- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

If you beat around the bush whatever you're gettin' at gets a headstart on you.

Malon of Lon Lon Ranch 

At what you can call a homestead a couple is up at the crack of dawn.  Actually a little before since dressing for work is a slightly new thing for one of them.  By slightly new one could say not going to happen but his companion is insistent.

"What's wrong with what I have on?"  Link asks for the third time.  "You can't expect me to wear that."  He gestures at the hanger in his friend's hand.  "No way."

"I done tol' you more than once it gets dirty too fast and jus' ain't suited for work round here."  Malon explains, holding out his outfit towards him again.  "And I do expect you to put this on.  You ain't gettin' out of here otherwise."  She smiles and sets the outfit on the bed then stands in front of the door.

"You can't be serious!"  He sounds incredulous.

"You can try your luck, Fairy Boy."  She giggles.  "But I think I'm still a lil' stronger than you though."

"Come on, Malon!  Please?"

"Nothin' doin' darlin'.  If you're goin' to live round here and work you're doin' it right."

"When did you decide all this?"

"When I finally got around to goin' to see that tailor an' gettin' you measured.  I sure couldn't pitch a fit about proper work gear if I didn't have any for you now could I?"

"I'm not wearing that."  Link says adamantly.

"I had to wait two weeks for him to manage to dye ‘em red.  You're wearin' it if I have to dress you myself."

The undisputed conqueror of all that is vile looks ready to debate that idea but his boss shakes her head as soon as he opens his mouth.  Malon appears ready to back up her ultimatum despite her grinning the most innocent grin.  Link feels uncomfortable at the options presented and she can see it in his face.  That earns another giggle while he looks all the more indignant.

"I am not going to wear that; I'll look silly!"

"I didn't say you wouldn't.  I said it was goin' on you one way or another is what I said."

"No, it's not.  You think I'm joking?"

"Mmhmm may as well be."

"I don't want to and you can't make me!"  He cries, sounding like a spoiled child.

"Then give me your best shot sweetheart."  She says shutting the door and adding an impish sparkle to her smile.

Link says nothing to that.  With the click of the doorjamb his mind has already started turning and boss music has started to play.  He runs an automatic inventory and comes up with nothing.  Malon made him take his equipment off like she did every night since he'd moved here.  It is nearby but next to useless in the corner of their bedroom.  In nothing but his Goron Tunic and socks they're on even ground since she's in a nightgown and barefoot.  Moving from side to side he watches her shift her weight slightly with his movements like an attentive goalie waiting for the shot.  This would be yet another time the forest native misses the standard-issue fairy since she could surely give a hint on his ‘opponent's' weak point or at least a method of approach.  He's still trying to think of an easier way out of this when his concentration is broken by something.

Malon is looking at her underling with what can only be referred to as mounting glee.  The expression of thoughtful befuddlement on his face demands the invention of the camera so she can treasure it later.  Watching him shuffle about trying to feign her out is all but making her burst out laughing.  The mythological sentinel of unshakeable valor that stands guard over all that is good from the history books looks nervous trapped in a bedroom with a teenage girl.  She actually giggles at the thought and he is startled by the sound looking at her with a mannerism that flawlessly mimics that of a frightened doe formerly alone in a forest clearing.

"I don' have all day, Fairy Boy."  She taunts oh so sweetly.  "You can handle lil' old me can't you?"

That tears it.  He may be in love with the girl but she's pushing it.  Not only is he not scared of anything but she was getting that thing on him over his dead body.  He charges like an angry bull (like most people who charge tend to) and would be darned if he didn't get out of that door.  She's smiling a smile that would be in the dictionary under cute with a full color illustration the entire time.  He's thinking only of how she'd better get out of the way but she does no such thing.  Instead she steps forward brazenly and kicks a leg out to him.  He takes a light hit to one of his thighs from her foot losing momentum and stumbling into her awkwardly as she spreads her arms apart.  He loses traction due to his socks as he feels her arms circle around him.  He's confused for an instant as she catches him and holds him up from falling but then her hands link behind him and her arms constrict about him a bit tighter and he's lifted off his feet and deposited on the bed several paces back atop what is going to be his new attire soon.  Malon is still on top of him keeping him immobile in her bear hug much to Link's annoyance.

"You're goin' to have to do one better than that or I'ma have you lookin' like a farmer in no time flat."  The strawberry haired one giggles yet again, which sets her prisoner to struggling futilely.  "Oh, quit it.  I got you already.  Stop wrinklin' it."

"Just let me up."  Link sounds cranky.  "You win."

