- Text Size +
It was towards the evening when Mr. Van Holland approached Tucker, wiping the blood from his hands with a rag. The man he had carried to safety had finally expired after a long, drawn out death. There was not much anyone could do for him except to hold his hand. Tucker had administered last rights and then left to addend to other wounded. 
 
"We can't stay here," said Mr. Van Holland firmly after he had taken Tucker aside.
"I know," agreed Tuck.
"We stay and they'll come for us. It'll be just like last time. Only worse. No one may survive at all."
"I know," reiterated Tuck. He was getting annoyed at Van Holland for driving the point home.
"We have to move." Mr. Van Holland said with a sigh. He said it more to himself than anyone else. His voice did not carry its typical resolution of a natural leader but a dripped with a fatigued resignation of the weary whose hand had been forced. He allowed Tuck to see how he really felt for the briefest of moments.
 
"We should start running while it's dark."
"They'll catch us," said Tuck.
"Of course they will," nodded Van Holland, now back to looking like the unshakable, valiant man of iron that he was before. "They'll catch us and eat us. Every last one of us. But you know the score Father. There is a life after death. A good one.”
 
Tuck nodded. The realization that they were going to die was a harsh one but he believed more firmly than ever that there was a heaven. He hoped he had lead a good enough life to reach it.
 
"Don’t look so forlorn, boy. You've got to give these people hope. We'll let them sleep for another hour and then we'll move them. Past her." Mr. Van Holland pointed out the window.
 
They stared out the window adjacent to where they stood. It afforded them a good view of the town. They could see Amy at one end of the main street, guarding the exit while she toyed with three men before her. As they watched she would pick one up, lick him, talk to him and then put him down to grab another man. Then she would torture him, bring him to her mouth to swallow and at the last second, rub him against her belly before moving on to the next man. She alternated with the three of them, round and round. Occasionally, she would swallow a man and then scrounge around in a nearby building for a new toy. Telling him not to be afraid. That she was glad to meet him. That she would take care of him. She had been doing this for hours and it had kept most of Tucker's group awake and wide-eyed for much of the night. Now Amy was winding down but still awake.
 
However it was not towards Amy that Van Holland pointed. It was towards Jessica who lay curled at the other end of the town road. She was asleep and had been for a few hours.
 
The moon bathed her in pale white light. Her face looked too pretty for a master artist to even attempt a likeness. Her knees were drawn up to her chest and she had wrapped her arms around them. the picture of innocence.  
  
She was anything but. Jessica had easily eaten as many if not more people than Amy. Jess also went after her victims with a relish and a fervor that could be attributed to a starving lioness who delighted in the hunt. She gave every indication of savoring every bight. The screams of fear, the blind panic the death and destruction that she caused were all icing on the cake. Tuck had watched in abject horror at one particular incident. Jessica had pried open a bus of children and eaten them one by one like sardines. All the while she fired off questions at them about what they knew about the digestive system. Several men who were situated next to the heinous act had taken it upon themselves to distract the woman and rushed out into the street. Amy had ignored their arm waving and their firing of guns (which had absolutely no affect upon her) and waited until one of them ran close enough to her that she could easily grab him without reaching too much. He had gotten a brief sentence or two about the foolishness and futility of his endeavor before being swallowed alive. Jess had then finished off the school bus and then turned her attention to the remaining men who stood in the street trying to gain her attention, not realizing that she had just cleared her plate of her appetizer as it were and they were merely throwing their lives away. Those brave men were next. She had lay down in the street, her form crushing a few buildings. At least one man, either by accident or by design, had disappeared under a gigantic boob. She then set to work dragging kicking and screaming into her luscious mouth. She had licked her lips between men and told the others how the last had tasted. "Ooh he's really wiggling!" she had said with a shudder of enjoyment and a toss of the head. Blonde hair had flown behind her. Then she would go on to the next. When the last was eaten she rolled onto her side and grabbed up the man who had been trapped under her boob. Amazingly, he was still alive. He raised one battered hand in protest to her, which she promptly used to pick him off the sidewalk and convey him to her mouth where she swallowed him whole.
 
