- Text Size +

"I'm glad you came in Susan" her psychiatrist said. "Wasn't my idea Ruth. It was Keith's" Susan said laying down on the sofa in the office. She kicked off her heels, cracked her nylons covered toes and sighed. "But I thought"

 

"It was in his going away letter...among other things" she said. "He said to come to me?" Ruth asked. "To make sure I don't slit my wrists or something" she replied. "Do you?" Ruth asked the borrower on her sofa. "Of course not. I'm a mom. I can't leave my babies" Susan said patting her tummy. "How did you handle the news when you heard?" Ruth asked. "I was in work mode. Assess the situation, evaluate the enemy combatants, neutralize" she replied. Ruth eyed Susan for a moment before noticing something odd. "Is that calm detachment how you beat him?" Ruth asked. "A factor of things worked our way. His arrogance, their inexperience, Elena and Pisces working together. The sacrifices we made" Susan replied. "Speaking of sacrifices. Whose funeral are you dressed for?" Ruth asked. "Hikari's. Just got back. Closed state funeral held in the imperial palace. Even got to meet the Emperor" Susan shrugged. "What about Keith's?" she asked. "You already know the memorial is tomorrow" Susan said back curtly. Ruth jotted something down. "The private one dear" Ruth said. "A lot of factors at play. Lawan's requests as she was his wife. Aspen, not to mention Hope is still asleep" she replied. "I'm surprised to see Hope still alive" Ruth said. 

 

"Why?" Susan asked. "Well she did kill millions of people and led to her father's death. Some may see her death a kind of justice" Ruth said. "We spared her because Keith wouldn't want her death" Susan said coldly. "There's hostility in your response. I take it you're not sure that she should live?" Ruth asked. "We all are worried what's going to happen when she wakes. She was like God of the Old Testament when she killed my opposite. The world isn't prepared for such power, let alone a teenage girl" Susan replied. "That's the analytical side. What do you feel?" Ruth asked. "She is responsible for the death of someone irreplaceable in my life. My child will grow up never knowing their father. I feel...I feel like I should go into her room, tear her apart limb by limb and eat her. Crush her under my fucking foot until a greasy smear remains. I feel she should beg me to kill her as I slowly inflict agonies that would make Jesus weep!" Susan shouted. Ruth noticed it again and wrote on her pad. "That's...understandable" Ruth said. "Torture? How fucking so?" Susan snapped. 

 

"Tickle us do we not laugh? Prick us do we not bleed? Wrong us shall we not revenge? Not just a quote from Shakespeare. It's natural to lash out to what hurts us, takes from us, pains us. It doesn't make you a bad person. Don't feel sorry for showing mercy" she said. "I'm not sorry" Susan said. "Then why are you shrinking yourself?" Ruth asked walking over to her. Susan had not noticed until Ruth sat next to her. She was like 7 inches tall to her now.... scale wise anyway. "Once before, you liked being human sized around us as a way to feel safe and secure. Tell me Susan. Do you shrink around selective people like right now? I mean smaller than our usual size?" Ruth asked. "...if I trust them" Susan replied. "Why? Why would you shrink?" Ruth asked. "I feel...safer if I'm in their hands" she said. "Is it only that?" Ruth asked. Susan shrank even more. "What you're feeling is actually common for some of us. Borrowers that lived as pets and had very kind masters often long for being held in giant hands. To be petted, doted on, and more" Ruth said picking up the now four-inch-tall Susan. Ruth gently used her finger to stroke Susan's left cheek. As she did, she began to cry softly. "I'm so tired of losing loved ones. So very tired" she wept. 

 

"There's something I want you do to. Next time when you go home, shrink yourself and spend quality time in a loved one's hand. It helps being naked. Memorize their scent. The feel of their skin. The gentle touch on your bare feet and sensitive spots" Ruth said. "I'm not forgetting how it felt to be held by him!" Susan yelled at the psychiatric giantess. "Nobody is saying that. What I am saying is you need to slowly shift those feelings to those closest around you. Being blunt, Keith will never hold you like this again. But as a borrower, a woman, intimacy is as important as food and water. You will have to find someone that can satisfy your needs" Ruth said. Susan hopped onto the sofa and grew to borrower size. "Don't close yourself off again like last time. Don't throw that progress away" she asked. "And when the next person dies?" Susan asked. "You can't think that way Susan" Ruth said. "Yes, I can. Keith made me Director taking his place in his will. So believe me, it's coming one way or another. Have a nice morning Ruth" Susan said before leaving.  

 

Susan grew to human size as she walked home. Her nylon feet making soft steps on the street but dragging every few steps. She was exhausted. Due to the time difference in Tokyo, she had to leave at 3 am local time to attend. When she got back it was barely 8 am. She had no sleep in over 30 hours. The city was quieter than usual. Families comforted those that lost loved ones. With their losses passing 350, that left a lot of families with dead sons, daughters, husbands and wives. Off in the distance, a grim reminder as a few human sized borrowers dug small graves to bury empty boxes. The unused field north of the city had been converted into a borrower version of Arlington Cemetery. To say morale was low was an understatement. Their forces had been decimated and by Susan's own reckoning, it would be a better part of two years to even make up the numbers, another five to close the experience gap. Three days had passed since the battle and the grief and abject loss was mounting by the hour. The mental hospitals were full of borrowers with breakdowns and suicidal thoughts. The lucky ones as someone cared to admit them. Those that only had someone else...some chose to follow them into death. Being Director now, Susan was informed of instances of dead borrowers found in their homes or apartments. Not a whole lot but just reading one or two reports was crushing enough for Susan.

