- Text Size +
Kim and I were out in senior court one afternoon. The weather was nice and there wasn't anyone else out there, it really was nice. We were sitting on a picnic table and I had just finished my sub-average food. It's then I asked Kim...

"Why doesn't anyone sit on that bench...? Over there?"

"Oh, you remember that bench" Kim said "It's the 'magic' bench..."

"Magic??" I said, getting up, Kim looks worried as I walk over to the bench.

"Wait, what are you doing??" she asks.

"I'm sitting down on the bench..." I began, but Kim began to protest.

"You cant!" she shrieked "It might cast a spell on you... something bad could happen to you..."

"Oh cmon," I scoffed "There's nothing magic about this hunk of rock...and besides, you always tell me to be positive, if it is magic, maybe something GOOD will happen to me... like maybe I'll..."

I kept talking as I sat on the bench except for some reason my voice seemed to be getting softer... oh no, it was worse than that, I was getting smaller!

"Bobby!!!" Kim said, and ran to the bench to get me off but she was too late, by the time she's near the bench, she has to get down on her knees to see me. I couldn't believe what had happened. The bench had shrunk me! "I TOLD you not to sit there...!!"

I started to talk but my words could barely be heard. Kim just stared back with confusion. She mustn't have been able to hear me. I was stunned as I stood up now. "How do I get big again??" I asked. Kim barely heard me this time.

"I...I dont know..." Kim said "Maybe if you wish for it to happen, the bench will make it work..."

I thought hard but nothing happened, I even tried jumping up and down on the damn thing.

"Maybe it just doesnt like you" Kim said.

"This isn't funny..." I said.

"I tried to warn you..." Kim sighed.

"Well I don't want to stay SMALL!!" I cried out.

"Okay, relax...relax...." Kim said, and sat down next to me. I was startled as she set her hand down next to me. Her hand was twice the size of my body! "We just need to think of something..."

"But what?" I asked.

"I don't know..." she said. Just then the bell rang. "C'mon, Ill take you with me..."

"Wait..." I started but she grabbed me and put me in her hand, then shoved me into her pocket. I felt helpless as I rode in her pants, holding onto the edge of the pockets. Is this how I'd have to live the rest of my life?

Kim covers for me in class, says I got sick, I mean who would believe I got shrunk by a magic bench? Kim sits down now and I get all scrunched up in her pocket. "Help me..." I squeaked, but soon was able to help myself out and landed on the seat.

"Hey, what are you doing out there??" Kim asked and put me back in her pocket "It's dangerous out there for ya..."

I just grumbled as she put me back in her pocket. What the hell was I going to do? Kim's next class is her study hall. She takes me out and puts me down beside her now. "So what are we going to do?" I ask her.

"I don't know..." Kim said "The bench got you into this, it'll have to get you out... there has to be a way..."

Just then, one of Kim's friends comes over. Kim stuffs me quickly back into her pants pocket. Damn, I was getting tired of being treated like stuff... I was still a person, just really small...

That night, it got even worse... Kim brought little ol me back to her house and we had no idea what we were going to do. She puts me down on her dresser and lays on her bed.

Unfortunately, we weren't alone... Kim was baby sitting this little kid, Jose. He runs into the room and starts messing with everything. Kim goes off to try to get him to sit down and watch Finding Nemo, when he finds me on the dresser. I yelp as he grabs me off the dresser.

"Ooh, a doll!" he says.

"No, Im not a doll!!" I screamed.

"Woah, and it talks...!" he exclaimed. He was excited, whereas I was full of fear.

"Im not a doll!!!" I screamed again. I was about as close as you could be to a doll without being one, but I sure as hell was not a kid's toy.

"Uh...give me my "Doll" back..." Kim said, and gently takes me away from him "Here, go off and color with these crayons..." Kim sets me gently down on her dresser "You alright?"

"I guess..." I sighed, "I shouldve never sat down on that bench..."

"Don't worry...Im sure there's a way to fix this..." Kim says. "There's always a way to fix things..."

"I hope you're right,..." I sighed.

The next morning, Kim and I were going into school, when I started to groan miserably.

"What??" Kim asked.

"I'm just afraid...Im afraid Im stuck this way forever..." I said.

"Well... that could be..." Kim said, biting her lip. "Well if that's so... maybe it's time we show some of your friends whats happened, hey look there's Krista...!"

"Oh no, not Krista..." I said, "Please don't show her... Ive been..."

"Hey Kim" Krista said

"Bobby's been shrunk!" Kim said, and she eagerly pulled me out of her pocket. I gasped and looked up at Krista, she wasn't so short to me anymore.

"Woah! He's like a little doll!" she exclaims.

"Im NOT a doll!!" I screamed.

"Well y'know what I mean..." Krista said "So NOW whose short?"

I just grumble and cross my arms, this was humiliating.

At lunch, Kim takes me back to the bench and she has a plan.

"You have to be kidding me!!" I shouted, as she places me down on a table.

"It could work..." she said "We've obviously upset the bench gods, and now we need to make a sacrfiice to them... so they'll make you grow back to normal..."

I dared not point out the illogical flaws in this plan, as I was not one to talk at 4 inches high. Instead I just sat there on the picnic table and watched as Kim took out a bunch of random stuff from her purse.

"Oh bench gods" Kim says, holding up her iPod nano "I give to you this iPod"

"Kim, not your iPod..." I sighed.

"Hey, if it works, it works..." Kim says and leaves the iPod on the ground but nothing happens. The clouds do rumble a bit though. Kim then reaches into her purse and takes out some writing untensils.

"I dont know if the gods need mechanical pencils..." I sighed.

Just then, the skies rumbled yet again and the area grew darker. I looked around fearfully, surely something was about to come upon us.

"Take me instead!!" Kim said.

"Noo!!" i shouted, running forward. Suddenly there was a red thunderclap and when it was over, I was standing on top of the bench normal size, but I couldn't find Kim. Just then, I heard her voice and looked down. The "bench gods" had shrunk her and put me back to normal. "Oh no..."

"Don't worry" Kim said, "Go into my purse and take out the shrinking anitdote..."

I gave Kim the antidote and she grew back.

"See" kim said "I knew the gods couldn't resist shrinking me instead and they didnt know I had this antidote..."

"Wait..." I started "If you had the antidote the whole time... never mind..."

THE END