- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hello all, now it's time to get into the action. There will be giantess interactions in this chapter. Anyway have fun and see you at the end chapter notes.


 

It was a feeling unlike anything else. Nothing in Diana’s life could come even close to matching the sheer amount of ecstasy she felt in this moment. Watching the frantic humans scurry about at her feet brought out a new sensation of power she never knew was possible. It was intoxicating.

Pillars of smoke began rising out of the partially ruined homes that surrounded her. At some point a fire must have started inside and was spreading as the wreckage grew, but it didn’t bother her, in fact the smokey smell only helped to further pique her appetite.

Diana lowered herself onto all fours as she peered through the window of a nearby building. Inside she spied a small couple cowering in the corner, hoping that the giantess would pass their home if they just stayed inside. They were wrong of course.

Diana’s hand broke through the front of the house, grabbing the two frighten humans. Catching one within her palm and the other between her fingers, she pulled the terrified couple kicking and screaming into the streets. Raising them to her face, she opened her mouth and inserted one of them inside.

As she savored the first human she felt her hold on the other slowly slip away, as the human’s struggling successfully broke them free. Mouth full Diana watched as the human dropped out of her hand and onto the ground.

She continued to play with the human in her mouth as she watched the other; the female of the two, try to run away. Diana watched with predatory intrigue as the human woman rose to her feet sobbing and frantically began to run away. Tilting her head back and sending the man in flailing to the back of her throat, Diana began to pursue her fleeing prey. Before the human woman had the chance to put any distance between them Diana reached out her hand and grabbed her, putting an end to the attempted escape. She could feel the woman’s fists pounding her fingers in a desperate attempt to break free but to a giant like Diana it only felt like a small pleasant tickling sensation which aroused her predator instinct.

Without hesitating Diana popped the woman into her mouth. Closing her lips behind her, Diana worked her tongue, caressing around the curves of the woman’s body and taking time to savor the unique flavor.

There was something about wild humans that made them taste far better than the captive humans sold in the city. Captured humans, especially those that were bred in captivity, lost that zeal that made the wild ones taste so good. They resigned themselves to death, they fought less, were more submissive, lost that spark of survival that humans clung so dearly to. Wild humans still had that spark and the taste reflected it.

Tilting her head back Diana swallowed, sending the human woman to reunite with her friend as well as the rest of the humans she had eaten in this village. Diana closed her eyes enjoying the futile kicks and screams as woman slid down her throat. With a satisfied sigh, she patted her stomach, letting the sensation of the struggling humans wash over her.

She was glad she had gotten the chance to do this. Normally there were restrictions in place that kept giants from entering the human kingdom. The official reasoning was that the government feared that if giants attacks became too frequent the humans would retaliate by starting another war. Diana wasn’t a history buff but she recalled that the humans apparently held their own in the last war between their kinds; even though they were magically inept. To make matters worse there were now rumors of humans that could use magic, causing a slight stir in the giant community. But Diana didn’t believe the rumors, she suspected the real reason for the regulations were not because of fear of human retaliation, but fear decreased human population. A drop in human population would be a drop in a valuable resources and afterall capturing and breeding humans still proved to be inefficient compared to capturing wild ones. Besides Diana wasn’t the only giant that understood that a wild human was a tastier human.

But that had all changed recently. The royal council had decreed that ventures into the human kingdom were free to anyone who was willing to assume the risks. Nobody knew the exact reason for this change; though Diana herself speculated that the reason was because the human population was growing too quickly and this was their way of keeping it in check. But in the end it didn’t matter what the reasoning was, all that mattered was she was here now and she was loving every second of it.

Catching a glimpse of movement from the corner of her eye, Diana spotted a lone woman who was hoping to sneak past her. Meeting her eyes directly, the human knew she had been caught and started to run. Diana smiled. She was planning on stopping for the day, but what was one or two more before she left.

Crawling forward on her hands and knees, Diana’s hips and shoulders crashed into the sides of buildings as she pursued her prey. The woman didn’t get far before Diana was upon her. Reaching her hand down Diana flicked her finger into the woman's back, causing her to fall forward. Lying on the ground the human woman barely had time to look up as Diana’s hand loomed overhead. Tears welled in her eyes and shortly after started to stream down the side of her cheeks. The woman shut her eyes and clasped her hands together as she began praying for help.

Before Diana could grab a hold of her a small sharp pain stun into the back of her hand, causing her to pull back instantly. Examining her hand Diana saw the fletching of a small arrow sticking out of her skin.

“What the…?” She muttered.

Before Diana could further assess what had happened, the woman took the giants hesitation as an opportunity to get back on her feet and run. Diana ignored the pain in favor of her escaping prey. Reaching for her once more another sharp pain struck her in the index finger. Once again recoiling her hand, Diana saw another arrow, this time lodged within her finger tip. Standing up Diana pinched the arrow from her finger, pulling it out like a splinter.

“Alright, who did this?”

Scanning the buildings and roads surrounding her Diana spotted her assailant. A human clad in a green cloak stood at the opening of a nearby alleyway with a bow in their hand.

“There you are.” She said.

Diana took her first step towards the cloaked human, who wasted no time in retreating back into the alley. Diana quickened her pace, peering down the same alley the human had fled she watched as they ran in a straight line towards the open road on the other side. Catching up quickly Diana reached down to grab them, only to be caught off guard as the human gracefully stopped, turned their heel, stepped out of the way of the passing hand, and quickly continued running, making a left onto the main road.

