- Text Size +

 

Four weeks later...

 

"It was too soon! You rushed it and you fucked up!" Sam shouted. Tim walked in as her and Connors was shouting at one another. "What's going on?" Tim asked. "This sloppy ass excuse of a researcher tried to recreate the success we had with Mary on Lucy" Sam huffed. "And right there is the problem. Lucy. You two bleeding hearts have forgotten there not people! They're subjects! We get more!" Connors yelled. Tim wasn't fully following what was happening until he saw something on the table. He walked up and cringed. Lucy, naked on a tray, dead with her eyes frozen in fear, pain, shock, or all the above. "What have you done?" he asked heartbroken. Tim sat on the stool looking at the small dead body. He could see she died in so much pain her toes were still curled. Tim got off the stool so fast it fell. "WHAT DID YOU DO?!" Tim screamed grabbing Connors collar. She pushed him off her. "Used your own goddamned notes to recreate the experiment" she replied.

 

"There was a complication. Her body went into anaphylactic shock. Then acute nervous..."

 

"She stroked, convulsed, and shat herself before she died! All because of you!" Sam yelled. "Was it all me? You sure you have me the right data Mr. Kendall?" Connors asked. She walked very close to him. "I don't know what your game is here but if I find out you lied; you're done" she hissed. "My god Jeremy" Sam muttered. Sam looked at her. "Don't concern yourself with him. He won't miss her...now. Never ate one before but I see the why it's appealing" Connors said coldly. "Now if you excuse me. I got a report to make and Kendall, send me the correct enzyme" she said turning her back. Tim felt a rage he'd never felt before. He grabbed a microscope and hit her in the back of the head. She grunted falling on the floor and Tim used his weight to keep her down. Over and over he wacked her in the head until his lab coat was covered in blood. He let go of the murder weapon only because his hand hurt. He stood up.

 

"Get Mary and Teagan" he said softly. Sam didn't move. "NOW!" he yelled. Sam rushed off. Tim took off his coat and washed his hands. Even in hot water they shook. "They're here" Sam said. "Guys what's...oh shit!" Teagan yelled seeing the body. "Remember what we talked about?" Tim said walking to them. Mary was aghast at the blood on his face. "Yeah we do" Teagan said holding his now very pregnant sister. "This is the day" he said. "Lucy and Jeremy!" Mary yelled. "They're dead" he said flatly. Mary sobbed into Teagan’s shoulder. Tim grabbed Sam by the arm and led her out (with cage in hand) outside. "I've been packed. What about you?" he asked. "A few things and Kaya of course" Sam replied. "Then we'll go to your house, grab your shit, and head out of town" he said before getting into his Celica. The both drove to her place keeping their speed down. Stopping at every sign and light. Nothing to alert the cops or whomever ZODIAC was.

 

"You're home early" Kaya said seeing them arrive. Sam ignored her and went to the bedroom. "Did something happen...fucking hell Tim" she said seeing blood on his face. "We're leaving. It finally happened" Tim said as he washed his face in the kitchen. "I thought we had more time" Kaya said. "I beat a woman to death with a microscope so no" he said. "Tim there's my luggage case in the hallway closet. Family pictures, a video or two..." Sam said from the bedroom. "You almost done?" he asked opening the door. "Almost. Two weeks’ worth of clothes and a grand in cash" she said. Tim paused. "You didn't take that all out at once did you?" he asked. Tim didn't get an answer as the front door was kicked in. "Oh god. He's got a gun" Kaya said. Tim glanced down the hallway and could see a reflection in a mirror. A man in his thirties with ginger hair and very expensive business suit. Tim began looking for something as he wasn't stupid enough to try to tackle him.

 

"Don't move Ms. Wu" the man said catching her in the bedroom doorway. With his back to him, he hadn't seen Tim yet. Tim scooted into the closet. "Over here" he said pointing a silencer pistol at her. "Please don't shoot me" Samantha begged. "If you cooperate I won't. I noticed you withdrew a large amount of cash this week. Seeing how I sign your check I have the inside track at your bank. And here I see a suitcase. Planning to skip town?" he asked. "You're...you're O'Malley" Sam said. "Julius O'Malley. If you know that then you're more dangerous than I thought" he said aiming the gun at her head. "Hmm...maybe I'm being too hasty" he said. He turned the centerpiece on a necklace around his neck. He changed almost instantly to a young Asian man. "What...what the fuck?!" Sam yelled. Even Tim had to stifle as gasp. With a snap of his fingers, he shrank Sam until she was the same height as her borrower Kaya. He bent down, grabbed her, and placed her next to her on the table. 

 

"Wonderous thing it is. You see I knew Connors was a shitty scientist, but she's was greedy and greed buys loyalty...for a time. But you and Kendall, ah yes you two. The brains but not enough moral ambiguity. This power I have is a drop in the bucket compared to what's out there. Power I'm willing to share if you and he come back. He is here right? That's his car outside" he said. Even thought shocked beyond belief, Tim looked for a way to attack him. "He hauled ass and left me. Took a cab" Sam said. "The engine in his car is still hot. He's been here no longer than ten minutes. Not long enough to call a cab and have it arrive. I see that negotiations have failed" he said glancing at her purse. He picked it up. "I can still complete the project with just him" he said raising over them. "SAMMY!" Kaya said shoving her shrunken owner aside as hard as she could. The leather purse came down missing Sam by a centimeter.  *SQUELCH*

 

"KAYAAAA!" Sam shrieked as the girl was so thoroughly squashed her blood splatter covered her from her tiny toes to her collarbone. Tim franticly looked for anything to stop him and found something. O'Malley snatched Sam up. "A nice gesture. Touching really" he said. "You'll get yours. Every dog has his day but in the end they’re still a fucking dog" Sam said spitting at him. "I'll keep it in mind" O'Malley said before shoving her into his mouth. Tim pulled an old skillet out of a moving box just as the faintest shrieks escaped his lips. O'Malley began chewing her up. A trickle of blood ran down from his lips. And within seconds...Sam was no more.

