- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Writing a new story. Yes I plan on finishing this one. 

Chapter 1: Swallowed Whole

For once Delilah Carne woke up optimistic. Today was her day. Her day an average Monday to anyone else as the start to her week, an average and unassuming one in the third quarter of October, just a week away from Halloween. To anyone else this week would be another in the 52 that dragged on every year for eternity and back but to the students of Bellswan High school it was science week which ended on Friday with the yearly science fair, and for Delilah it was her one moment in the sun. Delilah was short, fat, and dreadfully plain. She didn’t even possess the curves that would normally come with weight gain and was often confused for a boy at first sight. She’d grown her hair out to fight this but the curly afro that it created often only added to the misconception and for the first week of high school too many students “accidentally” called her Daryll instead. Her short stature and average looks meant that of course she wasn’t popular. She didn’t receive attention from boys and often faded into the background. That would all change this week.

Delilah never considered herself very smart, but she often happened to be at the head of the class. Her only gift in life was that she paid attention and worked hard. Other people were just lazy, coasting by on their looks or charm. She didn’t have those qualities, she wasn’t hot or funny or even very clever, but she worked her ass off in school and the fruit of her effort were finally blooming. She’d completed her invention. After continuous work since her freshman year and many scraped prototypes she had completed it. A grand invention that would change the world forever, or so she believed. Afterall it wasn’t everyday someone discovered a gateway to another world.

Delilah sat eagerly at the front of her class as her ageing professor rambled on about theoretical physics. It was review mostly but she was studious enough to at least compare his lecture to her own meticulous notes. She occasionally copied down his different scratches on the whiteboard as he mapped out the geometry of a wormhole. It was just busy work until the start of her moment would come. Soon the class would have to present their projects. It was free form, most students would opt to right a paper elaborating on different study topics or perhaps start one of the rudimentary experiments outlined in the textbook, but for her it would be a proof of concept. The benefit of waiting for three years to show her work. She would present her theory, people might laugh, even think she was crazy, but the kernel of interest would be planted. By the time Friday came the school would be abuzz with rumors and even if they were negative people would show up if only to laugh at her failure, but it wouldn’t be a failure, not this time.

“Okay class.” The professor rasped with a wheezy cough. Delilah had seen the greying man smoking between classes and she often wondered if the cigarettes had taken their toll. “It’s time…” he continued.

Delilah caught her breath in anticipation. She was weighing the options of waving her hand and volunteering to present first versus saving the best for last.

“For a special announcement.” he spoke.

She would wait till the end. Keep the memory fresh in her classmates heads to gossip about the crazy girl in the hallway. She’d get mocked of course but she was used to it.

“We have a new student joining us today.” The professor finished before nearly keeling over in a coughing fit. “Excuse me.” he stated. “We have a new student joining us today!” He repeated with more enthusiasm. “Her name is Elixsana Mara Evercrest and if you haven’t seen the news last night then this might come as a surprise.”

Delilah wondered what kind of name Elixsana was when the door opened. In walked two uniformed police officers. The first one came in and gave the room a once over before the other walked in carrying some sort of elaborate device that looked like a grand palanquin but it was the size of a toaster. A small shadow could be seen fidgeting from behind the pink satin drapes of the tiny furniture. Both officers stepped in line on either side of the front desk before placing the palanquin down. A few seconds passed as the class watched with trepid curiosity. Then she stepped out. A girl, except she was the size of a doll.

“Elixsana here is a princess.” The professor finally continued. “A princess from another world.”


“Please just call me Elis.” The princess bowed to the class. With Delilah’s poor vision it was hard to make out Elixsana’s features from her distance on the desk but her voice was surprisingly clear in a mysterious phenomenon that defied logic. Delilah couldn’t believe it, such a tiny person couldn’t exist in real life but there she was as clear as day. “I look forward to getting to know you all and meeting someone special.”

The class was dumbfounded as nearly a minute of silence passed.

“How is this possible?” Delilah asked to herself. Was she really from another world? The same world that-” She was losing focus. She couldn’t be distracted by this new development when her moment was fast at hand. The “princess” was just a momentary speed bump, this was still her moment.

“Now class if you could open up your ears for a few moments? Officer Hendrickson would like to go over some protocol for how we are to treat our new guest.”

“Ummm, Mr. Kindred?” Delilah summoned the courage to sheepishly raise her hand before the officer could start talking.

“Yes, Ms. Carne?”