 

By the end of the second day, Susan issued her first order as Director. A day of mourning for those lost. No work was allowed. Neighbors would check on one another. A large picture of Keith was

was placed in the center of town with a candle. Susan watched people in the middle of the night carry giant flower petals to place before it. At the foot of his picture were placed smaller ones of those lost. While the sight hurt Susan to the core, there was something that gave her solace. Pictures of lost Mogwai had been placed there. They had fought and died together as equals, as friends. It gave her hope of what could be accomplished between the two races in the future. Susan sighed as she stood in front of her home. So tired but so much to do. As Ruth had asked, Hope was still alive but the issue of how she would be when she woke lingered. As far as she knew, not even her mother Aspen had come to see her. Susan shrank to her normal height and entered her home. "Welcome home honey" her father said as he sipped coffee. She nodded. "How was the funeral?" he asked. "Solemn, quiet. They were extremely grateful we were able to retrieve her body for cremation" she replied. "I can only imagine what the funeral for a Koonago princess would be like" he said. "Shinto. Hikari was a believer of Shinto. Dancing and chants mostly by a small priestess the size of a human thumb. It was...different" she muttered.

 

"How was her family? She did have family right?" he asked. "Her mother...solemnly paid her respects as she held her grandson. There was man, a human there that excused himself now and then. I could hear him sobbing his heart out saying her name. I think he was more than a friend to her" she replied. "Hi mom" Ruby said coming downstairs in her pajamas. She was admiring her finger. "Take that off now!" Susan yelled at her seeing the Ring of Shishak on her index to finger. Frightened, Ruby did, and Susan snatched it from her. "Where did you get this?!" Susan yelled. "From your bedroom. I thought it looked pretty" Ruby said. "Never ever touch unfamiliar things in this house. Jesus..." Susan sighed. "It's just a ring Susan" Tim said. "It's not just a ring. It's an artifact capable of manipulating time at the expense of the user's life force. But it appears to be dead..." Susan said looking at the dull lifeless stone in it. "Picked the damn thing up from the pile of Keith's ashes. Explains why he couldn't use it against her" she muttered. "If it's dead then I can have it?" Ruby asked. "Not a chance. God knows what can happen with it now. I ain't comin' home to find ya a damn shriveled mummy. Assuming you don't end up in some fucking backwater time period" she said slipping into her southern drawl. Susan took the coffee from her father and sipped it. 

 

"You seem very on edge" he said. "I need sleep, my toes sucked, to be held. The latter two at the advice of my shrink" she replied. Ruby took the cup from her mother and had her sit on the sofa. Dipping her finger into the warm liquid, she drew an arcane on her mother's cheek. Susan shrank down. "Shhh" Ruby said holding her in her hands. Carefully, she peeled off her nylons. Susan closed her eyes as her giantess daughter sucked on her tiny feet. Ruby's scent felt good to her. The warmth of her skin. The sound of blood rushing through her capillaries. Susan barely moved as she was stripped naked. A giant finger rubbed her back. The bumps of her spine underneath the fingertip. A fingertip that rubbed her bare ass. A different scent, her father as she was petted by him. Tim looked at his granddaughter worried. "She's asleep" Ruby said.  Tim motioned for her to take her to her bedroom. Ruby placed Susan in her bed and rubbed off the arcane cancelling the spell and growing her to fit her bed. She closed the door behind her. 

 

Claire walked through the door at her home. "Hiya buddy" she said picking her son Luke up and smooching him till he giggled. "Has she left my room?" she asked her mother who was drying off plates. "No" Rebecca replied. Claire sat down and shuffled off her high heels. She sighed as her feet felt better being out of them. She sucked her teeth as her dainty toes were developing bunions wearing them. More often than not she had to for her modeling jobs. "Mom you got any foot cream?" she asked. "Pantry cabinet. What are you going to say to her?" her mother asked. "Don't know. We both read his final letter together and since then she just lays in bed" she said. "Well passionate sex isn't going to cheer her up like it can for us. A more human approach" Rebecca shrugged. Claire remembered when Aspen lost her grandmother. She was depressed for weeks and nothing she did seemed to cheer her up. Dancing naked, being goofy, watching movies. Eventually she did get better, but it took time. Time they may not have this time. "Any word on Hope?" Rebecca asked. "Still asleep. I can sense the ebb and flow of magic in her. No spikes but none of us expected the level of output the other day" she replied. "That terrible?" her mother asked sitting next to her and taking her right foot in her hand. "I wouldn't call it terrible. More like awestruck like staring at the sun. As powerful as me and Susan are, we were as fleas compared to Hope. She left a footprint as big as this damn colony mom" she replied.

 

"Then it would be good if she awoke to find her mother beside her" Rebecca said. "I know but it's not that easy mom. Hope killed millions. Aspen can only think about that when her daughter's name comes up" she said. Rebecca rubbed the sore ball of her foot for a moment. "From what I heard; Hope didn't know what she did" she said. Claire was silent. "To me, I think the state of mind is what's important. People will say ignorance isn't an excuse but is it evil when it's done by accident? Markus and Ebonheart knew full well what they were doing but Hope? They fed on her immature beliefs. Sculpted her into a tool. Turned her into a child soldier. Do you think she's in the same level as them?" Rebecca asked. "...no" Claire replied. "It's so easy to judge when looking from just your perspective. I was guilty of that for a time as I didn't trust Aspen to be around you or Ritchie" she said. "Somebody say my name?" Ritchie asked yawning as he walked into the living room. "I was explaining how I misjudged Aspen because of my own bias" Rebecca said. Ritchie plopped down on the floor and took Claire's left foot in his hands. "True. You really didn't like her back then. When I said I wanted to mate with her you lost your shit" he chuckled. "Damn right. I saw how she looked at you now and then. Her finger dancing around your crotch. That hungry look in her eyes. I thought I'd find you drowned in her pussy or sliding down her throat one day" she said. "Didn't you have some faith as she was in a relationship with Claire? They were hot and heavy even then and Claire came home okay" he asked. Claire looked at her mother.

