- Text Size +
Wow! Almost 10K views so far! Hope you’re all enjoying the story!

Annie stood on her toes, reaching the tape measure all the way up to the top of Jen’s head.

Jen held a breath, fingers clutching each other, awaiting the results.

“Six feet four inches.” Annie gaped at the tape. “Almost a foot and a half taller in two days.” She looked up at her increasingly enlarged friend. “This is amazing.”

Amazing was not the adjective Jen would have chose. Amazingly scary, perhaps.

Annie held her hand up. “Let’s compare. Your’s used to be way tiny next to mine, I bet it’s the total opposite now!”

Jen stuffed her hands into the top of her already overstuffed yoga pants. A little tingle inside her wanted to see how much bigger she was than Annie, but embarrassment over her sudden growth overwhelm it. “You aren’t taking this very seriously.”

Annie shrugged. “Let’s go to the doctor then. Urgent care’s probably open, or we can go to the emergency room. Growing into a giant seems like a pretty big emergency.” She winked. “Get it?”

“I’m not growing into a giant!” Jen blurted out loud enough that Annie flinched. She was immediately stricken with regret. Jen shrank down against the wall so she was eye to eye with Annie. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be.” Annie put her arms around Jen’s neck and hugged her. “I know you’re scared.”

“I don’t want to go to the hospital,” Jen said. “I mean, I kinda do, but we can’t afford a huge medical bill and...” she drifted off for a second. There was a big dollop of hypochondria on top of all Jen’s other anxieties. “what if they find something strange? What if they want to do all theses tests and want to see what’s inside that made me grow like this and...”

“Then we won’t go,” Annie said into Jen’s ear. “We’ll get through this, you and me.”

It was always just the two of them, Annie always there for Jen - comforting for her anxieties and protecting her when she was bullied. Jen felt a little more guilty every time, like she owed Annie something, like her friendship wasn’t repayment enough. Even now, even though Jen was bigger, Annie was still the one protecting her and not the other way around. It made Jen feel smaller than ever.

“Okay.” Jen said softly.

“We need to get you new clothes, though.” Annie’s socked foot nudged Jen’s bare one. “You can’t go to work without any shoes.”

“I can’t go back to work like this!” Jen slid down the wall and curled her knees up to chest. “How will I explain this to everyone?”

“You don’t have to explain anything.” Annie pointed a finger up at Jen. “You just have to confront that brat and make her fess up to the missing clothes. She probably treats everyone else there like shit too. Your coworkers will love you for finally putting her in her place.”

“Just because I’m taller doesn’t mean I can force her to confess,” Jen said. Getting taller didn’t miraculously cure her fear of confrontation either. Her size didn’t give her any real advantage over Monica. It’s not like they were going to brawl in the middle and even if they did, Jen didn’t know how to fight, Monica would probably kick her ass anyway. Monica still wielded the power of privilege over Jen, and no growth spurt would take that from her. “Her mom is still the manager and she can get me fired like nothing.”

“You said your boss is a reasonable woman, right? You have a legitimate concern about the missing clothes.”

“Yeah, but-“ Jen started.

“But nothing,” Annie cut her off. “I gave you the comfy love, now it’s time for the tough love. I don’t care if you’re four feet tall or forty, it’s time to stand up for yourself.”

“Everyone’s going to notice my height and it’ll be a big scene and I’m sure Monica is just going to blow me off again and...” Jen sighed. “Maybe I can find a new job working from home. Not having to leave the house again would really be nice.”

“Nope.” Annie shook her head. “I’m not letting you become a recluse. You’re getting new clothes, you’re going to work and you’re telling that brat what’s what.”

“Can you just get them for me,” Jen said sheepishly. “I’ll wear whatever.”

Annie rolled her eyes. “Alright.” She pulled the tape measure out a little and let it snap back. “But I’ll need to take some measurements first.”

Jen squirmed. “Just get long dresses or something, I’m sure they’ll fit fine.”

“Your feet.” Annie pointed to them.

“What?”

“Your feet,” Annie repeated. “I have to measure them at least.”

Jen folded her arms over her chest. She reluctantly pushed her leg out to Annie, sole presented for her inspection.

Annie extended the tape measure, longer and longer, for what seemed like an eternity to Jen, until it reached the tip of her big toe. Annie’s eyes and grin widened. “Twelve and a half inches.”

Jen’s feet had basically doubled in size since the growth spurts started.

“Probably have to get sandals.” Annie gave the arch of Jen’s sole a gentle tickle with the tips of her fingers. “I don’t think they make flats this big.”

Jen jerked her foot back, heat pounding and cheeks ablaze. “Sorry. They’re sensitive.”

“All of you is sensitive.” Annie scooted up against the wall beside Jen. “Regardless of how much more of you there is.” She rested her head on Jen’s shoulder. “And that’s why I love you.”

***

Jen crawled into bed later that night. The frame groaned in protest of her increased weight. Laying flat on her back, her bare feet pushed out past the edge of the bed a good few inches. She rolled to her side and curled up to fit her whole body under the sheets.

One more growth spurt and she’s be sleeping on the floor. And the spurt after that? And the next one? Would she be too big to fit in her bedroom anymore? Too big to fit in the house? The little weedy yard they shared with the other tenants of their complex wouldn’t be big enough after long. Her landlord would be so pissed.

A small part of Jen’s anxiety was held at bay by the fact she was still within the realm of normal human height. 6’4” was pushing the limit for a woman. What was next? Eight feet? Then twelve? What if her rate of growth accelerated? What if each spurt compounded on the last?

What if Jen did actually grow into giant?

“Don’t even think it,” she whispered into the dark. “You’re not growing into a giant. This is going to stop soon.” She said to assure herself, while at the same moment opening her phone to search the web for more information about adult growth spurts and the associated genetic disorders.

Soft light illuminated her face in the dark as she scrolled. The phone was so small in her enlarged hand, her thumb was almost as long as the whole screen.

After going through all the same results she had already seen, Jen tried something else. She typed in the words “Giant Woman”. The first result was the poster from an old movie - a woman in a makeshift bikini astride a highway. She was huge and powerful, imposing her enormity on the tiny city below. A small car rested in her hand. It was about the same size as the phone in Jen’s.

Jen pushed the phone off and shoved it under her pillow. “You’re not growing into a giant,” she repeated, curling herself up tighter under the sheets.