“What about our project?”

Some of the class groaned at this and one of them even sneezed in a manner that suspiciously sounded like the word “nerd”.

“Umm, yes. I’m sure the officer will be brief. We will address that next.”

The officer was not brief. By the time he had reached the near end of meticulously explaining all the different scenarios and protocols for how to treat the tiny transfer student the end bell for class had rung and the projects were postponed until the next day. Hearing the bell was enough to spur a flood of students to leave. Her moment had been put on hold. Delilah grabbed her bag and shuffled out the class passing a small group of the more curious students who were busy questioning the tiny. Delilah gave her a passing glance and princess Elixsana waved at her with a pleasant smile. Delilah had to wonder if such a small being was really worth all the fuss.


Delilah moped outside her locker. She had an upper locker and she was just short enough that opening it was a hassle. She wanted to put her notebook and textbook away and get ready for her next class but the mixture of frustration and depression had zapped her energy.

“Can you move, please!” She heard in an irritable tone. It was her locker mate Lupa a statuesque latina that was assigned the locker below hers. The irony of their locker assignment was not lost on either of them. She huffed and tapped her foot impatiently as Delilah fumbled with her lock. “Hurry up!” She barked. This only made things worse. Delilah wasn’t great in stressful situations and it didn’t help that Lupa was a bit of a thug.  She had blue dyed hair in a half cut, tattoos, a leather jacket, and basically everything else that told people she wasn’t to be messed with.

“Sorry!” Delilah croaked as she continued to fiddle with her lock. The three digit code to her lock might as well have been a rubix cube with the amount of progress she was making in that moment.”

“Move!” Lupa said shoving Delilah aside. “I don’t have time for this!” Delilah fell flat on her back and Lupa gave her a slight look that almost registered as remorse before swearing in frustration and opening her locker. When she was done. She slammed her locker closed and just shook her head at Delilah who still laid prone and scared. “Be faster next time!” she sneered before storming off.

Delilah was nearly on the brink of tears. It was a brief and ultimately harmless interaction. She was physically fine and felt a little silly for being so emotionally fragile but things had already went so poorly today that it was becoming a little too much to bare. She just wanted to head home and start over tomorrow.


 


 


The next day Delilah had decided to curtail her expectations a bit. Upon returning home she had learned on a lengthy new broadcast that princess Elixsana wasn’t human, which seemed obvious based on her size, but what was mildly shocking was that she was not the only one. She was a princess after all which implied there was a kingdom. A kingdom of what the media had coined as elves. While the new report did take measures to clarify that wasn’t how the species designated themselves humans alway clung to what was familiar to them, and so it was on Tuesday morning Delilah found herself sitting next to a genuine elf princess in her theoretical physics class.

The princess had fair skin almost as white as a pearl, a stark contrast to Delilah’s own blotchy off brown. She had beautiful silken hair the color of honey, and bright almost crystalline blue eyes that even Delilah could discern from behind her thick rimmed spectacles. In every way this princess was the exact opposite of her from her pearly white teeth to her pointed ears. The term elf did indeed seem fitting for her kind as she resembled the mythical fae creatures almost to the exact detail.

Princess Elixsana smiled at her. “Good morning!”

Delilah turned her head. Had she been staring? She couldn’t afford to get distracted She had a moment to create. Elixsana had already stolen the attention yesterday, but now was her chance. She would finally reveal her discovery, her invention, her portal to-

A chime rang through the school signaling an announcement. The melodic voice of the schools principal said. “I apologize for interrupting your classes but we have an important and exciting announcement to make. The annual school science fair has been cancelled.” A few whispers could be heard and more than few cheers as well. Delilah’s blood ran cold. “In light of our new students and the exciting times we live in the PTA with my full support has decided to forgo our science fair for what we are calling species interaction week. I’m sure our wonderful students will be eager to use this opportunity to learn and forge lasting bonds with our newfound brethren. More details will be announced in a mandatory assembly after lunch. While the rest of the class felt relieved Delilah was having trouble feeling anything. This couldn’t be happening!

“Mr. Kindred! What about my project!?”

“I suppose it will have to wait until next year.” he mused.

But there was no “next year” for her. She was a senior. She would graduate this year. No science fair this year meant...no moment for her.