"Aww...you're a spoiled sport."  She lets him loose and stands up, backing away to let him up.  "You're goin' to look positively handsome but I wanted to have-"  

She stops short as he springs out of the bed and lands on the floor in a three-point stand and darts off like a marathon runner from the starting call.  As he flashes past her he feels petite yet callused and firm hands encircle one of his own and ends up unable to egress being guided into a corner since she wasn't moving.  While he's righting himself she bolts back to her post in front of the door.

"Nice trick sugar but you'll have to get up pretty early to pull one over on this lil' redhead."

"The sun isn't even up yet."  Link says pointedly.

"I guess that still ain't early enough, babe."  She's got that fiendish smile again.  "As I recall there's still only one way out and I wonder what you're gonna do."

"Whatever it takes to get out of here."  Link replies, looking around.  "And look what I have!"  Someone is next to a familiar gadget bag and starts rifling through it.  "One way out hmm?"  Now he's grinning with that disturbing glee.

"If you make another way outta this room you're gonna be fixin' it an' I'ma take after you like-"

"Too early for you to take a joke?"  Link chuckles, putting an unlit explosive back in the sack.  "It's too bad cause two can play at that game."

"Just put the thing on.  I promise I won't say a thing."

"I promise I'll be kicking and screaming."

"Fine, have it your way.  But if I have to do it you're wearin' the hat too and I may laugh a little bit."

Link gulps as the thought is sobering one but sets his mind to get out.  Matching his grim demeanor to her game one he makes his move.  He bounds off the wall and goes for some zigzag footwork.  Malon tries to keep up but he slips her attempt at that and is barreling toward the goal nearly horizontal like a player sliding for home plate.  Out of nowhere she's in his path having made a slick move of her own and they collide.  She catches him clumsily with a little yelp and there is a brief tussle, which Link is the loser of.  Pinned to the ground at his girlfriend's mercy he's wordless.  They're both breathing hard but he's dealing with consequences while she's grinning fit to unhinge her face.

"I don' wanna tucker you out before work, you give up?"  Malon asks with a smile that puts the Light arrow to shame.  "I'll give you another go if you want."

"No, I surrender."  Link deadpans.  

"Someone should've eaten their vegetables."  She taunts in a singsong voice.

"Do it and get it over with."  He says grimly, as though condemned to be executed.

So she did as requested.  She dressed him in common farmer's wear.  He lied a little and didn't keep his promise to kick and scream.  He just sat there as she finished and pinched his cheek checking out her handiwork.  And she fibbed a bit herself.  She said she'd laugh a little but that turned into more than five minutes that could not help but be wasted.  They got started a bit later than planned that's for sure.  Before all that though she had a few words that would add to his discomfort, as though it wasn't bad enough.

"Oh did I mention I saw Impa when I picked that up?"  Malon asks.

"No."  Link sounds less than happy.  "Oh joy."

"Don't be cranky.  But anyway I thought it would be nice to stop by and see those two so when she asked I tol' her she'd see me around noon tomorrow."

"So you're leaving me here?"

"No, silly!  You're coming with me."

"..."

"That's today."

Link doesn't say anything.  He's too busy processing how he's going to feel walking through Hyrule Castletown dressed like a hillbilly.  He's ashamed as it is and can't hear what all doting mushy things she's saying.  Just bits and pieces filter through about how cute he looks and how Zelda's going to love it and other stuff of the like.  Morning tasks fly by too fast and they're heading to the castle with the not so heroic looking hero still in a daze.

At the palace Zelda is sitting in the throne room getting somewhat impatient.  She's been waiting for her guest to arrive for a half hour now.  Impa is standing next to the mighty chair as always and stroking the agitated princess's shoulder reassuringly.

"Where is she, Impa?"  Zelda asks.  "You said she'd be here by now."

"Believe me she will."  Her retainer replies.  "Malon mentioned something about a surprise.  That may have taken her some time to prepare."

"Oh.  You could have said something."  She says wryly.

"I could have."

"You could've done what?"  Asks a familiar voice from across the great room.  "I know I'm bein' nosy but what?"

"Impa could've told me about your surprise."  The princess explains.  "Instead of let me think you were being late on purpose."

"She sure could've."  Malon agrees.  "Bad Impa!"  That gets a small smirk out of the shadow sage.  "I'm here so I suppose it's a bit late now."

"Well what is it?"  The lawgiver asks as they approach her throne.  "Your father, right?"

"Him?"  Malon asks, gesturing at her companion.  "He's my surprise, not my pa.  Say somethin' hon."

The red overalls-clad person doesn't say anything at first.  He straightens his posture and takes his thumbs out of his pockets.  As he looks up at the leader of the nation he remembers his side of the deal and gives the hayseed in his mouth an especially hard bite as he adjusts the straw hat to see her better.  "Howdy Zelda."  He says with a slow smile and the best country drawl he can muster.

"Isn't he just adorable?"  Malon gushes.  "There's a reason you dress a certain way on a farm an' since he's stayin' with me now and workin' he needs to dress the part don't you think?"