“Clever little thing.” Diana admitted, as the human ran out of sight. Her eyes turned to the series of roofs that belonged to the buildings on the next street over. “But not clever enough.”

Diana brought the palm of her hands towards the rooves, causing them to crack and break spilling the debris into the street on the other side. Stepping over the buildings, Diana spotted the rubble that lay in the street and as the dust settled she smiled to see that her plan had worked.

With their leg pinned under the rubble, the cloaked human laid on the ground, coughing, as they struggled to pull their leg free from under the debris. The hood of their cloak had fallen back revealing the human to be a woman with short rose colored hair. Once more lowering herself onto all fours Diana closed in on her prey.

“Good try, but not good enough it seems.” She said as she licked her lips. The woman remained silent, still struggling in an attempt to free their leg. Diana’s smile only grew.

“I take it by the cloak that you’re supposed to be a hunter, is that right?”

Again the woman stayed quiet.

“Wonderful! I’ve never had hunter before!”

Diana was ecstatic, she never thought she would be given an opportunity like this. Wild humans were rare, but most certainly not impossible to obtain, but hunters were on a whole different level of rarity. Like a choice cut of steak. Humans tasted better when they still fought to survive, hunters not only fought to survive but fought to attack back. The wonder of what that might do to the taste was so alluring Diana couldn’t help it as her mouth began to water.

Reaching down eagerly to savor this new experience, the huntress gave up her frantic attempt to break free and instead turned to face down the giant, one final attempt of defiance before she met her end. But the hand never reached her, for a voice called out, halting the Diana’s approach.

“Touch her and your life will end where you kneel giant!”

Diana’s head turned to see where this voice had come from. Standing on a roof; parallel to the buildings she had just destroyed, was another hunter. A young man in similar attire as the woman, with short blonde hair and fiery green eyes, a sword held in his hand and pointed directly at her.

Smoke from the burning buildings rose over him, with small glints of still burning ash filling the air between them. The way he stood, with stoic confidence enforced his fearlessness, and he looked down at her with murderous intent.

Diana felt a chill run down her spine at the mere sight of him. Everything nerve in her body seemed to scream that this was no ordinary hunter, something about him was special, unlike the hunter woman that laid trapped before her. This hunter was dangerous.  

 


 

It took every ounce of control for Grey not to begin panicking.

Nia was cornered, Zeke was gone and now Grey found himself faced with a giant and no plan. Zeke had given them EXPLICIT orders not to engage her, but to wait for support. It was Kai who first proposed that they should ignore orders and go ahead, confident that with Zeke’s training they didn’t need further support. Nia had been against the idea opting instead to wait as instructed. Grey had been the tie breaker.

He knew they had to be cautious, knew how dangerous it would be, knew that if they were to succeed they needed a plan. He knew that at any point things could go wrong, and now that things were falling apart. Worst of all Nia was the paying for it.

Grey tore himself from his thoughts, as he realized the gian’s attention was still fully on him. She was starting to grow curious due to his inaction, all the while Grey just struggled to keep his sword hand from trembling. He needed to say something.

“Your carnage has lead you to trouble giant, I trust you know who I am?”

Her expression switched back to one of concern. “No…” She hesitated. “...who are you?”

“I am a legendary hunter feared by many of your kind!” Grey said going with his first instinct. “That right, I am a member of The Trinity!”

Really laying into it, aren’t you?

Once again her expression changed, but this time confusioned.

“The who?”

Grey stood dumbstruck. After his previous encounter with giants he had assumed that all of them knew of The Trinity, but he had to continue the bluff.  

“We are the most deadly hunters alive. Using mystic powers to-”

“Oh! You mean the magic using ones.”

Once again her response had thrown him off. He lowered his sword to the side.

“So you do know about us?”

“Well.” The giant began. “I know that it’s all bullshit.”

“Excuse me?” Grey blurted at a complete loss.

“Humans can’t use magic. Everyone knows that. Sure i’ve heard the rumors but it’s probably all some flashy trip.”

“I can’t ever catch a break with these girls can I.”

The giant shifted her position, moving slightly closer to inspect Grey, her lips forming into a smile. Grey was losing control of the situation and fast. Just as he readied himself to retreat, movement from below caught his attention.

Emerging from the ruins of one of the buildings behind the giant, Grey saw another hunter making their way to Nia. It was Kai. Grey knew that if he ran now he would be leaving them open. He needed to buy enough time for them to get away.

“Bullshit is it?” Grey shot back, quickly recovering character. “Do you really want to take that chance?”

“Sure.” The giantess responded faster than he had anticipated.  “Go on.” She continued. “Show me your magic.”

“Well she has me there.”

With Kai and Nia right at her feet, Grey needed to do something.

Lowering his head and flashing a smile Grey began to chuckle aloud, slowly at first, but eventually growing it into a harty almost robust laugh. His laughter suddenly stopped and in a quick fluid motion he swung up his sword, pointing it skyward. The sudden movement caused the giantess to jolt back; despite her supposed certainty..

“Alright.” Grey started. “But don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

The giantess watched anxiously as Grey swung his sword in a downward arc. Instinctively she flinched and closed her eyes, a gesture Grey couldn’t help but find amusing.

Opening her eyes however the giant was met with something she didn’t expect. Grey had swung his hand down, but not in an attack, but instead into a low bow. His head tilted up as his eyes met hers, his body still held in the curtsy.