 


 



Delilah did not go to school on Wednesday. Instead she opted to seclude herself in her garage. Her family didn’t care. She was the middle child of three children a brother being both her senior and junior. Her older brother was twenty-five, had three children with different women, and was an unemployed deadbeat. Her older brother was only ten, but he was a nightmare getting in trouble often at school for anything from pranks and bad grades to outright fist fights including punching a teacher. Compared to them she was an angel and her mom and dad didn’t even question when she said she didn’t feel like going to school that day. So she chose to work on her invention, the gateway to another world.

Truthfully she didn’t know if it was actually a portal to another world. Her device was an elaborate metal contraption that generated electricity and spun it so fast that the feedback loop actually created polarized exotic matter capable of maintaining a hole in space. She didn’t create a wormhole as much as the key to open it. She’d only tried it once, the whole was the size of a penny, and it had taken so much energy she had accidentally knocked out the electricity in the entire neighborhood. If she was being honest she wasn’t sure she hadn’t hallucinated the whole ordeal, but her math checked out. She’d posted her findings online and some academics had even validated her equations were correct...in theory. Until now that was all the idea of wormholes was, a hypothetical theory that could be proven with numbers but didn’t exist in real life. Well until Monday elves didn’t exist either. Today she would try again and this time she would film it.

Filming something was obviously not as good as a live demonstration. She had plans on posting it to Youtube but there was a hint of doubt in the back of her mind. If she could even film this event, if she could actually get it to work again, would anyone even believe her. For now Delilah pushed that thought out of her mind. Fortune favored the bold! She knew she wasn’t bold but she could pretend just for the chance of reclaiming her precious moment of glory. She set up her tiny digital camera on a tripod in the corner of her garage. She flipped the switch on her machine and….nothing happened. This was not unexpected. She’d flipped this machine on more than a hundred times since the first incident with the same effect. She had yet to discover the conditions that created the first portal which only added to her doubts, but she KNEW she had done it. She refused to believe she was so depressed it had manifested itself in crazy delusions. She worked for this. The machine started to hum.

Currents of electricity bounced between metallic spiral coils that crudely mounted the outer ring of the apparatus. It began to spin counterclockwise as a smaller ring spun opposite to that. A crackling sound spit the air and she could feel the hair on the back of her neck start to rise. At least it turned on.

The waiting was the hardest part. Another reason she had chosen to be truant from school. Generating enough energy was a hard enough feat in and of itself let alone shattering the laws of physics. After more than three hours Delilah felt a yawn escape her lips. Another hour and her eyelids had gotten heavy. Fifteen minutes after that and she was micro sleeping her body jerking to alertness as the machine continued to hum and spin. Another two minutes and she was asleep.


When Delilah’s eyes opened she knew she was dreaming. She’d fallen asleep in her garage and had instead woken up in a field of flowers. The plants were odd in color and hue indistinguishable between purple and pink. The stems glowed green and blue and as the wind blew scattered bright glowing pollen through the air. She rose and took in her surroundings, she didn’t know this place. It was foreign to a degree beyond recognition, like every aspect of this world operated on a different set of fundamental rules. The sky was dark blue and speckled with red light. Stars maybe? Three orbs hung in the celestial framework. One large and white with a large scorched scar down it’s middle that made it look like an egg cracked in half and two smaller ones of green and yellow that circled it. Moons maybe? At least that’s what she thought they were, but one could never apply logic to dreaming. Chances are she wouldn’t even remember any of this. Then she felt something.

It started as a brief dizziness, a faint lightness in her head. Then it advanced to a buzzing in her ears. Soon it was a full on headache and she felt like she would pass out. She fell onto her back and rolled onto her side scattering the glowing pollen about. She was covered in it. Her world went black.

“YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!” She heard in a voice so loud it caused her to vomit. She lurched onto her back and spasmed wildly before finally passing out completely.

She’d fallen asleep, not only that but while sleeping she had apparently rolled off the garage couch and ended up face first on the cold concrete floor and to add insult to injury her machine had turned off! A failure in the most purest definition of the word. She gave herself a once over completely fine from tip to toe. No vomit, no residual pain in her head. She wondered why she’d had such a strange and traumatic dream, but she had more pressing concerns. Her machine had turned off. At least this time the house still had power but unfortunately while she was napping the coils that conducted the electricity had fried to a blackened crisp. She gingerly touched one only to witness it crumble into metallic dust. Those were made of silver! She didn’t have enough money to replace those! Not on such short notice! It had taken a year of allowance and an embarrassing side job to pay for one.

