- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

"Knowlege is not a subsitute for experience."

Zelda, holder of the Triforce of Wisdom

Back on Lon Lon Ranch the chores are getting done but slowly by the lone worker and proprietor of the farm no less. And he isn't pleased about it in the slightest you can be sure.

"First she got some kind of dinin' thingy to go to then she says she's going to be busy with that Link feller the next few days. If I'm the one goin' to be doin' all the work round here may as well fire that Link guy if you ask me..." Talon stops a moment in his task of feeding the animals. "Wait a second, do we pay him? Cause if we don't maybe I shouldn't complain. I can't be too sure..." He resumes feeding the animals and wonders idly if he's ever had anyone on the payroll.

"That'd explain why Ingo quit..."

X

Outside the forest Malon and company have finally managed to arrive. The sun is low in the sky but there's still some dusk left. Zelda dismounts clumsily with Link's help, as Epona doesn't have any immediate plans of going into the enchanted wood. Malon is examining the passage to the area and concluding that it may not have been meant to accommodate her while all eyes are on Link since he's from the forest.

"We're here." He says. "Follow me."

The ladies behind him do as directed. Zelda pulls off her shoes since she can't hope to walk with them in that state and Malon bends down nearly double to avoid overhanging branches. After negotiating the bridge by walking beneath it they're in the forest.

"Wow..." Malon whispers. "It's beautiful..."

"Indeed." Zelda affirms. "So quiet and peaceful here."

"This is my home." The kokiri-raised man looks around. "Wonder where everyone is..." He goes to check Saria's house. No answer. "Hmm..." He pulls out his ocarina and begins to play. His companions look at him strangely until he stops as suddenly as he began. "She's in the Lost Woods so follow me. I really don't think you want to wander around in there forever so stay close."

"Be serious, Link. It can't be forever." The princess scoffs. "It can't be that bad."

"It has happened before. Ask the skull kids if you want. Believe me, they don't call it the ‘Lost Woods' because we can't find the trees." The avatar of wisdom smirks. "Stay close is all I have to say."

"How'd you figure out where she was?" Malon asks, not concerned about losing her way. "Your ocarina tell you?"

"In a way it did. That song I played is her song and we can use it to communicate."

"Interesting enchantment." The resident sorceress is impressed. "I'll have to ask her about it sometime."

"Well before we go see her I want to see this treehouse of yours you're always talkin' about."

"Ah, that. Right this way."

In a little clearing by itself atop one of the taller sycamores is Link's abode. He and Zelda start up the ladder while Malon is busily inspecting the outside. It looks even less impressive showing it to a pair of adults and he almost feels ashamed as he ducks under the doorway and helps Zelda inside.

"You sure weren't kiddin' when you said it was small." The immense girl notes, checking another angle. "I've seen bigger outhouses."

"Yeah well it worked fine when I wasn't taller than the Master Sword..."

"That's a long time ago, hon. You need to relocate. I know just the place, too." Malon smiles a silly smile watching his eyebrows raise. "And the bed fits too, as I'm sure you've noticed. Leastaways I don't recall hearin' no complaints..." She giggles while he doesn't make a response.

Zelda ignores the two of them and is examining the living area. "It's a mess in here, do you ever clean this place?" She inquires.

"...no..." He replies with a sigh.

"Socks, papers, seeds, dishes...you can do better than that." The princess shakes her head. "Deku sticks leaning everywhere, sheets on the floor- oh how'd you pull this off?"

Her eyes have opened wide and she sounds startled as though she's seen a ghost.

"Do what princess?" He turns to see what his houseguest is staring at. It's Bessie that's the subject of scrutiny. "Umm, it got delivered..." It's plain to see that isn't enough explanation for Zelda who is giving him the most disturbing looks for his lame excuse. "Well it did..." He says, copping out.

"There's a cow in here! There's no-, it, how?"

"Wait one minute, did you just say what I thought you did?" Malon asks from outside.

"That there's a cow in here? I believe I did."

"Hold up, I thought he was kiddin' when he said it ended up in his room." She peers into the window. "Saints alive how did you do that?!"

"I didn't do it!" Link protests.

"It should be fallin' though the floor..."

"How'd it get through the door?"

"You're the one with the Triforce of Wisdom; you tell me." The embodiment of intellect gives him a chilling look. "Why you looking at me like that? I don't know!"

"Link how did you-"

"Don't ask me questions I can't answer." The farmer has her lips poised for a stream of them but falls silent by his request. "Let's just go see Saria, okay?"

