- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
"Oh hoho!"



Marcus was a bit worried about sneaking into the giants' castle, but Elise seemed to know what she was doing. She dipped and ducked through back alleys with practiced ease, displaying intimate knowledge of the castle's layout. Part of him wondered if he had literally found his way into the hands of a thief. It was a compliment really, and perhaps a little too critical as well. He had no solid evidence that Elise made her living as a thief. Then again, she continued to peek around corners for any unwelcome onlookers. It certainly appeared like she was hiding from someone or something. Was it really all for his benefit? It couldn't be THAT important to keep him out of sight?

"I'm taking you to Claire's place. She's like a sister to me. You'll be safe there."

"Is she; I don't know how to say this politely, is she friendly?"

"You don't have to worry about Claire. She's harmless. We're here."

Marcus waited quietly while Elise knocked softly on a wooden door before entering a modest dwelling. It looked like the small home was built into a corner of the castle wall, constructed of the same stones as the wall itself. Apparently Claire liked to live by herself, away from the other giants.

"What trouble did you bring me now?"

"It's nice to see you again too, Claire." Elise unceremoniously placed Marcus on a small round table in the center of the room. "His name is Marcus."

"Hmm, I see. You've gone and found yourself a little friend. But bringing him back with you, is that wise?"

Elise retrieved a small cage from under the table, just big enough to hold an average sized human. "I told him he would be safe here, because we're family. He agreed to stay in the cage. You won't have any trouble with him."

"Far be it from me to interfere with this grand plan the two of you have conceived. By all means, lock him up."

"I'll only leave him here for a little while. I need a bath, and I can't very well take him with me. That would cause a scene."

"You mean you don't want him to see you naked, because you're shy. That's what you really mean, isn't it?"

"I'll wait here! I'm fine waiting here!" Marcus interrupted.

"I see, you've trained him well. I'll forgive you this time for spoiling my fun. Don't make a habit out of it, human."

"There will be other women in the bath. I don't know how they would handle a man gawking at their naked bodies. I think he wants to survive his trip to the castle. Everything isn't always about me, Claire."

"So touchy today, he must be more than a simple acquaintance."

"He rescued me from human bandits, but they escaped unfortunately. I hope they don't hurt anyone else. We should have taken them prisoner."

"I wouldn't worry about it, Elise. Bad people like that always end up right where they belong. You might call it fate. I'd bet my good shirt they're under some giant's feet right this minute."

"I like him already!" Claire laughed.

"Ok, ok Marcus, I'll stop worrying, but I still think we should have taken them prisoner. Gah, these boots are sweltering! It must be like a swamp in there. I can't wait to soak in a nice warm bath. I think I'll walk barefoot to the castle bath."

"With your pampered tootsies?! No you certainly won't," Claire interrupted. "You know how tender your soles are. You'd cut your pretty feet all over the cobblestones. I don't want a bloody trail leading from my doorstep into the castle bath!"

"Why must you mock me in front of our guest? Fine. I'll keep my boots on until I get there. I'm at least taking this armor off."

"Stow it in the closet."

"While I'm gone, do you think you could take his measurements? He looks like a hobo. Claire is a gifted seamstress. She can make you something nice to wear."

"I thought you said he wasn't going to be any trouble," Claire complained.

"How long could it possibly take to make clothing for someone his size?"

"Yes, fine, go take your bath already. You're stinking up my place."

"Hey," Elise lightly shook Marcus' new cage. "Best behavior while I'm gone, promise me! Remember what I said about keeping a low profile."

"He gets it already. Hurry up and go melt your worries away in a hot bath, for all our sakes. I swear, she can't turn that big brain off for even a second."

"Fine then, I'm going. I'll be back soon."

Claire scooted her chair closer to the table as the wooden door slammed shut behind Elise. "Boy do you sure know how to pick 'em," she chuckled. "So what's your story? I've never known Elise to bring home strays."