“Fuck!” She cursed and slammed her hands into the machine kicking up a cloud of metallic dust. Her nose twitched. She felt the sensation of a sneeze building as the fumes burned her nostrils.

“Ah-ah-....” She held her nose to stop the sneeze. The sensation subsided. “AH-CHOO!” she sneezed violently expelling a gust of air from her lungs and through her nose and mouth. Of of it emerged not a plume of possibly toxic metal dust but a thin cloud of luminescent pollen.


 


 


Thursday morning and Delilah was checking her newly founded Youtube page as she walked into school. The species interaction initiative was in full swing as crowds of students were sectioned in a designated mingling area to safely chat and get to know their new elfen friends. Delilah paid no mind as it was entirely voluntary only incentivized by extra credit she didn’t need. Besides she couldn’t find it in herself to actually want to interact with this new species. Not when their mere existence had made life so much more difficult for her. For instance now on the apex of her finest hour, thanks to an insane stroke of luck that must have used up her entire life’s supply, she had succeeded! She’d created the portal once more and not only that but she had caught it on tape. After sifting through hours of footage spurred on by the discovery of the pollen which she of course collected and sealed in a sterilized jar she come upon the video evidence. A portal of swirling electrical energy had opened in her garage and sucked her into another world! That strange field of flowers was another world! She posted an edited version of the footage creating a Youtube account in the process. She’d stayed up late just to do it and was eager to see how many millions of views she would have the next morning. Only there weren’t millions, or thousand, or even a hundred, not even a dozen. In the eight or so hours past her midnight posting she’d received nine. Nine views and two comments. The top of which said “FAKE” in all capital letters and the bottom which said “Nice CG”. No one believed her. No one even saw it. She didn’t actually expect to become internet famous overnight but nine views was absolutely pathetic much like the rest of her life. And now her machine was broken and she couldn’t afford to repair it. She couldn’t imagine things getting much worse.

“Hey.” She heard in a male voice that knocked her out of her depressed stupor. She wasn’t paying attention where she was walking and had bumped into someone. Someone she knew. “Delilah?” The boy said. He was tanned with crew cut hair and a jaw that was starting to square into that of a man. It was Rocko Whitney Martinello. A childhood...acquaintance. Delilah didn’t have friends, not in high school. It was more like she had people who remembered her when she was a foot shorter and a hundred pounds lighter.

“Sorry, Rocky.” She said using his middle school nickname, from back in a time when they used to play Yugioh together in the library. That was more than a foot ago for him as he was far taller now and almost handsome. Too good looking to give her the time of day. He’d gotten height and muscle in high school like most boys did and apparently it was enough to become a second string running back on the school football team. Not a star player but enough to have his share of admirers. Admirers who criticized him for even talking to her which is probably why they didn’t hangout anymore.

“I’m sorry to.” He replied.

“For what?”

“They cancelled the science fair. I know that’s like your thing right? You must be bummed.”

Delilah was surprised he’d even know that. Why was he even talking to her? He rarely spared more than a passing “hello” or “good morning” most days even if that did qualify him as one of the few people that regularly even acknowledged her.

“Don’t start feeling bad for me.” Delilah huffed. “I don’t need your pity. It’s not your fault a bunch of little pests suddenly appeared and the world decided to just bend over for them.”

“You don’t really mean that.” Rocko said. “The elves are cool. You’re just pissed right?”

“And how would you know?!” Delilah snapped. “This is the longest conversation we’ve had in weeks!” Delilah went to move past him when she felt her arm was caught.

“Look I know we haven’t talked in awhile.” Rocky blushed as he let go of her arm. He looked away and rubbed the back of his neck. “I haven’t been a good friend, but we are still friends...at least I think so. If you’re having problems you can talk to me about it.”

“Just leave me alone, Rocky.” Delilah sighed. “It’s what you’re good at.” Delilah walked off and this time Rocko didn’t stop her.


Delilah was irritated, at her unprovable triumph, at her conversation with Rocky, and most of all at her new deskmate the elven princess Elixsana. They were sharing desks as class attendance was full today bolstered by the new elven guests. The princess smiled and waved with the casual regality of a practiced monarch. She was so graceful she could make taking a shit seem sophisticated and Delilah was almost suffocated by her proximity. It disgusted her. How could she be intimidated by someone so tiny, especially with the hate brewing in her heart. Part of her knew it was displaced, it wasn’t technically Elixsana’s fault the school decided to cancel the fair, but that didn’t change how she felt. She felt the urge to just crush the pointy eared pest like a bug under her heavy science textbook but that urge was immediately quelled with but a glance and a sideways smirk. The princess regarded her like she could read her thoughts or sense her brief killing intent.