 

"My point kids is that I was wrong, very wrong. I failed to see things from Aspen's point of view" she said. Claire handed Luke off to her mother before standing up. She ruffled Ritchie's hair and smiled before going to her room. Inside was Aspen sleeping as light poured through the window. She woke up from the sound of the creaking floor Claire stepped on. She gave her a glance and then walked out. Claire heard the sound of the toilet flushing and then Aspen returning. "Going back to bed?" Aspen asked. She didn't answer. "You look like an angel in this light" Claire said sitting next to her. "Pretty hair. Wish I had it" she said running her fingers through Aspen's hair. "No, you don't" Aspen muttered. "Yes, I did because it's yours" Claire said kissing her cheek. "When do you plan to see her?" Claire asked quietly. Aspen shrugged. "She needs you" she said. "Would you be so quick if it was Luke?" Aspen asked coldly. "Yes, because after everything he would still be my child. Remember how she moved in your womb? How she looked at you when she came out? Can you really toss that aside?" Claire asked. Aspen softly sobbed into her pillow. Claire took off her clothes and climbed into bed with her. She had Aspen sit in front.

 

"We know it's hard. Me, Ritchie, Rebecca, all of us. But remember what he wrote. Keith said when she comes to terms with what she did it will break her soul. That you will have to be there to help pick up the pieces. Because if you don't...you really will lose her" Claire said hugging her. Aspen smelled of old sweat. She hadn't showed in three days. "Don't I stink?" Aspen muttered. "Like old socks but don't change the subject. Aspen, are you going to let Markus take your little girl from you or you just going to sit here and rot?" she asked. Claire felt her muscles tense as she held her. "No" she replied coldly. "Then shower up" she said. Aspen left her and returned 15 minutes later considerably better smelling. Claire had her sit down. Claire hummed a song as she brushed her wife's hair. "I don't even know what to say to her" Aspen said. "You'll think of something" Claire said. "You have way too much faith in me" Aspen told her. "I have a good track record when it comes to putting my faith in you. You haven't eaten me. Crushed me, drowned me or something else like humans tended to do. Kept your word on helping us get rights. You even married me. Hell, I only had to use the safe word once" Claire chuckled. "Strawberry shortcake" Aspen muttered blushing. Claire turned her head and kissed her. Her tongue licking hers and pulled back to give her air.

 

"I Should get dressed and see her" Aspen said. Claire nodded and took out some clothes. Aspen got dressed in a simple top, pants, socks and shoes. "Want me to go with you?" Claire asked. Aspen shook her head. "Call me if you need me" Claire told her. Aspen left the house. Once safely out, Claire canceled her shrinking spell growing Aspen back to human size. She watched her beloved giantess walk away from her home worried what may come but she did have faith things would be okay. She always bet on Aspen and nothing, not even a near miss of Armageddon could change that. 

 

Aspen entered the sunroom and then the kitchen. A maid nodded at her entry. As she walked through the hallway, the servants (mostly observing the day of mourning) nodded and bowed. They didn't envy her today. Any other day they would but not today. Her daughter a killer, the father of said child dead. Borrowers wished to have her life just for the sake of bearing his child but today they could only pity her. Word spread like wildfire that Aspen was walking to where Hope was. Naturally, emotions began to run high. How would Hope react? Would Aspen and Lawan have words? Aspen made it to Keith's room and opened the door. There sat Lawan, her babies nowhere to be seen. Understandable as you didn't want your kids in the line of fire if shit went south. "Lawan I'm so sorry. I haven't even thought about what you're dealing with" Aspen said to her. "No apologies necessary. If you're here I'll take my leave. His letter for her is on the nightstand. I'll be outside if you need me" she said standing up and summoning her glaive. Aspen was no fool, she knew full well why Lawan summoned her weapon and was now quietly standing out in the hallway. 

 

Aspen sat down and looked upon her small daughter. Aspen raised an eyebrow looking at her face.  "You can open your eyes honey. I know you're not asleep" she said. Hope did open her eyes. "How did you know?" she asked. "You do the same thing when I eavesdrop. You suck your lower lip" Aspen replied. Hope sat up in bed letting the sheet fall down exposing her breasts. Aspen sighed internally as she had to be reminded that her daughter wasn't a little girl. "When did you wake up?" Aspen asked. "Yesterday. I've been sensing things ever since" she replied. "Such as?" Aspen asked. "People's feelings. They're so strong. Grief, loneliness, pain, anger. It's so much to bear..." Hope muttered. "Then tune it out" Aspen said. "Can you tune out the sound of thunder? A tornado? Your own pain and grief?" Hope asked her. "They all know what I did. I counted how many felt what. 17,818 can't believe I killed so many. 5,307 want me to suffer for a very long time. 1,477 want me executed. 808 pity me" she replied. "And where do I fall in?" Aspen asked. "I’m too scared to look into your heart" she replied.

 

Aspen got out of her chair and sat in the bed close to her. She reached for Hope who quickly scooted away. "Don't. I'm a monster. You can't touch monsters" she said quickly. Her little body shook. Aspen picked her up fast so she couldn't flee. "NO! Don't touch me! Don't touch me! I'm a monster. I made daddy die...I... don’t...deserve..." she was cut off when Aspen shoved her face into her giant lips. She held the kiss for several moments. Aspen could see panic and confusion in her little eyes. She reached over and took Keith's letter in her hands. She placed Hope on her knee as she opened it. "I don't understand" Aspen said seeing an arcane on the paper written in blood. She lowered it to Hope. "It's...I don't recognize it. It's unfinished though" Hope said seeing the circle incomplete. Hope bit her finger and traced the final part of the arcane making it activate. A beam of light struck Hope making her gasp. And as fast as it happened, it ended. The tiny teen trembled on her knee. Aspen picked her up concerned. "Are you okay? What was that?" Aspen asked. "Daddy. Every pretty memory daddy had of me. He condensed it into a spell. Teaching me how to swim, scolding me for sneaking cookies, licking my feet so I could sleep, blushing when he saw me naked. He loved me so much...and he's gone" she muttered. A swell of energy filled Hope as he floated off her hand. "I want my daddy. I WANT MY DADDY BACK!" she screamed. The entire house shook.

