- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The most ardent and believable lies are the ones we tell ourselves.

Impa of impenetrable shadow

At the castle Zelda is on a mission. In the castle library she's poring over the old spell books again trying to decipher the forerunner to current Hylian dialect. She's doing that but is having a hard time concentrating on the task. It's only around early afternoon but the day has already done quite a number on her both physically and mentally as well as emotionally. She's fatigued but not ready for a nap.

"There's so much I don't understand..." The princess mumbles, squinting over the ancient texts. "I can't read this and I'm not even sure I should. She keeps telling me she can handle it if she's got Link and they're attached at the hip either way regardless. She invited me to hang around but...doesn't she know how I feel? What she told me this morning was like a slap in the face! Not because it was a surprise because I saw it coming a mile off but she said it wasn't like that between them. So I took her word for it and got my hopes up just to watch my bubble burst. That really hurts. How could she do that to me? She had to know..." Zelda sighs and tries to make sense of how she's feeling and still doesn't come up with much on the logical side other than bewildered and agonized.

"Top it off with Ruto not reading between the lines and trying to knock off the competition, ugh! I've been through a rockslide and a standoff because of her and I am not even in this! That is between them!" She glares at the back of her hand at the Triforce of Wisdom. "I thought this thing was supposed to make everything make sense! Goddesses what did I do to deserve this?" She puts her head down on an old volume and begins to sob. She's doing this when Impa comes to check on her.

"Zelda, you've been down here for some time." The sheikah spies her crying. "What's the matter my child?" She asks, putting a hand on the young lady's shoulder.

The princess raises her head and Impa can see her red eyes and tear-streaked face. "My head hurts." She says, coughing and sniffing with her eyes still moist and irritated. "I don't feel so good..."

"Talk to me." Her attendant commands soothingly.

"I'm confused. None of this is coming together the right way. Thinking about it makes me want to tear out my hair..."

"Try to tell me. Just take it slowly if it isn't too much."

"I wanted to be friends with Link. Friends like he and Malon are friends."

"That's why you went to spend time with them. I understand that."

"I still do but..."

"What's wrong?"

Zelda is having trouble remaining poised and tranquil. She takes a few deep breaths before responding. "She told me that they weren't more than friends. I thought I had a chance to be something more with him..."

"What happened?"

"I don't know, I really don't." The royal heir sounds incredulous rather unexpectedly and her words start tumbling together. "I thought it was all going well. It really was. We all seemed to be such good friends. I decided to try to see if I could assist Malon with finding a cure for her condition. What a friend could do for a friend and..." She starts sobbing again and Impa sits on the floor next to her and pulls her close, trying to console her as best she can.

"It's okay. Really." Impa says softly. "Just breathe...and relax..."

"It's not okay!" The princess bursts out. "It fell apart!"

"Shh...calm down..."

"It crumbled to pieces in my hands..."

"Don't talk about it. Just be quiet if it hurts." Impa whispers.

"I was so close..."

"Shh..."

"I thought I had a chance..."

The shadow sage just holds her charge as she cries quietly. They spend a few minutes together in the underground library by candlelight while Zelda is pulling herself together. After a time it seems as though she's having some success. She stops crying long enough to catch her breath and tries to ground herself again.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

The acting queen nods. "I need you to help me make sense of it."

"Take your time."

"I tried a couple spells on her that I found down here. She kept telling me not to worry about it but I tried anyway. It's what friends do, right?"

Impa nods. "You were doing the right thing."

"They didn't work of course and she told me it didn't matter. Not as long as she had Link helping her."

"He'll support her no matter what. We've seen that."

"But that's where it fell apart. She just started talking about how much he meant to her and it all started to come undone..."

"Oh no..."

"...and I realized that Link and I may be friends now but they're something much more and that cuts so deep..."

"I'm so sorry."

"Don't be sorry; it's not your fault. I fooled myself into thinking that I could come between them even though I knew better. I...just didn't want to believe it. I wanted to hold onto the hope..." She whimpers softly.

"Don't blame yourself. You aren't wrong for feeling the way you do."

"I was wrong for pretending what was I saw right in front of my eyes wasn't happening..."

"The heart is blind my child."

"She loves him. Really and truly loves him. I'm a dolt to have tried to mess with something like that. I had no business..."

"That does not lessen your feelings for him or make them any less important. You can feel any way you like. Don't be guilty over it."

"But that isn't even all of it. Ruto was behind that rockslide and an incident today that could've started a bloodbath all in attempts to get rid of Malon. So now I feel like her, like I'm dense and can't take a hint."

"No, it's not like that."

"It is!" Zelda exclaims. "I'm down here trying to read Old Hylian to search out a cure for Malon when she doesn't even care either way as long as she has Link and even though I warned her about Ruto..." She sighs deeply and bites back the urge to whimper. "Even though I warned her a small part of me wishes she were out of the way."

"It's only natural."

"Really?"

Impa nods. "It's not nice but it is a part of our nature. No one likes the thought of losing something precious."

"But it wasn't even mine to begin with."

"At least you know. Ruto doesn't. She's acting on what she thinks is right, being deceitful and selfish trying to make something that isn't true exist. You are down here trying to help despite your pain."

"I feel so stupid..."

"You're really strong to face this instead of delude yourself."

"I'm a disgrace to the Triforce. I should've known..."

"I'm proud of you."

"Why did it happen this way? It hurts so much and...she had to know..." Zelda's eyes start brimming again, today just isn't her day. "Why did she do this to me?"

Impa wipes her face lovingly with a forefinger, tracing under her precious one's eyes. "I know it pains you. You feel betrayed." The princess nods fervently into her protector's embrace. "But..."

