it's working out great with Kersara and the ocean front sisters. It's really working out well if some of the stories about the orcs I've heard are true. Have you been to the ocean front.”

“Yes! I have to say I have spent some time with the orcs and the males have a certain durability to them that is rather attractive. At least they're fun to spend some time with. I don't believe I could call one of them a mate though I prefer our brothers. They're just more.” For a moment Nora went silent as she tried to gather her thoughts. “Well they just tend to be more attentive. Plus I prefer their cleaner habits. When an orc comes back from fishing all day or gutting said fish the first thing on his or her mind doesn't tend to be cleaning up.”

“So they're a bit offensive to the nose?”

“That and the fur. I prefer our tidier brothers but I know a few who like the more wild orcs.”

Maria gave a soft chuckle. That was the story she'd heard several times already. Though in many cases they liked the orcs more then the supposedly delicate brothers. “Our brothers might end up being the ones that regret us spreading out if we keep finding other sources of mates.”

“I would say you're right about that! Perhaps they'll be the ones actively pursuing us more often.”

“Hm well I already have my life long mate. So you girls go ahead and enjoy that but Joseph is plenty for me.”

“You just wait until a bunch of handsome traders come into our village smelling of places we've never been to. “ Nora giggled whenever Maria gave a somewhat annoyed snort. “Yeah you and Joseph have made quite a nice couple. Thanks for the talk Maria. I'll be supporting any attempts we make to buy land outside of the forest though I admit I'm a bit confused. I mean do we just go to the nearest town and say. Hey we would like to buy this land. Where is the land merchant?”

“I have no idea. From the way Joseph talks we need to speak to the person that governs that land but then he said at times even the person who governs the land can't make that decision. The humans at times have these kings who own the land they then let other humans govern that land for them. So we would need to speak to the king if we actually wanted to buy the land but speaking to the king isn't easy normally.”

“Well we could just go ask Zarena to speak to the king.”

“I don't believe that would give the right impression. I mean can you imagine Zarena just pulling the roof off one of their castles and asking to speak with the king? Though from what Joseph said the king is normally easy to spot. You just need to look for the human with a large chunk of gold on his head. Well he said that was likely to be the king.”

“You mean a crown?”

“Yeah! I guess you remember it from some of the library books.”

“The Luvarians mention selling a few special crowns. One of them was suppose to protect the wearer of the crown from attacks made by anyone that looked upon them. The Luvarians were rather surprised whenever a blind man stabbed the king they sold it to.”

“I remember that book!”

***********************************************************************************

Zarena couldn't help but clinch her tail lightly as she looked at the supposedly repaired and fixed ship. Daniel had arrived a few weeks back and began helping them to repair the ship. He had also told them a lot about the dangers of using wood that hadn't been properly aged for both the ship and the barrels. He had told them about a lot of things actually and seemed so knowledgeable that most had taken notes instead of questioning. Kelah had questioned him from time to time though she didn't seem suspicious rather it seemed she wanted to understand what he was doing better. It kind of surprised Zarena given that Kelah was more the lop your head off type of shaman then quiet listener to the wind. “It's about time you found some time away from your work.”

There was a large grin on his face as Nathan approached Zarena. He had arrived a short while ago while traveling with some sisters that had come to deliver some goods and retrieve some fish. He would ask for Zarena to take him back. “Yes it has been a grueling sixteen hours since I last saw you.”

“It's been that long! Wow that's even longer then I thought.” Despite her best efforts Zarena couldn't keep some of her amusement from sinking into her final words as she placed her right hand in front of Nathan. He didn't hesitate to climb onto the tip of her finger but he did stop to remove his shoes. It wasn't necessary but she appreciated the routine. At least she had less sand to remove from her fur afterwords thanks to that. “What brings you here anyway? You've been quite focused on your dryad enhanced life bloom.”

“We're taking a day for her to relax a bit and explore her environment. I left a few of the brothers to insure she remains stable but as far as we can tell she's doing great. She's doing spectacular when compared to the first week after she joined with the life bloom. So how has work on the ship been going?”

“I have no idea. A lot of what Daniel has said sure sounds right. Then again. When we were first began working on the ship we thought what we were doing sounded right then to. I'm hopeful that things are going to work out.” Zarena didn't brother lifting Nathan to her shoulder but rather stopped whenever he was just over her cleavage. With him she preferred to keep him nestled between her breasts rather then riding on her shoulder. He seemed to enjoy it more as well. She didn't even need to tip her hand for him to begin making his way to the edge. “We actually plan on launching the ship again today. We haven't loaded it with anything we just want to see if it sinks or floats under its own weight.”

Zarena had lightly parted her breasts using her left hand. Typically she didn't nestle him too deep between her breasts. She wanted him to be able to look around. Yet she needed to make sure that he wouldn't simply slip free. He was rather confident that he could save himself with a few spells if he did fall but neither of them wanted to take that chance. “Is that why you're staying close by?”

“Yes. I was worried it might offend Daniel but he seemed glad for me to be staying close. He's doing his best but I think he's a bit worried about sailing in a ship built my inexperienced ship makers. Well at least as far as ocean going boats are concerned. Once we're certain the ship isn't going to sink they plan on taking it out for a bit. I'll be following behind. Then if that goes well we'll provision the ship and it'll be taken out for a bit longer.”

To this Nathan gave a nod. “May I go sailing on it?”

“No.” Zarena actually leaned forward a bit and hunched her shoulders together taking on a more stern expression. Nathan's ability to appreciate it was limited as he remained within her cleavage but it did result in her breast pressing inward on him making her grip on him even more secure. She was actually having to fight back a smile and could tell from Nathan's heart rate that he didn't really believe she was serious. That wasn't going to stop her from trying though. Given that she was going to be watching the ship she had no real issue with his desire to go sailing. It wasn't something a brother got to do regularly for the time being or even at all for the last few thousand years so she couldn't blame him for being curious.

“Don't be that way. I know a few spells that could get me home safely if the ship were to sink.” Nathan actually had to resist snuggling deeper in Zarena's cleavage. He and the other brothers had been working themselves quite hard over the last few days to assist in the dryads union with the life bloom. There had been long hours of continues spell casting to help the union take place and he was more then ready to just relax for a while. Sleeping in Zarena's cleavage seemed just as appealing as going on a ship ride even though he had never been on one before. He was certain the ship wouldn't give him the same comforts that Zarena offered.

“Oh and what if some horrible monster from beneath the ocean floor sneaks up on the ship? You remember what we were told about the water kobolds. How long do you think it would take such a group of kobolds to swarm a ship?” It was rather hard for Zarena to think of a real threat. Nathan wasn't exactly a slacker whenever it came to magic. Such a large group of kobolds would also be hard pressed to sneak up on anything before they could flee especially with her in the water with them. She remembered the sisters talking about large creatures that remained at a distance supporting the kobolds but they had been drawn together by the Amalgam.

“I would have to flee very quickly in that case. That or I'd just zap them all with lightning. You know I am very good at using lightning spells.”

“I've heard the orcs talking about it. They say you were almost on par with their chief shaman.”

“Almost! Well I guess they'd like to think better of their leader.” Nathan gave a slight snort as he mocked indignation. It wasn't exactly a contest. They were working together and he had no desire to be in a who can throw the most powerful lightning bolt contest.

Zarena gave a slight giggle. “You mages always get so upset whenever someone says they have a bigger spell then you.”

“We do not. We get upset whenever someone lies about us.” Nathan gave a open laugh after a few moments. “I've really missed spending time with you.”

“At least you've had something to do! I'm either searching the ocean for sunken ships or other material to build onto my home with. I've actually began work on expansions for other sleepers. It's not going quite how I expected it to.”

“Taking longer then expected?”

“No. The orcs have been dealing with the local earth spirits and I've been helping them with their tributes. Plus I've been applying what I learned from working on my home and it's just going faster. We've established where I should build my home and we're actually thinking of making a massive ring around the harbor. That way it will be protected from storms, have plenty of room for growth and have a ring of sleepers living around it. I believe that would protect it from most things.”

“I'll say!” Nathan couldn't help but laugh. “You know that could make others quite nervous. They sell into the port to see a group of mountain sized beast women looking them over. It sounds like a good idea. If I'm not mistaken though the ocean gets deeper the further you go out. Isn't that going to pose something of a problem?”

“It is something of an issue but there is lots of material to use in the ocean. I've been cutting most of the stone I'm using from the same region these days. The earth spirits are happy about the arrangement apparently. They mentioned that such a ring would allow the spirits of earth to claim dominion over the water spirits contained within provided the physical ring can withstand the furry of the ocean all around it.” If the ring wasn't maintained Zarena was certain that it would eventually be reclaimed by the ocean.  It seemed the earth spirits could benefit from it though while it lasted and she was making sure to make the ring thick and strong. It would need to be in order to support her fellow sleepers.

“I see you've began working on your islands plant life as well. I hadn't even heard about that.”

“I asked some of the orcs and brothers to help me. The plants have to be resistant to being crushed, they have to be able to survive on rocky hard ground and well they need to be able to handle ocean water. I'm afraid that there wasn't many options.” As she spoke Zarena looked towards the island she'd made for herself. It had the smallest amount of green beginning to appear on it. “I'm afraid the plants aren't very pretty close or far away but well they're better then nothing but rocks.”

“Maybe I could.”

“Don't even think about helping. Your current project is what will help awaken my fellow sleepers after all.” For a moment Zarena went silent and rubbed the back of her neck suddenly feeling somewhat stiff. “That and my own training with the glyph. How have I been doing anyway? Has my demand on the system gone down any?”

“It has been steadily going down. Well okay there are occasional spikes. These typically come about whenever you go out to the ocean and then return. It's more due to the system having to stretch to continue feeding you and then the sudden change whenever you return.”

“That's not causing trouble is it?”

“The goods you bring back and the work you're doing here is well worth it.”

“That means yes.” For a moment Zarena said nothing but gently ran the tip of her index finger along Nathan's head. She was tempted to shove him deeper into her cleavage so she wouldn't be able to see him and keep him there for a while. That type of fun would have to wait until they could have some private time. She would need Nathan to still the air around her island and fog the light around it so they could have some fun without putting on too much of a show. That or she would take him further up the beach away from everyone as she usually did.

“It's well worth it believe me. The repair crew rarely mentions anything and that's typically just chatter. I believe my and Mirin's efforts are causing them more trouble then anything else.”

“How goes his special insects? The ones he's been feeding the life bloom?”

Nathan gave a large grin. “Well you know working with life tends to present new complications. He's started using other forms of magic in order to control the experiment better and for safety reasons. They have their first batch of refined silk. What surprised me is he nearly has the conductor that he wanted. An organic conductor of mystic energy that can handle far more of a load them the current material. At least it can in regards to the life bloom. He tried to use other forms of magic and in those area it's less spectacular.”

“Well that isn't surprising. He's making it to work with one form of mystic energy after all. Okay you can sail on the ship once it's ready to go.” Zarena couldn't help but laugh as Nathan threw his arms up in the air.

“Yay! I'm going to be one of the first brothers to go sailing in generations.”

“That depends on when they have the ship ready. Daniel said there was a lot that needed working on.”

***********************************************************************************

It felt strange to be this far from the citadel. Maria had been staying inside but for this meeting they had gathered outside so that the matrons could be there. There was one sister in particular that Maria hadn't spoken to in a very long time. “Hey Zarena! It's nice that you were able to make it.”

Zarena's smile widened as she looked down at the young mother to be. She could see a considerable shift in Maria's mystic energies and knew in part they were do to her son. This prompted Zarena to be more careful then normal. If she was to pick up Maria like she would another sister then her child would end up being killed by the sudden acceleration. That wasn't something that Zarena could stand happening. “Hello Maria. It has been a while since I traveled here. I saw how you all have been keeping the path I made pretty well worn. Who's idea was it to put the guide stones on it?”

“I have no idea. They're working well aren't they?”

To this Zarena gave a nod. The mystic stones served to help keep the animals and plants of the forest on their natural path rather then taking an unnatural one. Their power wasn't absolute and some maintenance had to be done but it seemed to have solved their problem. Unfortunately the more roads they made the more difficult it would be and the more maintenance they would take. Having at least one major path to and from the waterfront seemed like a good idea though. “Yes they appear to be. So how long until Ethan joins us?”

“I have a few more months. Well.” Maria froze up for a moment as she remembered not every sister knew about the protectors. Their numbers were growing but not every one of them knew yet and indeed the majority still didn't. “According to our best guess. Honestly it makes me a little nervous being away from the citadel. Human children are so delicate whenever they're born I would really like to have a healer near by just in case.”

“Are we ready to begin?”

Every sister went silent and began to look around looking to see if anyone was missing. Everyone wouldn't be arriving but they needed a large showing. Today nothing important was to be decided officially but it was going to be an important conversation. After a while of looking around Flora stood up and made her way to the center of the gathering. “We have been working on ending our hunger for centuries now and well over a thousand years. In the last decade we have made very large steps towards that goal and now it seems inevitable. Through the work of our brothers and our own work now our hunger will be resolved. With that comes a level of power and responsibility that we haven't known. We have no masters to guide us this time and we have some simple truths to face. Some of our hunger is going to end before the hunger of other faelom. Some of us are going to grow much larger then others if we all end our hunger. Some of us are going to be too large for the forest to endure.

For this reason we must begin making plans to handle our growth. Some ideas have been suggested. Now if you would all turn your attention to my daughters.” Flora gave Maria and Mira a very large grin as the two almost jumped out of their seats. They apparently didn't plan for their mother to suddenly shift the attention towards them it seemed. She expected that and she was glad to see they realized there was no going back as they began to walk towards the center. It was Mira who found her voice first.

“We have spoken with many of you in regards to this issue about what can be done and what resources we can make use of. We have considered limiting the size a faelom may grow to and requiring them to wait until other means of developing them other then simply growing larger can be found. This notion has not been well received. We have also considered the notion of all faelom that grow beyond a certain point being required to live on the ocean front or on the outer edges of the forest. This isn't a popular solution either. Unfortunately there is no popular solution to our current problem. Every solution that we have managed to come up with has had issues.”

Mira might not be able to think at super speeds but Maria was impressed by the way her sister spoke. It gave her more time to think and compose her thoughts. “Rather then opening up the floor for open debate we have come up with a plan. Even though there are no popular plans this is simply a problem that must be resolved. We have determined thanks to records in the citadel that a faelom of roughly twenty meters tall could live within the central and eastern parts of the forest without doing significant damage so long as she is mindful of her actions. For this reason this is the size we have determined would be appropriate to live within the village. Any faelom who chooses to remain at such a size should be welcomed to remain here.

Other faelom should be given a choice. They can live on the ocean front. Which I want to remind you all is rapidly developing with our relationship with the orcs and has a road leading into the village allowing for visitations. After all that's how Zarena made it here.” Maria went silent for a moment while everyone looked to Zarena and she waved at the crowd. It was a good chance to illustrate a point. The road could be made use of. “The second option would be to live on the forest edge on land we intend to purchase from the humans. Yes I said purchase. We do not wish to appear as an invading army. We intend to take advantage of this situation doing two things. Those faelom who settle on the edge of the forest would serve as the developers of the trade communities we hope to form. Naturally we also need a means of moving goods into the forest. We know that a path will be formed. What we don't know is if that path will require one to travel to the ocean front and to the ocean front road to reach here or if we'll form two additional paths leading to the main village.”

Zarena was rather happy with the way Maria and Mira had spoken. There was something she considered important though that she wanted to point out. “These additional paths wouldn't have to be large enough to accommodate a sleeper would they?”

What was Zarena getting at? A sleeper could make the journey extremely quickly so while to some faelom traveling to the ocean front and then to the road could be a long journey it wouldn't be for a sleeper or a faelom of roughly the same size. “I do not believe they should be. Once a faelom reaches a certain size the journey becomes extremely easy. Rather I would say that these additional paths should only be made large enough for sisters who would require several hours to make the journey to the waterfront at least.” Maria wasn't certain of exactly how large a faelom would have to be to make a journey so easily. She was certain that the roads wouldn't have to support a faelom even half of Zarena's size.

Now there was a slow down. There was some light talking among the sisters as Mira and Maria left the center of the crowd. It was actually Stella who moved towards the center after a few minutes of conversation in order to speak up. “What else might we do to ease the burden of those faelom who have to live on the edge of the forest or in the ocean front? We need to consider what these faelom are going to be losing by being relocated. One of the most noteworthy things I can think of is access to the citadel or even the library. This may not benefit me a great deal directly but I fully intend for my son to continue his studies and if it can't be at the citadel then he'll need some place.”

Nora felt rather awkward as she took to the center of the sisters. She could easily talk amongst those faelom near her but she wanted to speak with the group and openly. “In that case we should consider building a new laboratory and a new library at each one of the external locations. I believe the ocean front would be the prime location for such early development as we could also gain knowledge from the orcs as our first joint village. Yet can we ask our brothers to abandon the resources and advantages of the citadel in order to work in such a location?”

When Nora left the center the conversations resumed. Several where actually surprised whenever Julia moved to speak. She didn't have to worry about growing or changing like them but she had changed herself a lot and she had a level of understanding of magic the faelom just didn't share. “The citadel does have many advantages that is true. It has advantages for those who have knowledge enough to use them. Many brothers would have been as successful in the laboratory however as they are currently within the citadel. I don't wish to insult any of my fellow mages but the simple truth is that only one in three of them are truly making use of what the citadel has to offer. There projects simply do not require the type of tools the citadel tends to offer.”

Unlike Maria, Mira, Flora and Nora Julia wasn't allowed to simply leave the floor. As Stella called out. “How is that Julia?”

Julia gave Stella a smile. “Whenever your project requires an oven that can achieve one thousand degree Celsius at most there is no point in having one that can achieve five thousand. Whenever you only need a precision of five joules of energy you don't need an instrument that can detect one thousandth of a joule. That is the reality of most of our brothers projects. They simply don't have the knowledge to perform experiments refined enough to need such tools. Well one third of us have been but the other two thirds have not.”

Kiara, “Okay a bit off the subject but are you one of those third sister?”

Julia shot her sister a large smile. “Yes I am. Though in my case I'm more making use of the knowledge and the equipment I need to make these changes to a body.” As she spoke Julia gave her right wrist a few sharp thumps with her left hand producing a rather satisfying sound. The speed with which she impacted her arm was clearly enough to appease the faelom as they knew there was a fair bit of force in those impacts. The speed with which Julia moved actually reminded most of the faelom of themselves making it even easier to accept her as one of their own.

When Julia left the floor Maria heard the conversations begin again. They weren't truly hoping to have a vote at this moment. They just wanted to get things being talked about openly. When a shadow fail over her though she was a bit surprised to see Zarena leaning over and placing her finger in the center of the crowd. It actually brought a great deal of laughs. Everyone knew that Zarena couldn't really take the floor so when she spoke it was considered given to her by default. “So how goes plans to buy this land anyway? Have we decided on what we're actually going to use to purchase it?”

When Zarena gave up the floor she noticed no one was stepping forward. Apparently the exact item hadn't been resolved yet. They all knew humans liked gold and silver but they had more use for those metals and even need then the humans did. It was Flora who moved towards the floor once again. “We must be careful in what we offer. Depending on what we trade we will be granting one group of people a great advantage over those around them. We could end up starting another war.”

Stella, “Flora couldn't that happen regardless of what we trade though? Even a surplus in food would allow the humans to dedicate less of their people to farming and more of them to war.”

After a moment of silence Flora gave a nod. Stella actually had a good point and it was one that she really couldn't argue against. “That is true.” A sigh escaped Flora as she covered her face for a moment. Yet another complication. Whenever they traded with some humans and not others they ran the risk of upsetting the balance of power just like the Luvarians of old. Unfortunately they couldn't simply choose who to buy the land from. They had to buy the land from its current owners if they were going to do this right. At least if they were going to do it as close to right as they possibly could. Flora could actually feel her head starting to pound as she considered the situation.

Once Flora had set down Mira stood up and moved towards the floor once again. A few other faelom had stood up but they quickly set back down. She imagined they were just as nervous to speak on such matters as she was. In truth she would have gladly allowed them to go first and hope they covered the issue for her. “We have two ways of doing this. We can research the humans that live around the forest and decide who we want to trade with then make a deal. Otherwise we can find what land we considered most favorable, which we have already done, and buy the land from the humans that own it. In one case we try to select who we buy from and in the second case we try to pick what we buy. For the sake of our future development I believe it would be best if we chose what we choose to buy.”

There was a large number of mixed response as Mira set down. The ethics of trading with humans that might abuse the benefits versus trading with someone that might not have anything worth purchasing. Would they be like the Luvarians of old and simply go after the best merchandise even if it upset the balance of power of the surrounding communities and possibly caused conflict. Would they hurt their own development because others could not be trusted to deal fairly with one another. Was it necessary and how many faelom would choose to grow compared to those that chose to hold onto their hunger and wait for a new solution. There was other issues to deal with though and Maria stood up.

“I hate to add to the debate however there is one more issue I must mention. Our own order. We have relied on keepers being larger, stronger and wiser then lower ranked faelom to keep order for a very long time and manage many of our systems. With the size restrictions that size advantage will no longer exist. A single keeper won't be able to easily break up two brawling guardians anymore especially without harming anyone. Without that advantage how do we intend to maintain order whenever tempers flare?”

Stella took in a deep breath. Several sisters seemed to do the same as the simple truth of what Maria said sunk in. It was Stella who spoke her mind though. “That is a very unpleasant thought. Our frame work has been working for so long but just. Blast it.” How were they going to fix this? Keepers were carefully selected and observed carefully. If one was found abusing her power the punishment was quite strict. She would be forced to regress back to guardian status in many cases. What happened whenever that wasn't the case anymore? What happened when a keeper couldn't break up a fight by just taking hold of both of the guardians and pulling them apart. “It will be most of the keepers that are forced to leave the village as well won't it?”