“I surrender.” He said with a smile.

She giant looked at him completely speechless. Grey stood back up to full height.

“Congratulations, you’ve called my bluff. I must say of all the giants I’ve come across you are the first to see past my facade, I am truly dealing with a giant of a greater caliber than most.”

While still trying to avoid making direct eye contact, Grey could only imagine what Nia and Kai were thinking of his ploy. He had just given away his bluff as if it were nothing, to them his move must have seemed like a death wish, but unlike them Grey had dealt with giants once before, and he had learned a lot from that previous encounter.

“Heh, well it was rather obvious.” The giantess proclaimed with a hint of pride. “The idea of humans using magic is just ludicrous after all, I’m surprised the trick fooled anyone to begin with.”

Grey rested his sword before him, using it to steady himself as he visibly relaxed, all helping to make himself seem less threatening but at the same time keeping the sword unsheathed.

“I applaud you madam giant. I knew eventually I would run into a giant such as yourself. One clever enough to catch me in my own lie.”

The giantess looked at him skeptically. “You seem rather okay with this?”

Grey feigned an expression of alarm.

“Why yes, here allow me explain, I am a hunter of honor; of sorts anyway. I will be front with you, where I lack in physical prowess I make up for in intellect. Thus I concocted a trick to fool giants, but I knew it wouldn’t last. I knew that one day I would meet a giant who would catch me unprepared, one that I could not fool.  

“I’ve spent many sleepless night wondering how I might react whenever that day were to come, so ultimately I decided to make peace with it. I would recognize any giant that could figure me out as my intellectual superior. It’s only right that I take comfort in being bested by someone better than me, and accept whatever fate decides to throw my way. But I must say, I never could have imagined that the giant who would catch me would be so beautiful.”

“Perhaps that was a bit much.”

Grey was certain he had overdone it when he noticed the giant eyeing him extremely skeptically.

“Right… so why should I believe a single word of your story, you claim to be so smart, wouldn’t you sooner try to trick me and escape rather than accept your own fate?”

“Well that would be the obvious course of action. But you just pointed it out, didn’t you?” The giant nodded her head, seeing what he was getting at.

”If you were clever enough to see past my previous trick, I knew you would also be clever enough to keep me from escaping. As far as I can tell, you’ve caught me in a checkmate, might as well enjoy what little time I have left. Besides it’s not everyday I get to speak to such a beautiful woman.”

“I suppose that makes sense.” The giant muttered.

“Still gullible.”

The giantess’s expression changed into a playful smile. “You know, you're turning out to be pretty entertaining for a human. Keep this up and I might just keep your around for a little while.” She said in a suggestive tone.

“Keep me!?” Grey didn’t even think to hide his surprise. “I… I’m afraid I don’t understand.”

The giant’s smile grew. “Let’s just say...” Her eyes looking over his body. “... it’s for personal reasons.”

He didn’t need any more context.

“I… I...” Grey began stuttering.

“Don’t act all innocent.” The giantess continued, seeing how flustered he had become. “You think I didn’t notice your little attempts at flirting. A bold move, but I get it. Hey, for a human you’re not too sore on the eyes either. I’m sure I could get some use out you. Maybe even a couple. No promises though, it all depends on when my appetite comes back.”

The giant moved her face in closer, her eyes glossed over with a seductive spark as she slowly licked her lips. Grey’s face reddened deeper then he thought possible and instinctively took a step back. The giant’s eyes examined him over once more.

“What’s the matter? You shy all of a sudden?”

“This-” Grey stuttered trying to find the words. “-is just new for me.”

“What? Never been with a lady before?”

“No!” Grey shot back defensively. “Just never one of your… ‘stature’.”

“Well.” The giantess began. “Once we’ve returned to the city I’ll make sure that you become very acquainted with a woman of my... ‘stature’.”

“I’m going to die.”

Luckily Grey didn’t have to play around with that notion any longer. Movement from below caught his attention. Using Kai as a crutch, Nia was once again on her feet. It was evident her leg was in bad shape, but she could still stand, albeit weakly.

Kai looked up to Grey’s position giving him a thumbs up. Nia was free, now they just needed to get to safety. Grey just had to keep the giant distracted a little longer. From there it would just be stalling until reinforcements arrived, and by the giant’s new apparent interest in him he was sure he could find a way to stall her long enough for that. Despite how badly the whole situation had gotten, things were starting to look up.  

“What are you staring at?”

And like that, it all falls apart.

Grey realized his mistake immediately. While checking on Nia and Kai, Grey had taken his eyes away from the giant for too long. Before he had time to come up with a answer, the giantess turned around and was surprised by what she saw.

 

 

 

Diana turned to find the human woman she had been ignoring was no longer pinned, but even more than that was accompanied by a new human. This one with black hair and a slightly tanned complexion, but most interestingly he was wearing the same uniform as the other two.

Diana smiled. Things just kept getting better. Not only had she had her fill of humans from the village, but now she had three hunters ripe for the pickings. She would help herself to the two in front of her, and save the talkative one for later. He had another use he could serve.

Reaching down for the two below her, the dark haired man quickly threw the female to the side. He reached for the sword at his hip, but Diana didn’t waste any time. Catching him between her fingers his arms were pinned as she lifted him off of the ground. Diana took note of the huntress he had tossed aside. She had fallen was struggling to get up. Diana paid her no mind, with her injuries she wouldn’t get far. Besides Diana didn’t have any intention on wasting time with this hunter. She opened her mouth bringing him closer to her face, getting ready to savor his flavor. Until he shouted something that made Diana stop.

