- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

If you aren't willing to take what's yours you may as well give it away.

Ruto of clear water

On the farm the next morning the itinerary for the day is being set. With the chores done all that's needed is a plan of action before they get going. The resident hero and dayplanner is running through his checklist now. Preparation is the best weapon to battle anything with as far as he's concerned and taking Malon anywhere is worth getting done right since way too much can go wrong. A person can't plan for everything but they can surely try.

"You wanted to visit Darunia, right?" Link asks, double-checking.

"Mmmhm." Malon replies. "Is there a problem with that?"

"Not really. You ever been to Kakariko before?"

"No..."

"We'll be passing through there then up the trail...you still wanted to visit Biggoron, right?"

"I suppose, why all the questions?"

"Got to have a plan, right? Just trying to think ahead and see how long it'll take."

"It'll happen how it happens."

"Well I'm trying to allot for at least one food break, possible riot, maybe a natural disaster..."

"Be serious Fairy Boy!" The massive maiden chides.

"What else can I tell you? Link shrugs. "Things happen when you're around."

"I hate to agree but you do have an effect on places." Comes a voice from the gate.

"Oh, good mornin'. I was wonderin' if you were comin' with us."

"Princess Zelda!" Link bows hurriedly.

"Stop that." Zelda says with a grin. "Do I look like a princess to you?"

Link has to get up from kneeling and facing the ground to check. "Uhh..."

Zelda does have a point. Wearing a khaki-colored button down tunic with the sleeves torn off and midriff showing along with matching shortened pants and boots she hardly looks a member of the royal family. With her hair mostly tied under her barrette-style hat and gloves covering the Triforce of Wisdom given the chain, canteen and pouch hanging from her belt you'd think her a warrior from another land.

"I think you look ready for an adventure." Malon decides. "Or at least ready to hike a good ways."

"That's the effect I was going for." Zelda says with a smile. "I think I'll be better prepared today."

"You'll probably get up the mountain path faster dressed like that." Link admits. "But what's with that bandage?"

The foreign-looking hylian appears surprised then looks at her left elbow. "Oh, that? For effect, nothing really." Actually it still hurt from falling on it yesterday. It had healed but still hurt to bend and she had it to stop it from moving too much because of that but she wasn't going to tell Link that. "And that reminds me..." She walks over to the gargantuan girl. "Sit down, I can't reach that high."

"Hmm?" Malon obliges with a curious expression on her face. "What are you on about?"

"One can hardly go into town sporting ropes as ribbons..." Zelda replies, tying an orange ribbon around one braid and a pink one around the other. "Even you have to adhere to fashion some way."

The farmgirl giggles. "You might be right." She looks at her new accessories. "These are hardly normal sized ribbons, where did you get them?"

"Just had them lying around." Zelda replies casually. To be truthful she had them and a lot more cloth streamers lying around after one of the banquets she'd thrown for Link but she wasn't mentioning that. "Thought you'd get more use out of them than I would. Forgive me for not matching them better."

"No complaints here hon. Thank you as a matter of fact."

The princess smiles. "By the way when are we heading out? Link still has chores to do?"

"No...he's plannin' for what to do in case of a windstorm or avalanche still. Waitin' on him."

Sensing that meticulous planning is going to be unappreciated Link sighs and shakes his head. "If you two are in that big of a hurry we may as well go." And the trio sets out for Kakariko Village.

The morning is cool and the three of them are making good time. Zelda is more than able to keep up so she keeps pace with Link in front of Malon, who has never been to the village. He notices her next to him and decides to ask about her choice of attire.

"Hey, what made you pick what you're wearing?" Link asks. "It's not your normal...thing you'd wear."

"Fine dinin' makes for terrible hikin'?" Malon offers.

"I'm talking to Zelda, not you." The hero says with a grin. "Don't butt in."

"Touché Fairy Boy, I'll mind mine." She smirks back at him. "You've been waitin' for that I know."

"The nerve of some people..." Link brings his focus back to Zelda not paying Malon's chuckle any mind. "Why'd you pick that again? Think there was an interruption when you were about to tell me."

Trying not to laugh as the two of them go back and forth is a trial but Zelda manages it. "Yesterday didn't go so well so I thought I needed a change. I figured that castle workers probably wore something usable since they work and move around all day. This is a gardener uniform mostly. It even came with the canteen and the small pouch. I added the hat, gloves and chain for my own use while I had to cut the sleeves on the whole thing to fit and add a little style. I don't think I did too badly either. It was either this or overalls and that wasn't happening." She shudders at the thought.

"Hey, I think overalls are alright!" Malon protests.

"And if I worked on a farm maybe I would too. As is I think you'd look pretty funny in a pair of overalls right now."

The scarlet-haired girl thinks it over. "I'll give you that. Though I'm curious, what is that chain for?"

"It's a sheikah chain. They're used to defend yourself and a couple other utility purposes, like an extra arm." Zelda extends it and waves it around magically without actually swinging her hand too much. "Not everyone is quite as imposing as you are so we've got to be inventive. Brought it along just in case."