 

Tim dashed from his hiding place with the skillet not caring anymore if he got shot or not. At least he figured he'd go down fighting. "A skillet?" O'Malley laughed as he snapped his fingers. There was an audible pop as some invisible force hit the skillet and Tim was unharmed. "Impossible!" O'Malley yelled as he aimed his gun. The shot went off into Tim’s shoulder but that wasn't enough to hit the man so hard he crashed into the wall. He glanced for a second at the remains of Kaya and found renewed energy to smash his skull in. The second time today the man had beat someone to death. Luck had found only him in that apartment. The skillet in his shanking hand was an heirloom given to Samantha by her mother. An old iron skillet passed down through her family. The cold iron a natural protector from the hasty shrinking spell. Tim sprinted out of the door and saw a large brand-new Mercedes with two men standing beside it. And a young girl with red hair in the back seat. They drew their guns as Tim jumped into the Toyota. A shot went off blowing out his back window. Tim hit the gas and let go of the clutch as a man grabbed onto the back and began pulling himself up.

 

"Sam!" Mary yelled from the cage in the passenger seat. Tim threw it into second as the 1.6-liter four banger squealed. "Stop you little shit!" the man yelled as his torso was halfway in. Tim could see him trying to steady his aim in the rear view. He slammed the brakes throwing the man forward into the center console. The car stalled. The gun fell into Tim's lap. With no hesitation, he grabbed it and shot him in the head. Tim started the car back up and began driving. "Tim. We need you to say something man" Teagan said. Tim pulled over and got out the car. The sun has set in the winter January sky and Tim walked to the side of car and puked. His legs felt like jelly as adrenaline wore off. "Sam... Kaya...they're dead" he told them with the body of a giant man lying on their cage. "Mary" Teagan said as his sister cried. "They won't stop looking for us. Somebody with a car as expensive as that is gonna have friends" Tim muttered as he pulled the dead body off the cage and out the car. "Jesus Tim. What're you doing?" Teagan asked. "Something utterly crazy" he replied as he stripped the body of his clothing. 10 minutes later, Tim wore his clothes and vice versa. He shoved the body into the back of the hatch.

 

"What now?" Mary asked softly. "The only way we're getting peace is if we die...or at least have people think we died. There's a quarry not far from here" he replied. It was a quiet, breezy, cold drive the rest of the way. Tim backed the car up to the edge of the drop off and got out. "Tim. Won't they know that ain't you?" Teagan asked. "The drop is severe enough the body will smash the skull in. No bullet hole. The body is almost as tall as me and if the off chance something on him survives, he's got my clothes, wallet, and metal watch. The gas tank will rupture upon impact spilling gas o to the hot engine. The fire does the rest" he explained as he put the body in the driver seat. Tim placed the cage on the ground, closed the door, and began pushing the car backwards. Once it got momentum, the Celica fell right off in a clean curve and landed with a heavy thud of groaning metal. No explosion. "Guess it's not like the movies...*BOOOM*"

 

"Or maybe it is" Tim said peeking down. Tim picked the cage up and began walking. "There's a bus station a few miles down the road. We'll take that and disappear" Tim said. Nobody said a word as he walked down the road illuminated only by moonlight. The loss of friends and their lives heavy on their hearts. Tim got to the station just as the last schedule was posted for the night. "Where is it headed? Miami?" Tim asked. "Yep" the ticket counter replied eyeballing the dirty suited man carrying a cage of borrowers. A weird sight but not the weirdest for him. "I'll take a ticket" Tim said. "$73.50" he said. Tim realized the money was back at Sam's and his wallet burning with a corpse at the bottom of a rock quarry. He dug into his pockets and found two 20's. "How far will that get me?" Tim asked. The counter looked on a sheet. "Pike county Georgia" he replied. "Fine" he said giving him the money. Tim got his ticket and he sat down. "Mary?" Teagan asked seeing his sister grimace. "Oh god not now" Mary whined. Teagan and Tim saw her water had broken.  Tim rushed into the bathroom.

 

"Okay some hot water, clean paper towels. Fuck what else?" Tim asked running water. Tim (against better judgement) placed Mary inside the bathroom sink. He damn near forgot to place the plug over the drain. "We're right here sis" Teagan said holding her hand. "We're both here" Tim said using his fingers to hold the other. Mary screamed in pain during process. "Push sweetie. You gotta push" Tim said. "You called me sweetie..." she smiled. The smile went away as another contraction kicked in. Teagan and Tim saw something odd. Teagan could sense something was amiss and Tim knew for a fact there was. Tim has seen borrower births before in biology class. They were fast, efficient, and overall easy. Not for Mary. Her body spasmed, her toes curled, milk shot form her nipples. "If...if something happens...don't hate him" Mary said to her little brother. "If there's a God. Give me this. You owe me. You fuckin' owe me!" Tim shouted thinking about his jacked-up childhood. "...don't let them suffer for my mistake" he begged crying. And then a tiny cry...

 

"A girl. It's a girl" Mary said looking at the baby Teagan held. Tim cleaned her up carefully, but they had to be quick as the bus would soon leave. He placed them back in the cage against his own feelings. "What are you going to name her?" Tim asked. Mary looked at him. "We never even thought about it. Susan? Our mom was named Susan" Mary asked. "A pretty name" Tim said as exited the bathroom.

 

"Whoa. Hold The fuck up" Susan said. "Sweetheart please. You’re in a house of worship" Tim said. "Okay sorry. You're telling me you're my real dad, I'm part human, and I was born in a bus station bathroom sink?!" Susan yelled. "And part Lemurian" Keith added. Susan glared at him.  "I said I'd explain. Never said it was glamorous kiddo" Tim said. "So how did you end up like this and why can't I remember more than bits and pieces?" Susan asked. "Ah. That's where the story really gets interesting" Tim said.

 

Tim got off the bus. It was 6 in the morning and still dark. Broke and no idea what to do next, he sat down on the bench outside. "She okay?" he asked. "Somehow yes. They're both are" Teagan replied looking at them both sleep. "Mind if I sit down?" a man asked. "...free country dude" Tim replied. The man sat down. "Traveled far didn't ya? And I don't mean just by bus" he said. Tim looked at him. A man with tanned skin, white hair tied in a ponytail, and piercing amber eyes. At first glance he looked mid-50's but he had not one wrinkle in his face. "Joseph is the name" he said extending his hand. Tim shook it just to be polite. "Interesting folk you got there" he said. Tim pulled the cage away. "Wasn't gonna hurt them. You got a place to go?" he asked. Tim shook his head. "Come with me. Get ya some good and a nice shower" he said. "No offense there but I ain't gay" Tim said. "Me neither but you don’t look well in that shoulder and friends look mightily rough there. Especially the mom and kid" he said pointing at Mary and Susan. Tim had come too far to watch them die.