“Grey! Now!”

Diana stopped what she was doing and quickly turned back to The Hunter on the roof. She was overcome with dread as she realized the mistake she had made in ignoring him.

The blonde haired hunter had leapt off the roof, sword clenched in both hands, readying to strike as he fell forward towards her neck.

 

 

 

Grey held his sword high as he fell towards his mark. The giantess turned to face him giving him just the opening he needed to strike. All he had to do was leave a clean slice across her throat and it would be over. This was the moment he had trained for, the moment he would finally become a true hunter.

As the giants face came into view something was different. He was no longer looking at the same giant who was terrorizing this village. Instead she appeared to be someone, someone Grey had not seen since his two years of training. A face that caused his heart to stop as it looked up anguish of being betrayed.

“Jule?”

It was her, clear as day. Her green eyes, black hair, cute petite nose and light complexion. All of it looking back at him in confusion on what he was about to do. Grey was knew that the moment to strike was now, but as it came his muscles tensed up and as he fell past missing his mark completely.

Grey barely had time to snapped back to reality as caught himself landing in a roll as he hit the ground. Kneeling in a daze he shook his head, realizing what just happened. Looking back at the giant the face he found that the face of Jule was gone and in her place was once again the giantess he had intended to kill.

The giant’s eyes were wide as her free hand reflexively reached for her throat. Tracing her neck with her fingers, the giant let out a relieved sigh.

“That was a little too close for comfort.” Turning back to Grey, she continued. “I think it’s best I take away that weapon.”

As her hand drew near, Grey lifted his blade up defensively, keeping the hand at bay. The giant hesitated, but only for a moment before proceeding with little concern.

“Of all the times to get cold feet!” Kai called out, still within the giant’s grasp.

Opening his mouth Kai bit down into the giant’s hand, managing to draw blood in the process.Crying out in pain, the giant dropped him as he landed on his feet.

“You little shit!” The giant cried as she tried to grab him again.

This time she didn’t get the chance as Kai drew his sword, wielding it in both hands. Kai swung his sword in a vertical slice as the giant’s hand drew near. Pulling back the giant cried out, as blood ran down the tip of her finger. Kai turned to Grey, the edge of his sword dripping with the giant’s blood.

“Don’t just stand there, we have too-” was the last thing Kai could say.

Time seemed to slow down as Grey watched what happened next. The giant swung her hand as the back of it made contact with Kai. He offered little resistance as the momentum sent him flying through the air, colliding with a nearby building.

Making an indent in the brick foundation, Kai’s body hit the ground, his eyes vacant, his face still holding onto pained look he had as he hit the building. His body slumped forward, motionionless. Grey expected him to cry out, to scream, move, wince, anything. But as the moment passed it became clear he wouldn’t. Not anymore.

The giant appeared to share Grey’s surprise, as she brought her finger over to poke him, to no response.

“That's disappointing.” She said as she continued to poke Kai’s body. “You’d think being a hunter he would’ve put up more of a fight.”

Grab his sword Grey charged forward, as he let out an infuriated scream. He had no plan as he charged her, just a anger infused instinct to avenge his fallen friend.

“I’ll give you a fight, you bitch!” Grey cried out in his charge.

That was his mistake.

The giant turned and saw Grey’s charge well before he had a chance to strike. Half handedly and almost without thought, Grey found himself knocked off his feet, the giant effortlessly pushing him to the ground. Grey fell back, but refused to surrender. Keeping his grip on the sword Grey maneuvered into a roll, quickly regaining his footing. He pushed forward again, readying his sword for another charge. The giant no longer seemed amused by his petty attempts and brought her finger down catching Grey in a powerful flick, throwing him off balance and tossing the sword from his hand.

“That's enough of that.” She said.

Grey regained his balance, but was still caught up in the shock of how quickly he had been disarmed. Two years of training and it appeared nothing had changed.

Grey could feel the giants fingers wrap around him, but couldn’t summon the strength to resist them, as his mind continued to react to his simple defeat. Years of training and knowledge to prepare him to take down giants, all wasted in a single moment.

Grey felt himself lifted into the air, as he was brought before the giants face. She looked him over again, this time somewhat disappointed.

“I have to be honest human, I was excited about keeping you around, but after that display I’m having second thoughts.”

The giant paused as she remembered the female hunter. Looking around she spotted Nia, using the wall of one of the nearby buildings as support, desperately trying to limp away. Smiling the giant caught her with little effort.

She held the two hunters up to her face as she inspected them. Nia who struggled slightly but was too weak to put an actual fight, and Grey who seemed to have just given up entirely.

“Well isn’t this a sad sight. If you're truly the best humanity has to offer, than our kingdom’s more paranoid than I thought.” The giant’s gaze turned skyward as she began to ponder.

“You know, after all that excitement I think I worked back up an appetite. Sure this village was filling, but I think I still have room for at least two more. Seeing as how your friend’s dead, I’ll just have to make do with you two.”

Grey felt a shift as the giant opened her hand slightly, transferring Nia to the same one that held him. He felt an increased pressure as the giant tightened her grip this time pushing the two of them together.

“Aww, you two make a delectable couple.” The giant laughed. “I wonder if I can swallow you both at the same time, wanna give it a shot?”