"I'd swap places with you in a heartbeat. This is more headache than it's worth."

"You might miss it when it wears off."

"If it ever does. I'm startin' to think it's permanent..." Malon sighs. "It really bothers me sometimes."

"Is there a cure for what happened to you?"

"I honestly don't know. I'm thinkin' so but I'm not really sure anymore."

"I'll look into it and see what I can find. I don't know what else I can say."

The huge hylian sighs again. "You don' have to say anythin'. It's not somethin' you have to worry about. Thanks for the thought."

"I want to help though. You're my friend."

Malon smiles a small sad smile. "It's much appreciated but you don't have to bother yourself with it."

Zelda knows better than to argue the point any further. The trio reaches the village in silence. It isn't like they went unnoticed though. When you have the world's tallest person as company you tend to attract a little attention. So the townspeople crowd around in no time and Malon waves timidly for lack of a more appropriate thing to do and unable to think of something spur of the moment to say.

"Is it always like this?" Zelda whispers aside to Link.

"You had guards posted when you planned the tea party so that was better than this. But from what I heard it was bedlam her first trip to the market so I'd have to say yes."

"I see why."

"Umm, could some of you all give me a lil' space?" Malon says finally. "I can hardly walk with you all in the way." She makes an annoyed face. "That does mean get your children off my ankles please. Come on, I know you can hear me. Ugh..." Her cajoling is having little success and she's trying not to startle the populace with yelling or touching them but her patience is wearing thin at an amazing rate.

"Follow my lead." Zelda whispers.

"Okay, but what are you doing?"

Zelda doesn't reply. She takes a deep breath and starts shouting. "Make way, make way! If you've never been a footprint before I suggest you move!"

"Move aside, need some space here!" Link yells, taking a cue. "Large object in motion let's move over people!"

"Deaf people are two-dimensional, think about it and start stepping!"

"Nothing looks better flat! Keep moving, stay pretty!"

Malon is finding the whole thing hilarious but it is having an effect so she starts moving forward. Of course now her personal riot police have to step up their game.

"No offense but move over or get hurt!" Link bellows, pushing some people aside with the Mirror Shield.

"Common sense folks! She's forward, you're sideways!" Zelda yells, roping a pair of kids with her chain. "The other side you two, out of the way!" She reiterates, tugging them out of her friend's path.

"Boot leather isn't your buddy!"

"We're not in the pancake business so let's keep it clear!"

"If she trips over you it'll be something you never forget believe me." Link says to an awestruck pair. "Give her some room or you'll find out for yourself." He reiterates, pushing them a bit to the side.

"Personal space is an issue here." Zelda says, shunting people out of the path they're creating. "Hers is a little more pressing than yours and I suggest you donate and move to the side."

"It's a good cause people, be generous! You don't want to see her cry do you?"

"Link!" Malon whines. "Come on!"

"See?" The hero says, pointing up at Malon's face. "Don't make her pout, have a heart!"

More than a few of the townspeople find that funny and start shuffling out of her way out of what is going to be called ‘kindness' while she actually does pout a little to humor the crowd while stifling another giggle.

Slowly but surely the crowd begins to disperse. The logic the two of them present in such a catchy way gradually sinking in until Malon can not only walk but finds a place to sit as well. It is at this time the leader of the village approaches them.

"Hello you all." The elder says by way of greeting. "I just wanted to thank you two for keeping things under control when your friend entered our humble village."

"Not a problem." Link replies.

"Thank you, Link and who are your friends?"

"I'm Malon and it's a pleasure." She says cheerily.

"And miss, you are..." The elder asks, addressing Zelda.

"You don't recognize her? She's-"

"Eve." Zelda says, cutting Link off. "Link and I met on his travels outside of Hyrule."

"Ah. Thank you and good to make your acquaintance. It's good to see sheikah are just as able and kind even outside the kingdom." She bows at his comment while he walks off to attend to town affairs.

"Why'd you do that?" Link asks.

"You think we need everyone bowing and scraping and asking questions?" Eve replies. "There's a reason I'm in disguise. Believe me it saves time."

"Why save time? We're right on schedule. Riot, next we have..."

"Fairy Boy, can I have a bite to eat?"

"A food break and I've still got a timeslot for a crisis open..."

"Funny." Eve chuckles. "If you can handle all that I'm going to check on something."

"Alright, we'll be somewhere nearby." Link starts looking for a vendor to buy out while Eve walks off.

"Impa said that there was a potion lady around here...and this may be a long shot..." The masquerading hylian finds a small building tucked in a corner of the village. "But here we go." She goes inside. Within the dark establishment dozens of bottles and beakers of all colors line the walls. A strange smell is in the air and the visitor isn't certain that she wants to know what it is. A person is sitting behind the counter, regarding her silently so she decides to go for it. "I was wondering if you could help me."

"What is it that I can do for you?" The old lady replies in a hoarse voice. "I am in the business of potion making, nothing else. What do you require?"

"I know this, it's why I'm here. I need your expertise. I have a friend who's in need of an antidote. She's much bigger than normal and I was hoping you could do something about it."

"Your friend is larger than she should be?" The chemist asks.

