- Text Size +
In this chapter, we see Jackie try and face her fears. Weather she wants it or not.

---------------------------

Jackie dreaded getting off work as she clocked out and headed for the bus stop where Marleigh was going to pick her up. She’d been texting Marleigh back and forth about what they were going to do after she got off. It wasn’t like it was just going to be them two, they also had the killer of Jackie’s classmates, Carissa coming along. Marleigh had offered to take all of them to a bar she knew down the street but Jackie was uncomfortable with the bar scene. So Marleigh also suggested that maybe the three of them could bond with some late night shopping.

“I don’t know if shopping at ten o’clock at night is a great way to ‘fix’ this thing that Carissa did to me and my friends.” Jackie texted Marleigh as she went over to the same bus stop that she’d been waiting for her ride for the past few days, Marleigh’s shoes.

“Come on Jackie. It’ll be fun, we can try on clothes, spend time together, also you and Carissa can at least try to be better. I saw you last night and I don’t like when you’re upset.” Marleigh texted back as Jackie sat down, watching massive shoes pass by as she waited for Marleigh to pick her up.

“I guess we can do it. I just don’t want to be with Carissa for too long.” Jackie texted back. Truth was, her heart raced everytime she thought of Carissa and that day. It was like she was seventeen again and reliving the memories. It made her actually stay in the bathroom most of the day to prevent anyone from seeing her like this. To Jackie, this was embarrassing to the relatively small girl. Even if her fellow micros would understand.

“Oh then you’re going to be mad at me in a few minutes.” Jackie read out loud as she suddenly saw a massive black tennis shoe step right in front of the bus stop. It frightened Jackie as she looked up the clear ceiling and saw the formidable face of Carissa.

“Hey, umm, I guess I’m here to pick you up.” Carissa kneeled down gently to get a closer view of Jackie. Her face was getting closer so the tiny girl jumped behind the bench to cower in fear. “You’re scared of me right? I guess it’s what I deserve for what I did.” Jackie slumped down the bench. As she heard Carissa’s words, she looked up to see her hand cupped to pick her up from the ground. “Come on Jackie, I’m trying to get you to at least trust me.”

“I know you are, but I just wished you or Marleigh would’ve told me you’d be picking me up.” Jackie cried out through some tears. “I expected Marleight to be here, not you.”

“I know you were but she didn’t want you to be out here alone for an hour until she got off so she asked me to pick you up. I even put on her bus shoes so you’d feel more comfortable. Please Jackie, if not for me then for Marleigh?” Carissa then saw Jackie slowly stand up from behind the bench.

Jackie sighed. “Fine, for Marleigh. But don’t think this means we’re friends. Alright?” Jackie walked out, still afraid of Carissa and her intentions. She shyly walked out to the entrance to the shoe and when it opened, Jackie tried not to looked to see the soles of the very same girl that ended some of her friends lives. Jackie soon selected a seat and looked down at her phone until she heard the ringing on the screen in front of her. She sighed and was half tempted to let it go to what was essentially voicemail but thoughts of Marleigh getting mad at her for not at least trying with Carissa began to haunt her tiny head for a few seconds before she finally pushed the green answer button.

“Hey, I’m actually surprised you picked up.” Carissa’s face was noticeably red as she began to talk. “Look, I know I did those horrible things to you and everyone at the school but I’ve changed.”

“Do you even know you who you crushed or ate in your rampage?” Jackie asked aggressively as Carissa started walking to their destination. Her arms were crossed as she tried her best not to show any emotion past anger to Carissa.

“Yeah, I do. John Stephens, Leonard Potter, Janet Wilson, Sirena Jackson.” As the giant girl continued to name off the names of Jackie’s classmates, she actually did began to feel like Carissa, at least now, began to feel bad at what she did. “I remember then all.”