This seems to be fine by his companions. How he cares for a cow trapped in a room twenty feet plus above ground in a room the size of a large closet that can't possibly support it is a question left for another time by unanimous decision. A brief walk through the Lost Woods on Link's heels (and Zelda stepping on them to stay nearby despite her show of bravado at the legend) finds them at the lagoon and with Saria waiting for them.

"What took you so long?" The forest girl asks. "I know you didn't get lost."

"These two wanted to see my room and-" Link begins by way of explanation.

"You know how he got that cow in there?" Malon bursts out. "I just gotta know."

"I don't have a clue. I'm curious too." Saria admits.

"There's no natural way..." Zelda says for the fifth time in the last ten minutes.

"I done been on it the last few minutes and still cain't figure it out."

The forest girl shrugs. "I did have to sneak out of a game of hide-n-snare to come see you." She says, removing a rope from around her leg. "You have something you wanted to talk about?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I've been so stuck on someone getting a half-ton animal up a ladder, through a kiddie door and in the corner of a doghouse I nearly forgot. Forgive me, sweetie."

Saria giggles. "It's okay." She looks at Malon expectantly. "Do you remember?"

"Where my mind was? It's in a lil' hut up a tree with a heifer inside but I'm gettin' it out of there. I remember what I came to talk about. It was about what happened at the lake."

The emerald-haired one is immediately crestfallen. "I'm sorry. I really am."

"No, no..."

"I've left Link alone. I know my place. I'm not trying to cause any more trouble..." She gets up to leave.

"You mind sittin' down and bein' quiet a minute or two? I came to say somethin' and ain't got three words in edgewise yet."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Stop sayin' that already!"

"I'm- okay." Saria takes a seat.

"I said a lot of things that day and what I said to you was flat out wrong."

"Wrong? How?" The kokiri is perplexed.

What Malon was going to say as a reply was lost as another member of the woods tribe came flying in and started yelling. "Here she is!" In short order nearly two-dozen other forest children pile in. "Why'd you leave?"

"I have to talk with a friend of mine." Saria explains. "Could we have some time alone?" The other kids look disappointed.

"Aww..."

"No fair!"

"Who are you?" One of the girls asks on the way out.

"My name's Malon, nice to meet you all." She says politely. Of course a deluge of questions follows since she's paying attention and they all stop filing out to launch them.

"Are you from outside the forest?"

"What happened to you?"

"Are you magical?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Can we play with you?"

"Whoa, one at a time kids." Malon says, trying to get some order. "I'm not from around here and what happened to me is a long story; blame Link."

"Hey!" The hero isn't content with being named the reason and the children crowd him next.

"Do me!"

"Me next!"

"I want a turn!"

"Only works once, sorry guys." Link replies. "Can't help you." Amid their disappointed groans yet again he feels relief. "Last thing we need is more of that. One is enough." He thinks to himself.

"Can we play with you?" One of the tree children asks again.

"I really came to talk with Saria..." Malon hedges.

"Please?"

"Pretty please?"

"Be nice!"

"I hate to tell you to go but..." Twenty-two sad pairs of eyes meet Malon's own. She doesn't have the heart to tell them no. "Aww, why not?"

Link sighs while Saria looks exasperated with her forehead resting in one hand. Even Zelda shakes her head at the redhead's decision. But it's too late for her to take it back. They've already got her surrounded and climbing up her dress and arms. A pair has started a race up her pigtails and moving now may not be the easiest thing. She's willing to play it off despite her new role as playground though even if she has to talk louder to be heard over happy children.

"When you asked how it was wrong I was tryin' to tell you that it just was, no excuse." She catches an elf kid in one hand falling from her shoulder already. "I didn't have a right to say what Link was and can be to you. And you should be more careful." She says, setting the adventurous kokiri down.

"But he doesn't want to play games that often and I do irritate him sometimes...what you said was right." The forest sage sounds sad.

"Next person pull on my ear gets tossed in the water, kay?" The lady doubling as a jungle gym turns her attention back to Saria. "A lot of things are irritatin' believe me hon. I could list ‘em but I think you catch my point."

"It's not that bad, Saria." Link mentions, trying to console her. "Really."

"Shush you." Malon commands, tossing one of the ear-pulling kids into the lagoon absently. "I'm talkin' to her; don't be rude." She turns her attention back to the forest sage. "You're missing somethin' babe."

"Huh?"

"I said what I did and-" She plucks two climbers off the front of her dress and puts them on the ground. "-you just cut Link right out of your life. You two- ow." Another pair of Deku kids sail into the water. "-used to be really close then that just stopped. Irritation is minor but that is major."

"It's not your fault if I took what you said the right way..." Saria whispers.