“No wonder they didn’t like you.” She said with a grin.

“What?” Delilah whispered, but the princess didn’t respond.

The class went on like always with the professor lecturing a significantly lighter lesson plan what with most scholastic responsibilities being put on hold for the oh so wonderful elven invaders. Delilah had yet to see what the hype was about. Did they crap gold or something. The princess was pretty to look at but she could easily see this tiny thing better off as a pet than some holier than thou mystical creature. What exactly could they do? The princess herself stood no more than four inches tall. That had to be a hindrance in a human sized world. She was no more than a disabled.

To Delilah’s absolute chagrin she was forced to share her notes with the princess. She didn’t know why, it’s not like anyone was expected to do homework this week. Still she had to oblige if only as to prevent herself from causing a scene in class and being ostracized even more.

“These notes are quite impressive.” the princess commented.

Delilah only grunted in response.

Eventually she was called up to the front of the class to explain an equation that had to do with Einstein's theory of relativity. His work was actually the foundation for her discovery. Proposing that the universe and the space within it was malleable and relative to time itself. She solved the equation as best she could only once getting corrected by the professor not on her answer but on her rational of it. When she turned to her desk she saw something that made her blood boil. That little princess casually perusing through her notes. Not her class notes but her notes on the portal.

“No!” Delilah shrieked as she scrambled to her desk and snatched the notebook away also lifting the princess in the process. The tiny elf shrieked causing Delilah to freeze mid action and watch as the panicked royal dangled by the loops of her notebook. Delilah was locked on her miniscule figure so frail and at her mercy. Her thin twig like legs dangling so rapidly that they blew up the hem of her dress and revealed her lace panties underneath. She was more pathetic than even Delilah herself. How could such a small thing so easily ruin her-

“Ms, Carne!” Professor Kinded shouted.

Delilah snapped back to reality.To her great dismay all eyes were on her with shocked or infuriated expressions.

“Put her down now or your just asking for suspension!” The professor warned.

“But she-!”

“Now!” he bellowed.

Delilah slowly and deliberately placed her notebook and the princess down on her desk and took her seat.

“I apologize, Ms. Evercrest.” the professor said. “If you would allow I can have you relocated away from Ms.-”

“That won’t be necessary.” the princess cut off. “I was the one being rude and snooping through her things. Just because I’m a princess doesn’t mean I have the right to invade others privacy.”

“That is remarkably understanding of you your highness.”

“Your highness?” Delilah scoffed internally. Since when had that happened. Last she checked the lived in a free country.

“The title is not needed.” Princess Elixsana insisted. “Just call me Elis. And I beg all of you do not blame dear Delilah for my personal blunder. For it is through forgiveness and understanding that I hope our two races can learn to love each other and coexist.”

The room actually applauded.

When class ended Delilah was about to skulk her way out of class as quietly as she could when to her surprise the princess requested her to wait.

“What?” Delilah whispered.

“You are very close.” the princess smiled. “Your portal I mean. I didn’t know humans had advanced that far.”

Delilah narrowed her eyes at the sprite. She’d read that far that quickly.

“You’ve seen the other side right?” Elixsana asked. “Did you like the flowers?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Delilah lied.

“Hm. Of course not.” The princess smiled. “I would like to see it.”

“Why should I let you-!” Delilah caught her voice before she snapped at the princess that had earned so much of her ire.

“No!” Delilah hissed.

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t like you!”

“Why not?”

“Because-!” Delilah stopped herself. She couldn’t explain. She was ashamed of how she felt and too proud to admit it.

“Is that all?” Elixsana said. “I can have that arranged easily?”

Delilah was unsure what the elf meant.

“The science fair. It’s back on...and don’t worry about the silver coils either. Just bring the device. Tomorrow.”

‘I….what?” Delilah muttered.

“I’m counting on you Delilah Carne.” The princess said before having herself carried out by a young woman that must have been a friend. That’s when Delilah had noticed a small entourage of students waiting for her, most from that first group of chatters. “I’m very much looking forward to what you can show me!”