"By any standards yes." Eve/Zelda replies. "I've said that already. It's becoming quite the inconvenience to her."

"I imagine that's why you're here. Content people don't come looking for antidotes."

"Granted, but can you help her?"

"I'm not sure. How large is your friend?"

"I am not exactly certain-"

"Then I cannot help you."

"Surely there must be something you can do?"

"Not without an idea of what caused it. I don't give out medicine for mystery ailments. I can't see why you'd even bother to waste my time."

The would-be sheikah's eyes narrow. "I've had about enough of this lady's attitude. I want to help but she is grating on my last nerve..." She shakes it off and tries another approach. "So you need to know how tall my friend is?"

"A rough approximation, yes." The pharmacist replies.

"I am not so good at those since my best guess was pretty far off but she's right outside if you would just take a look."

A brief glance outside reveals Malon sharing lunch with Link and several of the local children, all of whom are in her lap. They are all laughing and talking while the lucky merchant is counting his windfall since not only did he sell all of his goods but didn't make change either. The potion worker nods as though it is no surprise.

"Your friend has had some magic beans it appears. I thought those died out several years ago..."

"Can you help her or not?" Eve insists, not interested in a horticulture history lesson.

"A simple remedy really." The elderly one takes a beaker of red potion and mixes it with a sickly yellow liquid. The end result is orange and bubbles slightly. "All you had to tell me was she had some magic beans and we wouldn't have had to go through all that."

"If I had known I would have told you..." The customer seethes, holding her tongue.

"Well what is important now is whether or not your friend wants to be normal again. Does she?"

"Of course she does!" She snaps.

The old one cackles at her reaction. "I'm not the one you have to convince. She has to want it for it to work."

"In that case there should be no problem I'm sure."

"Have her drink this and it should work by the end of the day." The pharmacist hands the princess the bottle of orange substance.

"Thank you." Eve takes it and leaves a tip for the service. "I don't trust this hack for one second..." She thinks, leaving the shop.

Eve rejoins her friends just as they are finishing their break. They start up the mountain trail soon enough and are traveling in silence until one of them remembers something.

"Hey Eve..." Malon asks, using Zelda's new alias. "What were you off doin'? Or is it none of my business?"

"Actually, I'm glad you reminded me." Eve pulls a bottle out of her pouch. "I asked the potion lady for an antidote. She gave me this."

"Really?" Malon sounds hopeful. "You think it'll work?"

"Not really. Something about her I don't like."

Her face falls. "But it shouldn't hurt to give it a shot, right?"

"I don't suppose so."

Malon shrugs and empties the container in one gulp. She actually briefly turns green as she bends over double. "What's that, teleport in a bottle?"

"What?" Eve is confused at the query.

"The worse it tastes, the better it works, right?" Link offers.

"Well she said it should work by the end of the day. Underline ‘should'."

"Even a little hope is better than a life sentence I guess." Malon says, getting over her nausea. "Thanks for tryin', Eve."

"If this doesn't work we'll find something. I promise." There is no reply out of their incredible comrade and they continue onward.

They're making good time up the mountain path. Smooth for the most part even the more craggy parts do little to slow them down. Surprisingly nimble over the rocks Eve/Zelda stops to give Link a hand a few times since he's got the arsenal of the Hero of Time and isn't quite as light on his feet. It goes on in relative silence like this aside from the sound of Malon taking special care to step on every Tektite and grind them for good measure for a little while until they're about halfway up the trail.

"Why are you doing that?" Eve asks, curious as to the extermination of the spiders. "What did they ever do to you?"

"What'd they ever do to me? Oh, that's a good one let me tell you..." Malon replies shaking her head with her eyes closed.

"Oh no...not that..." Link thinks to himself. "Anything but that..."

"I'm listening."

"Well I ran across a blue one the other day and I've never been a big fan of monsters but that one really crossed the line..."

"What happened?"

"It was the day I stopped by to see you. You don't want to run across one of those when you're bathing believe me."

Eve gasps. "Oh my goddesses..." She shudders at the thought with her sensibilities damaged.

"You're tellin' me. And that's not the worst of it. Would you believe that Link-"

"Do you hear that?" Link asks his companions abruptly with his ears to the wind. "Listen."

"Huh?"

"I don't hear nothin'. I was talkin' as a matter of fact, why are you interruptin'?"

"I hear something and I don't like the sound of it. Come on now, listen!" Link says imperatively. "Forget what you were talking about, please..." He prays silently.

"I think you're being rude cutting her off like that." The tan-clad one mentions. "I was listening to what she was saying."

"He's doin' it on purpose. Someone doesn't want me to say what I was about to." The enormous girl giggles at his expense. "Isn't that right?"

"It's not that!"

"Nice try, Fairy Boy."

"This is important! You have to listen!" He all but begs while pointing up the side of the mountain. "Up there!"

"As I was sayin'...would you believe that-"

"Hang on a minute, Malon. I really do hear something."

"Oh is that so?" She doesn't sound convinced.

"Shh...listen." Eve commands, perking up her ears. "Sounds like fireworks..." She guesses.

