- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

In this chapter, we see Jackie return to see her parents. Along with Marleigh. A human meeting her micro partner’s humanphobic parents? This should end well.

As the pair rode the train to New Mannorock, Jackie’s hometown, the small girl was nervous as she’d ever been. She had been meaning to tell them about their relationship but never had the confidence to tell her judgmental parents about Marleigh. She constantly feared being shamed for who she loved or was friends with that the already shaky relationship would fall apart. Those thoughts would not leave her head no matter how hard she tried. It was just something that was ingrained in her head.


“Jackie, are you doing all right? You’ve been pretty quiet for the past few hours. I’m getting scared for you.” Marliegh asked as she looked down at Jackie who was sitting on her shoulder staring out the window watching the buildings slowly fade away to be replaced by a grassy field filled with the most wondrous flowers the two of them had ever seen.


“Oh yeah, it’s just that I haven’t seen or talked to my parents since I moved out years ago. I’m scared of what they’ll think of us.” Jackie leaned close to Marleigh’s neck, using her long hair as a sort of faux blanket. She felt the blood being pumped underneath her skin as she smiled peacefully, for the first time since they’d boarded the train almost two hours ago.


“Relax pretty girl. You get to be with me tonight after we get home. How lucky are you? I’ll tell you, very.” Marleigh used her finger to toy with the small girl by poking her a bit and even using it as sort of ‘friend’ to the small girl which got a slight giggle from Jackie. “In the meantime, how should I introduce myself to them? I can’t exactly say ‘hi I’m Marleigh, I’m dating your daughter’ can I?” Marleigh leaned her head back on the glass as she watched the green grass fly by as they zoomed past everything. “What are your parents names anyway?”


“My dad is Frank and my mom is Felica. I also have two brothers and four sisters where I’m in the middle. And yes, the most lucky.” Jackie yawned as she closed her eyes as she began to drift off to sleep, using Marleigh’s soft skin as a pillow. “Makes me think if any of my siblings are still there. With mom and dad like they wanted with me.” Jackie whispered to herself as she leaned deep into Marleigh’s skin.


“Something happened between your parents I should know?”


“It’s just...my parents never wanted to see any of us leave. After the rampage at the school with Carissa and thinking they’d lost me and my sister, my parents really wanted us to be as close to home as we could be. I felt...trapped living with them. I couldn’t even go out with friends unless they knew where we were going at all times and sometimes they’d call the place we were and ask for us. It just got too much.” Jackie then looked at Marleigh’s reflection on the window on the other side of the train. “We got into this fight that just got out of control. Next day, I packed my stuff up and left for the city without even saying goodbye.”


“Wow Jackie, I guess I can sort of see why you’re so...weirded out by this. But promise you’ll be cool? I’ll make sure that tonight is a night you’ll never forget if you do.” Marleigh then picked the tiny Jackie off from her shoulder and held her in her palm just admiring her sweetly. Marleigh was infatuated with Jackie and didn’t want her hurt one bit and she did everything in her power to make sure Jackie was safe and sound. “I love you Jackie. You know that right?”


“Of course I know you do. And I love you too, my big girlfriend.” Jackie then grabbed hold of Marleigh’s thumb as she caressed it warmly. The giant girl blushed as her heart melted and she began to tear up.


“Coming up on your right is New Mannorock.” A man on the loudspeaker called out. The stop. Marleigh got up and headed out. “Please enjoy your stay.”


“Are you sure you want to meet them?” Jackie poured as she leaned on Marleigh’s fingers. 


“Jackie, I’m sure. We had almost two hours to not get cold feet didn’t we? Now where to?” As Marleigh looked around, she saw nothing but grass everywhere and a big patch of gray out in the distance. Raising an eyebrow, she looked down at Jackie. “I’m guessing it’s that area over there?”


“I guess. For now, when you get to the city limits, drop me off and I’ll find them for you. If they didn’t move, it should be easy to find.” Jackie looked at Marleigh and smiled. Even if she was upset, she’d always feel better when she saw Marleigh’s smile. “I love you.”


“Love you too little one. Now go find your folks.”


As Jackie was set down on the ground, all the memories started to flood back to her. As much as she hated this small town her parents wanted her to stay in, now that she was back here with Marleigh, things were different. As she walked down the street, not a soul was outside. It was like a ghost town. All except for her and Marleigh were looking around. That was, until a man came running out of one of the homes and basically snatched Jackie off the ground and carried her indoors.


“Hey! What are you doing? Let me go!” Jackie called out as she was brought into a home with more people than she expected to see. 