 

Lawan threw the door open and Aspen gestured for her not to interfere. "Please" she muttered to her. Lawan closed the door. Aspen reached out to Hope. As soon as she touched her it felt like touching a hot iron. Aspen barely held the screams. Slowly she enveloped Hope with her blistering hands. "He's gone baby. Sometimes they just leave us, and we count do anything about it" Aspen said remembering her parents and her grandmother. Hope calmed down and her power faded away. "Oh god...oh god!" Hope said seeing the burned blistering flesh of her giantess mother. "Shh.  Just use your gift to make it better" she said. "But...but..." Hope stammered. "Mommy trusts you" she said. Hope healed her burns and as she did, Aspen felt the pain in her heart healed as well. When she was done, Hope collapsed into her hand sobbing. Aspen grew concerned when she cried so hard she wasn't breathing. Aspen used her finger to lie her on her back and then rubbed her exposed little pussy. Hope gasped. "It's okay. Let mommy help you" Aspen said. Hope sniffled as her mother masturbated her with her finger. Her free hand rubbing her tiny feet. Hope shut her eyes and grinded herself on her giant finger until she came. Aspen licked her finger clean. "You're sweet" she chuckled. Hope cracked a smile. "Is that a smile? Did I see a smile?" Aspen asked. Aspen used her fingernail to tickle her little soles. Hope giggled a little. 

 

"There. Don't let anyone take that from you" Aspen said. "What?" Hope asked. "The magic of a smile. It can make all the difference" Aspen replied. "How can you still love me?" Hope asked looking at the giantess. "Because I'm your mommy. You'll understand when you're a mommy one day" Aspen said. Hope remained quiet for some time just lying in her hand. "I wanna see his memorial" she said suddenly. Aspen simply nodded. Hope got dressed as Aspen stood outside talking to Lawan. "That's a bad idea Aspen. Hope wasn't kidding when she says there are some out there that want her dead" Lawan said. "Over my dead body" Aspen hissed. Lawan sighed. "Susan?" Lawan asked over a magical link. "...wha?" Susan said waking. "Sorry to disturb you but Hope wants to visit her father's memorial" she said. "That's...not a good idea" Susan yawned. "I don't think Hope will accept a no" Lawan said. "Let me get dressed and I'll meet you at the sunroom" Susan said. 20 minutes later, a groggy Susan stood at the entrance. She sees Lawan and Aspen coming with Hope on her shoulder. "Whatever happens. Don't interfere" Hope told them. The way she said it was ominous to them. At first nobody thought much of the three giantesses walking to the center of town until word got out who was sitting on Aspen's shoulder. People began coming out of their homes to see. Hope cringed sensing some of their thoughts. 

 

By the time they reached his memorial, a crowd of hundreds had gathered behind the three giantesses.  "I don't like this guys. I can literally smell anger in them" Susan muttered. "They have every right to be" Hope muttered floating off her mother's shoulder. "Hope no!" Aspen said grabbing her. A gentle magical force forced her hands open. "Don't interfere" she said softly. Hope, with a gesture, made the giantesses move out of the way of the borrower crowd. Somebody there a very small pebble, very small to a human but not to someone three inches tall. Everyone was shocked as it smacked Hope in the back of the head. "Baby!" Aspen yelled seeing the tiny girl stagger. A force held her back. Hope kept walking. Another pebble, and then another. Hope was visibly bleeding as she staggered to the gigantic picture with candles in front. The crowd advanced to stone her. She held her arm, blood trickled down her face. Aspen crying behind her. Then Hope made it to the picture. She touched, it hugged it, and collapsed crying. The people froze seeing her blood smeared across his picture, ominously where his lips were. One lone young man dressed in THORN soldier uniform walked right up to her. Aspen was nearly frantic as his hand was on his sword. His other hand reached down for his sword...and then went into his pocket. He bent down and wiped the blood from her head. "What did you think you would accomplish?" he asked. 

 

"Forgiveness" she replied. "You think they're so ready to forgive you?" he asked looking at the crowd. "No. Not from them. From him" Hope said looking up at her father's picture. The crowd had gathered very close now. The soldier looked at the photo. "The dead can't forgive anyone" he said coldly. "The memory of them can. The part you hold onto can" she said softly. "Everyone I cared about is dead because you helped the madman who caused it" he told her. "They why show me any pity?" she asked. "Because it wouldn't bring any of them back and I am sick of seeing death" he said taking his sword out and throwing it onto the ground. The young man walked off. People watched him leave and one by one dropped their pebbles and dispersed. With them gone, Hope hales themselves. "Oh thank god!" Aspen said plucking her up. "It would've been more merciful if they killed me" Hope muttered. Hope spoke not a word until later that night. Aspen had fallen asleep on the chair next to her. A giant finger draped over her small body. Hope scooted out from underneath. She had been deep in thought about making things right and came to an unsettling idea. She knew of one person she could ask about it. She got dressed and left her room.

 

Hope walked down the hallway sensing Joseph in the kitchen. However, she stopped hearing voices from the briefing room. She stood outside and listened. "Thank you for coming. With our forces depleted, were the last people here in a position to do anything" Susan said. "Whatever we can do Susan" Claire said to her. "Agreed. After risking your safety to give me and what's left of my soldiers asylum, it's the least we can do" Xiao said. "I don't deserve credit for it. It was on a list of things Keith wanted me to do. And your government quickly shut their mouths when they heard Hope returned to us" Susan said. "Speaking of?" Claire asked. "She's asleep with her mother. After what she did today, I don't think we have much to worry about...thank god" Susan replied. "I can sense worry in your voice Susan" Elena said softly. "It's the main reason for this meeting. First the good news. Joseph confirmed that a category 5 typhoon formed over the continent of Mu due to atmospheric instability from that crazy ass rift forming. It's keeping human ships at bay. Now for the bad news. It won't stay around for much longer. It's trapped between two thermal layers and is slowly losing energy. It was a category 5 this morning. It's down to a 3 now. Within three days it will just a tropical depression. Small enough that human warships that weren't caught in the tsunami can sail through" she said.