"But?" The hylian's bloodshot and watery eyes look up to meet those of her sheikah caretaker. "But what?"

"I do not think she was trying to hurt you."

"But she..."

"I know that she did hurt you but I truly think she may not have understood..."

"I all but said what I..."

"She may not have known her own heart and how she felt..."

"..."

"You probably weren't the only one with mixed feelings to straighten out."

"Something changed between then and now..."

"For all three of you it appears. I could no more have warned you then you could've expected to foresee it. You're not ignorant just lovesick."

"I really care for him..."

"I know. That's why it hurts."

"I should've known better. I suspected but went on ahead anyway. I'm no better than Ruto is, not using commonsense."

"That's where you're wrong." Impa says, shaking her head. "Infatuation is the fool's errand, not being heartbroken."

Zelda sighs yet again. "I'm so confused." She repeats.

"I know."

"I really don't want anything to happen to her. Is it strange that I worry?"

The highest-ranking retainer smiles slowly. "Not at all. It may feel strange but it's compassion. It's a beautiful thing."

"Even though she...took him from me?"

"It's because you want them both to be happy. It's beautiful because you're mature enough to accept it instead of fight it tooth and nail."

"It's for the better, isn't it?"

"People's happiness is always the greater good. Sometimes it's not meant for us but that doesn't mean snatch it away from them. It is difficult enough to allow them to have something we do not but it takes a really big person to try to help them with something like that. You do the Triforce justice for making that effort."

"Really?"

"That is a true display of strength of heart. No one could ask any more."

X

En route to Lake Hylia the tallest living person and the legendary hero are talking as they walk. Even though they've got something very grave to attend to they don't seem too serious. It's not a matter that they are too worried about despite the significance of it.

"You know somethin', Fairy Boy?" Malon says as though lost in thought.

"What's that?"

"Honestly I don't think I was ever goin' to pay Ruto a visit."

"That's not very cordial." Link replies with a smirk. "She's your closest neighbor."

"Well I went to visit your other friends cause I wanted to be clear on how we all stand and what I said. But I don't regret a single word of what I tol' her."

"I'll take a shot in the dark and say she didn't take you being candid so well. I mean seeing as there's been falling rocks and other things since then."

"You did claim to be the world's best marksman."

"You'd think she'd take a hint by now. I don't like her that much; she's a fish on top of that."

"I did mention that actually. Among some other choice things."

"I don't think you made a friend doing that."

"Not unless friends like the idea of a friend smashed all to smithereens under a piece of mountain."

"What exactly are you going to say to her?'

Malon rubs her chin. "I don't know. Cross that bridge when we come to it."

"Well you'd better come up with something fast and it had better be good..."

"Oh, looks like someone's waitin' to see me." Malon says, noting the zora princess sitting at the water's edge gazing at them. "Hi over there." She calls out politely.

"This should be funny." Link thinks to himself.

Ruto doesn't reply. She stands as they get closer, just off the shore getting her feet wet. "Stop. That's far enough." She says with the pair about thirty feet away.

Malon can see this isn't going well already so she cuts the preamble. "I know I said some hurtful things before and for that I'm sorry. I don't like to hurt folks and I wasn't out to jus' do you harm."

"Really?" Ruto seems interested. "What did you mean to do? Because you fooled me."

"I was lookin' to get my point across. I don't take back what I said but I want you to hear me out."

"No." The aquatic being says simply.

"What?" The redhead is surprised.

"I won't listen. I am not having it."

"Give me a chance to finish."

"I have been waiting way too long for this. You're in the way."

"Way of what?"

"My future with my beloved. Like you don't know."

"Umm, Ruto?" Link asks unsteadily.

"Be reasonable, girl!"

"I have been engaged since childhood. You need to step off!"

"You aren't makin' sense!"

"And I'm going through with my dream whether you like it or not!"

"It cain't work."

"No matter what you say here you better believe it's going to happen."

The colossal country gal shakes her head and stands in front of Link. "You'll have to go through me first."

"I had a feeling you'd say that." Ruto smiles and closes her eyes. "It will be my pleasure."

"Malon?" Link is confused. "What are you about to do?"

"Not sure but I think someone's spoilin' for a fight."

"Clear water grant me your peace..." Ruto chants.

"You can't be serious."

"If she is then it don' matter if I am or not."

"Embrace me as I call upon you..." The princess of the lake gains a pale blue aura.

"There's a way around this."

"Stand back, sweeheart."

"Protect your mistress in her time of need!"

"Malon don't!"

Link reaches for her but she pushes him back on his behind lightly with one hand and steps forward. Ruto has a bright cereulean glow about her now and a dome of water encapsulates the two ladies seemingly from the air itself. Then the water around the zora's feet bubbles and rises to envelope her. The liquid sphere glows and expands with a near blinding bluish-white shine. The light fades after a few seconds and now Ruto and Malon are closer to eye-level. Being more than a head taller than the hylian normally leaves her at just barely under thirty feet tall compared to Malon's twenty-seven feet two and one-quarter inches.

"No more hidin' behind dirty tricks?" Malon asks wryly.

"Some people just can't get a clue by themselves. I'll have to get you out of my way myself." Ruto replies haughtily.

"I'm honored you'd take that kind of time for little ole me." The hylian smirks. "No more boulders on hand?"

"If you knew your place I wouldn't have to do this and I'd be happy by now."

"I guess I really am a backwards hillbilly. What else can I say?"

"I think you do understand my destiny but someone's jealous."

"Me? Honestly I cain't see how."

"I'm the one who's fated to be with Link. If I were you I'd be jealous too."

"..."

"Ooo, looks like I hit a nerve! Envy isn't good for you!" Ruto taunts, waving a finger admonishingly. "Tsk tsk tsk."

