- Text Size +

"I'm not sure.  He's so tiny.  Where did he come from?  Are there more like him?  This is all too weird."  I couldn't argue with Sam about that.  Although it was certainly weirder from my perspective.   Hell, I wasn't fully sure what the correct answer was.  I didn't really have an interest in becoming some scientific curiosity or a freakshow.  


A massive shadow darkening the world around me had me look up to see Sam's face looking down at me.  "Can you understand me?"  She was clearly trying to speak softly although her voice sounded loud to my ears.  I waved up at her, cupping my hands together while shouting "yes".   With her looking at me, even if she couldn't hear she'd understand right?  


"You do understand!"  That happy loud squeal hurt my ears but at the same time brought hope.  Sam was trying to communicate and sooner or later I'd get the situation across to her.  


The next couple of hour were a sequence of revelations.  Alice and Sam tried to figure a faster way to communicate than charades.  Eventually Sam put a pair of dice, one bright green, the other gold and told me the gold was yes, and the green meant no.  From there began the slow game of twenty questions except with it being a lot more than twenty.   I quickly got across the point that I'd been shrunk.  From there it went through a bunch of other things finally reaching that yes I lived nearby and yes I know Sam.  


Once we got that that Sam's face lowered even closer to where I was standing, blue eyes focusing on me, clearly trying to place who I was.  "I can't tell.  You're just too filthy."  Sam's face pulled back away and before I could wonder what was next Sam's left hand came down, covering the sky above me as her thumb and forefinger came around me.  I grunted as they pressed me between them with strength I couldn't even begin to resist.  And yet I realized that Sam was trying to be gentle as I was brought up into the air.  


She placed me in the palm of her right hand, putting her left over it, as if to hide me from the world, or maybe protect me.  It was hard to be sure as she started walking.  It was just a matter of seconds until she reached her destination and as her left hand rose up I found myself looking down at a sink.  I almost laughed as I realized I was in that same bathroom where Sam had almost knocked me out with the water from her hair.  Had it really only been two days since then?  It felt like so much more time had passed.  


Her left hand reached over and turned on the sink and she seemed to fiddle with the water a bit before she was satisfied.  She turned over her hand under the water before letting some pour in and then brought it up, before raising the hand I was sitting on next to it.  She then tilted the hand with the water in it slightly, letting pour onto me.   "Try and get as much of that stuff off of you as you can".   Her voice almost soft.  


Ever try and get encrusted melted cinnamon roll frosting off with lukewarm water?  It's not as easy as it looks.  Especially when you're almost completely coated in it.  Still I got a lot of it out and was soon something almost resembling clean.  I hadn't realized how good it would feel.  The rain had left me more bedraggled than anything.  This was actually refreshing.


As I cleaned myself, Sam continued to watch, and I could see that moment of recognition.  When her mouth dropped open, and her eyes widened.  "Alex?"  Her shock and surprise causing me to wince as her voice roared over me.  


"Wait.  Your gaming friend?"  Alice's head popped up over Sam's shoulder.  I'd forgotten about her in all honesty.  "The one you said you caught staring at your boobs once or twice?"  Alice giggled as she spoke.  I mean I guess I could get her amusement but really, did she have to bring that up right now?  


"Yeah, this is him."  As she spoke, Sam's fingers curled up and around me, enclosing me in darkness as I felt her start walking again.  Had Alice's words angered her?  Shit.  The last thing I wanted was Sam angry.   Almost as soon as she started walking though, she came to a stop and her hand opened up once again.  It tilted slightly clearly indicating that I should get off of it.  I clambered down it, finally coming to a stop on another large object.  The spot I was on was dark although it seemed to have a mix of different colors.


Above me Sam burst into laughter.  I would've asked what was funny until she deigned to point it out to me.  "Don't you recognize what you're standing on?  It's the Player's Handbook."  Sam giggled, looked over at Alice who was giving her a confused look as she clearly didn't get the humor, and then started laughing harder.  I sat down chuckling a bit myself.  It was kind of amusing.  It did feel like some weird D&D campaign.  Where we'd finally reached the end.  Looking around more I could see I was on Sam's desk.  She was turning red from laughing.  It wasn't that funny but I think it might've been her way of relieving some of the weirdness of this entire situation.  


Finally Sam calmed down enough to talk once again.  "But enough playing around.  We have to decide what to do."  Sam's face lowered until it was almost touching the book upon which I stood.  One of her blue eyes watching me.  I shivered a little under it's gaze, being reminded once again of my nudity.  And blushing as I remembered I'd seen Sam the same way even if she didn't know it.  

Chapter End Notes:

 

 

 

 

The next chapter or two will conclude our story.  For those who have been reading this feel free to share your opinion.  Should Alex have a happy ending?  Or will the final chapters be bittersweet?