Maria gave a slight nod. She couldn't tell her that the protectors had told her that was most likely the case. It was easy to justify though. “It has been noticed that for the keepers their hunger has been declining far more slowly then the guardians in most cases. If our belief that the keepers are the strongest willed among us holds true then many keepers who choose to let themselves grow until their hunger ends will be leaving the village.” Maria went silent and she could already hear the conversations starting she needed to speak up again. “I want to remind you all that we're not here to vote on anything today we just came to talk.”

Nora, “So when do you believe we should have a vote?”

Maria, “We have time to give ourselves time to think. They are solutions to this problem we just need to find them. One solution that I will mention is we could consider doing like the humans. Certain faelom that are chosen to maintain order in the village could be intrusted with weapons. I know none of us like using weapons! Our bodies are often seen as the only weapons we need and to admit that we need another is difficult. However, we won't be fighting humans, kobolds, orcs or even ogres. We would be fighting other faelom and I'm sure we can all agree that a confrontation with another faelom requires special consideration.”

Stella, “That's true and it's not as if the weapons would have to be suitable for human use. They could be designed for faelom to be used against other faelom or.” For a moment Stella went silent then felt a flash of inspiration. “Make use of our senses. Like those crystals that were used during the escape if they could be focused in a narrow area so only those faelom fighting could hear it. I bet that would break up a fight very quickly. Another option would be some kind of powder to attack our noses. The humans can make those already so it isn't like we would be giving them any new weapons.”

Several faelom took a moment to look to one another. Maria was actually surprised. The notion of using sound as a weapon seemed like an extremely good idea. It also served as a good reminder as to why Stella had been made a keeper. When Maria had considered making a weapon for the faelom to use against one another she had been thinking in terms of making something new. Stella on the other hand was thinking of using weapons the humans already had but making them more effective. “Do you believe they could be powerful enough to stop two fully enraged sisters from fighting?”

“I have no idea. I've had to break up a few fights before and some of us are very hard to calm down. We also want a good deal of stopping power. Still even a staff that could endure our strength would be a fairly effective weapon in our hands. Between the extra reach and leverage the weapon would offer it could offer a serious advantage. Well if we can find a material strong enough to make such a staff out of. We're going to need something that can be used to club a twenty meter tall faelom into submission fairly quickly.” Stella took in a deep breath and tried to think of a material that could be used for such a task. After a few moments she had her response. “I can't think of anything.”

Silence was broken by laughter and then the air was filled by quiet conversations. It felt like a lot of tension had left the area but the faelom were prepared to talk about it.”Well I'm certain that we all have much to talk about. I vote we put the issue off until our next official meeting and give every faelom a chance to consider her options. Those agreed?” Maria was actually relieved when the vast majority of faelom raised their hands. As she looked behind herself one thing surprised her. “Do you have something you want to add Zarena or does anyone else?”

Zarena, “No. I'm good. I'm just thinking a bit.”

“I see. Your hand wasn't raised so I wasn't certain.”

A slight chuckle came from Zarena as she looked around. “Well so many voted to end the meeting that I didn't believe I needed to raise my hand.” When the vote was overwhelming Zarena tended to keep her opinions to herself unless she disagreed. If ninety percent of the faelom had resolved to take a certain path though and she agreed she didn't see any reason to expend the energy to raise her hand.

***********************************************************************************

It felt rather strange for Mirin to see Sora like this. It wasn't seeing her that was strange though she did like to spend a lot of time hidden. He found himself rather surprised by how much she had grown. Sora was typically the smallest of the matrons in order to help her fit into tight areas. Now she had chosen to abandon that. He wondered how much of an issue that would be in the future if someone could track her from her foot prints. Granted that was a very weak way of tracking someone. He didn't like the idea of fighting someone when he couldn't see their arms. “Could we make a weapon that could endure being used to strike another matron?”

“Well not just a matron. It would need to be usable by one twenty meter tall faelom as an effective weapon against another faelom of equal size.” Sora had hoped that Mirin's response would be yes but she realized he was asking him for a lot. The faelom weren't just big. Their strength and endurance surpassed what their size indicated. An obvious solution was mythril but she knew they didn't have anywhere near enough mythril to make such weapons.

Mirin had just finished his work with the silk worms for the day. The results were promising but the work had been boring and repetitive observation. It had left his head feeling a bit numb. “Would you mind picking me up first? I'm not used to you just walking up to me when we talk.”

“Hey you're making me sound like I'm grabby.”

“You are! The only difference is that you're normally invisible whenever you do it.”

A slight chuckle escaped Sora before she reached down and placed a hand behind Mirin. One nice thing about her increased size was that it made picking him up easier. She felt a little down when she imagined what would happen when she grew beyond the twenty meter limit. Sure the rules weren't in place yet but she was already close to the theorized threshold. It was something she and the other matrons had spoken a lot about especially those as massive as Fera. “Is that better?”

“Not really. I think it was the surprise of suddenly.” Mirin gave a slight yelp as he felt himself suddenly accelerate upwards. The feeling of Sora's hands leaving him and his momentum carrying him upward was new but there was hardly time to shout.

Sora had tossed Mirin a good three meters above her head. This coupled with her height would be enough to injure him but she wasn't going to wait for that to happen. As he came back down she lightly grasped his body and bent at her knees slowing his rate of fall but not bringing him to a complete stop until her arms were level with her chest and she'd taken on a squat position. “How is that for a wake up?” Sora couldn't help but laugh as Mirin gave her a startled look.

“Well I'm awake now!” Mirin joined in Sora's laughter after a moment. It was his fault for mentioning the usual surprise. His laughter calmed down as she stood back up and held him closer to level with her head. “Okay. Well at least you're not asking me for a weapon that any faelom could use. I don't believe I could develop something for the sleepers to make use of with only twenty years.”

“Hey. We need this new weapon a lot sooner then that.”

“I got the impression but why?”

“Well it has to do with the keepers and how we're going to handle our growing problem. Have you and the other brothers talked about what would happen when we grew too large to live in the forest?” Sora was fairly certain Mirin hadn't. The question seemed to catch him by surprise. He went silent for a moment and seemed to focus his attention on her.

“We haven't given that much thought beyond the sleepers.”

“Well it's a serious problem. It isn't official yet but it seems that only faelom of a certain size range are going to be able to live in the heart of the forest.” A sigh escaped Sora. “With size restrictions though the old system where the keepers were larger and stronger then just about anyone else just isn't going to work anymore. So where their bodies were once their primary weapons they're going to need a new one. It needs to be something that would let them end a fight quickly but would make for a poor choice of a weapon for anyone other then a faelom. A staff that could be used by one of us effectively seemed like a good choice. We also talked a little bit about weapons that use our hearing and sense of smell against us.”

After a moment of silence Mirin gave a nod. He could see where Sora was coming from. “I see. But how is that going to work Sora. How would we pick what faelom get to carry a weapon? Being a keeper is more about just being bigger and stronger then other faelom. Well you know all of this.”

“Yeah. I know but well let's tackle one problem at a time. There needs to be some peacekeepers in the village for when the keepers can no longer be here. It may not be that they are the wisest among us. We may have to look more into those that are the best at upholding the rules.” Sora gave a long sigh as she considered this. Whatever faelom ended up serving as peacekeepers may not have the same authority that keepers once held. It could be a strict enforce the rules policy and let others handle the judgment aspect of a situation. “Mirin as far as the main village is concerned this might be the end of the keepers and matrons. I believe I'm a little sad.”

No matrons and no keepers. The thought was unusual to Mirin. They would still exist on the outer edge of the forest and perhaps that was good. It meant they would be showing their best face to the world. Yet when it came to those living inside of the forest it was strange. “Sora I'll look into the development of a weapon that would work for twenty meter tall faelom. Let's talk about those things later though. What are we going to do?”

Now Sora wished she was invisible. She had chosen to let Mirin see her as she believed it was important but now she bit down on her lower lip. “I want to continue growing Mirin. I want this hunger to end after so long even if it means I won't be able to stay in the forest. I'm sure that I could take you to and from the citadel. I don't want to be apart from you either.” As she spoke Sora lifted Mirin to her face and gave him a kiss on the side of the head. He leaned into it eagerly.

“I don't want to go a day without you either. There is a big size gap between not being able to remain in the village though and being able to travel to and from it quickly Sora. I believe it's time that we apprentices began to take our travel needs into our own hands again. I'm going to speak with some of the other brothers and see if we can begin working on a means of transportation. I'll also have a word with our host and see what they believe.”

“That does sound like a good idea. But only until I'm large enough to easily carry you to and from the citadel.” As she spoke Sora pointed her left index finger at Mirin and gave him a stern look. She didn't mind him traveling to the citadel using something else while she was still growing into the proper size. She wasn't about to tolerate such behavior once she could take care of him.

“Really?”

“Yes really!”

It was impossible for Mirin to keep from laughing even as Sora's facial expression softened a bit. “I really wonder how much time you spent watching me but didn't let me see.”

“You're going to have to just keep wondering that.”

***********************************************************************************

“So you're consolidating all your projects?”

To this Dan gave a nod even as he focused his attention on Dremera. Currently she was staring right back at him. Between them there was a delicate ball. They were both trying to claim it but there was a trick to it. If Dremera used her claws to grab it or even moved it too quickly it would break. It could endure fast movement but not exceptionally fast. For this to work one of the competitors had to be distracted. Dremera actually had a pretty good win ratio against Dan and her mother but every game she took very seriously. “Project quickened alterations is one of the primary ones as is the reformation of the spirit hunters and the augmentation of the life bloom and the system using it. Other projects are being put on hold to work on new issues that are popping up.”

“What's being put on hold?”

“Anything that has to do with long term food storage for one thing. The techniques we've already developed are sufficient for that. There are several research projects into the properties of different plants and animals that are being put on hold as well.”

“Ah! They must be upset about that.” Mina knew that some projects were more important then others. That said she trusted her brothers not to waste resources. If they were researching a plant or animal they must have believed something useful would come of it. One didn't find out how to make the most powerful healing potion or strength increasing potion by mixing the same things constantly. Plus the forest was constantly developing new plants for them to come up with. “Hey Dan I haven't heard much talk about the tainted region of the forest. How goes the changes to it?”

Dan hadn't been following the alterations to the forest closely. His work with Joseph and Ridon had taken priority. He had heard some things though. “They began work on that a few weeks back. Well by work I mean altering the landscape and introducing the plants. They finished the purge a while ago. From what I'm told the orcs were invaluable in developing the reformation plan. They're also eager to see what comes out of the region though they did require certain rights to it for their help. We don't get to keep all the interesting new plants for ourselves.” Dan quickly reached out with his right hand to take hold of the orb. He was actually rather surprised whenever he found Dremera's hand there. They couldn't tug on the orb and she knew that. After locking eyes with the young girl both of them released their hold on it and brought their hands back to a starting position.

With Dremera around and so many things changing Mina wasn't certain what to do with herself at times. She was helping Dan and the others with their projects but that didn't take up much of her time. Most of her time was spent with Dremera which was fine. She did feel a little out of place without the usual burden on her shoulders. It was strange to go so long without diffusing a conflict of some type. Mina very rarely had to break up fights. The majority of the faelom behaved just a little better then they usually did when she was around. “Dan if the keepers aren't going to be maintain the peace anymore what am I going to do?”

Dan gave a slight chuckle. “Darn it!” In the moment of laughter Dan had seen Dremera's hand move for the crystal. Before he could stop her though she had grasped it and began moving it. He could swear that he had felt his fingertips brush against the edges as it moved beyond his grasp and his daughter set up victorious. “Mina I don't believe you have to worry about that. If you want to live as a peacekeeper I'm sure you could do that.”

“But Dan I don't believe on increasing my size anymore.”

“True but you were over a meter smaller whenever you fought a matron to a stand still.”

Mina went silent for a moment as she tried to remember that fight. She was pregnant and trying to establish her territory. “That is so embarrassing. Maria hasn't shown any territorial behavior at all and Flora behaved better then me.”

“Stella and Phinila didn't.” As he spoke Dan stood up and made his way over to a small container for Dremera's reward. The jar wasn't locked but he counted the candies within so he would know if one was stolen. He could then ask the protectors who had taken a candy. He had nearly been floored one day whenever they told him Naidra had taken one.  

Mina gave a slight chuckle as she looked at her daughter. “Am I distracting daddy? Don't gloat too much young lady or I might play you.”

“Oh I wouldn't threaten that. She's winning one out of three against you I believe she'd take the risk.”

Mina didn't say anything but looked at her daughter. Dremera was very careful when she placed the orb back on the ground and took the candy from her father. It wasn't likely that Dan had noticed but Dremera had far less of an interest in the candy then he suspected. She only seemed to really want it whenever her father was the one offering her the candy. In most cases Dremera tended to favor meat more then she did sweats. She hoped that her daughter would adjust well to when it was time to begin eating the life bloom. “Well she has been receiving a lot more practice then I have. So you believe that they're doing well reforming the forest?”

After his defeat it was tempting to make Dremera work a little bit more for her candy. Dan wasn't going to tease his daughter like that though. She had earned her reward and he placed it in her eager hands. “Well everything I've heard. And everything I've heard isn't much indicators things are going well. Would you like to go there and have a look for yourself.”

“It has been a while since I've gone far from the citadel and I'm sure I can trust Dremera and the protectors to keep you safe while I'm away.” For a moment Mina went silent and took in a deep breath. “I really want to go hunting as well. I don't know how Maria is managing to repress her hunting instincts.”

“Well then go hunting honey. I'm sure Dremera will love to see what you bring back.”

“Do you believe you're going to need me tomorrow?”

“I always need you but I can endure for a day.” As Dan spoke he made it a point to put extra emotion into his voice. He knew better then to fell a faelom that he didn't need her. That was especially true whenever that faelom was your mate.

Mina couldn't help but giggle but she did like Dan's answer. “You charmer.”

“Charm? But all I do is speak the truth.”

***********************************************************************************

“How are you doing?” As Lanora spoke she settled down next to Fear who took in a deep breath. Fera had been silent during the meeting but she had been very involved emotionally. Whenever they talked about how large the faelom would be allowed to grow in the village and remain there they seemed not to consider that the matron's size differences. Fera was one of the largest matrons and she was already far too big to stay.

“I'm just enjoying the last few days at my home I'm going to get.”

“Fera it isn't like you won't be able to return.”

“I know but. There is a difference between visiting and living at a place you know?” Fera took in another deep breath. She was the predator. The one that had been forced to slumber because her prey drive had driven her to some rather poor choices. She had learned to control her desire to hunt but it had never left her. Even now she didn't risk fighting near the other faelom to prevent any mistakes. How was that going to work whenever she was no longer in the forest and surrounded by even weaker prey?

“Have you decided where you're going to go?”

“I'm going to go live at the ocean front village I believe. I hope having Zarena around and the other sleepers once they're awake will be enough to keep me in check.  It's hard to feel like a top predator when they're around plus. I want to see how these eyes of mine work at fishing.” Fera had pretty much resolved that living in one of the trade towns wasn't an option. She could handle provocation from other faelom and her brothers but she didn't know how she would behave whenever those provoking her weren't part of the community. “What about you?”

Now it was Lanora's turn to take a moment to huff. “I have no idea. I'm actually leaning a bit more towards the trade village though. I'd get to meet new people and take in some human culture. Well depending on how things go.”

“You're not worried that they'll be too annoying?”

“No! Well yes.” Lanora gave a slight chuckle before standing back up and looking down at the still setting Fera. “Instead of just setting around how about we walk around some? We can look at how things are and think about how they've changed. Maybe we should even fuss about how much work we put into the new dining hall only for us to end up outgrowing it so quickly.”

“I know!” Fera put even more energy into her voice then she expected to whenever she stood up. “We gather so much stone, we have the brothers treat it with alchemy and then boom we have all these advancements at once and suddenly we're outgrowing it. At least those faelom who remain will get to enjoy it but blast it. What are we going to do once we leave here? Are we going to prepare a new dining hall?”

“Don't you believe we're going to be too big for that?” As she spoke Lanora had started to walk with Fera following close behind. Part of her was going to miss their home as well but already that home had changed so much she wasn't certain if it was the same anymore.

“We might be. But I liked sharing my kills with the other faelom. I liked listening to everyone talk around me. I didn't listen in on them but just the fact that we had so many sisters and brothers around us talking. It was nice.” Fera gave a slight sigh. This was the first time she regretted training with the glyph. Even the pain she had experience whenever she first began her training didn't compare with this.

“You really liked feeding others didn't you Fera?”

To this Fera gave a nod. “I loved it. I know many choose to focus on my more predatory nature. Which I admit is one of my dominant traits. I'm not some loan predator though. I just loved it when the younger faelom like Tera or Pera would dive into a fresh kill I brought back. It just made me so happy to see them enjoying themselves that I wanted to bring back more and then more still. I guess I liked helping to feed my family.” Fera slowed down a bit and took a moment to look around. Without so many of the claimed the streets were a good bit emptier then they had been. The fact that the roads were even wider then they had been before and many of the brothers were at the citadel influenced this as well. “Lanora killing is what I'm best at. What am I going to do whenever that isn't needed anymore?”

“I don't believe you have to worry about that! We're going to be reopening communications with the outside world. Well we already have. I'm certain they'll be plenty of people that want to start a fight with us. Then if that doesn't work I hear they're some very big creatures in the ocean. You said it yourself you were thinking about trying fishing. Last I checked you had no trouble using those eyes of yours to see under the water.”

“That's true. What do I do if I find something larger then me though?”

“Has that ever stopped us from killing something we wanted to make dead?”

A delighted chuckle escaped Fera as she extended her claws. “No. It has not. I guess it would be a good chance to show that we're not just big. What about you though Lanora?”

Lanora's mutation was rapid healing even by faelom standards. This included rapid recovery of her stamina. This meant she could run longer and harder then other faelom for extended time periods. It also meant that doing enough damage to bring her down was more difficult. “I guess that's one reason I want to work in the trade communities. I believe I'm better suited to defense then offense.”

“I don't know about that! An attacker that hardly ever needs to stop and wrest. That's pretty frightening.  Even if they did manage to injure you they would be hard pressed to build up a strong enough offense to bring you down before you recovered.”

“I swear I believe I have one of the most masochist mutations of us!” Lanora couldn't help but giggle as she considered how her mutation let her endure punishment and recover from it but not shrug it off.

“That's not true. You don't like pain so you recover from the things that cause you pain quickly. That's how I see it or do you like pain?”

“I do not!”

Fera couldn't help but laugh and soon Lanora joined her. Both of them knew that every faelom in the area could hear what they were saying but there was nothing new about that. It was just part of living in a society where everyone had exception healing. At least every female did. “If you do end up living in the trading villages will you come and visit me on the waterfront?”

“I'm certain that I will. After all I'm very good at traveling long distances and not fatiguing. I wonder how big we're going to end up being once it's all over.”

“I have no idea.”

“Have you made any plans for if you end up the same size as a sleeper?”

“No but from what I've heard and spoken to the brothers about that's very unlikely. It isn't like all the sleepers came from the same generation after all. They were carefully chosen over several generations and I don't think it was just due to their devotion to the society.”

Before Lanora could speak she came to a stop and took a moment to look around at the buildings. They had built them larger then the old ones and while the faelom had been growing they hadn't grown quite as much as the new structures. “Standing here it's hard to feel like we've grown. It feels like we've become smaller instead.”

“Well that depends on if you compare yourself to the buildings or not. I tend to think of things in terms of how the ground feels beneath my feet.”

“Seriously?”

To this Fera gave a nod. “It's not just that though. I remember whenever I was a kid I placed my claw against a tusker rib. I told my mother. Mommy my index claw could nearly cut through a tuskers rib in one swipe! I was so proud of that.” Fera gave a quiet laugh even as her lips spread into a wider smile. “Then my mommy said let me try. From that point on whenever she would talk to me she would always relate things to tusker ribs or basilisk scales. Fera do you know how many deer leaps you covered sprinting? Measurements stopped being constants to me. Distance wasn't a matter of some number but how far away from my prey it was. I know things in terms of numbers don't get me wrong but that's not how I think.”

Fera's mother had been very predatory just like her daughter. Lanora could remember that. She also remembered Fera's father was one of the few brothers that went hunting. Often he would plan on the hunting path and he and his mate would work together to catch very illusive prey. “So your internal units of measurement constantly change?”

“Yes. They're based on how large and fit I am as compared to how fit my prey is. Some years the distances change a lot. I never really judged myself against the buildings whenever I walked through town but how the dirt and grass felt beneath my feet.”

For a moment Lanora said nothing but shifted her feet against the ground. She couldn't imagine doing like that though she had to admit that the grass felt different. Fera let her instincts rule over more of her life then most faelom did. “So how does that relate to your mates?”

Now Fera gave Lanora a rather toothy grin. “That relates to how much I want to let him have control. If he's doing such a good job that I can't imagine him doing anything better then I just want to let him do as he wants. If I felt the need to intervene or control his actions well. The more controlling I'm being the worse he's actually doing.”

“Oh ho! Now how many of your mates know that?”

A sharp chuckle escaped Fera. “Well it differs from time to time. Everyone has an off day once in a while. Sure there have been a few cases where I had no interest in the person after the first time. I've had a few mates that thought it would be best to just go with what I wanted. Typically they're claimed that had been promoted through the ranks to regain their freedom.”

“So that isn't typically a problem for our brothers?”

“Not typically.”

“What ones has it been a problem for?”

Fera gave a sharp snort. “That's not the type of thing that you talk about with others.”

“Oh come on! Perhaps I can tell you how they've improved.”