"I pity you, sugar. I really do."

"Why is that?"

"If you were any shorter on marbles I don' think you could understand my English..."

The water sage's eyes flash with rage and she charges Malon somewhat clumsily without warning. In seconds they are locked together tussling to stay upright. The taller of the two is struggling to get the other down but can't find her leverage. It's clear that she isn't any good at this.

"I don' want to fight you." Malon admits.

"Nor I you."

"Then why are we doin' this?"

"This is the fastest way to get you out of the picture. I have to do something that works."

"What you need to do is see reality!"

"I have. It's smoother with you missing." The zora attempts to push her weight down on the shorter hylian.

"You're dreamin'!" Malon braces herself and stands her ground. "I'm not tryin' to hurt you!"

"That makes this a lot easier since I cannot say the same." Ruto pushes forward, gaining a little ground.

"Just listen!" The farmer shrugs Ruto off and shoves her to the shoreline. "You're takin' how you feel too far! How does Link feel?"

"It's a part of the grand design." She says, getting up and dusting herself off. "We're destined to be together."

"That doesn't answer my question!"

"Like I care!"

Outside the arena of flowing water Link is at a loss. He's been trying every gadget in his bag and not one has gained him anything close to a semblance of entry.

"I can't cut my way in, hookshot won't penetrate can't freeze a hole in it..." He reaches into his sack and tries another contrivance. A few seconds later he shakes soot from his cap. "Can't blast my way through...what am I supposed to do?"

Staring into the unnatural, impregnable bubble of silence he can't help but suffer a sense of impending dread. Malon's got the upper hand but that's no comfort to him. They've been at it a while and it is clear Ruto doesn't know enough about moving around on land to wrestle. Her opponent is also a good deal stronger and heavier than the tall but slight zora yet Link is soon banging on the liquid forcefield with his fist out of apprehension for his friend.

"There's got to be a way in there!" Link cries out in frustration. "Someone help me!"

X

In the castle's underground book storage Zelda is back to reading through the tomes. Impa is nearby, a quiet but still comforting presence standing near the doorway to the subterranean vault.

"Why didn't you tell me what was happening sooner?" The avatar of shade asks curiously while Zelda pages through yet another text written in Old Hylian.

"I wanted to deal with it myself. I didn't even know what it was at first. I didn't know it was going to be a problem..."

"You could've talked about it even so."

"You always help me. I wanted to see this for myself. You can't fight all of my battles."

The sheikah is silent at that statement. She wouldn't deny that she would've done all she could on the princess's behalf whether she could handle it or not but something is out of place all of the sudden. She looks up as though something has piqued her interest. "That's strange, did you feel that just now?" She says in a surprised tone. "Something is wrong..."

"I did." Zelda looks at the back of her hand, which has started to burn slightly. Pulling off the glove she sees the triangle embedded in it gleaming fiercely. "I'm needed..."

"What?" The retainer's expression turns worried. "Tell me what is happening."

"I have to go." She says softly, standing up.

"Princess wait-" Impa moves to stop the royal figure, covering the space between them in an instant and grasping her by the hands but she slips her caretaker's grasp leaving just her gloves in it as she fades from sight. "...you may not be able to do this alone..."

X

Back at Lake Hylia the device driven savior is at his wits end. He's tried kicking it and walking through with the Iron Boots, bashing it with the Megaton Hammer, and throwing Biggoron's Longsword at it. Having reached the limit of his resourcefulness he's sitting next to the fluid enclosure panting. He looks up as the princess appears nearby, more relieved than he'd ever actually admit to.

"Zelda, thank the goddesses..." Link wheezes. "What is this? I can't get through. I've tried everything..."

One look at the barrier and the incarnation of intelligence knows what she's dealing with. "You can't get through." She says simply.

"I know that." He says irritably. "Tell me how to."

"You can't get through." She repeats. "You cannot break this spell."

"If I can't then what am I supposed to do?" The hero is more than a little incensed.

"This is a seal of a sage. It is completely impenetrable. Nothing can enter or exit through the barrier. Not even sound unless she wills it so. Inside that circle she cannot be harmed or tire; she is under divine right."

"So not only am I not getting in, Malon isn't getting out? She can't win this?"

"I'm afraid that's the case." Zelda says grimly. "Within the confines of that seal all is under her control. She may as well be a goddess."

Their eyes stray to the conflict inside the sacred area. Malon is still dominating the engagement but sweat is starting to show on her. Ruto is taking it calmly, every fall in stride, appearing no worse for the wear. The farm girl still looks game enough but the wicked smile on the aquatic one's face leaves both of the onlookers with a sensation of trepidation.

"Malon's in there and you want me to just watch? You can't expect me to believe there's nothing we can do!" Link is flat out furious at this possibility. "I'll find a way in there if it kills me!"

Zelda looks at Link caught in the heat of the moment and it's more than just that happening right now. Something isn't the way she thinks it should be. "There's more than just drive and determination in his face..." She thinks. "This isn't like when he fought Ganondorf, this is different. There's righteous rage and something more..." It hits her as suddenly as a freak bolt of lightning. "This is personal, that light flashing in his eyes..."

"I give you my word!" He looks ready to take the fist with the flaming Triforce of Courage back to the barrier again despite bruising on his fingers and do it until he gets in there or passes out.

That confirms it and Zelda stills feels a pang of loss upon realizing what she has for certain. "He's serious and I know why...and I believe him." She places a hand on his shoulder to stop him from battering the shield with his hand again. "That won't be necessary." She says slowly. "There is one way this can be undone. I came across it in my reading."

"Then let's go for it already!" Link roars.