 

Reluctantly, he followed the man to his car, a 64 Chevy Impala SS bright red, and got in. "Nice car" Tim said closing the door and holding the cage. "Get me where I want to go...or where I need to be" he replied. Tim got worried as the man pulled onto a dirt road. "Relax boy. You're safe" the man said as he neared his home. Tim noticed something peculiar about the home. It was surrounded by flowers. Flowers blooming in January. He had him come in. It was nicer than he thought it would be. Impeccable wood floors. Antiques of many kinds. And a painting of a strange place. "I'll fix some grub" he said going into the kitchen. Tim sat quietly checking on his borrowers until the man had him come eat. "You don't mind?" Tim said looking at the threesome. "By all means" the man said. Tim had them exit the cage and sit on the table. Teagan was tired, Susan drank her mommy's milk, and Mary looked like shit. "Eggs poached, French toast, sausage links with mustard, and of course hash browns" he said. Tim was astonished.

 

"All my favorites just like I want them. Even the mustard" Tim said. The man smiled. "And for you miss. Gatorade and rice porridge" he said handing a borrower size portion to her. "That'll perk ya up" he said sitting down. "Thanks sir" Tim said. "No sir for me Tim. Just Joseph" he said. Tim grabbed his knife. "Never told you my name" he growled. "No ya didn't. After a while thing tend to escape my mind. And no, I'm not one of those ZODIAC whatchamacallits" he said. "Who the hell are you?" Tim asked. "That's your biggest question in that brain of yours? No how did Sam shrink or that guy change into an Asian fella?" Joseph asked. Tim didn't know either to be afraid or curious. "Magic boy. All magic. Same thing that lets me know your thoughts and what led me to you...or more specifically her" he said pointing to Susan.

 

"Keep back from my kid" Tim said. The man put his finger on the knife and pushed it down to the plate. "That DNA you found. What if I told ya it came from humans that could use magic? That a race of humans existed that could control the aspects of the universe with just a snap of their fingers well before man discovered fire?" he asked. The man grinned at him. "Finish your plate while I get the bathroom ready" he said leaving the kitchen. "Dude is fucking wacked" Teagan said. "She did shrink Teagan" Tim said. "...you serious?" he asked Tim nodded. "If he wanted to hurt us, he could've done it already with the food" Mary said. "You heard him. He set his sights on our daughter. Jesus, I said our daughter..." Tim sighed. Everyone was on edge for a while.

 

That evening...

 

"He said we could stay here as long as we want" Tim said. "We have nowhere else" Teagan said. Tim looked closely as his daughter nursing. "Hungry girl" he chuckled. "She has your brown eyes" Mary said. "Won't let him hurt you two" Tim muttered as he laid in bed.

 

Weeks passed and they found the man was no threat to them. He explained fantastic things about a place called Lemuria like he had been there. He answered many questions but never about himself. "Why won't he answer? His age? Where he was born? Hell, we don't even know his last name" Teagan said holding his niece. "We all have our secrets. Let's respect his" Tim said rubbing Mary's little feet. "Agreed. He's shown us nothing but kindness. Tim suck my feet please" Mary asked. Tim took her feet into his mouth and gently sucked them. Mary sighed contently as his taste buds felt so good on her swollen tiny soles. "I did notice something odd. Whenever Susan cries, he shows right up and smiles. And like that she just stops and smiles back. That's weird as shit for a baby barely a month old" Mary said. "He said she's special but won't elaborate" Teagan said. "She is boy" Joseph said entering the room. "How?" Teagan asked. Tim stopped sucking on her feet embarrassed.

 

"Don't stop on my account. She does have cute feet" he said smiling. "Joseph. What do you mean she's special?" Tim asked. "Susan is a first. A brand new one of a kind species. She carries the seed of magic" he replied. "Magic you refuse to elaborate or teach" Tim said. "For good reason. You yourself saw what happens when humans desire such power. Or did you think your project was just out of curiosity?" Joseph asked. He sat next to them and placed an folder on the coffee table. "What's that?" Tim asked. "Your new life. Inside are papers for you to assume the identity of my son. Social security, birth certificate, medical, and school records. From now on you're Brian Thomas" he said. Tim opened the folder. "...you're kidding" he said. "You're dead boy. Dead people don't go far in this world" Joseph said.

 

The man stood up, went to grab a bag out of his closet, and placed it at the door. "Going somewhere?" Teagan asked. "Time for me to rejoin the world. Been sitting on my ass in this forest too long now. The house, car, and bank accounts have been signed over in your new name. Make sure Trixie gets her oil changed on time" he said. "Wait! You can't just leave man!" Tim yelled standing. Joseph snapped his fingers. "You're right. Stand still" he said. The man touched his face and it changed. "Tim your face!" Mary said. Tim glanced in a mirror with shock. "Oh Jesus" he said touching his cheeks. ""Gotta look different too" Joseph said. "But my eyes" Tim said. "What about them? What's wrong with them?" Joseph asked. "...nothing" Tim said. "Damn straight nothing. Different isn't a sin. And one final thing and it's the most important" he said taking two pieces of paper out of the folder. "What are these?" Tim asked. "Arcane magic of the highest tier. This one is a kind of escape plan in case those ZODIAC fells come knocking. Think of a place while holding it and poof you're there. And this one...take care of this one. Even I don't know what kind of power that baby has or even if she has power. However, if she does and it proves to be dangerous, this will seal that power. But take heed. As her power is unknown to me, there might be side effects to using that spell. Use it as a last resort" he said. "Joseph, who are you?" Tim asked. "Just a man trying to do right. Take care of yourself...son" he said picking up his bag. As mysteriously as he met him, he had left him.

 

"Did you ever see him again?" Susan asked. Tim shook his head. "A few years passed, and I decided to become a preacher. Figured a way to atone for trying to play God was to serve him. I got the job of being the preacher of this church. Things were going fairly well. You were growing up with no problems and by mutual decision, Teagan would be your father and I'd be uncle Brian" Tim said. "I'm curious. Did Teagan and Mary have kids biologically?" Keith asked. Tim sighed. "The trauma to Mary when she gave birth was so extreme it rendered her infertile. Susan literally broke the mold" he said. Susan looked down at her feet. Tim used his fingernail to prop her chin up. "It's my sin to bear sweetie not yours" Tim said. "Tim... Brian...dad...Jesus I don't know what to call you" Susan said. "Whatever you want" Tim said. "...dad. Dad why can't I remember anything good before I was 12? I have next to no memory before that" she asked. "Because of that seal. I'll continue..."