“No. Now stop being a gossip.” Fera gave a slight snort before Lanora backed off a bit. She enjoyed speaking with her sisters but she didn't like it whenever they insisted on knowing the business of other people. Fera didn't want to cause any unfair speculation about the performance of those brothers she'd slept with either. She also didn't want to risk offending their mates. Faelom tended to take it personally whenever another faelom said their mate performed poorly whenever it came to sex. Even faelom that were simply close friends of the brother in question could take offense.

“Ah! Well alright. When are you going to start preparing to move to the ocean front village?”

“I was thinking of starting tonight. We haven't passed a vote yet but we all know that it's going to succeed. The only other choice would be several of the smaller faelom leave the village to clear up enough space for others to stay in it. Are we going to ask five or ten guardians to leave the village so that one keeper or matron can stay? I don't believe that's fair.” Fera actually believed that such a decision could be passed if the matrons and keepers argued remaining close to the village is a privilege that should reserved to the most deserving of faelom. She wasn't going to try that though.

“True but you know I don't believe this is going to be permanent. We all know about the project Dan is working on. Hey Fera would you be willing to change your size for a new adaptation? Now you don't know what it's going to be.”

For a moment Fera went quiet. She actually found her mind grinding to a halt. Mutations were always advantageous though some were more so then others. Some mutations could get in the way of certain activities but being the same size as a hill could get in the way as well. Being the same size of a mountain could be a real problem. She also liked her size on some level especially whenever it came to hunting. “Wow. That is a really hard one to answer. I know our adaptations have always been a good thing but is it worth losing my size over? It would be nice to be able to return to the village and even walk inside of the citadel.”

“So what would it be?” Lanora was actually quite eager to hear Fera's answer. She had been thinking of the issue quite a bit herself. Hopefully Fera could offer some new insight that would help her make up her own mind.

“Well at times to catch your prey you have to take a bit of a risk. I would do it. How about you?”

“I'm not sure either. If I had a mate or a child to raise I believe the choice would be easy. At the moment. I suspect I would undergo the treatment as well. Actually I think I'll wait and see how it worked out for you and some of the other faelom then make my decision.” It didn't surprise Lanora whenever she received a light jab from Fera. It stung but she knew Fera could have done far worse. Especially given how Fera could see the most vulnerable locations on the bodies of others.

“You sneak.”

“At times it helps to stand back and let someone else lead the charge. That way they're the one to run through the stink weed.”

“That attitude will never put you at the head of the pack.”

“Maybe but a wise hunter makes sure she knows her prey before attacking.”

***********************************************************************************

Maria set a good twenty meters away from Joseph, Dan and Ridon with a wide grin on her face. Naidra was standing next to her. The three men weren't reading now but had prepared three rather complex glyphs. They were each identical as far as she could tell. Each glyph had a flask at the center of it which was clearly responding to the magic being channeled through the glyph. “Come on Joseph you can do it. Dan Ridon you two as well.” Maria couldn't help but grin. After spending so much time setting in the center of a glyph while Joseph observed it was fun to see him having to really work on something. “Hey Naidra what are they doing exactly?”

“They're working on the practical application of their studies. You know the only way to really make sure you know something is to practice it. They've studied enough that they believed it was time to see if they can actually apply the knowledge.”

“What did you think?”

“We protectors don't have that issue to the same extent that you and the apprentices do. So our judgment on such things are pretty poor to be honest. Even if none of us have ever done exactly what we're doing it's quite likely that one of us has done something similar. With our connected minds there is a much smaller learning curve. They haven't broken anything yet but they seem to be pretty well stressed by their current tasks so I believe they were right about it being a good time to stop and work on their practical skills.”

Maria gave a nod and looked towards the three men again. She could see Dan's flask turning a very dark blue. “So what are they working on exactly?”

“Maria you've been helping them to prepare their research material. Well. Instead of me just saying figure it out why don't you give a few guesses? I'll help you out if you're having serous trouble.”

Maria gave a slight snort. “You know some times I wonder if you're as wise as you act or if you only get to act that way because you know everything that happens within the citadel and a good deal of what happens outside of it. It's easy to act like a story is obvious if you've already read the book.” Maria was actually a bit surprised whenever she heard Naidra laughing. She had expected some smart comment in return.

“That is actually very possible.” Naidra had no intention of telling Maria whether or not they were simply good at examining a situation and coming up with possible scenarios, had seen similar events before or simply had seen things happening. It was more fun to let her think about such things and try to reach her own conclusion. In truth all three were possible and all three influenced one another. They saw what Joseph, Dan and Ridon were planning, they had seen similar experiments in the past and all of that data could be used to develop the most likely scenarios.

After a moment of silence Maria took in a deep breath. Making alterations to the body was dangerous. The more powerful or drastic the alterations the more likely something could go wrong. Maria had read in books were a mage would try to form blades from their hands only to cut their own arteries as the weapons formed. The three men had been reading a lot of necromancy but instead of studying ways to raise someone as one of the undead they had been studying ways to sustain life even when the usual life cycle had been disturbed. It was very similar to the treatment Joseph and Dan had received. “They're working on a potion that would delay someone's death!”

“That is pretty close Maria. But if that was all there is to it do you believe they'd have to work this hard?”

“It depends on how good of a safety net it was and how long lasting. After all. It's easier to sustain someone's life whenever their lunges have been filled with fluid then when their head has been cut off. In one the equipment needed to maintain the life cycle is still intact and an obstruction needs to be purged. In the other the equipment has been badly damaged.” Maria couldn't help but smile at Naidra. Her response indicated that she was on the right path but her comment had some faults in it. Maria couldn't resist pointing them out.

“That is true.”

“So they're trying to develop a potion that would prevent someone from dieing. No. I don't believe that's right. Julia once told me that one of the most difficult things about necromancy is that it involves the person's spirit. Even if you're not trying to create a sentient undead residual energy from the spirit can influence the body. To make really powerful undead you either need lots of energy or you need to make the best use of that energy. It's even better if you have both.  So a potion that influences anything would require a lot of power and that's just not how Joseph works.”

Naidra couldn't help but chuckle.  It wasn't the best way to figure out the situation. It was valid though. Maria knew Joseph as well as anyone if not better then anyone else. “Why don't you ask them?”

“I don't want to risk distracting them.” Before continuing Maria raised her voice so the men could hear them. “It looks like you're doing really well. Just be careful not to hurt yourselves.” Even if she didn't want to question them Maria was going to call out encouragement. “Okay the potion is what they're working on. The glyph is controlling the constants to the spell and they're working on adapting to the variables. If they're focusing that hard it means that there is a lot to take into consideration and it's taking a lot of energy. The glyph is a necromancy spell.”

“That's right! Maria I'm sure you know that the alterations to a faelom's body typically takes place slowly over years or decades. If they're going to speed the process up to months they have to have some safe guards in place to insure that you survive or in other words insure that your body doesn't just melt due to all the rapid changes. You can only work on so many walls or structural supports at any given time unless you put temporary supports in place.”

“So what's the flask for?”

“That's just there to test if they've done the spell right. Um they're not.” Naidra gave a small smile. This was their first attempt after all and while the three men understood what they're doing on an intellectual level that didn't mean they were ready to put it into practice.

“How good are they doing?”

“Well they're getting results but not the type of results they want. They're each working on a rather advanced potion that uses mystic energies to heavily augment the body. Dan is putting too much energy into his casting. The result will be unstable. Anyone drinking it would benefit from it physically but their dominant emotions at the time would be pushed to a fever level.”

For a moment Maria said nothing but then looked to Dan. “Dan you need to calm down a bit! Think of when you're playing with Dremera and how easy it'd be to exhaust yourself if you tried to keep up with her.”

Chapter 47 by happiest_in_shadows

Naidra was rather surprised and a bit worried when she looked to Dan. Her mouth nearly dropped open whenever she noticed Dan's energy fluctuate and the potion began to boil rapidly. For an instant it seemed Maria had spoiled the potion by distracting him then suddenly the boiling stopped and she watched the color quickly soften. It wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it was a big and sudden step in the right direction. “Well that was impressive.”

“Joseph stop trying to fix everything that might go wrong and let it play out a bit! I swear if you acted that way when we made love you'd never get me off!” Maria gave a slight giggle whenever she noticed a change in Joseph's potion she was a bit alarmed though whenever she noticed a red hue developing in the potion. “Did I just cause him to slip up?”

“No!” Naidra gave a slight chuckle. “How did you do that?”

“Oh I just know Joseph. He get's so busy worrying about what might go wrong at times that he ends up solving a problem that never comes to pass or tries to. I'm just glad they're enough real problems for him to work on that it keeps him busy. I think it has even rubbed off on me as I find myself worrying about what he's going to do whenever he can't think of any real problems to solve. The ones he might end up imagining could be rather crazy. Okay now.”

There wasn't time for Maria to speak as Alaina stepped into the room. After seeing how Dan and Joseph responded to her there was no way she was going to let her take care of Ridon. That was her job. Part of her was amazed though. The protectors had known it was best to keep quiet and let them focus on the task at hand. Then Maria had started shouting and suddenly their performance had improved. “Ridon you can't be lead to an answer you have to forge your own path to it.” Alaina couldn't help but giggle as she placed a hand on Maria's shoulder. A nervous feeling swelled up within her as she watched Ridon beginning to struggle with his flask. She knew that Ridon wasn't the alchemist Joseph and Dan were but they weren't the mage he was either.

Maria couldn't help but smile as she looked at Naidra. “There is a difference between being annoying and encouraging.  I wish we had Mina in here I'm sure she'd know exactly what buttons to push to bring out Dan's best.”

For a moment Naidra said nothing but then gave her head a slight nod. Quietly supporting their creators had been their rolls for so long. Had this been a mistake? Some Luvarians would ask them for feedback from time to time. Perhaps they should have been more forthcoming with their input or even some quiet words of encouragement. “You have a point.”

***********************************************************************************

“Ouch.” Was all Dan could manage as Mina removed the cup from his mouth. It had been a long time since he'd last used alchemy like that. It had been during a war when the demand for healing potions had been very high. He had been working for extended hours to meet demand to make potion after potion. The energy constantly running through his body having to be shaped took its toll on him. Working on the exalted will potion had taken a heavy toll on him. He doubted that he could make two in a single day with his current abilities. It was nice to have his head laying against Mina's  leg though and he smiled up at her whenever he opened his eyes.

“It was that difficult huh?” As she spoke Mina reached out and picked up the potion Dan had been working on. It was a soft purple rather then the far darker color it had held before. At least that is what she had been told. Mina had still been told not to let anyone drink it. The protectors believed that Dan might want to take a moment to look at his handiwork once he felt up to the task. She didn't think he was ready for that just yet as his eyes closed.

“It's far harder to make that then I imagined it was.” They were potions to bolster ones strength, endurance and even intelligence for a short time. The exalted will was a bit different as if done right it was meant to bolster everything about a person's being. It could even amplify ones ability to cast magic spells for a short time. Normally such a powerful potion would be more likely to kill anyone drinking it then help them. It had to be carefully refined so that it would be taken into the drinkers body as if it had always been a part of them. It had to be able to mix almost perfectly with the mystic energies of nearly anyone who drank it. It had to be dynamic. The potion was well beyond anything that Dan had ever made or could have made before.

“It looks pretty tasty! I asked Naidra if I could have a sip and she told me no.”

“Did she say it was dangerous?” Dan could remember Maria offering him advice. He had tried to take it though it had been difficult. He wasn't surprised to hear things hadn't worked out despite his efforts. It was his first time working with this level of alchemy. The notion that it could be harmful to something as well built as a faelom especially to someone as well built as Mina was rather surprising though. If one of them couldn't drink it safely he knew that a human couldn't handle it.

“Actually she said you should examine it once you're feeling better and compared it to the standard.”

“So she didn't tell you what we needed to work on?”

“No. But don't worry. I like the color of the one you made more then the one she did.” As she spoke Mina slipped her hands underneath Dan and lifted him slightly so she could bend down and place a kiss upon his lips. It was something of a surprise whenever he set up after being placed on the ground again.

“She made one of them?” Dan didn't need to look around. He noticed Joseph was setting a ways off with Maria and didn't seem to be doing any better then he was. After a moment though he noticed there was a flask setting upon his glyph. While it wasn't a detailed examination the coloration seemed to be perfect. There was also a similar flask on Joseph and Ridon's glyphs. “Hey so we made the glyphs right at least!”

“You were worried about that to?” Joseph had a grin on his face as Maria carried him over to Dan and Mina. He actually felt like he could walk but Maria wasn't going to allow it. Unlike Dan he was holding his results in his hands.

“Yeah. So how did yours turn out?”

“Well it's quite a bit redder then I expected it to be.”

“Given that it wasn't suppose to be the least bit red how red is that exactly?”

In response to Dan's question Joseph held the flask up for him to see. While the potion was nearly the same color as the one Naidra had made there was a red fog that drifted around it. In a few places the fog would part and you could see the color of the majority of the potion but for the most part the fog was there. “I'm guessing that fog isn't a good thing. Maria did Naidra give you any idea as to what influence these would have?”

To this Maria gave a nod. “ Yeah she told me. Dan apparently yours is a bit of an emotional amplifier. Let's say for example. You were feeling scared or desperate whenever you drank your potion. That feeling of fear and desperation would become even worse. So despite your increased abilities you could end up using them to flee the location. Joseph Naidra said you made a very nice blood eater. The potion would apparently consume some of the person's life energy in order to extend its own duration and make it stronger.” Maria had a wide grin on her face as the two men looked at one another.

Dan. “I don't believe I'll be using mine.”

Joseph, “Yeah.”

Mina, “I'm glad you settled on that. Now let's get these put away and you can study them later. Maria I'll grab the one Naidra made for Ridon as well and put it away. We need to get these two somewhere that they can relax. I hope Dremera doesn't over react whenever she sees you Dan.” Mina could hear the change in Dan's heart rate and knew he was worried as well. For her part Mina didn't like seeing Dan in such poor condition but understood that he was safe. If he wanted to push himself this hard she didn't mind as long as he didn't do it more then twice a week. She would not tolerate him constantly straining his body.

***********************************************************************************

Fera felt rather awkward as she set within her room. The old Luvarian storage area seemed like it had shrunk based on how close her head was to the ceiling. There was still room enough for her but that wasn't why she felt strange. Her plan to move to the waterfront hadn't gone as she had planned. She had been confronted by several of the guardians who wanted to know what she was doing. When she told them she had been practically ordered back to her room to unpack. The vote for what they should do with those who exceeded twenty meters tall had not even happened yet. Until then they wanted as many faelom as possible there to debate the issue and come up with the best possible solution. Their argument had made sense so she had complied. Besides technically a few dozen guardians had the authority to even tell a matron what to do as long as it didn't violate other guidelines.

“So I heard you tried to skip out on us.”

“Hey Sora. I was just trying to do what was necessary.” Fera was one of the few faelom that didn't need Sora to make herself visible to see her. She was a bit surprised whenever Sora did so anyway and unwrapped her tail. She had been concealing Mirin's presence.

“Good evening Fera. So did you see me?”

For a moment Fera said nothing. She was actually rather surprised to realize Sora had been carrying Mirin. “Hey Mirin. I didn't even see you there. So what brings both of you to see me. If you're going to try to talk me into staying and waiting for an official decision don't worry about it. I'll wait.”

Mirin gave a slight nod. “That's good to hear but that's not the only reason. Sora wanted to see if she could walk around and keep me hidden as well now even from your eyes. Well that and I wanted to talk to you about your plans once you reach the waterfront.”

“Well you have your answer to the first question.” For a moment Fera said nothing. “Currently my plan is to make myself a home on the beach. I don't believe I'm large enough to make use of an island. Then I'm going to start taking some swimming lessons and try my hand at fishing. I figure these eyes of mine can see fine underwater so I should be able to find some nice catches. I'll also be able to protect the waterfront village though with Zarena living there I doubt that will be needed.”

“I see. Well Jess and Lenard said not to take off before they have a chance to speak with you as well. They apparently have some intentions of her own.”

Fera felt rather strange as she heard the name of two of her more intimate friends. She slept with both of them from time to time and they were both close to her. She wouldn't have called either of them her mate but they were most assuredly friends. “Blast it. I didn't even stop to talk to them whenever I planned to move. I guess I forgot that whenever I move I'm going to be leaving more things behind then my room.”

“Well I believe it's more like you need to think of things you're going to be taking with you.”

“Huh?”

Sora gave a slight chuckle. “They want to talk about making a major effort to build a new research facility on the waterfront. Actually they had a lot to say about being left out of the loop. Don't you believe that some of us would prefer to live close to you? These types of decision aren't just about you after all. We have a lot of time and energy invested into these relationships and don't want to see them just end like that either. Well they said something like that. In truth I believe they were both pretty mad whenever they learned you'd planned just to walk out.”

For a moment Fera said nothing but then gave a slight chuckle. “Lenard is going to yell at me.”

Sora, “Huh? Soft spoken Lenard?”

“Get him upset over something he really cares about and see how soft spoken he is.” Fera continued to grin as she remembered her friend. “Yeah I should have told them my plans instead of just preparing to leave like that. Mirin how could they talk about building a new research facility on the waterfront though? From what I've been told you've closed ranks on what projects are currently being worked on.”

To this Mirin gave a nod. “We have. We've had to. After all they're some things that just need to be completed now. With the faelom planning to spread out we have to make sure that we can still supply you. This includes designing the planned roads for easy transportation. That said necessary facilities at these new locations are part of that plan. When Sora said they want to talk about a major effort to build a research facility she perhaps didn't use the best words. We're planning and designing certain structures to be build at the waterfront and trade towns. Those two are wanting to make sure there is going to be a new laboratory built there. After all. We've studied how all the alchemical plants in the forest have influenced the water and the fish that swim in them. What about how the runoff has influenced the ocean dwelling life forms?”

Sora could see Fera giving a slight shrug and gave her friend a smile. “He gets like that at time. Don't worry he's not actually asking you a question he's just saying that there is a good argument for researching it. I believe Jeff and Lenard also want to talk to you about living accommodations. It's something of a concern really. What happens if a lot of the brothers want to move with their lovers and especially their mates. You know Dan and Joseph would move if Mina and Maria had to.”

Mirin, “I'll also be going with you Sora whenever you leave even if transportation isn't possible yet.”

Sora, “Mirin we've had that conversation. Even if we have to be apart for a time it's best that you stay and continue your work.”

“I'm not going to be any good at my work without you near by.”

“Ah that's sweet! But you're being difficult.” Sora gave Mirin a kiss on the head despite her words. “I believe we forgot that our moving affects more then just us.”

“Yeah that's true.” A sigh escaped Fera as she shook her head. “What a mess we're walking into. Can't we just use the design from the first laboratory we built?”

Mirin, “With everything we've learned from the citadel! No! No. Nooooo.” As he spoke Mirin shook his head and his hands as if to make his point extra clear. “That would just be a huge waste of resources.

Fera gave a slight giggle as she watched Mirin. “Well okay but keep in mind we're all on a deadline.”

“Yeah. I swear have you noticed that the better things become for us the more rushed we are? The slow pace of centuries past is just gone.”

***********************************************************************************

“Dremera daddy isn't going anywhere. You can go play with your toys and I'll still be here when you get back.” Dan gave a sigh as his daughter continued to set and watch him. She had become quite alarmed whenever Mina had brought him in and tried to share her food and drink with him several times. He was glad she had only tried to share those things that were safe for a brother to eat. Apparently she had already learned that her father had a very selective diet. She had even brought him the treat candies that he made for her. He wasn't hungry though he just needed to rest.

There was no move on Dremera's part to leave as she continued to lay by her father. She wasn't certain what had injured him but she could easily hear that his body wasn't performing like it was suppose to. His voice was also weak. She would have to learn how her mother convinced him to eat whenever she brought him a bowl of soup. Perhaps it had something to do with the soup itself. In his weakened conditioned her father might have trouble chewing or digesting solid food. That or perhaps her mother simply would have forced him to eat and her father knew that so he didn't resist. Dremera wasn't certain what one it was but she felt better after her father had eaten.

“Dan are you certain that you shouldn't just drink a potion to remove toxins from your body and then a restorative? I hate to see you like this and it would get you back on your feet faster.” Mina knew that Dan hated to waste resources. Using such potions to heal something that would be recovered from by a few hours of laying and just relaxing wasn't in his nature. 

“I'm sure Mina.” Dan was about to continue whenever he felt Dremera placing her arms around him and settling her head on his chest. For a moment he just lay there before placing his hand on her head. “You know Dremera even daddy is going to get hurt every once in a while. At times some injuries are a good thing.” Dan tried to convey what he was saying through his tone of voice. Dremera was learning at a remarkable rate. She had picked up on the meaning of certain words though she wasn't able to understand full sentences yet. It was remarkable.

“I'm afraid you're going to have to wait a little longer before you can explain that to her.” Mina didn't bother asking Dan if he wanted her to refill his cup. Even if he didn't want to make use of a potion clean water was a good way to help flush toxins from his body. So will making more of those potions really help you develop I guess you might say more mystic muscles?”

“It will but well it's more an issue of knowledge then anything else. I wouldn't have had to push myself so hard if I actually knew what I was doing. It's like being thrown into a pond but you're not quite certain how to swim. You put a lot more energy in keeping yourself afloat then you really need to and tire yourself quickly. In this case I managed to madly flail about until I reached my target.” A sigh escaped Dan as he set up and took another drink of water. Fortunately Dremera was being cooperative as far as that went. “I had seen the correct form but I wasn't quite able to duplicate it.”

“I can understand that. As my body became heavier I had to work out new ways of swimming.” Mina chose to settle down just behind her daughter and placed a hand upon her back. Dremera responded well to this. “What did you learn from this attempt at swimming?”