She can feel it in his words and even though she tries to fight it she can't help but feel a pang of jealousy for the one trapped in the unassailable circle. She sighs and gathers her resolve. "For this to work we'll need help."

X

Inside the aqua prison the two combatants are continuing the duel. Though the toll of the battle is telling on one of them neither of them is close to giving up. The ground beneath them is torn with dragged footprints and struggle while they grapple yet again.

"You sure are stubborn." Malon says. "Don't you fish folks ever get tired?"

"I could say the same about you." Ruto replies, attempting to throw the hylian to the ground. "And I won't be getting tired any time soon."

"Oh? Are you inspired?" The cherry-topped one asks scathingly. "Nothin' like somethin' you'll never reach to keep you goin'." She scoffs, straining to stay standing.

"I'm enchanted." Ruto corrects. "As long as I'm in here I'll never get tired. I'm invincible too, haven't you noticed I'm not hurt?"

"Whoopee for you. I don' plan on backin' down myself so..." She pushes Ruto off of her and throws a mean left cross when the zora steps back towards her that gains her some space temporarily. "We'll be here a while."

"Ow, that kinda stung. I didn't think you had that much left in you." The lake dweller says, regaining her balance just before falling. "I'm impressed." She rubs her chin as it still tingles a moment.

"There's plenty more where that came from."

"I'm willing to test that."

"You don' have what it takes to bring me down, darlin'."

"Actually I think I do. It's called time. How much longer do you think you can keep this up?" She asks, locking arms with the rancher again.

"As long as it takes."

"Ooo, don't disappoint!" Ruto says happily. "I'm just getting started!"

"I'd better not. I can't let Fairy Boy end up with a screwball like you."

The zora giggles. "That's harsh! Be nice!"

"You first."

The zora continues giving her best to unbalance her opponent. "We could be here all day."
"Suits me."

X

Outside the sealed area Link is waiting impatiently while Zelda prepares the spell. He's more than anxiety-ridden as he watches what happens inside the dome and she's mumbling an incantation of some kind while drawing out a circle on the ground.

"What are we waiting on?" He demands, pacing a tight area with nervous energy. "Come on already!"

"We're waiting on help. I can't break an enchantment like this. I called them so be patient."

"Be patient? Be patient?!" The champion's eyes open wide as green dinner plates. "I've been out here the last ten minutes being patient! Malon's getting roughed up and tired and I'm supposed to wait it out? How much longer do you have to put me through this?"

The avatar of wisdom sighs. "I really could expect no less. I should've known..."

"Known what? What are you talking about?"

She had been referring to his attitude but she shrugs it off as though it is of no consequence. "It's not important. Here they come."

Impa appears first. "You called?" She surveys the situation without words and does not look too happy with her conclusion. "I see. Let's hope."

"Exactly what I was thinking." Zelda agrees.

"Let's hope what? What am I missing?" Link asks, agitated he's not being kept informed.

The ladies don't say anything more. Rauru, Saria, and Darunia appear shortly. All of them look concerned but say nothing.

"Okay, this should be enough help. Why don't you get on with it?" All of them shake their heads at his request at the same time. "What is it now?" Link demands irately.

Zelda sighs again. "We're short one. All of the other sages are needed for the counterspell to work." She explains.

"Then what are you waiting for? Get Nabooru over here!"

"I've contacted her telepathically but I haven't received a response."

"Try again! Something!" He turns to the other sages. "How much longer can this go on? How much longer can she last in there? The seal doesn't stay up forever does it?"

The elemental embodiments of the goddesses will are silent. Their grave expressions say volumes to the hero and he's bordering on fed up. He's been through a lot and losing his patience is something he's learned to get past but this is really pressing his tolerance.

"So that's just it? She's going to die in there? You're just going to stand idly by? The sages still say nothing. "I save the kingdom, save each of you one by one and when I need a favor this is what I get? All your amazing sage powers and this is it? This is pathetic!"

"Link you have to understand..." Saria begins. "This isn't easy for any of us..."

"Easy? I like that word. You mean easy like conquering five temples and the King of Evil? Or easy like fighting someone with unlimited power and stamina?"

"Brother, our hands are tied." Darunia explains. "If I could do it myself I would but we all have to agree. Violating a pact with the goddesses isn't so simple."

"If I could do it myself I'd be done already..."

"I know how hard this has to be for you." Impa says. "I know how you feel..."

"You know how hard this is, huh? You know how this is making me feel?" The shadow sage nods. "If you really know what this is doing to me then you're cold-blooded for not doing something sooner and watching me go through this."

"Link listen." Rauru says, trying to be calm in the face of the situation. "We are doing all we can-"

A few words explode out of the veteran defender of the kingdom's mouth that make everyone's heads turn. None of the words are quite worthy of children's ears and all of them are tinted deep blue. The fact that they are appalled means little to him right around now in any case. "And I'd say it again." Link takes a deep breath and tries to come back from flying off the handle. He's not trying to get teary-eyed in front of them. "If you were doing everything you can then Nabooru would already be here and I wouldn't be watching Malon get killed in there. So stop telling me it'll be okay and get her over here."

X

Out at desert colossus Nabooru is taking some time to herself. She's still a little rattled about her close encounter with Malon earlier and is cooling off from the whole thing.

"I can't believe Ruto tried to pull me in the middle of her and that oversize redhead." The spirit sage thinks. "I'm not anybody's pawn. I don't do anyone's dirty work. I went right over to her little room and told her that too as soon as the girl left. If her and too tall have problems she should just confront the girl and be done with it."

Suddenly a strange sensation comes over the gerudo leader. She casts her eyes to the sky then back east towards the lake and shrugs.

"From the sounds of that message I guess Ruto is doing just that. She's got her seal of clear water up and is dealing with Malon the only other way she can think of. I know if I don't go help the girl is done for but who am I to step into this quarrel? Her and I aren't friends so why should I bother with it?"