“Ok, I get it. But, why’d you do it? You were an exchange student, I mean I was going to ask you to hang out with me and my friends for the day. Then you eat a teacher and destroy half the school. Not to mention the years of therapy my family put me through all just to forget my first experience with a human.” Jackie soon started to cry and she once again felt the same way she’d felt earlier at work. “How long were in jail for anyway? Did they even lock you up?”

“They did. I spent five years in prison for what I did and after I got out, I was forced to work with micros under supervision of course to make me see them as actual people. Eventually I was trusted enough to let the micros scared of humans talk to me, unsupervised. And..”

“Yeah I get it. Doesn’t mean I forgive you.” Jackie interrupted as Carissa stopped in her place, allowing Jackie to somewhat move out of her seat before she was brought back to her original position. “Hey!”

“Jackie, I’m trying over here and Marleigh said you’d at least try to open up with me. I know how much she means to you, after she got home last night she wouldn’t shut up about you. And she said that she wanted us to try and fix this. You being aggressive isn’t helping either of us, alright? I promised her I’d be nice to you no matter what. So please at least try?”

Jackie sighed once more. It was true. She wasn’t helping. Being this standoffish with her friend wouldn’t lead to Marleigh liking her any longer. Jackie swallowed her pride as she sat up in her seat. “Ok, I’m sorry if I’m taking my frustrations out on you. It’s just hard to forgive you for what you did.”

“I can understand that. Just...try with me ok? I know it’ll hard to at least build some kind of trust again but if the both of us try, maybe it can be better, alright?” Carissa asked as she looked at Jackie who at this point was starting to tear up as well.

“Ok, I will. I’m sorry.” Jackie looked up to see Carissa’s socked soles begin to move around as her colossal ‘friend’. She noticed the fun and cute design Carissa had on. It reminded her of something Marleigh might wear for the little girl if she asked her to. “So, umm when did you and Marleigh meet?” Jackie blushed as she soon realized Carissa had caught her looking and enjoying the soft socks above her.

Carissa continued to walk as she heard Jackie’s voice coming from her phone. “We met a few years after I got released from and eventually she asked me to move in with her. The entire time I’ve known her, she’s always been super nice and sweet. She’s always been the type of person.” Carissa paused as she looked at Jackie. There wasn’t any animosity or even a hint of anger coming from her. It was sweet knowing at least she was listening to her words rather than flat out ignoring them. And Jackie?”

“Yeah?” Jackie asked.

“We both know Marleigh is really fun to be around but when you showed up, she was even more happy. If that makes any sense. I enjoy seeing her happy with you. You two may not be the definition of what everyone would call ‘a normal relationship’ but I can say you’ve made Marleigh happy.” Carissa blushed more, thinking of what to say next. If she was being honest with herself, she too didn’t feel too comfortable talking to Jackie either. Her heart raced as the seconds went by as both girls remained silent. Carissa scrunched her toes, quickly releasing them as she realized that Jackie soon looked up to see her moving her sock covered soles. She noticed how the tiny girl smiled as she looked up for the briefest of seconds before she looked back down as she looked down at the ground.

“Oh Marleigh didn’t tell me you had an interest in umm feet?” Carissa noticed how Jackie almost jumped up in her seat once more as she began to get red in the face from embarrassment. She immediately knew she struck a sensitive nerve by saying this.

“I didn’t think she would.” Jackie covered her face. “Look, Carissa I enjoyed our talk but I think it’d be best if you just call me again when Marleigh gets here.” Jackie said as she pressed the ‘end call’ button, ceasing the conversation before it could go any further.

“Wait, Jackie I’m sorry.” Carissa tried to explain herself before her tiny passenger turned off her end of the screen. It yielded nothing. As Carissa was walking, she continued to look at the black screen on the app, hoping that maybe Jackie would call her back after a few minutes, but nothing changed. Carissa sighed as she stepped into a coffee shop to just wait out the embarrassment of basically outing Jackie as someone who had a strong interest in feet.

