- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This Story takes place in a fantasy setting.

Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

 

It was late and the sun would be setting soon. Maybe two more hours of daylight and it would be dark. She was standing by a creek and looking at the countryside that was laying before her. Green and juicy hills, the outer rim of a large forest where her village was and the mountains in the distance. Looking down to her feet she giggled by the sight of the earth that was oozing up between her long toes while her feet sunk into it. She enjoyed all those small things like the warmth of sunbeams on her skin, the smell of rain and the squishy feeling of grass and earth beneath her feet. She continued her stroll towards the forest because she wanted to be back home before nightfall. Daydreaming she enjoyed the mild west wind on her almost naked body. She loved wearing nothing but her loincloth and her breast holder during the warm seasons... anyway, it was not that she had much of a choice since it was the only cloth she owned besides her winter fur coat. Thinking about food because she started to feel hungry she suddenly realized a column of thick, black smoke raising up to the sky where her village was located. Something awful must have happened she thought while she started to run home.


Thick branches and even the logs of fallen trees burst under her thundering steps and the animals of the forest jumped out of her path and scurried in all directions. Under normal circumstances Deva would have been careful not to break or hurt anything but now the only thing that was occupying her mind was her village, her family and friends and what was going on. When she was almost there she was already able to smell the smoke and with her heart pounding in her chest and out of breath she broke through the last trees and was standing at what was left of her village. Houses and barns were on fire, bodies of people and farm animals were all over the place. No sign of life, they all were slaughtered, laying there in their blood. Her dark blue eyes were wide open in disbelief when she slowly placed one foot in front of the other thinking and hoping that this was all a bad joke or a nightmare and that this all would be over any minute and life would return to what it was before. Tears started to roll down her cheeks, and she was trembling while she was slowly walking through the paths between the houses. Blood and mutilated bodies everywhere. "Hello... hello... is there someone", she stuttered over and over again... "is someone still alive ?"


She reached the center of the Village where the house of her caretakers was. Balfor and Suja never had own children, but they had raised her with the love and patience all parents should raise their children with. She panicked when she saw the burning ruin of this house that used to be the home of the people she loved... her family. The smoke burnt strong in her eyes when she leaned over the debris and rubble. Within the ruins she found the bodies, burned beyond recognition, of Balfor and his wife. Both were hugging each other tightly and the fire had melded their bodies into one. Anger and rage were victorious over her sadness when she let out a ground shaking scream "Noooo !" Deva just stood there for a while which seemed like an eternity and recalled all the memories she had of them from the day she hatched till this morning when Balfor had sent her down to the creek. "I will avenge you, father and mother... I will avenge you. Whoever has done this to you will pay", she was mumbling to herself while she carefully placed one foot in front of the other because she was afraid to step on corpses, debris or anyone that might have survived.


As she arrived at the burning Armory, she realized that this must have been the center of the fight. Many armed villagers were scattered in the front yard, laying there cold and stiff in their own blood and also many other men all dressed in the same armor were amongst the dead. When Deva bent down to look at, who she thought of as the enemies bodies, she heard someone coughing and moaning in agony. It was Harald, the village´s blacksmith who was sitting on the cobblestone ground and leaning against the well. Harald was barely conscious since he was badly wounded. He had an awful wound on his right shoulder and was bleeding heavily. In his left side he had two arrows that went right through his plate armor and were stuck in his flesh. Yet he was breathing and coughing up blood. "Harald... Harald, what happened ?", Deva asked the wounded man.


