- Text Size +

Chapter Six: An Unexpected Arrival

While the cadets observed the Lillitopians who were constructing the two statues, Vertragus got Penn's attention. "We need to get back to work on the artificial wormhole generator."

"What should we work on now?" Penn asked.

"I know of a robotic device that can process the ore faster than we could manually, and a second robotic device can begin constructing the wormhole generator."

"I'll take you to the replicator so you can access those files," said Penn, and he picked up Vertragus and carried him inside the shuttle cruiser.

Once they were at the replicator console, Vertragus summoned the files by voice command, and Penn had the replicator make them.

"It would be better if these devices responded to telepathy," said Vertragus.

"Why?" Penn asked.

"It's just a more efficient way of working, once the copper, platinum and gold ore is processed, the robotic device can build the wormhole generator if one of you had a telepathy helmet on."

"Replicate it, and I'll find someone to put it on," said Penn. Vertragus did as he was told, and moments later, the helmet materialized. Penn took the helmet and one of the robots outside, and left Vertragus inside the shuttle cruiser.

"Mace, I've got a job for you!" Penn said, as he held up the helmet. "Vertragus wants someone to use telepathy to control the robots, do you want to try it out? This will just be a test run."

Mace put the telepathy helmet on, and Penn set the robot down.

"Try to control it!" said Penn.

Mace successfully maneuvered the robot, and it began processing the ore, taking in copper ore one one side, and depositing copper bricks on the opposite side. Steam came out of vents on the sides.

"It works!" said Penn.

"Penn!" said Vertragus from inside the shuttle cruiser. Penn returned inside to see what Vertragus wanted.

"The telepathy device did a mind scan of Mace's brain, and it shows what he did leading up to your journey here!" Vertragus showed Penn a video of Mace using the flash drive on the control console of the shuttle cruiser, while Sapphire watched.

"Does it have audio?" Penn asked.

Vertragus manipulated the controls so the sounds could be heard. Penn watched the video, and saw the conversation between Mace and Sapphire about sabotaging the mission. Penn slammed his fist down on the console and went outside.

"You sabotaged the mission!" Penn shouted. "I just saw a mind scan showing you talking to Sapphire about sabotaging the shuttle cruiser before we took off!"

Penn threw a punch at Mace, then Mace fought back. The two of them dragged each other to the ground, kicking and fighting each other. Just then, a stranger showed up.

"You two can stop fighting," the girl said. She was the same age as the cadets, and she had long blonde hair in twin braids, and blue eyes. She was dressed in a European style dress from the early 20th century, maybe Germanic or Dutch.

Penn and Mace stopped fighting, and stood up. Penn asked her, "Who are you?"

"I'm Gretchen," the girl said, "you sent me here... or should I say, in the near future, you will bring me here to this planet."

"Welcome to Lillitopia, Gretchen!" said Penn. "What part of earth did you come from?"

"I am from Holland, in 1944." Gretchen replied. "I've been on this planet for just under a year."

Vertragus exited the shuttle cruiser by climbing down from the console and running out into the midst of the colossal kids. Felicity picked him up and held him aloft.

"Were you told why you were brought here?" Penn asked.

"I was supposed to help you build the wormhole generator," said Gretchen, "I've been staying closer to the coastal region, but I knew around this time you would be arriving. When my purpose here is fulfilled, I need you to return me to the time and place I came from."

"But how and why would we select someone from 1944?" Penn asked. "Vertragus, can you come up with a theory?"

"The wormhole generator can lock onto any time and place in the known universe, or any other known universe. Gretchen is from a reality that the Lillitopians will make contact with once you leave to return to the academy. She must be related to someone we will make contact with after you leave."

"But how could you know all of that?" Penn asked.

"It is just a theory," said Vertragus, "if you check the shuttle cruiser's mainframe computer files, maybe you could find out more about her."

"Come with us, Gretchen," said Penn, as he entered the shuttle cruiser followed by Felicity, who was carrying Vertragus. They went straight to the cockpit, and sat down at the controls.

"What's your full name and birth date?" Penn asked Gretchen.

"Gretchen De Vries, July 13th, 1931. I was born in Amsterdam."

"Computer," said Penn, "can you cross reference that name and date and place of birth, and find out what significance she has to the Lillitopians?"

In mere seconds, the computer had an answer. A photo of a blonde female college student showed up on the screen.

"Gretchen Sizemore?" Felicity asked.

"It says here, that the Gretchen we know is the great-grandmother of the young woman on our computer monitor. Somehow, Lillitopians are going to establish contact with her when they make their way to Earth."

"If it hasn't happened yet, how does the computer already know?" Felicity asked.

"I don't know!" Penn answered.

To Be Continued!