"Mmmhmm." Malon agrees, after listening a second. "Cain't imagine what the occasion is...hey you feel that?"

"Feel what?"

"Why's the ground shakin' all of the sudden?"

"Oh no..." Link moans.

"What's happening?" Eve demands. "Someone tell me!"

But there's no need for an explanation as a low rumble is swiftly growing more audible and closer with each passing second. The ground beneath them starts to quake and tremble visibly while a few stones fall from above, landing in front of them. Pebbles, harbingers of much greater things.

"AVALANCHE!" Link exclaims.

"What?" Eve can't hear over the turmoil.

Link jumps in front and draws the Megaton Hammer. As boulders start coming down the path to them he's knocking them aside or smashing them to powder with the heavy weapon. "Take cover!"

"Huh?!" The sound of the weapon striking rocks and boulders clashing overhead drowns him out. Eve is feeling disoriented as one thing she can't do is lip-read.

"He said take cover!" Malon bellows, throwing incoming boulders from above to the side and warding them off with her arms. "Can't you hear?"

"There isn't any!"

"Get behind me!"

Eve/Zelda considers moving from between Link and Malon to behind her but it's easier said than done. With Link and incoming stones darting every direction in front of her she doesn't want to get in the way and get hit by an errant swing or wandering rock. Malon behind her isn't much better. With her eyes to the sky she isn't watching where she's stepping and the last thing Eve wants is to be trampled or kicked over the edge of a cliff. But to the rear of the rockslide is safer than her current position so she makes a bid for it. Right at that moment a chain explosion resounds like a divine thunderclap from far above and knocks her from her feet. Springing back up with surprising agility she scrambles behind Link then moves to run backwards. Imagine her dread when a shadow falls over her and Link screams, flying past her to land unconscious while a boulder of phenomenal size bears down on them both. Eve closes her eyes prepared for the impromptu end and thinks it's an awful shame to be found in disguise on one's last day walking the Earth when a breeze blows by and two seconds later her teeth are still chattering so she opens an eye to see what the hold up with destiny is.

Malon is standing over her, feet planted and braced against the roaming slab of granite. "I'd think maybe you'd get a move on..." She groans with sweat and effort etched onto her face. "Take Fairy Boy and go! I'll handle this!"

Looking at the way she's struggling against the monumental stone Eve/Zelda has her doubts. Given the trenches Malon's boots are slowly but surely tearing into the ground they appear to be well-founded. "There's no telling how long she can hold out." Eve thinks. "If I go and come back it'll be too late. And if that thing finds its way into the village it'll be catastrophic..."

"What are you waitin' for?" The Atlas-enthused girl demands. "Disappear already!"

"Afraid I can't do that." Eve says, placing her hands on the stone.

"What do you think you're doin'?!"

"On three let's try to force it over to the side. One..."

"You're crazy!"

"Two..."

"What in tarnation are you still doin' here?!"

"THREE!"

"Aahhh!"

Eve/Zelda had always been telekinetic since she was young. It comes with knowing magic and it had gotten stronger over time. However she knew full well she wasn't going to be able to boost a couple dozen tons of rock with it alone. Even with Malon's help she was on the lonely side of the craps table odds wise but maybe together they could do it.

"We can do this!" Eve cries, pushing out with her magic.

"Famous last words!" Malon retorts, straining with all her might.

It isn't as easy as she made it sound that's for sure. Eve is using all of her otherworldy powers and Malon is trying to literally move a mountain with her bare hands. Even for the headache that one of them is getting and the scrapes on the fingers the other is obtaining they actually lose some ground but don't find themselves prematurely more petite for it yet. As luck would have it no epitaphs would be written that second. With a final burst of effort the pair send the behemoth boulder bouncing into Death Valley. That done they all but collapse, exhausted from the ordeal.

"That went well." Eve pants.

"You're crazier than a bedbug." Malon wheezes.

"It worked it what counts."

"No arguin' that."

Link groans and they both look his direction, having nearly forgotten about him in the madness. Eve gives him a once over while Malon does a good job of being worried.

"How is he?"

"I'm a magician and disguise artist not a doctor. He's got a bruise on his head and a scrape to go with it...but he's breathing." Eve undoes the bandage from around her elbow and ties it around Link's forehead. "He needs this more than I do and that's the best I can do for him here."

"Then we'd better get a move on." The behemoth backwoods belle picks up Link in one hand with his gear in her other one. "Let's go."

Trekking up the now cracked and broken pathway uphill the pair is making bad time. Over one of the more treacherous spots Malon hauls Eve but in interest of time just strides on with two passengers instead of putting her back down. From her new spot atop her friend's shoulder they cover a lot more ground much faster.

"You know something?" Eve says seemingly out of nowhere.

"What's that?"

"You never did finish saying what you were talking about before we got an interlude of raining stones. What was that about?"

Malon pauses, thinking of what she was talking about and looking at the unconscious Link nestled in one arm with mixed feelings. "That? It surely was the strangest thing I'd ever dealt with."

"What happened? It almost sounded like you said Link was involved with it..."