 

"That play was beautiful. Those kids sounded like angels" Mary said sitting on the coffee table. "Giant kids that would've hurt us if they saw us Mary" Teagan said. "The church gives sanctuary to all Teagan, even teenage boys no bigger than my finger" Brian said chuckling. "I respect your beliefs, but borrowers don't believe in a God that made us small enough we're easy prey" he said. "He gave you gifts to survive. Of all the pet shops to end up in, you were in one that eventually led you here. We might not understand his plan now, but it comes clear in the end" Brian said. Tim shrugged. Brian picked him up. "Who's a ticklish boy? Hmm?" Brian said tickling the boy’s chest. "Okay dude stop!" Teagan laughed. "I didn't have a family for my entire childhood, but I found one eventually" Brian said. "Tim... I mean Brian. It must be hard for her not to call you dad" Teagan said looking at four-year-old Susan playing on a giant teacup.

 

"We all agreed it was easier for her to understand this way. One day we can tell her the truth" Brian said. "There's been no hint of anything weird from her so far" Mary said. "We're not out of the woods yet. Some species undergo drastic changes during sexual maturity. Well, other than tits and pubic hair and whatnot" Brian said. "True. When Mary hit her peek, she was a needy, crabby, smelly footed brat of a big sis" Teagan said. Mary hit him with a piece of Christmas cookie. "Good aim...owww" he said. "Well it's getting late...Susan lets...Susan?" Mary asked. They looked around and didn't see her. "Susan?!" They yelled. No response. "SHIT!" Brian yelled seeing a small body floating face down in his tea. The giant scooped her out and placed her on the table. "Breathe honey! Come on breathe! BREATHE!" Teagan screamed as he gave the inch-tall girl CPR. A long minute passed with no response.

 

"Is this your God's plan?! All our suffering just to have her end up drowning in your fucking tea?!" Teagan yelled at the giant. Mary was sobbing nearby. Suddenly, Susan coughed the tea out of her lungs, took a deep breath and sat up. The air grew unsettled. "Susan!" Teagan yelled going to hug her. And when she turned to look at them, they collectively gasped. A glint of light shone from her eye. Teagan held her shoulders gazing into it. And then, Susan let out a scream. An unnatural screech that threw the teenager back 7 inches, shattered the teacup and the antique mirror in the living room. The girl sat there sobbing after it was done. Mary came over to her and held her tight.

 

A few hours later...

 

"How is she?" Brian asked. "Asleep" Mary replied softly. "I think we have our answer to if she has powers or not" Brian said. "Her eye was glowing. It has the same weird writing in it like that's drawings Joseph gave you" Teagan said. "But why now?" Mary asked. "Some organisms undergo a physical or mental change when it's survival is threatened. Susan was clinically dead for at least three minutes. No heartbeat, no breathing. If she was human, she'd be a vegetable" Brian said. "How can you say it so calmly?!" Teagan yelled. Brian showed him his shaking hands. "My daughter drowned Teagan. MY daughter. Calm checked out of the hotel and stole the soap and towels" Brian said. "We use that seal thing. We have to" Mary said. "No. Joseph said there could be bad consequences using it" Brian said. "She has a power inside her we know nothing about!" Mary yelled. "A power that so far healed her brain damage, brought her back, shattered my teacup and knocked Teagan on his tiny butt. That's not exactly evil territory here" Brian said. Mary looked at Teagan.

 

"He's right. Let's not jump the gun" Teagan said. "Fine! But we can't keep doing this" she said. They looked at her. "I mean raising her like she's human. She not understanding the danger of that teacup is proof of that. She needs to grow up like a true borrower" she said. "Mary. What are you saying?" Brian asked. "We raise her like a rural borrower Tim. Teach her how to survive like we did. She can't do that sitting on your coffee table watching Sesame Street" she replied.

 

The next morning...

 

"Me and Mary talked it over. We're going to live in the forest tree with the big knot in it" Teagan said. Brian was quiet. "Snakes, raccoons, hawks..." Brian muttered. "We know how to get by. You'll still get to see her Tim" Teagan said petting his giant cheek. A tear washed over his hand. "But I'll worry everyday" he muttered. "We know. This wasn't easy for us either. They love you and even though we fight I love you too" Teagan said. Tim kissed the small teen boy sitting in his shoulder. "Don't be a stranger" Brian muttered.

 

3 years later...

 

"It's been projected that this winter storm will drop ice and snow throughout the region. The governor of Georgia already declared a state of emergency for the following counties...Pike, Macon, Decatur..." the weather forecaster said. Brian sat in his chair worried. The winter so far had proved to be a very cold one and his thoughts rested on the borrowers he called family. He had respected their choice of living separate from him the last three years. They had come to visit now and then but it was sporadic at best. "Dammit" he hissed getting up and putting his shoes on. The crunch of dead grass was loud as he made his way to their home. "Hello?" he said knocking on the bark of the tree. Teagan emerged. "Sup Brian" he said. "The news on tv said a nasty winter storm is coming. I think it's best you guys bunk with me" Brian said.  

 

"We'll be fine Brian. Thanks for the concern though" Teagan said. "Teagan. People are gonna die in this. Now I get you have your own thing but I'm being polite here by asking. I'll not have you risk my daughter's life because of your pride. Now pack some shit and come out" Brian said sitting in the grass. Brian shivered as he patiently waited. They emerged eventually with a few things. The giant unfolded an old donut box and one by one placed them inside. "It's smells funny Uncle Brian" Susan said. "Well it did hold sweet stuff munchkin" he grinned. "This really isn't necessary Brian" Mary said. "Is that your opinion or his?" he asked looking at Teagan. He carried them back to his home.

 

"I'll make popcorn. I got the new Star Wars on VHS" Brian said. The family was quiet enough as they sat on the coffee table. Susan herself was busy watching tv. She didn't care what was on. "This is only until the storm passes" she said. Brian nodded and pushed play. By the time the movie was over, the storm had arrived. Teagan and Susan were curled up asleep on a sofa cushion leaving Mary and Brian awake. "What are you guys so hard up on staying here for this? Look outside" he said holding her in front of the window. The pine trees sagged to the ground from the weight of the ice. "It's not our way" Mary said. "To what? Take charity from a human? I have a borrower daughter Mary. I'm not exactly the run of the mill human. Or maybe you forgot what I did to save your lives?" he said. "Brian..."