“I'm pushing too hard. I end up pushing too hard then I have to pull back and that waste even more energy. I need to be a bit gentle in my approach but I can't be too gentle. They're a lot of reactions going on in that flask at the same time and I need to insure some of them finish before others do.”

“Any good comparisons you'd make to that?”

“Dancing. I need to complete my moves while making sure my partner completes her moves or has the freedom to do so. At the same time they're dozens of dancers all around us and we all have to make sure we're moving in unison to avoid stepping on anyone's toes. I believe playing music with others would be a fair comparison as well.” As Dan rubbed Dremera's head he lightly tickled the tip of her ear. He didn't want his daughter to feel she needed to stay with him the entire time. He didn't want her feeling sad either. It was nice whenever she gave a slight giggle and tried to shake his hand off though she didn't try very hard. “That's my girl.”

“Maria told me about offering you, Joseph and Ridon some encouragement from the sidelines. Did you hear her?”

“Yes and it really helped. Wasn't Alaina the one that helped Ridon though?

“Whoops that's right.”

“I guess playing with Dremera helped me out quite a bit. I know I can't put all my energy into the game or I'll just end up burning out. I just need to put enough energy into it to insure she's engaged in the game and no more. That lets me make sure we can have fun for a long time.”

“I can think of something else that requires careful control of how much you exert yourself.” As she looked over her daughter at her husband Mina gave Dan a rather large grin.

“Very true! But I'm rather glad Maria didn't use that example. It could have been more distracting then helpful.”

“You're probably right.”

***********************************************************************************

Zarena watched the ship carefully for any sign that it might be sinking. Currently Nathan was on the ship but that wasn't really why she was watching it so carefully. She didn't want them to have to wait for the ship to empty out of water because it sunk again. Instead of loading the ship with cargo they had a few faelom riding to provide some additional weight but it was weight that could carry itself if need be. This also provided an added level of safety if the ship should come under attack though Zarena couldn't imagine that happening especially with her standing in the water near it. “How are things going?”

Currently Daniel was at the ships helm. It wasn't his first time but it wasn't an experience he was use to. He had always been told a captain needed to be able to drive the ship with his feet. Unfortunately he wasn't that proficient at feeling the ships movements yet and it had been years since he'd been on one. “I believe that the waters are too calm. We're not going to get a good test in with oceans like this.”

“I thought the whole point was to test the ship in calm waters.”

“There is calm and there is this. It's a bit much. Do you believe you could create some waves for us Zarena?”

It hadn't taken long for Daniel to become comfortable around Zarena. She imagined it had a lot to do with his experience as a claimed then his decision to stay behind and learn. She was glad he hadn't been injured in the escape attempt of several years back. “Okay let me know when the waves are right.” Zarena had to bend down a bit to lower herself in the water. Currently the depth was only forty meters so they ship didn't have too far to sink if it did go under. Placing her arms under the water Zarena pushed outward creating a gentle swell that rocked the ships.

“Yeah that's good! Just stay around there.”

“Okay. Hey Nathan how are you doing?”

Nathan's response was rather slow in coming. While to Daniel the ship had been nice and calm Nathan didn't share in that belief. The slight rocking of the waves was unsettling to him and in truth he was becoming rather sick. He had been so excited whenever the ship had just pushed into the water and he felt the gentle rocking. Soon after the excitement had began to fade though he had began feeling sick and he had only been feeling sicker and sicker with every passing minute. Now with the ship openly rocking with the waves he was having trouble not leaning over the guard rial. “I'm doing fine Zarena!”

That was a lie. Zarena could tell that Nathan's passion for sailing was rapidly vanishing. “Are you sure? You're looking a little green.”

Daniel, “Not everyone is cut out for sailing. I don't know what it is but some of the toughest people I know just get sick whenever they feel the ship rocking and rolling underneath them. How are you ladies doing anyway?”

Kersara, “We're good! I think!” For a moment Kersara went silent and looked around at her fellow faelom in the cargo hold. They looked at one another then looked back at her each giving a slight shrug. Even she wasn't certain what they should say about this. In truth she was rather board. They couldn't see the ocean and the light rocking of the ship didn't seem like anything to get excited about. “Okay we're board.”

“Well. I believe that's natural for cargo.”

Nathan had to take a moment to steady himself and just close his eyes. He didn't want to admit it but he felt sick. Riding a ship was clearly very difference from being carried by Zarena. Even in the open ocean Zarena was simply more stable then the ship was and the vessel didn't offer the same feeling of security she did. “Okay Zarena I believe I'm ready to get off.”

Zarena, “Oh don't give up yet! I'm sure you'll get used to it. Right Daniel?”

“Um well in a few days or weeks maybe. Typically if you can tough it out you adapt. If you are getting off I believe you should do so now though.”

Nathan, “Yeah. Zarena pick me up. I'm ready to get off.”

That was a bit disappointing. Nathan had been so excited to be one of the first brothers to go sailing before. She hated to see him give up on that because of some sea sickness. At least he could say that he was one of the first brothers to learn he became sea sick on a ship. She wondered how many of the brothers would be similar. “Well okay.”

***********************************************************************************

It had actually alarmed Durin whenever he'd been confronted by several faelom. Granted whenever he entered their forest they always came out to meet him. This time they seemed more numerous but that could just be because they were much larger then he remembered them. That was painfully obvious. They didn't look angry though which was always a good sign. He didn't seem to be the only one that was nervous though as he noted his animals responding to their increased size as well as his workers. “Greetings lassies.”

Alexa, “Welcome back Durin! It's been a long while since we last saw you.”

“Ah yes. There have been some wee issues in the great houses as of late. Some questions about where my goods come from and what has happened to some of the competition. It's all very distracting. Mighten I know what has been happening since my last visit?”

“Oh lots of things! Well first I should say. Relax! We're very glad to see you and don't mean you any harm. We do need to talk to you about a little something. Well we've been talking with everyone that has a trade agreement with us about future plans.” Alexa could understand Durin being nervous. For the most part the faelom did not change. With so many drastic changes happening so quickly though it was natural that some would be nervous. 

For a moment Durin did nothing but then he gave a laugh. “It was that obvious we were a bit on edge?”

“Yes. Hey Durin you've met us before is there something we don't know about going on in the outside world?”

“Aye there is lassie. There have been talk about you leaving your forest and even about you working on some ships with the orcs. It has some people on edge. There are even stories about one of you swimming around in the ocean just as big as an entire fleet by herself.” Durin had lived as one of the claimed he knew how the faelom could grow. The notion of one of them as large as an entire fleet of ships seemed silly even after everything he had seen. He also knew how carefully they managed their growth. Whenever he considered how large Alexa was part of him had to wonder about that old assumption.

“Oh Zarena! Well she is big but I wouldn't say as big as an entire fleet of ships. I guess people like to exaggerate a bit. The ship we built is actually a bit longer then she is tall after all.” It was clear to Alexa that Durin was surprised. “Come on Durin you learned about the sleepers whenever you were with us.”

“Indeed I did and I also learned about what it took to awaken one of them. What's going on?” Durin was actually rather worried. He had three good reasons to be. He was in the forest right now and he didn't know if it was safe, one of his best trade partners could be in great danger and he still had rather fond feelings for the faelom despite having been a claimed. If they were in trouble he would need to help how he was able.

“We had an internal problem with a rogue spirit. Don't worry that entire mess has been taken care of. We just decided to keep Zarena awake due to some new mystic knowledge we've came into. Well we've come into a lot of things really. Okay now it's my turn. Durin we need to talk to you about our trade agreement and how things are going to be changing. Those stories about us leaving the forest are true. We're going to be setting up some trade settlements soon or we hope to. They're a few things that still need worked out. Namely we need to buy the land and we want you to help in that.” Alexa wasn't surprised whenever Durin didn't respond immediately. She could tell he was thinking as the dwarf began to stroke his beard.

“You want me to buy the land for you. Then turn the land over to you. I am assuming that I'm not suppose to make a fuss whenever you take the land. You know Alexa that would make it very clear that I have a working relationship with you.” Durin chose not to mention the danger that would put him in. He was certain that they already realized how dangerous such a move could be.

“We're aware of that and it's why we're prepared to talk price. How much would it cost to make it worth the danger. Well the danger and the possible need to relocate. We understand that after revealing such a thing you might not be welcome in your home anymore.”

“Indeed that is true but first Lass. Let's talk a little about these towns of yours and then we can discuss price.”

***********************************************************************************

“So he wants a home in the northern settlement with business rights in the northern and ocean front town.” It was Julia who spoke but several brothers were rather surprised by Alexa's news. Currently a small numbers of keepers and higher ranked faelom were gathered within one of the citadel's meeting rooms. Each one of them knew of the protectors secret. Each one of them was rather well respected and had a lot of influence in the community.

“That's right Sis. He said that he wanted to invest in our community. Durin apparently thinks it could be quite profitable to him. I was rather shocked to. Oh he also wanted to talk about the mystic training we're providing to former claimed who agree to stay. I don't believe he's interested in it for his own sake but apparently he has some ideas in mind. That and he wants to talk to us about charging a rate for training in magecraft, alchemy and well several other things. He's of the opinion we're sharing our knowledge too freely.” As she finished speaking Alexa gave a slight shrug. She felt rather strange about the entire situation. Durin wasn't one of the claimed anymore and he wasn't a brother but he was talking very similar to how brothers did.

Nathan, “I see. So where is Durin now?”

“We brought him into the village. He seemed a little surprised to see how it'd grown. You should have seen Nora whenever she spotted him. I guess she was more fond of him then even she realized from the way she hugged him. Well actually a few of the other faelom seemed eager to greet him.”

Julia, “I guess that shouldn't be surprising. He was a claimed that could have became a brother but chose to leave. How often do they actually return to the village for a visit?”

“That is true. Plus he's always trading with us. I guess they're going to bias towards someone that brings them good things instead of constantly taking from the forest. Even if it was through trade.”

To this Mirin gave a nod. “”Well it isn't like we would have trouble meeting his request. Plus his help in buying the land would be significant. I never thought about not allowing others to create businesses within our communities if they could afford the land and a shop though. From the way Durin is talking it seems he believes they'll be restrictions.”

Alexa, “I told him that! Then he said that there will be restrictions. Even if we don't believe there will be someone will do something stupid or a group of merchants will begin fighting with one another and we'll have to make restrictions. Apparently he's very confident that general foolishness will force our hands.”

It was impossible for Mina to keep from laughing. “That sounds like Durin. Someone is going to get caught in those gears. I don't care how obvious they are someone is not going to be paying attention and they're going to get caught.”

Joseph, “Was he right about that?”

Alexa, “Yes! He was very right about that. Fortunately Stella was close by and managed to stop them before the claimed was killed but she ended up breaking the gears in the process. Whenever they were rebuilt we had them covered to prevent future mistakes.”

Mirin gave a sigh and closed his eyes while leaning his head back. “That is rather depressing to be honest with you. Joseph what are your thoughts on this?”

“I was never really part of the entire merchant ordeal. I know that cities did have restrictions on who could open up businesses there. Often the fees were quite high. It was all a matter of limited space, the shop owners wanting to keep competition down and well you had to be worried about people's intentions whenever they opened a store as well. A lot more could happen inside of a shop then simply exchange of goods.”

Dan, “That's true. Giving people good prices can do a lot to get them on your side which helps with making other changes. You may think that it's just a business but then you find out they're making some deals as well. In the outside world money and goods are a form of power all by themselves.”

Mirin, “I see. Yet more things to consider. Well I believe this is a decision we're capable of making ourselves. Still, let's go speak with Durin about his actual plans. We also need to know what he believes the cost of the land is going to be.”

***********************************************************************************

“So how long do I have?” Maria had a wide smile on her face as Lestel examined her stomach. Due to her body being larger then what faelom had in generations it was hard for other faelom to be certain of how far into her pregnancy she was. The protectors were a more reliable source of information.

“Well I don't want you leaving the citadel anymore if that tells you anything. I believe you may begin birthing anytime within the next three weeks.”

“Three weeks? You can't narrow it down anymore then that?”

“The first week is highly unlikely. The second week is extremely likely and the third is highly unlikely but almost guaranteed if things reach that point. Is that a better answer for you?” Lestel gave Maria a wide grin. She knew that Maria wanted an exact day answer but that wasn't something Lestel was prepared to give her whenever it came to such matters. The rather annoyed look Maria gave her only served to make the situation more amusing.

“Well if that's the best answer you can give. Lestel I'm going to have my own little boy to raise soon! I can't weight to hold him in my hands.” As she spoke Maria placed her hands on her stomach. “I'm going through a lot for you. I hope you know that and know that I love you. I know it's a bit early but I still haven't decided if I want him to be an alchemist like his father or if I want him to learn to use magic. I believe Joseph already is planning for him to become an alchemist.”

“Don't you believe that should be left up to Ethan? After all forcing your brothers or in your case son into a roll seems like past behavior.”

“Well he's going to have a say in it of course. Still we can get him started on the right path. Now one thing we both agree on is he's going to have to learn to read and channel mystic energies. After all alchemy and magecraft both require those skills. He's going to need mathematics of course and he's going to need to learn his people's history. I bet he won't believe me whenever I first tell him there was a time whenever few faelom were allowed to grow to four meters tall. The time of hunger is just going to be a story to him.”

“What are you going to do whenever he tells you that he wants to be with a woman he can protect?” Lestel wasn't surprised whenever she heard Maria's heart rate speed up. Naturally she would think of her son being with another faelom whenever she imagined him in a relationship. “You know with the society opening up to the outside world some may choose they would rather to be with a more delicate lady they can protect then a faelom.”

For a moment Maria said nothing. Unlike with another faelom she didn't have the speed advantage she did over the protectors. So she knew Lestel would notice the pause. That didn't matter though as she carefully considered the question. “I will be sure to teach him the best way to protect something is to strengthen it. So if he wants to protect his lady he should help to make her stronger. That doesn't mean he can't become stronger as well and the best way for him to grow stronger is to learn to tap into his spiritual strength either through magecraft or alchemy.” Maria gave Lestel a rather large grin.

“Oh so you've considered that question before! What if he wants a lady he's more powerful then though?”

“Well then rather then looking for a weak woman I would suggest he gets his rear in gear and develops some power himself. After all eventually our bodies will be a reflection of our spiritual strength. After all you said it. Our bodies can sense the energy our spirit should be able to provide them with and that's what it seeks to achieve. Well it will be more difficult but there is no reason my son can't learn to achieve his maximum potential either and unlike a faelom he has some real choice in how he does that. Now don't you even suggest that my son is going to be weak of spirit either.” This time as she spoke Maria pointed her right index finger at Lestel. She might not be able to take a protector yet but she wasn't going to have one speaking ill of her son.

Now Lestel gave a slight chuckle. She didn't mind that Maria was defending her son. So far her answers had been quite good and more then a little amusing to the protector. They were other things to consider of course. “You really want your son to pick from among the faelom?”

“Of course! Any children of his will be a faelom if they're female. It would be more then a little difficult to find a human female that's capable of carrying one of them. He would at least need to be with one of the orcs if that was going to be the case.”

“You make a very good point. So would you be happy with his mate if she could carry a faelom to term?”

“If she can comfortably carry a daughter to term and raise her then I would have no complaints. If his mate is a faelom or not his daughters are going to be one of us and that will add to our numbers. I just want to make sure that he's with someone that can keep him safe or at least not be a burden. If he's going to to mate with someone that's weaker then a faelom though he had better be sure he's strong enough to protect himself and her.” By now Maria had once again taken on a relaxed seating position feeling comfortable with her responses. She couldn't help but wonder how Joseph would respond to these questions. What kind of mate did he want for their son?

After a moment Lestel settled down next to Maria. “I believe you're going to be a superb mother.”

“I hope so. I know my mom was so I've got a lot to live up to.”

***********************************************************************************

“Well that didn't take long!” Kelah didn't even try to hide her amusement as she looked at the foundation Zarena had dug out for the latest building project. It was going to be a joint effort between the orcs and Luvarians. A sort of magic and spirit research hall, storehouse and library. Once the location had been chosen Zarena had offered to clear it and dig down to the required depth for the foundation. It had taken her roughly ten minutes and that was only because she was being careful.

“I know! I had hoped it would take a little longer.” A sigh escaped Zarena but she continued to smile. She had come to like the orcs though she had never been hostile towards them. Kelah she saw more like a sister. This actually caused problems at times whenever Kelah would talk about her dealings with Nightfang. Part of Zarena wanted to snatch her up and take her to the citadel to see if there was a way to undo and replace her contract. She didn't like the idea that one of her sisters were bound to some external power. Kelah would often mention that it was a contract and Nightfang had responsibilities to her as well but Zarena still didn't like it at times.

“So what are you going to do now? I'm guessing you're going to retrieve the stone.”

“No. Nathans wants to try growing the stone.”

“Grow stone?” Due to her relationship with the spirits Kelah had no trouble thinking of the ground as alive or at least part of a living being. Despite that at times the things the Luvarians would say were extremely strange. Now the notion of growing stone seemed even more unusual then normal. “What do you mean by grow stone?”

“You've been told about the citadel. Well the entire structure is made from a sort of living stone. It literally heals itself after it has been damaged and can feel. Those who are in tune with the citadel can actually feel what it feels. It can even adapt. You know how your skin will grow thicker and tougher on your hands if you regularly do hard work.” Zarena wasn't actually certain that was a good comparison. She had seen such things with brothers. Those brothers who began training with melee weapons and the spirit hunters being trained by Julia now. The orcs were used to rough treatment though.

“Yeah. Like whenever I first began to learn to use my axes.” For a moment Kelah said nothing but looked down at her hands opening and closing them a few times. “I swear after the first week of training with them I worried that I wouldn't be able to dip them in water without washing a layer of skin away.”

“Really? I didn't expect that. You always struck me as always well built.”

“I was! These things take an extra toll on the user though.” As she spoke Kelah grabbed both of the bone axes by the hilt. “They're sharper then any of our other weapons but they're heavier to. So using them properly required me to develop my upper body strength even beyond what it was. I also have to make sure I can stop myself and redirect my swings and that's when they really begin to take the hide of your hands. Now getting back to something important. So they're really growing the stone. How does that work? Can you tell the difference between this grown stone and natural stone?”

“All I can say is alchemy and magic. From what I was told. Mind you I wasn't there for the actual meeting. They talked about taking some stone from the citadel and growing it but realized that wouldn't work. Stone of that quality is beyond our ability to make. So they're working with a simpler solution.”

“In that case where are they growing it and can I see it? I mean are they going to bring some stone seeds here and just plant them in the hole you dug?”

For a moment Zarena opened her mouth to respond but then closed it. “I have no idea! I didn't think to actually ask about it. I'm guessing they're having to grow them in some alchemical solution but are they going to send sections down here as its grown?” Zarena gave a slight giggle as she realized how many questions she hadn't bothered to ask Nathan. “Sorry Kelah you're going to have to grab one of the mages if you want a more detailed answer and I'm not sure if they would be able to provide one.”

“Well that gives me something to talk about later. So when is Fera going to get here? I mean to stay. I noticed her visiting a few times.”

“She's ready to make the move except she has to wait until our laboratory is ready. They're a few brothers that want to make the move with her and they can't until it's ready so they won't be abandoning their work. Kelah I've asked a few of them but I want to ask you. How do the orcs feel about living among us like this?”

“They're fine with it. Being on friendly terms with you is better then having you watch us from the shadows judging us.” Kelah gave a slight chuckle when Zarena didn't show the usual surprise most faelom would. Zarena had always seen them as respectable beings it seemed but simply done what she believed was necessary. At times the other faelom tended to see them more like animals then fellow sentient beings. “They're eager to learn more of your knowledge.”

“We're eager to benefit from yours as well. Are any concerned about us opening up trade again with the outside world?”

“Some of us are. It's kind of funny. Several of us are rather worried about you showing favoritism or the new comers invading our territory.”

“Well if they do invade orc territory you know you can do with them as you see fit. We require you to take care of the sections of forest that you use but otherwise they're yours to do with as you will.” Zarena hoped the orcs wouldn't become uncomfortable about defending their lands. If the humans managed to make their way past the faelom and tried to take from the orcs she had no issue with them defending themselves and their land. Hopefully no humans would be foolish enough to leave whatever regions were assigned for their use.

“I know. It's just after finally managing to really better our relationship we're worried how outsiders might influence it. Well they're other things to. I mean. Did you know my tribe hasn't had any encounters with orcs that weren't born within the forest in over eight hundred years? Even those we did interact with before were very limited. The last ones were a group of orc children that you brought to us.”

For a moment Zarena went silent and began to tap her forehead. “I'm afraid I don't remember that event.”

“Well it wasn't you exactly the Luvarians. I'm not sure about the details but somehow you ended up with some orc children. From what the history says we actually had to argue with the faelom of the time for quite a while in order to get the children. The faelom that were taking care of them had became very attached to them and fully intended to raise them as their own.”

“How did you convince them to let you have the children! I know what my sisters are like and once one of them decides that a child is hers she does not part with that child easily. Typically death is the only thing that will convince her to do so or the child reaching adulthood.”

“Apparently they argued the nature of the orcs. They argued that they had raised human children before and children of their own kind. However, while we are all three intelligent species we don't have the same natures. They argued your society wasn't suited to an orcs happiness and they would always feel like an outsider. I don't know the fine details but that is the major points.” Kelah was actually surprised to see a thoughtful look on Zarena's face. Whenever she didn't say anything Kelah had to speak up. “What?”

“I don't mean to insult your historians Kelah but I don't believe that. I can see your points but that isn't the type of reasoning that would convince us of much especially to give up a child. I can't help but believe more was going on at the time. I wonder what that was.” As Zarena looked down at her tiny friend she couldn't help but wonder. What would have the orcs said to convince the faelom to hand over a child? One possibility was that the child would have already been relatively old. They could have argued the culture of the orcs would be more natural to them. It was quite likely that the faelom who had taken the children as their own would have believed they could watch the children and insure they grew up happy. “Well anyway. What was the differences between your people and these outsider orcs?”