While Grey couldn’t see Nia’s face, he could hear her voice whimpering at what was to come next. Feeling a wave of humid air wash over him, Grey knew instantly what that was.

The giant’s lips came into view as the she prepared to take both of them into her mouth. Her jaw widening with an audible ‘ahhh’ as her throat twitched in the back. Grey was given full view of the giants mouth, from her lips leading to the back of her throat. Her tongue rolled out underneath them, as they were slowly placed on top, the giant’s grip released. Grey noticed as Nia tried to sit up, but he knew better. Before she had the chance to situate herself, the giant’s tongue pulled them in, her lips sealing shut behind them

Nia sat up, her breathing heavily.

“Grey!” She cried, grabbing onto his arm. “What do we do?”

Before Grey could decide on a response ,he found Nia tossed on top of him as the giant’s tongue flipped, an action that quickly put them into an uncomfortable position.

The tongue began to move over their bodies as the giant let out a delighted moan. Her mouth shifted, tossing them as she spoke.

“You hunters are absolutely delectable!” She proclaimed, her thunderous voice assaulting their ears.

As the giant’s tongue continued to work on their bodies, Grey heard Nia’s frantic pleas.

“No.” She sobbed. “No. No. No. No. No. No. No.” She repeated as they were thrown about inside the mouth.

Grey could only imagine what she was going through, the sheer terror she must be experiencing. Doing the only thing he could think of Grey wrapped his arms around her, catching her by surprise. She violently thrashed in his arms, but Grey refused to let her go. Using as much strength as he could muster he rolled her around, putting himself between the giant’s tongue and her.

Nia continued to fight him, but he expected this. The tongue worked across his back, traveling across every inch of his body. To Grey this feeling was familiar, something he had already experienced before. Defilement, humiliation, weakness. Grey hated it, but he wasn’t going to allow Nia’s final moments to be subjected to same humiliation. Not if he could do something about it.

Each time the tongue shifted, Grey would shift with it. He refused to let the giant have her way with Nia, and each time Nia continued to fight in his arms, yet he refused to let go. The two of them were thrown around within the mouth for what felt like a never ending experience, but eventually like all hardships, it did. Grey laid with his back on the giant’s tongue, Nia on top of him both of them drenched in saliva that stuck between their bodies. Nia slowly began to calm down and while her sob’s softened they did not stop.

“W-why did it stop?” Nia managed to asked through hoarse voice.

Grey didn’t respond. He didn’t need to as the giant tilted her head sending the two of them sliding towards the back of her throat. Their bodies drenched in the saliva, gave no resistance as they slid to the backward. Grey felt the the giant’s esophagus grip onto his legs, as it pulled them down further. It was a slower process than Grey had remembered, and this time much tighter with Nia’s body pressed up against. The pressure the muscles forced on them was enough to steal the very breath from Grey’s lounges. He could tell that she was struggling to get the both of them down, something Grey took a small comfort in.

“I hope you choke on us you bitch.”

Finally peristalsis took full effect, as the speed in which the two hunters descended picked up. All hope that the giant might choke to death ended as Grey and Nia found themselves deposited into a chamber, splashed into a pool of unknown substance.

Grey managed to stand up. Surrounded in darkness and drenched in a slick viscous liquid, the first thing he realized was that they were not alone in here. Weak cries and begging screams paraded the chamber, as the giant’s previous victims fought to find a way out. Behind their voices he ambient sounds of the stomach squelches and groans answered them as the liquid and chamber shifted slightly.

Grey heard coughing emerge from his side, as familiar voice rose up.

“Grey?“ He heard Nia call for him.

“I’m here Nia.”

Grey felt two wet warm arms wrap around him, as Nia buried her head into his chest. Grey hesitant on what to do before deciding to place a hand to comfort her.

“Grey… what are your orders?”

Grey was taken aback.

“Orders?” He repeated at a loss. .

“Orders? What are your orders?” she said almost pleading.

“I…”

“There has to be something we can do!” Nia practically screamed. “Isn’t there?”

“I…” Grey began, searching for anything that might comfort her.

“I don’t think there is.”

 

 

 

Diana let out a content sigh. She laid back and rubbed her belly, enjoying the fullness the two hunters added.

Between them both hey proved difficult to swallow, but now that they were down it was well worth the effort. She just needed to remember to pace herself nextime, and there would be a next time. After she had gotten back to the story, and became the envy of all her friends, she would return. Maybe bring a few people with her.

Rising to her feet, Diana stretched lazily as she prepared for the trip back home. If she hadn’t been full before she was now. It was time she called this a successful trip and head back. Maybe she would even grab a human or two for the trip back.

As she readied to depart, Diana noticed a small faint glimmer out of the corner of her eye. Turning her head she was met with a blinding green light.

 

 

 

The giant's body collapsed to the ground, as debris and dust flew into the air upon impact. There was no fight, no struggle, just an end to the carnage.

Lowering his bow Zeke relaxed, a slight breeze settling around him as the effects of the spell began to fade. From his perch on a nearby hill, Zeke could make out most of the remains of the village. The hill had provided him good vantage point, high enough for him to not worry about the treeline, but close enough that he had ample sight on his target. Not that he needed much, it was often more difficult to miss a giant than hit one.

Stringing his bow across his shoulder, Zeke began to walk hearing the sounds of hurried hoof beats approaching his location. Five hunters on horseback approached him. Drawing their steeds to a halt, a hunter on a white horse approached before the rest. He was an older man especially by hunter standards. Chestnut brown beard and hair, with signs of graying, a look most hunters never lived to have.