“Are you crazy? With that monster of a human out there? I’m surprised she didn’t catch you.” The man said as he started bolting the door shut. “You’re welcome by the way. I’m Fin.” He then turned around and extended his hand for a shake as Jackie tried to remain calm. 


“Jackie, but I don’t need your help Fin. I’m here with her. Here to see my parents.” The other people inside started whispering amongst themselves as Jackie’s news shocked them. “Her name’s Marleigh by the way. Now, can I go see my parents now?”


Fin looked outside as he watched Marleigh play on her phone while staying in the same position as she did when they first arrived. She hadn’t moved a muscle. “Call her, so I know you two are together. Not for me, but for the people. If your family is here, you should know that her kind aren’t exactly welcome here.” Fin looked at  Jackie’s phone as she started dialing Marleigh’s number.


“Jackie? Everything alright down there?” Marleigh’s voice projected across the small community as windows of cars near Marleigh’s feet were shattered completely as she spoke into the phone. Quickly realizing this, Marleigh began to whisper as quietly as she could. “Sorry about that. I’ll pay for that, I swear.”


“Everything is fine Marleigh. Just, the people are kind of scared of you down here. They want to know you can be...trusted I guess.” The phone was then swiftly snatched by one of the women, leaving Jackie puzzled. “Hey! Give that back!”


“She broke my car windows! She’s going to give my kids nightmares for weeks!”


“Give me that phone back! I need that!!” Jackie yelled as they all felt an earthquake all around them, silencing everyone in the neighborhood. Looking out the window, they saw Marleigh’s massive shoe right outside the lawn of this person’s yard with a massive whole about three feet deep.


“Give me my little girl before I get her myself. I don’t want to break anything or hurt anyone but if you touch my baby girl.” Marleigh’s voice blasted through the phone, making the woman that stole it drop it on the ground as they all collectively covered their ears. This gave Jackie enough time to reach for the phone as she ran backwards towards the door, unlocking it as she saw Marleigh’s legs tower in the sky as she watched her be on the lookout for her tiny girlfriend.


“Marleigh, please stop scaring the neighborhood. I’m fine. Everything’s fine.” Jackie spoke into the phone as she watched Marleigh relax a bit as she knelt down, desperately trying not to obliterate anything else in the neighborhood as she smiled at Jackie. “Everything’s fine big girl. Threatening the neighborhood isn’t setting a great first impression here.”


“Sorry, just got scared. I’m glad you’re ok Jackie. Did you find your parents? Are they ok?” Marleigh’s voice was now sweet as she lowered her finger to comfort Jackie. Jackie cooed softly as she hugged Marleigh’s finger as it soothed her more than she could hope. “I’m sorry about the neighborhood Jackie. I promise I’ll pay for it.”


“It’s fine Mar. Like you said, your parents are rich right?” Jackie giggled as she wiped some of the dirt off of Marleigh’s shoe. “But I think I know where they’ll be. I’ll be right back. Just stay here Mar, I’ll come back with them.” As Jackie left Marleigh’s side, she couldn’t help but shake the feeling that was being watched. By everyone. Turning her head to look at a house to her left, she saw three heads peeking out from the curtains, terrified of Marleigh being here. She couldn’t blame them for being so scared of humans. This whole community was founded on them wanting to escape from human interaction but she unfortunately brought their biggest fear to them. She just needed to find her parents, finally tell them the truth and then leave whenever they disapproved of her relationship. Hopefully it would just be in and out. Simple and without too much heartbreak.


“Jackie? You’re the one that monster is with?” She suddenly heard a familiar voice. It was her fifteen year old brother Desmond, hiding in the bushes. Turing to look at him, Jackie wanted to run up to him and hug him but she just stood in place and crossed her arms.


“Desmond, she is not a monster. I promise. Look, we’re just here to see mom and dad. Where are they?” Jackie saw Desmond walk out from the brush as he stepped towards Jackie cautiously. “Besides, why were you in the bushes?”


“Mom always said humans like the little boys first so when I saw her I-”


“Jumped into the bushes so she couldn’t see you? You know you could’ve just gone inside right?”


“I got locked out ok? Jackie, you should know how people will react when they see a human coming here.” Desmond then walked up to hug Jackie as she equally embraced him. “It’s nice seeing you Jackie. We missed you.” The two siblings hadn’t seen each other since Jackie left that fateful night to be on her own. She’d missed out on so many of his birthdays.


“I missed you all too.” Jackie then looked Desmond in the eyes as they released their hug. “Now, where’s mom and dad? I’d like them to meet Marleigh.”