"No I- I-" Malon giggles then plucks an elf from her neck who was trying to find way under her chin. This one makes a fourth splash in the water. "Don't tickle while someone's talkin'; ain't you all got any manners?" She's back with the young wood elemental relatively quickly. "Like I was sayin'...no it's not your fault; it's mine for saying it."

"That doesn't mean I didn't do the right thing..."

"I'm gonna hold you upside down a while since you must like the water. You're lucky I don't pull on your ear little boy." The outsized hylian turns back to Saria. "You fairy kids got some kind of issues with listenin', you know that?"

"What? Why?"

"Well I can say the same thing over and over and you not listen. Tol' this one to stop pullin' on my ear. Then I flung him into the water. Then I flung him and his buddy into the water. Ow, and I bet this is him now." She plucks a Deku boy from her earlobe and looks him over. "Mmmhmm." He traces a lazy arc into the water as she continues talking. "So now I'ma hol' this one upside down and see if he gets the message. Even Link is affected by it though."

"Hey, I listen!" He protests.

"Who was talkin' to you then?" He says nothing. "Must be something with these trees round here that makes you hard of hearin'. As for you, this'll be the fourth time I'll be done tried to say what I said was wrong so listenin' to it must be wrong too."

"Ah, I'm sorry."

"And this makes the third time I'll be done tol' you to quit sayin' that." She finds another person on her ear and sends him airborne. "See what I'm getting at here? I mean the others are content on the ground running circles around me, playin' on my dress like a trampoline or climbing my hair. I said the same thing to all of them; some of you are just hard-headed."

"I'm not trying to be and I'm sorry if I'm irritating you."

"If I had a clothespin I'd have to use on you for that so count yourself lucky, hon." After considering her words the tree tribe leader sighs and nods since an apology is not the answer. "You're sharp, you know that Saria?"

"Thank you."

"How'd you get branches and leaves in your hair?" One boy asks, after climbing to the top of her head.

"Cause some of the trees round here are kinda short and I bump my head on em."

"Oooh"

"Pull some of them out while you're up there would you?"

"Sure!" He gets right on yanking foliage out of the red locks. "Thanks a bunch, sugar." Regarding Saria again she continues. "It's not about whether what I said was right or wrong. It's whether I made you do somethin' you didn't want to. If you and Link have issues or irritate each other that's somethin' you two have to work out. It wasn't somethin' I should've intervened in." Someone comes tumbling off of the top of her head into waiting hands. "I'd have thought you'd have learned by now not to stand up if you can't balance..." She says, setting him down. "But thanks for helpin' me out." She gives him a peck on the forehead and watches him turn red as a ripe apple. "Tee hee!"

"Ah...I think I understand."

"I thought you might. I just wanted to be sure your feelings weren't hurt. That wasn't what I was out to do that day. My first concern was for Link."

Saria nods. "I'm glad we were able to talk about it."

The colossal country girl smiles. "I'm just happy you understand." She sets down a certain light-headed Deku boy and looks around. "Mind getting your buddies off me or am I spendin' the night?" She says, lifting a hand with kokiri hanging from each finger.

"Alright everyone, Malon has to leave." A collective "Aww..." is heard through the crowd.

"So say good bye and let's let her go."

"Goodbye Malon." They chirp in unison like any good first-grade class before filing out.

"It was a pleasure talkin' with you, Saria." Malon adds, moving to stand.

"Likewise." The forest sage departs.

"Maybe I'll-" The titanic teenager slips on wet grass as she's speaking. Apparently some of the kids made more of a splash than she thought and she's having a hard time finding purchase on slick ground. Link is a little too close and barely gets his shield up in time to collide with a massive foot encased in a boot that does a darn good battering ram impression. He flies several feet and lands at the water's edge where familiar eyes meet is own then vanish into deeper water leaving just his reflection.

"Link, are you alright?" Zelda asks, at his side immediately.

"Uhh...I'm okay. Head's ringing but you all don't have to worry."

"Are you certain?"

"Yeah, and how do all four of you do that thing where you all talk at once? That's cool."
Malon giggles in spite of herself. "I'm sorry Fairy Boy. I think clumsy is goin' round. I know where I got it from." Zelda looks guilty but says nothing.

"It's okay. Being clumsy is alright, just warn me next time."

X

Outside the forest night has already fallen. The trio is outside preparing for the trek back. It's a starry night but the moon isn't out and it is a bit dark considering. Their destination isn't even visible in the slightest given the night shadow and that just makes it feel farther away since they're planning on walking back.

"I really don't relish the thought of walkin' all the way back right now." Malon admits.

"Even I'm a lil' bit on the tired side at the moment."