Marcus glanced around the room from within his cage. There were half finished garments hanging on the walls, various piles of colored thread, a small fire crackling in a fireplace, and a very large axe mounted above the fireplace. It looked remarkably sharp. Across from him sat a slightly round woman with a pleasant looking face. She was clearly older than Elise, but maintained a youthful vibrance.

"Well boy? Don't be shy. Of all the people in the world, how did you stumble across Elise?"

"To tell the truth, she stumbled across me. I was passed out in the road from hunger and exhaustion. She stepped right on me."

"That's unusual for her. She has a little problem with that kind of thing."

"Yes, I know. It was a total accident. She never saw me. Thankfully she wasn't wearing her boots at the time."

"I've told that girl a hundred times never to take her boots off when she's traveling. No offense to you, obviously it was a stroke of good luck in your case."

"After that, Elise gave me food and water. We were attacked by bandits, and she just stood there. She wouldn't fight back."

"Now that, that sounds like Elise. I don't know what it's going to take to make her understand that there are bad humans who don't deserve her mercy."

"She told me she's too scared to step on people. It's like a phobia she has."

"There's at least a small glimmer of hope... After all, she stepped on you didn't she? That's a first for her. Granted, she obviously didn't do it right. You don't look smushed to me. Maybe that's something the two of you can practice together. You could help her perfect her technique!"

"I can't tell if you're joking."

"I can dream can't I? The girl is too stubborn for her own good. What will happen to her when there's no one else around to save her? A hundred damned bandits aren't worth even ONE Elise."

"I suppose we can agree on that."

"Strange to hear a human talk like that, especially the likes of you."

"Elise is special. She cared for me. I respect her."

"She was wrong about your clothing. You aren't dressed like a hobo. Those are mage robes. I should know. I've fought mages in battle."

"And yet here you sit, still in once piece. Congratulations on your victories."

"You flatter your enemy? You are indeed a devious one. And powerful, judging by your lack of fear. I might not be fast enough to reach my axe in time."

Marcus raised his hand through the bars of the cage, aiming his ring at the giant axe. Before he could react, a large metal spike pressed against the palm of his hand.

"Careful boy, I may not have my axe, but this sewing needle is enough to handle a pesky mage. State your intentions. Why do you raise your hand at me?"

"You wanted your axe. I can take it from the wall for you. I meant no harm."

"I should poke you a few times to teach you some manners. Damn mages always want to show off. Know this human, if you harm a single hair on Elise's head, I will hunt you. You can run to the ends of the Earth. It won't matter. My axe will find you. It is very sharp."

Marcus pulled his hand back into the cage. "I won't run. If I hurt her, you can have my head. I do not repay the kindness of strangers with violence."

"Aren't we a pair?" Claire laughed. "Two warriors without a battlefield..."

"I don't miss the screams. Perhaps I should take up sewing. Does it ward off the nightmares."

"Not in the slightest."

"Shame, I would have welcomed a good night's rest." Marcus seated himself on the metal floor of his cage.

"You can wash the blood from your hands, but the stains on your soul are a little harder to reach." Claire set aside her needle and thread. "I hear someone coming."

A guard burst through the door without knocking or requesting permission to enter. Marcus could see long brown hair flowing out of a metal skull cap, sword secured at her hip.

"I received a report that someone has smuggled a prisoner within the castle walls. They were last seen entering your house, Claire. You know the law. All prisoners must go before the Queen."

"Pity, I was about to put a pot of stew on the fire. Take him then. I won't try and stop you. There's the cage right there."

"A wise choice."

"Tell your Queen that I don't appreciate her goons bursting into my home uninvited. Off with you now."

Marcus held onto the bars as the cage swayed to and fro, matching the guard's long strides. She gripped his cage by a large handle protruding from the top. His entire view on one side of the cage was now blocked by her upper thigh. His promise to Elise remained fresh in his memory. "Best behavior," those were her words. He promised to keep a low profile. The urge to flee the cage was overwhelming. Escaping would be a simple matter. The lock on the cage was no match for his magic. He was torn between keeping his promise to Elise and fleeing from this new unfamiliar captor.