 

"That's not my name. Say my name" he said. "Tim" she muttered. "I gave you guys your space. Let him be her father. And half the reason I haven't got married is to protect you all" he said softly. "And the other half?" she asked. He played with her long brown hair. "I think you know" he said. He sat down in the love seat near the fireplace. "Teagan is my mate" she said. "And yet you keep sniffing me" he muttered pulling her tiny shoes off. He felt her delicate sweaty feet between his fingers. She looked up at the giant. "Of course I missed your touch too" she said rubbing his finger. "There are times I wish I was a borrower. I could hold you and Susan without worrying about hurting you" he said. "But you'd have to worry about being eaten and stuff" she said. "Fair trade" he muttered pulling on her clothes.

 

Mary was 24 by this point and time had aged her like fine wine. Her breasts retained their fullness. Living outdoors kept her muscle tone. And her ass had a bit more bounce to it. His hands kept her warm. The reflection of the fire danced in his eyes. Mary laid back in his palm as his fingers rubbed and massaged her body. He brought her close to his lips and with a peck, kissed her belly. His tongue darted out between her little tits and the borrower used her mouth to suck the very tip. His salvia tasted of popcorn and hot chocolate. "I love you so much Mary and I don't even deserve your attentions" he said sorrowfully. His eyes were on her crotch. She knew he meant that her infertility was his fault. "It's a wonder you can trust me so much" he said. "You gave us something wonderful Tim. All you can do is be the man you want to be" she said. Tim scooted her into his mouth. Her breath quickened as his lips closed entombing her.

 

He kept his head level for safety as he sucked on the woman. The mother of his child, inside his mouth, grinding herself on his tongue moaning his name. She tasted salty and sweet. Delicious enough he was tempted to swallow her alive. Never could he do that. Mary was everything to him and she had given him something more precious that a child. Forgiveness. She shuttered in his mouth coating his tongue in her juices. She laid in his hand later as he dried her carefully after a quick rinse. "You sure you're good here?" he asked as she cozier up to her brother and child. "Yeah" she said. "Has Susan been alright lately? Any weirdness?" he asked. "Magic?" she asked. He nodded. "Not a thing” ‘she replied. He nodded and went to bed.

 

A week had passed and the ice and snow melted. Brian sat on the floor in front of the coffee table playing games with Susan.  "Honey you got twenty. You'd need an ace to get 21 now" Brian said. Little Susan looked at the deck hard. She tapped her little bare foot on her face down. "I know Uncle Brian. Hit me" she said. Brian dealt the card. "21! I win again!" she yelled jumping up and down. "That you did" he muttered. For the last week, Brian had been playing all kinds of games to keep her occupied. Teagan and Mary agreed as it kept her in shape moving chess pieces and checkers. However, he noticed something odd. She usually lost with strategy games but games of chance, she always won. ALWAYS. "Ow!" he muttered cutting his finger on the edge of a card. The tiny borrower girl walked right up to his cut finger, touched it, and the cut healed. There was a glint of light in her eye and she yawned. "Sweetie. What was that?" he asked. Susan grew quiet. "I asked a question" he said.

 

"Not supposed to tell" she muttered. "If ya don't I'll eat you up" he said grinning. "Please don't eat me. I'll tell" she said grinning. She knew he'd never do it. It was a game to her. "It's my magic" she whispered. Brian nodded confirming his suspicions. He kissed her face. "Yummy. Might have to have a Susan snack after all" he snickered. Her tummy growled. "Speaking of snacks. Guess it's time for lunch" he said. "Can I have it here? Power rangers is coming on" she said. Brian nodded and left the room. He made lunch for everyone and gave the girl her own share to eat alone. Teagan and Mary sat on the kitchen table with Brian. "So how long has she been using magic?" he asked. They dead stopped. "Well, that the real reason you didn't want to come here right?" he asked.

 

"Yeah" Teagan said. "We're afraid you want to use that seal" Mary said. "Interesting seeing you were so gung ho about using it a few years ago" Brian said. "Things change" Teagan said. "It's little things Brian. Healing cuts and bruises. Knowing when it's going to storm" Mary said. "Oh, I think it's more than that. "Uno, Yahtzee, Blackjack, any games of chance she wins. A little while ago she pulled an ace, the last ace in the deck with over 30 cards left. That's beyond lucky" he said. "I'm saying she's altering probability with her magic. Aware or unaware I don't know" Brian said. "She gets tired from using it" Mary said. Teagan looked at her. "Don't give her that look. This is a family matter after all" Brian said. "So, what do we do?" Teagan asked. "Tell her to be more careful using it. Ask permission. Jesus this is uncharted territory" Brian said.

 

"I set up a place you can stay in the church. You got your space and you're safe from the winter weather. Agreed?" Brian asked. They both nodded.

5 years later...

 

Brian sat down in his office worried. For the last few months, he had been using Susan to heal the very sick of his congregation. It started innocent enough. 12-year-old Susan has snuck onto his podium in the pulpit as one by one people came up to pray to be healed. One was a boy her age with leukemia. She saw the giant boy from her hiding place deathly pale and bald. His hand on the lower part of the podium close enough for her to touch. And touch she did. Brian berated her for sneaking around but it wasn't until a few weeks later that mother of the boy shouted that God had healed him. People flocked to be healed. Sore foot, bad back, deafness, anything. And Susan would heal the very worst. Teagan and Mary were extremely pissed about the whole thing and Brian was loathed to do it but there was a reason behind it all.

 

Earlier that summer a tornado had torn the roof off the church. The repairs set the place back considerably and to avoid foreclosure they needed to bring in some big tithings. Brian said it was temporary until they could catch up and he swore today was the last day. Revival night and due to the nasty weather only half the congregation showed. He was informed parents of a sick baby would appear. He strode out to his podium with his borrower daughter in tow. Now by then they knew of Susan. Brian marketed her as a kind of church mascot which helped her get close to her targets. In fact, his sermons sometimes dealt with how humans treated borrowers. Obviously, those weren't entirely popular.  Brian preached for awhile and then it came time for their little miracle. The mother brought the baby forward to them. "He was born with a weak heart valve. Please Father heal my son" she pleaded.