“Why would you want her to meet mom an-“ Desmond paused as he looked at Jackie with a grin on his face. Jackie instantly regretted asking her immature brother for help as she should’ve known what was going to happen. “You and her are...a thing? Mom is gonna be furious!” Desmond then ran off, maneuvering around Jackie as he bolted to a red house with gated windows across the street. Jackie’s heart dropped as Desmond got to the door to have it open right as he got there. Her father was standing there at the doorway, listening to his son as Jackie slowly walked towards the house to join them or at least attempt to. She knew Desmond was going to spill the beans about her and Marleigh and she also knew Jackie would never be considered ‘part of the family’ as soon as the fact she was dating a human.


“Jackie!” Her father said as she stepped into the driveway, head down, looking at the grass rather than making eye contact with her disappointed parents. “Jackie, is what Desmond said true? You brought that monster here? And you’re dating her? What have me and your mother tried to teach your siblings since we almost lost you and Veronica that day? Don’t look at humans, don’t talk to them, don’t consider them friends and especially don’t date them!” Jackie kept her head down as her father continued to berate her. “What if something happened to you, huh? I know you see the best in everyone but they’re not like us. They don’t have to live in constant fear of ‘what if my whole family gets stepped on?’ or ‘I hope I don’t get eaten by a bird.’ Jackie, have you even thought through this?”


“Dad, she’s not a monster. I promise you, she loves me and I love her.” That was when Marleigh’s mother came out to hear what the commotion was. She had a disappointed look on her face already and she hadn’t even spoken a word yet. “H-Hi mom. Nice seeing you.” 


“Jacqueline. So, you brought her here? Tell her to leave. There’s nothing for her and after this, there’s nothing for you here either.” Jackie’s heart was soon smashed as she heard what her mother said. She expected to hear words that would make her want to cry but actually hearing them made her just shattered her very being. Her own parents were basically kicking her out of the family all because she was dating Marleigh and she couldn’t hope to stop them. “I’m going to give till the count of three to get out of my sight and if you’re not, I’m going to raise absolute hell.” 


“Mom please, I can introduce you to her! You’ll see how nice she is!” Her mom just ignored her as she began counting down. “Please don’t do this, mom.”


“Three….two…” Jackie turned around as he heard Desmond and her dad head inside as her mother waited for her to leave. “I hope the maker burns you tremendously for this. This goes beyond me, you. You put the whole community at risk for what?! Your own selfish desire to let your ‘girlfriend’ see your parents. I am never forgiving you for putting my family’s safety at risk. Don’t even bother coming to my funeral little girl.” Jackie then turned to look at her mother with tears flowing down her cheeks. 


“I’ve never hated anyone in my life before, not even that girl who almost killed me and Veronica. Until now. Goodbye mother, hope you got what you wanted. The daughter who only wanted your approval hates you.” Jackie then bolted down the street to meet back up with Marleigh. There was a reason she never wanted to come back here, introduce her parents to Marleigh. They actually reacted worse than what she imagined them to say. It was heartbreaking and she wished she could’ve talked them into at least talking to Marleigh but they were too stuck in their ways. After all, this whole community thought like them. Hating humans because of what they did to them. She was foolish to assume they’d actually listen to her pleas. After that day with Carissa, they’d always hated humans. For good reason.


“Hey pretty girl, what happened?” Marleigh asked as Jackie reached her feet as she continued walking to the exit they originally came from. “Jackie, everything alright? Where are your parents?”


“Not coming. I got disowned, yelled at and told to not even go to my own mother's funeral when she passes. Seeing them, being here just ruined my day. I’m sorry Marleigh.”


“Jackie…” Marleigh wanted to say something nice, sentimental and just something to cheer Jackie up but she just couldn’t comfort Jackie when she was equally pissed. She just felt as if she had just her own heart shattered, she couldn’t imagine what Jackie felt inside. As if her whole world was falling apart and Marleigh couldn’t just stand by and watch her heart get broken. “Where do your parents live?”


“Marleigh it doesn’t matter, let’s just go home, ok? I don’t want to stay here any longer than I have to.” Jackie wiped the tears from her face as she looked to Marleigh who looked as if she had an evil idea. Revenge. “Marleigh, I’m fine. Let’s just go home. Please. It’s fine, I’m fine, ok? You don’t have to do this.” Jackie just saw pure anger in Marleigh’s eyes which just terrified her to the absolute core.


“No, Jackie. I love you enough to defend you. To protect you.” Marleigh set Jackie down on the ground as she took her first actual steps into the small community, forming massive footprints in the concrete. The rock obviously wasn’t strong enough to support anything beyond a micro truck going on it. The road was just wide enough for Marleigh’s footsteps to not harm anything beyond the streets but the cars, concrete and other items were completely destroyed by Marleigh’s weight. She was on a one woman mission to exact revenge for her girlfriend and she honestly didn’t want this to happen but when she saw Jackie’s tears, she had to intervene. To do something.