The spirit sage sits and contemplates the idea for a moment. Several more messages, each more urgent than the last, from each sage arrive. Regardless she is not to be swayed from thinking. This is her decision.

"I did tell her to go on and have it out with the girl but that isn't fair. Do I go back on what I just told her to do and break the spell though? Seems like it defeats the purpose..." She's about to chalk the entire idea but something is gnawing at her.

"If Link's going into the kind of seizure they say, something isn't making sense. Because if...wait. She went into all of what she did on Ruto's ‘Wedding Day' for a reason. If he's ready to breath fire and she even bothered tangling with that nutcase then...but Ruto is a sage and my friend. How can I be the one to decide what's right?"

X

In the enchanted precinct of water Ruto and Malon have been at it for some time. Even though her fatigue is showing she's still taking it to her infinitely fresh opponent. Ruto is content to just let it go and wait; she's in no hurry.

"I'd think by now you'd just give up." The zora says condescendingly, advancing again.

"I'd think by now the truth would've hit you..." The hylian retorts, breathing heavily and grabbing hold of her opponent.

"That you won't give up until I make you? I know that." Ruto laughs. "It doesn't bother me at all. It's just sooo time consuming..."

"All this time it still hasn't sunk...talk about a hard head."

"I can't imagine you have much of worth to say to me. As jealousy-ridden as you are it would probably be much better if you just shut up."

Malon laughs at that. "I guess you're sharper than I thought. I should give you more credit."

"Why is that so funny?"

"I was going to tell you the same thing." She pushes the water sage away from her and steps back a few paces. "After all, it is why we're here."

"What?"

"You're so green with envy I'd miss you in the brush with glasses on."

"Me? Jealous? Why would I be? I'm the one winning here."

"Come on now, honey. I don't think you wanted to drop big rocks on lil' ole me cause you wanted to play catch. Fact is I'm closer to Link than you'll ever be."

"Lies."

"Every time you got word I was in a mile of him you got into mischief about it. Figured if you weren't close I sure didn't need to be."

"You've made a lot of efforts toward stealing Link from me so no I don't think you need to be near him."

"Steal him from you? I couldn't tie him to you without a noose." Malon giggles.

"He's mine." Ruto says shakily.

"He's been pretty good to me, we're great friends. I don't think I own him though."

"That's because he's mine." She repeats. "Are you deaf?"

"Well I don't listen to make-believe if that's what you mean."

"It's true!" She insists, voice rising in pitch.

"Why doesn't he visit?"

"He has other things to do. Important things."

"It must be nice to live in your own little world." The horse breeder giggles again.

"What's funny this time?"

"I'm guessin' no one told you and that must mean they didn't think you could handle it either."

"What are you talking about?" Ruto is on the defensive now. "What haven't I been told?"

"When you aren't too bright and can bounce pebbles off your own forehead it's a bad combo."

"Tell me..." Ruto commands, starting to lose her cool at being ridiculed.

"Have you ever wondered what he's doing?" Malon asks innocently.

"I think about him all the time. Day in, day out. That's how much I love him."

"Uh-oh, the ‘L' word. I wonder if you'll say it still after I'm done. I can tell you what he's been doing if you're curious."

"What has he been doing?" She asks, taking the bait.

"If you weren't so busy bein' full of yourself it might have occurred to you."

"Just tell me before I get tired of you."

"I'd think that happened back when you thought I'd make good patte..." Ruto glares at this waste of her time so she goes on with telling the truth. "Well he's been with me. Every day."

"Impossible." She says flatly.

"Is it? He's been on my farm all this time. If you'd have paid a visit instead of makin' my water dry up you'd have seen him. He's been helpin' me with my chores, we share meals..."

"Not my Link."

"Your Link is imaginary. The one I know likes a massage in the morning after chores and loves napping in my arms at all times of day."

"My Link wouldn't..." Ruto's eyes are wide now.

"He has just about every night."

"Blasphemy." Her gaze turns stone hard.

"Haven't you put together why you haven't heard a peep out of him since I rescued him from your wedding?"

"..."

"He cain't stand you, sugar."

Something inside the lake resident snapped just then. Her expression darkens like clouds over the sun and her eyes, previously wide, narrow to thin lines on her face. Even the ambient light through the dome seemed to dim as something finally starts to occur to her.

"It's starting to sink in, ain't it?"

"He's mine..." She murmurs in what could better be called a growl.

"From the self-absorbed way you've been actin' I guess you really did miss all the signs..."

"I made him promise with the Sapphire..." She mumbles to herself but still loud enough for Malon to hear.

"Denial is an ugly thing."

"It...I..."

"You never had a chance."

It is too sudden for Malon to react. But before her mouth closes from the last word that still hangs in the air Ruto is at her throat instantly like an expertly fired arrow. It's not like before; the zora is as one overcome by a demon. The hylian is taken by surprise and slips back a few paces trying to keep her feet but doesn't stop there. Ruto hurls her to the ground viciously with a hip toss as though she weighs nothing and falls upon her like a maddened animal ferociously mauling her.

"It's not my fault..." She wheezes, taking the throw hard as she loses a lot of her wind on contact with the ground.

"You're lying!" Ruto screams atop the country girl, slapping her repeatedly. "Stop lying to me!" The cracks from the blows echo in the small area while one of the pair is yelling hysterically over each one. "It's not true!"

"He likes hugs..." She coughs out.

"Stop it!" The zora starts bashing her head on the ground.

"He hates vegetables..."

"Shut up, shut up, shut up!" Her voice rises in pitch as she slams the hylian again with each command, cracking the stones that line the shore beneath them.