The outside view was different than before. Unlike Elise, the guard wasn't sneaking around. She marched straight through the center of the castle grounds. Marcus could see giants performing their daily tasks. It seemed much like a human village. There was a blacksmith, vendors selling food and clothing, and giants coming and going from the castle. With so many giants around, he felt like he was constantly being watched. He could feel their eyes on him. Maybe escape plans would have to wait.

Large wooden doors were pushed open by two castle guards as he was carried into a cavernous hallway lit by burning torches. The guard's metal boots clacked noisily against the stone floor, echoing through the halls. This was it then. She was taking him straight to the Queen. Marcus had never heard of any humans seeing the Queen and living to tell about it. In all his travels, there were no such stories. Either no one had ever met the Queen, or her little visitors did not survive the encounter.

His escort turned a corner, and they were no longer alone. A series of murmurs and whispers followed them as they passed through a small crowd. Perhaps they were spectators, gathered to witness his imminent demise. Good intentions or not, Elise had led him straight into the belly of the castle, and perhaps into the belly of the Queen herself.

"My Queen! I present you this prisoner as per your orders, a human smuggled into the castle by parties unknown."

"Thank you, you may go."

Marcus' cage was deposited roughly at the base of a large throne, in front of two very large feet. The view above him was obstructed by the roof of his enclosure. The feet before him were encased in slippers that appeared to be made of a soft material such as suede. On the toe of each shoe was some sort of crest fashioned out of pure silver, probably the Queen's royal insignia or the like. Her long robes parted at her shins, partially revealing her bare legs. The crimson material of her robes also looked soft, like her slippers, and was lined with a white fur trim. He felt the cage shake as the woman above him grabbed its handle.

The Queen effortlessly lifted his small cage, desiring a closer look at her new captive. Her court, gathered in the gallery of the throne room, waited patiently for her reaction. They would undoubtedly applaud whatever action she decided upon.

"Ahem," the Queen cleared her throat. "I've heard rumors that the humans say I'm mean, fat, and ugly. What do you say to that, little bug?"

Marcus gazed into the Queen's blue eyes. A crown made of solid gold and garnished with rare gems sat atop her head. Beautiful blond hair flowed along the sides of her pale face. The same thought repeated in his mind over and over, like a broken record skipping: 'The Queen of the giants looks exactly like Elise!' A wave of relief washed over him as a cloud of confusion set in.

"Does it speak?" The Queen looked out at her subjects anxiously. "Is my prisoner damaged? You know that I prefer them intact."

"I know of no such rumors," Marcus answered. "They are surely false."

"What was that?" The Queen rattled his cage by shaking it briefly. "Speak up, little bug."

The smirk on Elise's face told Marcus everything he needed to know. She was the boss now. It was time to play along.

"I know of no such fool who would spread these vile rumors about you, Your Highness."

"I believe one such rumor claimed my face was covered in warts. Do you see any warts?" Her words drew gasps from the spectating crowd.

"No, Your Highness. I am not worthy to look upon your beautiful face. There are surely no such blemishes."

"Very well then, I will refrain from gobbling you up, for the moment. I may require entertainment later. You may sweep away the dust at my feet. This is a rare privilege. Serve your mistress with pride."

Elise unlocked his cage and returned it to the base of her marble throne. She dropped a small, human-sized broom at her feet.

"Mind your surroundings, slave. I can't be bothered to avoid stepping on you. Do not disrespect me by spoiling the soles of my royal slippers with your disgusting innards."

Marcus did as he was told, taking up the broom at her feet. Once again, Elise had assigned him a pretend task. There was no dust or dirt on the floor to be swept. Her throne was likely cleaned regularly by a giant servant. Still, he went through the motions of sweeping the already clean floor.

He swept his way between her black suede flats, moving from the front of her shoes to the back. Maybe her adoring subjects would have a harder time watching him if he used her feet to obscure their view. It would be best if they forgot he was there.

Despite her ominous warning, Elise wasn't moving her feet much. Occasionally, one of her shoes would slide a little to the left or to the right, movements so small they were likely imperceptible to the other giants. It was just like Elise had told him. The giants were already starting to forget he was there. They went about their everyday business while he was tucked safely between their Queen's feet, out of sight, out of mind.

