- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Skylar gets a little closer to Tim as she has time with him. What things will she come up with to do with Tim?

Skylar quietly sneaks off with the baby in the box and heads towards her room. But before she could reach her door handle, Lilly, comes into view and blocks her hand from the door handle.

“Where do you think you are going with Tim?” Complained Lilly.

“Uh, I was going to introduce him to my room and show him some cool things” Answered Skylar.

Lilly had become impatient with Skylar then. They have had it out for each other recently, always fighting and bickering with each other. More so Lilly than Skylar, but Skylar caught the bandwagon. Even before their father’s death, they seem to never get along. It really annoys the rest of the family who do not understand their beef. So far, it has calmed down since the passing, but it did not stop even at the funeral. Although, a couple of the other sisters are like this toward each other. But never at this length and scale.

“He is the first brother we have ever had in this family. And you think you can keep him for yourself?” Lilly looked annoyed more than disappointed. “We would like a turn with our new brother, too… New rule: since there are twenty of us… we all get thirty minutes alone with him. That is ten hours for all of us to get to know him… understand?”

Skylar responds. “First of all, you’re not the adult here Lilly, you don’t make the rules around here…

“Oh, yeah. Julia, Vicky, Melanie, Claire, you and Autumn get to make the rules because you’re so old.” Said Lilly, in an insulting way.

Skylar just rolls her eyes. “Second of all… fine… thirty minutes, starting now.”

Skylar reaches for her door handle and Lilly gets out of her way. She enters the door and shuts it on Lilly. Leaving her alone with Tim, her new Brother. She walks over to her bed and places the box onto her mattress and sits down on her bed. She moves into a criss-cross sitting pose and faces the box. She reaches for the box and opens the box since it was closed. Appeared a white cotton ball with a pale dot on the cotton ball. It wasn’t hard to miss but he matched the color of the shade of white almost.

I wonder what the color of his eyes would be? She thought. Would he have blue eyes? The majority of the family have blue eyes. Green eye? Three of the sisters have them and it was strange to see what was in our genes. Brown? It is the recessive trait in the family, yet the father had brown eyes. So, they are likely brown… I wonder what his hair color is, oh, so much we cannot do together… sad.

She stared at the brother for two minutes and decided to take him out. It wasn’t like she was told she couldn’t do so and she was never going to risk touching him with her fingers so, she reached out and pinched the cotton ball and lifted Tim up very, very slowly. She placed him between her hand her face and stared.

I wonder what it must be like for him? To see such a formidable being just towering over him. We are going to be his world, and he won’t come out of it for a second.

She moved her hand down toward the mattress and placed the cotton ball on the mattress. She moved her hand away and just looked at him, towering over him a lot more than before.

He may never know the difference of him and normality. I just hope technology can help us care for him… he will be difficult to care for, for sure.

She pulled out her phone and looked at the time; ten minutes had passed and she was just staring at the newborn.

“What can do with you?” She asked him. “Your so useless right now to be honest… I can’t even touch you yet.”

She couldn’t tell whether he was looking at her as much as she was looking at him. But she could see his head was at least in her direction. She looked up to see the formula she left on the nightstand. She got off of the bed, slowly, and went to the nightstand. She picked up the DIY feeder and brought herself back to Tim.

Skylar laid down on her bed to face Tim. She brought the bottle close to him and turned it upside down. She watched as the droplet of formula dripped to the tip of the Kleenex and slowly brought it closer to Tim. Crossing her fingers she doesn’t drown her brother, she hovers the droplet over his cotton ball and lowers it to him. The droplet came closer to his head and he looked at it from above.

The droplet itself was way bigger than his head, so she was frustrated with the technique she was attempting. Skylar brought it so close that she could almost touch it if his bone structure was fully developed. She hesitated in moving it closer, fearing it would burst onto him or fall onto him. She was watching from a side angle and saw as he was opening his mouth for the milk.

How does he already know to do that? She pondered. Babies don’t know how to eat when they are born so we usually use a bottle to force feed the baby. But he just knows what to do? Very odd, Tim.

She watched as he began to suck on the droplet. Surprised that he knew to do that, she watched as he slurped the big droplet. Then he stopped. She was shocked, he knew when to stop eating. He knew how to eat.

He is aware he is being fed, actively aware… is he developing way faster than we think? This is news!

The door from her roomed opened suddenly and came out Lilly.

“Why is he out of his box?” Lilly accused.

“Mother didn’t say we couldn’t,” Defended Skylar.

She tilts her head in a thinking pose. “I don’t remember her saying that either…” She paused for a couple seconds.

She then grabs the box, and then slowly picks up the cotton ball. “You and I are going to spend some quality time together aren’t we, Tim?”

“You mean under your feet?” Skylar said.

“He has to get to know them someday, why not today?” She said, smiling at Tiny Tim.

Lilly was about to leave with Tim when Skylar interrupted her stroll.

“What? He’s mine now.” She said, protectively, holding time closer to her chest than before.

“He’s aware, Lilly.” Lilly looks at her dumbfounded, “I just feed him and he was sucking on the droplet from the formula.”

“Skylar. Physics in his world doesn’t function as it does to us. Water tension at his scale is very high.” Skylar looked at her with bewilderment.

“No, he was actively sucking on the milk… he had his mouth agape before I force fed him. He knew what to do when to do it, and how to do it.” Lilly just looked at her in disbelief. “He was self-aware and he stopped eating and wouldn’t continue because he knew when to stop…”

“Skylar. Again… he’s just a baby, he hasn’t got cognitive function yet, and he would be talking and walking by then.” She began to walk out of the room.

“But, I think he’s dev…” Skylar was saying.

“Bye, Skylar, say bye, Tim.” She walked out before Skylar could finish her sentence. Skylar stood there in defeat and impatience.


 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Tim... self-aware already and developing faster than thought. What will happen next?