“Well for one thing they were much older then we believed them to be. It was the first time we realized that those of us born in the forest grew much larger then those that live outside of it. They were also. Hey! Did your ancestors think we'd just give them back whenever we realized how much weaker then us they are!” Kelah couldn't help the energy in her voice. Suddenly she felt very offended and more then a little ready to hit someone. If one of those ancient faelom had been standing before her she probably would have.

Zarena tensed up for a moment. She could hear the anger in Kelah's voice and could understand it. “Well first of all. They're not my ancestors. I predate them. I was just asleep during that time. As for if they expected you to give the children back. That could have been it. They may have even wanted the young orcs to see what living with you was like. Perhaps they believed the children would be unhappy with you and gladly return to them. If they didn't give them this chance they might have feared the children would resent them for it. That does sound more like the sisters I know.”  Zarena could tell Kelah was actually annoyed by this but she wasn't going to lie about the situation. She couldn't be certain either way but if she had to make a guess the faelom would have expected the children to want to return to them. The fact that they didn't spoke well of how the orcs treated the newcomers.

“Well we showed them! They stayed with us and even now traces of those outsiders can still be found in our community.” Kelah gave Zarena a wide smile as she considered that the orc children had chosen to remain with them even when the faelom had expected them to be unhappy. While Kelah didn't know every detail the history she did know said they grew up to be happy among the forest orcs.

“How so?”

“Well for a while one way you could determine if someone had descended from one of those outside orcs was their size and strength. That doesn't work anymore these days. One clear determining factor though is if you have gray skin or a patch of gray skin. Now not all those that descend from the outsiders have gray skin but if you do then you clearly do.”

“I see! I noticed some of you weren't all green but I never thought to ask why. What about you Kelah?” As she spoke Zarena began to settle down. She had no intention of going anywhere or doing anything and it seemed like this conversation would go on for quite some. So she settled down and let her elbows sink into the earth as well as her breasts.

With Zarena settling down Kelah took on a seated position. It made it easier to look up at the massive faelom. “I don't have any outsider blood in me. Not that having outsider blood in you is considered well anything. It's an area of light conversation. Oh you have a patch of gray skin you must descend from the last outsiders. That's pretty much the extent of the conversations when it comes to such things. They've been combining their blood with ours for so long that I'm surprised any gray skin even remains.”

“It must be a dominant trait in order to remain for so long. Well that's what I'm guessing. I'm certain that one of the Luvarians can tell you what it is. Oh that feels so strange!” Zarena arched her back for a moment pressing her breasts more firmly into the earth. She felt the ground shift and yield to her chest while she stretched and looked up at the sky. “I never thought I would end up calling our brothers Luvarians.”

“You think it's strange to you? We always called you the beast people. The name change was a surprise. We learn that the females are known as faelom so we start calling you faelom and humans. Then your entire group just takes the name Luvarian which I later learn is the name of your original creators. What's with the sudden changes?”

“I believe it has something to do with us returning to the citadel in numbers and finally feeling like we may be worthy of that name again. Our knowledge has increased a great deal over the last decade. I wish that I had been able to watch it from the beginning. I'm certain that it would have been very interesting. The fact that it was an outsider which brought the catalyst for such change and a sister that was made to sleep so that she could decrease her size makes it even more amusing. The only thing that would make it even stranger is if she had been a distrusted.” A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she imagined such a situation. Had Joseph met one of the distrusted he might have been killed and he most assuredly would have had a far more negative view of the society.

“I can see where that would be quite a shocker. So is he still leading the way now?”

“In a sense but I believe the others are starting to catch up to him. Have you met him? His name is Joseph and he's the mate of Maria. I know you've met her.”

“Her I have met. She's pretty much a blur whenever she's moving. Last I heard the reason she hasn't been coming around anymore is she's pregnant. I imagine she'll be giving birth very soon.”

“Yes on on every account.”

“I've never seen Joseph though. I'm guessing he doesn't leave the village very often.”

“No. His work keeps him pretty busy. Right now Dan is the current project leader and it looks like this one is going to take some time. Julia has apparently been able to make use of some of their findings already in the development of our spirit hunters. Hey when are some of your orcs going to join them?”

“One already has but.” Kelah had to take in a deep breath. “We're a bit worried that these new methods will offend the spirits rather then help our relationships with them. A lot of our shaman are reluctant to try these new methods and risk damaging ancient and strong alliances.” Kelah hoped that Zarena wouldn't take the orcs caution as an insult. Thanks to the entire Amalgam event the spirits of the forest were a bit on edge.

“I see. What about you Kelah?” Zarena hoped that Kelah would at least try learning the ways of a spirit hunter. She believed the orc could benefit a great deal from the training and would have a lot to teach.

“I have responsibilities that prevent me from going and learning. I have to wait until the lessons come here.” The disappointment on Zarena's face would have been clear even if she wasn't so massive. “What's wrong?”

“I really hoped that you could go learn the ways of a spirit hunter I'm sure you would benefit. Can't you ask for someone to take over your roll for a while? I can promise to do my best to protect your people while you're away.” Zarena had long ago resolved that she would protect the ocean front village and that included the orcs that lived there as well. She had actually helped to resolve some issues between a few faelom and the orcs. She had no doubt the faelom could easily kill the orcs in question but that wasn't the result she wanted. She had come to see the orcs much like the apprentices. Even the females could be considered in such a light given that most of them seemed capable of carrying a faelom in her womb. They could make good mates for biological brothers.

A low whistle came from Kelah as she considered the offer. The more powerful she became the easier it was to negotiate with Nightfang. As the leader of her pack she had to be strong. “I can't just think of me Zarena. Sure I might benefit but what about the other orcs?”

“I bet they would benefit to. Once they saw you training as a spirit hunter more of them would be comfortable doing so. You are the pack leader after all and it's your job to take down prey. Well prey nourishes the pack and don't you believe this knowledge could be quite a kill?” The orcs put a lot of value on hunting and while the faelom were often solo hunters instead of pack hunters they could talk in similar terms. Zarena hoped that by putting it in such terms she could convince Kelah to undergo the training.

“That is an interesting way of putting it. Huh. Let me speak with some of the others and see what they think. I'll also want to speak with Nightfang and see if I can find someone to take over for me while I'm away. Well it's not like it's hunting season anyway.”

To this Zarena gave a nod and began to set up. As she rose up she glanced down at the impression she had left behind. Zarena had actually began taking a slight thrill from leaving such impression behind though she preferred to leave them in ground that would hold the shape better. One particular area of interest was how well the outline of her nipple had been captured. This could be extremely amusing as it could serve as a clear indicator of how excited she was at the moment. At the moment she was relaxed so there wasn't much of an impression. This was a bit of a disappointment. Zarena always liked the impression that she left behind whenever she was teasing Nathan. “That sounds good. I'm sure you'll get along with Julia.”

***********************************************************************************

“I believe Dremera knows.” Dan couldn't help but grin as he noticed Dremera looking at Maria. The young girl was clearly focused on her stomach.

Joseph, “Are you certain she knows or has she simply noticed how protective Maria is being of her stomach?” Maria, Mina and Dremera had all three came to visit Joseph and Dan while they were taking their lunch. Currently the two men set on chairs while the women set on the ground with the exception of Dremera. She was also seated so that she could comfortably reach the table. Naidra had offered Mina and Dremera some pillows to set upon but they had refused them.

For a moment Mina said nothing but looked to her daughter and then Joseph. “I'm pretty sure she knows. Dremera gets curious about things when they're being protected but food and her father are also in the room. If she was just curious that wouldn't be enough. Besides she isn't trying to poke Maria in the stomach.”

Joseph, “Then do you think she's understood some of what we've been saying?”

Dan, “I think she has a sixth sense.”

“Dan she doesn't have any mutations to my knowledge and that type of ability tends to take years of study to obtain.”

“Hey some kids just seem to have it naturally. What is intuition after all?”

Joseph couldn't help but roll his eyes. He respected Dan but he didn't believe in intuition. Some people had a natural affinity for magic that let them get a feel for what was going to happen. Some people were observant enough and experienced enough to have a natural feel for what was going to happen based on previous events. Then there was random chance. The notion of a sense that wasn't magical in nature yet somehow beyond the natural realm of experience wasn't something he was ready to put faith in. “I believe it's more likely that she knows a faelom wouldn't show that kind of loving attention to her stomach if there wasn't something special about it.”

Dan, “Well perhaps. Still they're realms of magic that are outside our experience. They're outside of even the Luvarian's experience. I believe you're a bit too quick to dismiss intuition.” Dan had been quite surprised to learn Joseph didn't believe in such things. Dan didn't put any trust in them but he was open to the idea. Given Joseph's usual way of thinking he wondered why he was so doubtful of such things. Granted one didn't mix alchemical potions based on intuition unless very desperate and limited in time but that wasn't a reason to dismiss it. It was a sense that simply hadn't been developed enough to be relied upon.

While the men talked Maria and Mina had mostly been focused on Dremera. At last Maria had to ask. “Dremera would you like to feel my stomach and see if you can feel Ethan kicking?”

Mina, “Maria. I believe you're the only one that can feel Ethan kicking and even then you're not certain.”

“Ah well. My mom says she can.”

“Well maybe she can. After all she has a lot more experience feeling for such things then we do. Without similar experience though I don't believe we can hope to do the same.” Mina had her doubts. Flora could be a tease at times and she was so excited by the idea of having a grandson she might have been either fooling herself or playing with Maria. Yet Flora had surprised Mina in the past so it was possible that after having two daughters she knew how to feel for such things.

“Mina do you really believe that?” Maria couldn't help but grin at Mina's attempt to explain the situation. Maria didn't like to doubt her mother either but it was hard to believe. Even Maria couldn't be certain if she felt Ethan moving in her womb.

“I have no idea. I do have to worry though. What are we going to do in the future? If we can't feel it whenever we're pregnant even at the later stages how are we going to insure we don't end up killing one of our children?”  For a moment Mina couldn't help but look to Joseph and Dan. They had given them a lot of answers recently. She quickly turned her attention back to Maria though. “I believe we should ask the protectors about that actually.”

“I agree. Can you imagine how the others are going to respond whenever we bring up another issue with our new size at the next meeting?” Maria couldn't help but laugh. There were several faelom that were already talking about how troublesome growing so large could be. Those faelom that didn't have to worry about exceeding the twenty meter limit didn't seem as worried as those that might grow larger. “Well I believe the problem is mostly mine to deal with. Can you imagine a human infant inside the womb of a faelom when she's twenty meters tall?”

“He would have quite a bit of protection. Ah Dremera are you trying to feel Ethan?” As they had been speaking Dremera had walked over to Maria and began to feel her stomach. Mina made no move to pick her daughter up and Maria seemed to think it was cute as well.

“What about you Dremera? Can you feel Ethan kicking?”

Both sisters gave Dremera a few moments of silence before Mina spoke up again. “Hey Maria can you imagine if Nathan managed to impregnate Zarena?”

“Even if they had a daughter I don't know if she would notice. Still. I hope they manage to succeed. I bet Zarena would go in shock if she learned that she was going to be a mother despite her size.” While Maria was speaking lightly the thought of Zarena having a child was actually rather warming to her. She doubted that it was likely especially given how intense the magic running through Zarena was but she could hope. “Hold on! Can you imagine the child that Zarena was pregnant with?”

“That. Well that would take some serious spiritual strength.”

“Yeah! Still it would be something to see. I'd be willing to bet that if the child was human he would be a natural mage. One of the ones you read about being able to create fire while they're just an infant.”

“Can you imagine trying to take care of such a child though? I mean. A fragile human body and an infant at that but already being able to play with such dangerous magic. I'd be terrified that he would kill himself. I don't believe I could relax unless I had a protector living with me to keep a constant eye on him.” Mina actually gave a slight cringe. As wonderful as it would be to have such an exceptional child the complications were quite frightening as well. “Hey Maria. Just because you're not like Zarena doesn't mean that your son won't be on such a level. What will you do?”

“Be very glad I kept my size down so I can continue living in the citadel.” Maria couldn't help give Mina a large grin. A grin that said she already had that problem defeated so there was no way to scare her with it.

After a moment of silence Mina couldn't help but chuckle. “Keeping your size down really is letting you avoid a lot of problem isn't it?”

“Yep and in a bit over a decade I'll be ready for Dan's finished project and it'll all pay off. I admit I'm a little scared though.”

“Scared of what?” Mina actually had a good idea of what Maria would be scared of. Faelom put great importance on being able to protect their mates. By staying at such a reduced size Maria was hindering her ability to do so.

“What happens if a threat arises that I can't handle because I chose to stay small?”

“In that case we'll work together to deal with it. I'm staying small with you as well. By the makers! We're calling this small now!”

Maria grinned at first whenever Mina burst into laughter but after a few moments she had to join her. With all the rapid changes the idea of what was small and what was large had changed so quickly. They had quickly adapted but whenever Maria compared it to the past it did seem silly. “True! It's not that we can't grow more powerful while we're here anyway. They are no restrictions whenever it comes to training in combat or training our muscles. This is the only place in existence I know of where you can train your muscles.”

“That's true. Are you prepared to resume your more intensive lessons once Ethan is born?”

Maria actually gave a slight groan as she turned her head to the side. “Not really but I'm going to d it anyway. If one path to power has to be closed to me for the time being I'm going to begin walking down another. How has your training been going?”

“It feels wonderful to have someone to truly spar with again! I thought it would become old after a while but I continue to enjoy it. Dremera has stopped trying to defend me from Naidra as well.” Mina took a moment to glance down at her daughter who had wondered away from Maria a short while ago and over to Joseph and her father. The little girl seemed to be listening to their conversation now though Mina believed she just liked the sound of her father's voice.

“I wish they would let us use something to help control the energy other then the glyph. When I have to really push the potion I can feel my veins burning. I'm an alchemist I'm not used to dumping this much energy into my body. I didn't even know I could!” Dan gave a slight sigh as he lightly petted his daughter on the head. She had actually chosen to set on the floor so that he could do that and remain seated. In a few years or perhaps sooner that wouldn't be happening. Would she set him on her shoulder then or would she be past such behavior?

“I agree but when I asked Lestel said that if we can't handle this level of energy there is no way we're going to be able to complete Azon's work. Apparently he did use items to help him and he still had a command of magic beyond what we're using. Dan I'm thinking before this is over they're going to turn us into mages. It may be the only way to develop the command of magic we're going to need.” The idea wasn't unpleasant to Joseph but it was hard to imagine. To become an alchemist you had to learn some magecraft to become a mage you had to learn some alchemy. Being both a mage and an alchemist at the same time though was extremely difficult. Acquiring all the knowledge alone was a very difficult task and developing the skills was even harder. The real issue though was the conflicts in the rules.

“Do you believe we can learn to work around the disagreements?”

Mina, “What kind of disagreements?”

Dan had been so wrapped up in his and Joseph's conversation that he had almost forgotten Mina and Maria were having one. Her words made him jump a bit but he quickly turned to look at her. “They're quite a few but well one example is the disagreement of combining elements. Alchemy says that if you combine mystic energy born of heat and fluids the resulting creature or enchantment becomes more energetic. Think of a construct like a slime which is based mostly on water. Now imagine that the slime is hot to the touch like a boiling pot of water or even worse and not only that but it moves more quickly and is harder to freeze in place. That's alchemy. Magecraft on the other hand says if you combine the same energies they diminish one another. Like throwing water on a fire. Instead of a more powerful spell you get a small puff of steam and some lukewarm water.”

To this Joseph gave a nod. “Even those who are both mage and alchemist never seem to be able to compensate for these disagreements or bring them into agreement. They just learn to shift between what state of thinking they're on. Well most of the time. At times someone will try casting a spell while thinking like an alchemist and the results tend to be quite lacking.” Joseph couldn't help but chuckle as he imagined a mage's firespell fizzling and dieing in an instant. “I wonder if the protectors might have some understanding of this divide that would let them offer some advice.”

Maria, “So a mage can't cast a spell using boiling water?”

Joseph, “They can but it would be a huge waste of energy unlike the case with alchemy. If you're going to create boiling water using magic you might as well just use fire or super heated air or sand.”

Dan, “Ouch! You're talking about the mages of the red sand desert right? I've heard of what they can do.”

“So have I. Never met one.”

Mina had been listening as well as Maria. “Well is trying to tackle such a divide something you should be working on now? I swear. I wish the protectors were better mentors or considered themselves better mentors. Part of me wants to say trust them to guide you through what you want to learn. Actually Dan Joseph you've both said that you're working with your current skill set until you feel ready to move on but you're waiting for approval from the protects. Isn't that a mistake from their own admission?”

Both men went silent and took a moment to look at one another. It was Dan who found his voice first. “I didn't think of that Mina. Well I believe they're right about us not moving on for the moment until we refine our skills more. At least we need to refine them enough that we can produce results that wouldn't end up killing us.”

Mina, “Ah! Yeah that is a good point. So once you can make those potions you're working on without producing potentially lethal results you'll continue your studies?”

Dan, “I believe that would be a good point to continue yes.”

***********************************************************************************

When a human gave birth it was pretty obvious she was prepared to do so. When a faelom gave birth to something as small as a human infant it was far less certain. Joseph currently found himself setting with Naidra watching Maria who was in a birthing position. Except Maria didn't seem to be in any pain. If it hadn't been for the release of fluids there wouldn't have even been any indicator that she was about to give birth. Naidra had even had to reassure him that the birthing process had began. When Flora entered the room he felt a bit better much to his surprise considering that Maria wasn't showing any stress. “I'm glad you could make it Flora.”

“I was worried I wouldn't!” A sigh escaped Flora as she wiped some sweat from her forehead. She had been forced to make quite a run in order to get back in time.

“Why didn't you ask Alaina to carry you?”

“I.” Flora took in a deep breath and took a moment to steady herself. “That is a very good question. Well I'm here now. So Maria how are you doing?”

“Good I think.” Maria actually felt rather awkward whenever Flora knelt between her legs and even more so whenever she parted her vagina. Maria knew what she was doing but being examined by her mother felt strange just the same. “Mom I would prefer if you let one of the protectors do that!”

“Then have they already inspected you?”

“Well no. They don't need to.”

“If they're not being as thorough as they can be when dealing with the birth of a brother then they're not doing what they need to.” Flora shot Naidra and Alaina a rather annoyed look as she continued to examine her daughter.

Alaina, “We thought it was best not to agitate her so early on.”

“She'll get over it.”

In truth Alaina and the other protectors didn't believe the level of care Flora was showing was needed. It would agitate Maria but that wouldn't harm the child. It might bring her some comfort as well. After all the more she knew about when her child was going to be born the better. Yet even that wouldn’t truly change the situation. If it made Flora happy though there was no harm in letting her perform her own examination. “Ethan will be born into the world in the next few hours of that we're certain.”

A very large smile formed on Maria's face despite the irritation of only moments past. She only had a few hours until she was going to be a mother. “So has Ethan began to leave my womb yet?”

Alaina, “Not yet. Whenever he leaves your womb the process will be quite swift. You may not be as large as the faelom of old but you're quite large compared to your child.”

To this Maria gave a nod. “So you can't use one of those lens to see how things are going?”

“No. I'm afraid the lens of life is only good for locating a shift in a faelom spiritual presence that might indicate she's with child.” The lens was a quick and in many ways limited mechanism to determine if a faelom was pregnant without the aid of a protector. It wasn't the solution Maria had asked them for but it was a start. The lens let someone see the spiritual presence of a faelom but required you to know how she appeared previously if you were to note a shift in it. A shift could indicate a faelom was pregnant or several other things thus its limited use. A better solution would be developed by the apprentices later.

Mina, “Maria! Isn't this exciting!” Mina had a huge smile on her face as she entered into the room while packing both Dremera and Dan. She would have to make sure Dremera kept her distance but she wanted her to see a brother whenever he was born. Dremera for her part didn't have any idea of what was going on but could tell her mother was excited so she was excited. She did notice Maria was laying in a rather strange way and they were many others around her. There was also a new scent in the air. It was someone she hadn't met before but she couldn't see anyone else in the room. Dremera had noticed earlier that she could only smell people who were in the room with her when at the citadel. So it was fairly clear to her that something was going to happen to Maria but she wasn't certain what.

“Hey Mina did you see Mira while you were coming?”

“I'm afraid not. If I recall she had something important to handle on the waterfront so she might not be able to make it back in time. I'm certain she'll try.”

Naidra, “Zarena is carrying her here now.”

Everyone in the room looked towards Naidra for a moment then offered a few quick nods. Apparently Lestel had told both of them what was going to happen. Maria was grateful that her sibling would be arriving soon but there was one thing she couldn't help but feel disappointed over. “It's a shame Zarena can't be in here to see Ethan.”

Flora, “You're not going to make her wait are you?”

“Well if I don't I would have to take him outside as soon as he's born.”

Naidra, “That will be fine. Judging by the changes in your own life energies and his development time Ethan will have a very healthy birth. A few moments exposure to the outside in order to allow Zarena to see the child would be safe. Even if he was to pick up some contagions we would be able to treat them.”

After a moment of silence Maria gave a nod. “Thanks Naidra. Sure we can take him outside to see Zarena and the.” Maria went silent as she felt a slight shift within her being. It was subtle and she wasn't certain if it happened. “I think I felt something?”

Flora, “Just let it happen naturally. You need to relax and let your body do its job don't try to force things to happen.”

As Joseph listened to Flora that was another key difference between humans and faelom. The faelom didn't need to push to help in the birthing process. Part of him feared it was more likely she would crush their son inside of her then help him to be born if she was to do so. As Dan came to set besides him Joseph had to say. “I believe I may finally know how you felt whenever Dremera was being born.”