Marcus set the broom down only for a minute, right when Elise happened to move her foot. Her slipper came down on the broom, trapping it beneath her shoe. Marcus did the only thing he could; he reached out and touched the exposed skin of the top of her foot. She did not seem to react to his touch, so he tapped her foot more forcefully and finally swiped his hand from side to side in wide arcs. He could smell the scented oils from her bath, still lingering on her smooth skin.

"Do not tickle my foot, slave! I didn't give you permission to touch me!"

"My broom, you stepped on my broom. I cannot continue my work, mistress."

"I swear, these bugs are so helpless!" She looked out at her subjects expectantly. They laughed in response. "You should take better care of your tools. Very well, I will lift my foot slightly. You can crawl under my shoe and retrieve your broom. Be quick about it before I strain my muscles and decide to rest my foot atop your weak little body. My toes won't wait on you forever!"

Marcus didn't bother asking if she was serious. He could see the broom in the shadow under her foot. The front of her shoe was slightly elevated from the floor, but her heel remained firmly planted. He would have to get down on his hands and knees to crawl under her raised toes. The hard leather sole of her slipper rubbed against his back as he pulled himself forward. One thought gave him comfort and reassured him, this was Elise's foot. There was absolutely no way she was going to crush him. But it was still creepy as hell being underneath a giant's shoe. The strong smell of leather from her slipper's sole lingered beneath her toes. He felt around in the dark for the broom. His hand brushed against the hard leather sole, where the slipper was barely raised from the floor. Something was stuck to her shoe. He managed to pry it loose with his fingers. His other hand bumped against the broom handle. As he was about to crawl back out, the leather ceiling lowered slightly onto his back. It was most likely an involuntary movement that Elise wasn't even aware of. Now he was wedged beneath her toes. The weight wasn't crushing, but he was stuck.

Unable to crawl forward or backward, Marcus could do nothing but wait for her toes to raise up or step down. It was a humbling experience. Elise could end his life simply by lowering her toes. She didn't even need her whole foot. A firm press with her dainty royal toes would be more than enough to seal his fate. Even more sobering, there was also the possibility that her toes would only partially crush him, leaving him suffering and in great pain. That would be a fate worse than death. Marcus had heard stories of giants torturing their prey in such a manner. Elise was by no means a cruel giant, but the thought of a mishap made him shudder. It was time to stop waiting for an accident to happen. He thrust the tip of the broom handle into her shoe sole. A few more quick strikes achieved the reaction he was hoping for, her toes lifted from his back. Marcus breathed a sigh of relief as he crawled out from under Elise's slipper.

"It's about time, slave! Was it so pleasant under my slipper that you did not wish to leave?" Elise laughed along with her spectators. "You have your little broom again, now get back to work."

Marcus was still holding the mysterious object he'd pried loose from beneath Elise's slipper. He raised his left hand to inspect what it was he had salvaged. It was a human's shoe, a woman's sandal to be specific. Well worn, by the looks of it, with a darkened footprint along the insole. Why was there a human sandal stuck to Elise's royal slipper? How did it get there? Marcus had no idea. There was no blood, on the sandal, or the bottom of Elise's shoe. If Elise had crushed someone, there would have been a bloody mess. Maybe it was completely common for giants to step on random things. After all, with such big feet, how could they avoid it? Elise obviously had no idea she'd stepped on some small woman's discarded shoe. Perhaps there was a lost and found for all the random things they tracked into their castle. On the upside, Marcus now had something to sweep. He dropped the sandal to the ground, and proceeded to push it off the Queen's throne with his broom. His job was no longer pretend.

"Where is my wine," the Queen demanded. "Celeste is late again? How can anyone be so consistently bad at serving drinks? I thought she would have gotten it right at least once by now, if only by accident."

"I'm coming, Your Majesty!"

Celeste ran from the back of the room, carrying her large wooden serving tray, which held exactly one goblet of wine for the Queen.

