- Text Size +

Chapter 2 - Everything's okay

"Told you it was nothing honey.." said Kevin, relieved that the coughing they got from inhaling the mist only lasted less than ten minutes. It was completely gone as soon as they arrived at his company. Emily was about to leave after kissing her husband good luck, when a petite brunette casually approached the two of them.

"Morning, Mr Smith! Congratulations on the promotion! Oh hey Emily! I swear you're looking hotter every time I see you!" she said enthusiastically, greeting them both.

"Ruby! Never seen you wear that one before.. Must be new.. It suits you!" replied Emily referring to her shiny pair of heels, returning the compliment.

"Well, thank you! I think I might just be about as tall as you in these shoes." said Ruby looking at Emily in the eye. Kevin noticed that indeed with that stripey black pumps, Ruby the 4'10 petite receptionist is exactly the same height as his wife who is only 4'11 barefoot. Even when both are wearing heels, from Kevin's perspective they still look like two little kids talking to each other.

Emily and Ruby have known each other for a while. They crossed paths a few years back when she was still working at Emily's company. They've stayed casual friends ever since. Kevin however have only met her a few days earlier while he was given a tour of his new office floor. Ruby's upbeat and friendly personality practically eliminates any awkwardness between the two.

They both walked together towards the building as soon after Emily left. Standing right beside her, Kevin noticed that even though identical in height, Ruby's figure is less developed compared to his wife's. But despite her petite stature, her physicality wasn't what people would call plain though. Her short brown hair fits the shape of her face perfectly, her modest legs and ample breasts were enough to stand out of her office outfit.

"I hope you'll enjoy working here Mr Smith." said Ruby, welcoming the newest member in the office.

"Thank you. I can already see that even the hallways here is better than my old office." replied Kevin.

"Um, before you go in could you help me with something?" Ruby asked, while her sight locked on something on the wall.

"Sure, what is it?" answered Kevin.

"I need to get that folder off that shelf, but it's kinda too high for me." She tried extending her hand at as high as possible and Kevin could see it was still impossible for her to reach, even with the tall heels she's wearing.

"Hmm.. I think the shelf is not too high, it's probably you that's really short! Maybe you should've drank more milk when you were little. Oh wait.. you're still little!" said Kevin, teasing the petite Ruby.

"Ha ha.. Okay.. I get it. I'm tiny." Ruby said, her expression clearly signs that it wasn't the first time she'd heard that joke.

"I'm sorry.. That was kinda too much.." Kevin reassures her that he wasn't trying to offend her.

"You try being short for once so you can see how different the world is from my perspective. Too bad you'll never be able to." said Ruby.

"Well I had always been tall so I guess we do really see things differently.." Kevin said as he easily lifted up his hand and grabbed the folder, which was just a bit higher than his head.

"Thank you mister tall guy!" Ruby thanked her newfound helper as he handed her the folder. Kevin was glad that at least there's someone in the office that he can banter casually with.

"So what's in that anyway? How did it ended up there?" Kevin asked curiously.

"It's just a bunch of files that I have to give to Maria for her signature. I've never want to look at the files anyway. She always puts it back on the high shelf after she signed it." Maria was their boss at the company. Being a tall woman it actually made sense for her to put it on the high shelf.

"Hmm.. So how do you normally get it down?" Kevin asked.

"Sometimes I would try my luck making a jump for it, even though the success rate is well, small. But usually I just grab my chair and stand on it or ask someone tall enough to help me." replied Ruby explaining her daily struggle.

"Well in that case, feel free to ask me if you need any help for concerning shelves!" He gave her half a smile as he walked towards his office.