 


 



6:00 am Friday morning, Delilah found herself hauling the parts of her machine toward the school auditorium where the interspecies interaction event was being prepared. She couldn’t fit all of the parts on the morning bus and her parents weren’t going to drive her so she had to use her youngest brother’s old Tonka tough wagon to drag the equipment the mile and a half to school. She wasn’t in the best of shape either so that alone took nearly an hour of walking which left her tired and sweaty even in the chilled 56 degree autumn air. Holding on to just a fraction of hope that this wasn’t some sort of ruse. A practical joke by the princess at her expense.

She was surprised to find the school open so early. It wasn’t uncommon for students to be loitering around before school started and even faculty in the building but the place was already alight with activity. More students than should ever be there this early and teachers, and parents, and what seemed like even just common passerby,all busy setting up something far grander is scope than what the science fair would’ve been. Delilah had been to despondent and bitter to even bother caring about this interspecies thing all week but she was starting to feel like she was missing out. This seemed more akin to a festival than a simple school held event. The science fair maybe got a hundred people in attendance besides students who were required to attend at least for a little while, this interspecies thing seemed to have attracted nearly the entire town.

“Delilah Carne!” She heard in that willowy, serene voice that defied all logic. Both quiet yet fully discernable despite its owners minor scale. “Delilah! Over here!”

Delilah wasn’t sure where the princess was calling her from. Her poor vision meant she couldn’t see the pixie unless she was standing in front of her.

“The stage, Delilah dear! The stage!”

Delilah looked toward the large stage in the center of the room. The school’s auditorium had a unique set up where the stage actually rose from a compartment in the center of the room with moveable bleachers that were often placed around it for assemblies. That seemed impossible though. The stage was at the center of the room and she had only just made it through the front door. How could such a tiny voice project so far?

“We’ve cleared a spot for you, Delilah!”

Delilah discarded her disbelief at the situation and dragged her equipment toward the stage. When she got there the princess greeted her from the palm of another of her growing band of admirers.

“Do you need some assistance setting things up?” She asked.

“I doubt you would understand or even be capable of helping me-”

The princess snapped her fingers and her entourage went to work moving her equipment.

“Lupa, be a peach and help Delilah in anyway possible.”

Lupa! That’s when Delilah noticed the girl holding the princess was indeed Lupa. She didn’t recognize her because her hair wasn’t dyed anymore. Only a small streak of blue from it’s altered color remained. It was tied up in a bun and she was wearing a buttoned up shirt and skirt instead of her typical leathers. She still maintained some rebellion in the form of ripped leggings and black combat boots. How had such a transformation occurred in only a day?

“Shoulder please, Lupa dear.”

Lupa obeyed and stepped toward Delilah to place the princess on her.

“What?!, No! I don’t want you.”

“But how am I supposed to see your work?” Elixsana smiled like that was just an acceptable reason.

“Sorry.” Lupa said.

“It’s the princesses fault not-”

“Not for that.” Lupa clarified. “The other day I was rude to you….sorry. I was in a rush. It’s no excuse though.”

“Oh thats…..”

“Apology accepted!” The princess chimed in. “And now we’re all friends! Isn’t that great. Now let’s get to work!”

“I still need-”

“Oh! That’s right! The silver.” The princess snapped her fingers again and some students produced a clear plastic container. Delilah could see its contents without them even having to open it.

“I had it imported from my homeland.” the princess said. “I think you’ll be surprised by its effectiveness.”

“You actually got them?”

“Did you think I was lying, dear?” Elixsana asked coyly.

“I-I….I think I should get to work.” Delilah said with the slightest of smiles. Her moment, it was still within her reach.


 


 


It was the moment of truth. Her moment. The festival was winding down and a festival it was with games and prizes, food and entertainment both educational and for fun. It was a mixing of culture as the princess described. A way for humans to understand how elves or as she called her race “The esshanti” lived. The whole thing felt like a medieval fair to her. School for the day was apparently cancelled as students and town folk revelled together with the elves. Two out ot three people were either holding an elf or carrying one on their shoulder much like her and the princess, or gathering around a group of elves eating and singing if you could believe. All according to the princess’ design as she revealed she was the one who’d pitched the idea for a festival. All the while her machine was running in the background slowly building the power it needed to open a portal. As the sun waned in the sky close to setting a sizeable crowd gathered around the stage much larger than anything that would attend the science fair.

“Thank you all for gathering hear today!” The princess announced without the use of a microphone. Of course somehow the massive crowd could still hear her. Delilah wasn’t even surprised by that at this point. Perhaps it was some innate talent that the elves had? There was still so much she didn’t understand about them.

