- Text Size +
Kimberly hurried out of the darkening woods until she reached the road. Which way should she go? It was not yet 10 pm, and if she returned home this early her brother would know she was lying, and maybe even think she went back to the UFO! She couldn't let him find out about her discovery... whatever it was.

From its outward appearance she guessed it was something like a phasor from the Star Trek universe. It looked very hi-tech, and it was also very small in her hand. She shuddered to think of what strange being had once held this. Clearly something strange happened in the woods recently, but so far the news had not said a word of it. "They don't know. No one knows anything yet," Kim thought to herself. Maybe tomorrow one of them would alert the authorities, but for now Deb said to keep quiet.

This was exactly what Kim intended to do. Still, she was interested in figuring out what this device actually did. She would need a quiet isolated place to test it out. The closest place she knew of was the forest park. Unfortunately, bad people often congregated there during the night. It was also closed after dark, and a curfew was in effect. Anyone caught in the park now could be arrested.

She wasn't sure, but she had a feeling that this device was some sort of weapon. If she did encounter any trouble in the park, she might be able to vaporize it! Besides, things had quieted down there in recent months thanks to strong curfew enforcement. She decided she would chance it, and took a bike trail that she knew would take her to a rest area. In the center of this rest area there was an enormous engraved monolith that marked some significant event in the town's history, but no one really cared about it, and the city had a difficult time keeping it free of graffiti. This would be her first target, and maybe no one would even notice if it had been blasted to smithereens.

It didn't take her long to reach the rest area. Lights surrounded the monolith which made it easy to locate. Kimberly cautiously moved towards it. She looked every which way and listened carefully but couldn't make out any hint of human activity, except for the traffic in the distance - this was a good sign. Still some distance away from the memorial (she didn't want to risk being hit by exploding shards), she raised the remote shaped device and carefully aimed it, and then pressed down on the trigger.

Kim's eyes went wide and she gasped in amazement as a green energy rapidly enveloped the monolith! Within an instant, the energy disappeared, taking the memorial with it! She rushed over to find some trace of the large stone. Here she found a crater where the rock had once rested, but surprisingly there was no rubble or debris of any kind all over, except for the center of the hole where she thought she saw...

Was her eyes deceiving her? She rubbed them in disbelief, but the image remained. In the center of the crater she could still see the memorial, but now it was only a few inches in height! Somehow she had managed to reduce the monolith into a stone that could be skipped across the surface of a lake! Her face nearly split apart from the enormous grin that spontaneously appeared as she began to consider the possibilities. This device she had found was by far cooler than the stupid toys that Deb and Kev had claimed for themselves. "Serves them right that I find the best thing. That's what they get for being selfish!" she said.

Fortunately the area was deserted and there had been no incident so far. She accomplished what she came here for, and that was the important thing. "And this here is a nice little bonus," giggled Kim, as she plucked the memorial from the ground and placed it in the pocket of her denim shorts, just as easily as if it had been any other pocket sized stone. She stood up and was about to leave when a deep male voice broke the silence, "Hold it right there!"

Startled, Kim turned and was terrified to see a policeman walking over to her with a flashlight in one hand and the other next to his handgun. "Who are you, and what are you doing here after curfew?" he demanded, shining his bright light in Kim's face, blinding her.

--------

Nothing made officer Corsky more disgusted than young punks who had no respect for the accomplishments of his generation. He was on patrol when he observed some green light coming from the nearby rest area. Right away, his suspicions were that some punk teenagers were up to mischief. "Not on my watch!" he thought, as he raced to the scene. He quietly exited his car and crept towards the memorial which he was shocked to find had completely vanished! "Whoever did this was really in for it!" he thought.

But as he got closer he could only make out one person in the area - a girl in her late teens or early 20s with shoulder length red hair and the sort of clothing you would not expect the typical thug to be wearing. "Hold it right there!" he said, and then shined his flashlight into her face. He asked who she was, but he thought he recognized her as someone he busted a few weeks earlier for shoplifting. He didn't remember her name, but he remembered she had no respect for the property of others. The question is, what was she doing her and what happened to the memorial?