 

Now here was the cover story. Brian would tell them that God healed the sick by the act of pure innocence. And who was more innocent that a borrower child? Susan was his conduit for lack of a better term. Brian had her place the baby on the podium and pull the shirt up to his neck. Susan climbed onto the baby's bare chest right over his heart. Only 12, Susan could feel what was wrong. The young heart beating faster than it should be. Shallow breathing, pale skin, lethargic eyes. His heart couldn't move oxygen rich blood through his body well enough for its needs. Brian knew enough medicine that such a condition would eventually prove fatal. Susan placed her hands on his skin and concentrated. Her eye glowed as her magic mended, expanded, and corrected the valve.

 

The baby took a deeper breath, coughed, and cried. A healthy sound with a healthy color to match. "God is in his heaven. All's right with the world" Susan said. The congregation cheered and praised God. And later that night, Brian sat quietly in his office with Mary, Teagan, and a sleepy Susan. "That's it. Done" Brian said sighing. "This was a dangerous game you played with my daughter" Teagan said. Brian cocked an eyebrow hearing the my daughter part. "You saw yourself the insurance would only cover a third. No church means no winter home and no job for me. A risky choice for a bad situation" Brian said. "Shocking we weren't exposed" Mary said with Susan in her lap. "The outsiders think I'm just another hustler preacher. Seeing we got that new roof kinda but an emphasis on that. But it's over. Done and done. Thank God. Look at her" Brian said seeing his tiny daughter exhausted. "Kid must've been really sick" Teagan said. "We already knew the sicker the more energy she needs to heal them. She saved his life. I'm so proud of you munchkin" Brian said rubbing her head. Susan weakly smiled.  Brian was smiling until he coughed really bad.

 

He covered his mouth and when done looked at his palm. "What's wrong?" Teagan asked. "Nothing little buddy" he replied. "There's blood on your lips. Show your hand" Teagan said. Brian did so reluctantly. "Jesus Tim" Mary gasped. "I...I was diagnosed with throat cancer three months ago. I was going to tell you later" he said. "How bad?" Mary asked. "...bad pretty lady. I made some provisions when I'm gone. Relocating you..."

 

"Stop" Mary said shaking her head. Susan looked to see her mom crying. "Don't cry. I had a decent life. These last 12 years made it worthwhile" Brian said. "No. Not accepting it" Teagan muttered. "Sorry buddy but the doc confirmed it" he said. "NO! I won't lose you human! I won't lose the only human I could call family. I won't...Tim I could've been better to you. All those times I argued. Blew you off. I'm sorry man...I love you" the man said looking at the giant. Brian picked him up and kissed him. "Teagan. That's what family does. They fight and argue but they always love one another. Don't beat yourself up about it" Brian said. "Susan!" Mary yelled as she broke away from her. She raced up Brian's arm to his throat and latched on. "Susan! Susan don't!" Brian yelled. Too late. He could feel the throb of magic curing him...at a cost. Susan fell from his throat and he barely caught her before she hit the carpet.

 

"Oh my god. She was already weak from earlier" he said placing her on the desk. "She's breathing but barely" Teagan said checking her. Mary trembled holding her hand. "Enough's enough. We tip toed around this too long" Brian said pulling one of the spells Joseph left for them. "Tim. We have no idea what could happen" Teagan said. "That power is killing her and she's too good hearted not to use it. Mary, you see it too don't you?" Brian asked. Mary solemnly nodded. Brian placed the spell paper on the desk and put Susan in the middle. "Is something...whoa shit!" Teagan yelled as the spell activated. Her body rose inches into the air as a bubble of light enveloped her. And as soon as it appeared, it left. "That's it? Did it work?" Brian asked. Nobody could answer.

 

For three days, Susan slept. Brian had not. "You need to sleep" Mary said sitting on his desk. Brian had his chin down on the desk looking at Susan. "She looks like you so much. She even has your feet" he said looking at her tiny soles. His finger touched them. He watched her toes curl around his fingernail. "That's a good sign right?" he asked Mary. His bloodshot eyes terrified. "Yes it is Tim" she replied. He bent close to smell her. Lavender soap and clean clothing. He kissed her gently over and over. "Daddy's sorry. Daddy's so sorry" he sobbed. His falling tears stirred the preteen borrower to awaken. She screamed seeing the giant so close. "It's okay honey. It's just Brian" Mary said. "Brian? Who’s..." she said holding her head. "You remember him right?" she asked. Susan shook her head.

 

Over the next few days it became clear that the spell did have adverse side effects. It had sealed her magic like it supposed to, but it had sealed away memories too. Susan remembered who her mother and father was and a few things about Brian but nothing else. Not her home, her childhood, her magic, or that Brian was more than just a family friend. If one could guess, she had lost over 75% of her memories. "She'll remember Brian" Teagan said. "Nope. This is my punishment for using her to earn money" he said drunk. "Which you did with good intentions" Mary interjected. "The road to hell is paved with them Mary. Please...just leave me alone" he said.

 

Over the next month, Brian had interacted with them less and less and then one day the worst thing that could happen excusing death occurred. "Sister Jones. Little late for worship" he said one late Sunday night as he was heading out the door. "I came for help Father. I have ovarian cancer" she said. "I'm sorry to hear that. Well we can pray for a recovery of course" he said. "No, I need to be healed" she said. "Sister Jones...Kimberly...the lord has seen that my time to heal has come and gone. He blessed me just as long as it took to help the church" he replied. "So you refuse?" she asked. He shrugged. "I'm dying! I've seen you heal people with limps and aches! My suffering is worse!" she said grabbing his hand and placing on her head. "Sister Joes please! I'm sorry but I can't give what you're asking!" he yelled. "As god as my witness you'll be sorry" she hissed.

 

Brian showed up at the church Monday afternoon and saw an exterminator van driving in the opposite direction. "I didn't call them" he muttered getting out of the impala. Brian entered the church and saw a deaconess there visibly disturbed. "Janet? What's going on here?" he asked. "Sister Jones called exterminators saying borrowers are a health hazard. I tried to stop her!" she yelled. And at the door behind him was none other than Sister Jones smiling. "Told you you'd be sorry" she said. Brian lunged at her grabbing her by the collar. "Brian no! Not in god's house!" Janet yelled pulling him off. "They're borrowers! Fucking vermin and you treat them like us!" Jones yelled.