"He has back problems..." Her vision flashes white again as a few more pebbles are ground to dust in her hair on impact. "Every morning..." Blinding stars over her sight return as her skull bounces off of the ground again. "He loves my hands..." The next hit makes her head swim and her eyes loll backwards as she can feel a large rock crumble beneath her cranium. "...oohh..."

"I won't let you take him from me! None of that can be true!"

The one with the strawberry locks is trying to get her bearings and feels like she's been a couple rounds with the holder of the Triforce of Power but does manage to get her vision to focus long enough to lock eyes with her opponent again. "We talk for hours at night..." She pants laboriously. "...before bed...think about it."

"He's not yours!"

"Maybe not..." Malon admits, her voice a hoarse whisper. "But I do love him...you'll never...understand..." She trails off as Ruto thrusts her head under suddenly rising water.

"Tell me you're lying!" Ruto shouts.

The old-fashioned ranch worker is inhaling lake water but gets her head up one more time. "Truth hurts, doesn't it?" Her face goes back below the surface. The hylian's vision starts to fade. It feels like the end is coming at last.

"I know you're lying, I just know. But even if by some slim chance even a tiny sliver of it was true it doesn't matter now. You'll be gone and so will all of your lies and tricks and everything will be just as it should be. How does that make you feel, you homewrecker?"

Ruto's voice is coming from very far away. It all sounds so faint and distorted it barely registers in her mind. "I think you got hallucinatin' down to an art." She thinks, watching the image of her assailant waver from beneath the surface of the water. "He's about as at home with you as he'd be in a prison. I'd consider where he's been the last few weeks before sayin' somethin' like that. Callin' me a homewrecker of all things..."

Malon's taking a lot of water into her lungs now despite trying to hold her breath and something astoundingly stupid takes control of her a moment after she concludes what she has and she actually laughs hearing Ruto speak again with the last of her air. Now she's got another mouthful of water and it's about time for her to pass out. "Why did I have to be the one to tell her it all...?" She asks whatever can hear her thoughts, losing touch with physical reality slowly. "I really just wish there was an end to all this nonsense. I'm just so tired of this..." The hylian's body tingles and everything seems darker. Even the water seems deeper as blackness steals over her along with a sensation of nausea and floating away.

X

Outside the murky semi-sphere Link has been following the battle and has officially started screeching. The other sages are distinctly nervous but are making no endeavor to comfort the inconsolable hero. The events inside have them all on edge and what is happening now has them floored.

"She's turning back to normal." Saria states.

"I hate to say it but I think this is bad timing." Darunia mentions. "Being cured is good and all but..."

"Ruto is trying to crush her." Impa notes. Link makes a sound similar to an angry bird of prey at that remark. "If we're going to do something it has to be now."

Suddenly there is a burst of saffron hued light tinged with sand and dust in their midst. A windblown, wild-eyed woman steps out from it. "So what'd I miss?" Nabooru asks with a smile that isn't winning anyone over right now.

"You're late." Zelda says in an exasperated voice. "I know you heard-"

"Sorry. I was busy."

"Doing what? There's a life at stake here!" Link screams in a decibel just low enough to pass for human speech without becoming an unintelligible high-pitched whistle.

"Get in the circle." The sage of wisdom commands. "We don't have much time."

The six sages stand with hands touching and an almost audible hum comes from the gathering. They close their eyes and begin chanting with Zelda leading.

"We of the sage's circle are servants of the Triforce and protectors of its sacred balance. If one of us opposes this balance together we can undo the wrong with our powers of..."

"Calm Forest."

"Raging Fire."

"Wayward spirit."

"Impenetrable shadow."

"Guiding light."

"...granted to us by the goddesses. In the names of Din, Farore, and Nayru we break the seal of Clear Water for the greater good."

As the final words are uttered a flash of light comes form between the sages and the enchantment is dispelled. Link takes that as a signal to go and bolts to Malon and Ruto with unreal swiftness. Even though they're both back to normal on dry land Ruto has her hands around Malon's neck trying to throttle her. She doesn't notice the hero until he's right upon them and looks up with a proud smile. Before she can speak she's rather rudely stiff-armed off of her quarry and falls to the ground a bit stunned at the occurrence.

"I guess every life is important but I took care of her for us." Ruto says with a disturbing grin. "She won't be bothering us any more."

"Malon, hey wake up!" Link commands imperatively, tapping her cheekbone. "Ah, heavens..." He starts to perform CPR. "Don't let me be too late..." He gives her mouth-to-mouth but no response. "Come on, please!" He tries another cycle while the sages look on in awe.

"I didn't know Link could be afraid of anything." Saria thinks with a little chill.

"I've never seen brother like this..."

"If I'd known how he felt I'd have gotten here sooner." Nabooru thinks regretfully.

"This is what Zelda spoke of." Impa realizes.

"He's made his choice." Zelda sighs to herself again, like she's been prone to this afternoon and her expression is one of special anguish watching it.

"I'm begging you please!" He tries chest compressions again, frantically.

"I think she's gone." Ruto mentions nonchalantly. "It's for the better anyway; I wouldn't worry about it."

"Of course you wouldn't!" Link snaps as Ruto draws back in surprise at his sudden fury. "It's your fault!" He tries a couple of rescue breaths again and is rewarded with a face full of water when she starts coughing up some lake in his direction. "Malon, thank goodness!" He breaths a sigh of relief that's been building for the last fifteen minutes. "I thought for a minute there..." He shakes his head and exhales again.

"You saved me." The worn out girl whispers, opening her eyes. "You really got this hero thing down pact."

"I'd hope so. I didn't save the world by being a half-cocked hack." Link smiles.