"You did just serve as a children's playground. That may have been a bit enervating." Zelda mentions.

"I am surely beat."

"That makes two of us." Link agrees. "But as much as I'd love to let you spend the night I don't think I've got the space."

"You've got a cow up in there so you might be able to fit me in too."

"I don't think so."

"I don' see why not."

"Because it's impossible?" Link offers.

"I wouldn't say that much, sweetheart. I done seen my reflection and a cow up a tree so I done see it all."

The princess laughs. "She's got you there."

"Fine, whatever you say. I'll be out of a place to sleep listening to you."

"Should be out of one now but I'll leave it alone. We got a whole lot of walkin' ahead of us."

"Maybe you don't." Zelda says.

"Hmm?"

"Really you don't have to princess-"

"Zelda." She insists.

"-Zelda, we'll be fine." Link assures her.

"What are you two on about?"

"I could try to teleport you back."

"That isn't necessary-"

"For the love of a clothespin you jus' don't know when to be quiet do you? I am dog-tired. I don't know about you." Malon looks over at Zelda. "But I'm not quite the normal person; are you sure you can handle it?"

"Not really but I'll try."

"That's good enough for me. Whenever you're ready."

"Okay." Zelda takes a deep breath. "Here goes."

"This isn't-" There's a green flash. "-safe we'd be better off walk..." Link looks around. Standing at the gate to Lon Lon ranch with his friends all intact he trails off.

"Thank you so much Zelda. I might've dropped off somewhere in the field to sleep if we'd hoofed it again."

The sorceress smiles. "Glad to help. It's the least I can do to thank you for allowing me to come with you today."

"Not a problem; you're always welcome. If you plan on dressing better I'd say come back tomorrow. Got another trip planned and it's always more fun with another. If you aren't too busy maybe you can come with us."

"I think I'll take you up on that. Enjoy the rest of your evening you two." The princess bows and vanishes in a green flash of Farore's Wind.

"Who are you going to see tomorrow?" Link asks. "You didn't tell me who."

"Hol' on a sec Fairy Boy..." Malon bends over, holding her abdomen. "Teleportin' make you stick to the stomach too?"

"It used to. The nausea goes away if you do it more often."

"More often? I'll pass." She grimaces at the thought.

"You still didn't tell me where you planned on going tomorrow."

"To see your Goron brother. We got a little to talk about."

"Darunia? I think we can visit Biggoron while we're in the area too."

"Okay, fine." She groans and wants to fall over. "Ooo...I'ma skip dinner tonight."

X

In the palace of Hyrule Impa waits in the princess's quarters for her to appear. It has grown quite late and she's beginning to worry. Pacing doesn't suit her but there is a first time for everything and she's attempting to work a groove into the floor in her apprehension.

"Where is she?" The shadow sage wonders. "Link wouldn't let anything happen to her but I don't know what would take her so long..."

As if on cue a flash of green and a slight dusty breeze occupies the center of the room. At the epicenter of the magical current stands a bedraggled woman with the strangest look on her face.

"Princess I was worried! What took you so long?" Impa springs to her feet. "How was your day?" She takes a second look at her charge. "What happened to you?"

Zelda says nothing, standing holding her mangled and muddy footwear with stockinged feet on cold marble. She simply blinks for a couple more seconds then walks into her bathroom without a word. It's very odd of the princess and it's confusing her caretaker.

"Zelda?"

In the bathroom the princess is looking at a full-length mirror. The person staring back looks the farthest thing from royal. In ripped stockings and a tattered dress that's any color but pink and white complete with a crooked excuse for a crown sitting askew adorning dirty hair that falls around a dingy face without even so much as a hairpin left in it to keep it in check she laughs a little in spite of it at the image.

"Zelda, are you alright?" Impa insists, from outside the door. "Please answer."

She goes to run water for an overdue bath. "I'm fine."

"Are you certain? You seem different."

"Really I'm okay." The door opens and clothing comes flying out. "Burn that would you please?"

"As you wish. But how was your day?"

"I survived it, that's all I can tell you."

Impa shrugs and goes to do as requested leaving Zelda alone in her quarters with a lot of hot, soapy water. She takes this time to reflect on her day while leisurely cleaning up.

"I wanted to learn what made Link and Malon such great friends. And to some extent I have. Her and I happen to be very different and I hate to admit it but some of those differences make her more compatible with him than I am."

Zelda stops thinking for a moment and listens. She can hear servants in her room sweeping her grimy footprints away and laying out fresh, clean clothes for her to sleep in. Perks of being a princess and she smiles a little at the thought before returning to the matter at hand.