“Master Zeke.” The man began. “We arrived as soon as we could but-”

“The threat’s been dealt with.” Zeke stated. “Proceed ahead and when you reach the village make sure to cut her open. If we move quickly we may be able to save any survivors she has stewing in her gut.”

“-and you sir?”

“I’m going ahead. See what kind of damage we’re dealing with.” Zeke turned to leave before stopping, turning to add another order. “There are supposed to be three recruits in the area. When you find them come get me immediately.”

The oldest rider nodded before turning to his fellow hunters and riding off, the group making their way towards the town. Zeke watched them leave before swearing quietly to himself.

A faint green aura began to emit from his body, as he quickly took off in a sprint. The wind around him picked up, almost carrying him with each step. His body felt lighter as each stride took his further than the last, quicking his speed in the process.

“Once more, that witch wasted my time.” Zeke said to himself. The current of air acting violently as he spoke.

Zeke could feel the drain the spell was having on his body. Despite the great power he wielded, continued use often proved to be exhausting. The magic didn’t so much make running any less difficult, as it allowed him to cover more ground quicker. That in addition to the focus it took to maintain its effects, as well as the stamina to summon it. To make matter worse Zeke was already pushing himself as was. Not only had he used his magic to help reach the town, but then immediately upon arrival he charged one of his most taxing yet deadly powers on the giant. A spell that combined magical energy and manipulated air movement to increase the speed and momentum of a single arrow, allowing for an impact devastating enough to pierce even through a giant’s skull. It as a power that had killed more giants than most could ever hope to match, but the toll it took on him was great, even after years of practice.

Yet Zeke couldn’t allow himself to rest, not yet. Not until he was sure that his team was safe. After all, they had grown to mean a lot to him over the last two years.

Kai had been the first unexpected recruit thrown on his lap. After Zeke had announced he would be training someone, The Order allowed it under the condition that he saw to the training of Kai as well. Zeke reluctantly agreed.

The Hunter Order’s most popular form of recruitment was through stayed sentencings, meaning that most Hunters who joined The Order were criminals in some shape or form. Kai was not exception, although his case was a bit more unique.

Having been a part of a bandit group, Kai was already an excellent sword fighter when he was recruited. On multiple occasions the bandits he ran with came into blows with local guards, militia, and even mercenaries. Each time Kai and his group came out the victors. That was until the King’s Guard got involved. Many in Kai’s group were slaughtered, and those that survived were sentenced to death. It was reported that Kai didn’t stop fighting even after they had already lost, taking a few knights down with him. Ultimately he was overwhelmed, before being knocked unconscious. The local authorities wanted to see him hang, but The Hunters couldn’t let such skill go to waste.Kai was given an offer, a stay of execution if he joined them. They expected him to decline, but he couldn’t have been happier with the deal. The prospect of killing giants appealed to him more than meeting a noose, and so Kai was handed to Zeke.

Kai’s talent for combat was unmatched by the other recruits but his attitude needed work. He arrogant, confrontial, a real “do it himself” kinda guy. A attitude that would get any normal hunter killed within seconds. Though Zeke couldn’t fault him too much, he saw a lot of himself in that, except Zeke actually had the power to pull it off. It took almost the entire first year to get Kai to warm up to the idea of teamwork, and even that his ego was far from fixed, but he began showing great signs of improvement.

Nia was a woman Zeke had personally taken under his wing. A woman recruited into the The Hunters was a rare occurrence. She had been charged with an assault crime and chose joining as her punishment. It was a charge Zeke had been skeptical of. Nia was a far different person than Kai, joining with almost experience that made her qualified for the task.

While women joining were rare, they were not unheard of. This was evident due to Trinity’s status within The Order. The Order had a rule that it would take any able bodied individual that wished to serve, regardless of age, gender, or social status. It was a rule created during a time when even women and children would do in the fight against giants.

Zeke had taken it upon himself to train her. Teaching her how to hunt, fight, set a camp, ride a horse, relay messages, any and everything that would prepare her for the field. Zeke was overjoyed when Nia began showing talent with a bow. It may have been a personal bias, but Zeke couldn’t help but nurture her training in that direction. It was reminiscent of older times, back when Zeke had trained the other children he was around how to hunt with a bow. Just like he had with the last member of the group.

Grey the person Zeke had personally chosen to join the hunters, and the only person left Zeke had left from his life before The Hunters. Grey’s unusual recruitment had made him a curiosity among The Order, but after the initial wonder faded everyone seemed to write him off. Grey was agile, crafty, and sneaky thanks to spending years as a thief in The Capital, and while his survival skills were rusty he picked them back up rather quickly. But Grey had one advantage that few recruits hads. He had already dealt giants before. It was this reason Zeke remained calm as he approached the village. Grey was a smart, knew how dangerous giants where. He knew that confronting one without the appropriate support would be suicide, and years of living in the The City streets had instilled within him a natural sense of caution. Zeke knew he had little to worry about, but it did not stop him all the same.

As he arrived on the edge of town, the green aura began to fade as he slowed to a jog. He wasted no time Zeke began his investigation of the attack. Billows of smoke rose to the air and the debris destroyed buildings littered out into the streets. This village had been the last to receive support, while hunters focused on dispatching the other giants.