 

"Who's jockeying to get there?" Xiao asked. "The United States, China, and Russia. Possibly North Korea" Susan replied. "Not good. Not good at all. They don't play well with others" Xiao said. "Exactly. Each one is going to try claiming it as a matter of national security. Not to mention the magical tomes left there" Susan said. "Can we magically nuke the capital? Like wipe it out?" Claire asked. "Joseph told us that there are dozens of small towns scarred across the continent with magical records. Even without spy sats, they're going to notice a shitload of mushroom clouds" Elena said. "Not to mention they're blame one another for the blasts" Xiao said. "So, what do we do?" Claire asked. "Don't know. Neither Keith nor Lily had contingency plans for something of this level. We're looking at the worst-case scenario" Susan replied softly. Hope had heard enough and kept walking. She was sure she needed to do it now. And she found Joseph quietly sitting at the kitchen table sipping tea and reading. "We need to talk" she said.

 

"I love mystery novels. Agatha Christie especially. Fascinating woman. I met her once in 1926 when she was 36 years old. Talented beyond measure and a latent magic user like her mother. Found her in the side of the road one evening shrunken in her car seat. Obviously distraught, I took her to my temporary home I was renting that winter. I could sense she was of Lemurian blood which explained the shrinking. Funny thing is, what triggered the shrinking was an innocent thought. She wondered what a bee looked like if she was small. Book cover research" Joseph said grinning. I explained what had happened and at first she took it well. We even...well we have some fun with shrinking and growing. She stayed with me for ten days but on the eleventh day, she wanted to go back to her kids. The weight of magical knowledge weighed on her. What she could do if tempted. She asked me to blank her memories of it. I did and watched her stumble back into the world. Congratulations Hope. You're one of two people on this planet that knows the truth to the 11-day disappearance of Agatha Christie*. Now what was it you wanted to talk about?" he asked closing his book.

 

(Authors note: Agatha Christie, the bestselling author in history really did disappear for 11 days in December 1926. When she returned, she had no memory of those days. To this day it remains a mystery.)

 

"I need you to tell me all you know about time travel" Hope said. "No" he said flatly. "Why the hell not?!" Hope yelled floating onto the table. "Do you think I should tell the person who crippled the human civilizations living in Southeast Asia the techniques of the most dangerous magic in exitance?" he asked. His question stung her to the core. "That's why I'm asking so I don't fuck up" she said. "You're thinking of going back and fixing all of it. Don't. It took me centuries to comprehend the effects of time travel. Paradoxes, the Butterfly Effect" he said. "Then why use it on a whim to teach me a lesson of its so dangerous?" she hissed. "Changing ten minutes of history is a drop in the bucket. Erasing that fight with that cartel did very little to the world line. What you're thinking of is...beyond even our kind. It's truly playing god" he said. "Then I'll do it without you" she hissed. She floated out and Joseph went after her. As soon as she flew out of the kitchen doorframe, something truly odd happened. Hope was blinded by a flash of light and when her eyes opened, she saw her mother sitting in a chair stitching a cloth. Even odder was that she was in a place with no up, down, left, or right. An expanse of pure white. 

 

"What...what is this?" she asked. "Everywhere and nowhere" Aspen, or the woman who looked like her, said and motioned for her to approach. The woman held out her hand an antique chair appeared before her. She motioned for Hope to sit. "Mom? What is this? Did I do this?" she asked. "You're...you're not my mom. Who the hell are you?" Hope spat as she saw a faint glow of energy in the woman's eyes. "One moment Hope. Got to get this stitch exactly right" she said. Her fear and anger made Hope lash out as she concentrated magic into her hand. A simple snap of the woman's fingers dissipated it. "No need for that" she said. Then the woman rested her hands on the cloth. "You were wrong Hope when you gave Susan that advice about power and magic" she said. "Advice?" Hope asked thinking about what she was talking about. Then Hope remembered what she had told her. That magic had no persona, that it wasn't a physical being with emotion or thought. Hope reached her hand out and the woman grasped it. "Oh my god. You're...you're..."

 

"Etherion. I'm the collective consciousness of the origin of all magics" she replied. "But how?" Hope asked. "Every user leaves a part of themselves in the grand order. Pele, Joseph, Ikaros, Nao the yaksha, even you. Combined, I am" she replied. Hope was very frightened. "Be at ease. No harm will come to you" Etherion said beginning her stitching again. "It's beautiful. I've never seen cloth so rich and vibrant before" Hope said. "It's not cloth. All of this is seen so you can comprehend. What I hold is reality. So your unconscious mind processed it literally as the fabric of reality. Right now, I'm busy repairing the damage you and the others did to it. And what a job they did indeed. Hold this thread please" she said pointing to a stray thread. When Hope did, she saw a vision. A tiny girl naked and lost in a forest. She was injured, her leg badly broken as if twisted. She was dying clearly where she did inside an dead tree stump. Then suddenly, Hope watched as the girl grew slowly. She scrambled out in pain as the stump got too tight for her to fit. Within moments she was human size again with her leg miraculously healed. "There. Better" Etherion said. "What was that?" Hope asked. "In another world, that girl was born a borrower. She was struck by what you call red lightning and was transformed. She was lucky. Most were killed instantly during the merge. I fixed her so to speak. But shall we speak about why I brought you here?" she asked. Hope silently nodded. 