“Actually I believe you have it worse then me. We both know how much more delicate humans are then faelom.”

“True but it was Mina giving birth and we've both seen how powerful those muscles are.”

After a moment of silence Dan gave a nod. “That is true. I guess I was pretty much in your shoes then. I'm glad I'm not there now though.”

As Joseph looked around at the faelom and protectors he wasn't truly fearful for Ethan's safety. He had a lot in the room to insure that he was born safely. Joseph felt strange. Normally a mother that could afford it would be using medicine to take away the pain of birth and perhaps even help in the process. Maria didn't need any of those things but was waiting patiently. Joseph actually leaped out of his seat along with Dan when the door suddenly opened.

“Please tell me that I'm not too late!” It was hard for a faelom to be winded. Mira had been pushing her body as hard as she could as she dashed through the citadel though and actually needed to take two deep breaths to steady herself. She kept moving though as she walked over to her sister and looked around. “Oh thank the makers! I thought I was going to miss his arrival.”

“Nope! I believe I felt something shift within me though so it should be soon. How is Zarena doing?”

“She's hoping that you'll bring him out afterword to let her see him. She's eager to see the first brother born into this new age. She even suggested that whenever he's a bit older we should have a painting done with Dremera and Ethan. The first children of the hungerless age.” Mira couldn't help but grin at that thought. “Isn't it neat Maria? Your son is going to be the first brother to grow up and not hear us grumble about how much we'd like to eat.”

A slight giggle escaped Maria after a moment. “That is true. I'm willing to bet we find something new to complain about though.”

“Yeah but it's still wonderful!”

“I know!” Maria placed both her hands on her stomach and lightly petted it as she looked down at herself. “Come on Ethan. Everyone is here to see you arrive now. Come on now. It's time to come greet the world.” As she spoke Maria could swear she felt another shift in her being as if her body was preparing for something. For a moment she turned towards Joseph and gave him a large grin. “I can feel something happening within me I know it.”

For a moment it looked like Naidra and Flora might have some kind of disagreement as they remained close to Maria. Yet Naidra smoothly moved to the side and allowed Flora to take up her position. To Joseph it looked like Naidra was willing to supervise but it also seemed she wanted to be the first to hold the new baby. Flora seemed to have the same desire though and she was Maria's mother. Joseph had no doubt that if it did come down to an argument Maria would side with her mother and so would he. Naidra likely realized this and chose to politely back down rather than to make an issue of it. He could swear he saw Maria's pelvis moving slightly and her lower body muscles working. “Maria is he coming?”

“I can't be sure but I think.” Maria's face seemed to light up. “I'm sure of it now.”

Flora was always amazed by how small brothers were when they were born. Even though she knew that she had grown that didn't change how delicate Ethan looked whenever his head began to poke through. Reaching into Maria Flora placed two hands on either side of Ethan and began to carefully remove him from within her daughter. As his head was removed from within Maria she heard some gasp but continued her efforts.

Dremera was amazed by the strength of the new scent for a moment. Someone seemed to have come out of nowhere. Her ears directed her to the newcomer before her nose could as she heard Ethan burst into a fit of crying. While the young faelom had seen brothers before this was the first time she had seen an infant and immediately she felt rather surprised. She watched as Flora's claws easily cut through a fleshy tube before the child was handed to Maria. She didn't watch Flora as she cleaned Maria. Instead she turned her attention to the screaming Ethan. Fortunately her mother was standing and as she was being held she had a very good view. Without thinking or meaning to a sharp meow escaped Dremera as she felt rather uncertain about the entire situation.

“That's right Dremera! Isn't our new brother cute.” As she spoke Mina held Dremera a little closer so that she could seen Ethan better. Her heart rate had sped up a bit while happiness seemed to flow throughout her being. Yet her ears were made to perk up. The site of a new apprentice and the knowledge of how delicate his body was began to push her protective instincts even further. They weren't as dominant as they had been when she'd been caring Dremera. She didn't feel the urge to establish a territory but perhaps to keep an eye out for possible threats.

With Ethan's screams rapidly dieing down Maria held her son against her while Joseph quickly moved to get a better look. She could feel her heart rate speeding up even more as she looked at Ethan and felt a wide smile on her face. “Hello there and I'm glad you finally made it out!” Maria couldn't help but giggle as Ethan gave a sharp cry before calming down again. “How is he Naidra?” As she spoke Maria gently ran her left index finger against Ethan's chin marveling at how soft the infant's skin was. Yet despite the joy she was feeling her ears began to twitch about much like Mina and Flora's. The three faelom's protective instincts were still working despite their joy. Maria's were working a bit less intensively as she held Ethan against her.

“I'm pretty sure you can hear how he's doing but because you want me to say it. He's quite healthy.” Naidra had been certain Ethan would be healthy even before he'd been born. Every indicator had told her this would be a good birth. While his life force was weak due to his delicate body she could also see a good deal of spiritual energy coming from the child. Maria would soon feel the shift in her being. Yet would she have more energy or less? Maria's body would have been feeding on the energy Ethan gave off yet her body had to feed his body. If she ate like most faelom Naidra would have felt certain she would feel a loss in energy but in this rare case she might benefit.

Mira couldn't help but chuckle as she reached out and took hold of Ethan's foot. She felt him give it a slight pull though nowhere near enough to free his limb. “I'll say. Did you get a lot of exercise kicking on the insides of your mommy so she would feel you? Did you? Maria he smells a lot like Joseph.”

“I know. It really surprised me. Are you going to take after your daddy?” Maria had already offered the tip of her tail to Ethan. The new born had proven he had healthy lunges in the beginning but she could tell he was already winding down. That was fine with Maria as she wrapped her arms around him in order to help keep him warm. She remembered what Mira had said about Zarena but she couldn't help but worry. “Are you certain it's safe for me to take him out to see Zarena?”

Alaina, “I'll be there with you.”

“Okay but first. I believe we should stop crowding out Dan and Joseph.”

Joseph had a wide grin on his face. With Mira, Flora, Naidra and Mina all surrounding Maria there wasn't room for two brothers to get in or even one. The women looked rather sheepish for a moment and backed away so they could approach. Joseph received a sharp push from Dan which he didn't protest and walked over to Maria with Dan a few steps behind him. “Hey there son. We're glad that you could finally make it. Maria he's wonderful and quite a healthy set of lunges.”

Before Maria could comment she heard a squeal from Dremera who seemed to want closer to Ethan. “Sorry Dremera but for now its adults only around Ethan. Yeah he has a nice set. Do you want to hold him?” Even as she asked the question Maria hoped that the answer would be no. Maria trusted Joseph with her life but just the notion of letting go of Ethan now that she had him in her arms was hard to imagine. She wasn't certain that she could force her body to comply if he said yes.

It was true Joseph wanted to hold their son for a moment but he could see in Maria's body language she didn't want to give him up. He wasn't offended by this but continued to smile. “Sure but later. Let's not keep Zarena waiting longer then we have time. From the way people were talking earlier she hurried over as well. It wouldn't be right to leave her out.”

Maria gave her head a slight nod and carefully stood up making certain to keep the trip smooth for Ethan. “Okay Ethan let's go let Zarena have a look at you then we can lay back down and have some cuddle time. Ah are you yawning! I hope you can save one of those for Zarena to see.”

Mina, “Don't worry Dremera I'm sure Maria will let you play with Ethan later. I bet you and he are going to be great friends whenever he's old enough to play.” As she spoke Mina could tell that Dremera wanted to have a closer look at Ethan. While Mina had come to trust her daughter with her father she wasn't prepared to trust her with a newborn brother. As delicate as the adults were she didn't want to risk an accident with one of the children. “Be sure to take it slow Maria.”

“Yeah. I don't know if we're going to make it before he falls asleep though.” Ethan had already began to settle against her soft fur. The birthing experience had apparently been quite draining on him. “Joseph we need to make sure that we have some milk prepared for him when he gets hungry. I don't believe I can breast feed him at this size.” It was something they had been talking about and playing at for quite some time. Now that Ethan was hear though Maria didn't like the idea of him being hungry and her not being able to feed him.

It felt kind of odd whenever Maria began to walk but didn't lift him up. Joseph liked it when he could walk around on his own but he had become used to Maria packing him on some level as well. “Sure. Do you want to do it after we let Zarena see him or would you prefer if I made some formula?” As Joseph spoke he wondered if he should slip a bit of a stamina booster into Ethan's food. Right now his body was so delicate and a bit of a booster would help him to resist any sickness that came upon him. How strong of a potion could an infant's body handle? He wanted to help him resist sickness not poison him after all.

Once they made it far enough out Naidra wouldn't be able to speak and she would need to remain hidden. The fact that Ethan would be outside of her reach for a bit as would Dremera was actually a bit upsetting to her despite being the one to say it would safe to let Zarena see Ethan. “We can take care of that. We have a variety of formulas suited to taking care of infants.”

***********************************************************************************

Currently Joseph found himself watching Maria as she exercised with Alaina and a few other faelom. It was obvious that Alaina was pushing her far harder then she had been pushed in a long time. What made it even stranger was Maria was the one that asked for it. He didn't believe that Maria had the same feelings now as she did forty minutes ago. There was only one thing to do. “Do you see mommy Ethan? She's really working hard to make sure she can keep you safe isn't she?” As he spoke Joseph lightly rocked Ethan in his portable bed. Ethan opened his eyes for a moment and quickly closed them. Joseph knew that he was only responding to the sound and not actually understanding him but it seemed to work.

Maria had been talking about finding other things she could develop her abilities in while restricting her diet for a while now. Developing her combat skills and training her muscles was fairly obvious. Currently they were working on training her muscles. This was achieved by the use of mystic weights and having Maria exercise within Joseph's glyph. She was trying to keep pace with Alaina who was exercising alongside of her. What Alaina found encouraging is that whenever Joseph began speaking with Ethan Maria began to match her pace again. “That's it Maria! Your son is watching. Now how do you feel?”

“Hungry!” Maria couldn't help but laugh despite herself. She could feel the sweat rolling off her body and knew she'd have to clean her fur out once she was done exercising. She didn't want to stink. Ethan wasn't the only encouragement Maria had though.

Flora, “I agree! This new diet you have me on is just horrible honey.” Flora gave an amused laugh as her daughter gave her a rather annoyed look. It had been Flora's choice to follow her daughter's life style. It helped whenever family could support you and they had more then family. Mina was doing the same. Yet Mina wasn't the only one. As Flora looked around she found that five other faelom had joined them. “Alaina I just had a thought. How much longer are we going to keep this slow introduction up? The secret is becoming very wide spread as is.”

“You make a good point Flora. We're debating that amongst ourselves at the moment. We believe a mass reveal while most faelom are still trying to catch a glimpse of Ethan would be suitable. Okay we're done with the warm up now. We're going to move onto strikes. I want you to be careful to follow my movements as later we're going to practice these in combat if you choose to learn fighting from us. Anyone who pulls a muscle or hurts a joint should take three minutes to set outside the glyph and let their body heal.”

“You have got to be kidding me!”

Alaina couldn't help but smile at the new comer. “No. Elly you once told a claimed that he needed to trust you because you could understand his body better then he could. Well I can understand your body better then you can so you need to trust me.”

“That's fair. I'll never say those words to another claimed or apprentice again though!”

There was some slight laughter from those who could spare the breath. Maria risked a glance over towards Joseph, Ethan and Dan who had decided to take their lunch break in the training room to offer encouragement. She wondered if the smell of their food was helping things. She was happy to see Ethan though. Her view shifted a bit as she glanced over at Dremera who was actually setting within the glyph playing with a few toys. “Mina Dremera seems to be doing fine to me.”

To this Mina gave a nod. “I'm surprised she hasn't slowed down in the least. I'm not even certain if she realizes she's setting in anything strange.” Mina glanced over at her daughter for a moment. Dremera was currently fussing with a puzzle that she had already broken three times in the past. Unfortunately she seemed to have reached the conclusion that breaking the puzzle and removing the ring counted as solving it. In order to prevent this they had to strengthen the puzzle repeatedly until finally they'd asked Naidra to take care of it. Naidra had abandoned the original puzzle much to Mina surprised and just made a new one that could endure Dremera's attention for now.

With all the talking Alaina couldn't help but look over at Dremera. She could see the glyph having its influence on her. Dremera's energies were being drained. She was resisting the influence but it was happening on a more instinctive level. The young faelom hadn't yet learned to ignore her body's impulses so she went along with them easily. “Don't worry Mina Dremera is still doing fine. If her energy fades too much I'll remove her from the glyph.” There was some danger to Dremera being within the glyph especially regularly being within its confines. As unpleasant as an adult faelom found their hunger to be a starving child was even worse.

To this Mina gave a nod. “Thanks. Honestly I thought she'd leave the glyph the moment she moved into it.”

Maria, “I believe she's too busy trying to break her toy to notice the drain. That is something though whenever I first stood within one of these things I had to struggle to make myself stay.”

Flora, “Her mind is more open to new experiences then ours are. Well that and she's allowed to freely eat as she wants. Alaina you did mention that Dremera would get hungry sooner if she chose to remain in here.”

“Yes and honestly. We're not entirely comfortable with her being within the glyph right now.” Alaina hadn't mentioned it but there was another protector watching Dremera. At this early of a development stage this wasn't the time to put her in stressful situations. She had expected the discomfort of the glyph would chase the young faelom out of it. It was clear that wasn't going to be happening anytime soon. If there wasn't another protector available to watch her Alaina would have removed her.

“So you haven't changed your mind about that?”

“We're interested to see what will happen but we're keeping a close eye on her as well. It's similar to exposing a human child to intense mystic energies. They're some who believe that by flooding the child's still developing bodies with mystic energies they can transform it into a superior tool for the future. They learn magic easier and find manipulating mystic energies easier as well. There are others that worry the child's organs won't form properly and their abilities will be reduced or they'll be killed.”

Maria, “Weren't the Luvarians the type to test that theory?”

“Yes and the final discovery was that it depends on a lot of things that are hard to track. The only safe way to handle such procedures is either not to do them or to watch the person very carefully. We are currently operating under the very careful method.”

Mina, “Then if it works directing mystic energies.” Mina actually found herself going silent for a moment as she felt very light headed. She had to take in a few breaths of air as the exercise caught up to her.

“We hope that Dremera will learn these techniques naturally or at least have an easier time learning them whenever she becomes older.” After a moment of watching Dremera herself Alaina turned her attention towards Ethan. He was doing exactly what she expected him to be doing at this early stage of life. He was sleeping while only opening his eyes every once in a while to see what was going on. Some protectors wondered if they should begin introducing Ethan to mystic energies at such an early stage. Given his parents and his environment they believed that would happen anyway so there was no need to push the issue.

Maria, “Do you have any information about that? I would like to do my best for Ethan after all.”

“Just let him play with the toys we provided whenever he's ready.”

“You believe that is the best?”

“Faelom and humans can tolerate different levels of error. Even with our efforts at times things went wrong for the human children and well less resilient species. The problems didn't always show up whenever they were children either. Perhaps back when this building had several full Luvarians housed within we would have tried such things but not now. They were children that lost their ability to use one type of magic or the other or in some cases children that became very resistant to magic. The second served some purpose but not anymore.”

“The toys you gave us to let Ethan play with never caused such problems right?”

“Never. There is a vast difference between submerging someone's body into foreign mystic energies and helping their own develop. Well there was no mistakes outside of what you might expect. A five year old that knows how to create lightning requires special attention.”

Maria didn't respond right away but took a moment to catch her breath. Unlike Mina her lunges were used to working at extreme speeds. This was proving a factor with all the other faelom though Maria hadn't noticed it. She was the only one still matching Alaina's moves. “I thought you said the spells the toys taught were safer then that.”

“His father kept him in the room were he practiced magic. He let his son watch and well the kid picked up on a few things.”

“Ah! You hear that Joseph? Know doing any alchemy around Ethan that you wouldn't want him figuring out how to do at the moment.”

For a moment Joseph put down his food and cleared his throat. “I'll be sure of that. Why what did Alaina tell you?”

“One of the Luvarians accidentally taught his son how to cast lightning.”

“Impressive the kid must have been really talented to learn that by accident!”

Alaina, “He was! That's why the father thought it would be a good idea to let him watch the more advanced spells even if he wasn't ready to cast them yet. He wanted his son to have a head start on what he considered the good spells.”

Joseph listened to Maria and the other faelom for a short while before turning his attention back towards Ethan, Dan and his meal. “So Dremera has been trying to track Ethan down? Well that's what you believe at least.”

“You should have seen her. Whenever we went back to our rooms after Maria and Ethan had settled down Dremera starts wondering around. We didn't have to worry about her wondering off before so long as Mina and I were in the room. A few minutes later Naidra comes back packing Dremera who's still sniffing around. I don't believe she actually found his scent. I haven't met a faelom that could track anyone in the citadel by their scent yet. Well we can't be sure that she was hunting for your son but this is the first time she's done that.” Dan had to take a moment to look over at Dremera. Currently she was slamming her new puzzle against the floor.

“That is a funny thought. I guess she's upset that she didn't get to see him up close. Why isn't she coming over here now though?”

“I believe she knows that her mother and Maria wouldn't let her near Ethan. She knows that if she's going to get close to him they can't be around.” Dan couldn't help but laugh as Dremera was becoming increasingly frustrated with how her original solution wasn't working. He had seen how intelligent his daughter was numerous times and knew she would change methods soon enough. Yet her old method had worked on three puzzles.  It wasn't surprising that she didn't try anything new immediately.

“She is very smart. Do you believe she'll be able to play with Ethan when he's ready to?”

For a moment Dan said nothing but then gave a sigh. “I don't know. She's never handled anything as delicate as a baby. We play games were she has to be careful but. You know we should ask Stella about Pera and Allen. I can't think of anyone that is more careful with their child and she did let her play with Allen. They began playing together at a very early age actually.”

“That is a good point and kind of funny whenever you think about it. Now Dan I've noticed that you've been getting a bit better results then me. Would you mind telling me what's going on?” Currently two thirds of Dan's potions had been usable while Joseph was only managing two out of five. According to Naidra this was far from horrible but they would need at least a ninety percent success rate to continue onward safely. At least that was her estimation Joseph had considered moving on despite her warnings. His better judgment told him that would be a mistake. When it came to safety the protectors did seem to know what they were talking about.

“I don't know what to tell you Joseph. I'm not doing that much better then you.”

“Well I'll tell you what I'm doing and you tell me what you're doing. We can compare notes.”

“I'm really trying to think of it like playing with Dremera. At times I have to maintain my energy and really push myself to keep things going. At other times I have to back off and be more fluid. I just let her energy carry me through. The big thing is not being scared of making a mistake but just letting things happen. You can be scared all you want while studying and preparing. That can be a good motivator but when it comes time to work fear needs to shut up.”

After a moment of silence Joseph gave a nod. He didn't have the same experience as Dan did but he could understand where he was coming from. “I'm afraid I don't have that kind of practice. I wonder if it might be time to take a step back and focus on what we know we're lacking rather then just trying to practice what we know we're already proficient at. In my case I try to keep in mind where I'm at and where I'm going the entire time. If I forget where I'm trying to get to I end up landing far away from my target. I guess I get so worried about whether or not I'm going to hit my target I push things too hard and end up losing control.”

Chapter 48 by happiest_in_shadows

“Well in either case we end up off target a bit. I remember my mentor told me once that the potion wants to achieve the same state you want it to. That just doesn't work here. If we let the potion go the path it wanted to who knows what we would end up with. This is just too complex.” Dan gave a slight sigh after a moment of consideration and covered up his eyes. “I'm not sure how to go about practicing such things though.”

Alaina, “Joseph should spend some time working with a mystic item for which envisioning the final objective is useless but still holding to guidelines while you need something that requires you to keep your eye on the end result. I know of a few things that will work.” Alaina continued to exercise with the faelom even as she called out to Joseph and Dan. It was easy for her to listen in on their conversation. “You should take some extra time for your break period if you're going to discuss such things though. Remember the point of break is to wrest your minds which you two do a terrible job of doing.”

***********************************************************************************

“You're fortunate that your path brought you closer to the room then the wrest of us.”

Lestel gave Naidra a large grin. Currently she was holding a sleeping Ethan and gently rocking him. He had began to wake up and the protectors had responded. Currently they were speaking through their connected minds and Lestel had put up a weak barrier to block some of the sound from Maria's ears. She knew that if Maria was to suddenly not be able to hear Ethan's heart beat she'd be awake in an instant. “We all agreed upon the paths we would patrol.” Patrol paths weren't truly necessary to the protectors. They were more like a lottery that would decide who would handle what situation. If they didn't have such a mechanism in place they might all end up waiting near the young faelom or apprentices for a chance to care for them.

Naidra wasn't actually in the room with Lestel. She was currently disposing of Joseph, Dan and Ridon's failed attempts. Rather then simply destroying them though she was salvaging was useful components they were. This wasn't necessary. They had plenty to spare and could acquire more but with so little to do wasting wasn't in the protector's nature. “Yes we did. He is asleep again now you don't need to continue to observe him.” There was no need to mention neither Maria or Joseph would appreciate them ghosting into the room as they had. They could easily justify it though by saying they needed their sleep and Ethan needed tending to.

“I am just gathering some information. We need to be careful when it comes to his exposure to mystic energy at this early stage. We have been surprised in the past.”

“When they were far more Luvarians in the citadel. The amount of mystic energies moving throughout it just aren't the same as what they used to be.”

“That is true. Okay I'll leave and give all of you a chance to interact with him directly if he wakes up again.”