Malon laughs. "I couldn't say that. Heavens knows he'd turn hot enough to leave more burn marks on the trail than those bombs did... I don' think he'd want me to tell you either way though. Not with him not even awake to defend himself."

"Oh...now I'm dying to know. Please?"

She shakes her head. "Ask him when he wakes up. That's his call."

Eve sighs. "Spoiled sport. I bet he'll never tell."

Malon shrugs, nearly displacing the faux sheikah from her perch. "What I want him to tell me is somethin' I've been wonderin' a few minutes now since he's pretty good at thinkin' fast..."

"What's that?"

"I wonder if he was ready for somethin' like this to happen."

"You think Link's plan covered all this?"

The colossal crimson-crowned one considers it carefully. "I got a feelin' it might have and it would've been nice if he'd let us in on it."

"That's for sure."

They reach the entrance to Goron City. Ducking under the archway Malon lets Eve down and goes inside. Neither of them gets a second glance since gorons get to be pretty big it's not seen as unusual but that changes when she starts yelling. You certainly can't ignore someone who's yelling at the top of their voice if their head is that close to the ceiling to begin with so she's got the attention of the residents in no time.

"Someone take me to who's in charge here!" Malon hollers. "There's somethin' seriously wrong!"

"You're looking for Darunia?" A passing resident asks.

"Sounds about right. Is he in charge?"

"Yeah."

"Then could you take me to him or somethin'? I got a real serious issue."

He does one better and the Fire Sage comes up to see her. He double takes when he sees who's come to visit but smiles anyway.

"Hey, it's been a while." Darunia says heartily. "What's your name again?"

"Malon."

"Right, how could I forget?" He turns to her companion. "Who's your friend?"

"E-" Eve/Zelda begins.

"That's not important right now. I came to talk to you but that's on hold too. I want to know why on my way here there was an avalanche that nearly did away with us."

"I could've at least introduced myself. That wasn't called for..." Eve thinks to herself, somewhat irked at being not noted. "I am still important whether I'm a princess or not."

"Avalanche?" The goron leader looks confused.

"That's right." Malon says with a distinctly not pleased look on her face. "Rockslide, explosions, and the whole nine yards. I don't juggle boulders as a habit so start talkin'."

"But I don't know what you're talking about. I didn't schedule an avalanche."

"Look, Link just got hurt tryin' to keep us safe in all that. I want an explanation cause the side of a cliff doesn't just up and decide it wants a hug. I heard bombs goin' off plain as day. Someone wanted that piece of mountain to slide my way and I want to know why."

"I've never seen her like this." Zelda thinks. "She's livid. I know she's protective but..."

Darunia looks the definition of apprehensive with Malon glaring down at him like that. But he pulls his nerve together despite it. "I know you're angry but listen to me. I don't know what happened." Her eyes narrow more. "I really don't. It's not like I don't care but I wasn't there. You can see it's outside my control can't you?"

"Look, I may be big but I'm not dense. You may eat rocks but I don't think you're dense either. I think you're a nice person but you could be more helpful. Tell me somethin' useful."

"As much as I'd like to I can't. No one's done more for Link than you have and I appreciate that so I wouldn't have had a hand in that. I like you; someone needs to watch brother's back. Best advice I can give you is to ask Biggoron if he saw something. Rocks as big as you're talking about only come from up near the top. He lives at the peak so he may be of more use."

"My head..." Link groans.

"Welcome back, Fairy Boy." Malon replies softly. "You doin' okay?"

"Ah, perfect timing brother! Your friend was just losing patience with me."

"Ugh, what did you do now?" The savior asks, rubbing his forehead.

"I didn't do anything! But ask your friend and she thinks I tried to bury you in a rockslide just now!"

"No...he wouldn't do that. He's my brother. He'd give me a hearty pat on the back and floor me first."

"That's what I said but she didn't look too convinced."

"Oh..." Malon looks contrite. "I'm sorry for jumpin' to conclusions then. I do that sometimes and..."

"It's more than alright!" Darunia says, back in high spirits. "You left me in one piece so what's the harm?"

X

After getting Link some red medicine for his head and a new Goron Tunic since his old one burned up they're back on the trail to the peak of Death Mountain. It's around midday now and they're nearing the top and enjoying the view since not too many things are left overhead to fall on them.

"Why's my head still hurt?" Link moans, trudging up the trail. "It's ringing like a bell."

"You sure you up to walkin'?" Malon asks, anxiously. "I can carry you if you want a break."

"I'm fine."

"It's no problem so you don't have to be so stubborn."

"I'm fine." He insists.

"Don' you give me that. I got you if you're havin' trouble or feelin' dizzy. Last thing I want is you fallin' off this here mountain actin' like an obstinate mule."

"My head feels like it's been hit with a hammer, that's all."

"I would think so. You right bounced off that last rock you hit and I swore I saw that hammer of yours come back and smack you a good one."

"There needs to be medicine for headaches..."

"You need to be more careful is what I think." Zelda pipes up.

"‘Sides, if there was medicine for headaches where would I go? You want to be rid of me that badly?" The cherry-topped one makes a sad face.