The sheikah chuckles.  "He cuts quite a figure in the jumper I must admit."

"It's just precious; someone paint me a picture!"  The scarlet-topped one says, pinching his face yet again.

"Ow, you can stop now."  Link mentions, rubbing his jaw.  "Unless you want to keep that cheek for yourself."

"Ooo, I jus' might."  She elates, pinching then kissing his cheek.  "But I'd want ‘em both."  She pinches and kisses his other side in turn for good measure.  "What do you think, Zelda?"

The avatar of wisdom has just spent most of this time picking her jaw up off of her lap.  "He looks so different."  She breathes.

"Doesn't he though?  I think he looks cute as a button in it."  The person in question bobs his head to avoid what could become a bruise on top of his blushing dimples.  "Just perfect."  She says, pressing the tip of his nose for emphasis.

Gone is the thin-lipped disappointed expression atop a set jaw line.  Instead the beginning of smile lines seem to be tracing their way over his cheeks.  The narrow-eyed calculating stare replaced with an open gaze paired with a smile often enough.  The garb of the Hero of Time along with his gear replaced with the simple denim and suspenders of a farmer.  With a dingy T-shirt chosen over trademark tights you truly wouldn't know the history-making Hylian if you saw him without a hint.

"The look does suit him in a way."  Impa admits.

"He's not what I remember..."  Zelda realizes.  "I...this..."

"You still with us, hon?"  Malon asks apprehensively.  "You got that ‘on my mind' look again.  You want to talk about it?"

"Oh.  Sorry..."  The royalty sighs as she looks at the color clueless couple that is Link and Malon dressed in red and green overalls respectively.  Seeing it for the reality that it has become as she watches her hero fade away before her very eyes is sobering.  "I was thinking, yes."

"Mind sharin' or should I can it?"

"Perhaps you should stop, Malon."   The princess's right hand suggests.  "She has a lot on her mind."

"He'll never come for me."  She ruminates.  "That person isn't the one in front of me."  The image of an infinitely tough swashbuckling champion sweeping her away grows ever fainter with each passing second.  A humble person no longer content to simply follow the path of heroism is before her and he has someone that accepts that and gives him a place to be accepted for it.  "It's alright, really Impa."  Zelda says aloud.  "I was just thinking the same thing.  It does look right on him and they make the cutest mismatched couple..."

"We aren't makin' a fashion statement; we work together!"  Malon chides.  "Some of us can't wear high style all the time.  I bought him that an' had to twist his arm to get him into it.  If we don't coordinate oh well."

"She really did twist my arm..."  Link mumbles.

"Shush, you know I'm havin' a ball cause you decided to wear that."

"Decided..."  He snorts.

"Thank you for lettin' me decide.  How about that?"  A noncommittal grunt is her reply.  "I won fair and square so there."

"I think he's upset you clash so badly."  Zelda kids.  "You did make him wear it."

"I never said he couldn't take it off.  He just made a bunch of faces about it.  Like now..."

Link appears to have gained a slight nervous tic in one eye and keeps trying to talk but no sound comes out and his teeth clack shut.  At a loss he pulls his straw hat over his face and groans.  "You..."

"Don' act so surprised.  I ain't made a habit of bein' bossy. Why else you think I love you to pieces for wearin' that?"  He doesn't reply, just mumbles into the hat on his head all wrong.  "Thank you honey."  She says, giving him another peck on the cheek.

"I thought it was because you forced him into looking silly with you wearing opposing colors in public."

"You never quit do you?"

"Never.  I just like watching you two go at it."

"Then you shoulda seen us this mornin'.  I beat him hands down.  He wasn't kiddin' when he said I twisted his arm, just exaggerating."

"I took it easy on you!"

"Sure you did, sweetheart."  Malon says sarcastically with that horizon caliber smile.  "Sure you did."

"I did!"

"Then that must mean you wanted to wear overalls after all!  Why else would you let me win?"

"Well..."  The two of them go back and forth for a good while.  Zelda watches and becomes contemplative again.

"It does still hurt...but I knew it would."  The holder of Nayru's blessing reflects.  "It's for the better though.  At first it felt like she was rubbing it in my face that she had him but I can see she's just glad to be with him.  They both look so happy together; it's as though it really is perfect."  She sighs inwardly and wistfully bears witness to a portrait of a deep wish crumbling ever quicker.  "And I did lie a little just now...I do quit if it really is something I can't achieve..."  With the two of them in front of her acting so carefree and content the fantasy shatters with cruel finality as she can feel herself accepting the truth.  "I hope to have something like that someday."  She thinks as the wisps of her untouchable champion's likeness vanish like the pipedream that they turned out to be.  "I truly do..."

Fin