- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thought I'd create a variant of this story that goes in different directions. I can't promise frequent updates, as I'm quite busy, but I'll drop what I can whenever. Enjoy.

An alternate timeline. Indulge me, if you will. 

I enjoyed these characters and would’ve liked to see how they might interact had the scenario been rather different. And so, for the purposes of this timeline, let us dispense with notions of grand schemes and conspiracies. Dr. Carter doesn’t have some hidden agenda, though she may still be a deeply disturbed woman.  Gone is Heather’s mysterious background; replaced with a more normal one. Gone too are growing and shrinking pills. Size modifications in this timeline are, as we shall see, less confined. Giant growth may or may not alter one’s intelligence, but it won’t result in ascent to godhood, as it did in some of the endings. 

EDIT: I'm a hack writer and I break my promises so don't believe anything I say.

Both Heather and her former lover, Jason, have been selected as the only two candidates for AllTec’s growth experiments. They were ideal matches. Heather, because despite her outward sweetness, inwardly possessed a deep, pathological sense of justice. The military saw great use for this. Jason, because of his similar inclinations and his military background, was also chosen. He was not, however, a former interrogator, at least not of shrunken subjects. In this timeline, growth science is brand new, and it’s about to make its big debut. Needless to say, Ben was not chosen for anything, but to be a bystander, innocent or otherwise.