"I've told you before not to run in the throne room," Elise scolded. "You're going to trip--"

"Whoops!" Celeste's foot caught on an uneven rug, sending her flying forward.

Everyone in the room collectively groaned in disappointment. It wouldn't be Celeste's first rough landing, or second; or third. Elise closed her eyes and braced herself for the inevitable face full of wine she was about to receive. She waited for the splashing, the profuse apologies, and Celeste's insufferable sobbing. Nothing happened. The room was oddly quiet.

Elise opened her eyes to discover her goblet of wine floating gently through the air, and then descending softly upon the arm of her throne. Not a single drop had been spilled. Celeste remained airborne, frozen in midair. All eyes in the throne room turned to Celeste.

"Get me down from here! What is this?!"

Celeste's frantic cries set off a flurry of murmurs in the viewing gallery.

"It's the human," someone called out. "He's doing it! It's one of their battle mages!"

Elise leaned forward to look down. Marcus was standing between her feet with his hand raised into the air. A blue light shone brightly from a tiny ring on his small hand.

"Stop that at once!" Elise nudged Marcus with the side of her shoe.

"What's happening?! This feels weird!" Celeste cried out.

The entire room watched as Celeste rotated in midair, until she was returned to an upright position with her feet safely planted on the ground. Everyone's attention shifted from Celeste to Elise. Without uttering a single word, the crowd demanded their Queen take action.

Elise looked around nervously, then back down to her feet. Again, she used her slipper to shove the tiny man at her feet. "Explain yourself, mage!"

"I am a sorcerer, not a mage. I train the battle mages. Clearly I meant no harm to your servant. You can see that she is safe. Would you prefer she fell on her fat face?"

"My face is not fat!"

"Celeste, please, be silent. You may join the others in the viewing gallery."

"I can levitate every giant in this room at the same time without hurting any of them. Would a demonstration be helpful?"

Marcus' boisterous claim earned him another swift kick. "Be silent foolish slave!"

"Your Majesty," a guard called out, "that human is dangerous. You should not be so close to it!"

"The Queen is in danger!" "Someone get the human away from her!"

"All of you, be silent!" Elise ordered.

She popped her bare heel out of her flat. Her gaze narrowed downward to the man at her feet.

"Get in my shoe."

Marcus stared back at her. His only response was blinking rebelliously in disbelief.

"Yes, bug, I'm speaking to you. Do you see anyone else in this room small enough to fit in my slipper?!"

Several of the Queen's vassals gasped, shocked by her brazenness. Was she crazy? Tempting the mage's wrath in such a manner...

"Your Majesty, given the peculiar strength of this mage, perhaps a bit more delicacy would be wise?"

"Silence! I did not ask for your advice."

Elise's heel remained raised, waiting expectantly for her captive to place himself beneath her sole. She stomped her other foot down beside him, slapping her shoe loudly against the stone floor. The sound echoed throughout the throne room.

"Your master gave you an order! Put yourself in my shoe or the consequences will be most severe."

Some of the onlookers decided to back away slowly from the unfolding scene. They were undoubtedly concerned of retaliation from the human mage. The extent of his full power was unknown, but the mage had already proven himself to be a threat. What happened next left the crowd shocked.

Mouths hung agape as the self-proclaimed sorcerer pulled himself up and over the side of the Queen's shoe, without protest no less. Her control over the human seemed to be absolute.

“Do not stand there like a simpleton. Lie down, slave! Make yourself a more comfortable fit for me.”

Instead of the retaliation they feared, onlookers witnessed an act of unwavering obedience. Their gaze followed Elise's heel back into her shoe, sealing away the troublesome mage. They cheered as their powerful leader crossed one leg over the other, proudly displaying the suede flat that had now become her slave's prison. Elise silenced their elated support with a wave of her hand.

"Surely there are more important matters to discuss than the bug trapped beneath my foot."


Chapter End Notes:
I don't know if I actually managed to surprise anyone with that, but at least I tried. I may have foreshadowed a bit too much. Look at me talking about plot in a smut story! haha Who cares? Right?