 

"Joseph wasn't joking when he said time travel is fraught with danger. The smallest change can have lasting consequences" she said. "That's the point! I'm trying to undo this shit!" Hope yelled. "If done properly, it's possible" Etherion said. "Fuck yeah! Now teach me" Hope said. Etherion chuckled. "He was right not to. Hope? Do you really think stopping Markus in the past is all that will change in the present? Look at the cloth. One thread leads to another. Pull on one, another loosens as well. You would change that which was bad but there was good as well” Etherion told her. She waved her hand and moving images floated in midair all around them. Hope only recognized a few. "This...this was the day dad took me to the pool and we ran into Susan" Hope said looking at one of them. "Yes. Susan took a step back into her life. And that step led to other things. Love, adopting a child, having one of her own, saving lives. And that's just Susan. Your father has done considerable goodness too. Their actions touched others and they touched others. People lived, loved, found hope and freedom their actions. You cannot erase the evils without affecting the good as well. They are interwoven" Etherion explained. "So you're saying that if I change the past, Susan and dad won't love one another, she won't get pregnant, never adopt Ruby?" Hope asked. The woman nodded to her. 

 

Hope sat down trying to come to terms with that bit of info. A heavy thud was behind her and she glanced to see the woman a giantess now. She petted Hope with her finger. "What are you doing?" Hope asked. "Comforting you. I see the burden of deciding in your mind" she replied. "If I don't do it, we're looking at a possible WWIII. if I do, I take away the happiness of people I love most. It's sounds like a no brainier but...why can't I decide?" Hope asked. The woman picked her up. She brought her to her lips. "Because you have a heart" she whispered. Hope sniffled. "I wish I never had these powers. Why? Why give such a dangerous power to people?" Hope asked. "For you to learn. Even without an Etherion user among you, people will know magic. If there is one like you, they can set an example, an order to things. A mentor if you will" she replied. "And how has that worked? Every user has fucked it up one way or another" Hope said softly. "And yet they learn and better themselves. Look at Joseph. His fight burned the world and when he decided to set a penance, he created something extraordinary. And in the case of Nao, she saved humanity and when she went mad, let herself be killed. Consider this..." she said snapping her fingers. Hope found herself suddenly naked. 

 

"3 million years ago, your ancestors were primate creatures no smarter than pigs scurrying around for bugs and whatnot and seeking shelter in trees. That is until evolution began rolling the dice. Ample breasts to provide milk to your young" she said touching Hope's breasts. Her fingers went to her small bare soles. "Ten fingers and toes to help grasp tree trunks for climbing. Arched feet for walking upright" she said moving her finger to her pussy. "A shift in pelvis because walking upright was successful. And yet makes it more difficult and dangerous to bear children" she said rubbing her pussy. Hope gasped and squirmed. "Vaginal lubrication and sensitivity to encourage mating beyond natural instinct. A big advantage staving off mortality" she said lifting her finger and licking it clean. She touched her head. "The brain smaller yet more efficient. It all led to you. Evolution was not perfect. There were plenty of dead ends, but failure doesn't mean giving up. If at first you don't succeed, try try again" Etherion told her. Hope began to understand what she meant. "Can you show me how it came together? What triggered the paths they took?" Hope asked. "You mean Susan, your father, and those around them?" Etherion asked. "I want to preserve it. If I can just nudge things..."

 

"Every moment is unique in itself. What you're asking, to make it stay the same outcome is impossible. But...a facsimile may be done. That's a massive undertaking even for you" she replied. "Show me. Show me what happened just like you did before. I want to memorize it all" Hope said. Etherion saw she was set on her decision and showed her every good moment surrounding people she loved. From the evening Susan sat in her room crying and holding her sword, to the night Rose befriended Alyssa. Hope saw EVERYBFING. 

 

There was no way to tell how long Hope sat there staring at thousands of images floating in the air. Time and space had no meaning where she was. "You're right. I can't recreate the nuances that led to these events, but I can encourage them...sort of" Hope said to Etherion. The woman nodded. "So, can you now teach me?" Hope asked. "There one last thing you should know. The most critical and the real reason you were brought here. Do you remember how Joseph merged your past and present selves?" she asked. "Yeah. Preventing a paradox. I already considered that" she replied. "When he did that, the fabric of reality...hmm how do I... ah" she said making the cloth she was working on before reappearing. "Like this fabric, reality can be stretched but to a point. Too much and it will tear like in the case of the rift you saw. What Joseph did was a stretch. A few minutes isn't much at all but two identical Etherion users in the same time puts a strain on reality. A strain that reality could afford when he did it. Now, going back, undoing things, two Hope McCormick’s running around would tear reality again. A tear not even Etherion can fix. If you want to do this...you must sever your link to Etherion" she explained.

 

"But how?" Hope asked. "Only two ways can a user be untethered from Etherion. One is by death. And the other is how Joseph, Pele, and Ikaros did" she replied. "An Etherion seed. I have to create an Etherion seed. But those transform humans into magical races" Hope said. "Indeed, they do. Another choice within a choice" Etherion said smiling.  "Any other catches?" Hope asked. "Your father was once told that higher powers have taken a notice of you. If this is done, they will no longer just sit idly by. Some could very well come for you" Etherion warned.  "Higher powers?" she asked. "Gods Hope. Beings mortals consider gods. They do exist" Etherion replied. "...let them come. What I've done I nothing positive to show for it. Not even the father of my unborn child" Hope said touching her belly. Etherion walked over to her and touched her stomach. She was indeed with child. Very early on but Hope could sense the life taking root inside her. "I don't even know who the father is. They're both dead" she muttered. "You have the power to see" she said. "Yes, but I'm afraid" Hope said. "Good. Fear can make one humble and considerate of one’s actions. You may very well succeed. Close your eyes Hope and give yourself over to knowledge" she said. Hope closed her eyes. She felt a giant hand around her body. She was lifted off her feet and presented horizontally. The giantess pushed Hope in headfirst and her pussy walls did the rest.   