Malon giggles. "Well you're my hero either way so..." She leans up and gives him a kiss on the forehead. "Thank you much Fairy Boy."

"I- really-" He's turning red and she just smiles and lies back down, appearing content that she's made him embarrassed and taking a quick and much needed breather.

"Okay that's far enough." Ruto says, annoyed from over his shoulder. "You'd think she'd figure out whose man this is by now."

"Excuse me?" Link asks in an almost amazed tone.

"I didn't stutter. Your friend better watch who she's getting affectionate with or you won't be able to save her next time."

"I don't think you understand..."

"I know I don't want some girl putting her lips on what's mine. I've had enough of her lies and man-stealing antics to last two lifetimes. Come over here lover. She can drool over you from where she is."

"Okay, I missed something." Link says, looking thoroughly perturbed while immobile.

"What? You've always been my dearest. That has never changed." Ruto sounds startled by his response. "You know that I'm sure so come here."

This particular look on the left-handed swordslinger's face right now is one that only the would-be destroyer of Hyrule has ever seen. It's a couple levels beyond irritated or infuriated and just one step behind ‘you're going to die right now' and everyone can see it. The temple keepers are distressed while Ruto is actually bordering on petrified by his gaze. An awe-bound hush like the calm before the storm is over the area and all know it.

"This is it." Saria realizes. "She's been asking for it."

"This has been a long time coming..." Darunia reflects. "I think she's pushed him over the edge at long last..."

"I've been waiting to see this." Nabooru thinks almost gleefully. "She's going to get it."

"There was no way this could have been avoided." Impa cogitates.

"He's going to set things right after all this time." Zelda considers. "Shattering her hopes and mine as well." She exhales tiredly and Impa is at her side holding her upright immediately. "But it has to be done."

"No." Link says in a low tone very slowly.

"What do you mean?" Ruto sounds flustered and frightened at the same time like a young child.

"I mean no." He reiterates slowly.

"But we-"

"We? I'm sure you must be joking. Now is not the time."

"But I'm serious. We're meant to be together. I've been waiting so long and doing all I can to make it so...can't you see?"

"No, I don't." He says flatly.

"This is what's real, can't you feel it between us?"

"I don't know what kind of delusion you're trying to put me in but I don't want any part of it." He continues evenly. "You disturb me."

"Don't say things like that. I know you understand what I feel for you." She has an aggrieved expression on her face. "Please don't do this to me." She says in a low wavering voice that borders on the edge of her losing composure.

"So you started an avalanche, nearly sparked off a confrontation with the gerudo, and spent the last twenty minutes trying to kill Malon here by attempting to beat her to death, drown, crush, choke and whatever else you could imagine to utterly destroy her? All for the love of me?"

"I love you more than life itself!" Ruto cries out, overcome with emotion. "I've lived my entire life waiting for this! I won't let anything come between us!"

"You're crazy."

"What?"

"You're out of your mind and I'm sick of pretending you're not."

"Why would you say that to your fiancé?"

"See, I should've known."

"Should've known what? I don't understand."

"I bet you don't." Link says with a hand on his forehead.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"Let me make it clear to you. I'm not your fiancé."

"But the Sapphire-"

"I don't like you that way. Matter of fact I'm having a hard time liking you at all right now."

"You're my beloved-"

"Don't you give me that! I'm tired of hearing it!" The zora princess is a few degrees past upset by that. "I really am sick of it! All of this is your fault and you know it!"

"I can't help it." She whines plaintively. "I love you so..."

"You can't help being obsessed over me, huh? Just can't stop yourself from hurting others just to get close to me? You're that devoted to me?"

"I'd do it again-"

"Yay! Let's cause more disasters and more pain and suffering because I'm too self-centered to even consider that there's an outside chance that he may not love me as much as I love him! Let's endanger everyone anywhere nearby just for a shot at my love! Let's do anyone in the way like the competition, the princess-"

"She wasn't involved. Just that woman in the tan tunic was with you. Her over there."

"The lady next to Impa with the shiny, important-looking triangle in her hand? You must not catch on fast at all do you? That's the princess but that's not important. I couldn't have expected you to care about that but you love me so much you left me in the crossfire too. Got more than a knot on my head from that cliff you tried to drop on us."

"I didn't mean-"

"To be neurotically stupid? This is blowing my mind! If you'd done what you set out to do we wouldn't even be talking right now because one of us would be flatter than a shadow! Let's pretend I didn't need Malon to stop me from becoming rock paint. What then? If you just managed to take her out I'd simply fall into your arms and we'd live happily ever after, huh? Guess it didn't occur to you I did all I could to protect her did it?"

"She made you do-"

"She never once made me do anything! She did things for me! She cares for me!"

"Not like I do."

"I hope not! Since she's not cracked like a fine china Frisbee I don't think she does, go figure. Lucky me."

"How can you say that to me? Don't you love me?" She whimpers.

"You just don't get it! NO! Of course not!"

"You're choosing her over me?"

"You say that like there was a chance in this world you were even on that list! I don't love you, I have never loved you, and probably won't love you until they start serving ice-cream in Hell!"

Ruto bursts into tears at that last turn of phrase. She falls to the ground as though struck across the face in a prone position sprawled out and crying with her face hidden. "But why?" She sobs.

"Why?" Link's eyes teeter on their way out of their sockets as the eyelids take a quick trip upward to kiss stratosphere. "It's obvious! You're immature, selfish, spoiled, compulsive, flat-out insane, and have a problem understanding the words that are coming out of my mouth!"

"But that can't be true..."

