- Text Size +

*BOOM!*

    I closed my hand into a fist, annihilating the girl and the land of Tosa with her. I held my fingers shut for a moment, before I unclenched them. The prosperous island nation was no more, simply forming small stains on my palm. I tilted it slightly, allowing the filth to fall into the ocean below. A stream of earth, rock, and what little remains of the self proclaimed god ran off my hand. In a couple of seconds, my hand is unblemished once more.

    A sigh boomed from my lips in annoyance. The mortals of Tosa had once known their place, paying tribute to my master, Inari-no-Okami. But at some point, a girl had been born with greater size than normal. The human had let her power go to her head, presuming herself divine and turning her back on her god. Not only that, but the other mortals had not even put up a fight, abandoning the former religion and paying tribute to the false goddess. Such an act could not go unpunished, and so, I had been sent.

    In truth, I had been rather amused at the last thoughts of the girl, thinking that I was Inari. Such a ludicrous idea, really. I was but a mere one tailed kitsune, one of her weakest servants. But then, I suppose even we are utterly beyond any mortal. It was their misfortune that they disbelieved the stories.

    Honestly, it was probably a mercy for the mortals that I was sent. I was not so strong that the world was unable to handle my presence. I had killed most of them too quickly for them to comprehend what had even happened. And I had only punished those who lived in Tosa itself. Compared to what could have happened if another had been sent, I was a kindness.

    I shook my head, realizing that I was thinking too much. I had two duties here. My task had been to punish… and to demonstrate. I could not keep a grin from growing over my face. With a twist in reality, I disappeared from the face of the planet.

    And then I reappeared somewhere else, with a few differences. My eyes glanced around the black void surrounding me, before I crouched down on nothingness. It took me a moment to find what I was looking for. When I found it, I leaned forward to better see. The planet I had just been on. Or rather, the solar system that contained it.

    I looked down on it, noticing how small it was. It was close enough that if I blinked, the force and my eyelashes would obliterate it. I could barely see the distances between the star, the planets and their moons, and everything else. Two of my fingers were raised, putting the star system between them. If I moved either of them a single centimeter closer, they would collide with and destroy all of it.

    It was an amazing feeling, looking down like this. I was not even at my full power, and individual stars were little more than specks if I did not focus. Part of my mind wished to stay like this a little longer. I dismissed the thought, as I had a role to perform.

    My vision suddenly sharpened, beyond any normal ability. In an instant, I could see individual mortals on the sole inhabited world, and yet I could still notice all of the planets at once. With a thought, I gave a compulsion to the humans, to look to the skies above. A little concentration allowed me to enhance their eyes, letting them see me, all of me.

    From their perspective, directly above was an endless horizon of purple. Soon, they saw the rest. My beauty, my size, my inhuman features. I was as bright as a star, but possible to look at. Even those on the other side of the planet were able to witness me. Now, to get the message across.

    ‘I am a servant of Inari-no-Okami.’ I had not spoken. If I had, I would wipe away what I wished to preserve. Instead, I implanted the words in their minds, any whatever language they spoke.

‘Some of you were blessed by my master, but they turned their backs. For that, they were destroyed. Now, I am here to demonstrate her power. I ask that you worship her, and give tribute to her. You may decline, but if you agree, and then abandon the contract…’

The glow around me intensified, and images were forced into their minds. Visions of the punishments that would come to betrayers. In truth, while my master would like their worship, she would accept if they declined. Her anger was only roused when others refused to give what she was owed.

Slowly, I stood back up, moving away from the solar system. As to be expected, the humans were becoming rapid converts. A few of them, I blessed with knowledge on what was to be expected. Now, not just an island, but this entire world would give tribute. And if they abandoned her… then someone else would likely come, far more powerful and far less lenient than I.

But that was none of my business. My task had been completed. With a wave of my hand, I disappeared from the mortal realm, leaving them to whatever fate would come to them.