"You're not a headache."

"Really?"

"Of course not. You don't have to take headaches on a tour of Hyrule. I'd have to say you're closer to an annoying little kid."

"Annoying little kid?" Malon sounds incredulous.

He sighs. "I do have to take the little part back but the rest should fit."

"But they are headaches!"

"No, they are young people."

"That give you headaches!"

"I think you have issues with kids."

Zelda/Eve is watching the exchange with growing amusement. "It's cute watching them go back and forth." She thinks with a smile to herself.

"The truth hurts doesn't it?"

"It does not!"

"So you admit it? I knew it!"

"I am not a little kid!"

"Oh, anything but little I know..." Malon growls while Link laughs.

"It is entertaining isn't it?" Comes a voice from beside Eve.

"Quite." She turns to the speaker. "You're investigating too?"

Impa nods. "You could notice commotion from the castle so I thought I would look into it."

The arguing pair notices Eve standing off to the side. Seeing Impa they decide to settle matters later.

"Good afternoon Impa."

"What brings you all the way up here?"

"The same thing you're after." The shadow sage replies. "Clues."

"Find anythin'?"

"Not really. I've got very little go on; Biggoron wasn't much help."

"I'll take it from the horse's mouth if you don't mind."

Impa shrugs. "As you like. He didn't give too much to base anything on but good luck." She turns around and vanishes in a ninja oriented flash of light.

"Biggoron should be right up here so let's see what he has to say." Link says, taking a deep breath. "Hey Biggoron!"

"Who is he talking to?" Eve asks.

"Beats me." Malon agrees. "If you're trying to get ‘em to come out of the cave over there maybe you should yell into it instead of up at that cliff."

"He is out here already. Impa was just talking to him so I know he's not sleeping." Link takes another deep breath. "Hey Biggoron you're not fooling anyone!"

"He's foolin' me." Malon says.

"Unless he's invisible no one's here."

"Come on, you're making me look stupid!" Link pleads. "I'm not going to buy any more stuff from you if you keep this up."

"You hardly ever buy anything." Comes a gravelly voice that echoes off the granite around them.

"That's not the point. This shouldn't take long anyway. Humor me."

"This makes three times in the last hour that my nap's been interrupted." An immense goron face comes into view over the edge of the cliff Link was yelling at. "What do you want?" The rock eater asks crankily.

"Basically what you know about the avalanche that happened just a little while ago."

"The sheikah lady just asked me that. Why didn't you get her to tell you what I said?"

"Because my friends wanted to hear it straight from you."

"Fine but tell them to stop gawking, it's impolite. Wake someone up then make google eye faces at them, no manners..."

"Hey could you two tone it down, I think you're bothering him." Link requests.

"But the mountain's talkin'..." Malon says in an amazed voice.

"Oh goddesses..."

"Well the mountain won't keep talking with you staring at him like that. Save your awe for later." He turns back to Biggoron. "I thought your name would be a dead giveaway. I didn't think they'd be like this."

"It's okay, I'm awake now. It's not like I have anything better to do even if they don't put their eyeballs back into their heads."

"I didn't think I could feel small without an antidote..."

"I never..."

"Don't pay any attention to them." Link says dismissively. "Tell me what you saw."

"You know my eyes aren't so great. Especially in daylight."

"I know. Most gorons live underground where it's dark so bright light isn't that good for you. Just as best as you can describe."

"Well first it was what I heard. I heard Bomb Flowers going off. Lots of them real close together. Bomb Flowers only grow in clusters of up to three in an area usually so if that many as I heard went off someone was setting them."

Link nods. "Did you see who it was?"

"I know they were a bright color. It was too bright for me to make out any details. They were moving fast too. They even set this one cliff to fall all by themselves. I was going to snack on it later too..."

"You've got no kind of description except really bright?"

"If it happened at night I'd be better able to tell you."

"How about tall, short, fat, thin?" Biggoron shakes his head to them all. "No idea?"

"I'm sorry."

"Did they drop anything, leave anything behind?"

"I don't think they had anything with them but they did leave some footprints..."

"Show me." Link commands.

"...but they're gone now." Biggoron points. "But they left them right here and a few other places..."

"Right here?" Link points. "How would they leave footprints here? It's solid rock."

The vast goron shrugs. "That's all I saw. After they got finished they ran down the mountain and were just gone."

"You can't leave footprints in rock unless you press real hard...I know cause I just did it myself..." Malon muses. "And those don't just go away."

"Footprints of any kind don't just vanish into thin air." Eve agrees.

"These ones do. Them and whatever did them too."

"Thanks for your help." Link says. "Get some rest."

"Okay. I hope it was useful." Biggoron turns back over and returns to sleep.

X

Back on their way down the mountain the sun is hanging low in the sky. The trio is understandably tired given the disaster earlier. With no leads on it and the primary goal accomplished they are going home.

"Link, I got a question." Malon asks, breaking the silence.

"Go for it."

"I didn't come up here lookin' to start no trouble but earlier I may have went overboard with your brother...do you think he took it the wrong way?"

