- Text Size +
To both of our surprise, Cadence wasn't waiting for us when we walked in. Her bedroom door was closed. It was still pretty early though, as we left literally first thing in the morning.


"I think I'm going to go to the studio, so I'll see you around." Keira said, unceremoniously, before turning to leave.


"Is Tess going to be there?" I asked, expectantly.


"Why, you wanna cry to her about Cadence's mom?" Keira teased.


The truth was. . . Yes, I did. Plus I needed to talk to her about taking me home, but Keira was making me feel self-conscious about it now.


So I did the only thing I could. . . I turned and walked away with out a word. Immediately I felt footsteps behind me.

"Oh come on then! I was just kidding! Don't be like that. Yes, she will be there at some point I'm sure!" She said, grabbing me from behind and carrying me back to her car.

For the next hour and a half, I sat bored as I watched Keira painting. I could tell that she was looking for some type of advice or compliment from me, but the piece she was working on was uninspiring to say the least. Not that I told her that. It also felt like she had more to say to me. . . And eventually she did.

"So. . . What's your plan in all of this? You're just going to give up and go home this week?" She asked, out of nowhere while continuing to paint.


"Huh? . .yeah. I don't really want to, but it seemed like the only other option Edith was giving me. " I answered, purposely keeping it short.


She didn't seem satisfied with the answer.


"You know you're not alone right?!" She blurted out after a minute.


"I mean. . . I guess" I asked, confused.


"You are so caught up in your self-pity that you don't see that there are other ways! Like, what if you were to show us where the woman lives? That way, if Edith does take you there, we can just go and get you back!" Keira suggested, getting excited about her plan.


"Look. . . That isn't a bad plan, but I didn't get the impression that rescuing me was an acceptable outcome to her offer. I think if you guys did save me, she wouldn't bother to send me back. The next time, she would just crush me and be done with it." I explained, like I was some type of expert on Edith.



"So that's it then? You're just going to let her win? You're just going to go live with a family you don't want to be around for the rest of your life?" Keira asked, like I was somehow letting her down.


"I learned that it isn't about "letting them win" . You were right. . . Yesterday. . . That whole shit show WAS because I couldn't "let her win". I tried to kick her when she was down and she proved that I'm not ready to go toe to toe with her. Besides, I need to start thinking about how I'm gonna get back to my original height."


"What do you want to be your original height for? You were a little shrimp anyway!" Keira said, smirking. " I think you're cuter this way."



"Yeah well. . . Being cute doesn't outweigh getting my ass kicked every day." I informed her.


She was quiet, but continued to paint. A couple minutes later she addressed me.


"Hey. . ."


"Yeah?"


"I'm. . . Sorry I fucked with you when I got here. . ."


I said nothing.


"I thought. . . That crushing you physically was what I wanted. . . And that. . . Is what I had planned from the second that Cadence told me about you. . ." She began, and I could tell she was going to start crying.


"And. . . Yes, part of how I feel now. . Is because of what you've been through up to this point, you know. Like. . . "



"Keira. . You don't have to say anything about it. . " I assured her.


"No, Preston. I do. I was a serious bitch to you for no reason. I. . . Shouldn't have gone at you physically. Seeing how each encounter takes its toll on you. . . I'm ashamed to be a part of that." She stammered, as the tears began to flow.



"Keira. . . I'm not really good. . . At this emotional shit." I told her, trying to avoid wherever this thing was going.


"Neither am I" she admitted, her voice horse with emotion. "I. . . I just did so much to you. . That I can't take back!"



"Seriously, I'm not mad! I just don't want to do this mushy bullshit right now!" I assured her, before I stood up and walked away.


"You're such a little ass!" Keira huffed, when she saw that I was no longer standing close to her and sharing the moment. I heard her walking up behind me, before her long legs appeared in front of me, blocking my way.


I stopped dead as she crouched in front of me and took my shoulders gently in her hands.


"Will you. . Actually accept my apology this time?" Keira asked, staring me right in the eyes.


I could tell that this meant a lot to her. True, she had apologized countless times before for claiming my art. Even offered me gifts. At the time, I was just an arrogant, up and coming artist who thought I could treat her like shit because it was some God given right of mine. Now though, I could see the error of my ways plain as day.


". . .yeah. I accept your apology, ok? Just don't get all sappy about it!" I said, trying to get her big hands off my shoulders to no avail.


"Oh my God, thank you!" She squeeled and before I knew what was going on, I was whisked up to her full standing height, and hugged tightly into her chest.


I was only a little squished as Keira embraced me and let the tears flow from her eyes. This option far outweighed the other physical encounters I had had with her so far. . . . I mean, besides the fact that I wasn't a fan of her. . She was very attractive. . . And when she wasn't copying my style, she was a pretty good artist. Plus, I know I couldn't do it every day but, . . . I think I could stomach her personality maybe once a week, I guess. . . And she did smell really nice. .