***********************************************************************************

It felt strange being here. Kelah was currently setting alone a short distance from the faelom. She had set and ate with several of them at the ocean front but these were mostly faelom she had never met before. It left her feeling very alone being apart from her pack. Her attention was taken away from her food as Julia and Kiara walked over to her.

Kiara, “Hi Kelah. Would you mind if my sister and I joined you?”

“You're quite welcome to. I was feeling a bit isolated to be honest.”

Kelah didn't know it but in truth the faelom were being more open to her then they would have most females. They had heard about her from Kersara and she had been working with and living around the faelom for a while now. They just weren't certain if she wanted to be involved in their circles yet so they were setting close enough for her to hear their conversations but not invade her space. At least she would have been able to hear them if she was a faelom. That was one detail that they had likely forgotten. “My sister says that you've been a big help with her class.”

“I'm glad to assist. She's shown me quite a few things as well. I'm still not entirely comfortable with the body alterations though.”

Julia, “I believe that is partly my fault. I mean. Well not everyone wants to end up looking like me.” After a moment Julia gave a genuine but honest laugh. She was still human in overall form but no one would mistake her for a human if they got a good look at her. At least they wouldn't believe she had a human's body. “I can assure you the treatment we've been giving you are going to have no where nearly as drastic of affects.”

“That's reassuring. Still the treatments you're using were developed for humans and well I'm not.”

“Indeed. You've been being influenced by the natural alchemy of the forest soil and the planets within  for generations. If anything you should be even more resistant to negative side affects then we are.” Julia couldn't help but grin as Kelah seemed to be shocked into thought for a moment. It was true though. The orcs had been exposed to the magic that ran throughout the forest and adapted with it through the generations. The brothers on the other hand had been protected from such influences.

“You make a very good point. Now those solid white faelom that I see walking around the citadel. Those are called protectors right?”

“That's correct. Did you try to speak with one?”

“Sort of. I mean we didn't talk but we sort of communicated.” A sigh escaped Kelah as she rubbed her forehead. It still felt rather strange to her. While the protector hadn't said anything and she'd been told they wouldn't talk to anyone she was certain they were smart enough to understand and communicate with her. She knew they could communicate. “It was a little while after our training session. I swear Julia some of the things you're teaching would make the spirits I contract with very nervous. We always made deals with the spirits and would at times play one spirit of another but what you're teaching is nearly coercion in some cases. I worry it could make future dealings very difficult. Anyway, I was trying to mix up some of the mist like you showed me but I was having trouble. Then one of them walks over and places her finger right against the flame I was using to do the burning.”

It was hard for Julia to keep quiet. The protectors were still choosing who they let in on the secret. For them to be behaving so openly was a good sign though. She felt certain that they would let everyone know they can speak and quite well soon enough. “So something was wrong with the flame?”

“Yeah. She showed me that the flame was too intense. Instead of creating the mist I was just burning the ingredients. She didn't stop there though. She actually set down and watched me work. Um she had me add in some of my own blood.” Kelah knew that part wasn't something Julia was doing. The surprise on the woman's face was fairly clear. “When I breathed in the mist I could feel the influence of my blood contained within it. It felt like something was opening up within me.”

“That is interesting. So what happened after you felt these things opening up?”

“I'm not sure. I felt myself opening up and then the mist began to fade and I was really hungry so I came here.” A slight chuckle escaped Kelah. “I suppose I should be worried that there is a fragment of my memory missing. My father once told me that if you make a deal with a spirit and then suddenly you're missing some memory you've either been tricked, made a bad deal or you believed that it was worth the sacrifice. In many cases the best thing to do is just trust that whatever decision you made before you lost those memories was the right one then go and read your journal.”

“You have a journal?”

“No but my father does. I tried to keep one but my position never made that easy.” Kelah hadn't given it much thought but she was actually somewhat nervous about the missing memory.

“I see. Was the protector still there?”

“Yeah. She was setting across the room from me. She was watching but her mind seemed to be else where like she was listening to something or looking past me.”

Would a protector allow a guest to come to harm? Julia doubted she would but she looked towards her sister. “What do you think Kiara?”

“I have no idea. I believe your father is a wise man though Kelah. I wasn't even aware that spirits could take your memories.”

To this Kelah gave a nod. “Some of them can.”

Kiara “Well your our guest so I don't believe the protectors would let you come to harm. Then again if one of them is setting in the room with you it might be that she's making sure you don't hurt yourself. I've noticed that they only seem to stay around whenever we're doing something dangerous. Well that and they seem to have a certain fondness for children.” Kiara actually wanted to ask the protectors about what had happened to Kelah. She didn't want to be too comforting but she couldn't imagine them letting her come to harm.

“Do you believe that my lost memory might have been a side affect of using my own blood?”

Julia, “I'm not sure. I am tempted to try it though. So you just added your own blood to the mix?”

“Well that wasn't the only thing I did. I imbued the blood I used with more of the spiritual energy running through my body then normal.” Kelah had understood what the protector wanted whenever she'd guided her hand. The movement reminded her of rituals she'd performed at home that called for blood. Typically such rituals were used for forming very powerful contracts or for examining the person who supplied the blood in great detail.

Kiara, “With all the changes to your body do you believe it would work for your sis? You don't exactly have the same blood as a human anymore.”

For a moment Julia didn't say anything but tried to consider the changes to her blood. She wasn't entirely familiar with the method that Kelah had used. She was certain that the ritual was similar to alchemy in some ways. “I'm not really sure. It depends on what the blood is involved in but I'm not even sure how much my blood has changed. Isn't that a thought? I'm not even sure how my blood has changed alchemically. I suppose that it might be time for an examination.”

“Hey now you said that the changes would be beneficial!”

Julia gave her sister a wide smile. “That I was certain of. Well that I am certain of. I'm not sure the changes has stopped yet. Just because they're beneficial to me doesn't mean that the changes won't influence other things and some of them may be affected negatively. Just imagine what would happen if I had to pass for a completely natural human at this point.” As Julia spoke she held up both her hands showing how they were solid white and stuck her tongue out of her mouth. While it was red like a human tongue the vibrant red was most assuredly not natural.

“Hey you just like make up!”

“In my mouth?”

“Humans do strange things.”

After a moment of listening Kelah couldn't help but burst into laughter as she watched the two sisters. “So Julia how young were you whenever you became a sister to Kiara?”

“I was young enough that I don't remember the event. I was found in the forest at the very young age. Now before you ask I never knew my biological mother either. Any my faelom mother took me in nearly as soon as I was brought in. Some say that her maternal instincts were running on overdrive given that she already had a daughter but I believe she just knew I would need a friend amongst the faelom and a sister can be a great friend.”

Kiara, “That they can be.”

Kelah, “ So what made you decide to become a necromancer? I know that the humans of your village tend to be magic users but I don't see many necromancers. They aren't many corpses in the forest to use.”

“Manipulating corpses is the lowest form of necromancy and the tool of someone who doesn't truly understand its power.” A huge grin formed on Kiara's face as both women gave her a rather shocked look. Kiara knew that was what her sister would have been thinking in that moment but she had chosen to voice it for her.

After a moment of silence Julia spoke up. “I have a natural affinity to necromancy put simply. Plus we needed more of them. It's always a good idea to have a variety of mages available. I'm not sure how much of a necromancer I am anymore sense I began developing as a spirit hunter. Not that my knowledge has decreased by I've had to make adjustments.”

“Like?”

“I can't channel magic through my fingers anymore.”

Now Kelah set up strait feeling and looking rather surprised. “Seriously?”

“The changes to allow me to better resist attacks by a spirit and increase my endurance in general have made it much harder for me to direct such energies through my skin. Thanks to that it had to find different outlets. In this case it was my eyes and well my mouth. For several weeks I suffered intense head aches and my eyes were positively burning due to magic forming new paths through my brain and nervous system. This was actually intentional though.”

“It made you more resistant to spells meant to influence you through your eyes! You have so much energy flowing through them that it makes it difficult for anything to use them as a point of attack.” As Kelah spoke she made use of some of her own abilities. She had made deals with spirits of various birds of prey in order to develop her eyes. Now she could see the energy that was flowing from Julia's eyes and was rather surprised by the intensity of it. “Now is that part of the training to become a spirit hunter?”

“Well yes but not to the same extent that I went.”

“I know you mentioned that before the training began. You really went all out experimenting on yourself didn't you?”

“Believes me if I didn't know how to sustain my life using necromancy I wouldn't have done nearly as much as I had. Well according to some if it hadn't been for my training in necromancy I would have died. Do you remember whenever my body began to overheat?” As she spoke Julia glanced over at her sister.

“Yes! I thought you were going to cook inside of your own skin. You're lucky I didn't stuff your entire body in a barrel of ice and make you stay there until your temperature became tolerable again.” As she spoke some of the old fear entered back into Kiara and came out in her voice. “What about you though Kelah? I know that you're used to some changes to your body. I've heard about how the spirits influence you.”

To this Kelah gave a nod. “Yeah. I don't believe I've ever heard of any orc going as far as you have though Julia? I'll be honest. All this magecraft is coming across as rather forceful compared to the negotiations I'm used to.”

“I do have some experience dealing with spirits. We necromancers may deal with a certain type of spirit for the most part but we do have some experience. I admit that your comparison is rather fair. Compared to shamanism our methods are quite aggressive and rely heavily on our knowledge and research to avoid making mistakes. Even with that knowledge mistakes can happen. That's one reason I believe we have much to offer one another. I would like to approach magecraft with a shaman's respect and careful planning. After all. You do have to be very mindful of the deals you make.”

“That's kind of you to say. I admit that at times I would like a more direct path then bargaining with the spirits. Nightfang has always been rather strait forward if demanding. They are some other spirits that are difficult by their nature though. I can't describe how infuriating it is when a spirit requires you to catch them before it'll even negotiate with you. At least it used to be infuriating. After I advanced far enough in my dealings with Nightfang that changed.” Now Kelah's formed a wide grin revealing her altered teeth to anyone that looked.

“Did that change how many required that little trial of you?”

“No it just made them run faster but then again I became much faster as well and learned to truly enjoy myself. The only problem now is when the instincts begin pounding too hard I have to repress my kill instinct.”

Kiara, “I know what that's like! You just want to capture something and bring it to safety. However, it makes you chase it which triggers your hunting drive and suddenly your body is calling out for blood. Now you have to fight your own nature while trying to apprehend your prey which is still running from you. I have had serious head aches because of this and I don't just mean frustration. By the time I managed to capture them, resisted the urge to kill and brought them to safety my head would feel like it was going to split in two. If it didn't feel that way immediately it would begin to about two hours later.”

Julia, “Did you ever have that problem with me?”

“No but I swear. Whenever you asked me to catch you a pet bird. I never mentioned it when we were kids but I was positively raging about how you had to ask for one of the most illusive and difficult to catch birds in the forest.”

“I thought you never had trouble catching any animals in the forest.”

“I don't now after all the experience you got me.” Kiara couldn't help but laugh for a moment as the childhood memories were brought up. She could still remember the headache but she also remembered how happy the little animal had made her sister and that was what was more important.

Kiara, “What happened to your pet?”

“Julia, “Age eventually took my pet from me.”

“Did you try to raise it?”

“No. Like Kiara said for me I never really learned necromancy to make corpses walk. The type of undead I'm trained to create aren't those that rely upon a physical body.”

“So you make shadows?”

“That is one name for them yes.” 

Kelah had dealings with death spirits. They were everywhere in the forest and given her contract with Nightfang such contracts came naturally as well. Some of them could teach you to call upon the spirits of the dead to gain power. From what she'd learned while talking to Julia and what she'd seen for herself she couldn't help but imagine what a mage's more aggressive version of these techniques would be like. “I'm still a little uncomfortable with all of this. We depend on the spirits to help us survive in this forest after all. What was that look for Kiara?”

It took Kiara a moment to respond as she realized her mistake.  “Sorry about that but that isn't the type of talk we like to hear.” As she spoke Kiara waved her hand indicating the entire room. She had heard several of the other faelom tense up and knew a few of them were actually looking in their direction. “Kelah your people have done a lot to become allies in our eyes and it wasn't just fighting against the amalgam. So yeah. Saying that would be like if Julia indicated that some spirit of death had power over her.”

“You see it as a threat?”

“That is a big part of it. Well I'm sure you noticed it with Zarena as well.”

After a moment of silence Kelah gave her head a nod. “Kersara has been encouraging us to learn your methods of healing as well. Yet it seemed like your respect for the spirits had been restored. After all Julia you've began using a few of my techniques.”

Julia, “I agree with that to an extent. Kelah your methods are great for reasonable and cooperative spirits. They have quite a few benefits over ours. However, for unreasonable spirits or those that just want to be difficult you need a method to motivate compliance.”

For a moment Kelah was silent but then gave a slight chuckle. “Well I can see how that would be useful.”

“We want dealings with the spirits to be an option but not required. We would prefer to do the same for you. In some ways our situations are very similar we're just seeing things from different sides of the same coin. You rely on the spirits to meet your magical needs while we rely on magecraft both of them have limitations. When both are an option though things are bound to improve.”

“You want a new food source.”

“That's right! Then when one food source has done poorly during the growing season we have another.”

***********************************************************************************

“What happened to this being easy?” Mirin didn't even try to hide the frustration in his voice. Currently he found himself outside the citadel setting with a surprisingly visible Sora. He had required a break from his work with the silk worms. Work that had been so promising in the beginning but had rapidly began to slow down.

“Hey now what are you talking about?”

“For a time it seemed like we were making a new discovery every few months. Now even though we've returned to the citadel things have slowed down so much.”

It was impossible for Sora not to laugh a bit as she listened to Mirin complain. “Mirin that's because the life bloom was new. Even for Joseph it was a new development with all sorts of potential. You've grabbed the low hanging fruit which was quick and easy. Now you have to climb the tree.”

“You can fall out of trees.”

“Then use a stick to knock them out of the tree.”

Mirin was barely able to keep from laughing but he wasn't able to stop himself from grinning. “Then the fruit might bop me in the head when it falls.”

“I'll bop you on the head if you don't quit putting a negative spin on my metaphor.” Sora was grinning herself. She knew Mirin was just trying to be difficult. He wanted to complain about how hard his work was and didn't want a positive spin put on it. That was the type of behavior that could easily earn him being smacked on the head.

“Oh you wouldn't hit me!”

“I've hit plenty of you in the past. Remember I can turn invisible I can get away with such things.”

For a moment Mirin went silent and just grinned as he continued to look into the forest. “The ocean front laboratory is going to take a while to finish building. How is everyone handling Fera's situation?”

“Well sense she was prevented from leaving it hasn't been brought up. We've all been trying to manage our travel and not leave too much damage where we walk. With so few of us at the twenty meter mark I don't believe it's a huge factor at the moment. The more serious talk is well the trade. What did you think of Durin?”

“I like him but I don't believe I'd like to live near him. I'm glad that he was brought here his perspective has been helpful.”

“What did he talk you into doing?” For Mirin to say that Durin had been helpful Sora knew that the dwarf hadn't just confirmed what they already thought. He had convinced them to do something.

“We're preparing some enchanted items for him to trade. The outside world apparently doesn't know how to value truly premium alchemical potions. He also felt sending them raw goods considering our knowledge would be a waste. So we're preparing some magic items for him to trade. We've also settled on a location.”

“Hey I thought that was our job!”

“It was but he made a very compelling argument. He pointed out the reason certain locations aren't any good for trade is they're too difficult to travel through. That means the land tends to be cheap as well and once we own it we can develop the land and make it easy to travel through.” When Sora went silent Mirin set his hand down on her leg and began to run it over her fur. “I don't believe you've ever spent so much time in a visible state. Did something change?”

“That is a good point. Except you're not going to be the ones developing the land.”

“I'd be glad to help.”

Sora gave her nose a slight twitch. There was no indication that Mirin was joking with her and she knew it without even listening to his response. He would be glad to help out with a construction project. He could honestly say it even if he knew that he wouldn't be allowed to. “We'll let you begin helping with such projects eventually. Look at everything that has changed.”

“Thanks but I'm not sure what I could do really.”

“You have magic.”

To this Mirin gave a nod and closed his eyes for a moment. He began to run through a mental checklist of all the ways that he knew how to use magic. “I can see some of my spells helping with a construction project. I'm having trouble thinking of anything that would help directly especially now.” After a moment Mirin opened his eyes but instead of looking at the forest he turned around so that he was looking up at Sora. “You are going to require specialized building material in the future. Depending on how large you grow you might even outgrow most forms of shelter.”

“I know. I've thought about what that would mean and what I'm going to do for entertainment as well if that did happen. I couldn't exactly fit inside the library anymore. I know that Nathan was working on a way to replicate Zarena's book for her. Did that project get put on hold?”

“No. Well sort of. The magic used isn't actually all that complex the problem is making sure it last.”

“I can see where that would be a problem with us.”

“Yeah that part he's had to put on hold. So are you imagining a collection of mystic books for you and the other larger faelom to read?”

“It would be nice.”

“Well once we have enough people freed up I'll help Nathan with his project. Sora I've been meaning to ask. Now about my question in regards to your visibility.”

A sigh escaped Sora and she gave her head a nod. “Mirin the larger I am the more difficult it is for me to stay hidden. I didn't realize it until later. I used to have a lot less volume so staying hidden was easy. Now that I'm this big though it's just. Well it's not so easy anymore.” As she spoke Sora looked down at her hands. Before she didn't really feel any kind of drain whenever she would conceal herself though recovery took longer. Now whenever she hid she could feel her energy being drained away. She just couldn't remain like that all the time anymore.

Mirin didn't say anything at first but then began to grin. “I feel stupid. Yeah. The larger someone is the harder it is for them to hide that makes sense. So are you doing alright? I admit whenever I saw you walking around I thought that you'd just decided not to stay hidden anymore.”

“Yeah. That's kind of what I want others to think. In truth being this visible makes me really uncomfortable.”

Mirin had noticed a change in Sora's voice. After being able to keep herself hidden whenever she wanted to the loss of that ability was influencing her. She was use to confronting people whenever she wanted to. Likely the fact that people could find her now and confront her whenever they wanted to was having an influence on her. “Yet you plan to continue growing.”

“Yeah but that's also why I don't mind leaving here quite as much.” After a moment of silence Sora gave a sigh. “Mirin I don't know what to do half the time now. It used to be that I would hear about something and have plenty of time to think about it. I never had to confront a problem before I had time to think or almost never. Now it's happening all the time. A sister will come up to me ask something and I'll talk with her but then an hour later I'll begin second guessing what I had said.”

“Are they still coming to you?”

“Yes.”

“I haven't heard anyone speaking ill of you. I believe your advice is still as good as it ever was Sora. I know it's hard for you to stay center stage for a long time. You've always been a little on the shy side after all. You're doing fine.”

“Thanks Mirin. You know I believe you're one of five people that know that.”

Mirin gave a slight chuckle. Most seemed to believe that Sora simply liked staying invisible so that she could watch everyone and make sure they were behaving as they should be. Few realized that the real reason she remained hidden was so she could deal with others on her terms. She hated being taken out of her comfort zone by an unexpected visit. “Think of this as a chance to learn more about yourself.”

“I had better as I don't believe anything is going to be changing for a while. Well except I'm going to continue to grow larger. Mirin you know if you'd asked me to I would have remained smaller.”

“I wouldn't do that. I want you to end your hunger as well after all and ten years or however long it takes Dan and Joseph to finish there project is quite a long wait. I am a little concerned though. I've noticed that a lot of the matrons have their hearts set on the ocean front rather then the market towns. Well really far more of the faelom are thinking of the ocean front for their new home rather then the market towns.”

“Can you blame them? They've been hearing good things about the orcs for months now at least. They know Zarena is living there and other sleepers will likely end up living there plus there is the ocean as a new food source. We don't need a lot of faelom living in the market towns do we?”

“That depends on how busy they end up being.”

“Well if you ask me an ocean front town with a port for trading is going to end up being a lot busier then somewhere on land.” Sora was actually surprise when he shook his head no. “Why don't you believe it will be?”

“Just think what is going to happen if we let people use our roads to travel through the forest. We've known for quite some time that having to travel around the forest has been a barrier to trade before. That has even caused outsiders to attack us from time to time.”

“That makes sense. Mirin where do you want to live? We're going to be staying together after all?”

“I don't believe we have any choice. The ocean front laboratory is going to be ready far sooner then any of the others. Are you glad that you're going to be living near Fera still?”

To this Sora gave a nod. “Actually I really am. She's the only person I'm used to being able to see me whenever she wants other then you. I'm going to hate our time apart.” While Mirin planned to come and live with her Sora also knew he would be remaining in the forest to finish his silk worm experiments. The citadel simply offered him too many advantages.

“Let's not talk about that and hope that the transportation system is finished in time.”

***********************************************************************************

Dremera's tail flicked back and forth happily while she held Ethan against herself. Currently she was setting down and leaned back with Ethan laying on top of her. At first Ethan had seemed uncertain of what was going on but he had relaxed soon enough and now was just laying there quietly. For her part Dremera was looking around the room while continuing to grin. She had licked Ethan on top of the head once but her mommy had prevented her from doing it a second time. She wasn't certain why but she was glad that she could hold him.

Joseph had been astounded by what Stella had told him. Pera had been allowed to hold Allen at a very early age. Apparently Stella had kept both of them within arms reach and watched them the entire time but she had allowed the young faelom to hold her son. She had told them that Ethan would cry the moment he was the least bit uncomfortable. So long as they kept a close eye on the two of them they should be fine. Stella had also recommended having a healer on hand. Apparently she had a very powerful healing potion on her at the time though that was something she didn't want spread around. “Well at least she likes my son more then.” Joseph went silent as Dremera looked at him and gave a slight hiss. “me.”