 

Hope was pulled in deeper and deeper. Of course, she wondered how being sucked into a giant cunt antiquated with knowledge, but an odd calmness descended over her heart. Her head bumped into her cervix and then she was pulled into her spacious womb. In there Hope found she could stand. It was pure darkness. From the soles of her feet to the top of her head she was shrouded in darkness until points of lights began to appear. Dozens, hundreds, tens of thousands until she felt as if she stood within a sea of stars. Then came an understanding. "Of course. All things begin in creation. Life, the soul, and knowledge. Of course, it would be here in the womb" she muttered. Her body tingled as untempered thought, knowledge, and wisdom filled her very being. She knew how to control time now but also why Etherion had never shown itself to anyone else. Hope was what Etherion considered a "singularity". The tipping point where Etherion could help the world without destruction. Where the scale of good and evil was at balance. The first time in its existence an Etherion user could break the cycle of destruction and madness. Hope opened her eyes after a time to see that she was standing in the kitchen at home once more like no time had passed. 

 

"I'm in no position to stop you but you will cause more destruction than before. Time is..."

 

"A delicate intricate part of the fabric of reality. To control it properly, one must consider the cause an effect of multiple things leading to multiple outcomes. Not to mention the paradoxes of having two identical existences in the same time frame" Hope finished. "...yes. That's exactly right" Joseph said astonished. "Honey. What's going on?" Aspen asked coming to the kitchen awoken by the shouting. "I know how to fix it mom. I know how to do it" Hope replied. "Your daughter is planning to go back in time and change history. A huge risk" Joseph said. "Is it riskier than nuclear Armageddon? That is what you're referring to right Susan?" Hope asked sensing her. "Hope it won't come to that. We can find another way" Susan said. Hope floated off the floor and to her face. "Terrible liar you are Aunt Suzie" she smiled. Hope floated away after petting her giant cheek. She thrusted her hand over her head and began. "No! Mommy forbids this!" Aspen screamed clasping her hands around her small daughter. A gentle force pushed them open. "It's the only way. I know it more than anything I've ever known. Mommy don't cry. You're not losing me. You'll have the other Hope" she said softly. Aspen found she couldn't move as she sobbed and wailed hysterically. It was the last clear thing Hope saw of that world before it blurred and as swallowed up in light. 

 

It felt like she was falling but everything was surrounded in light like before. Her tears fell into eternity as she traveled to her chosen place and time. And as she neared, she readied herself to cast off her Etherion power. She reached within herself and felt the connection. Using her very soul as a forge, she crafted an Etherion seed. She appeared where she intended to be and felt her power cut away. She still had impressive power compared to others, but it was as if she saw with one eye, walked with one leg, heard with one ear. She was diminished and the scope of what she was, how powerful she really was before, made her tremble. The dirt felt hot and dry under her bare feet, so she conjured clothing. Breathable sandals, light simple clothing, and a white cloak. It was time to create a new race...

 

September 28, 2018 Rwanda 

 

She had walked a certain way. Using a perception spell, she kept eyes off the odd figure walking among the village. It was a precarious place. Just 20 years before, it was a place of murder and tribal hatred. Tutsi and Hutu killing one another, mostly Hutu doing the killing. And as the hatred and warlords moved off, those not in the mind of genocide returned. But some had families on both sides not too keen on living among those they tried to slaughter. The place was a powder keg. It was perfect for her. Motioning her hands, the land was fertile again, water clean and plentiful. No doubt it would attract others to come but that was the point. Hope stood in the center of town and cast the seed high into the air. Like a puff of dandelion, it cast off smaller seeds in every direction. Seeds that would find its root in Tutsi and Hutu females. 25 each. And then she left for three days.  Hope returned to find the entire town abuzz with what had occurred. Hope had not created a new race from scratch. No. She had learned of an extinct race called the Aziz. A race of beautiful women borrower size with wings like butterflies. A race of prosperity, love, kindness, and a specialty with healing magic. A race extinguished when the slave trade came centuries ago. A race lost to history but not to the collected knowledge of Etherion. Odd thing was, not even it knew who created it. But it did provide the blueprint for Hope to work with.

 

The people were very familiar with the old legends of the Aziz and found it a miracle to see them once more. More astonishing to find their own people transformed into them. Hope watched them carefully. Indoors and outdoors, they were found and not one harmed. Gently touching their wings to watch them flutter. Petting them. Of course, some were terrified of the change so Hope made herself known. Once she dropped her perception spell, eyes focused on the outsider in while standing in the center of town. Tensions high as neither side trusted the other let alone an outsider, they grabbed whatever could be a weapon and came to her. Hope lowered her hood and they paused as they did not expect a white teenage girl. "Do not be afraid. No harm will come to anyone" she said in their language. "This is no place for a westerner. Leave here before someone makes you a sex slave" one said. With a gesture, every knife, pole, machete, and gun was forced to the ground. The people jumped. Hope gathered the weapons, shrank them, and handed them to a random person before walking to a table where an Aziz stood. They were terrified of the woman who made things glow and smaller. The old adage "white devil" had been spoken before but not so literally until now.   Hope sat down at the table across from a young man. In front of him the Aziz who seemed no older than 13. Neither was able to move out of fright.

 

"What do you think of this?" Hope asked him looking at the Aziz cowering in his hand. He said nothing until Hope squeezed his free hand and smiled. "You made my sister beautiful" he replied softly. "Are you upset she is not human anymore?" she asked. He didn't answer. Hope motioned for his sister to come closer. "What's your name?" she asked. "Uhura" the girl replied softly. "A pretty name for a pretty girl. Are you angry you are this way now?" she asked. "I feel different. Like I have purpose. It's confusing" she replied. "I know how you feel but are you angry?" she asked. "...no" she replied. "Good. I was hoping you wouldn't be. I'm still learning how to think things through before I do stuff" Hope giggled. "You...you did this?" Uhura asked. "Yes. To give a balance to things" she replied. There was doubt in their eyes until Hope took it upon herself to shrink down and stand beside her. Everyone gasped. Uhura bowed before her as did everyone around. "The great creator!" one shouted. "No! I am no such thing. I am just a girl with magic unknown to you. I am no goddess" she said. She had Uhura raise her head. "Come! Everyone come so I can explain" Hope said. People crowded around the basic broke down restaurant to listen to her talk.