"I don't know," said the girl. "I was just walking down the sidewalk when I saw some weird green light over here and came over to investigate. I don't know what happened to the memorial, but it seems to have disappeared." At that, the young redhead shrugged her shoulders.

He had a feeling she knew more than she was telling. Directing the flashlight over at the crater, he could see that it was indeed missing. "Impossible!" he exclaimed. He thought that nothing short of heavy machinery could lift the monolith from its foundation, so he then started to scour the area looking for some sign of this phantom equipment; this proved to be his undoing, for in doing so he shifted his attention away from the young woman (whom by now he had assumed couldn't possibly be responsible for this), and was taken completely by surprise as he was engulfed by the same sort of green light he had witnessed minutes earlier! He screamed in terror as he found himself standing in the same crater where the monument once stood; only now it was the size of a canyon!

His ordeal soon became even more horrific when a trailer-sized Doc Martin slammed onto the loose soil, sending a small avalanche of dirt onto him. He did his best to shield himself as he became buried in it up to his waist, trapping him. Far above him he heard the young woman speak: "Looks like that mysterious green light got you too. Don't worry, I'll help you!"

Officer Corsky began to tremble uncontrollably as he looked up, and up, and up for hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of feet until his eyes at last met with the enormous green eyes of the giant girl. The rest area was well illuminated, and it wasn't hard to make out the billboard size grin on her pale face. The redheaded titaness began to squat down, and officer Corsky struggled frantically to dig away the dirt from his holster; but deep down, a part of him realized his gun would be an annoyance at best. The microscopic bullet would not even break the delicate skin of her eyeball (assuming the bullet could travel that vast distance at all, which was doubtful).

There was nothing he could do to oppose the girl's fingers, which wrapped around his body like a boa constrictor and effortlessly lifted him up, dizzyingly, far into the sky until she could speak to him face to face. Her green eyes were so large and far apart that he could not behold both of them at the same time from this close - but they could behold him. A chill ran down the length of his spine.

--------

Kimberly grinned at the tiny policeman in her palm. Just a few minutes ago she never gave much thought to the notion of reducing someone to the size of a baby mouse, yet somehow she had become the first human in the world to dwindle someone to this size. She wasn't even sure how the device managed to do it, but she didn't care. All she knew was that it gave her nearly unlimited power to control others. As luck would have it, this first shrink victim turned out to be none other than the very same policeman who had recently arrested her for shoplifting! She wondered if he remembered her. "No matter," she thought, she would have all night to refresh his memory.

"Well officer, I don't know what happened to you or the monument. How about you come home with me so we can do some sleuthing to crack this mystery?" Kim said as she held her shirt pocket open and nonchalantly dropped the screaming man inside. She then patted him down to make sure he was in deep and unable to escape. Then she turned her attention over to his patrol car and wondered what she should do about it. With a shrug, she zapped it down to the size of a toy.

She picked it up and carefully looked it over. "Hmm, not bad. Might be worth some money in a chop shop or something, as long as I can regrow it. Otherwise, I guess some kid gets a new toy," she thought. She then observed some shadowy figure moving around in the backseat. "Tsk. Looks like someone broke the law tonight." she shook her head in disapproval. It was too dark to make out who or what was in the backseat, and she loved surprises, so she decided to leave that a mystery until she got home.

She was worried about sliding the car into her denim pocket as she had done with the monument, because it might get crushed in such a tight space; so she decided the best thing to do was simply carry it. And so it was that Kimberly set off with a 10ft monolith in her left shorts pocket; a policeman in her shirt pocket; a police car (complete with mystery occupant) in her hand; and of course, last but not least, her shrink ray in her right shorts pocket!

"Not bad for one night!" she said.