 

"They have hopes and dreams! Were you not slaves in a foreign land?! Treat others as you would have them treat you! Those that show kindness live as I have lived! Remember that or have you forgotten these lessons the bible taught us?! Vermin!? THEY WERE MY FAMILY AND LOVED ME LIKE NO OTHER! I CAST YOU OUT KIMBERLY JONES! MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOU FOR I WON'T!" Brian screamed. The woman quickly ran out of the church. "Let go of me" Brian muttered to the deaconess as he went to the car. He sped down the road in a desperate attempt to find the exterminator van. When he got to the three forks intersection, he stopped. The van was nowhere in sight. Brian slumped over the steering wheel and sobbed.

 

He took the last gulp of wine and put the glass on the desk. "I spent months trying to track you down. The exterminator service had offices all over central Georgia, so I didn't even know where they came from. So now you know munchkin" Tim said to Susan. "We ended up in a pet shop in downtown Atlanta. We were only there two weeks. No wonder you didn't find us" Susan said. "A very kind woman bought Susan and took her to a sanctuary" Keith said to him. "Just Susan? What about Teagan and Mary?" he asked. "Dad was bought within a few days. Mom..." Susan stopped sniffling. Tim held his hand out and the woman crawled into it. "She didn't make it daddy" she muttered. Tim shed tears from the anger and pain he felt. "Ow! Jesus my head!" Susan yelled. She felt weak in his palm. "Memories...memories" she groaned. "Let me cancel bible study. We can all rest back at my home" Tim said.

 

"She can rest in there" Tim said pointing to a dollhouse in the living room. Keith took off her tiny shoes and helped her onto the bed. "Is she alright?" Keith asked. "I'm assuming that seal broke recently?" Tim asked. "Yeah" he replied. "Her old memories are returning. Mentally it's overwhelming but she'll adjust with some rest. I'll fix lunch" Tim said. Keith watched Susan sleep soundly in the doll bed while the man made sandwiches. "So are you her husband or what?" Tim asked. "Extremely good friend" Keith replied. "Do better than that. She clung to you too tightly for that" he said. "Our relationship is complicated" Keith said. "I haven't seen my daughter in nearly 10 years. Un-complicate it. I told you the truth. I'm due the same" Tim said. "Alright. Here's the deal" Keith said.

 

Two hours later...

 

"You're taking it extremely well" Keith said. "I already knew magic existed and of ZODIAC. I'm shocked my daughter is part of an organization that fights them though" he said. "She's the best. She's saved many lives through her service. Be proud of her" Keith said. "Oh, I already am. I'm surprised she has no kids though" Tim said. "She almost did by me. Miscarried" Keith said. "And, how is she?" Tim asked. "She's tight lipped about it. She did something she's not telling me" Keith said. "Abortion?" Tim asked. "No. I've been around her long enough to know that look of grief. She had plans for that kid. And now she's trying to adopt one she saved" he said. Tim nodded. "If you'll excuse me, I have to make a few calls" Keith said stepping outside. Tim sat quietly watching tv in the living room the rest of the day waiting for Susan to awaken.

 

"Following up on yesterday's story, a research hub for the CDC exploded yesterday. Local police have been removed from the investigation while the FBI begins its own. Witnesses claim to have seen workers screaming to be let out shortly before the blast. As of right now, nobody has been allowed entry..."

 

"And nobody will be. Too many questions" Susan said sitting up in bed. "Hey sleepyhead. Speaking of head..." Tim said. "Not so bad. Weird as shit having memories crammed in there. Still getting flashes of stuff though" she said. She twitched her back. "Daddy could you get a piece of napkin?" she asked. Tim got up and got one for her. He gave her it curious. She quickly took off her shirt and began squeezing her tits. "Oh dear" he said turning away. "Don't be embarrassed. Normally I'd just have someone I trust suck the milk out" she said. "Like Keith?" he asked. "He did this morning" she said. Tim glanced at her. "Sorry about your miscarriage" he said. "So, what else he tell you?" she asked softly. "Everything really. For someone not your spouse he knows a good deal about you" he replied. "He's special that's for sure" she said. "You don't have to steal glances daddy" she giggled.

 

"Hehe...you're just so pretty" he whispered. "Close your eyes for a moment" she said. Tim did and felt a tingling. His feet left the floor. "Okay open them" she said. As he did the faint glow in her eye vanished. "It's funny casting magic without arcane. Like opening a book, you already read before. "You shouldn't. It's dangerous" he said. He paused and quickly looked around. "You just noticed I shrank you?!" Susan burst out laughing. Tim was astounded at the hugeness of the living room now. "So, this is how you see the world?" he asked. "That's nothing compared to the outside. Sit down" she said patting her doll bed. Tim sat and gazed at her. "...please hug me" she muttered. Tim nearly tackled her holding her tightly. His body trembled as one of his wishes came true. "My little girl...my sweet little girl" he muttered rocking her back and forth. It took them a few minutes to calm down.

 

"Oops. Stained your shirt" she said seeing her milk on it. Tim took his shirt off. "This is really nice" she said looking around. "This was your parents. This bed here was your mom's. Right down to her favorite color. I kept it pristine all these years as a kind of memorial" he said. Susan clutched his hand. Tim took out a brush from the nightstand and began brushing her hair.

 

"You are like a carbon copy of your mom" he chuckled. "My hands?" she asked. Tim nodded. She took off her socks. "My feet?" she asked. "Yes, those cute feet are the same. Even your umm..." he said. "My titties?" she laughed. Tim blushed. "You really loved mom didn't you?" she asked. "If then was now I would've married her. Teagan was so jealous when she kept asking me to um...take care of her pregnancy needs" he said. "Some of the memories I got back I can tell you she cared about you very much" Susan said. Her stomach growled. "Somebody needs a sandwich" he chuckled. Susan unshrank him and waited patiently on the coffee table. He stared at her as she ate. "When you going home?" he asked. "Tomorrow" she replied. Tim looked sad. "Don't worry. We'll see each other again daddy" she said.

 

Tim sat on the floor telling her old stories as she laid in her bed. "And then she landed right in the middle of the cake" Tim laughed. He glanced at Susan who had fallen asleep again. Her right leg hanging over the edge of the bed. Tim gently kissed her bare foot before tucking it in. "Sweet dreams Suzie" he said leaving her.