 

She spoke of how each continent, except for Australia and Antarctica had a magical race of their own. She told them why she split the seed among two tribes that disliked one another to promote harmony and family. How the humans here should serve as guardians like the olden times. How their existence should be kept hidden. They revered her. Her gentle voice, her words, her smile, how she cared for the Aziz. Two days had passed, and Hope found it was time to go. Hope laid on a soft thicket of grass staring at the stars. "So, I can have kids right?" Uhura asked lazing about on Hope's tummy. "Of course, silly. A species can't survive without kids. I did split the males and females between the tribes though. Tutsi's have males, Hutu's have females. You'll have to get along though" Hope said smiling as she rubbed her tiny feet. "I have to leave you" Hope whispered. "No great one! You cannot leave us. The people are afraid they are not up to the task you laid out" she said. "You will be fine. Now and then I will check on you and your people just have to call on me if it is dire" Hope said sitting up. Uhura fluttered onto her shoulder as she walked back to the center of town. People felt something was different. "I must go" she said. The people begged her not to in jumbled speech. "You know what you must do, what I hope you must do. Let this mark the beginning of a new race, a new tradition, the end of violence" she said. "We don't even know your name" someone said. True. Hope had not told them who she was in all of this. Hope realized at that moment, if she was going to live in this new timeline, she couldn't use her name anymore. There was already one Hope McCormick in the world. She chose one similar yet different.

 

"Faith. My name is Faith" she said. Uhura flittered off her shoulder crying. "Aww. Don't cry" she said. "I'm not crying! You are!" Uhura said childishly sniffling. Faith wiped the tears away she did shed. Faith kissed the girl softly. "You promise you'll come?" Uhura asked. "You're a literal part of me. I will feel you all wherever I go. Goodbye for now Uhura" Hope said. She translocated away. 

 

Faith had checked the date twice. An important day in a slew of important dates in her borrower inherited memory. October 7, 2018. It was the day Susan almost committed suicide. In her timeline, Rose had opened her door just moments before she stuck the blade in her throat. Rose left moments later not sticking around. Faith theorized if she had, Susan wouldn't have stayed in depression nearly two months longer. She had changed her appearance as she would be recognized easily if not as she made her way to the sunroom. It irked her that she had to prepare and concentrate for hours just doing so. Before, Etherion would've made the change effortless and instantaneous. Her skin the color of sandalwood, her hair was black now and her eyes a gentle hazel. Her clothes were simple enough and she checked her scent. She shed a tear as no trace of her inherited father or mother's scent remained. The time was 9:44 pm. She entered the sunroom and found Rose drinking hot chocolate. "Excuse me. Ms. Durmont?" Faith asked. "Hello miss. You can just call me Rose. What seems to be the trouble?" Rose asked putting her cup down on the table. "Well. I was walking outside for fresh air and heard someone crying from that room down there" Faith replied pointing to around the hallway. "You did?" Rose asked. Faith nodded. 

 

"More like heartbroken sobbing really" Faith said. Rose nodded and left the room. Faith listened in. "Susan you sure you're okay. Your eyes are red and you're holding your sword funny" Rose said. "Just having a hard night. Nothing to be worked up about. If you could I'd like to be alone" Susan said. Rose closed the door and returned to the kitchen. "It was my friend. Since my mom died, she's been very depressed" Rose said. "Sounds like she could use company" Faith said. "Well she wants to be left alone" Rose shrugged. "What we want isn't always what we need. I think you should go back" Faith said. Rose thought for a moment.  Faith hoped she'd reconsider. She didn't want to risk using too much of her magic here. Just concealing her magic from her other self was challenging. "You're right. I didn't like the look of hoe she was holding that sword. Dammit I shouldn't have left. Thanks..."

 

"Faith" she finished. Rose nodded and left the room. Faith listened in. "I said I wanted to be alone Rose" Susan said. "Tough luck. Now why don't you put the sword down and hold me for a while. You don't have to act tough around me" Rose said. Faith heard a faint clunk as the sword was dropped onto the floor. "I miss her too. I won't let you hurt all alone Suzie" Rose said. Faith figured she did what she could for that moment as Susan cried into Rose's shoulder.

 

Later that night, Faith snuck into Susan's room. She smiled to herself to find that she was not alone. A giantess Rose sleeping soundly with a tiny Susan next to her on a pillow. Faith hovered onto the bed. She loved them like family. She really did consider Susan an aunt and Rose a big sister. It was hard to be there and not be "there". Her new persona made her feel like an outsider to them. Rose's feet poked out from the bedsheets. Her left sole towering over her. Long slender toes unpainted but neat and trim. Faith gently felt her bare sole. Smooth, warm, the smell of lotion and feet. Rose's scent. Her heart ached to be with them again as she kicked herself for taking for granted them being in her life. She afforded herself a kiss on her giant arch. That much she allowed herself. Faith scribbled out a note and placed it on the nightstand. It was the address of Susan's father. If events were to change, then the events leading to her finding her father would too. Faith left them and went back to what she called home now. 

 

She sat in her bathtub longer than usual. The hooting of owls outside her window the only sound. She lived simply in a cabin not far from Tacoma Washington. Nice, quiet, and off the grid. It was then she came to terms that the people she loved most of all she could never be with them again. Her parents most of all. Faith cried softly as it felt she lost her father for a second time. She could never tell him he was going to be a grandfather. A little while later, as she lay in bed, she went over what to do next.