“I am proud to say one of your own has made a great discovery I would like to show you! A bridge between our two civilizations far greater than even the bonds forged today in festivities. For even as strong as the ties of friendship may be our two worlds thrive on the practical applications of ingenuity. With today’s discovering our horizons open to the possibilities of trade, commerce, cohabitation, and so much more. Now without further ado I would like to present Bellswan high’s own Delilah Carne! The genius inventor who single handedly discovered a portal between our two worlds!”

The crown applauded as Delilah came onto the stage with her machine whirling and humming behind her, crackles of electricity bouncing between the pristine silver coils as it spun faster than it ever had before.

“Ummm, hello everyone.” Delilah spoke quietly into a handheld microphone that she did need.

“Please speak up, dear!” Elixsana encouraged. “This is your moment!”  

“Yes!” Delilah beamed with an astonishing amount of newfound confidence. Time to seize it. “Over the last three years I used the knowledge and concepts taught to me to create this device in my garage. I would like to thank Mr. Kindred as well as the academics in the New United International Science forums for their critique and feedback. I would also like to thank the princess for giving me this opportunity to showcase my discovery!”

Over the next several minutes while the machine reached its apex of power Delilah went through a step by step explanation of how she created the device in excruciating detail. It was obvious most of her concepts and vocabulary flew right over the audiences head but the princess at least seemed to understand as well as some of the teachers.

“Thus creating a dimensional cross section for the exotic matter to form!” Delilah finished. With her last words the machine let out a loud whistling sound. The circles rotated even faster. Delilah’s eyes opened wide as she approached the device. This was it, just like what she’d seen in her video. The portal would open.

“Ladies and gentlemen and elves alike! I present to you! A portal to a new world!”

The machine whined and and sparks flew. The metal rings spun faster than Delilah even thought possible, she felt the hair rise on the back of her neck. Then she felt something smack her forehead. It fell into her hand. A loose bolt. Something was wrong. The machine rattled and shook under the strain of the rings rotations. It was generating too much power! How!? The only variable that had changed were the silver coils the princess had provided, but they were supposed to work better right? They were! They were working too well, conducting more electricity more efficiently than her makeshift machine could handle.

“No! This is wrong!” Delilah cried. She rushed toward her machine and pulled the plug to switch it off but it was still going! She reached for the coils but the heat from the electricity was too dangerous. She couldn’t touch it. The machine rumbled and swayed like it was about to capsize. Delilah took the risk and grabbed a coil shocking herself and searing her hands in the process. She had to try and stop the reaction before something terrible happened, and something terrible did happen. The machine exploded right in her face sending metal shrapnel flying in all directions and blowing metallic smoke in her face. The crowd backed away in fear at the small explosion. It wasn’t enough to be a true danger to anyone but her. Delilah cried as she wiped the black ash of her face. It stung with the specks of microscopic metal shards that had pierced her skin. She turned to the crowd to see a sea of eyes on her. Shocked expressions contorted in awe and fear and even a few laughs. Those laughs soon grew as the most uncaring of the student body took satisfaction in her humiliation.

“No, no, no!” she sobbed into her fingers that her moment had just slipped through.

“Enough!” The princess screamed her voice echoing against the walls of the auditorium. “Shame at all of you! How dare you ridicule one of your own for taking a risk! This demonstration is not over! While Delilah may have failed today her concept is still valid. All of you bare witness.”

The elf princess took center stage and spread her palms out wide to either side of her. “When the strings of two worlds align only I can open the door!” She spoke softly. Her eyes glowed and her palms sparked with electricity. “I am the key to the door of possibility and I demand it opens!” The electricity spun in the air much like that of her machine rotating faster and faster. The circle of energy widened in diameter revealing a window to another world. Behind it was a sea of flowers, glowing luminescent dust, a cracked moon. The place in her dream.

The princess opened her eyes and the portal closed, vanishing into thin air. She looked visibly tired from the ordeal. “As you can see the concept is indeed applicable in your reality, we only need to refine the design and-”

The crowd roared with applause and approval at the princesses accomplishment. “Princess! Princess!” They cheered.

Delilah nearly crumbled. “You….you could open one the whole time!” She’d worked the last three years just to open a portal the size of a coin and here this tiny creature had done a more impressive feat in an almost trivial fashion. She’d instantly gained the approval Delilah had spent her life searching for! Why had she even bothered working so hard! Being ignored, ostracized, isolated for just the chance at one brief moment of acceptance, of credit, of glory. It hadn’t just slipped through her fingers. Her moment had been stolen!