It took a moment before he opened his eyes and Deva was able to spot the pain he was in by the look on his face. A thin line of blood was dripping down from his lips, and he coughed again. "They were looking for you, Deva. They were searching for you and they´re probably still somewhere near... run away, girl... go south or anywhere but north, because that´s where they came from." Deva got on her knees and leaned over the wounded man. Again tears started to roll out of her big blue eyes and slashed to the ground. "But who were they and why were they looking for me and why..." He coughed up more blood and the talking obviously took him a lot of strength "They´re Mercenaries who work for Kathami, the Queen of Tharkas. When we told them we were not giving you to them they started to kill everyone, Deva. I am so sorry my dear, there was nothing much we could do. They got us on surprise and by the time we got armed most of us were already dead. Your father fought like the brave man he was, Deva." His eyes closed for a moment then he opened them again. "Deva... you gotta leave the village for they´re probably come back to find you. They did this massacre for a reason... to lure you towards them. Go, Deva... go now and don´t come back. And... do an old man a favor." She carefully touched his hair with her fingertip and nodded "What do you want me to do, Harald ?" He looked her straight in the eyes and his voice was clear "Bring to an end what they haven´t finished... put my life to an end before you go." She was shocked by his wish and shook her head "Harald, I can´t do this... you´re my friend. I´ll get help somewhere and I will come back and then..." "Deva, I am dying... Death might come soon or it might take it´s time but no healer in the world will get me back together and if you leave me here like this the animals will come and feast on my flesh... I don´t want to die like this, girl. Show some mercy with an old friend and help me find some peace. I will meet my wife and kids and all my friends that got killed in the afterlife... now that is something good, something I´m looking forward to." She got back up on her feet again and stood over him. Tears of sorrow and anger rolled down her face and left shiny lines of liquid salt on her white skin. Her lips were trembling when she looked down at Harald who was holding his wounded shoulder with the other hand. "Give me a quick Death Deva, a merciful death... " he whispered and nodded. She looked around and thought of how she could kill the man without causing him much more pain, and she was also thinking if she could avoid his request somehow. "Just think of me as a bug, girl... a wounded bug that should be put out of it´s misery" he said as if he had read her mind. With his last strength Harald crawled away from the well he was leaning at and to a spot nearby that was free of dead bodies. He laid down on the cobblestones his arms on his chest. He looked at her and with a warm and thankful smile on his lips he closed his eyes, ready to leave this world.


Deva stood there and looked at Harald while she slowly started to walk towards him with her arms crossed on her chest and crying heavily about Haralds fate and her involvement. The moment that the ball of her foot hovered over Haralds broken body she closed her eyes and even more tears burst out. A crowd of Crows was already flying in circles above the village... watching and waiting to feast on the bodies. Everything inside her revolted against this. Deva didn´t want to do this... it was the opposite of everything that had been taught to her. All life had to be respected and treated with great caution... how could she do this and how would she ever be able to find forgiveness. She felt the Leather and the metal of his armor and the warmth of his skin as her majestic foot touched his tiny body. She was so big, and he, this strong and proud man, was so vulnerable... so small at this moment. With her mind fighting an inner battle she let it happen and sent Harald to his doom by descending under the ball of her foot. Slowly, because she was afraid to hurt him more than necessary, she brought down her whole weight on the foot Harald was under. There was some resistance for a second or two and then his body burst beneath her foot with a disgusting, crackling noise as if one breaks the shells of eggs in the fist. The tendons in her foot flexed and her toes fanned out to accept her weight. The Cobblestones on which Harald had laid down before sunk under her great weight and a few rays of blood exploded out from beneath her foot. She stood on Harald and didn´t dare to move. The only thing she felt was the warmth of his blood beneath the sole of her foot and the pain in her broken heart. She bent at her waist and looked down the length of her body to the foot she crushed the man under. Without ever looking at what remained of her friend the Giantess walked away and laid down near the ruin of her parents House. She needed to find the people who did this... she needed answers and someone had to pay for it. But at first she had to mourn and to bury the dead. By the time the Night came she had already cried herself to sleep.