"She's kind and gentle. She may be tactless but the last thing she is trying to do it is hurt someone. She's got an amazingly light touch physically and is easy to talk to. I suppose that is the crux of how she's easier to be around than I am. But why can she do these things when I can't? It's something I've almost got an idea on but I'm missing something key..." Zelda soaks in the water twenty more minutes with no more epiphanies. She's out of the tub and just finishing getting dressed for bed when it comes to her. Rather, when she picks it up.

"This...I'm not like her and this is why..." The princess realizes holding a new decorative golden headband. "I wasn't raised to be what she is because of what I am."

Zelda sits on the bed and sets the crown on the nightstand. The three jewels set in its center gleam in the moonlight dull azure, vermillion, and celadon dancing on the walls in the semi-darkness. This time the colors of the goddesses of Hyrule offer no solace and not for the first time does she wish the cursed circlet away. Yet her request to change her fate and bloodline is not heeded so the reality remains immobile, with a small glint of each color dotting her.

"She's able to be all these things because she is humble, patient and compassionate. As a princess it is hard to be humble when everyone bows before you. I've lost some of what it means to be humble and that makes it hard to connect with others. I wasn't raised to be patient. Everyone snaps to the words of a princess and I've come to expect that. I can be anywhere I want when I want doing whatever I want; how could someone remain humble through that?" She sighs, as the realization is disheartening. "There's no way I could've done what she did with those children. It would've driven me up a wall to have them all over me as though I'm some kind of commoner playmate and I would have made them leave. She just smiled and bore with it even when they were getting in the way. I would've lost my patience long before; I'm no babysitter." She gets up and pulls the curtain all but closed to keep some of the wind out. Now just a ray of light gets into the room and refracts off of the sapphire in the crown. She shakes her head and gets back into bed under the covers.

"She has compassion that I do not. She has a sense of empathy that is amazing. She can pick up on bad vibrations in a way that's almost uncanny. I can barely stop focusing on how I feel long enough to come close to that while she can tell how I'm feeling just by looking at me. When I was on the run Impa taught me tricks of how to be a sheikah and to be wary. That I need to trust my instincts and watch out for myself. Though I felt sympathy and pain for the plight of my people she warned me that if I were captured before my job was done all would be lost. For seven years I know I was self-centered and for the guise I put on I couldn't let on that I worried every moment for Link. He couldn't know who I was or it could've messed with his drive and focus. He didn't need to worry about me; his attention needed to be on the task at hand. It's not that I didn't care but I didn't ask how he was doing I admit that. I couldn't be there for him like Malon was I understand that. Though I don't want to accept it I realize that deep down I was more worried for my people and the fate of my kingdom than I was for him. I guess that's selfish in its own way. I didn't show the kind of compassion a person should when the truly care for someone and that is probably my biggest mistake and what sets Malon and I furthest apart. I didn't and she did." Zelda rolls over and stares at the crown and the pale blue beam emanating from it asking her patron goddess one question.

"How can I make up for that?"

X

In the halls of the Zora one person is in a foul mood once again. She's off to complain to her father and even though he can see her coming there's no escape. Something about being in the same spot all the time makes it easy to find you. So he takes a deep breath and prepares for the worst. When she plops down next to him pensively he acknowledges her to get it over with.

"Ruto, what has you in such a mood?" The leader of the aquatic race asks, already privy to the likely reason.

"He took her to the Kokiri Forest and they had a picnic in Hyrule Field. They spent the whole day together!"

"Ah, this is what bothers you?"

"Of course it is! He's mine, daddy! She can't do that!"

"She just did." He thinks silently. "The word ‘mine' must mean different things to different people."

"I tried to show Link she's clumsy and dangerous but he didn't care. He said he didn't mind clumsiness."

"What exactly did you do to show him that?"

"I put water on the ground so she slipped and fell. She tripped right into him though I didn't want that to happen..."

"That wasn't very nice."

"All's fair in love and war. You told me that."

"Ah, did I?" She nods. "I must be getting forgetful but of course you're right. Sometimes being nice doesn't work. So you'll have to find another way to get her out of the picture."

"Like what?" Ruto asks eagerly.

"I don't have the slightest. You'll have to use your own discretion on that. My only advice is be resourceful."

"I can do that but you don't have any ideas?"

The king zora shrugs. "Whatever works is all I can say."

Ruto stands looking like she's thinking very hard. "Thanks Daddy...I think..." She wanders off to her quarters preoccupied.

"You're always welcome my dear. Just be careful."

"I'll try." She turns a corner and disappears.

"I'm not sure if this is going to turn out well..."