- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Scat Warning

An alarm clock rang out in dark bedroom breaking the silence. Begrudgingly, a dainty pale arm unburied itself from a cocoon of bedsheets to turn it off; hitting it far harder than was probably required.

The arm proceeded to return under the cocoon of covers, where it remained for a good five minutes until at last the entire pile of blankets began to stir with a groan.

As the pile of blankets stretched up, the covering fell back to reveal a young 24 year old red head dressed in a disheveled tank top and half fallen off pair of shorts. Her name was Holly, and for the past two years since graduating college she had lived alone in this house working as a freelance writer and part time model.

"Ugh, Why can't I just live in my bed?" Holly groaned pulling back her thick red hair while scratching an itchy spot on the inside of her thighs.

She had just begun to think it was about time to shave her legs again when her fingers ran over one small circular patch near her crotch that was unexpectedly smooth.

"How does that keep happening?" Holly mused to herself half curious and half amused. She had noticed these patches appearing across her body for the past five years, and would have just attested it to being a scar or a part of her body that didn't grow hair if it hadn't been for the fact that they appeared in random locations each time and seemed to grow in size the longer she avoided shaving.

"I kind of wish they'd just cover my legs entirely so I wouldn't have to bother with shaving at all!" Holly groaned again before giving a large yawn. "I guess I should get ready for the day." she thought to herself before rubbing her bleary eyes and heading towards the washroom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I've just returned from doing maintenance on pipes 4698-4705." a man in a gas mask called out shutting the door behind him. With the seal ensured, he gave a gasp as he could finally remove his cumbersome hazmat gear.

These workers lived in the bowels of the world, (in more ways than one) A miraculous wonder of nature on this planet which gathered wasteful pollution from across the world before shooting it out into the vast void of space far beyond the orbit of the planet.

Many lives were lost when these tunnels were first discovered as the asteroids this volcano shot out were large enough to engulf half a solar system worth of planets. However, while it was at first considered a hazardous wasteland far too dangerous to explore, it didn't take too long for the industrialists of the planet to discover a use for it.

Pollution had always been a problem on their homeworld. While this new planet regenerated its overabundance of resources so fast that "Renewable resources" was no longer a problem, no one wanted to cover their new home with pollution and waste either. And as such an extensive piping system was created which spanned the entirety of the underground tunnels throughout their new planet to pump all waste; human, industrial, and more into the waste cavern where it would be blasted off world several times a day.

Of course, the existence of such pipes also meant the need to hire workmen to maintain them. And such was the purpose of the workers assigned to this colony.

In spite of the dangers found in this cavern, countless cities dotted the walls of the massive hollow lighting up the dark sky like stars in the distance. Thanks to the massive size of their new home, ringworld-esque countries like this one were possible in spite of being physically impossible with the gravity of their old world.

In spite of the size of these metropolises, the people who lived here did so out of necessity, not choice. Being a collection of a planet's worth of waste, the air in the cavern were quite stagnant. If it were not for every building being equipped with space travel worthy oxygen generators, and detoxifying showers in their airlock doorways, living within these caverns would have been completely impossible.

There was of course, still one problem that science had not been able to solve at this point.

Just as the worker had finished removing his hazmat suit, the whole world began to shake knocking him to his feet.

"OH SHIT! WE'RE HAVING AN ERUPTION!" the man cried out as alarm lights flashed throughout his apartment and the warning siren blared.

Running to the survival pod, the man strapped himself into his seat and lowered the rollbar cage over him.

Each house was also equipped with these survival pods which included shock resistant suspension, a gforce safe seat, and enough supplies to keep an occupant alive for weeks should their apartment end up buried in waste.

This specific model of pod also included a massive viewing port with glass strong enough to handle a meteor shower's impact.

The man watched in awe as the massive cylinder of waste; infinite times larger than their home planet, slowly travelled through the giant cavern encouraged along by the soft moving walls surrounding them.

Even the collective industrial and human waste of every being on this planet barely contributed enough to this moving mountain to be visible.

As the massive heap of waste neared the end of the cavern, a hole began to open like a tight sphincter flooding the cavern with the only true, natural light it would ever see.

Some braver denizens of the waste caverns would make frequent trips outside of the sphincter to get some fresher air, harvest the sparse lumber that surrounded the sphincter, or even just explore.

Apparently the sphincter sat in the valley of two massive hills unscaleable by even the best climbers.

While many wanted to see this marvel at least once, being caught outside the caverns when an eruption happened was considered deadly as no one who had had ever survived to tell of what happened.

Some scientists pondered if the deaths had anything to do with the bits of white fiber material which could sometimes be found in the canyons of the great sphincter after an eruption, but as of yet, nothing had been proven.

The man sat back and watched as the sphincter grew in size, stretching so large that even the massive mountain of waste could fit through easily. The log slid slowly out of the sphincter bit by bit until at last enough of it left the orbit of the planet and the entire massive heap flew away into the void of space like the most powerful volcanic eruption known to man.