The whole spectacle had made Tucker sick and he couldn't watch any more. He had needed to sit down and prey hard, trying unsuccessfully to tune out Jessica's continued rampage.
 
Now, looking at her, asleep and calm, it was hard to believe she was the same person. But she was. Those beautiful features had twisted in evil delight at the destruction she caused. Deep within her body there were men, women and children being digested.
 
"Why her?" asked Tucker. "Why not try to get passed Amy? We did once before."
"Because Jessica's fast asleep. She is full of food and out cold. Besides, we got lucky with Amy. Don't expect the same luck twice."
"Perhaps not. But we must have faith in God. He may help us again," Tuck reminded him.
"Let's hope so," nodded Mr. Van Holland
   

They crept through the darkness as quietly as they were able, which to Tucker's ears, was all too noisy. They crept behind the buildings. and tried to keep something between them and the sleeping giantess at all times.
 
The steep mountains surrounding the town made a direct escape from the town impossible for all but the most experienced of climbers and even then ropes and safety equipment would be needed. The two people who Tucker had seen try it had been swallowed on the spot. No, they would have to get passed Amy or Jessica to leave the town, where the rock side had been cleared away with dynamite.
 
Of course, Jessica was sleeping right in front of the damn exit. They couldn't catch a break.
Tuck winced as he heard several feet scrape against the ground. The wounded and those carrying the wounded were severely hampered in their stealth, which made for a lot of unnecessary noise. Tuck bit back a comment aimed at Mr. Van Holland's size fourteen feet when he saw the strong man was carrying two people over his shoulders. 
 
Despite the noise, they might make it after all. Tuck dared to hope that they would escape. Half the party was now passed Jessica's feet and were even now making...
 
Jessica suddenly shifted positions, straightening her legs and plowing over people like two gigantic bulldozers. Screams of fright and pain tore the night. Tuck thought they might be okay, Jessica still was lying down, asleep, unmoving. Then her eyes opened and she sat up and blinked a few times. It took her a second to clear her head but someone yelled, "Run," and everyone took off in a blind panic. Jessica shook off her sleep and smiled down at the tiny creatures on either side of her.
"Just what I need, a midnight snack," she said and set about collecting people.
 
Her legs now blocked off the exit from the town so those who had not already crossed were now cut off. Jessica seemed to realize this and concentrated her efforts upon the people who had managed to sneak past her.
 
Huge hands picked up people with less effort than Tuck would have needed to move chess pieces. One man, however, was spared from her hands. Jessica's huge, moist, wet, soft, kissable lips descended upon Mr. Van Holland, surrounding him on all sides. They closed together, scooping him up along with the two wounded that he carried. Refusing to drop his charges, he paid a hero’s price for it.
 
The gigantic lips closed, sand and dirt clinging to the outside of them from when she had kissed the earth to consume Mr. Van Holland and company. Tuck watched her throat move ever so slightly and her head tilt backwards just a bit to allow Mr. Van Holland to pass down her throat. He was alive, at that moment. Tuck couldn't believe it. He had been standing next to him a moment ago. Now he was in Jessica's stomach with the two people he had been trying to carry to safety.
 
Jessica's eyes found Tucker, staring mindlessly at her.
recognition flashed in her features. A smile spread across her face. 
"Why hello there Tucker. I had hoped we would bump into each other again."
Tucker didn't wait for more information about why she was so enthusiastic to see him but instead he ran for it, knowing all the while that it was futile. She would grab him in a second.
 
What really surprised him was when she didn’t. He looked back at her and realized she already had too many people in her grasp to simply grab him. she was trying to put them all behind her so that they could not escape and she could get Tucker. However there were others nearer to her that she could more easily catch and she focused on them.  Tucker ran for his life. Upon looking backwards to see if he was being followed, he realized that several people had managed to escape and were running after him. Together they found a nook in the rocks to hide from Jessica. Tucker camouflaged them and they hunkered down as the giantess made a few passes looking for them. Eventually she was forced to give up until daylight. Tucker breathed a sigh of relief. His body was exhausted and he decided that he would let himself sleep for just a few moments before continuing on with his few companions.