Maria had to lock her jaw tight to keep from bursting into laughter. Dremera seemed fine around Joseph these days but from time to time she would still hiss at him. It was cute. A soft grunt reached her ears and Maria noticed Ethan's brow beginning to crinkle up for a moment. She heard his heart rate speeding up and then she noticed Dremera relax and a moment later so did Ethan. “That is adorable. I'm amazed by how still she is.”

Mina, “Well she has someone to protect.”

“That is true. So what else did Stella say?”

“Well she said that Dremera would likely tire of holding Allen after half an hour or so. Apparently that was pretty much Pera's maximum at the time as well. He's too young to play with her still and a faelom as young as her can't stay still for long without having something to play with or destroy. Hey Mina how is Dremera doing with her puzzle?”

“She finally managed to get the ring out.”

“Without breaking it?”

“Yes. You should have heard her hiss whenever she came back and the room had been cleaned up. She found that the ring had been placed back inside the puzzle and through such a fit.” Mina smiled as she reached down and patted her daughter on the head. Dremera didn't respond much but continued to hold Allen. “I don't believe I was ever allowed to hold a brother as young as Ethan whenever I was the same age as Dremera.”

Maria, “Would that be surprising?”

“No. I believe she may be becoming a little board.”

Joseph, “Just let her hold Ethan for a while. Stella also said if we take Ethan away from her early that will just rekindle her desire to hold onto him. She needs to learn that this early on Ethan isn't going to be doing much more then sleeping. He seems to like the bells the protectors put on his crib and that's about it.”

Mina, “He can reach them?”

Maria, “No. He just seemed to like looking at them.”

***********************************************************************************

“Mirin I need to speak with you.” Lestel had been waiting for Mirin to finish with his work for the time being. As he had began to clean up his work area and finish writing down his results she'd moved to speak with him and began to help put things away. If he would have left them alone she would have handled them for him but many of the apprentices liked to handle their own clean up.

“What is it?” Mirin was used to Sora coming out of nowhere to pick him up. Having a protector appear out of nowhere to speak to him was hardly a shocking event to him.

“We would appreciate it if you were to call a meeting of all the apprentices and faelom. We've been talking amongst ourselves and believe that it's time that we revealed ourselves to the community as a whole.”

This was something Mirin had been waiting for. The number of faelom and apprentices that knew their secret had been increasing after all. It was only a matter of time before enough knew to avoid any problems. Apparently they believed that point had been reached. “I see. Well I'm glad you believe the time has finally come. When would you like to have this meeting?”

“The morning three days from now would be preferred. We don't actually have a preference for the time. We even considered leaving the citadel and simply introducing ourselves to various faelom but resolved that would cause more of a stir then having them gather here. The three days is simply so the information has time to reach every faelom.”

To this Mirin gave a nod. “So you don't want to talk about whether or not this is the right time?”

“We've already discussed that amongst ourselves. We don't believe there will be a time in which you're more prepared. Even now we risk hostility caused by our request to maintain our secret.”

“That is true.” They were part of a society in which the faelom were used to the apprentices keeping certain secrets from them and the reverse was true as well. This was quite a large secret though and he knew there would be some hurt feelings because they were left out. Hopefully most would be happy with the discovery. “Is there any place in particular that you want to speak with them?”

“Simply pick a location that is close to the citadel. I'm certain they'll be quite shocked to see us outside.” As she spoke Lestel was having to push her excitement off on the other protectors in order to retain a calm composure. They had finally agreed to return to the faelom society openly. The apprentices still had a long ways to go but she was certain things were going to become even better. They were rapidly approaching the maximum social expansion for the time being but they weren't there yet.

***********************************************************************************

“I'm afraid I can't say what size you're going to be after Azon's final work is finished.” Naidra was currently setting in front of Zarena. She had come to visit her. Fortunately Nathan was with them as well so Zarena could speak somewhat freely and not worry about alerting anyone. They would simply suspect she was talking to Nathan.”In part that will be decided by you and how long you choose to undergo the procedure. I believe I should mention though. For some your increased size may become a true adaptation.”

Nathan, “I had wondered about that. So if a faelom's body does remain at a certain size even after its done undergoing its transformation then would you say that is that faelom's true size?”

“Yes and well some faelom may grow do to this. I often listen to Maria talking about wanting to maintain her current size so that she can remain within the citadel yet she intends to freely make use of Azon's work. She may not get the end result she expects. Zarena you might not get the end result you expect either.”

For a moment Zarena said nothing but then took in a deep breath. “Well surely I'm going to end up smaller then this.”

“It is extremely likely. It's likely enough that I believe you're safe in drawing comfort from such thoughts. Nathan do you have something on your mind?”

“A few things yes. One thing I've been thinking about is well your visit.”

“I felt the need to come and see the two of you without being asked. This wasn't a decision made by the protectors as a whole but something I felt I should do. We are individuals after all. I look forward to being able to visit either of you without having to hide my presence.” Naidra hadn't said it but part of her felt like she was setting down and speaking with friends. As if Nathan and Zarena were closer to fellow protectors then apprentices and faelom. She felt similar with others but Nathan and Zarena received help from her memories and past versions of herself.

Zarena, “It's understandable to want to see others before things change even if they are changing for the better. I hope that you don't mind answering so many questions about me.”

“Believe me. It's easier to answer questions about others then ourselves. Talking about yourself can end up revealing a weak point.”

Naidra's response actually surprised Nathan to a fair extent. She had seemed quite open with them before but he hadn't asked her about anything that might leave the protectors vulnerable. “Naidra if I wanted to know what area of the citadel housed your power source would you tell me?”

“You want to test the limits of what I'm willing to tell about myself. Our power source is held in the secure areas of the citadel and that's all the information you're going to get about its location.” Naidra gave Nathan a large grin even as he nodded his head. The notion of telling someone exactly where their energy source was housed was actually very unpleasant to her. It would mean someone could try planning a strike against the citadel and they would have at least some idea of what areas to aim for. The fact that their primary power source was housed in the citadel wasn't a secret to anyone though so she could speak of it freely.

“Well that leaves plenty of room for guess work. I'm going to guess the hardest section of the citadel to reach.”

“Not quite.”

“Seriously?”

“I have told you before. They are things housed within the citadel that are far more dangerous then even us. Perhaps the day will come that you will reach them.”

Zarena, “I remember you mentioning that. Now are they becoming less dangerous with time or more dangerous?”

“They're either staying as dangerous or becoming less dangerous. If they were becoming more dangerous we would have to destroy them. If we were able. Now why don't we get back to the pleasant questions? I don't want the two of you pushing my security limits too far.”

It was tempting to continue asking more questions about the citadel. Nathan didn't actually want the information or expect it he just wanted to continue pushing Naidra for a bit longer. If she wanted them to stop for the moment he would though. If he didn't Zarena was liable to give him a flick. “That if is a bit frightening. I have been wondering. Zarena has been asleep for a very long time and she's only developed two mutations. What makes you so sure she's going to develop more?”

“Azon's work smooths the process considerably. Even if a faelom slumbered for thirty years and didn't develop a mutation his work would insure she did. Though the mutation would be in accordance with her nature. I also want to mention Zarena only has two mutations that you know of.”

Zarena, “What?”

“Zarena when was the last time someone tried to use magic to influence your mind?”

“I don't believe anyone ever has.”

“You're probably right about that. However, that doesn't mean your body hasn't changed to make you even more resistant to such influences. Some faelom have adaptations that simply express themselves in such a way that they can't be seen.”

For a moment Zarena said nothing. “So I might have been altered in ways that I don't know and won't notice until a threat makes the changes very clear. So how many of the faelom had slept without developing a mutation?”

“Fewer then you may believe. A lot of them have mutations that just aren't impressive. If a faelom was to develop a mutation that made her a tenth stronger then she would be otherwise would it be noticed? No. When you speak of adaptations you think of Mina, Maria, Fera, Sora and so on. You don't think of the little subtle changes that can be surpassed by effort. Kersara for example I can assure you doesn't have a mutation. In terms of her body she is a standard faelom. She's just pushed herself very hard. I fully expect her first adaptation to be very impressive.”

Nathan, “What would you say if she only developed a minor change?”

“Joseph and Dan did something wrong and they should retry the procedure.”

Now Nathan gave a slight chuckle. “So Kersara has a lot of potential?”

“You don't push yourself like she did without a very strong spirit to motivate the body or without being pushed by someone or something else.”

To this Nathan nodded his head. “So are you really saying that Zarena has a third mutation? I'd really like you to tell us if she does.”

For a moment Naidra said nothing but looked up at Zarena. She looked like she was desperate to know as well. “Yes. Zarena you are actually even more resistant to mystic energies then most faelom. You are more resistant to harmful mystic energies then most faelom that is. With your eyes, your claws, your teeth and your resistance you were clearly meant to be a predator to spirits. As a mystic being yourselves this isn't surprising. It also means you're very well equipped for combating golems, dragons and a other creatures as well. If the Luvarians were still active well you would have been a wonderful help during the infernal invasion.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

Nathan, “Did that help her whenever she faced off against the Amalgam?”

“Yes but not as much as you might suspect. Zarena with your combat experience you had the Amalgam outmatched even without your increased endurance. You would have came out worse for the experience if your body hadn't already adapted to resist mystic influences but you would have won.”

Zarena, “Well that's good to know. So how much more resistant to magic am I?”

“That really differs a lot from faelom to faelom. Let's just say that you're significantly more resistant then you would be otherwise.”

To this Zarena gave a nod. “Of course. Everyone would just think my durability was due to my massive size. I can understand why it would go unnoticed. So what's the least impressive adaptation you've noticed.” Zarena was actually quite surprised whenever Naidra gave a sharp chuckle before clamping her hand down over her mouth. “What?”

“Oh! Well okay. There was one faelom's whose body actually became weaker after she was forced to sleep so that she wouldn't require as much energy. I know conserving energy can be beneficial but the reduction in her performance was a steep price to pay.”

Nathan, “That can happen! I thought all adaptations were beneficial.”

“This was a very strange event. I'm not certain how but while the faelom was sleeping she became spiritually weaker. It happened while her body was going through its alterations and that was the end result. She didn't even notice the change when she woke up after all. Every faelom is weak after sleeping like that. Well except for a few. Had she tried to push herself after waking up she would have noticed her weakness but she was never particularly driven after sleeping.” After a moment Naidra gave a slight shrug.

Zarena, “So she never noticed the change?”

“No. She only did task that were relatively easy to perform. She was never particularly ambitions at all really. It was actually indifference that got her into trouble to begin with.”

For a moment Zarena said nothing but there was one thing that struck her as very strange. “Naidra I don't believe I've ever seen a faelom I would call indifferent.”

“She was a strange one to begin with. I admit we wondered how she even survived her birth. Our best guess was that she just barely met the energy requirements and her mother provided her a stable enough environment while she was within the womb for her to survive. We talked a little bit about what the Luvarians would have done if they had been around to see her. I suspect they would have let her be but considered her a failure.”

Nathan, “They wouldn't try to fix her?”

“This isn't the type of thing that's easy to fix. It can be impossible. She came into the world like a faelom that was nearing the end of her life span.”

***********************************************************************************

“That's a good boy Ethan. Are you ready to burp for daddy?” As he spoke Joseph placed Ethan across his shoulder and began to lightly pat him on his back. The infant had just finished a bottle of Maria's milk. Milk that she wouldn't allow Joseph to add anything to. He hadn't put up a very good argument as to why she should either. Joseph at the time wasn't certain it would be in Ethan's best interest to add anything to the milk so his suggestion had been more of a reluctant request. “Maria what are you doing?”

“You really don't believe a few drops of this in Ethan's milk would hurt him?” Currently Maria was looking at the potion Joseph had prepared. She would have normally been all for something that would give their son a better chance at life and maintain his health. Then Joseph had started talking about the possible issues and she'd become scared. He had then tried to explain why it wouldn't harm Ethan but he had sounded so uncertain. It felt like he wanted her to say no so that he could toss the idea aside and move on. The more she thought about it though the less certain she was becoming.

“I don't know Maria. I remember reading about how alchemy could influence a still developing body in remarkable ways. At times the alterations aren't good though and my knowledge on such subjects is still very incomplete. Even with everything that I've learned while here I still can't be certain the results would be beneficial. I asked the protectors earlier if they have an augmentation packet. You know like if a king wanted to give his son or daughter the best start on life possible and they said the Luvarians did. Then she told me that I shouldn't use it. It was strange.”

For a moment Maria was silent. That didn't seem like the type of behavior she'd seen from the protectors. “Why did she say it shouldn't be used?”

“When I asked she said it was meant for a wealthy person who had more then one child to spare. The success rate wasn't one hundred percent and at times the child died.  Then she insisted that I should just let Ethan play with his mystic toys and let his body develop for a few years. Apparently the child needs to reach three or five years old before they can guarantee safe treatment.”

Maria didn't even think to ask about the failure rate. Even if only one in ten of the children had died the risk would be too great. She wasn't even prepared to tolerate a one in a thousand chance that Ethan would be killed. “That's really surprising. I mean the Luvarians were making new life forms all the time.”

Naidra, “Well that's because a child's body is so dynamic. Just living here Ethan is going to be exposed to mystic energies other then his own. His body is going to respond to those energies. Now when you ask us to make intentional changes to his being as well you can end up having a lot of different things going on at the same time and that simply isn't tolerable for a body as delicate as his.” Naidra gave Joseph and Maria a large grin as she walked into the room. They had become used to her visits. She had heard them talking through the citadel and been chosen to go speak with them. “We're also a little concerned that you're still thinking about using such potions.”

Joseph, “What do you mean?”

“Such potions once in a while. Such as to help Ethan fight off a sickness would be beneficial. However, regular exposure isn't a good idea. I'm just going to say. Don't let him drink the formula unless he's sick.”

After a moment of silence Joseph gave a nod. “You're that certain of it?”

“Yes I am.”

After a moment of silence Joseph perked up a bit. “Wait a minute. You said that Ethan would be exposed to mystic energies living here. Are you saying there is enough in the environment to influence him?”

“Yes. Joseph if you want to remove Ethan from the citadel and from any exposure to your work for a few years then I would recommend giving him such potions. There is plenty of ambient energy in the citadel itself though. So much that you don't want to risk adding more to what Ethan is already being exposed to.”

Maria, “Hold on Naidra. Shouldn't we be able to feel the influence of the magic?”

“Joseph how strong is the potion you planned on giving Ethan?”

For a moment Joseph didn't respond then realization set in. “I see. So the influence is very subtle but combined with another very subtle influence and it could be harmful to an infant.”

“Yes. When exposed to too much magic they have been some very unfortunate events. Included in this is one case where the rib cage formed more quickly then it should have and destroyed the infants heart. Fortunately the infant was saved but it is dangerous.”

Maria, “How was the infant saved?”

“One of the Luvarians conducting the projects was a very powerful necromancer. She extracted the child's spirit and took care of the spirit until a new body could be prepared from its untainted flesh. This wasn't a one time event though and some of them didn't survive.”

Maria, “And you're sure there is no chance of that happening to Ethan?”

“As long as you don't try to introduce mystic energy into his system constantly. Just let him soak up what the citadel produces naturally and play with his toys. Oh! Which reminds me this entire conversation was very distracting. We're working on a new toy for him. What color would you prefer?”

Maria, “Color for what?”

“A toy animal to cuddle with.”

Joseph felt like his brain had stopped working for a moment. “Is this toy magical in anyway?”

“Well it does make the holder feel safe and relaxed.”

Maria, “So it's not magical?”

“Yes it is. That's its magic affect. It draws its power from its holder though so we're not introducing foreign energies into Ethan. We decided that he should have one to cuddle with after we watched him cuddling with Dremera. Calling it a stuffed animal isn't actually right. It's more like a stuffed faelom. Now what color would you prefer?”

***********************************************************************************

This felt very strange. Azera didn't know what to think as she stood in front of the citadel with a large gathering of faelom. What made the situation truly strange wasn't how much they had grown but the fact that none of them were giving her any hostile looks. She hadn't even heard any harsh comments. A few of them had glanced in her direction and while their glances weren't warm they weren't hostile either. They weren't sure what to think of her presence. Even this felt warm compared to how she had been looked at before. Part of her wanted to talk over to Nora and try speaking with her for a moment but she couldn't convince her legs to cooperate. For the moment it was nice just to be have her presence tolerated instead of being watched like she was an enemy.

“Is something on your mind?”

It felt like Azera's heart had jumped into her throat. As she turned around to look at Nora she felt like she was a child again. The faelom outside of the laboratory had been allowed to grow so much. “I was just thinking about talking a bit.”

Nora had known Azera before she had became one of the distrusted. Like most faelom she had cut relationships with her whenever the issues had began to show themselves. She was glad to see that her friend was returning to them. In some ways it felt like Azera had been dead and then returned to life. “If you want to talk I could stop by the laboratory later but I don't believe this is the place for catching up.”

“Yeah that would be nice.” It surprised Azera a bit when Nora mentioned coming by and visiting. “What are we doing here anyway?”

“I have no idea. I was told there was something important going to be revealed today. I'm hoping that we finally have enough spare energy to revive another sleeper or perhaps they've improved the fruit even more.”

There wasn't time for Azera to respond. She didn't know what to think whenever she saw three protectors walking into the center of the crowd. It was rare she saw the protectors though there were more and more stories about them. Seeing them outside of the citadel was shocking on an entirely different level. The fact that they had been gathered to do something vanished from Azera's mind. She didn't know what to think.

Naidra, “Greetings my fellow faelom. I am Naidra of the protector class faelom. I am pleased to be able to speak to you at long last and openly say welcome to the citadel. After our long silence I realize this must be extremely shocking. I am here to tell you that after current events the decision to restore dialogue has been made and we hope that you'll come to us with any questions now and in the future. I realize that some of you will be leaving the living area for new settlements as your size has increased. We will be taking steps to insure that your connection to the citadel isn't lost yet again. Now before we begin the actual questions I wish to tell you. We have always been able to speak, we chose silence after past events became violent and it is your progress and actions that have caused us to renew dialogue.”

A low rumble rolled through all the faelom and apprentices that had gathered. Naidra could hear their conversations though none of them moved to ask any questions. The protectors had resolved not to mention they had began speaking with other faelom and apprentices already. That would cause undo stress. She could see some of those that knew of the secret working to keep the others calm.

Mirin, “So what is this actually going to mean for us? You said we could ask you questions but what questions?” Mirin chose to speak as if he didn't already know the truth of the protectors. He didn't want the others to have time to begin speculating until they had more information.

Lestel, “The knowledge we can provide is limited. We can offer training in physical matters but we are not qualified to instruct others in the use of magic. We can also direct you to certain sources of information within the citadel but we can not grant you access to materials you don't already have access to.”

When Lestel had began speaking Stella's jaw had nearly hit the ground. She could still remember Allen telling her about when the protector had brought him the book very clearly.  “Where you guiding Allen whenever you gave him that book?”

Lestel, “Yes. We saw that your son was interested in advancing his knowledge of magic but you were resistant to the studies due to his young age. So we showed him a path that would likely remove that resistance. He has progressed down it nicely.”

Stella couldn't help but smile as surprising as the news was. The notion that even the protectors thought Allen was doing a good job was quite nice. “Thanks but you also said there was knowledge we don't have access to. How are we suppose to gain access to that?”

“There are several ways but the one I'll inform you of is make use of the knowledge found in the apprentices library. There is more then enough knowledge there for you to learn and if applied an apprentice may advance to a true luvarian. For my fellow faelom. I'm afraid that is a bit more difficult. I would recommend continuing to advance yourself but also seek to learn why your bodies respond as they do.”

***********************************************************************************

“That was interesting but I wish that it had ended sooner.” Currently Joseph was laying on top of Maria's legs while Ethan wrested in his arms. His own legs were positively aching at the moment. He had been there for the protectors big reveal and all the questions. It was the questions that were the real issue. The faelom had questioned them for several hours and in order to keep up appearances Joseph had remained among them. Maria had been given a reason to leave thanks to Ethan becoming frustrated with the environment. She had taken Dremera with her who seemed like she was becoming equally annoyed.

Maria's response was to run her fingers through Joseph's hair. “You know the questions didn't end there and probably won't end for a while. The protectors managed to get the most common questions out of the way at least.”

“How many do they have in the main hall speaking with the other faelom?”

“The last time I looked there were nineteen protectors speaking with the faelom and apprentices. A lot of them seemed to be referring the questions to the library after establishing how to use the statue. I'm just glad that no one has tried being forceful with the protectors.”

“What about the ones that were asked to leave?”

“Well when I say forceful I mean that Naidra hasn't had to knock anyone on their tail.” A soft giggle escaped Maria as Ethan seemed to try to take hold of her finger with his little hand. She quickly placed her finger against him. If he wanted to brush his little hand against her fur she was happy to let him. “You didn't like all the noise or the hot did you Ethan?”

“He did not. I guess the protectors wont have as much free time for a few days at least.”

“I'm sure they've left enough time in their schedule to continue helping you, Dan and Ridon with your studies. That and I have a feeling they still plan on visiting Ethan and Dremera very often. They don't need to sleep after all or eat or fatigue.”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he looked at Ethan. “You hear that Ethan? The ladies just can't seem to keep their hands off you can they?” As he spoke Joseph looked to Maria's hand which was currently resting against Ethan.

“Hey I'm his mother I can pet on him all I want!” Maria couldn't help but smile as she looked down at the two main men in her life. Using her tail she brought it up and lightly tickled Joseph's feet while using her right index finger to tickle Ethans. Her face became an open smile as she noticed that Joseph and Ethan's face scrunched up the same way when they were being tickled.

End Book 8

I hope you've enjoyed reading unyielding hunger. This will be the end of the story as far as one of the major stories I'm working on. This means no more weekly updates. An epilogue might be possible but that like all short stories depends on when the mood hits.

This story archived at http://www.giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=4246