 

Susan was extremely quiet the flight home. "You see him again" Keith said. "When he held me it felt like everything was finally right in my life" she said. "I understand how it feels to find a part of yourself that makes you feel...fuller I guess" Keith said. "I could smell his anxiety when I was hugging him goodbye. He was so scared" Susan muttered. "Of course. He lost you in a painful way Susan. Only natural he wanted you to stay. I feel that way now and then myself. Sometimes I just want to keep Hope to myself. Hold her in my hands and never share her with anyone.  But being a parent means knowing when to let your kids be free. Something you'll learn one day" he said. "Keith. I made a deal with Morrigan to save Ruby" she muttered. Keith stopped petting her. "That explains a few things" he said. Susan looked at the giant.

 

"That's it? No yelling? No what were you thinking?" she asked. "You made that decision because you were tired of losing people you love didn't you?" he asked. "But it was your baby!" she yelled exasperated. "Sometimes we get what we want and sometimes we get only what we need" he said softly. "There are times I really hate you Keith! That stupid, idiotic, kindness!" she yelled taking her little sneaker off and throwing it at him. It bounced harmlessly off his nose. "Why won't you be angry with me over this?" she asked pitifully. "Am I disappointed? Yeah, I guess so but I'm not going to beat you up about it. You're doing too good a job of it yourself" he said. He scooped her up on his hands. "You've made so much progress in the last month so stop trying to find reasons to put yourself down. God knows our lives aren't perfect. It's not our failures that define us. It's how we overcome them" he said. She leaned on her tip toes and kissed his lower lip for a few seconds.

 

"I really wanted to keep the baby. I swear I did" she cried. "I know baby. I know" he said petting her cheek. "Don't leave me. Don't leave me like Lily did" she begged. "Wasn't planning to" he chuckled. Susan nodded and began taking her clothing off. "Mile high club?" she asked. "...why not" he muttered. Keith licked and sucked on her till she twitched. She had a blissful smirk on her face as he jerked her up and down his shaft. And when it was all over, Susan slept naked in his hands peacefully.

 

That evening...

 

Susan entered her apartment tired but content. She found her father, told Keith a damning secret and he still stayed by her side. She thought for a moment she didn't deserve such happiness but pushed those thoughts away remembering his words. It was becoming harder to separate her feelings from fuck buddy to chosen mate. A problem for another day she thought. She kicked off her shoes and sat on her sofa. "Jesus you scared me!" Ruby said coming around the corner. "Hey red. You do your homework?" Susan asked. The girl nodded. Susan patted the seat for her to sit next to her. "So how did your mission go?" Ruby asked excited.  "Over a hundred innocent people died by my hand to save thousands. Some of those innocents were runaway kids shrunk by an experiment to give them powers. Kids not much older than you. Still want my job?" Susan asked. Ruby looked down. "I know we're butting heads..."

 

"And I'm sorry. It's just difficult for me. Someone around telling me to do things is new to me" Ruby said. The girl was shaking. "I felt lonely while you were gone. I don't want to go back to that life where I had nobody. Please don't send me away" Ruby begged crying. Susan was shocked by that. "Listen to me. I will NEVER send you away. Oh sweetie...that's what tomorrow is about. I'm adopting you" Susan said. The girl buried her head in her chest and bawled. She held her until she calmed down. "I'm being such a baby" Ruby said wiping her eyes. "My baby" Susan smiled. Ruby smiled and shifted her foot. "OWW!" she yelled. "My feet have been hurting all day" Ruby said. Susan placed her bare feet in her lap. "Slightly swollen. You're at the age for a growth spurt" she said before massaging her feet.

 

"God that feels better" Ruby sighed. "Gimme your toes honey" she said. Ruby lifted her foot and Susan began sucking her toes. She massaged her lower calf muscle and went to the next foot. Ruby laid back on the sofa breathing deeply. "Whole lot better right? The secret is circulation. Massaging and sucking on our feet stimulates blood flow" Susan explained. "Is that why it felt so good?" Ruby asked. "Well that and our feet are connected to our sexuality" Susan said snickering at the wet spot in Ruby's panties. The girl blushed deeply. Susan pulled her into her lap. "Don't be embarrassed. We're family starting tomorrow" she said. "Susan? You said you bright me back to life? How?" Ruby asked. Susan took a deep breath for that one.

 

"Ever hear of the deity called the Morrigan?" Susan asked. "An old folk tale told by humans" Ruby replied. "Well she's very real and for some people who are special, they can see and even talk to her" Susan said. "People like you?" she asked. Susan nodded. "What Bloom did to you really did kill you. And when the church was burning down and I held your body, I cried out for someone not to take you away. Morrigan answered my call and we made a bargain to give you back your life" Susan said. "What was it?" Ruby asked. Susan looked away until Ruby used her hand to turn her cheek. "Please tell me...mom" Ruby asked. Susan shed tears hearing her call her that. "Your life for my unborn child. Ruby it was my decision!" Susan yelled. Ruby looked horrified. "You gave up your baby...for me?" Ruby asked broken. "...you should’ve let me die" she said softly.

 

"NO! DON'T YOU EVER SAY THAT AGAIN! You were my life to save. Your potential, your future. You are my child to lay claim to!" Susan yelled holding her face still. Susan let go seeing she was scaring her. "There comes a time when we get tired of losing people we love. Some earlier than others. I stared the mistress of death in the face and told her I was tired of her taking loved ones away from me" Susan said. She leaned forward and kissed the girl. "I paid a high price but that only means I got what I paid for. Please honor that sentiment honey. It's all I have right now" Susan asked. Ruby nodded.

 

Susan laid in her bed looking at the festival lights through her window. Tomorrow was a big day for her. The day she would become a parent. She thought of hers. Mary, Teagan, and of course Tim. A mystery involving her life had been solved. But there was one question she asked herself sometimes she had not found the answer to. What happened to her father Teagan? The man she thought her real dad was sold off. His fate unknown. She really wanted to know now. She scryed for him before but never got a reading. The annoying thing was the pendulum would spin around meaning there was something, but the magic involved was way too weak to be of use. "Hope could help" she realized. The most powerful Mage of our time was right nearby. Susan decided to ask for her help. Something she would come to regret...