"See, that's exactly what I mean! It's like we aren't speaking the same language! Like what I just said can't click inside your head! Someone else has my heart, not you! Don't you get it? It's as evident as the concussion on my forehead!" He snaps, stressing the words ‘concussion' and ‘forehead' by tapping the bandage and stretching the syllables. "What part of not till I get a sundae served with my damnation you obsessive psychotic blockhead excuse for a friend do you not understand?"

Ruto looks as though she wants to say something. She gathers up what little willpower she has left from his vicious assault and meets his gaze one more time to say it. But as the path of her eyes crosses that of the ones of the hero she stops cold, seeing something that she can't comprehend. Link's eyes are hard and glassy with his teeth bared in a snarl to match his mood. Potent venom and fresh blood may as well be dripping from his jaws given what he's just said and her reaction to it. He is actually tempted to hiss and snap in outrage before she bolts like one who's seen the stare of a creature that makes its home in her nightmares come for her in reality, shrieking in a mixture of melancholy despair and utter terror wrenched from the depths of the very fiber of her being. Thoroughly traumatized and pale enough to be taken for a shade gray now she dives into the water in mortal fear with her otherworldly wail only being silenced by the ripples left in her wake on the surface of the water as something that took over seven years for her to understand finally hits home.

"I've seen a lot of things in my time..." Rauru says to himself.

"That's scary..." Saria whispers.

"That's brother with the gloves off..." Darunia mumbles.

"She deserved it but that was way past brutal..." Nabooru breathes.

"There truly was no other alternative." Impa sighs.

"I wish he'd fight for me like that." Zelda mouths silently, leaning hard on her caretaker. "With all my heart I truly wish..."

Link stands and turns to the sages whose faces are still stricken with stark shock and disbelief at what he's just perpetrated. "I know I haven't thanked you for what you've done and I just wanted to. I'm sorry if I...can you forgive me?"

"You're welcome." Rauru says quietly.

"And we know." Saria adds with a wink.

"So don't worry about it." Nabooru laughs.

"I think we may want to leave brother alone now." Darunia mentions. "I'm not needed further."

"Indeed." Impa agrees.

The sages all disappear simultaneously at that. Trademark colors in all directions save one person. The woman in the tan tunic simply stares at the pair for a bit. They don't even look in her direction and she's in a philosophical mood getting ready to leave herself anyway.

"Hey Malon, you awake?" Link asks, sitting next to her.

"Of course I am." She giggles softly. "I don't even think pa could sleep through that conniption fit of yours and her squealin' like a stuck pig at the same time."

"Ah, I'm sorry." Link looks shamefaced. "I wasn't trying to keep you up."

"I'm glad I didn't miss it. You're a lot stronger than you used to be."

"How do you mean?"

"You used to have problems sayin' ‘no' and standin' up for yourself in front of your friends."

"I had to. Something more important was at stake."

"What was that?"

"You know."

"I didn't ask for my health, Fairy Boy."

"You. You're really important to me and...you heard what I said. I got kind of loud."

"I know. Like to have busted out one of my eardrums." She laughs. "But you meant all that?" She asks quietly, meeting his eyes. "I never seen you mad before..."

"I said it to get Ruto to understand but there's nothing easier to understand than the honest truth regardless if it hurts or not. I meant every word."

"You sat there and unraveled her whole lil' dreamworld from round her bit by bit. I warned her it wasn't true..."

"I did what I had to. I know it wasn't nice but you can't always speak your mind and be polite at the same time, right?" Link asks as he remembers her advice.

"Mmhmm. You got it hon. That's what it took to wake her up. You been waitin' a good while to say some of that."

"Been waiting too long for all of it if you ask me. Should've told Ruto what I did before she got out of hand."

"It's okay, everyone survived."

"It's not okay..."

"It's not?"

"I put off saying what I think too much. That nearly killed both of us."

"Don' blow it out of proportion. It was that girl bein' about as stable as a two-legged table that did us that number."

"Cracked as a fine china Frisbee I say again."

"That sounded like somethin' I'd say. You've been hangin' round me too much."

Link nods and smiles. "Maybe. There's a reason for that I assure you."

"Hmm?"

"I mean- well there is. I really like you. Truth is I thought today I might've missed my last chance to tell you how I feel."

"Well I managed to make it through so no worries there, hon. You watch out for me too well."

"I wouldn't say all that. But you mean a lot to me. That's why the thought of losing you scared me so much. I can't help that."

"I'm flattered you think so much of me. It makes me feel special."

"You are special. You're the only person that accepts me for who I am, not what I am. You're the only one who always listens. You're the only one I feel this way about."

"This way?"

"I wouldn't have done everything I did for just anyone. Only you."

"Only me?" She whispers.

"You're my best friend. You've always been there for me. I would do anything you ask."

"You don' have to do all that..."

"I realize I don't and that's why I would. It's been that way for some time."

"I know but...why?"

"It's because...you're the one I was talking about. The one who has my heart. I love you Malon. I thought you knew."

"I suspected and I hoped, I really did. Cause I've had strong feelings for you I felt guilty and wasn't sure about and didn't know what to do with for a while now. I didn't want to steal you from the life you had but I started havin' a hard time imaginin' mine without you. I love you too, sweetheart."

Zelda has been there the whole time. She's been waiting for something and it's finally come. "I've been waiting to hear those words so long...but alas it truly isn't to be." She shakes her head. "I had to hear it for myself. I felt it between them and can see it now but I had to know. I knew in my heart but I had to be certain. As his friend I understand and even though it's for the best and I'm happy for him...it still hurts. I never got a chance to start off the right way but looking at them now I wonder if it really would've made a difference..." The princess vanishes as their lips meet and eyes close. The pair doesn't notice the soft whoosh and her sigh on the breeze as she fades from the scene leaving naught but one teardrop drying on the ground unnoticed. "Maybe in another life..."