Making his way through the desolate town Zeke couldn’t help but feel a tinge of guilt for what had happened. Things wouldn’t have escalated to this level if he had just arrived sooner, he was a Member of The Trinity after all. He prided himself with that title, knowing he had the power to end any giant’s rampage as soon as it began. But seeing the carnage this giant had brought only reminded, despite his power it was never enough. Giants would always continue to consume human lives.

Walking down the empty streets Zeke was able to spot the giant’s body. She laid in the middle of town, her body having crushed what buildings were around her when she fell. Zeke approach her without caution. He stood before the now lifeless body, examining her face and the large bleeding hole on her forehead that was about 2 feet in diameter. A clean shot. He recalled how felt after his first kill. There was something about standing next to the lifeless body of such a large and powerful creature; knowing that he had been the one to take it down. It brought forth an intense sensation of both pride and satisfaction, realizing the power he wielded. But that feeling had long since left, as know he felt nothing, just another giant dead.

The sound of hooves on cobblestone alerted Zeke to the arrival of the other hunters. He turned away from the body, intent to let the hunters do their work when something caught his attention. It was a body, back hunched against the stone wall of a nearby building wearing a clock with the same greenish gray mesh that was iconic amongst The Hunters.

Something about seeing the body made Zeke’s blood run cold. There weren’t supposed to be any Hunters here… except...

As the riders approached, Zeke ran to the body to confirm his fears. Approaching Zeke recognized the body as Kai. He had received a large blunt force to the back of his head as blood dripped down strands of long dark hair. Whatever trauma he had sustained broke his neck instantly, causing his head to slump forward in an unnatural fashion.

One of the hunters approached from behind as Zeke inspected the body. He muttered something but Zeke couldn’t make out what as is mind began putting the pieces together. What was Kai doing here? What happened to him? When did it happen?

Then he froze as another question enter his mind. Where were Grey and Nia?

“Sir? Is everything all-”

“Cut her open...” Zeke muttered.

“I’m sorry? I didn’t quite catch that, what did you-”

“I said cut her open!” Zeke snapped.

The hunter stepped back startled, but didn’t hesitate to get to work. Zeke watched as he pressed the tip of his sword into the giant’s abdomen, creating a incision. The other hunters got to work in joined him, another using their sword to assist in the cutting while the other two helped pulling back the flesh. Zeke hoovered behind them anxiously.

It didn’t take long for them make progress, cutting a sizable opening into the giant's stomach. One of the hunters threw aside his weapon as two others assisted in holding open the hole. The first hunter knelt towards opening, calling inside.

“If there are any survivors, please make your way towards me!” He called within.

Zeke heard only faint voice rise up in response, the loudest of them sobs of anguish. He couldn’t have guessed how many people were in there, though as the hunters began assisting those still alive, the gluttonous nature of this giant became clear.

The hunter assisted by pulling each survivor that came his way out of the giant’s gut, another worked behind him to assist those that needed it. A woman broke out in tears as one of the hunters helped her to the ground, a man muttered under his breath as his mind still processed the horror he had experienced, a couple held one another in their arms, each reassuring that they were now safe.

Zeke paced more anxiously with each survivor that was pulled out, none of which he recognized. Usually it warmed his heart to see the faces of those he had saved, especially in situations as bad as this one, but with each new survivor his fears for what happened to his team grew worse. Just as Zeke began suspect the worst had happened, one of the hunters pulled up the limping form of a red haired woman, one Zeke recognized at once.

“Nia!” Zeke cried out, running to her side.

She was in a bad shape, struggling to stand at all as Zeke supported her. He carried her a few feet from the giant’s body and set her down, kneeling for support. She disoriented as her eyes adjusted to the light.

“Nia it’s alright. It’s me, Zeke.”

Her eyes flickered with recognition as she looked his way.

“Nia, I know a lot is going on right now but I need to know, where is Grey?”

Before Nia could repond, a voice called out from behind.

“I’m right here.”

Zeke turned as Grey emerged from the hole. Zeke got to his feet rushing to his friend. Relieved to see him alive Zeke smiled, though Grey did not share his enthusiasm. In fact Grey did not even look at him, instead keeping his eyes cast at the ground wearily approached.

“Grey, what happened” Zeke asked. But once again the voice that answered was not the one he expected.

“Yes Grey, what happened indeed.”

Each of the hunters stood at alert as a man of large stature with graying peppered hair approached the site. He wore hunter’s garb like the rest, but unlike the others his armor utilized metal plating in place of the hardened leather, and his cloak was dark crimson instead of the grayish green most of the other wore. Accompanying him were a group of more hunters, all walking in an organized formation, stopping and standing diligently for orders.

“Barron... you sure didn’t take long.” Zeke stuttered.

“After the mess you left us with Zeke, there wasn’t much that needed done.”

Barron walked passed Zeke surveying the immediate area. The hunters already here formed a salute as he passed.

Barron walked directly towards Grey who quickly corrected himself by mimicking the salutes of the others. Barron stopped and took one glance at him, as he stood diligently covered in stomach bile.

“Hunters!” Barron suddenly called out.“I need five men to go out and search for survivors. Check all the houses but be wary of structural damages. Some of these buildings are holding on by threads.”

He turned to the group that had previously been working on the giant’s body.

“Did you rescue all those inside?”

“We have sir.” The eldest among them answered.

“Good. Go take care of the wounded, if there are any that are in critical condition prepare to take them back to The Keep.” Barron then turned his attention to Grey and Nia. “That includes the two of you.