“Hello mamm.” The African American server spoke as Carissa stepped into the door. “What can I get you today?” She was looked like a sweet girl as Carissa walked up to her. She noticed the name tag the girl had on her shirt. It read ‘Jordan’. She seemed like she was in her late teens, maybe just turned twenty. Either way, she seemed young to the slightly older Carissa.

“Oh umm can I just get a cup of water please?” Carissa said as she headed to an empty table to think of what to say to Jackie to say to her as an apology. She thought about calling her apologize but knew that would just make things worse than they already were right now. The tiny girl in her shoe already had a very low opinion of Carissa and she knew that bothering Jackie further would only lead to more hate on Jackie’s part. Disturbing her at this point would be fruitless.

“Ok, one boring cup of water for one boring person.” Jordan said as she began to pour the water. “Why so down? It seems like you’d be going out dressed like that.” As Jordan brought the cup to Carissa, she noticed the shoes she had on. The bright lights and classic insignia of the Micro Bus Program shines bright.” Bad night dealing with those bugs? I know what you’re going through. I used to be a ‘driver’. Always hated picking them up but the they kept paying me to take them around town. Some weird ones even got off to me taking them around. Creeped me out too much.

Hearing the way the server speak made Carissa’s skin crawl. It genuinely sounded like she’d been blasted back to the days when she believed that micros were just insects to be exterminated or kept as pets. As Carissa looked around to see if anyone else had picked up on this, only seeing another woman who had her headphones in. “You think they’re bugs? They have rights just like us. They live, breath and eat just like.”

“Not to me. I mean, if they have rights while they’re that small, why don’t we give mosquitoes rights? Next thing they’ll think of electing a Micro for president. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I’m no sizeist but where do we draw the line? Huh?” Jordan began to continue to ramble on about her ideas on what to do with the micro population around her building. It made Carissa extremely uncomfortable considering she used to be one of those people. Thinking that micros shouldn’t have any rights at all.

“Hey I’d really like to stay and continue to listen you list all the things you like more than Micro race but I’m meeting a friend soon.” Carissa grabbed her water and quickly left before Jordan could resume her wild ideas. She pulled out her phone to call Marleigh, wondering where she was so both her and Jackie could meet up with her. “Marleigh, I’m just wondering where you are so we can meet up. I got Jackie but there was this lady that just freaked me out at this coffee shop. She started talking about how micros don’t need rights, they’re nothing more than bugs. I’m just glad Jackie was in my shoe, if she was I’m pretty sure this girl would’ve hurt her.”

“Ok relax Carissa, I’m by the old statue of the Micro-War statue near the apartment. It’s not that far from where you two are.” Marleigh answered as she paced back and forth. She didn’t have anyone in her shoes at this point, even though she had another thirty minutes in her shift left. “How’s Jackie? Are you two starting to see eye to eye? Starting to get along?”

Carissa swallowed hard as she thought about telling Marleigh what caused the tiny woman to fall back into her way of ignoring her. “It was going well until I said something that bothered her.”

Marleigh sighed. “Carissa, what’d you do?” She replied in an almost joking manner.

“It was going well, we were talking about things and when there was a silence, I saw looking at my socks with a smile and I put two and two together. And then she hung up and I want to apologize to her but I also don’t want to annoy her.”

“Ok Carissa. Just get here and I’ll talk to her alone when you two get here. Alright?” Marleigh hung up as she leaned against the monument, laughing to herself. “At least they were talking, even if it was for the briefest of moments.” She thought out loud as she soon turned off the lights on her shoes remotely from her phone to alert the micro passengers she was off the clock. She then began to head to a nearby bench to wait for the two trouble makers to arrive to her. “It’s going to be a long night.” She thought out loud, starting to swing her feet back and forth, waiting on her friends.

----------------------------------

Hey, you made it all the way through this chapter! Hope you enjoyed it and if you want to, leave a review on what you liked or even what you didn't like. I want to hear them. Hope to see you when the next chapter comes. Hopefully soon :)