Rahul was almost three days late when he arrived at Grywood or what was left of it. Balfor was one of his fathers friends and when he was a young boy it was Balfor who gave him his first lessons in sword fight. When the Owl that Balfor had sent him with a message to come to Grywood because he needed his help had arrived he knew that it must have been something big, something urgent. Now he was sure that whatever it was that this old family friend needed his help for was something big, because it looked like everyone in and around Grywood had paid for it with their lives. The houses were all burnt down, looking like huge black skeletons. Some beams were still hot and glowing white red. Bodies, some burnt others mauled down by arrows, hammers and blades were scattered all over the place. A massacre... this was truly a massacre and whatever Balfor had needed him to come here for must have been very important to whoever was responsible for this massacre. Scanning the streets, searching the bodies of the dead for clues he was getting closer to the center of the village where the battle must have been quite awful. The smell of decay was all around. Dead men, all armed, attackers and defenders were everywhere. Rahul walked up a small hill where a fire was still feasting on the remains of a big house that must have been an armory or something of importance. The yard was filled with bodies and debris. The smell of smoke and decay was so strong here that he had a hard time keeping his stomach from emptying itself. Obviously the attackers must have been Mercenaries since they weren´t wearing any emblems signing them to be troops but yet they were equipped too good to be brigands. Either they were just passing by Grywood and had decided to just plunder the village or someone must have sent them here, he was thinking while he carefully examined body after body, looking for clues. Hopefully Balfor was still alive, maybe save somewhere outside of the village he thought to himself when he noticed the corpse of a man that must have died a horrible dead.


They must have dropped a huge boulder or something really huge and heavy on the poor guy. He was squashed beyond recognition within his plate armor. Guts and blood and viscera were pressed through the openings and spaces in his armor and his flesh and bones were pressed flat and into the spaces between the cobblestones he laid on. Some hard cobblestones were even cracked by whatever was smashed on this unfortunate fellow. He picked up a burning piece of wood and used it as a torch, then walked down the other side of the hill and down the path toward the west of Grywood.


Something woke her up and she opened her eyes. For a moment she hoped that she´d just had a bad dream and everything was back to the way it was before. The smell of smoke and the crackling sound of fire eating wood reminded her that this was no nightmare. But there was another sound that caught her awareness... footsteps. They were coming from up the hill and down the path towards her position. As graceful as possible for her size she got up, took a step back between the trees of the forest and waited. Being at her full height she had a good view at the path from above and it didn´t take long until she discovered the silhouette of a man walking down the path He was holding a torch in one, a blade in the other hand. Anger crawled up inside her. This had to be one of them. He had to be one of the men who were responsible for this, and she would hurt him for it before she would kill him slowly. But at first she wanted answers.


Rahul almost tripped over the body of a dead man who must have been one of the attackers, according to the armor he was wearing. He got on his knees and searched the man carefully for clues. All he found was a porch filled with coins that he cut off from the belt it was tied to. Within a heartbeat everything around him turned into pure chaos. The trees nearby exploded, wood broke, and he was knocked over when something hit the ground with such force that it shook and trembled. He rolled over on his back and was about to get up when a huge shadow fell on him from above. He raised his arms just in time to hold against it, and he realized that he must have dropped his sword and also the torch when he fell down. His hands made contact with a warm and soft surface, and he tried to push back the beast that had ambushed him.


No chance. Whatever attacked him was of such great weight that it just pushed his arms back like they were nothing. Rahul realized that he had to act fast as it was just a matter of a second or two until he was either crushed beneath the beasts heavy body or it was about to open it´s jaws and bite off his face. He withdrew his right arm and reached for the sword that was laying nearby. His fingers just touched the steel as he was buried under the heaviest pile of flesh and bones one could imagine. It covered him entirely. Just his head and his right arm were sticking out from somewhere beneath the beast. His fingers just closed around the swords handle when the force his attacker was smothering him with was becoming breathtaking... literally. The air was pushed out from his lungs and his bones were about to break in the most unpleasant ways imaginable. Rahul was in pure panic as he was about to be crushed to death by a mountain of flesh. The image of the poor man in the yard that was nothing more than a flat sack of skin with bones crushed to tiny pieces inside it and his flesh and guts forced out of him, just squished to jelly in a puddle around him came to his mind, when he heard a female voice. "I can stand on you right now, little man, and break every bone inside your tiny body or I can listen to the answers you´ll give me and I might consider giving you a quicker and less painful death. It´s up to you", the voice whispered from somewhere high above. Rahul tried to give an answer but the pain he was in and the matter that he just wasn´t able to breathe made the attempt impossible. A moment later a huge amount of the weight that pinned him to the ground was taken off him and the horrible pain of his bones that felt as if they were about to break any second was gone. He gasped for air and inhaled as deeply and greedily as he could. Whatever she had buried him under was still on him and pinning him firmly to the floor but the immense pressure was more bearable. "We´ll talk but you have to let me out from..." he didn´t get to finish what he was going to ask for. Immediately the weight started to become a threat to his life again, and she answered "I don´t have to do anything besides smear you across the path if you don´t do what I say". Unable to speak he nodded his head, hoping she could see it from wherever she was speaking to him from. Again the pressure on his entire body was taken off a little. He was able to breathe but not to move. Rahul realized that now wasn´t a good time to demand anything. He had to play along this game and that would give him enough time to think and take an opportunity if one would show up. He tried to calm himself, and he tried to focus on his opponent. He was sweating as the animal she was riding on that was on him now was radiating a lot of heat. It smelled of salt and iron... the smell of sweat on human skin. Slowly his eyes started to get used to the little light that came from the torch that had fallen to the ground somewhere out of his sight, and he tried to see what he´d become a victim to. Unfortunately his attacker wanted to start a conversation he realized as she interrupted him "Why did you kill my people ?". Rahul had no idea which people exactly she was talking about. Was it the villagers of Grywood or did she belong to the Mercenaries ? He decided not to lie and wheezed "I did not kill anyone. I was asked to come here and help but obviously I was too late."