“Ok New Mannorock, I’m only going to say this once. Where are Frank and Felicia? I swear I will destroy everything I see until I find them for hurting my Jackie. Better to come out now or else.” As Jackie heard Marleigh’s voice, it felt so dark coming from the sweet girl she’d fallen in love with. As if Marleigh wasn’t herself, which she wasn’t. “You broke my Jackie’s heart for wanting to introduce me to you and now, she deserves an apology. I’ll give you both to the count of five to come out and show yourselves. And say sorry and love her like she deserves!” Marleigh’s voice was now at the level of shattering windows of houses and cars as she put her hands on her hips and began to count down. “I really just want an apology for what both of you said to her. I’m not a monster! I’m just a normal girl defending my girlfriend. Four!”


As if driven by the intense desire to protect the parents that just disowned her, Jackie ran as fast as she could to meet Marleigh’s foot as she tapped it. She sprinted past the crushed cars, massive foot prints and other debris in the road as she quickly ran to her girlfriend. It wasn’t the fact that Marleigh wanted to defend her honor or even to save her parents that drove her to stop the giant girl. It was actually just due to the fact that her siblings were still living here. Jackie figured stopping Marleigh as soon as she could would result in less trauma for the youngest, David who just turned twelve. This was his first experience with a human directly and so far, it was living up to the fear drilled into the young boy by their parents.


“Marleigh! Mar! Please come back! This isn’t going to solve anything!” Jackie yelled as she made it to the beloved shoe. She was in tears by this point and just wanted to go home. “Please don’t hurt them, I know you don’t want to. It’s not like you!” As Jackie spoke to her giant girl, she seemed to calm down. Slightly. Marleigh looked down at the small girl as she just saw a broken girl that needed comfort from her and not more trauma. “Let’s just go home, ok? Please don’t prove my parents right. Ok?”


“Not after what they did to you. I want an apology from them. Three!”


“Marleigh. Please I’m begging you to stop. My parents would rather fight than say sorry. This isn’t helping anyone! Please, as your girlfriend, I just want to leave. With you. Either stop this or you can say goodbye. To me, to everything we built together. Please.” The last part suddenly clicked with Marleigh how serious this was to Jackie. It made her realize how dumb this whole rampage was. Her heart started to slow down and she began to snap back to reality.


Marleigh took a deep breath in and then out as she dropped her hand to let the girl climb aboard. “I’m sorry Jackie. I-...” Marleigh hung her head down as she realized what she’d just done. Scarred not only her girlfriend but an entire community of micros. “I’m sorry everyone. We’re going now. Just send me the bill, ok? I apologize for that. I’ll pay for everything, I promise.” Marleigh then crouched down as she reached for Jackie’s itty bitty form to stand on her hand. “I didn’t want any of that. I don’t know what came over me. I’m sorry Jackie.”


“It’s- I’m fine Marleigh, just please don’t do that ever again. I mean it.” Jackie looked at Marleigh as she tried her best to avoid stepping on any cars or houses especially. “That last part is a promise, I wasn’t kidding. If you didn’t stop, I’d…” Jackie reached for Marleigh’s thumb as a way of feeling some sort of comfort as the chill of being abandoned by her own family still remained in her heart. 


“I know. I’m sorry for scaring you like that.” Marleigh walked out of the community and back to the train stop a few miles down the road. “It won’t happen again.” Marleigh looked down at Jackie as she just saw the cutest thing she’d ever laid eyes on. “I promise Jackie.” Maleigh, as she was on the main road again held up the hand Jackie was standing on and smiled at her. “Do you forgive me, Jackie?”


“Of course I do. Like I said, just please don’t turn into that Marleigh ever again.” Jackie soon smiled as she kissed Marleigh’s thumb which just made her girlfriend blush. 


“I won’t. I promise. You’re my little princess after all. We don’t need my family or yours to be happy. We have each other. Ok?” Marleigh leaned in for a small smooch as Jackie was red with embarrassment. Her lips were soft as the softest cloud one could imagine as the giant girl just gave the micro a light peck on the head, something she’d become very skilled at. “I love you my sweet little princess.” Marleigh then brought Jackie up to her shoulder where she felt the most safe with her.

 

“I love you too, my vast girl. Now, let’s go get some drinks. Alright?”

Chapter End Notes:

Stay tuned for the next chapter because that is when it gets going. I have a lot planned for the coming future of this story and what will be the finale for this story. It's not gonna be something you want to miss. Anyway, if you enjoyed please feel free to leave a review as anyything helps. See you next time!