I felt my tension melting away as Keira held me. In a way, this was therapeutic for both of us. So much so that neither of us heard Tess come walking into the shop.


"Am I interrupting something?" She asked smoothly, causing both myself and Keira to jump.


She immediately set me down and wiped her eyes. Her face was red with embarrassment.


"No need to be embarrassed, this is a definite improvement over how you guys have been treating each other lately!" Tess encouraged as she strutted by us and set her pack by her work area, before returning to regard us.


"So what's the occasion?" She asked, looking back and forth between us.


"Just trying to turn over a new leaf I guess. . " Keira alluded, playing coy as she walked back to her painting.


Tess feigned shock from being blown off, before she crouched in front of me.


"I suppose you're keeping secrets from me too now?" She asked, poking me gently in the stomach.


"No, but I need to talk to you. . . In private." I said, unconsciously keeping my voice low.


I followed Tess into the side room, where she picked me up and placed me on the desk, before sitting in the computer chair Keira kept in there.


"I'm. . . I'm going home this week." I said, not dragging it out any longer than it needed to be.


"Oh?" Tess replied, but as usual it was like she already knew. Once you got to know her, you got used to not being surprised by her out of this world intuition.


"And why the change of heart?" She asked, in her usual "I was right the entire time and you're just now seeing it" voice.


"Things. . Took several turns for the worse. . " I told her, shaking my head as I recalled everything


She was quiet, and I knew she was waiting for the story.

"Long story short, I MAY HAVE pissed Zoey off with a little video I sent her. . . And. . . Cadence's mom is threatening to deliver me back to Zoey, if I don't move out in the next week. " I said, quickly and quietly.

Tess raised an eyebrow, and it felt like I had irritated my mom or something.

"And what would possess you to do something foolish like send her ANYTHING?" She asked, in the standard "Tess tone".

I didn't answer. . . I didn't need to with her.

"And as for Cadence's mother. . . I don't know much about her, but I've heard rumors about the things she's done. Not somebody you want to cross. . "

We sat quiet as I took in the entirety of my situation.

"So when are you leaving then?" She asked after a moment.

"Well, Edith gave me a week. . ."

"Preston. . . Words can't describe how glad I am that you're alive and well, but I really think you shouldn't waste time and take a full week. Although I'm free tomorrow, I feel like Cadence should be the one who takes you home. "

I didn't respond. It didn't sound like we were discussing this at all.

"I know you aren't crazy about the idea, but you need to be reasonable!" Tess said, placing a finger under my chin, and making me look up at her.

I shoved her finger away, and was met with a scowl.

"Don't be a little brat about this! You're the one who wanted to talk to ME. I'm just telling you what I think." Tess said, pulling her hand away.

"Yeah well. . . . It's like. . . Voluntary giving up my freedom!" I explained.

"You need to try to get back to normal size Preston! This isn't a game. You can blame me or Cadence's mother or Zoey or whoever you want, but the fact of the matter is. . You're going home. You'll just have to be an adult and deal with it!" Tess snapped, standing up.

"Fine! I'll have Cadence take me back tomorrow!" I shouted, hoping it would hurt her feelings somehow to not be the one to take me home.

"Ok, that's fine. You better start thinking about what you're going to tell everyone." Tess said, before grabbing me and placing me back on the floor and walking out of the room.


I followed her out, and resumed my boredom as her and Keira painted for a few hours. I purposely stayed out of the conversations, which irritated Keira more than Tess.


"So what, you're just not going to talk to us?!" Keira demanded, glaring at me.

I shrugged my shoulders and looked away.

"He's pouting because I'm "making him" go home tomorrow." Tess interjected, like I was being childish.

"You're. . . Leaving? So soon anyway?" Keira asked, disappointment in her voice.

"Yeah, I guess. People aren't really giving me a choice." I said, spitefully.

"You're right! I'm not! But. . . I'm bigger than you, so that's what's happening!" Tess said, raising her voice but keeping her back to us.

Keira got a shocked look on her face and her mouth hung open.

"Are. . . Are you guys actually fighting?!" She asked, laughing.

"It's not a fight. It's me, guiding a little brat into doing the right thing!" Tess shot at me from across the room.

I fought back every urge to flip her off and just turned and walked to the window. About 20 minutes later, Tess spoke to Keira.

"It's about time you get Preston back to Cadence's. My stuff is already packed up so just meet me at the community center once you drop him off."

"Wait! . . . What if we brought Preston with?! I think he could really spread some inspiration with the beginners!" Keira exclaimed, as she packed up some of her painting supplies.