Deva was trying to figure out if the man she had pinned beneath her right foot was speaking the truth or if he just tried to talk himself out of this unpleasant situation. She felt him wiggling under the ball of her foot and looked down at him. He seemed to be in quite some pain. His head was sticking out between her big and her second toe while the rest of his body was covered by the ball of her foot. His face was beet red and the wild frenzied look in his eyes told her that he was in total panic. "Who asked you for help ? Who asked you to come to Grywood ?" she asked him with a sinister undertone in her voice just to give him an understanding that it´d be better for him to tell her the truth. "B-Balfor... the man´s name is Balfor... he´s an old fam..." he tried to say but Deva was so surprised to hear him say her fathers name that she totally forgot about his vulnerability as she leaned forward and put a lot more weight on the foot he was under. His words were cut off in a heartbeat and became a gurgle as his face turned from red to blue and his opened wide, ready to pop out of their sockets. Shocked about her clumsiness she took her foot off him and almost tripped as she made a step backwards and felt something squish with a wet crunch beneath her heel as she put all of her weight on it.


It was the body of one of the attackers, the body of the man this guy examined before her ambush on him. Her bare heel was just big enough that it had covered the dead man completely and turned him into a slimy mush of blood, viscera, broken bones and squashed flesh. It was a disgusting sight, but she was fascinated somehow what a simple move of her could accomplish. The guy that she needed answers from was lying there where she had trapped him before, and he was struggling to breathe. He was still alive but probably badly wounded she thought, as she noticed blood dripping out of his nose and eyes. She let herself fall on her knees right in front of the man, and she saw the terror on his face as she did this. She would have to get used to people reacting on her like this is what she thought to herself when she leaned over him and lowered her face as close as possible to the small human.


Within the blink of an eye the immense weight that pinned him down was becoming a mountain. A mountain that would break every bone inside him to dust and squish his flesh to liquid. Rahul wasn´t ready for it, but he accepted this fate as there was nothing else he could have done. As fast as the terror of being crushed to death and the pain came it released him once again and all he was thinking of was if he was still alive or if that was already the afterlife, and he was dead. Then he felt the pain in his limbs that were twisted and about to be torn out of their places, his muscles were aching and at least three of his ribs must have been broken. He tasted blood... his blood. A shock wave rocked the ground he was laying on, and he squinted his eyes in the acceptance that he´d finally die now. The deadly strike did not come, and he slowly opened his eyes again. He looked in the concerned eyes of a young woman. A beautiful but gigantic face of a woman. Looking down the length of his body he noticed that the gigantic face belonged to gigantic female body and that he was laying between her knees. "I am Deva, stranger. I am sorry and I hope I didn´t hurt you too bad. I am Balfor´s daughter" she whispered. All Rahul could do was stare at her in disbelieve. He looked around to see if there was someone or something else when it finally dawned on him. She had attacked him. It was she who had almost killed him. There was no huge wild beast under the control of an evil witch. It was this beautiful young giantess who had almost crushed him to mash beneath her foot. Rahul found himself humiliated, hurt and angry at the same time. He was not a warrior, but he was battle proof, and he had kicked the one and the other ass in the battle pits of Pesquot. He had also lost some fights and got his own asked kicked but never had he been so delivered to a woman. "Rahul... I am Rahul from Pesquot, and I am a friend of Balfor" he told her as his mind slowly started to focus on the situation. He sat up and felt a sharp pain in his chest. He had broken some ribs... or better said, she had broken some of his ribs he thought as his eyes rolled back, and he passed out. Rahul was already unconscious and didn´t notice anymore how Deva´s Hand reached out for him to catch his fall. He landed softly in the palm of her hand and even though she was thirsty for answers she decided to let him rest as long as he had to.


