- Text Size +

He opened his eyes, only to find that it made little difference; it was too dark to make anything out. Just a moment ago, he’d been lying down on his bed. He was still lying down, but he was pretty sure he wasn’t in his room anymore.

The first thing he noticed was the smell. Bizarrely, the air seemed to have a rubbery scent, as well as something else he couldn’t quite place. It probably wouldn’t have been that unpleasant, but the strength of it was just enough to make it so. The other thing that become quickly apparent was how humid the air was; even though it was only slightly warmer than the room he’d just been in, he could feel moisture on his face.

Now satisfied that he really didn’t know where he was, he sat himself up, in the hopes that his situation might be miraculously explained. No such luck, but he did note how strange the ground was. It was warmer than he’d been expecting it to be, and was, again, slightly damp. He brushed it with his hand, finding it oddly flat, more like a floor. Now that he thought about it, he clearly wasn’t outside - he couldn’t see any kind of sky, not even a few measly stars.

It didn’t make any sense. How did he get here? And where exactly was here? He was dimly aware of the ground shaking slightly from time to time, but he was more distracted by his immediate situation.

His eyes had finally begun to adapt to the darkness, and he found himself able to pick out a few more details about his surroundings. As suspected, he was enclosed by a set of walls, apparently in a very large room. However, on closer inspection, there was some slight… oddities. The walls actually appeared to be a single continuous structure, many times his height, curving inwards towards its top to varying degrees along its length, on one side extending out enough to form a kind of roof. Which led to other odd thing – as far as he could tell, the majority of the room was open to the outside, despite the fact that he couldn’t see anything out there.

 

Standing up, he took a better look at the area directly around him. The ground was quite flat as he had initially suspected, and he could now see that it had a very strange visible texture. It looked like some kind of thick polystyrene, as if he could squash it between his hands. But having felt it earlier, he knew it wasn’t - it’d felt much harder and heavier than that.

As the quakes he’d pushed to the back of his mind became stronger, they became a lot more difficult to ignore. He soon snapped out of the trance he’d fallen into, and tried to think about this all rationally. Each quake was accompanied by a sound; the sound of something hitting the ground? That seemed pretty logical, but it didn’t exactly explain much. What would that something be?

As it turned out, he didn’t have to wait long to find out.

The sound – the unmistakable sound – of a door creaking open rang out through the air, although it was far louder than he was used to. Light quickly began to flood his view, and looking up, he saw the impossible.

The sky itself was opening up. Opening up into a view that he could never had expected.

His brain could barely comprehend it, but a woman was standing over him – except she was far, far too large to be a woman. The sky-door opened further to reveal that the colossal titan was standing in an equally massive room, with objects he could recognise if they weren’t so huge. He simply stood there, jaw hanging wide open, as she seemed to be pondering her next move.

 


 

Today had been ridiculous. Between customers harassing her all day, and her boss pressing her about this new position she wanted her to take, she hadn’t had the chance to rest for even a minute. It was nearly Christmas and all, but she hadn’t expected it to be quite this hectic.

She was relieved to finally be home, immediately kicking off her shoes into her wardrobe, and tossing her bag onto the nearest chair. This place probably needed cleaning, but that could wait until tomorrow. Just one evening to relax was what she needed right now. She fully intended to do nothing else productive for a while.

It only took a few more minutes before she’d stripped off her work clothes, leaving them in a messy pile at the foot of her bed. She was soon slumped down on the sofa, curled up into her over-sized t-shirt. The TV flickered into life as she pointed the remote at it.

She spent a while browsing the channels, pausing a moment on each, before she found something suitably trashy. Perfect. Now she just needed one more thing…

 

A blast of chilled air ran over momentarily when she opened the freezer, causing her shiver. She gingerly pulled out the top drawer, eyes bright with expectation. But instead, her face turned to confusion as she looked into it. A quick rummage into it confirmed what she was dreading, and this feeling of disappointment only grew as she checked all the lower drawers. Despite what she’d believed, there was not a single tub of ice cream in the house.

This just wouldn’t do. As much as she hated it, it looked like she was going to make one last trip outside before she could properly settle down. She sighed, before making the long trip back upstairs. Even if she had to run around the shop, she was going to put the least amount of effort in possible – she pulled on the first pair of leggings she found, not bothering to change the slightly stained t-shirt.

With that, she opened up her wardrobe, looking for something easy to slip on her feet. It only took a moment to decide on the same battered pair of flats she’d been wearing earlier.

 


 

He had no idea how to react to any of this – a combination of fear and disbelief kept him rooted to the spot. Even the movement of a colossal hand coming straight towards him did little to bring him back to reality.

The ground beneath him gave way, causing him fall flat onto his face, smacking some sense back into him. The motion lasted only a couple of seconds, but it was enough to emphasize the danger he found himself in. The experience left him with a pretty horrible – and disturbingly salty – taste in his mouth, but that wasn’t his immediate concern right now.

He stood up yet again, trying to work out what exactly had just happened. Looking up, he found the woman was now somehow even taller, and was reaching over him, picking up something else. He followed her arm down with his eyes, and what he saw made his heart sink.

She was holding a shoe.

It only took a second for him to revaluate the ‘room’ he was in, but it was enough to confirm his fear. The shape of it, the material of the walls, the company name printed in huge, almost unreadable, letters on the floor. Even the five sweat-stained dips in the ground.

He was standing in a shoe.

He was barely getting over this revelation, when the next problem made itself known. Everything shook as the woman dropped the other shoe seemingly far off in the distance. Her attention was once again drawn in his direction, her leg shifting as something began to make its way over the horizon.

Toes. He was looking at toes.

Of course, they were far, far larger than toes had only right to be. Giant structures of skin and muscle, worming their way towards him. Each was easily the size of a building – but, of course, buildings couldn’t flex like this. The silver nail polish on each nail glistened as they started to blot out the newfound light, dragging the attached foot in as they felt their way inside.

His immediate reaction of awe was replaced with terror as they made their way towards him. Toes or not, they were clearly much, much heavier than him – he had a pretty good idea of what would happen if he ended up underneath them. Of course, there was only one way to go.

He turned around and ran, faster than ever before in his life. He didn’t dare look behind him, for fear of slowing down, but the fading light and the sound of skin rubbing against fabric told him everything he needed to know. Both his legs and his lungs were burning, but adrenaline along was enough to keep him running. If could just make it to the very end of the shoe, he might have a chance of surviving this, right?

They were getting closer. He became more and more desperate, his lungs ready to explode, and his legs pushing harder than he knew they could.

As it turned out, they couldn't.

 

He felt a shooting pain in the back of his left leg, having finally hit his limit. Unprepared, he fell into an awkward tumble, eventually coming to land on his back. It was dark, but there was barely enough light to see the form of the toes sliding into place over top of him, and he could feel an overbearing warmth emanating from them. This was it.