"No!" Both Tess and myself shouted in unison.

Keira gave us a look of disgust.

"Why not? I promise I won't let anyone fuck with him!" Keira said, annoyingly going over my head to ask Tess.

"Because! He is being a little twerp and shouldn't get rewarded for it!" She replied, trying to act mad, but I could tell it was just act to dissuade Keira.

"Ugh!. . . Fine. " Keira huffed, letting it go easier than I thought she would. "Let's get you home so you can pack your stuff and whatever!"


Being back in the apartment for what might be the last time was a strange feeling. . . It had become home now. Sure, there were definitely some not so good memories, but even if I didn't flat out say it to Cadence, it was a whole hell of a lot better than the previous situation.


"Do you want help packing? I know you're stuff is tiny, but I can load your paintings. . ." Keira offered as we walked in.


"No. . . I think I'll leave them here for now. . . Assuming they aren't going to get STOLEN and pawned off again!" I said, only half joking.


I knew Keira got the reference, but her face was not as I expected. Instead it was only worry. . .or empathy maybe. .


"You're. . Not going to tell your family the whole story. . . Are you?" She asked, her voice meek and quiet.


". . . . I. . ." I began.

In my mind, this really wasn't a big deal, but I guess it set her off. The next thing I knew she was on her knees, and bawling her eyes out. I instinctively took a step back and just let her cry, unsure if I even wanted to get involved. Unfortunately, I didn't have any choice as Cadence came stomping up behind me.


"What did you do to her!?" She yelled at me, going to Keira's side.


"I didn't do anything!" I said, defensively.


"He said. . . " Keira began, sobbing. "He said. . He isn't going to tell his family the truth!" She cried.


Cadence just looked up at me. The thing was. . . We had an understanding. She knew I was going to lie to my family, and she was prepared to lie for me.

"Well I mean. . ." Cadence began. . "He. . . It. . "

This only drove Keira further. She sprawled out on the floor and her volume just increased. A look of helplessness appeared on Cadence's face, but I didn't care. I just shrugged my shoulders and went to my room to get ready to leave. A few minutes later I heard Keira mop herself up and leave to go help Tess teach her class. Cadence told me she was going to pick up something for my last night with her. She was certain I was going to love it, but I had other things on my mind.




I didn't spend a lot of time thinking or dwelling on my time at Cadence's. Instead I thought about my different relationships with my own family. None of them were any I wanted to deal with at this size.


There was my dad Mark Sr. . . . .a typical high school jock back in the day.. He was quarterback in high school and his team one the state championship that we had to hear about constantly. Now, he owned his own successful construction company and in being successful, decided all of his children were to be held to the same high standard. That is where my problem with him lies.

My brother Mark and sister Janessa were the perfect children for him. Obedient, athletic and "intelligent". That being said, he thought he would just coast through my childhood like he had before but I was a rude awakening. I wasn't into sports. . . Which didn't matter because I wasn't athletic either.

Somehow I got my grandma's genes and as such I am much shorter than my mom dad brother and sister. I lacked their muscular build too. For whatever reason, my dad couldn't accept this and it drove a wedge between us. . . . And maybe not even a wedge. Maybe we were never close enough to be driven apart. . . It doesn't matter. Our relationship is not just dictated by what he does to me directly.

"Next is my mom, Katherine. . . Kat for short. She has much the same story as my dad. Basketball and track star in high school and my dad's high school sweetheart. My mom. . . Acted as a buffer between my father and I. She was more understanding of the fact that I didn't want to be exactly like them and often calmed my dad down when I made comments about his life choices. For that I was thankful. She had likely stopped my dad from strangling me more times than I knew.

Now my brother, Mark Jr. The Apple of my dad's eye. The spitting image of him. Their first child. I could go on and on about him but fuck that. I really didn't have that many good or bad memories with him. He is 10 years older than me, so by the time I was old enough to function as a human being, he was out of the house. Our relationship could be summed up by years of footballs and other sports gifts for my birthday and Christmas that never even got opened and often donated to other neighborhood kids. He didn't understand me, but it is what it is. We just existed in the same world. I have no real ill will towards him.


That wasn't the case for my older sister, Janessa. Jane or Janie for short. She was 4 years older than me and I will straight up say she is my least favorite family member for multiple reasons. Her stats are much the same as the others. Tall, strong, fast blah blah blah. Not a problem. . . . . If she likes you. Janessa doesn't like me. Even a little bit. To her I was just her scrawny, sarcastic, underachieving little brother who fought her influence at every turn.

For us, it all stems from my father's sibling philosophy. He believed that it's the responsibility of the older siblings to make sure the younger ones stay out of trouble and did well in school. Those types of things. Mark did it for Janessa without problems because they were the perfect sibling pair.