The sound of distant thunder woke him up and brought him back into a world of pain. Every limb, every muscle and every bone in his body was aching, and he had the worst headache of his life. Rahul opened his eyes and the headache immediately became worse because of the daylight. He rolled on his left side and was welcomed by another sharp pain in his chest which made him remember the chaos that he found himself in last night. He was laying in a camp, much more a nest, made of twigs, branches and leafs. A majestic bare foot came down just ten feet from where he was laying and left a huge footprint, at least ten inches deep in the wet soil when it was lifted up again. He turned his head and looked up to see the gigantic frame of this huge woman that had just passed him by. She was no giant. Rahul had seen giants before and he even knew one. Giants were huge but compared to the size of her even the tallest giant would look like an infant. Anhrag must be like almost thirty feet tall, Rahul was thinking to himself while he slowly got up on his feet and walked toward the footprint she had left in the earth. He inspected it very carefully and walked around it when he came to the conclusion that Anhrag, the giant he knew, was maybe just a little longer than her foot, which made her foot like four times his own length. He turned to the direction she had walked to and noticed her on her knees piling up small hill of dirt. She had her back turned towards him and her round buttocks, each the size of a building, were resting on her heels. As he approached her she said "I am glad you´re awake, Rahul from Pesquot". He walked closer to her his mind still trying to find an answer to what she was and without saying anything back he stepped beside her right foot. Since she was on her toes and resting on her knees her soles were stretched out. He stood beneath the sole of her foot, touched it and through the mud on her skin he could feel the warmth of her body. Higher above him where here heels and her large buttocks hovering above him. Indeed, she was flesh and blood. "What are you ?" he asked her while his eyes examined every inch of her. She looked over her shoulder and down at him "I am Deva. Daughter of Balfor and Suja. A child of Grywood" she paused for a moment before she continued with a voice so sad that it tore Rahul out of the inspection of her "And I am the last one alive... I am alone now." Rahul walked around her and up the hill of earth that she had piled up. "I buried the dead" she told him while he was standing on the edge of a mass grave that just recently had been covered by the fresh soil of the forest.


Rahul was thinking to himself, and he fought an inner battle. By his heart he felt that he should, if possible in any way, help this young woman. She was alone and probably somehow in trouble. Or she would get herself in trouble somehow soon. He looked up the length of her body. Her smooth, white skin was stained with dirt all over the place. Even the loincloth and the shaggy breast holder she was wearing were torn and dirty. Her long black hair, which under other circumstances must have been a proud mane falling over her shoulders almost down to her waist, was now a rain soaked mess. Within her deep blue eyes, those beautiful and warm eyes, was such sadness that he had to swallow down. His head kept telling him to go back to Pesquot and go on with his life. Balfor was dead and whatever he needed Rahul´s help for was something that died with him... or did it not ? It was because of her that Balfor had asked for his help. Deva was the reason he had come here. He looked at the grave again and spoke to Deva "You´re not alone. I am here and I will help you... I don´t know how or where to start with but I will find out".


She looked down straight into his eyes and on her sad face he was able to read gratitude, relief and hope. He nodded his head to put even more weight in his words and touched her hand with his.

End of Chapter I

Chapter End Notes:

Please leave a comment if you like the story