- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is a bit of a shorter chapter, not as much action. However, there’s another chapter coming right after it!

********
The first three weeks of school were almost over, just one more afternoon before the weekend arrived. Alex packed up her bag as the bell rang and hopped onto the waiting palm beside her, eliciting a smile from Lily as she lifted her into the air.

“Aren’t you excited, Alex?” Lily chimed as they walked down the hallway. “I’m so glad all our schedules finally worked out for a study session!”

Alex glanced up at Lily and gave a thumbs up, knowing the clammer of the crowded hall would have drowned out her voice had she tried to verbally respond.

“And I’m soooo excited that Hannah could make it! We haven’t seen her since we moved schools, I wonder what we’ve missed out on back there...” Lily’s voice trailed off as her thoughts wandered a bit, the activity of getting on the bus proving to be a bit much for the airhead girl.

Sighing, Alex stomped her foot against Lily’s thumb to get her attention. For someone so intelligent, Lily was easily lost in the vast space between her ears sometimes, and occasionally it took a tiny kick in the hand to bring her back down to earth.

“Oh, sorry,” Lily mumbled as she focused for a moment and grabbed a seat. “I’ve just been looking forward to us all getting together all week!”

The chatter on the bus was quieter than before, giving Alex the chance to speak. “I know we all want to play catch-up, but remember that tonight is supposed to be a STUDY session, not just a slumber party.”

Lily giggled as Alex crossed her arms in mock annoyance. “Don’t worry, Al, we’ll get some work done tonight too, I promise.” She bit her lip for a moment, her mind retreating within itself once more as she gazed out the window. Alex recognized that look, and braced herself between Lily’s index and middle fingers. As her nerdy friend drifted off in thought, her hand drooped slightly, gently shaking Alex in her grasp. The tiny teenager kept her balance well enough, having learned to not get dropped by her nerdy friend when she zoned out like that.

The ride home was uneventful, especially for Alex. Her view consisted of the back of the seat in front of her, and the fingers dangling around her sides. She had no warning as Lily snapped back to attention as the bus rolled to a halt at their stop.

“Hey, careful up there!” The tiny hollered up at her friend, her voice muffled as Lily’s hand instinctively closed around her. Alex grunted as her leg were squeezed between the two fingers on either side of her. It was uncomfortable, but given her durability, she was in no danger of being crushed or hurt. She grumbled under her breath about the carelessness of her friend as she was carried out of the bus toward’s Lily’s house.

Lily subconsciously adjusted her grip on the smaller girl, shifting her fingers until the tiny lump in her hand was resting in her cupped palm. She hurried towards the front door, eyes locked on a gorgeous head full of jet black hair.

“Hannaaaahhh!” Lily hollered, throwing her arms around the girl from behind. “You’re early!”

The raven haired girl squeaked in surprise, turning awkwardly as Lily continued to embrace her. A bit shorter than Lily, she shifted with the arms wrapped around her. Hannah’s choice of jet black clothing was a stark contrast to Lily’s vibrant fall colors, as was her pale makeup and overall complexion. Viewed as a bit of an oddity by most, Hannah somehow found friends with Lily and Alex in junior high, and the three had remained good friends throughout the years despite their differences.

“Where’s Alex?” Hannah asked, gently pushing Lily’s arms away, her personal bubble feeling a bit invaded. “Please tell me you didn’t forget her at school again…”

Lily released her arms from around Hannah and brought her hands together, opening her palms to expose the one inch girl. “I didn’t forget her, haven’t done that yet this year.”

Standing up on the now open palm, Alex looked up at Lily and Hannah, the two smiling faces staring down at her from the sky. “Yet, is the keyword there,” she muttered under her breath, knowing that sooner or later it was bound to happen again, given Lily’s character. She turned and waved at Hannah, the larger girl’s emerald green eyes smiling down at her. A pale hand rose up to meet Lily’s, and Alex hopped across the small gap between their fingers. The new hand gently lifted into the air, hovering in front of Hannah’s painted lips. The dark red gloss stood at odds with her fair skin, and parted as Hannah spoke to the tiny teen.

“How has the airhead been treating you?” Hannah whispered, quiet enough that Lily didn’t quite catch what she said. A smirk tugged at the edge of her ruby lips, and Alex giggled a bit. It was a running joke at this point.

“She hasn’t left me behind so far, though I have been SAT ON once or twice while she’s trying to flirt on the bus!” Alex emphasized her point with volume, ensuring that Lily’s ears turned red upon hearing her light jab. “No, really though, it hasn’t been too bad at this new school. At least most of the other students keep an eye out for me.”

Hannah giggled, and gently poked at Alex with her other index finger. “Good, nobody is supposed on you except us!”

Alex crossed her arms, “You mean like the doll incident? I still haven’t quite forgive you for that, you know.”

“Oh, come on… it wasn’t that bad, was it?” Hannah pouted. “You looked so cute with your hair cone up in pigtails in that outfit! Like a little Christmas ornament or something!”

“We had our class photos that day!” Alex retorted, kicking Hannah’s thumb. “I looked like a frickin’ Barbie doll on the teacher’s shoulder, it’s embarrassing!”

Hannah feigned a look of shock, drawing her free hand to cover her mouth, her jet black nails concealing her lips from view. “You mean you’re not a doll?“

“Psh,” Alex scoffed, “I’m not a doll and you know it!”

“Sure looked like one to me,” Hannah snickered, playfully poking at Alex. She glanced up at Lily, who was already wandering off to the kitchen with backpack in tow. “Where do you think you’re going, Lily?”

Setting her bag on the table, Lily turned and pulled out a chair. “This was supposed to be study session, remember?” She patted the seat of the chair, motioning for Hannah to sit down. “I’ll grab the snacks, and we can get started for a bit, before we lose all momentum for studying.” Hannah rolled her eyes, and slumped into the chair. Alex waited a moment, then jumped from Hannah’s palm as the girl lowered her towards the tabletop.

“Such a killjoy sometimes,” Alex said to Hannah as they watched Lily waltz towards the pantry. They both snickered as the crinkling sounds of snacks being pillaged came from the pantry door, followed by Lily emerging with her plunder. Bags of chips, a tub of pretzels, and an opened box of Girl Scout cookies were cradled in her arms, until she dumped them on the table before Alex.

“Alright girls,” Lily clapped her hands twice, startling Hannah, “pick your snack and a subject, and let’s get this show on the road!”

Sighing at the buzzkill, Alex kicked the box of cookies, which Hannah noticed, and popped the cardboard open. She removed a cookie, and snapped it in half, setting part down for Alex, and stuffing the other half in her mouth.

“Hey! I wanted that half!” Alex joked, tossing a minuscule crumb at Hannah’s retreating hand.

“Oopsf, too baff,” Hannah giggled as she chewed up the cookie, making a bit of a show to rub it in Alex’s face. Tiny flecks of chocolate cookie stuck to the edge of her glossy lips, waiting to be licked clean by her tongue. Alex shrugged, and snapped off a handful of the remaining cookie, and walked towards her bag.

“Let’s start with history first!” Lily exclaimed, removing a large and rather musty book from her bag. It hit the table with a powerful thud, almost toppling Alex with the shockwave. “Oh, sorry Alex!”

Alex regained her balance, having dropped neither her bag nor cookie crumb. She just shook her head as she fished her miniature tablet out, and browsed to her history course. Hopefully Lily would lighten up on the studying after an hour or so, and they could catch up with Hannah like she wanted. Until then, she’d just suffer through the brainiac’s after hours class.


Chapter End Notes:
Give me just a moment, and the second chapter will be up.