As for me, I really didn't care about academics. I knew I wanted to be an artist from day one and that none of what they were forcing down my throat was of any use to me. Enter Janessa. Not wanting to have any blemishes on her perfect standing with my parents, she constantly pushed me about my grades.

Here I was. I didn't like sports. I didn't like school. And I had a bad habit of writing checks my ass couldn't cash. I was uncharted territory for both dad and Jane and the latter didn't know how to deal with me. When I was younger, Janessa would just usually end up breaking down and doing my work for me for the most part just so she wouldn't get in trouble with dad. But. . . As I grew up and my attitude got worse, things changed from "Do your homework or you're not watching cartoons" to "Do your homework or I'm going to kick your little ass!"

It really is hard to fight when you have no athletic ability and painters arms. I'm sorry to say that I spent most of middle school and freshman year as Janessa's punching bag. At least when I was young, she was just "picking on her little brother." Her and her friends used to barge into my designated painting room, hold me down, and paint all over me with washable paint. Once I was older though. . . She permanently decided that I was a little asshole and there was nothing I could do if she chose to pummel me whenever our parents weren't home. This continued up until she went off to college but luckily I wasn't alone.


Finally there is Tegan. The stereotypical daddy's little girl. Like me, she didn't get the genes for height and she wasn't into sports either. She was about the girliest girl I have ever seen. This is why we bonded through childhood. Not only were we the closest in age at only 2 years apart, but neither of us fit the established family norm. As such, she was just as much a target for Jane as I was and Janessa didn't pull any punches when it came to her. Our summers were spent dealing with Jane's iron fist politics and the school year wasn't any better. I wasn't about to police Tegan on her grades so Janessa harassed us both. We only had each other.

Unfortunately, our bond didn't last. As I became more self aware, I noticed that my darling little sister seemed vain and snobbish to her peers. When I called her out on it, she pointed out how much of a pompous, self centered prick I was to everyone and that is where our rift began. When she got to high school, things elevated 10fold. At home, we were constantly at each other's throats. At school, we were always trying to make the other look dumb. It got so bad that eventually my dad made my sister move her bedroom from next to mine in the basement, all the way to the 2nd floor, as far away from me as possible.

All that family bullshit and that is what I was on my way back to. . . . I thought I had simplified my life by running away from them all, but now with Zoey lurking out there somewhere. . I had no choice.



All these thoughts were going through my head as I painted what would probably be my last painting at Cadence's place. The studio was dead silent, but I was so focused on these thoughts that I really didn't notice Keira come in the front door at some point. I really didn't notice her talking to somebody. I really didn't notice her sliding the studio door all the way open. . . .




"This is the studio, it's pretty amazing! Cadence only buys the best of everything for it. . . Oh!. . . " Keira said, stopping her sentence dead as she saw me. "This is my roommate Preston. . . He uhhh. . . Has a little condition. . No pun intended. . . It really isn't a laughing matter. " She said, her voice taking on a saddened tone.



For the first time, I was aware of my surroundings and what I saw made my blood run cold. . .



Standing next to Keira in old paint covered overalls was Zoey.


It. . . It honestly took everything I had not to buckle at the knees as the two women approached me. There was a split second where the true Zoey locked eyes with me, before she put on her mask and went to work. Zoey was. . . Zoe. . She began expertly playing the part of anyone seeing a shrunken human for the first time. Her eyes lit up, and she somehow created genuine wonder to my situation. Her acting was so good that it actually terrorized me.


The next 2 minutes were a torrent of the appropriate questions for someone just meeting me. I stood silent, paralyzed by shock and fear to the point where Keira began answering for me if for no other reason than to just not look stupid in front of her guest.



"He umm. . . He usually isn't this quiet. . What's wrong Prest-


Just then, Keira's phone rang. She took it out, and her face showed regret.


"Shit! I. . REALLY need to take this! It's a gallery I've been trying to get in forever! Just uhh. . . Just stay here! I'll be back. . . And I'll grab that paint that is up in my room.


At that moment, every nightmare I had endured since escaping Zoey's apartment was realized as Keira turned and left. Every step she took, Zoey seemed to get bigger and bigger until Keira was gone and I was left with the monster that haunts the deepest thoughts of my mind.


Exactly as I expected, as soon as Keira was gone, the real Zoey emerged. The pleasant demeanor ceased, and as she stepped up to me, her trademark smirk shown. As she crouched down to confront me, I nearly toppled over backwards and I began to hyperventilate. Flashbacks of this very scenario played before my eyes as I relived every "mistreatment" she had ever bestowed upon me.


"Well, well, well. . . Long time no see!" She said, grinning.