“Delilah, dear. Listen we just need to-”

“Stay away from me!” Delilah shrieked. She ran off amongst the loud cheers of the audience for the amazing princess Elixsana.



Delilah weeped alone in an empty hallway of the school. She could still hear the cheers of the the people in approval of their beloved princess. That cursed bug that had taken what was most important to her. It was all an act wasn’t it? A setup from the very start to steal her moment and completely embarrass her! Why? Why?! She openly sobbed into her scalding hands still damaged and numb from the electricity and the hot silver.

“That was a brave thing you did.”

Delilah opened her eyes to see the princess  standing at her heel and looking up past her knees into her eyes.

“You were trying to protect people and your hands got burned. The machine’s design was sound. I think with a little more work we can-”

“I said stay away from me!” Delilah screeched. “I hate you!”

“Dear, please. I know things went wrong, but-”

“You ruined everything!” Delilah roared. “You pretended to believe in me, stole my hope only to taunt me with it!”

“No!” the princess yelled back. “I that is not my intention I just-”

“If you don’t leave now I don’t know what I’ll do you little shit!” Delilah yelled harshly. “I don’t need your help! I don’t want it! I don’t need anyone! Go away!” Delilah closed her eyes and hunched in on herself to get away from the tiny horrid thing that had so viciously deceived and hurt her.”

Minutes passed without a word. Her harshness must have worked as she assumed the princess had left. How had she gotten to her so quickly anyway. Surely someone that small couldn’t move that fast. It didn’t matter. The elf didn’t matter. She didn’t matter. Her failure had cemented that fact in her mind. Maybe she could move on from this but she would never risk trying to accomplish something ever again and she would be perfectly happy if she never saw another elf in her life. That’s when she felt a tiny had on her cheek.

“I’m still here, Delilah.” the princess said. “I won’t abandon you.”

“I told you to leave.” Delilah rasped. “Why won’t you listen to me?!”

“Because I believe in you.” The princess said with a genuine smile. “I know you can do great things if you continue to try.”

“You just won’t listen.” Delilah said. “Because you don’t respect me, just like everyone else.”

“Delilah, please I want to be your-”

“You don’t care about me!” Delilah snapped. “You’re just trying to lure me ni, trick me, trap me!” Delilah grasped the tiny princess in her hand. She squeezed her tight in her fingers. “You’re a not an elf or a princess. You’re demon!”

“Delilah, control yourself!”

“But you’re tiny and weak.” Delilah said eyes full of sorrow and hate. “And I’m not going to let you hurt me again!”

The princess grunted in pain as Delilah’s grip tightened. “Calm down, dear. You’re not acting rationally. I’m not trying to hurt you.”

“You embarrassed me in front of everyone!” Delilah yelled. “I told you to leave and you won’t! Why?!”

“Because I want to help you, I want to-”

“Liar!” Delilah seethed. “You want to destroy me, but I won’t let you! If you won’t leave then I’ll make you leave….forever.”

The princess’ skin went pale if that was even possible with her complexion so light already. Hey eyes went wide as Delilah raised her enemy and brought her towards her mouth legs first. “Delilah, stop this!”

The giantess ignored the elfs plea and opened her maw to consume the elf legs first. She wrapped her tongue around the elfs feet and sucked her in up to the torso. Elixsana pushed in vain against the the lips of her devourer.

Delilah almost chuckled at her fruitless attempt, at how easy this was, at how powerful she felt for the first time in her life.

The princesses face went blank her pupils dilating she locked eye with the tearful, dreadful Delilah. “Are you my special one?” she asked.

“No.” Delilah muttered coldly. She then took the elven princess entirely into her mouth and savored  her taste. For a moment time froze as Delilah realized she had a choice to make. She could spit the princess out now and perhaps take this all back. Maybe the princess wasn’t lying, maybe she was a friend, but what if she was? No more risks. Never again.


Delilah swallowed.



 

Chapter End Notes:

I mean I said it's not your typical vore story but what is your typical vore story? She got eaten which is what happens in vore so.....I guess I'm a liar. This is your typical vore story. It's not over yet though. 

I do plan on this being a shorter story hopefully. Ideally less than ten chapters or so. I hope you've enjoyed it so far. 

See ya next chapter! 

Also leave a comment if you like. I'm interested in your thoughts on my first official vore work.