“Hunter Nia. In your condition I don’t expect much, but where you can assist in the preparation to return home. Hunter Grey, I expect the same.”

Both nodded without hesitation.

“Go forth then.” Barron announced, as the hunters departed to carry out their duties.

Grey quickly made his way to assist Nia but before he could Barron placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Know that once things have been taken care of, both of your actions will reviewed from today. Do you understand?”

“Yes sir.” The two answered back hesitantly.

“Dismissed.” Barron said before walking away.

Zeke watched the them depart, Grey helping the unstable Nia to her feet and slowly departing. Zeke decided he would need to speak with them another time as he quickly turned to chase after Barron.

“What the hell was that?” Zeke questioned sounding a little more than irritated.

“The incident today is a problem and will need to be addressed.” Barron answered without stopping.

Zeke taken aback by Barron’s response reached his hand and grabbed him by the shoulder. Barron stopped almost immediately as hunters working in the area stopped seeing what Zeke had done.

“This ‘incident’ is Trinity’s fault! If I had been here like originally planned none of this would’ve happened!”

Barron’s sharp gaze turned to the hunters watched them, all of whom turned quickly back to their task as they felt Barron watching them. Seeing that they were once again working he turned to face Zeke as he spoke.

“The heavy loss of life here is a tragedy, but it’s not what i’m referring to. As hunters we are accustomed to these kinds of casualties. No, the incident I am referring to seems to be the rise of insubordination, more specifically your earlier actions.”

Zeke froze as he realized his mistake by being too fiery. Barron continued to walk, motioning Zeke to walk with him.

“Zeke you’ve been apart of this organization for over ten years now, and of those ten you’ve been one of the Trinity for about six. Since that time you’ve been no stranger to neglecting orders. Always following your gut instinct, if i’m being it’s something I admire about you. I’ve come to trust your instincts and even rely on them at time, because I’ve always known you acted with humanity’s best interest at heart. But lately I’ve started questioning your loyalties.”

“So if the issue here is me why are you putting Grey and Nia on review?”

“You’ve had a hand in training both, so their actions can be seen as an extension of your own. The team sent here today were given explicit orders to wait for backup before engaging, orders they failed to follow. To be honest there actions are the least of my concern. My main concern were what you did today. Not only were you reluctant to follow out an order that required your assistance, but you went ahead and acted against such orders just so that you could return to the previous task at hand.”

“Trinity didn’t need all three of us, she could could have dealt with the giant and-”

“You  slew the giant The Council ordered us to take back alive!” Barron shouted, once again catching the attention of the other hunters.

“That giant was too dangerous to be kept around, don’t tell me you didn’t want to just kill the thing either.”

“What I want is of no concern. What mattered was we were given orders to bring it back alive, and you knowingly went against those orders, all because you wanted to get back to your team.”

Barron took a deep sigh before continuing.

“Ever since you recruited Grey you’ve been distracted Zeke. I know the two of you share a past, and I have been lenient about it up till now, but your actions today costed The Order dearly, and i’m afraid so long as Grey’s around this kind of behavior will continue. Today was the first day they saw combat, and not only that, but it was a day we needed you at your best. Your actions only confirmed what I’ve long since feared. So long as Grey is in the field, you will always be distracted, and that is something we cannot afford. Especially with everything that’s been going on.”

Zeke remained silent for a moment before finding the words to respond.

“If that is the case, then why even bring him before The Council?”

Barron looked at Zeke, their eyes meeting for the first time since their conversation began.

“While my thoughts on the matter stand, I shall allow Grey to speak for himself. We shall determine whether or he is an asset or a liability.”

Barron’s attention returned to his surroundings as oversaw the work of the other hunters.

“You may attend the trial Zeke, but due to your bias you shall have no say in it. That is all.”

Barron continued to walk, as Zeke slowed to a stop. He made no formal gesture, or proper acknowledgement of his dismissal, instead he simply turned and walked the opposite direction.

It was preposterous for Barron to insinuate that his judgement was clouded. Zeke had always done what was right for The Order. Six years of dedication had proven that. As far as he was concerned Trinity was the one with poor judgment, to think she could actually capture a giant that much power alive and interrogate them for answers? It was too dangerous, and in the middle of a multiscale invasion it was ludicrous to even attempt it. To insinuate that he was the one with poor judgement. Never in his years as a hunter had he ever hesitated to...

Zeke paused as a thought crossed his mind.Remembering a time where he did waiver in his duties. A time over a years ago when he failed to uphold his oath as one of The Trinity. It was the day he found Grey captured amongst the giants. Zeke began wonder if his judgement really was slipping...

No. It wasn’t. He had to remember there was a good reason he failed to uphold his duties that day. Amelia the Giant Queen. It was his job as one of The Trinity to slay her if she ever returned. She had, yet she was nothing like the monster The Order made her out to be. There was something very wrong about the entire situation, something that bothered Zeke for the last two years. If Amelia, the horrid monster was not as The Order described, then what else had they gotten wrong… or perhaps hiding from him?

Zeke allowed these thoughts to tease him. What could it all mean. There was so much he still didn’t know, didn’t even think to ask until recently. They were questions for another day, for now Zeke had to return to his team. He would find his answers, but for now they needed him more.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hope you all enjoyed it. The few chapters are going to be devoted to setting up the adventure and related plot development stuff. No giants i'm afraid. So just be wary. Anyway thank you all for reading, and i'll add more once I put these last couple chapters through the final edit.