"I doubt it. He doesn't scare easily and like you said, he's not stupid. He could see where you were coming from I'm pretty certain."

"Really? Cause if you hadn't woke up when you did I'm not sure what would've happened..." Link laughs at the thought. "What's so funny?" She asks, sounding annoyed at being made light of.

"You." He replies, still chuckling.

"Why? I could've lost my temper and that would've been bad."

"You could've lost your temper but as to how bad it would've been, ha."

"I think he had a pretty good handle of what I was capable of or he wouldn't have been so nervous."

"Nah."

"Nah? What do you mean ‘nah'? I could've- hey, stop laughing!"

"I'm sorry." He's still smiling. "You're funny sometimes, you know that?"

"It's not a laughing matter."

"It may not be for you but I'm getting my share, that's for sure."

"You're not makin' sense."

"Well I know you better than my brother does. What he thought you were capable of and what I know you were capable of are two different things."

"What do you mean by that?" There's no doubt she's offended now.

"Tell me what you would've done if I hadn't stepped in."

"Well, you know..." Malon says with noticeable unease.

"I must not." He replies, shaking his head with palms up. "Let me in on it."

"Umm...I was getting pretty riled so I'd have done somethin' rash..."

"Like what?"

"You wouldn't have liked it believe me."

"Oh really? If you're so big and bad why don't you just tell me?"

"..." Link chuckles lightly at her lack of a response. "It's not funny!" She says petulantly.

"I'm going to guess if I hadn't woken up you'd have probably made Darunia and most of the city half-deaf. You'd have raised some righteous hell to get a response but that's about it."

"How you know?"

"Because I know you. You aren't impulsive and violent."

"Says you."

"You'd have to have caught him bashing me over the head with a boulder to just freak out and try to snap him in two like he was thinking."

"..."

"Am I right?"

Malon sighs. "I suppose you are."

"He can be a knucklehead sometimes but I didn't think you'd jump all over brother for it."

"Being a knucklehead must run in the family."

"So? Your point?"

"You're silly."

He shrugs. "I thought I was a hero..."

"I thought you were a kokiri but I guess I was wrong on that. Things happen like that sometimes."

"I thought you were a little kid but...wait I think I still do..."

"Stop that."

"Can't do that. It's all about truth, justice and the balance of the Triforce." He says, striking a pose in front of them. "Truth's a part of my duty."

"I'm gonna have to add lookin' silly to that."

"Hey!"

"Please do." Eve agrees. "That was hardly called for." She giggles.

"Come on!"

"Call it like I see it. I have to tell the truth; the Hero of Time is my role model."

"..."

"I wanna be just like him when I grow up, like any other little kid."

Eve giggles again. "You two never quit."

"Of course not! Who else would bother?"

"Even though the pay's lousy we're always on."

"She's just mad she gets paid in vatagebles."

"Vegetables." Malon corrects. "An' they say my accent's bad..."

They go back and forth all the way down the mountain. It's like a comedy act. They're poking and prodding each other just for fun and by the time they get to the bottom of the path she's got him over one shoulder hanging upside down for some reason and he's still making smart remarks despite bouncing around staring at the ground. As they arrive at Kakariko the sun finally dips below the horizon and the light-hearted mood changes as Malon sighs.

"Something wrong up there? Link asks. "I'd have a better idea but I'm too busy memorizing what the ground looks like."

"Well the day's over and I'm still up here. Guess that potion's a bust." The still statuesque girl replies.
"I can't say I had that much confidence in it." Zelda/Eve mentions. "I'm sorry I bought it."

"It's okay, I had to hope. I just thought somethin' that tasted so horrible had to work."

"Looks like it didn't feel the same way." Link sighs upside down.

"Ah well. It's not so bad. At least I'm used to it." Neither Link now Zelda are convinced of that but they know better than to bother her about it further. It's hard enough as it is they can both agree.

"I'm about to go home, want me to drop you two off?" Zelda offers.

"No, thank you." Malon replies all to quickly. "Appreciate the offer though."

"She doesn't do nausea well as you may have guessed." Link explains. "Which I must be good at since I haven't lost my lunch bouncing around looking down the last fifteen minutes."

"Ah, I see. Well take care on your way home you two. Set him back right side up, too." The princess says with a grin. "Good night." She vanishes in a flash of green.

"You didn't have to tell her." Malon says.

"You know she was curious."

"If I wanted her to know I could've told her."

"You took a couple drops of medicine and went all grass-colored on us earlier. She'd have figured it out anyway."

"I could've lived with that."

"I suspect you'll live with this." Malon snorts at that statement. "Don't disappoint me." Link says with a smirk.

"Let's go, you." She gets started walking back to the ranch.

"Hey, let me down would you?"

"I don't think so."

"At least turn me back over the right way!"

"I'm thinkin' you'll live through it." She giggles. "So no."

"Aww, come on! The princess told you to!"

"Is she here?"

"No..."

"Then I suppose you'll survive..." She giggles again as he groans. "If you'd been awake you'd know we had a nice conversation about that lil' bathin' incident the other day..."

"You didn't..."

