- Text Size +

Bounding on the vine, into the room, Amalia swung through a table. She knocked a vial of translucent liquid all over herself - the label read "Drink Me." The Sadida felt its contents splashing over her body, from green head to bare toes. Unable to control the arc of her swing, she crashed right into the minuscule doorknob.

"Urgh..." It felt like bees were buzzing about the princess' flowery head. The ceiling spun, growing distant and unreachable. A chilly sensation traversed her brown flesh, as the "drink" seeped into her pores, watering her. With every beat of her heart, she felt herself sink. Like she was... shrinking? She got to her feet, and watched as the minuscule door's frame rose to her ankles; then her knees; then her midriff, and white top; until she could comfortably fit through it. "Oww... What kind of potion is this?"

To her surprise, the doorknob began groaning with her. "That's the hardest knock I've had in a while..."

"A talking... door? I've spoken to trees, but this is something else." She tugged on it, trying to twist it open. "Will you open up, for the Princess Amalia Sheran Sharm?"

In a congested, wheezy tone, it spoke again: "Princess? I don't know of any princess here in Wonderland..." The gold orb refused to budge. "Are you sure you're a princess, and not a potless plant?"

The Sadida clenched her teeth. She was now kicking at the colourful wall - pounding her bare foot to it in brusque slams. "Please! I think I saw a bad guy pass through here! And besides, this room really isn't doing it for my skin!"

With a sneeze, and a shake of its handle, the knob began chuckling. "Are all princesses this persistent? All you need is the key. That glimmering, golden key..." His eyes, brassy and glossed-over, pointed up to the top of a table. Once, it was the perfect height for Amalia. Now, it towered high above both of them.

She coughed back. "So greedy! Just like an Enutrof I know..." It was a long ascent up the table legs. Amalia channeled her energy, and called on nature to help lift her; but there wasn't even a flower in the wide space. Vines emerged from the floorboards, instead: warped, multicoloured, and bizarre; following their own path, as they weaved around the glass furniture. "What?" She formed fists in frustration. "What kind of weeds are these?"

The doorknob chuckled. "You should rather ask, what kind aren't they?"

One rogue, purplish vine knocked Amalia off her feet; pressing her right into the door. Her groin pushed against the knob, causing a blush to cross her face. "Geez, you like making this hard, don't you?" The leafy undergarments stuck to the knob, pushing the damp, green material against him. "You really just want me to stay here with you, huh?"

The entity inhabiting the door reeled back, as best it could, for a stationary object. "Most certainly not, young woman! This keyhole just won't open for any old-"

"-Then you don't mind if I pick your lock?" Teasingly, she inserted a vine in his mouth, brushing it about in circles. He sputtered, the texture tickling gaping mouth. Feeling a little bolder, the princess lifted a leg, and pushed a whole toe in. It was like gagging him, with each wiggle making him twitch and shiver.

Finally, his rusty voice squealed: "Enough! Don't you have any other doors to bother?"

Amalia thought. "What if I made another one?" With another fierce kick, the Sadida princess hit the already-bashed house wall. "I'll just break my way through!"

SLAM. Her sole, dirty from days of travel, made a harsh noise against the wall - shaking the knob.

He cried: "Stop!"

SLAM. Another blow, accompanied by thin traces of moisture sticking to her soles.

The doorknob's protests continued: "Why, you wouldn't treat a window this way, would you?"

SLAM. This kick made the room tremble.

With her thin green brows furrowing, Amalia brushed accumulated dirt off her legs. "It's not working. Maybe if I cast that Sadida's Tear spell..."

It took a lot of focus. Rarely had she ever used this technique - she'd only seen her mom do it once, earlier than she could remember. With an ethereal glow, some water came from her hands. It didn't create the water jet she wanted; the spell manifested more like a rising puddle. However, fed by the liquid, those vines around her grew larger, wider. They knocked over the table, sending its key, bottle, and a tiny box splashing right behind her. This box's sudden crash in the waters generated a tidal wave; washing Amalia out through the bursting door. She vaguely heard the bemused doorknob shout "Good riddance!" behind her, as the waves carried her out into a vast forest.

*Splash...*