Thus, we begin our story. Again. 

~~~

Alone in his apartment, Ben chewed pensively at his thumbnail. In a flash of self-awareness, he pulled his nail back and examined it. Fuck. He hated this new habit, and found himself constantly struggling against it. It had only manifested in the past week, triggered by his growing sense of isolation.

Heather had been gone for a month, completely incommunicado. Somewhere, he knew not where, Heather was undergoing whatever growth experiments she had been selected for. Her biochemistry was being permanently altered, but Ben didn’t know what that actually meant. He made frequent inquiries at work about her, but nobody gave him any answers. Ben didn’t even know when he would see his girlfriend next, or what she might even look like.

Making matters worse, whatever exhilarating experience she was undergoing would be a shared one. Not by Ben, but by another man. Jason. Her ex. Of all the people in the world, Jason was the one chosen. In the past several years, Heather and Jason had been quite distant from one another. Their breakup wasn’t a clean one, and Ben was content to watch Jason drift further and further out of the picture. Now the lummox is back, and bigger than ever. Fuck. Ben chewed his nail again.

His cellphone buzzed on a nearby coffee table. It was a text from AJ.

“are you watching” she wrote.

Ben shook his head irritably. “watching what” he replied.

“the news fucker”

Ben sighed. Whatever it was would be bad, he knew. He flipped on the news.

“Recent enemy engagements have brought about military and civilian casualties on levels unseen since the Vietnam War,” a decorated general on the TV boomed into a microphone, “The sacrifices our men and women have made overseas shall not be forgotten, and shall not be in vain. Nor will there be a need for continued sacrifices. We now have it in our means to end this conflict, immediately, and permanently. We have made a new type of soldier. One that cannot be defeated, by any means.”

Ben looked over the general’s shoulders, and suddenly found himself kneeling in front of the TV, unable to look away. It was Heather and Jason. They were normal sized, but Ben knew. He knew fully what would happen next. He pawed pathetically at Heather’s image, his hand shaking with adrenaline. Heather and Jason were dressed casually, with the emblem of the American flag shown brightly on both their shirts. Ben surmised that some military PR person figured casual wear instead of military fatigues would make them less threatening to the home audience. But Ben already felt threatened.

“We urge the enemy to surrender, or face the full force of America’s newest titans,” the general concluded his remarks. He turned around to wave at Heather and Jason, signaling for them to do their part. They saluted him, and proceeded to walk past him. 

The feed cut to a second camera, much further out, revealing that the speech was delivered in a football field. Many of the stadium seats were occupied, either by military personnel, or politicians, Ben guessed by their suits. He watched as Heather and Jason walked across the stadium, each stopping at opposing 30-yard lines. They gave themselves plenty of space. Ben knew why.

“Ladies and gentlemen, it has taken decades of research and years of fielding candidates,” the general began again. “Before you stands the culmination of those efforts. With the power bestowed upon these two patriots, we will end war forever. Thanks to these two, we will live in a new era, for the first time ever, free of violence. Soldiers, show them what you’re made of.”

And then it happened. Heather and Jason grew, on command. Ben’s eyes were wide with amazement. The audience gasped with disbelief. There was no machinery at work that Ben could detect. They didn’t seem to have any external influence. They just grew, and indeed continued to grow, as they desired. Even their clothing grew, somehow. Their shadows were cast long over the crowd as the two towered at 80 feet tall. There was a near panic in the crowd, but nobody moved. They were breathless, waiting for what would happen next.

“How big they can grow is classified,” the general resumed. “But this much I can disclose. They are utterly invincible. At any size. No enemy can defeat them. And no enemy would dare face them. They will be the preeminent defenders of our values, at home and overseas. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Heather and Jason.”

Heather waved one massive friendly hand at the camera, while Jason grinned and flexed, striking a victorious pose. The crowd went wild with cheer.

The rest of the day pundits bickered in all the predictable ways about how this is either the greatest or the worst day in human history. The military wouldn’t answer any questions about whether more colossal soldiers were planned. Pseudo-philosophers speculated about what this much power might do to someone. A female reporter committed a gaffe on live television by wondering how big Jason’s... She stopped herself, and everyone at the station had a good laugh. On another station, a male reporter said about Heather that he certainly wouldn’t want to piss her off, and within 24 hours he was fired for sexism. 

Ben left the television on mute, but was unable to look away. He sat in silence for over an hour, as the networks continually replayed clips of the two giants in the football field. There may as well have been nothing else that happened for the entire day, because Heather and Jason were the only story on every network. 

He stared at their giant figures, over and over and over again, with bewilderment. Heather, her gorgeous smile, flashing teeth large enough to gnash scores of little people. Her gigantic green eyes seemed to stare right through the television and directly at Ben. Her colossal breasts became the instant fixation of the thousands of pornographic renderings of her that were already flooding the internet. The internet was going wild about Jason too. His massive, sculpted body radiated power and sexuality. A million horny teenagers were furiously drawing the two giants in a million explicit scenarios. Within an hour of their debut, they were the pop-culture icons of the entire web-browsing world. 

The clip of giant Jason flexing played again, while excerpts of the general’s speech were captioned below. “No enemy can defeat them. No enemy would dare face them.” Ben was the enemy now, he thought. He scowled.

Two hours went by. Ben’s phone buzzed again. It was Heather.

“Heather!” Ben gasped into the phone.

“My love! Ohhhhh I’m so sorry! I wish I could’ve told you sooner!” she cooed. “Did you see? Please tell me you saw!”

“Y-yeah! You were great, really. Very um.. Big,” Ben said awkwardly. There was just too much to process.

“Listen! I can’t talk long, they’ve got us going to some press tour thing!” Her voice was filled with exuberance. She was, quite literally, on top of the world. “But I’ll be home soon! Two more weeks! I love you!” She hung up before he could respond.

It was the longest two weeks of Ben’s life. Each day, Heather and Jason displayed their new power in different major cities across the country. They were often together, but sometimes they performed in separate cities. Being alone gave them the space to grow even larger, to show audiences a glimpse of their true potentials. Hundreds of feet in the air, their towering forms were visible for miles in every direction.

At one event, Heather blew a kiss to the crowd, receiving a rave, gushing response from the tiny people below. This impromptu gesture became tradition at all the subsequent events. Sometimes she would lower her hand to the crowd, and let a few daring people climb on. She held them carefully, gently aloft, smiling down at them with the warmth of Aphrodite herself. People utterly loved her.

Not to be outmatched, a god-sized Jason, eclipsing a stadium in Denver, took his shirt off, exposing his chiseled body to the crowd below. The women in the crowd went completely mad with desire. But military public relations deemed this as over the line, and he didn’t do it again.

Heather tried her best to call Ben every day, but they could never talk for long. She was always being rushed to the next stop on their press tour. Finally, the tour came to its final stop, with Heather and Jason standing tall in Washington DC, a stunning fireworks display erupting behind them. But nobody was watching the fireworks. All eyes were on them. They waved at the crowds far below. Jason took Heather’s left hand into his right, and they clasped tightly. Heather looked up at Jason, who retained the height advantage of his normal size. He returned her gaze. They both beamed at each other with triumph, and for a brief moment, desire.