Malon smiles fiendishly. "Wouldn't I? I'm big and bad aren't I?"

Link's face falls. "..."

"Oh, come on! You know me better than that." She stops giving him that insane hundred-watt grin for a second. "I know it'd have made you all but die if I tol' her. It took me a second to catch myself at first though. I gotta say I think that rockslide may have saved your life." She giggles yet again. "And you're up here tellin' her I got a weak stomach. I didn't tell her you like peepin'..."

"I don't!" He protests righteously.

"I could rephrase what I said and say that you like what you saw...but I'm not goin' to. I don't think I need you to have a heart attack right here upside down. You must think I'm not so quick if I didn't figure out what all you were on about when you nearly fell out the other day..."

"..."

"You're a lot of things...and an adorable shade of red is one when you're bein' all embarrassed. But I wouldn't dare do that to you in front of anybody too badly. There's a limit to teasin' and bein' out and out hurtful. As it was, she did ask about it while you were takin' that lil nap but I tol' her either you'd explain it or that would be it cause it was out of my hands. I wouldn't do that to you. It's your decision, hon. It'd be plain wrong for me to tell her somethin' like that without your permission. I'd have to dig a hole and get a head start to be that low to turn round and betray you like that."

"Why'd you scare me like that though?" Link asks with visible relief, even though still upside down.

"Cause it was funny to see you worried about somethin' other than me for a change. You looked like you caught a terrible fright when I said me and the princess had been talkin' and I couldn't resist."

"You spend way too much time picking with me you know that?"

"I don' have much else to do, sugar. All I do is sit on my butt most of the time nowadays, what else can I do?" She asks innocently.

Link isn't fooled by her angel act. "You can put me down first."

"Alright..." She does as requested. "But I do wonder what Zelda would think if she knew about that...it would make for interestin' talk the next time she's feelin' like tea wouldn't it?" He makes a face best compared to one of a person who's just swallowed a live fish whole. "There's that face again! You're so cute on the spot like that, Fairy Boy."

"Quit..." He says in a defeated tone. "You win already."

Malon sighs. "You're no fun. I always win." But even with what's she's said there is still an insistent smile tugging at her face the rest of the walk home and Link can't help but share it as they walk back to the ranch to turn in.

X

In Zora's Hall one person is getting ready to take a nap. Having been busy most of the day and still not managing to accomplish her goal she is both exasperated and exhausted.

"That girl does not know when to quit! Jeez is she a pain..." Ruto flops onto her bed. "Need another plan, she's so persistent...but I need a nap first." The aqua princess falls asleep easily given how tired she is.

Suddenly she's sitting on the shore of Lake Hylia. It's around late afternoon with the sun at a low point in the sky. It's a reddish orange cast scene and the shadows dance in a way on the water that is beautiful. She can see Link off to one side looking at the horizon. So she calls out to him so they can share this beautiful time together.

"Link, my love!" Ruto calls. "Beloved, over here!"

The hylian does not respond. It's like he's too focused on his task to hear her. He's still looking skyward as she keeps yelling.

"Can't he hear me?" Ruto wonders. "Ah well, I'll go to him." She shrugs and stands but feels a tap on her shoulder. "What?"

"Someone's not payin' attention."

Ruto turns around. "You..." She says in an utterly disgusted tone. "Get away from me."

"It's apparent he's not listenin' to you." Malon continues. "I suggest you take a hint and jus' sit back down."

"You wish."

"I don' got to wish. Hey Link hon! Come over here!" His head turns as the red-haired girl calls his name and he smiles before heading her direction. "I already got him." She says with a smile back at the zora.

"You thief..." Ruto says, glaring at the shorter hylian. "That's impossible."

"Cain't steal somethin' that was mine to begin with."

"Link is mine. It is destiny. You can't dispute it."

Malon giggles. "Really?"

"You don't even have a shred of hope with him."

"Oh is that right?" The farm girl says looking back up at Ruto with that same warm smile. "Then why is he wrapped around my little finger?" She holds up her right hand and sure enough Link is there clinging to her pinky now. "He looks pretty mine to me."

"Trickery!"

"No trick. I can't give him to you. Hold your hand out." Malon tries to shake Link off into Ruto's waiting hands. The green clad one holds tighter than glue on a closed vice with a terrified look on his face. "I cain't even make him go near you. That's not my fault."

"You're trying to turn him against me!"

"I'm not tryin' to do anythin'. I'd read the writin' on the wall if I were you."

"I won't let anything come between Link and I."

"You never had a chance."

Ruto takes this time to go completely ballistic and tackles Malon before she can react. In seconds they're on the ground with the zora trying to choke her.

"The truth hurts, doesn't it?" Malon taunts in a strangled gasp. She smiles a fiendish smile next. "Doesn't it?"

"Shut up!" She tightens her grip.

"Doesn't it?"

"Shut up!" Her fingers hurt they're entangled so tight. But the echoes won't just go away. Not until her opponent's eyes finally close and the smile fades is there silence. Then just as suddenly as it began the dream is over. Ruto awakes feeling refreshed and recharged.

"If only it were that easy." She mumbles.